3.21/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Recognized as a top appliance brand for 100 years, Kenmore brings a new level of performance with appliances that deliver time savings, convenience and great results. From quickly cooling drinks to laundry loads completed in less time, Kenmore is the most awarded brand in the industry.

The Kenmore brand understands its customers’ wants and needs. Being in the lives of over 100 million Americans, performance innovations are a top priority of Kenmore product development. Ongoing engagement with our customers before, during and after purchases will help us maintain the honor of industry leader.

Kenmore Appliances Video
Kenmore Appliances Gallery (1)

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 19, 2017

2064 Kenmore Refrigerators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Model 18 cu ft top freezer 79568039 - What idiot designs a fridge with an egg shelf that is 2 INCHES SHORTER than a standard carton of eggs. We have to cut off the last 2 inches of the carton and put the extra 2 eggs in a bowl on a shelf in the fridge in order to use the egg shelf. Another thing... the two handles on the freezer and lower door have right angles on the corners (very sharp) which are constantly crashing against your elbow when reaching in or out of the fridge. Could have been solved by putting a radius on the handles, but then it wouldn't be as aesthetically pleasing. Don't you people ever have a focus group of people you give these products to, to be able to actually USE them and discover these problems, before spending tons of money to bring them to market???

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

We have been a Kenmore family for generations. The last house we were in we got ripped off by the Sears home repair service and had many breakdowns. We decided to go away from Kenmore and Sears for several years. We moved into a new house and decided to give Sears a try again. This new fridge is junk. Just a few months after purchase the door handles keep falling off (screws will not stay tight), the ice maker fan keeps freezing up which makes all the ice melt and water all over the floor. Tried to get things repaired under warranty but after 2 hours on the phone, being transferred all over the place and being hung up on, the repair person can't come for 3 weeks. People on the phone don't speak English very well, the whole process is still a nightmare. Last time that we will ever buy Kenmore or Sears.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Purchased a french door, bottom freezer Kenmore Elite refrigerator. It is one year old and just out of warranty. I have replaced 2 control boards and another is out. It has been out of service for 8 weeks. Three repair visits and it is still not working. Sears does not stand behind their product. I have spent over $500 in parts and service call and it is still not running. Repairman leaves and I cannot get another appointment for 2 weeks! Most expensive refrigerator I have ever purchased and lasted the least amount of time. I have confirmed with other repairmen I know that say Kenmore is not what it used to be and can't be trusted. Run from Kenmore!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

My wife and I built a brand new home two years ago and supplied it with all Kenmore or Kenmore elite appliances. As of today the appliances are barely 2 years old and the washing machine has broke, needs a new control panel and drain pump that is going to take a week or more to come in so we have no washer for at least a week. The dishwasher shuts off mid cycle so I have to have somebody come out for that. The tech told me it is probably an issue with the temp of the water so I have to run the hot water at the sink until it gets hot then run the dishwasher. Really?

For two years it worked just fine and now that it is malfunctioning that is the solution they give me? The top of our refrigerator freezer door completely cracked and got worse over time until it eventually all fell off into pieces. This happened by simply opening and closing the door. It looks terrible in our brand new $330k home. When I called Kenmore they said that is cosmetic and won't be taken care of. I am beyond disappointed. We spent thousands of dollars and thought that Kenmore was a great brand until this.

Update: The control panel Kenmore is sending me for my washer is now delayed by UPS and UPS is now telling me I may not have the part until late next week. Maybe later. So we will possibly go into 2+ weeks without a washing machine. I have called the Kenmore 1-800-4-my-home number several times and I get nowhere. One agent actually told me if the part does not arrive within 21 days then they will explore other options. As if a two year old washing machine breaking and sending us to the laundromat for 3+ weeks is acceptable. Terrible service!!!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

We bought this Kenmore Elite refrigerator (74093) made by LG in May 2016. In September 2017 it quit working. We have a home warranty through AHS. Their technicians have made 6 trips to our home and replaced 4 parts in the unit. It still does not work. Sears service is scheduled to come out Nov. 3, a month after we made the request. We have had to throw out $300 worth of food and still don't have a working refrigerator. The latest technician says these LG french door refrigerators have a high failure rate and he does not recommend buying one. We need either (1) to have this unit repaired permanently or (2) to have the unit replaced with a new one that does not have the same problem rate. Somebody please help!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kenmore Appliances?

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

It's been less than a year that we got our refrigerator and it is already not working. We have had many technicians come and look at it and I mean look. They don't touch it and all they say is, "We will be back in three weeks!!" HELLO I NEED A WORKING Fridge not just a thing that warms up my food. I've spent over 300 on groceries and all have gone to the trash because of the fridge not working. I have a big family and I can't even buy food for the week. This is beyond ridiculous. KENMORE please don't be selling bad refrigerators or at least help me with the one I have.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I bought brand new appliances from Sears.com in May 2017. The refrigerator broke down already. I called Sears. They sent a repair guy. Ice had formed in the freezer and caused the motor to shut down. He melted the ice with hot water and left... Fridge started making noise. I called back and was advised to wait a few days. The noise stopped came back and the ice formed again. Guy came back. Has to place parts on a 5 mo old refrigerator... Customer service is terrible. I spoke to 5 people. No resolution... They just want to replace parts and not the refrigerator.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Purchased the Kenmore Elite French Door with the Grab-N-Go door in August 2014. Since the price of the extended warranty was about $900 we did not purchase it. At the 18 month (July 2016) point the cooling coils in the refrigerator portion we developing extensive icing and it was actually pushing the bottom drawer outward. Sears couldn't get anyone out for 5 days so we called a local appliance repair person. They came twice but we unable to make any repair but show me a part that they thought might be causing the problem. Sears overnighted me the part and I was able to install it. It did seem to initially fix the problem but now (October 2017) about 15 months later, I again have the same problem. I have ordered the part again, the controller assembly which apparently should control the defrosting of this coil. Not sure if these parts are poorly made (LG) or that something else is a problem. These refrigerators are not repair friendly.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

On 04/30/16 I purchased a Kenmore Elite refrigerator for $2,774.10. On 05/16/17 our refrigerator stopped cooling in the refrigerator portion as well as the freezer portion ruining all of our food inside of the refrigerator. Sears stated the warranty expired on 04/20/17 and the refrigerator was no longer under warranty. The customer service told me I should have bought the extended warranty. The Sears technician came out to the residence and the technician stated the control board broke on the refrigerator and gave us a part number. The technician also haggled my wife about the price and warranties and continuously harassed her and kept asking her to hold our newborn baby. My wife asked him to leave multiple times and he left.

After purchasing that part it was determined the Sears technician gave us the wrong part number and we were out the cost of the new control board because it was nonrefundable. We had to purchase an additional refrigerator to use while we waited for repairs. The second technician stated the condenser fan motor was out and gave us a part number for that. We purchased that part and it was the wrong part as well. Parts are extremely hard to get from the manufacturing company and some parts are on back order for months. This particular part is the lifeline of the refrigerator which should withstand more than a years’ worth of normal use without failing.

A top of the line model refrigerator for this particular price should be merchantable, fit for the ordinary purpose for which it is used for and be free from substantial defects. The Kenmore brand alone says “We deliver products that perform at a high level across the home, to get the job done right the first time. We stand behind our products before, during and after purchase. Our goal is to make sure that they’re easy to buy and easy to own.” Sears Holdings Corporation has not lived up to their own advertisement by standing behind their products before, during, and after purchase. They have not delivered a product that performs at a high level across the home.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Kenmore French Door Bottom Freezer Model 253.7034.3419 - We bought this model in December of 2015 and the ice maker has never worked properly despite 3 attempts by Sears service personnel to make repairs. Thank goodness we purchased an extended warranty or this unit would be sitting on the curb for a yard sale. It's a bit ironic because we selected this unit because it appeared to have the largest ice maker of all the other units. So here we sit, waiting on the fourth visit by Sears service technicians and no guarantee this next service call will actually get the ice maker to work. All the other functions seem to work properly, but as an ice maker, it fails miserably. If you are considering this model, beware the ice maker.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Stay as far away from this product as you can. I paid almost 3000.00 for this French Door refrigerator (Kenmore Elite refrigerator manufactured by LG) only 2.5 years ago. It started out with a weird chemical smell last week which I later learned was Freon. Then everything went from cool to room temp in a day or so and since the warranty is up on it I decided to cut my losses and purchase a new refrigerator. According to other online reviews this is a typical problem with these refrigerators. My trusted repairman won't even work on them. He says they are junk and even if you fix the leak you will be doing it again in 6 mos to a year. I am very disappointed not to mention the fact that I had to shell out another 2000.00 for another refrigerator. Sears, I am done with you.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Kenmore Elite (Grab-N-Go) Bottom Freezer Refrigerator - The ice maker quit working while still under warranty. End of June it took 2 weeks to get someone to come and look at it July 13. Person had to order parts and come back July 28. Still did not work, more parts and come back August 15. Still did not work, more parts and come back Sept 27. Yet again more parts and come back today Oct 6. If you had not figured it out yet. It still does not work. They are going to come back again.

I have had 3 different Techs and the same part was replaced 3 times along with other parts. Now they say the problem could be something different. If this is Kenmore Elite I can only guess what less than ELITE would be like. I ask person a call center about replacing the entire refrigerator and she was not helpful and would not address my questions. I asked to speak to her supervisor and she hung up on me. I called back and got another person who was helpful and spoke to a supervisor who tried to be helpful, but I think I ask questions not on his script. But he was nice and tried to be helpful.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I just bought my appliances this past January 2017 at Sears. They are all Kenmore products. I've had the worst experience ever. My Kenmore Pro fridge leaking water all over my floors. Calling Sears customer service and they are the worst people. I've been trying since September 2, 2017 trying to get this fridge fixed and it's October 5th and still fighting with them. I am still under warranty and I bought extended warranty for $500.00. My advice don't buy Kenmore and don't buy at Sears! I won't even start with all the other appliances.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

My compressor failed twice within 5 years. The extended warranty had just run out the second time, so we decided not to pay the $600+ to replace it. The ordeal in just getting the first one was horrible - we were without a fridge for weeks. Then we found out 7 months later that it was also failing! Never buy LG/Kenmore refrigerators!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Generally the Kenmore 795.76209.900 fridge has worked fine for the 3 years I've had it. Complaints include I can put up with a few dents from the ultra thin sheet metal cabinet (Does it really have to be that thin??!! Can almost dent it with fingernail!!!), but the cheap plastic freezer compartment guide rail takes the cake. It broke, now I feel like I've BEEN HAD paying $75.00 with shipping for the replacement part. Am worried the other side will break as well, so trying not to use the upper freezer rack for a week until the part arrives. Otherwise I would REALLY FEEL CHEATED for way over a hundred dollars for $2 worth of molded plastic that should have been made more durable in the first place.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

After reporting the glass in my year old Kenmore Elite refrigerator exploded. This is a serious safety concern. Buyer beware!! The only thing they would say is warranty is up really??? This is a hazardous product to have in your home. Customer service was terrible. I have many pictures. I will no longer purchase Kenmore appliances.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I purchased my Kenmore Elite 13 months ago. Just like most people on this site the compressor & some other crap is no good. I have been without a refrigerator for about 40 days. Every time I call the service repair I am transferred at least 3 times, nobody can give a straight answer. I just want to know when is it going to be fixed!!!! Yesterday the Sears guy came out to fix it. Now the ice maker doesn't work. I will NEVER purchase another Sears appliance. I don't even know if I should call them or just get it fixed myself. Sears your customer service is horrible!!!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

We first purchased our Kenmore Elite french door refrigerator about 5 years ago. Right after our one-year warranty had expired we started having issues. The fan in the freezer would freeze over, causing a terrible, loud noise, and causing the freezer to warm. Then the ice maker would quit. After numerous Sears repairmen came and replaced the compressor, the computer panel, defrosted the fan, etc. etc. they finally offered us a new frig. Our now two-year-old frig is beginning to have all the same issues. It is making a terrible noise as the freezer fan has frozen again. We have thawed it out numerous times for this same problem, but it recurs over and over. Now the door water/ice has stopped.

My sister has a two-year old exact model Kenmore elite frig, and they have already had theirs replaced for the same reason. I can understand one lemon, but three? Today we had another repairman out (not Sears), and he told us these refrigerators are no longer made in the US and the quality has plummeted. He said our problems are very common, unfortunately, and he would NEVER buy one himself. So do not listen to reviews of those who have only had one for under a year... they will have problems soon enough I'm sure. It looks pretty enough, but having TWO $2800 refrigerators malfunction when they are only two years old is incredibly frustrating. DO NOT BUY!!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I've had my Kenmore Elite/LG made refrigerator for 13 months. I have replaced compressor once. It lasted just barely 90 days making the warranty on it no good. So now I have a 2500 dollar refrigerator that I will have to keep putting money into for as long as I own. It’s sad Kenmore or most all refrigerators would last for many years.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I purchased a Kenmore Elite Refrigerator just over 2 years ago. Just after the manufacturer’s warranty expired the condenser went bad. I had to purchase the extended warranty for them to repair it. Just this past weekend the freezer and refrigerator stopped cooling. I called my local appliance repair man and he said it was a bad compressor. Estimated cost $700. Had to call Sears and get the extended warranty again which was another $370. My scheduled appt is 2 weeks away as this was the soonest they could come out. Luckily I have a Whirlpool Refrigerator in the basement that I haven't had any problems with for close to 15 years. Unless you are willing to shell out $370 a year for an extended warranty I would not recommend buying any Kenmore refrigerators. They are junk! Highly disappointed!!!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

We bought a Kenmore freezer 2 years ago in June. We saw a leak underneath recently and found they had applied aluminum foil to the connections. This was not something a long-time, multiple-Kenmore-purchasing customer would have noticed within their 1-year warranty. The compressor is also REALLY hot, as is the heat exchanger. Sears made us pay $99 to have their repair guy out, who glued more insulation to the line, told us the compressor temperature and the aluminum foil was acceptable, did not give me a receipt and left. The freezer is leaking today (one day later) and his insulation fell off. Sears (in the Philippines call center) won't stand behind the defect or the repair (to send another tech is another $99). We won't be buying ANYTHING from Kenmore or Frigidaire (the manufacturer) ever again.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

Kenmore Elite Bottom Freezer Refrigerator: Three years ago we moved to Key West, refurbished our home and purchased a complete line of Kenmore appliances from the local store. Two days ago we awoke to a large puddle of water on the kitchen floor. Upon further examination, we discovered that our freezer portion of our refrigerator stopped working and that all of our food had thawed. We immediately called the repair # listed on the back of our Sears/Kenmore instruction manual. After an hour and a half run around between departments, we were cut off.

We then called back, explained what had just happened and were told someone would call us back within 24-48 hours to set up a repair. When they returned the call the rude CSR told us that they have no one in our area to work on our refrigerator and that there was nothing they could do for us. In other words, the 3 year old $2700 refrigerator was junk. From what I have read online this refrigerator has a known history of this type of problem. I can not believe what I thought was a reputable company can sell a product, offer a warranty and then completely wash their hands off it when there is a problem. We will never again buy anything from Sears and I hope everyone else learns from our hard lesson.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

If you buy a Kenmore Elite French door be very sure you are buying one made by Whirlpool not made by LG. If you are told it is a LG, RUN. I have a $2000 Kenmore Elite French Door bought Aug. 09, 2013 that I am junking. Had it worked on by the only local guy locally. He put on new parts and could not fix. Takes Sears home repair at least 3 weeks to come. Sears does not offer any help and could care less. Wants you to buy a warranty for $49.95 a month to cover repairs up to $500. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING LG or KENMORE ELITE.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

Purchased on 2/16/15. Delivered 4/2/15. 8/22/15 - Called for repair - Motor broke -- All food spoiled. Several repairs and parts ordered over months. Motor broke, Motherboard broke, 6 boxes of "parts" delivered to house for install. Still no fridge to use. Sears offered no loaner, nothing for our family. After working for 1 month with Christian, from the Los Altos Appliance Dept., a new one was traded out in November 2015 -- I purchased 3 year extended warranty on the replacement.

7/28/17 - Fridge. temp read 33 degrees ** but food felt less cold to touch. 8/4 - 8/6/17-- All food spoiling. went to Los Altos Sears for help. Salesman said they couldn't help. Said to call 800 - 4 my home. 8/6/17 - Called above number and was placed on "emergency" repair list by Greg. Soonest appt. may be Aug 15th but they may call to come in "at a moments notice" anytime before then if there is extra time in the schedule, maybe. Getting an ice chest for milk, etc and taking any food that is still good, to friends for them to keep cold in their fridge. Now we wait 9 days??? I have emails with the Sears Help websites. So many years of Sears good name just.

Original review: July 31, 2017

Our 16 month old refrigerator has been down for over a month. Sears does not stand behind its products. It does not stand behind it parts guarantee. Sears does not care about customer satisfaction or inconvenience. Its help desk of of no value. The parts we need are made by LG for Kenmore and have been out of stock since at least 6 July. Our most recent possible date to repair is 8 August if the parts happen to be delivered. We are beyond frustrated and disappointed in Sears -- if it did care we would have expected Sears to have offered a loaner for our 3000 dollar investment.

Original review: July 31, 2017

I purchased a Kenmore Refrigerator May 2016, 2 months out of warranty and the ice maker doesn't work. It's outrageous to me that a $675 refrigerator has a broken part after only 14 months that will take hundreds of dollars to evaluate and repair. Kenmore appliances are not made to last. I will never purchase another Kenmore appliance again!

Original review: July 30, 2017

Kenmore Coldspot Model 106.51129212 - The water recapture bay for the ice maker, that is integrated into the freezer door has no drainage. It was difficult to remove, and seems to be poorly designed. The ice maker takes up much of the storage space on the freezer door. The refrigerator shelving adjustment options are poorly designed as well. After owning Kenmore refrigerator products for over 40 years, My overall experience with this model has been disappointing.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I bought this Kenmore "Elite" refrigerator in 11/15 and its first service call was 5/17, barely 18 months later. The Freon needed to be replaced due to a faulty valve (which will recur in about 2 years due to a design problem) -- that cost $400. Six weeks later, the food was not being kept cold and now I'm told the compressor needs to be replaced! And the warranty covers the parts, but, of course, not the labor. Save yourself time and money -- DO NOT BUY KENMORE ANYTHING ANYMORE! This used to be a trusted name in appliances, but no more. The washer I bought 9 months ago doesn't get clothes clean (another review).

Original review: July 24, 2017

I would advise anyone shopping for a new refrigerator to steer clear of Kenmore elite refrigerators. $2200. On sale less than 3 yrs ago. Plus additional $800 for master warranty. Ice maker stopped working and temperature in refrigerator in the high 60's. Problems started mid June. It is now July 24th. 3 visits from repair tech still not working. Another 17 day lead time for another appt. You have to send blanket emails, make countless calls to get anywhere. If you were counting on LEGENDARY Sears customer satisfaction motto forget it. Research online and you can read for yourself the multiple posting of customers having serious issues with this fridge. I regret not researching my choice better. BUYER BEWARE!

Original review: July 22, 2017

Feeling super aggravated at the moment. Bought a Kenmore Elite refrigerator from Sears last year. Now not even a year later the bottom freezer has stopped working completely. I've called for service and it took a month for someone to come out. Then parts had to be ordered. Another month for that wait. The man who came out to put the new part in had no clue what he was doing. When he left he said give it 24hours and it should be working. Nope nothing. So I called in yet another service appointment which was a month away and was set for today. Three o'clock rolls around no call. I finally call them and get a live person. Guess what. The guy called in sick and no one bothered to call and yup you guessed it they want to change the service date to August 23 another month.

I live in Mississippi and the heat index is currently 108. No joke. I depend on the ice. My freezer once made for my 2 huge bloodhounds and other animals to stay cool. I've talked to some nice people at Sears today and some not so nice people but at the end of the day I'm still left unsatisfied and completely shocked. Sears you disappointed me once with a window AC unit that took 3 months to get replaced in the hottest part of summer. I swore then that I'd never be duped again. I decided to give you one more shot and am still left with long irritated calls and no resolution. So to other consumers please just go with another company if you want fast reliable service or appliances that work...

Kenmore Refrigerators Company Information