Accredited Partner

Formerly named LifeShield Security

Call Now Toll Free
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.51/5
Based on 3,122 ratings

Blue by ADT is a pioneer in DIY smart home security. It offers Wi-Fi-enabled security products that are compatible with Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, Z-Wave Plus and IFTTT. Homeowners and renters can choose from three security systems or build a custom security system to fit their needs. Optional monthly monitoring starts at $19.99 per month.

BOTTOM LINE

Blue by ADT’s flexible plans allow you to choose a month-to-month or long-term contract. Some of the add-on equipment isn’t cheap, but the plans are affordable.

PROS

• Month-to-month options
  • 30-day money-back guarantee
  • Affordable plans

CONS

• Some equipment is pricey

Top Blue by ADT Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue by ADT?

Whenever I must call LifeShield, I always get the most pleasant and helpful technicians. I am not very computer savvy so the situation is always explained in terms that I understand and that enable me to correct the problem. I am enjoying my partnership with LifeShield.

This system is the best out there … I called with a question they were super helpful and solved my issue. I love their tech and security touchpad. It's also really nice that it communicates through ethernet on my network AND cellular backup.

Blue by ADT Call Now Toll Free (888) 259-3601
Call Now Toll Free

What is Blue by ADT?

Blue by ADT provides smart, wireless home security systems and 24/7 monitoring for renters and homeowners. Customers can select from several security systems or design their own with indoor, outdoor and doorbell cameras. The company's monitored and unmonitored security systems are easy to install and set up. All systems come with 30 days of free monitoring service so you can try the service with limited risk.

How does Blue by ADT work?

Blue by ADT's DIY security systems send push notifications through a mobile app when the alarm is triggered. Through the mobile app, you can arm and disarm the system, stream security video footage and customize your alert preferences. You can also communicate with visitors using the HD video doorbell's two-way talk feature. If you choose a professional monitoring plan, the emergency response specialists also notify local authorities.

Blue by ADT uses redundant connectivity, so a backup connection is always available. A 24-hour battery backup keeps your system connected to three monitoring centers backed up by two generators. Blue by ADT also uses smash and crash technology — if a thief smashes in the keypad on the security base, the system stays connected and keeps working to alert the right people.

Blue by ADT security system prices

Blue by ADT offers three home security packages that range from $119.15 to $346.34 for equipment costs, or you can design your own. Self-monitoring is free with these home security plans, or you can opt into a professional monitoring plan for $19.99 per month. All home security packages include one month of free monitoring and a 30-day money-back guarantee.

Build Your Own System
The Build Your Own System option is a simple way to build a perfect security system. The price for this system varies based on the components you choose, but you can get an estimate on the company's website. It starts with a base hub, entry keypad, mobile app, yard sign and four window stickers.
11-Piece System
This easy-to-install, 11-piece smart home security system costs $199.15. It includes a base hub, an entry keypad, the mobile app, four door/window sensors, a fire safety sensor, a keychain remote, a yard sign and four window stickers.
15-Piece Camera System
This smart security camera system costs $295.12 and lets you see what’s going on in your home no matter where you are. The 15-Piece Camera System includes a base hub, an entry keypad, the mobile app, an indoor camera, six door/window sensors, two motion sensors, fire safety sensors, a keychain remote, a yard sign and four window stickers.
Eight-Piece Doorbell Camera System
This system costs $346.43 and lets you communicate with visitors remotely with two-way talk. It also has night vision and alerts you with instant notifications. The 8-Piece Doorbell Camera System includes the base hub, an entry keypad, the mobile app, an HD video doorbell, two door/window sensors, a motion sensor, a yard sign and four window stickers.

Additional Blue by ADT equipment

You can customize your security system by purchasing additional equipment from Blue by ADT. The home security systems use Z-Wave, which allows you to integrate smart devices like thermostats, garage door openers or sirens. Several sensors, cameras and add-on components are available to customize your home security.

Sensors
Blue by ADT sells several sensors to keep you aware of what's happening in your home.
  • Door/window sensor: $8.99
  • Motion sensor: $29.99
  • Fire safety sensor: $20.99
  • Glass break sensor: $29.99
  • Temperature/flood sensor: $29.99
Cameras
Blue by ADT's cameras let you monitor your home remotely through the company's app.
  • Doorbell camera: $199.99
  • Indoor camera: $199.99
  • Outdoor camera: $199.99
  • HD video doorbell: $199.99
  • Indoor smart camera: $59.99
  • Outdoor camera: $149.99
Add-on devices
The company offers additional equipment that makes it easier to operate your system or alert potential intruders that your home is protected.
  • Entry keypad: $35.99
  • Yard sign: $7.79
  • Four window stickers: $1.20
  • Blue extender + Chime: $49.99
  • Keychain remote: $14.99

Do we recommend Blue by ADT?

Yes, we recommend Blue by ADT. We love that you can choose between a monitored or unmonitored plan, and the wireless equipment is perfect for consumers who rent their homes. The base plan is affordable, and the company's upgrades offer comprehensive security without breaking the bank. Some of its equipment may be a little pricey, but the freedom Blue by ADT offers helps you save money if you need to change or cancel a plan.

Blue by ADT Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue by ADT?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

I was building a home so went with ADT BLUE since it was month to month with no contract and free equipment. I signed up in JULY 2019. On DEC 2020 I called in to cancel. I was then told I was in a 36 month contract so I would owe $813. for early termination. So they charged my charge card the additional $813.00 for a total of $1550.00. They had an electronic signature on file. I surely didn't sign that since I knew I needed their service for a short term period. They also sent me an email saying I had to return the free equipment they provided in 20 days or I would be charged another $450.00. They would send return labels.

I've been calling and emailing on where to send this equipment back to since DEC 21st. It's now JAN 8th. Tiffany from ADT BLUE told me she wasn't sending me anything and wished me well. This is a total Scam and a true lack of professionalism. Not to mention my Alarm went off many times during this time period and nobody ever called me to confirm if everything was okay.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

I called and purchased a panel, 3 cameras and sensors a year ago. Alarm companies main goal is to protect, take care of their customers and provide exceptional safe service. This company has done the complete opposite from day one. We have had to replace 2 of our cameras and when we call to speak to "experts in technical support." They either put you on hold, read from the manual or guess at what the problem is and if that doesn't work they just send you another one never actually fixing the issues. Due to their faulty equipment, the fire department had to come to the house and almost break down the door. Thank goodness that I work close by and arrived as the firefighters were about to axe the door (100% truth). We have set the alarm, gotten almost out of the neighborhood and had to turn around because the alarm decided to go off.

We have come home and the system decided it didn't want to work and when checking the cameras realized that the system has been offline for hours. Again thank goodness we work close by. When we tried to get out of the contract they told us to write a letter and after we completed the page and a half letter with solid facts about the issues we've had, they decided it wasn't enough and we were told we couldn't break the contract and instead they credited our account for that month as if that would make us feel safe and it magically fixed all the problems. We have had representatives, fire fighters, and other people tell us that we should not have to stay in a contract when both parties are not keeping up their end but apparently ADT believes the opposite. ADT cares about money not safety!! So we will be forced to pay for 2 alarm companies since we are the only ones who care about our safety.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

I’m a new homeowner as of last year and I wanted a security system that I could have a piece of mind knowing I was relatively safe. There are many companies out there but when I realized ADT had an affiliate Blue by ADT with no monthly contract, I was very interested and excited. I thought to myself this is great! Well, I did receive my DIY system and a free doorbell on time. The system was fairly well to install except the doorbell. I called numerous times to get the issue corrected and each time the customer service attempt various troubleshooting methods but it was to no avail. Hey, I couldn’t be mad, they tried but nothing worked. They finally told me to call my internet company because it must be on their end, I thought that was weird but whatever; when they didn’t work then they said it may be my electrical wiring.

Ok, now remember this about the doorbell because this will be an important part later on. Ok well the doorbell was free (but not really they just increased the price of the entire system to cover the raggedy doorbell), so I put that to the side and moved on. On July 29, 2020 I noticed Blue by ADT had charged me $22.24 for June and July professional monitoring. I called and talked to customer rep and informed them it was a mistake, I am self monitored which is free. They gladly removed charges. Over and done with, right? Wrong!!!

Fast forward to October 29th 2020, I checked mobile banking and ADT has taken out $22.24 for professional monitoring. I called them to refute these charges, while they had me on hold I decided to investigate a little further they have been taking $22.24 out since August 2020!! I know I should have caught this earlier, but I have had so many health issues going on in my family. I just wasn’t on top of my mobile banking like I should. I asked for a refund and this agent proceeded to tell me they can’t honor that because I never turned off professional monitoring and there is nothing that they can do at this point.

So I’m HOT at this point! I began to inform this rep that isn’t true. I NEVER signed up for professional monitoring and I had this same problem back in July. Then after explaining my case to 4 reps, I asked each time to speak their supervisor. Well supervisor wasn’t available but they can ‘escalate’ the issue. Then one rep Allen says "Well ma’am the issue is we refunded your money in June because you were having problems with the doorbell and as a favor to you we refunded two months until we could get the doorbell working, but the system has still been monitored". Now that is the part the raggedy doorbell comes back in the picture.

I informed him that is a LIE!! They refunded me my money because I told them I didn’t want to be professionally monitored!!! I also said what sense does that make that I am requesting a refund of my money because I don’t want to be professionally monitored and you give me my money back but then start charging my account again for the same service I just said I didn’t want??? And plus the doorbell still doesn’t work. Well he escalated the issue again, and said management will call me in 2 to 3 days. Well Allen called back today, October 30th, and said management had looked into issue and they agreed with the other customer reps that they won’t be able to refund my money because in fact they were indeed monitoring the system.

Also to be noted, in my city you must have a letter from the local municipal court to have a security system to monitor and call officials if needed, well I haven’t turned that in yet; hence the reason I KNOW the system isn’t monitored. When I mentioned that he said, "Well we are still monitoring it by knowing the system at least works and it’s no defects." Just plain stupid that doesn’t even make sense. Also, it was a recorded line so I made sure to let Allen know I wasn’t pleased at all with ‘management’ not having the decency to reach out to me themselves instead reading only what customer reps stated. So sorry for the long post but I just want everyone to STAY THE HECK AWAY FROM BLUE BY ADT!!!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

Blue by ADT IS NOT ADT! When I was moving, I asked transfer my service. Instead they cancelled my account with main ADT (You are labeled as a Lifeguard account) and signed me up for this Blue by ADT under false pretenses. Now they want to charge me a early cancelation fee to switch back to the MAIN ADT. The system is crude and primitive. I have many issues with no resolve. DO NOT USE BLUE by ADT. Stay with main ADT!

They also lied to me when my "30" Days will start. It started when I signed for the equipment. (Which make no sense..) I was told it would start when it was installed the system and they started monitoring it. (Which does make sense.) Yes my fault for not reading every word of the 30 page contract. Also my fault that I could trust a company, a company I am trust will my "security". Let that sink in. If I can't trust this company to resolve this issue? How can anyone trust them with their security? Don't Trust this company. They do not care about customers, just their bottom line.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

I had somebody try to break in my house. I called ADT and they told me this would be perfect for me. I had ADT for about 15 years about 10 years ago where they installed it. This system is horrible with all their customer support and technical departments going to Philippines. Every person I talked to had only been with ADT 7-30 days. Complete nightmare. I keep telling them that I wanted to return system if they couldn't send somebody out to install. They keep telling me that they could help me. Very little instructions in box. I am 64 and I've had a heart attack. I do not need this stress on me along with the people trying to break in my house. This system is not user friendly at all and no help from ADT. I will be returning it!!!! Don't do it!!!!

Resolution response: Aug. 1, 2020

After submitting this complaint the remainder of 128.99 was refunded to my account, not changing my rating as I never should of had to go this length to get my full refund.

Original review: July 23, 2020

I contacted Blue by ADT for alarm system, I informed them I was not very tech savvy and was told by sales this was best system for not putting holes in structure as this home is a rental, and easy to install as Covid-19 wasn't allowing anyone inside residences. Paid 128.99 for system, received, attempted to install, could not get it to activate, spent an entire week on phone with five different technicians, none of which could get it to work. The techs finally told me I would have to go with the regular ADT system, to mail back blue system and that I would get refunded for my 128.99. They received the blue system on June 15, 2020, contacted them end of June about refund, they said I should received by July 7th, called again on July 8th and again asked about my refund, they said should have it by July 16th.

On July 18th received a refund of 99.00, when called to ask where rest of money was they said they don't refund for shipping costs. I asked them why I had to pay shipping costs on what was essentially defective equipment that could not be installed even by their technicians. I was informed it was policy, I asked to speak to his supervisor, and was told it was his supervisor who told him to tell me, I asked for his supervisor anyways and was told I could leave a message, however, he probably wouldn't call me back as he had told him to tell me about shipping costs. I then asked to speak to his supervisor's boss, and was given a phone number that no one answers, just computerized adds. Would never deal with ADT blue again!!!! I am still trying to talk with someone who can explain my being charged for what is basically an inoperative system, no luck yet.

Original review: June 7, 2020

I have been with Lifeshield for several years and always had a good experience. My key fob stopped working, they said it's obsolete and can't be replaced but I could get new updated Blue equipment if I signed another contract. I agreed and received the equipment in about a week. None of the new equipment works properly. It won't add or delete devices, it won't arm or disarm. It times out waiting for a response from their server. I have called tech support 4 times in the last 3 days, spending hours on the phone. The techs can't fix it. They can't even arm or disarm the system either.

They said they would escalate the issue to an engineer to delete the old equipment on the account and a manager would call me. They said wait 24 hours for this to happen. I waited and it didn't happen and no one called me back. When I tried to call them again they kept disconnecting my call. I finally got a hold of another tech on day 2 and again they said an engineer would fix it and I would get a call in an hour or so. I am writing this 10 hours later. Still not fixed and no call. I asked 3 times to have a manager call me and they just won't. I'm not going to wait much longer for a solution. I am still within the 30 days cancel without a fee period so I just might do that. I don't understand why it isn't being fixed and why no one has called me back.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

Signed up for LifeShield, ADT,s DIY security system. No contract and much more affordable than their competitors. Received all the equipment I ordered, and set up the system myself. Called LifeShield tech. Support a few times who were happy to help, knowledgeable and courteous. I would recommend LifeShield to everyone!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

Nice products with an easy setup. Had a great ordering experience as I had to call in because the website was not functioning. Be careful as they hit your credit card with a $21.26 monthly monitoring charge even if you tell them you do not want it. They don't do self-monitored systems if you call them on the phone, that is what I was told. - Took three phone calls and they only refunded one of the three months. I would still tell you to get the system. Just watch your credit card statement.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I would NEVER recommend anyone buy anything from this company. We ordered a system that could not be installed, their product didn't work, I sent it back after they gave me approval and a shipping label. Now they are saying "Too bad it was after 30 days." Finally I found someone who said they would because of the circumstances. After talking with their account specialist they said it would be 14 days after they received the product back before the refund would come. It didn't, so I called and got this answer. "As a courtesy we cancelled your contract but we will not refund your original cost!". Even though they have the product now.

When I first signed up with them they said my 76 year old mom could set up the system. Not the case. I live 500 miles away and by the time I got there to set it up it was about 20 days in. I spent 3 days and about 6 hours working with their tech support to get it to work. I even increased my internet speed and had my internet provider open 'ports' on my router, making it less secure just so their system would work. That didn't work either. They just continued to blame my isp and gave up trying to get it to activate. So now they have their crappy product back and I'm out $200! What a scam! Some companies do what's right but not LifeShield!

Blue by ADT Company Information