It's that easy Request Information
4.57/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

With over 35 years of experience, Cal Spas is a provider of luxury spas and accessories. We pride ourselves in being a top Global Manufacturer of Home Resort Products.

Innovation and technological advancements are top priorities when crafting Cal Spas products. Built with more standard features and designer appeal, our products are a great addition to any outdoor space.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

678 Cal Spas Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

We have a very limited space that we could use to put the spa in, and Cal Spas was the only one that I found that made a triangular spa. Nothing else would have worked because of the corner we have in our pool area. The reps from Cal Spas were very helpful and we had great interactions with them. We were moving to a new home and we couldn’t take delivery for a few months until we were actually in the house and they were kind of enough to store the spa for us until we were ready for it. The installation went quickly. I thought the installers were gonna wire it in for me, but they said they weren’t electricians, and they weren’t gonna do it so I had to do it. They may wanna let the customer know ahead of time about that. Their competitor came up and the guy wired it up for me.

On our other house, we owned a United Spas and it was a great one. The Cal Spas won't completely drain and I have to bail water out of it because the drain is above the lowest part of the spa. It creates a little bit of a hassle. It's also very hard to get on this spa. I have to remove the whole panel, and it's heavy and cumbersome. United Spas had a much smaller door that I can get in and purge the pumps, if I had to, from air. It was easy to get to, put on and take off. Still, I'm very happy with Cal Spas. I use the spa more in the winter than I do in summer. Last night, I used it and it worked great.

Get expert buying tips about Hot Tubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I was looking at all the different hot tub manufacturers and I did some research on the internet. Cal Spas is a larger company and if I had any issues with my spa, I wanted someone to be there in the future, to be able to fix my problems so I went with them. I got the Escape spa and I've been using it for a year now. I like the size of the hot tub, how many jets there were and how large of a company Cal Spas is. The installation experience was good. Their reps were professional and knew what they were doing. In the past, I have had problems trying to get a hold of somebody in there and that’s the only issue.

Overall, it was a good experience. But the one issue I had with Cal Spas is trying to figure out how to use my computer on the spa, how to make it where it can be on for four or six hours at this period, and six hours at another period. That was the hardest part about having the spa. I complained about it and nobody went out of their way to help me out. Nobody came over and told me how to do it. That was my biggest beef with this whole thing. Nevertheless, Cal Spas hot tub has made my life more enjoyable. I’m a driver for a living. So after driving all day, it sure feels nice to come home and relax in my hot tub. In the colder weather, I’m not utilizing it that much. Otherwise, I usually use it everyday. It’s got a lot of jets, waterfall and lighting. It’s the largest hot tub they sell. It’s a foot larger than the rest.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

We were looking for a tub with eight or 10 person seating capacity. We got Cal Spas because of the price point and it got what we wanted. We went to two other ones in the Metro, and Cal Spas also appeared to have the best customer service. They were really easy to work with from a negotiation perspective. When one of our jets broke on the hot tub, they gave us a new one to put in. They didn’t charge us. They just asked us when did we buy the tub. We gave them a date and they gave us what was needed. They’ve been helpful. And during the sales, it wasn’t like a sales environment where they were pushing you to purchase it. It was more of a conversation of what you were looking for.

The installation was good. The installers came and did it all. I was just a little annoyed that when we purchased the tub, they only told us the width, not the height requirement type of thing, and there shouldn’t be any problems to get it through the fence door. But when they came, the tub had to go under our garage and we had to cut a panel out of our fence. It was our own problem to figure it out though. Overall, it was a fine experience. We use the tub two or three times a week and it helps with my shoulder soreness. The jets seemed of good quality too.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I've seen Cal Spas several times at our state fair, and the people who I talk to that have Cal Spas are usually really happy with them. We ordered the hot tub at the fair and then Cal Spas custom-made it and they brought it in. I love the tub and I use it just about everyday. This is our first hot tub at home, and it's 90 feet by 93. It has a Minnesota winterized package on it because we get really cold during the winter. It has two 240-volt pumps, which are the higher-end pumps.

The hot tub makes my legs and knees feel a heck of a lot better, and the family enjoys it. My wife can come home and sit in her own spa as opposed to one at the club. It has good points and bad points. The bad point being that I have to watch the chemicals in it a lot. It's not really hard for me to do, but I make sure I do check it every couple of days because it's gonna be hard for me to change the water out if it gets very alkalined or the cyanuric acid builds up.

The Cal Spas team was really good. I am having a little bit of a problem right now with a couple of things that got screwed up in the order. I was supposed to have a removal bar and they brought the L-shaped bar, which actually worked to my benefit. But I still haven't got them to come down and put on the brackets for the cover. I've called a couple of times and they said they'll have their service guy call and I've never gotten a phone call. I can slip the top off right now, so I'm using it.

The jacuzzi is on the south side of my house and there are windows there. With the sunlight hitting those windows and refracting back down into the jacuzzi area, the sunlight is warping the panels on the side of the jacuzzi. So I'm gonna have Cal Spas look at it. But from the standpoint of the jacuzzi running and the jets, I love it. I ordered my chemicals from Cal Spas online and they came within 3 days or 2 days tops. So, I was really happy that they came so fast. I would recommend them.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I wanted a smaller size spa than I had before and I wanted the lounge thing. When we looked around the whole showroom of the Secard pool store in the area, the Cal Spa that we purchased was the one size and everything I wanted. It's very pretty and it's much easier to maintain than my other one. My other one was mineral and this one is chlorine. However, I'm disappointed in the strength of the jets. I bought the plug and play one but my other one was almost that strong when I had all of them opened and when I switched to just the one I was sitting in. It was almost too strong and it was really good, while the jets of the Cal Spa are not as strong as I expected, but it's acceptable to me.

I was also disappointed with the installation because the people that installed it didn’t know anything about the spa. They asked me which way I wanted to turn it and I said that the step should be where you have the button. It turned out that the side that has the area to grab to get in and the nonskid flooring part ended up against the wall of my house. I barely got someone to come over and turn it for me. They also told me to dump so much chlorine in. I looked at the directions and they had me put way too much chlorine in. I went to the store and complained. The rep there said that the installers don’t know anything and that they just deliver the spa. I told them that I was really disappointed with the service.

Also, there are cup holders over at the lounge chair where I put my feet and not over on the other side. There's an area where I can put my cup, but the actual cup holder is where I'm not even sitting. I miss it though. I've emptied it to get it moved and I haven't had it for a month or so. Nonetheless, I'm happy with my Cal Spa. It totally impacts my life and I enjoyed the relaxation in the evenings before I go to bed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cal Spas?

Original review: May 14, 2019

Cal Spas' customer service was great. They were the first booth we saw at a fair and we did an impulse buy. A friend of my wife has a Cal Spa, and he said they were good to work with. That was another reason we went with Cal Spas. I've had some questions, and the Cal Spas team helped me out. We bought their product that they had a fair special on. They had a big inventory on them. Our hot tub is sitting on our deck. It's very product-heavy as any spa is, but the products are very expensive. So, it is definitely a costly thing to keep going. So, if the chemicals were more reasonable, I think they’d have more success.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I had a excellent experience with Cal Spas. I got the unit because I have issues with my back and it has helped. We have the waterfall and the light on there. We also have the handrail, the Bluetooth speakers and the gazebo. The installation was also a good experience, although it was kind of a pain because I had to get a crane to pick the unit up over my garage to put it in the backyard. But the rep knew her product and was good. Cal Spas gave me some veteran perks too. Then when I saw the rep the following year and spoke to her, she gave me some information on how to keep my water clean. When I had to call for some repair issues, they were prompt with getting someone out to take care of those issues as well.

Original review: April 30, 2019

We had a great experience working with Don at the Plymouth Mn location. He was very helpful and educated. This helped us decide quickly that we wanted to buy through Cal Spas which has a great product and warranty. Thank you! -** Family-

Original review: April 20, 2019

We like the price and the size of Cal Spas. We wanted something that was large enough to have enough seats in it but enough room to swim and that would fit our footprint in our backyard. We got a swim spa from them and the installation was great. A bunch of guys showed up and they got it off the truck in the backyard and in position. They made it look easy. The spa is really nice and the maintenance is pretty easy too. It has a good filtration system with UV, the light treatment and keeps everything pretty clean. Everything's been working well.

Original review: April 13, 2019

The Cal Spas sales rep at the fair was very convincing. The installation was done well and I like the speaker system in the hot tub and the lighting. The only thing I don’t like about it is it is too deep. I’m 5’2”, and the seating is too deep.

Original review: April 1, 2019

When we first bought the Cal Spas hot tub, the cover on it didn’t do well. The connection was glued on and it was faulty. It lasted about a week, and then it came loose. I called Chris from Cal Spas and they replaced it. There was no problem since then. The hot tub does what we need it to do. We had the retailer do the installation and the experience was good. He was a good guy. We have had the Cal Spas hot tub for several years now and I would recommend them.

Original review: March 15, 2019

We've been using Cal Spas for a year and a half and everything has been great. The installers were professional and they worked quickly. I recommend them.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Great store that literally defines customer service. On a recent purchase, we had an issue that was not Cal's fault, but their team was out the very next day (which happened to be a holiday) and went way above and beyond expectations to the make the situation right. Rare occurrence in today's world where a high ticket vendor actually solves a problem all the way through. Cant say enough about the service we received!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I got a Cal Spas tub a year and a half ago. Their reps were very friendly and they took care of me. Their guys did a great job with the installation, too. They rolled the tub in the backyard, set it up, put it in place exactly where I wanted it and left. My kind of an install. It's a nice spa and it works very well for what we need it for. We've got five people in the house, which means there could be up to eight people in it at one time. Plus, it is a lot simpler system to run. The control panels are a lot less cumbersome than my previous one was.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I liked the spa design and got the Cal Spas Bel Air. It can seat eight to 10 people and it's their all-upright seats. There's no lay flat and I like that. We've had the spa for just a year now and we use it once a week or so. The chemicals took a little bit to get used to but we're there now. The Cal Spas team has been a good resource too. They have been helpful with the chemicals and what to do.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

We inherited a Cal Spas tub from a family friend and we had that for quite a few years. Then we bought our own about a year ago. We went back to Cal Spas for their reputation and their price point, and their team was great to work with. Their level of customer service was very good. The tub that we got is bigger and our family enjoys it. It's an eight-person tub with the foot jets and water foam, and we try to use it at least four times a week.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I've been using Cal Spas since 2009. I have two Cal Spas - a swim spa and a regular spa. The original spa purchase was at California Backyard and the swim spa was at a recent home show. I like the layout of the swim spa that Cal Spas has versus a couple of the other ones that are out there. The installation took about two months and it was good. The reps and I had a lot of messages, emails back and forth with photos and some telephone calls trying to get everything set up 'cause they weren't sure if they could deliver it to our lot. But in the end, they were able to get everything set up and delivered. Now we use the spa quite frequently. It's nice to relax and get a little workout at home and not have to worry about other people being around.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I got a good deal for the therapeutic tub that I bought from Cal Spas. The reps were very cordial and informative. The installers did a good job. They did it quickly and professionally. If I get a sore back, I'll crawl in it to help relieve my back aches. I use it about three times a week, and it helps me relax.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

We saw this Cal Spas hot tub at the state fair and although we also looked at several places, we felt that the Cal Spas one had what we wanted. The installation was an okay experience. They brought it in, explained everything and told me how to set it up. But they didn't set it up for me because it was not full of water yet and they couldn't. But I'm a hands-on person so that was a little frustrating.

That aside, our biggest frustration is the distance and the getting back to us. Our nearest Cal Spas dealer is in the Twin Cities. That's three hours away from where we are. So in hindsight, I'm wishing we could have gone with more of a local company so that it would be easier if we had questions. The problem I have with calling Cal Spas for questions is you always get an answering machine. They have to call you back and sometimes, it takes a day. That’s frustrating. If you have an immediate problem, that’s not so good. Still, we really like the product. We have Kinship Partners which are kids who come and spend time with us and they love the hot tub. We're in it with them about three days a week and they really enjoy it.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

We went to the Minnesota State Fair when we did our purchase for our Cal Spas hot tub. With them, there’s gonna be local service and they have a good reputation. The installation went very well and I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I purchased a six-seater therapeutic tub with 50 plus jets, and I've been using it for over a year now. When it was installed, the installers showed up as expected. They gave me good direction and everything was perfect. When I had to contact customer service early on in getting the chemical balance right, I contacted the Cal Spas in Plymouth, Minnesota and they guided me right through what I needed. They answered the questions I had in terms of quantity and what I was seeing with the water I have. I love my experience and would definitely recommend Cal Spas. With it, my body feels better. I also continue to be more flexible, and I have fewer aches and pains.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

We've had the basic six-person Cal spa for a year and it sits outside. It has 20-some jets and it's been really good for relaxation. Everything went great during its installation.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

We first heard about Cal Spas through the state fair, and we decided to get one since we owned a spa in the past. It fits six people and there are a number of jets from the installation. I use it five times a week and it's therapeutic.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Cal Spas had a good price and the package deal was really nice. They have the ability to look up the model number and know exactly what I needed. We got the 7x7 model and they did a great job setting it up, getting it in place, and then letting us know about the treatment and what to do with it. We enjoy having it on our deck. It’s nice to have something you can go out to at night just to blow off steam at the end of the day. It’s very relaxing.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I replaced a spa and went with Cal Spas. Dealing with their customer service was pleasant and easy. I literally pulled up the freeway, walked-in and made a deal. The hot tub had to go in an existing hole in the ground, so Cal Spas connected me with a carpenter that came. The crew dropped it off, and another carpenter finished the rest of the install. The product is beautiful and it’s working. I’m happy now that I have it and the experience is going great.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

We liked the deepness of the Cal Spas hot tub and decided on getting the product. Cal Spas' sales guys were great and we dealt with a nice, helpful guy. After they put the tub in the spot, I had my electrician come out to do the rest, and the install went perfect. The tub is a nice part of our life now and I love it. My wife uses it daily and I use it a couple of times a week, too. We like having it. Cal Spas is one of the better spas, and I'd tell my friends to get one.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

We were pretty straightforward when we bought from Cal Spas. We had hot tub for over 15 years, so we really knew what we wanted. So we just went in there, told them what we wanted, and to give us their best price and to deliver hot tub. We did the transaction under 30 minutes flat. Their team pulled the old tub out and dropped the new one in, and I wired it all up. It was a hard installation, so I had to go up there and help them get it up the hill, but other than that, it was all fine. I’ve recommended Cal Spas to one of my friends, and then he bought a tub three months later.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

We bought a hot tub from Cal Spas in 2017. We lived up in the desert and there were not too many choices available up there, that was why we went with them. We got the one with a four-person seating, the jets, and the lights. It had a cover on it with a bar that assists you to lift the tub. We had someone come out and install the tub for us. But I had the electrical done myself. We also had a friend of ours do it for us because one complaint I would have about Cal Spas is that they don’t do any electrical work. Even so, the installers were professional, fast and we didn’t have to clean up after them, which is always a plus. It was a good experience. We didn’t have any problems.

We moved away from the house so we don't have the tub anymore, but I loved having it. It was great. The kids also liked it when they came over. We had a barbecue out there and it was nice. I would tell others that Cal Spas was easy to work with and they have a good selection. I would also tell them that the people from Cal Spas helped us pick out the tub.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I live in Southern California and Cal Spas was everywhere. It’s a name we’re familiar with and my husband selected it. We bought a 2017 Patio spa. It says 735B Cal Gazebo. The installation was fine and the people who came were on time and professional. They set everything up for us.The salesperson was great at first, then it just went downhill. We bought it at the fair in September and I was approved for credit. Then, I received a letter in the mail what the monthly payments are. We discussed at the fair that there would be no interest for the first six months so we got it.

When we were already setting up the delivery, the salesperson said that my application didn’t go through. So, I said I didn’t want the spa. Then he said he hasn’t really checked. I said it was okay. It was not meant to be. He said he had my social right there, he put it in and that everything was taken care of. I said I told him that I didn’t want the spa anymore and he said they had already set up the delivery date. I called back and complained to somebody about it. He did it under a wrong name so I said it was fine and told him to forget it. But he must have submitted my application again and it went through the second time. It was weird to me too, like, they have lost it, and they still wanted to make the delivery. It wasn’t even saying anything in my credit either. I have a credit report, like a monitoring and it didn’t even show up. Still, it was delivered. They must have lost my paperwork.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

We had a hot tub that was aging, it was over 10 years old, and we knew it was getting close to the time to replace it. So, we popped in Cal Spas' display at the state fair in Minnesota. There was a sales representative there that noticed us, introduced themselves and asked us if we had any questions. We began to discuss our situation with them and made the decision to purchase. Their installation team showed up at the appropriate time. I had removed the old hot tub from behind the house and had it sitting on the cement slab in front of our house when they got there. They were equipped with their dollies to take the new hot tub and bring it into the backyard. They put it on the slab where I had prepared a spot for it and installed the cover. They removed the old hot tub from the front yard, made sure everything was okay and they left like they said they would. I was happy.

It has been a year now. Last September, we visited the Cal Spas exhibit at the state fair again. We were hoping to let somebody know how happy we were with our purchase. We stood around for a while, hoping someone would come to talk to us. But we were ignored, so we left. Some friend of ours also went to the state fair this year and visited the Cal Spas exhibit there. They also had the same experience and didn't seem to get anybody's attention. They ended up going down to the jacuzzi exhibit and purchased a jacuzzi hot tub.

Within two months of us owning it, a PVC fitting at the base of where the filter was attached in the filter compartment came loose. It just separated from the hot tub and the filter came forward into the surface. We called Cal Spas and they seem to be aware of this issue, almost like it was a common thing. They sent me a part which I installed. We paid almost twice as much for it than we did for our previous hot tub, which we had running for 10 years straight. It was on 24/7, 365 days a year and we had absolutely no problems with it, with the exception of the bearings going bad, which is a normal thing, and a couple of jets loosening up and not staying in.

When the screw fitting on the base of the filter separated, we had to replace two filters which were extremely expensive. They are 80 bucks a piece, where I'm just used to spending in the lower 30s for the old hot tub. Cal Spas replaced one filter for me though when I went to the store and complained about it. I like the spa and it seems to be a quality tub, but I don't have the brand loyalty with Cal Spas that I thought I would develop.

Cal Spas expert review by Kate Williams, Ph.D.

Founded in 1979, this company is an innovator in the hot tub business, holding 28 trademarks and 48 design patents. This company offers a wide variety of patio hot tubs, in-ground hot tubs and Swim Pro swim spas.

• Fountain of Youth™: This trademarked product uses micro-bubbles to increase oxygen levels in the water. Cal Spa states that this hydrotherapy rejuvenates the body and skin.

• Trade in value: Trade in an old hot tub and get money toward a brand new Cal Spas hot tub or swim spa. Use the web form to obtain a free, no-obligation trade-in estimate.

• Exclusive offers: By signing up for the Cal Spas newsletter on the website, consumers gain access to exclusive offers.

• Cal Spas blog: The Cal Spas blog offers advice on hot tub and swim spa ownership and repair, as well as a variety of health-related topics.

• Customer support: Cal Spas offers customer support via phone or email or by using their contact form online.

• Best for: Consumers needing therapy, consumers wanting relaxation and consumers needing exercise.

Profile picture of Kate Williams, Ph.D.
Kate Williams, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kate Williams, Ph.D. believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase. She spends countless hours researching companies and industries before writing buyers guides to make sure consumers have all the information they need to make smart, informed buying decisions.

Cal Spas Company Information