Compare Reviews for Jewelry Stores
Though they specialize in selling jewelry made from precious stones and metals, jewelers are a varied group of vendors. They can be artisans who make pieces by hand, or they may stock their inventories with products made from larger companies.
Jewelry stores also offer services such as jewelry repair, and they can also sell items from estate sales. Consumers often have the choice to do business with privately-owned, local jewelry stores or national brands.
Top 10 Best Rated Jewelry Stores
|Read 102 Reviews|
ItsHot.com is a New York City-based jewelry manufacturer and retailer. They specialize in diamond jewelry, and all their diamonds are inspected by a GIA-certified professional. Their diamonds are mined in Israel, Canada and India.
|Read 525 Reviews|
Stauer Jewelry doesn't stop at diamond rings. Customers can also choose from luxury watches, handbags, sunglasses and even die-cast models. A no-questions-asked, 30-day guarantee lets you shop with confidence. Find out more
|Read 9 Reviews|
Cartier is synonymous with luxury in the jewelry industry, and with good reason. The company specializes in exquisite engagement rings with the best quality stones, including the company's most iconic ring: the Solitaire 1895.
|Read 990 Reviews|
Founded in 1971, lia sophia is a seller of high-quality women’s jewelry. Until 2014 lia sophia jewelry was sold only by independent sales representatives. Now, their line is available for purchase through their online store.
|Read 9 Reviews|
Blue Nile makes it easy for customers to design their own jewelry, including earrings, pendants and engagement rings. Start your design with a certain stone or setting, or choose from a well-stocked inventory of pre-made pieces.
|Read 13 Reviews|
Not just a jewelry company, Swarovski brings the glitz, glamour and opulence to products ranging from classic watches to Hello Kitty figurines. When you're looking for high-end costume jewelry, Swarovski delivers.
|Read 33 Reviews|
Home of the Leo diamond and Neil Lane designs, Jared The Galleria of Jewelry offers a variety of options, from promise and engagement rings to tennis bracelets. Custom pieces of jewelry are another popular option.
|Read 277 Reviews|
Friedman’s Jewelers is a jewelry store located in Augusta, Georgia. The company was founded in 1924 and has recently gone through a re-launch that has narrowed their focus to estate jewelry, along with new jewelry.
|Read 54 Reviews|
Few names match the brand recognition Tiffany & Co. has built up over the years. Today's customers can get the same timeless style the company has been famous for since 1837, complete with their signature blue box.
|Read 468 Reviews|
Kay Jewelers is known for high-quality jewelry that's also affordable. While the company specializes in wedding and engagement sets, its stores and website offer a full range of jewelry items at price points to fit every budget.
The ConsumerAffairs Research Team believes everyone deserves to make smart decisions. We aim to provide readers with the most up-to-date information available about today's consumer products and services.
What features matter most?
Jewelers sell a wide range of products made from a variety of materials.
- Watches: Some jewelers sell watches and other timepieces in addition to traditional jewelry. The watches sold by jewelers differ from those sold in traditional stores; they are usually made of precious metals like silver, gold and white gold. The watches often contain stones like diamonds to make them pieces of beauty and high value.
- Diamond companies: Some jewelers focus on selling jewelry that features diamonds, and they often specialize in selling engagement rings to couples planning marriage. Buyers looking for a diamond engagement ring should choose a diamond company, since they often have a large variety of stones in different sizes and colors to suit different tastes.
- Ceramic or beaded jewelry: There are some jewelry companies that do not sell metallic or stone based jewelry, but instead, offer ceramic and beaded pieces that are often crafted by hand. These pieces can often have more intricate look, but a more casual aesthetic than finer jewelry.
Jewelers can offer customers a range of extra services in addition to selling pieces of jewelry or doing simple repairs.
- Appraisal: Some jewelers stores have the ability to analyze a piece of jewelry a customer already has, then tell them the worth of that piece; many of these companies will purchase jewelry from customers or accept it as a trade-in for a new purchase.
- Jewelry refurbishment: Jewelers that specialize in jewelry refurbishment specialize in refurbish old, antique, and vintage pieces of jewelry; beyond simply fixing jewelry that is broken, these companies can take pieces that have been weathered over many years and restore them to as if they were new. This refurbishment often takes a very skilled craftsman.
- Customization services: Jewelers may offer consumers customization services. To customize jewelry, customers can do a range of things like getting the jewelry engraved with a monogram, designing a unique combination of stone and metals or resizing a piece so it becomes a much larger or smaller piece than it once was. For example, making a necklace that is too small for a customer into a new and unique bracelet.
Warranties and protection
Jewelry companies often offer customers warranties to protect the goods they purchase. There are many types of warranties that cover products for certain periods of time. They also offer policies to help customers protect their investment.
- Lifetime warranties: Jewelry companies that offer lifetime warranties will guarantee the jewelry for its life. This means that if it breaks, tarnishes or becomes damaged, the company will replace or repair it at no cost to the customer.
- Jewelry insurance: Some companies offer customers insurance policies along with the jewelry; thus, if something happens to the piece they purchase, the policy will reimburse them for some of the cost.
- Limited time guarantees: Most jewelers offer a guarantee of some kind for new pieces of jewelry, which means that customers have a certain amount of time during which a jeweler will replace or restore broken or tarnished jewelry. Sellers of used jewelry rarely offer warranties.
Jewelry companies often have a variety of staff onboard, and the companies do not just consist of people who sell jewelry.
- Artisans and engravers: The artisans and engravers at a jewelry company are the skilled workers who can alter a piece of jewelry; these people add monograms, make repairs, and customize products for customers.
- Gem experts: Many companies have skilled gemologists onboard who have studied the history and science of gems, and these experts can tell customers about the worth of pieces, their makeup, as well as a how to maintain and care for them so they last through the years.
- Customer service team: Jewelry is a large investment; so many jewelry companies have a dedicated customer service team on staff. This team helps manage payments and transactions for customers, and they can also field questions and concerns they have; these dedicated staff are also skilled at fielding inquiries from unsatisfied customers, as well as those who want to use their warranty or return a piece.
Jewelers can hold a number of certifications that prove their level of skill, dependability and service.
- Bench professional certification: Bench professional certifications declare that a professional is qualified to both sell and repair jewelry, and there are several levels of bench professional certification that indicate the level of skill a jeweler has. Customers can often bring jewelry purchased somewhere else to a bench jeweler, who will repair the jewelry for a fee.
- GIA certification: The Gemological Institute of America, or GIA, certifies the diamonds that jewelers sell, and they are considered to have the strictest of grading standards when it comes to certifying the quality of diamonds and diamond jewelry.
- Jewelry degrees: There are many academic degrees that jewelers can obtain, including a B.A. in jewelry design, an associate degree in jewelry design and a certificate in jewelry.
Jewelry stores can get the products they sell from a range of different sources.
- Artisan jewelers: Artisan jewelers hand-make each piece of jewelry individually and sell only the jewelry they make in their stores. This means that each piece that is sold is unique and one of a kind. Artisan jewelers often also make jewelry out of unique materials, like beads, non-precious metals, freshwater pearls, seashells and more.
- Estate jewelers: Some jewelers collect jewelry from estate sales and resell the jewelry to customers. In some cases, families of people who have deceased will call in jewelers to appraise and purchase jewelry from the estate, and the jeweler will then take the jewelry he has purchased and resell it for profit, often after restoring and cleaning it, at a jewelry store.
- Popular jewelry designers: There are many large, popular makers of jewelry throughout the world, and some jewelers sell a curated collection of jewelry pieces from other designers and manufacturers, like Stuller, Inc., David Yurman, or I. Reiss.
What are different types of jewelers?
Handmade jewelry artisans
Handmade jewelry artisans specialize in creating unique pieces of jewelry by hand. These artisans sell jewelry that is not available in any retail store or online shop but their own. For one-of-a-kind jewelry that buyers won't see worn by anyone else, choose to shop at an artisan jeweler.
Large jewelry store chains
Some jewelers work at large chains of jewelry stores. These large jewelry chains have retail outposts in many locations across the country.
Specialized jewelers focus on one product or material, such as diamonds, gold or engagement rings. This means that they offer a greater selection of one type of jewelry, and they often have specialized knowledge about how to maintain, clean, care for and customize that one type.
Bench jewelers are jewelers who specialize both in selling pieces of jewelry, as well as working to restore and repair tarnished or broken jewelry.
Who's it for?
Couples getting engaged
Couples getting engaged may turn to a jewelry store for an engagement ring. They often shop for gold rings for a wedding or diamond rings to celebrate an engagement.
People looking to restore antique jewelry
People who want to restore antique jewelry may turn to a jeweler to make an old piece look like new. Jewelers who do repair and restoration can help return an antique piece of jewelry close to its original state.
Customers looking to buy a luxury gift
Jewelry is a popular gift for a special occasion, particularly romantic occasions like anniversaries or Valentine's Day, and momentous events like graduation. Jewelers can help provide luxury gift items that are valuable and high-quality enough to mark a very special occurrence.
Religious consumers celebrating milestones
Many people who are religious use jewelry as a gift or memento to mark a religious occasion like a Christening, Baptism, Bat Mitzvah or Confirmation.
Stauer Jewelry is a company that sells a range of accessories and luxury items to customers online, and they are known for selling jewelry and accessories at affordable prices. The company is headquartered in Burnsville, Minnesota, and it offers a range of products, including traditional jewelry and watches for women, as well as a slew of accessories geared toward men.
- Watch selection: In addition to selling traditional jewelry pieces, Stauer Jewelry has a large selection of watches for customers to choose from.
- Value options: The company offers upscale jewelry, but it also has a selection of fine jewelry pieces under 100 dollars for both men and women, making it a good choice for customers on a budget.
- Unique items: Stauer Jewelry stands out because it not only has jewelry in traditional gems and metals, like silver and gold, but it also features unique jewelry options, such as pieces made of Murano glass.
- No questions asked: Every product purchased from Stauer Jewelry comes with a 30-day, money-back guarantee so customers can return products without any questions asked.
- Platinum membership plan: Stauer offers customers a platinum membership plan. For an annual membership fee, they get 10 percent off every order and 100 dollars in discounts.
- Best for: Customers looking to buy a luxury gift and religious consumers celebrating milestones.
Kay is a jewelry company owned by Signet Jewelers that was founded in 1916, and the company is headquartered in Fairlawn, Ohio. It is one of America's biggest jewelry store chains with retail stores located in large shopping malls, and it also offers customers online shopping for a range of jewelry products.
Founded in 1924 in Wichita Falls, Texas, Zales is a jewelry company that sells its products in more than 750 stores across the United States and Puerto Rico. Customers can shop for jewelry from Zales at retail outlets and online.
Blue Nile is an online-only jewelry company that has been in business since 1999. The company is headquartered in Seattle, Washington and offers customers a huge selection of products containing diamonds; customers can search the company's inventory of diamond by carat weight, clarity, color, and more.
Jared The Galleria of Fine Jewelry is a jewelry company founded in 1993 that is now also owned by Signet Jewelers. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, the company has retail jewelry stores across the nation. They are considered to be Signet's "off-mall" store, which means that Jared the Galleria of Jewelry stores are located in smaller shopping malls and shopping centers.
Fred Meyer Jewelers is a jewelry company founded in 1973 by jeweler Fred G. Meyer as a jewelry catalog-showroom company. The company, which operates retail locations in malls and larger department stores in California, the Midwest, and much of the Northeastern U.S., offers a wide range of jewelry products. The company operates under both of the names Fred Meyer Jewelers and Littman Jewelers.
Headquartered in New York, Tiffany & Co. is a company that sells luxury jewelry, fragrances, accessories, watches and leather goods. While known for outstanding products, Tiffany is particularly well-known for offering stunning and high-quality diamond jewelry.
Swarovski is an upscale jewelry brand that was founded in 1895 in Austria. The company is best known for offering customers high-quality crystal products, including crystal jewelry, chandeliers and their world-famous figurines. They use crystal which has been created to allow light to refract in a rainbow spectrum.
Often considered one of the most luxurious jewelry brands in the world, Cartier Jewelers is headquartered in Paris, France. The company is known for a wide range of jewelry products, but it is especially renowned for its selection of watches.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.