Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

GE Refrigerators Reviews

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

I spoke to someone in the customer relations department after contacting GE cares. Our GE refrigerator purchased 16 months ago had malfunctioned. Within minutes of explaining the problem GE located my file in their system. They immediately extended the manufacturer warranty as a courtesy. I didn’t have an extended warranty but GE arranged to have the service technician come to my house to repair, what he discovered was a broken fan, in less than 24 hours at no cost. While the likelihood of a fairly new appliance needing repair is rare, the service technician did explain that repairs needed with GE appliances does keep him very busy. I am thankful for their CARE and saving my Thanksgiving turkey!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

I like this refrigerator a lot and it broke only one time and it was about $220 to fix which wasn’t bad. The only problem is that sometimes things in the refrigerator part get really cold almost to the point where it is almost frozen. We are not sure why this happens and we had a service person come to check it out and he said we can’t put a lot of things against the back wall of the fridge so we try not to do that and so far it hasn’t froze anything. But I do like the style of our refrigerator and we had this fridge for 10 years.

Get expert buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I have 2 GE's both the same model. One of them has a noise in the freezer after a few months of use. You hear it in the bedroom. Years later, still works. The size is good for 2 people only. The other is upstairs apartment. The problem with this fridge is RUST!!!! The white finish is horribly speckled with red rust spots. Not very attractive. These fridges were entry level. Bought at Home Depot for around $3-400$. each. Today, unfortunately, ALMOST everything you buy, especially American made, is junk! No more quality, and will get worse. My advice? Get the cheapest items you can find, check all reviews on product, then make decision based on cheapest.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

My prior GE ref was 13 years old. New one, now four months old, has cut my electric bill by 40%, runs much more quietly. It is a 15.3 cu feet side-by-side; the top area of the refer side has a bulky light cover that interferes with what you can put on the top shelf. The pockets on the inside door of the freezer side are a bit too small. But, all things considered, it's a great unit and I'd probably buy it again, considering the price.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

We lost our old refrigerator to a lightning strike and had to get a new one ASAP, and it had to be counter depth, a great ice maker, side by side, and not be a SS finish. My wife and I hated our old SS one but liked everything else on the old unit so we went looking for a new one that met these requirements. What a chore, this was not an easy unit to find as most everything now has a bottom type freezer. This was defiantly out of the question.

We also have a Frigidaire in our garage and it is so loud I can hear it even with a car running beside it, so that brand was out of the question. Our choices were limited but we found a slate black GE side by side counter depth and had it delivered. What a great find. This is quiet and the configuration is well laid out and the black slate finish is just the thing with a lot of people using the system. We get a lot of company as weekend guest and have not ran out of ice once. The system is six months old not as we are pleased with everything, but would have liked to see just a little more room on the door shelves, but the lower drawer takes the overflow of almost everything we seldom use. I would buy this one again in a heartbeat.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I purchased a GE refrigerator 3 years ago from Lowes. It was over $2,000 and it lasted 3 years. I had Lowes come out and was told it was the condenser. It still didn't work. The next tech said it was the compressor. Parts are never in stock and it took over three weeks for the first part to come in and then another week to schedule service. Luckily I had the five year warranty and was able to get a refund. Others aren't so fortunate. Two other people I know had the refrigerator die after 2 years. The new refrigerators are junk. I wish I would have kept my old side by side. The techs told me they buy older refrigerators due to the better quality and longevity of service. The companies charge a premium and used inferior parts that are meant to break down so you have to continually replace the appliances.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

In 2004 we redid our kitchen and purchase a GE 42" monogram refrigerator side by side. One week out of warranty the motherboard went out, to a cost of $700 after paying over $6,000.00 for this piece of crap. It worked very well for 6 years after and then all the problems began. The repair man was here every 1-2 weeks, fixing the same issue which was the fan assembly in the freezer kept freezing up and would not run. We finally got rid of it and called GE. I must admit they were very responsive and offered me an amazing deal on a new one. Big mistake on our part. We were told all the problems with the old model were fixed. NOOO they were not.

We purchase the new model September of 2016 and it was working great until about 6 months ago. The same issue started as with our old model. The repair man is here every week now and cannot give me a definitive answer as to why this is happening. He put in a new motherboard and fan assembly which worked for 2 weeks and now here we are again different day same crap. Do not waste your money on any GE product. Do your research and read reviews.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

Got this refrigerator a week ago - has not cooled. Everything in the fridge had to be thrown out. I have been in contact with Home Depot where I purchased the appliance.... What a run around. I am told that I cannot get a replacement until 12/2/19 which is not acceptable because I have family and friends coming over for Thanksgiving dinner. Extremely upset and disappointed with GE and Home Depot for their attention to this issue.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

Purchased a GE Profile refrigerator on 3/14/17. The fan that circulates the air quit. I now have a deli drawer that freezes everything. Why does a refrigerator that we paid almost $3000 for breakdown in two years time. Now we have to pay for repair since we didn’t think we would need repairs after 2 years. Is there a recall on these refrigerators? Will never buy another GE.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

Purchased 7/10/12 with a 5 year extended warranty which was extended for 2 years for $349. First the freezer fan failed, then later the main upper compartment fan failed from freezing. A firmware upgrade was done after the second failure to keep the upper fan from freezing by changing fan speed and duration. Both times a diagnosis was done, parts were ordered and the repair was not made for weeks. We were forced to purchase a stand-by refrigerator to keep food cold while waiting for the repair. The unit is now out of warranty and has failed again, won't cool top or bottom. To extend the Warranty for just 1 year is now $349! We have bought a new refrigerator, NOT GE!

GE Washing Machines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

GE, or General Electric, is an American appliance manufacturer headquartered in Fairfield, Connecticut. The company ranks as the 26th largest firm in the United States, according to the Fortune 500.

• Energy efficiency: General Electric refrigerators are mostly Energy Star appliances, which means big savings for users and a 20 percent improvement over standard refrigerators.

• Features: GE refrigerators offer a number of unique features, such as digital water dispenser readouts and temperature-controlled drawers.

• Capacity: GE offers a wide range of storage capacities in its models, ranging from 4 cubic feet to more than 26 cubic feet.

• Styles: GE has many different styles of refrigerators, from bottom-door freezers to French doors and everything in between.

• Handicap accessible: Some of GE's fridges are designed to make them easier for handicapped people to use.

• Best for: Consumers who need a reliable refrigerator for home use and like a wide variety of options.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs