1.48/5
Based on 112 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

114 Liebherr Refrigerator Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I had a Liebherr fridge/freezer for about ten years. It packed up so I decided to invest in another one. Bad move. We ordered a fridge/freezer and it was so noisy. Plus, on a number of occasions we thought we had closed the doors but we didn't and the freezer door doesn't have an alarm so our food had started to defrost. On our old model, the alarm went off. The shop that supplied our fridge/freezer came to inspect it and agreed it was very noisy and replaced it. The new one has exactly the same problem - it's noisy - it's like having a vacuum cleaner on in the corner of the kitchen. Plus, we have left the freezer door open now by mistake on at least four occasions - no alarm - I think you literally have to slam the door shut otherwise it will not close. I am so disappointed with my new Liebherr and I will never buy another product from them.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I'm seeing all of these horrific reviews and I can only assume that they're either written by competitors or people who have just had really bad luck. I had a 24" Liebherr in my last place that I bought new and lived with for 5 years until I sold my condo. I've since moved into a house that happened to have a full-sized integrated Liebherr installed. According to the serial number sticker it's almost 10 years old now and is still perfect, silent, and a pleasure to live with. Liebherr has meticulous records on all of its past products so they were able to give this appliances complete history.

Apparently in the first year the previous owners had a couple of small issues at the start (a drawer was cracked and the display had a fault) but since then nothing. I don't have any vested interest in Liebherr other than the fact that as an architect I like to specify quality products in my designs and it's frustrating to me that so many people take it upon themselves to dump on something and so few ever give positive reports. So here's one at least. (or two, since I can attest for two fridges, and am sort of a repeat customer.)

Get expert buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Anyone who has read reviews of Liebherr refrigerators is aware that many are highly critical; most have ratings of 1-2 stars. There are also a lot of complaints about service assistance. That being said, our experience is different. We purchased two 28" refrigerator/freezer units when remodeling our kitchen in 2011. One unit has worked well until just recently. The other unit had multiple problems and after a number of attempts to repair it by several repair companies it was replaced, without charge, in January 2016. The second unit was fine until July of 2018 when the refrigerator temperature started to rise overnight, only to recover after the door was opened in the morning.

After three service calls on this unit it too was determined to be unrepairable and it has just been replaced, at no cost to us, by Liebherr. Almost all of the interaction with Liebherr about the problems with our units was via email, and the customer service reps could not have been more helpful. As is obvious, we have had a lot of problems with these fridges. But the unit replaced nearly three years ago has been faultless. And the new units clearly show Liebherr’s efforts to make a better fridge. Newer door hinges, that self-close, are a real improvement. The new model has a metal indoor back panel to prevent the frequent complaints about the back icing up when food comes in contact with it.

We went with Liebherr because of its clean, uncomplicated look and simple interior, and we continue to appreciate that. So I give 5 stars for customer satisfaction when problems arose. And 2-3 stars for equipment reliability, but hopefully their efforts toward continued product improvement will bring that rating higher. I’ll update after we have had the second unit for a while.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Our experience after four days is one of major disappointment. It required service on day two. The ice maker didn’t work at all. Bleeding some air from the water feed line and cycling the ice maker 2-3 times should have done the trick. It didn’t. In the 31 hours since the service rep left, the ice maker made 18 cubes. We could have done better with old metal ice trays from the Paleolithic Era. The service rep said, “One customer who had a Liebherr told me, ‘Europeans don’t really like ice.’” Well, this is the U.S., and my family is used to an ice maker that can do the job. Avoid Liebherr if you want ice.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Bought the 24 inch model CS 1310 in early 2011, was $2.600 plus. It worked fine until late September 2017, then the temps went up in the unit. Manual defrost done per service advice and lasted 8 months, then has happened about every 5 weeks since then even with new parts put in the last 2 times. From what I have been reading, this seems to be a problem and should not be happening to such a PRICEY product after 7 years. Possibly "planned obsolescence"? Very disappointing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liebherr?

Original review: May 8, 2018

Overall like the unit even though the ice maker failed shortly after warranty and the freezer drawers easily fall out and break if not paying close attention.

Original review: May 1, 2018

I wish I had read reviews before buying a Liebherr 48" Side by Side Built in refrigerator. Since day one we have had nothing but problems, spent money numerous times on the same problem, and there are ongoing issues that can't be resolved as they are actual design flaws and this is "just the way they are." Years and years later, reading reviews, I am reading all the EXACT complaints that we have had. 1) Ice Maker-have had it fixed multiple times. The ice would build up, then the tray would crack because it couldn't rotate. They finally came out with a "better" version of the tray component, which also broke. Reading, this is an ongoing problem. The ice is VERY slow to make too, if you empty the bin, it may be two days before you are 1/3 full again.

2) Ice builds up in the bottom of the freezer, so you have to chisel it out or else the temperature gets off and you get beeping (mostly in the middle of the night) and the refrigeration temperature never seems to be right anyways. 3) Almost every drawer has cracked and the cheap shelving has broken. 4) Biggest issue we have (the design flaw) is the back of the refrigerator side has a little hole. This little hole was later placed for the function of the refrigerator, but what it did is cause the refrigerator to continually fill up with water because it gets clogged, then the condensation builds up, the bottom fills with water and then pours out the bottom of the refrigerator.

I have towels at the bottom of my fridge, unless you take out your drawers often, use a straw to blow out the little hole, otherwise the water will fill out and pour out. We called the place we originally bought it from (who still sells this unit) and told them all the problems, which seemed they really didn't want to hear and he agreed that this is a bad design. As if it can't get any worse, it does. The lady who sold us this fridge, and it was our first "built in" didn't inform us that it is NOT standard sized! Most "built in" 48" are 82-83" tall, this one is about 80" as it's European. We designed our whole kitchen around our appliances, so now we have a cabinet over this fridge and the whole right side of our kitchen cabinetry has to be modified to fit a standard 48" refrigerator and we refuse to buy another Liebherr, which is like a bad word in our home!

Original review: March 30, 2018

We have owned two ICN 3056 11E/557, one of it suddenly broke down after three years but revived after put it to rest for a day, unknown root cause. Another one broke down last week. I looked into the manual, it has stated that the bottom ventilation opening required 200CM square as the top ventilation opening. The local vendor only provided with 60 CM square, the service staff came and told me it is not an issue, he told me is the controller issue without examining any of the parts, and charged me 220 euros. Seems to be a PTC problem since the controller is not showing any error code, it is perfectly working and gives alarms. I am confused of whether I should provide their service provider services or vice versa, seems there is a product intrinsic quality issue, and bad services.

Original review: March 20, 2018

@3500 each for a 24" counter depth freezer and ref (HF 861), my client could have gotten a used GE or LG Freezer. The weather stripping is coming off for the second time, Icemaker has never worked. We (after a full replacement) and their customer service line is dreadful, each time I call they want me to try a new troubleshooting step. Liebherr just changed their policy on repairs so no more guarantee on their products. Save yourself time and money and buy literally any other brand.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

Absurdly constructed product that has no customer service backing, arrogant customer service full of lies about the "quality" of the product. A total waste of money full of headache. I've never experienced any product so cruelly deceptive backed by con men and women who represent this company's "customer service." Horrible workmanship, design, and engineering. The worst ever. Stay far away from this mess.

I'm the unlucky guy who was sold a bag of goods from kitchen designer regarding the Liebherr C-1650 refrigerator, freezer "with ice maker". I bought eight of them in 2009 and I could have bought two very nice new cars at that time for the same price. They are EXTREMELY expensive, horribly constructed appliances. It's beyond belief how horrible they are. My maintenance man recently said, "a person could live off what you spend on repairs for those refrigerators". In nine years each ice maker has been replaced at least three times! There are constantly issues. There's one now that has a brand new ice maker in it that we can't get to produce ice for six months now.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Refrigerator leaks water all over my food. Repairman just left after explaining that if anything touches the interior back walls of the refrigerator it will leak water. Can't be fixed. So now I have to buy a new refrigerator. Wished I had read all the negative reviews before spending the big bucks.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

We have owned C 16 model of Liebherr refrigerator since 2014. Over that time, we have had multiple issues - from breaking shelves on the front door, to the front metal handle coming off, to constant leaking inside, etc. It has been non-stop, and we are sick and tired to dealing. Never in my life have I had issues with multiple plastic parts breaking of a fridge... We are a small family of three, so the problems cannot be blamed on the extensive usage. It is just a cheaply built appliance. Please, save your money, time and nerve cells, and stay away from this model.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

My husband and I won 2007 Obie award for Best Kitchen remodel in Georgia. The Liebherr fit my requirements inside and held the decorative panels on the outside. Almost immediately we had problems the other consumers had. Ice maker has broken down twice after 2 years of usage... $900 replacement. The so called cooler unit freezes up and once or more a year I get to "defrost" the ice in the back. It constantly drips inside the refrig. unit thus having to wet vacuum the bottom to get out the water. Liebherr refused to acknowledge all my problems. A technician was sent out and he couldn't adjust any temperature to make things any better. You can believe that my customers know never to buy this for their kitchen. It is sweating so much inside now that I believe it is on its last leg.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Liebherr Refrigerator freezers: I purchased these 2 units at an auction at Elite Appliance. They were sold as new but with cosmetic issues. They worked for 7 months, then both units failed. When I called for service, I was told that these were not new, rather they were second hand. No one would take responsibility for the lie. Not Elite Appliance, Almo the distributor that sold them the units, or Liebherr. Pieces of junk. Do not buy!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

The 24" cannot keep a steady temp. The back wall of the "No Frost" freezer is thick with ice and it's alarm beeps throughout the night (need to wake every 3 hours) but this is not all. Yesterday as I tried to nudge a recalcitrant freezer drawer in place with a small push, the under separation panel (made in glass!!!) jumped out to hit me and land on the floor to shatter in thousand pieces... A repair man came today and had the nerve to scold me about being too rough with the drawer. "It's very sensitive you must be very careful!!!" (I am in Spain where I guess they don't know about quality fridges.) Oh ya, a real beauty!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

As you know if you're reading this a Liebherr Refrigerator costs as much as a decent used car. For that kind of money you'd think you would get quality. You'd think if something breaks there would be a repair network for it. You'd think the customer service people would try to help. You'd be dead wrong on all counts. I have had a Liebherr refrigerator freezer that has been a continual nightmare. The icemaker has been broken almost since we installed the appliance. We've given up on that after endlessly trying to get it fixed. Now the freezer is not working. For the past three weeks we have had no freezer. I cannot get a repair person out here. I live in a major west-coast metro area. I could understand that it would be hard to get a repair if I were in some remote location, but that is not the case. Of the repair people Liebherr recommended only one would respond.

They came out, pulled the unit out of its cabinet, damaging the veneer in the process. Took the back off and decided that another person would have to come out and look at it. For this they billed me $160. After a week, I called and was told they couldn't deal with it. I had the credit card company stop payment and we're still trying to resolve that. Second person was from about 50 miles away and would only come out if I agreed to pay him $300. Cash only, no checks, no credit card. I agreed because I need a freezer. He did nothing. Ran some diagnostics. Told me I needed two parts and he would only come back if I paid him another $300. Cash. And I'd have to get the parts. These are the best people Liebherr could recommend. This is so sleazy that it borders on criminal. I decided I'd had enough with Liebherr and went shopping for a replacement unit thinking I'd be better off just cutting my losses at this stage.

As it happened the local rep was in the store when I was there. He told me he'd work to get it straightened out. So, several days later repairman number 3 shows up. He takes the freezer apart and decides he can't do anything and anyway, he's going on vacation for two weeks so he'll get back to me. I have spent untold hours on the phone with these people. I have dealt with three of their repair people. The only thing I have to show for it is a $300 cash payment to one of them and a credit card battle with the other. My freezer is still not functional. My icemaker has never worked. You would be out of your mind to buy a Liebherr anything.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

Bought an expensive Liebherr fridgefreezer in September 2016 which failed whilst we were on holiday 10 months later. So contents ruined and no compensation from Liebherr or Appliance City who we purchased it from. Independent engineer was sent to diagnose problem and was told twice by Liebherr to regas it, even though it was leaking! Surely dangerous and not going to solve the problem at all! So the nice engineer 'wrote off' the fridgefreezer and we have spent 3 weeks trying to get a replacement under the warranty.

Many, many phone calls and emails were needed to chase Liebherr and Appliance City. Neither of them would take responsibility for changing it, both trying to delay as much as possible and telling blatant lies about not having it in stock and exceedingly delayed delivery of another month before they could get one to us in the hope we gave up chasing it. New one just arrived... Will have to see how long it lasts! Great style and massive capacity though.

Original review: July 22, 2017

This is my second Liebherr refrigerator after the first one lost all the Freon due to the defective lining. They use aluminum linings which are corroded very fast. They replaced it after two years of trouble. The representative of the brand in Greece made a conciliation and they proposed to sell me a new one. I paid an extra amount of 500€ to receive a newer model which was worth around 800€. Within two years the problems begun! Now it runs for an hour it hardly cools and then the motor stops and doesn't kick in again. No more expensive worthless Liebherr refrigerators for me!!!

Original review: June 29, 2017

Expensive rubbish. Ice maker don't work from the first day. Compressor failure 2 times out of guarantee. Service in Greece is extremely bad and also expensive. They charge money to speak you. The model is LIEBHERR CNes 5066. My experience is that to stay away of LIEBHERR products.

Original review: May 31, 2017

I've had my Liebherr refrigerator for a several years now. It looks good, but so many things have gone wrong with it from the beginning. The inside sweats, a lot. It has sweat so much that water pools in the bottom, under the crisper drawer, if I don't constantly wipe it out. In the freezer, the ice maker stopped working. The ice tray cracked and the mother board failed. It was a mess because water flowed into the ice drawer and froze. Since this is considered a high-end appliance, the repairs and replacement parts were not cheap either. My complaint is that it is a piece of junk with a high price tag, plus huge repair and replacement expenses. Never buying Liebherr again.

Original review: May 31, 2017

Beginning in year 5 our expensive built in Liebherr started to have problem after problem. Many of the appliance service companies recommended by Liebherr wouldn't service the fridge, or came out once and refused to come back for the next problem. By phone, Liebherr was not at all helpful. After 6 weeks of frustration I found their FB page and posted my complaints. Their Social media team was very helpful, got a service supervisor to call with a recommendation... An appliance service company that said they didn't service fridges!! However they recommended an individual who did fix things. Go to Social media for help with Liebherr.

Original review: April 28, 2017

The Liebherr Home refrigerator is simply horrible. I strongly recommend against purchase of a Liebherr refrigerator. The inside walls get wet with moisture. It ruins your food. The refrigerator is advertised as frost free. I have never experienced this with a new refrigerator before.

Original review: April 13, 2017

The worst purchase I have ever made. I write to advise consumers to avoid Liebherr fridge freezers at all costs. I purchased a Liebherr fridge for my daughter in October 2016 and my daughter has been experiencing problems ever since. The fridge had never run at the proper temperature. The temperature is never constant and is always below 38F, it is closer to 50 and lower. We have been told that there is nothing wrong with the fridge. Now we have been told to keep the fridge-freezer at the highest setting at all times! The company refuses to accept the fridge-freezer is faulty. My daughter is therefore stuck with a malfunctioning fridge that is unlikely to last much beyond its 2-year guarantee.

Original review: April 3, 2017

I purchased a new top-of-the-line Liebherr Refrigerator in 2011. It has been the worst purchase I have ever made. The refrigerator has started falling apart, it is so poorly made. When I called Liebherr Customer Service, I got more excuses and no help whatsoever. Time to get rid of this and get a Sub-Zero.

Original review: March 28, 2017

The 48 inch unit has a refrigerator, bio fresh and freezer units. It had problems within the first 6 months. Ice maker cracked and stopped working; got it replaced twice. The plastic boxes for crisper in the refrigerator, bio fresh and freezer unit are extremely poor quality and cracked sooner or later. Bought replacements multiple times but had problems again. Had other problems and had to replace some sensors. Finally this year the freezer stopped working. The authorized service who charged me $1200 replaced parts but it stopped working within a week. Finally I was told by Liebherr that since the unit is 8 years old all they could offer is a 30% discount on the freezer unit but I will have to pay full price on the others - about $10,000! What a mistake - worst appliance I ever owned!!!

Original review: March 1, 2017

I inherited a brand new Liebherr Fridge (RB1400) and Freezer/Wine Fridge combo (WF1051) with the purchase of our home in 2013. Six months after moving in was the start to the line of issues we've had with the Liebherr units: September 2013: The freezer compressor was replaced. June 2014: The freezer compressor was replaced again along with several other system components as the technician was unsure why the compressor kept going out. December 2014: the freezer ice tray cracked and broke leading to no ice. A new ice-tray kit was installed.

May 2016: the door shelving unit to the refrigerator cracked and broke. After living with no door shelf for eight months, we replaced it in December 2016. January 2017: the freezer again began to show signs that it is once again going out (i.e. the wine fridge is not keeping its temperature and the temperature alarm system goes off same signs that we experienced in Sept 2013 and June 2014). The Liebherr authorized repairman many suggested that we replace the sensor. We place the order for the sensor and waited a month for the install. When installing, the repairman realized there was a leak in the evaporator which is non-repairable because it is encased in foam.

After speaking with Liebherr customer service about all of my prior issues and this, there is nothing they'll do for me except give me an approximately 30% discount for a replacement. HOWEVER, I'll have to replace BOTH the refrigerator and the freezer/wine fridge combo because the new freezer/wine fridge combos are utilize a different bracket and thus are not compatible with my older (but working) model refrigerator. There is no way I'm replacing both sides with a Liebherr product after all the insane issues I've experienced. Please DO NOT purchase a Liebherr appliance unless you are willing to spend thousands of additional money and time to deal with the issues you are bound to have.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

My experience was so different from what I'm reading that I'm compelled to comment. My model 1311, 24" wide with no ice maker, purchased in 2009, started beeping and stopped cooling seven years after I bought it. I would give it 5 stars, but seven years does seem like a short life for a fridge. As I wondered if it was covered by the limited extended 7-12 year warranty, I emailed the address given, asking how they could service a fridge in Vancouver, Canada, when they are in Ontario. They sent me the phone number of a local service person, said he would know if it was covered by warranty. Service person declared it unrepairable, said the company would phone me in a week about replacing the fridge, as it was covered by the warranty. They phoned in a week, and have replaced the fridge. The installer said that all the problems have been with the first generation models, and the new models seem to have the kinks worked out.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

Every day my husband says "I love this new refrigerator". It is a french door with a door-in-door and the black stainless color is wonderful! Plenty of ice too! This refrigerator cost less than a high end brand and yet has all the features!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

I bought a stand-alone Liebherr 4 drawer freezer and a Liebherr fridge in 2003/4 (12-13 years) and these have worked perfectly ever since despite never having had a service. I have had a fire in my apartment and the insurance company has written off the fridge and freezer as it would cost more to clean and test them than to buy a replacement. The kitchen was also written off in the fire so I am looking for built-in fridge and freezer for the kitchen (the stand alone units were in a utility room next to my roof terrace; useful for keeping beer cool). Because of my good experience with Liebherr I was thinking of buying this brand.

As part of my search I came across the Consumeraffairs.com site with all of the negative reviews and it is certainly giving me some pause for thought. The most common fault appears to be the ice-maker which, as one respondent mentions, we in Europe seldom use. The second most common problem appears to be the doors not shutting properly, especially on the units with two doors, again something less used in Europe. I am a little more worried about the problems with ice forming at the back of the fridge, the number of components that just break, the unreliability of the temperature control and the poor response from Liebherr. Has the quality of Liebherr dropped in recent years. Have the products become more complex and therefore less reliable or is there a specific problem with US based products – I found one review from the Netherlands where I live among all of the US based complaints.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2017

My experiences with Liebherr are terrible. Unable to get a service person to repair refrigerator. Refrigerator was 6,500.00 and have constant problems. Freezer is full of ice. Cannot adjust the temperature in the freezer. No help with any problems and no service available. Gerhard's Store where we purchased this is no better.

Liebherr Refrigerator Company Information