Formerly named LifeShield Security

4.5/5 (3140 ratings)
Call Now Toll Free

About Blue by ADT

Blue by ADT is a pioneer in DIY smart home security. It offers Wi-Fi-enabled security products that are compatible with Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, Z-Wave Plus and IFTTT. Homeowners and renters can choose from three security systems or build a custom security system to fit their needs. Optional monthly monitoring costs $19.99 per month.

Pros

• Month-to-month options
  • 30-day money-back guarantee
  • Affordable plans

Cons

• Some equipment is pricey

Bottom Line

Blue by ADT’s flexible plans allow you to choose a month-to-month or long-term contract. Some of the add-on equipment isn’t cheap, but the plans are affordable.

Top Blue by ADT Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Whenever I must call LifeShield, I always get the most pleasant and helpful technicians. I am not very computer savvy so the situation is always explained in terms that I understa...

Verified

This system is the best out there … I called with a question they were super helpful and solved my issue. I love their tech and security touchpad. It's also really nice that it co...

What is Blue by ADT?

Blue by ADT provides smart, wireless home security systems and 24/7 monitoring for renters and homeowners. Customers can select from several security systems or design their own with indoor, outdoor and doorbell cameras. The company's monitored and unmonitored security systems are easy to install and set up. All systems come with 30 days of free monitoring service so you can try the service with limited risk.

How does Blue by ADT work?

Blue by ADT's DIY security systems send push notifications through a mobile app when the alarm is triggered. Through the mobile app, you can arm and disarm the system, stream security video footage and customize your alert preferences. You can also communicate with visitors using the HD video doorbell's two-way talk feature. If you choose a professional monitoring plan, the emergency response specialists also notify local authorities.

Blue by ADT uses redundant connectivity, so a backup connection is always available. A 24-hour battery backup keeps your system connected to three monitoring centers backed up by two generators. Blue by ADT also uses smash and crash technology — if a thief smashes in the keypad on the security base, the system stays connected and keeps working to alert the right people.

Blue by ADT security system prices

Blue by ADT offers three home security packages that range from $199.15 to $346.43 for equipment costs, or you can design your own. Self-monitoring is free with these home security plans, or you can choose a professional monitoring plan for $19.99 per month. All home security packages include one month of free monitoring and a 30-day money-back guarantee.

Build Your Own System
The Build Your Own System option is a simple way to build a perfect security system. The price for this system varies based on the components you choose, but you can get an estimate on the company's website. It starts with a base hub, entry keypad, mobile app, yard sign and four window stickers.
11-Piece System
This easy-to-install, 11-piece smart home security system costs $199.15. It includes a base hub, an entry keypad, the mobile app, four door/window sensors, a fire safety sensor, a keychain remote, a yard sign and four window stickers.
15-Piece Camera System
This smart security camera system costs $295.12 and lets you see what’s going on in your home no matter where you are. The 15-Piece Camera System includes a base hub, an entry keypad, the mobile app, an indoor camera, six door/window sensors, two motion sensors, fire safety sensors, a keychain remote, a yard sign and four window stickers.
Eight-Piece Doorbell Camera System
This system costs $346.43 and lets you communicate with visitors remotely with two-way talk. It also has night vision and alerts you with instant notifications. The 8-Piece Doorbell Camera System includes the base hub, an entry keypad, the mobile app, an HD video doorbell, two door/window sensors, a motion sensor, a yard sign and four window stickers.

Additional Blue by ADT equipment

You can customize your security system by purchasing additional equipment from Blue by ADT. The home security systems use Z-Wave, which allows you to integrate smart devices like thermostats, garage door openers or sirens. Several sensors, cameras and add-on components are available to customize your home security.

Sensors
Blue by ADT sells several sensors to keep you aware of what's happening in your home.
  • Door/window sensor: $8.99
  • Motion sensor: $29.99
  • Fire safety sensor: $20.99
  • Glass break sensor: $29.99
  • Temperature/flood sensor: $29.99
Cameras
Blue by ADT's cameras let you monitor your home remotely through the company's app.
  • Doorbell camera: $199.99
  • Indoor camera: $199.99
  • Outdoor camera: $199.99
  • HD video doorbell: $199.99
  • Indoor smart camera: $59.99
  • Outdoor camera: $149.99
Add-on devices
The company offers additional equipment that makes it easier to operate your system or alert potential intruders that your home is protected.
  • Entry keypad: $35.99
  • Yard sign: $7.79
  • Four window stickers: $1.20
  • Blue extender + Chime: $49.99
  • Keychain remote: $14.99

Do we recommend Blue by ADT?

Yes, we recommend Blue by ADT. We love that you can choose between a monitored or unmonitored plan, and the wireless equipment is perfect for consumers who rent their homes. The base plan is affordable, and the company's upgrades offer comprehensive security without breaking the bank. Some of its equipment may be a little pricey, but the freedom Blue by ADT offers helps you save money if you need to change or cancel a plan.

Blue by ADT Reviews

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

The has a few glitches in it when first installed. First of all pay close attention to what installer has to say regarding setting and disarming the alarm, because if you don't it will go off and you'll receive a call from the company. Second make sure always set and disarm the system before opening any doors that have been included in the system or they may cause the alarm to go off. Finally the system has a verbal announcement for whenever a door or window is opened that can get to be a little annoying, because it announces it ever time. Not a bad system, just a little annoying at times.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

I have been with ADT for over 20yrs. and have always used their products at home. I have no complaints or regrets hiring them because it's just simple math, they're GREAT! My brother use to work for them but has retired and he worked 30 with them. When people ask why I choose them, I tell them it's a no brainer, They're the best in the field!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

We have had ADT in our home for more than 20 years. We love the coverage that we are provided as well as the price. We have numerous sensors in our home that provide a level of protection that we greatly appreciate. We have the wireless keypad as well as the panic button which adds another level of comfort. We would highly recommend the company to anyone looking for great service at the best price.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

ADT is an awesome home security system! We pay $59.99 a month which got us 7 in home cameras, a ring doorbell that also has a camera, motion detector and allows you to hear and talk to the person at the door. We also got motion sensored doors and windows. When the alarm is set and it goes off, ADT calls you right away and asks if you are ok and in need of the police. I truly feel safe know we have this alarm system!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

Not the cheapest option out there, or the easiest to set up, but if your home already has the system it is a great service which provides peace of mind for break-ins, fires, smoke, etc. They are making improvements in the integration with other things like Google Nest and Lutron so am excited to see where that goes. I like knowing which doors/windows are open, and having our fire/ems/police contacted automatically in an emergency.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

If I could give this company negative 500 stars, I would. The level of thievery, negligence, laziness, and carelessness is absolutely mind-blowing. I have never had a consumer experience go this poorly in my life. I was an ADT customer for years and absolutely loved it. I had great customer service, my system always worked, I was always informed... it was fantastic. So much that I resigned a contract with them for 3 years. Then came hell. After 2 years in that contract, I needed to move (apartment to apartment) and called to let them know. This is when they informed me that the system that I had (installed in the wall) was meant for homes and I had to be switched to ADT Blue. I was totally fine with that because I truly loved my experience with ADT and thought this would be the same. I was so wrong.

ADT Blue... I cannot believe this company is still allowed to operate. I transferred everything over, after canceling my ADT (and was told no fee since I'd be "transferring" to ADT Blue) I was told by ADT Blue that surprise! You have to sign an ENTIRELY new 3-year contract since you're moving and if you don't want to do that? No worries! Just pay the $500 fee for canceling your last service! LOL. So after they forced me into a contract, they sent me my equipment with no explanation of what it was or how it worked.

After years of having/loving/using a keypad, I was shipped a plastic "hub" that plugs into the wall and has to be on an elevated surface near your wifi router. Additionally, I was shipped a ton of sensors I didn't ask for. It's self install. So I installed it, and it went into "practice mode" where it wasn't actually monitoring which is what it does for the first week. Said to call if you were an experienced customer and they could change it, that's a lie. So I had to go out of town, with no security system. A week later I called to ask that it be switched and this is when they informed me I needed "permits" in the city of Atlanta to use an alarm. This was news to me. I was extremely upset that this was never relayed to me and I still couldn't secure my home or use the alarm system I was paying for. They offered to pay for 2 months while they sent me the permit information (that they never originally sent). I said that was fine.

They never sent the information. I went back and forth from the police station who had no idea what I was talking about all to learn that you don't actually need a permit and ADT Blue was wrong. When I called to ask what was going on and why they couldn't get it set up without a permit, they said they didn't know and they would send me the exact permit info I needed. They never did, again. Today I called to try and cancel, and the guy from the CANCELLATIONS DEPARTMENT tells me "oh, your system is monitored and has been working for a few weeks. You don't need a permit it looks like." So I armed the system, which doesn't work correctly and the sensors don't *always* pick up the door opening and closing.

I talked to someone in customer service and was actually in tears over frustration from dealing with this and I got a nice big hefty "I'm sorry". I asked if I could cancel without penalty since this has been a nightmare and they said no. I begged to be transferred to a supervisor and the supervisor told the girl I was talking to "I don't why they transferred her, we can't help her." I asked if I could please just talk to someone who could switch me back to ADT and I would gladly take my old equipment back and they told me no they couldn't help me. My next step is to contact ADT myself and ask for help.

Let me be clear - believe the bad reviews and stay FAR away from this company and this system. I had an incredible experience with ADT and thought ADT Blue would be similar and it has been nothing short of a horrific nightmare. They lie, steal and have zero follow up or follow through. The customer service is non-existent and they will do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to lock you into a contract knowing you don't fully understand the stipulations. Please, PLEASE go somewhere else.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

I wished I could give them less than zero (0). I am in the military and I move a lot and I notified the agent who came to set the contract. He stated that if I move before my 3 years contract, they will transfer my services to my new location. That was false, and I am guessing the gentleman just wanted to close a contract. Two years later I was obligated to move and I informed ADT. They immediately charged me over $350 because I broke the contract and when I got to my new location they stated that I need a new contract and the $350 previously charged was for different contract. Please be careful when signing with ADT and I will advise going with different companies that offer the same services without contract.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

Too many extra fees for any extra security item. Seems to be pricy monthly fee. Ok with monitoring program but felt better to use non-monitoring program (including siren horn in the attic). Preferred non-contract agreement.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

Technically support staff very knowledgeable. Great turnaround time with scheduling services and really good prices on security systems. I have had other systems but ADT is by far the best I had so far.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

My credit card was charged immediately and 3 more times after that!!! Even though their promotion and the agent told me there was no charge for 90 days. I called them the very next day to cancel any intent of service, etc. But even after that like I previously said they still charged my card again 3 times so I was out of $300.00 within 72 hours of my first contact. Not only that!!!! It took me 6 months to get $200 of my money back not my full refund and they sent “my never active account” to collections for breaking the contract.... After many months, daily emails, certified letters, submitting all paperwork to the BBB and all credit bureaus I was able to resolve the “issue” even though I lost money, time, energy and peace. So literally no one entered to rob my house ADT did it remotely!!!! Good luck to you dealing with these crooks.

Blue by ADT Company Information