GE Refrigerators

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

About GE Refrigerators

GE appliances come with a traditional warranty, but the company also offers extended coverage with a Service Protection Advantage plan from Assurant, GE’s authorized provider of extended warranties. The plan covers parts and labor for appliance repairs for an extended period. Customers pick and choose which appliances or systems need to be covered.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

GE Refrigerators Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Refrigerators?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: June 14, 2022

I purchased a GE refrigerator model number GFE28GYNFS from BestBuy.com. The refrigerator was delivered on 2/17/2022. The refrigerator stopped working on 6/1/2022. Only 104 days after delivery. I contacted GE warranty service department. No service techs were available until 6/8/2022. I had to throw away approximately $600 worth of food that had spoiled due to the refrigerator not working. On 6/8/22 the service tech examined the refrigerator and determined it needed a new compressor. An order was placed by the technician Order ##**. The original compressor part #WR87X41647 is no longer available. The new compressor part #WR87X37686 is backordered and will not be delivered until 7/25/22.

I have seen other complaints online regarding this particular GE refrigerator model about the compressor failing within months of purchase. I have a strong suspicion GE is aware there is a problem with the original compressor because the original compressor part is no longer available. They should not have sold this model with a known problem. Continuing to sell a faulty product is a deceptive business practice and should be considered fraud or at the very least a bad business practice. I now have a refrigerator that does not work and yet I have to continue making payments to Best Buy. GE needs to make this right and send me a replacement refrigerator immediately or refund the entire purchase amount immediately. A refrigerator is a necessity, not an optional appliance. It is unacceptable for a brand-new refrigerator to have a compressor fail within 104 days of delivery. Refrigerators are supposed to be long lasting appliances.

Original review: May 8, 2022

DO NOT BUY A GE CAFE REFRIGERATOR!!! I have been having issues with 2 GE CAFE refrigerators. I have contacted GE Customer Relations several times and have been overly patient with GE. My patience of over 3 years has been spent so I am filing complaint online today and make current and potential future GE consumers aware of the poor customer service and product guarantees.

I originally had issues with my original GE CAFE and I had an extended warranty. I had it serviced around 3 times and GE sent out 3rd party technicians that were not trained to high quality service level. The last 3rd party technician came out on the 3rd call and cut the refrigerator's wires too short. I demanded a GE Official Certified Technician come out and they evaluated my GE CAFE Refrigerator and said it was not repairable since it was INCORRECTLY repaired by the 3rd party technician sent by GE. I was very frustrated and contacted GE Customer Relations to resolve the issue. They never admitted they were at fault and it took several calls for them to help me replace my refrigerator.

GE should have offered to replace my refrigerator since it was their FAULT that I needed to replace the refrigerator. However, they did not replace my refrigerator, instead they offered me a very low amount of a prorated credit to purchase a new GE Refrigerator. They low balled me since the refrigerator was not very old and it was GE's FAULT that it needed to be replaced. After several calls with GE Customer Relations they slightly raised the GE refrigerator by a SMALL amount. I was already over 1 month without a refrigerator working so I had to settle and get the small credit and pay a higher price for the new GE Refrigerators. (I only bought GE because it matched all of my other GE appliance that I bought in my remodeled kitchen (stovetop, ovens, dishwasher, microwave)). This is only the start of my GE Customer Relations issues.

In the beginning of 2019 I purchased another GE CAFE refrigerator to replace the refrigerator noted in the paragraph above. However, within the 1st year I had issues with the new GE CAFE Refrigerator. It was under the GE Warranty and I contacted to have the refrigerator serviced since the food in my refrigerator was freezing and it was leaking water.

Since the start of the service on my GE CAFE Refrigerator that began in early 2020, I have had technicians come out at least 12 times and called GE Customer relations at least 30 times with at least a 2 hour wait each time! I didn't want to deal with 3rd party undertrained/cheaper technicians so I ALWAYS asked for an official GE Technician. I have asked several times for GE Customer Relations to REPLACE the DEFECTIVE GE Refrigerator that I paid a lot for and also an extended warranty. GE, you need to STAND BY YOUR PRODUCT. Each time I get the same response from GE Customer Relations that they are concerned with my issue but can only give me a small credit amount. I don't want to make the same mistake and get a small credit and buy a brand new overpriced GE Product so I am waiting for GE to REPLACE their product as they should.

I will spend 2 hours tomorrow waiting for GE Customer Relations and ask them for the fifth time to REPLACE their warranted DEFECTIVE product. Based on my history with GE Customer Relations, I will probably have their technician come out and try to fix it but the recurring icing of my refrigerator will happen. I have lost at least $600 in my family food that have frozen in my refrigerator over the past 2 years. I have also been home for each service technician to come and fix the GE Refrigerator.

Get buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 5, 2022

I would never recommend a GE refrigerator, especially model GSS25IMNPHES. The noise the flapper water valve makes when it opens and closes is unbelievably noisy to the point it will wake you up in another room. A replacement valve sent by GE was even worse. Technical support stated that "I guess that's the way it is".

Original review: April 26, 2022

I didn't buy the most expensive GE fridge, but I trusted that the GE name meant I'd be getting a quality fridge. I was wrong. First of all, it roars like a freight train. Using the recommended setting of 3, the freezer compartment got so warm between cooling cycles that my ice would partially melt and then refreeze. Not every day, or every week, but often enough that I was throwing food away. I upped the setting to 4, but the items in my freezer still periodically melt and refreeze (though slightly less often) and the refrigerator roars all the time now. I am seriously considering replacing a 7 month old fridge. What the heck, GE?

Original review: April 13, 2022

I bought a GE refrigerator last year and at once noticed that the compressor is so loud and whining that it is unbearable. I have had to close my bedroom door to keep the noise out at night. I actually placed a door to the kitchen so that we could enjoy the rest of the house. When I called GE they sent a repairman. He must have been deaf to this sound hearing it for so many years as he said he heard nothing. My old refrigerator was 20 years old and ran better than this ****. I repeated called and emailed GE and had repairmen come and do nothing. The last straw was at the one year mark. GE actually said it isn't their problem any longer as their warranty is only one year. I said, one year once everything is working properly. Awful service. Terrible Fridge. DO NOT BUY.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

Purchased 3 GE refrigerators over the last 20 years. When moving into a new house decided to install the GE Profit package. After 6 years the fridge stopped cooling. Contacted a service company and they determined that the freon leaked out stating that the failure was a closed system failure and the fridge needed to be replaced. I contacted GE Care asking if they could help with the repair or offer assistance to purchase a new one. They said that they do not do that. So after 20 years of supporting their products they were not interested in keeping me as a customer. Sorry to say I will never purchase a GE product again!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

Purchased GE French Door Refrigerator (Model GFE28GYNGFS) on 11/12/2022 from Home Depot and delivered on 11/17/2022. On 12/26/2022 the compressor failed. Home Depot does not honor their appliance products past 48 hrs and referred me to GE for the mfg warranty. Tried since Dec 26th to get it serviced under the GE warranty. No luck with that. The closest service appt was on 1/3. GE cancelled that appt on the day of service claiming the servicing rep called out of work that day. It was rescheduled for 1/6. Again, a no-show (not even a phone call or email this time). Do not purchase a GE product.

Would never have suspected the compressor to fail in less than 45 days. Bad product, even worst Customer Service. When trying to schedule an appointment, you get the run-around. One person even lied to me about the reason for the first cancellation. I guess she didn't see the email and listen to the voice mail left by her colleague. They just keep playing the delay game. In the meantime, I have a refrigerator that won't work and can't get fixed. Worthless.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2022

The Ice is too big! You cannot adjust the size of the ice! The ice constantly sticks together requiring you to open the ice door, pull the reservoir out, shake the H-E double toothpicks out of the ice, and put it back in. I have to do this several times a week. You would think with all the technology and convenience built in to the GFE29HSDDSS model they would have put a little more thought and quality into the ice maker. This one function is a festering blemish on the face of an otherwise great refrigerator.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

So far we are very happy with our refrigerator. It fits the space where it is goes. It chills the food nicely. Some of the plastic is flimsy, but acceptable. Added an ice maker to the freezer section since the one in the door doesn’t hold very much ice.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

Five year system warranty - died at 6. It broke many times over the years that needed to be fixed - touch screen, evaporator fan, many other issues. It finally had a freon system leak which finally killed it. Not happy. Oh, and did I mention that it requires a very expensive proprietary water filter.

GE Washing Machines author review by Sandy Baker

GE, or General Electric, is an American appliance manufacturer headquartered in Fairfield, Connecticut. The company ranks as the 26th largest firm in the United States, according to the Fortune 500.

• Energy efficiency: General Electric refrigerators are mostly Energy Star appliances, which means big savings for users and a 20 percent improvement over standard refrigerators.

• Features: GE refrigerators offer a number of unique features, such as digital water dispenser readouts and temperature-controlled drawers.

• Capacity: GE offers a wide range of storage capacities in its models, ranging from 4 cubic feet to more than 26 cubic feet.

• Styles: GE has many different styles of refrigerators, from bottom-door freezers to French doors and everything in between.

• Handicap accessible: Some of GE's fridges are designed to make them easier for handicapped people to use.

by Sandy Baker Contributing Writer

Sandy Baker has written for ConsumerAffairs since 2021. Along with the advice and information her articles provide to consumers, she’s written several books that focus on topics such as retirement planning, bankruptcy, business finance, estate planning and personal credit health.

GE Refrigerators Company Information