4.1/5 (419 ratings)
Get Pricing
Call Now Toll Free

About CARCHEX

CARCHEX helps you purchase and maintain your car by offering various vehicle products, including extended auto warranties. Rather than offering its own plans, CARCHEX works with multiple third-party warranty providers. These vehicle service contracts cover repairs due to mechanical failures or malfunctions but not collisions. Plans also come with additional benefits like roadside assistance and towing.

Pros

• Available in California
    • Partners with charities
    • Accepts high-mileage cars
    • Lower-cost plans available

Cons

• Doesn't cover exotic vehicles
    • Some contracts aren't renewable

Bottom Line

Consider CARCHEX if you’re looking for an extended auto warranty, especially if you have a high-mileage vehicle. Although its contracts can be confusing, company representatives can help you understand what you're signing.

Top CARCHEX Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX ?

Verified

The sign up process was really simple and easy. The associate gave me a lot of information and answered all of our questions. ... I had hard questions and if he didn't know the an...

Verified

I spoke to a young lady at CARCHEX. ... She was there to help me and she didn't let anything stop her. She was able to lower the price. The plan sounded like a pretty good deal. I...

CARCHEX warranty cost

The average price of a five-year contract with CARCHEX is about $1,500. Expect to pay approximately 2 cents per mile of coverage. However, costs vary based on your vehicle’s mileage, year, make and model. The best way to get a better idea of your cost is to get a quote directly from CARCHEX.

CARCHEX lets you pay for your extended warranty over a maximum of 24 months. No down payment is required during this period. CARCHEX accepts all major credit cards, and it has a 30-day, money-back guarantee in case you decide CARCHEX isn’t right for you.

CARCHEX plans

CARCHEX offers five coverage levels that span 16 different warranty plans from different providers.

Plan nameType of coverageTerm lengthsIdeal for
    Titanium CoverageBumper-to-bumper7 – 10 yearsComprehensive coverage
    Platinum CoverageStated-component5 – 10 yearsShort-term coverage
    Gold CoverageComprehensive5 – 10 yearsVehicles with over 60,000 miles
    Silver CoverageEssential5 – 10 yearsBasic coverage
    Bronze CoverageMajor systems5 – 6 yearsAffordability

Every CARCHEX warranty is, at a minimum, a powertrain warranty. This means that your vehicle’s transmission, drive axle(s) and engine are covered along with the other components that send power to the wheels.

CARCHEX coverage

CARCHEX’s coverage is available for vehicles with up to 250,000 miles. This coverage kicks in after a waiting period of 30 days and 1,000 miles, but this is a fairly standard requirement among extended auto warranty providers. Once you’re past the waiting period, CARCHEX covers authorized vehicle repairs made at licensed service facilities. You can use its mobile app or website to find a vehicle repair facility near you.

All of CARCHEX’s plans are transferable, and coverage is available in California, which isn't true of many warranty providers. However, not every warranty is renewable.

Additional benefits from CARCHEX include:

• Towing
    • Vehicle lockout services
    • Rental car coverage
    • Roadside assistance
    • Emergency fuel delivery

You can also opt for emissions coverage, key fob protection and luxury electronics coverage.

A CARCHEX auto warranty won’t cover everything, though. Modified or aftermarket components aren’t covered, including lift kits or trailer hitches. CARCHEX also doesn’t cover regular maintenance items like oil changes or consumable parts like tires, wiper blades and spark plugs. Check your vehicle service contract for details.

CARCHEX FAQ

What does CARCHEX cover?

CARCHEX offers five levels of coverage, with 16 plans available through its various providers. These plans range from bumper-to-bumper to powertrain coverage.

• The Titanium tier provides bumper-to-bumper coverage.
    • Platinum plans offer CARCHEX’s highest level of stated-component coverage.
    • Gold-tier warranties provide comprehensive coverage, including major vehicle components.
    • Silver programs offer essential coverage for major vehicle systems.
    • Bronze contracts are CARCHEX’s lowest level of coverage, often covering the vehicle’s powertrain.
    Is CARCHEX legitimate?

Yes, CARCHEX is a legitimate company that partners with multiple warranty providers and is registered with reputable third-party organizations.

Where is CARCHEX available?

CARCHEX is available in all 50 states. Check the company’s website to make sure there’s an authorized repair facility near you.

Is CARCHEX worth it?

CARCHEX is worth it if you’re considering an extended auto warranty. Its coverage and additional benefits, like roadside assistance and fuel delivery, can provide peace of mind and save you money. Plus, its app makes it easy to find a licensed repair facility.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX ?

Original review: June 30, 2022

So far, my experience with CARCHEX has been exactly what they said it was gonna be. I looked at three different companies and called each one of them. The three big factors I used were price, what they covered, and the patience they had to answer all my questions without repeating themselves and actually answering the question. I signed up with CARCHEX.

I had read a lot about CARCHEX online. They started with asking me stuff about my car first, see what my car was eligible for before they even started going through anything. My car wasn't eligible for some of their plans, so their rep said there are some things they wouldn't be able to offer me. So before they went any further, they went with that first. Then, they went over what it means when it says transmission and suspension and what parts are involved with that, and also what it means if you want to do any kind of rider for anything. I have a turbo. So he was like, “Well, we do have turbo, but it’s a rider.” He told me what the extra was to have that put on there. He explained to me about their cancellation and explained if I never used it, at the end of my term, I would be eligible for partial refund on the unused stuff. He went over how to file a claim and told me what the cost would be monthly.

Ann,

Thank you for leaving your review with us! We are happy to have you as a CARCHEX customer, and glad we could assist.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 21, 2022

I bought a Chevrolet Tahoe and I got it straight from the dealership. They work with just one warranty, and the one they sell is $2,400 for 24,000 miles. There was no other option, and I always knew that I was getting a bad deal with the warranty I had because it was the one that the dealership pushes automatically to go through to customers.

Carchex was really helpful. I stayed on the phone half an hour with them, getting over everything, but it was good. At the beginning, I was getting a two-year warranty and it was 24 payments, but the guy I talked to made a mistake. A manager called me back and said, "Oh, so we cannot divide the 24 months of warranty to 36. It's going to be 24. But I'm gonna make you a good deal." He offered me a third year so I can divide it in 36 payments. Instead of 3,600, it was 4,000 and I ended up taking the 4,000 one that he offered me. It was a lot more than I was getting and it wasn't that much money.

The warranty the Chevrolet dealership would have offered me would have been 40,000 miles, three years. Carchex gave me 50,000 miles, three years. I got much more in miles with Carchex, and everything's been great as far as the deal and the payment. I already paid the first month. Also, when I bought my warranty, they offered to send me a $50 gift card in the mail if I told a friend and he bought a warranty for his car.

Gianfranco,

Thank you for your review! Very glad to hear we could assist in setting you up with coverage for your vehicle. Please reach out at any time should you have any additional questions regarding your plan. Thank you for choosing CARCHEX!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

I've been with Carchex ever since my factory warranty wore out. So, it should be about 10 years that I've been with them. I'm very happy and satisfied with them. I just renewed my warranty with them. I went from Hyundai and they were not doing their job and I was concerned. So, I started to go to another mechanic. I had check to make sure first that he was qualified with CARCHEX also and he was. He's very happy with them too. Sometimes, it's very hard to get ahold of Carchex because everybody's calling them but when I get ahold of them, they're very knowledgeable. The last time I called them, I didn't even know what I was calling about. The mechanic told me what I needed and told me to give them a call.

I called Carchex and told them what the problem was and the guy explained what the problem was and exactly the detail what they wanted the mechanic to do. He said what the mechanic was doing and what they wanna pay him for it. I was gonna have to pay the $100 on it but everything else, they were gonna pay to him. Carchex explained the detail to the mechanic that works with my car and paid him very fast also. He said that he sent them a bill in the morning and they sent a check in the afternoon. One of the things that I was impressed with was that when I called Carchex up, they asked me the right questions, and I told them what I think. They figured out how much it was going to be and the first thing they did was tell me if they could cover it or not.

Renaldo,

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

Carchex can make it a bit easier to get quotes without having to talk to a person. When you go to their website, it tells you to put in your information for an instant quote, and that's a lie. It just takes your information and then sales guys start calling you. If it says I can buy online and I can get a quote online, how do they know I'm not sitting at work and I don't want someone calling me at that moment? Maybe I'm in a meeting and I'm just playing on the internet and I don't want them to know it. Maybe I'm an educated person who can read the benefits and I just want to buy it without having to go through that call where they read to me what I already know.

What the website really is saying is get a phone call right now. Carchex needs to be clear about that in their marketing. The first time I did it, they called me and I told them I wasn't interested. Three weeks went by and I thought, “Man, my warranty’s expiring so I’m gonna have to suck it up.” Apart from that, the reps were great and the benefits of the plan are very similar with SilverRock. However, SilverRock was 50% less expensive and I had only a $50 deductible. I saved a lot more money with it, but sadly, it expired.

Also, with the initial stuff I got online from Carchex, I had a 30-day and 500-mile waiting period from the day that I got the warranty. They sent me the book in the mail and it said 30 days and 1,000 miles. They tried to change it up on me, and it's a small difference normally, but during COVID, that's a big difference. I had to call them and they fixed it, which is why I stayed with them. I didn’t like that very much though, because the average consumer is not going to read that big book and realize that it said something different than what they were told and what their initial email said.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

I have a 2015 Subaru Forester. It's a very good car and I only have 72,000 miles on it. My warranty on my car was either 100,000 miles or seven years. I maxed out on the seven years. I also bought the extended warranty that covered everything. That is exactly what I wanted and the gentleman that I spoke with was able to give me the similar package, good through 120,000 miles for the next three years. I was happy with how much it was per month.

Having a protection plan is very valuable. I just had to have my entire front axle replaced, for the CV. The way that the Subarus do it, when you have a bad CV boot in the front, it's connected in with the axle. They replaced the whole thing. My extended warranty that I had covered it, so all I had to do was pay $100. It was going to be almost $900 to have it done. When things are that expensive, you need a warranty to make sure you're going to be covered. I'm 75 years old and I don't want to have to come up with 1,000 or 2,000, or if the transmission would go, up to $5,000.

I did some research before I chose Carchex. It's not the most expensive or the top of the line. It's number three of the top five. I checked out the other two, and they were much too high for the same product, so I decided to go with Carchex. I had a very good experience with them and although I haven't had to use it yet, I'm very happy with the program that I got.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

I took my truck to a local repair shop to have the right side exhaust manifold R/R as it was making a noise. The mechanic told me that the the manifold have a crack in it like it had rusted from the inside out, and it had warped a little. He was told that it would NOT be covered totally because of overheating. The contract that I have with Carchex states that the manifold is covered, but in the exceptions clause (not covered if due to excessive heat).

Since it was rusted from the inside out and had a crack in it I believe it should have been fully covered and it was not due to ANY excessive heating that is was due to time and materials and getting hot and cold (not excessive Heat) every time it was driven. I tried customer service. They did not understand, I believe they trained to project a worse case when talking to the customer.

I tried to contact one of the VPs of the company, I called at least 10 times and spend 2.5 hours on hold to no avail, he would not call me back and I was told he was too busy and like I am not but good customer service is take the few minutes to try to make the company happy. I now am thinking I made the wrong choice in extended warranty companies, and am thinking of cancelling what is left of the warranty. I am checking into other companies.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

They were honest. They told me that there would be a waiting period before we could make a claim, where a couple of others did not disclose that particular piece of information. I'll probably get one on my car when the factory warranty runs out on it.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

I was Carshield. I wasn’t happy at all. I left about 3 or 4 month ago. I did try other company. They not cover what I am driving now till looking for yesterday I found it. Just join. New member. Just start yesterday.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

The representative that helped me was knowledgeable and courteous. I have not seen the paperwork yet but I am hopeful everything will be good giving me peace of mind. My daughter was glad that we have a warranty on our car now. We shall see how everything works out once we get the paperwork in the mail.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

The man was very knowledgeable when I signed with Carchex. It was great. I hadn't used it and don't have plan on using it. But he gave me everything I needed on it. People might wanna check on different types of coverage other than what I got but I would recommend Carchex.

Judy,