2.9/5 (46 ratings)

About Houzz

Houzz was created by Adi Tatarko and Alon Cohen, who launched the site in 2009. Houzz has grown into an online community that offers home design and home improvement ideas and connects homeowners with qualified interior designers, landscapers, general contractors, architects and other home design professionals. Houzz is one of the best ways to gain ideas, get inspired and create the home of your dreams.

Pros

• Free shipping on many items
  • Search, save and share project ideas
  • Directory of qualified contractors

Cons

• Software not always intuitive
  • Commissions may create higher costs

Bottom Line

Houzz is an online marketplace that specializes in architecture, interior design, landscape design and home improvement. It connects homeowners with qualified contractors who can help with home renovation projects.

What is Houzz?

Houzz is a home design and remodeling website. It aims to connect homeowners with the professionals they need for home design and renovation projects. It also lets homeowners shop for tools and design elements for their home design projects. Homeowners can reach out to multiple professionals across a wide range of industries, which makes planning and scheduling a big project more convenient.

You can find home design professionals in your area, look through their portfolios and ask questions about their experience and availability. You can also read reviews about a particular contractor and narrow down your results by project type and location.

How does Houzz work?

Houzz is broken down into three main categories: inspiration, professional help and an online marketplace.

Inspiration
If you're in the beginning stages of planning a home design or remodeling project, Houzz offers pages of inspiration and photos to help you decide how your project should look. You can browse by project type, room type, your budget, color scheme and a host of other factors. Houzz offers inspiration for bathrooms, bedrooms, closets, outdoor spaces, yards, patios, pools, balconies, kitchens and home theaters.

Once you've decided on the type of remodeling you'd like to do, Houzz helps you filter ideas and inspiration by size, price, color scheme and other specifics, including cabinet finishes for kitchens or the layout for a nursery. You can filter your inspiration results by budget and save all the pictures you like to a private board.

After you click on a picture, you have the option to go directly to a webpage where you can learn more about the company. You can also email saved pictures to yourself or someone else.

Hire professionals
Once you have an idea for your next project, you can use Houzz to find qualified and local contractors to help you get the job done. You can search for professionals in the following categories:
  • Design
  • Remodeling
  • Renovation
  • Outdoor
  • Services
  • Cleaning
  • Appliances

Under each category, you can narrow your results by the project scope and other important aspects.

For example, under the renovation category, you can browse carpenters, flooring contractors, window and door installers, carpet contractors and cabinet makers. This easy-to-use search functionality lets you find professionals who specialize in each part of your renovation project.

Once you've chosen a subcategory, you can filter your results even more by narrowing down professionals by their proximity to you and their overall Houzz rating. You can see pictures of their work, reviews and contact details to send them a message directly through the website.

Shop by department
Once you've found inspiration and the professionals who will help you make your vision come to life, you can use Houzz to purchase furniture, lighting, home improvement tools, hardware, building materials, artwork, wall decor and anything else you'll need for your renovation project.

You can browse Houzz’s expansive inventory of brand name products, including Zuri Furniture, Apt2B, Maxima House and JM Kitchen & Bath Design. Customers can toggle the free shipping option in their search to find products that include free shipping.

Houzz prices

As a homeowner, it is free to browse ideas and inspiration or research and connect with professionals. Houzz offers thousands of furniture and home decor items for a wide range of budgets. There is also a sale category where customers can find furniture, design elements and home improvement resources at discounted prices.

Some of Houzz’s most popular products and their average costs are listed below:

Living room

• ACME Sidonia sofa: $881 with free shipping
  • Hercules Lesley Series contemporary black leather sofa: $944 with free shipping
  • Branwen velvet-button tufted sofa: $1,224 with free shipping

Bedroom

• Avignon farmhouse wood bed (queen): $1,348 with free shipping
  • Tommy Bahama Bali Hai Island Breeze spindle bed (king): $2,366 with free shipping
  • Tall velvet-tufted headboard/footboard panel bed set: $1,224 with free shipping

Outdoors

• GDF Studio five-piece Coral Bay outdoor V-shaped sectional set: $1,883
  • Florence 12-piece outdoor wicker patio furniture set: $6,749

Dining room

• Modrest Legend modern glass and gold dining table: $1,848
  • Seven-piece dining set: $2,028

Houzz has a 30-day return policy and five delivery options: standard, standard freight, inside your door, room of choice and white glove.

Houzz FAQ

Is Houzz free?
Houzz is a free resource for homebuyers. There is no cost to browse inspiration or search for qualified contractors. Professionals must pay to be featured on the website, however.
Is Houzz a reputable website?
Yes. Houzz is a popular resource for homeowners looking to streamline their design, planning, hiring and purchasing processes for renovation projects. Houzz has a 30-day return policy and offers name-brand products and a transparent business model.
How does Houzz make money?
Houzz makes money through advertising products and selling premium listing spots for local home professionals and service providers. Houzz makes a 15% commission on all marketplace items.
Who is behind Houzz?
Adi Tatarko and Alon Cohen founded Houzz after they ran into issues finding ideas and resources for their home renovation project.

Is Houzz Legit?

Yes. Houzz is a trusted and reputable home design and remodeling website that aims to connect homeowners with the ideas, professionals and tools they need to complete any home renovation project. Houzz has been a trusted resource for homeowners since 2008.

Houzz Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Houzz?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Houzz?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

Purchased a California comforter. They send a king size and claims it’s the correct size, tried to returned the comforter. They will not respond to my e-mails. Do not deal with this site, I Complained to my credit card and they are working to getting me my money back. Stay away from them.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2022

Although we asked our renewal to be cancelled in good time before expiry it seems that according to the small print that they call T&C they renew a month in advance without any notification, i.e. checking if the customer is really happy with the service and would like to continue. It is the 2nd time when this is happening as we got stung back in 2016 but last year a good salesperson with a great presentation of how wonderfully Houzz has changed persuaded us. The reality is very different as there is no change.

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

Houzz.com’s policies and practices are severely lacking. Customer service is a great downfall of theirs. We ordered a bathroom vanity through Houzz. Vanity was delivered, and because the person doing the install was not yet available, we stored the vanity, unopened, in our garage. When it came time to unbox and bring in the house, we discovered significant damage to the unit. A cross piece from the front was broken, hinges were bent and there was no way to make the item usable. Notably, there was no apparent damage to the exterior of the package.

Attempts to initiate a return were met with immediate rejection and reference to the damaged item/return policy. In full disclosure, the general policy allows thirty days from receipt for return initiation, but only five days for freight shipped items. We contacted Houzz at the twenty-nine day mark. Certainly past the five days, but we thought that for an $800 item with no apparent damage to the package, there would be some leeway on Houzz’s part. There has been zero consideration on the company’s part, through three levels of customer service contact, and we are left with an $800 box of firewood. A company of this size should really consider working with customers in a more individual way when appropriate, rather than blindly pointing at their policies.

Bottom line, because we had a delay in the work done at our house, we opened a package a few weeks after delivery. We were presented with a fully unusable item and Houzz refuses to assist in any way, being OK with us out $800. We are planning a move in the next year or two, and will have an entire house to furnish….I can tell you who will not be getting any of our business—Houzz.com. This company has had the opportunity to take care of a customer and preserve future business, yet has not. We’re out $800, and they will be out many $1,000’s of future business.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

I ordered in excess of $200 of a product for exterior landscaping and within 1 hour of email saying it was delivered I notified houzz directly via website via chat I did not receive any deliveries. For 5 subsequent days I have been repeatedly required to complete paperwork and forward to both them and some suspect company in the Netherlands. I am relatively sure this was a scam as it took only days to send notification of shipment and when they emailed they would replace it would take 12 business days.

I told them forget it I want my refund as I do not trust one single thing when I have to repeatedly advise I did not receive any delivery. An order of this size should require a signature. My email hit the dark web for a breach from this site a couple of years ago and I believe they never properly cleared that up and anytime anyone orders who may have been compromised by that breach will be scammed. I advised my bank and the Better Business Bureau. I will never ever order from this company again.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

The delivery was horrible. It took a very long time to get the product and still waiting my vanity. Very confusing the delivery drop off system. It is hard to contact to the customer service. My plumbing guy is still waiting to install the sink area. Never again!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

Ordered a cabinet August 1, 2002. Today is September 6, 2022, still have not received it. Absolutely no customer service. Sent many emails to no avail. Will never order from this company again. The money has been deducted from my account, but no cabinet.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

I placed the order on July 15, 2022. The delivery will be between July 26 to Aug 04, 2022. After a week waiting, I contacted Houzz again and they said the order might be lost. They will send me a replacement by that Friday. I waited and didn't receive anything. I contact them back & forth. Finally, I received the order on Aug 23, 2022. I ordered the charcoal black vanity top, I receive a snow white vanity top. I contacted Houzz again but didn't get any confirmation on the replacement yet. They only email me "a return request" and I have to wait 3 business days for seller review on that request.

I have to pay 2 working days to my contractor just to wait for the vanity top (it's the very last thing to do). And now, I can't release the house to my client in time because of Houzz late/wrong delivery. When I asked Houzz for shipping the replacement with fastest speed, they said they can't. So mad. So unhappy. Will never ever recommend Houzz to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2022

Houzz claims to list licensed companies for consumers. They supported the listing of LV Home Concept as licensed and working under LIA Construction. LIA denies relationship and Houzz clearly did not investigate the relationship. They sent me LV Home concept to do my bathroom remodel that is simply a rip-off. Simply put--I got snookered. I am looking into recourse available to me that as a senior I can afford. Houzz hides all email contact capacity so I must assume that this is not an exception.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

My case is similar to other cases that were already described on several sites of customers reviews about Houzz.com company. I am writing about Houzz, online company selling items like furniture for houses, decorations etc. It gives you 30 min to cancel your order after to click on baton. In my case, it was bathroom vanity for renovation and I understand that it will come too late only when they provide time for a proximal delivery. So we called Houzz to cancel the order. Despite of that vanity came to us and it was late and we rejected it and redirected to Houzz.

Cost of vanity was $760 and Houzz charged us $362 for returning item even we did not take vanity. It was still in delivery truck. We had terrible experience and did not have money back. Houzz give us refund 1/2 price of items and took second part. They show you return price after we already rejected vanity. It was smart to do because it is more easy than transport item back to UPS. But Houzz for not use UPS with free return.

Other company like Wayfarer, Amazon, etc give you free return. They use UPS service that send back for free if item rejected. But Houzz makes money from our return for its profit. I do not have other explanation why they do it. I am old woman, my husband is legally blind, it takes for us big efforts to manage orders and returns. We disappointed with Houzz service. The huge return charges never mentioned on site, they MUST give you price for return in time of buying (it is so high), so we know, what to expect.

We WILL NOT buy from HOUZZ anymore and will go to other websites to avoid huge spending for nothing in return. It is terrible company from financial point because it is merchandise company and returns are very probable for different reasons: timing (as in our case), etc. Houzz could use other delivery company but that they use super expensive (possible corrupt with it) to make money. I have only such explanation. Or they DO NOT care about customers. DO NOT BUY FROM Houzz.com. to avoid extra financial problem. Our case comes in line with plenty of others similar complaints that I found on webs now. I am sorry for everyone who was trapped like we did with HOUZZ service, policy, money management. BE Careful with HOUZZ, do not trust them.

Original review: June 29, 2022

I ordered a vanity that was $1700 and way over my budget, but I liked it. It arrived in what I call an "arc of the covenant" package, hammered downsides, etc. When guys showed up today to install, we open it and it's completely cracked EVERYWHERE! I contact HOUZZ and they hide behind a five-day looksie policy for any refund. It's within 30 days of purchase, but you have to look at your product in five days. That's not good customer service, Policies don't exist to SCREW YOUR CUSTOMERS so I have effectively returned everything else and will be contacting my AG in regards to this SCAM of a company. DON'T ORDER ANYTHING FROM THEM. In previous statements, which they did not deny on the phone, they send out salvages that is already broken. That is probably what I got.

Houzz Company Information