1.48/5

Need a home alarm?

74 SimpliSafe Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

This is advertised as a no monthly fee required product. Hooey!! If you want to monitor your home with a smart device the 24.99 monthly fee is required, if you want to use this as a monitored alarm only it will be 14.99 per month. If you do not pay this is just an overpriced noise maker. Sent mine back after 4 repeated attempts to contact customer service and being on hold for over 30 minutes, then sent emails. Refund was very delayed. SimpliSafe received my returned product (Unopened unused) and it 2 took phone calls and 15 days to get them to process the credit and give me a confirmation number; Then I was told it would be another 4-7 days for credit to show. There are better options available. Find another company... No savings here compared to any other monitoring company and no customer service.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I tried to order online, twice, using two different valid credit cards, both transactions were declined by their system. I called and was on hold for over 10 mins and hung up; called back and pressed the option for "technical issues" but that person could not help me with sales and I should call back for sales. Hmm... I think I'll go with my gut.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Purchase SimpliSafe one year ago for my seasonal home. Base station lost connection to dispatch while I was out of town. Paid for monitoring services for 5 months when system was not being monitored. Tried to resolve base station problem with customer service when I returned home without success. Poor system and customer service.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I initially went online and requested that they recommend a system, which they did. I wanted more sensors than they recommended so I asked that they also add those to the quote. A free camera was offered in the original quote and was requested by me, after requesting the update I was advised that there was (IN ADDITION) a 10% discount being offered. Guess what? I got the 10% and no camera. I have been sending emails since I ordered and no one reads the content, just a general apology and no comprehension of what is being said in my emails.

Requested a direct email address for a supervisor, response was leave a phone number. No call since Friday. The main problem is that all emails seem to go to a general mail box and you get a response from someone different each time. All I wanted to do was pay the discount back and get my free camera. They can not understand this. Now I am requesting a return, and for some reason they want to help me resolve my technical difficulties I am having with the system. Again no one there can comprehend what they see in my email(s).

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

We installed Simplisafe in January 2018. The package included a base station, entry sensors, motion sensors, and keychain panic alarm. In general that has been working fine. However, we purchased two indoor cameras and additional motion sensors. Initially, both cameras were working fine and we had LIVE recording when needed. After about 5 months, one camera was not working. Eventually a replacement was sent. Camera still didn't work. The Tech Support person said it could be a weak WIFI signal & recommended increasing the bandwidth, internet speed, and changing the modem. We did it all and not only is the one camera still not working, but neither is the second one! The technicians have all responded quickly every time I called, but there still have not been any solutions. We've wasted a lot of time and money with this product and its monthly service fee.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SimpliSafe?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Never answer call. Wait 45 minute hang up. Tried again 25 minute gave up. Service really sucks. They have the number. Why not call back After the call got disconnected? Need to callback after the call get disconnected.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

E-mail sent to SimpliSafe: This is a brief response to your question: "How'd we do?" I have spent two hours speaking with technical support at your company and with my internet provider because the camera supplied by SimpliSafe will not connect with the internet. It sees and connects with my router but not the internet. I have a high speed internet connection which continues to function very well.

Apparently your camera system is intended to function with a 2.4Gh WIFI only. I have a newer Google router which supports 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz but it is not possible to separate the two bands to dedicate one to the SimpliSafe system camera, which does see and connect with the Google router but does not distinguish and select the 2.4 Ghz band to connect to the internet. As to the rest of the system I have followed instructions in setting up the base unit, a motion sensor and a magnetic sensor on an entry door. To date this system has not functioned - i.e. no alarms or alerts when I program as away and then enter my home to test its function. At this point I have wasted the purchase price and several hours of time.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I have been using this system for 2 years, work perfectly and customer service is great. Their service can't be beat. If you need to add to your system order the item when it arrives. Go to your desktop program name and add the items to your system. It is just that easy.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

The cameras themselves were very easy to set up and do the job well. The web and mobile apps, however, are simply not user-friendly. You have to scroll through all recordings to get to an earlier date. Then once you get to the day you want, if you open a video to view it, when you close the video to see if another contains the recordings/images you need, the apps send you back to the top (i.e., current day and time) and you have to repeat the entire scrolling process. There should be a "jump to date" feature, but I guess they haven't thought of that.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

If I could give them 0 stars I would. Customer Service/Tech Support is AWFUL. Right out of the gate our base station didn't work. Multiple frustrating calls later, they sent us a new base station. (They've since had to send us 2 more new ones due to malfunction.) I've had to call them 3 times in the past two weeks because our base station wasn't working again. Each time I was on hold for at least 15 mins before reaching someone. Each phone call took at least 20-30 minutes as they tried to troubleshoot what was wrong. They finally sent a new base station, which I had to call back in to activate (another 30 mins!). They confirmed everything was working and two days later it stopped working. Again.

I spent 40 mins on the phone with them today "troubleshooting." I finally had to hang up and go to work with no answer. The customer service person offered to set up a call-back appointment with her supervisor to continue to troubleshoot. She set the appointment up for 8:30 tonight. Surprise, surprise, no call. We've tried to call them multiple times but get a message saying "our office is closed." Their site says they are open until midnight EST and it is currently 10:15 EST. So, once again, we sit here with an alarm that's not working, and no one taking responsibility for fixing it. We will be cancelling our service tomorrow. Save yourself hours of hassle and headaches. DON'T DO IT!!!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I really wanted to use this system. We bought the SimpliSafe system 6 months ago because it was on sale but we hadn't finished our remodel yet and was not ready to install, I'm now ready to install but only to find that the sensors are so big (3" L x 2.25" H x 1.5" W) that will not fit in the window area they hit the blinds or don't fit at all so I went to their site to see what options I have and I see now that they have a new system that has very small sensors so I called them to see if I get the new sensors. I talked a customer service person and she told me that there is nothing they can do and I would have to buy a whole new system as the new sensors are not compatible, I asked if I could return it for credit (Still New In The Box) as it is new and I never opened anything but one sensor and I would buy the new system, still no it been over 60 days no returns.

I also talked to 2 managers they told me the same thing, this is just poor customer service. All I wanted was a system I could use and I would start sending them $14.95 a month but now I'm going sell this on eBay and go with another company. If this is how SimpliSafe wants to start a relationship with a new customer it's a BAD start. How are things going to be down road, what I'm I going run into, sorry just not going with SimpliSafe and can't recommend them to anyone, this is their loss not mine, just stay away.

Original review: July 28, 2018

My purchase and installation of SimpliSafe went fine. However after several month I starting receiving a lot of "No link to Dispatcher" messages. After contacting Customer Svc I was told it should fix itself but if not I was given instruction on how to reboot the system. The "No Link to Dispatch" just kept happening sporadically and would last sometimes for a week! I finally decided to cancel monitoring I mean after all I wasn't being monitored. I went to their website and guess what there is no way to cancel monitoring online! So much for high tech.

So I called customer service on Saturday to cancel and was on hold for about 45 minutes! I was asked my reason for cancelling... their response was, "Oh I'm sorry..." Really! I requested a refund for the unused portion and was told no. I then requested to have the account cancelled at the end of my paid time period and I was told no. I was advised to call back if I wish to cancel later! And be on HOLD another 45 mins... no TY! SimpliSafe is a company that wheels you in with their do it yourself allegedly high tech equipment and then dismiss you.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I installed a SimpliSafe system at my home just after I had a break-in/robbery. Shortly thereafter, I had several more break-ins/robberies and the alarm NEVER went off, so the police were never notified. When I realized what had happened, I called SimpliSafe and was told that on each occasion the alarm was working - and I insisted they test it each time. I was also told that the SimpliSafe unit does NOT recognize jamming attempts. The unit works off a T-Mobile cell phone signal; come to find out cell phone jammers are easily purchased online, albeit they are illegal to own. Needless to say, I WOULD DEFINITELY NOT RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT. STAY AWAY. I have read lots of other reviews by dissatisfied customers who have also had the same problem. And I've spoken with several other alarm companies who state it is a very poor system.

Original review: July 7, 2018

The system is good. Customer service is mostly good, there are some bad apples in the bag. I want them to alert me via a text message to my phone, in the case of a triggered alarm. The rep who communicated with me said there is no method to do so. He was not up to speed. If I pay a bit more each month, I will have the option of an SMS message. Another rep had issues understanding a different credit cards on my account. Again, their 2 issues were not with the alarm systems, they were with the company reps.

Original review: June 26, 2018

When we first got account, it worked like a charm. Then they changed service provider and everything went to hell. It does not work!!! Tells me my house is armed from app but in reality it’s not. Half the time it won’t even notify me if armed or disarmed. We have reloaded app and base station, everything is in sync. Have followed all troubleshooting tips with no luck at all. Customer service does NOT answer phone or do they even bother returning calls. We wasted a lot of money arming our home with them, don’t make the same mistake. SimpliSafe is simply a joke!

Original review: June 24, 2018

A while ago I clicked on a link from a very reputable company newsletter to get a quote for Simplisafe. Huge mistake. They will not stop emailing me. I’ve unsubscribed many times and I keep getting so many emails saying I am removed yet I continue to get their pesky emails. I have reported these emails and I intend to go further. In my opinion this is harassment to people who are not interested in their product. I’ve saved most all. I have to laugh because others seem to be not getting responses back from this company and I am not a customer yet I am getting bombarded with emails. Now for sure I would never buy from them.

Updated on 9/2/2018: Well, these pesky emails slowed down, but I am STILL receiving some from "DAVE" and I sure wish he'd leave me alone. I would NEVER buy anything that they make. I'll just put them in spam, but it is so annoying. I've purchased RING products and they are wonderful, and they don't keep sending emails. I wrote one of their prominent advertisers for help, but that didn't work. Now I just put them in my junk. Forwarding to spam@uce.gov didn't work either. Keep your email far away from them.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Worst customer service I have ever experienced. I called on 06/18/2018 and I was on the phone for about 20 minutes. Nobody answered the call. I got fed up and hung up the phone. This is not my first experience with their customer service. I wonder what would be their support to home security related calls if anyone opts for their service. Please think twice before you purchase their monitoring services.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I ordered SimpliSafe to replace my current home security system due to the monthly cost. I figured out what I needed and placed my order. When my wife called our current security provider (Monitronics), they ended up actually beating the cost of SimpliSafe's monitoring (it took her getting passed to a Senior Account Manager). I returned the SimpliSafe system without unboxing it. It was received on 29 May and I expected a return in 5-7 business days. Today, 8 June, has been 8 business days since SimpliSafe received the system back, even giving them 1 day to inventory, I should have had a refund posted to my credit card.

I called and talked to a customer service representative and when she looked into it, she informed me that the refund would take 5-7 business days. I then asked why so long, especially since SimpliSafe received the system 8 business days ago?? The rep put me on hold, talked to her supervisor, then came back and advised me that she had started the refund process. Which means that somewhere in their process for returned items, they failed to begin the refund process. While I have friends and relatives who have SimpliSafe and rave about it, it's a little disappointing how they handled the refund process, thus breaking their promise/statement on their website.

Original review: June 1, 2018

SimpliSafe called the police without my authorization after I triggered my own alarm by mistake. They supposed to call me before notifying the police. They never did. The phones today keep the call records and SimpliSafe or any company that they outsourced the calls is not there. Los Angeles police shows up after 2 hours and charges $189 for the “service”. Save your time and do not call SimpliSafe customer service, talk to the wall instead.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I ordered the service and never received a confirmation email. I called after 1 week in order to find out when I should receive the product. They said they had no record of my order yet took out $400 from my checking account (via debit card when I ordered). They kept me on the phone for at least 25 minutes asking stupid questions and finally said they would get back with me. After hearing nothing from them the next day, I realized this company is not legit. I sent an email to them asking for a refund. Of course they said they needed to speak with me. I simultaneously contacted my bank and submitted a dispute charge so that the bank could deal with them. This company is a scam. If you do receive your product it's shady, shoddy service at best. Do not trust these people - stay away!

Original review: May 24, 2018

It's a shame, this company has a great product which caught on beyond their ability to properly train their customer service reps. I will say prior to sale, their response to email inquiries is excellent, however, once you have a post-sale issue you experience the inconsistency and unprofessional of their staff. The lack of thorough training in all aspects drags this company to the bottom rung. I've encountered 45 minutes wait times on the weekend, reps who put me on hold numerous times because they did not know the answer, not even trained to pull up my order for reference. One occasion the background noise from what I assume are other employees (It was early on a Monday. Sounded like folks exchanging weekend stories). Product knowledge, interpersonal skills and tact are all lacking.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Trying to get in touch with customer service is an exercise in futility. I cannot tell you how long it will be. I only know after 30 min. I just give up. Left a message 3 weeks prior and it was not returned. After my 30 plus min. wait on the phone I have sent an email and a rather heartfelt message on the phone hoping for a return. I encourage anyone who is looking for a system for their home to please do your homework and factor in the peace of mind when it comes to the relationship between you and your provider.

SimpliSafe claims it has sold over two million units at around 500.00 a pop. You do the math. That's approximately 1,000,000,000. That's right 1 billion dollars. That's b as in billion. You would think that customer service would be number one on their list. I am not the only one with this beef. I have joined a host of current and those to whom will never return to SimpliSafe for the same reason. You would think the type of capital that this company generates It would be top notch. Personally, I think it is just plain old greed money above the concern of your customer. I believe this could be a GREAT company in the right hands, however, those that are running this company are running it straight into the ground.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I have been with SimpliSafe for years and was one of their original customers. Recently I ran into problems with the base station going offline and no report being sent that there was a problem. Since I have had the service as soon as there was some type of problem with the base station there would be an immediate notification. This comes in handy if the power gets cut to the base station or anything else that could put it offline. Once the base station goes offline your system is basically not alarming. I made many calls to customer service and they swore that SimpliSafe never had such a feature... Really. Are you kidding me.

Anyway the company has gotten so big the @ss doesn't know what the elbow is doing. Long story short I had to cancel my service and I found a comparable company that has many of the same features. They seem popping up all over. It is a shame that when company gets so big the customer service just goes right into the toilet. They used to have amazing customer service and technical support. At this point I no longer recommend SimpliSafe. If you're not notified when there are equipment troubles with the system it is pretty much a useless system.

Original review: May 7, 2018

They NEVER answer the phone. And I mean never. We used them for 2+ years. Never again. SimpliSafe has no problem taking your $$ but whenever something goes wrong on their end, they never answer the phone. I’m done with SimpliSafe; and to think at one time I actually recommended them to friends!!!!

Original review: May 4, 2018

From problems with the shoddy equipment to the customer NO service department, I cancelled my service today after a year and a half - and I only have the base package! Not much to go wrong - or so I thought. From having to replace the chip in the base station, to the key fob working part time at best, to the keypad just dying while I was trying to disarm it, the problems were endless. The dying keypad was the final straw. The alarm went off on a Sunday morning because I was unable to enter the code into the dying pad and the key fob wasn't working either. When they called to see if I needed assistance I could hardly even understand them over the loud, blaring alarm. I had no way to disarm it. When I was told I was being put on hold until someone could assist me with turning it off, I pitched a fit and they got someone on the line within a couple of minutes.

Apparently you have to raise hell to get anything done with these people. I was certainly not going to wait on hold for the hour+ time I've waited in the past. By the way, pressing 5 and leaving a message is fruitless. Don’t waste your time. I received a replacement pad, but when I attempted to set it up, I couldn't access the menu because of an error message displayed on the pad. Over the course of 12 days I called five times and left messages stating what the problem was and that I do not get home until at least 6 and to please call me back then. EVERY time I got a callback, it wasn’t the same evening, it was the next day before noon while I was at work and unable to access my equipment. When I finally got someone on the phone to cancel my service I was informed that I still had to pay for the entire month of monitoring because they can only refund the amount of $14.99... Good riddance!

Original review: April 30, 2018

I have been waiting for a refund of $168.00 for equipment that did not work in my area. I have been given the run around for about 2.5 months now- from their inability to coordinate returns from their own receiving area, my tracking number, the type of equipment returned, etc- the list of errors they made goes on and on. The unmannerly children who work there have incorrect credit card numbers on my account; one admitted to me- "wow- they really screwed this up!" I am unsure whose credit card they are charging.

Every time I call I am waiting excessively then some untrained idiot states he going to correct the billing errors, stated he did correct them- only to find no credit was given again- 3 weeks later- however they did manage to continue to bill my account for the monthly service. I called tonight and spoke to a snippy " Ann" and she HUNG up on me. This will be taken to the Mass Attorney General. Completely fraudulent and unprofessional office operations- how SAFE is my credit card? DO NOT RECOMMEND them at all. Will be going to ADT.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I am never so frustrated as when I have to contact SimpliSafe Customer Service. I literally have to take a vacation day from work because I know that I will be waiting in increments of half hours on hold. For such a supposedly progressive company, you would think that the "on hold" message could at least tell me what number I am in queue. Having said that, you also have to be aware that not every agent gives you the correct information. I purchased two security cameras about a month ago with the hopes of placing them inside the house but pointing outside the window to pick up motion. I was told this would work. However, while the cameras can see movement, you will only know that if you are watching online. You won't get a text/email notification unless someone triggers one of the house sensors. Two phone calls later, I finally got an agent who told me this and, "Oh by the way, we can't refund your money... Try selling the cameras on eBay."

I have to say that I am happy with the Alarm Service and the cost of the product but you really, really have to weigh the Customer Service experience with the product. I won't be building on my system any further and have started to research other alarm systems with a better Customer Service rating. I could almost live with the camera issue but I keep hearing on the radio and TV how this company went from 60 people to 600 and they still don't answer the phone within a reasonable amount of time (unless you hit Option 1, Sales. They are pretty quick to speak to new customers, not existing ones).

Original review: April 5, 2018

The alarm system went off when my wife accidentally opened the front door when the system was armed. My wife quickly went down the hallway to the keypad alarm and turned off the system. The front door has an entry sensor and a camera monitoring it 24/7. I logged onto the SimpliSafe website to look at the incident and the video of my wife opening and shutting the front door. The video was missing so I called SimpliSafe and had to listen to 36 minutes of how they were having technical difficulty with their camera system.

I asked that a supervisor call me the next day so I could get the issues resolved (no call the next day) so I am writing this review on Consumers Affairs. In short I pay to have this service functional 24/7, I am not interested in their excuses, perhaps if they would have sent me a text message warning me the of their failure it would be different. I do not recommend this system to anyone. Terrible communication and response to customer needs and request.

Original review: March 25, 2018

This is by far the worst company I have ever dealt with along with the worst alarm system on the market. Constant false alarms. Key chain remotes never work. Motion sensors go off for no reason. The customer service department has continually lied to me. First they said, "We will credit you for the new system." And now I call back a week later and the lady who I speak with says that I was told false info, REALLY WTF kind of operation are these people. Every time I call with another problem they just want to send me a replacement sensor or key fob or some other component that is bad again. ALL I CAN SAY IS STAY FAR AWAY FROM SIMPLE JUNK!!!

Original review: March 7, 2018

We've had our system for just under 3 weeks and since then, this company announced it was distancing itself from the NRA and would be discontinuing all discounts to NRA supporters. That in itself is discrimination but not they are not answering questions or concerns we have about this system or their unfair business practices. I've sent several emails and posted to their Facebook page without response. Here is the latest: "Your lack of response to customer's questions about distancing yourself from the NRA and discontinuing the discounts is certainly discrimination against NRA supporters. It's disgusting. Guns don't kill people... people kill people and you are penalizing and punishing a huge sector of your clientele (and future clientele) that hasn't done anything wrong. Do you think these crazies that committed these horrible acts are NRA supporters? I very seriously doubt it."

"If that's the case then all the murders committed on a daily basis in Chicago, Baltimore, L.A., and other crime-laden cities run by liberals is also the NRA's fault?

Perhaps THAT is blamed on NRA supporters too? That's insanity. Criminals don't support gun laws, don't buy guns legally, and could give two hoots about any of us that support the 2nd Amendment or the NRA. SimpliSafe should be working with the NRA to help protect Americans from crime rather than against it. As usual with liberals, your logic is twisted and totally anti-American."

Businesses like this one should never put themselves into the middle of a political issue and/or public debate, particularly if they are unwilling or unable to justify their actions. In this case, I no longer feel I can trust the safety and security of my home and family to a company that does not back my Constitutional rights under the 2nd Amendment. I have requested an RMA and prepaid shipping label to return our system under their 60 day returns policy and all I receive from them are canned email responses that do not answer or address my questions or concerns. I cannot in good conscience recommend this company for that reason alone, politics aside.

SimpliSafe expert review by Erin Raub

Choose from 2 plans for $14.99-$24.99, or 5 contract-free packages for $229-$499. A Build My System option is also available. All systems are do-it-yourself install with 3-year warranties.

• No contracts: SimpliSafe doesn’t require customers to sign a contract. You can cancel at any time if you’re unhappy with the service.

• DIY installation: To reduce costs, SimpliSafe security systems are designed to be self-installed in a matter of minutes. They arrive pre-programmed to work instantly. Because they’re wireless, you don’t need to worry about drilling holes or running wire through your house.

• Optional monitoring: You can decide whether or not you want to pay an additional fee for monitoring. Without monitoring, your SimpliSafe system will operate as a local alarm. Rates for monitoring start at 50 cents per day, and you can upgrade at any time.

• Free smartphone app: Take control of your SimpliSafe system by downloading SimpliSafe’s free smartphone app. The app allows you to remotely arm or disarm secure your home from anywhere in the world.

• Customizable: SimpliSafe’s system is completely customizable, so you can add products as you need them. Their system supports up to 41 sensors. In addition to security sensors, SimpliSafe offers fire and environment sensors.

Profile picture of Erin Raub
    Erin Raub Alarm & Security Systems Contributing Editor

Erin Raub is a freelance writer, content marketer and blogger. She writes about home security and family safety, as well as digital marketing and business. Erin is also an experienced travel writer, and knows having a trustworthy security system can make any time away from home even more enjoyable.

SimpliSafe Company Information