1.77/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 17, 2018

1357 Whirlpool Refrigerators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 17, 2018

Refrigerator ice maker quit working. This is replacement fridge for first refrigerator that quit working same model. This one has electrical burn marks inside behind a panel. Whirlpool says this is normal. How can burn marks inside a refrigerator be normal. If house or fridge catch on fire will be suing Whirlpool. Ice maker and water valve replaced. Still not working. Maybe it has to do with the burn marks.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I bought a new Whirlpool fridge that has been a piece of junk since the day I bought it. The minute the warranty expired. The thing broke down. The corporate service center was a joke. 15 min wait time just to get through. Then a runaround of misinformed referral numbers. Minimum charge $200/30 min just to have a service rep even look at it. And then $100/hour + parts after that. Highway robbery. My doctor doesn’t even charge me that much. I will never buy a piece of junk WP product ever again. Their customer service is rude and non-existent. The company does not stand behind its products. Don’t buy!

Get expert buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I purchased a #Whirlpool; 4.3 cu. ft. Mini Refrigerator Stainless Steel BC-127B from @Target. There was a delay putting it into service (6 mos), so the Target store warranty was expired. The unit remained in its factory shipped packaging until put in service, so nothing out of the ordinary there. After barely two weeks of use, the compressor died. I followed all instructions (including waiting 8-10 weeks) from Whirlpool, but still have not received a refund or been given any information beyond "we escalated it to our warranty team but haven't heard back yet." The unit was a poorly made piece of junk in other respects as well. There are dozens of complaints about precisely this - defective units - on any site. Do not be fooled by the dishonest way that #Target's website lists reviews. Dig deeper.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I purchased my Whirlpool Gold Series refrigerator from Lowe’s in Rockledge, FL. This was my third purchase after returning an LG Refrigerator as well as a Samsung refrigerator for having multiple defects! My Whirlpool Refrigerator purchased June 2014 has motherboard replaced that showed obvious evidence of factory board flaws when boards were manufactured. Top mounted ice maker drips so much water it fills my veggie draws with water ruining my food. Mold is present inside my ref now from constant leaks. Drawers were replaced by tech also due to ill-fitting design during first few months. Water will not dispense in door after one year, gave up using it. This is a horrible and very expensive appliance wrought with POOR DESIGN FLAWS.

WHIRLPOOL does not care about its consumers. Their engineers must be some of the worst in the world. Our old 70-year-old kerosene powered refer in the Bahamas is still making ice, yet most modern day refs are like buying cheap home computers that constantly need service to keep them running. It’s a lifetime investment with $89 first service visit to determine problems then weeks of waiting for parts and second visit for the repair to be completed until next electronic malfunction. DONT BUY A NEW WHIRLPOOL APPLIANCE. WAIT AS LONG AS YOU CAN FOR ALL THE CLASS ACTION LAWSUITS AGAINST WHIRLPOOL & Kitchenaid to play out.

Original review: April 7, 2018

When received there was a black dot on freezer door. It was replaced. Door handle on doors did not line up. Tried to tell repairman and he wouldn’t listen until the third handle on the refrigerator was replaced. Plastic handle broke three times when under warranty. Now freezer handle has broken! Plastic where screws attach handle is stupid. I’m extremely disappointed in product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: April 3, 2018

We purchase all Whirlpool appliances for our new house in Florida in late 2015 from Good Deals Appliances. First repair before 1 wk in-house was the dishwasher. Wires were not connected. Now it is the refrigerator (French door refrigerator model K44913210). We reached out where we purchase the appliances and they gave a number of repairman to connect. He came and told us the compressor & evaporator & valve needed replacement, We found that hard to believe that a 2-yr-old refrigerator needed all this repair. Called another repairman to hear same thing. We were also told this problem is so common with this model. Called Whirlpool. They sent a repairman out. Said same thing first two said. They are paying for parts but not labor. We were told by last repairman that this refrigerator hasn't worked from day one. Passed info to Whirlpool and no comment.

We paid a lot of money for an upgraded refrigerator to have it quit in 2 years. Totally not acceptable. On top of this the parts may not work for more than 2 years again. Okay Whirlpool who is going to pay for all the ice & dry ice, the other two repairmen that came. The repairman you sent was double the price of other 2 & will not come back till we pay. We will pass our experience with Whirlpool on to all friends and friends of friends.

Original review: March 30, 2018

We bought a whirlpool Refrigerator Model number FF 2D 425 3S/2016 on 26th April 2016 in Delhi. The freezer stopped working properly exactly 10 days after the warranty expired. When the mechanic was called from Whirlpool. We were told that PCB was not working. It's sad to see that you buy something so expensive and in less than 13 months this stops working. Well it was replaced by the company at a cost of 4000 RS and now after less than 12 months again that same part has stopped working. Terrible quality of product and the company takes no accountability of spare parts. They just shrug off saying what can we do. At least some expectation a consumer can have when he buys something so expensive.

Original review: March 17, 2018

We paid extra for a 10 year warranty on purchase from Airport Appliances. On delivery I commented that the plastic material used throughout the fridge was of very flimsy material and wobbly. In the first week the crisper drawer joint cracked to our amazement and they had to send another one from Whirlpool. In the 14th month after the Whirlpool warranty had expired, we found the pantry drawer lid/cover shattered by the door which shut on it because of no reasonable leeway provided in its design.

On calling the special warranty people they said they only covered the compressor and parts and nothing else. Called Whirlpool who quoted $85.00 for the lid, plus S&H and taxes. Now we have an eyesore every time we open the fridge when we see the taped up cracked three foot pantry drawer lid. We badly regret giving away a 25 year old perfectly working Whirlpool Workhorse Fridge and buy this newer model which we will have to live with for a quarter of a century. I am 75 years old now. Never a Whirlpool again!

Original review: March 17, 2018

Your Whirlpool French Door model # WRF993F1FM is a piece of junk... Had the fridge less than a year and had to have repairman come and fix it twice already... Would never buy Whirlpool Product again. Builds up ice in the refrigerator and then loses of most of the food in it. Leaks the water right onto the kitchen floor...really pitiful to spend more than 2000 dollars for a fridge that is a piece of junk.

Original review: March 14, 2018

We recently purchased a new Whirlpool refrigerator and washer/dryer set from Home Depot. The truck for delivery was late and unable to pick up the refrigerator in time for scheduled delivery. Whirlpool contacted us to inform that it was now on back order for another week claiming there was nothing else they could do. Strike one. We paid for the installation and kit for the washer and dryer set. The tech who delivered them claimed the kit was not correct and that he could not install the dryer. We contacted Home Depot, Whirlpool, and had Home Depot call Whirlpool on our behalf with no resolution. They will not refund the installation even though they didn’t install anything.

Whirlpool will not directly say whether or not they will send someone else out to actually install it this time. To top it off - I asked the Whirlpool rep which kit needs to be used and she told me whichever I want... for a gas hook up... whichever I want. This is ridiculous and Whirlpool has the worst customer service I have ever experienced. Side note - don’t waste time on the chat feature they provide. You will be directed back to the 800 number with 30 minute hold times. Horrible company!

Original review: March 13, 2018

November 4, 2017 we purchased a 2018 Tiffin RV with a Whirlpool 3-door refrigerator/freezer. We did not use the RV refrigerator until our first trip to Florida January 2018. Immediate problems with the freezer icing up on freezer door and icing up in the top 2 shelves of refrigerator. Milk, fruit, even cheese froze in the top of the refrigerator. Bottom freezer door froze so bad I had to yank on the drawer very hard to even get it open & chunks of ice would fall off the door on the floor outside once it opened. Called Whirlpool warranty service phone number two times 2/16/2018. I won't go into all the details but we were on hold for a 90 minutes and were transferred 7 times by the automated system. Talked to one person, Lindsey, who immediately transferred me again to RV Dept. No one ever answered. System kept saying, "Please wait." Then just disconnected and another recording came on saying to call back.

We did not after this fiasco! February 19, 2018 we called Tiffin MH & told them about the NO CUSTOMER SERVICE from Whirlpool. They told us to call Sears in Sebring, FL. We did. If we wanted Whirlpool service to bring the motorhome to them & the warranty only covered parts NOT labor or service calls. They did not want to work on it. March 13, 2018 We went to Tiffin MH Service in Red Bay, AL. Earl called Whirlpool tech, Steve, & tried to explain the problem. Steve told him he did not talk on speaker phone & told him very hatefully to put him on the private line.

Steve just very angrily insisting that Earl had him on speaker phone. I do not understand Whirlpool's Steve issue with being on speaker phone? Finally Earl got him to listen to our refrigerator problems as he stood there at the refrigerator going through each issue step-by-step. Steve said to put silicon in the seal & that Whirlpool WOULD NOT replace a 3 month old refrigerator that actually had only been used 2 months. We found out later Tiffin is going to replace the refrigerator.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Had the fridge 5 1/2 years. Freezer quit working was told by 2 different repairmen it would cost $800 to repair. Called Whirlpool, was on hold 45 minutes, literally, both times I called. They could not help me. Called the corporate complaint line. The man I talked to was such a smart **! I finally said "I cannot believe you are talking to me like this, I have bought Whirlpool for 35 years." He backed off slightly. Still couldn't help me. BTW, I LOVE my new Samsung refrigerator! Will NEVER buy Whirlpool again.

Original review: March 5, 2018

We bought all new Whirlpool Gold appliances for new house. Fridge stopped cooling within 8 months, placed warranty call, couldn't get to us for a couple weeks (this is in July). Was told everyone was having problems...so sent us a brand new fridge...happy!! Little over a year later started having problems with this one and was told no warranty, didn't transfer to new fridge and no one offered to sell us a new one at the time, so repairs were out of our pocket. Had new condenser installed, still no ice, had circuit board installed, got ice but refrigerator section isn't cooling after almost $700 out of pocket...don't waste your money on a Whirlpool. So disappointed.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Since purchasing original refrigerator 2 years ago I have multiple problems. Freezer was icing up to the point where drawers could not be opened, after numerous service calls, door was replaced which did not resolve problem. Refrigerator was replaced on warranty. Soon after light control circuit board had to be replaced. Next light control had to be recalibrated. Now, with the unit being approx. 1 yr old, rust spots are appearing on freezer door. Whirlpool rep advised this problem is not covered on warranty and would not provide any information as to what company contacts could be used to pursue the issue. Very upset and disappointed with product and customer service.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

We bought a dishwasher, stove and refrigerator last month. Dishwasher and stove work great, however the refrigerator is junk! The freezer part works great, but the refrigerator doesn't cool at all. The first time he was here the repair man said the seal on the door was bad and he glued it. He told us to not open the door for 48 hours then everything would be fine. IT WASN'T. A week and a half later he came back. He looked inside, scratched his head and told us, “This model should have the “deluxe” fan and I don't think it does!” Said he would be back in 6 days with the fan and we'll “see if that fixes it”.

I called Whirlpool service waited on hold for an hour before getting cut off. Called back waited 35 more minutes but actually got to speak to someone. The big solution... They offered me a 6 month extended warranty!!! I've lost an entire refrigerator full of food. Missed two days of work and am going to miss another when he brings the “deluxe” fan. Also been eating out all month and probably spent $100 buying ice. IE... MOST EXPENSIVE REFRIGERATOR EVER!!!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Have had a Whirlpool Side by Side Refrigerator since April, 2013. The ice maker broke about 2 months ago, and after several attempts with an authorized repairman, & $258.00 so far, it is still not working. Yesterday, he came with another authorized Whirlpool Serviceman, and they both agreed that it would be cheaper for me to buy a new refrigerator. REALLY??? What has happened to "quality" and pride of workmanship?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

3 months after I got the fridge, the ice maker went out. 3 months later it started to work again. Replace the water filters 2 times per yr. It is noisy when it makes ice.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Plastic inner shelving too flimsy, surface flaws and scratch, swipes too noticeable. Overall design a must something that does not show markings.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

OMG. We had just purchased a house in Clermont Fl. At Appliance Direct on Citrus Tower, worse experience. Imagine my husband and myself had recently retired. Therefore we wanted to make sure whatever we purchased was to last since it's not easy to replace anything on our fixed income. A few mos later the ice maker would make noise in the middle of the night and would not fill up completely. 1 yr it stopped making ice completely. We went to Appliance Direct only to find out that nothing could have been done. We purchased the extra warranty for approx 391 dollars. We then were told by Whirlpool that we would have to wait 60 days. The time came and the customer service now tells us that the breakdown happened the same month we purchased the warranty so we would have to pay ourselves to have it fixed. We went ahead and paid for the repair.

A few mos after the ice maker stopped again and the bottom freezer would not freeze anything. Our food spoiled etc. We called Whirlpool now that the warranty was now ok. We had to wait for an appointment with the company of their choice. The repairman came and stated that the part had to be ordered before we can get ice and freezer working. Waited almost 2 weeks for that. Repair done and soon after, like 4 days later we still didn't have ice. Called again, another company was sent... all over again we waited for 2 parts.. He assured us that we should be good. 2 mos now we're getting half capacity ice and freezer doesn't freeze everything. Ice cream is a no no.

So much money (2500 dollars) paid for that piece of junk. The repairman told us “forget about replacement, the company will send a repairman once a month if they have to“. It's frustrating and some days I wish I could just put it on the sidewalk for the garbage truck. I can't afford to go out and buy a new one (of course it would not be Whirlpool). In the meantime this company Whirlpool is making all this money from selling these junk. I am mad like hell and tell everyone to stay away from Whirlpool. I wish I'd purchased a Samsung instead. I could climb the top of a mountain and shout: Don't buy Whirlpool.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I love my Whirlpool refrigerator and all other Whirlpool products. Whirlpool is the only brand I ever buy. All my appliances are all Whirlpool and I would recommend the Whirlpool brand to everyone I know. They are very durable and great products.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I felt compelled to write this review, to sum it up NEVER buy ANY Whirlpool, KitchenAid etc brand. Nothing but the worst experience, it all started with a 5 year old Whirlpool fridge that stopped cooling, I called and they said they could send someone for like 200$ and that it does not guarantee it will be fixed. So I called an independent and he tried to refill the freon, but it was leaking behind the fridge in a section you cannot access because they want you to buy another one, so 5 year old fridge in the garbage and now to top it off, a KitchenAid knife set that is barely used, one of the big knives broke cutting a fruit, and good luck in any circumstance getting any customer service. SO NEVER AGAIN, TRUST ME AND PUT YOUR MONEY ELSEWHERE ON ANY OTHER COMPANY.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Whirlpool is an awesome fridge. There was plenty of room for everything. I loved the freezer part too. I would love to have another one because mine was in a fire in 2015. You will like Whirlpool.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

The ice maker broke down in three months and after the warranty repair it makes a lot of noise and the water does not come through. I will not recommend Whirlpool.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

In November 2016 I took delivery of a Whirlpool WRF757SDEE French door unit. One month later: In December 2016, it needed a new ice maker, as it never did fill the ice bucket and they were always melted together. Two months later: In February 2017, a thermal fuse had to be replaced—refrigerator compartment wasn’t cold enough. 8 months later, Aug 2017, it needed electronic circuit board replaced, as refrigerator compartment completely froze up. November 18, 2017 manufacturer's one year warranty expired. BUT, I HAD PURCHASED AN EXTENDED WARRANTY! 4 years from NSI Protection Plus (a joke, see my review.)

December 31, 2017: One year and one month after delivery, the unit stopped cooling completely. My local appliance store where I purchased sent out a tech and took it into the shop for diagnosis. They found the sealed system was kaput. Couldn’t get the temp below 67 degrees. My dealer was great and sent out a loaner after a week, and for almost 7 weeks they argued for a replacement with NSI Protection Plus. Finally on February 8, 2018, they threatened to take them to court and they paid $15 less than my purchase price. I’m out $189 for the “warranty,” $188.48 sales tax and $89.95 delivery. And I have to go buy another refrigerator. It won’t be a Whirlpool.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

The door on this model that I have needs a warning signal when it's accidentally left ajar. It is a french door model so the doors are very soft with gaskets and they don't close easily. Otherwise I like it; it fits in a small space.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I bought a Whirlpool gold model #GB2F-1DXW507 / k27711376 when we remodeled our kitchen in October 2012. After a couple months I noticed water on my floor, then in the bottom of the freezer. I called Lowe’s. They sent out a repairman. He said it was a flaw in the design and put the redesigned part in. When they delivered the fridge they changed the door to a left hand open and it was never right. After 2 years the ice maker stopped working. I just started buying ice. Today 5 years and 5 months later they said it will cost me almost $500.00 to fix the electric board and the Ice maker.

The fridge stopped working would not get cold. And the certified Whirlpool repairman said it was a very good looking fridge and he would fix it with a 90 day warranty on the genuine Whirlpool parts for almost $500.00. I said I wasn't a idiot. Why would I spend that kind of money for JUNK. After reading some reviews I think Whirlpool knows just what junk they are selling. I called and all they said was, “That's too bad. We will take it under advisement.” I bought mine 1st then 1 year later my sister and sister-in-law bought theirs. 3 fridges with all the same leaking issues. I hope they don't end up with all the same problems.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

This 29.5 cu foot fridge will not keep a steady temperature and it has had 5 Warranty visits in its first 3 months since new. It has had several Large components changed out including the Freezer door, water valves, electronic boards, gaskets, and more. I was NOT able to get it labeled as a "lemon" and returned to Lowe’s simply because I accepted Warranty work to be done in the first 30 days which then disables any chance to return the unit. If I had asked for it to be returned in the first 30 days with the First bad issues I could have. Now I am stuck with it and I dislike the fridge and will never buy another Whirlpool or any other appliance from Lowe’s.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I have had my refrigerator for a few years now. When I first purchased it, it was because of the brand and the looks. As far as performance it runs just as good as any other less expensive ones.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Bought From Lowe's in Liberty, Mo along with ext warranty so they ignore you if there is an issue and you are on your own with the warranty people. The 2 that came out were 'bottom of the barrel' as to knowledge of problem and how to repair it. Fridge runs fine - but freezer compartment developed crack right in front. Their solution was to stick a piece of what looks like shipping tape over the crack! I AM NOT HAPPY! Also contacted Whirlpool and they refuse to do anything! Next time, I will shop on Craigslist.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Model# WRF993FIFM00 SN K62921284. Bought it new. Less than a year old it stopped cooling. Lost 400 dollars of food. Repairman came out. Beat a new part in it because he said the company had a recall part to make it work. So I can assume Whirlpool is aware of this lemon but for some reason they don't care about it. Do not know why?

Whirlpool expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Whirlpool is an American multinational manufacturer and marketer of home appliances that makes a number of different styles of refrigerators. The company manufactures refrigerators under a number of different brand names.

• Variety: Whirlpool offers a wide range of refrigerators of many different sizes and styles, such as French door, side-by-Side, top freezer and bottom freezer.

• Matching appliances: Whirlpool also makes a number of other kitchen appliances, such as stoves, microwaves, dishwashers and compactors so that homeowners can outfit their kitchens in matching appliances.

• Extended service plans: Whirlpool offers extended service plans that include 24/7 Toll-free call support, help from expert technicians and repair/replacement as needed.

• Eco-friendly and Energy Star-rated: Whirlpool devotes itself to reducing its global footprint and features products with low energy usage that are more eco-friendly than other refrigerators.

• Accessories: Whirlpool provides many refrigerator accessories, such as ice trays, shelving units, drawers, beverage containers and more.

• Best for: Homeowners looking for a reliable, high-quality refrigerator from a reputable company.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs