GE Refrigerators

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

About GE Refrigerators

GE appliances come with a traditional warranty, but the company also offers extended coverage with Bodewell Care Protection Plans. Backed by Assurant, GE’s authorized provider of extended warranties, these plans cover parts and labor for appliance repairs after the manufacturer’s warranty expires. You can pick and choose which appliances or systems to cover.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

GE Refrigerators Reviews

Stars Rating

• 100%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Service Contracts?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Service Contracts?
    Customer Service

Reviewed May 13, 2024

Purchased the 27 cu. ft. French Door refrigerator (Model #GNE27JYMFS) from a Big Box store. 4 days after delivery, the freezer stopped working, and fridge wasn't cooling as expected. A GE repair specialist came out and determined that it needed freon. Apparently it isn't entirely uncommon for the factory to fill them inadequately. So, after another 4 days, the freezer stopped working again. A second visit by the same GE repair specialist yielded a "non repairable" designation. We were instructed to call their Customer Service line again to schedule a replacement. We were then told that the model was not in stock at the regional warehouse and would be almost 4 weeks before it would be available. And, we needed to call back 10 days out to "order" one.

After a few days we called back to see if they could do better than that (second chances and all...). However, after spending yet another hour plus on the phone, we only learned that the new estimated availability was now another 5 days later. A "Customer Advocacy" supervisor spent a little time on the phone with me only to effectively tell me that this was the best they could do, take it or leave it. OR, I could take on the responsibility of contacting the retailer to see if they might have one in stock to do a "dealer credit" swap to get one to me sooner. This has only resulted in 4 more calls and still no resolution.

I wish I could say I am shocked at how terrible the customer service has been with GE. Unfortunately, I guess this is what we should expect these days. Apparently, Haier isn't concerned about the repetitional damage they have inflicted upon a once proud, American appliance manufacturer's name given that they are a Chinese firm. I would only caution against dealing with GE appliances as they are not at all concerned with customer satisfaction (or quality products, apparently). And, God forbid you get one of their lemons (as I did). They will not go out of their way to make it right. They will expect you to do ALL of the work to get a working appliance - hope you have lots of time and don't mind doing a lot of work on their behalf. Also, I wouldn't get rid of that old fridge until you can confirm that your new one will actually work.

Profile pic of the author.
    Customer ServicePricePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed May 10, 2024

To date I have had 6 service calls within 5 months of purchasing a GE refrigerator. The service technicians have been a circus. Each time another one shows up, they have no idea of the history of the problem. Customer relations is nothing but a robot spitting out circular comments that always lead back to yet another service appointment. I have now scheduled appointment number 7 to replace a part the last technician said should have been replaced on service call number one. They are a nightmare. Each time I schedule a service call I have to take off work, losing income, to wait in a 5 hour window. I have now lost more revenue Than the total cost of the refrigerator. I will never ever purchase another GE appliance.

Jennifer

I have had similar problems as yours. My 2 year old frig that had to have a new compressor in first week of ownership-died while we were out of town. Lost all in it and stunk up my whole house. Customer service is a joke - do not buy GE

Get buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Staff

Reviewed April 17, 2024

GE COUNTER TOP FRIDGE - Do NOT buy, complete junk. Extremely loud has a buzzing noise that I can hear in my bedroom that keeps me up at night. I had a service guy come out five times to fix it only to be told by the supervisor of GE there is nothing they will do. The inside refrigerator shelves are very flimsy and of course it’s half the size of a regular refrigerator. I brought it to the highest level Manager, with no resolution. My biggest mistake was not checking these consumer affairs for I would not have bought one. I also have GE washer and dryer that are complete junk. I will never buy anything from GE again.

Customer ServiceStaffReliability

Reviewed March 6, 2024

I'm approaching this from purely a factual standpoint. The facts in my situation speak for themselves - all my frustrations aside, this is absolutely the worst experience I've ever had with a fridge and a company. We purchased our GE Profile 27.9-cu ft Smart French Door Refrigerator with Ice Maker, water and Ice dispenser and Door within Door November 29th 2021. Nov 29th 2023 the fridge began to go out. The exact 2 year mark, this fridge was no longer functional. We attempted countless service visits from the store we purchased this fridge from and with each attempt, the fridge would fail in another way. The freezer was the first thing to go out and consistently the problem throughout the entire 3 month long journey to resolution. To this day, we still do not have a working fridge/freezer.

After the company admitted this was something they could no longer fix, they reached out to GE. GE is absolutely the worst company to deal with - they do not care one bit about taking care of you. Their customer service department gives you the run around, puts even their own service techs on hold for over 25 mins before assisting them for 2 mins, and will not provide any reasonable solution other than making you jump through all of their hoops. We had one of the rudest techs visit our house and complain almost the entire time he was in my kitchen. I have been more than patient living out of coolers with ice, making countless trips to the store to buy a little at a time, and trying to remain calm with the company as they work through each of the issues.

All in all, this is an unreliable fridge for the amount of money you're putting toward an appliance. The company highly recommends you purchase the extended warranty - my guess is they have no faith in their products. After order and shipping 9 parts to my house for the tech to repair, this was still a broken appliance. Wil never purchase another GE in my life.

Reviewed Feb. 24, 2024

I've owned the refrigerator for almost 3 months. The refrigerator is very noisy. It often sounds like someone is running a power washer inside my kitchen. I've had service personnel out three times. The second time it was quieted down. Unfortunately the freezer lights no longer work. It appears that they're having difficulty with the LED board. So I'm looking forward to a fourth visit. Meanwhile the refrigerator is still very noisy. It keeps me up at night. Also makes it impossible to have company. I would never buy another general electric appliance again.

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed Jan. 10, 2024

Purchased a GE Profile Refrigerator 16 months ago from Home Depot. Broke right before this past Thanksgiving. After 4 visits from an Assurant Tech and 7 weeks later, it is still not operational but maybe the 5th visit will do the trick! After reading the reviews on GE products on this site it appears we are far from alone. No more GE for us.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Jan. 2, 2024

I have only written a couple reviews in my entire life and felt compelled to inform everyone I can of how bad a product and how terrible the Customer Service is at GE so that I can help others in preventing them from purchasing a GE Product and experiencing what we have experienced as a result of a terrible appliance. The GE GE Profile - 27.9 Cu. Ft. 4-Door French Door Smart Refrigerator with Door-In-Door - Stainless Steel is the Worst Appliance I have ever purchased and worst company I have ever had to deal with for Customer service. I will NEVER buy another GE Product again based on the quality and the terrible customer service. I purchased the GE Profile 27.9 4 door refrigerator May 20, 2023 from Best Buy. This refrigerator went out beginning of August, 2023 (less than 3 months after purchase) and we lost over $200 of groceries.

It was easy to schedule a service call, however the first tech misdiagnosed the problem. The second tech / service call showed up and couldn't make the repair due to the mis-diagnoses and wrong parts being shipped. A third service call was set up after we waited over a month for the parts, then he found the problem to be completely different and went to his shop to get different parts and soldering equipment. I spent hours on phone calls and waiting on technicians trying to get it repaired. The repair was finally completed Oct 10, 2023.

Now December 12, 2023, the GE Refrigerator goes out again. Just spent another day waiting on a Technician on December 12, 2023, who now needs to come back January 5, 2024 after parts were ordered and delivered. Now I will have another wasted 1/2 - full day waiting on service to get my new refrigerator working again. I just spent another 1 hour and 6 minutes wasted on a phone call with another GE Customer Service person and told I need to wait on my repair - Meanwhile we still don't have a working refrigerator. All they want to do is send a small check to buy a mini fridge while we go through this again. I don't wish this on anybody and STRONGLY RECOMEND NOT BUYING ANY GE APPLIANCES based on the service and NOT standing behind their product.

Customer ServiceCoverageReliability

Reviewed Dec. 15, 2023

I do not usually write negative reviews because I prefer to approach life with a positive outlook. However, as an interior designer, I feel it's important to warn others that GE Appliances' Cafe line is aesthetically pleasing but highly unreliable. Despite their one-year warranty covering service and parts, the frequency at which their appliances break down is unacceptable. One of my clients has been experiencing issues with their Cafe French Door Freezer for the past six months, despite it being less than a year old.

The freezer has defrosted multiple times, which has caused the ice maker and water dispenser to stop working. Every time a GE technician would come to diagnose the problem, they would order parts and return two weeks later to fix it. And then, within a month, the freezer would break down again. According to GE's policy, if an appliance has been fully serviced/repaired four times, it will be deemed non-repairable and replaced with a new unit. A full-service repair is when a technician conducts a diagnostic check and then repairs the appliance. However, in this case, GE has sent technicians to my client's home several times too many for those diagnostic checks and completed at least four required full-service calls, including replacing crucial parts like freezer freon.

To provide some context, the freezer unit is less than a year old and has broken down for the fifth time after its fourth completed service repair by a GE technician just two weeks ago. When I scheduled the fourth repair for the end of November, the customer service representative extended our warranty for another nine months. She explained that given the rate of breakdowns, the freezer was likely to break again soon, so she wanted to ensure that we had no problems getting a full replacement when that happened.

Unfortunately, now that the freezer has broken down for the fifth time in less than a year, GE has denied a replacement after dozens of calls and several hours on the phone with their service department and customer relations. This is unacceptable. GE Appliances must be held accountable for their lack of product reliability and customer service. If you are considering purchasing from GE, save yourself time and money. The Cafe appliance line may look good, but it's not worth it!

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Oct. 23, 2023

In May of 2020 GE Monogram Customer relations offered to replace my 42" Monogram refrigerator which had a multi year history of defrost and evaporation cycle problems. This included ice buildup on the freezer wall and ceiling surrounding the fan causing extreme howling noise, inability to maintain temperature and water leakage onto my Kitchen wood floors that resulted in significant damage to the wood floors and cabinet. After many attempts by GE Factory service to resolve the problem they offered to replace the refrigerator with a new model if I agreed to pay approx $6,500. I agreed believing my Monogram problems were over. Within months Sept 2021 the new refrigerator had identical problems as the old. Water leaked again onto my wood floors and the fan motor became loud. GE factory service came out, same technician who worked on the old unit. He checked various component concluded the door seal may have been the cause.

January 2023, (yep) water leakage release onto the wood floor. Fortunately we were home and were able to prevent floor damage. Same GE factory rep came out and indicated that this model defrost and evaporation system had a high frequency of failure but his solution would solve the problem by plugging the hose that allowed the water to exit the unit. There has been no leakage since January but we have frequent intermittent hauling coming from the fan which is a indication that there is ice build up around the fan.

Since Sept this year a new GE factory service technician has attempted to resolve this issue. The previous technician had over 20 years experience. This technician joined GE approx one year ago and previously was a fire rescue medic. He made four attempts at resolving the problem ordering different parts only to find upon receipt that they were not for this model. He tried to receive guidance from GE engineering, their solution was to caulk two very small opening in the ceiling of the freezer fan compartment..

Since January of 2021 GE Monogram customer relations has sent me two letters extending the warranty for this refrigerator through May of 2024 for this problem. If it was to reoccur it would be repaired at no cost to me. They have not billed for any of these service calls. The day following the last service call, I received a letter from GE Monogram customer relations stating that my 3year old Monogram was NON REPAIRABLE, but they would give me a special 7 day offer to purchase a new refrigerator for $4,816.04. It is very clear to me that this model has inherent design flaws in the defrost and evaporation system. In regard to their offer for replacement they need to HONOR their commitment of warranty, starting perhaps by sending out a more experienced service tech.

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed Sept. 29, 2023

I purchased a GE (GFE28GYNGFS) fridge, before the 6 month mark, it stopped freezing, and it would not make ice. We had to wait an extensive amt of time for parts. Then after the CERTIFIED GE repair center fixed the freezer, the fridge part stopped cooling. The GE company sent out another tech, he "couldn't find anything wrong with it".. So they sent out ANOTHER tech. He said he fixed it, but it won't go below 47 degrees. Now we are out of our warranty period. GE refuses to fix or replace this fridge with a working one. I won't purchase another GE appliance again

GE Service Contracts author review by Sandy Baker

GE, or General Electric, is an American appliance manufacturer headquartered in Fairfield, Connecticut. The company ranks as the 26th largest firm in the United States, according to the Fortune 500.

• Energy efficiency: General Electric refrigerators are mostly Energy Star appliances, which means big savings for users and a 20 percent improvement over standard refrigerators.

• Features: GE refrigerators offer a number of unique features, such as digital water dispenser readouts and temperature-controlled drawers.

• Capacity: GE offers a wide range of storage capacities in its models, ranging from 4 cubic feet to more than 26 cubic feet.

• Styles: GE has many different styles of refrigerators, from bottom-door freezers to French doors and everything in between.

• Handicap accessible: Some of GE's fridges are designed to make them easier for handicapped people to use.

by Sandy Baker Contributing Writer

Sandy Baker has written for ConsumerAffairs since 2021. Along with the advice and information her articles provide to consumers, she’s written several books that focus on topics such as retirement planning, bankruptcy, business finance, estate planning and personal credit health.

GE Refrigerators Company Information