Find the right jewelry store for you

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

2.27/5

26 Blue Nile Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 20, 2019

I had read a lot of reviews and was skeptical about using them but I decided to buy my fiancée engagement ring from them. I viewed their engagement sets and picked the one with sapphires and diamonds down the side to accent the main diamond. After selecting the setting, I chose the diamond that fit my budget and would look great. After finalizing the purchase, I was given an estimated ship and delivery date. When the ship date arrived, I received an email with the tracking number for the over-night priority shipping. The package arrived as they stated and you would not know it was from a jeweler. The ring looks great and I would definitely use them again.

Original review: June 11, 2019

What a joke! I purchased a very nice engagement ring a year ago and used their financing, not because I needed to, but because it was "so beneficial". I decided to take on their 0% interest for 1 year, paid the monthly principal payment, and paid off the balance at the end of one year. Here's where they got me. My payment was due every month on the 20th and so I scheduled my last full payoff payment on the last month for my due date.

I received an email the following week stating that my payment was due. I logged in to check it out to make sure that was a mistake and saw my balance was $3,000! My "promotional period" apparently ended the 8th of the month and although my account didn't say anything about it when I logged in to do my payoff, I got hammered with the $3,000 back interest. I called customer service to get this straightened out thinking they would understand and they told me to go fly a kite. "Sorry you missed your date, there is nothing we can do about this." I scheduled my payment before the 8th and they still took advantage of me. Disgusting!

Get expert buying tips about Jewelry Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 8, 2019

STAY AWAY I purchased a ring last year with a promotional interest free financing for one year. The ring cost $5,000. The promotion ended two weeks ago. Sad to say I didn't keep track of the promotion ending. Blue Nile charged my account $1,100 in interest! I called them up. Asked if they could remove the charges since promotion only ended two weeks ago. I also said I would pay the remaining balance today and they said no. Really poor customer service. All they said was that I was wrong and they are right. It's not who is wrong or right but how you treat your customers. Not worth the headache.

Original review: March 23, 2019

The experience started out with an email indicating that as opposed to immediate shipping of the band I ordered for my wife that it was on "backorder" and would not ship for another 3 weeks. No indication of that when making my purchase. Then, once received, I inquired about change of size in the event it was needed as their sizing is on the small side compared to my wife actual size. I was told that 30 days is the return/exchange policy with no exceptions but they would resize up to 1 size either way if possible at no charge, anything more than that there would be a fee or I would have to buy another ring. My follow up question was can the style of band "Comfort fit 4mm" be resized? The answer - a startling only ¼ size in either direction. Beware and be really sure before you invest your money here, the product might be cheaper but there are caveats that they don't tell you when purchasing.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I had a very pleasant experience with BN. Ordered a ring to stack with my Cartier love ring. The first ring I ordered was too small; I needed a 1/2 size larger. Called customer service, placed a new order since I didn't want to wait for the exchange process & then sent the small one back. My new order arrived within 3 days & the refund processed within 2 weeks from the date I sent back... Diamond quality is fine, esp. since I'm wearing as a stacking ring. Would buy from this co. again. For reference, I purchased the Luna 7 stone diamond band 1/2 ctw. & was able to get on their Valentine's Day sale.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Nile?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

My husband purchased two of the 1/4ct diamond wedding bands, Chevron cut, 18kt white gold. The top diamond, the highest part of the Chevron curve, has lost its diamonds twice in a span of 5 months. I found a local jeweler to fix it the first time. My engagement ring is soldered to these bands and I wasn't keen on shipping my entire set to Blue Nile in the hopes they'd fix it. The engagement ring was not theirs but a private jeweler who custom designed it. But when I lost the diamond AGAIN, I called customer service to tell them their bands are faulty. And asked for assistance in replacing it. They wouldn't touch it because it was in the hands of another jeweler that "tainted it." Needless to say, we spent lots of money for cheaply made rings. Super disappointed. And won't ever shop here or recommend it. Which is a shame because I'm in the wedding business and could've referred my clients.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Be aware that Blue Nile’s return policy is 30 days unlike others 90 days (huge difference especially if plan to propose abroad). Their upgrade program does not cover full ring like all other jewelry stores (only diamond). Their pictures are deceiving, in my experience setting band and diamonds were half the size than what's shown in pictures. If you want to upgrade setting even 2x or 3x the cost they will offer 0 to 30% credit depending on date of purchase. Blue Nile does not stand behind their merchandise. Their customer service is not attentive or supportive. They don't value customer relations especially recurring customers and customers that give referrals. Today customer service is the key no matter what you buy, so think twice before hitting 'Submit' on Blue Nile. Go to your local Jewelry Store or even better Costco!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Be aware... if a diamond chips or breaks, which according to them is not all that uncommon, they do not cover it. Other places will cover diamond for life. Blue Nile DOES NOT! Keep in mind before purchasing. I will never purchase from them again.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

They have nice diamonds, sure. But do you really want to do business with a company who dupes its customers? They're "interest-free" credit card is not a credit card. It's a loan. If you don't pay the full balance by the end of your term, they will charge you interest on the total amount throughout the term. The end of my term occurred over my wedding and honeymoon. I knew I was late but had more important things to worry about. I figured one month's worth of interest on $7500 isn't that much.

You can imagine my surprise when a $4400 interest charge appeared the next month. And that's when I discovered the fine print that the sales rep did not tell me about and is not found anywhere on their payment website. They put it on their statements. Really? Who reads actual statements these days? When I wrote to their CEO Jason Goldberger with some feedback on how nefarious this appears, I got a note back from the Sr. Director of customer relations who essentially said, "Sorry. You should have read the terms. Not our problem." If you're going to drop a bunch of money on an engagement ring, do it from a jewelry or another online diamond retailer. Blue Nile clearly does not care about their customers. Do you really want to make a purchase that big and important from a company and CEO like that?

Original review: July 10, 2018

Beware of buying too early from Blue Nile! I bought diamond earrings for my wife’s birthday, wrapped them, and gave them to her... 6 weeks later. She found the design of the clasp inoperable and so opted to return them. Blue Nile’s return policy is 30 days... NO EXCEPTIONS. Even after satisfactory inspection of the returned earrings, Blue Nile asked for a $745 “restocking” fee. I had an extended argument with multiple Blue Nile representatives, which ultimately left me with a Blue Nile “gift” credit in return for my money. Very disappointing!

Blue Nile expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Blue Nile is an online-only jewelry company that has been in business since 1999. The company is headquartered in Seattle, Washington and offers customers a huge selection of products containing diamonds; customers can search the company's inventory of diamond by carat weight, clarity, color, and more.

• Certified diamonds: The diamonds that Blue Nile sells to customers are all certified so customers can be sure they are of high quality and from a legitimate source.

• No commission sales: Blue Nile salespeople do not work on commission, so customers can expect unbiased service, and they will not be pressured to make a purchase they are uncertain about.

• 30-day return policy: The company offers customers who order products a 30-day period to return any piece they are unhappy with.

• Jewelry education: Blue Nile's website has an education section about jewelry and how to pick pieces to wear and give as gifts, so it's a helpful resource for customers looking for more information before they shop.

• Free shipping: Customers who order jewelry from Blue Nile receive it through free, fast shipping.

• Best for: Couples getting engaged and customers looking to buy a luxury gift.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs