3.0/5 (227 ratings)

About SimpliSafe

SimpliSafe designs wireless home security systems that are easy to install with no drilling or tools. With a wide array of sensors and security cameras, SimpliSafe offers all-encompassing protection plus integrated apps that make system control possible from anywhere. It provides seamless 24/7 alarm monitoring without the long-term contracts and sky-high prices of traditional home security companies.

Find Home Alarm and Security Systems partners near you

Pros

• Affordable plans
    • Highly customizable packages
    • Simple DIY installation

Cons

• Upfront equipment costs

Bottom Line

SimpliSafe has one of the most affordable home security system plans on the market. You do have to pay for the equipment, but packages are highly customizable, and the DIY installation is easy.

Top SimpliSafe Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

SimpliSafe is an easy to setup home security option. We've always had great interactions with their customer service and the system works flawlessly. The system is easily customiz...

Verified

Our family has found SimpliSafe to be reliable, affordable and a plus was; it was a breeze to install! No high pressure sales pitches whatsoever... You pick and choose what you fe...

How does SimpliSafe work?

SimpliSafe is a home security company that offers DIY systems with low monitoring costs. The base monitoring plan is $14.99 a month, and the DIY setup is straightforward. All you have to do is place the base station near the center of your home, plug it in and adhere the peel-and-stick sensors to the wall. SimpliSafe offers month-to-month contracts, so you don’t have to commit to a long-term agreement.

SimpliSafe cost

With a base plan starting at just $14.99 a month — half the price of some of its competitors — SimpliSafe is one of the cheapest home security systems available. Additional equipment is extra and can cost anywhere from $230 to $490.

SimpliSafe plans

SimpliSafe has two monitoring options: professional and self-monitored. You can buy equipment without a professional monitoring plan if you want to keep an eye on things yourself. The professional monitoring plan comes with 24/7 monitoring, emergency dispatch, unlimited recording and weather monitoring. The self-monitoring plan offers unlimited video footage and alerts for any triggered sensors, though there’s no police or EMT dispatch with this option.

Self-monitoring planLimited Pro MonitoringProfessional monitoring plan
    24/7 monitoring
    Environmental monitoring
    Video alarm verification
    Video alarm verificationYes, up to five camerasYes, up to 10 cameras
    Self-monitoring planYes, up to five cameras
    Limited Pro Monitoring
    Professional monitoring planYes, up to 10 cameras

SimpliSafe equipment

Once you choose a monitoring plan, you need to select an equipment package from SimpliSafe. The company offers five preset equipment packages — the cheapest is the Foundation at $229, and the priciest is the Haven at $489. However, keep in mind that these prices are just the upfront equipment cost and do not include the monthly monitoring fees. Check out the equipment included with some of the most popular packages:

Foundation package ($229)
    • Everything in Knox package
    • Panic button
    • Freeze sensor
    • Water sensor

You can also add on equipment to your SimpliSafe package. The equipment is affordable partly because the company sells original, proprietary accessories, which cuts out the middleman.

• Panic button: $19.99
    • Indoor camera: $99
    • Smart lock: $99

SimpliSafe FAQ

Who monitors SimpliSafe?
    It depends. If you choose a professionally monitored plan, its monitoring team offers 24/7 protection services. There’s also a DIY monitoring option, which lets customers self-monitor their devices without professional support.
    Is SimpliSafe wireless?
    Yes. SimpliSafe’s products work over wireless or cellular connection, meaning they don’t require a landline for operation. If you choose the Wi-Fi or wireless option, you’ll likely have more backup and connectivity than with cellular, although both are options.
    Can SimpliSafe be hacked?
    Yes, and it has happened in the past. Because it works over a cellular or wireless connection, it can be susceptible to hacking. The company has recently added encryption code that should help prevent this from happening in the future.
    Where do I buy SimpliSafe?
    It’s typical to buy these packages and products from the SimpliSafe website, Sam’s Club, Costco, Best Buy and Amazon, but they’re also available in various other locations, including Lowe’s and Walmart.
    Do I need a phone line for SimpliSafe?
    Nope. You can use Wi-Fi or connect to its cellular base station, depending on your preference and what your home’s set up for. Wi-Fi is the best option for consistent connectivity, but it might not be available for everyone.
    Does a SimpliSafe camera need Wi-Fi?
    No, but it might be better for connectivity. You can use the base station to connect over cellular data if you prefer.
    Can I use SimpliSafe without monitoring?
    Yes, SimpliSafe offers a self-monitoring plan.
    Does SimpliSafe have a doorbell camera?
    Yes. The SimpliSafe doorbell camera offers wide-angle HDR video. It costs $169 to add it to a package or to purchase by itself.

Is SimpliSafe good?

SimpliSafe is a solid option for an affordable home security system. We love that it has a self-monitoring and a professional monitoring option, a wide array of plans and plenty of customization options. The quick and painless DIY installation means you won’t lose a whole day setting up your system, too. If you’re looking for a reliable security system that doesn’t break the bank, SimpliSafe is definitely one to consider.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SimpliSafe?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

I built my system to include a base station, several door sensors, motion sensors and outdoor cameras. When the components arrived, they were extremely easy to set up and test. I did run into a couple minor equipment glitches which Simplisafe was quick to replace, no questions asked. I also spent a good deal of time on the phone with support staff resolving a wifi issue - which through systematic troubleshooting - we were able to resolve. I am 100% satisfied with the price/value, support received and APP. I love that I can remotely access my system and adjust settings all from my phone. Very happy I made this purchase - it has definitely improved my feelings of security.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

The alarm system is very user-friendly. The monitoring is very effective, staff is very professional and responsive. Overall, using the in home equipment is quite easy and verbal notifications are flawless. System notifies when battery changes are needed. Highly recommended home alarm system!

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Easy to set up, very reliable even in rural areas. Battery backup, internet out, no problem, you're still connected by your cell network. Easy to manage as well. I have had the police in my driveway 2 minutes after accidentally entering the wrong code. I have been notified at work as well when there was an alert. This is a system I highly recommend using SimpliSafe.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

We purchased our 1st Simplisafe system while living in IL ten years ago. We owned a large home so our system cost about $500 upfront. We had been using Vivant @ $149 a month. It paid for it self in less than a year. Monitoring is all of $15 a month. About 7 years ago we moved to TN. We left the system there and used it as a selling point.

We bought a 2nd system here for about $400 because we live in a smaller home. Everything has worked great. Last year upgraded to the new system. We needed a 2nd key fob so we called and granted they said there was a waiting time of approx. 40 min. But there is an option for them to call you back. We live out in the sticks and did have a break-in but the siren went off and scared the crap out of the burglar and they took off. We still have monitoring ($15 a month) so the Sheriff was here within 10 min. We will never buy anything else.

Original review: June 8, 2022

The system looks great and I love the sound of the voice. I love the designs of all of the devices and how they work. The customer service has been great so far and the price points are good overall. Here's the bad; all of the cameras, including the new outdoor camera have horrible picture quality, they take forever to view from your phone including the doorbell ringer/camera. Most of the time it will alert me that there is motion detected but the videos are almost never available to view.

They can't me out with new products but can take a year to get the product's apps to function for it. As far as I can tell the company does not offer their own instructional videos but rely on customers or reviewers to post them on YouTube. The batteries in the outdoor camera last about a week and need to be recharged and the solar panel for it that you pay for separately barely helps it at all. The door lock is horrible. Flimsy and doesn't engage the deadbolt fully no matter how much you make adjustments on it. I'm definitely going to pony up the money to get a real security camera system installed, with cameras that actually take decent images and can be viewed when it needs to be viewed.

Original review: June 6, 2022

**ZERO STARS** I bought a system 7 months ago and during set up none of the cameras worked. They apologized after hours of troubleshooting and said they would overnight me new cameras especially because we were going out of town. The camera never came, we waited 2 weeks for the camera to come because we called them AGAIN when we came back in town and the CSR said they forgot to send the replacement. So, we attempted to set up the cameras again with tech/CSR for hours on the phone and he said that he thinks they sent us an older camera by accident that doesn't work with our internet, He then suggested we DOWNGRADE our internet service quality to accommodate the old camera. I said I'd think about it because we have been with our service for 3 years. Also, why does your NEW equipment not work with today's internet speed?? STUPID!

SO then 2 months go by of us trying to trouble shoot and we are Now out of our 60 day return window. We had been told that all we need to do is continue troubleshooting with them to get it working properly and have everything working together with the hope that our alarms and the cameras will work together as one because NOW we cannot get our money (almost $ 400) back. All while they keep telling us they have a Liefetime Warranty and all we need to do is spend hours on the phone trying to get it to work as they do not do in home setup.

So, here we are... phone calls later having them send an entirely new system shipped to us because we didn't feel right trying to sell the current system we had, even though their CSR told us to, in hopes that the new system they're sending works. Just so we can turn around and sell it online ourselves in hopes to recover some of our money spent, which is actually nothing compared to the amount of time we spent on the phone. Warning you now... AVOID this BRAND, It's Products and Services at all costs!!!

Original review: June 2, 2022

Monitoring service is excellent. Customer service and order processing is awful! Placed an order on 5/27. On 5/28 I received ship notification and tracking number. As of 6/2 the item has not arrived at the USPS for shipment. I requested an online chat and 4 hours later still haven't been contacted. I called customer care they confirmed it was still in the warehouse pending shipment. Talked to customer care supervisor who had more excuses than solutions. She implied the memorial day holiday caused a delay. I'm sure it did, but that was 3 days ago. No reason why it sat for another 3 days. She actually suggested the post office hadn't picked it up yet. Mind you, the postal service and Simplisafe returned to work on Tuesday 5/31. I'm on the verge of changing to another service because of this level of service.

Resolution response: May 24, 2022

Escalated to a supervisor and was able to get back some of the function but not all. They still need to provide better training or diagnostic tools.

Original review: May 24, 2022

I was on a support call regarding not being able to see my timeline of activity. I was on this call for over an hour and 45 minutes only to be told that the plan I have been on basically does not have the feature to see my past activity and I would have to call every week to see if the system has been tested. For this loss of feature I get to pay an additional $3.00 a month. This has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I have systems at 2 locations. I am sorry I purchased the SimpliSafe products. Don’t take function away and expect the consumer to pay and not get any benefit..

Original review: May 18, 2022

I had been with SimpliSafe for 5.5 years. They upgraded their system 4 years ago because of of problems with their original system. They never informed me of the need to upgrade, but they were happy to take my monthly monitoring charge of $27.99. When I called to complain about that the system was not working for me, they wanted to sell me the "new & upgraded" system. After some further discussions, I asked to cancel my system, which they agreed to do. But they would not refund me the monthly monitoring charge of $27.99 which just deducted from my bank account yesterday. I expect better treatment of long-time customers.

Original review: May 7, 2022

I have had a Simplisafe alarm for about 6 years. Their equipment is functional and affordable priced but their actual contracting with a monitoring service here in L.A. is a complete disaster. I set off the alarm to see what would happen. No one called as I stared at my cell phone for 30 minutes. I then called their L.A. 'central station' To ask why they hadn't called they resorted to several obvious lies and far from cleverly done. They claimed they called- a lie. No record of any calls from them for that 30 minutes.

They said they called twice as I was paying for in the call instructions. They said the second call was answered by a message that this number is not in service. Really? Then if so why no redialing since according to your lies you called several minutes before and if so that infers you knew it was an active line, right? But no redial was made on the second fantasy attempt, long silence on the line after this clear logic by the completely non functional person that created the false log and was then backed up by her supervisor in her lies with the same silence after running thru her lies above that any calls were made to my cell phone and its call record proves this.

I don't know if they called my apt as I wasn't there but at my warehouse where the alarm was. After far more senseless babble from the lady and the supervisor that included repeating over and over references that were tangential nonsense and then tried suggesting to have me transferred to the SimpliSafe number- a phony move I had already been treated to that they again lied and said they weren't aware if they were open or closed it was after 7 pm. At the end of the third call from them I took this suggestion and was treated to a message that said to call during normal business hours as I pointed out 2 of the 3 central station employees that tried this suggestion and I of course pointed out that was a obvious cop-out and phony insincere move they knew would result in that message. So I said to her that would be a dodge after constant lying your attempting.

Then the lady detailed a record of phone calls to my 2 numbers that were no more than outright lies coming from phone log that was pure fabrication by her. And the phone records prove this. Previously I became aware years previous that the company is horribly run, and yes I should of changed right then from them. Here's a example. In the alarm log that appears in the simplisafe website for my account for your alarm which I have simply never monitored being busy I was victimized by employees in a large theft at night. They disabled the alarm and literally months later when I got sick at the beginning of covid I wondered why the system doesn't involve calling client if a critical change occurs in log activity and it the alarm sounded fine after setting it when I exiting it seemed it was still ok.

My point is - if for years the log of the door open sensor is ok and suddenly is creating no log daily of being active - why not a system by them that gives a call to the client warning of this change? There are other examples, the point is this company is horribly managed - do not trust them - they simply do not do their job, and in at least my case contract with utterly incompetently local monitoring services at least and has been very very poor service from them for years. So absolutely I should of moved long ago to any other service, that's totally on me and I own that.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Home Security partner.

SimpliSafe Company Information