2. Shopping
  3. Jewelry Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.11/5

Blue Nile Reviews

Original review: April 20, 2020

I’ve bought several pieces of jewelry from Blue Nile and from soup to nuts they are the BEST jeweler I’ve ever dealt with. From their selection, customization, to their quality and finally the way they present the final product in a gorgeous lacquered wooden box. They are nothing shy of AMAZING!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

I have been married for over twenty years to my lovely wife and best friend. I decided to buy her a new engagement ring and wedding band. I made the purchases and as stated the jewelry was received a day later. My wife loved both her new engagement ring and wedding band and I too was so surprisingly ecstatic with the look and sparkle of the two rings. Thank you Blue Nile for making my purchase effortless and for providing me with an unbelievable happiness for years to come. I will definitely be purchasing from you again.

Get buying tips about Jewelry Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 20, 2019

I had read a lot of reviews and was skeptical about using them but I decided to buy my fiancée engagement ring from them. I viewed their engagement sets and picked the one with sapphires and diamonds down the side to accent the main diamond. After selecting the setting, I chose the diamond that fit my budget and would look great. After finalizing the purchase, I was given an estimated ship and delivery date. When the ship date arrived, I received an email with the tracking number for the over-night priority shipping. The package arrived as they stated and you would not know it was from a jeweler. The ring looks great and I would definitely use them again.

Original review: May 22, 2020

I Read reviews, I thought... Well they can't be that bad can they? Well they sold me a ring and gave me multiple dates it would arrive... Always pushing it by a week. Finally I was fed up after 3 weeks of waiting for it to be shipped. I called in and was told my diamond was stuck in India in a a vault? Ok.., that's fine, But why was I told fake dates it would ship? Why not be honest? I had a 8 month prego lady at home and needed the ring quick! So I decided after the lies, I would cancel my order for a refund.. Well that was over 2 weeks ago, and they still haven't issued a refund, And I just got another email saying it could be another 14 days... So Blue Nile has had my money for nearly 2 months, And they are rude and impossible to deal with.

I finally just made a dispute with PAYPAL to try to get my money back.., Please DO NOT IGNORE THE WARNINGS. These guys are a terrible company to deal with, GO ANYWHERE BUT HERE. They will trick you into buying a great diamond, then tell you it won't be in for months, and try to get you to buy a inferior one instead for more money. What a joke of a company, if I could give 0 stars I would.

Original review: April 8, 2020

After spending many months looking for the right diamond and setting, I found it on Blue Nile's website yesterday. I’d shopped many online jewelers in addition to local brick and mortar stores. Then yesterday I found the diamond I’d been looking for at a fair price. In fact, there were several (I’d say about 15 or so) new diamonds featured on Blue Nile that were of the size and quality that I was seeking. Exciting...right?

I spent the next 15-30 minutes going through the GIA reports and comparing diamonds to each other. I initiated an online chat with one of the Blue Nile representatives to verify some things and ask a few questions about specific concerns. Their representative reassured me and professionally answered my questions. So I was all set.

I filled out all of the information needed. I was a bit nervous even though I knew I’d found the right ring for my wife. While $10,000+ may not be a lot to some, it’s a big purchase for me. I completed the sale. I was very excited! Very shortly afterwards I received an email with my order confirmation and congratulations on my purchase. It was verified that my ring would be sent in two weeks since it was a custom piece. I was so happy! I began planning on how I’d give this beautiful ring to my wife.

Then several hours later, the REAL Blue Nile experience kicked in. I received another email telling me that the diamond I’d bought was, in fact, sold to someone else. While this “rarely happens” according to the email, my purchase would not happen in spite of the confirmation I’d received. My immediate thought was, if this rarely happens, why didn’t they have someone with some authority call me personally and apologize and try to rectify their mistake? Instead, I was directed to find another diamond. I was devastated! Of course all of the newly listed, less expensive diamonds, were sold or pulled off of their site. Instead, I could replace that perfect, to me at least, diamond with another that is inferior and more expensive.

So, I won’t be dealing with Blue Nile. I’m going to try to take this experience as a positive thing. If they treat their customers this way before the ring is sent, how poorly must they treat a customer who needs service or warranty work? The purpose of my review is to hopefully give others a heads up about the way that this company operates. I now know why so many poor reviews are online about Blue Nile. Buyer beware. Then go somewhere else to buy your jewelry.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blue Nile?

Original review: April 6, 2020

Purchased a ring for my girlfriend. She said no which was humiliating. Tried to return the ring and customer service told me I could not because it was over 30 days after purchase. So I was stuck with a ring that I paid 3000 dollars for and had to sell it on ebay for 1500. I lost 1500 because you wouldnt allow me to return the ring. This just added to the humiliation and now I am making payments on a ring that I don’t even have. Hope you're happy with yourselves.

Original review: April 6, 2020

We found a beautiful diamond on sale and paid for it using the cash I just deposited into my debit account. The money was taken out of the account and then deposited back into the account. I phoned customer service and the employee was very rude and said that our money isn't any good, even though it was taken from the account, and said that using a debit card is a security risk and that our diamond had been sold to someone else. Why would paying by debit card be an option on the website if it is a so called security risk? Why would they sell the diamond to someone else while it was still in our pending order that we had already paid for? Very unprofessional and shady business practices from the company.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

I bought an engagement ring from Blue Nile several years ago, when I went to use the upgrade program I found out the new purchase can not be on sale. So be aware you will not receive a 100% credit if you want to buy a sale item. This is the market claim "You will receive credit equal to 100% of the original price toward the purchase of a new diamond.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

I bought a diamond bracelet for about $10,000 with a promotional 0% interest for a year, 29.99% afterward. I got my balance to $2,300 and was ready to pay it off in the last month. I lost track of the 12 months expiration, then I was charged a whopping $1,779 of interest as soon as the promo expires. I was on the phone with Comenity (Blue Nile credit card) for 3 hours to try to work something out like offer to pay it off all $2,300 plus $300 interest since I’m only 5 days into promo expiration. The reps were mean!!!! I owe $2,300 but $1,779 interest for 5 days after promo interest expires. That is predatory lending!!! Government should shut down these scumbag lending. I never missed a payment and was ready to pay it off the whole thing. A good consumer like me was nuked and was unfairly scammed of $1,779 in a few days. I WILL NEVER BUY FROM BLUE NILE AGAIN!!!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

My husband bought me a rose gold locket two years ago for over $500 and after two years there are visible discoloration all over the necklace. I used it less than 10 times and I always wore it on over a turtleneck so there is no way it is caused by lotion or perfumes. We sent it back and they just polished it. A few weeks after polishing the discoloration got so much worst to the point that the necklace is useless at this point. We called customer service and they did not give us a response. It's unfortunate that this company is so dishonest. Don't buy anything from this website as it has become a complete waste of money.

Blue Nile author review by ConsumerAffairs

Blue Nile is an online-only jewelry company that has been in business since 1999. The company is headquartered in Seattle, Washington and offers customers a huge selection of products containing diamonds; customers can search the company's inventory of diamond by carat weight, clarity, color, and more.

• Certified diamonds: The diamonds that Blue Nile sells to customers are all certified so customers can be sure they are of high quality and from a legitimate source.

• No commission sales: Blue Nile salespeople do not work on commission, so customers can expect unbiased service, and they will not be pressured to make a purchase they are uncertain about.

• 30-day return policy: The company offers customers who order products a 30-day period to return any piece they are unhappy with.

• Jewelry education: Blue Nile's website has an education section about jewelry and how to pick pieces to wear and give as gifts, so it's a helpful resource for customers looking for more information before they shop.

• Free shipping: Customers who order jewelry from Blue Nile receive it through free, fast shipping.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team