Accredited Partner

Call Now Toll Free
Get Pricing
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.34/5

We're passionate about advocating to help consumers throughout the entire process of purchasing and maintaining a car. CARCHEX Vehicle Protection Specialists are committed to providing consumers with peace of mind by listening to the specific needs of each customer to find the highest level of coverage at the lowest possible price.

BOTTOM LINE

CARCHEX is an affordable extended auto warranty option, in addition to being a great choice for high-mileage cars. Although CARCHEX's contracts can be difficult to comprehend, their representatives can help you understand what you're getting into.

PROS

• Accepts high-mileage cars
  • Partners with charitable organizations
  • Affordable plans available
  • Available in California

CONS

• Some contracts are non-renewable
  • Exotic vehicles not covered

Top CARCHEX Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX ?

I have had CARCHEX in the past and was very satisfied with their service. I have returned and am sure I can expect the same high quality service as before. I shopped around and the price is more than fair. I would recommend this extended warranty to anyone.

These people are great, military friendly, fast and courteous. They treat you look like family and not just another customer. I was expecting to wait on hold for extended period of time but they answered right away. I would recommend this company to anyone looking for an extended warranty.

CARCHEX Call Now Toll Free (866) 254-0172 Get Pricing
Call Now Toll Free

CARCHEX cost

The average price for a five-year contract is about $1,500, making CARCHEX a highly affordable option. You can expect to pay approximately 2 cents per mile of coverage. CARCHEX prices are some of the lowest rates around. Costs do vary, though, based on your vehicle’s mileage, year, make and model. The mileage coverage can range from 36,000 miles to 125,000. The best way to get an idea of the cost is to get a quote directly from CARCHEX.

CARCHEX allows a maximum payment schedule of 24 months. This allows customers a long time to pay off their extended auto warranty. No down payment is required during this period. CARCHEX accepts all major credit cards and also has a 30-day money back guarantee in the case that you decide CARCHEX isn’t right for you. You won’t be charged a penny.

CARCHEX plans

CARCHEX offers five coverage options. These options have further plans to choose from, making sixteen choices in all. Every CARCHEX warranty is, at a minimum, a powertrain warranty. This means that the transmission, drive axles, engine and the rest of the vehicle’s powertrain are covered.

Plan nameType of coverageTerm lengthsBest for
Titanium CoverageBumper-to-bumper7–10 yearsComprehensive coverage
Platinum CoverageStated-component5–10 yearsShort-term coverage
Gold CoverageComprehensive5–10 yearsVehicles over 60,000 miles
Silver CoverageEssential6–7 yearsBasic coverage
Bronze CoverageMajor systems5–6 yearsAffordability

CARCHEX coverage

Customers must wait 30 days and 1,000 miles before the extended auto warranty coverage from CARCHEX kicks in. This is a standard requirement among extended auto warranty providers. Not every CARCHEX extended warranty is renewable. Make sure to inquire about this beforehand when speaking with a representative. CARCHEX limits coverage to cars under 150,000 miles.

Additional benefits from CARCHEX include towing, lockout services, flat tire changes, rental car coverage, roadside assistance and emergency fuel delivery for when you’ve run out of gas. You can also use the CARCHEX mobile app to help you find a certified vehicle repair facility nearby. This is especially important because all repairs must be performed by ASE-certified mechanics. Optional coverage includes emissions coverage, key fob protection and luxury electronics coverage.

A CARCHEX auto warranty can’t cover everything; for example, modified vehicles aren’t covered. This includes anything that wasn’t originally installed, like oversized tires, lift kits or a trailer hitch. It also won’t cover regular maintenance items like oil changes, new tires, wiper blades, spark plugs and some other basic car repairs.

Another big pro of CARCHEX is that coverage is available in California. Due to certain regulations, many extended auto warranties do not offer coverage there. CARCHEX is an exception.

Is CARCHEX worth it?

CARCHEX is worth it to those considering an extended auto warranty. The cost of CARCHEX is very low. In fact, it might be the cheapest you will find. In addition to their regular coverage, CARCHEX’s additional benefits like roadside service and fuel delivery can provide major peace of mind while you’re traveling. Plus, their app can help you find a compliant repair service location, so you know you’re in good hands. If you’re considering purchasing an extended auto warranty for your vehicle, make sure to consider CARCHEX.

CARCHEX Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX ?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

I usually buy new vehicles because I like to have a warranty on the vehicle. We're now trying to do a Dave Ramsey program and we are trying to pay for things without financing so I was looking into getting a used car. I had seen CARCHEX on the Carfax website so I called and I talked to a gentleman. He was so helpful and explained to me the ins and outs. He was honest about the pros and the cons.

But I did not end up buying the car that I was going to look at and I told the guy that we were still searching. He was so nice and told me that he would check back in on me. He called me back and asked if I had found a car. I still haven't yet. I wanted a convertible bug. It's a 2013 with 49,000 miles on it. The guy called again and by then, I told him we were getting the car that day and if he were to call me in the afternoon, we would talk. I told him my needs and my wants. He was going through it and he said 30,000 miles would come first. I couldn't do that because I put 30,000 miles on my car in a year. That was not going to be a three-year warranty for me. That was gonna be a one-year warranty.

But the guy was so thorough and was one of the best as far as dealing with anybody on the phone. He explained the differences like “I’m gonna put you on this. Your deductible will go down, but you're gonna lose some of your coverage. We’re going with a longer warranty.” In the end, I got the 100,000-mile three-year warranty. My car is covered until 150,000 miles and I couldn't believe it.

I checked with the Better Business Bureau and CARCHEX has an A rating with them. I checked out some of the reviews and what people were saying about them. I had seen that the CARCHEX is rated number one right now as far as car warranties. I felt very confident in my purchase. I also asked the guy if we could get the service cheaper if we were to pay all at once. We saved about $800.

I was not with my husband when I was making these decisions and I told the guy that. He said he would make it easier for me. He said he would put me down where I would only get charged as if I paid the policy in one payment. But they would set it up on six payments at 444, which was fine. Now, I have this nice car with a 100,000-mile warranty on it and it's paid for.

I was very satisfied with the customer service and with what I hope to get as the product. My mechanic told me that car warranties are great but sometimes they would screw you. They would send somebody out and would want the mechanic to tear the motor down completely. They would then say, "Well you didn't change the oil like you were supposed to. This is neglect." The motor's on the floor but the warranty company would not pay for it. I realize that there are things that may come along with the warranty but if I get what I was told for the cost that I was told, I will be extremely satisfied.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

I bought a BMW with high mileage on it. I was trying to figure out who would be the best to go with for coverage, and CARCHEX was the first that popped up. They had an A-plus with the Better Business Bureau as well. It was a little bit rocky at first. I was trying to see what pricing was and things of that nature. The next in pricing or next to somewhere reputable was CarShield. I went back and forth with them. CarShield was offering me a warranty of 1,000 off cheaper, but I had to look at the reviews, the Better Business Bureau rating. I went back to CARCHEX ‘cause they have a price match guarantee. When I explained to them things from my point of view, they worked with me. They didn't match the price, but they knocked $400 off the price of my warranty. They’re a company and they wanna get as much as they want. If customers wanna negotiate services, they'll negotiate so that's one good thing.

The protection specialist was a good guy. I asked a lot of questions like what doesn't the warranty cover. He explained to me everything that wasn't covered, so that way, I could make sure I got the right plan that was appropriate for what I was trying to do. He answered any questions, gave me his number, and sent out information the same day. He was very helpful. The thing that dragged customer service down for me, and it was partially my fault, was I called later in the day. A lot of times, I don't get off work before 5:00 or 6:00 so I called around the time it was five and a half hours before they closed and they bounced me around so much. They hung up on me twice. I’m attributing that to people who were leaving early, and they had a lack of representatives to handle calls, ‘cause the next day when I called back, there wasn't any of that stuff going on.

Having this warranty is very valuable to me. I have a couple of friends that had this car and they’ve told me that when getting a small repair, it gets very costly. A repair could be $1,200 to $1,500 for just a basic one. So, to pay for $2,500 for a warranty that’ll last five years is pretty good. Just knowing that when I’m riding down the road, if anything happens, I can choose the warranty shop of my choice and I don't have to wait till something breaks completely down. If I notice any noise or anything that’s abnormal, I can take it in and CARCHEX will cover it. They're a great company and they’re customer service-oriented. I had a bad experience, but it was quickly rectified. As long as their customer service is good, they'll be around for a little while.

Original review: June 5, 2020

I researched the internet on different places and sent messages out here in their email. CARCHEX was the third person to contact me that didn’t seem like they were playing any games at the time. It seemed like they really want to get something going. Everybody else were leaving messages and calling me at work. CARCHEX was the only ones that worked with me on that.

When they called, I was listening what they said and they said something different from what I’ve already researched. The rep told me a little bit about the program and what’s going on with it. What he said was right from what he told me about and from my past experiences dealing with matters like this. They got a plan. He took my information and then he came back with an email the next day saying, “Hey. We’ve got this plan. Have you reviewed it?” I haven’t even had a chance to review it yet. But I reviewed it online what those different plans were so I had an idea. The rep said it would be X amount of dollars per month and that was it. It sounded like a good plan to me.

The only thing I don’t like about dealing with any type of extended warranty type plan is that there’s a certain criteria you have to follow. For instance, you have to get the vehicle checked out, keep all the records for it. But there’s still a little leeway there that they could wiggle out of it and not pay you and I’ve heard these disasters in the past. I just got my pamphlet in the mail and I read over a little bit of it. But I haven’t gone through all the legalities of what they’re talking about. The plan could be a little cheaper. But having a bumper-to-bumper type coverage is one of the most important things you can have, especially for a used vehicle.

Original review: April 8, 2020

Initially, I really wanted to do a warranty through my dealership. But because of the pandemic, I've been trying for a month to get that done and couldn't. So, I had to explore other options online. I saw that the reviews for CARCHEX were good so I went off with that. Then, their rep gave a strong sales pitch, starting at the very top, and lucky for him, I was willing to not ask a lot of questions. The information that he gave me was very good then I went with a Titanium package. But I really wasn't offered any other options right away. Then after I had signed on, I wanted to know what was a Titanium pack. I looked online and found that there's a Gold, and there's a this and that. I felt like I should have asked more questions and I'm usually very good about that. But at the time, I was more concerned with monthly payments and CARCHEX was amenable to work with me.

Other than that, the first payment came out but I haven't gotten a contract. So, that's got me a little concerned. But if they're gonna play games, then I'll just cancel and go with somebody else. I also had to ask their rep at the end of my conversation with him if it was okay to cancel this contract at any time and he said I could cancel at any time. But it the salesperson didn't offer that up. I asked him straight out. All in all, it was an okay experience, though I wouldn't say it was great because they sold me the top thing without being upfront about my other options. The Titanium package was over 3,000 and that's pretty high. But the coverage is there, it is excellent, and I feel comfortable about it. The term is great as well. At the same time, I know that I overpaid for warranty and that I didn't receive all the information from CARCHEX. And I probably should have asked for that, so it was on me as a consumer.

CARCHEX response
    Chris,

Thank you for your review! Very glad to hear we could assist in setting you up with coverage for your vehicle. Please reach out at any time should you have any additional questions regarding your plan. Thank you for choosing CARCHEX!

CARCHEX Customer Service

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

Everything seems pretty awesome so far. On November 29, CARCHEX wrote me an email for the order confirmation of the contract and there was a slight error in the engine detail on my truck. So I wrote them back and made that correction. I told them that the engine of my truck is 6.7 liters turbo diesel, and not a 6.4 twin turbo. The rep also wrote back that day and said he would update it. I’m still waiting for them to send me the hard copy of the policy. But I got what I wanted, and it was a decent price for what it was.

Purchasing the policy was pretty easy. The rep was suggesting I buy the Silver Plan, instead of the Platinum or Gold plan. It was $1,000 more. I read through all the coverages and I went over it with them. I had a bunch of questions about and I verified something about the fuel pump. I asked them if it covers the two fuel pumps on the truck, and they said yes. I asked if I could get that in writing and the rep said that our conversation was recorded and that it was verified. I don’t know how long they keep those voice recordings. But it seemed like they were doing their best to try to get me a good plan.

When I read through all the benefits of the higher plan, it was kinda interesting. With the lower-priced plan, it included the injectors in the fuel system, which was part of that repair that I had to have done, whereas the higher dollar plan included pretty much everything else except the fuel injectors themselves. All modern transmissions are controlled electronically. And the higher-priced plan covered all the electronics like the navigation system, the Bluetooth stuff, and the electric switches. It covered more on the transmission. They have a $15,000 payout on it because it covered all the different suspension parts as well.

CARCHEX response
    Dale,

CARCHEX Customer Service

Original review: Nov. 15, 2020

My car is almost four years old or a little bit past and I wanted to insure it in case anything happens. I spoke to different extended warranty companies. I wanted a better deal and not so many hidden clauses. I ended up with Carchex and it was great. Ken explained everything and answered my question. It was so easy. I even repeated some of the questions over and over again. Ken took his time and he reminded me or explained to me over again how things worked.

I called Ken the other day because my boyfriend was purchasing a car from a used dealership and they don't give an extended warranty. The first time I called, I spoke to a receptionist then he transferred me over. He told me Ken wasn't there but he would leave a message and Ken would call me back. He called me back the next day so it was pleasant. Ken gave me a quote and explained to me what was covered. He was very detailed in his explanation and helped me feel comfortable with what he was telling me. I'm very satisfied with the information and how Ken explained everything to me as well as all the details he gave me about the insurance. Having a vehicle protection plan is very valuable because you never know what can happen. I've been bragging about Carchex and I speak very highly of them. I even recommend to others getting an extended warranty and how they should call Carchex and ask.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

An extended coverage gives some reassurance if my car ever goes down. I have a Porsche so I don't wanna pay for any or pay X for that at full price. It was great dealing with Carchex. It seemed sketchy at first because as soon as I put my information in, somebody called and started asking me for my information. But once I got the proof of purchase, I was fine with it. I was fine with their price even though one other place did have it $30 cheaper.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I have a super expensive vehicle and if it breaks, that would be very expensive. I got an extended warranty with Carchex and it was super easy. I called the number on the phone and on the website. The guy that answered was really nice, super awesome, and very helpful. And the rep that helped me get the warranty was knowledgeable and kind. He answered questions and didn't talk over me so he was all right.

Once I got the policy set up, Carchex's website to pay was user-friendly and it allowed me to set up extra options for those going through the process. It wasn't very confusing. Having the extended warranty is priceless at this point. It was $11,000 to fix the car the day after I bought the warranty. The car is actually in the shop now. It broke the day after I called Carchex. There's a waiting period and it's not like I can do anything. But overall, Carchex is wonderful. They are nice, easy to deal with, and painless. Their price was right too.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

Carchex seemed to have better service and experience when I looked them up. My experience signing up was phenomenal. Everything was quick and very easy to understand. It was very easy and it wasn't a long-drawn-out process. Everyone should look at getting a protection plan on their vehicle. If they don't have a warranty through their dealership, Carchex is the second best thing right here.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

Carchex had the best overall coverage for the most affordable price. It was very easy to purchase from them. They helped me out as far as with explaining the coverage. They also didn't try to force the sale, so it was a seamless process. They're very professional and knowledgeable. They explained it to the teeth and I was satisfied with it. When you have a used vehicle, and extended coverage is definitely a valuable thing to have and I definitely recommend Carchex.

CARCHEX Company Information