Wyze

Written by
Author picture
Edited by

About Wyze

Wyze is a tech company that aims to make advanced technology more accessible for everyone. It’s known for its smart home systems, but it sells a variety of other products — like smart scales, lighting systems and vacuums. The company offers both professional and self-monitoring options.

Pros & Cons

Pros
    • Affordable starting price
    • Customizable
    • Free DIY option
    Cons
    • Confusing pricing
    • Cam Plus required for most camera features

What is Wyze?

Wyze is a smart home technology company that sells everything from smart home cameras and lighting to smart scales and robot vacuums. Other companies have huge markups for this type of technology, but Wyze offers relatively affordable and accessible options. It offers a free do-it-yourself monitoring option, which is ideal for customers who want a basic security system. There is also a professional monitoring option and a wide variety of equipment that can create a customized security system for any home.

Wyze products

Wyze monitoring

Wyze offers several types of security monitoring: an unmonitored plan, Cam Plus, Cam Protect and Home Monitoring.

Let’s cover the differences between the unmonitored plan and Cam Plus first. The unmonitored plan is free and includes real-time DIY monitoring, but that’s about it. The Cam Plus plan is for individuals and families who want more out of their security system — its features include unlimited video recording and environmental monitoring.

Cam Protect is a step up from Cam Plus. It includes everything in Cam Plus as well as facial recognition technology and 24/7 professional video monitoring backed by live agents. This plan costs $3.33 per month per camera.

Finally, there’s Home Monitoring. This plan features 24/7 professional monitoring in partnership with Noonlight. It costs $8.33 per month and comes with some free equipment and a discount for purchasing additional products for your system.

Wyze price

Wyze is extremely customizable in terms of cost. The starting price is affordable for most — a minimalist system including a Wyze sense hub and entry sensors costs $53.98 at the time of publishing.

Another option is to sign up for Home Monitoring. In this case, $99.99/year gets you professional monitoring, with a Wyze sense hub, motion sensor and keypad thrown in for free. That price also includes 40% off additional items purchased for your system.

Creating a customized system, even with 40% off, can increase the cost of your security system pretty fast. That said, Wyze is likely still more affordable than many competitors for what you get.

Wyze FAQ

What’s the difference between the Wyze app and Wyze home monitoring service?

The Wyze app is how you’ll access the Wyze monitoring service. It’s pretty limited in scope and doesn’t offer many additional features unless you pay for add-on services like Cam Plus or professional monitoring.

Does Wyze have a contract?

No, and you can cancel at any time. If you pay yearly rather than monthly, you’ll continue to receive service until the pay period is complete. There are no refunds if you choose this option, though.

What is Wyze’s cancellation policy?

After your first purchase, you have 30 days to get a full refund. After this point, you can cancel at any time. Your plan will stay active until the end of the pay period, meaning you won’t get a refund and will have service until the end of the paid period if you pay yearly.

Who monitors Wyze?

Wyze partners with Noonlight, a professional monitoring company, to monitor its systems. Its dispatchers are on standby 24/7 to route vital information to 911 call-takers and first responders.

Does Wyze work with Google products?

Yes. You can control your system with Google Assistant and watch footage through Google Chromecast or your smart-home hub. Wyze also offers integrations with Amazon Alexa and IFTTT.

Is wyze good?

Wyze is a good option for those who need simple security solutions. The company offers a wide variety of products and makes it easy to customize your home security system. If you have a big house or want a lot of cameras, then its plans and pricing will get more expensive. We recommend first identifying what you want from your security system — if your needs are fairly simple, Wyze is likely a solid choice.

Wyze Reviews

Stars Rating

• 1%
    • 0%
    • 0%
    • 1%
    • 97%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wyze?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wyze?

Reviewed May 2, 2024

This company is not concerned about the their customers. No refunds if you pay a year subscription even when the products fail one month in after warranty expired. Won’t talk to you. Only email you what they WON'T do to help you.

Reviewed April 21, 2024

Worst cameras ever! Would not recommend this brand! Instead of capturing people walking up my driveway it’s capturing leaves moving - or shadows from the trees.. I have several different types of cameras, and this is by far the worst!

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Profile pic of the author.
        Camera & VideoSmart Devices

Reviewed April 7, 2024

Wyze cameras are not secured and are being interrupted by crooks using jamming devices. So, be careful about what you buy to monitor your property. Even the plugs and other wyze products are so vulnerable. Wyze expects you to pay some sort of subscription and they do not recognize the storage cards like Sandusky unless you buy from them. Not sure if they enable a switch. I tried using various sandisk on various wyze cameras I have. I would not recommend those security WiFi cameras and other products from Wyze.

Profile pic of the author.
        Verified purchase

Reviewed March 7, 2024

Issues every month. Very hard to contact them. When you do contact them send you on wild goose chase wasting your time 3 months in a row. Get sick of it. Want refund. Only offer credit. Don't buy. You'll regret.

Installation & SetupOnline & App

Reviewed Feb. 11, 2024

I purchased the Wyze home security system online. Upon attempting to install the equipment, I was instructed by Wyze to install their app on my phone. I did and do not wish to control the app by my phone. However, followed the instructions for a "free" account. Upon initiation of the installation of the free app, I was instructed to provide credit card information, which I reluctantly did. I was immediately notified by my financial institution that four fraudulent charges had been made on my card. I verified that upon installation of the Wyze app, my credit card received multiple fraudulent charges, none of which were related to Wyze home security. In other words, they sold my information to third parties, without my permission, all before installing their app. I will be returning the equipment to Wyze and consider them a scheming and fraudulent company. Why would I trust my home security to someone so unscrupulous?

Reviewed Feb. 1, 2024

Had 2 cameras and no problems, they decided I needed to update my app which I did and both cameras stopped working at the same time. Tried any and everything, uninstalled, reinstalled, nothing worked, pure junk! Would recommend paying a little more and go with a reputable company.

Reviewed Dec. 26, 2023

Pure junk! Took it out of the box and it worked once then stopped working. I tried to reset to factory settings, again, it did not work! I called customer support and they said "sorry".... Brand new junk in the box! Do not buy. Forewarned.

Reviewed Dec. 23, 2023

I was originally given two of the Cam 2 cameras for a Christmas present. One died a year or two later so I ordered two more and now another has died. That is a 50% failure rate. The amount of "firm ware" updates is unreal. You almost need to update your cameras several times a week just to make sure you are up to date. Beware that when you do download the updates, the cameras may quit working as that has been my experience. Don't bother contacting customer service. They go right down the line of unplugging and hitting the restart button which does not work but it makes them happy they tried. I would advise staying away from this company and their cheap products, they do not support them nor do they back them up when they fail which is often.

Customer ServiceCamera & VideoSales & Marketing

Reviewed Dec. 15, 2023

Cameras work well, but the Wyze App security plans are a scam. The App suggested that I upgrade plans due to the number of cameras I have. They upgraded my plan on 12/09/2023. Then instead of replacing the existing plan they charged me for a full year on the new plan in the amount of 107.66 in 12/11/2023 and then for the old subscription the amount of 108.74 on 12/14/2023 when that subscription was to be cancelled and replaced by the new. They will not credit me back and everyone I speak with tells me all sales are final. Poor customer service. Also with a language barrier the conversations are hard to get through. If you buy these cameras self monitor only. Do not pay for subscriptions.

Reviewed Nov. 24, 2023

Starts out fine but nothing lasts. Been through 3 cameras and two base stations. Base stations have been out of stock for 6 months rendering systems needing replacement useless. Cannot recommend these products! You get what you pay for. Sometimes.

Don't like scammers? You won't like burglars either. See your best security system.

Wyze Company Information