Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home
KitchenAid Refrigerators
1.17/5

KitchenAid Refrigerators

Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home

950 KitchenAid Refrigerators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 16, 2019

We bought our refrigerator in 2012 and have had problems since day one. We've replaced the control panel, both coils, and have had multiple service calls for the ice maker. I need to empty and manually defrost the refrigerator at least every 9 months. I would not recommend KitchenAid.

Original review: May 15, 2019

We recently remodeled our kitchen and because our old appliances were KitchenAid and we were happy with them we decided to go with the brand again. Such a mistake. Within a few months the finishes on the fridge and the dishwasher are discolored, spotty, and there is rust showing through on the fridge door in multiple places. The handle on the freezer door won't stay tight. The "self cleaning" oven is a joke. These are overpriced, poor quality appliances. We bought an extended warranty which is no help for these issues. In spite of the fact that I was calm and factual with the "resolution specialist" was sarcastic and condescending. I'm kicking myself for not doing more research as there are a ton of negative reviews out there stating the same complaints. I will share this story with everyone I can to be sure this product isn't purchased.

Get expert buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 15, 2019

After paying $3000 in 2014 and a product exchange in late 2014, I've had nothing but trouble and repairs. Today, I find out the mother-board went and the manufacturer discontinued the part. Now I'm stuck with an un-repairable product.

Original review: May 13, 2019

When we purchase our home, we inherited a built-in refrigerator, model listed above, and it immediately broke down. We had a home warranty and it was repaired satisfactorily under that warranty without assistance from KitchenAid. It was around a 1K repair. The unit was 6 years old. The next repair was one month "out of warranty" and we repaired again. This time it was over $600.

Now my fridge is dead again. I contacted KitchenAid to request a concession due to the fact that the first repairs were done without their assistance and the fact that this unit cannot seem to operate without major repairs. Mind you, this unit's replacement cost is over 14K. They denied my request for assistance. We now are facing replacing the entire sealed system and multiple boards, and maybe the evaporator fan motor (that have already been replaced before at our cost). I would not ever consider purchasing another unit from KitchAid due to the longevity and customer satisfaction. At our prior home we had a SubZero built-in that was purchased new in 1987 for 6K and when our home sold 29 years later, it was still working with only minor issues during those 29 years.

Original review: May 9, 2019

We purchased the most expensive refrigerator made by KitchenAid and after 6 months we noticed the stainless steel in and out was rusting. I contacted KitchenAid and was told that the 6 month warranty was up. We had purchased the refrigerator for a home we were renovating which took longer than expected. I will never purchase another KitchenAid product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KitchenAid?

Original review: May 1, 2019

Purchased a new, expensive Kitchenaid refrigerator. Almost immediately, the door handles started falling off, requiring constant repair. Then, just over a year after purchase, it started to freeze and completely malfunction requiring us to turn off and defrost on a bi-weekly basis. Kitchenaid did nothing to address this. Going to have to buy an entirely new refrigerator.

Original review: April 29, 2019

We purchased a French door KitchenAid refrigerator six years ago. Two days after the warranty expired there was a leak. We contacted a repair company and he said KitchenAid’s aware of this problem and they aren’t doing anything to fix it. He did fix the leak. The next year the icemaker went. We had that replaced. Now there is a different leak from the water reservoir. The water reservoir and assembly is obsolete and there is no replacement.

After doing some research I found a replacement part number, but that replacement part is also obsolete. We will end up turning off the water supply for the water dispenser and just start buying bottled water again. This is the second time we had a KitchenAid refrigerator. We had no problems with the first one which was at a different property. Was still going after 12 years when we sold the property. When we remodeled the kitchen in our current home we went with KitchenAid. Now we are so disappointed. We can’t justify buying a new refrigerator only because of the water reservoir leak.

Original review: April 25, 2019

My compressor overheated. Dangerously hot. I do not want the same part. There is no way to know how much damage was done! Not to mention fire hazard. I was told by KitchenAid it is my responsibility to unplug. I guess if you really want a KitchenAid fridge no sleeping or going out of town. I was told this did not meet their standard for safety hazard yet they could not give the standards that do! The ice maker has gone out. The water flow takes 5 minutes to fill the glass. The best was that I did not need to worry about fire, because the refrigerator walls would contain it! Keep in mind the bottom portion is cardboard!!! My last call the guy hung up on me!!! If you are thinking about KitchenAid don't. If you just got one run don't walk it right back in the store!!!

Original review: April 18, 2019

I would suggest not buying this refrigerator -- this will be the 4th time I have had to put my food in coolers with ice. The repairman even replaced the motherboard. Presently it is warm again. 56 degrees. It should be at 32 degrees. SO IF YOU DON'T MIND THE INCONVENIENCE GO AHEAD AND BUY THIS TRASH!! TOTALLY DISGUSTED WITH THIS PRODUCT. I will never buy from KitchenAid again as they know about the problem and cannot fix it properly. Repairman coming again in the morning.

Original review: April 11, 2019

This is the second Kitchenaid refrigerator I owned. The first one had problems right from the start. Multiple repairs within the year. Symptoms were not cooling properly, no ice, ice buildup on evaporator coil. Kitchenaid finally replaced the unit because of leak in sealed system. The second one came Jan 2018. By March had issues again. The same problems. Ice build up, no ice, not holding temp. 5 more house calls, loss of food, missed work then conveniently after the manufacturer's Warranty expired Kitchenaid deemed it unrepairable. How convenient. I could have told them that back in March.

The only problem is that now I am in extended warranty and they only offer 70% of the value. They would not say why it was unrepairable (the sealed system again which should have a 5 year manufactures warranty). I know this because it's the same problem as the first one and the same symptoms on last house call. What else would be unrepairable?? I spent 4 hours on phone trying to get satisfaction but they just said, "I can transfer you but it will be same answer." Unbelievable that they would rather lose customers for life than replace what is apparently a Manufacturing issue.

You can search for class action lawsuits and find many complaints on the same issue. They simply do not care.... I actually believe they deliberately instructed the repair people what to do to stretch out the time to avoid giving me another replacement or my full purchase price money back. I bought Model KRFF707ESS01 for $3,500. Never had a working unit for more than a few months.

Original review: April 8, 2019

This refrigerator is just over 1 year old and it has stopped cooling 5 times. It is a defect that KitchenAid is aware of and they aren't doing anything to fix it. They have an internal service bulletin on this issue. They send a repairman out and he replaces a part and 2 months later it stops cooling due to ice build up behind cold cut/vegetable drawer. They continue to make different repairs until your warranty is expired, then you are out of luck. KitchenAid knows they have a bad product. They don't have a permanent solution, yet they continue to sell this model. What kind of company does this? How do they get away with it? AN ATTORNEY NEEDS TO FILE A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT! Maybe that will get KitchenAid's attention.

Original review: April 2, 2019

We have now had 3 different refrigerators from Jenn-Air and KitchenAid in the last year because they keep breaking down. The Jenn-Air refrigerators compressor completely died and they had to give us a new fridge. We picked a KitchenAid and 2 months later it stopped making ice and we found out there's a wiring problem. They are giving us a new one again. I am so frustrated with this situation.

Original review: March 29, 2019

The 5 door KRMF models are crap. Please do not buy. I paid over $4000+ and it has stopped working over 6 times. Lost hundreds of dollars in food and Kitchenaid refuses to replace. They schedule service 1 week out so I am left inconvenienced. Not worth the hassle!

Original review: March 25, 2019

We bought this KitchenAid refrigerator 20 years ago and never had a problem with it. All our appliances are KitchenAid and they do a great job. The only complaint that I have is that it is a double door and it is very small inside. I like big and roomy appliances. This is not a roomy appliance but it works for us. We have to purchase new appliances. I look for ones with room and efficiency.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Fridge is about 6 years old. Had the compressor replaced twice. Tech on his way this afternoon. I suspect it's the compressor again. Have had issues with water leaking. No ice or ice melting... Replaced the front heater on the icemaker, the ice chute., gaskets on the door itself, still no ice. The freezer would not freeze ice cream or even bread! We have had multiple issues. The KitchenAid helpline rude and not helpful. Do not buy this refrigerator.

Original review: March 19, 2019

This refrigerator is not even 2 years old and one of the LED lights burned out. Long story short, technician could not fix it, he said "you need a new fridge", say what, for a light bulb??? KitchenAid offers to replace it, oh by the way it will cost you $600.00 because it is out of warranty. I ask KitchenAid if they are for real, "$600.00 for a light bulb", are you kidding me. Everything else on the fridge works but the LED lights. Poor design such that the connector pulls off the wires that are buried inside the cabinet and the modern techs do not know how to repair, therefore, need new fridge is the answer. Do not buy this fridge if you want something that lasts. Also do not bother to call KitchenAid customer service, they are no help at all. I bought this fridge, a double oven and a dishwasher, all at the same time. I will never buy KitchenAid again.

Original review: March 6, 2019

We purchased a high end KitchenAid refrigerator (almost 3,000) and began having problems within 6 months. Have had 6 technician visits to attempt to fix (back of refrigerator freezes up, can't get filtered water, stops cooling and food rots in our absence). EVERY replaceable part that is not considered part of the "inner compartment" has been replaced. Our last technician, in writing, wrote that there was nothing else that could be done except replace the entire refrigerator and that ours was "a lemon". I called the manufacturer (Whirlpool/KitchenAid) and they told me that I had a problem and they didn't, in other words... I was SOL. DO NOT BUY A KITCHENAID REFRIGERATOR or for that matter ANYTHING under the WHIRLPOOL umbrella since they will not stand by their products. Buy a GE!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I got a new KitchenAid refrigerator from Home Depot. It took 4 weeks to be delivered. Then just 3 weeks it broke, nothing works. I call KitchenAid customer service only to be told their computer system is down and there nothing she can do. So I ask to talk to a manager and she hang up on me. Really just brought a 4000 dollar refrigerator and this is the way I get treated. Do yourself a favor and don't buy KitchenAid.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Purchased all new appliances 4 years ago, worst mistake and purchase ever made. Our KitchenAid fridge, oven, dishwasher and microwave were all replaced 4 times. That was by the store we bought them from NOT the actual company as KitchenAid will not replace their defective junk. The fridge we have now was purchased in 2016 and has been repaired 3 times already, currently pending a fourth repair after having to fight with the executive office this morning. Our fridge is making the loudest vibrating noise you can’t stand to stay in our 3600sq ft home. Customer service could get someone out by the 26th! Two weeks away. I called the service company they schedule at and they luckily had a cancellation tomorrow but told me it’s not under warranty. KitchenAid sent over the old fridge they replaced model number and warranty info., which, it would still have been covered.

When I called executive management again today they wanted to blame me saying there are so many files. It’s hard to find things. So I had to give Nikisha the work order number her customer service gave me! Then she said, "Oh, it was a manual submission." Seriously?! Then I had to read the warranty to her from the book I was given about how the warranty works. Horrible appliances, horrible customer service and I dread tomorrow as every time service comes out it requires a part and parts take 2-4 weeks to receive!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I bought my french door bottom mount refrigerator in 2013. I have started having issues with the freezer and ice maker. The technician who came to check the fridge told me that this is a very common problem with KitchenAid. We have to pay $390.00 for labor and if the parts are not covered in extended warranty pay for that too. Our extended warranty ran out in 2018. We were also told that the dye leaks and it will have to be replaced every 4 or 6 months. I am annoyed at the expense this fridge is going to cost us.

I called the appliance pros for KitchenAid and they did not help in any way. They are very rude and nobody knows anything there. They went on telling me, “We don't know how things work in Canada.” Well why then are you selling appliances in Canada. They know how to give customers a runaround and beat about the bush. I would not recommend this fridge to anybody. Please buy a fridge by a company which stands behind its product.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Ice dispenser never sealed properly. Ice bin would freeze solid and local repair wasn't satisfactory. Finally, after the electric panel on the freezer door shorted out, we were told we needed an entire new door for over $1700. These doors are apparently made when ordered, so it took over 8 weeks to get the first door. It arrived crushed and unusable. Then the morons at KitchenAid made a second door, which also arrived damaged and unusable. Now we are waiting for third door to be delivered. DO NOT BUY ANY KITCHENAID MAJOR APPLIANCE! We had GE refrigerators for decades and never had a problem. KitchenAid goes out of its way to make crap and offend customers!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

We purchased all new appliances when we remodeled our kitchen in Aug 2017. The refrigerator quit making ice in Jan 2019. I had a repairman come out and replace the freezer's fan motor. That fixed the problem, I thought, but now the ice cream in the freezer is super soft. It costs $115 for the repair guy to just come out to diagnose the problem. The last issue cost me almost $400. Now I have to have the thing looked at again. We purchased all KitchenAid appliances because we thought they were able to last with fewer repairs, guess we were wrong. The refrigerator was a major purchase but to need to call out for repairs again is unbelievable.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

As has been noted in other reviews, KitchenAid has issues with the ice makers not functioning correctly and prematurely breaking. Not even three years into owning the refrigerator, the ice maker has now completely burned up. Brought the issue to KitchenAid/Whirlpool's attention and they just dodged questions about the issue being a known issue and inquiries if there have been other reports of the problem (which there obviously have been, as one can see clearly in the reviews). Instead, they tried to get us to contact the seller and ask them to cover the repair. $2400.00 for a refrigerator is not cheap... We won't be buying KitchenAid, Whirlpool, Maytag, Jenn-Air, or any other brand under the Whirlpool umbrella after this experience. (We have several KitchenAid appliances, as we used to think they were a good company.)

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Bought a French Door KitchenAid fridge 6 years ago for $3500. Consumer Reports "BEST BUY" HA HA! Have had NOTHING but problems. So the electronic panel on the front went out yesterday and the unit totally shut down. Repairman came out and guess what... THEY DON'T MAKE THE PART ANYMORE! REALLY. How can you not continue to make a major part for an appliance that you made and sold only 6 years ago. So now it is totally useless. DO NOT BUY KITCHENAID APPLIANCES! I hope this company goes the way of Sears.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I purchased a double door freezer bottom KitchenAid refrigerator on May 28, 2018. 7 months later I am waiting for the repairman for the second time. The entire unit has stopped working twice already. I have lost all perishables both times. KitchenAid refuses to replace this defective appliance. Today is the third day I have missed work waiting for a repairman. This unit cost me $2800.00. Do not buy a KitchenAid product. KitchenAid is no longer a name brand you can rely on.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

The fridge started leaking at the top. I paid $115 from a repairman to be told this is a known defect for this fridge (air leak at the top). So KitchenAid should offer free repair for anyone who this affects. They are now made differently, so why should I be stuck with a lemon? I am so mad right now, repairing it is out of the question as I was quote $650. Also if this is a known defect, why didn't KitchenAid alert us? I could have saved $115 by not having a repairman out to our house. The solution for this is to turn the water off to our fridge and not having a water or ice maker, which is half the reason we bought the fridge. Stay away from this entire brand. We are also dealing with a Kitchenaid microwave that the whole door has fallen apart, literally, cracking and chipping away and I spent $225 for a new door that should arrive any day.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Kitchen Aid 3-door fridges, that is double door on top of a freezer door are the WORST design ever. After few years the doors will not close the hinges will break and the compressor will fail. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS GARBAGE AND CHEAP PRODUCT. Save your money and go with the competition.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

We bought all new KitchenAid appliances in our new home 2 years ago. The refrigerator, French door, started having issues with the bottom veggie drawer not closing all the way. Ice was forming behind the drawer. Finally we went to the store where we purchased the appliances and they came out and repaired the problem. Cost $193. Wish we had purchased the extended warranty. I thought we were buying a better product because of the name and price. Next time I will buy GE $1000 or more cheaper than this brand. I wish things were built to last. Everything now is disposable and cost outrageous prices. It's sad that we pay such a high price and then have to pay 100s more to keep the thing working after only two years! From what I've read in these reviews KitchenAid has really went downhill as a "top of the line" appliance. So as for me and mine no more KitchenAid.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I purchased a new fridge stove and dishwasher less than 2 years ago. All three of the appliances have had problems since the day I got them. KitchenAid appliances will never go in my kitchens. The sad part is they don’t want to make it better. My dishwasher won’t drain as of today. My stoves control board is out. My freezer seals are bad. What’s next???

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

When we moved into our new house (new build) this was our refrigerator. It looked wonderful, but that's about all I can say positive about it or Whirlpool. Constant icing issues with no resolution from Whirlpool. This is a known issue as I've come to find, but all Whirlpool does is provide a "repair" to melt the ice. No replacement, this is the third or fourth time this has happened. My recommendation is to NEVER buy this model, and if possible, never buy from Whirlpool.

KitchenAid expert review by ConsumerAffairs

KitchenAid is an American home appliance brand owned by Whirlpool. The company began in 1919, and it makes a variety of refrigerator sizes and styles.

• Variety: KitchenAid makes refrigerators with a range of different features, such as climate control, intuitive controls, spill-resistant glass and more.

• Price: KitchenAid offers a range of prices so that customers can find the model they are looking for within the price range they want.

• Features: KitchenAid's fridges come with many features, such as icemakers, French doors, side-by-side doors and bottom freezers.

• Availability: It's easy to find KitchenAid's products at many retail stores, as well as on its website.

• Free delivery service: KitchenAid will deliver your refrigerator to your house at no charge and install it for you.

• Best for: Homeowners and college students looking for a basic fridge.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs