Call toll free
4.61/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

We're passionate about advocating to help consumers throughout the entire process of purchasing and maintaining a car. CARCHEX Vehicle Protection Specialists are committed to providing consumers with peace of mind by listening to the specific needs of each customer to find the highest level of coverage at the lowest possible price.

View More View More

2059 CARCHEX Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I spoke with a rep for CARCHEX about the best extended warranty for me and found the Diamond with add on LEP/Emissions/Market Labor Rate was best. Now 3 months later I had to use the policy to replace a part within the steering system and am finding its more difficult then I thought when making a claim. First, it seemed like once the vehicle arrived at the repair facility to the time a rep contacted me back was very quick and seemed at the time flawless, only to find out later how I felt I was getting nickel and dimed to death. This contact is very similar to others, what it covered, how it’s covered and so on, but after talking to the very friendly and kind rep it got a bit confusing. My issue is two fold over coverage description - Market labor rate add on and how it reads that section F 13 does not apply ($100.00 per hour) and based upon Repair Facility’s posted labor rate.

Reading F 13 says the maximum hourly rate is based on Repair Facility posted labor rates. These 2 contradicts each other, basically saying the same, so what do I pay extra for? I was told they use a Nationally recognized labor guides for repairs in my area. Why does it say they will pay Posted Labor Rates and not say based off a Nationally recognized labor guides for repair rates under Market Labor Rate Option, which I chose to pay for. The diagnostic check that was completed by the licensed mechanic servicing the vehicle is something required in repairing the vehicle. Now let’s be very clear, I am not a mechanic or have any education in auto mechanics, but who are we to question a certified mechanic on how he performs his job on running the diagnostic test and how long this required step takes.

It’s clearly written under F 4 - This contract will not cover flat rate charges for diagnosis, but I was informed that this diagnostic test was based off a time period and the repair facility gave an estimate of 1 hour to complete under the hourly rate. Again, this is a labor rate and my plan I pay for the Market labor rate option, another part of the contract that contradicts its self and told by the rep using the National guide for this procedure is 24 minutes to complete and not an hour the certified mechanic quoted. So now I’m not paying a posted labor rate, but now it’s a fee divided by 60 minutes and I will be responsible for the remaining 26 minutes, now that’s really some nickel and dime craziness.

The second part of this fold is how they shop for a part and if the repair facility does not accept it I am responsible for the difference. Yes, it’s spelled out clearly in the contract, but I’m not a certified mechanic or work or n auto parts, so I will have to learn the hard way on this. Just a note, I will be shopping for a repair facility that fits this contract now and not following the first part that I can choose my own. Learning curve is how I will chalk this repair up. I just am finding out now (since this is my first claim) is having an extended warranty worth the fee I am paying to haggle over these small issues that contradicts itself.

Since the coverage on this repair will still cost $300 (includes the $100 deductible) still worth continuing? I understand we do not pay for insurance with the hopes we will use it, but in the event it is needed. In essence this is basically an insurance policy on an older vehicle and I do not want to use it, but now that I have it just seems like haggling over the little stuff just might lose more customers than keeping them. I feel I did my homework on shopping for a warranty and still feel that this was the right one. I should have read a few more reviews and already found a repair facility that fits this plan instead of going to one and finding out how it really works.

Get expert buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I'm 61 years old and purchased a new vehicle for the first time in my life... not used, not borrowed, NEW! So of course I want the best protection. The extended warranty the dealership offered was ridiculously expensive so I shopped around for a better deal. CARCHEX was one of five rated the best five by the BBB. After comparing all five I chose CARCHEX because their coverage was superior compared to the other four. It may cost a couple hundred dollars more but it's well worth it in the long run.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I have CARCHEX extended warranty for my Mercedes Benz GL-450 for 3 years and I am renewing my coverage again. My first time having an extended warranty. My experience with this company was more than just satisfied due to the hassle-free repair events. Their way of selling (or soliciting) their warranty is an honest-to-goodness approach and pleasant to deal with. Among the five companies I dealt with, almost all of them stress you out to the negativities of the situation and charge an unreasonable amount that leads you to say: "I'll just buy a new car"; until they go Half Price for the same coverage. CARCHEX will not disappoint you. "HIGHLY RECOMMENDED"!!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I just purchased a 2015 Mercedes E 350 and thought it would be a good idea for extra coverage so I started shopping around. I called other companies, but 1 call to CARCHEX and I had to choose them. They not only met my expectations, they exceeded them by far.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I had an extended coverage with CARCHEX in 2014 when I had a Volkswagen Passat. I just renewed and got another one a couple of weeks ago. I had a positive buying experience and their customer service was satisfactory. The rep and I were on the phone for an hour trying to work things out and finding the right plan and payment. If the car breaks down and you want something affordable, the warranty won’t put you in the courthouse so, it is very valuable. I’m satisfied with the transactions and I would recommend them but I would make sure that they read the complete warranty so they understand what they’re getting.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CARCHEX ?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I was looking for additional insurance on parts for a BMW, I had contacted Endurance first, then went downhill from there. Ryan responded to my inquiry and he showed great customer service, which is why I contracted with CARCHEX. Awesome detail to help me get the coverage I needed for my 16 year old daughter's first car. She really wanted a BMW and with Ryan's help I was able to make that happen! Perfect! Thank you!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

My car looks very good for its age but I didn't want to take a chance. You can never tell when something will happen so I decided on getting an extended warranty. When I called CARCHEX, the lady who dealt with me didn’t put pressure on me. She explained the plan and told me everything as it is. She was very professional and courteous. I told her that I had to discuss with my wife then I would call back, and she said, “All right, okay.” It was the same thing I told other people. I was quoting along but there was one sales rep who was forcing their product on me. He was putting pressure on me and I didn't like that. As a sales rep, he was not supposed to do that. Any time that someone forces something on you, something's not right. So I decided to go with CARCHEX. I didn’t like all the rest of the companies.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I purchased a vehicle and the dealership was trying to get me to buy their policy. However, I wanted to do my own research so I searched the internet of places that offer auto warranties and CARCHEX was at the top of the list. Their rep was great. He let me know what I needed to know and he didn’t push me. It took me quite a few days to get back to him on things because it was a busy time but he was really understanding. CARCHEX gives me peace of mind that if anything happens, I only have to pay my deductible. So, I ended up only buying the policy for our car that’s older that has 79,000 miles on it because we don’t have one on that car and that was more urgent because it’s older and stuff is gonna start happening to it. In a year, I'd get one too for the new car.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

The manufacturer warranty of the used car that I purchased has expired so I needed an extended warranty. CARCHEX had very good reviews. I contacted them and they gave me very good customer service. At first, I thought their quote might be higher than my expectation. They had the manager and they gave me another quote and I was satisfied with it so I decided to purchase with them. Their process was quick and easy. CARCHEX is good and I would highly recommend them. I'd tell others to give them a call and try get a quote from them. They’re a bit up there with their quote but if they’re not satisfied with it, they still have a space for negotiation.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

If you had a big investment like a Mercedes, an Infiniti or a BMW, an extended insurance is really important. I have a Mercedes Benz and my warranty just ran out. I had Endurance but I was not happy with them so I shopped around and CARCHEX seemed to be the best warranty. The rep was very courteous and customer-oriented. I was very pleased. I wanted to have the big things covered so their rep offered me their Deluxe package.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

My Current CARCHEX policy will expire during October 2018. I reviewed several contracts from other companies and decided that the CARCHEX policy was the best coverage for the money. There was no pressure from the sales staff.

Ed,

Thank you for your review, and for choosing CARCHEX!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

CARCHEX used a contractor for the inspection and I relied on this report. The inspector did not drive the vehicle (for insurance reasons) and did not allow direct contact for questions. The inspector did not do a cursory check under the hood for correct fluid levels which would have revealed a bad heater core and inoperable washer. Also missed an oil soaked air cleaner caused by a bad cylinder. Other items missed include burnt marker light, inoperable dash lighting, inoperable horn, heater test, excess play in shifter and more. Owen refunded my account but my decision has cost me $5,000 for new engine and repairs.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I let my daughter drive the car so I need a coverage on it. A CARCHEX representative called me up and asked about an extended coverage. I heard a lot about CARCHEX so I purchased and there wasn't one bit of a problem. It was a really good purchase ‘cause my daughters don’t live by me. CARCHEX is good and so far, I’m happy.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

There was no warranty on my car and I wanted to be secured so that if anything gets wrong with the car in the future, I can get it fixed. I am a college student who doesn't want any unexpected charges coming up. I might as well pay monthly little by little and have my car covered. The rep was fine and he told me everything about how to file a claim. He was a bit more like rushing me into buying the policy but that was their job. CARCHEX gave me a better coverage for the car and we scheduled the payment to go on Sunday. However, we were declined two times, and a day or two later, CARCHEX was supposed to call me and tell me that it was declined. I called them back to charge on Wednesday, but they didn't charge it and on Friday, I didn't know whether they charged me the payment. These guys just took it out without telling us. I have all these other expenses paid out, so that was a little bit frustrating.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

When we were looking for a bumper-to-bumper coverage for the used Ram 2015 pick-up we just bought, most of the warranty was running out so we looked around and CARFAX recommended CARCHEX. They answered the phone right away when we were looking for the product. However, there were too many exclusions and now that I wanna cancel it, CARCHEX doesn’t answer the phone and return calls. I called two times yesterday and I didn’t get an answer, and then, I had to leave a message and they were supposed to get back to me but they haven’t. We decided to go with Mopar through Chrysler since they cover everything.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I was looking for something that covered major components but when I called CARCHEX, they provided me an outrageous price. I told them I wouldn't spend more than $2,500 and they came down to $2,000. They made it work and my interaction with their rep was very good. Having the warranty is a good peace of mind.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I had 20,000 miles on my car and it was out of warranty. We planned on keeping it, so we needed more coverage. And because of CARCHEX's reputation, we got one from them. Buying the plan was easy and we had a very good experience.

Mark,

Thank you for leaving your review with us! We are happy to have you as a customer.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I spent a lot of money on a used '08 BMW 335i and I wanted to make sure that it was gonna last me for a while. I was looking to get as much coverage as I possibly could without breaking the bank. I did a little bit of research and CARCHEX was voted the top one so I decided to go with them. I sent an email asking for a quote and the guy called me up the next day and asked if I was still interested. Buying the warranty was extremely easy and I was happy with the number that he gave me and so he went ahead and ran my card.

The warranty is extremely valuable because there wasn't an extended warranty offered by the dealership that was worth what they were asking me to pay. The one I got from CARCHEX was five years and it covered pretty much all of the things I was worried about that could possibly fail on my vehicle. Also, the warranty was at a terrific price. The rep also explained everything in great detail and told me exactly what the plan was going to and wouldn't cover. He was very polite and he understood what I was looking for and helped me out. I was extremely satisfied.

Sean,

Very glad to hear you enjoyed speaking with Sean, and he was able to assist in setting you up with coverage for your vehicle. Please feel free to reach out at any time should you have any additional questions regarding your plan.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I have an old car and I can’t afford to get it fixed, so I needed help. This is the second time I’ve been with CARCHEX and my experience with their reps have been great. I needed to talk to someone that could walk me through and talk me through and make sure I was getting what I needed. And they did. I chose them the first time and I extended what I already had. I had them for two years and I extended for another two.

I’m glad to have CARCHEX for the peace of mind. They are good to talk to and they can help you figure out what’s best for you that you can afford. However, the one time I had to use them, I realized that the policy is not that awesome. But the problem is not with CARCHEX per se but with the insurance company that they work with. CARCHEX is a good middleman selling the policy and I get the best of what I could get that I could afford from them. But it’s like with any other insurance company, they cover a certain thing but won’t cover up to what got you to that. When I took my car in one time to get something fixed, they would fix what the problem was, but because there was a problem on the inside of the problem, they wouldn’t fix that. So it still ended up costing me 500 bucks.

Susan,

Thank you for providing your feedback and for being a returning CARCHEX customer. Please call us directly should you have any additional questions or concerns regarding your Protection Plan. We appreciate your review!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

CARCHEX was very persistent with calling me, but I thought an extended coverage would be very helpful in the future if I would need assistance on my vehicle. Based on the year of my car, the agent explained to me the different coverage policies that they have. Then after the call, he sent me a copy of my coverage via email. My vehicle is a Lincoln Navigator and I wanted something that will also cover the luxury items like the seat, etc. But they’re not included and I have to purchase it in addition to the coverage. I wasn’t happy about that. But both of the agents that I talked to were very professional, nice, and personable. And if this warranty does what it says, it will be a great value.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

My car has got a lot of miles and I’m planning on keeping it for a while, so I looked into getting an extended warranty. CARCHEX has a plan that they will insure up to $15,000 worth of repairs where other shops don’t, so I went with them. And the people from CARCHEX that I spoke with were genuine. They knew what they were talking about and I could tell that they did, especially with me being in the car business years ago. They helped me pick a policy and I got the Platinum plan, which is the highest you can go. Their purchasing process was overall great. It is very important to have an extended warranty and I would tell others to get CARCHEX over anybody else.

Judson,

Very glad to hear we could assist with your vehicle protection needs. Thank you for providing your review for us!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

My vehicle was a 2014 and the guy where I bought it from told me that I still have a manufactured warranty, but I wanted to be on the safe side, so I acquired an extended warranty with CARCHEX. You never know when the manufacturer warranty is gonna run out, so it is very valuable to have a warranty on a vehicle. CARCHEX was cheaper than a couple of other companies I called up and my experience when purchasing the plan was pleasant. The young lady and the gentleman were very nice. The specialist was very helpful as well. I didn't have my registration with me, so we did a three-way party with Liberty Mutual. I got everything through Liberty Mutual and he was on the line with me.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

When I bought the vehicle, I knew it was getting ready to go out of warranty. I have purchased extended warranties in the past, but after doing some research online, I realized that CARCHEX got a 10 out of 10 on Consumer Reports and noted as the best, so I went with them. I took the top three companies and looked at the pricing. CARCHEX was perfect and exactly what I was looking for. They were very helpful and they gave me exactly what I was looking for. The interaction with the protection specialist was awesome. He knew the product and he explained it very well. He was top-notch. I told him the baseline of what I was looking for and he found the type of service that fit my need.

The vehicle I own has a lot of luxury items to it, so I wanted a bumper-to-bumper plan and a major service such as transmission or air conditioning or something of that nature wouldn’t fit my need. It took me about three minutes to fill out the forms. The payment period was also top-notch. Everything was exactly what I would expect something to be. It’s going to be very valuable to have the protection plan on this particular vehicle. It is a 2012 BMW Gran Turismo and BMW is proprietary. No one can do anything about it but a BMW company. If anything goes wrong, you're gonna pay a price.

Mark,

Very glad to hear your Protection Specialist was able to assist you! thank you for providing us with your feedback!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I just bought a 2015 Genesis and the dealership offered me an extended warranty, which I thought was too expensive. However, I needed an extended warranty because of all the electronics. I spent a few hours on the internet and I came across an article that listed CARCHEX as the number 1 extended warranty company. The purchase for my plan went very smoothly and I was very pleased. The representative I dealt with was very helpful and patient with me. An extended warranty is like a life insurance. You never wish to have to use it, but it's good to have. I'm at a comfort level having CARCHEX and I would recommend them.

William,

we appreciate your review! Thank you for choosing CARCHEX!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

With how expensive vehicles are now, having a protection plan is very valuable. There is a lot of electronics in them and just having to do a simple repair may cost thousands of dollars. So, we looked into getting some insurance. After doing the preliminary checking for providers on the internet, it seemed that CARCHEX was a fairly decent company. We dealt with Jordan on our purchase and he did a nice job. He seemed to know the product and he answered all my questions. He was very pleasant, too. We had a very good experience and, as a whole, the process was very easy. People should check into CARCHEX too and see if it would meet their needs as it worked for me.

Ivan,

Thank you for leaving your feedback with us! We appreciate your review, and are happy to hear you enjoyed speaking with Jordan! Please let us know if you have any additional questions regarding your plan.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I bought a new used vehicle, so I needed an extended coverage. CARCHEX was a little bit more detailed in giving me information. I had been out of town for quite a while, so it made the process a little longer, but the gentleman kept making sure he stayed in contact with me to find out when I would be able to sit down and go over it with him. Overall, the process was fairly easy.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

The rep. was very helpful and was able to give me the coverage that I needed. THANK YOU BEN. It took some time but he was able to cover the vehicles that needed to make me happy with all I needed. Thank You again keep up the good work.

Jeffrey,

Glad to hear Ben could assist you! Thank you for leaving your review with us!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I've always had an extended warranty on my car and when I was helping Lea get a car, I told her to always get a warranty. Although I have mixed feelings about it, I started a CARCHEX policy for Lea because I couldn’t get MaxCare. Her coverage is only for the powertrain. It covers transmission, motor, and water pump. She has over 200,00 miles and that was all she could use.

I have mixed feeling about CARCHEX. They'd tell you what they would do, but then they don’t end up doing everything that they said. My grandmother pays over $200 a month for CARCHEX. She didn’t get the top level of coverage because she has over 100,000 miles but the car is up under the coverage. There’s a gas leak, but they said it has not failed all the way and turned her down for repair. She’s looking for another company right now. The rep that helped us sign up was thorough about what we asked. She told us what we can get and what we can’t. But I think she should have gone through and named everything that was not covered. Not just in general, but actually point out some of the things. No one I asked about the policy with has said that the thing has to go completely faulty before they’d repair it.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I had Chrysler reach out to me about getting an extended coverage for my 2017 Dodge Charger. It was a pretty good idea but the amount of money they wanted made me forget their offer. So, I called around and got online, then CARCHEX popped up. I wanted to have a limited bumper-to-bumper coverage because I know how that works. I was in the car business for 15 years. The representative I worked with was awesome and answered all my questions. He was great and I didn’t have a single issue with him. He presented one type of policy and that was the one I wanted. I was very impressed with him. All in all, I had a very good experience and I would recommend them.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

CARCHEX was right on top of everything when I was purchasing the warranty. They called me back and wanted to help me out. But the protection specialist was a hustler. He tried to sell me a protection that I thought I needed. I have cancelled with CARCHEX and went with somebody else. CARCHEX wanted twice as much for the same coverage from another company. I’ve checked the Better Business Bureau and CARCHEX was supposed to be okay. But I kept looking into all these coverages and I found the parent company of CARCHEX, and they offered the same coverage for half the money.

Also, the coverage with CARCHEX wasn't working so I'd rather just go ahead and pay for the cars to get fixed. The initial sign up process was easy enough but it got super hard when I tried to cancel. When I cancelled, they asked for a policy and a contract number which I didn't have. Also, they wanted me to write them a letter to get my money back. So what I did was I called my credit card company and I knocked CARCHEX off that way. I even carbon-copied the letter that I sent them and also sent one to my attorney because I felt like this is going to be a problem. I would recommend CARCHEX to someone else I didn't care for.

CARCHEX response

Thank you for your review. We apologize for any miscommunication regarding your request to cancel on Saturday 9/1/2018. Our Customer Service Team was closed when you called and unable to assist you with your request.

According to our records, we returned your call on Tuesday 9/4/2018, after the holiday weekend, to assist you with your request. At this time, we are awaiting your written request to cancel your coverage.

Please be aware that CARCHEX does not have a parent company as you described. In addition, we offered to review the coverage on your behalf to ensure you were comparing the same coverage.

CARCHEX provides Vehicle Service Contracts with multiple administrators to ensure we are offering the best coverage available in the industry. If there is anything we can do to assist you with proper coverage on your vehicle, please let us know.

Per your request, we are submitting an Internal Cancellation form on your behalf. Since you have requested a charge back on your payment, we will await your bank's request to refund your payment.

Best,

CARCHEX Customer Service Team

CARCHEX expert review by Lauren Fix

Offers multiple customizable tiers of extended auto coverage. All packages include 24/7 roadside assistance, towing and rental car reimbursement. Warranties are transferable or refundable.

• Claims payments: CARCHEX covered claims are paid directly to the repair facility. Most customers find this convenient because they don’t have to wait for reimbursement.

• Options: CARCHEX is not a direct provider. Instead, they act as a broker to get consumers the lowest price on an extended warranty.

• Roadside assistance: All CARCHEX plans include roadside assistance to help customers 24/7. Plans also have Trip Interruption Service to help those whose cars break down while they’re traveling.

• 30-day guarantee: Customers have 30 days to evaluate the CARCHEX’s service. Those who are unsatisfied can request a full refund for a month after their purchase.

• Informational articles: CARCHEX encourages consumers to do research before making an extended auto warranty purchase. The company’s website has an extensive section of informational articles to help consumers understand their options.

• Best for: busy families, high-mileage drivers, new car owners and used car owners.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

CARCHEX Company Information