KitchenAid Refrigerators

Compare Refrigerators

Research top Refrigerators recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Ordered a KitchenAid refrigerator KRM706ESS01 just over a month ago. The refrigerator stopped working on Sunday the 20th and did not see a "technician" until the 23rd. The technician came to the house and told us we needed a part to repair which will not be delivered until the 31st and who knows when the technician will conveniently show up. Now we are out $1000 of Thanksgiving food for 18 people at my house and KitchenAid/Whirlpool offered $100 for the inconvenience, right!! I spent over 2 hours on hold waiting to talk to someone who could actually do something and when I finally was able to speak to someone they were of no help (Tim #**). Looks as though we will be out of a refrigerator for the foreseeable future. I will never buy a KitchenAid product again and will do everything in my power to spread the word of a terrible product/customer service.

Purchased KitchenAid refrigerator from Appliance Smart in Cumming, GA 2014. After one year and a day after purchase, ice maker and freeze stopped working. Called KitchenAid and could not get any help, had to pay 300 for extended warranty. Now one year later, the exact same problem has occurred, no ice and freeze has malfunctioned. KitchenAid refrigerators are awful and customer care gets a ZERO.

Regarding our 42" side by side built-in fridge. After some years it starting making some serious loud noises. Finally the fridge gave out. Repairman said he thought the motherboard had gone. OK, fair enough... just order another motherboard, right? My repairman could not find a motherboard in Canada or in the USA. It had to be order through Kitchenaid... but no problem, right?? The company is American, right??? Not so fast.

The initial timeline was 4 weeks (which is bad enough) but in the end IT WAS 4 MONTHS!!! During this time I called Kitchenaid more than once to find out where my motherboard was. They could not, or would not give me a straight answer as to any timeline to expect it. My thinking was that it was somewhere in China being created. Thank God we had another fridge in the garage but I have learned my lesson. NEVER, NEVER never will I purchase another Whirlpool product ever again!!! You would think when you pay $10,000 for a fridge a better repair experience would follow. Clearly Whirlpool doesn't give a crap. STEER CLEAR, PEOPLE!!!

I have submitted several reviews of my 3-year old KitchenAid 29CF refrigerator before. It seems on every anniversary of its purchase it breaks down in some manner. Previously, it conked out twice when control boards failed, once when the condenser developed leaks, again when the water valve cracked and did $20,000 damage to our kitchen and now, again on an anniversary, the damn ice maker has failed. I will not say anything more than DO NOT EVER BUY ANOTHER KITCHENAID APPLIANCE! I will not, nor will I ever do business with Spencer's Appliances in Phoenix, AZ again due to their complete lack of post-sale support.

We purchased this KitchenAid Household Ref. from Lowe's. 4 1/2 months of owning it there started a loud clicking noise from the back of the unit, ice built up in the veggie drawer that it couldn't shut, and water from the left side of the ref. dripping down into the two shelving parts. Once the door is open along the way the water runs out onto my floor. On the way to close MORE water runs onto the floor and then down the front of the freezer that is on the bottom. Since the issue we have had KitchenAid's preferred service AAA out of Howell MI come out for 3 different service calls. Each time I am told, "The problem is fixed and you will have no more water leaking." I have white water stains in my trays and the stain on the front of the ref. due to the leaks and sitting water.

After calling again today because it is STILL leaking I spoke with Melinda (Customer Service) with all she could offer me was at first a service call at my cost then returned with a no cost, I spoke to Tim (Supervisor for KitchenAid Tennessee office) who explained there was not a thing anyone could to but another service call. Who is going to pay for ANOTHER day off of work? This will be the 4th time I have had to take a day off of work for repairs to this refrigerator. A consumer should NOT have to clean up a water mess every time the unit is opened and the water streak down the front is not appealing. This is obviously an issue with the unit. I asked for the unit to be exchanged with the SAME unit and I was told that "You would be eligible for a replacement at a discounted price." Are you serious? I already paid the full price for this unit.

Something has to be done to not allow consumers to be buying nonworking items and costing more than the unit itself. I have bought many KitchenAid items and I will never buy again since this incident. The do not stand by the product but keep sending service people who either can't fix the problem or the problem is simply NOT fixable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KitchenAid?

In May 2016 we bought a KitchenAid double door bottom freezer refrigerator. I have had nothing but problems with it. Purchased it a Home Depot in Brentwood which was another mistake. I have had so many repairs and now I have no ice and my food is thawing out in the freezer. Glad we bought a extra warranty but will do not buy a KitchenAid. They will not even replace it, and it is not CHEAP...

Whirlpool produces fridges under many brand names. Research and if the product you are looking at comes from Whirlpool DO NOT BUY it. I could go into what I've experience but it all boils down to what the many repairmen coming out have all said. DO NOT BUY Whirlpool fridges (KitchenAid is under the Whirlpool umbrella). They went to a dual condenser design and it's a complete fail. I have an older KitchenAid and love it. So I shelled out $2200.00 for a new one. It's a complete LEMON as per the techs, Whirlpool fridges have a bad design. Essentially, if owning one of these LEMONS now, you'll have to old time defrost it every year to keep it working.

Bought a KitchenAid model # kffs20EYBL00 in 2012. This refrigerator has given me nothing but grief since 2012. I bought an extended warranty on this refrigerator and glad I did, have had to use it numerous times. The back of the freezer will freeze up, makes this running noise that sounds like a motor is running and the upper refrigerator isn't as cold as it should be. They have had to repair this 5 times in 2012 to 2013. 2014 and 2015 probably 2 times and now 2016 we are getting repaired once again. I am very frustrated with this refrigerator. I not only have had issues with the freezer, but the shelving in this refrigerator is junk.

I have had two shelves break so far. It's just junk! I don't recommend KitchenAid anymore. Maybe in the 80 and 90's this was a good brand but not any longer. Looking at buying a new one, hate too since this one cost me of $1600.00 and 4 yrs of grief. Stay away from KitchenAid and Whirlpool. They are made by same company from what I have been told by companies I am looking at for a new refrigerator!

I purchased a Refrigerator/Freezer in 2012 for my cottage from a local dealer. Over the last year Ice has built up in the freezer floor and then there is water leakage. I would get rid of the ice build up and then no leakage for a short time and then it would start all over again. In the meantime the floor and side wall of the kitchen which housed the fridge became damaged. I called the dealer and they tried to give some things to do which did not work. Eventually we got the dealer out and they came with a new valve and installed a "P trap" drain tube. Apparently Whirlpool have known of this problem and never let any of their consumers know.

As we are on an Island it cost us a lot of money to get a repairman out to replace this piece. I called Whirlpool and they did not want to discuss it and dissuade they could have sent me a replacement but would not pay for the cost of the work to replace the valve even though they knew for years that there was a problem with this part. I will never again get anything made by Whirlpool.

Have a side by side since 2012 and have lost refrigerant multiple times. They cannot seem to fix the problem and insist their service techs come out. Service tech was useless and the problem that was fixed is broken yet again. They are now telling me I will be responsible for the diagnostic visit and depending on what is wrong, may have to pay to get it fixed. I have had technicians out more times than I can count. Also the drawers broke the first year I had it and I tried to fix them. After a while, I bought new ones, which broke again after 2 months. I am done with this company not only because the appliance is junk, but they won't stand behind their product.

My kitchenaid refrigerator would not work from day one. The cost and parts and labor are over 3,000.00 dollars and they are coming today because it is not making ice. I have tried to get help does not matter. You all wont do anything. I paid 2,600.00 for the worst refrigerator I have ever owned. Every part has been changed and something will go wrong in the next few mo. Count on that. I tell everyone I know not to buy KitchenAid. This need to get reviewed.

I purchased a KitchenAid refrigerator with French doors and a bottom freezer compartment for about $2,600 in July of 2013. By mid-2016, we began to experience problems with the refrigerator. There was water leaking onto the floor after water had filled the tray at the bottom of the refrigerator and had frozen. A certified KitchenAid repair person replaced the defective part. The repair person was very familiar with the problem as the company had replaced quite a number of these. KitchenAid supplied the part free of charge because of the frequency of this problem. There was a "service" charge of $125.00 and a "labor" charge of $89.00, bringing the total to $214.00.

Within two months, we had another problem, this one with the ice maker. The KitchenAid recommended company sent its technician out again. This time the bill totaled $335-$125 service, $129 labor, $75 new ice maker, and $6.37 tax. We had given the service provider the exact make, model, and description of the problem. Again, they were very familiar with the problem, but sent a technician out who did not have the part on the truck! He is scheduled to return after the weekend.

Frankly, after reading others' reviews on this site, I have to agree that I would not buy a KitchenAid product again. Why should anybody be shelling out over $500 for parts and labor on a three year old, high end, appliance? Our last KitchenAid refrigerator, which we left at our former residence, was 17 years old and had never required service of any kind. KitchenAid is apparently not interested in providing a quality product, though we're paying for one and, according to the reviews on this site, KitchenAid is not interested in providing good customer service. I'm frustrated with this refrigerator, which never produced ice as well as my old KitchenAid. I'm frustrated with the certified KitchenAid repair company, and I'm not willing to become frustrated by contacting customer service because all these reviews have all made it clear that it would be a waste of my time.

Purchased 42" built in refrigerator 18 months ago and the frame cracked so it was replaced in May 2016. 5 months later the motherboard and other parts went. Repair company that KA sent said it was like an engine going out on a new car and recommended it be replaced instead of repaired. Customer service said they won't replace. Email to CEO went unanswered. KA doesn't care about its customers and they don't build a quality product. If I could do it again I wouldn't buy KA again.

Fridge is only 5 years old. Ice maker suddenly stopped working. Repairman has been here 4 times and after time and money on labor and parts it still does not work. This is the 3rd home I've used kitchenaid appliances in but none have stopped working so soon. Not sure I would buy another KitchenAid appliance again.

Horrible fridge. Issues from day one. 1st one replaced immediately, and repeated service calls since then. Hundreds and hundreds of dollars lost on food and lost work time. Just asked Kitchenaid if I could get a different model and they said that they would not do ANYTHING for us. Bad fridge and even WORSE company. What a shame. Bought it because it was a Kitchenaid. Won't trust their products and customer service and suggest that you do not either.

This product is junk. Have had problems all along and hardly ever use. Three years old and very expensive and now KitchenAid wants to charge me $400 for a service person to come out and fix and an extra 1 year warranty. Leaks, no ICE... and more and more. Don't buy!

On my third compressor with 2 year old unit. Lost a lot of food due to delay getting repaired. KitchenAid said they would send me a claim form by US Mail and email. So far nothing received after Twitter and Facebook complaints and calling their 800 number. The Service Tech told me these refrigerators are poorly made and essentially junk. KitchenAid has lied to me and is unresponsive. Will never buy any of their products and sending my review to everyone on my email account.

Unfortunately we have several KitchenAid appliances that came with our new house. They are all crap. In our previous house, we had a Samsung refrigerator (which cost a lot less than the KitchenAid) that was well made and worked perfectly. Even though we have a "luxury" KitchenAid model, the drawers don't fit, the ice maker freezes up regularly and the whole unit just feels cheap. Even our builder does not use KitchenAid anymore. In addition, because they are so poorly made, the company cannot afford to (or chooses not to) fix real issues when they occur. Avoid KitchenAid at all costs.

Kitchenaid French Door, freezer below, counter depth. This model refrigerator (KRFC302E4500) has such a large gap at the shelf rear that a beer bottle or pint-sized Ball jar can fall out the back and break. If you have this problem, email Mr. Michael **. He would like to know.

I will never buy or recommend KitchenAid products again! We have a $10K built-in KitchenAid refrigerator that is only 4 years old. It has not been working for a month! Every time (9 so far) their certified techs come it goes over temperature again a day or two later. As a result I have had to throw out thousands of dollars of food, over a hundred ounces of breast milk for my 3 month old, wasted days now dealing with Kitchen-Aid and waiting for repairs, and had to endure this beyond frustrating experience just trying to get my fridge working. They should stand behind their products and their warranties and if their certified repair people cannot fix the problem, they should replace the product. Also, their customer service does not care, is not helpful, and is sarcastic. I am done!!

When we purchased our house (new) it had all Kitchenaid appliances so we opted to put in a Kitchenaid French Door with lower freezer Refrigerator. It has gone out 4 times in 8 yrs and no one seems to be able to fix it properly. We have lost a bunch of food not to mention the work of transferring and cleaning hardwood floors afterwards. Wish we had waited a yr or purchased something else. Our inbuilt microwave died in the first six months. It took over 90 days for Kitchenaid to get us a new one and man what attitude with these folks when you called to see why it was taking so long.

Based on the interaction on the Microwave, and all of the comments I read about Whirlpools lack of responsiveness to customer complaints, we are buying a new refrigerator tomorrow, very likely Samsung (we have their top of the line washer - dryer combo and they run flawlessly) and 7 of their HDTV's throughout the house. What we aren't doing, is ever buying another Whirlpool or Kitchenaid product. And Kitchenaid is supposed to be the high-end model.

I strongly suggest you do thorough research before buying a major appliance even it it means breaking up a set or same brand in your home. I've have Whirlpool appliances before and had some of what I consider to be normal maintenance issues, but between the microwave and refrigerator, we're done with anything Whirlpool or Kitchenaid. Their stuff is junk.

We bought KitchenAid thinking it was a good product, but it is NOT! We have had the refrigerator repaired twice in the first two years. Both times it was the same problem. Luckily it is under an extended warranty but I am worried about when the warranty ends. The stove front has discoloured three times and has been replaced three times. The replacement was not even the same colour as the original. I will NEVER buy KitchenAid again.

A really poor finish, the high level of engine noise is noticeable in the day!! And a bad customer service. On May 27, 2016 at Home Depot I bought a KitchenAid Refrigerator which at the time of the delivery was damage by the people who delivery it. I kept the refrigerator for a few days until the next delivery. The new equipment started making unusual noise. We contacted KitchenAid again who sent a technician who did not find any problem according to him "The sound is normal". Another technician was contacted since the freezer started making ice on one side not the other. He came to fix the issue, but resulted in burning the appliance for which we have evidenced of in pictures. According to him, the problem was fixed but a bigger damage was created on the lateral side of the fridge. The problem was reported to KitchenAid, who told me that another technician would be sent from another company.

The last technician came, saw the unit and said "that the problem could be resolved with an add on kit based on what KitchenAid told him because those units had several recalls and complaints for the same issue". The technician came with the accessory and this kit is not for this unit 2016. The kit is a fan that is located in the ice maker which is located at the top, not in the freezer where is the biggest problem, and the tech found more problems, filtration and dripping water in the drawers of vegetables. That waste of time and lack of knowledge and effectiveness by the representative of KitchenAid. I want a new unit or my full monetary refund. I've had the unit only for three months and it is unacceptable. I have pictures of how I received the unit and the damages made by the technicians. I have contacted on several occasions 4 time technical visits and still have the same problem. I still waiting for any answer.

KitchenAid has always had problems with their ice makers. Will never buy another KitchenAid refrigerator. Most poorly engineered freezer/refrigerator on the market. I thought I would give them a chance on a KitchenAid Architect Series ll Series Refrigerator KSSS48QT and the ice maker failed in one year, just like their other refrigerators. Repair it and it breaks within six months.

Our KitchenAid Refrigerator was delivered in April 2012 along with 3 other KitchenAid appliances as part of a renovation. In August 2015 the fridge stopped cooling both the fridge and freezer to the proper temperatures. We are now 1 year later having had 7 visits by the authorized repair company and 3 calls to the KitchenAid "expert" tech line. It still doesn't work and they refuse to declare it non-repairable. Worst appliance experience of my life.

I bought a KitchenAid refrigerator/dishwasher and stove Sept 2010 at Lowe's. There was nothing wrong with my appliances. They all worked at the time I was redoing my kitchen and but wanted all new appliances. I chose KitchenAid because I thought they were one of the top of the line products. Wow was I so wrong. I have had problems with my refrigerator, started about a year after having it. I would empty my ice bucket and could not get the door to close properly. Had them out here 3 times never got it resolved. So now I just slam it as hard as I can and it closes "nice". Well now it is leaking underneath on my hardwood floors so what's that mean? My hardwood floors is now ruined. I made my first phone call on Wednesday Aug 17 2016 and spoke to a supervisor Ben to tell me to buy the warranty and he will have someone out here on Monday.

Well that's not acceptable now he gets someone to come out on Friday 8-12 so my husband waits and no one shows up. I am at work and I am fortunate that I am able to make phone calls. I literally was on the phone for two hours trying to get this resolved to get nowhere except "I'm sorry." I appreciate the "I'm sorry" but what are you doing about it? Nothing. They blame the service that is supposed to come out and the service blames it on KitchenAid. I tell KitchenAid I will never buy another KitchenAid product again and all they say is, "I'm sorry you feel this way." Really, don't you want to keep your customers? Bottom line - don't buy KitchenAid. They don't stand behind their products.

Model KFIS29PBMS French Door Bottom Mount bought July 2013. Have had repeated problems for 3 years. Serviceman comes almost on monthly call. Nearly ALL parts have been replaced. KitchenAid refuses to own up to a bad product although I have found numerous reports online of perpetual problems with this model. KitchenAid (Whirlpool) says its warranty for one year only -- that's about all this product is good for. Serviceman replaced parts 3 times in last 2 months. He was here yesterday and I will be calling for his return again ASAP. Refrigerator ices up, leaks, fails to keep food cool, etc. etc. etc.

We purchased our KitchenAid refrigerator in April 2015. This model has 2 French doors and a bottom freezer. We woke up to a wet floor this morning, with everything thawing in the freezer. We called KitchenAid and were told about their Goodwill Repair that covers appliances purchased between 12 and 18 months ago for a service charge of $94.95. Great we thought. Then we're told they can't get anyone to our house for 5 days. Useless. We had the same problem 6 months ago, but assumed we had left the freezer door open. Not the case. I definitely would not recommend KitchenAid refrigerators to anyone, considering the issues we've had with the product itself, and the customer service.

Very expensive high end refrigerator bought. 3 years old and I just paid over $800 to get the ice maker to work again. Suppose to be high end but stay away.

We bought all new KitchenAid stainless steel appliances for our kitchen. Stove had a broken door piece - ok fair enough, we are still waiting on the new part. Fridge specs were given without consideration for the hinges so when it arrived it did not fit - poor. New fridge arrived with door overfilled so that foam was puking out from all the edges. KitchenAid makes the fridges with a greyscale side and the stove with a black side so they don't even match. Called Kitchenaid - the service gentleman arrived and agreed door should be replaced but will take minimum 8 weeks as the doors are made in Mexico. 2/10 would not buy from this company again though I thought they were supposed to be about quality. KitchenAid now owned by Whirlpool, includes Maytag, Jenn-Air, Amana and Inglis.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

KitchenAid is an American home appliance brand owned by Whirlpool. The company began in 1919, and it makes a variety of refrigerator sizes and styles.

• Variety: KitchenAid makes refrigerators with a range of different features, such as climate control, intuitive controls, spill-resistant glass and more.
  • Price: KitchenAid offers a range of prices so that customers can find the model they are looking for within the price range they want.
  • Features: KitchenAid's fridges come with many features, such as icemakers, French doors, side-by-side doors and bottom freezers.
  • Availability: It's easy to find KitchenAid's products at many retail stores, as well as on its website.
  • Free delivery service: KitchenAid will deliver your refrigerator to your house at no charge and install it for you.
  • Best for Homeowners and college students looking for a basic fridge.

Compare Refrigerators