Kohler

Compare Bath & Plumbing Companies

Research top Bath & Plumbing Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I am a custom home builder and use several different brands of plumbing. We often use Kohler. They have a lifetime warranty on all their products for original owner, as do most companies such as Delta or American Standard. In the past these 3 companies have been great re their warranty. In the several year Kohler stands out as the weak link. When we had customer warranty issues recently, many parts have been back ordered for weeks or months. Their CS line often hangs up automatically saying due to excess call volume please call back later. When our staff gets through, their delivery timeline is never even remotely accurate, often by more than 30 days. So we buy the parts our self to keep our customers happy, then put their replacement part in inventory eventually when it arrives. It works, but is bad business on Kohler's part. Delta and American Standard always get their parts to us with 24-48 hours; Delta is the BEST for warranty.

We have no idea what has occurred at Kohler, but are using less of their products recently due to poor CS. We warn our clients that Kohler's CS has deteriorated, and encourage them to select other brands. Kohler products are good, but their follow up has deteriorated. Every mechanical part has a potential of failure, we know that, but reputable vendors should take care of it immediately. WE DO!

I tried to return an item that I order and I was made aware of your method of returns after inquiring and demanding to talk to a supervisor. First I was told not to return it but to give it to Habitat for Humanity. I insisted on returning the items to you and asked to speak with a supervisor. She told me that I would be charge shipping and handling and be refunded the $33.90 I spent on the item. I demanded to know what the total would be and finally she told me there was a $7.99 plus $6.00 fee. I told her on the order verification list states that the shipping and handling was $4.32. I think Kohler needs to explain all your charges before customer order. It's a scam.

No matter what Kohler product I've bought, the item failed and NO ONE ever has parts to replace cartridges nor does Kohler even stand behind their items with good warranties. KOHLER is the WORST company I've ever had to deal with from construction to the maintenance end. They don't care about their customers nor do their have any interest to improve their service. I base that on my horrible lifelong experiences with this company. The worst of the worst. No way I would install a KOHLER product in my home or office ever again. It's Moen or American Standad or ANYTHING ELSE BUT KOHLER! I've had cracked sinks, failed toilets, failed faucets after relatively little time of use with NO BACKUP whatsoever!!!

We purchased this Kohler Memoirs 1418-V Whirlpool tub ($10,000) last July of 2016. The tub was installed in October of 2016 and never worked right. For what this tub cost, the customer service should be far more responsive than it has been... Kohler couldn't care less if the tub will ever work properly or follow up on the warranty to replace the parts. They have been giving us the run around since last October - making excuses on the part needed, trying to contact plumbers that are 8 hours away to install a part, which none of them wanted to do. Now it is March 1st, 2017 and still no reply, no follow up, no nothing.

I have spent hours of my time on the phone with these idiots trying to get them to give me a real update on when I can expect the parts to have my plumber install. They give more excuses, tell me they'll call me back or confirm that the part has shipped and nothing... We will probably end up suing Kohler for the cost of the tub. I would avoid Kohler at all costs and find a different manufacturer for a whirlpool tub. Not worth the money and horrible customer service without any resolution or follow through.

I purchased a Santa Rosa toilet in December. I was disappointed in the power of the flush. That week after Installation I noticed that it was filling on its own. My plumber suggested that I put food colouring in the tank to see if it leaked. Less than 30 minutes, there was red colour in the bowl. Kohler sent a new part. it did not work. Yesterday, I received a new part. This is now two months later!

There are no instructions and I am expected to pay to have it installed. I have to shut the water off to the toilet at night as it wakes me 3-4 times a night. Tank empties to one inch depth. Kohler says that this is common as parts dry up in a store. I find this unacceptable for a brand new item. Toilet was purchased at Lowe's. They do not deal with this. Today, I am going to ask about returning it! Of course, at my cost to remove!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kohler?

Five years ago my husband and I remodeled our kitchen. We purchased Kohler products because we thought the name was associated with quality. After five years of use, last night our faucet broke in half in my hands. Needless to say, water sprayed everywhere. Keep in mind that we have a family of three and my husband and son are rarely in the kitchen. When I purchased the faucet, never did I assume it would break after five years. A cheap product and disappointing purchase.

I purchased 3 Kohler Elliston toilets from Lowe's in 2016. All had a new design flush value system and the water kept running after flushing. I contacted Kohler and they shipped me only 2 (instead of 3) replacement valve kits. I had to hire a plumber to install and the same problem with both. Plumber said it is a design flaw. Can't get through to a live person at Kohler anymore. I sent an email demanding replacement and cost of plumber. Bet they say "no".

I had an issue with a Kohler toilet that I purchased from Home Depot. Both Home Depot and Kohler customer service (Meli) were outstanding to work with. They were friendly and addressed my problem to my complete satisfaction in a very timely matter! Thanks! I'd buy from them again w/o any reservation!

Do not ever buy a Kohler product!!! I bought many products when we renovated our house 3 years ago and we have had constant problems with our kitchen faucet. It has been leaking for 2 1/2 months. While these things happen, there is no excuse for the poor customer service provided by the company. They are very difficult to reach by telephone and when you do get them, they are charming and give loads for excuses and say they will call back, but very rarely do. A new faucet was due to be shipped within 14 days - it is now 2+ months and it still hasn't been shipped and they still continue to make excuses. Stay clear of Kohler products. Their service is shockingly bad!

I bought a $x000 Kohler brushed nickel bathroom faucet set from Faucetdirect.com for a new marble bathroom. Upon installation the transfer valve leaked internally. I have 40 years experience as an engineer, so I correctly installed the unit, not using hot solder that could damage the valve, but used male fittings with Teflon tape, so as not to damage the valve. The valve immediately started to leak. Faucetdirect said the valve was under warranty from Kohler and for me to call Kohler direct.

I called Kohler customer service and that was a total waste! This was a quality issue with a new piece and not a 10 yr old installation!!! There was no effort to replace the unit, only for me to repair it! On two occasions I called trying to get the repair part shipped. BOTH times I was told THAT they were IN stock AND THEY would ship it out immediately! Well, of course that didn't happen! Their people made no effort to expedite a solution for me, which shocked me since it was a quality issue with a new part They give you a website to look at your order and all customer service reps do is to parrot repeat the information back to you. Well guess what, I can read!

I have been waiting 2 weeks now for them to ship out an o-ring type seal to me. I have my own o-ring seals as an engineer, but this one is a special beveled flange type that I don't have. In addition they change the date of the proposed shipping to you just when it's due, but of course there is no original date on your purchase order, so this way they are not held accountable, and you can't show the delay! I have been in a professional environment in Fortune 50 companies for over 40 years and this is the POOREST EXCUSE for a customer service department I have ever seen in my life! I will never buy Kohler again, and will let everyone I possibly can tell, know how bad their service is! I am going to Home Depot now and buy Delta or American Standard!

Thanks Kohler! I thought that by spending precisely 2 times the amount of money on a toilet, and by relying on an old reputable name like "Kohler", that I would be good to go. NOT. Dear Kohler people, This isn't rocket science. The opening at the bottom of the bowl should be slightly "smaller" than the opening at the exit (where the toilet bolts to the floor). Take an educated, logical guess at exactly "where" most clogs occur in this new "power flush" design! You guessed it. Right where a toilet auger can just barely reach it - at the floor level. In one year alone I have spent HOURS unclogging... When I contact Kohler I get a form letter that is completely useless. Customer service is a form letter...

I bought a Kohler toilet when I renovated my house about 3 years ago. I almost never write reviews, but this toilet is so bad. I want to warn people! It's constantly running! I've different plumbers out to fix it at least 4 times and they'll replace a seal or jiggle something and within days or hours it's running again. It's a more expensive model too because it's elongated or something so it's even more frustrating that it doesn't work.

We purchased a Kohler Pedestal sink (large size) for our bathroom remodel. The sink was approx. $1,000. After just 5 years, I noticed a small black scratch on the back of the sink (not due to scrubbing with abrasives). When I called customer service, they told me there was no way to fix it. It way out of warranty and it was a common problem. I was then told to buy a new top to the tune of over $500. After 8 years, it looks like a spider web at the back of the sink. My husband's builder grade plastic sink is in perfect condition. If this is a common problem, the sink should have been recalled. Don't buy Kohler. They could care less about their product.

I'm a licensed master plumber and I felt I should advise people to steer clear from any Kohler products! Their plumbing products are over-engineered garbage and would never sell any of my customers anything Kohler. The only thing Kohler is good for is replacing it with a Moen product. I have a customer with a 7-year-old thematic shower valve that is now discontinued by Kohler and now this homeowner will have to have me open wall to replace entire valve. This is unacceptable! I'm now going to be replacing it with a Moen. They have a lifetime warranty. I've had customers with 25-year-old homes that originally came with Moen fixtures and have called Moen and received free replacement parts! So don't waste your money thinking if it's Kohler it's the best because it's not. Any good plumber if honest will tell you they hate Kohler for many reasons aside from mine. Thanks and good luck!

I have ordered a bathtub faucet for my new bathroom and the system came incomplete. There were 5 connector pieces missing from the original box. Lousy quality control. Additionally, the plumbers could not complete the job. A request and order for the missing parts was submitted 3 1/2 weeks ago and the missing parts still have not been delivered, though promises 4 times of delivery... Which never happened. I personally called Kohler, since the store that I ordered the system got no satisfactory results, and I got a 20 minute runaround from the girl from customer service. Obviously she did not give me service.

I am very angry, frustrated and disgusted with the lack of service and the poor incomplete shipment. I expect someone to call to give me some satisfaction on the delivery of the parts. Lastly, the plumbers cannot complete the bathroom and cannot return for another week because they have waited for the final install as the parts to come never ever arrived. I expect someone to follow up with this and get in touch with me. I am a very very very dissatisfied customer. I used to think that Kohler was the best out there, how wrong I was...

I purchased a black toilet with black seat 4-5 months ago. Two weeks ago, the toilet seat cracked. Two days ago it broke apart. I have been trying and trying to reach Kohler but I am giving up. I have also considered Kohler to be a top notch company with good products but this is making me change my mind. Unfortunately, I can't find the receipt so can't provide any info as requested below. What I'll probably do is forfeit the price I paid for the toilet seat and try to find another brand to replace this one as I'm not sure I'd trust the replacement.

One week after we installed the sink a very piece of the porcelain broke off exposing the cast iron. Kohler will replace the sink, but not pay for the second install which is very costly because it is undermount. Now I am very anxious about reinstalling a Kohler porcelain sink if they are so poorly made and am out a lot of money for second install because of a poorly made Kohler product.

We have just finished a 2 bathroom remodel. For one of the bathrooms we used Kohler faucet and shower components (spout, rite-temp valve control, shower head) - all in Brushed Nickel. Unfortunately after they have been installed I realized that they turned spotty (dark, almost black stains). Using a Kohler recommended cleaner (Green Works All-Purpose) and a soft microfiber cloth, I proceeded to clean the fixtures. To my horror, the stains are more stubborn than I am. No matter what I do they will not come off completely. I clean, then dry, then 5 minutes later some of the spots return.

A renovation of substantial cost and I have ugly, abused looking bathroom plumbing fixtures. I do not know if anyone else experienced the same, but would love to hear some experiences and remedies. I also used 50/50 vinegar/water solution as Kohler suggested. Kohler claims this is not something they have ever heard of and the fixtures are likely responding to oils, possibly in my skin. My husband says we will keep me over the faucet!

Faucet cartridge started leaking. After spending hours trying to call Kohler (This is the only way to contact them. There is no email address on their website), decided it will be cheaper just to buy a new part in Home Depot for $15. Kohler, you owe me $15!

I purchased two Kohler Cimarron comfort height toilets. Nine months after the purchase and installation I got a phone call from the city telling me my water meter was spinning out of control and I had used 55,000 gallons of water in less than 30 days!!! I normally use under 2000 gallons. The problem was a flawed and defective fill valve. There had been no sound of running water and no movement in the bowl or the tank, unlike a traditional flapper type toilet and as everything happens inside a virtually closed valve, I had no way of knowing it was running. My water bill came to over $700.00!!! I am senior and living on a fixed income and this is devastating.

Lowe's replaced the toilets with American Standard after the plumber warned me Kohler have a lot of problems. Along with getting store compensation from Kohler, Lowe's put a lot of effort into negotiating with Kohler to compensate me for the excess water bill which was due entirely to their faulty product. I have documentation to back up the amount in excess beyond my regular water bill which averages $20 per month. Kohler refused. So Lowe's offered me $200 to help towards the cost something they did not have to do as they had fulfilled their obligations. Kudos to Lowe's for their support! Avoid Kohler products unless you want to face what I have. Horrible product, total lack of concern for their customers.

I'd give them 0 stars if I could. Bought a expensive Jet Tub. Panel on front unacceptable! Not what was shown on floor model in plumbing warehouse. See pictures below. You be the judge. They have now sent three out. What a joke. My plumber didn't want to put in the KOHLER faucets I bought. Nothing but problems with them. Thank God I returned them! Never again will I buy KOHLER!!!

Do not ever ever buy this toilet! Model K-3588-0. The toilet seat has been falling off since it was installed. When I called Kohler they told me to silicone the damn seat and that there was no fix! They told me this is an ongoing problem! Don't you think you would stop making such a piece of trash? No, they continue to sell this! I spent $1600.00 on this piece of trash and you think they would at least fix it or replace it. I will no longer be a Kohler customer! Do your homework and read reviews on this company as they are not great!

I remodeled my kitchen 2.5 years ago and had a new Kohler faucet installed in my kitchen. It started leaking between Christmas and New year's. When my plumber came on the 4th Jan, he said that it would be best to order the parts directly from Kohler. I called Kohler (on hold for a very long time) and was told to send an email, which I did right away. After a few days of nothing, I called Kohler again (on hold for only 10/15 minutes this time) and was asked to send another email. The next day, I got a call from Kohler saying that one of the parts was on backorder and should be in stock in 1 week and would be sent right away. Today, 2 weeks later, I went online to check the status on the order. It says estimated dispatch date is 10th Feb - almost 4 weeks from the date she told me 1 week. I will definitely think twice before ever buying another Kohler product. What awful service Kohler!!!

Consumer Increased Rating!

Kohler has agreed to a complete refund on my faucet and to determine if I'm entitled to be reimbursed for any damage the faucet caused. If they do follow through, then I will be pleased with the outcome.

shann of Jacksonville, FL on

Original Review

Remodeled our kitchen in 2011 and replaced the faucet with a Kohler. Shortly after installing it started leaking. They sent replacement parts. Tried two more faucets, same issues with leaking. They blame it on hard water, but my inexpensive faucet of 13 years worked fine. I told them I no longer want a Kohler product and they refuse.

I purchased a Kohler kitchen faucet, model #R72511-SD-CP, and had it professionally installed. Within one week the handle came loose and fell off. I couldn't reach Kohler by phone, only by email. Received a reply from my message saying they were having a problem with that model and they would send a replacement handle. I should receive it within 10 weeks. Just received a message that my handle has shipped but the link to view the handle they sent doesn't work. I'm pretty disappointed. I bought a brand name fixture in the hopes that it would actually work well over the long haul and, if there was a problem, I could reach Customer Service to have it fixed. Thumbs down Kohler!

Purchased an expensive Kohler faucet, and less than 6 months of usage the handle comes loose and falls off. Turns out it's just a mini screw that attaches the handle to the faucet, and the fit is designed loose. I've tried screwing it back on but the threads are worn. This is extremely poor engineering considering the handle is used on a daily basis. I'm no engineer, but I can see this faucet handle fail a mile away.

As many do before purchasing on-line they read reviews of the company. Likewise, we read many reviews about Kohler; many not so flattering which gave us cause for not contacting them. But we decided to call anyway. In our case the Kohler shower handheld faucet was purchased several years ago and the cradle that holds the shower wand had broken recently. We contacted their customer service and explained the situation on 10/19/15. The rep suggested photos of the broken cradle assembly be sent to their customer service website, which were provided.

On 10/20 they requested some additional information about the model. By 10/22 we had an acknowledgement that a confirmation number had been generated and on 10/24 a replacement part had been shipped. The replacement part was received on 10/29 and on 10/31 the new cradle was installed. The newer replacement cradle was improved with a thicker hold area to support the wand. It works fine. The overall time was 10 days. Our experience with Kohler to provide excellent customer service was well received and based on their service we will purchase their products when the time comes.

Purchased a $300 faucet, lasted just past the warranty. After numerous calls they agreed to replace the faucet. The new faucet has lasted less time than the first. The replacement was at no cost, however when we tried to remove to install a new faucet it was next to impossible. My advice is it run from any Kohler kitchen faucet. Nothing but leaks and headaches.

Not only has my kitchen sink from Kohler fallen apart in two areas (the faucet head and the handle has fallen off entirely) it is a month later, after 8 phone calls, 5 shipments of the wrong parts, and over 200 of wasted dollars that I am ready to just tear the sink out altogether and replace it. Not only do they not have any functional, specific instructions for me to reassemble my sink, it seems that having to explain all of the tiny nuts and bolts (literally) over the phone is nonsense. I have ended up ordering the same parts multiple times, until finally today did someone even help me figure out what the proper color of my sink is. That is the least of the problems, it was only in my second to last call that the representative I spoke to was able to fully explain how the sink handle attaches and that the problem I am having is one of my pieces is stuck in the handle.

So, now I know I have to order a whole new handle kit, as well as spline adapter. This process could have been solved in one phone call - the one I made a month ago, but each time I call I speak with a different person, even when I have asked to speak with the old representative, and it seems the intelligence level of these reps is low to nil. They end up telling me to order different parts and send me a perfunctory "how to" e-mail that uses a sink faucet that looks nothing like mine. Needless to say, the kitchen sink is possibly the most used faucet in my household and I have been having to deal with one that has no handle for the past two months at this point. Very bad quality product, but even worse customer care.

We purchased a home in 2011 and decided to replace all three toilets in the home with new Kohler toilets. We were having trouble with leaking and we changed the guts a couple of times and decided to go new. We thought Kohler was the best. LOL. We expected Kohler to be an awesome product and we would be worry free for years. Well just before the three year mark my water bill had an increase of 100% so I looked to the toilets. I found a seal in the guts of the toilet - bad.

I Called Kohler and she said there is only a one year warranty on this product. I can buy replacement parts and she says it's better and thicker than the one with the original toilet. Really, I have to go through this again. I have not had any luck with changing any guts in a toilet and now I have one dysfunctional toilet and only a matter of time before the other two go. This is crazy. Now I have a decision - try replacing the part and perhaps go with another toilet and replace them as they fail, ugh.

Kohler Company Profile