1.5/5 (12 ratings)

About Houzz

Houzz was created by Adi Tatarko and Alon Cohen, who launched the site in 2009. Houzz has grown into an online community that offers home design and home improvement ideas and connects homeowners with qualified interior designers, landscapers, general contractors, architects and other home design professionals. Houzz is one of the best ways to gain ideas, get inspired and create the home of your dreams.

Pros

• Free shipping on many items
  • Search, save and share project ideas
  • Directory of qualified contractors

Cons

• Software not always intuitive
  • Commissions may create higher costs

Bottom Line

Houzz is an online marketplace that specializes in architecture, interior design, landscape design and home improvement. It connects homeowners with qualified contractors who can help with home renovation projects.

What is Houzz?

Houzz is a home design and remodeling website. It aims to connect homeowners with the professionals they need for home design and renovation projects. It also lets homeowners shop for tools and design elements for their home design projects. Homeowners can reach out to multiple professionals across a wide range of industries, which makes planning and scheduling a big project more convenient.

You can find home design professionals in your area, look through their portfolios and ask questions about their experience and availability. You can also read reviews about a particular contractor and narrow down your results by project type and location.

How does Houzz work?

Houzz is broken down into three main categories: inspiration, professional help and an online marketplace.

Inspiration
If you're in the beginning stages of planning a home design or remodeling project, Houzz offers pages of inspiration and photos to help you decide how your project should look. You can browse by project type, room type, your budget, color scheme and a host of other factors. Houzz offers inspiration for bathrooms, bedrooms, closets, outdoor spaces, yards, patios, pools, balconies, kitchens and home theaters.

Once you've decided on the type of remodeling you'd like to do, Houzz helps you filter ideas and inspiration by size, price, color scheme and other specifics, including cabinet finishes for kitchens or the layout for a nursery. You can filter your inspiration results by budget and save all the pictures you like to a private board.

After you click on a picture, you have the option to go directly to a webpage where you can learn more about the company. You can also email saved pictures to yourself or someone else.

Hire professionals
Once you have an idea for your next project, you can use Houzz to find qualified and local contractors to help you get the job done. You can search for professionals in the following categories:
  • Design
  • Remodeling
  • Renovation
  • Outdoor
  • Services
  • Cleaning
  • Appliances

Under each category, you can narrow your results by the project scope and other important aspects.

For example, under the renovation category, you can browse carpenters, flooring contractors, window and door installers, carpet contractors and cabinet makers. This easy-to-use search functionality lets you find professionals who specialize in each part of your renovation project.

Once you've chosen a subcategory, you can filter your results even more by narrowing down professionals by their proximity to you and their overall Houzz rating. You can see pictures of their work, reviews and contact details to send them a message directly through the website.

Shop by department
Once you've found inspiration and the professionals who will help you make your vision come to life, you can use Houzz to purchase furniture, lighting, home improvement tools, hardware, building materials, artwork, wall decor and anything else you'll need for your renovation project.

You can browse Houzz’s expansive inventory of brand name products, including Zuri Furniture, Apt2B, Maxima House and JM Kitchen & Bath Design. Customers can toggle the free shipping option in their search to find products that include free shipping.

Houzz prices

As a homeowner, it is free to browse ideas and inspiration or research and connect with professionals. Houzz offers thousands of furniture and home decor items for a wide range of budgets. There is also a sale category where customers can find furniture, design elements and home improvement resources at discounted prices.

Some of Houzz’s most popular products and their average costs are listed below:

Living room

• ACME Sidonia sofa: $881 with free shipping
  • Hercules Lesley Series contemporary black leather sofa: $944 with free shipping
  • Branwen velvet-button tufted sofa: $1,224 with free shipping

Bedroom

• Avignon farmhouse wood bed (queen): $1,348 with free shipping
  • Tommy Bahama Bali Hai Island Breeze spindle bed (king): $2,366 with free shipping
  • Tall velvet-tufted headboard/footboard panel bed set: $1,224 with free shipping

Outdoors

• GDF Studio five-piece Coral Bay outdoor V-shaped sectional set: $1,883
  • Florence 12-piece outdoor wicker patio furniture set: $6,749

Dining room

• Modrest Legend modern glass and gold dining table: $1,848
  • Seven-piece dining set: $2,028

Houzz has a 30-day return policy and five delivery options: standard, standard freight, inside your door, room of choice and white glove.

Houzz FAQ

Is Houzz free?
Houzz is a free resource for homebuyers. There is no cost to browse inspiration or search for qualified contractors. Professionals must pay to be featured on the website, however.
Is Houzz a reputable website?
Yes. Houzz is a popular resource for homeowners looking to streamline their design, planning, hiring and purchasing processes for renovation projects. Houzz has a 30-day return policy and offers name-brand products and a transparent business model.
How does Houzz make money?
Houzz makes money through advertising products and selling premium listing spots for local home professionals and service providers. Houzz makes a 15% commission on all marketplace items.
Who is behind Houzz?
Adi Tatarko and Alon Cohen founded Houzz after they ran into issues finding ideas and resources for their home renovation project.

Is Houzz Legit?

Yes. Houzz is a trusted and reputable home design and remodeling website that aims to connect homeowners with the ideas, professionals and tools they need to complete any home renovation project. Houzz has been a trusted resource for homeowners since 2008.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Houzz?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Houzz?

Original review: June 12, 2022

While building a garage, I used their site just looking for contractors. Serious mistake. Now I get spam emails repeatedly. Both spams from them and spams from 'you won a prize' kind of fraudsters. Wasn't getting those before, so they literally sold my email to criminals. Have tried unsubscribing numerous times and emailed them to unsubscribe. But they won't listen.

Original review: June 8, 2022

I received 0 leads from Houzz. I paid them almost £400 per month for 10 months which equates to circa £4000. They gave me 0 genuine lead and threw the T&Cs at me. I want my contract to change to a 6 month instead of 12 but they keep ignoring me. I'm writing this review to let any potential customers know what they are like and to avoid them at all costs. Do not pay them any money and do not sign up to their software. Worst customer service I've ever experienced from a company. Spend your money elsewhere as Houzz pro is terrible and so is the customer support. Shame on you Houzz. You owe me a lot of money as you've broken your T&Cs with me by supplying a sub standard product.

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 24, 2022

I made a furniture purchase on May 11, 2022. They reported estimated delivery between May 16 and May 20, 2022. Today, May 24, 2022, I have been struggling to get a response from Houzz on when they plan to deliver my purchase. Every day I get the same answer "we'll email the supplier to find out when" and couldn't get a response for a week. The product is still reported as "in stock" and they are still selling it, but they can't deliver it. They literally wash their hands saying they emailed the seller but they are still selling it. This is my Order: **, to verify that I'm real, and I'm still waiting for a response from houzz. I had an event last weekend and had this piece of furniture to cater to my guests. This site cannot be trusted, I do not recommend buying from this place.

Original review: May 12, 2022

Houzz is part of a criminal interstate fraud organization. Please read through this completely. The five-star review is from an employee. Check it for yourself. Two others are from 8 months ago are from India and are raking up review points by reviewing anything. A war memorial, mountains, Rest Areas, WalMart, and just gobs of restaurants. I think one of them makes part of his living by posting 5-star reviews from the deep south and up and down the I-85 with tons of professional-looking photographs. Many reviews from New Jersey and DC.

Now, Houzz is in a completely different boat. They are associated with established New Jersey and California internet frauds who rake in millions, not just like from you- but defrauding State and the Federal government assistance programs-- Section 8, Cash Welfare, SNAP benefits, and poor mothers' WIC baby assistance- and the associated money laundering.

Houzz assists other frauds that take money and make shipping the goods nearly non-existent. They send out salvaged goods and are shipping that out- it being broken before it leaves the warehouse. They hide behind telephone messaging and unresponsive emails. Houzz assists other thieves by handing out Awards to credential other scam websites. They hand out Houzz Awards for other scammers like candy. I could get one. To qualify for an Award, for any other scammers who want credentials without really earning them, you ONLY need one 5-star review-- and at least 2, yes only 2, other reviews of any type. They qualify (just barely) for the award themselves. I suppose they sell them to other crooks.

Also, Houzz's only 5 Star Review is from an employee at their world headquarters in Palo Alto. They claim worldwide locations, Berlin, Tel Aviv, London, and other European capitals. (Aren't you surprised that with a worldwide company opened in 2009 it has only 8 reviews?) With a short drive, I can verify if their Tempe Arizona office is a sham. Their associated thieves really operate from behind mailbox stores like UPS and FedEx. I only found one location that wasn't an internet myth, a lie in other words. I came across these frauds by way of a company that sells junked computers as refurbished. I ordered one from BestBuy on the same day and received it in Arizona from their New Jersey warehouse in 3 business days. A $75 Chromebook that seems quite new. I am using it now.

The scammers, on the other hand, hide from customers that they have fleeced. After raising the same kind of stink that all of you have, I received a fraudulent text that said my stuff had shipped and here is a tracking number that doesn't exist. Anything to run the clock out on returns or refunds. Researching the phone number, it turns out that it is used in this way for scores of other scamming companies. I went off to check the sellers, not by their posted reviews, but independent ones- like complaints to the Better Business Bureau.

Here's a wrinkle that I didn't expect. They make remediations to people who fill out a BBB Complaints. I guess it's because anyone doing due diligence before a purchase will check with the BBB. Not waiting for a 14-day response time, I just called my credit card issuer and they sucked the chargeback, right out of the scammer's bank account. Do yourself a favor and only pay for everything with a credit card. Checks, money orders, and debit cards will never refund you a cent. So, do your own research and call your local US Attorney's Office.

Original review: May 11, 2022

Do not buy anything from Houzz retails based on the reviews. My negative review of Resistance Swim Spa who manufacturer steel pools and are based in Wales keeps being taken down. I purchased a swim spa based on the positive reviews on HOUZZ and my experience has been nothing short of horrendous. I believe the Houzz reviews for Resistance Swim Spa are not a true reflection of this company.

Over 2 years on and endless calls/emails we have been left in a terrible state with a pool that leaks, equipment that doesn't work, not enough circulation in the pool resulting in green algae and no way to filter the water and after spending almost £50k we still cannot use this pool as it is not fit for purpose. I'm trying to post pictures to show you the shocking state of it but my posts keeps being taken down and our only recourse is legal action. Please think very carefully before you purchase anything from this business.

Original review: April 13, 2022

My company is in the fourth month now without generating anything other than a terrible waste of man hours and money. None of the app works correctly. They pass you off for Zoom meeting to discuss which is limited to 30 minutes and resolves nothing but well we are working on it, after their incapable to perform simple everyday task that contractors deal with daily. Take off tools are inaccurate. Invoicing impossible on company terms. Leads are zero. Sale person lied from the very beginning about all. No contact from sales after promised to return a call within one hour, after receiving my money no contact. Passed to success manager that passes you to another because they can't make it work correctly either. They run the demo and which on its face looks ok but in the real world it designed child. You have to go through numerous steps to achieve anything.

Take off tools are terrible and lacking capabilities of real time issues in the field. This is the worst investment I have ever made for our business with no way to get our money back after several request over months. We are starting our 4 month with and this program has generated nothing but a waste of time. Also if you input any client info on your own they will send it back to you as one of their leads generated by phone. And send you email about it. It's like a child has designed this program and their sales people just straight up lies.

Original review: March 14, 2022

I purchased a Kitchen Pull-Out Faucet With Plate Price: $53.49 I should have figured at that price it would be junk but I didn't. The seller through Houzz (Affordable Variety) has a 2 day requirement for notification if you need parts and a 30 day window for returns or refunds. I figured that it wouldn't matter! The faucet was received 12-27-21. By the time I could get a plumber out, it was installed mid to third week of January 2022 . It flooded my cabinet over the night, first week of March. Well guess what? No refund no return! Guess I get to use my bathroom sink till my next soc. sec check.

This is just part of the customer service reply from Houzz... "The product that you have received, was brand new and in a perfect working condition." And they know that how? Yes new, but how do you know it is in perfect condition when it is UNINSTALLED AND IN A BOX. My plumber took a video of it dripping from the very top inside, where it is crimped (by the manufacturer). He was the second plumber because I first asked the one who installed it. Thought maybe he was just saying that. But the second one, who is on staff at our complex, said "nope, it was poorly made inside. It just took some time." And here is the final sentence from HOUZZ: "It has been over 2 months since this order has been fulfilled, therefore return/refund requests may no longer be authorized." So I say, therefore, I will never ever use Houzz again, and I will therefore tell anyone an everyone, to use Amazon because at least they back their customers!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2022

I ordered two lamps and found out after receiving then they were too big for my purposes. I managed to use one in a different location but really couldn't use the other one. I contacted Houzz for a refund for the one lamp and they OK'd it, so I end up paying $68.08 to have it shipped back at MY OWN EXPENSE and no refund for the shipping because IT'S BUYER BEWARE. So word of advice, BREAK THE ITEM in order to get your refund and not have to pay a heavy-duty shipping fee. In this day and age WITH BEING IN A PANDEMIC AND STORES NOT STOCKED WITH MERCHANDISE, this stealing of your money is unacceptable.

Resolution response: Feb. 11, 2022

Update: Houzz reached out to us and met and exceeded our expectations. Thank you Houzz for turning this situation into a positive.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

Houzz offers a jet tub sold by Simba. Simba had horrendous reviews so I ordered through Houzz thinking if something went wrong at least they had better reviews. The jet tub was delivered with damage. The packaging was damaged and the tub damaged inside where the packaging showed puncture holes. I contacted Houzz. They said to contact Simba. Simba offered to replace the tub or send us parts and give us a discount to repair the tub ourselves. We asked what the discount amount would be if we agreed to repair the tub ourselves. Simba sent the parts and didn't answer about a discount.

I emailed three times asking about the discount and they offered 3% which comes to roughly $90. The estimate to repair the tub is up to $500. I told Simba that offer was unacceptable and they offered 5% or return the tub. I agree to return the tub and asked when they would pick it up. They replied saying to contact Houzz because the issue was resolved on Simba's end. I contacted Houzz and they told me to report the return to Simba. I reported the return to Simba and they said to stop blackmailing them and that the issue is resolved.

I contacted Houzz again and they said Simba is offering 3%. I said no, Simba offered the option to return the tub and that is the offer I'm accepting. Houzz said they would look into the issue. Two days later I messaged Houzz again asking for an approximate expectation time for a resolution. They had no idea what I was talking about and offered me a 3% discount again. I again declined and said I'm exercising my option to return the tub. Houzz asked if I kept the original shipping packaging. I did not, it was damaged from the shipping process which is how the tub was damaged in the first place. Houzz said they will see if Simba would accept the produce return without the packaging.

The tub cost nearly $3200 and the repairs would cost approximately $500.00. The company easily could have resolved this entire issue by paying the repairs and being compensated by the shipping company. I provided them with photos of the product damaged before we even opened the box so they have proof it was damaged in shipping. But instead, they are trying to get out of fixing the issue and bouncing us back and forth hoping we will just go away. We won't. But I also wanted to warn anyone else from purchasing a third party product through Houzz. Do not be fooled by their otherwise good reviews. The one star is only because they respond quickly while giving the run around which I guess is better than no response at all.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

I purchased a vanity top, with the delivery date to be February 11-17. I am from NY and am renovating a condo in Florida, waited to make sure all was well with the order, guaranteed it was so I purchased my flight ticket to Florida to meet with contractor and vanity top to finish the bathroom project…. only to find out today that the item is OUT OF STOCK. So I now have to cancel the contractor, I have an unproductive trip to Florida and a 10% coupon on my next order from Houzz, yeah, like that will happen. Oh, and they’re kind enough to refund my money.

Houzz Company Information