Call toll free
4.15/5
Based on 349 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Standard upholds a longstanding history of excellence. For over 140 years, we have been a leader in providing bathroom product solutions. Through our quality engineering and innovation, we help our customers preserve their safety, comfort, and independence. Our walk-in baths come equipped with a RevitaJet™ hydrotherapy system, Quick Drain® system, and 44 strategically placed air and water jets for the ultimate in therapeutic comfort. We also offer a lifetime warranty for the tub, installation, and labor. With a strong legacy to support us, we raise the standard for all walk-in tub needs. Contact us today.

American Standard Walk-in Baths Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

360 American Standard Walk-in Baths Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

The sales rep and installation team of American Standard were very nice. The installation was done in less than a day. The walk-in tub is a lot better for my wife. She's on a wheelchair and she couldn't take any baths before. She always has taken a shower and now she can take a bath.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for your business and taking the time to leave a review, Bobby. We're happy to have you as part of the American Standard family!

Get expert buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

We wanted to redo our bathroom. We had a tub, but we needed a walk-in tub because we were getting older, so chose a tub from American Standard and it has been over a year since they put it in. The sales rep was really good about everything. In fact, he told us that if I'm not gonna use the tub for at least two or three times a week, I shouldn't buy it, but we did anyway. The installation team was really great. As a matter of fact, they noticed that something was not gonna come out the way it was originally designed and it saved us about $1,500. My wife and I both like the tub, although the only thing that we don't like about it is it takes too long to fill up. I would like it to be filled up and just step in. Nonetheless, our experience with American Standard was great.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, Lee. We're pleased to hear you were satisfied with the sales and installation process. Welcome to the American Standard family and we hope you enjoy your new tub!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Good after fixing the issues! Enjoy the whirlpool very much. Was hard to get Repair person a lot of waiting. Like the commode that was installed. The caulking is starting to crack after a couple of years. But I would still purchase the tub.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We're thrilled to hear you are enjoying your walk-in tub so much! Please don't hesitate to call our Customer Care Team at 855-225-2183 for any concerns you have. Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

My experience with the American Standard walk-in tub has been mostly perfectly wonderful, but if I stand to use the shower, it really doesn't work very well. At the time it was installed, it would have been good to have a curtain or some top thing installed as well so that if I want to stand up and use the shower, I can do it without it going on the floor. I may try to get some curtains but we haven't succeeded yet in finding someone who is going to help us with this problem.

The person who worked with me was very nice and careful. He was from Vermont and he wanted to go home every night, which was fine but then he would be stopping at a Home Depot on the way down every day. Although the installation went very well and every spot was cleaned afterwards, the installation could have been quicker.

The troubles I've had with the tub have been minute, but because of the warranty problem, I had to get somebody from someplace to come and fix this tiny thing that takes five minutes. This has happened with the drain and one other thing. It was frustrating not to be able to get somebody out who is handy, but overall, I'm very happy with American Standard and I have recommended them.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thanks Winifred. We will take your suggestion of a shower curtain under advisement in future designs! Thanks for the positive review. We now things happen, that's why the lifetime warranty is not just on the tub but also includes installation and labor. Very few people can offer that.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I am very disappointed by the quality of this tub. I've had electrical problems ever since installation. The repair technician had to reset the circuit breaker in the tub several times. He finally taught my roommate how to reset the breaker but hasn't solved the basic problem of why it keeps blowing... I will say that getting an appointment is easy and the repairman is available at your time. However. for what I paid for it I'm disappointed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Standard Walk-in Baths?

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

American Standard sounded like they knew what they were doing. Their rep was okay but the installers made one mistake. They didn't fasten down the toilet, so it had a leak. Plus, they were slow. They said that the installation would take about 10 days but it took almost three weeks. American Standard didn't seem to have their crews well coordinated.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Hi George, Our customer service team will be reaching out to you today to resolve any issues you have encountered. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

The sales rep from American Standard was a really nice person. He went through everything and told me how everything would work and that was what really sold me. When my walk-in tub was installed the team cleaned up their mess and everything went well. The only thing I really didn’t realize that when my panel would go off here, all of my features on my tub would stop working so it took about three people to come out. If the panel would go out with buttons, we had to take the panel off and do a reset button on there. I also don’t like that the seat is real hard but other than that it’s okay. I had a stroke and I couldn’t get in to sit down into my regular tub because I wouldn’t have anybody to help me out but it’s easy for me to take a bath now with this walk-in tub. I would recommend it.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you so much for sharing your positive experience and for a perfect rating, Nelda!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

When we decided that we would get a walk-in tub, we had a whole bunch of different people come in and one of them was American Standard. We knew American Standard had high standards and that was why we chose it. The sales rep who came to our house was very knowledgeable. After we heard a whole bunch, we knew exactly what we wanted. Some of them came in with wonderful pictures and everything, but it didn't tell you much. The installation was very good, too, and was pretty quick. Since having the walk-in tub, I didn't need help getting in and out of it.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a 5-star review, Marilyn. We're happy to have you as part of the American Standard family!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

The gentleman from American Standard Walk-In Baths that made the presentation was quite good and his product knowledge was excellent. His communication skills were very good. The way he demonstrated the product itself and all the visuals and the material that he showed us convinced us that American Standard's product was head and shoulders above some of the others we had looked and researched. So, we made that decision and we’re very happy with it.

The installation team were really good people. They went A to B. They knew what they were doing. They showed us the jets and the air thing and a little colored light switch, and told us to make sure it’s locked and secured properly. The tub been a big help for me because of my medical condition. It has been very healthy for me and it relieves a lot of inflammation. And if you take one 20 minutes before you go to sleep, you get a fabulous night’s sleep. It’s worth every penny. If have to make that decision again, I would do it in an instant. I recommend it to a lot of people. We're thinking of selling and moving, and we’re thinking about having somebody come out and if the tub can be removed and installed in the new house that we will purchase.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Hello Ralph, thank you for letting us know about your good experience. Have a nice day!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I was in need of a walk-in tub. American Standard's sales agent came here and he was good at representing the product. So, I decided to purchase from them. The two people that came to do the work were professional and timely. But to make the vanity fit in the bathroom, they cut away the molding around the door and I had to have that redone. Also, there were a couple of things I wasn't satisfied with, but overall, the quality of the work they did was good. I would recommend American Standard.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you so much for your feedback, Bobbie. We want to make sure you are completely satisfied with your walk-in tub experience. Please don't hesitate to call our Customer Care Team at 855-225-2183 so that we can help!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

The American Standard walk-in tub rep I dealt with was great. The installation team was wonderful, and they cleaned after themselves. I haven't been home to use my tub much, but I've used it and I love the way it works -- the jets and everything, and then the relaxation.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We are happy to see that you had a 5 star experience with us, Geraldine. Thank you for leaving us your positive review.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I was looking on the internet at different sales papers and stuff trying to find something that my mother could use where she could step in. We were doing it for her, for her safety. The sales rep from American Standard did pretty well. He showed us the different tubs and stuff that was available but then we had to kinda give him our price range and give him what he had and they threw the commode in. He was thorough.

The installation team was a little bit late getting here and then it took about two days. It was a little bit longer than I thought it was gonna be. And they got called away and had to go somewhere else for five hours. So, that was a little bit disappointing. But when they came, it went pretty good. They knew what they were doing and they jumped right on it once they were here.

However, I got mad. One of the dials on there came loose and it's starting to come out. The part where you get hot and cold water, had jerked out the thing. And I found it needs to be replaced. It can't be tightened up. Everything else was good and the tub is doing what we wanted. Using the walk-in tub is a lot easier for our mom, who is 91. In the old tub, you have to step over to get in and this new one is a whole lot better and safer. She's got a chair and the bars in there and the handheld one.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, Bruce. We strive to provide our customers with the perfect installation experience and we are disappointed to hear there were some issues. Have you already called our Customer Care Team at 855-225-2183 for help with the dial replacement? We'd be happy to look into it.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

We looked at walk-in tubs online and talked to three of the top rated groups, and American Standard was one of them. The salesman was very, very knowledgeable and comforting. He was able to answer any question we had. The installers were very professional too. They finished the work in two days, and they cleaned up all their mess and left the house neat. My mother needed another grab bar put in, and they came right out and did that. Their service has been excellent.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We value your feedback and are happy to have you as part of the American Standard family, Andy!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

American Standard had what I wanted. Their sales team knew what they were doing. We got a walk-in shower and the installers did good. The shower looks real good and the team installed right. They told me how it worked and they cleaned up after themselves. It’s now a lot easier for my wife to get in and out of the shower.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for rating, William. We're happy to have you as part of the American Standard family!

Original review: July 31, 2018

My experience with American Standard. The salesman lied. He came to our home for the sales pitch, he knew his product very well. Went over everything then he was telling us the price and rebate. I have a disability from being in the military so the salesman told my wife and I that we will get a $6800.00 rebate from the VA. We said to the salesman, "Well if we are going to get a $6800.00 rebate from the VA then yes we will get the tub because almost $19,000.00 is way too much," so the salesman told us, "Yes you will get $6800.00 rebate from the VA" which is not true. A person can get the rebate if they have 100% disability from the military and they qualify through the VA but I have 30% disability so I don't qualify.

During the install of our tub is when I checked into this. I should have checked into this as soon as the sales rep left but no I took his word for it because American Standard wouldn't screw over a vet would they? Seems like they would and they did. I have spoken to a few people from American Standard about this and not one of them has offered any type of rebates or money off because we would never have bought this tub and the salesman knows this. Hope this helps anyone out there thinking of getting this tub. On the positive side the tub works just like they said it would. However American Standard should hire and use their own installers not contractors. Took twice as long to complete as estimated and poor clean up job.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: July 31, 2018

I bought an American Standard high-rise toilet and I liked a tub to go with it. The salesman sold my wife and I but he knew that we had a 10-inch on our free commode but they gave me a 12-inch. I called on that and they said that they can’t do anything about it. I had already bought an American Standard 10-inch toilet and I still got the 12-inch out on my patio in the boxes where I couldn’t use them. They also didn’t install the tub the way that they were supposed to. I already had a drywall in there and they were supposed to put all greenboard waterproof paneling drywall.

They never patched the bottom where the old tub went and just let that open. It’s on an outside wall and all the putties and the caulking they caulked around the tub, the top on that side, cracked so I called them and another contractor came here. He re-caulked it and it’s doing good now. However, I don’t know what to do next winter when it gets cold here with that bottom panel because last winter, when it was cold, I had a hard time keeping the water warm in my tub because about 12 or 14 inches from the floor, we couldn’t do it with the other tub we had. I got foam, but I can’t foam it again. I asked the guy if it would hurt if I had a foam man come out and re-foam that if that foam would get inside the tub because there’s a hole down there in the bottom of the drywall. He said that he wouldn’t do that, so I don’t know what I’m gonna do with it.

The drain also don’t have anything to hold it down. Only the water pressure shuts that down. When you drain in the tub, there’s no hard fixed to it. It’s just gravity, It works but they should have something in there that would hold that shut whenever you turn it on. The dial that shut the drain, it should stay shut but you can turn that right and it’ll pick right up out of the drain. I called the guy in Illinois about it and he never called me back so I would like to have a number or somebody I could call in case I have problems here locally because the local company didn’t leave a card.

The tub is alright and I would recommend it, but their installers took shortcuts and were negligent. It cost me $1,700 for that tub and I should have gotten a better job when they should have patched the part down there and then put the tub in, and they installed that tub in about 10 hours. American Standard should have better installers that don’t take shortcuts because they are charging me to redo the whole bathroom with that greenboard. They cut the Whirlpool tub to get it out and they were gonna take off all the rails I had in there for the other tubs around the back, but I told them not to and to bring them back. They already had them loaded up to go with them. They should not have done something like that. I put those rails in my bathroom because my wife is 91 and I’m 87 and we need more steel handrail. They come in handy but they wanted to cart them off.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Hi Donald, Our customer service team will be reaching out today to see what the issues your are encountering are and how they can be resolved. Thanks!

Original review: July 31, 2018

It was hard for my wife to get in and out of the tub, so we chose American Standard Walk-In Tubs. The in-home sales visit that we had was really good and up-to-date. The sales rep, a nice guy, helped us find what we needed. The installers were very professional and they said it would take a couple of days to install the tub, and that was all the time they took to install it. Since using our walk-in tub, my wife has been enjoying it and she's now safer in getting in and out of it.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Your feedback and 5-star rating are appreciated. We're happy to have you as part of the American Standard family!

Original review: July 30, 2018

We searched American Standard on the web and we looked at another brand. We chose American Standard due to their traditional reliability and since their product had more features. The sales representative that we worked with was very personable and he told us what our options were. He was also very helpful with the installation. We had a great experience with the installers that came out, except that they made a big scratch on our wood floor going into the bathroom, although they had put a tarp down, but they have taken care of that for the most part.

But I can only use our walk-in tub in the evening because once I’ve used it, I’m like Jell-O. Also, I’ve had some issues with the tub since using it and I’ve been meaning to call the representative. One of the little jets underneath the feet is not putting out a force over the water as the ones on the other side of it. Then there was a time when the controls stopped working while I was in the tub and we couldn’t get anything to work. But the next time I used the tub, it started and worked fine. I have checked the breakers and made sure that everything is working okay.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for sharing your experience with our installation team, Donna. We'd like to look into this for you. Please reach out to our Customer Care Team at 855-225-2183 so that we can help!

Original review: July 30, 2018

I went online and searched, and I saw American Standard and a few other bathtub companies. One of them was pushing an all-acrylic item and another one was talking about a heated seat. Those were the ones that I paid attention to, but American Standard was a well-known name to me and I have their water heater and some of their porcelain items such as toilets, so I went with them. The sales representative that came to our home was very knowledgeable. He knew more about the walk-in tub than I asked about and I learned things about it from him that didn’t even occur to me. The installers did a wonderful job. They went through the whole thing in great detail and they were fast. It took them a couple of hours to complete the job and they didn’t leave until we felt comfortable with the item.

My only complaint, though, is how ridiculously expensive the tub is, but we love it and it's worth it. So, we paid for what we wanted. My wife has chronic back pain and she uses the tub all the time, and it’s really helpful. She used to go to a massage therapist, but now instead of doing that she sits in it and gets almost the same relief as she did from the massage person. Also, I have arthritis in my legs and it helps me too, although I don’t sit in there as much as she does.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for rating your experience with us, Kevin. We're happy to have you as part of the American Standard family!

Original review: July 29, 2018

I’m 75 years old and my knees don’t work like they used to. I fell a couple of times in my tub and I had little trouble getting in and out of it at times. I was trying to get the VA to get a tub for me because of my situation and the VA sent me a chair to sit in for the shower but I didn’t like that. Then I saw the advertisement for a walk-in tub. I was sitting to wait on my doc’s appointment to the VA and another veteran was telling me about the one that he had. I started looking into walk-in tubs and then I found out that the VA would not help us get one anymore so I decided to get the walk-in tub myself.

I got online and started filling out stuff and American Standard was the only one that really called me back. We had a great talk with the salesperson, Mark, who was a really nice guy. The reps were really knowledgeable and helpful too and we told them we were gonna get the tub. Mark got it set up with the installers and he followed through. However, our doors were not big enough for the tub to fit through, so the crew had to widen the doorways, the bathroom door and the door going to the hall but that didn’t really take that long. I tried to get the guys to take a break one time but they came in and got started and they didn’t stop until late that evening. They didn't gag around, smoke a cigarette or go outside. They did a good job.

We also talk with the reps every three or four months. They call and see how things are. I love the American Standard walk-in tub to death. I spend more time in the tub than I do in my chair. It’s better to sit in the tub than taking a shower and I feel great when I get out of the tub. The only thing I had to do is to get a water heater that was bigger than the 40-gallon tank that I had. I’ve got bad legs and knees from surgeries and a bad back from the service, and the tub is relaxing and comfortable.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for your service, Bill. We are very pleased to hear the sales and installation went smoothly and you were satisfied. We really appreciate the praise and your kind words. Hope you get to enjoy your tub for many more years to come and we are proud to have you as part of the American Standard family.

Original review: July 29, 2018

American Standard has the best price and I liked the fellow that came to see us but apparently the company didn’t like him because they got rid of him. After I bought the tub, I never saw him. The installation was bad and it took forever. They told me it was gonna take a week and it took about two months. They had the plumbing done and they were gonna bring the tub out. The tub didn’t get here because it was on a guy's pickup truck. The pickup truck broke down, and it was two days before they could get it fixed and get it here. They also had to do a lot of work in our bathroom to get it in. But the quality was good when they got done and I'm satisfied with it. I had to learn to use the walk-in tub. On a regular tub, you can fill it up and then get in. You can't do that with the walk-in tub. You gotta get in first and then fill it up. I recently gone back using the it which I really like. I'm happy with it.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We're so happy to hear you are enjoying your new tub, Jane! Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

Original review: July 28, 2018

We saw American Standard in a magazine and the thorough explanation that the sales rep made about the walk-in tub convinced us that it was a good choice. The installation team was good but we lost track of the instruction manual that came with the tub and if American Standard can send us another one, we would appreciate it.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Welcome to the American Standard family, Richard! We will be calling shortly to arrange sending you a new instruction manual.

Original review: July 28, 2018

We had looked at American Standard's walk-In tub and we researched on it online. Then their sales guy came to our home and he spent a lot of time telling us about it, and our interactions with him went very well. The installation team that came in to install our tub was good. They moved very quickly and cleaned up after themselves. But it was raining and one of them drove the big truck through the grass in my yard, but they were already gone by the time and I didn’t say anything. I've still got ruts from that and I've been trying to work to get it right. But other than that, everything was fine. The walk-in tub was for my husband and he wanted it more than I did. He had stroke in December, though, so he didn’t get to use it for a long time, but I’ve used it and I've been very relaxed and comfortable after I got out, and there has been no problem in getting in and out of it.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We're happy to have you as part of the American Standard family, Barbara! Thank you for your review.

Original review: July 27, 2018

We were doing a remodeling project for my mother that was coming to live with us, so we wanted a tub that she could get in and out of. American Standard has been in business for a long time and there were good remarks about them. Plus they have a lifetime guarantee. Their installation guy came out to see where we were gonna put the tub so that we would have everything we needed in place. He dealt with my husband and got everything set up for that, and when we had it ready, we called him. He came back out and looked at everything and then ordered the tub for us. My mother is in wheelchair and cannot walk, so the tub has helped tremendously. She could get in the tub and then sit in there with confidence to take a bath. We had it serviced one time and it was very easy to schedule. They came right out and repaired the issue.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Reading your review makes us really proud and happy, Nancy! We appreciate you taking the time to leave a 5-star review.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I was looking online at different walk-in tubs and American Standard was the only one that called me back. So, I purchased from them. The sales rep who came out was wonderful and I’m still in touch with him. The installers were great as well. They were very professional and they worked fast and hard. They also cleaned up, which is a big thing. So far, the tub really helps out with my arthritis. I tell people about it all the time and my sister even bought one after seeing mine. American Standard is a good company. They do their job and there are no hassles. When the paint came off on the tub, they fixed it right away and I had no problems at all trying to get them to do it. They were also not hard to get in touch with. It was a very good experience all the way around.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We couldn't be happier to have you as a new member of our American Standard family, Teri! It's such a pleasure to read your kind words and learn our team did such a perfect job! Thank you for choosing us!

Original review: July 26, 2018

We did some price checking around and went and looked at a couple of tubs, and then decided on American Standard. Their sales rep was very helpful but it was not installed properly. The installer was rushing and tried to do it all in one day. The caulking job was not very pretty and then, I had trouble with the motor. Water was dripping down in there, so American Standard had to put a new motor. They were very good about calling this one man, George, that they knew could fix anything. It took him two hours and he got everything working and sealed off where the water was dripping down into the motor. Other than that, the service has been good. I'm happy with the tub and I thoroughly enjoy it but I only use it once a week because it takes so much water. I live out here in Rio Vista and we were asked to use water only when it's necessary.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for choosing American Standard, Marilyn! We're happy to hear you are enjoying your tub so much.

Original review: July 25, 2018

My name is Janet ** and I am writing to tell you how pleased I am with the service my mother received from American Standard. We were concerned for her safety when bathing and she purchased a walk-in shower unit. She also received a free toilet which is the perfect height for her and is easier for her to manage. She loves the shower and the wall grips are throughout the area so we all feel she is safer when bathing. We were astounded to find this product guaranteed for life and that the guarantee includes labor. My mom and I both love it, I am pleased with the treatment she received and I love knowing she is safer when bathing. Now, we both recommend this product to everyone we talk to.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

That is simply music to our ears to read such a tremendous review, Janet! It makes us delighted we could make your mother's life more enjoyable. Thank you so much for your recommendation!

Original review: July 25, 2018

We'd been talking about a walk-in tub for my son who has multiple handicaps. I called around a couple of different places and went with American Standard since I worked for them a number of years ago in Detroit. However, I could never get a hold of the sales rep once we signed the contract and I gave the deposit. I called him many times for different things and he never contacted me back. Also, when the people put the tub in and they were finished, my molding was all chipped up. I called and they told me it looked like it did before they went in, and I said it did not. They also had to cut a part in the bathroom to get the tub in, and they passed it off and plastered it. I told them that they were not leaving it like that, and the guy came out with a spray and said, ‘Here, anytime just spray it on.” It was white and he said that once it dried, I could paint it. It blends in with the rest of the wall though I haven't repainted it yet.

Nevertheless, our workers were very polite and efficient. They came in, did the work and didn’t mess around. The American Standard tub is amazing for what it’s done for my son. My son is a paraplegic and he couldn’t move. Now he's moving and kicking his legs, and he had never done that. It's well worth the money for him. I’ve also used it twice and I felt very relaxed when I got out of there. It was quite expensive but we’re very satisfied with it.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Reading your review makes us really proud and happy, Barbara! Thank you for sharing your experience with our installation team. We are positive you will have a lot of fun using our bathtub on a daily basis!

Original review: July 25, 2018

I had fallen and I needed something that would make me feel better, and American Standard's walk-In tub certainly does. I had a very good experience with them. The in-home sales rep that came was very good. The installers worked hard and they finished the installation in just a day. I feel better since using my walk-in tub.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for letting us know that you received such a wonderful service, Cherylynn! Your feedback and 5-star rating are appreciated.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 24, 2018

My mother had dementia and we got American Standard Walk-in Baths so we could put her into the bathtub and lock her in there and bathe her with the handheld shower. My daddy is 6’5” so I had to buy a tub that they referred to as the “Big Boy” and it was $7000. It is the biggest that they make and I bought it directly from American Standard. The product is good but their customer service is pathetic and I’m so disgusted with them right now. When we were building a house, I didn’t wanna schedule installers when the house is not yet ready so I had my own plumber put it in. And when my mom died, my dad said that the house they were in was too big for him. So we moved him and the same plumber pulled the tub out and moved it to the next house.

For about six months we didn’t have problems then all of a sudden, the jets of the tub quit working for no reason. I called American Standard and they told me that because we did not have their people install and uninstall the tub they couldn't help me. I said that I still have a $7000 bathtub that cannot be used and I was willing to pay one of their repair people to come out and fix it. They still didn’t help me. The rep suggested that I talk to my plumber so I called my plumber. The plumber had limited knowledge on how the tubs works and he extinguished everything he knew. I called other plumbers but they didn’t work on American Standard.

So I got a bit savvy and started looking at it myself. I used to work on my own car so I’m not totally inept but when I looked under the tub, I said that it really looks like a hot tub. So I called a number of people that work on hot tubs and pool people but all of them were telling me that they don’t work on those machines so I let it sit. I’m a retired medical social worker and an untrained person but I still got the gray matter between the ears so I started looking at it. I started breaking it down and figured out that it simply was not getting power but I didn’t know what I’m looking at. I started pulling random pieces out. I called American Standard directly and got hooked up with my area representative. Then I gave her the part numbers and she had absolutely no idea what I was talking about because there was no correlation between her computer and the people that make it. So I told her that I was gonna go ahead and start piece by piece.

It seemed that all the pieces and parts have a lifetime warranty on them. So as an untrained individual, I called and requested pieces and parts. One of the motors that I have requested is $500 and they sent me the wrong part so I called them. I told them that I’ll be sending everything back to them as I have the original packing slip and box. They said that they don’t need it back and I can keep the part. It seemed that this was a common practice with American Standard. Then, I called my local plumbing company called Coburn’s and I asked them if they do American Standard and they said yes. I asked them if somebody could fix my tub.

Eight months elapsed and I have a $7000 bathtub that does not work. It can be filled but it does not work and it is not doing what it’s supposed to do. The gal at Coburn’s, who was the person who has a constant repertoire with American Standard people, got the same runaround that if they didn’t install the tub, they can’t help. Finally, the girl asking the correct questions and working the system finally got American Standard to say that they used a company in New Orleans before to work on some of their warranty but it was not gonna be covered under warranty. The entire time I was telling them that I will pay and I’m about an hour away from New Orleans.

American Standard’s customer service sucks. They said, “All we do is pick up the phone and we look on the Yellow Pages and we’ll just find a plumber.” But it was not that simple. If my parents did not live in the same town as me, they would have been absolutely screwed. I hope my concern gets to the right people and if it gets to the right people, I’ll be more than happy to talk to them.

HI Emily,

We would like to address your concerns with our customer service escalation team. I would like to make this a priority. If you can we will be reaching out ASAP to address the concerns

American Standard Walk-in Baths expert review by Shelley Webb

American Standard has a company history stretching back over 130 years. As a manufacturer and distributor of numerous kitchen and bathroom appliances that include walk-in tubs, American Standard products can be found almost anywhere.

• Low step height: The step into an American Standard tub is just 3 inches in height. This is lower than most standard step-ins.

• Optional quick draining: You can choose to install an optional quick-drain system that drains standing water as quickly and efficiently as possible.

• Spa options: American Standard walk-in tubs can be upgraded with air massage, whirlpool massage or combination massage options. Aromatherapy and chromatherapy options are also available for purchase.

• Price listings: American Standard lists prices for their tubs online. Prices range between $5,209 and $10,980, and most tub prices that include extra features are also listed online.

• Support: American Standard provides several support guides, repair guides and installation videos. Their robust online parts store makes it easy to look up replacement parts for your walk-in tub.

• Best for: senior citizens, people with limited mobility, people with chronic joint pain and individuals considering aging-in-place features.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb

Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

American Standard Walk-in Baths Company Information

855-858-5417
www.americanstandardbaths.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business