KitchenAid Refrigerators

Compare Refrigerators

Research top Refrigerators recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Purchased KitchenAid refrigerator in Jan. 2013 for 2,500. Fast forward to Feb 2017, freezer defrosts food overnight. Freezer full of food lost. Next fridge no longer cooling. Call local appliance repair company. Comes out same day! Informs me he is unable to repair issue and advises that it is a recall issue and provides me all recall info.

Well, calling Whirlpool customer service was the worst customer service I have ever received. After 2 calls and 2 hours later, finally got an appointment booked for a tech to come repair issue, but was told this repair would be at my expense as Whirlpool disputes the fact that this is a recall, even though I had the service point number quoted to me by a qualified repair technician. Regardless refrigerator needed repair. Was told I would receive call from agent evening before appointment date. No call. Appointment window I was given was 9am-5pm, by 2pm not even a phone call yet.

Called CS line again and was advised no tech would be coming out to my home. No sympathy at all from any agent I dealt with, in fact, found them all to be extremely rude!! Next available appointment not for one full week. Was told they will not provide any compensation! Worst experience ever. Will NEVER recommend KitchenAid to anyone nor will I ever purchase another KitchenAid appliance in the future. So disappointing.

DO NOT purchase a KitchenAid refrigerator. In the six months we've owned it there have multiple issues from damaged and dented in shipping to misfunctioning valves to a punctured evaporator coil from excessive ice build up. The customer service centre in Tennessee is a complete sham. Their response is scripted and unfriendly. DONT DO IT!!!

I purchased the French door with bottom freezer style fridge from KitchenAid and couldn't be happier. It was bought at a Scratch and Dent store, which made me a bit uneasy for any possible damages that may show up later, but so far everything has been great. Fairly quiet in our open layout kitchen / living room floor plan.

I love that it has a water spout on the inside, leaving the exterior clean without the typical water/ice dispenser eyesore. Also leaves less room for broken parts to be fixed. 8 months of ownership so far and the only thing we had to change was the water pressure on the spout. Very easy.

We bought the KitchenAid refrigerator in 2013. It was on clearance at Lowe's. Now I know why it was a great deal, because they have problems with them. As I read the reviews from other consumers, we have the same exact problem with the freezer. It leaks water and freezes on the tray after 1 year. We have to break up the ice and empty it out every two weeks. The ice maker quit making ice after three years and now I just shut off the ice maker. My husband bought me a KitchenAid mixer for Christmas 2015 and after a year of sitting on the counter I decided to use it. It literally Sucks. I have had my Sunbeam Mixer for over 15 years, I'm still happy to use it. I will never buy KitchenAid, Whirlpool, Amana Product again.

KFIS27CXWH2 - We purchased this French door style/bottom freezer style from ABT Electronics in July 2011. Within two years we had leaking under freezer under our wooden floors. We called one serviceman who couldn't detect the issue. Called ABT and they were out approximately 12 times to finally resolve the issue by installing a heater unit in ice maker which happens to be located in the upper left side of the ceiling inside refrigerator.

Never again will I purchase a unit with an ice maker in unit vs. freezer. Just after a year and parts warranty expiration - it began leaking again and thankfully I was home to avoid a real disaster and could turn off water. Yet another serviceman was out 2 days again who left stating he couldn't find anything wrong with ice maker. As of today water is not running into ice maker although we do have water in the dispenser on outside door of unit. Has anyone else had this model who has experienced the same issue? Every time I decide to replace the unit - I want to try one more time to remedy this problem.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KitchenAid?

The slowest ice maker I've ever had. KitchenAid is NOT upper-end products, only their price is upper end. Never again will I go with this brand. We did a new oven, Microwave, and fridge. All three are subpar.

We bought this Kitchenaid Superba almost 20 years ago. It is stainless steel and has maintained its appearance and durability. It is a side-by-side and not as roomy or as large as I would like, but is a great refrigerator. It's reliable and it looks great.

I purchased my first extended warranty with hesitation. Just four months into the contract I called for a repair. AIG is provider of the insurance coverage. AIG will make up ANY excuse not to pay any repairs especially if over and beyond their contract price which by the way I paid $500 for the extended warranty. NOW I am out the $500 PLUS the repair costs!!! HINT: NEVER turn off your appliance. If you do and the appliance does not work correctly when turned back on, this is considered pre-existing and AIG will not cover the repair. ANY REPAIR even though you have parts that have been replaced that broke down in 4 months after replacement and should have a one year warranty coverage! Also AIG claims you have a 45-day window to make a claim otherwise they will not cover and claim pre-existing!! And worst of all this is not even written on the contract anywhere. I'll NEVER buy an extended warranty again, especially if AIG is involved

I purchased the KitchenAid appliances because I researched their use, and got good reviews, and my prior refrigerator was KitchenAid. I have been satisfied on their durability. I always search items that I want to purchase, and read reviews to see if there are any problems.

The refrigerator is on the expensive side but has a beautiful style. I also love the two extra drawers for drinks and produce. Ice maker components are metal not plastic like other refrigerators so it is much better for crushing ice and less likely to break. Plus ice maker is on the door so it doesn't take up space on the shelf of refrigerator. However, fingerprints are a problem and there's not enough storage space on the doors.

I have owned this refrigerator (Kitchen Air refrigerator model #KFCS22EVMS2) for almost 4 years and it continually has had problems (e.g., seals around doors deteriorating). Before this I owned a SubZero for over 10 years and never had any problems whatsoever. If there had been room in my current house I would own a SubZero again. So I purchased what I hoped would be a fine quality refrigerator (the KitchenAid) to discover it is badly built with poor quality components. The question is, are there appliances that truly are quality built that are within the financial capability of the majority of people?

I purchased a KitchenAid refrigerator in April 2012 for $$$. So you know I had a Kenmore for 22 years that this KitchenAid was replacing and I actually sold the Kenmore for $50 because it still worked perfectly. I figured KitchenAid was a top of the line appliance. Ice maker went out within 13 months and after several calls I got them to cover parts and labor to fix it, but that's not the complaint here. Fast forward to 2016. In May 2016 the whole unit shut down and after several calls into CS found out it was my sealed system that went out and it was covered. It took a while to get my money back though. The day before Christmas 2016 my refrigerator went out.

Long story short, I called the authorized KA service provider to come back out and they told me it would $450 to repair (again, 3rd major repair in 4 1/2 years while the 2nd major repair in 2016). After receiving the estimate I called KitchenAid CS to talk to them about this but their systems were down and couldn't help me and told me to call back the next day. Not thinking because I had a house full of kids on Christmas break from college I figured I would call back once I got back to work this week. Once I got a hold of someone from KA she told me KA would cover the parts only which I was ok with. She told me she would call the authorized repair company and get it worked out.

I told her I already had it repaired because I had gone a week without a refrigerator anyway. KitchenAid won't reimburse a customer, just an authorized repair company. What a piece of ** company. Every time I contact KA they tell me the same thing. Appliances are meant to last forever and they never promised me that. I have another 20 year old GE refrigerator in my garage that's worked perfectly that whole time and I spent like $500 on it. This was my first and MY LAST KitchenAid/Whirlpool purchase.

I have an unusual space to fit a fridge into. The KitchenAid was the only one that I could find that would fit. It turned out to be a great value and look great as well and I'm very pleased. The interior space for a rather short fridge is awesome. The inside is very easy to keep clean and cleaning is not a favorite pastime. The stainless steel is easy to take care of and I would buy this brand again even if I was not looking for a "hobbit" of a fridge.

I've had this refrigerator about 20 years and it works fine except recently. The ice maker has been problematic. It makes ice but we have to take it out manually as the little black door does not work properly anymore and ice cannot be dispensed automatically.

Our KitchenAid Refrigerator has French doors/great design in and out. However, the dual compressors do not last longer than 3-6 months. We've had two different KitchenAid refrigerators (27 and 29 cubic feet) in five years, and both had the very same problems. The parent company, Whirlpool, replaced parts during the first year of ownership. The years 2-5 were covered by the warranty we purchased at the store (Warrantech/NSI). The problems continued through those years, yet the NSI refused to replace the fridge. The appliance store offered a replacement...KUDOS to Bray & Scarff. NOTE: I observed the techs during their visits here, and looked at the parts that they pulled from the fridge and the replacement parts were ALL PLASTIC. They were all made from Mexico, China, and other countries. They have very poor quality and Whirlpool does not stand behind their products.

It is an average refrigerator with ice bucket in the door. However, the ice in bucket always clumps. Also, it is difficult to keep dust and dirt off the grill underneath the refrigerator due to tight distance between grill and floor space. It is hard to regulate the temperature controls for the vegetable bins. After cleaning the dirt and fuzz from the grill at bottom of the refrigerator there was a noise.

I had a lot of problems with the ice maker and freezer. There are only two of us in the home and the ice clumps together, ice cubes were not clear and I get freezer burn on packages. We are told it is because we open the doors too much???

We bought our KitchenAid refrigerator in late 2013. Luckily we did purchase the extended warranty, something we didn't typically do. When we were first married it seemed like we could count on a refrigerator lasting fifteen years or so, not anymore. Two years into it we started having problems. It wasn't producing enough ice, started leaking water on the floor when freezer items began to thaw. When I called the place where we bought the refrigerator (Hills Flat Lumber, Grass Valley, CA), all I got was "you'll have to find your warranty and call them". I was in the midst of a family health crisis at the time, so it was extremely frustrating. I found the warranty and took care of all that. The refrigerator was back to working.

About a month ago it started demonstrating all the same problems as before. Right before the holidays! Even though we had the warranty, it took awhile to get anyone out, and then two weeks longer for the parts. I was without a refrigerator over the Christmas holidays. Luckily the garage has been cold, so I have been storing my food out there. I finally had the guy out to fix it a couple of days ago. I called them back today to let them know that the freezer isn't the least bit cold. So... About a month without a working refrigerator. It is pretty frustrating. I've always thought KitchenAid was a good product. I still use my KitchenAid mixer that I got as a wedding gift 33 years ago. But I think the refrigerator is a LEMON!

We have owned this unit for over ten years and never had a problem. The capacity was perfect to our needs and ease of use. Also, the adjustable shelves allow us to change compartment size to fit larger items.

The shelving inside is pitiful. I remember when you bought a refrigerator all the shelves were made to be used and were included in the cost of it. Nowadays, that is not the case. Not realizing this, three of the shelves on the door side are not usable. These are considered "extra" and are not part of the purchase. I was dumb founded when I noticed that the brackets for these shelves were not included with the refrigerator when it was delivered. I was not told these were extra since the floor model DID have these shelves set up with brackets and all!!

This was the only refrigerator on the market that fit into the space available from our previous fridge. Three times I had to replace the center brace for the two drawers. Only after I had a friend attach a metal support to that brace did it stand up to what I consider a normal load.

The cost should have ensured that the plastic door would not break so easily and the drawers should definitely NOT be sticking. Only negative is that the butter plastic door was cracked within a year and the veggie drawers don't go in/out as smoothly as they used to, they sometimes stick. Other than that, I love the KitchenAid product line.

I purchased a five-door KitchenAid refrigerator model number KRMF706ESSOO that was delivered 9/23/16. The refrigerator's top right-hand door had rust on it & the ice maker did not worked at delivery nor the day after. The ice maker has been replaced 4 times and the water valve 3 times. Today is December 22nd 2016 and after seven attempts of the service techs that Whirlpool sent to make the repairs so that we can have ice we still have no ice. Because the water has always leaking out of the Chute of the ice makers, that they keep replacing and the water valves that they keep replacing won't seal at all where the two grommets are located the water continually leaks out around the grommets and tubes that supply water for drinking and ice for the ice maker.

I have to keep towels inside my refrigerator to collect to the water that comes through the vent holes and drips on the shelves inside the refrigerator or choose to turn the water off completely to the refrigerator. Therefore not being able to have filtered water (because of the seriousness of the defects we turned the water off today to the refrigerator). The repairman had to replace the electronic control board on the drawer that has the temperature selection for your meats, cheese, etcetera because the water linkage shorted out the control panel. The water leakage at the top is so heavy that the 4 light panels were fill with water. Today when the technician took the panel off, it took three full-size bath towels to clean up the water mess. My husband and I are exhausted worrying about the refrigerator electrically shorting out.

We feel like KitchenAid company is guilty of neglect & have a defective product and unsatisfactory service technicians that they have certified and require you to use. The tech today a new company that repairs refrigerators (not the company that KitchenAid originally schedule the repairs & said that we had to use) told us that there is a manufacturer defect & there's a aftermarket kit that has to be put on this model refrigerator in order for the ice maker to work and make ice and prevent the water from leaking out of the front of the ice maker. First of all they have to put a defrost element on our ice maker!!! Can you believe that? When the tech took the back of the refrigerator off there was solid wall of ice so now we have to have a defroster on the icemaker.

Next the temperature has to be below 37 degrees in order for the ice maker to work; therefore, and aftermarket installation add-on kit to keep the cold air inside the refrigerator compartment has to be ordered and installed. The repair technician showed us at the back of the refrigerator where the cold air is leaking out at the back of the refrigerator that we never noticed before or would have considered a manufacture defect and design flaw; we were just dumbfounded at the amount of air leakage out of the refrigerator compartment to the outside of the refrigerator. There should be a class action suit against this FOR PROFIT (in my personal opinion only) driven company that would put their customers /consumers through this. Greed is rampant. We've spoken with the supervisor at KitchenAid (after not getting any satisfaction from the call center customer complaint center).

We were told that KitchenAid makes NO lemons NOR defective products. KitchenAid MAY be in complete denial or must have a phone script that they are required to read from. They voice record every conversation for their benefit. To collect all the facts and then deliver the same tired phrases "We're not going to do anything other than to replace parts." The food that I have lost they're not replacing. The seven or eight days of missed work (that I didn't get paid for) too bad there's no compensation. The time I've spent complaining taking pictures and documenting the neglect and defects and telling them has been in vain because they keep saying your only option is for us to keep sending repairmen and replacing parts; we're sorry you're having a problem.

Well if you're sorry make a decent product that people do not have to go through hell after they've spent a fortune purchasing their brand refrigerator. My money is now in KitchenAid pocket and they refused to replace my lemon refrigerator nor give me customer satisfaction thus far. I will have to keep taking off work and work with repairmen unless I resort to hire an attorney to save myself time and aggravation. I've asked them to give me a new refrigerator and they won't do it.

Just had my 6th service call in a year and a half to repair the ice maker. Because it's now out of warranty every call is costing me $99.95 plus parts and labor. This is a $3000 refrigerator and works far worse than the $600 one in my garage. KitchenAid refuses to do anything to assist so I am pursuing lemon laws.

We bought all new appliances for our lake house from the same company we had bought appliances for our primary home (and NO it was not from a big box store but a legitimate appliance company). In 2013 we purchased KitchenAid refrigerator, dishwasher, double oven, range, microwave. The first season we had issues with the freezer draw icing shut and condensationing. Called the company. They came out and made some adjustments. Everything seemed ok. In 2014 we noticed the ice would work periodically, but then just started working. The range and microwave have never kept the correct clock time. Then late summer about a month prior to shutting the house down for the season. The freezer just stopped working.

Then wishing 14 days the refrigerator stopped working. Being the end of the season, we emptied the appliance. I have called the company that we had purchased the appliances from (which had went bankrupt and was purchased by another vendor). I have yet to receive a call from the vendor. Know I'm stuck on an island and trying to find an appliance company to hopefully repair my 3-year-old refrigerator. Unless the appliance can be repaired reasonably soon and at a fair cost I would never purchase or recommend KitchenAid appliances again.

Background: Purchased $6500 of appliances in November of 2010. Refrigerator, Oven/Cooktop combo, Dishwasher, and cabinet mounted Microwave. The only one we've not had issues with is the Microwave. Let's work in the order they are listed: 1> Refrigerator, YEAR 2 >> Freezer door would not properly close. 2 service calls later issue "fixed". YEAR 5 >> Out of Warranty. Defroster drain line plugged with ice leaving the interior of the freezer coated in ice and the automatic defroster in operable. Went online, researched the issue and cleared the blockage after two hours of work. Year 6 >> Louder than usual noise when compressor running.

Called my Appliance Technician, of thirty Years. Diagnosis issue as one or more bad springs in the compressor, allowing compressor rotor to contact the compressor housing. Contacted KitchenAid, explained the issue. Set up an appointment for the AM, two days later. Next day received phone call from the assigned Appliance Repair service saying they had an appointment scheduled for the PM next day. I explained I was told the appointment was for AM. They said no. They made it for the PM. Okay, right hand doesn't know what the left hand's doing.

Was also informed there would be a $109.00 service fee for coming out to diagnose the problem. Told them what my Technician had diagnosed. Said they would have to look at it. I asked how much the repair would be if it was compressor. They told me it would be a flat fee and wouldn't be able to quote me an estimate until THEY diagnosed the problem. I asked if the service call fee would be applied to the cost of the labor. They said no, it would be in addition to the labor.

Called KitchenAid again. Asked if the parts could be sent to my Appliance Repair Technician? They said no, they could only be sent to a certified Appliance repair shop. KitchenAid's definition of a certified shop is one that has a contract with them. Anyway. No other options, called Payless Appliance back and kept the appointment.

Technician arrives, listens for the noise, He said the compressor was running and the only noise he could hear was coming from flap/door that allowed Freezer air into the Refrigerator to keep the Refrigerator at the correct temperature. I told him that the noise he was hearing was not the same rattling I would hear when the compressor was running. He said the compressor was running and that was the only noise coming from the unit. During the diagnosis process the Technician opens the Freezer drawer and says it's not adjusted properly, and that's most likely what's causing the ice build up in the freezer. He adjusted the drawer. $109.00 later, Freezer drawer is more difficult to open and close and the noise is still there. I inquired if there would be another service call fee when the noise returned. He said, yes, there probably would be since the only thing he could hear was that door/flap noise.

Dishwasher: Year 4 > Out Of Warranty. Control Panel starts flashing codes. Called my usual Appliance Tech. He diagnosed the issue as a defective heating coil. Ordered the part and called me when it arrived and was able install it the same. When I ask for a bill, He quoted me the cost and told me to use the Dishwasher for few days to make sure that took care of the issue.

Oven: Year 1 >> Under Warranty. Cooking dinner, and the oven starting flashing an over heat error message. Attempted to the oven off, but no controls worked. Checked the trouble shooting section of the owners manual and still nothing worked. Not sure if the oven was still on, I shut off the power at the circuit breaker, waited an hour and turned the power back on. Unknown what the issue was but it has not happened again. Bottom line: $6500.00 worth of Appliances and only one of four has been without issues. Will never purchase another KitchenAid, Whirlpool or any other Appliance made by that group.

Spent $3200+ on a KitchenAid Refrigerator model KRMF606ESS00 about a year ago. We've had nothing but problems since we got it. The ice/water dispenser would stick "open" and we'd end up with water and ice on the floor. The tech that came out to fix it said that there's a known "delay" between the ice/water paddle dispenser and the computer that tells the refrigerator to dispense the water. He did replace the unit because it was sticking as well as the delay. This helped. Would have been nice to know this before ordering the refrigerator. Shortly after that was fixed we noticed that our food was spoiling prematurely and the refrigerator seemed warm. I bought a thermometer and found out that the inside of the refrigerator was around 46-48 degrees when it was set to 33. This time the tech that came out said that the paddles weren't opening to allow cold air into the refrigerator. Fine.

Ordered a part that came in in a few days and installed it. The tech cleaned out pounds of ice that had built up in the back of the unit between the fridge and the freezer when he installed this part. Because of this, all seemed well for a week or 2 until the thermometer started climbing up again. However, this did not fix the problem. This time the tech that came out said it was a gas solenoid that needed to be ordered - something about the coolant not distributing properly between the freezer and fridge. He said it would be a few days to order the part. Five days later I call the repair people again and they said they had to order the part from the manufacturer and it would still be another week or 2. Um HELLO we have spoiled food here and it is the week before Christmas. "Nothing we can do ma'am. We can overnight the part for $100. Call the manufacturer to see if they can do anything."

Called the manufacturer WHIRLPOOL who proceeded tell me that there's nothing they could do - they got the order for the part - it IS IN STOCK but they haven't shipped it yet. "Well, can you overnight it?" "That is not our policy ma'am." "What? Why not? Can I talk to your supervisor?" "No ma'am, that is not our policy. I can email my supervisor and they will get back to you in 24-48 hours." "Are you kidding me?? You don't have a supervisor?" "That is not our policy ma'am." If he called me ma'am one more time I would have jumped through the phone. So basically, screw you, customer. We're not helping you and don't care if your food is spoiling. Oh, but we're happy to take your $100+ per year to extend your warranty on this piece of crap. DON'T BUY KITCHENAID IF YOU WANT GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE. THEY ARE THE WORST.

Ordered a KitchenAid refrigerator KRM706ESS01 just over a month ago. The refrigerator stopped working on Sunday the 20th and did not see a "technician" until the 23rd. The technician came to the house and told us we needed a part to repair which will not be delivered until the 31st and who knows when the technician will conveniently show up. Now we are out $1000 of Thanksgiving food for 18 people at my house and KitchenAid/Whirlpool offered $100 for the inconvenience, right!! I spent over 2 hours on hold waiting to talk to someone who could actually do something and when I finally was able to speak to someone they were of no help (Tim #**). Looks as though we will be out of a refrigerator for the foreseeable future. I will never buy a KitchenAid product again and will do everything in my power to spread the word of a terrible product/customer service.

Purchased KitchenAid refrigerator from Appliance Smart in Cumming, GA 2014. After one year and a day after purchase, ice maker and freeze stopped working. Called KitchenAid and could not get any help, had to pay 300 for extended warranty. Now one year later, the exact same problem has occurred, no ice and freeze has malfunctioned. KitchenAid refrigerators are awful and customer care gets a ZERO.

Regarding our 42" side by side built-in fridge. After some years it starting making some serious loud noises. Finally the fridge gave out. Repairman said he thought the motherboard had gone. OK, fair enough... just order another motherboard, right? My repairman could not find a motherboard in Canada or in the USA. It had to be order through Kitchenaid... but no problem, right?? The company is American, right??? Not so fast.

The initial timeline was 4 weeks (which is bad enough) but in the end IT WAS 4 MONTHS!!! During this time I called Kitchenaid more than once to find out where my motherboard was. They could not, or would not give me a straight answer as to any timeline to expect it. My thinking was that it was somewhere in China being created. Thank God we had another fridge in the garage but I have learned my lesson. NEVER, NEVER never will I purchase another Whirlpool product ever again!!! You would think when you pay $10,000 for a fridge a better repair experience would follow. Clearly Whirlpool doesn't give a crap. STEER CLEAR, PEOPLE!!!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

KitchenAid is an American home appliance brand owned by Whirlpool. The company began in 1919, and it makes a variety of refrigerator sizes and styles.

• Variety: KitchenAid makes refrigerators with a range of different features, such as climate control, intuitive controls, spill-resistant glass and more.
  • Price: KitchenAid offers a range of prices so that customers can find the model they are looking for within the price range they want.
  • Features: KitchenAid's fridges come with many features, such as icemakers, French doors, side-by-side doors and bottom freezers.
  • Availability: It's easy to find KitchenAid's products at many retail stores, as well as on its website.
  • Free delivery service: KitchenAid will deliver your refrigerator to your house at no charge and install it for you.
  • Best for Homeowners and college students looking for a basic fridge.

Compare Refrigerators