Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.92/5

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Being safe should be simple. SimpliSafe designs home security systems that are wireless, cellular and user-friendly. With an ever-expanding arsenal of sensors and security cameras, SimpliSafe offers all-encompassing protection while integrated apps make comprehensive system control possible from anywhere. Seamless 24/7 alarm monitoring is provided without the long-term contracts and sky-high prices of traditional home security companies. Anyone can set up SimpliSafe in just a few minutes. No drilling. No tools. Visit our site today to start protecting your home!

BOTTOM LINE

SimpliSafe has one of the most affordable home security system plans on the market. You do have to pay for the equipment, but packages are highly customizable, and the DIY installation is easy.

PROS
    • Affordable plans
    • Highly customizable packages
    • Simple DIY installation
    CONS
    • Upfront equipment cost

Top SimpliSafe Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about SimpliSafe?

This system, SimpliSafe, appears at the outset to be somewhat intimidating to install (self), but is very friendly. I am very happy with my system and the self install was actually fun.There is a one time purchase of hardware ... and no service contract. Customer service is also great.

Our children gave us SimpliSafe as a Christmas gift in 2018, we are very happy with our system … I absolutely love camera that was included in the package that my children bought for us! We can easily check on our pets and the house with these camera … I would recommend this system to anyone.

Protect Your Home

Get a professionally-installed home security system today.

Get Started

How does SimpliSafe work?

SimpliSafe is a home security company that offers DIY systems with a low monitoring cost. The base monitoring plan is $14.99 a month, and the DIY setup is straightforward. All you have to do is place the base station near the center of your home, plug it in and adhere the peel-and-stick sensors to the wall. SimpliSafe offers month-to-month contracts, so you don’t have to commit to a long-term contract.

SimpliSafe cost

With a base plan starting at just $14.99 a month — half the price of some of its competitors — SimpliSafe is one of the cheapest home security systems available. Additional equipment is extra and can cost anywhere from $230 to $490

SimpliSafe plans

SimpliSafe has two monitoring options: the Standard plan and the Interactive plan. The Standard plan is the most basic and comes with 24/7 monitoring on a cellular line. The Interactive plan is a more secure option that includes text notifications and the option to control and monitor the system remotely. You can also buy equipment without a professional monitoring plan if you want to watch things yourself.

Standard planInteractive plan
      24/7 monitoring
      Cellular connection
      Environmental monitoring
      Mobile app arm and disarm
      Mobile alerts
      Video alarm verification
      Unlimited camera recording
      Standard plan
      Interactive plan

SimpliSafe equipment

Once you choose a monitoring plan, you need to select an equipment package from SimpliSafe. The company offers five preset equipment packages — the cheapest is the Foundation at $229, and the priciest is the Haven at $489. However, these prices are just the upfront equipment cost and do not include the monthly monitoring cost. Check out the equipment included with some of the most popular packages below:

Foundation package ($229)
      • 3 additional entry sensors
      • Panic button
      • Freeze sensor
      • Water sensor

You can buy added equipment from SimpliSafe. The equipment is affordable partly because the company sells original, proprietary accessories, which cuts out the middleman.

• Panic button: $19.99
      • Glass break sensor: $34.99
      • Motion sensor: $29.99
      • Entry sensor: $14.99
      • Video Doorbell Pro: $169
      • SimpliCam: $99
      • Smart lock: $99

Is SimpliSafe good?

SimpliSafe is a great home security system. We love that they have affordable monitoring choices and a wide array of plans as well as plenty of customization options. The quick and painless DIY installation means you won’t lose a day setting up your system. If you’re looking for a reliable security system that doesn’t break the bank, it’s hard to go wrong with SimpliSafe.

SimpliSafe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SimpliSafe?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

The system is almost perfect. It was easy to set up and install ourselves and the monthly subscription is totally affordable. The only reason I say “almost” is because the app is too often lagging. One example, when someone rings your doorbell it can too often take a minute or more to load the live video. When someone is at your door most likely you want to see who it is right away.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

This security system was very easy to setup and monitor, it took less than 30 minutes. You have the option of upgrading to live monitoring if you so choose to pay the additional fee. The 24 hour battery back up is reassuring in the event of a power outage or intruder cuts power to the house. Setup and monitoring on my iphone is easy. Great product, would recommend.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

I bought a whole Simplisafe system with multiple sensor and alarms about three years ago. I've had my house monitored for $15 a month and the service was great. $15 monitoring is half the cost of all the other alarm monitoring services cost. Recently, Simplisafe contacted me and offered a free upgrade to their newest alarm system. They shipped me all of the newest components of my system and asked me to ship them my old system. So, after I installed the new system, I shipped them my old system. I am very happy with Simplisafe. I would highly recommend.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

The system is very easy to install and gives you total and complete control of every aspect of the alarm system. For example, when the alarm is set on you can allow 30 or 45 seconds to put in the code for a door opening but have it go off instantly for a window or door that you don't normally use. You can have motion sensors active to alert you even when the alarm is off to be notified if someone enters your bedroom while you are away. It is all controlled with a smart phone and can be armed/disarmed remotely and cameras viewed as well. It is a very good system and the cost is very low with NO long term contracts. The ONLY setback is that you need to buy all the equipment upfront and it can cost between $300 and $500 depending on what all you desire.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

Went with 2 entrances for pads, sensors on all doors, one would not always work properly so replaced, movement sensors even though my dogs are small. Had to turn sensors upside down panic button and base station. Setting base station up for wireless had to have replaced as couldn’t find cell signal so set up for other cell signal. Since then no problems. Took less than 30 minutes to set up.

Original review: March 29, 2021

Please consider adding a service to Uninstall equipment when people move in case they do not want to climb on the roof to remove cameras or know how to switch out electric doorbells. Perhaps expand contract with HelloTech who does the installations.

Original review: March 27, 2021

When purchasing they were very friendly and answered all of my questions. When asked if they did installations they said yes and told me they use a company called Hello Tech. I asked them if Hello Tech had technicians in my area and was told they did. I was given an email address to contact them, which I did, it took a week to get an answer and in that week I received 3 emails telling me my installment had been cancelled. I then call SimpliSafe who told me there was no reason why HelloTech could not give me a date and do the install.

I then received an email from HelloTech with a date and 3 days later I received an email saying my installation had been cancelled again! I then called SimpliSafe and obtained a return Label. I Mailed the equipment 11 days ago and have not received a refund and was told to give it more time, that they had not received the equipment. I find it unbelievable that USPS is that slow. At this point all I want is my $401.00 dollars returned. I placed my order on Feb. 22, 2021.

Original review: March 22, 2021

I had a issues with my door lock in December 2020 and call SimpliSafe for advice. The techncian was able to walk me through the process and manage to rectify. Simplisafe was good enough to give me a credit for my troubles. In February 2021 I received two email advised me that the credit card on file could not not be processed and I need to edit and update card information. I call customer service and was told they will update and apologized for the inconvenience and gave me another month credit and will not have any further issues.

On March 12th 2021 I received another email advising me once again that they were unable to process card on file and I need to edit and update. Call again only to be told I need to update card so they can process payment. Now am not sure if I did get a credit for all the inconvenience and this time there was no apologizes. I have been SimpliSafe for over 3 yrs and this the first time I have had an issues with the service.

Original review: March 9, 2021

I installed our system 1 week ago. Install went well, no issues. I have not installed the camera as I haven't had the time yet to configure/play with the set up. Problems started 2 days ago. When the system is armed, the keypad started going through this cycle of lighting up brightly for about 30 seconds, dimming for about 30 seconds, then going out. This would repeat every 10 minutes or so. Very annoying as the keypad is right outside our bedroom door. Called tech support, got through right away, but the girl was clueless - personable, friendly, but clueless.

She had never heard of this problem, must have messaged someone, came back and said it was a defective proximity sensor in the key pad. Could be, we'll see. She then said they'd ship a replacement keypad and she'd put the order in. For whatever reasons she was having difficulty placing the replacement order and I ended up receiving 13 emails with the return shipping label! New keypad supposed to arrive today but based on other reviews we'll see if that happens.

Yesterday, shortly after leaving the house, I get a call from the police department that they had a reported alarm at our house. I asked them not to dispatch as I was just a few minutes away and would call if needed. Simplisafe had tried to call my phone but I wasn't available, yet they didn't attempt my wife who is also on the account. When I checked the app, it indicated a master bedroom entry as well as motion (which is in a completely different room) which made things kind of scary. Got home, no sign of entry, and when I checked one of the window sensors fell off - that would cause the entry alarm, but why the motion????

Now to the sensors. Due to the design of my windows I am forced to use the adhesive mounts. I meticulously cleaned the mounting areas, allowed them to dry, then mounted the sensors. 5 days later a sensor falls off. Get home from work and start checking the others and out of 14, 12 basically fell off into my hand - all potential false alarms! I immediately replaced all the adhesive with Scotch 12lb adhesive squares. Surprising, the motion and glass break sensors mounted to drywall seemed to adhere very well. So, in summary, quite a few issues in a short period. We'll see if the replacement key pad arrives as promised and corrects the problem, see how my new adhesive pads work, and tackle the camera setup. After a period I'll submit an update to this review.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

Every time I called to get service repairs I was asked if I wanted to add the $14.99/month service. I always said no - don't need it, don't have any use for it and since the smoke alarm doesn't work and they can't fix it - I don't trust their service. They have been charging me for it anyway and won't return any of the bogus charges.

SimpliSafe author review by Ben Mannes

SimpliSafe’s monitored home security plans start at $14.99 a month. All systems require DIY installation and include a three-year warranty and 60-day money-back guarantee. SimpliSafe does not require a long-term contract.

• Security equipment: Home security packages start at $229 for a base station, wireless keypad, entry sensor and motion sensor. Upgrade to include a keychain remote, an extra motion sensor, three additional entry sensors, a siren, a panic button, a freeze sensor and a water sensor. Fire and environment sensors are also available.

• Security features: SimpliSafe’s free smartphone app lets you remotely arm or disarm your home security system from anywhere.

• Monitoring services: Choose a monitored or unmonitored system. Rates for monitoring start at $14.99 a month, and you can upgrade at any time. Without monitoring, your SimpliSafe system operates like a local alarm.

• Installation: Systems are designed to be self-installed in a matter of minutes. Because they’re wireless, you won’t need to drill holes or run wire through your house.

• Trial period: SimpliSafe has a 60-day money-back guarantee.

by Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

SimpliSafe Company Information