3.8/5 (513 ratings)

About SimpliSafe

SimpliSafe designs wireless home security systems that are easy to install with no drilling or tools. With a wide array of sensors and security cameras, SimpliSafe offers all-encompassing protection plus integrated apps that make system control possible from anywhere. It provides seamless 24/7 alarm monitoring without the long-term contracts and sky-high prices of traditional home security companies.

Find Home Alarm and Security Systems near you

Pros

• Affordable plans
    • Highly customizable packages
    • Simple DIY installation

Cons

• Upfront equipment costs

Bottom Line

SimpliSafe has one of the most affordable home security system plans on the market. You do have to pay for the equipment, but packages are highly customizable, and the DIY installation is easy.

Top SimpliSafe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SimpliSafe?

Verified

SimpliSafe is an easy to setup home security option. We've always had great interactions with their customer service and the system works flawlessly. The system is easily customiz...

Verified

Our family has found SimpliSafe to be reliable, affordable and a plus was; it was a breeze to install! No high pressure sales pitches whatsoever... You pick and choose what you fe...

How does SimpliSafe work?

SimpliSafe is a home security company that offers DIY systems with low monitoring costs. The base monitoring plan is $14.99 a month, and the DIY setup is straightforward. All you have to do is place the base station near the center of your home, plug it in and adhere the peel-and-stick sensors to the wall. SimpliSafe offers month-to-month contracts, so you don’t have to commit to a long-term agreement.

SimpliSafe cost

With a base plan starting at just $14.99 a month — half the price of some of its competitors — SimpliSafe is one of the cheapest home security systems available. Additional equipment is extra and can cost anywhere from $230 to $490.

SimpliSafe plans

SimpliSafe has two monitoring options: professional and self-monitored. You can buy equipment without a professional monitoring plan if you want to keep an eye on things yourself. The professional monitoring plan comes with 24/7 monitoring, emergency dispatch, unlimited recording and weather monitoring. The self-monitoring plan offers unlimited video footage and alerts for any triggered sensors, though there’s no police or EMT dispatch with this option.

Self-monitoring planLimited Pro MonitoringProfessional monitoring plan
    24/7 monitoring
    Environmental monitoring
    Video alarm verification
    Video alarm verificationYes, up to five camerasYes, up to 10 cameras
    Self-monitoring planYes, up to five cameras
    Limited Pro Monitoring
    Professional monitoring planYes, up to 10 cameras

SimpliSafe equipment

Once you choose a monitoring plan, you need to select an equipment package from SimpliSafe. The company offers five preset equipment packages — the cheapest is the Foundation at $229, and the priciest is the Haven at $489. However, keep in mind that these prices are just the upfront equipment cost and do not include the monthly monitoring fees. Check out the equipment included with some of the most popular packages:

Foundation package ($229)
    • Everything in Knox package
    • Panic button
    • Freeze sensor
    • Water sensor

You can also add on equipment to your SimpliSafe package. The equipment is affordable partly because the company sells original, proprietary accessories, which cuts out the middleman.

• Panic button: $19.99
    • Indoor camera: $99
    • Smart lock: $99

SimpliSafe FAQ

Who monitors SimpliSafe?
    It depends. If you choose a professionally monitored plan, its monitoring team offers 24/7 protection services. There’s also a DIY monitoring option, which lets customers self-monitor their devices without professional support.
    Is SimpliSafe wireless?
    Yes. SimpliSafe’s products work over wireless or cellular connection, meaning they don’t require a landline for operation. If you choose the Wi-Fi or wireless option, you’ll likely have more backup and connectivity than with cellular, although both are options.
    Can SimpliSafe be hacked?
    Yes, and it has happened in the past. Because it works over a cellular or wireless connection, it can be susceptible to hacking. The company has recently added encryption code that should help prevent this from happening in the future.
    Where do I buy SimpliSafe?
    It’s typical to buy these packages and products from the SimpliSafe website, Sam’s Club, Costco, Best Buy and Amazon, but they’re also available in various other locations, including Lowe’s and Walmart.
    Do I need a phone line for SimpliSafe?
    Nope. You can use Wi-Fi or connect to its cellular base station, depending on your preference and what your home’s set up for. Wi-Fi is the best option for consistent connectivity, but it might not be available for everyone.
    Does a SimpliSafe camera need Wi-Fi?
    No, but it might be better for connectivity. You can use the base station to connect over cellular data if you prefer.
    Can I use SimpliSafe without monitoring?
    Yes, SimpliSafe offers a self-monitoring plan.
    Does SimpliSafe have a doorbell camera?
    Yes. The SimpliSafe doorbell camera offers wide-angle HDR video. It costs $169 to add it to a package or to purchase by itself.

Is SimpliSafe good?

SimpliSafe is a solid option for an affordable home security system. We love that it has a self-monitoring and a professional monitoring option, a wide array of plans and plenty of customization options. The quick and painless DIY installation means you won’t lose a whole day setting up your system, too. If you’re looking for a reliable security system that doesn’t break the bank, SimpliSafe is definitely one to consider.

SimpliSafe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SimpliSafe?

Original review: Jan. 1, 2023

I have had services with SimpliSafe for a year and a half. We bought the Essentials Security System with numerous extras for a total over $700. The good: The sensors, base station, etc were easy to install. The bad: The Video Doorbell Pro never worked. From day one we had issues with the videos not loading, they would show a few seconds then give an error message. When we tried to drop in on the camera 9 times out of 10 it would give an error message, or log us out of the account, and it would take 30 seconds or so to log back in. We would then again receive error messages. It would often say "No Video. We did not receive this part of the recording from your camera."

We had two packages stolen during this time and both times all activity around had only error messages. However, even with test runs/kids/dogs we received error message after error message. I called a few times, after a while they offered to send a new one, the new one had the same issues. They had no solutions after that and so I cancelled. When I cancelled they turned off the service that minute even though I had 16 days left on the account that I had already paid for. When I called to inquire about this (they had not told me the account would be cancelled immediately, I assumed, since I didn't receive other information, that it would be cancelled at the end of my service time that was paid for.

They told me it was not possible to refund for the rest of the month not used, and that they would not be able to cancel at the end of the period paid, that I would have to call in before the next month started if I wanted to continue to use the period that I had paid for. Ultimately, after 20 minutes of conversation they did reimburse for the final month (half of which I won't be able to use anyway because the service cancelled) because I had evidence of previous calls for the product not working. Ultimately, I am out probably close to $900 and never had a system that worked.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2022

Had an awful experience too. I ordered three water sensors and then called about one nonfunctioning water sensor and was told to go through "steps," first to verify my identity and then to "fix" the problem. After 20 minutes on the phone and four turn-off and turn-on alarms, I was finally told that I would be sent a new sensor that would arrive in three days. I asked about being compensated for my time without the sensor and my time on the phone and was told I would not be, until I spoke with a supervisor who told me how great the company was. Eventually, I was offered one-month free service. I believe the appropriate action would have been to apologize and rush me a new sensor because I received a defective piece of equipment -- clearly not my fault.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2022

I've been a customer of Simplisafe for 7 years, and I have had nothing but trouble. The alarm system is fine, but the camera surveillance system is the worst. VERY difficult to set up and even harder to use. I have been on the phone extensively over the years; they have sent me replacement cameras (free) because the original failed; and today I spent another 75 minutes on the phone trying to get one of the indoor cameras working. The tech got it working, but 2 hours later it failed again. Plus it takes FOREVER for the cameras to "wake up" and begin transmitting a picture. Finally, the batteries on the outdoor cameras don't last very long - they are rechargeable but you will be doing that frequently. Overall, I am considering another company. I suggest you do the same.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2022

Do not buy! You pay for a service and it conveniently doesn’t record when someone is right in front of the camera doing criminal activity! I called support and they have no footage and only offered me one month free. They also offered to send me a replacement camera but no footage of the event and tried to blame it on an outage in my area. Nope! My doorbell camera from Nest was working the whole time, just didn’t see the criminal. Don’t buy SimpliSafe!!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2022

We've had a SimpliSafe system for several years on our Florida home. We have it monitored only during the months we're in another state. It used to be that I would call and put monitoring on pause for approximately 5 months, then call to reactivate when we left. No problem. However, today I'm told they can pause service for only 3 months. So, now they have a backdoor way to get you onto a 9-month "plan". How's that for sneaky? My trust in SimpliSafe just took a precipitous nosedive.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2022

I placed an order and paid for expedited shipping over 10 days ago, and still have not received equipment. The "bright side" of the delay I suppose is that I was unable to book the installation until 10 days later anyway so there really was no rush, but I wanted to have the system in hand as soon as possible, as I was in the middle of a move. After reaching out several times to customer service I was advised that a shipment tracking number would be available once the items shipped (never once did anyone look into why I hadn't received a tracking number in over a week from placing the order). I finally call to speak with customer service who informed me that there was an issue with the order during the processing, after the payment was made. I am furious that no one caught this, especially after my multiple attempts to inquire about the order status.

My installation appt is for 2 days from now but apparently, my order won't even ship before 2 days from now. The rep offered to reimburse me for the expedited shipping I paid for which is nice, but I am extremely disappointed in this service so far. I don't know yet when I'll be able to reschedule installation, but they previously made me aware that they are booked for the month. I have moved into my new home already and now have to wait even longer to have peace of mind with a security system in place.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2022

Purchased two SimpliSafe outdoor cameras along with their 120V power sources so I didn't have to worry about replacing batteries. The cameras are an absolute failure. By the time they "wake up" which is 5 or more seconds, the 'bad guy' has already walked away! Nothing of value captured. Doesn't even capture me driving my car into the garage! Everything on my end is up to spec - power, network speed, wifi signal strength. Addressed to SimpliSafe with NO RESOLUTION. AND they are still selling the camera. Also have had at least two entry sensors fail (replaced gratis). Definitely will not recommend them for camera security.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2022

We purchased the Simplisafe system about a year ago. We have 3 exterior doors that are metal. Guess what, the door alarms won't work on metal doors unless you create a barrier between the door and the alarm...However, didn't know that until they were installed. However, I only have one that doesn't work at a lot. It will flash like you are opening the door but it won't register that it is open or shut. We have had several occasions when we open the door and it doesn't even buzz you to enter the code and then later, it will go off.

We also had an issue with the fire alarm going off in our newborn daughter's room because of the humidifier being on. The other night, we were out on the patio playing with our children. The fire alarm was "going off" in the dining room because I let peas boil dry (I know...) but it never actually went off...We never heard it. I walked into the house and NO alarms were going off but Simplisafe had already dispatched the fire department because my phone was inside and I didn't get their call. Why was the alarm still not going off when I went into the house because there was still smoke? I pay monthly for this security and all we get is a bunch of false alarms and fighting with the system to recognize that the damn door is shut. I wish I would have went with ADT when I chose a security system. Now I have over $1,500 in stuff that doesn't even work in the most basic of ways like knowing when a door is open or shut.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

I purchased my first (of two) SimpliSafe systems in January of 2021. Included the base, smart lock, video doorbell, one indoor camera and several door sensors. I purchased a second system for another home some months later. Both systems' smartlock has not been reliable. On several occasions I need to either lock or unlock the main door from the app and it does not connect to the base, giving me an error.

I have been on the phone with support many times, and while they are readily available and helpful, I find that they have me uninstall and reinstall the smart lock or reset it multiple times. They even replaced the smart lock and it still fails. They told me they would ship the new one overnight and when it didn't arrive in 2 days they told me it was backordered and arrived a couple of months later. The base is approx 35 ft from the smartlock, unrestricted by walls. The door is steel, the base is on a wood cabinet and the floor is LVP. We check batteries, move the base closer, etc. They have credited me some months of service, which is appreciated, but doesn't help much if the system is unreliable. I have asked about returning the full system(s) for credit and they tell me it's not an option. I had another system in this house previously with no issues. Ever. I would not recommend this system to anyone at this point.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

So I was not happy with this alarm company in any way. It shut off out of the blue in the evenings, the camera would come on in the middle of the day, or kept breaking down and then it would disconnect from the wifi and take forever to hook it up again. In the last six months, I have been dealing with the FBI as they informed me that my daughter and I were being cased for sex trafficking. Cameras in our home, everything. Now that I am going over everything one that was involved with this, they found that the manager was in contact with one of the traffickers and was paid to turn my wifi off so they could get into my house while I was gone. They people are under serious investigation!!

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Home Security partner.

SimpliSafe Company Information