GE Refrigerators

Compare Refrigerators

Research top Refrigerators recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Refrigerator gaskets on the GE CAFE COUNTER DEPTH unit began to tear within 2 years. Now, 6 years later, the freezer door gasket has completely cracked all the way around. For the amount of money this unit cost (as well as the MICROWAVE and OVEN) I would NOT recommend buying these. Repair parts (and/or service calls) will cost almost as much as full replacements. Oven and burner knobs blister and flake. Microwave touch panel failed within 3 years.

In 2005 I lost my home to hurricane Katrina. I lived with my husband and son in a small Katrina trailer for 3 years while we rebuilt our home. When we moved into our new home on the 3rd anniversary of the storm, I was so proud to see my beautiful, spacious, modern kitchen with matching stainless GE Monogram appliances! The very first week, I gave a birthday party for my husband and the ice cream was melted. From then on, we've had nothing but trouble with the freezer – I just replaced the door gasket and now it doesn't have the suction it used to. Ice builds up on the ceiling. The refrigerator is just as bad. No matter what I do to clean it, mold builds up on the racks, the glass shelves, around the door and even on bottles of condiments. I've thrown hundreds of dollars of food away. The shelves and vent are rusting as well.

My gas cooktop no longer has writing on the knobs or the control panel. When the first knob broke – the shaft is made of plastic that shattered – I ordered a replacement that was ridiculously expensive. Now, the rest of the knobs are glued and taped together because they, too, broke. I loved the pop-up vent because cooktop is in the middle island and I didn't want a clunky top vent. It only worked correctly about a year, is incredibly difficult to clean, and even after replacing the switch, rarely works at all now. The control panel of my double oven started to buckle before it was a year old and the seal around the window somehow allows steam, food, and liquid to creep in between the glass.

I almost forgot... I also had the matching microwave, but it caught on fire and I threw it away before it was a year old. I've had some inexpensive "off-brand" a friend gave me ever since. Thank goodness we have a very good friend who owns an HVAC business! He's at our house often. He just shakes his head when we call. It makes me want to cry every time I walk in the kitchen. I will never buy another GE product, and I hope those who read this don't either. Let my misfortune be a warning to you.

On August 29, I purchased a brand new GE washing machine and dryer. They both worked great until after the 3rd time I used the washing machine. Suddenly, the machine will fill with water; however, the agitator will not turn, so now I have a swimming pool for my clothes. I called both Lowe's and GE and was directed to the customer relations department to open a case.

A technician was sent on 2 separate occasions to diagnose the problem. The first time the tech came, he deemed there was in fact a problem, so he ordered both a motor and a lid locking switch to try and fix the issue. The second time that he comes to my home, he realizes that he is unable to fix the machine even with the new parts. He runs a diagnostic test and tells me that he is going to mark the machine as "condemned," and he doesn't blame me if I contact the store directly. He also tells me that GE often prefers the tech to work on the issue in someone's house where they have access to water, instead of in the back of a store where there is no water hookup.

Guess what, I don't care that you don't have water access in the back of a store. For all I'm concerned, you can take this piece of crap machine and fill it with water from the Chattahoochee River because it's useless to me. I once again contact GE to discuss my options, and I'm told that they have to send a tech 3 times in order to move forward. RIDICULOUS!

Not to mention that every time you call GE you are on hold for over 45 minutes before anyone even answers the phone. I call after the tech leaves my house for the second time and am told they are going to order another part. Question: If they don't know what's wrong with the machine, who is it that determines what part is needed to fix this malfunction?

Also, I am told that whatever this part is, is on backorder until the 30th. That will be nearly a month without a functioning washing machine. I'm on hold with them right now again as I type this, only after they answered an hour after I dialed their 1-800 number. I flat out told them that I want them to send someone to my house to pick up this machine and replace it with something else.

I will not continue to stay home and have my time and money wasted when they don't even know the cause of the issue. I am transferred to someone in management after 4 requests and am told basically the same thing. I let the man know that I will be blasting on social media and I will NEVER again purchase another GE product, nor will I recommend anyone else do the same. Their customer service is beyond horrible. I also advised him that I will take this piece of crap washing machine and drive it through the front window of the store if I need to. Thank you GE for wasting my time for nearly a month.

Removing ice build-up in defrost drain. Ice builds up in defrost and drain tube freezes up. This 3-4 hour process involves pulling the refrigerator away from the wall and removing all food and removing the ice in the drain tube with boiling water and a turkey baster. Added the recommended baking soda mixture. This the fourth time. This action lasts a month. There seems to be thousands and thousands of owners with the same problem. Sign me up for a class action suit because of the failure of GE to notify the public of a problem and to recommend a solution to alleviate this problem. Many have reported that repairmen generally refuse to work on this product. Some owners have report the cost of the repair as much as $800. UPSET OWNER OF A GE REFRIGERATOR. Model GFSS6KKYCSS.

My wife and I purchased a GE Profile Refrigerator and 5-year protection plan from Home Depot in 2013. The refrigerator is wearing down rather quickly. Gaskets have been repair and the motherboard failed over a week ago. Regretfully, I am still waiting for parts and am going on two weeks without a refrigerator. It sad that a product that cost so much is made so poorly. I have had issues with my other Profile appliances as well. This extended warranty covered repair is rather costly for a family of five. Eating out is expensive. I wish I never bought your product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

I purchased the GE gne25jmkbfes in Sept from a local appliance store. Have had nothing but nightmares with this fridge. In less than a month I had 5 service calls, freezer not freezing, very loud cranky sound from fridge, and finally the most horrendous odor emitting from fridge that I can't stand to open the door. After the final service call the service tech from where I bought it (who by the way have been fantastic) called the owner who in turn called GE stating the unit was a lemon and needed to be replaced. They were more than willing to deliver the new fridge. However GE wanted to send one of their "own people" since the unit was bad. The contracted delivery people arrived today but would not remove old and bring new into our century home because door needed to be taken off hinges to get thru our door (even tho they said it was a 30in.). So they left with the replacement. I spent the rest of the afternoon trying to resolve this issue.

The end result being that none of "their delivery people" was willing to take off door to get fridge in the house but that they had spoken to the store I purchased from and they were willing to deliver it (they had ask to do the exchange in the first place). The kicker being that they couldn't get anyone out to the appliance store until next Tuesday...2 days before Thanksgiving. I argued with 2 different "customer care" people that it is insane that no deliveries could be made to AN APPLIANCE STORE for a week.

When ask to speak to someone above them as I believed I was due some compensation for the missed work and grief I have been through her response was "We are compensating you, we are exchanging the unit". Excuse me...you think that replacing a brand new defective piece of ** that I paid a lot of money for is compensating me. I have never in my life dealt with such rude uncaring customer service! Thank God I purchased an extended warranty from the wonderful local store I purchased it from. Looks like if I ever get this resolved. Lesson learned...GE makes junk!!!

I purchased Refrigerator top freezer GTR128SXABS in 2015. The refrigerator was just out of warranty and stopped cooling. I paid for a service call and was told the gas had to be filled. This was done and it worked for a couple of months. Two days ago - same problem - not cooling. Called a different company and was told that the gas is leaking. Because it is a closed unit they cannot get to the leak. Advised to trash it! Will not be buying GE again.

We purchased this GE Cafe refrigerator along with 6 other GE appliances for our new custom built home. They were recommended to us by our contractor. We purchased them in a local store. The GE Cafe has a leak-proof shelf installed that cannot be removed. This shelf is not leak proof. Within one year a substance leaked onto the shelf and seeped under the glass and between the frame. This cannot be cleaned, the shelf cannot be removed and GE wants $99 to come out to look at it and then charge for parts and labor if they can fix it. We were on hold for over an hour and had to call twice. You will see by the images that it is disgusting every time I open my refrigerator and embarrassing for guests to see it. I am not recommending this product or any other GE product due to the lousy customer service. How dare they charge to replace something that did not meet their promised standard after less than a year of usage.

GE fridge model # PNR22LSEBFES - bottom drawer freezer. Fridge is 2 years old. In June of this year the motherboard went. Food in fridge was lost. Woke up today and everything in fridge is frozen solid. I can play baseball with my fruit. Have a second warranty call going in. Thank god we bought the extended warranty. Zero compensation for my lost food though. This is becoming expensive. I contacted GE and they said there is nothing they can do as it is under an extended warranty. Please do not buy a GE fridge unless you're in the habit of throwing away good food. I just want people to be aware that this is not a quality product and GE apparently will do nothing.

GE 7 yr old 3 door ref. bottom freezer. Icemaker went out 2 months ago, one month late freezer out, one month later, refrigerator out. I had two very reparable repair men come out. 1st referred by Howards in Laguna Hills where I purchased it. 2nd referred by Sears. Both would not work on it because the parts are Samsung and they won't work on these components. I called GE. Their repair was $890. And that was with 50% of parts. Why would I send money on a bad refrigerator. Repair man said this machine was crap. And they didn't charge me a dime!

GE model GFSS6KEXASS. $2500; from Howards, who doesn't do repair work anymore (wonder why). After I had it a 1 year no problems I had my company (a local municipality) buy 3, and my brother bought 1; all now have problems (theirs units are 4 yrs old). We need to get GE to stand behind their the Samsung parts. Most repair companies will not work on them. Even GE said that my repair guy Little Cesurs in Laguna Liguel is a good repair company. But they can't say the best about them!! Let's file a class action suit. Howards has my information. My salesman was Mike.

I purchased a GE Refrigerator, Range and Dishwasher. I have had multiple issues since my purchase beginning with delivery. When the appliances were delivered the delivery crew noticed a dent on the left door of the Refrigerator. They left this unit as a loaner and on the 19th arrived with the new unit, and informed me it was standard practice to just switch out the doors, which I was okay with. While cleaning the new appliances I noticed what I thought was a smudge on the glass top appears to be a defect under the glass. After spending a hour on the phone I was finally able given an appointment for a service call. This interaction was not very pleasant. This service rep was Michael, ext **.

Later this same day I was at the Home Depot and I was mentioning my issues with the new appliances, and I asked the Home Depot representative about the Refrigerator. I mentioned that they replaced the door that was dented, but the doors no longer line up. She said I should contact GE to have it looked at. I told her about the service call on the Range and asked if she thought that I could have the refrigerator looked at when they were out for the range. She said "I would call GE to confirm."

I then went home, I called GE, and spoke with a woman, who I explained the situation to. She told me it was not GE's fault or issue, and that I needed to speak with Home Depot. I questioned what she was saying and she then advised me that I would have to pay for an out of warranty service call. She was rude and not helpful. I then went back to Home Depot and spoke with the store manager who called GE. I was given the phone and a lady asked me for my phone number, my name, address and etc. She then asked for the model number and serial number. I was unable to give her the serial number because it was not on any of the paperwork I had brought with me to Home Depot. And I brought every piece of paperwork I had. She said I would have to call back later with the serial number.

I returned home and called again. This time I spoke with Jack, who was very helpful and explained the procedure, but he never asked for the serial number. He said he had all the information that was needed, already. Now on October 27th it has come to my attention that the appointment for the refrigerator repair was cancelled, for confirmation number **, by someone within your organization. I have had several unpleasant interactions with your customer service department, and you have cost me considerable time. The stress and inconvenience of purchasing your appliances and all the run around I have had to endure is incomprehensible.

First, due to the dimensions of the space I was limited to a selection. Since this model GTE18LMHBRES was the maximum height I could use without completely remodeling the kitchen, I bought it. It was the new smoky gray color vs stainless steel and it is nice and does not show all the fingerprints that stainless does. From the FIRST day, the freeze door would pop open when we closed the refrigerator door.

It was under warranty and I called for a repair. The repairman simply blamed it on some loose plastic bags near the back vent of the freezer. THIS WAS not the cause. That freezer has been empty and the freezer door still pops open EVERY TIME you close the refrigerator door. Empty or full. The magnetic seal is not strong enough to keep it closed. This is a design flaw. BAD product, bad design, bad warranty service imo. STAY clear of this GE product. I am going to try to get it fixed again under the extended warranty. IF I am successful, I will update this review. Thank you.

Updated 12/1/2016 - I promised to update my review of October 2016 after the service call. The service man arrived as scheduled and advised he would need to order a new gasket but to expect to see the same issue. He also mentioned that all refrigerators do the same thing, i.e. freezer door pops open when the refrigerator is closed. Sorry, I can't agree with that statement at all. Part received and he returned to replace the gasket. It did not make any difference. The freezer door still pops open when you close the refrigerator door. Think kids, teenagers, rustling through the freezer after school. You can imagine how annoying, in addition to the waste of energy, when you notice the freezer door is popped open AGAIN. I would never, ever recommend a GE refrigerator to anyone. Very unhappy and stuck with a lemon. Thank you.

Purchase the refrigerator 8 years ago, and have had to have it repaired 3 times! First time was because it was freezing up in the back portion of the fridge. They put in a heat probe to counter the issue. Within 2 more years, the same issue. Now it is happening again, but this time, the water through the door and ice maker is frozen and does not work either. I unplugged it and let it defrost and cleaned out all the ice. The water worked for 2 days, so, I know it doesn't work because of the same exact issue. Today I was scheduled for a service call, that I scheduled 8 days ago. Received my first call, saying the technician was on his way.

However, since I missed the technicians call 10 minutes after that, GE called to let me know my appt. was cancelled, and I had to reschedule. I tried to call back immediately, but the service techs telephone number did not registered on my iPhone and so I had to call the 800 number. After 10 minutes of automated service BS, I finally got to talk to someone. She called him and he was already out of the area. This all happened within 20 minutes!! Now I have had to reschedule! I asked the service rep why they would cancel. She said this is the first time she has ever hear of this happening. REALLY!! I WILL NEVER BUY GE PRODUCTS AGAIN! Bad service and products!!

After reading all of the horrible reviews about GE, I must say I am quoting someone else with this catch phrase: GE JUNK. Don't buy GE. Sears appliance repair charged me $150 to tell me to buy a new frig. Disappointed in both.

I will never in my lifetime ever recommend in my lifetime to anyone to purchase a GE. I am so disgusted with them that if I could I would get rid of all my GE products and change them all. They have made my life for several months a living hell with my fridge. I had to open a case with them got a person named Marie with her personal extension and never go to talk to her. I have purchased from Sears and never had the experience that I had with this company. Disgusted to the nines, I hope never to have to deal with this company again. Hate them all - on a scale from 1 to 5 I rate them a zero.

I purchased a French door refrigerator model gfss6kex. In about two years the ice cube maker broke, cost 300.00 to fix. Bought bagged ice instead. Next my freezer stops working. Repairman say 900.00 to fix and one week later the refrigerator quits. Now I have a stainless steel box in my kitchen that isn't working. In my previous experiences with GE they were of decent quality. Obviously not any more. I will never buy another GE or Samsung product and will discourage anyone from buying one. I called to talk to someone from GE CARES and was put on hold for 15 minutes, finally hung up. People don't buy GE. They are junk in my experience and what's worse they have no concern at all about your problem.

We built a new home and purchased a GE Monogram 42" side by side refrigerator that we could put panels on to match our cabinets through our builder. The first refrigerator brought to our home was broken and could not be installed. We had no refrigerator for 2 weeks until a new one was delivered. The 2nd one has issues with the doors scraping together when opened, the doors do not line up with each other when closed and the panel to access the filter, etc stuck out past the doors at the top. After a minimum of 5 appointments with technicians, the builder and installers we were told the seals on the doors would settle and eventually line up and be flush.

10 months later they look exactly the same, still scrap and the springs had to be removed from the top panel to make it not stick out. We had another appointment with a technician and were told that there is nothing they can do, these are cosmetic issues and do not affect the refrigerators sole purpose of keeping food cold. When you spend $8000.00 dollars for a refrigerator with paneled doors to match cabinetry, it is obvious this refrigerator was not purchased for the sole purpose of keeping food cold but also for the cosmetic features. We are furious with the treatment and disrespect we have received with GE and will NEVER purchase a product from them again! Buyer beware!!!

After hours of product research we purchased 4 kitchen appliances in Manitoba Canada. All 4 were scratched, bent, or dented when we uncrated them yesterday. Looks like they were damaged at the factory and shipped as is. Horrible quality control. This was an expensive purchase and we are presently trying to resolve the issues through the retailer.

The fridge I bought model PNR22LSE has been nothing but a nightmare. Control board fails, either thawing all your food, or putting it into a deep freeze. I'm on my 3rd control board (which has failed... again). DO NOT BUY GE. Absolute garbage that will waste your time.

Nothing but a night experience with GE Products. Regret my decision. They do not stand behind their product. Have had numerous issues from exploding door glass in self cleaning mode, gas leak from day one, shut done by FDNY and Con Ed. To fire on but not hot enough to cook a meal. To my refrigerator breaking down several times to many calls in 2 years and no assistance. SHOP ELSEWHERE!!

We purchased a GE profile counter-depth french-door refrigerator and had only used it for 3 1/2 months before the freezer stopped working. A technician determined that there was a leak in the "closed system" coolant and is going to have to replace the system. While we are lucky that the refrigerator is still under warranty, I am completely unimpressed with the quality of this refrigerator. We also bought a GE profile dishwasher, microwave, and range at the same time as the refrigerator. I can only hope that these other appliances are made better than the refrigerator.

12 months after we moved into our new home and started using our new refrigerator, the silver strip disengaged from the long drawer at the bottom of the top section. GE sent a new drawer (after the third phone call) but we'd have to pay almost $100 for a technician to come out to fix it. The drawer cannot simply be replaced because GE built a refrigerator whose doors do not open wide enough to be able to pull drawers out to clean them OR replace them! What kind of designers do they employ??? We will NEVER buy another GE product because of bad design, bad quality control and bad customer service.

I purchased a complete set of GE appliances in April of 2014 - The GE-GFE27GMDES refrigerator's freezer has gone out and the unit is less than 2.5 yrs old. GE said that the $2500 fridge only has a 1 yr warranty - a tech came out and said I have a Freon leak somewhere. My complaint is that the unit should not go bad that quick and that there's only a 1 yr warranty. I'm not sure how much the repairs will be since they will have to trace the leak down and figure what part is defected. I was told it could be upwards of $700 depending on what part needs repairing. I hope I have better luck with the other Appliances than I have with the Refrigerator.

We also built our "dream" kitchen 5 years ago and chose GE because of their reputation, style, and perceived durability. This year, the gaskets on the refrigerator began to pull away from the door and literally shredded. $450 to replace and install! GE tried to tell us that the damage was a result of spills that destroyed the gaskets. This was absolutely not the case. Yesterday while using the self-cleaning feature on our double wall oven, we began to get an alarm near the end of the 3 hour cycle. I was unable to stop the alarm so we had to turn off the breaker (meaning that both ovens are now out of use.) The control panel and oven door were dangerously hot to the touch. The walls around the oven were hot as well. The oven was no unusually dirty, but I wanted to use the clean cycle while I was home and thank God I was... If we had not been here, I'm sure we would have had a fire.

It took 5 hours for the oven to reach a temperature that allowed us to touch the outside. When we tried to push on the controls, they literally sank into the panel as the heat had melted the inside. We are unable to unlock the door to look inside of the oven and are waiting for a service call. Less than 5 years of use and quality care on our end should not result these kinds of problems.

We purchase a GE refrigerator 9-2015. We have went the 2 refrigerator now. On the 2nd ref it's already having the same issue as the 1st one had. Needless to say I'm not happy. How would you feel if this was your refrigerator. I called Consumers Relation 9-19-2016. Still waiting for Mr. Appliance from Tyler, TX to arrive or call. I was told from my 1st Consumer Relation agent that on the 3rd issue the refrigerator it would be a lemon. Well come to find out that's incorrect per CR Dept. This refrigerator is a piece of crap... Not happy.

Both refrigerators buzz loudly on and off all day, every day. Two repair calls, can't be fixed. Dishwasher heating element melted the tub. Ge offered a discount on parts to repair the piece of junk. I now refer to all ge appliances as ge junk. Samsung, frigidaire, etc make decent products. DON'T BUY GE JUNK. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. THEY MAKE JUNK YOU'LL REGRET OWNING.

Purchased a new stainless slate side by side, July 2015. 1 month out of the GE warranty, August 2016, the fridge side started freezing everything. Even a gallon of milk and water line to the water dispenser froze. Called Lowe's where we purchased the 5 year warranty but they could not get a repairman for 3 weeks. Called GE repair and told them we would pay for the repair, but they would not come because we had a Lowe's warranty. We complained to Lowe's. They gave us a loaner - GREAT service! They pulled out the GE side by side and it was trashed.

Lowe's sent us a refund and we went back and upgraded to a French door/freezer on the bottom. Have had it for 3 days and the darn thing makes so much noise that it sounds like a helicopter. VERY dissatisfied so far. Have 30 days to try it out before calling Lowe's again. Have the entire upgrade package of GE slate kitchen appliances. Love the look and until now - no problems! What's up with GE selling this junk for such inflated prices. Very disappointed. GE is NOT what it once was!

I guess I'm lucky based on reading all the reviews that my GE Profile French Door Fridge lasted 7 years. At first the freezer wasn't working properly and the local fridge tech took a look and could not understand what was not working. It was either the freezer compressor or the motherboard. Then the fridge started breaking down. Tech guy came in a second time and said repairs for compressor is going to run into the thousands and better to buy a new fridge. I'm not buying another GE again. Any recommendations? We want a good ice maker and French Door with sliding freezer door on the bottom.

I purchased a GE Fridge in 11/2008 Model # GFSL2KEXA. 8 years later, the compressor has gone out. I also have a Maytag fridge over 20 years old that is still working and has never required major repair. I have been trying to contact GE consumer relations for assistance and their systems are down. I will never buy GE again. The repairman said the parts are made cheaply in another country. I had problems with the non mechanical parts from day one, plastic breaking. I am looking at another brand of fridge and not GE. I paid $1300 for the fridge in 2008.

GE, what happened to you??? You once were the most reliable company for appliances. Now, I am stunned by your lack of service. Have you forgotten that customers keep you in business? Briefly, our nearly new refrigerator (1 year, 2 months old, French Door, bottom freezer) was stuck on Celsius for the temperature read-out. So, we called GE Answer Service for help in setting Fahrenheit. After following their advice: unplug to reset, etc. our nearly new refrigerator is now DEAD. Dark, warm, DEAD. Says GE: "We can send a serviceman out in ONE WEEK." One WEEK. Are they kidding me? I will not only NEVER buy another GE product, but I sold all my GE stock, too. Fair warning to everyone: GE's best days are GONE. Run for the hills.

Compare Refrigerators