Call toll free
4.26/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

We're passionate about advocating to help consumers throughout the entire process of purchasing and maintaining a car. CARCHEX Vehicle Protection Specialists are committed to providing consumers with peace of mind by listening to the specific needs of each customer to find the highest level of coverage at the lowest possible price.

BOTTOM LINE

CARCHEX is an affordable extended auto warranty option, in addition to being a great choice for high-mileage cars. Although CARCHEX's contracts can be difficult to comprehend, their representatives can help you understand what you're getting into.

PROS

• Accepts high-mileage cars
  • Partners with charitable organizations
  • Affordable plans available
  • Available in California

CONS

• Some contracts are non-renewable
  • Exotic vehicles not covered

Top CARCHEX Reviews

12/20/2018

I have had CARCHEX in the past and was very satisfied with their service. I have returned and am sure I can expect the same high quality service as before. I shopped around and the price is more than fair. I would recommend this extended warranty to anyone.

02/18/2019

These people are great, military friendly, fast and courteous. They treat you look like family and not just another customer. I was expecting to wait on hold for extended period of time but they answered right away. I would recommend this company to anyone looking for an extended warranty.

CARCHEX cost

The average price for a five-year contract is about $1,500, making CARCHEX a highly affordable option. You can expect to pay approximately 2 cents per mile of coverage. CARCHEX prices are some of the lowest rates around. Costs do vary, though, based on your vehicle’s mileage, year, make and model. The mileage coverage can range from 36,000 miles to 125,000. The best way to get an idea of the cost is to get a quote directly from CARCHEX.

CARCHEX allows a maximum payment schedule of 24 months. This allows customers a long time to pay off their extended auto warranty. No down payment is required during this period. CARCHEX accepts all major credit cards and also has a 30-day money back guarantee in the case that you decide CARCHEX isn’t right for you. You won’t be charged a penny.

CARCHEX plans

CARCHEX offers five coverage options. These options have further plans to choose from, making sixteen choices in all. Every CARCHEX warranty is, at a minimum, a powertrain warranty. This means that the transmission, drive axles, engine and the rest of the vehicle’s powertrain are covered.

Plan nameType of coverageTerm lengthsBest for
Titanium CoverageBumper-to-bumper7–10 yearsComprehensive coverage
Platinum CoverageStated-component5–10 yearsShort-term coverage
Gold CoverageComprehensive5–10 yearsVehicles over 60,000 miles
Silver CoverageEssential6–7 yearsBasic coverage
Bronze CoverageMajor systems5–6 yearsAffordability

CARCHEX coverage

Customers must wait 30 days and 1,000 miles before the extended auto warranty coverage from CARCHEX kicks in. This is a standard requirement among extended auto warranty providers. Not every CARCHEX extended warranty is renewable. Make sure to inquire about this beforehand when speaking with a representative. CARCHEX limits coverage to cars under 150,000 miles.

Additional benefits from CARCHEX include towing, lockout services, flat tire changes, rental car coverage, roadside assistance and emergency fuel delivery for when you’ve run out of gas. You can also use the CARCHEX mobile app to help you find a certified vehicle repair facility nearby. This is especially important because all repairs must be performed by ASE-certified mechanics. Optional coverage includes emissions coverage, key fob protection and luxury electronics coverage.

A CARCHEX auto warranty can’t cover everything; for example, modified vehicles aren’t covered. This includes anything that wasn’t originally installed, like oversized tires, lift kits or a trailer hitch. It also won’t cover regular maintenance items like oil changes, new tires, wiper blades, spark plugs and some other basic car repairs.

Another big pro of CARCHEX is that coverage is available in California. Due to certain regulations, many extended auto warranties do not offer coverage there. CARCHEX is an exception.

Is CARCHEX worth it?

CARCHEX is worth it to those considering an extended auto warranty. The cost of CARCHEX is very low. In fact, it might be the cheapest you will find. In addition to their regular coverage, CARCHEX’s additional benefits like roadside service and fuel delivery can provide major peace of mind while you’re traveling. Plus, their app can help you find a compliant repair service location, so you know you’re in good hands. If you’re considering purchasing an extended auto warranty for your vehicle, make sure to consider CARCHEX.

2646 CARCHEX Consumer Reviews

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: June 2, 2019

I bought the car and it's still under the manufacturer's warranty right now. As a matter of fact, I'm dropping it off to have it checked over real quick and I've given a few excuses for me to look at a certain thing even though there's nothing wrong. And I figured, since it's still under their warranty, I can get it out of the way now if I have to. The vehicle in itself is really nice and Outbacks don't seem to have a big problem with transmissions or engines or anything else. But it has so many safety features and my biggest concern was all of the sensors. So, I thought it would be worth it to go ahead and get an extended warranty, especially for a timeframe. Besides, I don't do a lot of driving, so the amount of years will long outweigh the amount of miles.

My son recommended me to CARCHEX and other extended warranties are very similar with them in the sense that you have to pay $100 deductible upfront. But it came down to what's covered and it looked like CARCHEX covered more than what Subaru was offering. They offered 80,000 for eight-years while CARCHEX offered about 90,000 for seven years. But I'm not even gonna have this vehicle for seven years. I'm gonna turn it over in the next four to five years and I'd still have more mileage on it. So, even though the Subaru one was a year longer, I went with CARCHEX.

Aside from that, the Subaru one was more expensive. But initially, the first price that I was given at CARCHEX was higher than the one offered by Subaru. However, the gentleman went to his manager then the manager came out and took all the deductions for different items. So, once we got to all the little things that he was able to make deductions for then we became much less than the other one which has worked out really well. Their rep was also very good and very helpful. He answered all of my questions and in our conversation, I finally got around to what's not covered and the list was coming up pretty short considering. So, I felt that if I'm gonna buy one, I'm going to buy the best since the price was lower than the one that wasn't the best they had. So, for me, I got a better extended warranty at a lower price and I'm pretty happy.

So far, I'll see how it works out. It's like an insurance policy. You have it, but you're hoping never to use it. But it's gonna be very valuable just for the peace of mind. Outbacks aren't notorious for being glued to the shop, so I may never have to use it and for me, I don't wanna use it. But if I have to, it's nice to know that you got something there that will take care of business. All in all, my experience was straight to the point and I'd recommend CARCHEX.

Bill,

Thank you for leaving your review with us! Very glad to hear we could help set you up with coverage for your Outback. Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any additional questions!

Director of Customer Service

Get expert buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

When buying a car, if the person selling you the vehicle is trying to keep you from leaving, then 9 times out of 10 it’s a bad deal. But the person who knows they're giving you the best deal and coverage out there is gonna let you go if you wanna go and search. The people at CARCHEX, however, were confident and I like that. It was kind of a given to get an extended coverage for my Mercedes-Benz because their parts are expensive. And insurance doesn’t really cover everything that you need so you wanna make sure that you’re covered and that you’re getting a good deal. It’s a luxury vehicle and you wanna keep up with it.

I liked the way that the CARCHEX representative was speaking to me. It didn’t seem as if it was totally sales-driven and it was like they were looking out for the best interest for me. The gentleman I spoke with was very knowledgeable as pertaining to the coverage, which I liked. If he didn’t know the answers to some of the questions that I had to ask him, he was honest and he went out of his way to make sure that I would get the answer. He didn’t just say, “I don’t know,” and stopped there. He made sure that he got a supervisor to gain more information to let me know. As far as the understanding part, he wanted to make sure that he covered every nook and cranny, and he did, so he got me there.

It was around the holiday season and it was busy. I have four children, so my schedule is hectic but the rep followed up with me, and that was what got me to go along with it. If he didn’t follow up with me, I probably would've, on my own time, searched for something else. He got me at a good time and gave me the necessary space in between. From the first time that we spoke until the second time that we spoke, he gave me that space and he let me know a really good deal.

I wasn’t too familiar with warranties and I’ve had other people call me as well. But those other people weren’t trying to see if there was a better option or something that was more suitable for me, and CARCHEX did that. When the rep started listing some options, there were some things that I found out that I really don’t see any fit for. But he was able to accommodate that and I like that because sometimes, when you talk to sales associates, it’s like they’re robots. If you ask them anything outside of the ordinary, they’re like, “Wait. What? That’s not how the call is supposed to go.” I hope that every associate is like the one that I spoke with because he was totally awesome and great. He remembered that I have children and he knew I was busy around that time, but he was compassionate about that which was neat and I like it. I would recommend CARCHEX. The people are realistic, honest, suitable, convenient and flexible.

Tracey,

Very glad to hear we could assist with your vehicle protection! Please let us know if you have any further questions regarding your plan, and we thank you for choosing CARCHEX!

Director of Customer Service

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

We made a decision that we're going to keep the two cars that we presently have for a longer period of time than we normally do. In the past, I rarely bought an extended warranty package, and when I did, it was usually on some kind of specialty car. CARCHEX wasn't the only company that I looked into. I looked into three other companies and they were evasive about giving information out. I had started out with Endurance and it was terrible. I would never ever do any business with them even though they were rated number one. On the other hand, when I spoke to the people at CARCHEX, they gave me an answer on everything I asked them, and that made me more comfortable. There were a couple of things we had to negotiate on and they were very straightforward and negotiated honestly. When they sent me my pricing, it was exactly what we had agreed on.

They have a laundry list of what their different packages cover and I had a good idea of what I was interested in and what my primary needs were. I went down the list they sent me, all that information by email, so I was able to read it and print it up and spend some time with it. My needs were related to drivetrain and electronics. But the package that we ended up buying on both cars is all-inclusive. Both the packages are the same, but the prices were slightly different because the cars aren't the same. Their rep, Jason, was very accommodating and was upfront if there were certain things he wasn't sure of. He also brought someone else online who had a little bit more experience and between the two of them, they answered all of my questions.

You don't know how important a vehicle protection plan is until suddenly you have a major item occur. The protection plan was about $4,500 for the two cars. You can do a lot of repairs for $4,500, but you can also have a transmission go or an electronic system go on your car, and it can cost you more than that. We typically replace our cars every two years and that way, you never have to worry as it stays in warranty and I never have any major issues to deal with. But in this case, my wife has a CRV Honda which she loves and I bought a Mini Cooper, which I'm gonna use as my toy. The Mini Coopers made by BMW can be very complicated to repair also because of the electronics in it. The engine in it is made by BMW, and it's a twin turbo, so it can be super expensive if something goes wrong with it. Overall, CARCHEX is very good.

William,

Thank you for providing us with your valuable feedback. Very glad to hear we could assist with your vehicle protection needs! Should any questions arise, please feel free to reach out at any time. We appreciate your review, and thank you for choosing CARCHEX!

Customer Service Manager

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I wanted to have coverage on my car because I use it as a commute car. I got sold one on high pressure at the dealership when I purchased my car. However, the price that they offered me was extremely high and the guy didn't explain everything. It was obvious to me that they tried to put me on the high pressure and the rep tried to sell a product he didn't know. The guy started out at $2,900 then worked down to $1,515. I bought the warranty from the Toyota dealership for $1,515. But I was telling the guy that the price is not the only thing that a customer uses when they buy something. They need to know the value and until they know the value, the price has no relevance. So I had to come home, do my research and compare apple to apple. I told the guy that I was most likely gonna have buyer's remorse and cancel it. He said that I had 30 days to cancel.

I was gonna keep what I had but what made me change to CARCHEX was that when I was looking at what they offered, there were more apples than what I bought for a lot less. I bought CARCHEX for the same number of miles, 100,000 miles, and for seven years for $1096. My only thing with CARCHEX is when I went online and I put in my zip code, the site said there was no agent in my area. So I called the 1-800 number and the guy explained to me that CARCHEX is out of Maryland and a person has to be licensed to sell in California. But I still bought the warranty because the coverage is still good in California. CARCHEX also said I can take my car to any dealership. I don't necessarily have to take it to Toyota.

When I examined CARCHEX, I was expecting one answer but the salesperson exceeded my expectations in every area. I asked him direct questions, which he answered, then he even gave me extra. He should get a promotion because he did everything excellently. He was not only knowledgeable about the product, but he could also do what I was trying to get the guy at the dealership to do – to show me the value, compare one to the other and show me why it benefits me to buy their product. He was honest with me about it too. It felt like cross-examining on things.

He was also very informative and patient. After he explained everything to me, I told him that I was probably not gonna buy the warranty at that time. I told him that I was gonna undo the first contract then come back and buy it. There was no pressure and I did just that. I cancelled the first coverage then I called the salesperson back and made the purchase about a week later. I made the purchase over the phone by credit card and it was convenient to pay. I had to finance and we had to set up stuff and do a debit for under $61 a month for 18 months. So I pay as I go. That was good stuff.

The car I purchased was a used car but it was barely used. It’s still on the manufacturer warranty but if something goes wrong down the road, the $1,000 I paid would be easily recouped. I probably won't even have to use the $1,000 that I am paying but if I did need the warranty, it's good to have. Getting a warranty is more or less like buying auto insurance. You buy auto insurance because you have to have it. Also, If something happens, you are covered even though you can’t pay out of your pocket. And if you have to have insurance, it makes sense to shop around and compare insurance companies to see which one offers you the best for the least amount of money. CARCHEX answered that question.

Bobby,

Thank you for leaving your detailed review with us! We are very glad to hear your Protection specialist was able to assist in setting you up with coverage for your vehicle. Please feel free to reach out at any time should you have any additional questions for us.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I spoke with a rep for CARCHEX about the best extended warranty for me and found the Diamond with add on LEP/Emissions/Market Labor Rate was best. Now 3 months later I had to use the policy to replace a part within the steering system and am finding its more difficult then I thought when making a claim. First, it seemed like once the vehicle arrived at the repair facility to the time a rep contacted me back was very quick and seemed at the time flawless, only to find out later how I felt I was getting nickel and dimed to death. This contact is very similar to others, what it covered, how it’s covered and so on, but after talking to the very friendly and kind rep it got a bit confusing. My issue is two fold over coverage description - Market labor rate add on and how it reads that section F 13 does not apply ($100.00 per hour) and based upon Repair Facility’s posted labor rate.

Reading F 13 says the maximum hourly rate is based on Repair Facility posted labor rates. These 2 contradicts each other, basically saying the same, so what do I pay extra for? I was told they use a Nationally recognized labor guides for repairs in my area. Why does it say they will pay Posted Labor Rates and not say based off a Nationally recognized labor guides for repair rates under Market Labor Rate Option, which I chose to pay for. The diagnostic check that was completed by the licensed mechanic servicing the vehicle is something required in repairing the vehicle. Now let’s be very clear, I am not a mechanic or have any education in auto mechanics, but who are we to question a certified mechanic on how he performs his job on running the diagnostic test and how long this required step takes.

It’s clearly written under F 4 - This contract will not cover flat rate charges for diagnosis, but I was informed that this diagnostic test was based off a time period and the repair facility gave an estimate of 1 hour to complete under the hourly rate. Again, this is a labor rate and my plan I pay for the Market labor rate option, another part of the contract that contradicts its self and told by the rep using the National guide for this procedure is 24 minutes to complete and not an hour the certified mechanic quoted. So now I’m not paying a posted labor rate, but now it’s a fee divided by 60 minutes and I will be responsible for the remaining 26 minutes, now that’s really some nickel and dime craziness.

The second part of this fold is how they shop for a part and if the repair facility does not accept it I am responsible for the difference. Yes, it’s spelled out clearly in the contract, but I’m not a certified mechanic or work or n auto parts, so I will have to learn the hard way on this. Just a note, I will be shopping for a repair facility that fits this contract now and not following the first part that I can choose my own. Learning curve is how I will chalk this repair up. I just am finding out now (since this is my first claim) is having an extended warranty worth the fee I am paying to haggle over these small issues that contradicts itself.

Since the coverage on this repair will still cost $300 (includes the $100 deductible) still worth continuing? I understand we do not pay for insurance with the hopes we will use it, but in the event it is needed. In essence this is basically an insurance policy on an older vehicle and I do not want to use it, but now that I have it just seems like haggling over the little stuff just might lose more customers than keeping them. I feel I did my homework on shopping for a warranty and still feel that this was the right one. I should have read a few more reviews and already found a repair facility that fits this plan instead of going to one and finding out how it really works.

CARCHEX response

Thank you for your review. We tried to reach you by phone to discuss your concerns.

With regards to your coverage, the Diamond Titanium plan you purchased includes the optional Market Labor Rate option automatically.This means the administrator will pay the shop's posted labor rate on repairs.

We are reviewing the contract wording to see if this can be improved but what the contract is stating is the labor rate description in section 13 does NOT apply when you add the optional market labor rate option.

We would like to discuss the additional expenses above your deductible with you to determine how we can help. Please give us a call at (877)227-2439 Ext 6002.

Best,

CARCHEX Customer Service

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX ?

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

The review is not indicative of how I feel about the warranty service Carchex provides, rather it will address my on-boarding process. My rep is Dan. Dan didn’t sell me the warranty, but he illuminated the value of the warranty. I believe his thorough when explaining the warranty; his patience when answering questions; especially his honest when addressing difficult (i.e. negative reviews) topics. I am in my Waiting Period; so I may be able to attest to the value of the warranty should I need to use it. Thus, all I can do now is hope Dan/Carchex will come through for me in my time of need. Here’s to the power of “Optimism”!!!

Rah,

Thank you for leaving your feedback with us! We appreciate your review, and are happy to hear you enjoyed speaking with Dan! Please let us know if you have any additional questions regarding your plan.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

This has been a joke for every claim. My CARCHEX rep tells me it's covered but Royal Admin where you have to run the claim though has denied several different claims already. Working on one now that they had me submit a new claim for something I already had a claim on? Claim **. They seem to just be trying to run me in circles to tire me out and my preferred mechanic already said they are going to get themselves removed from this Carchex preferred mechanics list as they have never had so many problems with a warranty company before. I have been going at this for months. About ready to throw in the towel and say screw it, cancel this warranty. It is not worth my sanity.

CARCHEX response

Thank you for speaking with us about your claims experience. We are truly sorry for the claims experience with your contract administrator. As we discussed, anytime there are any issues with the claims process or administrator, our CARCHEX Customer Service team is here to help. We can be reached via phone Monday - Friday from 9:00 am - 6:00 pm ET.

Please send us your repair invoices and rental invoice for your (2) approved claims so we can help resolve your concerns related to diagnostics, Sales tax, and rental reimbursement. We are happy to help resolve this matter and earn your business.

Best,

CARCHEX Customer Service Team

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

They were very courteous and kind and explain explicitly in detail about my policy. I would definitely recommend this company to any of my friends. Each time I called with my concerns they were quickly answered and put my mind at rest.

Delores,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you are pleased with your coverage! If there is anything we can do to further assist you, please feel free to reach out at any time.

CARCHEX Customer Service

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I was not happy with a decision that I made concerning an extended service contract. I spoke with Drew and he got my cancellation process started. I am hoping that this will be a painless process? I will update how this cancellation process was handled after its completion!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I have a 2014 RAM 2500, 6.4L, 4x4, Auto Transmission, V8 (105k miles) with all dealership maintenance records. The plan I received is decent (Deluxe Coverage through American Auto Shield, LLC). I reviewed my policy and it didn't include the Market Labor Rate and Emissions. So if I ever had any mechanical issues, I will have to pay an extra $40 an hour on labor rates. The plan only covers up to $100 and the dealer charges $140. On top of that, I am not interested in a $100 deductible (I prefer $50). On top of that, I put $500 down just to receive all the details (fully refundable). Decent plan for $3,560 (100K/5 yr) but just shy of a peace of mind. I have reviewed all the documents and will exercise the cancellation policy. Like I said, it was a decent policy but just short of what I was looking for. Thanks though.

CARCHEX Company Information