2.61/5
Based on 266 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Recognized as a top appliance brand for 100 years, Kenmore brings a new level of performance with appliances that deliver time savings, convenience and great results. From quickly cooling drinks to laundry loads completed in less time, Kenmore is the most awarded brand in the industry.

The Kenmore brand understands its customers’ wants and needs. Being in the lives of over 100 million Americans, performance innovations are a top priority of Kenmore product development. Ongoing engagement with our customers before, during and after purchases will help us maintain the honor of industry leader.

Kenmore Appliances Video
Kenmore Appliances Gallery (1)
B-BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 23, 2018

2097 Kenmore Refrigerators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Hidden fees on warranty. Do not buy! Bought Sears Kenmore Elite refrigerator 11-2015. Today is 2-14-18. Model 79574O25411. Outside of one year of purchase they wanted $155 to send technician out to "diagnose" problem. Then I would be expected to pay labor rate plus any parts outside of warranty in addition to service call fee. I paid another company $75 to diagnose that the compressor was bad. The compressor is under warranty but sears customer service refused to provide compressor as you must use their service people and pay their going rate EVEN IF THE PART IS UNDER WARRANTY. This is practically a new refrigerator ($2500+) with a major part bad (compressor $300+tax). I found out after that this Kenmore Elite is a rebrand (actually made by LG). It had been rated by Consumer Reports as a good model to buy. This is not the case.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Kenmore appliances used to be reliable but have gone down so much that my husband as a builder, after using them for over 15+ years finally had to recently switch brand/distributors. Where to begin?! Less than one month after installation the refrigerator ice maker broke. Fixed it and it broke again. Now we just buy ice. We are so sick of dealing with appts etc.

It's loud and seems to always be making all kinds of crazy noises. Our double oven also new - from the get go convection fan wasn't and still isn't working properly even after being “fixed”. Top element rattles loud even though screwed in tight, service tells us it's because the inside is made so cheap they all rattle even if tightened - nothing they can do about it. So every time we cook we have to listen to a loud rattle. Every day I am reminded how much I despise Sears and Kenmore appliances for the garbage they sold us, wasted our money, and didn't stand behind. Our flat top stove is the only thing I love.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I purchased a Kenmore Elite Bottom Refrigerator from Sears and I had a total of three major repairs the last being a new compressor. This last incident was on Friday, February 2, 2018. Buyer be mindful that the Kenmore Elite does not have Kenmore product with Kenmore parts but LG parts. You must pay attention to the model #. Refrigerators that have their parts are GE, Whirlpool and Frigidaire. The time for a replacement part with Sears is a minimum of two weeks. This means I have no Refrigerator. The lemon law requires 4 repairs in a year. I had four but they failed to record to keep good records.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I am joining the conversation about the Kenmore Elite refrigerator. Our 2.5 year old fridge died on January 1st, 2018. After two visits from repairmen, the first guy ordered a part and we waited ten days, and then the second repairman came to install the part and said it was the wrong part, we need a new compressor. We are in need of a part to go with the compressor, a valve, that is just now being manufactured and they have no idea when this valve will be ready. Of course, I have to call Sears to see when the part will be available. No wonder Sears is going out of business, shoddy appliances, uninformed supervisors that can barely read off the of their scripts. I feel there is no one to turn to help alleviate this situation but am at the mercy of whenever Sears gets around to manufacturing parts. Stay away from Sears.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

My sweet wife purchased the Kenmore refrigerator/freezer seven months ago. The purpose was to place it in our attached backroom and keep gourmet meats, game, wild fish and wild game fowl in the freezer, and store non-perishable refrigerated items in the refrigerator section. I am a gourmet chef and I enjoy cooking special meals for my wife, children and guests. She opened the freezer two evenings ago and found most of the meats were soft. We disposed of the fowl and fishes immediately. We inspected the meats and saved some. The next morning the freezer temperature was 20℉. Oh joys, the appliance works sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't. Not a good place to store food safely.

She called Kenmore warranty and got a person quickly. Sure we can get someone out there in a few weeks. My wife attempted to get a serviceman quickly as we have, had expensive meats, some at $60.00 per pound. Next Tuesday was provided, sadly we needed to turn it down as we will be with our special son in a hospital that day. So the day was pushed out a week. Still it was better than a few weeks. Would I suggest buying an appliance from Kenmore, (company owned by Whirlpool), no, never, please do not. A device which works correctly, then fails, then works again. I am glad we noticed as I have had food poisoning twice which is very painful and can be life threatening.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kenmore Appliances?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

Do not buy any refrigerator from Kenmore. They do not stand behind their products. I have a two year old refrigerator (Kenmore elite refrigerator) that has rust spots all over the outside doors that should be a defect in the material but they refuse to do anything about it.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

When is a warranty not a warranty. We have a Kenmore French Door Bottom Freezer Model # 253.7034341d. With 2 weeks of purchase the ice maker failed and Yep service showed up to repair it. They also showed up to repair it the next 5 times it failed. They have replaced all the components, stuffed in insulation and today they applied caulking around all the joints because they didn't have a solution. If we're down to applying caulking doesn't it stand to reason that seals and the design are flawed?

I want this unit replaced but no, here comes the Sears runaround: I've been told you have to have 7 service calls first, you have to have parts replaced 4 times and you have to have 3 service calls in 90 days. WHICH IS IT? The repair people say none of that is true. If after 10 months of repairs and it still is flawed is the warranty real? I think it's past time to replace this unit. If this is how Sears treats customers who have been with them for 40 years then it's no wonder their stores are closing.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I bought a Sears Kenmore Elite Refrigerator 795.71053.014 a couple of years ago. The bottom freezer floor fills with water and freezes and eventually leaks all over the floor. It has ruined that section of my floor. Sears came out once to fix it but the problem came right back.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

After reviewing the Sears website and looking at the complaints I have discovered that the Kenmore Elite has a known issue with the compressor. My fridge is only a little over a year old. The tech ordered my part on Jan 3rd and it still as of today 1/17 shows that the order is pending. Meanwhile my family is trying to live out of a mini fridge. After all the complaints and bad service reviews it should be that they have these parts on hand. This service and inability to get me my part is unacceptable. I spent over 3K on this appliance and to have it go out so soon after purchase is frustrating and I am not getting any answers. I don't recommend Sears.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Our new refrigerator (Kenmore Elite) has had 2 repair calls. Not working. We have a warranty. I have lost all our food since almost 2 months ago. Taking time off work. Late going back to work. HELP!!!! LOSING SLEEP AND TIME OFF JOB!!! OH, NO FOOD REPLACED YET!!!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Compressor went out on Kenmore Elite Refrigerator after 4years. Several reviews show here is a known compressor issue yet Sears fails to recognize it. Sears offered to have technicians come out in 2 weeks at our expense. Very poor quality product and Michelle at the resolution center has very poor customer service skills. She made it very clear that Sears does not care about long time customers.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Brought 3 refrigerators from Sears in 2 weeks. All was Kenmore's. The first two I had to return right because the ice maker didn't work. The 3rd was the Kenmore Elite. Since it was so expensive and big, I thought it was a good refrigerator. Well I was wrong! It sucks just like the other two! After 24 months the refrigerator just stopped working! All of my food went bad, the ice maker and freezer stopped work! Only thing working is the water dispenser. When I call Sears, they want to charge me a $99 service fee plus I have to pay for parts and labor because the warranty is only a year! $2500 FOR A REFRIGERATOR THAT WORKED 24 MONTHS! SERIOUSLY??

KENMORE IS A RIP OFF AND THEY SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO SELL THESE APPLIANCES THAT DON'T WORK. Taking customer's hard earned money! If you want to buy a good product that works, DON'T BUY KENMORE APPLIANCES. These Refrigerators are for looks only! I will not recommend Kenmore appliances to my family or friends and I will not buy any more appliances from Sears. Consumer Affairs please stop Kenmore ripping us off by selling these bad appliances that don't work. Now we're stuck with a. $2500.00 refrigerator that don't work! SAD???

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

When we moved into our new home in the Spring of 2016, we decided to keep the Kenmore refrigerator as it was less than 2 years old. Mistake! In the 18 months since we've replaced the icemaker valves 6 times (1 lower valve, 3 upper valves and 2 replacements of upper valves that failed--again--while the repair was still under warranty). This product is manufactured by LG. WAY too much aggravation for a 2 year old fridge. Safe to say that when we replace it, we will not consider Kenmore OR LG product lines.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Not really getting too cold but I see I am having what I have read about with multiple reviews on their Elite, 2 Door with bottom freezer are having. The freezer coils, freezing over. It seems to show an Error code of FF. The coils, for various reasons, freeze over. Mine is a little over 4 yrs. I have read where some say they are regular happenings that they defrost every year almost. Then you have the problem of finding someone to work on them, A lot of the local repair stores in my area would not touch them claiming getting parts are hard so I wound up calling Sears new A&E repair service since their brick and mortar stores are almost closed.

They came and then told me they usually had no problem working on them but then I had to wait a few days to get the part they claimed was faulty, the thermistor, and then it took me a week or a little more to have them come back to install the part. So if you don't have a backup fridge, this may not be the fridge for you. They are LG so you might as well consider them also. Same fridge and same problems. The bottom line is they are hard to find repair stores to work on them, they are hard to get parts for and then they may even be hard to get the parts installed on them. In the meantime, mine did continue to run but I had a few things that thawed out the first time the problem showed itself. I would not recommend them as a good purchase.

\

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

Not satisfied with Kenmore products. I bought dishwasher, stove washer, and dryer from them. All my appliances have had issues. Thankful I bought outsource warranty company. Only they cannot cover refrigerator compressor. Said that it was covered by Sears. Now dealing with Sears warranty they want to charge 89.00 for service call. If they find more wrong they will charge me for the parts. Never will I buy from Sears ever again. When you call them you can barely understand what they are saying. They hung up on me because I want to talk with manager. After reading all the reviews I struggle what to do.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

We purchased a Kenmore French door refrigerator last year in October. After several attempts by two different techs to get our ice maker to work without freezing up, they sent us a replacement. Well, guess what? Same problem. I worked in the refrigeration business for over 35 years as a service tech and tried to explain to these two parts changers what the problem was... that there is a design problem with the area that the tubing comes into ice maker. It allowed ambient air into the freezer and cause not only the tube to freeze but frost to form at the back of the cabinet.

Well, we had them out here 3 more times and at least the ice maker kept working. But the frost problem persisted and now there’s a water leak during the fill stage that locks the door in place CLOSED!! Guess what? Yep, it’s not under warranty. If I could I'd load this piece of junk up in my truck and dump it in the headquarters' front office. I was always a lifelong Sears customer..I wouldn’t get anything from them again if they gave it to me.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I purchased a high end Kenmore Elite refrigerator and it worked great for a total of 18 months before the compressor died. I kept trying to call Sears support (non-support) and I kept getting people in India that could hardly speak English. After days of contacting, I finally got a response from support on Twitter. They gave me a contact number to call. Of course it was once again India and when going over the issue again they said I had no warranty. I explained it was a Kenmore 5 year warranty for the compressor and they said no. Anyway, they set up an appointment for a tech to come out.

Two days later I get an automated call from Sears to call them at that same India 800 number. The automated menu system said I have no appointment. After pressing 0 a dozen times I get to talk to someone that could almost speak English and they said they have to reschedule my appointment which will be 2 weeks out. I had no other choice at this point. All of my food is ruined so I went out and bought another $800.00 fridge just to get by while my $2899.99 fridge sits dead waiting for service. The tech came out and said he will have to order the compressor and it will cost me an extra $330.00 to have it installed AND that it will only last about a year and a half. Well... I am screwed! Thanks for the hard time screwing Sears, Kenmore and LG! I found that these refrigerators are actually LG.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

The refrigerator was here when we bought the house, It's stainless steel & constantly needs to be wiped down. The shelves are very hard to clean and the water dispenser leaks as well as the ice dispenser freezes up.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

October 26 my ice maker went out. Service appointment was November 8. Technician said part was ordered. I had another appointment. Sears called and said part was back ordered. Set up appointment for December 5. I get recorded messages saying that tech. will not be at my house unless I confirm getting part. Called Sears, my call got dropped twice. Talk to CS. They said they would have to call me back that system was working slowing. Called back 30 minutes later. CS said part was back ordered and they don't know when it will come.

I have had this fridge for a year this month. I was promised it would be fixed by Thanksgiving. It was not. I was promised it would be fixed on December 5th. I am so beyond words to describe this. Why is there not a part for a fridge that is not a year old? I asked to talk to someone higher up than customer service. I was told that there is not one higher. What is a consumer to do???

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

We bought our Kenmore-87 in 1987 and it still works great. It looks outdated, but works so well we can't rationalize replacing it. I don't know if Kenmore is still available.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

This Kenmore refrigerator is the loudest running I've ever had and the freezer leaks water into bottom compartment. I am looking for a quiet running replacement at the present time.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I bought this fridge 8 years ago & haven't had any problems. Now with Sears closing, I don't know what I'll buy next time. The last Kenmore fridge I had lasted 20 years.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Me and my wife decided to upgrade to the best refrigerator on the market we thought!!! So we gave our 10 year old Kenmore refrigerator to a friend of ours to upgrade to Kenmore Elite refrigerator! The first year we had it the ice maker had to be repaired then a few months later it frosted up and that had to be repaired!!! Now just over two years old the compressor has gone out! We have been without a refrigerator going on two month! Have had two service calls and it is still not repaired! I Don't know what to do. I thought a refrigerator was a long lasting appliance! Not to have to replace every other year! This Refrigerator is a Lemon!!! Help!!!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Refrigerator was deemed a total failure after only 4 years of use. It had only a one year warranty. It would have cost more than the cost of a new one to repair. I will never buy a Kenmore product again.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

The Kenmore refrigerator was here when I moved and it works ok and keeps things cold and frozen. Also, it has ice maker but I don't use it because I do not use tap water.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Bought my fridge 2.5 years ago. The cooling element for the fridge had stopped working but the freezer is still operating. Sears repairman had to order new part 2 weeks before he can come back out to replace the part which was delivered 5 days after his service call. 2 weeks without a refrigerator because Sears does not have enough repairmen.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I've always trusted Kenmore brands and the Sears saleslady was extremely knowledgeable about all products. After Sears departure, I'd likely go for Maytag.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Designed to fall apart. Veg/cooler bins on the bottom literally fall apart if not very, very carefully opened/closed, which you must do slowly or the drawers fall out. Freezer is inconveniently designed and items fall through the grated bottoms. Had to put big plastic bins in to prevent this. Light bulb in the freezer is useless, lasted less than a month. You also have to be extremely careful to place items away from the bulb, which is positioned so you can't see it, to avoid breakage. Amount of inside available space compared to outside dimensions is horrible. Huge thing, little space. Will never buy this brand again.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I have a side by side Frigidaire and it has an icemaker as well as a water spout. I have never had any problems, however, the freezer side is a little too small. My Kenmore has the freezer drawer on the bottom and an icemaker. The compressor went out and we had it replaced. Since the replacement of the compressor I have not had any problems with it and the freezer drawer is very roomy. I prefer the drawer to a side by side.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

We had to buy a new compressor after 5 years. The new compressor is going after another 5 years. Kenmore did not stand behind their product and we had to pay for the new compressor.

Kenmore Refrigerators Company Information

Kenmore Appliances
1913
www.kenmore.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use