1.26/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Sears Refrigerators

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 14, 2017

835 Sears Appliance - Refrigerators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

In June of 2016, I purchased a Kenmore 73002 19.5 cu. ft. Bottom Freezer Refrigerator - White. It was a fancy refrigerator which costed $1299.99 plus tax. I purchased it and didn't add additional warranty because usually with all my other purchases from SEARS, Kenmore products are durable. Well, so much for durable.

Exactly a year later, the refrigerator started making noise. I called SEARS and ask to get an extended warranty. They said that the smart warranty is the best. It covered all my appliances in the home for just $54.00 a month. I was to get the first month free. But I couldn't call anything until September 25, 2017 when the warranty takes effect. Okay so I agreed. The co payment for service was $75.00. I called in September 2017 for them to come and check out the refrigerator which almost stopped working completely. They made the appointment for the 25 of September and sent me an email which stated I had to pay $80.00. Which was not the agreed upon price in the contract for the warranty, I argued until I was blue in my face but they still charged me an amount not agreed upon and if I wanted my refrigerator checked I had to pay.

The following day they charged me $54.00, in which they said I would have a free month. Come to find out the month that was free was the month I was not to make any claims. Therefore there really wasn't any free month. Had I known I would have just paid for a one year extended warranty. I lost over $250.00 worth of food waiting for them to come and check the refrigerator. The technician stayed no more than ten minutes to fix the refrigerator.

I research and found out that this type of refrigerator was having the same issues since 2004, 2005. Why are they still selling a product that has temperature issues? This is a refrigerator, and without it properly functioning one cannot live in a home. It is essential. Well, the refrigerator is having the same problem again not even two weeks later and I had to schedule for service again. They are now charging me $89.00 per the email when they didn't even repair it in the first place and now they want more money. If this isn't fleecing American than I don't know what is.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I have a Sears Kenmore Elite Counter Depth refrigerator that is under warranty and about 3 years old. Unfortunately, the outside has been "sweating", so I called the repairman. It took 3 weeks to get an appointment, and the water has damaged my floor. Then the guy comes out and tells me it is 'unrepairable'. Ok, I say. I'll have to have it replaced with my warranty. So he calls it in, and the guy on the phone says "it's environmental. Case denied because he lives too close to the ocean". The tech there say, "Um, no, he doesn't live close to the ocean." The guy on the line says "I'm the last word. Let him complain all he wants" and hangs up on the tech.

The poor guy at my house was at a loss; I don't live close to the ocean as we both knew standing in my kitchen (a long way from the ocean), and I had heard the whole thing. I called into customer service, and they said the STAC guy on the other end WAS the last word. It was like being in the Twilight Zone; nothing we could do, not even give them my address -- the word had been given that we were "too close to the ocean". I got the tech's #, and a written statement, and let him go. I called customer service a # of times, and finally got someone who said they could send another tech out who could override the "STAC" guy on the other end of the phone on the first call.

That appointment was 3 weeks later. Again the tech comes out. Again, he says it is broken. And he says it is obvious. But, lo and behold, he says he has "no power", and "can't override STAC". So, what to do? Every human sees: it's a faulty/broken fridge. But reality doesn't have anything to do with it, and there's no way out of this weird Kafkaesque conundrum. This is where I write: My floors are damaged, my wall is "bubbling", and I now have to wait for longer. The fridge was 4,500 dollars. I feel robbed, and would like to sue... But at the very least feel that anyone who reads this should avoid Sears and Kenmore at all costs.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Called for repairs on my parents refrigerator on Sept 13, since it is still under warranty we contacted Sears. The soonest they could send someone out was the 19th. When tech showed up he said it was the condenser but he was unable to fix it and that Sears had to send someone else out to diagnose it. After calling numerous time they sent omens out on the 22 with a condenser. He stated it wasn't the problem and told them it was just a blocked vent. I go to the house the following day and the refrigerator is still warm and the freezer is icing up. I bought a thermometer for fridge and both fridge and freezer are reading at unsafe temps.

Call again and have to wait for someone to come out Again. When next tech comes out he says it is the condenser and that he has to order it. It is now October 4 and we are still waiting for the parts to come in. I have called countless times to complain about why this has not been resolved. Talked to Jim ** with Sears customer relations and he doesn't seem to think that there is a problem with having a refrigerator that is reading between 47 and 57 degrees. I am beyond disgusted with the customer service. The next date they have someone going out is October 13. A full month after the first call was made. A month that my parents have been without a refrigerator.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I have used Sears warranties for years and have never had problems before now. Our refrigerator stopped cooling in early August. I call and scheduled an appointment and was informed it would take a week for a repair person to come to our home. When the day for the repair came, they canceled and scheduled for yet another week later. When they did arrive, they did not have the parts and had to come back yet another week later.

In that time, we of course lost everything in our refrigerator. I filed a food loss claim on 8/15. Supposedly a check was issued on 8/18. We have never received that check. I have called 5 times and all they keep telling me is that the issue is being researched. Today I called and was told that it could be another 3 weeks. This is totally unacceptable. I will never use Sears for any warranty issues again.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

The Sears service technician was called to diagnose & repair a leak coming from the bottom of Kenmore refrigerator. Within a minute of taking off the back bottom panel of the refrigerator, it was obvious the leak was coming from water system tubing. What I found unacceptable is that he did not have any tubing on his truck and would need to come back to make the repair.

So I now will be ordering the tubing for $6 and making the repair myself. The diagnostic cost alone was $112.22 and if I had wanted him to come back to replace the water line tubing the total cost including the diagnostic cost would be $291.21. While the technician was still in my home, I called Sears to asks if it was acceptable for them to send out a technician without what I consider to be a common refrigerator part and they said yes. I took half a day off work and had I known that Sears does stock their trucks with common parts, I would have called another appliance repair company. What a waste of time. Never again will I call Sears.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sears?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I bought a fridge about 2 years ago (Kenmore) at Sears! I have extended warranty on it and it is rusting on the doors! I call Sears Home Services and the customer service people (who refuse to give me an manager) told me that they do not cover rust and literally hang up the phone! Will not renew my home service warranty that cost me 700 dollars per year!!! Very dissatisfied customer!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

When my garage freezer broke, I called Sears to inquire about the availability of a replacement freezer for next-day delivery. I was told they had a model in stock that could be delivered the next day if I placed the order prior to 5:00 p.m., and I was told that I would receive a phone call that night to schedule the delivery for the next day. The call never came. Went online the next day to check the delivery and it was scheduled for the following day -- meanwhile all of the food in my broken freezer is thawing out. Called various departments: online orders, home delivery, online customer service -- to no avail. The supervisor in home delivery even admitted I had been given "misinformation" and fully acknowledged that my reliance on Sears' promise was now responsible for the loss of hundreds of dollars of frozen food.

If I had not been told I was guaranteed "next day delivery" if my online was placed by 5:00 p.m., I would have gone to a big box store to make the purchase. Perhaps that is why I was given the "misinformation" in the first place. Lying to a customer about what you will deliver in order to procure an order is fraud. There is no way Sears can survive with this lack of customer consideration or service. Please reconsider your policies regarding online sales, and provide only accurate and verifiable information to customers.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

The only reason I even went to SEARS was because Appliance Smart and Home Depot had my refrigerator on back order and it was going to take a month to deliver. So I went to SEARS! Yippee! I went into SEARS in St. Paul, MN and ordered my white, Kenmore, french door, icemaker, and water-in-the door fridge on Tuesday, September 12th. I was ecstatic to hear I would get my fridge on Thursday, Sept 14th between 5:15 and 7:15 pm. I paid more to have it delivered in the evening because I teach from 7:30 - 3:30 and then I'm at school until about 4:30.

Thursday rolled around and I got a call at 6:30 am asking if I could change my delivery to 2-4 pm because they've had some cancellations. I say no because I work. I can't be there. No problem, they'll deliver it in the time I was given. I go home, take everything out of the fridge and lo and behold, I get a robo call at 5:45 saying they can't deliver it that night. Weird, because they've had cancellations earlier in the day. They should have NO PROBLEM delivering it. I call customer service and ask why. The guy says he doesn't know because there was no documentation as to why.

Well I'm no dummy, it's because they were done at 2 pm and didn't want to stick around. I head to SEARS to say, what's up with that? That's ridiculous. SEARS says, "you're right". They give me a $100 credit and say, "it'll be there tomorrow". Same time. Now it's Friday, Sept 16 and I'm told I'll get it between 5:15-7:15 pm. Great! Well nope! They deliver the wrong one. I go back to SEARS. They say "oops! We ordered you the wrong one." Now, they say Monday between 5:15-7:15 pm.

Monday, Sept 18 comes and I get a robo call. Oops! Your fridge didn't make it on the truck from Chicago to Minneapolis. Are you kidding me?!? Tuesday, Sept 19 I am told I'll get my fridge. At this point, who knows? The manager at SEARS sends me a message saying, "you'll get your fridge at 5:30". I say, "perfect", because I won't be home until then as I have meetings after school. I get a call at 4:30 saying from the delivery guy who says, "yeah, I'll get you your fridge, but I was done at 2 pm, but since you need it today, and this is the 4th attempt, I won't be able to be with my kid on her birthday, but you need your fridge."

Seriously?!? WTH? I was guilt-tripped by the delivery guy because I'm paying $1500 for a fridge? When the delivery guys showed up, I video documented everything. The one guy who blamed me for not being able to spend his kid's bday with him was a total ass. And the other guy was fine. I'm never buying from SEARS again. And thank God I didn't pay the extra $500 for the warranty.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I took out the Master plan warranty for 'in case the refrigerator breaks'!!! The entire freezer part kept icing over. I had it repaired FIVE TIMES! When it happened the fifth time I called for a replacement as I was told that after the same problem had happened 3 times, the next time it would be replaced!!! Of course they told me once the 4th time came around, that it did NOT qualify for some unknown reason!!! I am now sitting without this same refrigerator for 3 weeks!!! This is for a different issue completely! It took 5 days to get service once I had called in for repairs! They came out here and told me what was wrong, but never told me it was going to be worse than it was when they arrived. When they got here, I could not use the ice or water. Once they left, the entire refrigerator was not cooling!

A week later they came back with a 'second tech' for opinions, They needed to order parts, which would take 3-5 days!!! That was a week ago! I called today to see when they would be here, to be told that the part was on back order. The soonest it would come in is 6 days from now! Firstly, that means we are without a receiver for a minimum of just under 4 weeks!!! Secondly, do you not think that Direct Appliances of Dallas could have called me to let me know they cannot get the part!!! I had told the techs that it was our Jewish holidays this week and I HAD TO HAVE a refrigerator!!! Had I at least been advised by Direct Appliance, I would have rented a darn fridge!!!

Talking to the service or warranty department is like being in a torture chamber. They make every single excuse why they cannot do anything more to help you. You go to repairs, then get sent to warranties, then to claims or something like that just to be told they will put you back to the repairs department!!! I asked, in fact, I begged to speak to a supervisor but was refused over and over!!! The lady Katina was extremely condescending to me! Yes, I started yelling as would anyone who is a) without a fridge for so long, b) getting nowhere with a company who clearly have their run around plan all planned out, and c) you have paid a lot of extra money for this supposed warranty!!! What is the customer supposed to do???

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I made an appointment online on a Friday morning for our broken refrigerator. The appointment was scheduled for Monday afternoon between 1-5. Our refrigerator and freezer were not cooling, so we were living out of our beverage refrig and coolers waiting for the Monday repair. Technician called at 1:30 to say he wasn't coming. He was too busy and had been up since 6:00. Waaa! Waaa! It's your job! I called the Sears Home Service number. They passed the info along to the technician's manager and I was supposed to get a call back within an hour to let me know if they could get someone else to come. After 1 1/2 hours I called again. Was told again I'd get a call back within an hour.

Guess I know how they trained to answer questions! Was called back after about 45 minutes. Technician felt it was my fault because there was a miscommunication about the appointment. Hmmm. I thought it was pretty clear-cut: Schedule for specific time and they show up. I asked if he could come the following morning. He said there was no way he could come. I'd have to reschedule. I did, but with GE home repair!!!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I purchased a Kenmore refrigerator from Sears not quite 2 years ago and it just broke down. Mind you it cost approximately $3,000. I cant seem to get anyone to help me get it fixed without at least a 2-week wait. Regardless when do you buy appliances and they break down this soon?! Sears doesn't even seem to care. I will never buy another product from Sears. The biggest reason is the fact that the product broke down to start with, the second reason is their customer service. Why does the government only require companies to give warranties of 1 year on such big purchases?!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

My 2 yr old Kenmore fridge stopped cooling and freezing. I called Sears on Sept 12 for a repair, my appointment was for Sept 15, between 8am to 12pm. No one ever showed up or called me. I called them at 12 to see why, was told they were at my house at 8:30am and repair was completed, um really, nope no one came, then they said they were at wrong address. After hrs on the phone arguing with them all they could do is schedule me another date for the 20th. I have lost over 300$ in food, have 5 kids and they didn't care. All I got was, "Sorry we don't know what happened." I reported them to their corporate, and even the BBB. Never again will I shop at Sears. Very unprofessional and rude.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

We were getting ready to move from Metro Denver, Colorado area to Myrtle Beach, SC. On 9/1/15 we bought a really nice Kenmore Refrigerator. The cost was $2,570. And they would deliver it when we needed it after getting to our new home. I really loved this fridge. On 8/13/17, I noticed that the fridge was not keeping things cold, and looked like things in freezer were thawing. So I called the service center to get someone over here to see about fixing it. The response I got was not to our liking.

They could NOT get anyone here to even look at it until 9/21/17. So, I went down to the Sears store in person to see if they could get someone to come earlier than the phone call I made. Again, to our dismay... NOT until 9/21/17. So, we called another company here in Myrtle Beach and they sent a gentleman to see what he could do on 8/14/17. He seemed like he knew what he was doing... but... the fridge itself scanned at 60 degrees (don't remember what it said for freezer, but not where it should be to keep things frozen). Then he stated he couldn't work on it as it was still under the 5 year warranty from Sears. Plus he stated they could NOT get parts for it as it was built by LG. Just to order the parts he said could even be up to 6 mths just to get them, then time you made appt to get them put in. MIND you, this would be close to 8/9 mths just to do all this.

So I called the service center again to see if we could really get someone here sooner but to no avail. We even suggested that someone come and get it until they could fix it and lend us another one... but they said NO. So how are you suppose to keep food cold enough for months without it being fixed. People DO need to eat. I guess people have to eat out for this amount of time. RIDICULOUS. So, I canceled the appt for them to just even come and look at it and went out and bought another Refrigerator... NOT connected to LG. So, OFF went my NICE fridge for something different. NOT Happy with Sears and will NEVER buy anything from Sears again. This was a LOT of money out of our pocket not to even last 2 years. After the fact is when I started hearing so much BAD stuff on this store.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

This review is long overdue. I purchased the refrigerator a few years ago. From the very beginning the cooling was uneven (most items on the top froze), the shelves broke and the ice maker leaked. Public service helped out a few times but as of now, my juice is still frozen. I respected the Sears name before this. I did contact Sears but was told I needed to pay a technician to come out and diagnose the problem. No more money for me on this appliance.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

All I have to say is I will never buy an appliance that A&E is the repair company. They have taken 5 weeks so far to fix the LG fridge. There is NO customer service in this company. The company should go out of business as soon as possible.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

When my refrigerator went out and I lost all of my food I called Sears service. They gave me an appt time of 14 days out. 14 days later the tech shows up to diagnose the issue. With no parts on his truck to make the repair. He left saying he would be back in 2 weeks to replace the compressor but in the meantime the part(s) would be delivered to my home. Well, 2 weeks later Sears calls and tells me they see the parts would not be arriving at my home the day of the scheduled delivery. Sears told me they would have to reschedule the repair for 2 (more) weeks after that!

So, now it's been a month with no working refrigerator in my home and when the service tech shows up and puts the new compressor in he then tells me he should have ordered another part with the Order! He said he would order that part to be delivered to my home as he did with the first order, and he would be back in about 14 days to complete the service call. As of right now, the total time with no refrigerator is going on 2 months! Never ever buy an appliance from Sears!! Biggest mistake I've made as an adult!!!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

Kenmore refrigerator - In short, They sold a broken refrigerator and asked to fix or replacement, but they said they couldn't replace it. Instead replacement, they ordered a part to fix it. But they ordered a wrong part and they said I had to wait until they found a right part from a factory and delivered to my home. The refrigerator showed an error since it delivered. And a technician visited around 3 days after and ordered a part. We waited 10 days to received the part. And another technician visited again, found out the part delivered was wrong part. So he tried to find the part. I called Sears customer service and asked when I can expect to receive it. But they said they cannot estimate it. So I asked to replace it rather than waiting a part to deliver. But they said they couldn't do it.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I can top all of the complaints, Sears holding corp can only be contacted by email. Any and all phone calls, service, delivery is done in the Philippines!!! Not United States. I called several Sears stores, diff states and asked them if they knew. Thought I was joking till they put me on hold and call all the # to Sears. I was right. I have wasted 2 solid days with people that could not get out of a open door.

I have not had ref going on a wk. They promised it would be here on Tues in morning. All calls a recorded. Then 4 to 6pm, then 2 to 4. Great I get my ref that I paid for. Here comes the del guy telling me his truck can't make it up the str. The rest in text between he and I. Trash trucks, ups, fire trucks, LG, U-Haul come up all the time, sent a pic of my str at the time he forgot how to drive. Told him he was a liar, he told me he was losing money on my del and I would have to resch for a smaller truck.

The people in Philippines refused to del my paid ref until this Fri. I paid 4 my ref on Sept 1. Temp was 107, with no cold water, milk, food nada. If anybody or all of people who have been screwed over would like to joint file a case against Sears or go after this company that has NO customer service, count me in. How dare a company like Sears lets this happen. The share holders are less than what my cat does in litter box, spineless. I have email with pics over and over at least 10 times today. Call all stores you can and let them know they belong to the Philippines.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

Sears should be ashamed of themselves for their extended warranty program. My refrigerator stopped working and I contacted them for repair. Best case now is that it will take a minimum of a month before the refrigerator is usable. The $550 I spent on the extended warranty is the biggest waste of money I have ever had. I had been a loyal Kenmore - Sears major appliance purchaser for the past 43 years, including 12 appliances purchased in the last 4.5 years for two homes. Based on my recent experience I will never purchase any product from Sears again. If anyone is aware of a class action against Sears for their extended warranty program please post the details - I would love to participate.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Don't buy Sears Kenmore Elite (LG) 30 cu ft LG Refrigerator! This refrigerator is a piece of garbage! So is the extended warranty - may as well be TP. Sent over $3,000 for model 795.72482411 and extended warranty in November 2015. Less than 2 years later started making rattling noise like bearing or bushing going out on an air circulation motor. Called Sears repair and they sent out a person ('monitor') instead of a technician who confirmed not normal noise - it was likely ice buildup on the evaporator which was rubbing on a circulation fan. He was not authorized to repair. Had to call Sears service again to schedule a technician and the earliest repair technician was 2 weeks later.

Meanwhile the noise gets louder. The technician comes and finds the coils caked in ice. He thaws them out but does not repair or replace any part. He says homeowner responsible because of a lack of air flow in freezing unit. He advises 1) take out shallow freezer drawer, 2) no plastic bags in lower freezer drawer, 3) dump out the ice from ice maker bin once per week. These were not specified verbally or in writing to us when we purchased this refrigerator and are a significant inconvenience. So, I fully expect it to happen again. I'm afraid when it happens again that there will be another delay in repair service or we will be off of warranty.

Looking online this appears be a recurring issue for this model indicating a design flaw so that it does not defrost properly. Forty percent of reviewers give this refrigerator a 'very dissatisfied' rating. We went to the manager of the appliance section of the store where we bought it asking for advice. She called the service department to schedule an annual check up so I could discuss with the technician if there was a workaround. Workaround could include more frequent defrost cycle or extended defrost cycle (defrost element on longer). After several holds and 15 minutes the service person would not schedule our annual maintenance because the repairman reported his visit as an 'annual maintenance' rather than a service call to repair a problem. The manager passed the service rep to my wife who tried to explain this.

After 5 more minutes we requested another 'service appointment' to check for ice buildup and ask the technician about a 'workaround'. The service rep transferred us to schedule an appointment for 'repair'. My wife handed the call to me because I would need to be home to let the technician in the house. The person then began asking me questions on a troubleshooting checklist. "Had I tried to remove the ice build up on the coils?" "What was the freezer temperature?" "Was it was lower than 0 F?" If it was it could be causing the problem. "What was the refrigerator temperature?" Was it was cooler than 37F?" We were in the Sears store so could not check.

Then the appointment scheduler tried to walk me through how to a manually defrost. This is not in the manual one gets when one purchases this refrigerator. The caller spoke such broken English I could not determine what to do. I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO BE DOING ANY OF THIS! IT WAS NOT EXPLICIT OR IMPLICIT IN THE ORIGINAL PURCHASE AGREEMENT! All I want is to fix the problem... either give me a new refrigerator that works, pay for a 5 year extended warranty so a technician can come melt the ice off my 'frost-free' freezer every year, or put a larger heating element (evaporator), longer timer or more frequent cycle than every 8 days! LG - BETA TEST YOUR REFRIGERATORS BEFORE YOU SELL THEM!!!!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Purchased my ($1,299 + $500 for 5 year insurance plan) Kenmore bottom freezer on July 15, 2017. Had it delivered on July 21, 2017. August 25th a little over 30 days it quit working!! I called to have a technician sent, while I'm on the phone they are asking if I would like estimates for any upgrades! Unbelievable! I said “Sir. MY BRAND NEW REFRIGERATOR IS NOT WORKING. WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST I DO!! I’m not interested in anything else!!!” The earliest appointment was next Thursday the 31st between 1-5. Ok. They never showed up.

I called at around 5:10 pm. They said they weren't coming till the following week Sept 7th!! So we pay insurance & you guys have no kind of emergency plan, they said “No we do not!” So he said “I'm going to send an email stating you need a sooner appointment.” He said someone will email me within an hour or the next day (Friday). So it's Friday and still no email so I call at 2 pm. They said “Mam there's nothing we can do. We don't work weekends & we are off Labor Day!!” So guess what. I'm stuck till next Thursday with no fridge!!! 2 freakin weeks!!! RIDICULOUS!!! I WILL NEVER BUY FROM SEARS AGAIN EVER!!!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Purchased from Sears internet (Della upright freezer, 3.0 cubic feet) in April 2017 for $170 and now 4 1/2 months it is working as expected as advertised. Excellent size 27" deep x 37" high x 20" wide. Defrosted after 4 months and took 2 hours to melt ice on shelves.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I have been a faithful Sears customer for nearly 40 years. I have never had such difficulty before... ever. You buy a service contract and then no service. Just excuses. Not one person I spoke to today in every department they bounced me to was able to explain or help me with a service repair to my GE refrigerator. I am still without water and ice and on top of that, I find out, because I asked, that my claim for food loss was denied from less than a month ago when my freezer malfunctioned. No notifications and no appeal. I am done with Sears now and forever. As soon as someone comes back and fixes the ice maker, I will cancel my service contract and never again step foot in Sears again. Ever. That includes all subsidiaries.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

On March 26, 2015 I bought a bottom freezer Refrigerator Kenmore Elite. We used to have one when we lived in California. During 13 years we never had an issue with this equipment. Kenmore had a great reputation on the market. The new house we moved to in September 2005 was equipped with a GE refrigerator. It lasted close to 8 years and then we had to replace it in March 2015. The new Kenmore Elite we bought showed the first defect after 8 months of operation. The ice maker did not deliver any ice anymore. A technician was sent and fixed the issue. This August 20, 2017, we came back from a two (2) weeks trip. The bottom freezer was out of service and we had to throw away $440.00 of goods that started rotting! I was able to reactivate the freezer, but it never reached the set temperature of 2 F and kept disconnecting regularly every few hours. Also the ice maker did not work again.

I found this very upsetting to have such issues with an appliance that is barely 2 years and 5 months old!!! On August 21st, 2017 I called the Sears Service department and explained the problem. The first thing the person online told me: "You are not covered by the guarantee anymore. Just the service call will cost you $ 99.00"!!! It is evidently all about money. Plus, I was told that the first available date to send a technician was September 1st!!! We live in Arizona where it is currently between 105 and 110 F. I would expect some better service considering our situation. Also, my wife is currently fighting liver and bone cancer. All the stress of this lack of support from Sears did not help her moral. This becomes unfortunately the trend followed by several American companies. Everyone starts cutting quality corners to make more profit.

At the same time, knowing that their equipment is crappy and will not hold the usual and expected lifetime, they try to sell you "extended warranties" at outrageous prices... to make more money. The CEOs of these companies need to start thinking about the fact that if you trash the quality of your products you will go bankrupt sooner or later. This is the way Sears is currently going. If you increase the cost of goods but keep the expected quality, your business will be successful. I will NEVER by Sears appliances or other products again. Shame on you to treat customers so badly.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

The parts/repair department appears to be overseas with a bad connection and difficult to understand reps. I took the problem to actual store and now it is 5 weeks that I don't know when my refrigerator parts are coming and when it will be fixed. No one will call me or tell me the plan. How can they feel that having NO refrigerator this long is reasonable? It is so frustrating to have NO answer, NO plan. My receipt is with the sales rep who said she would help me. She has been kind, but her escalation of the problem has still not resulted in help.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I am done buying anything from Sears. The icemaker on my new refrigerator died, so I called to check on the warranty. After suffering through the computer automated attendant that argues with you and you have to yell at it a half dozen times before getting a human being, I then had to deal with two customer service reps who barely spoke English. They were rude and interrupted me when I tried to ask a question. They would not listen, just kept talking. I hear the big retailers are hurting, but instead of blaming their competition they might want to examine their own abominable customer service. If Sears quits doing business, it will be their own fault.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

I bought this Kenmore side by side refrigerator in June 2017 and within weeks started hearing unusual noise coming from the fresh air filter between freezer side and the refrigerator side. Called and got a tech scheduled to come out and look at it and was given a time frame between 8 am and 5 pm. Waited all day and finally got a call from tech at 4:06 pm. He stated that I was on his route but he had one more in front of me and was running a little behind. Around 6:20 pm I called his number and asked, "Are you coming?" So long story short he showed up at 7:30 pm. After 2 months of the noise it stopped so he did not hear it. Said "Nothing I can do" without hearing it.

Next morning noise back has been continuous when fan is on and new appointment scheduled again for someone to come out again. This time I recorded the noise but I still have no confidence in it being repaired. After seeing other reviews about this brand now I know why salesman tried so hard to sell me this one. I should have known something was not right when the 5 years extended warranty was approximately $375. If I make it through this one I do not think I will buy anything else from Sears or a Kenmore appliance.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I have enjoyed this refrigerator for a little over 2 years then it began breaking down on me. I have one more year of warranty left, but using their repairman has been exasperating. Each time I lose my investment in groceries, and it takes a month out from my initial call to get a scheduled appointment due to lack of hired technicians by Sears. Immediately, I get bombarded by email surveys asking about my experience with Sears. All the questions are concerning how I was treated on the phone. They have that part down. None of their questions have to do with the quality of the product or the timely response of the repair. I have registered my complaints with Sears but that seems futile. I will never trust Sears Kenmore products again.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

The people are very uncooperative and unhelpful. I had a technician evaluate my refrigerator for repair a year ago, but because the repairs were so expensive, I put off the repairs. When I called to schedule the repair, they refused to bring the required parts, insisting that they needed to re-diagnosed the problem. I told them I was willing to pay for them to re-diagnose but requested they bring the parts so I did not have to take yet another day off work to have the repairs completed. They refused to do so. Repeated requests to speak to a supervisor were ignored and I was then told there was no one else to speak with. So disappointing that a company that historically had such a stellar reputation for service no longer can meet the needs of its customers. They have lost a customer permanently.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

Refrigerator purchased March 23, broke on July 19, 4th Sears refrigerator repair today, have been working with Sears since July 19, OK so the 3rd compressor is not working, talked with Sears and Kenmore and was told directly by Kenmore https://www.kenmore.com/ the worst thing you can do is order ONLINE http://www.sears.com/ since the repair process is different than if you bought in a store here in the UNITED STATES. Long story short - next appt. to look at the fridge is August 23, not sure what will happen, but this is amazing.

Do not order from Sears at all if you are smart online or in the store... AND if you see this repair company coming ** know that you are in big trouble, since the contract this third company repair service has with Sears obviously includes numerous repair calls to generate revenue for the repair company. Sad to say this company is local and out of Bridgeville PA. They come, replace parts, tell you the refrigerator is working and then leave but the refrigerator is not working. Takes up to two weeks to get them to come back and go through the same thing... Have an elderly husband in need of cold items.

Sears Appliance - Refrigerators Company Information