1.64/5

2347 LG Refrigerators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I bought my LG refrigerator in December of 2016 and it’s only October of 2018 less than 2 years and the front of my refrigerator is leaking an acid type of stuff and all LG said was that I needed to pay for it out of my pocket because they only give a 1 year warranty. I told them if it was from wear and tear I could see that but this could be VERY HARMFUL to have an acid type of substance coming out of my refrigerator. So I would not under any circumstances buy this product. Model LSXS26366S / 02.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

The expensive refrigerator with French doors, we have had at least 5 repair calls, the ice/water dispenser leaked and the double doors at the freezer froze up and couldn't open doors. The company has not replaced the unit, they did replace the doors and they didn't work also. The repairman said nothing more he could do. They are ducking me, putting me on hold for almost an hour each time I call. I will never buy another LG product.

Get expert buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

We purchased this unit from Lowe's in Jan 2018. By July the plastic water/ice dispenser lever was broken. I've called many times & was given various work order #'s. They kept giving me the runaround. It's now mid-Sept & I still have no resolution or answers. They refer me to repair places. The repair places tell me I need a different Work order #. I call LG back, they say they will escalate & call me back in 5 business days. I always have to call them back after 7 business days. Then I get the same story "we're so sorry this is happening to you", "I will take care of it". The customer service is so bad, the product made so cheaply I would never purchase another LG product again. Overpriced & full of excuses.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I bought one of LG's “French door” models in July 2014. The compressor has already gone out. Initially, I really liked the unit, with the exception that the ice maker in the door did not stay cold enough and the ice melts together and has to be thrown out every few days. I was willing to overlook this because the rest of the refrigerator worked great. Produce stays fresh for several weeks.

I am giving this refrigerator and LG 1 star mostly because of the service, which is almost non-existent. I wish I could give it 0 stars. I knew that the compressor was out because I woke up one morning and both the refrigerator and freezer were warm, even though the lights and water dispenser were still working and I could not hear the compressor. I tried to “diagnose” the issue so I could let the LG representative know, but it would not give me a reading.

The ability to use your smartphone to diagnose issues was one of the selling points of this refrigerator. However, I had to wait two weeks (including over Labor Day weekend) just to have someone come to confirm that the compressor was the issue. The service person opened the refrigerator and used his own phone to determine that the compressor was out. I had to pay him the $100.00 trip fee for him to do something that I should have been able to do. Then I had to wait another 8 days for them to order the parts and come back to install the new compressor.

The day before the second appointment, they called to confirm that all of the parts had arrived, but only 2 of the 3 parts had come. They told me they were cancelling the appointment and rescheduling it for another week out. I had to demand that they keep the appointment and I tracked down the missing part myself and picked it up at UPS. Finally, the technician came to replace the compressor yesterday, and I immediately knew something was wrong because it made a loud vibrating noise that has not stopped, which began as soon as he left. I called him and left a message but didn’t get a callback. He had indicated that it would take until this morning to cool down enough for food storage. I decided to wait it out and see if the noise would stop. Not only did the noise not stop, but the refrigerator and freezer are still warmer than the inside of my home.

I now get to wait another 5 days for them to come back to re-check the refrigerator. I do not have a second refrigerator, so I am living out of a dorm-size refrigerator and buying ice at the gas station. My interactions with LG and A & E Service have been so negative and their service has been so slow that I have decided to use a different brand of appliances in a new home that is under construction. I will never buy another LG product again.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Nice and big refrigerator broke 13 months after owning, compressor was bad. Spent over $2,000, took out an extended warranty another $250, a year later another compressor. What is wrong with this picture, this is America, why can't we get satisfaction from a company selling faulty merchandise. Don't BUY LG, it is crap, I heard there was a class action suit, I called the attorney's office handling this and they said it was dismissed and had no further information. Come on, really, this is a real issue and people deserve to be compensated for being taken advantage of.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LG TV?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

We brought a LMXS30776S30.0 Cu. Ft. Stainless Steel French Door Refrigerator, for $5000 + 3 warranty. As soon as the warranty was over the refrigerator went out... The open window to renew the warranty was maybe a month... I guess they know how cheap their products are to only give us a couple of weeks to renew the warranty. I only wished that I had read the reviews before I brought their cheaply made refrigerator. Now I’m stuck with a big piece of junk. According to the other reviews, if I fix it...it will break down again???

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Because the defrost heater went out after the 1 yr warranty, I had to pay to have the defrost heater replaced which cost me $400. It has been a little over a year and it's freezing up all up under the crispers and deli tray again. Ice everywhere. LG does not back their products. I guess I can expect to pay $400 every year to have this part replaced. I won't ever buy an LG product again.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

$2500 refrigerator lasted 32 months - After our ice maker started squirting water everywhere and freezing up, we were told we'd need a whole new door to the tune of $600. While we were waiting for the door to ship, the whole fridge stopped cooling. Everything in the fridge and freezer was ruined. The Geek Squad diagnosed the problem as a "sealed system issue," which they are not allowed to work on. Parts, but not labor, are covered by LG, but you have to find your own repairman, and then LG will eventually send them an authorization letter to do the work.

We are not willing to spend over $1,000 to fix a $2,500 fridge, when the repairs are not even guaranteed. LG has not responded to my email, and I've just read many other reviews by people who got tired of waiting for satisfaction from LG, cut their losses, and bought another (not LG) refrigerator. LG knows people can't live that long without refrigeration, so they just stall until people give up. LG BUYER BEWARE!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

We spent $2,022 on an LG French Door refrigerator in May, 2012. The compressor went out in April, 2018 but was covered under a 10-year warranty. LG stated they would not send the new compressor directly to us, they would only send it to an LG authorized service provider, who would come to our home and the repair and labor would be 100% covered. After 3 months of calling (and never hearing back from their maintenance department as repeatedly promised) we said we wanted a certificate for a new refrigerator. LG stated that they needed the original proof of purchase, which we provided via download to them at least 5 times. Then we were told we’d get a refund for the refrigerator since this MAJOR household appliance had been broken for over 3 months and I’d receive an email from them within 5 business days that would detail the refund process.

Again, no response and no email explaining why. I just got off the phone with one of their “executive” staff who said the one-time courtesy repair that was extended in April, 2018 was “null and void”. She acknowledged all the issues and said they wouldn’t do anything at all. DO NOT BUY LG products – they’re expensive and will break during the warranty period - their customer service is designed to string you along for months until you give up. DO NOT BUY LG!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Have a two year old $3,500 LG French door refrigerator rebranded as Kenmore. A year ago, the compressor went out. Parts were back ordered and we had it up and running after SIX weeks. Not even a year later, it stopped cooling again. This time, they say it's the condenser/evaporator. Again it takes six weeks to get it running. It runs for three days and quits again. Finally it has been deemed unrepairable as there is a leak in an internal (sealed) component. We have been without a working refrigerator for three months out of the last year and have lost hundreds of dollars of food in the process. DO NOT BUY LG!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

RE: LG French door refrigerator - inverter linear compressor, made in China. Purchased from Costco in Aug 2016. Ice maker and freezer went out September 2018 - 3 weeks after the warranty expired. Fortunately - We have a backup 10 year old KitchenAid fridge. Advice: stick with Kenmore or KitchenAid - don’t waste your money on LG.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

Purchased May 2016. As others mention here, started failing a few months ago by not making ice. Now not cooling as expected. LG CS asked for a service call $110 to tell me the compressor is bad and that I am out of warranty. They told me the compressor is warranted but I would have to pay ~$500 for installation. After they forced “The Hulk” out of me, they asked me to upload my invoice and they were going to request full warranty coverage. A week and multiple calls later, no resolution. I paid little over $3k for this fridge, expecting at least 10 years out of it. Please avoid this company...

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

LG does not live up to the warranties they promise. My $2K French Door refrigerator stopped working 8/24/18. I have been calling them since that date to get it fixed. They give you a total runaround and try to get "service fees" out of you for problems they create. They are a totally inept irresponsible product company and I only wish I'd known what a joke their products and associated warranties are when I spent my hard earned $2K on the crappy refrigerator which broke in 7 years and was suppose to be warrantied for 10 years. THEY ARE AWFUL - STEER CLEAR!!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Well our fridge is a year and half old and the compressor is bad. I can't believe that something we spend your hard earn money on is not working already. Thank God I caught it when I did or we have at least a couple hundred dollars of food gone to waste. Would not recommend LG to anyone. Buyer beware as the warranty may cover the compressor but we may have to pay to get it installed. And it's not a cheap install either.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

We have had our refrigerator for ten months and the compressor went out. They couldn't find anyone to get it serviced and gave me the runaround. No one speaks English well and they were having a party in the background.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

We purchased a $2700 LFX33975ST piece of junk in 2014. The first repair for an error code resulted in a non-working fridge for 3 months because the part was on back-order and cost us over $500 to repair. Three months later the freezer is working but the fridge will not cool below 46 degrees. The repair shop spent over 90 minutes on the phone with an LG technician discussing possible solutions. 1 - Replace the main motherboard ($200) plus installation. 2 - Replace the thermistor. The technician did not recommend any of those solutions because there is some underlying issue with ALL of these refrigerators that they are not telling us. I have checked the fan (working), the fuse on the circuit board (good), and the compressor (working). Ultimately, the suggestion from BOTH LG and my repair shop BUY A NEW FRIDGE BUT NOT LG or SAMSUNG.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I am extremely disappointed with LG's products and its service, esp. its service. Everyone that I talked to and who had purchased a LG product previously had sworn that they will never buy another LG product again. Now I know why, my 2 year old refrigerator has been broken for over a month now and LG service center is still unable to find someone that is willing and can fix the refrigerator. Every time I called the service support center, I always received the excuse that, "Your case has been elevated to the top level of the support group and we are looking for someone to fix your refrigerator." It's past 4 weeks already and I live in a big city. If there is someone that can fix it, you would have found it by now. The issue is my refrigerator is not easily fixable and LG is unable to find anyone to fix it. They finally located someone to come by and evaluate the problem about 3 weeks ago.

The technician told us that is a compressor problem, but he is not the one to fix it because he is going on vacation and LG will send someone else to fix. He said that he will be gone for one week. I told him that I will wait for him to return from his vacation. He told me I should not have to wait that long as LG will send someone over to fix it before he comes back. It’s already over 3 weeks and LG still has not sent anyone to fix the problem. Another technician I hired told me it’s very costly and time consuming to fix the sealed problem and he cannot do it. The cost to fix it is about the price of a new LG refrigerator. After that, there is no guarantee that it would work. Another LG contracted repair company told me they cannot fix it because it's too difficult.

I have never had an appliance that breaks down within 2 years, esp. with one that is so expensive and have never dealt with a company that does not stand behind its products and honor what it put out on its website and address the customers' issues right away. Finally, they passed my case to the upper management (executive level), which actually is another stalling tactic. Now, instead of dealing with the regular customer support people, they transferred me to the executive service level which gave me the same excuse of searching for someone to fix the refrigerator. The first agent I spoke with at the "executive level" told me to hold and then proceeded to hang up. The second agent was extremely rude on the phone. LG customer support just keeps on stalling and delaying, probably hoping that I will get frustrated and stop calling.

I am very frustrated as I have not been able to buy any foods for over a month already because I do not have another refrigerator to keep the foods and I cannot throw this one out because it's still brand new and I spent a lot of money to purchase it. LG's website has this slogan "LG Direct Service experts know LG products inside and out - from big-screen tvs...dishwashers, refrigerators...and any other LG products. Nobody can match our LG repair service technicians' product knowledge and commitment to excellence, utilizing only genuine LG parts and convenient service times built around your schedule - all backed by LG's promise of satisfaction".

I do not know where this team of experts is and I am surprised that LG can honestly put out such a lie. If LG truly cannot locate anyone to fix its broken product after so long, it should admit that it had sold a bad quality product and replace it with a new one esp. one that is so expensive and so new. What else can I do to get this problem resolve?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

If I were able to give zero stars I would. I purchased a $2500 LG refrigerator 2 years ago and it has also had compressor issues. LG is fully aware of this malfunction yet they are not pulling these off of the market. Their customer service staff is rude as well. I highly recommend you never purchase from this company.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Purchased refrigerator 3 years ago and came home 2 1/2 weeks ago to find that everything had defrosted. Was told it was a sealed system failure and since then haven't been able to get it fixed in a timely manner. Have been told it could take weeks to get a technician out to fix the issue because there are not a lot of places that fix sealed systems. LG refuses to replace refrigerator. I have called around to appliance repair centers and was told to throw it out because to fix a sealed system cost just as much as a new refrigerator. The people that I spoke with at LG were pleasant enough but could care less about customer satisfaction.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

LG LFXC24726D purchased Nov 2015, sealed system failure Aug 2018. Sealed system parts under warranty but not labor. Doesn’t matter, because every authorized LG repair service we call refuses the appointment because LG owes them for multiple warranty parts reimbursements! What good is a warranty if no one will honor it? Need to stay up late to find a commercial for one of those class-action law firms. LG fails to stand behind their products. Meanwhile, it great to have spent thousands on a fridge and then have to revert to a dorm fridge.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I completely agree with the reviewer who said it's time for a class action suit. Repairman told me that when their so-called "sealed compressor" goes, it sends particles into the entire coolant system, often rendering them completely un-fixable. Mine is still under the parts warranty but not the labor (which *begins* at $500) and LG will only offer a "credit" toward another LG POS. It's unconscionable to pay thousands for a faulty design, that they've known for YEARS is problematic. If there's a class action, count me in and will never buy another LG product again.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I had the refrigerator for 4 weeks when a little part at the top of the door broke, easy fix right? Two months out and still cant get it fixed. I paid almost 200.00 for the extended warranty. Doesn't matter. LG is a scam company. THEY DO NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS. Do not buy anything LG. And Home Depot did nothing to help either. It took a letter to their district manager and a complaint with the BBB to get a small response. As of today, nothing is resolved. I want my money back and nothing to do with an LG appliance again.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I wish I could rate this refrigerator LG French Door Bottom Freezer LFXS289685 with negative stars. We had this fridge for 2 years. It made vibrating noise and failed June 29, 2018. We have had 7 repair visits including 3 that included parts. They replaced the compressor, motherboard and evaporator 3X, they replaced the freezer sensor 2X, and the dryer 1X. Now 8/30, yes over 2 months later they (Sears Master Protection Warranty) are finally admitting defeat and opening a case for a replacement. Avoid this and the Sears Elite French door bottom freezer as they are also LG.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

We purchased this refrigerator in December 2016. The first issue was the very typical water tube leak which caused cascading icicles in the freezer (LOWE'S was very helpful with this problem). A couple of days ago, the right top hinge came loose, causing the door to hit me in the chest. I had to support the door to prevent it falling completely off. We were able to reattach the hinge pin and duct tape it to prevent a recurrence. This could have had catastrophic results. Prior to the hinge pin coming out, the door had been difficult to close properly, but we could not see what was causing the problem. I will not purchase any more LG products.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

My Kenmore fridge (made by LG) just went bad. It's less than 7 years old. Needs new compressor and then seal would never be right, as told by repair person. So I'm off buying another fridge. Won't be buying LG. I would join a class action lawsuit if someone starts one.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I think we should all join in a class action against LG. I'm currently on compressor #4 since April 2018 and LG still wants my warranty company Asurion to try another one. This should now have fallen into the lemon law on policy. First compressor installed in April stopped working end of June. Now Aug 27 and 3 more compressor installed still not working. I bought this unit April 2016 for $2600. Money down the drain.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

LG LFXS29766S stopped cooling both on refrigerator & freezer today (21 Aug 2018). Bought it new 29 Jul 2015. Luckily I bought the store 4 year warranty. Repair came in, and I was right. He had to replace the compressor. My LG is working again but I anticipate my fridge to fail again in two years time. What a worrisome product! Repairman was awesome: in and out within 2 hours. He also knew about the first lawsuit that was dismissed. I asked him if there was any other way to convert their inverter type compressor to the traditional type or to a different brand but he said "no". I just hope my LG doesn't explode next... wait... that's Samsung. Lol. This ends my purchase of any Korean appliance product.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT, BUY LG!! We purchased an LG French Door Refrigerator in July 2014. Model #LFXS30766S/02. In June of 2017, the fridge stopped working, circuit board was replaced. Worked until August of 2018, repairman just left, after diagnosing that it has a "sealed system failure" and it would cost $1200.00-$1500.00 to fix. This fridge, mind you, cost $2300.00!! We have lost all the food in it and are presently living out of a cooler and a small "dorm-type" fridge to tide us over. I wish that I had done more research before we bought this lemon! We named it Voldemort, because it's evil! Do yourself a favor-do not buy anything LG! Evidently, they don't care about their customers or making a good product. Life is Good?? Not if you have the misfortune to own an LG product-especially a fridge!!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

If I can save anyone from the aggravation I have been facing for the last month, I will be pleased. See https://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/lg_refrigerator.html?page=24. If I could rate this is zero, I would. After reading some of these ratings, I find that I have to read more of these reviews to see if there are more cascading problems to expect because I do not want to put good money into a bad product.

4 years ago I purchased what I thought was a lovely top of the line LG refrigerator. After 4 years, the freezer condenser fan and sensor went. A month later, it gets the error code “Er IF”. This Error Indicates The Ice Maker Blower Fan has a Loose Wiring Connection or may be Frozen or the Ice Maker Motor is Faulty. NOTE: Also check these other parts to be sure there are no other issues causing the error code: The Ice Maker Blower Fan May Be Blocked or Frozen and unable to function properly. Ice Fan Motor May Be Defective and needs to be Removed and Replaced. Wiring on the Fan to or from the Control Board is Damaged, Not Connected, or Loose. The Main Control Board has Failed Or the Wiring is Damaged, Not Connected, or Loose. My refrigerator repairman says that the problem I had with the freezer sensor and condensing fan is a “KNOWN DEFECT” and he has serviced a good many of the same problem.

LG doesn’t want to declare it a defect or recall them because they would have to redesign the flaw; recall and fix the flaw themselves or pay for these repairs and they don’t want to do that. So, they do not declare it a defect or make a record; they throw the cost back to the customer whom purchased from them instead. Shame on you LG! I paid $2,500 for an appliance that only lasted for 4 years! I will never buy one of your products again! The best advice I can give anyone at this point is before buying a refrigerator contact a few refrigerator repair man and ask them which refrigerator they think is the best. And again refer to these reviews @ https://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/lg_refrigerator.html?page=24. #LG_RefigeratorCostsMoreInRepairs. #LG_RefrigeratorOnlyLastsFor4Years. #DefectiveLG_Refrigerator.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I bought a French Door refrigerator in June of 2016. It completely stopped cooling in August of 2018. Called LG who sent me through some basic troubleshooting and gave me phone numbers to technicians that aren't helpful. One sound sketchy (answers the phone "Hello") and insisted I make an appointment thru a non-existent website or send an email to his Gmail. One said they won't service my town. One has yet to call me back. I called a reputable but non-LG-authorized repair service who said it would cost $1,200 for a new compressor and I would have to deal with LG myself (I think to buy the compressor).

Given the reviews about back ordered parts, and lack of authorized techs, I'm left to wonder how long I wait for the other technician to call me back, argue in vain with LG or just buy a new refrigerator. Very open to joining a class action lawsuit. I certainly don't make enough money to replace expensive items every two years. Reading up on refrigerators, old fashioned top freezer refrigerators are a whole lot cheaper and fail less often.

LG TV expert review by ConsumerAffairs

LG, formerly known as Lucky Goldstar, is a Korean appliances company. The company, based in Chaebol, South Korea, has been in business since 1947.

• Storage options: LG refrigerators come with different drawers and doors in a variety of configurations to offer customers the best storage options available.

• Door-in-door: LG sells door-in-door refrigerators. These are refrigerators with an extra door connected to the other door to grab snacks easily or keep things more organized.

• Energy Star: LG's refrigerators are Energy Star certified, so they use less energy.

• Accessories: The company also sells convenient accessories for its refrigerators, such as replacement water and air filters.

• Customization: LG's refrigerators can be customized so that homeowners can fit them into different sized spaces.

• Best for: Homeowners and college students looking for a refrigerator for everyday use.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs