2. Homeowners
  3. Walk-In Bathtubs

Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.53/5

American Standard’s walk-in bathtub selection includes a variety of soaker and jetted tubs, including water and air jets. All models include quick-drain technology, and certain models come with chromotherapy. The company shows all pricing info and exact models online, though you’ll need to get an in-home consultation to understand the full price (including installation).

American Standard Walk-in Baths Gallery (6)
BOTTOM LINE

American Standard’s walk-in tubs come in a variety of customizable deep-soak and massage models. It provides installation with the purchase of a walk-in bath. Features include chromotherapy and self-cleaning.

PROS
  • Transparent pricing
  • Customizable soak and massage tubs
  • Quick-drain tech
  • Self-cleaning features available
CONS
  • Installation cost varies
  • Limited warranty

Top American Standard Walk-in Baths Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Standard Walk-in Baths?

My wife... has difficulty getting into a tub. ... American Standard's reputation goes beyond other programs. Customer service was very fine and the installation took two days, which was what I was told from the beginning. The guy who did the work was very courteous.

Everybody from American Standard that I had to deal with was quite nice. The representative... answered any questions till I didn't really have any. I knew that American Standard was the brand I wanted. ...they installed it in one day. They did a nice job. They were very polite.

American Standard Walk-in Baths Get Started

American Standard walk-in tub models

American Standard is a household name for dozens of home fixtures, but its line of customizable walk-in tubs is among the most impressive of its home appliance collections. American Standard offers walk-in bathtubs in four varieties: air baths, bathtubs, whirlpools and combo massage tubs. Its extensive selection lets you choose a tub based on your comfort needs.

Model TypeCost Range*
Deep Soaking Tubs$4,845 to $8,551
Walk-in Whirlpool Tubs$5,111 to $8,411
Walk-in Air Baths$5,216 to $8,436
Combo Massage Tubs$6,420 to $10,556

*Cost ranges at the time of publishing may not include installation.

American Standard walk-in tub features

For comfort and safety, each American Standard walk-in tub includes built-in contoured seats, a safety bar and textured bath floors. Most come fully equipped with a fast-fill tub faucet, a hand-held showering wand and a color-matched drain and overflow. For units without fixtures, an American Standard walk-in tub faucet can be ordered separately.

In addition to standard safety features, most types of American Standard walk-in bathtubs include massage jets for relaxation:

• Air baths feature over 20 individual jets that deliver all-over, water-based massage therapy through tiny warm air bubbles.
  • Whirlpools include up to 13 water jets with an optional legs-only massage.
  • Combo tubs combine the benefits of air baths and whirlpools with up to 39 jets total.

To keep the massage jets clean, specific combo and whirlpool models also include ozone self-cleaning sanitation systems that help the unit run efficiently and cleanly.

In addition to massage jets, combo tub users can also benefit from multicolored chromotherapy. American Standard tubs equipped with chromotherapy use underwater LED lighting to add a color wash or flowing color sequence to your bath.

All units use American Standard’s patented technology to remove water from the tub in less than two minutes. This technology is usually called Quick Drain, although some larger models (60 inches by 30 inches) use Minute Drain technology.

American Standard walk-in tub cost

An American Standard walk-in tub typically costs from $4,000 to $11,000, with a 28-by-48-inch soaking tub costing significantly less than a 32-by-60-inch combo tub with chromotherapy and ozone self-cleaning systems. Tub size, type, material and any additional features affect the price.

To obtain an accurate quote, customers can schedule a no-cost, no-obligation, in-home safety evaluation. American Standard’s contractors determine prices based on:

• Bathroom layout
  • Doorway and hallway width
  • Electrical system
  • Existing plumbing configuration

American Standard provides a quote based on the evaluation, the type of walk-in tub you choose and the additional features you’d like.  American Standard also offers 18-month, no-interest financing for qualified applicants.

American Standard walk-in tub FAQ

What type of warranty does American Standard offer for walk-in tubs?
All American Standard walk-in tubs come with a lifetime warranty on the door seal, installation and labor. Acrylic walk-in tubs come with a 15-year warranty on the bathtub shell and a 10-year warranty on all other components. Gelcoat walk-in tubs come with a 10-year warranty on the bathtub shell and a five-year warranty on the components.
What’s the process for installing an American Standard walk-in tub?
Factory-trained, certified specialists install your tub, typically within one or two days. The installation team also removes and discards your old tub. Once installed, the American Standard contractor tests your tub and explains operations. The in-home evaluation determines the installation cost.
What’s the difference between acrylic and fiberglass tubs from American Standard?
Choosing between a fiberglass and an acrylic American standard walk-in tub depends on your budget, your ability to clean and maintain your tub and the location of the bathroom in your home.

Fiberglass walk-in tubs from American Standard are less expensive, made of lightweight material and ideal for two-story homes. However, fiberglass tubs can be more susceptible to chipping, cracking and failing. They can also stain and absorb water, which can lead to mold buildup if not properly maintained.

Acrylic walk-in tubs from American Standard are less susceptible to physical damage and mold, but they’re more expensive. The heavier material makes acrylic tubs better suited for bathrooms on the first floor.

Both tubs have the same 10- to 15-year lifespan.

How do I clean my American Standard walk-in tub?
American Standard recommends daily upkeep, weekly or monthly cleaning and occasional deep cleaning for walk-in tubs. After each use, rinse off the tub and fixtures with warm water to remove body oils and soap residue. For weekly or monthly cleaning, fill the tub with hot water to seat height, add low-foaming detergent and run the jets for about ten minutes. Drain the tub and fill it with clean water. Run the jets for 15 more minutes to rinse, then drain. For deep cleaning, use detergent and go through longer cycles with the jets to remove residue. Do not use harsh scrubbers on the tub.
What should I expect from an American Standard in-home evaluation?
American Standard offers a free in-home consultation for customers interested in installing a walk-in tub. A certified safety specialist will come to your home, take measurements of your bathroom and determine if the site is suitable for a walk-in tub. You will also receive an accurate price quote that includes the cost of professional installation.

Do we recommend American Standard walk-in tubs?

American Standard’s walk-in tubs provide a customized experience for users of any age. While prices start in the $4,000 range and climb to $11,000 or more, there are no hidden costs, and no-interest financing is available. Quotes include installation and labor, and the company backs its products with a lifetime warranty.

American Standard Walk-in Baths Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Standard Walk-in Baths?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

The bathtub we had in Canada was one of the very small ones from the 1960s. I couldn't even stretch my legs out in. Great for kids. When I had a house built, I thought, "It'd be so nice to have a soaking bathtub." We went to a surplus store and I saw one with the jets and I thought, "Okay, that's the one I want." I told my brother that because he was building our house. It was put in and I never even tried to get in it before. When I did, I realized I'm short. I'm 5'3" and my inseam is 22 inches and the bathtub was taller than that. I had to hold on to the safety bar and then hop over into the tub. I had one bath in it, and after that, it was nothing but showers.

We've been in this house for 10 years now and over that time, I had a heart attack. I also have sciatica, and I've got neuropathy in my leg, and I have some other health issues. I had a stent put in in 2017 and that helped a lot. Over the years, when you're getting ill, your life gets smaller, but you don't know it. I have AFib too. In early September, I got to go see my cardiologist again because we got onto Medicare. My heart was beating every four seconds at night sometimes and every second and a half in the daytime. That's why I was tired and exhausted and could care less about anything going on. I just had a pacemaker put in, so I'm feeling fine now.

My mom passed away in July, and she wanted me to get one of these tubs with the money that I got. I called up Kohler and they came out. The guy was very nice and he was telling us this, but he was always criticizing the other companies. They have a low step-in, which would have been nice, but I thought, "I'm also gonna check out American Standard." The guy who came out was nice and as friendly as the other guy. He also didn't criticize the others and he told me about his company's tub. The prices weren't that much different, but I liked some of the features that American Standard had. He was showing us the different samples and he said, "Think about it and give me a call back." With the Kohler guy, there was a special on and we had to do it then.

My husband and I talked after the guy from American Standard left and I gave him a call the next day and said we'd chosen them. I didn't realize how expensive the tubs were though. We got the basic one and it's $15,880-something, which is a lot of money, but to get all the bells and whistles, you're looking at about 25,000. I have better things to do with my money than to get those jets and colored lights. I also hadn't gotten the money from my mom yet, but American Standard had this thing where it was 0% this and 0% that and then when I get my money, I can pay it off. However, we didn't qualify for that because we don't have a credit card (we save up and use cash), but they had financing.

Because of COVID and everybody trying to get things done to their house, it took extra time for us to get the tub, but that was fine with us. I'd been without it for a long time. A couple of extra weeks wasn't gonna hurt. It wasn't their fault too. We then got a call from American Standard saying the tub was going to be here Tuesday on such and such a date, and I said, "That's fine. We're not going anyplace." One of the things I was going to do with my mom's money fell through. I called up on Thursday and I asked the rep, "Is it possible to put a quick drain in my tub?" She said she'll check it out, and I got a call back saying, "No problem." When the tub came on Tuesday, it had the quick drain and that bathtub drains in a minute and a half or a little longer. I love the quick drain.

American Standard worked with us. When our house was built, we had the doors made so a wheelchair could go in and out for the future. It was easier for the people that came out on Tuesday to get the tub into where the bathroom was. They didn't have to take out the frame, just the doors off. People need to be aware that they need to talk with American Standard about that. They also did measurements, so we knew what was coming. If we didn't know about it, we still would have gone ahead with it, but they would have had to have done a lot more work.

The people that came out to install had to drive an hour here, and then they would have to drive an hour back home. They got quite a bit done when they came and they were going to come back the next day, but they asked if it was okay if they were able to stay here and just finish it that day. It was fine with us, so they were here from 7:00 in the morning till 7:00 at night. They cleaned up everything. They left the bathroom great too. They didn't leave a mess anywhere, and they filled up all the little holes. They were wonderful. Where the showerhead had been, one of the people was able to cut down one of the tiles that I had that's now under the tub. He cut it down to make it look like it was a natural thing up on the wall.

I love the bathtub. I'm able to sit in there and have my feet and my legs soak in the hot water, and I haven't done that in years. Putting my feet in a little thing that only covers my ankles doesn't quite do it. It's also good for me to not just get a tub that I walk in very easily because it makes me use my leg, and it's not that hard to do it.

The bathtub is safe as well. I have been washing my hair in either the bathroom or kitchen sink, and I have to put my arms above my head to do that, but I have arthritis in my shoulders. With this bathtub, all I do is lean forward, get the showerhead and spray my hair and wet it down. I just bend my head to my arms and I can shampoo my hair easily and rinse it off. We also got a free bidet toilet. My husband says, "We don't need the bidet toilet," but that's what he likes best. He's 72 years old and he complains about things, but he ends up loving that toilet. He says, "That's the best thing ever."

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Adell, thank you so much for leaving this review. We're very happy everything worked out to your liking. Thank you for being a part of the American Standard family!

Get buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2020

The advertisement I saw about American Standard Walk-in Baths on Facebook is what really got me more interested in it. It was on there quite a bit, so I kept reading. My husband and I talked about it. We decided we really do need one of these. I inquired about it on Facebook and got a lot of information, and then we got a call from somebody that made an appointment to come out and talk to us about it. He was very friendly and even liked our dogs. We have a Schnauzer. We usually put him away when somebody comes over because he's really friendly and some people don't like dogs. But this man, he liked him so much. He explained everything really well and he didn't put pressure on.

The installers were fine. Those guys worked really hard. They never even stopped. They worked from morning until they got it done. They wanted to get it done in one day. I don't even think that they took time to eat. We offered to go to Subway or someplace and pick up something for them. They had to go all day without food. They said they were fine, and they just worked and worked until they got it in. I couldn't believe that they could work that many hours.

The person who was in charge explained everything. He wanted to be sure that we really understood everything because to me, it's a little complicated because there's air, bubbles and faucets. He had warned us about the noise that it makes about 20 minutes afterwards. I thought something was really wrong. I'm not really skinny. But I thought, "How am I going to shut the door 'cause it opens in?" But that was not a problem. He had me get in and open and close the door to make sure before they even put it in that it fits and then they did all the measurements. It was a lot of work. They had to take out the other bathtub, and the other toilet, and they did something to the wall.

They were very nice. I had no problems with the explanations. They were really good. The way he said was, "I'd better explain it to you again if I need to, rather than have you call me in Chicago, so I have to come back and tell you again." He wasn't being rude. He was kind of joking about it because with all these buttons and different things, you got to make sure you're not going to do the wrong thing, especially don't open the door. I had three guys in my house that I don't know, but I didn't feel uncomfortable at all for having them here.

We show the product to everybody when they come over. I've told people, "If you want to come over and try it out, be my guest. Because if you hurt, and I do, it really does help." My husband's a contractor too, retired, supposedly, but he's still not retired. When he hurts, he comes home and he gets in that tub. When he comes out, he feels so much better. We love it.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you very much for this detailed review, Judy. And thank you for letting us know who great the crew did, we will be sure to share this with them. This will make their day. Enjoy!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

I had always been interested in a walk-in massage tub and when I retired, I decided to get serious about looking into getting one. I started researching tubs and shower systems and I recognized the American Standard brand name. I found that other brands didn't have as many water and air jets. American Standard had a very good lifetime warrantee on parts AND labor. Naturally, I was a bit surprised at how massage tubs cost, but when I thought about it, a walk-in tub really is just another major appliance like a furnace or an AC unit. When I thought about the cost of having one split up over many years, I realized it was probably well worth it.

I had a salesman come over and Don showed me what the tub looked like, available Models and options and the features they had. He explained the price and what discounts were being offered. Since I didn't need the free toilet that was being offered at the time, I got an extra $500 off the price in addition to a senior discount, for a total of $1,500 in discounts. No rebates, just money off the bottom line. When I said I wanted one, he took measurements and we agreed on exactly which model I would order. I wrote a check for 10% of the cost. No hidden taxes - they were included in the price, and there were no extra fees. Don said that they'd call me to schedule an installation date. Which turned out to be about a month out.

The installer, Phil, called to arrange the exact time and date. Phil and his crew showed up right on time. Phil explained what exactly they would do and the time schedule to get it installed and when I could expect to take a bath. Gary the electrician went down to the electrical panel to run the new wiring and Paul the plumber and Phil did the demolition needed to put my new tub in. The next day they installed it and Phil filled up the tub and showed me exactly how it all worked - pretty darn easy, and Phil left me a book explaining it all and a number to call if I needed any help. The crew was efficient and wore masks to maintain Covid-19 safety for us all. They cleaned up after themselves and did a neat, professional looking job. Their workmanship was very good and they kept me updated as the work progressed.

I wrote a check for the balance due, and Phil and the fellas left with my thanks. After the caulk fried for 24 hours, I took a bath and I've only had to call with two questions! At the end of my rejuvenating bath, I soap up and I use the shower head to rinse off with. I did install a shower curtain but as it turned out I didn't need to. I can use the shower head and not spray the rest of the bathroom just fine. The curtain does provide for privacy if needed though, so maybe that was a good call. I'm very happy with my tub and have shared it with a couple of friends who both loved it.

I was surprised to find out that my electric bill didn't go up, and neither did my gas or water bill. The tub apparently uses about the same amount of utilities as my old tub and shower did. Although I was able to pay for the tub in full (thanks to my hard work and thrift over the years) They did have very reasonable financing available - it was a bit less than my Credit union would have charged. I just wish I had done it earlier in life! I'd urge people to look into it, check the other brands and prices and see what you think.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for the very thorough review, Richard. This information will be very helpful to people thinking about purchasing a walk-in tub. We're happy you're enjoying your new tub and we thank you for being a part of the American Standard family.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

I've seen the different styles and the different makers of walk-in baths. I was online and I clicked on the one I saw and it happened to be American Standard. They came out and talked to me, and we went from there. One thing that I really liked about their sales rep is when he came, he showed me his samples. I told him, "I don't need it now. But in the future, I've always thought that that's something I would like." I just bought this new home. When they did come to put the tub in a couple weeks later, they had to cut out a brand-new tub. I said to myself, “I'm gonna want this for five or six or seven years, and then I'm gonna go ahead and get one and wish that I had gotten it five or six years earlier.” I'm already old. I'm 72 and I thought, “Might as well enjoy it while I don't have to have it.”

When they came, they had to take part of the door frame down to get it around the corner and into the tub, into the bathroom. Where they put it back up, they filled it with putty and nailed and put it all back up and painted it. But they had to come the next day and sand it down and do it again. They did a wonderful job. I was so pleased. They said it might take two or three days for the installation of it. When the guys came, they were almost done towards the end of the first day. It wasn't even late into the first day.

I've used it about four times because I shower every day. I'll set my TV up in the bathroom and plug it in so I can watch it while I'm in the tub. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the fact you have to get in there, close the door, and then fill it up with water. Now, my water pressure is good. It's city water, and it's under good pressure. It seems like you sit there for quite a while. But once it's full, they can't make the water pressure coming into my house anymore. It fills as fast as it can fill.

I like that it's got the heater when I've got the jets on, and the heater is keeping the water warm as well. I like the quick drain. It's easy to clean. Just put a little bit of spray in there and then step inside to wipe it all down. My granddaughter's come over, and she's used it. She's 15, and she likes it. A friend of mine from over in Holly, Michigan spent a couple of nights here a couple weeks ago. She had some doctor's appointments in this area, so she came and spent a couple nights with me and she used it. She didn't use the tub part of it, but she closed the door and used the hand shower part of it. She loves it. She said she's gonna tell her long-time boyfriend who she lives with to get one too because they have two and a half baths. They might get one. I told her, "There's different kinds, so when you're ready, you call me back and I'll give you the brand. It's American Standard."

The guy that came and talked to me first and then the two guys that came and put it in, they told me that they work independently and they put all the different kinds in for different people. American Standard is their most favorite one to put in because it's so well-made. If they start thinking about changing any part of it, they need to talk to the guys that are putting it in and see what they need to change if they need to change it because they're very pleased with the American Standard.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for your business and taking the time to leave a review, Faith. We're happy to have you as part of the American Standard family!

Original review: June 3, 2020

American Standard's sales rep was very informative and was here for about an hour. He gave us a very good description of everything and that's the reason why we went with them. The installation was also very good. I was concerned about that especially during this pandemic and I put it off for one month because I thought it was gonna be traumatic for my husband with everything that would take place to install it. I was also hopeful that there weren’t any glitches and that it couldn’t go through, though we would’ve been left with a mess.

But when the gentleman and his assistant came, they were very efficient and the whole thing went very smoothly. It took a few hours and it was around 7 o’clock by the time they left. But I was very satisfied with their maneuvering around the house. Plus, they didn't mind my husband sitting there and watching what was going on. He’s an electrical contractor by trade, so he knows a lot of things but he didn’t interfere with them. I spent the time doing some cooking, so I sent them home with banana bread and some of the meal that I was making. They were quite taken back, but I’m sure they enjoyed it.

So far, we’ve been using the walk-in bath and we really feel that it’s sufficient for our needs. I don’t see any problems at the moment but knowing that I have a lifetime guaranty gives me peace of mind that if anything happens, it will be taken care of. I also like the safety issues of the tub which was the reason why I got it. My husband has Parkinson and sometimes he's a little unbalanced. So, I don’t have to worry if he decides to go in and take a shower on his own without me standing over. He likes it, too. At first, he thought he only had to take baths but he was surprised when I said we can set the shower up. They provided us with the shower bar and all, so now he’s comfortable on his own.

As for me, I thought I would have more of a room. I’m 5’7” but I was looking forward to a real Jacuzzi bath because in our other homes, we always had a Jacuzzi. Unfortunately, I realized I can’t sit down deep in our American Standard walk-in tub and that's one issue that I’m a little bit disappointed in. When I asked how to really soak in the tub, I was told I could lean down and so forth. But that’s not good for someone my height and it certainly wouldn’t be good for somebody taller than me. Both my husband are not heavy weight, so that’s why he said this tub would be sufficient. But they had to provide us with the tub that they did because of the space that we had and I can live with it because it’s nobody’s fault. Other than that, I’m not gonna let that known to anybody because all I’m doing is bragging about I have a Jacuzzi now.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We’re so happy to hear you’re both enjoying your new tub. Thank you for being a part of the American Standard family, Agnes!

Original review: May 3, 2021

After spending almost $19k, I saw the job when I got home and it needed to be re-done. That was January and was told he had to wait for American Standard to send him the supplies to re-do. This is May. A month ago I talked to a lady at american standard about the walk-in door leaking. I was told she was shipping a box to my house and to contact CJ about getting it fixed. No box. Have talked to CJ 3 times and no box and my wife has not been able to use her tub in a month. Service after the sales-not good. Cash the check very fast-yes.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We are very sorry to hear this, Richard. We will have someone reach out to discuss this with you.

Original review: April 30, 2021

American Standard's reps were very good. I am happy with them. The walk-in bath is the best thing I got. It has made it a lot easier for me to get in and out.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Happy to hear that, Kathryn! We're happy to have you as part of the American Standard family!

Original review: April 22, 2021

I love the American Standard walk-in tub. The sales rep explained everything and I was really pleased. If I went to see what the installers were doing, they explained what they were doing. They cleaned up after themselves and didn't leave a mess.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for your business and for taking the time to leave a review, Patricia.

Original review: April 15, 2021

American Standard's rep convinced me to buy the product. Then, the installation went very good. It took two days. I like the cleanliness. The shower’s fine, and I like the valves. I enjoy it.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for your business and for taking the time to leave a review, Warren. We're happy to have you as part of the American Standard family!

Original review: April 11, 2021

American Standard seemed professional. They gave a good sales pitch or demonstration. The agent knew what he was talking about and answered all my questions. The day the people came in to install it, they removed the old fixtures and put the tub in. It took them a good hard day. When they left it, the mess was cleaned up and hard to tell they were there, except for the new tub. It has a chair to sit down in, a big shower head, and a removable shower wand. I’m glad I got it. It's comfortable, easy to use, and it stays clean.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for your business and for taking the time to leave a review, Gary. We're happy to have you as part of the American Standard family!

American Standard Walk-in Baths Company Information