1.41/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Find the right jewelry store for you
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 13, 2017

468 Kay Jewelers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Received my engagement ring from Kay. After 12 days the diamond fell out. Purchased it at Kay Jewelry store at Chandler Mall. The manager Sue was extremely rude and did not offer any solutions. One of the most memorable things in a woman's life is the man of her dreams asking her to marry him. Kay Jewelry ruined it for me. Do NOT PURCHASE FROM KAY JEWELERS.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I purchased a wedding ring set on credit w/ Kay Jewelers. The sales manager told me that my first payment would be on 12/01/2017. I received my November statement on November 2, 2017 indicating that the amount due for November was $0.00. On November 6, 2017, I received an email from Kay/Comenity bank indicating that my account was 2 months past due and I owed $347.00. I called the credit card company and told them what the sales manager and my statement said. They told me the sales manager didn't know what he was talking about and they changed credit card companies and I needed to pay the full amount to keep my account current. They have also listed my payment as late and charged me a late payment fee. This is wrong in so many ways!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I don't even know where to begin. Well let's start with I could have been sobbing all day! I have had my Neil Lane set for 6 years and it's been one thing to another that needs to be fixed. My original place of purchase was wonderful but it is 2 hrs away. It starts with Xmas shopping 1 month after getting my ring. What should have been awesome time turned horrid.

We went to a Kay Jewelers in Burlington VT still about 2 hrs away from us. I was inquiring about getting my new ring sized to fit, the lady there actually tried to tell me I couldn't size down from like a 7 to a 5. I then said "well can it be ordered in my size and we switch?" She told me we would have to buy a new ring in order to do this. Are you kidding? She try every sales pitch she could to get us to open a Kay's credit line OMG again in years thinking how the heck am I going to keep this thing on my finger?

She went further to say it's not a big deal. Her daughter bought the same set for a right finger ring. You don't just buy this set for a casual wearing! Disgusted we walk out. But before I demanded to speak to her manager to whom was standing nearby (I didn't realize this or I would have walked to her) she actually left the floor and told her to tell me she was busy and there was nothing she could do to help us! That's #1 if many other store visits seemed to go. Our original place of purchased not only fixed the problem but did it without any hassle.

Since I have had let's see prongs reset, some of which weren't even required on the day of inspection. I got my ring back from the Kay's in Lebanon NH and it was sent out to get soldered together and within a week, I noticed my center diamond was rolling all over! They assured me it would be taken care of. They again soldered my center diamond in the setting and swore, you will never lose this diamond it's very secure. (I just had it inspected. It didn't move before this.) Then last April I got it inspected and hmmm needed a ridiculous amounts of new prongs, again not sure I really needed them during inspection.

There were like 4 maybe. The smaller ones that I believe we spoke about, a 3 weeks later after going to the store upon because my ring was supposedly finished only for me to get there to find it's not at the store. Can't find it! Awesome. Apparently they sent it back without telling me for more prongs. After losing all my humor with this very very incompetent store and demanding my ring back (we were leaving for vacation the following week I was assured it would be back before) it took a month to get this back.

And now today, I was working at a big equine affaire, and sometime with me lifting and moving saddles I happened to look down and guess what my frigging center diamond GONE!!! The whole thing! I am beside myself right now! To be able to find it where I am is beyond a needle and haystack! I am so disappointed in Kay's and poor customer service, poor repairs! And a big huge disappointment in Neil Lane!

Pooooooor quality!!! I've had nothing but poor results with my ring, and now because things weren't done effectively or efficiently I am sobbing because my treasured piece of jewelry is missing a very large piece of it! Now I get to have the dreaded conversation with yet another incompetent salesperson desperate for a sale for commissions!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

The "manager" "gemologist" Melissa is a scam artist at the Smith Haven mall in Lake Grove location. My fiancé had purchased a ring from her in August 2017. From the beginning everything went wrong. First she tried selling him a wedding band that couldn't be made into a engagement ring. Then from there she tells him he's "instantly approved" and that his monthly payment would be $160 for a 2 year loan. Then when he went to pick up the ring they said "they couldn't find it." She didn't give him any paperwork and he has still to this day (November, 8 2017) not received anything in the mail regarding his account.

She charged him way more than what the ring appraised for and had a few random charges on the account that even the manager didn't know what they were for. The ring price was $5400 and she had him approved for $4000 and put the deal through anyway without telling him his account was automatically overcharged for the remaining $1400 which is now messing with his credit. She set him up with a loan for 8 years at 24.99 interest with over $260 a month payment which is nowhere near what she had told him in the store. Dealing with her was an absolute nightmare and she has completely ruined the fun in being engaged. This woman should NOT be a manager in any way.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

My now husband and I went to the Kay Jewelers in Champaign, IL to find a wedding ring for him before our wedding. We went in about a month and a half before the wedding date. Haylee (not sure the spelling of her name) was helping us pick it out and she was very helpful at the time, especially since they were pretty busy. We picked out the ring, and paid for it and she said that she would order the correct size for us later that day and it would be in the store in 9-14 days, and she would call and let us know when it was in. So we would have plenty of time before the wedding! 2 weeks went by and I hadn’t heard anything, so I called to see where the ring was.

I spoke to Haylee again, and she said they “just found out today” that the ring was back ordered and wouldn’t be in until about 10 days after the wedding. Of course I’m disappointed, but sometimes that happens and there’s nothing you can do. I called back a week before our wedding and talked to Kaylee (again, not sure of spelling), and she talked to special orders and some other places because the ring was nowhere to be found. Turns out, Haylee never ordered our ring. How she told me that it was back ordered, I have no idea. So I’m pretty pissed at this point, because either Haylee had no idea which customer she was talking to and was just saying something to get me off the phone, or just straight up lied and didn’t care that she never ordered the ring.

Kaylee did an amazing job calling all over the place trying to get this ring delivered in time for our wedding. She’s the only reason our ring didn’t get returned. It did make it to the store in time for the wedding, but it seemed like this store was very unprofessional, and I will never return to Kay Jewelers. Not even just the store, the whole company. Considering I called special orders myself and they said they don’t take calls from customers, even though I just talked to special orders myself a few weeks back. I will pay off my husband's ring and cancel my credit card there and not go back. Needless to say, if you decide to risk it and go to the Kays in Champaign, don’t deal with Haylee. Not only will she possibly screw you order up, she won’t even apologize or even acknowledge the fact that she screwed up. I got nothing from her.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kay Jewelers?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

During the first week of August 2017 my boyfriend picked out a ring during a business trip and surprised me. He was told to bring it to any Kay to have it sized. We dropped ring off immediately and was told 7-10 days. It was the most exciting time of my life. I never saw the ring again. It's now the end of October. We have been told it had to be remade twice and then wouldn't pass quality control amongst many other excuses. I could go on all day about the many different stories from many different Kay employees. We also were told we would be compensated for the trouble but never were. We ended up asking for our money back and told "you're not the only ones." Please never ever buy from this shady company. It's been a true nightmare to say the least.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

My husband and I have purchased several pieces throughout the years from Kay, but lately we have had nothing but problems after the sale. For instance we have two watches that were purchased and was told we have their "ultimate watch plan" that covers the watch for 3 years, however when it comes down to an issue it's only battery replacement that we have and they want to charge as much as the watch cost to fix it. Unbelievable! I will be finding another jeweler to do business with! I do not mind spending the money it's just when I do I expect what I am told to be honored.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I visited the Kay Jeweler at the Palm Beach Outlets just before Father's Day to purchase a new watch for my husband. The sales associate was beyond pushy and I felt very uncomfortable. I did find a watch I thought I liked and paid cash for it. I later had second thoughts and in looking on the receipt discovered that I had been charged $90 for a protection plan I did not ask for or agree to pay for. I went back to the store the following day to return the watch. Since I had paid cash, I was told they didn't have enough in the register to refund me and after some back and forth about returning to other locations not being an option they said they would send a cheque for my refund. I gave the manager and the associate my information and mailing address. I have to date, still not received my refund and have had no luck with customer service, corporate or anyone associated with the company. BAD BAD BAD!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

My fiancé bought my engagement ring from Kay on August 4, 2017 and the salesman at a different location told him that he didn’t need insurance. Two and a half weeks later, one of my tiny diamonds fell out. We took it to the Kay Jewelers in Cullman, AL on August 29, 2017 to get it fixed and to size it down. They couldn’t make a claim because we didn’t have the insurance. So, $180.00 later, they were able to file a claim.

They set my promise date as September 12, 2017. I call on the date to make sure that it came back and was told that they had to send it back, because it wasn’t resized. They set a new promise date (two weeks later) and promised that it would be fixed. I go in on September 26, 2017 to pick it up, because they had called and said that it was ready. I go and guess what?! The diamond was STILL NOT replaced!! They lied to us!!! They had to do another claim ticket and I heard the sales rep say, “Is this a Marquise diamond? Oh wait, it’s round... never mind.” Then she starts giggling... If you can’t identify your shapes, you don’t need to be working in a jewelry store! I was almost in tears not that I was sad, but because I was infuriated with Kay and their sales representatives.

They called today (October 3, 2017) and said that it was ready. I go in and they FINALLY had my ring done. It took them 35 days to do TWO simple things. THIRTY-FIVE DAYS... If you want to have a wonderful experience looking for your engagement/wedding rings or any piece of jewelry, for that matter, do not go to Kay Jewelers!!! They are absolutely horrendous and they have terrible customer service!!! I will NEVER shop at Kay Jewelers or any company that’s owned by Sterling America. They’re so shady, they lie, and they don’t care about your jewelry or the time in which your jewelry should be fixed.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

My fiancée bought a ring in August 2016. Within 1 month a diamond had fallen out, it was quickly replaced. Within another 2 months, a second diamond fell out. They attributed this to being resized initially. So they give us an entirely new ring. Here we are, 7 months later and a diamond FALLS OUT. We went to the location which we purchased from, and after the salesman giving us a speech about how I should just wear the wedding band, and only the engagement ring for special occasions, I asked for the manager. The assistant manager tells me she can have that diamond replaced. We asked for a different style ring entirely, because clearly there is a design flaw with the style we have. The store manager informed me that this is why they offer the care plan (which we have) so that diamonds can be replaced.

Then, they insinuate that it may be from rough handling, and dare ask what I do for a living. I reply that I am a stay at home mother, and I only wear my ring if I leave the house, and I don't even wear it in the shower or to do dishes. They informed me that if this happens FIVE OR SIX TIMES that they will review my situation and we can discuss a replacement. I am beyond livid. The quality of their jewelry as well as their customer service are beyond unacceptable. We have put a lot of hard earned money into the wallet of a horrible company that we are unfortunately stuck working with. I guess I'll be making several trips a year to have diamonds replaced (and be without my ring 2 weeks each time) until they are satisfied that the ring is faulty.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

Went to Kay Jewelers to have my grandma's ring cleaned and check if diamonds were real. The sales associate showed me that there was a loose diamond in the ring. Wasn't secured and loose. He then told me it's not a good thing. I asked if it's secured enough. He said yes, and went to clean it in the clean machine and put it in a ring box. I came home to inspect it in the box and I noticed a diamond is missing. The sales associate never told me there weren't any missing just one was loose. I have reasons to believe the cleaning machine made the diamond fall out. This ring was my grandmother's and she's passed on since July 9, 2017.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

I recently got engaged, however my Fiancé wanted me to be able to pick out a ring because I'm pretty particular. Due to Kay Jewelers name being pretty popular, I decided to look there. I'm a young person but have always been very responsible with my credit, so I have a pretty good credit score, so I applied for credit with their credit program to be able to get the ring of my dreams. I got approved right away, and I got an email with the credit card #, a letter saying that I could use the store right away, etc, and they were also having a sale on the ring that I had picked out, so I bought it right away with the credit that I was approved for. The item processed and I got an order confirmation. Their credit program also made me put 20% down on the ring, which was taken out of my bank account. The next day, however, I got an email that my order had been cancelled with no other information.

After waiting for half an hour to try to get ahold of a customer service rep, the rep told me that it was because I had put in my Fiancé's employment information (I'm a full time student) even though it asked for the HOUSEHOLD income, and so my application had been initially approved, but they looked over the application (the one that I had already been approved for) had been rejected and that they couldn't do anything unless I came into a store.

I explained that the closest store to me was over 2 hours away, but I could kindly fax any information that they needed directly to the correct department so they could confirm his income and that we lived together, and stated the fact that the reason that I ordered the ring online was because I lived so far away, and after arguing for awhile, the customer service rep said that they couldn't do anything for me. I ordered from Zales today (they approved me right away for a higher limit with better financing) so hopefully, that will work out better than Kay. I will never do business with this company again.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

So, my fiance bought me the two sapphire and diamond ring from Kay's at our local store. Most beautiful ring I could have imagined. The day he went in the sales rep tried her hardest to find the two blue diamond and diamond ring I had noted I liked to my fiance but they were no longer selling this ring but was still on the site. Props to her trying. Now, I have always worn a 5& 1/2 because I have skinny fingers but my knuckles are wide. He had it sized at 5&1/2 before proposing. After about a month I finally worked up the courage to take it off and have it taken down to a 5 because it was too loose and I didn't want to lose it. They told us two weeks or less. He has called a few times and it was still out. The last he spoke with someone they said they would call to have it rushed, which they did.

When he call today 8/4 they said it came back but they had to send it back out because they were not satisfied with it. He hung up with them and told me the news. I said, um, well shouldn't I be the one who has to be satisfied with it? So I called and asked why on earth they would send it back without letting me or him know number on and why are they the ones who decide if they are satisfied with it? Here it came back with a side diamond missing! I said "so not only do I have to wait longer but you're sending it back to the same person to not only fix the problem he created but who doesn't double check his quality of work?" I then asked "how it takes two weeks with this jeweler when the store three doors down can do it within a day." She tells me their jeweler deals with 12 other stores and that he does the orders as they come in.

I then say "well how long do I have to wait now because that ring doesn't belong to you or that jeweler it belongs to me and on my finger." She said "we put a rush on it he should get it tomorrow and have it back to us by Tuesday 8/8." So, I made a Facebook post and have had several close friends reply telling me their horror stories, so I quickly took to the internet and found so many, many more. This ring was not cheap either somewhere around $2800. It's one of the most beautiful rings I've ever seen and well he chose this ring for me and I can't even wear it. I know they said this jeweler is based out of WV, but I really don't trust he will do a good job. How can this company still be in business with so many, many horrible stories like mine or even worse? Why can't something be done about this company ripping people off??

Original review: July 30, 2017

I've bought an necklace, earrings, and bracelet from Kay's for someone. They went on vacation. So I said there's no need for it. I took the jewelry back to get a refund. Why am I getting the runaround about my refund. Go tell me they could send it in the mail. But it'll take ten business days. Or I can come in the afternoon after they've made some money. So I give them two days to make so money. They still haven't made no money. What kind of business is this?

Original review: July 25, 2017

My husband purchased me the 5/8 ever us band to go with my diamond he had already purchased. It was expected to be here by 6/16/17 which it was. I have the ring 14 days and I noticed a diamond was missing in the ring, mind you this is a 1149.00 Diamond ring. I took the ring into Kay’s for the man to look at it there. He did in fact look at it, the ring had to be sent off. They don't have that large size diamond in the ring in that style ring I was told. I was asked if I wanted one made or wanted that one repaired, after he further inspected the diamond ring he found a second diamond lose and advised me Not to wear the ring.

So here I sit with a diamond I can't wear. The other one won't be in before 47 days, he put it on rush which it hardly ever comes in early, promise day is 7/28/17. To me that is BS, why does it take so long? It doesn't take that long for them to bill you and they want their payment, I am very very disappointed with Kay Jewelers. This is going to be the last purchase made there, there will be no more, we will be taking our business elsewhere. I am so upset I want my ring but seems it's not even going to be here before leaving for vacation so I don't have it to wear. I Feel they can do better than what they are doing.

Original review: July 19, 2017

My fiance purchased an engagement ring for me on a Friday. By the next Monday I heard the main diamond moving. I didn't think anything of it because he literally just bought the ring. By Wednesday, the noise was louder. When I took the ring in, the woman working the counter told me that there is nothing wrong with it. I shook the ring and told her to listen to the noise. She proceeded to tell me that the diamonds usually do not get loose until a year into wearing them. After I insisted she look at it, she discovered that they put the bracket on the wrong way and the diamond was barely hanging on. I had the ring less than a week and had to give it up to them to fix.

They shipped it out and claimed it was on rush order to be fixed. Almost two weeks later, I am still waiting for news on my ring. Every time I call they are rude and they do not give me any information. What kind of company sells products before checking the product, then proceeds to belittle the customer, then continues to withhold information and does not do their job. Moral of the story, I WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING HERE AGAIN.

Original review: July 19, 2017

My husband bought me a diamond ring. I've had it expected couple times (every 6 months). March 2016 inspection, I was told they're all snug, 3 weeks later, the biggest diamond fell off. They said it will be replaced with my warranty, gave me promise date of June 23rd. I patiently waited til that date, and never heard back from them. When I called the store, I was just told "Oh, it can take up to 3 months." I requested that they check on it and give me a follow-up.

Couple days passed, no calls, so I called back just to be told "It's still in the diamond room waiting for a stone, please wait full 3 months." -- And that leads me to today. I've waited for 3 months. I called back and was told there was still "no matching diamond that is of equal value to my old one" -- which I can't honestly believe for a big diamond store not to have in 3 months. Then I was told "It's not really 3-month wait, it's 93 business days" -- I think they just want me to shut up for full 5 months and keep waiting for a stone that who knows would ever come. Then I will miss the September inspection because they have the ring which will void further warranty. DO NOT BUY AT KAY'S!

Original review: July 19, 2017

I would like the share my most recent experience with Kay Jewelers. Here's a little background. I lost my bracelet which I had repaired twice, not even a week after I picked it up for the second time it broke again. Resulting in losing the bracelet outside in the street. At first, the store said they would not replace it. I wrote to their company, let them know about my lost and after they investigated and since my bracelet was just recently repaired, they stood by their guaranty repairs and replaced my lost bracelet (because it wasn't properly repaired). I am extremely grateful for all the efforts made by the company and understanding my loss and replacing my favorite bracelet. Kay Jewelers really made me an exceptionally happy customer.

Original review: July 8, 2017

I purchased a ring for my fiance in November last year. Working with the company has been a pain ever since as we have had many, many problems. The ring we bought was a beautiful Neil Lane two toned (white gold/rose gold) intertwined band. We sent it off with Kay's to be sized. It came back with the rose gold barely visible on the band. We sent it back again as they said "cleaning product" was left on, making it look that way. The second time we got it back, it was even worse. There was absolutely no rose gold left visible on the band. They said oh, we will make you a new one in your size that it would take about 2 months. We said okay. We waited the two months, went back and got "oh it's not ready yet, it should be done in about two more weeks."

Came back in two weeks and they still did not have the ring. They said THEY DIDN'T KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON WITH IT!!! So they took the display one they had in the case and said we will give you this one, we just have to send it off to get it sized for you, it will take two more weeks. So by this point she had already gone almost four months without being able to wear her ring or even have it and for absolutely nothing because they ended up just giving us the DISPLAY one. So, in the end we got the ring but it lost much of its value to us as it was not the same ring I proposed with and never could be.

This whole time I have been making payments every single month for seven months even though we didn't even have the ring and went to pay it off this month and they said I still owe 600 more dollars when I should have only owed 200 more. I've been paying them in person in cash every month, obviously a big mistake. They said I had only made four payments total when I know for a fact I've made more than that but no way to prove it since I paid in cash. I am done with this company. It has been nothing but a nightmare. Please do not shop here!

Original review: June 26, 2017

We purchased our ring on 1/11/15 and had purchase their extra insurance. First time I take it for inspection was in June 2015 and had one of the side stones replaced; second inspection in Sept 2016, cleaned and all good. I missed my 6 month inspection, which would have been in March of 2017. This month when I take it for inspection in June 2017, same side stone that has fallen is NOT covered. Reason: I missed my 6 month inspection by 3 months. I called their customer service line with a rep and later with a supervisor named Alex. He kept bringing up the 6 month review that I missed. The fact that the first stone had fallen off in less than 6 months ago from my purchase date does NOT mean anything. Last time I am doing any business with Kay!!! Very little customer service!!!

Original review: June 20, 2017

Tried to submit a negative review on the Kay's website but it won't let me unless I rate the product good, NO CHANCE! We saw a bridal set online, so went to the Martinsburg store to see if they had it and view the other selections, but the woman serving us was full of attitude and forcibly handing me rings to try on that I did not like or ask to try. She then asked for my ring size which I didn't know and she scowled before having to get the ring measuring tool out and said "you're probably a 5 they look chunky". CHUNKY??

When we asked about ordering it to store she said she needed us to pay right away and when we asked if we would be able to return to store if we didn't like it, she said "not if you order it online, only if you order it today". As soon as we said we would just order online if we decide on that set since we didn't live nearby, she walked off without saying anything and moved on to the next customer without helping us to look at any other choices so we just left.

After ordering online it took FOREVER to get the ring delivered, almost a month, even though they say "ships in 2 business days when ready". And when we finally got it, it was nothing like the picture. We did wonder why there was no image of the ring from the side view on the website, now we know why. It was very cheaply made and looks like it was thrown together with bits stuck on as afterthoughts. The wedding band in the set was so cheap I wouldn't have even paid $50 for it, never mind over a $1000.

When we returned the rings, the gentleman who served us redeemed the store and was super nice, but the first woman was also working the same day and we saw her being super rude to other customers too. Just thankful she didn't have to do our return. Terrible customer service, and the jewelry is not worth a fraction of what they are charging! Stay away from this company, every nightmare begins with Kay!

Original review: June 19, 2017

Don't give me a "promise date" if you really mean, "we don't promise to meet this date." It has been a week since the promise date has come and gone. When my boyfriend called to follow up, the store the ring was being shipped too had no idea what he was talking about. He called the store he bought the ring from, and they gave him attitude as if he was a bother. They finally told him the warehouse was backed up on resizing and it would be another few days. Not to mention when they actually gave him the slip with the promise date, the sales associate even said to him, "It probably won't be ready by then, give it a few days after." Why bother giving that day as the promise date then? And it's not a few days later. It has been a week and they still have not received it. I can't imagine if he had planned something for a trip we had coming up and didn't receive the ring in time. Shame on Kay.

Original review: June 18, 2017

Kay Jewelers not only sells defective engagement rings, but the Omaha, NE Westroads Kay Jewelers (Store #1851) provides terrible customer service. We have owned the engagement ring for LESS THAN a year and have had MORE THAN 5 loose/missing stones already. I have worked with MULTIPLE sales representatives and have been extremely disappointed by the lack of concern or empathy displayed by each of them and I've made many visits to the store (unfortunately).

We purchased the certified engagement ring in August 2016 and by December 2016 it had been in the shop multiple times first a loose stone and less than a week later, a missing stone, and then another loose stone. During the first four months that I owned the ring, I was only able to wear it about 2.5 weeks because it was in the shop the rest of the time. We never did receive any empathy and when we asked about possible solutions, they continued to say there is nothing we can do, you are past 90 days.

In addition to issues with the engagement ring, we had them order the matching wedding band. Upon arrival, it did not match. The stones on the band were clearly much smaller than the stones along the engagement band. To make matters worse, the representatives tried to convince us that the stones were same size (probably just to get a sale) but when we asked them to measure the stones, it proved the stones were in fact significantly smaller. After multiple trips to Kay Jewelers with no acceptable solution, we ended up finding a wedding band from Helzberg (great store and wonderful customer service). We attempted to have the ring cleaned June 2017 and went into Helzberg. Upon inspection, they found a loose stone on the engagement band. We immediately went to Kay Jewelers #1851 and asked to have it cleaned.

They took the ring and inspected it under the microscope. Less than thirty seconds later she said, "It looks good, no loose stones so give me a few minutes while I clean it". We were so shocked that she did not do her job adequately and questioned her by saying "Really". She continued to stand by her decision that the ring was fine and didn't even offer to take another look at it to be sure. Finally, we told her that Helzberg discovered the loose stone and personally showed it to us -- and that this wasn't the first time in less than a year that we've had issues with ring.

Her actual response was "Well, it’s not my fault (with her hand on her hip)". There was no "I'm sorry" or "This is terrible, let me see what I can do to help". In fact, she never did apologize or express even an ounce of empathy and I walked out of the store leaving my husband to deal with the situation. They ended up finding TWO loose stones and the ring was sent off to be fixed once again. It’s a good thing we bought a silicone ring because I'm not sure I'll ever get to wear my wedding ring for more than two consecutive months.

Original review: June 17, 2017

At first, we had a great experience with an employee named Austin who was very personable and respectful. (I would have rated it a 5 had he been there today because I'm sure I would have been treated better.) In fact, we went back and bought a second piece of jewelry within a month from him. He even remembered us. However, when he was on vacation, and we went to pick up a resized piece of jewelry, the manager (I guess), was extremely rude as was another lady with him. I wish we had gotten their names. It's a shame, because the two of them ruined the good feeling we had going to the store previously. Customer service is everything. I would have bought more jewelry there, but we will be going somewhere else now where they give you personal attention and are respectful. We will shop at Mountz or Littman completely now where they showed us personal attention and are always respectful.

Original review: June 7, 2017

Diamond princess cut engagement ring - Diamond fell out of setting and was lost... my husband paid for extra protection insurance plan. And they would not replace the diamond. Gave us some story it was only good on the metal and we didn't have it examined every six months. We was never told we had to have our jewelry examined every six months for insurance to be good... they are scammers and don't honor the warranty and extra insurance my husband paid for on my jewelry. They also said extra insurance my husband paid for was not on the stone. WTH kind of business is this. A lousy one for sure. We will never buy or send anyone to Kay Jewelers... biggest rip off business I know is Kay Jewelers.

Original review: June 2, 2017

We bought my wedding an engagement rings from JB Robinson. Later bought by Kay Jewelers. Over 26 years, kept up I inspections mostly 1-2 times per year. Two years ago, they certified the diamond was fine, but we knew the shank was thinning. Two months later, the shank broke. Took it off and put it away until we could afford to fix it. Finally take in for 25th anniversary. The diamond is chipped! NO warranty to cover it! So upset! We have bought many things over the years, nothing overly expensive. Not a jewelry kind of person! There is no give on their part to make it right!

Original review: May 25, 2017

Store Location: Springfield Town Center, 6809 Springfield Mall, Springfield, Virginia. I am not a fan of bad review but I am writing this because I was told by the district manager of Kay Jewelers that this is the first time he is hearing about this type of complaint, in spite of numerous reviews everywhere including "Yelp" and "Consumer Reports". Apparently, it was my fault for keeping my mouth shut and just letting this store continue to harass and insult the customers. The staff members including the manager will be nice ONLY if you buy an item. If you go there just to look around and decided to buy later, they get very upset and start give you an attitude. Also, after you purchase an item including an ESP (extended service plan), they will make sure you do not return to get any work done. They get very annoyed when they have to send out a ring for resizing or Rhodium Plating or if they need to send out any watch for fixing.

Also, when an item comes back to the store after the work gets done, the store associates including the manager will claim that someone calls the customer to pick up the item; whereas they never call the customers. I have had this problem every time I have sent my ring for work. The store will never call me to let me know that the ring has arrived. On October 21, 2016, I have purchased one Movado and one Citizen watch from this location. Surprisingly, when the daylight saving started around March 12, 2017 the Citizen watch did not update the time automatically so I ended up calling Citizen tech support. While the tech support stated to correct the time, he notice that the power reserve level was between 1 and 2. Apparently, the time can't be fixed with low power reserve level. So, he advised me to leave the watch under bright light for 72 hours and call back once the it reaches level 4.

When I called back 72 hours later, I told the tech support that the power reserve level did not change and it is still showing between level 1 and 2. The tech support advised me that the battery was bad. Hmmm, now, how can the battery go bad when the watch was less than 5 months old. On March 26, 2017 I took the watch to this location. As always the staff member was not too happy about the work order. I tried to keep the tension at a minimal level by joking around with her. It made her laugh but she was still pissed about the work order. Finally, she completed a yellow ticket and wrote the following works needed to be done. 1. Date not change. 2. Battery range low; 3. Day wrong and 4. Buff Band; and put an estimated date of deliver, May 5, 2017. Due to my past experience with this location, on around the end of April I called the store to check on the status of the work order.

The store associate was very upset because I called before May 5, 2017. I told her that I am just checking in case if the watch came in early. She advised me that it did not. Unfortunately, I did not take the name of the person I spoke with and now I have no proof. On May 6, 2017 I called again and this time I spoke with **. She put me on hold for 5 to 6 minutes and said the watch did not come and she will ask the manager to contact the vendor on Monday (May 8, 2017) to check on the work order. On Monday, May 8, 2017, I called Kay and **, the store manager confirmed that the watch has been sitting in the store since April 21st, 2017. As always, no one bother to call but according to ** someone from the store called me to pick up the watch. When I told him that no one called me, he insisted that I was lying. I told him to find out who called and what time and he refused to do that.

And the problem continued. Apparently, the watch came back without fixing any of the issues listed in the work order. The battery reserve level was still between 1 and 2; the watch still showing the incorrect day and date; and the band was never buffed. When I asked **, "Can you please check why the vendor did not fix the issues listed in the work order." He simply refused and said since the watch has been sitting in the store drawer for over a week, the battery died and now the battery level is 2! Then he said, he will keep the watch under the light until the closing of the store, and hopefully it will charge. He promised to call me around 9 pm on the same day to let me know the status of the battery. Of course, as always he did not called me. Next morning when I called, he said the battery is now in level 2. I told him that yesterday you told me that it was in level 2 and now you are saying it is still in level 2?

He started to argue and said "No yesterday, I said it was in level 1". I knew he was going to pull a stunt like this, so I showed him proof of what he told yesterday is completely different from what he is saying today. He was upset about my proof because he was caught red-handed, he said he will not work on this watch anymore and asked me to pick up the broken watch from the store. This is when I called Kay's customer service and they advised me to contact the district manager. When I talked to the district manager and told him what is going on with this store and the store associates, district manager was surprised and said this is the first time he has heard about this type of complaint.

On May 10, 2017, the district manager took over the watch issue and started to correct the problem. Over two months later, on May 22, 2017 I got a call from the store saying the watch was ready to pick up and all work has been completed. When I went to pick up the watch, I have noticed that they still did not buff the band and when I showed that to **, the store manager, he said we can send it again. Apparently, it wasn't his problem that the vendor did not fully complete the work order. ** simply refused to contact the vendor to inquire why they keep ignoring the work order. At this stage, I just took the watch and left the store.

The next day I have noticed that the time was not working properly and the date stopped changing. Now I am really confused as to whether to take it back to this store or just throw away the watch. Kay Jewelers was never apologetic about the problem I have faced at this location. Their motto is that it is not their problem if a customer faces any issued with their products. Their job is only to sell.

Original review: May 13, 2017

Have bought from Kay for many years. Always purchased the extra protection as explained by store manager at Mercer Mall, Princeton WV. They say, "Your stones are covered if you purchase if you have inspected every 6 months." Read the fine print!!!

Original review: May 12, 2017

Every single customer service person could not answer my question regarding their website. I called the CS line twice, and once was told I would get an update from IT... A week later, there is no update even though I called... AGAIN. Secondly, the online chat CS representatives were not helpful and told me that I needed to call the line again. I go into the store, and the manager couldn't help me and tried to up-sale me four times what I needed. One CS representative told me my minimum down was removed, another told me I had to put down 20%. Another told me over a year ago he could remove it. The other told me it was removed. It's a bunch of crap, and then they tried to make me pay shipping. The website has not worked two years in a row, and this has been the most awful experience. Stay AWAY FROM KAY, JARED AND ANY OTHER STERLINGS OWNED JEWELERS!!! Mother's Day ruined two years in a row. I won't trust them again.

Original review: May 11, 2017

Wow, I really wish I would have read all of these horrible reviews before getting involved at all with Kay's, and yes as many have stated before you will be sorry if you deal this company, as I am now. My nightmare has to do with the Outlet and started in 2014 when I decided to get a custom band, and off and on from 2015 until recently. I have not written many reviews and at that a poor review before, but feel compelled to do so this time. This company really needs to re-evaluate its business model, structure, and possible slogan to "every cry begins with Kay."

I had a custom band created for a ring that did not come as part of a bridal set. The original designer, nor the salesperson never asked for my original ring to create the mold that would match the "bridal set" (although you would think this is common sense or at least something they would know as this is the business they are in). However, as you might imagine when the custom ring came back it didn't sit flush with the engagement ring, and this started a series of back and forth repair tickets, trips to the store and a level of frustration that one wouldn't believe; except those dealing with Kay.

The final straw was when I received my ring back and it had been solder together (a service I had not requested) and it still was not shaped on the engagement ring and this was supposedly after six people quality checked it. Because the custom band was not fitting against the engagement ring, there's a huge gap from the engagement ring to the custom ring except for where THEY DECIDED to solder it. I was livid, after months/weeks of back and forth this is the type of shoddy work that comes back to me after six people check it for quality.

I told this salesperson "I'm done," and "they were beyond incompetent," and it was refund or replacement at this point. Little did I know, the journey of replacement is just a frustrating as the "repair" process. I'm in awe, that a company dealing with such a sentimental time in life as engagement and weddings etc. and has so many complaints against them is still in business or allowed to operate as a company.

Kay Jewelers expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Kay is a jewelry company owned by Signet Jewelers that was founded in 1916, and the company is headquartered in Fairlawn, Ohio. It is one of America's biggest jewelry store chains with retail stores located in large shopping malls, and it also offers customers online shopping for a range of jewelry products.

• Design-a-ring: Kay lets customers design their own rings so they can ensure their wedding or engagement rings are unique.

• Personalization services: The company personalizes jewelry for customers, including adding monograms or engraving special messages into jewelry pieces to make them one of a kind or tailored for a specific person.

• Style finder: Customers can take advantage of Kay's Style Finder, which helps them find the right jewelry product they are buying as a gift or for themselves.

• Extended service plan: The company provides customers who purchase and own their jewelry a number of services, and by purchasing an extended service plan, these customers can take advantage of the jewelers' services for the life of the product. These services include cleaning, repair, watch tuning, damage checks, refurbishment and more.

• Credit options: Kay offers customers credit options to help them finance their purchases.

• Best for: Couples getting engaged and customers looking to buy a luxury gift.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs