LG Refrigerators
  • 1 star
Based on 347 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

LG Refrigerators

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 15, 2017

2038 LG Refrigerators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I purchased a LG refrigerator and extended warranty from Lowe’s in Nov.7, 2016 and compressor stop working in Feb. 2017. The extended warranty fix it. Now it broke again. Dec 12, 2017 came out to fix it again. It was the compressor and condenser still not making ice. The model number is LFXS25973ST.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

LG fridge LFXS29626S French Door - Remodeled our kitchen and got this new piece of crap unfortunately. Compressor went out 1yr 4mos. Not under warranty. Broke down 6 weeks ago. No fridge for Thanksgiving and looks like no fridge for Christmas. Don't get me started on the customer service. One rep told me pretty much to get over it, she was without fridge once for 5 mos. 6 weeks is nothing! They all act like there's something wrong with us for feeling that the service is unacceptable. And they continue to get away with it. Unfortunately all our new appliances are LG. We remodeled our kitchen 1.5yrs ago. NEVER AGAIN. Will LET everyone know about this. Going to ABT moving forward. They stand behind their products.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Well our big LG made it past its 5th birthday without a single repair, but sadly the compressor died exactly 120 days after that milestone. We bought our LFX31925ST in July 2012 from Home Depot. Looks can be deceiving... the interior had very good fit and finish and oh the size. From the first week, we would hear a loud bang every few days. I figured it was some kind of expansion valve. Ice cubes would often clump together, so it became a routine to open the ice maker door and un-clump the ice with a spoon.

But for 5 years it was pretty much trouble-free. I had a commercial-grade surge protector on it from day 1. Both the freezer and refrigerator compartment stopped cooling right after Thanksgiving this year (thank God it was AFTER Thanksgiving). And just good luck my mom moved the week before and gave me her old upright freezer, thus we didn't lose much food. I removed the back panel on the LG and verified both fan and compressor were running. As it was out of 1 year labor warranty, LG would not pay for the service call to determine if the 7-year sealed system or 10-year warrantied compressor was the culprit. Spent $98 and waited a few days on a service call.

Tech gets on the phone with LG and diagnosed it needs a new compressor. Compressor is under 10-year warranty, 1 month back order, but $1295 for labor is my responsibility. Geez, I should have went to refrigeration school. Tech said he's replaced so many of these LG compressors and recommended I get a new Whirlpool. He said even the replacements would fail. I like our LG fridge for its size and interior fit and finish, but to spend $1300 on a repair that will probably not last? My family members still have GE and Jenn Air fridges that are over 20 years old and not a single service call. Really disappointed. All this linear compressor and Inverter power supply technology seems to have compromised reliability. Anyone still make good old reliable refrigerators?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I purchased Model # LMXS30776S fridge from Home Depot in Nov 2017 and stopped working Dec 2017 and I had my repair guy to have a look at it and it was not repairable due to freon leak. Very disappointing for 3000$ fridge that lasted 3 years. I looked up online reviews from Home Depot and I saw several complaints regarding fridges failing within 3 yrs.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Bought a LG Refrigerator. After few months it stopped working. Took Sears 5 months to get it to work, and could not. Got a new LG from Sears. After one year ice maker stopped working. Service came out. Was told that it was put together wrong. One and half years later compressor went out. LG stands for Lots of Garbage. Compressor covered but labor was not. I'll never buy another any product that LG makes with any other name.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LG TV?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Do not EVER buy LG appliances! They are the worst garbage you can imagine. I paid $2500 for a refrigerator a little over a year ago. First, the ice maker quit working. No big deal, I knew they only warrantied them for 1 year so I bought one and installed it. Didn't fix the problem so I called LG. They offered me to fix it for $485.00 (without looking at it) and said they would provide a 1 year warranty on the appliance if I did that. Since the ice maker wasn't that important to me, I decided to pass.

A month later, the freezer quit freezing. I called the out of warranty department and they want to charge me $125 to look at it and then charge me parts and labor to fix it. I asked about the $485 deal and was told "we are no longer doing that". I requested to speak to a supervisor and was told someone would call me back. I received a call back and was told that I voided my warranty by replacing the ice maker myself, a warranty that was already expired. When I pointed that out, she told me that they KNEW OF THIS PROBLEM and would have covered it but I voided that warranty. When I explained the obvious, I had no way of knowing they would cover it because of a KNOWN ISSUE. I was told if I had called they would have told me. I then wanted to speak to someone higher up and was told NO.

I have purchased, in the past year and a half, an LG refrigerator, LG washer, and LG dryer but I will NEVER buy another LG product again! I have a friend who owns a refrigeration company and he told me they are the worst product on the market, and their company is the worst as well because they do NOT stand behind their products!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Our LG LXFS29766 French door refrigerator broke while practically new and under the LG warranty. It has been the most ridiculous experience, almost beyond words. It has been over 3 months, 3 technicians have visited our home, more than 25 phone call to LG and never once have they called back when they said they would. The latest was that they put in for a request to replace and said that we would receive a call or email within 3 days, 10 days later after having to raise my voice they said that the claim was rejected 6 days ago but no technician has been scheduled to try again to repair the refrigerator.

Being a builder I deal with all kinds of appliance issues and this is hands down the worst experience, they are literally trained to run you around. It almost appears that they just drag it along in hopes that people will just give up. Stay away from LG, I used to like their products but if they do not stand behind what they build. I will never purchase from them again and ask that everyone think twice before purchasing anything from LG.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

The refrigerator was made in Mexico and it broke down after 3 years. On a 10 year guarantee, the compressor was no good. It was made in Korea? Also the new one was made by LG and made in the USA. WHY is LG supplier using inferior parts?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Bought the LG LFC24786st from Sears exactly 3 years ago this week. At the 1 1/2 year point the motherboard and fan needed replacing. Really WTF, a year and a half. Oh well, it was under warranty. Yesterday it happens again. Right now the fridge is sitting at 54 degrees, the freezer is warmer because we had to remove everything. Really now, 2 motherboards in three years plus the Sears extended warranty is no longer any good because of the closing even though I still have 2 years left. This is really looking like LG "Lemon" fridges are not the way to go. I see from above that it's not so much a model of the fridge but the make that keeps breaking. I'll tell you something, this is hitting the internet big time. I'm frustrated, pissed off, and right now... fridgeless.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

This LG fridge is stainless steel. It has never ending fingerprints and does not have handles to pull the doors open. I wish I had purchased a different style.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

The ice maker on this LG refrigerator is cheaply built. It stopped working correctly about 5 years after purchase. Generally we are happy with the performance of this refrigerator. The only issue we see is freezing of items in the refrigerator section even when the temperature is set on one of the lower settings.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

First time for French door and I am a huge fan. It has door-in-door-feature, freezer on bottom and stainless, outside ice/Water in door, and plenty of room inside. I adore this fridge and will never buy a different one again! LG is amazing brand.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I purchased LG French Door Refrigerator LFX3397ST from Lowe's in Aug 2013 and also purchased a 4 year extended warranty. No problems or issues until 2 months after the warranty expired when there was no cooling in either the refrigerator or freezer. Cleaned the condenser coil but still no cooling. Checked the owner’s manual and saw where you can use the Smart Diagnosis feature where you can use your phone to connect with the LG call center to transmit information from the refrigerator for analysis. The call center agent said that there was a compressor issue and informed me of the authorized repair provider to contact. It was Friday afternoon and the repair provider was not open and was also closed for the weekend. I called a local repair shop that was able to send a repairman out on Saturday morning. He arrived and was able to troubleshoot the problem as a failed compressor and/or a sealed system blockage.

Compressor was running but had high amperage draw. The repairman said he needed to go back to his shop and would call me later with a repair quote. He did call but said his company didn’t have anyone that could perform this work. Over the weekend I researched the problem and realized there was a 10 year compressor warranty (parts only). So on Monday I called the LG authorized repair provider (only one provider is listed on the LG website for my area). I gave them the diagnosis and was told that they do not work on LG refrigerator compressors or sealed systems. Called LG back and explained their only authorized repair provider does not work on LG compressors. LG asked me to call other local repair companies to see if they would work on my refrigerator and LG would provide the parts. Called several appliance repair companies and they all would not work on compressor or sealed system problems.

Evidently, they will not work on sealed systems since they cannot make any money and are leery of repeat trips in case of future problems. One guy told me we are a throwaway society and I was better off buying a new refrigerator. I spent $2750 on this refrigerator only 4 years ago and thought I would get a few more years than that out of it. So I called LG back and asked them for some resolution. They said they would look for another repair shop themselves and give me 3 to 5 business days and someone would call me back.

It had now been over 3 weeks since I first called LG. I should note that I have a second refrigerator (14 year old Frigidaire) in our laundry room so I wasn’t deprived of refrigeration and was going to ride this out and see what if anything LG would do. To my disbelief LG called me back and said since no repair shop would work on my refrigerator they would prorate it and send me a check for 60% of my initial total expense which included the refrigerator cost, extended warranty, and taxes. Despite the protracted process I was satisfied that LG eventually stepped up and paid out. I did purchase a new refrigerator but this time not an LG.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I have to defrost the base of the fridge about every two weeks, ice dispenser jams up. Unable to get warranty service so warranty is a false claim.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Has a fuse welded to the motherboard, and it blows within first two years, costs approx. $250.00 to 300.00 to replace the motherboard... for a 25 cent fuse...

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

LG Refrigerator LFX29945ST - Freezer only goes to 19 degrees. Did all the troubleshooting to no avail. Came here to see if there were similar issues. Looks like LG has no level of acceptable customer service. Advice to all who come here. Get a Twitter, Facebook and any other social media platform and drill these guys over and over and over. Do the same to Sears, Home Depot, Lowe's or any dealer that sold you one of their defective products. These clowns have people that monitor social media and they hate bad press. Send a nasty a Tweet every day to everyone who will listen. You will get their attention.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Major component replaced via an extended warranty after 2 yrs. Compressor died 3 months later. Labor not covered. Decided to trash a $3500 refrigerator rather than fight for another defective compressor and lose another $600. I am one of thousands, google this problem. Where is consumer protection?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

The water dispenser window needs to be taller and the bottom full size width of the deli drawer should be 2. You have to open both outer doors to get into that drawer. The top of the freezer door is yellowing, even though it's washed frequently. Other than that, it's a great fridge freezer.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Have had issues with this refrigerator since the beginning. We bought the whole set and it has been repaired, more times than any other we have ever had, freezer freezes up, ice falls out of ice hole randomly, chopped ice has always jammed. As of now the whole thing thinks it is a freezer and it is about 5 yrs old. We will never buy LG again.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Unit goes into 'defrost mode' every few months. Gets warm inside and frozen food gets soft. LG is supposed to run diagnostics but they don't. Lowe's insurance covers repairs but that takes 10 days to show & problem goes away. They won't replace parts... not even take a guess on a repair & they leave with nothing done. Be aware of Lowe's insurance!!! Now front control panel is peeling/separating... waiting again for Service.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

Let me state it is the LG product I will ever buy!! In just over 2 years the compressor is gone. On their website call in site they offer Pay $220 up front for all parts and labour. After a week the tech shows and he does not do compressors. Then Customer Service says, "Oh no we don’t cover compressors under that program." Now we have to pay in excess of $500 labour if LG ever offers to cover the compressors. 3 weeks nothing yet. When calling CS line where I have now spent 7 hours, I have asked many time to speak to supervisor with no luck. Their units may look good but are not built well and good Customer Service does not exist.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I love LG Refrigerators. It is ten years old and looks new. Really nice for a two-person family but it just needs a little more space in the freezer.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

Looks and works great. Got a decent deal on it... but very unhappy with the efficiency as far as viable space in both the top refrigerator space and the lower freezer drawer. Frustrating purchase, and now realize that this has come into play. Will do more research on future purchases.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

We have a two door side-by-side 26 cf unit with water and ice dispenser. The size is great and I wanted the side-by-side because we like the convenience. It accommodates large pizzas so we're happy with that. But I do not recommend the stainless steel outside as it is absolutely ridiculous to keep clean even with the special cleaners. The biggest thing is the water dispenser does not dispense where you expect it. The cup must be in front of the lever you push for water. We have had many guests "surprised" by it which makes the floor the cleanest in that part of the kitchen. If we had been able to test that out before we bought it, we would have gotten a different brand.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

LG Refrigerator Model LFX31925ST - I purchased this refrigerator March 25, 2012. On November 20, 2017 I returned home and the refrigerator/freezer were warm and unit was no longer cooling. I called LG Support which states that they are available 24/7. This is not accurate. After spending approximately 20 minutes on the phone the agent was to book an appointment that would take up to 5 working days. I told her this was unacceptable. She gave me the telephone number to call to see if I could get an earlier appointment on my own. After several attempts to a cellular phone number with a mailbox that was full I began contacting LG Support once again. At 5:10 pm November 21, 2017 I was told by a different customer support agent (Ron) that in fact "NO" appointment had been booked. So I asked the agent to please book this appointment and voiced my sincere frustration with LG.

Throughout the conversation hints were dropped and upon clarifying with this agent in fact the 5 working days is just a timeline for someone (and I stress someone because they would not tell me who) would get back to me to actually book an appointment. I attempted to have other reputable local repair shops do the work (including the distributor where I purchased the LG Appliance here in Edmonton Alberta) to be told by every one of them they cannot do the repairs because LG would not sell them the parts. LG has cornered their repair market and the consumer has no way of expediting repairs to critical necessities.

This is an unacceptable practice in my eyes and this is not stated anywhere in the warranty documents. This is misleading and irresponsible practice. As a customer who has spent hard earned money on LG's product and has to wait a minimum of 5 working days just to find out when an appointment will be made is ridiculous. Some complaints indicate upwards of three weeks for service. LG did not seem to care about this logic and came off like our present prime minister and just re-responded that someone will contact me within 5 working days (now 6 because the first agent didn't book an appointment at all).

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

The refrigerator is great except for the ice dispenser. It freezes and will not come out. You then have to clean the ice tray out in order to get ice from the door.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Purchased a LG French Door Refrigerator less than 2 years ago. Started to notice freezer was not keeping things frozen. Call LG, do the diagnostic where you hold the phone up to the appliance (crazy and doubt it works). They agree to send a tech. Wait a week to get on the schedule. Tech from Mr. Appliance comes out and says compressor, coil and evaporator are bad. We need to turn it off and wait for parts. Parts take another 2 weeks. Tech was here today and replaced all three parts. It took him 3 hours. When he went to start it up, no go. Turns out the heater in the evaporator is bad and blew out the main board. So now both need to be replace. Spent an hour on the phone with LG. First level is outsourced overseas and customer service reps do not speak good English. They follow a script. Begged to talk to a supervisor. Waited 30 minutes for supervisor to take the call.

Spoke to Neil and Willie and they did nothing. Told us they couldn't escalate higher. As long as they deem the appliance repairable we have to wait for the new parts to be delivered and then schedule another tech visit by Mr. Appliance. Absolutely NO customer service. They could care less that we have been without a refrigerator for over 3 weeks, 2 days from Thanksgiving. It's very disappointing to hear them say "Life is Good" and "we don't want you to be inconvenienced" while on hold. And then when you speak to someone, you get zero assistance or customer service. We will NEVER buy another LG product. We bought a lemon which I get sometimes happens. But the reason we won't buy from LG again is their complete lack of customer service. Totally disappointed in how we were treated.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

DID not show fingerprints - during a brown out of our electric service in a storm this unit continued to run. I never lost any food while all my neighbors lost hundreds of dollars of refrigerated and frozen food. Great unit and wish I had moved it with me when I left NJ.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Approx 13 months after purchasing this nice LG French Door Refrigerator, Model LFXS30726S, the door display panel had a strange looking black "leakage" appearing at the bottom. This continues to get worse. It was outside of Mfg warranty (of course), purchased from HHGregg. Took pictures, tried to work with HHGregg, LG, and the service contract company---all said this was a 'cosmetic' issue. No harsh cleaners have been used, no misuse or abuse. Now a year later it's even worse. LG customer service is horrible, no help whatsoever. Warranty company continues to say cosmetic. So after spending over $2000 for this refrigerator, it's my problem. I will not buy an LG product ever again, and I tell everyone I know to stay away from them. This is why I am writing this review, so other consumers won't be caught in a similar situation.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I purchased an LG French door refrigerator a few years ago. Within a few months, all the plastic inside began to crack. It isn't from abuse. It's not from cleaning with harsh chemicals. Every piece of plastic in the top refrigerator is broken - those on the doors and those holding the glass shelves. The freezer drawers are held on the track with duct tape as the freezer inside is all cracked too. The egg holder is completely cracked also. Looks like dry rot. The parts that allow the drawers to pull in and out also fell apart and/or cracked. I am waiting for the plastic holding the bottom glass shelve which goes along the entire width of the fridge to finish cracking so far this one has a hairline crack.

I wrote back and forth to LG who did nothing but tell me they would elevate my complaint higher - but I think they meant lower - as into the trash. It has been 4 months since I gave them my serial number to move the complaint along as they said 'right away'. My entire refrigerator is held together with duct tape. Lucky me that duct tape comes in white now. This is a crime that this company gets away with this. There should be a class action lawsuit. I work hard for my money and this is just unacceptable.

LG TV expert review by ConsumerAffairs

LG, formerly known as Lucky Goldstar, is a Korean appliances company. The company, based in Chaebol, South Korea, has been in business since 1947.

• Storage options: LG refrigerators come with different drawers and doors in a variety of configurations to offer customers the best storage options available.

• Door-in-door: LG sells door-in-door refrigerators. These are refrigerators with an extra door connected to the other door to grab snacks easily or keep things more organized.

• Energy Star: LG's refrigerators are Energy Star certified, so they use less energy.

• Accessories: The company also sells convenient accessories for its refrigerators, such as replacement water and air filters.

• Customization: LG's refrigerators can be customized so that homeowners can fit them into different sized spaces.

• Best for: Homeowners and college students looking for a refrigerator for everyday use.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs