2.73/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Being safe should be simple. SimpliSafe designs home security systems that are wireless, cellular and user-friendly. With an ever-expanding arsenal of sensors and security cameras, SimpliSafe offers all-encompassing protection while integrated apps make comprehensive system control possible from anywhere. Seamless 24/7 alarm monitoring is provided without the long-term contracts and sky-high prices of traditional home security companies. Anyone can set up SimpliSafe in just a few minutes. No drilling. No tools. Call today to start protecting your home!

BOTTOM LINE

SimpliSafe has one of the most affordable home security system plans on the market. You do have to pay for the equipment, but packages are highly customizable, and the DIY installation is easy.

PROS

• Affordable plans
  • Highly customizable packages
  • Simple DIY installation

CONS

• Upfront equipment cost

Top SimpliSafe Reviews

Excellent and easy installation, runs off battery, recognized by local police dept and 15.99 per month. We have had our system 3 yrs and feel very secure.

Our children gave us SimpliSafe as a Christmas gift in 2018, we are very happy with our system … I absolutely love camera that was included in the package that my children bought for us! We can easily check on our pets and the house with these camera … I would recommend this system to anyone.

How does SimpliSafe work?

SimpliSafe is a home security company offering DIY systems with a low monitoring cost. The base monitoring plan is $14.99 a month, and the DIY setup is straightforward. All you have to do is place the base station near the center of your home, plug it in and adhere the peel-and-stick sensors to the wall. Month-to-month contracts are available, so you don’t have to commit to a long-term contract.

SimpliSafe cost

With a base plan starting at just $14.99 a month — half the price of some of their competitors — SimpliSafe is one of the cheapest home security systems available. Added equipment is extra and can cost anywhere from $230 to $490

SimpliSafe plans

SimpliSafe has two monitoring options: the Standard plan and the Interactive plan. The Standard plan is the most basic and comes with 24/7 monitoring on a cellular line. The Interactive plan is more in line with a traditional security system. It has text notifications and the option for you to control and monitor the system remotely. You can also buy equipment without a professional monitoring plan if you want to watch things yourself.

Standard planInteractive plan
24/7 monitoring
Cellular connection
Environmental monitoring
Mobile app arm and disarm
Mobile alertsr
Video alarm verification
Unlimited camera recording
Unlimited camera recording
Standard plan
Interactive plan

SimpliSafe equipment

Once you choose a monitoring plan, you then need to select an equipment package from SimpliSafe. We counted 16 available equipment packages from SimpliSafe, with the cheapest being the Foundation at $230 and the priciest being the Fortress at $510. However, these prices are just the upfront equipment cost and do not include the monthly monitoring cost. Check out the equipment included with some of the most popular packages below:

Foundation package ($230)
  • 3 additional entry sensors
  • Panic button
  • Freeze sensor
  • Water sensor

You can buy added equipment from SimpliSafe. The equipment is affordable partly because they sell original, proprietary accessories, cutting out the middleman.

• Panic button: $19.99
  • Glass break sensor: $34.99
  • Motion sensor: $29.99
  • Entry sensor: $14.99

Is SimpliSafe good?

SimpliSafe is a great home security system. We love that they have affordable monitoring choices and a wide array of plans as well as plenty of customization options. The quick and painless DIY installation means you won’t lose a day setting up your system. If you’re looking for a reliable security system that doesn’t break the bank, it’s hard to go wrong with SimpliSafe.

SimpliSafe Reviews

Original review: July 21, 2019

SimpliSafe is a great entry level alarm system. It's very easy to install, set up, arm/disarm and monitor remotely. The alarm company is very good at calling the folks on the notification list before calling the police, so you can eliminate false alarms before they happen. The system can be configured to chime when doors or windows are opened, so even when your alarm system is not armed, you're aware of people coming and going. It will notify you of open doors or windows if you're leaving and attempting to set the alarm.

It can also be configured to just monitor the perimeter entry points of your house or apartment while you are home. That way your doors and windows are monitored while you are sleeping and will trigger if opened. This mode is not recommended if you are prone to sleepwalking. It will also notify you when batteries in sensors are low by telling you it can't contact a sensor. It will show the sensor's code on the alarm panel (which is a bit cryptic) but you can easily log onto your configuration screen and find out which sensor is missing, provided you gave them good names when you set them up online. You did remember to give them good names, right?

I really like the fact that you can add to the system in an a la carte manner with smoke alarms, freeze sensors, water sensors, glass breakage sensors, door and window sensors, PIR motion detectors. However, buying a la carte will be more expensive than buying a complete kit. There was a great deal on a kit system on Amazon during Prime Days recently. They also have cameras that you can add, and you can monitor the cameras remotely, but the recording storage fees are WAY too high. You can select whether or not you want 24/7 monitoring at all. The monthly monitoring fees are competitive, with the exception of the aforementioned camera recording storage fees.

Check with your local law enforcement agency or city hall to see if there is an alarm permit required. Some municipalities will charge an annual fee if you have an alarm system. I suspect the alarm permit is required so they can get your info on who to hold responsible for false alarms. It does NOT interface with Amazon Alexa or with Google Home, or any other smart home system. There are other systems out there that DO interface with a smart home system, so if that is important, then SimpliSafe is not what you are looking for.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 3, 2019

When you start thinking of a security system, the first thing most people think is large corporations selling huge systems on long-term contracts with crazy monthly bills. I hated that idea and have been holding off for a while now, even through SimpliSafe's first hardware version. I've been watching for the day when there was a home wireless DIY system that I felt was comparable to the massive commercial systems on the market in security (protection). Bells and whistles aside, that's why you buy an alarm system right?

The system came in a large box with compartments holding various components. If you've bought anything in the past 10 years you know how the unboxing goes. The sensors, keypad and other hardware are small, unobtrusive and modern looking devices. They frankly look great. No huge complicated touch screen, just a modern convenient keypad that looks like it was designed in this century. The build quality of the devices themselves was impressive too; the keypad was solid feeling even after being slid into the wall bracket. The sensors show no exposed circuitry on the back, even in the battery compartment. This seems picky, but small polish like that makes it feel like a very quality product.

Setup was just as easy as unboxing. Devices are paired using buttons on the bottom of each device/sensor, and can be added and renamed using the keypad or the remote website / app. Plenty of customizations available, behaviors of various sensors, chimes, volume, extra PIN codes, and so forth. The entry contacts (window/door) are easy to set up, small and work within 2 inches to handle large or odd-shaped window sills or openings. The motion sensor is tiny and fits perfectly into corners. Sensors are powered by standard CR-2032 button batteries and each sensor slides out of the mounting bracket so the batteries can be replaced without using a small screwdriver and prying, or peeling them off the door/window itself. In other words, without tools.

The system is simple to use; the conventional keypad method has buttons for OFF, HOME and AWAY, and work similarly to any system you've seen before. There's also a red panic button on the top of the keypad whose behavior can be modified in the settings, although I'm not sure what for. The app is very simple to use and the Dashboard focuses on the main functions (OFF, HOME, AWAY), while also allowing for complete configuration of the system (as well as the website), although for all of these remote options I believe you need the 'expensive' plan of $25/mo, which I have, and I believe is worth it. The experience seemed like opening and setting up any piece of new technology these days, if you've bought an iPhone, Nest thermostat or similar the experience will be familiar to you. I recommend it very highly.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Our children gave us SimpliSafe as a Christmas gift in 2018, we are very happy with our system. Our daughter has had SimpliSafe since 2015. She bought it when she bought her own home. There were a few minor bugs that were easily worked out with their very helpful staff. One morning the alarm went off at 4:45 am, I was away on business and my wife was alone. They called her as she was in a deep sleep and didn’t hear the alarm, the guy on the end was very sleuthing and reassuring. Talked to her until the police showed up (4 minutes). The police inspected the whole yard/house. What was discovered has, one half of the back kitchen door had dislodged, causing the alarm. I was very grateful and happy that both SimpliSafe and my local police responded to our alarm. We have had no problems with our SimpliSafe!!

I absolutely love camera that was included in the package that my children bought for us! We can easily check on our pets and the house with these camera. The camera even works a night, a big plus. Also the remote access is a feature that I love, being able to turn features on and off has been a bonus (included) that has been invaluable. Being able change features from afar is a must! I would recommend this system to anyone who is looking for a reasonable alarm system.

Original review: March 29, 2019

A friend recommended SimpliSafe as he has the systems in two states 1300 miles apart. After looking at the reviews on other sites and ConsumerAffairs I went with his suggestions and bought the reconditioned system. It took a while to dismiss our other security company because of archaic unpublished rules about discontinue of service even though the contract was 4 years expired and various components had failed over the years. Regardless we got the box and it took a while to remove poorly installed competitors equipment. The new stuff was a snap to install and set up and my only question was promptly addressed by tech support.

I ordered the interactive monitoring and all calls by SimpliSafe have been courteous when we inadvertently trigger the system. The best things about this system are the customization the owner can do, the log that goes back days and days, monitoring our bulldog's behavior, and the fact I can cancel or activate wherever I have a cell signal. My wife and son can use the app and you can set up a distress code to use if you are under duress on entering or after the alarm is triggered. The monitoring price is far less than a competitor we had and the system can’t be negated by cutting phone service, power outages of less than 8 hours or damage to the control panel. You are also notified of power outage if away so you can call the power company to let them know.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

These reviews posted within were wrote by someone for the Consumer Affairs fake website. SimpliSafe is very reputable and always answers the phone, calls the police and is very helpful! They explain everything and they also let you know, this is a DIY!!! So people need to understand, that if you don't know how to install things, then don't write fake harmful reviews! If you don't answer your phone when the alarm company calls, then why do you have the alarm or complain about having to pay for the police or fire department to be dispatched? If your sensors fall off, THEN USE THE SCREWS!!! Seriously, if you don't know how to fix things, then call a professional to install and stop complaining and writing fake reviews to hurt a company's reputation!

I have 4 of these systems installed in 3 homes and 1 rental I own. I have never had a problem with a sensor falling off, with a false alarm, I have had 1 alarm that would go off when I had a ceiling leak in a vacation home, but that was simple to remedy just by using the app and shutting off the system and restarting it, because there is someone there, then the alarm will continue to re-trigger, if it is something like a leak, then they have monitors for it and also the system won't re-trigger!

Also, they always call me when I have had any alarm and I always reach a representative that is always very polite and helpful! When my camera didn't install correctly, I called them and they walked me right through it and fixed the issue! As far as only having T-Mobile for their base station? That is a lie! My vacation home only has service using VERIZON! So SimpliSafe swapped out my base station from their contracted T-Mobile base with a Verizon base because the original didn't work! All it took was a phone call and some testing to get it switched!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SimpliSafe?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

A video doorbell is an essential part of a security system. I bought my first SimpliSafe doorbell Pro in June 2019. The unit worked as designed for about 4 hours then quit; no video, no chime, no lights, no internet connection. SimpliSafe replaced the doorbell and the second unit worked for about 5 days and had the same exact failure mode symptoms. SimpliSafe again replaced the unit with no feedback on the mode of failure. The third unit worked as designed and failed again after less than a week with the exact same symptoms.

I verified the power supply was within specifications. I measured 19.3 VAC open circuit and 18.8 VAC when connected to the doorbell. All well within their specifications. My wifi signal at my doorbell is strong with my wifi router within 10 feet of the doorbell. It appears to be a power supply problem or component failure is within the doorbell itself. All my other SimpliSafe Video cameras work fine. I sent my third unit back for a refund. Until SimpliSafe can be honest and deal with their reliability issues, I will be using another manufacturer's doorbell. I would not recommend the SimpliSafe Doorbell Pro product until SimpliSafe acknowledges and addresses their issues.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

Purchased the doorbell/camera but it rings continuously probably due to a short in the switch. Explained this to tech support after 20 minute wait on phone and they sent an extension wire which serves absolutely no purpose except perhaps to have gotten me off the phone. Called again and was advised that someone would call at 9am next day to do reset of device; they didn't call but reset didn't accomplish anything. Called again after 1/2 hour wait was told that unit is not compatible with digital chimes--almost all chimes today are digital/electronic. Requested that a more senior tech support person call since it seems like nobody there really knows what is going on. Sent emails so that I wouldn't have to waste more time on hold but emails not responded to either. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY ON THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I've been a customer of Simplisafe for nearly two months. I've never dealt with a company with such poor customer service, in terms of extended wait times (average: 25 minutes or more), and many dropped calls. Employees have informed me that Simplisafe has contracted with "Pure Cloud" to handle their phones and there are currently glitches.

Here's an example of pathetic customer service: I called today, 12/13/19, and was on hold for nearly 20 minutes. I was trying to get help with a new Base Station they sent me (my original one wasn't cutting it). It took so long that I had to end the call with the lady, and she actually promised me she'd call me back at 9:15am (Pacific Time). At 9:20, my phone rang and there was only silence at the other end. At 9:30am, I received another call from Simplisafe (caller ID), and, again, only silence. It's now 10:30am and I've not received a call on my home line nor my cell. At this point, my security system is disabled since the agent had deactivated my current base station before we ended our original conversation! I would urge any homeowners to look elsewhere for a home security system. Simplisafe is awful.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

I have been customer since 2013 and am pleased with the product. I called to update my account information that I could not enter on the website. This is the 3rd time I called. I was told my wait time would be about 10 minutes, so far 30 minutes. The other 2 times similar issues. Clearly they have not kept up in terms of quality of service as my initial experiences with support were great.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I bought an elaborate system for my entire home through their website as a result of their widely advertised 50% off sale during the Thanksgiving Day holiday. They charged my credit card for the FULL price, double! Then I called to get it corrected and they said they'd refund half the price to my credit card, but that I'd have to go to the State to get my sales tax returned. I said that was NOT satisfactory, and to cancel the entire sale. If I cannot trust a security company to keep their bookkeeping straight, how can I trust them to protect my home? As of today, they STILL HAVE NOT refunded one-half of my sales tax charged at the time of the purchase. I have complained three times, but to no avail. Use CAUTION when buying from this firm. Personally, I will never trust them again.

SimpliSafe Company Information