4.0/5 (157 ratings)

About Blue Nile

Blue Nile Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Nile?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Nile?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

Awaiting to see how Blue Nile will handle my latest return of my eternity band... Purchased in 2009 - replaced once - returned for lost stones at least every other year..... Stay tuned. Not a happy consumer..

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

They were good in the past. But now they are just another online scammer. Two incidents one after another. Paid for a product, next day they said, "Oh we are out of that diamond." Why would you let me add it to the cart and pay for it if it's out of stock? The answer they gave me was, "We source from different vendors." Okay, Blue Nile is a middleman now, that was news to me. After the first purchase went sideways after a few weeks I tried again. Delivery scheduled after 2 weeks. Multiple notifications in between, "We have the diamond, on its way, exciting news it's scheduled.." Then nothing till 10 days after the delivery date. "Sorry for the inconvenience." They held my money for almost a month. Middleman needs cash flow but why hold the customer as collateral?

Get buying tips about Jewelry Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

I bought a beautiful diamond bracelet for my wife and on day one it showed up with a loose clasp. No big deal. It still worked and was fine. But recently one of the links broke. When I contacted customer service they approved the request but was very clear I'd be responsible to pay for certain damaged. A yellow flag already. This is a clear defect so no worries there. But they require the customer to pay to ship the item back. So the "lifetime" warranty has some catches. So I proceed to get the label and it says it costs $50 to ship back. That is pretty pricey. So I informed them I'd have a local jeweler look at it as I'd hate to pay $50 to ship the bracelet in for a $10 repair.

They immediately told me if I did this it 100% voids the warranty. This is totally shady. Kay for example actually gave my wife's engagement ring their lifetime warranty because it was soldered to the wedding band I bought from Kay. A few diamonds fell out not long ago and Kay replaced them. No questions asked. The moral here is that if you want quality you can count on and want a true warranty DO NOT buy from Blue Nile. Stick to your local jeweler or the true national brands that actually care about their customers. All of this over a $50 shipping label. Again avoid.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

They could not repair a ring they sold me. They would not allow me to trade it in for another one. They would however “buy the materials back from me”. And then sell me the ring again. So they can sell two for the price of one? I’m done with Blue Nile.

Original review: July 30, 2021

I've been a customer ever since I found these guys about 10 years ago. Their jewelry is excellent and a very good value. My wife loves everything I've ever ordered from them and I've spent thousands with them. Customer service is impeccable and I'm just now returning the first thing I've ever bought from them to get larger diamonds. I love these guys!

Original review: June 10, 2021

"Buyer Beware." This is Comenity Capital Bank's repulsive act to nickel and dime good customers for others who cannot pay their bills on time during a world crisis. I purchased jewelry twice from Blue Nile over the past two years for a total of $7,020. Comenity Bank is the credit card company Blue Nile uses for credit purchases. Both purchases were paid off in full. However, every time I paid off the balance, the bank would charge me additional interest charges unbeknownst to me. A month or two would go by when I'm thinking the balance is paid and meanwhile, I have a interest balance for the amounts of $2, $4, etc that is accruing late fees of $27.00 monthly and more interest charges accruing on late fees.

I've never been late with my payments. I have impeccable credit which has now been ruined by this bank for interest fees charged on $4.65 which totaled $127 in late fees as of June. Those late fees charged were reported to the Credit Bureaus. My credit score decreased 69 points due to this. This is a atrocity by a bank to charge these amount of fees on a $4.65 interest charge when the customer has paid off their balance in full twice. Not to mention, the balances were paid during a pandemic. During a time such as this it is hard to build and maintain credit. I have been responsible with paying my bills on time for years. To now be penalized 69 points on my credit for "Pennies" owed on this account.

Original review: May 23, 2021

Be clear, you DO NOT get the trade in value of the purchased value of your diamond as it was explained to me! You MUST DOUBLE the value of the diamond and then and only then can you trade it in or upgrade. Very disappointed.

Original review: May 14, 2021

Avoid this company at any cost, I placed a diamond pendant order for my Wife's birthday from Blue Nile, next day I received an email email stating that the diamond I ordered is not available & provide an alternative which I selected. Later they charged me extra for my alternative diamond. They wasted my time and money because of their bogus process. I would never ever buy from them.

Original review: May 4, 2021

I'm warning everyone now, stay away from Blue Nile, I ordered diamonds from them for my wife. They were not the ones she wanted so I sent them back. I never received my money back. I'm warning you all do not buy from them.

Original review: March 16, 2021

My hubby and I ordered a sapphire and diamond half-eternity band for our 10 year anniversary. I wear a 6, but ordered a 6.5 because Blue Nile's sizer said so. I had read reviews that said to stick to their sizing, so I did. The price was good and my ring arrived 2 days later. It was absolutely beautiful. I was pleased with the craftsmanship and packaging. But, it was too big - I needed my normal 6. I did a chat with the customer service person, who told me that it would be 4 days after they received my ring and they would overnight a new ring in a size 6. Great. He took care of getting me the return label and ordering the new ring.

10 days later and I hadn't received a shipping confirmation for the new ring, even though the tracking said they had received it 5 days prior. Another chat with customer service (2 hours) and they said it would take 15 days. I asked why it would take so long and they would not answer me, no matter how many times I asked. It occurred to me that the only reason it would take so long is if they were resizing it, not sending me a new one. I asked the agent directly and he would not answer me.

Hubby calls Blue Nile the next day. After he pushes them, they tell him that they don't actually keep half sizes - in any ring - in stock, so when we ordered my ring originally, they just upsized a 6 and sent it to me. And I was correct that the exchange was taking so long because they were re-sizing it - back down to the 6! So now, my brand new ring, which I have never worn and which we paid $1800 for, has been tampered with twice, completely without my knowledge. Any time you change the size of a ring, you mess with the integrity of the metal and can make it weaker. An eternity band is even harder because, once shade smaller, the stones would be set further down your finger on each side, thus scratching up the sides of your fingers (which is precisely why I wanted a half band and not a full band to begin with!). So, there are a few issues I have with all of this:

1) Blue Nile does not disclose any of this information on the website. You are able to order half sizes as though they are in stock. But, they are just taking smaller or larger rings - whatever is available - and cutting them down or stretching the metal. If they don't have half sizes, they should list it as a custom sizing, so the purchaser is clear about what that means.

2) Obviously, they need to correct their sizing issues. A 6 is a 6 is a 6. If I wear a 6 everywhere else, I should be a 6 with them. But, their sizer fitted me at a 6.5. So, I trusted them. This whole issue could have been avoided.

3) The customer service person I talked when starting the exchange process should have been honest with me when I requested a new ring, that I would, in fact, be receiving the same ring, just re-sized.

4) The same customer service person should have told me that it would take 4-5 days for my ring to reach them, 4-5 days to appraise the item, and 15 days to have the item re-sized, before being overnighted back to me. He either flat-out lied to me, or didn't know, which caused a lot of hassle for me.

5) The second customer service person I talked to after my ring was sent back avoided me at every turn when I asked why it would take an additional 15 days to process. After all, if I received my original ring overnight, then surely, it wouldn't take 15 days (plus the 10 days I had already waited) to overnight a new ring. Even when confronted with the re-sizing scenario, he still wouldn't acknowledge it. And that's because he knew the practice would be unacceptable and was not permitted to disclose this information.

A friend suggested I just cancel the order entirely and reorder a new ring in my correct size. But, ultimately, I chose not to do that and we requested a refund. How would I know the ring they sent me hadn't already been tampered with? What if there had been some other issue that I would have to deal with? Blue Nile is not transparent about their inventory and sizing process on their website. They have customer service agents giving false information to placate customers or have them completely avoid answering direct questions that can get them in trouble. And most importantly, they were willing to sell me an $1800 ring whose integrity had already been compromised twice. The craftsmanship of my ring was lovely - truly beautiful. But, I can't do business with a company who has questionable ethics.

Blue Nile author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Blue Nile is an online-only jewelry company that has been in business since 1999. The company is headquartered in Seattle, Washington and offers customers a huge selection of products containing diamonds; customers can search the company's inventory of diamond by carat weight, clarity, color, and more.

• Certified diamonds: The diamonds that Blue Nile sells to customers are all certified so customers can be sure they are of high quality and from a legitimate source.

• No commission sales: Blue Nile salespeople do not work on commission, so customers can expect unbiased service, and they will not be pressured to make a purchase they are uncertain about.

• 30-day return policy: The company offers customers who order products a 30-day period to return any piece they are unhappy with.

• Jewelry education: Blue Nile's website has an education section about jewelry and how to pick pieces to wear and give as gifts, so it's a helpful resource for customers looking for more information before they shop.

• Free shipping: Customers who order jewelry from Blue Nile receive it through free, fast shipping.

Blue Nile Company Information