Sears Appliance - Refrigerators
1.87/5
Based on 180 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Sears Refrigerators

975 Sears Appliance - Refrigerators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 19, 2018

We purchased a 1500 dollar refrigerator from Sears. The delivery men had a truck that was too big to use the driveway so they put the unit in the back of my pickup truck and left. They were supposed to install it and remove the old one. Six calls to India and the unit is still in the back of my truck. They aren't coming back.

Original review: July 17, 2018

Mid-April I contacted Sears Home Services to repair my fridge due to the freezer no longer cooling. This is a high end KitchenAid fridge/freezer unit that was 4 years old. When I contacted them, it was still under the 4 year part/labor warranty for the main workings. The tech ordered a set of parts, compressor, coil, and other bits and pieces and scheduled a return appointment 3 weeks further out. I paid the $89 diagnostic fee and $250 for the parts. Upon the 2nd visit (a different technician), he looked at the parts said those were not the issue and ordered some computer board. I didn't get charged for this. The parts were shipped to me and he came and followup scheduled to install them some 2 or 3 weeks later.

3rd visit, installed parts. Freezer still not working. 4th visit came out to see why still not working and never showed up. 5th visit the tech finally came out and inspected stuff. There was an another visit somewhere in here. On the 6th visit, the tech basically gave up (no tech was the same one across all visits). He told me I had to contact Whirlpool to have this services as it is a sealed system. Basically, I paid $340 for them to do nothing. It actually cost me a mini-fridge as it finally crashed and lost all the food in fridge portion, and I had to take a total of 2-3 days off work.

I contacted SHS requesting a full refund. They would not do it and would only give me back the parts and labor. This wasn't about the money, but about them accepting accountability for a very poor experience and lack of appropriate skills to do the job. The $89 "diagnostic fee" I feel should have been refunded along with the $240 parts and labor, as they generally displayed total incompetence with this job. They refused and I told them to keep all the money and use it to keep themselves out of bankruptcy which is inevitable at this point anyway.

This was my last Sears experience I will ever have in this lifetime (that is a fully accurate fact). Whirlpool sent out a local certified service provider within 2 days. Ordered the parts which arrived in 2 days, came out next business day and fixed. Ironically, the parts that were needed were the same parts that SHS ordered on the very first visit.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 16, 2018

Sears messed up my order royally. Thank you so much for giving me a horrendous customer experience. I spend 1 hour with sales rep to pick the right fridge. There were 2 of the same but different sizes with the smaller one being the one I needed costing more for which I happily paid. I paid 1780.62 for a Kenmore Elite with grab and go that was 33 in wide but the rep processed the one that was 36 in wide. When I called the store I'm told I ordered the 36 in as if I'm supposed to know that item # 51869 represents the larger one. As a customer I identified the smaller, asked for it and paid the extra $400 that the smaller actually cost for efficiency.

Sears to compound doesnt take accountability and I have to go back to the store and start over as if I had made a mistake. I went to Sears believing the brand would deliver on its promise but what I received was a comedy of errors and who knows how many days of take out or delivery food services for my family. Thank you Sears for making an almost 2k fridge purchase turn into a disaster and financial hassle for my family. I will use every social media outlet I know to voice my displeasure. Now I have to have my family with no fridge, eating take out and delivery for who knows how long. I also work in sales management in retail and come across new homeowners constantly. I will make sure to tell them to NOT USE Sears for their appliances.

Original review: July 16, 2018

My refrigerator finally gave out mid-June, and since that's an appliance pretty important to have, I had to get a new one. I had seen Sears was offering some good deals, so I found one online and seeing that the product supposedly was available for pick-up the same day, I figured it'd be taken care of. The website specifically said I'd be able to get it the same day. I went ahead and purchased a nice looking Kenmore. What a mistake that proved to be. A bit later, I got an email saying the fridge would be available for pick-up JULY 11 and there was a number provided for the outlet I was told to pick it up at.

I was shocked, confused, and furious as to why the product said available to pick up, so I decided to call the number. The lady I talked to said she didn't have the fridge and wouldn't have it until that date. I told her waiting that long was not an option, so she told me I could come in and see what they had there since they had a lot of them at the outlet. Knowing I didn't have much time to wait, I opted to make the 60-mile trip. They indeed had a lot of fridges, BUT, all of them were sold straight off the floor, and weren't even wrapped up. I found one similar to the one I ordered, however, it had a scratch on the door, and I wasn't crazy about buying something that wasn't wrapped up. The lady looked at the other stores in town and nothing I liked and could afford was in stock.

I decided I'd go look at Best Buy. I told the salesman about it and he said that's basically the way it was there in town. I found a nice Whirlpool for about the same price and I would be able to pick it up two days later. That's what I did and got it over here on the day I was supposed to and going that night. Then came the worst part, and what I'm still dealing with a month after I was done with fridges; canceling the Sears order.

Less than 24 hours after getting my fridge going, I called in to get the Sears order canceled and refunded. I have no clue what country this company has their customer service in, or what kind of comics they've got working, but it was an absolute nightmare. I was transferred several times to different departments, all obviously foreign reps, each wanting to know why I canceled? I simply didn't have the time to wait and had I known I wouldn't be able to get the product the same day as I was told by their website I would, I'd have never ordered it. And I found something else.

After dealing with the transferring around, I supposedly had gotten it canceled and I wouldn't be charged anything. I got an email basically saying the order was being canceled, but since it was a store order, they had limited access and I'd need to call the store, which I did. What I never received was an email regarding a refund, but I did receive some regarding my experience buying. July 12, I got a call from Sears saying my fridge was in, and I'd be able to pick it up. Things got even better the same day when my bank statement showed I'd been charged for the fridge I canceled.

Furious, I called in again and was met with the same transferring around. I told the foreign lady that order was supposed to have been canceled but they went ahead and proceeded to keep it open after it had supposedly been canceled last month? She had no answers for that, but "would open a case regarding my refund", as she put it and I'd need to check my emails regarding it. Two days later, I got an email saying they'd need to complete additional research before they could process my inquiry and I'd need to wait 72 more hours, whatever the ** that means.

I canceled the order three days after I placed it, and since the item wouldn't even be in stock until July, the idiots had plenty of time for it to cancel as well as getting my refund. Doesn't appear Sears is capable of doing that, but considering their customer service apparently runs outside the US, it might not be too surprising. I'd advise those that may be duped into thinking their appliances are in stock to make sure they are for certain before proceeding. Had I not been tricked by their website, I'd have never gotten mixed up with their mess of customer service.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I bought the 3 door (Kenmore)—because the fridge door opens twice-once for stuff used all the time and then the larger fridge door. I love this fridge but the hose for the icemaker is bad. 2 weeks after I purchased the first tech came out. Tasted the ice and called his boss saying it taste like poison. They replaced the icemaker—stupid as I knew it was the hose, 4 techs later I went to sears. They called a number, put me on the phone and the guy said, "You have to have 5 call outs and we have to be told it can’t be fixed for us to change it." 5th call out done and tech called and told them not repairable. Two weeks later still fighting with them. Now told 8 calls before replacement so I told her I had enough and was going to call the news station. This was on Thursday—guess what—new fridge being delivered today—monday—fingers crossed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sears?

Original review: July 15, 2018

If I could give 0 stars I would. Refrigerator compressor and motor died after 5 days. Have to wait 3 weeks for part and then technician to come. Can't claim food loss because I didn't buy the protection agreement which seems silly that I have to spend more money to protect myself against their bad product. DO NOT PURCHASE THESE PRODUCTS. I have read several reviews with the exact same complaint. I don't think it is worth it to retain an attorney and spend more money on a losing battle. Sears is going down and now I fully understand why.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I called Sears Home Warranty on May 30th to have my Sub-Zero freezer serviced; it was not cooling properly. The Sears Home Warranty is a contract which I entered into and pay a monthly fee for, in exchange for service on my appliances. The first available tech was scheduled to come out days later, on June 1. At the time I called, I offered the make/model info, but was told by Sears Home Warranty that it was not necessary. On June 1, the tech called to say he was on the way and asked for the make/model info. The Sears tech indicated that Sears did not service Sub-Zero appliances. So, 2 days were wasted.

I called Sears Home Warranty AGAIN to schedule a Sears third party service contractor, and the 3rd party contractor could not diagnose for several days. The delays, miscommunications, lack of communications, red tape, extremely poor customer service and misrepresentations at Sears Home Warranty were non-stop. I finally got my freezer fixed on June 18th, almost 3 weeks after my original phone call. This is a freezer that needed service. In the middle of summer.

Because the customer service was so incredibly awful at Sears Home Warranty, I spoke with a few Sears managers to request my $100 service fee back (that I paid to the service contractor). As a matter of customer service, I felt strongly that it was the LEAST that the Sears Home Warranty could do. Predictably, my request was denied by Sears Home Warranty managers. The fact of the matter is that my freezer would NEVER HAVE BEEN SERVICED if I had waited for people at the Sears Home Warranty to do their jobs. I spent HOURS on the phone trying to obtain status, find out when the part would be ordered and when it would arrive, and trying to force Sears Home Warranty to actually communicate with their own 3rd party contractors. It was an absolute nightmare.

To date, and this is July 12th, the information at Sears Home Warranty is still inaccurate, since two claims were mistakenly opened by Sears Home Warranty, and the details on the claims are not accurate. I would definitely not recommend Sears Home Warranty to anyone. Simply said, I would much prefer to pay an absurd price to a contractor I trust than to spend hours on the phone with pathetic personnel at Sears Home Warranty and also be forced to spend 3 weeks without a working freezer because Sears Home Warranty personnel could not do their jobs adequately!

Original review: July 12, 2018

Refrigerator purchased 10/2012 - Kenmore Elite French Door Counter Depth, had problems with fan motor in freezer part, icing up. Finally, that was replaced. Now the compressor and condenser needs to be replaced. Been out since June 21, 2018. First appointment made a week after I called, parts had to be ordered, another week as parts are mailed to your house. You are in charge of receiving the parts, then you are responsible to confirm if the correct parts were shipped. Appt set a week out, all parts were not received, so appt cancelled and then you wait another week for another appt.

Oh and by the way, you pay for a service call even though your appliance is under warranty. We are now rescheduled for next week. So will be without a working fridge for right at a month. If it wasn’t under warranty, I would buy a new fridge even though this was is relatively new. AND I DEFINITELY would not buy another appliance from Sears. They have also changed their warranty on the newer appliances. So before you buy, make sure you read the warranty. A FOOTNOTE: we have been in our home we built since 1996, the refrigerator we put in our house in 1996 is in our garage, still running and never had a repair.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I am going to start off this review with that I have been a Sears Home/Appliance Warranty holder for years and have never had a problem with their service until recently. I gave 1 star to the inability to give 0 stars. This is by far the worst customer service/technician repair service experience I have ever had! On May 16th 2018 I placed an appointment for a repair technician to come check out a refrigerator that was not cooling. An appointment was set for the following day May 17th between the hours of 8am and 12 noon. On the day of the scheduled appointment we received a call at 12 noon stating the technician had called out and would have to reschedule. The earliest they could get us in was May 24th, that is an added week of no type of refrigeration.

May 24th comes and it is determined that there are 4 parts that need to be ordered. We were told that it would take no more than 3-5 business days to receive these parts and they would be delivered straight to us. June 5th the first package was delivered. A call was placed to see if all parts had been delivered and when we should set up for someone to come install the parts. Was told that 2 parts are still en route. Delivery date was stated to be June 11th so appointment was set for June 13th to have installation complete. June 11th came around and we only had 3 of 4 parts delivered. A phone call was placed and was told last part will be there on the 13th, so I requested an appointment for the 13th and was told there was no availability for that day.

A tentative date was scheduled for June 20th. I got on the website to request a schedule change and was able to get an appointment on the 14th which was then cancelled due to the technician calling out again. Was able to reschedule for the 18th of June between the hours of 2pm- 6pm. The technician showed up almost an hour late and was in the home until almost 9pm, with it being deemed unrepairable. A call from Sears came in June 19th that the appliance was deemed unrepairable and was awaiting authorization to replace item. Call placed on June 22nd to find out status of replacement fridge and was told I could either be sent a check for $1500 or Sears would order a new fridge of the same classification of the one that is currently in the home.

Looked up the fridge they would be ordering and decided it was a better deal to have them order the replacement as I could not get the same classification of fridge that was already in the home for the amount of the check. So on June 22nd was told new fridge has been ordered and will be delivered in 7-10 days. July 3rd a call was placed to check on status of delivery of new appliance. Was told appliance was not ordered until June 28th. After a 2 hour phone call and being transferred multiple times and trying to speak to a supervisor and being hung up on we finally were told that appliance would be delivered on July 6th.

July 6th phone call was placed to verify delivery and to let Sears know I had not heard from delivery company as of yet. After 4 hours on the phone and being transferred 22 times I finally was able to get information about the delivery of my fridge. The fridge was finally delivered on July 10th. The customer service that we received was beyond the worst I have ever encountered. I found out that most of Sears call centers are located out of the United States and those individuals are the least luckily to be willing to offer any type of help or information at all. When you would ask to speak to a supervisor I was told “there are no supervisors available,” or just get hung up on.

If it was not for A.J. who was located in Protection Sale out of California and Frankie out of Operations located out of Greenville, S.C. who knows when we would have gotten any information. After this experience I would encourage individuals not to get caught up in paying for the Sears Appliance Warranty. I have since cancelled my warranty with them and will take the risk and would much rather pay an individual or small company to handle my business from now on.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Sears has the worst customer service you can ever imagine, bought my appliances last year and from then it has been hell. My fridge started issues immediately after 3 months of purchase, since then up to date my house has been a trade show for Sears tech trying to come to fix the fridge. I must say at least 3 times every month from the same company. Complained but all you get is cycles, parts been ordered that take a minimum of a month while they don’t care about your food. Finally the tech said the fridge is unrepairable but Sears are still insisting it can be repaired. Am just sick and tired of all this circles, my option are to involve an attorney and make a complain thru the state bureau and hopefully someone will hear me out.

Original review: July 10, 2018

Unprofessional and unacceptable service from Sears. You never reach a Sears employee only the call centers where the responses are scripted. No resolution, no repair and a refrigerator that has not been working for 3 weeks and at the time of the service call it was confirmed that it is still under warranty for a couple of days yet.

After speaking with call center rep. I was informed that parts would be shipped to my house and they would move repair to July 11. Parts received Saturday 7/7/18. Called 7/9/18 to confirm repair date of 7/11/18 and was informed that it was only a possibility that actual repair will now be on Tuesday 7/17/18. Initial call was on June 26/27. Is this an acceptable timeframe for a refrigerator/freezer repair? Try going without your refrigerator/freezer for fifteen days... How is that working for you? Not working well for me. How pathetic Sears business practices have become. Will never shop or support Sears again; certainly not worth the frustration. Eddie Lampert has run the company into the ground... Good job Eddie. Goodbye Sears! Time to close your doors.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Our Sears Refrigerator Freezer went out and now the refrigerator as well last night. I called Sears extended warranty and told them that all of my food is running. They said that the closest appointment would be in 20 days. I called later to speak with a supervisor and she said the same thing. Do they expect me to not have refrigerated or frozen food for 20 days. This puts a bad taste in my mouth for Sears in general. I have always loved Sears. This very sad for them. Sears I have lost respect for you. Disappointed!!!

Original review: July 6, 2018

35 years of nothing but Kenmore appliances, bought one on Black Friday 2017, started having issues. June 14, two service calls from their "qualified" repair outfit, still the same. 3rd appt scheduled, best they could do was 8 am-4 pm slot, I waited all day, nothing... lost a day's pay and they want to give me $30!!! SEARS IS DEAD! KENMORE IS SOLD AND GONE! BUY OTHER BRANDS!

Original review: July 5, 2018

We bought this model 895-73167.610 (Kenmore Elite Refrigerator - newer black stainless in July, 2016) and haven't had anything but trouble with it since. Started with water leaking from the ice-maker for which the company (Sears) sent two different repairmen to work on the issue but was never able to fix the issue. The control board in the back of the unit failed and lots of food spoiled overnight when the compressor stopped. They replaced the board under warranty but the tech said the compressor in many units had failed. Suggested we get a pricey out of factory warranty for the future. I will never buy a Sears product again and also this particular refrigerator is made by LG so I would think LG is not a reliable brand?

Original review: July 3, 2018

We bought a Kenmore (LG) Refrigerator in July 2015. Today, the compressor is dead. After being given the runaround on the phone for over two hours by international customer service agents whose volume faded out repeatedly, I was told that nothing on the refrigerator is under warranty. I was also told by a repairman (not from SEARS) that it would cost $800 to replace, and often the replacement compressors would go out within a year. I now have a $1600 metal box in my house that is, quite frankly, a piece of crap. My choices are to spend $800 on a crap shoot that it might work, or go buy a new refrigerator. Over the years, I have purchased over a dozen major appliances from SEARS. This refrigerator is my last one. Ever. The quality and customer service aren't worth the risk.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I submitted a claim for a broken refrigerator back in May 2018. A technician came out to look at my refrigerator diagnosed the problem and ordered parts to be delivered to my house to be used by a technician to repair it. Since submitting my claim I have made several attempts to have my refrigerator repaired. I took off of work two times to be available during my window of repair and both times the technician did not come to fix my refrigerator. The first day the technician did not come because he called out sick and apparently SEARS had no one to cover for him.

The second time the technician did not come he stated that the work that needed to be done required two people and over an hour. Remind you he called me hours after my window to let me know that and was going to call the office to see what was going on then call me back but he never called me back or showed up. It was probably 8pm when it was all said and done.

The third appointment that I had scheduled was on a Saturday and was hard to get because I was told no one does warranty repairs on Saturday. I stressed to them and had to call several times that SEARS had already wasted my time making me take off of work during the week twice and finally I was able to get an appointment. The technician for this appointment did not come because the job required two people. After the second no show I made the scheduler aware that the job required two people and more than an hour and I was told that it was documented and that there shouldn't be a problem.

Finally I make another Saturday appointment which was June 30th and the two technicians show up to repair my refrigerator. When they leave the refrigerator is working the rest of Saturday and all day Sunday. This morning I go into my refrigerator and it is no longer working. It has been over a month and I have not had a working refrigerator. The only thing SEARS offered me was a mini refrigerator and $30. When I told the guy that I spoke with on the phone that I do not want a mini refrigerator he offered me $50 instead because another person I spoke with offered me $30. Working with this company has been extremely frustrating to say the least. There is no reason why a paying customer should have to go over a month without a working refrigerator. At this point SEARS needs to deliver a brand new fridge to my house. I am planning to discontinue my warranty with this company. They are horrible.

Original review: June 28, 2018

We purchased a Kenmore Elite Refrigerator Model 795 74025411 in April 2016 from Sears $2700. On Memorial Day May 28, 2018 it quit cooling. We called Sears Repair, they said they'd have someone out by June 2. The guy came out, said, the compressor was bad, had to order one, part was under warranty, but charged us $340 for labor, part would be in on June 13th, compressor came in, 2 totally different guys came out on June 14th, put in the new compressor, left and didn't bother to stay to see if it was cooling, which it wasn't.

We call on June 15th to get someone to come back out, they said they'd send someone on June 26th, WHAT??? June 26th, oh heck no!!! That isn't good enough! So we call the repair people directly A&E Services and speak with a supervisor, after being on the phone for over an hour they get a guy out on June 18th. What does he say? Well, this compressor is bad also, well DUH!! So, he leaves, said he'd do his best to expedite the shipment on another one. So, here it is, June 28th (ONE MONTH LATER) and still NOOOOOOOO fridge! So we call to check on the part, it's on Backorder and they have no idea when it may be in. Are you freaking kidding me????

We've called Sears Executive Customer Service (Ed Lambert's office) to escalate a complaint on June 15th, we had to leave a message, no one has returned our call. Imagine that! We've called Sears, Kenmore and A&E Services and all calls seem to go to the same area, with people that can speak limited English. We're at our wit's end, we have a 4 yr. old in the house and it's been horrible without a refrigerator and seems no one cares to help. Their customer service has been a nightmare and the worst experience we've ever had. I would be interested if there is a class action lawsuit and who is representing us. Looks liked we are going to be forced to bite the bullet and just go buy a new fridge. You can bet it won't be a Kenmore and I will never ever buy anything from Sears again. Please feel free to pass the word on our experience!

Original review: June 27, 2018

Our $3,000 Kenmore Elite refrigerator is LESS THAN 4 year old and it stopped cooling. We called Sears Service and they could not give us an appointment for 12 days. The serviceman came out to diagnose the issue and returned to his store to order a part. The technician called about 30 minutes later and said he would not be back for 15 more days because he is waiting on a part! 27 days (assuming the serviceman actually fixes it) to repair a staple brand of Sears. The serviceman was on time and courteous - no complaints. I recommend avoiding Kenmore products and using Sears Appliance Repair services.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Here I am again. I’ve written a review on this same basic subject in the past... It is about my refrigerator again. I have a Kenmore Elite- VERY expensive. I’ve had many problems, both small and large. Most recently, the freezer failed. As always, my Master Warranty- also VERY expensive- was supposed to help me, which it eventually did. Herein lies the problem. I called on Tuesday, was told I must wait till the following Friday (that’s nine days). Naturally, there was a mess, spoilage and loss. Very inconvenient, since it’s summer. No ice, no fruits, vegetables or other summer foods. Friday I’m told I will need parts. They’re ordered and I have an appointment scheduled for the following Friday (that’s two weeks, two days.).

The parts arrive, I call to let them know so they cannot say they didn’t know. Thursday I get a message that I’ve been rescheduled for the FOLLOWING Friday. No explanation. I called, I emailed, I argued and fussed. No results. I was made to wait three weeks and two days for my appliance to be repaired. I was inconvenienced personally, I was embarrassed as well, because I had out of town company and had an awkward time serving them without refrigerated items. The warranty is costly. I should have received timely service. I don’t think that’s too much to ask. Nobody has apologized. Nobody seems to think change is in order. If you treat your customers badly, you won’t have any.

Original review: June 26, 2018

January 25 we called Sears out to repair our 3 year old LG refrigerator that quit cooling. They sent out a service man that said it needed a new condenser. We waited several weeks for the part to be delivered. We were told there were none available. When we got the part a repairman came out and said it was defective. A new part was ordered. A new service guy came. We were told it had a leak. A new part was ordered. A new guy came out. He said our problem was not the condenser but it was something else.

Today is June 26th. I still have not gotten a repair yet. There have been many attempts and nothing. I and my husband have taken off half days at work at least 9 times to wait on repairmen. We have rearranged our schedules and there have been 2 times that a service person never showed. We in the meanwhile have had to purchase a new fridge. Every service person without fail said our situation was ridiculous and that the LG fridge was a piece of junk! We at this point don't know what to do. We need help in resolving this issue. Any suggestions?

Original review: June 24, 2018

It has been over 6 weeks since Sears was first contacted to repair my refrigerator. Their first technician didn't show up on the date and time that they had agreed to. When he did show up he incorrectly diagnose the problem with my refrigerator. They have constantly gotten information incorrect. They have continued to miss appointments. 6 weeks later they still have not repaired my refrigerator. And they really just don't give a damn.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I purchased this Kenmore Elite Refrigerator 18 months ago and the ice maker started to leak. A repair person discovered that the problem was a leaky hose in the door and that the door would need to be replaced. This would be a repair that would cost well over $1000. I called many Sears customer service numbers and was astounded at the poor quality of their response. Each person let me know that the warranty was up and that they could only send out a repair person for a $90 service charge to confirm the problem. They would not do anything to fix or replace. NEVER buy Kenmore again. IT is not surprising that Sears is going out of business.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I purchase a refrigerator on May 10th to be delivered a week later. The same day the delivery was delayed until June 22. On the 19th I was called and told delivery was on schedule and I would be notified the evening prior of a 2 hour period that they would be arriving. Then the following day I was called and notified the delivery was delayed until July 13th. My wife had taken the week in June off to be home for the scheduled delivery. I contacted them and just got the run around. They said they could reorder it but had no idea when it may be delivered. Possibly after the already 2 month delay of July 13th. Of course they have been paid for the refrigerator since May 10th. I have bought numerous items over the years from Sears over the years but this will be my last, if it ever gets delivered!!!

Original review: June 20, 2018

On July 29th 2014 my wife Suzanne ** and I purchased a Samsung refrigerator (RF32FMQDBSR/AA) from the Sears retail store located in Clay NY. The refrigerator was $2999.00 which was a bit more than we wanted to spend. We had just recently moved into our newer house and decided to splurge on one of the first purchases for the house. The salesperson, Jon ** spoke very highly of this model and was very persistent in regards to the Sears Warranty which cost an additional $799.99. ** repeatedly stated this was the best extended service agreement in the business and that the plan would ease our minds with full coverage in case of any unforeseen problems with the refrigerator. ** even handed us a printed advertisement of the extended service agreement, which boasted, "Best Protection Coverage in the Industry... Guaranteed". The flyer also boasted twice that the plan had, "100% Product Replacement Guarantee".

Well my wife and I bought into the sales pitch and made the rather large purchase from **. Well after delivery on the 21st of July 2014 the problems started. First the ice maker stopped working correctly. We called. Got service and the ice maker was replaced, still not working 100 percent correctly. Then the refrigerator stopped cooling. The coldest the refrigerator would go was 50 degrees. Service once again and after several service calls finally it was fixed. Then the door alarm stopped working, and a strong plastic smell coming from the refrigerator. Several more service calls and visits and those problems were fixed.

Now the refrigerator will not cool again and the coldest the refrigerator will go is 46. Sears is coming back this Friday to replace the compressor in attempts to fix the refrigerator one again. I believe the, "100% Replacement Guarantee" of the, "Best Protection Coverage in the Industry" should have kicked in by now. It was obviously a overrated sales pitch to give us peace of mind. So far, 8 service calls/over 2 months without fridge.

Original review: June 18, 2018

The sad saga of a Kenmore Elite refrigerator. It went down on March 22. Sears couldn’t schedule a service technician for more than three weeks, so a local repair service came out immediately and diagnosed the problem as a bad main electronic control board. The board was ordered, but it was several weeks before it arrived from South Korea. After the board was replaced, however, the refrigerator was still not functional. We were told that the compressor was probably bad. It was under warranty, however (the refrigerator was only 2.5 years old), so the local appliance repair company told us they couldn’t do warranty work unless Sears authorized it. But Sears refused to authorize them to do the repair work. So we had Sears send a tech to diagnose the problem. However, Sears has a 2-3 week waiting list for repairs.

So the tech finally came May 15 and agreed that the compressor was probably at fault. He ordered a new compressor, dryer, and condenser and scheduled us for a June 7 visit. The last of the parts only arrived on June 5. He came on Thursday, June 7, and replaced the compressor, dryer, and condenser. Afterwards, we watched the interior temperature of the freezer compartment, and by bedtime it was down to 3 degrees. Finally, it seemed to be working! But wait, not so fast.

The next morning the freezer was up to 15 degrees (should have been 0) and the refrigerator was at 44 degrees (should have been 37). The technician had told us it was possible there was a refrigerant leak, and we should call him and update him on his repairs. We did, and he said to go ahead and make a service appointment for him to come and figure out what was wrong. Well, as I said, the refrigerator went down on March 22. On Monday morning, June 11, we called Sears and begged them to let a repairman come asap because we had been so long without a refrigerator.

So I then got an email from Sears telling us that they set a service appointment for JULY 3. Unbelievable! Figure out how long it is from March 22 until July 3! More than three months. The company knows the repair history of this refrigerator, but they can’t schedule a repair to finally try to fix the refrigerator for almost another month? The tech told us that if it had a refrigerant leak, he had an idea where it might be and it would take him only one hour to fix it. I know that Sears has a shortage of service technicians, but they are apparently unable to squeeze in a single hour to fix this disaster of a Kenmore product. UPDATE: we left a complaint on the Kenmore FB page and got a call from someone at Kenmore. They agreed that it was ridiculous to have to wait another month and as of June 11, called and gave us a June 13 appointment. We were hopeful that the refrigerator would FINALLY be repaired.

Well, we got an unexpected call from the Sears technician on June 12 saying his work order was dated for June 13, but we were for some reason listed on his schedule for that day. So he came and replaced the evaporator in the main part of the refrigerator. Unfortunately, it was not fixed. In fact, it didn’t even get as cold as it did after the compressor and condenser were replaced.

So then, we got an email from Sears saying that we had a repair scheduled for June 13. We called to see whether it was a mistake, as the technician had just come on June 12, but they said we did have another appointment. So, on June 13, we were told the technician would come around noon. Around 3 pm we called Sears because no one had shown up. They checked, and then the technician called and said he had gotten hung up and wouldn’t be able to come until after 5 pm.

So, finally the technician arrives just before 6 pm on June 13. He reviews the notes from the previous service calls, and checks over the previous tech’s work and says it looks good. But then he says, “We have found that there is a 3-way valve penetration in the rear of the refrigerator that is often the problem.” He takes out a probe that can sniff Freon, sticks it up next to the piece of grey foam where the 3-way valve penetrates the cabinet, and the Freon sniffer starts beeping. He says “yep, that’s where the leak is, but it can’t be fixed.” He says to fix it, you’d need to cut out a big piece of the metal back of the refrigerator, and he’s not sure you could fix it even then, because there is lots of plastic and insulation in there, but it would make a big mess out of the refrigerator. His advice is to scrap the refrigerator and buy another one. So this Kenmore Elite refrigerator is truly an expensive lemon.

So we contacted Sears repair service again and asked them about the fact that the refrigerator can’t be repaired. She read the tech’s notes and said, “He didn’t say it couldn’t be repaired; he only advised you to buy a new unit.” “What? Isn’t it implied in what he wrote that it couldn’t be fixed?” She says no, that he actually needs to write down specifically that it cannot be fixed, so she schedules yet another service call for June 27 with “their most experienced technician” who will determine whether it truly cannot be fixed. Then we decide what to do. Our nightmare scenario sounds a lot like many others here, and I wrote this before reading all of these other awful stories about Sears and Kenmore.

If you want to see how many problems folks have with Sears and their refrigerators, have a look at these two sites: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/sears_refrig.html, **. A word to the wise: do not buy a Kenmore or LG refrigerator. If something goes wrong, you will be months getting it fixed, if ever. Consumer Reports recommends these refrigerators, but I think their testing must be old because these are definitely “do not buy” appliances.

Updated on 07/06/2018: Bought a Kenmore Elite refrigerator on September 14, 2015. It quit working on March 22, 2018. We have had five service calls, and three chats with Sears Home Services. The last technician came on July 2, but he said he didn't know what else to try. When we ask for a solution, all they do is give us another service appointment for 3-4 weeks out. There is no one at Sears with the authority to say, "Get this fixed now. This is an embarrassment." The last time I had a chat with them they said they escalated our issue to the "highest level." I don't know what that means because nothing really happened. We want them to tell us that it can't be fixed, but they keep sending more technicians, who basically say they don't know what else to try. But they won't write in their notes that it cannot be fixed, and I think Sears has told them not to do that. It is a real runaround.

We have another service appointment for July 20 but I think we will have to just junk this refrigerator; we have no more patience with Sears, and they won't be able to fix it even on July 20, and when they can't, they will only give us another service appointment for August sometime. They are an awful company to deal with. I used to think they were a good company, but not anymore.

Original review: June 17, 2018

Kenmore Elite refrigerator Model #795.74029.411. Spent $2955. Three times in three years the motherboard has died. The third time we are 1 1/2 months out of warranty so it will cost us around $900 to fix. When I called they offered to extend my warranty of which I would have to pay an $80 service charge, anything over $500 plus $50 a month for the next year for the warranty. In all it would cost us $1100 to fix it. Then, it could happen again next year. We decided to scrape it and never buy from Sears again. We’re going with a better brand. Don’t buy this fridge. Big mistake!

Original review: June 16, 2018

I had purchased a new Kenmore refrigerator online through Sears.com back on March 17, 2018. Only had it less than 3 months. My new fridge no longer works, food thawed out, and the service group had the nerve to tell me they can't come over until July 6th to look at it. First they have to check it out and determine if they can replace it. I have 10 months left of warranty and how will I keep my food cold while I wait until service date. If I had known I would of purchased from Lowe's or Home Depot. No more Kenmore appliances for me. (Don't tell me I have to wait until July 6th 2018 to even have it looked at and second of all tell me if it is not fixable I still can't get a replacement.) Stay away from this company if you are thinking about purchasing an appliance.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Bought a refrigerator 5 months ago ($2800) which I canceled two hours after purchasing. They never delivered the refrigerator, said they would issue a refund check which never came. You are not allowed to speak to a manager or corporate but only the manager of the appliance dept. who repeatedly says, "I will look into it," and nothing has happened.

Original review: June 14, 2018

In January of 2017, we purchased a brand new Samsung quad refrigerator with extended Sears warranty. Since March 2018, we have had a technician come out 8 times to repair and inspect the ice maker, which is freezing up and also has frost around the outer seal and is leaking out of the ice dispenser. Visit 1: First tech informed us our 14 month old refrigerator needed 4 new parts. Ordered brand new ice maker, door flap, clips, and auger motor.

In 2 days, received 5 automated phone calls from Sears asking me to confirm receipt of the parts. I confirmed receipt of the parts 3 times. The fourth time, I called to complain that I was still getting automated calls. The customer service rep (from India) told me to just ignore them, as it was automated and there was nothing he could do. He confirmed my appointment. I checked the online system, which also confirmed my appointment. Fast forward to the day of my appointment. No one showed up. With 15 minutes left in my repair window, I called Sears. They said no one was scheduled to come because I did not confirm receipt of the parts. I had to reschedule, this time pushing out my appointment by a week!

Visit 2: A different tech installed parts. 1 month later, Ice machine iced up again. Ice cubes were now sticking together. Visit 3: Second tech returned, tried to get replacement refrigerator. He was informed by Samsung the clips were not installed and this was required before a replacement could be issued. Ordered clips. He said if I had the issue again, I would get a replacement refrigerator. Visit 4: First tech returned and installed clips. He said we didn't qualify for a replacement as the clips had not been installed. 1 WEEK later, ice machine is iced up again and ice cubes sticking together. Call to warranty claim said that only 2 "qualifying" repairs were made and so I did not qualify for a replacement.

Visit 5: Second tech returned. Informed by Samsung that clips were installed "incorrectly" - they should have been at a 90 degree angle and they were installed at 89 degrees. Clips are in the back of the refrigerator. He spent much of the time on the phone with his superiors asking questions about how to perform the repair. Also he did not have the proper tools to perform the repair and was asking to borrow my tools.

Also informed by Samsung that the filler tube was sticking out too far into the refrigerator (also in back)- it should be sticking out 1/16" max, and the "jagged edge" was causing the problem. It was manufactured this way, and I have no idea what that has to do with the outside seal icing up. Tech had to slide out refrigerator and pull the tube further out to correct the issue. He first tried to cut it with scissors he asked to borrow from me. The tech was shaking his head the whole time. You really can't make this up. It's clear they KNOW there is an issue and want to do as much as possible to avoid it costing them money.

Visit 6: Third tech arrived and stated that since the parts had not all been replaced at the same time, that was likely the reason the ice maker was still icing up. He ordered all of the same parts again and scheduled a follow up to replace them. I requested that he return as I was not confident in the work of the first two techs.

Visit 7: Third tech replaced all parts again. 6/12/18: Noticed refrigerator leaking again from ice maker. Inspected refrigerator and noticed the gap between the ice maker tray seal and the ice maker chassis was visibly larger than the previous 2 ice maker trays. Also noticed the date on the ice maker was 06/2016 and the date from the previous ice maker was 02/2018. There was once again ice forming around the seal. Called Sears warranty to initiate a replacement request. Was told I did not qualify for a replacement, as only 3 qualifying repairs had been made. In order to qualify, another visit had to be made where the tech performed a "repair order of a part".

I also asked her how the replacement process worked. She said we would get a "credit on our account" to purchase a new refrigerator comparable to the one we currently have. I asked her if I purchased a less expensive model what would happen to the balance. She said that would be our choice and that the remaining balance would "disappear" as it's not really cash. It has no value. One week later, I noticed ice forming around the ice maker seal again, and it was leaking.

Visit 8: Fourth tech arrived and inspected refrigerator. He said it all looked normal, although there was ice starting to form around the seal again and under the ice maker. It had melted by the time he arrived. In addition, the brand new ice tray has developed a "wobble", but he didn't seem concerned by this. As for the leaking, he said that it was normal for water to "drip" into the drip pan, that's what they make drip pans for.

We paid 2597.40 plus 499.99 for the extended warranty. For 8 visits at $350 a piece, Sears could have replaced my refrigerator with an upgrade (that's $2800). But they haven't. I have spent 32 hours on 8 visits with a 4 hour repair window, plus 1.5 because the tech arrived 1.5 hours late. Plus at least 5 hours on the phone or on chat with Sears home services. The Sears extended warranty is not worth it. Save your money and buy from someone else.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Bought this refrigerator less than 15 months ago. Woke up this morning to a hot refrigerator. Service Tech comes out and says the compressor is shot. $500 to fix. The problem is Sears went from Whirlpool for its Kenmore brand to LG. Apparently LG is junk. DO NOT BUY SEARS KENMORE appliances!!! You will regret it!!!

Sears Appliance - Refrigerators Company Information