2.59/5
Based on 185 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1424 Whirlpool Refrigerators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 19, 2018

My KitchenAid side by side refrigerator/freezer is a beautiful thing, shiny steel surface, gleaming white inside. However, it's made poorly. The ice cube maker compartment broke and the replacement came without any installation instructions. It was hard to figure out and I broke it. Now, everything in the refrigerator is freezing and changing the temperature on the digital panel makes no difference. McKinney's appliance, where I bought it, no longer has a refrigeration technician and they referred me to Whirlpool's 1-800 number where I supplied some information and sat in my chair on hold listening to music for a half hour before hanging up.

The recording on the phone suggested their online chat where I was asked the same sorts of questions and was told I would get the answers I wanted by paying $5.00. I had no idea what I was getting into but I didn't pay, just terminated that inquiry. Feeling cheated by the company whose product I had mistakenly purchased. I'm now running the risk of a technician visit, sometime between 8 am and 4 pm a couple of days from now. I have to be prepared to wait around all day for somebody to look at my refrigerator, charge me a lot of money and, from what I've read online, potentially see the problem return in a very short space of time.

Original review: June 15, 2018

We have had nothing but problems out of our refrigerator in the past 5 months. We purchased it a year ago in April and they have already replaced 7 parts on it. It still doesn’t freeze, and we have no ice... We will NEVER buy another Whirlpool product ever again!!!

Get expert buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I purchased a new French door refrigerator in May of 2016. Professionally installed. Last May 2017 icemaker stopped working and was replaced. June 2018 icemaker stopped working. This part of the refrigerator is poor quality and because of that I will never purchase another Whirlpool appliance. They use to be good quality and dependable. Not anymore.

Original review: June 10, 2018

This Whirpool Refrige/Freezer has been used by me and my family for almost 10 yrs. without a bit of trouble, The only thing I've had to do is change a light bulb. I'm not even sure if they make these anymore. But, it has been in good use with my apartment for a good long time.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Our 27 cubic foot BLACK French Door refrigerator is freezing up again for the 4 or is it 5 time. We are now told they will give us a replacement and to go to the website and find what we want. The website lists DISCONTINUED fridges. Called their RUDE rep and found out only can get a Smaller, stainless steel ONLY refrigerator. So is that how they work, sell crappy refrigerators and then replace with a lesser refrigerator, which most likely will break down too. SHAME ON WHIRLPOOL. Or is it DEADPOOL. Your reputation is shot. We will NEVER purchase another piece of junk from you!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: June 5, 2018

The ice and water dispenser is not easy to clean. I removed the bulb and it had black residue mold came out of the water part and where the ice. The shelves are not durable. This refrigerator is not spacious and I have replace the filter a lot.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I read the reviews on this product (Model # WRF560SEYM04) before I bought it. I should have listened. Whirlpool has always had an excellent reputation so I figured the person just did not take care of their unit. We chose the unit because our house is older and we have cabinets and that was about the best-looking model that we saw that would fit in our space. We were very disappointed when it start falling apart the door part from the bottom just crumbled off. We had a Kenmore before that it lasts about 25 years and it was still in good shape so we ended up giving it to our daughter and it still working perfectly. I will never buy another Whirlpool product. I'm very disappointed I bought the unit in 2015.

The Kenmore we had held up over the years with the kids opening and closing the doors. I can't say we ever had a problem with it. All I did was replace the filter when needed and dust the back of it from time to time. This Whirlpool did not last with just the wife and I. Needless to say when I contacted Whirlpool they were of no help. I called a local parts place and the guy said he just had to replace the door for another customer. I guess this is something that happens often. If you are considering appliances for your home do your homework. I would not recommend their products at all.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Lost two freezers of meat in this Whirlpool. Changed Motherboard twice. Wouldn't keep ice cream frozen. Tech told me I was buying cheap ice cream. Was told by Whirlpool that they don't replace freezers. Received a call from another WP rep who did replace it. Waiting 4 weeks now because trucking company won't come up my driveway in snow. It was here once out. Driver didn't know how to change unit out. Waiting for exp driver now.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Model KRFC704FSS00 Ice Maker Broken in 7 months - A major appliance should NOT break 7 months with normal use. Whirlpool appliances (all brands) have known issues with their ice maker that the manufacturer said it addressed but instead failed miserably. On top of the known issue, their customer service has limited control over the repair and sends unqualified, unprepared repair techs to your home.

After waiting several days for a repair person to show up they don't actually "repair" anything. They take a picture of the model and serial number only to have to order parts and come back another day...not when it is convenient for the customer but for the repair company. And you can't just take 30 min off of work because they have a window that they will show up in...so two days minimum lost for a single repair. Then they act like they are doing you a favor by extending your warranty...they have to warranty the repair anyway. Acting like it is a favor to you is just another platitude like them saying they are sorry or they understand. They are not sorry or they would fix the major issue before customers buy their product or at least fix the fridge when it breaks in a timely and responsive manner. If they understood anything they would do something about recurring issues. Don't be sorry, BE BETTER.

Original review: May 31, 2018

My wife and I went and bought a new Whirlpool 27 cubic foot French door fridge model WRF767SDEMO1 in 3-13-17 from Lowe's and I have all the paperwork. And on Monday the May-28-2018 it stopped making ice, so I called a repairman and he came out May-31-2018 and he said it was leaking gas and it cannot be FIXED and it is JUNK. He told me to, "Call Whirlpool and tell them you want a new one." I called Whirlpool and they are sending one of their repairmen out June -5- 2018 to check it and by that time I will lose everything in the fridge because it stopped working.

Original review: May 31, 2018

What a disaster! Within one year we had to repair the stove twice, the dishwasher and the fridge! Almost three years later, we are experiencing problems with two burners and with the fridge! The company does not stand behind its products. Avoid them.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Never have to worry about my extra freezer products. Keeps them at the correct temperature. Plenty of room on the shelves and on the door. A great asset for large families.

Original review: May 30, 2018

The space could be laid out a little better. The flimsy shelf is not real stable for foods or ice tray. Where the shelf 'locks' into the side wall is not deep enough to stabilize the shelf itself. The flat indentations in the bottom, where they meet the front, have an edge that makes properly cleaning the freezer a bit difficult.

Original review: May 26, 2018

This is a good size fridge/freezer with double doors 25.4 cu ft, it's given us good service for 13 yrs without any problems. My only complaint that I wish it was more quiet. (Whirlpool brand) double doors, ice maker w/ water and lights.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I bought a counter-depth French door refrigerator for our new build. I had to wait 6 months for delivery since it was on backorder. When it arrived a door was bent. Lowe's replaced it with a door that had a leaky ice maker. Ice and puddles of water intermittently appear on our new wood floor. Whirlpool's technician told us WE would be charged if they couldn't find the problem. Whirlpool rep confirmed. Also the manufacturer warranty began at purchase date instead of delivery date.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I have owned a French-door Whirlpool/Kenmore refrigerator for less than 3 years & all the lights start flashing fast when you open the doors. Anyone that knows anything about seizures know this can set one off. Turns out it's a common problem with the LED lights & you have to replace circuit board at over $100.00 for the part, plus you may have to have it installed. Best to stick with a $0.99 bulb you replace every 5 years.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I got the works; the stove, dishwasher and refrigerator. I cannot believe all the BS you got to do to baby these appliances. If I had designed this mess... I would not be selling it. Every one of the appliances has a issue... the oven takes a long time just to cook toast. I would send them all back... but from what I have been told this is it. They all suck! I sure wish I had my older appliances back. I see the city dump in their future! I got the black stainless. Believe me I am not happy at all. The repair people have already had to fix or replace parts and I have not had this stuff for 30 days yet.

Original review: May 15, 2018

"Stainless" steel rusted in under six months - Purchased all new Whirlpool kitchen appliances in March 2013. In July 2013 finish on both refrigerator doors and freezer door was covered with tiny rust spots. The finish was obviously defective. Contacted Whirlpool, sent photos and was told the damage was cosmetic and not covered by warranty since it didn't happen within 90 days of purchase. Ice make did not work right from day one. Finally paid to replace it myself and repairman said Whirlpool discontinued the style of ice maker I had because they had so many complaints.

Original review: May 12, 2018

We bought all new Whirlpool kitchen appliances in February of 2017. The French Door Refridgerator MRF993FIFM we purchased was a large side by side with a water/ice dispenser and freezer on the bottom. The concept of it is great, as it is very roomy. The problem is with the product quality and usability. We are a family of four with the youngest being twelve. We do not have to worry about rough little hands anymore. That being said there is a crack in the back of the plastic casing of one shelf, a crack in the freezer door, the seal doesn't connect on the dispenser side door, the slide out shelf in the freezer doesn't stay on its rollers and the main ice maker stopped working (which never worked properly either).

Also, and this is what bothers me the most, the glass on one of the shelves is sealed down so it cannot be cleaned under. But there is a small slit going all the way around that separates it from the plastic. Food is still seeping underneath and creating mold with no way to clean underneath! This was not an inexpensive refrigerator and we were not prepared to have these kinds of problems after a year. We are very unhappy with the quality of this product.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I have use different brands over the past 50 years and always come back to Whirlpool. It seem to meet my needs and last forever. I have bought new and use Whirlpool items and they work fine.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Had to have the motherboard replaced after 4+ years, the filters to the ice and water don't last long. If nothing else happens the next 5 years I'll be happy.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I have had my Whirlpool for 13 years. Never had to get it fixed. But it has worn out and now I have to buy a new one. I love the Whirlpool but I am going to try another brand. I like the stainless steel and that's what I'm looking into now.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I like Whirlpool, but the ice maker never worked right. Now l have to clean the ice off the dispenser about every three days. Other than that has been good. This is my third Whirlpool refrigerator.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Multiple issues with the Gold Series. Have lost two refrigerators full of food!!! First problem was ice on the back wall of the fridge. 2 years later refrigerator is not blowing cold air and it is only 4 years old!!! Terrible product!!

Original review: May 7, 2018

25.9 Whirlpool has been in use 15 months. No problems in performance. It has ice maker works great. The water filter has been lasting about 6 months and easy to change.

Original review: May 6, 2018

The Whirlpool side-by-side had the space and durability we had hoped for in the price range we shopped in. It lasted longer than the refrigerator it replaced.

Original review: May 6, 2018

The Whirpool refrigerator does exactly what it's intended to do. It has no ice maker or water dispenser and that's just what I needed. But the plastic produce drawers do have some cracks because the quality of the plastic is not the best.

Original review: May 6, 2018

The freezer has never been able to produce ice cubes, so, took the ice cube "maker" out, and bought plastic ice cube trays. Not what I paid for, but it’s cheaper than having to buy another fridge.

Original review: May 6, 2018

I would say that the Whirlpool refrigerator is overall satisfactory and a good product. The size accommodates our refrigerator needs. Would recommend product to my friends and family.

Original review: May 5, 2018

This refrigerator stopped working withing 2 weeks of delivery. Lost a great amount of food. It was a real hassle to get the warranty company out. Took several days. Now there are places on each shelf in the refrigerator where food freezes and I have to throw it out. I am not real happy with this.

Whirlpool expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Whirlpool is an American multinational manufacturer and marketer of home appliances that makes a number of different styles of refrigerators. The company manufactures refrigerators under a number of different brand names.

• Variety: Whirlpool offers a wide range of refrigerators of many different sizes and styles, such as French door, side-by-Side, top freezer and bottom freezer.

• Matching appliances: Whirlpool also makes a number of other kitchen appliances, such as stoves, microwaves, dishwashers and compactors so that homeowners can outfit their kitchens in matching appliances.

• Extended service plans: Whirlpool offers extended service plans that include 24/7 Toll-free call support, help from expert technicians and repair/replacement as needed.

• Eco-friendly and Energy Star-rated: Whirlpool devotes itself to reducing its global footprint and features products with low energy usage that are more eco-friendly than other refrigerators.

• Accessories: Whirlpool provides many refrigerator accessories, such as ice trays, shelving units, drawers, beverage containers and more.

• Best for: Homeowners looking for a reliable, high-quality refrigerator from a reputable company.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs