1.86/5
Based on 96 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

896 KitchenAid Refrigerators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I always wanted to own a KitchenAid appliances Because they’re supposed to be on a higher brand. We finally renovated my dream kitchen and I bought all KitchenAid appliances except for dishwasher which I got a Fisher & Paykel 2 drawer one. Anyway after 8 mos since I bought the Counter depth refrigerator KRFC704FSS It started having a problem with the ice maker. Called in for a service and said they will replace it and in a week the cooling system started to have problems. I called again for service and the guy said it’s a thermostat and they have to order the parts.

I called customer service to follow up on the order and they said that it needs to be replaced because they been having problems with the cooling and that the model 704 Is being pulled out and being discontinued so I need to find another model. There’s so much inconvenience on this considering it’s a KitchenAid brand name. I was heartbroken because I really love the fridge and the platinum interiors and its counter depth feature.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

We purchased a model home that came with all the kitchen appliances. The appliances were purchased in January 2015. We have live in our new house for a little over a year. I am very disappointed in the Kitchen Aid Side by Side, model KSF26G4XYY03. In the past year, we have had two drawers break in the refrigerator. The face of the drawer came off and plastic on the drawer cracked off. Also, a drawer in the freezer busted where the plastic covers the wheel of the drawer. This is NOT quality construction. I was told by Product Registration in Benton Harbor, MI that only the bins are covered through years 2 - 5...really??? When this refrigerator needs to be replaced, it will not be by a Kitchen Aid.

Get expert buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

The refrigerator was in the house that we bought. It looked very nice and we were excited to have it. It is only 5 years old. It started making a horrible noise constantly. The repairman found the problem, but couldn't just buy the part needed. We had to buy a kit that costs $269 and $34 to ship!!! I already spent $99 for the repairman to show up once. Now I will have to pay him $99 again, plus labor. Never buy a KitchenAid anything!!!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Ok, here we go! I am writing this review in the midst of having to repair an only 2-year old KitchenAid KRFF507ESS01 refrigerator. I wish I had seen these consumer report reviews prior to purchase!! Please take my review seriously so that I can prevent someone else from making the same mistake!! The major issues started about 3 months ago!! First, we noticed a noise (maybe fan) coming from back of fridge... louder at some times than others. I also didn’t realize at time that water leaking from ice dispenser when in use had preceded the noise! I just previously ‘chalked’ that issue up because it didn’t occur all the time! After about a couple of weeks of the noise getting louder and softer, it went away!

The bigger issue a couple of weeks later became that the fridge was not cooling properly... Supposed to be 37* in fridge. And at this point the ice maker was not working well; making a handful of ice cubes that were not fully formed! My husband and I ran through the manuals extensive list of troubleshooting advice but could not find the issue! We cleaned the front vent from dust thinking this may be the cause... This seemed to resolved issue or so we thought!! 2 days later the fridge and ice maker were malfunctioning again with same issues except the noise!! I also purchased a thermometer for fridge and freezer to see what internal temps were... 50* in fridge and 30* in freezer! I purchased these because there is no other way that fridge indicates internal temps??? Only set temperature is accessible from LCD panel!

I called a repairman who walked in and immediately knowing the (common) issue from a bottom freezer fridge, pulled out the deli drawer which revealed ice formed completely covering condenser cover. He proceeded to tell me these are the worst refrigerators (bottom freezer) and also that they are not built to last more than a year before needing repairs! He said he recommends anybody purchasing one to get the extended warranty because the manufacturer warranty is EXTREMELY limited beyond 1 year as stated in manual. He then ordered a fan, wire and harness and cover (I imagine because he may break existing cover removing it). Boom! $169. For service call. He wasn’t sure what parts will cost yet because his iPad was not working and had to place order on phone through his employer.

He then gave me instruction to empty fridge and freezer and leave doors open to defrost ice for 2 days! Thanks KitchenAid once again!! I had to throw out over $500 worth of food from fridge and freezer!! He then said that it will get down to proper temps and that I could use again but that buildup of ice will start again but hopefully be resolved with replacement parts. Hopefully doesn’t sound promising!!

Unfortunately, I didn’t purchase an extended warranty but that isn’t the point I’m trying to make! The fact of the matter is that KitchenAid builds a crappy fridge!! Unfortunately, I purchased matching dishwasher and wall oven/microwave combo at same time so now I’m just waiting for issues with these (As a side note, the handle on freezer drawer loosens all the time for which I have to tighten with allen wrench every few days!)!! Well that’s my story as I wait for replacement parts and looking forward to that bill! Sincerely FRUSTRATED KitchenAid customer!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I posted a 5 star review too quick. One and a half years we got to use the replacement. It absolutely sounds like it will take off at any moment!!! Very loud. I know this is not normal. Another round of repair appointments. Please don't buy KitchenAid... It is such a waste of time!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KitchenAid?

Original review: July 30, 2018

Had to buy this refrigerator to fit into an existing built in space. The size fit perfectly. Only positive to our experience. DO NOT BUY this refrigerator for the following reasons: Installed in Jan 2016 and already had to replace icemaker, slides on bottom drawer don't work, seals on top french doors moldy, temperature not regulated in refrigerator, and freezer section froze up. Labor costs to repair is very high: quoted $340 to replace freezer drawer slides and around $100.00 each time someone comes out to check. Mold started accumulating on refrigerator seals. Noticed some small rust spots on the freezer door (exterior) that I could not remove. We do not overload either freezer or refrigerator and we vacuum out coils regularly. My next review will be on my Kitchenaid double ovens - very disappointed with these as well!!!

Original review: July 27, 2018

Paid 2800. Horrible refrigerator, after year I had three service calls, ice melting water all over the floor. Refrigerator warm not cooling down, ice build up in the freezer. Waiting three days for service. Horrible service. For a brand new refrigerator they keep ordering for parts. Are used to always buy Maytag. One mistake and I’m paying for it dearly.

Original review: July 26, 2018

It is exactly only 2 wks. since we purchased a KitchenAid French door fridge. Last night clicking sounds were emitting from the fridge to which we could not find the source. This morning to our shock and horror all of the frozen food were thawing out, the refrigerator section did not feel as cold as it should be as well. Knowing we are under warranty we called KitchenAid to try and get service. However, their customer service is also horrible. Was put on hold listening to idiotic music for over 15 minutes with no one coming to answer the call. That is totally unacceptable.

In the meantime, we read the internet information saying that clicking noises signify a faulty compressor. This is really astounding considering that the fridge is just a couple of weeks in our possession. We have never had any major appliance fail badly like this and so quickly too. To conclude, we are returning to that major big box store where we purchased this defective appliance from and will have it returned. And we will NOT purchase another KitchenAid product ever again, not even to replace this damaged, useless fridge! Also we do not recommend anyone to waste good money and precious time on considering purchasing any KitchenAid product. Ironically we were told by the delivery person that KitchenAid is a durable, high end brand. It definitely isn't!!

Original review: July 20, 2018

Stay away from buying a KitchenAid refrigerator. We purchased a $3,500 fridge in 2013 and we are on our 3rd one. Every 2 years or less the compressor goes. We wait over a week to get it replaced and the food all has to be thrown out. Pathetic appliance. In fact, I put it in the garage and purchased another fridge that we can rely on. Too bad as my son and 2 nephews all purchased homes this year and we made sure they did not buy KitchenAid!

Original review: July 18, 2018

Built In Side by Side Purchased 1999. In 2000 the ice dispenser started leaking water and the panel in the door discolored. Thank goodness it was fixed at no charge after threatening to sue. Forward to 2016 refrigerator quit working and it took numerous visits to replace a fan, in the freezer, charge with Freon, replace the compressor, forward to 2017 and the refrigerator needed a valve replaced but the valve was discontinued (door from freezer left slightly opened). July 2018 same fan in freezer went out and had to be replaced. One year warranty on fan. I have a side by side Whirlpool from the late 80's and it runs like a top no problems!!!

Original review: July 14, 2018

The wheels on our model Model KSBP25INSS00 turned square and I ordered replacement parts. Woah, there are no standard parts, it is a zoo. The average human cannot replace these as every diagram video and Youtube is different for the same repair! The parts replacements companies do not have accurate replacement numbers.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I have never been more unhappy with products I have bought, we upgraded all our kitchen appliances about 8 years ago and decided to go with KitchenAid products (Refrigerator, Stove top range). We have had numerous issues with both products starting within 2 years of purchase. The stove valves were the first to go, and then failed again several times in the past 6 years. The refrigerator ice maker solenoid was the second item to fail. Recently the refrigerator seal system went, just a few months after the warranty expired. Today the stove ignition switch failed and the stove won't stop clicking. The seal system repair on the refrigerator was estimated at $1700. A new GE sells for 1000. Speaking of GE, I kept my GE refrigerator in the garage and now 23 years later it still works.

Original review: June 29, 2018

My KitchenAid fridge is 9 years old. It has always had too much moisture in it, water pools on the inside. It stopped working entirely one year ago. I called KitchenAid directly for help and the defroster was replaced for $480. Now it stopped working again. I’m not going to sink another $480 into replacing the defroster again. I won’t buy another product from the Whirlpool/Maytag/Amana/KitchenAid brands.

Original review: June 27, 2018

So disappointed in the customer service. Purchased a French door KitchenAid refrigerator six weeks ago. Came with two dented doors and a noisy freezer. Called for service which I had to go through kitchenaid.com for them to schedule. Waited at home for the scheduled service call. No one showed up. Called the service provider and was never put on the schedule. Had to call KitchenAid back. Reschedule for 2 1/2 weeks later and also have to wait 10 weeks for doors. I told them I want a new refrigerator and was told I have to give them an opportunity to fix this. I bought a new refrigerator. I don’t want a refurbished one. Awful awful company. I will NEVER purchase another KitchenAid item as long as I am a homeowner. The customer service is a joke. All they say is "We’re sorry for your inconvenience." They are in no way helpful.

Original review: June 26, 2018

KitchenAid 5 French door Fridge - Don't buy any KitchenAid appliance, everyone is way better off buying a Kenmore, GE, Whirlpool at least you know the product will last and do the job. My fridge does not dispense water after changing the filter, I followed all the instructions including running the water, NOTHING!!! On top of this my freezer door keeps getting stuck with frost, no kids in my house either. I have tried to clean it, keeps happening over and over! I am so done with this stupid fridge, no water, frost and all it is, is Eye Candy for the kitchen but does not function or work. I Might as well go get my 20 yr fridge from the garage and bring it in the house!

Original review: June 19, 2018

In 2012, I purchased a KitchenAid Refrigerator, model KFCS22EVBL. We've had nothing but problems with this product. First, the freezer leaked water onto my beautiful hardwood floor. The refrigerator was repaired but it ruined my hardwood floor. My research indicates that this is a known design defect. I wrote a complaint letter to a Whirlpool executive, who referred me to their "quality assurance expert". What a joke! I was left extremely frustrated and angry. Neither Whirlpool nor its QA representative understand the concept of customer satisfaction. Second, the refrigerator is extremely noisy. We have an open floor plan and sometimes we have to speak over noise from the refrigerator to hear conversations.

Lastly, cleaning the coils is a nightmare. The user instructions state "There is no need for routine condenser cleaning in normal home operating environments." I don't have pets; however, due to dust buildup, I need to vacuum the coils at least 2-3 times a year. Additionally, dust tends to collect behind the front coil and there is no way for the average consumer to reach the area behind the coils.

Yet, Whirlpool's instruction states "Use a vacuum cleaner with a soft brush to clean the grille, the open areas behind the grille and the front surface area on the condenser." Gee, I wish I can figure out how to get behind the front coil. (The attached image shows unreachable dust behind the coil). I suspect the refrigerator was purposely designed this way to shorten the lifetime of the refrigerator. Whirlpool has underestimated this consumer. I will no longer purchase another Whirlpool product, especially since I'm also having problems with my KitchenAid double oven. I'm now looking for another refrigerator.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I have a refrigerator/bottom freezer. 3 years old and the control board goes out. The authorized dealer has a very bad reputation of causing more issues than actually fixing anything so I went with a reputable repair company... since I didn’t go with the sub-standard company the company wouldn’t stand behind the product even though the company I went with is trained in repairing KitchenAid. From what I understand to be an authorized dealer is up for grabs. The highest bidder gets the authorization. Has nothing to do with their credentials. My entire kitchen is KitchenAid... not any more! This repair should have been covered.

Original review: June 13, 2018

As I read through the other reviews, I see that I am one of many dissatisfied customers. I purchased all KitchenAid appliances for my new home almost 5yrs ago. The refrigerator started giving me problems several months ago. Both the freezer & the refrigerator stopped working. A repairman has been out at least 8 or 9 times. It will work for a few weeks & then stop. The repairman keeps coming back over & over & it's still not working properly. I've contacted KitchenAid & their solution is to have another serviceman come out & we have to pay for labor a 2nd time or they can give me 40-50% off on another refrigerator. I thought the life of a refrigerator should be a lot longer than 5 yrs. My last refrigerator, a Kenmore was still working after 20 yrs. I am highly disappointed in KitchenAid for selling me a LEMON. Stay away from KitchenAid Appliances.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I bought a KitchenAid Refrigerator Model KRFC300ESS01 in March, 2017 when I remodeled my kitchen. It is truly the worst refrigerator I have ever owned. It makes loud noises that a refrigerator should not be making. I have had the repairmen out 4 or 5 times because of loud popping and clicking, vibrating noises and because my food is freezing... not just in one area but all over the place... frozen eggs, fruit, etc. They have replaced one part in the back of the fridge twice and it is now broken again! I am going to give the refrigerator away because it is not worth selling and get one that works and does not wake me up at night with loud noises! And I can guarantee it will not be a Whirlpool product!

Original review: June 10, 2018

Appliance is four years old. Came back to our vacation home to a broken freezer/fridge. Three compressors had to be replaced. Lost hundreds of dollars in food. Not to mention the stink. Person checking our home had to throw away all food.

Original review: May 26, 2018

KitchenAid makes a beautiful refrigerator - and that’s it. It is dysfunctional. The water dispenser is not user friendly & EVERY time a guest uses it, ice and water spill everywhere. The ‘water’ sign on the dispenser is wearing off after 4 months of use (2 adults in house only). The adjustable shelves are not. I’ve tried moving the shelves only to gouge the sides of the fridge - so they stay at unusable height. Plastic - so much plastic! I wish I had bought something else...

Original review: May 26, 2018

I bought this expensive piece of crap in November 2017 and it hasn’t worked since day one! I have repeatedly called the 800 number with no satisfaction. The first time it took them 6 months to get the part they said was not working and when they finally showed up yesterday May 25 it only worked a few hours and died again. I called service again and they refuse to give me a new refrigerator and couldn’t come out today to fix it even though I have once again lost everything in my refrigerator.

The person named Pat on their service line refused to transfer me to someone with any decision making authority and refused to do anything more than schedule service again. I will never ever buy KitchenAid again and believe me the world is going to hear about this. I have been more patient than any human should have to be without a refrigerator and without any satisfaction from a company that sold me a defective piece of equipment and refuses to do anything about it. DO NOT BUY KITCHENAID APPLIANCES.

Resolution response: July 19, 2018

I'm happy and delighted to send this update. I'm not sure if this was because of your platform! Kitchen Aid did come through and finally replaced our refrigerator (at no cost)! It was obvious that based on the multiple service calls and parts replacements in and outside of warranty that we had a defective product. It took a while and I had a bad experience with one of their call center representatives but they finally agreed. Things did suddenly seem to change after my initial post to this website. Perhaps it was a coincidence. All we asked and wanted was to standby their product which is pretty expensive as far as refrigerators run. We were ok with the price tag because we were making an investment and upgrade from what we had *(GE Profile).The replacement is working great with no issues! Everything is COLD! No spoiled food after a couple of days, etc. We simply bought an initial product that was defective and never should've passed to production for sale. It does happens even though it's rare. Bottom line. We are now happy with the product which is performing as expected. Thank you for the platform to share with others and thanks to Kitchen Aid for listening and responding appropriately. Resolved. Hope this helps someone.

Original review: May 21, 2018

We have had a terrible experience with the quality and workmanship of our new refrigerator. (Black Stainless Steel). We have had the unit serviced at least 5 times or more in 18 mos. I called customer service explaining that it's clear we had a defective product. (Icing near the compressor, replaced motherboard 3x, not cooling consistently, etc). We asked, "Could we get a replacement?" and was told we were past the 1 year warranty even though we had several repairs during that 1 year period. We said we didn't want to keep monitoring the time on the replacement part. Customer service not helpful. Nothing they can/would do.

I told them we would share this experience with others and we were told, "That's your right to do so" but they will not be able to assist. This is a breach of trust. There is no recourse if you have a defective unit. They will only keep replacing parts even if it's the same part. We have incurred expenses with lost food having to wait on parts to come in. We've had at least 2 motherboard replacements. Technicians have been polite but customer service will not do anything else. Not a good experience given the cost (over $3.5k) -- DO NOT PURCHASE!

Original review: May 17, 2018

We purchased a KitchenAid refrigerator made by Whirlpool 3 yrs ago when we remodeled our kitchen. Before it was even 2 yrs old we started having problems. In the last year we have had to have it repaired 4 times. Even the tech guy said they are a problem. I just wonder how you can sell a product that you know is a piece of crap. Buyer beware. Don't buy a Whirlpool product. I just wonder how many time do we have to go thru this before they make it right?

Original review: May 8, 2018

It is a side by side KitchenAid refrigerator and everything freezes. Many vegetables have been ruined. Even the milk freezes if left near the freezer side of the refrigerator.

Original review: May 6, 2018

KitchenAid Fridge...proud made in America. 3 Failures on ice and water with flooding all over the house in the first 10 months and food thrown out. A whole day of labour to clean up. Thanks to these corrupt manufacturers. What do you test? Sell lemons to your customers. What trust can anyone have with your proud lemons. MADE IN AMERICA...maybe made in China might be a better return for my investment. Another Failure with $1000 dollars of food to be thrown out... This is what I get for $4000 fridge.

You are nothing a bunch of monkeys who build these products and cheat your customers on the quality of the product. Come to my house and I will show you KITCHEN AID MANUFACTURERS...damn cowards! All of them should be thrown in prison for selling lemons. Tell these cowards who run KITCHEN AID...it is nothing but a KITCHEN SINK full of wasted money. It is time the government crackdown on crooks like these and they look to be protected. What a bunch of thieves. How many times should a product fail. They should be held accountable and pay for any failure that takes place by their incompetency. I DO NOT Recommend this product at all...

Original review: May 5, 2018

Bought a complete line of KitchenAid products for a remodel job on my kitchen a year ago. Purchased the products in April 2017 but did not install them until the first part of June. The KRSC503ESS side by side, counter depth refrigerator does not cool properly. In December 2017 I notice the refrigerator was warm and the bottom drawer was not going in all the way. There was an ice build up at the back of the refrigerator. Also, the freezer was not cooling properly. Call for service and they replace a fan motor and thermistor. The unit seem to be working fine until this week. Same problem. Pulled everything out and turned the refrigerator off for 24 hours to let it thaw out. Turned it back on and everything is working fine again. I personally feel there is a bad design in this unit. The bottom doors are against the cooling unit in the back of the refrigerator. I feel this will continue forever.

I call for service again and now KitchenAid and the extended warranty company are saying it's not their problem. The KitchenAid service said that I might be responsible for the service call if they come out and find it is not a warranty issue for them. Additionally, the ice maker makes loud noises when it dumps the ice in the ice container. It does wake me up at night. I thought KitchenAid was suppose to be the higher end of appliances, but boy, was I wrong. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have done my homework a lot more. Never again.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Frustrated and disappointed with KitchenAid regarding refrigerator model number KSC23C8EYY03 bought new in October 2014. Purchased refrigerator in October 2014 for residential use. In May 2016, owners observed ice accumulation behind the crisper drawers of the refrigerator. Items in fridge were not being cooled to appropriate temperature and freezer cold but not adequately freezing contents. Not under warranty at that time, owners called a local service company to review situation and a part was replaced.

Owner then purchases a warranty, which was enacted in September 2016 when the same issue presented itself. Since then KitchenAid warranty has been called - February 2017, July 2017, October 2017, February 2018 and now April 26, 2018 - all for the same issue. The refrigerator is essentially inoperable during each service request every 2-5 months, resulting in food spoilage and loss of money.

Owners are aware of the Lemon Law, however, there is no recognition on KitchenAid Warranty’s part on customer frustration regarding the investment of money into a product that has simply proven 6 times over that it does not work. It wasn’t until speaking with a KitchenAid Warranty supervisor today (April 2018) that owner was informed about the option of filing a food loss claim (again, after dealing with KitchenAid Warranty 5 times since September 2016). We again are having the refrigerator serviced, with the expectation that any repair would prove fruitless, a part will be replaced that won’t get us closer to a Lemon Law review, and resulting in a temporary fix that would need to again be serviced in 3 months time. The service repair technician who has serviced the unit all 6 times is equally frustrated that the solutions given to them by KitchenAid Warranty does not fully resolve the situation.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Purchased all new appliance for our renovated Kitchen in May of 2017. They were installed towards the end of June, and we started having issues with the refrigerator within months. This is Model KRFF305ESS00, French doors, with water dispenser inside on the left-hand side. Once you fill a glass with water, the water dispenser doesn’t shut off properly and continues to drip... not one or two drips... but constantly. I phoned and the first serviceman they sent out told me that there was nothing wrong with it, and that is just the way it is. I called back, they sent another service guy out who said “that’s not right, but I’m not really sure what’s going to fix it, but I will order a new water tank and tube and see if that does the trick. I will also order a new air damper because it seems to be grinding and it shouldn’t be”.

Two weeks later he returned with the parts, installed them, and it worked better for about a month. Now it’s still dripping, and the noise it makes sounds like it’s going to take off. I just called with warranty department, and there is no more coverage. It will cost $139 plus tax just to have someone come out and then more money for whatever parts they want to try next, that likely won’t work. My husband says “take it to the dump, it’s a piece of $3,000 garbage”!!! We will be shopping for another refrigerator... and it won’t be KitchenAid. How do these people stay in business??? Oh... Cathy on the warranty line, sure was trained properly... All she could say was “I certainly understand how you feel, but there is nothing we can do about it”!!!

Original review: April 22, 2018

Kitchenaid French Door - I hate to give this one star when it deserves none at all. I paid over $3000 for this lump of useless metal 2 years ago and the repairs have been countless. Fortunately I also purchased a Sears Service contract. It is now on its fifth ice maker and has had fans, sensors and boards replaced. Admittedly all covered by the contract but the inconvenience involved is important. I just called for a service repair which will be in 8 days. When he comes, he will have to order a part and the appointment will be two weeks on from that. In the mean time we have to buy ice. I bought Kitchenaid because I thought they were reliable but never again. Surely someone makes a decent product.

KitchenAid expert review by ConsumerAffairs

KitchenAid is an American home appliance brand owned by Whirlpool. The company began in 1919, and it makes a variety of refrigerator sizes and styles.

• Variety: KitchenAid makes refrigerators with a range of different features, such as climate control, intuitive controls, spill-resistant glass and more.

• Price: KitchenAid offers a range of prices so that customers can find the model they are looking for within the price range they want.

• Features: KitchenAid's fridges come with many features, such as icemakers, French doors, side-by-side doors and bottom freezers.

• Availability: It's easy to find KitchenAid's products at many retail stores, as well as on its website.

• Free delivery service: KitchenAid will deliver your refrigerator to your house at no charge and install it for you.

• Best for: Homeowners and college students looking for a basic fridge.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

St. Joseph
MI
www.kitchenaid.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business