4.0/5 (329 ratings)
Get Pricing
Call Now Toll Free

About CARCHEX

CARCHEX helps you purchase and maintain your car by offering various vehicle products, including extended auto warranties. Rather than offering its own plans, CARCHEX works with multiple third-party warranty providers. These vehicle service contracts cover repairs due to mechanical failures or malfunctions but not collisions. Plans also come with additional benefits like roadside assistance and towing.

Pros

• Available in California
    • Partners with charities
    • Accepts high-mileage cars
    • Lower-cost plans available

Cons

• Doesn’t cover exotic vehicles
    • Some contracts aren’t renewable

Bottom Line

Consider CARCHEX if you’re looking for an extended auto warranty, especially if you have a high-mileage vehicle. Although its contracts can be confusing, company representatives can help you understand what you're signing.

Top CARCHEX Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX ?

Verified

The sign up process was really simple and easy. The associate gave me a lot of information and answered all of our questions. ... I had hard questions and if he didn't know the an...

Verified

I spoke to a young lady at CARCHEX. ... She was there to help me and she didn't let anything stop her. She was able to lower the price. The plan sounded like a pretty good deal. I...

CARCHEX warranty cost

The average price of a five-year contract with CARCHEX is about $1,500. Expect to pay approximately 2 cents per mile of coverage. However, costs vary based on your vehicle’s mileage, year, make and model. The best way to get a better idea of your cost is to get a quote directly from CARCHEX.

CARCHEX lets you pay for your extended warranty over a maximum of 24 months. No down payment is required during this period. CARCHEX accepts all major credit cards, and it has a 30-day, money-back guarantee in case you decide CARCHEX isn’t right for you.

CARCHEX plans

CARCHEX offers five coverage levels that span 16 different warranty plans from different providers.

Plan nameType of coverageTerm lengthsIdeal for
    Titanium CoverageBumper-to-bumper7 – 10 yearsComprehensive coverage
    Platinum CoverageStated-component5 – 10 yearsShort-term coverage
    Gold CoverageComprehensive5 – 10 yearsVehicles with over 60,000 miles
    Silver CoverageEssential5 – 10 yearsBasic coverage
    Bronze CoverageMajor systems5 – 6 yearsAffordability

Every CARCHEX warranty is, at a minimum, a powertrain warranty. This means that your vehicle’s transmission, drive axle(s) and engine are covered along with the other components that send power to the wheels.

CARCHEX coverage

CARCHEX’s coverage is available for vehicles with up to 250,000 miles. This coverage kicks in after a waiting period of 30 days and 1,000 miles, but this is a fairly standard requirement among extended auto warranty providers. Once you’re past the waiting period, CARCHEX covers authorized vehicle repairs made at licensed service facilities. You can use its mobile app or website to find a vehicle repair facility near you.

All of CARCHEX’s plans are transferable, and coverage is available in California, which isn't true of many warranty providers. However, not every warranty is renewable.

Additional benefits from CARCHEX include:

• Towing
    • Vehicle lockout services
    • Rental car coverage
    • Roadside assistance
    • Emergency fuel delivery

You can also opt for emissions coverage, key fob protection and luxury electronics coverage.

A CARCHEX auto warranty won’t cover everything, though. Modified or aftermarket components aren’t covered, including lift kits or trailer hitches. CARCHEX also doesn’t cover regular maintenance items like oil changes or consumable parts like tires, wiper blades and spark plugs. Check your vehicle service contract for details.

CARCHEX FAQ

What does CARCHEX cover?
    CARCHEX offers five levels of coverage, with 16 plans available through its various providers. These plans range from bumper-to-bumper to powertrain coverage.
    • The Titanium tier provides bumper-to-bumper coverage.
    • Platinum plans offer CARCHEX’s highest level of stated-component coverage.
    • Gold-tier warranties provide comprehensive coverage, including major vehicle components.
    • Silver programs offer essential coverage for major vehicle systems.
    • Bronze contracts are CARCHEX’s lowest level of coverage, often covering the vehicle’s powertrain.
    Is CARCHEX legitimate?
    Yes, CARCHEX is a legitimate company that partners with multiple warranty providers and is registered with reputable third-party organizations.
    Where is CARCHEX available?
    CARCHEX is available in all 50 states. Check the company’s website to make sure there’s an authorized repair facility near you.

Is CARCHEX worth it?

CARCHEX is worth it if you’re considering an extended auto warranty. Its coverage and additional benefits, like roadside assistance and fuel delivery, can provide peace of mind and save you money. Plus, its app makes it easy to find a licensed repair facility.

CARCHEX Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX ?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

I Google and read some B2B and the two names that kept coming up were Carchex and Endurance. I went with Endurance to start with but the guy there was terrible. I have a hearing disability and he was not willing to accommodate that. I told him to go pound sand. The next day, Carchex called. I spoke with a rep and it was to respond to the sheet I had filled out the night before. She was awesome. She immediately made me feel I was important and what I wanted was important even though she wasn't pushing herself.

She connected me to another rep and he did a great job hearing my dilemma and why I didn't buy a warranty from the dealer. He talked through things and told me what he had. I could have been more curious but I wasn't because he satisfied what it was that I wanted to know. I mentioned to him my story with Endurance and about how I'm a disabled veteran. He said they had stuff for veterans and I got an $800 discount for being one, which was awesome. The thing I liked about Endurance was it’s an entirely self-enclosed organization where Carchex is outsourcing and they are the handler. But I didn't see the cost saving to Endurance’s approach. It's about on par. Theirs was 4,700 and Carchex was 4,800. Cheaper for me would be by 10%.

The only thing is I would like more details available online so folks who are in my position don't have to sit on the phone and listen when that's not always advantageous. Carchex could also provide a link to the different plans. Consumers end up getting forced into a specific plan that's most advantageous to the vendor and not to the consumers. Companies come with a plan that they think would fit a consumer. But I want something that reasonably ties to what I have. Here's my pay and here's what my budget is. On the Carchex side, that wasn't bad. But it would be nice to self-service the whole thing like I do an insurance policy with USAA. I log into the system and it gives me all my options there. I'm fully aware of everything. At the end of it, you do this closure where you agree to these things and you put your signature.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 14, 2021

There's nothing wrong with the vehicle right now but it's gonna break and I want to be covered. But nobody will do that because I'm high mileage. It's like having a preexisting disorder or disease and then trying to get health insurance. Nobody wants to do it. If they do, you're going to pay through the nose. Carchex was a little more pricey but it was not crazy. It was what I would expect to pay for coverage. Nothing is free and I have a high mileage vehicle so you got to give a little to get a little. I was impressed.

The guy who set up my account answered all my questions and I had a million of them. I wanted to go month-to-month but nobody was offering it. Chris walked me through all of that and he would dig things out of the fine print to pull forward from the Zurich website that wasn't listed on the CARCHEX website. He showed me the people with older policy and what they were going to do for me and how much it was going to cost me to get it started. He showed me that there was a 30-day, 1,000-mile grace period prior to it going into coverage. He made me understand everything, which was why I went with CARCHEX. He made me comfortable and made me feel like they were not going to try and rip my head off. So, the representatives did their jobs well as opposed to trying to sell the product.

The experience with Carchex was good and it went down like a whirlwind. I changed my mind and they credited me back. I got a full refund because I jumped off prior to going into coverage. I thought that that money was going to be gone but they did exactly what they said they were going to do. Neither one of us knowing how that situation was going to turn out, but we were both prepared for whatever and they wound up going my way instead of CARCHEX way. But they held up their end of the bargain. It worked out and they were great. When I run through this truck, like I did the last truck and get ready for an extended warranty, I'm calling CARCHEX back.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

I thought it would just be kind of a prepaid maintenance plan. I did a lot of research into it and found that CARCHEX was recommended on a number of different sites, and the fact that they had what they called a bumper-to-bumper. Because we even found with the other warranty that we had up in Canada on our other car that oil fluids weren't covered if you were doing transmission fix. This one paid more for it, but it covered everything. We had a couple of little things that went wrong that ended up being pricey. They fixed my seat, got to a certain position and it would do whatever. I've had three or four repairs done through them now. They let me take it to where I wanted to, and then the dealership then just called them up and they made the payment directly through to the dealer, and that turned out really well for me.

I would go in for my standard service, so normal maintenance and repairs is not covered, so standard oil. Transmission oil was the big one for me because it cost me almost $400 for other things underneath my old policy, because they didn't cover fluids and/or the gaskets. There was a problem with the transmission, they fixed the transmission, but the seals and the oil weren't covered. When I went to the CARCHEX one, I found that they had one that was complete. That was great. But normal wear and tear maintenance, batteries, wire, tires, whatever, that's normal. But if they find something that's significant on that vehicle, I would say, "Well, call CARCHEX because that should be covered underneath my warranty." So, they phone CARCHEX, they get it all, and I might have to leave my vehicle there for a couple of days for them to get that straightened away, but that's just a normal process through this.

It was identified in there that if CARCHEX thinks that the garage is trying to take them, they have inspectors to go out and check on that, or at least phone them up and say, "Hey, send me pictures," and stuff like that that the dealership has to do. They look after themselves as well as me, and make sure that it is something that is really an item that should be covered under warranty and/or should be fixed. And that the value is there.

I just signed in for another four years. The car is one that we hope to have for a long time. We had my daughter's X3 in the city here, and both dealerships, by the time they were done, they had all this work would be about $6,000 or $7,000 and not worth fixing. Took it to a buddy, we ended up getting it down to 3,200 bucks. I know the priceyness of some of these repairs, especially if you got a valve cover gasket that is leaking. To do valve cover gaskets are $1,500 on a BMW. You just shake your head at it. If I could get that covered under this warranty, it's peace of mind more than anything else. And knowing I've got a standard warranty for four more years and a bumper-to-bumper other than normal maintenance, I was happy with that.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

I filled out the quoting information from two different companies. And then, it’s a very generic application so I got calls from five different companies, and I ended up going with CARCHEX. They were the first ones to call me, and Bill was so informative. Any questions I had, he more than gladly answered them. Bill advised me, whenever I get the ID card and if I have any other questions, just call him at his direct extension number. I told him I appreciated his help. The customer service is good. That’s one of the major reasons why I went with CARCHEX. And compared to every other company that I was getting a call from, I felt CARCHEX gave me the better option.

Even though the price was a bit cheaper, it was just the fact of how everything was coming about whenever the car needed service, which was one of my major issues. I was looking for something that I will have to pay some deductible or a certain percentage of, which I didn't mind. If something goes out that is a major issue and it's $3,000, I don't wanna put three grand into it. Other companies were, "Yeah, we'll only cover 50, and then you pay the other 50." I said, “Okay. So, you're telling me even if I'm paying as much as what I'm paying with you guys, I'm still gonna end up coming more out of my pocket whenever the engine blows up or something like that? So, if the engine is three grand, I will have to come up with 1,500, and then you guys cover the 1,500.” They were like, “Yeah. That’s it.” I was like, “I appreciate it, but I'm not going with you.”

Whenever an issue does come up, I'm glad I already have the service covered. Since mine is a bigger car and a newer one, it has more sensors and all this other stuff, and I don't wanna deal with any of that. So, in case something does go wrong with it and I decide to take it to the service, they would probably know the car back and forth, and it's free of mind.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

I usually buy new vehicles because I like to have a warranty on the vehicle. We're now trying to do a Dave Ramsey program and we are trying to pay for things without financing so I was looking into getting a used car. I had seen CARCHEX on the Carfax website so I called and I talked to a gentleman. He was so helpful and explained to me the ins and outs. He was honest about the pros and the cons.

But I did not end up buying the car that I was going to look at and I told the guy that we were still searching. He was so nice and told me that he would check back in on me. He called me back and asked if I had found a car. I still haven't yet. I wanted a convertible bug. It's a 2013 with 49,000 miles on it. The guy called again and by then, I told him we were getting the car that day and if he were to call me in the afternoon, we would talk. I told him my needs and my wants. He was going through it and he said 30,000 miles would come first. I couldn't do that because I put 30,000 miles on my car in a year. That was not going to be a three-year warranty for me. That was gonna be a one-year warranty.

But the guy was so thorough and was one of the best as far as dealing with anybody on the phone. He explained the differences like “I’m gonna put you on this. Your deductible will go down, but you're gonna lose some of your coverage. We’re going with a longer warranty.” In the end, I got the 100,000-mile three-year warranty. My car is covered until 150,000 miles and I couldn't believe it.

I checked with the Better Business Bureau and CARCHEX has an A rating with them. I checked out some of the reviews and what people were saying about them. I had seen that the CARCHEX is rated number one right now as far as car warranties. I felt very confident in my purchase. I also asked the guy if we could get the service cheaper if we were to pay all at once. We saved about $800.

I was not with my husband when I was making these decisions and I told the guy that. He said he would make it easier for me. He said he would put me down where I would only get charged as if I paid the policy in one payment. But they would set it up on six payments at 444, which was fine. Now, I have this nice car with a 100,000-mile warranty on it and it's paid for.

I was very satisfied with the customer service and with what I hope to get as the product. My mechanic told me that car warranties are great but sometimes they would screw you. They would send somebody out and would want the mechanic to tear the motor down completely. They would then say, "Well you didn't change the oil like you were supposed to. This is neglect." The motor's on the floor but the warranty company would not pay for it. I realize that there are things that may come along with the warranty but if I get what I was told for the cost that I was told, I will be extremely satisfied.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

I've been doing business with Carchex since March 2015. I have purchased several auto protection agreements and have personally recommended family members to their company. I sold my car in July and subsequently canceled my contract with CarChex. This had been the most dragged out and subsequently worst customer experience I've ever had with any business I've dealt with. Once you make a purchase, you are no longer revenue, rather a business expense. Further details will be added.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

The service with Carchex is great. I've been with them from 2015 to 2020 and then, I re-engaged with them three weeks ago. The experience that I have with some of their products led me to subscribe again. The claims process was good when I had them in the past and my only problem was when the inspector came in to evaluate the repair and was taking a little bit of time. You take the rental and pay for everything. And then, they will reimburse you, which I am not okay with. But other than that, they cover what they say they will cover.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

The reps from Carchex answered any concerns that I had. They pick the package that they want to give you, but it's okay. It covered my whole car.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

CARCHEX has a better rate. The rep was really nice, patient, and cool.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

Bill Y. was persistent and pleasant. I feel like I made a good decision with the package he offered. When asking for and setting up bank info I would have appreciated a heads-up that the withdrawal was going to be immediate.

CARCHEX Company Information