2.31/5

1461 Whirlpool Refrigerators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

The Whirlpool refrigerator I ordered from Home Depot came to my house dented. I then had to get Maytag/Whirpool to send me the same model refrigerator which they then subsequently forgot to include the ice maker with the refrigerator. It has been nothing short of an act of Congress to get in touch with someone from their Customer Service department for them to send the ice maker that they forgot to include. I've had to call them at least 15 times to get them to resend the missing ice maker. Absolute nightmare. 10/10 will avoid buying Whirlpool in the future.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Whirlpool refrigerator is 2 years old and has LED lighting. Light went out in freezer and dimmed in refrigerator. Requires a technician to replace them with 3 hours of labor due to wiring. Total cost parts and labor $700. Whirlpool has a one year warranty and was unwilling to repair at their cost. Warning - do not purchase any refrigerator with LED lighting that requires a technician to replace the lights.

Get expert buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Purchased a Whirlpool double door refrigerator and within a year the freezer and refrigerator doors were severely out of line. Called repairman who said the "risers" were broken, they were plastic and needed to be replaced. We did that. The doors were again out of line so badly that you had to push the refrigerator door side hard to get it to close. Repairman came today and stated he would recommend ditching the refrigerator as the "risers" in the bottom of the refrigerator are made of plastic and will continue to break. He leveled the doors but stated that they will continue to become out of line again.

The repairman stated that this is a design defect in the Whirlpool refrigerator and he has replaced the risers in many of the refrigerators repeatedly. As if the refrigerator isn't enough, we own a Whirlpool Duet Washer and Dryer. Within 3 1/2 yrs the motherboard went bad in the washer and we had to replace it. The part and labor was almost $400. Whirlpool considered us a "valued" customer and offered us a comparable washer for $500 and they would take ours away for $20 extra. Only problem is that our original washer was $1,000 and the comparable was not as large as the one we had and did not have the stainless ours had.

All I can say is if we're "valued" customers I would wonder how they treat their less valued customers. All of this is to say that I will no longer purchase any Whirlpool products. Not only are the products below par but the customer service is non existent. They really do not care if they lose customers or not. They don't want to hear your woes about their appliances.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Near 3 years ago we purchased this side by side going by how good Whirlpool products are supposed to be. Recently the bottom freezer started frosting up and not clearing. Tried all suggestions in the manual. Could not find any information online. The manual was useless. I went online to Whirlpool support 3 different times asking for help. Never got a reply. The racket it made was driving us crazy. It short cycled since it was frosting up. Set up an appointment online. They got that correct and responded quickly. Go figure.

The tech came was very nice & professional. No warranty. Find out they only provide a one year warranty. That is absolutely nuts. A refrigerator should last 15 years with no major problems. Should not have needed a $500.00 extended warranty for a $1,300.00 refrigerator. Turned out 2 components needed replacing. Cost just over $400.00. Now we're worried it is going to fail again in who knows how long. Whirlpool used to be a respected brand. Never again will we buy a Whirlpool product. 1 year warranty show you they know how cheap they are building their products.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

8 until noon appointment, still no show, no call. Told me time was changed from 12 to three after I called them... But they never called me... It is now after one. Still not here. I not happy at all. Think all I have to do is wait for them??? Thanks Whirlpool for nothing... Still waiting.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

We purchased a Whirlpool refrigerator in December 2017. Since July 19 we have had the same problem with the refrigerator three times. The technicians don’t know how to fix it and Whirlpool refuses to replace it. The customer service rep was ignorant on the phone and could care less about a problem. Even though there is a lemon law they refuse to replace the refrigerator. We have to defrost the refrigerator every 2 to 3 weeks so will cool down again. Whirlpool is the worst company we have ever dealt with customer service wise. Lowe's will not do anything about it because it’s within the first year.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I purchased a Fridge/Freezer just over 4 years ago. It was an expensive one. The gas is gone and they cannot re-gas it. If I was told this when I was purchasing it I certainly would not have spent this money. I rang the concessional team. They would give me nothing towards a replacement as they had not one in stock, POOR Service for a big company. I am in business and this is not the way I would treat my customers. This has certainly turned me away from purchasing Whirlpool Products, despite having a industrial washing machine and Dryer. For the record, I had 2 servicemen to check it and they were most pleasant. It was beyond repair.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I bought this fridge in July of 2017. In December the Ice Maker quit, I called and they sent a tech out. The repair guy reset the ice maker and it made Ice. It functioned June and quit. They sent a new company that was a no-show, so I had to wait until July for the new company to come out. When they did, they replaced the ice maker. It worked for 10 days and quit. Same thing, replace the ice maker and this time quit about 30 days later. I called August 27th because the 4th Ice maker quit again. I was told by a supervisor that because they have used the same claim number it counts as one claim and does not fall under the Lemon Law. I did get the supervisor to admit that there are 2 claims in the system while under Warranty, but now it is on the extended warranty. Whirlpool is Garbage and I am here to tell everyone to STAY AWAY!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Having spent over RS 40000 on a so-called quality product one does not expect to spend nearly 20000 within the first two years of the purchase. 1. As soon as the warranty got over the PCB (costing 3000) broke down. 2. This replacement had a 3 MONTH warranty. Exactly after 9 months again the PCB breaks down along with leakage of gas. The service team asks us to buy a stabilizer to ensure that no such issues occur as they attribute these breakdowns to voltage fluctuations which are not of any precedence in Delhi. Also the product I am using was sold to me as a stabilizer-free working. 3. I made the suggested investments 4 months later the fan and motor of the freezer stop working. Imagine so much repair work on a new equipment. I have been writing to them yet all that they say in response is we are looking into the matter. NO ONE SHOULD BUY WHIRLPOOL REFRIGERATORS.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

The LED light module went bad on my Whirlpool refrigerator just under a year after I bought it. They did do the warranty repair, but of course spent a lot of time trying to sell me an extended warranty in the process. And it's probably a good idea in a sense, since it's sure to fail in some other way soon -- or in the same way with a new module. But really I just need to find a new brand to replace Whirlpool (and Maytag -- same company). They used to make quality goods, but those days are long over. I have a new Maytag washer whose agitator broke off after six months.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I called and emailed Whirlpool because the water dispenser drips all over the front of the fridge and floor. They had the nerve to tell me to use a cup for the problem and there was nothing they could do. They were no help with this problem.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

After having 7 refrigerators breakdown all for the exact same exact reason, a $12 part, Whirlpool will only take the stance that you could have bought the extended warranty. So they're happy with you spending $150 each time the repair guy comes out. 7 refrigerators all for the same reason and they're only 3 years old. Do you really want to purchase a Whirlpool product after that? We are a development that has furnished are condos with Whirlpool but will no longer.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I purchased a $3500 refrigerator which totally quit working within the first 3 weeks. It took 2 weeks to get it fixed... Fast forward almost 2 years. I've had the fridge dump water in my floor every 3-4 weeks. 4 repairmen, 3 repairs... nothing was ever fixed. Even though I purchased an extended warranty, Whirlpool will no longer repair my 23 month old refrigerator. They are offering an exchange (32 cubic ft. down to 27 or 28----comparable??? absolutely not!!). Horrible service. I have to sit on hold for 45 minutes to an hour just to speak to a person. Another hour to deal with the extended warranty. I will never ever purchase anything with the Whirlpool name. I have other appliances and I'm not happy with the performance of any of them. Dryer won't dry. Dishwasher leaves dried soap after 3 hour wash. Washing machine leaves soap on my dark clothes... And it goes on and on.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Bought a home with a Whirlpool WRF540CWBM01 french door refrigerator circa Oct 2016. The unit stopped freezing/cooling and the appliance guy replaced a relay and this did not help. I called Whirlpool to check on the warranty, only 1 year. Then, I called the extended warranty and they wanted $342 for 1 year and $567 for 3 year but wanted 60 days before this would go into effect. Hmm, wait 2 months w/out a working fridge, great idea. So, after 2 short years the compressor failed and nobody will attempt this job and cost is too high. Had to buy a new GE fridge w/ a 5-year parts/labor covering this type of issue. Whirlpool needs to fix these issues. Very disappointed.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Worst appliance we have ever bought. Our last fridge (also stainless french door) we had for about 14 or 15 years and only the door bins cracked that we put gallon milk jugs in (don't do it - they are too heavy and get warm from the door opening). This fridge is a piece of junk. We were told it was stainless - rust spots started appearing the first year. The deli drawer lid broke within a month or two, but I didn't care about that so I just threw it away. The ice machine stopped working a little after the first year.

Today however is what got me to write a review - I spent a couple of hours trying to duct tape and make wood supports to hold up the frame for the produce drawers - one of which is totally cracked when it fell from having the support break. While doing this I noticed there are hairline cracks on the front of all 4 of the shelves! Also, this one has a wire basket in the bottom instead of a full drawer - probably more supportive, but it means stuff constantly falls into the bottom of the fridge and it is extremely hard to get in there to clean.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I purchased two Whirlpool refrigerators 9 years ago and this year, 2018, both of them died. Bad compressors that cost up to $700 to replace. Repair folks would not guarantee them as there could also be other issues, like leaks in the internal parts of the refrigerator. I have a 20 year old frig (Kenmore) in my garage than runs great, no repairs and is in a non heated area. My conclusion is that that Whirpool reduced cost by making cheap products.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Whirlpool French Door Plus 3 drawers: This MSRP $3400 refrigerator has great features. Great ice makers. No issues up top. First 18 months were great. 4 repairs in the past 11 months. All freezer temp issues. We had noticed a number of ice sparkles forming on our unopened food. Frozen fruit was mushy. Temp usually read 0 degrees. One day I opened it and the temp was 40. Two hours later, it was close to 0. I started monitoring it closely. High temperatures occurred around noon. Zero degrees most of the time. After the third repair, service tech called Whirlpool and found part was redesigned. New part didn’t help. We understand the freezer has a heater in it, to defrost. The heater stays on too long. That explains why the freezer temp went as high as 50 degrees, while the fridge was perfect.

I purchased this at Lowe's. I always buy Lowe's extended warranties. Thankfully, they bought back my 30 month old refrigerator. Kudos to Lowe's warranty company. Never put on long holds. Fast response. I noticed the price for the warranty on refrigerators in this price range has increased by $100. Reflects a lot of repairs on refrigerator models. One thing though. I learned 3 repairs within a 30 day period is considered one repair, for purposes of their lemon policy. I will also add that the warranty company reimburses you 50% of the cost of filters. Simple process. I have read complaints that they make it too difficult to collect. That is just not true. Have been reimbursed $100 for filters to date. In 5 years, Even at the increased price, the savings will pay for the warranty. No brainer.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I purchased my Whirlpool refrigerator 8 months ago model # WRF560SEXM which is less than a year old and already I'm experiencing problems already. I have owned several refrigerators in the past which were older models and less sophisticated, and all of them lasted well over 10 years with no major issues, so to buy a new refrigerator through Whirlpool and have it malfunction in less than a year is unacceptable. Customers deserves better than this especially at these prices.

My malfunction occurred when my ice maker stopped working and the internal temperature stopped working altogether, which caused all my food to spoil which had to replaced which was very expensive which infuriated me more and because my service appointment was a week away. I LITERALLY had to order out for food and purchase ice. And if this happens again I will have replace food and order food out again. WHIRLPOOL don't realize the impact this has on its customers. I would definitely not recommend their refrigerators EVER!!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

When renovating my kitchen I went with all Whirlpool appliance. I have nothing but trouble with my fridge. About a year old we had to replace the motherboard at our expense. After having that done, about 6 months later I had to defrost it so it would work again. Now it has to be done every month. All they say we can book another service call at my expense again. All I say thank goodness I kept my old Frigidaire. It saved me more than once. So my advice is stay away from Whirlpool. They don't stand behind their products from my experience.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Do not purchase (Whirlpool products). Discuss guarantees with salespeople when purchasing! They are total sham and in fact borderline fraud! Purchased $5,000 dollar KitchenAid fridge only to have it breakdown after only 8 months. What they don't tell you is instead of recalling a product they give their repair personnel what's called a "notice" which means they know there are issues with their products!

After much discussion and trying to return the product to no avail, I was told very adamantly my fridge would need to break down another additional 2 times before my fridge would be replaced with a new fridge. Forget about the cost of your food inside the fridge, they don't care! Just beware that their warranties and parts and labour are a complete and utter joke! My advice after much research if you can afford it buy "Miele" or "Subzero" product. It's more expensive but a lot less headaches in the long run! I've eaten the cost of my KitchenAid appliance and went with a Subzero fridge. Don't believe the higher pressure sales pitch from salesman. You're best to call a repairman and ask what he's fixing more often than not and 9/10 times he will tell you Whirlpool product! Customer service is a complete circus and gong show. You'll get further ahead talking to a donkey!!! Buyer beware! Whirlpool Canada/USA is a joke!!! Don't say I didn't warn ya!!!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

My wife and I spent about $2500 on a new Whirlpool Dutch Door fridge five years ago. 18 months later the evaporator went out and the warranty was only good for one year! We bought an extended warranty, got it fixed and the other evaporator went out less than a year later after that! Next, the circuit board control on the crisper went out. Then, the water filter would not disengage and a repairman had to take the fridge apart just to put in a new filter! And now, the ice-maker has gone out and the fan is icing up like another evaporator is going... Insane! Our warranty is up next year. Once the warranty ends we will start shopping for another unit - and it won't be a Whirlpool - that's for sure. I have never owned anything this unreliable in my entire life! Also, I would say most of the time we have owned this piece of you-know-what it has made a loud disturbing fan noise... What a waste of good money! Run! Run far, far away!!!

Original review: July 24, 2018

WHIRLPOOL REFRIGERATOR MODEL WRF532SMBM01 FRENCH DOOR - Gasket in refrigerator door totally cracked in bottom part and torn on the side only after 2 years and one month of use. I have another Whirlpool refrigerator for 7 years without gasket failure. My other 3 previous refrigerators which I have owned more than 10 years. Each also never had any problems.

Original review: July 21, 2018

We got a french door Whirlpool refrigerator about 15 months ago. Model Wrf757sdem01. There were problems from day one. Serviced about 6 times by 3 different companies... Died again less than 2 weeks ago. Finally the store decided to replace it. Was under an extended warranty. We have been without a fridge for over 10 days. It has caused multiple problems for us as we are out in the country. We have to haul ice to 4 coolers... Wait on the new one (a Whirlpool). Plumber had to be called in and he has had 3 of this same model replaced! Years ago you could trust Whirlpool. Now apparently not. I hope we do not have to regret our replacement one which still is not installed! By the way the water filters have to be replaced to the tune of 100.00 a year. We are not going to use an icemaker or get water from the new one.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Three Whirlpool fridges in 5 years. 1. Fridge one three doors replaced still not satisfactory, returned, warranty VOID. 2. Fridge two simply stopped being cold therefore not working 100+ food wasted before year. 3. Fridge three freezer leaking all over floor. Two years old 0 warranty left. I now pay again to repair. I am so beyond WHIRLPOOL PRODUCTS and so fuming??? Mad. $$$. 1300.00 to 1500.00 purchases ALL JUNK. NEVER WILL I PURCHASE ANOTHER WHIRLPOOL product. I do own a full file of continuous complaints. Brault & Martineau store Gatineau did the best to help with exchanges, sent repair man who did nothing. Will not deal with them again either.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Our previous Whirlpool fridge failed prematurely and had to be replaced. We purchased a new Whirlpool bottom freezer fridge from The Brick, exact same model; as my wife liked the model layout. The new fridge arrived DOA. Fans run but the compressor doesn't run. I guess Whirlpool doesn't test anything, they just build and ship... Take your money and let the customer fix it.

Original review: July 12, 2018

This refrigerator (Model #wrf560seymoo, Serial # VS31343718) was new in April 2013. In the last 3 years it has required 3 service repairs. Two under the extended warranty, one recent one 3 months out of warranty. All repairs came up in the last 3 years. The first repair addressed frost build up in the freezer. The second required replacement of the water filter compartment and the third will be addressing water dripping from the freezer door when I open it. Even after turning off the ice maker and removing the frozen puddle from the bottom of the freezer, it still drips water when I open the door. I have a call into service on this right now. I would like the company to fix the current issue even though it is outside of warranty. This product is too new to have so many problems and be just over 5 years old.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I bought a new Whirlpool refrigerator from Sears and within a month the refrigerator side did not maintain temperature where milk would not spoil... Cool but never cold. I called Sears and they said it's Whirlpool warranty to contact them. This I did and about a week later they contacted a local service company they use to maintain their equipment... Long story short this will be the 4th time they were informed the refrigerator still doesn't maintain temperature... Food had to be thrown out because of that.

I asked them to refund me my cost or at minimum get a working refrigerator to me because after 4 attempts at trying to fix the problem it still exists... They just want to keep sending a repairman out there who still can't figure out the problem and that has cost me much time away from work not the mention the spoiled food costs... Even when complaining my dilemma to the repairman he said, "All they will do is keep calling us and kick the can down the road..." They could care less about what it has cost me in time and money... I had to give 1 star to this company but they don't deserve even that one... Don't waste you time thinking a warranty by them is worth a flip and now over 3 months I'm without a refrigerator...

Original review: July 9, 2018

Bought two small wine cellars from Pacific Sales. Right about after one year, one of them stopped working - making terrible noises and not cooling. Tried to call the company since it is out of Pacific Sales warranty period and it is impossible to get through and to get my issue resolved. It is out of warranty (purchased in late 2015) and it seems that the life expectancy of this appliance is a little over a year. I gave up calling the Whirlpool and decided to share my experience here. I hope they might pay attention and reach me after this review - I would appreciate it very much. It is annoying to have paid a lot just to have it working for 12 month.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I have had an extremely frustrating experience with Whirlpool refrigerator WRT311. It broke after 6 months. So far it has been diagnosed twice with a faulty compressor and leaking coolant. Whirlpool will (seemingly) never replace an appliance--even if it makes no sense to keep trying to fix it. This is a $600 refrigerator! I can't imagine how much they have spent in repair costs. They simply send a service tech time after time, jerking the consumer around with no regard for what we have to go through to arrange 6 tech visits, some of them multiple hours long. Yes, we have had six tech visits, for a total of 10+ hours, and six weeks living with a broken refrigerator. As well as 30+ phone calls, hours on hold, etc.

The refrigerator is loudly throbbing away after being refilled with coolant twice, and is still leaking coolant. Are they hoping the customer just gives up and buys a new appliance on their own? I wonder about the many positive reviews of their appliances: Are they fake? Are they churned out by Whirlpool? I have no confidence in this company. They are inept, if not crooked, and I would advise buyers to beware of poor quality and extremely poor warranty and consumer service.

Original review: July 9, 2018

Bought a Whirlpool fridge (WRF560SFHZ) 3.5 years old not cheap! Suddenly one day, the freezer drawer cannot close properly. Since it broke down on a long weekend, I have to wait 3 days in order to contact Whirlpool customer services. And then wait for another 4 days for them to send a technician. The technician advised it is a screw on the rail fall down and he fixed it and charged as 115CAD repairing fee (for a loose screw). He said it is a product defect from Whirlpool and that we should call Whirlpool to ask for a refund.

Of course after a long wait from the hotline, Whirlpool refused to refund, saying that, "It is not within warranty period and it is perfectly normal that you paid for 17** CAD fridge and can only used for 3,5 years and that things happens (screw can get loose)." The service rep. even said, "You bought it, it is your property now..." And they don't care you have to throw away food in the freezer since the door cannot be closed. And of course they refuse to admit that the product has an inherent defect... Will never buy this brand ever again!

Whirlpool expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Whirlpool is an American multinational manufacturer and marketer of home appliances that makes a number of different styles of refrigerators. The company manufactures refrigerators under a number of different brand names.

• Variety: Whirlpool offers a wide range of refrigerators of many different sizes and styles, such as French door, side-by-Side, top freezer and bottom freezer.

• Matching appliances: Whirlpool also makes a number of other kitchen appliances, such as stoves, microwaves, dishwashers and compactors so that homeowners can outfit their kitchens in matching appliances.

• Extended service plans: Whirlpool offers extended service plans that include 24/7 Toll-free call support, help from expert technicians and repair/replacement as needed.

• Eco-friendly and Energy Star-rated: Whirlpool devotes itself to reducing its global footprint and features products with low energy usage that are more eco-friendly than other refrigerators.

• Accessories: Whirlpool provides many refrigerator accessories, such as ice trays, shelving units, drawers, beverage containers and more.

• Best for: Homeowners looking for a reliable, high-quality refrigerator from a reputable company.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs