It's that easy Request Information
4.54/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

With over 35 years of experience, Cal Spas is a provider of luxury spas and accessories. We pride ourselves in being a top Global Manufacturer of Home Resort Products.

Innovation and technological advancements are top priorities when crafting Cal Spas products. Built with more standard features and designer appeal, our products are a great addition to any outdoor space.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

694 Cal Spas Consumer Reviews

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

We have a very limited space that we could use to put the spa in, and Cal Spas was the only one that I found that made a triangular spa. Nothing else would have worked because of the corner we have in our pool area. The reps from Cal Spas were very helpful and we had great interactions with them. We were moving to a new home and we couldn’t take delivery for a few months until we were actually in the house and they were kind of enough to store the spa for us until we were ready for it. The installation went quickly. I thought the installers were gonna wire it in for me, but they said they weren’t electricians, and they weren’t gonna do it so I had to do it. They may wanna let the customer know ahead of time about that. Their competitor came up and the guy wired it up for me.

On our other house, we owned a United Spas and it was a great one. The Cal Spas won't completely drain and I have to bail water out of it because the drain is above the lowest part of the spa. It creates a little bit of a hassle. It's also very hard to get on this spa. I have to remove the whole panel, and it's heavy and cumbersome. United Spas had a much smaller door that I can get in and purge the pumps, if I had to, from air. It was easy to get to, put on and take off. Still, I'm very happy with Cal Spas. I use the spa more in the winter than I do in summer. Last night, I used it and it worked great.

Get expert buying tips about Hot Tubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I was looking at all the different hot tub manufacturers and I did some research on the internet. Cal Spas is a larger company and if I had any issues with my spa, I wanted someone to be there in the future, to be able to fix my problems so I went with them. I got the Escape spa and I've been using it for a year now. I like the size of the hot tub, how many jets there were and how large of a company Cal Spas is. The installation experience was good. Their reps were professional and knew what they were doing. In the past, I have had problems trying to get a hold of somebody in there and that’s the only issue.

Overall, it was a good experience. But the one issue I had with Cal Spas is trying to figure out how to use my computer on the spa, how to make it where it can be on for four or six hours at this period, and six hours at another period. That was the hardest part about having the spa. I complained about it and nobody went out of their way to help me out. Nobody came over and told me how to do it. That was my biggest beef with this whole thing. Nevertheless, Cal Spas hot tub has made my life more enjoyable. I’m a driver for a living. So after driving all day, it sure feels nice to come home and relax in my hot tub. In the colder weather, I’m not utilizing it that much. Otherwise, I usually use it everyday. It’s got a lot of jets, waterfall and lighting. It’s the largest hot tub they sell. It’s a foot larger than the rest.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

We were looking for a tub with eight or 10 person seating capacity. We got Cal Spas because of the price point and it got what we wanted. We went to two other ones in the Metro, and Cal Spas also appeared to have the best customer service. They were really easy to work with from a negotiation perspective. When one of our jets broke on the hot tub, they gave us a new one to put in. They didn’t charge us. They just asked us when did we buy the tub. We gave them a date and they gave us what was needed. They’ve been helpful. And during the sales, it wasn’t like a sales environment where they were pushing you to purchase it. It was more of a conversation of what you were looking for.

The installation was good. The installers came and did it all. I was just a little annoyed that when we purchased the tub, they only told us the width, not the height requirement type of thing, and there shouldn’t be any problems to get it through the fence door. But when they came, the tub had to go under our garage and we had to cut a panel out of our fence. It was our own problem to figure it out though. Overall, it was a fine experience. We use the tub two or three times a week and it helps with my shoulder soreness. The jets seemed of good quality too.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I've seen Cal Spas several times at our state fair, and the people who I talk to that have Cal Spas are usually really happy with them. We ordered the hot tub at the fair and then Cal Spas custom-made it and they brought it in. I love the tub and I use it just about everyday. This is our first hot tub at home, and it's 90 feet by 93. It has a Minnesota winterized package on it because we get really cold during the winter. It has two 240-volt pumps, which are the higher-end pumps.

The hot tub makes my legs and knees feel a heck of a lot better, and the family enjoys it. My wife can come home and sit in her own spa as opposed to one at the club. It has good points and bad points. The bad point being that I have to watch the chemicals in it a lot. It's not really hard for me to do, but I make sure I do check it every couple of days because it's gonna be hard for me to change the water out if it gets very alkalined or the cyanuric acid builds up.

The Cal Spas team was really good. I am having a little bit of a problem right now with a couple of things that got screwed up in the order. I was supposed to have a removal bar and they brought the L-shaped bar, which actually worked to my benefit. But I still haven't got them to come down and put on the brackets for the cover. I've called a couple of times and they said they'll have their service guy call and I've never gotten a phone call. I can slip the top off right now, so I'm using it.

The jacuzzi is on the south side of my house and there are windows there. With the sunlight hitting those windows and refracting back down into the jacuzzi area, the sunlight is warping the panels on the side of the jacuzzi. So I'm gonna have Cal Spas look at it. But from the standpoint of the jacuzzi running and the jets, I love it. I ordered my chemicals from Cal Spas online and they came within 3 days or 2 days tops. So, I was really happy that they came so fast. I would recommend them.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I wanted a smaller size spa than I had before and I wanted the lounge thing. When we looked around the whole showroom of the Secard pool store in the area, the Cal Spa that we purchased was the one size and everything I wanted. It's very pretty and it's much easier to maintain than my other one. My other one was mineral and this one is chlorine. However, I'm disappointed in the strength of the jets. I bought the plug and play one but my other one was almost that strong when I had all of them opened and when I switched to just the one I was sitting in. It was almost too strong and it was really good, while the jets of the Cal Spa are not as strong as I expected, but it's acceptable to me.

I was also disappointed with the installation because the people that installed it didn’t know anything about the spa. They asked me which way I wanted to turn it and I said that the step should be where you have the button. It turned out that the side that has the area to grab to get in and the nonskid flooring part ended up against the wall of my house. I barely got someone to come over and turn it for me. They also told me to dump so much chlorine in. I looked at the directions and they had me put way too much chlorine in. I went to the store and complained. The rep there said that the installers don’t know anything and that they just deliver the spa. I told them that I was really disappointed with the service.

Also, there are cup holders over at the lounge chair where I put my feet and not over on the other side. There's an area where I can put my cup, but the actual cup holder is where I'm not even sitting. I miss it though. I've emptied it to get it moved and I haven't had it for a month or so. Nonetheless, I'm happy with my Cal Spa. It totally impacts my life and I enjoyed the relaxation in the evenings before I go to bed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cal Spas?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

We had another Cal Spas tub for 12 years, but the motors weren’t working great and a lot of the stuff was getting outdated. Plus, it was hard to get a part. We decided to update and we went with Cal Spas because we seem to have good service from Cal Spas in Plymouth. We order our chemicals from them and if you order over $100, you don't have to pay shipping. Plus, they have usually been good to come if we needed them.

We bought a nine-seater hot tub and it has the waterfall and many jets. Their team was good. We had a good experience except they didn't finish positioning the hot tub on the patio. The hot tub was very heavy so it was very hard for me and my husband. We had to make some rollers and get that done. The first time, they positioned it, filled it, and made sure everything worked, but they didn't do that this time. And even though we had the electrical inspected properly before, we had to have it done again and they had to wait until we had that done. The hot tub is very easy to use though. The controls are very easy and the tub stays clean. We filled it in April and our water is still very clean. Also, the heat up and cool off is really nice.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

We were walking by Cal Spas at a home and garden show. We liked the price. And also, I've known about the brand for years. The hot tub that we got is nice. I wished Cal Spas installed them too. The guy who delivered it was another contractor that Cal Spas has. He just came in, dropped it off and said, "There you go," and left. I'd recommend Cal Spas.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

I don't write reviews too often, but in the case of our $13,000+ Cal Spas EC-867B hot tub I purchased in May 2019 a review is warranted. First off I like to buy American when I can and it was a big selling point for me pitched by the sales rep at Dreamstyle Remodeling as in my experience American made products tend to be better... however this has not been the experience I've had with my Cal Spas hot tub. In the 2.5 months that I have owned this patio ornament it has been unusable (or partly usable if you don't mind flooding your patio and filling it up daily.... As an extra bonus a high water bill will follow at the end of the month as well).

We have had 3 different significant leaks over this period (I swear its like Wack-a-mole), a broken diverter valve, and speakers that stop working that have been repaired/replaced also 3 different times. Concerning our most recent leak the a repair tech was sent out by Dreamstyle a full week after reporting the leak and the tech found that he was unable to fix it, had to order new parts, and will have to completely drain the tub and either lift it or flip it on its side...here comes that water bill again. In fact, the tech's actual suggestion was to see if we could return it and swap it out for a new one. Additionally, due to the hot weather and near constant leaks the inside cabinet is starting to get slimy and gross.

We contacted Dreamstyle as to our desire for a replacement tub and they said that the decision had to come from Cal Spas and that they only sell the tubs and service them. So once again, my family is going through another week and weekend unable to use our hot tub, paying a ridiculously high amount for a water bill, having to get new chemicals, and paying a car-payment size hot tub bill for what's amounted to little more than an overpriced decoration. Bottom Line: If you want a near constant headache, pay a huge sum of money for a low quality product, and have your utilities sky rocket buy a Cal Spas hot tub. If the previous suggestion sounds unpleasant (trust me it is) then buy another brand.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

Having our Cal Spas tub installed was a little hectic because it had to go into a tight spot. Still, their installers got it in okay and everything seemed to be perfect thereafter. However, we had trouble with the chemicals they gave us to keep it with the right everything. So, we went with Baquacil instead. Even so, we love the jets because we both have arthritis and they help with our physical well-being.

Original review: July 30, 2019

Cal Spas' service and our hot tub have been awesome. We love them. We made our purchase with Cal Spas due to their reputation and we have friends that have the same brand. We had seen some other brands before, so we kinda knew what we were looking for. But Cal Spas was able to help us narrow it down. The installers as well as our installation experience were good. We had everything wide open for them. So, we had it set up well. We absolutely love being in our hot tub. We bought a different top for it. It's a special aftermarket top that we got from Cal Spas. It raises up and down. That is the bomb. So, if I would recommend that to anybody, it's worth the money. That is so nice to have.

Cal Spas expert review by Kate Williams, Ph.D.

Founded in 1979, this company is an innovator in the hot tub business, holding 28 trademarks and 48 design patents. This company offers a wide variety of patio hot tubs, in-ground hot tubs and Swim Pro swim spas.

• Fountain of Youth™: This trademarked product uses micro-bubbles to increase oxygen levels in the water. Cal Spa states that this hydrotherapy rejuvenates the body and skin.

• Trade in value: Trade in an old hot tub and get money toward a brand new Cal Spas hot tub or swim spa. Use the web form to obtain a free, no-obligation trade-in estimate.

• Exclusive offers: By signing up for the Cal Spas newsletter on the website, consumers gain access to exclusive offers.

• Cal Spas blog: The Cal Spas blog offers advice on hot tub and swim spa ownership and repair, as well as a variety of health-related topics.

• Customer support: Cal Spas offers customer support via phone or email or by using their contact form online.

• Best for: Consumers needing therapy, consumers wanting relaxation and consumers needing exercise.

Profile picture of Kate Williams, Ph.D.
Kate Williams, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kate Williams, Ph.D. believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase. She spends countless hours researching companies and industries before writing buyers guides to make sure consumers have all the information they need to make smart, informed buying decisions.

Cal Spas Company Information