4.03/5
Based on 220 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Standard upholds a longstanding history of excellence. For over 140 years, we have been a leader in providing bathroom product solutions. Through our quality engineering and innovation, we help our customers preserve their safety, comfort, and independence. Our walk-in baths come equipped with a RevitaJet™ hydrotherapy system, Quick Drain® system, and 44 strategically placed air and water jets for the ultimate in therapeutic comfort. We also offer a lifetime warranty for the tub, installation, and labor. With a strong legacy to support us, we raise the standard for all walk-in tub needs. Contact us today.

American Standard Walk-in Baths Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 21, 2018

230 American Standard Walk-in Baths Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 21, 2018

American Standard has excellent products. It’s a brand that has been around a lot longer. Plus, I got a good deal with them financially. Their sales representative was very courteous and very nice. During installation, the installers ran into problems as the representative who sold me the tub didn’t measure the installation properly. It turned out the guys had to widen the doorway and take out a wall to get the tub in. It took them an extra day to do the extra work. But the installers got the problems solved right away and it turned out fine. They were excellent people. The walk-in tub is okay but the installation and the warranty were the two things that I appreciate the most.

Get expert buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 20, 2018

My mother bought an American Standard walk-in tub and they didn't think it out really well for her. They put the reach bars way out of the way. She's 97 and she really could use the grab bars. But when she's sitting down and reaches her arm straight out, she doesn't come near to the bar that they put in without trying to get up first and that's where the danger lies for her to fall. It needs to be at her elbow. Also, one bar is on the left side but my mom's right-handed and it isn't easy for her to get up that way. People have to be really careful where they put those grab bars. The only way they could have done it so she could use it would be if it was on the door.

You can't fill the tub ahead of time either. You have to get in it, lock the door and then run the water. My mom has never filled it up to the seat because she gets so cold. It takes forever for it to fill up and she has to sit there wet after the water goes out until it gets cold. So she tries to go ahead, wash and get through before it gets full of water. Then once, I forgot to lock the door and the pressure of the water pushed it open. It flooded the bathroom and I had to pay for it. Now I remember to lock it every time.

When you got to turn the shower on, I can hardly do it so my mom definitely could not ever do that on her own. The whole purpose of getting the tub was so my mom can take her bath by herself but she still can't. It's not what we thought it was gonna be and we wouldn't do it again if we had the chance. They never reached back to see if it was okay either. They were not bad when they were here but we figured they would call us. We issued one complaint and we had to have them come out and check and make sure the water wasn't leaking underneath. The guy who came out initially called about that but that was the only thing. The guy just never came back or called back.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We are sorry to hear about your experience, Sue, and we want to make sure you are completely satisfied with your walk-in tub experience. Please reach out to our Customer Care Team at 855-225-2183 so that we can help!

Original review: April 19, 2018

I had a very good experience with American Standard's rep and he left me information where I could reach him. Also, the two guys who came for the installation were great. The tub is great, and I enjoy it. When my brother-in-law made a 1600-mile trip from Arizona going here for the eclipse, he was not only dirty but he was very tired from the trip. He took a bath in the tub and he said it was wonderful. It rejuvenated him. I even have friends who want their time in the tub for their birthday.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We're so happy to hear you and your visitors are enjoying your new tub, Nancy. Thanks for taking the time to leave a review!

Original review: April 19, 2018

I have rheumatoid arthritis in my knees and we were convinced that a walk-in tub is what I needed. I can sit in that tub and the jets will blow on my knees and then massage my arms and feet. Instead of getting out in the winter and go to the fitness center to get in the whirlpool, I can do my exercises in my walk-in tub. We called American Standard and a guy from Texas came out and gave us a demonstration at our convenience. I was impressed by his honesty. He told me it was my decision and he was just gonna show me the benefit. And he wasn’t one of those guys who pushes to make us buy. We didn’t feel like we were made to buy. After he demonstrated it, we thought about it. Then they came out and measured everything.

The installation was outstanding. They came in and did everything they had to do and got out of our way. While they did an excellent job, my only regret is that I had the installer put the long panel on that tub to pull yourself out straight up and down instead of crossways. Still, our American Standard tub is one of the best investments we’ve made.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for your business and taking the time to leave a review, Carrie. We'd be happy to answer any questions you may still have. Please give us a call at 855-225-2183 so we can help!

Original review: April 18, 2018

American Standard had a better warranty than other companies, and the interactions we had with their sales reps were excellent. The installers also did a great job. There was a piece of wood left out that should’ve been butted against the tub and a couple of small things but they came right out and fixed it right away. We have the tub for six months now and my wife loves it. I'm very happy with it and I would highly recommend American Standard.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for your business and taking the time to leave a review, Raymond. We're pleased to hear your wife is enjoying your new tub.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Standard Walk-in Baths?

Original review: April 17, 2018

We've had a fine experience with American Standard. When we talked to their salesman about the different companies, about some other brochures we had and that we’d look around, he told us with the pros of the tub we got and the pros and cons of the other tubs that we did not get. The installation went well but one jet was not working so I called and they sent the installer back out to look at the jets. But when he was filling up the tub, he forgot to lock the door and flooded our bathroom and part of our new carpet.

I called and talked to someone at American Standard. I told them the problem and that the carpet was ruined as soon as he got in. I asked who was going to pay for my carpet because I just installed it. It was a couple months old. They gave me somebody out in Texas somewhere. And this lady said that she would call the next day but I never got any calls back. So I had to call them and tell them that as of that point, the carpet looked fine. But there was no follow up on the experience that we had there. Other than that, everything else was fine. I would tell others to give me a call and try out the tub. We enjoy our tub. Although we don’t use it every single day, it works very well when we have backaches.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for reaching out to us, Gary. We'd like to look into this for you. Please reach out to our Customer Care Team at 855-225-2183 so that we can help!

Original review: April 17, 2018

We needed something that could help my wife out enough in the shower. She signed up for the walk-in tub of American Standard. She wanted this tub so I had to get it. The reps were all very good. The installers were excellent and they did a very nice job. But my wife said that they scratched up our vinyl front porch and the wood in our bathroom when they were taking out the other stuff. Also, we weren't told that there was a senior's discount for the tub. Nevertheless, the walk-in tub works fine and makes it easier for my wife to get in the shower because she doesn't have to step over the tub. I would recommend American Standard to friends. I would tell them that the walk-in tub is a great quality product and if that's what they need, they should look into it.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thanks for the praise, Larry. We'd like to look into what has happened with the discount option. Can you please reach out to our Customer Care Team at 855-225-2183 so that we can help?

Original review: April 16, 2018

American Standard seemed to be the best company and their installers did great. They came back and took care of everything that needed to be taken care of. We’re enjoying the walk-in tub we got from them really well. I use it every time I take a bath. I have to have it. If other people really need it like my wife and I did, then the American Standard walk-n tub is a great idea. It was expensive but it’s well worth it when you take into consideration the chance of falling in the shower or falling somewhere else while taking a bath.

Original review: April 15, 2018

In one of the calls that I got from Medicare affiliates that told me what kind of things I was entitled to get, I got an American Standard walk-in tub. The installation was really good and the crew did everything they said they were going to do except one thing. They didn’t put the baseboards back down. Nobody ever came to fix it so my son finally fixed it. But as far as what they did and on the site, they were fine. They were professional and they explained everything to me. It was just that the follow through on the repairs to my bathroom didn’t happen although I called them about it. It may have been a local contractor type thing. Nevertheless, I've recommended them to others.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for your business and taking the time to leave a review, Julia. Hopefully, your concerns have been resolved through our Customer Care team already, but if not please contact us at 855-225-2183. Thank you!

Original review: April 15, 2018

The tub I had was unsafe and I really needed to something. I started comparing products on the internet. KOHLER has a good product and they stand behind their products, so I called them first. But their price was thousands of dollars higher. I chose American Standard for the price as well as their reputation. There are other companies out there and they didn't have the name reputation, and I was really strong on that. Then, as soon as I signed the contract with American Standard, people came out of the woodwork telling me about their bad experiences with other companies. It was great concern that I'd made a wrong choice but I didn't meet anybody that had an experience with American Standard.

My experience with American Standard Walk-In Tubs was excellent. I had redone a shower through Home Depot a few years before that but we didn't test whether or not the water turned on. And for a while, we didn't find out that the water wasn't working because it was an extra shower. So, American Standard did it the way I wanted it done and they tested it. Part of what they do at the completion is to use a stopwatch and they fill the tub. And then, they mark that on the last form that you sign before they leave, so that it filled in this amount of time. And then they empty the tub and fill that time in.

The American Standard rep was very personable. He was informed about his product and he was able to answer all my questions without having to say, "I'll get back to you." He was a good salesman, he was very relaxed, and there was no high pressure. Also, American Standard has a really good process. Once they make the sale, they assign you to a person who then becomes your liaison for all things. Her role was to answer all my questions, but I asked them questions that only the installer could answer. What they did was put me in contact with the installer, which was unusual. The installer was really the lead installer and he was a really nice guy. But he was a little uncomfortable talking to the customer and he said it was unusual that we talked. But the whole process worked out.

The actual installation was one day but we had to delay it several times. The contract was signed right about this time last year but it was installed in June because I decided I had to remove two doors to do it. My boyfriend works and it was very nice that the installers were very cooperative scheduling and of moving the date further. It took all the pressure off us. Also, American Standard didn't make the tub until they had an install date. So, the factory was very cooperative too, and all of this was coordinated through the liaison.

I am mobile and I happen to like to take soaks. The previous tub was a garden tub that had a platform around it and it had a step. But I never thought of using the step as that was like a deathtrap. It was as much work to get in that tub as it was to get on a horse and it was not a good scenario. I was looking towards the future and I wanted to have something that I could soak in safely. And that's when I got interested in the American Standard walk-in tub. I'm a retired nurse and with everything I do to the house, I'm looking at a future sale even if it's 15 years down the road. With everything surrounding it, I basically have a handicapped bathroom. I've got a good product in there and it's engineered well.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 14, 2018

The man from American Standard came out to talk to me, and I took the tub like he gave it and decided that was what I wanted. The installation was amazing. The guys who did it knew exactly what they had to do. And they didn't have any hiccups or doubts at all on the installation. But I would not buy one again, and I would not recommend one for anybody.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for reaching out to us, Jim. We would like to make sure you are completely satisfied with your walk-in tub experience. Can you please call our Customer Care Team at 855-225-2183 so that we can help?

Original review: April 13, 2018

We have an American Standard walk-in shower but we are not really satisfied because we were talked into buying it, and it is not exactly what we use. We wanted a simpler one, and we looked for a shower where we can easily walk in and sit down. But we don't use the extra features which are there. They're useless to us. We would have to buy a new water tank to use them and we'd need more water to use them properly. It is perfect for someone who can use it, but we don't use everything that it gives us. I wouldn't recommend it.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I like my American Standard walk-in tub. I learned about it online and I picked them over others since they offer a lifetime warranty. The tub installation went fine and I feel safer using it. I'd tell anyone interested with American Standard to check them out.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for choosing American Standard, Norman! We're happy to hear that you're enjoying your tub.

Original review: April 12, 2018

American Standard Walk-In Baths' rep was pretty clear and he was a very nice fellow. The installation team did a good job as well. My wife uses the tub more than I do and she likes it. I was well pleased with American Standard.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for your business and taking the time to leave a review, Johnnie. We're happy to have you as part of the American Standard family!

Original review: April 11, 2018

I had a wonderful experience with American Standard. The people who installed it were marvelous. It could not have been better. I had written in, online, saying I was interested. The next thing I knew, someone phoned me and wanted to know more about it like where it had to be installed. I told them to tell me how soon they could do it and then I would be ready. They thought it could be about mid-June but it was somewhat later. They probably had too many people filled in at the same time that I wanted it but it all got done beautifully and I have loved it.

Later on, while the men were installing it, they wanted to know if the toilet arrived and I told them it didn't. They told me to let them know if it did because if they were here, they could install it. Otherwise, they would have to find somebody else. They found somebody who was in my same zip code, but they were some distance away from us. I hadn't heard from the people before but the two that they sent in to do the job were here a very short time, and everything has been splendid.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I’m old enough so I need help. A lady that lives about 10 miles came in and we were both employed with Home Care in this county. She was so wonderful, so I got in touch with her when I got to the point that I needed help because I knew how good she was and I asked her to come and help me and she said she would. So, she came here and my daughter and her husband decided to move in with me because they didn’t think I was able to do it alone in my house and I did not want to leave my house. I wanted to stay here because I love it here and I’ve been here since 1948. She had American Standard Walk-In tub installed and she loved it.

The local plumber said this house was too small and there was no way they could get one of those tubs in here. My daughter said I’m not moving in there unless we had one of those tubs, so we called the salesman and it was okay for him, but he sold us the most expensive one. That disappointed me because we really couldn’t afford $15,000 for that tub. And it never occurred to any of us to ask if they had a little less expensive one. We got a letter in the mail that we could have gotten a thousand dollars back but he wouldn’t budge on that. The person that recommended this tub to us said that if they sold a tub to someone that they recommended it to, they could get a thousand dollars. I called the salesman and he just wouldn’t listen and he said there was no way. I just found out that we’re older and an easy target and they took advantage of that.

I love that tub. I used to hate taking a shower and now with that lovely tub, I have no problem at all, putting my leg over that high tub side and trying to get it situated in there. It took the installers one day to install it. They were extremely efficient and very professional and did a wonderful job. They cut a hole in the bedroom next to the bathroom and slid the tub in there. The only trouble was our water heater isn’t big enough and we can’t afford the $1,800 to get a bigger water heater, so we can’t use the jet tub. But other than that, I’m really happy with it. Everything went well as far as the installation went and I was really pleased with the people who put it in. My experience with American Standard Walk-In Tubs was okay. The people were good and professional. And the lady that comes and helps me says that it was very complimentary of the installation that they did.

Original review: April 10, 2018

We were not happy with the process once we signed the papers. The tub was of great quality but our salesman dropped off the face of the earth and there were issues with the different workman, for instance the electrician they contract with I swear was high when he showed up. Later on another project we had to redo all the wiring. Cost us about 1500 on top of what we paid. The products were not explained only the one tub they were pushing at the time. I have long legs and the tub installed was too short and we paid over 12K for a tub that could not get full use out of. There were many construction issues and I won't go into those. The local managers and home office contacts really tried to work out the difficulties. It was just an all around bad experience.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Sorry to hear about this, and thank you for bringing it to our attention, Jodi. The information you provided is important to us and has been shared with the leadership for further review and action where appropriate. We want to assure you that drug usage from any of our contractors is strictly forbidden. Your walk-in bath and the workmanship comes with a limited lifetime warranty. We will reach out directly to follow up with you about any issues you have outstanding.

Original review: April 10, 2018

My American Standard walk-in tub works well and I love it. The sales rep I had did a good job and I liked him too. The installers were good as well but they were not top-notch. They did not make it clear to me that they won't do any painting. I was left to do the painting on the wallboard myself, which was okay, but they didn't tell me at the time.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Everything was okay with American Standard, except that they left a gap in the wall on the seat end of the thing. The people next door on both sides moved out and now, all of a sudden, we had a problem with rats. I had to seal it up to make sure the rats don't come in that way. The main reason we got the tub was for Carol because it was hard for her to climb in and out of the other one. Carol loves the tub, and it's what we expected.

Original review: April 9, 2018

The American Standard team did a terrific job and I’m very pleased with them. I knew that they were a long-time company and that they would be more dependable. There are dealers locally but I decided I would rather deal directly with the company. The salesperson was very nice and very informative as to what options I had and what would fit my budget. I called him one time or two for information and he called me right back. And the installation was amazing. They installed the tub in here at 10:00 that morning and by 5:00, they were through. It’s not hard to get into the tub. Then, I thought I was having some problem so I called and they came and checked it out for me. They made some special trip from South Louisiana up here to do it. I would highly recommend American Standard and I already have told one gentleman.

Original review: April 8, 2018

My husband wanted to get a hot tub from American Standard. Their sales rep was fine and he gave us good customer service most of the time while we were there. We got a leak in our tub, but we couldn't find it. We’ve had someone from our homeowner's insurance come and they said that they couldn’t find the evidence. But our water bill doubled. My husband got to use the tub twice before he passed away, but I've used it too.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We'd like to look into this experience for you, Ann. American Standard Walk-In Tubs have an exclusive patented door system – which is guaranteed to for the life of tub. Please reach out to our Customer Care Team at 855-225-2183 so that we can help!

Original review: April 8, 2018

Our American Standard tub is a good one. The installers did well. It was not an easy installation, but they got it in and it works fine. I had it put in for my wife as there is no other way to give her a bath. She has emphysema, and I can’t take her in the shower because she can’t breathe in the steam. I called American Standard two times and tried to get a receipt, but they keep telling me the contract is the receipt. But everything has been fine other than that.

Original review: April 7, 2018

The American Standard Walk-In Tubs sales rep came out here to the house and my husband was in the hospital at that time. I was trying to prepare the house so that he could get around comfortably when he gets home, as far as bathing and stuff. This gentleman was very kind, very informed and just went over everything and answered all our questions. We got it going and got it started. And I'm just enjoying it so much. It's a great product and I'm just enjoying it every day.

When my husband got out of the hospital, he was unable to even walk. And it was just perfect that we could roll into the bathroom, and he could transfer over to the seat that's built into the shower. It's all one piece. It's so nice, clean and pretty, and it has been very helpful. Now, my husband is up and flying. He's made a wonderful recovery. It's been a year and we're just grateful. Now, he's moved on to his bathroom, which is upstairs. I now have my American Standard all for myself and I love it.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We're very pleased to hear your husband has recovered, Audrey and that you are enjoying your tub. Thanks so much for the praise!

Original review: April 7, 2018

American Standard's sales representatives and installation team did good jobs. But we had problems with a few things from the tub and I felt like their customer service was sort of lousy. They didn’t get back to me quickly enough. Still, we are very happy with the product. I’d recommend it.

Original review: April 6, 2018

My husband has Parkinson's and it was hard for him to sit down in a tub. We talked about getting a walk-in tub and it was something he really needed. We got the American Standard walk-in tub and the installers were professional. They went downstairs to make sure the pipes were the way they should. They tested with the water in it and showed us how to work it. It has been a long time since we've had the tub and it has been easy for my husband to get in and out of it. I would recommend American Standard.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We're happy to hear that your tub is working well for your husband, Karen. Thanks for taking the time to leave a review of your experience.

Original review: April 6, 2018

American Standard did a good job. I called and asked if they had a shower, and the rep I spoke to was great. They completely rebuilt my bathroom. It was a separate tub shower so, the bathroom had two rooms. The first room was the sink and the toilet, and then the next door was the laundry with the shower. Their job paid off.

Original review: April 5, 2018

American Standard was the company that was able to do the whole modification. They got me in touch with the contractor that did all the room modifications as well as the bathtub. The sales representative was good and the installers were wonderful. The team was really receptive and they called us with any information they needed. I need the bathtub repaired right now though. I had a rat that ate all the hoses and I'm trying to get some parts to get my tub working again. It's gonna be expensive but it's fine 'cause stuff happens. The bathtub is a great device and I would recommend American Standard. If I was gonna get a walk-in tub, I would get theirs.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I had a walk-in shower while my friend had a walk-in tub and was quite satisfied with it. With the walk-in tub, it's been a lot easier for me to get into the shower. Because previously, I had a jacuzzi tub in there which was very hard for me to step over at age 80. So that made a tremendous difference. Dealing with the in-home sales representative from American Standard was wonderful as well. They took care of what they said that they would take care of and they did it very efficiently. Their customer service is very good too. I had a leak at one point and I called them. They sent somebody to take care of it so that worked out as well. The company stands behind their product and I would recommend them. They're doing a fine job.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for your business and taking the time to leave a review, Rose. We're happy to have you as part of the American Standard family!

Original review: March 25, 2018

I liked the American Standard walk-in tub and it looked like it would be so comfortable and a good way to take a bath. I had hesitated about getting this tub for a long time, but then I finally did. The sales rep of American Standard was good and I found him pleasant to deal with. But it took the installers a few days to get the tub installed and it was messy in the house while the installation was going on, but that's about the only gripe I have. The installers were quite courteous and they cleaned up pretty well after themselves. I now have an American Standard walk-in tub, but I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. It's complicated and I have some questions like how do I get the water warm and how do I let the water out. I'd tell people that the American Standard walk-in tub is a little complicated to use and they have to get used to it.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for your business and taking the time to leave a review, Jeanette. We'd be happy to answer any questions you still have. Please give us a call at 855-225-2183 so we can help!

Original review: March 24, 2018 I like the reputation and features of American Standard. I like the handle and the way the door swings in. I'm a tall guy and the room is enough for me. I also like the sit down features and a lot of things for my dad. The sales rep had good information. Also, the main installer was great and his helper was unprofessional.

The helper wasn't doing stuff right and wanted to get home and they got into an argument in my driveway. I had to go out there and say, "Hey, here bring it inside" or "Knock it off. I've got neighbors."

The installation timeframe was met relatively close. It took two to four days. However, there were some features that they did that I don't care for. For instance, the surface around the tub is not angled for water to dip back into the tub. The manager called me to see how it was and I told him about that feature and he said, "Yeah, they've had complaints." They talked to the factory but nothing has been done to correct it. Look for that flaw either in American Standard or another tub if they have redesigned it.

American Standard Walk-in Baths expert review by Shelley Webb

American Standard has a company history stretching back over 130 years. As a manufacturer and distributor of numerous kitchen and bathroom appliances that include walk-in tubs, American Standard products can be found almost anywhere.

• Low step height: The step into an American Standard tub is just 3 inches in height. This is lower than most standard step-ins.

• Optional quick draining: You can choose to install an optional quick-drain system that drains standing water as quickly and efficiently as possible.

• Spa options: American Standard walk-in tubs can be upgraded with air massage, whirlpool massage or combination massage options. Aromatherapy and chromatherapy options are also available for purchase.

• Price listings: American Standard lists prices for their tubs online. Prices range between $5,209 and $10,980, and most tub prices that include extra features are also listed online.

• Support: American Standard provides several support guides, repair guides and installation videos. Their robust online parts store makes it easy to look up replacement parts for your walk-in tub.

• Best for: senior citizens, people with limited mobility, people with chronic joint pain and individuals considering aging-in-place features.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb

Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

American Standard Walk-in Baths Company Information