Call toll free
4.36/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Selecting a Walk-In Tub may not be an easy process but American Standard can make it easier. For over 140 years, we have been a leader in providing innovative bathroom products. We have helped thousands of customers bathe in safety, comfort, and independence. Our Walk-In Tubs customers love our unparalleled RevitaJet™ system, a hydrotherapy system with 44 strategically placed air and water jets. Our patented Quick Drain® fast water removal system pumps out the water from the tub so you are not left in the cold while it drains. We also offer a Limited Lifetime Warranty on the tub, installation, AND labor—with a strong legacy to support us, we’ve raised the standard for walk-in tubs. Contact us today for a free consultation.

American Standard Walk-in Baths Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

American Standard walk-in tubs come in a variety of customizable deep soak and massage models. Installation is available, but not included in the purchase price. Models start around $5,000.

PROS

• Transparent pricing
  • Up to 44 jets available
  • Customizable soak and massage tubs
  • Quick and Minute Drain tech
  • Self-cleaning available

CONS

• Installation cost varies
  • Limited warranty

Top American Standard Walk-in Baths Reviews

06/26/2019

...Most accidents happen in the bathroom and I can’t tell how many older people I [know] who fell in the bathroom because of their tub. So, we went ahead and changed the tub out. It was expensive, but it was worth it.

06/27/2019

I had a stroke, and I had a hard time taking a bath... The sales rep that came to my home was great... He answered all my questions. Then the installation went good...They got rid of the tub that was in there for me… Now, I can just get in and out of the tub, and I’m good...Everything’s great.

American Standard walk-in tub models

American Standard is a household name for dozens of home fixtures, but their line of customizable walk-in tubs is among the most impressive of their home appliance collections. American Standard walk-in bathtubs are available in four varieties: air baths, bathtubs, whirlpools and combo massage tubs. Their extensive selection allows consumers to choose a tub based on their comfort needs.

Model TypeCost Range
Deep Soaking Tubs$4,845 - $8,551
Walk-in Whirlpool Tubs$5,433 - $10,188
Walk-in Air Baths$5,844 - $10,624
Combo Massage Tubs$6,314 - $11,410

American Standard walk-in tub features

For comfort and safety, each American Standard walk-in tub includes built-in contoured seats, safety bar and textured bath floors. Most come fully equipped with a fast-fill tub faucet, handheld showering wand and color-matched drain and overflow. For units without fixtures, an American Standard walk-in tub faucet can be ordered separately.

In addition to standard safety features, most types of American Standard walk-in bathtubs include massage jets for relaxation:

• Air baths feature over 20 individual jets that deliver all-over, water-based massage therapy through tiny warm air bubbles.
  • Whirlpools include up to 13 water jets with an optional legs-only massage.
  • Combo tubs combine the benefits of air baths and whirlpools with up to 44 jets total.

To keep the massage jets clean, specific combo and whirlpool models also include ozone self-cleaning sanitation systems that aid the unit is running efficiently and cleanly.

In addition to massage jets, combo tubs users can also benefit from multi-colored chromatherapy. American Standard tubs equipped with chromatherapy use underwater LED lighting to add a color wash or flowing color sequence to your bath.

All units use American Standard’s patented technology to remove water from the tub in less than two minutes. This technology is usually called Quick Drain, although some larger models (60” x 30”) use Minute Drain technology.

American Standard walk-in tub prices

An American Standard walk-in tub cost typically ranges from $4,000 to $11,000, with a 28” x 48” soaking tub costing significantly less than a 32” x 60” combo tub with chromatherapy and ozone self-cleaning systems. Tub size, type, material and number of additional features affect the price.

To obtain an accurate quote, customers can schedule a no-cost, no-obligation, in-home safety evaluation. American Standard’s contractors determine prices based on:

• Bathroom layout
  • Doorway and hallway width
  • Electrical system
  • Existing plumbing configuration

American Standard provides a quote based on their evaluation, the type of walk-in tub you choose and the additional features you’d like.  American Standard also offers eighteen-month, no-interest financing for qualified applicants.

American Standard FAQ

What type of warranty does American Standard offer for walk-in tubs?
All American Standard walk-in tubs come with a lifetime warranty on the door seal, installation and labor. Acrylic walk-in tubs come with a 15-year warranty on the bathtub shell and 10-year warranty on all other components. Gelcoat walk-in tubs come with a 10-year warranty on the bathtub shell and five-year warranty on the components.
What’s the process for installing an American Standard walk-in tub?
Factory-trained, certified specialists fully install your tub, typically within one or two days. The install team also removes and discards your old tub. Once installed, the American Standard contractor tests your tub and explains operations. The in-home evaluation determines the installation cost.
What’s the difference between acrylic vs fiberglass tubs from American Standard?
Choosing between fiberglass or acrylic American standard walk-in tub depends on your budget, your ability to clean and maintain your tub and the location of your bathroom in your home.

Fiberglass American Standard walk-in tubs are less expensive and are made of lightweight material, good for two-story homes. However, fiberglass tubs can be more susceptible to chipping, cracking and failing. They can also stain and absorb water, which can lead to mold build up if not properly maintained.

Acrylic American Standard walk-in tubs are less susceptible to that physical damage and mold, but they are more expensive. The heavier material of acrylic makes it better suited for one-story homes, or at least bathrooms on the first floor.

Both tubs have the same 10-15 year lifespan.

Do we recommend American Standard walk-in tubs?

American Standard walk-in tubs provide a customized experience for users of any age. While prices start in the $4,000 range and climb to $11,000 or more, there are no hidden costs and no-interest financing is available. Quotes include installation and labor, and products are backed by a lifetime warranty. According to American Standard walk-in tub reviews, elderly and disabled customers find the units a helpful option for them to remain independent at home.

American Standard Walk-in Baths Reviews

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

American Standard Walk-in Baths is made here in America so that is a big thing right there. When Brett, the salesman, came here, he was here a couple of hours and I watched a couple of videos of how the products are made, where they’re made and where the parts come from. I was quite impressed with it. It was a little on the high side of prices for me ‘cause I’m old but I felt it was worth my health so that’s why I went ahead and did it.

We had a little problem with the inspectors for Cape Coral. First, they said it was passed then they said it was not. The plug had to be moved. It was not within a foot of the opening door so that became the little thing. The installation team was back in for about the third time and had to move the thing. They ended up putting a hole in the bedroom wall and putting a casing there, and putting it behind my dresser. I’m not sure how that made it better, but the electrician did pass it.

I understood what they said the first time and why it had to be where if they took the panel off, it could be unplugged right away. But this way, I told them, “If anything goes wrong and I hear something crazy, I’m just going out to the panel in the garage and cut the power to the whole thing because there is no way I could unplug anything.” That was the thing that I was kinda concerned about. But the guys worked really hard to make it work, make it right. They came back a few times and so far, ever since the last time they were here which is probably over a month now, there has been no problem.

I know of two people who really need a walk-in bath so I did put their names down and recommended them to American Standard. I see the one at work and it was for her parents but their bathroom is extremely tiny and she was afraid it wasn’t gonna work. I said, “Just have them come out and look. They will measure. They check everything. They check if you got a hot water tank and if they got room to put power lines in." The other one, she definitely needs it. Her legs are worse than mine. She barely hobbles around.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We appreciate your feedback and will be sure to share it with our team. Please don't hesitate to reach out to our Customer Care Team at 855-225-2183 if you need any assistance with anything.

Get expert buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I have a lot of pain problems and I couldn't get in the tub because I couldn't get out. So, I went and got a walk-in tub. I went to this company but they ripped me off and I got ripped almost $6,000. That was when I saw American Standard. I called their rep and he was very pleasant. He presented everything to me and he did a very good job. That was why I went with them.

Then, the contractors came up and did a good job as well but they had to widen the door and that left a three-inch open on one side and two inches on the other. There's a hole in my floor. I knew they had another job and they were trying to make their deadline. I was kinda lenient with them thinking they would come back but they did not come back and finish it. I got ceramic tile all through my house and I could have had it done, but I feel it's not right that I pay to have a carpenter to come in here and do that when they should come back and send somebody here to do it. All they have to do is get the tile cutter and put the other piece right across the threshold. Also, they never sent me my receipt. I had my check but nothing to show the warranty that I got what I got from American Standard's rep.

But other than that, I love everything about the tub including the lights. And I like the aroma thing that you put in the bath. I have to get used to adjusting the water, though. I have a hard time doing that because I don't like it really hot, but I have to get it hot enough for the flow. Also, I wish my bathroom was a little bigger where I could have had a little longer one with my long legs. But it's a nice tub and I'm happy with it. It makes me like a lightweight. I just wanna go lay down. It's that kind of mood. I tell people about American Standard all the time, "You would wish you have one." And when I tell them about it, they say, "Oh, I wish I had one of them." It's just like a spa, a Jacuzzi, and all that rolled in one. It's not just for old people, like people think. It's for anyone.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thanks for your review, Nathalia. We're very glad to read how much you enjoy your new tub. We're sorry though that the installation wasn't properly finished. We've passed along your concerns to our team and someone will reach out to you soon to follow up on the issues you've mentioned.

Original review: March 10, 2019

We were thinking about remodeling the bathroom and we saw one of American Standard's deals on television. We gave them a call and the guy came. He looked it over and told us what it was gonna cost. I had thought about it and I said that I was getting a tub, a shower, and a Jacuzzi, an all-in-one thing. The installation team did a very good job. The problem was our doorways were too small and they had to take the doorjambs off. Also, the hallway was just a normal-sized hallway and it made it tough to get down from the living room through the hallway, then turn the corner and go into the bedroom.

It took them two days for the job. They drove a long way. They drove around four and a half hours to get here from where they lived in Missouri. I asked if they were staying in town, but they said they were going back home. They drove back home that night, then came back the next day. They stayed long days. They were there for about 10 hours to get as much done as they could. They were very good about it and they were very nice young men.

I’ve added a glass wall on top to help keep the water from going out of the tub without having a shower curtain. I added the glass on the front and it makes it look nice and makes it work well. The standing area is a bit small to stand on and take a shower and not standing on the floor drain. We still have V-shaped type door, although they have gone to a new one with an open square or rectangular type door. From the advertisements that I’ve seen now, it seems to be a wider opening and that is a good thing. I had them put the nozzle in the corner instead of in the center of the tub so that we would have more room standing. It is a little tight fit to walk in and out of, so that is one concern.

We had to add a second water heater to our house because we have a 50-gallon water heater, and when I would sit in the tub to use it as a tub, by the time it would get to my knees or thereabouts, it is empty. It is pumping cold water by the time it is up to my waist. We have to have a second water heater to make it work efficiently and timely. The only real trouble that I’ve had with the whole thing is the caulk around the side wall. When temperatures change outside, the house expands and contracts and I’ve had separation from the tub and the side wall. When you are taking a shower, you don’t want the water to go down to the side, therefore rotting the Sheetrock and the subfloor underneath it.

A tighter fit or some type of trim around the grout would work better. I’ve had to re-grout twice. I complained and they came up one time and fixed it and re-grouted it. When you grout, it takes a while to cut everything out and then re-grout, then you gotta wait 24 hours for everything to dry, so you are without a tub. We are lucky we have two bathrooms and tubs and showers. We also had to add a spacer or an extension. The installer put the floor drain in front of the tub instead of in the back. When we are taking a shower, the water hits the front wall, hits the spacer, then runs down the caulking line and runs down the side of the tub. That was another reason why I added the glass in front. Now, it directs the water back into the tub.

It is a great product, but for what I paid, sometimes it is not right. When we first got it, the first six or eight months have been a very good experience. But now, it has been almost two years that we’ve had it and if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn’t do it. I like the product, but the shortness in the shower is my biggest complaint. I have told other people about American Standard and told the good things and the bad things.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We very much appreciate your detailed feedback, Jeffrey! We want to make sure you are completely satisfied with your experience. Please don't hesitate to reach out to our Customer Care Team so that we can help with your concerns!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

The American Standard salesman that came out was already retired but had been called back to do a presentation for us. He was very professional, answered all our questions and we decided to get it. Paul and a couple of other workers came out from the Pittsburgh area, and by all respects, they did a fantastic job during installation. They were professional in every way. We checked over everything, and nothing has malfunctioned since then. They worked hard steadily and seemed knowledgeable.

The only thing is the caulking between the width of the longer side, is pulled away as it reached the wall, so I'm careful not to get the water in there. It's just a small crack that you can see that the water would go down there if you let it. My brother was visiting about a month ago, and he said I ought to caulk that up and make sure it's not a problem.

One thing I also learned about the tub is that it's a 60-gallon tub, and I had a 50-gallon water heater so when you get almost full, it runs cold. I changed my heating system. I was gonna get either a larger water heater or one of those tank-less water heaters. I started on the gas, tank-less water heater which actually is a good thing for the whole house because now we have more than enough hot water at any time. It's makes 9.8 gallons per minute. Then the kicker was on the gas and electric bills. The gas stayed the same and the electric bill went down $20 a month so that was sweet.

I understand now they have the ones with the heated seat. It circulates the water and keeps it warm. I've just been able to regulate it with the hot and cold water and the tank-less water heater. I can increase the temperature of the water at the unit and it stays warm enough. If I keep the door closed, I turn a little space heater on just to keep warm air in the room. I like warm air when I'm showering or bathing anyway. It's a very good sturdy unit, and it behaves well. American Standard is only offering the ones with the heated seat or recirculated heated water but I don’t see that as a problem.

If the water hasn’t reached the seat, then I'll just take a large cup and bathe it with some hot water, and I'll sit down right away. I found that the materials in the tub hold heat in so the side gets warm and hot, then it stays that way as long as the water's around it. I would recommend it to a friend. In fact, my regular plumber in town came by, and I was showing him the tub. He seemed excited about it. He said he has never really seen one and he finally saw one. I said, "Well, as you age, you have more stability in this walk-in tub, and you're not gonna slip-fall like you would in the shower or even in a regular bathtub." It's pleasant taking a bath sitting down.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience in detail, Darryl. We're delighted to hear you are satisfied with your investment and enjoying your new tub!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

My husband had two brain tumors and he was impaired that he could not get in and out of the shower safely. Our shower was small that even having a handicap seat would not work at all for him so it was a necessity that we do something that would be safe for him and that I would be able to bathe him and get him in and out fairly well. My husband and I looked at several companies and I showed him all of those that were available. He saw the name American Standard and being as old as we are, we went with a dependable company that has been around for a while. We also like the quality and dependability of the products that American Standard sells. We got in touch with Liberation and then a gentleman that had a vast experience not only with the prior company came out. At that time in our life, this was greatly needed because of the situation with our existing shower and garden tub.

The sales rep was very pleasant and everything went perfectly as far as the product and what would happen during the installation. We had a little issue, however, on the financing and I think it was because we made a quick decision that we wanted it. We were with the understanding that I could pay the tub off with x number of months and when the paperwork came in, we went ahead for it. I thought we could do it like the Lowe's or Home Depot where they would give us a special within a time frame. If we got that paid off, we didn't have that interest that has accrued, but if we failed to do that, then that would kick in.

There was almost 10% interest, however, that was really not acceptable, so we took a home equity. I thought that they had said that 18 months was the time frame and I was paying $700 per month. Then as things settled down, I began to read and reassess what was actually going on. I realized that although the tub was something that was a necessity for my husband, it is not a good investment for us. $200 is a lot on the pocket. Nevertheless, we're fine now. I understand everybody has to make a little on the side but we were thinking that we were paying somebody's car payment.

The installation crew that came was fantastic, nevertheless. We liked the main installer and the gentleman who assisted. They did a great job on prepping and cleaning up, and we're very pleased with the product. The only issue I have is the adjustable little knot that's on the bottom of the drain. One time we put lots of water in and I had to pour the water out of the tub into the toilet so that the drain would come up. But once I figured out how to adjust it, it's not slipping anymore. I add some water pressure down there on the stopper and it drains very efficiently. As time goes on, my husband's mobility has become more limited and even on good days, I can't bathe him by myself. Every day that he can move more smoothly, it may take him up to 20 minutes getting in the tub. Once he's in, however, he enjoys the tub and loves it.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for telling us about your experience with us, Mae. We really appreciate your feedback and are glad to hear your husband enjoys your new ????. Thank you so much for putting your trust in American Standard!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Standard Walk-in Baths?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

I had the American Standard tub for a couple of year before the paint began peeling around the door and was chipping at the handle and top corners on the entrance to the tub. American Standard said it was under warranty and said they would repair. That promise was made about a year and half ago and work has never started. Their excuse is that they do not have a repair company in my area and they need to find someone. Hard to believe that an area like the San Francisco Bay Area would not have a rep. I have tried 7 to 8 times during the year and a half and each time they promised that they will find someone. DO NOT BUY THIS TUB IF YOU LIVE IN THE SF BAY AREA. Not sure about other parts of the country. And why would the paint peel on the door? Poor quality or poor design?

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We're sorry to hear this, Larry. We will be passing this along to our team, someone will be reaching out to you.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

Purchase date: 6/27/2019. My wife and I are 82 years of age. In negotiating entry and exit from our full sized jacuzzi bathtub was causing safety and convenience issues. Although the installed price exceeded $17,000, we decided the price of what we thought would be a better, safer, option was worth it. THE LIFETIME WARRANTY ON THE TUB, SERVICE, AND INSTALLATION WAS A MAJOR SELLING POINT. The installation took the better part of two days. My first use of the tub resulted in some surprises.

*I had asked the sales agent for the INSIDE length of the tub. I was quoted 51 inches. It turned out to be about 44 inches. 51 inches was the Outside length. I am 6+ ft. tall; the tub is too short to consider having my head even near the head rest. Half of my upper body is out of the water. *Second surprise was the length of time to fill the tub. While sitting in a cold tub, naked and almost shivering with a cold rear. I prayed that the tub would finally fill. *The functions did work as advertised (air & water jets, fast drain, lights, etc.) The installer could not find a suitable place for the out-of-tub grab bar, so he gave us a grab bar still in the box. Exiting the tub with the single in-tub grab bar is difficult but doable at present. As we get older - maybe not.

*Next issue is that the lever on the water jet control fell off after the first week. We're still awaiting repair. The installer indicated he would have some proper glue sent to us for a do-it-yourself fix- but nothing showed up. *Next issue was that I discovered a half inch gap between the tub and the wall/window. If any small item fell into the gap it is lost forever. These issues have been reported to customer service and are awaiting repair. *We had assumed the "free" toilet would be a standard fixture like the one in the advertisement. Instead, we received one with a smaller, lower than expected seat and was equipped with a bidet. No one explained the features of the bidet. We never saw the toilet until it was installed.

*I admit that we should have recognized some of the disadvantages of walk-in tubs, such as waiting for the tub to fill while sitting in a cold tub,then waiting for the warm water to finally cover at least part of our body. Some of the features such as a heated seat, fast fill, and door that is larger and opens outward might, or might not have been available at the time of our purchase when our order was placed. Our walk-in tub is certainly usable at present. The door seal is leak proof at present, and functions are working as advertised. There are small inconveniences as well as the larger ones which can and should be changed.

*In conclusion, we recommend that the buyer consider carefully the disadvantages as well as advantages of walk-in tubs. Using standard tubs for most of our lives inhibits recognizing some issues that should come to mind - but don't. I have enumerated some. Review the specifications carefully. Do not depend on sales agent quoted specifications. After using our American Standard walk-in tub for two months, We should have looked at additional suppliers. At this time, I am doubtful that we would have selected this walk-in tub. Major bath changes are EXPENSIVE. They require more study than we gave our decision and selection.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We are very sorry to hear about your experience, Wes. We are passing this along to our team and someone will be in touch. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2019

Back in March of this year, I bought a brand new American Standard walk-in shower. The price, $8900. I also have a good warranty on this piece of crap! The day after I purchased it, things were already going badly. The shelves that come with the shower, fell off! American Standard blamed me. Now the Safety Seat is falling out of the wall, and it is no longer safe for me! I am disabled, and purchased the shower for safety reasons! I have tried to get American Standard to fix what is wrong, but they haven't done anything in 6 months! Now I am going to get The ADA involved, and I am attaining a lawyer, and I am going to sue American Standard. And I am going to win!???

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Hi, Lori. Thank you for letting us know. We have passed your concerns along to our team. Someone will be reaching out to you.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2019

My wife's granddad worked for American Standard years ago so we got a walk-in tub from them. However, our tub is not what we thought it was. The doorway is too small. The tub has a square door instead of that flip-flop door that they got on there, and the seat is not heated like the ad says. Also, the tub is not as big as it could be. It’s a big outside shell, but it’s a small interior. It’s not what it’s bragged up to be. The salesperson didn’t do his job like he should have. He should’ve showed us a brochure of all the different models that they had instead of one model.

The installation team seemed to know what they were doing and one installer was very good, but the other installer did as little as possible because he was too anxious to get back to his cigarette. He just opted to plug the seat into a wall outlet that was already there, instead of putting it in the back of the toilet which is where it was supposed to have been. Also, we need a new seat for the commode because it has a crack on it. It's 30 days old. That’s not normal.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for reaching out to us, Ralph. We'd like to look into this for you. Please reach out to our Customer Care Team at 855-225-2183 so that we can help!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

I'm on a wheelchair and although we had a handicap chair, it was progressively difficult for me to get over the edge of the tub and get in the shower. So we decided to get a walk-in shower. Besides, that tub had also been in there since '76. We had purchased two American Standard chair-height toilets to go in the other two bathrooms and we talked to the people at Lowe's about the American Standard shower. But I didn't get a clear picture of how the crew was going to install it, if it was somebody from American Standard or some jackleg contract guy. But it was great. What American Standard has been using are contract people and fortunately, we got a plumber.

The guy knew what he was doing and was efficient. The other two people with him were his son and a hired employee. They were all nice, courteous and very clean. They showed up early and looked after the flooring going from the door to the bathroom. When they had left, you wouldn't have known they had been there. I like the manifold for the shower, where you turn the water on and off. However, this is a summer home so in the wintertime, no one is here and we winterize the house. Ray said that there was no problem with that manifold and the draining. It's kinda strange but I'll have to take him at his word and anyway, I'll find out this winter. Nevertheless, I'd recommend American Standard. The quality of equipment that we bought and their installation were outstanding.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We're so happy to hear you had a wonderful experience with the crew. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Enjoy!

American Standard Walk-in Baths Company Information