Save on Appliance Repairs

Compare Quotes
Kenmore Refrigerators
1.64/5

Kenmore Refrigerators

Recognized as a top appliance brand for 100 years, Kenmore brings a new level of performance with appliances that deliver time savings, convenience and great results. From quickly cooling drinks to laundry loads completed in less time, Kenmore is the most awarded brand in the industry.

The Kenmore brand understands its customers’ wants and needs. Being in the lives of over 100 million Americans, performance innovations are a top priority of Kenmore product development. Ongoing engagement with our customers before, during and after purchases will help us maintain the honor of industry leader.

View More View More

Save on Appliance Repairs

With the Best Home Warranty

Compare Quotes

2441 Kenmore Refrigerators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 15, 2019

I bought a Kenmore bottom freezer fridge from Sears in 2017. After about 6 months I noticed a pool of water in my fridge. After calling a refrigeration company (because Sears had closed in our town at this point) I was advised to unplug and thaw my fridge. It worked ok, but after about three months my fridge had a bottom full of water and was warm. So, I thawed it again and that worked for 6 more month! Haha! Now it has died. This fridge is only 1 1/2 years old!! I decided to look at the reviews for this fridge, ya know, for fun, of course they are terrible! Lesson learned. I will research more for my next fridge. Good luck my fellow fridge buyers hope these reviews help! Sincerely, stuck with a broken fridge, and warm produce.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Purchased a Sears Kenmore Elite Refrigerator in April of 2016. The compressor died on March 28 2019. Wish I did my research before buying this expensive unit. In reading these reviews it seems I'm not alone.

Get expert buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Purchased a Kenmore Elite side by side about 5 years ago, right after one year when warranty expired the ice making stopped making ice. This fridge freezes everything like a hard rock in the refrigerator regardless of the temperature. This refrigerator has lots of leaking issues, the aluminum, the coils. The only positive about this fridge is the shelves and drawers. DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS AT ALL.

Original review: March 29, 2019

We bought a new Kenmore refrigerator that was expensive only a few years ago. The freon was leaking and we had to replace the refrigerator after a few short years. I called customer service three times and they said they could not find record of my name or purchase after my husband and I have purchased many appliances from Sears. I am so disappointed and do not know what to do.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Purchased 11/4/15, Died 3/25/29. Slow system leak at first, not compressor. The last year had to run at full/all bar setting coldest output to one bar below that. We believe it's in the cooling line/tubes. Linear compressor works fine. Additionally this unit's ice output slow, small subpar. We had to supplement with old fashon ice cube trays. 33" side by side, water ice in door, Stainless steal. Kenmore Elite 51813, LG made, The last Kenmore refrigerator lasted over 25 yrs. We didn't expect it to last that long but geesh 3 and half years. Unacceptable! Had to throw some food out and dragged my daughter's old shop fridge sitting now outside my kitchen, Florida. Shopping for a new one, NOT LG nor Kenmore LG. Nope. Never again. They basically robbed us. LG should be ashamed of producing such a poor product. Obviously they are inept or crooks. Beautiful on the outside but rotten on the inside. Shame. Shame...on them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kenmore Appliances?

Original review: March 25, 2019

When the long-experienced service tech could no longer fix our previous GE, we discussed options. He suggested Kenmore, with as few bells and whistles as necessary, because those need repairs more than the refrigeration system. Extensive research bore out this opinion, and we settled on a Kenmore that has worked flawlessly despite frequent power outages in our area. We lost no frozen food after a 2-day outage. We do not miss the extra "luxury" features. It has enough room for a family of 4 with different dietary and beverage preferences, and all the holiday food for guests is accessible without a lot of searching on the shelves. The veggie and fruit bins slide easily, and the shelves can be adjusted as needed. Six years running (!), we have not had to call our beloved repairman.

Original review: March 23, 2019

I bought a $1700 Kenmore French door fridge from Sears 5 years ago. Long story short, compressor went, $800 to repair it and was told the damage caused by the compressor failing may jeopardize other components of the refrigerator in the near future. It’s going in the trash tomorrow. Do NOT buy KENMORE products and steer clear of SEARS for selling CRAP! Tech said to stay away from Samsung as well and LG when it comes to refrigerators. Whirlpool, Maytag, Amana are better choices.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Purchased a Kenmore Elite Fridge Side by Side, with Ice Maker attached to door. Ice Maker broke in 2 years and can't be fixed apparently the wiring broke from opening and closing the doors. This should have been a recall product, drawers falling apart. Consumers really need to research. We finally broke down and purchased a new refrigerator after 15 years and this happens.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Shelves that move to any place is truly important to me and each and every one of these move to exactly where I feel they need to be. And that includes the shelves on the door. So you do not need to jiggle and juggle things when trying to get that carton of milk or salad dressing out to use. The bottom freezer has a pullout shelf which is especially good for ice cream, and other important foods. Larger food items - lots of them - fit well into the bottom portion. Since getting this refrigerator several years ago I have not had to play with the temperature once it was set. So nice to not have to think about that.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I broke a glass shelf, and, unfortunately with the demise of Sears Canada, I am no longer able to get replacement parts. Fridge is 12 years old and still works very well.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Our refrigerator is 6 years old and the board is gone. Very disappointing. The ice maker sprays ice all over the floor after the glass is removed from the opening. You cannot remove the ice bin from the freezer unless the french door is open. One and done. 6 years really! I know appliances no longer last a lifetime but 6 years. Do not buy this appliance.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Kenmore has great products at fair prices. I've always bought all my products from Sears. First great service and prompt delivery. But let me say the small Sears stores are a franchise. So they may not all be up to par. My refrigerator is basic. No frills. Plain white. Glass shelves. Does the job.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I bought my Kenmore refrigerator back in October 1999 and it still works so good today Dec 2018 that it will start freezing stuff in the refrigerator area after 3-5 days. Plus the freezer works great. My only complaint is the freezer is too small of a portion of the refrigerator. They should have taken more of the refrigerator to make the freezer bigger. I do have to limit how much freezer stuff I get. Frozen stuff that can be thawed prior to using. I will put that on my top shelf of the refrigerator if needed as that shelf will freeze stuff in one day and the items placed on the top shelf of the refrigerator usually will remain frozen or have lots of ice in it like a slushie.

The only time I have had problems with the Kenmore was around 10-15 years ago. I kept adjusting the temperature in the refrigerator so things wouldn't freeze up but then it started keeping things too warm and started acting up. I don't have the refrigerator on the highest setting today. It has numbers 1-7 and 7 is the coldest and I keep it on 6. Ever since I stopped changing the temperature dial then no more problems. The refrigerator only cost me $399 and it's well worth the money that I have paid for the refrigerator.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I HATE this refrigerator! It has 'dutch doors' that just refuse to close. If you open the right side door, fine, but the left side door has to be either pushed with great force, or the right side door has to be opened and the left side door closed followed by the right side. Failure to fully close partially melts the ice in the ice reservoir which then resolidifies into a solid mass which is a total mess. Also the 'in door' water dispenser dispenses ROOM TEMPERATURE WATER, not chilled water! What the heck! On top of that, the $60 in-line water filter plugs up after a month even when it is fed purified water from a reverse osmosis system! On top of that, the compressor failed and Sears had no technicians available even for just a quick look for a whole week! Like a family can live for a week with no fridge? I had to pay $900 to an independent service person for 1-day service.

Original review: March 11, 2019

The fridge itself was good. Had it for 5 1/2 years when the compressor went out. When I called customer service to get it fixed they couldn't schedule us for 4 weeks. Representative said they were busy in our area and that was the best they could do. The compressor was still under warranty but we would have to pay for labor. To have a local repair shop do it would cost $800-$1000 for the compressor and labor but could be done in a few days. We will find a different company with better customer service for our next fridge.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

BUYER BEWARE. ALL KENMORE ELITE REFRIGERATORS 31CB FT AND APPLIANCES!!! Please Don't Buy Kenmore Elite Brand Products. All Garbage on top of Garbage! Brand New Refrigerator less than 2 months old goes completely out! Spoils everything in it! Sears sales bad appliances then turns around sale services warranty because they know the products you buying ain't worth the paper receipt it's printed on! Needs A Class Action Suit started! The way they're doing the families that's stuck with this unlawful practice! We" living out of 4-5 ice chest buying ice with no solid resolution! Basically stuck with a product that sucks! You buys a product that best fit your family needs paying big buck for nothing! Kenmore will never again get a dime of our HARD earn money! IT deserves no star at all!!! But you got to put something there.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Kenmore customer service is horrible. Was given a price over the phone. When the technician came out the price more than doubled. Spoke with a supervisor by the name of Freddie who was worthless. When ask to speak with his manager was told they are not taking calls. Asked for the manager's name. Was told they don't give that out. I have spent over 10,000.00 with Kenmore and will never spend another dime with them if this is the way they handle business. I work in customer service and would lose my job if I treated customers this way. This refrigerator cost me $4100.00 and the compressor goes out in 25 months. Are you kidding me? Buyers beware. The compressor is under 5 -10 warranty but labor cost 500.00 really.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Don’t buy a Kenmore refrigerator. The ice/water system is a piece of crap. The ice dispenser won’t stop giving ice and now the water won’t turn off. Buyers beware. Can’t tell you how disappointed I am in this product.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

No ice, poor cooling, slow response for added on 500 dollars Sears warranty. Under one year old fridge, evasive stalling by outsourced warranty company, three minute visit by the repair company. DONT BUY. DONT BUY. DONT BUY.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Pls stay away from Kenmore Elite Refrigerators sold by Sears and built by LG. Paid $2400 for the French door refrigerator and purchased it in Nov 2015. Bought extended warranty for additional 3 yrs for $500. Fridge stopped working 1 week ago. Not cooling or freezing. Sears tech came out and said this is a common problem with all LG refrigerators branded under Kenmore. 3 yr warranty expired in Dec. Go figure. Being charged $500 for labor. Wife is extremely annoyed. Our 15 yr old refrigerator in garage is working nicely which allowed us to survive. I am planning to complain to LG executives.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Purchased 3 appl. LG fridge $2700, LG dishwasher $900 and Kenmore Pro gas stove/elec. OVEN "$3212.00" - yes $3212.00! Purchased 4/13. Total purchase with everything was $7285.99! Not even 6 yrs. old yet!!! Just replaced the dishwasher - it just quit working, not fixable, moved the fridge so they could bring in the new dishwasher and now the fridge quit cooling and needs a new "compressor"! Of course they expired 4/16 and never used them... The service call was $78.50 and even though the compressor is covered under warranty the LABOR will be $450!!! The stove has issues as well and will error and turn off the oven when cooking.... So upset and extremely disappointed in their performance or better word "LACK of performance". Just sick over this having to replace again after this COST!!! There must be some recourse for the customer! So I guess it doesn't matter what you pay you will be lucky to get 5 yrs. out of your appliances.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

This is a Kenmore Elite. Paid $2800. These are lemons. Read reviews. Exactly what happened to us. Compressor went out. It is an LG problem that Sears needs to address. We will be without a refrigerator for 2 weeks. All during Christmas. This is unacceptable.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I bought a new Kenmore fridge April 2015 that cost approx. $1600 (before tax), and in December 2018 it stopped working with no warning. I noticed freezer began to defrost and the fridge was not cooling. I called Sears repair and it took them 2 weeks to come out. They came today and the tech said it was the compressor and that it will be $980 to fix and there is really only a 70% chance that it will be fixed... It will never be the same and probably not worth fixing. Needless to say I am so upset, we lost all our food. It’s only been 3 years since I bought Kenmore fridge, I shouldn't be having this problem AT ALL!!! It shouldn't cost me anything.

I got the same "out of warranty" spiel and customer service wasn't helpful at all. When I told him I shouldn't be having this problem at 3 years, he said, “Well that depends on HOW YOU HAVE BEEN USING IT...” I am near tears, I am so frustrated... I am going to throw a beautiful new fridge in the garbage. I can't believe this is happening to me. I had to buy a $100 fridge from Craigslist just to have food in the house for my kids. Kenmore isn't standing behind their products...what is being done??? I read all of the complaints here and I am SHOCKED there are so many people with the same compressor issues... Obviously at this point there should be a recall!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

The ice maker on this fridge, or I should say the water going into it and it dumping the ice along with some other item that runs very noisily, this is the loudest noisiest fridge we have ever purchased. We have had many Kenmore refers. The noise on our newest one is awful to say the least and the ice dispenser can jam up and you have to dump it all out and clean it up and dry it before you can put it back so it will work properly. Three times since April this year. Very disappointed with this Kenmore product. We still have our old fridge and are very close to putting it back in the house and giving this one away.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

My Kenmore refrigerator (manufactured by LG - be careful, they don't tell you that) has been broken for over 6 months. I finally got a Sears repair technician out on 8/28/18 to start the actual repair. The refrigerator worked for a couple weeks then broke again. A technician was sent out again on 11/6/18. He look at the refrigerator and informed me that the refrigerator was unrepairable and he made it perfectly clear that it was a direct result of the work that was done on 8/28. He left no doubt that the SEARS technician broke the refrigerator beyond repair. Since then I have gotten nothing but a run around from Sears on whether they are actually going to replace my property that THEY destroyed. They pointed out I don't have a warranty. Do I honestly need a warranty to protect me from YOUR negligence? Seriously?!?!

To add insult to injury I received a $294 bill for the service visit on 8/28. They expect me to pay them for coming out and destroying my property. Unbelievable. So now I'm out $300 plus about $2500 to buy a replacement fridge. I don't blame the technicians even the one who made the mistake. We are all human. Things happen. Sears could have done the right thing and resolved this in a quick, positive manner. Instead they chose the unresponsive, unethical route. They do not deserve to be in business if this is how they treat customers. I wish I could give them negative stars. My advice - there are so many ethical, customer service oriented businesses out there these days more worthy of your business. Even if they cost a little more they will definitely be getting my business over Sears.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Last year I purchased the Kenmore 73059 fridge from Sears to replace the 6 year old Kenmore French door fridge that I purchased from Sears that died. First of all, the water dispenser leaked. The tech blamed it on low water pressure in my home, but the old (6 year old) fridge didn't leak. Now, mere weeks out of warranty, the new fridge is dead. All customer service could say was, "You know it's out of warranty. You should have purchased one of our home warranties." Do NOT purchase Kenmore appliances. They are unreliable pieces of junk!!! And they do NOT stand behind their products. Oh, and the microhood (over-the-range microwave) I purchased 7 years ago needed a new magnetron at 51 weeks old (at least it was covered under the warranty). Note it has a bad humidity sensor (at 7 years old).

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

LOOK GREAT and loved this Kenmore Elite fridge for 14 months, then spent $99 twice to correct design flaws in the ice maker over the next 9 months. At 30 months, compressor failed. Parts under warranty but labor will be $520, obscene cost except when you consider how many repair trips it may take to get poor quality parts to work. $100/month for cold food. Off to the dump.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

We paid over $3300.00 7 years ago for this top of the line fridge. Loved it until it died. Compressor shot and guess what? The compressor is an LG. Why is an LG part in a Kenmore or rather a GE or Whirlpool appliance? It would cost us more to replace the compressor and labor than to buy a new one. And we had a warranty... 5 years. I realize Kenmore no longer makes its own appliances and that’s a shame because they used to be the very best. But honestly this is really beyond my comprehension. No wonder Sears is going under. Shame, shame. We gave my daughter and her husband our old side by side Whirlpool more than 20 years ago and it’s still humming along. Guess we’ll be carefully looking for a new fridge tonight. Buyer beware.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

We bought our brand new Kenmore Elite just 2 years ago and it suddenly stopped working. After waiting 2 weeks for the repairman to show up, he tells us it is the compressor that went. He tells us it is under warranty, however the cost to install will be $380. He says that the actual manufacturer is LG. We thought it was Whirlpool. We would NEVER had gone with LG as our choice. Our refrigerator still looks BRAND NEW, however the repairman says he can’t guarantee the new compressor won’t break again because they are junk products from LG. Don’t buy Kenmore products.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Kenmore elite is an LG in disguise. Total piece of junk. Stopped working at 33 months. Have had 4 repair attempts over last 6 weeks, still doesn't work. Extended warranty is worthless. Don't waste your money. Total misrepresentation about it being an LG. Was told it was a Whirlpool.

Kenmore Appliances expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Kenmore is a recognized brand in the appliance industry and has been around over 100 years. Kenmore offers high-quality refrigerators in a wide range of sizes and models at affordable prices.

• Variety: Kenmore offers a huge selection of appliances, from mini-refrigerators to giant, commercial appliances.

• Price: Kenmore has products at a number of different price points, including discount and luxury items.

• Warranties: Kenmore refrigerators are protected from damage or defects up to one year from the date of installation. Defective items will receive a full repair or replacement.

• Luxury models: Kenmore offers many top-of-the-line luxury models and options, such as french-cut doors with stainless steel construction and GeniusCool technology.

• Commercial products: Kenmore offers commercial products for restaurants and consumers who are in need of extra-large refrigerators.

• Best for: Homeowners, businesses and restaurants interested in purchasing a refrigerator.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs