Whirlpool Refrigerators

Compare Refrigerators

Research top Refrigerators recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We just remodeled our kitchen and bought a Whirlpool kitchen suite in May of 2016. The refrigerator is absolutely terrible. I have had a repairman come out and fix the same repair/problem 5 times, a sheet of ice forms beneath the vegetable drawer (We have only owned the refrigerator for 5 months). Each time the repair person has come out it costs me a day of work due to having to wait all day for the repair service that Whirlpool hires out, "we'll be there between 9am and 4pm". This morning I decided to check to see if the sheet of ice is forming again, it is. So I call Whirlpool again.

Again, I call Whirlpool and ask if I can just get a new unit; 5 repairs in 5 months on a brand new refrigerator. The reply I get from Whirlpool is always "we'll send someone out to fix it. The unit has to be deemed irreparable or a part has to be replaced multiple times." No parts are being replaced... no one knows how to fix it. I don't understand why a large company like Whirlpool would want people to write bad reviews for their products and customer service. I'm extremely irritated with how I have been treated. I just want a refrigerator that works!! DO NOT BUY A WHIRLPOOL REFRIGERATOR!!

I purchased all the appliances for my home from the Sears store in Steamboat Springs, Colorado November 17, 2016. The refrigerator stopped freezing a few days ago. I looked at my manual & there is a 1 year limited warranty. I had a repairman come out & he told me there is a leak in the "sealed system" for the freezer. He doesn't do that type of work- it is very unusual & requires a special certification. The repair would be 500 - 1000 dollars to fix. He couldn't believe my fridge was less than 2 years of lad & is having this problem. Factory defect.

Bought a whirlpool refrigerator in 2015, have had both handles replaced 3 times, the bottom pieces of the handles are made of plastic and they crack. We had to take them to a metal fabricator and have them replaced with metal to keep them from breaking. Lowe's and whirlpool know of this problem and they do nothing about it. Will not buy another whirlpool product. Very dissatisfied.

We moved to a new house Nov. of 2012 and I went to Lowe's to buy a new refrigerator. The last refrigerator we bought was a Maytag. It was a LEMON and probably had every part replaced because we had the warranty. At Lowe's I thought the Whirlpool Refrigerator would be a good choice. We didn't purchase the warranty, big mistake. After only 4 YEARS, the refrigerator is DEAD, not in working order and would too expensive to fix says our reliable repair serviceman.

We have had this Refrigerator for 3 years in December of 2016. To date, we have had to call a repairman (in February 2016) to replace a circuit board on the back of the refrigerator. That took 4 days, as the company sent the repairman the wrong parts. After that $300 repair, which we got at a discount because, the repairman felt bad that the company actually sent the wrong part. Since then we have taken it apart ourselves for several reasons: The freezer compartment filled up with a layer of ice and started to melt all over the floor, shutting the refrigerator off, (which then forced us to borrow coolers to store the food) until it could be repaired. The drain tube was completely blocked and in order to fix this problem, the tube had to be taken out and modified, according to the Internet videos we then watched. In order to make all of these repairs, the door, the shelves and baskets have to be removed, which is definitely not an easy thing to do at all.

There are so many 'hidden screws and tabs' that must be manipulated with tools and by hand to remove the doors, shelves and trays just to get where you need to be in order to make these repairs. With each repair, the ice maker and water dispenser started having problems, because, each time the refrigerator has to be shut down, it takes hours for it to 're-set' itself. Luckily my husband had the tools necessary, with videos on the Internet to assist us. However, once the first problem started, it was a snowball effect, literally. ALL of these problems have been identified by the manufacturer, however, nothing has been done. VERY POOR DESIGN!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

IPod the Gold Series from Whirlpool appliances including the French door with the freezer on the bottom the induction still two ovens and glass top the microwave in the dishwasher does it cost me about $8,900 dubstep problem with it is after two-and-a-half years of using it the freezer stopped working and coming to find out that not only mine but three other ones in my account have the same problem. The sealed system for the freezer had a leak in it. I lost the freezer traffic to Whirlpool. First time around they said, "No problem we'll take care of the part." To take care of Labor. I waited a month. Nothing happened. I called them back. They said I needed to do something else so I waited for it to happen. Nothing happened. Now I call back 8 weeks later without a refrigerator my house come to find out they told me they're not doing nothing.

Well four weeks later now I'm sitting with the stove which cost me quite a bit of money like $2,000 for the induction stove. Now it's burned out the computer components. Control panels are both out. It will cost $800 to repair it. Now we'll pull. Said they will also pay for parts for that but not for the labor so now I'm stuck without a refrigerator and I don't have a stove in my house and they're saying it's okay that these very expensive piece of equipment that I bought and it's okay for them to only last 2 years. Never had a Whirlpool last me less than 10. I think there's something wrong with this picture.

I purchase two Whirlpool Refrigerators serial # wrs950siam from Western Appliance San Jose Ca Dec - 2013 and now one of them the compressor was leaking and I called the Whirlpool company. They said only warranty for one year. In the future I do not want purchase any of them make by Whirlpool.

I have called Whirlpool six times to request a replacement for a broken deli drawer in my refrigerator. I was told to throw everything away from the unit, since the whole assembly would come complete in the mail. First call: Ordered the replacement: what came was a glass shelf without a drawer or gliders and hardware. Second call: requested the drawer and remaining parts. Third call: only received the plastic drawer without any means of installing it. Fourth call: received only one side glider, again without hardware to install. Fifth call: requested a supervisor (Kimberly) who took the order for the remaining glider and all hardware. Received second glider and (1) screw when two are needed.

Sixth call: asked rep Brigitte for a supervisor and was not connected. Given the run around and told that the rep spoke with a supervisor for me and would send out a repairman to assemble the unit. I just need the missing screw. I have spent a lot of time on the phone trying to get what I need from Whirlpool and do not have time to wait for a service repairman to come out. I just cannot fathom how that many calls - with me being patient and calm - cannot produce the required items. Horrible.

Whirpool Part #WPW10564292 refrigerator handle - I am a property manager who has 264 units. We have only been open for 1.5 years and have had to replace 30-40 door handles because they crack at the top where screws are. We tried calling Whirlpool Customer Service because obviously this is a defect and she said they looked in the system and didn't see any recall or issues. We also asked for a representative from Whirlpool to stop out so we could show them the issues and she said "we have nobody in the area". We have 9 service requests outstanding that need a new refrigerator handle.

On July 19th, we ordered 3 handles from our distributor and we were told they're on back order until September 6th. When I called at the end of August to make sure we were on schedule with delivery, I was informed they are now on back order until November 5th. I just called our part rep. this morning and now they said the current part number does not exists and gave me the new part # W11026870, and they are on back order until mid or end of November. I am not going to keep quiet about this issue. We have paid $79.89 per handle on a refrigerator that is only a 1 to 2 years old appliance. I am requesting a returned call or email on what you are going to be able to do for us. This is not right or fair to a company that spent a large amount of money to have your appliances in 264 units.

I bought a Whirlpool refrigerator (dbl dr) from Home Depot and received it on August 4th. When I went to clean it I found that blood had spilled from a roast and had accumulated all around the inside of the plastic shelf seal. It was impossible to clean. Water just ran inside the seal and diluted the blood. Then, it leaked all over my kitchen. I had a serviceman here for another problem, sent by Whirlpool. He said he'd try to get them to replace the shelf. Never heard from him again.

I called Whirlpool today. Was told I could buy another shelf. Otherwise, they didn't care. Said it wasn't a functional problem. This is a definite health hazard. Whirlpool used to be wonderful. What happened? I have a dryer, washer, and water tank about to need replacing. Whirlpool won't see a dime from me. (Home Depot, either.) This has become a very bad company. I've contacted the NY Dist. Atty's office. Meanwhile, I have a fridge with a major shelf missing for the holidays and for the foreseeable future.

Purchased model WRT311FZDMOO refrigerator on Aug. 6. Took 3 weeks for delivery. All 3 door bins for this refrigerator have cracked after less than 2 months. Called customer service. They say it's wear and tear. And ask how many would I like to purchase. Looked online. Cost is 30.00 to 32.00 per bin. Can't put milk in the door bins. The cracks puncture the container. Poor quality plastic.

I have a double door refrigerator with a bottom freezer. It is slightly over 2 years old and has been in use for only 7 months of that time. We just got off the phone with Whirlpool service. They will cover the cost of the control panel and defrost control. The other one I paid to replace was only one month old and it failed again. In the time between that I had to have an Icing kit put in as the Ice maker was causing ice to form inside the back wall of the refrigerator. My first call to Whirlpool was very unsatisfactory. I ended up paying for the part and the service call.

The second call was about the ice-maker and they were aware of the problem and sent me a repair kit for the problem. I still had to pay for repair service. So far I have paid $561.62 for their defective parts and service calls. This time my wife called (while I was taking my frozen foods to my neighbors freezer for the second time) and went through 3 people before being told the part was still under warranty and they will send a new one. When we pushed for proper service we got it. We should never have had to go through all this. We also lost over $300.00 of frozen foods. Never buy a Whirlpool refrigerator!!!

Purchased extended plan December 2012. Thank the Lord I did. I have had years of service for the same repairs over and over. Would of cost more than the original 2488 I spent. Whirlpool your customer service is deplorable!!! Your company rips off the consumer and worse the repair companies that try to service the consumer. I called today to speak to a manager and I am told 24 to 48 hours until I speak to someone. The obvious is clear. Easy to take our money. Not ok to need service on your inferior product. Thinking of buying Whirlpool? DO NOT DO IT!!!

I have a double door bottom freezer refrigerator manufactured by whirlpool. It is less than 2 years old and is an absolute piece of garbage! In less than a year the noise started, then the freezer became a refrigerator and my frozen stuff melted. I had a local technician come in and he fixed it but he indicated that the fix would not likely correct the problem. Sure enough, about 6 months later the same problem started all over again. Nowadays one is never sure where a product is manufactured. However, if Whirlpool had their products made by chimpanzees in the jungle they would be better than the pieces of trash they are now selling!

Our Model # WRF532SMBW refrigerator was purchased on 8/21/14. In the last several months, it has begun having problems with ice build up in the bottom of the freezer, as well as water puddling around the front legs on the floor. I called Whirlpool and they suggested it was our water line, but it does not leak onto the floor daily. They then suggested I have a serviceman come out for a $120.00 service call, plus whatever other expenses that occur. Or, I could just pay $322.00 and that would take care of the service call, parts and an additional one year warranty. We just bought this refrigerator 23 months ago and it cost $1618.92. Now I need to spend $322.00 additionally! What a rip off. Do not purchase a Whirlpool Refrigerator or any of their other appliances. I see this is a common complaint and wish I had read the reviews earlier. The appliance is only 2 years old.

Very disappointed with this product as well as Whirlpool's handling of the situation. I purchased this item 9/15. It's now 10/16 and the plastic that surrounds the glass on the shelves has cracked on 3 of the 4 shelves. The company will not replace because the warranty time has run out. The cost to replace and ship is around $500.00. Big disappointment.

My company purchased a lot of products in Whirlpool company. We thought the product is good, until the dryer machine didn't work all of a sudden. We call a customer service. After a week the maintenance came in our unit to check the dryer but he said that they need to purchase the other part of the dryer. That was happened last july. We're keep calling the customer service. We can't even count how many times we call them. But unfortunately even them they can't give us an exact date when they can fix the dryer machine. SLOW RESPONSE FROM WHIRLPOOL COMPANY!!! Shame on you guys.

I bought a Whirlpool french door refrigerator, model # ED5LVAXWS about five years ago. I didn't have any problems until last month, on August 25, 2016. The ice dispenser stopped working, and the refrigerator went off. I had to throw out a lot of food. I got a new extended warranty that day, and a serviceman came out the following day, 8/26. It turned out he wasn't a repairman, just someone to diagnosis the problem and order the parts. The part was ordered, and the fridge would be repaired within 5 days, but the part was delayed because of a Hurricane Hermine, which completely understandable.

On 9/8 the repairman arrived, but he realized that the original guy who "diagnosed" the problem was in error. He had ordered a compressor, and what needed to be replaced was the thermostat. As of today, 9/29, the part is still not in -- I was told it's on backorder with no ETA. If I didn't have a mini fridge, I'd be at a complete loss. I called what I thought was Whirlpool to complain about the part taking so long to arrive, but was told they can do nothing. It turns out that a company called AIG U.S. Warranty Division handles Whirlpool's guarantees. I am not a happy camper.

We purchased a Whirlpool french door refrigerator 10 months ago. We have had issues with it freezing up and not cool or making Ice. In 10 months we have had repair work done on the same issue 3 different times. This refrigerator has been discontinue at the time of my purchase because whirlpool was aware of all the issues from what the repair people have told me. Shame on me for not researching this refrigerator. Customer service was no help. All they kept saying is that they will keep repairing it under the warranty. DONT buy a whirlpool. Stay far away from this company and anything they make. They do not stand behind the products.

Have read several reviews on Whirlpool refrigerator. Short and sick. I had my refrigerator less than a month. Broke down, been getting NO satisfaction from Whirlpool whatsoever. I WILL NEVER BUY A WHIRLPOOL APPLIANCES AGAIN. Service is terrible. Months have gone by, and it's still sitting in my kitchen broken. They are taking their sweet time fixing it. Garbage. DON'T BUY WHIRLPOOL, save yourself the hassles.

I purchased this WRX988SIBM01 refrigerator new at Lowe's 23 months ago. The freezer evaporator failed with estimated repair costs of $600 on a unit that cost $2400. The authorized repair person indicated that the failed part was a recalled item on the three door models. Mine is the four door model but has the same evap model. When contacting Whirlpool about covering some of this cost, they denied the issue and offered no assistance. This was after hours spent trying to get through. They do not return phone calls. I will never purchased another Whirlpool or related company product again. The quality is subpar and I hope my post prevents others from buying their shoddy products. Made in America doesn't mean what it used to.

I bought a Whirlpool French door, freezer drawer on bottom at Lowe's 2 years ago for $2,600. The refrigerator needed a new motherboard within the first year and now that it is in the 2nd year, service is required again. The repairman ordered the part and came the 2nd time to replace the part upon receipt. Now it needs the 3rd part since it is still not working. I have a herniated disc in my neck and had to remove everything from the refrigerator and freezer to take downstairs to salvage our food. Now I have to go through the same thing again for the 3rd time after the additional part comes. This refrigerator is junk. I asked Lowe's for a new replacement but of course was denied. Does anyone know a good lawyer for this type of situation? I never had a problem with an appliance like this.

I have double door Whirlpool refrigerator 1.3 years old. Since last 1.5 month I face problem. 4-5 times their technicians done visit. Following observations done by them: 1st visit problem - Water run away from back side bucket. Solution - Due to atmosphere moisture. 2nd Visit - Cooling fan not working. After 2nd visit refrigerator not worked. 3rd visit - Compressor fail. 4th visit - replace compressor. After replacement, refrigerator outer surface become heated. Skin will burn if anybody touch refrigerator. Problem still continue... I pay 2000 rs to Whirlpool as per company's norms. I lost my frozen, milk, veg., fruits etc. of approximate 1000 rs.

I bought a Whirlpool Gold refrigerator four years ago, June 2012. Today, 9/20/16, I found out that the ice maker has to be replaced to the tune of $350! The repair person told me that Whirlpool has the worst track record, and of his service calls, he has at least three to five Whirlpool refrigerators per week! This is a terrible lack of quality. When you're spending over $2,000 for a refrigerator, you expect it to work for more than four years. Not only that, but I have e-mailed Whirlpool Customer Service twice and have been ignored completely. This is my last Whirlpool product, and I urge you to stay away from them. Samsung has a much better track record.

We came home from work and all was well. About an hour later, there was a strong burning smell in the kitchen, like wires burning. Sourced it to our refrigerator. Brought our grandson upstairs to the second floor apartment to get him away from the smell and possible smoke and/or fire. This unit has been repaired several times but not recently. After reading all the same reviews on this problem, we are definitely concerned that a fire may arise. Unfortunately we may wind up buying another, very expensive, refrigerator in the very near future but it will definitely not be a Whirlpool. I wish I could give Whirlpool a ZERO star because that is even too good for this company.

My experience w/ Whirlpool has been disastrous. Whatever you do read the reviews on products before purchasing, do your homework first before purchasing any major appliance. Whirlpool company and its employees are a joke. We are paying consumers and spent our hard earned dollars to support a company that could care less about us and our problems with their products they sell to us which are a piece of crap. I purchased a refrigerator made by Whirlpool from hhgregg in Oct 2015, which took 2 months to get it delivered. The refrigerator is not a year old yet, and cannot get anyone to come out to repair it. I have called Whirlpool numerous times, and so have my husband to come and repair a refrigerator that is less than a year old.

The ice maker stopped working. Then I came home and discovered that the refrigerator is not cool, and everything in the bottom freezer had almost thawed out, and a repairman was supposed to come on August 31, 2016. It has been hot as Hades, during August, Sept, in the high 90s and they had the nerve to call and say they had to order the icemaker and when it came in someone would be out to fix it. I called the company in Maryland to find out what part did they order because a technician hadn't been out at this point to determine what part needed to be replaced. I called Whirlpool, and yes was put on hold for 45 minutes each time, and when I asked to speak to a manager, I was told that the manager said I could call a repairman and they would reimburse me up to $150.00. I replied "That that is not my job. Your job is to send a repairman to fix it."

The name of the company that they gave me and the phone number is located in Maryland, I live in the state of Virginia past Richmond, 3 hours away. Then I was told by the company in Maryland that they don't have technicians to Repair Whirlpool Refrigerators. This is totally unacceptable. It is Sept 19, and since August no one from Whirlpool has been out to fix it, neither have they tried to rectify the problem. Bottom Line, DO NOT BUY A WHIRLPOOL PRODUCT, not from hhgregg, Sears, Home Depot, Lowe's, anywhere because this is how they treat customers. I have an 88 year old Aunt that lives with us that we're responsible for, and she can't even get a glass of ice cold water from a brand new refrigerator that's still under warranty. What's wrong with this picture?

Today I had the unfortunate experience to have to deal with Whirlpool customer service and claims. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER WHIRLPOOL PRODUCT again! My refrigerator, that was purchased in 2013, has a door misalignment problem. It is a known problem with Whirlpool (service pointer W107317828). My refrigerator serial number and model number are affected. Because I am outside the one year warranty, Whirlpool refuses to provide service that is required to fix this known issue with my model/serial number. After having to talk to four "supervisors" the only resolution that was given was that they would cover the cost of the 7/16 hex nut ($4.33). Don't get me wrong I do appreciate the offer.

The two "supervisors" that were below her assured me that no one can do anything to assist me further. The attitude of the second and third "supervisor" was pathetic. After over a hour on the phone I was so disappointed that I could not take it further. The cost that we are talking about that I am asking them to pay is $154.28. I am very disappointed. They say they stand by their product. To me standing by your product means that you will fix or replace any known issue. $154.28. I hope it is worth it to you Whirlpool. You lost a long time customer.

We bought a Whirlpool refrigerator in January at Home Depot. In July we started noticing that the freezer doesn't work. The ice maker doesn't work, everything melt away. Frozen items were lost. We constantly have to dry the floor since it is leaking water. We called whirlpool on July 27 and they send someone to check it out the following day. He reported that we need a new freezer door.

I call for a follow up, I was told that it will take 6-8 weeks before we get a new door and part for the ice maker. We recently called to follow up on the status of the door just to find out that the order didn't get process until mid August. In the meanwhile, the fridge is having condensation. Water is everywhere inside. Fruits are being rotten because of too much moisture. We called again and they send out the same technician. The technician reported that the fridge will not work properly until freezer is fix. We call whirlpool again just for them to tell us to wait for the part, and gave us an extra 6 month warranty.

I purchased a Whirlpool refrigerator in February 2016 from Lowe's. Within 3 months the freezer started frosting up and eventually wasn't freezing. I made sure the back of the refrigerator was clean of debris and defrosted the freezer. This started occurring every 2 weeks. Upon a visit to Lowe's, they indicated I would need to call the manufacturer. Well, after calling about 5 times and sitting on hold over 30 minutes each time, I gave up and decided I would just deal with having to defrost it every 2 weeks.

Fast forward to September 2016. I wake up to $300 in food at 67 degrees in the fridge. Mind you, I'm a caterer and have a wedding to cater in a few days. So here I sit on hold with Whirlpool. The man answered the phone after 40 minutes on hold. Then proceeds to tell me there are no technicians in my area and someone would get back to me in 24-48 business hours. "Unacceptable," I say. I have now been on hold for another hour while he "sees what he can do." Biggest load of crap ever. He didn't bother apologizing for the loss of food, and hasn't checked in with me once. I think the guy might have put me on hold and gone to lunch. I will NEVER purchase another Whirlpool appliance - and zero stars to their customer service team. This is **!

This is my second Maytag French door refrigerator. 1st died after 5years. Bought the same again but bought an extended warranty. After 3 years, a month of service calls I still do not have a running refrigerator. Had to rent one from rent a center while Whirlpool sends more repairman. Try calling their customer service is where they got their name. They give you such a runaround they create a whirlpool. Product is junk.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Whirlpool is an American multinational manufacturer and marketer of home appliances that makes a number of different styles of refrigerators. The company manufactures refrigerators under a number of different brand names.

• Variety: Whirlpool offers a wide range of refrigerators of many different sizes and styles, such as French door, side-by-Side, top freezer and bottom freezer.
  • Matching appliances: Whirlpool also makes a number of other kitchen appliances, such as stoves, microwaves, dishwashers and compactors so that homeowners can outfit their kitchens in matching appliances.
  • Extended service plans: Whirlpool offers extended service plans that include 24/7 Toll-free call support, help from expert technicians and repair/replacement as needed.
  • Eco-friendly and Energy Star-rated: Whirlpool devotes itself to reducing its global footprint and features products with low energy usage that are more eco-friendly than other refrigerators.
  • Accessories: Whirlpool provides many refrigerator accessories, such as ice trays, shelving units, drawers, beverage containers and more.
  • Best for Homeowners looking for a reliable, high-quality refrigerator from a reputable company.

Compare Refrigerators