ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Formerly named LifeShield Security

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.52/5
Based on 3,115 ratings

Blue by ADT, formerly LifeShield, is a pioneer in DIY smart home security. It offers Wi-Fi-enabled security products that are compatible with Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, Z-Wave Plus and IFTTT. Homeowners and renters can choose from three security systems or build a custom security system to fit their needs. Optional monthly monitoring starts at $19.99 per month.

BOTTOM LINE

Blue by ADT’s flexible plans allow you to choose a month-to-month or long-term contract. Some of the add-on equipment isn’t cheap, but the plans are affordable.

PROS

• Month-to-month options
  • 30-day money-back guarantee
  • Affordable plans

CONS

• Some equipment is pricey

Top Blue by ADT Reviews

This system is the best out there … I called with a question they were super helpful and solved my issue. I love their tech and security touchpad. It's also really nice that it communicates through ethernet on my network AND cellular backup.

… No contract and much more affordable than their competitors. Received all the equipment I ordered, and set up the system myself. Called LifeShield tech support a few times who were happy to help, knowledgeable and courteous. I would recommend …

What is Blue by ADT?

ADT and LifeShield merged in 2020 to become Blue by ADT, a smart, wireless home security system for renters and homeowners. Customers can select from several security systems or design their own with indoor, outdoor and doorbell cameras. The company's monitored and unmonitored security systems are easy to install and set up. All systems come with 30 days of free monitoring service so you can try the service with limited risk.

How does Blue by ADT work?

Blue DIY security systems send push notifications through a mobile app when the alarm is triggered. Through the mobile app, you can arm and disarm the system, stream security video footage and customize your alert preferences. You can also communicate with visitors using the HD video doorbells’ two-way talk feature. If you choose a professional monitoring plan, the emergency response specialists also notify local authorities.

Blue uses redundant connectivity, so a backup connection is always available. A 24-hour battery backup keeps your system connected to three monitoring centers backed up by two generators. Blue also uses smash and crash technology — if a thief smashes in the keypad on the security base, the system stays connected and keeps working to alert the right people.

Blue by ADT security system prices

Blue by ADT offers three home security packages that range from $119.15 to $346.34 for equipment costs, or you can design your own. Self-monitoring is free with these home security plans, or you can opt into a professional monitoring plan for $19.99 per month. All home security packages include one month of free monitoring and a 30-day money-back guarantee.

Build Your Own System
The Build Your Own System option is a simple way to build a perfect security system. The price for this system varies based on the components you choose, but you can get an estimate on the company's website. It starts with a base hub, entry keypad, mobile app, yard sign and four window stickers.
11-Piece System
This easy-to-install, 11-piece smart home security system costs $199.15. It includes a base hub, an entry keypad, the mobile app, four door/window sensors, a fire safety sensor, a keychain remote, a yard sign and four window stickers.
15-Piece Camera System
This smart security camera system costs $295.12 and lets you see what’s going on in your home no matter where you are. The 15-Piece Camera System includes a base hub, an entry keypad, the mobile app, an indoor camera, six door/window sensors, two motion sensors, fire safety sensors, a keychain remote, a yard sign and four window stickers.
Eight-Piece Doorbell Camera System
This system costs $346.43 and lets you communicate with visitors remotely with two-way talk. It also has night vision and alerts you with instant notifications. The 8-Piece Doorbell Camera System includes the base hub, an entry keypad, the mobile app, an HD video doorbell, two door/window sensors, a motion sensor, a yard sign and four window stickers.

Additional Blue by ADT equipment

You can customize your security system by purchasing additional equipment from Blue by ADT. The home security systems use Z-Wave, which allows you to integrate smart devices like thermostats, garage door openers or sirens. Several sensors, cameras and add-on components are available to customize your home security.

Senors
Blue by ADT sells several sensors to keep you aware of what's happening in your home.
  • Door/window sensor: $8.99
  • Motion sensor: $29.99
  • Fire safety sensor: $20.99
  • Glass break sensor: $29.99
  • Temperature/flood sensor: $29.99
Cameras
Blue by ADT's cameras let you monitor your home remotely through the company's app.
  • Doorbell camera: $199.99
  • Indoor camera: $199.99
  • Outdoor camera: $199.99
  • HD video doorbell: $199.99
  • Indoor smart camera: $59.99
  • Outdoor camera: $149.99
Add-on devices
The company offers additional equipment that makes it easier to operate your system or alert potential intruders that your home is protected.
  • Entry keypad: $35.99
  • Yard sign: $7.79
  • Four window stickers: $1.20
  • Blue extender + Chime: $49.99
  • Keychain remote: $14.99

Do we recommend Blue by ADT?

Yes, we recommend Blue by ADT. We love that you can choose between a monitored or unmonitored plan, and the wireless equipment is perfect for consumers who rent their homes. The base plan is affordable, and the company's upgrades offer comprehensive security without breaking the bank. Some of its equipment may be a little pricey, but the freedom Blue by ADT offers helps you save money if you need to change or cancel a plan.

Blue by ADT Reviews

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

Signed up for LifeShield, ADT,s DIY security system. No contract and much more affordable than their competitors. Received all the equipment I ordered, and set up the system myself. Called LifeShield tech. Support a few times who were happy to help, knowledgeable and courteous. I would recommend LifeShield to everyone!

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

Nice products with an easy setup. Had a great ordering experience as I had to call in because the website was not functioning. Be careful as they hit your credit card with a $21.26 monthly monitoring charge even if you tell them you do not want it. They don't do self-monitored systems if you call them on the phone, that is what I was told. - Took three phone calls and they only refunded one of the three months. I would still tell you to get the system. Just watch your credit card statement.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

This system is the best out there, the customer is also AMAZING. I called with a question they were super helpful and solved my issue. I love their tech and security touchpad. It's also really nice that it communicates through ethernet on my network AND cellular backup.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I would NEVER recommend anyone buy anything from this company. We ordered a system that could not be installed, their product didn't work, I sent it back after they gave me approval and a shipping label. Now they are saying "Too bad it was after 30 days." Finally I found someone who said they would because of the circumstances. After talking with their account specialist they said it would be 14 days after they received the product back before the refund would come. It didn't, so I called and got this answer. "As a courtesy we cancelled your contract but we will not refund your original cost!". Even though they have the product now.

When I first signed up with them they said my 76 year old mom could set up the system. Not the case. I live 500 miles away and by the time I got there to set it up it was about 20 days in. I spent 3 days and about 6 hours working with their tech support to get it to work. I even increased my internet speed and had my internet provider open 'ports' on my router, making it less secure just so their system would work. That didn't work either. They just continued to blame my isp and gave up trying to get it to activate. So now they have their crappy product back and I'm out $200! What a scam! Some companies do what's right but not LifeShield!

Original review: July 30, 2019

This company has been bad news from the beginning. Getting the system took a month, then there were nothing but equipment errors. I finally disconnected informing them that I no longer wanted their services. They refused to give an address to return their equipment. Finally, I sent it back at my own expense but they still act like they are providing me services.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue by ADT?

Original review: July 18, 2019

Cancelling and returning my system. Tech support can’t tell me why my cameras won’t work even though I am following setup to a tee and got with Spectrum (my internet provider) to ensure all needed ports were open and my IP Address was static and not dynamic. The camera still says it’s “shipping” and won’t connect to my internet. I’ve spent 3 hours on the phone with support so far rebooting the base, my router, and the camera over and over and over and over in all different orders and STILL the system won’t work.

I asked them to send out a tech to look at the problem since they can’t seem to help me via phone and said they would gladly send a tech for $200 charge to me! No thank you! I will just return your system that doesn’t work. Also keep in mind that I am very tech savvy, so it’s not like I don’t know what I’m doing. Also the door sensor stopped working properly after only one day in use. You get what you pay for and with this company what you get is nothing. So I will pay nothing.

Original review: July 5, 2019

I purchased a system from LifeShield because of the no contract/cancel anytime ability that they advertise. After calls with customer service I found that this is not the case. I cannot cancel without sending my equipment back because they "do not offer self monitoring." Someone is almost always home and awake in my household so I wanted to cancel the monitoring because the system isn't being used at all anyways.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

My husband was laid off in July. We had to look at our bills and see how we could make some cuts. We discontinued service with LifeShield. The person we talked to was very nice and confirmed the cancellation, they would stop charging our card and send a box and shipping label to return the unit (as soon as service was discontinued the battery on the keypad exploded). We waited for the label/box... Never came... Come December what we did get was a charge to our credit card for $485.00. This charge was devastating to us... How can you not see your records and know that a label/box was never provided and charge a credit card 5 months later. Seems like a scam. We contacted the company, they provided a label (no box). We returned the equipment, but no refund. What is going on with this company. I want to resolve this issue with Lifeshield.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

LifeShield was recommended by my Fiance's sister so we went ahead and ordered the system. Our house is fairly large so after the initial install many of the sensors weren’t reading. We also had significant issues with the window sensors not matching up. We ordered a wifi extender which we assumed would fix the sensor issue. After spending $400, we were told that you had to use a LifeShield repeater. They sent the repeater, which fixed some of the sensors but not all of them. Then we were told they had to send spacers to make the window sensors work. Keep in mind all of this has taken about 30 days (apparently there is only a 30 day trial period). Just this week with the cold temperatures the sensors started falling off of the windows and doors.

We had two false burglar alarms and now have a bill from the local police because the sticky tape is faulty. I reached out to LifeShield to give them the benefit of the doubt...send a tech to fix things...or cancel my account. They proceeded to tell me I am out of my 30 day window (which FYI was their fault) and I would have to pay a cancellation charge. I was also told during the purchase that they could send someone to assist if I need it. This is the biggest scam of a company ever. Never do business with them again, it’s a total fraud.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I've noticed that there are some other people experienced the same thing as I did. I've been their customer since 2013 but I've decided to cancel the system as they are expensive compared to some other options. I decided to use self monitoring system and I called them to cancel. Despite that fact I was told earlier that I called them earlier and been told I could cancel anytime I want without being charged, I was told that they would charge me an early termination fee because my contract automatically renews for 12 months. This as I can see from other reviewers is very deceiving.

They offered to lower the monthly fee which would in total cheaper than paying the early termination fee. However, they didn't cancel my contract saying that I had to call back again after 6 months to cancel... As a result, I ended up paying again extra for server I have not been being almost a year... The whole interaction was extremely frustrating. Since there are so many cheaper and better options, I certainly don't recommend to use their system. They should have informed me about those terms when the contract is auto renewing. I would stay away from them.

Blue by ADT Company Information