1.53/5

915 KitchenAid Refrigerators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Our $9,000 KitchenAid built-in fridge is 10 years old and required $1,500 in repairs for a faulty control board. The original control board is discontinued (my guess is because they found that it was faulty) and it will now cost even more for the repairman to rebuild the current board. I am not sure why this appliance costs so much when there is no noticeable difference between this fridge and our last home's fridge (except for the fact that it is built in) and clearly you are not paying for quality.

For this price I expect better quality control and longer lasting products. When we replace this fridge I will definitely buy another brand. Apparently the fridge has had lots of previous maintenance as well. The company told us that they have been out to our house with the previous owners multiple times. It's shocking to me that a $8,0000-$9,000 appliance could require so much maintenance in the first ten years of its life. Don't waste your money - go with a company that is known for high quality, not just high prices.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

On June 27, 2018 my parents purchased side by side KitchenAid refrigerator model: KRSF505ESS. They made this purchase at Canadian Appliance Source. The product was delivered on Sep.20.18. The product has not performed well since opened, the freezer didn’t freeze and the ice maker didn’t work. To resolve the problem, we contacted WHIRLPOOL CANADA, at phone 1-800-807-6777 as they are taking care of the appliances after the purchase as a manufacture warranty. We scheduled an appointment for Sep.27.2018 and the technician appeared on the wrong address, even though he was provided with the address shown above and the postal code. We called to Whirlpool Customer service again and scheduled new appointment for Oct.1.2018 from 9am-1pm, Spoke to Brenda. We arranged the time and took time off from work, nobody appeared, no phone call made to notify us.

When called Whirlpool on Oct.2.2018, they advise that the appointment from Oct 1st rescheduled for Oct. 2nd (without any notification to the customer) and the technical behind the schedule. The time of my call was 8pm Est. on Oct.2.2018. The tech didn’t come (spoke to Stephanie). I called Whirlpool on Oct.3.2018 stating that the technician wasn’t at the place and they offered to reschedule the appointment for Oct.10.2018 for 8am-12pm (Spoke to Tylor). At this time the technician Ram **, from “The Appliance Pros" came. He did some maintenance and advised to wait for 24 hours to see if the fridge is working. The refrigerator didn’t work, and at this point both the fridge and the freezer weren’t operated.

I was calling Whirlpool Canada on Oct.11.2018 and explaining that the fridge is not working. The representative after a long wait on hold explained that we are on emergency status but unfortunately she doesn’t have any records or documentations from the technician about the issue. I called Whirlpool Canada on Oct.12.2018 at 8:30am Est, and they said that the technician should come secondly to monitor the issue, and it is scheduled for Oct.16.2018, and again nobody notified us about this.

I am very frustrated customer of being offered poor service, very long waiting times on hold, NO COMMUNICATION between the customer, the Customer Service and the maintenance team, and no resolution in timely manner. I would like to address it, since it is not the way Whirlpool should serve their customers. I would like to get faster response for the addressed issues, need to be notified about any changes that done by the customer support representative about any changes or updates about the service. I'm not typically writing reviews but this situation should definitely be addressed. I hope my review will avoid people of dealing with CAS in particular and Whirlpool Canada in general.

Get expert buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I purchased a side by side Kitchenaid (KRFC704FSS00) fridge in April 2017 and was so excited for this beautiful appliance! It was their newest model, with all the latest features and upgraded interior and had a hefty price tag. After a few months our ice machine was not working properly so we had to have a technician come out. They told us this machine does not produce large amounts of ice and makes it every 3 hours. With a family of six this is not cutting it, there is never any ice!!!

Woke up this morning to find our Fridge had DIED!!! No power and all the food was spoiling. The board blew out after 16 months of purchasing. Absolutely ridiculous. And of course since it has been over 1 year since purchase, so it is no longer covered under warranty. $500 later to have the unit fixed. To say I am disappointed is an understatement. I will never purchase a Kitchenaid/Whirlpool product again!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

We purchased a NEW KitchenAid refrigerator 24 months ago. We were advised by family to always buy extended warranty on refrigerator regardless of brand because “they aren’t well made anymore.” We purchased warranty and accepted poor standard for expensive appliance. Within 1 yr the ice maker stopped working. Within 2 years the refrigerator side stopped holding adequate temperature. The warranty covered both repairs. What was more disappointing is the “styrofoam” part that was removed from the refrigerator. The service repair technician left the old part as evidence that they removed and installed true manufactured parts (from Whirlpool). I took pictures and will upload if that feature is available in this review. How much money did KitchenAid save by installing a large styrofoam part in their expensive product. It’s too bad consumers don’t have better options and shouldn’t expect more.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

My very expensive top of the line, 2 year old KitchenAid fridge (KRMF706ESS) broke. Had service tech out to tell me KitchenAid would have to provide parts and not pay. After weeks, KitchenAid told me they would have to replace the fridge and would have it to us within 2 weeks. A month later and I call to find out it's backordered again and they cannot give me a date when it will be shipped. Offered $150 to help me through months of no fridge in my house! I would not recommend buying KitchenAid to anyone at this point! Can't fix nor replace unit!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KitchenAid?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

KitchenAid did not accept responsibility for object left in drain line at the factory. Ref. Model # KRFF507ESS01, Serial # K62811944. Constant freezing and leaking into bottom freezer. Finally KitchenAid repairman found orange object lodged in the drain line. Cost $190.95 and a year and a half of awful freezing problems. Do not buy KitchenAid Refrigerators.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Bought a KitchenAid model KFIS29PBMS03 in August 2015, it stopped cooling and making ice in July 2017. It turns out that it can't defrost itself. After in excess of ten service calls (through and paid for by KitchenAid) they declared it unrepairable 14 months later. The Tech Line said it couldn't be repaired and that I should contact "Customer Care". They contacted me two days later and said they wouldn't replace it because it was no longer under warranty! Stay away from anything that's says Whirlpool or KitchenAid on it. Junk!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

In 2013 I purchased a KitchenAid package of appliances for my house. Since last year I have had the repair people out on 5 different occasions and I am still having issues. The model number is KFIS29PBMS02. Initially I was having issues with the ice maker and freezer and the PO code which means powers failure. I was told to have an electrician check the outlet which I did and it was fine. They then said it was a circuit board but didn’t know which one and they recommend replacing both which we did. No sooner did they leave and the code popped up again. They said it must have been a bad board and replaced another board. After they left it acted up again.

Tech came out and said it was a bad deli board which is the last thing the company wants to replace due to the cost. I told them ice machine is still not working right. He said I may need a new machine. I couldn’t afford one at this point after taking numerous days off from work to meet the repairman. Fridge had also frozen up and the guy defrosted with his heat gun and said KitchenAid knows that the condensers are bad because they are aluminum and they have been replacing them. Fridge froze up again, ice maker makes ice randomly say a tray a week if lucky. I put bought ice in the dispenser and it melts. They are coming to replace the condenser this week after making arrangements for someone to stay at my house to wait for the repairman.

Talked to different repairman today before he came and told him the problem and he said it may not be the condenser which is under warranty still (5 years). Frustrated as hell and think there is class action status here. Customer service at Kitchenaid sucks. They do not care and basically told me I didn’t put enough money out to qualify as a lemon.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Built-In Double French Door Refrigerator, Side By Side, Freezer Drawer Bottom. 1 Year Old, $10K Unit. Five service calls on the doors that don't close or seal properly. Door springs replaced 4 times. Last a couple of weeks, then break again. Service is subbed out to an appliance repair outfit that could care less. Poorly made product. KitchenAid should replace this box under warranty, but they keep giving me the runaround. Bad product. Bad Company. Bad Service.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I bought my first KitchenAid side by side refrigerator about 15 years ago. It constantly had problems with excessive moisture in the fruit and veggie drawers, that rotted all my produce, and the cheap plastic door shelves that kept breaking. They cost $40 each to replace, and this happens often. I had an opportunity to offload that one during a renovation, and bought the identical model (to fill the exact size space in my cupboards) about 6 years ago, based on salesman's pitch how good KitchenAid is (I figured maybe I got a lemon, but have since learned they are all junky). It arrived with butter door that wouldn't close. I had to call a repairman under warranty, as the retailer wouldn't do anything. Turned out the whole exterior door was warped, so they had to replace the entire door of the brand new fridge. Not an impressive start.

Then this newer one has the same excess moisture retention / condensation problem as the previous one. Also, the door water dispenser only chills about 1 glass of water at a time, utterly useless. And in last 6 years, door shelves have broken 4 times, and cost $40 each time to replace with the same cheap quality plastic. Cheap junk is all KitchenAid makes. This time, when the butter flip door broke and I ordered a new one, KitchenAid sent a replacement that was scratched and poorly made with a big lump blister on it. (3 weeks wait to get it.) I returned it and waited another 3 weeks, just got the second replacement, even worse quality. It has foggy patches of plastic making it look old and used, along with the big rough scratched blistered splotch, is totally an eyesore. Obviously NO QUALITY CONTROL AT KITCHENAID.

This cheap plastic door again costs over $40 and I get better stuff at the Dollar Store. I also have KitchenAid dishwasher, that had motherboard problems (very expensive, $1000 replacement) after 14 months. DO NOT BUY KITCHENAID. The pap the salesmen feed you that KitchenAid make quality products is totally untrue. They make cheap junk and sell for high prices to gullible consumers, and YOU THE CONSUMER WILL HAVE TO SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES IF YOU BUY THEIR STUFF. Warning to the wise!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Horrible French door fridge model KBFS20EVMS. We have had many problems since we bought this less than six years ago. The refrigerator portion is set on 44 and still freezes the food. The icemaker stopped working. The fridge leaks. I've had that cosmetic rust issue on the exterior. The seals are shot and I cleaned mold/mildew from the rubber seals. Avoid KitchenAid products.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I was a builder in Atlanta for 30 years and used KitchenAid in my homes many times. I installed a high-end side by side just under 2 years ago in my personal home and it suddenly started forming ice. When the technician came he took apart the panel with the cooling element and found the sealer wire which was installed crimped had destroyed the thermistor which regulates the fridge. When I called KitchenAid their answer was over time, which could be anywhere from a week to years the parts or the way it was put together could break down. Really? I never would have used KitchenAid if I knew they weren’t responsible for the correct installation of original parts. It cost $325 to fix.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

This is coming out of frustration dealing with KitchenAid fridges. Had an older KitchenAid fridge (Built-In) which lasted about 15 years and decided to go with another KitchenAid as a replacement. Purchased the KBFN402ESS - where it's categorized as a "Luxury" fridge, that's built-in with the latest technologies and cooling features, yet it was super expensive and have been a major headache since the get-go.

1) The fridge delivered came as a LEMON. This was during a crucial time, when my wife just gave birth and we're new parents, trying to have the fridge ready to cover my wife's nutrient intake, and breastmilk storage. It took KitchenAid 4 weeks to come back and forth for diagnostic / small repairs, and it was not until I was adamant that we must replace the fridge, and finally they noted as "out of courtesy" they will replace. If KitchenAid cannot guarantee the fridge will operate and perform well within 1 year of purchase, PLEASE GET OUT OF THE BUSINESS - why are you producing such poor quality products?

2) Upon replacing the fridge, and it's only been 8 months - this new fridge has gone berserk once again under normal operational usage. Freezer had frost build-up, and the technician came and noted that the whole control board, along with fans and other parts will now need to be replaced. All the frozen breastmilk and frozen items, including some of the items in the main fridge have been spoiled.

In summary,
1) KitchenAid does not stand behind its products.
2) KitchenAid produces POOR QUALITY fridges labelled as "LUXURY" and HIGH-END Fridge.
3) KitchenAid customer care is slow, and does not address customer's concerns and compensation.

4) KitchenAid should perform stricter quality control and thorough testing before releasing products into the market with prompt service and warranty/guarantees - what good is your internal QC, if the fridge breaks on Day 1 or within 1 year?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

We did a kitchen remodel less than a year ago with a kitchen refrigerator side by side with ice & water dispenser model KFIS20XVMSII. This refrigerator is a disaster, the temperature for the freezer and refrigerator side has risen to 40 degrees F and 61 degrees F. Pressing the reset button to the suggested temp of 0 degrees and 35 degrees is not working. I came home from work and had to tossed all the food inside into the garbage. I am so disappointed and will be on the phone 1st thing in the morning with KitchenAid. I wished I had read the reviews about this model, it is a common problem. Buyers beware.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

We just built a house and bought all new shiny appliances, including a KitchenAid refrigerator side-by-side, counter deep, very expensive. On DAY 1, the freezer temp was raising, we kept lowering it back to 0 F. On DAY 2, it doesn't go below 16. Now day 5 and it's 32, and doesn't respond to pushing temp control down. Technician "may" come tomorrow. Meanwhile, food will start spoiling. Also, no instructions came with it, except how to install. Gee, thanks! NOT BUY THIS!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

In September of 2016 we purchased a very expensive KitchenAid fridge, almost $3,000. It was supposed to be the top of the line. Thank goodness we bought the extended warranty, because as I write this I am waiting for the repairman to come out for the FOURTH time. This will be the third time that ice has built up along the inside of the back wall, and to fix it requires the unit to be shut off, drawers and shelves removed, and the ice to melt away so he can open up the back and do his thing. The ice build up impacts the fan, creating a loud noise, and inhibits the ability of the unit to make ice. The other service call was for a malfunctioning deli tray control. Prior to this unit, for 14 years I had a Bosch unit in my other home which worked flawlessly. I would never buy another KitchenAid fridge again.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Purchased 5 years ago. Constant problems including: 1/ Fridge not staying cold - year 1. Fan that pushes cold air to the fridge from freezer failed. 2/ Freezer not staying cold - year 2. Complete replacement of cooling system - under warranty. 3/ Constantly restarting - year 4. Fridge would shut down and restart many times per day. Sometimes it would show PO (Power Out) warning. Circuit boards replaced - not under warranty. 4/ Stopped making ice cubes - year 4. Replaced ice making unit - not under warranty. 5/ Constantly restarting - year 5. Not repaired yet. 6/ Flimsy shelving. Re-glued a number of internal drawers because they were falling apart. 7/ Noisy. Wasn't bad when originally purchased but after #2 and #4 repairs it got progressively worse and now sounds like a freight train running. I will never purchase another KitchenAid nor anything else by the manufacturer of KitchenAid.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Has anyone else been annoyed by what I call a design flaw regarding ice falling behind the drawer? The ice maker drops ice on top of the trigger arm and when the tray is pulled out, ice gets dragged back onto the freezer floor and sometimes bounces out onto kitchen floor. I'm dealing with a local business (who sold the fridge to me) regarding the issue. "I've sold hundreds of these and not gotten a complaint". Well, you are now. I have been asked to bring the bin in to see if it is "warped or something". Yeesh.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

We purchased a dishwasher, microwave, oven and refrigerator from KitchenAid about a year ago and are currently having the refrigerator repaired for the 3rd time for the SAME issue! The fan in the refrigerator (KRFF707ESS01) doesnt work properly which allows ice to form in the back. This means that the drawers dont close anymore and the fan is very loud since it is hitting the ice. KitchenAid customer service has been absolutely useless. Im very disappointed in the product quality and the company and will never purchase a KitchenAid product or any Whirlpool product ever again!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I always wanted to own a KitchenAid appliances Because they’re supposed to be on a higher brand. We finally renovated my dream kitchen and I bought all KitchenAid appliances except for dishwasher which I got a Fisher & Paykel 2 drawer one. Anyway after 8 mos since I bought the Counter depth refrigerator KRFC704FSS It started having a problem with the ice maker. Called in for a service and said they will replace it and in a week the cooling system started to have problems. I called again for service and the guy said it’s a thermostat and they have to order the parts.

I called customer service to follow up on the order and they said that it needs to be replaced because they been having problems with the cooling and that the model 704 Is being pulled out and being discontinued so I need to find another model. There’s so much inconvenience on this considering it’s a KitchenAid brand name. I was heartbroken because I really love the fridge and the platinum interiors and its counter depth feature.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

We purchased a model home that came with all the kitchen appliances. The appliances were purchased in January 2015. We have live in our new house for a little over a year. I am very disappointed in the Kitchen Aid Side by Side, model KSF26G4XYY03. In the past year, we have had two drawers break in the refrigerator. The face of the drawer came off and plastic on the drawer cracked off. Also, a drawer in the freezer busted where the plastic covers the wheel of the drawer. This is NOT quality construction. I was told by Product Registration in Benton Harbor, MI that only the bins are covered through years 2 - 5...really??? When this refrigerator needs to be replaced, it will not be by a Kitchen Aid.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

The refrigerator was in the house that we bought. It looked very nice and we were excited to have it. It is only 5 years old. It started making a horrible noise constantly. The repairman found the problem, but couldn't just buy the part needed. We had to buy a kit that costs $269 and $34 to ship!!! I already spent $99 for the repairman to show up once. Now I will have to pay him $99 again, plus labor. Never buy a KitchenAid anything!!!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Ok, here we go! I am writing this review in the midst of having to repair an only 2-year old KitchenAid KRFF507ESS01 refrigerator. I wish I had seen these consumer report reviews prior to purchase!! Please take my review seriously so that I can prevent someone else from making the same mistake!! The major issues started about 3 months ago!! First, we noticed a noise (maybe fan) coming from back of fridge... louder at some times than others. I also didn’t realize at time that water leaking from ice dispenser when in use had preceded the noise! I just previously ‘chalked’ that issue up because it didn’t occur all the time! After about a couple of weeks of the noise getting louder and softer, it went away!

The bigger issue a couple of weeks later became that the fridge was not cooling properly... Supposed to be 37* in fridge. And at this point the ice maker was not working well; making a handful of ice cubes that were not fully formed! My husband and I ran through the manuals extensive list of troubleshooting advice but could not find the issue! We cleaned the front vent from dust thinking this may be the cause... This seemed to resolved issue or so we thought!! 2 days later the fridge and ice maker were malfunctioning again with same issues except the noise!! I also purchased a thermometer for fridge and freezer to see what internal temps were... 50* in fridge and 30* in freezer! I purchased these because there is no other way that fridge indicates internal temps??? Only set temperature is accessible from LCD panel!

I called a repairman who walked in and immediately knowing the (common) issue from a bottom freezer fridge, pulled out the deli drawer which revealed ice formed completely covering condenser cover. He proceeded to tell me these are the worst refrigerators (bottom freezer) and also that they are not built to last more than a year before needing repairs! He said he recommends anybody purchasing one to get the extended warranty because the manufacturer warranty is EXTREMELY limited beyond 1 year as stated in manual. He then ordered a fan, wire and harness and cover (I imagine because he may break existing cover removing it). Boom! $169. For service call. He wasn’t sure what parts will cost yet because his iPad was not working and had to place order on phone through his employer.

He then gave me instruction to empty fridge and freezer and leave doors open to defrost ice for 2 days! Thanks KitchenAid once again!! I had to throw out over $500 worth of food from fridge and freezer!! He then said that it will get down to proper temps and that I could use again but that buildup of ice will start again but hopefully be resolved with replacement parts. Hopefully doesn’t sound promising!!

Unfortunately, I didn’t purchase an extended warranty but that isn’t the point I’m trying to make! The fact of the matter is that KitchenAid builds a crappy fridge!! Unfortunately, I purchased matching dishwasher and wall oven/microwave combo at same time so now I’m just waiting for issues with these (As a side note, the handle on freezer drawer loosens all the time for which I have to tighten with allen wrench every few days!)!! Well that’s my story as I wait for replacement parts and looking forward to that bill! Sincerely FRUSTRATED KitchenAid customer!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I posted a 5 star review too quick. One and a half years we got to use the replacement. It absolutely sounds like it will take off at any moment!!! Very loud. I know this is not normal. Another round of repair appointments. Please don't buy KitchenAid... It is such a waste of time!!!

Original review: July 30, 2018

Had to buy this refrigerator to fit into an existing built in space. The size fit perfectly. Only positive to our experience. DO NOT BUY this refrigerator for the following reasons: Installed in Jan 2016 and already had to replace icemaker, slides on bottom drawer don't work, seals on top french doors moldy, temperature not regulated in refrigerator, and freezer section froze up. Labor costs to repair is very high: quoted $340 to replace freezer drawer slides and around $100.00 each time someone comes out to check. Mold started accumulating on refrigerator seals. Noticed some small rust spots on the freezer door (exterior) that I could not remove. We do not overload either freezer or refrigerator and we vacuum out coils regularly. My next review will be on my Kitchenaid double ovens - very disappointed with these as well!!!

Original review: July 27, 2018

Paid 2800. Horrible refrigerator, after year I had three service calls, ice melting water all over the floor. Refrigerator warm not cooling down, ice build up in the freezer. Waiting three days for service. Horrible service. For a brand new refrigerator they keep ordering for parts. Are used to always buy Maytag. One mistake and I’m paying for it dearly.

Original review: July 26, 2018

It is exactly only 2 wks. since we purchased a KitchenAid French door fridge. Last night clicking sounds were emitting from the fridge to which we could not find the source. This morning to our shock and horror all of the frozen food were thawing out, the refrigerator section did not feel as cold as it should be as well. Knowing we are under warranty we called KitchenAid to try and get service. However, their customer service is also horrible. Was put on hold listening to idiotic music for over 15 minutes with no one coming to answer the call. That is totally unacceptable.

In the meantime, we read the internet information saying that clicking noises signify a faulty compressor. This is really astounding considering that the fridge is just a couple of weeks in our possession. We have never had any major appliance fail badly like this and so quickly too. To conclude, we are returning to that major big box store where we purchased this defective appliance from and will have it returned. And we will NOT purchase another KitchenAid product ever again, not even to replace this damaged, useless fridge! Also we do not recommend anyone to waste good money and precious time on considering purchasing any KitchenAid product. Ironically we were told by the delivery person that KitchenAid is a durable, high end brand. It definitely isn't!!

Original review: July 20, 2018

Stay away from buying a KitchenAid refrigerator. We purchased a $3,500 fridge in 2013 and we are on our 3rd one. Every 2 years or less the compressor goes. We wait over a week to get it replaced and the food all has to be thrown out. Pathetic appliance. In fact, I put it in the garage and purchased another fridge that we can rely on. Too bad as my son and 2 nephews all purchased homes this year and we made sure they did not buy KitchenAid!

Original review: July 18, 2018

Built In Side by Side Purchased 1999. In 2000 the ice dispenser started leaking water and the panel in the door discolored. Thank goodness it was fixed at no charge after threatening to sue. Forward to 2016 refrigerator quit working and it took numerous visits to replace a fan, in the freezer, charge with Freon, replace the compressor, forward to 2017 and the refrigerator needed a valve replaced but the valve was discontinued (door from freezer left slightly opened). July 2018 same fan in freezer went out and had to be replaced. One year warranty on fan. I have a side by side Whirlpool from the late 80's and it runs like a top no problems!!!

Original review: July 14, 2018

The wheels on our model Model KSBP25INSS00 turned square and I ordered replacement parts. Woah, there are no standard parts, it is a zoo. The average human cannot replace these as every diagram video and Youtube is different for the same repair! The parts replacements companies do not have accurate replacement numbers.

KitchenAid expert review by ConsumerAffairs

KitchenAid is an American home appliance brand owned by Whirlpool. The company began in 1919, and it makes a variety of refrigerator sizes and styles.

• Variety: KitchenAid makes refrigerators with a range of different features, such as climate control, intuitive controls, spill-resistant glass and more.

• Price: KitchenAid offers a range of prices so that customers can find the model they are looking for within the price range they want.

• Features: KitchenAid's fridges come with many features, such as icemakers, French doors, side-by-side doors and bottom freezers.

• Availability: It's easy to find KitchenAid's products at many retail stores, as well as on its website.

• Free delivery service: KitchenAid will deliver your refrigerator to your house at no charge and install it for you.

• Best for: Homeowners and college students looking for a basic fridge.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs