2.48/5

Need a home alarm?

110 SimpliSafe Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 16, 2019

I purchased SimpliSafe when my fiancé was being deployed overseas. Upon installation, we didn't activate the service until he left. Once activated, each time I could call the company, no one would answer. Since then, I have had multiple glitches with the system, the most recent scaring me more than ever. I was home and accidentally tripped the home alarm. I wasn't able to answer their phone call because I was in the shower, so I couldn't turn the alarm off either. 4 minutes later, it shut itself off. The company never called me back to see if I was okay. What if something was happening to me in my home? Isn't that the purpose of this system? When I emailed them, because I can't ever get them on the phone, they said they advised I see the product on eBay if I wasn't satisfied. I'm appalled.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Our children gave us SimpliSafe as a Christmas gift in 2018, we are very happy with our system. Our daughter has had SimpliSafe since 2015. She bought it when she bought her own home. There were a few minor bugs that were easily worked out with their very helpful staff. One morning the alarm went off at 4:45 am, I was away on business and my wife was alone. They called her as she was in a deep sleep and didn’t hear the alarm, the guy on the end was very sleuthing and reassuring. Talked to her until the police showed up (4 minutes). The police inspected the whole yard/house. What was discovered has, one half of the back kitchen door had dislodged, causing the alarm. I was very grateful and happy that both SimpliSafe and my local police responded to our alarm. We have had no problems with our SimpliSafe!!

I absolutely love camera that was included in the package that my children bought for us! We can easily check on our pets and the house with these camera. The camera even works a night, a big plus. Also the remote access is a feature that I love, being able to turn features on and off has been a bonus (included) that has been invaluable. Being able change features from afar is a must! I would recommend this system to anyone who is looking for a reasonable alarm system.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 1, 2019

System seems to fail each time I really need it... Away for extended period... Get different stories from different people at SimpliSafe. No one seems to know what they are doing. Would never purchase again. This is an actual customer. No funny business. I didn't add photo of invoice because I couldn't figure out how to do it.

Original review: March 29, 2019

A friend recommended SimpliSafe as he has the systems in two states 1300 miles apart. After looking at the reviews on other sites and ConsumerAffairs I went with his suggestions and bought the reconditioned system. It took a while to dismiss our other security company because of archaic unpublished rules about discontinue of service even though the contract was 4 years expired and various components had failed over the years. Regardless we got the box and it took a while to remove poorly installed competitors equipment. The new stuff was a snap to install and set up and my only question was promptly addressed by tech support.

I ordered the interactive monitoring and all calls by SimpliSafe have been courteous when we inadvertently trigger the system. The best things about this system are the customization the owner can do, the log that goes back days and days, monitoring our bulldog's behavior, and the fact I can cancel or activate wherever I have a cell signal. My wife and son can use the app and you can set up a distress code to use if you are under duress on entering or after the alarm is triggered. The monitoring price is far less than a competitor we had and the system can’t be negated by cutting phone service, power outages of less than 8 hours or damage to the control panel. You are also notified of power outage if away so you can call the power company to let them know.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I ordered a new system and after one week still did not receive it so I called SimpliSafe and they said the credit card did not go thru (but it did) and the order was on hold. The person said that she released it and will be shipped out that day and that I would get an email with tracking number. Two days later no email so I called and got Franco who was EXTREMELY RUDE. He said it was still on hold. I tried to explain to him my situation, he could have cared less, he went to the manager Bianca came back and told me to just cancel my order. There's nothing he can do...

They charged my credit card almost $600! So I did cancel the order and then he wouldn't give me a confirmation number of cancellation "Just look at your bank statement" he said. I finally got Bianca the manager on the phone and she said Franco didn't tell her anything and finally gave me a cancellation confirmation number. Don't go with these guys! ADT is the most professional, when it comes to the security of my home, I'm going with the best; which is NOT SimpliSafe.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SimpliSafe?

Original review: March 27, 2019

SimpliSafe is affordable to buy with no long term contracts. You can even get cheaper options to start with by looking at their refurbished systems. This is what I did and got my system for half price. I have had it for 3 years now with no issues other than having to replace some batteries. Fast response when I test the system IE smoke detector. Easy to install and maintain. No wires to run.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Called Simplisafe today and spoke to Tye (wouldn't give last name) and was rude telling me that my service wasnt with them but when I read off my bank statement she said, "Oh yeah thats us" - they canceled my svc without telling me and did so for non-payment but the payments have always been on time due to being on auto pay. AVOID USING THIS COMPANY!

Original review: March 23, 2019

We purchased equipment from SimpliSafe based on reviews from tech magazines (probably the one they quote in their advertisement). We have had nothing but a lot of hassle with this company: lots of wasted time on the phone, supposed fixes such as replacement doorbell chime, replacement doorbell camera, etc. Although the camera is supposedly connected to the Wifi, I frequently get a notice that the camera was not in use when attempting to view a recording. This happens at least once a day, usually more often.

I often do not get a notification that someone is on or coming up to the steps to my porch or when a car is stopped directly in front of my house and someone gets out. It makes it difficult to share with police any video that may help in tracking crime. I don’t feel safe with this system; it’s unreliable! And every single time I call, I am on the phone a long time: long hold times, long wait times while someone is “checking” to see how to “solve” a problem. No problems have been resolved. They appear to do this so you won’t cancel within the 60 day period and send the equipment back. So now we are out the money. Do not waste your time or money on this company! I regret not going with Ring Doorbell as many of my neighbors have it and are satisfied (they have actually been able to share video, unlike me).

Original review: March 23, 2019

According to the SimpliSafe process flow chart on their site: if the alarm is tripped, a SimpliSafe rep will call your phone and ask if everything’s OK. You’ll have to provide a safe word, and if you can’t give it, the authorities will be on their way. However, this process was not followed at my home today (3/23/2019). My Niece opened an outer door early this morning, and after 30 seconds (I have a 30 sec delay) the alarm sounded. My wife turned off the alarm after about 20 seconds. There was no call from SimpliSafe to verify if all was well, and no notification to Police.

I called SimpliSafe and was told that if I disarmed the system prior to the monitoring person contacting me, then there would be no follow-up. I view this as a deficiency in SimpliSafe's process; they should always verify - via the safe word - with the homeowner that all is well. I was told by the SimpliSafe agent that what happened is normal, and that they would not consider changing their process. I view this as poor customer service and poor process design. I will be checking other security products and companies.

Original review: March 18, 2019

SimpliSafe offers more options than any other DIY security company. In one, low price, package I got door sensors, motion, 2 keypads, and even a camera! The downside is that I frequently get errors from the sensors. I feel SimpliSafe missed the mark on user experience. The app is extremely basic, and the setup process could be way better.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Upgraded my aging Simplisafe in 2018 to new generation system. Big mistake as many of the new system components have failed. Support response times are long and takes a day or longer to get a call back. Buyers beware.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Better than ADT, no monitoring contracts required! Put it in myself in minutes. Have motion sensors, door contacts, numeric pad, siren, yard sign. No tech knowledge needed. Love it, and the money saved!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

No warning of issues earlier in the day. No warning by text or email earlier in the day. Only notification of a problem is when I try to turn it on before going to bed and it says it cannot contact dispatch! So it just makes a local noise like some piece of crap that I don't have to pay $30 a month to support! This is totally unacceptable. Call support, and they are closed. Call the monitoring service, and they say to call support. Groundhog day. What have I been paying for? I guess I need to switch to a "real" alarm company.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

They do not have their own monitoring service. They they subcontract it out. That is fine. However when the person calling you is rude and hangs up before you are able to call your wife to check on her safety is unacceptable. I no longer feel safe with this company. Called to complain and they wanted me to call the subcontracted company to complain. They lost my business today.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Whoever said these aren't real reviews is full of it. I am an actual customer - or should say WAS until they screwed me over one last time. I was a customer with Simplisafe for over 10 years. Despite the repeated equipment failures over the years, I kept adding components since I already had it installed. Some of the highlights of what really sucked were: 1) to add cameras, I had to shell out another $350 for a new base station and keypad (although the ones I had worked fine and the new ones looked identical). 2) Wait times so long that you have to leave a message and hope you're not at work when they call you back. 3) Repeated camera and keychain remote failures at the most inopportune times (I swear they watch them and wait for something to happen and turn them off - yes, REALLY. It was that bad). 4) Over the past 6 months, they hired completely incompetent staff.

The final straw was when the keychain remote they sent me to replace the broken one they sent me to replace another broke one, was BROKE (confusing and frustrating? YOU BET! ), they told me the last was was a courtesy and wanted another 25 bucks because my system was out of warranty (despite my JUST upgrading to a new $350 system I didn't need (which was still under warranty) ). I had enough and called to cancel monitoring with them and planned to just use the keypad with another monitoring system.

Well, lo and behold, they immediately HIJACKED my alarm system (my own property that I purchased - this is not a lease, mind you) and shut it down remotely. Over 2 grand in equipment - BRICKED. Now I can't even have the system monitored by another company. BEWARE. Unbelievable. I'm contacting an attorney tomorrow - your best bet is to just avoid them in the first place.

The cameras are junk, the new Simplisafe 2 system malfunctions, the keychain remote are sketchy at best, and the fire alarm goes off on its own for no reason whatsoever randomly - leaving you with fine after fine if you live in a locality that fines you for false alarms. This company has stolen from me. My property -and damn near my sanity.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

While it is easy to set up and a cool concept - the equipment is not reliable at all. I have three cameras fail in four months and numerous issues with disconnecting components. Then when you call customer service you are often on hold for 30 minutes or more. Not worth the investment until they get better more reliable equipment.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

We had been customers for many years and stupidly decided to upgrade our systems (personal and business). We added a camera to our home system which we could never get to work. We went through at least 5, with two going online but only for about a week and then nothing. From 7-31-18 through 1-22-19 I spent at least 648 minutes or 10.8 HOURS over 28 phone calls with these people. Average call was 30+ minutes and one lasted 100 minutes. They promised to refund the camera over several months, but never did and gave me the continued runaround from November 2, 2018 through 1-9-19 to get $59.40 refunded! They are thieves at best. We cancelled both accounts as how can you trust them to take care of you, to possibly be placing your life or those you care about in their hands? Scary.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I received the alarm system last night and decided to install it first thing this morning. Problem number one: The camera can only be set on top of a shelf or furniture. I had explained that I was going to use it in the lobby of my building. It needs to be mounted on the ceiling. In order to do this the base must be modified and the image will be upside down in the app. The app does not have the capabilities to reverse the image.

Problem number two: The window sensors as shown on page 6 of the setup guide, only protect the lower sash of the window. All the alarm systems that I have owned, the window sensor protects the upper and lower sash at the same time. The sensor is placed on the meeting rails of the window. One piece is placed on the top sash and the other on lower sash, where the two sashes meet. I tried to explain this to a supervisor (Tyler). He said I can modify the system to meet my own needs. He just kept talking over me and when I would raise my voice, he said it sounds like you mad. I asked him to listen to what I have to say and he may learn something. He said I guess you want a return label to send the item back. I'm not looking to re-invent the wheel and modify the system. I expect the system to work as they advertise--right out of the box.

Problem number 3: Carbon monoxide detectors are not available and they don't know exactly when they will be. I called and I was told that they will probably be available in three months. I was told by the sales dept. that they had problems with the carbon monoxide detectors and they are working on them. I asked if they could find out how long it would take to resolve the issue with the detector and I was told the engineering dept is very busy and they will get to it. It seems as though this company does not know the meaning of security. They only alarm half of a double hung window and tell you that you can modify the system if you can do better.

The camera has a very limited means of installation. The carbon monoxide detector is an essential part of the alarm system and they tell you to purchase one in the interim, while they take there time to figure out why they had a problem with the previous carbon monoxide system. I'm not angry and I will return the alarm and get a refund. I can only get angry at someone who understands the problem and refuses to acknowledge it. SimpliSafe does not understand the problem and there only comment is you can modify the system anyway that will work for you. I am saying the loud and clear to anyone interested in this system--STAY AWAY--DO NOT PURCHASE. I hope this will help others.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Equipment came quickly and was easy to install. I used the included screws to install everything as I do not trust double-stick tape. The monitoring company is excellent. Most people are not aware that most alarm companies do not provide the monitoring service. Rather they use one of only several 3rd-party monitoring companies that provide nationwide service. SimpliSafe uses COPS Monitoring, out of New Jersey. I've accidentally set off my alarm and get a phone call from them in less than 2 minutes. I keep their phone number in my phone contacts list.

My only complaints are the occasional software bugs. Sometimes a single sensor is not communicating with the base station. At other times, when I return through an entry keypad other than the one I set the alarm with, the base station keeps counting down even though the keypad said, "Alarm off". I have to go to the other keypad and enter my pin there as well. Not all the time, but enough to bother me. Just can't beat the $14.95/month monitoring fee.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I initially liked the company service, but that has changed recently when I ordered an additional system. The Answers change depending on who you talk to in Customer Service, they lack consistency on technical support, and they don’t often honor their commitments. Then Customer Service has become shoddy and shady. For example, if you experience a problem with a representative, you can’t talk with a supervisor and can’t contact administrative offices to inform about problems with their operations. I would not suggest this company to anyone because they are going downhill.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I just read a review by someone falsely claiming that the negative reviews regarding SimpliSafe were all "fake news". They certainly are not! I've experienced many of the same problems with this company: Terrible customer support; failed connection to dispatch; failed text messages and/or emails, and faulty equipment. I wholeheartedly suggest that if you are considering an alarm system to protect your home and family, invest your time and money elsewhere.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

This appears to be a classic example of a successful business growing too fast and pinching too many pennies. The hardware started failing immediately after installation. They kept replacing sensors, but then the system mysteriously stopped reporting failures. I accidentally discovered that none of my motion detectors work less than 6 months after installation and they won’t do anything about it. I have $700 investment in a pile of junk! Save your money for more insurance... It will pay off much better in the long term!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Got SimpliSafe when I heard good reviews of the system and it seemed like a cheap option for home security. The system arrived quickly but the packaging was damaged (probably not their fault) and with one broken door sensor. They quickly replaced this broken sensor. Two weeks later, the keypad malfunctioned and went off continuously from 2-4 am everyday. The central monitoring center only called one number (mine and not my partner's). If you do not get to the phone in time, they call the police. Each time the police receive a false alarm, you are charged by the police department $75-200 (I live in New Orleans, I'm sure prices are different in different cities).

I contacted them, they sent a replacement keypad but of course refused to pay the over $200 in false alarm fees that I owe. I used the replacement keypad for one week before it also broke and caused false alarms throughout the night. I finally had it and called to cancel. After an hour and a half on hold, they told me, "You should try to sell your system on eBay." I informed them it was broken, and after much debate, said I could have a full rebate. All in all, the system cost me about $250 in false alarm fees over 3 months. Total waste of money.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I've had my SimpliSafe security system for my home for over a year. I subscribed to their home monitoring service. I just canceled my monitoring service and will replace their security system with another brand. The unit gave "No link to Dispatch Center" annunciations about 30% of the time. This means that if the alarm went off due to an intruder, no call would go out for help to the monitoring station.

I called their tech support line a number of times. They told me to unplug the base unit and remove the batteries, wait a minute and put it back together. It would help for a very short time before losing the monitoring link again. I powered it down and entered the test mode so many times that I could literally do it with my eyes closed, all to no avail.

SimpliSafe decided it was the SIM board in the unit and sent me another one. I installed it. Seemed to work for a day or so, and then more lost link annunciations. Ultimately they offered to upgrade me to their latest system for a 40% discount over full price. That did not sit well with me. I purchased my security system as a working system and fully expect that SimpliSafe would do whatever they could to ensure the system I bought would work as advertised. The bottom line is that they stopped communicating with me. I could either buy an upgrade or stuff it, so I just canceled my monitoring service and will replace my security system with one from another company. I would highly suggest avoiding SimpliSafe alarm systems. They certainly do not stand behind their product! There are too many options on the market to screw around with a company that doesn't seem to care about you or your safety, and isn't that why we buy alarm systems?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

After several years with this service, I'm stuck with it. So much time, money and effort expended that it is economically impossible to switch elsewhere now. Incessant calls to tech support (which responds very well but seems powerless to eliminate repetitive problems) means hours spent in trying to identify and fix which component has failed.

I have now had EIGHT(8!) cameras out of the 2 to be installed; they seem to work for about a year and then fail without explanation. The various sensors fail at regular intervals, resulting in a flashing blue light on the base station, with yet another call to tech support. And on and on and on it goes. They try to suggest it is my internet service (a 100mb system which works FLAWLESSLY on each and every other system in the house), but it clearly is not, else other systems too would fail, but they never do. All I can suggest is to STAY AWAY from this service, OR try and exhaust every other brand first. Don't be swayed by any cost savings, this one's just not worth it.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

These reviews posted within were wrote by someone for the Consumer Affairs fake website. SimpliSafe is very reputable and always answers the phone, calls the police and is very helpful! They explain everything and they also let you know, this is a DIY!!! So people need to understand, that if you don't know how to install things, then don't write fake harmful reviews! If you don't answer your phone when the alarm company calls, then why do you have the alarm or complain about having to pay for the police or fire department to be dispatched? If your sensors fall off, THEN USE THE SCREWS!!! Seriously, if you don't know how to fix things, then call a professional to install and stop complaining and writing fake reviews to hurt a company's reputation!

I have 4 of these systems installed in 3 homes and 1 rental I own. I have never had a problem with a sensor falling off, with a false alarm, I have had 1 alarm that would go off when I had a ceiling leak in a vacation home, but that was simple to remedy just by using the app and shutting off the system and restarting it, because there is someone there, then the alarm will continue to re-trigger, if it is something like a leak, then they have monitors for it and also the system won't re-trigger!

Also, they always call me when I have had any alarm and I always reach a representative that is always very polite and helpful! When my camera didn't install correctly, I called them and they walked me right through it and fixed the issue! As far as only having T-Mobile for their base station? That is a lie! My vacation home only has service using VERIZON! So SimpliSafe swapped out my base station from their contracted T-Mobile base with a Verizon base because the original didn't work! All it took was a phone call and some testing to get it switched!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

We have had our alarm triggered twice (both being false thank goodness) but the monitoring company did not call. Last night I was home when the alarm went off. I had set it to home but somehow the motion sensor was triggered setting off the alarm. I ended up cancelling the alarm, calling 911 MYSELF to ask for assistance in making sure my home was safe. I then called the alarm company only to be on hold for almost 17 minutes before anyone answered my call. What if this had been a true emergency? We will be cancelling our service with the company and going with another one that cares about their customer’s safety.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I sent floor plans so I could get a customized system instead of their pre-configured systems. I was told I would get copies backed with sensor locations indicated on the markups. My shipment arrived but no marked up floor plans. When I called about the missing markups, they said "we are paperless and have no way to mark up images". What company in this digital age doesn't have software to mark up pdf files?

Then I was told I could arrange a phone call appointment so a customer service person could give me recommended sensor locations. I just finished waiting 45 minutes and no one called. I know Simplisafe advertises nationally on talk radio. People like Kim Komando are recommending this and they should all know about all of our complaints. I wonder what would happen if all of these radio hosts were told the truth. Michael Savage, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin and Rush Limbaugh are taking their ad money. They should know and decide whether to continue to endorse Simplisafe. What would happen if Simplisafe corporate were directly contacted by all of our complaints?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Watch out for these people. Ordered a SimpliSafe system. Was told that the item would ship out and that I would have the item in no more than seven business days. That was important to me, as I had schedule issues where I needed to know a no later than delivery date. Well... on the sixth business day, I went to track my delivery via UPS with the supplied tracking number. The system had not even been shipped. Then I check my credit card and find that SimpliSafe charged my card the day after the order was placed. So, they have my money and the system has never shipped.

I called "customer service" and was given nothing but a giant runaround. Got nothing but excuses. They even went so far as to tell me that they were busy and behind on orders and I needed to understand. OK, but their purchase agreement says that you will receive the system in five to seven business days. I asked to cancel my order. That is when things got ugly. I insisted that they immediately credit my credit card. They refused to do so and said that it would happen in seven business days. Then they tried to blame that on the credit card companies and their requirements. That simply is false! I gave Amazon as an example. Return a received item to Amazon through their process and you have a credit issued before they even receive the returned item.

They issue a credit as soon as the return package is scanned and in the carrier's possession. So... with SimpliSafe, place an order and they charge your card IMMEDIATELY before shipping your product and have no responsibility to keep their part of the agreement and ship the item on time. Cancel an order (that has not even been shipped) and they say a credit will be issued in seven business days? Caveat emptor!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I have not purchased any product from SimpliSafe and never will!!! I inquired about their product and now they bombard me with emails. I have unsubscribed at least a dozen times and it has gotten worse! I wrote to them twice even saying I would give them bad reviews on their customer service and yet the emails continue. If this is the way they handle people I can’t imagine how they would handle their customers. I would never use their product or recommend it, period.

SimpliSafe expert review by Ben Mannes

Choose from 2 plans for $14.99-$24.99, or 5 contract-free packages for $229-$499. A Build My System option is also available. All systems are do-it-yourself install with 3-year warranties.

• No contracts: SimpliSafe doesn’t require customers to sign a contract. You can cancel at any time if you’re unhappy with the service.

• DIY installation: To reduce costs, SimpliSafe security systems are designed to be self-installed in a matter of minutes. They arrive pre-programmed to work instantly. Because they’re wireless, you don’t need to worry about drilling holes or running wire through your house.

• Optional monitoring: You can decide whether or not you want to pay an additional fee for monitoring. Without monitoring, your SimpliSafe system will operate as a local alarm. Rates for monitoring start at 50 cents per day, and you can upgrade at any time.

• Free smartphone app: Take control of your SimpliSafe system by downloading SimpliSafe’s free smartphone app. The app allows you to remotely arm or disarm secure your home from anywhere in the world.

• Customizable: SimpliSafe’s system is completely customizable, so you can add products as you need them. Their system supports up to 41 sensors. In addition to security sensors, SimpliSafe offers fire and environment sensors.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
    Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

SimpliSafe Company Information