Call toll free
2.92/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Recognized as a top appliance brand for 100 years, Kenmore brings a new level of performance with appliances that deliver time savings, convenience and great results. From quickly cooling drinks to laundry loads completed in less time, Kenmore is the most awarded brand in the industry.

The Kenmore brand understands its customers’ wants and needs. Being in the lives of over 100 million Americans, performance innovations are a top priority of Kenmore product development. Ongoing engagement with our customers before, during and after purchases will help us maintain the honor of industry leader.

Kenmore Appliances Video
Kenmore Appliances Gallery (1)
B-BBB Rating
View More View More

2421 Kenmore Refrigerators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Purchased 3 appl. LG fridge $2700, LG dishwasher $900 and Kenmore Pro gas stove/elec. OVEN "$3212.00" - yes $3212.00! Purchased 4/13. Total purchase with everything was $7285.99! Not even 6 yrs. old yet!!! Just replaced the dishwasher - it just quit working, not fixable, moved the fridge so they could bring in the new dishwasher and now the fridge quit cooling and needs a new "compressor"! Of course they expired 4/16 and never used them... The service call was $78.50 and even though the compressor is covered under warranty the LABOR will be $450!!! The stove has issues as well and will error and turn off the oven when cooking.... So upset and extremely disappointed in their performance or better word "LACK of performance". Just sick over this having to replace again after this COST!!! There must be some recourse for the customer! So I guess it doesn't matter what you pay you will be lucky to get 5 yrs. out of your appliances.

Get expert buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

This is a Kenmore Elite. Paid $2800. These are lemons. Read reviews. Exactly what happened to us. Compressor went out. It is an LG problem that Sears needs to address. We will be without a refrigerator for 2 weeks. All during Christmas. This is unacceptable.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I bought a new Kenmore fridge April 2015 that cost approx. $1600 (before tax), and in December 2018 it stopped working with no warning. I noticed freezer began to defrost and the fridge was not cooling. I called Sears repair and it took them 2 weeks to come out. They came today and the tech said it was the compressor and that it will be $980 to fix and there is really only a 70% chance that it will be fixed... It will never be the same and probably not worth fixing. Needless to say I am so upset, we lost all our food. It’s only been 3 years since I bought Kenmore fridge, I shouldn't be having this problem AT ALL!!! It shouldn't cost me anything.

I got the same "out of warranty" spiel and customer service wasn't helpful at all. When I told him I shouldn't be having this problem at 3 years, he said, “Well that depends on HOW YOU HAVE BEEN USING IT...” I am near tears, I am so frustrated... I am going to throw a beautiful new fridge in the garbage. I can't believe this is happening to me. I had to buy a $100 fridge from Craigslist just to have food in the house for my kids. Kenmore isn't standing behind their products...what is being done??? I read all of the complaints here and I am SHOCKED there are so many people with the same compressor issues... Obviously at this point there should be a recall!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

The ice maker on this fridge, or I should say the water going into it and it dumping the ice along with some other item that runs very noisily, this is the loudest noisiest fridge we have ever purchased. We have had many Kenmore refers. The noise on our newest one is awful to say the least and the ice dispenser can jam up and you have to dump it all out and clean it up and dry it before you can put it back so it will work properly. Three times since April this year. Very disappointed with this Kenmore product. We still have our old fridge and are very close to putting it back in the house and giving this one away.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

My Kenmore refrigerator (manufactured by LG - be careful, they don't tell you that) has been broken for over 6 months. I finally got a Sears repair technician out on 8/28/18 to start the actual repair. The refrigerator worked for a couple weeks then broke again. A technician was sent out again on 11/6/18. He look at the refrigerator and informed me that the refrigerator was unrepairable and he made it perfectly clear that it was a direct result of the work that was done on 8/28. He left no doubt that the SEARS technician broke the refrigerator beyond repair. Since then I have gotten nothing but a run around from Sears on whether they are actually going to replace my property that THEY destroyed. They pointed out I don't have a warranty. Do I honestly need a warranty to protect me from YOUR negligence? Seriously?!?!

To add insult to injury I received a $294 bill for the service visit on 8/28. They expect me to pay them for coming out and destroying my property. Unbelievable. So now I'm out $300 plus about $2500 to buy a replacement fridge. I don't blame the technicians even the one who made the mistake. We are all human. Things happen. Sears could have done the right thing and resolved this in a quick, positive manner. Instead they chose the unresponsive, unethical route. They do not deserve to be in business if this is how they treat customers. I wish I could give them negative stars. My advice - there are so many ethical, customer service oriented businesses out there these days more worthy of your business. Even if they cost a little more they will definitely be getting my business over Sears.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kenmore Appliances?

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Last year I purchased the Kenmore 73059 fridge from Sears to replace the 6 year old Kenmore French door fridge that I purchased from Sears that died. First of all, the water dispenser leaked. The tech blamed it on low water pressure in my home, but the old (6 year old) fridge didn't leak. Now, mere weeks out of warranty, the new fridge is dead. All customer service could say was, "You know it's out of warranty. You should have purchased one of our home warranties." Do NOT purchase Kenmore appliances. They are unreliable pieces of junk!!! And they do NOT stand behind their products. Oh, and the microhood (over-the-range microwave) I purchased 7 years ago needed a new magnetron at 51 weeks old (at least it was covered under the warranty). Note it has a bad humidity sensor (at 7 years old).

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

LOOK GREAT and loved this Kenmore Elite fridge for 14 months, then spent $99 twice to correct design flaws in the ice maker over the next 9 months. At 30 months, compressor failed. Parts under warranty but labor will be $520, obscene cost except when you consider how many repair trips it may take to get poor quality parts to work. $100/month for cold food. Off to the dump.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

We paid over $3300.00 7 years ago for this top of the line fridge. Loved it until it died. Compressor shot and guess what? The compressor is an LG. Why is an LG part in a Kenmore or rather a GE or Whirlpool appliance? It would cost us more to replace the compressor and labor than to buy a new one. And we had a warranty... 5 years. I realize Kenmore no longer makes its own appliances and that’s a shame because they used to be the very best. But honestly this is really beyond my comprehension. No wonder Sears is going under. Shame, shame. We gave my daughter and her husband our old side by side Whirlpool more than 20 years ago and it’s still humming along. Guess we’ll be carefully looking for a new fridge tonight. Buyer beware.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

We bought our brand new Kenmore Elite just 2 years ago and it suddenly stopped working. After waiting 2 weeks for the repairman to show up, he tells us it is the compressor that went. He tells us it is under warranty, however the cost to install will be $380. He says that the actual manufacturer is LG. We thought it was Whirlpool. We would NEVER had gone with LG as our choice. Our refrigerator still looks BRAND NEW, however the repairman says he can’t guarantee the new compressor won’t break again because they are junk products from LG. Don’t buy Kenmore products.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Kenmore elite is an LG in disguise. Total piece of junk. Stopped working at 33 months. Have had 4 repair attempts over last 6 weeks, still doesn't work. Extended warranty is worthless. Don't waste your money. Total misrepresentation about it being an LG. Was told it was a Whirlpool.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Bought a Sears Kenmore Elite refrigerator for $2200 in January 2014. It stopped cooling in June 2018, the refrigerator is not under warranty but the parts and labor are under warranty. In the last 2 1/2 months I have had 10 appointments to have it repaired. It would work for 4-7 days and then stop cooling again. The last 2 appointments they didn't even show up and said the refrigerator is condemned and can't be fixed. One of the technicians told me the parts are inferior and not expected to last. Today I spent an hour and a half on the phone with customer solutions. After 1.5 hours all "Jerry" said he could do was to set another appointment for repairs. The ice maker also leaked and the excess ice would have to be cleaned about once a week. I was not satisfied with the product, the service, or the warranty. Not recommended.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I purchased a Kenmore french door refrigerator in July 2017. It is 1 year and 4 months old. A couple weeks ago we reached in to get a bottle of water and it was warm. We placed a thermometer in the fridge and noticed that no matter what temperature we set the fridge on, it fluctuates between 33 degrees and 50 degrees. We were told by a repairman that it needs an LG Main Control Board and that the Boards are defective. Do yourself a favor and avoid ANY LG appliances or appliances that have any LG parts.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

My 2 year old Kenmore Elite refrigerator quit working, called Sears and the put in an emergency service call that took 3 days to get to the house. The service tech tells us that the condenser and the fan are shot. I have to pay for the fan but the condenser is under warranty. 10 years. But I have to pay for labor. 3 thousand dollar refrigerator, really. Total cost $461. That means I have spent 30 a week on average to keep my food cold. Let that sink in. Not happy but need a fridge, oh the tech says it is going to take 19 days before they will be back! 2 weeks to get the part for my refrigerator. "We will call another appliance repair company," we say to the tech. "Well that voids your warranty on the condenser, and basically we do all the repairs for Home Depot and Lowe's." REALLY???

And what am I to do about a fridge in the meantime?? The tech's answer, RENT ONE??? REALLY??? And then he goes on to try and sell me a whole house service plan for only $49.00 a month. That is $600 year! For you to take three days to get here and wait 19 days to come back with the part. I am reeling. I called the 800 service number wanting to talk to some type of management, got the runaround. I have done business with Sears for years and will never step foot in their stores again, not even for a screwdriver. Now it is totally understandable why they are closing their doors in many stores. 30 plus years I have done business. I will pay a higher price to the local appliance store and keep the money local. Corporate box stores could care less about customer satisfaction. Totally unacceptable. Research the makers of these appliances online and steer clear of all these appliances.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Do Not Buy Kenmore products!!! I purchased all new Kenmore. Elite appliances 3 years ago... plus a front load washer and dryer. Washer had to be replaced 18 months later. Microwave lightbulbs... requires 2... $35 a piece! Now the Elite bottom freezer refrigerator has died... 3 years and thousands of dollars later... same experience as everyone else here. No wonder Sears is going under. Customer service is HORRIBLE. Repairman finally came out and replaced the compressor... 2 days later and unit is not cooling enough. Now I have to go through this garbage again. Repairman said he has at least two of these repairs a day. Compressors are NO GOOD. STAY AWAY FROM KENMORE!!!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Purchased a complete suite of appliances for my new kitchen 4 years ago. Major failure on the $3,800 fridge after 13 months, water pump, (2) door hinges and silverware basket on dishwasher, complete replacement of microwave and 5 repairs on the double wall oven. COMPLETE GARBAGE. WILL NEVER BUY KENMORE AGAIN!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I purchased a Kenmore Elite refrigerator in May 2015 and the compressor failed this month October 2018. I am highly disappointed that this costly refrigerator is beyond repair after 3 years. This company should be held responsible for this and provide compensation for the hundreds of dollars in losses.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I have been a Kenmore brand customer for decades. Purchased a Kenmore Elite refrigerator 5 years ago and it died last week. Called Sears and was told the earliest appointment they had available was two weeks in the future. They provided the name and number for another repair company who might be available sooner. When I called that company, they wanted to charge me nearly $300 for a service call. I promptly hung up the phone on that rip off artist. I called Sears back to ask how much they charge for a service call and was told $99. I could not believe that Sears would provide a referral to such a company.

I finally found a local company who for $89 plus an extra emergency fee of $45 came out the next day to diagnose the problem. Turns out the compressor died. While the fridge no longer has a store warranty, the compressor has a 10 year manufacturer’s warranty. So I call Sears to order a new compressor. I am told that they cannot work off of a diagnosis provided by another company so I am back to a two week wait for one of their technicians at a cost of $99 for the service call, to come out and tell me what another company already has. Then after that the part has to be ordered and the repair scheduled. Plus I have to pay for labor charges to have the new compressor installed, which I am sure will come to hundreds of dollars.

While I am tempted to purchase a new fridge I decided against it. If the new compressor lasts 1-2 years it allows me to defer the price tag of a new refrigerator for at least 12 months. This piece of crap ran nearly $3k with delivery and install. We were told by the repair guy to stay away from Kenmore, LG, Samsung and Frigidaire because they are all a bunch of crap with a lot of issues. Apparently these brands just stick their names on products manufactured by other companies. Needless to say I will never purchase another Kenmore appliance or the other brands noted by the repair technician.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I purchased the Kenmore 51792 side-by-side refrigerator in Sept. 2016. The freezer started to warm and eventually stopped working in October 2018. The evaporator and condenser failed. Repair total is $1,292. The unit is, of course, out of warranty. The unit is crap. The reputable appliance repair shop recommended staying away from Kenmore for the replacement. The unit was a total waste of money.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

My Kenmore refrigerator is 2 years old. The freezer compartment keeps shorting and will defrost and refreeze again. This has been happening for 2 months while I have been waiting for Sears service because they no showed on me 2xs! I finally gave up on them and called a local repair company to come out today. They said the error is on the compressor and it is failing. I need a new compressor and with parts and labor it is close to $1000! He just left another home with the same refrigerator and the same exact problem!

Apparently the product only has a 1 YR warranty! What a ripoff! I spent close to $2000 on this and now I have to get a new refrigerator or fix this piece of crap... which isn't guaranteed! Dealing with the Sears service department has been a joke and quite honestly I am at my wit's end! Of course they are backed up for months for repairs when all of their products are failing! These Kenmore products apparently are not what they used to be and who is going to protect the consumer who is paying a small fortune for them! They should be recalled immediately! Very bad business.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Purchased Kenmore Pro Elite and did not work on delivery with door sensor and icemaker then would not work. That was fixed. Then compressor broke and 2 months waiting for Sears repairman and parts... They replaced it which was under warranty but 330 in labor. I paid and failed in 2 days. Now another month wait. I called and called. They hung up and never sent reimbursement. I had to buy a new refrigerator after 3 months without a refrigerator.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

After having all Kenmore kitchen appliances that lasted over 15 years, I decided to go with Kenmore for everything again. Turns out the quality is no longer the same. Appliances are less than 3 years old and today the refrigerator and freezer both stopped working. It's a counter depth, Kenmore Pro series, freezer on the bottom. After doing some research today, I found out that it's made by LG. The cost of the refrigerator with the additional warranty was about $3,300. So, I call Sears today to schedule a tech to come out and see what's wrong with it. They tell me the soonest emergency service they can schedule is October 19th... 11 days from now!! That's insane! No wonder this company is getting ready to close. I will never purchase Kenmore appliances again!

Updated on 10/15/2018: After doing some research today, it looks like there's a potential class-action lawsuit against Kenmore and LG for these faulty, short-lived compressors. Apparently, this lawsuit also covers the LG compressors hidden behind the Kenmore façade. Here's a link with information about the potential lawsuit: **. Hope everyone with this problem follows through with this, especially after Sears filed chapter 11 bankruptcy today. This means the extended warranties purchased by consumers will be decided in court as far as whether or not Sears will have to honor them.

Also, here's some good info if you run into a problem and need to contact Sears... Inside my refrigerator owner's manual, it mentions that warranty repairs are eligible for rental reimbursement. When I asked Sears about that... they then decided to tell me that they would send me a check for $115 which would cover part of the cost to buy a small refrigerator to use til mine is repaired.

I purchased a small, 3.3 CF fridge (not a Kenmore though!) for just over this price. Also, as mentioned in the owners manual, you can fill out a form to get $250 back from Sears for spoiled food caused by the refrigerator not working. It states that you can claim this $250 one time per year. Again, until I brought this up to Sears, they weren't going to mention it. Hope this info helps other frustrated customers! In the meantime, I'm still waiting for the tech to come out to diagnose what happened to mine. Seems like it was another compressor failure. I should know more on Friday... after 11 days without my refrigerator.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Would not recommend buying any appliance from Sears. Their support is crappy as is their product. Have had our fridge less than 4 years and it has already broke twice. Have spent over 700 on repairs for a 3,000 dollar fridge. Just finished talking to “service guy” who couldn’t find order with phone number and they can’t look up by customer name! Was calling to ensure right part was ordered since the compressor went out and I received a small wire copper tube only. After me having to do the footwork for him to find my order all he did was cancel the service call since the part wasn’t here! Sadly enough it’s no wonder Sears is going under.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Purchase date of the fridge - 26 September 2017 $2500.00 at Sears. On 28 September 2018 the compressor on the unit broke. The cost to repair will be upwards of $500. I'm told that thousands of these Kenmore units have the same issue with the compressor and that it was made to last a year only. I need to wait 3 weeks for Sears to schedule the service technician - That equates to 3 weeks minimum with no refrigerator! A local technician told me that the new compressor, once installed, will most likely last a year - possibly two. I wish I would have read the reviews prior to purchasing. Sears should be ashamed of their service and their product and I feel strongly that this refrigerator should be recalled or that there should be a class action lawsuit against Sears/LG/Kenmore. PLEASE - do yourself a favor and stay clear of this product.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

My less than 2 year old $3,999 side by side Sears Kenmore refrigerator freezer stopped working. (Needs new compressor.) Sears response “Pay $941.75 to repair it”. Are you kidding me? I’m 61 years old and never had a refrigerator go bad. What a ripoff! Don’t buy anything from Sears! It’s no wonder they are going bankrupt.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Our Kenmore Elite 72053 French door fridge, made by LG, quit after less than five years. Sealed system started leaking. Sears said it would take weeks for a service call, so my advice is to avoid any Kenmore brands or Sears service, especially since Sears is a dying company. We found a good, local reputable repair person, who told us it would cost $1500 to repair. His advice was to buy the cheapest refrigerator with the fewest features you can tolerate. He said all of today’s refrigerators are cheaply made, even the SubZero. He told us people are lucky to get 5-7 years out of a refrigerator.

We went with a Whirlpool side-by-side for under $1200 and if it lasts for a reasonable period, we will then discard it when it breaks. Meanwhile, our 15-year-old, $400 Frigidaire utility refrigerator in the basement is still going strong. When we tell repair people or salespeople, they say, “Oh, those are the good ones.” BTW, in buying a new fridge, we learned you can wait weeks or months for delivery. Just one of the benefits of a just-in-time supply chain and non-US manufacturing.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Big dollars for blown compressor just 2 years old - "Oh well sorry." Salespeople should be required to tell you that according to customer service and tech support at Sears "They just don't make them like they used to" and that seems to be ok. You spend a few thousand dollars for a year of refrigeration so two years later your appliance will cost another $700. No one cares. Just want to warn you.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I've had a Kenmore Elite Grab-N-Go refrigerator for about two years. This model isn't one of the less expensive models in their line, but rather more on the expensive side. It started having a steady hum and would not stay cold. I checked the product user guide and found that the refrigerator has a feature called "Kenmore Connect". You push a couple of buttons hold up your phone to a small speaker by the door and problems are diagnosed remotely. Pretty cool, except they will only do it if you are still under warranty. It doesn't mention that in the user guide. Ok, how about a service call? OK on September 29. Well, today is September 6th. I expect a refrigerator to last more than two years and have service in a reasonable time frame. I will be on the way first thing in the morning to buy a new refrigerator -- not Kenmore and I have bought Kenmore products almost exclusively for the last fifty years.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I spent $2800 on a new Kenmore Elite French door with bottom freezer. At 18 months it stopped cooling/freezing. The warranty is 12 months so I was not happy. I called to Sears home service and it took 3 WEEKS to get a tech out and I had to pay for a service call. He diagnosed the issue that it was a compressor and said it would cost $435 in labor since the compressor had a 5 year warranty. It took ANOTHER 3 WEEKS to get the tech to come out to replace the compressor which he did. He found out that the 1st tech misdiagnosed and the 2nd tech said it was the main circuit board. He needed to order and it would be an additional $269. Guess what... ANOTHER 3 WEEKS to get yet 3rd tech to come out to install the new circuit board. I will keep you all posted in 3 weeks.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Do not buy Kenmore side by side refrigerator Model 41123. We were assured by the Sears technician that its compressor noise was typical of all new models. After only 14 months, the refrigerator stopped cooling. Good riddance. Piece of junk.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Worst company ever. Rip Offs. Warranty not worth the paper is written on. We purchase a Kenmore Elite Fridge from Sears on 2013 for 3000.00 and warranty for 549.99 for 5 yrs. Since April 2013 they have change 12 parts. Some of them repeat it parts and I'm still having problems with this Kenmore garbage. I have lost food and the warranty dept didn't want to replace fridge or the food because they have to come out more than 5 times which they did because every time they came to fix it they will change 2 or more parts at one time so it wouldn't qualify for it. So now they want to charge me for diagnostic 99.00 and parts and labor or parts that they just change in June of this year that technician told me I had 3 months warranty on parts but they not honoring nothing.

This company should close down. So many good stores keep closing and this worthless rip off store that sells garbage keeps open. Don't trust them. They sell bad appliances. Kenmore is junk. I still own my GE fridge that I purchased at Lowe's 15 yrs ago and it still working in my garage and I have never done any work to it so don't trust Sears with your investment. They don't care about their customers. They should be ashamed of this company. Kenmore is a facade. LG is the brand. Save yourself of lost of food, inconvenience waiting for technicians and parts and mental stress.

Kenmore Appliances expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Kenmore is a recognized brand in the appliance industry and has been around over 100 years. Kenmore offers high-quality refrigerators in a wide range of sizes and models at affordable prices.

• Variety: Kenmore offers a huge selection of appliances, from mini-refrigerators to giant, commercial appliances.

• Price: Kenmore has products at a number of different price points, including discount and luxury items.

• Warranties: Kenmore refrigerators are protected from damage or defects up to one year from the date of installation. Defective items will receive a full repair or replacement.

• Luxury models: Kenmore offers many top-of-the-line luxury models and options, such as french-cut doors with stainless steel construction and GeniusCool technology.

• Commercial products: Kenmore offers commercial products for restaurants and consumers who are in need of extra-large refrigerators.

• Best for: Homeowners, businesses and restaurants interested in purchasing a refrigerator.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs