3.7/5 (229 ratings)

About SimpliSafe

SimpliSafe designs wireless home security systems that are easy to install with no drilling or tools. With a wide array of sensors and security cameras, SimpliSafe offers all-encompassing protection plus integrated apps that make system control possible from anywhere. It provides seamless 24/7 alarm monitoring without the long-term contracts and sky-high prices of traditional home security companies.

Find Home Alarm and Security Systems partners near you

Pros

• Affordable plans
    • Highly customizable packages
    • Simple DIY installation

Cons

• Upfront equipment costs

Bottom Line

SimpliSafe has one of the most affordable home security system plans on the market. You do have to pay for the equipment, but packages are highly customizable, and the DIY installation is easy.

Top SimpliSafe Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Verified

How does SimpliSafe work?

SimpliSafe is a home security company that offers DIY systems with low monitoring costs. The base monitoring plan is $14.99 a month, and the DIY setup is straightforward. All you have to do is place the base station near the center of your home, plug it in and adhere the peel-and-stick sensors to the wall. SimpliSafe offers month-to-month contracts, so you don’t have to commit to a long-term agreement.

SimpliSafe cost

With a base plan starting at just $14.99 a month — half the price of some of its competitors — SimpliSafe is one of the cheapest home security systems available. Additional equipment is extra and can cost anywhere from $230 to $490.

SimpliSafe plans

SimpliSafe has two monitoring options: professional and self-monitored. You can buy equipment without a professional monitoring plan if you want to keep an eye on things yourself. The professional monitoring plan comes with 24/7 monitoring, emergency dispatch, unlimited recording and weather monitoring. The self-monitoring plan offers unlimited video footage and alerts for any triggered sensors, though there’s no police or EMT dispatch with this option.

Self-monitoring planLimited Pro MonitoringProfessional monitoring plan
    24/7 monitoring
    Environmental monitoring
    Video alarm verification
    Video alarm verificationYes, up to five camerasYes, up to 10 cameras
    Self-monitoring planYes, up to five cameras
    Limited Pro Monitoring
    Professional monitoring planYes, up to 10 cameras

SimpliSafe equipment

Once you choose a monitoring plan, you need to select an equipment package from SimpliSafe. The company offers five preset equipment packages — the cheapest is the Foundation at $229, and the priciest is the Haven at $489. However, keep in mind that these prices are just the upfront equipment cost and do not include the monthly monitoring fees. Check out the equipment included with some of the most popular packages:

Foundation package ($229)
    • Everything in Knox package
    • Panic button
    • Freeze sensor
    • Water sensor

You can also add on equipment to your SimpliSafe package. The equipment is affordable partly because the company sells original, proprietary accessories, which cuts out the middleman.

• Panic button: $19.99
    • Indoor camera: $99
    • Smart lock: $99

SimpliSafe FAQ

Who monitors SimpliSafe?
    It depends. If you choose a professionally monitored plan, its monitoring team offers 24/7 protection services. There’s also a DIY monitoring option, which lets customers self-monitor their devices without professional support.
    Is SimpliSafe wireless?
    Yes. SimpliSafe’s products work over wireless or cellular connection, meaning they don’t require a landline for operation. If you choose the Wi-Fi or wireless option, you’ll likely have more backup and connectivity than with cellular, although both are options.
    Can SimpliSafe be hacked?
    Yes, and it has happened in the past. Because it works over a cellular or wireless connection, it can be susceptible to hacking. The company has recently added encryption code that should help prevent this from happening in the future.
    Where do I buy SimpliSafe?
    It’s typical to buy these packages and products from the SimpliSafe website, Sam’s Club, Costco, Best Buy and Amazon, but they’re also available in various other locations, including Lowe’s and Walmart.
    Do I need a phone line for SimpliSafe?
    Nope. You can use Wi-Fi or connect to its cellular base station, depending on your preference and what your home’s set up for. Wi-Fi is the best option for consistent connectivity, but it might not be available for everyone.
    Does a SimpliSafe camera need Wi-Fi?
    No, but it might be better for connectivity. You can use the base station to connect over cellular data if you prefer.
    Can I use SimpliSafe without monitoring?
    Yes, SimpliSafe offers a self-monitoring plan.
    Does SimpliSafe have a doorbell camera?
    Yes. The SimpliSafe doorbell camera offers wide-angle HDR video. It costs $169 to add it to a package or to purchase by itself.

Is SimpliSafe good?

SimpliSafe is a solid option for an affordable home security system. We love that it has a self-monitoring and a professional monitoring option, a wide array of plans and plenty of customization options. The quick and painless DIY installation means you won’t lose a whole day setting up your system, too. If you’re looking for a reliable security system that doesn’t break the bank, SimpliSafe is definitely one to consider.

SimpliSafe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SimpliSafe?

Original review: May 15, 2021

SimpliSafe is an easy to setup home security option. We've always had great interactions with their customer service and the system works flawlessly. The system is easily customizable both in actual devices as well as settings for those devices. The ability to set additional passwords for relatives or neighbors is very handy. The smartphone app is great for keeping track of your systems status as well as being able to arm/disarm and change settings on the fly.

Original review: May 5, 2021

Our family has found SimpliSafe to be reliable, affordable and a plus was; it was a breeze to install! No high pressure sales pitches whatsoever... You pick and choose what you feel would be best for your family. Our alarm has gone off a few times and they call within a few seconds to find out what is going on and if we're ok or need police, etc. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 1, 2021

Simpli Safe is simple to install and easy to use. We have installed the system in my daughter's college apartment and moved it each year when she has changed apartments. I would recommend Simpli Safe especially if you are someone who is renting and moves often. It also saves having an alarm company come out and install a system or try to update a system that is already in place because you have the ability to install it yourself.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

I bought a whole Simplisafe system with multiple sensor and alarms about three years ago. I've had my house monitored for $15 a month and the service was great. $15 monitoring is half the cost of all the other alarm monitoring services cost. Recently, Simplisafe contacted me and offered a free upgrade to their newest alarm system. They shipped me all of the newest components of my system and asked me to ship them my old system. So, after I installed the new system, I shipped them my old system. I am very happy with Simplisafe. I would highly recommend.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

The system is very easy to install and gives you total and complete control of every aspect of the alarm system. For example, when the alarm is set on you can allow 30 or 45 seconds to put in the code for a door opening but have it go off instantly for a window or door that you don't normally use. You can have motion sensors active to alert you even when the alarm is off to be notified if someone enters your bedroom while you are away. It is all controlled with a smart phone and can be armed/disarmed remotely and cameras viewed as well. It is a very good system and the cost is very low with NO long term contracts. The ONLY setback is that you need to buy all the equipment upfront and it can cost between $300 and $500 depending on what all you desire.

Original review: July 13, 2021

SimpliSafe customer service is horrible. It took me several calls and stayed on hold for 35-40 minutes to close my account. The equipment is just ok. I would lose camera connection often and the cameras were very loud when operating. Very cheap product with zero customer service response time. I do not recommend using them.

Original review: July 1, 2021

I did my research and decided to go with a SimpliSafe system. I went on their website and “built” a package that would meet my needs. (Over $350, with discount.) There was, and still is a pop-up on their site that promises a SimpliSafe Camera for free if you purchase a complete system. It does not say it has to be a pre-bundled system or that the offer was not valid with any other coupons or offers. In the process of submitting my order I am advised that I can get a 40% discount if I order today. Sounded great as everything is grossly overpriced anyway. I order. A few days later the package arrives without the promised free camera.

I attempted again today (9 days later) to get the issue taken care of because I never did get the “call back” I was promised. After a 35 minute wait the call was answered. The CS Rep was understanding and AGAIN ran the question by a supervisor, actually two of them. Now they tell me I have a couple of options. Send my entire system back for a full refund, reorder a new system with a 35% discount and receive the free camera. That would make my order about $20 more that it was the first time. Or, purchase a camera for 40% off (with shipping about $70). So I spend about $90 to get a free $99 camera. Duh!

Original review: July 1, 2021

Recommended by a friend and yes while easy to install & use, FORGET about Customer Service. Billing will most likely be a problem based on other reviews I should have looked at before purchasing. Now I need to return a rather expensive item ($169 + tax) which online appeared to be a simple thing. Instead have spent over an hour on hold between 2 calls, presently on call # 3 and guess what, on hold again. Hold music is about as soothing as nails on a chalkboard, so of course I'm assuming most people hang up, as I did 45 minutes into last attempt. No reply to multiple emails, no stores & no other options online to resolve issues myself. Do I feel like a sucker or what?!!! Save yourself...

Original review: June 26, 2021

My son is a police officer in town and had suggested that I get an alarm system for my home. I purchased 2 sets of alarm systems from Simplisafe, one for my mom's home and one for my own home. 5 out of the 6 alarms for windows and motion sensors arrived with dead batteries for both homes. To talk to customer service the average waiting time is 45 minutes to 1:30 hours any day of the week at any time of day. Was never able to wait for that long to ask for additional batteries, we had to buy our own and that was a considerable unexpected expense.

Two weeks after starting using the equipment the keypads stopped working (batteries dead as well). Three of the window motion sensor had poor glue on the stickers and would not stay. This system was the worst decision ever to try to keep my home safe. After a 55 minute wait, talked to customer service to cancel back in December, by March Simplisafe was still charging my debit card!! I called them again. Today, I just noticed that they have continued to charge my card even when TWICE I have asked to cancel both services. I have been on the phone for 40 minutes waiting for someone to answer my phone call. Save your money and your time - buy a different alarm system. You will get ZERO support from these people. Unprofessional service. As a school teacher on a budget I am very mad at myself for choosing this service.

Original review: June 23, 2021

I paid over 360 dollars for a Simpli Safe system I chose, with the help of a rep on the phone. A box arrived at my property and while I was away...squatters set up the system. I evicted them and found that I can not use the simpli safe system because they put it under their password and email. I do not know where the squatters are and I am not in touch with them. The simpli safe rep let me know that there is nothing I can do but toss out the system, even though I paid for it...once someone else sets it up...it is no longer mine to use. A complete loss and waste of money for me.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Home Security partner.

SimpliSafe Company Information