Sears Appliance - Refrigerators
Based on 175 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Sears Refrigerators

Last updated: May 24, 2018

935 Sears Appliance - Refrigerators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 24, 2018

Refrigerator (purchased 2/2012) stopped working night of May 3. Called Sears on May 4. Was told first appointment was 1 week away between 8 and 5. High pressure to buy warranty - told me it was probably the compressor which would be covered. I asked if my refrigerator was still under any kind of warranty - was told she couldn't tell me.

On May 11 technician came. He took back off of refrigerator and made call on his phone. Since it was on speaker phone I heard everything. He said he didn't know what to do. The other person said to vacuum it, plug it in and let it run a few days. The technician used no tool to diagnose if the compressor was out. In the meantime, he pulled the water line to the ice maker and made it leak. He said he couldn't fix that either and left. He also left the back off the refrigerator with it plugged in and the unit in the middle of the floor. Water was dripping continuously onto my floor.

I called the service center and was told someone would call me back in less than an hour about fixing the water leak. I called them back after 2.5 hours without a call. I was on the phone for 3.5 hours being shifted from one department to another. Basically I was told the leak was my problem. They even had a claims agent speak to me in order to cover the floor damage I was going to have??!!

We had to hire a plumber to come at 7 p.m. on a Friday night to fix the leak. We hired another repairman to come fix the refrigerator. He diagnosed the compressor was out and tried to buy one - Sears/LG would not let him since "it is still under partial warranty" (found owner's manual - compressor guaranteed 10 years). I visited a Sears appliance store and was shown an email they were sending, asking to order a compressor to be sent to us. Never came.

I started calling on Monday, May 14 to see when someone would be back to fix the refrigerator. I kept getting the run-a-round so I cancelled the warranty I had bought. I asked them to please order a compressor so when a technician came, he could fix the refrigerator. I was told that wasn't possible. Multiple phone calls over couple of days and finally was told someone would be here May 17, between 8 and 5.

On May 17, technician showed up, connected diagnostic tools and declared the compressor was gone. His manager came with him and said they would do everything they could to help me (2 weeks without refrigerator at this point). Told me they had to order parts (surprise!) and would take 2-4 days. Scheduled me for repair for May 29. When I protested, the manager (Shawn **) told me he would expedite a technician, that I would not have to wait until the 29th. Gave me his cell phone number and said call when parts arrived.

Parts arrived May 23 (came from Louisville KY, 90 miles away. I would have driven to pick them up if I had known but why didn't they?) and my husband called Shawn **. No answer, left message, no return call. This morning I tried to call Shawn **, no answer. I called the service repair center and was told I was scheduled for May 29 and had never been scheduled for an earlier date. No way to get anyone here sooner. So I will be 4 weeks without refrigeration.

I have been lied to and purposely ignored. We have a large empty box (refrigerator) sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor where the technician left it. We have been without a refrigerator for almost 3 weeks with no repair in sight. We have taken off work to sit here and wait. There has been no consideration for what we are going through. I have asked for a loaner refrigerator and was refused.

Today I asked the service center for a new refrigerator and was answered with total disdain of my request. I need to find someone with Sears who will take responsibility for this fiasco. Someone who can help me and not lie to me. I'm tired of living on peanut butter and eating out and asking for ice water to take home. I'm tired of being treated like an idiot. I'm tired of Sears after being a customer for over 40 years and a houseful of Kenmore appliances. No wonder they are circling the drain. My advice - never buy a home warranty from Sears. They can't come fix anything anyway.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Frigidaire refrigerator 2 doors not working. Bad service!!! I have 2 weeks without a refrigerator waiting for an 2 week appointment, I purchased this refrigerator on April 2017 at Sears and within a month technician had to come to my house 3 times and in the entire year 6 times, when the refrigerator is not making ice, is not dispensing ice, or temperature goes up and stop cooling, I had to throw all my food out of the refrigerator twice. And they fix one thing and the other broke... frustrating and very bad service from Sears.

Get expert buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 17, 2018

We were pleased with the Kenmore Elite for about 3 months when the water filter started leaking water and went into the vegetable bin which had about a 1/2" of water. Then the door seal came apart. There are only two of us, no children so it was not mistreated in any way. The ice maker was always running out of ice or would melt then freeze into a huge log. Then two days ago my wife said there was no ice so I assumed the water filter is plugged up so after taking all the perishables to my son's freezer I called a repairman that said parts and repair would be too expensive so I have to buy a refrigerator. I am not buying another Sears model.

Original review: May 8, 2018

This is a "French Door" style fridge, and I HATE IT! Closing the left door is an ordeal. Also, the "cold water" in the door is not really cold, just filtered, and the $60 filter only lasts 2 months despite being fed from a 4 stage reverse osmosis purification system.

Original review: May 8, 2018

The indoor ice maker reduced the refrigerator capacity. The glass shelves scratch easily. Nevertheless, we love the water filter system and energy efficiency of this refrigerator.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sears?

Original review: May 8, 2018

Was the stainless steel refrigerator painted black? The bottom doors, all three doors, French door type with bottom freezer, all doors rusted. Never had refrigerators rust before. Otherwise performance storage all else was good on the refrigerator except for the rusting of the bottom doors which cause leakage of water to the floor.

Original review: May 7, 2018

My Sears refrigerator was plenty large enough for holiday food storage, I had the bottom freezer which I found helpful. I am short so this made it very easy to put things away and know what was in it. The color was almond and it was textured which was easy to clean. I used my fridge for 9 years with no problems. It was going strong when I sold my home.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Only problem is the seal strip on the left-hand door does not always retract; so have to be careful not to close it without checking that it retracted.

Original review: May 6, 2018

I have used Sears for 50 yrs but no more, they are selling junk in their name and trying to get service even after paying a large extra fee for extended maintenance. It's a JOKE. I will never buy from Sears again.

Original review: May 6, 2018

I purchased this refrigerator from Sears after having a Whirlpool delivered that was too large. So this refrigerator had the same features that the Whirlpool had and I caught it on sale, which was really cool.

Original review: May 5, 2018

My husband and I bought a Kenmore refrigerator at Sears. We paid 1000.00$ for a black side by side fridge. It's very cheaply made. The lower part of fridge does not get cold, the drawers are plastic and already cracked. Food stored on the bottom goes bad really quick. The freezer does stay cold, but the shelves do not hold a lot of food. We bought this Kenmore in 2016, we are still using it. Our 30 yr old fridge which we had before this one, worked great. Sadly you get what you pay for. We couldn't afford to buy a more expensive one. Very disappointed!

Original review: May 5, 2018

It’s a good refrigerator as far as it goes but the way the door closes is one drawback. It’s hard to close as it slams when you try to shut it. Otherwise no problem with it. Freezer is in the bottom which is great. It is a nice looking refrigerator. It has a nice interior.

Original review: May 5, 2018

The bars that hold the items like ketchup, mustard, salad dress, etc don't stay attached to the inside of the door and often detach from the door and everything falls out of the doors into the floor. It needs a screw or something to attach it better to the door. It just slides over a little bump on the side of the door and is suppose to hold. It is plastic and it often slides up and off the bumps that are suppose to hold it.

Original review: May 4, 2018

The freezer has lots of room, has ice maker. The refrigerator has two drawers for your deli / vegetables. Lots of room in the refrigerator door to put things. The refrigerator stays cold - nice machine.

Original review: May 4, 2018

If it's a 25 year old fridge and works well and I still have it the reason is that the product works for what it is. Sears appliances last. The temperature controls work and the seals are good.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Best value for the money! Stainless steel 22.7" French Door with spacious freezer. Very spacious, lights up nicely and cleans nicely with Sears appliance stainless cleaner. Mostly smudge proof though. Easy and adjustable pull out tempered glass shelves that wipe up nicely and the extra large basket removes easily for cleaning and is adjustable. Crisper drawers are easy to remove as well as the fresh drawer compartment. Alarm rings if door is left open. Automatic ice maker which I haven't installed. The next time I purchase one I would prefer the ice and water on the door front. It definitely will be a Sears Kenmore. I definitely rate their appliances a 10!

Original review: May 3, 2018

The refrigerator's size is fine for the two people in our house, probably wouldn't be for a larger family. We have had a lot of problems with the ice maker, not a problem with the amount of ice, but getting it to come out in the door. It freezes up and we have to take it apart and clean the ice out. It usually makes a mess before it's over.

Original review: May 3, 2018

My Sears fridge is 21 years old and working fine except the ice maker quit dispensing ice. Still makes ice, just doesn't dispense it. No parts for this icemaker since it's so old. No problem. I'd probably get another Sears brand soon.

Original review: May 2, 2018

It was an excellent unit and was extremely energy efficient especially when comparing to previous unit. It was always at exact settings we wanted and never seemed to deviate from that setting.

Original review: May 2, 2018

It died after 5 years, had to buy another. The cost to get it fix almost the same price. It was loud. We were asleep and heard this noise, like a freight train. Then call. It was a default. They fix that. And next the ice maker died, about a couple days later the whole thing just died.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Compared with the retired unit; the use of space is not ideal, it started out quiet and after 3 months started to make vibrations (repairman says it is normal), it is not as wide but deeper so it sticks out further and wastes space between the cabinets. However it was the only one I could find to fit through the kitchen doorway. I must keep it warmer than suggested or else the lettuce freezes. (Keep it set at 41 degrees to maintain 37 degrees). Not really happy with unit.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Ice chamber jams occasionally, a plastic spoon handle into the inside chamber solves it. Door on my right initially was hard to close, just lived with it and it solved itself.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I honestly don't even understand why you would allow customers to rate you! From the product to the customer service, I couldn't even give you a star, if I wasn't forced to! We purchased our refrigerator less than a year ago and it is rusting. This is ridiculous seeing as stainless steel shouldn't rust to begin with! Customer service did nothing to accommodate us, however offered us to pay more money for an extended warranty. Do not purchase anything from these thieves!

Original review: April 30, 2018

Sears IS or WAS to be the APPLIANCE SUPERSTORE. From their EXTREMELY rude and nasty sales reps to the delivery guys who delivered my appliances refusing to set them up + damaging them to the installers who damaged my home while installing the appliances and finally to the service tech who come out and VERIFY the appliances are NOT WORKING but do NOT repair or replace them even though you have a 5 year warranty on ALL Appliances and for the last straw stealing from you while in your home to cover up their lies of WHY THEY ARE CANCELLING YOUR 5 YEAR WARRANTY FOR NO REASON. WORTH THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS. Do NOT ever purchase ANYTHING on a Sears charge card. IF you EVER have a problem with a Sears purchase REMEMBER THE CARDS IS OWNED BY SEARS and will do nothing to help! $15,000 in Kenmore Elite Appliances trash Inc Damage to My home!

Original review: April 29, 2018

Sears Nightmare: Sept. 21, 2017 Kenmore Elite refrigerator stopped working. Oct. 5, first Sears Tech arrives – diagnosis problem as the circuit board. We pay one half the cost of a new circuit board upfront ($ 345.65) and Tech orders a new circuit board. Oct. 12 circuit board arrives by UPS. Oct. 20 second Sears Tech arrives to install the new circuit board. He determines problem is not the circuit board but is the compressor that is still under warranty. He takes the circuit board – says he will return it and Sears will refund our payment. He orders a new compressor. Nov. 3, third Sears Tech arrives and installs the compressor and refrigerator is fixed. Six weeks from initial problem to a fix.

In January we realize that we had not received the refund and we call Sears on Jan. 3, 2018 to request our refund. Have called Sears at least 15 times and get nothing but a runaround. They assign a case No: ** but that did not seem to help. It is now mid January 2018 and still have no refund from Sears. I am still trying and considering Small Claims Court, contacting our state's attorney general’s office and Consumers Fraud Dept. Jan. 14, 2018 I send this message to Sears on their Facebook page. They respond with message promising to help. April 29, 2018 Update: It is now April 29, 2018 and still no explanation or refund on the returned circuit board.

Original review: April 29, 2018

My refrigerator from Sears was also including minor options. Sears fully presented many options of 1 compared with the other, while also including additional warranty (that many other stores would never include).

Original review: April 29, 2018

Can't replace Ice maker that went out years ago. Unit too old. Hard to keep right temp in freezer and fridge. Too big for the space (old house). But it has held up 20 years, so it must be good overall.

Original review: April 29, 2018

We found it necessary to open both refrigerator doors to open the middle drawer. Some models have that middle drawer with its own handle to open from the outside so we would have preferred that. Also, we found the model we bought is discontinued so we can't order the water filter replacement. We definitely would have bought a different model had we realized that.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I like the refrigerator, but made a bad choice in color for the area that I live in. I have it is black with smooth surface. It picks up every dust particle and finger prints. If I had to do over I would go with white again.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Sears ref since 1998. I wouldn't trade it for any ref made today. Most new models are hard to fit under cabinets because of new energy guidelines. If you could repair your old fridge. The new models are smaller on inside capacity.

Sears Appliance - Refrigerators Company Information