Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home
GE Refrigerators
3.89/5

GE Refrigerators

Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home

1765 GE Refrigerators Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 8, 2019

This is probably the second refrigerator I have liked in the last 34 years. Shelf size is great. First side by side I have had with the freezer on bottom. Wish I had this one when my children were growing up. Last one I had was a top seller - could move shelves but then you would lose space on next level. This one I do like a lot. Can fit everything and stainless steel. I like very easy to clean.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I owned the 2009 model and it was a nightmare from the beginning. Dampers in the quick chill system would strip every single year. I believe due to poor design of the auto defrost where moisture would collect on the door and freeze it in the closed position. When the damper would then try and open, it would strip the internal gear. After 8 years of use, the sealed system developed a leak and GE was unable to isolate the problem after 3 visits and 4 months. GE then determined it could not be repaired because the issue was in a part of the sealed system which was inaccessible. No problem, I thought, the unit has a 12 year warranty on the sealed system and GE would surely make it right. GE WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT!! I was told they would not replace the unit even though it was under warranty! GE is a substandard product and a company that obviously doesn't believe in or stand behind their products.

Get expert buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 16, 2019

DO NOT purchase a GE appliance. I purchased a GE PYE22PSHISS refrigerator and it is constantly in need of service. The parts are expensive and the service department is of no help. The warranty is poor and expires quickly. The only help they offer is… "Here we will discount a new appliance." Well I paid 3k plus for this one and I want you to fix it. NOPE.... DO NOT PURCHASE GE APPLIANCES. Trust the reviews... They know the issues and don't care.

Original review: May 15, 2019

This review is about the GE Refrigerator model: gpe12fgkbww First off, it's Made in China. It makes all kind of noises (this is NOT a joke): 1. Jungle resemblance: sounds of Elephants, lions, wolfs, frogs, etc; 2. Vomiting: For a while I was thinking my neighbor was throwing his guts up badly till I realized it was the sound from the refrigerator. 3. When the door of the freezer gets open there's a scary roaring sound. The refrigerator was brand new out of the box, and was replaced 3 times, but still the same except the roaring sound from the freezer is gone. "Phew!"

Original review: May 8, 2019

Bought GE Adora refrigerator about 5 years ago. Definitely not built to last. Several broken side compartments, cracked pieces, followed by broken icubed ice button, then broken crushed ice button, now freezer compartment will not get cold. Also alot problems with ice maker clogging. (Also Adora dishwasher which is crap—pieces falling off inside, handle coming off and cannot replace....)

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: April 23, 2019

Brand new (4 month old) GE Monogram built in Refrigerator——3 service calls in 3 months for exact same issue, NO REFRIGERATION, now they are ordering parts. Since the day the refrigerator has been installed, the refrigeration does not work (freezer is ok). We have lost over $1,000 in food, and they still not have resolved the issue. Now they are ordering parts, that will take 10 days, so still no refrigerator. They REFUSE to replace the Lemon Appliance, and insist their warranty is only for service. So, the consumer sits here for 4 months with NO refrigeration.

This refrigerator cost near $8,000... This is their solution? Keep trying to fix it? While the consumer waits and has no appliance. We simply cannot recommend a GE appliance of any kind.... buyer BEWARE.... GE is not standing behind their products, this refrigerator should be replaced or total price refunded by GE to the consumer, which they refuse to do. A $1,800 refrigerator would have been a much better solution.. Sad that the GE reputation is not living up to its prior reputation.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I bought a G.E. side-by-side refrigerator in 2015. The product has been great. I went to install a new G.E. water filter today and it wouldn't screw in, although the old non-G.E. compatible filter would unscrew and screw back in just fine. I called G.E. Parts Dept. and they wouldn't help me with their G.E. part because I couldn't prove I bought it from G.E. I don't remember where I bought it about 9 months ago, but I made sure it was a valid G.E. part - not a compatible. G.E. should stand behind their parts regardless of where you buy them.

Original review: April 20, 2019

We purchased our GE Profile fridge in 2012 and have had to have it repaired 4 times in seven years. The circuit board for the ice machine, the ice machine components as well as numerous other circuit boards were replaced in the troubleshooting of the first couple repairs. We've had fairly consistent issues with temperature control over the last three years with a complete break down of the circuit board that controls the cooling & freezing (woke up to a massive puddle of water on the floor from the melted freezer, ice machine and warm fridge) two months ago and then again today. So massively frustrated at what a lemon this fridge is. We're in the market for a new one now from a different company as we can't seem to even trust the new components that have been installed.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I purchased a GE Profile side by side back in 2008 at a cost >$3000.00 from local Sears. After 15 months of ownership we had problems with cooling and the tech replace the fan. Several years later we had water collecting on the bottom of the unit and ice build up on the back. The tech replaced the defrost unit and several sensors on the unit. Several years later the system had the same problem with icing and water on bottom, the tech replaced defroster, tray on bottom of unit and blew out defrost line.

One year later system stopped cooling and the tech after several weeks wait replaced the coil, recharged the coolant as well as the Control panel board on front of unit. Here we are 13 months after repair and the control panel is failing (locks up and need to unplug unit to get it to work). All I can say is thank God we had extended service plan. I would stay away from any GE product since they no longer represent a high quality and dependability. I have a Hotpoint refrigerator that is over 30 years old and have never had a problem. I wonder if shifting production outside USA resulted in such a decay in quality standards. M. **

Original review: March 26, 2019

I purchased a GE GTS16DTHJRBB refrigerator/freezer in June of 2016. This was my first major appliance purchase and I financed it for two years. 3 months after my final payment, the refrigerator section has completely stopped cooling. As I have no warranty, I'm expected to pay for a service call and repairs on a unit that was rarely used. Highly irritating as I am not wealthy and this was a major purchase for me, $670. Sadly, I'm currently using an old college fridge to keep my food cold and my refrigerator is basically a big useless box! Horrible quality, horrible workmanship, horrible service! Buyer Beware!!!

Original review: March 25, 2019

Two to three years ago I purchased a GE Cafe 2 door with bottom freezer, counter depth refrigerator. Approximately 1 week after I got it I noticed everything was icing up. The fan in the refrigerator stopped working and it was repaired promptly. One week later the same thing happened and I tried to return the 2 week old, possible lemon, refrigerator but was told that the warranty only covers repairs. This time a new fan, different than the others was installed. The repairman said that he had replaced these fans in every one of this model they had sold, but there was no mention of it before purchase when GE knew this problem existed.

Also, when the refrigerator was first delivered, the guys that brought it tried to level it, which is expected. They tried for a long time but couldn't get it just right, blaming it on the floor tiles. After I retiled, the refrigerator wouldn't level exactly and I learned to live with it. Later on I noticed in the instructions that if the side by side doors won't level properly they SELL "spacers" (that sound like washers), that are placed on the post under the door to correct the problem. For as much as this cost, I expect that problems like these should not exist at all. It would be nice if some refund would be offered, at least the cost of groceries that were lost.

Original review: March 22, 2019

We bought GE appliances for our new kitchen and they were installed in May 2018. At the end of 2018 the GE Cafe refrigerator tripped the arc fault circuit breaker. Had the electrician replace the breaker. The refrigerator has continued to trip the breaker and we lost everything in the fridge. Called GE and we finally got a repairman yesterday (after 2 1/2 weeks).

I explained what happened so he called the GE Tech Line and was told “do not touch the fridge and do not order parts”. I was directed to call GE Consumer Relations and was told by GE that the fridge is working and nothing needs to be done. What? The lady was so rude, she kept saying the fridge is working and no repair needed. I tried to explain as simply as possible that yes, it was working but trips the breaker. Finally talked with a supervisor but no resolution. AND the fridge just tripped the breaker again this morning. Cannot leave the house for more than a day. Wonderful service. Anyone else have these problems?

Original review: March 21, 2019

We moved to this house with already new GE appliances. The fridge is a freezer on the bottom fridge model GFE28HSHFSS. It’s been a disaster from the beginning. Six months after we moved in the freezer accumulated 4 inch thick layers of ice on the bottom to the point we could not close the door. We had about 4 GE repairmen come in and they all had a different explanation and said they had it fixed but the problem has been re-occurring every 3-6 months for the past 2 years. We filed complaints, asked for new replacement from GE fridge but got rejected. Now we are giving up. No trust in this brand ever again!!!

Original review: March 17, 2019

I had this refrigerator for the last fifteen years, I am very happy with the performance of it. It is well built and keep my food fresh and it help save energy. This refrigerator is very good for keeping food fresh and your meats fresh.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I love my refrigerator. It was purchased as a used appliance but still continues to work great. The best feature is the ice and water in the door. My only complaint is that the door needs to be removed when putting it in the kitchen. This isn't very easy to do.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I bought a GE Refrigerator over 5 months ago. It never has cooled correctly. I have food spoiling on a regular basis. 3 service calls later and still won't replace it. They are dragging this out until it's no longer under warranty. Horrible Customer Service.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I bought a GE refrigerator over 2 weeks ago. I have to buy a counter depth refrigerator, because the doors in my house are at max 28 inches wide. As I initially did not know this I had ordered and returned a too large machine previously. I decided to try to have the GE refrig repaired rather than having another appliance selected and delivered. The employees at the repair number I was given are not interested in having someone discuss the problem and they don't care that you have a problem. They make an appointment -- 10 days later. What if the food spoils, I inquired, will GE reimburse me? She gave me a number to call that was supposedly customer service, but it was just repair service again. I seriously doubt they have any customer service department.

GE did not call to let me know when in the day they would come; I had to call. Then they canceled, because it had snowed during the night, although it stopped by 4 AM and by nine the street here is only wet. Should I be glad that GE seems to care about the safety of its repair people over the obligation to provide repairs? I called the repair service number and did they apologize? NOT ONCE. Nothing I can do, but reschedule your appointment, they tell me at GE and put me down for 3 days later. This service is so bad that I simply cannot imagine that this appliance which worked properly for about a minute will be anything but a nightmare. I'm going back to find something that works.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I purchased a GE refrigerator from Lowe's last June 20th. Unfortunately, I was not notified of its non-operation by my tenant until 7/31 which was past the return window for Lowe's. Today marked probably the 8th, 9th or 10th time a tech has either come out or not showed up for an appointment... Honestly I have lost track! The fridge has has not been functional for use on multiple occasions and the most recent event (called in over two weeks ago) started as a frozen water line and ended with a frozen fridge with temperature below 20 degrees and exploding cans of soda and champagne bottles on the interior! Yet again, the tech has ordered a part and it will not be in for a week!

Jennifer, # **, the supervisor with whom I have spoken the past two times was absolutely the worse consumer advocate one could ever encounter contrary to a few calls (and attempts to help) where offers of restitution were made (a 6 month warranty extension and $40 gift card for having to wait 6 hours for the tech NOT to show up!). Jennifer saw no reason to assist and insisted that we would have simply have to wait for the part and not have a fridge again for an entire week. When I told her I had already purchased another unit (tenant has to have a fridge and NOT a GE of course!) she stated because I purchased a non-GE unit I was not eligible for any restitution AND there was no one else to speak with. She was judge, jury and executioner!

GE's issues as a company are well documented and quite frankly I don't even recall who now owns the appliance division. I urge fellow consumers NOT to purchase any GE products when their own Consumer Advocate department will not advocate for the consumer! Worse experience EVER and I have had the misfortune of similar incidents with various home warranty companies. Exhausted in Laguna Beach.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Purchased a new refrigerator from a Big Box store that was delivered 1/10/19, bottom freezer model w/ two doors on top, no in-door ice maker. Stopped cooling properly 3 weeks after it was delivered. Freezer would not hold a cold temperature, and after about a week everything in the freezer was melted. Called for service, which is covered under their 1-yr warranty. Took several calls to schedule service, and initially they scheduled it with a local service company that has a notoriously bad reputation. I finally called and had them reschedule the service with a reputable outfit in our area.

Service person indicated that the refrigerator was experiencing what are essentially "end of life" failures, and would need to replace all major parts (compressor, condenser, evaporator, etc). And he explained that it would be a major undertaking where he would be using torches to remove and replace the parts; expected to be almost a full day repair. He actually tried calling GE service to see if they would just replace the refrigerator. They would not. The tech attempted to order all of the parts needed, but the parts weren't even loaded into the system. So it will be a minimum of 2 weeks just to get the parts.

In the meantime, the refrigerator stopped cooling all together and won't hold a temperature below 50 deg (F), so we've had to remove all our food and have now been without a refrigerator since about the 2/20/19. We've made numerous calls to GE and spent hours on the phone with them, asking them to simply replace the refrigerator, but they have steadfastly refused and expect us to have it repaired. They offered an additional 1-year warranty, which is nice, but it's still ridiculous. We spent $1400 on a new refrigerator, and we are now without a refrigerator for weeks, and have to basically have our "new" refrigerator completely rebuilt onsite at our house. Unbelievable that a company get away with this. Selling junk to consumers at a premium price. If I wanted something that was junk and needed fixing I would buy a used item off of Craigslist.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Brought the French door fridge GFE24JSKSS model on December 5th 2018, discovered that the food in my fridge was not lasting. Technician came out on February 2, 2019, and noted that it was a cooling issue and ordered a part, another tech put in the part and it still is not working. So far 4 technicians have been out but none have repaired. The diagnostic on February 21, showed temp in fridge At 43 degrees and freezer at minus 19. The temperature on panel is set for fridge to be at 35 and freezer at 0 degrees.

The technician repaired the wires but still not working. Actually it’s worse now, the fridge is even warmer now. I keep a refrigerator temperature gauge in the fridge. Called customer relations several times. They keep telling me that they can’t replace or refund my money because the fridge is repairable but yet they can’t repair it. A 5th technician is coming today. I haven’t even had the fridge for 3 months. I plan on getting a third party involved to get help with this issue. Customers should not be treated like this. I will make sure everyone knows how GE does NOT care or stand by their defective products.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Lands more ice in the bottom of the freezer than in the tray. Very poor design. Also no place to put a shelf after installing the ice maker. Would not recommend this poor designed option. Who was the engineering marvel that came up with this design?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Do NOT buy this refrigerator. I have literally never written a review for anything, but this is such a horrible product that I'm taking the time to warn anyone who reads this! I read a negative review prior to my purchase, but I didn't listen. What a mistake! This thing has had nothing but problems from the very beginning. I had it fixed twice under warranty and it's still not working.

The guy told me they get lots of service calls and he replaced all the motors already - or at least I thought he did. It makes the loudest humming/buzzing noise I've ever heard. We live in a two-story 3800 sq ft house and you can hear the noise all the way in the furthest room upstairs. It's so embarrassing when people come over and our refrigerator is making so much noise we can't hear each other. I just purchased the extended warranty for $200. What a joke! You mean to tell me I can't expect a GE product to last a couple of years?!?!?! I have a total beater refrigerator in my garage that works better than this one. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT purchase this model - or any GE product.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Because I have a high regard for GE, I bought this Fridge from Sears less than a year ago, with other four appliances, but I had problem with it from the start. First, I had to ask for new Fridge after delivery because the door was not installed correctly. It was leaking. Then, with the new delivered Fridge I faced a freezing problem from the start. The vegetables get frozen inside the fridge as if they were in the freezer. I lowered the temperature (or I thought I did because the display is complicated) to no avail.

I called for GE service and a technician came and used a computer to diagnose the issue. Then he changed the temperature again. It worked for a while but then it went back to freezing the fruits and vegetables again - which we were forced to throw away. The temperature looks like it is within the desired levels! Overall experience with GE Fridge was not great, I would say, even though all my other appliances are made by GE but this Fridge was a disappointment.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

We are very disappointed with our GE refrigerator. We bought a vacation home when it was one year old. It came with a side by side GE refrigerator. As we only spend a few months a year in this home we were shocked when the refrigerator door handle broke off. We paid over $200 for labor & parts. Now a year later the freezer handle broke off. The same repair man came to evaluate and could not believe it. He told us it was such an inferior door handle, just terrible! He recommended that I call GE and report the problem, which I did! What a waste of time! Terrible customer service! They did admit that they discontinued those inferior handles. I finally got a 25% discount on the piece, which amounts to nothing. I am now out over 400 dollars, not to mention waiting for someone to come evaluate the situation, and once again wait for them to come back & install. As our repair man said, stay away from GE refrigerators! Bad product & awful service!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I had the unfortunate incident today to be connected with a woman from GE Monogram who told us that we should expect our freezer to unlock after about 10 sec. and that no child could ever fit into a freezer because of the shelves. I plan to make this my next PUBLISHED Peer reviewed article as emergency medicine physician and nurse, she stands to be corrected. 1. All freezers regardless of manufacturer better open immediately and not wait 10sec to open after closing based on safety. 2. Our freezer would not open and it has been about 2 years new and she told us to expect this. Ours was 20 min. to open after closing.

Today, we had to pay 200.00 to fix something that is a GE monogram manufacturer flaw in our opinion. How dare you charge us, how dare you have your employees trained to say such things. As health care professionals, toddlers can indeed fit into any freezer and opening a freezer immediately is paramount, and cannot wait a nanosecond. She should be fired. And GE will be the spotlight my promise at the next ACEP (American College of Emergency Physicians conference)! My Mission! We have had nothing but problems with the freezer portion and it is a manufacture flaw in my opinion. No support whatsoever ever other than asks for $ to make repairs.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

In the past year, I have owned two PYE22KSKJSS refrigerators. Both of them have had problems with the ice maker door building up frost so that it does not seal properly. That causes the ice to partially melt and when it refreezes, the ice is all clumped together making it difficult, if not impossible, to dispense the ice through the door. I previously owned a GE Monogram with the same ice making unit and it had no problems. I am definitely not happy with the Profile model.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

They are a nightmare. We didn't have much of a choice if we wanted the French door type fridge. The space we had was very limited. So, we bought the stainless GE. Ugh, what a nightmare. It shows every little smudge. We use the stainless cleaner recommended but it doesn't help. Still a pain to clean. Wouldn't buy another stainless like this.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

My GE refrigerator is only 1 year old. I was having problems with the ice dispenser and the temperature lights would blink on and off and the power would go off when dispensing ice. I found out on the internet that I was not the only one having this problem. The wires were broken from the Molex connector on the bottom left front of the refrigerator. I cut off the green and wet Molex connector and spliced the wires together using electrical tape. You have to splice the three blue wires together for the front monitor to work. This is poor workmanship from GE from the wires being out of the Molex connector. I guess GE wants the customer to pay for a service and repair job. I did this myself and it is working. Thanks to the internet. Please be aware.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

In August 2013 we purchased a GE PROFILE WITH BOTTOM FREEZER. We selected this model based on good ratings on fridges in this price range. The refrigerator started to act up in October 2018 and the fridge was deemed unrepairable at an economical price due to leaking refrigerant. To say the least we were not impressed since we had to replace the unit with a LG UNIT. BASED ON ABOVE I WOULD DEFINITELY NOT RECOMMEND THE PURCHASE OF THIS UNIT.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

My wife and I have purchased Monogram refrigerators three times over the last 15 years (2 remodels and 1 new build). Unfortunately, the quality of the last unit we purchased is lacking. It required service during the first year and then totally shut down this past summer (it is now 3 years old). We finally got it fixed after 4 service visits and about 3 weeks out of service. After working for about 2.5 months it has stopped working again! So we are required to take another day off from work to wait for the GE repairman, who is like an old friend. Very frustrating. BTW, we also purchased a Monogram ice maker and it also required 3 service visits in its second year. All in all, very disappointing -- we will not be buying or recommending any GE products going forward.

GE Washing Machines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

GE, or General Electric, is an American appliance manufacturer headquartered in Fairfield, Connecticut. The company ranks as the 26th largest firm in the United States, according to the Fortune 500.

• Energy efficiency: General Electric refrigerators are mostly Energy Star appliances, which means big savings for users and a 20 percent improvement over standard refrigerators.

• Features: GE refrigerators offer a number of unique features, such as digital water dispenser readouts and temperature-controlled drawers.

• Capacity: GE offers a wide range of storage capacities in its models, ranging from 4 cubic feet to more than 26 cubic feet.

• Styles: GE has many different styles of refrigerators, from bottom-door freezers to French doors and everything in between.

• Handicap accessible: Some of GE's fridges are designed to make them easier for handicapped people to use.

• Best for: Consumers who need a reliable refrigerator for home use and like a wide variety of options.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs