4.52/5
Based on 3,114 ratings

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

LifeShield, an ADT company, is a pioneer in DIY smart home security offering Wi-Fi-enabled security products that are compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. Homeowners and renters can choose from three security systems or build their own custom security system to fit their needs. Low, optional monthly monitoring starts at $19.99 per month to $24.98 per month plus tax.

BOTTOM LINE

LifeShield’s flexible plans allow you to choose a month-to-month or long-term contract. Some of the add-on equipment isn’t cheap, but the plans are affordable.

PROS

• 30-day money-back guarantee
  • Month-to-month options
  • Affordable plan options

CONS

• Some equipment is pricey

Top LifeShield Security Reviews

Whenever I must call LifeShield, I always get the most pleasant and helpful technicians. I am not very computer savvy so the situation is always explained in terms that I understand and that enable me to correct the problem. I am enjoying my partnership with LifeShield.

We are very happy with our system. Once we had the whole system installed it worked like a charm. We set the system up as we would want it and not as some companies do. It does everything we want. Customer Service was wonderful. We look forward to using it for years to come.

What is LifeShield?

LifeShield is an ADT provider, so they sell, install and professionally monitor ADT equipment. Every system comes with a 30-day money back guarantee, allowing you to try LifeShield with limited risk. The money-back guarantee covers the activation fee and any shipping or upfront costs. You can set up LifeShield yourself or have a professional do the job. However, LifeShield does require a credit check.

LifeShield uses redundant connectivity, so a backup connection is always available. The four lines of connection are Wi-Fi, cell, text and landlines. 24-hour battery backup also works to keep your system connected to three monitoring centers backed up by two generators. When an alert is triggered, these monitoring centers immediately alert the customer. LifeShield also uses Smash and Crash technology, so if a thief smashes in the keypad on the LifeShield Base, the base will stay connected and keep working to alert the right people. The LifeShield app adds a lot of functionality; including, arming and disarming the system, streaming security video, and custom alerts.

LifeShield prices

There are three LifeShield home security plans. The SHIELD system is the most basic and affordable plan. The Doorbell camera system plan has a higher cost, but a greater level of technology and additional features. The SECURE system plan is a compromise between the two.

LifeShield has offered specials on pricing in the past. For example, they have given a year of free monitoring before, so it’s worth asking a representative if they have any deals available to help lower the LifeShield cost.

PlanMonitoring costEquipment cost
SHIELD system$19.99/mo$199.95
SECURE System$24.98/mo$295.12
Doorbell Camera System$24.98/mo$346.34

LifeShield plans

You have a choice between a 3-year contract or pay month-to-month. The month-to-month option costs more but allows for more flexibility. The 3-year contract is a good deal, especially if you are planning to need a security system for a prolonged amount of time. Smart home automation is available for all plans. In addition to the 3 plans below, you can also build your own customizable system.

The SHIELD system plan is LifeShield’s base package. It’s best for those with homes of 950 to 1500 square feet. The package includes:

• 4 door and window sensors
  • Motion sensor
  • Fire sensor
  • 4 windows stickers

The SECURE system plan is best for homes 1,500 to 2,000 square feet. The package comes with:

• Indoor camera
  • 6 door and window sensors
  • 2 motion sensors
  • Fire sensor
  • 4 window stickers
  • Mobile app use

The Doorbell camera system package is the most advanced of all the plans. It works well for homes larger than 2,000 square feet. The package has:

• HD video doorbell
  • 2 door and window sensors
  • Motion sensor
  • 4 window stickers
  • Mobile app use

LifeShield equipment

You can customize your security system by purchasing additional equipment from LifeShield. An equipment warranty provides protection throughout the life of your contract. One unique feature from LifeShield is Z-wave radio that allows you to integrate other equipment like thermostats, garage door openers or sirens with your LifeShield security system. Several LifeShield products are available for sale on top of whatever plan you purchase:

• Base
  • Security touchpad
  • Indoor and outdoor smart cameras
  • HD video doorbell
  • Glass break sensors
  • Flood sensors
  • Window stickers
  • 30-day cloud video storage

Home automation is available with every LifeShield plan. LifeShield systems can work with Z-Wave Plus devices, IFTTT, Google Assistant and Alexa. With these compatible devices, you can:

• Open and close your garage door
  • Control smart thermostats
  • Turn smart outlets on and off
  • Dim lights or turn them on or off
  • Lock and unlock smart locks

Do we recommend LifeShield?

We recommend LifeShield. We love that you can choose between a month-to-month plan or a long-term LifeShield contract. Some of their equipment like the flood and freeze sensors are pricey; but, other hardware like door sensors, window sensors and motion sensors are a bargain. Their base plan is affordable, and their Doorbell camera system plan offers comprehensive security without breaking the bank.

LifeShield Security Reviews

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

Nice products with an easy setup. Had a great ordering experience as I had to call in because the website was not functioning. Be careful as they hit your credit card with a $21.26 monthly monitoring charge even if you tell them you do not want it. They don't do self-monitored systems if you call them on the phone, that is what I was told. - Took three phone calls and they only refunded one of the three months. I would still tell you to get the system. Just watch your credit card statement.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I would NEVER recommend anyone buy anything from this company. We ordered a system that could not be installed, their product didn't work, I sent it back after they gave me approval and a shipping label. Now they are saying "Too bad it was after 30 days." Finally I found someone who said they would because of the circumstances. After talking with their account specialist they said it would be 14 days after they received the product back before the refund would come. It didn't, so I called and got this answer. "As a courtesy we cancelled your contract but we will not refund your original cost!". Even though they have the product now.

When I first signed up with them they said my 76 year old mom could set up the system. Not the case. I live 500 miles away and by the time I got there to set it up it was about 20 days in. I spent 3 days and about 6 hours working with their tech support to get it to work. I even increased my internet speed and had my internet provider open 'ports' on my router, making it less secure just so their system would work. That didn't work either. They just continued to blame my isp and gave up trying to get it to activate. So now they have their crappy product back and I'm out $200! What a scam! Some companies do what's right but not LifeShield!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

This system is the best out there, the customer is also AMAZING. I called with a question they were super helpful and solved my issue. I love their tech and security touchpad. It's also really nice that it communicates through ethernet on my network AND cellular backup.

Original review: July 30, 2019

This company has been bad news from the beginning. Getting the system took a month, then there were nothing but equipment errors. I finally disconnected informing them that I no longer wanted their services. They refused to give an address to return their equipment. Finally, I sent it back at my own expense but they still act like they are providing me services.

Original review: July 18, 2019

Cancelling and returning my system. Tech support can’t tell me why my cameras won’t work even though I am following setup to a tee and got with Spectrum (my internet provider) to ensure all needed ports were open and my IP Address was static and not dynamic. The camera still says it’s “shipping” and won’t connect to my internet. I’ve spent 3 hours on the phone with support so far rebooting the base, my router, and the camera over and over and over and over in all different orders and STILL the system won’t work.

I asked them to send out a tech to look at the problem since they can’t seem to help me via phone and said they would gladly send a tech for $200 charge to me! No thank you! I will just return your system that doesn’t work. Also keep in mind that I am very tech savvy, so it’s not like I don’t know what I’m doing. Also the door sensor stopped working properly after only one day in use. You get what you pay for and with this company what you get is nothing. So I will pay nothing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LifeShield, An ADT Company?

Original review: July 5, 2019

I purchased a system from LifeShield because of the no contract/cancel anytime ability that they advertise. After calls with customer service I found that this is not the case. I cannot cancel without sending my equipment back because they "do not offer self monitoring." Someone is almost always home and awake in my household so I wanted to cancel the monitoring because the system isn't being used at all anyways.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

My husband was laid off in July. We had to look at our bills and see how we could make some cuts. We discontinued service with LifeShield. The person we talked to was very nice and confirmed the cancellation, they would stop charging our card and send a box and shipping label to return the unit (as soon as service was discontinued the battery on the keypad exploded). We waited for the label/box... Never came... Come December what we did get was a charge to our credit card for $485.00. This charge was devastating to us... How can you not see your records and know that a label/box was never provided and charge a credit card 5 months later. Seems like a scam. We contacted the company, they provided a label (no box). We returned the equipment, but no refund. What is going on with this company. I want to resolve this issue with Lifeshield.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

LifeShield was recommended by my Fiance's sister so we went ahead and ordered the system. Our house is fairly large so after the initial install many of the sensors weren’t reading. We also had significant issues with the window sensors not matching up. We ordered a wifi extender which we assumed would fix the sensor issue. After spending $400, we were told that you had to use a LifeShield repeater. They sent the repeater, which fixed some of the sensors but not all of them. Then we were told they had to send spacers to make the window sensors work. Keep in mind all of this has taken about 30 days (apparently there is only a 30 day trial period). Just this week with the cold temperatures the sensors started falling off of the windows and doors.

We had two false burglar alarms and now have a bill from the local police because the sticky tape is faulty. I reached out to LifeShield to give them the benefit of the doubt...send a tech to fix things...or cancel my account. They proceeded to tell me I am out of my 30 day window (which FYI was their fault) and I would have to pay a cancellation charge. I was also told during the purchase that they could send someone to assist if I need it. This is the biggest scam of a company ever. Never do business with them again, it’s a total fraud.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I've noticed that there are some other people experienced the same thing as I did. I've been their customer since 2013 but I've decided to cancel the system as they are expensive compared to some other options. I decided to use self monitoring system and I called them to cancel. Despite that fact I was told earlier that I called them earlier and been told I could cancel anytime I want without being charged, I was told that they would charge me an early termination fee because my contract automatically renews for 12 months. This as I can see from other reviewers is very deceiving.

They offered to lower the monthly fee which would in total cheaper than paying the early termination fee. However, they didn't cancel my contract saying that I had to call back again after 6 months to cancel... As a result, I ended up paying again extra for server I have not been being almost a year... The whole interaction was extremely frustrating. Since there are so many cheaper and better options, I certainly don't recommend to use their system. They should have informed me about those terms when the contract is auto renewing. I would stay away from them.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

5 years ago in 2013 I signed in a contract for 5 years and I was never told that the contract will auto renew automatically, I called LifeShield couple of weeks ago to ask for the date when my contract will expire. I was told that my contract expired on October and it autorenew for one year, this is ridiculous and why not trying to contact the customer via email or phone call to let them know about the contract is expiring and give the customer the choice to renew or opt out specifically after 5 years contract. I asked them to cancel my service and I was told I have to pay a early cancellation fee $390. This is unacceptable. I will never do business with LifeShield and I never will recommend this company. LifeShield is a rip off. They don't value the customers.

LifeShield Security Company Information