1.19/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

926 KitchenAid Refrigerators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I purchased a double door freezer bottom KitchenAid refrigerator on May 28, 2018. 7 months later I am waiting for the repairman for the second time. The entire unit has stopped working twice already. I have lost all perishables both times. KitchenAid refuses to replace this defective appliance. Today is the third day I have missed work waiting for a repairman. This unit cost me $2800.00. Do not buy a KitchenAid product. KitchenAid is no longer a name brand you can rely on.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

The fridge started leaking at the top. I paid $115 from a repairman to be told this is a known defect for this fridge (air leak at the top). So KitchenAid should offer free repair for anyone who this affects. They are now made differently, so why should I be stuck with a lemon? I am so mad right now, repairing it is out of the question as I was quote $650. Also if this is a known defect, why didn't KitchenAid alert us? I could have saved $115 by not having a repairman out to our house. The solution for this is to turn the water off to our fridge and not having a water or ice maker, which is half the reason we bought the fridge. Stay away from this entire brand. We are also dealing with a Kitchenaid microwave that the whole door has fallen apart, literally, cracking and chipping away and I spent $225 for a new door that should arrive any day.

Get expert buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Kitchen Aid 3-door fridges, that is double door on top of a freezer door are the WORST design ever. After few years the doors will not close the hinges will break and the compressor will fail. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS GARBAGE AND CHEAP PRODUCT. Save your money and go with the competition.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

We bought all new KitchenAid appliances in our new home 2 years ago. The refrigerator, French door, started having issues with the bottom veggie drawer not closing all the way. Ice was forming behind the drawer. Finally we went to the store where we purchased the appliances and they came out and repaired the problem. Cost $193. Wish we had purchased the extended warranty. I thought we were buying a better product because of the name and price. Next time I will buy GE $1000 or more cheaper than this brand. I wish things were built to last. Everything now is disposable and cost outrageous prices. It's sad that we pay such a high price and then have to pay 100s more to keep the thing working after only two years! From what I've read in these reviews KitchenAid has really went downhill as a "top of the line" appliance. So as for me and mine no more KitchenAid.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I purchased a new fridge stove and dishwasher less than 2 years ago. All three of the appliances have had problems since the day I got them. KitchenAid appliances will never go in my kitchens. The sad part is they don’t want to make it better. My dishwasher won’t drain as of today. My stoves control board is out. My freezer seals are bad. What’s next???

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KitchenAid?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

When we moved into our new house (new build) this was our refrigerator. It looked wonderful, but that's about all I can say positive about it or Whirlpool. Constant icing issues with no resolution from Whirlpool. This is a known issue as I've come to find, but all Whirlpool does is provide a "repair" to melt the ice. No replacement, this is the third or fourth time this has happened. My recommendation is to NEVER buy this model, and if possible, never buy from Whirlpool.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I bought a whole suite of KitchenAid products when I moved into my new house. I bought KitchenAid brand because my Mom had only recently (at the time) replaces all her KitchenAid alliances that lasted well over 30 years! I thought mine would be the same but NO, NO, NO! The first repair case to the $1200 dishwasher which I paid extra for because it was SO quiet. It was a total splurge but I deserved it after living with the loudest dishwashers for years. It was a simple fix but now needs the same fix again. This time it’ll be out of warranty.

The worst appliance though is the fridge! I hate it! I have never seen a fridge freeze up more than this one. The first time it was repaired the tech said it was a terrible design and that I should expect more fixes, he wasn’t wrong. Apparently, the fridge thermometer regulator, coils, etc are in a terrible spot that allow it to freeze up easily. Once it’s frozen and if you don’t notice (it can happen quickly too) it can destroy the main parts of the fridge that make it work & stay cold! So far there’s been 3 fixes to this system but now I’m done. I will be dumping this fridge, I’ve owned for only 5 years and buying a new one because I’m sick of its issues. I’m sad that KitchenAid now makes such inferior products. The only KitchenAid I’ll keep in my kitchen now will be my stand mixer (knock on wood).

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

Obviously, I am extremely dissatisfied with this refrigerator to take time to write a review. I don't even know where to start to list the problems we've had. Repairs have been time-consuming and costly. One repair to replace almost all of the working innards was 4 hours of labor. At least Whirpool covered the parts ($1500) and labor ($700) but only covered the labor after I called customer service and complained. Other problems include the "metal" strips on drawers discoloring and peeling after only 2 years, plastic vegetable drawers breaking and needing replacing at $100 each (out of pocket).

The protective kick panel is broken and won't re-attach so bottom wires sticking out. The fridge and freezer doors are permanently misaligned and don't line up at top and one door protrudes at bottom. Technician says can't be fixed. Husband has tried to fix using instructions in booklet with no luck. Ice maker stopped working. Fridge occasionally leaks large amount of water into kitchen. Technician can't seem to fix problem. It is absolutely the worst appliance I have ever owned. I'm 63. It's a total of piece of junk.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

We did a complete kitchen remodel and purchased the KitchenAid French Door refrigerator. It was installed in March 2018. First repair call was in October 2018. The ice machine stopped working. We contacted the company, a repairman came out and had to order a new part for the fridge (which took another 2 weeks for the order to ship and installation). Less than one month later, the ice machine broke again and the LED light on the shelf started blinking like a strobe light. Repairman called again, new parts had to be ordered again and another 2 week wait for the parts to come in and be installed. I wish I had never purchased this product. All of the other new appliances in our kitchen are GE Cafe. Buyers remorse; I wish I had bought the GE refrigerator instead of this poorly built KitchenAid “wanna be”.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

The first fridge was returned after a day when it never cooled. The replacement lasted 7 months and is currently at 65 degrees. Since it is still under warranty I must go through KitchenAid. Over the past week I have been placed on hold for 7 hours. The one time I did speak with someone about an exchange they were rude and misleading regarding the problems with this product, come to find out. When I had such a difficult time with corporate I went back to the dealer. After going through their channels, I was told that corporate tried to email me (not true) and wanted me to call them back! Can you believe that!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

We purchased a new five door KitchenAid refrigerator 16 months ago for over $3500. It stopped working two months ago. We found the local warranty service firm and they have been out here 5 times. They have replaced the compressor twice, and a specific valve once but have not been able to restore function to the unit. They came twice to take readings for KitchenAid's tech department. We've been 8 weeks without a refrigerator. The service people said they have done everything but the unit should be replaced. So far KitchenAid has not authorized a replacement. Sad state of affairs. I certainly won't buy another KitchenAid appliance.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Our $9,000 KitchenAid built-in fridge is 10 years old and required $1,500 in repairs for a faulty control board. The original control board is discontinued (my guess is because they found that it was faulty) and it will now cost even more for the repairman to rebuild the current board. I am not sure why this appliance costs so much when there is no noticeable difference between this fridge and our last home's fridge (except for the fact that it is built in) and clearly you are not paying for quality.

For this price I expect better quality control and longer lasting products. When we replace this fridge I will definitely buy another brand. Apparently the fridge has had lots of previous maintenance as well. The company told us that they have been out to our house with the previous owners multiple times. It's shocking to me that a $8,0000-$9,000 appliance could require so much maintenance in the first ten years of its life. Don't waste your money - go with a company that is known for high quality, not just high prices.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

On June 27, 2018 my parents purchased side by side KitchenAid refrigerator model: KRSF505ESS. They made this purchase at Canadian Appliance Source. The product was delivered on Sep.20.18. The product has not performed well since opened, the freezer didn’t freeze and the ice maker didn’t work. To resolve the problem, we contacted WHIRLPOOL CANADA, at phone 1-800-807-6777 as they are taking care of the appliances after the purchase as a manufacture warranty. We scheduled an appointment for Sep.27.2018 and the technician appeared on the wrong address, even though he was provided with the address shown above and the postal code. We called to Whirlpool Customer service again and scheduled new appointment for Oct.1.2018 from 9am-1pm, Spoke to Brenda. We arranged the time and took time off from work, nobody appeared, no phone call made to notify us.

When called Whirlpool on Oct.2.2018, they advise that the appointment from Oct 1st rescheduled for Oct. 2nd (without any notification to the customer) and the technical behind the schedule. The time of my call was 8pm Est. on Oct.2.2018. The tech didn’t come (spoke to Stephanie). I called Whirlpool on Oct.3.2018 stating that the technician wasn’t at the place and they offered to reschedule the appointment for Oct.10.2018 for 8am-12pm (Spoke to Tylor). At this time the technician Ram **, from “The Appliance Pros" came. He did some maintenance and advised to wait for 24 hours to see if the fridge is working. The refrigerator didn’t work, and at this point both the fridge and the freezer weren’t operated.

I was calling Whirlpool Canada on Oct.11.2018 and explaining that the fridge is not working. The representative after a long wait on hold explained that we are on emergency status but unfortunately she doesn’t have any records or documentations from the technician about the issue. I called Whirlpool Canada on Oct.12.2018 at 8:30am Est, and they said that the technician should come secondly to monitor the issue, and it is scheduled for Oct.16.2018, and again nobody notified us about this.

I am very frustrated customer of being offered poor service, very long waiting times on hold, NO COMMUNICATION between the customer, the Customer Service and the maintenance team, and no resolution in timely manner. I would like to address it, since it is not the way Whirlpool should serve their customers. I would like to get faster response for the addressed issues, need to be notified about any changes that done by the customer support representative about any changes or updates about the service. I'm not typically writing reviews but this situation should definitely be addressed. I hope my review will avoid people of dealing with CAS in particular and Whirlpool Canada in general.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I purchased a side by side Kitchenaid (KRFC704FSS00) fridge in April 2017 and was so excited for this beautiful appliance! It was their newest model, with all the latest features and upgraded interior and had a hefty price tag. After a few months our ice machine was not working properly so we had to have a technician come out. They told us this machine does not produce large amounts of ice and makes it every 3 hours. With a family of six this is not cutting it, there is never any ice!!!

Woke up this morning to find our Fridge had DIED!!! No power and all the food was spoiling. The board blew out after 16 months of purchasing. Absolutely ridiculous. And of course since it has been over 1 year since purchase, so it is no longer covered under warranty. $500 later to have the unit fixed. To say I am disappointed is an understatement. I will never purchase a Kitchenaid/Whirlpool product again!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

We purchased a NEW KitchenAid refrigerator 24 months ago. We were advised by family to always buy extended warranty on refrigerator regardless of brand because “they aren’t well made anymore.” We purchased warranty and accepted poor standard for expensive appliance. Within 1 yr the ice maker stopped working. Within 2 years the refrigerator side stopped holding adequate temperature. The warranty covered both repairs. What was more disappointing is the “styrofoam” part that was removed from the refrigerator. The service repair technician left the old part as evidence that they removed and installed true manufactured parts (from Whirlpool). I took pictures and will upload if that feature is available in this review. How much money did KitchenAid save by installing a large styrofoam part in their expensive product. It’s too bad consumers don’t have better options and shouldn’t expect more.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

My very expensive top of the line, 2 year old KitchenAid fridge (KRMF706ESS) broke. Had service tech out to tell me KitchenAid would have to provide parts and not pay. After weeks, KitchenAid told me they would have to replace the fridge and would have it to us within 2 weeks. A month later and I call to find out it's backordered again and they cannot give me a date when it will be shipped. Offered $150 to help me through months of no fridge in my house! I would not recommend buying KitchenAid to anyone at this point! Can't fix nor replace unit!!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

KitchenAid did not accept responsibility for object left in drain line at the factory. Ref. Model # KRFF507ESS01, Serial # K62811944. Constant freezing and leaking into bottom freezer. Finally KitchenAid repairman found orange object lodged in the drain line. Cost $190.95 and a year and a half of awful freezing problems. Do not buy KitchenAid Refrigerators.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Bought a KitchenAid model KFIS29PBMS03 in August 2015, it stopped cooling and making ice in July 2017. It turns out that it can't defrost itself. After in excess of ten service calls (through and paid for by KitchenAid) they declared it unrepairable 14 months later. The Tech Line said it couldn't be repaired and that I should contact "Customer Care". They contacted me two days later and said they wouldn't replace it because it was no longer under warranty! Stay away from anything that's says Whirlpool or KitchenAid on it. Junk!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

In 2013 I purchased a KitchenAid package of appliances for my house. Since last year I have had the repair people out on 5 different occasions and I am still having issues. The model number is KFIS29PBMS02. Initially I was having issues with the ice maker and freezer and the PO code which means powers failure. I was told to have an electrician check the outlet which I did and it was fine. They then said it was a circuit board but didn’t know which one and they recommend replacing both which we did. No sooner did they leave and the code popped up again. They said it must have been a bad board and replaced another board. After they left it acted up again.

Tech came out and said it was a bad deli board which is the last thing the company wants to replace due to the cost. I told them ice machine is still not working right. He said I may need a new machine. I couldn’t afford one at this point after taking numerous days off from work to meet the repairman. Fridge had also frozen up and the guy defrosted with his heat gun and said KitchenAid knows that the condensers are bad because they are aluminum and they have been replacing them. Fridge froze up again, ice maker makes ice randomly say a tray a week if lucky. I put bought ice in the dispenser and it melts. They are coming to replace the condenser this week after making arrangements for someone to stay at my house to wait for the repairman.

Talked to different repairman today before he came and told him the problem and he said it may not be the condenser which is under warranty still (5 years). Frustrated as hell and think there is class action status here. Customer service at Kitchenaid sucks. They do not care and basically told me I didn’t put enough money out to qualify as a lemon.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Built-In Double French Door Refrigerator, Side By Side, Freezer Drawer Bottom. 1 Year Old, $10K Unit. Five service calls on the doors that don't close or seal properly. Door springs replaced 4 times. Last a couple of weeks, then break again. Service is subbed out to an appliance repair outfit that could care less. Poorly made product. KitchenAid should replace this box under warranty, but they keep giving me the runaround. Bad product. Bad Company. Bad Service.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I bought my first KitchenAid side by side refrigerator about 15 years ago. It constantly had problems with excessive moisture in the fruit and veggie drawers, that rotted all my produce, and the cheap plastic door shelves that kept breaking. They cost $40 each to replace, and this happens often. I had an opportunity to offload that one during a renovation, and bought the identical model (to fill the exact size space in my cupboards) about 6 years ago, based on salesman's pitch how good KitchenAid is (I figured maybe I got a lemon, but have since learned they are all junky). It arrived with butter door that wouldn't close. I had to call a repairman under warranty, as the retailer wouldn't do anything. Turned out the whole exterior door was warped, so they had to replace the entire door of the brand new fridge. Not an impressive start.

Then this newer one has the same excess moisture retention / condensation problem as the previous one. Also, the door water dispenser only chills about 1 glass of water at a time, utterly useless. And in last 6 years, door shelves have broken 4 times, and cost $40 each time to replace with the same cheap quality plastic. Cheap junk is all KitchenAid makes. This time, when the butter flip door broke and I ordered a new one, KitchenAid sent a replacement that was scratched and poorly made with a big lump blister on it. (3 weeks wait to get it.) I returned it and waited another 3 weeks, just got the second replacement, even worse quality. It has foggy patches of plastic making it look old and used, along with the big rough scratched blistered splotch, is totally an eyesore. Obviously NO QUALITY CONTROL AT KITCHENAID.

This cheap plastic door again costs over $40 and I get better stuff at the Dollar Store. I also have KitchenAid dishwasher, that had motherboard problems (very expensive, $1000 replacement) after 14 months. DO NOT BUY KITCHENAID. The pap the salesmen feed you that KitchenAid make quality products is totally untrue. They make cheap junk and sell for high prices to gullible consumers, and YOU THE CONSUMER WILL HAVE TO SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES IF YOU BUY THEIR STUFF. Warning to the wise!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Horrible French door fridge model KBFS20EVMS. We have had many problems since we bought this less than six years ago. The refrigerator portion is set on 44 and still freezes the food. The icemaker stopped working. The fridge leaks. I've had that cosmetic rust issue on the exterior. The seals are shot and I cleaned mold/mildew from the rubber seals. Avoid KitchenAid products.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I was a builder in Atlanta for 30 years and used KitchenAid in my homes many times. I installed a high-end side by side just under 2 years ago in my personal home and it suddenly started forming ice. When the technician came he took apart the panel with the cooling element and found the sealer wire which was installed crimped had destroyed the thermistor which regulates the fridge. When I called KitchenAid their answer was over time, which could be anywhere from a week to years the parts or the way it was put together could break down. Really? I never would have used KitchenAid if I knew they weren’t responsible for the correct installation of original parts. It cost $325 to fix.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

This is coming out of frustration dealing with KitchenAid fridges. Had an older KitchenAid fridge (Built-In) which lasted about 15 years and decided to go with another KitchenAid as a replacement. Purchased the KBFN402ESS - where it's categorized as a "Luxury" fridge, that's built-in with the latest technologies and cooling features, yet it was super expensive and have been a major headache since the get-go.

1) The fridge delivered came as a LEMON. This was during a crucial time, when my wife just gave birth and we're new parents, trying to have the fridge ready to cover my wife's nutrient intake, and breastmilk storage. It took KitchenAid 4 weeks to come back and forth for diagnostic / small repairs, and it was not until I was adamant that we must replace the fridge, and finally they noted as "out of courtesy" they will replace. If KitchenAid cannot guarantee the fridge will operate and perform well within 1 year of purchase, PLEASE GET OUT OF THE BUSINESS - why are you producing such poor quality products?

2) Upon replacing the fridge, and it's only been 8 months - this new fridge has gone berserk once again under normal operational usage. Freezer had frost build-up, and the technician came and noted that the whole control board, along with fans and other parts will now need to be replaced. All the frozen breastmilk and frozen items, including some of the items in the main fridge have been spoiled.

In summary,
1) KitchenAid does not stand behind its products.
2) KitchenAid produces POOR QUALITY fridges labelled as "LUXURY" and HIGH-END Fridge.
3) KitchenAid customer care is slow, and does not address customer's concerns and compensation.

4) KitchenAid should perform stricter quality control and thorough testing before releasing products into the market with prompt service and warranty/guarantees - what good is your internal QC, if the fridge breaks on Day 1 or within 1 year?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

We did a kitchen remodel less than a year ago with a kitchen refrigerator side by side with ice & water dispenser model KFIS20XVMSII. This refrigerator is a disaster, the temperature for the freezer and refrigerator side has risen to 40 degrees F and 61 degrees F. Pressing the reset button to the suggested temp of 0 degrees and 35 degrees is not working. I came home from work and had to tossed all the food inside into the garbage. I am so disappointed and will be on the phone 1st thing in the morning with KitchenAid. I wished I had read the reviews about this model, it is a common problem. Buyers beware.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

We just built a house and bought all new shiny appliances, including a KitchenAid refrigerator side-by-side, counter deep, very expensive. On DAY 1, the freezer temp was raising, we kept lowering it back to 0 F. On DAY 2, it doesn't go below 16. Now day 5 and it's 32, and doesn't respond to pushing temp control down. Technician "may" come tomorrow. Meanwhile, food will start spoiling. Also, no instructions came with it, except how to install. Gee, thanks! NOT BUY THIS!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

In September of 2016 we purchased a very expensive KitchenAid fridge, almost $3,000. It was supposed to be the top of the line. Thank goodness we bought the extended warranty, because as I write this I am waiting for the repairman to come out for the FOURTH time. This will be the third time that ice has built up along the inside of the back wall, and to fix it requires the unit to be shut off, drawers and shelves removed, and the ice to melt away so he can open up the back and do his thing. The ice build up impacts the fan, creating a loud noise, and inhibits the ability of the unit to make ice. The other service call was for a malfunctioning deli tray control. Prior to this unit, for 14 years I had a Bosch unit in my other home which worked flawlessly. I would never buy another KitchenAid fridge again.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Purchased 5 years ago. Constant problems including: 1/ Fridge not staying cold - year 1. Fan that pushes cold air to the fridge from freezer failed. 2/ Freezer not staying cold - year 2. Complete replacement of cooling system - under warranty. 3/ Constantly restarting - year 4. Fridge would shut down and restart many times per day. Sometimes it would show PO (Power Out) warning. Circuit boards replaced - not under warranty. 4/ Stopped making ice cubes - year 4. Replaced ice making unit - not under warranty. 5/ Constantly restarting - year 5. Not repaired yet. 6/ Flimsy shelving. Re-glued a number of internal drawers because they were falling apart. 7/ Noisy. Wasn't bad when originally purchased but after #2 and #4 repairs it got progressively worse and now sounds like a freight train running. I will never purchase another KitchenAid nor anything else by the manufacturer of KitchenAid.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Has anyone else been annoyed by what I call a design flaw regarding ice falling behind the drawer? The ice maker drops ice on top of the trigger arm and when the tray is pulled out, ice gets dragged back onto the freezer floor and sometimes bounces out onto kitchen floor. I'm dealing with a local business (who sold the fridge to me) regarding the issue. "I've sold hundreds of these and not gotten a complaint". Well, you are now. I have been asked to bring the bin in to see if it is "warped or something". Yeesh.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

We purchased a dishwasher, microwave, oven and refrigerator from KitchenAid about a year ago and are currently having the refrigerator repaired for the 3rd time for the SAME issue! The fan in the refrigerator (KRFF707ESS01) doesnt work properly which allows ice to form in the back. This means that the drawers dont close anymore and the fan is very loud since it is hitting the ice. KitchenAid customer service has been absolutely useless. Im very disappointed in the product quality and the company and will never purchase a KitchenAid product or any Whirlpool product ever again!

KitchenAid expert review by ConsumerAffairs

KitchenAid is an American home appliance brand owned by Whirlpool. The company began in 1919, and it makes a variety of refrigerator sizes and styles.

• Variety: KitchenAid makes refrigerators with a range of different features, such as climate control, intuitive controls, spill-resistant glass and more.

• Price: KitchenAid offers a range of prices so that customers can find the model they are looking for within the price range they want.

• Features: KitchenAid's fridges come with many features, such as icemakers, French doors, side-by-side doors and bottom freezers.

• Availability: It's easy to find KitchenAid's products at many retail stores, as well as on its website.

• Free delivery service: KitchenAid will deliver your refrigerator to your house at no charge and install it for you.

• Best for: Homeowners and college students looking for a basic fridge.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs