2.48/5
Based on 141 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1729 GE Refrigerators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I bought this GE refrigerator model #GTE 16DTHMRWW in June of 2018. I actually had liked the refrigerator pretty well, till I put some meat in it to unthaw. Of course it leaked on the glass shelf even though I had it in a bag. I just figured I would clean it up, no problem. Well you cannot clean it because it seeped between the layers. I called service and she told me it would cost me 98.00 to replace. I really feel this is a design flaw and they should replace it at least once. They also should work on replacing it with one you can wash. I have always bought other brands and never had this problem. I guess my next step is the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

We purchased our fridge in 2015 and spent $1300. Today we need to purchase another already! Apparently this is a sealed system defect that GE only warranties on select models. Overall, a very bad experience and I would research other companies.

Get expert buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I have a GE bottom freezer fridge that was purchase in August of 2013. We are just going through our third service call on this fridge that is not even 5 years old. This time, the problem is a manufacturing defect that is well known by the service person working on it. Repairs are going to be in excess of $400, he had to order parts and we are waiting for his second trip out here. The problem is freezing of the coil in the fridge. It is a design flaw they know about, to fix it, they are doing a software update to increase the defrost time and frequency (decreasing efficiency) and replacing an "air column". Plastic framework on the back of the fridge that is where the cold air flows.

Seems the present design causes moisture to accumulate which freezes up the coils and eventually burns up the fan too. The air column is not broken but they charge over $200 just for the piece of plastic, not including installation. They have a design flaw and they are making it into a profit center. They make a bunch of money by producing a poorly designed system and then charging a whole bunch of money to everyone that bought the fridge to fix their screw up.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I purchased a Profile GE refrigerator in June of 2017 at Home Depot. In May of 2018 the ice maker stopped working and the refrigerator started freezing my food. I call GE beginning May 5th or so. The 1st time I called went ok. They set up a service call and it was suppose to take place the next week. The day before the service call was to take place I got a call from GE. They said they believed I needed to replace my ice bucket and they would send me one. My son was in the hospital and I was not too concerned with the ice maker problem. Once he was better I thought how stupid I had been to let them cancel my service call because a new bucket would not fix the problem because it was not making ice. So back on the phone and any time you call GE and no matter what department you call, you are on hold for well over an hour.

Now this customer service rep tells me I need to go in and reset the ice maker. I told her I had done that with the last rep who said I needed a new bucket, but I did it anyway and she was able to tell me I needed a new ice maker and she was going to send one right out to me. I said, "Ok but how will it be installed?" She said, "Oh you can do it. It only takes 2 screws." I said, "Are you serious? You really expect me to install an ice maker that is under factory warranty?" She said, "Well yes. It only takes 2 screws." She just kept insisting I install this ice maker myself. I finally said, "Ok. I tell you what. You send me a letter in writing that if I install this ice maker on a refrigerator that is under factory warranty, That my warranty will not be void. I will do." "Well I cannot do that" she said. I said, "Well I am not going to install an ice maker either and I want a service repairman out here."

Well of course it took a week for the repairman to get here and then another week AND 1/2 for the parts to come in that the repairman ordered, then another week for him to come back out, he installed the parts and in a week I still had no ice, food still freezing. I call GE customer relations and get a case worker and a claim #. He follows up and I told him the repair was done and I still was having the same issue. He says he will get someone back out here, and a week later A&E {this is who they sent the 1st time} shows up different guy. He comes in, looks at the freezer, looks at the fridge and messes with the controls and say to me, "Ice maker been in hot warehouse and then in hot truck. It hot out so it will take a while for it cool down to work." I said, "Even if that was the case It has been in place for a week."

So back on the phone with GE, this time they tell me the repairman has not turned in his report and I had to wait for that, well I emailed the customer relations case worker and he would not respond to me, my calls or emails. I called in and requested to speak with a supervisor. After at least a hour and 1/2 hold the lady told me she found a supervisor and was putting me through. After another 30-40 minutes she comes back on the phone and says they are willing to switch out the refrigerator for a new one and offered 100.00 for food loss. All after I had to let them know I had no problem contacting an Attorney.

On July the 12th they bring out the new refrigerator. On July 23rd I get up and all of my food is frozen. Once again on the phone with GE and I told them I wanted my money back and was told I needed to take that up with Home Depot, not them. GE the supervisor I spoke with was a rude jerk. After arguing with the jerk for 30 minutes he made an appointment for yet another service call again with A&E. The tech for A&E showed up on Friday the 27th and it is the same idiot who said the ice maker needed to cool down. He looked in the refrigerator, does a laser temp and it shows the shelves at 31 degrees, he looks at me and say you need to put meat there, no other explanation. I told GE they better not send that fool to my house again. GE sends out another repair group today and of course they have to order parts and then come back, so another week or more without a refrigerator.

This will be the last time I deal with them. I am going to contact an attorney. I paid for a refrigerator and paid lots of money for it, and for me to have to go through all of this mess is not right. They got their money and I have done nothing but lose money. GE said I have to go through Home Depot to get my money back and Home Depot said, "Once it is out our door not our problem." So who is going to take responsibility. So here it is almost the 1st of Aug and I am still dealing with this and still don't have a refrigerator that is working properly!!! Just unbelievable.

Original review: July 30, 2018

We purchased a GE French Door, Bottom Freezer Refrigerator (2017. Model # GNE25JSKCFSS). Before the warranty expired, the inside of the wall panels started cracking. There are now three locations that are cracking, the cracks are growing, and it does not appear to be stopping. I contacted GE regarding repair. They came to the house and technician stated there was no repair for the cracking of interior panels. He gave us a case number and stated he was turning his report in to engineering. The first issue, GE never contacted us back. When I finally called GE three weeks later, a CSR said that GE does not warranty cosmetic items and was dismissive to my concerns. I spoke with a second CSR, who clearly didn't understand the nature of the cracks that were occurring at the insert corners on the internal panels.

This is not cosmetic. The cracks are spreading and there are 4 of them at points where GE inserted the light, and at the top of the back insert. Our warranty states "One Year from date of purchase: Any part of the refrigerator which fails due to a defect in materials or workmanship during this limited one-year warranty, GE Appliance will also, free of charge all labor and related service to replace the defective part". This may or may not affect the operation of the refrigerator but the cracks appear to be continuing, spreading now almost entirely across the top of our interior panel.

The only thing GE offered is to provide a discount on the purchase of a replacement unit at close to the cost of a new refrigerator (An additional $1300 out of pocket to us). I believe this is due to the way this unit was built, but regardless, GE does not state anything regarding cosmetic issues like structural cracks that I was able to see in the warranty.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: July 28, 2018

Wife and I decided to update all our appliances in 2014. Started doing some research trying to decide which brand would be best to buy. I deliver for UPS and deliver to an appliance repairman so I decided he would be a good place to start. First off he said not to buy LG or Samsung. They are made in China and are difficult to get parts for. He said he has waited for months trying to get parts. So we narrowed it down to Whirlpool or GE. We decided to go with GE since they were supposed to be made in the US. Shortly after we found out that they had taken their production overseas. So we went to local store and found that GE had some rebates going. Buy 5 appliances and get 750.00 back in rebates. Bought washer, dryer, dishwasher, gas stove, and refrigerator. Of course it still wasn’t cheap even with rebate!

Within the first month the refrigerator went out. Repairman came twice and still couldn’t fix it. The company we bought it from finally just replaced it. Before the end of the year the washer started making a noise. It sounded like a freight train was coming through the house. Repairman came and diagnosed the problem but had to order parts. It was fixed a few days later.

Fast forward another year. The clothes dryer started making a popping noise after a few minutes of heating up. Thank goodness we had bought an extended warranty upon purchase. Called company and they sent repairman back out. He called GE and they refused to fix the dryer because it was still working. Now a few months later the noise has gotten so bad you can hear it throughout the house. I know it will only be a matter of time before it goes completely out. Hopefully my warranty will still be in effect. Pretty sad when you buy 5 new appliances and 3 of them go out within 3 years. Not sure what brand I would buy at this point but I know it would not be GE. You have problems and they refuse to fix them?

Original review: July 27, 2018

Very displeased with our GE French door refrigerator with ice/water dispenser in door, model #GFE24JMKBFES. We purchased the refrigerator in July 2017. It has been repaired twice. The freezer fan runs extremely loud, unbelievably can't hear the television, kind of loud. The first repairman advised me this was due to ice build up and that this is a known problem with "this fridge". He then advised me to unplug the refrigerator for several hours so the ice would melt. He then chipped away all the ice that was built up around the fan. This worked for about a month then we called again. The second repairman also chipped all the ice away and stated, "What do you expect, it's a GE?". This time it worked for a few months but started running loudly again and now it won't cool or freeze.

I would not recommend this model. I have family members that also own GE French door without ice/water dispenser and they have had no issues whatsoever. Prior to having problems with this fridge, I purchased another model GE French door fridge for another home and have had no problems at all. My bad experience is with this particular model. GE should address this issue. I do not feel "unplugging a fridge for several hours" for a $2000 fridge is an acceptable solution.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I purchased all new appliances GE profile for my home. I would strongly recommend no one waste their money on a GE. The refrigerator and dishwasher are in a race to see what one will finally die after two years of use. The side by side refrigerator started having its first issues. Noise. No ice within 6 months. Now the fridge can only maintain a temperature of 60 degrees :/. The dishwasher likes to not drain completely. I have 2 people in the house and my appliances get very light use. Finding parts for the refrigerator is impossible. They are out of stock or discontinued. The repair guy didn't even show up. Just told me "yeah they go bad all the time". I have had many appliances in my time and have never been soooo disappointed in the quality that have posted a review. I don't understand why such a poor quality appliance is made!

Original review: July 18, 2018

Purchased GE Profile refrigerator with the Keurig unit. There has been constant issues with the ice maker. I have had repaired when the fan replaced several times. The ice maker works for a couple of weeks and then you cannot get water or ice because the unit is frozen. This is the worst refrigerator for this price! It is nothing but trouble! Luckily I bought the five year warranty and with this refrigerator, you need a warranty!! I will never purchase another GE and regret the day I purchased this one!!

Original review: July 15, 2018

The original gasket on the left door of my ZFGB21HZCSS Monogram GE fridge has flaps. The right one does not. They are not identical. The flaps on the left door gasket broke loose and are hanging. The fridge has been discontinued. GE website has part # WR14X10237 as the gasket for both doors! I called GE parts and the associate insists was uninformed, saying the website shows they are the same. The original's gaskets are not identical. The left one has flaps. The right one does not. I asked if they have been redesigned. She said, "No they are the same gasket", and asked "do you want to order or not?!"

The website does NOT provide a contact information for a technician to get clarification and help. All reviewers have had the same problem. If GE cares, they would reach out to all reviewers on their own website with concrete information to resolve the problem. Instead, their replies is, "Call for one of our convenient technician to come and fix it" -- as if this changing a gasket is rocket science. This experience gives me a very bad feeling about GE and their customer care.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I purchased GE washer, only one year after, it gone dead. I therefore have to buy new Whirlpool washer instead of. Thus far, no problem at all after 8 years. Also, I had Whirlpool refrigerator. After used 11 years no issue. Then purchased GE due to promotion. That GE refrigerator was only use 7 years. Then have freezer is not cold anymore, and not fixable at all. My advise that never ever buy GE appliances.

Original review: July 5, 2018

After being told repair of the sealed system in our $3,000 LG refrigerator would be over $500.00 if we could even get the parts, and getting absolutely no help from LG customer Service, we junked our 5-year-old refrigerator. We were afraid of getting burned again and decided on a moderately priced GE French door model. It was delivered less than a week ago and produced no ice in the icemaker. I called the retailer and was told to reset it by unplugging and re-plugging, still nothing.

It had now been 5 days and I again called the retailer on July 5th, 2018. I was told service would not be open until Monday the 8th, and I would hear from someone then. I am so disappointed. The quality of GE appliances has apparently declined significantly. I do not want to go through another drawn-out battle over another faulty appliance. All of the terrible reviews on this page have me very worried and disgusted. Why can't manufacturers produce a quality product that lasts??? So tired of this!!! I do not need another expensive paperweight!

Original review: June 29, 2018

When we remodeled 6 years ago, we bought all new GE Profile appliances. Last month, our refrigerator stopped working. The GE repairman gave us a $750 repair estimate. Because the new hasn’t even worn off and because I want my appliances to match, I opted to repair rather than buy a new one. I ordered the parts and was told that one was backordered, which I find ridiculous. Does that mean so many other refrigerators have quit working that they can't even keep the parts in stock? I have now been waiting 6 weeks and just received another email saying they don't know when it will be shipped. They also say it takes 7-14 business days to get the part once it ships, which is also ridiculous. I will be without a refrigerator for at least two months... and who knows how much longer. I will never buy a GE appliance again.

Original review: June 18, 2018

In my lifetime I have owned only a few refrigerators (I am 81) because most of them lasted 20 years or more. I even had one GE fridge, purchased in 1965, that lasted over 25 years and was still running when I gave it away. Because I had success in the past with GE refrigerators, I bought a new one less than two years ago. The light goes on but it neither cools nor freezes. Furthermore, when one calls GE for help, one finds out that they cannot help you for a full two weeks. Their standards have certainly lowered and are practically nonexistent. I am considering just calling this one a lost cause and buying a new refrigerator to replace it. The new fridge will NOT be a GE. Just because you can build a fridge that talks doesn't mean you should. Just build one that freezes and cools!

Original review: June 17, 2018

Before buying GE refrigerators I strongly suggest you do some research. I bought the 15.5 cf top freezer refrigerator. The compressor was so loud I had to return it. And it was not faulty. It literally woke me up at night. So I bought a Whirlpool and it is as quiet as it should be.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Purchased this GE fridge, basic model, no frills, in December of 2017. It never got all that cold, but at least it seemed to work. I bought the GE after a brand new Kenmore didn't work from the start and totally went out in 2 months. This GE seemed to at least keep things marginally cold (I kept a thermometer inside and it would hover just around 38 F. However, tonight it just stopped working. The light still goes on, but the fan/compressor does not. I tried turning the dial and nothing turned on. I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Nothing. No warning, nothing. So now all my food is going to spoil and I'm going to to have to try dealing with Best Buy tomorrow (a Saturday) and likely be told I have to contact GE, so I'll have NO food until at least next week. I'm currently trying to deal with a medical issue and the last thing I needed was for a 6 month old fridge to die without warning. Not happy. Will not be repurchasing GE appliance.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Our GE Profile French door fridge was an add-on when we purchased our home in 2015. Our builder offered only GE appliances, so this is what we ended up with. It was about a $3000 option, and I couldn't regret it more. It's now 3 years later, and we've had numerous issues with it not cooling and have lost hundreds of dollars of food as well as time wasted waiting for repairs. The only upside to any of this is that since it's a Profile, the cooling system is covered for 5 years. However, that does not come close to making up for having an appliance that I can not rely on to do its job!

About 8 months ago the entire cooling system was essentially rebuilt, thanks to an incompetent technician who cut a line while trying to make repairs. The freezer wasn't cooling, and as he was "fixing it" he cut a line, causing the entire fridge to stop cooling. So that meant about a week waiting for parts, etc. Yesterday the freezer stopped cooling, so I schedule yet another service call. Then this morning the fridge is not cooling. I've asked GE for credit to put towards a new fridge, but they refuse. The best they will do is $100 to cover lost food, and now they're sending me $125 for a mini fridge. The money they have spent on food coverage and warranty repairs could have just about paid for a new fridge. I'm at my wits end and have decided that after this next repair, it will go on Craigslist and I'll be shopping for a new fridge that is NOT a GE. For reference, the model number of my GE Profile is PFE28RSHESS.

Original review: June 12, 2018

We bought a new GE refrigerator/freezer 18 months ago. We also bought an extended warranty through Consumer Priority Service (CPS). When I woke up Friday, four days ago, the refrigerator/freezer was making a lot of noise. The temperature in the refrigerated section was in the mid-40s and the temperature in the freezer section was in the mid-30s. I called CPS at 9:00am to file a claim (they aren’t available for claims prior to 9:00am) and get it repaired before our food spoiled. No feedback from CPS on Friday nor over the weekend. Finally, at midday on Monday we received an email from CPS saying that GE Factory Service would contact me to schedule an appointment. No call or email from GE Factory Service on Monday.

However, I called GE on Monday and got a computer voice telling me “the next available operator will be with me shortly”. After this message looped for 15 minutes, I hung up and called CPS. They apologized and said they would call GE for me and get back to me. It is now late Tuesday morning and I didn’t get a call back from CPS nor was I contacted by GE. I called GE and finally got through. I can expect a repairman on Wednesday (day 5) sometime between 8:00am and noon. I will certainly NEVER buy a GE appliance again. This is our second service call since buying it 18 months ago. Regarding CPS, after reviewing and approving a claim, they will not allow a consumer to select a repair company and have the repair made ASAP. Five days for a refrigerator repair is unacceptable.

Original review: May 29, 2018

We purchased this refrigerator from the brick and had to wait for 6 weeks while they ordered it from the manufacturer which was GE, only to find out now 6 yrs later that GE passed a 4 yr old model instead of a brand new model and we have had problems ever since day 1 and have had it repaired several times and now again it is not working. Unfortunately GE is telling us there is nothing they can do and have apologized for any inconvenience. So now we are in the market for a new refrigerator which will not be a GE and want the public to know not to purchase their so called Monogram series as it is junk and the company is extremely difficult to deal with.

Original review: May 17, 2018

We purchased GE Profile Appliances when we bought our new home. The Microwave handle broke immediately and they sent us a new. The Icemaker on the Fridge went after 1 year and the Dishwasher did not clean well. Now after 6 years, the stove is the only thing that works well. I will not buy GE again.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Just under 5 years ago we purchased a brand new GE Profile fridge with bottom drawer freezer. This fridge worked great until about 3 months ago when it started making very loud humming noises. So loud that if you were in the kitchen you had to yell to be heard. Needless to say, it died. I was lucky and purchased the extended warranty but it still only covered parts and not the service. Bottom line is that even GE's top line products use bottom line components that won't last. In my opinion this should be a recall situation. Fridge product number is PFSS5RKZH SS. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!

Original review: May 10, 2018

Bought a brand new stainless steel refrigerator from Alabama Power and when they delivered it and plugged it in it set overnight and never did get cool. So they had to come pick it up and bring another one and now I haven't even had this new one long enough to make one payment on it the water filter supposedly is going out. My son has had his new refrigerator for several months now and he has not had this problem or any other problem with his new refrig. It's not a GE and if these problems continue I will let it go back before I pay over $1,000 for it. GE and Frigidaire and some of the other name brands need to stop making these products in Mexico and India and China and start manufacturing these refrigerators in America again instead of the cheap crap they are making! There needs to be class action lawsuits against selling stuff like this. I see slightly used Frigidaire and GE online every week for sale that is torn up!

Original review: May 8, 2018

I especially like the ice maker. Does make some noise when ice drops into container but not too loud. Makes ice pretty quickly. Also, like the look of the exterior of the refrigerator.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I love my refrigerator. It's GE brand and it came up with the house I bought. It's nice looking and has 2 door side by side. It has ice maker, filter running water, door alarm, lights, cold and warm water option.

Original review: May 3, 2018

"I AM SO DISAPPOINTED - NO WATER, ICE, CRUSHED, LIGHTS!" Review Rating 1 Stars Reviewed on 05/03/2018. Not Recommended. I took a long long time picking out a new refrigerator. I looked and looked and read reviews and looked some more. This GE Black Slate French Door had everything I wanted; an on the door ice maker, with cold water and crushed ice too.The lights inside were nice and bright, the drawers ran smoothly, and it seemed to be a quality machine. For the money, it seemed like the best choice. And then, after ONE MONTH, the water, ice, freezer lights, AND control panel STOPPED WORKING!

That was 3 weeks, and 2 repair men ago, and it's STILL BROKEN! I AM SO DISAPPOINTED that I bought this refrigerator, and I wanted to leave this review, because I read all the Five-Star reviews on here, and that was one reason I chose it. I hope someone else, who is fridge shopping, reads this, and I hope GE reads it too, because a brand new $2000.00+ refrigerator should not break IN THE FIRST MONTH! I wish I had bought the less-expensive Whirlpool or Frigidare. :-(

Original review: April 30, 2018

We have had two major breakdowns with this product. Electronic board went out in less than a year and now compressor went out. We have not even used it for a year being we have been gone part of the time. Terrible product piece of junk. Called GE and talked to customer relations and they are of no help and didn't admit there is a problem or a recall on it. We do have an extended warranty but GE needs to step up and fix their problems.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Fridge is great, 18.2 ft, wire shelves. The only thing I didnt like the air vents in the freezer are on the bottom cutting off putting items way in the back and the fan in the middle of top shelf, half to put short items in the middle top, and the vents in the fridge are on the bottom shelf in the back, cutting off storage bottom shelves. Other than that it's good.

Original review: April 28, 2018

GE PROFILE STAINLESS SXS fixed on average two times per year. After warranty ran out was paying trip charge and parts. Put on AHS after a couple of those at $75 per service 2x per year. Now keep in mind every time it went out I lost a couple of hundred more in food spoilage. $200-$300 each time. Today I wake up and water all over the floor and everything in it barely cool to the touch. I’m done. Will absolutely NEVER BUY A GE APPLIANCE AGAIN... don’t be fooled by PROFILE, it’s junk.

Original review: April 27, 2018

We have had our french door fridge for 2 years, and it has completely stopped working. The screen is still on, but water won't come out. The fridge and freezer no longer stay cold. We have a 5-year warranty. BUT to get someone to work on the fridge we have to wait a minimum of 2 days and then four hours for them to grace us with their presence. After waiting three days for an available appointment window, the serviceman was 30 minutes late. I guarantee this is due to horrible management on their part!

The call we got yesterday directed us to a completely computer operated system. When I did find a service number with a human, the best she could do was have her manager EMAIL dispatch. My alternative is to wait four more days and an even longer time window. How is this acceptable service! We should at least have the option to work with a third-party (which I was told I couldn't) who might get here more quickly. Is there seriously no better option!? How is this acceptable?

Original review: April 27, 2018

I purchase refrigerator @ P.C. Richards in co-op city 04/2017, In February I notice that the sides on Refrigerator was cracking, I went to 2/24/18 P.C. Richards. They sent tech to the house to evaluate Refrigerator. Tech came 3/2/18 & put Glue/Plaster over the cracks, I didn't like the way it looked, They just put Band-Aid over it! So I called G.E. Frigidaire warranty company, they send out tech 3/22/18 to evaluate Fridge. Tech G.E. removed the work that P.C. Richards did, Tech said he would call in 7 Days. I never received call, I called G.E Warranty 4/27/18.

GE Washing Machines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

GE, or General Electric, is an American appliance manufacturer headquartered in Fairfield, Connecticut. The company ranks as the 26th largest firm in the United States, according to the Fortune 500.

• Energy efficiency: General Electric refrigerators are mostly Energy Star appliances, which means big savings for users and a 20 percent improvement over standard refrigerators.

• Features: GE refrigerators offer a number of unique features, such as digital water dispenser readouts and temperature-controlled drawers.

• Capacity: GE offers a wide range of storage capacities in its models, ranging from 4 cubic feet to more than 26 cubic feet.

• Styles: GE has many different styles of refrigerators, from bottom-door freezers to French doors and everything in between.

• Handicap accessible: Some of GE's fridges are designed to make them easier for handicapped people to use.

• Best for: Consumers who need a reliable refrigerator for home use and like a wide variety of options.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

Ticker Symbol:
GE
www.ge.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business