4.72/5
Based on 485 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

We're passionate about advocating to help consumers throughout the entire process of purchasing and maintaining a car. CARCHEX Vehicle Protection Specialists are committed to providing consumers with peace of mind by listening to the specific needs of each customer to find the highest level of coverage at the lowest possible price.

CARCHEX Video
CARCHEX Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: May 24, 2018

1792 CARCHEX Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 24, 2018

Your representative was very persistent and went above and beyond to help me get the coverage I needed. I would highly recommend him to others. The prices were competitive and the coverage was equal to other sites. What sold me was the customer service. Thank you.

Jami,

Thank you for leaving your feedback with us! Very glad to hear your Protection Specialist was able to assist you. Happy to have you as a customer, and thank you for choosing CARCHEX!

Get expert buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I didn't have an extended warranty for my truck and the plan I had just went out. I started looking for a different warranty and CARCHEX popped up. Purchasing the protection plan from CARCHEX was great. The person I spoke with was very knowledgeable about the program and he explained everything to me. He was a nice man, gave me all the right information and assisted me very well. Having a vehicle protection is very valuable. You never know what you might come across. You might be paying a little bit in the beginning but in the long run, it’ll help you out. All in all, everything has been great with CARCHEX.

Carl,

We appreciate your review! Glad to hear your Protection Specialist was able to assist in setting you up with coverage. Please reach out at any time should you have any additional questions regarding your plan!

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: May 21, 2018

I purchased a used car and I wanted to make sure that I had coverage so I decided to go through CARCHEX. They had good reviews so I went with them. However, our experience has not been very good. CARCHEX debited my account after they told me that they were refunding my money because it says that it is totally refundable, but they did not. I also had trouble getting the bank to do it and had to go through all kinds of hoops to get my money back. They need to stand behind what they say and mean what they say and not just give me a really nice song and dance story, and then not get my money back to me. We are not talking a lot of money. I’m talking like $135. But for the whole thing, I don’t want it. As far as I’m concerned, I don’t recommend CARCHEX at all.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I bought a used vehicle and got CARCHEX for extended coverage. It was really easy to buy and I had an easy interaction with the rep. He was good and he took care of purchasing the policy. I'd recommend CARCHEX.

Leana,

Glad to hear we could assist in setting you up with coverage for your vehicle! We appreciate your review!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 19, 2018

I went online, looked at extended auto warranty companies and spoke at length with their representatives. Then I entered into Dodge Nitro and the guy sent the paperwork. I signed it but I hadn’t sent it back to them for another warranty company. Then I went against them and went to CARCHEX instead because the guys there were a little more informative. They had a good idea and knowledgebase on what the warranty entailed, and that was comforting. Also, CARCHEX’s coverage included wear and tear, where others waited for a complete failure and breakdown, so that was very attractive.

Getting set up with CARCHEX was easy, too. I filled out the application and made sure I gave them the right miles of the car. Then I gave them money and they promised to fix my car if it breaks down. I’ve been screwed by another warranty company before, Fidelis, and hopefully, it doesn’t happen again. Also, I’ve spoken to my sales rep at CARCHEX and he sent me an email and gave me his direct contact information. So, if I had an issue or problem, I could reach out to him and that’s different than what I’ve had when I had the Fidelis account, so that personal side was helpful.

All in all, having the protection plan is important and I’m paying a little over $5000 to protect the future issues if they may arise. And if I’m gonna keep a car for a longer period of time, and I don’t intend on getting another one in the next three to five years, then I find the plan vital, at least to protect my interest. I could gamble and not get it at all and just pay when I have a problem, but why do that if I can buy it to take care of the problems?

Rick,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! We appreciate your review. Please reach out at any time should you have any additional questions regarding your plan.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX ?

Original review: May 19, 2018

My warranty ran out on the car so I purchased another one. I’ve tried to call the providers I’ve seen on TV, but they didn’t answer the phone or it was just a line load of crap, so I did the online search and the first one was not a good one and I wasn’t happy with them. It was about four days later when CARCHEX called and they were $2,000 less than the one I had talked to previously. It was that much of a difference and the more the rep went on it, he had all the coverages I wanted. Purchasing the vehicle protection plan from CARCHEX was easy. The protections specialist that helped me set it up was good. It’s idiotic not to have a vehicle protection plan and I wish I had done this before. Now, when I drive off on my car going down the street, I’m not in a panic.

Deborah,

We appreciate your feedback! Happy to hear your Protection Specialist was able to assist in setting you up with coverage for your vehicle. Please reach out at any time should you have any additional questions regarding your plan. Thank you for your review, and for choosing CARCHEX!

Original review: May 18, 2018

Very Pleased with the service and happy with the price of my coverage. Chris ** really did a great job finding me the right policy. What else can I say, service excellent, found exactly what wanted and the price is Right!

Mary,

Thank you for your review! Happy to hear Chris was able to assist you!

Original review: May 18, 2018

I was buying a used vehicle and for the cost of the vehicle, it makes sense to protect it from future loss. CARCHEX was recommended to me and initially, they were cheaper for what I thought was equal or better allowances in the policy. It turned out that the third party vendor that they use happened to cover a handicap modified vehicle. They were able to cover more as far as the modifications go.

The specialist was very helpful, knowledgeable and explained everything. I was talking to the initial representative’s manager regarding the modification and the particular coverage on whether it’s available or not. He was trying to make it sound that there was no other policy out there that was gonna cover that and that’s something that I’d have to have covered by the manufacturer. It turned out that wasn’t the case. This may be an exception but the company ended up acquiring one. I’m sure they work with anybody but the dealership works exclusively with them so they are more familiar with the modifications. They may also have an agreement to cover them which makes sense so, that’s what the manager explained or what he was telling us why he has been covering. It was not common that they would be covered by a list of your competitors and in this case, they were. And that made me decide to go to someone else, ultimately.

Chandler,

Thank you for your feedback, and your review!

Original review: May 17, 2018

Service representative could not help me sent me to supervisor. I believe that he was a little pushy with selling the packet I finally bought, possibly regretting it. Was not sure if wanted it. Felt like I was pressured into it.

Original review: May 17, 2018

My vehicle's factory warranty expired. I looked into getting an extended coverage for it and CARCHEX was highly rated by the Better Business Bureau and other websites ranked them very highly in top three. Also, the representative I worked with, Cory, was very helpful and able to answer all my questions. He sent over resources showing a comparison with other warranty programs and was very frank about the price. He was also persistent. He kept checking back every two weeks and ultimately when I was ready, I gave him a callback. He made everything very easy.

Jose,

Glad to hear Corey was able to assist in setting you up with coverage! Thank you for the feedback, and for leaving your review!

Original review: May 17, 2018

I've had CARCHEX in the past and we bought a used vehicle for my daughter. This time, I went online and looked up some warranties and CARCHEX was one of those companies that were mentioned. My experience in purchasing the plan from CARCHEX was easy. The rep explained everything very well and I really didn’t feel like they were pushing me or convincing me to get it and get it right now, so it was good. Having a vehicle protection plan is very valuable and useful to me. And CARCHEX has been good so far.

Kathy,

Thank you for sharing your experience, we're glad we could assist and set you up with coverage for another one of your vehicles!

Original review: May 16, 2018

Aaron is very customer oriented and thorough. He supplied written information about the warranty and answered all my questions. You should reward Aaron as an example for all your reps! And he definitely is a good reflection for your company.

Jim and Sally,

Thank you for the review! Very glad to hear Aaron was able to assist you!

Original review: May 16, 2018

I work a lot and drive around different projects and getting an extended car coverage would be a wise investment. I got a plan from CARCHEX and it was super easy and no hassle to do. I just gave them my information, told him what I wanted and they got it done. I talked to the rep on the phone and we didn't have any issues. He called me before it started and let me know that everything was good to go. And if I ever need anything just give him a call. CARCHEX has good cost and service overall.

Jacob,

Thank you for leaving your review with us! We appreciate your feedback and are glad we could assist you. Please reach out at any time should you have any additional questions regarding your plan.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Helpful friendly. Only thing my car was still under warranty by the months as the miles just ran out. I have to wait another 1000 miles or a month to make a claim. Ugh. It would have been nice to start it immediately as I have had no claims in a few months.

Hi Pat,

Thank you for your feedback! The 30 day, 1000 mile waiting period is actually an industry standard. If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to us directly and we would be happy to assist! Thank you for choosing CARCHEX!

Original review: May 15, 2018

My overall experience with CARCHEX was okay. I understood what they said and I'm happy with the service.

Dorris,

Thank you for leaving your review with us!

Original review: May 15, 2018

When I bought my Cadillac, its warranty was only for 30 days. It's a good car and it's got low mileage so I figured I would need an extended warranty just in case anything goes wrong, especially with the electrical system. I was with Ethos Group at first but I wasn't happy with what they were offering. So I went and did my due diligence and went online, and CARCHEX came up. I read their reviews and I was happy and satisfied with them, so I called. They had everything that I wanted and needed to be covered just in case and I would be paying the same price. The rep made me feel comfortable, answered all my questions and broke everything down to me in layman's terms so I understood what I was buying and what they were offering. I was comfortable with everything that we spoke about and no suspense was left out. I highly recommend CARCHEX.

Tyronne,

Thank you for the review! Happy to hear we could assist in setting you up with coverage for your Cadillac. Please reach out at any time should you have any additional questions regarding your plan. Thanks for choosing CARCHEX!

Original review: May 14, 2018

I have an extended warranty before and it expires this coming June. CARCHEX was cheaper than the other warranty providers, so I went with it. I checked online and then I called the number right there and talked to their agent, Ben. He's knowledgeable and so far, my interaction with him is okay. CARCHEX is a good idea in the future and it's valuable for comfortable driving. I’ll recommend CARCHEX to my friends.

Oscar,

Thank you for leaving your review with us! Happy to hear Ben was able to assist in setting you up with coverage for your vehicle. We appreciate your feedback.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I bought an extended coverage through another extended warranty company, Endurance. I found out that the people they call is just a broker and that the people who are selling the policy to you will tell you anything to get the sale. And when it comes down to getting things done, all these things are not covered. I needed a thermostat and it cost me $900 out of pocket, and the warranty company wouldn't pay for it. The dealership said that the radiator needed to be replaced. They don't put that on the warranty, but the rep from Endurance told me that the whole cooling system was covered when I bought it.

CARCHEX was recommended by the dealership, and I also got positive feedback from the Mercedes dealership that CARCHEX was a more reputable company than the one I bought. They also covered more things for quite a bit more money. I had nothing but good things with the guy from CARCHEX that sold it to me, and the way he explained it to me. He called me back several times. I told him I wanted to make sure those were the parts and things that needed to be covered. Then he went back and modified it. I was told to cover the concern with smaller items that wouldn't be out of pocket instead of all the pistons on the inside.

Having a protection plan is very valuable. I would tell others to read the policy and the things covered real close, talk to the salesman, see if he's a good guy and ensure that the parts and things that they say are covered without all the fine print. I got my brochure and I read most of it and CARCHEX covered a whole lot more things. I'm just waiting on CARCHEX to come into effect before I cancel the other one. I've been paying for that for several months, so I kept it on there just long enough.

Ronnie,

Thank you for leaving your detailed review with us! We appreciate your feedback, and are happy to hear you enjoyed speaking with our Protection Specialist. Please reach out at any time should you have any additional questions regarding your plan.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I bought an older vehicle that's in really good shape. But I can be using it to travel around and I wanted to make sure I have something that is covered if something goes wrong. I tried quotes from a few different places and CARCHEX was the best. When they called me, they gave me a quote and their plan was competitively-priced. Purchasing the coverage was really simple. They were also very knowledgeable about their plans. The rep discussed things with me and he was not pushy. Dealing with CARCHEX was a pleasant experience. It's also nice to know that if something major happens, the vehicle's covered.

Stanley,

Glad we could assist in getting coverage for you and your vehicle. Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and for choosing CARCHEX!

Original review: May 12, 2018

I have an expensive vehicle that requires expensive parts, and I know that with all cars, parts will fail. I needed to find the top 5 warranty companies and CARCHEX came up either as one or two each time. I spoke with a guy named Geoff and he handled everything for me real good. He found me a really decent price on my warranty, filled me in on everything and got everything rolling for me. I liked dealing with him and he was easy to deal with. I told him I was busy during the day and he called me back at the end of the day, which I really appreciated. He got all my information and took my payment on the phone. He set everything up for the end of the month and that was cool.

This was the first time it was easy for me 'cause I'd bought extended warranties at car dealers and they didn't really explain. When you're buying a car, that's usually the last process. Because I owned my car outright, I knew I had to protect it, and that made it easy for me 'cause all I had to focus on was buying the warranty. Knowing how parts on BMWs are, using CARCHEX just one time will be worth it. And with my luck, I'll never use it because I maintain my cars. I just wanna know that I have it in case something catastrophic happens.

Jeffrey,

We appreciate your review! glad to hear Geoff was able to assist in setting you up with coverage for your vehicle, and that you enjoyed your experience with us thus far. Thank you for choosing CARCHEX!

Original review: May 11, 2018

Extremely easy to work with in obtaining a warranty for my son in CA. Ryan was very helpful and answered all my concerns. Would definitely recommend CARCHEX. Their prices are excellent compared to some of the other companies out there.

Gloria,

Thank you for leaving your review with us! We are happy to hear Ryan was able to assist in setting you up with coverage for your vehicle. Please reach out at any time should you have any additional questions regarding your plan!

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: May 11, 2018

I googled used car warranty and I read about CARCHEX. I called them and they gave me good advice to set to my category. So I agreed. However, I found out that the service was different than what I asked. I called them about it and the customer service rep told that they'll look it up and they'll tell me. Then I got a callback and they told me no and kept it the same. Their customer service is not good. I will just finish the contract and then I will cancel it. Don't go with CARCHEX.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Great service. Good sale! Glad I heard their radio ad so Nikki could help me out and make sure that my car is insured for the next 100k Miles! Nice to have the peace of mind that I don’t have to worry.

Jared,

Thank you for your review! Glad to hear Nikki was able to assist you!

Original review: May 10, 2018

I was looking at new cars and I finally decided to get a warranty from CARCHEX 'cause I have a Volvo that's getting old. I've had a good experience buying the policy and my dealing with the protection specialist was great. The guy stayed on me, calling me from months after months and I finally told him I'm not gonna get it and then I went with it. I'm just gonna call in monthly and make the payment. I've been with them for less than a month but so far, I'm very happy with CARCHEX. It's reliable and I'd recommend it.

Christine,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! Happy to hear you enjoyed speaking with your Protection Specialist, and he was able to assist in setting you up with coverage for your vehicle.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I've had CARCHEX before for my vehicle and I have them again. I spent $3500 for it. Their rep was very nice and in both times that I’ve used him, he did a good job.

Richard,

We appreciate your review. Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and also for being a loyal CARCHEX customer!

Original review: May 9, 2018

I was thinking of selling my Jeep but then I decided to hold on to it as an extra vehicle. I wanted to make sure that I had coverage since there are a lot of things on it that can possibly go wrong. It's for peace of mind. I did some research and I decided to go with a company based on their customer approach like calling me back and sending me the quotes timely. The person whom I spoke to at CARCHEX answered all my questions, sent me comparisons and informed me of some differences that I might not be aware of. He was thorough and followed through. The plan was a little bit more but the process until now has been excellent. I'm glad that I have the insurance. It would be really valuable if I need it.

Lisa,

Glad to hear your Protection Specialist was able to set you up with coverage for your vehicle. Thank you for sharing your experience with us, we appreciate your review!

Original review: May 8, 2018

Ben ** was great! Explained everything to me and was patient while I did my research. He made the process quick and easy which is nice for a full time working mom and mother of 2! Thanks Ben ** for the EXCELLENT customer service!

Chasity,

Thank you for leaving you review with us! Very pleased to hear Ben was able to assist you.

Original review: May 8, 2018

We recently paid off my car and we're gonna give it to our son. He has never had the responsibility of a car and he's gonna be away at college, so we decided to get an vehicle protection plan on the vehicle because we wanna make sure he was covered. We checked out three warranty providers and at first, CARCHEX didn’t offer us the best deal. But they matched somebody else’s that we were gonna go with, so we went with them. The specialist we worked with was pretty straightforward and cordial. He had a real grasp of knowledge on their product and he answered every question I had. I would let my friends know about CARCHEX.

Terrell,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and for choosing CARCHEX for your vehicle protection!

Original review: May 7, 2018

I just purchased a vehicle and I knew I was gonna get an extended warranty but I didn’t wanna buy the one through the dealership because they're usually higher. I spoke with the specialist from CARCHEX last Thursday and he went over everything with me as far as the price and what I get in the plan. He emailed it to me and I told him that I’m gonna think about it and will also check with a couple of other companies. I did and then I emailed him back later that evening after he sent me that quote. I asked him about a higher protection because the original plan that he sent me was a little bit less coverage. And so, he sent me the new coverage that I was looking at and applied for that.

He called me around lunchtime the next day and asked me what company I was looking at going with. I told him it was Endurance and they gave me a cash price. He talked to his manager and they beat it by $130 so I decided to go with them. I told him I wanted something in writing before I give him my credit card information and he got a little pushy at that point because they haven't got anything in writing. It didn’t go through the bank anyway and he ended up calling me back but he was very nice. A vehicle protection plan is very valuable especially when purchasing a used vehicle that is out of its warranty from the dealership or the manufacturer so everybody should get one.

Lauren,

We appreciate the feedback, and your review! If you have any additional questions regarding your plan, please don't hesitate to reach out at any time. thank you for choosing CARCHEX!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 6, 2018

I looked into getting an extended coverage as a safety net. I called CARCHEX and they responded on time. They informed me about the plan and when I asked them about the coverage, they said yes to everything. They also said that I had to wait for one month or 1000 miles before I could make my first claim. They gave a positive answer to every single one of my negatives like when I asked why they had so many bad reviews and customer complaints. They took me down to the Better Business Bureau website and told me that they addressed all customer complaints so they have an 8+ rating with the Bureau. That convinced me to go ahead and move forward with them.

The rep who I worked with was agitated by some of my questions but in spite of that, I got the thing done when I talked to a manager. The manager gave me the deal I was looking for. Initially, they were asking for $3,600 for the plan I was interested in but I negotiated the price to $2,800 and they accepted. That was a huge price reduction. Overall, I had a great experience with CARCHEX.

Omer,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and leaving your review. Glad we could assist! Please reach out at any time should you have any additional questions regarding your plan.

CARCHEX expert review by Lauren Fix

CARCHEX started as a company that performed vehicle inspections for those purchasing a car. It began offering vehicle service contract (VSC) protection in 2004, and it displays a strong commitment to customer service. Endorsements from names like CarFax, Lending Tree, DMV.org, Cars.com and more give them a well-earned reputation for excellence.

• Claims payments: CARCHEX covered claims are paid directly to the repair facility. Most customers find this convenient because they don’t have to wait for reimbursement.

• Options: CARCHEX is not a direct provider. Instead, they act as a broker to get consumers the lowest price on an extended warranty.

• Roadside assistance: All CARCHEX plans include roadside assistance to help customers 24/7. Plans also have Trip Interruption Service to help those whose cars break down while they’re traveling.

• 30-day guarantee: Customers have 30 days to evaluate the CARCHEX’s service. Those who are unsatisfied can request a full refund for a month after their purchase.

• Informational articles: CARCHEX encourages consumers to do research before making an extended auto warranty purchase. The company’s website has an extensive section of informational articles to help consumers understand their options.

• Best for: busy families, high-mileage drivers, new car owners and used car owners.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

CARCHEX Company Information