2. Homeowners

GE Refrigerators

GE Refrigerators
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.92/5
Based on 1,020 ratings submitted in the last year

GE appliances come with a traditional warranty, but the company also offers extended coverage with a Service Protection Advantage plan from Assurant, GE’s authorized provider of extended warranties. The plan covers parts and labor for appliance repairs for an extended period. Customers pick and choose which appliances or systems need to be covered.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

GE Refrigerators Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Refrigerators?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I've owned the GE Bottom side by side freezer for one year. It's quiet, maintains the set temperature, and I can control how often the ice maker cycles. The three shelves including one split shelf allows me to view most items at a glance. I especially like that I can use either two vegetable drawers or use one for vegetables and one for fruit. Included is a narrow meat, cheese drawer, too. The side doors are roomy for condiments, butter, salad dressings, etc. Although I can store soda cans on the bottom door shelf, I sometimes can't view, and tend to forget about the sodas because the shelf sits slightly behind the other door shelving. The bottom freezer is divided into two large bins, an ice maker tray, and a pull out top shelf. I find it very roomy. My only concern is that the stainless exterior easily shows fingerprints and needs to be wiped down frequently. However, I'm basically pleased with the refrigerator in general.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

My coverage I had at the time I had a refrigerator when I had a home and my insurance through Farmer’s Insurance at that time covered my parts and labor on my refrigerator 100%. Did not cost me that much more to have it covered through my Insurance which covered me on my liability Insurance on my truck at the time too and did not have to pay much more to have personal property insurance coverage on my refrigerator too. Just a few dollars more every month with my liability insurance every month too. That’s what I did every month too when I renewed my liability insurance coverage on my truck every month too and right now I don’t need to have until I buy another home too which I am preparing to do again as soon as I am able to find again too.

Get buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

We have a galley kitchen & needed a fridge that was ‘counter depth’. We also wanted gray appliances to match our decor. The GE Profile Line Refrigerator we chose makes up in width where we had to cut back in depth. It’s energy efficient as well as beautiful to look at. We couldn’t be happier! It shows itself off every time you open it, there are great lighting effects, even in the bottom drawer, which change color, depending on which setting you choose. The freezer, on the bottom, is also a dream, great ice make & lots of room. We are very happy with our purchase & highly recommend it!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

Have had my General Electric Refrigerator about 8 months, brand new. It's very updated, timely and performs well. The temperature as set, keeps freezer food, as well as my usual assortment of basic refrigerator foods evenly cold. Along with a companion G.E. updated electric stove with range hood, this threesome is making a kitchen fashion statement nestled amongst blonde style oak cabinets, and their black easy wipe appliance surfaces. Living in a tornado alley midwestern area with above average storm and excessive wind activity, I'm very much impressed with this threesome's electric holding on and adaptable strength during the rougher stormy weather seasons, especially.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

We bought an expensive GE Cafe series refrigerator because it was the only one with a longer lifespan per reports. Thus far, the refrigerator is acceptable, though not as appealing as our 25 year old one that it replaced. The new one's doors are heavy and don't close with a slight shove (you have to consciously and firmly close the doors). The bright back-lit interior is easy to find things in; there's lots of room, though it's not as well thought out as their older ones (the door shelves are quite narrow and dont' hold much on the side with the icemaker). There's a lot of room that could have been used for shelf space, but isn't. Overall, we like it, but miss our old one.

Original review: May 15, 2021

I was thrilled to find a refrigerator Made in the USA. Unfortunately, Made in the USA does not necessarily mean "quality product" as in the old days. Refrigerator was installed Dec., 2016. At the advice of the appliance shop owner, bought the extended warranty as he said there may be problems with the computer parts. In Nov., 2019, the drain hose plugged and that was covered under the original warranty. In Oct., 2020, it happened again. This was NOT covered and cost over $90 to repair. Claimed "it was not part of the refrigerator".

Now, it has happened a THIRD time and was told by the extended warranty people that it is not covered because it is not a mechanical problem. Said extended warranty does not extend the original warranty!! Am I to expect this to happen every year? I would like to also mention that there was a time where the front panel died; no lights and no water. A new door was ordered but oddly, the panel turned back on before the new door was installed and has not been a problem since. As far as I am concerned, I received a lemon and GE should replace. So upset and disappointed after paying over $2,000 (on sale).

Original review: May 5, 2021

The refrigerator section should be maintained at a temperature below 40 degrees F and and above 32 degrees, ideally at 37 degrees. Bacterial growth occurs at temperatures of 40 or above. The maximum temperature of the freezer section should be 0 degrees F because only at this temperature or below can foods be kept fresh indefinitely. Above this, they can only be kept fresh for 3 months. This fridge has one control for both compartments. Only when dialed to the coldest possible setting can I keep the freezer at or below 0, but at this setting, the temperature of the refrigerator compartment freezes food. At the next less cold setting, the freezer is at +10 degrees after between closed for 10 hours overnight.

A first GE tech adjusted the baffle between freezer and fridge and said he hoped this would work and to call again if not. The 2nd GE tech, unlike the first, did not even look at GE’s page for technicians to specify how to handle such problems, simply said there was nothing he could do, that the temperatures “met specs.” What are specs? Technician said a 37 degree difference between freezer and fridge compartments. Note that even if it met these specs, the freezer would be at 0 if the door were never opened and the fridge compartment at 37 if the door were never opened, BARELY within FDA recommendations and SHOULD be at these temperatures when the control is at the midpoint.

The specs themselves are terrible. The difference should be 45 degrees to give some leeway when doors are opened, but it does not even meet these specs reliably, indeed varies widely over the day and night. I bought this piece of junk very recently, but am seriously thinking of giving it away and getting an LG with separate temperature controls for freezer and fridge. I do not recommend any GE model that has a single temperature control for freezer and fridge. I feel that $1500 is down the drain. — Also, Abt sent me an email to review this product. After I had given it 1 star and before I could write my review, the web page suddenly disappeared!

Original review: April 12, 2021

This built-in refrigerator was installed in my home around 2003. I acquired it in 2018 when I purchased the home. Mold grows, continuously, and water pools in the bottom since day one. Given the amount of rust in the refrigerator, I suspect it has operated like this for its entire life. I have had numerous repair people out to attempt to rectify the situation but nothing has helped. You adjust one area, temperature, and then it creates another, water in the bottom, overflowing condensation pan. I hope the mold is not killing us. Please be wary of GE products because I have researched this problem and there is a design flaw in a fan that continuously runs keeping moisture in the refrigerator. I wish we could get a class action together because it is not right to continue to sell defective appliances. I will never buy another GE appliance.

Original review: April 3, 2021

I've never met so many arrogant people in a profession before. Every single Monogram repairman that came by were incompetent, contradictory and defiant. I asked all three of them to take their shoes off or wear a cover and every single one of them said no. One of them even said wearing shoe cover can make you slip and cause death. Give me a break. You repair fridges for a living not fight terrorists. Different diagnoses every time, GE trying their best to nickel and dime you, schedule change on the whim and many more. No wonder GE sold their appliance division to Haier. It's probably for the best. I will never buy GE products again. Will buy puts on GE though.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

Refrigerator does its basic job very well, no repairs in few years I have owned it, however the cold water dispenser does not dispense nearly enough cold water - it should have a reservoir to hold cold water, not just tubing coiled up inside the fridge - I do have this plugged into an RCA surge protector made for refrigerators however, as I have been told the modern circuitry in today's fridges tends to get fried from small surges in our electrical supply.

GE Washing Machines author review by ConsumerAffairs

GE, or General Electric, is an American appliance manufacturer headquartered in Fairfield, Connecticut. The company ranks as the 26th largest firm in the United States, according to the Fortune 500.

• Energy efficiency: General Electric refrigerators are mostly Energy Star appliances, which means big savings for users and a 20 percent improvement over standard refrigerators.

• Features: GE refrigerators offer a number of unique features, such as digital water dispenser readouts and temperature-controlled drawers.

• Capacity: GE offers a wide range of storage capacities in its models, ranging from 4 cubic feet to more than 26 cubic feet.

• Styles: GE has many different styles of refrigerators, from bottom-door freezers to French doors and everything in between.

• Handicap accessible: Some of GE's fridges are designed to make them easier for handicapped people to use.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team