Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.11/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Being safe should be simple. SimpliSafe designs home security systems that are wireless, cellular and user-friendly. With an ever-expanding arsenal of sensors and security cameras, SimpliSafe offers all-encompassing protection while integrated apps make comprehensive system control possible from anywhere. Seamless 24/7 alarm monitoring is provided without the long-term contracts and sky-high prices of traditional home security companies. Anyone can set up SimpliSafe in just a few minutes. No drilling. No tools. Visit our site today to start protecting your home!

BOTTOM LINE

SimpliSafe has one of the most affordable home security system plans on the market. You do have to pay for the equipment, but packages are highly customizable, and the DIY installation is easy.

PROS

• Affordable plans
    • Highly customizable packages
    • Simple DIY installation

CONS

• Upfront equipment cost

Top SimpliSafe Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about SimpliSafe?

This system, SimpliSafe, appears at the outset to be somewhat intimidating to install (self), but is very friendly. I am very happy with my system and the self install was actually fun.There is a one time purchase of hardware ... and no service contract. Customer service is also great.

Our children gave us SimpliSafe as a Christmas gift in 2018, we are very happy with our system … I absolutely love camera that was included in the package that my children bought for us! We can easily check on our pets and the house with these camera … I would recommend this system to anyone.

Protect Your Home

Get a professionally-installed home security system today.

Get Started

How does SimpliSafe work?

SimpliSafe is a home security company that offers DIY systems with a low monitoring cost. The base monitoring plan is $14.99 a month, and the DIY setup is straightforward. All you have to do is place the base station near the center of your home, plug it in and adhere the peel-and-stick sensors to the wall. SimpliSafe offers month-to-month contracts, so you don’t have to commit to a long-term contract.

SimpliSafe cost

With a base plan starting at just $14.99 a month — half the price of some of its competitors — SimpliSafe is one of the cheapest home security systems available. Additional equipment is extra and can cost anywhere from $230 to $490

SimpliSafe plans

SimpliSafe has two monitoring options: the Standard plan and the Interactive plan. The Standard plan is the most basic and comes with 24/7 monitoring on a cellular line. The Interactive plan is a more secure option that includes text notifications and the option to control and monitor the system remotely. You can also buy equipment without a professional monitoring plan if you want to watch things yourself.

Standard planInteractive plan
      24/7 monitoring
      Cellular connection
      Environmental monitoring
      Mobile app arm and disarm
      Mobile alerts
      Video alarm verification
      Unlimited camera recording
      Standard plan
      Interactive plan

SimpliSafe equipment

Once you choose a monitoring plan, you need to select an equipment package from SimpliSafe. The company offers five preset equipment packages — the cheapest is the Foundation at $229, and the priciest is the Haven at $489. However, these prices are just the upfront equipment cost and do not include the monthly monitoring cost. Check out the equipment included with some of the most popular packages below:

Foundation package ($229)
      • 3 additional entry sensors
      • Panic button
      • Freeze sensor
      • Water sensor

You can buy added equipment from SimpliSafe. The equipment is affordable partly because the company sells original, proprietary accessories, which cuts out the middleman.

• Panic button: $19.99
      • Glass break sensor: $34.99
      • Motion sensor: $29.99
      • Entry sensor: $14.99
      • Video Doorbell Pro: $169
      • SimpliCam: $99
      • Smart lock: $99

Is SimpliSafe good?

SimpliSafe is a great home security system. We love that they have affordable monitoring choices and a wide array of plans as well as plenty of customization options. The quick and painless DIY installation means you won’t lose a day setting up your system. If you’re looking for a reliable security system that doesn’t break the bank, it’s hard to go wrong with SimpliSafe.

SimpliSafe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SimpliSafe?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

Bought a system and had it delivered, setup was easy enough and it worked for a little more than a day before the keypad and base unit failed. Spent hours and many phone calls to troubleshoot it and they agreed to send out a new unit. Same deal with the new unit, worked for several days and I had confidence it was resolved until it stopped working, yet failed to inform me it wasn't working. It was only after arming and coming back in and exiting without disarming that I realized the system wasn't alarming as it should. The final call was to SimpliSafe today to tell them to cancel the service that never worked, they refunded me $75 of my monitoring fees but I'm stuck with $300 with of SimpliSafe equipment that to be honest is SimpliGarbage. No refunds of equipment are available, seems like a bit of a scam. I would probably stay away from them and go with a more traditional, established alarm company in the future.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

I was very displeased to find out that unless you purchase their company monitoring, the customer has no control or access to the system they bought when you are outside of the home. I have a camera with my system and I cannot view when someone activates it from the phone app. I cannot even use the phone app if I am not paying for the monitoring. This makes it a complete RIPOFF. Sure, if you are home and set the alarm for HOME you'll hear if someone opens and enters your home. When AWAY an alarm will sound if someone enters the home and doesn't input the code, but you cannot get notified in your app because the exact same system doesn't broadcast to the app UNLESS YOU PAY FOR MONITORING. VERY DISSATISFIED.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

I was bombarded with emails every day - every single day - about buying SimpliSafe. So, we bought a package with 3 cameras which we did not realize were indoor only, a carbon monoxide detector, and front door alarm, all for about $500. Had my brother install it, since he loves tech stuff and gadgets, and the cameras are okay. If I am home, the app on my phone constantly goes off, alerting me that there is activity in the rooms where the cameras are set up. But when I left for vacation, out of 4 days, I got notified once of activity - I have 2 cats that set off the cameras frequently and my parents came over to check on them while we were gone, and the cameras picked up nothing. So for alerts, the cameras are useless, except to check in with them to see live video of your house I guess.

Second, my brother never could get the carbon monoxide detector to work properly, so that's been useless as well. The front door alarm we don't even activate, because even in "home" mode, it's pretty touchy and goes off. Lastly, I've contacted customer support about all of these issues, as well as an inquiry about what to do if a cable breaks off the camera if it can be replaced, and I have heard NOTHING from them. Amazing how they hounded me every day, and then after I purchased from them, they do not answer my questions, even though they always promise to get back to me within a couple days. I haven't had anyone check in with me since I bought the equipment more than 6 months ago, or in response to my questions using their own website. And I always check my spam folder before emptying it, so that's no excuse either. I am so disappointed and disgusted, and it was a waste of money.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

I have had SimpliSafe alarm system for years and love it, but I purchased the Door Bell last year and had nothing but problems with it. They have sent me 3 replacements, I had my internet provider here and they said NOT them after checking my system and I have been on the phone with the tech dept for hours and NOTHING they have done or said fixes this problem.

It will announce that there is motion at the front door but when I go to the app on my phone it won't open the front door to see, but always opens the camera in the house even when miles away, but I can beat on the app for the front door, then I will open the other camera then try to open the door bell camera but sometimes it will open after I open the in house camera 1st but most the time it never will open that camera anytime, but it always tells me there is motion at the front door??? All the Techs I have talked to on the phone (though all very nice) after hrs tell me they will call me back after they check things out for an answer, but they NEVER-NOT 1 of them have ever called me back so NOTHING EVER HAS GOTTEN FIXED for over a year??? BEWARE if you buy The Door Bell from them.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

The worst experience. My alarm went off early in the morning (their sensor fell off the window and triggered the alarm). They called me and as I was home and knew that there wasn’t a problem, told them not to send dispatch. An hour and a half later, the police showed up. I got a bill for $235 which I now have to pay. They refuse to accept any responsibility.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

Our family used $14.99 for few years and SimpliSafe has commercial on every place for this price now but increased few bucks without any notice recently! I called the bill department and said FL started to charge a fee for this, so added that on our bill. I asked this bill department person to send me the FL fee document to me and she hold me there. I need to work so I asked her to send that document to my email but nothing was send to my email after few weeks by far. They should take off the fake commercial of $14.99 if they tried to add fee or unclear fee on customers!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

I originally was very excited about SimpliSafe. My base station, keypad, sensors, and interior camera were working great originally. However, problems started once I installed a Video Doorbell. The first doorbell that I received was defective, but once I reached out to customer service they were great about getting me a replacement immediately. I installed the new doorbell camera, and the issues got worse. The camera is working great, but ever since installing the new camera my app and online account do not work properly.

I have spoken to 3 different customer service representatives verbally, all of which who had no clue what the issue was and gave false promises to get me off the phone. I also exchanged multiple emails with tech support, each response was given by a different person who wanted me to repeat the same troubleshooting process that I had already tried. At this point I am so disgusted with this company that I just want a full refund of all of my equipment so that I can go to their competitor. I have given SimpliSafe more than enough opportunities to make this right, but instead I just keep getting lied to with absolutely zero resolution or improvement. SimpliSafe needs to re-train their customer service agents and fix the issues with their products - this is absolutely unacceptable. I paid for a security system, yet I received the exact opposite of "security" and "peace of mind".

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

After 2 hours to install/4 LONG talks with the Customer Service Reps (one was over 93 minutes and nothing was resolved because the Rep did not know what she was doing) / being double/over charged.. I now have been disarmed (not me) AND Simpli wants me to call again! Lots of "lip" service. Don't waste your money!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

Seem to be having many issues since we were required by SimpliSafe to install the new card in the base station. My doorbell and interior camera drops several times and video playback from doorbell not available. Keeps saying no WiFi connection although all my other devices are connected with strong signal. Last 2 weeks camera keeps clicking. Base station is 10 feet from my router, indoor camera 15 feet from base station and doorbell 35 feet from base station.

The concerning issue most of all is customer support. I called last week to be put on hold 40 minutes before hanging up. I sent email to support with no response but I did get email asking me to review the support I received???. Today I called and actually spoke with rep who was not very familiar with system constantly putting Me on hold to get technical answers. After having me reset the doorbell 2X I was told if problem continues call back in a few days and they will send a new doorbell camera. They stated they are aware of known issues whatever that means. Not very confident in system. I work nights and family does not feel very secure.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

When I called them to notify them of the extra charges, they denied the charges. I insisted and they asked me to cancel them with my bank. My bank did cancel them only to charge again when the company refused to credit my money. After several calls to the company, they refused to talk to me. I send them my bank’s certified summary of the charges. To this date I have not received a call or a letter addressing this issue. I don’t have any complaints regarding their service in the 6-7 years I had it.

SimpliSafe author review by Ben Mannes

SimpliSafe’s monitored home security plans start at $14.99 a month. All systems require DIY installation and include a three-year warranty and 60-day money-back guarantee. SimpliSafe does not require a long-term contract.

• Security equipment: Home security packages start at $229 for a base station, wireless keypad, entry sensor and motion sensor. Upgrade to include a keychain remote, an extra motion sensor, three additional entry sensors, a siren, a panic button, a freeze sensor and a water sensor. Fire and environment sensors are also available.

• Security features: SimpliSafe’s free smartphone app lets you remotely arm or disarm your home security system from anywhere.

• Monitoring services: Choose a monitored or unmonitored system. Rates for monitoring start at $14.99 a month, and you can upgrade at any time. Without monitoring, your SimpliSafe system operates like a local alarm.

• Installation: Systems are designed to be self-installed in a matter of minutes. Because they’re wireless, you won’t need to drill holes or run wire through your house.

• Trial period: SimpliSafe has a 60-day money-back guarantee.

by Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

SimpliSafe Company Information