Central Security Group

Compare Home Alarm & Security Systems

Research top Home Alarm & Security Systems recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I normally don't leave bad reviews and will give companies the benefit of the doubt, but I cannot explain the stress this company has caused me. My grandmother passed away in April and because my mother and father were having health issues of their own at the time, I became the administrator of my grandmother's estate. I have been trying to get the system canceled since her passing and I have been constantly thrown into an endless loop. When I first notified them, they explained they could not do anything until they sent out an empathy letter. I received the letter and sent in the required documents. I did not receive any contact from them except a system generated email stating they received my email. I waited. Nothing.

One day I get an email telling me they tried contacting me but had been unsuccessful. I did not receive ANYTHING. I call to speak with someone about my contact information they had on file. They had all of the correct information. They were trying to transfer me to the department that handles estates but they said they were "busy" and would send them my information to call me within the hour. Never received a call. I call them back and I'm told the same thing. They're "busy." This is the only company I am still having to deal with. I lost my grandmother in April and my mother at the beginning of June. Out of handling both estates, this company is the last one I'm trying to get taken care of... but they are making it impossible. I highly recommend to avoid Central Security because their customer service is horrendous.

My contracting was coming for renewal. We negotiated a new price. They mailed me the paperwork which I filled out and mailed back. Not once did they tell me they didn't get it. (They called shortly after mailing it to verify I got it in which I told him I was filling it out and mailing it back that weekend.) June comes normal payment. I let it go thinking the billing had to catch up. July same bill. I call on Friday. Was told they were busy and they don't call me back until Tuesday. I told them due to the customer service to cancel my service. First she says the contract says automatic renewal for 2 months. I explained I paid June and July. Cancel then she says she can't. Puts me on hold and comes back telling me I need to buy back the service. Buy back??? Why. My contract is up. I had to hang up because I had to get back to work but now I guess I have to get an attorney to stop them.

About three months ago, my bf assaulted in me in my home. He also blocked all the doors and kept me and my son locked inside. He destroyed most of the house, and also ripped the security system from the wall and through it THROUGH a bedroom door. My phone was destroyed and his number had changed so the security system company was obviously unable to get a hold of us... yet, NO police were dispatched and I was left with NO ONE to help me or my son. We were trapped for hours and NO ONE came! Why pay for a security system that doesn't work??!!

I have now been with CSG (original contractual agreement with Smith) for over 1 year. During the time the customer service has been extremely poor. I never received some of the equipment promised to me. Some equipment doesn't work properly. Response times are horrific, which makes me feel extremely insecure and exposed. Be aware... I do not recommend.

I do not understand why an appointment is changed without ANY notification the homeowner!!! I do not understand how you call an "ASAP Service" taking 1.5 hours to call the homeowner and another 1 hour to get to the house!!! This "SECURITY" company simply amazes me at how a customer is treated and we trust you and your company with my life and lives of my family!!!

I had an appointment for 06/10/17, 8-5 NO WINDOW. Got to be home ALL day!!! Called and rescheduled for 06/15, 5-7pm. At 7:02 called to find out the appointment was changed to 06/20. NO NOTIFICATION WAS MADE THAT THE CHANGE HAPPENED!!! REALLY!!! To try and appease me, we will send the tech on call for an "ASAP" call. Tech calls at 8:45 pm to say another hour!!! You have got to be kidding!!! I am pissed and fed up!!! You do not want me to call in after sending the email!! You have a supervisor call me ASAP to rectify this as I am satisfied!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Central Security Group ?

This company is just out to get your money. I have already contacted BBB in regards to this company and contacted an attorney. Since day one they gave us issues, promising us they're going to give us certain things such as camera motion sensor, remote control. To them saying they never said any of that and saying motion sensor was not recommended because of our two dogs when it was specifically clarified when they came knocking on our door that we have two small dogs. When I tried to cancel on the 3rd day they gave us such a hard time stating I would still have to pay over $200 for equipment to be removed when it does not say anything in the contract. To speaking to so-called managers and they laugh while you're on the phone? I mean that is very unprofessional and by the looks of it this company already has so many complaints and wonder why they are still up and running. People don't waste your money and time with them!

I am very disappointed with this so called security system. They are very misleading and gave false information. We had a salesman come knocking on my door promising me 8 sensors, cameras, wireless remote control and stated there would be no problem with having a motion sensor inside the home because I had two small dogs under 80 lbs.

When technician came to install he only installed 7 sensors due to the fact that he was short one. He did not install the motion sensor in the living room because he stated Alarm would be constantly going off because of the dogs and it would be a big problem. The cameras were not installed because apparently it was an extra cost when that's what I agreed with the vendor that came and wireless remote control was not in order form per technician.

Well I of course followed up with CSG group and they stated the cameras were not part of the plan we had discussed (when we clearly did!), then the issue with my dogs was that they are not 80 pounds each but together they are over 80 lbs. Mind you I have a chihuahua and a small Shih tzu. Wireless remote control was not given because it was only for elderly people and I would have to pay an extra fee for that. This was barely the 2nd day of having this system and I was very unhappy.

And so on the third day as I was told by the salesman and per the contract we signed that I can cancel with NO COST within the following 3 days of signing contract. So I called at 7 pm on a Friday Since I was told they close until 10 and had no luck getting through to them. Left message same day w/ technical support and lady said to fax contract with date and just to follow up with call on Monday. I did and they said they received it but will charge me a little over 200 dollars to take out equipment if not over $1000 to keep it. I talked to a so called manager and she laughed when I told her I was upset and did NOTHING to help or explain why I was being charged $200 when it did not say anything in contract and was never told this info. Very unhappy! People do not get this security system! They are just after your money and well the rest of the reviews on them should speak for themselves.

Consumer Increased Rating!

CSG contacted me and has fixed the issue in a very timely manner.

Jarrett of Cleburne, TX on

Original Review

Central security group is nothing but con artists and thieves. Deceptive practices and sketchy contracts. If you value your money whatsoever please do not get in bed with this company, and recommend anyone who is looking for an alarm system provider to stay away as well. I can't say anything that hasn't already been stated in the numerous 1 star reviews below. Shortly after my 3 year contract ended I ended up having to move out of my house into an apartment, the complex won't allow security systems (obviously) so I called to cancel my service. I was told that I automatically enrolled for a 1 year contract and would not be allowed out without paying a 475$ cancellation fee. DO NOT USE CSG.

Stay away from this company! We have been a customer for 3 years and are now currently in the process of moving. We are moving into an apartment where this service is NOT able to be continued at. Our contract expired in February, but CSG took it upon themselves to auto renew our contract WITHOUT our consent or knowledge of this. Because we are moving and can not continue this service, we called to cancel service only to find out we can NOT get out of contract that we DID NOT AGREE TO, without paying the cancellation buyout fee of $350+. CSG customer service and management showed no concern of this issue and will not budge on this matter. This is a scam of a company and they will rip you off. There are many, many other alarm companies out there we advise you to go to!!

This company is the worst. They will not let you cancel. They will not let you pay off the contract and be done with it, the disconnect request must be used and it must be the hard copy, per the customer service representative I talked to. Hence, they have basically been paid for doing nothing for over 2 years. You can do better buying a light that turns on and off different times of the day, it would have been a deterrent and more honest. HORRIBLE, TERRIBLE, worst company I have ever encountered in my life.

Consumer Increased Rating!

THIS IS A TERRIBLE COMPANY! My father-in-law died in Oct. 2016. I have been trying to cancel service. They told me to send a letter, death certificate and all necessary paperwork, which I did. Today I received a bill for each month of last year. When I called I was told the account was cancelled but they would still keep billing because it was under contract. But not to worry because it only bills "his estate". Well, we are his estate now. I asked to talk to a supervisor who confirmed they will keep billing because he had a contract with them in March 2016 for 2 years. I told her that I was pretty sure that contracts end when people die. But she said no. She said she doesn't care who I complain to, and if it is the BBB, the company's A+ rating will remain unchanged. My recommendation is to not use this company!

I had the same problem as many of the people in the forum with Central Security gGroup. I wish I had read reviews before I bought the service from them. I signed a 36 month contract in January 2017 and my contract expired in January 2017. I called them in March to cancel my service. They said I will have to pay for 10 more months of service because of automatic renewal clause.

I asked the copy of the agreement and they promptly sent it. There is a mention of the automatic renewal of the contract. But the clause is not described anywhere in the agreement. According to my lawyer the contract is void if the clause is not clearly described. I am going after them. I recommend everybody who had similar problems with this company to get a legal opinion on their contracts. Looks like there are many victims of this CSG's dubious ways of doing business.

I am in the middle of a 3 year contract and I've moved an hour outside of the St. Louis Metropolitan area and when I called to switch service to my new address I was told that they do not provide service at my new location but that I am legally bound to services for the next 2 years!! Oh but they said they would cut me a "deal" and meet me halfway at 740 dollars! Ridiculous if you ask me! So much for what I was told about the company having service "virtually everywhere" they also aren't afraid of the BBB and stated they will look at the fact that they "tried to settle" with me.

Consumer Increased Rating!

We used Guardian Security Systems, Inc. for our home security service from October 20, 2007 until we moved to a new state in December 2016 due to a job change. In August of 2016, we had signed an Alarm Agreement Addendum extending the terms of our original 2007 contract for 36 months. We thought this meant that we could still terminate with 30 days if needed and no one told us differently. We unexpectedly had to move due to a job change in December 2016 and gave 30 days notice of the cancellation in writing. We heard nothing back until we were billed for January 2017.

When I called to inquire about the charge, I was informed that because we signed an addendum rather than a renewal we will have to pay $35.89 every month until July 2019 (nearly $1200.00!!!) despite the fact that we used and paid for their services on a monthly basis for NINE YEARS prior. This is how the Company treats long term customers, RUN RUN RUN!!! Don't sign a contract and certainly don't renew or sign an addendum.

Their service is excellent and customer service is above par, but their cancellation clause which I found out when I was thinking about getting a better deal is unfair. Looked at my contract and it was there in small print easy to miss. I think ADT does the same thing. They know people are busy and will always call pass the 30 day cut off period which is wrong. Maybe somebody lost their job or moved, anything can happen life happens. Their 30 day clause is wrong in so many ways.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I have been with this company 3yrs. Every year I try to go month to month but they always renew my contract. They never upgrade my system, but always renew my contract. They company that charge less than what I am paying with more advance technology. I would like this company to give a month to month as I have requested on multiple occasions.

My complaint is just like everyone else's. In my case, I left a building being monitored by CSG in June of 2016. We called in June and September to cancel. They said it was an automatic renewal and that they would need in writing one month before it automatically renews. This is unethical and slight handed. I cannot for the life of me believe that there is not a class action against this company. I see all the complaints on this and other and wonder how these people keep their BBB rating at an A (seems crooked to me) and that there is not a class action against their business. I own a business. It puzzles me how the owner or officers sleep at night. They must make a ton of money extorting people to buy out their conscious.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I signed up for Central Security Group in December 2012. The salesperson did not explain to me that I needed to terminate services exactly 90 days before the 3-year anniversary. I assumed that this was a normal company where one simply gives written notice after the required 3-year contract. In May 2016, after ensuring that I had completed 3 years, I sent two (2) letters to the main office and the billing address, notifying the company that I would no longer require their services. I also requested them to stop withdrawing funds from my bank account.

The funds withdrawal stopped after about a month or so, but then I started receiving invoices. I called and spoke to their billing department and was notified that since I did not call to cancel services around September 2015, giving 90 days notice, I had automatically been entered into an additional one year contract!! Why one (1) year, not month to month or something similar, I cannot tell. Therefore, I would have to pay the outstanding amount from the date they stopped withdrawing funds from my account, until December 2016! The company's automatic one-year renewal would be similar to telling a tenant that failed to give the required notice, but who did not sign a new tenancy agreement, that they had automatically been enrolled into another complete YEAR, and were obligated to continue paying rent for the new year!! No other company has such deceptive practices.

Most companies do not hide shady clauses (such as automatic one-year extensions) within all the paperwork that one signs at the initial contract signing. Not cable companies, not magazine subscriptions, not utility companies... The representatives at the billing department are impolite and keep repeating that "You signed the automatic renewal clause and if you want, we can forward to you a copy of this, just to remind you that you owe for the entire year!!"

Here is a reproduction of the clause: "THE MONITORING TERMS I am signing a ___ (3) year monitoring agreement with Central Security Group-Nationwide, Inc. (CSG). There is an automatic renewal clause, which may be canceled with notice. I am responsible for the payments described in the monitoring agreement. I am the owner of the home or business described in the monitoring agreement. I understand that Central Security Group-Nationwide, Inc. is not an insurer and that the agreement limits CSG liability."

In short, sentence that is BURIED on the top of the second page of the Alarm Monitoring Agreement, where the sales person (not the customer) inserts the number of years of monitoring, is the clause notifying a customer of the automatic renewal. No details as to "how to go about canceling this renewal are provided, nor the fact that the automatic renewal is for a complete 12 months!!! IT WOULD BE MORE HELPFUL IF THIS SENTENCE WAS PLACED RIGHT next to the customer's signature!!

I would not recommend this company to ANYBODY based solely on their deceptive practices of auto-renewing their contracts for one full year. I paid for half a year after my obligatory 3-year period and I am still required to pay for the remaining 6 months. The company did not have the courtesy of notifying me of this strange clause at the time that I sent them written notice that I was canceling services and stopping the automatic bank withdrawal, yet they have my email, telephone, and address contact information. I will therefore be forced to continue paying Central Security Group for the remainder of the year, while at the same time paying the new company that I signed up with. This is an unfair and terrible way to conduct business.

We signed on with Central Security Group because the sales man had sold systems to many of my family members. He explained to us that he was in the process of transferring all his customers (including my family members) over from Monitronics to Central Security Group because they were supposed to be better. We got the system installed in August 2014 when we moved into the new house we purchased. We had an idea a few months in this company was crap. We didn't know our neighbors yet. One day I came home from work to a note on my door from my neighbors saying backyard flooding. Apparently one of the sections of automatic sprinklers did not go off and had flooded a section of our backyard and was overflowing into our neighbors' backyard.

My husband went to go talk to the neighbors to make sure the water didn't damage anything. They notified him that they had called the number on the security signs to notify them and ask them to call us. We had received no call. About 3 days later we received a from CSG notifying us of the call our neighbors made. I was like "Yeah. Thanks that was a few days ago." I'm glad it wasn't something serious. I knew around August 2016 my contract should be up because it was a 2 year contract. I was at AT&T looking into their security system. I called to make sure my contract was up and was told it was not up 'til August 2017. I said "How is that I had a 2 year contract and it's been about 2 years." I said I know we haven't signed another contract. I never even heard from the sales guy since. She said she had to transfer me to someone else.

I spoke to someone else and they informed me that there is a clause in the contract that states that you have to cancel your service 30 days prior to the end of the contract or the contract will automatically renew. That does not even sound legal. I just happened to be with my sister and grandparents who also have CSG. They knew nothing about that either. My sister said she just knew about the letter but only because the guy asked her to write a letter when he switched her over from Monitronics to CSG but not about the 30 days. I said "What if I cancel anyway." He told me I would have to pay a $450 cancellation fee. I asked for a copy of my contract and something in writing stating the fee. He told me he can email me the contract but not a letter regarding the cancellation fee. He said I would need to request a final bill after the cancellation.

I said "Why do I need to request a bill? If I owe the money shouldn't you automatically bill me for it?" He said no I had to request it. I don't understand that. I don't know if it's just another way to get over on its customers by adding fees or what. He asked why we were cancelling and I told him we were not happy with the service and was being offered a better package elsewhere. I told him about what happened with the sprinkler incident and he apologized. He also told me they price matched. I told him with AT&T they are offering me 9 sensors, an outdoor camera and a push button door lock for my front door all for pretty much the same price I pay you guys for and all I have are 3 motion sensors. All he said was "OH". We then talked to the manager and still got nowhere.

After reading all these complaints on here I see the problem is much larger than I thought and would give them negative stars if possible. They are so shady and because my family members had no idea about the 30 day letter for cancellation I know it's not just something I missed. I will be posting this also on social media and Yelp. Go with a better company not a bunch of crooks trying to get over on you.

We had decided on using CSG when a door to door salesman came to our door. We were happy with them for a little over 2 years until we sold our home and moved into a new one. A guy came to our door and we filled out all the paperwork to move our system and set up a new contract with them at the end of August. We had a tech come to our new house and set up the new system in it at the beginning of September... The only issue here was that he promised to be at our house in the morning and didn't show up until late afternoon.

Fast forward about a week and we get a call one night that the alarm at our old address was going off and they wanted to know if everything was ok. We explained that we no longer lived there and had filled out all the paperwork to move and cancel the service at the old house. We spoke to everyone all the way up to the CEO's office and they couldn't find any paperwork saying we were cancelling and would be billed for the 2 addresses. In the meantime we got a call from our realtor asking for our code because the buyers of the old house couldn't get the alarm to shut off. My husband goes to find all the paperwork and there it all is saying that we were moving and cancelling and all the stuff that was supposed to be happening.

He calls right back to let them know he has it and the tech's name that came to our house and it just happens to be 9:01 and no one is there anymore even though my husband was promised an email right away with a new cancellation letter. He tried to tell the lady on the phone that he just spoke with them 2 minutes ago and she kept telling him "Sir, no one is in the office anymore." This company is ridiculous when it comes to keeping track of anything or just really lacks training in the lower levels. We are beyond fed up after tonight and find it ridiculous that we have to pay anything extra when we did everything right on our end. We should not be punished because they lost paperwork.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I was contacted by CSG customer representative and he was extremely helpful. My problem was resolved to my satisfaction.

pamela of Cypress, TX on

Original Review

I signed a contract with Central Security Group on July 12, 2013 for security monitoring for a 3 year period. On September 2, 2016 I called them to cancel my service and they advised me that my contract had an automatic renewal of an entire year so I had 10 months left of my contract. On their contract it states NO SECRETS. This is not true because it does not outline what automatic renewal means. There is also no contact, i.e. email, mail or phone call, letting you know that your contract is being automatically renewed. I believe this is bad business and have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

Consumer Increased Rating!

CSG and the installers were able to come to a resolution with me that was satisfactory for all parties.

William of Antelope, CA on

Original Review

A sales rep sold me on a different company then came back to have me fix some paperwork, and I ended up with 2 monitoring companies. After getting the initial company to drop my account, since their link to me had been cut off and they hadn't noticed, I was with Central Security for a year and half or so. Call to disconnect service since I'm moving, and come to find out that shady second contract was for 5 years with no cancellation option! When talking to their customer service, all the way up to the CEO's office, their only concern was if their contract could be enforced. Never mind the integrity of their tactics getting into my home.

Since the day they installed the equipment the security system never worked properly. The installer could not get the cameras to work all but one of the three. He actually put one camera on the floor and the other one in front of my TV facing the viewers. We cancelled the next day. Sent them the cancellation notice and we called to verify that they received it. We sent it FedEx and we have our receipts that they received the cancellation notice on Day 3. We even have a fax verification number that they received it. We spent over $50.00 just making sure they received the cancellation form. I called and they said it takes the system 30 days for them to cancel.

Even after all this and talking with countless people from this company, they still charged my account. I went to the bank and they are going to charge back this money and stop them from continue doing so. Just take the cancellation contract and show them you cancelled. Some agency should investigate this company and I will not stop until I see them shut down. They don't have an order number on any of my paperwork or on the contract.

I called to inquire about cancelling the service as I am moving. I was told I would have to pay for 12 more months. I asked the representative if my system was monitored locally as was told to me when I signed up and he refused to answer my question, telling me that it was irrelevant and I was not getting out of the contract. After I continued to press him he finally admitted that the monitoring was in Oklahoma and hung up on me. I would give this company negative stars if possible and never use or recommend them to anyone, especially the new buyers of my house. I have set the alarm off accidentally twice but did not get a call from them so I am assuming they are not monitoring my system and just in the business of collecting the monthly billing.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I am pleased to report an accord with Central Security Group, Inc. Just a word of advice, for all those still struggling with a resolution with this security company, ask to speak to The Office of the CEO.

Andreia of San Antonio, TX on

Original Review

WARNING!! Do not employ Central Security Group - Nationwide Incorporated to be your home security service. The equipment doesn't work; therefore, you will pay for services you're not receiving. You would be far better off just to take your hard earned $$$ money and watch it flush down the toilet drain, than to pay this company that doesn't provide the security service it claims to provide.

After providing a one month cancellation notice after our three year monitoring agreement, we were called and told that we were on an annual renewal contract (year-to-year) and we will be paying them for the next 10 months even though they will be happy to turn off our service. The contract is written in such a deceptive way, that an average well educated individual would not comprehend this clause. As a matter of fact the front is probably size 6 (six). As for my family, we see no other option but to seek the help of legal services.

I have alarm service at my business premises installed from CSG (Central Home Security) since May 2013. Their tech service is very slow to response to the need. I have called them several times regarding issues and were not assisted in timely manner and problem still was not solved. Also the installation was done very poorly. Above all they require me to submit a 30 days written notice to cancel my service which was sent to them and they called me back after 22 days to let me know that the notice have to be on business-head letter.

First of all it was not expected them to take 22 days to tell me that I have to resend the notice again. When I was reached I was not anywhere near my office and could not send them another one as I was on vacation. Upon arriving back to the business I sent them another notice and the service was not cancelled after 120 days from the original notice sent. I called the CSG to resolve the issue but representative was very adamant about their 30 days notice. I kept explaining that the notice was sent on timely manner but CSG took 22 days to respond back and by the time I sent them another notice I was well into the next billing cycle. And 30 days from then force me into another billing cycle. So they charged me for 3 unused month of services. Whatever you do please do not sign up with CSG.

Recently we set off our alarm by accident (a very rare occurrence), turned it off with the disable code, and waited for the call from CSG which never came. Several minutes later when we called them they told us that they had changed their policy and if they receive an alarm and it is subsequently turned off by the homeowner within 30 seconds they ignore the alarm. They admitted they provided no advance warning of this change and tried to cast it as "a way to reduce false alarm expense for the customer" which is ridiculous since they do not dispatch if they call, you give them the proper password, and tell them it was an accident. It is simply an attempt to reduce their call center expense.

They refused to admit that they had put their customer base at risk since in the past they had trained them that even if you disabled the alarm with a code they would still call. Even on the two occasions that we had alarms that were not accidents on our part we turned off the alarm as quickly as possible in order to be able to hear a telephone conversation and - more importantly - hear an intruder in the home if one was present. Under the new policy even if it were a legitimate alarm, once we turned it off (within 30 seconds) we would have gotten no response from CSG.

The other excuse they gave was that it is highly unlikely that if the homeowner turns the alarm off within 30 seconds that there is really an intrusion or other emergency. I reminded that we have had monitored alarm service for over 30 years (14 years with CSG) and never had an actual intrusion - nor has anyone in any neighborhood we lived in - but we were willing to pay them $39.99/ month on the extremely small chance we would. I have since contacted a number of alarm companies in our area and NONE have a similar policy. All respond whether or not the homeowner turns the alarm off. Needless to say we will be changing alarm services as quickly as possible. Luckily we had already negotiated a non-renewable contract with CSG several years ago.

They are thieves. Do not purchase their alarm system. I purchased the system three years ago. I called a few times within that period to cancel the service. I was told that I had to wait until my three years were up. I called two months after year three and I was told that my account automatically renewed for another year and that I would have to wait or they would give me a buyout for $100. That is unacceptable. I was never told that on my previous calls. I never received a notice. No email, letter, or phone call.

I called customer service and they were nasty. The first person I spoke to said I had a 90 day window and that I could send a cancellation notice via email. Then she transferred me to another department which told me a different story. They were nasty and rude. They told me that their policy is auto renewals no exceptions. I will contact every department that I have to make this unfair practice stop. I will contact the better business bureau, the FTC, and local regulators. I will also share my story with all of social media so that people know not to buy their security system.

Beware!! This company will steal your money!! They will not allow you to cancel even after your contract is expired!! They automatically renew you for one more year without notice. Terrible customer service!! And management is a joke. 1,296.48 is what they took!! Don't fall into the same trap I did.

I had to move to another state but CSG would not allow me to cancel. They told me that they would put my account on hold. They then began to bill me monthly. Now to disconnect services I have to give a written notice and pay balance. This is the first time I heard of notice process after calling them numerous times requesting a disconnection. Unethical practices...bait and switch. Be careful as the agreements renew automatically for one year. They renew without informing customers and lock you into a multi-year contract that is very difficult to end once you get wind of their scheme.

Central Security Group Company Profile