2. Homeowners

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Sub-Zero Refrigerators Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sub-Zero Refrigerators?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sub-Zero?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

Have had for 21 years. Very good. Not too many problems. Use private person to fix. Much cheaper. Mine is built in, really nice. I have enjoyed it, big nice size freezer room for everything. If I ever need a new one would buy it again.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2020

Excellent commercial grade fridge. Looks more than good enough (stainless steel), to blend in to a home setting. Rock solid performance. Excellent controls and a great freezer section. Model 650, with a bottom freezer. Twelve years on, and not a single issue.

Get buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

The food in my refrigerator lasts longer so less waste. I have had many other brands over the years, but this is hands down the best appliance. I love it. It keeps everything cool and the icemaker works well.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

Fridge is probably at least 15 years old; excellent in cooling, quiet, attractive, but there is no water filter to change, so don't know if there is one. Ice maker is very clunky, very noisy, spits ice all over the place, have to use bulk ice from inside the fridge; ice maker itself-very difficult to access; difficult to clean coils.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

We love our Sub Zero. Very few issues over the decades but we are redoing our kitchen and are unsure about keeping this one or purchasing a new one. It’s a huge gamble! We clean the motor periodically and apply petroleum jelly when needed to increase the vacuum seals on the doors. Too bad we do not have a crystal ball!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

When we bought the house it has a subzero refrigerator, it was 12 old and we replaced a new compressor and worked another 8 years until February 2017. We want to use other brand due to a new one cost about $12,000 to 13,000, but the refrigerator hole didn't fit others or don't look right, so we end up get another Subzero refrigerator hoping it last another 20 years. Just before the two-year warranty out, the water leak from the bottom, the tech came and clear it, the same time he found one of the LED light was out and replace the bulb.

In May 2020, the drain clogged again and is out of warranty. My old one had not clogged once. The new has a filter there for the pure air system needs to change about every two years cost $55, this expense my old one did not have. Plus my old one door will close by itself, this one will not. After the door close, the air inside suck and will not allow to open at least five minutes, very inconvenient. It looks like the old one has better quality than the new one. With so far that much problem is not worth the money. We need to have longer warranty to cover the repair costs.

Original review: May 22, 2020

Doors don’t shut well including freezer drawer! If you leave it open all lights inside won’t activate! Worst investment ever! Don’t bother to buy! Angry at such awful user function! I’d actually say save your money.

Original review: May 7, 2020

The ice and water dispenser on outside of fridge will shoot out at people across the room, when no one is touching the fridge. It’s 9 month old. The repairman told us that this is a common problem, and Sub-Zero has no solution. They don’t know why these new, very expensive models are malfunctioning, but it’s not just us. Others are experiencing. Whole motherboard has to be replaced for the 3rd time.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

We wanted an integrated fridge when we remodeled. Sub-Zero was the only brand that had a truly integrated model. The fridge works great but the freezer is a nightmare. I have had factory service done repeatedly on the freezer. The defrost cycle makes the ice defrost and then refreeze in a big glob. Food defrosts and refreezes over and over. Unless you want to use everything in your freezer within a week or less, you are left with unusable globs. The company says the fridge is working normally. Really? Our new Asko dishwasher starts almost every time you close the door when you are just loading it. They have replaced two sensors and it still does the same thing. It has leaked twice on our wood floor. It has been a terrible purchase.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

We were hesitant to buy second Sub Zero refridg/freezer combination because of the loud compressor noises from their 2 compressor systems. However, the appliance dealer convinced us that the new ones had corrected that problem -- and in fairness-- they have. However, when I realize that the Sub Zero French door 42" model we did purchase cost more than twice what I paid for my first new car (a '64 GTO, by the way), I now feel I should have bought a new car instead! Nothing but problems, including a total replacement of the unit 3 months after it was first installed.

First, the magnets embedded in the freezer door, used to keep the door snugly closed, were installed backwards -- causing the door to be pushed away from the front of the freezer. This caused the freezer to continually ice over and render the freezer inoperable. Next, the freezer door iced over on its skids -- causing a larger and larger ice build-up and, ultimately prevent the door from closing completely. Next, the gasket on the freezer door tore and had to be replaced. Most recently, the ice maker stopped working. A call to Customer Service indicated that we needed a replacement water filter. Unfortunately, their user manual CLEARLY states at least three times that the light on the display panel should be blinking -- and it wasn't. Customer Service representative said she was sorry, but the manual was wrong. Give me back my GTO!

Sub-Zero author review by ConsumerAffairs

Sub-Zero has long been one of the leading lines of refrigeration products. The company was founded in 1945 in Madison, Wisconsin.

• Innovative: The company has always been forward-thinking, they have created the free-standing freezer and the built-in refrigerator.

• Ultimate luxury: Sub-Zero has a reputation for making the most luxurious refrigerators possible, so it's a good choice for anyone who wants to outfit their home with luxury appointments.

• Built-in and customizable: Sub-Zero provides built-in refrigerators that blend in smoothly with a homeowner's aesthetic.

• Test drive: The company allows customers to make appointments and check out Sub-Zero refrigerators in the showroom to ensure they pick the appliance that is right for them.

• Curated collections: Sub-Zero offers customers curated collections of kitchen appliances and products, making it easy to design a kitchen seamlessly.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team