KitchenAid Refrigerators

Compare Refrigerators

Research top Refrigerators recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We purchased a KitchenAid KRFC704FSS refrigerator ten weeks ago. Two days ago it began to warm itself up. KitchenAid uses just one authorized service company in central NC and they cannot get to the house to diagnose the problem for over a week. KitchenAid has no suggestions other than to wait for the diagnosis. They have no complaint numbers published. Not sure if they don't care about their customers, or if they just don't want to know about problems. I will never buy another KitchenAid or Whirlpool product.

I purchased the KitchenAid Refrigerator KSF26C4XYY03 March 25, 2014. The unit is only 3 years and a couple months old. The refrigerator door pops open when closing the freezer door. The first occurrence was last summer and I should have addressed it then. This past month the refrigerator door pops open every time the freezer is shut. Called KitcheAid service to find out what it was and how to handle this. They scheduled me a service call. Did not offer any kind of warranty at that time and per conversation with KitchenAid today, they should have. Now it's too late since I have already had a service man here and agreed to service with him.

The service man told me both door closure cams were worn and that this was very unusual. He said this type of problem does not happen until the refrigerator is 10 to 12 years old. Also said that it's usually bad on one door or the other and in my case, both doors are equally bad. It is going to cost me $280 for the repair. I called KitchenAid to register a complaint with their company and see if there is anything they could do to help out with the repair. No help with a relatively new refrigerator. Won't be buying this brand again.

NEVER purchase this refrigerator (KSC24C8EYY02). We have had this refrigerator for 4 years (Paid 1500.00 for it) and it is completely freezing over. Repairman told us that there is no sense in attempting to repair this machine; that he sees this same exact issue with this same exact refrigerator and he has never been able to repair one. THIS IS A LEMON. KitchenAid just says "Oh, well."

In a nutshell, the same part on my fridge (the thermistor assembly) has broken down 5 times since I bought it (roughly every three months) causing the fridge to simultaneously ice over yet not keep the food cold. I have a warranty on it, and per CA's Lemon Law, they should have replaced the fridge by now. But every time I call, they keep coming up with reasons why that it doesn't qualify for a Lemon replacement. (This latest time was that the latest repair had the same claim number because it was technically within 90 days of the last time a technician came out. By this logic, they could give me the same claim number till the end of time and never replace the fridge).

I can afford a new fridge, but at this point it's a matter of principle. I have wasted thousands of dollars in food, not to mention days of my life dealing with this issue -- and have become convinced (based on my research of other consumer complaints) that this is an issue KitchenAid is aware of and that they have knowingly foisted a faulty product & loophole-ridden warranty onto their consumers and EXPECT us to give up when they give us the run-around. I have researched lawsuits against KitchenAid and their warranty company and have been contacted by lawyers who are interested in pursuing a class action lawsuit. If you are interested in getting more information/participating in a class action lawsuit against KitchenAid, please email me.

Worst experience ever. If I could give 0 stars I would. One door stands higher than the other. The freezer screws don't even match the knob. On top of the appliance being **. Customer service is horrible. Waited for the appliance man from 8 am-4 pm to be told he will be here by 5 pm. Waste of time. Sent me 3 different handles where none of them matched. Pick any other company but KitchenAid. HORRIBLE. HORRIBLE. HORRIBLE.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KitchenAid?

Just wanted to throw my $.02 in for what it's worth. We bought a KitchenAid side by side refrigerator and have been totally dissatisfied with it right from the beginning. First, it is very loud when running. When we complained, the response was, to paraphrase, "give it a few weeks, you'll get used to it and you won't even notice it." That hasn't worked. Second, the ice maker is a joke. Very slow to make ice, cubes are small, and it won't keep up with the ice needs of only 2 people in the household. My recommendation is to trust the reviews and don't buy KitchenAid! Crappy products and crappier customer service!

We purchased a new refrigerator 2 weeks ago. The first one that was delivered was defective and after sending out a repair crew that could not fix it, it was replaced with a second defective refrigerator. After spending hours on the phone, KitchenAid sent out a repair company that stated the entire compressor and coils needed to be replaced and compared it to a new car needing a brand new engine and suggested having KitchenAid deliver us a new refrigerator. We requested that KitchenAid either deliver a brand new working refrigerator or pick up the defective one and refund us our money so we can buy another refrigerator elsewhere.

KitchenAid refused and told us they just can't help us even though the refrigerator never worked from day 1 and is under warranty for 30 days. We spent a lot of money for a brand new refrigerator and do not want a rebuilt model when we paid for a new one. We have been without a refrigerator for 2 weeks now, have spent numerous hours taking off from work waiting for delivery and repair people and KitchenAid is not willing to assist us or even offered us any kind of concessions to make this situation right. We are extremely disappointed with this company, their customer service and how they conduct their business.

DO NOT BUY KITCHENAID OR WHIRLPOOL - doesn't last 2 years. Buy old or cheap. You will be way better off. Two years ago we purchased a KitchenAid Fridge/freezer, the freezer started making a loud humming sound. We have a 5 year extended warranty. The repair man informed me that the computer inside was faulty and the freezer kept frosting up upon his FIRST VISIT. We then had to wait a WEEK for the part to be shipped in by "the manufacturer".

SECOND time he replaced "the computer". A few days later the humming sound was back. THIRD time the Tech came out he said it was not properly defrosted after he told me to use a hair dryer to defrost. He came back to "fully defrost", a few days later it frosted up again and made the humming sound (the fan hitting ice build up). They now say the replaced computer part (upon the second visit) was faulty, we now have to wait 2 more WEEKS for the part to be sent from "the manufacturer". We phoned around and the same part was in Calgary and there are 9 of the same parts.

In the meantime the FRIDGE IS BROKEN and we have lost all our food, I phoned them Saturday and won't get a "tech" guy out until TUESDAY. 4 days with 2 small kids and no. So ONE MONTH has passed upon my first visit from the "Repair guy" and the fridge and freezer are broken. So wondering what else has broken within the Fridge!! And how long can a family live without a Fridge.

We paid $2000 including the 5 year warranty and it didn't quite last 2 years. Purchased from "The Brick". I have heard this is a bad brand, and will be telling everyone about my experience. And not to buy KitchenAid or any brand Manufactured by the Whirlpool Corporation (which is pretty much every appliance out there)... Thank you to the Governments protecting consumers from the "Big Corps".

Compressor knocks VERY LOUDLY!! Few times a day, few minutes at a time, has Kitchen Aid out four times. Show them the video and will do nothing unless it knocks in front of them. Suspect they may be wiping their bad reviews off the internet of this problem. When it first happened we googled and found several bad reviews of this problem, now they are gone.

We purchased a new Kitchenaid refrigerator and double oven wall unit when we moved into our new home March of 2010. We have had issues with the ice maker/water dispenser not working. The temperature Not staying cold. The veggie tray "LID" fell off. Now it's dead! The repair man did not have an answer, he made many phone calls and "they've" decided "it's the motherboard", which will cost us $500 and a week to get in. Well then it started working, then it died, right now it's cooling. The Ice/water in the door was so gross - from water and ice? There's no way to take it apart to clean. After months of trying to clean the black mold out of it, I finally found a hand held steam pressure cleaner to clean it. I WANT TO SAY THAT I HAVE A 30 YEAR OLD REFRIGERATOR in my garage that's still working. It's NOT a KITCHENAID!

Then there's the double ovens, that are "self-cleaning" that's a joke. When I lock the oven to clean it, it blows a circuit and we have to call someone to fix it. The last time the guy said "I wouldn't use it". It's NEVER worked, and that was the reason I bought it. BUT I have to clean the ovens by hand because the advertised "self cleaning" was just a lie. At this point I would rather buy a refrigerator that I can rely on. I tell everyone, "Do not buy Kitchenaid. They are the worst appliances on the market."

KSC23C8EYY02 - Bought new with all other KitchenAid appliances. Thus far the dishwasher is the only appliance that has not given us problems. The refrigerator/freezer (less than 36mos. old) has stopped cooling for the second time. Their customer service folks are well trained and nice, but the product is terrible. And, if you have service done under warranty by their contracted service folks (in our case Alabama Power) don't take "Freon leak" as a problem answer and solution of replacing Freon. I am now on my second go round of throwing out a fridge of wasted food in the last 6 weeks. Only to be told it will be 6 days before they can come out.

We bought last July KitchenAid refrigerator. Seven months later we could see some issue with discoloration of the bottom door. I contacted KitchenAid service, they explained, the cosmetic of the surface is not under the warranty. I have extended 5-years warranty, but it is not cover cosmetic issue. We bought this refrigerator in Best Buy, but nobody explained about this type of issue. KitchenAid service can change this door if I will pay $500. I believe I paid a lot for this refrigerator and I am not going to pay $500 for factory non quality product.

We purchased 3 refrigerators for a business environment from Best Buy for Business and had immediate issues with the temperature. Units would get so cold as to freeze milk! Ruining employee and catering meals etc. Best Buy would not accept a return or replace the units and deferred to the manufacturer for a solution. KitchenAid has been less than helpful. Service techs cannot solve the problem and the company won't stand behind their products.

We purchased all KitchenAid appliances the end of 2013. Let me start with the refrigerator. Not even 2 years old and the ice machine went out! And then the water wouldn't work. We had a repairman at our house almost weekly for three months. He finally got the water to work, never the ice and then the entire thing froze up. We waited for him again to come to the house. He said to put a fan on it to thaw it out. Well that worked for a week and then the entire thing went out. The repairman even said that the refrigerator we bought was a piece of junk because he has like 5 calls a week for the same one.

Long story short, we waited for another part, the part came in and the repairman said he wasn't qualified to put it in so we had to call KitchenAid for one of their people. One of their people came and took our refrigerator. They said it would take a week to fix. Well 3 weeks later and I still don't have a refrigerator! SO FRUSTRATED!!! I HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH MY STOVE, OVEN AND DISHWASHER! NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY KITCHENAID!!!

I too purchased all KitchenAid for my new home. The double oven does not regular and overheats. The dishwasher does not clean well and never has, has had to be repaired already. Exhaust vent with microwave does not remove steam from cooking. Stove top has not been bad yet, knock on wood. Side by side Refrigerator what a joke. As other reviews stated the interior was not designed by anyone who works in a kitchen. I had the repair man out to fix my dishwasher and he noticed the frig was making strange noises. What nice guy to even mention it, he stated they were having problems with them, got the frig fixed for free. One year later, upper frig not working. Kitchenaid, Whirlpool, your product sucks. Come from small community but Big family, I am ashamed to state you are an American made company. Will never buy them again! Also fridge is a stainless steel exterior, did not know stainless steel could rust. Consumer beware!

Our Failed Kitchen Aid Refrigerator KFIS29BBMS02 Ser#K35102755 - We purchased this refrigerator January 2013. The ice maker went out right away and was replaced on under warranty. Then in 2016 it fell apart. Another ice maker (Two) more actually, new control panel, new compressor. Service Dealer in Omaha tried to fix it 5 times with new parts and recharge the system. Last repair was 1-3-2017. Sent a letter to KitchenAid & Nebraska Furniture Mart in Omaha. NFM called back and said they could do nothing since we did not buy extended warranty. KitchenAid did not respond. It went hot again this week and no ice and lost frozen food for the 5th time. DO NOT BUY ANY KITCHENAID REFRIGERATORS! They told my service guy that they know they have a problem but my serial number does not apply. If I ran my company this way we would be broke with no customers. Buyers beware of KitchenAid.

We bought this KitchenAid stainless steel 5-Door French door refrigerator at Best Buy in Nov 2016. After a couple of days of installation, we noticed the freezer frosting, so we went back to Best Buy and requested a replacement. The replacement same model refrigerator was delivered in Dec. In Jan 2017, the same frosting problem occurred. We called Best Buy asking to get it replaced again but told us to call KitchenAid because the purchase date was already over 1 month.

Called KitchenAid and asked them if we can just get the refrigerator replaced or get a refund and told them that I've read a lot of reviews about this refrigerator with freezer frosting and that KitchenAid should have known about this problem already. But KitchenAid customer service lack knowledge. All they know is schedule repairs. From here started the repair process. They've sent this repair people several times (6x) already coming up with different ways to fix the problem but the freezer frosting still persist. This last fix that KitchenAid tech support told the repair people is to replace the door and it will take 4-6 wks to get the part. It is very inconvenient. All I'm asking KitchenAid is give us a refund since it is new so we can get a good working refrigerator. But all they can do is schedule a repair.

Whirlpool/KitchenAid is a terrible company that makes terrible products. Our built-in refrigerator was one month out of warranty when the evaporator stopped working properly. Cool, no problem, we'll just order a new one and get it fixed. That was last October 2016. Flash forward to March 2017, they sent the incorrect part 3 times. Now they say they don't make the part anymore. Their solution?? Buy a new $8000 fridge from them... "Oh, but we'll give you a small discount." What a joke. PLEASE, please do not support or buy anything from KitchenAid. They will turn their back on you when their terrible products inevitably break.

My husband and I recently built a home and purchased the entire KitchenAid Pro suite for our kitchen which included a double oven, microwave, dishwasher, induction stove top and a built in refrigerator. The product was beautiful but after 4 short months of owning the products our induction stove top chipped, the sensor on the double oven failed and now our fridge is no longer cooling. We have taken countless days off of work to have a contractor come out to fix the appliances but we have come to the final straw with the fridge. Two weeks, two contractors and two refrigerator parts later we still do not have a fridge.

My husband has called KitchenAid numerous times and the customer service is absolutely terrible. You call and wait on hold for a good 20-30 minutes then once you receive a customer support specialist, they tell you to call a nearby contractor and make an appointment. Better yet, the contractor comes out and has to order the part which takes a week and you have to take another day off of work because they dont work weekends.

With all of the troubles we have faced with KitchenAid/Whirlpool appliances, I would not recommend their products let alone the company. We spent a lot of money on their products and yet we sit here for over two weeks waiting for a part to figure out if that will even fix the built in fridge. Whirlpool is a multi million dollar company and we have to wait to receive a new fridge until the contractor can determine it cannot be fixed, just a great use of our money and time.

I have owned the KBFS22EWMS model (French doors, bottom freezer) for almost five years. In the first year or so, I noticed water on my floor by the refrigerator. I then discovered that on the floor of the freezer was a thick sheet of ice that had been obscured by the contents of the freezer baskets. The repairman came out, and quite quickly fixed it. He had repaired many with this issue. In fact, a part arrived in the mail prior to his visit. The problem? A small valve or nipple that is the wrong design for the refrigerator. The repairman told me KitchenAid/Whirlpool was aware of the problem, but continued to manufacture the refrigerators using the wrong part. Stupid? I'd say so. I haven't had any functional problems with the refrigerator since, but the parts are cheaply made, the crisper drawers can be pulled out only half way, and be careful in removing the grille to clean the condenser coils - a piece will snap off in a heartbeat. Otherwise, it's great!

We bought a brand new, 48" built-in refrigerator kssc48qts02 in Aug. 2008. Two years ago the electronic motherboard had to be replaced to the tune of almost $1000. Now our thru-the-door water dispenser is leaking. Had 2 different companies look at it with the same diagnosis... 1). The water line is broken 2.) There is no way to repair the line as it is built into the freezer door 3.) The freezer door needs to be replaced 4.) THEY NO LONGER MAKE THE FREEZER DOOR!!! Come on KitchenAid, you used to make good products. What happened? The refrigerator is only 8 years old and was very expensive to begin with. Another thousand in repairs. And now they no longer make this product? MAJOR DESIGN FLAWS.

Purchased KitchenAid refrigerator in Jan. 2013 for 2,500. Fast forward to Feb 2017, freezer defrosts food overnight. Freezer full of food lost. Next fridge no longer cooling. Call local appliance repair company. Comes out same day! Informs me he is unable to repair issue and advises that it is a recall issue and provides me all recall info.

Well, calling Whirlpool customer service was the worst customer service I have ever received. After 2 calls and 2 hours later, finally got an appointment booked for a tech to come repair issue, but was told this repair would be at my expense as Whirlpool disputes the fact that this is a recall, even though I had the service point number quoted to me by a qualified repair technician. Regardless refrigerator needed repair. Was told I would receive call from agent evening before appointment date. No call. Appointment window I was given was 9am-5pm, by 2pm not even a phone call yet.

Called CS line again and was advised no tech would be coming out to my home. No sympathy at all from any agent I dealt with, in fact, found them all to be extremely rude!! Next available appointment not for one full week. Was told they will not provide any compensation! Worst experience ever. Will NEVER recommend KitchenAid to anyone nor will I ever purchase another KitchenAid appliance in the future. So disappointing.

DO NOT purchase a KitchenAid refrigerator. In the six months we've owned it there have multiple issues from damaged and dented in shipping to misfunctioning valves to a punctured evaporator coil from excessive ice build up. The customer service centre in Tennessee is a complete sham. Their response is scripted and unfriendly. DONT DO IT!!!

I purchased the French door with bottom freezer style fridge from KitchenAid and couldn't be happier. It was bought at a Scratch and Dent store, which made me a bit uneasy for any possible damages that may show up later, but so far everything has been great. Fairly quiet in our open layout kitchen / living room floor plan.

I love that it has a water spout on the inside, leaving the exterior clean without the typical water/ice dispenser eyesore. Also leaves less room for broken parts to be fixed. 8 months of ownership so far and the only thing we had to change was the water pressure on the spout. Very easy.

We bought the KitchenAid refrigerator in 2013. It was on clearance at Lowe's. Now I know why it was a great deal, because they have problems with them. As I read the reviews from other consumers, we have the same exact problem with the freezer. It leaks water and freezes on the tray after 1 year. We have to break up the ice and empty it out every two weeks. The ice maker quit making ice after three years and now I just shut off the ice maker. My husband bought me a KitchenAid mixer for Christmas 2015 and after a year of sitting on the counter I decided to use it. It literally Sucks. I have had my Sunbeam Mixer for over 15 years, I'm still happy to use it. I will never buy KitchenAid, Whirlpool, Amana Product again.

KFIS27CXWH2 - We purchased this French door style/bottom freezer style from ABT Electronics in July 2011. Within two years we had leaking under freezer under our wooden floors. We called one serviceman who couldn't detect the issue. Called ABT and they were out approximately 12 times to finally resolve the issue by installing a heater unit in ice maker which happens to be located in the upper left side of the ceiling inside refrigerator.

Never again will I purchase a unit with an ice maker in unit vs. freezer. Just after a year and parts warranty expiration - it began leaking again and thankfully I was home to avoid a real disaster and could turn off water. Yet another serviceman was out 2 days again who left stating he couldn't find anything wrong with ice maker. As of today water is not running into ice maker although we do have water in the dispenser on outside door of unit. Has anyone else had this model who has experienced the same issue? Every time I decide to replace the unit - I want to try one more time to remedy this problem.

The slowest ice maker I've ever had. KitchenAid is NOT upper-end products, only their price is upper end. Never again will I go with this brand. We did a new oven, Microwave, and fridge. All three are subpar.

We bought this Kitchenaid Superba almost 20 years ago. It is stainless steel and has maintained its appearance and durability. It is a side-by-side and not as roomy or as large as I would like, but is a great refrigerator. It's reliable and it looks great.

I purchased my first extended warranty with hesitation. Just four months into the contract I called for a repair. AIG is provider of the insurance coverage. AIG will make up ANY excuse not to pay any repairs especially if over and beyond their contract price which by the way I paid $500 for the extended warranty. NOW I am out the $500 PLUS the repair costs!!! HINT: NEVER turn off your appliance. If you do and the appliance does not work correctly when turned back on, this is considered pre-existing and AIG will not cover the repair. ANY REPAIR even though you have parts that have been replaced that broke down in 4 months after replacement and should have a one year warranty coverage! Also AIG claims you have a 45-day window to make a claim otherwise they will not cover and claim pre-existing!! And worst of all this is not even written on the contract anywhere. I'll NEVER buy an extended warranty again, especially if AIG is involved

I purchased the KitchenAid appliances because I researched their use, and got good reviews, and my prior refrigerator was KitchenAid. I have been satisfied on their durability. I always search items that I want to purchase, and read reviews to see if there are any problems.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

KitchenAid is an American home appliance brand owned by Whirlpool. The company began in 1919, and it makes a variety of refrigerator sizes and styles.

• Variety: KitchenAid makes refrigerators with a range of different features, such as climate control, intuitive controls, spill-resistant glass and more.
  • Price: KitchenAid offers a range of prices so that customers can find the model they are looking for within the price range they want.
  • Features: KitchenAid's fridges come with many features, such as icemakers, French doors, side-by-side doors and bottom freezers.
  • Availability: It's easy to find KitchenAid's products at many retail stores, as well as on its website.
  • Free delivery service: KitchenAid will deliver your refrigerator to your house at no charge and install it for you.
  • Best for Homeowners and college students looking for a basic fridge.

Compare Refrigerators