Whirlpool Refrigerators

Compare Refrigerators

Research top Refrigerators recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased this Whirlpool Gold Series Refrigerator WRF990SLAMCO in 2012 and it cost me $2400.00 from Lowes. Worst purchase I ever made!!! I will never again purchase or recommend a Whirlpool product. I paid for extended service agreement from Lowes. Before the first year was over, ice was forming on the inside roof of the refrigerator and the whole cooling system/grid needed to be replaced. Then the cooling system went out, followed by the ice maker (PS the ice bucket container was rusted within the first year), then the whole electrical panel on the front of the refrigerator where the ice/water dispenser is.

For the last three weeks I have had water leaking out of the top of the refrigerator adjacent to the water filter. My home warranty won't cover. It is a $400.00 repair to replace the circuit that attaches from the water filter. I called Whirlpool 2/14/2017 to complain about the product. She tells me that there haven't been any complaints logged about the refrigerator. Seriously??? Read your reviews! The gal on the phone offered a discount to purchase a NEW PRODUCT! Are you serious??? Take my advice. DO NOT BUY WHIRLPOOL. They do not care about their customers or creating a well made USA product. I'll buy foreign next time!

Warranty services are trouble. For one (1) simple "washer part" it's taking over 2 months. They state it's on "back order"...while my food is wasting away. Whirlpool didn't even know what he was doing, and to the top it off, forgot to put back the part he took off!

EveryDay Care? Every day I hope the part needed to make my new Whirlpool refrigerator work again is delivered so it can be repaired. I bought it in December and since then the WRF992FIFM has had the ice maker fail and need replacement and the fan unit in the refrigerator went out 2 days later. It has been nearly a week now and I am using dry ice to keep my refrigerator cold enough to store some food. The authorized repair service did not have the part and Whirlpool is shipping it directly to me but I do not know when. No tracking info, nothing. Three days and no delivery.

Then I must call the repair service back to schedule yet another appointment to install it. Meanwhile, I am paying $13.00 to $20.00 per day for dry ice, not to mention the time I had to take off of work for three service calls - for an appliance I took delivery of on December 21st! Less than 2 months. I am finding out quickly that Whirlpool is very generous with apologies and stingy with results. I should have checked the Whirlpool FB page before making my purchase. But they sure are quick to try and sell you the extended warranty. I am developing a whopping case of buyer's remorse.

First whirlpool 3 door with ice maker in door failed in less than a year. Took 6 months to resolve issue, several service calls, at least 30 calls to Lowe's and Whirlpool with little or no response. Nobody wanted to take responsibility to do something about my broken fridge. Even the authorized repair guy didn't want to touch it, didn't want to ruin his reputation because they won't stay fixed. Another service guy wanted to take it to the shop to repair, of course I would be responsible for pickup and delivery charge. Found out the repair was an in home repair, so didn't use that guy, I felt like he was trying to rip me off.

I finally got to the right people in whirlpool organization and they replaced the fridge, that took another two weeks. I found everything takes two weeks. The replacement was supposed to be same model with upgrade, this is gold series fridge I've been talking about. New fridge has failed also, seems like same symptoms. It lasted 1 yr and 4 or 5 months. I guess not too bad for a top of the line refrigerator, made by Whirlpool. Gonna give them a chance to make it right or I am considering hauling it around in my truck with a sign on it. Not trying to punish the distributor, just Whirlpool. This product is so bad the government should step in and force Whirlpool to give money back.

We had bought a whirlpool refrigerator (Model - DC 205 5S/2016) in late April 2016. Initially I noticed a whirring sound after 6-7 hours of switching it on. As nobody from whirlpool had come for installation or any follow up even after requesting, we let it go thinking that nothing could go wrong with a new fridge. Nevertheless, the disturbing sound continued, until I noticed exposed wires running crisscross atop the freezer box and below it, one even preventing the chiller tray to be pulled out easily. Also, we had to get a stabilizer to reduce the notice even though it was written in big bold letters that it was a Stabilizer free refrigerator.

After 8 months of owning it, we went for a three-day trip leaving the refrigerator on and set at point 3 in the cooling knob of which 5 is the maximum. On returning back, I noticed a crack at the top right corner of the freezer door and saw that ice had built up covering that side of the freezer inside. Again, as I had to leave for office within 1 hour, I let it rest and went. In the evening we noticed that the crack had extended, so we defrosted the fridge. The next morning I found a small piece of the freezer door floating in the defrosted water, and the freezer door was unhinged and askew at the top, in fact a part of the freezer door's upper right hinge had broken due to maybe the pressure of ice buildup, which had caused the crack that we saw.

Shocking it was at first to learn that a freezer door be made of such low standard material ignoring the other fact of wires jutting out of the freezer at top and bottom. As the warranty period was 12 months, I immediately called the customer care, who put me on hold for 8-10minutes and disconnected, this repeated 2 times after which I was frustrated enough and vowed not to use the freezer again.

After almost a month a more responsible member of my family took it upon himself and raised a complaint which was answered and a service person came home with a dirty looking and completely scratched piece of replacement door for the freezer. He informed that plastic pieces never came in warranty and we had to pay for it. Upon asking for further clarification he called his manager, Hemanth who was too rude and informed "Madam you have pulled the freezer door apart which has caused this." Also, he was asking me specifically "are you lying as you said initially that you left for 3days and now you said 5 days?" We had left on a Friday night and came back on Tuesday morning, which means 3 complete days out of station. I never knew the exact number of days mattered as a fridge was supposed to be switched on continuously for days.

Also, finally Hemanth was informing like "if it was some mechanical or electrical fault we could have done it free of cost." So, I reported the whirring noise and the wires jutting out of the freezer tray. He blabbered at first and then informed me that the sound might be due to voltage fluctuation if you are not using a stabilizer (we were using one even though the fridge was a stabilizer free operation one, phew) and the wires issue he completely ignored claiming it as normal.

So we paid in full for the dirty and scratched replacement door and also had to be called as liars and blamed that we had literally pulled off the door. Also, he was the most unprofessional manager that I had ever spoken to as he closed the conversation with, "If it was LG or Samsung, they would never even have come for service like this." Enough was enough... Never in my life would I have anything to do with whirlpool nor will suggest this brand to anybody.

They use such low-quality products. The warranty promises are just scam + even the managers are so insulting and bad mannered to the extent that I never want to deal with them anymore. Also, they don't think twice before just blaming the customers for their low-quality products. In all my years so far I have never come across a brand that treat their customer's like this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

My stainless steel french door refrigerator's compressor quit working and needed replaced after 3 years and 10 months. I had to buy a replacement kit and it cost 400.00. The repairman cost 175.00. I tried to buy an extended warranty but they do not sell them. You get a 1 year warranty. The repairman told me you will be very lucky if you get 4 years out of the replacement. He said all of the new compressors are really junk. Remember when refrigerators used to last 30 to 40 years. Not anymore. It is a money racket. Do not buy anything Energy Star, it is all junk. I have gone through 5 washing machines in 18 years, and I live here by myself.

Whirlpool provides free replacement parts to repair this design problem but won't pay the service charges to repair their design problem. I purchased a KitchenAid french door style refrigerator (KBFS25EWMS10, SN K31902118) and it leaks water on the kitchen floor. At first I just mopped it up but later discovered they have a design problem in their drain system and water backs up into the freezer dept and eventually on to the floor. Customer Service provides free improved replacement parts for this design problem but won't pay the service charges to have the parts replaced. Simply put, Whirlpool/KitchenAid do not stand behind their product quality, instead they pass the problem and service charge cost for their design problem on to the consumer. Beware of this appliance supplier!

How can Whirlpool deliver a new refrigerator/freezer and refuse to include a shelf in the freezer even though there are rails built in on the sidewalls to support a shelf??? Of course they will sell me one. The cheapness of today's manufacturers is appalling especially in light of the prices they charge.

Bought unit from Lowe's in july 2017. Shortly after icicles started forming on the roof of the freezer near where the door & frame meet. Called authorized service repair company to have them check out. Tech knew right away what was wrong. Appears Whirlpool has the parts made in China & then assembled in the USA. China has overfilled the freezer door with insulation warping the door. This makes the door seal sag on the bottom & pull away on the right side. No way to repair. Was told they need to order a new freezer door.

Weeks later I get a call that Whirlpool cannot get a door replacement!!! Said they will give Lowes a store credit. The floor model at Lowes has the same defect. When Lowes ordered a replacement unit they opened the packing & found that this unit has the same defect. I am replacing with a Frigidaire! Where is the quality control at Whirlpool. Anyone at Whirlpool who puts these units together could not help but see this defect - but ignores it & ships it out anyway. Thats what you get from farming stuff out to China. No excuse on Whirlpools part. Maybe Trump can save Whirlpool.

Product: Whirlpool Gold Series, Model WRX988SIBM01: Purchased 2014 at Lowe's. 2nd day after delivery, called Whirlpool, refrigerator not working properly, freezer drawer will not close, condensation on outside. Sent person that delivered the refrigerator to "fix" problem, freezer had frozen ice behind each drawer approximately 2 inches that would not allow drawers to close. Delivery person used hair dryer to melt ice and adjusted drawers. Still periodically have to physically remove ice build up to allow drawers in freezer to seal properly. Ice maker stopped working, makes no ice at all, ice comes from inside refrigerator not from freezer, bad design.

Today woke up to freezer drawers completely thawed and had to throw away all food, panel shows temperature at -2*. All food thawed and unable to be cooked/used. Called Whirlpool could not send someone until next Tuesday (4 days). We are a family of 5 and cannot wait that long. Unfortunately have called 3 other appliance companies only to find that refrigerator has to be repaired by "special technicians"! This is our first Whirlpool, bought because "made in America", have been very disappointed with our $2500.00 purchase. Not sure that we will ever purchase another Whirlpool product, our inclination will be to buy less expensive product and choose to replace as opposed to paying recurring service calls + parts and labor.

I bought this Whirlpool french door, bottom freezer refrigerator for $2100. In 10 years I have replaced the compressor three (3) times. Bad design and a real piece of crap! I was told by Sears that all Bottom freezer Whirlpool refrigerators are made by Amana. That is why I bought the frig. I've had wonderful experiences with Whirlpool and Amana product in the past, but this time their design is so flawed.

Hello. We bought this refrigerator from Costco, so we can have extended one year warranty for the appliance. When we need this then we are not getting help. Our Fridge is not working from last couple of weeks. Technician came a day late to see the fridge, then order the part on the 01/03/2017, I didn't hear back from service provider till 01/11/2017. Finally I got a callback after spend an hour on the phone saying that it will take one more week. I had to call Whirlpool to expedite service and because of weekend I have to wait another 4 days to get the part.

There are 7 people living in my house including 2 yr old. We are having hard time with the food and waste of food. We probably throw away $200 worth of food. And spending money every single day on food. I have to buy every other day for my 2 yr old. Whenever I tried to call for compensation, I get transferred to different department. I am so tired with this kind of service. I would never buy any appliance from Costco or Never refer to anyone. Very very bad service.

Price was right on this model after previous model quit on a long weekend while we were gone. This has been a good refrigerator and has performed flawlessly up until now when the ice dispenser quit working. It is a cheap fix, though. All in all I would buy another Whirlpool because it is American made.

I'M single, and my current refrigerator meets my basic needs quite well. One drawback -- it has an ice making machine which I never use. Therefore, that takes up room in the freezer which could be used for frozen foods.

The refrigerator itself is noisy but that's not the problem. Most of my low ratings are because of the ice maker. Instead of being in the freezer it is up in the refrigerators area. It jams a lot, makes a lot of noise, had to replace the ice maker assy inside it already as it quit. Then the defrost water drain plugged and had to be cleaned out. Too many problems for such a new refrigerator. The refrig. itself works fine but get one with ice maker in the freezer.

I purchased the fridge 2nd hand in 2013. It was 10 years old at the time. It is still going strong & I purchased it because it has a frost-free freezer that never needs de-frosting and I love the features & size - its the PERFECT FRIDGE. What I look for in a fridge is it's colour - I like metal\steel grey colour. I go for reputation & quality. Frost free is the biggest factor that determines my purchases, long-term (10-year min.) warranty & guarantee, size.

Refrigerator is good, keeps food at a good temperature, freezer keeps even ice cream solid. Only fault is draw in freezer does not hold as much as the old bottom freezer with separate unit for a draw. The refrigerator is nice looking and does the job. It just seems that manufacturers are always trying to make things better, but usually features were fine in older models.

When our home burned down, had to get a manufactured home. Orig. refrigerator size was 32 cu.ft. This one that came w/ the house is a lot smaller. We've has issues with ice dispenser several times in the 18 months we've been here. But I would recommend this size.

The refrigerator has excellent quality, low noise level, clean lines and enough room for produce and frozen foods. Would recommend this to friends. This replaces a Whirlpool refrigerator that was over 30 years old. The original unit still works extremely well and we gave it to a family that needed a refrigerator and they were very happy to receive it. It looked as new as the day I purchased it 30 years ago.

I had to purchase a new fridge quickly due to a power surge and this was the only one available with features I wanted. It is too small, but that's not the fridge's fault. Has worked well and easy to clean. Simple white fridge that I'd recommend. Not expensive and for the past year+ dependable.

For our needs (2 of us) this unit provides the interior space and external useful features we need and wanted. Only issue, ice maker needed to be replaced. I would add that the water filter is located at the very bottom of the unit in the kick plate area. Very inconvenient!

I have had my refrigerator for more than 10 years. It is a standard refrigerator with no extras and I have never had any problems with it. I think things that don't have too many extra built into them are better with not so many things to break down.

My refrigerator has needed several repairs in the 5 years since purchased new. Several plastic parts (bins, handle, etc...) have cracked and ice maker no longer works. Don't think I would purchase another Whirlpool major appliance if at all possible, as I am deeply dismayed at how this one has held up.

I have a smaller/apartment size fridge. As a 1 person household it is a perfect fit. Works well & wasn't expensive. I am a Foodie, having it so nothing is too warm/cold, all the temps are equal, is a big deal. And in 10 years no breakdowns.

It has performed perfectly for the past eight or nine years. Only problem has been little plastic parts broke that held one big drawer that we may have overloaded. Door shelf plastic part holding it on... broke also.

I called Whirlpool about the refrigerator that I purchased in June of this year and nothing was done about it. My situation is that the refrigerator scratches very easily. It seems that it gets scratch only by looking at it. This refrigerator is very expensive and I not even done paying for it and this appliance looks awful!! Susan the person that I was chatting with just told me that cosmetic doesn't cover and there is nothing that Whirlpool can do about. It bothers me that paying so much money for something that it is poor quality material.

I have had this refrigerator for over 25 years and can't ask for anything better than that. Would buy another Whirlpool refrigerator. Has original french doors at top and bottom door on freezer. However, I don't particularly like the pull out drawer that the new refrigerators have now as I get so much more room with a door. The new refrigerators have improved rubber around the doors. That is the only thing I had to replace on this refrigerator.

Never worked proper form the start, always condensation, bottom froze and top unthawed and vice versa. No help from store or company. During any temp change the fresh food would freeze and top unfreeze and no matter how long you waited and changed settings. Junk.

The refrigerator fits perfect in my space, keeps frozen (ice cream is creamy not a frozen block ) and cooled foods well. I love the glass shelves. I purchased 2 more bins for the refrigerator door, now I can get all my spices and condiments on the door as well as lots of other things. The freezer has racks instead of glass shelves. The top shelf is adjustable, that is nice in order to use more space. I love the ice and water on the outside of the door.

In August of 2008 I purchased a Whirlpool Amana refrigerator, Model# ABR2227FES. It worked great for exactly 6 years. In Aug of 2014, the motherboard needed to be replaced as it was not forcing a defrost when needed. I tried to get a refund on the cost of the part and labour but both were refused. In Dec 2016, just two and half years after the motherboard was replaced, the exact same problem re-occurred. Again I tried to get a refund on the cost of the part and labour but both were refused. Will I be buying this refrigerator in the future? A definite no!!!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Whirlpool is an American multinational manufacturer and marketer of home appliances that makes a number of different styles of refrigerators. The company manufactures refrigerators under a number of different brand names.

• Variety: Whirlpool offers a wide range of refrigerators of many different sizes and styles, such as French door, side-by-Side, top freezer and bottom freezer.
  • Matching appliances: Whirlpool also makes a number of other kitchen appliances, such as stoves, microwaves, dishwashers and compactors so that homeowners can outfit their kitchens in matching appliances.
  • Extended service plans: Whirlpool offers extended service plans that include 24/7 Toll-free call support, help from expert technicians and repair/replacement as needed.
  • Eco-friendly and Energy Star-rated: Whirlpool devotes itself to reducing its global footprint and features products with low energy usage that are more eco-friendly than other refrigerators.
  • Accessories: Whirlpool provides many refrigerator accessories, such as ice trays, shelving units, drawers, beverage containers and more.
  • Best for Homeowners looking for a reliable, high-quality refrigerator from a reputable company.

Compare Refrigerators