Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.46/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Being safe should be simple. SimpliSafe designs home security systems that are wireless, cellular and user-friendly. With an ever-expanding arsenal of sensors and security cameras, SimpliSafe offers all-encompassing protection while integrated apps make comprehensive system control possible from anywhere. Seamless 24/7 alarm monitoring is provided without the long-term contracts and sky-high prices of traditional home security companies. Anyone can set up SimpliSafe in just a few minutes. No drilling. No tools. Visit our site today to start protecting your home!

BOTTOM LINE

SimpliSafe has one of the most affordable home security system plans on the market. You do have to pay for the equipment, but packages are highly customizable, and the DIY installation is easy.

PROS

• Affordable plans
    • Highly customizable packages
    • Simple DIY installation

CONS

• Upfront equipment cost

Top SimpliSafe Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about SimpliSafe?

This system, SimpliSafe, appears at the outset to be somewhat intimidating to install (self), but is very friendly. I am very happy with my system and the self install was actually fun.There is a one time purchase of hardware ... and no service contract. Customer service is also great.

Our children gave us SimpliSafe as a Christmas gift in 2018, we are very happy with our system … I absolutely love camera that was included in the package that my children bought for us! We can easily check on our pets and the house with these camera … I would recommend this system to anyone.

Protect Your Home

Get a professionally-installed home security system today.

Get Started

How does SimpliSafe work?

SimpliSafe is a home security company that offers DIY systems with a low monitoring cost. The base monitoring plan is $14.99 a month, and the DIY setup is straightforward. All you have to do is place the base station near the center of your home, plug it in and adhere the peel-and-stick sensors to the wall. SimpliSafe offers month-to-month contracts, so you don’t have to commit to a long-term contract.

SimpliSafe cost

With a base plan starting at just $14.99 a month — half the price of some of its competitors — SimpliSafe is one of the cheapest home security systems available. Additional equipment is extra and can cost anywhere from $230 to $490

SimpliSafe plans

SimpliSafe has two monitoring options: the Standard plan and the Interactive plan. The Standard plan is the most basic and comes with 24/7 monitoring on a cellular line. The Interactive plan is a more secure option that includes text notifications and the option to control and monitor the system remotely. You can also buy equipment without a professional monitoring plan if you want to watch things yourself.

Standard planInteractive plan
      24/7 monitoring
      Cellular connection
      Environmental monitoring
      Mobile app arm and disarm
      Mobile alerts
      Video alarm verification
      Unlimited camera recording
      Standard plan
      Interactive plan

SimpliSafe equipment

Once you choose a monitoring plan, you need to select an equipment package from SimpliSafe. The company offers five preset equipment packages — the cheapest is the Foundation at $229, and the priciest is the Haven at $489. However, these prices are just the upfront equipment cost and do not include the monthly monitoring cost. Check out the equipment included with some of the most popular packages below:

Foundation package ($229)
      • 3 additional entry sensors
      • Panic button
      • Freeze sensor
      • Water sensor

You can buy added equipment from SimpliSafe. The equipment is affordable partly because the company sells original, proprietary accessories, which cuts out the middleman.

• Panic button: $19.99
      • Glass break sensor: $34.99
      • Motion sensor: $29.99
      • Entry sensor: $14.99
      • Video Doorbell Pro: $169
      • SimpliCam: $99
      • Smart lock: $99

Is SimpliSafe good?

SimpliSafe is a great home security system. We love that they have affordable monitoring choices and a wide array of plans as well as plenty of customization options. The quick and painless DIY installation means you won’t lose a day setting up your system. If you’re looking for a reliable security system that doesn’t break the bank, it’s hard to go wrong with SimpliSafe.

SimpliSafe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SimpliSafe?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

Tired of my home security provider raising prices, so looked into SimpliSafe DIY security systems. The company came highly-rated by organizations I trust, so I took advantage of their sale and ordered a complete system knowing that I could return it within 60 days for a full refund. As promised it arrived at my door in 4 days. I was a bit concerned about self-installation, but I dove in as if I knew what I was doing. From opening the shipping box to final system test took only 45 minutes. 4 entry sensors, 2 motion detectors, smoke detector, freeze detector, camera and keypad were up, tested, and fully operational in that time. I tried the "test" mode and within 30 seconds got a text from Simplisafe telling me they received my test signal.

They give you three days to play with your system before they fully initiate the monitoring feature (i.e., the won't call the authorities until they check with you first). That gave me confidence to play around with the system without generating false alarms. Today the full monitoring went into effect. I tried the "test" mode again and got an immediate phone call from the center confirming my test. My old provider never responded this way to a test. My experience with the help center couldn't have been better. The equipment seems to be well made and well designed. And I can replace components myself if need be. I don't have to pay a tech $100+ per hour to do simple tasks I could do myself if I had the parts. So, goodbye forever to the old, high-priced company, and welcome to the wireless, WiFi and cellular world.

Original review: July 26, 2019

I, because of my fault, caused a false alarm. The Sheriff's office was dispatched very quickly and arrived within approximately 5 minutes. I say my fault because my house was in complete disarray so I could not be contacted to verify that an actual break-in was not in progress. SimpliSafe is in my opinion the absolute best system for the price.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 23, 2019

SimpliSafe is a great system if you need something that can be moved about. Initially it is expensive, however it is a permanent solution or a need for alarm system. I have been very pleased with the system and the response time when alarm is set off. Initially I was needing a doorbell video sound system. However SimpliSafe did not offer it at that time. I do not have the video doorbell.

Original review: July 21, 2019

SimpliSafe is a great entry level alarm system. It's very easy to install, set up, arm/disarm and monitor remotely. The alarm company is very good at calling the folks on the notification list before calling the police, so you can eliminate false alarms before they happen. The system can be configured to chime when doors or windows are opened, so even when your alarm system is not armed, you're aware of people coming and going. It will notify you of open doors or windows if you're leaving and attempting to set the alarm.

It can also be configured to just monitor the perimeter entry points of your house or apartment while you are home. That way your doors and windows are monitored while you are sleeping and will trigger if opened. This mode is not recommended if you are prone to sleepwalking. It will also notify you when batteries in sensors are low by telling you it can't contact a sensor. It will show the sensor's code on the alarm panel (which is a bit cryptic) but you can easily log onto your configuration screen and find out which sensor is missing, provided you gave them good names when you set them up online. You did remember to give them good names, right?

I really like the fact that you can add to the system in an a la carte manner with smoke alarms, freeze sensors, water sensors, glass breakage sensors, door and window sensors, PIR motion detectors. However, buying a la carte will be more expensive than buying a complete kit. There was a great deal on a kit system on Amazon during Prime Days recently. They also have cameras that you can add, and you can monitor the cameras remotely, but the recording storage fees are WAY too high. You can select whether or not you want 24/7 monitoring at all. The monthly monitoring fees are competitive, with the exception of the aforementioned camera recording storage fees.

Check with your local law enforcement agency or city hall to see if there is an alarm permit required. Some municipalities will charge an annual fee if you have an alarm system. I suspect the alarm permit is required so they can get your info on who to hold responsible for false alarms. It does NOT interface with Amazon Alexa or with Google Home, or any other smart home system. There are other systems out there that DO interface with a smart home system, so if that is important, then SimpliSafe is not what you are looking for.

Original review: July 20, 2019

We have been very happy with SimpliSafe. We use to have another company but they drilled into the windows to put the sensors on and were extremely expensive, as well as the initial setup. With Simplisafe there was no one that came out, but they sent instructions and were available via phone. It was extremely easy and did not wreck the windows, etc. The operation is easy as well as they stand behind their equipment. If anything doesn't work the system lets you know and they send a replacement immediately.

Original review: June 24, 2020

I never thought I’d get robbed by a home security company... It’s been weeks since I returned my order and I’ve yet to receive a refund. I decided to return the product after reading a number of critical reviews on their cameras. I put their return label on the unopened box and sent it back to them. After multiple attempts to contact customer support to get an ETA on the refund, they finally wrote back with an evasive answer. I ended up needing to get American Express involved... I’d advise anyone looking at SimpliSafe to reconsider.

Original review: June 24, 2020

I purchased the essentials kit and never received a confirmation email or any information. After my purchase I was prompted to set up an account with email and login on the website, but when I tried to login to see the status of my order it doesn't recognize my email. It says it has to send a confirmation email, but when I get the email it disappears before I can open it to confirm my email. So I'm $300 down with absolutely nothing to show for it. Customer service puts you on hold with no answer. Tomorrow I will dispute the charge with my bank to at least get my money back.

Original review: June 23, 2020

I contacted them about how to set the system to stop the flashing light and also to be able to use it without monitoring. If you are looking after someone with dementia or Alzheimer's you know that the person may open the door and set alarm off. I never received an answer. It's like when they found out I didn't want the monitoring, they just didn't bother to help me. I have since seen other reviews complaining about the lack of customer service - wish we had seen them before.

Original review: June 18, 2020

Unfortunately, I have not experience the product. But the customer service is horrible. I am a new customer. I have ordered everything online totalling $800.00. I called in asking about when my product was supposed to arrive. I found out that my purchase is under fraudulent review. They cannot figure out why the billing address was different from the shipping address. I tried to explain to them that I live in a rural area and that the United Post office do not deliver to the house. So all mail goes to the P.O. Box. He did not seem to understand that. He said that they are going to cancel my order in 48 hours. But then why did they already took $800 out of my bank account?

Original review: June 17, 2020

I bought two systems about 2 years ago. I flip houses for a living and put these in the homes when we install the new appliances. I have not been able in the past 10 months to get my systems to work properly and connect to the monitoring service.

When I called tech support, finally after an hour of trying all kinds of resets, they told my they would upgrade the sim cards for the base stations. I got the new sim cards, but then couldn't connect to the keypad. Called tech support again and learned I had to reset the the base station and keypad. There were NO instructions with the sim cards, nothing explaining you had to reset the keypad.

After resetting the keypad I still couldn't activate the system because one of the door sensors wouldn't re-connect to the keypad. I replaced the battery in the sensor but still couldn't connect. Faced with another hour on the phone with tech support, I decided to remove the system. When I called to cancel the monitoring service (which was never really activated because the system would not communicate with the service), I was put on hold for 15 minutes before a rep picked up. Then that rep transferred me to the "Customer Retention Dept" and I got put on hold again!

What is there to retain when I tell them I have sold the property and don't need security?? You can set up new service on their website but you cannot cancel without calling in. When I first set up the systems two years ago at other properties I had similar problems - mainly the base station couldn't connect to the monitoring service due to poor cell signal strength. I am in downtown Jacksonville, Florida. My cell phone had great signals, but the base stations, using the same cell carrier, had poor signals. I have given up with Simplisafe. Too many technical problems and long hold and talk times when calling customer service. I will find another DIY system.

SimpliSafe author review by Ben Mannes

SimpliSafe’s monitored home security plans start at $14.99 a month. All systems require DIY installation and include a three-year warranty and 60-day money-back guarantee. SimpliSafe does not require a long-term contract.

• Security equipment: Home security packages start at $229 for a base station, wireless keypad, entry sensor and motion sensor. Upgrade to include a keychain remote, an extra motion sensor, three additional entry sensors, a siren, a panic button, a freeze sensor and a water sensor. Fire and environment sensors are also available.

• Security features: SimpliSafe’s free smartphone app lets you remotely arm or disarm your home security system from anywhere.

• Monitoring services: Choose a monitored or unmonitored system. Rates for monitoring start at $14.99 a month, and you can upgrade at any time. Without monitoring, your SimpliSafe system operates like a local alarm.

• Installation: Systems are designed to be self-installed in a matter of minutes. Because they’re wireless, you won’t need to drill holes or run wire through your house.

• Trial period: SimpliSafe has a 60-day money-back guarantee.

by Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

SimpliSafe Company Information