2. Shopping
  3. Jewelry Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.27/5

Find the right jewelry store for you

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Find the right jewelry store for you

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Kay Jewelers Reviews

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

Amazed and touched by their generosity. Kay's had a National Cat Day post on Facebook, I replied with a collage of my kitties, they loved my post and gifted me with a free pair of black and white diamond paw earrings...just because! I had them shipped to me in TWO days...and it included a HANDWRITTEN note. I already buy all my good jewelry at Kay, that for sure won't be changing! Thanks Kay!!! That's some pretty awesome marketing and customer appreciation work!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

Wedding ring upgrade. The manager at the Paddock Mall In Ocala FL was absolutely amazing. She spent three hours helping us along with another employee. We ran into a few issues. One ring I wanted they just ran out, then I found another one and went to purchase it and it sold online that quick. They did not give up and we finally found something that I love. Needless to say they were extremely helpful and tried their best to help me find exactly what I wanted. Thank you ladies, I can’t wait to come pick up my ring on a few days!!

Get expert buying tips about Jewelry Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 3, 2019

This was the 4th jeweler I went to to have my wedding set repaired. Not only did they repair the rings to new, it was well above my expectations. The rings look as new as they did 25 years ago. On top of that, the store manager was so concerned with the delivery of my ring on schedule that she personally went to pick up the ring herself. Kay Jewelers will be the ONLY jeweler I deal with now because of their service and the trust I have in them. This is the Kay's at the Berkshire Mall, Wyomissing, PA.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I am going to have to give community credit for Kay jewelers a one star. I would give them less if I could. They are a very unprofessional creditor. I have numerous credit cards in my wallet from Target to Walmart and every one of them have sent me a letter letting me know that my card has been inactive too long and that I need to use it or they will close the account. Due to the fact that I only use my credit cards for larger purchases. Well Community Credit for Kay jewelers doesn't do that. They just think that it is OK to close your card without informing you whatsoever.

How unprofessional of a company or a bank to let a cardholder go in and try to purchase a product and be denied when you are in good standing. I mean how embarrassing to the cardholder to be denied in front of your family and other people in the store. Especially if it's due to inactivity and not late payments or something negative. I believe they have lost a great customer that would have purchased many things in the future but since they are unwilling to reopen my account without running my credit again they have lost me as a customer. My family is in the process of refinancing our home and a hard pull on my credit for Kay Jewelers would be damaging to our refinancing. I will no longer buy anything from Kay jewelers. I will not recommend Kay jewelers to anybody and in fact I will tell people to stay away from getting any type of credit through that company.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I've never written a review in my life. I ordered a necklace in December with overnight delivery. Christmas eve I chatted with their customer service rep, who advised me that due to an oversight my order was not processed. She advised that they will continue with the order and provide me a discount. I agreed, even though I was extremely embarrassed at not having this for Christmas. The necklace came a week or so after Christmas. My wife and I couldn't believe the way Kay handled their mistake was to offer me 10% off on my next purchase. Hilarious. I reached out to them and was told that is all they would offer. You are taking a risk by purchasing online at Kay.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kay Jewelers?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

Please DO NOT PURCHASE HERE. It all started around Sept 2017. Yes, 2017!! My wife and I purchased our wedding rings from Kay’s outlet in Aurora OH and it was one of the best moments we could’ve shared. Until our allergic reactions started. I always wore yellow gold until Kay’s outlet and I was introduced to white gold. Before we started shopping I told my rep that I was highly allergic to two main things which I was tested for at the age of 8 years old and that’s nickel and latex. We had no knowledge of jewelry so I had to make that very clear and trust that my sales rep would point me into the right direction. “Play the camera back”. My wife never really wore rings until she meet me and of course we had to match so yellow gold it was.

After months of having our “white gold rings” we noticed we were having reactions to our jewelry mostly my my finger was becoming discolored, itchy, dark red, and then started turning black. My wife’s finger stayed a dark red mostly irritated. We returned to the store months later and expressed our concerns, showed our fingers and pictures. The rep was very nice and pleasant as before she exchanged our rings out for “new white gold rings”. Months went by we were told to give our fingers time to heal with the new ones but our fingers never healed. The reactions continued the same as before. Once again months later our fingers are discolored even more therefore we went back. My wife decided to just keep her ring. She noticed our rep's attitude changed and she didn’t like anything anyway therefore we focused on my ring because my finger was way worse.

To make a long story short we returned to this store over 5 times and left with 5 different white gold rings. I was told I had to stay with something similar to what I had. During the exchanges We were told to take breaks in wearing the rings, maybe they were oxidized and needed cleaned, jokes of maybe we shouldn’t wear jewelry at all and etc. Side note. “White gold was the only option.” After my finger began to become permanently dark and after traveling from store to store for a resolution and sitting for hrs at the outlet each visit. We finally visited a regular Kay’s store that could help after debating with the women there that I googled white gold and it has nickel in it. After standing there for about 20 mins and listening to her tell me what my allergic reaction was and pointed out her certificates on the wall that somehow proved she knew more than google.

She finally had a guy that worked in the store call corporate to verify her words to ONLY FIND OUT GOOGLE WAS CORRECT AND THAT'S WHY OUR FINGERS ARE PERMANENTLY DAMAGED BECAUSE THEY ARE MADE OF NICKEL. She sent us back to the outlet and There was no apology ”play the camera back”. At this point the rep at the outlet was feed up and tired of seeing us the feelings were mutual. She had an attitude, started dodging us and our calls. Having reps tell us she placed orders that never came in, and etc. We sat in the parking lot and googled who to call and there was a customer service number. We called them. The phone rep called the store each time to only find out that they knew each other and wow did the situation become bias.

They stuck together and this rep from the outlet slandered my wife and I to the point the reps on the phones attitude would change they became rude and expressing they were doing us a favor and the next time it will just be a refund not an exchange. I should be lucky that they approved the exchange for a different metal which was rose gold and etc. I legally recorded that call. She expressed how the rep from the outlet said we were making this up and trying to get new rings over and over and etc. I have pictures of every reaction from every ring. She definitely slandered our names and character to whom ever would listen and I have those recordings as well.

We’ve called off and lose wages, I have had anxiety attacks, cried many of nights, and etc because how can such a beautiful moment turn so dark and how can people be so cruel. We don’t have much money which she knew and we did the best we could with what we had and she dismissed us as if we're nothing. She denied our refunds. Continues to slander us and now we're waiting for the district manager to step in. Words will never express how we FEEL..

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

Christmas gift-went to store w/ receipt. Husband paid cash-was told they don't give cash returns, check the fine print on their policy? Yes everyone reads the 4 page document right? If you pay cash you have to wait for them to send you a check about 2 weeks?? Why, it didn't take 2 weeks for buying? Will never go there again and am telling all my friends. Called Cust. Service. Told me for security issues? They don't trust their employees or what? Drove 45 minutes to return the item which is really poor quality. Buyers beware. VERY dissatisfied. No other option, just wait for your money in the mail.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

Well Happy New Year. Buyer beware of Kay!! Once again a diamond has fallen out. I will be dropping it off at Macomb Mall tomorrow and words are simply pointless at this point. Somehow though there should be a way to resolve such poor quality within five months...and that’s not including the upgraded prior because of quality. I truly am going to look further into what legal or review wise I can explain my heartbreak that my husband worked so hard for me to have something that was suppose to be special. Third diamond since July.... wedding bands have been fine for over six years mmmmm I suppose they only care about the wedding section. Melissa **

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

1. Long story - watch got run over, took in and asked them to fix, a girl filled out a form and said "sign here and we will call you with your estimate to fix it" which I signed. I got a call that it would be $150 to fix my $110 watch. It had sentimental value so I agreed. I got my watch back but it didn't keep time - they never fixed the inside of it. When I brought to their attention they said "You only signed for the exterior to be fixed. We will have to send in again for another estimate... Sign here." I get a call that it would he another $175 to fix the rest. Why would I pay $325 to fix a $110 watch, all because their employee doesn't know enough that when I say I want my watch fixed." I mean I want it to work too. I called corporate every day for 3 weeks sometimes multiple times a day. They finally fixed my watch free to get me off their back.

2. If you don't get your jewelry inspected every 6 months it voids the warranty, so when I went in they asked if I would also want my engagement ring cleaned (not purchased from there) so I agreed. When they came back out with all of my jewelry they said a prong was bent on my engagement ring and they can send it in for an estimate. I declined their offer and went straight to Kesslers diamonds where my husband bought it from. They said it looked like the prong had purposely been bent.
      3. I bartend part time. A woman came in that works at a local pawn shop and we got on the subject of Kay. She said, "You wouldn't believe how many people come in with "diamonds" to pawn they bought from Kay" and when she inspects them, they aren't real.

4. My sister bought me a ring there for my birthday. They don't sell them smaller than size 5. Well I am a 4.5, so I haven't even had my ring for an hour and they tried making money off me by charging me $40 to get it sized when it was bought from their store... Ugh this place is terrible!!!!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

I dropped off and paid $381 for repair of 3 rings. 2 of the 3 were completed, the third was determined to cost roughly twice as much as was quoted and wasn't worked on without my go-ahead. The stone on my onyx ring was poorly polished and there was no offer to correct it. Since the prepayment wasn't enough to cover repair of all 3 rings, the store should have first determined which ring, or rings, I wanted worked on because I didn't want to spend more money than I'd already paid them.

Per Kay's website "our KAY Jewelry Repair Team will determine .... the final cost of the repairs before sending it to our Design & Service Center" and "When you go to pick up your jewelry, you will .... confirm the proper jewelry repair services were completed, as well as ensure your satisfaction with the quality of the repairs." Neither of these assertions was true. Do these practices seem ethical to you? I won't do business there again.

Not sure about Kay Jewelers?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Jewelry Stores for you.

Kay Jewelers expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Kay is a jewelry company owned by Signet Jewelers that was founded in 1916, and the company is headquartered in Fairlawn, Ohio. It is one of America's biggest jewelry store chains with retail stores located in large shopping malls, and it also offers customers online shopping for a range of jewelry products.

• Design-a-ring: Kay lets customers design their own rings so they can ensure their wedding or engagement rings are unique.

• Personalization services: The company personalizes jewelry for customers, including adding monograms or engraving special messages into jewelry pieces to make them one of a kind or tailored for a specific person.

• Style finder: Customers can take advantage of Kay's Style Finder, which helps them find the right jewelry product they are buying as a gift or for themselves.

• Extended service plan: The company provides customers who purchase and own their jewelry a number of services, and by purchasing an extended service plan, these customers can take advantage of the jewelers' services for the life of the product. These services include cleaning, repair, watch tuning, damage checks, refurbishment and more.

• Credit options: Kay offers customers credit options to help them finance their purchases.

• Best for: Couples getting engaged and customers looking to buy a luxury gift.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team