GE Refrigerators

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

About GE Refrigerators

GE appliances come with a traditional warranty, but the company also offers extended coverage with a Service Protection Advantage plan from Assurant, GE’s authorized provider of extended warranties. The plan covers parts and labor for appliance repairs for an extended period. Customers pick and choose which appliances or systems need to be covered.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

GE Refrigerators Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Refrigerators?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

At first I was excited to get the fridge I wanted that had the 4 things I wanted in a fridge.. counter depth, ice maker, white and French Doors. Well, I was quickly DISAPPOINTED in BOTH the product AS WELL AS the customer support. There was an issue with the freezer not getting cold enough to freeze my ice cream and fruit as well as there were items, like salad in the drawers, freezing and being ruined. After 4 repair technician that came to “fix” the issue - the 1st one said, "It’s working fine" and "You’re just keeping the freezer door open too long."

The 2nd one said the compressor was faulty or there wasn’t enough refrigerant in the system and will need to be replaced. (I didn’t want him to touch it because it’s a brand new refrigerator and I didn’t pay my hard earned $$$$ for a refurbished refrigerator). I called GE and the case manager told me that they cannot replace the refrigerator but have to repair it (even after I tried to convince her it’s a brand new fridge and I didn’t buy a refurbished fridge). She said that GE is responsible to repair it and only when it can’t be repaired they (GE) will replace it. At this point she said, "We (GE) can send another repair tech" who agreed with with the 2nd repair that the compressor needed to be replace.

The repair tech called it in and his company would order the parts. 10 days later I called the GE case manager to find out what’s going on since I haven’t heard anything - I was told that she will know what parts to order by the end of the day (spoke to someone other than the case manager). Two weeks later I got a call from the “GE repair business” that the compressor came in but it was damaged and would have to reorder it. Well 3 weeks later I call them back and the person who answered the phone said that “we have all the parts” and can send out a technician in 5 days.

When he came to “repair” the fridge he said, "It is working fine" and if I wanted to replace the compressor (which he “happened” to have one on hand) it would cost me $1300. He said he didn’t have any order to replace the compressor (so why the hell did he happen to have one, that took weeks to get after ordering, on hand). So after weeks of dealing with GE and the companies that they use I still have a refrigerator that's faulty. And the day after the last repair technician left, GE and their incompetent case manager closed the case without even reaching out to me. Don’t buy GE - crap products now and worse customer service..

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

I ordered a refrigerator online to be delivered. On delivery day, since I was never contacted. They told me they no longer has the product and tried to forward me to another site. They claim this happens often. Go elsewhere. Poor customer service and no transparency.

Get buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2022

They get the servicing done by third parties which don't care cause this is not their product when it's broken. GE also doesn't care (talked to a supervisor right now--she didn't care). Think twice. DON'T BUY THIS. Tip for consumers: DON'T BUY.... NEVER....

Original review: Aug. 20, 2022

Our GE Monogram Fridge rusted on the back side and grew mold all over the left side (see the photos). GE Monogram has the absolute worst customer service imaginable. They misdiagnosed the problem, charged us for a part we didn't need, and promised there was no mold. You can see the photos for yourself. GE put our family's health at risk and then refused to refund us even $350 for the part they (incorrectly) said would fix the problem.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

I purchased a Cafe refrigerator at the end of March. On July 28th my refrigerator and freezer stopped cooling. On July 29th I contacted GE (held for over an hour) and was told that they did not have any technicians available in my area (I live in Northern Virginia) and they would forward my information and have customer relations call me within 48 business hours. So that actually meant 4 days since it was Friday. Tuesday August 2nd I called again and was told that they didn't have any technicians available and they would reimburse me if I used someone local. I called a local company and they arrived the same day. I was told that the relay was bad and the part would have to be ordered from GE. One week later the part was delivered and the technician came out to install.

I was up and running for less than two days before it stopped cooling again. I called the technician again and this time he determined that the control board needed to be replace. Two days later the new control board arrived and the technician connected it and the refrigerator would not work. After diagnosing further he determined that the compressor was bad and he recommended to GE that it be replaced. GE denied the replacement and sent another technician out with a different company that could not help me and told me that he also believes the refrigerator needs to be replaced....Well GE denied the claim today.

I have sent two emails to my customer relations person (Courtney). He has yet to respond or follow up with me. The only contact I have with GE is when I hold for a minimum of 1.5 hours to get a representative on the phone and they tell me that Courtney will followup with me...So here I am with no refrigerator and no plan of repair or replacement and a customer support person that doesn't care to call anyone back. I will NEVER buy another GE appliance and I would suggest that to anyone reading this post.

Original review: June 14, 2022

I purchased a GE refrigerator model number GFE28GYNFS from BestBuy.com. The refrigerator was delivered on 2/17/2022. The refrigerator stopped working on 6/1/2022. Only 104 days after delivery. I contacted GE warranty service department. No service techs were available until 6/8/2022. I had to throw away approximately $600 worth of food that had spoiled due to the refrigerator not working. On 6/8/22 the service tech examined the refrigerator and determined it needed a new compressor. An order was placed by the technician Order ##**. The original compressor part #WR87X41647 is no longer available. The new compressor part #WR87X37686 is backordered and will not be delivered until 7/25/22.

I have seen other complaints online regarding this particular GE refrigerator model about the compressor failing within months of purchase. I have a strong suspicion GE is aware there is a problem with the original compressor because the original compressor part is no longer available. They should not have sold this model with a known problem. Continuing to sell a faulty product is a deceptive business practice and should be considered fraud or at the very least a bad business practice. I now have a refrigerator that does not work and yet I have to continue making payments to Best Buy. GE needs to make this right and send me a replacement refrigerator immediately or refund the entire purchase amount immediately. A refrigerator is a necessity, not an optional appliance. It is unacceptable for a brand-new refrigerator to have a compressor fail within 104 days of delivery. Refrigerators are supposed to be long lasting appliances.

Original review: May 8, 2022

DO NOT BUY A GE CAFE REFRIGERATOR!!! I have been having issues with 2 GE CAFE refrigerators. I have contacted GE Customer Relations several times and have been overly patient with GE. My patience of over 3 years has been spent so I am filing complaint online today and make current and potential future GE consumers aware of the poor customer service and product guarantees.

I originally had issues with my original GE CAFE and I had an extended warranty. I had it serviced around 3 times and GE sent out 3rd party technicians that were not trained to high quality service level. The last 3rd party technician came out on the 3rd call and cut the refrigerator's wires too short. I demanded a GE Official Certified Technician come out and they evaluated my GE CAFE Refrigerator and said it was not repairable since it was INCORRECTLY repaired by the 3rd party technician sent by GE. I was very frustrated and contacted GE Customer Relations to resolve the issue. They never admitted they were at fault and it took several calls for them to help me replace my refrigerator.

GE should have offered to replace my refrigerator since it was their FAULT that I needed to replace the refrigerator. However, they did not replace my refrigerator, instead they offered me a very low amount of a prorated credit to purchase a new GE Refrigerator. They low balled me since the refrigerator was not very old and it was GE's FAULT that it needed to be replaced. After several calls with GE Customer Relations they slightly raised the GE refrigerator by a SMALL amount. I was already over 1 month without a refrigerator working so I had to settle and get the small credit and pay a higher price for the new GE Refrigerators. (I only bought GE because it matched all of my other GE appliance that I bought in my remodeled kitchen (stovetop, ovens, dishwasher, microwave)). This is only the start of my GE Customer Relations issues.

In the beginning of 2019 I purchased another GE CAFE refrigerator to replace the refrigerator noted in the paragraph above. However, within the 1st year I had issues with the new GE CAFE Refrigerator. It was under the GE Warranty and I contacted to have the refrigerator serviced since the food in my refrigerator was freezing and it was leaking water.

Since the start of the service on my GE CAFE Refrigerator that began in early 2020, I have had technicians come out at least 12 times and called GE Customer relations at least 30 times with at least a 2 hour wait each time! I didn't want to deal with 3rd party undertrained/cheaper technicians so I ALWAYS asked for an official GE Technician. I have asked several times for GE Customer Relations to REPLACE the DEFECTIVE GE Refrigerator that I paid a lot for and also an extended warranty. GE, you need to STAND BY YOUR PRODUCT. Each time I get the same response from GE Customer Relations that they are concerned with my issue but can only give me a small credit amount. I don't want to make the same mistake and get a small credit and buy a brand new overpriced GE Product so I am waiting for GE to REPLACE their product as they should.

I will spend 2 hours tomorrow waiting for GE Customer Relations and ask them for the fifth time to REPLACE their warranted DEFECTIVE product. Based on my history with GE Customer Relations, I will probably have their technician come out and try to fix it but the recurring icing of my refrigerator will happen. I have lost at least $600 in my family food that have frozen in my refrigerator over the past 2 years. I have also been home for each service technician to come and fix the GE Refrigerator.

Original review: May 5, 2022

I would never recommend a GE refrigerator, especially model GSS25IMNPHES. The noise the flapper water valve makes when it opens and closes is unbelievably noisy to the point it will wake you up in another room. A replacement valve sent by GE was even worse. Technical support stated that "I guess that's the way it is".

Original review: April 26, 2022

I didn't buy the most expensive GE fridge, but I trusted that the GE name meant I'd be getting a quality fridge. I was wrong. First of all, it roars like a freight train. Using the recommended setting of 3, the freezer compartment got so warm between cooling cycles that my ice would partially melt and then refreeze. Not every day, or every week, but often enough that I was throwing food away. I upped the setting to 4, but the items in my freezer still periodically melt and refreeze (though slightly less often) and the refrigerator roars all the time now. I am seriously considering replacing a 7 month old fridge. What the heck, GE?

Original review: April 13, 2022

I bought a GE refrigerator last year and at once noticed that the compressor is so loud and whining that it is unbearable. I have had to close my bedroom door to keep the noise out at night. I actually placed a door to the kitchen so that we could enjoy the rest of the house. When I called GE they sent a repairman. He must have been deaf to this sound hearing it for so many years as he said he heard nothing. My old refrigerator was 20 years old and ran better than this ****. I repeated called and emailed GE and had repairmen come and do nothing. The last straw was at the one year mark. GE actually said it isn't their problem any longer as their warranty is only one year. I said, one year once everything is working properly. Awful service. Terrible Fridge. DO NOT BUY.

GE Washing Machines author review by Sandy Baker

GE, or General Electric, is an American appliance manufacturer headquartered in Fairfield, Connecticut. The company ranks as the 26th largest firm in the United States, according to the Fortune 500.

• Energy efficiency: General Electric refrigerators are mostly Energy Star appliances, which means big savings for users and a 20 percent improvement over standard refrigerators.

• Features: GE refrigerators offer a number of unique features, such as digital water dispenser readouts and temperature-controlled drawers.

• Capacity: GE offers a wide range of storage capacities in its models, ranging from 4 cubic feet to more than 26 cubic feet.

• Styles: GE has many different styles of refrigerators, from bottom-door freezers to French doors and everything in between.

• Handicap accessible: Some of GE's fridges are designed to make them easier for handicapped people to use.

by Sandy Baker Contributing Writer

Sandy Baker has written for ConsumerAffairs since 2021. Along with the advice and information her articles provide to consumers, she’s written several books that focus on topics such as retirement planning, bankruptcy, business finance, estate planning and personal credit health.

GE Refrigerators Company Information