3.9/5 (479 ratings)

About Zales

Zales Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zales?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zales?

Original review: Nov. 26, 2022

We took my wife’s diamond wedding ring in to have it polished, sized and then appraised. When they asked what we thought the value was I told them probably between $12,000 and $14,000. My wife said a jeweler told her 30 years ago it would be worth over $3,000. They wrote down over $3,000. When the ring came back, it had been polished but not sized so they sent it back in to have it sized. That’s when the nightmare started.

The manager of Zales called and said her diamond ring was lost and would only give us $3,000. I personally think they stole it knowing it was worth far more than $3,000. Later they offered 1.5 carat diamond but it was an I quality diamond and had a lot of inclusions to the naked eye only after I got an attorney. Now, once we have retained an attorney, they don’t want to do anything. I am now going to have to take Signet or Zales to court which will probably take a year to settle and cost about $10,000. It’s the principle so we can only hope the court will have Zales pay for our attorney fees. We shouldn’t have had to get an attorney to start with. They should have taken care of it to our satisfaction.

You can’t trust Zales with anything of value. I have read where several people have had the same problem. Signet owns Zales, Kay Jewelers, Jared, Banter by Piercing Pagoda, Diamonds Direct, Blue Nile, JamesAllen.com, Rocksbox, Peoples Jewelers, H.Samuel and Ernest Jones. You would think they would be able to take care of my wife’s 52 year old diamond wedding ring which has caused her a lot of grief.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2022

I made an online purchase of a diamond necklace for my granddaughter, for her birthday. A pair of earrings were sent instead. The earrings were someone else's order. I spoke to customer service, and they informed me I had to wait 7-14 days for them to try and locate the necklace and if they could not locate it, then they would give me a credit. After thinking about it, I decided that was not acceptable. So, I called back and was told if the earrings were returned to a Zales store I would receive a credit. I called the store to confirm that this would happen and was told yes.

The earrings were returned, but they credited the people who bought the earrings. Not me. I called again and was told someone would call within 24 hours. This did not happen. I called the store and the manager, who was very nice, said someone would call during the week. That did not happen. Each time I ask to speak to a supervisor, or manager I get disconnected. I called again today and was told someone would call within 24-48 hours. I doubt that will happen. The bottom line is, they have my money and I have nothing. It seems they should either provide the product I ordered or give me a credit.

Get buying tips about Jewelry Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

First, my husband bought me a enchanted Disney sapphire and black diamond ring from Zales, the sapphire fell out after 3 days of wearing it. Luckily I found the stone. They charged me to reset it. After wearing it 2 days...again the sapphire fell out...again, I found the stone...charged me to reset again. At this point I'm terrified to even wear the ring. #2. My husband bought me my dream ring..The enchanted Disney black diamond evil queen engagement ring...quite a ring!! After a few months the black diamond fell out and I could not find it. I brought to Zales and they told me I have the protection plan and they would replace the stone. A month later I was called to come pick up the ring.

The diamond definitely seemed to look smaller than the one we paid for. I brought this to the woman's attention and she insisted it was the same size as the last...so I took it down to a different zales (Deer Park Tanger Outlets NY) and compared to the ring in the case...lo and behold, they did give me a smaller diamond!! The woman there agreed I was ripped off and said she would take care of it. She proceed to argue with me about EVERYTHING and charged me 280 dollars because she said it was my fault because I accepted the ring when I picked it up. Very sarcastic and argumentative woman!

My ring required a ring guard which I was given for free the first 2 times...she told me it would be 20 dollars to put on my new ring...20 dollars for a crappy piece of metal on a ring we paid almost 3,000 dollars for. I asked for the ring guard on my old ring back. She ripped it off, mangled it and threw it on the counter in front of me...didn't even offer to put it on for me. Very rude, nasty, woman, don't know her name but she said she is in charge there and had an accent! Not nice!!!

Original review: July 30, 2022

I purchased a rose gold and diamond ring here in November '21. By March, 2 diamonds had already fallen out. I called the store and was told that a manager would be calling me back. To be very honest I wasn't able to wear the ring so I had forgotten about it. I called again yesterday and was told that there was nothing they could do and the repair would be over 600.00. I said the ring was only 543.26. She said repairs were very expensive. They charge 76.00 for each retip of the prongs which she guessed was the problem. I asked how a new ring could have prong problems. She said sometimes it happens. So if the store is aware that sometimes their rings are defective, why would they not take care of the issue, was my next question. I was told it wasn't their policy. I asked how much she estimated the repair to be with replacement of the stones... She said it would 608.00 for the tip repair and 200.00 for the stone replacement.

So 808.00 to repair a 543.00 ring that was purchased 90 days before the diamonds started dropping out. Her final response was, "You should've brought it back before the 30 days was up." I said the diamonds hadn't fallen out by your 30 day mark. "Well...it was out of warranty when they did." I have NUMEROUS diamond rings and have NEVER had a problem. This piece was inferior and the company should stand behind it.

I took the ring down to a local jeweler, as we live 2 hours from the store where I purchased it, and had the jeweler check the ring over. In addition to the missing stones, he found several chipped stones that were in danger of falling out as well. I asked him how much it would be to repair and replace the 2 that had fallen out already... I was quoted 12.00 per tip repair and 50.00 per diamond.... So 196.00 instead of 808.00. This jewelry store not only sells inferior pieces but also gouges on repair costs. This is why most of my jewelry is bought at small jewelry stores and not the big box stores and I will never purchase another piece from and Zales. Their customer service matches their quality.

Original review: July 28, 2022

Specifically talking about Rafina at the Green Acres location. She have been a great help, since March of 2022 I’ve been seeking help getting my ring fixed and no one cared and help like Rafina did! She’s treated us like her own daughter and son. We have never felt like we would be worried about our wedding coming up and won’t have a ring. Sometimes we don’t even have to go in to get the help we needed. We spoke to her over the phone and our needs are met! If you go there you should ask for Rafina. Majority of the salesperson only cared about the sales and not the customers but Rafina have been with us through it all from the beginning to the very end! I won’t prefer anyone else!

Original review: June 11, 2022

I called their customer service line to cancel my order and they refused to cancel it and they told me that I have to wait till it get to me then I have to return it and it’s is suppose to take 2 more weeks to get here. They have terrible customers service and are extremely rude

Original review: June 8, 2022

I bought my girlfriend a $240 gold bolo bracelet from Zales online for Christmas. It broke within the first 2 months. Got it fixed by a jeweler twice but it continuously broke in the same spot. Couldn’t return it because I didn’t get the warranty and I couldn’t get store credit because I didn’t try and get it fixed by the Zales jeweler. Also, No help from customer support, long wait time on phone. Won’t ever be buying this cheap jewelry again.

Original review: May 20, 2022

Where do I begin...? Do I start with their customer service is rude, disrespectful, liars and condescending not to leave out the discrimination and Zales customer rep Marie asked me why I wanted a store credit Instead of waiting for the check that she and four other CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVES told me four weeks In row was on its way, I'm receive it any day blah blah blah! Mind you I returned a watch I purchased because I had felt guilty I spent that much money on myself because of a sudden loss of income for my family so I returned the watch which they made me return to them and given a receipt to prove I returned since all 3 stores within 2 hour radius couldn't come up with $297.50??? Really $300. A corporate chain store in the jewelry industry can't produce less than $300?

So this was in early March 2022. It's now almost my anniversary. The date is May 19! Still no check. Tried to beg literally for them to just cancel so called check and give me a credit for store for my wife on our anniversary. They will not do so. Again rude. After call being dropped 4 or 5 times tonight just to get left on hold for 49min and returned with news I can't talk to anyone higher up than her! This has a name for it. It's called theft by deception. I warn you people. Do not shop here. Anything bad happen in life or get lost in shipping, damaged, not fit, etc. Zales is a bunch of disrespectful, condescending, judgmental lying thrives and cons. Calling Better Business Bureau tomorrow. What's it going to take for this stupid store to take me seriously?...

Original review: May 17, 2022

I order online my mother a necklace that was engraved with all our names, when it came the names were spelled wrong. They were spelled correct on the receipt and order form. I went to the store to return as I was advise it would be quicker but that was all a lie. Let's just say I couldn't get a exchange or a refund. They had to send it back to corp. They told me I can make a new purchase on another one but now I'm already out of several hundreds of dollars on the first purchase. Needless to say I'm over my 10 day mark. I still don't have my refund. The rep told me it can take up to 30 days to get my refund. This is not customer service and not my fault the stupid 3rd party they have engrave things didn't pay attention to details. I never see a company do this to the customers. I would never again look in Zales' direction.

Original review: May 2, 2022

PLEASE HELP! I signed up for a Zales account so that I can improve my credit NOT HURT IT! I signed up to have auto payments. My first payment did not come out. I thought I would get a statement but I didn't until March the 27th. When I saw this I called that day & made 2 payments & the lady said I was on a recorded line. If I made my payments it would be fine so I did. But nothing came through. I have over draft protection plus if anything ever happens it would come out of my savings acct. Nothing ever showed up. Then my bank told me that there were some many complaints about them that they had to put a hold on the account which made my payments again 4 hours late.

When I got my next statement on April the 7th I saw 3 payments now needed. I called & made 3 payments. He said on a recorded line everything should be fine if I made my payment and which I did. Then I checked my credit report and now you reported me 30 days late. I clearly trying very hard to make my payments. Can you help me fix this?? I work in credit & this will hurt my employment. They look at credit reports. PLEASE HELP me fix this or I could lose my license. I can prove everything! Then I once again signed up with their auto payments and they drafted my account 3 more months after I manually put in the 4th month on the 25th of April. That's what happened on the 27th of April they drafted out 3 payments again, they responded and said they could not help me. Please help me. Thank you.

Zales author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1924 in Wichita Falls, Texas, Zales is a jewelry company that sells its products in more than 750 stores across the United States and Puerto Rico. Customers can shop for jewelry from Zales at retail outlets and online.

• 60-day returns: Zales customers have up to 60 days to return any purchase without question.

• Design your own: The company has a Design Your Own program that lets customers custom create not only engagement rings, but other decorative jewelry pieces as well.

• Free shipping: People who shop on Zales.com receive free shipping when they spend they choose to ship their purchases to a Zales retail or retail outlet store.

• Credit options: The company offers credit plans with no annual fee to help customers pay for their jewelry and products.

• In-store services: Zales customers can take advantage of many in-store services, including lifetime cleaning and inspection.

Zales Company Information