1.37/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

557 Kay Jewelers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

My fiance has a Kay's card. We love shopping for jewelry with Kay's always great product. However, the customer service seems to be slipping so much so that we have decided to no longer return to Kay for our jewelry needs. Reason being - every time we have gone in since my engagement ring was purchased we have been encouraged to spend our $500 Kay bucks. We were told it expired May 2019 by Pam... Then when my fiance went back to get a Valentine's gift he was informed that it expired just days before??? We are so frustrated with this. How can someone look at our account and see that we have credit of $500 and misread the date?? Talk about incompetence. With that being said we have decided to start shopping locally.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I returned a jewelry item that I was displeased with on the same day I purchased it and 2 months later, I’ve not received my credit. Furthermore, this error has impacted the details of my credit with all three credit reporting bureaus and that it’s showing I owe a higher amount on my available credit and interest is still accruing.

Get expert buying tips about Jewelry Stores delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Like others I tried to make an online purchase. It failed said to try again. I tried again and it went through. Checking my bank account I saw that Kay had charged my account twice for the same order with the same order number. Called customer service they said they would do nothing about it and the charge would go away. Without thinking I let it sit and this might be my fault, but when the life insurance went through I got popped with a NSF charge thank you. No some days later Order Placed on February 2nd, I talked to customer service on the 2nd as well all was supposed to be fine. Now it's the 13th the day I was to get my order, and guess what, It says the order is pending. Now it cleared my band on the 6th so there is now holdup on my end.

Customer service says they will have to contact the web sales department, and get this "they will have to call me because that department does not have phones!” I stopped buying from them when I was told the earrings they checked for me was about to fall apart by the manager. Who also told me the warranty was no longer good. You know, that lifetime one you get suckered into. I'm sure he didn't know that I have a better microscope than they do and when I took them back home to look at them I could not get the diamonds to move at all with either a dental pick or spring hook. So I no longer will with buy from them online or at Triangle Town center.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I tried to order a mother's ring on their website on Saturday, they did a pre-auth on my bank account but the order never went through. I had to wait for that to fall off and went into the store and spoke to the manager and she tried to place the order on the website and got the same message I got Saturday. So she calls customer service and they tell her it's something with the website not accepting my debit card, so they told her for me to purchase a gift card and place the order that way. I specifically asked her if they were going to charge me twice since she ran my debit card again at the register this time not through the website, she told me absolutely not since the debit card wasn't accepted in the website, I said OK.

I went out to my car, checked my account and THEY DID RUN MY CARD TWICE!!! I went into the store and confronted the manager and asked for their corporate number, she gave me customer service number and she had no explanation as to what happened with the website and offered no apologies or nothing!!! This is the WORST STORE EVER and I will NEVER BE RETURNING TO THEM EVER AGAIN. I will go to a more established jewelry store than this heap of crap!!!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

We bought my enhancer for my engagement ring in 2014. The sales person said once the ring was soldered the first warranty applied. Paid off the ring in 2015. Been taking in every 6 months actually every 3 months because the stones keep falling out. Well this last time 5 years later they say stones are loose in the enhancer and we have no coverage on the prongs etc. I called their corporate office to get records. Don't go back that far. They also send me a new credit card with the new logo. Same day I get the card they cancel it. When I call to ask about that they say "I could not verify my address." THEY MAILED ME THE CARD! This caused a hit on my credit report also. The repair service with them will make a killing without a warranty. 6 times had to fix the original ring. I don't trust them to work on it anymore. I took elsewhere and will never buy anything from them again. I was a loyal customer and bought numerous things through them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kay Jewelers?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Bought a 6500 ring. They said they could size it later once we were ready because I wanted to hide it for the big day. Everything went great, so we brought the LEO ring and they sent it out to be sized. (Never did they say anything about a sizing issue at the time it was sent to a 3rd party vendor). The ring is gone a month, and they call to say it can't be sized and we need to order you a new ring. Now not only do I have no idea what ring and quality they are sending, it now will take 2 full months longer for the ring to be done.

They will not compensate me nor will customer service rush it because they say they cannot do that with their "leo" rings. This was the worst experience I have ever had. No one seems to help. The manager VJ said it wasn't HIS fault so I am out of luck. I would never ever buy from there again!!! They have disappointed my fiance and myself. Once they get the sale they wash their hands of you. This company has personally caused me emotional distress and terrible regret for ever giving them my hard earned!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I would not recommend Kay Jewelers to anyone looking to resize a sterling silver ring. My experience was a huge waste of time and could have easily been avoided. Upon entering the store I asked, "Do you resize sterling silver rings?" I was told, “Yes.” It took them three weeks to realize that they do not in fact size sterling silver. No one called or emailed me (despite my being told multiple times that they would do so) and when we finally called and discovered it was ready to pick up, the store associates didn't realize that the ring had never been resized... We had already paid for the ring by the time they realized it, so they had to refund us our money. An associate was then able to recommend a local jeweler to us and called over to make sure they were open and could take care of us that day.

We appreciated the referral but were frustrated with the level of incompetence and three weeks of time we wasted because of the lack of communication between the store and the repair shop. In addition, the level of customer service provided in store was woefully inadequate, even on a busy day, which it was not. As someone who has worked in the retail customer service setting myself, I was taken aback by the utter lack of effort by anyone in the store to be friendly or respectful to me as a customer: Associates talked over me to each other about non-work related things, the associate who I worked with submitted the wrong size on the work order, so had to completely resubmit everything after I pointed out her error, and her demeanor generally screamed, 'I would rather be anywhere else but helping you right now.' I definitely will never go back to Kay by choice for any reason whatsoever.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I bought a ring for my wife on our anniversary (about 3 months ago). At the time of purchase, they said the gemstones were protected under their lifetime guarantee: "We will replace, free of charge, any diamond, emerald, ruby or sapphire covered by this guarantee if it chips, breaks, or is lost from its original setting during normal wear." Well, guess what? The ring's diamond fell off during normal wear and when I took it there to replace it, I was charged for it, almost 1/3 of the original price of the ring. I am extremely disappointed with this very deceitful business practice and will not buy there again.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I had an absolutely terrible experience. Do not go to the store if you have kids or want to be treated as a person. I went to the Staten Island Mall location to look for a couple of pieces with my two boys. My younger son was fascinated with the telescope in the front of the store. While I was looking at the Jewelry a woman approached him not to touch it. Confused as to why she would not just tell me I proceeded to tell my son not to touch it. Then I turned my attention to continuing to look at the jewelry. A few minutes later I see a woman (Rabia) frustrated approaching my son, I told her that I will address my son and she proceeded to approach him telling me with attitude that he is still touching it.

I was upset at her disrespectful approach and attitude and decided to leave the store. I went back to the location to speak to her to let her know that she could of handled herself differently and should of approached me first not my son. She proceeded to tell me with attitude, "how many times do people need to tell you before you look after your child. That's an expensive piece of equipment and I would of needed to replace it if he damaged it". If she would of informed me that my son touched the telescope again I would of held his hand or had him sit down. He is autistic and was fascinated with it. Not every parent can always leave their child in order to shop. She should be more understanding and professional. Also when I asked to speak to her privately she would not move away from her co-workers. Her attitude was completely not necessary. Please do not go to this store if you have children or if Rabia is there.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I ordered a bridal set on 1-4-19. I paid extra for it to be here on 1-15 because I was getting married on 1-18. They printed a label for the ring on 1-12 to be shipped but it never went anywhere after that. The customer service was horrendous. Nice people, absolutely no help. They said that the post office never picked it up. Next person said UPS had it. I was told they would find the order and overnight it and then refund my shipping. If it wasn’t found, they would put out a critical search to find it. A lot of drama later, it was never marked as critical and they said that they never said they would refund my shipping.

I’ve been told 2 business days for a resolution. Each person gives a different answer. I’ve heard 2 days, 3-5 days, 5-7 days, and 8-10 days. Every time I ask for a manager they divert and refuse to let me speak to one. Now they’re billing me for something I have already paid a down payment on and I don’t even have it. No one will help. Never shopping here again. Now, I’m getting married with no ring.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I bought a necklace from the Kay store in Rosenberg Tx in May of 2018, well on Jan 8th I took it to a friend of mine that works in a pawnshop to clean my husband necklace. I told her to test it to make sure it was real. Well come to find out she told me the necklace must be plated because it was sticking to the magnet that they used, so I left from there and went to another pawnshop where I didn't know anyone to see if my friend was correct, well the young man at that pawnshop told me the same thing... Necklace is gold plated not 10k. Then I took it in to the Kay store and the young lady said she would send it to corporate so they could test it. Well now it has arrived at the store and they're telling me it's real just hollow. But I do not want this necklace or anything else from Kay Jewelers anymore or ever because it's not real. It's plate.

I called corporate and spoke to 2 woman and they both said I couldn't get a refund because it was way past my 90 days, which I don't understand. If I knew it was a plated gold chain I would of never bought it, but one of the young ladies said, "Well you should have did your research after you bought it because like I said you only have 90 days for a refund..." Well to me why would I have to do research on jewelry when I bought it at well known jewelry store... I don't want anything from the store just my money have put towards this purchase. I will never refer anyone to buy jewelry from there and of course I'm stuck only because I have to continue to make these payments on the necklace 'cause I do not want to ruin my credit!!!!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

We bought our wedding ring 25 days in advance and when I was picked up, my wedding ring came in the wrong size with 5 days before for the wedding and the seller said that I can not do anything before my wedding date, this would have to marry a bigger wedding ring then return in the store to stay without a wedding ring for 15 days and then have to go search it again. I was extremely disappointed with the lack of solution and little case of the shop in solving the problem in time. Summing up I paid for another store to do the correct size and had no refund for that. I do not recommend purchase from this store, which is not cheap at all, let alone with good service to solve my case.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

We got my engagement ring on 1-1-19. A double halo pear shaped rose gold Neil lane engagement ring. Center stone is 1/2 carat. Total weight is 1 1/4 carat. The sales representative was able to get me a discount to get me under the $4000.00 credit line I had with Kay, but I was unable to afford the ESP at that time. He did tell me I had 14 days from the date of purchase to come back and buy if I wanted. He also told me to keep an eye out for any upcoming sales as they would do their best to match the sales price if it was within 60 days of purchase. Lo and behold, on the 9th if January, Kay’s ran a 20% off all engagement and wedding jewelry. As instructed, I took my ring, receipt, and all original packaging back to the Eastland Mall Bloomington Il store and the manager and her staff were more than accommodating. I was able to get my ring at the 20% off price and purchase the ESP and still come in 191$ under my original purchase price. She cleaned and inspected the ring, gave me my refund to my card and I was out the door in les than 15 minutes. I see so many terrible reviews about Kay....I have had nothing but good experiences so far.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I purchased a mother’s ring from Kay. I paid $485. The peridot came out of the ring and was lost. I took it back to Wilkes-Barre store where I purchased it to inquire about getting it replaced. They sent it to their repair shop for an estimate and after a few weeks, I was told that it would be cheaper to buy a new ring! Hmmm a peridot was going to cost more than the ring? No way!

I called Kay’s Customer Care to report it and the customer service representative confirmed that there has been issues with this location before. After giving the rep my customer order number, she was able to tell me that the warranty on the ring covered diamonds, sapphires and rubies which I thought was interesting. The store was not able to tell me this and they had the same information. Once I finally got the ring back from the repair shop, I took it to a local jeweler and they replaced the peridot for $49!!! Yes $49! I will never go back to Kay Jewelers! Every “kiss” does not begin with Kay!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

My fiancée purchased a tennis bracelet for me on 12/27/18 using cash as form of payment. After receiving the bracelet I decided I didn’t like how it fit or the quality of this bracelet so I proceed to go return the bracelet on 1/3/18 with receipt and bracelet in its original packaging only to be told that this multi-million dollar jewelry store cannot refund me $215.00 due to not having that much cash in register!! I proceed to ask if she could just put my refund on my debit card and she states “NO” because that’s not what form of payment I used to purchase the item.

Ok but you obviously can’t reimburse me with the form of payment I used (cash) so she tells me the only way she refund me is with a check from their corporate office, which will be mailed to me within 5-7 business day, so with me not quite understanding this policy I contact Kay’s corporate office only to be told the same information by a “supervisor” in the corporate office and she also stated to me with an attitude “if I’m not mistaken the receipt has the store return policy on it," which I in return stated, "Yes it does have the return policy on the receipt but nowhere’s does it state if paying with cash we won’t be able to pay you with cash but you will have to wait 5-7 business days for our corporate office to mail you a check!"

I’m very curious as to why they're still able to be in business. When you look at the reviews on website 90% is horrible, unprofessional and scamming reviews that were wrote on this company. This was my first and last experience with this place and any of their affiliate companies! Someone needs to open an investigation on this entire corporation!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Wife and I went to the Kay Jewelers Outlet store in Charlotte NC on 12/12/2018. Purchased a ring that my wife picked out. The ring needed sized so the clerk sized it and gave us a pickup list for 12/24. Great. It would be in before Christmas. Wrong. They call on 12/31 to pick up. We went in, tried the ring. Too small. This clerk asked us we gave the size. When we said no she asked my wife if she ate salt that morning. They sized it again and sent out (rush supposedly). Told us that it would be in Friday. That didn’t happen. We told them that we would like to take to another jewelry store for sizing. She said we would lose warranty. I told my Wife Merry Christmas 2019. By the time we get her ring the warranty would probably have ran out. Go to another Jewelry Store.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I go into the Vero Beach FL store a week before Christmas. They make a mistake with my card. I go back next day they assure me my kid's jewelry will go out next day service. Two day before Christmas I go back to the store to find out why my kids never got their gift... That's right you guessed it. They never shipped it. They forgot to tell me it would be shipped overnight January 1 when the piece was ready... I know they can care less but they ruin my kid’s Christmas and I will never buy from them again.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Kay Jewelers' customer service is average. I did not get accurate information regarding warranties but the jewelry is good quality and lasts. I will shop here again. There often is not enough sales associates to get help right away but getting credit here is an easy and simple process.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Kay Jewelers is a rip off... My husband and I both called Kay Jeweler in November 2018 for the payoff amount... They gave us the amount. We send a cashier's check to pay off our account. December 22, 2018 I got a bill in the mail... I called Kays... talked to a representative about my bill. The lady Ashley told my husband and I that they was a bank and they don't take interest off when you pay your account off early... She said we still owed the X amount... we told her she would be talking to our lawyer and Ashley said,"If that's what you want to do..." Kay Jeweler has lost a customer... We spent about $10,000.00 in that store... I will tell people not to shop there. Kays don't care about their customers!!!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Ordered earrings that my wife wanted for Christmas online with Kay Jewelers as I believed (falsely) that their reputation was very good. I even paid for expedited 2nd day delivery (15.95). Four days later (yesterday) I got an email that my order had been canceled. The email was sent at 11:24 p.m. I called customer service this morning, and waited on the phone 20 minutes to get a very affable CSR rep who "apologized for my trouble", and that they "could not source my order" in the 4 days. The apology is irrelevant to me, because now it is the Saturday before Christmas (Tuesday) and I'm not sure what to do.

If the item was unavailable, the website should have indicated "OUT OF STOCK" or I should have been sent an email, indicating that they were trying to find more of the item. Since I ordered on Monday December 17th, this would have allowed me more options or at least the opportunity to look elsewhere for my wife's present. Thanks a lot, Kay. I won't be using you any time soon.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Thanks to Kay I get no Christmas gift. My husband went into a store and what he wanted wasn't in that store so the associate supposedly placed the order for it online for him in the store and two weeks later still no ring. He calls and they have no record of the sale. He paid cash so that will be fun to try to get back. They did absolutely nothing to try to make this situation right. They don't care about their customers at all, not our first bad experience with Kay but will be our last.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

(This company doesn't even deserve one star.) I've heard a lot of great things about Kay Jewelers and was even suggested to go here. I wanted to get my mom a mother's ring for Christmas so I went online and personalized the perfect ring for her. I filled everything out that was needed and ordered the ring. It came back saying it was unable to read my card so the order was unable to go through with my purchase. I waited a couple minutes and tried again thinking the website might be having technical difficulties, it came back and said the same thing. I went to the store the next day to see if they could help me work my problem out, unfortunately they had the same problem and did nothing further to try to solve my problem. The next day I went into my bank thinking there may have been a problem with my card and that's where many problems were found.

Not only was there one transaction but there were three from where the guy tried my card at the store and there was a hold on the transaction I recently made the first night and the money had been taken from my account. My banker told me I needed to get a hold of them cause they made a mistake and needed to fix it. So I went back online to find the number to customer service and found an online chat that is offered. I went on there explaining my issue and waited for a staff member to get back with me which didn't take too long. She took my name and email so she could search what was going on or if there was actually an order, unfortunately there was none and that was the end of the conversation which didn't help me at all. I then proceed to call the customer service line, and waited almost ten minutes on hold before speaking to someone.

The guy finally answered the phone in a very nonfriendly way, he was very snappy/sassy and very rude. He kept repeating himself and talking in circles not helping me at all and said there was nothing they could do because it was on my bank and not them and I would have to wait 5 to 8 days before I got my money back from them. So I went back to my bank the next day and explained to my banker what happened and what was said. He ended up calling and getting a claim put on the transaction from Kay so they would not screw me over. He also called the customer service line again himself to try to figure out what was going on. They still didn't do anything to help, but my banker told me the claim should take 24 to 48 hours.

24 hours later I finally got my money back in my account but I still have no ring for my mom and now I have to rush around five days before Christmas to finish my shopping and find my mom a new present due to this "hold" on my card that took my money I was unable to use. Point of the story I will never shop at Kay's nor will I ever suggest anyone to go there again. I've convinced my personal banker, dad, grandma, and a couple other family members to not shop here again and there will be plenty more after I spread the word. This is ridiculous and I do not want anyone else to have this same experience ever.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

My husband bought me a 14k gold round stone engagement ring with total of 16 diamonds in October 2016. It has been 2.3 years that I have had this ring on my finger. I rarely take it off except when I go in to have it inspected. It still looks gorgeous and none of the stones are loose or have fallen out. I have never had a problem with Kay's yet and hope it stays that way!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I recently purchased an engagement ring for my girlfriend. Greatest day of my life! The ring not even on her finger for a week the stone falls out! Store offers a replacement. Upon me inspecting this replacement I notice the stone is placed crooked so I tell the jeweler and they say "Really?" And they proceeded to inspect it under the magnifying glass and say, "Wow! It is!" Now I see this without a magnifying glass? So I say, "I'm not taking this ring. Please send mine out to be repaired and sized." A week and a half later it's finally in so I have to call them and the women tells me, "It might be in. We've had a lot of boxes come in but we've been swamped! So we haven't had a chance to look through them but when I get to them I'll let you know if it's in!"

A day later! "Yes the ring has arrived but we're not happy with the placement of the stone so we're sending it back out, the ring will be back on Tuesday!" Now almost 2 weeks upon purchasing! Call on Tuesday. "The ring will be here on Thursday." I promise I will never ever purchase anything from Kay, Jared, Zales or another Signet Jewelers company and be sure I will write as many reviews about my horrible account with this company and their employees and how my engagement was pretty much ruined because a multi billion dollar company chooses to sell an inferior product to its supposedly valued customers.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

My experience fabulous. Good quality stones. Very happy with my purchase. Love my ring. No problems with stones. I would purchase more jewelry. They were so helpful and got a beautiful one carat diamond that I am very happy with.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Eye catching pieces but not a wide variety. But their item showcased many available some quite reasonably priced. Not for the person shopping for unique pieces but overall nicely displayed and salespeople ready available to assist you.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I purchased a 14K gold diamond and emerald ring while we were in ST Kitts. Alex the person that sold me the ring assured me that the ring was 14K and the emerald and diamonds were real. I did not check the inside of the ring to see what was stamped in it. My receipt states 14K gold. I was cleaning the ring only to find out that the ring is not 14K gold. It is 10K gold. This makes me unsure if the diamonds, and emerald is real or not. Trying to get someone to talk to me about this. Not sure about the outcome.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

NOT KAY JEWELERS. www.kay.com. I urge all considering a jewelry purchase to do research in customer satisfaction with jewelry quality and durability before shopping at SIGNET JEWELRY COMPANIES, and many mall jewelers are their subsidiaries. If you are interested, here is my experience at Kay Jewelers: beautiful duplicate engagement rings purchased Feb 2016 with warranty. Small stone falls out of mine Aug 2017. Repair. Same stone falls out 3 days later. Repair. Same stone falls out a week later. Repair. This is a pattern. Store manager at Eastwood Mall Kay Jewelers suggests ring may be defective. Tries to get duplicate ring. Discontinued. He gets them to agree to make new ring in my size, tells me they will put my 3 big diamond in newly cast ring. Ring comes in to store in wrong size. New ring is made. It comes to store missing same stone my original ring keeps losing!

Now I am told this new ring cannot have my original diamonds added because it will ruin the strength of the ring. I feel lied to for months. I feel like I have wasted several trips to the store. I have lost hours upon hours discussing this in person and on the phone with store people and Signet customer service rep who was never helpful. Rep offers me to select new ring. I don’t want new ring because I have matching ring with spouse and my diamonds are not only nicer but sentimental since they symbolize our marriage. The only compensation I am offered is a $200 gift card which is insulting to me so I refuse. This process took around SIX MONTHS! I think about contacting an attorney but decide to wait and see how my ring holds up.

Fast forward to November 2018. Small stone falls out of ring and large stone is loose. I take to Eastwood Mall Kay’s for repair. Store manager (who is different from before) writes up repair. I include a rhodium dip on both engagement and wedding ring along with repair so I don’t have to be without ring at a later date. I check repair slip for accuracy. My rings come back SOLDERED TOGETHER WHICH I DID NOT ASK FOR, DESIRE, NOR AUTHORIZE. As of today, 11-29-18, my rings are being sent back to be UNSOLDERED. I am concerned about them damaging them and the integrity of the rings. I was told store manager made the mistake by other store employees. I don’t know who to believe. I have called the Kay’s complaint line again.

Update: 12/4/18: Ring came back...but it didn’t come home with me. Not good. There are gouges in the shank of each ring after being unsoldered. The smaller band is malformed with hump and gouges. Do they check their work? Do they have pride in workmanship? Both of my rings are being sent back to repair again... Employees at Eastwood very pleasant. Manager wrote a personal note to the head jeweler, Bill, requesting he do the work. Also, someone from customer care left a message, unknowing that the work was shoddy. I am super disappointed and let down. Tired from feeling the emotion, honestly.

Now, I am looking at not having my wedding ring back until Dec. 18. I’ve been without it since mid November... This time employees say, “we’ll make it right...restore your faith...compensate.” How? A friend of mine received more care and compensation when she ran into issues with a sectional couch that cost less than 1/2 of this jewelry symbolic of our forever union that she ordered from Macy’s. I feel like this company doesn’t mean what they say. Words are easy... What about the many trips (for nothing) after work I’ve made to the mall, the hours on the phone, etc? Sorry is not enough. What’s going on with Kay.com and Signet Jewelers?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I have lost three diamonds out of my Leo ring in the past three years. We just spent the morning arguing with them about a diamond that is missing now. Apparently when they ask you at the store if you want them to "take a look at the ring", it does not mean they are inspecting it!!! What else would "take a look at the ring" mean? Seriously very upset at this point because they are saying that they will not honor their contract because it was not an inspection. In addition, we had very poor service in the store to explain all this. The 'store manager' laughed at my husband and mocked him. Then when I called, she pretty much told me I was stupid over the phone. What the heck happened to good customer service? We paid cash for this ring and it was not cheap!!!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

My husband bought my ring at Kay Jewelers in 2016. Since then we have gone back to the store multiple times, none of which times have ever been a quick trip. Routine cleaning and inspection at the six-month mark takes an inordinately long time. However this is not the reason for my poor rating. When my diamond was sent out for re-dipping and engraving just prior to my wedding, the store was unable to verify using the photographs taken that the diamond was the same one in my ring before it was sent out as when it arrived back in store. This was due to a combination of poor photography on the way out and also the photography was not done in our presence when we arrived back in the store to pick it up and the photographs provided did not match but this was not brought to our attention.

After we alerted the staff to the problem They kept my ring for approximately a week and a half while trying to determine a means of convincingly determining it was our diamond. The store manager who helped us was honest that he could not do so and ultimately the company line was that they could neither confirm nor deny that the diamond was the same and offered to swap it for another diamond of the same quality as the original diamond purchased if we would like. However hypothetically if this was our original Original diamond then such a swap would be of no benefit and actually make the situation worse. The store manager acknowledge this and offered to have our Diamond inscribed with a special tracking number but that would take about 45 days and we were getting married very soon so we need to delay the process.

Flash Forward to six months later at our next ring inspection and of course this quality manager does not work at Kay anymore. The staff on hand remember the situation however and honor his offered to do the inscribing but again do not feel confident taking a picture of the ring on its way out the door due to the same alleged problem with the scope that takes the photo as occurred six months ago. They cannot offer any timeline for when this will be photographed or when this will be fixed and say it's a corporate level decision when to fix the camera.

They are also resistant to me being referred to another store with a properly working camera and cannot offer any explanation as to how they have been conducting business all this time if their equipment is not working properly. So many different versions of exclamations have been provided it's crazy. The bottom line is something really fishy is going on at Kay Jewelers and I can't recommend this store, to anyone strangers or not. Save yourself the lifetime of heartache and frustration… If you buy a ring from Kay you have to see them every six months for the life of the peace if you want them to honor the warranty.

Kay Jewelers expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Kay is a jewelry company owned by Signet Jewelers that was founded in 1916, and the company is headquartered in Fairlawn, Ohio. It is one of America's biggest jewelry store chains with retail stores located in large shopping malls, and it also offers customers online shopping for a range of jewelry products.

• Design-a-ring: Kay lets customers design their own rings so they can ensure their wedding or engagement rings are unique.

• Personalization services: The company personalizes jewelry for customers, including adding monograms or engraving special messages into jewelry pieces to make them one of a kind or tailored for a specific person.

• Style finder: Customers can take advantage of Kay's Style Finder, which helps them find the right jewelry product they are buying as a gift or for themselves.

• Extended service plan: The company provides customers who purchase and own their jewelry a number of services, and by purchasing an extended service plan, these customers can take advantage of the jewelers' services for the life of the product. These services include cleaning, repair, watch tuning, damage checks, refurbishment and more.

• Credit options: Kay offers customers credit options to help them finance their purchases.

• Best for: Couples getting engaged and customers looking to buy a luxury gift.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs