KitchenAid Refrigerators
2.14/5
Based on 98 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

KitchenAid Refrigerators

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 17, 2018

859 KitchenAid Refrigerators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

On November 11, 2016, we purchased all new KitchenAid kitchen appliances (nearly $10,000) from a local reputable appliance dealer. On December 27, 2016, we took delivery of the new appliances, and after cabinet modifications, the fridge (Model KRFC704FSS) was installed and working by the second week in January 2017. Near the end of May 2017, we started to notice reduced cooling and slow ice making in the fridge, and arranged for a service call. The service rep came out June 19, 2017, and concluded the main control board needed to be replaced. One problem, since this was a new model/design parts were not available, and we did not know when the parts would be made available! After being without a fridge for weeks and many phone calls, the parts were finally overnighted, and the main control board was replaced. This appeared to fix the problem for several months until just recently over the holidays.

Keep in mind, we spent nearly $3500 for this fridge with LED lighting, wood serving tray, digital controls, etc., and absolutely love the looks, style, and functionality of it; However, we are now experiencing the same problem as before (not cooling and slow ice production), and again set up for a service call on January 3, 2018. The service tech came out and after running a few codes and consulting by phone with the Whirlpool/KitchenAid service repair team, spent nearly 3 hours completely disassembling the inside of the fridge to defrost the condenser cooling coils and reassemble the fridge. He indicated this should last for a several weeks, but also indicated the ultimate fix would have to wait until he returned to apply a silicon caulk along the exterior seam between the outer stainless-steel skin and interior plastic shell.

Since he did not have the right color of caulk, he needed to order it from Whirlpool/KitchenAid, which should arrive in a few weeks. Since we had the initial problem under the original warranty, we elected to purchase the extended manufacturer’s warranty service plan (3-years); so, this activity was being covered (i.e., no out of pocket). After conducting some research (like Anthony), we discovered this same fridge model and problem is documented across the internet. The model had already been redesigned (less than a year in production). Giving this some thought, and not liking the direction the repair was heading, we decided to start working with Whirlpool/KitchenAid directly to resolve my concern. Here is where it gets very interesting.

Initially, we went to the KitchenAid website and followed directions for a customer concern by sending an email to NAR Customer Solutions @KitchenAid.com. On 1/3/18, Lisha called and left a voicemail and requested a callback to 1-800-331-2689 and mention Ref # **. After about 40 minutes of hold, we talked with someone in Michigan (MI) who wanted to know if we used social media (?). We informed him no, that we just sent an email to NAR. Wrong department… He sent us to Kimberly in MI. When she realized we were on an extended service plan, again wrong department, and was told to call 1-866-265-2082. After about 30 minutes of hold, we get Ashley in Tennessee, we believe with AIG (the extended service plan underwriter). Then, we’re forwarded to Amber at 1-800-253-1301 and told to mention Ref #**.

After going thru the whole spiel again with her, we’re told to talk to her supervisor Marisa (?). She informs us there is nothing flawed with this fridge, and we must go the repair route. Not liking the fix for the fridge, we persisted to pursue a replacement that would work without a modification of additional caulking. We called again and talked with Katrina in MI with KitchenAid, who understood our concern that the repair was being made outside of the service contract by making an addition or modification using caulk and not repairing with new or refurbished parts, but she had to discuss with the service rep to confirm that was the fix. The next day she called back and left me a voicemail and requested I call back to 1-866-640-7146 and ask for her or Aleah. Unfortunately, this was not a direct line (as she indicated), and we were sent thru the same calling tree, recordings, on-hold, transfers, etc., again as previously mentioned.

Long story short, we finally gone thru to an Andrew in TN; then an Erin in TN; then her supervisor Katzman; and finally, the “Resolution Manager” in MI (?), Gabby (ext. **). This appeared to be where the buck stopped. She insisted that by adding the caulk, this was a fix under the extended contract (using new parts) because the caulk had a Whirlpool part # (even though caulk was not intended or initially installed there). We expressed our concern that the remedy to add a bead of caulk sealant to the exterior joint between the stainless steel shell and interior plastic was not a “repair” using “new or refurbished parts”, and that it was an “addition or modification”, and only appeared to be a “band-aid” fix for the poor design of air flow that was changed on this model of fridge within a year… She disagreed.

After spending about a half-hour on the phone with this manager, we were at the end of our rope. She thanked us for our time and mentioned she would document in our file our dissatisfaction with the proposed remedy to fix our fridge. In summary, if Whirlpool/KitchenAid were to admit and own up to this poor design flaw having subsequent failures, they’d be needing to recall and replace several units; hence, the reason for what we have gone thru and “contract misinterpretation” push back. We will proceed with the current fix, and tolerate at least 3 more repair visits over the next 3-years until the “No Lemon Guarantee” stipulation as provided in the KitchenAid Service Plan kicks in. Unless a class action lawsuit is initiated. Stand-by to see how that goes!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

French Door Refrigerator - KRFC300ESS. I should have read reviews about KitchenAid appliances before I purchased one. Please read this review and be careful when selecting your appliances and also check the warranty and service for these appliances. I purchased the refrigerator in October, 2016. In August, 2017, the freezer stopped working so all the food I had there I had to take out and consume or keep it in an ice box with ice. The refrigerator part also did not work - the temperature was +12C. I called Whirlpool (they are responsible for KitchenAid) and I was told that they will send out a technician. The technician came on August 23 but said he needs to order the part.

The part came and the technician changed it on August 30. The freezer worked but the refrigerator didn't. I called back customers' centre at Whirlpool and they sent out the technician again on September 1. The problem still was not fixed and the repair guy came back on September 13 and said he has to order another part. The part which was ordered was a wrong part so it had to be re-ordered and the 2nd order came on September 27th. After that call the refrigerator worked but then it started to "freeze" stuff. Once again the technician came on October 16 and said he has to order another part, on October 24 he installed it.

Yesterday I discovered that my fresh basil, lettuce were frozen. Again. I called the Whirlpool and they will be sending out the technician again (I think this guy can moved in with my family- he has been here so many times). Luckily I purchased extended warranty. Be prepared when you call the service centre to be put on hold - today I was on the phone with them for over 1 hour. I BOUGHT A LEMON!!! IF I KNEW THAT I WOULD HAVE SUCH A PROBLEM WITH KITCHENAID I WOULD HAVE NEVER PURCHASED IT. How many times will it take to fix this lemon! Obviously there is something wrong with this unit.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

We have had nothing but trouble with our new refrigerator (Counter depth refrigerator with French doors on top), which was delivered Aug 14th 2017. By Aug, it quit. We had to get everything out to save it, hauled it to our daughter's extra refrigerator and freezer, and it took 3 1/2 wks to get it fixed. The computer board went out and of course, it had to be ordered. We didn't get our refrigerator back until sometime in Sept. Then, just before Christmas, it quit again. Finally got someone out between the holidays to take a look at it, and of course, it couldn't get fixed until the 3rd of Jan because a panel was out on the new computer board.

There is a serious design problem with this refrigerator, and KitchenAid will not replace it or refund our money. Not a reputable company! They've cut corners on their products and are not the quality they used to be. Steer clear! We are in our 18th home and have had many refrigerators over the years. This is the worst. I also have a brand-new KitchenAid microwave that has been fixed and replaced because it had issues. Just wouldn't buy this brand.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Kitchenaid 29 cubic ft. refrigerator is a complete lemon. Repair company has rebuilt whole fridge twice, from computer system, evaporator, dehumidifier, gaskets, drawer rollers, ice/water LED pad, and not to mention the pitting (rust) on the outside stainless steel. Best part, it's not even 5 years old.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I originally purchased a KitchenAid refrigerator (model# KRFC604FSS) May 313 2017, along with 4 other KitchenAid appliances (this is a new build). All but the stove arrived 6/21/17. When we plugged the fridge in, it was making a very loud noise and many of our contractors said it was abnormally loud and I should call Pacific Kitchen & Home/Best Buy. When I did, I was told to talk to the Geek Squad and then call KitchenAid directly. That was the beginning of long wait times on the phone, automated voice messages, getting disconnected after providing endless details (they cannot call you back) and waiting to speak with a human that could take action. When I finally did speak with someone they argued with me about the date of purchase (which I have the receipt for) and "how loud" the noise was. They refused to replace the fridge and sent someone out.

The first time I sat home for 8 hours and no one showed up. They rescheduled. The second time, they said they would be there between 8 and 12. They didn't show up and said they would come at 2. I was not able to wait, so I asked to cancel, and they said they couldn't cancel the appointment after the driver was already en route. They showed up and no one was here. When I called to reschedule they said that I wasn't there for my appointment which I explained was not the case. Then they fixed the fridge but not the dent or the rust on the front door. So I started the process all over. Finally after many calls and arguments, asking them to just replace the door, they refused and sent me free stainless steel cleaner. Pacific Kitchen & Home agreed to replace the fridge since they thought KitchenAid should have done this.

The new fridge came the end of September. The ice maker stopped working early December (who needs ice during the peak holiday season?) So I made another appointment and they then canceled it, a few days before. Today the repairman came (12/29) and said that he didn't have the parts. He will be back next Friday. So this is the general gist of my experience so far. When the repair person arrives he is polite and does his best. Pacific Kitchen & Home have also tried their best (by replacing the fridge in September).

The bottom line is that KitchenAid produced a poor-quality product, would prefer to fight with the consumer than provide service, and sends their repair people out without the required parts. It is important to note that this fridge was over $2600 and I have now had to take time off from work, on four occasions, and it is still not working. I have had THE SECOND fridge in my house for three months. It is still not working properly and failed during the month that I have the most people at my home. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND going elsewhere with your business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KitchenAid?

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I purchased 5 KitchenAid appliances 45 days ago during their big 25% off promotion. That was mistake one. I get a call yesterday 4 days before delivery telling me that my fridge is backordered until April. This is the biggest load of lies since Donald Trump on Twitter. Investigating deeper and talking with my sales agent at home depot it sounds like any counterdepth fridge with external ice water have been pulled and no longer is available for purchase. They have even pulled all these models from the KitchenAid website. Ridiculous. Calling customer service, the company line is that there is no recall and it is available for order. So I ask if it's available why is it no longer on the website. Needless to say I need to cancel my entire KitchenAid purchase. Do not make the mistake of buying KitchenAid.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

What does a nearly $3k buy you nowadays? A refrigerator that will cost you another 1k in floor damage. If you are lucky enough to sleep through the gunshot popping noise, the icing up, and the leaky door will get you. The freezer door must now be held in closed position with dog food been pinned up against it.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I made a choice to buy all KitchenAid appliances when I built my home. I have had problems with all of them. Mostly the refrigerator. The first one only lasted 9 years. (From what I read I did good.) They did give me a good discount on a new built in refrigerator (2001). Now this one lost all the refrigerant from a copper line that corroded through. Called to get it repaired and found that no-one is willing to come out to repair it. I did find a place that said $1900.00. Looks like it's time to buy a different brand this time!!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

We originally notified KitchenAid's warranty department on or around 11/16/2017 about our refrigerator (KRFC704FPSoo) not cooling adequately and making a loud shrill noise. We were told that the service company (Authorized Service, Inc.) would be here on 11/17/2017. We were contacted on 11/17/2017 by the service repair company that they could not come until 11/20/2017. On 11/20/2017 the repair company showed up and told us that the compressor needed to be replaced and that it would take approximately a week for the parts to come in. On 11/28/2017 the repair company revisited and this time informed us that the problem was not the compressor and that the problem was a temperature sensor/regulator and that they would expedite ordering the replacement parts. After the repair company left, they later called and confirmed that they had ordered the parts.

I again notified the KitchenAid warranty department on 12/2/2017 and expressed our concerns regarding our warranty service and they started passing us around from department to department offering no help with our problem. On 12/4/2017 I contacted the repair company and informed them that we had not received the supposedly expedited repair parts and they informed me that they were scheduled to be here on 12/5/2017. When no repair parts were received on 12/5/2017 we again contacted the repair company and this time they informed us that the repair parts were ordered late afternoon on 12/4/2017. We were told to expect the parts to arrive on 12/6/2017. We later received another call from the repair company explaining that the repair parts would not be here until 12/7/2017.

During this process we also contacted Home Depot (where we purchased the refrigerator) on 12/2/2017 and spoke with someone in their appliance department and explained our problems and concerns with the Kitchenaid warranty service. The lady I spoke with told me that she would get in touch with Kitchenaid and she would see if she could find out what was going on and get back with us on 12/4/2017. She also mentioned that she would explain our situation with her associate manager.

Since I did not hear from anyone from Home Depot on 12/4/2017, I again contacted the appliance department and was informed that they could not help me. In the meantime we still are without the use of our refrigerator and it is now leaking water onto our new hardwood floors which I assume is being caused by the compressor freezing up and then thawing. This started happening on 12/2/2017 and was told to KitchenAid, Home Depot and the service repair company. After all that has happened with this refrigerator and the service supplied by all parties involved, KitchenAid, Authorized Service, Inc. and Home Depot, I would advise anyone to look elsewhere for their appliance needs.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

We have always liked the side-by-side model providing us the opportunity to access both freezer and refrigerator items. KitchenAid has been our favorite model as it stands the test of time, have not needed repairs as of yet, and our appliances are over 10 years old.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Tall side by side with brushed stainless finish and separate water and ice dispensers tall enough for glassware. Finish shows fingerprints and other marks, but cleans off ok. Filter cartridge accessed from outside and at bottom vent area. Controls and seals good for this unit and energy consumption seems about right and reasonable. Still has limitations of side by side for storage and standard depth is not as desirable as counter depth.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

My refrigerator is custom and I love it. I have had it for 10 years and the only problem I had was in the beginning with the ice maker. It still looks good and it still functions well.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Ice maker broke after 1 year. Tray leaked and damaged our floor. Problems started the first week! Paid more for repairs than we did for the refrigerator.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I bought it at a dent and scratch so sometimes it gets ice in freezer. The important part so far is that it keeps things nicely. It seems to keep everything beyond what is expected in the fruit and veg departments and milk lasts longer.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

The produce drawers are always too cold, regardless of how I adjust the temperature, which s/t damages some of it. The ice container freezes inside and is very difficult to remove.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

The refrigerator works and does what it supposed to do, but the noise level is intolerable. Their service said that there is nothing that can be done. It is noisy: 24/7.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

Ice maker occasionally and voluntarily spits out ice cubes on to my hardwood floor. Not good! Also we had to install new style tubing to redirect flow of freezer defrost condensation. Condensation was filling the bottom of freezer and then dripping on to hardwood floor.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

My fridge is great. Sturdy, sleek & keeps my food fresh. Freshness is important to me and my family. Just the right size! Not too big or too small. With three people in our house that drink different flavors of soda, all three 12 packs fit!!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

My KitchenAid fridge is 19 years old and I have never had a problem! I would definitely buy another KitchenAid again! The only thing I would like is to have ice/water in the door!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Reliable, neat looking but should have gotten something larger. Was not prepared for another family to move in. This is a good size but I really don't know if they make them larger without having to custom order.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

This refrigerator works ok, but there are some issues. Both doors have to be opened in order to get the crispers open. That is kind of a hassle. Also the left door never seems to close fully. It keeps popping open and setting off the alarm.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

KitchenAid Superba Counter Depth 24.5 cft. Stainless Steel (Bins in doors broke fairly soon. I did not cram items in there unreasonably). Hard to regulate temperature. Light cover in back of fridge cracked. Excellent lighting inside fridge. Ice maker performed well. Have had for about ten years.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I was told it was one of the best on the market and I only believe in getting the best appliance. The presentation in my kitchen make it look super beautiful.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I like the features it has. And the color is fabulous. My husband and I love it. Space in freezer, fits our needs. Tell everyone what a great refrigerator it is, and recommend they get one too.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I always dreamed of having a KitchenAid Refrigerator...until I got one. This refrigerator has shelves that are impossible to clean and have actually rusted in the area that can't be cleaned. The freezer drawers are not the correct size for many things. I would never buy this brand of refrigerator again.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I enjoy my refrigerator. I like the size inside and the way it is completely functional for my needs. I do believe if I ever need to replace this appliance that I will get the same brand.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

Replacement parts are not available, some parts have to be sent out for weeks to be repaired leaving you without a refrigerator. Needed to be repaired several times, not being able to get replacement parts is ridiculous.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

Best fridge that I have ever owned. Had to replace the ice maker (hubby did it for the cost of the parts) and it was still going strong when we sold the house 16 years later. Quiet and reliable!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Great look and value. The only issue I have is the cost of the water filter. About 49.95 in the store. Found a pack of three on eBay for less but KitchenAid needs to look for a more reasonably priced filter.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

The KitchenAid is big and room inside the adjustable shelves make the difference. The deli drawer is large and the veggie drawer is really big. The French doors are great so that you can open either door. You don't have to open the same door all the time. The ice & water on the outside is also very handy also for the kids.

KitchenAid expert review by ConsumerAffairs

KitchenAid is an American home appliance brand owned by Whirlpool. The company began in 1919, and it makes a variety of refrigerator sizes and styles.

• Variety: KitchenAid makes refrigerators with a range of different features, such as climate control, intuitive controls, spill-resistant glass and more.

• Price: KitchenAid offers a range of prices so that customers can find the model they are looking for within the price range they want.

• Features: KitchenAid's fridges come with many features, such as icemakers, French doors, side-by-side doors and bottom freezers.

• Availability: It's easy to find KitchenAid's products at many retail stores, as well as on its website.

• Free delivery service: KitchenAid will deliver your refrigerator to your house at no charge and install it for you.

• Best for: Homeowners and college students looking for a basic fridge.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

www.kitchenaid.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use