3.27/5

395 Zales Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 27, 2019

I have had the best experience with Zales. From the customer service team helping me find something that both fit my budget and desires to going above and beyond to help quickly resolve an error I made in having another business resize my rings. The business I had went to did a horrible job and Zales helped me get my money back from that business and helped me find a business to repair my rings within 24 hours for my wedding the next day! I would definitely recommend going to Zales.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I have always had the best customer service at Zales in Yakima, WA. Some of my rings have needed repair or resizing and I occasionally purchase items there. The Zales in Yakima, WA. is a great store and has wonderful jewelry.

Get expert buying tips about Jewelry Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Very weary of purchasing from Zales because of the reviews I read here. I wanted to share that I went ahead anyway and had a great experience. Fast shipping before estimated time frame. Products came as ordered/described and I am thrilled with all of the pieces I’ve purchased as far as quality and craftsmanship.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I’ve read these horrible reviews after we purchased our bridal set. I was nervous and trying to keep track of my order. I had absolutely zero problems. It does say it takes 7-10 business days to ship them shipping so I expected it to take for what it felt like forever. I actually got it earlier than expected and didn’t have any problems getting in touch with customer service. I’m a happy customer.

Original review: May 26, 2019

My spouse purchased my wedding ring in 2017 along with the “LIFETIME REPAIR WARRANTY.” This evening I took my ring in to be sent away for repair and was told they no longer will honor the warranty and are unable to send it away! I had my ring repaired with them in the past with them with no issue with the warranty. Now, suddenly something we paid for is null and void!? Zales should be refunded customer's money back on the purchase amount of the “lifetime warranty” because apparently, it isn’t what they claim it to be! I will NEVER purchase anything from them again nor will I recommend Zales to anyone!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zales?

Original review: May 12, 2019

Ordered a ring for Mother's Day several days before the cut off date assuring delivery prior to Mother's Day. After a few days I did not see any shipping info on the order. I called the 1800 number and was assured that the ring was going to be shipped with a Saturday delivery. Mother's Day comes and no ring delivered. Called the 1800 number today and they now tell me May 21. Getting through on the 1800 number was an experience in itself. I would warn anybody away from Zales.com.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I purchased a customized mother's ring for my wife on their website 10 days before Mother's Day (their site's deadline for custom orders to be delivered before the day). 5 days later, my transaction is still pending, so I sent an email to their customer service to see if there's some sort of problem. I got a form email in response, stating that they'll respond in 3 to 5 business days.

The next day I call, and talk to a representative that says that my ring is definitely going to be delivered on time, and that the transaction status will change only when the ring ships. Seems reasonable, but if my pizza company can tell me if they're putting toppings on a pizza or if it's in the oven, I think a jeweler can do something similar, but whatever.

The following day, 2 days before Mother's Day (mind you they have my package on delivery with 2nd day air), and I send another message at about 5pm because the ring still hasn't shipped. By 8pm I received my first honest response: the ring is delayed, and may not show up for another 10 days. The reason? They'd had a problem with one of their suppliers. What was missing? Couldn't you have called or emailed to ask if I'd like a substitution? I can be flexible, and with all the customizable options available, I can't imagine I wouldn't have been able to work with them to find something that was available to arrive on time.

Sometimes the perfect gift is the one that just shows up when it's supposed to. My wife likes all 3 shades of gold, we both believe that if a simulated stone looks like a genuine one, it's a fine substitution so long as it's durable. I honestly could've worked with them, but they didn't give me a chance. So they offered me a 10% discount, and an apology. Communication would have been preferred.

Original review: May 8, 2019

My ring was supposed to be delivered today. My fiance answered the door and the UPS guy handed him an empty bubble wrap mailer envelope. He asked the UPS guy what was with the huge slash in the envelope side. No ring. He told him he didn't know so we told him we were refusing the package. So I called Zales and they said they have to do an investigation that can take 2 weeks. They refused to send me another ring or issue a refund. They said I can purchase a discounted loaner to use for the wedding and then return it. I was like, "Are you kidding me? Why would I do that." So they offered a discount on another ring that was available to be shipped in time for the wedding.

I hated them all. I told them I want the same ring I ordered. They said it won't arrive till after the wedding. I ordered it anyways. They couldn't even give me a discount since it was on sale already. Are you kidding me? They offered the discount and then took it back! So yeah I called UPS. They said they have To investigate as well and it will take 2-3 weeks. So basically I'm screwed even though it's between the seller and shipper! My wedding is 12 days from now. Zales said they would try to put the claim as critical since it was for my wedding but they couldn't do anything. They can't even expedite the new replacement ring I paid for. I contacted PayPal and they are holding the payment for the first ring but have to do an investigation as well. So sad that Zales doesn't care at all about how it impacts my wedding day! Never will I purchase from them again!

Original review: May 4, 2019

I had read about the bad customer service at Zales and got the luck to experience it today. My daughter bought me diamond studs for Christmas and when they were just sitting on the dresser the diamond fell out. Went to store for assistance and was treated like crap, they would not help me even though they have a supposed diamond guarantee. Cheap jewelry and bad customer service doesn’t mix well for me. I will never go back to Zales again. My daughter just bought me stuff for my birthday from Zales and I’m going to return everything.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I have had my ring for 10 years and have had no issues. Just over a year ago, I have it resized and refinished. Now the main diamond has fallen out and they refuse to cover it under the lifetime guarantee. They claim they have no record of ever inspecting the ring in their system, beside the recent work, therefore voiding the contract. So I have no choice but to pay for the repair myself. Which I will, then I will sell the Zales ring and NEVER purchase from them again. Lifetime Guarantee - should be Lifetime Scam. Stand by your workmanship Zales, funny how it went to ** AFTER your repair the first time.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I placed an order the 26th of February for a personalized ring. At checkout it states a 7-10 processing time. Fine. Today makes it 11 days later since ordering so my ring isn’t in the processing phase. My order however is still not giving me any shipping information. When I go back to review the order in my account it simply states “pending”. Zales does offer two day shipping however when I talked to the rep via chat she stated that my ring would arrive the 15th... That’s not two day shipping. I have no idea when my ring is coming. I hope soon the website will give me shipping info because I am just waiting for this info. Zales I just want my ring.

Original review: March 5, 2019

We looked for 2 months for the perfect engagement ring before finding my ring on the Zales website. I was told they only had 2 left in their entire inventory and it to be shipped store-to-store. When the ring finally came in, it needed to be sent out again to be sized up. On the invoice, the salesman included sizing and tighten loose stones. I waited 3 weeks for my ring to be "repaired."

I got my ring on Saturday and by Monday morning, THREE diamonds had fallen out!!! Of course I called both the local store and national customer service line to complain. My only option is to send it out again for another 3 weeks for them to tighten any loose stones once again and replace the THREE that have fallen out. It is ridiculous that a brand new ring that was sent in for sizing and tightening of lose stones would have THREE diamonds fall out after only wearing it 2 days. I am not a happy or satisfied customer right now. If I didn’t absolutely LOVE this ring, I would definitely return it and find one at another store.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I purchased a diamond ring for my wife at the Zales store in Aurora, Colorado in summer of 2017. I’m not an expert on diamonds, or jewelry in general; however I have a basic understanding of the price of the materials used to make jewelry, and the overhead inherent in the cost of bringing the product to market. The in-store selection at the location seemed to be quite wide, and the saleswoman was able to confidently describe the available items to my wife and help her find what she had in mind.

When my wife decided on a ring which she would enjoy wearing, we were told that we could offset some of the initial cost by opening a Zales credit account with a two-year interest free period. She helped us apply over the phone and even went as far as requesting a credit line increase, which was granted by the credit card’s issuer. The associate then helped us calculate out the requisite monthly payments so as to fall within the two year interest-free window, and stayed with us after the shop’s closing hours until we were ready to leave. She even called the mall security to walk with us to the parking lot after such a large purchase.

The process of setting up payments with Zales’ credit partner, Comenity Bank, left a lot to be desired. The website does not have the option to set up automatic payments, instead allowing for either a one-time payment or a payment within the upcoming thirty days. We found that if a scheduled payment is made immediately ensuing a one-time payment, one of the two will be dropped as the system will overwrite whichever was put in first. This, if left unchecked, will result in a missed payment which triggers a late fee and breaks the conditions for the interest-free credit.

Later it came to our attention that a very large penalty was imposed all at once, as we did not meet the EIGHTEEN MONTH deadline for paying off the installments. We looked through the fine print of the sales agreement and saw that there was indeed no two-year interest-free period as had been told to us by the store associate. The interest and fees caused by having initially calculated two years of payments had effectively increased the sales price of the ring by sixteen percent. There was nothing at that point which could be done, as the verbal agreements never materialized into writing.

If anyone reading this is considering buying jewelry, please take these factors into account before entering into an agreement with a seller- especially the combination of Zales and Comenity Bank. The sheer volume of negative reviews from multiple locations shows that my experience with them should be viewed as an expected outcome of interacting with Zales, as opposed to being a single isolated incident. Do your due diligence and research what you plan on purchasing, as well as whom you might be buying from.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Zales is possibly the most frustrating online payment website I’ve ever come across. I’ve been trying to pay my payment for an hour typing in all the correct information and apparently my account cannot be found. I try calling and that loop lead absolutely nowhere with no questions answered. If I could go back in time and never buy from there I would. If you plan to buy from there, do not.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

So my soon to be husband proposed to me on 11/21/18. He and I picked out the beautiful Forever Ring. Love the way it looks. A month later, the ring had already started to change color, then on February 6th, I noticed that one of the diamonds was super loose, it was moving around in its setting. I go to the store, and they can't find me or my fiance in the system. Luckily I had a picture of the receipt on my phone that my fiance had sent me before I got there. Otherwise, they would not have helped me at all.

Even though it was within 90 days of purchase, I still had to pay for it to be repaired because my fiance failed to buy a warranty (he didn't think it was necessary) lesson learned the hard way there on his part. And mine. I am mainly upset over the quality of the product and the customer service. I don't know, I just really have a bad taste in my mouth over the company in general. I ended up getting a warranty on my ring myself so that I don't have to pay out of pocket for their poor quality items. We will not ever purchase anything else from this company.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Well if you too are sitting at home wondering where your package is since it hasnt shipped, then you are not getting your stuff because after calling them for 4 days straight and speaking to 7 different representatives And not even one was able to realize that I picked USPS shipping and apparently you have to pick UPS to get it on Valentine's Day (keep in mind, it doesn't say this anywhere when ordering, and they had 4 damn days so they could've shipped it) so today Valentine's Day morning I wake up and call them to hear this wonderful news that I will be receiving my package in a month... What are you doing Zales? Have y'all lost your minds?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I ordered my Fiance two pairs of earrings on the Zales website which specified the "Order By" Date to receive it by Valentine's Day and the order hasn't even been shipped or processed as of February 13th. Long story short thanks to Zales horrible customer service and lack of information as well as false advertising my Fiance now has nothing I ordered her on Valentine's Day and I am out $600. Worst company I have ever ordered something from. 0/10 Doesn't do it justice.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

We misplaced our warranty information when we moved to our new home. Now the company will not honor the service warranty. Our purchase history is nowhere to be found after purchasing 4 rings and one set of earrings... Our lifetime warranty is gone.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Estimated finish day is today. The order status is still "shipped to jewerler". No answers when asked about how much longer it will be. When we purchased the ring we were assured it won't take more than a month. Because we are travelling and leaving the town soon in two weeks, we won't even be able to collect the jewelry worth of $700.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I hope your ring does not get stolen in the shipping process, they refused to do anything about it even though it's pretty obvious it was stolen in the shipping process. Someone cut my box open, stole the ring and resealed it and they wasted two months of my time only to tell me "sorry not sorry, we can't do anything."

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

We were waiting on the arrival of our wedding band. We already paid for it. Approximately two months went by with no call from Zales (Peru Mall, Peru, Illinois). We finally called them and Carol informed us the ring was discontinued. I asked why we were not contacted and informed of this and she did not have an answer. Rather, she told us that she would have Holly, the manager contact us upon her return from vacation on 2-1-2019. It is now 2-4-2019 and we have yet to hear anything from Zales. How awful is this? We had to call them to find out we were not getting our wedding band!!! Terrible, terrible customer service. Then, to not call us and try to fix the problem is even worse! I will NEVER recommend Zales, specifically, Peru Mall, Peru, Illinois, to anyone. You are awful and should be ashamed of your business with your customers!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Updated 03/20/2019: Update: March 18 I got another call from the Zales store I have been dealing with. Called to inform me they have moved repair date back another week. They are waiting for the diamond to come in. I've been waiting now for almost 3 months. New pick up date by end of next week, the end of March

Updated on 03/07/2019: UPDATE: It is now March 7... still no ring. February 13 passed with no phone call. Finally get one and one of the managers tells me the large middle stone in my ring has a crack. Mind you it is not one that can be seen by human eye I am told. But, they wanted me to know this and wanted to know if I still wanted my ring fixed. I said yes I want it fixed! Fast forward to Febuary 28. I get a phone call from the Zales store telling me my diamond has a chip in it asking me if I wanted it fixed. Again I told them yes and that I had told a manager that a week before. I was told no one called and told Zales repair that I said to go ahead and fix it.

I said I was told it had a faint crack in the ring. NO it's a chip from the big stone in the middle. For it to be fixed it has to be sent to corporate since it's a big stone and that could take a while as if 2 plus months is not long enough. I told them to replace the stone missing and send the ring back to Jackson store so I could look at it and decide what I wanted to do. The salesperson on the phone told me they would try to put a rush on it since they had had it so long... Will this ever end! I will NEVER EVER buy anything from Zales. At this point I have had it with Zales.

Original Review: My husband purchased a wedding ring set from Zales 5 years ago for our 25 Anniversary. We purchased insurance. Not long after the ring was ordered closer to one my size and I received it a diamond fell out had it repaired. About a year later another diamond fell out. We do not live anywhere close to Zales so by the time I took it in it had been over 6 months since it had been inspected so I was charged about double what they told me to have it repaired, $140.00. They kept it about a month then called and said it was in Went in to get it had to wait a long time. Then wouldn’t give it to me because their computer system that handled repairs was down. After an hour of them trying to get someone on the phone. I was told to come back tomorrow. Luckily I was staying the night in town since live nowhere near Zales! Went back next day and had to wait.

Finally I got my ring December 16. Ten days later another stone falls out. Take it back 2 days after it fell out. Waited forever to be helped again Told me they would send it to be repaired free of charge and they would tighten all stones. I pointed out I had paid $53.00 for them to just do that. THIs was December 29. Gave me the date of January 19 for estimated pick up but would try to put a rush on it. No rush... called the 19 told me it should get to store the 22. I told them I had no idea when I’d get there to pick it up. Called today February 2 to make sure it was there before I went to get it since I don’t live in Jackson. Couldn’t find my repair name phone number. Nothing put on hold.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

So on December 9, 10th, I went into Zales at the Dover mall location. After waiting for 15 mins someone finally came up to me and offered to show me engagement rings. After not seeing a ring I liked, I viewed more jewelry until I came across this beautiful 14k gold tennis bracelet. The ticket price said $1,200.00 but since there was a sale going on the associate told me they could accept 1,000.00. It’s been a little over 30 days since I purchased the bracelet for my wife and now it’s starting to discolor and turn silver/bronze. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do from here?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I first ordered my ring online. It didn't fit. So I called in and they told me I could get it resized or return and order right size. So I went to the store and found out I can not get it resized and that I had to return it. So I said ok I will return and order the same ring in a different size. She told me you can do that but you don't get the same discount because that sale is over. So I had to call the 1800 number and wait on hold to explain the situation.

After waiting 30 minutes and finally getting to talk to someone. They told me they couldn't do anything so I ask to speak to their supervisor. I then had to wait on hold for another 30 minutes. She finally agrees to help me out. So I order the ring in the store January 1st and was told it would be no later than January 11th. It is now January 11th and I have to call in again to find out where my ring is and they tell me it is still in processing. I ask to speak to a supervisor and they tell me it will be another 3-8 days and not to worry about it? Are you kidding me?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Zales shipped a $700 diamond ring that the post office says was left on the front porch and must of been stolen. Zales says they don't replace stolen orders. I asked why a signature wasn't required and I was told they don't require a signature for anything under $1,000. If they choose not to require a signature that should mean they bear the responsibility for it. They say it's USPS' fault not theirs. But I didn't pay USPS. I paid Zales, they choose USPS to handle the delivery. Very poor customer service and lots of rude people working for Zales.

If you have a similar problem please do file a complaint with BBB, post reviews on Facebook and other website, and dispute the charge with your credit card company. Your credit card company will require Zales to provide proof of delivery and leaving it on the front porch does not prove delivery, a signature is the only actual proof of delivery. You will win the chargeback claim with your credit card. It's a shame Zales makes it customers go to such lengths, they know many people dont know their credit card protects them from such poor business practices.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

So, I went into the store to get my ring resized 1/2 smaller. When we got there the lady who helped us couldn’t find his name in the system. After 30 minutes of trying we had to make a new account under his name. Then, after taking my ring SHE PUT IT ON HER HAND. She then began to tell us the ring will be back within 4-25 days. This didn’t seem right so I went back another day and asked when my ring will be back. 2 weeks. These people need to be consistent with their information and respect other's jewelry. Saying this, I had gotten the ring the day before... I was very upset I had to give it up for 4 days let alone have her place it on her finger and then be told it won’t be back for 2 weeks.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Updated on 01/04/2019: Recently wrote a review regarding a Zales product I order and tried to cancel while still in processing because I didn't want it shipped. Well guess what, they shipped it. Now if I want to return it I have to pay to return the product and THE CHAIN IS BROKE!!! So happy I only spent 40$ with this scam company. I literally just open the package while I'm still here at work.

Original Review: Whyyyy didn't I read the reviews before ordering. On the 26th, I ordered online an necklace 47.39, on the 30th I chatted asking why haven't my order been shipped when I selected 2 day shipping. I was told they have a 7-10 day processing before orders are shipped. No problem. I didn't read that during checking out, so I stated, "That's too long for a 40$ necklace". I wanted to cancel my order. They stated they will submit a cancelation ticket and that I'll receive an email. Never got a email. I check today the order still states processing, I started a online chat asking now why isn't my order canceled, now I'm being told the cancelation is in a queue due to the holiday season.

Something told me go check Zales reviews and I now see hundreds if not thousands of comments dealing with this same thing. I asked the person with the order still stating processing, "What happens if the order I'm telling you right now to cancel while it's still in processing is shipped". Their response is, "You will have to follow the return order procedure," meaning I will have to pay to have the order shipped back and then wait for their return department to okay the return, and then wait an certain amount of days to receive my money back. I'm so happy it's only 40$ I spent here and not hundreds or thousands. I Will NEVER buy anything from here again. I don't see how SIGNET Jewelers let the type of stuff go down. You own Kay Jewelers and Jared as well. Why are they ran way smoother.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

So I brought my soon to be wife a ring off this site. Mind you it was my first time shopping with Zales and not only did I not get the ring I order but I didn’t even get my money back. Idk what’s wrong with this company but I hope whoever reads this can learn from me. Ps not buying anything else in the future.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

On December 17 I bought a pair of Sterling Silver earrings for my girlfriend. I brought them home, put them under the tree, and on Christmas day she opened the package and tried them on. One of the earrings fell out of her ear within minutes of putting it on. She picked it up and up and looked to see what might be wrong. It was apparent that the clasp of the earring that fell off was out of alignment. We went to the store today to get the clasp fixed.

The salesperson that worked with us looked at the earring, recognized what was wrong with the clasp, informed us she didn't have another pair in stock, so she could not offer a swap for a working pair, but she could help us get the faulty one repaired. She asked for my receipt. I had to inform her that I had left it home (I live 80 miles north of the store), but that I bought it within the last several days, could she look up the receipt. She tried to no avail. Then my girlfriend asked her why the receipt was required. We both understand this is standard procedure, but we thought as long as she acknowledged that it was one of their products, we brought it back in the original Zales packaging, and we were just looking to get a clasp adjusted (how difficult can that be?), why couldn't they just fix the clasp?

We she told us why. She was checking to see if we purchased a warranty (which I didn't). She explained that without the warranty we would be charged for the repair. I explained that the earrings were just purchased and didn't operate properly from the moment they were removed from the box. She repeated that without a warranty there would be a charge for repair. How can a company fail to correct a product that was faulty at the time of sale? I couldn't exactly try them on when I bought them and ensure they operated correctly. I was steamed the entire one hour and twenty minute ride home. I will never use Zales again. I will encourage all my friends to avoid doing business in the Zales stores. If I could have given Zales a review value less than one star, I would have.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

What a total scam and run around. You will be totally disappointed and every time you look at the jewelry it will remind you of the horrible buying experience at Zales and Zales.com. The ring was purchased before Christmas and a different size is needed. They want to charge double to get any other size. I want to cry. I am so upset. Please do not support this awful company and there extremely aggressive and deceptive sales techniques.

Zales expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1924 in Wichita Falls, Texas, Zales is a jewelry company that sells its products in more than 750 stores across the United States and Puerto Rico. Customers can shop for jewelry from Zales at retail outlets and online.

• 60-day returns: Zales customers have up to 60 days to return any purchase without question.

• Design your own: The company has a Design Your Own program that lets customers custom create not only engagement rings, but other decorative jewelry pieces as well.

• Free shipping: People who shop on Zales.com receive free shipping when they spend they choose to ship their purchases to a Zales retail or retail outlet store.

• Credit options: The company offers credit plans with no annual fee to help customers pay for their jewelry and products.

• In-store services: Zales customers can take advantage of many in-store services, including lifetime cleaning and inspection.

• Best for: Couples getting engaged, customers looking to buy a luxury gift and people with broken jewelry.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs