2. Shopping
  3. Jewelry Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.15/5

Find the right jewelry store for you

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Find the right jewelry store for you

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Blue Nile Reviews

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

I have been married for over twenty years to my lovely wife and best friend. I decided to buy her a new engagement ring and wedding band. I made the purchases and as stated the jewelry was received a day later. My wife loved both her new engagement ring and wedding band and I too was so surprisingly ecstatic with the look and sparkle of the two rings. Thank you Blue Nile for making my purchase effortless and for providing me with an unbelievable happiness for years to come. I will definitely be purchasing from you again.

Original review: June 20, 2019

I had read a lot of reviews and was skeptical about using them but I decided to buy my fiancée engagement ring from them. I viewed their engagement sets and picked the one with sapphires and diamonds down the side to accent the main diamond. After selecting the setting, I chose the diamond that fit my budget and would look great. After finalizing the purchase, I was given an estimated ship and delivery date. When the ship date arrived, I received an email with the tracking number for the over-night priority shipping. The package arrived as they stated and you would not know it was from a jeweler. The ring looks great and I would definitely use them again.

Get expert buying tips about Jewelry Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I had a very pleasant experience with BN. Ordered a ring to stack with my Cartier love ring. The first ring I ordered was too small; I needed a 1/2 size larger. Called customer service, placed a new order since I didn't want to wait for the exchange process & then sent the small one back. My new order arrived within 3 days & the refund processed within 2 weeks from the date I sent back... Diamond quality is fine, esp. since I'm wearing as a stacking ring. Would buy from this co. again. For reference, I purchased the Luna 7 stone diamond band 1/2 ctw. & was able to get on their Valentine's Day sale.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

I bought an engagement ring from Blue Nile several years ago, when I went to use the upgrade program I found out the new purchase can not be on sale. So be aware you will not receive a 100% credit if you want to buy a sale item. This is the market claim "You will receive credit equal to 100% of the original price toward the purchase of a new diamond.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

I bought a diamond bracelet for about $10,000 with a promotional 0% interest for a year, 29.99% afterward. I got my balance to $2,300 and was ready to pay it off in the last month. I lost track of the 12 months expiration, then I was charged a whopping $1,779 of interest as soon as the promo expires. I was on the phone with Comenity (Blue Nile credit card) for 3 hours to try to work something out like offer to pay it off all $2,300 plus $300 interest since I’m only 5 days into promo expiration. The reps were mean!!!! I owe $2,300 but $1,779 interest for 5 days after promo interest expires. That is predatory lending!!! Government should shut down these scumbag lending. I never missed a payment and was ready to pay it off the whole thing. A good consumer like me was nuked and was unfairly scammed of $1,779 in a few days. I WILL NEVER BUY FROM BLUE NILE AGAIN!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Nile?

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

My husband bought me a rose gold locket two years ago for over $500 and after two years there are visible discoloration all over the necklace. I used it less than 10 times and I always wore it on over a turtleneck so there is no way it is caused by lotion or perfumes. We sent it back and they just polished it. A few weeks after polishing the discoloration got so much worst to the point that the necklace is useless at this point. We called customer service and they did not give us a response. It's unfortunate that this company is so dishonest. Don't buy anything from this website as it has become a complete waste of money.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

So I bought a rose gold locket with diamond accent for my girlfriend. When I received it I'm too embarrassed to give it to her. It looks cheap and has discoloration. Didn't receive cut out template and presentation box looks cheap as well. If it didn't say Blue Nile someone would think I went to Walmart to buy it. Still haven't heard back from customer service. Everyone should know if you buy it with a credit card the credit card companies warranty everything for a year. You can get every cent back even if bluenile tries to charge you a restocking fee and if they are jerks about it tell them to come get it because you're not wasting your time going to the post office and it's their problem. If they want to have crappy customer service be a crappy customer.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

I ordered a diamond ring using their credit card company. The day before my ring was suppose to arrive I get a email saying it never shipped and that they were waiting on their distributor. So I called and they said they were trying to figure out what’s going on and would let me know. I got a call two days later saying they could have it to me within a few days so I cancelled. Two weeks later still no refund but I have a credit card bill. I call to inquire and was told whoever did my cancellation didn’t do it right and for me to give it another week. Very disappointed...

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

I would not ever buy from Blue Nile again. I was a good customer and bought from BN for a few years, from diamond rings which I collected, plus just fine jewelry. They do not stand behind their 30 days exchange policy. I had returned a few (within 30 days) over the years. When I wanted to purchase another diamond ring, they had banned me from buying any more fine jewelry, told me that I had exchanged too many times. But wait. It's their policy on the website, and it's their 30 days return/exchange policy they had advertised. Believe me, once you returned more than 4-5 times in a matter of a few years, they will be very hostile.

They even told me, that others can return, but I cannot. Told them, nothing is written that there's a limited on returns/exchanges. They pretty much gave me the 'tough luck' attitude. After I spent thousands, they treated me like a 3rd class citizen. Stay away, BN are crooks. They don't even honor their own policy. I would not use any more of my Hard earned money on Blue Nile. They are very unprofessional. Rude at best.

Original review: June 11, 2019

What a joke! I purchased a very nice engagement ring a year ago and used their financing, not because I needed to, but because it was "so beneficial". I decided to take on their 0% interest for 1 year, paid the monthly principal payment, and paid off the balance at the end of one year. Here's where they got me. My payment was due every month on the 20th and so I scheduled my last full payoff payment on the last month for my due date.

I received an email the following week stating that my payment was due. I logged in to check it out to make sure that was a mistake and saw my balance was $3,000! My "promotional period" apparently ended the 8th of the month and although my account didn't say anything about it when I logged in to do my payoff, I got hammered with the $3,000 back interest. I called customer service to get this straightened out thinking they would understand and they told me to go fly a kite. "Sorry you missed your date, there is nothing we can do about this." I scheduled my payment before the 8th and they still took advantage of me. Disgusting!

Not sure about Blue Nile?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Jewelry Stores for you.

Blue Nile expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Blue Nile is an online-only jewelry company that has been in business since 1999. The company is headquartered in Seattle, Washington and offers customers a huge selection of products containing diamonds; customers can search the company's inventory of diamond by carat weight, clarity, color, and more.

• Certified diamonds: The diamonds that Blue Nile sells to customers are all certified so customers can be sure they are of high quality and from a legitimate source.

• No commission sales: Blue Nile salespeople do not work on commission, so customers can expect unbiased service, and they will not be pressured to make a purchase they are uncertain about.

• 30-day return policy: The company offers customers who order products a 30-day period to return any piece they are unhappy with.

• Jewelry education: Blue Nile's website has an education section about jewelry and how to pick pieces to wear and give as gifts, so it's a helpful resource for customers looking for more information before they shop.

• Free shipping: Customers who order jewelry from Blue Nile receive it through free, fast shipping.

• Best for: Couples getting engaged and customers looking to buy a luxury gift.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team