4.7(4,893)
Author picture
Edited by

Overall Rating4.7 out of 5

About Bath Fitter

Bath Fitter specializes in custom acrylic bathtubs, shower enclosures and tub-to-shower conversions. Its factory-trained and certified installation technicians provide homeowners and commercial clients with a demolition-free remodeling solution. The new tub shell and wall are installed directly over an existing tub or shower.

Pros & Cons

Pros

• Free consultations
  • Customizable designs
  • Quick installations
  • Lifetime warranty

Cons

• A little pricey
  • Some plumbing-related complaints

Bottom Line

Bath Fitter offers personalized retrofit remodeling solutions that don’t require full-scale renovations. It’s not the cheapest option, but all designs are custom-made, and installations can be completed in as little as one day.

Featured Reviews

Verified
Windham Centre, ON

I am very pleased with the work and professionalism that was shown while both bathrooms were being done. Workers were polite and explained the work that would be done and answered...

Verified
Santee, SC

I just had both of my bathrooms remodeled for shower stalls. The installations went very well. I was very impressed by the way that the shower looks in the main hallway, not to me...

How does Bath Fitter work?

Bath Fitter’s refinishing products are custom-molded to fit over existing fixtures for quick and clean bathroom renovations. Bath Fitter then creates a bespoke piece of acrylic (or whatever material you choose) to fit over your existing tub or shower.

You can schedule a free virtual consultation on Bath Fitter’s website, and the company’s services include a lifetime warranty that lasts for as long as you own your home. A typical project with Bath Fitter follows these steps:

1. Consultation: The first step is to schedule a consultation. During this time, consultants give great suggestions and clarify all the details before doing any work, according to Rochelle, a reviewer from Texas.
  2. Customizations: Pick out your bases, colors, wall patterns and accessories. You can choose from different shelves, soap dishes, towel bars, shower rods, trims and moldings. A “Design Your Own Bathroom” tool on the company’s website lets you do this virtually and see what the finished product will look like.
  3. Measurements: Once you know what you want your space to look like, the company’s representatives take precise measurements of your bathroom.
  4. Custom design: Based on these measurements, Bath Fitter creates a custom-fitted acrylic liner that fits over the existing fixtures. The liner is designed to cover the walls surrounding the bathtub or shower as well.
  5. Installation: From here, the installation process is quick and straightforward. Installers simply fit the new tub or shower directly on top of the existing one — no plumbing work is required.

Bath Fitter costs

Bath Fitter costs vary based on a range of factors. A customer in Florida told us they spent $4,000 on redoing a master shower. Another customer in North Carolina said it cost $9,000 to replace a tub with a shower.

“To be fair I have to say it was a bit pricey,” a reviewer in Maine told us. “But what isn't today?”

Bath Fitter FAQ

What is Bath Fitter?

Bath Fitter is a company that specializes in bathroom remodeling and renovation. It was founded in 1984 with a focus on commercial properties. Today, Bath Fitter’s residential services revolve around installing customized acrylic bathtub liners, shower enclosures and wall surrounds. It currently has locations in the U.S. and Canada.

How much will Bath Fitter charge me?

The average cost of a Bath Fitter installation depends on the homeowner’s or facility’s needs. Anecdotally, Jean in Kentucky paid $9,000 for a shower installation. Douglas in Florida appreciated there were no hidden costs. Lois in Florida said their final quote was $7,200 for a 36-inch-by-36-inch shower stall project.

Your total costs depend on whether or not you opt for upgrades, finance the renovation or get a discount. It’s best to schedule a free consultation on the Bath Fitter website for a personalized price estimate. Bath Fitter costs are generally reasonable, according to John in Illinois, Rick in Tennessee and Emeline in Sacramento.

How long does Bath Fitter take to complete an installation?

Bath Fitter can install your new bathtub or shower enclosure and walls in as little as one day.

One reviewer, Ingolf in New York, told us: “The scheduling process was easy and flexible to our calendar. The two technicians arrived before their scheduled time and were on the job exactly as promised by 8 a.m. … They tore out the old tub and shower enclosure, installed new green board and plumbing and had the job completed by noon.”

Does Bath Fitter do plumbing?

Bath Fitter’s process doesn’t include demolition or plumbing work. Instead, the company places the new structure over your existing bathtub.

What does Bath Fitter’s warranty cover?

Bath Fitter’s warranty covers acrylic bathtubs, tub surrounds, replacement showers and shower conversions.

Is Bath Fitter a good company?

Bath Fitter has received overall positive reviews on our site. Many customers were pleased with the professionalism and quality of work from the installers. They were happy with the final product and would recommend Bath Fitter to others. However, there are also some negative reviews regarding poor communication from the sales team, delays in installation, and issues with cleanliness and follow-up.

For example, a reviewer in Indiana was “happy with the speed of the one day installation except for the outside trim. … The gap was filled in sloppily with white caulking.”

» COMPARE: Best bathroom remodeling companies

Bath Fitter Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bath Fitter?
Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Nov. 5, 2023

Bath Fitter converted my tub to a walk-in shower. I had wanted to do this years ago, but kept putting it off. Then it got to the point that because of medical reasons I had problems stepping over the sides of a tub to take a shower - so it was time. Bath Fitter made it easy to do the conversion, the technician was here on time, he worked hard and overcame any problems he found, and the tub he pulled out had loose tiles on the wall so he had issues. But he took it down to the studs. I had a seat, hand-held, two grab-bars, as well as the regular shower head. The technician placed everything where it would be easiest to use, and it is perfect. I love my new shower. It couldn't be more perfect than it is. The advisor from the beginning to the technician at the end, and the people on the phone in the middle, they are all as friendly and helpful as they can be. If I could, I would give them 10 stars, they deserve it.

Bath Fitter
Response from Bath Fitter

Hi Sarah, thank you so much for sharing your experience! We are thrilled to hear our team was able to complete everything to your satisfaction!

Get buying tips about Bathroom Remodeling Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Staff

Reviewed March 15, 2023

I would like to say I was very happy with the finished job. I could not believe my eyes when it was done. It made our bathroom look so brand new after we had reno's done a month ago. I love it. Also the gentlemen who came to do the work Soheil ** was very professional in what he was doing, very polite took the time to explain to us questions we were asking him and worked very hard well he was here, Not like some other companies. He was thorough in cleaning up the mess when he was done. I have to say again Soheil is a very outstanding man and he gets 5 Stars from me. Way to go Bath Fitter. One happy customer. Thanking you. Deborah **.

Bath Fitter
    Response from Bath Fitter

Hi Deborah, thank you so much for your review! We are so thrilled to hear our team was able to provide you with a great experience!!

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupPunctuality & SpeedStaffProcess

Reviewed March 11, 2023

Alvaro was prompt, organized, totally professional, answered my questions and also let me watch what he was doing when possible. He followed the protocols set up at a prior interview with the company agent, Tim **. I could see that he had followed all the steps -- because I could read the questions he had to answer on the numerous check off lists. As Alvaro worked, he involved me in the final details by asking for my preferences where they were required. This was crucial and the result was a customized product that accommodated my specific situation. Alvaro was respectful of the spaces he was in from the garage, to the condo elevators, to my corridor, and to my apartment areas. He cleaned up all work areas to a perfection. I would give Alvaro an A plus from his arrival to day's end.

The one negative that I experienced is not with the worker but with the process. I made a few calls after the installation work was done. I wanted to offer an evaluation right after the work was done, and especially to report on the excellent workmanship and SKILL of Alvaro. No form was available at the time, but one of the staff members took my remarks. I was disappointed with this situation, but I am pleased to see that three months after my Bath Fitter installation that the company now has a formal report form. One more point needing clarity. I identified my work by the Invoice Number, but the form asks for an "order number" which I could not locate on any of my paperwork.

Bath Fitter
    Response from Bath Fitter

Hi Barbara, thank you so much for your review! We are so thrilled to hear our team was able to provide you with a great experience!!

PricePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed March 10, 2023

I had a shower/tub combo that started leaking. Instead of replacing it with the contractor grade like the original, I reached out to companies to install a stand-up Shower. After several weeks of having folks in for quotes, I gave Bath Fitter a call. They came in very competitive in pricing, but what set them apart from the competition was this... They manufacture their own acrylic products. This is HUGE as they control every aspect of the project.

Bottom Line? I had them replace the faulty bathtub AND a perfectly good one at the same time. They gave me a little extra discount since I had both replaced. It was WORTH IT! They are very professional and trustworthy. They showed up on time and completed everything as promised! One glitch (incorrect glass shower door) was corrected the very next day. I can highly recommend them!

Bath Fitter
    Response from Bath Fitter

Hi David, thank you so much for sharing your experience! We are thrilled to hear our team was able to complete everything to your satisfaction!

Installation & SetupCoverage

Reviewed March 10, 2023

I head the bath tub covered and the walls and ceiling over the bath covered and it looks 1 million times better. I picked white for the tub and the walls and ceiling are a marble look with white and gray. I know it’s an allusion but when I first got in the tub, I swear it feels like it’s bigger but I know that’s impossible. It’s only been done about a month, but so far it is holding up very well. I have a window in my shower and they did the trim around the window perfectly so I don’t have to be afraid of getting it wet. They replaced the plumbing, which I’m not as happy with because I prefer a separate hot and cold handle but they only install the single handle System.

I don’t like the anti-scalding feature because I figure I should be able to make up my own mind how hot I want it. I don’t like the government making decisions for me. How much prefer the two handle system, but it was not an option and that is not only with Bath fitter. Overall I give them five stars. The ledge of the tub was wider, giving me plenty of room for the shower doors that I installed because the ones I picked required at least 3 inches and the edge of the old tub underneath would not have allowed these doors to be installed.

Bath Fitter
    Response from Bath Fitter

Hi Bruce, thank you so much for sharing your experience! We are thrilled to hear our team was able to complete everything to your satisfaction!

Installation & Setup

Reviewed Nov. 22, 2023

We wanted a speedy renovation to our basement suite, and the decision we made to have Bath Fitter update the tired and outdated bathtub and surrounding tiles was an excellent one. In just 6 hours the bath area was transformed, looking fresh and contemporary, without all the mess and time associated with tearing structures out and rebuilding. We are very pleased with the results and the technician who came to do the installation.

Bath Fitter
    Response from Bath Fitter

Hi Lisa, thank you so much for your review! We're glad to hear everything was completed to your satisfaction!

Reviewed Nov. 21, 2023

We are very pleased with the conversion of our tub to shower project. The job was done on the specific date set. (No delays at all). The installer put carpet protection down as the first step of installation. The installer kept to the task and completed the job all in one day.

Bath Fitter
    Response from Bath Fitter

Hi Debby, thank you so much for your review! We're glad to hear everything was completed to your satisfaction!

Installation & SetupPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Nov. 13, 2023

After 3 experiences with Bath Fitter, they were very much what we expected from them. They arrived on time and worked quickly and quietly. The installers were polite, accommodating, they kept us informed of the progress they were making. The finished product was clean and inviting. We loved how the finished product looked and have ENJOYED our walk-in shower ever since its installation.

Bath Fitter
    Response from Bath Fitter

Hi Laura, thank you so much for your review! We're glad to hear everything was completed to your satisfaction!

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupStaff

Reviewed Nov. 13, 2023

Bath Fitter Team did an outstanding job with customer service starting with Sales. Wonderful communication and the product is beautiful and the install was magic. I am grateful that my second time using their service was just as professional and turned out just as wonderful as it has 24 years before. Highly recommend the product and the team. Thank you!

Bath Fitter
    Response from Bath Fitter

Hi Kelli, thank you so much for your review! We're glad to hear everything was completed to your satisfaction!

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Nov. 12, 2023

Replaced my tub with a walk in shower. I live in a in a condo in Century Village on the 2nd floor, so some contractors would not do this. Bath Fitter was great. They handled all the permits and inspections. They started on Monday and were completely finished on Friday. They were 100% professional, great communication, amazing. I’m very happy and would use them again.

Bath Fitter
    Response from Bath Fitter

Hi Martha, thank you so much for your review! We're glad to hear everything was completed to your satisfaction!

Bath Fitter Company Information