2.02/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1473 Whirlpool Refrigerators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Do not buy anything Whirlpool makes. I purchased a new home and new appliances. In less than 4 years motor is gone in dishwasher. 6 weeks later I have another leak that has ruined my hardwood floors. My fridge is making all sorts of weird noises and alarm is going off. They are coming to ‘look’ tomorrow. And my washing machine is no longer draining. Whichever you buy from check how the extended warranty works... Trail Appliances Calgary uses a company that is horrific to work with, doesn't have a human to talk to and won't acknowledge you unless you pay $149 upfront. RUN AWAY!!!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I Wish I had reviewed this refrigerator sooner. I bought a Whirlpool side by side refrigerator with ice and water dispenser in the door in 2016. Problem #1: Water leaks from the water dispenser and dribbles down the front of the door. I am as vigilant as I can be about wiping up the spills, but over time it has left a water stain. Stainless steel is not stainless! Problem #2: The freezer is too narrow. Too many frozen items that come packaged in boxes have to be wedged into it or stood on end. Problem #3: Ice cubes sometimes randomly drop out of the dispenser and melt on my hardwood floor. Problem #4: Even though the water is filtered, mineral deposits have built upon the well that collects the drips and I have yet to find any product that cleans it. It looks horrible and filthy. If I'd had any idea how awful this appliance would look after just a couple of years, I would have been in contact with Whirlpool immediately.

Get expert buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

We bought a Whirlpool side by side at the end of August 2017. In March of 2018 - the day after I got the letter about extending my warranty - they had to replace the diffuser - it was making a horrid noise and freezing my eggs and milk. This part went again in July. I insisted they extend my warranty which they did - until March 2019. The part went again in November. I again demanded an extension - now it is guaranteed until June 2019. I asked about replacement and was told that as long as it was reparable they would not replace it. This part is dying every four months. The first few times I called, the hold recording touted a repair app - that did not give me much confidence in the company.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Just bought Whirlpool refrigerator, stove, and dishwasher. So far, the icemaker doesn't work and so I have no water or ice in the fridge. After four visits from Lowe's it is still not resolved. Going on since 11/16/18. After waiting three weeks, the dishwasher came, and lo and behold - it doesn't work. Now I have to wait for one to be ordered! TAKE A WORD OF ADVICE - WHIRLPOOL ISN'T WHAT IT USED TO BE. DON'T BUY IT!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Purchased Model WRB322DMBM on 6-30-18 from Lowe's. Within two months both doors had surface rust breaking through. Called Whirlpool and registered the problem. Since Nov 1, 2018 nothing has been done about the doors. The service rep cannot get through to make his report. Whirlpool not responsive. I would not recommend any major Whirlpool appliance.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

We bought a 20.5 cubic ft Whirlpool refrigerator. 2 months later it started cutting off, and on in a constant repeated cycle then run normal for a while. We had 2 Whirlpool repair appointments. The first guy said he couldn't come fix it unless it was acting up while he was here which was a intermittent issue. Refrigerators don't perform on cue. The 2nd guy came out after the first guy messed around long enough for the warranty to expire. We went ahead, and replaced the startup relay (most common problem). He replaced the control board, and wire harness. He said if that didn't fix it he didnt know what else to do. 2 hours after he left the fridge was right back to doing the same thing. He failed to report back to Whirlpool that the fridge couldn't be repaired.

We contacted customer service, and their resolution was to get another repairman to come out, and replace the control board which had already been replaced. In the end they bailed on us, and left us stuck with a broke refrigerator, and we had to buy a new one ourselves. I might add it was not a Whirlpool. They spent $471 trying to fix a broken fridge, and wanted to send another repairman (another $100) to fix a $629 refrigerator how does that make any sense. It was a very disappointing experience, and Whirlpool should be ashamed.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I bought a Whirlpool refrigerator in April. The motor ran constantly. The company replaced it for me but it was back ordered until July. The one delivered in July kept freezing the items in my refrigerator. I had two service people come out to replace parts in the next couple of months. The entire time having to throw out frozen food. Finally, they had another one delivered in November. This one continues to freeze food in the refrigerator. Mind you, I just got it and they want to start again with service. Seems others are having the same issues. My 4 month old gas oven is also not broiling. Customer service is awful. Every time I call the wait time is over an hour and then they don’t really help. I would not recommended Whirlpool to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Bought this refrigerator in June 2018. Had issues with freezer section and service technician came July 19. Issue was resolved but only temporarily. Had another technician come in Oct 3 and was told he had to order a new freezer drawer which should take 3 days. Now being told the drawer won’t arrive until Nov 15. You call that service? It would have taken less time to get a new refrigerator. I would never recommend buying Whirlpool products to anyone. What’s the point in buying a product that you can’t get proper service on.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I'm a member of Costco. I trusted that they will sell me a decent refrigerator, wrong! I bought a French Door refrigerator by Whirlpool on March 2018. It freezes my food on the left compartment and on the middle compartment. I called since it's under the one year warranty. They came 8 times already and changed parts and promised me every time they came that this will resolved the problem... still the same. I have been in the phone with Whirlpool for one hour and a half for 5 times and they still want to do more tests. I will never buy another Whirlpool unit again! Costco should be ashamed of selling this brand! And they should paid for this also.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

My new fridge is extremely hard to open. The technician that was sent out told me that there is too much suction building up inside the fridge and freezer and that is why it has to be yanked to open. This is not only annoying it means the fridge is constantly being pulled forward out of place. Technician's solution was to deactive the castors under the fridge. At the time he was here I did not realize that I could then no longer move the fridge out of its place to clean. I called Whirlpool and complained and was told that they could do nothing more for me because "the fridge is in good working order". I hardly would call this "good working order". They also informed me that if I wished to clean under the fridge or the coils at the back it would require a service call to move the fridge and I WOULD BE CHARGED EACH TIME. Needless to say I AM VERY, VERY UNHAPPY WITH THE WHOLE SITUATION.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Eleven months after purchasing a Whirlpool refrigerator for our office lunch room it stopped working. While the refrigerator was still under warranty, I called Whirlpool for a service call. I was informed that the warranty is voided because the unit is located at a business and not a residential property. I explained to the customer service agent that there is no mention of this policy until after the appliance is purchased. After a considerable amount of time on the phone speaking with several supervisors, I was connected to a "Resolution Specialist". She informed me that this policy is available online for consumers to view prior to purchasing Whirlpool appliances and it is the consumer's "Due Diligence" to research warranty policies before purchasing. Consumers beware! Warranties are voided on all Whirlpool appliances that are located at a business address.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

After having our refrigerator for a few months we noticed rust on every stainless steel panel on the front of the unit (6). After customer service sent a technician to look at the unit nothing more was done. I was just told to try and scrub the rust off.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

The Whirlpool refrigerator I ordered from Home Depot came to my house dented. I then had to get Maytag/Whirpool to send me the same model refrigerator which they then subsequently forgot to include the ice maker with the refrigerator. It has been nothing short of an act of Congress to get in touch with someone from their Customer Service department for them to send the ice maker that they forgot to include. I've had to call them at least 15 times to get them to resend the missing ice maker. Absolute nightmare. 10/10 will avoid buying Whirlpool in the future.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Whirlpool refrigerator is 2 years old and has LED lighting. Light went out in freezer and dimmed in refrigerator. Requires a technician to replace them with 3 hours of labor due to wiring. Total cost parts and labor $700. Whirlpool has a one year warranty and was unwilling to repair at their cost. Warning - do not purchase any refrigerator with LED lighting that requires a technician to replace the lights.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Purchased a Whirlpool double door refrigerator and within a year the freezer and refrigerator doors were severely out of line. Called repairman who said the "risers" were broken, they were plastic and needed to be replaced. We did that. The doors were again out of line so badly that you had to push the refrigerator door side hard to get it to close. Repairman came today and stated he would recommend ditching the refrigerator as the "risers" in the bottom of the refrigerator are made of plastic and will continue to break. He leveled the doors but stated that they will continue to become out of line again.

The repairman stated that this is a design defect in the Whirlpool refrigerator and he has replaced the risers in many of the refrigerators repeatedly. As if the refrigerator isn't enough, we own a Whirlpool Duet Washer and Dryer. Within 3 1/2 yrs the motherboard went bad in the washer and we had to replace it. The part and labor was almost $400. Whirlpool considered us a "valued" customer and offered us a comparable washer for $500 and they would take ours away for $20 extra. Only problem is that our original washer was $1,000 and the comparable was not as large as the one we had and did not have the stainless ours had.

All I can say is if we're "valued" customers I would wonder how they treat their less valued customers. All of this is to say that I will no longer purchase any Whirlpool products. Not only are the products below par but the customer service is non existent. They really do not care if they lose customers or not. They don't want to hear your woes about their appliances.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Near 3 years ago we purchased this side by side going by how good Whirlpool products are supposed to be. Recently the bottom freezer started frosting up and not clearing. Tried all suggestions in the manual. Could not find any information online. The manual was useless. I went online to Whirlpool support 3 different times asking for help. Never got a reply. The racket it made was driving us crazy. It short cycled since it was frosting up. Set up an appointment online. They got that correct and responded quickly. Go figure.

The tech came was very nice & professional. No warranty. Find out they only provide a one year warranty. That is absolutely nuts. A refrigerator should last 15 years with no major problems. Should not have needed a $500.00 extended warranty for a $1,300.00 refrigerator. Turned out 2 components needed replacing. Cost just over $400.00. Now we're worried it is going to fail again in who knows how long. Whirlpool used to be a respected brand. Never again will we buy a Whirlpool product. 1 year warranty show you they know how cheap they are building their products.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

8 until noon appointment, still no show, no call. Told me time was changed from 12 to three after I called them... But they never called me... It is now after one. Still not here. I not happy at all. Think all I have to do is wait for them??? Thanks Whirlpool for nothing... Still waiting.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

We purchased a Whirlpool refrigerator in December 2017. Since July 19 we have had the same problem with the refrigerator three times. The technicians don’t know how to fix it and Whirlpool refuses to replace it. The customer service rep was ignorant on the phone and could care less about a problem. Even though there is a lemon law they refuse to replace the refrigerator. We have to defrost the refrigerator every 2 to 3 weeks so will cool down again. Whirlpool is the worst company we have ever dealt with customer service wise. Lowe's will not do anything about it because it’s within the first year.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I purchased a Fridge/Freezer just over 4 years ago. It was an expensive one. The gas is gone and they cannot re-gas it. If I was told this when I was purchasing it I certainly would not have spent this money. I rang the concessional team. They would give me nothing towards a replacement as they had not one in stock, POOR Service for a big company. I am in business and this is not the way I would treat my customers. This has certainly turned me away from purchasing Whirlpool Products, despite having a industrial washing machine and Dryer. For the record, I had 2 servicemen to check it and they were most pleasant. It was beyond repair.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I bought this fridge in July of 2017. In December the Ice Maker quit, I called and they sent a tech out. The repair guy reset the ice maker and it made Ice. It functioned June and quit. They sent a new company that was a no-show, so I had to wait until July for the new company to come out. When they did, they replaced the ice maker. It worked for 10 days and quit. Same thing, replace the ice maker and this time quit about 30 days later. I called August 27th because the 4th Ice maker quit again. I was told by a supervisor that because they have used the same claim number it counts as one claim and does not fall under the Lemon Law. I did get the supervisor to admit that there are 2 claims in the system while under Warranty, but now it is on the extended warranty. Whirlpool is Garbage and I am here to tell everyone to STAY AWAY!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Having spent over RS 40000 on a so-called quality product one does not expect to spend nearly 20000 within the first two years of the purchase. 1. As soon as the warranty got over the PCB (costing 3000) broke down. 2. This replacement had a 3 MONTH warranty. Exactly after 9 months again the PCB breaks down along with leakage of gas. The service team asks us to buy a stabilizer to ensure that no such issues occur as they attribute these breakdowns to voltage fluctuations which are not of any precedence in Delhi. Also the product I am using was sold to me as a stabilizer-free working. 3. I made the suggested investments 4 months later the fan and motor of the freezer stop working. Imagine so much repair work on a new equipment. I have been writing to them yet all that they say in response is we are looking into the matter. NO ONE SHOULD BUY WHIRLPOOL REFRIGERATORS.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

The LED light module went bad on my Whirlpool refrigerator just under a year after I bought it. They did do the warranty repair, but of course spent a lot of time trying to sell me an extended warranty in the process. And it's probably a good idea in a sense, since it's sure to fail in some other way soon -- or in the same way with a new module. But really I just need to find a new brand to replace Whirlpool (and Maytag -- same company). They used to make quality goods, but those days are long over. I have a new Maytag washer whose agitator broke off after six months.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I called and emailed Whirlpool because the water dispenser drips all over the front of the fridge and floor. They had the nerve to tell me to use a cup for the problem and there was nothing they could do. They were no help with this problem.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

After having 7 refrigerators breakdown all for the exact same exact reason, a $12 part, Whirlpool will only take the stance that you could have bought the extended warranty. So they're happy with you spending $150 each time the repair guy comes out. 7 refrigerators all for the same reason and they're only 3 years old. Do you really want to purchase a Whirlpool product after that? We are a development that has furnished are condos with Whirlpool but will no longer.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I purchased a $3500 refrigerator which totally quit working within the first 3 weeks. It took 2 weeks to get it fixed... Fast forward almost 2 years. I've had the fridge dump water in my floor every 3-4 weeks. 4 repairmen, 3 repairs... nothing was ever fixed. Even though I purchased an extended warranty, Whirlpool will no longer repair my 23 month old refrigerator. They are offering an exchange (32 cubic ft. down to 27 or 28----comparable??? absolutely not!!). Horrible service. I have to sit on hold for 45 minutes to an hour just to speak to a person. Another hour to deal with the extended warranty. I will never ever purchase anything with the Whirlpool name. I have other appliances and I'm not happy with the performance of any of them. Dryer won't dry. Dishwasher leaves dried soap after 3 hour wash. Washing machine leaves soap on my dark clothes... And it goes on and on.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Bought a home with a Whirlpool WRF540CWBM01 french door refrigerator circa Oct 2016. The unit stopped freezing/cooling and the appliance guy replaced a relay and this did not help. I called Whirlpool to check on the warranty, only 1 year. Then, I called the extended warranty and they wanted $342 for 1 year and $567 for 3 year but wanted 60 days before this would go into effect. Hmm, wait 2 months w/out a working fridge, great idea. So, after 2 short years the compressor failed and nobody will attempt this job and cost is too high. Had to buy a new GE fridge w/ a 5-year parts/labor covering this type of issue. Whirlpool needs to fix these issues. Very disappointed.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Worst appliance we have ever bought. Our last fridge (also stainless french door) we had for about 14 or 15 years and only the door bins cracked that we put gallon milk jugs in (don't do it - they are too heavy and get warm from the door opening). This fridge is a piece of junk. We were told it was stainless - rust spots started appearing the first year. The deli drawer lid broke within a month or two, but I didn't care about that so I just threw it away. The ice machine stopped working a little after the first year.

Today however is what got me to write a review - I spent a couple of hours trying to duct tape and make wood supports to hold up the frame for the produce drawers - one of which is totally cracked when it fell from having the support break. While doing this I noticed there are hairline cracks on the front of all 4 of the shelves! Also, this one has a wire basket in the bottom instead of a full drawer - probably more supportive, but it means stuff constantly falls into the bottom of the fridge and it is extremely hard to get in there to clean.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I purchased two Whirlpool refrigerators 9 years ago and this year, 2018, both of them died. Bad compressors that cost up to $700 to replace. Repair folks would not guarantee them as there could also be other issues, like leaks in the internal parts of the refrigerator. I have a 20 year old frig (Kenmore) in my garage than runs great, no repairs and is in a non heated area. My conclusion is that that Whirpool reduced cost by making cheap products.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Whirlpool French Door Plus 3 drawers: This MSRP $3400 refrigerator has great features. Great ice makers. No issues up top. First 18 months were great. 4 repairs in the past 11 months. All freezer temp issues. We had noticed a number of ice sparkles forming on our unopened food. Frozen fruit was mushy. Temp usually read 0 degrees. One day I opened it and the temp was 40. Two hours later, it was close to 0. I started monitoring it closely. High temperatures occurred around noon. Zero degrees most of the time. After the third repair, service tech called Whirlpool and found part was redesigned. New part didn’t help. We understand the freezer has a heater in it, to defrost. The heater stays on too long. That explains why the freezer temp went as high as 50 degrees, while the fridge was perfect.

I purchased this at Lowe's. I always buy Lowe's extended warranties. Thankfully, they bought back my 30 month old refrigerator. Kudos to Lowe's warranty company. Never put on long holds. Fast response. I noticed the price for the warranty on refrigerators in this price range has increased by $100. Reflects a lot of repairs on refrigerator models. One thing though. I learned 3 repairs within a 30 day period is considered one repair, for purposes of their lemon policy. I will also add that the warranty company reimburses you 50% of the cost of filters. Simple process. I have read complaints that they make it too difficult to collect. That is just not true. Have been reimbursed $100 for filters to date. In 5 years, Even at the increased price, the savings will pay for the warranty. No brainer.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I purchased my Whirlpool refrigerator 8 months ago model # WRF560SEXM which is less than a year old and already I'm experiencing problems already. I have owned several refrigerators in the past which were older models and less sophisticated, and all of them lasted well over 10 years with no major issues, so to buy a new refrigerator through Whirlpool and have it malfunction in less than a year is unacceptable. Customers deserves better than this especially at these prices.

My malfunction occurred when my ice maker stopped working and the internal temperature stopped working altogether, which caused all my food to spoil which had to replaced which was very expensive which infuriated me more and because my service appointment was a week away. I LITERALLY had to order out for food and purchase ice. And if this happens again I will have replace food and order food out again. WHIRLPOOL don't realize the impact this has on its customers. I would definitely not recommend their refrigerators EVER!!!

Whirlpool expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Whirlpool is an American multinational manufacturer and marketer of home appliances that makes a number of different styles of refrigerators. The company manufactures refrigerators under a number of different brand names.

• Variety: Whirlpool offers a wide range of refrigerators of many different sizes and styles, such as French door, side-by-Side, top freezer and bottom freezer.

• Matching appliances: Whirlpool also makes a number of other kitchen appliances, such as stoves, microwaves, dishwashers and compactors so that homeowners can outfit their kitchens in matching appliances.

• Extended service plans: Whirlpool offers extended service plans that include 24/7 Toll-free call support, help from expert technicians and repair/replacement as needed.

• Eco-friendly and Energy Star-rated: Whirlpool devotes itself to reducing its global footprint and features products with low energy usage that are more eco-friendly than other refrigerators.

• Accessories: Whirlpool provides many refrigerator accessories, such as ice trays, shelving units, drawers, beverage containers and more.

• Best for: Homeowners looking for a reliable, high-quality refrigerator from a reputable company.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs