Compare Reviews for Hot Tubs
The hot tub industry has several major players and is quite a competitive market. Companies have stepped up in recent years with innovative technologies, especially around hydrotherapy used in treating diseases like arthritis.
Whether they need a hot tub for recreational or therapeutic purposes, consumers should take time to learn about current trends in the hot tub market in order to find a tub that fits their budget, as well as their personal and health needs.
Top 9 Best Rated Hot Tubs
|Read 513 Reviews|
Established in 1979, Cal Spas is recognized as the top global manufacturer of home resort products. The company has 28 trademarks and 48 patents on its catalog of over 250 home spa products, including hot tubs and swim spas.
|Read 177 Reviews|
Master Spas is the world’s largest swim spa manufacturer and one of the largest manufacturers of hot tubs and portable spas. It is headquartered in Fort Wayne, Indiana and sells its products through independent dealers nationwide.
|Read 162 Reviews|
Founded in 1983, ThermoSpas strives to provide the best hot tubs and spas on the market. The company has won numerous awards, and its products include a 20-year warranty on the shell and a "no fault" warranty on the electronics.
|Read 6 Reviews|
Using its Pure Comfort, Pure Performance and Pure Style systems, Caldera Spas strives to be the best in residential hot tubs and spas. Its jets and seats are specially sculpted to relieve stress and relax the mind and body.
|Read 22 Reviews|
Since 1979, Sundance Spas has focused on the benefits of hydrotherapy, including relaxation and stress relief. The company is the world's largest manufacturer and distributor of acrylic spas.
|Read 38 Reviews|
Hot Spring Spas has used its patented jets, which focus on specific muscle groups, to bring relaxation and stress relief to consumers for decades. Its customer service department strives to give each customer the best experience.
|Read 8 Reviews|
Dimension One Spas' products feature the exclusive Vision Filter, a sanitizing system that leaves spa water feeling soft on the skin. The company offers a warranty and has special financing for qualified customers.
|Read 45 Reviews|
Jacuzzi has been one of the leading manufacturers of home spas and other products for over 50 years. With a number of patents, its catalog of products has lots of design choices from which consumers can choose.
|Read 18 Reviews|
Life Spas is a company specializing in hot tubs and gazebos. They also offer a variety of features to add to the hot tubs. The company, based in Chino, California, sells and services counties all across California and Arizona.
The ConsumerAffairs Research Team believes everyone deserves to make smart decisions. We aim to provide readers with the most up-to-date information available about today's consumer products and services.
What features matter most?
Hot tub prices range from less expensive portable spas to eight and 10-person acrylic tubs. In addition, items such as tub surrounds, stairs, decking and even landscaping and lighting can add to cost. Price is highly dependent on brand, size and options, so shopping around is a good idea.
- Low: Portable spas generally fall into this category. They can be collapsed and moved, and they don't require many of the extras of a more permanent spa, such as decking.
- Medium: Smaller two to four person tubs will run in the medium range of pricing. Among these, unicast spas are less expensive than a traditional acrylic hot tub.
- High: The larger six to 10 or more person tubs and more specialized models, such as swim spas, will come in on the high end. The more jets and features that are added, the higher the cost will be.
There are several types of water filtration systems used to keep a hot tub clean and clear. The choice depends on a combination of cost, maintenance requirements and water-feel preference.
- Salt system: Salt systems use chemistry to produce the needed chlorine to kill germs. Many prefer this method to adding chlorine or bromine tablets to the water and say that the water feels softer and silkier with a salt system.
- Ozone system: Ozone works in combination with chlorine and bromine to kill germs and bacteria. In addition, ozone breaks down residues of soap, shampoo and makeup that find their way into the water.
- UV-C system: A relatively new player in the hot tub filtration market, this method uses a high-intensity UV germicidal light ray to kill germs.
Hot tub seating is one of the most important things to consider when purchasing a unit. Depending on how the tub will be used, whether for relaxation, therapy or family fun, different types of seating options will make the experience more pleasurable.
- Lounge: Lounge seating allows for lying nearly vertical in the water, creating an almost weightless feeling. Lounge seats are for those who are seeking a relaxing experience.
- Therapy: These seats provide extra massage points, usually at the neck, back and shoulders. Jets are usually strong for a deep-tissue massage.
- Cool-down: Cool-down seats allow the body to remain partially out of the water. These are good for transitions in and out of the tub and usually provide leg, ankle and foot massage jets.
When it comes to jets, more is not always better. Many professionals recommend having a variety of jets, with the ability to control the intensity of each.
- Rotary jets: Also known as therapy jets, these are used for therapeutic massage and are the most versatile jets.
- Relaxation jets: These jets have a larger and gentler flow and create a gentle and relaxing bubbling motion.
- Pressure point jets: Pressure point jets provide a tight, intense water flow that can be used to stimulate pressure points on the body.
Today's hot tubs come with some options for creating ambiance for bathers, creating an immersive experience.
- Sound system: Hot tubs can be equipped with a sound system. Generally the speakers are built into the top lip near headrests, and they can often be controlled wirelessly via Bluetooth.
- Decorative lighting: Lighting can be placed in the tub as well as along the top or outside. Lighting can change the mood from soft and relaxing to exciting and energetic.
- Hot tub color: The color of the hot tub should not only match the environment but can be used to set the tone of bathers. From blues and browns to black, the hot tub color can set the mood in many ways.
Hot tub accessories
There is a nearly endless list of accessories available for hot tubs, from items that make owning a hot tub more convenient to those that protect the hot tub or add comfort.
- Remote monitoring: Many home systems, such as security and heating systems, are now taking advantage of remote access. Hot tubs are no exception, and consumers can now turn the hot tub up to the desired temperature to be ready when they get home.
- Coverall: Hot tubs come with a cover, but for tubs that are left unattended for long periods of time, such as those in a second home, a coverall can greatly increase the life of the tub and the tub surround.
- Spa pillow: Say goodbye to wet, lumpy towel rests. A spa pillow will cradle the head and neck and can come built into the tub itself.
What are different types of hot tubs?
Vinyl liner hot tub
Also known as soft tubs or portable tubs, these are inflatable tubs that are easy to move. These tubs are usually less expensive than other types but still provide the same features.
Unicast hot tub
A unicast tub consists of the tub and the surrounding cabinet which are molded as one single piece. There can be limits on size for unicast tubs.
Acrylic hot tub
This is the most popular type of tub. They are especially durable for outdoor use and come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes.
Swim spa hot tub
A swim spa hot tub is specifically designed for exercise with a rectangular shape and jets that create a continuous current to swim against. Some even contain underwater treadmills for jogging.
Who's it for?
Consumers needing therapy
Some consumers purchase hot tubs for health reasons, including soothing an aching back, sore muscles or for other aches and pains. Under some conditions, a health plan may contribute to the cost of a hot tub purchased for therapy use.
Consumers wanting relaxation
Consumers often purchase a hot tub for relaxation. A tub placed in a serene environment, such as in a quiet spot outdoors, is the preferred method of relaxation for some.
Consumers wanting family time
A hot tub can be a fun family activity, especially for those with small children. The effort and cost required for a pool may be too much, and a hot tub can be a nice alternative.
Consumers needing exercise
Consumers who are wanting to exercise in water but don't want the expense or commitment of a swimming or lap pool are often attracted to a swim spa.
Founded in 1979, Cal Spas is an innovator in the hot tub business. The company holds 28 trademarks and 48 design patents. Cal Spa offers a wide variety of patio hot tubs, in-ground hot tubs and Swim Pro swim spas.
- Fountain of Youth™: This trademarked product uses micro-bubbles to increase oxygen levels in the water. Cal Spa states that this hydrotherapy rejuvenates the body and skin.
- Trade in value: Trade in an old hot tub and get money toward a brand new Cal Spas hot tub or swim spa. Use the web form to obtain a free, no-obligation trade-in estimate.
- Exclusive offers: By signing up for the Cal Spas newsletter on the website, consumers gain access to exclusive offers.
- Cal Spas blog: The Cal Spas blog offers advice on hot tub and swim spa ownership and repair, as well as a variety of health-related topics.
- Customer support: Cal Spas offers customer support via phone or email or by using their contact form online.
- Best for: Consumers needing therapy, consumers wanting relaxation and consumers needing exercise.
ThermoSpas has been manufacturing hot tubs since 1983 and selling directly to consumers since 1995. ThermoSpas is based in the U.S.
- Interactive design: From the company website, consumers can design their own hot tub, including model, color and jets. They can even place the tub in a photo of their own yard.
- Customer testimonials: On the website, consumers can view actual customer video testimonials about their experience with ThermoSpas.
- Industry awards: ThermoSpas has received recognition from several organizations, including the Arthritis Foundation.
- Industry leading warranty: The ThermoSpas warranty stands above the competition with a 20-year limited warranty on their hot tub shells.
- Free on site inspection: ThermoSpas offers a free location review to answer questions and provide personalized professional advice.
- Best for: Consumers needing therapy, consumers wanting relaxation and consumers wanting family time.
Headquartered in Fort Wayne, Indiana, Master Spas is the world’s largest swim spa manufacturer and is among the largest portable spa and hot tub manufacturers. It offers a number of hot tub brands for sale across the United States.
- Energy efficient spas: Master Spas uses an Icynene foam insulation on its spas to increase their energy-efficiency.
- Noise reduction: The motor on Master Spas’ spas and hot tubs is designed to vibrate 150% less than industry standards, which makes them quieter and more peaceful.
- Water sanitizing system: Master Spas uses a unique system called Mast3rPur™ that uses three natural water sanitizers. These ingredients improve water clarity, softness and scent.
- Made in the United States: Master Spas manufactures all of its hot tubs and swim spas in the United States, which helps to ensure quality control.
- Model options: Master Spas manufactures several brands and models of hot tubs, portable spas and swim spas in various sizes and configurations to fit your needs. Its brands include Michael Phelps Legend Series, Twilight Series, Healthy Living Hot Tubs and Clarity Spas.
- Swim spa options: For those who want the option to use their hot tub to swim, Master Spas offers two lines of swim spas, the Michael Phelps Swim Spas and H2X Fitness Swim Spas. These offer a hot tub at one end and a current of water at the other, so it can be used for both purposes simultaneously.
- Best for: those who want luxury hot tubs or swim spas.
Jacuzzi headquarters is located in Chino, California. Jacuzzi is considered the gold standard in hot tubs, and they're sold in more than 1,000 locations in 60 countries throughout the world.
Founded in 1979 in Costa Mesa, CA, Sundance Spas now has 750 retail locations in the United States. In addition, Sundance can be found in more than 60 countries through its International Dealer Network.
Founded in 1977, Hot Spring Spas is the world's top selling brand. They're made by award-winning hot tub manufacturer, Watkins Manufacturing.
Caldera Spas, part of Watkins Manufacturing, an industry-leading producer of premium spas, is a member of the Masco family of home products.
Dimension One Spas was founded in La Mesa, California, in 1977. The company is now located in Carlsbad, California, and sells hot tubs and swim spas through its network of independent retailers in the United States and around the world.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.