Accredited Partner

Call Now Toll Free
Get Pricing
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.31/5

We're passionate about advocating to help consumers throughout the entire process of purchasing and maintaining a car. CARCHEX Vehicle Protection Specialists are committed to providing consumers with peace of mind by listening to the specific needs of each customer to find the highest level of coverage at the lowest possible price.

BOTTOM LINE

CARCHEX is an affordable extended auto warranty option, in addition to being a great choice for high-mileage cars. Although CARCHEX's contracts can be difficult to comprehend, their representatives can help you understand what you're getting into.

PROS

• Accepts high-mileage cars
  • Partners with charitable organizations
  • Affordable plans available
  • Available in California

CONS

• Some contracts are non-renewable
  • Exotic vehicles not covered

Top CARCHEX Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX ?

I have had CARCHEX in the past and was very satisfied with their service. I have returned and am sure I can expect the same high quality service as before. I shopped around and the price is more than fair. I would recommend this extended warranty to anyone.

These people are great, military friendly, fast and courteous. They treat you look like family and not just another customer. I was expecting to wait on hold for extended period of time but they answered right away. I would recommend this company to anyone looking for an extended warranty.

CARCHEX Call Now Toll Free (866) 254-0172 Get Pricing
Call Now Toll Free

CARCHEX cost

The average price for a five-year contract is about $1,500, making CARCHEX a highly affordable option. You can expect to pay approximately 2 cents per mile of coverage. CARCHEX prices are some of the lowest rates around. Costs do vary, though, based on your vehicle’s mileage, year, make and model. The mileage coverage can range from 36,000 miles to 125,000. The best way to get an idea of the cost is to get a quote directly from CARCHEX.

CARCHEX allows a maximum payment schedule of 24 months. This allows customers a long time to pay off their extended auto warranty. No down payment is required during this period. CARCHEX accepts all major credit cards and also has a 30-day money back guarantee in the case that you decide CARCHEX isn’t right for you. You won’t be charged a penny.

CARCHEX plans

CARCHEX offers five coverage options. These options have further plans to choose from, making sixteen choices in all. Every CARCHEX warranty is, at a minimum, a powertrain warranty. This means that the transmission, drive axles, engine and the rest of the vehicle’s powertrain are covered.

Plan nameType of coverageTerm lengthsBest for
Titanium CoverageBumper-to-bumper7–10 yearsComprehensive coverage
Platinum CoverageStated-component5–10 yearsShort-term coverage
Gold CoverageComprehensive5–10 yearsVehicles over 60,000 miles
Silver CoverageEssential6–7 yearsBasic coverage
Bronze CoverageMajor systems5–6 yearsAffordability

CARCHEX coverage

Customers must wait 30 days and 1,000 miles before the extended auto warranty coverage from CARCHEX kicks in. This is a standard requirement among extended auto warranty providers. Not every CARCHEX extended warranty is renewable. Make sure to inquire about this beforehand when speaking with a representative. CARCHEX limits coverage to cars under 150,000 miles.

Additional benefits from CARCHEX include towing, lockout services, flat tire changes, rental car coverage, roadside assistance and emergency fuel delivery for when you’ve run out of gas. You can also use the CARCHEX mobile app to help you find a certified vehicle repair facility nearby. This is especially important because all repairs must be performed by ASE-certified mechanics. Optional coverage includes emissions coverage, key fob protection and luxury electronics coverage.

A CARCHEX auto warranty can’t cover everything; for example, modified vehicles aren’t covered. This includes anything that wasn’t originally installed, like oversized tires, lift kits or a trailer hitch. It also won’t cover regular maintenance items like oil changes, new tires, wiper blades, spark plugs and some other basic car repairs.

Another big pro of CARCHEX is that coverage is available in California. Due to certain regulations, many extended auto warranties do not offer coverage there. CARCHEX is an exception.

Is CARCHEX worth it?

CARCHEX is worth it to those considering an extended auto warranty. The cost of CARCHEX is very low. In fact, it might be the cheapest you will find. In addition to their regular coverage, CARCHEX’s additional benefits like roadside service and fuel delivery can provide major peace of mind while you’re traveling. Plus, their app can help you find a compliant repair service location, so you know you’re in good hands. If you’re considering purchasing an extended auto warranty for your vehicle, make sure to consider CARCHEX.

CARCHEX Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX ?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

I bought a BMW with high mileage on it. I was trying to figure out who would be the best to go with for coverage, and CARCHEX was the first that popped up. They had an A-plus with the Better Business Bureau as well. It was a little bit rocky at first. I was trying to see what pricing was and things of that nature. The next in pricing or next to somewhere reputable was CarShield. I went back and forth with them. CarShield was offering me a warranty of 1,000 off cheaper, but I had to look at the reviews, the Better Business Bureau rating. I went back to CARCHEX ‘cause they have a price match guarantee. When I explained to them things from my point of view, they worked with me. They didn't match the price, but they knocked $400 off the price of my warranty. They’re a company and they wanna get as much as they want. If customers wanna negotiate services, they'll negotiate so that's one good thing.

The protection specialist was a good guy. I asked a lot of questions like what doesn't the warranty cover. He explained to me everything that wasn't covered, so that way, I could make sure I got the right plan that was appropriate for what I was trying to do. He answered any questions, gave me his number, and sent out information the same day. He was very helpful. The thing that dragged customer service down for me, and it was partially my fault, was I called later in the day. A lot of times, I don't get off work before 5:00 or 6:00 so I called around the time it was five and a half hours before they closed and they bounced me around so much. They hung up on me twice. I’m attributing that to people who were leaving early, and they had a lack of representatives to handle calls, ‘cause the next day when I called back, there wasn't any of that stuff going on.

Having this warranty is very valuable to me. I have a couple of friends that had this car and they’ve told me that when getting a small repair, it gets very costly. A repair could be $1,200 to $1,500 for just a basic one. So, to pay for $2,500 for a warranty that’ll last five years is pretty good. Just knowing that when I’m riding down the road, if anything happens, I can choose the warranty shop of my choice and I don't have to wait till something breaks completely down. If I notice any noise or anything that’s abnormal, I can take it in and CARCHEX will cover it. They're a great company and they’re customer service-oriented. I had a bad experience, but it was quickly rectified. As long as their customer service is good, they'll be around for a little while.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 8, 2020

Initially, I really wanted to do a warranty through my dealership. But because of the pandemic, I've been trying for a month to get that done and couldn't. So, I had to explore other options online. I saw that the reviews for CARCHEX were good so I went off with that. Then, their rep gave a strong sales pitch, starting at the very top, and lucky for him, I was willing to not ask a lot of questions. The information that he gave me was very good then I went with a Titanium package. But I really wasn't offered any other options right away. Then after I had signed on, I wanted to know what was a Titanium pack. I looked online and found that there's a Gold, and there's a this and that. I felt like I should have asked more questions and I'm usually very good about that. But at the time, I was more concerned with monthly payments and CARCHEX was amenable to work with me.

Other than that, the first payment came out but I haven't gotten a contract. So, that's got me a little concerned. But if they're gonna play games, then I'll just cancel and go with somebody else. I also had to ask their rep at the end of my conversation with him if it was okay to cancel this contract at any time and he said I could cancel at any time. But it the salesperson didn't offer that up. I asked him straight out. All in all, it was an okay experience, though I wouldn't say it was great because they sold me the top thing without being upfront about my other options. The Titanium package was over 3,000 and that's pretty high. But the coverage is there, it is excellent, and I feel comfortable about it. The term is great as well. At the same time, I know that I overpaid for warranty and that I didn't receive all the information from CARCHEX. And I probably should have asked for that, so it was on me as a consumer.

Chris,

Thank you for your review! Very glad to hear we could assist in setting you up with coverage for your vehicle. Please reach out at any time should you have any additional questions regarding your plan. Thank you for choosing CARCHEX!

CARCHEX Customer Service

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

Everything seems pretty awesome so far. On November 29, CARCHEX wrote me an email for the order confirmation of the contract and there was a slight error in the engine detail on my truck. So I wrote them back and made that correction. I told them that the engine of my truck is 6.7 liters turbo diesel, and not a 6.4 twin turbo. The rep also wrote back that day and said he would update it. I’m still waiting for them to send me the hard copy of the policy. But I got what I wanted, and it was a decent price for what it was.

Purchasing the policy was pretty easy. The rep was suggesting I buy the Silver Plan, instead of the Platinum or Gold plan. It was $1,000 more. I read through all the coverages and I went over it with them. I had a bunch of questions about and I verified something about the fuel pump. I asked them if it covers the two fuel pumps on the truck, and they said yes. I asked if I could get that in writing and the rep said that our conversation was recorded and that it was verified. I don’t know how long they keep those voice recordings. But it seemed like they were doing their best to try to get me a good plan.

When I read through all the benefits of the higher plan, it was kinda interesting. With the lower-priced plan, it included the injectors in the fuel system, which was part of that repair that I had to have done, whereas the higher dollar plan included pretty much everything else except the fuel injectors themselves. All modern transmissions are controlled electronically. And the higher-priced plan covered all the electronics like the navigation system, the Bluetooth stuff, and the electric switches. It covered more on the transmission. They have a $15,000 payout on it because it covered all the different suspension parts as well.

Dale,

CARCHEX Customer Service

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

My car had been called a lemon by the dealership and it had things go wrong with it that should never have gone wrong this early in the game. For instance, the computer of the vehicle died and it was 50 to 100 miles before the warranty expired so it was covered. But the brain of your car should not be dead within three years or 60,000 miles. Also, my high-pressure fuel pump went out and they said they have never seen that in a Sedona. They also said they didn't know why mine went out.

When I talked to the dealership, they said they'd be happy to get me an extended warranty and that it was gonna cost $4,000. I just about choked. Then over the summer, from between May when I first contacted them saying I wanted the extended warranty and they've given me a quote in April, they switched whoever it was who handled their long term warranties and it doubled the cost of their warranties. That doesn't help the consumer and now, I had to handle it. So, I called Kia and they told me to look up extended warranty car coverages online through Prudential and other things. Then I Googled best extended car warranties and CARCHEX was listed on two websites that seemed reasonable. I went to BBB and I checked out some of the complaints about them. I hesitated a little longer because of what I read, but I decided that I was gonna go for it anyway.

When I purchased the warranty, their customer service was good but I did not like their manager. Despite that, the guy I talked to seemed really nice. I got the feeling that he'd give me this price now but if I'd call back later, it'd be higher. But I already contacted them with the intention of purchasing it, so they didn't have to sell me on it. What they had to do was make it cost-effective with a reasonable payment plan for me to be able to afford it. Still, the rep seemed to bend over backwards to get me a deal that would work for me and I liked him.

Sarah,

Thank you for your review! Very glad we could assist in setting you up with coverage for your KIA Sedona. Please don't hesitate to reach out should you have any additional questions regarding your plan!

CARCHEX Customer Service

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

I had extended coverage with CarShield and I was not pleased with their coverage. When the salesman called me, he told me that my car would be covered from bumper to bumper, except for maintenance side of it like tires, brake pads, battery, radiator, and lights. When I had been with them a couple of months, I asked them to send me a policy. And I found that they had about three pages of exclusions that they didn't tell me about. So I felt that they had not been upfront with me and I didn't want to do business with them. They didn't cover seals, hoses, and anything on the emission system. There were a lot of things that they didn't cover that were mechanical terms that I did not understand. I decided that I wanted to go with a company that I could understand. So, I did some research and I called about six different extended warranties.

I spoke with CARCHEX and asked them specifically about the things that were not covered in the other extended warranties, and they were covered by CARCHEX, so I went with them. Also, the sales representatives were nice, efficient, and patient with me. They called me back. They checked with me too. They were good follow-up people. They were very polite and they seemed like they knew what they were talking about. I told them my experience from CarShield and they assured me that that would not be the case with this company. The representative went above and beyond. He gave me his name and personal extension number. He said if I have any problem, I could call him directly so I don’t have to call the company. I actually have a person that I can call and talk to. So, I really appreciated that.

However, I would like to receive a policy so that I could look over it for my scrutiny. I have paid the first payment, and I have it set up to come out every month, but I don’t have a policy. I understand that there are some exclusions, but I would like to know exactly what they are. But this company has less exclusions than most. At this particular point, I’m very satisfied and I would definitely recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

DO NOT BUY, THEY SAY IT COVERS COVERS EVERYTING UNTIL THEY GET THEIR MONEY, THEN IT COVERS NOTHING ALL OF A SUDDEN!!! I can go on and on all day about how preposterous this company and their product is, and even worse their customer service, but I'm tired from making BBB complaints (they have 60 saying the same thing in the last 10 months, FYI) and filing complaints with the attorneys general. Save yourself the aggravation and monetary losses, they will rip you off, their product is TERRIBLE! You're better off just paying for repairs. I've paid them $4,333 in payments and they won't cover an $800 electrical repair. Go look on their website how often electrical coverage is mentioned.... Unreal.

CARCHEX response

Thank you for your review. We understand the frustration of having a denied claim and will address your concerns.

According to our records, a silver level 4 Year / 48,000 mile Centennial Plan was purchased on 8/31/2017 for your 2006 Cadillac DTS for a total cost of $3382.00. The optional stand alone seals and gaskets surcharge was included and you were offered Extended Financing for 30 months. CARCHEX paid the down payment of $112.74 to get you started since you had a previous plan on another vehicle.

At the time of purchase, you were also offered our Titanium level of exclusionary coverage for a total cost of $5292.00. This plan is our highest level of coverage and would have covered this repair however this plan was not purchased.

On the purchased coverage, a claim was filed in March of 2020. This claim was approved and paid to the repair shop a total of $730.92 after deductible for your Alternator repair.

Recently, your repair shop called your contract administrator for an ignition coil repair and were advised this is not a listed component on your plan.

The silver level Centennial plan lists the following electrical components as eligible for repair:

"Alternator, voltage regulator, starter motor, starter solenoid, ignition switch, front and rear wiper motors and switches, washer pump and switch, headlamp switch, turn signal switch, rear defroster switch, blower speed switch, power window motors, regulators and switches,

and the power door lock actuators and switches."

To date, you have not spoken with CARCHEX about this repair. We will ask one of our Customer Service representatives to reach out to you to discuss this matter. If you would like to call us to discuss the matter, please give us a call at (877)227-2439 Ext. 6001.

Best,

CARCHEX Customer Service Team

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

I just purchased a new vehicle and I was searching online for some type of warranty. I looked into three other companies and the things that were covered were about the same and it just totaled down to the price so I ran with CARCHEX. It was straightforward and the representative was great.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

Every time I purchase a vehicle, I've always purchased an extended warranty. It's very valuable, especially if you're not a certified mechanic. I went with Carchex previously and I had a good experience, so I wanted to go back with them. Bill helped facilitate the process pretty quick. It was painless, and it's a good deal.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

Customer service seemed quick and painless. Never made a claim as I was only with them a week but from what others say it's a very well known company and good working with private dealers and mom and pop shops.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

My rep Tasha was very informative about what this company offers. She was polite, helpful and made me feel valuable. Her knowledge of not only what her company had to offer in comparison to others plus no pressure tactics helped me make up my mind quickly.

CARCHEX Company Information