Houzz

Written by
Author picture
Edited by

About Houzz

Houzz was created by Adi Tatarko and Alon Cohen, who launched the site in 2009. Houzz has grown into an online community that offers home design and home improvement ideas and connects homeowners with qualified interior designers, landscapers, general contractors, architects and other home design professionals. Houzz is one of the best ways to gain ideas, get inspired and create the home of your dreams.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Online marketplace with 900-plus categories
  • Products include real customer reviews
  • Prices fall in all ranges
Cons
  • Must use original packing for returns
  • Shipping price deducted from returns
  • Third-party sellers range in quality

Featured Reviews

Verified
Houston, TX

While trying to share poor new construction builders reviews on Houzz website, Houzz filters bad reviews and does not publish them. They post most positive reviews and blocks bad ...

Verified
New York, NY

Houzz changes the prices of the same items based on number times you look from the same computer. The file cabinet was $109, then the next day $132. It was the exact same seller a...

Our editor’s take

Houzz offers an extensive listing of products for your home, with an optional plan for third-party contractors. Contractors who are Houzz Pro members seem to like the company and the opportunities they get from it. However, consumers seem to have a bad experience with the company’s return policy and third-party sellers. Customers have also shown concern about review removal.

If you decide to buy through Houzz, make sure to research both the seller and its return policy before purchasing.

Houzz categories

Houzz offers three main services: home design inspiration, a directory of local professionals and a marketplace of home goods and furniture.

• Design inspiration: Houzz offers a catalog of design inspiration, including project photos, DIY guides and cost information. Most of the project photos are from Houzz professionals.
  • Houzz Find Professionals directory: This directory highlights local contractors, including past projects, customer reviews and availability. Customers can message these professionals through the directory.
  • Houzz Marketplace: Houzz Marketplace is a third-party seller that connects users to popular home and decor items from a wide range of sellers. The company offers more than 900 categories of home products.

How to get Houzz

Houzz products can be purchased online and shipped directly to your home. If you’re interested in becoming a Houzz Pro member, you can either sign up for its free plan or enroll in a paid subscription.

Houzz services

Houzz offers various home inspirations and a wide array of online shopping products. You can view design inspirations and shop for products like furniture, bathroom fixtures, lighting, outdoor living, office products and more.

For professional support from local contractors, the company’s main categories are:

• Design and planning
  • Construction and renovation
  • Finishes and fixtures
  • Landscaping and outdoor
  • Systems and appliances

How much does Houzz cost?

How much Houzz costs depends on how you use the platform. If you’re a shopper, prices vary depending on the product and seller. For example, sofas range anywhere in price from $120 to over $11,880. Most buyers will find an option that fits within their budget.

If you’re a professional who wants to host your business on the Houzz Pro site, you need to sign up for a Houzz Pro plan. At the time of publishing, its plans start at $89 per month, depending on what features you want included.

What is Houzz Pro?

Houzz Pro is a project management software developed for design and remodeling professionals. This software allows local contractors to be featured as a Houzz Professional on its site. The company then connects contractors with local homeowners looking for support.

With a basic plan, you can be featured on its website for free. If you want to pay for additional services, like a customer relationship management (CRM) tool, website services, and marketing tools, you can sign up for one of its paid plans, starting at $85 per month at the time of publishing.

Some features that these plans offer include:

• Website builder
  • 3D floor planner
  • Work showcasing
  • Custom client dashboards
  • Branded proposals
  • Online invoicing and payment tool
At time of publishing

Houzz FAQ

What is Houzz?

Houzz is a website designed for renters and homeowners who want to take their designs to the next level. It offers inspiration, a marketplace of products and a directory of local professionals who can help get the job done. Professional listings are set up and managed by the companies themselves. Houzz does not offer any sort of management or guarantee of the quality of service.

What is Houzz’s return policy?

Houzz accepts most returns within 30 days of delivery, although damaged items sent by freight (like a sofa or bathroom vanity) only have a five-day return window. To return an item, you’ll have to package it up in its original packaging. Most of the time, you’ll have to pay for return shipping, so don’t expect to receive all your money back.

Where is Houzz available?

Houzz offers shipping in the United States and Canada. Free shipping is only available in the contiguous United States, meaning Canadian customers or those in Hawaii or Alaska aren’t eligible. The company also has a U.K. site.

Is Houzz legit?

Houzz is a legitimate company, but as a third-party seller of goods, the quality of items can vary. It’s important to read multiple reviews of each product to get a gauge of whether or not it will work for you. That said, some customers say that their negative reviews were altered or not shown at all by Houzz.

Is Houzz free to use?

The site is free to use if you’re a homeowner looking for design inspiration or a contractor. However, you’ll have to pay out of pocket for anything you buy on its marketplace.

If you’re a professional who wants to promote your business on Houzz, you can list your company for free with a Basic plan. You can also sign up for one of its paid plans for premium placement, additional marketing and CRM features.

Stars Rating

• 6%
  • 1%
  • 0%
  • 7%
  • 86%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Houzz?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Houzz?
    Sales & Marketing

Reviewed Nov. 30, 2023

I signed up with the Houzz in 2017 and for these years I witnessed transformation of the advertising, idea-generating site into comprehensive platform for contractors which covers practically every aspect of the business: CRM, 3D imaging, material take-outs, estimates, payments, etc. And, seems like, they never stop improving. Thank you, Houzz!

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Reviewed Nov. 28, 2023

I have been a subscriber to Houzz Pro for about 4 years now and I have seen them increase the tools available to use for my business, like 3D plans and project quoting, and to help grow my business with email marketing tools. Not to mention the boost in internet exposure in my selected areas to be sure my business is landing at the top of a consumer's web search. Houzz continues to improve on the business tools, that are included with my subscription making it a good value for my money.

Reviewed Nov. 14, 2023

I am a interior contractor and the 3D layouts help me show customers what their projects will look like as well as helps me during the design phases. The estimating system is great once you learn how to use it. I enjoy Houzz!

Staff

Reviewed Nov. 10, 2023

I'm a cabinet contractor and have relocated from Los Angeles to North West Arkansas. I've started from scratch here as far as contacts so I allied with Houzz. They are very professional/thorough and thanks to Houzz, I'm privileged to be working with some very good people. I would do it again and I will be renewing with them, money well spent.

Verified purchase
      Contract & TermsSales & Marketing

Reviewed July 3, 2024

HOUZZ PRO IS NOT WORTH ANYTHING. Do not ever sign up for Houzz Pro, they use high pressure sales tactics and outright lies to lock you into long expensive contracts with no way to get out of the contract if you're not happy with the service. The lead quality is total garbage. HOUZZ PRO IS A HUGE WASTE OF MONEY, DON'T EVER SIGN UP.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed June 29, 2024

We purchased two bathroom vanities not a year ago and the paint is flaking off, we spent collectively almost $4500 on these items and they were cheaply made, customer service did not care and felt like we were dealing with a robot. Nobody wants to hear anything, and as far as we are concerned, we were sold an inferior product that nobody is sticking behind.

I would never in 1 million years buy anything from these people again, and this economy, we all work hard for our money and don’t want to be treated unfairly and certainly don’t want to spend a lot of money for junk, which is what we were sold. If you’re looking to buy something, do yourself a favor and skip this website because all you’re gonna have is problems and nobody cares.

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed June 29, 2024

Do not purchase from this company. We ordered two artificial grass rugs and loved them so much we wanted to more so we purchased two more. The second order that came was more expensive and wayyy cheaper in quality. A different color and thickness with a different bottom grip material. Reached out and was told product may vary and that it would be $50 each to return which is 80% of the cost of the product. Horrible customer service and horrible vendor quality.

Profile pic of the author.
      Online & App

Reviewed June 26, 2024

Coloring on website is misrepresented - item looked RED and is actually SHOCKING PINK!!! When I contacted them to process a return they told me to open it, take a picture, etc. When I told them I was not even going to open it because I didn't want it, they finally agreed to process return without pics - but I have to pay for shipping and lug this thing to God knows where to ship it out! This is the worst company I've ever dealt with and will not be buying another item from Houzz EVER. Stay away from this place. Misrepresentation and poor quality are their middle name!

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed June 25, 2024

My experience with Houzz pro was optimistic at first until I signed the dotted line. Once they had me under contract they were quick to work on providing me with a Business logo and description that was 100% copy and pasted from another business' website. I was told that they can't terminate the contract after speaking with a manager who said she would assign me new onboarding specialist. Why would I trust working with a company that has the nerve to copy paste another business info and logo and try to sell it as their work for your company. Then chalk it up to a wiring issue? The onboarding specialist admitted to me over the phone that he just picked a logo and copy pasted some things just for now to get my profile going. I'm trying to grow my business, not become a target for a copyright lawsuit. I deleted the photo and description on my profile asap. This is going to be an expensive mistake that I won't be making again.

Staff

Reviewed June 21, 2024

Upfront was a lot of promises and assurance that Houzz pro is better and different than most. 90% of the clients were bad leads. Couldn't get a hold of them. "Support team" didn't work on resolving issues. Would never go with them again. Very disappointing and discouraged.

Houzz Company Information