Liebherr Refrigerator
  • 1 star
Based on 102 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Liebherr Refrigerator

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 11, 2017

104 Liebherr Refrigerator Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Refrigerator leaks water all over my food. Repairman just left after explaining that if anything touches the interior back walls of the refrigerator it will leak water. Can't be fixed. So now I have to buy a new refrigerator. Wished I had read all the negative reviews before spending the big bucks.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

We have owned C 16 model of Liebherr refrigerator since 2014. Over that time, we have had multiple issues - from breaking shelves on the front door, to the front metal handle coming off, to constant leaking inside, etc. It has been non-stop, and we are sick and tired to dealing. Never in my life have I had issues with multiple plastic parts breaking of a fridge... We are a small family of three, so the problems cannot be blamed on the extensive usage. It is just a cheaply built appliance. Please, save your money, time and nerve cells, and stay away from this model.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

My husband and I won 2007 Obie award for Best Kitchen remodel in Georgia. The Liebherr fit my requirements inside and held the decorative panels on the outside. Almost immediately we had problems the other consumers had. Ice maker has broken down twice after 2 years of usage... $900 replacement. The so called cooler unit freezes up and once or more a year I get to "defrost" the ice in the back. It constantly drips inside the refrig. unit thus having to wet vacuum the bottom to get out the water. Liebherr refused to acknowledge all my problems. A technician was sent out and he couldn't adjust any temperature to make things any better. You can believe that my customers know never to buy this for their kitchen. It is sweating so much inside now that I believe it is on its last leg.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Liebherr Refrigerator freezers: I purchased these 2 units at an auction at Elite Appliance. They were sold as new but with cosmetic issues. They worked for 7 months, then both units failed. When I called for service, I was told that these were not new, rather they were second hand. No one would take responsibility for the lie. Not Elite Appliance, Almo the distributor that sold them the units, or Liebherr. Pieces of junk. Do not buy!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

The 24" cannot keep a steady temp. The back wall of the "No Frost" freezer is thick with ice and it's alarm beeps throughout the night (need to wake every 3 hours) but this is not all. Yesterday as I tried to nudge a recalcitrant freezer drawer in place with a small push, the under separation panel (made in glass!!!) jumped out to hit me and land on the floor to shatter in thousand pieces... A repair man came today and had the nerve to scold me about being too rough with the drawer. "It's very sensitive you must be very careful!!!" (I am in Spain where I guess they don't know about quality fridges.) Oh ya, a real beauty!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liebherr?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

As you know if you're reading this a Liebherr Refrigerator costs as much as a decent used car. For that kind of money you'd think you would get quality. You'd think if something breaks there would be a repair network for it. You'd think the customer service people would try to help. You'd be dead wrong on all counts. I have had a Liebherr refrigeror freezer that has been a continual nightmare. The icemaker has been broken almost since we installed the appliance. We've given up on that after endlessly trying to get it fixed. Now the freezer is not working. For the past three weeks we have had no freezer. I cannot get a repair person out here. I live in a major west-coast metro area. I could understand that it would be hard to get a repair if I were in some remote location, but that is not the case. Of the repair people Liebherr recommended only one would respond.

They came out, pulled the unit out of its cabinet, damaging the veneer in the process. Took the back off and decided that another person would have to come out and look at it. For this they billed me $160. After a week, I called and was told they couldn't deal with it. I had the credit card company stop payment and we're still trying to resolve that. Second person was from about 50 miles away and would only come out if I agreed to pay him $300. Cash only, no checks, no credit card. I agreed because I need a freezer. He did nothing. Ran some diagnostics. Told me I needed two parts and he would only come back if I paid him another $300. Cash. And I'd have to get the parts. These are the best people Liebherr could recommend. This is so sleazy that it borders on criminal. I decided I'd had enough with Liebherr and went shopping for a replacement unit thinking I'd be better off just cutting my losses at this stage.

As it happened the local rep was in the store when I was there. He told me he'd work to get it straightened out. So, several days later repairman number 3 shows up. He takes the freezer apart and decides he can't do anything and anyway, he's going on vacation for two weeks so he'll get back to me. I have spent untold hours on the phone with these people. I have dealt with three of their repair people. The only thing I have to show for it is a $300 cash payment to one of them and a credit card battle with the other. My freezer is still not functional. My icemaker has never worked. You would be out of your mind to buy a Liebherr anything.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

Bought an expensive Liebherr fridgefreezer in September 2016 which failed whilst we were on holiday 10 months later. So contents ruined and no compensation from Liebherr or Appliance City who we purchased it from. Independent engineer was sent to diagnose problem and was told twice by Liebherr to regas it, even though it was leaking! Surely dangerous and not going to solve the problem at all! So the nice engineer 'wrote off' the fridgefreezer and we have spent 3 weeks trying to get a replacement under the warranty.

Many, many phone calls and emails were needed to chase Liebherr and Appliance City. Neither of them would take responsibility for changing it, both trying to delay as much as possible and telling blatant lies about not having it in stock and exceedingly delayed delivery of another month before they could get one to us in the hope we gave up chasing it. New one just arrived... Will have to see how long it lasts! Great style and massive capacity though.

Original review: July 22, 2017

This is my second Liebherr refrigerator after the first one lost all the Freon due to the defective lining. They use aluminum linings which are corroded very fast. They replaced it after two years of trouble. The representative of the brand in Greece made a conciliation and they proposed to sell me a new one. I paid an extra amount of 500€ to receive a newer model which was worth around 800€. Within two years the problems begun! Now it runs for an hour it hardly cools and then the motor stops and doesn't kick in again. No more expensive worthless Liebherr refrigerators for me!!!

Original review: June 29, 2017

Expensive rubbish. Ice maker don't work from the first day. Compressor failure 2 times out of guarantee. Service in Greece is extremely bad and also expensive. They charge money to speak you. The model is LIEBHERR CNes 5066. My experience is that to stay away of LIEBHERR products.

Original review: May 31, 2017

I've had my Liebherr refrigerator for a several years now. It looks good, but so many things have gone wrong with it from the beginning. The inside sweats, a lot. It has sweat so much that water pools in the bottom, under the crisper drawer, if I don't constantly wipe it out. In the freezer, the ice maker stopped working. The ice tray cracked and the mother board failed. It was a mess because water flowed into the ice drawer and froze. Since this is considered a high-end appliance, the repairs and replacement parts were not cheap either. My complaint is that it is a piece of junk with a high price tag, plus huge repair and replacement expenses. Never buying Liebherr again.

Original review: May 31, 2017

Beginning in year 5 our expensive built in Liebherr started to have problem after problem. Many of the appliance service companies recommended by Liebherr wouldn't service the fridge, or came out once and refused to come back for the next problem. By phone, Liebherr was not at all helpful. After 6 weeks of frustration I found their FB page and posted my complaints. Their Social media team was very helpful, got a service supervisor to call with a recommendation... An appliance service company that said they didn't service fridges!! However they recommended an individual who did fix things. Go to Social media for help with Liebherr.

Original review: April 28, 2017

The Liebherr Home refrigerator is simply horrible. I strongly recommend against purchase of a Liebherr refrigerator. The inside walls get wet with moisture. It ruins your food. The refrigerator is advertised as frost free. I have never experienced this with a new refrigerator before.

Original review: April 13, 2017

The worst purchase I have ever made. I write to advise consumers to avoid Liebherr fridge freezers at all costs. I purchased a Liebherr fridge for my daughter in October 2016 and my daughter has been experiencing problems ever since. The fridge had never run at the proper temperature. The temperature is never constant and is always below 38F, it is closer to 50 and lower. We have been told that there is nothing wrong with the fridge. Now we have been told to keep the fridge-freezer at the highest setting at all times! The company refuses to accept the fridge-freezer is faulty. My daughter is therefore stuck with a malfunctioning fridge that is unlikely to last much beyond its 2-year guarantee.

Original review: April 3, 2017

I purchased a new top-of-the-line Liebherr Refrigerator in 2011. It has been the worst purchase I have ever made. The refrigerator has started falling apart, it is so poorly made. When I called Liebherr Customer Service, I got more excuses and no help whatsoever. Time to get rid of this and get a Sub-Zero.

Original review: March 28, 2017

The 48 inch unit has a refrigerator, bio fresh and freezer units. It had problems within the first 6 months. Ice maker cracked and stopped working; got it replaced twice. The plastic boxes for crisper in the refrigerator, bio fresh and freezer unit are extremely poor quality and cracked sooner or later. Bought replacements multiple times but had problems again. Had other problems and had to replace some sensors. Finally this year the freezer stopped working. The authorized service who charged me $1200 replaced parts but it stopped working within a week. Finally I was told by Liebherr that since the unit is 8 years old all they could offer is a 30% discount on the freezer unit but I will have to pay full price on the others - about $10,000! What a mistake - worst appliance I ever owned!!!

Original review: March 1, 2017

I inherited a brand new Liebherr Fridge (RB1400) and Freezer/Wine Fridge combo (WF1051) with the purchase of our home in 2013. Six months after moving in was the start to the line of issues we've had with the Liebherr units: September 2013: The freezer compressor was replaced. June 2014: The freezer compressor was replaced again along with several other system components as the technician was unsure why the compressor kept going out. December 2014: the freezer ice tray cracked and broke leading to no ice. A new ice-tray kit was installed.

May 2016: the door shelving unit to the refrigerator cracked and broke. After living with no door shelf for eight months, we replaced it in December 2016. January 2017: the freezer again began to show signs that it is once again going out (i.e. the wine fridge is not keeping its temperature and the temperature alarm system goes off same signs that we experienced in Sept 2013 and June 2014). The Liebherr authorized repairman many suggested that we replace the sensor. We place the order for the sensor and waited a month for the install. When installing, the repairman realized there was a leak in the evaporator which is non-repairable because it is encased in foam.

After speaking with Liebherr customer service about all of my prior issues and this, there is nothing they'll do for me except give me an approximately 30% discount for a replacement. HOWEVER, I'll have to replace BOTH the refrigerator and the freezer/wine fridge combo because the new freezer/wine fridge combos are utilize a different bracket and thus are not compatible with my older (but working) model refrigerator. There is no way I'm replacing both sides with a Liebherr product after all the insane issues I've experienced. Please DO NOT purchase a Liebherr appliance unless you are willing to spend thousands of additional money and time to deal with the issues you are bound to have.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

My experience was so different from what I'm reading that I'm compelled to comment. My model 1311, 24" wide with no ice maker, purchased in 2009, started beeping and stopped cooling seven years after I bought it. I would give it 5 stars, but seven years does seem like a short life for a fridge. As I wondered if it was covered by the limited extended 7-12 year warranty, I emailed the address given, asking how they could service a fridge in Vancouver, Canada, when they are in Ontario. They sent me the phone number of a local service person, said he would know if it was covered by warranty. Service person declared it unrepairable, said the company would phone me in a week about replacing the fridge, as it was covered by the warranty. They phoned in a week, and have replaced the fridge. The installer said that all the problems have been with the first generation models, and the new models seem to have the kinks worked out.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

Every day my husband says "I love this new refrigerator". It is a french door with a door-in-door and the black stainless color is wonderful! Plenty of ice too! This refrigerator cost less than a high end brand and yet has all the features!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

I bought a stand-alone Liebherr 4 drawer freezer and a Liebherr fridge in 2003/4 (12-13 years) and these have worked perfectly ever since despite never having had a service. I have had a fire in my apartment and the insurance company has written off the fridge and freezer as it would cost more to clean and test them than to buy a replacement. The kitchen was also written off in the fire so I am looking for built-in fridge and freezer for the kitchen (the stand alone units were in a utility room next to my roof terrace; useful for keeping beer cool). Because of my good experience with Liebherr I was thinking of buying this brand.

As part of my search I came across the Consumeraffairs.com site with all of the negative reviews and it is certainly giving me some pause for thought. The most common fault appears to be the ice-maker which, as one respondent mentions, we in Europe seldom use. The second most common problem appears to be the doors not shutting properly, especially on the units with two doors, again something less used in Europe. I am a little more worried about the problems with ice forming at the back of the fridge, the number of components that just break, the unreliability of the temperature control and the poor response from Liebherr. Has the quality of Liebherr dropped in recent years. Have the products become more complex and therefore less reliable or is there a specific problem with US based products – I found one review from the Netherlands where I live among all of the US based complaints.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2017

My experiences with Liebherr are terrible. Unable to get a service person to repair refrigerator. Refrigerator was 6,500.00 and have constant problems. Freezer is full of ice. Cannot adjust the temperature in the freezer. No help with any problems and no service available. Gerhard's Store where we purchased this is no better.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2016

This was a very expensive unit that is designed to be integrated with your kitchen cabinets by placing panels on the doors and freezer compartments. The left door doesn't close properly and you must open both doors in order to close them together otherwise you can't close the left door. They refuse to help me out with the problem and they say I must contact the cabinet installer, when I know and they know that is not the problem. A terrible company to deal with. The amount paid for this refrigerator is more than 3 times what a normal refrigerator does where the doors close properly. I read that many people have the same issue and it is a recurring one, but the company refuses to address the problem. Would not recommend it to anyone. A big disappointment and frustration. Choose another brand if you want to avoid a big headache.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2016

We purchased a house in NYC that had this built in refrigerator/freezer. It looks beautiful as a built in, but that's about the end of it. It wasn't that old (2 years old), but the previous owners had given up on it working. We had the Ice Maker repaired for a few hundred dollars...only to have it go bad again 6 months later... The repair company actually asked us not to try and repair it because they said the brand is so incredibly bad. We had it repaired again and again. Why? Because it will cost $7k to replace it (similar to the original price). For that much money, an appliance better live for about 20 years.

The problem with the ice maker was 2 things... the ice maker was broken, but it only works when it's below zero. The temperature control is so bad in the freezer that my Ice Cream melts and is always soft even when the temp says 4 degrees. The reviews I've seen from others on this brand are quite similar. I'd never in 1000 years want a product from this company again.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2016

The 24" Liebherr refrigerator that came with the apartment I purchased is a piece of junk! It was just about 5 years old when the original owner paid over $600 in repair costs over 2 repair visits... Just a few months later I needed to replace the sensor for another $500. Now it is only 2 months later and once again the refrigerator is not maintaining cold temperature. I refuse to put another nickel into this terrible appliance and will have to replace it. Liebherr service was not at all accommodating! All they were willing to do was give me the names of authorized service companies which charge $200 just to walk in the door.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2016

We received these refrigerators in our new Newark based building and have had problems since they were installed. We have repeatedly contacted company to address the automatic ice maker with ZERO resolution. We are in the new building a year and the ice maker has worked maybe 2 months. The door handles are also very difficult to open - they are thin with little ability to grip. Would NOT recommend wasting money on this refrigerator.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2016

CS1311CS1360/07011/7084638 - 00. One shelf on the door broke off after 3 months. The butter compartment broke as well. Now the actual handle on the refrigerator door broke off completely and there were 4 plastic parts scattered on the floor! Were I a very strong woman I might have thought I opened the door too quickly or carelessly. I have always had little arm strength and am frequently called delicate! I am blamed repeatedly for every issue. Having owned 2 extra large SubZero refrigerators in my former home and had no problems with either one, I know it is not me that is making this happen.

Original review: June 14, 2016

Our experience with Liebherr Refrigerator has been appalling to say the least. We moved into our new house in 2004 and I would think on average the fridge has broken down every three years. The temperature dial for the fridge keeps going haywire. And of course it is always just out of warranty when this happens. It's cost us a small fortune getting it repaired and not to mention the really stressful situations this causes when it happens again and again. I find the suppliers/service people here in Ireland totally inadequate in their response. I don't think once I got an apology from them for all the stress their product has caused. I would not touch any Liebherr product ever again and would advise anybody to run a million miles from them also.

Original review: May 30, 2016

We bought the Liebherr when we were renovating our kitchen in 2009. I just opened the site to see how to make the freezer stop beeping. I was not surprised to see that we experienced just about every complaint in the recent postings. We had the second authorized repairman 8 times. I could not find the paperwork for the first repairman. Our first complaint when the refrigerator arrived was the pokey ice production. Our dealer contacted Liebherr and was told that Europeans don't use as much ice as Americans. That was a stunning reply since I bought in the US.

Then we started having constant problems with the French doors closing. We had many visits from the first repairman, after which the second repairman , who seemed more knowledgeable, repaired the doors. We had to have the suction trim replaced. We also had a problem with the back of the refrigerator freezing, clogging the drain. The two drawers filled with water and the fresh produce kept freezing. The refrigerator has been a huge disappointment. From our experience, I would never recommend this refrigerator. My husband & I recall our parents having the same refrigerator for our entire childhoods. Those days are surely long gone.

Original review: April 5, 2016

I, too, have never written a consumer review for an appliance I've purchased, however I feel compelled to warn anyone thinking of purchasing one of these refrigerators. Almost every issue documented in previous reviews has also happened to me. The unit is three years old and it is, literally, falling apart. Any tray that relies on a plastic component is now broken - all the door trays are duct taped up and the freezer bins are cracked at every stress point. Every time I open the freezer, I hope to have a couple cubes of ice. The ice maker was repaired several times early on in the purchase, then flooded, and then produced 12 - 20 tiny cubes of ice daily for two years. Now it's broken and my appliance company hopes to have luck getting Liebherr to respond to them. It's the most frustrating high end appliance I have ever chosen and I regret it every day.

Original review: March 11, 2016

After several visits from the official Dutch Liebherr repair service, Liebherr gave up on its own product! This top of the line Liebherr 3967-A20 RVS only lasted its Very limited warranty of 2 Years. This refrigerator listed at 3299 Euros in 2008. So after 4 visits the official Liebherr service person gave up and declared this unit not repairable. So I expected that a company like Liebherr would not hesitate to rectify the situation. So Liebherr replied that although the situation was extremely regrettable that the best that Liebherr could do was to Sell Me a new refrigerator at a reduced price. So how much you ask? CBNPes3967 for 1083,32 incl. BTW, for those of you outside of Holland that's 1083.32 Euro including VAT.

Naturally, I told them that that would be completely unacceptable. Just imagine buying a very expensive refrigerator and have it fail only to make the same mistake again with a company that does not guarantee its products sufficiently. I then turned to Liebherr Germany to hopefully find someone to take responsibility for the sale of this faulty product. Well as you can imagine, I did not find anyone that was willing to do anything more than try and sell me another one of their products. Watch out people! OH there's more! Several other people bought this brand only to regret it later, see for yourself.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2016

This is the product that could be great if only the parent company would allow it to be great. Some of the problems we've encountered have been solved (for our needs, anyway). The major problem has not. Some of this will help you, I think. Some of it will annoy you more. Icing on the back of the fridge. There will always be frost and, especially in humid climates, some ice on the back of the fridge. This is a compromise for the depth of the fridge. We put meats and other items like pickles, etc, at the very back of the fridge to keep them as cold as possible. There's a risk of it freezing if you rest it against the back. We live in an apartment and are used to these compromises. If you live in a house, get a bigger fridge that cools itself more traditionally.

Icing and drain plug clogging. These are related issues in our experience. For whatever reason, the fridge circulation fan is defaulted to the off position. With this off you will get a lot more icing on the back of the fridge. This will then clog your drain plug with ice. Turn the fan on and occasionally check to see if it is still on - a power outage will turn it off again. We've had it running for about a year and no more ice issues.

What to do if the drain plugs up. You will need to defrost the fridge completely and have it turned off - leave the doors open. Wait until the ice melts. If there are sheets of ice, wait until they sort of melt, then pull them out - otherwise, expect large puddles. We poured some hot water from the tap (not boiled water) into the drain to help it along, but that took forever. Now's a good time to clean the back wall of the fridge. Not too bad, all things considered.

FINALLY: THE ICE MAKER -- this is the worst part about the fridge. If the parts were cheaper, it would be an Ok compromise. It is a small unit and will provide enough ice in the Summer for a couple people who drink ice water all the time. Family amount of ice? No. Problems: the ice tray itself. Our first one lasted about 2 years. Consecutive trays, much less. It has broken in a couple ways: First, the thermistor attachment assembly breaks off the ice tray. Ice stops working. Second, the plastic tray (because it is torqued to remove the ice) gets cracks in it. You then get water and some ice cubes. The water then freezes the ice cubes that do make it out and it freezes into one solid mass on the bottom of the ice tray. Fun.

REPLACEMENT COST. Can you buy just the plastic ice tray? No, you have to buy one ice tray, one thermistor assembly, and two plastic parts that never break. Ever. Cost - $150+ shipping. So the only part that ever breaks is the plastic ice tray and the plastic retainer of the thermistor. So, every 9-15 months the ice cube tray gets cracks or the plastic part that keeps the thermistor in place breaks. If it was $20 we would be Ok with it - again, we're used to these kinds of annoyances and compromises living in an apartment. It's also pretty easy to replace. But $150? Please.

Finally, Liebherr. It's clear they just don't care or they think that if they did sell just the ice tray + thermistor part that this would be admitting something wrong? Considering what they're involved in besides fridges it would seem that worrying about these products is the last thing on their minds. If people keep buying them they will keep making them, *even if the products are not reasonably serviceable*. That, or because of their price point they think wealthier people will just have them maintained and not worry about the cost?

Who knows. Either way, if you buy one of these don't expect the greatest service, nor any help from Liebherr itself. I would expect that the service companies just don't sell enough of them to be experts and their access to inexpensive parts is the same, although I really wonder what wholesale prices are. In case Liebherr ever reads this: I would never buy your products again, but for now we're stuck with it.

Liebherr Refrigerator Company Information