2.56/5
Based on 16 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: March 16, 2018

16 Blue Nile Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 16, 2018

Less than one year after purchasing diamond earrings from Blue Nile, I chose to participate in the upgrade program. After returning my earrings for the upgrade, the earrings were removed from their settings by BN and after that process, I was contacted by BN to inform me that one of my earrings was supposedly chipped and they would have to downgrade the quality of my earrings. The salesperson told me he would try and “help” me and then tried to up-sell me with another pair of earrings, I told him that I had not chipped the earrings, and that they had been chipped while in the possession of BN. He denied that, and continued to try and “help” me and sell me another pair of earrings. I asked to have my earrings returned. The customer service from this company is abysmal and I would discourage anyone from dealing with this company.

Original review: March 15, 2018

My poor rating is in the final sale practice and financing sleight of hand they seem to perform. Blue Nile Credit card holds special offers that encourage buyers including 12, 18 and 24 mo. no interest APR. Of course, presuming you pay in full by the end of your term. I should note they at the time of this review still offer the sale! I paid diligently every month and even made double payments to ensure I would pay my balance in time. And after completing my tax return, prepared to pay off the remaining balance at the 12-month mark, ahead of the 18 months special I was given.

The same month I paid my balance off, they charged me over $1500.00 in interest, upon placing a claim of the incorrect charge I was told to wait for a decision they sent by regular mail. Upon receiving the letter about 3 weeks later, I discovered not only will they not honor the agreement, they charge me again for interest for the extra month, despite assurances from the representative they would not and did not notify me by electronic mail or their own “Secure Message center” given them time to charge me yet again another $80.

After closer examination of the Blue Nile credit card rules by my wife and I, we discovered, by only offering me $5k on the Blue Nile credit card, they effectively changed my sale. The two rings which came to well over 7K does not count. It is only the charge on the Blue Nile credit card. At the time of my Purchase, I had to pay the remaining balance with my own credit card, which I promptly paid the next month. However, by asking us to split this cost, they were able to claim I did not reach the amount needed for the 18-month 0% APR and only gave me 12-months.

I was not informed of this change by the sales associate nor was I given any warning of the promotion ending. The website does not give this information, you must download the statements to receive the last month warning. What is the point of going paperless if they cannot give you all the information. They did not send a reminder on their “Secure message center”. Had I been given this information, I could have paid off the balance. As a comparison, My Amex online statements give each promotional ending date on the website and paper statements, so there is no confusion.

As a final insult to injury, my wife and I had changed our ring design because the original beautiful Zac Posen ring I picked did not have a matching wedding band so we choose a more traditional band. We did not notice it before, but after our wedding we realized the wedding band does not fit properly with the engagement ring leaving a space instead of coming together like other engagement rings and wedding bands. I regret choosing this company and should have paid for the ring in full at the time. I choose not to as by choosing the finance option gave me more leeway instead of straining me with such a large cash payment at the time. Now I have overpaid for no reason other than being a good customer aka: a sucker.

Get expert buying tips about Jewelry Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I have bought a engagement ring for my wife an year ago, They offered me 0% APR for one year and then I was told I will have interest for after that. I usually get notifications about the pay on my Blue Nile account asking me to pay the installment. I have paid accordingly and after a year of paying 80% of the money. They charged me another 50% as interest since it was in their terms and conditions that if I did not pay full amount before one year I will have to pay all the accrued interest from the beginning. This is unlike another banking I have been using so far.

These kinds of companies should change the policy or should not even exist. Most of customers are unaware of this clause and although they said they printed it on the statement with red color. Which I have not noticed until after 1 year. If these company were transparent they should rather give a pop message when you log into their account to pay the monthly installment. I have logged in their account numerous times and never noticed this until we open monthly statements.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I have made many of purchases from Blue Nile including my wife's engagement ring amongst other fine pieces of jewelry. There have been two occasions in which I needed customer support and both times it was awful. The first time when I tried calling, it was nearly impossible to get a hold of anyone. The second time around, most recently, I had a coupon that I had forgotten to apply at the checkout. Given my last customer service experience, I tried emailing Blue Nile. In return, I received an email back saying that it is best to call for customer support.

Following a call and multiple emails everyone has told me, "sorry, the coupon code does not work" without an explanation, even though I can try to purchase the same piece of jewelry and apply the code at the register and it gets applied to my order without any problem. It is not a large sum of money that I would be saving, but to me, it is the principle and the fact that everyone is dismissive of the issue and unwilling to help. I will be giving my business to other jewelers after the following experiences.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I had broken my engagement ring and needed to replace it. I had a budget of $35,000. I went to Blue Nile and found a princess cut stone that had an HD video of the actual diamond I would be buying. It looked amazing in the video. I also called Blue Nile and asked for expert help from a diamond expert. The diamond expert was very nice and said the stone I chose was outstanding and that I would love it! Since I had his support and since the HD video proved it was stunning, I paid nearly $25,000 for the ring and couldn't wait to receive it.

Well, it was awful! The band was so skinny and cheap. The diamond was gray and dull and ugly. It looked nothing like the HD video of it. It's been returned but before I sent it off, I bought a 2.01 carat round diamond solitaire set in a 6 prong platinum band from Costco for $17,999. It's literally so beautiful I can't stop looking at it. It is a smaller stone than the one from Blue Nile, but it cost $7000.00 less and again, is stunning!!

My advice: Shop where you can see the stone. Some places allow you to pick out the perfect ring and then you can see it at a local jeweler. It takes some time but those videos on websites are not accurate. They can't be. Also, two diamonds can have the exact same specs on paper and look completely different in person. Blue Nile has lost my business for good. I've attached a photo of both rings on my finger. You can see even with my cell phone camera, the round stone is beautiful and the square one from Blue Nile is dull and lifeless. I also attached a photo of the HD video of the stone from Blue Nile. I'm not sure if Consumer Affairs will add those photos but take a look if they do.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Nile?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I have been a long-time customer of Blue Nile, and made many purchases from them. I love the jewelry, the prices are fair, and the customer service is usually good. However, I have received several pairs of earrings from them via FedEx, and when I open them, the earrings are bouncing around inside the package. That is not okay! I have informed Blue Nile of this problem in the past, but they have not fixed it, so apparently shipping jewelry that could be damaged in transit is not a problem for them. I'm only "going public" with this complaint because Blue Nile has not seen fit to fix the problem based on previous private complaints. That feels very disrespectful to me. Honestly, why should I as a customer have to inform Blue Nile of this problem? They have been in the mail-order jewelry business for ages, and should have fixed this problem on their own, ages ago. Maybe public embarrassment will work where private complaints and requests have not.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I'm so unhappy right now. So I ordered a 2 carat engagement ring from Blue Nile Financing that offered a 60 month payment plan. Everything went through with flying colors. I received order number and delivery date via email. So I start making plans and locking in dates. Then I get a call from Blue Nile saying that I don't have enough money on my account and I'm like, "What. You guys approved me I have the order number..."

Original review: July 24, 2017

My fiance spent tens of thousands of dollars on a platinum diamond engagement ring. After wearing it for less than 11 months, the platinum prong broke off and the diamond fell out. When we sent it back to Blue Nile, they refused to accept responsibility. They said that the prong broke off because my wedding band (which I had been wearing for only five months) had rubbed the platinum prong until it came off! I do not understand how a platinum wedding band, breaks off a platinum prong in 5 months! They DID NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR MERCHANDISE and made us pay for the repair. I will NEVER purchase anything from Blue Nile and I will warn everyone to take their business elsewhere. They should have stood behind their merchandise!

Original review: May 1, 2017

Placed an order online on 29th April 2017 for a loose diamond online and paid by credit card - Mastercard. Blue Nile offered -€100 for paying via bank transfer. However when ordering a Diamond online that you had never seen before from an overseas supplier with no prior inspection, it makes perfect sense to pay with a credit card to ensure that you have some form a consumer protection if something goes wrong.

The order was supposed to ship on 2nd May in time for an important date on 6th May. Received an arrogant phone call from a representative called David on the 1st May to demand a bank transfer to fulfill the order or the order would be canceled. No reason given - they would not accept any of my credit cards. Checked with my banks regarding credit cards and everything is in order. Blue Nile wasted my time when I had an important date set for 6th May - finding alternative supplier i.e. James Allen. Don't waste your time with this company - they offer online card payments facilities that they are not willing to accept - clearly want the cash to avoid having to honor the credit card reassurance.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

Blue Nile has a great website and a storefront in Westchester. They make quality jewelry affordable and accessible. You can look at the jewelry online in the privacy of your home, then go and try on what you are interested in at the storefront. Salespeople are knowledgeable and helpful. To top it all off, they are offering discounts off their listed online prices. Doesn't get better than this. And what you order does not disappoint.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2016

They treated me well and let me try on several pieces of jewelry before I bought what I wanted. They were helpful and not too pushy. The price was very reasonable. They had a ton for me to choose from. Several different choices of gemstones and precious metals to choose from. It was a lot of fun trying on different styles. I tried on some rings, a necklace, looked at earrings to go with the necklaces. It was great. It was a little pricey, but I felt it was worth it. They offered an easy payment plan for my purchase. They promised no blood diamonds, which was great. I think that is why the price was a little more, but still fair for what I bought. It was great. Done very well. My jewelry will last for years and years. I will be able to pass it on to my daughters and maybe they will pass it on to their daughters. Keeping it in the family as an heirloom.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

They were very helpful when I was looking for a specific item. I was not sure where to find it and they assists me. I could not have made my purchase if it was not for the customer service rep. I was looking for a pair of diamond earring for my daughter's wedding. I wanted a hanging earring with a french back. The rep told me where to find them. They have a diamond shaped top for the french back and a diamond shape on the bottom. They were reasonably priced for the item. I had seen others similar but they were much too expensive for me. These were one hundred and fifty which was in my budget, but they look much more expensive. They are an excellent quality. The diamonds sparkle. They are in a silver setting which really makes them pop. I receive a lot of compliments whenever I wear them.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2016

I have found that the customer service at this site to be very helpful. I had questions about the pearl bracelets I wanted to purchase, and their expertise helped me to decide which pieces to select. They have a wide-range of gemstone and diamond presets, as well as pearl sets, diamonds, and styles. They specialize in diamonds and wedding diamonds, but you'll be able to find the piece of your choice outside of wedding occasion for which you want the jewelry. The price ranges from moderate to very expensive, as they sell couture pieces and one of kinds. This is not a discount shop. If you shop, there, prepare to spend. The quality is stupendous. I purchased a mere $95 pearl bracelet and the quality is extraordinary. There is no junk here. Diamonds are certified.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

The customer service is so top notch. They bring the heat and really do it the way it should be done. I found them very quite appealing! Would recommend them in a heartbeat! They had a very large selection of jewelry that would make any woman go crazy over. They are crazy talented at what they do! Good stuff! The price seems to be just about right for everything that they offer! Every item and piece is very reasonable and better that you could get elsewhere! They do a great job! The quality really is most definitely the most top notch that you could get! You won't be able to believe it! You will be telling all of your friends about this place. It is just that impressive!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2016

Everyone was very helpful and understanding of my needs and all worked hard to make sure that I was getting what I wanted for a fair and reasonable price. I was very surprised at the selection that the store had. It was all very nice and appealing merchandise to me. I am very glad that I chose this location. The prices at this location were very competitive compared to other locations, there was no shopping around to be done which made it very much easy for me. I was very surprised by the quality of the items at this location. All of the items looked well displayed and I could instantly tell that the quality of the items were good.

Original review: March 29, 2016

My husband purchased my Engagement Ring from Blue Nile in 12/15. It's absolutely flawless and their customer service was amazing. We are both very satisfied with Blue Nile and we will spread the word!

Blue Nile expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Blue Nile is an online-only jewelry company that has been in business since 1999. The company is headquartered in Seattle, Washington and offers customers a huge selection of products containing diamonds; customers can search the company's inventory of diamond by carat weight, clarity, color, and more.

• Certified diamonds: The diamonds that Blue Nile sells to customers are all certified so customers can be sure they are of high quality and from a legitimate source.

• No commission sales: Blue Nile salespeople do not work on commission, so customers can expect unbiased service, and they will not be pressured to make a purchase they are uncertain about.

• 30-day return policy: The company offers customers who order products a 30-day period to return any piece they are unhappy with.

• Jewelry education: Blue Nile's website has an education section about jewelry and how to pick pieces to wear and give as gifts, so it's a helpful resource for customers looking for more information before they shop.

• Free shipping: Customers who order jewelry from Blue Nile receive it through free, fast shipping.

• Best for: Couples getting engaged and customers looking to buy a luxury gift.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs