Disclosures

3.9/5 (636 ratings)

About LightStream

LightStream is an online lender that helps people obtain funds for major purchases, home remodeling and debt consolidation. It offers competitive fixed rates on loans, and there are no fees or penalties for early payments. LightStream is a division of Truist, a bank formed by the merger of SunTrust Bank and BB&T.

Pros

• Easy online application
  • Rate Beat Program
  • Loan Experience Guarantee

Cons

• $5,000 minimum
  • Unclear credit requirements

Bottom Line

LightStream is an online lender that offers competitive loan packages that range from $5,000 to $100,000. Borrowers can apply online for a fast credit decision. The company guarantees borrower satisfaction.

What is LightStream?

LightStream is an online lender that offers personal loans. It has competitive rates on loans up to $100,000, Rate Beat Program and a satisfaction guarantee on your lending experience. Its personal loans can be used to fund auto purchases, residential solar energy systems, home remodeling and improvements, debt consolidation and medical expenses. Customers can apply online and get funds as soon as the same day.

How does LightStream work?

LightStream’s loan application and funding process are completed online. You may be asked to provide supporting documentation like identification, pay stubs and proof of residence.

LightStream doesn’t disclose credit score or income requirements for personal loans. The company states it approves borrowers with a stable credit history, reliable income and a track record of on-time payments.

Once your application is complete, LightStream will review your information and typically make a funding decision within a few hours. Same-day funding is available for applications under certain conditions.

LightStream rates

LightStream offers loans from $5,000 to $100,000 with terms ranging from 24 to 144 months. APRs vary by loan type, and the company discounts your rate by 0.5% if you opt for autopay. You must have excellent credit to qualify for the lender's best rates. At the time of publishing, LightStream's APRs are:

• Personal loans:
  • Car loans:
  • Car loan refinancing:
  • Solar financing:

LightStream claims it will beat any rate from a competing lender by 0.1% if you were approved for the same loan terms. If you aren’t satisfied with the lending experience, LightStream sends you $100 as a part of its Loan Experience Guarantee.

LightStream FAQ

Is it hard to get approved by LightStream?

Loan approval chances depend on your credit history. You may qualify if you have several years of credit history with on-time payments and a stable income.

Is LightStream a good lender?

LightStream’s rates and loan packages are competitive with other top online lenders.

Does LightStream verify income?

You may be required to upload verification of your income during the LightStream application process. This might include pay stubs, bank statements or tax returns. Applicants may also be required to provide proof of identity or residence.

Can I pay off my LightStream loan early?

Yes, you can pay off a LightStream loan early. There are no early repayment penalties or fees.

Is LightStream legit?

LightStream is a reputable online lender that offers competitive interest rates and an easy application process. While it doesn’t disclose credit requirements, many employed borrowers with good credit scores have a chance of approval. Loans amounts start at $5,000, and the company has fast approval times and same-day funding for select loans.

LightStream Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LightStream?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about LightStream?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2022

Absolute dog water of a lender. Their reviews on their website are fake. You aren't allowed to leave a review if you're not already approved either. I make $250k a year with less than 1p% credit utilization and a 740 FICO. I took one month off to get a medical procedure done so I did not have a pay stub last month. They also demanded a pay stub for $250,000. I spoke to a rep on the phone and told them I can give them 2 years tax returns and last 6 months paystubs and 2 years W2, minus July because I'm on a short leave. You can call my employer to verify (Fortune 500 company). I also am going to get $12k a month from short-term disability. She took the notes and sent it back to the credit team.

I only applied for a $30k loan. 20 minutes later I got a decline saying I don't have the ability to repay the loan and a bunch other lies such as multiple delinquencies and high credit usage and collections. I have perfect credit payment history, less than 10% credit utilization, never had a collection account in my life. As someone who works in finance lending I can say this company is hot garbage. Will be disputing the inquiry and filing a complaint for deceptive lending practices. They also fail to disclose what documentation is required to obtain credit. I'm surprised this company hasn't been hit with massive fines.

Get buying tips about Personal Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 23, 2022

I just finished paying off my loan 14 months early. That's how much I HATED this company. My biggest complaint was with how long it took for them to report my current balance. My credit report was consistently updated 2 days before my payment. Therefore, my account balance was only accurate for 2 days each month. My final payment (early payoff) of $4987 was made 6 weeks ago and the bureaus finally updated my credit score 3 days ago. My score went down 9 points. How does that happen? My current score is 774. I have been told that there was a statement added to my credit report. Probably because I told them they are LAZY and WORTHLESS. There you go, I said it again. My advice, join a credit union. Most credit unions offer a variety of loan products and you will deal with someone local. Good luck.

Original review: June 4, 2022

BUYER BEWARE - I applied for a car loan yesterday evening and expected a “fast decision” based on the website's deceptive marketing. I received an email at 6:27 AM the next morning asking for me to call back to answer a couple questions. I called and received an automated message saying that your offices are closed and to call back between 10 am and 6 pm. I waited until 10 am and called again. Agent asked a couple identifying questions and reassured me I would receive an answer “today”. Received an email at 10:24 am asking me to upload documents. I did so and completed the project within an hour.

Didn’t hear anything back, so at 2:40 pm, I called again. The agent said it is currently under review, but not to worry because I will receive a decision “TODAY”. I said “that’s great, because I plan to go car shopping tomorrow.” I didn’t hear back by 6 pm, so I called again, but offices were already closed. Lovely. Logged into the application online and it appears that it’s still in process.

Sent them an email to inquire at 7 pm and received a decline email at 9 pm. According to your system, I have an 802 credit score. I have millions of dollars in investments and real estate. I have very little, to no debt at all. Clearly you’re only looking to approve consumers with low income/credit so you can justify charging high-interest rates. Your marketing of interest rates starting at 4.19% is deceptive and misleading.

Original review: April 6, 2022

Let me start by saying I have an 800+ credit score, a long mortgage history, auto loan history, perfect payment history, and run several large businesses. I chose to use LightStream for a home improvement loan to keep more cash in my bank during this crazy time. I figured this would be a no brainer and simple process. LightStream is a nightmare. Their criteria for loans is very selective and borders on unethical or illegal. I'm not sure what they do behind the scenes, but I started at the large amount I actually needed, got denied, and worked all the way down to $5k (min amount allowed) and was still denied. The service is terrible and they have no response why they can't do it. I would highly recommend to STAY AWAY because they take a hard credit pull and this will only hurt your credit. Try a different lender 1000%.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

I've used them several times in the past, always a good experience. However, not sure if it's the merger or what, but repeat customers no longer mean anything to them. Got a better deal on a loan from Discover than LightStream, despite their match it claim. Discover's customer service is far above Lightstream now. I'll never use them again. A complete turn-around from my previous review.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

Applied for a home reno loan. I own two houses, but my income more than generously compensates for both houses. I also have a 0% car loan. Otherwise, no debt, even though I have well over 80K in available credit through credit cards at my disposal. My transunion credit score on my denial notice was 827. Reason for denial listed was "debt owned on existing accounts." You mean my two houses that have over 300K in home equity? Not worth the ding.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

I was trying to help out a friend during these difficult COVID times because I have not been impacted financially. Despite an excellent nearly 800 credit score, Lightstream battled me every step of the way on a car loan. It threw several excuses my way, hung up on me five or six times and even tried to deny the financial statements from my bank and investments. They ultimately denied the loan with PISS poor customer service and an even worse/negligent loan department. I would avoid LightStream if possible.

Original review: April 23, 2021

I applied for a Lightstream loan and I am a current customer with an active loan with 50% paid off perfectly in a little more than one year. No late payments and always paid ahead. Credit scores are 800+ all 3 bureaus. I was declined for an unknown reason and cannot locate the reason on their site. I am not a consumer with bad credit and used to being declined for credit after having a flawless payment and credit history with any credit card or bank. Total insult...

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

Lightstream could not be any more user friendly and customer driven! They plant a tree for every loan! They offer lots of repayment options and allow you to change payment time and amount whenever you need to make it more convenient.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I wanted to get my loan as quickly as possible and I communicated that to my loan agent. He was prompt in his responses to my questions and was always respectful. The company was organized and had a good website for facilitating document scanning and communications. When it was time for them to make their final evaluations of my documents, I was given a date when I could expect a decision. The decision was prompt, and the funding was wired to my account exactly when I had been told to expect it. I would rate LightStream 5/5 for their commitment to their client, the competence displayed in their organization, and their reliability. They exceeded my expectations and I would not hesitate to recommend them to others.

LightStream Company Information