1.04/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

372 Zales Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I first ordered my ring online. It didn't fit. So I called in and they told me I could get it resized or return and order right size. So I went to the store and found out I can not get it resized and that I had to return it. So I said ok I will return and order the same ring in a different size. She told me you can do that but you don't get the same discount because that sale is over. So I had to call the 1800 number and wait on hold to explain the situation.

After waiting 30 minutes and finally getting to talk to someone. They told me they couldn't do anything so I ask to speak to their supervisor. I then had to wait on hold for another 30 minutes. She finally agrees to help me out. So I order the ring in the store January 1st and was told it would be no later than January 11th. It is now January 11th and I have to call in again to find out where my ring is and they tell me it is still in processing. I ask to speak to a supervisor and they tell me it will be another 3-8 days and not to worry about it? Are you kidding me?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Zales shipped a $700 diamond ring that the post office says was left on the front porch and must of been stolen. Zales says they don't replace stolen orders. I asked why a signature wasn't required and I was told they don't require a signature for anything under $1,000. If they choose not to require a signature that should mean they bear the responsibility for it. They say it's USPS' fault not theirs. But I didn't pay USPS. I paid Zales, they choose USPS to handle the delivery. Very poor customer service and lots of rude people working for Zales.

If you have a similar problem please do file a complaint with BBB, post reviews on Facebook and other website, and dispute the charge with your credit card company. Your credit card company will require Zales to provide proof of delivery and leaving it on the front porch does not prove delivery, a signature is the only actual proof of delivery. You will win the chargeback claim with your credit card. It's a shame Zales makes it customers go to such lengths, they know many people dont know their credit card protects them from such poor business practices.

Get expert buying tips about Jewelry Stores delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

So, I went into the store to get my ring resized 1/2 smaller. When we got there the lady who helped us couldn’t find his name in the system. After 30 minutes of trying we had to make a new account under his name. Then, after taking my ring SHE PUT IT ON HER HAND. She then began to tell us the ring will be back within 4-25 days. This didn’t seem right so I went back another day and asked when my ring will be back. 2 weeks. These people need to be consistent with their information and respect other's jewelry. Saying this, I had gotten the ring the day before... I was very upset I had to give it up for 4 days let alone have her place it on her finger and then be told it won’t be back for 2 weeks.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Updated on 01/04/2019: Recently wrote a review regarding a Zales product I order and tried to cancel while still in processing because I didn't want it shipped. Well guess what, they shipped it. Now if I want to return it I have to pay to return the product and THE CHAIN IS BROKE!!! So happy I only spent 40$ with this scam company. I literally just open the package while I'm still here at work.

Original Review: Whyyyy didn't I read the reviews before ordering. On the 26th, I ordered online an necklace 47.39, on the 30th I chatted asking why haven't my order been shipped when I selected 2 day shipping. I was told they have a 7-10 day processing before orders are shipped. No problem. I didn't read that during checking out, so I stated, "That's too long for a 40$ necklace". I wanted to cancel my order. They stated they will submit a cancelation ticket and that I'll receive an email. Never got a email. I check today the order still states processing, I started a online chat asking now why isn't my order canceled, now I'm being told the cancelation is in a queue due to the holiday season.

Something told me go check Zales reviews and I now see hundreds if not thousands of comments dealing with this same thing. I asked the person with the order still stating processing, "What happens if the order I'm telling you right now to cancel while it's still in processing is shipped". Their response is, "You will have to follow the return order procedure," meaning I will have to pay to have the order shipped back and then wait for their return department to okay the return, and then wait an certain amount of days to receive my money back. I'm so happy it's only 40$ I spent here and not hundreds or thousands. I Will NEVER buy anything from here again. I don't see how SIGNET Jewelers let the type of stuff go down. You own Kay Jewelers and Jared as well. Why are they ran way smoother.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

So I brought my soon to be wife a ring off this site. Mind you it was my first time shopping with Zales and not only did I not get the ring I order but I didn’t even get my money back. Idk what’s wrong with this company but I hope whoever reads this can learn from me. Ps not buying anything else in the future.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zales?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

On December 17 I bought a pair of Sterling Silver earrings for my girlfriend. I brought them home, put them under the tree, and on Christmas day she opened the package and tried them on. One of the earrings fell out of her ear within minutes of putting it on. She picked it up and up and looked to see what might be wrong. It was apparent that the clasp of the earring that fell off was out of alignment. We went to the store today to get the clasp fixed.

The salesperson that worked with us looked at the earring, recognized what was wrong with the clasp, informed us she didn't have another pair in stock, so she could not offer a swap for a working pair, but she could help us get the faulty one repaired. She asked for my receipt. I had to inform her that I had left it home (I live 80 miles north of the store), but that I bought it within the last several days, could she look up the receipt. She tried to no avail. Then my girlfriend asked her why the receipt was required. We both understand this is standard procedure, but we thought as long as she acknowledged that it was one of their products, we brought it back in the original Zales packaging, and we were just looking to get a clasp adjusted (how difficult can that be?), why couldn't they just fix the clasp?

We she told us why. She was checking to see if we purchased a warranty (which I didn't). She explained that without the warranty we would be charged for the repair. I explained that the earrings were just purchased and didn't operate properly from the moment they were removed from the box. She repeated that without a warranty there would be a charge for repair. How can a company fail to correct a product that was faulty at the time of sale? I couldn't exactly try them on when I bought them and ensure they operated correctly. I was steamed the entire one hour and twenty minute ride home. I will never use Zales again. I will encourage all my friends to avoid doing business in the Zales stores. If I could have given Zales a review value less than one star, I would have.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

What a total scam and run around. You will be totally disappointed and every time you look at the jewelry it will remind you of the horrible buying experience at Zales and Zales.com. The ring was purchased before Christmas and a different size is needed. They want to charge double to get any other size. I want to cry. I am so upset. Please do not support this awful company and there extremely aggressive and deceptive sales techniques.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Zales offered a Topaz pendant for $20. I ordered this pendant on the very first day it became available on December 6, 2018. When it didn't arrive I contacted the company, they assured me it would arrive by Christmas. Today, December 28 they informed me by e-mail that the pendant is not available and they're canceling my order. The pendant is however, still available for $80.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Horrible and incompetent clerk at the store, overcharge me, called Zales, just to get worse. They try to refund me, instead, they charged me again 'cause had no clue what they were doing. Stay away of this idiots.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Had a diamond fall off THREE times and their customer service was horrible, manager was rude and their customer service number was managers said they would call back and didn’t. It was a horrible experience!

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I ordered an engagement ring last week. The ring was perfect. I'm not exactly what you would consider wealthy. So I saved for about 3 months to get enough to buy the ring that I wanted. It was the perfect fit. Everything was going great. I was going to seal the deal Xmas morning while we opened presents. I was going to surprise her. I was on track to have the best Xmas of my 35 years of life.

The order went through online. 2-day shopping. I couldn't have it delivered home or it would ruin the surprise. I live in Anaheim and it had to be shipped to Lakewood Mall which was 40 mins away. It arrived on time. I went today to the Zales store and told the associate I was there for an online pickup. I waited for about 10 mins. As I looked at all the jewelry while waiting I just had the best feeling ever. I was so happy that the ring I chose was ready to go and that tomorrow was going to be a milestone in my life...

It was the wrong ring. The associate apologized over and over and told me there was nothing they could do at the store and that I would have to take it with me then contact customer service to resolve the situation. I was speechless. I couldn't even say anything without my eyes getting watery. This ** was pissing me off. I am so lost right now. I can't even sleep tonight. I'm undecided if I should still go through with the proposal tomorrow with the wrong ring. Then just explain the situation. She is very understanding. But this is some real B.S. because a moment like this should be perfect. Now I got to wait until Xmas is over to contact Zales customer service. DEVASTATED.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Ordered an item to have it shipped to the store and no one called or emailed me to let me know it arrived. Then I tried to call the store and no one answers, sooo customer service tells me I should either just drive 45 minutes to the store and hopefully it's still open or call a store close to it and ask them if the Zales store is open still and see if they know what time the store closes, REALLY!!!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I ordered a ring for my daughter as a Xmas gift. I placed the order on the morning of the 13th under the impression per their advertisement, it would arrive by XMas. It stated the following: Order by Friday, December 14, 2018 for Christmas delivery. This delivery date overrides regular processing times noted below. They even changed this date to the 19th as the last day!!! I called several times through the week, was told yes it would get here... NO PRESENT DELIVERED!! I’m infuriated, and will never purchase from Zales again!!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Welp my Christmas will be going down the drain this year. I purchased three chains that the consumer said would be shipped in time for Christmas. That’s was a lie. I don’t understand why is it so easy for the consumer to grab the Money from your account/give you an hour for a refund and then when you ask for a refund due to later finding out that it’s actually not going to be here on time your refund gets rejected by the vendor. That is ridiculous. I am highly pissed. I want my money back for all three orders!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Good Evening, I am a long time customer of Zales. I have been going to Zales in Menlo Park, NJ in the mall. I wanted to purchase a new wedding band for my husband for Christmas. I went to the store early November with our daughter to choose his ring. My daughter choose the ring she wanted and I purchase it right away and wanted it Engraved with her name and DOB inside. Everything went smoothly for that transaction. I was called in a few weeks later that the ring has arrived and once I went the ring was not noticeable to view the engraving. My original sales rep Danielle who was amazing the entire time send the ring back to get the engraving fix. Another week I was called in and arrive again the engraving was bad. Danielle was out sick during this time. So the other sales rep and the assistant manager help reorder a new ring online for the THIRD time to get it engraved by the manufacture.

Finally I was praying THIRD time is a charm I get the called again to come get the ring. I go to the store and no engraving on the ring. Now I am trying to hold my composure and be patient about the situation going back and forth to the store. Danielle called a Zales rep by the name of Lauren who supposedly doing a new rush order to get the ring fix over the phone and reissue a gift card to get it straighten out. This was December 18th, 2018. Now today is December 20th as I arrived home I have a package waiting. Open the box up a new fresh ring with no ENGRAVING. THE FOURTH RING AND ISSUE STILL WASN'T FIX. ALL I WANTED WAS A NOTICEABLE ENGRAVING SOMETHING I PAID FOR.

Now I am livid. I call the store and spoke to "LIZ" the STORE MANAGER. I never met her once during this whole situation at all. Never came to greet meet and tell me we will get this fixed nothing. Her sales rep did everything which I appreciate but, as a store manager now it has been a few times same error you should step in. She got nerve to tell me there is nothing she can do about it and I WENT OFF. I said, “You know about the situation but, you can't fix it knowing I have paid for it and you sit here telling me you are sorry. I do not want to hear you are sorry. I need an engraved ring for Christmas that I ** pay for.” She had no empathy. Told me we been on the phone for 30 mins and we were on the phone for 5 mins and 39 seconds. Felt like she didn't care knowing this ring has a lot of meaning behind it and was brushing me off and tell me if I curse she will hang up.

YES I AM CURSING AT THIS POINT BECAUSE IT KEEPS GETTING MESS UP AND I PAID IN FULL FOR IT. They got their money worth and I got the ** end of the stick. I will no longer do business with Zales for that "Liz" store manager lack of empathy customer service. Telling me she’s been around the whole time. Tells me she call her district manager and told me to call the customer service number over the phone. Anyone looking to buys anything go to a different company especially for engraving because they don't give a **.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I submitted a purchase online for a birthstone necklace for my wife for Xmas, didn't see online when my order was going to arrive so I immediately canceled the order. Now Zales is holding $178.19 of my money and refuse to release it. I've been told that my bank is the ones who is holding the funds but that is incorrect, by LAW banks cannot hold "Debit Card" transactions. The merchants are the ones who hold the money to protect themselves from product lost without a payment... Me or my family will never look at Zales for any future purchases of jewelry, very bad phone reps and customer service... No one attempted to resolve my money being held. They just stayed on blaming my bank instead of trying to take action by checking to see if the hold is still on the funds etc...

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I ordered a necklace on December 6th. I opted out of shipping to my house and shipped to my local store. Mainly because it ships faster and it is free. Well that is the way most companies work anyway. First I had to wait 7 days for processing. That was fine but on the 7th day I noticed the status had changed to shipped. With no tracking number being received, I decided to call them. I was told it is going to ship on the 20th. That leaves 4 days to get it to the store and for me to pick it up. Given their track record I highly doubt it will be ready for pick up by Christmas Eve. It is a Christmas present for my niece. Now instead of being able to give it to her on Christmas I will just have to show her the shipping status! All the while knowing they probably have the exact same necklace sitting on their shelves. Don't waste your hard earned money on these crooks!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

So I bought a ring and I paid for 2-day air. After about a week I still had no ring and absolutely no kind of tracking or even shipment confirmation. I contacted customer service to be told it can take almost 2 weeks before they even ship items. I had no gift for my best friend's birthday. This has been my worst online buying experience. I am very disappointed.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

When you go to a Zales store and they ask you to open a charge, PLEASE DO NOT OPEN IT BECAUSE THEY ARE FRAUD. What they say at the store is totally different for what you sign up for. Please stay away if you want your peace of mind. I will never step foot in that company ever again.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Bought a lifetime warranty for a watch a couple years ago. Took it in to get the battery changed under the warranty. I was told the warranty was only for 2 years and that mine has expired. Even though I have a form that said lifetime warranty they said they printed it on the wrong form. They refused to honor it or give me my warranty money back. I have been buying from them for almost 10 years. This was the last straw with them so I am looking for a new jewelry store.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

My teen son purchased a ring for $188. They charged him $210 for authorization fee and another $190 for the purchase. In total he paid $330 for $188 ring. They only returned $70 of his money. In order to get his money back we have to jump through hoops. We have to fax them a copy of the bank statement for their review. He is now negative $57 in his account. They said that they won't pay any overdraft charges. We would have to discuss that when it does happen. I think Zales is scamming people for more money by charging more than an item is worth. I don't understand this extra authorization fee when the ring was already paid for. And why do we have to jump through hoops to get our money back. This is ridiculous. I don't think anyone should shop at Zales. They want to take extra money from you and hope that you forget about it. It's a scam!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I purchased a necklace for my wife online. When I got to the part of delivery and shipping I selected the fastest shipping so I can get it in time for Christmas. The delivery date was for Tuesday December 11th. The necklace never came so I called customer service and they told me I would have to wait another 2 weeks and so I told them to just cancel the order and then I was told I would have to wait 3 days to get my refund. Please save your money. Don't even bother with Zales. I was completely lied to. Merry Christmas. Smh.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I found a ladies wedding/engagement ring in Destin FL. Took it to Ben Bridge to see if the diamond had been lasered engraved which it was. I found out all information about the ring including that it was bought at Zales. After calling several Zales stores and headquarters I was told that they didn't keep information on their diamonds (really). I have spoke with many people at Zales and was given so much bologna that it is just really unbelievable what people can come up with to get you off the phone. Today my family and I went to the Parks Mall in Arlington TX. Thought I would give it another try.

As I tried to explain to the sales girl what was going on with the ring she told me with rude and hate that Zales didn't keep records on diamonds. That it was the buyers responsibility to keep up with the paper work. I will be calling the store and telling the manager what kind of service I received. After 4 years of speaking with Zales off and on I still get the same old bull. I have never bought jewelry from Zales and with the kind of service I have came across I never will. I may be wrong but what I have read about Zales the only thing they care about is your money and as I say no one cares.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I purchased earrings online which were very tiny when received vs photos so returned them to the Springfield VA mall store. The receipt received with the online order indicated items can be returned at any Zales store. I purchased another pair in the store but my wife didn’t like them so I returned to same store. The sales person was extremely unprofessional and rude and acted very annoyed that I was returning the earrings. He even had the gall to make a comment as I was leaving to his coworker that they are to no longer accept any exchanges or returns from online orders. We will never shop at Zales again based on this experience. This salesperson should not be in sales or customer service and needs to find a different line of work because he clearly lacks any basic common decency and does not treat people and customers with respect.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I will never shop here again, online or in store. I have had 2 issues now with their employees. One was reconciled after a week of going back and forth and pretty much being called a liar. They apologized and corrected it but that does not excuse the rudeness. I gave them another chance. The second issue has me furious! My mom has been fighting breast and kidney cancer all year. Her birthday is Dec. 10th and I wanted to get her something nice. I ordered a necklace on November 29th and did the 2 day shipping. When I checked the status of the order on December 5th it still said pending as if my order hadn't even been processed.

I called immediately to cancel it and was going to buy something else that I was sure was going to make it on time. They were very rude and kept transferring me. Then finally said they would have a manager call me back after I was on the phone for 45 mins. I got a callback today, 2 days later and not from a manager, stating that they couldn't cancel the order because it shipped out today. They purposely waited to call me back until after it shipped... Now I have to wait for the item to get here and take it to a store to return it.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I called to inquire about my order. A person named Michelle answer the phone laughing and chewing food. What a behavior... I gave her the order number and the represented the issue. Then she hung up the phone and transfer me from the beginning on hold to someone else. The worst customer service ever. Where do they get this people from to represent their business. No wonder Zales have such a low ratings. I will never order from them again.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Never purchase anything from this store. First they will not never call you, second you cannot call them because they do not answer their phone. ABSOLUTELY NEVER ask for a repair. They do not do anything you ask for and turn your piece into the ugliest thing you have ever seen and do NOT DO WHAT YOU ASK FOR. The reason, they want to keep your gold, your diamonds, your special piece for their resale YOUR JEWELRY RESALE VALUE. They do not want to repair your jewelry, they want your jewelry. ** Call me before sending your jewelry for repair at Zales.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

My husband purchased a wedding ring in Feb 2017 online and I was so excited. Within 5 months a diamond had fallen out so I brought into the store in my area (Beaumont, TX) and the associate could not locate my information even with the receipt from the online purchase. I had to give her all the information and basically beg for them to have it repaired. Fast forward not even 10 months later and another diamond has fallen out. Each time I had an inspection it seemed to be done half assed and now there is no record of my inspections. No information was located in their system yet again. My husband was told it would cost $150.00 to replace the diamond after the lady was extremely rude and did not even care. Absolutely outraged to pay 1500.00 for a ring and now I will have to continually pay to have a diamond replaced. Given the track record I will probably be paying more than the original price. DO NOT BUY FROM ZALES.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

Very disappointed in Zales jewelry repairs. They don't really care. I have 12 pcs. From Zales I have had to have work on my rings several times always to get them back in poor quality work. My diamond fell out 2 times and sent in both times and comes back with stone different shape, different clarity than was there. Then the prong work I had done was poor to say the least. The prongs are different shaped, different heights. Just awful. Then I sent in to have fixed and get sizing done. Still prongs are not fixed correctly and they didn't do the sizing at all. They had it 3 weeks and I just took it.

The time before that is when they screwed it up in the first place. They had it for 7 weeks. They have under qualified jewelers that do shotty work and ruin great pieces of jewelry. I'm gonna just spend the money and take my rings to Jared and have the sizing done. At least there they seem to know what they are doing. Zales has great diamonds and decent pricing but if you have any problems with your jewelry find a qualified jeweler to do the work. Don't go through Zales. They are awful. And the salespeople are less than knowledgeable. I don't want to have Zales do any work on my jewelry ever again.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I had purchased a pendant necklace and a ring from Zales about 7 months ago- a total of about $350 worth of jewelry. The pendant came on a silver chain, which broke twice in a period of a month. I was told upon return to the store that the pendant was designed for “special occasions” and not everyday wear. Seriously? A $150 necklace is clearly intended for everyday wear. It's a heart pendant with a lab created sapphire in the middle. I purchased a new and different chain for about $35 dollars, only to discover a week later that it is now missing a gem. I have barely even worn it! Now onto the ring, it was silver with a rose gold rhodium. The rhodium rubbed off completely in about 3 weeks. Takes 2 weeks to get it redone. Every. Single. Time. Zales is complete and utter trash. They take NO pride or responsibility in the quality of their products. Avoid this business at all cost.

Zales expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1924 in Wichita Falls, Texas, Zales is a jewelry company that sells its products in more than 750 stores across the United States and Puerto Rico. Customers can shop for jewelry from Zales at retail outlets and online.

• 60-day returns: Zales customers have up to 60 days to return any purchase without question.

• Design your own: The company has a Design Your Own program that lets customers custom create not only engagement rings, but other decorative jewelry pieces as well.

• Free shipping: People who shop on Zales.com receive free shipping when they spend they choose to ship their purchases to a Zales retail or retail outlet store.

• Credit options: The company offers credit plans with no annual fee to help customers pay for their jewelry and products.

• In-store services: Zales customers can take advantage of many in-store services, including lifetime cleaning and inspection.

• Best for: Couples getting engaged, customers looking to buy a luxury gift and people with broken jewelry.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs