Call toll free
3.38/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Recognized as a top appliance brand for 100 years, Kenmore brings a new level of performance with appliances that deliver time savings, convenience and great results. From quickly cooling drinks to laundry loads completed in less time, Kenmore is the most awarded brand in the industry.

The Kenmore brand understands its customers’ wants and needs. Being in the lives of over 100 million Americans, performance innovations are a top priority of Kenmore product development. Ongoing engagement with our customers before, during and after purchases will help us maintain the honor of industry leader.

Kenmore Appliances Video
Kenmore Appliances Gallery (1)
B-BBB Rating
View More View More

2404 Kenmore Refrigerators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I purchased the Kenmore 51792 side-by-side refrigerator in Sept. 2016. The freezer started to warm and eventually stopped working in October 2018. The evaporator and condenser failed. Repair total is $1,292. The unit is, of course, out of warranty. The unit is crap. The reputable appliance repair shop recommended staying away from Kenmore for the replacement. The unit was a total waste of money.

Get expert buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

My Kenmore refrigerator is 2 years old. The freezer compartment keeps shorting and will defrost and refreeze again. This has been happening for 2 months while I have been waiting for Sears service because they no showed on me 2xs! I finally gave up on them and called a local repair company to come out today. They said the error is on the compressor and it is failing. I need a new compressor and with parts and labor it is close to $1000! He just left another home with the same refrigerator and the same exact problem!

Apparently the product only has a 1 YR warranty! What a ripoff! I spent close to $2000 on this and now I have to get a new refrigerator or fix this piece of crap... which isn't guaranteed! Dealing with the Sears service department has been a joke and quite honestly I am at my wit's end! Of course they are backed up for months for repairs when all of their products are failing! These Kenmore products apparently are not what they used to be and who is going to protect the consumer who is paying a small fortune for them! They should be recalled immediately! Very bad business.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Purchased Kenmore Pro Elite and did not work on delivery with door sensor and icemaker then would not work. That was fixed. Then compressor broke and 2 months waiting for Sears repairman and parts... They replaced it which was under warranty but 330 in labor. I paid and failed in 2 days. Now another month wait. I called and called. They hung up and never sent reimbursement. I had to buy a new refrigerator after 3 months without a refrigerator.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

After having all Kenmore kitchen appliances that lasted over 15 years, I decided to go with Kenmore for everything again. Turns out the quality is no longer the same. Appliances are less than 3 years old and today the refrigerator and freezer both stopped working. It's a counter depth, Kenmore Pro series, freezer on the bottom. After doing some research today, I found out that it's made by LG. The cost of the refrigerator with the additional warranty was about $3,300. So, I call Sears today to schedule a tech to come out and see what's wrong with it. They tell me the soonest emergency service they can schedule is October 19th... 11 days from now!! That's insane! No wonder this company is getting ready to close. I will never purchase Kenmore appliances again!

Updated on 10/15/2018: After doing some research today, it looks like there's a potential class-action lawsuit against Kenmore and LG for these faulty, short-lived compressors. Apparently, this lawsuit also covers the LG compressors hidden behind the Kenmore façade. Here's a link with information about the potential lawsuit: **. Hope everyone with this problem follows through with this, especially after Sears filed chapter 11 bankruptcy today. This means the extended warranties purchased by consumers will be decided in court as far as whether or not Sears will have to honor them.

Also, here's some good info if you run into a problem and need to contact Sears... Inside my refrigerator owner's manual, it mentions that warranty repairs are eligible for rental reimbursement. When I asked Sears about that... they then decided to tell me that they would send me a check for $115 which would cover part of the cost to buy a small refrigerator to use til mine is repaired.

I purchased a small, 3.3 CF fridge (not a Kenmore though!) for just over this price. Also, as mentioned in the owners manual, you can fill out a form to get $250 back from Sears for spoiled food caused by the refrigerator not working. It states that you can claim this $250 one time per year. Again, until I brought this up to Sears, they weren't going to mention it. Hope this info helps other frustrated customers! In the meantime, I'm still waiting for the tech to come out to diagnose what happened to mine. Seems like it was another compressor failure. I should know more on Friday... after 11 days without my refrigerator.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Would not recommend buying any appliance from Sears. Their support is crappy as is their product. Have had our fridge less than 4 years and it has already broke twice. Have spent over 700 on repairs for a 3,000 dollar fridge. Just finished talking to “service guy” who couldn’t find order with phone number and they can’t look up by customer name! Was calling to ensure right part was ordered since the compressor went out and I received a small wire copper tube only. After me having to do the footwork for him to find my order all he did was cancel the service call since the part wasn’t here! Sadly enough it’s no wonder Sears is going under.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kenmore Appliances?

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Purchase date of the fridge - 26 September 2017 $2500.00 at Sears. On 28 September 2018 the compressor on the unit broke. The cost to repair will be upwards of $500. I'm told that thousands of these Kenmore units have the same issue with the compressor and that it was made to last a year only. I need to wait 3 weeks for Sears to schedule the service technician - That equates to 3 weeks minimum with no refrigerator! A local technician told me that the new compressor, once installed, will most likely last a year - possibly two. I wish I would have read the reviews prior to purchasing. Sears should be ashamed of their service and their product and I feel strongly that this refrigerator should be recalled or that there should be a class action lawsuit against Sears/LG/Kenmore. PLEASE - do yourself a favor and stay clear of this product.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

My less than 2 year old $3,999 side by side Sears Kenmore refrigerator freezer stopped working. (Needs new compressor.) Sears response “Pay $941.75 to repair it”. Are you kidding me? I’m 61 years old and never had a refrigerator go bad. What a ripoff! Don’t buy anything from Sears! It’s no wonder they are going bankrupt.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Our Kenmore Elite 72053 French door fridge, made by LG, quit after less than five years. Sealed system started leaking. Sears said it would take weeks for a service call, so my advice is to avoid any Kenmore brands or Sears service, especially since Sears is a dying company. We found a good, local reputable repair person, who told us it would cost $1500 to repair. His advice was to buy the cheapest refrigerator with the fewest features you can tolerate. He said all of today’s refrigerators are cheaply made, even the SubZero. He told us people are lucky to get 5-7 years out of a refrigerator.

We went with a Whirlpool side-by-side for under $1200 and if it lasts for a reasonable period, we will then discard it when it breaks. Meanwhile, our 15-year-old, $400 Frigidaire utility refrigerator in the basement is still going strong. When we tell repair people or salespeople, they say, “Oh, those are the good ones.” BTW, in buying a new fridge, we learned you can wait weeks or months for delivery. Just one of the benefits of a just-in-time supply chain and non-US manufacturing.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Big dollars for blown compressor just 2 years old - "Oh well sorry." Salespeople should be required to tell you that according to customer service and tech support at Sears "They just don't make them like they used to" and that seems to be ok. You spend a few thousand dollars for a year of refrigeration so two years later your appliance will cost another $700. No one cares. Just want to warn you.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I've had a Kenmore Elite Grab-N-Go refrigerator for about two years. This model isn't one of the less expensive models in their line, but rather more on the expensive side. It started having a steady hum and would not stay cold. I checked the product user guide and found that the refrigerator has a feature called "Kenmore Connect". You push a couple of buttons hold up your phone to a small speaker by the door and problems are diagnosed remotely. Pretty cool, except they will only do it if you are still under warranty. It doesn't mention that in the user guide. Ok, how about a service call? OK on September 29. Well, today is September 6th. I expect a refrigerator to last more than two years and have service in a reasonable time frame. I will be on the way first thing in the morning to buy a new refrigerator -- not Kenmore and I have bought Kenmore products almost exclusively for the last fifty years.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I spent $2800 on a new Kenmore Elite French door with bottom freezer. At 18 months it stopped cooling/freezing. The warranty is 12 months so I was not happy. I called to Sears home service and it took 3 WEEKS to get a tech out and I had to pay for a service call. He diagnosed the issue that it was a compressor and said it would cost $435 in labor since the compressor had a 5 year warranty. It took ANOTHER 3 WEEKS to get the tech to come out to replace the compressor which he did. He found out that the 1st tech misdiagnosed and the 2nd tech said it was the main circuit board. He needed to order and it would be an additional $269. Guess what... ANOTHER 3 WEEKS to get yet 3rd tech to come out to install the new circuit board. I will keep you all posted in 3 weeks.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Do not buy Kenmore side by side refrigerator Model 41123. We were assured by the Sears technician that its compressor noise was typical of all new models. After only 14 months, the refrigerator stopped cooling. Good riddance. Piece of junk.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Worst company ever. Rip Offs. Warranty not worth the paper is written on. We purchase a Kenmore Elite Fridge from Sears on 2013 for 3000.00 and warranty for 549.99 for 5 yrs. Since April 2013 they have change 12 parts. Some of them repeat it parts and I'm still having problems with this Kenmore garbage. I have lost food and the warranty dept didn't want to replace fridge or the food because they have to come out more than 5 times which they did because every time they came to fix it they will change 2 or more parts at one time so it wouldn't qualify for it. So now they want to charge me for diagnostic 99.00 and parts and labor or parts that they just change in June of this year that technician told me I had 3 months warranty on parts but they not honoring nothing.

This company should close down. So many good stores keep closing and this worthless rip off store that sells garbage keeps open. Don't trust them. They sell bad appliances. Kenmore is junk. I still own my GE fridge that I purchased at Lowe's 15 yrs ago and it still working in my garage and I have never done any work to it so don't trust Sears with your investment. They don't care about their customers. They should be ashamed of this company. Kenmore is a facade. LG is the brand. Save yourself of lost of food, inconvenience waiting for technicians and parts and mental stress.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

We owned our Kenmore Elite Refrigerator for about 18 months when cooling failed. Appliance repair service said there were two possible causes. One was a replaceable part, the other was the condenser. The condenser is part of the sealed system in a refrigerator that is covered by warranty. The new part didn't resolve the problem. So, the condenser needed to be replaced. I discovered that Kenmore appliances' WARRANTY PERIOD HAD BEEN REDUCED from 3 years TO 1 YEAR. Hence, Kenmore would provide a free new part but would charge for the labor. Labor involving replacing parts within the sealed refrigeration system is costly.

We had already been without refrigeration for 3 weeks. Before contacting Kenmore for warranty service, I decided to do some research. Other customer reports on this site reflected similar condenser failure by the Kenmore Elite Refrigerator within 2 years of purchase. Those who received new condensers and paid the costly labor to install them discovered that the new condensers also failed within 2 years. Being without refrigeration was a very difficult experience. I didn't want to have the experience again in 18 months by having a new faulty condenser installed. So, I decided I was cutting my losses by purchasing a new refrigerator that had a 5 year warranty. I am still flabbergasted that such an expensive appliance can be sold with an obviously faulty part. Consumers need better recourse for such issues.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

August 2016 I went shopping at Sears. I specifically asked to stay away from LG. I know they had many problems and steered clear. The sale associate failed to tell me Kenmores were now made with LG parts. I had my fridge less then 2 years and the compressor and system has failed. It took me 10 days to get a repair guy to come out and 10 more days to schedule for the repair. I can get it under warranty however, I am told I have to pay labor. They obviously are charging me an arm and a leg for labor. I have a Kenmore 13 year old fridge and an old washer and dryer that have lasted. I wanted to stick with what I knew. However, now that they have LG parts you pay the extra money for a small name stuck on the outside of the fridge. I would NEVER buy a Kenmore again, and would recommend others do the same. You are getting an LG fridge. If you want LG they are cheaper with the same parts.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Kenmore Elite French door bottom freezer refrigerator #72099 - Refrigerator was purchased May, 2013. (5 years old now) Recently large blocks of ice were forming inside the freezer compartment. Repair company said the door gasket needed to be replaced. The refrigerator is black. But Sears (LG) no longer makes the gasket in black - just grey or white. The problem is the gasket is visible on both sides when the door is closed so the freezer compartment looks like an oreo cookie - chocolate cookie with cream center. Not exactly the look we purchased at a cost of almost $3k. Love the refrigerator, but we purchased black because we wanted black. Not black and grey. Can't count on Sears anymore.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I purchased a Kenmore refrigerator with a bottom freezer in September 2017. I've had the technician over twice already. The problems associated with this are loss of food; inconvenience and the mental stress I go through each time I call because I have to wait a minimum of seven (7) days for an appointment. When I complained to the 'customer service rep' I was told that they only label appliances non functioning after FOUR visits.

This is a very poor business model from a company whose main product is appliances. So here I am once again in the middle of summer with a refrigerator that is not sending cold air up from the freezer to the refrigerator so I don't even have cold water. Shameful. I would not recommend anyone purchase appliances from them unless they have a guarantee to have service in 24 hours from when the request is made. And yes! I did pay $241 for an extended coverage and the service still sucks.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I was so excited to get my Brand New refrigerator with cool outer snack door. However, my excitement was short lived. Not only was the unit small on the inside. But the snack door would not stay closed unless pushed hard. But the water drips constantly from the ice maker and water dispenser gets stuck and continues to flow water even after you remove your cup. That was just week 1. Now it has stopped making ice or freezing now. I opened the back of the unit to clean it and found the coils were packed with Styrofoam. They were NEVER removed by the installers. I paid $2500 for a Kenmore... Come to find out KENMORE IS A FACADE... REAL MAKER IS LG. Needless to say Kenmore brand is dead. It is no longer a quality name. For a fridge to last less than 3 years is a sign. This is not the first review I see where Kenmore lasted 2 years or less. BUYERS BEWARE!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Kenmore 106.4112 Evap fan rattle after a year, replaced it twice already. Not sure if it is the mounting or the fan itself. The model before that, a Whirlpool had the same fan inside and had to be replaced twice. One online tech assistance thought it might be the bushings, replaced them, did not help.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

The freezer compartment on top does not work correctly... Sears replaced door gasket and that did not fix the 1/8" gap of daylight along the bottom of the freezer compartment seal which makes it impossible to use the freezer compartment. They ordered a new door and a second seal; door is back ordered; perhaps as much as 2 months. Understand there is no visual damage to this unit. It is brand new from the box. The store made both doors to hinge on the left side and reboxed the refer.

I bought this new fridge 2 1/2 month ago and they think they are doing a good job. They say they can't replace the unit with a new one, it's their policy to fix it. All I want them to do is exchange the unit now. I do not want to wait 2 month for my new refer... I hauled it in my truck. Give me a unit that is not defective. Since they apparently won't and this is becoming a real issue my policy is to rip all the cards that say Sears up and to NEVER shop at Sears for anything not even a $5 dollar item, not a pair of socks or a gallon of paint.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

In 2014 I purchased a Kenmore refrigerator. I did not buy the extended warranty. On day 1 when moving the refrigerator in, there were two small dents. I let it go. Then I noticed within a month that the water dispenser was dripping on the finish. The black finish flaked off and rust set in. I have been sanding and painting for four years. My advice do not purchase a Kenmore side by side. No one really stands by their product unless you want to pay a lot. It's frustrating. Since I'm not rolling in the bucks I will have to keep trying to figure this out.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

My wife and I purchased this 2700.00 Elite refrigerator 79574043.411 from Sears in July 2016. In August 2018 it stopped working. I called Sears on August 4 and I was told they could not come to my home to diagnose the problem until August 17. Meanwhile all my food had spoiled. I had a home warranty. They were able to come out to my home on August 8 (5 days later). They said the unit had a leak and all the Freon had escaped. The appliance repair said Sears would cover the parts but they couldn’t repair/touch as it would void the Sears warranty. So I called Sears. They said yes that it’s covered under warranty but I would have to pay the labor and wait until August 17, 2018. After multiple phone call to overseas customer service, they finally agreed to come to my house that day.

The friendly technician arrived today. They said that my compressor went out - not Freon issue. Said the parts are covered but labor will cost me 345 dollars. They said they can’t come back for 2.5 - 3 weeks. I scheduled and paid the costs but who knows. So basically this 3,000 refrigerator is costing me a ton of money and time without refrigerator. I think they need. Way to go Sears - now you know why you’re still in financial ruin.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Thought I was getting a good product. Have bought Kenmore Elite in the past. Paid $2500 for refrigerator in Nov 2016. Less than 2 years later, the fridge is warm. Same story as others. Sears can't come out for 2 weeks. Had another company come out next day and they confirmed the freon was gone. Apparently there is a leak in a "sealed unit?" Compressor was hot and coils were not. Can't complain to anyone because call center is offshore and they do not understand. I called customer service and they said they would have to transfer me. This happened 4 times before I couldn't take it anymore and hung up. You can't get to Kenmore Corporate. All contact info is pointed to Sears. Is there a class action lawsuit I can join?

I have appointment scheduled for them to come out in 2 weeks, but I'm afraid they will say it will be $1k or more to fix it. Less than 2 years old. I shouldn't have to fix it. The tech that came out told me my Kenmore is made up of LG parts. If I wanted an LG I would of bought that brand? Why do they do that? Oh and my Kenmore dishwasher crapped the bed a few short months ago too! I replaced it with a Bosch. I will NEVER spend another dime at Sears or on a Kenmore appliance again!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Bought a Kenmore refrigerator Nov 2017, under warranty, repair techs out twice, two more scheduled repairs. They were a no show, Philippines based customer care is incompetent. DON'T BUY KENMORE! SEARS IS DEAD!

Original review: July 26, 2018

I purchased a Kenmore 111.7121 and it died within 24 hours of receipt. Called Kenmore. They informed me they could have a tech out on Saturday (4 days w/o a refrigerator) and for some reason they think that is acceptable... They don't have a food spoilage policy which is very poor due to the amount of poor products they are producing. It is very sad, everyone is still hoping and praying Kenmore name returns back to their original great products from the past.

Original review: July 17, 2018

Paid $2300 for this Sears Kenmore elite refrigerator and less than 3 years old it's total junk. Stopped working!! Had 5 different guys out to diagnose and fix it and all 5 appliance repair people said they can't fix it! Sears is the bottom of the barrel with quality anymore. Including their craftsman tools that are no longer made in America. CRAFTSMAN TOOLS ARE ALL MADE IN CHINA! That’s right, Sears has sold out to China (and their prices are still the highest). Never ever again will I ever even step into another Sears store! That’s how I feel after getting ripped off on this refrigerator! This week I have to go out and buy another refrigerator and take the $2300 loss!

Original review: July 8, 2018

Kenmore Elite Refrigerator - I have owned this refrigerator for less than 2 years and it had stopped working. It took 2 weeks for Sears to even be able to come out to look at it. He diagnosed it was the compressor and another 2 weeks for the part to arrive and be replaced. He came back out and replaced the compressor. That night the refrigerator never got colder than 60°. I am currently waiting another week for them to return to look at it again at which point it will probably take another 2 weeks to order another part and install it. I am looking to see if there are any lawsuits against Sears ad obviously these are faulty parts on their refrigerators. And I am extremely disappointed to find out that it is an LG brand refrigerator under Kenmore's name. So very unhappy.

Original review: July 3, 2018

My wife and I purchased a $2k Kenmore Elite fridge 4-1/2 years ago with all reviews at the time as 4.5 to 5 stars. The fridge quit working a couple of weeks ago so we called Sears and they could not send a tech out for over a week. Then they tried to sell an extended warranty for $50/Month + service call. I then called a local repair guy that came out to inform me that the compressor died.

Kenmore are apparently famous for this, and the fridge is made by LG which is also a Samsung. Not going to spend a thousand dollars to fix when it is only good for another year or two. Not being brand loyal, the repair person told us which brands are good and which ones to avoid. He has been banned from writing reviews and his reviews get removed. He also informed us that said brands spend 80% of the costs on marketing and 20% on the product. Knowledge is power, talk to somebody local that is not brand loyal when you purchase something of any significant cost associated with it.

Original review: June 30, 2018

BUYER BEWARE – KENMORE REFRIGERATOR. November 30, 2016 I purchased a Kenmore Elite 795.74093.411/Seri#607R00046. June 25, 2018 it stopped working (less than 18 months), I lost everything in it. I phoned Sears and found out that it was no longer under warranty and I will have to pay full price. I went online and looked at the Consumer Report - out of 54 reviews - 38 are 1 Star. Sears - out of 55 reviews - 37 are 1 Star. Amazon has 2 reviews - 1st is out of 3 - 3 are 1 star / 2nd review is 2.5 out of 5 stars with a 67% 1 star rating. TopRefrigerator Reviews.com 2,696 Views – 2.32 star out of 42 votes. NO RECALL was done on item.

Sales clerk at Sears in Rancho Cucamonga, CA on Friday June 29 2018 around 6:45 p.m. – She told me that KENMORE does not make refrigerators to last, that is why you have to buy the extended warranty which cost $499.99 and keep it current for any future problems. NOTE... it only covers 25% cost of parts. I was also told by her that Kenmore is not a Sears Brand. Funny when I look up Kenmore all phone numbers lead to SEARS.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Our 4 and 1/2 year old Kenmore Elite refrigerator quit working on June 7, 2018. I called Sears and they said they could not get to our house to service it until 6/13. I had no choice but to wait. When the technician got here, he said it was the compressor. Even though the refrigerator was a Kenmore, he said it was built by LG, and they are notorious for bad compressors. He told me there were all kinds of lawsuits against them because the parts are bad, and it takes a long time to get them. Sears also does not have enough techs, so the customer has to wait weeks to get their product fixed. He put in a brand new compressor, and it did not work. He got another one out of his truck, installed it, and it didn't work either. He said another one would have to be ordered and delivered to my house, and he could be back 6/20, the next available date, to install it.

Today, I get an email from Sears telling me they are trying to confirm that we had received the part, which we did on Fri, 6/15. When I called them, they informed me that another part had to be ordered, but would not be delivered until 6/20, before the end of the day, and that our service appt would have to be rescheduled for 6/26, meaning that we were going to have to go another week without a working refrigerator!

This is the first I have heard about this other part, and no one could tell me why or what it was for. I talked to several people, all in the Philippines, and they were no help and did not care. We have lost hundreds of dollars of food that has gone bad, and have spent hundreds more having to eat out. These people are not helping or taking care of this customer, and we have no choice but to take it. What is the recourse for the consumer? We spent $3200 on this refrigerator, that was supposed to be top of the line. Now, it has quit working and they can't seem to fix it after only 4 1/2 years! Consumers should not be treated this way. HELP!!!

Kenmore Appliances expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Kenmore is a recognized brand in the appliance industry and has been around over 100 years. Kenmore offers high-quality refrigerators in a wide range of sizes and models at affordable prices.

• Variety: Kenmore offers a huge selection of appliances, from mini-refrigerators to giant, commercial appliances.

• Price: Kenmore has products at a number of different price points, including discount and luxury items.

• Warranties: Kenmore refrigerators are protected from damage or defects up to one year from the date of installation. Defective items will receive a full repair or replacement.

• Luxury models: Kenmore offers many top-of-the-line luxury models and options, such as french-cut doors with stainless steel construction and GeniusCool technology.

• Commercial products: Kenmore offers commercial products for restaurants and consumers who are in need of extra-large refrigerators.

• Best for: Homeowners, businesses and restaurants interested in purchasing a refrigerator.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs