2. Homeowners

GE Refrigerators

GE Refrigerators
Shop on Appliances Connection
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.96/5

GE appliances come with a traditional warranty, but the company also offers extended coverage with a Service Protection Advantage plan from Assurant, GE’s authorized provider of extended warranties. The plan covers parts and labor for appliance repairs for an extended period. Customers pick and choose which appliances or systems need to be covered.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

GE Refrigerators Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Refrigerators?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

I spoke to someone in the customer relations department after contacting GE cares. Our GE refrigerator purchased 16 months ago had malfunctioned. Within minutes of explaining the problem GE located my file in their system. They immediately extended the manufacturer warranty as a courtesy. I didn’t have an extended warranty but GE arranged to have the service technician come to my house to repair, what he discovered was a broken fan, in less than 24 hours at no cost. While the likelihood of a fairly new appliance needing repair is rare, the service technician did explain that repairs needed with GE appliances does keep him very busy. I am thankful for their CARE and saving my Thanksgiving turkey!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

I like this refrigerator a lot and it broke only one time and it was about $220 to fix which wasn’t bad. The only problem is that sometimes things in the refrigerator part get really cold almost to the point where it is almost frozen. We are not sure why this happens and we had a service person come to check it out and he said we can’t put a lot of things against the back wall of the fridge so we try not to do that and so far it hasn’t froze anything. But I do like the style of our refrigerator and we had this fridge for 10 years.

Get buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I have 2 GE's both the same model. One of them has a noise in the freezer after a few months of use. You hear it in the bedroom. Years later, still works. The size is good for 2 people only. The other is upstairs apartment. The problem with this fridge is RUST!!!! The white finish is horribly speckled with red rust spots. Not very attractive. These fridges were entry level. Bought at Home Depot for around $3-400$. each. Today, unfortunately, ALMOST everything you buy, especially American made, is junk! No more quality, and will get worse. My advice? Get the cheapest items you can find, check all reviews on product, then make decision based on cheapest.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

My prior GE ref was 13 years old. New one, now four months old, has cut my electric bill by 40%, runs much more quietly. It is a 15.3 cu feet side-by-side; the top area of the refer side has a bulky light cover that interferes with what you can put on the top shelf. The pockets on the inside door of the freezer side are a bit too small. But, all things considered, it's a great unit and I'd probably buy it again, considering the price.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

We lost our old refrigerator to a lightning strike and had to get a new one ASAP, and it had to be counter depth, a great ice maker, side by side, and not be a SS finish. My wife and I hated our old SS one but liked everything else on the old unit so we went looking for a new one that met these requirements. What a chore, this was not an easy unit to find as most everything now has a bottom type freezer. This was defiantly out of the question.

We also have a Frigidaire in our garage and it is so loud I can hear it even with a car running beside it, so that brand was out of the question. Our choices were limited but we found a slate black GE side by side counter depth and had it delivered. What a great find. This is quiet and the configuration is well laid out and the black slate finish is just the thing with a lot of people using the system. We get a lot of company as weekend guest and have not ran out of ice once. The system is six months old not as we are pleased with everything, but would have liked to see just a little more room on the door shelves, but the lower drawer takes the overflow of almost everything we seldom use. I would buy this one again in a heartbeat.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

We had an old GE refrigerator that stopped working. Bought a new one that had the same specifications (side by side) and apparently assembled in Mexico. It arrived after 4 weeks and during the first month showed overflow of ice and could not be fixed. Asked for replacement, another 4 weeks and the same problem, the technician came and could not fix it. In addition to this problem for which decided to turn on and off for ice making! All the edges of racks and containers are so sharp you have to put tape. Now when you adjust it to the recommended temp everything gets frozen and if you increase one degree it gets hot!!!! Please do not waste your????

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

I purchased 3 GE (Cafe line) appliances 6 year ago and they have been problems since day one. The fridge: froze all my vegetables, eggs and everything that was in that section. GE was good enough to replace. We are now having problems again whereby it does not keep anything in the fridge cold and have wasted more food. The freezer part works ok. The ice maker is problematic also and we never have enough ice. The Dishwasher: does not clean dishes properly even though I clean it regularly with dishwasher cleaner. It smells when I open it. The gas range: I have had to replace one of the elements in one of the ovens (at my cost). When self cleaning, when it nears the 2 hour mark it starts to make a loud noise, therefore, I have to turn it off and it does not clean all the dirt. I bought these appliances because I thought that GE was a good make. I guess I was mistaken. I miss my Kenmore appliances which lasted decades.

Original review: July 8, 2020

We thought this was a great refrigerator when we bought it in February, 2019 until a few days after we passed the deadline to return it. That is when we started noticing its shortcomings. Here are the problems:

1. You cannot put anything on the back of the middle shelves of the refrigerator because they will freeze solid. This is at the recommended 37-degree setting. All the cooling comes down a vent in the back middle and hits anything near it. Yes, I said the refrigerator freezes food.

2. The top refrigerator shelf bracket is 12 inches from the top of the refrigerator. That is a lot of wasted space. I made an extra shelf out of a kitchen rack to utilize the space effectively.

3. The refrigerator shelves are frequently coated with moisture.

4. The refrigerator drawers frequently jam when moving them in or out.

5. The icemaker freezes the ice cubes into an unbreakable iceberg clump. I must dump the entire tray about once a week to be able to reach into the ice tray to grab a handful of ice cubes for my thermos. Once it is dumped, the icemaker starts making ice, but you cannot get it for a couple of hours until it has made several batches. The ice tray design prevents the auger from touching the ice, so you cannot get it from the ice dispenser. It is extremely difficult to get your hand under the auger to get even one or two cubes.

6. The crushed ice dispenser frequently dispenses nearly whole cubes.

7. The freezer shelf bracket design is inadequate. The refrigerator has shelf brackets 2 inches apart for easy adjustment to your needs. But the freezer brackets only allow two choices, either 11 or 13 inches apart. The closest you can put the bottom shelf to the basket on the bottom is 19 inches. That is a lot of wasted space, and you must stack items too deep, and as a result they fall out frequently. I made a new shelf for the area to use the space effectively.

8. The freezer door bins are too shallow, limiting what you can put in them. Usually only one frozen meal, unlike my old fridge that would hold two.

9. The fridge is noisier than you would expect for a new fridge.

10. They recommend replacing the $49.99 water filter every six months. I find it difficult to believe that our public water system contains that many impurities.

11. This one is my favorite. They have added a device to help close the refrigerator and freezer doors. When you give the door a push, expecting it to close like a normal refrigerator, it stops with the door half open. It is a good thing there is a door alarm. We frequently hear the alarm unless we remember to push the door past the “door closer”.

This is a candidate for the world’s worst refrigerator. It is way worse than any I have ever heard of. I am 80 years old and this one has more problems than all the other refrigerators I have owned or used in my entire life. Based on GE’s own reviews that I have read, I can expect a lot of part failures and other problems to add to my list in the future. So far, I have been lucky, but expect new aggravating things in the future. I have avoided buying the warranty that they way too frequently offer by email. I keep hoping the refrigerator will totally fail, so I then must buy a new, easily better one in almost every way. You will probably not publish this review. It is unlikely that any prudent individual reading it would ever buy this GE GSS25GGHWW model refrigerator.

Original review: June 28, 2020

We bought a few new GE Air conditioners, they asked me to review them, I gave an honest review, and they blocked me from posting it, because it wasn't 5 stars and full of all good lies. So I will post my review for all to see here then. Has a few flaws, but works for now. We will never buy another GE product! Pros- When it's cooling, it's really cold, we love that, has some pretty decent airflow, not super loud, easy to install, works great with remote and via phone app.

Cons- never seems to work with Google or Alexa, it's a pain, so we don't even bother. The thermostat just seems off, but this is now the 3rd GE we've had that works the same. Let me explain, you set it. For 73 and the room will drop to 71/72, but instead of holding that temp, the compressor turns off, and will not turn back on until the room hits 77, that's just weird and not how any other brand AC we've ever used works. Makes the room very uncomfortable with that big of a temperature swing. Happens whether on cool or eco, we usually just keep it on cool. Also the settings do not stay after you turn it off, always goes back to to eco/auto fan.

Original review: June 15, 2020

I recently replaced my 20 yo Kitchenaid refrigerator w/ a GE. What a disappointment. I never heard my Kitchenaid but as I sit in my livingroom, all I can hear is this GE motor. I called Wickford appliance and shared my experience. There will be a 20% restocking fee which is an additional $500 to get rid of this thing. I hate to do it but this humming noise is awful. I have a Bosch dishwasher that is dead quiet. How could GE allow such a noisy fridge? Doesn't this company have a quality control department? What a disappointment and a hefty added expense. Barbara **

GE Washing Machines author review by ConsumerAffairs

GE, or General Electric, is an American appliance manufacturer headquartered in Fairfield, Connecticut. The company ranks as the 26th largest firm in the United States, according to the Fortune 500.

• Energy efficiency: General Electric refrigerators are mostly Energy Star appliances, which means big savings for users and a 20 percent improvement over standard refrigerators.

• Features: GE refrigerators offer a number of unique features, such as digital water dispenser readouts and temperature-controlled drawers.

• Capacity: GE offers a wide range of storage capacities in its models, ranging from 4 cubic feet to more than 26 cubic feet.

• Styles: GE has many different styles of refrigerators, from bottom-door freezers to French doors and everything in between.

• Handicap accessible: Some of GE's fridges are designed to make them easier for handicapped people to use.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team