Formerly named LifeShield Security

4.5/5 (3148 ratings)
Call Now Toll Free

About Blue by ADT

Blue by ADT is a pioneer in DIY smart home security. It offers Wi-Fi-enabled security products that are compatible with Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, Z-Wave Plus and IFTTT. Homeowners and renters can choose from three security systems or build a custom security system to fit their needs. Optional monthly monitoring costs $19.99 per month.

Pros

• Month-to-month options
  • 30-day money-back guarantee
  • Affordable plans

Cons

• Some equipment is pricey

Bottom Line

Blue by ADT’s flexible plans allow you to choose a month-to-month or long-term contract. Some of the add-on equipment isn’t cheap, but the plans are affordable.

Top Blue by ADT Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Whenever I must call LifeShield, I always get the most pleasant and helpful technicians. I am not very computer savvy so the situation is always explained in terms that I understa...

Verified

This system is the best out there … I called with a question they were super helpful and solved my issue. I love their tech and security touchpad. It's also really nice that it co...

What is Blue by ADT?

Blue by ADT provides smart, wireless home security systems and 24/7 monitoring for renters and homeowners. Customers can select from several security systems or design their own with indoor, outdoor and doorbell cameras. The company's monitored and unmonitored security systems are easy to install and set up. All systems come with 30 days of free monitoring service so you can try the service with limited risk.

How does Blue by ADT work?

Blue by ADT's DIY security systems send push notifications through a mobile app when the alarm is triggered. Through the mobile app, you can arm and disarm the system, stream security video footage and customize your alert preferences. You can also communicate with visitors using the HD video doorbell's two-way talk feature. If you choose a professional monitoring plan, the emergency response specialists also notify local authorities.

Blue by ADT uses redundant connectivity, so a backup connection is always available. A 24-hour battery backup keeps your system connected to three monitoring centers backed up by two generators. Blue by ADT also uses smash and crash technology — if a thief smashes in the keypad on the security base, the system stays connected and keeps working to alert the right people.

Blue by ADT security system prices

Blue by ADT offers three home security packages that range from $199.15 to $346.43 for equipment costs, or you can design your own. Self-monitoring is free with these home security plans, or you can choose a professional monitoring plan for $19.99 per month. All home security packages include one month of free monitoring and a 30-day money-back guarantee.

Build Your Own System
The Build Your Own System option is a simple way to build a perfect security system. The price for this system varies based on the components you choose, but you can get an estimate on the company's website. It starts with a base hub, entry keypad, mobile app, yard sign and four window stickers.
11-Piece System
This easy-to-install, 11-piece smart home security system costs $199.15. It includes a base hub, an entry keypad, the mobile app, four door/window sensors, a fire safety sensor, a keychain remote, a yard sign and four window stickers.
15-Piece Camera System
This smart security camera system costs $295.12 and lets you see what’s going on in your home no matter where you are. The 15-Piece Camera System includes a base hub, an entry keypad, the mobile app, an indoor camera, six door/window sensors, two motion sensors, fire safety sensors, a keychain remote, a yard sign and four window stickers.
Eight-Piece Doorbell Camera System
This system costs $346.43 and lets you communicate with visitors remotely with two-way talk. It also has night vision and alerts you with instant notifications. The 8-Piece Doorbell Camera System includes the base hub, an entry keypad, the mobile app, an HD video doorbell, two door/window sensors, a motion sensor, a yard sign and four window stickers.

Additional Blue by ADT equipment

You can customize your security system by purchasing additional equipment from Blue by ADT. The home security systems use Z-Wave, which allows you to integrate smart devices like thermostats, garage door openers or sirens. Several sensors, cameras and add-on components are available to customize your home security.

Sensors
Blue by ADT sells several sensors to keep you aware of what's happening in your home.
  • Door/window sensor: $8.99
  • Motion sensor: $29.99
  • Fire safety sensor: $20.99
  • Glass break sensor: $29.99
  • Temperature/flood sensor: $29.99
Cameras
Blue by ADT's cameras let you monitor your home remotely through the company's app.
  • Doorbell camera: $199.99
  • Indoor camera: $199.99
  • Outdoor camera: $199.99
  • HD video doorbell: $199.99
  • Indoor smart camera: $59.99
  • Outdoor camera: $149.99
Add-on devices
The company offers additional equipment that makes it easier to operate your system or alert potential intruders that your home is protected.
  • Entry keypad: $35.99
  • Yard sign: $7.79
  • Four window stickers: $1.20
  • Blue extender + Chime: $49.99
  • Keychain remote: $14.99

Do we recommend Blue by ADT?

Yes, we recommend Blue by ADT. We love that you can choose between a monitored or unmonitored plan, and the wireless equipment is perfect for consumers who rent their homes. The base plan is affordable, and the company's upgrades offer comprehensive security without breaking the bank. Some of its equipment may be a little pricey, but the freedom Blue by ADT offers helps you save money if you need to change or cancel a plan.

Blue by ADT Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue by ADT?

Original review: March 10, 2022

I didn't get what I lead to believe would be included with system. The system was difficult to get up and working, camera batteries inconvenient to replace. Accessing live camera view is slow. Camera battery life is short in relation effort require to replace them.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 5, 2022

It has not been a month. It has been one afternoon. The system just now got hooked up. You billed me for February. I had to fight to get that charge taken off my credit card. I ended up speaking with 9 different people. I cried with every phone call. You lied. It takes way more than an hour to set up. Especially, if you are elderly and/or handicapped, which I am. You have NO ACH payments available. Who does that?? I had to provide my banking information. Are you kidding?? I was told I could pay through my internet banking. I was told I could hook up my existing front door lock, to your system. I can't to do that either. I am so frustrated. All your staff need to be properly trained. You were recommended to me. However, when I told them what happened, they couldn't believe it. They apologized for you.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

DO NOT PURCHASE! If I could give this system less than one star I would. I would not even use ADT just because they facilitate this product, and they are EXTREMELY MANIPULATIVE. I purchased this product with the intent of receiving a reliable and quality home security system. Upon setting it up, it locked me out of my account a few days later and sent me invalid links to reset the password. Then my alarm would sound at random times. I had to leave work and meet the police at my place to ensure no one was trying to break in, only to learn that the system is malfunctioning. I was awaken out of my sleep in the early hours of the morning for the same issue. But yet, some days I would come in and the alarm would not sound at all. I complained about this issue to disinterested staff, who never sought to rectify my problem, but rather gave me a month free, and sent out more equipment (that I never even opened).

After the problem continued to persist, I went ahead with another system; one more reliable and customer-friendly (Slomins). When I went to cancel, they informed me that it would cost 1024.00. They guy became really arrogant and displayed an attitude when I informed him that I did not want anymore free months, but that I decided to go with another system.

While it is my error for not understanding the "lease terms" of the agreement, I was told that the equipment and installation was "free" and would only have to pay the monthly service fee. I trusted the word of salesperson, which is my mistake as well, but to learn how deceitful they are is disheartening; considerably after I only wish to switch due to the ineffectiveness of their system. I even tried to make it work, after the system caused me so many inconveniences. The customer rep would not allow or refer me to anyone above him, so I will continue to try to seek assistance through other avenues. PLEASE AVOID THIS SYSTEM AT ALL COSTS!!!!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

In November 2020 I was preparing to move to my studio to live alone starting January 6th. I was concerned about safety so I started getting to research security systems that would work in an apartment that included a camera for my door. I talked to a man from Blue by ADT on the phone and he assured me multiple times that the system was *perfect for an apartment*, that I could start now but not be billed *until January* when I moved, I could cancel at *any time,* and that it was a *1-year long contract*, that once again could be canceled at any time.

I moved and then opened the box to set up my equipment. The door camera requires a doorbell to work. Apartments don't have doorbells. And yes we talked specifically about how my door did not have a doorbell, that it was inside and not a townhome. I called Adt and told them what happened. It turns out I was being billed since November even though I hadn't activated my service. The person I talked to on the phone laughed at me and said "Yep they probably lied to you to make the sale, go read reviews about Blue by Adt... there is nothing I can do to help you. You can't cancel your contract."

What on earth? Everything the salesperson told me on the phone was a blatant lie. I couldn't cancel, it didn't work at my apartment, and not only could I not cancel, he signed me up for a 3 year contract! I was on the phone for the rest of the day. The person on the phone said "I'm so sorry that I have to ask this, but I'm required to and they will get me in trouble if I don't say this -- would you like to recommend us to your friends and family?" And they also asked if I would want to transfer my account to someone else. The audacity. I cannot believe how terrible and fraudulent this company is. They have taken advantage of me in every way they had the power to. Never sign up for Blue by Adt. They will scam you left and right. And they do not care about you or your safety at all.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

I requested service on 11/9/2021. I received my equipment days later. When I first got my equipment the hub was defective. I spent days/hours of troubleshooting before they finally came to the conclusion that my hub (the device that connects all the equipment) did not work. It was 7-10 days later when I received a new hub. In the in-between time, I upgraded my modem and internet service to be proactive. I received the new hub but had issues connecting the sensors. I spent days/hours on hold/troubleshooting again. The result was 7-10 until I received new sensors. I also spent hours for like 3 days straight holding trying to get someone on the line to send a return label. Also, my monitoring was still in test mode.

Finally, someone emailed me a label but told me that the department that activates monitoring was behind and the normal 3-5 business day it would take to become active was now delayed going on 30+ with no ETA. I also was told I would get a Ring bell with my service, it never came. When asked about it I was told the person who signed me up did not make note of my order and is untraceable. Basically asking me to prove it! I would have to go back on hold for another dpt. to argue my case. I was just plain exhausted, bought my own. So now I have Hub sensors and no monitoring.

My cameras outside kept going offline. I called and someone told me they were resting due to no activity but I went and stood in front of them and they still didn't come back on. The battery was fully charged when they went offline. Here I go again back on hold troubleshooting and the conclusion was I need a booster. The booster would not connect for 3 days. Day 3 it just decided to work but not the cameras. They will not scan to reset. I called in because of this and the panel that takes 3 entries to disarm. I have had 19 case numbers in less than 60 days. I was told I can pay $1700 to terminate.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

The first start off they made everything sound great. But soon after I received my equipment I could not get any tech support on how to hook up the equipment. And the fact when I did get someone on the phone they hung up on me for asking questions! How can a company with such terrible customer service stay in business and the fact I can't cancel my service without a 1500.00 early termination fee is ridiculous. I've had the system for 20 days past the 30 day money-back guarantee! I will never recommend or refer anyone to Blue by ADT. STAY AWAY. STAY FAR FAR AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!! THEY DESERVE NEGATIVE STARS!!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

Ordered this service in June. We rent. They sent us equipment with minimal instructions to install. After trying repeatedly to install sensors I sat on the phone for almost 3 hours with CS and got some sensors installed and working. They had to send extras because the ones they sent didn't work. They sent new sensors and upon installing them one had a dead battery to begin with. Then our motion sensor quit working for whatever reason. The cameras cannot be mounted as the bases won't come apart as they say they will. We watched videos and everything.. NOPE.

I have called 2 times asking to have service cancelled and a box shipped to me to send equipment back. NOPE. Not unless I pay 1400.00+ dollars to cancel. Been paying for a monthly service and NEVER turned on the service. NEVER armed the home. How can we feel secure with sensors not working properly. How can we use a camera that cant even do what its supposed to do to get it to mount. Sensors keep stopping, devices dropped of. CANNOT hook up cameras, minimal help. Asked for cancellation. NOPE. Said I have to pay 1000.00+. Never armed system. NO sense of security.

So they sent me a new motion sensor and 2 batteries to put in the sensors that are not working. You have to take them off the door or window to open. Once you do that the sticky stuff is gone and it won't adhere. They told me to just go buy some double sided tape. What the heck! WHY do I have to buy more stuff to get THEIR stuff to work. All the while I am paying monthly for a service WE DO NOT USE!!!! I want the billing to stop! I want the equipment sent back! Just because I rent should NOT make me have poor customer service. So word to the wise, if you rent a home do NOT, I repeat DO NOT bother talking to, dealing with or allow yourself to be swindled by these jokers. The only thing they care about it taking your money. They do NOT care if your house is secure or not. And the only thing they seemed to be so proud of was the yard signs and window decals they sent us. Such a shame.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

My advice is DO NOT use this company. They are horrible. The system never works and customer service is about the worst company I have ever dealt with in my 48 years of life. In fact I never ever leave negative reviews. This company is my very first. Hours me hours of hold and uninformed customer service agents and techs. STAY AWAY!!!!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

If I could give this company negative 500 stars, I would. The level of thievery, negligence, laziness, and carelessness is absolutely mind-blowing. I have never had a consumer experience go this poorly in my life. I was an ADT customer for years and absolutely loved it. I had great customer service, my system always worked, I was always informed... it was fantastic. So much that I resigned a contract with them for 3 years. Then came hell. After 2 years in that contract, I needed to move (apartment to apartment) and called to let them know. This is when they informed me that the system that I had (installed in the wall) was meant for homes and I had to be switched to ADT Blue. I was totally fine with that because I truly loved my experience with ADT and thought this would be the same. I was so wrong.

ADT Blue... I cannot believe this company is still allowed to operate. I transferred everything over, after canceling my ADT (and was told no fee since I'd be "transferring" to ADT Blue) I was told by ADT Blue that surprise! You have to sign an ENTIRELY new 3-year contract since you're moving and if you don't want to do that? No worries! Just pay the $500 fee for canceling your last service! LOL. So after they forced me into a contract, they sent me my equipment with no explanation of what it was or how it worked.

After years of having/loving/using a keypad, I was shipped a plastic "hub" that plugs into the wall and has to be on an elevated surface near your wifi router. Additionally, I was shipped a ton of sensors I didn't ask for. It's self install. So I installed it, and it went into "practice mode" where it wasn't actually monitoring which is what it does for the first week. Said to call if you were an experienced customer and they could change it, that's a lie. So I had to go out of town, with no security system. A week later I called to ask that it be switched and this is when they informed me I needed "permits" in the city of Atlanta to use an alarm. This was news to me. I was extremely upset that this was never relayed to me and I still couldn't secure my home or use the alarm system I was paying for. They offered to pay for 2 months while they sent me the permit information (that they never originally sent). I said that was fine.

They never sent the information. I went back and forth from the police station who had no idea what I was talking about all to learn that you don't actually need a permit and ADT Blue was wrong. When I called to ask what was going on and why they couldn't get it set up without a permit, they said they didn't know and they would send me the exact permit info I needed. They never did, again. Today I called to try and cancel, and the guy from the CANCELLATIONS DEPARTMENT tells me "oh, your system is monitored and has been working for a few weeks. You don't need a permit it looks like." So I armed the system, which doesn't work correctly and the sensors don't *always* pick up the door opening and closing.

I talked to someone in customer service and was actually in tears over frustration from dealing with this and I got a nice big hefty "I'm sorry". I asked if I could cancel without penalty since this has been a nightmare and they said no. I begged to be transferred to a supervisor and the supervisor told the girl I was talking to "I don't why they transferred her, we can't help her." I asked if I could please just talk to someone who could switch me back to ADT and I would gladly take my old equipment back and they told me no they couldn't help me. My next step is to contact ADT myself and ask for help.

Let me be clear - believe the bad reviews and stay FAR away from this company and this system. I had an incredible experience with ADT and thought ADT Blue would be similar and it has been nothing short of a horrific nightmare. They lie, steal and have zero follow up or follow through. The customer service is non-existent and they will do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to lock you into a contract knowing you don't fully understand the stipulations. Please, PLEASE go somewhere else.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

I wished I could give them less than zero (0). I am in the military and I move a lot and I notified the agent who came to set the contract. He stated that if I move before my 3 years contract, they will transfer my services to my new location. That was false, and I am guessing the gentleman just wanted to close a contract. Two years later I was obligated to move and I informed ADT. They immediately charged me over $350 because I broke the contract and when I got to my new location they stated that I need a new contract and the $350 previously charged was for different contract. Please be careful when signing with ADT and I will advise going with different companies that offer the same services without contract.

Blue by ADT Company Information