Accredited Partner

Get Pricing
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.21/5

We're passionate about advocating to help consumers throughout the entire process of purchasing and maintaining a car. CARCHEX Vehicle Protection Specialists are committed to providing consumers with peace of mind by listening to the specific needs of each customer to find the highest level of coverage at the lowest possible price.

BOTTOM LINE

CARCHEX is an affordable extended auto warranty option, in addition to being a great choice for high-mileage cars. Although CARCHEX's contracts can be difficult to comprehend, their representatives can help you understand what you're getting into.

PROS

• Accepts high-mileage cars
  • Partners with charitable organizations
  • Affordable plans available
  • Available in California

CONS

• Some contracts are non-renewable
  • Exotic vehicles not covered

Top CARCHEX Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX ?

I have had CARCHEX in the past and was very satisfied with their service. I have returned and am sure I can expect the same high quality service as before. I shopped around and the price is more than fair. I would recommend this extended warranty to anyone.

These people are great, military friendly, fast and courteous. They treat you look like family and not just another customer. I was expecting to wait on hold for extended period of time but they answered right away. I would recommend this company to anyone looking for an extended warranty.

CARCHEX cost

The average price for a five-year contract is about $1,500, making CARCHEX a highly affordable option. You can expect to pay approximately 2 cents per mile of coverage. CARCHEX prices are some of the lowest rates around. Costs do vary, though, based on your vehicle’s mileage, year, make and model. The mileage coverage can range from 36,000 miles to 125,000. The best way to get an idea of the cost is to get a quote directly from CARCHEX.

CARCHEX allows a maximum payment schedule of 24 months. This allows customers a long time to pay off their extended auto warranty. No down payment is required during this period. CARCHEX accepts all major credit cards and also has a 30-day money back guarantee in the case that you decide CARCHEX isn’t right for you. You won’t be charged a penny.

CARCHEX plans

CARCHEX offers five coverage options. These options have further plans to choose from, making sixteen choices in all. Every CARCHEX warranty is, at a minimum, a powertrain warranty. This means that the transmission, drive axles, engine and the rest of the vehicle’s powertrain are covered.

Plan nameType of coverageTerm lengthsBest for
Titanium CoverageBumper-to-bumper7–10 yearsComprehensive coverage
Platinum CoverageStated-component5–10 yearsShort-term coverage
Gold CoverageComprehensive5–10 yearsVehicles over 60,000 miles
Silver CoverageEssential6–7 yearsBasic coverage
Bronze CoverageMajor systems5–6 yearsAffordability

CARCHEX coverage

Customers must wait 30 days and 1,000 miles before the extended auto warranty coverage from CARCHEX kicks in. This is a standard requirement among extended auto warranty providers. Not every CARCHEX extended warranty is renewable. Make sure to inquire about this beforehand when speaking with a representative. CARCHEX limits coverage to cars under 150,000 miles.

Additional benefits from CARCHEX include towing, lockout services, flat tire changes, rental car coverage, roadside assistance and emergency fuel delivery for when you’ve run out of gas. You can also use the CARCHEX mobile app to help you find a certified vehicle repair facility nearby. This is especially important because all repairs must be performed by ASE-certified mechanics. Optional coverage includes emissions coverage, key fob protection and luxury electronics coverage.

A CARCHEX auto warranty can’t cover everything; for example, modified vehicles aren’t covered. This includes anything that wasn’t originally installed, like oversized tires, lift kits or a trailer hitch. It also won’t cover regular maintenance items like oil changes, new tires, wiper blades, spark plugs and some other basic car repairs.

Another big pro of CARCHEX is that coverage is available in California. Due to certain regulations, many extended auto warranties do not offer coverage there. CARCHEX is an exception.

Is CARCHEX worth it?

CARCHEX is worth it to those considering an extended auto warranty. The cost of CARCHEX is very low. In fact, it might be the cheapest you will find. In addition to their regular coverage, CARCHEX’s additional benefits like roadside service and fuel delivery can provide major peace of mind while you’re traveling. Plus, their app can help you find a compliant repair service location, so you know you’re in good hands. If you’re considering purchasing an extended auto warranty for your vehicle, make sure to consider CARCHEX.

CARCHEX Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX ?

Original review: June 5, 2020

I researched the internet on different places and sent messages out here in their email. CARCHEX was the third person to contact me that didn’t seem like they were playing any games at the time. It seemed like they really want to get something going. Everybody else were leaving messages and calling me at work. CARCHEX was the only ones that worked with me on that.

When they called, I was listening what they said and they said something different from what I’ve already researched. The rep told me a little bit about the program and what’s going on with it. What he said was right from what he told me about and from my past experiences dealing with matters like this. They got a plan. He took my information and then he came back with an email the next day saying, “Hey. We’ve got this plan. Have you reviewed it?” I haven’t even had a chance to review it yet. But I reviewed it online what those different plans were so I had an idea. The rep said it would be X amount of dollars per month and that was it. It sounded like a good plan to me.

The only thing I don’t like about dealing with any type of extended warranty type plan is that there’s a certain criteria you have to follow. For instance, you have to get the vehicle checked out, keep all the records for it. But there’s still a little leeway there that they could wiggle out of it and not pay you and I’ve heard these disasters in the past. I just got my pamphlet in the mail and I read over a little bit of it. But I haven’t gone through all the legalities of what they’re talking about. The plan could be a little cheaper. But having a bumper-to-bumper type coverage is one of the most important things you can have, especially for a used vehicle.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: April 8, 2020

Initially, I really wanted to do a warranty through my dealership. But because of the pandemic, I've been trying for a month to get that done and couldn't. So, I had to explore other options online. I saw that the reviews for CARCHEX were good so I went off with that. Then, their rep gave a strong sales pitch, starting at the very top, and lucky for him, I was willing to not ask a lot of questions. The information that he gave me was very good then I went with a Titanium package. But I really wasn't offered any other options right away. Then after I had signed on, I wanted to know what was a Titanium pack. I looked online and found that there's a Gold, and there's a this and that. I felt like I should have asked more questions and I'm usually very good about that. But at the time, I was more concerned with monthly payments and CARCHEX was amenable to work with me.

Other than that, the first payment came out but I haven't gotten a contract. So, that's got me a little concerned. But if they're gonna play games, then I'll just cancel and go with somebody else. I also had to ask their rep at the end of my conversation with him if it was okay to cancel this contract at any time and he said I could cancel at any time. But it the salesperson didn't offer that up. I asked him straight out. All in all, it was an okay experience, though I wouldn't say it was great because they sold me the top thing without being upfront about my other options. The Titanium package was over 3,000 and that's pretty high. But the coverage is there, it is excellent, and I feel comfortable about it. The term is great as well. At the same time, I know that I overpaid for warranty and that I didn't receive all the information from CARCHEX. And I probably should have asked for that, so it was on me as a consumer.

Chris,

Thank you for your review! Very glad to hear we could assist in setting you up with coverage for your vehicle. Please reach out at any time should you have any additional questions regarding your plan. Thank you for choosing CARCHEX!

CARCHEX Customer Service

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

Everything seems pretty awesome so far. On November 29, CARCHEX wrote me an email for the order confirmation of the contract and there was a slight error in the engine detail on my truck. So I wrote them back and made that correction. I told them that the engine of my truck is 6.7 liters turbo diesel, and not a 6.4 twin turbo. The rep also wrote back that day and said he would update it. I’m still waiting for them to send me the hard copy of the policy. But I got what I wanted, and it was a decent price for what it was.

Purchasing the policy was pretty easy. The rep was suggesting I buy the Silver Plan, instead of the Platinum or Gold plan. It was $1,000 more. I read through all the coverages and I went over it with them. I had a bunch of questions about and I verified something about the fuel pump. I asked them if it covers the two fuel pumps on the truck, and they said yes. I asked if I could get that in writing and the rep said that our conversation was recorded and that it was verified. I don’t know how long they keep those voice recordings. But it seemed like they were doing their best to try to get me a good plan.

When I read through all the benefits of the higher plan, it was kinda interesting. With the lower-priced plan, it included the injectors in the fuel system, which was part of that repair that I had to have done, whereas the higher dollar plan included pretty much everything else except the fuel injectors themselves. All modern transmissions are controlled electronically. And the higher-priced plan covered all the electronics like the navigation system, the Bluetooth stuff, and the electric switches. It covered more on the transmission. They have a $15,000 payout on it because it covered all the different suspension parts as well.

Dale,

CARCHEX Customer Service

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

My car had been called a lemon by the dealership and it had things go wrong with it that should never have gone wrong this early in the game. For instance, the computer of the vehicle died and it was 50 to 100 miles before the warranty expired so it was covered. But the brain of your car should not be dead within three years or 60,000 miles. Also, my high-pressure fuel pump went out and they said they have never seen that in a Sedona. They also said they didn't know why mine went out.

When I talked to the dealership, they said they'd be happy to get me an extended warranty and that it was gonna cost $4,000. I just about choked. Then over the summer, from between May when I first contacted them saying I wanted the extended warranty and they've given me a quote in April, they switched whoever it was who handled their long term warranties and it doubled the cost of their warranties. That doesn't help the consumer and now, I had to handle it. So, I called Kia and they told me to look up extended warranty car coverages online through Prudential and other things. Then I Googled best extended car warranties and CARCHEX was listed on two websites that seemed reasonable. I went to BBB and I checked out some of the complaints about them. I hesitated a little longer because of what I read, but I decided that I was gonna go for it anyway.

When I purchased the warranty, their customer service was good but I did not like their manager. Despite that, the guy I talked to seemed really nice. I got the feeling that he'd give me this price now but if I'd call back later, it'd be higher. But I already contacted them with the intention of purchasing it, so they didn't have to sell me on it. What they had to do was make it cost-effective with a reasonable payment plan for me to be able to afford it. Still, the rep seemed to bend over backwards to get me a deal that would work for me and I liked him.

Sarah,

Thank you for your review! Very glad we could assist in setting you up with coverage for your KIA Sedona. Please don't hesitate to reach out should you have any additional questions regarding your plan!

CARCHEX Customer Service

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

I had extended coverage with CarShield and I was not pleased with their coverage. When the salesman called me, he told me that my car would be covered from bumper to bumper, except for maintenance side of it like tires, brake pads, battery, radiator, and lights. When I had been with them a couple of months, I asked them to send me a policy. And I found that they had about three pages of exclusions that they didn't tell me about. So I felt that they had not been upfront with me and I didn't want to do business with them. They didn't cover seals, hoses, and anything on the emission system. There were a lot of things that they didn't cover that were mechanical terms that I did not understand. I decided that I wanted to go with a company that I could understand. So, I did some research and I called about six different extended warranties.

I spoke with CARCHEX and asked them specifically about the things that were not covered in the other extended warranties, and they were covered by CARCHEX, so I went with them. Also, the sales representatives were nice, efficient, and patient with me. They called me back. They checked with me too. They were good follow-up people. They were very polite and they seemed like they knew what they were talking about. I told them my experience from CarShield and they assured me that that would not be the case with this company. The representative went above and beyond. He gave me his name and personal extension number. He said if I have any problem, I could call him directly so I don’t have to call the company. I actually have a person that I can call and talk to. So, I really appreciated that.

However, I would like to receive a policy so that I could look over it for my scrutiny. I have paid the first payment, and I have it set up to come out every month, but I don’t have a policy. I understand that there are some exclusions, but I would like to know exactly what they are. But this company has less exclusions than most. At this particular point, I’m very satisfied and I would definitely recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I cancelled my Carchex warranty. I thought I didn't have a warranty and I needed a warranty for the vehicle that I had. I looked them up online and the ratings were good, so I decided to go with them. The process was good as well, but I didn't know the Pilot I bought last month had a warranty and I'm good for a year. I only had liability though. My Ford then got totaled and the guy didn't have insurance and ran way. I was out of luck.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

I bought my truck secondhand from a dealership and when I bought it, the factory warranty was already out on it. I purchased a Carchex extended warranty. I had some issues with the truck and Carchex took care of it. Then, I started to have more issues with the truck and I bought one of those little code readers. When I hooked that up and got it online, it recommended Carchex for an extended warranty so I got them the second time. The dealership always handled contacting Carchex and taking care of everything for me and they had no trouble. Everything went right through and happened like it was supposed to.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

I've had a good experience with an extended warranty in the past so I looked into getting one for my current car. Also, my car has high mileage and we're looking at keeping it for a while. The Carchex rep provided some good information and he was helpful. They've done pretty good so far.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

I'm paying for my vehicle so I don't wanna have to also have to pay for expensive repairs. I looked into extended warranty companies and went with Carchex because they were more transparent. The rep was very detail-oriented and patient. It was a great experience.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

When you buy your car straight out, there's no one out here that's gonna give you extra insurance for your vehicle warranty over 100,000 miles. I should have done some research. The way that the sales rep sold me on Carchex definitely sold me. He represented the company good. He explained the coverage but he told me that my first payment wasn’t coming out until the 27th of September. But they took $85 from me the day that I got the service on the 27th, and then they got me again for $166 and some change on the 2nd of September. I've been trying to call for somebody to call me back and they have yet to do that. They made my account overdrawn on my other bills. I was disappointed.

Once you get insurance through them, there shouldn't be any time frame on what to do with your vehicle if you're paying the money. They want you to have 1,000 miles within the first 30 days if something goes wrong. And then, if nothing don’t go wrong with your car within the first 30 days, you have to wait till 90 days to put in a complaint. Even though I don't have no complaint about my Benz that I had just bought, but still, anything could happen. But it's okay because if anything goes wrong right now, I'm good. I’m almost in New York City already.

CARCHEX Company Information