Maytag Refrigerators
3.05/5
Based on 39 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Maytag Refrigerators

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 15, 2018

972 Maytag Refrigerators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Two months after purchasing our Maytag refrigerator, the light/cooling unit went out. After speaking with Maytag’s customer service and scheduling a repair company to come fix it, it took 3 separate trips over a span of 2 or 3 weeks to finally find the correct replacement piece to get it to work again. It is now 10 months since buying and we, once again, are having issues with the lights going out and randomly coming back on, the water/ice machine not dispensing, and we’re just waiting to see if the cooling unit isn’t out as well.

I called Maytag as soon as we noticed the issue, and after waiting 15 minutes on hold, they scheduled a repair service to come check it out... in 5 days. Having spent $2300 on a refrigerator for our family, we were hoping for a reliable product. I would NOT RECOMMEND this refrigerator and will never buy anything, or let any friends or family members purchase anything, Maytag manufactures ever again. As if the faulty product itself weren’t bad enough, I have had the absolute worst customer service experience. Who would have thought it could be so difficult to look up a customer account, even after having it registered with Maytag after purchasing.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I would look at Maytag first when and if this one goes belly up but I have a feeling that will never happen. Excellent performer and very quiet running. Looks great in SSteel.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Stainless steel 2 door refrigerator with a bottom drawer freezer. Good space in both. Finish is almost fingerprint free. I bought 5 appliances at the same time so pricing was very good.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I loved my refrigerator because it was plenty of space, energy efficient and ran like a top even after 20 years when we sold the house. I look forward to buying another one when I buy my new home.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Have used for several years, no problems. Not even with ice maker. The black color is good and matches other appliances. I like the pull out drawer for freezer items. However, the filter is very hard to change but other than that everything ok.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maytag?

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Although this refrigerator is 10 yrs old it really performs well. I like the ice maker as it hardly ever hangs up, the freezer works great and the refrigerator part is really super in the veg drawer and the meat and cheese drawer. All in all this was a great buy.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Maytag is the best, their service people can't get a lot of calls because they are made to last. If you should have a problem they are there. Parents had one when I was a child, never a problem. I had one when my son was born 35 yrs ago. Lasted longer than marriage.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Ice maker is so loud it would wake the dead. When it goes on it can be heard throughout the house and when it dumps it will make the dog bark. Terrible.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Freezer does not freeze well. Causes most our food to get freezer burned. We tried turning it up and down but made no difference. Actually went and bought a separate freezer for meats.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

Wish it was a French door style instead of freezer on top. Not good if you are tall. Other than that we are pleased with it but will look to trade for a French door style.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

We bought this refrigerator in 1998 and it is still going strong. It has gotten a bit noisy over the years when defrosting, but it works great. It is not as fancy as the freezer over top, but it is large and so is the refrigerator.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I love the functionality of this Maytag refrigerator. The inside is so nice and big, I can almost fit anything into it. When I need to make a lot of food for a lot of people, this refrigerator really foots the bill.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I love the bottom freezer & refrigerator on top. It's so convenient... but it really could have a little more refrigerator space though. I love the stainless steel. It makes the fridge look regal. Also, the fingerprints do not show.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

My Maytag is almost 20 years old. It works great and never serviced! Not even a gasket! Don't care for the crinkly finish but I sure got my money's worth!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I really like the refrigerator. It's easy to maneuver and frost-free, but I should have gotten the side by side. Also, make sure of your family size before you make final decision. Other than the size I would recommend to family and friends to purchase.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I like the full width drawer for large items. Our Maytag refrigerator is 12 years old and just beginning to make noises and get too cold. The little plastic features for setting the temp and humidity on the produce doors were the first to break. Water is inside door which is not as convenient.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I've had my Maytag refrigerator for 19 years and it still performs well. I keep it clean both inside and underneath. The lighting is one aspect I really appreciate as there are two bulbs in the interior so there's never a problem seeing all the contents. Also appreciated are the movable shelves on the door and the ability to raise or lower the main shelves in the body of the fridge.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

Food stored next to the ice dispenser freezes. Freezer floor builds up with 1 1/2 to 2" of ice every couple of weeks, door won't close and water leaks on floor.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

An average refrigerator/freezer at best. I would not recommend it unless you also buy a service agreement to fix things that go wrong with it. Ice maker went out.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Love My Maytag. I was looking for one that would hold a lot and you can't imagine how much it holds. It's really deep and fit a ton in it. It also fits in our small space. It is black and has an ice maker. I'm not a fancy gadget PERSON and like it simple.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I have used several brands of refrigerators and Maytag stood out for me. Everything works as good as new. However, my experience with ice machines, has been the first thing to quit.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Was coerced into purchasing this fridge three years ago. Told how Maytag is the highest quality fridge etc. From day one it was noisy and seemed to be running half the time. I had asked for a quieter fridge, partially why I paid $2000 for it. Now there is something wrong with it. Not sure what yet. But for $2000 it should not be failing three years later. My Samsung was quieter, 1/3 of the price and lasted at least 8 years. Thought about calling customer service but read too many bad experiences here in regard to that. Will never use Maytag again.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

We updated our kitchen appliances in 2013 and purchased all from Home Depot. Purchased Maytag Refrigerator, free standing range and microwave. What a big mistake!!! Not one of them are worth what we paid for them. I just noticed that I was getting a (chemical) smell from inside our 6 year old 3 door model MFI2670XEM5 refrigerator. Well being I know what refrigerant smells like I have a leak in the interior of unit. This is my final issue with Maytag and their so called great built appliances, I have had nothing but troubles since about 2 years after we purchased it.

I guess what really surprises me is that unit is built by Whirlpool and has their name all over unit and I always had good luck in the past with the brand. This is one of several issues including rust on freezer door, broken plastic drawer frames to French door hinges broken, ice maker door issues. What a waste of my money that I spent on these and now after 6 years need to buy all new. IT WILL NOT BE Maytag or Whirlpool!!!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Me and my wife bought a Maytag refrigerator from Home Depot. The top half freezes up in a big way and it gets real frosted up I have to pull it apart every 2 months to defrost it. The bottom half starts to get warm if I don't do that. I will not ever buy another Maytag refrigerator again.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

We bought a refrigerator June 4th 2014. 6 month ago the freezer and refrigerator was getting warm. Had to call repair service, it was the blower! On Saturday 12/9/17 freezer wasn't freezing, then fridge was clicking on and off. Unplugged it, called repair service, it was the compressor. $800.00 to fix it, the same amount as when we purchased it. Repair service told us to call Maytag, he said, "Maybe they will help you," would not help at all. Talked to Lori, all she said was warranty is up after a year, I then said, "I think a refrigerator should last longer than 3 years!" Will never buy anything Maytag again! Yes Maytag does SUCK!!!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I have Maytag refrigerator that is only 2 years & 9 months old that I am told by a service tech that it has a sealed system leak. So the unit runs it just won't get cold. I have lost all the food that was in the refrigerator & freezer and I told by Maytag that it's not covered under warranty. The tech gave me a ball park quote of $600.00- $700.00 to repair the unit & I lost at lest $200.00 or more in food. I can't believe a new refrigerator won't even last 3 years & they won't fix their problem. So much for buying American made products. Whirlpool YOU SUCK & SHOULD BE ASHAMED!!!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Ice maker flaps open and closed and lights flash. Bought brand new lasted a couple years. Lots of people are having the same issue according to internet and nothing is being done by Maytag to help except offer repair at half the cost of new fridge! Junk!!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

This new refrigerator, which was delivered to my house on 9/20/17, is so loud that I cannot have a conversation in my kitchen. It is supposed to be energy efficient. I do not know how that is possible as it runs 50 out of every 60 minutes. I contacted their customer service about this appliance. They repeatedly put me on hold or disconnected me. If I could give lower than one star, I would. Learn from my mistake - don't purchase from this company.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

Looked online and there are pages of people having the same issue (Ice door flap and lights going crazy) - when I called Maytag they acted as though I was the only one who ever experienced this. They were zero help and rude. I would not ever purchase a Maytag appliance! Save yourself a headache!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

We bought a Maytag refrigerator. Big big mistake. It bangs, makes all kinds of noises. The bottom freezer has ice that builds up once in a while, has to be unloaded and thawed out. We have had several service calls and they do not know what's wrong. Trouble started about a month out of warranty. Called Maytag and they would not do anything. WE are very disappointed in Maytag. We spent more money to get a good product and ended up with junk. We are getting rid of it and buying one that is made by a company that knows what they are doing.

Maytag expert review by Jonathan Trout

Maytag designs and makes kitchen appliances, washers and dryers and central heat and air units. They have two models of chest freezers and three upright freezers.

• 15 cubic foot freezer: The 15 cubic foot model is Maytag’s smallest version of chest freezer. It comes with a 10-year limited warranty for parts and the compressor. It features an interior light and a keypad door lock. It retails for $549.

• 22 cubic foot freezer: Maytag’s 22 cubic foot chest freezer is its largest freezer and comes with a 10-year warranty on parts and the compressor. It includes an interior light and a keypad lock for the door. It costs an estimated $47 a year to operate. The 22 cubic foot freezer costs $849.

• Upright freezers: Maytag makes three stand-alone upright freezers ranging in size from 16 to 20 cubic feet. They all include a 10-year limited warranty on parts and the compressor, LED lighting and frost free technology to prevent ice build up. The 16 cubic foot freezer costs $649, the 18 cubic foot freezer costs $749 and the 20 cubic foot freezer costs $849.

• Specification documents: Maytag provides all specifications online in PDF form. You’ll find the warranty, manuals, dimension guide and energy guide online under each model's web page.

• Best for: consumers looking for simple features in a chest freezer.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout

www.maytag.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use