Kay Jewelers

Compare Jewelry Stores

Research top Jewelry Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have 2 things from Kay. One is a Necklace in the shape of a figure 8 with an opal and a pink sapphire and the other is an all opal bracelet. Paying over 400 dollars total for these products just to have them break in about a month span IS RIDICULOUS!!! I have had 5 replacement necklaces since February of 2016 it is November and it broke once again. Walmart necklaces don't break as much. The warranty doesn't do **. When I took it to be fixed they "forgot" to send it in for about a month! The Bracelet snapped where the "real silver" is supposed to be. Just snapped in half like tin foil. I don't do anything to make them break. They just one day fall off and I take my items off to sleep and shower. I will never buy Kay again. Worst products and sales people suck! Took you people over 2 months to resizes my brother's engagement ring as well! What kind of service is this? If you want pictures I can submit them later.

I bought a ring for my wife and I left the ring to be resized. It took them two months to resize the ring what was supposed to be only two weeks, they did not apologize for the waiting time, they did not care about the business or the customer.

My husband purchased my 25th Anniversary ring at Jared's... 8,700.00. Everything was fine until I picked the ring up after purchasing. 1st I noticed one of my stones had a black particle. I would not have purchased a ring with that stone. 2nd, when I complained it was not correct "oh well" it's your ring. 3rd. When I took the ring in to have it inspected (their 6 month policy), they stated the stones were loose and that I hadn't purchased a 99.00 warranty policy for repairs. Never knew about the policy warranty. They took the ring, sent it out for repairs and the stones were set crooked and wrong.

When I complained they claimed it was the lighting. BS... Well the stones they messed with fell out. I took the ring to a good independent jeweler and had the stones replaced, had the ring set correctly and paid for it out of my pocket. And I had it appraised while it was at the jewelers... Only appraised for 4700.00 KAY'S, JARED'S or whatever name you're going by at this time... GOOD BYE. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE FROM YOU AGAIN.

I have had a open active account with Kay's since June of 2013. I was never late or behind on the account until this past summer I was off from work for 3 months. The insurance program that they provide with the account was suppose to make my monthly installments of 180.00 a month to the company. They finally approved a payment of 502.00 to the account leaving me a balance of 327.00 left to pay off. I talked with customer service this week and everything was fine on my account.

After the insurance company was used to make the payments, Kay's closed my account without notification, revoke my 5300.00 credit limit and has no real explanation of why. Everything on my credit report shows no negative activity or late payments. Everything was showing positive until I walked in to make a purchase. Not only was the purchase denied, they closed my account. This is going to have a negative impact on my credit report. Their insurance practices need to be investigated. Why require someone to purchase a service and once they use it their account gets closed? I have been working hard to build my credit for them to destroy it overnight.

I bought a diamond ring and I believe when it was sent in for sizing the diamond I got back was not mine. When I asked them to match it with the original paperwork they couldn't find the paper work. Sooo! I traded it for different diamond. Again I believe I didn't receive the diamond I chose. Will never buy another diamond from them again. Always have your diamond mapped before you send it in for work.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kay Jewelers?

In March of 2014, my husband purchased my engagement ring from Kay Jewelers. It's a beautiful black and white diamond artisan piece. Within a couple months, two of the small stones had fallen out and had to be replaced. When it was returned to the store after replacement, one of the white diamonds appeared discolored. When I questioned the manager about it, she stated that it appeared that some of the powder that the repair shop used hadn't been brushed out completely so the ring had to be sent back for the stone to be reset. Not long after, the center diamond fell out while I was making my daughters bed. Again, the ring was sent off for repair. A few months later, the center stone fell out yet again.

When my husband and I entered the store the next day to address yet another issue, the manager looked at the woman next to her and said "great, it's them again" loud enough for us to hear her as we were walking in. Due to it being the second time the same exact stone had fallen out, my ring was replaced at that time and ordered in my size instead of being resized because they said that may have been what was causing the constant issues. Despite not wanting to lose my initial ring for sentimental reasons, I hoped this would be the end to the ongoing problems so I agreed. At this time my ring is currently in their possession yet again because the center stone has fallen out for the third time. When I took it to the store this time, the new manager advised me that "I just need to understand that these things happen".

Two weeks after I dropped it off for repair, the manager called me stating that it had been received back in the store. However the stone was set crooked so he was sending it back out to be corrected. Two days ago, nine weeks after it being initially sent for repair, I called to inquire because I'd heard nothing from the store. The manager answered the phone and after attempting to explain for several minutes why I was calling, he still had no clue what I was taking about. I was finally able to jog his memory at which point he began "checking the system" to see where things stood. He came back on the line a few minutes later only to tell me that a ring had been in their store for over 3 weeks. However he needed to investigate to make sure it was my ring and was the finished product. I've made several calls to customer care only to get the assurance that someone will contact me within 24-48 hours. I've left multiple messages with the district manager with no response.

In addition, I reached out to Kay on Facebook only to receive a template-response to please provide them with my contact info... Then when doing so, received an email that again, someone would contact me in 24-48 hours. Two years of repeated outreach to incompetent and uncaring customer service while trying to resolve issues with a very expensive ring that holds up like it was found in a cracker jack box. Very disappointed to say the least!

The Kay Jewelers lifetime diamond guarantee is a sham if you don't have the ring "inspected" every 6 months. They prey upon you not doing this so they can try and coerce you into buying a new diamond by saying yours is too damaged to reset.

In April 2016 my fiancé and I bought a $5000 Le Vian engagement ring and band from the Kay store in arrowhead mall. While so happy to find this beautiful ring we were blinded of the stupidity of their employees. They told us that with the purchase of the engagement ring we would be receiving a $100 for every 300 that we spent and it would be on our account. We were like great so we bought my wedding band as well that day. Note we received $1200 in rewards money, $300 of that we got to use towards the band so we still have $900 left to use... Great we planned to use it for his wedding band.

When my fiancé brought the engagement ring in to get sized he waited 2 weeks to get it back, when he went to pick up the ring he noticed that there was no rose gold on the middle halo. He brought it to the employee's attention and the employee then tried to point out something that wasn't there. At first my fiancé said ok then the guy tried to sell him matching earrings and that's when my fiancé was sure that it wasn't right. He said "isn't my ring supposed to look like this?" The employee now grabbed someone else and asked for his opinion, they even pulled it up on the website and we're going back and forth. They came to the conclusion to send it out... again. So they send it out, he waits another 2 weeks and when he gets it back and proposes. We noticed that it was not rose gold. It was yellow gold... so we bring it back to Kay and show them.

The lady that works with us this time again is trying to say "no no no it is rose gold. It's just the lighting" and then I show her the chains that are right next to us and say "this one here is yellow gold, right?" She says yes, and I say "and this one here is rose gold correct?" She says yes. Ok I said "isn't my ring supposed to look like this rose gold chain and if so why does it look like this yellow gold chain?" She now says "well if it's not rose gold enough for you we'll send it out." This is now the 3rd time my ring is being sent out to be worked on it and it is gone for another 2 weeks.

When I went to go pick it up this time they have dyed the prongs that hold the chocolate diamonds completely white gold when they were darkened to make them pop. So 3 times they took my ring and screwed it up. I wasn't about to make it a fourth. I contacted customer care and talked to a few different people, Stormy is one of them. Stormy and I talk and she agrees to send me a new ring, I asked her to order the ring in a size 6 which she refused. She said she would transfer the ring from another store after I expressed to her I didn't want Kay to touch my ring anymore. So instead of resolving the issue right here, and order it in a 6, it continues.

She transferred a new ring (not in my size) and I pick it up from the store. I go to a different store affiliated with Kay to talk to them about my issues... she told me to put a sizer on so I will be able to at least wear it, so she did that for me. I called customer care back and explained again that I didn't want Kay to work on my ring and asked why Stormy did not order the new ring in my size. Kelly the woman I spoke to today had no answer for that but she said they will not replace the ring in my size because that is not a real issue for them even though I have gone through so much. She told me that I would have to send my ring to Le Vian to get it sized which takes anywhere from 4-8 weeks.

I am extremely upset and dissatisfied with how Kay treated me after spending so much in their store and going through all that I did. I do not recommend to anyone to go to Kay and buy a ring. The people in the store are uninformative and don't really know about their products. Every person you ask will tell you something different. Oh and to add on top of all of that we lost out on that $900 of rewards money because they failed to tell us it expired in July.

The merchandise I bought is stunning and at a decent price. My issues is I feel duped in spending more I can afford. They were boasting the $100 gift card with purchase of $300. Well I thought I can get a pair of earrings to match the two rings I purchased. You can buy nice gemstone earrings around $100. What they failed to tell me is the $100 coupon is only good on another $300 purchase minimum. I am rather pissed for I can not afford to spend another $300 on top of the $400 I just paid just to use the coupon. If I knew this I would of just bought the $119 sterling silver gemstone ring instead of 2.

My husband purchased our engagement ring from Kay in 2010, and he paid extra for the service plan. About a month and a half ago, I took my ring in for an inspection and cleaning, like I have every six months (at least) since it was purchased. They sent it in for repairs saying that there was a "divot" in it. No problem - I figured it would be 3 weeks, and I'd have it back. Except that I hadn't heard anything at four and a half weeks. So, I finally called, and was informed that my ring was "damaged beyond repair"- the channels were too worn, and it was no longer able to be covered by the ESP.

Because my ring design had been discontinued, and because I'd kept up with inspections, they would allow me a credit towards a new ring. Here's the problem... rings in 2016 are MUCH more expensive. So, now in addition to losing one of my most precious possessions (with many memories tied to it), I have to fork over more money I get a lesser ring. This is WRONG! It's horrible customer service, and the warranty clearly means nothing... I'm heartbroken. We've never had trouble until this point, Kay's has always been very helpful.

Now, after researching this issue, I'm finding that I'm not alone! What kind of company can do this and get away with it? The worst part? There's nothing I can do. I'm stuck with Kay's or I lose the money we initially paid for the ring. There is no refund option six years after your initial purchase. I'd love to see them stand behind their products and offered warranty, but I'm starting to have serious doubts as to whether or not that will occur.

Bad quality over prices. Bad customer service; unprofessional and without a doubt they only see $$$$ signs. Heartless as they rip you off for the hard-earned money no matter how you got it or are getting it. They hire amateurs for employees that don't know ** from good chocolate. They say every kiss begins with K but what they need to do is say every nice feeling and what should be a great experience in the diamond business they manage to take it away from you; they kill your feeling experience and it begins with K. I hate to go to another jeweler but they left me no choice after not once but three bad experiences in spite of me giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Kay Jewelers is not customer or experience friendly and is a BUYER BEWARE! NO slander just sharing my experience and is it not sad that they do this to customers including myself? My dream store has become so heartless. Do your full, entire homework and background check any diamond store before committing to a long life relationship with a diamond that is very expensive. I hope that someday they can become what every customer wants -- good customer service and a fantastic experience assuring you a lifelong commitment as a returned customer.

We purchased a band to be solder to my engagement ring for the ceremony. When I got the ring back, it was not solder. We had to return the rings back to the store after the ceremony in order to get the services we needed. We live an hour from the store. I asked the clerk what could she do since it was not our fault? She replied, "I can offer you a stick of gum. I am sorry this is all I can do." REALLY??? We purchased a $3500 engagement ring, $1000 band for him and $700 band for me. I will be closing our account. Please, don't purchase anything from Kay's Jewelry. Pay attention to the comments. They will help you in the long run.

From the first time I went into Kay Jewelers in the boca town center mall every experience I have had has been horrible. My fiancé purchased my engagement ring and picked out a wedding band to place on layaway in 2012. Kay Jewelers took it upon themselves to sell my wedding band to someone else without contacting us to ask if we were making any kind of payment when it was placed on layaway. To find out when I went in for my ring inspection that it had been sold I was mortified and upset because there was no other band in that store that went with my one of a kind ring.

From that point on I had several problems with my engagement ring from stones falling out to the prongs that held my ring together were constantly loose after having to send out my ring multiple times for repair. Every time I got my ring back weeks later there was always an issue with my ring. They told me because my ring had been repaired multiple times they would have to replace my ring to find out my ring had been discontinued. They never offered to get me into a better enhancement ring to avoid all the constant issues I encountered.

A day before I was leaving to go out of state I get to Kay's and my diamonds were taken out of my ring and placed into a different band. I was mortified. I never gave them permission to rip my ring apart. To have to go through that stress being pregnant was not a very pleasant day or experience for me. The store manager had to replace my ring because of the disaster that happened with my original ring. How memorable is this for a woman who was given a beautiful ring.

Having to deal with so much I didn't even want the ring anymore. My fiancé made the mistake by purchasing me a necklace last Christmas to have issues with that as well. They treated me like dirt. For the last time I dropped off my necklace for repair almost 2 months ago and never got a call from the store that is was ready so my jewelry has been sitting in their store for over a month without trying to reach me.

I have had it with all Kay Jewelers locations as I have had to go to several locations to have my ring inspected because I can't trust anyone with any of my jewelry. After speaking with cooperate they have done nothing to help us or compensate us so I am forced to sell my ring and take my business elsewhere. I would never recommend anyone to go into Kay's as they will either sell your jewelry, mishandle the jewelry and their customer service is a disgrace. They don't even have someone to fix the jewelry onsite so when it's sent out you have to wait weeks to get it back and hope it will still in one piece or not damaged. To get compensation you have to spend more to get better and it's a sad shame.

Our recent experience with Kay Jewelers at the mall of NH has been an absolute outrage. My boyfriend purchased a pink heart shaped sapphire as a gift in 2014 for me. We have since returned it several times for the stone just falling out. This last time they stated they were not able to fix or replace. Offered to put stone in a cage for a necklace so that we may keep the heart stone. Between the manager and assist manager we thought we were getting the cost of the ring back towards necklace creation but... lo and behold pure **. They stated because they were only using stone they would not credit us NOTHING and it would cost out of my pocket more $$$. I ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT PUT REFUND OF RING TOWARDS ANYTHING FROM ANY KAY JEWELERS LOCATIONS. I strongly recommend that no one else bother with this establishment. You will be fooled.

I purchased a Class Ring for my son. Gave the girl the year and his name to go on the ring. They forgot to put the year! I am calling them in the morning to speak with them. I hope I have more luck than all you folks on this blog! I mean really a class ring without a graduating class date? SMH.

If I knew then what I know now I would have never bought anything from this store or any Kay stores. They are frauds, thieves, and con artists. My husband before we got engaged had gone overseas and bought 2 stones for me on his deployment. We had heard great things about Kay's prior to getting rings to set the stones in.

Before we had purchased anything from Kay's we had asked several times what the warranty covers. We were told numerous times not only by Sara who sold us our rings but also by the store manager Ramone that the warranty would cover everything on the rings including the stones even though the stones weren't bought through Kays. Me being paranoid asked them a few more times before we decided to get our rings through Kay's if the warranty covered the stones as well as the actual rings themselves. We were guaranteed by Ramone and Sara that any normal wear and tear on the rings would also cover anything that would happen to the stones whether or not they were purchased through Kay's or not.

This is where all of our trouble begins. The day that we pick up my actual engagement ring that has a black sapphire stone in it that my husband got while deployed had a crack all the way through the stone that was not there when we dropped it off to be set in my engagement ring. Keep in mind my husband hadn't even proposed to me yet. We went back into the store to show them just to be told by Sara "There's nothing there. The stone is fine."

We took across the hall to Jared's where Kay's sends all their rings to be fixed and their jeweler without even looking through a magnifying glass or hearing about the crack in the stone, held it about foot from his face and said "You know there's a crack all the way through your stone?" We went right back to Kay's, told them what was said to us by Jared's and Sara "magically" saw the crack we were talking about. Come to find out through a Kay's employee who physically handed us the emails that Jared's had sent them about the crack in the stone and asking Kay's if they should still set the stone. They also had physically called Kay's and asked them what they should do and Kay's office manager I believe her name is Jennifer told them to go ahead and set it. We never received a phone call, email, text, or anything about the crack in the stone. They still have yet to admit they damaged my stone.

My other ring the stone fell out of the setting and I was accused of ripping it out of the setting even though the prongs weren't bent or broken. My engagement ring itself had to be sized 4 times and the soldering is still off even though I have taken it in twice to be fixed. Not even a month after we got married a prong broke. I took it in to get it fixed. I told them about the soldering not lining up they said they would fix it and they didn't. My ring fit before I had the prong fixed and I couldn't even get it past my knuckle after they fixed the prong. I took it back in and was told that they could no longer fix the soldering on my ring because "it would damage the stone" yet they just fixed a prong that physically touched the stone.

I also brought to their attention that my other stone in my other ring was loose and that I was afraid it was going to fall out. Ramone's response was "There's nothing wrong with this ring. It's fine. You should take it down to the Jewellery doctor." That jeweler said that my stone was loose, was in the wrong setting, my engagement ring was a size smaller than my wedding bands, the soldering was off, and that resizing my wedding ring would not have any effect on the stone.

I went to Ramone with this information and he stated "I told you the stone was loose and that it wasn't going anywhere." He then told me that maybe I gained too much weight which is why wedding ring won't fit anymore which is funny because I was the same weight when I took it in for the broken prong as I was when I took it back to get the soldering fixed which wasn't even a month later. Since then my loose stone that Ramone said wasn't going anywhere has once again fallen completely out of the setting once again.

My husband and I have been told so many lies by this company. It's ridiculous. We don't even bother talking to a store manager when we have issues with my rings. We go to customer care which is how we found out that they lied to us about what the warranty covers even though Sara and Ramone assured us that our stones would be covered by the warranty no matter what. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY OR TIME WITH KAY'S. THEY ARE A RIP OFF. THEY ARE FRAUDS AND THIEVES!!!

I was sold a "lifetime battery warranty" in April 2015 at the Boynton Beach Mall store. Today I presented my warranty and watch for the free battery replacement I had been promised. I was told they had "changed the policy" and now there would be an additional charge of $60 and the watch would have to be sent away to have the battery installed. In April 2015 they could install a $5 battery in the store. When I confronted the employees and store manager about the fact that I had in my hand my "lifetime warranty" they said they could not honor it due to corporate policy change. So, I asked them to refund my money for purchasing the lifetime warranty that they are now unwilling to honor, and they REFUSED to refund my money. They told me "you can call corporate." This company is dishonest. Run, don't walk, to another store with your money!

My Dad whom is terminally ill purchased a ring for me for my birthday. The store we brought it to charged us $35 to have the ring sized even though it was brand new. I was notified from my husband after he dropped it off that it would cost $35. I called the store and spoke with someone that answered the phone and explained that the ring is brand new and my Dad purchased the wrong size. I was told that it would be taken care of and not to worry about the fee. Today the ring was ready and my husband went back to pick it up. The store manager told him we have to pay $30. I spoke to her and explained the situation. The store manager was very rude and talking over me and said that they will not take away the fee because when he dropped it off he agreed to pay the $35. She then told me that if it was sized at purchase that it would be free. I tried to explain again that it is brand new.

She did not want to hear what I had to say and continued to talk over me then hand the phone back to my husband and told him that I was not listening to her. Now my Dad whom is terminal from cancer has to go back to the store with me tomorrow to try to see what we can do because the credit card in which he used was in his name. Please tell me how this is customer focused. I would rather pay the money than make my sick father go into the mall. This is not fair by any means. DO NOT SHOP AT KAY'S. They do not care about their customers.

The most unprofessional and in my opinion dishonest jewelry store I have ever done business with. Took my girlfriend in to buy a genuine sapphire and diamond ring. We spent 30 minutes in there during which time several of the sales people could not answer simple questions regarding warranties. After picking out a ring we had them call their custom desk to see how much the sapphire replacement for the existing Garnet would be. They came back with a total quote for the ring of around $900. I had shopped several other stores and knew this to be a reasonable price. I paid for the ring and we walked out very happy expecting to be able to present it to my girlfriend before her birthday.

Instead a few days later I get a call from the jewelry store saying that they had made an error in measuring the size of the replacement gem. They then stated that they would like to offer me a lab-created stone instead of the genuine Sapphire for the same price. Of course I balked and said no that was not satisfactory. They then said that I could have the stone that I wanted but it would be another $1,000! What a joke! I had already priced Rings elsewhere and this was nowhere near what the price point should be.

I asked to speak to the manager and told her it is their mistake and a breach-of-contract. She hung up on me after I got quite agitated with her ridiculous responses. I then called back and told them to cancel the order. They said I would have to come in and present the card in order for it to be cancelled which of course is ridiculous. I then called another store and got the name of the district manager and left a message for her. Of course I am not holding my breath to receive a return call. Technically this is breach of contract in my opinion and I will never do business with them again. A half an hour later I found a higher-quality ring of the same kind available on Blue Nile and ordered it. Don't trust these people at all. Their mistake and Mismeasurement should not be my extra cost.

I called the store today to see if I could return a pair of earrings that I wore for the first time since I bought them in which I am eight days late on the 60 day period. When I called I talked to Liz and she told me that the store can't do it over the 60 day mark so I asked if there was anyway I could go about it another way. She then told me the only way was if I called the home store and got it approved through them but otherwise I could only exchange them. I called the home office and spoke to Geraldine and told her I was told I could return the earrings if they approve it. She then called the store I got the info from where I bought the earrings and spoke to them about what was said. Geraldine proceeds to tell me that the girl gave me the wrong info and they don't have to return them if the store didn't want to. So I guess I'm more mad at the fact I was misled when I initially called.

Needless to say I'd rather have the money than exchange for more jewelry when I already bought 3 necklaces, 1 bracelet, 2 pairs of earrings, and 1 ring - all with warranties from there this year. I by all means I'm not trying to be rude just frustrated because most stores would just do the return. It's not written in stone. It's made by human being. It's a shame because of this one incident has changed how I feel about the company.

Went to Kay's in the Goldsboro, NC mall on 08/12/2016 and bought a charm and stopper ($117.00) for my charm bracelet. We looked at a few rings there and was asking questions about the trade in etc. She looked up all paperwork and the value of the engagement ring and two bands was $2098.00 in which she explained that we would have to get something $4,196 or more. We looked at a few rings etc... Friday August 19th the diamond man would be there so we were going to come back on that date.

Went back to Kay's on 08/16/2016 to buy/order a ring. She went back through the paperwork again and we picked out a ring that was doubled the $2098.00. At the same time, I had brought my ring and the other lady was doing the diamond test/inspection. Back in March 2016, I had brought my ring in for inspection and cleaning and it was noted that nothing was wrong. The lady came back and said a prong was loose and the middle diamond was chipped and that I couldn't trade it in and would need to get credit in which they begged me over 20 minutes to do or pay cash for the entire amount.

I told that lady I just brought it in a couple of months ago and it is noted on the paperwork I handed to her that NOTHING was wrong with it. After the two ladies sat in the corner whispering she came back and said what they can do is send it off to be repaired under warranty and it would take 6-8 weeks. We decided to go ahead and pay it all up front and once the ring came back we would get a refund check.

The total price for the ring I was getting was around $5300.00 and we explained to them we had brought $4500 in cash and would use the debit card for the rest. It took two of these ladies and about 30 minutes later to realize they had to use gift cards for the cash and that they could only use one gift card with $2000 a piece on it and another card at a time. We were extremely frustrated. We told them (this was 930 pm) that we would come back tomorrow with the gift card and would get the daily limit on my boyfriend's card increased so we could only use two cards.

August 17 2016: Kay's called and the original ring we saw and loved had come in. I had gone online and found two rings. They were both Neil Lane rings around $4500 a piece. Both days all they kept saying is you can add his wedding band to it and apply for credit. No one was trying to truly help us buy a ring in which we had $4500 in cash and $3500 in debit card transactions.

To make a long and frustrating story short I asked the lady to give me figures. What was the cost, how much for everything, what do we pay today etc. We got several different figures. She obviously sucks in Math and then she kept saying we were only getting $1799 for my ring but couldn't tell us why etc. We walked out. Two days, $8000 in money, 4.5 hours of waiting in Kay's and no sale and now my boyfriend has to wait 10 days to get a check for the $2000 those idiots put on a gift card in which they should have known the max amount you could place on a gift card and the fact you could only use a certain number of cards to order online before actually doing it.

My ring has been sent off which according to the news will more than likely get lost, come back as a totally different ring, or the diamond they will replace will be some sorry cheap one.This has ruined the ENTIRE experience of buying a ring and caused a lot of tension that shouldn't have been placed. The thing is, I was on several posts defending Kay's when people were complaining about their rings, now I am in their boat.

I'm very concerned with the store. The store manager Lorena and the assistant store manager Claudia on two separate occasions I've watched them treat their employees to a hostile work environment and also experienced how they treated customers. My husband has bought several pieces of jewelry from Kay that have broken all the way to my wedding ring. The second day I had my ring I noticed that one of the stones was not flush with the side and I took the ring in and when I entered the store I was not greeted. I was not even acknowledged. My fiance at the time and I were standing there for quite some time before someone even acknowledged us. This was one of the first encounters. I knew something wasn't right.

I went in. I explain my situation. The store manager told me that there was nothing wrong with the ring. She used a microscope and said there is nothing wrong with the ring. You could clearly see that the ring was not flush. The store manager argued with me. At that point I got so frustrated I left. A couple months went by and I had to go back because my ring finally broke in half and I had to get it resized. At that point when I went in to get it resized my aunt went with me and we were still there and spoke to the assistant store manager Claudia who reprimanded her employee in front of us and was helping us on and off because she was too busy reprimanding her employee.

Then I came back to pick up my ring and I noticed that the was still not flush with the side. After me not having the ring for 8 to 10 weeks corporate said nothing was wrong with it. I brought it back into the store. As soon as I stepped out and explain my situation again and the person I was speaking with store manager assistant and store manager both told me nothing was wrong with it. Corporate has approved that it was fine and there's nothing they can do. Three weeks ago the stone fell out the same stone that was not flush with the side of the ring. I went in and spoke with Jesse. The assistant store manager explain to him what was going on all the issues that I've had. He said that there wasn't a whole lot he can do other than send the ring and to have the stone reset.

I signed the order to have the reset the stone. He gave me the phone number for customer care and said that I could give them a call to see if there was any way they could get this expedited further. I called the customer care that Wednesday and spoke with a representative explain my story. She put me on hold for a short while. She told me when she got back on the phone, "With all the issues you've been having we're going to send your ring back and exchange it for a new ring."

That following Saturday my now husband and I went to the store to pick out a ring so we knew what to get when the old ring came back. When we entered the store we were greeted by Patti. She spent time with us help us pick out a ring go over some of the financial options that were available and also different ring sizes things of that nature gave us all the information on the ring. She was empathetic and provided great customer service. I've never been treated so well as when I dealt with her and Jesse.

I have been waiting for a callback to find out when the old ring would be received back from corporate. I checked in daily. Friday I called customer care to find out if they had a tracking number on the old ring it should have been back at the store it's been over a week and a half. When I called I was advised that the store has not requested the ring back. At this point with all that I've been treated with from the store and how everything has gone through I explained everything to the representative. She placed me on a hold. While on the hold the representative called the store, spoke with the store manager, explain the situation, and the store manager was declining the request of the old ring back.

When the representative got on the phone and told me what had happened at this point I did ask to speak with a manager. I was on the phone with one of the managers at customer care and she advised me that they are going to honor my deal that they're waiting to hear back from the district manager because there was new policies and procedures requiring any exchange as such the transaction we were completing to be approved by the district manager.

I have also since received a phone call from the store manager Loretta on her personal cell phone who called me let me know that everything has been taken care of and I can come down and get it exchanged that day Friday April 8th or I can wait until the following Friday when my new ring is sized and back in store and she will have it expedited. I was happy with that but then she went on to tell me to "pick up your little phone since I have contacts at corporate and tell them that this has been resolved."

I cannot believe anyone would speak to a customer that way and I cannot believe that she's still a store manager with all that she's put people through. On Yelp this store location has a two out of five rating because of the way people have been treated. I don't know what they need to do at corporate to promote Jesse and Patty for all that they've done for their customers and provide such great experience but these two in that store deserve to have a higher position than they have and the other two people who have treated us so poorly should be removed from management. I picked up the new ring on 04/16 and noticed yesterday 08/06 it was broken!!! I haven't even had it for a full 4 months and I already had it inspected once and they said everything was find.

Go somewhere else. Please. I don't want anyone else to deal with this. We bought a diamond for my great grandmothers engagement setting. Good quality, appraised higher than what we paid (with the GIA documentation). You can get that anywhere though. The bad review is because of 3 things:

1. They don't do any work in the shop. They send it to Jared. Why not just go there? They never had any info on my rings, they had to call over to Jared and ask. Also I never got a clear answer I trusted about where my ring was in the process. I was told one time the wax was done and would be in the store the next day. When I called 2 days after that (because I never heard from them)... I was told it was only just being started and would be another 2 weeks!

2. Customer service is not acceptable. Again, they send it to Jared. I had a wedding band custom made that matched my great grandmothers vintage engagement ring. Just white gold. No diamonds, stones. Just the leaf-like detail from the band. The quality of the work is sub par at best. I could've gone to a Nordstrom or a Charming Charlie and bought something similar for a quarter of the price. I was told it would match exactly and it does not. At all. To me it's only a resemblance.

When I went to approve the wax I mentioned that some of the detail was missing, and that is what makes it so special to me. The lady at the counter looked closely with one of the tools and assured me it was there so I trusted her. It was hard because you're looking at green wax. I approved it. She was very wrong. And now I'm stuck with a wedding band I don't like. And I am going to to go somewhere else to have it completely redone after the wedding... which leads me to my third point.

3. It takes forever. They don't know what's going on because they ship things off. What I was told would take about 6 weeks took a full 3 months. Now it's 2 weeks before my wedding, and I'm stuck with something I don't like. I went to the store within 24 hours of when any piece of the process was in and waiting for me, and that's how long it took. Having them redo the wax once did add to the time frame... but that should be included. I feel like I was intentionally mislead about the time frame.

Through all this I've heard about what a terrible reputation Kay has. For switching out diamonds, losing irreplaceable pieces, and sub par service. I will say the people that worked there were as kind as they could be. They're limited by the company. But it's not worth it. I had my reservations about Kay in the first place, and I was right. Save yourself. Go somewhere else.

Bought a wedding ring. No fitting size. They promised to order me my size. Waited for a call from the store for 3 weeks. No call. I call but the manager is so nonchalant. I go back to the store. They say they have submitted my case to the headquarters. And that I should wait for 24 to 48 hours until the local store hears from the headquarters. Which store does not hear from the headquarters for 24 to 48 hours. This store is a big fat joke. Please avoid them unless you do not care about your money.

My husband purchased a 1 ct diamond ring from Kay Jewelers in Regency Mall, Jacksonville, FL in March 2015. I took my ring in several times to be cleaned. Not once did anyone ever ask me did I want to have my ring inspected. They only tried to get me to trade in my ring for a new one. On today, I noticed that my diamond was missing. I took my ring back to the store where I purchased it. The salesman struggled to find my account, but eventually found it. Upon trying to start the claim, he appeared to run into a problem and called someone over to assist him. The other lady, punched some info into the register and told me there seemed to be a problem, something about the numbers not matching the guarantee. I was advised to return to the store with my original paperwork.

I went home and found my paperwork and decided to call the customer service number to see what was going on because I also noticed two different numbers. I was told that my ring wasn't covered because I didn't bring my rings in for the 6 months inspections. This is totally a scam. A brand new car cost way more than this ring, but if something has a lifetime guarantee, they replace it with no problem. I only have 2 more payments left before paying for the ring and now I have no diamond. This is ludicrous!!! I am beyond mad. I wish I had followed my husband, because he saw a ring in another store in the same mall, but I wanted this one.

On 06/15/16 my 1.65 carat diamond fell out of my wedding ring setting, which was purchased in 2001. I immediately took the stone and setting to Kay Jewelers in Fayetteville, GA. When the ring was purchased insurance for the stone and setting were purchased as well. The store examined my stone and said that there was a crack in the diamond but that they would send it out for repair. The store manager stated that I would have to sign a waiver because the diamond had a crack. I stated that if it could not be remounted, please let me know and return it so that I could have it repaired elsewhere.

On 06/27/16, I received a call from the store manager at your Fayetteville store stating that my ring was due back to me on 06/28 but it was not able to be repaired. I asked about the promise that was made to notify me once the jeweler evaluated the ring whether or not I would need to sign a waiver. That was supposed to occur on the 06/17 per the mgr. of your store. I said that I would take it to another jeweler and I was assured that I would get a call as to whether it could be repaired by the 17th. Having not received a call, I assumed that it was being repaired only to get a call saying that it was sent out to not one, but two jewelers per the store manager. I am appalled about the lack of professionalism with the store mgr. and was not told that it would be sent to another jeweler because the first jeweler declined the repair. I should have been notified if it was sent anywhere other than the initial jeweler!

Once I picked up my ring, I took it to another jeweler who said that it could be remounted using a V-shaped prong. My only request was that if Kay Jewelers could not repair it and it was under warranty that they would allow me to take it to the jeweler that could and pick up the cost. A mere $435.00 for a ring valued at 10,000.00. The store's lack of professionalism, customer service, and incompetence was the last thing that I expected when I left my ring for repair. I am totally appalled because the store manager was disrespectful and acted as if I were not a valued customer and I felt as though I had done something wrong. In addition, when dealing with customer care, I was treated with the same disrespect! Seriously?

I brought in a heart necklace three different times for the chain to be repaired. The third time I brought the chain in it was broken again. I think the chain was too thin for the heart was on the heavy side. At the time I noticed a stone was missing on the heart and told the clerk that, I had not noticed it before. Anyway the sales girl took the necklace and said that the heart had to be repaired. She then took the necklace and just placed it in a repair box. I asked her for paperwork and she said that I did not need it, that the necklace was to be repaired. I told her I wanted a replacement. She ordered one for me. She called me about 3 weeks later and said that the necklace had come in.

I went to the store in Columbia Mall, in Columbia, Missouri. The store was giving me a one time replacement on this necklace. When I got there the new girl said that I could not have it. The necklace came in May 13, 2016. The necklace was being ordered from a special order store assortment. Needless to say I was highly upset that they did not give me the necklace or the one I brought in back to me. So, I no Longer will deal with any KAY Jewelers or recommend them to anyone. I feel like I have been stole from by a big jewelry store. I still want a replacement for the necklace or my necklace back and will take it to a reputable dealer to be repaired. But I feel like all is lost. Hope to hear from you on said above matter. The necklace was bought for me for mothers day from my son and daughter-in-law, I have not worn the thing but about a month the whole time I have had it. I loved the necklace, it was such a pretty one. Thank you.

My fiance purchased a two carat engagement ring for me. It needed to be sized because it was too large. When it came back, it looked different. It was the same ring, but for some reason I didn't love it. My fiance was the one who picked it up so I called the store to inquire if there could have been a mistake. I was told that there could not have been a mistake because the clerk had checked the mapping on my ring and it was identical. I went to the store and the manager immediately greeted me and told a couple that he was speaking with that I had the two carat of the one they were looking at.

When I asked him to bring me the original ring, he saw and admitted that my ring was not the correct one. The ring on my finger was obviously smaller. They had "inadvertently" delivered the one carat version to me. Because I no longer trusted them, I kept the display ring until they could "find" my ring. I always hate to bring my ring in to leave it because I am convinced that they swapped the stone at some point. My now husband has purchased many items from Kay for me, but I have asked him to promise never to buy another thing for me from that store. The diamonds from my tennis bracelet have fallen out on two occasions. Their explanation is that I wear it with other diamond tennis bracelets. Interestingly enough, none of those diamonds have fallen out.

I have several issues with Kay Jewelers. First there is my husband's wedding band we take in every 6 months for inspection and a free re-dip. After four years of religiously doing this his wedding band came back too big. I told the girl that can't be his band (it was the exact style). She actually argued with me that it was the same band and had not been re-sized. So when my husband got home he went in with the ring they gave me and it was 4 sizes too big... but it was the same ring.... yeah right. They then said "we can resize it for you for $75." Um no... after much arguing the ring was sent out and resized for free but the whole idea was it wasn't the ring I gave him on our wedding day. How can they be so nonchalant over someone's sentiment?

Problem #2 came with a citizen watch. I bought the watch on a cruise in 2006. When the battery finally gave out I took it to Kay's to be replaced. And yes I got the "we can't waterproof it without sending it out" talk. I didn't care if it was resealed for waterproofing. That battery lasted only 6 months. Had them put another one in but this time paid for the lifetime replacement of batteries. Back in almost a year later for another battery. So in 2014 I take it in again to have battery replaced and a girl takes it to the back and comes back 15 minutes later telling me she can't get the back off... to bring it back later when someone else is there.

As she gives me back my watch the entire back is scratched up. I took the watch back when someone else was there and she did get back off and put a battery in which only lasted 4 hours. So I had them put another one... same thing. My watch was no longer working. Are you kidding me? I had that watch for 8 years and never had a problem till they started doing the battery for it. I take excellent care of my jewelry. Of course they want to fix it... for a fee. No thank you.

And now to problem #3. I bought a 2 carat diamond bracelet from Kay in 2006 with the extended warranty plan. That bracelet has spent more time in the box than on my wrist... every six months there is always something wrong with it... loses diamonds, loose prongs, lost stones (one time I never took it out of the box from one inspection to the next and somehow it managed to lose a stone!) So under the plan it is always fixed for free. HOWEVER, this last time... March 2016... I was told they were damaging it out and I could pick out another bracelet or something else. The catch... that same bracelet is now worth $20,000 but I have to choose a $600 bracelet which is 1/4 carat now. But I couldn't have cash back or my bracelet back... I have to pick something else.

Can they even do this? I paid for it. It's mine. I'm very upset over this. My husband says he is getting the bracelet back and he will take it somewhere else to see about getting it fixed. So now I'm starting to wonder how much power they have with those plans. What if some day they do that to my engagement ring. I just don't know how these plans protect the consumer if at some point they choose not to honor it. Anyway... I'm starting to see a pattern with Kay jewelers in the last 3 years and I'm not liking it.

After returning a silver necklace to Kay Jewelers in Woodbury, MN several times for repair, they replaced it with a brand new identical necklace. I am very pleased with the manager of this jewelry store and how this issue was taken care of.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Kay is a jewelry company owned by Signet Jewelers that was founded in 1916, and the company is headquartered in Fairlawn, Ohio. It is one of America's biggest jewelry store chains with retail stores located in large shopping malls, and it also offers customers online shopping for a range of jewelry products.

• Design-a-ring: Kay lets customers design their own rings so they can ensure their wedding or engagement rings are unique.
  • Personalization services: The company personalizes jewelry for customers, including adding monograms or engraving special messages into jewelry pieces to make them one of a kind or tailored for a specific person.
  • Style finder: Customers can take advantage of Kay's Style Finder, which helps them find the right jewelry product they are buying as a gift or for themselves.
  • Extended service plan: The company provides customers who purchase and own their jewelry a number of services, and by purchasing an extended service plan, these customers can take advantage of the jewelers' services for the life of the product. These services include cleaning, repair, watch tuning, damage checks, refurbishment and more.
  • Credit options: Kay offers customers credit options to help them finance their purchases.
  • Best for Couples getting engaged and customers looking to buy a luxury gift.

Compare Jewelry Stores