KitchenAid Refrigerators
  • 1 star
Based on 91 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

KitchenAid Refrigerators

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 5, 2017

825 KitchenAid Refrigerators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

We originally notified KitchenAid's warranty department on or around 11/16/2017 about our refrigerator (KRFC704FPSoo) not cooling adequately and making a loud shrill noise. We were told that the service company (Authorized Service, Inc.) would be here on 11/17/2017. We were contacted on 11/17/2017 by the service repair company that they could not come until 11/20/2017. On 11/20/2017 the repair company showed up and told us that the compressor needed to be replaced and that it would take approximately a week for the parts to come in. On 11/28/2017 the repair company revisited and this time informed us that the problem was not the compressor and that the problem was a temperature sensor/regulator and that they would expedite ordering the replacement parts. After the repair company left, they later called and confirmed that they had ordered the parts.

I again notified the KitchenAid warranty department on 12/2/2017 and expressed our concerns regarding our warranty service and they started passing us around from department to department offering no help with our problem. On 12/4/2017 I contacted the repair company and informed them that we had not received the supposedly expedited repair parts and they informed me that they were scheduled to be here on 12/5/2017. When no repair parts were received on 12/5/2017 we again contacted the repair company and this time they informed us that the repair parts were ordered late afternoon on 12/4/2017. We were told to expect the parts to arrive on 12/6/2017. We later received another call from the repair company explaining that the repair parts would not be here until 12/7/2017.

During this process we also contacted Home Depot (where we purchased the refrigerator) on 12/2/2017 and spoke with someone in their appliance department and explained our problems and concerns with the Kitchenaid warranty service. The lady I spoke with told me that she would get in touch with Kitchenaid and she would see if she could find out what was going on and get back with us on 12/4/2017. She also mentioned that she would explain our situation with her associate manager.

Since I did not hear from anyone from Home Depot on 12/4/2017, I again contacted the appliance department and was informed that they could not help me. In the meantime we still are without the use of our refrigerator and it is now leaking water onto our new hardwood floors which I assume is being caused by the compressor freezing up and then thawing. This started happening on 12/2/2017 and was told to KitchenAid, Home Depot and the service repair company. After all that has happened with this refrigerator and the service supplied by all parties involved, KitchenAid, Authorized Service, Inc. and Home Depot, I would advise anyone to look elsewhere for their appliance needs.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Bought KRFF507ESS01 French Door Bottom Freezer. Has continued cooling issues since product was 6 month old. Now we are in the extended warranty and it's worse than you can imagine. I have been 4 weeks with use of product waiting on parts. KitchenAid does not care, AIG does not care. I would caution anyone interested in their product, and service. STAY AWAY FROM KitchenAid at all cost.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

We have a (just barely) 3 year old KitchenAid refrigerator/freezer that has been very troublesome. First the ice maker was replaced; then the entire front door of the freezer had to be replaced because it had NO insulation; and now the top shelf in the freezer just exploded as I opened the door. There were only 4 small items on the exploding shelf so it was not too full.

When I call the customer service number I waited over 20 minutes to speak with a real person who took down info and then transferred me to another person for whom I had to wait another 10 minutes. I explained that it was like a shot -- a boom sound and then tons of small pieces of tempered glass all over me, my kitchen, and into the adjoining office area next to the kitchen. KitchenAid response was that these "things can happen" -- seriously??? Waiting to receive a replacement shelf and waiting for a supervisor with customer relations skills to call me back.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I purchased refrigerator on 11/24/15 but due to salesman errors, I did not receive it until February 2, 2016. On July 26, 2016, I noticed the freezer door had ice on it and it had a popping noise in it. I called and serviceman came out and said he had to order new ice maker and replace the door because it had warped and he could not do anything about the popping noise. On October 3, 2016, the door and ice maker was replaced. On October 27, 2017, the door had ice on it again and noise was still there. I had a certified repairman come in and he said the freezer door on refrigerator is warped again. There has to be some reason for this to be continuing! I am not a HAPPY CUSTOMER.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Purchased subject refrigerator in May, 2009 from Sears for $1,650. Over last several years several parts have fallen off - interior light cover, crisp cover, freezer drawer handle. Last week we came home from vacation to find temperatures in freezer compartment above 50 degrees and in refrigerator above 60 degrees. Probably $2-300 of food ruined.

I scheduled service call through the KitchenAid website. Service rep came out, pulled refrigerator from the wall, pulled off the back panel, and announced that a copper cooling tube had cracked... leading to loss of refrigerant and failure of the compressor. As a KitchenAid authorized repair provider... he could get the ~$400 cost of the compressor covered under warranty. I would have to pay, however, $99 for service call plus another $650 for 2 hours of labor.

The repair tech explained that a design flaw placed the copper tubing in the drain pan area exposing it to continual moisture and heat ultimately eroding the tube until it cracked. I don't think failure of the compressor at 8.5 yrs is reasonable. My appeal to KitchenAid fell on silent ears. In addition to the poor durability... I suspect there is some collusion between KitchenAid and the authorized repair service organizations. $650 seems excessive for 2 hours labor. Guess if I have to use an authorized service to get warranty coverage of the part I don't really have much choice.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KitchenAid?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

We have had the KitchenAid refrigerator for 4 years now, lost over $2000 in food, 12 repair visits so far and we just called for another, and they just don't care. Fortunately we bought the extended warranty but that will be up soon. They should NOT be allowed to manufacture refrigerators. What a way to run a company, they won't even call me back and only an e-mail refusing to anything. Buyers beware.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

On the Kitchenaid website under reviews there are A LOT of complaints about this problem. After a 53 minute phone call today with Kitchenaid they admit there is a quality issue and we have to replace the trap drain tube kit. They will furnish the kit but we have to pay the labor to replace it. Of course it is on backorder with no date as to when it will be available. Why do we have to pay when they know there is a problem? We will have puddles on the floor if I don't chip the ice out of the freezer floor every 2 days. We just thought it was ours until I found the complaints/reviews on the Kitchenaid website. We bought the refrigerator (KBFS20EVWH10) 6/22/2013.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

My parents bought this French door refrigerator Model # KRFC704FPS00 3 months ago (July 2017) from Sears in Cerritos. They paid a lot of money for this fridge. We called Sears first but because there’s no extended warranty, they don’t wanna schedule a service. Assistant Manager tried to help but that went down the drain. At first, it was making little to no ice then ice build up on the bottom drawer then few days after it was making this loud sound and not cooling anymore.

I called, emailed, left messages through their website. No response. Posted on their FB wall. Responded so fast. Technicians scheduled, came and told my mom to go to Sears. Called Sears told me to contact Kitchenaid. Get the drift. Scheduled for repairs then days came near the technician reschedules. This is unscrupulous, delaying tactic that this company is doing. My mom’s health is at stake because she is taking insulin. Is there a way to help us just get a new refrigerator and get my parents money back? Please help.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Purchased a KitchenAid refrigerator to replace my ten year old Kenmore. Model is KRFF300ESS. After a few months...noticed spots of rust on the stainless steel. Called KitchenAid...and they replaced the doors. After ten days of having the new doors installed, I can see rust forming on the steel again! I never even touched them with any sort of cleaner at all! Their customer service experience has been the worst. They keep promising they'll resolve the issue but never follow through. At this point they're blaming me. Very disappointed in the construction of the product and their customer service. I've owned multiple competing brands of appliances and other stainless steel products in my kitchen and have never experienced this. I can't in good conscience recommend KitchenAid refrigerators.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

We bought this refrigerator from our builder, Pulte Homes in 08/2017. It is model number KRFC604FSS00. Do not buy this or any other Kitchen Aid product. Every single person in our development is having the same problems with their ice makers. Kitchen Aid is owned by Whirlpool. They put you on hold for 45 minutes before they pick up the phone to schedule a warranty person to come out. The service company that they used had to ask me how to turn the ice maker on and off. They are completely inept, it's been over a month with a broken product and Whirlpool could care less. So if you want to do yourself a favor, buy a GE... they are a superior product and not absolute crap like Kitchen Aid.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

In April 2015 I purchased dishwasher, stove and refrigerator all KitchenAid thinking it was the best. Working condition everything is okay. A month ago I was cleaning the appliance when I saw rust under the stainless coating on the refrigerator. Stove and dishwasher are okay. I called the service, they came to see. They charged me $100 for coming. They said it would cost me $1600 to replace all three doors and there was no explanation why this problem occurred. I would like to know if it happen to someone other.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I have KitchenAid Refrigerator KFIV29PCMS/01 Serial K33102532 (Less than 2 years old). The unit wasn't cooling so we decided to call any service company to get it fixed. They found that there was a leak on the refrigerator evaporator. We tried to order the part but there was no record of the part number on the system, so we decided to call customer service and they told us that that part was not serviceable so we ask them to talk to a supervisor for an advice because we don't want to dump a refrigerator that was barely new.

Finally they had someone from the service depart. calling and telling us that of course the unit can be service but it has to be service by them, because they warranty the sealed system for several years and that was part of the sealed system. They got all my info. Never heard from then. I tried to call back many times to find out for a solution. They make you wait...

Then I tried the call me back option and yes they call you back and then they make you wait... and then they redirect your call and then they make you wait... and they redirect your call again. Conclusion I'm stucked with a new broken refrigerator. They won't let you solved the problem not even if you pay for it and they don't freaking care. Really sad for such a big corporation.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

In May of 2017 my husband and I moved in to our newly built home. We purchased KitchenAid appliances. A dishwasher, a refrigerator and a stove. Shortly after they arrived I noticed that there were dents in the freezer door. They came to replace it. Then we noticed rust forming on the outside of the refrigerator. We had someone come and check it out. He told me to polish it more. That didn't change it in anyway. He came back out and said they will replace the doors.

They ordered new ones. In the interim the new freezer door was getting rust on it. Then the compressor and the thermostat went out. They came to fix that problem. Now we are getting new doors and then they need to replace the freezer door. Now after all of this, the dishwasher is rusting. Our KitchenAid appliances have only been in our house for 4 and half months. I called the company, I called the place where we purchased them to replace them to no avail. We need help. We spent our hard earned money on a faulty product.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I purchased a stainless steel french door Kitchenaid refrigerator. This has been the worst purchase of my life. This refrigerator is on the blink constantly. It gets caked up with ice behind the meat drawer constantly. It also does not stay cold enough and the food molds before we can eat it. This is the worst piece of crap I have ever purchased and I am constantly paying someone to look at it. As of yet no repairman has been able to tell me why ice gets caked up inside of it.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

KitchenAid french door Refrigerator model KFCS22EVMS cost $2400 plus tax Feb 2010. The compressor died after 7 1/2 years. Serviceman said to not repair but to buy a new fridge. This refrigerator should last more than 7 1/2 years.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

We originally bought all KitchenAid products because they were suppose to be superior compared to other brands at the time. We also took into consideration that the warranty was suppose to be better than the rest. We recently had issues with ice building up under bottom of freezer causing water to leak onto our floor. We contacted KitchenAid and they wouldn't send someone out unless we paid $100 for them to look at it. They sent a guy out and fixed a plastic piece which was the problem (but of course wasn't under warranty either). So now we are left with a wrecked cork floor and a bill for $170. Won't be buying another KitchenAid product again. Thanks KitchenAid.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I replaced the defective control board W10219463 on my 10 year old Kitchen-Aid 42" built-in refrigerator KSSC42QMS01 with a new "Service Kit" W10818296 which included a new control panel which has 8 wired connectors coming out of a new metal box. To install just remove the connectors from the old control box and trash the metal enclosure and circuit board. Install the new control box and plug the new connectors into the old ones that came from the old circuit board. Each of the 8 connectors from the new control board and the 8 connectors that were removed from the old board are matching, just plug in the connectors as they fit no need to label first.

The new control board has 2 circuit boards instead of one and it looks like the relays and capacitors which fail on the old boards are larger and more robust. I bought the service kit from Sears which took 3 days, and paid $350.00 which included a 2 year warranty. The replacement cost for this model is around $8,000 and I suspect it won't be the last part I purchase for this refrigerator.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

We bought all new appliances 4 years ago. The salesman at the appliance store said KitchenAid was the best. Well apparently he must get a kickback from them because nothing could be further from the truth. In fact the KF1S29BBMS00 french door refrigerator actually sucks! Shortly after we had it the freezer stopped freezing. At least this was covered by a recall. Now, the unit is 4 years old, the ice maker stops working. We called the repair place and they came out and very cavalierly said, "Oh yeah there is a service bulletin on this. You need an add on kit to stop the unit from freezing up."

OK to my thinking service bulletin is an admission of wrongdoing. Poor design in the first place. So since the unit is out of warranty and we chose not to pay for a ripoff extended warranty we have to pay over $430 to fix what was not designed right in the first place! How can this be our fault? Why would we need a warranty to cover a design flaw? Now while waiting for the repair person to come back with the part that they had to order the drawer in the freezer will not freeze. The lower main compartment is fine but the door will not freeze. DO NOT BUY A KITCHENAID APPLIANCE. Their poor design and engineering becomes your problem.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

First Maintenance Visit: First repair service call was on July 24, 2017. The maintenance service came by, looked at the refrigerator, and said they would need to replace the control board and the evaporator coil (I think). We scheduled a new appointment for this maintenance. For the interim, we put plastic under the fridge to try to protect the wood floor from the water leakage. Soon after the first maintenance call, the refrigerator stopped holding temperature set point and was elevated at ~53F. The freezer was fine, but we lost most of the food from the refrigerator. At that time we also recall noticing frozen coils in the refrigerator, but we are not sure of the significance.

Second Maintenance Visit: On August 2, 2017, the maintenance technician came and replaced the control board and evaporator coil. We assumed that the cause was addressed and that the refrigerator would properly work again. We checked for water leakage during the next couple of days and saw none. With these indications, we thought the repair addressed our issue so we removed the plastic under the refrigerator. At some point during the week of August 27, 2017 the power blipped off and on that we recall.

However, we noticed that the refrigerator did not come back on. We pulled the fridge out away from the wall and found a large amount of water underneath. Worse, we found warped wood and MOLD on the wood surfaces. It was obvious that water from the refrigerator had been leaking undetected for a while. So once again, the same water leakage and inadequate refrigerator operation had returned. We called Whirlpool and ASI yet again.

Third Maintenance Visit: A technician came out again (sometime during the week of August 28, 2017) and this time said that we needed to replace the compressor. So we once again put down plastic under the refrigerator and had to wipe up water every day and night to avoid water impacting larger sections of our brand new wood floor. We scheduled an appointment for September 7, 2017 to replace the compressor.

Fourth Maintenance Visit: Cancelled. ASI called me and said that due to the Harvey storm, UPS was behind schedule, and the compressor would not be available for the September 7, 2017 appointment. Sometime around September 11, 2017 I called ASI to check on the status of the compressor shipment. They told me that the part was available and the technician could come on September 13, 2017. By this time the refrigerator had once again stopped working. But we continued to move the refrigerator twice a day in order to clean up water accumulating under the refrigerator.

Fourth Maintenance Visit - Rescheduled. The technician came on September 13, 2017. In a change to what we understood as the next step from the last service call, he did not replace the compressor. He said that he received an email telling him that other units were found to be overcharged with refrigerant and that the dryer needed to be replaced. He made those changes. The fridge never cooled down below ~60 F, even after those changes. Water was still leaking and accumulating underneath the refrigerator.

We called ASI again on September 14, 2017 because the fridge was not working and still leaking water. They said they would try to come that day if they could fit us in their schedule, but never came. On the morning of September 15, 2017 we found water all over the floor and down the front of the refrigerator. The freezer (which we thought had been working) had now also totally gone out. The refrigerator was not cooling anything at all. So we deduced that the ice makers ice melted and made a mess in front, along with the normal mess of water underneath the fridge.

Fifth Maintenance Visit: The technician came on the morning of September 15, 2017 and was accompanied with another technician. They recharged the refrigerant and assured us that everything would be fine. On the evening of September 15, 2017, the refrigerator is still leaking water and not cooling below 60F.

The cumulative impacts of the malfunctioning refrigerator: Damaged/mold on wood floors, loss of food in refrigerators twice, loss of food in freezer once.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Purchased Refrigerator model #KSC2418EYYO2 less than 5 years ago. Nothing but problems. Had Ice maker fixed 4 times, Finally replaced door to fix problem. The door they fixed was bowed and could not be used. Shipped a new door, problem was repaired then the ice maker stopped working again. Finally they replaced the entire refrigerator. About 6 months ago the ice maker stopped working. Service was called and no problem was found and it started working again. Last month water started leaking out from the bottom. Service was called. Had to wait about a week for the part to come in. Problem was fixed. Now it is leaking again.

Meanwhile, brand new kitchen hardwood floor was ruts in it from rolling out the fridge back and forth. And damage is appearing under the unit because of standing water. Between both fridges service was made at least 10 times and it just keeps going. Called KitchenAid direct and received 0 help. Told them I don't trust this machine and want it out, but their answer was, "We dont do that." They did offer a discount on another KitchenAid machine but the last thing I need is another machine from them. STAY AWAY from all KitchenAid appliances. They don't work and their company does not stand behind them and turn their back on you. I only wish that I can give them less than 1 star.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

Model #KRFF707ESS01 Seriel#K63621163 - In March of 2017 we remodeled our kitchen. We purchased KitchenAid appliances due to the new industrial type of handles. As soon as we hooked up the fridge the water/ice dispenser was not working. When you would press the ice water would come out. We placed a call to warranty, they came out and could not find the part - about 3 weeks later they show up and replace the front panel with an older style front panel as the part on my fridge was too new.

Then around a month later, the fridge starts making a horrible noise, we call. A company by the name of GGSL Appliance Repair (in Orange County California) comes out, the guy was very rude and you could tell he did not want to be there. He tells us we need to order our own part. He stated if he ordered the part it would take up to three weeks to get it in.

We do as asked and order the part, it arrived the next day. Once the part arrived we could get a hold of no one to install the part. They were ignoring all of our calls. (In the meantime KitchenAid is aware of this. We kept calling them as well.) Finally the part is put in place. Then within a couple weeks the fridge will not hold temperature, the fridge is sitting at 60 degrees. Anyone who knows anything about food handling knows that bacteria grows if a fridge runs anything over 39-40. I have to throw away tons of food and meat including my condiments.

I call KitchenAid complain my $3000 brand new fridge has broken THREE times now and they tell me someone will come out the next day. The company they then hired called and said, "No. I am sorry we cannot come until Monday" (even though my fridge is at 60 degree's). That day I call KitchenAid/Whirlpool and get an email to a clevland_resources@whirlpool.com. I email him as well as show him all my notes and receipt for the purchase of the part that should have been covered under warranty that was on 09/06/17 and he has not responded.

The fridge repair people were at my house today and still not fridge (have to order the part). I asked how long they said they do not know because they need approval from warranty to order the part. My fridge is obviously a lemon at 3K and they don't care to do anything about it. I am beyond frustrated and want to warn others about the products and services they offer. I would have never bought this product had I known the outcome. Poor products, poor customer service.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I bought this KitchenAid Refrigerator in February 2017 for almost 8000 dollars. I had my first problem in April. My food was freezing in my refrigerator. When the Technician came he said that the temperature board has a defect and needs to be changed. The same problem occurred in August and after having the Technician come to my house 6 times and changed couple things I called customer service to find a solution. They said that they will send another technician for a second opinion and that he needs to call their tech line and document the problem and they will replace my refrigerator after that. When the technician came and called and told them about the food in my freezer that is showing ice flakes because of the change of temperature they told him that this was normal and I need to vacuum my food and because the reading of the temperature was zero in the freezer and 37 in my fridge everything is running normal.

When I called customer service again they said that they are not technicians. They need to send another one over and when I asked what is next step they said they can't give me an answer. The temperature change on its own. Sometimes it goes to -18 in my freezer sometimes to 32 in my fridge and sometimes 55 and for them everything is running normal. I can't put any food in my fridge and I am stuck with this defected fridge because they refuse to replace it even if it is a 6 months old one. Please let me know what kind of company is this and what kind of product are they selling. Does anybody know of any way I can get this refrigerator replaced?

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

KitchenAid refrigerator model #KRFF507ESS01 defrost problems - Since purchasing the refrigerator I have had to have it defrosted four times. Every three to four months the fridge gets warm and the coils, fan and other components in the fridge get completely covered in a block of ice. Two service calls were made while the fridge was under warranty. The technician that came replaced a thermostat, but also said that he didn’t feel it would fix the problem and that it would happen again. In fact, it has happened twice since. KitchenAid refuses to do anything about this. My background is in engineering and product development and I must say that the design of this fridge is suspect. The use of a very low quality fan, no defrosting heater and some very cheap packing Styrofoam as part of the air routing system is very suspect in my opinion. It does not appear to be properly engineered.

We are also experiencing some cosmetic degradation at the front of the water / ice serving area. We called on this also and KitchenAid sent us a replacement piece, which has already started to degrade since it was replaced. We purchased this refrigerator along with a gas stove top, convection microwave, oven, dishwasher and trash compactor. This was almost $11,000 in products from KitchenAid. We are very unhappy with the refrigerator since it will likely require regular defrosting for the rest of its life. The fridge is out of warranty, but this problem happened while in warranty and is in your records. We would very much a response from KitchenAid that include either fixing the problem once and for all or a replacement of the refrigerator with one that has the problem solved. It is not acceptable to sell a product like this.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

On June 23, 2017 we purchased a French door countertop model refrigerator made by KitchenAid. In early August the refrigerator portion stopped working. On August 15 I called and reported the problem. They were not able to get a service rep out for another week. When he came out he said that it was a well known problem but had to send away for parts. My husband asked if there was a service bulletin for this defect and he said "yes". I am still waiting for the parts. I have been without a working refrigerator for nearly three weeks.

Since this was a problem that was known to the manufacturer, I am angry that they did not address this in a more timely fashion. There was no effort to have the parts available to the repair services, no offer of refrigeration in the interim and no compensation for the loss of food. We are fortunate, to dare, to have no food poisoning due to lack of refrigeration. I will never buy another KitchenAid or Westinghouse appliance again and I will continue to warn others away from this company that cares so little about the health and safety of its customers.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I bought this refrigerator in 2013 to replace a Superba Kitchenaid which I was very happy with. I loved the configuration of drawers, the french doors, the freezer with two shelves. It seemed very well thought-out design wise. I still love all these things. However, the most important thing a refrigerator and freezer can do is: keep refrigerator foods cold and keep frozen foods frozen. It also needs to be moderately quiet. One year ago we experienced problems with the ice maker and freezer. Unit began making a very very loud noise also. Over $500 later and a very unsatisfactory experience with A and E - will never use them again. There were multiple services calls which resulted in fees which they were supposed to reverse because of their error and they never did. A very frustrating experience.

The unit stopped making ice again a few months ago and began to buzz very loudly. We experimented with various things: keeping the top shelf of the fridge empty, moving things around in the freezer. We began making ice in ice trays and transferring the ice to the dispenser. It would make ice intermittently. Then we began to notice foods weren't frozen in the freezer. And the noise became Louder and louder and LOUDER. To the point I had to wear earplugs to bed. We are now working with a local company to see if their fixes work.

Time will tell. I can hardly believe how many people I've talked to have a similar story. It seems that refrigerators generally are junky. Something we all need. Yet they last 4 years? Our parents' refrigerators lasted decades... If anyone has a recommendation of a refrigerator that could last 10 years let me know - I'm pretty sure we will need to replace this 4 year old expensive model soon.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I am extremely disappointed and disgusted with KitchenAid's failure to stand by their product. I purchased a $3000 stainless steel fridge last year and my fridge is still under warranty, but because the rust is cosmetic, KitchenAid feels no obligation to stand by their expensive stainless steel product and I've been told that it is rust resistant, but not rust "proof".

They say all stainless steel can rust in certain environments. I have only used soap and water and never used a stainless steel cleaner or corrosive or abrasive product on the fridge and it is in my newly built and dry house. It is under a year old and I wonder what it'll look like in another year. Kitchenaid offered me the opportunity to extend my warranty for hundreds of dollars, but offered no repair or replacement of the rusting door panel I called them about. What kind of stainless steel exists? Low-quality stainless steel with impurities. My stainless steel Bosch range hasn't started rusting and I clean it constantly with various cleaners. Clearly KitchenAid's product is inferior and low quality.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Bought this refrigerator 6/13/12 after home power surge destroyed our other KitchenAid refrigerator Model KSC23C8EYY. We were very happy with the first one so decided to buy another, counter depth side by side. We had no problem the first year but shortly after the warranty expired, had an issue with hose connecting to freezer. After they realized it was a faulty part on the hose, they covered it. We have a wood floor in our kitchen so that also needed to be repaired. Thankfully, I decided to purchase the 5 year Extended Service Plan. We have used it three times, so far.

We discovered water accumulating in bottom portion of the refrigerator and called service plan. In April, 2017, had the drain unclogged in fresh food side. Today I pulled out bottom drawer to find the same thing happening. It also had a lot of black mold on side of drawers and refrigerator. (I took lots of pictures). I set up appointment to have repair service come out to fix clog and also to check on why mold is appearing (probably related). Extended Service plan seems very responsive so I would recommend purchasing it.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I bought the refrigerator Dec 2013 and it went out June 2017. I paid a Service guy to come and he informed me that the part had a 5 year warranty on it and I needed to contact KitchenAid. Due to the part being very expensive. I called KitchenAid and they sent someone out July 13, 2017. I had to pay another $84.00 for another service call. The service guy has been out 4 times to my house and the refrigerator is still not working. I have called KitchenAid Customer Service several times. Today when I called to complain again... I was told if I wanted to buy another refrigerator from them they would give me 20%-60% off a new one or they could set me up with another Service guy and they would waive the $84.00 Service call but I would have to pay the labor charge but they could not come out for another 5 days. I spoke with Dyondrea with the complaint department today. She could care less. I don't understand how they can stay in business.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I purchased my KitchenAid refrigerator (model krsf505ess00) in Feb of 2017. I was excited because I have always loved my dishwashers. Upon receiving it I noticed how rough the stainless finish was compared to dishwasher. So first problem is it is always streaked. I have purchased every stainless polish and cleaner in the market. It never looks clean. Help!!!

Second my cheese drawer/the finish is all coming off!!! Third- the shelve on door are adjustable but, only if you remove drawers/if you adjust them from the factory locations, they hit drawer fronts!!! Terrible design. So this is a huge disappointment. I will not recommend KitchenAid to anyone in the future. Wish I could replace this poorly made and designed product. It's almost as if it's disposable and KitchenAid wants us to buy a new one after 6 months.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

I have never written a review, but compelled to because my experience with KitchenAid has been so terrible. I wish it was possible to rate KitchenAid zero stars. I have had nothing but problems with my brand new KitchenAid refrigerator (model #krmf706ess01) since I purchased it in January of 2017. In the last 7 months I have had to call KitchenAid on numerous occasions. The first time I called regarding the freezer because it had completely frozen over - The drawers would not slide open/shut because it was frozen solid. There was blocks of ice everywhere and all of our food was freezer burned. A technician from one of their hired contractors came out to "fix" the problem and afterward instructed us to empty the freezer for 24 hours and everything would go back to normal. We did so - throwing away all of the freezer burned food which was probably close to $300 worth of food.

We refilled the freezer after that 24 hour period and the same thing happened again! Ruining all of my food again, and refreezing over again. At the same time, we began having problems with the water dispenser/ice maker leaking into the fridge. We called again and KitchenAid said they would send someone out. They scheduled the appointment for August 3rd - using the same repair contractor. I was given a 4 hour window meaning I had to stay home from work. August 3rd - nobody shows up or calls. I call Kitchen Aid to let them know that happened and after sitting on hold for 57 minutes, I was finally told that repair contractor needed to order a gasket and it would take 2-3 days to come in, but because of the inconvenience of nobody showing up, they would work with my schedule when rescheduling and give me a targeted time. Even though I complained about my food being ruined 2 times, nothing was done or said about that.

2-3 days then passes by and nobody from the repair contractor called. 4 days later, someone finally calls and said they had to also order an ice maker in addition to the gasket. They have not seen the leakage problem at this point, but they're ordering parts? Another 3 days passes and nobody called, so I called them. They let me know they had us scheduled for a technician to come out the next day. When was somebody going to tell me? They said they would "try" to get us a morning appointment. When I told them KitchenAid said they would work with my schedule, they just said they would try.

I immediately called KitchenAid, explained this whole fiasco all over again, and the customer service rep offered me a $125 gift card for the ruined food, and said to have the technician come out one more time, and if problems still persisted after that, they would give us the option to either replace the unit or choose another refrigerator. The next day the repair contractor came with no parts that they claimed they had ordered and were waiting on. The guy looked at the freezer, said "Wow that's really bad" and claimed we needed a new door, which Kitchen Aid would need to approve, and would take 4-6 weeks to come in. He looked at the ice maker and said he would take care of that another time.

I called Kitchen Aid immediately. The representative proceeded to tell me that they will not replace the refrigerator that their policy requires a certain amount of information and severity and our case does not qualify for a replacement as per their policy. He said the representative I already spoke to should have never promised me something that's not true. When I expressed my concerns - needing to miss work again, not being able to store food, having only $125 reimbursed even though I probably lost about $500 worth of food - his response was "I understand", but offered no real solution. The only option he gave me was to send someone from a different repair contractor for a second opinion.

So now I am left waiting on another appointment, with another technician, along with another day lost from work. The pictures I've attached don't even begin to show how terrible the freezer ended up getting - this only shows the beginning of the problem. I am unbelievably disappointed in the product and service. When you spend thousands of dollars on a new refrigerator, you expect it to work properly.

KitchenAid expert review by ConsumerAffairs

KitchenAid is an American home appliance brand owned by Whirlpool. The company began in 1919, and it makes a variety of refrigerator sizes and styles.

• Variety: KitchenAid makes refrigerators with a range of different features, such as climate control, intuitive controls, spill-resistant glass and more.

• Price: KitchenAid offers a range of prices so that customers can find the model they are looking for within the price range they want.

• Features: KitchenAid's fridges come with many features, such as icemakers, French doors, side-by-side doors and bottom freezers.

• Availability: It's easy to find KitchenAid's products at many retail stores, as well as on its website.

• Free delivery service: KitchenAid will deliver your refrigerator to your house at no charge and install it for you.

• Best for: Homeowners and college students looking for a basic fridge.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs