2.14/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1000 Maytag Refrigerators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I'm told even though my fridge is leaking water and making sizzling sound nothing can be done and my model number and serial number match the recall for this product and I was told that if my fridge catches fire then, "Call us" but to me that's ridiculous.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I bought this Maytag refrigerator model MF 12269FRB00. It is not, user friendly, meaning that condiments and small bottles just don't fit conveniently in any space, The biggest issue is the ice maker. The ice maker shoots ice out on each and every attempt. Every time you want ice you are guaranteed to have ice shoot out of your glass on to the floor. I often challenge my guests to get ice without the cubes shooting out of the glass. No one has ever won. Don't buy this piece of crap, unless you find humor in having ice on your floor every time. Shout out to Gray's Appliance in Melrose for selling crap! I will never buy from them or Maytag again. To the engineers who designed this product, you suck too!

Get expert buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

On Nov 1, 2018 - 14 months after purchasing this top of the line refrigerator - the compressor broke and the freezer stopped functioning. I called Maytag Service who said the soonest they could repair it was Nov 12 - 12 days after it broke. Also they said my 10 year warranty didn't apply unless I had proof of purchase. I said I registered my product online when I bought it but they said they had no record. So they had to charge me full cost of service and parts which would be $1000-$1500.

I then called LOWE'S SERVICE ADVANTAGE - I really like Lowe's by the way - and they verified my proof of purchase and that in addition to the appliance warranty I have a 5 YEAR mechanical parts repair warranty through LOWE'S. Thank goodness I purchased the service warranty from LOWE'S because Maytag was NOT honoring theirs! So then a repair person from FAST APPLIANCE REPAIR INC came to fix the refrigerator and said because it was the compressor he couldn't repair it so I had to wait a few days later for the COMPRESSOR SPECIALIST to come out. The compressor specialist came and said he didn't have any in stock so had to order one.

Six days later - Nov 19 - the compressor arrived at my house. I called FAST APPLIANCE REPAIR and asked for someone to schedule an installation. I said I'm RETIRED and can do it any time. They said the soonest they could install it is NOVEMBER 28 - ONE MONTH AFTER IT BROKE. So now I've lost two large drawers of frozen food that spoiled. I have no refrigerator this week for my birthday and for Thanksgiving. I have to wait another 9 days to get it fixed. I am NOT HAPPY. I am sharing this experience so anyone considering buying this or any other MAYTAG product will think very carefully before making their purchase. Also, be sure to buy from Lowe's and get the Lowe's service plan for any appliance. I'll try to update this if and when my refrigerator gets repaired.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I purchased the Maytag refrigerator MFF2055DRM on 7/7/16 new. It was suppose to be stainless steel; but now I am seeing rust spots at the top and bottom of the French doors. I clean my refrigeration weekly and find it odd that now it is rusting. Also, I am able to place magnets on the doors - which should not be for stainless steel. In addition, I spend over $100 a year replacing the mandatory filters. I must also place the setting to high to maintain my milk and juices. I must also have to place them in the very back of the refrigeration. I am a single senior and my refrigeration is not overloaded with food; nor am I constantly in and out of the refridge. Not very happy.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

In July, 2014. I bought brand new Maytag refrigerator with bottom freezer. After 4 years, compressor leaked, and not cooling at all. I tried to check warranty, and Whirlpool Canada said that only specific model has 10-year warranty on compressor issue and mines does not have. So frustrating. Simply don't buy Whirlpool product. This is totally garbage and not reliable company. LG or Samsung has 10-year warranty on compressor for every product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maytag?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

MAYTAG REFRIGERATOR SAFETY ISSUE SHARP EDGE Maytag refrigerator model MRT118FFZ01 purchased Feb.2018. There is a safety issue, sharp edges. Maytag has been aware of this for over 1yr from customer reviews. I went to consumer affairs.com and there are numerous complaints on products/customer service. I have been asking for a replacement door since Feb.

On Sept. 7th I cut the palm of my hand on sharp edge, drew blood, no stitches but I was very upset. Called Maytag, transferred to the "safety" dept. sent out service tech. He reported that it was a safety issue, very sharp edge, he had to put duct tape on corner to prevent any more injuries! He requested that new doors(freezer&refrigerator door) only be sent, I do not want/need the whole unit replaced. Freezer door has sharp edge also. I have numerous emails to/from corporate office begging since Feb. for a new doors so that this would not happen! Maytag's "solution" is to "buy back refrigerator" or "I should pick another model". Neither is a "solution" for me.

I picked this model for a reason. I asked them to provide me with the simplest solution which is to contact factory where it is made, red flag it, talk to manager, quality control check to see that there are no sharp edges before it is shipped to me. They refuse to do that 1 simple common courtesy, customer service request! They cannot guarantee that door will come without a sharp edge! My model is not the only 1 with this problem. I talked to salesman & model in store has sharp edge & in the reviews the same model had sharp edge which was submitted over 1yr ago!

So Maytag has been aware of this safety issue for some time now but chooses to do nothing about it! I chose Whirlpool because of the "name", I thought it stood for quality & above all excellent customer service. Was I wrong, found that out thru numerous phone/email conversations. They just don't care! Is it too much to ask Maytag to give me a refrigerator with no safety issues?!!!

I have talked to Aaron in the corporate office, he was no help at all. His # 866-817-5404 ext **. I have all the emails to/from him. Please help, I want this same refrigerator, only model that would work for me. Now that I have had personal injury & have spent so much time/effort, aggravation since Feb. trying to have them "do the right thing" I feel that I am due monetary compensation. Bottom line this complaint is concerning a safety issue & horrible customer service from the call center to corporate offices! The Maytag name isn't what it used to be known for, quality & service.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I bought a new Maytag French door refrigerator a few years ago and have been disappointed ever since. The quality is second rate and now the ice maker has failed. The product looks good but performs poorly. Buy a more quality foreign made product instead. Before this I had an LG which was quieter and never had a problem after 10 years.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Just purchased a Maytag French Door Refrigerator and am I sorry I did! Very noisy and runs continuously. Maytag says it is because it has high-efficiency compressor and fans? How is running continuously efficient? The continuous noise actually keeps me awake at night. Not sure what to do as I have spent $1700. :(

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

We have had this refrigerator (Maytag Side By Side Refrigerator with Ice Dispenser 27 CU) for 5 years this month and have already had to have it serviced once and now the ice dispenser just went out. I wish there was a brand out there that did not have problems and when problems occur, you do not get the runaround to get them fixed!

Original review: July 13, 2018

I have had this refrigerator only "6 weeks". The freezer works but the refrigerator does not cool properly. I went back to Home Depot - Baltimore MD and told them I have lost 3-1 gallons of milk for it spoiled. I am right now putting a 4th gallon in and out of the freezer trying to keep it. A serviceman was to my house the other day and stated this brand new Maytag refrigerator only had in my home 6 weeks needs a new board and a flapper that opens up in freezer that sends cold air to refrigerator. Parts are on order. Home Depot would not trade a Maytag refrigerator that worked well and take this "lemon" back. I am stuck with a lemon I only bought 6 weeks ago.

Original review: July 1, 2018

Purchased side-by-side with bottom freezer 2009 after Hurricane Ike. Fridge has stopped cooling. Called Maytag Customer Center and was told nothing can be done only to find there's a 10 year warranty on the compressor. This malfunction should not be an issue after 8 years. My GE fridge still works after 25+ years. Horrible!

Original review: June 22, 2018

Maytag model MBF1958XEQ1 frost build up and ice build up bottom freezer 2011 model. Recently refrigerator not able to stay cold. Contacted Associated Service Corp. because my fridge had a ten year warranty on the compressor only. It cost me $377 dollars to have a service tech change the circuit board and remove a rubber drain valve that was blocking the excess water drain to the evaporator tray. It is working well now but will keep looking for ice build up.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I started getting a really nasty odor coming from the vent of my fridge. I cleaned it out multiple times hoping that would help. No change. Never had any spills and I have never had mice but pulled out the fridge to make sure it wasn't something dead behind or under it. Nothing. I called the brick to tell them what was going on. They advised me that my fridge was under a year old so I had to call Maytag because they covered the first year warranty. I called Maytag. They completely dismissed me saying they don't cover odors and there is nothing they would do. So then I called the brick back very upset. The Brick then contacted Maytag to which a Technician would be sent out.

The Technician came to my house to inspect the fridge. He findings were that there was in fact no spills or any reason on my behalf that would be causing the odor. However he did find that the foam insulation expanded to the point that the seams of my fridge were pushed out. Thus probably causing condensation in the walls creating the smell over time. He told me to keep a copy of the report because I would more than likely need it because he doubted Maytag would honor their manufacturer warranty.

When I called Maytag back to find out what was the next step they tried to tell me that the tech found nothing and there is nothing they could do. At this point I made it clear that I had a copy of the report and that there was in fact a manufacturer's defect. And that if something was not done I would take the report to the Better Business Bureau. She proceeded to put me on hold for 45 minutes and came back saying they have to send another technician. (Probably one who would report what they wanted reported). I am 2 weeks in with no fridge cause the smell infiltrates anything I put in it. With no resolve. Shame on you Maytag. Sincerely a VERY disgusted customer.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Maytag 18.5 cu ft Bottom Freezer Refrigerator purchased 12/10/12. 1/12/16 the bottom of the freezer had an inch of ice that leaked onto the floor. My plumber chipped away ice and unclogged drains $97.50. 4/19/18) the same $97.50. 5/22/18 an appliance repair business installed a drain kit $148.40. This was his 25th Maytag with the same problem. A whole website has complaints about this problem. I sent a letter to Maytag and they wanted to send out their technician to find out the problem (with a service cost to me). With all these complaints, and a kit to fix it, they already know the problem but refuse to do anything about it. Maytag used to be a reputable company. No more. The customer service said I should have bought an extended warranty. I said a $1400 refrigerator should last longer than 3 years (the first leaking occurrence). I will never buy a Maytag product (nor Whirlpool that makes it).

Original review: May 17, 2018

At two different times today I was left on hold for thirty minutes each. I was told the compressor only had a year warranty on it, can't do anything about it. I then went online to Maytag web page and it read only on compressor the warranty had ten years. I called them after a very long wait and was told that was just started with the ten year warranty. I have owned many different refrigerators never heard of compressor only lasting 5 years. The serviceman who came out to tell me compressor was bad said the name Maytag used to stand for something but now stands for junk. Worse customer service, worse product.

Original review: May 8, 2018

My Maytag french door has worked steadily for 12 + years. It’s a basic model, ice maker in freezer. No door dispensers or electronics. I would buy it again.

Original review: May 6, 2018

We have had our side by side Kenmore for years and it hasn't let us down! We eat mostly fresh food since we cook a lot and we always have plenty of space for our food. We are only a family of 2 though. They say the ice maker is the first to fail and it has not given us any issues for nearly 10 years now! Love Kenmore!

Original review: May 5, 2018

The freezer leaks water onto the floor in large pools. Had it repaired, two weeks later, still leaks. Very unhappy with the performance of the bottom freezer Maytag refrigerator.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Maytag is a product that I would buy any time. Even uses it well last for a long time. If you want to spend money this is a good investment for your kitchen and as for your laundry get the washer and dryer. You do get your money's worth with Maytag.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Frigidaire makes a good fridge. It works good. It has an alarm when you leave as door open. Great appliance. If I could afford it I'd get another one when this old model I have gives up on me.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Ice maker quit working after only 3 yrs. Refrigerator would not cool enough... Had to spend over $600.00 to have it repaired. Not very happy it, at all!

Original review: April 18, 2018

Never buy from Maytag. I and my daughter bought from them two refrigerators of them. After one month my daughter started to fix. I am started after one year or it is leaking. Our freezer destroyed and realize this after one day all my food I throw away. The same was with my daughter refrigerator. My daughter have old refrigerator it is working without problem for 50 year never fixed. Never ever buy from them anything. It is good I was at home. Sometimes I am traveling if it happens this time. I do not want to think about this. For fixing you have to pay lot of money. I hate that I purchased something with them.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I am a HVACR Contractor. I call numerous time Maytag to have technical support for a Fridge that I got from them. But they never help me out. Instead they offered me to give me info about a repair service close to me. It was very frustrated since I explained to them that I just need an electrical diagram to figured out the malfunction. But all that I got from them was a denial. Fortunately at the end I was able to fix the problem myself. It was a defective main board. For sure in the future I am not going to get appliances from them. The fridge fail before five years of ownership, and the people of Maytag didn't helped me at all. They deserve "0" Star.

Original review: March 29, 2018

The engineers at Maytag saved a few pennies by only using one thermistor for temperature control. It is in the box. There is nothing monitoring the temperature in the freezer. If you put your fridge in the garage where the temp is 40 degrees, the motor will never come on, and your frozen foods will melt! In my new MRT118FFFZ01 unit, the temperature in the box varies by plus or minus 3 degrees F, but the freezer varies from minus1 1 to plus 25 degrees F. 36 degrees difference! Lousy design. Have had two service calls, and they both said that this was the way it was designed and there is no fix for it.

Original review: March 5, 2018

We had a $1700 French Door refrigerator delivered in January, the ice maker worked for 4 days. 4 service calls by 2 different companies and still not making ice. After fighting tooth and nail, we finally got a new fridge.. upon installation the water in the door spewed everywhere and would not shut off, so yet another new fridge was ordered and delivered last Friday. So, after countless hours, missed worked wages and having strangers in and out of our home 7 times, they offered us a lousy $50 prepaid gift card for our trouble. After a little long drawn out fight, they increased it to $130 and said that was their maximum compensation: Shame on you Maytag, that values our time and hourly wage at about $1.00 an hour. NEVER AGAIN!!

Original review: March 5, 2018

My refrigerator temperature control panel started flashing lights and the ice maker flap started opening and closing over and over. I checked online and there are numerous model #'s doing the same thing, most all contacted Maytag, some were fixed for no charge. Some were not even though they admitted there was a defect in the electronic control panel. I was one of the ones they refused to fix because they said it was an older model but they fixed a 2006 model, a defective part is a defective part no matter the age especially if they know and admit there is a problem with the control panel.

I can't understand why they won't take care of their problem, so now I have to spend over $300.00 to fix a problem that they made in manufacturing, that is not an outrageous amount, thank goodness, but I just don't understand why they won't stand behind their product when they can fix out for probably half that cost to take care of their problem. I didn't make the refrigerator, they did.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

The glass shelves stop 2 1/2 inches from the back of the refrigerator. Things keep falling down in back. I have a counter depth. Can't afford to lose any space. Freezer poorly designed for space compared to one I had before.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Two months after purchasing our Maytag refrigerator, the light/cooling unit went out. After speaking with Maytag’s customer service and scheduling a repair company to come fix it, it took 3 separate trips over a span of 2 or 3 weeks to finally find the correct replacement piece to get it to work again. It is now 10 months since buying and we, once again, are having issues with the lights going out and randomly coming back on, the water/ice machine not dispensing, and we’re just waiting to see if the cooling unit isn’t out as well.

I called Maytag as soon as we noticed the issue, and after waiting 15 minutes on hold, they scheduled a repair service to come check it out... in 5 days. Having spent $2300 on a refrigerator for our family, we were hoping for a reliable product. I would NOT RECOMMEND this refrigerator and will never buy anything, or let any friends or family members purchase anything, Maytag manufactures ever again. As if the faulty product itself weren’t bad enough, I have had the absolute worst customer service experience. Who would have thought it could be so difficult to look up a customer account, even after having it registered with Maytag after purchasing.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I would look at Maytag first when and if this one goes belly up but I have a feeling that will never happen. Excellent performer and very quiet running. Looks great in Steel.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Stainless steel 2 door refrigerator with a bottom drawer freezer. Good space in both. Finish is almost fingerprint free. I bought 5 appliances at the same time so pricing was very good.

Maytag expert review by Jonathan Trout

Maytag designs and makes kitchen appliances, washers and dryers and central heat and air units. They have two models of chest freezers and three upright freezers.

• 15 cubic foot freezer: The 15 cubic foot model is Maytag’s smallest version of chest freezer. It comes with a 10-year limited warranty for parts and the compressor. It features an interior light and a keypad door lock. It retails for $549.

• 22 cubic foot freezer: Maytag’s 22 cubic foot chest freezer is its largest freezer and comes with a 10-year warranty on parts and the compressor. It includes an interior light and a keypad lock for the door. It costs an estimated $47 a year to operate. The 22 cubic foot freezer costs $849.

• Upright freezers: Maytag makes three stand-alone upright freezers ranging in size from 16 to 20 cubic feet. They all include a 10-year limited warranty on parts and the compressor, LED lighting and frost free technology to prevent ice build up. The 16 cubic foot freezer costs $649, the 18 cubic foot freezer costs $749 and the 20 cubic foot freezer costs $849.

• Specification documents: Maytag provides all specifications online in PDF form. You’ll find the warranty, manuals, dimension guide and energy guide online under each model's web page.

• Best for: consumers looking for simple features in a chest freezer.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout