GE Refrigerators

Compare Refrigerators

Research top Refrigerators recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

We purchased a GE refrigerator, along with an entire suite of appliances, and now the ice maker won't work. We have had this product for about 18 months and have also had to replace a broken drawer. Every one of the appliances I purchased has had a problem ranging from something minor like a broken drawer to complete failure and replacement. I will never purchase another GE appliance as long as I live.

Purchased a full GE monogram kitchen. Fridge, dishwasher, microwave, ice maker, wine fridge, stove. Paid 24000.00. 3 years later 3 appliances have been serviced several times. Ice maker final quit. Serviceman suggested a new one. It's 3 years old. Called GE, they will not cover it. I am 4 months out of warranty. Junk. Will NEVER buy Ge monogram again.

After calling GE at least 6x in May for some warranty products they still keep sending me the wrong stuff and continued to send me multiple lights that don't match worth my fridge which I finally just gave up. It's like talking to the wall because they have no idea what their products are. On early Aug we called to service our wall oven. They came and said they had to order the products parts. A week later I called and they told me the parts were back ordered. I asked the lady to give me the model and serial number of the appliance they are ordering for, after she gave it to me I told her that was my microwave oven which is working and they need the parts for the wall oven, after talking to 1 supervisor and 3 CSR on which. I gave them the correct model and serial numbers they still keep putting the microwave oven? Do these CSR for GE don't know their products and parts?

After several frustrating calls we finally set an appt for Friday Sept 1, which is Labor Day weekend, they called me at 3:39 and told me I was next on line and to make sure my pets are secure somewhere if I have pets, I waited until 6 pm in Friday and no one showed up. On top of this the supervisor I talk to left us a message also saying we have an appt on Sept 8. How can these people know what's going on. Do they not log their comments on our file because there's only one address for us and one last name so I don't know why they are so disorganized. My whole house is GE. All kitchen appliances and washer and dryer and I WILL NEVER BUY GE AGAIN NOR RECOMMEND THIS COM. THEY ARE TERRIBLE.

Built a 6000 sq ft custom home, live rural wanted a refrig and freezer that would hold adequate amounts of food. Purchased both in 2005 and last year in September started with both units freezing over on the coils causing the air flow to not work properly. I have spent until 3 weeks ago having every part in both replaced and nothing corrects the problems. I am ready to turn the repair owner over to the Better Business Bureau because they only come to my area on Thursdays, they forget to order a part, they were sent the wrong part blah, blah.

And now 1 year later... They have diagnosed the refrigerator with a "leak in the wall" that can't be repaired and the freezer 3 weeks ago they ordered a part and I haven't heard from them. Top of the line products which cost almost $10,000 when purchased are both now on their last legs. Few people service Monogram so I am stuck with what we have. Now to replace those units is over $12,000.00 I am beside myself that only 12 years I have to spend more. My husband built them into a cabinet that looks like an armoire with wood doors as well. It is magnificent so now what? Nothing is made to last.

I've had this French door refrigerator for less than 8 years. NOTHING BUT TROUBLE. From day one, it ices up leaving water under the drawers. Icemaker broke several times. Now the fan motor and circuit board needs replacement. Instead of another expensive repair, I have purchased a new fridge.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Bought a brand new house the end of April 2017. The house came with an all brand new GE appliances. We have had issues with the dryer which was resolved. But my issue is with the fridge which stopped making ice and water. I have had 2 repair men out 4 times only to have them say they can't complete the repair. I need a new door. This all started June 29, 2017. Fast forward to today August 24 still not fixed. Waiting on a 3rd set of doors which have not been delivered as promised. Customer advocate has been called by myself multiple times per week in the last 8 weeks asking to speak with a supervisor. Please tell me why I have to be available for them to call me back at their convenience and they cannot leave me an extension to return said call. Every time I call I wait on hold for over an hour.

They have not fixed the problem yet the lady I spoke with today told me she'd be closing my case. How? My $3,000 fridge is still not working and I still don't have the parts. I have since found out that they (GE) gave the shipping company the wrong contact info and they could not correct it. They set up the delivery of the doors. I have to give my phone number and address EVERY time I call. How is this something they cannot correct or at least inform me of so I could correct it. I can't believe how they have no respect for a customer time and busy life. They have not been helpful and I would never recommend any products nor buy any ever again. 8 weeks with a non fully functioning refrigerator is totally unacceptable.

GE Profile Refrigerator/Freezer with french doors/bottom freezer - 3 months after purchase, ice maker had to be replaced. Ice maker only makes about 16 cubes of ice and takes forever to do that even after replacing. When ice drops into inside holder, you can hear it in next room. Refrigerator itself makes loud noises and cracking sounds. 1 year later, ice maker goes out again. Gave up and started buying bagged ice.

Today (8/16/2017) a big puddle of water appeared on the floor. Removed the bottom tray over the freezer and discovered a 1/2" sheet of ice that was slowly leaking out. It has rusted some of the cheap Chinese metal screws holding the very thin plastic together. Had to cut water valve to fridge off. It only would give 2 glasses of cold water from the front door anyway, so no big loss there. Just waiting for fridge or freezer to give out so that we can get rid of it. I would not recommend this refrigerator to anyone even for 1/2 the money we paid for it.

I purchased 3 GE refrigerators (model number GSS22SGPA SS) for my 3 flat building and 2 of the 3 refrigerators' compressors have gone out. The refrigerators were manufactured in 2015. There's no way this should be the case after just 2 years of purchasing them. When we contacted GE I was told there's no service repairmen in my area. I live in Chicago.

Model PFE29PSDASS - This was one of the "top of the line" refrigerators when we purchased it in May 2013. It stopped working in 2016, it did not even last 3 years. The motherboard went out first. Three months later it was making a very loud struggling sound and the fans had to be replaced. Now, 3 months later and the 3rd time we've had issues it is making a very loud struggling sound that you can hear from the other side of the house. GE and their Warranty Contractor Assurant will not do anything about it.

This refrigerator is terrible. In the first year, many of the plastic drawers and shelves have cracked and broken and you're lucky if you can get 4 glasses of ice out of the ice maker a day. We had to purchase an outdoor ice machine just so our family of 5 can actually have ice in our drinks. Worst refrigerator I have ever owned. I will buy Kenmore next time. My brother had similar issues with his high end refrigerator and SEARS replaced it after they had similar issues. No more GE for me.

I have a GE French door fridge and the one year warranty has expired yet it still freezes everything on the top shelf and often anything on the left side of the fridge. Repairs have been done REPEATEDLY. The problem is the repairs have not worked. They come out and say they need to order a part or the temperature setting is not right. Then a week to two later they come out and put that parts in. We wait another few days and call yet again. They come out and do the same thing all over again. They schedule another day to come out. I take that day off work. Then they call and reschedule for two days later. I take that day off work as well.

The repair man says he turned the temp up in the fridge so it will be warmer and he is ordering more parts. I would think the first service tech would have adjusted this if this was the real issue! Two days later a soda exploded. My extended warranty will not cover the fridge because this is a pre-existing problem the GE still has not fixed. GE has offered to send me “$50.00 to take my family out for a nice dinner”. That check never came and when I complained Pam has decided not to return my calls. $50.00 does not even begin to cover my food waste or time off work. This fridge is a lemon and I am stuck with it. They will not even give me a copy of their warranty. They tell me to go online and google it.

We had a set of GE Profile appliances for 14 years and decided to purchase new ones. We were very happy with our old set and decided to stay with GE again. So we bought a new set of 4 in Feb. of 2017. Initially all 4 appliances we received were defective in one way or another. But the microwave, range and dishwasher have all been replaced and are performing to our satisfaction. Unfortunately, we are on our 3rd fridge (model # PFE28KSKSS) and still having problems.

The first one had loud fans, would bang 20-30 times a day and wake us up every night, and came with the wrong shelves. The second one still banged away, had loud fans, and the side panel was starting to come off. This 3rd one initially banged away 20-30 times like the others. The banging sound varies between a couple different levels of loudness. And sometimes it can occur up to 3 times in a row at different intensities. It is not water "banging" because we can hear the water being taken in by the fridge when it needs it. And because no other faucet in the house has the problem. And because we never had the problem in the 14 years we had the old fridge. Also, every now and then it will loudly buzz for up to a couple of hours. In addition, the fans sometimes sound like they go into overdrive and are so loud that we have to turn the tv way up in the kitchen so we can hear the program we're watching. What a disappointing nightmare.

GE has sent a tech out 5 times so far. We have been told that this is a new model. On 4 of the 5 times there were software updates that needed to be downloaded. One time the tech said the updates had to completely rewrite 3 of the 5 circuit boards inside. And of course when the techs are out here for 20 minutes or so, the fridge will not bang or buzz. Even though just the normal sounds of the fans are louder than any fridge I've ever heard in life, the techs tell us that this is normal for this new model. Luckily, after all the software updates, we usually only hear it bang maybe 2 or 3 times a day. At least that's much better than it was.

The last tech that was out here told me he thought it might be an ice maker issue. He suggested that I turn off the ice maker overnight and see if the banging goes away. He told me that if it quits banging while it is off, we've probably found the problem. I've done that 3 times now and each time the fridge didn't bang while it was off. He said I should report my findings to the Customer Relations lady (Misty) I've been dealing with for months regarding this issue. I reported my findings to Misty and told her I may have found the issue. She had total disregard for the test and findings. She then told me that because their techs didn't hear the noise when they were here, GE has concluded that any noise I hear is considered normal. I reminded her that the noise may sometimes not happen for 6 to 8 hours and it's little surprise that someone can stand here for 20 minutes and not hear it.

NOW GET THIS, she actually told me I should find a way to record the fridge and send them the audio. I told her I'd be happy to let them set the equipment up in my house and record. Obviously, because there is no consistent pattern, it would be best for them to probably record for 2 or 3 days. She told me I should just do it on a smart phone. I told her that was ridiculous. First of all, I don't have one. Second, even if I did, why would I dedicate my personal phone and data plan for all that time? Isn't that what GE has an R&D department and engineers for?

Her next solution was that she could send a tech back again, but if it didn't bang or buzz while he was here they would charge me for the service call. At this point I thanked her for her time and told her that it was obvious she could not offer any more reasonable help. I told her I would escalate the issue further up the food chain. She then said I could talk to her supervisor, but her supervisor had no more power to help than she did. So that seemed like a pretty worthless offer and just more time wasted. I told her we were escalating much higher. Her final solution was to tell me that she was just going to close out my case.

So at this point we are very disappointed with GE. Considering the fact that software updates have been needed so often on a brand new item, it would seem to make sense that they have acknowledged problems with the initial programming that needed fixing. Unfortunately, although these updates have helped some, they have not completely solved the issues we're having. And there is no way to know when there may be more updates because the consumer has no way to check for them or download them. Shame on you GE.

In April 2016 we purchased four major appliances from J C Perreault, Trans-Canada Hwy., Kirkland, QC. A GE Profile Refrigerator 22.1 cu. ft., a GE Profile oven 6.6 cu ft, Panasonic microwave, 2 cu ft and a Bosch dish washer 4 cycles.They have been very good to us by providing us with refrigerator loaners until our repairs were executed satisfactorily. They however have been not very forthcoming in solving the problem described below. The extended warranty states if a problem is not solved after three visits for the same repair a new replacement would be made. What a disgrace that G.E. after years of generating such goodwill in the sector of major appliances that their administration would allow a customer to suffer and swing in the wind. Numerous service visits to solve a freezer malfunction without a promise of a solution or satisfaction.

This problem reoccurred multiple times within the first year of their guarantee and spilled over to an extended warranty sold by the vendor at the day of sale. In addition to this defect two motherboards were replaced and a temperature control. So sad to see this former star fall so far. A visit to the store managers office and letters to same and to the President J C Perreault advising them of all these problems have not brought a satisfactory conclusion. At this point a replacement should be provided. Any help or suggestions you can provide would be very appreciated.

Purchased a new refrigerator model #GTE18GTHBB on Nov. 4, 2016. Freezer frosts up with icicles. Fan stops working because of ice. First service call within 1 month of purchase. 4 more service calls, 3 parts replaced, 1 twice. Fifth repair scheduled for July 20 - no show. Called GE, on hold for 42 mins. Then I hung up. Later, I was able to reach customer service and they said a new service date is July, 24. GE refuses to replace refrigerator. [maybe because a new one will do the same thing!]

Our 6-year-old GE Profile refrigerator just died suddenly and needed a new main control board, an expensive repair. I can't believe a $2,000 fridge needs this so soon. Terrible quality. Also, the rubber strips lining the doors are falling apart. GE said they couldn't do anything to help. Will never buy GE fridge again.

BEWARE OF GE PRODUCTS!! We have a three-month-old GE Cafe Series Refrigerator and have already had a service call to repair a sticking water dispenser button, loud rattling noise and peeling silver tape covering the front of the shelves. The service person was able to repair the sticking button, told us that the compressor was "just loud" and replaced the two peeling shelves stating that they were defective. I now have two crisper drawers that have the decorative silver tape peeling off of them, and the ice dispenser is getting clogged with large chunks of ice.

I called GE this morning and I was transferred to their Consumer Relations Dept. I was told that the Manufacturer's Warranty did not cover defective decorative issues. WHAT? I asked why the first two shelves were replaced and she told me she had no idea. She then told me I should try to contact the supplier (which is Best Buy) with these problems. I don't have much hope, and at this point I am so frustrated that I would rather move this stinking piece out to the curb. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER GE PRODUCT!!! HORRIBLE PRODUCTS, HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Absolutely the worst experience that I have ever had trying to purchase something. Went in to take advantage of the 4th of July savings on a new stainless steel refrigerator and microwave. Found the units that I liked and informed the associate that I wanted to make a purchase. Took the associate 40 mins of fumbling thru their system before she finally took us up to the front desk to complete the purchase. Completed the purchase and was given a delivery date of 7/10 and was told that the delivery company (GE Appliances) would be calling us the night before to confirm the delivery and give us the delivery window. Never received a call the night before, called the day of and was given a window of 1pm to 5pm and was told I would receive a 30 min call ahead of time to let me know they were on the way.

So I went in to work, as I only work 15 mins from the house and waited for the call. Around 4 pm I got concerned that I hadnt heard from anyone so I called to make sure that we were still good to go. The delivery company told me that we were still on the schedule and that I would get a 30 min call. I finished my day up at work and went home. At 5:40 I called again and was told that the delivery company had already been to my house at 2:30 and that the best they could do was reschedule me for the 22nd. Well I had already given my old fridge and microwave to a family that was in need, so this wasnt going to work for me. I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told that I would get a call back within the hour. 2hrs go by still no word so I call back again, this time after holding for 25 mins was transferred to a supervisor.

Sloan the supervisor told me that she would email the regional manager to see if anything could be done and that I would get a call the next day. Late the next afternoon after never hearing anything back again I called them. After waiting on hold for another 33 mins I finally got Sloan again. She told me that I was the very next call on her list (Yeah right). She told me that the regional manager never got back with her and that she would email him again. Another day wasted. The next day comes and goes with no follow up, So I call again and get the same ** as the day before.

So I decide to go to the store and see if there is anything that they can do. I am told that there is nothing that they can do (hard to believe that HOME DEPOT has such limited resources) and that I had to work with the delivery company. I have finally given up on any kind of follow up from them or any attempt to make this right. So now I am waiting without a fridge or microwave for the next 12 days (If they can get it right then, fingers crossed). I know that there are many people with much larger issues but I challenge anyone with 2 kids to go 2 weeks without a fridge or microwave. Not an easy task. I will never make another purchase like this from HOME DEPOT and I will never buy another GE APPLIANCE. Congrats LOWE'S you just got yourself a customer.

I purchased a bottom freezer from Home Depot on April 7 of this year. Something I thought I could treat myself. I even purchased a dishwasher on April 7th. And a stove that I got last year. All GE products. When I got the fridge, I purchased the 3 year extended warranty via Home Depot. In that protection plan, any spoiled food could be reimbursed up to $300.00. Wednesday June 28, I went to my local Giant Eagle and purchased food. I spent $224.68 that Wednesday evening. Now a few weeks prior, we had a food truck come to our office, and I purchased chicken and meats (steak, filets, ground meat, etc) which I spent $399.00. All freezer foods.

I woke on Thursday June 29th to find out my fridge stopped working. All my food that I just purchased was spoiled. Thrown away... Brand new fridge. I called GE on Thursday while I was at work, schedule tech to come out that Friday 30th. I had to leave work early and wait for the service tech, anywhere between 1 to 5 pm. The tech came out, pulled apart the freezer and said, "Yes you are the third person this week with the same issue." He then proceeded to thaw out the freezer with a mega hair dryer. No paperwork, no invoice, no statement. Meanwhile I had filed a claim with Home Depot Protection Plan about the spoiled food. The tech said he put an email in to the engineers and said he will get back to me. That was it. After the fridge started to cool down, I went back to my local Giant Eagle and spent more money replacing everything I had to throw away.

I actually called GE back and asked for a copy of the statement and the rep told me they don't' give or hand out any statements since it was under warranty. REALLY? I can't even get Home Depot to reimburse my food spoilage because they require an invoice or statement. Last weekend, I come home on Sunday evening to my fridge not working again. And it smelled! So again, I had to throw away all the food I just replaced for the second time. My freezer stuff though was still cold so that was still OK as of Monday. Called Home Depot and nothing that they can do. Called GE on Monday morning. I get a rep who says, she is so sorry but the next available time was Wednesday. There goes all my freezer food.

A third party service tech was schedule to come out Thursday, tomorrow. Which was the only time in my work schedule I asked to take off and was allowed. I get a call today saying they need to reschedule because the only van they have went down. One van for a company, must be small I guess. Now I am wasting my time again to call, wasting my time to write this email since I am getting nowhere. I even filed a complaint with the BBB. I highly doubt nothing will happen with this. I spoke my opinion on Facebook. All the responses I got was "I am sorry to hear. Your case manager will be in touch." Funny thing is no case manager was in touch. I think if add up the minutes I have been on hold and transfer and actually talked to a rep, it has been at least 4 hours or so. Who has that kind of time? And why am I on hold that long? Is GE making faulty products that customers have to wait that long to speak to someone?

Even as I type here and look online, I see the Online Chat says... "All Agents helping others." I don't' understand how companies can treat their customers like this. I cant' afford this anymore. Money and time. I can honestly say that I regret buying GE products. And why can't GE refund my money? Does Home Depot keep all profits? The outcome of all this now, is I have to take off work again on Monday and wait again between 1 - 5 for the tech to come out again. Unfortunately I was told and my Uncle was told that I stuck with this garbage unit unless it goes out on me again for the third time. All within 3 months of purchasing. And still no reimbursement of any kind from anyone for the food spoilage.

In 2008 I moved to a new house that had brand new GE Monogram double oven and cooktop, so I did not research and went to Home Depot and bought the GE Monogram Refrigerator ZFSB26DSS. I bought also, the "Service Protection Plus" that Home Depot sells, that is serviced by GE. The first problem that I had with the refrigerator was a noise in the freezer. I call the service provider and they sent "an GE expert". The GE technician came to my house and told me that there was a problem with the fan blades touching the walls of the refrigerator. He did not change it, he only "fixed".

After that experience I bought insurance for all my appliances with Sears. Thank God! This refrigerator had so many problems: the temperature control board has been replace 3 times, the ice maker and drawer once, the main board 3 times (once because they ordered the wrong one) and the dispenser board 3 times. The water/ice dispenser still does not work. After my insurer told me that the problem could not be fixed and due to the restriction amount per claim, I called the GE Monogram customer relations people. I explained the situation and all the headaches that this beautiful but bad product has caused me and they told me that the only thing that they could do was to send me an "expert in GE". With nothing else to lose, but more money (they charge you $99.95 per visit/diagnostic).

They sent the "expert". The expert came and did all the same tests that the non expert GE technicians had done before and he determined that was the dispenser board. I told him that the dispenser had been changed 3 times. He told me that he was sure. I knew that that was not the problem and I ask him if they will reimburse my money if the board was not the problem. He said yes, I told him go ahead. They gave me a special deal to replace the board (10 minutes) for $454.9, everything included. The board came, the same "expert" came and it was replaced. Of course, it was not the dispenser board. At the end, this technician told me that this problem could not be fixed and asked me "how important for me was the water and ice dispenser".

This was not a cheap refrigerator, it was something around the $5,000. It is beautiful but it has design flaws (the food freezes when you put it close the fridge walls) and obviously an internal engineering problem too. Now I have a GE Monogram that has all brand new: ice maker, ice drawer, temperature control board, dispenser & dispenser board and main control board. But it does not work!!! So, do your homework and do not buy a GE or GE Monogram refrigerator. If you do, and you are willing to pass the fixing phase, my recommendation is to buy some kind of insurance that has the "replacement" option. In case that they cannot fix it, they can replace it. Do not waste your money buying GE refrigerators!

I purchased this fridge (GE Cafe Counter Depth French Door CWS21SSESS) in 5/2014. I am extremely unhappy with the fact that it freezes everything towards the back of the fridge. The temp is not set super low. I am not the only one with this problem. My friend bought the same fridge a few weeks before me and has the same problem. Also the lower drawer doesn't alarm if it's not fully closed. It will snow inside the freezer and accumulate frost. The water dispenser inside the door stopped working within 1 yr. However the ice maker works. I will not complain or might have a bigger issue on hand. GE does not deserve a good rating as a manufacturer or designer of this Cafe series fridge.

My husband and I built our retirement home two years ago. We purchased all new GE Profile products. Our refrigerator stopped working. The freezer and ice maker are still working. Talked to repairman and apparently this is the norm for GE Profile Refrigerators. This was a 3200 hundred dollar fridge, and it barely makes it two years without having problems! My older refrigerator was a Sears Kenmore and it was still going, no repairs twenty five years later. Will never purchase another GE product!

Placed an order for GE Refrigerator-Bottom Freezer through Best Buy on 12/17/16. Then was contacted On the scheduled delivery date 1/2/17 we received a phone call saying the model we ordered was no longer available. After we removed our old refrigerator to make room for the new one. Replacement model did not arrive until 1/27/17.

Less than 6 months later the freezer & ice maker quit. Loss of over $450 of food. GE sent local 3rd party repairman. Repairman said he would not work on dual cooling model because GE won't compensate him fairly for his time. Called GE service again, the representative was insincere and told me next available date was 6 days away. I also bought Geek Squad Protection but that is worthless. When I called Geek Squad they said GE had to do repair because the model is still under GE 1 year warranty. Why did Geek Squad sell me protection that was free through GE? Stay away from GE, Best Buy and Geek Squad!

I have a new GE Monogram Refrigerator 42" Counter depth that is constantly dripping water from the ice dispenser flapper from the first day it was installed. I was told by a couple of GE Repair Technicians that this is the norm for all the GE refrigerator line. The flapper is very thin and has no insulation so condensation is forming on the outside and then drips down into the ice/water dispenser area. To manufacture a refrigerator and sell it for $10000 with a flimsy part that performs like this is unacceptable in my opinion. I was told that there are a lot of repair calls for this which is not a problem that can be fix.

This is the most expensive refrigerator we have ever purchased and has been VERY unreliable from the beginning. To date, I have spent just under $2000 on repairs and it is broken down again!!! Junk!

Our ice maker starting dispensing bits of plastic that looked like ice. It was easily missed and we could have died from it. We ordered replacement parts for the auger which had chipped and was dispensing plastic. Not a year later, it started happening again and this time it was also dispensing screws along with plastic! We found out it was now the crusher cover that is chipping. Doing a search online, I discovered this is a common problem. An appliance repair person even posted: "There are two plastic things that will typically break in these dispensers the auger and the crusher cover. The crusher cover is the plastic cover that separates the ice crusher from the ice storage. The auger is the part that pulls the ice into the ice crusher and into the dispenser. You may have to replace one or both of these parts." Is this not a safety concern if so many people are experiencing this? This is for ice bucket assembly WR17X23191.

Called for GE Monogram 48" refrigerator repair service at 21 Perryridge Road Greenwich CT 06830 - On 5/23/17 ** rental home for us linked to **. When I called I mentioned the board was replaced in 2014. Your service department told me it's covered for 5 years if that is again the problem. Your GE service technician decided that was indeed the problem. Had the part and installed. I was billed $154.00 for labor to install a part that took 10 minutes. I was told on the phone before the service visit it would be a $108.95 trip charge plus parts. Since the part was covered and was not told before about the additional charge for labor we feel as a customer we were taken advantage of. The policy should be the customer should be told of all charges before and not be made aware of "labor not included" charges after the fact. We would like a response to this complaint!

Bought the fridge 6 years ago for remodel of kitchen. Started making loud noise 4 years into having the fridge. Repairman replaced condenser fan and put in a warming rod. Again same problem year later. Loud noise and not defrosting. Have to defrost by holding a hair dryer to it. Few days later same thing and noise is very annoying. 150.00 for first repair. Lost food due to it not cooling enough. Sure enough noise is back for the second time! Repairman warned this is common problem in these refridges. GE knows but are still building them the same way! Pay good money and think you're buying quality. Will never buy GE ever again!

I am a retired widow. My son works for Mayflower Movers/General Electric and is responsible for delivering Ge appliances for Home Depot. He replaced my kitchen appliances for me. I chose all GE because it is an American company and I knew from experience they were reliable, or so I thought. My parents married in 1936 in the depression. They couldn't afford a refrigerator: my dad built a wood box that fit in the window of their attic apartment. In the summer they used my grandparent's wood "ice box", literally used a block of ice.

In 1940 he built a gas station with a one room kitchen/living room, a half bath and two attic bedrooms where we lived until 1947 when my younger sister arrived. They purchased a GE refrigerator in 1940. It was about five feet high with a 10x10" freezer compartment that held two ice cube trays on a top shelf which had to be defrosted. They replaced it with a new GE and moved it to the basement for a back up fridge. They still had it long after I was married and a Ge refrigerator owner myself. The 1940 model eventually moved to the bulk plant my dad hauled out of and lasted until the bulk plant was torn down years later. I wouldn't be surprised if it still wasn't running somewhere! My point being my slightly over one year old GNE29GHSDSS french door bottom freezer model is freezing my food in the refrigerator as others have reported.

My son works for GE and is trying to get a resolution and I am still dealing with a refrigerator that is more freezer than refrigerator, only 16 months old. It went berzerk one month after the one year warranty was up. Shame on you GE for not taking pride in building a reliable product and not standing behind the product you make. I have a friend who works for GE Health Care in IT for five years. He was impressed with their stated values and earns a very good salary. However, is frustrated with how the customer is valued less than products and money and has lost his faith in the company values. Jeffrey **, better talk to your good employees and read the handwriting on the wall.

We purchased this refrigerator (GE Adora side-by-side) in 2013 with the idea of moving it in to a remodeled house. The remodel took longer than expected, so it sat in the box until July of 2016. We love the features of this refrigerator; but not the dependability. Twice in the last four (4) months the refrigerator has just quit working. The first time we were on vacation and it wrecked approximately three hundred dollars worth of groceries, not to mention the terrible smell of rotted meat. Surprisingly I unplugged the refrigerator for a few hours and plugged it back in, and it worked. Last night it just quit working. There is power to the outlet but there seems to be no power in the appliance. I have tried rebooting but to no avail. Afraid I'll have another loss on food, since we just purchased a bunch for incoming company... aaargh!

We purchase appliance CSCP5UGX in 2009. The icemaker has broken 3 times. We have replaced the left slide rack for the ice bin three times now (last time in 10/11/16) and it continues to break. It is very poorly made.

Bought brand new from LOWE'S less than 3 months. Freezer stopped making ice because temp cannot be regulated. Tech came out and ordered part which took over a week. On the tech's suggestion, "Return this fridge right away." Unfortunately, I did not buy the extended warranty or I would have return this junk to LOWE'S. I choose to buy an American product which I assume would function as it should. Boy, was I wrong! Tech came out on Friday, claimed it's repaired. His computer conveniently broke and he could not give me documentation claiming the repair was completed. GE stated that the fridge should be working perfectly in 24 hours. Since then the refrigerator and freezer stopped working and the temperature is now 67 causing everything to spoil. Of course GE treats its customer as liars so they will only reimburse customers 100 dollars for food.

Their customer service is absolutely helpless and uncaring, not to mention their upper level management whose only concern is to save GE a buck. After 24 hours I tried to inform them that the problem has worsened but the customer service was closed. I went online to schedule repair but have a 'schedule service error' so I have to wait to call them at 8 am on Easter Sunday. Everything I prepared for Easter dinner has gone bad! I am at my wits end with these people. The unfortunate thing is I also bought a new dishwasher, microwave and range from GE. All I want is a working product from GE. My advice to GE continue making airplane engines, get out of the appliance business!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

GE, or General Electric, is an American appliance manufacturer headquartered in Fairfield, Connecticut. The company ranks as the 26th largest firm in the United States, according to the Fortune 500.

• Energy efficiency: General Electric refrigerators are mostly Energy Star appliances, which means big savings for users and a 20 percent improvement over standard refrigerators.
  • Features: GE refrigerators offer a number of unique features, such as digital water dispenser readouts and temperature-controlled drawers.
  • Capacity: GE offers a wide range of storage capacities in its models, ranging from 4 cubic feet to more than 26 cubic feet.
  • Styles: GE has many different styles of refrigerators, from bottom-door freezers to French doors and everything in between.
  • Handicap accessible: Some of GE's fridges are designed to make them easier for handicapped people to use.
  • Best for Consumers who need a reliable refrigerator for home use and like a wide variety of options.

Compare Refrigerators