4.4/5 (352 ratings)

About American Standard Walk-in Baths

American Standard’s walk-in bathtub selection includes a variety of soaker and jetted tubs, including water and air jets. All models include quick-drain technology, and certain models come with chromotherapy. The company shows all pricing info and exact models online, though you’ll need to get an in-home consultation to understand the full price (including installation).

Pros

• Transparent pricing
    • Customizable soak and massage tubs
    • Quick-drain tech
    • Self-cleaning features available

Cons

• Installation cost varies
    • Limited warranty

Bottom Line

American Standard’s walk-in tubs come in a variety of customizable deep-soak and massage models. It provides installation with the purchase of a walk-in bath. Features include chromotherapy and self-cleaning.

Top American Standard Walk-in Baths Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Standard Walk-in Baths?

Verified

My wife... has difficulty getting into a tub. ... American Standard's reputation goes beyond other programs. Customer service was very fine and the installation took two days, whi...

Verified

Everybody from American Standard that I had to deal with was quite nice. The representative... answered any questions till I didn't really have any. I knew that American Standard ...

American Standard walk-in tub models

American Standard is a household name for dozens of home fixtures, but its line of customizable walk-in tubs is among the most impressive of its home appliance collections. American Standard offers walk-in bathtubs in four varieties: air baths, bathtubs, whirlpools and combo massage tubs. Its extensive selection lets you choose a tub based on your comfort needs.

Model TypeCost Range*
    Deep Soaking Tubs$4,845 to $8,551
    Walk-in Whirlpool Tubs$5,111 to $8,411
    Walk-in Air Baths$5,216 to $8,436
    Combo Massage Tubs$6,420 to $10,556

*Cost ranges at the time of publishing may not include installation.

American Standard walk-in tub features

For comfort and safety, each American Standard walk-in tub includes built-in contoured seats, a safety bar and textured bath floors. Most come fully equipped with a fast-fill tub faucet, a hand-held showering wand and a color-matched drain and overflow. For units without fixtures, an American Standard walk-in tub faucet can be ordered separately.

In addition to standard safety features, most types of American Standard walk-in bathtubs include massage jets for relaxation:

• Air baths feature over 20 individual jets that deliver all-over, water-based massage therapy through tiny warm air bubbles.
    • Whirlpools include up to 13 water jets with an optional legs-only massage.
    • Combo tubs combine the benefits of air baths and whirlpools with up to 39 jets total.

To keep the massage jets clean, specific combo and whirlpool models also include ozone self-cleaning sanitation systems that help the unit run efficiently and cleanly.

In addition to massage jets, combo tub users can also benefit from multicolored chromotherapy. American Standard tubs equipped with chromotherapy use underwater LED lighting to add a color wash or flowing color sequence to your bath.

All units use American Standard’s patented technology to remove water from the tub in less than two minutes. This technology is usually called Quick Drain, although some larger models (60 inches by 30 inches) use Minute Drain technology.

American Standard walk-in tub cost

An American Standard walk-in tub typically costs from $4,000 to $11,000, with a 28-by-48-inch soaking tub costing significantly less than a 32-by-60-inch combo tub with chromotherapy and ozone self-cleaning systems. Tub size, type, material and any additional features affect the price.

To obtain an accurate quote, customers can schedule a no-cost, no-obligation, in-home safety evaluation. American Standard’s contractors determine prices based on:

• Bathroom layout
    • Doorway and hallway width
    • Electrical system
    • Existing plumbing configuration

American Standard provides a quote based on the evaluation, the type of walk-in tub you choose and the additional features you’d like.  American Standard also offers 18-month, no-interest financing for qualified applicants.

American Standard walk-in tub FAQ

What type of warranty does American Standard offer for walk-in tubs?

All American Standard walk-in tubs come with a lifetime warranty on the door seal, installation and labor. Acrylic walk-in tubs come with a 15-year warranty on the bathtub shell and a 10-year warranty on all other components. Gelcoat walk-in tubs come with a 10-year warranty on the bathtub shell and a five-year warranty on the components.

What’s the process for installing an American Standard walk-in tub?

Factory-trained, certified specialists install your tub, typically within one or two days. The installation team also removes and discards your old tub. Once installed, the American Standard contractor tests your tub and explains operations. The in-home evaluation determines the installation cost.

What’s the difference between acrylic and fiberglass tubs from American Standard?

Choosing between a fiberglass and an acrylic American standard walk-in tub depends on your budget, your ability to clean and maintain your tub and the location of the bathroom in your home.

Fiberglass walk-in tubs from American Standard are less expensive, made of lightweight material and ideal for two-story homes. However, fiberglass tubs can be more susceptible to chipping, cracking and failing. They can also stain and absorb water, which can lead to mold buildup if not properly maintained.

Acrylic walk-in tubs from American Standard are less susceptible to physical damage and mold, but they’re more expensive. The heavier material makes acrylic tubs better suited for bathrooms on the first floor.

Both tubs have the same 10- to 15-year lifespan.

How do I clean my American Standard walk-in tub?

American Standard recommends daily upkeep, weekly or monthly cleaning and occasional deep cleaning for walk-in tubs. After each use, rinse off the tub and fixtures with warm water to remove body oils and soap residue. For weekly or monthly cleaning, fill the tub with hot water to seat height, add low-foaming detergent and run the jets for about ten minutes. Drain the tub and fill it with clean water. Run the jets for 15 more minutes to rinse, then drain. For deep cleaning, use detergent and go through longer cycles with the jets to remove residue. Do not use harsh scrubbers on the tub.

What should I expect from an American Standard in-home evaluation?

American Standard offers a free in-home consultation for customers interested in installing a walk-in tub. A certified safety specialist will come to your home, take measurements of your bathroom and determine if the site is suitable for a walk-in tub. You will also receive an accurate price quote that includes the cost of professional installation.

Do we recommend American Standard walk-in tubs?

American Standard’s walk-in tubs provide a customized experience for users of any age. While prices start in the $4,000 range and climb to $11,000 or more, there are no hidden costs, and no-interest financing is available. Quotes include installation and labor, and the company backs its products with a lifetime warranty.

American Standard Walk-in Baths Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Standard Walk-in Baths?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2022

For about 40 years, I've had thousands of American Standard appliances from commodes, sinks, urinals, and all kinds of stuff. I know from personal experience that American Standard was not the cheapest, but not the most expensive. And with everything I ever put in there, I never had any trouble. I’m satisfied with them for 42 years. So, I know their stuff is pretty good.

I just got a new product and the sales representative that came out was a very knowledgeable and very nice-spoken guy. The installers drove up here every day. It’s about a two-and-a-half-hour drive up and two and a half hours back. They worked nonstop for three days. They worked Monday and Tuesday and when they left here Wednesday night, it was after midnight when they got done.

The tub is in. It's been a blessing to me because I'm old. I can no longer get in and out of that 16-inch tall tub. The salesman came and talked to me, but he wouldn't even talk about a tub. He said, "You don't need a tub. You don't need sliding glass doors." I said, “Okay.” We have a curtain. We have a 4-inch base, and it's set in a concrete mold. They tore the floor completely out because there were trusses and they put down a three quarter-inch plywood on the floor and poured the concrete. They put some more wood in there for bracing all that plywood. They did a tremendous job. I didn't get it in there and watch too much because it's kind of crowded in my bathroom.

The shower itself has a rainfall showerhead with three settings on it. It can either be a fine mist, a medium mist or a hard stream. Also, the shower stall has handrails all through it on both ends and across the back. It has a bench in it. On the bench side, there's a handheld wand with a five-foot cord on it that my wife loves because she doesn't take showers. She can't stand how water hit her in the face. So, she uses that little wand thing and loves it. It was an expensive adventure, but it's been worth it. It's hard for an old man to get in and out of a bathtub. I can get right in that shower and just stand there and shower. I have long hair and it washes my hair really easily and all that stuff goes along with it.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for sharing your experience, John. We're happy to have you as part of the American Standard family!

Get buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2022

Five years ago, my husband had a salesman from American Standard come to our farm and he gave us a pitch. We learned about the product at that point but we didn't go ahead with the purchase. Our health was still good and we were in our 60s. Our health is less robust because now that we're in our 70s. We looked at some other products through Lowe's and the American Standard product still looked like the best option. We went ahead and made that purchase.

The first sales representative five years ago was not good. He didn't do any measurements. We live in an old farmhouse so the doors are narrower and the bathroom was very small. He didn't look at the electrical panel either. He told me that he would order the tub and the rest of it was the installers’ problem. Having spent 25 years of my career in commercial real estate, that didn't really work for me. I was not comfortable with that expense of a purchase without having more attention to detail.

The lady who came out this time around was awesome. She did the measurements, checked the panels, and took a picture of the panel. She did the pre-work for the installer so that they knew what they were looking at. The gentleman who was sending out the installers called me personally to ask me about the ingress and egress of the driveway since he was out in the country and he was bringing a big truck. We're on a country road and I sent him photos of how to get in and out. It was pretty easy and the attention to detail this time was stellar.

The installers did a very nice job. I watched because I like construction and it was interesting. The only thing I had a question about later was the GFI breaker to the toilet, which is backed up by the GFI that's on the other wall. That's all interconnected with the tub. I understood that electrical schematic. Everything's operating the way it's supposed to. It's a blessing to have it right now because my husband just got out of the hospital. They told him in the hospital that he could use his tub to shower since he had to sit down and he wouldn't fall. He has a handheld sprayer and just not use the bathtub feature. It’s all great.

My husband weighs about 240 pounds so he displaces more water than I do. I weigh about 178 pounds. It takes longer and more hot water to fill the tub up for me. Other than that, I'm good and I like the tub. Initially, the hot water heater was set at 120 and I was running out of hot water when I was just getting the water to the seat. But I turned the hot water heater up to 125. I can still have hot water and get it up to where I can run the bubbles.

Everybody has bathed in a certain fashion for us for 70 years. When the American Standard product comes along, it's a different style of bathing. You’ve just got a lot more options and your space is different. You have to learn how to work within the space provided and use the different options. Once you figure out how it works best for you because everybody does it differently. My husband's just as pleased as he can be. That is great because he has vertigo. Standing in our old bathtub shower was dangerous. Having American Standard was certainly a lot cheaper than going to the hospital with a serious head injury. He goes in, sits down, and he's happy taking his shower or his bath. Most of the time, we just shower.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Hello Linda. We're happy to have been able to help. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and welcome to the American Standard family!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

I thought an American Standard walk-in tub would be an excellent idea because it would be a big problem when we get a little older and we already have trouble getting into tubs. Our friend let us come over and look at their tub. I wanted to sit in it and see what it would feel like to be in it. Our friend let us do that. I called American Standard and I got an appointment. Sean was the rep that came and he was very helpful. He told us a whole lot about the product and all the ins and outs. There was another company that I had an appointment with but I never even talked to them. We were so convinced by Sean that American Standard was what we wanted since I had already seen one and checked it out. There were also a lot of things about the product that we liked.

Young people came for the installation and they were very efficient. They knew what they were doing. There was a problem with hooking up the electricity because the fuse box was at one end of the house and the tub was at the other end of the house. They figured out how they could go in through the attic. They bore through a couple of walls to get to the electrician box in the kitchen. They then repaired that beautifully. They said they would be through in a day. But the work took two days. I'm glad they took their time because this was a complicated thing that they were putting in. They bothered us as little as possible. They were very congenial and I welcome them into my home anytime because they were such good people. Their work was perfect.

One of the features that I really like was the fact that when you get out of the tub, it had something that will go automatically and it will dry out all the inputs. I heard people say that they had a Jacuzzi or a tub in the house but they didn't use it much because it built up mildew in the water vents. Our walk-in tub also had a pump that would pump the water out. We like that too. We've had friends that had a walk-in tub and they had to sit there and wait for the water to go out.

We decided to go with this walk-in tub even though it was expensive because it would keep us from going to the nursing home. We decided the nursing home would be a lot more expensive than a walk-in tub. We wanted to stay home. Our friends are still staying home with their walk-in tub and they're still satisfied with it. This walk-in tub has certainly made things much simpler and I don't have to worry about my husband when he says he's going to take a bath. I enjoy it too. I have arthritis and sometimes I can lie in there for a while with the pulsating water. It really helps my arthritis.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for sharing your 5-star review, Claire. Welcome to the American Standard family!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

I needed to replace my tub and wanted to do it the right way so that instead of stepping into a tub, I just walk into it. I now have American Standard's shower and I love it. My sles rep was very nice and courteous. He walked me through all the steps that the process would take. He told me all that was going on, what it would entail, and that it could probably be done in a day. I have an old house with a small bathroom with a cast iron tub. He was telling me that that one had to be cut out. He said that a person will come out and will be able to tell me exactly what he’s going to do and what it will entail. The sales rep also helped me and he showed me the different samples of the tiles.

On installation day, a young man came and he was very nice and business-like. He told me what was going on and all that would be taking place. He told me I would need to get a plumber out here to clean my drain. He wanted to know if I wanted to go ahead and install the shower or wait. I said, “If the guy can clean out that drain without messing up my shower, I’d rather go ahead and get it installed today." He called somebody and they said, “Nobody should have to tear up anything when they just take a roto-rooter down the drain." We went ahead with that. The guy walked me through some of the steps. When he finished one area, he would show it to me.

I’ve always liked American Standard. I loved the work they did. The shower is easy to get to, easy to turn on, and easy to get out of. I don’t have to worry about stepping over something nor do I have to worry about walking into something. When you have MS, you don’t know what you’re gonna do most of the time. The guy put in a new handrail for me. It’s very convenient and beautiful how everything in the area is. I’m just really happy with it. The only thing was I was hurt that the guy couldn’t do my other bathroom because it doesn’t have a tub or a shower in it. Other than that, I thank American Standard for having such a good company, good qualified people all over the place.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for sharing your 5-star review, Pam. Welcome to the American Standard family!

Original review: March 1, 2022

When I signed the papers, I had nightmares about the tub because I never spent this much money in my entire life on anything, except for the car and the house. It’s only a tub. But I wouldn't take anything for that tub. I enjoy sitting in that tub. I have a grand baby and he loves to get in that tub with me. He’s about three and he loves to get his dinosaurs in there and sit in the bottom. I let the water get up enough to where it's over the air jets and turn the air jets on. He knows how to work the lights and see all the different color lights. So I have enjoyed it. I have told everybody I come in contact with it knows me about my tub.

The tub has these different color lights. When you push the lights on, they change colors. They go from red to green to blue to purple. Sometimes, they change by themselves, or you can set them for whatever color you want to. You can't put chemicals inside these tubs. But when I got the tub, it came with these scented beads. It's got a place on the outside of the tub that air comes through and it's got a cap on it. You put one bag of those down in there and screw the cap on. At night, when you're soaking in the tub, you can have the lights out, and put your music on the counter in there. Then lean back in that tub and have those different color lights on, and that aroma comes up out of there. You can be in a different world. Those beads last 30 days. They don't get wet. It's just the smell from the air that puts them out there.

The tub has 46 jets and I wouldn't take anything for it. They're hitting you on your back, your legs, your arms, and even in your hands. It helps your feet. It helps the circulation in your legs. It's amazing. You can turn them off and on. You don't have to use them all. There's a button for the jets for your back and then you can turn them off. I also have a button for the jets for the air down on the bottom that does your legs and your waist down. The tub also has a power drain to it that you use to drain the water out quickly.

When American Standard did the installation, they had to make the bathroom door wider because the tub was wider than the other one. They also replaced the toilet because the toilet came with the tub. It's a higher toilet. They made it where it is wheelchair-accessible. Like if I ever had to have a wheelchair in there, all I have to do is slide off the wheelchair and slide right into the tub. That was amazing all of its own. My daughter had a hysterectomy and she hadn't been able to take a bath in her tub because it's too far down. But with my tub, she was able to take the bath and that was awesome. It couldn't have come at a better time.

On the day when American Standard put the bidet in, the bidet wasn't level. It was level on one side but not on the other. So you couldn't tighten it down. When I called American Standard, they told me that because it was not the tub, the contractor would probably be busy. The rep didn't know what their schedule was. But if I got my own plumber to fix the toilet and send them the bill, then they would reimburse me. So I got my own plumber and he came out. I sent them the bill and they were very prompt and sent me my money back that I paid on it. That was awesome in itself in this day and time.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for sharing your experience, Rose! Welcome to the American Standard family.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2023

The sales consultant was very friendly and informed, and the installation was really nice. The installers left the house cleaner than when they went in, and they were very friendly as well. The tub is very pretty, and I like the depth of it. Also, the quality is excellent, and I'm really enjoying it.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We're truly happy to learn about your great experience, Heidi. Thank you for sharing and welcome to the American Standard family!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2023

American Standard's sales representative was very nice and informative. Also, the installers worked very hard long days and they had it done within two days. They did a beautiful job. The tub drains out quickly. But it takes a while to fill up, and the installer recommended that at some point, we should get a bigger one. Also, it's hard to get used to going in the door and making sure the doors closed behind you. I'm still getting used to it. Otherwise, everything's fine.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you the taking the time to leave your 5-star review, Sandra. We appreciate your business and are thrilled to welcome you to the American Standard family!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

I like that American Standard is made in this country. Their rep also did a good job and answered all my questions. The installation was all good. They had to come back another time and put up something that hadn't come with the shower or with the tub like it was supposed to. But they came and installed that, too. Everything's fine.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for sharing your experience, Scot. Welcome to the American Standard family!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

I was on Facebook and I was inquiring about having a walk-in shower installed, and one of American Standard's representatives made contact with me. I spoke with him and spoke with a representative with another company, but after sitting down and talking with American Standard's representative, I felt like American Standard was the best way to go for us. He's been great. He has contacted me since the installation took place to make sure that everything went as he had described to us. American Standard was very proficient in doing what they were here to do. They were very professional. A couple of times, they checked with me to see if that was to my satisfaction in terms of what they were planning to do, as far as the installation was concerned, and I really appreciated that.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

We are happy to read about your experience, Hiram. Thank you for sharing and welcome to the American Standard family!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

I like the controls, the water temperature and flow control, and the grab bars in my American Standard tub. I've had a lot of people who would come and always give a rosy picture of what they're gonna do, and then didn't do it, but American Standard did everything they said they were gonna do. I appreciate it.

American Standard Walk-in Baths response

Thank you for sharing your review, Phillip. We are happy to welcome you to the American Standard family!

American Standard Walk-in Baths Company Information