2.96/5
Based on 48 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

988 Maytag Refrigerators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 18, 2018

I started getting a really nasty odor coming from the vent of my fridge. I cleaned it out multiple times hoping that would help. No change. Never had any spills and I have never had mice but pulled out the fridge to make sure it wasn't something dead behind or under it. Nothing. I called the brick to tell them what was going on. They advised me that my fridge was under a year old so I had to call Maytag because they covered the first year warranty. I called Maytag. They completely dismissed me saying they don't cover odors and there is nothing they would do. So then I called the brick back very upset. The Brick then contacted Maytag to which a Technician would be sent out.

The Technician came to my house to inspect the fridge. He findings were that there was in fact no spills or any reason on my behalf that would be causing the odor. However he did find that the foam insulation expanded to the point that the seams of my fridge were pushed out. Thus probably causing condensation in the walls creating the smell over time. He told me to keep a copy of the report because I would more than likely need it because he doubted Maytag would honor their manufacturer warranty.

When I called Maytag back to find out what was the next step they tried to tell me that the tech found nothing and there is nothing they could do. At this point I made it clear that I had a copy of the report and that there was in fact a manufacturer's defect. And that if something was not done I would take the report to the Better Business Bureau. She proceeded to put me on hold for 45 minutes and came back saying they have to send another technician. (Probably one who would report what they wanted reported). I am 2 weeks in with no fridge cause the smell infiltrates anything I put in it. With no resolve. Shame on you Maytag. Sincerely a VERY disgusted customer.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Maytag 18.5 cu ft Bottom Freezer Refrigerator purchased 12/10/12. 1/12/16 the bottom of the freezer had an inch of ice that leaked onto the floor. My plumber chipped away ice and unclogged drains $97.50. 4/19/18) the same $97.50. 5/22/18 an appliance repair business installed a drain kit $148.40. This was his 25th Maytag with the same problem. A whole website has complaints about this problem. I sent a letter to Maytag and they wanted to send out their technician to find out the problem (with a service cost to me). With all these complaints, and a kit to fix it, they already know the problem but refuse to do anything about it. Maytag used to be a reputable company. No more. The customer service said I should have bought an extended warranty. I said a $1400 refrigerator should last longer than 3 years (the first leaking occurrence). I will never buy a Maytag product (nor Whirlpool that makes it).

Get expert buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 17, 2018

At two different times today I was left on hold for thirty minutes each. I was told the compressor only had a year warranty on it, can't do anything about it. I then went online to Maytag web page and it read only on compressor the warranty had ten years. I called them after a very long wait and was told that was just started with the ten year warranty. I have owned many different refrigerators never heard of compressor only lasting 5 years. The serviceman who came out to tell me compressor was bad said the name Maytag used to stand for something but now stands for junk. Worse customer service, worse product.

Original review: May 8, 2018

My Maytag french door has worked steadily for 12 + years. It’s a basic model, ice maker in freezer. No door dispensers or electronics. I would buy it again.

Original review: May 6, 2018

We have had our side by side Kenmore for years and it hasn't let us down! We eat mostly fresh food since we cook a lot and we always have plenty of space for our food. We are only a family of 2 though. They say the ice maker is the first to fail and it has not given us any issues for nearly 10 years now! Love Kenmore!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maytag?

Original review: May 5, 2018

The freezer leaks water onto the floor in large pools. Had it repaired, two weeks later, still leaks. Very unhappy with the performance of the bottom freezer Maytag refrigerator.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Maytag is a product that I would buy any time. Even uses it well last for a long time. If you want to spend money this is a good investment for your kitchen and as for your laundry get the washer and dryer. You do get your money's worth with Maytag.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Frigidaire makes a good fridge. It works good. It has an alarm when you leave as door open. Great appliance. If I could afford it I'd get another one when this old model I have gives up on me.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Ice maker quit working after only 3 yrs. Refrigerator would not cool enough... Had to spend over $600.00 to have it repaired. Not very happy it, at all!

Original review: April 18, 2018

Never buy from Maytag. I and my daughter bought from them two refrigerators of them. After one month my daughter started to fix. I am started after one year or it is leaking. Our freezer destroyed and realize this after one day all my food I throw away. The same was with my daughter refrigerator. My daughter have old refrigerator it is working without problem for 50 year never fixed. Never ever buy from them anything. It is good I was at home. Sometimes I am traveling if it happens this time. I do not want to think about this. For fixing you have to pay lot of money. I hate that I purchased something with them.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I am a HVACR Contractor. I call numerous time Maytag to have technical support for a Fridge that I got from them. But they never help me out. Instead they offered me to give me info about a repair service close to me. It was very frustrated since I explained to them that I just need an electrical diagram to figured out the malfunction. But all that I got from them was a denial. Fortunately at the end I was able to fix the problem myself. It was a defective main board. For sure in the future I am not going to get appliances from them. The fridge fail before five years of ownership, and the people of Maytag didn't helped me at all. They deserve "0" Star.

Original review: March 29, 2018

The engineers at Maytag saved a few pennies by only using one thermistor for temperature control. It is in the box. There is nothing monitoring the temperature in the freezer. If you put your fridge in the garage where the temp is 40 degrees, the motor will never come on, and your frozen foods will melt! In my new MRT118FFFZ01 unit, the temperature in the box varies by plus or minus 3 degrees F, but the freezer varies from minus1 1 to plus 25 degrees F. 36 degrees difference! Lousy design. Have had two service calls, and they both said that this was the way it was designed and there is no fix for it.

Original review: March 5, 2018

We had a $1700 French Door refrigerator delivered in January, the ice maker worked for 4 days. 4 service calls by 2 different companies and still not making ice. After fighting tooth and nail, we finally got a new fridge.. upon installation the water in the door spewed everywhere and would not shut off, so yet another new fridge was ordered and delivered last Friday. So, after countless hours, missed worked wages and having strangers in and out of our home 7 times, they offered us a lousy $50 prepaid gift card for our trouble. After a little long drawn out fight, they increased it to $130 and said that was their maximum compensation: Shame on you Maytag, that values our time and hourly wage at about $1.00 an hour. NEVER AGAIN!!

Original review: March 5, 2018

My refrigerator temperature control panel started flashing lights and the ice maker flap started opening and closing over and over. I checked online and there are numerous model #'s doing the same thing, most all contacted Maytag, some were fixed for no charge. Some were not even though they admitted there was a defect in the electronic control panel. I was one of the ones they refused to fix because they said it was an older model but they fixed a 2006 model, a defective part is a defective part no matter the age especially if they know and admit there is a problem with the control panel.

I can't understand why they won't take care of their problem, so now I have to spend over $300.00 to fix a problem that they made in manufacturing, that is not an outrageous amount, thank goodness, but I just don't understand why they won't stand behind their product when they can fix out for probably half that cost to take care of their problem. I didn't make the refrigerator, they did.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

The glass shelves stop 2 1/2 inches from the back of the refrigerator. Things keep falling down in back. I have a counter depth. Can't afford to lose any space. Freezer poorly designed for space compared to one I had before.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Two months after purchasing our Maytag refrigerator, the light/cooling unit went out. After speaking with Maytag’s customer service and scheduling a repair company to come fix it, it took 3 separate trips over a span of 2 or 3 weeks to finally find the correct replacement piece to get it to work again. It is now 10 months since buying and we, once again, are having issues with the lights going out and randomly coming back on, the water/ice machine not dispensing, and we’re just waiting to see if the cooling unit isn’t out as well.

I called Maytag as soon as we noticed the issue, and after waiting 15 minutes on hold, they scheduled a repair service to come check it out... in 5 days. Having spent $2300 on a refrigerator for our family, we were hoping for a reliable product. I would NOT RECOMMEND this refrigerator and will never buy anything, or let any friends or family members purchase anything, Maytag manufactures ever again. As if the faulty product itself weren’t bad enough, I have had the absolute worst customer service experience. Who would have thought it could be so difficult to look up a customer account, even after having it registered with Maytag after purchasing.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I would look at Maytag first when and if this one goes belly up but I have a feeling that will never happen. Excellent performer and very quiet running. Looks great in Steel.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Stainless steel 2 door refrigerator with a bottom drawer freezer. Good space in both. Finish is almost fingerprint free. I bought 5 appliances at the same time so pricing was very good.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I loved my refrigerator because it was plenty of space, energy efficient and ran like a top even after 20 years when we sold the house. I look forward to buying another one when I buy my new home.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Have used for several years, no problems. Not even with ice maker. The black color is good and matches other appliances. I like the pull out drawer for freezer items. However, the filter is very hard to change but other than that everything ok.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Although this refrigerator is 10 yrs old it really performs well. I like the ice maker as it hardly ever hangs up, the freezer works great and the refrigerator part is really super in the veg drawer and the meat and cheese drawer. All in all this was a great buy.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Maytag is the best, their service people can't get a lot of calls because they are made to last. If you should have a problem they are there. Parents had one when I was a child, never a problem. I had one when my son was born 35 yrs ago. Lasted longer than marriage.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Ice maker is so loud it would wake the dead. When it goes on it can be heard throughout the house and when it dumps it will make the dog bark. Terrible.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Freezer does not freeze well. Causes most our food to get freezer burned. We tried turning it up and down but made no difference. Actually went and bought a separate freezer for meats.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

Wish it was a French door style instead of freezer on top. Not good if you are tall. Other than that we are pleased with it but will look to trade for a French door style.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

We bought this refrigerator in 1998 and it is still going strong. It has gotten a bit noisy over the years when defrosting, but it works great. It is not as fancy as the freezer over top, but it is large and so is the refrigerator.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

Pleased with all the features. I have had zero problems with this Maytag refrigerator; no problems with the ice maker; the crisper works well. The adjustable shelves are so convenient.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I love the functionality of this Maytag refrigerator. The inside is so nice and big, I can almost fit anything into it. When I need to make a lot of food for a lot of people, this refrigerator really foots the bill.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I love the bottom freezer & refrigerator on top. It's so convenient... but it really could have a little more refrigerator space though. I love the stainless steel. It makes the fridge look regal. Also, the fingerprints do not show.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

My Maytag is almost 20 years old. It works great and never serviced! Not even a gasket! Don't care for the crinkly finish but I sure got my money's worth!

Maytag expert review by Jonathan Trout

Maytag designs and makes kitchen appliances, washers and dryers and central heat and air units. They have two models of chest freezers and three upright freezers.

• 15 cubic foot freezer: The 15 cubic foot model is Maytag’s smallest version of chest freezer. It comes with a 10-year limited warranty for parts and the compressor. It features an interior light and a keypad door lock. It retails for $549.

• 22 cubic foot freezer: Maytag’s 22 cubic foot chest freezer is its largest freezer and comes with a 10-year warranty on parts and the compressor. It includes an interior light and a keypad lock for the door. It costs an estimated $47 a year to operate. The 22 cubic foot freezer costs $849.

• Upright freezers: Maytag makes three stand-alone upright freezers ranging in size from 16 to 20 cubic feet. They all include a 10-year limited warranty on parts and the compressor, LED lighting and frost free technology to prevent ice build up. The 16 cubic foot freezer costs $649, the 18 cubic foot freezer costs $749 and the 20 cubic foot freezer costs $849.

• Specification documents: Maytag provides all specifications online in PDF form. You’ll find the warranty, manuals, dimension guide and energy guide online under each model's web page.

• Best for: consumers looking for simple features in a chest freezer.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout