2.69/5
Based on 138 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1716 GE Refrigerators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 18, 2018

In my lifetime I have owned only a few refrigerators (I am 81) because most of them lasted 20 years or more. I even had one GE fridge, purchased in 1965, that lasted over 25 years and was still running when I gave it away. Because I had success in the past with GE refrigerators, I bought a new one less than two years ago. The light goes on but it neither cools nor freezes. Furthermore, when one calls GE for help, one finds out that they cannot help you for a full two weeks. Their standards have certainly lowered and are practically nonexistent. I am considering just calling this one a lost cause and buying a new refrigerator to replace it. The new fridge will NOT be a GE. Just because you can build a fridge that talks doesn't mean you should. Just build one that freezes and cools!

Original review: June 17, 2018

Before buying GE refrigerators I strongly suggest you do some research. I bought the 15.5 cf top freezer refrigerator. The compressor was so loud I had to return it. And it was not faulty. It literally woke me up at night. So I bought a Whirlpool and it is as quiet as it should be.

Get expert buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Purchased this GE fridge, basic model, no frills, in December of 2017. It never got all that cold, but at least it seemed to work. I bought the GE after a brand new Kenmore didn't work from the start and totally went out in 2 months. This GE seemed to at least keep things marginally cold (I kept a thermometer inside and it would hover just around 38 F. However, tonight it just stopped working. The light still goes on, but the fan/compressor does not. I tried turning the dial and nothing turned on. I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Nothing. No warning, nothing. So now all my food is going to spoil and I'm going to to have to try dealing with Best Buy tomorrow (a Saturday) and likely be told I have to contact GE, so I'll have NO food until at least next week. I'm currently trying to deal with a medical issue and the last thing I needed was for a 6 month old fridge to die without warning. Not happy. Will not be repurchasing GE appliance.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Our GE Profile French door fridge was an add-on when we purchased our home in 2015. Our builder offered only GE appliances, so this is what we ended up with. It was about a $3000 option, and I couldn't regret it more. It's now 3 years later, and we've had numerous issues with it not cooling and have lost hundreds of dollars of food as well as time wasted waiting for repairs. The only upside to any of this is that since it's a Profile, the cooling system is covered for 5 years. However, that does not come close to making up for having an appliance that I can not rely on to do its job!

About 8 months ago the entire cooling system was essentially rebuilt, thanks to an incompetent technician who cut a line while trying to make repairs. The freezer wasn't cooling, and as he was "fixing it" he cut a line, causing the entire fridge to stop cooling. So that meant about a week waiting for parts, etc. Yesterday the freezer stopped cooling, so I schedule yet another service call. Then this morning the fridge is not cooling. I've asked GE for credit to put towards a new fridge, but they refuse. The best they will do is $100 to cover lost food, and now they're sending me $125 for a mini fridge. The money they have spent on food coverage and warranty repairs could have just about paid for a new fridge. I'm at my wits end and have decided that after this next repair, it will go on Craigslist and I'll be shopping for a new fridge that is NOT a GE. For reference, the model number of my GE Profile is PFE28RSHESS.

Original review: June 12, 2018

We bought a new GE refrigerator/freezer 18 months ago. We also bought an extended warranty through Consumer Priority Service (CPS). When I woke up Friday, four days ago, the refrigerator/freezer was making a lot of noise. The temperature in the refrigerated section was in the mid-40s and the temperature in the freezer section was in the mid-30s. I called CPS at 9:00am to file a claim (they aren’t available for claims prior to 9:00am) and get it repaired before our food spoiled. No feedback from CPS on Friday nor over the weekend. Finally, at midday on Monday we received an email from CPS saying that GE Factory Service would contact me to schedule an appointment. No call or email from GE Factory Service on Monday.

However, I called GE on Monday and got a computer voice telling me “the next available operator will be with me shortly”. After this message looped for 15 minutes, I hung up and called CPS. They apologized and said they would call GE for me and get back to me. It is now late Tuesday morning and I didn’t get a call back from CPS nor was I contacted by GE. I called GE and finally got through. I can expect a repairman on Wednesday (day 5) sometime between 8:00am and noon. I will certainly NEVER buy a GE appliance again. This is our second service call since buying it 18 months ago. Regarding CPS, after reviewing and approving a claim, they will not allow a consumer to select a repair company and have the repair made ASAP. Five days for a refrigerator repair is unacceptable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: May 29, 2018

We purchased this refrigerator from the brick and had to wait for 6 weeks while they ordered it from the manufacturer which was GE, only to find out now 6 yrs later that GE passed a 4 yr old model instead of a brand new model and we have had problems ever since day 1 and have had it repaired several times and now again it is not working. Unfortunately GE is telling us there is nothing they can do and have apologized for any inconvenience. So now we are in the market for a new refrigerator which will not be a GE and want the public to know not to purchase their so called Monogram series as it is junk and the company is extremely difficult to deal with.

Original review: May 17, 2018

We purchased GE Profile Appliances when we bought our new home. The Microwave handle broke immediately and they sent us a new. The Icemaker on the Fridge went after 1 year and the Dishwasher did not clean well. Now after 6 years, the stove is the only thing that works well. I will not buy GE again.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Just under 5 years ago we purchased a brand new GE Profile fridge with bottom drawer freezer. This fridge worked great until about 3 months ago when it started making very loud humming noises. So loud that if you were in the kitchen you had to yell to be heard. Needless to say, it died. I was lucky and purchased the extended warranty but it still only covered parts and not the service. Bottom line is that even GE's top line products use bottom line components that won't last. In my opinion this should be a recall situation. Fridge product number is PFSS5RKZH SS. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!

Original review: May 10, 2018

Bought a brand new stainless steel refrigerator from Alabama Power and when they delivered it and plugged it in it set overnight and never did get cool. So they had to come pick it up and bring another one and now I haven't even had this new one long enough to make one payment on it the water filter supposedly is going out. My son has had his new refrigerator for several months now and he has not had this problem or any other problem with his new refrig. It's not a GE and if these problems continue I will let it go back before I pay over $1,000 for it. GE and Frigidaire and some of the other name brands need to stop making these products in Mexico and India and China and start manufacturing these refrigerators in America again instead of the cheap crap they are making! There needs to be class action lawsuits against selling stuff like this. I see slightly used Frigidaire and GE online every week for sale that is torn up!

Original review: May 8, 2018

I especially like the ice maker. Does make some noise when ice drops into container but not too loud. Makes ice pretty quickly. Also, like the look of the exterior of the refrigerator.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I love my refrigerator. It's GE brand and it came up with the house I bought. It's nice looking and has 2 door side by side. It has ice maker, filter running water, door alarm, lights, cold and warm water option.

Original review: May 3, 2018

"I AM SO DISAPPOINTED - NO WATER, ICE, CRUSHED, LIGHTS!" Review Rating 1 Stars Reviewed on 05/03/2018. Not Recommended. I took a long long time picking out a new refrigerator. I looked and looked and read reviews and looked some more. This GE Black Slate French Door had everything I wanted; an on the door ice maker, with cold water and crushed ice too.The lights inside were nice and bright, the drawers ran smoothly, and it seemed to be a quality machine. For the money, it seemed like the best choice. And then, after ONE MONTH, the water, ice, freezer lights, AND control panel STOPPED WORKING!

That was 3 weeks, and 2 repair men ago, and it's STILL BROKEN! I AM SO DISAPPOINTED that I bought this refrigerator, and I wanted to leave this review, because I read all the Five-Star reviews on here, and that was one reason I chose it. I hope someone else, who is fridge shopping, reads this, and I hope GE reads it too, because a brand new $2000.00+ refrigerator should not break IN THE FIRST MONTH! I wish I had bought the less-expensive Whirlpool or Frigidare. :-(

Original review: April 30, 2018

We have had two major breakdowns with this product. Electronic board went out in less than a year and now compressor went out. We have not even used it for a year being we have been gone part of the time. Terrible product piece of junk. Called GE and talked to customer relations and they are of no help and didn't admit there is a problem or a recall on it. We do have an extended warranty but GE needs to step up and fix their problems.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Fridge is great, 18.2 ft, wire shelves. The only thing I didnt like the air vents in the freezer are on the bottom cutting off putting items way in the back and the fan in the middle of top shelf, half to put short items in the middle top, and the vents in the fridge are on the bottom shelf in the back, cutting off storage bottom shelves. Other than that it's good.

Original review: April 28, 2018

GE PROFILE STAINLESS SXS fixed on average two times per year. After warranty ran out was paying trip charge and parts. Put on AHS after a couple of those at $75 per service 2x per year. Now keep in mind every time it went out I lost a couple of hundred more in food spoilage. $200-$300 each time. Today I wake up and water all over the floor and everything in it barely cool to the touch. I’m done. Will absolutely NEVER BUY A GE APPLIANCE AGAIN... don’t be fooled by PROFILE, it’s junk.

Original review: April 27, 2018

We have had our french door fridge for 2 years, and it has completely stopped working. The screen is still on, but water won't come out. The fridge and freezer no longer stay cold. We have a 5-year warranty. BUT to get someone to work on the fridge we have to wait a minimum of 2 days and then four hours for them to grace us with their presence. After waiting three days for an available appointment window, the serviceman was 30 minutes late. I guarantee this is due to horrible management on their part!

The call we got yesterday directed us to a completely computer operated system. When I did find a service number with a human, the best she could do was have her manager EMAIL dispatch. My alternative is to wait four more days and an even longer time window. How is this acceptable service! We should at least have the option to work with a third-party (which I was told I couldn't) who might get here more quickly. Is there seriously no better option!? How is this acceptable?

Original review: April 27, 2018

I purchase refrigerator @ P.C. Richards in co-op city 04/2017, In February I notice that the sides on Refrigerator was cracking, I went to 2/24/18 P.C. Richards. They sent tech to the house to evaluate Refrigerator. Tech came 3/2/18 & put Glue/Plaster over the cracks, I didn't like the way it looked, They just put Band-Aid over it! So I called G.E. Frigidaire warranty company, they send out tech 3/22/18 to evaluate Fridge. Tech G.E. removed the work that P.C. Richards did, Tech said he would call in 7 Days. I never received call, I called G.E Warranty 4/27/18.

Original review: April 22, 2018

We’re on our second GE Monogram refrigerator freezer. Big mistake buying the second one at a discount from GE. It’s less than six months old and breaking down already. Our last one broke down 4 times and GE couldn’t ever fix it. I wish we bought a different brand when we had to replace it. Coordinating repairs has been a nightmare. We lost all of our food to spoilage several times.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Cafe Line - Purchased Sept of 2017. I have been struggling with an ice maker that dispenses ice that ends up on my floor and has broken 5 glasses. Three GE techs have been out to fix the problem. All three have told me it is "a manufacturing flaw." Lots (12) of emails later I get an email that says. I will have to wait until the engineers come up with a solution. REALLY, To add insult, the salesman at Famous Tate's suggested I buy a warranty for the refrigerator. The warranty people will not honor the warranty because it is still under manufacture's warranty. I will never buy a GE appliance again.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Technician never shows up and is always running late. Have called to schedule over 3 times for them to repair a washing machine I bought a warranty for and 4 months later they still have not come out. Their call center is very unprofessional and so is their service, I will never order a GE appliance anymore. My honest opinion.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I purchased a new condominium in 2004 which came with a new built in GE Monogram refrigerator with the bottom drawer freezer. I am the only person using the refrigerator so it does not get heavy use and should last. After 10 years the refrigerator stopped working. I had to have the refrigerant, thermostats and fan all replaced for $1700 in 2014. Since then the repair company has had to return 5 more times to replace additional parts. At this point I could have purchased a new refrigerator. In three years I have not gone longer than 8 months without the refrigerator needing an additional repair. My neighbors who also have the GE Monogram refrigerator have experienced the same terrible quality with their refrigerators.

Original review: March 28, 2018

We purchased the a new GE side by side fridge from Homedepot.com with free delivery and we paid extra to have it installed and up and running (Had to buy the water hoses). Delivered on the 16th of January of this year and that’s where the trouble begins... Was told the delivery subcontractors couldn’t install the water to the fridge because it came from underneath the sink not behind the fridge (which was not stated online when we paid to have it installed). My husband was able to install the water line several hours later after the delivery, and as soon as the water came on the fridge started leaking from the water filter, thought it was just a fluke, cleaned it up and ran the water line like we were told, check inside and it was still leaking. Cleaned it up again and took out the filter and put it back in, check later still leaking. Placed a cup under it and called Home Depot, told to call the company who delivered the fridge.

Called delivery company, was told they would talk to the manager and would try to come out the next day to look at it. Two days go by, of dumping the cup of water 3-4 times a day, no call and no one came. Called the company who delivered the fridge to be told because they didn’t install the water line they didn’t feel it was their problem. A phone to explain that they were not going to do anything would have been nice! Called Home Depot back and was told to call GE directly, called the number he provided. Walked me through taking the filter out and putting in back in... Still leaking. I was then told it by GE it was a customer care issue and was transferred to a different department. Was told by the customer care that I would be getting a call back in 72 hours from a local repair company to schedule an appointment, as if I hadn’t waited enough.

Get a call and the technician comes out a week after we get the fridge and replaces the filter, problem fix, or so I thought! Fast forward to this weekend and we get a bill in mail from A&E factory repairs for 191.12 for the repairs on my brand new still under warranty fridge! Called the billing department listed on the bill 5 separate times, keep saying please hold for the next operator but after about 1 min it sends you to a voicemail, so I left a message. Heard nothing all day, called again the next day. Same thing, left another message and then called the other A&E number that was listed in the recording of the billing message and that’s when the crazy started! I get a customer rep with a strong accent, she got all my information and told me the reason I got a bill is because my fridge was no longer under warranty at the time of the repairs. How could that possible because had only had it for a week before the repairs were done!

She was in the middle of explaining my fridge was purchased in 2017 and no longer under warranty when my phone died. So I get my other phone and call the same number back, get another lady with an strong accent, tell her what happened in the first call and gave her my information. She also tells me my fridge was purchased in 2017 and no longer under warranty. I argue because I know when I purchased my new fridge. No offer to help, no trying to work with me, keep saying it said I purchased the fridge last year and it wasn’t covered under warranty so that’s why I was billed. I argued again as to when I purchased the fridge! She told me to contact my warranty provider because my fridge was purchased last year. So I call GE, talk to someone and was told A&E had my serial number wrong in the system, so it showed the wrong purchase date.

Then GE said they update the system but I would need to talk to GE billing to handle the bill, and was transferred. The billing department of GE went over my service called records and said I didn’t have a repair service scheduled, after I explained the whole story. She tried to send out another tech to fix the problem. I had to explain to her, I told her, "No the problem was fixed. I was just trying to figure out why I was billed." She wanted to find out what happened because she didn’t want this to happen to someone else. She said they sent it over to A&E as a warranty call and was unsure as to what happened on their end, told me she

was going to call A&E billing and asks to place me on hold, I told her good luck because I couldn’t get a person from billing. While sitting on hold I go over the bill from A&E again and notice that my serial number for my fridge is listed on the bill, the correct one!

She comes back, I tell her about the bill having the right serial number and she kind of brushes it off and said she talk to someone in A&E billing but I need to wait for a call back from the number I called several times and never got an answer, I might have to wait a couple of days. Why she didn’t just transfer me if she got a person I have no idea. I finally got a call back later that day for the original billing number from the bill that I called first and left messages at. I was told she just handles payments, do I want to make a payment? I told her, "No, I wanted to make sure my billing was fixed," she gave me another number to call, because she only handles taking payments. So I call that number she provides me for the billing department, get a man with a strong accent, who told me this time the filter isn’t covered by the warranty, I should have only been charged for the new filter not the man hours to put the filter in.

I argued, "How is that not covered, it was a brand new fridge and the paperwork from the fridge is telling me it is in the first 30 days for a new fridge it is!" He again just told me it’s not covered and tried to again tell me I purchased it last year, and that I should only be charged for the filter and I need to create a claim number to find out why I was charged the other amount. I again argued, "I know when I purchased my fridge and GE told me it was covered by warranty!" I told him, "I wasn’t waiting 3 days. I wanted this taking care of that day, let me talk to someone else above you." I was told no one was available and that I need to call GE back and go over my warranty with them again. I said, "How can that be," and, "This was getting crazy. All day I was told it’s the other company’s fault and to call them!" I stated again I wanted to speak to a manager or a supervisor. I was told no one is above him that could handle this problem!

I finally had enough of him. Ended my called. So I then called GE back and got the customer complaint line, because this was ridiculous and they are the ones that use A&E for service of their products. I get that number and call it. I again explain the whole story of receiving the fridge, paying to have it installed and not getting it installed, the water leaking, the runaround about getting it fix, getting a bill for a new fridge repair, being told I bought the fridge last year, then being told they had the wrong serial number even though it showed the right one on the bill and told by A&E to call GE and vice versa. She then tried to tell me she would have to investigate issue and could take a week, but the filter isn’t covers under the warranty! Again I told her that isn’t what it said in the paperwork I received with the new fridge. It said 30 day warranty in new filter with new filter replacement if found faulty.

She tried to say that it didn’t cover if the water wasn’t installed properly. I argued how could it have not been installed properly, all the tech did was remove the old filter and put a new one in! He did nothing to the water line and it hasn’t leaked since! She then explain she’s not trying to go against what I say, she’s just letting me know the facts and again said the filter's not covered under the warranty (even though it is stated in writing that it is)! So I gave my information to her and copy of the bill from A&E and end the call because I had other things to do with my day to deal with the worst customer service in history (from both companies)! I will also never buy another GE product or use A&E factory repairs and I am telling everyone one I know to do the same!

Original review: March 11, 2018

I bought my GE side by side Refrigerator 25 years ago. Still going strong. Never had not one problem out of none of my GE appliances Clothes washer, Dryer, Freezer, Smooth top stove. My mother would only buy GE, so do I!

Original review: March 8, 2018

I love GE! Bought fridge, stove and dishwasher in the 1990's and had it for 20 years. Never repaired and always worked great. We did an overhaul on the fridge once ourselves. The fridge and stove like I said never repaired. Dishwasher died years ago. We gave the fridge and stove away because we were tired of looking at it and bought new. We were told that even high end appliances will never last 20 years in today's world. Those days are long gone!

Original review: March 3, 2018

I don’t believe I would ever give GE a cent of my money in the future! So much for my property renovations... Won’t be GE. Apparently the loud “grinding noise” which is new here and the waves in my very expensive stainless steel doors are to be expected. Not what I paid over 10K for!?

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Installed GE Cabinet Depth Fridge. Not Cheap. Quiet and works until water or ice maker springs a leak. Valves next to electronics. Water line plastic, bursts 3 times. Blew circuit board. $$ Hundreds later... line burst again. SEE Pictures. Should not have electronics next to electrical or maybe used copper or higher quality water line.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I had to replace the ice maker's bin. It was easier than ordering the parts and paying someone to install them. The auger broke into pieces and I had shards of plastic mixed in with my ice upon dispensing. Noticed upon drinking out of a glass! So, replaced the ice bin. Constant problems with no ice cubes, only crushed ice. Then vice versa. I will never buy another GE product again. The refrigerator was only 5 years old.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I like the GE refrigerators with the double shelves. It is easier to fit different height items and easier to organize. But I haven't found one in my price range yet.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

We had problems with the refrigerator from day 1 but I feel even under warranty GE did not stand behind their product and customer satisfaction as they used to. We have lost certainly hundreds of dollars of food between portions of the refrigerator freezing while portions of the freezer are not cold enough. The GE certified repairmen would look at the temp on the door and insist "it must be fine," despite the frozen food (milk, vegetables, etc) in the refrigerator portion. Grew up with GE but I will NOT purchase another refrigerator or appliance from them.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Since purchasing the refrigerator we have replaced 3 drawers at different intervals, the spiral rod in the freezer ice tray was replaced 4 months ago, and now the water dispenser does not work. I am very disappointed in this product.

GE Washing Machines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

GE, or General Electric, is an American appliance manufacturer headquartered in Fairfield, Connecticut. The company ranks as the 26th largest firm in the United States, according to the Fortune 500.

• Energy efficiency: General Electric refrigerators are mostly Energy Star appliances, which means big savings for users and a 20 percent improvement over standard refrigerators.

• Features: GE refrigerators offer a number of unique features, such as digital water dispenser readouts and temperature-controlled drawers.

• Capacity: GE offers a wide range of storage capacities in its models, ranging from 4 cubic feet to more than 26 cubic feet.

• Styles: GE has many different styles of refrigerators, from bottom-door freezers to French doors and everything in between.

• Handicap accessible: Some of GE's fridges are designed to make them easier for handicapped people to use.

• Best for: Consumers who need a reliable refrigerator for home use and like a wide variety of options.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs