Sub-Zero Refrigerators

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

Sub-Zero Refrigerators Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sub-Zero?

Original review: Dec. 19, 2022

I ordered a 42 in Sub-Zero refrigerator with ice and water dispenser on the door in October of 2021. Didn’t receive it until August 2022. Now less than 3 months post installation ice spewing without anyone touching it. Now ice and water dispenser locked up. Pure junk. Capacity inside the fridge is terrible. The design limits both freezer and fridge space. Now this ice projectile problem right before Christmas and no one to service it. I would have never purchased this had I known all the above. Pure junk and total waste of over 12,000 dollars.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2022

I have a 7-month-old Sub-Zero column refrigerator. The temperature went up to 56 degrees, and I did not notice the error message on the read-out until days later when all of the food had spoiled. I kept getting sick and did not understand why until I realized that the refrigerator had stopped cooling. There was a refrigerant leak, causing about a 3-hour repair. The same thing happened when I bought my last Sub-Zero 18 years ago when the condenser coil went out after only about 6 months. I will say that High-End Appliance in Atlanta provided great service, and I highly recommend them. They sent an emergency service tech out the next day.

Get buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2022

Purchased a 24 inch under counter Sub-Zero Wine Cooler in 2014 for over $3500 from Renwes Sales, was told by the sales rep it is the best product ever made, will last at least 20 years. Well 8 Years later the evaporator Coil is cooked. Cost of Labor to replace it $2000.00. I have a Whirlpool Fridge made in 1992, transported over 4 states, 2 Countries, works like a charm. Sub-Zero treated it like a Baby, cooked in 8 Years. Sub-Zero makes Junk.

Original review: June 28, 2022

When you buy a $12K refrigerator, wait MONTHS for it to arrive, and then within two months see the double doors misalign, the water dispenser start erratically dispensing on it own causing a flood in your kitchen, the drawers get stuck and dislodged, would you recommend this product to another? NOT EVER. I would kick this hunk of junk to the curb if it wasn't already bolted in. To add insult to injury, their customer service provided an estimate of at least one month for a technician to arrive and address and active water leak. DO NOT BUY!

Original review: June 27, 2022

Ordered 10k Sub Zero fridge in June 2021, reps told me there may be a delay and delivery wouldn’t be until April/May. Ok, Covid delays… Fridge didn’t arrive in April or May, then given a absolutely for sure delivery of 30th June, 13 months after my order was placed and paid for. Called this week to arrange delivery, now told August 20! Product is good, but so are others, if I known they would not deliver I would have gone elsewhere. Kudos to deliberately misleading/lying salespeople for good job of taking my money and caring less about when the fridge would be shipped. Never again will I purchase anything from subzero, I can almost forgive the delays, but the blatant misrepresentation about delivery is inexcusable. So much better out there.

Original review: June 17, 2022

I would like to share my experience with the Sub-Zero fridge: Legacy Model - 36" Designer Over-and-Under Refrigerator/Freezer with Internal Dispenser and Ice. We had a brand-new subzero refrigerator installed in January 2022, and when we moved in March we found to our surprise that was not working. We were provided by sub-zero with a "specialist from Dalton service in Albuquerque ". He came and found a leak. After 2 weeks the refrigerator quit working again. Another trip from the specialist identified another leak. After 1.5 weeks the refrigerator quit working again.

The third visit with the"the specialist" identified the third leak but at the end of the "repair session", the refrigerator was completely dead. No not only the fridge was not working but now the freezer too. "The Specialist" was unable to tell me why, but he told me that he is going to have the issue resolved on Monday. A week later when I called Dalton's office they told me that the next available visit is 3 weeks from now. When asked to speak with a supervisor I was told that the supervisor is on the other phone. I have reached subzero support by phone and email. Suffice to say they were completely unsupportive and unhelpful. In the last 3 months this fridge work for 3-1/2 weeks.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

We just did a remodel and had a 36", I believe it was a 650 then. It had a single door, not French, and a freezer below. It still was good when we got rid of it, but thought we should use the same space but get the newer model. I had to buy two different refrigerator/freezer for two different homes we have this year. The other one was about $3900 and has more cu. ft than this taller Subzero model. I know it is cabinet depth but the Bosch has moveable shelves, not just laterally, but also they are divided in the center, so you can move one shelf in the middle to a different height. You have the ability to have shelves at different heights ie. if you have tall bottles of say champagne, you can have half the shelf lower, and half the shelf much higher to accommodate taller bottles.

The subzero doesn't have the flexibility and the shelves are all one length; so if you wanted just a portion of the shelf to be for taller items, you can't do that with Subzero unless you dedicate the whole shelf to one long shelf with lots of room. The compartments on the door give me less space to put things in than my single door Subzero. Some of the door compartments are so narrow that I can get a single line of bottles in it only and some are smaller. My other refrigerator has a cold water spout inside the refrigerator, not on the door, which is great. I don't mind that ice and water aren't on the doors as they are potential problem creators, but on the inside of the side is quite convenient. The freezer compartment on my other refrigerator is far superior.

Subzero has the real untreated stainless and is difficult to clean. The other unit I have does the newer finish so you don't have to constantly be getting out a chemical to remove the fingerprints. I think Subzero is resting on its great reputation but I think their merchandise is old fashioned and stale. I doubt whether I will ever need another refrigerator in my lifetime, but hope those that do read this review and know what to look for to get a better style and more useful refrigerator/freezer or I hope Subzero evaluates this review and redesigns the interiors. That can't be difficult in the scheme of things!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

Reliable. We had a small problem with our ice maker and the Sub Zero company was very fast to take care of it and very professional. Other than that we haven’t had any other issues and the refrigerator is at least 10 years old if not older!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

I purchased an $11,000 refrigerator. The freezer was broken. The service has been to my house 3 times and they still can’t fix it. The unit also makes loud noise at night. I would have never purchased this refrigerator but unfortunately it’s the only brand that fits in the space I have.

Original review: June 3, 2021

I purchased $25,000 + Refrigerator, range, oven, microwave & dishwasher from Wolf/Sub-Zero & qualified for their rebate program. It was difficult to say the least to register their products that they market but aren’t their line. Hours upon hours on the phone. After numerous run arounds & supposed reissues, I still do not have the promised rebate. Each time they ask me to wait 30 days & then up to 4 weeks for a reissue. It’s pathetic. I’ve moved 15 time in 35 years & have had 2 sub-zero refrigerators. They are no better than Whirlpool or any other brand. (Except GE, they are horrible.)

I believe that SubZero Wolf rests on their history of quality & service which they fail to continue to meet. SubZero refrigerator has only a few options, you have to open the door for water or ice thus using more electricity. They have done little to keep up with the competition on consumer conveniences. Not worth the additional money unless you must. They aren’t who they once were. Their Great American Kitchen Event rebate appears to me to be a scam. Very disappointed.

Sub-Zero author review by Sandy Baker

Sub-Zero has long been one of the leading lines of refrigeration products. The company was founded in 1945 in Madison, Wisconsin.

• Innovative: The company has always been forward-thinking, they have created the free-standing freezer and the built-in refrigerator.

• Ultimate luxury: Sub-Zero has a reputation for making the most luxurious refrigerators possible, so it's a good choice for anyone who wants to outfit their home with luxury appointments.

• Built-in and customizable: Sub-Zero provides built-in refrigerators that blend in smoothly with a homeowner's aesthetic.

• Test drive: The company allows customers to make appointments and check out Sub-Zero refrigerators in the showroom to ensure they pick the appliance that is right for them.

• Curated collections: Sub-Zero offers customers curated collections of kitchen appliances and products, making it easy to design a kitchen seamlessly.

by Sandy Baker Contributing Writer

Sandy Baker has written for ConsumerAffairs since 2021. Along with the advice and information her articles provide to consumers, she’s written several books that focus on topics such as retirement planning, bankruptcy, business finance, estate planning and personal credit health.

Sub-Zero Refrigerators Company Information