Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We have a Cal Spa for over a year now. It’s just really relaxing and it takes the stress away. Maybe it also helps my bones since I’m getting older. However, I've had some instances where the vent switch will go from 104 to 80. I then have to hit the buttons again. I don’t know if it’s a malfunction.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We got our Cal Spas tub delivery on the first of November and the delivery folks were phenomenal. I installed it myself and it's the second one I've done. I had the old tub for 15 years when we upgraded it and I hope the brand new Cal Spas one would do a lot better. I’m happy with the it and I enjoy soaking in it every other night. The only time I’m at the Cal Spas store is when I need chemicals and the people down there are good and don’t try to upsell me. They got a record of what tub I got and they tell me what I need.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Cal Spa's pricing made me decide to go with them. I got an 8 person tub with 56 jets. The Cal Spas team set it up and they were fine. Since then we've used the tub once every two weeks.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My wife and I were shopping for hot tubs and happened to go to the state fair. We saw Cal Spas and we visited a number of different manufacturers. The Cal Spas team came and helped us with the first start up. So they did a very good job with follow up. What’s interesting about that is some of the printed instructions were not as clear as when the guy came out and explained to us. To sum it up, they are friendly, easy to deal with, and very helpful. I get what I pay for and so far, it's been pretty good with them.

Cal Spas

Hi Jeffrey! We love being able to help customers like you. Cal Spas appreciates you and your business. We craft our spas just so that you can enjoy the spa lifestyle like how it was meant to be appreciated. Enjoy!

Original review: April 5, 2017

I've talked to a couple of different people that I know that have Cal Spas and they really like them so I bought a regular patio spa about six months ago. The construction portion was pretty quick. I was a little confused with how to set it up properly chemical-wise but I was able to figure it out just through the paperwork that came with it. I’ve called Cal Spas twice and they’re very friendly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cal Spas?

Cal Spas

Hi Debra! We are so happy that you are enjoying your new Cal Spas hot tub! Please enjoy your spa!

Original review: April 3, 2017

My situation was a little complicated and I told the dealer that it would be a good idea to have the installers come out as they might have trouble bringing the old Cal Spa out and the new one in. I knew it was gonna have to go over the house. I have a steep driveway and it was pretty tight then the deck had been built around the old spa so I wanted them to look at it and have a strategy. And then both the installers and the crane operator looked at the situation on Google Earth and said that it won’t be a problem.

They got out there the day we had scheduled to do it the first time and the guys who were going to do the work didn’t get consulted. They looked at it and said that they can't do it as they don’t have enough people and the right equipment. I showed the woman at the dealership pictures of how the area looked and she did not share those with the guys who were gonna be doing the installation. I took a half day off work to be there while they did this and then they couldn’t do it.

The installers said the things that they have to do and so we rescheduled it for the second time. They then had the extra guys and the extra equipment they needed to get the old one out. The crane operator who was also there the first time brought a bigger crane and he was very nice about it. He offered to do it at the original quoted price which I ended up paying him more for because I knew he had to come out twice. Basically, it cost everybody extra time because the pertinent information didn’t get passed along to the people who were gonna have to do the work on the ground.

Then the Cal Spas that I had before was very roomy and it ran really well. I would put in a couple of teaspoons of chemicals and chlorine every week and it would stay nice and clear. With the new one, it's the same water that I put, however, it’s cloudy all the time and I’m using more chlorine on it and I don’t quite understand that. I wanted to call the dealer and see what they thought about it. If there is somebody that could give a technical advice that could call me back and discuss that particular issue with me, that would be nice. But it’s working fine. I used my old spa a whole lot and now I use the new one a lot as well. I do a lot of hiking and it’s great to come back after a six-hour hike and be able to drop into the bathtub so it’s awesome.

Cal Spas

Hi Gaetan! We are so happy that you are enjoying your spa and recommend it to others! We love making sure our customers have the best spa experience! Please enjoy your Cal Spas hot tub!

Original review: March 27, 2017

The Cal Spas store was fine and the guy was good. I got a five-seater with one big pump in the middle and they installed it for us. That was pretty easy and everything was fine. There was a little problem with the spa and the guy came back about a month later and fixed one of the sidings. I'm also having a little bit of trouble with the lighting system. It's flickering when you select a different mode of light and it does that once in a while. It's been happening a little bit more often and I was gonna call them about that. But the tub is a little better than the one we used to have. This one's pretty good so far so were happy with it. We've had it for four months now and I'd recommend it.

Cal Spas

Hi Drew! We're very happy that you were able to enjoy your spa! Cal Spas loves customers like you! Enjoy that hot tub for years to come!

Original review: March 25, 2017

Our Cal Spas tub was too expensive to repair so we bought a new one. It was going to be a similar size and Cal Spas seemed like a brand we trusted and we're pretty happy with it, so we got our tub from them again. It was an enjoyable experience and they were helpful when we needed help. Their team was great and very knowledgeable. They even came out and validated something for us. So, the whole after-sales experience was very good.

Cal Spas

Hi Jean! We are very happy to have you as a customer. Please know that Cal Spas will always support America and that each of our spas is proudly made in America for people like you. Enjoy our quality American craftsmanship as you relax in your spa!

Original review: March 24, 2017

I like that Cal Spas are made in the USA and they were reasonably priced. I got a spa that sits on our concrete patio. The kids have had fun having friends over so it’s been nice for entertaining. It’s also good relaxing time together as a family. However, I don’t like the maintenance part. I had no idea I was gonna get into that. It has added a layer of stress in my life. Before we bought the spa, I asked a guy at the State Fair what kind of maintenance does it need, and he got out the two scoops of the chlorine that you put in after you use it and said, “There. That’s it. Now you’re done.” He didn’t really explain that twice a week you’re down there practically being a chemist, measuring water levels and adjusting.

Cal Spas

Cal Spas is so happy that you are enjoying your spa! We value you as a customer and know that you will love living the Cal Spas lifestyle now that you have your own hot tub!

Original review: March 22, 2017

We bought our house in May of last year, moved in, and there's a tub from Cal Spas. It was still running but was ancient old. We knew that it was still working and ticking long, but it was drawing a lot of electricity. We wanted it replaced so we went in at the store and had some questions about stuff as far as where we should keep it for temperature. They came out and did a walkthrough with us to explain the cycles and all of that stuff, which was really nice and informative. During installation, we had to take down one of the walls since we had an enclosed deck, which we had done previously. The installation guys were awesome and they came all the way around the back of the house, got the tub up onto the deck, asked where we wanted the tub, and put it in place. The Cal Spas hot tub is awesome and we love it. We use it a couple of times a week. We live in Minnesota and it's really nice to chill out the bones. Everything has been fantastic.

Cal Spas

Hello Irene! We are so happy you enjoy your spa! We know it will continue to make you happy for years to come!

Original review: March 15, 2017

We bought a six-person Cal Spas hot tub and Secard Pools in Lancaster took very good care of us. They were right on the money and when they said they were delivering, they had it done. The hot tub is great for my back. I don't hurt as much and neither does my husband 'cause we're both older. It's also nice to go out and get in the tub on a weekend morning.

We've used Cal Spas for 22 years. They're very dependable. When we were first setting up the tub, I had an electrician friend who wasn't quite sure how to do certain things to the wiring. We got a hold of technicians and they were quite helpful. When they said they're going to call back in a few minutes, they did within five minutes with the proper answers so they were quite efficient.

Cal Spas

That's great to hear Amy! We're so happy that you are enjoying your spa! Please have a great year from all of us here at Cal Spas!

Original review: March 12, 2017

We like our Cal Spas and it's our first hot tub. It was a very easy installation and we've used it for a month now. In general, it was a good experience.

Cal Spas

Cal Spas is so happy to hear that you use your spa for family time. Nothing brings us more joy than knowing how much you are enjoying it!

Original review: March 7, 2017

We went to two other places and we both thought that the spas that the Jacuzzi store had were nicer but not $3,000 nicer for the design and size. There's a point of diminishing returns where you pay a lot more for a little bit more. Also, this is our first hot tub so no matter which one we got, we'd be thrilled. So, Cal Spas dropped it off and then I wired it in. Then a gentleman from a store came to the house and showed us how to operate it once we had it all wired up and ready to go. Everything went really smoothly.

We have our Cal Spas' hot tub for about three weeks now. There are four of us in the house and we all use it for different reasons. But, we're certainly out in the backyard a lot now than before, especially in the winter. The biggest benefit is when all four of us get in there together. It gives us an opportunity to sit and talk because it is sometimes hard when kids are doing homework and the TV's on.

Cal Spas

Cal Spas is so happy that you would recommend us. We love our customers and know that you will enjoy your spa for years to come. Please have a great week!

Original review: March 5, 2017

I bought my Cal Spa in a state fair last August. The deal I got that time was good and with our past spas we've always had to drive long ways to get equipment and anything with it and there is a Cal Spas very close to us and that's very convenient. The installation was very easy. Their installation team was very friendly and helpful, they gave me some good pointers and tips. The main installer told me how he did the different things because he has Cal Spa himself. I took his advice and I went with it. Everybody's been very helpful, accommodating, and friendly. I would definitely recommend them.

Cal Spas

Cal Spas is so happy you love your hot tub! Keep enjoying it Gene because you deserve it! Have a blast now that the weather is getting warmer!

Original review: March 4, 2017

We bought our Cal Spas last year and we started using it around October. I call up their team about chemicals, what to put in here and there. Everything is good with them.

Cal Spas

Hi Greg! We are so happy that you are satisfied with everything! Please enjoy your week and especially enjoy your spa! We know it will make you happy for years to come!

Original review: March 3, 2017

Cal Spas has a booth at the Minnesota State Fair and they had a sale going on. The salesman was friendly and was able to answer my questions. Installation of the Cal Spas product was also very easy. So far I am liking my Cal Spas and I am satisfied with everything.

Cal Spas

Hi Dale. We're sorry your installation process with your dealer wasn't as great as it could have been. We are very happy that you are enjoying your spa though and know it will give you many enjoyable spa sessions for years to come.

Original review: March 2, 2017

I bought the Cal Spas tub about five months ago. The salesperson did an excellent job and I enjoyed working with her. But when the delivery guys came, they broke pavers in my backyard. I had a clear red brick pathway laid out for them to use during the installation of the spa in a location in the gazebo. It was a perfect setup and I was guiding them. Then I went inside to tend to my dogs and for some reason, instead of staying on the brick pathway, they decided to cut across my newly laid sod. I had to keep that stuff wet and it sunk their tracks down about six inches and I had to have the landscape people come out and redo it. We got through the installation but that part could have been better.

Also, I don't think the filter's working properly because there's a white residue at the bottom and I don't know where it's coming from. The first time I pulled out the filter and cleaned it after a month, it had quite a bit of stuff on it. Then I pulled out the filter a couple of months later and there's hardly anything on it. So I had one of the maintenance guys come over and he's been good about working with me. He said that the white powder was a spa treatment that I had used. I had ordered some Shock stuff off a company, I only used it one time and I know that it's supposed to dissolve.

We ended up having to drain the spa then we filled it up again, flushed it out and made sure everything was out of it. Then we drained it again and refilled it. He also suggested not using any of those other products and I haven't used anything but the Bullfrog canisters since then. However, I'm still getting a little bit of a white residue on there so it's requiring a little more work than I expected. I have a 12000-gallon swimming pool at my house and that was a lot less work than the spa has been. It's spilling water all over the place and I have to take a couple of water to the pool store to let them test it. It's getting very expensive and they're trying to sell me stuff that I really don't need. But lately, it's been okay and I haven't had much problem.

Cal Spas

We are so glad that your new Cal Spas hot tub has punctuated your outdoor living space! Keep enjoying relaxing in your spa and living the Cal Spas lifestyle!

Original review: March 1, 2017

It's been about seven months since we purchased Cal Spas. Having to get a cement slab and arranging for a crane was more of a preparatory experience than we expected. Their reps were fair. We had one concern though about a couple of items missing on the exercise equipment that came with it but we never received any response from them. Otherwise, they're okay. It definitely punctuated our outdoor living space. So, we’re happy about that.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We had a problem with getting the spa delivered and made. It was Cal Spas that made the spa and we bought it from Sea Court Pools. Found out through Cal Spas that Sea Court Pools didn't even deliver the orders a week later and it was supposed to go in that week. I ended up waiting a month and when it came, it wasn't even the right color that we picked when we were in the showroom. They just dropped it off and didn't explain how the thing works. They didn't even speak English. So, when I was asking them how to turn it on or what do I do, they left it there, not even put water in it or plug it in. This has been a nightmare from the get-go. Meanwhile, we don't know really how to service the spa, and how to set it to separate things. And now, Sea Court Pools said that if we want them to come out, it would cost us an additional $150.

Pretty much everything that was told to us was a lie. We just got the bill and it seems that they're charging us interest. It's supposed to be interest-free for one year. Payments were only supposed to be like $35, but we wanted to pay it off within that year so we were sending payments of $200 and $300 and they were adding that $35 to that $200, $300 in separate payments. So, now it's like a year's worth already and we just got the hot tub. We don't even know if it's safe to get into the tub because we don't even know if the chemicals are right in it. I was never given any information about how to put the chemical in it. So, we spent like $4,000 on something we've never even been in. It's just disgusting. Our experience with Cal Spas was great, but they should be more selective on who they let sell their product to see who's discharging their products.

Cal Spas

Cal Spas is so happy that you and your family have been enjoying your hot tub! Make this month the best time for relaxing in style with your loved ones! Enjoy living the Cal Spas lifestyle!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

Cal Spas seemed to have good reviews online and a reputable outfit. The salespeople were knowledgeable as well and so we went with them. The installation was very easy. I met with the team all the way through the process. There were a couple of items related to how to get it running properly and stuff that wasn’t a big deal. We took a little bit time, we can’t figure them out but they were responsive as we’re trying to figure these things out. It’s been really positive. It’s a great family gathering spot for us and definitely relaxing. It’s a great place to have conversations and connect with people. We’re just really happy and it’s been a great addition for our family.

Cal Spas

Hi Grant! We're so happy you decided to try a Cal Spas hot tub! We know it will make you happy for many years to come! Enjoy your week!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

I have a relative who has a Cal Spa and we got ours in October. We had an old tub for 10 years but we wanted to try something different and Cal Spa has different features. We use it frequently and we've been enjoying it.

Cal Spas

Hi Chad! We're glad that you enjoy your spa! It sounds like it was a challenge to put it up on a slope but we're glad it is now a great addition to your cabin! Have a great week!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2017

The installation was very difficult because the space for the spa was up in a cabin and on a slope but the guys were really good. They were very accommodating and got it all the way up there. Everyone’s very friendly. My wife helped them because we tied the spa to the back of one of my cars and dragged it up.

Cal Spas

Hi Jeff! We're glad you bought it too! Cal Spas loves making our customers happy! Have an awesome week!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

We were more familiar with Hot Springs and we were planning to get them but we were impressed with Cal Spas. We went with Cal Spas instead and they came out and did the training session. We got a newer model and it has everything that we wanted. We liked the jet combination, the seating combination, and the color combination. We got it in the fall and it’s cold here now but we’ve been using it consistently - at least once or twice a week. It’s nice to get out there and relax later in the evening. I have young children who have been in there a couple of times and they love it, too. The installation team was also good. It was a challenge to get the hot tub in place but they managed to. Hopefully we won’t have any trouble with it. We’re happy with it and glad we bought it. It works out pretty well.

Cal Spas

Not only is the tub great but so are you Jarod! Enjoy your Cal Spas! Customers like you are why we do what we do!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

We had a hot tub at our old house but the one that we got from Cal Spas is much nicer though it cost us $14,000. The installation was fine. They came out and took care of everything. They did a pre-training which was great and we just went from there. Everything was good. The tub is pretty easy to operate though I don't know how efficient it is because my wife pays the bills. But the tub has been great and I have no complaints.

Cal Spas

Hi Trevor! We're glad you are enjoying your spa and had a great experience so far! We know that once your motherboard issues are solved that you can enjoy it for many years to come! Have a great week!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

I did some research and looked at different spas. We then purchased two spas from the Secard Pools which is a local company of Cal Spas and we're using them in our vacation rental home. Tthe installation was a breeze and Secard really took care of everything. It was definitely a seamless experience and it helped my vacation rental. Now one of my spas was having an issue with the motherboard. It's going haywire a little bit and Secard is gonna be sending out a tech this upcoming Wednesday for it. Overall, they're above average.

Cal Spas

Hi Adam. We are so very sorry your experience so far has been hit or miss. We work hard to satisfy our customers and give them an amazing home resort experience like no other. Please know that you have our support and best wishes. We know you will enjoy your spa for years to come.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

Having Cal Spas gives a nice place to connect on a regular basis and have some conversation that we may not otherwise slow down enough to engage in. It's also very relaxing. There are two Cal Spas team in our area and I’ve called them a few times and they've been decent but it’s a hit or a miss. It depends on who I talk to and it’s like if I reach the right groups of people, some of them are very helpful, knowledgeable, and they follow up nicely and stay on top of things. But others, not so much. The installation was great and was set up quickly. They were nice, friendly and very competent and capable. We also got one of those ChlorMakers which was sold to us as an add-on. One of our sons has a skin condition and that's one reason why we wanted to get a salt-based hot tub but we're not real impressed with ChlorMakers so far. It's been a hiccup for the experience.

Cal Spas

Hello Stephen! We are so sorry that this happened. We work to make sure every customer has a pleasant experience. Thank you for your feedback. We look forward to resolving your issues.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

We've been told that Cal-Spas is a good company and that the model hot tub we chose is top of the line. That being said, we've had the hot tub for less than 1 year and already have replaced the heating unit, both jet pumps (separate occurrences), had a leak occur at the jets and now are being told the circulating pump for the hot/heated water needs replacing. Between waiting for service and the parts, it's been out of commission for more time than it was usable. Needless to say, we are extremely dissatisfied with the product and wouldn't recommend this company.

Cal Spas

Hi Don! We are so happy to hear that you are enjoying the amazing quality that only a Cal Spas hot tub can provide! Please make sure you take time this week and weekend to have a special spa session to relax and unwind!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2017

I knew about Cal Spas over the years and I liked their price. My experience with their sales rep and the quality of their product that I got were both fine.

Cal Spas

Hello Bruce! We are very sorry you haven’t had the best experience. At Cal Spas, we strive to make sure everyone enjoys their home resort experience. We will work harder to make sure customers like you are completely happy. Please enjoy your spa for many years to come and enjoy living the Cal Spas lifestyle.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

Cal Spas make quality products and they're satisfactory. I had looked at some other hot tubs and I liked the Cal Spas line. They are decent. One can get them with a lot of bells and whistles but mine's basic and that's all I wanted. I got my first tub in 1999 and the only bad experience I've had with it was I replaced the pump twice on it. The second time that I had to replace the pump, the tech had to come back and redo it because they put rebuilt pumps in. He had to do a little bit of re-rigging to get the pump to fit right in. They just rewired the old one and rewind the bushings, etc and it still was louder than a new pump and I didn't like that. If I would have known, I would have put in a new pump which would have been a bit quieter. Since the old tub was sixteen years old I just replaced it so I got the new one.

When I bought the new tub, their guy said it was exactly the same size as my old tub so the new one should have just fit right where the old one was built in without any problems. But it wasn't the case. It was a tad larger than the old one so what he said wasn't true. Also, the new hot tub package came with a new insulated cover. I said I didn't need it since I already have one from the old tub but the rep said he'll give me a couple of hundred dollars off. I've replaced the cover on the old one twice so I knew they run $400 to $500. If I would have realized that I would have said, "Deliver me the new cover and I'll put it in storage until I need it." But they offered to come out and show me how to set up the tub for free. There were a little more electronics on the new one and it's all digital. They gotta program it and their rep did that for me. I got the the start-up chemical stuff but I spent another few hundred dollars getting some other chemicals and another filter.

If I ever have to replace a pump, I wish they'd have the original equipment so I could do it myself. If they sold me a new pump and it just fit right in there and all I had to do was plumb it up, it wouldn't be a big problem. Replacing a pump's not that big of a deal. But they don't do that. They sell refurbed pumps and I'm a little disappointed in that. But the new one which I run year-round should go seven years or better before I have to think about a pump.

Cal Spas

Hi Craig! That's great to hear! We love knowing you enjoy your spa! Be sure to have a blast with it every chance you get! Enjoy the Cal Spas lifestyle!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2017

I've had my hot tub from Cal Spas since this fall. It was mostly the price that made me went with them. It was very good with the sales rep, too. We put water in the tub and it's been heating all winter. It used very little chlorine at first. It's at a lake home, so we don't go out there very often, but I try and check on it once a week and so far, it's been very good.

Cal Spas Company Profile