1.50/5
Based on 35 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a home alarm?

58 SimpliSafe Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 18, 2018

Worst customer service I have ever experienced. I called on 06/18/2018 and I was on the phone for about 20 minutes. Nobody answered the call. I got fed up and hung up the phone. This is not my first experience with their customer service. I wonder what would be their support to home security related calls if anyone opts for their service. Please think twice before you purchase their monitoring services.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I ordered SimpliSafe to replace my current home security system due to the monthly cost. I figured out what I needed and placed my order. When my wife called our current security provider (Monitronics), they ended up actually beating the cost of SimpliSafe's monitoring (it took her getting passed to a Senior Account Manager). I returned the SimpliSafe system without unboxing it. It was received on 29 May and I expected a return in 5-7 business days. Today, 8 June, has been 8 business days since SimpliSafe received the system back, even giving them 1 day to inventory, I should have had a refund posted to my credit card.

I called and talked to a customer service representative and when she looked into it, she informed me that the refund would take 5-7 business days. I then asked why so long, especially since SimpliSafe received the system 8 business days ago?? The rep put me on hold, talked to her supervisor, then came back and advised me that she had started the refund process. Which means that somewhere in their process for returned items, they failed to begin the refund process. While I have friends and relatives who have SimpliSafe and rave about it, it's a little disappointing how they handled the refund process, thus breaking their promise/statement on their website.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 1, 2018

SimpliSafe called the police without my authorization after I triggered my own alarm by mistake. They supposed to call me before notifying the police. They never did. The phones today keep the call records and SimpliSafe or any company that they outsourced the calls is not there. Los Angeles police shows up after 2 hours and charges $189 for the “service”. Save your time and do not call SimpliSafe customer service, talk to the wall instead.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I ordered the service and never received a confirmation email. I called after 1 week in order to find out when I should receive the product. They said they had no record of my order yet took out $400 from my checking account (via debit card when I ordered). They kept me on the phone for at least 25 minutes asking stupid questions and finally said they would get back with me. After hearing nothing from them the next day, I realized this company is not legit. I sent an email to them asking for a refund. Of course they said they needed to speak with me. I simultaneously contacted my bank and submitted a dispute charge so that the bank could deal with them. This company is a scam. If you do receive your product it's shady, shoddy service at best. Do not trust these people - stay away!

Original review: May 24, 2018

It's a shame, this company has a great product which caught on beyond their ability to properly train their customer service reps. I will say prior to sale, their response to email inquiries is excellent, however, once you have a post-sale issue you experience the inconsistency and unprofessional of their staff. The lack of thorough training in all aspects drags this company to the bottom rung. I've encountered 45 minutes wait times on the weekend, reps who put me on hold numerous times because they did not know the answer, not even trained to pull up my order for reference. One occasion the background noise from what I assume are other employees (It was early on a Monday. Sounded like folks exchanging weekend stories). Product knowledge, interpersonal skills and tact are all lacking.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SimpliSafe?

Original review: May 21, 2018

Trying to get in touch with customer service is an exercise in futility. I cannot tell you how long it will be. I only know after 30 min. I just give up. Left a message 3 weeks prior and it was not returned. After my 30 plus min. wait on the phone I have sent an email and a rather heartfelt message on the phone hoping for a return. I encourage anyone who is looking for a system for their home to please do your homework and factor in the peace of mind when it comes to the relationship between you and your provider.

SimpliSafe claims it has sold over two million units at around 500.00 a pop. You do the math. That's approximately 1,000,000,000. That's right 1 billion dollars. That's b as in billion. You would think that customer service would be number one on their list. I am not the only one with this beef. I have joined a host of current and those to whom will never return to SimpliSafe for the same reason. You would think the type of capital that this company generates It would be top notch. Personally, I think it is just plain old greed money above the concern of your customer. I believe this could be a GREAT company in the right hands, however, those that are running this company are running it straight into the ground.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I have been with SimpliSafe for years and was one of their original customers. Recently I ran into problems with the base station going offline and no report being sent that there was a problem. Since I have had the service as soon as there was some type of problem with the base station there would be an immediate notification. This comes in handy if the power gets cut to the base station or anything else that could put it offline. Once the base station goes offline your system is basically not alarming. I made many calls to customer service and they swore that SimpliSafe never had such a feature... Really. Are you kidding me.

Anyway the company has gotten so big the @ss doesn't know what the elbow is doing. Long story short I had to cancel my service and I found a comparable company that has many of the same features. They seem popping up all over. It is a shame that when company gets so big the customer service just goes right into the toilet. They used to have amazing customer service and technical support. At this point I no longer recommend SimpliSafe. If you're not notified when there are equipment troubles with the system it is pretty much a useless system.

Original review: May 7, 2018

They NEVER answer the phone. And I mean never. We used them for 2+ years. Never again. SimpliSafe has no problem taking your $$ but whenever something goes wrong on their end, they never answer the phone. I’m done with SimpliSafe; and to think at one time I actually recommended them to friends!!!!

Original review: May 4, 2018

From problems with the shoddy equipment to the customer NO service department, I cancelled my service today after a year and a half - and I only have the base package! Not much to go wrong - or so I thought. From having to replace the chip in the base station, to the key fob working part time at best, to the keypad just dying while I was trying to disarm it, the problems were endless. The dying keypad was the final straw. The alarm went off on a Sunday morning because I was unable to enter the code into the dying pad and the key fob wasn't working either. When they called to see if I needed assistance I could hardly even understand them over the loud, blaring alarm. I had no way to disarm it. When I was told I was being put on hold until someone could assist me with turning it off, I pitched a fit and they got someone on the line within a couple of minutes.

Apparently you have to raise hell to get anything done with these people. I was certainly not going to wait on hold for the hour+ time I've waited in the past. By the way, pressing 5 and leaving a message is fruitless. Don’t waste your time. I received a replacement pad, but when I attempted to set it up, I couldn't access the menu because of an error message displayed on the pad. Over the course of 12 days I called five times and left messages stating what the problem was and that I do not get home until at least 6 and to please call me back then. EVERY time I got a callback, it wasn’t the same evening, it was the next day before noon while I was at work and unable to access my equipment. When I finally got someone on the phone to cancel my service I was informed that I still had to pay for the entire month of monitoring because they can only refund the amount of $14.99... Good riddance!

Original review: April 30, 2018

I have been waiting for a refund of $168.00 for equipment that did not work in my area. I have been given the run around for about 2.5 months now- from their inability to coordinate returns from their own receiving area, my tracking number, the type of equipment returned, etc- the list of errors they made goes on and on. The unmannerly children who work there have incorrect credit card numbers on my account; one admitted to me- "wow- they really screwed this up!" I am unsure whose credit card they are charging.

Every time I call I am waiting excessively then some untrained idiot states he going to correct the billing errors, stated he did correct them- only to find no credit was given again- 3 weeks later- however they did manage to continue to bill my account for the monthly service. I called tonight and spoke to a snippy " Ann" and she HUNG up on me. This will be taken to the Mass Attorney General. Completely fraudulent and unprofessional office operations- how SAFE is my credit card? DO NOT RECOMMEND them at all. Will be going to ADT.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I am never so frustrated as when I have to contact SimpliSafe Customer Service. I literally have to take a vacation day from work because I know that I will be waiting in increments of half hours on hold. For such a supposedly progressive company, you would think that the "on hold" message could at least tell me what number I am in queue. Having said that, you also have to be aware that not every agent gives you the correct information. I purchased two security cameras about a month ago with the hopes of placing them inside the house but pointing outside the window to pick up motion. I was told this would work. However, while the cameras can see movement, you will only know that if you are watching online. You won't get a text/email notification unless someone triggers one of the house sensors. Two phone calls later, I finally got an agent who told me this and, "Oh by the way, we can't refund your money... Try selling the cameras on eBay."

I have to say that I am happy with the Alarm Service and the cost of the product but you really, really have to weigh the Customer Service experience with the product. I won't be building on my system any further and have started to research other alarm systems with a better Customer Service rating. I could almost live with the camera issue but I keep hearing on the radio and TV how this company went from 60 people to 600 and they still don't answer the phone within a reasonable amount of time (unless you hit Option 1, Sales. They are pretty quick to speak to new customers, not existing ones).

Original review: April 5, 2018

The alarm system went off when my wife accidentally opened the front door when the system was armed. My wife quickly went down the hallway to the keypad alarm and turned off the system. The front door has an entry sensor and a camera monitoring it 24/7. I logged onto the SimpliSafe website to look at the incident and the video of my wife opening and shutting the front door. The video was missing so I called SimpliSafe and had to listen to 36 minutes of how they were having technical difficulty with their camera system.

I asked that a supervisor call me the next day so I could get the issues resolved (no call the next day) so I am writing this review on Consumers Affairs. In short I pay to have this service functional 24/7, I am not interested in their excuses, perhaps if they would have sent me a text message warning me the of their failure it would be different. I do not recommend this system to anyone. Terrible communication and response to customer needs and request.

Original review: March 25, 2018

This is by far the worst company I have ever dealt with along with the worst alarm system on the market. Constant false alarms. Key chain remotes never work. Motion sensors go off for no reason. The customer service department has continually lied to me. First they said, "We will credit you for the new system." And now I call back a week later and the lady who I speak with says that I was told false info, REALLY WTF kind of operation are these people. Every time I call with another problem they just want to send me a replacement sensor or key fob or some other component that is bad again. ALL I CAN SAY IS STAY FAR AWAY FROM SIMPLE JUNK!!!

Original review: March 7, 2018

We've had our system for just under 3 weeks and since then, this company announced it was distancing itself from the NRA and would be discontinuing all discounts to NRA supporters. That in itself is discrimination but not they are not answering questions or concerns we have about this system or their unfair business practices. I've sent several emails and posted to their Facebook page without response. Here is the latest: "Your lack of response to customer's questions about distancing yourself from the NRA and discontinuing the discounts is certainly discrimination against NRA supporters. It's disgusting. Guns don't kill people... people kill people and you are penalizing and punishing a huge sector of your clientele (and future clientele) that hasn't done anything wrong. Do you think these crazies that committed these horrible acts are NRA supporters? I very seriously doubt it."

"If that's the case then all the murders committed on a daily basis in Chicago, Baltimore, L.A., and other crime-laden cities run by liberals is also the NRA's fault?

Perhaps THAT is blamed on NRA supporters too? That's insanity. Criminals don't support gun laws, don't buy guns legally, and could give two hoots about any of us that support the 2nd Amendment or the NRA. SimpliSafe should be working with the NRA to help protect Americans from crime rather than against it. As usual with liberals, your logic is twisted and totally anti-American."

Businesses like this one should never put themselves into the middle of a political issue and/or public debate, particularly if they are unwilling or unable to justify their actions. In this case, I no longer feel I can trust the safety and security of my home and family to a company that does not back my Constitutional rights under the 2nd Amendment. I have requested an RMA and prepaid shipping label to return our system under their 60 day returns policy and all I receive from them are canned email responses that do not answer or address my questions or concerns. I cannot in good conscience recommend this company for that reason alone, politics aside.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I researched quite a few alarm systems on the market. SimpliSafe caught my eye with their new system. The old system I understand had some difficulties. In my case I was looking for one system that could service two structures. My residence and my office, which is just about 55 yards away. I installed my main system in my residence first. No connectivity issues at first, everything went smooth... until I tried to connect to my WiFi. It would simply not connect to my main network, which is 2.4 and 5.0 GHz. It would say... wrong password or are you connected to the internet.

Well, I had to call customer service who told me that this system does not work with 5.ghz, only with 2.4ghz. Simple solution was to create a guest network and it connected the very first time. A few weeks later after receiving additional sensors, I installed a siren, motion detector, door sensors, keypad and smoke detector in my office. Even though I am in a metal building, the signal goes through without any lag. I hit the smoke detector test button to see it works and the siren almost blew my hearing out. I had it on medium btw. 30 seconds later I received a call from SimpliSafe for a triggered smoke alarm. THAT WAS FAST. So far I can only highly recommend this NEW system. It looks very sleek, modern and it comes in black. The iPhone app is also very functional. I can't wait until they come out with their doorbell.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I have the "old" system. 1 year old and completely obsolete. Range and connectivity to sensors is a problem. Still working on that issue. Difficult to get the big picture of the alarm status when you have a lot of sensors. This version does NOT support any sort of web interface locally or remotely. That raises my #1 complaint. When they came out with the new model, all the sensors were incompatible with existing one. I have a huge investment both in time to install them and cost to purchase. No way I will throw everything away and start again. They should have engineered compatibility into the new base unit which seems to have some features that would make this an ok system. But I'll never know. Ripped off once by them. Never again.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I called company prior to purchasing this system, as it was a large investment and inquired about the equipment. One of the sales tactics they tell you is that you purchase the equipment, and should you ever have any issues or want to upgrade SimpliSafe will allow you to. Less than a year later doesn't SimpliSafe come out with a new system. I called to inquire how I could upgrade and I was told that if I purchased the new system, I would be able to return my old system. I called back 4 business days later, and was told that SimpliSafe just had a meeting and is not allowing upgrade options at this time. I am upset because I was misled at the time of purchase when I was told that SimpliSafe would allow you to upgrade. I am also upset because some customers were able to return systems for the newer model. If you go to simplisafe.com and read in the customer forums... You can see where these discussions were had.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

We bought into the whole DIY wireless Simplisafe Security System. Installation was very easy. Connectivity was very different. The base station could not find our internet. The display showed only one. It wasn't ours nor none of our neighbors. Customer Services was not helpful and was very exhausting. I gave it a break and tried again the next day. For 3 hours, working with 2 services (haha) reps, they had me do the same steps over and over again. The rep. would ignore all my question, but stayed insistent that I keep following the same steps over and over again. We I asked to speak to a supervisor, he ignored me and kept wanting me to try one more thing, THE SAME THING AS BEFORE.

After an approximately 3-hour ordeal, I asked for a refund and return label. He emailed a label that sent the package to myself!!' **Attention** We are a going on 3 weeks now that Simplisafe charged my credit card and we still don't have our money refunded. Yesterday a SimpliSafe representative told me that I'll get my refund next week. If you are having problems, DON'T call customer service, call their sales department, it won't help much, but it will get you talking to someone quicker.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I purchased the older system 2.0 in November 2016, we had no problems except the keypad entry was small and not backlit. When the new system 3.0 came out I upgraded to it this January, it is night and day easier to install, the base station tells you by name if there are any open sensors, also the mobile app works ten times faster than the old one. Customer service lacks a lot, messages aren't returned and it takes a long time for someone to answer, once answered I was pleased with the help I received.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I signed up for SimpliSafe and ran into nothing but problems with the system from day one. I was able to install all of the equipment without issue but could not get the base to connect to their monitoring service. I called customer support and waited on hold for someone to pick up for 30 minutes. The hold music says, "Thanks for your call, we'll be with you as soon as possible. You may press 5 at any time to leave us a message."

After waiting for 30 minutes I figured, fine I'll leave a message and have them call me back. Left a message, not return phone call. I emailed their customer support 5 different times, the only response I got back was to call the customer support. Called customer support again waited 45 minutes, no answer. Got fed up so I returned the equipment. They refunded me for the equipment, but of course, they did not cancel the monitoring so I continued to get billed monthly. Finally, after waiting another 45 minutes on hold someone picked up the phone and I was able to get the service canceled. Waiting 45 minutes to get someone on the call for customer support is not a quality you want in a home security system. I switched to ADT and they pick up the phone within 60 seconds. This company is a joke, do not waste your time and money on faulty equipment and terrible customer service.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I have never been able to get through to them on the phone. After waiting 25 minutes I just give up. If I leave a message, they don't call back right away, and then when they do finally call I'm not at home. I don't see how this company can stay in business. Who would trust them to monitor a system if you can't even contact them?!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I have had nothing but problems from the beginning with SimpliSafe. It started with connectivity issues right out of the box. My new SimpliSafe home system could not establish a continuous connection to the SimpliSafe Monitoring Center. After numerous replacement components of the white tower unit, I was able to establish a semi continuous connection and the system seemed to work relatively well. Then I started experiencing false alarms when the system was armed in the “away” mode, saying there was motion being picked up by one of the motion sensors. I have a separate camera system that monitors and records all activity inside and outside the home. There was no motion recorded where SimpliSafe claims motion occurred. I then started losing the ability to keep a connection to the monitoring center which rendered the system useless.

Every time I had an issue with the system, I had to call Customer Service which was as annoying as the continued inability to keep my home secured. I would be on the phone each time for no less than 30 minutes. I became pretty familiar with troubleshooting the system after having to go through the same protocol each time I had to call in only to get customer service reps that knew less about troubleshooting the system than I did. I live in a very large city with ample cell coverage. I would caution anybody looking at purchasing the SimpliSafe system to do your research. If you recently purchased a system and have any issues within the first 60 days of purchase, get your money back immediately and don’t let them continue to try numerous fixes that will take you out of the 60 day period which leaves you out of luck in trying to get your money back. It’s a great concept that is problematic with extremely poor customer service.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I have called several of their customer service numbers on weekdays, weekends, in am, in pm, and every time I call I can't get through. Right now as I type I have been on hold for 24 minutes. The average is 25 min. I have held as long a 45 min. I am wondering if I have an urgent issue, will I be able to get help. I guess that would be a no? This is my 4th time calling and each time I was on hold for so long I just put the phone down on speaker and do something else. I asked if there was a better phone number when I got through finally, and she said no. She agreed she has been receiving complaints about the hold times, but she said they just have high call volume. To that I said they probably need to hire more staff. I asked for corporate number and there wasn't one to give. Not happy, most likely will return the system and get a company that answers the phone.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I cannot activate my service because the system claims that my serial number on my base station is invalid. I have called four times, left a message, and an email and have received no responses. So I have a bunch of useless equipment. I'm sure it works great but with a non-existing customer service function, I will never know.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I have been on hold for over 10 minutes every time I call then leave a message and either don’t get a callback or it’s the next day. I have been told 3 different things to correct my connection problem of which none have worked.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I installed a new unit 5 days ago. It will not communicate with the dispatch center. I have made 5 calls and left 5 messages. I sent 2 emails thru their email system before I got a response (an email). I followed instructions to the "T" twice and moved the base unit to different areas of my home. I even went as far as use an extension cord and took it outside but it still will not communicate with the dispatch center. BUYERS BEWARE!!! If you think you can get a hold of a live person, think again. On hold at least 20-30 minutes each time and ended up leaving a message.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

I have technical issues with my system and I was on hold for hours when I called customer support. I left messages. They got back the next day when I was at work. I called back and responded to the email the customer support left at no avail. Find a different provider.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

When I read the negative reviews here I wanted to add my review because I think there needs to be some balance here. My experience with SimpliSafe has been very good. When I received the system I had trouble updating my base station. I live in a rural location and the cell signal wasn't good enough. I contacted customer service and they prompt sent a new chip which used a different cell provider. Easy to swap and since then it has worked great. Have had it for a year. Love the website which makes it easy for me to organize/monitor/update the system. Have entry alarms on all openings (set to alarm) and motion detectors (set to send me text messages) in several rooms.

I can add keypad pin entry for anyone easy peasy on the website. I always use the last four of their cell phone so they don't forget. That way I know when my pet sitter, electrician, etc. are coming and going. I also use the phone app for easy on/off. Like when I pull out of the driveway and remember I forgot to set the alarm, I can do it from my phone. I have never needed emergency services, but I have messed up and gotten calls from the C.O.P.S. phone center. They are always polite and helpful. Like I said, I am rural and a single, 60+ woman. This system lets me know every time I come home I am entering a safe situation, and if I ever need help it is just a panic button or other alarm feature away.

I'm rating it only four stars because I wish the entry alarms were bi directional - could put them on either side of the window frame. Sure you could put them upside down on the other side, but there is ugly printing on the bottom which would then be visible. That is my only complaint with this system and service I have received from this company.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

They will block your number after complete your order, if you need help they make you listen 20 min of annoy sell record and said the number had change. Give you another number to call. Buyer BEWARE. I wish DAVE RAMSEY didn't endorse them. I would not out of almost $900.00 for 2 systems. VERY DISAPPOINTED.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

They call every time I even test a smoke detector. Why? Not to mention should you burn some toast the whole home alarm is automatically triggered - you don’t get a chance to fan it away to dissipate before the siren deafens you and wakes your neighbors. Imagine my surprise when the firetruck showed up. Suggest just going with a traditional company. Wasted my money. Done with them.

SimpliSafe expert review by Erin Raub

SimpliSafe home security systems were designed to be simple to install and use. The systems are customizable and can work with most home and business environments. Customers do not need to sign contracts or have a telephone line to use SimpliSafe.

• No contracts: SimpliSafe doesn’t require customers to sign a contract. You can cancel at any time if you’re unhappy with the service.

• DIY installation: To reduce costs, SimpliSafe security systems are designed to be self-installed in a matter of minutes. They arrive pre-programmed to work instantly. Because they’re wireless, you don’t need to worry about drilling holes or running wire through your house.

• Optional monitoring: You can decide whether or not you want to pay an additional fee for monitoring. Without monitoring, your SimpliSafe system will operate as a local alarm. Rates for monitoring start at 50 cents per day, and you can upgrade at any time.

• Free smartphone app: Take control of your SimpliSafe system by downloading SimpliSafe’s free smartphone app. The app allows you to remotely arm or disarm secure your home from anywhere in the world.

• Customizable: SimpliSafe’s system is completely customizable, so you can add products as you need them. Their system supports up to 41 sensors. In addition to security sensors, SimpliSafe offers fire and environment sensors.

• Best for: Renters, tech-savvy consumers, DIYers, homeowners and business owners.

Profile picture of Erin Raub
    Erin Raub

Alarm & Security Systems Contributing Editor

Erin Raub is a freelance writer, content marketer and blogger. She writes about home security and family safety, as well as digital marketing and business. Erin is also an experienced travel writer, and knows having a trustworthy security system can make any time away from home even more enjoyable.

SimpliSafe Company Information