1.31/5
  • 1 star
Based on 69 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Kay Jewelers

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 9, 2018

483 Kay Jewelers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I recently purchase a ring on 12/29/17. Their salesman told me it was the wrong size but to come back anytime and he could get it sized for me. When I return they say I must buy an extended warranty and I could pick from a 34 or I believe it was 56$ package and that they would not resize it unless I lid extra even though I had the salesman word. He wasn’t in the store when I first came back but left when I arrived.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

To make it short, I wanted necklace with a cross, so I bought one for myself. I noticed when I got home the 24" chain had been spliced about 3" from the clasp... I took it back and ordered another. The one they are going to exchange is 429.00 dollars, 10K Gold. GUESS what? A magnet will move the chain around like iron. I am very upset as the necklace I bought is worth about 10.00 dollars that they sold for 429.00 dollars. DO NOT BUY from this company!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

My 81 year old mother purchased a diamond bracelet in September 2017. This bracelet was a Christmas present for me, yet she was not informed of your return policy of 60 days. Had she known this, she would not have made her purchase in September. Since neither one of us knew of the 60 day return policy, we met today in Las Vegas, Nevada in order to return the bracelet. My mother lives in Cedar City, Utah and I live in Blythe, California. Cedar City is 3 hours away from Las Vegas and Blythe is 4 hours away. Imagine how I felt when I was told I could not return the bracelet, and that I could not make an exchange unless I spent double the amount of the cost of the bracelet! My mother and I are both quite upset about this. I will never wear this bracelet for it will only remind me of the pain that I felt as my mother cried as we left the mall.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I've place an online order for a necklace/pendant on 12/21/17, the website indicate if I paid for the 2 business day delivery, my order will arrived on 12/26/17. It is now the 27th and my order has yet to be filled. What's worst is the website has no information on my order, no tracking information, and no activity. When I called customer service, they told me that the two business day start when the warehouse fills the order. WTF!!?? Absolute contradiction from the information during my order placement. I am still waiting on my product. No product updates. No status information.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

I got a Kay's card several years back, almost 5 yrs now, put my wife's wedding ring/engagement band, promise ring, diamond earrings, another diamond ring, a diamond necklace over these years, the balance was paid in full over and over again, this was when it was Comenity bank services, I had basically had minimal issues logging into the Kay's website and being able to pay online. Well, sometime early this year of 2017 without knowing I was switched over to Genesis, and they handle all the credit stuff, and suddenly logging into the website was just about impossible, password/ log in info was wrong Every time, so, you would think you could just change your password have a text confirmation sent like they say they will, but for me, the text confirmation would never come, so then you would have to request an email be sent to the account they have, great, but more often than not I wouldn't get, or it would take a day to receive it.

I have other cards where it's a similar setup, but it actually works, the password is always right, if you need to change it the text confirmation takes seconds and paying is easy. So why are they trying to make it hard for us to pay our bills? Am I the only one who noticed this? You have to spend a half a day to take care of a bill. So today Dec 23rd, I decide to go buy my wife a new ring or some hoop earrings, spend 30mins talking to the staff, and setting up everything, but when Dave goes to run the card, he comes back looking shocked, he tells me it's been closed, and not by Kay's, but it's been closed. So, I call this Genesis place for the first time, can barely understand the guy, but the only info he was able to provide, was it was closed on the Dec 7th. All he could say was I would receive a letter about it. Well, if it was closed on the 7th, and now it's the 23rd you would think I would have it already right?

So anyways he can provide me with zero info, so I went from a 3k maximum line of credit, thousands of dollars spent there over the past few years, to Genesis closing my acct with no info but that I'm welcome to reapply for a new card in 6 months. That is utter garbage. This is some sort of scam, so now I will pay the remaining 400 some odd dollars which was up to date, and I'm welcome to apply for a new card in 6 months. I'm furious I was treated excellent and like person for the past 4 - 5 years and they switch me to Genesis without my consent or knowledge and within several months or however long it's really been this year anyways, they close my credit line entirely with no info.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kay Jewelers?

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Went into Kay Jewelers to have a ring that was purchased there with a warranty to get cleaned and inspected per the warranty. While I was there I decided to drop off my ring that is a family heirloom to get repaired. Dropped it off in the 27th of November after they told me that they could have it finished by the 14th of December. I tried to call the store on the 15th after not receiving a call that the ring was finished on the 14th. They wouldn't answer their phone. I had to go into the store to find out that my ring still wasnt ready.

They told me it would be ready on the 19th of December. Again, today, the 19th of December I called. No answer. I had to call customer service to get an update. I waited on hold 30 minutes. Once someone finally helped me all they could say was that it was at the repair shop still and will be ready by Monday. I asked about the holiday and they said they misspoke. So they revised their promise indicating it would be ready no later than Monday (the 25th of December).

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

Bought my husband's watch from Kay Jewelers and bought the extended warranty. We ended up having to take it in to get repaired. They sent it off to their vendor at the beginning of November, it is now past the middle of December, so I checked my email, received an email that went to Spam, it stated that it was ready to be picked up. I come in to pick it up and they tell me that it's not here, that they had to send it back out because they sent it to the wrong place... This is absolutely unacceptable. Do not buy your jewelry from Kay Jewelers, go somewhere else my advice.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I went to Kay in Paramus Park and showed a picture of a ring I was interested in buying. The saleswoman said, "I don’t think we have that." So she checked the number and came back and said, "No we don’t have that." And pretty much dismissed me. I walked out then walked back in and said the customer service I was looking for is, "We don’t have that here but I can check another store. I can order it for you." I left annoyed at the level of service and purchased a ring at a different jeweler.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I would not buy anything from Kay Jewelers. It started in June 2017. I upgraded my wife’s ring for our anniversary. I bought it from them, then my wife went back to have it sized. They sent off to size and the jeweler damaged the diamond. They offered to repair or make new get new, and she did not get her ring back until November. I also, had my ring replaced, they shipped the wrong ring two times. The staff is nice, but they are not very good at what they do at the Oxmoor Mall location in Louisville, KY. I recommend that you not use this jeweler, they are not good at their job at all.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Ordered pendant online and representative indicated 2 day delivery for FREE. Arrived 4 days later. Worse than that, the pendant was shown considerably larger than what arrived. Very disappointed with Kay Jewelers. This item is a definite return. Don't put too much stock into their online pictures of jewelry.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I would recommend everyone in Nebraska to visit the Kay Jewelers store at Sunset Plaza. They are very polite and courteous to all of the customers. They will go the extra mile for customer satisfaction. I am a regular visitor there and always enjoy their way of making my concerns their number one priority.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

My husband and I decided to upgrade rings and opened up a Kay’s card. We were told we would make 12 months worth of payments at a specific amount interest free. They warned if we did not make these payments everything would be charged interest. I get to my last month (yay!) and then realize I am charged over $300 interest. If you pay the amount they tell you to pay you apparently purposefully go into the 13th month and get charged interest! This is absolutely ridiculous since I paid every payment on time and I trusted their staff when they said if I paid that amount it would be covered. I will never purchase from them again because I honestly believe their company purposefully does this to get the interest at the end either way.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

My husband bought me a Neil Lane engagement ring (the live store sample since it fit well enough) in late 2015, and gave it to me on January 31, 2016. He purchased it from the Kay Jewelers in Tuscaloosa, AL. I eventually got the ring sized down. I never actually had a problem with my engagement ring at all. It has many very small stones and one larger center stone.

A few months later I decided to purchase TWO of the matching bands so that eventually they could be soldered together. I was informed that this particular set was now discontinued and they could sell me the ONE matching band as is (it would have to be sized down to fit), but the other one would have to be custom made. They needed my engagement ring to make sure the rings matched up, which was fine. I get the rings in and noticed one of the bands had a stone that was sitting lower than the other stones. To make sure I wasn't being picky (considering I worked for another international wedding ring manufacturer myself and my job was to pay close attention to detail), I asked friends if they noticed it, and they did.

They sent the ring in one time and it wasn't fixed even a little. The salesman helping us always seemed disinterested in trying to fix it. He sent the rings in a second time, telling me when he got them back in, he'd let me inspect it before they soldered them. Two weeks later the ring comes in and the stone looks untouched again, still sunken down, and they had ALREADY soldered them.

The same guy helped us, eventually apologizing ONLY for his bad attitude because he had been to a funeral that day. He told me he thought they might have put a smaller stone in as if that made it better... Excuse me?! I didn't pay $4000+ for a SMALLER STONE. I couldn't believe he thought he could just breeze past what he'd just said. We asked him to send it again. Once returned a week later, it looked a little better. I told the woman helping us that day what the other guy had said about a smaller stone, and she lazily looked under the magnifier and said "it's not a smaller stone." All while looking annoyed, barely speaking to us, and texting right in front of us.

A month or two later, sitting on my couch I was looking at my ring and noticed a different stone was on the verge of falling out. I took it back to the store and spoke to a different guy who was the manager. I explained my past frustrating situation and he was quick to help us. We also asked him if he'd get them to check on the other stone that was still sunken in and he agreed. He was very nice and we decided to ask for him from then on.

They fixed the loose stone and TRIED fixing the other. He told me they got new repair people in hopes of making things better. These new people had built HUGE prongs around this fixed stone. The manager disapproved and said he'd send it back if I wanted. I noticed also that the stone on the same ring at the very end was now sunken into the ring. Note that these sunken down stones aren't shiny like the others, and it looks almost like the stone is missing... very dark. I decided that I'd just take it since I was sick of the back and forth. It's been about four months since then (keep in mind I've only been married 8 months now), and I noticed during Thanksgiving with my family as I was showing off the ring that a stone had fallen out. I don't currently work, and even when I did, it was a desk job. I was not rough with my hands.

This is not to mention that we used a Kay credit card for this purchase, and recently we had gotten a letter saying they changed owners and our interest rate went front 19% to 26%!!! I plan on going to Kay tomorrow and demanding that the bands be remade or they give me my money back. To be fair, they have not charged me for any repairs so far, but this is the first time a stone is actually missing and I fear they are going to try to charge me. I have a feeling, after my past experiences in such short time, as well as all these other reviews, that I've got my work cut out for me. I am pregnant and moody, which is partially why I felt compelled to write a review... but I hope it keeps everyone from shopping here. SEE ATTACHED PHOTOS.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

My fiance took me to Kay Jewelers in Bartonsville PA for me to pick out my engagement ring (I'm 50 and this is a 2nd marriage), we did pick one out and ordered one, but it wasn't one that I was 100% on board with. While checking out we were told that there was another Kay in the next town over (Crossings Premium Outlets in Tannersville PA) that had a larger selection. We decided to drive over and check it out. As soon as we walked in the door it was like walking into a car dealer -- pounced on by numerous people, but there was one who was overbearing and took us over -- Andrea. She was all smiles and friendly and asked what we were shopping for. I told her that we were just at the Bartonsville store and had purchased a ring there that I wasn't 100% thrilled with and wanted to see what she had.

She was very positive and said she could help us find something I'd love and that she was glad we were there because they were an "outlet" and could offer 40-70% off the other store prices (our budget was $3,000). So we spent about 35-40 minutes trying to find "the one". It basically came down to 4 then to 2 (one of which was the one we had ordered from the other store). Andrea basically told me that the one I had already picked "simply must be the one" and she began calculating pricing -- her "outlet" pricing was MORE than the price we paid in the other Kay store -- so I told her they gave us an extra 5% for Black Friday and she deducted that... Now that's where I was confused, I mean why is she calculating that when we already bought that ring??

The only reason we went to another store was because I wasn't completely happy and wanted to see a bigger variety, but she calculated away and I said to my fiance "well you have the receipt so see if it's the same price". That's when she flipped out! She looked at him pulling the receipt from his jacket pocket and she yelled out so that everyone in the store could hear, "you already bought one??!!" and I sat there looking very confused because I had already told her that as soon as we walked in the door when she greeted us. So, I reiterated to her, 'I told you that we bought one at the other store and that I wasn't happy with it', she JUMPED out of the chair and walked away! As she walked away she yelled at us "I spent A LOT of time with you!" Shaking her head back and forth and she put the rings away that we were looking at.

Everyone in the store stopped and stared at us and one other gentlemen associate just smiled awkwardly at us as I said that she was extremely RUDE. My fiance and I packed up our belongings and started to walk out. I'm FURIOUS and I figure there are 3 ways to handle this: 1- could stoop to her disgusting level and yell at her and walk away like the toddler she behaved as; 2 - I could cause a scene or 3 - I could 'kill her with kindness'. I chose #3. As we were passing her on our way out I said to her, smiling, "I'm sorry that you didn't understand what I said when we came in here, I thought I was perfectly clear"...all the while she was shaking her head "no" the entire time... I continued "thank you for your time and you have a lovely evening" and we left.

By the time we got to our vehicle I was near tears and furious at the same time. This was supposed to be a happy time for us and this person, ANDREA, was the biggest fake, phony, opportunistic, vile, callous, disgusting excuse for a human being who treated us like we didn't matter at all! Had we found a ring at her store that was better than the other, our plan was to cancel the other order (we were told there was a 60 day return policy and a 90 day exchange) and purchase a new one, but instead she chose to be RUDE to customers.

We are 50 years old and neither one of us has EVER experienced being treated like this by anyone in retail EVER. She ought to be ashamed of herself and she definitely should not be dealing with the public in a customer relations position because she clearly does not know how to deal with customers in a proper way. Shame on Kay for employing people like this!! This was supposed to be a wonderful happy time for us and SHE degraded it and us!

I called their customer care and placed a formal complaint and asked for a phone call back from someone. I would LOVE to get to their corporate offices. (I used to be assistant to the VP of Customer Relations for a telephone company years ago -- I KNOW customer relations and I know that the big guys don't like it when their employees treat their customers poorly!) I've told my fiance to cancel the Kay order completely now and we'll shop elsewhere for my ring. I don't want to give our money to such a company that employs and/or promotes such rude employees and I really don't want the negative event associated with our positive joyful one.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I just purchased a necklace from Kay using my credit card, because one item is 70% discount online shown from the Slickdeal but the Kay website did not show the discount code in a proper way and just let it pay after inserting my credit card number. Feeling like definitely ripped off and feeling terrible.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Received my engagement ring from Kay. After 12 days the diamond fell out. Purchased it at Kay Jewelry store at Chandler Mall. The manager Sue was extremely rude and did not offer any solutions. One of the most memorable things in a woman's life is the man of her dreams asking her to marry him. Kay Jewelry ruined it for me. Do NOT PURCHASE FROM KAY JEWELERS.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I purchased a wedding ring set on credit w/ Kay Jewelers. The sales manager told me that my first payment would be on 12/01/2017. I received my November statement on November 2, 2017 indicating that the amount due for November was $0.00. On November 6, 2017, I received an email from Kay/Comenity bank indicating that my account was 2 months past due and I owed $347.00. I called the credit card company and told them what the sales manager and my statement said. They told me the sales manager didn't know what he was talking about and they changed credit card companies and I needed to pay the full amount to keep my account current. They have also listed my payment as late and charged me a late payment fee. This is wrong in so many ways!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I don't even know where to begin. Well let's start with I could have been sobbing all day! I have had my Neil Lane set for 6 years and it's been one thing to another that needs to be fixed. My original place of purchase was wonderful but it is 2 hrs away. It starts with Xmas shopping 1 month after getting my ring. What should have been awesome time turned horrid.

We went to a Kay Jewelers in Burlington VT still about 2 hrs away from us. I was inquiring about getting my new ring sized to fit, the lady there actually tried to tell me I couldn't size down from like a 7 to a 5. I then said "well can it be ordered in my size and we switch?" She told me we would have to buy a new ring in order to do this. Are you kidding? She try every sales pitch she could to get us to open a Kay's credit line OMG again in years thinking how the heck am I going to keep this thing on my finger?

She went further to say it's not a big deal. Her daughter bought the same set for a right finger ring. You don't just buy this set for a casual wearing! Disgusted we walk out. But before I demanded to speak to her manager to whom was standing nearby (I didn't realize this or I would have walked to her) she actually left the floor and told her to tell me she was busy and there was nothing she could do to help us! That's #1 if many other store visits seemed to go. Our original place of purchased not only fixed the problem but did it without any hassle.

Since I have had let's see prongs reset, some of which weren't even required on the day of inspection. I got my ring back from the Kay's in Lebanon NH and it was sent out to get soldered together and within a week, I noticed my center diamond was rolling all over! They assured me it would be taken care of. They again soldered my center diamond in the setting and swore, you will never lose this diamond it's very secure. (I just had it inspected. It didn't move before this.) Then last April I got it inspected and hmmm needed a ridiculous amounts of new prongs, again not sure I really needed them during inspection.

There were like 4 maybe. The smaller ones that I believe we spoke about, a 3 weeks later after going to the store upon because my ring was supposedly finished only for me to get there to find it's not at the store. Can't find it! Awesome. Apparently they sent it back without telling me for more prongs. After losing all my humor with this very very incompetent store and demanding my ring back (we were leaving for vacation the following week I was assured it would be back before) it took a month to get this back.

And now today, I was working at a big equine affaire, and sometime with me lifting and moving saddles I happened to look down and guess what my frigging center diamond GONE!!! The whole thing! I am beside myself right now! To be able to find it where I am is beyond a needle and haystack! I am so disappointed in Kay's and poor customer service, poor repairs! And a big huge disappointment in Neil Lane!

Pooooooor quality!!! I've had nothing but poor results with my ring, and now because things weren't done effectively or efficiently I am sobbing because my treasured piece of jewelry is missing a very large piece of it! Now I get to have the dreaded conversation with yet another incompetent salesperson desperate for a sale for commissions!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

The "manager" "gemologist" Melissa is a scam artist at the Smith Haven mall in Lake Grove location. My fiancé had purchased a ring from her in August 2017. From the beginning everything went wrong. First she tried selling him a wedding band that couldn't be made into a engagement ring. Then from there she tells him he's "instantly approved" and that his monthly payment would be $160 for a 2 year loan. Then when he went to pick up the ring they said "they couldn't find it." She didn't give him any paperwork and he has still to this day (November, 8 2017) not received anything in the mail regarding his account.

She charged him way more than what the ring appraised for and had a few random charges on the account that even the manager didn't know what they were for. The ring price was $5400 and she had him approved for $4000 and put the deal through anyway without telling him his account was automatically overcharged for the remaining $1400 which is now messing with his credit. She set him up with a loan for 8 years at 24.99 interest with over $260 a month payment which is nowhere near what she had told him in the store. Dealing with her was an absolute nightmare and she has completely ruined the fun in being engaged. This woman should NOT be a manager in any way.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

My now husband and I went to the Kay Jewelers in Champaign, IL to find a wedding ring for him before our wedding. We went in about a month and a half before the wedding date. Haylee (not sure the spelling of her name) was helping us pick it out and she was very helpful at the time, especially since they were pretty busy. We picked out the ring, and paid for it and she said that she would order the correct size for us later that day and it would be in the store in 9-14 days, and she would call and let us know when it was in. So we would have plenty of time before the wedding! 2 weeks went by and I hadn’t heard anything, so I called to see where the ring was.

I spoke to Haylee again, and she said they “just found out today” that the ring was back ordered and wouldn’t be in until about 10 days after the wedding. Of course I’m disappointed, but sometimes that happens and there’s nothing you can do. I called back a week before our wedding and talked to Kaylee (again, not sure of spelling), and she talked to special orders and some other places because the ring was nowhere to be found. Turns out, Haylee never ordered our ring. How she told me that it was back ordered, I have no idea. So I’m pretty pissed at this point, because either Haylee had no idea which customer she was talking to and was just saying something to get me off the phone, or just straight up lied and didn’t care that she never ordered the ring.

Kaylee did an amazing job calling all over the place trying to get this ring delivered in time for our wedding. She’s the only reason our ring didn’t get returned. It did make it to the store in time for the wedding, but it seemed like this store was very unprofessional, and I will never return to Kay Jewelers. Not even just the store, the whole company. Considering I called special orders myself and they said they don’t take calls from customers, even though I just talked to special orders myself a few weeks back. I will pay off my husband's ring and cancel my credit card there and not go back. Needless to say, if you decide to risk it and go to the Kays in Champaign, don’t deal with Haylee. Not only will she possibly screw you order up, she won’t even apologize or even acknowledge the fact that she screwed up. I got nothing from her.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

During the first week of August 2017 my boyfriend picked out a ring during a business trip and surprised me. He was told to bring it to any Kay to have it sized. We dropped ring off immediately and was told 7-10 days. It was the most exciting time of my life. I never saw the ring again. It's now the end of October. We have been told it had to be remade twice and then wouldn't pass quality control amongst many other excuses. I could go on all day about the many different stories from many different Kay employees. We also were told we would be compensated for the trouble but never were. We ended up asking for our money back and told "you're not the only ones." Please never ever buy from this shady company. It's been a true nightmare to say the least.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

My husband and I have purchased several pieces throughout the years from Kay, but lately we have had nothing but problems after the sale. For instance we have two watches that were purchased and was told we have their "ultimate watch plan" that covers the watch for 3 years, however when it comes down to an issue it's only battery replacement that we have and they want to charge as much as the watch cost to fix it. Unbelievable! I will be finding another jeweler to do business with! I do not mind spending the money it's just when I do I expect what I am told to be honored.

Resolution response: Oct. 17, 2017

Received a phone call today from a wonderful representative of the company. We identified where the situation went pear shaped and have been promised my refund by the end of the week. Thank you Kay Jewelers. I probably won't visit that particular store again but I know of several other locations that will definitely get my business. Well Done!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I visited the Kay Jeweler at the Palm Beach Outlets just before Father's Day to purchase a new watch for my husband. The sales associate was beyond pushy and I felt very uncomfortable. I did find a watch I thought I liked and paid cash for it. I later had second thoughts and in looking on the receipt discovered that I had been charged $90 for a protection plan I did not ask for or agree to pay for. I went back to the store the following day to return the watch. Since I had paid cash, I was told they didn't have enough in the register to refund me and after some back and forth about returning to other locations not being an option they said they would send a cheque for my refund. I gave the manager and the associate my information and mailing address. I have to date, still not received my refund and have had no luck with customer service, corporate or anyone associated with the company. BAD BAD BAD!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

My fiancé bought my engagement ring from Kay on August 4, 2017 and the salesman at a different location told him that he didn’t need insurance. Two and a half weeks later, one of my tiny diamonds fell out. We took it to the Kay Jewelers in Cullman, AL on August 29, 2017 to get it fixed and to size it down. They couldn’t make a claim because we didn’t have the insurance. So, $180.00 later, they were able to file a claim.

They set my promise date as September 12, 2017. I call on the date to make sure that it came back and was told that they had to send it back, because it wasn’t resized. They set a new promise date (two weeks later) and promised that it would be fixed. I go in on September 26, 2017 to pick it up, because they had called and said that it was ready. I go and guess what?! The diamond was STILL NOT replaced!! They lied to us!!! They had to do another claim ticket and I heard the sales rep say, “Is this a Marquise diamond? Oh wait, it’s round... never mind.” Then she starts giggling... If you can’t identify your shapes, you don’t need to be working in a jewelry store! I was almost in tears not that I was sad, but because I was infuriated with Kay and their sales representatives.

They called today (October 3, 2017) and said that it was ready. I go in and they FINALLY had my ring done. It took them 35 days to do TWO simple things. THIRTY-FIVE DAYS... If you want to have a wonderful experience looking for your engagement/wedding rings or any piece of jewelry, for that matter, do not go to Kay Jewelers!!! They are absolutely horrendous and they have terrible customer service!!! I will NEVER shop at Kay Jewelers or any company that’s owned by Sterling America. They’re so shady, they lie, and they don’t care about your jewelry or the time in which your jewelry should be fixed.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

My fiancée bought a ring in August 2016. Within 1 month a diamond had fallen out, it was quickly replaced. Within another 2 months, a second diamond fell out. They attributed this to being resized initially. So they give us an entirely new ring. Here we are, 7 months later and a diamond FALLS OUT. We went to the location which we purchased from, and after the salesman giving us a speech about how I should just wear the wedding band, and only the engagement ring for special occasions, I asked for the manager. The assistant manager tells me she can have that diamond replaced. We asked for a different style ring entirely, because clearly there is a design flaw with the style we have. The store manager informed me that this is why they offer the care plan (which we have) so that diamonds can be replaced.

Then, they insinuate that it may be from rough handling, and dare ask what I do for a living. I reply that I am a stay at home mother, and I only wear my ring if I leave the house, and I don't even wear it in the shower or to do dishes. They informed me that if this happens FIVE OR SIX TIMES that they will review my situation and we can discuss a replacement. I am beyond livid. The quality of their jewelry as well as their customer service are beyond unacceptable. We have put a lot of hard earned money into the wallet of a horrible company that we are unfortunately stuck working with. I guess I'll be making several trips a year to have diamonds replaced (and be without my ring 2 weeks each time) until they are satisfied that the ring is faulty.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

Went to Kay Jewelers to have my grandma's ring cleaned and check if diamonds were real. The sales associate showed me that there was a loose diamond in the ring. Wasn't secured and loose. He then told me it's not a good thing. I asked if it's secured enough. He said yes, and went to clean it in the clean machine and put it in a ring box. I came home to inspect it in the box and I noticed a diamond is missing. The sales associate never told me there weren't any missing just one was loose. I have reasons to believe the cleaning machine made the diamond fall out. This ring was my grandmother's and she's passed on since July 9, 2017.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

I recently got engaged, however my Fiancé wanted me to be able to pick out a ring because I'm pretty particular. Due to Kay Jewelers name being pretty popular, I decided to look there. I'm a young person but have always been very responsible with my credit, so I have a pretty good credit score, so I applied for credit with their credit program to be able to get the ring of my dreams. I got approved right away, and I got an email with the credit card #, a letter saying that I could use the store right away, etc, and they were also having a sale on the ring that I had picked out, so I bought it right away with the credit that I was approved for. The item processed and I got an order confirmation. Their credit program also made me put 20% down on the ring, which was taken out of my bank account. The next day, however, I got an email that my order had been cancelled with no other information.

After waiting for half an hour to try to get ahold of a customer service rep, the rep told me that it was because I had put in my Fiancé's employment information (I'm a full time student) even though it asked for the HOUSEHOLD income, and so my application had been initially approved, but they looked over the application (the one that I had already been approved for) had been rejected and that they couldn't do anything unless I came into a store.

I explained that the closest store to me was over 2 hours away, but I could kindly fax any information that they needed directly to the correct department so they could confirm his income and that we lived together, and stated the fact that the reason that I ordered the ring online was because I lived so far away, and after arguing for awhile, the customer service rep said that they couldn't do anything for me. I ordered from Zales today (they approved me right away for a higher limit with better financing) so hopefully, that will work out better than Kay. I will never do business with this company again.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

So, my fiance bought me the two sapphire and diamond ring from Kay's at our local store. Most beautiful ring I could have imagined. The day he went in the sales rep tried her hardest to find the two blue diamond and diamond ring I had noted I liked to my fiance but they were no longer selling this ring but was still on the site. Props to her trying. Now, I have always worn a 5& 1/2 because I have skinny fingers but my knuckles are wide. He had it sized at 5&1/2 before proposing. After about a month I finally worked up the courage to take it off and have it taken down to a 5 because it was too loose and I didn't want to lose it. They told us two weeks or less. He has called a few times and it was still out. The last he spoke with someone they said they would call to have it rushed, which they did.

When he call today 8/4 they said it came back but they had to send it back out because they were not satisfied with it. He hung up with them and told me the news. I said, um, well shouldn't I be the one who has to be satisfied with it? So I called and asked why on earth they would send it back without letting me or him know number on and why are they the ones who decide if they are satisfied with it? Here it came back with a side diamond missing! I said "so not only do I have to wait longer but you're sending it back to the same person to not only fix the problem he created but who doesn't double check his quality of work?" I then asked "how it takes two weeks with this jeweler when the store three doors down can do it within a day." She tells me their jeweler deals with 12 other stores and that he does the orders as they come in.

I then say "well how long do I have to wait now because that ring doesn't belong to you or that jeweler it belongs to me and on my finger." She said "we put a rush on it he should get it tomorrow and have it back to us by Tuesday 8/8." So, I made a Facebook post and have had several close friends reply telling me their horror stories, so I quickly took to the internet and found so many, many more. This ring was not cheap either somewhere around $2800. It's one of the most beautiful rings I've ever seen and well he chose this ring for me and I can't even wear it. I know they said this jeweler is based out of WV, but I really don't trust he will do a good job. How can this company still be in business with so many, many horrible stories like mine or even worse? Why can't something be done about this company ripping people off??

Original review: July 30, 2017

I've bought an necklace, earrings, and bracelet from Kay's for someone. They went on vacation. So I said there's no need for it. I took the jewelry back to get a refund. Why am I getting the runaround about my refund. Go tell me they could send it in the mail. But it'll take ten business days. Or I can come in the afternoon after they've made some money. So I give them two days to make so money. They still haven't made no money. What kind of business is this?

Original review: July 25, 2017

My husband purchased me the 5/8 ever us band to go with my diamond he had already purchased. It was expected to be here by 6/16/17 which it was. I have the ring 14 days and I noticed a diamond was missing in the ring, mind you this is a 1149.00 Diamond ring. I took the ring into Kay’s for the man to look at it there. He did in fact look at it, the ring had to be sent off. They don't have that large size diamond in the ring in that style ring I was told. I was asked if I wanted one made or wanted that one repaired, after he further inspected the diamond ring he found a second diamond lose and advised me Not to wear the ring.

So here I sit with a diamond I can't wear. The other one won't be in before 47 days, he put it on rush which it hardly ever comes in early, promise day is 7/28/17. To me that is BS, why does it take so long? It doesn't take that long for them to bill you and they want their payment, I am very very disappointed with Kay Jewelers. This is going to be the last purchase made there, there will be no more, we will be taking our business elsewhere. I am so upset I want my ring but seems it's not even going to be here before leaving for vacation so I don't have it to wear. I Feel they can do better than what they are doing.

Kay Jewelers expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Kay is a jewelry company owned by Signet Jewelers that was founded in 1916, and the company is headquartered in Fairlawn, Ohio. It is one of America's biggest jewelry store chains with retail stores located in large shopping malls, and it also offers customers online shopping for a range of jewelry products.

• Design-a-ring: Kay lets customers design their own rings so they can ensure their wedding or engagement rings are unique.

• Personalization services: The company personalizes jewelry for customers, including adding monograms or engraving special messages into jewelry pieces to make them one of a kind or tailored for a specific person.

• Style finder: Customers can take advantage of Kay's Style Finder, which helps them find the right jewelry product they are buying as a gift or for themselves.

• Extended service plan: The company provides customers who purchase and own their jewelry a number of services, and by purchasing an extended service plan, these customers can take advantage of the jewelers' services for the life of the product. These services include cleaning, repair, watch tuning, damage checks, refurbishment and more.

• Credit options: Kay offers customers credit options to help them finance their purchases.

• Best for: Couples getting engaged and customers looking to buy a luxury gift.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

OH
www.kay.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use