2. Shopping
  3. Jewelry Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.04/5

Blue Nile Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Nile?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Nile?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

My fiancé ordered my ring and it came the next day (according to him), and it’s exactly what he was looking for. When he proposed, it was slightly large and we had to take it to get resized. I will say their estimations on the resizing are a little confusing, but I dropped it off on a Saturday night right after thanksgiving and got it 11 days later all without a cent charged to us. I’m astounded at how quick they were after the holiday and every one of the customer service reps was so helpful. This company is amazing and so is my ring.

Original review: June 9, 2020

My fiance purchased my engagement ring from Blue Nile. Let me tell you, it is more beautiful in person than I could ever have hoped for. They are a wonderful company with excellent customer service. I highly recommend Blue Nile!

Get buying tips about Jewelry Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 20, 2020

I’ve bought several pieces of jewelry from Blue Nile and from soup to nuts they are the BEST jeweler I’ve ever dealt with. From their selection, customization, to their quality and finally the way they present the final product in a gorgeous lacquered wooden box. They are nothing shy of AMAZING!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

I was furloughed for 6 months this year. I asked to extend my promotional balance during the summer. I was still making payments and was approaching payoff. At no point did I receive a 'payoff statement' with date I needed to pay the engagement ring I purchased. I made double payments in October to pay off the ring as my fiancee and I called off the engagement and parted ways. I wanted her to be able to sell if she wanted to, free and clear. Therefore, I thought I was completed paid up before November 1st.

My statement said $0.00, and just this past week, I received an e-mail stating my "promotional APR had expired, and I owed $1077 (and change)". I wrote Blue Nile asking for an explanation; they said there was still $200 left on the promotional balance and the rest was finance charges backloaded from Day 1. I said there was no way I would pay all of it off with the exception of $200 to garner those additional charges when I had been up to date on all payments and even paid extra at the end. Back and forth, a customer service rep and I wrote through their e-mail system. Then, finally, they asked me to call in due to "extenuating circumstances".

I asked to speak to a supervisor after explaining my situation to this service rep. She said she didn't have one and that "there was nothing they could do". I showed I had already paid the final $200. They said it was "too late to do anything about it and no exceptions are made ever". So, in a pandemic, when a person was furloughed for half the year, who had their engagement called off and is now typing this at home as a positive COVID carrier now, Blue Nile can't even negotiate the total amount of finance charges assessed to someone who hadn't been late on any payments despite all of the aforementioned? Ridiculous cheats.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

I found on eBay a 2.0 ct minimum size pair of diamond stud earrings for $3,049. Even though this seller had a 99.4% favorable rating for over 40,000 sales, I decided to try Blue Nile. Blue Nile listed 98 diamonds with the same specs. Their lowest price for one 1.00-Carat Round Cut Diamond Very Good Cut | F Color | VS2 Clarity was $5,315 (LD14717339). Blue Nile's price for ONE diamond was $2,300 more than TWO similar diamonds from this eBay seller, mounted in 14k gold earrings.

I contacted Blue Nile for their price match to see what they would offer. They refused to price match because the eBay seller didn't have an a certification issued the GIA. The eBay seller did provide a certification issued by American Appraisal Association, 37 West 47th St., NYC. It was current and signed by a GIA Gemologist. I offered Blue Nile a copy. Blue Nile nevertheless declined to price match. From the shopping I did, Blue Nile's diamonds are expensive and not the good deal they promote. They won't price match unless you can produce a GIA certificate. It's my view you can do better shopping elsewhere. From the many other negative reports I read, Blue Nile is not as customer friendly as they say. Buyer beware. I'm staying away and purchasing from the eBay seller.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

Do yourself a favor and stay far, far away from Blue Nile. I returned a pair of $2,500 earrings because they kept falling out of my ears. The backings were inappropriately small given the weight of the earrings. Fedex lost the earrings during shipment back to Blue Nile. Between Blue Nile and Fedex, nobody could inform me what was happening and when I could expect my refund. Blue Nile insured the package but they delayed opening their internal investigation for reasons they would not explain. I handed the earrings to Fedex in early June 2020. I kept the receipt confirming Fedex's possession of the jewelry.

I asked Blue Nile to keep me updated as they processed their investigation. One person would tell me I would receive an update in "3 to 5 days." Another person would tell me it would be "5 to 11 days." Nobody would even confirm that I would receive a refund, and mind you it was Fedex's negligence -- documented. This went on for weeks on end. Finally, about a month and a half later, the refund was processed. And yes, it took the full 10 business days after notice for the refund to appear in my account. Never, in any context, have I had such a terrible customer service experience. Can you imagine being out $2,500, with no goods in hand, and just waiting for a resolution -- maybe...? -- while being fed utter nonsense from one customer service rep after another? Never again.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

I have purchased a few pieces of diamond jewelry from Blue Nile. 80% of the time there is a problem. The Earring backs on hoops were not secure the first time. Then I ordered diamond studs and they are completely different sizes! It is very noticeable and they cost 2k. ZERO QUALITY CONTROL. I've called three times to speak to management, I was hung up on two times in a row, the third time they said the manager Dede would call me back, but still has not. Totally insane to have spent almost 20k at a business and get hung up on, totally unacceptable. Also, REVIEWS ON SITE ARE FAKE. I could not leave a review on any items I purchased, yet they all have multiple 5 star reviews only.... SO FAKE. There isn't a bad review on the site because you can't leave one... DO NOT SPEND YOUR MONEY HERE!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

I purchased 4 Blue Nile wedding bands for my girlfriend who got married in August. She couldn't find a ring, but I know Blue Nile has a great return policy so we gave it a shot. The rings didn't come in when they promised they would, so she got married without her own Wedding Band. So after I returned from her Wedding, I returned the rings. This was at the beginning of September. Received an email on September 10th that my return has been accepted and will take 5-15 days for the refund to hit my PayPal account. It is September 30th and still no refund. I have called 8 times in the past 2 weeks and they kept telling me the refund was processed and will hit my account any day now. September 30th, 3 days before my Wedding, the refund is still not there. My caterer bill is due, with no funds left in my paypal account because Blue Nile still has not returned the money.

I have called 4 times today and have received 3 different responses on what's going on with my refund. Deadline to pay my caterer is today. So you can imagine how upsetting this is. They are holding $4500 of mine. Please please please, unless you know you are going to keep the jewelry, do not buy from them. One of the customer service reps said a ring was missing and that is why they are not refunding me my money?? I don't know what to believe, but this has been very upsetting to say the least. I don't know if I will have a caterer at my Wedding at this point and I'm just a balling mess. No one should have to deal with this kind of customer service and lack of care and when I brought that up to the last lady I chatted with (Tammy), she said they aren't customer service. That's alarming. There are other jewelers out there where you won't have to go through something like this.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

Purchased a ring and it takes about a month to deliver. Told them to have it helps at the FedEx facility. Said it was fine and then the next day get an email at night saying shipping is delayed. They couldn't change it and it ruined my proposal. Girlfriend is from another country and her parents were in town. Was planning on doing it with them present since they don't get to see us as much. Now the ring will be delivered the day they leave. Ruined my whole proposal plans and they didn't care at all. Do not recommend. Also found basically the same ring/diamond combo for $500 less after purchase.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

On the morning of what was the scheduled ship date I received an email incoming me everything was ready and the item would ship that day. Later that night I received another email informing me it didn’t ship and I’d be notified of another date. I logged into my account and utilized their chat feature. When a representative chatted with me she called me my brother's name. She argued with me that she sees my name in the chat box. She screen shot her chat box and it did indeed list my as my brother's name.

My brother's name is very rare, it’s impossible it was just computer mistake as they would tell me later. I asked my brother and he’s never even heard of the company. Maybe I was naive about privacy online even though their privacy statement states how seriously they take it. I don’t know of any other explanation than they look up my personal information, names of my family, and no telling what else. If you care about your families' privacy I would avoid this company.

Blue Nile author review by ConsumerAffairs

Blue Nile is an online-only jewelry company that has been in business since 1999. The company is headquartered in Seattle, Washington and offers customers a huge selection of products containing diamonds; customers can search the company's inventory of diamond by carat weight, clarity, color, and more.

• Certified diamonds: The diamonds that Blue Nile sells to customers are all certified so customers can be sure they are of high quality and from a legitimate source.

• No commission sales: Blue Nile salespeople do not work on commission, so customers can expect unbiased service, and they will not be pressured to make a purchase they are uncertain about.

• 30-day return policy: The company offers customers who order products a 30-day period to return any piece they are unhappy with.

• Jewelry education: Blue Nile's website has an education section about jewelry and how to pick pieces to wear and give as gifts, so it's a helpful resource for customers looking for more information before they shop.

• Free shipping: Customers who order jewelry from Blue Nile receive it through free, fast shipping.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team