2. Homeowners

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Whirlpool Refrigerators Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool Refrigerators?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

Love my new Whirlpool Refrigerator! Works well and no problems for the last year. Filters are pricey but found some at Lowe’s cheaper. Whirlpool stays in touch frequently emailing information about their products, some useful some not applicable. Would I buy this refrigerator again? Yes, I love the ice maker, it is quite large (enough to fill a small cooler), and the convenience of crushed or cubed ice is nice. Most people complain about the motors are loud yet we have not experienced that.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2020

I bought my Whirlpool side by side refrigerator over 13 years ago and have had no problems with it so far. One complaint, though, is the plastic slide out drawers which tend to get brittle over time and crack making it hard to keep them on the track. The side by side style isn't the best for storage in that each side is quite narrow, although I don't know if having the slide out freezer on the bottom is the perfect answer, either. Overall, I can't complain about the price or reliability of Whirlpool products!

Get buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

When we purchased our home in 2017, it came with the the side by side, refrigerator/freezer with ice maker and water dispenser in the door, stainless steel finish. It is now 4 years old. It had a two year warranty, (expired in 2018). As of now, it has never required servicing. The temperature control works very well, both the fridge and the freezer maintain very adequate cold temperatures with minimal cost to run. The ice dispenser allows the user to choose between crushed or cubed ice along with the option to turn off the ice maker when full when not needed.

The water dispensed remains cold and the water filters are economical, less than $25 that last around 6 months each. The shelves in both sides are roomy, adjustable and easy to clean as are the two crisper drawers in the fridge and the one in the freezer. The in the door shelves on both sides are also roomy and adjustable. The stainless steel exterior is easy to clean and hides fingerprints well. We are very satisfied with the functionality and aesthetics of the Whirlpool side by side refrigerator/freezer and highly recommend it to anyone in the market for one.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

The shelves in the newer units are plastic not glass with metal and they rip/break holding heavy contains like gallons of milk, and they are more expensive to replace. I just wish they would go back to building things like in the old days. My last refrigerator lasted 20 years. I've had this one a year paid twice the price and already had to replace shelves and trays for it..

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

Whirlpool refrigerators are best whenever I used many refrigerators. It provide many useful service to users. It allow us to store different varieties of products including vegetables, fruits, beverages and many more. It can make cube ice for to use in different drinks, products, etc. It consume less energy to used this Whirlpool refrigerator products. We used Whirlpool refrigerator with less stress of storages of fresh vegetables and fruits. Water is main thing we used to store in this fridge, it maintain temperature well for cool and fresh taste of nectar of nature. Nowadays, refrigerator are used widely in our locality especially Whirlpool which I mentioned them earlier to buy this awesome product to give comfort of mankind. I recommend Whirlpool refrigerator.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

Ordered & paid 6/9--delivered 7/29--ice maker issue day 1--ice clumped chute clogged--warranty call--ice maker & valve replaced 4 weeks later due to parts not available from Whirlpool--same issue--tech support from Whirlpool adv tech to order board to resolve--4 weeks till border arrived--contacted Whirlpool 3 times--no concern--no asst--board arrived & tech installed--same issue as day 1--ice cubes freeze together & get hung up in chute--have to open door & clean ice out of chute--ice all over floor----poorest excuse of ice maker ever--Maytag could not care less or offer any asst--DON'T EVER BUY MAYTAG APPLIANCE IF SERVICE IS IMPORTANT.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

We bought model WRS571CID*** which has an in-door ice maker that has stopped working after exactly 3 years. An excellent authorized service rep advised that the wire harness from the freezer to the door was damaged by chafing from normal opening and closing the freezer door, which has caused the ice maker wires to break, thereby disabling the ice maker. The only remedy is replacing entire the door, which would cost $1700 according to Whirlpool's published repair data, which he is obligated to charge. Apparently, the wiring harness is not a replaceable part, because I suspect the labor hours needed to disassemble and reassemble the door is prohibitive. Well, a new fridge costs about the repair. I spoke to the Whirlpool company about whether they acknowledge that the design is faulty and that the door should be replaced at their expense even out of warranty, and they declined.

So I advise prospective buyers to be aware of this issue and watch other reviews. There are many customer reviews on various sites complaining about this very issue. Our workaround is to put ice trays into the freezer to make ice, and while the dispenser still works, pour the ice thus made into the ice dispenser manually - until the wire control that also becomes damaged and stops working. I would not recommend buying this model.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

Post delivery even for installation or demo also no one arrived. It's been more than 10 days. I have been following up with customer care but till date no response from their end. Every 2 days the service request gets closed even without resolving the issue, it's customers responsibility to keep following up with the customer care to keep the incident opened.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2020

Because the Korean appliances are a problem for repairmen, we're stuck with a Whirlpool choice. Seems to be a good fridge. Noisier than my Kenmore (Korean). I got instructions from repairman on opening right door first and closing it last. Otherwise rubber wears out too soon. If I put anything on left door opposite ice maker, it freezes, making that shelf useless! We had ordered a Kitchenaid but the installers damaged it.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

Stay away from all Whirlpool products. The appliances are terrible (broke twice for different reasons within 14 months of purchase). Customer service wait times are over 90 mins and the technicians take over 3 weeks to get to the house and they don't fix it, they order the part and that takes another 3 weeks for it to arrive and the technician comes back. We bought an extended warranty and when the fridge broke a second time, they canceled the warranty and said they had the right to cancel it as it was in the contract. Terrible, terrible company. I work in the service industry and I am in shock that this company can get away with treating customers like they have.

Whirlpool author review by ConsumerAffairs

Whirlpool is an American multinational manufacturer and marketer of home appliances that makes a number of different styles of refrigerators. The company manufactures refrigerators under a number of different brand names.

• Variety: Whirlpool offers a wide range of refrigerators of many different sizes and styles, such as French door, side-by-Side, top freezer and bottom freezer.

• Matching appliances: Whirlpool also makes a number of other kitchen appliances, such as stoves, microwaves, dishwashers and compactors so that homeowners can outfit their kitchens in matching appliances.

• Extended service plans: Whirlpool offers extended service plans that include 24/7 Toll-free call support, help from expert technicians and repair/replacement as needed.

• Eco-friendly and Energy Star-rated: Whirlpool devotes itself to reducing its global footprint and features products with low energy usage that are more eco-friendly than other refrigerators.

• Accessories: Whirlpool provides many refrigerator accessories, such as ice trays, shelving units, drawers, beverage containers and more.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team