Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.18/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Being safe should be simple. SimpliSafe designs home security systems that are wireless, cellular and user-friendly. With an ever-expanding arsenal of sensors and security cameras, SimpliSafe offers all-encompassing protection while integrated apps make comprehensive system control possible from anywhere. Seamless 24/7 alarm monitoring is provided without the long-term contracts and sky-high prices of traditional home security companies. Anyone can set up SimpliSafe in just a few minutes. No drilling. No tools. Visit our site today to start protecting your home!

BOTTOM LINE

SimpliSafe has one of the most affordable home security system plans on the market. You do have to pay for the equipment, but packages are highly customizable, and the DIY installation is easy.

PROS

• Affordable plans
    • Highly customizable packages
    • Simple DIY installation

CONS

• Upfront equipment cost

Top SimpliSafe Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about SimpliSafe?

This system, SimpliSafe, appears at the outset to be somewhat intimidating to install (self), but is very friendly. I am very happy with my system and the self install was actually fun.There is a one time purchase of hardware ... and no service contract. Customer service is also great.

Our children gave us SimpliSafe as a Christmas gift in 2018, we are very happy with our system … I absolutely love camera that was included in the package that my children bought for us! We can easily check on our pets and the house with these camera … I would recommend this system to anyone.

Protect Your Home

Get a professionally-installed home security system today.

Get Started

How does SimpliSafe work?

SimpliSafe is a home security company that offers DIY systems with a low monitoring cost. The base monitoring plan is $14.99 a month, and the DIY setup is straightforward. All you have to do is place the base station near the center of your home, plug it in and adhere the peel-and-stick sensors to the wall. SimpliSafe offers month-to-month contracts, so you don’t have to commit to a long-term contract.

SimpliSafe cost

With a base plan starting at just $14.99 a month — half the price of some of its competitors — SimpliSafe is one of the cheapest home security systems available. Additional equipment is extra and can cost anywhere from $230 to $490

SimpliSafe plans

SimpliSafe has two monitoring options: the Standard plan and the Interactive plan. The Standard plan is the most basic and comes with 24/7 monitoring on a cellular line. The Interactive plan is a more secure option that includes text notifications and the option to control and monitor the system remotely. You can also buy equipment without a professional monitoring plan if you want to watch things yourself.

Standard planInteractive plan
      24/7 monitoring
      Cellular connection
      Environmental monitoring
      Mobile app arm and disarm
      Mobile alerts
      Video alarm verification
      Unlimited camera recording
      Standard plan
      Interactive plan

SimpliSafe equipment

Once you choose a monitoring plan, you need to select an equipment package from SimpliSafe. The company offers five preset equipment packages — the cheapest is the Foundation at $229, and the priciest is the Haven at $489. However, these prices are just the upfront equipment cost and do not include the monthly monitoring cost. Check out the equipment included with some of the most popular packages below:

Foundation package ($229)
      • 3 additional entry sensors
      • Panic button
      • Freeze sensor
      • Water sensor

You can buy added equipment from SimpliSafe. The equipment is affordable partly because the company sells original, proprietary accessories, which cuts out the middleman.

• Panic button: $19.99
      • Glass break sensor: $34.99
      • Motion sensor: $29.99
      • Entry sensor: $14.99
      • Video Doorbell Pro: $169
      • SimpliCam: $99
      • Smart lock: $99

Is SimpliSafe good?

SimpliSafe is a great home security system. We love that they have affordable monitoring choices and a wide array of plans as well as plenty of customization options. The quick and painless DIY installation means you won’t lose a day setting up your system. If you’re looking for a reliable security system that doesn’t break the bank, it’s hard to go wrong with SimpliSafe.

SimpliSafe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SimpliSafe?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

I just experienced my second base station failure on 8/24 and have received three different promises that a unit is shipping from 3 cust service reps. I have requested a supervisor call back and nothing for 5 days. I have told them I am going to another firm if they cannot replace my system with a working unit but all they do is transfer me around to different techs and reps. Never a conversation with a supervisor! Stay away from this company. I wonder if they are long for this world as a company!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

1. Product took over 3 weeks to arrive (during summer no winter storm issues).

2. Lack of follow up on customer service. So fed up just returned the product without even opening it.

3. Returned 3 weeks ago and customer service wants me to wait another 2 weeks for them to process order.

Frustrating that after giving them many tries to resolve the issues they just aren't technological there as a company with the infrastructure to service. How are they able to service me if I have a security issue if it's like this already and I haven't even used the system? Tried Ring while I was waiting for Simplisafe and it was so much easier to install, to receive, and service app is great. Like all the other recent reviews, I resonate with their experiences.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
        Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

On August 30th my base station continually was alarming and disarming itself all of a sudden and wouldn’t stop. I called technical support and after some time they concluded that the base station was bad. They said they would overnight me a new base station as well as a new keypad as they no longer offer the black option. The tech person said that I might not get it until Tuesday as it was later in the day on Sunday, I said OK, and we made sure just in case we would be home until Tuesday September 1st. Nothing ever came. Called back Tuesday August 31st. Spoke with tech support a lady named Andy, she said, "We are very sorry," and, "this will be sent out overnight," and I should have it the next day.

The next day September 1st nothing came and later that afternoon I spoke with tech support and asked for a supervisor, Got Kayla **. She was also very sorry and said I would have my replacement order the next day quote “Based on the tracking info for your package, it should be scheduled for delivery on Thursday 9/3/2020 USPS tracking number: **" end quote. Now keep in mind I had another tracking number. The next day that order never came and so on September 3rd I called tech support again and spoke with Scott N, ext**. On this day with Scott he was also sorry and said I would have it the next day- this is the email headline I received Replacement Invoice (from Scott N. on September 3rd, 2020), with installation instructions but no delivery date.

The next day nothing came, once again. I gave it another day, no delivery. So on September 5th, which is the day I’m writing this, I called again. I chose the prompt for tech support and after a considerable wait a lady named Jennifer pick up, I explained my reason for the call, she wasn’t there anymore and I was still speaking, the line was still connected, imagine that. So I called once again, customer service this time, waited again and then I spoke with Ruana. I will tell you this is the only lady that made no promises, but she did tell me some interesting information.

She said prior to any order going out, no exceptions, a 12-24 hour review is required. So what does that mean, no one can overnight anything and they all mislead me, great employees. Anyway, Ruana said that a tracking number was made, she gave it to me, and it was USPS, not FedEx as all the rest were telling me it was being shipped. I will update this as soon as I receive my equipment.

So in summary, I have dealt with representatives of SimpliSafe that either provided misleading information, or don’t know the procedure of the company they work for. I have now been without an alarm for seven days, inexcusable. I have stayed home for three days this past week waiting for deliveries that were never going to come. I have three emails from the different dates assuring me I would receive a replacement unit. The purpose of have an alarm system is to alert you if there is a break in or breach of your property. I completely understand this is a company that is internet based, no brick and mortar, and so if there are problems with the equipment you cannot walk in somewhere and exchange it. But once your home is defenseless, and they have troubleshooted the problem, they should overnight you a replacement so that you are not left venerable.

I don’t know if this company just doesn’t care anymore about its customers, just selling stuff and signing them onto a monitoring service or what. Since this is possibly a situation that could leave you defenseless for a week or more, I would send in complaints and post your situations so others can make a choice based on this kind of misleading responses made by the employees of this company and may jeopardize your security and comfort. My email is ** in case anyone would like to contact me, thank you for reading this.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

Purchased a SimpliSafe system, for my son & wife. It never showed, even though they sent an email saying it shipped. Called SimpliSafe and advised it was not received. They responded saying they didn't have one of the items so cancelled the order (no one called or emailed to advised they did so) and also said my cc was credited. So, reordered the entire system with same components. When they tallied the price it was slightly less but they chalked that up to an item being "on sale." They did ship that order and it was received.

Then I checked my cc statement and there were two charges and no credits. I called SimpliSafe and they said they would issue a credit. That never happened, so I finally disputed with my cc company but they said since it was past 6 months it was "too old," to dispute, so I contacted SimpliSafe again via phone and follow up emails. They said last month, they would send a check to me and that hasn't been received yet either. I sent them a 10th email--no response! This kind of customer service doesn't sell products, nor does it inspire people to write good reviews.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

I bought two of these systems. Due to covid I wasn't able to get them installed within the return period. Once I was able to get them installed the camera will never work. Why pay $15/month for monitoring for a system where the camera doesn't work. I spent 5 days with their tech support only to find out that the app to download the QR code doesn't work on iPhone. Tech support is terrible. Hours waiting on hold. They don't know how to fix the problem and have you repeating stupid steps that don't work. @ $7/hour they owe me $5000.00. You can get much better systems that actually work for cheaper and the monthly monitoring charge is cheaper.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

We've had Simplisafe for about a month now. We have an outdoor camera that we set to high sensitivity and it picks up everything. The street we live on is a tad busy so it goes off pretty often. My husband parks his truck on the street in front of the camera. The whole reason we even got this camera was to catch anyone messing with his truck. Last night, the camera goes off at 2:35am because a car drove by. The camera goes off again at 2:50am because another car drove by, but this time, his truck is gone! Someone managed to steal his truck and be completely undetected by the camera in that timeframe. Thanks for nothing Simplisafe. Thanks for not working when we needed you most.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

DO NOT BUY THIS SYSTEM!!!! This is by far one of the worst products I have ever purchased in my entire adult life. With some technical assistance, I got everything set up. Then it was all downhill from there. I started having false alarms go off, REPEATEDLY. My base stand went on the blink. I spent quite a while on the phone with a tech trying to remove the bottom to reset it because apparently it was malfunctioning. Finally, after having no success, they agreed to replace it with a new one. The new one arrived. I had a tech help me set it up over the phone because I couldn’t get the old one to stop going off and triggering the alarm. It wouldn’t disconnect. So now I had 2 base stands trying to talk to the system and the old one was causing the alarm to go off. At this point, I am so paranoid about the system going off that I started leaving it off when I left home. Finally got it resolved only to find out the camera wasn’t working.

I demanded they send a tech out when the new camera arrives to be sure there is no more faulty equipment and I will stop getting false alarms. They agree to give me free monitoring to offset the cost. Guy comes out and makes sure that everything is functioning right. Then he wants to know why my motion sensor is upside down. I tell him because my dog (who weighs 18lbs and should therefore not be setting off the alarm) was setting off the alarm. I explain that Simplisafe told me to set it upside down to stop this from happening. He said, “That’s crazy. Now you are only monitoring the ceiling. It will not do you no good that way.” So, I moved it up higher and turned it right side up. Then he says, “Your glass break sensor should be right next to the window to detect the sound, why is across the room from the window?” I explain that this is how the instructions say to set it up. Again, he tells me, “That is all wrong, it won’t work that way.”

He explains to me that he does this for a living, has worked with many systems, and that what they have been telling me is all wrong. Seriously?? Finally, everything is set up. Then, about 3 weeks later, I open my front door to step outside. I forgot about the alarm and it was triggered. Within 2 seconds, I enter my code to turn it off. Nothing happens. Alarm is still going off. I enter again. Nothing. Then an error message pops up saying I have to move the pad closer to the base station. Being careful to only touch the side, (the panic button is on top) I walk over to the base stand and stop the alarm, finally! I return the pad to its holder, again careful not to touch the top. About 10 minutes later my front door opens and police are entering my home because, according to them, I entered my intruder code to turn off the alarm. THIS ABSOLUTELY DID NOT HAPPEN!!!

I know the difference between the duress code and the regular one I use every day. I had no clue who was coming into my home. These police had their hands on their weapons ready to draw!!! I pack up the system and tell simplisafe I want a full refund and I no longer want the shoddy system. I ask for a supervisor who tells me, “You hit the panic button on top so this is on you.” Verbatim, that is what he said. Good grief. Really?? So, having had enough, I give him a colorful curse word and say, “send me the label to return it,” and I hang up. This company is inept, their supervisors don’t give a rat’s patoot about good customer service, and their product is shoddy. Take your business elsewhere!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

I ordered a SimpliSafe system because of the assurance of available tech to install in rural location. This is an untrue statement. Their "partner" Hello Tech has no one. All of system will be returned. Suggest verifying tech availability prior to ordering in. You can't do it yourself,

Original review: July 11, 2020

When I bought Simplisafe, I was happy enough and it worked. Then the camera stopped working. I called and they sent me a replacement camera. That did not work out of the box. I called and they sent me another replacement camera. That did not work out of the box. Each time I called to speak with Technical support and the agent can only send me another camera. I couldn’t get a supervisor. When promised and I cancelled a meeting to make the appointment, they never called. The next day another agent called me and said they could only send me another camera. They have horrible customer service and do not care about your experience. If it works, no problems but I would not recommend SimpliSafe.

Original review: June 24, 2020

I never thought I’d get robbed by a home security company... It’s been weeks since I returned my order and I’ve yet to receive a refund. I decided to return the product after reading a number of critical reviews on their cameras. I put their return label on the unopened box and sent it back to them. After multiple attempts to contact customer support to get an ETA on the refund, they finally wrote back with an evasive answer. I ended up needing to get American Express involved... I’d advise anyone looking at SimpliSafe to reconsider.

SimpliSafe author review by Ben Mannes

SimpliSafe’s monitored home security plans start at $14.99 a month. All systems require DIY installation and include a three-year warranty and 60-day money-back guarantee. SimpliSafe does not require a long-term contract.

• Security equipment: Home security packages start at $229 for a base station, wireless keypad, entry sensor and motion sensor. Upgrade to include a keychain remote, an extra motion sensor, three additional entry sensors, a siren, a panic button, a freeze sensor and a water sensor. Fire and environment sensors are also available.

• Security features: SimpliSafe’s free smartphone app lets you remotely arm or disarm your home security system from anywhere.

• Monitoring services: Choose a monitored or unmonitored system. Rates for monitoring start at $14.99 a month, and you can upgrade at any time. Without monitoring, your SimpliSafe system operates like a local alarm.

• Installation: Systems are designed to be self-installed in a matter of minutes. Because they’re wireless, you won’t need to drill holes or run wire through your house.

• Trial period: SimpliSafe has a 60-day money-back guarantee.

by Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

SimpliSafe Company Information