4.0/5 (167 ratings)

About Blue Nile

Blue Nile Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Nile?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Nile?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

At first the purchase was great. Very nice staff at the King of Prussia store, very nice ring. I was worried that it was too large (my fiancee kept on going back & forth about what size she was) but I was assured that Blue Nile will resize once for free, even if past the 30-day return window. I proposed, she said yes, it was too large. We were told we could stop by the store to send it in for a free resize, which we did.

I received an email stating my ring was not re-sizeable and I would have to purchase a new setting (they offered to give me $200 off of a $2,000 setting), because I was outside the 30-day return window. Not even close to what I was originally told in person and via email ("Downsizing/re-sizing for your ring is no problem and is free."). After many emails, calls, arguments proving my case, Blue Nile finally agreed to provide me with a new setting free of charge. It has now been > 6 weeks without our ring. They notoriously give you a ship date, then back up the ship date (they have done it 4x so far). Go elsewhere for your engagement ring.

Original review: May 12, 2022

I ordered a ring two months ago and was given a delivery date. The day of the delivery it was postponed a month due to quality assurance concerns. I let it pass. It's covid. Things happen. Two days before the delivery date I reached out to their support team and asked for a status update. They said everything was scheduled on time. Day of delivery - I reach out again and they said it should be there tomorrow. Tomorrow comes and I get an update that it will be moved out another month.

Don't trust this company to do the right thing. Don't rely on them to ship things on time or tell you when it will actually be delivered. If you want a ring on time use one of their competitors or whomever they are sourcing the rings from to begin with and cut out the middle-person. The service people were very friendly during the process. You can tell that their bosses are making all of the money per usual and that their hands are tied. Go buy somewhere else so that they have more competition and can learn how to run a business.

Get buying tips about Jewelry Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

Awaiting to see how Blue Nile will handle my latest return of my eternity band... Purchased in 2009 - replaced once - returned for lost stones at least every other year..... Stay tuned. Not a happy consumer..

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

They were good in the past. But now they are just another online scammer. Two incidents one after another. Paid for a product, next day they said, "Oh we are out of that diamond." Why would you let me add it to the cart and pay for it if it's out of stock? The answer they gave me was, "We source from different vendors." Okay, Blue Nile is a middleman now, that was news to me. After the first purchase went sideways after a few weeks I tried again. Delivery scheduled after 2 weeks. Multiple notifications in between, "We have the diamond, on its way, exciting news it's scheduled.." Then nothing till 10 days after the delivery date. "Sorry for the inconvenience." They held my money for almost a month. Middleman needs cash flow but why hold the customer as collateral?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

I bought a beautiful diamond bracelet for my wife and on day one it showed up with a loose clasp. No big deal. It still worked and was fine. But recently one of the links broke. When I contacted customer service they approved the request but was very clear I'd be responsible to pay for certain damaged. A yellow flag already. This is a clear defect so no worries there. But they require the customer to pay to ship the item back. So the "lifetime" warranty has some catches. So I proceed to get the label and it says it costs $50 to ship back. That is pretty pricey. So I informed them I'd have a local jeweler look at it as I'd hate to pay $50 to ship the bracelet in for a $10 repair.

They immediately told me if I did this it 100% voids the warranty. This is totally shady. Kay for example actually gave my wife's engagement ring their lifetime warranty because it was soldered to the wedding band I bought from Kay. A few diamonds fell out not long ago and Kay replaced them. No questions asked. The moral here is that if you want quality you can count on and want a true warranty DO NOT buy from Blue Nile. Stick to your local jeweler or the true national brands that actually care about their customers. All of this over a $50 shipping label. Again avoid.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

They could not repair a ring they sold me. They would not allow me to trade it in for another one. They would however “buy the materials back from me”. And then sell me the ring again. So they can sell two for the price of one? I’m done with Blue Nile.

Original review: July 30, 2021

I've been a customer ever since I found these guys about 10 years ago. Their jewelry is excellent and a very good value. My wife loves everything I've ever ordered from them and I've spent thousands with them. Customer service is impeccable and I'm just now returning the first thing I've ever bought from them to get larger diamonds. I love these guys!

Original review: June 10, 2021

"Buyer Beware." This is Comenity Capital Bank's repulsive act to nickel and dime good customers for others who cannot pay their bills on time during a world crisis. I purchased jewelry twice from Blue Nile over the past two years for a total of $7,020. Comenity Bank is the credit card company Blue Nile uses for credit purchases. Both purchases were paid off in full. However, every time I paid off the balance, the bank would charge me additional interest charges unbeknownst to me. A month or two would go by when I'm thinking the balance is paid and meanwhile, I have a interest balance for the amounts of $2, $4, etc that is accruing late fees of $27.00 monthly and more interest charges accruing on late fees.

I've never been late with my payments. I have impeccable credit which has now been ruined by this bank for interest fees charged on $4.65 which totaled $127 in late fees as of June. Those late fees charged were reported to the Credit Bureaus. My credit score decreased 69 points due to this. This is a atrocity by a bank to charge these amount of fees on a $4.65 interest charge when the customer has paid off their balance in full twice. Not to mention, the balances were paid during a pandemic. During a time such as this it is hard to build and maintain credit. I have been responsible with paying my bills on time for years. To now be penalized 69 points on my credit for "Pennies" owed on this account.

Original review: May 23, 2021

Be clear, you DO NOT get the trade in value of the purchased value of your diamond as it was explained to me! You MUST DOUBLE the value of the diamond and then and only then can you trade it in or upgrade. Very disappointed.

Original review: May 14, 2021

Avoid this company at any cost, I placed a diamond pendant order for my Wife's birthday from Blue Nile, next day I received an email email stating that the diamond I ordered is not available & provide an alternative which I selected. Later they charged me extra for my alternative diamond. They wasted my time and money because of their bogus process. I would never ever buy from them.

Blue Nile author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Blue Nile is an online-only jewelry company that has been in business since 1999. The company is headquartered in Seattle, Washington and offers customers a huge selection of products containing diamonds; customers can search the company's inventory of diamond by carat weight, clarity, color, and more.

• Certified diamonds: The diamonds that Blue Nile sells to customers are all certified so customers can be sure they are of high quality and from a legitimate source.

• No commission sales: Blue Nile salespeople do not work on commission, so customers can expect unbiased service, and they will not be pressured to make a purchase they are uncertain about.

• 30-day return policy: The company offers customers who order products a 30-day period to return any piece they are unhappy with.

• Jewelry education: Blue Nile's website has an education section about jewelry and how to pick pieces to wear and give as gifts, so it's a helpful resource for customers looking for more information before they shop.

• Free shipping: Customers who order jewelry from Blue Nile receive it through free, fast shipping.

Blue Nile Company Information