Call toll free
4.39/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

We're passionate about advocating to help consumers throughout the entire process of purchasing and maintaining a car. CARCHEX Vehicle Protection Specialists are committed to providing consumers with peace of mind by listening to the specific needs of each customer to find the highest level of coverage at the lowest possible price.

View More View More

2403 CARCHEX Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: March 21, 2019

Kerrington was very professional. He took the time and worked with me because I was slow in deciding what I needed and had to call him back. I'm sure he didn't think I was going to make that move but he waited and I really appreciate him.

Get expert buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I was searching the website and found your company with excellent ratings. My 2014 Nissan Altima is in excellent condition. I also want to thank you for my military discount and senior discount. Tashaun ** was very helpful and was of great help. Thanks, Enrique

Original review: March 20, 2019

When I googled CARCHEX, they had good reviews. Purchasing extended coverage from them was simple, but the price was a bit above than what I wanted. I went online, read about it and then I called. The rep had great customer service skills. He didn’t put other companies down, which was a plus for me. I called one company prior that day and they were constantly putting down other companies. I wasn’t interested in hearing about other companies. I wanted to hear about the company I was purchasing from. He made it easy for me. A vehicle protection plan is valuable these days. My car has a lot of electronics in it. And when you start to talk about electronics, the price could get really costly. Plus, you never know what to expect nowadays.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: March 19, 2019

I was looking at extended coverage and Carchex was the first one I called. I usually call several and do some comparing and then make a decision, but the reps were pushy so I ended up signing up. In addition to that, they told me it was bumper-to-bumper and my version of bumper-to-bumper is different than theirs, and that was confusing. After I hung up, I had to speak with other people to verify what I was up against and what I should do. In fact, when I talked to auto mechanics, they didn’t seem to think that Carchex is gonna cover what they said they would.

When I started reading, it started telling things that it didn’t cover, and it was stuff that should have been under bumper-to-bumper. The person at Carchex made it clear to me that it covered everything except for regular maintenance. But when it came right down to it, it was more than just regular maintenance that it didn’t cover. I asked him when I called back, and he told me it's because it's an extended warranty bumper-to-bumper. But he did not differentiate between the two, and I have never heard of a difference between the two. In my book, if it's bumper-to-bumper, it's bumper-to-bumper except for routine maintenance, your tires or your windshield wipers. Everything else, it should cover and Carchex does not.

CARCHEX response

Thank you for your review. Based on your feedback, we reviewed all of your calls with our staff. We appreciate every opportunity to improve our services.

In review of your calls, you spoke with our sales staff. Our staff offered you the highest level of coverage, our Titanium Plus Exclusionary coverage with all of the optional coverage options included. You expressed concerns about the pricing being on a fixed income so our Sales Manager provided additional discounts to help lower the cost.

You expressed concerns about being on an Autopay so the coverage was set up with the remaining payments on Invoicing. This would allow you to mail in payments or go online to make your payments. our staff properly advised you of the coverage, read a full summary of the coverage, and reminded you of the 30 day money back guarantee. You agreed to the terms of the coverage and provided your payment info.

There were (3) additional calls to Customer Loyalty Department requesting to cancel. On the first cal 3/4/2019, you expressed the cost of the contract was too expensive and our staff was able to discount the coverage further to help assist you. You agreed to keep coverage.

The next day, you called again to cancel because of the exclusions listed in the contract. Our representative reviewed the contract with you, addressed every concern, and spent 30 minutes explaining the coverage and answering all of your questions. Again you agreed to keep the coverage.

On 3/18/2019, we received your 3rd call to cancel. You advised us that your son said you should not buy the coverage and this was an unnecessary expense. Our representative sent you the cancellation instructions and assisted you with your cancellation. We received you written request to cancel and processed a full refund back to your credit card today, 3/19/19.

We are sorry to see you cancel but we understand your reasoning. CARCHEX was up front with you every step of the way, we offered the highest level of coverage possible for your 2008 Mazda Tribute, and assisted you at every opportunity.

If there is anything additional we can do to earn your business, please let us know. We can be reached at (877)227-2439 Ext. 6002.

CARCHEX Customer Service

Original review: March 18, 2019

I wanted the confidence that if anything goes wrong with my vehicle, I can get it fixed. I was gonna search online to get a car checked out in another state, and CARCHEX came up for warranties. Their rep was super friendly. He checked out all the numbers for me and it made sense. Everything has been perfect and I'm very satisfied.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX ?

Original review: March 17, 2019

I finished paying the vehicle off a year and a half ago and I was planning on getting a new car, but my daughter turned 18 and I decided to get her a car instead. So I am gonna keep my vehicle longer and I want to make sure it is protected. I shopped around with a couple of different companies and did a bit of research and CARCHEX was the better route for me even if it was a bit more expensive. The CARCHEX rep was fantastic. She followed up all the time and was on top of it. Everything went really well. Having a vehicle protection plan is extremely valuable. God forbid your engine or a transmission blows and that's not a cheap fix. So I got a coverage to avoid any unexpected bombs of repair. With Carchex, you can get one online and it’s a very simple process.

Original review: March 16, 2019

A vehicle protection plan for your car is very valuable and I would recommend CARCHEX. My daughter told me about them and I called and looked into it. They were nice to me and everything has been fine.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: March 15, 2019

Order Coverage on Friday 3/07/2019. Decided to sell truck. Called in to CARCHEX on Monday 3/11/2019 to cancel order. Talked to service adviser. Was told I would receive a E-Mail to complete the cancellation and would receive refund in 2-3 days. Here it is Friday 3 3/15/2019 No E-Mail and no refund.

CARCHEX response

Thank you for your review. According to our records, the cancellation instructions were emailed to you 3/8/2019 at 10:04 AM ET. A 2nd email was sent 3/18/2019 at 4:46 PM with the same instructions.

We have received your request to cancel and processed a full refund today on 3/19/2019. If you have any additional questions or concerns about this matter, please give us a call.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I refinanced my car and looked into getting an extended coverage for it. With a car that you know is gonna last six years, you should have one. I got CARCHEX's number online and did some research on them. Their offer was a lot better than others and they had a lot of better coverage. Plus, there was a lot of help. They had very good guys over there and my purchasing experience was great.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Eric ** provided superb customer service and was extremely courteous. He assisted me in find the right coverage for my classic vehicle at a reasonable price. He was also very professional and made sure I understood the basics of the policy. I'm completely satisfied with the wait period as only drive this vehicle on some weekends.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I bought a car coverage for my daughter. It's for an older vehicle. I bought the coverage for her so that she'd have something to repair her car in case it had mechanical problems. She planned on keeping it for several years, and she'll have 150,000 on it by then, and I won't have to pay for expensive repairs. I read on the internet about the top choices and CARCHEX was one of them. They had one of the better prices.

Also, the representatives were fairly clear. However, the whole thing was kind of a pricing game so they lowered their prices each time I called and they finally wouldn't. And then, I was trying to watch quality with price. I ended up trying to get the best policy and the longest warranty with the best company for the price. The terms of the plan are good. $2,000 is not chicken feed, but considering what it would cost to repair an engine or a transmission nowadays, it wasn't that much money.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I had an excellent experience with R. ** and the 1st gentleman that connected me, they were very clear and I understood what I was getting into so I made a purchase before hanging up. I think I will recommend this company to others because of the representatives. I have not used the product and hopefully will not have to but I feel good knowing I have it.

Original review: March 13, 2019

They explained every detail of the extended warranty and gave me a very reasonable price for what I needed. My representative Brandon ** is very well informed of all the different extended warranty plans and prices.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I purchased a used vehicle and I wanted full coverage being that it’s an older car. You never how other people take care of things, and I wanted to make sure that I wouldn’t be spending a lot of money trying to get the car fixed. I did my research online, read reviews and checked the Better Business Bureau. I tried to see what their ratings are and CARCHEX seemed to be the best one out there. At first the rep seemed a little pushy, but I understand that everybody has a job to do and he tried to make a sale. After I spoke with them and let them know what I was interested in, things got a bit better. He explained everything to me and once I got back in touch with them, everything was fine. The whole process of purchasing the warranty took about 20 minutes. It hasn't been a month that I've been with CARCHEX, but I feel good knowing that I have the coverage.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I called these individuals after doing a standard consumer review on a Saturday morning and asked their representative if they offer extended warranties for my vehicle which is 12 years old and has less than 86,000 miles on her. I was asked if I had all of my service records and I do. I was then told the California rep was busy but would call me back. Please keep in mind that I now have a verbal confirmation to go with what their website stated (warranties to vehicles which are less than 15 years old or having less than 150,000 miles).

I did not receive a callback! I called them again on 3/12/2019 and the California representative would not even get on the phone with me. Instead he had the answering representative tell they don’t offer warranties in the state of California to vehicles older than 10 years old!!! Why not state this up front instead of wasting my time with false expectations? Makes you wonder how well would their service be if/once you are a customer???

CARCHEX response

Thank you for your review. We apologize we were unable to provide vehicle protection for your vehicle in California. We agree that it 100% unacceptable that you did not receive a call back from one of our CA licensed vehicle protection specialists and will address with our staff. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I wanna be covered in case something happened to my vehicle. We were surfing through the internet and I saw CARCHEX had good reviews, although the cost was about average as the rest of the extended coverage providers.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I went to my dealership with an oil consumption issue with my vehicle and had nothing but problems from the start of the warranty process. The communication between the dealership and Carchex were the pitts! I called the administrator of Carchex's warranty and the representative began to inform me of all they were NOT going to cover under my specific warranty. If I had known what I know about Carchex now, I wouldn't have purchased this warranty!!! Buyers please beware.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I decided that acquiring extended coverage for my car would be a good thing. I looked extended coverage providers up on the internet and CARCHEX had 5 stars. I purchased the protection plan over the phone and the customer service reps were helpful. It is nice to know the protection plan is there if I need it.

Original review: March 9, 2019

The guy I worked with was excellent. He obviously was well versed in his field and he was very very helpful. In addition, I found out that the company’s really preferred me to take my vehicle to a Mercedes dealership! That told me they were looking out for my interest!

Clarence,

Thank you for your review and for choosing CARCHEX for your Vehicle Protection needs!

Original review: March 8, 2019

Given the nature of my car, something could go wrong with it and it could be expensive. I also got emails about warranties all the time and I decided to look into it. CARCHEX was one of those people that reached out to me, so I talked to them. I also looked online a little bit about them and I liked what I read. Then reading their contract and so forth, it all seemed solid. So, I decided to purchase from them. I ended up with a plan that pretty much covers the car except for the obvious things that it doesn’t cover. The rep who assisted me was good and he answered a bunch of my questions. When I really pressed for some details, he brought on his manager who answered the few questions that he couldn’t or maybe he just brought his manager in to close the deal.

Even after the fact, I poked around a little bit more about CARCHEX and it's sort of a mixed bag. As with anything you look on, there were people complaining about them but I'm kind of used to that mixed bag, so I'm hoping that they're for real and that things will work out. So far, I haven't seen how the warranty actually works if I ever need it but I'm happy with them.

Thomas,

Your feedback is much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to leave your review with us, and for choosing CARCHEX! Please reach out to us at any time should you have any additional questions regarding your plan.

Original review: March 8, 2019

The warranty I had on my vehicle wasn’t covering anything and I decided to look into extended coverage. I had CARCHEX before and their customer service was excellent. They always wanted to answer any questions. When I had problems with my old vehicle, they assisted me without any problems and made sure that all my repairs got done on time. My old company only covered the powertrain, motor and transmission but CARCHEX offered a much better deal with more coverage on suspension and brakes. It's a bumper-to-bumper warranty at a cheaper price. Plus, the payment plan was very easy to set up. I did it right on the phone when I made my initial payment the day I got the coverage.

Original review: March 7, 2019

My current coverage expired, and I was needing to get an extended coverage. CARCHEX gave me a better price and it covered more vehicles. Their representatives were really good as well.

Christi,

Thank you for leaving your review with us, and for choosing CARCHEX! Very glad we could assist.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I got a used Lexus and it’s such an expensive car. Extended coverage is the best way to go in case I need some repairs. I went online searching and on the online thing, it suggested CARCHEX. I gave them a call. I didn’t really have any ulterior motive for calling them, except that I got a notice that it was a good company. So, I gave them a try. I talked to PJ and I asked him questions that he couldn't answer so he put the service manager on. Ken, the service manager, did most of the legwork as far as selling me over. Then, I had more questions that I called back later and talked to PJ about. They pretty much cleared those up for me.

Rosco,

thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback! Very glad to hear PJ and Ken could assist you. Please reach out at any time should you have any additional questions regarding your plan.

Director of customer Service

Original review: March 6, 2019

This company and the adjuster they use, American Auto Shield, are crooks. My car has been broken down for going on three months and still no information from this company. I have called numerous times and have been put on hold for hours to only have the phone line be disconnected on me just before handing the phone to the mechanic. THIS COMPANY IS PROVIDING SERVICE IN BAD FAITH TO AVOID PAYING RIGHTFUL CLAIMS. I am about to make my third monthly payment after my claim was filed. I am now in the process of hiring an attorney.

CARCHEX response

Thank you for your review. We apologize for your claims experience with American Auto Shield. As we discussed, CARCHEX has contacted American Auto Shield to help expedite your claim.

We appreciate the opportunity to help resolve this issue.

CARCHEX Director of Customer Service

Original review: March 6, 2019

One of the worst companies to deal with and I am so glad that I decided to cancel my warranty plan. They're super fast to get you a warranty, set up interest free payment plans and get your credit card info for the first payment. DO NOT GET CAUGHT! Hold time for sales - 0.5 seconds. Hold time for customer service - No one picks up most of the time and they have you leave a message and never call you back. Try for yourself if you don't believe me. They have about 10 times more people for sales than for customer service. It tells you how much you're worth to them after you purchase. And here's the cancellation process after you purchase directly from the email I got.

"Below are the instructions for canceling the Vehicle Protection Plan on your... Please write a letter including all of the requested information below and mail to: Attention: CARCHEX Processing Department 118 Shawan Road Suite 210 Baltimore MD, 21030. Cancellation Requests Must Include: Today’s Date. First and Last Name. Address. Vehicle Year, Make, and Model. Vin Number. Cancellation Odometer Reading. Contract #. Select one of the Following Reasons: A. Vehicle Sold or Traded (Please include Bill of Sale or Trade in Documentation). B. Repossession/Theft/Total Loss (Please include Total Loss Documentation or Police Report). C. Coverage Didn’t Meet Needs. D. Too Expensive. E. Claims Dispute. Customer Signature. Please note that cancellations are processed based on the terms of the vehicle service contract. If there is a refund due, please allow 45-60 days for the refund to be processed."

Seriously? Write a letter to that address for a cancellation? We're living in 2019 and they process their cancellations through mail only! I could only imagine trying to get a claim through these guys. Do a bit of research for yourself and read some of the reviews people give their providers. The one I got was "American Auto Shield". You do not get your warranty through Carchex. They just sell contracts. I would stay away from this company. Their business model is set up around persuasive sales, extreme tight policies with wording that give them enough leverage to deny most claims and worst customer service.

CARCHEX response

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. Based on your review, your concerns are directed at the administrator of the coverage. We are happy to address your concerns.

CARCHEX is a retailer of Vehicle Service Contracts offering Vehicle Service Contracts from the industries leading administrators including American Auto Shield.

The advantage in buying from CARCHEX is we can offer the best available coverage available for your vehicle. We also provide you with our own customer service team to work on your behalf anytime there is a claims issue or concern.

According to our records, you purchased coverage for your 2016 Honda Civic on 2/26/2019. Your contract is still within the validation period and 30 day money back guarantee portion of your contract.

We are aware of long hold times with American Auto Shield to file claims and speak with their customer service teams as they are experience major systems issues and high call volume. We have been assured by American Auto Shield they are doing everything possible to resolve this as quickly as possible.

Our CARCHEX Customer Service Team is available at (877)227-2439 Ext. 6002 and answering calls right away from our customers. Your call was answered in a timely manner today when you called CARCHEX to cancel your contract. On this call you were sent cancellation instructions to cancel your coverage. Our staff properly advised you to reply to the email to cancel your coverage.

Please be aware the email you copied into your review is intended for coverage that has exceeded the 30 days from purchase. The insurer of the contract does require a wet signature on a letter from customers to properly cancel the coverage.

Because you were within 30 days, an email reply was sufficient. Refunds during the money back guarantee take approximately 3 business days to show up in your account if a credit or debit card was used at the time of purchase. If you would like to cancel your coverage, please respond to the email.

If you would like to discuss this matter further, please give us a call at (877)227-2439 Ext. 6002.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Bill was excellent and I could've had a better person. He was very knowledgeable about the product and was very descriptive. Thanks for all of your help and I look forward to doing business with you in the future. Blessings!!!

Trotter,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! Very glad to hear Bill was able to assist you.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I looked into acquiring extended coverage for my vehicle because it has a lot of miles. I bought coverage from CARCHEX and my experience with their customer service was excellent.

Alysia,

thank you for sharing your experience! Very glad to hear we could assist.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I was already with a different extended coverage provider and I wasn’t satisfied with the service so, I switched over to Carchex. I read up some reviews and they had some good ones. Their customer service was pretty excellent and helpful. When I inquired about the packages, they kinda went in-depth more so than other ones I dealt with. They told me exactly what the package is going to cover. Also, setting up the payment plan was fairly easy. Everything went well.

Mark,

We appreciate your feedback! Thank you for your review, and for choosing CARCHEX!

Director of Customer Service

Original review: March 4, 2019

I purchased a used vehicle but it didn’t have a warranty with it and I wanted to make sure that if anything goes wrong, I won’t have to be spending out of my pocket. I wanted to make sure that if anything goes wrong with the engine, it will be covered. I checked with a couple of places but CARCHEX was the best. Their rep, Bill, explained everything to me. He was a good guy and he put all that my warranty covered. He also told me that I would be getting a package in the mail which I did. The interaction was pleasant and I felt good that I got the coverage. I’m satisfied with CARCHEX and I’d recommend them to a stranger on the street.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: March 3, 2019

The car dealership provided a more expensive option for an extended warranty, so I looked at alternative options. I requested a quote from CARCHEX and they got back to me. It was a straightforward process. I was thoroughly assisted by the rep and he gave me every information that I needed. My initial experience with CARCHEX was good. However, I cancelled and the process is taking a while. I sent Adam an email a couple days ago and he told me that he was gonna put the process in place, but I still haven’t heard back from him if it was cancelled or not.

CARCHEX response

Thank you for your review. According to our records, your policy was purchased 2/27/2019. The policy was cancelled on 3/4/2019 with a FULL refund issued back to your credit card on 3/4/2019. Based on your review, we pulled all of our emails to your address and verified our representative did email you on 3/7/2019 as confirmation the cancellation was completed.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please give us a call.

CARCHEX Company Information