Accredited Partner

Get Pricing
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.27/5

CARCHEX helps you purchase and maintain your car by offering various vehicle products, including extended auto warranties. Rather than offering its own plans, CARCHEX works with multiple third-party warranty providers. These vehicle service contracts cover repairs due to mechanical failures or malfunctions but not collisions. Plans also come with additional benefits like roadside assistance and towing.

BOTTOM LINE

Consider CARCHEX if you’re looking for an extended auto warranty, especially if you have a high-mileage vehicle. Although its contracts can be confusing, company representatives can help you understand what you're signing.

PROS

• Available in California
  • Partners with charities
  • Accepts high-mileage cars
  • Lower-cost plans available

CONS

• Doesn’t cover exotic vehicles
  • Some contracts aren’t renewable

Top CARCHEX Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX ?

The sign up process was really simple and easy. The associate gave me a lot of information and answered all of our questions. ... I had hard questions and if he didn't know the answer, he went and figured it out to make sure to give me the right answer. Also, getting ahold of him was really easy.

I spoke to a young lady at CARCHEX. ... She was there to help me and she didn't let anything stop her. She was able to lower the price. The plan sounded like a pretty good deal. It covers almost everything. Have an extended for your vehicle is the best thing that you can do nowadays. ...

CARCHEX warranty cost

The average price of a five-year contract with CARCHEX is about $1,500. Expect to pay approximately 2 cents per mile of coverage. However, costs vary based on your vehicle’s mileage, year, make and model. The best way to get a better idea of your cost is to get a quote directly from CARCHEX.

CARCHEX lets you pay for your extended warranty over a maximum of 24 months. No down payment is required during this period. CARCHEX accepts all major credit cards, and it has a 30-day, money-back guarantee in case you decide CARCHEX isn’t right for you.

CARCHEX plans

CARCHEX offers five coverage levels that span 16 different warranty plans from different providers.

Plan nameType of coverageTerm lengthsIdeal for
Titanium CoverageBumper-to-bumper7 – 10 yearsComprehensive coverage
Platinum CoverageStated-component5 – 10 yearsShort-term coverage
Gold CoverageComprehensive5 – 10 yearsVehicles with over 60,000 miles
Silver CoverageEssential5 – 10 yearsBasic coverage
Bronze CoverageMajor systems5 – 6 yearsAffordability

Every CARCHEX warranty is, at a minimum, a powertrain warranty. This means that your vehicle’s transmission, drive axle(s) and engine are covered along with the other components that send power to the wheels.

CARCHEX coverage

CARCHEX’s coverage is available for vehicles with with up to 250,000. This coverage kicks in after a waiting period of 30 days and 1,000 miles, but this is a fairly standard requirement among extended auto warranty providers. Once you’re past the waiting period, CARCHEX covers authorized vehicle repairs made at licensed service facilities. You can use its mobile app or website to find a vehicle repair facility near you.

All of CARCHEX’s plans are transferable, and coverage is available in California, which isn't true of many warranty providers. However, not every warranty is renewable.

Additional benefits from CARCHEX include:

• Towing
  • Vehicle lockout services
  • Rental car coverage
  • Roadside assistance
  • Emergency fuel delivery

You can also opt for emissions coverage, key fob protection and luxury electronics coverage.

A CARCHEX auto warranty won’t cover everything, though. Modified or aftermarket components aren’t covered, including lift kits or trailer hitches. CARCHEX also doesn’t cover regular maintenance items like oil changes or consumable parts like tires, wiper blades and spark plugs. Check your vehicle service contract for details.

CARCHEX FAQ

What does CARCHEX cover?
CARCHEX offers five levels of coverage, with 16 plans available through its various providers. These plans range from bumper-to-bumper to powertrain coverage.
  • The Titanium tier provides bumper-to-bumper coverage.
  • Platinum plans offer CARCHEX’s highest level of stated-component coverage.
  • Gold-tier warranties provide comprehensive coverage, including major vehicle components.
  • Silver programs offer essential coverage for major vehicle systems.
  • Bronze contracts are CARCHEX’s lowest level of coverage, often covering the vehicle’s powertrain.
Is CARCHEX legitimate?
Yes, CARCHEX is a legitimate company that partners with multiple warranty providers and is registered with reputable third-party organizations.
Where is CARCHEX available?
CARCHEX is available in all 50 states. Check the company’s website to make sure there’s an authorized repair facility near you.

Is CARCHEX worth it?

CARCHEX is worth it if you’re considering an extended auto warranty. Its coverage and additional benefits, like roadside assistance and fuel delivery, can provide peace of mind and save you money. Plus, its app makes it easy to find a licensed repair facility.

CARCHEX Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX ?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

I thought it would just be kind of a prepaid maintenance plan. I did a lot of research into it and found that CARCHEX was recommended on a number of different sites, and the fact that they had what they called a bumper-to-bumper. Because we even found with the other warranty that we had up in Canada on our other car that oil fluids weren't covered if you were doing transmission fix. This one paid more for it, but it covered everything. We had a couple of little things that went wrong that ended up being pricey. They fixed my seat, got to a certain position and it would do whatever. I've had three or four repairs done through them now. They let me take it to where I wanted to, and then the dealership then just called them up and they made the payment directly through to the dealer, and that turned out really well for me.

I would go in for my standard service, so normal maintenance and repairs is not covered, so standard oil. Transmission oil was the big one for me because it cost me almost $400 for other things underneath my old policy, because they didn't cover fluids and/or the gaskets. There was a problem with the transmission, they fixed the transmission, but the seals and the oil weren't covered. When I went to the CARCHEX one, I found that they had one that was complete. That was great. But normal wear and tear maintenance, batteries, wire, tires, whatever, that's normal. But if they find something that's significant on that vehicle, I would say, "Well, call CARCHEX because that should be covered underneath my warranty." So, they phone CARCHEX, they get it all, and I might have to leave my vehicle there for a couple of days for them to get that straightened away, but that's just a normal process through this.

It was identified in there that if CARCHEX thinks that the garage is trying to take them, they have inspectors to go out and check on that, or at least phone them up and say, "Hey, send me pictures," and stuff like that that the dealership has to do. They look after themselves as well as me, and make sure that it is something that is really an item that should be covered under warranty and/or should be fixed. And that the value is there.

I just signed in for another four years. The car is one that we hope to have for a long time. We had my daughter's X3 in the city here, and both dealerships, by the time they were done, they had all this work would be about $6,000 or $7,000 and not worth fixing. Took it to a buddy, we ended up getting it down to 3,200 bucks. I know the priceyness of some of these repairs, especially if you got a valve cover gasket that is leaking. To do valve cover gaskets are $1,500 on a BMW. You just shake your head at it. If I could get that covered under this warranty, it's peace of mind more than anything else. And knowing I've got a standard warranty for four more years and a bumper-to-bumper other than normal maintenance, I was happy with that.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

I filled out the quoting information from two different companies. And then, it’s a very generic application so I got calls from five different companies, and I ended up going with CARCHEX. They were the first ones to call me, and Bill was so informative. Any questions I had, he more than gladly answered them. Bill advised me, whenever I get the ID card and if I have any other questions, just call him at his direct extension number. I told him I appreciated his help. The customer service is good. That’s one of the major reasons why I went with CARCHEX. And compared to every other company that I was getting a call from, I felt CARCHEX gave me the better option.

Even though the price was a bit cheaper, it was just the fact of how everything was coming about whenever the car needed service, which was one of my major issues. I was looking for something that I will have to pay some deductible or a certain percentage of, which I didn't mind. If something goes out that is a major issue and it's $3,000, I don't wanna put three grand into it. Other companies were, "Yeah, we'll only cover 50, and then you pay the other 50." I said, “Okay. So, you're telling me even if I'm paying as much as what I'm paying with you guys, I'm still gonna end up coming more out of my pocket whenever the engine blows up or something like that? So, if the engine is three grand, I will have to come up with 1,500, and then you guys cover the 1,500.” They were like, “Yeah. That’s it.” I was like, “I appreciate it, but I'm not going with you.”

Whenever an issue does come up, I'm glad I already have the service covered. Since mine is a bigger car and a newer one, it has more sensors and all this other stuff, and I don't wanna deal with any of that. So, in case something does go wrong with it and I decide to take it to the service, they would probably know the car back and forth, and it's free of mind.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

I usually buy new vehicles because I like to have a warranty on the vehicle. We're now trying to do a Dave Ramsey program and we are trying to pay for things without financing so I was looking into getting a used car. I had seen CARCHEX on the Carfax website so I called and I talked to a gentleman. He was so helpful and explained to me the ins and outs. He was honest about the pros and the cons.

But I did not end up buying the car that I was going to look at and I told the guy that we were still searching. He was so nice and told me that he would check back in on me. He called me back and asked if I had found a car. I still haven't yet. I wanted a convertible bug. It's a 2013 with 49,000 miles on it. The guy called again and by then, I told him we were getting the car that day and if he were to call me in the afternoon, we would talk. I told him my needs and my wants. He was going through it and he said 30,000 miles would come first. I couldn't do that because I put 30,000 miles on my car in a year. That was not going to be a three-year warranty for me. That was gonna be a one-year warranty.

But the guy was so thorough and was one of the best as far as dealing with anybody on the phone. He explained the differences like “I’m gonna put you on this. Your deductible will go down, but you're gonna lose some of your coverage. We’re going with a longer warranty.” In the end, I got the 100,000-mile three-year warranty. My car is covered until 150,000 miles and I couldn't believe it.

I checked with the Better Business Bureau and CARCHEX has an A rating with them. I checked out some of the reviews and what people were saying about them. I had seen that the CARCHEX is rated number one right now as far as car warranties. I felt very confident in my purchase. I also asked the guy if we could get the service cheaper if we were to pay all at once. We saved about $800.

I was not with my husband when I was making these decisions and I told the guy that. He said he would make it easier for me. He said he would put me down where I would only get charged as if I paid the policy in one payment. But they would set it up on six payments at 444, which was fine. Now, I have this nice car with a 100,000-mile warranty on it and it's paid for.

I was very satisfied with the customer service and with what I hope to get as the product. My mechanic told me that car warranties are great but sometimes they would screw you. They would send somebody out and would want the mechanic to tear the motor down completely. They would then say, "Well you didn't change the oil like you were supposed to. This is neglect." The motor's on the floor but the warranty company would not pay for it. I realize that there are things that may come along with the warranty but if I get what I was told for the cost that I was told, I will be extremely satisfied.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

I bought a BMW with high mileage on it. I was trying to figure out who would be the best to go with for coverage, and CARCHEX was the first that popped up. They had an A-plus with the Better Business Bureau as well. It was a little bit rocky at first. I was trying to see what pricing was and things of that nature. The next in pricing or next to somewhere reputable was CarShield. I went back and forth with them. CarShield was offering me a warranty of 1,000 off cheaper, but I had to look at the reviews, the Better Business Bureau rating. I went back to CARCHEX ‘cause they have a price match guarantee. When I explained to them things from my point of view, they worked with me. They didn't match the price, but they knocked $400 off the price of my warranty. They’re a company and they wanna get as much as they want. If customers wanna negotiate services, they'll negotiate so that's one good thing.

The protection specialist was a good guy. I asked a lot of questions like what doesn't the warranty cover. He explained to me everything that wasn't covered, so that way, I could make sure I got the right plan that was appropriate for what I was trying to do. He answered any questions, gave me his number, and sent out information the same day. He was very helpful. The thing that dragged customer service down for me, and it was partially my fault, was I called later in the day. A lot of times, I don't get off work before 5:00 or 6:00 so I called around the time it was five and a half hours before they closed and they bounced me around so much. They hung up on me twice. I’m attributing that to people who were leaving early, and they had a lack of representatives to handle calls, ‘cause the next day when I called back, there wasn't any of that stuff going on.

Having this warranty is very valuable to me. I have a couple of friends that had this car and they’ve told me that when getting a small repair, it gets very costly. A repair could be $1,200 to $1,500 for just a basic one. So, to pay for $2,500 for a warranty that’ll last five years is pretty good. Just knowing that when I’m riding down the road, if anything happens, I can choose the warranty shop of my choice and I don't have to wait till something breaks completely down. If I notice any noise or anything that’s abnormal, I can take it in and CARCHEX will cover it. They're a great company and they’re customer service-oriented. I had a bad experience, but it was quickly rectified. As long as their customer service is good, they'll be around for a little while.

Original review: April 8, 2020

Initially, I really wanted to do a warranty through my dealership. But because of the pandemic, I've been trying for a month to get that done and couldn't. So, I had to explore other options online. I saw that the reviews for CARCHEX were good so I went off with that. Then, their rep gave a strong sales pitch, starting at the very top, and lucky for him, I was willing to not ask a lot of questions. The information that he gave me was very good then I went with a Titanium package. But I really wasn't offered any other options right away. Then after I had signed on, I wanted to know what was a Titanium pack. I looked online and found that there's a Gold, and there's a this and that. I felt like I should have asked more questions and I'm usually very good about that. But at the time, I was more concerned with monthly payments and CARCHEX was amenable to work with me.

Other than that, the first payment came out but I haven't gotten a contract. So, that's got me a little concerned. But if they're gonna play games, then I'll just cancel and go with somebody else. I also had to ask their rep at the end of my conversation with him if it was okay to cancel this contract at any time and he said I could cancel at any time. But it the salesperson didn't offer that up. I asked him straight out. All in all, it was an okay experience, though I wouldn't say it was great because they sold me the top thing without being upfront about my other options. The Titanium package was over 3,000 and that's pretty high. But the coverage is there, it is excellent, and I feel comfortable about it. The term is great as well. At the same time, I know that I overpaid for warranty and that I didn't receive all the information from CARCHEX. And I probably should have asked for that, so it was on me as a consumer.

Chris,

Thank you for your review! Very glad to hear we could assist in setting you up with coverage for your vehicle. Please reach out at any time should you have any additional questions regarding your plan. Thank you for choosing CARCHEX!

CARCHEX Customer Service

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

It's been over a month and I haven't received anything in the mail. I wanna cancel and I want a refund. I don't see a purpose of having it. They said my policy would start after 10 days and I would receive everything in the mail but I never did. They took the money and that was it. I'm highly disappointed. I went from one extended warranty place to another and I thought it was gonna be a better review based on what my representative said. I explained to them my experience with a different place. They said they were guaranteeing me a better experience at Carchex but it's even worse. At least in the other place, I got emails.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

I'm paying a little too high for what I got with CARCHEX. They were like, “Well, we can only do this price right here.” But then when I went to a couple of other warranty companies, they're only charging me $100 for the same plan that CARCHEX had me. The reps addressed most of my concerns. But they couldn't do anything about the price when I thought I’d ask because they said that was just out of his control.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

2015 Honda Civic. I purchased a warranty and have proof that it covers line 14. Luxury components. When sales representative sold me the warranty he told me the radio is covered. Now I needed it replaced through the dealer. It's a original manufacturer touch screen. Carchex sold me the extended warranty and now I find out they're just the broker and assigned my warranty to American CarShield. Called them and told me line 14 doesn't come up in their system and radio is not covered. I emailed them proof. Ken ** 1-866-931-3462 ext ** is the sale rep how sold me the warranty. They can't get ahold of him. Carchex also told me line 14 doesn't come up. So I have the extended warranty in hand and proof. What the point of paying $1,800 if they're not honoring what they sold. I look up website and show that radio is covered. It's a scam they are committing fraud

CARCHEX response

Thank you for your review. We understand the frustration of having a denied claim and will have someone reach out to you to discuss this matter.

In review of the claims notes on file with the contract administrator, we do see they made an error advising you there isn't a number 14 section to your contract. We are addressing this with the administrator to ensure their staff is providing the proper contract information. Your contract does in fact include a number 14. Luxury components section.

With regards to your coverage and claim, our records show you have purchased the Platinum level of MBI coverage offered only in the state of California. The coverage is for 6 Years and 75,000 additional miles.

The Platinum level MBI plan is inclusionary coverage which lists each eligible components under each system group. In your review you reference number 14 which is Luxury Components. This system group lists the following components:

"14. Luxury Components: (Factory Installed Only) Global positioning System (GPS) and on board communication system, television, VCR Player, DVD Player, back-up warning system, perimeter warning system and electronic driver information display and module."

Unfortunately, the LCD screen is not a listed/eligible repair.

If you would like to give CARCHEX a call, our Customer Loyalty Team is available at (877)227-2439 Ext. 6001. Otherwise we will be reaching out to you.

Best,

CARCHEX Customer Service Team

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

My car is relatively new and it had really low mileage, and the warranty was up but because it's to be a daily driver, I wanted to make sure the powertrain was covered. CARCHEX was the highest on the internet. Purchasing the plan was easy. Their rep has excellent follow through. He called me and tried to sell me the policy. I was like, "Okay. Let me think about it." He called back a couple times, and he stayed on top of me. He was very polite but a very aggressive follow-through salesman.

Joseph,

Very glad to hear your Protection Specialist was able to set you up with coverage for your vehicle. Thank you for your review!

CARCHEX Customer Service

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

I looked at three providers and CARCHEX was one of them. The signup process was somewhat easy. I just didn't like the way the agent's characters fell. After he found out I went with another character, he started talking bad about the other two people I was looking at. That was the reason I canceled. CARCHEX should improve on the way they try to sell this service. They can't have someone on the line talking about how good they are, and then talking about how bad someone else is, and they are second to them.

CARCHEX Company Information