Kay Jewelers

Compare Jewelry Stores

Research top Jewelry Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I bought a watch at Kay Jewelers. I am not happy with the color of the watch. The sales person led me to believe this is the only shade the watch comes in. My husband bought the watch for a Christmas present for me. The sales person asked me if I would like it sized to fit my wrist., I agreed. She did not inform me this would void a return. As we continued to walk in the mall, we saw the same watch at Zales only it was a much more vibrant blue and I fell in love with it.

The next morning I tried to return the original watch(I had the watch less than 24 hours) they accused me of scratching the watch and since the watch had been altered they could not take it back. I called customer service and they proved to be useless. She said that she would arrange for a return and call me back. Surprisingly I never heard from her again, I tried to call her several times, my husband tried to call her and she will not return any of our calls. I am very disappointed in Kay Jewelers, obviously I will never shop there again but I will spread the word through social media. Shame on you Kay!

I went to Jared Jewelers in the Loop and was ignored for an hour! I left and went to Kay Jewelers in the Loop and was immediately greeted by Lily and Beatrice with the most beautiful smiles. They took the time to show me various pieces and options - the result? I left after spending a little more than I intended, but feeling that I had received the best customer service ever! This is a also compliment to the Management for employing people who really care. Thank you Lily and Beatrice - you are the best!

On June 21st, 2015, I went to Kay Jewelers looking for a new setting for my 1.67 pink diamond. The Diamond was purchased at one of our locally owned stores, that has been a part of our community for over 30 years. But, because my mom had always had positive things to say about Kay, I decided to give them a try... What a HUGE mistake this was. I paid $3600.00 for the setting my diamond was going to be placed in. When I received my ring, I noticed that my diamond looked different. I just thought it was because it was in a much larger setting... A week later, one of the prongs came off of my center stone, to which I had to take it back in, and they had to send it off. It really bothered me that they don't even have an "in house" jeweler... I told them repeatedly, that I was very uncomfortable with them shipping my diamond through the mail, but they ASSURED me, that it would be fine.

So I get my ring back 2 weeks later, and it is STILL LOOSE, and my diamond still looks different. So, today, I took my ring back to the jeweler that I originally bought it from. He proceeds to tell me, that when they soldered the ring together, that it altered my color enhanced diamond. It literally blew most of the pink right out of the stone. So, we now have to send my ring to New York, to have my diamond fixed. When I called today and explained to them what had happened, they said they have a "special department" that deals with those issues. Are you kidding me? You make so many BIG mistakes that you have an actual department for that? I WILL NEVER GO THERE AGAIN. I will never recommend them to anyone, and I certainly wouldn't spend hard earned money on crappy products. BUYER BEWARE. So I now have a "case" number and should receive a call in the next 24 to 48 hours.

Buy from your local jeweler. They've been around so long for a reason. I don't know how Kay actually stays in business. I've never had anything this beautiful. So when my husband told me to go look at rings years ago, I saw this diamond. And it was stupid expensive. So when I got home, I told him that when he went to look, to just LOOK at this diamond, because I had never seen a pink diamond. I just wanted him to see how pretty it was. NEVER in a MILLION years, did I think he would place that ring on my finger 6 months later. So when I asked him WHY he spent so much, he told me it was because I deserved something really beautiful in this life. This Diamond has huge sentimental value to me. He paid for it outright. Saved every last dime he had, to buy me THIS ring. So thank you, Kay Jewelers, for screwing up my diamond.

I will never purchase anything from Kay Jewelers in store or online ever again, after being treated so rudely! It's Christmas time, and I was tossing the idea around of buying my stepdaughter a ring for a gift. Nothing outrageously expensive, but wanted to purchase something nice that didn't look cheap. I decided to look online and see if I could take advantage of their Christmas deals/sales that they were promoting. I found a really cute ring, silver with small round diamond stones around a much larger amethyst round stone. It looked really expensive from the picture online, and the price was right because it was on sale. They were also offering free next day shipping. I was a little hesitant to purchase it at first, being that I did not see it in person, but was reassured after reading the great reviews about this ring. So I went against my better judgment and purchased it anyway. Thankfully I had it sent to me first, and not shipped directly to my stepdaughter.

I didn't receive the ring till a week later. I was a little baffled as I was under the impression the ring would be shipped the next day per their online deal. No biggie, as I still received it before Christmas and could mail it off to her and she would also still get it before Christmas. When I opened up the box to look at the ring, I wasn't impressed at all, the ring looked cheap. Not to mention a big old sticker wrapped around the ring band that said "Made in China". I couldn't believe that they would ship out jewelry like that and leave that sticker on. Very tacky, and not a gift I would dare give anyone with a sticker as such attached to it, especially a ring from a well known jewelry store. I decided to return the ring and took it into the Kay jewelry store in my hometown to do so. And... this is where the real problem begins.

I walk into the store (mind you it's still before Christmas). Only 2 sales ladies on the floor. Both helping other customers. Not a problem, I'll patiently wait my turn. At this time, I'm the 1st in line waiting to be helped, no other customers in the store except us 3. One of the sales associates greets me. I tell her "I'm here to do a return". She then gives me a sour look and tells me, "the other associate has to help you with that because it's a return and I'm not authorized to do it". The associate (that's going to do the return) then tells me to have a seat, she'll be with me shortly and after she's done with the customer she's with. Not a problem.

20 minutes pass, and I'm still patiently waiting. The 2 associates are still with the same customers.

By this time, 5 other customers have come into the store. Another 15 min pass and as we're all standing around waiting to be helped, one of the customers says, "wow! It's Christmas, you would think they'd have more people working at this time (you'd think right?!?)". A little while later, another associate pops her head out from behind the back of the store and was almost going to turn around and go right back behind the store, until one of the associates on the floor tells her she needs to come out and help because they're busy. It's now my turn to be helped.

She apologizes and says she was on her lunch break. I tell her I'm doing a return, she says "I've never done an online return but I will try to figure it out". After 10 minutes she can't figure it out and calls upon the sales associate that was originally supposed to do my return in the first place. By this time, that associate is almost done with the customer she was helping when I had first walked into the store. What does she do? Ignores the associate that's helping me and needing her help with my return, and starts helping the customer that came in "after" me. Associate calls her over again, she again ignores her. Now this associate asks me if I could step on the side and wait for that associate, cause she cannot do anything for me and needs to help the other customers that have been waiting. Now I'm getting a little upset!

1 out of the 5 customers that came in after me leaves cause the wait is too long for them and says so. The associate that was helping me tells that customer to go to Zales, maybe he can find something there if he doesn't want to wait (I'm assuming they're a sister company? If not, yikes!) Associate that was supposed to help me originally still has not come over, associate that was helping me, now moves on to another customer... I'm still standing there and I was the first one in line!

I had it and finally say something! The associate that was helping me and couldn't, says "I'm sorry, I'm calling her over here to help me but she's busy with other customers right now"! I said "are you freakin kidding me?!? She's ignoring you and helping customers that came in AFTER me!" What is going on here? Assuming she's trying to ease my anger or stall time, looks at the ring I'm returning and says, "why are you returning it? It's a beautiful ring". I tell her "I don't like it, it's not what I expected" and tell her about the tacky sticker that was attached to it on top of not liking the ring. She looks at me and curtly says "if you don't know, everything is made in China!"

I'm well aware of that fact, but I surely don't expect to receive a ring with a big sticker on it saying so. I go on to say, "if it's not a big deal, then why don't you guys just leave those stickers on the rings that are displayed in your store? You know why you don't, cause it's tacky and off putting and some customers would probably not purchase a ring from your store." Finally, the associate that was supposed to originally help me, and apparently is the only one that can, or knows how to do an online return comes over to help me. Only after "everyone" in the store that came in after me has been helped and is long gone.

I voiced my anger to her immediately! I also told her, the only reason why I went from being the 1st in line to the last in line to receive assistance is because I was doing a "return" and NOT purchasing something! Had I been in there to buy something, she would've been up my behind. She then had the nerve and audacity to tell me, that I was being helped in the appropriate order and unfortunately I was the last customer who came into the store. I couldn't believe what I was hearing and lost it! I told her "you are lying and you know it! I was the first one in here besides the 2 customers that was being helped already when I walked in." She could've cared less, didn't even apologize to me for even waiting as long as I had to, nothing!

She did the return and I asked her for the store managers name and business card. She says "I'm the assistant manager". I said "first off I asked you for the "managers" info, secondly, you're an assistant manager and you treat your customers like this?" Unbelievable, just unbelievable! Never again will I buy anything from this store, and I have in the past, not anymore after this!

I have never had to encounter a more unprofessional company. Firstly, the process in which Kay Jewelers completes orders in store and online makes no sense. When going into the store the employees complete an online order just as you would if you were at home. Doesn't that defeat the purpose? Additionally, shipping to the store does not occur within the time frame that you are provided. These are all cons of ordering with Kay.

However, my main issue occurred on 12/17/16. I placed an order on the Kay online website for a Christmas gift for my husband. After completing the online purchase and providing my personal account for the 20% deposit that Kay requires from my personal account, shortly after, I was notified that I could not use my Kay account. Mind you, I have been paying on my account monthly for three previous purchases and had a substantial amount remaining to cover my purchase. I called the number provided to speak to customer service about this. At this time, I was informed that my account had been closed as they run a separate credit approval when you make a purchase. I do not understand what the purpose of this "separate credit check" is and would not recommend that anyone shop with this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kay Jewelers?

I've never had a more horrific experience in ANY business that compares to what Christi ** who represented herself as the manager was so disrespectful. Tasha ** has been in a never-ending issue with the replacement of a ring that Kay Jewelers destroyed. As a customer she's approached the proper channels going through the store, customer service, etc. Only to be completely disrespected by the manager Christi when she inquired into the status of an issue that happened as a result of Kay Jewelers compromising the integrity of her ring. The ring has been on order for months allegedly.

She was told that it was on order then told it was never ordered then that as Christi rudely told Tasha ** that it had been ordered and received two days ago but she would not receive it per her phone call with customer service and walked away. There was no resolve. Tasha was told she could choose another ring but she would not receive the ring she reordered that Kay Jewelers destroyed. We're still here but she's refused to assist us! Why is that?

I had waited many years to afford the luxury of buying myself a pair of diamond earrings. I am 60. I chose a very nice pair that were on sale for 139.00. They even matched a ring I was wearing at the time. I was very happy with them. I asked the saleslady what the posts were made. I told her I can only wear solid gold or solid silver... She responded, "Oh these posts are made of solid silver. You are in luck." So I made the purchase and actually put them in while I was in the store... Within probably half an hour they started to bother me. I figured it was just because maybe the posts were a little larger than the earrings I had been wearing and they would be ok.

I put alcohol on my ears when I got home and wore them 12 hours a day for the next 4 days. Each day my ears got worse... red. Puffed up... and itchy. I decided I had made a mistake and would have to bring them back. I had a sneaking suspicion they were not silver. I took them back to the Kay Jewelers store and the Kay manager was very smug with me. I asked him what are these posts made of... He told me silver, nickel and I can't remember what else. I told him I was told by his salesperson they were 100% silver and I am allergic to them and I want to return them. Then he told me, "You are probably allergic to nickel." I told him, "No kidding... That's why I asked what they were made of before I bought them."

He then tried to sell me every other kind of earring in the store and I finally told him, "No, I don't trust you any more. You were not honest with me the first time so I will not buy any more jewelry here." He said, "OK, I will refund your money or I can give you a gift card." I said, "You are kidding right?? Put the money back on my Visa please." He got the point and did what I asked and stopped playing around and I will not be going back... I don t understand why they would use JUNK METALS in their settings... Do they want someone's finger to turn green?? Is profit the only thing they care about... Don't they want their customers for life?? I really don't understand...

Cannot believe Kay Jewelers screwed up the repair on my tanzanite ring again! This time the ring was totally redesigned and doesn't even look like my ring anymore. All they had to do was replace a stone that fell out (this is the third or fourth time this has had to be done and each time they've screwed up the prongs) and repair the prongs (again) instead the stones are now channel set and the top of the ring is totally different. It wasn't an expensive ring but has tons of sentimental value to me. I just want it right and the way it was before they messed with it.?? Don't know if the damage can be repaired.

I have been a Kay's customer since I bought my wife her engagement ring 9 years ago. I have purchased, a couple of Leo items and watches off and on over those years. Today, I went into a Kay's store and saw another Leo ring that I really examined, inspected and verified the laser numbering on the ring. I wasn't just window shopping, I was buying. The sales associate gave me a final price for this new Leo three stone ring. I did not bat an eye and said I will take it. I informed her I will be using my Kay's card and gave her the card.

She ran my card and said, "Oh, your account is closed." I said why and they said it hadn't been used in 2 years and if I wanted the ring just reapply for new credit. I said, "No. Please call the service department and find out what happened." She called and repeated the same thing. Nothing they could do so just reapply. I said, "No," again and left the store, feeling a little embarrassed and humiliated as other customers were right there.

I left and immediately called Kay's office and waited about 20 minutes to get a service associate. I informed the associate what just occurred and she said, "Let me look at your account." The lady goes on to inform me that I hadn't used my account in two years so it was automatically closed. I said, "I just updated all my account information in July 2016 and why wasn't I informed of this closure?" I also asked when was it closed. She informed me it was closed Oct. 20, 2016 and that if I read my agreement when I signed contract that if it wasn't used in 2 years, they could close it.

Seriously, I have had this account on my credit report for almost 10 years and all of a sudden they tell me to re-read my contract. I informed her this is a very bad way to inform a customer about their accounts. I never received an email or letter about this closure and the associate continued to say, "It was in your contract that you signed." If I wanted credit I had to reapply. End of our conversation.

Well, I reapplied and NO THANKS to KAY's I was turned down. I had a $7600.00 credit limit and was never once late and have zero negative marks on my credit report, which I constantly monitor. Well, I told my wife about my Christmas present that didn't happen today. I informed her about the situation and she said, "You know I have my $5500.00 card we can use." I said, "Let's move on and just close out all of Kay's." She agreed and we are now looking at other "NONE" Kay's corporation owned Jewelers. I also tried several times to leave feedback for Kay's on their website, and it states they have received too many so please call. In the end with no notification of account closure and the service associate on the phone basically telling me it's all my fault more or less is why this happened. Good Luck, will move along.

After having a Kay card for years, always pay on time and never late, they decide to close the account after they run an unauthorized credit check and feel I have a lot of balances on other cards I own. It's none of their business but yet they closed my account without any correspondence or notification. I will never purchase another item from them again and take my business elsewhere.

My husband spent almost $5000 all said and done having a custom ring made for our engagement. My husband had to go in several times to have the custom design readjusted before they ever molded it. Whatever communication they had between the store and the workshop was not consistent. When he finally received it, there was a large gap between the halo diamonds that was not quality work and completely noticeable. He proposed to me and we had it taken in shortly after to have this corrected.

They gave us a "promise date" (which we now know is absolute garbage and it means nothing at all). The promise date was way off from what was estimated.

A few months after I had something happen where a metal fire pit lid dropped on my hand. It flew my center stone and two small diamonds out as well as breaking my ring beyond repair. I was able to find the center stone. We did not have insurance on it, or the insurance we did have did not cover a custom design. It could not be soldered. We agreed to have it completely remelted and remade and we paid for it out of pocket. It got sent in again with another bogus "promise date" which pushed it almost to the point of me not having it for engagement pictures.

So what we paid for was a brand new ring! And what we got was one that looked the same, but after my husband brought it home, we found out later was the wrong size. It felt a little tight on my finger but I wore it anyways thinking it was just swelling fingers. I was as gentle as a baby with this ring especially after what had happened. I was getting out of the shower to put it back on and noticed a halo diamond was gone. Only a couple days after me having it back. Mind you, I take it off for ALL CHORES, SLEEP, SHOWER, everything!

Back to the shop it went, where we found out it was also remade in the wrong size. Another "promise date", another crap date. Weeks from what they said and cutting it close to our wedding. About a month ago I had another halo diamond fall out. This was the last straw for me. Not only do I feel like their work is shoddy, communication awful, promise dates are false advertising, I do not feel we need to pay the rest of what WE PAID to have it remade, into a brand new ring with no issues.

It feels like a piece of junk that I am forever stuck with and stuck with the company. They offered to have it re-pronged, which may fix the stone issue (may not) and then took $200 off our account which I still feel was a misleading approach to make me satisfied but I am not. I found out about this after they called my husband to have him ok changes made to the account. This has taken many phone conversations that have been ongoing with different people in the company because their turnover is also ridiculous. In the grand scheme of things, our balance is small to them but HUGE for us and I do not feel like we got what we paid for. Also, Kay's, Jared's, and Zales are ALL affiliates. Be very weary of business here and shop small.

I went to make a purchase then we were told that my husband credit limit was closed with no explanation from corporate. He calls corporate to find out why his credit limit was closed to find out "fine print according to corporate" that they run your credit on a regular basis whenever they decide to run your credit. Then I decide to pay cash for it and to find out they sold the items I wanted and then had to purchase a higher price item since it was a Christmas gift for my girls. They couldn't give me a reason to why they sold the items. No commitment to the customer and on top of that the sales rep decides to flirt with me thinking that would help since I was frustrated and disgusted that he would do that knowing my husband was with me. Disrespectful in so many ways, that I will pay what I owe on this account and no longer do business with Kay's Jewelry.

Do not shop at Kay Jewelers. If you do anyway to buy diamonds--ask to use A LOOP to look at the true value and clarity of your diamond. My son's diamond rings for his girlfriend had inclusions and weren't even actually the size being sold at - paid 6500 for a phony ring sold by Kay Jewelers and can't even get 1,000 or even sell it to a pawn shop because of the inclusions!!! ALWAYS ASK TO USE A LOOP TO LOOK THRU YOUR DIAMONDS!!!

Six months ago I bought a silver and emerald link bracelet at the Kay Outlet Store at the Assembly Row Mall in Somerville, MA. When I went to put it on 2 weeks ago, I noticed that the clasp was still closed but the link next to it was not attached. It looked like perhaps a small pin that holds it together had somehow come off. My husband and I went back to the store where we had bought it with all of the paperwork and of course the bracelet. The man who waited on us looked at it and asked if we had bought a warranty, which we hadn't as I have had other bracelets,which lasted for over 20 years. They were not bought at Kay's so I guess the quality was better. He said it could be fixed but it would cost $52 or if I got a warranty for over $70 it would be fixed for free for life. Both seemed excessive. I took it home and called Kay's customer service number the next day.

The woman I spoke to said if I went back to the store they would send it in for an estimate and then let me know what could be done. The person in the store never told me this. I know longer trusted Kay so I took the bracelet to a real jeweler. He looked at it and said the link had just come loose and squeezed it closed, he charged me nothing! I really am disappointed and will advise everyone to stay away from this chain of stores. I feel their salespeople are just ripping people off!

I opened a credit line nov of 2015 and was told after a year I would no longer have a 20% down payment! Well that was a lie. I was told I'll have to continue doing so, keep in mind I've never been late on one payment. I'll be closing my account???

I purchased a ring yesterday as a gift and paid with cash. Later the same day learned the recipient preferred a different type of gift so returned the ring the following day. Well found out they don't do returns with cash! If they don't make a sale this day they can't refund your money. As if Kay's lack of sales is MY PROBLEM!! Although they start their day with some cash in their drawer they cannot use that cash to reimburse a refund. I have to wait at least a month to receive a check in the mail. They now have both the ring and my money and I had to leave with nothing. I feel scammed! Whatever you do, don't use CASH to pay for anything in this store! They use YOU as their bank and keep their money in their cash drawer!!!

I have 2 things from Kay. One is a Necklace in the shape of a figure 8 with an opal and a pink sapphire and the other is an all opal bracelet. Paying over 400 dollars total for these products just to have them break in about a month span IS RIDICULOUS!!! I have had 5 replacement necklaces since February of 2016 it is November and it broke once again. Walmart necklaces don't break as much. The warranty doesn't do **. When I took it to be fixed they "forgot" to send it in for about a month! The Bracelet snapped where the "real silver" is supposed to be. Just snapped in half like tin foil. I don't do anything to make them break. They just one day fall off and I take my items off to sleep and shower. I will never buy Kay again. Worst products and sales people suck! Took you people over 2 months to resizes my brother's engagement ring as well! What kind of service is this? If you want pictures I can submit them later.

I bought a ring for my wife and I left the ring to be resized. It took them two months to resize the ring what was supposed to be only two weeks, they did not apologize for the waiting time, they did not care about the business or the customer.

My husband purchased my 25th Anniversary ring at Jared's... 8,700.00. Everything was fine until I picked the ring up after purchasing. 1st I noticed one of my stones had a black particle. I would not have purchased a ring with that stone. 2nd, when I complained it was not correct "oh well" it's your ring. 3rd. When I took the ring in to have it inspected (their 6 month policy), they stated the stones were loose and that I hadn't purchased a 99.00 warranty policy for repairs. Never knew about the policy warranty. They took the ring, sent it out for repairs and the stones were set crooked and wrong.

When I complained they claimed it was the lighting. BS... Well the stones they messed with fell out. I took the ring to a good independent jeweler and had the stones replaced, had the ring set correctly and paid for it out of my pocket. And I had it appraised while it was at the jewelers... Only appraised for 4700.00 KAY'S, JARED'S or whatever name you're going by at this time... GOOD BYE. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE FROM YOU AGAIN.

I have had a open active account with Kay's since June of 2013. I was never late or behind on the account until this past summer I was off from work for 3 months. The insurance program that they provide with the account was suppose to make my monthly installments of 180.00 a month to the company. They finally approved a payment of 502.00 to the account leaving me a balance of 327.00 left to pay off. I talked with customer service this week and everything was fine on my account.

After the insurance company was used to make the payments, Kay's closed my account without notification, revoke my 5300.00 credit limit and has no real explanation of why. Everything on my credit report shows no negative activity or late payments. Everything was showing positive until I walked in to make a purchase. Not only was the purchase denied, they closed my account. This is going to have a negative impact on my credit report. Their insurance practices need to be investigated. Why require someone to purchase a service and once they use it their account gets closed? I have been working hard to build my credit for them to destroy it overnight.

I bought a diamond ring and I believe when it was sent in for sizing the diamond I got back was not mine. When I asked them to match it with the original paperwork they couldn't find the paper work. Sooo! I traded it for different diamond. Again I believe I didn't receive the diamond I chose. Will never buy another diamond from them again. Always have your diamond mapped before you send it in for work.

In March of 2014, my husband purchased my engagement ring from Kay Jewelers. It's a beautiful black and white diamond artisan piece. Within a couple months, two of the small stones had fallen out and had to be replaced. When it was returned to the store after replacement, one of the white diamonds appeared discolored. When I questioned the manager about it, she stated that it appeared that some of the powder that the repair shop used hadn't been brushed out completely so the ring had to be sent back for the stone to be reset. Not long after, the center diamond fell out while I was making my daughters bed. Again, the ring was sent off for repair. A few months later, the center stone fell out yet again.

When my husband and I entered the store the next day to address yet another issue, the manager looked at the woman next to her and said "great, it's them again" loud enough for us to hear her as we were walking in. Due to it being the second time the same exact stone had fallen out, my ring was replaced at that time and ordered in my size instead of being resized because they said that may have been what was causing the constant issues. Despite not wanting to lose my initial ring for sentimental reasons, I hoped this would be the end to the ongoing problems so I agreed. At this time my ring is currently in their possession yet again because the center stone has fallen out for the third time. When I took it to the store this time, the new manager advised me that "I just need to understand that these things happen".

Two weeks after I dropped it off for repair, the manager called me stating that it had been received back in the store. However the stone was set crooked so he was sending it back out to be corrected. Two days ago, nine weeks after it being initially sent for repair, I called to inquire because I'd heard nothing from the store. The manager answered the phone and after attempting to explain for several minutes why I was calling, he still had no clue what I was taking about. I was finally able to jog his memory at which point he began "checking the system" to see where things stood. He came back on the line a few minutes later only to tell me that a ring had been in their store for over 3 weeks. However he needed to investigate to make sure it was my ring and was the finished product. I've made several calls to customer care only to get the assurance that someone will contact me within 24-48 hours. I've left multiple messages with the district manager with no response.

In addition, I reached out to Kay on Facebook only to receive a template-response to please provide them with my contact info... Then when doing so, received an email that again, someone would contact me in 24-48 hours. Two years of repeated outreach to incompetent and uncaring customer service while trying to resolve issues with a very expensive ring that holds up like it was found in a cracker jack box. Very disappointed to say the least!

The Kay Jewelers lifetime diamond guarantee is a sham if you don't have the ring "inspected" every 6 months. They prey upon you not doing this so they can try and coerce you into buying a new diamond by saying yours is too damaged to reset.

In April 2016 my fiancé and I bought a $5000 Le Vian engagement ring and band from the Kay store in arrowhead mall. While so happy to find this beautiful ring we were blinded of the stupidity of their employees. They told us that with the purchase of the engagement ring we would be receiving a $100 for every 300 that we spent and it would be on our account. We were like great so we bought my wedding band as well that day. Note we received $1200 in rewards money, $300 of that we got to use towards the band so we still have $900 left to use... Great we planned to use it for his wedding band.

When my fiancé brought the engagement ring in to get sized he waited 2 weeks to get it back, when he went to pick up the ring he noticed that there was no rose gold on the middle halo. He brought it to the employee's attention and the employee then tried to point out something that wasn't there. At first my fiancé said ok then the guy tried to sell him matching earrings and that's when my fiancé was sure that it wasn't right. He said "isn't my ring supposed to look like this?" The employee now grabbed someone else and asked for his opinion, they even pulled it up on the website and we're going back and forth. They came to the conclusion to send it out... again. So they send it out, he waits another 2 weeks and when he gets it back and proposes. We noticed that it was not rose gold. It was yellow gold... so we bring it back to Kay and show them.

The lady that works with us this time again is trying to say "no no no it is rose gold. It's just the lighting" and then I show her the chains that are right next to us and say "this one here is yellow gold, right?" She says yes, and I say "and this one here is rose gold correct?" She says yes. Ok I said "isn't my ring supposed to look like this rose gold chain and if so why does it look like this yellow gold chain?" She now says "well if it's not rose gold enough for you we'll send it out." This is now the 3rd time my ring is being sent out to be worked on it and it is gone for another 2 weeks.

When I went to go pick it up this time they have dyed the prongs that hold the chocolate diamonds completely white gold when they were darkened to make them pop. So 3 times they took my ring and screwed it up. I wasn't about to make it a fourth. I contacted customer care and talked to a few different people, Stormy is one of them. Stormy and I talk and she agrees to send me a new ring, I asked her to order the ring in a size 6 which she refused. She said she would transfer the ring from another store after I expressed to her I didn't want Kay to touch my ring anymore. So instead of resolving the issue right here, and order it in a 6, it continues.

She transferred a new ring (not in my size) and I pick it up from the store. I go to a different store affiliated with Kay to talk to them about my issues... she told me to put a sizer on so I will be able to at least wear it, so she did that for me. I called customer care back and explained again that I didn't want Kay to work on my ring and asked why Stormy did not order the new ring in my size. Kelly the woman I spoke to today had no answer for that but she said they will not replace the ring in my size because that is not a real issue for them even though I have gone through so much. She told me that I would have to send my ring to Le Vian to get it sized which takes anywhere from 4-8 weeks.

I am extremely upset and dissatisfied with how Kay treated me after spending so much in their store and going through all that I did. I do not recommend to anyone to go to Kay and buy a ring. The people in the store are uninformative and don't really know about their products. Every person you ask will tell you something different. Oh and to add on top of all of that we lost out on that $900 of rewards money because they failed to tell us it expired in July.

The merchandise I bought is stunning and at a decent price. My issues is I feel duped in spending more I can afford. They were boasting the $100 gift card with purchase of $300. Well I thought I can get a pair of earrings to match the two rings I purchased. You can buy nice gemstone earrings around $100. What they failed to tell me is the $100 coupon is only good on another $300 purchase minimum. I am rather pissed for I can not afford to spend another $300 on top of the $400 I just paid just to use the coupon. If I knew this I would of just bought the $119 sterling silver gemstone ring instead of 2.

My husband purchased our engagement ring from Kay in 2010, and he paid extra for the service plan. About a month and a half ago, I took my ring in for an inspection and cleaning, like I have every six months (at least) since it was purchased. They sent it in for repairs saying that there was a "divot" in it. No problem - I figured it would be 3 weeks, and I'd have it back. Except that I hadn't heard anything at four and a half weeks. So, I finally called, and was informed that my ring was "damaged beyond repair"- the channels were too worn, and it was no longer able to be covered by the ESP.

Because my ring design had been discontinued, and because I'd kept up with inspections, they would allow me a credit towards a new ring. Here's the problem... rings in 2016 are MUCH more expensive. So, now in addition to losing one of my most precious possessions (with many memories tied to it), I have to fork over more money I get a lesser ring. This is WRONG! It's horrible customer service, and the warranty clearly means nothing... I'm heartbroken. We've never had trouble until this point, Kay's has always been very helpful.

Now, after researching this issue, I'm finding that I'm not alone! What kind of company can do this and get away with it? The worst part? There's nothing I can do. I'm stuck with Kay's or I lose the money we initially paid for the ring. There is no refund option six years after your initial purchase. I'd love to see them stand behind their products and offered warranty, but I'm starting to have serious doubts as to whether or not that will occur.

Bad quality over prices. Bad customer service; unprofessional and without a doubt they only see $$$$ signs. Heartless as they rip you off for the hard-earned money no matter how you got it or are getting it. They hire amateurs for employees that don't know ** from good chocolate. They say every kiss begins with K but what they need to do is say every nice feeling and what should be a great experience in the diamond business they manage to take it away from you; they kill your feeling experience and it begins with K. I hate to go to another jeweler but they left me no choice after not once but three bad experiences in spite of me giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Kay Jewelers is not customer or experience friendly and is a BUYER BEWARE! NO slander just sharing my experience and is it not sad that they do this to customers including myself? My dream store has become so heartless. Do your full, entire homework and background check any diamond store before committing to a long life relationship with a diamond that is very expensive. I hope that someday they can become what every customer wants -- good customer service and a fantastic experience assuring you a lifelong commitment as a returned customer.

We purchased a band to be solder to my engagement ring for the ceremony. When I got the ring back, it was not solder. We had to return the rings back to the store after the ceremony in order to get the services we needed. We live an hour from the store. I asked the clerk what could she do since it was not our fault? She replied, "I can offer you a stick of gum. I am sorry this is all I can do." REALLY??? We purchased a $3500 engagement ring, $1000 band for him and $700 band for me. I will be closing our account. Please, don't purchase anything from Kay's Jewelry. Pay attention to the comments. They will help you in the long run.

From the first time I went into Kay Jewelers in the boca town center mall every experience I have had has been horrible. My fiancé purchased my engagement ring and picked out a wedding band to place on layaway in 2012. Kay Jewelers took it upon themselves to sell my wedding band to someone else without contacting us to ask if we were making any kind of payment when it was placed on layaway. To find out when I went in for my ring inspection that it had been sold I was mortified and upset because there was no other band in that store that went with my one of a kind ring.

From that point on I had several problems with my engagement ring from stones falling out to the prongs that held my ring together were constantly loose after having to send out my ring multiple times for repair. Every time I got my ring back weeks later there was always an issue with my ring. They told me because my ring had been repaired multiple times they would have to replace my ring to find out my ring had been discontinued. They never offered to get me into a better enhancement ring to avoid all the constant issues I encountered.

A day before I was leaving to go out of state I get to Kay's and my diamonds were taken out of my ring and placed into a different band. I was mortified. I never gave them permission to rip my ring apart. To have to go through that stress being pregnant was not a very pleasant day or experience for me. The store manager had to replace my ring because of the disaster that happened with my original ring. How memorable is this for a woman who was given a beautiful ring.

Having to deal with so much I didn't even want the ring anymore. My fiancé made the mistake by purchasing me a necklace last Christmas to have issues with that as well. They treated me like dirt. For the last time I dropped off my necklace for repair almost 2 months ago and never got a call from the store that is was ready so my jewelry has been sitting in their store for over a month without trying to reach me.

I have had it with all Kay Jewelers locations as I have had to go to several locations to have my ring inspected because I can't trust anyone with any of my jewelry. After speaking with cooperate they have done nothing to help us or compensate us so I am forced to sell my ring and take my business elsewhere. I would never recommend anyone to go into Kay's as they will either sell your jewelry, mishandle the jewelry and their customer service is a disgrace. They don't even have someone to fix the jewelry onsite so when it's sent out you have to wait weeks to get it back and hope it will still in one piece or not damaged. To get compensation you have to spend more to get better and it's a sad shame.

Our recent experience with Kay Jewelers at the mall of NH has been an absolute outrage. My boyfriend purchased a pink heart shaped sapphire as a gift in 2014 for me. We have since returned it several times for the stone just falling out. This last time they stated they were not able to fix or replace. Offered to put stone in a cage for a necklace so that we may keep the heart stone. Between the manager and assist manager we thought we were getting the cost of the ring back towards necklace creation but... lo and behold pure **. They stated because they were only using stone they would not credit us NOTHING and it would cost out of my pocket more $$$. I ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT PUT REFUND OF RING TOWARDS ANYTHING FROM ANY KAY JEWELERS LOCATIONS. I strongly recommend that no one else bother with this establishment. You will be fooled.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Kay is a jewelry company owned by Signet Jewelers that was founded in 1916, and the company is headquartered in Fairlawn, Ohio. It is one of America's biggest jewelry store chains with retail stores located in large shopping malls, and it also offers customers online shopping for a range of jewelry products.

• Design-a-ring: Kay lets customers design their own rings so they can ensure their wedding or engagement rings are unique.
  • Personalization services: The company personalizes jewelry for customers, including adding monograms or engraving special messages into jewelry pieces to make them one of a kind or tailored for a specific person.
  • Style finder: Customers can take advantage of Kay's Style Finder, which helps them find the right jewelry product they are buying as a gift or for themselves.
  • Extended service plan: The company provides customers who purchase and own their jewelry a number of services, and by purchasing an extended service plan, these customers can take advantage of the jewelers' services for the life of the product. These services include cleaning, repair, watch tuning, damage checks, refurbishment and more.
  • Credit options: Kay offers customers credit options to help them finance their purchases.
  • Best for Couples getting engaged and customers looking to buy a luxury gift.

Compare Jewelry Stores