Formerly named LifeShield Security

3.1/5 (32 ratings)
Call Center Open

About Blue by ADT

Blue by ADT is a pioneer in DIY smart home security. It offers Wi-Fi-enabled security products that are compatible with Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, Z-Wave Plus and IFTTT. Homeowners and renters can choose from three security systems or build a custom security system to fit their needs. Optional monthly monitoring costs $19.99 per month.

Pros

• Month-to-month options
  • 30-day money-back guarantee
  • Affordable plans

Cons

• Some equipment is pricey

Bottom Line

Blue by ADT’s flexible plans allow you to choose a month-to-month or long-term contract. Some of the add-on equipment isn’t cheap, but the plans are affordable.

Top Blue by ADT Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue by ADT?

Verified

Whenever I must call LifeShield, I always get the most pleasant and helpful technicians. I am not very computer savvy so the situation is always explained in terms that I understa...

Verified

This system is the best out there … I called with a question they were super helpful and solved my issue. I love their tech and security touchpad. It's also really nice that it co...

What is Blue by ADT?

Blue by ADT provides smart, wireless home security systems and 24/7 monitoring for renters and homeowners. Customers can select from several security systems or design their own with indoor, outdoor and doorbell cameras. The company's monitored and unmonitored security systems are easy to install and set up. All systems come with 30 days of free monitoring service so you can try the service with limited risk.

How does Blue by ADT work?

Blue by ADT's DIY security systems send push notifications through a mobile app when the alarm is triggered. Through the mobile app, you can arm and disarm the system, stream security video footage and customize your alert preferences. You can also communicate with visitors using the HD video doorbell's two-way talk feature. If you choose a professional monitoring plan, the emergency response specialists also notify local authorities.

Blue by ADT uses redundant connectivity, so a backup connection is always available. A 24-hour battery backup keeps your system connected to three monitoring centers backed up by two generators. Blue by ADT also uses smash and crash technology — if a thief smashes in the keypad on the security base, the system stays connected and keeps working to alert the right people.

Blue by ADT security system prices

Blue by ADT offers three home security packages that range from $199.15 to $346.43 for equipment costs, or you can design your own. Self-monitoring is free with these home security plans, or you can choose a professional monitoring plan for $19.99 per month. All home security packages include one month of free monitoring and a 30-day money-back guarantee.

Build Your Own System
The Build Your Own System option is a simple way to build a perfect security system. The price for this system varies based on the components you choose, but you can get an estimate on the company's website. It starts with a base hub, entry keypad, mobile app, yard sign and four window stickers.
11-Piece System
This easy-to-install, 11-piece smart home security system costs $199.15. It includes a base hub, an entry keypad, the mobile app, four door/window sensors, a fire safety sensor, a keychain remote, a yard sign and four window stickers.
15-Piece Camera System
This smart security camera system costs $295.12 and lets you see what’s going on in your home no matter where you are. The 15-Piece Camera System includes a base hub, an entry keypad, the mobile app, an indoor camera, six door/window sensors, two motion sensors, fire safety sensors, a keychain remote, a yard sign and four window stickers.
Eight-Piece Doorbell Camera System
This system costs $346.43 and lets you communicate with visitors remotely with two-way talk. It also has night vision and alerts you with instant notifications. The 8-Piece Doorbell Camera System includes the base hub, an entry keypad, the mobile app, an HD video doorbell, two door/window sensors, a motion sensor, a yard sign and four window stickers.

Additional Blue by ADT equipment

You can customize your security system by purchasing additional equipment from Blue by ADT. The home security systems use Z-Wave, which allows you to integrate smart devices like thermostats, garage door openers or sirens. Several sensors, cameras and add-on components are available to customize your home security.

Sensors
Blue by ADT sells several sensors to keep you aware of what's happening in your home.
  • Door/window sensor: $8.99
  • Motion sensor: $29.99
  • Fire safety sensor: $20.99
  • Glass break sensor: $29.99
  • Temperature/flood sensor: $29.99
Cameras
Blue by ADT's cameras let you monitor your home remotely through the company's app.
  • Doorbell camera: $199.99
  • Indoor camera: $199.99
  • Outdoor camera: $199.99
  • HD video doorbell: $199.99
  • Indoor smart camera: $59.99
  • Outdoor camera: $149.99
Add-on devices
The company offers additional equipment that makes it easier to operate your system or alert potential intruders that your home is protected.
  • Entry keypad: $35.99
  • Yard sign: $7.79
  • Four window stickers: $1.20
  • Blue extender + Chime: $49.99
  • Keychain remote: $14.99

Do we recommend Blue by ADT?

Yes, we recommend Blue by ADT. We love that you can choose between a monitored or unmonitored plan, and the wireless equipment is perfect for consumers who rent their homes. The base plan is affordable, and the company's upgrades offer comprehensive security without breaking the bank. Some of its equipment may be a little pricey, but the freedom Blue by ADT offers helps you save money if you need to change or cancel a plan.

Blue by ADT Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue by ADT?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2023

The sales rep helped fulfill my needs and got me the best rate possible. When I was struggling with my payment, he told me, "We can do a credit check, and that will help," and my down payment wasn't high at all. He was awesome. He also told me installation would be easy. He said it was gonna come with instructions, to follow them, and if I needed help, to contact tech support.

The home security system has been good. Notifications pop up on my phone instantly if there's any type of movement around my house. Even if it's a car just passing by my street, it picks it up. I feel more secure, and I'm able to see everything, so that makes me feel good. When I'm not at home, I can still monitor what's going on in my home. Blue by ADT is a good company to go to, and I've already been bragging about it to my sister.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2022

With Blue by ADT, I can have my Bluetooth device on my ear. They can call me and tell me somebody is at my house. The camera itself with the mounting on where they had mounted it, it’s hard to take the back off. I had to send the camera back the first time. Then the second time they sent me a camera, I had to pry it open with a little bit of screwdriver to get it to pop open. So, it's not easy to access the mounting system. It’s very hard to do. You gotta be strong to get the back off. I actually cut my hands trying to get the back off the first time.

I'm just getting into the system and learning about it. I've got to read my book that they put in for the instructions. I'm not really the instructions type of person. I like to kinda figure it out myself but when you get something like this, you have to read on how to work this and operate this particular device. For the most part, I'm enjoying it because it's secure. The only thing is I stuck the motion detector on the door. You can't drill holes in it because it's like a steel door. So, since I've had it, that device had come loose a couple of times. If you push the door too hard, then that device will bounce off. So, they're sending me some sticky stuff that I paid for about $3 online. Overall, I’m satisfied with the part of me having a system in my house where I know that I can set the alarm even while I'm sleeping. If somebody comes in, it'll trigger right away.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2022

I installed the system myself. The instructions were good. The issue was with our own Wi-Fi. It wasn't ADT. They were able to figure it out. The motion sensors, the remote, and the key fob are cool. I was impressed with the system. I unplugged the main hub and got emails and text alerts saying that there'd been a power disruption and that broadband was disrupted so it was switching to cell service. That's cool because that's something other competitors don't offer, that it switches over to cell, so if you lose power or Wi-Fi, you're still covered. I also like that I got this alert when I plugged it back in to let me know that power was restored. It let me know it was working and they were paying attention.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

The setup was real easy. The instructions were very easy to follow, and if we needed assistance, it was easy to call in. The Blue by ADT reps helped us very quick and sufficient. We love everything about the system. We have the option to be able to set it from when we're home and when we're away. We also have the option to get as many cameras or sensors that we need to cover the house. It's really great. Everything works wonderfully, and we are very satisfied with it.

However, I noticed that it was seven days of practice mode. We tried to come out of that practice mode since then, but it still shows Practice Mode in the app. Whenever we leave the house and we set it for Away, it always arms as Stay. I called one day about this Stay and Away issue and the guy said that he could change it on his end. However, it's still showing that it's just in test mode.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

In terms of customer service, the two people that I spoke to were good. The purchase was good, and when I called in, the guy that helped me with the setup was very informative. He walked me through it so that I could do it independently. He took care of me, and he asked me if I had everything set up, and I thought I did. I had trouble trying to figure everything out, and I don't think it's done right because it's still telling me I'm on my seven-day trial.

I thought the system was gonna be like a home security system that I didn't have to hardwire, and that was the reason I bought it. I also thought that I was gonna be able to have a doorbell, like the Ring doorbell, that I would be able to communicate with someone with, but I didn't get that. Blue by ADT told me that it only came with the motion sensor, and I don't understand how that works. I thought that stay means you're not leaving the house, but you can move within the house, but when I put the system on stay and the motion detector senses something, it sets off the alarm every time. I am still trying to figure it out.

Resolution response: Jan. 27, 2023

The company did not resolve the issue and made it worse. They are not interested in providing an appropriate resolution. Their only resolution is to pay the contract (over $1,000) or go through more agony with the equipment after I've already exhausted that function in April/May. I also got a different service because theirs did not work. This company is not interested in customer satisfaction, customer service, or integrity. Only money. That is all. Do NOT use this company. Several companies have better systems, better customer service, and overall integrity. I am telling my HOAs on all of their boards as well. It's unfortunate and disappointing.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2023

ADT Blue is a horrible product. Do not waste your time, effort, energy, and money. They are crooks and do not care if the system is functioning properly or not. They only care about money. I signed a contract and told them several times that it wasn't working. We did online support, I paid someone to set it up (twice), and we got new sensors. Nothing was working. We determined this two months into the contract. They were supposed to cancel it but did not. They are billing me every month for a system that does NOTHING. $46/month. They would rather get their $46/month than stop the system and make it right. It's disgusting. Please do not use them. Use one of the other brands that will care if they keep you safe. All these people care about is money. If I have to pay them for a system that does nothing, I will happily share their story of greed with everyone I can.

Blue by ADT response

We would like to further assist you in getting this resolved. We don't have a way to request a call back via social media. Please reach out to us directly at Alwaysthere@adt.com. Please include the address/phone number to the account and a copy of your post.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2023

How can such an well known brand and company back such cheap items. The outdoor camera is pointless because you have to remove battery to charge it and that alone brings the attention. That all it takes is pulling that battery out. And I never completed setup. I have been left I answered - the calls for my new card number never stop but I bring up my reasonings for pushing so hard for. Safety place. Then my home, my apartment safety was taken and your cameras caused more fear. I need to send them back - I will be using a different company since Blue ADT doesn’t care about compromising my home.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2022

Rip off. Paying for services never used due to them sending me non working equipment 3 times. Been paying this dumb company for over a year for nothing. Customer service sucks. Got put into a 5 year contract. Wants me to pay $1500 to end my service with them even though they sent me messed up equipment several times. Stay away from this company. They will rape your pockets.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2022

Initially, there was some miscommunication, but I had individuals reach out to me from headquarters and we were able to rectify it. I wanted to put some upgrades onto my security system and ADT had reached out to me. But when their representative came out, we found out that it was an ADT Blue system, so he could not help me. I didn't realize that the two are different. Other than that, the self-installation was straightforward. I couldn't get some of the cameras.online. But we were able to work through them. Also, I've had a couple of issues with the cameras going offline that it took me a while to bring them back online. I'm hoping that's just an initial glitch. But I'll continue to monitor them. The system gives me a good sense of security.

Blue by ADT response

Hello Michael. Thank you for your review. We're happy to hear you were able to get some assistance regarding the concerns with the service. If you do need some technical assistance with the system, please feel free to reach out to our technical support team at 1-877-987-4435. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2022

The reps were professional. They gave me two months free to have somebody install the cameras for me because I'm disabled. And I paid a guy to install the cameras around my house. Also, the reps went out of their way to help me and to figure out a solution when I first got the thing. It's logging every time I open the door up. But I'm trying to figure out if I like Blue or not because the cameras haven't come up. And I was about to call the company and ask them why my camera is not working.

Blue by ADT response

Hello Marvin. We're happy to hear you were able to get some assistance regarding the installation and that the representatives went out of their way to assist you. For technical support, please feel free to reach out to our technical support team at 1-877-987-4435. Thank you.

Blue by ADT Company Information