3.6/5 (329 ratings)

About SimpliSafe

SimpliSafe designs wireless home security systems that are easy to install with no drilling or tools. With a wide array of sensors and security cameras, SimpliSafe offers all-encompassing protection plus integrated apps that make system control possible from anywhere. It provides seamless 24/7 alarm monitoring without the long-term contracts and sky-high prices of traditional home security companies.

Find Home Alarm and Security Systems partners near you

Pros

• Affordable plans
    • Highly customizable packages
    • Simple DIY installation

Cons

• Upfront equipment costs

Bottom Line

SimpliSafe has one of the most affordable home security system plans on the market. You do have to pay for the equipment, but packages are highly customizable, and the DIY installation is easy.

Top SimpliSafe Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Verified

How does SimpliSafe work?

SimpliSafe is a home security company that offers DIY systems with low monitoring costs. The base monitoring plan is $14.99 a month, and the DIY setup is straightforward. All you have to do is place the base station near the center of your home, plug it in and adhere the peel-and-stick sensors to the wall. SimpliSafe offers month-to-month contracts, so you don’t have to commit to a long-term agreement.

SimpliSafe cost

With a base plan starting at just $14.99 a month — half the price of some of its competitors — SimpliSafe is one of the cheapest home security systems available. Additional equipment is extra and can cost anywhere from $230 to $490.

SimpliSafe plans

SimpliSafe has two monitoring options: professional and self-monitored. You can buy equipment without a professional monitoring plan if you want to keep an eye on things yourself. The professional monitoring plan comes with 24/7 monitoring, emergency dispatch, unlimited recording and weather monitoring. The self-monitoring plan offers unlimited video footage and alerts for any triggered sensors, though there’s no police or EMT dispatch with this option.

Self-monitoring planLimited Pro MonitoringProfessional monitoring plan
    24/7 monitoring
    Environmental monitoring
    Video alarm verification
    Video alarm verificationYes, up to five camerasYes, up to 10 cameras
    Self-monitoring planYes, up to five cameras
    Limited Pro Monitoring
    Professional monitoring planYes, up to 10 cameras

SimpliSafe equipment

Once you choose a monitoring plan, you need to select an equipment package from SimpliSafe. The company offers five preset equipment packages — the cheapest is the Foundation at $229, and the priciest is the Haven at $489. However, keep in mind that these prices are just the upfront equipment cost and do not include the monthly monitoring fees. Check out the equipment included with some of the most popular packages:

Foundation package ($229)
    • Everything in Knox package
    • Panic button
    • Freeze sensor
    • Water sensor

You can also add on equipment to your SimpliSafe package. The equipment is affordable partly because the company sells original, proprietary accessories, which cuts out the middleman.

• Panic button: $19.99
    • Indoor camera: $99
    • Smart lock: $99

SimpliSafe FAQ

Who monitors SimpliSafe?
    It depends. If you choose a professionally monitored plan, its monitoring team offers 24/7 protection services. There’s also a DIY monitoring option, which lets customers self-monitor their devices without professional support.
    Is SimpliSafe wireless?
    Yes. SimpliSafe’s products work over wireless or cellular connection, meaning they don’t require a landline for operation. If you choose the Wi-Fi or wireless option, you’ll likely have more backup and connectivity than with cellular, although both are options.
    Can SimpliSafe be hacked?
    Yes, and it has happened in the past. Because it works over a cellular or wireless connection, it can be susceptible to hacking. The company has recently added encryption code that should help prevent this from happening in the future.
    Where do I buy SimpliSafe?
    It’s typical to buy these packages and products from the SimpliSafe website, Sam’s Club, Costco, Best Buy and Amazon, but they’re also available in various other locations, including Lowe’s and Walmart.
    Do I need a phone line for SimpliSafe?
    Nope. You can use Wi-Fi or connect to its cellular base station, depending on your preference and what your home’s set up for. Wi-Fi is the best option for consistent connectivity, but it might not be available for everyone.
    Does a SimpliSafe camera need Wi-Fi?
    No, but it might be better for connectivity. You can use the base station to connect over cellular data if you prefer.
    Can I use SimpliSafe without monitoring?
    Yes, SimpliSafe offers a self-monitoring plan.
    Does SimpliSafe have a doorbell camera?
    Yes. The SimpliSafe doorbell camera offers wide-angle HDR video. It costs $169 to add it to a package or to purchase by itself.

Is SimpliSafe good?

SimpliSafe is a solid option for an affordable home security system. We love that it has a self-monitoring and a professional monitoring option, a wide array of plans and plenty of customization options. The quick and painless DIY installation means you won’t lose a whole day setting up your system, too. If you’re looking for a reliable security system that doesn’t break the bank, SimpliSafe is definitely one to consider.

SimpliSafe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SimpliSafe?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Easy to set up, very reliable even in rural areas. Battery backup, internet out, no problem, you're still connected by your cell network. Easy to manage as well. I have had the police in my driveway 2 minutes after accidentally entering the wrong code. I have been notified at work as well when there was an alert. This is a system I highly recommend using SimpliSafe.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

We purchased our 1st Simplisafe system while living in IL ten years ago. We owned a large home so our system cost about $500 upfront. We had been using Vivant @ $149 a month. It paid for it self in less than a year. Monitoring is all of $15 a month. About 7 years ago we moved to TN. We left the system there and used it as a selling point.

We bought a 2nd system here for about $400 because we live in a smaller home. Everything has worked great. Last year upgraded to the new system. We needed a 2nd key fob so we called and granted they said there was a waiting time of approx. 40 min. But there is an option for them to call you back. We live out in the sticks and did have a break-in but the siren went off and scared the crap out of the burglar and they took off. We still have monitoring ($15 a month) so the Sheriff was here within 10 min. We will never buy anything else.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 15, 2021

SimpliSafe is an easy to setup home security option. We've always had great interactions with their customer service and the system works flawlessly. The system is easily customizable both in actual devices as well as settings for those devices. The ability to set additional passwords for relatives or neighbors is very handy. The smartphone app is great for keeping track of your systems status as well as being able to arm/disarm and change settings on the fly.

Original review: May 5, 2021

Our family has found SimpliSafe to be reliable, affordable and a plus was; it was a breeze to install! No high pressure sales pitches whatsoever... You pick and choose what you feel would be best for your family. Our alarm has gone off a few times and they call within a few seconds to find out what is going on and if we're ok or need police, etc. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

Original review: May 1, 2021

Simpli Safe is simple to install and easy to use. We have installed the system in my daughter's college apartment and moved it each year when she has changed apartments. I would recommend Simpli Safe especially if you are someone who is renting and moves often. It also saves having an alarm company come out and install a system or try to update a system that is already in place because you have the ability to install it yourself.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

I've had a really poor experience with SimpliSafe and would hate anyone else to spend the money like I did. You need to purchase the equipment, which was fine for me. However, the door lock didn't work. I connected with their team three times for a replacement, they assured me it would be sent, and it never did. It's now past the 60-day window, and I cannot get a refund.

I also purchased their product in the hopes someone could set this up for me (it seems like you can do that from their site). They send you to a 3rd party vendor who isn't available for months (which means if you do not like the service and you're not tech-savvy, you're out $600-$800). Whole setup seems like a bait and switch. I'm shocked at some of the positive reviews, I wouldn't recommend this to my worst enemy. There are most certainly better products out there.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

I'll start by stating that SimpliSafe is not equipped to handle customer support requests. My emails continue to receive auto-responses and no agents have been able to assist me with anything. I needed an email support ticket to send in data (screenshots, scans, etc), but was unable to do so. This is concerning to me, should I experience any future issues, that I will be told to call and wait on hold on the phone. The lack of customer support is critical to the decision making process for a product and service like this.

Here was my timeline: 1. I used their website to build my own system. I spent time designing the system and then 'saved' the system. I received an email letting me know it was saved. Upon clicking on the link in the email, it took me to...an empty shopping cart. No system anywhere, and no way to retrieve it. Lost. 2. I decided to simply place my order. I built up my system and then proceeded to checkout. The website then reloaded the same shopping cart step over and over. No errors. I triple checked the input. No issues at all. The cart simply wouldn't proceed and let me complete my transaction. I was unable to resolve the issue.

3. I called the number on the website to report the issue. The agent was very nice and proceeded to help me place my order via the phone. The agent repeated everything back to me and I checked it off my list. It all appeared to be correct. I placed my order. Then, I never received an invoice or sales receipt. Nothing at all. Silence. My card was charged, but no email confirmations. I tried creating an account with my matching email address. Upon doing so, I was able to sign in and see My Account. There was nothing there. No orders. Nothing.

At this point I was concerned that they spelled something incorrect via the phone order. I emailed customer support. They want me to call in (still not sure why they have an email support if they want to force me to call). However, I do not believe it's my responsibility to wait on hold for their support system, when the error is in their own operations. This was not a user error, this was a SimpliSafe error across the board.

I receive a shipment notification. It told me my order would arrive in 5 days, but the email did not contain any way for me to actually see my order. I could only track via the carrier. Then I receive a shipment notification that it's been delayed by 3 days. Understandable given holiday timelines. I receive a package 3 days later from SimpliSafe...for a completely different customer. I opened the box to review, and have the pack list for the other customer (with their name and address on the list).

2 days later I receive a package from SimpliSafe, which appears to be my package. However, it does not contain all items from my order (which is what I wanted to confirm in the first place, but still, as of this moment, have no way to see my order. No invoice. No sales receipt). Given their inability to handle these basic operations, I don't have much confidence in them as a company to handle my security. Now I'm left with 2 boxes of goods and no customer support. I am but a single situation (I hope others have much better luck!), but wanted to share my experience.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

I ordered a system in September. It was delivered by FedEx and left outside on a table by the deliverer despite easy access to at three covered areas. Rain came and soaked the system. Simplisafe, who chose the carrier, tried to blame me for Fedex's laziness. Another system was delivered that does not work, then another rain soaked system (Simplisafe loves Fedex), and system #4 was delivered to the wrong address by USPS and presumably lost according to Simplisafe. During a four month period there was no follow up or concern shown by Simplisafe. Still have no workable system and they simply don't care. Never, and I repeat never, do business with this company. The level of incompetence and poor customer service is beyond belief.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

With the plan that I’m on, It seems that the video recordings will delete after 30 days but the timeline will stay forever, who needs to keep messages like doorbell rang, motion detected, or system activated, or system off?? But if you can’t delete this timeline, it just keeps using memory on your devices for no real reason. I’ve contacted SimpliSafe’s techs several times about this problem and after more than a year all I get is a response of they're looking into this issue. Don’t you think that after a year they would be able to link the timeline and recordings to delete together when they're not important enough to keep, And if you have the 2 camera recording timeline, the recordings and events stay on your device as long as you use this plan.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2021

Been with them since about 2014. Equipment - when you can get what you want/need - is great. But their service/customer service is terrible. One, unless your situation fits into a "can" that SimpliSafe has already constructed (often in form of very useless FAQs) - or if you do NOT KNOW enough to go that route - they are useless. Their e-mail responses make it absolutely obvious that they do not EVEN READ your communications to them; and EVERY RESPONSE is actually an attempt to sell you a new system or a rather expensive add-on/ accessory that you did not even mention, and is NOT EVEN RELATED to your concern. Do NOT try to re-ask.... You WILL GET THE EXACT SAME (CANNED) non-relevant response.... The intention of which is to Sell-Sell-Sell. And for whatever reasons, they will INSIST upon you calling - and the number they give is NOT actual Customer Service, but rather a sales office.

My only negative about their equipment is that almost all the higher cost items use batteries that the customer/user can NOT replace.... So (you guessed it) you have to BUY another. Been going through this rodeo of Simplisafe "customer service" for about 7 years... Even bought a system this year for my daughter. Don't know why I keep doing it. It's not just DIY; it's also YOYO (You're On Your Own).

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Home Security partner.

SimpliSafe Company Information