The debt consolidation industry offers solutions to combine multiple debts, such as credit card bills, home loans, or other loans into one monthly payment. This debt management solution may be helpful for consumers with many outstanding debts, especially if they have debts with high interest rates.
Debt consolidation helps consumers develop a workable budget, pay off debt and save money for retirement by combining all debts into one easy-to-manage monthly payment. Debt counselors offer a variety of services in local offices, online or over the phone to help with a debt consolidation plan.
Need Help Consolidating Your Debt?
We'll match you with the debt consolidation company that knows exactly what you need.
Top 15 Most Reviewed Debt Consolidation Companies
Freedom Debt Relief is a credit advocacy company founded in 2002 by Stanford Business School graduates that now employs over 800 people. They work with over 80,000 customers, and have two main offices in San Mateo and Phoenix.
|Read 1835 Reviews|
Cambridge Credit Counseling is a 501©(3) non-profit credit and housing counseling agency that was founded in 1996. They provide credit counseling and financial literacy education to consumers across the country.
|Read 1451 Reviews|
National Debt Relief offers debt reduction, financial consultations, credit counseling and education. National Debt Relief is one of the largest debt settlement companies in the United States.
|Read 733 Reviews|
Consolidated Credit is a credit counseling firm that has been in business for over 20 years. They have helped over 5 million people get out of debt, and offer free debt and budget analysis to potential customers.
|Read 650 Reviews|
Lexington Law Firm has more than 24 years of experience helping consumers repair bad credit. Their credit repair services are available in all states, and they also provide of-counsel attorneys for clients in certain states.
|Read 648 Reviews|
CountryWide Debt Relief has over 30 years of combined experience helping consumers find a solution to getting out of debt. Debt consolidation and debt relief services are offered whether consumers have good credit or bad credit.
|Read 299 Reviews|
GreenPath is a non-profit, credit counseling organization that has been helping customers get out of debt since 1961. They offer free debt counseling, and specialize in helping people eliminate credit card debt.
|Read 272 Reviews|
Ovation Credit has helped thousands of consumers repair their credit reports! Credit scores affect every aspect of your financial life, and Ovation makes credit repair fast and effective. They stand up for the CREDIT YOU DESERVE!
|Read 237 Reviews|
Partnered with the United Consumer Advocacy Network, Century offers custom plans to fit clients' budgets & resolve debt in a short period of time. Their online portal also allows customers better engagement with their program.
|Read 93 Reviews|
Pacific Debt has settled millions of dollars in consumer debt each year since founding the company in 2002. Pacific Debt is now a leader in the debt settlement field as they address the rising trend of consumerism in America.
|Read 93 Reviews|
Elite Financial Services is a debt settlement company. They have helped thousands of individuals begin living debt free. They offer professional help and are available to answer important questions.
|Read 24 Reviews|
Based in Camarillo, CA, New Era Debt Solutions, has been servicing its clients for over 15 years. Our reputation of truth and transparency sets us apart with our clients and puts us ahead in our industry.
|Read 13 Reviews|
Family Credit Management is a non-profit credit counseling agency that has been in business since 1999. They have worked with over 100,000 people on their debt burdens and offer their services across the country.
|Read 302 Reviews|
Credit Solutions are a credit repair company that has been in business since 2003. They are based in Texas, and work with clients on improving their credit in Texas, Florida, Arizona, California, New York and other states.
|Read 164 Reviews|
Midland Credit Management helps consumers resolve overdue financial obligations and improve their overall financial health. They are headquartered in San Diego, but work with clients all over the country.
|Read 155 Reviews|
What features should you look for in debt consolidation companies?
Do they offer credit counseling?
Before consolidating debt, the consumer should find a reputable credit counseling organization for advice on money management and debt. Some debt consolidation companies offer credit counseling services in-house. When choosing a credit counselor, there are numerous features to consider.
- Services and seminars: Aside from one-on-one consultation, credit counseling services often offer classes and seminars about building credit.
- Qualifications: Review the qualifications of certifications of the counselors and the agency to make sure they have the right credentials. Also, see if any substantial complaints are leveled against the counseling service.
- Security: Most credit counseling companies have access to a lot of information, and you’ll want to make sure yours is secure. Review a counseling company’s security policy before giving them your information.
- Fees: Getting a clear picture of any upfront or hidden fees is one way to make sure the credit counseling service is right for you. Do not sign any contract without reading it first. The counseling service should put any verbal promises regarding price in writing.
- Planning: Credit counseling can help solve current problems, but having a good plan can help you in your financial future. Look for a credit counseling service that also helps avoid future debt problems by helping you come up with a financial plan.
Does the company help with a savings plan?
In addition to helping you with your debt, many companies offer information and assistance with setting up a savings plan. Find out if your debt counselor can help you create a savings plan to stay out of debt in the future, and make sure to review important information before agreeing to a savings plan.
- Review contract: If you want a savings plan as part of your service, make sure it appears in your contract. That way, you can have the terms set in writing.
- Client success: It’s always a good idea to look for reviews and success stories before setting up a savings plan. A company with a track record of success means you will work with a more experienced agency.
- Extra service fees: Even if a savings plan is not part of your service deal, some companies offer assistance in setting up a savings plan at an additional cost.
- Savings resources: Debt assistance agencies sometimes have robust educational resources that include classes, videos, podcasts, blogs and e-books. Many agencies offer these savings aids for free on their websites.
What qualities should you look for in a debt management service?
If you're in the market for debt consolidation, you may also want to look into debt management as well. Debt management includes learning how to pay off existing debt and stay out of debt in the future. There are a wide variety of debt management programs. Make certain when signing up for a debt management program that you understand the details, especially regarding customer support.
- Company history: Investigate the company’s history. Find out how long the company has been in operation and how many customers they have successfully helped in the past. Look for firms that are accredited and licensed.
- Specialized help: Consider choosing a company that specializes in your particular situation. Some companies are better at working with customers with excess credit card debt, while others focus on personal or student loan debt.
- Customer support: You will likely want to work with a debt management company with accessible experts. Look for providers with extensive phone hours or online support in case you need to contact someone. You can also find companies that offer continued support with savings or management plans after your debt is consolidated.
How do I pay for debt consolidation services?
Debt assistance agencies offer their services at many different price points. For your debt consolidation and other debt concerns make sure you understand the pricing structure in advance and have all cost information in writing to find a payment plan that fits your needs.
- Flat fees and package deals: Some debt companies charge a flat fee for their services. These services are often available in tiered packages, charging a flat rate for each collection of services.
- Custom price: Some debt consolidation companies will work with you to create a unique.
- Payment plans: Some debt consolidation companies offer payment plans instead of upfront payment. This method of payment may be the best option if you cannot pay for services directly out of pocket.
How do I know my information is secure?
When dealing with sensitive financial information, it's important to choose a debt consolidation company that will protect your information and keep your data private. Make sure you ask about a company’s information security before giving them your information.
- Encryption: Ask how the company communicates safely with its clients. You don’t need to know the specifics about a company’s encryption methods, but you will want to make sure your credit information is encrypted.
- Licensing: A debt management company must pass several background checks, provide proof of accreditation and endure a lengthy application process before becoming licensed. Make sure your chosen debt consolidation company has gone through the proper channels to become licensed before you give them your information.
What qualifications should a debt counselor have?
Debt counselors who work for the debt consolidation firms should be qualified to practice in your state. It is a good idea, then, to review not only the accreditation of a company but also an individual counselor’s qualifications to make sure you’re getting professional service.
- Certification: Your debt counselor should be certified by a reputable organization and the appropriate authorities like the National Association of Certified Credit Counselors (NACCC) or the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC).
- Education background: It’s fairly common to inquire about your counselor’s education background. Some companies also require that their counselors continue their education with seminars or in-house training.
- Employee compensation: Sometimes, counselors earn more money by selling additional services. This compensation model can lead some counselors to push services on clients that they may not need. Salaried employees will be more likely to have the consumer’s best interests in mind.
What types of debt consolidation counseling services are there?
Credit counseling is the most common form of debt counseling. Most credit counseling plans are designed to teach consumers basic principles of debt reduction and how to avoid future debt and credit problems.
Housing counselors help with mortgage debt and can also advise renters, people interested in buying a new home and seniors who want to take advantage of reverse mortgages. Housing counseling coupled with debt consolidation service can help people avoid foreclosure on their homes or people who want to take advantage of different government programs.
Federal law stipulates anyone considering filing for bankruptcy must seek counseling before filing. They are also required to complete an education course before filing. Sometimes, debt consolidation can help clients avoid bankruptcy.
Student loan counseling
Student loans are difficult to repay. Some debt consolidation offer counseling services that help with student loan debt in particular. The counselor will help the student evaluate and understand her repayment and assistance options.
Who can benefit from debt consolidation?
The most common clients for debt consolidation are consumers who have built up debt through overspending. Credit card or vehicle debt can compound if it goes unchecked. Debt consolidation can help unify these charges into one manageable monthly payment.
College and advanced degrees are expensive investments, often saddling students with an exorbitant amount of debt. Debt consolidation can help former students pay back their student loans and lower interest.
People who are unemployed may accrue more debt than they can pay back immediately. They may benefit from debt consolidation and counseling to help them repay their debt with manageable payments.
Small business owners
Starting a small business requires a lot of capital and may involve going into debt to cover start-up costs. Small business owners can benefit from debt counseling and possibly debt consolidation to make sure they stay on top of their payments while funneling money into their new business.
Sometimes the cost of living and lack of proper financial education can lead consumers to take on more debt than they can repay in a reasonable amount of time. Unexpected expenses or job loss can also lead to excess debt. Consumers with too much debt from multiple sources can benefit from debt consolidation.
Cambridge Credit Counseling was established in 1996 and works to provide credit counseling, debt management programs and financial literacy education across America. It is a non-profit company and specializes in credit, housing, reverse mortgage and bankruptcy counseling and debt reduction services.
- Free credit counseling: Non-profit Cambridge Credit Counseling offers free credit counseling by nationally certified debt experts to consumers who need to find ways to get out of debt.
- Services: The counselors analyze the client’s financial situation and help with saving and debt reduction plans. They offer a variety of debt related services including credit card, housing, reverse mortgage, foreclosure, bankruptcy and financial education.
- Expertise: Cambridge Credit Counseling counselors have, on average, 13 years of experience and hold national certifications through the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education, the Partnership for Financial Education, NeighborWorks and the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- Credentials: Cambridge Credit Counseling is a 501(c)(3) non-profit credit and housing counseling agency. Cambridge is an ISO 9001:2008 FCAA Code of Practice compliant debt counseling agency.
- Best for Those with excessive credit card debt, mortgage debt, student loan debt and individuals in need of credit counseling.
Freedom Debt Relief is a credit advocacy and debt resolution company that has resolved over $4 billion in debt for their clients. They have over 900 highly-trained professionals at their company. Their individualized approach first reviews every customer’s personal situation to determine whether they are the best fit for the company. If the company can’t help the consumer, they refer them to a more suitable agency.
- No fees upfront: Freedom Debt Relief doesn't charge any fees until after they have resolved a debt for you.
- Training: Employees receive in-depth training and frequent quality assurance monitoring.
- Customer support: They have friendly customer support specialists available online 24/7 and an online consumer portal to help clients stay informed and in control.
- Certifications: The company is a Platinum Member of the International Association of Professional Debt Arbitrators (IAPDA), a Charter Member of the American Fair Credit Council and accredited by BSI Management Systems.
- Services: Freedom Debt Relief offers options for debt management such as debt settlement, credit counseling, debt consolidation and additional methods of financial assistance.
- Bankruptcy: Freedom Debt Relief can help consumers work through their bankruptcy plans and options as well as manage their debts.
- Best for Consumers worried about bankruptcy, over-spenders, individuals with excessive credit card debt and more.
Lexington Law was founded in 1991 and helps consumers understand their rights regarding credit reports and credit repair. They have over 20 years of experience helping consumers repair bad credit. Their services include education and credit repair.
- Fees: Lexington Law doesn't ask for any payment upfront. Consumers pay only after services are rendered.
- Secure: They offer legal services in a private and professional manner and protect your personal information.
- Services: Lexington Law provides a wide range of services including assistance removing negative items from the clients’ credit reports, consumer rights, bankruptcy, divorce, child custody and general litigation services.
- Pricing Plans: Tiered and transparent pricing structure. The company offers several affordable monthly plans based on the consumer’s credit repair needs.
- Best for Average consumers and small business owners with negative items on their credit.
Consolidated Credit has been in business for over 20 years and has helped over 5 million people with their credit card debt. The company offers a wide range of debt assistance programs including debt management, credit improvement, avoiding foreclosure and bankruptcy plans. Consolidated Credit also offers a strong counseling and financial education component.
- Accredited: They are an ISO 9001:2000 Registered Organization.
- Certified professionals: The majority of their counselors and staff are certified financial counselors (CFC). They are required to renew their certifications every 3 years as well as undertake additional training.
- Services: They offer an extensive list of services and resources to help consumers deal with their debt. A few of their offerings under the debt solutions category include debt management, debt consolidation, counseling, consumer credit rights information and helpful calculators. Their financial advice offerings are extensive with a library of information, webinars and individual counseling. Financial advice topics include budgeting, credit report, credit score, student loan and more.
- Free assistance: Consolidated Credit offers a host of free calculators, including credit card debt repayment, credit score loan cost, debt-to-income, debt restructuring, saving and more. Their online educational resources are easily accessible from their website.
- Customized programs: The company offers customized programs to help tailor debt relief solutions to the client’s personal needs.
- Support: The company’s online chat support populates with the first visit to the site. Consolidated Credit offers easy access to company services through their phone support. There is a walk-in branch in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
- Best for Average consumers with debt and credit issues, homeowners facing foreclosure, along with small business owners and those seeking extensive financial education resources.
Established in 1961 as Michigan Credit Union League, GreenPath debt solutions has grown into a large financial services organization. The company has offices across the country and helps more than 200,000 people annually.
- Recognition and certification: GreenPath was one of the first agencies approved by the U.S. Department of Justice to provide bankruptcy counseling and education services. GreenPath’s accreditations include the Counsel on Accreditation (COA), National Foundation for Credit counseling (NFCC) and The Association of Independent Consumer Credit Counseling Agencies (AICCCA).
- Free counseling: The company offers free credit and debt counseling along with financial education. Their other services offer low and transparent fees.
- In-person help: GreenPath has 50 branch offices and can help consumers in all 50 states.
- Services: GreenPath’s services span the debt and credit landscape including help with credit counseling, debt management, housing issues, student loan debt, credit report problems, reverse mortgages and bankruptcy. Their extensive GreenPath University provides financial education and includes financial calculators, eLearning, videos and webinars.
- Credit report support: They have specialists to help clients review their credit report and improve their credit score.
- Bankruptcy: The company is approved by the U.S. Department of Justice to provide bankruptcy counseling needed to file Chapters 7 or 13.
- Best for Individuals with credit or debt problems seeking individual branches in addition to online help, those with too much credit card debt, those with student loan debt, those with credit report problems and those seeking bankruptcy help.
CountryWide Debt Relief is a 30-year-old debt settlement company that educates its clients about options to avoid bankruptcy. The firm is a proactive company that negotiates with debtors, coordinates repayment and teaches clients about improving their credit scores.
- Services: Debt settlement, debt consolidation, consumer credit counseling and bankruptcy guidance.
- Debt settlement: CountryWide Debt Relief negotiates with debtors to help lower the total repayment of clients' credit card(s) and unsecured debts.
- Debt consolidation: By consolidating debt into a single, low-interest loan, CountryWide Debt Relief helps clients lower their monthly debt payments.
- Bankruptcy advice: CountryWide Debt Relief helps clients explore debt repayment strategies so they may avoid bankruptcy, which can have long-lasting effects on credit.
- Debtor communication: Since many people find it stressful to negotiate with their debtors, CountryWide Debt Relief handles all communications with banks, credit card companies and other institutions seeking repayment.
- Fees: CountryWide Debt Relief charges a flat, 18 percent fee. The fee is not charged if a debt is not settled. Additionally, CountryWide doesn’t charge a fee unless the consumer can save at least 20 percent of the total debts that are enrolled in their Debt Relief program. All fees are transparent.
- Best for Consumers facing financial hardship, individuals who are late paying debts, those who lack the possibility of paying their debts in the future and those facing a bankruptcy.
Elite Financial Services is a debt settlement company that can help consumers eliminate debt in as little as 12 months. They only charge consumers a fee once they have successfully settled their debts, which can ease the financial burden of debt settlement.
- Educational programs: Elite’s website has three educational programs that are available as free resources for anyone, including people who are not clients. These programs are designed to educate consumers about debt and money management.
- No pre-payment penalties: Elite won’t charge you a penalty for getting out of debt sooner than expected, so you can pay more than your regularly scheduled payment amount once, a few times or every time to get out of debt faster without consequences.
- Free consultation: Fill out a short form on Elite’s website to schedule a free consultation. A debt settlement professional will talk to you about your debt and your options, and you can decide at that point whether or not you want to continue with Elite’s debt settlement program.
- No upfront fees: You won’t pay any fees to Elite until they are able to settle your debt. Once they settle one of your enrolled accounts, you will pay only the fees associated with that account. Your fees are all included in the monthly program deposit amounts that are set up by Elite, so you won’t be surprised by an unexpected fee down the road.
- Choose the length of your program: No two debt situations are the same, which is why Elite doesn’t impose a specific length of time on their program. You will work with your debt settlement advisor to determine a length of time that allows for payments you are comfortable with. You can always pay more than your agreed upon amount without penalty.
- Best for Elite Financial Services is best for average consumers.
Founded in 2002, Pacific Debt Inc. was created to address the rise of consumer debt in the United States. Since its founding, Pacific Debt has become one of the leaders in debt settlement by offering counseling and solutions that put the customer first.
- Free educational resources: Pacific Debt has several free educational resources posted online with subjects like basic budgeting tips, money management advice for newlyweds, insurance purchasing guides and more.
- Client Care: Pacific Debt has a small team of dedicated Client Care professionals to help consumers gather the right documents, manage creditor calls and anything else they need.
- Personal Account Manager: When clients start settling their debts, Pacific Debt assigns them Personal Account Managers. These managers give each consumer personal attention and work closely with consumers to keep them up to date on their progress or any upcoming negotiations.
- Blog: Pacific Debt hosts a blog to keep consumers up to date with articles about debt and financial management.
- Free consultation: Consumers can get a free consultation with a debt specialist to see if Pacific Debt’s services are right for them.
- Best for Pacific Debt is best for consumers who are looking for debt solutions from a company that focuses on customer service.
National Debt Relief helps consumers find relief from burdensome debt with their debt settlement services. They offer alternatives to bankruptcy along with educational resources for people who are considering filing for bankruptcy.
- No upfront cost: There are no upfront fees to use National Debt Relief’s services, and you only pay them when they succeed in reducing your debt. Fees range depending on where you live and will be anywhere from 20-25 percent of the total debt paid.
- Free budget planner worksheets: Start managing your budget by downloading a free budget planner worksheet from National Debt Relief’s website. This tool will help you figure out if you will have a surplus or deficit at the end of the month based on your monthly income and monthly expenses.
- Learn how where you live influences your debt: Credit laws and living costs can impact the amount of debt you rack up, which means some states have more consumers in debt than others. Find out how your state compares on National Debt Relief’s website, along with what you can do to manage your debt, even if you live in a state that isn’t yet served by National Debt Relief.
- Qualify for debt relief in seconds: Simply fill out a short form on National Debt Relief’s website to see if you qualify for debt relief. You will be contacted by a representative who can help you figure out your next move.
- Low rate of return customers: Unlike retailers or other companies, National Debt Relief does not want to see repeat customers. Repeat business means they did not succeed in setting their clients up for financial success through debt management and education. Over 99.9 percent of their clients walk away and never return, which is a statistic National Debt Relief plans to maintain.
- Best for National Debt Relief is best for average consumers and overspenders.
Century Support Services is a debt settlement company that was founded in 2012 with headquarters in Pennsylvania. The help consumers reduce their debt by negotiating with companies to forgive a significant amount of unsecured debt.
- AFCC Accredited: Century Support is an accredited member of the American Fair Credit Council (AFCC), an agency dedicated to advocating for consumer-centric legislation related to debt relief. Accredited members undergo a yearly audit to ensure that their practices meet AFCC’s standards.
- No upfront fee: Consumers who use Century Support will not have to pay any upfront fees. They will only pay fees on debt that settled, and those with multiple accounts will pay fee on individual accounts instead of all at once.
- Newsletter: Century Support clients receive a free monthly newsletter that includes informational articles and tips for managing money. This information can help prevent clients from accruing additional debt.
- Client surveys: Century Support frequently surveys their clients and uses the survey results to improve their services. Interested consumers can read client testimonials on the company’s website.
- Clear communication: Clients can log in to their MyCentury account to access important paperwork, authorize settlement terms, view their overall enrolled debt status and contact company representatives.
- Best for Those with unsecured debt who want to quickly reduce the amount they owe.
New Era Debt Solutions has been offering people debt relief options for over 15 years. It provides debt settlement programs for multiple types of unsecured debt including, credit cards, personal lines of credit, repossessions, judgments and private student loans.
- Company benefits: New Era offers its clients multiple benefits to ensure that it remains transparent and provides fair services. None of its debt settlement programs have upfront fees or add-on fees. New Era handles each program from beginning to end and will not pass anyone off to another company.
- Multiple debt types: New Era offers debt relief solutions for multiple types of debt. People can qualify for relief programs for debts involving credit cards, department store cards, signature loans, personal lines of credit, repossessions, judgments and private student loans.
- Credit counseling: New Era provides a credit counseling debt relief program as one option of settling debt. Credit counseling allows people to make a single monthly payment to a credit counseling agency. That agency pays the client's creditors at lower interest rates, allowing the client to pay off the debt faster.
- Debt negotiation: Debt negotiation is another option that New Era provides its clients. If a client chooses this option, New Era will help negotiate the principal balance owed to make it more affordable. This is a popular, less expensive option of debt settlement.
- Debt consolidation: For clients looking to start a debt consolidation program, New Era can guide them through the process. By helping clients take out a larger, low-interest loan, that money can be used to pay off higher-interest unsecured loans.
- Best for clients looking for a transparent debt consolidation company.
Consolidated Credit Counseling Services of Canada, Inc. is a nonprofit credit counseling organization that helps Canadians eliminate their debt responsibly. Their educational resources guide consumers to handle their current debt and learn money management skills that can prevent debt in the future.
- Best for Consolidated Credit Counseling Services of Canada, Inc. is best for Canadian individuals, families and businesses.
Non-profit Family Credit Management, a credit counseling agency has been in business for more than 20 years. The company has helped over 100,000 people get out of debt.
- Best for Average consumers and small business owners with past due credit cards, student loans and other debt.
Clearpoint Credit Counseling is a non-profit, education-focused credit counseling firm committed to teaching consumer’s better money management skills. The 50-year-old firm offers budget, debt and housing advice. The company is headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia and has more than 40 branches nation-wide.
- Best for Individuals looking for counseling and educational resources, consumers with excessive debt and those concerned about foreclosure or bankruptcy.
Money Management International, founded in 1958, is the largest non-profit, full service credit counseling agency in the U.S. Their services include professional financial guidance, credit, bankruptcy and housing counseling, as well as education and debt management services.
- Best for Consumers with financial problems including over-spenders, students, home-owners, the unemployed and those dedicated to improving their financial situation through counseling.
Debt Counseling Corp. is a non-profit debt consolidation company with a program to help consumers manage their excessive debt. The company has certified credit counselors and has been in business for over 15 years.
- Action plan: The firm offers a well laid-out action plan tailored to the consumer’s specific needs. Their debt management strategy states they may be able to lower consumers’ interest rates and monthly payments.
- Accreditation and license: Debt Counseling Corp. is a licensed 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organization and is accredited by BSI for ISO 9001:2008. The company is also licensed by the New York State Department of Financial Services.
- Fees and payments: Debt Counseling Corp. charges a combined monthly fee that includes a service charge and a debt repayment amount payable to the company, who then pays the consumer’s creditors.
- Free debt analysis: The company provides free debt analysis for clients prior to requesting payment. Once enrolled, program participants are eligible for continuing free debt counseling.
- Education: Debt Counseling Corp. offers a resources library, online newsletter and free in-person seminars for those consumers that live near their Islandia, New York office.
- Best for Average consumers with excessive credit card debt and those living paycheck to paycheck.
InCharge is a 501 (d) (3) non-profit organization offering free and impartial debt relief solutions to consumers struggling with debt. In business since 1997, InCharge’s Certified financial counselors have helped 1.2 million people with credit card debt as well as people facing bankruptcy and foreclosure.
- Best for Consumers with financial problems including over-spenders, students, home-owners and the unemployed.
Square One Resolutions is a niche player in the debt management field. The firm gathers the client’s student loan information and additional details and works with attorneys and lenders to resolve the underlying debt. They have a variety of programs designed for the individual’s specific situation.
- Best for Former students of private institutions of higher education with excessive student loan debt.
Superior Debt Relief Services, operating since 1998, is a debt settlement and consolidation company committed to helping clients become debt free. The company attempts to negotiate the consumer’s debt to lower the total amount due. The firm uses ethical approaches to reduce debt for qualifying clients.
- Best for Those with excessive debt loads and consumers looking to have their debt interest payments lowered.
7 Steps to 720 is an education and information company devoted to helping individuals reach their highest possible credit scores. The company provides several tools that make it possible for individuals to reach credit scores of 720, even if they’ve had financial problems in the past. The company’s ultimate goal is to help consumers raise their credit score in order to lower interest payments and the total amount of interest paid on debt.
- Information topics: The firm has a wealth of information and referrals across a broad spectrum of money-management and debt related topics, including credit scores, credit reports, credit cards, bankruptcy and FICO.
- Additional services: Information and referrals to appropriate attorneys and other credit-related services.
- Credit scores: 7 Steps to 720 provides straightforward answers to some of the most common questions people have about how credit scores are determined, what credit scores mean and why they are important.
- Credit reports: Members have access to tutorials that explain how to read credit reports and fix errors that may harm credit scores.
- Step-by-step lessons: Online video lessons from 7 Steps to 720 provide step-by-step instructions to help members understand credit rating systems and how consumers can improve their credit scores within just a couple of years.
- Action guides: 7 Steps to 720 provides information about credit scores as well as accessible action guides so that members may start improving their scores as quickly as possible.
- User forum: 7 Steps to 720 provides a user forum where members can discuss lessons from the website and share additional tips for improving credit scores.
- Fee: The one-time fee includes step-by-step lessons, action guides and a user forum on a secure portal.
- Best for Those looking for specific tactics to improve their credit score and to learn how to manage debt.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.
16 – 39 Most Reviewed Debt Consolidation Companies
LowerMyBills.com is a free online service that lets consumers compare rates on monthly bills to reduce the cost of living. They work with over 500 service providers on services such as home loans, credit cards, and insurance.
|Read 94 Reviews|
Care One Credit is a debt relief service that has helped over 5 million people improve their financial standing. They were founded over 20 years ago, and offer customers a six-month money back guarantee on their services.
|Read 60 Reviews|
|Read 59 Reviews|
Consolidated Credit Counseling Services of Canada is a non-profit credit counseling organization that's helped Canadians remedy their debt problems since 2005. They provide free educational resources and debt analysis tools.
|Read 55 Reviews|
Meredian Financial Corporation helps consumers consolidate their debt into one low monthly payment. Consumers can enhance their money management skills with Meredian’s online educational resources.
|Read 24 Reviews|
The Debt Relief Network is a debt relief services company that has been helping debtors since 2001. They help with services such as student loan consolidation, tax debt relief, bankruptcy help and more.
|Read 22 Reviews|
Home Savers USA is a foreclosure mediation and consulting firm based in Dallas, Texas. They can help with partial claims, forbearances, legal assistance, and modifications, and are licensed by the Texas Insurance Commission.
|Read 18 Reviews|
Debt Settlement of America is a national debt settlement company that specializes in helping individuals with financial hardships. They can negotiate lower settlements for clients who are having a hard time paying off bills.
|Read 16 Reviews|
Clear Debt Solution is a debt relief services company. Though it continues to offer support to pre-existing clients, the company is no longer accepting any new business.
|Read 10 Reviews|
Century Negotiations Inc. is a debt relief agency that specializes in debt settlement and negotiation services. They were founded in Pennsylvania in 1999, and have worked with thousands of clients on their debt relief.
|Read 9 Reviews|
Preferred Financial Services is a debt settlement company that helps consumers reduce credit card debt by negotiating with creditors. They are based in Andover, MA but work with thousands of clients across the country.
|Read 7 Reviews|
American Consumer Credit Counseling is a nonprofit credit counseling agency that helps consumers bring down their debt. They have been in business since 1991, and offer credit counseling to clients with free debt consultation.
|Read 7 Reviews|
Global Client Solutions is a service provider to consumers and their debt settlement companies that was founded in 2003 in Tulsa, Oklahoma. They specialize in providing disbursement accounts that help consumers save money.
|Read 6 Reviews|
CuraDebt was founded in 2000 and helps individuals and small businesses manage and reduce their unsecured debt. They can help with several types of debt, including credit cards, personal loans, medical bill, back taxes and more.
|Read 5 Reviews|
First Financial Group is a financial services organization that focuses on helping retired individuals. They are headquartered in Clearwater, FL and specialize in protecting current assets, investment goals and tax reduction.
Consumer Debt Solutions was founded in June of 2000 in Doral, Florida and is a debt solutions directory and information resource. They compile information for consumers about a variety of debt and credit related services.
Clearpoint Credit Counseling Solutions has been providing customers with budget, debt and housing advice for over 50 years. They are headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia and have more than 50 branches around the country.
Geared toward recent grads who need to restructure student loan debt, Square One Resolutions offers basic private loan protection. Consultants work with clients to tailor solutions to their specific circumstances and needs.
Money Management International is the largest non-profit full service credit counseling agency in the U.S. They were founded in 1958, and are a member of the National Foundation for Credit Counseling.
InCharge Debt Solutions is an organization that provides free and impartial debt relief solutions to consumers that are struggling with debt. They are based in Orlando, FL and have helped over a million people get out of debt.
Debt Counseling Corporation is a licensed 501©(3) nonprofit organization that has been in business for over 15 years. They provide free debt analysis, debt management and budget planning for consumers.
|Read Expert Review|
Superior Debt Relief Services has negotiated debt settlements with credit card companies for almost 20 years. The company also provides educational services that teach clients how to avoid debt in the future.
7 Steps to 720 teaches members how to improve their credit scores by using their credit cards in specific ways. The company uses a secure portal so members can safely view videos and other materials.
|Read Expert Review|
|Out of Business||Read 16 Reviews|