Call toll free
4.35/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

We're passionate about advocating to help consumers throughout the entire process of purchasing and maintaining a car. CARCHEX Vehicle Protection Specialists are committed to providing consumers with peace of mind by listening to the specific needs of each customer to find the highest level of coverage at the lowest possible price.

BOTTOM LINE

CARCHEX is an affordable extended auto warranty option, in addition to being a great choice for high-mileage cars. Although CARCHEX's contracts can be difficult to comprehend, their representatives can help you understand what you're getting into.

PROS

• Accepts high-mileage cars
  • Partners with charitable organizations
  • Affordable plans available
  • Available in California

CONS

• Some contracts are non-renewable
  • Exotic vehicles not covered

Top CARCHEX Reviews

12/20/2018

I have had CARCHEX in the past and was very satisfied with their service. I have returned and am sure I can expect the same high quality service as before. I shopped around and the price is more than fair. I would recommend this extended warranty to anyone.

02/18/2019

These people are great, military friendly, fast and courteous. They treat you look like family and not just another customer. I was expecting to wait on hold for extended period of time but they answered right away. I would recommend this company to anyone looking for an extended warranty.

CARCHEX cost

The average price for a five-year contract is about $1,500, making CARCHEX a highly affordable option. You can expect to pay approximately 2 cents per mile of coverage. CARCHEX prices are some of the lowest rates around. Costs do vary, though, based on your vehicle’s mileage, year, make and model. The mileage coverage can range from 36,000 miles to 125,000. The best way to get an idea of the cost is to get a quote directly from CARCHEX.

CARCHEX allows a maximum payment schedule of 24 months. This allows customers a long time to pay off their extended auto warranty. No down payment is required during this period. CARCHEX accepts all major credit cards and also has a 30-day money back guarantee in the case that you decide CARCHEX isn’t right for you. You won’t be charged a penny.

CARCHEX plans

CARCHEX offers five coverage options. These options have further plans to choose from, making sixteen choices in all. Every CARCHEX warranty is, at a minimum, a powertrain warranty. This means that the transmission, drive axles, engine and the rest of the vehicle’s powertrain are covered.

Plan nameType of coverageTerm lengthsBest for
Titanium CoverageBumper-to-bumper7–10 yearsComprehensive coverage
Platinum CoverageStated-component5–10 yearsShort-term coverage
Gold CoverageComprehensive5–10 yearsVehicles over 60,000 miles
Silver CoverageEssential6–7 yearsBasic coverage
Bronze CoverageMajor systems5–6 yearsAffordability

CARCHEX coverage

Customers must wait 30 days and 1,000 miles before the extended auto warranty coverage from CARCHEX kicks in. This is a standard requirement among extended auto warranty providers. Not every CARCHEX extended warranty is renewable. Make sure to inquire about this beforehand when speaking with a representative. CARCHEX limits coverage to cars under 150,000 miles.

Additional benefits from CARCHEX include towing, lockout services, flat tire changes, rental car coverage, roadside assistance and emergency fuel delivery for when you’ve run out of gas. You can also use the CARCHEX mobile app to help you find a certified vehicle repair facility nearby. This is especially important because all repairs must be performed by ASE-certified mechanics. Optional coverage includes emissions coverage, key fob protection and luxury electronics coverage.

A CARCHEX auto warranty can’t cover everything; for example, modified vehicles aren’t covered. This includes anything that wasn’t originally installed, like oversized tires, lift kits or a trailer hitch. It also won’t cover regular maintenance items like oil changes, new tires, wiper blades, spark plugs and some other basic car repairs.

Another big pro of CARCHEX is that coverage is available in California. Due to certain regulations, many extended auto warranties do not offer coverage there. CARCHEX is an exception.

Is CARCHEX worth it?

CARCHEX is worth it to those considering an extended auto warranty. The cost of CARCHEX is very low. In fact, it might be the cheapest you will find. In addition to their regular coverage, CARCHEX’s additional benefits like roadside service and fuel delivery can provide major peace of mind while you’re traveling. Plus, their app can help you find a compliant repair service location, so you know you’re in good hands. If you’re considering purchasing an extended auto warranty for your vehicle, make sure to consider CARCHEX.

2547 CARCHEX Consumer Reviews

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: June 2, 2019

I bought the car and it's still under the manufacturer's warranty right now. As a matter of fact, I'm dropping it off to have it checked over real quick and I've given a few excuses for me to look at a certain thing even though there's nothing wrong. And I figured, since it's still under their warranty, I can get it out of the way now if I have to. The vehicle in itself is really nice and Outbacks don't seem to have a big problem with transmissions or engines or anything else. But it has so many safety features and my biggest concern was all of the sensors. So, I thought it would be worth it to go ahead and get an extended warranty, especially for a timeframe. Besides, I don't do a lot of driving, so the amount of years will long outweigh the amount of miles.

My son recommended me to CARCHEX and other extended warranties are very similar with them in the sense that you have to pay $100 deductible upfront. But it came down to what's covered and it looked like CARCHEX covered more than what Subaru was offering. They offered 80,000 for eight-years while CARCHEX offered about 90,000 for seven years. But I'm not even gonna have this vehicle for seven years. I'm gonna turn it over in the next four to five years and I'd still have more mileage on it. So, even though the Subaru one was a year longer, I went with CARCHEX.

Aside from that, the Subaru one was more expensive. But initially, the first price that I was given at CARCHEX was higher than the one offered by Subaru. However, the gentleman went to his manager then the manager came out and took all the deductions for different items. So, once we got to all the little things that he was able to make deductions for then we became much less than the other one which has worked out really well. Their rep was also very good and very helpful. He answered all of my questions and in our conversation, I finally got around to what's not covered and the list was coming up pretty short considering. So, I felt that if I'm gonna buy one, I'm going to buy the best since the price was lower than the one that wasn't the best they had. So, for me, I got a better extended warranty at a lower price and I'm pretty happy.

So far, I'll see how it works out. It's like an insurance policy. You have it, but you're hoping never to use it. But it's gonna be very valuable just for the peace of mind. Outbacks aren't notorious for being glued to the shop, so I may never have to use it and for me, I don't wanna use it. But if I have to, it's nice to know that you got something there that will take care of business. All in all, my experience was straight to the point and I'd recommend CARCHEX.

Bill,

Thank you for leaving your review with us! Very glad to hear we could help set you up with coverage for your Outback. Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any additional questions!

Director of Customer Service

Get expert buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

When buying a car, if the person selling you the vehicle is trying to keep you from leaving, then 9 times out of 10 it’s a bad deal. But the person who knows they're giving you the best deal and coverage out there is gonna let you go if you wanna go and search. The people at CARCHEX, however, were confident and I like that. It was kind of a given to get an extended coverage for my Mercedes-Benz because their parts are expensive. And insurance doesn’t really cover everything that you need so you wanna make sure that you’re covered and that you’re getting a good deal. It’s a luxury vehicle and you wanna keep up with it.

I liked the way that the CARCHEX representative was speaking to me. It didn’t seem as if it was totally sales-driven and it was like they were looking out for the best interest for me. The gentleman I spoke with was very knowledgeable as pertaining to the coverage, which I liked. If he didn’t know the answers to some of the questions that I had to ask him, he was honest and he went out of his way to make sure that I would get the answer. He didn’t just say, “I don’t know,” and stopped there. He made sure that he got a supervisor to gain more information to let me know. As far as the understanding part, he wanted to make sure that he covered every nook and cranny, and he did, so he got me there.

It was around the holiday season and it was busy. I have four children, so my schedule is hectic but the rep followed up with me, and that was what got me to go along with it. If he didn’t follow up with me, I probably would've, on my own time, searched for something else. He got me at a good time and gave me the necessary space in between. From the first time that we spoke until the second time that we spoke, he gave me that space and he let me know a really good deal.

I wasn’t too familiar with warranties and I’ve had other people call me as well. But those other people weren’t trying to see if there was a better option or something that was more suitable for me, and CARCHEX did that. When the rep started listing some options, there were some things that I found out that I really don’t see any fit for. But he was able to accommodate that and I like that because sometimes, when you talk to sales associates, it’s like they’re robots. If you ask them anything outside of the ordinary, they’re like, “Wait. What? That’s not how the call is supposed to go.” I hope that every associate is like the one that I spoke with because he was totally awesome and great. He remembered that I have children and he knew I was busy around that time, but he was compassionate about that which was neat and I like it. I would recommend CARCHEX. The people are realistic, honest, suitable, convenient and flexible.

Tracey,

Very glad to hear we could assist with your vehicle protection! Please let us know if you have any further questions regarding your plan, and we thank you for choosing CARCHEX!

Director of Customer Service

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I wanted to have coverage on my car because I use it as a commute car. I got sold one on high pressure at the dealership when I purchased my car. However, the price that they offered me was extremely high and the guy didn't explain everything. It was obvious to me that they tried to put me on the high pressure and the rep tried to sell a product he didn't know. The guy started out at $2,900 then worked down to $1,515. I bought the warranty from the Toyota dealership for $1,515. But I was telling the guy that the price is not the only thing that a customer uses when they buy something. They need to know the value and until they know the value, the price has no relevance. So I had to come home, do my research and compare apple to apple. I told the guy that I was most likely gonna have buyer's remorse and cancel it. He said that I had 30 days to cancel.

I was gonna keep what I had but what made me change to CARCHEX was that when I was looking at what they offered, there were more apples than what I bought for a lot less. I bought CARCHEX for the same number of miles, 100,000 miles, and for seven years for $1096. My only thing with CARCHEX is when I went online and I put in my zip code, the site said there was no agent in my area. So I called the 1-800 number and the guy explained to me that CARCHEX is out of Maryland and a person has to be licensed to sell in California. But I still bought the warranty because the coverage is still good in California. CARCHEX also said I can take my car to any dealership. I don't necessarily have to take it to Toyota.

When I examined CARCHEX, I was expecting one answer but the salesperson exceeded my expectations in every area. I asked him direct questions, which he answered, then he even gave me extra. He should get a promotion because he did everything excellently. He was not only knowledgeable about the product, but he could also do what I was trying to get the guy at the dealership to do – to show me the value, compare one to the other and show me why it benefits me to buy their product. He was honest with me about it too. It felt like cross-examining on things.

He was also very informative and patient. After he explained everything to me, I told him that I was probably not gonna buy the warranty at that time. I told him that I was gonna undo the first contract then come back and buy it. There was no pressure and I did just that. I cancelled the first coverage then I called the salesperson back and made the purchase about a week later. I made the purchase over the phone by credit card and it was convenient to pay. I had to finance and we had to set up stuff and do a debit for under $61 a month for 18 months. So I pay as I go. That was good stuff.

The car I purchased was a used car but it was barely used. It’s still on the manufacturer warranty but if something goes wrong down the road, the $1,000 I paid would be easily recouped. I probably won't even have to use the $1,000 that I am paying but if I did need the warranty, it's good to have. Getting a warranty is more or less like buying auto insurance. You buy auto insurance because you have to have it. Also, If something happens, you are covered even though you can’t pay out of your pocket. And if you have to have insurance, it makes sense to shop around and compare insurance companies to see which one offers you the best for the least amount of money. CARCHEX answered that question.

Bobby,

Thank you for leaving your detailed review with us! We are very glad to hear your Protection specialist was able to assist in setting you up with coverage for your vehicle. Please feel free to reach out at any time should you have any additional questions for us.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I spoke with a rep for CARCHEX about the best extended warranty for me and found the Diamond with add on LEP/Emissions/Market Labor Rate was best. Now 3 months later I had to use the policy to replace a part within the steering system and am finding its more difficult then I thought when making a claim. First, it seemed like once the vehicle arrived at the repair facility to the time a rep contacted me back was very quick and seemed at the time flawless, only to find out later how I felt I was getting nickel and dimed to death. This contact is very similar to others, what it covered, how it’s covered and so on, but after talking to the very friendly and kind rep it got a bit confusing. My issue is two fold over coverage description - Market labor rate add on and how it reads that section F 13 does not apply ($100.00 per hour) and based upon Repair Facility’s posted labor rate.

Reading F 13 says the maximum hourly rate is based on Repair Facility posted labor rates. These 2 contradicts each other, basically saying the same, so what do I pay extra for? I was told they use a Nationally recognized labor guides for repairs in my area. Why does it say they will pay Posted Labor Rates and not say based off a Nationally recognized labor guides for repair rates under Market Labor Rate Option, which I chose to pay for. The diagnostic check that was completed by the licensed mechanic servicing the vehicle is something required in repairing the vehicle. Now let’s be very clear, I am not a mechanic or have any education in auto mechanics, but who are we to question a certified mechanic on how he performs his job on running the diagnostic test and how long this required step takes.

It’s clearly written under F 4 - This contract will not cover flat rate charges for diagnosis, but I was informed that this diagnostic test was based off a time period and the repair facility gave an estimate of 1 hour to complete under the hourly rate. Again, this is a labor rate and my plan I pay for the Market labor rate option, another part of the contract that contradicts its self and told by the rep using the National guide for this procedure is 24 minutes to complete and not an hour the certified mechanic quoted. So now I’m not paying a posted labor rate, but now it’s a fee divided by 60 minutes and I will be responsible for the remaining 26 minutes, now that’s really some nickel and dime craziness.

The second part of this fold is how they shop for a part and if the repair facility does not accept it I am responsible for the difference. Yes, it’s spelled out clearly in the contract, but I’m not a certified mechanic or work or n auto parts, so I will have to learn the hard way on this. Just a note, I will be shopping for a repair facility that fits this contract now and not following the first part that I can choose my own. Learning curve is how I will chalk this repair up. I just am finding out now (since this is my first claim) is having an extended warranty worth the fee I am paying to haggle over these small issues that contradicts itself.

Since the coverage on this repair will still cost $300 (includes the $100 deductible) still worth continuing? I understand we do not pay for insurance with the hopes we will use it, but in the event it is needed. In essence this is basically an insurance policy on an older vehicle and I do not want to use it, but now that I have it just seems like haggling over the little stuff just might lose more customers than keeping them. I feel I did my homework on shopping for a warranty and still feel that this was the right one. I should have read a few more reviews and already found a repair facility that fits this plan instead of going to one and finding out how it really works.

CARCHEX response

Thank you for your review. We tried to reach you by phone to discuss your concerns.

With regards to your coverage, the Diamond Titanium plan you purchased includes the optional Market Labor Rate option automatically.This means the administrator will pay the shop's posted labor rate on repairs.

We are reviewing the contract wording to see if this can be improved but what the contract is stating is the labor rate description in section 13 does NOT apply when you add the optional market labor rate option.

We would like to discuss the additional expenses above your deductible with you to determine how we can help. Please give us a call at (877)227-2439 Ext 6002.

CARCHEX Customer Service

Original review: June 24, 2018

I’ve had warranties in cars before and it generally worked out and has paid off. It was for security and to avoid having a costly outlay of money for something that I could have covered much less expensively. The warranties that I have on the vehicle expired or will be expiring in the near future. And I wanted to have some protection in events that I would have a fairly major repair. I consider an extended warranty an insurance where I don’t need it until I need it.

I researched online and looked at different companies that offered extended service plans. I also looked at ratings of the companies and saw that CARCHEX was one of the more highly rated companies in terms of their services and their coverage. And as I explored it further, I saw that the cost of their service is also competitive. I didn’t know CARCHEX before I’ve done the research but once I delved into it a bit and saw the reviews, I became more comfortable with the company. And I did a comparison with other companies that offered similar services.

The purchasing experience of my plan went well. I filled up an application online which pretty quickly resulted in a phone call from a sales representative of the company who asked questions and began to form a proposal based on what my answers were and gave me options from the basic to the more complete service. And we went over a period of two or three days and half a dozen phone calls for our conversations with their representative. I had a lot of questions for them after looking at the documentation that was provided such as a sample contract. And I got the answers to my questions with the representatives I talked with online. I felt good that, for whatever reason, I have 30 days to change to my mind if I wanted to do that once I signed up.

Tim was the principal person that I talked to and he did an excellent job. There wasn’t anything that I asked him that he didn’t seem to know about and he gave me a good, complete response. Initially, I told him that I was not ready to make the decision that day as I needed a little more time. So we talked the next day. And I had more questions and he was able to answer those. He was a good salesman and also a good resource person. He was not trying to rush the deal. Instead, he was very diligent, responsive and patient with me. Having a vehicle protection plan is pretty valuable based on the experience of friends and family. I’ve also had to use those plans because of an issue with my car but I’m hopeful that I will not have a major issue. But, in case I do, I feel comfortable that I’m covered by this company.

Steve,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! Very glad we could assist in setting you up with coverage for your vehicle. Please reach out at any time should you have any additional questions regarding your plan. Thank you for choosing CARCHEX!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX ?

Original review: June 14, 2019

I heard about CARCHEX. I went online and then went to ConsumerAffairs and Better Business Bureau. I went to the top 3 sites, and CARCHEX is one of them. And they had a payment plan that I could pay this warranty off over time. It was also a warranty that I felt that was very reasonable. The coverage is fine. I have a very big car and I baby it a lot. I do all my stuff on my car that I’m supposed to do. I’m just apprehensive of being able to keep all the bills together in case I'm asked for stuff. But my husband said I just need to go back to the place where I get my stuff done, and they’re able to print stuff. So that shouldn’t be a problem. I just signed up with them a month ago and so far it’s been very pleasant. I was new to this and Sean was this gentleman who helped me. He was very thorough and talked to me.

Original review: June 14, 2019

I called CARCHEX and spoke to a fellow named Ken. We went back and forth, and then I talked to another company and they had a better rate. Ken said he went back and forth with his boss, and that was the lowest he could do. So I told him that I was gonna check with the other companies. I forgot the name of the company that Ken worked for, and I called the next one down, thinking it was a different company. I called the same company again, CARCHEX. I didn't know it was the same company, and the guy there gave me a better rate than Ken. It was longer term and less money. Then he put me on hold and he was gone for quite a while, came back and gave me the deal. It wasn’t until the thing was completely done that I saw that evidently, he went and talked to Ken. But they gave me a better rate, so I just took it and didn't go on looking anymore.

It was odd to me that Ken told me several times that it was the best he could do and that he had gone back and forth with his boss and he wouldn’t let it go down. I had talked to another company before I talked to Ken, and it was less money. And when I talked to Ken, he couldn't beat it. Overall, it was a nice purchase and Ken worked hard, but he must've wanted a bigger commission out of it. But it worked out good.

Original review: June 13, 2019

Rae ** helped me purchasing extended auto warranty for lease buyout vehicle. I saw online that CARCHEX has the highest rating for extended auto warranty. A Rep called me as soon as submitted the quote request online and connected me with Rae. She explained the warranty details and very knowledgeable on most common issues with my car, so I feel comfortable with the warranty she proposed.

Original review: June 13, 2019

I was purchasing an older vehicle and I liked CARCHEX’s comprehensive plan. Peter, the person that I spoke to, was very helpful and very knowledgeable. I came across on the internet a lot of negative feedback about CARCHEX so it makes me a little bit concerned and hesitant because it's a lot of money to buy an extended warranty. So, I'm hoping we don't have any issues.

I never believed in a vehicle protection plan. I always felt that they were a waste of money until my last vehicle. We've always bought an extended warranty plan with every single one of our vehicles but I never had to use them. My husband talked me into getting it on the last vehicle because I was telling them that I didn't need one. It was a two-year-old car with only 20,000 miles on it and it has lots of issues. It has more than paid for itself.

Alison,

We appreciate your review, and are glad to hear Peter was able to assist you! Please do not hesitate to give us a call any time should you have any additional questions for us. We can be reached at 877-227-2439.

Original review: June 13, 2019

I did a Google search and CARCHEX was one of the top ones. Purchasing their vehicle protection plan was pretty good. They explained everything well and I was pleased with the customer representative that I spoke with. Having it is valuable, but I can't fully assess until something happens. I just started less than a month ago.

Carolyn,

Thank you for your review! Very glad to hear we could assist in setting you up with coverage for your vehicle. Please reach out at any time should you have any additional questions regarding your plan. Thank you for choosing CARCHEX!

Original review: June 12, 2019

In case I needed coverage on my engine, transmission or something else in the future, I checked on a website and checked the best option for me. I got Carchex and the reps did a good job.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I just bought a car and I decided to look into acquiring extended coverage for it. The purchasing experience at CARCHEX was great. The representative was awesome and very knowledgeable. She answered my questions to the best of her knowledge. I've recommended them to my husband.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I like getting coverage and I feel bad if I don't have it. I got an extended coverage to keep the cost down, and the guy from CARCHEX was very educational. Every time I had a question, he got right back to me. Everything's been positive.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I didn’t have an extended coverage and I knew I needed to get one. I found CARCHEX online then I spoke with someone over the phone. The quote they gave me started off high but I told them I couldn’t afford it. I spoke to a manager and he ended up giving me something that was more in my price range. Both representatives that I spoke to were good. They explained the benefits and everything that came along with the package that I have. I'm satisfied and I appreciate those who worked with me.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I have an expensive car, so I know I probably couldn’t pay for it if something big comes up. I looked on the internet for an extended coverage provider and went with CARCHEX. My experience was good. Their rep worked with me, and everything worked out fine. He explained to me a lot. I’ve asked him a lot of questions. He explained to me what would be covered and what would not be. He was really nice.

Anthony,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you are pleased with your coverage! If there is anything we can do to further assist you, please feel free to reach out at any time.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I've gotten extended coverage from Carchex in case I need a repair for my car 'cause it can be expensive. It's very valuable to have. It was easy to purchase and their reps were very good and polite. They assisted me when I needed it and answered my questions and whatever issues I had.

Original review: June 9, 2019

When I bought my car, they gave me an extended warranty for 60,000 miles. I added some things that would come ahead with it. I got it through the dealership that I bought it from. And it expired at 93,000 miles. So, I figured I would go ahead and get me another one because they were good. I looked for the best people to get an extended warranty with, and CARCHEX popped on one site as number one. Plus, they had a Better Business Bureau endorsement. The CARCHEX reps went through all details with me and explained everything to me well.

Edward,

Original review: June 9, 2019

For peace of mind, I decided to purchase an extended coverage for my car. I found CARCHEX online, then I spoke to them. I realized they are in my city, so that makes it a little bit easier. Their sales person was really good. Everything has been okay for now, and they were accommodating too with my demands.

Akinyele,

Original review: June 8, 2019

My experience with CARCHEX was okay. I've had good interactions with the rep but he was a little pushy and was persistently calling me back and making me think about getting the extended warranty. I hope I get all my money's worth.

William,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback. If you have additional questions regarding your Protection Plan, please do not hesitate to give us a call. We are happy to assist you!

Original review: June 8, 2019

Purchased my policy June 6. My wife and me decided to trade the car in for a new one instead two days later. I'm trying to cancel and get a full refund. I keep getting the runaround and I'm sick of it!! The seller told me, "Well your next billing date is not till July 7th," which is a lie. Next billing date is June 30th. I'm not that stupid. I want my 100 dollars back, No hassle, No runaround!! If necessary I will get a new credit card and cancel the other one so no other amount of money comes out whatsoever and file a fraudulent charge if any more does which I made perfectly clear I WANT TO CANCEL AND WANT my 100 back asap.

CARCHEX response

Thank you for your review. We apologize for your experience with our staff attempting to cancel your coverage. In review of your calls, you spoke with your Vehicle Protection Specialist about cancellation who discussed keeping the coverage until you sell the car in several months.

We have called and emailed you to assist with cancellation of your policy. If you could please reply to our email or give us a call, we will cancel your coverage and immediately refund your payment.

CARCHEX Customer Service Department

Original review: June 8, 2019

My vehicle is getting to that mileage. I needed to make sure that I was covered and purchasing Carchex has been great. The rep was very knowledgeable and willing to help. The payment plan was very reasonable.

Jeffrey,

Thank you for leaving your review with us! We are happy to have you as a CARCHEX customer, and glad we could assist.

Original review: June 7, 2019

This company does not deserve any stars but I had to select at least one star to tell about my experience. I purchased the Centennial Plan in March, 2019, a few days after I purchased my older well-maintained vehicle. A few months down the road, I experienced some unresponsiveness so I took the car to an authorized dealer who proceeded to call Carchex. It took them two and a half weeks for Carchex to return the calls and another week and a half for an adjuster to come to assess the vehicle.

In the meantime, I was constantly in communication with a "Kevin" at Royal Administration Services, who is the third-party administrator for Carchex. He asked me for documentation that did not pertain to the claim at all, such as the car registration, title, smog check, bill of sale, and the Dept. of Motor Vehicles paperwork. When I questioned as to why I needed to present all of that, I was informed that if I didn't, the claim could be denied. I reluctantly presented all of which was asked for.

A couple of days later, I guess after it was determined that the car was indeed legal, the claim was denied. Kevin told me that the contract should've never been sold to me and I should ask for my money back. Oh, and by the way, the claim was DENIED based upon a "pre-existing" condition. I thought consumers purchase extended warranties on used vehicles to help absorb the cost because of the wear and tear which could lead to a condition unbeknownst to the new buyer.

I immediately called Carchex and talked to Adam ** to demand my money back and of course, he disagreed with everything Kevin from Royal said about them not having the authority of selling third-party contracts. He was extremely argumentative and arrogant and told me to "take them to court" when I told him I wanted ALL of my money back. Bottom line is get an extended warranty from a company that does not have third-party administrators and who will honor their contracts. Extremely dissatisfied in Las Vegas, NV.

CARCHEX response

Thank you for your review. As the retailer of your coverage, we appreciate your feedback relating to your experience with the 3rd party claims administrators. It allows us to address concerns with the claims administrator. We have reached out to the management team at Royal Administration and will address your claims concerns.

Based on the recorded calls, your repair shop called in a transmission claim on 4/23/2019. The claim was denied on 4/26/2019 with a letter of denial mailed on 4/29/2019. Your claim required a 3rd party inspection of the vehicle to determine the cause of failures which is why the claims decision took 3 business days (not 2 weeks). The claim was denied due to the failure being determined to be a pre-existing issue.

With regards to the adjuster requesting the bill of sale/purchase info, this was required to show you recently purchased the vehicle. If you had owned the vehicle for some time, maintenance records would have been required as part of the claim. Normally, the administrator pulls a CARFAX vehicle report to obtain this info however with the vehicle recently purchased and the claim being called in 53 days from purchase, CARFAX had not updated the information. We understand the frustration in having to provide the documentation, but in this case it was needed to proceed with the claim.

While we understand your frustration but after review of your claim it appears the administrator handled your claim appropriately. If you have any adDitional questions or concerns about your claim, please give us a call at (877)227-2439 Ext. 6002.

CARCHEX Customer Service Team

Original review: June 7, 2019

Very dissatisfied, after paying for 5 months my car broke. They canceled my contract and now I have to wait 60 days for a refund and need to pay out of pocket for repairs. My car sat in the shop for 10 days waiting to get an approval for repairs that were denied. Every time I called I was told something different. My request to speak to someone with authority to advise me of any issues was never filled. My car is still in the shop waiting because my money has not been refunded.

CARCHEX response

Thank you for your review. We have requested your refund check be sent out right away. According to the contract administrator, your claim was delayed while requesting additional documentation to attempt to verify the odometer on your vehicle so your claim could proceed. per the vehicle's CARFAX Vehicle Report, prior to your ownership of the vehicle the odometer was rolled back from 153,000 miles to 106,000 miles.

Due to this rollback, your vehicle was no longer eligible for coverage so a full refund is being issued. While a normal pro-rated refund takes 60 days, due to this being voided by the administrator you should receive your refund in 5-7 days.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please give us a call.

CARCHEX Customer Service Team

Original review: June 7, 2019

CARCHEX was listed right along with the Chrysler Corporation warranty online. And I was sold on the price. I got the salesman competing with the Mopar price. Also, what I understand is they’re top-of-the-line. My experience with the company has been good.

Walter,

Thank you for leaving your review with us! Very glad to hear we could help set you up with coverage for your vehicle. Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any additional questions!

Original review: June 7, 2019

I just got a warranty from Carchex last week. They asked me a bunch of questions, and I asked them a bunch of questions. Everything went very smoothly.

Michael,

Thank you for your review! Very glad we could assist in setting you up with coverage for your vehicle. Please don't hesitate to reach out should you have any additional questions regarding your plan!

Original review: June 6, 2019

Had a terrible time canceling and the contract will not cover any expense over what they determine is the cash value of car. To me canceling should be easier and frankly done online. I also believe that coverage should be upfront.

CARCHEX response

Thank you for your review. Unfortunately your review is anonymous so we are unable to locate your account to address your concerns. With regards to your review, all Vehicle Service Contracts have a limit of liability. It is important to review this to ensure it meets your needs. Please be aware that while some plans only cover up to the actual cash value, many of our policies cover up to $15,000 or actual cash value, whichever is greater. This ensures older vehicle and high mileage vehicles receive the benefits of the vehicle service contract.

With regards to the cancellation process, Vehicle Service Contracts require written documentation of your cancellation including a signature from the contract holder. While inconvenient, it is required by the insurer of the contract to ensure there are no disputes after cancellation about whether or not the contract holder cancelled the coverage. In the Vehicle Service Contract industry, customers have cancelled via phone call or email in the past and attempted to file a major claim (4) months later for an engine claiming to have not cancelled. These disputes often lead to legal disputes so the insurer requires a written letter and signature to be mailed in to avoid any disputes.

If you would like to discuss either of these issues, please give us a call at (877)227-2439 Ext. 6002.

CARCHEX Customer Service

Original review: June 6, 2019

I found Carchex online. It’s rating is higher and it has good reviews, but it's bit more costly. It will be better to pay monthly rather than 24 months in 5 years. Still, when I bought the extended warranty, setting it up was very quick and the people were all very helpful.

Original review: June 6, 2019

I was worrying about having to come up with a significant amount of money out of pocket if I have problems with my vehicle. So, I decided to do some research and based on the rating of CARCHEX, which was an A plus in the Better Business Bureau, I decided to move forward with them. It was a matter of trying to get the best coverage and when I looked at the reviews, it seemed that most of them were positive. And when I purchased the plan, the process was seamless and things went pretty smoothly. Their reps were very knowledgeable and very informative, too. My interaction with them went very well and I have no complaints.All in all, the warranty is extremely valuable to me, especially when you have a payment to meet. One of the last things you wanna add on top of that is significant repairs.

Anthony,

Original review: June 5, 2019

I have a relatively new car and when I initially purchased it, I did not get the extended warranty. But now, my job requires me to travel more so than I did before and that’s why I got the extended warranty. I looked at two other providers but when I spoke to the representative at CARCHEX, I liked his spirit better. Sometimes, you will make a decision not based on the company itself or the company’s attributes. It's just the person that you’re speaking to and you’re hoping that the company has similar values to this particular person because they're there.

The person was relatable and very personable. So it was a comfortable interaction. Still, it’s a sales-based job so they’re gonna put the highest package out there to you. But when I looked at everything, it was in fact the better package for what I needed and what I wanted. With things and the way we live in this world today, I know car repairs can be very costly. So the warranty was what makes more sense – to pay a small amount for a monthly or pay a gigantic amount which could also be monthly. You never know. Cars break down. There’s nothing guaranteed. So I can pay CARCHEX, make sure my car is fixed and get a rental which does not impede my lifestyle, and I’m fine.

Tereska,

We appreciate your review! Please reach out at any time should you have any additional questions regarding your plan.Thank you for choosing CARCHEX!

Original review: June 5, 2019

My car is getting older and having a warranty is good. I went to the Better Business Bureau website to look at warranties. I ended up calling CARCHEX and I didn't have to be on the phone long. It was definitely quick and easy. Customer service was good. When I was supposed to make my payment, another payment had hit, and I couldn’t make the whole payment for CARCHEX, but the rep made it work. So, that was good with me. It was a good experience. I'm happy that they're BBB accredited.

The rep that I dealt with explained everything. And everything that he explained was better than the first place that I called. CARCHEX was reasonable, way cheaper, and I got more mileage. I know I'm covered. So, if anything happens, I just have to wait a few weeks to get my car fixed. It gives me peace of mind knowing that I could drive my car cross-country and come back. I have recommended CARCHEX to my friend.

Latice,

Thank you for leaving your review with us! Very glad we could assist. Please reach out at any time should you have any additional questions regarding your plan.

CARCHEX Company Information