4.5/5 (388 ratings)

About American Standard Walk-in Baths

American Standard’s walk-in bathtub selection includes a variety of soaker and jetted tubs, including water and air jets. All models include quick-drain technology, and certain models come with chromotherapy. The company shows all pricing info and exact models online, though you’ll need to get an in-home consultation to understand the full price (including installation).

Pros

• Transparent pricing
    • Customizable soak and massage tubs
    • Quick-drain tech
    • Self-cleaning features available

Cons

• Installation cost varies
    • Limited warranty

Bottom Line

American Standard’s walk-in tubs come in a variety of customizable deep-soak and massage models. It provides installation with the purchase of a walk-in bath. Features include chromotherapy and self-cleaning.

Top American Standard Walk-in Baths Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

My wife... has difficulty getting into a tub. ... American Standard's reputation goes beyond other programs. Customer service was very fine and the installation took two days, whi...

Verified

Everybody from American Standard that I had to deal with was quite nice. The representative... answered any questions till I didn't really have any. I knew that American Standard ...

American Standard walk-in tub models

American Standard is a household name for dozens of home fixtures, but its line of customizable walk-in tubs is among the most impressive of its home appliance collections. American Standard offers walk-in bathtubs in four varieties: air baths, bathtubs, whirlpools and combo massage tubs. Its extensive selection lets you choose a tub based on your comfort needs.

Model TypeCost Range*
    Deep Soaking Tubs$4,845 to $8,551
    Walk-in Whirlpool Tubs$5,111 to $8,411
    Walk-in Air Baths$5,216 to $8,436
    Combo Massage Tubs$6,420 to $10,556

*Cost ranges at the time of publishing may not include installation.

American Standard walk-in tub features

For comfort and safety, each American Standard walk-in tub includes built-in contoured seats, a safety bar and textured bath floors. Most come fully equipped with a fast-fill tub faucet, a hand-held showering wand and a color-matched drain and overflow. For units without fixtures, an American Standard walk-in tub faucet can be ordered separately.

In addition to standard safety features, most types of American Standard walk-in bathtubs include massage jets for relaxation:

• Air baths feature over 20 individual jets that deliver all-over, water-based massage therapy through tiny warm air bubbles.
    • Whirlpools include up to 13 water jets with an optional legs-only massage.
    • Combo tubs combine the benefits of air baths and whirlpools with up to 39 jets total.

To keep the massage jets clean, specific combo and whirlpool models also include ozone self-cleaning sanitation systems that help the unit run efficiently and cleanly.

In addition to massage jets, combo tub users can also benefit from multicolored chromotherapy. American Standard tubs equipped with chromotherapy use underwater LED lighting to add a color wash or flowing color sequence to your bath.

All units use American Standard’s patented technology to remove water from the tub in less than two minutes. This technology is usually called Quick Drain, although some larger models (60 inches by 30 inches) use Minute Drain technology.

American Standard walk-in tub cost

An American Standard walk-in tub typically costs from $4,000 to $11,000, with a 28-by-48-inch soaking tub costing significantly less than a 32-by-60-inch combo tub with chromotherapy and ozone self-cleaning systems. Tub size, type, material and any additional features affect the price.

To obtain an accurate quote, customers can schedule a no-cost, no-obligation, in-home safety evaluation. American Standard’s contractors determine prices based on:

• Bathroom layout
    • Doorway and hallway width
    • Electrical system
    • Existing plumbing configuration

American Standard provides a quote based on the evaluation, the type of walk-in tub you choose and the additional features you’d like.  American Standard also offers 18-month, no-interest financing for qualified applicants.

American Standard walk-in tub FAQ

What type of warranty does American Standard offer for walk-in tubs?

All American Standard walk-in tubs come with a lifetime warranty on the door seal, installation and labor. Acrylic walk-in tubs come with a 15-year warranty on the bathtub shell and a 10-year warranty on all other components. Gelcoat walk-in tubs come with a 10-year warranty on the bathtub shell and a five-year warranty on the components.

What’s the process for installing an American Standard walk-in tub?

Factory-trained, certified specialists install your tub, typically within one or two days. The installation team also removes and discards your old tub. Once installed, the American Standard contractor tests your tub and explains operations. The in-home evaluation determines the installation cost.

What’s the difference between acrylic and fiberglass tubs from American Standard?

Choosing between a fiberglass and an acrylic American standard walk-in tub depends on your budget, your ability to clean and maintain your tub and the location of the bathroom in your home.

Fiberglass walk-in tubs from American Standard are less expensive, made of lightweight material and ideal for two-story homes. However, fiberglass tubs can be more susceptible to chipping, cracking and failing. They can also stain and absorb water, which can lead to mold buildup if not properly maintained.

Acrylic walk-in tubs from American Standard are less susceptible to physical damage and mold, but they’re more expensive. The heavier material makes acrylic tubs better suited for bathrooms on the first floor.

Both tubs have the same 10- to 15-year lifespan.

How do I clean my American Standard walk-in tub?

American Standard recommends daily upkeep, weekly or monthly cleaning and occasional deep cleaning for walk-in tubs. After each use, rinse off the tub and fixtures with warm water to remove body oils and soap residue. For weekly or monthly cleaning, fill the tub with hot water to seat height, add low-foaming detergent and run the jets for about ten minutes. Drain the tub and fill it with clean water. Run the jets for 15 more minutes to rinse, then drain. For deep cleaning, use detergent and go through longer cycles with the jets to remove residue. Do not use harsh scrubbers on the tub.

What should I expect from an American Standard in-home evaluation?

American Standard offers a free in-home consultation for customers interested in installing a walk-in tub. A certified safety specialist will come to your home, take measurements of your bathroom and determine if the site is suitable for a walk-in tub. You will also receive an accurate price quote that includes the cost of professional installation.

Do we recommend American Standard walk-in tubs?

American Standard’s walk-in tubs provide a customized experience for users of any age. While prices start in the $4,000 range and climb to $11,000 or more, there are no hidden costs, and no-interest financing is available. Quotes include installation and labor, and the company backs its products with a lifetime warranty.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Standard Walk-in Baths?

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

I thought an American Standard walk-in tub would be an excellent idea because it would be a big problem when we get a little older and we already have trouble getting into tubs. Our friend let us come over and look at their tub. I wanted to sit in it and see what it would feel like to be in it. Our friend let us do that. I called American Standard and I got an appointment. Sean was the rep that came and he was very helpful. He told us a whole lot about the product and all the ins and outs. There was another company that I had an appointment with but I never even talked to them. We were so convinced by Sean that American Standard was what we wanted since I had already seen one and checked it out. There were also a lot of things about the product that we liked.

Young people came for the installation and they were very efficient. They knew what they were doing. There was a problem with hooking up the electricity because the fuse box was at one end of the house and the tub was at the other end of the house. They figured out how they could go in through the attic. They bore through a couple of walls to get to the electrician box in the kitchen. They then repaired that beautifully. They said they would be through in a day. But the work took two days. I'm glad they took their time because this was a complicated thing that they were putting in. They bothered us as little as possible. They were very congenial and I welcome them into my home anytime because they were such good people. Their work was perfect.

One of the features that I really like was the fact that when you get out of the tub, it had something that will go automatically and it will dry out all the inputs. I heard people say that they had a Jacuzzi or a tub in the house but they didn't use it much because it built up mildew in the water vents. Our walk-in tub also had a pump that would pump the water out. We like that too. We've had friends that had a walk-in tub and they had to sit there and wait for the water to go out.

We decided to go with this walk-in tub even though it was expensive because it would keep us from going to the nursing home. We decided the nursing home would be a lot more expensive than a walk-in tub. We wanted to stay home. Our friends are still staying home with their walk-in tub and they're still satisfied with it. This walk-in tub has certainly made things much simpler and I don't have to worry about my husband when he says he's going to take a bath. I enjoy it too. I have arthritis and sometimes I can lie in there for a while with the pulsating water. It really helps my arthritis.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for sharing your 5-star review, Claire. Welcome to the American Standard family!

Get buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 1, 2022

When I signed the papers, I had nightmares about the tub because I never spent this much money in my entire life on anything, except for the car and the house. It’s only a tub. But I wouldn't take anything for that tub. I enjoy sitting in that tub. I have a grand baby and he loves to get in that tub with me. He’s about three and he loves to get his dinosaurs in there and sit in the bottom. I let the water get up enough to where it's over the air jets and turn the air jets on. He knows how to work the lights and see all the different color lights. So I have enjoyed it. I have told everybody I come in contact with it knows me about my tub.

The tub has these different color lights. When you push the lights on, they change colors. They go from red to green to blue to purple. Sometimes, they change by themselves, or you can set them for whatever color you want to. You can't put chemicals inside these tubs. But when I got the tub, it came with these scented beads. It's got a place on the outside of the tub that air comes through and it's got a cap on it. You put one bag of those down in there and screw the cap on. At night, when you're soaking in the tub, you can have the lights out, and put your music on the counter in there. Then lean back in that tub and have those different color lights on, and that aroma comes up out of there. You can be in a different world. Those beads last 30 days. They don't get wet. It's just the smell from the air that puts them out there.

The tub has 46 jets and I wouldn't take anything for it. They're hitting you on your back, your legs, your arms, and even in your hands. It helps your feet. It helps the circulation in your legs. It's amazing. You can turn them off and on. You don't have to use them all. There's a button for the jets for your back and then you can turn them off. I also have a button for the jets for the air down on the bottom that does your legs and your waist down. The tub also has a power drain to it that you use to drain the water out quickly.

When American Standard did the installation, they had to make the bathroom door wider because the tub was wider than the other one. They also replaced the toilet because the toilet came with the tub. It's a higher toilet. They made it where it is wheelchair-accessible. Like if I ever had to have a wheelchair in there, all I have to do is slide off the wheelchair and slide right into the tub. That was amazing all of its own. My daughter had a hysterectomy and she hadn't been able to take a bath in her tub because it's too far down. But with my tub, she was able to take the bath and that was awesome. It couldn't have come at a better time.

On the day when American Standard put the bidet in, the bidet wasn't level. It was level on one side but not on the other. So you couldn't tighten it down. When I called American Standard, they told me that because it was not the tub, the contractor would probably be busy. The rep didn't know what their schedule was. But if I got my own plumber to fix the toilet and send them the bill, then they would reimburse me. So I got my own plumber and he came out. I sent them the bill and they were very prompt and sent me my money back that I paid on it. That was awesome in itself in this day and time.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for sharing your experience, Rose! Welcome to the American Standard family.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

Initially, when American Standard sent me the tub, it was the wrong size. They got the bigger tub, but the problem was we couldn't get the tub in the bathroom. I had to have contractors come in and tear out the doorway in the bathroom and rebuild the doorway. Then when the tub was installed, there was a problem. The hot water would not come through. When you turn the water on, it was lukewarm to the point where you could not get in it. Considering it was installed during the time when the weather was cooler, it was easier to tell.

I called American Standard and a young lady answered the phone. I explained that I just had the tub installed and it has never been used but the hot water wasn't coming through. She told me I needed to call a plumber and there was something wrong with my hot water heater. But the hot water works everywhere in the house. There's never been a problem. There's a double sink in that bathroom, and water comes through.

She put the work order in, but that was unprofessional of her to tell me what I needed to do for an item that was just purchased and never used. Her job was to take my complaint and forward it to the people who are in charge. She didn't know what the problem was. How could she sit there and diagnose the problem? I also didn't like her tone. I just spent $20,000 on an item that I hadn't even been able to use. I was not gonna call them about a problem if a problem didn't exist and I was definitely not gonna call someone else to service the problem. When I bought this item, I was told it has a lifetime warranty for repairs.

Once she put the report in, a young man came out and he checked it. He told me there was a very good possibility that it was the mixing valve. He came back another day, replaced the mixing valve, and voilà, it worked. Except for the young lady, everybody else who I dealt with for the entire process was A+. I do love the tub. There was one thing that I missed in the manual though. The first time that happened, I thought the tub was malfunctioning. I eventually unplugged it then plugged it back up later. I was gonna call the next morning but thought of going through the manual again. I found that the item is down in the print. It should upfront saying the the tub will automatically put in the jets for about 20 minutes after you turn it on.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Hello Margaret. Thank you for sharing your review. If we can do anything to help, please reach out to our Customer Care Team at 855-225-2183. Thanks!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

We have used American Standard toilets and things like that for the last 50 years. So, when we went for the tub, I didn't want to go for a name of a company that I didn't know. The sales rep was fairly new, but she immediately was able to get ahold of her supervisor and answer questions that we had that she wasn't sure of. She had an answer, but she wasn't sure of it, so she hardened the answer. And it was about construction and removing doorways. It was difficult for them to get that tub into the small bathroom that we have it in and they had to completely take out a wall, rebuild it and redo the doorway. And she was not sure on a couple of issues about that, but got the correct answers for us. The crew that came out did exceptional work and they did it as fast the time as they possibly could, which was only two days. Everything was back to exactly the way it needed to be when they were done and everything worked properly. So, I was happy.

I love the tub. I just wish the seat was lower into the tub. You sit up high, so it's hard to get water above chest level. The upper abdomen is about as high as you can get that water to go while you're seated. You can slide down in, but it's very uncomfortable on your legs to get that low and you're propping yourself up with your legs to do it. So, if the seated part was another just three or four inches lower, then you would be able to comfortably get underwater. I'm only five-foot-seven. If somebody six-foot bought that, even that wouldn't help. But that's the only thing for me. Everything else is perfect. I love it. I'm in it sometimes twice a day.

It does my lower back and my legs perfectly for me, even though I sit up a little higher. It still gets above my lower back and the jets do, and it works perfect for me. But people need to know what they want that tub to do for them before they jump into it. That way, if they're expecting something that they're not going to get, then that's going to create a headache because it's a permanent install. If they know what they want and will know what they expect this tub to do, I would recommend this tub.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We truly appreciate your kind words, and we thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback, Robert! Welcome to the American Standard Family!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

I grilled the salesman because I already had the presentation by their major competitor. There were a lot of aspects that I was concerned about and the biggest one was losing my shower. American Standard has a feature that their competition doesn't. Their walk-in tub comes with a bar to mount the spray as a shower. If I had gone with the other brand, I would have lost the shower for the sake of putting in my tub. I also asked the rep a lot of technical questions about installation and he was very good about all of that. He was negotiable too which was good.

The installation team was very polite and well-mannered. They did a professional job. But, I was disappointed with the one who worked in the basement. It wasn't until a few days later that I went down to my workshop in the basement and found that he had moved things to run the wire from the power box to bring it up to the floor by the tub but he didn't put them back in the workshop. That was very lazy. He had also knocked stuff off the shelf and didn't even pick them up.

Also, I had a chair there with a box of paper on it to keep it up off the floor. I noticed that the box had been taken off the chair and put on the floor. I could only assume that it was so he could sit there and take a break where it was cool in the basement. He didn't even bother putting the box back. But again, it's just one of the workmen. Out of sight, out of mind. Nobody saw what he was doing. The ones working upstairs were fine. But I had to have the workmen back about a week later because one of the parts of the tub wasn't secured tightly and I was afraid it was going to fall off. The tub has a lifetime warranty so I called and there was no charge. The team came and fixed it.

Unfortunately, American Standard is following the lead of their main competitor who had the market for a while. And they only sell a top-of-the-line Cadillac very expensive tub, because it's a spa and it has all the bells and whistles. It has lighting that changes colors. What I got had an awful lot of stuff but I had no choice. The other option was buying a tub from Home Depot and getting a contractor which is extremely difficult during COVID. I was forced into the decisions that I made but my spouse is happy with the tub.

The one area I was really unhappy with was that I paid by credit card and when the job was done, I expected that they were going to take my credit card and swipe it into a mobile device. But they had me write down my entire credit card number, PIN number and the date of expiration on a form. Then they manually entered it into their tablet and then they kept the damn form. There's no reason on God's green earth why American Standard shouldn't have modern technology when it comes to taking a credit card. Not only that, they had to use my WiFi to connect and I had to give them my password for them to use my WiFi. I assume they're on the up and up but this doesn't bode well for a company that's supposed to be top-notch.

Now, there's a guy that I don't know from Adam, and he's walking around with a piece of paper that has my credit card number and my PIN. I was extremely annoyed with their method of taking credit card payments. American Standard as the prime contractor has the overall responsibility that their employees represent them in a business-like manner.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thanks so much for sharing your experience, John! Welcome to the American Standard Family!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2022

I picked American Standard out because it had 44 jets. It also has the shower package. It has the little beads you can put in it to make things smell sweet. American Standard's rep was very good, knowledgeable, and informative. The installers said they would be here between 7:00 and 8:00, and they were here five after 7:00. We were told it might take up to three days. But they were out of here at 6 o'clock that day, all cleaned up and everything working well. They tested everything. I was getting to the point where it was hard to step over the tub. And the tub I had was a Jacuzzi and I couldn't use it because I couldn't get down. And if I did get down, I couldn't get back up. This way, I can sit down and use it as a Jacuzzi, and I like it.

The only thing I would recommend is they gotta redesign their door. There's one company that I looked at that their door is like American Standard's, but at the very top half, it extends out a little farther. It's like an upside down L, where your door is just straight up and down. If you were a big person, you would have a tough time getting in and out of that door. American Standard needs to redesign their door and make it bigger on the top. Other than that, it's an excellent tub. It does exactly what I was looking for.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for your business and for taking the time to leave a review, William. We're happy to have you as part of the American Standard family!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

The American Standard reps were knowledgeable and excellent. They installed the tub, and they were on time. Overall, there were some hiccups, but they were taken care of. So, the experience went smoothly.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for sharing your review, Deborah. Welcome to the American Standard family!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

The representative came here, and I knew him very well. I knew his family. Also, the installation team was really good. They were here for two days and they never stopped from what they were doing. The first time I used the tub, I felt unsafe in it, but it could be from the soap, without it going down the drain and I didn't wait for it. I haven't had any problems though. The tub has a protective thing on it so I don't fall, but I've never used them. I might do that later on down the road, but right now, I'm doing fine without them. I like the chair and I also like the handheld very much because I can move it around. The hand bars come in handy too. However, the American Standard tub is expensive, and I was wondering if there was a way that I could get money back. I read where Medicare could pay for something like that, but I've already had it installed, so I don't know if they will do anything. I never even asked them, but I'd be glad if they paid half or some on it.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for sharing your review and welcome to the American Standard family!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

The salesman was nice, but he incorrectly measured the space. I also have to follow up on the financing because we put a lot of money down but it's not reflected in the financing. We just did our first month. I was waiting for things to get in place and then call American Standard. The salesman had all the information. The installation was scheduled and the workmen came, but they didn't begin construction because of the measurement. The item had been delivered to them, and they brought it in the house, thinking that they would be able to make it work. They double-checked the measuring, and the item was too big for the space.

The workmen didn't want to demolish the whole route to the bathroom and then get it there and it be off. They elected to take that back out of the house and put it back on the truck. It took a couple of weeks for it to be reordered, but when they came back to install the the proper size, the guys were really good and the quality of work is excellent. The showerhead is very nice and the quality of the product is really good as well. It has the jets, but the feature I love the most is the drain motor. The tub is very comfortable. I also have all these different aromas I can put in, but I haven't used them.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, Karen. We truly appreciate your feedback as it helps us improve.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

The sales representative was good. He sold us, and he was very thorough, polite and nice. We got the lowest-priced walk-in shower, and installation day was great. The crew that came out was awesome. We even left for a doctor’s appointment and came back, and they had finished and kept the house clean. Our walk-in shower has a seat in it that we can pull down and use, a big showerhead, and a handheld shower. It’s also got two shelves in there. It’s white and it’s pretty.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for your business and for taking the time to leave a review, Laura. We're happy to have you as part of the American Standard family!

American Standard Walk-in Baths Company Information