2.94/5
Need a home alarm?

Last updated: April 5, 2018

47 SimpliSafe Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 5, 2018

The alarm system went off when my wife accidentally opened the front door when the system was armed. My wife quickly went down the hallway to the keypad alarm and turned off the system. The front door has an entry sensor and a camera monitoring it 24/7. I logged onto the SimpliSafe website to look at the incident and the video of my wife opening and shutting the front door. The video was missing so I called SimpliSafe and had to listen to 36 minutes of how they were having technical difficulty with their camera system.

I asked that a supervisor call me the next day so I could get the issues resolved (no call the next day) so I am writing this review on Consumers Affairs. In short I pay to have this service functional 24/7, I am not interested in their excuses, perhaps if they would have sent me a text message warning me the of their failure it would be different. I do not recommend this system to anyone. Terrible communication and response to customer needs and request.

Original review: March 25, 2018

This is by far the worst company I have ever dealt with along with the worst alarm system on the market. Constant false alarms. Key chain remotes never work. Motion sensors go off for no reason. The customer service department has continually lied to me. First they said, "We will credit you for the new system." And now I call back a week later and the lady who I speak with says that I was told false info, REALLY WTF kind of operation are these people. Every time I call with another problem they just want to send me a replacement sensor or key fob or some other component that is bad again. ALL I CAN SAY IS STAY FAR AWAY FROM SIMPLE JUNK!!!

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: March 7, 2018

We've had our system for just under 3 weeks and since then, this company announced it was distancing itself from the NRA and would be discontinuing all discounts to NRA supporters. That in itself is discrimination but not they are not answering questions or concerns we have about this system or their unfair business practices. I've sent several emails and posted to their Facebook page without response. Here is the latest: "Your lack of response to customer's questions about distancing yourself from the NRA and discontinuing the discounts is certainly discrimination against NRA supporters. It's disgusting. Guns don't kill people... people kill people and you are penalizing and punishing a huge sector of your clientele (and future clientele) that hasn't done anything wrong. Do you think these crazies that committed these horrible acts are NRA supporters? I very seriously doubt it."

"If that's the case then all the murders committed on a daily basis in Chicago, Baltimore, L.A., and other crime-laden cities run by liberals is also the NRA's fault?

Perhaps THAT is blamed on NRA supporters too? That's insanity. Criminals don't support gun laws, don't buy guns legally, and could give two hoots about any of us that support the 2nd Amendment or the NRA. SimpliSafe should be working with the NRA to help protect Americans from crime rather than against it. As usual with liberals, your logic is twisted and totally anti-American."

Businesses like this one should never put themselves into the middle of a political issue and/or public debate, particularly if they are unwilling or unable to justify their actions. In this case, I no longer feel I can trust the safety and security of my home and family to a company that does not back my Constitutional rights under the 2nd Amendment. I have requested an RMA and prepaid shipping label to return our system under their 60 day returns policy and all I receive from them are canned email responses that do not answer or address my questions or concerns. I cannot in good conscience recommend this company for that reason alone, politics aside.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I researched quite a few alarm systems on the market. SimpliSafe caught my eye with their new system. The old system I understand had some difficulties. In my case I was looking for one system that could service two structures. My residence and my office, which is just about 55 yards away. I installed my main system in my residence first. No connectivity issues at first, everything went smooth... until I tried to connect to my WiFi. It would simply not connect to my main network, which is 2.4 and 5.0 GHz. It would say... wrong password or are you connected to the internet.

Well, I had to call customer service who told me that this system does not work with 5.ghz, only with 2.4ghz. Simple solution was to create a guest network and it connected the very first time. A few weeks later after receiving additional sensors, I installed a siren, motion detector, door sensors, keypad and smoke detector in my office. Even though I am in a metal building, the signal goes through without any lag. I hit the smoke detector test button to see it works and the siren almost blew my hearing out. I had it on medium btw. 30 seconds later I received a call from SimpliSafe for a triggered smoke alarm. THAT WAS FAST. So far I can only highly recommend this NEW system. It looks very sleek, modern and it comes in black. The iPhone app is also very functional. I can't wait until they come out with their doorbell.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I have the "old" system. 1 year old and completely obsolete. Range and connectivity to sensors is a problem. Still working on that issue. Difficult to get the big picture of the alarm status when you have a lot of sensors. This version does NOT support any sort of web interface locally or remotely. That raises my #1 complaint. When they came out with the new model, all the sensors were incompatible with existing one. I have a huge investment both in time to install them and cost to purchase. No way I will throw everything away and start again. They should have engineered compatibility into the new base unit which seems to have some features that would make this an ok system. But I'll never know. Ripped off once by them. Never again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SimpliSafe?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I called company prior to purchasing this system, as it was a large investment and inquired about the equipment. One of the sales tactics they tell you is that you purchase the equipment, and should you ever have any issues or want to upgrade SimpliSafe will allow you to. Less than a year later doesn't SimpliSafe come out with a new system. I called to inquire how I could upgrade and I was told that if I purchased the new system, I would be able to return my old system. I called back 4 business days later, and was told that SimpliSafe just had a meeting and is not allowing upgrade options at this time. I am upset because I was misled at the time of purchase when I was told that SimpliSafe would allow you to upgrade. I am also upset because some customers were able to return systems for the newer model. If you go to simplisafe.com and read in the customer forums... You can see where these discussions were had.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

We bought into the whole DIY wireless Simplisafe Security System. Installation was very easy. Connectivity was very different. The base station could not find our internet. The display showed only one. It wasn't ours nor none of our neighbors. Customer Services was not helpful and was very exhausting. I gave it a break and tried again the next day. For 3 hours, working with 2 services (haha) reps, they had me do the same steps over and over again. The rep. would ignore all my question, but stayed insistent that I keep following the same steps over and over again. We I asked to speak to a supervisor, he ignored me and kept wanting me to try one more thing, THE SAME THING AS BEFORE.

After an approximately 3-hour ordeal, I asked for a refund and return label. He emailed a label that sent the package to myself!!' **Attention** We are a going on 3 weeks now that Simplisafe charged my credit card and we still don't have our money refunded. Yesterday a SimpliSafe representative told me that I'll get my refund next week. If you are having problems, DON'T call customer service, call their sales department, it won't help much, but it will get you talking to someone quicker.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I purchased the older system 2.0 in November 2016, we had no problems except the keypad entry was small and not backlit. When the new system 3.0 came out I upgraded to it this January, it is night and day easier to install, the base station tells you by name if there are any open sensors, also the mobile app works ten times faster than the old one. Customer service lacks a lot, messages aren't returned and it takes a long time for someone to answer, once answered I was pleased with the help I received.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I signed up for SimpliSafe and ran into nothing but problems with the system from day one. I was able to install all of the equipment without issue but could not get the base to connect to their monitoring service. I called customer support and waited on hold for someone to pick up for 30 minutes. The hold music says, "Thanks for your call, we'll be with you as soon as possible. You may press 5 at any time to leave us a message."

After waiting for 30 minutes I figured, fine I'll leave a message and have them call me back. Left a message, not return phone call. I emailed their customer support 5 different times, the only response I got back was to call the customer support. Called customer support again waited 45 minutes, no answer. Got fed up so I returned the equipment. They refunded me for the equipment, but of course, they did not cancel the monitoring so I continued to get billed monthly. Finally, after waiting another 45 minutes on hold someone picked up the phone and I was able to get the service canceled. Waiting 45 minutes to get someone on the call for customer support is not a quality you want in a home security system. I switched to ADT and they pick up the phone within 60 seconds. This company is a joke, do not waste your time and money on faulty equipment and terrible customer service.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I have never been able to get through to them on the phone. After waiting 25 minutes I just give up. If I leave a message, they don't call back right away, and then when they do finally call I'm not at home. I don't see how this company can stay in business. Who would trust them to monitor a system if you can't even contact them?!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I have had nothing but problems from the beginning with SimpliSafe. It started with connectivity issues right out of the box. My new SimpliSafe home system could not establish a continuous connection to the SimpliSafe Monitoring Center. After numerous replacement components of the white tower unit, I was able to establish a semi continuous connection and the system seemed to work relatively well. Then I started experiencing false alarms when the system was armed in the “away” mode, saying there was motion being picked up by one of the motion sensors. I have a separate camera system that monitors and records all activity inside and outside the home. There was no motion recorded where SimpliSafe claims motion occurred. I then started losing the ability to keep a connection to the monitoring center which rendered the system useless.

Every time I had an issue with the system, I had to call Customer Service which was as annoying as the continued inability to keep my home secured. I would be on the phone each time for no less than 30 minutes. I became pretty familiar with troubleshooting the system after having to go through the same protocol each time I had to call in only to get customer service reps that knew less about troubleshooting the system than I did. I live in a very large city with ample cell coverage. I would caution anybody looking at purchasing the SimpliSafe system to do your research. If you recently purchased a system and have any issues within the first 60 days of purchase, get your money back immediately and don’t let them continue to try numerous fixes that will take you out of the 60 day period which leaves you out of luck in trying to get your money back. It’s a great concept that is problematic with extremely poor customer service.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I have called several of their customer service numbers on weekdays, weekends, in am, in pm, and every time I call I can't get through. Right now as I type I have been on hold for 24 minutes. The average is 25 min. I have held as long a 45 min. I am wondering if I have an urgent issue, will I be able to get help. I guess that would be a no? This is my 4th time calling and each time I was on hold for so long I just put the phone down on speaker and do something else. I asked if there was a better phone number when I got through finally, and she said no. She agreed she has been receiving complaints about the hold times, but she said they just have high call volume. To that I said they probably need to hire more staff. I asked for corporate number and there wasn't one to give. Not happy, most likely will return the system and get a company that answers the phone.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I cannot activate my service because the system claims that my serial number on my base station is invalid. I have called four times, left a message, and an email and have received no responses. So I have a bunch of useless equipment. I'm sure it works great but with a non-existing customer service function, I will never know.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I have been on hold for over 10 minutes every time I call then leave a message and either don’t get a callback or it’s the next day. I have been told 3 different things to correct my connection problem of which none have worked.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I installed a new unit 5 days ago. It will not communicate with the dispatch center. I have made 5 calls and left 5 messages. I sent 2 emails thru their email system before I got a response (an email). I followed instructions to the "T" twice and moved the base unit to different areas of my home. I even went as far as use an extension cord and took it outside but it still will not communicate with the dispatch center. BUYERS BEWARE!!! If you think you can get a hold of a live person, think again. On hold at least 20-30 minutes each time and ended up leaving a message.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

I have technical issues with my system and I was on hold for hours when I called customer support. I left messages. They got back the next day when I was at work. I called back and responded to the email the customer support left at no avail. Find a different provider.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

When I read the negative reviews here I wanted to add my review because I think there needs to be some balance here. My experience with SimpliSafe has been very good. When I received the system I had trouble updating my base station. I live in a rural location and the cell signal wasn't good enough. I contacted customer service and they prompt sent a new chip which used a different cell provider. Easy to swap and since then it has worked great. Have had it for a year. Love the website which makes it easy for me to organize/monitor/update the system. Have entry alarms on all openings (set to alarm) and motion detectors (set to send me text messages) in several rooms.

I can add keypad pin entry for anyone easy peasy on the website. I always use the last four of their cell phone so they don't forget. That way I know when my pet sitter, electrician, etc. are coming and going. I also use the phone app for easy on/off. Like when I pull out of the driveway and remember I forgot to set the alarm, I can do it from my phone. I have never needed emergency services, but I have messed up and gotten calls from the C.O.P.S. phone center. They are always polite and helpful. Like I said, I am rural and a single, 60+ woman. This system lets me know every time I come home I am entering a safe situation, and if I ever need help it is just a panic button or other alarm feature away.

I'm rating it only four stars because I wish the entry alarms were bi directional - could put them on either side of the window frame. Sure you could put them upside down on the other side, but there is ugly printing on the bottom which would then be visible. That is my only complaint with this system and service I have received from this company.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

They will block your number after complete your order, if you need help they make you listen 20 min of annoy sell record and said the number had change. Give you another number to call. Buyer BEWARE. I wish DAVE RAMSEY didn't endorse them. I would not out of almost $900.00 for 2 systems. VERY DISAPPOINTED.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

They call every time I even test a smoke detector. Why? Not to mention should you burn some toast the whole home alarm is automatically triggered - you don’t get a chance to fan it away to dissipate before the siren deafens you and wakes your neighbors. Imagine my surprise when the firetruck showed up. Suggest just going with a traditional company. Wasted my money. Done with them.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

We purchased the SimpliSafe home security system in January of this year. The equipment has had multiple malfunctions requiring replacements and causing false alarms with local police department incurring fines. The inconvenience and stress has been terrible as the false alarms have occurred while we were out of town on two occasions. The company has been very unethical in their practices with us from refusing to refund us on the purchase of their faulty equipment to not covering the expenses of the false alarm fines. The customer service representatives are not helpful and actually snarky in telling us to “re-gift” our faulty system to get rid of it. Buyer beware in dealing with this company as they are only in it to sell faulty equipment and bad service.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Had this service at a store I owned 3 years ago. I canceled the service when I sold the business. One year later I opened another business and set up Simplisafe. I had an alarm activation and Simplisafe never called the police. Two years into this new business with Simplisafe they sent me an email stating that my trial period has ended and my alarm is active. The address was the old store from 3 years ago. This company is a joke. I can assure you that Simplisafe will not call the police. I can show you the email and dates of service paid for from 3 years ago.

I can attest that my alarm went off for 3 hours without Simplisafe calling the police. SIMPLISAFE IS A HORRIBLY RUN COMPANY THAT CHARGES YOU FOR A SERVICE THAT IS NOT PROVIDED. I repeat Simplisafe does not provide the service they claim. There should be a class action lawsuit against Simplisafe. Please contact me if interested. ** no customer care on weekends. Yes they are closed on the weekend, what a joke!!!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Excellent and easy installation, runs off battery, recognized by local police dept and 15.99 per month. We have had our system 3 yrs and feel very secure.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

Cannot connect with the monitoring service. Their only advice to reset the system. I live in a city and cell service is not an issue. Poor customer service and equipment is cheaper than others for reasons I know now.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

I purchased their system and it was not working. I called customer care and it took close to an hour for the customer care representative to figure out that it uses wireless network. The Customer care representative was not very helpful in explaining details. After cancelling the order they still kept my monitoring on for no reason and charged money. I checked my credit card account and figured out that they have charged for monitoring without the device being active. Bad customer service is all I can say. Stay away.

Original review: May 21, 2017

Initially I liked this system, but after a while the motion sensors started giving false alarms every time I armed the system. I assume from the cats (which I was promised would not happen). Instead of called me first, the police were always dispatched and then I had to request for them to be cancelled, not good. When I complained about this, the company had me spend literally hours of my time fiddling with motion sensors, moving them, turning them upside down, changing the sensitivity, testing them. It was ridiculous. Nothing helped anyway.

I asked numerous times to just exchange them for entry sensors so I could at least feel safe but no, they would only exchange them for - more motion sensors. How idiotic. Why would I want to exchange equipment that doesn't work for more equipment that doesn't work. I had 3 of them that all did the same thing. This girl told me - "We don't know the new ones would not work." Really? So I just happened to get the 3 bad ones? So far, that's my only option. So frustrated.

Original review: April 7, 2017

Good instructions for installing and setting the options in the SimpliSafe website. Easy to install DIY systems with good array of optional devices. Quick responses to alarms.

Original review: April 5, 2017

This company claims its system is pet safe, but the system was constantly being activated by my 9 pound cat. This resulted in 2 false alarms and a charge from the city that I was responsible for. I contacted SimpliSafe multiple times about this problem and they would tell me ways to try to jerry rig the system to not respond to pets. Nothing worked. And it's very difficult to get one of their people on the phone so I spent a lot of time trying. Finally, I had to return the system because the alarm was going off every times I tried to leave the house. They refused to pay for my false alarm even though they promise a pet safe product. They are a dishonest company.

Original review: July 21, 2016

They did what they needed to and helped all that they could. When I called they could have been a little nicer and more professional. They were efficient and fast and answered any question that I had. Very professional and not weird. Since it's scary to have someone come into your house I wasn't scared. Pretty good system and monitoring is definitely recommend to others. Very good value. It's great. Would def recommend to others cause I love it so so so much. I really do I feel so freaking safe.

Original review: July 16, 2016

Very kind people that are always willing to help. I called to get help and didn't have to wait long for an answer. I highly recommend it because they really are extremely helpful to their customers. The workers were very kind and very diligent in their work. They answered any questions I gave them and got all the work done incredibly fast, making me and my family very impressed. The monitoring is great too. I haven't personally had any problems whatsoever with the system, but it is nice to have them monitoring just in case. I can tell they're super diligent when it comes to the process. Very wonderful system for a very low price. I would high recommend this wonderful company because, for a family that has little money to spend on such things, it was a perfect price.

Original review: July 13, 2016

The customer service was great. They are always there when you need them. I would not change them for the world. Any time I ever had a problem they was the first to respond. They was there on time. They were very nice. It took them no time at all to set everything up and I have had no problems at all and that is all. All I can say is that everything about them is great. I have had no problems with anything. I would recommend them to everyone. The value was great. It fitted right into my income. I could not have asked for anything better nor could anyone else. Once I was with them I stayed with them.

SimpliSafe expert review by Erin Raub

SimpliSafe home security systems were designed to be simple to install and use. The systems are customizable and can work with most home and business environments. Customers do not need to sign contracts or have a telephone line to use SimpliSafe.

• No contracts: SimpliSafe doesn’t require customers to sign a contract. You can cancel at any time if you’re unhappy with the service.

• DIY installation: To reduce costs, SimpliSafe security systems are designed to be self-installed in a matter of minutes. They arrive pre-programmed to work instantly. Because they’re wireless, you don’t need to worry about drilling holes or running wire through your house.

• Optional monitoring: You can decide whether or not you want to pay an additional fee for monitoring. Without monitoring, your SimpliSafe system will operate as a local alarm. Rates for monitoring start at 50 cents per day, and you can upgrade at any time.

• Free smartphone app: Take control of your SimpliSafe system by downloading SimpliSafe’s free smartphone app. The app allows you to remotely arm or disarm secure your home from anywhere in the world.

• Customizable: SimpliSafe’s system is completely customizable, so you can add products as you need them. Their system supports up to 41 sensors. In addition to security sensors, SimpliSafe offers fire and environment sensors.

• Best for: Renters, tech-savvy consumers, DIYers, homeowners and business owners.

Profile picture of Erin Raub
    Erin Raub

Alarm & Security Systems Contributing Editor

Erin Raub is a freelance writer, content marketer and blogger. She writes about home security and family safety, as well as digital marketing and business. Erin is also an experienced travel writer, and knows having a trustworthy security system can make any time away from home even more enjoyable.

SimpliSafe Company Information