2. Mortgages

4.9/5 (147 ratings)

About New American Funding

New American Funding is a California-based mortgage lender with branches in 32 states. The company serves 49 states and offers nine types of mortgages, including FHA, VA, conventional, adjustable-rate, 30-year fixed-rate, 15-year fixed-rate, buydowns, reverse mortgages and I CAN loans. It promises competitive interest rates.

Pros

• Accepts FICO Scores as low as 620
  • Nine types of mortgages
  • Online payment option

Cons

• Select fees
  • Branches in just 32 states

Bottom Line

New American Funding provides nine types of mortgages to homeowners with a wide range of credit scores. It has regional branches in 32 states.

Top New American Funding Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Our lender was incredibly responsive to our calls and questions. They provided lots of information but were also accommodating when we need to provide different information. They ...

Verified

I absolutely love New American Funding. This is my first mortgage with them, but I love how everything is in-house. Makes the whole process easier to do. Their customer service is...

What is New American Funding?

Based in Orange County, California, New American Funding is a family- and minority-owned direct mortgage lender. It offers nine different types of loans, including:

• 30-year fixed-rate mortgages
  • ARM loans
  • Buydowns
  • I CAN mortgages
  • Reverse mortgages

Through the website, borrowers can apply for loans, determine a budget, calculate payments or educate themselves on home financing through the New American Funding blog. Though it is a family-owned company, New American Funding’s reach is wide, covering most of the U.S. and servicing over $46 billion in loans.

How does New American Funding work?

Borrowers can apply for a loan by clicking “Request Quote” on the company’s webpage. After entering some basic information, customers receive an email with an invitation to create an application. After your application is received, you will be contacted by a loan specialist who will tell you what your borrowing options are.

New American Funding will not run a credit check until a loan specialist speaks directly with you. Customers can have FICO Scores as low as 620, depending on the loan. Customers with scores lower than 620 may still qualify for FHA loans in some specific cases. Applicants with questions can call to speak with a live customer care representative.

New American Funding rates

Though mortgage rates can change daily, New American Funding mortgage rates range from 2.606% to 3.487% at the time of publishing. The highest APR is for an FHA fixed-rate mortgage at 3.487%. The lowest rate, 2.606% APR, is for a 15-year fixed-rate loan.

Veterans and members of the armed forces can select a VA mortgage at 3.094%. A 30-year fixed-rate mortgage has an APR of 3.180%.

New American Funding fees

Some of New American Funding’s fees for a mortgage include:

• Origination fee: New American Funding customers should plan on paying an origination fee, which averages 1% of the total amount of the loan. With charges ranging from zero to 4%, New American Funding offers a relatively low origination fee.
  • Assumption fee: The company charges a $250 assumption fee.
  • Recast fee: Borrowers who want to adjust their monthly payment must pay a $300 recast fee.
  • Extra document fee: Customers who need additional copies of documents pay $10 to $20 per document.
  • Reconveyance fee: Reconveyance fees are part of every loan; rates vary from state to state.

Additionally, there are some payment-related fees associated with New American Funding loans. For example, customers who pay by phone are charged $7.50. Wire payments cost $15. There is a $25 fee on returned checks, and late fees for mortgage payments are different for every loan and outlined in each contract.

Closing costs can vary greatly from state to state, but New American Funding encourages its customers to plan on paying $1,230 to $2,100 in closing costs. This figure does not include title fees, insurance, escrow, points paid to the lender, realty transfer tax or impounds because these prices vary according to the conditions of each loan and the location of the property.

New American Funding FAQ

Who owns New American Funding?
New American Funding is a family-owned company founded by Orange County husband and wife Rick and Patty Arvielo. Rick Arvielo acts as CEO and Patty Arvielo is the president of the company.
Where is New American Funding?
New American Funding’s headquarters are in Orange County, California. It has regional branches in 32 states.
What kind of loans does New American Funding offer?
New American Funding offers nine different types of loans. Borrowers can choose from a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage, 15-year fixed-rate mortgage, conventional loan, FHA loan, VA loan, ARM loan, buydown loan, I CAN mortgage and reverse mortgage.
Can I pay my New American Funding mortgage online?
Yes, by clicking the “My Loan” tab, New American Funding borrowers can pay online as soon as they set up a Customer Care Net account. Customers can also pay via the New American Funding app.

Is New American Funding legit?

New American Funding is a legitimate company that offers low fees and fair rates compared with national averages. It promises the attention to customer care borrowers expect from a family-owned business. The company also offers options for those with bad credit. Request a quote online for more information.

New American Funding Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about New American Funding?

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

I came to know about NAF thru the HARP program. I can say that my experience with NAF has truly been an enjoyable one. My 1st mortgage lender sold the mortgage to another lender after a year but NAF have kept mine for the past 7+ years. Making life so much easier as I don't have to worry about transferring documentations or who to contact when tax season rolls around.

On both occasions that I have to do business w/NAF i.e. refinance, the people are just a joy to work with. They kept me updated all throughout the process. They are very efficient and obviously knows what they are doing. This time I have the privilege to work with David **. I can say that he is one of the best if not the best. He provided me with all the rates and gave me advices as to which would work best for me. He stays late to answer my questions as we are in different time zones. Isaiah ** picked up where David left off, and same experience. Best service anyone can ask for. Working on my loan even on his birthday -- that I think sums up everything anyone needs to know about people who works at NAF. Meeting people like them is truly a blessing.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

Daniel was absolutely amazing every step of the way, from our application all the way up to closing. His communication was perfect, frequent and thorough, but not too frequent, and also as succinct as it needed to be. He checked in with us often, answered all of our questions, sometimes over and over again. He always made sure we understood everything and felt very supported. We had some unusual struggles on our end, due to waiting for our sellers' new home to be finished and then dealing with the sellers' having problems with their loans. The whole process took 6.5 months, and Daniel was supportive and amazing the entire way.

I simply could not imagine having a better experience anywhere else, with anyone else. Daniel is incredible at his job, he's a cool person, and he takes care of his clients. He deserves the highest praise, and whatever he is being paid, he deserves a hefty raise on top of that. I hope my husband and I have the opportunity to work with Daniel specifically again (and NA) should we have financial needs in the future. I will recommend him to everyone, and have already told one friend to get his info from me when they're ready to buy. Recognize this dude! Make him happy. Y'all can't afford to lose such an amazing person.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2021

I was told that several, companies were involved with this also.. I.e.. one of them was to verify something from my bank. I was this was very important. When we s-one the individual called my credit union with me unannounced. We had to wait about 15-16 minutes to get a person. It was very confusing as to why. When om my bank came on, my person inquired about my account. It caught the bank person and me off guard. All she wanted to know was Did I indeed have an account there. Never mind the fact that I had already sent several months of my statements to you. I was embarrassed and I think my bank person was also.

This should never have happened. Why you needed this other company to do this was a mystery to me and the bank. The bank then inquired if they were asking for a payoff figure. The best answer was no, she was there to verify I had an account. Very foolish to have people that so called specialists on this area. Definitely not a great subcon to have to pay.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

I have a house that I have been renting in Missouri and I live in Tennessee. I needed to refinance it in order to get cash back to replace the AC unit. I first tried the mortgage company I had, not only did they deny me but the loan officer would not take my calls or return my call, he just sent an email informing me. So I called New American Funding. My loan officer, Matt, was great. He went over all my options and figured out that although my credit score was good, my debt to income was too high, so he worked with me on consolidating all my credit cards and my car payment into my mortgage and still giving me the cash back I needed to replace the AC and have some extra left over as well. He helped me understand and get through the whole process, especially as I am technologically handicapped. And the whole process only took 34 days from first contact to closing. The other company was telling me up to 70 days. So Thank you very much Matt and New American Funding.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

We had a wonderful experience for the most part. Our loan specialist, Jon D., was amazing and went above and beyond in every aspect. Markia L. was impossible to get ahold of and was constantly asking for paperwork we already sent. She was honestly no help and made the whole situation more stressful, so we opted to go through Jon whenever possible. On closing day there was a paperwork error that was found and NOT CORRECTED on Wednesday when we closed on a Friday. We were livid that no one brought this to our attention and our title company told them about it ahead of time.

We ended up waiting 2 hours for Markia to even acknowledge us and 4 more hours for their error to he fixed. We had so much trouble getting any answers from Markia and she even ignored our desperate calls for affirmation. The phone would ring twice and go to voicemail which was full every time. She never called us back or acknowledged us. We ended up calling Jon who was done with work and he helped us get all paperwork sent and squared away. Jon was absolutely wonderful and deserves to be commended, but Markia did nothing to help us and left us livid.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

No complications or complaints for first time home purchase. All required activities were completed online or email, very easy experience to purchase a new home. In the future if I require home loan I’d use this company again and also recommend to others.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

NAF again provided fabulous service throughout the entire process. They are knowledgeable, organized and follow through to keep it timely and moving smoothly. It's great working with the whole team; Robert **, Carly ** and Devin Power **. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

New American Funding is excellent. My loan consultant, Brittani **, stays with me through the whole process. I can call her any time during the process and she knows the answer to all the questions I have. After everything is finished they stay in touch with you through the phone and emails.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

Over the years I’ve had three different loan officers. Hunter was by far the best loan officer I’ve used. His knowledge and expertise made this whole process very simple and amazingly quick. He helped make sure I was able to get what I wanted, and at the best rate. Highly recommended for any looking to finance or refinance their home.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

I got funded by New American through Chris ** as a new retiree. I had not received my first pension check yet and Chris did all the leg work necessary to get my funding when Rocket Mortgage would not touch me until September 1st, the date I would receive my first pension payment. The escrow closed on August 31st, so we left California and moved immediately to South Tulsa! We just love our beautiful new home!!! NAF is the best mortgage loan company in the whole world! Thank you so very much for helping us in our time of need!

New American Funding Company Information