2. Shopping
  3. Jewelry Stores

4.1/5 (73 ratings)

About Citizen Watches

Citizen Watches Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizen Watches?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizen Watches?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2021

I bought an eco-drive Citizen watch from the Bay. After about 7 months, I saw condensation inside when cold. There is no warranty from The Bay. For using the Citizen's warranty I have to send it to the US. As they mentioned in their email, they would check the problem and give a quote to repair it. It means no warranty. Anyway, it stopped working today. Just one year worked. Don't waste your money buying this watch.

Original review: March 12, 2021

Purchased a Citizen watch - eco drive many years ago and it was wonderful but the stem finally broke. Sent it in to Citizen watch company. They could not fix the stem and did not have the same watch to replace. So they offered me 50% off regular priced watch. Ok, went on website, you are to choose 3 watches in the order of your preference. Picked 3. Got email back - not one was available. Actually 2 were discontinued. What. You have the pictures on your web - but they are not available but even discontinued. Why have the pictures. Went through process again.

Finally found one that was available and in my price range. Ok. They charged my card. They enclosed the invoice with the number of the watch. 7 days later they asked for me to confirm the purchase. Yes Yes Yes. 7 more days go by - no watch. Finally I had had it. This was a nightmare. I asked for my money back and I'll go buy another brand of watch. Customer service is nonexistent. They appear not to actually carry a number of the watches on their website. Love eco-drive but don't love this company. Their tech guy was quite nice when I started this process almost 2 months ago.

Get buying tips about Jewelry Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

I bought a eco-drive watch during the police academy in Missouri. I had the watch less than a year. I was playing with my kids in a kiddie pool and realized that that there was moisture behind the face. I dried the watch and a dial fell off the watch. When I sent the watch in they denied my warranty and told me I would have to pay to fix it. They also said that my review would be deleted automatically. I have a 20$ watch that has lasted longer than a 450$ watch. I would tell any of my LEO brothers or sisters to stay away. Junk.

Original review: July 9, 2020

I purchased an expensive Citizen Eco-Drive watch (value $550) about 4 3/4 years ago. The watch has a 5 year warranty. The watch stopped 4 months ago. It is a solar watch that stopped taking a charge. I’ve tried contacting Citizen Watch Company by both the customer service number on their website and by email to site on their website. The voice message on the website refers you to the email address. I tried that and the number for repair. I received messages back saying that the messages could not be delivered. Very frustrating.

I have even tried to have the watch repaired at my expense by other watch repair companies. They all told me it would need to be returned to Citizen because it needed special parts. Right now no way to return the watch for repair or replacement; no humans to talk to; no viable addresses and no alternative for me. Shortly, the warranty will run out. This is terrible. My advice to anyone considering purchasing a Citizen Watch is, based on my experience, buy from another more responsible company. One that puts high value on customer service. Not this company.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

When one of the link pins in my Citizen Eco-Drive watch stopped working, it was surprisingly difficult to fix. At 9:01 am EDT on 12 July 2019 I tried calling (905) 415-1100 to try to reach Customer Service, to request a replacement watch link. I was put in a queue, and amongst numerous announcements I was invited to arrange a callback; however, I was also continually reminded that my estimated wait time was "zero minutes", so I kept waiting. Confusingly, the message also said "We are experiencing greater than normal call volume" -- this made little sense with an estimated wait time of zero. After nearly 20 minutes I gave up.

Later that morning when I reached an agent, there was no sincere expression of interest in fixing this. The agent did take my order and said that the watch link was in stock. Six hours later I got a voicemail saying that they had made a mistake and the link wasn't in stock. They said that they would get in touch when the link was next in stock.

They didn't. My followups later in the year, and this year, were frustrating. Recent example: when I rang on 3 January 2020, I was told that my link was "on backorder". When I pointed out that six months had passed and counting, there was a pause and then "Um, actually it's here and ready for pickup". When I asked for the link to be shipped, the response was no, there was a problem with their computers... and that I should call next in ten days to request for the link to be shipped then. There are too many examples like that to write here. But it's worth mentioning that when I called on 13 January, the price they tried to bill me was also incorrect and it took twenty-five (25!) minutes for the telephone agent to successfully input the correct price in their system.

When the watch link arrived on 27 January 2020, it worked well. In fact the whole Eco-Drive product itself has worked relatively well for many years and I'm grateful for the craftsmanship. But I would never buy a Citizen watch again, and even the next time my watch breaks I might just chuck it rather than seek a repeat of this 6-month ordeal. Someone else I know went through a similar run-around with Citizen, so my experience isn't unique.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I purchased cb5848-57l and it is defective. It is impossible to tell time when it is dark conditions. All I get excuses from customer service but no help to solve. I also get inaccurate information regarding AEHUT LL dealership who also refuses to help or exchange for watch with digital display light JY8101-52l.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

Bought a new Citizen watch and after about 2 weeks noticed that it was losing time (around 25 minutes). I reset the watch and monitored it and found it was in fact losing approximately 15 minutes per week. Returned it to the shop and they sent it to citizen for repairs. Around 4 weeks later I got a message stating that the watch was faulty (go figure) and that it would take up to 45 days to repair. Turns out that Citizen have had my watch for longer than I did. It was not an expensive watch and for the life of me I cannot understand why they did not just replace it rather than make me wait months for repairs.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I purchased a Citizen “CC7005 – 16G” Eco-Drive Men's 100th Anniversary Edition watch from Woodbury outlet store. I purchased this watch around 2pm on May 1st. However, after considering the watch’s size and the price, I decided to return it around 3:30pm on the same day. The store sales person said that there is a no-return policy. Nevertheless, when I purchased the watch, the sales person did not warn me that all items are not returnable.

When I spoke to the store manager Katherine over the phone (she refuses to see customers in person!), I asked her whether I need to call the police to make a record for the incident. She used a very rude tone and yelled at me saying that I have offended her and the store policy. Without letting me continue, she hung up my phone call. I was deeply SHOCKED!! I thought we are in the US – as a customer, I just want to get some basic service. And I do not understand why an unworn item cannot be returned, especially knowing that this item is not a final sales item. Be careful when you go to shop there. Stay away is the best strategy!

Original review: April 11, 2019

Bought this watch several years ago and it never worked right. Sent it back to the factory in Torrance to fix it under warranty. They had the nerve to charge me for a cracked crystal (which THEY damaged) and it still didn't work right. Unethical service and a garbage product. I rarely write complaints but this review is overdue and am frustrated that I threw good money away on an attractive doorstop. I just gave up on this lousy watch and went back to the same Seiko I've been using for 30 years.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I love the Citizen Eco-Drive It’s the second one I've owned. No batteries or winding, waterproof. Great watch and very accurate as well. Very stylish both as an everyday watch or evening watch.

Citizen Watches Company Information