Whirlpool Refrigerators
1.85/5
Based on 137 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Whirlpool Refrigerators

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 20, 2018

1341 Whirlpool Refrigerators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Have had a Whirlpool Side by Side Refrigerator since April, 2013. The ice maker broke about 2 months ago, and after several attempts with an authorized repairman, & $258.00 so far, it is still not working. Yesterday, he came with another authorized Whirlpool Serviceman, and they both agreed that it would be cheaper for me to buy a new refrigerator. REALLY??? What has happened to "quality" and pride of workmanship?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

3 months after I got the fridge, the ice maker went out. 3 months later it started to work again. Replace the water filters 2 times per yr. It is noisy when it makes ice.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Plastic inner shelving too flimsy, surface flaws and scratch, swipes too noticeable. Overall design a must something that does not show markings.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

OMG. We had just purchased a house in Clermont Fl. At Appliance Direct on Citrus Tower, worse experience. Imagine my husband and myself had recently retired. Therefore we wanted to make sure whatever we purchased was to last since it's not easy to replace anything on our fixed income. A few mos later the ice maker would make noise in the middle of the night and would not fill up completely. 1 yr it stopped making ice completely. We went to Appliance Direct only to find out that nothing could have been done. We purchased the extra warranty for approx 391 dollars. We then were told by Whirlpool that we would have to wait 60 days. The time came and the customer service now tells us that the breakdown happened the same month we purchased the warranty so we would have to pay ourselves to have it fixed. We went ahead and paid for the repair.

A few mos after the ice maker stopped again and the bottom freezer would not freeze anything. Our food spoiled etc. We called Whirlpool now that the warranty was now ok. We had to wait for an appointment with the company of their choice. The repairman came and stated that the part had to be ordered before we can get ice and freezer working. Waited almost 2 weeks for that. Repair done and soon after, like 4 days later we still didn't have ice. Called again, another company was sent... all over again we waited for 2 parts.. He assured us that we should be good. 2 mos now we're getting half capacity ice and freezer doesn't freeze everything. Ice cream is a no no.

So much money (2500 dollars) paid for that piece of junk. The repairman told us “forget about replacement, the company will send a repairman once a month if they have to“. It's frustrating and some days I wish I could just put it on the sidewalk for the garbage truck. I can't afford to go out and buy a new one (of course it would not be Whirlpool). In the meantime this company Whirlpool is making all this money from selling these junk. I am mad like hell and tell everyone to stay away from Whirlpool. I wish I'd purchased a Samsung instead. I could climb the top of a mountain and shout: Don't buy Whirlpool.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I love my Whirlpool refrigerator and all other Whirlpool products. Whirlpool is the only brand I ever buy. All my appliances are all Whirlpool and I would recommend the Whirlpool brand to everyone I know. They are very durable and great products.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I felt compelled to write this review, to sum it up NEVER buy ANY Whirlpool, KitchenAid etc brand. Nothing but the worst experience, it all started with a 5 year old Whirlpool fridge that stopped cooling, I called and they said they could send someone for like 200$ and that it does not guarantee it will be fixed. So I called an independent and he tried to refill the freon, but it was leaking behind the fridge in a section you cannot access because they want you to buy another one, so 5 year old fridge in the garbage and now to top it off, a KitchenAid knife set that is barely used, one of the big knives broke cutting a fruit, and good luck in any circumstance getting any customer service. SO NEVER AGAIN, TRUST ME AND PUT YOUR MONEY ELSEWHERE ON ANY OTHER COMPANY.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Whirlpool is an awesome fridge. There was plenty of room for everything. I loved the freezer part too. I would love to have another one because mine was in a fire in 2015. You will like Whirlpool.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

The ice maker broke down in three months and after the warranty repair it makes a lot of noise and the water does not come through. I will not recommend Whirlpool.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

In November 2016 I took delivery of a Whirlpool WRF757SDEE French door unit. One month later: In December 2016, it needed a new ice maker, as it never did fill the ice bucket and they were always melted together. Two months later: In February 2017, a thermal fuse had to be replaced—refrigerator compartment wasn’t cold enough. 8 months later, Aug 2017, it needed electronic circuit board replaced, as refrigerator compartment completely froze up. November 18, 2017 manufacturer's one year warranty expired. BUT, I HAD PURCHASED AN EXTENDED WARRANTY! 4 years from NSI Protection Plus (a joke, see my review.)

December 31, 2017: One year and one month after delivery, the unit stopped cooling completely. My local appliance store where I purchased sent out a tech and took it into the shop for diagnosis. They found the sealed system was kaput. Couldn’t get the temp below 67 degrees. My dealer was great and sent out a loaner after a week, and for almost 7 weeks they argued for a replacement with NSI Protection Plus. Finally on February 8, 2018, they threatened to take them to court and they paid $15 less than my purchase price. I’m out $189 for the “warranty,” $188.48 sales tax and $89.95 delivery. And I have to go buy another refrigerator. It won’t be a Whirlpool.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

The door on this model that I have needs a warning signal when it's accidentally left ajar. It is a french door model so the doors are very soft with gaskets and they don't close easily. Otherwise I like it; it fits in a small space.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I bought a Whirlpool gold model #GB2F-1DXW507 / k27711376 when we remodeled our kitchen in October 2012. After a couple months I noticed water on my floor, then in the bottom of the freezer. I called Lowe’s. They sent out a repairman. He said it was a flaw in the design and put the redesigned part in. When they delivered the fridge they changed the door to a left hand open and it was never right. After 2 years the ice maker stopped working. I just started buying ice. Today 5 years and 5 months later they said it will cost me almost $500.00 to fix the electric board and the Ice maker.

The fridge stopped working would not get cold. And the certified Whirlpool repairman said it was a very good looking fridge and he would fix it with a 90 day warranty on the genuine Whirlpool parts for almost $500.00. I said I wasn't a idiot. Why would I spend that kind of money for JUNK. After reading some reviews I think Whirlpool knows just what junk they are selling. I called and all they said was, “That's too bad. We will take it under advisement.” I bought mine 1st then 1 year later my sister and sister-in-law bought theirs. 3 fridges with all the same leaking issues. I hope they don't end up with all the same problems.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

This 29.5 cu foot fridge will not keep a steady temperature and it has had 5 Warranty visits in its first 3 months since new. It has had several Large components changed out including the Freezer door, water valves, electronic boards, gaskets, and more. I was NOT able to get it labeled as a "lemon" and returned to Lowe’s simply because I accepted Warranty work to be done in the first 30 days which then disables any chance to return the unit. If I had asked for it to be returned in the first 30 days with the First bad issues I could have. Now I am stuck with it and I dislike the fridge and will never buy another Whirlpool or any other appliance from Lowe’s.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I have had my refrigerator for a few years now. When I first purchased it, it was because of the brand and the looks. As far as performance it runs just as good as any other less expensive ones.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Bought From Lowe's in Liberty, Mo along with ext warranty so they ignore you if there is an issue and you are on your own with the warranty people. The 2 that came out were 'bottom of the barrel' as to knowledge of problem and how to repair it. Fridge runs fine - but freezer compartment developed crack right in front. Their solution was to stick a piece of what looks like shipping tape over the crack! I AM NOT HAPPY! Also contacted Whirlpool and they refuse to do anything! Next time, I will shop on Craigslist.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Model# WRF993FIFM00 SN K62921284. Bought it new. Less than a year old it stopped cooling. Lost 400 dollars of food. Repairman came out. Beat a new part in it because he said the company had a recall part to make it work. So I can assume Whirlpool is aware of this lemon but for some reason they don't care about it. Do not know why?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

When purchasing a new home, the almost new Whirlpool double-door ice-dispensing stainless steel refrigerator came with the kitchen. This beautiful-looking fridge worked well for close to three years, but gave up the ghost shortly after its warranty expired; designed obsolescence perhaps? Problem was, it would have cost almost as much to repair as it would have to purchase a new fridge with a warranty. So, that's what I did, via a local big-box store. I bought a single door floor model, with the Whirlpool ending up as scrap, the whole incident leaving a bad taste in my mouth. If you have your grandmother's old fridge that still runs, keep it!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Don't buy their produce!!! My refrigerators bought in January 2017 and just use 9 months. It breaks and repairs 3 months. It cannot repair and Whirlpool will refund for me, but I wait long time and no any answer. I try to call Whirlpool customer service. Their staff hold me long time and tell me they will be call back... Oh my God!!! I left my refrigerators 3 months ago. Whirlpool did not care the customer. Terrible company!!!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I purchased a Whirlpool refrigerator in 2014. It is a side by side with ice maker in the door. About 8 month ago the ice machine stopped working. I called an appliance repair center and they diagnosed the problem as being the control board for the ice machine. After only 3 years this stopped working? I gave them to OK to fix it. A few days later I was informed that the part is on backorder for a few months. Well a few months has become 6 months and no part is available. I contacted Whirlpool and they called me and promised a solution, but then they never contacted me again. So it is almost 7 months later and I still have no ice. How can a relatively newer product break down and then not have a part available? Whirlpool absolutely does NOT care about their customers and does NOT back their products. Stay away at all costs.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

The refrigerator door stopped sealing after a year. Ice maker also works intermittently. I will not purchase another whirlpool unless the quality improves.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

It's a big buy to decided on fridge, bought one last year and the drawer keeps popping off the plastic piece. Who designs these to where the piece isn't long enough to stay put. The Veg filter in the back came broke so it doesn't stay on. Just upset to pay that much and have a really cheap product.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

It is 12 yrs. Efficient, consistent cooling if you clean the cooling grid on front underside. Don't overload the freezer or drain tube will freeze and need to be thawed.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I have replaced the damper control unit three times the last three years. The part begins to fail after nine months in used. The temperature becomes too cold in the refrigerator and the food started frozen because the damper door won't closed as cold air flows from freezer to the refrigerator. It adds to the displeasure that Whirlpool is not taking care of the shipping cost even the part is under warranty.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I purchased cash for our new house and we notice a couple of times the freezer would start to thaw and the light bulb would freeze up. It has been ok for a while now.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

32 years and still going! Can’t beat that! Double wide frost free. Been great! Will buy another Whirlpool when time comes. Just hope the company hasn’t changed for the worse.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

It has plenty of room. The compartments within the refrigerator are well organized. There is plenty of room in the freezer. Have had this for about eight years and going strong.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Pleased with product, its looks and cost. Have owned it for 5 years. Never had any problems with it. Only issue is stainless steel front shows handprints had to be cleaned frequently.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Have had it replaced. It is not a great value. Need one with freezer on the bottom. Will buy another brand. Not 2 years old making noise and it sounds like someone pounding on the side after the doors are open. This is a side by side fridge and has space but I question when this will go out.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

The ice maker stop working and repairman said I need a new motor. Couldn't afford it so I just use ice trays. I will be another on soon but you love the size.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I have always used Whirlpool products and have grown up with them. From washing machines to dishwashers. Not only is it made in the USA but it's reliable. The only problem is space and it can do with more freezer space. Other than that it's a great refrigerator.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Love the size. We got the 28 cu ft with the drawer. I love the drawer for cold drinks and lunch meat, cheese, etc. Unlike previous refrigerators I never seem to run out of room. The bottom freezer has 2 drawers and is easy to organize.

Whirlpool expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Whirlpool is an American multinational manufacturer and marketer of home appliances that makes a number of different styles of refrigerators. The company manufactures refrigerators under a number of different brand names.

• Variety: Whirlpool offers a wide range of refrigerators of many different sizes and styles, such as French door, side-by-Side, top freezer and bottom freezer.

• Matching appliances: Whirlpool also makes a number of other kitchen appliances, such as stoves, microwaves, dishwashers and compactors so that homeowners can outfit their kitchens in matching appliances.

• Extended service plans: Whirlpool offers extended service plans that include 24/7 Toll-free call support, help from expert technicians and repair/replacement as needed.

• Eco-friendly and Energy Star-rated: Whirlpool devotes itself to reducing its global footprint and features products with low energy usage that are more eco-friendly than other refrigerators.

• Accessories: Whirlpool provides many refrigerator accessories, such as ice trays, shelving units, drawers, beverage containers and more.

• Best for: Homeowners looking for a reliable, high-quality refrigerator from a reputable company.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

www.whirlpool.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use