1.26/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Find the right jewelry store for you
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Zales

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 18, 2017

271 Zales Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I have had nothing but bad experience with Zales. My fiancé bought me a ring enhancer for my engagement ring, within the first month of having it a diamond fell out while getting it cleaned at the store. Not only was I mad that a diamond went missing in the first month of having it, the lady who was cleaning my ring made it out to be like it was already missing come to find out the diamond to my ring was found on the bottom of the cleaning machine. Then when I finally got my ring back they tried charging me for the damages they caused to my ring. A month and a half after getting my ring back two more diamonds go missing. I've had my ring for a total of 3 and a half months and already have had 3 diamonds go missing. Not impressed with Zales one bit. I would never recommend this place to anyone. I wish I would of known how crappy this place was. Otherwise I would of went elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I paid the account in full back in July, and had verified the balance was 0.00. Now almost 5 months later I get an invoice for 20.00 in interest and 22.00 in fees. When I called in the first operator was rude and had no desire to assist. She transferred the call to a floor manager who listened and took the time to review the account and remove the fees. I will remain a client due to his actions alone.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I have been a customer with Zales for over 20 years; so needless to say I am a VIP member. But nevertheless my husband and me had gone into Zales here in Dallas at the mall in Frisco TX; three weeks ago to have three rings of mine repaired. Initially when we walked Into Zales it was crowded with lots of customers which we had no issues with waiting our turn. All the associates were busy helping other customers so we waited patiently not saying a word. The manager who I did not know was a manager at the time because I have been going to the store over nine years, she was just a regular customer service worker at Zales. I have worked with her before never did my husband or myself have any issues with Laura or something like that I just know her name started with an L and she is the manager now.

She got done helping a customer but remind you she looked dead at my husband and me and rolled her eyes. So while walking passed us she than purposely try to overlook my husband and myself; Here I am thinking I am just there to drop off my 3 rings to be repaired. We both wanted to get in and out. No it wasn't that simple. This Laura lady or whatever her name is put her head in the air walked right passed my husband and I and began helping a older ** couple that walked into the store way after we did. When the older gentlemen brought it to her attention she continued to ignore his statement that we were there before them and she said where we could hear her "they are being helped already now what can I do to help you." I was so mad at this point I could have made a scene but I didn't.

I continue with my dignified composure and started looking for the corporate branch phone number. Now to speed my story alone my husband said he was going to take the lead on this situation. He told me to stay calm. So the next week which was Monday he called to speak with a manager at the headquarters of Zales. He was told sorry over and over. They were going to send us a gift card worth 200 dollars. Remind you again over the 20 years we have done business with Zales we haven't had any real issues other than customer service issues. We have spend well over 100,000 with Zales if not more. We waited two weeks just for these people to send us 200.00 dollars off coupon but we have to buy something 1200.00$ or more. NO THANKS!

I then called the headquarters myself spoke with the customer representative on 10/06/17. Needless to say the entire situation was a joke. The customer representative call the store and put the manager on three way with me. She started acting as if she couldn't remember us, she started denying that we even came to the store, and then she denies I am the real person I say I am and now to top it off my rings are not there anymore. WHAT? I am going to sue them if my rings don't magically reappear. I am here But the end result of all this drama was I permanently terminated my credit card with them for good after 20 years. I will not and do not tolerate ignorance from any one of any race. We are done!!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Very poor customer service! Trying to charge me for work not done. Then work that was done not worth what they charged me? Never will I go there again, just scissored my Zales card!!! Do not waste your money!!!!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I bought 3 gift cards within 2 weeks for different occasions. I gave them as gifts with a nice amount on each. All 3 parties contacted me and said there wasn't any money on the cards!! I can't tell you how embarrassed I was. I am beyond frustrated. I had to call and call and call to get help. Nobody contacted me. I had to call to keep getting help. It has been the most frustrating few days I have ever had. I finally got my money on 2 of them, however I am still waiting for the 3rd card to have money. They were nothing but rude and insensitive. Never apologized for this. I will NEVER do business with Zales again!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zales?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I purchased jewelry and was given a "premier reward" toward my next purchase. "Buyer beware". They will not let you use this with anything that has been marked down. So if the item is 20% off you must pay full price on the item in order to use the "reward".

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I bought my granddaughter a sterling silver ring with a heart around a garnet and diamond chips. The ring broke and they wanted more than the ring cost to fix it. I didn't buy the warranty because I've worn jewelry all my life and have never had a ring fall apart. She would be told one thing from a sales person who was mostly nice only to have the lab call to tell her it couldn't be done. The ring could not be replaced because they don't make them blah blah... They were rude and we will never buy from Zales again. The ring was not cheap but they told my daughter that it was a different price. She lives in Colorado. Don't buy from Zales or you will get crappy quality and rude hateful people to give your money too.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

When my husband purchased a diamond wedding ring set a few years ago, we also purchased the warranty in case diamonds were lost or the ring needed to be repaired. I had to have the ring inspected every six months, which I have done, in order for the warranty to stay active. I went to our local mall to have it inspected and the store had closed down.

I contacted Zales online to see how to keep my warranty up and have my ring inspected. They told me that the only way to do that would be to travel to another state to have it inspected. If I needed to send it away for repair, I would need to return to that state when the ring was repaired to pick it up. They did not offer to return the money that I paid for the warranty or give me the option to send it via mail for inspection or repair. Customer service said that there was nothing they could do for me. I feel like this is theft. I would tell everyone not to purchase anything from Zales as they will not offer any assistance once their location closed and will take your warranty money.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I have been a faithful customer of Zales since 2012. Every diamond I've ever had is through Zales. My wedding set worth 5,000 and another ring worth 500. When you buy a ring from them they offer you insurance so you pay the extra money for the insurance coverage of your diamonds. Today I got a letter in the mail saying I will no longer have insurance coverage on my rings. I have done ever inspection because you have to get your ring inspected every 6 months. All of a sudden I don't have coverage that does even sound legal. AS far as I am concerned They owe me about 50 dollars for every ring I have. I'm sure I'll need it to fix it whenever my ring gets messed up. This is theft. My parents have bought rings from Zales as well and they got the same letter. Let's just say I'll never buy anything from them again.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

On 04/07/2017 I went into the Zales outlet store in Philadelphia Mills mall. I decided to purchase my husband a ring. We decided on the 1 karat Ever Us men's wedding band, we met the store manager Evalina at that time and she encouraged us strongly to buy the ring. I said "Fine" because my husband loved it and I had cash to buy it, Evalina suggested that I apply for a Zales card even though I repeatedly said I had enough cash. She insisted why pay so much at once if I could get the card so I did. She rang up the ring for the cost of 2,253.53. That was the ring and lifetime protection warranty.

After that she tries to give us a size 10 ring. We immediately said that my husband cannot fit that ring and she said take it home and she will special order the ring in a size 13 after sizing his finger, my husband and I agreed that we would not take such expensive ring home that he could not wear so Evalina said she would keep it there and put it in the manager’s safe and she would call me when the size 13 got there which would be 4-6 weeks, WELL 6-7-8 weeks passed! So I called and said if it was not there by the end of week 9 that I did not want it anymore! So that Thursday she called and said the ring had arrived!

I sent my husband to get his ring. He called me about 5-10 minutes after he got it and told me that the ring looked scratched and scuffed up and that the band was very thin and it didn't look like the original ring we choose, so I told him to come home and let me see the ring myself, when he got home on top of what he mentioned I noticed that the ring was also dented. It was NOT a perfect circle. I called the store immediately after I saw my husband’s ring and found that Evalina was gone for the day so I spoke with Joanna (assistant manager). I shared my thoughts that I believed the ring was stretched from the 10 to a 13 and that is how it got scratched and scuffed and dented and she said that she didn't know what happened but she would place a order and expedite it for a size 13 ring and that it would be there in 4 weeks.

I got a call in roughly 4 weeks and we picked up the new ring on 06/22/2017. On that day Joanna was supposed to return the old ring and give me a $200 courtesy for my troubles as agreed upon by Evalina and the district manager Phillip **, upon entering the store we noticed in the (Ever Us) showcase that the ring was on sale so we brought that to Joanna attention and mentioned to be sure to ring it at the sale price plus add our discount coupons back. She said that she did that and then she asked if I wanted the $200 courtesy in cash but looked in the drawer and said all she had was $189 in the drawer so would I like it back on the Zales card. I said, "Yes that's fine", meanwhile she pretended that she rang the new ring up as a new transaction and added discounts and plus put the $200 courtesy on my Zales card, that was a LIE!

She put the credit on the Zales card but she did not ring the new ring up at the on sale price. She left it at the original price and did the transaction as a exchange! After that not knowing her crafty behavior I made a $100 payment from my bank account then a $300 payment in the store and then a $48 payment from my bank account but with all of this my bill didn't seem to be correct! I contacted the number on the Zales card statement and explained that my balance seemed too high and I explained everything so the rep put in a dispute, I received a second statement and it was higher than the first statement??? How was this possible! The first rep told me not to make any payment until the dispute was resolved but then they charged me a $25 late fee! I called and set that straight then I headed to the Zales store to see if someone could show me in person why the amounts were not adding up!

At first Joanna was not there and the 2 store clerks could not figure it out although one of them did come close to what I was thinking the amount should be, my husband and I walked to Kay Jewelry and asked them if they could look at my paperwork and help me figure it out. I had been doing math for 4 days and my brain was tired and frustrated! We then went back through the mall to go back to the car and noticed that Joanna was now in the Zales store so we went back in, we sat down and I pulled out all of the paperwork including the bill statements. Joanna repeatedly tried to tell me everything was correct and I just got tired so I said I will just call corporate and see if they could help.

At that time Joanna said that basically the $200 credit wasn't showing as a positive because it was actually a way to bring the price of the ring down. I was SHOCKED. Clear deceit! She said it was just a misunderstanding on my part... It was not! It was deceit on her part for doing a exchange at the old price instead of a new transaction at the new sale price! At that point I was stressed OUT. I said I would just like to return the ring because I don't like not knowing EXACTLY what was happening with my money! She then stated that because the first transaction was from April 7th 2017 that I could not return the ring that I picked up on June 22 2017.

Now keep in mind the ring from April was stretched, scuffed, dented and scratched by the store manager Evalina trying to deceive us into thinking it was a special order from "Ever Us" so I said "We purchased this good ring on June 22nd 2017 so how is that all possible." That's when we found about the exchange deceit! We told Joanna that we never had these issues at Kay and that the customer service was always pleasant that we never have been so stressed out! And I just wanted to return the ring and NEVER DEAL WITH ZALES AGAIN! She said I could not.

I called corporate and she Joanna called her DM and stated that the only reason we wanted to return the ring is because we wanted to go buy one from Kay??? That was a HUGE lie! So I told the rep at corporate that Joanna was lying but we did praise the customer service at Kay. As I sat there on the phone with corporate 2 security officers come into the store and asked what the problem was because clearly my husband and I was sitting down with paperwork out and I was talking to the corporate office. Joanna goes on to tell the security officer that I was calling her a liar and I was!

The security asked me was I on the phone with the Zales store or corporation. I said yes and he said that I wasn't doing anything wrong, however as Joanna spoke to two male customers that came in I heard her make a statement in reference to my religion, “Those ** people in here calling me a liar,” at that point the security officer, my husband and I went to the side after I finished talking to Joseph ** at corporate that I had spent over 1 hr on the phone with and we told security the issue. He shook his head in disgrace and said he hoped we would enjoy the rest of our day, meanwhile although I purchased this ring of horror on June 22 2017 I was being told on August 2nd that I could not return it?

This has been the most horrific retail experience ever. The people at Zales could not care any less about the consumer. All they care about is the SALE and their store revenue and as Joanna said she would lose her job because mine would be her 3rd complaint in one week! Do not shop at Zales. THEY WILL DECEIVE YOU, ROB YOU, STRESS YOU OUT AND MAKE WHAT SHOULD BE A HAPPY THING INTO A PURE NIGHTMARE! Just stay away and purchase jewelry from a place that actually cares more about the customer! I'm currently still waiting on a call from someone above store level. All I have is 2 ticket numbers ** and I'm ** as well I believe... SMH!

Original review: July 20, 2017

My wedding ring is under warranty with Zales and I have kept up with the care of the ring. Making sure it's clean and the prongs are checked thoroughly. This is done twice a year (Jan & Aug). My next scheduled visit is Aug 2017. Well, today my prong broke off and the diamond was on the floor by my desk. I am furious mad, due to now having to take my ring in the store only to be told that they cannot fix a broken prong. So, they will tell me an outrageous price to fix the ring therefore, trying to get me to purchase a new ring. This is my second ring from them. We purchased this new ring 3 years ago and now the prong is broken, we paid $685 due to it being on sale from $1100. This store is in North Little Rock, Arkansas (McCain).

Original review: July 20, 2017

My children bought me engraved charms for each of my grandchildren this past Christmas. Each charm has a name and birth date engraved on it. The engraving on the charms is horrible and barely visible. I contacted customer service and complained. These charms are non-returnable because they are customized. I do not have the receipt as my daughter placed the order on her credit card. Zales should be ashamed of themselves for selling these.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I wish I had looked at this site before I bought my wedding band at Zales. Within one year one of purchase, one of the four prongs broke off. I reluctantly brought it back to the store to send it off for repair. Reluctantly because I was told it would take 3 weeks. Dropped it off on June 18th. Was due to be picked up on July 9th. It is now July 18th, and still no ring. I called corporate, and they have no answers and no real customer service and just refer me back to the store. The answer the store gives me is that this is a normal wait time. Even though I was told 3 weeks, it usually takes much longer than that. The store will not give me a phone number or address to the repair company. I feel like my ring was stolen from me. At this point, I have demanded my ring be returned to me, repaired or not, so that I can take it to a reputable jewelry/repair store.

Original review: July 18, 2017

An engagement ring and wedding band was purchased from Zales in Miramar Beach Florida. Immediately both rings began to look tarnished. Upon asking a salesperson, I was told that white gold HAS TO BE RE-DIPPED EVERY 6 MONTHS!!! This WAS NOT TOLD TO US UPON PURCHASE as if it had been, the rings would not have been purchased. They require the rings be brought in every six months for inspection. However, I always receive the most unhappy, unhelpful person if I even get waited on at all.

No one has the courtesy to even say "Hello, welcome to Zales." Instead, they ignore you and you end up walking out. Do not purchase anything from this company. All they want to do is sell you something you will be unhappy with!!! I will never go to another Zales and nobody I know will go there. Save your money and your peace of mind by going somewhere else!!!

Original review: July 12, 2017

Repeated Horrible Experiences: We sent my new engagement ring to be sized. The store doesn't tell you, nor is it documented in any paperwork that they give you, but it can take 4-8 weeks for any repairs. They are sent to their "home office." After repeated resizing, I could finally wear my ring. It was purchased in Sept; it was now Dec. A few months later a small diamond in the band had fallen out. I reluctantly went back to have it sent out once again. 6 weeks later it came back and I noticed immediately that a diamond in the halo had been replaced with what looked like a cloudy pebble. It was so bad that the store associate tested it to see if it was real. She said that "home office" couldn't keep up with their repairs, and we're subcontracting to other jewelers.

I decided to send it back yet again and asked if they could put a rush on the repair. I located the phone # of their home office, and when I called, was routed back to the general customer service dept. 8 weeks later my ring came back and this time, 12 small diamonds in the band (3 on each side x 2 - split band) had been replaced with cloudy pebble diamonds. I finally accepted defeat. I haven't gone back since. The $ that my fiance paid for the extended warranty was a waste.

Original review: June 17, 2017

My husband bought me a new wedding ring 6/1/2017 from the online store. We went to pick up the ring at the Zales store and it was shipped out as a size 4.5 when the order clearly stated size 7. They ladies at the store were very sympathetic. They could not do anything as it was a pre-owned ring. They said all that they could do was offer me the protection plan so $97. The protection plan pays for resizing. I have to wait 2 more week for the mm to size the ring and ship it back to me in CA. Not a very happy customer.

Original review: June 14, 2017

My husband bought my wedding ring from Zales which we upgraded in 2014. The diamond ring was 2 1/2 sizes too big, which they sent off for 3 weeks to have sized down, which at the time I had no idea in situations like this of downsizing by 2 sizes should be custom made not sized down because it misplaced the gemstones and thins the band. This is only part of my problem with this company. I didn't even realize until I got a call from them about a different ring my husband purchased in 2015 that is emeralds & diamonds, which also had to be downsized by 2 sizes. Again, I didn't know until another jewelry store informed me this shouldn't happen, but custom make the ring.

Fast forward to 2016. I lost an emerald and my band was slightly bent and since I purchased the warranty on both rings, I had it sent off. Took almost a month to get it back but everything seemed fine. 3 months later the ring is again slightly bent on the band, and again they send it off which took 3 weeks this go around. No problem. Yesterday, yet I had to take the ring in to have it sent off to fix a bent band. This morning I get a call from the same guy who I dealt with yesterday, stating that the band is thinning "normal" wear and tear and they don't cover that, so it's going to cost me $249 to add more gold to the band to correct the problem. My husband only paid $259 for the ring to begin with since it was on sale at the time and is regularly $400. Of course I said no I'm not paying that and it's only been 2 yrs of having the ring and shouldn't be thinning already.

Then I notice my wedding ring is also thinning! Both have been sent off in the past to fix bent bands. When I told the gentleman who called to inform me, they would be charging me the ridiculous amount to fix the thinning that shouldn't be happening in such a short time of owning the rings, that I'd be there today to pick up my ring and never again will I buy anything from them nor will I recommend them to anyone. I have a lab emerald ring my husband bought me from Walmart 9 yrs ago for $80, which they had a new one sent to them for my size at time of purchase that I have worn since the day I received it and NEVER has that cheap ring had the slightest dent or thinning in the band, unlike both the rings in the short time I've had them from Zales, on top of losing an emerald in one of them. STAY AWAY FROM ZALES.

Original review: June 13, 2017

Arrived at Zales outlet Cooper Street Arlington, Texas. I was returning a broken pearl necklace and the missing diamond from a diamond ring. The guy was looking at my account then he left, gave the account to the young manager who approached me and told me that I cancelled my warranty on my pearl necklace and I would have to go home to get my receipt for my diamond ring for the missing diamond. I have to have a signed receipt showing that I purchased a diamond ring there. I told the lady it was okay. I can go to another Zales store that I know the manager and they know me very well there and they're a lot nicer and kinder. I called customer service, spoke with the young lady there. She looked up my merchandise. She verified my receipts, my warranty and everything. She informed me that I didn't have to need that if I was doing a repair. I informed the young lady on the phone that's what the manager told me that I was not covered.

The young lady over the phone stated, "If you want me to call the store I will let them know." I said, "Please call the store and let the manager know" but every time I have gone into that store I've had a problem with that manager Zales outlet Cooper Street Arlington, Texas. She's very really very disrespectful towards me like I didn't have warranty on my jewelry and I didn't like that so I looked at the young lady and said, "You know what it's okay man. Don't worry about it. We'll get this handling another store." That store's close to my home. I had to drive 50 miles out of my way to have my jewelry service. Please do not go to Zales outlet on Cooper Street Arlington, Texas. The manager just looks at you like "oh you're not spending any money so what do you want in my store." I would not go there again.

Original review: June 10, 2017

I hesitate to write this review because I can't really find proof. My husband bought me a new wedding ring in 2000. My original ring from out 1982 wedding had to be cut off due to a baseball hitting my ring and to save the finger I had to cut off the bent ring. Well, we were financially much better off this many years later and my husband decided I needed a nicer, more expensive ring. We purchased a band that had a row of 5 diamonds. It originally was close to $8.000.00 but we paid about $4,000.00. Through the years I constantly got compliments on the "sparkle" of my diamonds, and even a jewelry told me once that they were a great quality.

I tried several time to take it to Zales and do a "check" and on the ring and they never could find our records. Unfortunately we had a fire at our business and the original receipt was lost. It really was hit and miss, sometimes they would take it anyway without the receipt to "tighten" the diamonds and clean it, other time no. Sadly in April 2017 I lost a diamond. I took it in and they would NOT honor the warranty without records, we went ahead and paid the over $500 to replace the diamond. Here is my problem. Although I can't prove it I think I was sent a different ring! This ring's diamonds look smaller, they are not as "sparkly". With my old ring I would frequently have to twist my ring in the proper position because my "big" diamonds would hit my other finger and turn it, that NEVER happens now because it is smaller! I think this is a smaller carat ring! What should I do?

Original review: June 3, 2017

My husband ordered a Mother's ring for me from you, Zales. After you got it wrong twice (placing Ryan's name by Logan's birthstone and visa versa), he called and got a nice old customer service lady and got yet another return label in case he wanted to send it back. He then wrote a less than nice email to the company and got this in return. "We sincerely apologize for the communication gap regarding the ring that you ordered. We have verified with the jeweler that the diagram on the website is correct. The third name is engraved on the second ribbon on the right hand side, next to the second stone; and the second name is engraved on the third ribbon on the left hand side, next to the third stone. We are not able to have the engraving placements changed from what is showing on the diagram. "

He just shot a reply to them. It reads as follows. "Well, maybe you need to add that placement order to the description of the ring so folks know to order it as backward to get it the way they want it. You will never receive another order from me. I'll be finding somewhere that takes responsibility for their mistakes and puts the customer first." Mind you, we sent it back once, and had to wait and REORDER it, and then wait again. This is ridiculous!! It might be hard to tell, but my sons' names should be James, Ryan and Logan to go with the stones!! NO they go James, Logan and Ryan. I was so disappointed.

Original review: May 18, 2017

I purchased a necklace from Zales in 2015. I also purchased the lifetime jewelry protection plan (LJPP) for this piece of jewelry. The protection plan states it covers chain and bracelet soldering, refinishing, polishing, and rhodium plating. After 2 years of wearing my necklace, the pendant's silver backing began to rub off from laying on my neck. I also accidentally had it ripped off my neck from a child, causing the chain to stretch and break off 2 inches from the pendant. I personally went to Zales on 4/30/17 (Westroads Mall, Omaha, NE) to turn in the necklace to have it repaired. I showed the gentleman behind the counter my proof of LJPP. He stated the chain might need replaced if they cannot repair it (which I actually stated that I assumed it was going to be replaced and was hoping it could be replaced to save the repairman's time).

I also asked if I could have rhodium plating since the back of the pendant looked bronze more than the original silver. The gentleman stated it wasn't a problem and added rhodium plating to the work order. He told me it would be repaired and back in the store by 5/21/17. I signed my name on the repair order and left. Today (5/17/17) I received a phone call from Zales that said my necklace was done and in the store. I got off work and drove to Zales to pick it up. I spoke with the same gentleman who put in the work order initially. It took a few minutes for him to find my necklace because they had the order placed in my first name and not my last (last name, first name). After he found my necklace, he pulled it out of the plastic bag and it was in a complete knot. The entire chain was in a huge ball. I was offput initially because I could see the chain still looked stretched. He spent about 10 minutes untangling the chain and was successful.

He brought me my necklace and said, "I don't know what they did here..." He held up my necklace and it was THE SAME CHAIN. Not only was it the same chain, but in an effort to connect the broken ends together, they soldered a noticeably larger link (the same link one would use to connect the necklace together, one that is supposed to be on the back of your neck) to the broken ends to connect them, 2 inches from the pendant worn in the front. It looked horrible. I stated my frustration about the 'repair' with the gentleman that it looked like the necklace was backwards because of the obvious link in the middle of the chain, and that it was still stretched. He agreed and said, "I understand, this looks bad, I don't know why they would ever send us this back like this." He handed me the plastic bag with the work order.

I dug around and pulled out a new chain. I held it up to the gentleman and suggested that this was probably the chain that was intended to be the replacement chain. He looked at the new chain and said he doesn't have the tools to solder the new chain to the pendant. He stated, "That's the purpose of us sending in the chain to be repaired, the repairman is supposed to do this". I became even MORE frustrated. He handed me my necklace. The pendant wasn't even touched. WHAT!? He showed me the work order he sent in on 4/30/17 that stated 'please replace chain' and 'rhodium plating'. The work order sent back had 'no work done' written in ink on the receipt. That's all. No work done? Why? The pendant was supposed to be retouched! It had not even been touched, let alone looked at or even cleaned. I stated, "Why couldn't they at least work on the pendant?", and the gentleman said he did not know since it was an easy fix.

I expressed my displeasure with the service I was provided by Zales. Why was my necklace sent to sit in a plastic bag for 3 weeks to just be left untouched? Why was a call not placed from the repairman to the store stating why they couldn't do anything? Why didn't the repairman put the new chain on? The gentleman made a new work order, placed it on fast shipping, and told me it should be back in 7 days. After I get my necklace back next week, I will never do business with Zales. I will never recommend Zales to anyone and will turn away people if they ask about my experience. This was lazy service. I could have saved my time (an hour total spent in Zales) and just went to a local jeweler and just scrapped my LJPP. This gives the statement 'you had one job' a fulfilling meaning.

Original review: May 16, 2017

I purchased a Diamond ring for my wife for 26000 dollars, give 5000 dollars down and was told no interest for 5 years. I paid 400 dollars every month for 15 months then I got a statement in the mail and Zales added 8800 dollars interest to my account. I called them up and they will not take off the interest so I am going to have over 40000 dollars stuck into a ring that is worth only about 26000 thaws. People at Zales are crooks. They have put me in a bad financial situation and they don't care. I hate them and I want my money back. I am looking for a lawyer since they lied From the start.

Original review: May 9, 2017

I walked into the Zales in the Ocean County Mall a month ago, April 2017, and was greeted by a very sweet blonde girl. I believe her name is Marge or Margo? Anyways, she was amazing with me, helped a lot! Then another woman came and got herself involved in our conversation, after being completely condescending to the young lady I was working with, she told me the ring I had did not look right on me and gave me an attitude the whole time! My pleasant experience quickly went awry. Who invited her into this conversation? No one if you ask me. I took her card so I could call and complain, her name is Kim. I have never been treated so poorly. She acted as though she was a manager but in related was a jewelry consultant. She was awful to her coworker, and worst of all to me and my wife. I was so angry. I left thinking wow there goes that experience!

So, my wife and I decided we would give it one more shot, we came in and requested the first young lady who helped us. I couldn't recall her name, but described her well, needless to say, they made no effort to figure out who I was speaking about and we wound up with the same unpleasant woman. There were three workers I could see that day, two older women and a young lady with dark hair. They all looked miserable! I was nice enough to give this Kim a chance, but that was a mistake. She insulted my wife, again, and I felt like I was mistreated very much. I wouldn't buy a thing from her, even if she reduced the price to nothing.

I wonder why Zales would have so many unhappy people in one store? And why that nasty woman would be taking customers and not fired by now? She was once again rude to her coworkers. I called and complained once more but I saw the other day she is still there. Listen Zales, if you want to succeed you need to get rid of that unhappy staff you have and promote the good ones! I won't be back thanks to Kim and her unpleasant ways!

Original review: May 8, 2017

I made the first purchase on 2/14/15. I had multiple diamonds fall out of this ring and after having it fixed three times they convinced me it was the style of the ring that was the issue. If that was the case I am not sure why you would sell a product like that in your store but it is what it is. After having to leave my wedding ring with you for a month at a time on three different occasions myself and my husband decided to upgrade to what we thought would be a better fit as far as better quality as we paid 4500.00 for the ring this time and it was a different style.

I lost a diamond in my upgraded ring about 8 mos after the upgrade. I then brought the ring in, had it fixed. Four weeks later I got my ring back, a month later I noticed another diamond was missing! Saturday April 29th I went into the Northtown Mall where we bought the rings and spoke with the manager that was there (it's never the same one as the turnover is frequent with all employees there). She explained that she was filling in from another store but she would work with her manager to get this resolved. At this point I explained to her that I did not trust Zales and I do not want to own a ring from there as I have had so many issues with the quality of your product. This is my wedding ring. Something that is very special and marks a special lifetime moment and to have that ruined with the issues I have had with the symbol that represents it is very disheartening and sad.

I feel like the fact that it has been almost a week and my husband has made multiple calls to the store as we have not gotten a call from the manager to let us know what will be done to rectify the situation. And not one of the calls has been returned and still no call from her! I am extremely disappointed in the quality of your product and the customer service that we have received! I need resolution in this matter. I am not able to wear my wedding ring as I do not want to cause any further damage and was told not to leave it there as the manager would be contacting us with a resolution... This has not happened and at this point I don't think it will happen.

I really hope someone with Zales will understand my frustration and contact me back with a resolution that is fair. Hopefully within the next couple days not months! I really want to be able to wear the symbol of my marriage and be proud of it not embarrassed of the quality! It extremely embarrassing to have people ask "where's your ring" and having to say I lost another diamond. Still nothing after contacting Zales Customer Service.

Original review: April 18, 2017

Where do I begin. A TAD over a year ago I bought an engagement ring for my fiance (now wife). I was told by the associate that the card would be interest free for 1 year then a very high interest rate would start. I quickly pay off that ring and buy a wedding band for my wife and myself. Besides a long long long story where the store messed up my band and had to reorder it 5 times, the associate who ordered me the ring apologized and offered me a 10% discount. The next day the store manager called me and said that they were sorry but the associate who gave me the discount had no authority to do that and that I wouldn't be getting any discount. I was pissed. However, my ring came back and everything was done. Now all I have to do is pay the bill and never look back at Zales.

Well, today the bill came in and I knew all I had was a little over $200 left. I was finally going to pay off this bill from this horrible company. To my surprise, I see an added amount of $365. Turns out, my offer wasn't interest free for a year. It was a deferred interest for a year. So, if you didn't pay it off you acquired all that interest. I was 2 weeks too late. Customer service, no help. Comenity Bank (the bank that Zales uses), no help. I am fuming! Do not shop Zales! They are deceptive and they are thieves. I have never hated a company more in my life. You better believe I am all over social media with this. Absolutely outraged! I have made a vow that I will tweet at least once a day for a month and make a status once a day for a month. If I change 1 person's mind about shopping at Zales then I did my job.

Original review: April 14, 2017

I ended up returning my fiancée's engagement ring after 3 tries and it being messed up all 3 times. They never even caught the mistakes (diamonds twisted, band warped, prongs holding diamonds all at different lengths, diamonds twisted again). Luckily my fiancée has a good eye for detail. Their solution? Send it back yet again. Finally when I brought it back and demanded a refund they offered to replace it... too little too late. Me and my fiancée were done. Go to another jewelry store and tell them the situation, they immediately state that Zales should never have tried to size down the ring 2 sizes, they should have had one custom made in her size. I was told by the Zales associate that sizing down 2 sizes was easy. Dealt with both the Zales outlet in Marysville, Wa and the Alderwood mall store in Lynnwood, Wa. Absolute disappointment, they will never get my business again.

Original review: April 14, 2017

Customer service horrible. My fiancé and I were treated like we were young and stupid, or maybe it was because we were a lesbian couple. Who Knows? The manager of the store was condescending and not helpful. The product of the ring my fiancé purchased was not at all up to par of what was sold to her. We went and got it appraised and the jewelers wouldn't even give us more than 400 dollars for the ring. When we brought the ring in for repair it came back more screwed up than it already was. Then they told us we couldn't fix it, then they said they could. They gave us a ring "in the meantime" while it was getting fixed that the diamonds were yellow, oh but if my ring couldn't be fixed we could keep that one instead. UMMM NO.

To me something sounds fishy. They said they "FIXED" the ring, and when we brought it to get it looked at by other jewelers, they looked at me and said "who sold you this ring". We said ZALES, and he said well that is why. The repairs looked like a toddler did them, there was a crack in the main diamond that wasn't there before, and the prongs on the ring were messed with. DON'T EVER BUY FROM THIS ZALES, OR ANY ZALES FOR THAT MATTER. THEY RIP YOU OFF! The rings are crappy quality, and the customer service goes right along with the crappy quality. Thank you Zales for ruining this special time in our lives. A customer never returning and who will continue to bash the company on BBB, social media, word of mouth, etc.

Original review: April 10, 2017

I got a diamond cross pendant from Zales on a credit account. Made my payments on time but somehow they was showing that they wasn't paid. Called them to fix the issue. Had all my receipts. Took them 4 months to fix the issue after I made my payments on time. Zales credit system sucks.

Original review: March 25, 2017

My husband wanted to buy me a ring. He liked the open heart ones. We bought the insurance and 6 months later I had a rough corner on the ring. We took it back and they said pickup will be 3/25. Needless to say I've had a gut feeling it won't be there. I have been calling this week checking. Well today it's not there. They said it's being processed. I am calling back at 2 to speak to manager. We are thinking of getting our money back. Almost 3 weeks and it's not back in store? I do not trust jewelers in the mall. This is Zales in the mall in Bakersfield CA.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

Be aware when you purchase financing. Zales does not have a tool that lets you make a recurring payment, so you have to pay each month online. I believe it will be very convenient for them if you forget as they will charge you the full interest for your purchase.

Zales expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1924 in Wichita Falls, Texas, Zales is a jewelry company that sells its products in more than 750 stores across the United States and Puerto Rico. Customers can shop for jewelry from Zales at retail outlets and online.

• 60-day returns: Zales customers have up to 60 days to return any purchase without question.
    • Design your own: The company has a Design Your Own program that lets customers custom create not only engagement rings, but other decorative jewelry pieces as well.
    • Free shipping: People who shop on Zales.com receive free shipping when they spend they choose to ship their purchases to a Zales retail or retail outlet store.
    • Credit options: The company offers credit plans with no annual fee to help customers pay for their jewelry and products.
    • In-store services: Zales customers can take advantage of many in-store services, including lifetime cleaning and inspection.
    • Best for: Couples getting engaged, customers looking to buy a luxury gift and people with broken jewelry.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs