1.83/5
Based on 109 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 8, 2018

130 Sub-Zero Refrigerators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 8, 2018

Not worth the money. For its large size, it doesn't hold much. Freezer is too small and it makes very little ice. Had to get an extra refrigerator for the garage.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Do no waste your money on Sub-Zero water and ice maker. We inherited a Sub-Zero when we bought our house and it was 30 years old. About 3 years ago it started to have issues so we decided to replace with another Sub-Zero since our previous one lasted so long and "upgrade" to the water and ice maker. We just assumed that Sub-Zero would be top of the line for everything. WE WERE VERY WRONG.

The ice maker either jams or the ice shoots out so fast and all over the place. Then every now and then an ice cube will just drop out and if nobody is around, it melts and cause a puddle to form where you put the cup and drips down our wood panels. We have had several service calls and everyone tells us it is just the way it is designed and the defrost heater caused the ice to melt a little and then the cubes stick together. And the cubes are so big they don't fit through the hole very well... especially when they start to stick together. Smaller cubes or a bigger chute would help. So basically, there is nothing we can do... just a very poor design.

Our friends also bought a Sub-Zero with ice dispenser in the last 2 years and they say the same thing. We just bought a second fridge for the house (LG) with another ice dispenser and it works wonderfully. How can a company that makes a fridge at 1/6 of the cost have a better design than a $12000 refrigerator??? So unbelievably disappointed in our purchase and Sub-Zero has done nothing besides connect us to a service provider that says nothing can be done. Seriously people, DO NOT WASTE YOUR $$$.

Get expert buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 4, 2018

This refrigerator keeps food perfectly and longer but is very expensive, almost three times the cost of another refrigerator, and has no bells and whistles for all that money. No ice or water in the door.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Have had this built-in SubZero since 1994 and it has been an exceptional refrigerator/freezer. Last year it finally needed a new compressor and of course there was no more R-12 refrigerant to be had so had to pay for not only a new compressor but R-22 refrigerant too. Still an outstanding refrigerator/freezer.

Original review: April 28, 2018

One of my best purchases while piecing together a new house, great craftsmanship, well-made. Good price for it all. Needs better air filtering though.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sub-Zero?

Original review: April 27, 2018

I have so many problems with my Sub-Zero (700tf) I have lost count. I had to replace the compressor last March and now it's April a year later and I think I have to replace it again! The new compressor has a warranty of one year and I'm just a month past that! I feel I'm at a loss because the freezer is built into a wall and I don't know how to replace it with a different brand that would fit. I called the closest repair shop that works on these and since they are an hour away they charge $125 upfront to come and see what the problem is. Very disappointed for the money to buy one of these. Oh, and we were the first owners of it and have only had it since December 22, 2009!

Original review: April 16, 2018

New Subzero side by side - Very good looking and apparently well made. It was installed Saturday. The instructions say it takes 24 hours for ice to be made. The next day I tried to get the ice container out to see how much ice was made. The door does not open wide enough to pull out the container. I had to maneuver it a few different ways to finally get it out and then to get it back in. I called the service department for the selling company. He said there is no adjustment and it is a common complaint. Extremely stupid.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I am submitting this review because so many others have been negative. We bought our side by side Sub-Zero 690 late in 1999 and it is still going strong. we have had repairs under $500 in that time frame. We are looking to replace it only because we are redoing our kitchen. The service person who was out a couple of years ago said that they often see Sub-Zeros work well at age 30! We bought a double wolf oven a couple of years ago just because we have had such a good experience with Sub-Zero, Having said that many people have also suggested that the newer appliances are not as reliable as older models.

Original review: April 10, 2018

We have had constant problems with our 2 Sub-Zero Refrigerators and 2 freezers. I have lost track how many times the Sub-Zeros have been serviced and parts replaced. We maintain it and clean out vents etc so we take good care of them. It’s just a poorly made product. When I tried to call the corporate headquarters, I could not get anyone on the phone. Avoid at all costs or you will be paying for repairs on a yearly basis.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Joe the refrigerator repairman was excellent in guiding me through and teaching me how to connect the water hose to my refrigerator. He even showed me how to turn on the water valve for the refrigerator to work the water and ice dispenser. I not only recommend him for his excellent job, I will order the Sub-Zero refrigerator again and continue to contact Sub-Zero for upcoming repair.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

We purchased all Sub-Zero/Wolf/Asko kitchen appliances several months ago through Ferguson, both supposedly reputable American companies. The Sub-Zero promotion gives the customer the choice of several free smaller appliances (i.e. toaster) and a $1,000 gift certificate in return for buying all Sub-Zero products. In order to redeem from Sub-Zero we had to submit a redemption form, proof of purchase, serial and model numbers. We submitted everything requested online, as requested by Sub-Zero. We waited several weeks and followed up. We were informed a claim was never made. We resubmitted everything again and again we informed the claim was not received by Sub-Zero.

Our claims were never bounced back due to using an incorrect email address. We have submitted our claims three times now, both online and now by mail. Each time we call the claim dept, rep says they have no knowledge of our claim. Our conclusion is Sub-Zero has no intention of ever honoring their offer and the promotion is bogus.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I called the Sub Zero Customer Care 800 line today for they said "Ask us Anything Anytime". Unfortunately that is not the case. After hearing the repeated message "someone will be with you" I got a person that basically knew nothing. In fact she told me to call on Monday to the same phone number and ask for a "product specialist". I think they need to change their website and state that no one is available on Saturdays that is knowledgeable. Fortunately the problem is only one of not making ice, so it can hold but if I had an extremely pressing problem, I would expect far better. This Sub-Zero is 7 years old and was $10K.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Purchased our Sub-Zero and Wolf. Freezer gasket would create vacuum seal making it hard to open which is good, our fridge side never did that upon opening. He replaced the freezer side gasket with a bigger one to line up the two doors because the fridge door stuck out more than the freezer side, the problem is now neither side creates vacuum when you close it and try to open it again, which tells me that neither door is sealing properly, also ice and frost is building up in my freezer. Plus I conducted three other tests and the seals on both doors failed all three tests. So I had a professional come out to fix the problem and he made it worse, now my compressor runs a lot more and I noticed the vent above is hot and it never was before. We had problems with our oven shutting off on us. After three different servicemen the problem is finally fixed, but now one of the stoves igniter keeps on clicking even when the stove is off.

Please whatever you do don't buy these products, if you have a problem the service people are not trained well enough to fix the problems. We bought these products because they are suppose to be the best, but honestly I am so stressed out I feel like crying. My wife is sick to her stomach. We just want to throw this stuff in the garbage, because it's too painful to go in our kitchen. We have to call service again and this is about the 8th or 9th time they have been out and the range and the fridge are not even a year old. We have had more issues with our appliances than all the appliances we have owned in the last 40 years. The whole reason we bought this is so we can have peace of mind and instead I have to go see a shrink to cope. Take heed to my warning. Please. It's a lot of money and it's not even close to worth it. Believe me.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

My first Sub-Zero was a model 690. After numerous problems And having to threaten the manufacturer they finally replaced the refrigerator/freezer. The problem with the first one was with the icemaker and they couldn’t repair it. Now we have a model 695. The compressor has given us many problems. Finally A month ago we had a new compressor put in. Even with the warranty we still had to pay $765. Now it’s been a month and a half since the new compressor and on Christmas morning we discover that the refrigerator is back up to 60°. What a nightmare. All our food is wasted. I really don’t know what to say. Other than the Sub-Zero’s are good looking but very unreliable. I called up the company who is an authorized representative repair facility for Sub-Zero to get this taken care of. Time will tell!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

The ice makers are the worst in the industry. We paid extra for the door mounted ice delivery system and quickly learned not to use it due to overfilling and with its location you cannot visually observe it or water filling without bending down to a height of 4 feet or less. Ice maker clogs regularly requiring removal of icebox to clear. Buy a less expensive refrigerator and be much more pleased. It is overpriced by a minimum of 2x.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

Don't bother to purchase this unit - after 13K and 3 years the ice maker freezes up and the compressor is gone - terrible customer service - when you spend this type of money on a product you would think that it would last more than 3years. Repairs are outrageous and it is still not fixed. Stay away.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

My fridge (BI36U) cost nearly $10,000 and is falling apart after just three years. I feel so ripped off. What the heck happened to this brand? My in-laws have had their Sub-Zero for decades and have only had repairmen come out recently. This company is coasting on an old reputation that is just not true anymore. In the time I've had it, again less than three years, repairmen have had to come twice. One is here right now which is what has inspired this lovely rant! And like others on this forum, I've needed to do various things myself, like emptying my entire fridge and sitting there with a hair dryer to get the ice inside to melt.

Folks, this fridge is exactly like the sports car my husband had when we first met, it was constantly in the shop for one expensive repair or another, requiring special parts and expertise. Except this fridge is not fun when it is working, it's just a fridge. Mine was a high end kitchen design. My kitchen is all over Pinterest and sure, the Sub-Zero looks good in the photos. But now when I look at it, I feel like a big sucker. If you actually want to use this fridge in real life, be ready for a headache.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I purchased both Sub-Zero refrigerator and Wolf 48 inch oven in 2008. For past few months the Wolf oven wasn't working right and would take longer than usual to warm up and I didn't have time to call for service until my Side by side refrigerators stop working and everything melted. I panic and didn't know what to do and how expensive would be to fix it.

Then I thought instead of calling the technician I will call Sub-Zero to see what kind of suggestion they have. To my surprised they have 24 hours toll free number. I called them and explained to them the situation regarding the refrigerator and then since I had them online told them about the Range. I cannot even believed how helpful and understanding and wonderful they have been through this process.

First, the lady guide me and helped me to do some test on the refrigerator and got it back to work. She said somebody play with it and put it on showroom mode (that was our maid when she was cleaning it). Just imagine if I would of call outside technician what kind of cost and problem I would have, and then she authorized a technician to come and inspect the refrigerator and the oven without any charge.

The technician arrived on time and he was very polite and very professional and after inspecting both appliances he told me the dual oven needs one of the heating element on each one is out and needs replacement and some other part for refrigerators needed to be changed. I called the 24 hours customer service again and they said they authorized the part and the labor.

I was amazed with their professionalism, care and politeness. They did not have to to do any of these thing but they did it because they take pride of American made product and excellent reputation and amazing customer service. My refrigerator and my Wolf Range got fixed without any question or headache. I know both brand cost more but it is worth every penny in a long run. My suggestion is if you have problem with any of the product first call the company before you call any repairman.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

When we decided to renovate our home in 2003, we had limited space for a kitchen in our small urban home. With space being at a premium, we decided a big boxy-style fridge would just not work, so we looked into buying a Sub-Zero. We cook a lot, and buy lots of produce at our local farmer's market, along with many condiments for making lots of styles of food. We needed a fridge that was not big, but not small either. We ended up buying a used 550 off of a refrigerator repairman for $2,000. He had refurbished it and the price included a 1 year warranty. My husband built a cabinet especially for it, custom door panels, side panels, and matching cabinet above. It looked great, just what we needed. We loved the shelves, the two egg trays on the door, the deli drawer and the ice maker.

We found the vegetable/fruit drawers too shallow, and ended up with lots of vegetables on the shelves above and below the drawers, which cut into space for everything else. The specs say the 550, 36" wide, bottom freezer drawer, has 15.7 cu.ft. of refrigerator space and 6.4 cu. ft. of freezer space, for a total of 22.1cu. ft. That is a reasonable amount of space, and not different than the old side-by-side GE we used to have. In 2008, the ice maker stopped working, and the same repairman who sold us the unit came back and installed a new WATER VALVE for $38.00 parts, $70.00 Trip charge, and $180 for labor. With tax it came to $291.00. Great, ice maker working again, all is good. But there were other annoyances with the refrigerator that we just chalked up to buying a used unit - one was mold. It seemed to creep in from the back of the refrigerator, landing on jar lids, inside corners of shelves, inside the dairy cubbies on the door.

No sooner would you do a full clean up and wipe down the whole thing with diluted Clorox and it would be back. Then there was the pan under the unit, annoying to get to, but we needed to check it every so often, as we were afraid it would fill up and wreck our kitchen hardwood floors. Then the cleaning of the upper grill, always catching dust, which looked bad, and the coils inside the upper area had to be cleaned too. This would be fine if you had cleaning help to do this but sometimes a two earner couple with kids cannot stay on top of these things. Then in 2015 the refrigerator is noisier than usual for a couple of weeks, and one day there is water flowing all over the wood floor in front of the unit, causing the wood to cup, just awful. Water spots appear on the drywall of the ceiling of the room below the kitchen.

The ice maker isn't working, and the ice cream is melted in the freezer drawer, obviously something has gone wrong with the freezer, so we call the guy we bought it from, but he never calls back, so I look for another repairman who will work on Sub-zeros in our area (not too hard to find as we live in a very urban setting in a major US city). The new repairman comes out, looks it over and says the Evaporator needs charging, and that there seems to be a leak in the freezer system. The total estimate to fix is $1,200, with a 3 month warranty on the work. As we are very busy and can't really deal with changing out the refrigerator at the time, we agree to have him do the work. He is there almost a whole day with his equipment consisting of a tank and long hoses, but in the end the 550 is up and running, including the ice maker.

We spend weeks tearing up the damaged floor, searching out boards to match the 100-year old original floor, new finish, etc, and do the best we can to make it look okay, although it was impossible to repair it to how it used to be, and to this day we see the "mistakes" in the floor thanks to the 550 Subzero leak. The downstairs ceiling also has to be "down" while the ceiling is repainted. It’s August 2017 now. The icemaker once again is not working. The mold is back in the refrigerator area. The white paint that we had repaired on the shelves is once again coming off, with the black metal showing through. We still stuff the vegetables in, but love the egg trays for our farm fresh eggs. But it is time to throw in the towel. And here is why I would never buy a Subzero again - the refrigerator doesn't really work well when you store actual food in it. Like a family-sized amount of food.

The whole system is designed around air circulation, meaning you have to only store shallow items on the top and bottom shelves of the refrigerator section. So I did a calculation of the actual area of storage in this unit, 36: wide, 24' deep, 84" high fridge/freezer. When you measure the actual space that jars and food items will fit onto the shelves, excluding the lips and the brackets, etc, the actual area for storage is: 12.4 cu ft. Fridge and 4.5 Freezer for a grand total of 16.9 cu ft. of space. It’s just not an adequate amount of storage space for the average family. Who can be constantly concerned that the items on the bottom shelf won't block the "airflow?" It's a refrigerator, for goodness sakes. I'm glad I did not spend an arm and a leg to learn the truth about Sub-zero. I hope to find a real refrigerator, one than can look after itself.

Original review: July 28, 2017

We've only had our wine cooler for 3-1/2 years. It was not inexpensive... $7000 or so. I would have expected many years of good service. So, the bottom unit just failed... called in a local service company to repair. It's past the 2 year warranty, and it's not a covered 5 year warranty item. $275 to fix. Three weeks later, the top unit failed. Waiting to hear what this will cost me. Oh, and the only authorized Sub-Zero service company for South Florida is in Miami, over 80 miles away. Very disappointed. I have other Sub-Zero appliances, which I'm questioning now, expecting them to die soon. I will not consider Sub-Zero again, nor will I ever recommend to friends and colleagues.

Original review: May 26, 2017

This is the second time my Sub-Zero failed. The last time it was the compressor for over $800. I won't make that mistake again. I can buy a new fridge for much less. My ice maker has been frozen for two years. I am tired of using a hair dry to melt the ice blockage.

Original review: May 20, 2017

Sub zero built in refrigerator - Would not recommend these pieces of junk to my worst enemy. Have had two service calls at over 600.00 each and the parts were still under warranty. The drain hose freezes constantly and has to be thawed, a design defect for sure. I'm ready to take it to the dump where it belongs and get a fridge for less than I pay for servicing this one. I know where they get the zero in their name from. I would give them a zero star if it was available.

Original review: May 4, 2017

I am very dissatisfied with this product! We bought a Sub-Zero when we built our home less than two years ago. The ice jams up nearly weekly, the freezer ices up and the dispenser leaks! We paid several thousand dollars for this because we wanted an high-end kitchen. What a mistake! Before this, we had a Kenmore for 20 years and never had a problem. Don't buy this product!

Original review: March 30, 2017

Sub-Zero 501 F - Freezer is an absolute piece of junk. The compressor had to be replaced twice. Had to throw away a lot of food. I have had service work done four times on it to make ice. The water line to ice maker freezes after 3 weeks & I have to thaw the whole thing again and again. What a nuisance. I have had to buy a counter top ice maker & use trays & buy ice to deal with the situation. My inexpensive refrigerator with freezer in the basement works better. I have a $100,000 kitchen & am stuck with SZ garbage freezer & a like kind of refrigerator. IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR SANITY, DO NOT BUY A SUB-ZERO ANYTHING. What power consumption. The units run day & night--NONSTOP.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

It looks pretty good and cools great but within 3-4 yrs. we had to have compressor replaced. Since it was under warranty that was covered but we had to pay over $200 for service man's work. Not pleased w/ stainless steel exterior - no such thing as "no fingerprints". I got this as showroom display & that price was still too much for the quality. NO I would not buy this brand again.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

Sub-Zero refrigerators are made of high quality materials but suffer, as do many modern appliances, from poorly conceived computerization. Our freezer hasn't consistently gotten cold enough to make ice for 5 years. We've had to get ice from our cheap basement refrigerator. Multiple parts and $1000's in repairs have not permanently resolved the problem.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2016

I've had my Subzero model 550 since 1994, when we remodeled the kitchen in our antique home. A 24" deep space between our cabinets and wall, with brick chimney behind, created the perfect slide-in location for our cabinet-maker to frame the 36" space for it. My repair records show numerous visits to fix and ultimately replace the ice maker, unfreeze the water line, replace the fan motor, and even to change the freezer light bulbs when they froze and broke off while trying to replace them. In the past few years, I've seen condensation and mildew appear in the dairy compartments where I store butter and cream cheese, and the magnetic door gaskets have developed mildew in their accordion folds. The icemaker compartment has been freezing the ice into solid blocks, indicating a leak in the line.

Three days ago, the dedicated circuit breaker on the fridge tripped off when the icemaker died. Authorized service technician removed underside panel to observe evidence of long-standing leakage from the freezer, with rust, mold, etc. I was told the unit was not worth repairing - "beyond its lifespan." While this was a big expense at $3,000 22 years ago, it's not one I'll repeat at $10,000 today. As others have mentioned, there are counter-depth models that will fit the space, albeit with some need to situate a decorative item on top where the compressor was located. The Subzero was 84" tall and all others (French-door, freezer on bottom) run about 70" tall. The technician laughingly offered me a $500 coupon which I declined. Now my issue is negotiating the purchase and installation of a new unit with a business who can competently hook it up and remove the Subzero.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2016

I purchased a new house with a new Sub-Zero 48" built in counter depth refrigerator with matching cabinet fronts installed. I had routine maintenance but to no avail. I have so many bills that total well over $10,000. Every time I had an issue it cost over $1,000. I also have a Sub-Zero at a beach condo. Same thing with that unit. I gave up fixing the ice maker and was forced to buy ice trays and make my own ice. How sad! I have two GE refrigerators one at each place, and they save the day when the Sub-Zero fails. I have never had a service call on either GE. That tells you all you need to know. Sub-Zero's have a reputation but we need to warn people that reputation was never earned! Don't buy a Sub-Zero. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2016

I guess I have been one of the lucky ones if you want to call it that. I have had problems over the years but no big expenses. Both the refrigerator and freezer controls went bad at different times at about 7 years. I ordered and replaced them myself. I always had problems with refrigerator freezing. Can't tell you how many times I had to thaw that out. This is a poorly designed unit and I probably put up with it for too long. Finally the freezer failed. I think it was the defrost timer. Not wanting to put any more money or time into it I decided to replaced.

OK so now the big complaint. A replacement Sub-Zero is over $10,000!!! A crazy amount to pay for a refrigerator that has few of the feature a $3K counter depth has. Unfortunately I had cabinets custom built for the Sub-Zero - 35 1/2" width and no 36" nonbuilt-in counter depth refrigerator will fit my opening. So I opted to have the cabinet rebuilt, spend the $3K for a Samsung 4 door highly rated counter depth.

You could actually spend less - around $2K and still get more features than the 10K+ Sub-Zero. You have to be a little nuts, maybe a built-in fanatic, or you have money to throw away to buy a Sub-Zero. Don't waste your money, plan a 36" counter depth into you kitchen design - 36-inch opening. You won't be sorry. Buy a much better-designed unit with many more features than a $10K+ Sub-Zero. Even if you had to replace it several times you would still be ahead of the cost of the Sub-Zero.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2016

Bought a new Pro 48... the top of the line with glass doors on front. Not even a year, total failure do nothing but throw away thousands of dollars in food. Spend $17,000 on a fridge and the best they can do is "possibly fit you in next week... possibly!" Do yourself a favor don't even consider Sub-Zero. They are not set up to be customer-friendly nor they at a min. honor they warranties.

Sub-Zero expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Sub-Zero has long been one of the leading lines of refrigeration products. The company was founded in 1945 in Madison, Wisconsin.

• Innovative: The company has always been forward-thinking, they have created the free-standing freezer and the built-in refrigerator.

• Ultimate luxury: Sub-Zero has a reputation for making the most luxurious refrigerators possible, so it's a good choice for anyone who wants to outfit their home with luxury appointments.

• Built-in and customizable: Sub-Zero provides built-in refrigerators that blend in smoothly with a homeowner's aesthetic.

• Test drive: The company allows customers to make appointments and check out Sub-Zero refrigerators in the showroom to ensure they pick the appliance that is right for them.

• Curated collections: Sub-Zero offers customers curated collections of kitchen appliances and products, making it easy to design a kitchen seamlessly.

• Best for: Homeowners, businesses and restaurants that are looking for a luxury appliance.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs