Protect Your Home

Get a professionally-installed home security system today.

Get Started

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.08/5

Being safe should be simple. SimpliSafe designs home security systems that are wireless, cellular and user-friendly. With an ever-expanding arsenal of sensors and security cameras, SimpliSafe offers all-encompassing protection while integrated apps make comprehensive system control possible from anywhere. Seamless 24/7 alarm monitoring is provided without the long-term contracts and sky-high prices of traditional home security companies. Anyone can set up SimpliSafe in just a few minutes. No drilling. No tools. Visit our site today to start protecting your home!

BOTTOM LINE

SimpliSafe has one of the most affordable home security system plans on the market. You do have to pay for the equipment, but packages are highly customizable, and the DIY installation is easy.

PROS

• Affordable plans
  • Highly customizable packages
  • Simple DIY installation

CONS

• Upfront equipment cost

Top SimpliSafe Reviews

Excellent and easy installation, runs off battery, recognized by local police dept and 15.99 per month. We have had our system 3 yrs and feel very secure.

Our children gave us SimpliSafe as a Christmas gift in 2018, we are very happy with our system … I absolutely love camera that was included in the package that my children bought for us! We can easily check on our pets and the house with these camera … I would recommend this system to anyone.

Protect Your Home

Get a professionally-installed home security system today.

Get Started

How does SimpliSafe work?

SimpliSafe is a home security company that offers DIY systems with a low monitoring cost. The base monitoring plan is $14.99 a month, and the DIY setup is straightforward. All you have to do is place the base station near the center of your home, plug it in and adhere the peel-and-stick sensors to the wall. SimpliSafe offers month-to-month contracts, so you don’t have to commit to a long-term contract.

SimpliSafe cost

With a base plan starting at just $14.99 a month — half the price of some of its competitors — SimpliSafe is one of the cheapest home security systems available. Additional equipment is extra and can cost anywhere from $230 to $490

SimpliSafe plans

SimpliSafe has two monitoring options: the Standard plan and the Interactive plan. The Standard plan is the most basic and comes with 24/7 monitoring on a cellular line. The Interactive plan is a more secure option that includes text notifications and the option to control and monitor the system remotely. You can also buy equipment without a professional monitoring plan if you want to watch things yourself.

Standard planInteractive plan
24/7 monitoring
Cellular connection
Environmental monitoring
Mobile app arm and disarm
Mobile alerts
Video alarm verification
Unlimited camera recording
Standard plan
Interactive plan

SimpliSafe equipment

Once you choose a monitoring plan, you need to select an equipment package from SimpliSafe. The company offers five preset equipment packages — the cheapest is the Foundation at $229, and the priciest is the Haven at $489. However, these prices are just the upfront equipment cost and do not include the monthly monitoring cost. Check out the equipment included with some of the most popular packages below:

Foundation package ($229)
  • 3 additional entry sensors
  • Panic button
  • Freeze sensor
  • Water sensor

You can buy added equipment from SimpliSafe. The equipment is affordable partly because the company sells original, proprietary accessories, which cuts out the middleman.

• Panic button: $19.99
  • Glass break sensor: $34.99
  • Motion sensor: $29.99
  • Entry sensor: $14.99
  • Video Doorbell Pro: $169
  • SimpliCam: $99
  • Smart lock: $99

Is SimpliSafe good?

SimpliSafe is a great home security system. We love that they have affordable monitoring choices and a wide array of plans as well as plenty of customization options. The quick and painless DIY installation means you won’t lose a day setting up your system. If you’re looking for a reliable security system that doesn’t break the bank, it’s hard to go wrong with SimpliSafe.

SimpliSafe Reviews

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

Tired of my home security provider raising prices, so looked into SimpliSafe DIY security systems. The company came highly-rated by organizations I trust, so I took advantage of their sale and ordered a complete system knowing that I could return it within 60 days for a full refund. As promised it arrived at my door in 4 days. I was a bit concerned about self-installation, but I dove in as if I knew what I was doing. From opening the shipping box to final system test took only 45 minutes. 4 entry sensors, 2 motion detectors, smoke detector, freeze detector, camera and keypad were up, tested, and fully operational in that time. I tried the "test" mode and within 30 seconds got a text from Simplisafe telling me they received my test signal.

They give you three days to play with your system before they fully initiate the monitoring feature (i.e., the won't call the authorities until they check with you first). That gave me confidence to play around with the system without generating false alarms. Today the full monitoring went into effect. I tried the "test" mode again and got an immediate phone call from the center confirming my test. My old provider never responded this way to a test. My experience with the help center couldn't have been better. The equipment seems to be well made and well designed. And I can replace components myself if need be. I don't have to pay a tech $100+ per hour to do simple tasks I could do myself if I had the parts. So, goodbye forever to the old, high-priced company, and welcome to the wireless, WiFi and cellular world.

Original review: July 21, 2019

SimpliSafe is a great entry level alarm system. It's very easy to install, set up, arm/disarm and monitor remotely. The alarm company is very good at calling the folks on the notification list before calling the police, so you can eliminate false alarms before they happen. The system can be configured to chime when doors or windows are opened, so even when your alarm system is not armed, you're aware of people coming and going. It will notify you of open doors or windows if you're leaving and attempting to set the alarm.

It can also be configured to just monitor the perimeter entry points of your house or apartment while you are home. That way your doors and windows are monitored while you are sleeping and will trigger if opened. This mode is not recommended if you are prone to sleepwalking. It will also notify you when batteries in sensors are low by telling you it can't contact a sensor. It will show the sensor's code on the alarm panel (which is a bit cryptic) but you can easily log onto your configuration screen and find out which sensor is missing, provided you gave them good names when you set them up online. You did remember to give them good names, right?

I really like the fact that you can add to the system in an a la carte manner with smoke alarms, freeze sensors, water sensors, glass breakage sensors, door and window sensors, PIR motion detectors. However, buying a la carte will be more expensive than buying a complete kit. There was a great deal on a kit system on Amazon during Prime Days recently. They also have cameras that you can add, and you can monitor the cameras remotely, but the recording storage fees are WAY too high. You can select whether or not you want 24/7 monitoring at all. The monthly monitoring fees are competitive, with the exception of the aforementioned camera recording storage fees.

Check with your local law enforcement agency or city hall to see if there is an alarm permit required. Some municipalities will charge an annual fee if you have an alarm system. I suspect the alarm permit is required so they can get your info on who to hold responsible for false alarms. It does NOT interface with Amazon Alexa or with Google Home, or any other smart home system. There are other systems out there that DO interface with a smart home system, so if that is important, then SimpliSafe is not what you are looking for.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 3, 2019

When you start thinking of a security system, the first thing most people think is large corporations selling huge systems on long-term contracts with crazy monthly bills. I hated that idea and have been holding off for a while now, even through SimpliSafe's first hardware version. I've been watching for the day when there was a home wireless DIY system that I felt was comparable to the massive commercial systems on the market in security (protection). Bells and whistles aside, that's why you buy an alarm system right?

The system came in a large box with compartments holding various components. If you've bought anything in the past 10 years you know how the unboxing goes. The sensors, keypad and other hardware are small, unobtrusive and modern looking devices. They frankly look great. No huge complicated touch screen, just a modern convenient keypad that looks like it was designed in this century. The build quality of the devices themselves was impressive too; the keypad was solid feeling even after being slid into the wall bracket. The sensors show no exposed circuitry on the back, even in the battery compartment. This seems picky, but small polish like that makes it feel like a very quality product.

Setup was just as easy as unboxing. Devices are paired using buttons on the bottom of each device/sensor, and can be added and renamed using the keypad or the remote website / app. Plenty of customizations available, behaviors of various sensors, chimes, volume, extra PIN codes, and so forth. The entry contacts (window/door) are easy to set up, small and work within 2 inches to handle large or odd-shaped window sills or openings. The motion sensor is tiny and fits perfectly into corners. Sensors are powered by standard CR-2032 button batteries and each sensor slides out of the mounting bracket so the batteries can be replaced without using a small screwdriver and prying, or peeling them off the door/window itself. In other words, without tools.

The system is simple to use; the conventional keypad method has buttons for OFF, HOME and AWAY, and work similarly to any system you've seen before. There's also a red panic button on the top of the keypad whose behavior can be modified in the settings, although I'm not sure what for. The app is very simple to use and the Dashboard focuses on the main functions (OFF, HOME, AWAY), while also allowing for complete configuration of the system (as well as the website), although for all of these remote options I believe you need the 'expensive' plan of $25/mo, which I have, and I believe is worth it. The experience seemed like opening and setting up any piece of new technology these days, if you've bought an iPhone, Nest thermostat or similar the experience will be familiar to you. I recommend it very highly.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Our children gave us SimpliSafe as a Christmas gift in 2018, we are very happy with our system. Our daughter has had SimpliSafe since 2015. She bought it when she bought her own home. There were a few minor bugs that were easily worked out with their very helpful staff. One morning the alarm went off at 4:45 am, I was away on business and my wife was alone. They called her as she was in a deep sleep and didn’t hear the alarm, the guy on the end was very sleuthing and reassuring. Talked to her until the police showed up (4 minutes). The police inspected the whole yard/house. What was discovered has, one half of the back kitchen door had dislodged, causing the alarm. I was very grateful and happy that both SimpliSafe and my local police responded to our alarm. We have had no problems with our SimpliSafe!!

I absolutely love camera that was included in the package that my children bought for us! We can easily check on our pets and the house with these camera. The camera even works a night, a big plus. Also the remote access is a feature that I love, being able to turn features on and off has been a bonus (included) that has been invaluable. Being able change features from afar is a must! I would recommend this system to anyone who is looking for a reasonable alarm system.

Original review: March 29, 2019

A friend recommended SimpliSafe as he has the systems in two states 1300 miles apart. After looking at the reviews on other sites and ConsumerAffairs I went with his suggestions and bought the reconditioned system. It took a while to dismiss our other security company because of archaic unpublished rules about discontinue of service even though the contract was 4 years expired and various components had failed over the years. Regardless we got the box and it took a while to remove poorly installed competitors equipment. The new stuff was a snap to install and set up and my only question was promptly addressed by tech support.

I ordered the interactive monitoring and all calls by SimpliSafe have been courteous when we inadvertently trigger the system. The best things about this system are the customization the owner can do, the log that goes back days and days, monitoring our bulldog's behavior, and the fact I can cancel or activate wherever I have a cell signal. My wife and son can use the app and you can set up a distress code to use if you are under duress on entering or after the alarm is triggered. The monitoring price is far less than a competitor we had and the system can’t be negated by cutting phone service, power outages of less than 8 hours or damage to the control panel. You are also notified of power outage if away so you can call the power company to let them know.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SimpliSafe?

Original review: March 27, 2020

I'm only returning the merchandise because the system will not work in the windows of the rental house I'm in. Seems like a quality product however, I've been trying to get a refund on my order since SimpliSafe received my returned order on 3/24/2020. They claim it will take 30 days or more to verify that all of the merchandise is in the box? really? You don't have a confident shipping and receiving department that can count? (This return started well before the virus and lay-offs) So during these hard times and out of work because of the virus when I really need my $662 dollars back I have to wait a month for them to confirm the return? The same as they don't trust me, Now I do not trust them either that the contents of the box will be legit after it sits in shipping and receiving for 30 days. I am definitely getting the run around as if they do not want to refund my hard earned cash. They have the merchandise and my money, I have nothing.

Original review: March 10, 2020

My alarm seemed to be working till last Sunday. I started getting interference detected with the panel constantly telling me to the point I turned the voice off. After checking the system I found my front door wasn’t tripping the system until I moved the control closer, the door is 30 feet from the panel and was working fine. I emailed SS and they told me something is disrupting the signal and have I added something new in my house or has a neighbor added something, I haven’t and if my neighbor has a new router am I supposed to ask him to stop using it? At this time my alarm is useless to me and I would recommend you think about this before purchasing.

Original review: March 9, 2020

In December I tried to turn on their premium monitoring service which would allow me to monitor and change settings on my iPhone or iPad. The system would not let me log in using either my iPhone or iPad so I called in to tech support. They told me I would receive a new cell card for my base station in 2 days. After 4 days I called back and the new card had not been sent. They overnighted me a new base station.

I called in to get the new base station set up a couple of days after it arrived. It did not fix my problem so they had me install the new cell card which arrived a couple of days after the new base station. It didn’t solve the problem either. The technician told me they were going to refer it to someone in corporate and they would get back to me. I waited about a week and called in again. Once more spending an hour or more with the tech on the phone. Still doesn’t work so they said they would talk to a super tech in the morning and call me back. They never did.

Today I talked to them because they billed my Visa card for the monitoring even though I told them in January that they no longer had my permission to use it. What really upset me it that they told me they had no record of my ongoing problem even though I have emails going back to December from SimpliSafe apologizing for how long it was taking to fix my problem.

This is actually a summary of my contacts with them. After my first two times waiting an hour or more on hold to talk to someone I started sending them emails. That did not go too well either. I had an appointment for them to call be at 2:00 PM on a Friday. They called at 9:45 AM I told them I could not talk and asked them to call back at 2:00. They called back on Sunday 2 days later. The tech could not fix the problem so she said she workdays call me back on Monday after she talked to a super tech. She still hasn’t called back and it’s been about a month.

Original review: Feb. 29, 2020

Don’t waste your money on SimpliSafe smoke detectors. I’ve had nothing but problems. The fire department was called out 2 or 3 times while I was at work due to false alarms. I ended up removing the defective smoke detectors after only 2 or 3 months in service. SimpliSafe only provides a 60 day return policy regardless of the reason. By the time I decided to remove the detectors, I was outside of the 60 day window and now I’m out the cost of the detectors plus the cost having to go buy other detectors that will actually work. I’m really disappointed in SimpliSafe and recommend if you want a system that does more than provide security, look elsewhere for a company that will stand behind all of their products.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

I purchased an full alarm system from SimpliSafe I. 3/20/19. Nine months later, in December 2019, I purchased some needed add on components. I could not get them to install so I called customer service and was told that I had the old model and anything they sell now is only compatible with the new model. Basically, I would need to purchase a full system upgrade to be able to use any of my parts. I had invested over $600 with SimpliSafe at the point.

It turns out that they did their upgrade in 2018, but still sold me the old model without disclosing that it would not be compatible with any add-insect. It was not clearance, I bought it direct from SimpliSafe at the regular new customer bundle pricing. I feel the upgrade is a scam, that is forcing customers to replace parts that are less than a year old. I would like them to refund my purchase or allow me to exchange my “old” system for the upgraded model since that is what they should have given me in the first place.

SimpliSafe Company Information