Formerly named LifeShield Security

4.5/5 (3162 ratings)
Call Now Toll Free

About Blue by ADT

Blue by ADT is a pioneer in DIY smart home security. It offers Wi-Fi-enabled security products that are compatible with Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, Z-Wave Plus and IFTTT. Homeowners and renters can choose from three security systems or build a custom security system to fit their needs. Optional monthly monitoring costs $19.99 per month.

Pros

• Month-to-month options
  • 30-day money-back guarantee
  • Affordable plans

Cons

• Some equipment is pricey

Bottom Line

Blue by ADT’s flexible plans allow you to choose a month-to-month or long-term contract. Some of the add-on equipment isn’t cheap, but the plans are affordable.

Top Blue by ADT Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Whenever I must call LifeShield, I always get the most pleasant and helpful technicians. I am not very computer savvy so the situation is always explained in terms that I understa...

Verified

This system is the best out there … I called with a question they were super helpful and solved my issue. I love their tech and security touchpad. It's also really nice that it co...

What is Blue by ADT?

Blue by ADT provides smart, wireless home security systems and 24/7 monitoring for renters and homeowners. Customers can select from several security systems or design their own with indoor, outdoor and doorbell cameras. The company's monitored and unmonitored security systems are easy to install and set up. All systems come with 30 days of free monitoring service so you can try the service with limited risk.

How does Blue by ADT work?

Blue by ADT's DIY security systems send push notifications through a mobile app when the alarm is triggered. Through the mobile app, you can arm and disarm the system, stream security video footage and customize your alert preferences. You can also communicate with visitors using the HD video doorbell's two-way talk feature. If you choose a professional monitoring plan, the emergency response specialists also notify local authorities.

Blue by ADT uses redundant connectivity, so a backup connection is always available. A 24-hour battery backup keeps your system connected to three monitoring centers backed up by two generators. Blue by ADT also uses smash and crash technology — if a thief smashes in the keypad on the security base, the system stays connected and keeps working to alert the right people.

Blue by ADT security system prices

Blue by ADT offers three home security packages that range from $199.15 to $346.43 for equipment costs, or you can design your own. Self-monitoring is free with these home security plans, or you can choose a professional monitoring plan for $19.99 per month. All home security packages include one month of free monitoring and a 30-day money-back guarantee.

Build Your Own System
The Build Your Own System option is a simple way to build a perfect security system. The price for this system varies based on the components you choose, but you can get an estimate on the company's website. It starts with a base hub, entry keypad, mobile app, yard sign and four window stickers.
11-Piece System
This easy-to-install, 11-piece smart home security system costs $199.15. It includes a base hub, an entry keypad, the mobile app, four door/window sensors, a fire safety sensor, a keychain remote, a yard sign and four window stickers.
15-Piece Camera System
This smart security camera system costs $295.12 and lets you see what’s going on in your home no matter where you are. The 15-Piece Camera System includes a base hub, an entry keypad, the mobile app, an indoor camera, six door/window sensors, two motion sensors, fire safety sensors, a keychain remote, a yard sign and four window stickers.
Eight-Piece Doorbell Camera System
This system costs $346.43 and lets you communicate with visitors remotely with two-way talk. It also has night vision and alerts you with instant notifications. The 8-Piece Doorbell Camera System includes the base hub, an entry keypad, the mobile app, an HD video doorbell, two door/window sensors, a motion sensor, a yard sign and four window stickers.

Additional Blue by ADT equipment

You can customize your security system by purchasing additional equipment from Blue by ADT. The home security systems use Z-Wave, which allows you to integrate smart devices like thermostats, garage door openers or sirens. Several sensors, cameras and add-on components are available to customize your home security.

Sensors
Blue by ADT sells several sensors to keep you aware of what's happening in your home.
  • Door/window sensor: $8.99
  • Motion sensor: $29.99
  • Fire safety sensor: $20.99
  • Glass break sensor: $29.99
  • Temperature/flood sensor: $29.99
Cameras
Blue by ADT's cameras let you monitor your home remotely through the company's app.
  • Doorbell camera: $199.99
  • Indoor camera: $199.99
  • Outdoor camera: $199.99
  • HD video doorbell: $199.99
  • Indoor smart camera: $59.99
  • Outdoor camera: $149.99
Add-on devices
The company offers additional equipment that makes it easier to operate your system or alert potential intruders that your home is protected.
  • Entry keypad: $35.99
  • Yard sign: $7.79
  • Four window stickers: $1.20
  • Blue extender + Chime: $49.99
  • Keychain remote: $14.99

Do we recommend Blue by ADT?

Yes, we recommend Blue by ADT. We love that you can choose between a monitored or unmonitored plan, and the wireless equipment is perfect for consumers who rent their homes. The base plan is affordable, and the company's upgrades offer comprehensive security without breaking the bank. Some of its equipment may be a little pricey, but the freedom Blue by ADT offers helps you save money if you need to change or cancel a plan.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue by ADT?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

My overall experience with ADT is good. It's a good service because even though you're away from home, you can still monitor your house, monitor what's going on inside and around. Then, you have the sensors on your windows. If someone breaks into your house from the outside, the sensor will go off. But, if I'm not home and I see someone going to my house, I can also speak to them through my Blue by ADT app on my phone.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2022

I installed the system myself. The instructions were good. The issue was with our own Wi-Fi. It wasn't ADT. They were able to figure it out. The motion sensors, the remote, and the key fob are cool. I was impressed with the system. I unplugged the main hub and got emails and text alerts saying that there'd been a power disruption and that broadband was disrupted so it was switching to cell service. That's cool because that's something other competitors don't offer, that it switches over to cell, so if you lose power or Wi-Fi, you're still covered. I also like that I got this alert when I plugged it back in to let me know that power was restored. It let me know it was working and they were paying attention.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

The setup was real easy. The instructions were very easy to follow, and if we needed assistance, it was easy to call in. The Blue by ADT reps helped us very quick and sufficient. We love everything about the system. We have the option to be able to set it from when we're home and when we're away. We also have the option to get as many cameras or sensors that we need to cover the house. It's really great. Everything works wonderfully, and we are very satisfied with it.

However, I noticed that it was seven days of practice mode. We tried to come out of that practice mode since then, but it still shows Practice Mode in the app. Whenever we leave the house and we set it for Away, it always arms as Stay. I called one day about this Stay and Away issue and the guy said that he could change it on his end. However, it's still showing that it's just in test mode.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

In terms of customer service, the two people that I spoke to were good. The purchase was good, and when I called in, the guy that helped me with the setup was very informative. He walked me through it so that I could do it independently. He took care of me, and he asked me if I had everything set up, and I thought I did. I had trouble trying to figure everything out, and I don't think it's done right because it's still telling me I'm on my seven-day trial.

I thought the system was gonna be like a home security system that I didn't have to hardwire, and that was the reason I bought it. I also thought that I was gonna be able to have a doorbell, like the Ring doorbell, that I would be able to communicate with someone with, but I didn't get that. Blue by ADT told me that it only came with the motion sensor, and I don't understand how that works. I thought that stay means you're not leaving the house, but you can move within the house, but when I put the system on stay and the motion detector senses something, it sets off the alarm every time. I am still trying to figure it out.

Original review: July 5, 2022

When I signed up with them, it was quick. It was a little hassle trying to set everything up. But it was easy after I got assistance. However, it's still not set up correctly. She told me that I need to connect the sensors. But if I take the sensors off the wall, it's literally gonna pull the whole wall out, so I'm not able to reconnect the sensors. But their reps I worked with were good.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

I installed the system, and my interactions with the reps went really well. They were very helpful, and my experience has been fine. The only problem I'm having so far is the front camera. If I wanted to look outside, it appears it drinks the battery faster. In two months. I've charged it up three times.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

DO NOT SIGN THE CONTRACT. Don't do it. I am stuck in a 36-month contract for a service I decided I don't want and never even activated. Services not rendered. Can you imagine if the system doesn't work well? You are still stuck with it, like a car payment. To cancel, I will have to pay $800. The cheap equipment they mailed is not even worth $200. DO NOT SIGN THE CONTRACT.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2022

I did the installation and it was easy. The system is amazing. The response time was amazing as far as setting it and leaving and coming in. I have the cordless keypad. I mounted it on my wall and it takes batteries. It's got sensors on it. You just wave your hand in front of it and the thing comes on. I don't even type my code in twice.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

Installation has gone rather painfully, because we've already had to send back a doorbell camera because it didn't work. I've got a replacement now, but I haven't opened the box. Overall, customer service is very good, but the response time is a little long and hard to reach. I had to wait for callbacks. They were very helpful though. Also, I'm still trying to get my whole system started and I'm not ready to activate it. I want to self-monitor for a while before I go with the ADT's monitoring service.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2022

My experience so far has been exceptional. It far exceeds expectation on my purchase of a home Diy security system. Senia, Emma and your whole team have been 100% professional, patient and dedicated to complete satisfaction. I rate my experience as an 11..

Blue by ADT Company Information