Call toll free
3.64/5
Based on 352 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Recognized as a top appliance brand for 100 years, Kenmore brings a new level of performance with appliances that deliver time savings, convenience and great results. From quickly cooling drinks to laundry loads completed in less time, Kenmore is the most awarded brand in the industry.

The Kenmore brand understands its customers’ wants and needs. Being in the lives of over 100 million Americans, performance innovations are a top priority of Kenmore product development. Ongoing engagement with our customers before, during and after purchases will help us maintain the honor of industry leader.

B-BBB Rating
View More View More

2374 Kenmore Refrigerators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 15, 2018

We purchased a Kenmore Elite 795 Model refrigerator from Sears, $2500, in July of 2016. In May 2018 it stopped working. Repeated calls to customer service over a month and still no help with anyone to come take a look at it. My problem is not unique from reading the reviews. What I do want to ask is, does anyone know or is involved with any class action suits against Sears or Kenmore for the problems we are having?

Get expert buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I bought the Kenmore refrigerator, Model # 795 71019.010, Serial #005KRO2571 from Sears a few years ago & a part I need to be able to use the ice-maker now is DISCONTINUED according to Sears & I was told "You'll just have to buy a new fridge or go without ice"??? I can't believe they leave customers high & dry & expect them to buy a new fridge when all it needs is a part. Not sure who to blame so I blame both KENMORE & SEARS. What a way to treat consumer! I've always bought my KENMORE appliances from Sears & never had a problem, but after this - Never buy from Sears & never buy a KENMORE brand anything!

Original review: June 12, 2018

I purchased my Kenmore refrigerator model #596.69313010 less than a year ago. I was not happy with how noisy it is. There is very little room in the refrigerator. Last week the door starting rusting and it's spreading. Poor quality. Rust isn't covered under my warranty.

Original review: June 9, 2018

According to several sources, the average lifespan of a refrigerator is 14-17 years, assuming proper care and maintenance. Our Kenmore refrigerator, model number 596.69312010, lasted less than six years. Over a two months' time span, the Main Control Board for our fridge needed to be replaced three times. We work with a reliable appliance repairman who has always done A+ work for us. I have no doubt that the installation of the replacement control board was done correctly, but within a few weeks it died again.

On the third occasion, we gave up. We're not investing any more time or money in trying to extend the life of a sub-par appliance. I'm not an expert but my guess is that there are issues with the entire cooling system of this fridge, which leads to the quick death of main control board. Whatever the cause, we're done. I'm leaving this review to warn other consumers before they got stuck in the same situation. Refrigerators are expensive. Even with "bargain" pricing you're looking at several hundred dollars for the most basic models. If they last as long as they should, the cost per year makes the expense bearable. When they die early, less than halfway through their expected lifespan, it's very frustrating.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Our 3 year old refrigerator stopped working 29 days ago. It has been a nightmare trying to get an appointment and order the part. When I first called they tried to hard sell me on the extended warranty. I refused the warranty because the part is covered under a 10 year warranty. Now every time I call I’m told that the order is “in process” and I will be contacted in 3-5 business days. It has been a month without a refrigerator. This is absolutely unacceptable.

I am feeding a family of four with a mini fridge, that we had to purchase on top of the food we lost when the fridge stopped working and the local repairman we had come out who charged us but couldn’t work on it because it’s under warranty, and then we had to pay the Sears technician for coming out. I could handle most of this except that I have been given zero information as to how long this will really take and am getting to the point where I feel like it could be months until this is fixed, if ever! We purchased Kenmore based on their high quality and reliability. The quality is terrible and the customer service is terrible. So many time I have been told that the part was on its way only for it to not arrive and then we lose our appointment and still don’t have a working fridge! I can’t get through to anyone that is helpful. I don’t know what to do, but I do know I will NEVER purchase a Kenmore or anything from Sears ever again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kenmore Appliances?

Original review: June 4, 2018

We bought a Kenmore fridge, model 61205, we wanted something big, without an ice maker and easy for the kids to get their own snacks. When they brought it home we waited the 24 hrs till it was ready to use. I disconnected the old fridge, moved it out of the way for the new one, when I plugged the new fridge it wouldn't cool, took over 2 hours to start blowing cold in the fridge, the freezer worked just fine but I was scared all the food would go bad so I took everything out again to the old fridge and called Sears. They will be bringing in a new one and hopefully it's not a thing with all of them.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I purchased this refrigerator (Kenmore Elite French Bottom Refrigerator) in November 2014 at Sears. I also bought a three-year warranty since it was an expensive item. After about six months the refrigerator stopped working and I called for service. It took almost 2 months to get it replaced after many phone calls and aggravation.

Now in 2018, the refrigerator and freezer is warm. I called for service and I have an appointment for two weeks from today. This is crazy. After many attempts to contact corporate I got nowhere. I called a local appliance store who handles Kenmore which is an LG refrigerator and he told me that the compressor is gone or you have a Freon leak of which both are expensive to repair and not worth the money. It is very labor intense due to the design. They said they see this all the time with this model. I expected to get more than four years from an expensive appliance. The tech told me that they are made very cheap (South Korea) and parts go very easily. My opinion is this is consumer fraud. You can't expect us to buy a new refrigerator every four years. I know things go wrong but this is a manufacture defect in the design of this refrigerator and the consumer shouldn't have to pay for it.

I believe LG will replace the compressor but the labor is at least $1000 and that's if there aren't any other parts that need to be repaired. It also needs to be done by an LG tech and this can't take 6 weeks at best. This also doesn't give me a guarantee that it will last another year. When I called Sears all they were interested in getting my appointment scheduled and to sell me another warranty and then ask about my home-improvement. What help can I get. I will file a complaint with BBB and the Attorney General and Consumer Protection and I will try to get the news media to investigate. What a rip off. I hope someone reads this and responds to do the right thing.

Original review: May 13, 2018

We have a Kenmore fridge model number 106.59702993 serial number SK3956975 manufactured in 10/2000, last Thursday night we were awaken at 2 am by the smoke alarms. The fridge compressor electrical connector was smoking filling the room. We unplugged the fridge which hasn’t been plugged back in, we have found several videos online of this type of fridge fires. Yes the fridge is 17 years old, but we would never expect the fridge to catch on fire, but simply stop working.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I have had a Sears Kenmore refrigerator ever since I started buying refrigerators and that has been about 50 years, give or take a year or two. They have always been reliable and I have never had a refrigerator that did not perform as promised. The value for an enduring refrigerator and as long as I keep a refrigerator, that is until it dies, is great.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Buy the insurance if you get a Sears Kenmore. Three years and 1st year the fan broke. That would have been $300.00. 2nd year it wasn't getting cold enough. Afraid to use door shelves. Someone came a few times and finally adjusted some lever in freezer making it cooler in fridge. 3rd-year ice maker broke, they replaced it. Very unhappy with this and really can't afford to buy another. Be careful buying this smaller fridge. My insurance is out now and wonder what will go next. Save your money, Kenmore supposed to be good but it isnt.

Original review: May 6, 2018

My Kenmore lasted me for 20 years. I only got another Sears Kenmore for bigger size. The only problem was that ice cube distributor stopped working a few years ago and was too costly to repair. Otherwise it still made ice and water.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I have had Kenmore and two other Sears refrigerators over the last 30+ years. This Kenmore Elite side by side has been very good. I had one small maintenance problem a few years back and Sears come to my small town 83 miles from their service center and did the repair at no expense to me. The only problem I've had since is the fridge door handle is getting loose and I have emailed and spent quite some time online trying to see how to fix this. No luck to date.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I have had Kenmore refrigerators for over 50 years. They have always been reliable and gave me good service. I will purchare another Kenmore when it is time for this one to be replaced. The service department is reliable as well.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Kenmore Elite 74043: I purchased this in 2015, on April 6 I realized neither the fridge nor the freezer were cooling. I had purchased the extended warranty. A Sears repair technician came out April 12 and ordered 4 parts. A dryer assembly, 2 evaporator coils, and a compressor. Today is May 3 and 3 of the parts have finally arrived but one of the coils was very poorly packed and I believe it may be damaged. If you call the 1-800 number you get someone overseas and they can't tell you anything about where your parts are. I was first given repair date of April 18, then 24th, then 26th, then May 4. When the Parts Dept. calls I'm not planning to reschedule the repair, I'm planning to purchase another fridge and we will discuss how Sears is going to reimburse me for my new fridge. No wonder they are in trouble!

Original review: May 3, 2018

I have a Kenmore Refrigerator (model 253.6000), purchased 11 months ago by my husband for our garage. It has quit working twice, thawing all of the food in the freezer. There is no garage kit for this model and no information in the owner's manual that informs the consumer that the unit will stop working in the summer and winter during extreme temperatures. I have been informed that it was manufactured by Frigidaire.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I have the Kenmore Elite French door model. It has more room in it than I have ever had in a refrigerator. You can see everything without having to move stuff around. Temperature controls are digital and show up on the top door frame. It will alarm if the doors are left open or if the temperature begins to rise. Great refrigerator.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Have a Sears Kenmore refrigerator with double doors and a bottom freezer. Very easy access to all shelves and very easy to clean. Freezer also easy to access.

Original review: May 1, 2018

We bought a Kenmore elite fridge about a year ago. We're very pleased with its performance and features. The fridge is very quiet and energy efficient.

Original review: April 29, 2018

This is a side by side Kenmore which is 10 years old or more (inherited from a family member). Works just great. But I find the side by side less able to store both frozen and fresher foods than my previous refrigerator, which had the freezer compartment on the bottom. Side by side seems to offer less space than top and bottom refrigerators of same overall size.

Of course, another consideration is ease of access. If you're older, and have more difficulty getting down, then side by side makes sense. (I'm older, and I just used to pull a chair over to open the bottom freezer and scrounge around to get what I wanted out of it.) Side by side is easier to reach into, but the shelves are so narrow, I have to pull out multiple items to reach what I'm looking for. Consider how much you keep in your freezer compartment - if a lot, top and bottom may work better for you. If not so much, and you don't want to bend down (or pull over a chair like I did) for access, then side by side may be your best choice.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Ice Maker is 'horrible' and drops ice everywhere. ALSO, They did not make any money on this one as they had 4 service calls from nearby cities and expensive parts to replace because it would not cool the refrigerator side. I am 86, in the past refrigerators would last many years. Not so with today's model of Kenmore Elite.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I purchased Kenmore appliances all my adult life and I have never been let down. I do not purchase for looks. I purchase for service. My current Kenmore refrigerator has a large upper freezer chest and it has an icemaker. I have never had to replace any appliance because it broke down. I have replaced because I upgraded to a better model. I would always look to Sears appliances before I looked elsewhere.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Kenmore Elite does not get cold enough to keep milk in it. Sears said it doesn't need to be colder. Put old refrigerator, which is much colder, in laundry room just so milk doesn't spoil. Running two refrigerator now. Will never buy another Kenmore.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Kenmore has always been a great product with great design. Very dependable and their repair service was superior. Sad how things have changed. I'm in the market for a new refrigerator as my Kenmore is almost 20 years old but still works very well!!

Original review: April 24, 2018

Most of my appliances are Kenmore brand. I purchased over 18 years ago and they are still working ok. The Kenmore dishwasher is the only one I would not recommend. Kenmore has been a great appliance brand for me.

Original review: April 23, 2018

It makes a lot of noise. The ice maker sounds like we are bowling. It works the opposite of weather. Hotter in winter. Colder in summer. It is a Kenmore about 5 years old.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I bought Kenmore Elite fridge. For only a couple of years, it has so many problems. First the plastic door holder broke, and they are not cheap to replace. So far I spent at least a couple of hundred dollars to replace them. Then the door near ice/water hold starts to rust. The worst quality fridge. If there is 0 star, I would put that as 0.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I purchase Kenmore Elite refrigerator with bottom freezer 5/12/15 approx.: $ 1,500.00, the first few week foods on the shelves was freezing. I called Sears and after long waiting technician came and stated "the temperature has defect." He change the temperature from 0/37 to 8/46. The condition did not improved and I did call again, but fruitless. Now the refrigerator smell toxic odor and give me headache. I called Sears, and finally repairman arrived, and stated "the inside foam is defect. It needs to be replaced and cost $ 550.00." I told him this is manufacture defects as Sears has 10 years warranty for defects. He refused to replace the foam. I am very unhappy with Sears appliances, I cannot afford to buy new refrigerator, I am senior citizen with low income. This is abuse, unfair, and it is Sears responsibility to not sell defect appliances, instead take advantages from elders. Shame to Sears...

Original review: April 10, 2018

We purchased four Kenmore applications 3 years ago… to my disappointment the refrigerator stopped working and I did not get an extended warranty. I thought if I was investing my hard earned money on a name like Kenmore it would last longer than that. But to my amazement even when I’m paying to have it fixed I have to wait 1 weeks to get it fixed. We took time off to get it fixed just to get a call at 4:00 that he’s not coming. Now we have to wait another 8 days before they come. I do not recommend anyone to purchase Kenmore appliances. We are not happy nor are we satisfied with their service or products.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I bought a Kenmore refrigerator (freezer on top, model 106.6093) in October 2011. Six and a half years later the compressor no longer works. It would cost $440 to replace, plus labor and removing the old refrigerator. I will be buying a new refrigerator, different brand. I bought Kenmore products for years. Their quality has clearly deteriorated. Also, when I called about the compressor I was shunted to 5 different "telephone trees." I never reached a live person who could offer anything but the option to purchase a new compressor - after 6 years I no longer have a warranty, but certainly customers expect a refrigerator to last longer than 6 years.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I purchased a new home a little over a year ago. My ice maker and water dispenser quit working in my Kenmore refrigerator. Now a month later my Kenmore dishwasher does not drain. Repairman came out $175.00 and it is still not working. I will never purchase a Kenmore product.

Kenmore Appliances expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Kenmore is a recognized brand in the appliance industry and has been around over 100 years. Kenmore offers high-quality refrigerators in a wide range of sizes and models at affordable prices.

• Variety: Kenmore offers a huge selection of appliances, from mini-refrigerators to giant, commercial appliances.

• Price: Kenmore has products at a number of different price points, including discount and luxury items.

• Warranties: Kenmore refrigerators are protected from damage or defects up to one year from the date of installation. Defective items will receive a full repair or replacement.

• Luxury models: Kenmore offers many top-of-the-line luxury models and options, such as french-cut doors with stainless steel construction and GeniusCool technology.

• Commercial products: Kenmore offers commercial products for restaurants and consumers who are in need of extra-large refrigerators.

• Best for: Homeowners, businesses and restaurants interested in purchasing a refrigerator.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs