Hotpoint Refrigerator

Compare Refrigerators

Research top Refrigerators recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Ever since my mom has been in her home she has battled with the Hotpoint fridge that came with the home. She has had numerous visits needed for repairs. She recently was going through papers from the previous owner's repairs and found that this fridge has needed the same repairs prior to her living there. Her model number was HSS251FMDWW... Prior receipts record 300.00 repairs to a control board and defrost thermostat... Then the buyers warranty replaced for free three more visits under moms ownership... Then her buyers warranty ran out. She has since spent 600.00 on other visits for the same parts, board and defrost thermostat... Moral of story... Read reviews. Never ever buy a Hotpoint... It's time for mom to cut losses and invest in a fridge but her recent repairman said, "There is nothing on the market worth investing money into. You're better keeping what you have"... I highly disagree.

18 months after buying a Hotpoint refrigerator, it stopped working. I paid half the price of the fridge for repair and the repairman told me this was a known problem with Hotpoint. I asked, and he was replacing the non-working part with a Hotpoint part, because no other company's part would fit. 18 months later the same part failed again. I came home from 3 weeks on vacation and found all my frozen food melted. To have it repaired a second time would make the repairs as expensive as the fridge itself, and guarantee that in 18 months I will again be throwing out all my food. I won't buy anything from Hotpoint ever again.

My appliance lasted 13 months, 1 month out of warranty. After waiting for two weeks for an appointment to fix my fridge the engineer didn't turn up and I was not informed why. I spent all day trying to find out where he was, each time the call center hung up on me. At the end of the day I eventually got through and was told the engineer would be there the next morning. After taking another day off work the engineer failed to turn up so I spent another day trying to talk to someone with half a brain. After 54 minutes on the phone trying to find out what has happened to my appointment the call center hung up once again. I decided to cut my losses and buy a new appliance that wasn't Hotpoint. I wouldn't buy another Hotpoint appliance if someone paid me, they do not deserve to run a business if customers mean that little to them.

Refrigerator light failed and melted the material above it. Did not trip my circuit. I don't know if I can replace the bulb or is the machine now dangerous. Am I lucky not have a fire?

I purchase a model #hss25gfpeww & had nothing but problems with the ice auger. It broke on me five times. Almost swallowed a small piece. Auger part #964350. The plastic auger is design very poorly. In my opinion it should of been made out of some sort of alloyed that doesn't break. It's a public hazard. My main concern is some child or adult will severely choke on a small piece of plastic! THANKS FOR READING.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotpoint Refrigerator?

My friends went on a short holiday only to get a phone call to say that their house was on fire. They rushed back home & were told that their Hotpoint fridge freezer of approximately 5 years old had caught Fire. The house now requires extensive repair & will take approximately 6 months to do. Is there a moral to this story. Empty the fridge freezer, have a feast in it, your friends around. Then switch off your appliance.

Purchased Hotpoint model HSM25GFRFSA. Noise off & on from beginning. Technician was expensive & did not resolve problem. I turn the ice maker off, noise continues periodically. A different noise occurring now.

The auger is brittle, breaks into fragments and falls into the ice and then dumps into the dispenser. I got a cup of water and ice and it was full of sharp plastic pieces that had broken off. I did not know and swallowed one of them and it is caught in my throat. This is a very dangerous situation and I am scared. I read that is happened recently to someone else on this website. My double fridge freezer is a 2006 Hotpoint model. Please contact me.

My Hotpoint fridge freezer is 3 years old and the compressor is broken. Firstly Hotpoint isn't really Hotpoint anymore, it's Indesit. We thought we were buying a quality fridge, but it turns out we weren't. We've bought the insurance repair or replace policy that Hotpoint sell which they tell you is "very popular with our customers." It cost £185 a year. I waited 2 days for an engineer to come and look at our broken fridge. He came this morning. The compressor is broken but the parts are out of stock.

The earliest they will be back in is the 30th July, i.e. over a week away, and it's perfectly OK, I've been told by them on the phone, for me to have no working fridge in that time. It's summer and my kids are 2 and 4. We live in a flat and have no back-up fridge. I'll report back with what happens next. The Domestic and General policy they sell is a complete joke when you have a real problem. They tell you they'll refund the policy, but then you're faced with having to buy a new fridge. I'm raging!!!

I purchased my Hotpoint model Hss25gfpa www side by side refrigerator new about 8 or 9 years ago. NOT BUILT TO LAST... Front and sides are rusting, water only works from door dispenser for a few weeks a year the rest of the time is inoperable, NOW FOR THE DANGEROUS PART... When the ice maker still was usable unlike the water dispenser I had dispensed a glass of crushed ice into my large plastic cup. As I drank my beverage with the ice i luckily attempted to chew the remainder of ice left in my mouth before swallowing and taking another drink.

As I was chewing the crushed ice I bit down on a jagged piece of clear plastic that broke off the clear plastic ice auger in the ice maker... I prob would have had serious or fatal injuries if I had swallowed this piece of plastic that broken off, it was about the size of half a dime. I called to complain to customer service and they told me they would not pay for repair as it was out of warranty and I could file a complaint with their complaint department about almost swallowing the jagged plastic but the complaint department was unreachable at that time... DO NOT BUY A HOTPOINT REFRIGERATOR.

Home depot rob 85 year-old woman in Detroit. Sold her a hot point GE refrigerator that didn't work at all. Robing her out of $2,000.00.

In 2010 I bought a fridge from Hotpoint and found that after just three years rust started appear on the front and on sides. Never had that problem before with any other make. The fridge in question was supposed to be a replacement for a faulty one!!! I will never buy a fridge from this manufacturer again. I purchased other electrical appliances in the same period of time and no rust has appeared on any of them. I need to point out that I keep my house clean and tidy and look after it with pride therefore this fault would never be the result of neglect or misuse of any sort.

This is a warning to anybody considering to get any electrical appliance from Hotpoint in the future. Please also see my review concerning another incident with an Indesit dishwasher - Indesit and Hotpoint are part of the same group.

We purchased a fridge Model 77802 in 2013. A few months later the door handle cracked. This was repaired free as it was under one year old. Once again the 'new' handle has cracked. Seems very poor quality and perhaps a design fault. I have attempted to ring customer services, been held in a queue for so long every time I have tried, I have had to hang up to do chores etc. I am very dissatisfied with the quality of this fridge and as we are a family of just two, I wonder how long these flimsy handles last for a family use.

We have owned our Hotpoint refrigerator since 2007 and it has been making a loud whistling noise and had a technician come out and oil everything and it came right back and now the water went out in the door. Model #HSS25GFTA BB

I have a Hotpoint model #hsh22ifta bb. I too have had the same issues reported by others relative to the freezer/motherboard and water dispenser. I too have limited income and to purchase such an expensive lemon only to have it fail is, to say the least, disconcerting and maddening (I am being polite). Hotpoint should be ashamed and held accountable for the repeated failure of their products.

I cannot be accurate. All I know is that I bought a $3000 lemon! I have had at least 7 repair visits. They have all had to do with the freezer side and water. Finally, they disconnected the water and we are no longer able to get water. Of the at least 7 repair visits, 3 have to do with the ice maker. Ice maker #2 just stopped working. It is a LEMON. Do not buy a GE Refrigerator. I am not blaming the service, only the manufacturer.

We bought a new Hotpoint refrigerator from Home Depot approximately 5 years ago. In that 5 years, we have had to have a repairman make a service call 4 times, 3 for the ice maker alone, once covered under the warranty. We have totally replaced the ice maker once, which we had to pay for. I am extremely upset that again, tomorrow, we have a service man set up to once again look at the ice maker. It has quit running. No ice, nothing! The service man comes when called and he too has expressed his displeasure with the product - bad, bad design. I'm tired of having to pay for service calls and parts. I plan to contact the Better Business Bureau and any other complaint organization to voice my displeasure with the Hotpoint product.

In the past, I have had refrigerators for 10-15 years with no problems at all. Why is this product falling apart in less than 5 years? Very, very dissatisfied and do not plan to stay silent about the issues we have had to face. I will do everything I can to spread the word. This is a bad, bad product.

GE has come out with a new heater kit for their GE Hotpoint refrigerators. It is to arrest the water line from freezing. It also appears that their original insulation is inefficient, so they apparently are replacing it. The only problem is that they charge excessive amount for a problem that they created in the same place. They should have done a type of repair free of charge on every faulty unit, which they have not. The freezer had once already frozen behind the cover and a repairman came while we had the extended warranty. I don't believe it's fair for GE to charge customers for replacing parts and for labor on a defect of their appliances.

My appliance model and serial #s are: HSM25GFTSA and GL256345. My extended warranty expired 5/23/11. So there is no way they will want to touch it without charging an exorbitant amount at this time. My wife has been ill for several months and she is in peril of getting laid off due to her illness. As sick as she is, we are having trouble making ends meet.

We have a Hotpoint Refrigerator that was purchased in 2005 at Home Depot (model number: HSM25GFRF-SA serial number: FH218658). About two weeks ago, we started having problems with this appliance. The fan motor stopped working, as well as the ice/water dispenser. Everything melted in the top half of the freezer, and stayed frozen in the bottom half. We called ARS Appliance Repair, and he found that the motherboard and circuit board had burned out, and was the problem. The cost of each part was $148.00 for the motherboard, and around the same for the circuit board.

After placing the new parts on the fridge, within minutes, the motherboard caught on fire. He replaced the motherboard again, and the same thing happened. He said it was beyond his knowledge, and referred me to another appliance repair shop, by the name of Hunter's Appliance/Repair. Mr. ** replaced the motherboard, and the same thing happened again. I called Mrs. Marybeth **, and explained what was going on. She told me there had been no recalls on this model number. After investigating this model number online, I see where there are numerous complaints on this particular model, same problems etc. Mrs. ** said, since the appliance was 5 years old and out of warranty, they could not reimburse us on any of the costs, that she could refer a GE/Hotpoint repairman to fix the refrigerator.

I expected this appliance to last longer than 5 years, and after researching and reading about all the complaints on this particular model, each time a consumer replaces these parts, within minutes or months, they are having to do the same thing again. I'm very disappointed with GE/Hotpoint Company. I can give you websites where the complaints have been filed, and one is a GE Site, with a consumer saying his model had a recall on the circuit board. I told Mrs. ** about this site, and she said I could fax her the reports of any complaints I have found! I asked her if I could just not simply give her the websites over the phone, and she take a look at her convenience, and get back with me. She replied no, but that I could fax them to her! I don't have time to print and fax every report, or have access to a fax machine.

I would appreciate your help on this matter! I have filed a complaint with the BBB on this, and was wondering how to file a complaint on recalls for this model number. If I could have sent her an email message, this would have been an easier access to these websites, but she said I could fax her, and we live in the day and age that we do, where everything is accessible online. I don't understand why she needed these websites to be faxed! I have lost about $200.00 worth of food items, and will now have to purchase a new refrigerator, which I do not have the extra income to do so. The Hotpoint side by side was only 5 years old. I've now been without a fridge for two weeks, and I'm diabetic, so keeping my insulin cold is a must. I've been living out of a cooler with ice! It doesn't seem that anyone can figure out what is wrong with our fridge, and this is a fire hazard, according to the repairmen who have been here, neither would plug back up, after seeing the board's catching fire!

We bought our Hotpoint in November 2004. We are only 2 working adults in the house, so the appliance is not overused or abused. Suddenly, last week, we noticed that the freezer was cold but not freezing, and the refrigerator compartment was cool but not cold.

Because we have a spare old refrigerator in our garage, we were able to immediately transfer the contents of the refrigerator, and so, that loss was limited. However, we will be paying $160 to the repairman who will replace the fan motor. He also explained in terms I did not truly understand that their fans are of a certain type (obviously an initially less expensive type) that tend to fail sooner than they should. He also advised that in general, we avoid Hotpoint/GE products as they have a higher-than-normal repair rate in his experience.

My Hotpoint refrigerator is less than 4 years old. It is so loud at times I can hardly hear my TV. Now, the ice maker has completely quit working. After reading everything, I may just have to go buy a new one but not a GE product.

We bought a new Hotpoint side by side refrigerator on Sept. 8. Since that time, the humidity drawer and the vegetable/meat drawer have both broken. The ice machine freezes up regularly and it has to be emptied and thawed out so that the door dispensers work. The filter on the ice machine only lasts three months causing me to spend $40 every three months to filter the ice and the water it uses. To top it off, the vegetable and fruit freeze. If I turn up the refrigerator, it is not at a useable and safe temperature (40 degrees) according to the health department. I am so dissatisfied with this product that at one time was top of the line. Now, I wouldn't even rate it at the bottom. Upon calling their consumer line, I got no help--only stupid suggestions.

Hotpoint Refrigerator Company Profile