Call toll free
4.53/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

We're passionate about advocating to help consumers throughout the entire process of purchasing and maintaining a car. CARCHEX Vehicle Protection Specialists are committed to providing consumers with peace of mind by listening to the specific needs of each customer to find the highest level of coverage at the lowest possible price.

View More View More

2128 CARCHEX Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Tashaun helped me and did an excellent job! He is very nice, patient and extremely knowledgeable about my plan. He answered all my questions. He took his time to explain how to continue my current plan and gave me an excellent price for being a continuing customer.

Leslie,

We appreciate your review, and are glad to hear Tashaun was able to assist you!

Get expert buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Daniel and Ryan ** were great. Gave me a very good contract and great customer service. Ryan especially was able to even get me to get out of another contract... Well... I am gullible when it comes to stuff like this but that's besides the point. They were great.

Cyondra,

Thanks for your review. We're glad Dan and Ryan were able to assist you.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I usually check with Consumers Reports online for information on needs I suddenly face, i.e., my warranty policy expired and was in urgent need of replacement. CARCHEX was No. 2 on that list... It is a great relief for me.

Billie,

Thanks for choosing CARCHEX! If there is anything we can do feel free to reach out.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Tyler was very helpful and answered all questions I had about the products I was interested in. He was very polite and easy to talk to. He understood my concerns and respected my reluctance with good character. The product he sold me seems very appropriate for my vehicle and your company was recommended by the dealership I use to repair my vehicle. Since I purchased it, no one but the dealer has worked on it. This warranty will allow me to continue to have the best care for my car to keep it on the road for a long time.

Willie,

We appreciate your review, and are glad to hear Tyler was able to assist you!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

People were calling my phone for extended warranties so I had to call somebody to see if it was real. I called my dad and told him all about CARCHEX. I guess he looked it up and then he told me that I was good to do it. The guy I dealt with was helpful but we got off on a rocky path. He told me about one package then when I went to ask some more questions, he told me it was another package. I asked why he didn't tell me about that package and he said it was more money. I had told him an amount that wasn't what I wanted to spend so he was trying to stay up in that area. But no matter what budget I gave, he was still supposed to try to sell their product. I told him that he should've still told me about the other package because then I wanted the other package.

But we got back on the straight path and I ended up purchasing that higher package. I'm on a payment plan now. I'm paying $148 a month for the warranty and I'm trying to get a few people to go to CARCHEX as well. When CARCHEX sent me my booklet, I read it. And I like it because I believe if my car is in the shop, they would pay for me to rent a vehicle. It's cool. So I'm gonna recommend it.

Anthony,

Thank you for being a CARCHEX customer. If there is anything we can do to further assist you feel free to reach out.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX ?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

My other warranty expired and CARCHEX had a commercial that came right at the time when I was looking for another coverage. The whole process was pretty easy.

Anthony,

We're glad you chose CARCHEX! If there is anything we can do to assist feel free to let us know.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I purchased a vehicle last month and the dealer would only give me a two-year warranty on it. I used CARFAX to get a history of the vehicle, and CARCHEX was in there. I clicked on it, read their reviews and I decided to go with them. They gave me a five-year warranty on the vehicle. Right now, everything seems to be okay.

Bernard,

Thanks for your review. We're glad that everything went well for you.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I have a vehicle in the shop. The dealer told me my torque converter is bad and My 3rd gears is going bad. So they said I need a new transmission. Is the purpose of an extended warranty to prevent you from paying for problem with your vehicle. We CARCHEX hasn't stood by what I trusted them to do. They want me to spend 540.00 to flush transmission fluid before they will fix my bad torque converter. They are trying to use every code in the book to go against paying to fix my vehicle. If I knew they would work against me than for me I would have not went with them. It's crazy. Your warranty company would fight to have to spend more of your money before they fix a broken part. So disappointing. Now I'm thinking about just buying a vehicle and say ** it with the truck and CARCHEX.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I tried CarShield and they were giving me some runaround about covering the drivetrain and they told me that they had to negotiate parts and labor. Mechanics will make $85 an hour that have master’s degrees in automotive science. They charge $100 just to talk to them. You don’t negotiate with a mechanic that cost you $115 an hour to sit. That was an alarm bell for me, so I didn't sign up with them. CARCHEX is associated with Carfax which is a Better Business Bureau certified and accepted. I’m with them at $126 a month for three years. There has been no glitches and so far, so good.

Chris,

Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you are a CARCHEX customer! If you need anything feel free to reach out.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

When my manufacturer warranty ran out, I thought getting an extended warranty was probably best. But I had a CARCHEX warranty before and it hardly covered anything. Their only explanation was that I was being charged two months. I looked at several companies but there was nowhere I could go to get a cheaper rate so it put me in a hole. I was able to get the rate and the coverage that I wanted with CARCHEX but I had to negotiate all that and they played ball. I kept getting transferred. When I requested the price, the rep sent me up to his manager then we went back and forth a few times until we finally decided upon a price. How valuable having a warranty is varies depending on the vehicle. I've got an expensive vehicle to work on so I will save as much as I can. If I can get coverage for 10% of my parts and labor, the warranty would be worth it for me.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

CARCHEX took a good sale but when I got the package, it wasn’t what they said it was. When I spoke to the guy on the phone, he said everything would be covered except for general maintenance and things that my insurance would cover, like if I had an accident and I mess up my radiator. As far as the general maintenance, I have to do oil changes, replace batteries, rotate my tires and things of that nature. He said everything else was covered and he used the word “bumper-to-bumper.”

When I got the policy and I was looking over it the different features that I have on my vehicle weren’t covered, such as the keyless door thing, the keypad. I have a sunroof on my car and the sunroof isn’t covered as well. Brakes or the braking lining or the braking system is covered, but my brake pads aren’t. So because I do preventative maintenance on my vehicle I wasn’t gonna need the policy.

They said that it will cover a transmission but I just got the vehicle at the end of the spring, and I only have about 41,000 miles on my car. Typically, a transmission goes wrong once you get in the hundreds of thousands of miles. When transmissions go out, your warranty would be expired anyway so I’m not gonna pay $2,500 for a warranty that wouldn’t cover a transmission when I need it anyway. I ended up cancelling my policy. The customer service was good but the lady who I spoke to, to cancel my policy was very reluctant in doing so. I know that they have retention goals and it took a little more for me to cancel than I would've liked to, but it had been taken care of.

CARCHEX response

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to read over your Welcome Package to ensure the coverage meets your needs. We offer the 30 day money back guarantee on all of our policies to ensure you are completely satisfied and the coverage meets your needs. With that said, we have cancelled your coverage and refunded your down payment.

With regards to your coverage, you purchased Exclusionary coverage for your 2014 Ford Expedition which is the highest level of coverage available. Your coverage plan protects everything on the vehicle except the items listed under what is not covered in your contract.

As you mentioned, the list of exclusions on the coverage are common maintenance items (oil changes, brake pads, windshield wipers, etc.), physical damage, and cosmetic items like carpet.

The list of exclusions also includes a short list of components that is not covered. While a short list of excluded items, in review of your calls with our team, it is clear the list included several repairs that you have had on your previously owned vehicles. We regret the coverage did not cover these items and we are sorry to lose you as a customer.

If there is anything additional we can do to earn your business, please give us a call at (877)227-2439 Ext. 6001.

Best,

CARCHEX Customer Loyalty Department

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Bill did a great job selling the CARCHEX extended coverage to me. He continued to follow up and kept me informed. He did everything perfectly.

Chris,

Thanks for your feedback. We're glad that you are satisfied with your service here at CARCHEX!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I've had CARCHEX for a few years now and I’ve done three contracts with them. I prefer them over other auto warranty providers as I seem to have good luck with them. My purchase experience with them was fine. I’ve always dealt with the same person. But I just cancelled the protection plan for my vehicle that I purchased from them because I traded the vehicle in. The customer has 30 days to cancel and then it’s pro-rated after that. Other than that, it has been fine with them.

Steve,

Thanks for your feedback. We're glad you are a CARCHEX customer! If you need anything feel free to reach out.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I was very disappointed the way I was treated by the salesperson Mr. Jahmar **. He didn't inform me that in order to cancel my extended warranty once I purchased I was required to write a letter and could not cancel over the telephone, even though I had canceled it within 2 hours of buying. In addition, I had no access to the contract until I bought the extended warranty. In addition, he poorly explained the details of the extended warranty and did not indicate most salient points. I felt that he wasn't concerned about my welfare only his commission.

CARCHEX response

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback. We will review your calls with our representatives and address accordingly.

With regards to cancellation, a written request is required to cancel a Vehicle Service Contract to ensure that is the car has a failure in the future, we have written documentation of the cancellation.

In the past, consumers have cancelled in writing and still claimed to have not requested the cancellation several months later when they had a major repair.This caused our policy to require written cancellation on all requests to cancel coverage.

We apologize for this inconvenience. Please give us a call at (877)227-2439 Ext. 6002 if you have any questions.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Have not used this Warranty yet but hope it pays off in the long run. The Customer Service guys were very helpful and honest and answered my questions before I agreed to purchase this Warranty. Seems to be a wise purchase for my 2006 Jeep Liberty.

Debbie,

Thanks for your feedback. We're glad you chose CARCHEX!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I purchased a used vehicle and the manufacturer’s warranty on it was out, so I looked into getting an extended coverage for it. The customer service of CARCHEX was good. The reps were knowledgeable, although they were a little pushy. But after purchasing the contract with CARCHEX, I started reading reviews and I didn’t like them. So, I cancelled my policy with CARCHEX and I don’t have a contract with them anymore. To cancel, I called them and they gave me the number of the cancellation department. Then I emailed a written note to them and got a confirmation for the cancellation. Three business days later, I got my refund.

Erik,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback. Should you choose to re-instate your policy with us, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

The warranty on my car was running out from when I bought it. So I didn't want to have to go pay out $8,000 or so to put a new motor in a car if I had to. CARCHEX was the cheapest. They were straight up to the point with everything. If I had a question, the specialist answered it. He was very friendly with everything and was easy to talk to. I am doing monthly payments on it and it's set up as a direct auto pay. I used to do auto mechanic, and I know how expensive it is to fix these cars. If I only gotta fork out 100 bucks for something that's gonna cost me two grand, I'll fork out the $100. I've already told a few of my buddies about this company, and they've already called and spoke with them and getting ready to set something up.

Tommy,

Thanks for your feedback. We're glad you chose CARCHEX! Feel free to let us know if you need anything.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Since my mom has been owning a car, all he has gotten are used ones. He has had so much trouble with it spending money out, that people trick him because he is a senior citizen. They say that the car is good but it's not, and he has to pay so much money and he has to get it fixed. This time, he bought a new car, so I wanted to get some coverage to go on the car if something goes wrong with it. I got CARCHEX for him and the purchasing it was great. They were very patient, understanding, and extremely helpful. They explained plans that would work for me and my budget. A vehicle protection plan is very valuable.

Diela,

Thanks for your feedback. We're glad that you were able to choose CARCHEX!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

CARCHEX had the best deal when I was looking for an extended warranty for a used vehicle I purchased. Working with their reps was straightforward. They were very informative and told me everything.

Theodore,

Thanks for your feedback. We are glad it worked out and thank you for choosing CARCHEX!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

My vehicle is a couple of years old. Chrysler only offers the three-year / 36,000 coverage. I have gone on a few nice trips with the vehicle on the road and have put some miles on it and, now, it's 30,000. So, I asked myself if I would trade the vehicle in or take it and buy an extended warranty. I went online and there was a 4.5-star rating for the CARCHEX. They were the highest rating company, so I went with them. Purchasing the warranty was very simple. I did it online and all it took was 15 minutes. I then got a phone call back and I dealt with a fantastic gentleman from the North Side, Chicago. He mentioned that the Titanium Warranty is identical to what the Chrysler offers through Mopar. Everything is very expensive in new cars and if you don't have a warranty, everything is left up to you.

Albert,

Thanks for your feedback. We are glad you chose CARCHEX and are satisfied with your coverage!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I bought a third vehicle that came with no warranty. It was a used car in decent shape and with low mileage for its age. I have extended warranty through the dealerships for my other vehicles so I chose to reach out and get one on this car as well to make sure it's protected in case something happened. I reached out to another company and they were hassling me a lot and trying to force me to go with them, so I blocked their numbers and looked into CARCHEX. They were decent and not pushy. They worked with me to get the best pricing possible and I was pleased. The rep was wonderful in making sure that I was gonna be covered for the main parts in the event that something happened since there are some known issues out there with the vehicles. He was looking out for me a lot as if he was purchasing it and that’s what he would do. He was neat and great. I would recommend CARCHEX.

Daryl,

Thanks for your feedback. We're glad it all worked out with you and you had a positive experience with Carchex!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I have a 2008 Saturn Sky and it's a 10-year old car. Everything has been replaced, so it's in great shape. It's not like it's gonna break down in 1,000 miles, but other things could. For example, I had the compressor go out a couple of weeks ago. I looked into getting a coverage for my car and it looked like CARCHEX might have been a good company and when I talked to Endurance which is the top company, they said that CARCHEX is okay, but they're not that great.

The people at CARCHEX were not honest with me when I bought the plan. They said that I was gonna pay $132 on the first, and then I would wait 30 days, and if I got any incident, I will be covered. However, that's not true. When they sent me the booklet, I read the booklet, and it says 30 days plus 1,000 miles. I don't put that many miles on my car. I drive my car maybe two or three times a week and it would take me forever to make 1,000 miles.

CARCHEX's rep guy talked to us through the phone and the manager got on there. The manager was weird as hell. He kept screaming, talking and did not give me a chance to explain anything. I could not get him to transfer me over to the area to cancel the contract. I told him that with CarShield, it was a 20-day wait time and then I could go ahead and make a claim if I needed to, which I did. Although CarShield fell through on what they covered, there was no 1,000 mile wait time with them.

I told the manager that I wanna be out of this coverage. So I did what they asked me to do online. They sent me something to fill out and I sent it back. Then they sent back another thing, and they said that they needed me to write a letter and tell them all of the things. So, I did that and the letter would go out in today's mail. It was a bad experience with CARCHEX. I keep thinking about it and I think my powertrain is gonna go at least to 200,000 or 250,000. So maybe, I'm just gonna blow the whole thing off because it's in great condition and I would pay for the expenses as they go.

CARCHEX response

Thank you for your review. Based on your feedback, we are reviewing your calls with our employees. CARCHEX takes pride in providing a superior buying experience and we are truly sorry if your experience did not live up.

With regards to some of your other concerns, all of our policies do include a validation period which is added to end of the contract so no time or miles is lost. This is to help ensure the vehicle is in good working order instead of requiring a mechanical inspection prior to purchase.

Your policy includes a 30 Day and 1000 mile validation period which reverts to a 90 day and 200 mile waiting period automatically in the event you do not drive the 1000 miles.

As you discussed with our representatives, the previous coverage had only a 20 day waiting period but the coverage only pays 50% of the costs as stated in the other companies contract. Unfortunately, you found this out with your previous compressor repair under the other companies plan. You agreed this was inferior coverage when you purchased our coverage.

We are truly sorry you had a bad buying experience. If there is anything we can do to earn your business, please let us know. Our Customer Loyalty Department is available at (877)227-2439 Ext. 6001.

At this time, your coverage has been cancelled with a Full Refund processed back to your account.

Best,

Jason

CARCHEX Director of Customer Service

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

My son drives the vehicle and I want him to be safe so having a protection plan is very valuable. When the car was paid off, my son wanted to keep it and I thought we would protect it with an extended coverage. We used CARCHEX over another provider since the salesperson that I worked with explained it better and my questions were answered better by him. He was also very helpful and he was the only person that took the time to call me and explain everything to me. They were willing to compromise a little bit on the price for me as well.

Kerry,

Thanks for your feedback. We are glad you chose CARCHEX! If there is anything we can do to further assist feel free to reach out.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Everybody needs a vehicle protection plan. My husband and I are older and we travel a lot, so we like to have a warranty. My husband researched and found that CARCHEX is nationwide and has a great rating. The representative named Ryan was great too. He informed us of everything and he seemed to know his stuff. Everything was smooth.

Sonia,

Thanks for your feedback. We are glad Ryan was able to assist you!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

The cost of repair of vehicles is expensive. I can get hit with a $500 repair in just a snap of a finger, a couple of hours of the labor and a lot of parts are high tech. So it doesn't take much to get a set of $500 repair or a $1000 repair car warranty. I felt comfortable with the CARCHEX representative I dealt with. He answered most of my concerns. I knew exactly what I wanted, and he gave me time to think about it. Then, he followed my instructions as to when I was ready to buy.

Richard,

Thanks for your feedback. We are glad you chose CARCHEX! Feel free to contact us regarding any other questions.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I drive a lot and wanted extended coverage for my vehicle. I liked the price and customer service of CARCHEX. They weren't pushy and were honest about the price, what the plan included and whether it makes sense to pay absolute. I've been working with the same agent since I've gotten the account. He made sure to call back to check with me and make sure I completely understood what I was buying. I appreciated that. I set up monthly payments, which are affordable. Based on past experiences, having extended coverage is valuable. I know how things just seem to happen with cars at the worst times. Having a warranty where I only have to pay $100 as opposed to paying the whole bill will definitely be beneficial down the line.

Carol,

Thanks for your response. If there is anything else we can do please let us know.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I had some bad experience with an extended warranty company for my vehicle. They asked me to stay but I didn't. I had been with Carchex before for another vehicle and I know they are good so I contacted them and re-established more services with them. Purchasing from them was simple and quick. They still walked me through to let me know how things are. They gave me the same type of plan from my previous vehicle and I got a cheaper and better rate than I had before. It was really good because it fits my budget.

Drayton,

Thank you for your feedback and or being a valued CARCHEX customer! We are glad CARCHEX worked out for you.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I was jerked around with my previous vehicle protection provider. After the warranty got expired, I looked up for another one. I ended up with CARCHEX based on comments, ratings, and reviews that I compared. The mileage is pretty reasonable as far the year goes. The purchasing process was a breeze too and the associate who helped me through the process knew what he was talking about. He's a salesperson, but I never felt like he was just trying to get me to purchase on it. He really told the truth and solidified everything.

Tariq,

Thanks for your feedback. We are happy to hear that it all worked out for you

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Great customer service very personable and very willing to help meet your needs. Even when I thought I was done the manager made the deal even better!!! Best and the deductible being so low will keep my business up and running stress free.

Eric,

Thanks for your feedback. We appreciate you being a customer.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

The regular warranty on my vehicle ran out. It has a lot of electronics on it, so I figured, I'd better get some kinda extra coverage for it. The dealer offered me a certain price for three years and there was no way that I wanted to spend that kind of money on just three years. CARCHEX was the first one I saw online and the coverage they offered was for six years, so I went with them. I had an enlightening and good experience with their reps. They were good as far as any questions I had and they were knowledgeable. The process took a little longer than I expected, but I've never purchased stuff like this before so that was why it was different. And when I compared the cost of the policy to getting a big bad repair bill, it is worth it.

David,

Thanks for your feedback. If there is anything else we can do to assist you feel free to reach out!

CARCHEX expert review by Lauren Fix

Offers multiple customizable tiers of extended auto coverage. All packages include 24/7 roadside assistance, towing and rental car reimbursement. Warranties are transferable or refundable.

• Claims payments: CARCHEX covered claims are paid directly to the repair facility. Most customers find this convenient because they don’t have to wait for reimbursement.

• Options: CARCHEX is not a direct provider. Instead, they act as a broker to get consumers the lowest price on an extended warranty.

• Roadside assistance: All CARCHEX plans include roadside assistance to help customers 24/7. Plans also have Trip Interruption Service to help those whose cars break down while they’re traveling.

• 30-day guarantee: Customers have 30 days to evaluate the CARCHEX’s service. Those who are unsatisfied can request a full refund for a month after their purchase.

• Informational articles: CARCHEX encourages consumers to do research before making an extended auto warranty purchase. The company’s website has an extensive section of informational articles to help consumers understand their options.

• Best for: busy families, high-mileage drivers, new car owners and used car owners.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

CARCHEX Company Information