2.34/5
Based on 188 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1444 Whirlpool Refrigerators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I purchased my Whirlpool refrigerator 8 months ago model # WRF560SEXM which is less than a year old and already I'm experiencing problems already. I have owned several refrigerators in the past which were older models and less sophisticated, and all of them lasted well over 10 years with no major issues, so to buy a new refrigerator through Whirlpool and have it malfunction in less than a year is unacceptable. Customers deserves better than this especially at these prices.

My malfunction occurred when my ice maker stopped working and the internal temperature stopped working altogether, which caused all my food to spoil which had to replaced which was very expensive which infuriated me more and because my service appointment was a week away. I LITERALLY had to order out for food and purchase ice. And if this happens again I will have replace food and order food out again. WHIRLPOOL don't realize the impact this has on its customers. I would definitely not recommend their refrigerators EVER!!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

When renovating my kitchen I went with all Whirlpool appliance. I have nothing but trouble with my fridge. About a year old we had to replace the motherboard at our expense. After having that done, about 6 months later I had to defrost it so it would work again. Now it has to be done every month. All they say we can book another service call at my expense again. All I say thank goodness I kept my old Frigidaire. It saved me more than once. So my advice is stay away from Whirlpool. They don't stand behind their products from my experience.

Get expert buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Do not purchase (Whirlpool products). Discuss guarantees with salespeople when purchasing! They are total sham and in fact borderline fraud! Purchased $5,000 dollar KitchenAid fridge only to have it breakdown after only 8 months. What they don't tell you is instead of recalling a product they give their repair personnel what's called a "notice" which means they know there are issues with their products!

After much discussion and trying to return the product to no avail, I was told very adamantly my fridge would need to break down another additional 2 times before my fridge would be replaced with a new fridge. Forget about the cost of your food inside the fridge, they don't care! Just beware that their warranties and parts and labour are a complete and utter joke! My advice after much research if you can afford it buy "Miele" or "Subzero" product. It's more expensive but a lot less headaches in the long run! I've eaten the cost of my KitchenAid appliance and went with a Subzero fridge. Don't believe the higher pressure sales pitch from salesman. You're best to call a repairman and ask what he's fixing more often than not and 9/10 times he will tell you Whirlpool product! Customer service is a complete circus and gong show. You'll get further ahead talking to a donkey!!! Buyer beware! Whirlpool Canada/USA is a joke!!! Don't say I didn't warn ya!!!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

My wife and I spent about $2500 on a new Whirlpool Dutch Door fridge five years ago. 18 months later the evaporator went out and the warranty was only good for one year! We bought an extended warranty, got it fixed and the other evaporator went out less than a year later after that! Next, the circuit board control on the crisper went out. Then, the water filter would not disengage and a repairman had to take the fridge apart just to put in a new filter! And now, the ice-maker has gone out and the fan is icing up like another evaporator is going... Insane! Our warranty is up next year. Once the warranty ends we will start shopping for another unit - and it won't be a Whirlpool - that's for sure. I have never owned anything this unreliable in my entire life! Also, I would say most of the time we have owned this piece of you-know-what it has made a loud disturbing fan noise... What a waste of good money! Run! Run far, far away!!!

Original review: July 24, 2018

WHIRLPOOL REFRIGERATOR MODEL WRF532SMBM01 FRENCH DOOR - Gasket in refrigerator door totally cracked in bottom part and torn on the side only after 2 years and one month of use. I have another Whirlpool refrigerator for 7 years without gasket failure. My other 3 previous refrigerators which I have owned more than 10 years. Each also never had any problems.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: July 21, 2018

We got a french door Whirlpool refrigerator about 15 months ago. Model Wrf757sdem01. There were problems from day one. Serviced about 6 times by 3 different companies... Died again less than 2 weeks ago. Finally the store decided to replace it. Was under an extended warranty. We have been without a fridge for over 10 days. It has caused multiple problems for us as we are out in the country. We have to haul ice to 4 coolers... Wait on the new one (a Whirlpool). Plumber had to be called in and he has had 3 of this same model replaced! Years ago you could trust Whirlpool. Now apparently not. I hope we do not have to regret our replacement one which still is not installed! By the way the water filters have to be replaced to the tune of 100.00 a year. We are not going to use an icemaker or get water from the new one.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Three Whirlpool fridges in 5 years. 1. Fridge one three doors replaced still not satisfactory, returned, warranty VOID. 2. Fridge two simply stopped being cold therefore not working 100+ food wasted before year. 3. Fridge three freezer leaking all over floor. Two years old 0 warranty left. I now pay again to repair. I am so beyond WHIRLPOOL PRODUCTS and so fuming??? Mad. $$$. 1300.00 to 1500.00 purchases ALL JUNK. NEVER WILL I PURCHASE ANOTHER WHIRLPOOL product. I do own a full file of continuous complaints. Brault & Martineau store Gatineau did the best to help with exchanges, sent repair man who did nothing. Will not deal with them again either.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Our previous Whirlpool fridge failed prematurely and had to be replaced. We purchased a new Whirlpool bottom freezer fridge from The Brick, exact same model; as my wife liked the model layout. The new fridge arrived DOA. Fans run but the compressor doesn't run. I guess Whirlpool doesn't test anything, they just build and ship... Take your money and let the customer fix it.

Original review: July 12, 2018

This refrigerator (Model #wrf560seymoo, Serial # VS31343718) was new in April 2013. In the last 3 years it has required 3 service repairs. Two under the extended warranty, one recent one 3 months out of warranty. All repairs came up in the last 3 years. The first repair addressed frost build up in the freezer. The second required replacement of the water filter compartment and the third will be addressing water dripping from the freezer door when I open it. Even after turning off the ice maker and removing the frozen puddle from the bottom of the freezer, it still drips water when I open the door. I have a call into service on this right now. I would like the company to fix the current issue even though it is outside of warranty. This product is too new to have so many problems and be just over 5 years old.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I bought a new Whirlpool refrigerator from Sears and within a month the refrigerator side did not maintain temperature where milk would not spoil... Cool but never cold. I called Sears and they said it's Whirlpool warranty to contact them. This I did and about a week later they contacted a local service company they use to maintain their equipment... Long story short this will be the 4th time they were informed the refrigerator still doesn't maintain temperature... Food had to be thrown out because of that.

I asked them to refund me my cost or at minimum get a working refrigerator to me because after 4 attempts at trying to fix the problem it still exists... They just want to keep sending a repairman out there who still can't figure out the problem and that has cost me much time away from work not the mention the spoiled food costs... Even when complaining my dilemma to the repairman he said, "All they will do is keep calling us and kick the can down the road..." They could care less about what it has cost me in time and money... I had to give 1 star to this company but they don't deserve even that one... Don't waste you time thinking a warranty by them is worth a flip and now over 3 months I'm without a refrigerator...

Original review: July 9, 2018

Bought two small wine cellars from Pacific Sales. Right about after one year, one of them stopped working - making terrible noises and not cooling. Tried to call the company since it is out of Pacific Sales warranty period and it is impossible to get through and to get my issue resolved. It is out of warranty (purchased in late 2015) and it seems that the life expectancy of this appliance is a little over a year. I gave up calling the Whirlpool and decided to share my experience here. I hope they might pay attention and reach me after this review - I would appreciate it very much. It is annoying to have paid a lot just to have it working for 12 month.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I have had an extremely frustrating experience with Whirlpool refrigerator WRT311. It broke after 6 months. So far it has been diagnosed twice with a faulty compressor and leaking coolant. Whirlpool will (seemingly) never replace an appliance--even if it makes no sense to keep trying to fix it. This is a $600 refrigerator! I can't imagine how much they have spent in repair costs. They simply send a service tech time after time, jerking the consumer around with no regard for what we have to go through to arrange 6 tech visits, some of them multiple hours long. Yes, we have had six tech visits, for a total of 10+ hours, and six weeks living with a broken refrigerator. As well as 30+ phone calls, hours on hold, etc.

The refrigerator is loudly throbbing away after being refilled with coolant twice, and is still leaking coolant. Are they hoping the customer just gives up and buys a new appliance on their own? I wonder about the many positive reviews of their appliances: Are they fake? Are they churned out by Whirlpool? I have no confidence in this company. They are inept, if not crooked, and I would advise buyers to beware of poor quality and extremely poor warranty and consumer service.

Original review: July 9, 2018

Bought a Whirlpool fridge (WRF560SFHZ) 3.5 years old not cheap! Suddenly one day, the freezer drawer cannot close properly. Since it broke down on a long weekend, I have to wait 3 days in order to contact Whirlpool customer services. And then wait for another 4 days for them to send a technician. The technician advised it is a screw on the rail fall down and he fixed it and charged as 115CAD repairing fee (for a loose screw). He said it is a product defect from Whirlpool and that we should call Whirlpool to ask for a refund.

Of course after a long wait from the hotline, Whirlpool refused to refund, saying that, "It is not within warranty period and it is perfectly normal that you paid for 17** CAD fridge and can only used for 3,5 years and that things happens (screw can get loose)." The service rep. even said, "You bought it, it is your property now..." And they don't care you have to throw away food in the freezer since the door cannot be closed. And of course they refuse to admit that the product has an inherent defect... Will never buy this brand ever again!

Original review: July 5, 2018

We purchased a new motor home with a whirlpool refrigerator. The refrigerator went out three months after purchasing this new motor home. We have had two expertise come out and check. Both repairmen said there was a leak in the cabinet and needed to be replaced. They called Whirlpool who will not honor the warranty. We are still under warranty but it is not worth the paper it is written on. Do not buy their products because their products do not work and they will not replace broken items from the manufacture. Will have to contact better business. Not material enough to hire attorney. This is what they count on. BEWARE.

Original review: July 2, 2018

We have owned refrigerators for over 40 years. Never had one as bad as this. Three ice maker replacements lasting maybe from 6 months to 2 years. Cap that off with customer service people who by voice and tone could not give a rat's ** about helping the customer. Today it took me from 3:10 pm to 5:30 pm to get a real person on the phone. When I did the attitude is so reminiscent of a fast food hamburger joint with arches. Yes they know the refrig and ice maker are and have been a problem but they don’t care cause we have no option. Whirlpool will NEVER SEE ANOTHER penny of my money. Time to look at real appliance makers. Horrible.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I've been thru 2 new French door refrigerators with the icemakers in the door. I've lost all of my food more than 6 times! There is a design flaw and they are no longer making the large models. I finally figured this out after reading multiple reviews from a lot of people with same/similar experiences. The compressor freezes then the loud noise all while the temp slowly lowers and ruining your food before you know what's happening. To add insult to injury... After ordering my THIRD replacement, their contracted installation company won't communicate with me to let me know when it will be delivered. I've been without a fridge for 3 months! Calling them takes a full morning with hold times over an hour! I will never buy another product from them. I have a "taboo" LG French door with an ice maker in the door in my other home and it has been perfect for 7 years. Just be very careful and read reviews from people who have owned one for at least a year.

Original review: June 25, 2018

Whirlpool model WRF560SMYB04 - We purchased this model Whirlpool in Dec 2015 after having a refrigerator for 18 years with no problems. We started having cooling issues in late 2017 and finally an intolerable fan noise in April 2018. Researched it and purchased a fan. Opened up the freezer panel and found that the unit was completely frosted up to the point where ice had formed around the freezer fan and was hitting the blades. Contacted a repairman who came out and called in the issue to the Whirlpool tech line. He was told that he should check continuity on a couple of wires. If these checked out, the problem was the user interface board at the top of the refrigerator. We purchased a new board for about $100 and installed same. No change. I was now $250 into repairs and no further.

We became aware of Whirlpool Service Pointer W10875533A which described conditions that we were experiencing. The issue was a coil thermistor that would corrode (apparently within 2 years) and would not provide accurate signals. Whirlpool also issued an instruction sheet W10902213 Rev A describing how to relocate the thermistor and protect it with foil and tape. My repairman came out, confirmed the thermistor ($54) was bad, replaced same following the Instruction Sheet. We were now out over $300 on a $1000 refrigerator purchased 2 years earlier.

Whirlpool issued the Service Pointer (not to consumers, but to repair shops) in Sept 2016 (within our warranty period). We received no notifications from Whirlpool of the defective design. Nor did we receive a recall notice. Moreover, Whirlpool tech group must have known about this issue, but instructed my repairman to replace the interface board. Whirlpool knows they have a defective product out there but are doing nothing to inform the consumer or stepping up to correct the problem. We have contacted Whirlpool to recover our expenses...will let you all know how that goes. Anybody interested in pursuing a class action?

Original review: June 23, 2018

Refrigerator door display cable failed. The company declared refrigerator is beyond repair. Cable must be replaceable, we cannot throw refrigerator for small fault. The cost of cable is hardly Rs. 200 and refrigerator cost is Rs 25000. It is a design fault. Company has to replace cable.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I purchased a built in black stainless-steel Whirlpool refrigerator in June and took delivery in September 2017. It quit making ice in December and I was told to replace the water filter. So, I did - still no ice. Fast forward to May 2018 still not making ice so finally got repair person out under warranty. He could not figure it out so "reset" it and said to wait 24 hours and see if there is ice. There was no ice. AND in the morning the whole unit was not working - lost all my food in the fridge and freezer - NOT covered by warranty. A few days later a different guy comes and says the guy that was there is an "idiot" and no longer with the company. Again, this guy can’t figure out what the issue is between himself and the Whirlpool tech on the phone so he does his thing and gets the fridge on again. Still no ice.

Fast forward to 6/20/18 repair guy has been out 3 times and not been able to figure out the issue between his knowledge and Whirlpool's team on the phone with him. At one point it worked for a few days and then died again and AGAIN lost all food in fridge and freezer - NOT covered under warranty. As of today even though I have not had a fridge since 5/10/18 and they won’t be back until 6/28/18 and they are just shooting in the dark on the repair cause they never have figured out what the problem is Whirlpool will not replace the unit until this attempt fails. If this attempt fails then they will review/recommend replacement of the unit which will take 2 weeks.

That means that Whirlpool is OK with the consumer being out of a refrigerator for almost 3 months or more, losing time and money at work to meet with the repair person multiple times, having spent thousands of dollars on the unit and losing hundreds of dollars’ worth of food. Not to mention the inconvenience and cost of not having refrigerator for a family with a working mother, 2 teenagers and a 90 year old grandmother/great grandmother. But, hey it’s the way the warranty works right?!

Original review: June 20, 2018

We bought this 26 cu ft fridge from Nebraska Furniture Mart in April 2017. In November stopped making ice. Was repaired. Now it’s not working again. Multiple enquirers shows this is a common problem with this fridges. I’m debating whether it’s worth the effort to repair it or just put in junkyard. WORTHLESS piece of shiny metal.

Original review: June 19, 2018

My KitchenAid side by side refrigerator/freezer is a beautiful thing, shiny steel surface, gleaming white inside. However, it's made poorly. The ice cube maker compartment broke and the replacement came without any installation instructions. It was hard to figure out and I broke it. Now, everything in the refrigerator is freezing and changing the temperature on the digital panel makes no difference. McKinney's appliance, where I bought it, no longer has a refrigeration technician and they referred me to Whirlpool's 1-800 number where I supplied some information and sat in my chair on hold listening to music for a half hour before hanging up.

The recording on the phone suggested their online chat where I was asked the same sorts of questions and was told I would get the answers I wanted by paying $5.00. I had no idea what I was getting into but I didn't pay, just terminated that inquiry. Feeling cheated by the company whose product I had mistakenly purchased. I'm now running the risk of a technician visit, sometime between 8 am and 4 pm a couple of days from now. I have to be prepared to wait around all day for somebody to look at my refrigerator, charge me a lot of money and, from what I've read online, potentially see the problem return in a very short space of time.

Original review: June 15, 2018

We have had nothing but problems out of our refrigerator in the past 5 months. We purchased it a year ago in April and they have already replaced 7 parts on it. It still doesn’t freeze, and we have no ice... We will NEVER buy another Whirlpool product ever again!!!

Original review: June 10, 2018

I purchased a new French door refrigerator in May of 2016. Professionally installed. Last May 2017 icemaker stopped working and was replaced. June 2018 icemaker stopped working. This part of the refrigerator is poor quality and because of that I will never purchase another Whirlpool appliance. They use to be good quality and dependable. Not anymore.

Original review: June 10, 2018

This Whirpool Refrige/Freezer has been used by me and my family for almost 10 yrs. without a bit of trouble, The only thing I've had to do is change a light bulb. I'm not even sure if they make these anymore. But, it has been in good use with my apartment for a good long time.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Our 27 cubic foot BLACK French Door refrigerator is freezing up again for the 4 or is it 5 time. We are now told they will give us a replacement and to go to the website and find what we want. The website lists DISCONTINUED fridges. Called their RUDE rep and found out only can get a Smaller, stainless steel ONLY refrigerator. So is that how they work, sell crappy refrigerators and then replace with a lesser refrigerator, which most likely will break down too. SHAME ON WHIRLPOOL. Or is it DEADPOOL. Your reputation is shot. We will NEVER purchase another piece of junk from you!!!

Original review: June 5, 2018

The ice and water dispenser is not easy to clean. I removed the bulb and it had black residue mold came out of the water part and where the ice. The shelves are not durable. This refrigerator is not spacious and I have replace the filter a lot.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I read the reviews on this product (Model # WRF560SEYM04) before I bought it. I should have listened. Whirlpool has always had an excellent reputation so I figured the person just did not take care of their unit. We chose the unit because our house is older and we have cabinets and that was about the best-looking model that we saw that would fit in our space. We were very disappointed when it start falling apart the door part from the bottom just crumbled off. We had a Kenmore before that it lasts about 25 years and it was still in good shape so we ended up giving it to our daughter and it still working perfectly. I will never buy another Whirlpool product. I'm very disappointed I bought the unit in 2015.

The Kenmore we had held up over the years with the kids opening and closing the doors. I can't say we ever had a problem with it. All I did was replace the filter when needed and dust the back of it from time to time. This Whirlpool did not last with just the wife and I. Needless to say when I contacted Whirlpool they were of no help. I called a local parts place and the guy said he just had to replace the door for another customer. I guess this is something that happens often. If you are considering appliances for your home do your homework. I would not recommend their products at all.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Lost two freezers of meat in this Whirlpool. Changed Motherboard twice. Wouldn't keep ice cream frozen. Tech told me I was buying cheap ice cream. Was told by Whirlpool that they don't replace freezers. Received a call from another WP rep who did replace it. Waiting 4 weeks now because trucking company won't come up my driveway in snow. It was here once out. Driver didn't know how to change unit out. Waiting for exp driver now.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Model KRFC704FSS00 Ice Maker Broken in 7 months - A major appliance should NOT break 7 months with normal use. Whirlpool appliances (all brands) have known issues with their ice maker that the manufacturer said it addressed but instead failed miserably. On top of the known issue, their customer service has limited control over the repair and sends unqualified, unprepared repair techs to your home.

After waiting several days for a repair person to show up they don't actually "repair" anything. They take a picture of the model and serial number only to have to order parts and come back another day...not when it is convenient for the customer but for the repair company. And you can't just take 30 min off of work because they have a window that they will show up in...so two days minimum lost for a single repair. Then they act like they are doing you a favor by extending your warranty...they have to warranty the repair anyway. Acting like it is a favor to you is just another platitude like them saying they are sorry or they understand. They are not sorry or they would fix the major issue before customers buy their product or at least fix the fridge when it breaks in a timely and responsive manner. If they understood anything they would do something about recurring issues. Don't be sorry, BE BETTER.

Original review: May 31, 2018

My wife and I went and bought a new Whirlpool 27 cubic foot French door fridge model WRF767SDEMO1 in 3-13-17 from Lowe's and I have all the paperwork. And on Monday the May-28-2018 it stopped making ice, so I called a repairman and he came out May-31-2018 and he said it was leaking gas and it cannot be FIXED and it is JUNK. He told me to, "Call Whirlpool and tell them you want a new one." I called Whirlpool and they are sending one of their repairmen out June -5- 2018 to check it and by that time I will lose everything in the fridge because it stopped working.

Whirlpool expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Whirlpool is an American multinational manufacturer and marketer of home appliances that makes a number of different styles of refrigerators. The company manufactures refrigerators under a number of different brand names.

• Variety: Whirlpool offers a wide range of refrigerators of many different sizes and styles, such as French door, side-by-Side, top freezer and bottom freezer.

• Matching appliances: Whirlpool also makes a number of other kitchen appliances, such as stoves, microwaves, dishwashers and compactors so that homeowners can outfit their kitchens in matching appliances.

• Extended service plans: Whirlpool offers extended service plans that include 24/7 Toll-free call support, help from expert technicians and repair/replacement as needed.

• Eco-friendly and Energy Star-rated: Whirlpool devotes itself to reducing its global footprint and features products with low energy usage that are more eco-friendly than other refrigerators.

• Accessories: Whirlpool provides many refrigerator accessories, such as ice trays, shelving units, drawers, beverage containers and more.

• Best for: Homeowners looking for a reliable, high-quality refrigerator from a reputable company.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

Benton Harbor
MI
www.whirlpool.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business