1.87/5
Based on 409 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 22, 2018

2228 LG Refrigerators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 22, 2018

Very dissatisfied with this product (LTCS24223S 24 cu. ft. Top Mount Refrigerator). If I could give it negative stars... they'd be in the triple negative digits. I purchased this unit in 2015 with a one-year extended warranty. Thank goodness for the extended warranty because it needed service a few months prior to the extended warranty expiration. There was ice buildup behind the icemaker as well as behind the entire back panel - between the back panel and the cooling coils. I've always left enough clearance between the vents and the food so as not to block any airflow. When I asked about the ice buildup, the repairman said this was an LG thing. WOW!!! AN LG THING... REALLY!?!? Wish I'd known that before I laid down my $1,409.27 for this fridge.

It’s been randomly popping and cracking so loudly that my entire household jumps out of their skin. The icemaker - after only 10 months of use - quit making ice. There's frost/ice in the freezer vents again and condensation dripping from the control panel in the refrigerator. The fridge is level. This is not a misaligned door/seal issue. I did not, nor do I intend to purchase another extended warranty. The fact that you have to purchase an extended warranty is very telling about the LG’s confidence in the quality of their product. If I get 5 years out of this unit, I'll really, really be surprised. I don't need my refrigerator to talk to me or keep track of my BMs. I need it to freeze my food, make ice in the icemaker (not BEHIND the back panel), and cool my food to prevent spoilage.

This unit is just NOT built for that intended purpose. I'm already putting money aside for another unit because I know this... will have a very short lifespan. I can guarantee my next fridge won't be an LG. Steer clear off this fridge... No matter how low the price drops... you are throwing good $$$$$ after bad!!! FYI... I wrote the exact same review and posted it on LG's website 4 days ago. Despite having received numerous confirmation emails that the above review was posted on their website, I can find it NOWHERE!!! In fact, only the most recent positive reviews are immediately displayed. The critical reviews are stuffed way in the back.

Even after sorting the reviews for "Most Recent" or "1-2-3 Stars" my review still is not displayed. How many other critical reviews, like mine, are conveniently missing from their webpage? I made sure I followed their Review Guidelines to the letter to ensure posting of my review because I believe the buying public has a right to be informed before they lay down their money for a product that should last 15 - 25 years. This is the only place I'll come to when checking reviews for my next fridge. Unfortunately, that purchase will be a lot sooner than I expected.

Original review: May 22, 2018

As soon as the warranty (1 YR) was over... Problems started. Temperature changed by itself; called LG they connected to the unit and fixed it, but continue to ask for me to get extra warranty (I did not). Unit started icing inside and water inside as well, after several (self do it yourself) defrosting, problem continued. Called LG again and they said they could not take care of it, that I needed to make appointment with them to have it fixed. I told them I would take the frig/unit and drop it in front of the store explaining to everyone what was wrong with it and worthless it was. They got connected online and reset it and it worked fine for a while. Now it's doing it again.

All of their units are worthless even their cell V10 & V20, their dishwasher it's also another piece of crap. NEVER AGAIN will I ever buy LG. So far stove/oven and microwave works... but give it time. BTW, units are less than three years old and I'm hardly ever home to use them, so it should only be about 6 months worth of use. Thank God I didn't buy the washer and dryer from them.

Get expert buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 19, 2018

While recently reading a Consumer Reports article about recommended refrigerators, I noticed that LG got very high ratings. Given my experiences with an LG refrigerator, I was shocked. Six years ago, we were so pleased with our LG top-loading washer/dryer so decided to look at their refrigerators. I saw the one I wanted right away -- stainless, French door refrigerator with a huge amount of room inside and outer door ice and water dispenser. Loved the interior lighting, too. After looking at this one, I knew nothing else would make me happy so we plunked down $2500 for it, on sale no less! It ran fine the first year and I was the envy of anyone who came to our house and admired it.

Skip to year 2 -- New Year's Eve and we kept hearing this loud noise whenever the fan came on. An LG certified repair technician checked it a few days later and said it was a known design flaw; ice would build up around the fan and when the fan turned on, it would hit that ice. She was able to repair it and things were great again -- until the water/ice dispenser stopped working later that year. It had to be replaced but luckily, we had bought an extended warranty so we didn't have to pay for it.

Shortly after that, one of the glides on a freezer drawer wasn't working correctly and it had to be replaced. This past December, the ice tray kept overfilling with water so when it froze, the tray couldn't empty; we kept hearing a loud clacking noise. I had to get out my blow dryer to thaw the ice enough that the tray could turn over and dump it. Of course, since the refrigerator is 6 years old, our extended warranty was up so it was on us to get it fixed. Luckily, my husband is a former Industrial Arts teacher and avid YouTube viewer, so he ordered a new ice maker and fixed it himself. It worked fine after that.

2 months ago when I opened the refrigerator one night, I noticed quite a bit of water on the top of the freezer door. I thought maybe I had spilled water, though I couldn't imagine how I might have spilled that much, and after cleaning it up, I opened the freezer drawer. Soft ice cream, thawing meat, melting ice cubes did not bode well. Strangely, the freezer indicator on the outside of the refrigerator registered 0 degrees. I checked the refrigerator and the inside felt warmer than usual. When I stuck a thermometer inside, it registered 50 degrees. Thinking maybe the coils needed cleaning, we did that and moved all of the food to our 25 year old garage refrigerator and to our basement freezer. The next morning when we checked the temperature in the refrigerator, it was almost 70 degrees so time to call an LG certified technician. (Not easy to find, by the way)

The first one who came to our house and checked our refrigerator announced that it needed a new condenser and two evaporators. He was qualified to fix them, but his company would no longer allow their technicians to work on the LG evaporators/condensers because there's a special valve inside that, if damaged during a repair, can't be fixed -- the whole refrigerator would be dead. His company didn't want to assume that responsibility, and I can't really blame them. The second LG certified tech said that even though the parts are still covered by the LG warranty, it would cost us about $700 plus a $100 service charge to fix it. That's almost a third of what we paid for the refrigerator and would cover the cost of a new no-frills top freezer refrigerator! Oh, and only a 60 day guarantee. We said no thank you, so as we speak, there's what my husband likes to call a "$2500 paperweight" sitting in our kitchen.

I sent an email to LG and the answer I got back sounded as if the girl who replied hadn't even read my email, or at least didn't understand it. Her suggestion was to contact an LG certified technician to fix it. (I guess she missed the part of my email where I said that we consulted TWO LG certified technicians!) Disgusted with that response, I sent a letter to both the President of LG and the Consumer Relations person to express my dissatisfaction with my refrigerator. Have I heard back? No. Will I hear back? Probably not. Given the number of complaints I've seen over time, it appears that LG service leaves a lot to be desired. I think it's a sad commentary when a $2500 less than 7 years old dies, while a 25+ Kenmore out in the garage is still working just fine.

According to one of our repairmen and from what I've read, the problem is that appliance companies today are manufacturing appliances to last only 5-10 years, and refrigerators are nearer the bottom of that estimate. Gone are the days of appliances that lasted 25 years or more (I had a Maytag washer/dryer set that lasted almost 30 years!) Most refrigerators, too, have only a one year warranty, so purchasing a longer warranty is pretty much a necessity.

Searching for a new one over the past several weeks has been a real challenge, and so far, nothing has grabbed my attention like my LG did six years ago... maybe because I'm going back to simple, top freezer fridge without an ice maker so we'll hopefully avoid a lot of repairs. Bottom line: If you're looking for a new refrigerator, please do your homework, and stay away from companies with poor service record reviews after the sale. Also, make sure you buy an extended warranty because chances are, you'll eventually need it.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Don't buy this thing. LG's warranty is a joke and Costco won't let you return after 90 days. I have been trying for 3 weeks to get my 3.5 year old LG refrigerator fixed under warranty, no one will touch the thing. 3 weeks without a refrigerator and all LG does is give me phone numbers for "authorized" repair places that don't answer or refuse to work on LGs anymore. Their fancy compressors are failing and there are class action lawsuits working through the courts. Stay far away!

Original review: May 16, 2018

LG French Door Refrigerator is 1.5 years old and cooling system is intermittent, lost entire content of unit. The ice in the ice machine melted while I was away and ruined my hardwood floor ($450 repair for floor). The local authorized service techs said they have had others LG refrigerators have the same problem. Called LG and was able to schedule a technician to come out after 4 tries. I canceled before he came out because it was working again but since it was prior to the 24hr period they would not refund me. The tech said it would be hard to figure out what is wrong if it working. He suggested that he not come out and wait until or if it has problems again. He said he thinks it is the compressor which is $250 + 125 service call to fix but no guarantee that is the problem.

Thank God the parts were under warranty. For a $2000 refrigerator I would of expected it to last more than 1.5 year and have no problems. My old 25 year old GE fridge is still working and never been serviced. LG customer service center is not terribly helpful; called a number of times, each time got a different story, they were only able to follow the script and there was no way to escalate to a supervisor - very frustrating. I usually look at the reviews before I buy. Did not this time but wish I had as I am not the only one to have this type of problem. LG not only has problem with their phones catching on fire and the tops of the washing machine coming off but now it looks like their refrigerators are junk also. Bottom line, will never buy an LG kitchen appliance again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LG TV?

Original review: May 16, 2018

We purchased an LG Counter Depth, French-Door Fridge (LFXC24726D) from Costco 21 months ago. We have been working through Costco Concierge Service, LG and our semi-local repair crew. The problem was diagnosed with a major leak in the system. The local repair crew replaced the compressor, two evaporators, and a dryer. The repair lasted about 24 hours. On the subsequent return visit, the tech checked for dye leaks on all of their solder joints. None were found and the tech deemed the fridge as not repairable.

This fridge is still under Costco 2-year warranty, and it has been tough getting the repair/refund resolved. LG warranty support sucks -- even with Costco pushing them. As of this writing, we have been living with this defective fridge for 4 weeks! If half of the prospective refrigerator buyers shopping at Costco, Home Depot, Lowe's, and Best Buy had a clue about the way LG handles their customers they would never consider anything manufactured by LG product -- NOTHING!

Original review: May 16, 2018

LG French Door Refrigerator is 4 years old and developed a leak in the cooling system, the unit no longer cools, lost entire content of unit. This is the second LG we’ve owned, first unit lasted only 7 yrs. Authorized service technician quoted labor charge of between $700-$1,500. None of the local authorized service techs had anything good to say about LG. LG customer service center is not terribly helpful; called a number of times, each time got a different story, they were only able to follow the script and there was no way to escalate to a supervisor - very frustrating. Bottom line, will never buy an LG kitchen appliance again.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Bought a $2600 LG refrigerator 3 years ago. It no longer cools and has ruined the contents twice. First repairman refused to do any warranty work for LG. Second repairman said that parts are covered under the warranty, but labor will be $390 - $450. THIS IS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF JUNK THAT I'VE EVER PURCHASED. I wished that there was a "Lemon Law" for refrigerators.

Both repairmen said to stay away from LG refrigerators. Not only are they a piece of junk, but you can't get parts in a timely manner. It appears, from reading the reviews, that this is a common problem with LG refrigerators and it looks like the compressors go bad frequently. I'm switching to Magic Chef or other Whirlpool brand. I hate to throw away a three year old, $2600, refrigerator, but I'll never trust this or any other LG product again. No wonder LG doesn't participate in this website. My Advice: DO NOT BUY AN LG REFRIGERATOR UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE!!!

Original review: May 14, 2018

Bought a nice looking LG fridge 3 years ago. Worked for about 2 years. On the 3rd year, the freezer does not cool. Called LG and was able to get a technician to come out. Fridge was fixed after $280 in labor. Was told the compressor was bad and there was a leak in the system sealed system. Thank God the parts were under warranty. 11 months later, freezer is not cooling again now. Call LG and they wanted $125 trip charge plus $250 for labor before they will come out to take a look at it. Give me a runaround. For a $3000 refrigerator I would of expect it to last more than 3 year. My old $700 whirlpool fridge lasted me 10+ year.

Original review: May 14, 2018

Fridge is 15 months old and the compressor went out and ruined all of our food and the repair labor was over $450. The repairman knew immediately what the issue was and said that LG knows they have issues with the compressors. I would run far away.

Original review: May 12, 2018

We purchased an LG french door bottom freezer from Home Depot July 2017 and the top refrigerator area will not maintain a safe temp. I have contacted LG customer service numerous times, it is still under manufacturer warranty however they have been unable to find a technician that will service our rural area, 4 referrals and no service. They "assure" me they will find someone to do repairs however it is nearing a month without proper working condition of refrigerator. Poor customer service, poor quality of product. Beautiful but non functional. Definitely do not recommend!

Original review: May 10, 2018

Bought this LG-fridge (24726S) about 2 yrs. ago at Best Buy. First Problems occurred after one year, now after 2 years fridge doesn't cool (freezer temp at 33°F). Five tries to get LG customer Service failed after waiting time of more than 15 minutes. Worst customer Service. // And: we have the same Problems with our LG fridge in our German home. For sure: never ever again a LG product!!! Where are your made in the USA products???

Original review: May 8, 2018

Everything is kept at a good temp. Have had zero mechanical problems. Its appearance fits in well with new, update kitchens. If there are questions, the company immediately responds.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I paid $1900 for the LG refrigerator thru Pacific Sales. Two weeks out the freezer door broke and had to be replaced, a week later it needed the ice maker replaced. They refused even though I purchased a warranty thru Pacific Sales. Never again any LG product.

Original review: May 8, 2018

This unit really fits into the flow of the kitchen. Shelf height is adjustable and easy to accomplish. Very helpful with holidays and entertaining. Great supply of ice, easy to use door dispenser for fast access. Easy to see what is in the ref. even when fully loaded.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Guess we should feel lucky our LG Model LFC25770SB French door refrigerator lasted 8 yrs. I was still shocked, considered it new. Woke up to find ice melted and freezer food all thawed. Thought possibly drawer was not closed. Had to throw out everything from top and bottom. Compressor blew and was told 7 yr warranty. LG referred me to parts company. $200 for compressor. Repair company said have to order through them or won't guarantee work and said $850 to fix.

Hubby took beautiful piece of junk apart and to the curb. New fridge coming on Tuesday. Write off as lesson learned. DON'T BUY LG REFRIGERATOR. Our 20 yr old Frigidaire is working great in basement. Appliance sales staff said new models all have motherboards probably programmed to break something so only expected to last 5 or so yrs now anyway, they don't care about keeping the customer. Still believe you either luck out and get one put together right or get a bad one... Just like a car.

Original review: May 7, 2018

My side by side LG freezer (model LSXS26326W) which is only 2 years old has had the freezer die on it 2 times already. It makes no ice and the freezer temperature is up to 40 degrees even though it is set to 0 degrees. We have called the LG company several times but they keep repeating the same thing, "Adjust the temperature." But we have adjusted the temperature several times but it does not help. We are seeing that others are complaining about a faulty compressor. I would not recommend this unit to anyone and please before buying any appliance check around and gather information to see what the best one is. I am really upset and I have lost all my meat and frozen food.

Original review: May 7, 2018

The door inside a door design seems like a good idea. But doesn't work very well. The inside plastic door is always open and in the way. Even if you take the time to latch it closed. Next time you open the door. The inside plastic door is open and in the way again.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Our upside down fridge has been tremendous with inky 2 exceptions. The door trays are too flimsy, even though I do not load them with too heavy items. The freezer baskets allow things to fall through or get caught. The baskets need to be of a solid material and not open weave.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I love the space the LG refrigerator gives me with french doors. The freezer at the bottom is a plus and plenty of room. Don’t have to drop food on my foot like a side by side. The lights make it easy to see everything. My lunch meat tray is a plus. Buy LG appliances. You will not regret it.

Original review: May 6, 2018

We purchased an LG French Door LFXS29626B refrigerator 1 1/2 year’s ago and it stopped working about three weeks ago. All the food In the bottom freezer dethawed and no ice is disowning from the door. I have called LG numerous times and had their tech out three times. He said it was the compressor and ordered the part, came back five days later installed another part (apparently just because the part came in what appeared to be a new box did not mean it was a new part). It still doesn't work. Meanwhile we’ve been living out of coolers and LG gives excuse after excuse when I ask to speak to a supervisor. Had I known about the class action suits that have been brought against this company I would not have bought this piece of junk. As for “customer service” LG would does not know what that is or care to provide it. This has truly been a horrendous experience and they should be held accountable.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Our LG refrigerator has been going strong for over 10 years. Since our kitchen is small, we were limited in the size of refrigerator that we could purchase. LG fits in the kitchen perfectly and for our family of 2 adults and 2 kids, we are able to fit all of items that we need in it. One feature that we love to this day is its ability to produce cubed or crushed ice. It is roomy and easy to clean. Another feature is that fingerprints do not show on the front exterior, which is great when you have little kids.

Original review: May 6, 2018

The freezer compartment is large, lots of room. The refrigerator itself has lots of space in the door for a gallon of milk and other large containers. It has 2 drawers that are pretty big for deli/Vegetables.

Original review: May 6, 2018

The icemaker gets stuck, manually need to separate cubes. Also makes popping noise. Door seals get black mold. Stainless finish is impossible to get spotless even with dealer's suggested cleaner and etches unlike my Miele dishwasher stainless exterior which cleans up perfect effortlessly!!

Original review: May 5, 2018

My LG fridge is a dud, within months of ownership, the door shelves broke off, the snack drawer cracked, and during Summer, the freezer does not freeze; needless to say, it does not make ice, and your food is constantly ruined. Forget about ice cream!

Original review: May 5, 2018

The unit is larger than the one it replaced. French door gives more flexibility than side by side. Also, it has a door in door feature. Very good for conserving energy. Very nice looking and lots of room. I'm very happy.

Original review: May 5, 2018

The LG refrigerator has beautiful design inside and outside. Very well lit. No problem except it made a low noise every 15 minutes which was fixed by the store's repair section.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I purchased my refrigerator in November of 2014. I began to have performance issues with the cooling fan within two weeks of operation. After a remote diagnosis I was told that the cooling fan was freezing up; when I asked about repairs I was told to just insure that all doors and draws were tightly close and to check all seals were air tight, bad advice. Between November 2014 and April 2016 the same issue continued to occur. After a series of calls and two more visits, LG would no longer return with pay; this was an ongoing issue. With no further help from LG the repairs were completed in 2017 through use of my home appliances insurance.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I bought a LG refrigerator. After 2 years the display window started to go black. I call LG and the store I bought it from (Pacific Sales). The LG representative was no help. She gave 2 numbers to call for repairs. One said he was not accepting new business and the other said I was out of his service area. Pacific Sale said "I did not buy the extended warranty", they could not help me. This is obviously a manufacture defect. I have never used any kind of cleaner of liquid on this refrigerator. I would recommend not buy LG Refrigerator.

Original review: May 3, 2018

The LG refrigerator works great and looks great. My only complaint would be about the way the top on the crisper drawer close. You have to be very careful or you will break the lid off of the drawer.

LG TV expert review by ConsumerAffairs

LG, formerly known as Lucky Goldstar, is a Korean appliances company. The company, based in Chaebol, South Korea, has been in business since 1947.

• Storage options: LG refrigerators come with different drawers and doors in a variety of configurations to offer customers the best storage options available.

• Door-in-door: LG sells door-in-door refrigerators. These are refrigerators with an extra door connected to the other door to grab snacks easily or keep things more organized.

• Energy Star: LG's refrigerators are Energy Star certified, so they use less energy.

• Accessories: The company also sells convenient accessories for its refrigerators, such as replacement water and air filters.

• Customization: LG's refrigerators can be customized so that homeowners can fit them into different sized spaces.

• Best for: Homeowners and college students looking for a refrigerator for everyday use.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs