2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

About Houzz

Houzz was created by Adi Tatarko and Alon Cohen, who launched the site in 2009. Houzz has grown into an online community that offers home design and home improvement ideas and connects homeowners with qualified interior designers, landscapers, general contractors, architects and other home design professionals. Houzz is one of the best ways to gain ideas, get inspired and create the home of your dreams.

Pros

• Free shipping on many items
  • Search, save and share project ideas
  • Directory of qualified contractors

Cons

• Software not always intuitive
  • Commissions may create higher costs

Bottom Line

Houzz is an online marketplace that specializes in architecture, interior design, landscape design and home improvement. It connects homeowners with qualified contractors who can help with home renovation projects.

What is Houzz?

Houzz is a home design and remodeling website. It aims to connect homeowners with the professionals they need for home design and renovation projects. It also lets homeowners shop for tools and design elements for their home design projects. Homeowners can reach out to multiple professionals across a wide range of industries, which makes planning and scheduling a big project more convenient.

You can find home design professionals in your area, look through their portfolios and ask questions about their experience and availability. You can also read reviews about a particular contractor and narrow down your results by project type and location.

How does Houzz work?

Houzz is broken down into three main categories: inspiration, professional help and an online marketplace.

Inspiration
If you're in the beginning stages of planning a home design or remodeling project, Houzz offers pages of inspiration and photos to help you decide how your project should look. You can browse by project type, room type, your budget, color scheme and a host of other factors. Houzz offers inspiration for bathrooms, bedrooms, closets, outdoor spaces, yards, patios, pools, balconies, kitchens and home theaters.

Once you've decided on the type of remodeling you'd like to do, Houzz helps you filter ideas and inspiration by size, price, color scheme and other specifics, including cabinet finishes for kitchens or the layout for a nursery. You can filter your inspiration results by budget and save all the pictures you like to a private board.

After you click on a picture, you have the option to go directly to a webpage where you can learn more about the company. You can also email saved pictures to yourself or someone else.

Hire professionals
Once you have an idea for your next project, you can use Houzz to find qualified and local contractors to help you get the job done. You can search for professionals in the following categories:
  • Design
  • Remodeling
  • Renovation
  • Outdoor
  • Services
  • Cleaning
  • Appliances

Under each category, you can narrow your results by the project scope and other important aspects.

For example, under the renovation category, you can browse carpenters, flooring contractors, window and door installers, carpet contractors and cabinet makers. This easy-to-use search functionality lets you find professionals who specialize in each part of your renovation project.

Once you've chosen a subcategory, you can filter your results even more by narrowing down professionals by their proximity to you and their overall Houzz rating. You can see pictures of their work, reviews and contact details to send them a message directly through the website.

Shop by department
Once you've found inspiration and the professionals who will help you make your vision come to life, you can use Houzz to purchase furniture, lighting, home improvement tools, hardware, building materials, artwork, wall decor and anything else you'll need for your renovation project.

You can browse Houzz’s expansive inventory of brand name products, including Zuri Furniture, Apt2B, Maxima House and JM Kitchen & Bath Design. Customers can toggle the free shipping option in their search to find products that include free shipping.

Houzz prices

As a homeowner, it is free to browse ideas and inspiration or research and connect with professionals. Houzz offers thousands of furniture and home decor items for a wide range of budgets. There is also a sale category where customers can find furniture, design elements and home improvement resources at discounted prices.

Some of Houzz’s most popular products and their average costs are listed below:

Living room

• ACME Sidonia sofa: $881 with free shipping
  • Hercules Lesley Series contemporary black leather sofa: $944 with free shipping
  • Branwen velvet-button tufted sofa: $1,224 with free shipping

Bedroom

• Avignon farmhouse wood bed (queen): $1,348 with free shipping
  • Tommy Bahama Bali Hai Island Breeze spindle bed (king): $2,366 with free shipping
  • Tall velvet-tufted headboard/footboard panel bed set: $1,224 with free shipping

Outdoors

• GDF Studio five-piece Coral Bay outdoor V-shaped sectional set: $1,883
  • Florence 12-piece outdoor wicker patio furniture set: $6,749

Dining room

• Modrest Legend modern glass and gold dining table: $1,848
  • Seven-piece dining set: $2,028

Houzz has a 30-day return policy and five delivery options: standard, standard freight, inside your door, room of choice and white glove.

Houzz FAQ

Is Houzz free?
Houzz is a free resource for homebuyers. There is no cost to browse inspiration or search for qualified contractors. Professionals must pay to be featured on the website, however.
Is Houzz a reputable website?
Yes. Houzz is a popular resource for homeowners looking to streamline their design, planning, hiring and purchasing processes for renovation projects. Houzz has a 30-day return policy and offers name-brand products and a transparent business model.
How does Houzz make money?
Houzz makes money through advertising products and selling premium listing spots for local home professionals and service providers. Houzz makes a 15% commission on all marketplace items.
Who is behind Houzz?
Adi Tatarko and Alon Cohen founded Houzz after they ran into issues finding ideas and resources for their home renovation project.

Is Houzz Legit?

Yes. Houzz is a trusted and reputable home design and remodeling website that aims to connect homeowners with the ideas, professionals and tools they need to complete any home renovation project. Houzz has been a trusted resource for homeowners since 2008.

Houzz Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Houzz?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Houzz?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

I ordered pull-out trash cans from the Houzz website on Sept 22. At the time the order was placed, the item was in stock and I was given a Sept 27 estimated delivery date via standard shipping. On Sept 27, I checked the Houzz website to see that the order status still said "processing". I contacted Houzz for the revised delivery date, as clearly it was not going to arrive by Sept 27. I was told by the customer service rep at Houzz that they would contact the merchant to find out the status and would let me now. I didn't hear back from Houzz. So I contacted Houzz again. Again, I was told that they would contact the merchant to find out the status and would let me know. I then received an email from Houzz saying the item would be shipped that day.

That night, I received an email from Houzz indicated a revised estimated delivery date of Oct 7-8. That email said the item had been back-ordered. There was no indication on the Houzz website that the item was back-ordered. I would have NEVER placed the order had Houzz been honest about the status of the item. But honesty isn't something Houzz is concerned about. On Oct 4, I contact Houzz and told them to cancel the order. I didn't appreciate them changing the status of the item from in-stock to back-ordered without even informing me or giving me the opportunity to opt out, which any contract allows for when one party cannot meet the original agreed upon terms. But not Houzz. They don't care about their obligations to the customer.

Unfortunately for Houzz, their incompetent customer service rep accidentally sent the email that was intended for the merchant to me, later telling me to disregard that email. In that email, they instructed the merchant to cancel the order. More than 24 hours later, knowing full well that they were to cancel the order, instead they all of a sudden had the item in stock, packaged it up and sent. Houzz then, without my authorization, charged my credit card. I did not authorize them to charge my card for a back-ordered item. I made it very clear that I did not want the back-ordered item, but they charged my card anyway. They then sent return instructions where a refund would be issued only after the item was received and inspected. Of course, they were going to deduct the return shipping cost of $11.75 from that refund. I, of course, raised holy hell. First of all, they lied about the status of the item.

They made the customer believe the item was in stock when it wasn't. Then, when the status of the item changed to back-ordered, they did not offer me the opportunity to opt out free of charge, which they are required to do. And now they wanted me to pay the $11.75, and would only issue a refund after they had inspected the item. I reminded them that that was illegal and they had more than enough time to cancel the order. They said that for this one time, they would pay for the return shipping, but they still wouldn't issue the refund until the item was received and inspected. They charged my card when they shipped the item. I didn't have the opportunity to receive and inspect the item before they charged my card.

Why do they feel they have the right to receive and inspect the item before issuing a refund? The Houzz rep tried to say they contacted the merchant several times; however, it was Houzz that charged my card, not some random merchant. Don't believe what they tell you. Houzz most definitely could have and should have stopped the shipment and NOT charged my card. But rather than do the right thing, they decided to charge my card without my authorization. In my opinion, this company is an absolute scam. They will do everything they can to get money out of customers without honoring their side of the purchase contract. They will leave customers sitting without any idea when their items will arrive because Houzz doesn't care that their merchants flip flop the status of their items without telling customers.

Houzz should be out of business. I will NEVER use this company again. I would strongly urge everyone, especially as the holiday season approaches and this company continues to disregard its commitments to its customers, to go elsewhere. Your money and time are to valuable to waste it on a crappy company like Houzz.

Houzz Company Information