3.43/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

4113 Quicken Loans Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I couldn't believe that they would cheat and change the locked interest rate before the 40 days (their own policy). I have plenty of evidence on the email and documents. I am gonna take legal actions.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Everyone please be warned that if you’re buying a house, do not go with Quicken Loans. They are unreliable and borderline scam artists. I’m sharing my story in the hopes to help others in my situation. I’ve been approved for a loan through Quicken Loans for two and a half months now, and I was supposed to be closing on my house November 1st. I was approved for an FHA loan, which is 3.5% down. About a month and a half before closing, they called and said that due to market conditions closing would need to go from $3,500 down, to $5600 down. Which is extremely stressful, but I found a way to make it work.

Four weeks before closing, they call again and inform me that a full year's home insurance must be paid in advance. Which I had never been informed of previously. I reached out to a family member, who was willing to help with the $1000 I was short towards insurance. Once I got the home insurance set up, and switched my car insurance to get a bundle discount, they call again. A week and a half before closing. They now inform me that due to tax fluctuations, they will be requiring $8400 down with the year in advance of insurance paid. On a first time home buyers loan. Thinking I would lose the house, I reached out to my realtor, who reached out to the seller. The seller offered to loan me whatever I was short for closing, and I could pay it back to him.

Thinking all this was finally over, I relaxed a bit. Until receiving yet another call. My realtor informed me that Quicken Loans denied the loan from the seller. So, I have everything I own in boxes and nowhere to go, thanks to the worst loan agency I’ve ever worked with. Do not go with Quicken Loans. Additionally, I spoke with a supervisor there about my experience, and did not even receive so much as an apology. They have also denied my request to refund me the $500 deposit I had put down for the loan. This has been the worst business I have ever dealt with.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I was informed by Bryant, (3) three days before my closing date, that due to the Condo Association's Homeowners Associations contract, Quicken Loans could not follow through with my loan. I believe they should have checked that earlier in this process. They left me in a panic to find another way to get a loan, and hope my seller will agree to change the closing date. Quicken Loans staff said they sure were sorry. But they were not as sorry as me. I will never recommend this business to anyone. Others who dropped- the -ball on me, Ryan **, Alan **. I hope they never have to experience the sadness and disappointment of an experience like this. My Mom's favorite saying, when someone or some business mistreated her, was "What goes around, comes around."

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I have had to place a fraud alert, due to Quicken Loans' deceptive business practices. I was inquiring about a possible, Harp, or refinancing. I was made CLEAR, I was only in the informational phase of this process. In my conversational with ALEX of Quicken Loans, I made is clear. Alex was professional in manners. I guess, his attempt to build a client rapport. Alex ask to run my credit, in which I CLEARLY STATED... "DO NOT RUN my credit," as I was only in the informational stage as with other mortgage companies. It was taped and recorded for him not to run my credit. He do so only under the guise of verifying my information provided from a prior request 1 to 2 years ago.

I tried to reach a resolution with a Quicken rep by the name of Jill. She stated, even though I clearly recorded & stated don't run my credit. He did so. This is a company not to be trusted. Read other client write ups. You can expect; Sleazily, and deceptive business practices here... Go with Home Depot. This is only my experience and option. Read other client comments for yourself's.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I'm afraid that Quicken has become too comfortable with their success and their LO's (loan officers) have decided to overprice their loans for their own benefit. I was a current Quicken customer and was looking to refinance with cash out due to my current financial situation. I shared with my rep that I was currently going through a custody battle and needed to use some of my equity to pay off my credit cards, legal fees and just get a fresh start. I feel like because I was honest, they knew I was more desperate for the cashout and gave me a horrible offer.

My career is in financial services and I even previously worked for a company that gives awards for customer experience, so I trusted Quicken's brand and reputation... all I can say is, DON'T!!! SHOP AROUND before you ever sign with this company!!! I had multiple lenders offer $10K LESS in closing costs! HUGE difference and honestly, I feel Quicken was trying to take advantage of my situation. If they will treat a current client who has great credit and never been late on a payment, how will they treat you? Don't believe the marketing hype... they offered me a loan with horribly inflated closing costs. I received the same 30 yr fixed, same appraisal amount, same interest but over $10K more in the cashout offer due to the closing costs from the 2 other lenders I looked at.

Quicken then had their "retention team" reach out to me multiple times where I avoided their calls and didn't return messages. I finally ended up talking to 2 different "retention team" members where one decided to threaten me and tell me to feel free to call them back in a couple months when my payment goes up and isn't what this other lender promised. What a scare tactic! HORRIBLE to do to a single mom in distress about her financial situation and just wanting to pay off debt and lawyer fees! Like I said, SHOPPING AROUND in this competitive market is KEY!

Getting a couple quotes can only help you and educate you to what is available. It doesn't hurt your credit to have multiple lenders pull your credit when shopping for a mortgage. Just need to do it in the same timeframe. Don't trust the JD Power trophies that Quicken is the way to go! I'm so SO grateful because I have $10,000 more in my bank account because I refinanced with another lender and left being a Quicken customer!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Quicken Loans?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Charlie **/Rocket Mortgage/Quicken approached me for a refinance waiving the majority of costs and fees. Said I met all criteria so I decided to trust him and allow the transaction to proceed. After successfully overcoming the many obstacles, viewing the final documents, questioning the new payments I reviewed the documents. Turns out all those ”Free” fees and charges magically surfaced, and I was also asked to come up with $3k at closing? Once I questioned Charlie, he disappeared. No reply, no explanation and suddenly a letter from them stating I no longer qualified for their products?

This is a typical bait and switch scenario, and now I am very wise as to how this company works. Use caution when proceeding, he is a salesman not your buddy, and if it sounds too good to be true in the beginning, it probably is in the end. Oh and btw, I did secure a better loan rate, waived fees and genuine customers service from my personal bank. Educate yourself before falling for their scam.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I was shopping around for a mortgage loan and stumbled across Rocket Mortgage, owned by Quicken Loans. I applied online, got a "pre-approval" email in minutes and was assigned a "specialist", Kevin from their Detroit office... here's where it gets fun. I sent in via the secured portal, all papers and bank statements. After a few calls from Kevin where he tore apart my bank statement line by line and 4 weeks later, I receive a message from Kevin now saying I need to "Have funds in reserve" to proceed and must show those funds in a bank account. So I sold an extra vehicle, a lawn mower, and an atv and added those proceeds to my bank account... Not good enough! Now I was told bus a phone call from Kevin, that I need to document exactly what those deposits were from... So I forwarded copies of the sold items which included title copies, bill of sale AND bank deposit slips matching the "reserve funds".

Keep in mind, my bank balance before all this was more than sufficient! Talk about jumping through hoops! Now today, No one called but cowardly I was left a message on the "Secure portal" that states "sorry, but before we can proceed, per underwriters,". That "I must produce appraisals of value for all the items sold, from a car dealer or mower dealer". WHAT? How and the heck am I to track down and asked the new owners to let me take the item you bought back and go get a "certified" value appraisals!!! It's now apparent that Rocket Mortgage does not trust anyone! I can't believe what they asked! Don't waste your time with them, go with a locally funded mortgage institute, like your LOCAL BANK, that's what I did and (got approved in 72 hours) and should have from the get go! Like I said, Rocket and Quicken, WHAT A JOKE!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

10-12-18. My experience with Quicken Loans is like all of the negative reviews here put together. Today's winning comment from Quicken Loans' winning “Executive” was my issue was “inconsequential”. I could very well lose my home (with substantial equity) because of their failure to do the paperwork for the refinance correctly and timely. Unlike most mortgages mine has a due date "balloon". If I miss the balloon date, the foreclosure will start. It is not about making the payments (I do). It is about getting the refinance before the due date.

As a Veteran using my VA loan for the first time I expect some difficulties. However, Quicken Loans repeatedly blamed the VA for items and standards which in fact the VA does not require. There is no excuse for that. It took a little effort to find the real rules but they are out there. Many thanks to the VA employee **. I couldn't figure out why we started having so much trouble on a simple, previously approved, loan, Then I remembered the FED raised the interest rate and there is more money for the company to make elsewhere. Never mind that we had paid for an interest rate lock. They wanted out of their commitment. After reading your experiences it seems that their bad behavior is simply their business model.

Just like all of you, I want justice. I don't believe for a minute that these posts will effect this big company. The occasional reader might steer away from Quicken Loan but it won't hurt them. Nor will it remedy the great damage they have caused to me and my family. Where is the justice for us, and for you with your complaints.

Reading the other posts here I believe there is a pattern of deceit which borders on a violation of the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA) laws. If so, there is a place to hold them accountable. Now, the enforcement of RESPA is in the hands of the CFPB with the assistance of state attorneys general. Very few consumers are aware of the laws out there to protect them. Because they don't know people don't seek redress for the damages caused by unscrupulous companies. The companies keep reeking havoc on people's lives and racking up the profits in the process.

Consumer Affairs a great service to the community but may be too little too late for many of us. If you “blow off steam" here with your post and move on, the company wins. You lose. The trick is to stay angry even after you have moved on. Take the fight to the next level. They were perfectly happy to take your money, your time, your expectations, your reputation and throw it under the bus to make themselves a little profit. The is not what Capitalism is about. That is not what America is about. We are better than that. WE deserve better than that.

My life experience says that banding together can effect change and maybe find justice. We do not have to suffer in silence. There is a Federal Watchdog agency out there which offers some hope for justice. This FEDERAL Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is your tax dollars at work watching out for you. It is like calling the police when you see something suspicious, or dangerous. Some problems are too big to handle by yourself.

I wonder if all the complaint posters here followed up with a formal complaint to the CFPB if we might find justice. I see on the government site where there have been settlements of more than $14 million dollars against banks and mortgage lenders their misdeeds. Again, this web Consumer Affairs provides a great service but it should be the beginning, not the end. I'm taking my complaint against Quicken Loans to the next level. I hope you will too. "Pray for the Dead-Fight for the Living" - Mother Jones.

Consumer Affairs a great service to the community but may be too little too late for many of us. If you “blow off steam" here with your post and move on, the company wins. You lose. The trick is to stay angry even after you have moved on. Take the fight to the next level. They were perfectly happy to take your money, your time, your expectations, your reputation and throw it under the bus to make them selves a little profit. The is not what Capitalism is about. That is not what America is about. We are better than that. WE deserve better than that.

My life experience says that banding together can effect change and maybe find justice. We do not have to suffer in silence. There is a Federal Watchdog agency out there which offers some hope for justice. This FEDERAL Consumer Financial Protection BUREAU is your tax dollars at work watching out for you. It is like calling the police when you see something suspicious, or dangerous. Some problems are too big to handle by yourself.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

As a first time home buyer my experience with Quicken Loans was absolutely terrible. I have never experienced such incompetence in my life as the staff working for this company. I actually called Lending Tree first to get a quote regarding a condo in Florida and Lending Tree told me right away that I would need 25% down - and to be fair they did not tell me why-but I felt that I could do better elsewhere. I called Quicken Loans because my sister-in-law got her mortgage through them. And Ken ** was my contact and he swore on a stack of Bibles that since I have an 829 credit score that I would not need 25% down and he doesn’t know why Lending Tree would tell me something like that. He assured me on a recorded line… Both me and my real estate agent that we would only need 3 to 5% down doing a conventional loan.

Long story short I paid for inspection-and I paid for an appraisal… All to come to find out that Lending Tree was right from the get go - and that I would need 25% down because there was an investor in the condominium complex that had a very heavy presence and because this investor owned 100 units in this complex - so anybody coming in from the outside would need 25% down in order to purchase a condo. I actually ended up coming up with the 25% down… At the end of the day Quicken Loans still could not get the loan done because they say it was too high risk… Seeing that the investor had too much of an upper hand with the properties in that particular complex.

I called the client relations department for Quicken Loans and they could not find the multiple phone calls between me and Mr. ** with him assuring me over and over again I would only need 3 to 5% down - it’s pretty funny how they say that all the calls are recorded but then when you call them to have them pull a call they can’t seem to find the phone call… It was ridiculous. I told them I wanted them to reimburse me for my appraisal and they absolutely refused and they told me they would give me $250 back which I thought was a freaking joke because the whole thing was their fault. They should’ve known from the get go that there was an investor issue within that complex…

We faxed overall 70 pages of the condominium documents and in those documents it included everything that they needed to know… There was no reason that they should’ve pushed me to buy an appraisal and push me to get the inspection done. The only thing that I can compare Quicken Loans to is I feel like they are the Kia of home mortgages. I feel that Quicken Loans targets people with bad credit or no credit… So of course these people are just thrilled to get approved because they don’t know any better. Please adhere to my warning when I tell you if you have a 740 credit score or higher. Believe me when I tell you you could do much better than Quicken Loans. All they do is play a numbers game.

They take numbers from the back and tack them onto the front or vice versa and when I switched mortgage companies - I literally save the $3700 because that was the amount of money that Quicken Loans was charging me for all of the origination fees because they have to use third-parties to get things done. I strongly recommend that if you are a first time home buyer-do not go with Quicken Loans… Do your research and make sure you go over everything with a fine tooth comb because you are going to pay out the wazoo in fees and in closing costs and all of it is garbage and it is a complete joke. In my opinion I think they need to be audited big time because I am hard-pressed to think that what they’re doing to people is actually legal. GET SMART- Say NO to Quicken Loans!!!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Terrible experience! Took our $500.00 deposit. Thought for sure we had the loan only to find out we did not. We happened to have two appraisals one week apart. One for $350,000 and Quicken Loans $247,000. Our log home was only one year old and Quicken Loans appraisal didn't even cover the costs of building it! Can't someone do something about this company? It looks like there are more than enough complaints to investigate them!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Three mortgage brokers — one “Senior” and two “Directors” have recently been trying to manipulate the housing market in my neighborhood by making back-to-back-to-back offers, using high-pressure tactics to bring the seller down in price. One broker truly wanted to buy the house but cannot afford it, and could not reach contractual agreement with the seller. The other two brokers came in and made subsequent offers unattractive to boost up the attractiveness of the first offer. All three are friends, all three work at Quicken as brokers. The sellers caught on to this activity fairly quickly, and have refused to negotiate with any of them. This is a testament to the slimy character of some of Quicken’s brokers. It also demonstrates how mortgage broker position titles are inflated as a means to instill confidence in customers.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Obtaining the loan, although not painless, was as simple and efficient as one could reasonably expect. As a relatively new resident in an area where hurricane flood damage is possible, wisdom born of experience now reveals that we should have sought a mortgage/loan locally. Beyond the inconvenience of having to mail the check dispersed by the insurance company to Michigan (we live in NC) for Quicken Loans to endorse, which takes 7 business days to approve (!), process, and return, they require other criteria that is excessive, arduous, and unnecessarily complicated - thus creating delays to the already overwhelming process of having our home repaired.

Before any work can be done and the insurance funds are released, Quicken Loans requires:
    (1) License number of the contractor for each contractor or specialist doing work (remediation, floor replacement, wall replacement, cabinet removal, etc).
    (2) Complete and detailed contract for each repair
    (3) Completed W-9 for each person/group hired to do the work

(4) Inspection before and after damage repair

To be clear, we understand the need for procedures to be in place to avoid fraud, but after speaking with associates in banking, insurance, and mortgage lending, Quicken Loans' protocol is, again, exceptionally and unnecessarily arduous. That, coupled with the distance and need to have everything processed via land mail makes the experience nearly insufferable. Local banks/lenders do their due diligence, but the process is not unreasonably tedious, and local processing is both personal and efficient. From our experience with Quicken Loans, we would strongly recommend to anyone seeking a home loan to do so locally.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Whatever you do, do not get suckered in! We were assigned an agent and the guy called and called and called and called non stop 2 minutes after requesting a quote online. He made it sound so easy. It was not! He was rude, not professional at all and never did his job properly. He was hard to get a hold of and the worst part? When we finally decided to go with another company our information got out there and now we keep getting credit cards in the mail and people are applying for credit cards in our names!

We not only had to get Lifelock, we now have submitted numerous police reports, which we were told they hopefully will be able to pinpoint who or what company is applying for all these accounts in our names. Even after thanking him and saying we have chosen another company we got nasty emails from him and then this started. It's pretty obvious what happened here and the police will get to the bottom of it. So do not use this company at all. They don't even approve you for what you should be approved for. We were approved for a shack. Went with another company and had no issues at all. Buyer Beware!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

This was hands down one of the worst processes I have ever gone through. We did everything up front to ensure we knew what we would be approved for upon shopping for a home. Quicken provided us some financial advice and informed us steps we needed to ensure we would be approved, so we did as they told us. We asked if we should re-fi our lake house from a 20 year to 30 year and they informed us we did not need to do that. So we cleared out our debt, they gave us an approval letter which we gave to our realtor showing them what range of homes we were approved for.

We found our dream house, put an offer in, Quicken approved us AGAIN and then for some reason we got handed off to another underwriter and they said we were no longer approved. They indicated that our prior lender gave us poor advice and that we should have never paid off our debt and should have refinanced our lake house and unfortunately, there was nothing they could do for us. We asked them to provide us some alternatives, as we leaned on them for their expertise and they gave us poor advice. They indicated some other steps that we could take, so we did them to find out we still weren’t approved.

Throughout the entire process we had to supply the same documents numerous times and sometimes we would be notified that we were holding up the process because we weren’t completing the items on our to do list, yet when we logged in, it said 0. We brought this to their attention and they couldn’t figure out why this was happening and didn’t really propose a solution. It’s really hard to provide documentation when you don’t know it’s being asked.

We were handed off to numerous people throughout the process and no one seemed to take responsibility for anything…especially the fact that we were given poor advice and approved 3 times. Sucks when you follow their advice, to find that you were handed off to another underwriter and that they made another mistake and we were no longer approved. If we would have never followed their advice, we would have been approved for our dream home and had a whole lot more money in our bank!!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

They called my wife while I was at work and pressured/tricked her into paying 400.00 upfront for a home appraisal, non refundable. Then they tried to hit me with a bogus interest rate. What did they care? They already had my 400.00. I ended up losing my 400.00 to get a much better interest rate from a much more reputable company, a full point lower.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Beginning of the process was as easy as it gets. They will let you do everything online and make it feel a lot easier than any other company. There will be no issues until 72 hours before closing. That's when you will enter your personal hell... They attempted to change my PMI on the day of closing (literally 5 hours prior to close the tripled the amount), when I refused they switched my amount for down payment. When I said NO they canceled my closing that day because they needed more time and moved it to tomorrow than 2 days from then and then another week. While all this is happening my wife and I are living in the hotel with all of our belongings in the garage of the house we thought we were purchasing.

Finally after 10 days of living in a hotel Quicken Loans made us an offer to increase our mortgage from $2100 to $2500 and when we refused they just rejected us. Worst part about this they will not provide you with anything in writing so they cannot be held liable. When you report them to the better BBB they will simply reply that your "circumstances" changed and they will keep their rating.

I have never written a bad review about a company and I hope I never do again because this is simply something I just do not believe in but I felt very strongly people should be warned about this companies practice. We ended up losing the house because the seller couldn't afford to wait for another lender to step in. My wife and I both have very strong careers and have done everything the right way (740 credit score, good income, no debt) and to be humiliated like this and lose our dream home because of a Big Company feeling like they can just push us around just does not seem right...

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

They wasted my time and damaged my credit score with multiple, unnecessary inquiries. I was led into the process and worked with one person with Quicken. As the process was finishing another representative took over and was not familiar with any part of the process described by the first representative.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

These people are the worst. It seems too good to be true and it was. Closing was 11k than originally discussed. The loan officer Tony wasn't helpful at all, I had to call him and make sure things were still on schedule. Very little information on their end. I had to get the manager and that point I'm like what I doing? I'm not giving my business to these thieves. There are local companies who will not screw you over. Stay away from these people, they are all about money. That's it.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

This is my third mortgage loan/refinance with Quicken Loans/Rocket Mortgage. My first contact was little less than amazing. I requested a rate quote from one of your online ads, and in a few minutes my phone rang. I was being contacted by an enthusiastic agent. Within a couple of weeks, I was signing up for a re-fi for my house in Kansas City. Subsequently, my company transferred me to Illinois and when we were ready to purchase a new home, I again contacted Quicken/Rocket in order to set up a new mortgage. As the first two went off without a hitch, when I considered a re-fi and lower my term, I cannot say that it was without some issues. The processes have changed a bit in just over a year. More layers of staff have been added in order to carry the workload (due to the amazing growth of the company I am sure).

There were a few important details that got shuffled and a few balls were dropped during the re-fi process. I sometimes felt that the right hand was not aware of what the left hand was doing. Once these glitches were pointed out however, I was quickly contacted by Laura **. I cannot say enough about how she assisted the getting the process back on track. Laura was interracial in my decision to remain with the re-fi process through your company and not utilize a local banker friend who originally contacted me and was in the process of handling my re-fi before one of your agents offered to match their offer. After researching my loan, Laura put me in touch with Brandon **. Brandon also was true to the company’s word and the customer’s expectations. He negotiated an outcome that was suitable for both and we closed on the new loan. Well done by Both!!

The original founder of the company I work for has been quoted many times, "The three most important things in running a successful business are 'People, People, People'." Well, with all of this being said, these two people… exemplify the best of the best! After a short period of questioning the new processes and wondering if your company would retain my business going forward, I am back to being a believer in your business model!!!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I was looking into a refi mortgage because I'm paying PMI on an FHA loan. The PMI doesn't go away so I have to refinance, eventually, but no way with icky Rocket Mortgage Quicken Loans. I pay PMI but I have a low interest rate (3.25%). The Quicken Loans guy was personable, chummy like a good salesman. He came up with a package that met most of my "must haves" but the payment was kind of high. He kept me on the phone after work for 2 hours during which he pressed for a commitment - a deposit of $500.00 - even though I repeatedly said I wanted to sleep on it. He laughed off my concerns saying, "We're not closing today!" "If you change your mind, you can get your deposit back." He wore me down. I gave him my credit card number because I wasn't sure I didn't want it, not because I was sure I did.

I slept on it, okay. I woke up in the middle of the night, and thought, "No!" I wrote him and said I'm out and why. I'd be giving up equity to shave a fraction off the effective interest rate (factor in PMI) and I'd be stuck with a mortgage payment that will make paying off my cc debt that much harder. I can't do this now. I don't have to do this now. What was I thinking?

Classic hard sell sales tactic alert! I was EXHAUSTED after the long day at work and long phone call. In response, I got an email from him asking if we hadn't agreed to discuss if I had concerns? Classic hard sell sales tactic alert! Getting you to "agree" to stuff so you're less likely to say "no." His email told to me to call his director for my refund. Escalating to the boss. I left a message for her then got a call from him. He told me I misunderstood. Said he had a plan for me to meet my cc debt, too. That was just not true so I called ** on that. The director was lurking on the call. She cut in, told me "write down" some numbers because she wanted to "educate" me.

I found her tone bullying and condescending. I couldn't get a word in edgewise. She wanted to stress how much money I'd save over the life of the loan... I wanted to hang up, and I should have, but I tried one last time to act right, making the point that I can pay whatever amount I want on my current mortgage - no pre-payment penalty - and save as much or more over the course of the loan. They were kind of desperate. I'm sure that's because they want what's best for me and my family and not because of sales quotas or the hopes of owning my house someday.

The saddest thing is that one of these 5-star reviews is from someone saying how nice they were to her even after her home was foreclosed on. These ** put her in a commitment she couldn't afford, I'll bet. All the time stressing how much money she'd save. Predators. Go elsewhere. Talk to your bank. Talk to a financial adviser. Talk to your cousin, the accountant. Never, ever get rushed into a decision that big. Rocket Mortgage, indeed. I'd like to shoot them into outer space. Google "Quicken loans hard sell."

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Everything was great until the appraiser they hired did not know what he was doing. He undermeasured my home by 200 sq feet, undervalued my land by 40% based on county assessments which are always lower than market value. No one would believe me that my home was larger than he said no matter how much proof I provided. And they refused to refund me the money. Terrible terrible experience, never again.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Of course in the beginning everything seemed to be just fine, all smiles. Anyways, in short I was lied multiple times about the rate and about the reason why I would get such a high rate. After discussing my case with 2 different institutions I found out that my credit score was higher than what was being used at Quicken Loans and therefore I should have qualified for a better rate. Of course I did complain about that but they did not change the rate telling me that I should actually have an even higher credit score to qualify for a better rate. This was different from what I was told two times before. Even after that I still chose to continue with Quicken Loans, since we were so close to closing date (10 days). After I told other institutions I would not work with them and when we were about to close, then Quicken Loans calls me and they tell me that they decided to deny the loan for no specific reason.

They literally said they could not give me a specific reason. Either they did not want a bad review or this was basically discrimination. They made it very clear that they were seeking a good review, they called me multiple times right away after I would place an unhappy face on their website (They have an emoji system). I guess after too many unhappy faces I was not good for their business. It is all about the good reviews. Do not go with this company unless you are sure you are willing to suck it up and give them a good review, no matter what they do to you. I guess learning to bend forward for the mortgage company is just another requirement to get a loan.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I refinanced my mortgage with Quicken Loans years ago. The process was straightforward and simple. I have no complaints. Now, years later, we had a financial upset that left us unable to continue to pay our mortgage. Quicken worked with us diligently to try to find a resolution so that we could keep our house. In the end, there was no way we could afford to keep the house and they were never unkind, rude or other than polite, friendly and helpful to us. We lost our house in foreclosure, they provided all the information we needed and answered all of our questions.

Once the process was done, they expressed their hope for our future and assisted with all last minute questions we had. I cannot tell you enough how much I appreciated their sincere help and feelings for what we were going through. I believe everyone has different expectations and experiences, but I can only say that they were wonderful and I would recommend them to anyone seeking a loan.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

In the beginning, it all seemed too good to be true. Fact is, it really was. I believed everything I was told from day one. Very nice and congenial loan officer, very upbeat, seemed to have it all under control. Well, not so much. After providing everything they asked for and after weeks of waiting, in the end, they could not make good on their promises. By this time I had told other competitors that I would be no longer working with them, that I had decided to work with Quicken Loans. Yea, they warned me! But did I listen, hah!

I could write volumes on why one should avoid this company, but it may just come down to this. Make sure you know who you are working with. My loan officer had only been on the job and in the mortgage lending field for roughly 6 months! Yes! His highest ranking position before his alleged "loan Officer" was the crew chief at Wendy's! Oh, yea, the "burger" chain.

Be sure to check the NMLS record of the individual person you are working with (**). It might and probably will, save you a lot of grief. After weeks of providing every morsel of information, I could muster, short of blood and urine samples, they asked me to pay off a $1,100.00 Mastercard! I thought really, this is what it's going to take now to seal the deal??? Well, that was it for me. I will never call on them again. I will not waste my time with anyone who makes promises they have no intention of keeping. A lesson learned.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Had the worst experience with Quicken Loans!!! I was quickly pre-approved for a mortgage from Quicken Loans and when it was time to follow through to support an offer I made on a home, they provided me with an estimate of closing costs relating to the loan. I was told by my realtor that the closing costs should be between $3,000 and $4,000 based on the loan amount. Their closing cost estimate was $8,503!!! I was in disbelief so I reached out to a bank for a comparable estimate - their estimated closing costs were $3,042...a $5,500 difference.

To be completely honest, Quicken's closing costs included a charge for a point in the amount of $1,200 but they were still $4,300 higher!!! When I contacted them to inform them that I would not be completing my transaction with them they were extremely rude and condescending - they were totally unprofessional and would not accept no for an answer. I almost had to hang up on them. They then proceeded to contact the selling agent and tell them that my loan was denied which was an outright lie! I chose to use a reputable bank rather than the unprofessional organization that tried to completely rip me off. Their actions were completely unethical! PLEASE LEARN FROM MY EXPERIENCE AND DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR BUSINESS!!!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Please do not use this company. I am a realtor and have NEVER I repeat NEVER had them close a loan for me. Always some issue. They give out prequals like candy then the bottom drops out. Please beware...

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

We were told we were pre-approved, went through underwriting and was approved! Found home, made offer, spent 1000$ out of pocket to then be told we were denied! My confidentiality was broken when the wrong number was placed to my boyfriend's ex-wife by mistake!! I was told by executive office that even though the call was placed there was no confidential information said to ex-wife! The call was still placed to her which should never have happened!!

I was told to go through with home inspection even though the loan officer knew there was an issue with loan he stated “I will fix it.” It was mentally and physically exhausting going through a process with the end result being lied to for approval process! Had we been told in beginning, money would have been saved. Quicken Loans takes no accountability and won’t refund my inspection fee. This is the worse thing I’ve ever been through mentally. I was told by executive office this is the last place for the complaint and nobody else can help me! I will never go trough this company again, will deter as many as possible and fully intend to take this complaint much farther.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I received a cold call from a Quicken Loan rep. She after being told not to pulled my credit while trying to sell me on a mortgage. Now I have a hard inquiry on all three credit bureaus. I cannot get hold of anyone at Quicken Loans to fix this.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I went through six weeks of their loan process. Provided all documents requested. Jumped through all their hoops. Paid for the appraisal and pest inspection. Had to have our pergola removed because we would've had to repaint it for the appraisal. They gave us a closing statement and scheduled the closing signing. On the day of the signing, they no-showed. I called and the rep said she didn't know what happened.

After doing research, she found out the scheduler never put it in their calendar, even though they had a recording of him saying he was scheduling it. Then, two days later after having me update the pest inspection, they suddenly canceled the loan. They said they received a phone call canceling the loan, but no one called. I asked them what number the call was from and they said it didn't matter. They pulled the whole thing and didn't give us a number or explanation. I'm back to square one. Sickened by their lack of concern, professionalism, and regard for literally anything. No explanation. No excuse. No nothing. Just, "Sorry, we've canceled the loan based on a random call not from you." WTH?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Was checking online for interest rates and monthly payment, filled out basic information to check the rates. While still looking at it, within a matter of minutes, I was called by a guy, handed off to a female, who said she was not licensed in Florida but would have someone call me. About 10 minutes later, a Candica called me, almost immediately asked me for my SS#. I refused. Explained I was only checking things out, not interested right now in refinancing, would speak to my mortgage company before I did that.

She kept insisting she could help me in just a few minutes but needed my SS#. I refused to reveal anything other than the interest rate I currently have, the amount I owe, my birth date and advised her my credit score is around 750. She kept this up for at least 10 minutes until I finally advised her I had told her enough times I will not provide my SS# or any other personal information at this time, and I was on the verge of being rude and hanging up. Finally got her off the line by taking her number and promising to call her back in a few days. I will NOT be contacting them if I do decide to refinance in order to lower the interest rate. This was the evening of September 4, 2018.

Quicken Loans expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Quicken Loans is an online mortgage lending company. Founded as Rock Financial in 1985, Quicken changed course in the 1990s to focus on online lending and has since become a leading mortgage lender.

• Refinance information: Quicken’s website has a host of information for consumers looking to refinance their mortgages. A list of frequently asked questions, a direct line to a home loan expert, a list of required documents for refinancing and numerous other bits of advice are all located easily on the front page.

• Dedicated HARP page: Because HARP is in effect until September 2017, consumers still have the opportunity to see if they qualify for HARP refinancing. Quicken provides a comprehensive guide to HARP loan modification including eligibility information and answers to frequently asked questions.

• Zing blog: Quicken’s featured Zing blog contains relevant articles not only about home ownership and mortgage refinancing but also about lifestyle topics like gardening and technology. Quicken regularly updates this blog to keep information current and topics varied.

• Online calculators: Whether a consumer wants to refinance their home loan, is looking for a new home or wants to see the impact of making additional payments on their existing loan, Quicken offers free online tools to calculate estimated savings and expenses. The online mortgage, refinancing and amortization calculators are easy to use and provide instant financial estimates.

• Mortgage comparisons: Quicken provides a loan comparison chart, so consumers can see the various loans Quicken offers at a glance. The chart has brief descriptions of the loans with links to more information and application pages for each loan.

• Best for: Quicken is best for consumers looking for instant information about mortgage refinancing.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs