3.7/5 (354 ratings)

About SimpliSafe

SimpliSafe designs wireless home security systems that are easy to install with no drilling or tools. With a wide array of sensors and security cameras, SimpliSafe offers all-encompassing protection plus integrated apps that make system control possible from anywhere. It provides seamless 24/7 alarm monitoring without the long-term contracts and sky-high prices of traditional home security companies.

Find Home Alarm and Security Systems partners near you

Pros

• Affordable plans
    • Highly customizable packages
    • Simple DIY installation

Cons

• Upfront equipment costs

Bottom Line

SimpliSafe has one of the most affordable home security system plans on the market. You do have to pay for the equipment, but packages are highly customizable, and the DIY installation is easy.

Top SimpliSafe Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Verified

Our family has found SimpliSafe to be reliable, affordable and a plus was; it was a breeze to install! No high pressure sales pitches whatsoever... You pick and choose what you fe...

How does SimpliSafe work?

SimpliSafe is a home security company that offers DIY systems with low monitoring costs. The base monitoring plan is $14.99 a month, and the DIY setup is straightforward. All you have to do is place the base station near the center of your home, plug it in and adhere the peel-and-stick sensors to the wall. SimpliSafe offers month-to-month contracts, so you don’t have to commit to a long-term agreement.

SimpliSafe cost

With a base plan starting at just $14.99 a month — half the price of some of its competitors — SimpliSafe is one of the cheapest home security systems available. Additional equipment is extra and can cost anywhere from $230 to $490.

SimpliSafe plans

SimpliSafe has two monitoring options: professional and self-monitored. You can buy equipment without a professional monitoring plan if you want to keep an eye on things yourself. The professional monitoring plan comes with 24/7 monitoring, emergency dispatch, unlimited recording and weather monitoring. The self-monitoring plan offers unlimited video footage and alerts for any triggered sensors, though there’s no police or EMT dispatch with this option.

Self-monitoring planLimited Pro MonitoringProfessional monitoring plan
    24/7 monitoring
    Environmental monitoring
    Video alarm verification
    Video alarm verificationYes, up to five camerasYes, up to 10 cameras
    Self-monitoring planYes, up to five cameras
    Limited Pro Monitoring
    Professional monitoring planYes, up to 10 cameras

SimpliSafe equipment

Once you choose a monitoring plan, you need to select an equipment package from SimpliSafe. The company offers five preset equipment packages — the cheapest is the Foundation at $229, and the priciest is the Haven at $489. However, keep in mind that these prices are just the upfront equipment cost and do not include the monthly monitoring fees. Check out the equipment included with some of the most popular packages:

Foundation package ($229)
    • Everything in Knox package
    • Panic button
    • Freeze sensor
    • Water sensor

You can also add on equipment to your SimpliSafe package. The equipment is affordable partly because the company sells original, proprietary accessories, which cuts out the middleman.

• Panic button: $19.99
    • Indoor camera: $99
    • Smart lock: $99

SimpliSafe FAQ

Who monitors SimpliSafe?
    It depends. If you choose a professionally monitored plan, its monitoring team offers 24/7 protection services. There’s also a DIY monitoring option, which lets customers self-monitor their devices without professional support.
    Is SimpliSafe wireless?
    Yes. SimpliSafe’s products work over wireless or cellular connection, meaning they don’t require a landline for operation. If you choose the Wi-Fi or wireless option, you’ll likely have more backup and connectivity than with cellular, although both are options.
    Can SimpliSafe be hacked?
    Yes, and it has happened in the past. Because it works over a cellular or wireless connection, it can be susceptible to hacking. The company has recently added encryption code that should help prevent this from happening in the future.
    Where do I buy SimpliSafe?
    It’s typical to buy these packages and products from the SimpliSafe website, Sam’s Club, Costco, Best Buy and Amazon, but they’re also available in various other locations, including Lowe’s and Walmart.
    Do I need a phone line for SimpliSafe?
    Nope. You can use Wi-Fi or connect to its cellular base station, depending on your preference and what your home’s set up for. Wi-Fi is the best option for consistent connectivity, but it might not be available for everyone.
    Does a SimpliSafe camera need Wi-Fi?
    No, but it might be better for connectivity. You can use the base station to connect over cellular data if you prefer.
    Can I use SimpliSafe without monitoring?
    Yes, SimpliSafe offers a self-monitoring plan.
    Does SimpliSafe have a doorbell camera?
    Yes. The SimpliSafe doorbell camera offers wide-angle HDR video. It costs $169 to add it to a package or to purchase by itself.

Is SimpliSafe good?

SimpliSafe is a solid option for an affordable home security system. We love that it has a self-monitoring and a professional monitoring option, a wide array of plans and plenty of customization options. The quick and painless DIY installation means you won’t lose a whole day setting up your system, too. If you’re looking for a reliable security system that doesn’t break the bank, SimpliSafe is definitely one to consider.

SimpliSafe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SimpliSafe?

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

We purchased our 1st Simplisafe system while living in IL ten years ago. We owned a large home so our system cost about $500 upfront. We had been using Vivant @ $149 a month. It paid for it self in less than a year. Monitoring is all of $15 a month. About 7 years ago we moved to TN. We left the system there and used it as a selling point.

We bought a 2nd system here for about $400 because we live in a smaller home. Everything has worked great. Last year upgraded to the new system. We needed a 2nd key fob so we called and granted they said there was a waiting time of approx. 40 min. But there is an option for them to call you back. We live out in the sticks and did have a break-in but the siren went off and scared the crap out of the burglar and they took off. We still have monitoring ($15 a month) so the Sheriff was here within 10 min. We will never buy anything else.

Original review: May 15, 2021

SimpliSafe is an easy to setup home security option. We've always had great interactions with their customer service and the system works flawlessly. The system is easily customizable both in actual devices as well as settings for those devices. The ability to set additional passwords for relatives or neighbors is very handy. The smartphone app is great for keeping track of your systems status as well as being able to arm/disarm and change settings on the fly.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 1, 2021

Simpli Safe is simple to install and easy to use. We have installed the system in my daughter's college apartment and moved it each year when she has changed apartments. I would recommend Simpli Safe especially if you are someone who is renting and moves often. It also saves having an alarm company come out and install a system or try to update a system that is already in place because you have the ability to install it yourself.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

I bought a whole Simplisafe system with multiple sensor and alarms about three years ago. I've had my house monitored for $15 a month and the service was great. $15 monitoring is half the cost of all the other alarm monitoring services cost. Recently, Simplisafe contacted me and offered a free upgrade to their newest alarm system. They shipped me all of the newest components of my system and asked me to ship them my old system. So, after I installed the new system, I shipped them my old system. I am very happy with Simplisafe. I would highly recommend.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

The system is very easy to install and gives you total and complete control of every aspect of the alarm system. For example, when the alarm is set on you can allow 30 or 45 seconds to put in the code for a door opening but have it go off instantly for a window or door that you don't normally use. You can have motion sensors active to alert you even when the alarm is off to be notified if someone enters your bedroom while you are away. It is all controlled with a smart phone and can be armed/disarmed remotely and cameras viewed as well. It is a very good system and the cost is very low with NO long term contracts. The ONLY setback is that you need to buy all the equipment upfront and it can cost between $300 and $500 depending on what all you desire.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

The alarm system is very user-friendly. The monitoring is very effective, staff is very professional and responsive. Overall, using the in home equipment is quite easy and verbal notifications are flawless. System notifies when battery changes are needed. Highly recommended home alarm system!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I am from Canada so had to find a friend in the States who would let me charge the system to her card and have it delivered to her, and then she would get it to me because SimpliSafe doesn't ship to Canada, nor does it accept cards outside of the USA. All good? No. I bought the system, paid with her card, received the invoice by email. Four days later Simplisafe sent me an email with an invoice for $118 more. I called. A supervisor was supposed to call me back. They didn't. I called again. The agent refund the $118 and apologized. 8 days later, they again billed me $118, and they couldn't explain why. Even though I hadn't authorized these 2 charges. I cancelled the order, had to explain to my friend that she would have 6 charges and credits on her card, and to be sure that they were there and accounted for.

The supervisor I finally spoke with after an hour, told me she thought it was a glitch in the system (!!) and couldn't explain why. Incompetence, rudeness, and complete lack of customer dissatisfaction. I would not trust a security company that was making charges on my card without my permission. Check your statements everyone!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Easy to set up, very reliable even in rural areas. Battery backup, internet out, no problem, you're still connected by your cell network. Easy to manage as well. I have had the police in my driveway 2 minutes after accidentally entering the wrong code. I have been notified at work as well when there was an alert. This is a system I highly recommend using SimpliSafe.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

I started using Simplisafe when my sister noticed a "peeping tom." It was easy to set up and worked well at first. I moved it to my new house that same year. 5 months ago our camera lost connection. They sent me a new one and that wouldn't connect. The same thing happened with my 2 keypads, smart lock, and base station. Nothing works. No one can get my system to connect.

I have spend $1322.94 on the most useless security system. What's most concerning is that my smoke detectors and CO monitors are Simplisafe brand and without a working base I have no monitoring functionality. It's useless. I have spend hours on the phone on multiple occasions. The employees are very nice but no one can get to the root of the problem and they won't give me a refund. I hate that I spent this much money and I can't even feel that my home is safe. I do not recommend Simplisafe products or monitoring.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

I've been a SimpliSafe customer for roughly a year, and customer support has fallen through the floor. I have a malfunctioning system and have spent more than 3 hours over the course of a day on hold waiting to speak with someone. It doesn't matter how good the product is if no one is able to support you when there's an issue.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Home Security partner.

SimpliSafe Company Information