Canary

Written by
Author picture
Edited by

About Canary

Canary is a do-it-yourself home security system that focuses on video monitoring. The company offers a free, basic self-monitoring option. Homeowners can choose to upgrade their plan for more protection, including video storage and one-touch first responder access.

Pros & Cons

Pros
    • Free monitoring option
    Cons
    • Customer service not easy to contact
    • Limited variety of products

What is Canary?

Canary offers a home security system that is focused on video surveillance. The company’s three main products each feature video capture, as well as accessories that make it easy to hide a camera in unexpected locations.

Canary is compatible with Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa and the Wink home automation system. It can also help monitor pets while you’re away from home.

Canary monitoring

Canary offers three service options: Basic, Premium and Pro Monitoring

Basic service costs nothing but is limited. It includes:

• 24/7 alarm monitoring

• 30-day video history
    • Full-length video recordings
    • Unlimited video downloads
    • Desktop streaming

Pro Monitoring is a professional monitoring service that costs $9.99 per month. It includes:

• 24/7 alarm monitoring by certified experts
    • Instant text/call notifications when threat is detected
    • Alarms confirmed by trained expert
    • Intelligent video verification
    • First responders dispatched on your behalf
    • No contract
    • Money-back guarantee

Canary pricing and packages

Canary has three systems to choose from: Canary View, Canary Pro and Canary Flex. The exact cost for each depends on the level of monitoring you sign up for and whether or not you sign a 24-month contract.

• Canary View: The Canary View costs $99 with no contract or $0 when you sign a 24-month contract that includes professional monitoring. This system comes with 1080p high-definition video. It has high-quality, automatic night vision and a wide-angle lens.
    • Canary Pro: The Canary Pro costs $169 with no contract or $0 when you sign a 24-month contract that includes professional monitoring. This all-in-one device provides total home security. Along with the HD camera, it comes with a 90-decibel siren and a climate monitor. Homeowners can activate the siren from their phone in case of a burglary. The Pro can also inform you of your home’s air quality, temperature and humidity.
    • Canary Flex: The Canary Flex is $199 and does not come with a 24-month contract option. This security camera is suitable for indoor and outdoor use. It’s waterproof and can be wireless. It uses lithium-ion rechargeable batteries and comes with automatic night vision and a wide-angle lens.

Canary FAQ

Does Canary come with home automation?

Canary doesn’t have home automation features itself. It does integrate with the Wink home automation system, Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa.

Does Canary require a subscription?

Canary doesn’t require a subscription. However, many good features like video storage, desktop streaming and person detection require a premium subscription.

Does Canary need to be plugged in?

It depends on the model. The Canary View and Pro need to be plugged in, but The Flex does not.

Does Canary work with Ring?

Canary is not compatible with Ring. Homeowners must use Canary products.

Does the Canary camera record sound?

Yes, the Canary camera records sound. When there’s motion detected, Canary will record both video and audio in HD.

How do you contact Canary customer service?

Canary has a help center with several articles to help customers who are having issues. If your question isn’t answered there, you can ask the community or open a ticket with customer service.

Is Canary a good security system?

Canary is a very basic security system that focuses entirely on video and audio. It’s missing many of the devices you see in other home security systems, such as window and door sensors, glass break sensors and more. The company may be a good choice for those who want a very basic system. Otherwise, you might want to consider a more comprehensive security system before choosing Canary.

Canary Reviews

Stars Rating

• 100%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Canary?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Canary?
      Customer Service

Reviewed June 19, 2024

What a slimy company. Canary billed me after I asked to cancel. And then the day I noticed the charges on my card, I called and emailed to ask for a refund. They said no refunds. This company is so bad, and their customer service is so awful, that this is the only way they can continue to make revenue. By ripping people off and not giving a refund one day after the card was charged. Their answer was they would give me 50% off if I signed up on the spot for 2 years. Ridiculous. Do not do business with these liars. Once they have your credit card, they will just keep charging you. Sometimes just do the right thing Canary. You’ll be a better company, and maybe your employees would feel better about themselves, knowing they don’t have to just rip people off.

Reviewed May 23, 2024

Canary is horrible and once you get into it you cannot get out. They are crooks. Just saying. The thing never works as good as you think it would. Believe me you do not want this service because it’s way more trouble than it’s worth.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Reviewed May 6, 2024

I was told I would get a 50 percent discount when I renewed and then was charged 200 dollars. When I contacted them they said they could give a 30 dollar refund and 50 percent next time. Not a fan of lies.

Reviewed April 27, 2024

Absolutely ridiculous. They charge you an outrageous rate when the unit only works part time. Then you have camera stolen and haven't used it in over a year and are told, "Sorry but we will cancel once paid." Do they cancel service after your year, nooo. They continue to charge you and refuse to work with you. I was literally just told they will NOT cancel my service and will continue to charge me until balance is paid so it's a vicious cycle where they are the only winners. They need a class action lawsuit for their scandalous ways of getting money from consumers.

Customer ServiceCamera & Video

Reviewed April 10, 2024

If you're reading this, do yourself a favor - find another solution. Customer of 6 years. The hardware itself worked ok. Video quality not great, but also not terrible. Only real issue is sometimes has issues connecting form phone. But the one time I needed support after 6 years of being a paying customer, they metaphorically ran me over and left me like roadkill.

Reviewed Jan. 4, 2024

Please don't waste your time buying a Canary. Long story short, I purchased a Canary and it worked for about a year until the day I was burgled when it went offline! We tried to get the Canary to work, they even sent me a new camera and it wouldn't connect so I canceled the membership and got a refund. Fast forward a year and I decide it's time to get a new security system and think, let's try the Canary one more time. So we connected it and I paid for Premium Membership. It set up for about a day and then kept disconnecting.

I spent days online working with support to get it to work going through all of their efforts over and over again. It wouldn't work so they "escalated" the ticket. No one contacted me, then Christmas came and when I reached out again they said they couldn't refund me as it was post 14 days of purchase! They wanted me to try to connect the camera again. What a waste of time and effort. Just don't buy it.

Profile pic of the author.
        Customer ServiceSales & Marketing

Reviewed Dec. 15, 2023

I cancelled my premium service over a year ago and apparently I was still charged for premium service. Two years ago I transferred my service to my new address at that time but apparently they kept both addresses as using premium services with only one device. I spoke to customer service (George) who apparently is the manager, CEO, tech support and everything else.

He acknowledged that I changed my address but refused to refund my money. Why would someone have security service at an address without a device present? This company is a complete ripoff and George is a professional scam artist. Buyers beware DO NOT buy Canary premium services or you'll risk being charged for years to come even after you've cancelled! I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY!

Reviewed Dec. 14, 2023

This is the worst service and camera I have ever used. Notifications can take 10 minutes to receive if you even receive it. The camera only records maybe a 10th of the motion events. Worthless for any kind of security. Customer support is terrible, technical support is even worse. Premium service is useless, camera is even more useless without Premium service.

Verified purchase
        Customer Service

Reviewed Aug. 16, 2023

I canceled the product a year ago. Apparently they are still charging me yearly. Even with an email proof about it they tell me they can't find it and won't give me a refund. They won't budge but will try to give you every discount they can instead of your money back. They don't care if they took the last of your money so you can't feed your family. I will never recommend them and will do everything I can to make it known to not purchase their products.

Customer ServiceMonitoringContract & TermsCamera & VideoOnline & AppReliability

Reviewed July 3, 2023

It is very difficult to reach a service agent, my issue has repetitively been ignored and when I asked for my subscription to be canceled and refunded only a day after it was automatically renewed, I was denied. The cost of this service has risen significantly since I first signed up and the reliability of the service has dangerously diminished. I am very unhappy with the service and can't wait until this years subscription is over so I can switch over to a service that actually works.

This service never works when I need it to. Just this past week alone, I had outages at two crucial times. One evening we had people walking down our block stealing catalytic converters and trying door handles on cars. All of my neighbors were abuzz as they all caught them on their security cameras (none of them using Canary). As I have experienced countless times before, I had no videos at all from that time period even though my neighbors across the street have video of someone in my driveway, just feet from my camera. Any time I've been able to contact a customer service agent, which is rare, all they can suggest I do is delete the app and reinstall it. In this particular case, once I deleted the app and reinstalled it, there were more videos than I was able to see prior to the reinstallation, but still none within the 3 hours the thugs were walking and driving down my block and walking up and down my driveway.

A second occurrence just this past week; as I pulled up to my house I noticed a suspicious vehicle sitting directly in front, broad daylight, within clear view of TWO Canary cameras which mind you I keep plugged in to ensure the batteries do not die. As soon as I pulled up the suspicious vehicle drove off. I was able to note the make, model and license plate of the vehicle but as usual, the cameras did not work. I only got a video of them driving off as I pulled up behind them. I have no idea what time the vehicle got there or how long it was there as the service failed me, yet again. For all I know, they were walking around on my front lawn looking through my windows.

This service is simply unreliable. They should not be charging people what they charge. It's an absolute rip off, maybe even a breach of contract as they are selling a level of security monitoring that I can prove they can not provide. And the fact that my service was not canceled and my money refunded when requested, is unreasonable. It makes me think that this company has little to no faith in their own service and that they are reliant on their policy of not canceling subscriptions after they automatically renew, to make money. I know of no other company that provides a subscription service that would not cancel and refund an unhappy customer.

This policy is inconsistent with industry norms. I have no idea how often the service blacks out. There is no way for me to know when it's not working. I am so afraid, God forbid, that this service won't work when I truly need it to. Should my property ever be damaged, robbed or my home invaded, I will sue the pants off of this company.

Don't like scammers? You won't like burglars either. See your best security system.

Canary Company Information