It's that easy Request Information
4.25/5
Based on 118 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

With over 35 years of experience, Cal Spas is a provider of luxury spas and accessories. We pride ourselves in being a top Global Manufacturer of Home Resort Products.

Innovation and technological advancements are top priorities when crafting Cal Spas products. Built with more standard features and designer appeal, our products are a great addition to any outdoor space.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

633 Cal Spas Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I went to the California state fair in 1986 and came home with a Cal Spa. 9 months later moved to VA. My wife and I wore that thing out. After 7 years had to replace the pump cause the impeller shaft rusted out and it leaked water. Then 3 years later I was told to stay out of it if wanted kids as I was killing off all my soldiers in that 103 degree tub. Gave it to my brother in law who used it for another 5 years. I am now looking to purchase another Cal Spa. I see that the Home Depot sells a spa built by Cal Spas. The hunt is on. Soldiers are no longer needed nor wanted.

Get expert buying tips about Hot Tubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Cal Spas was recommended to me by a friend and after seeing them at a state fair last year, I got the six-seater hot tub. It's sitting on the patio and I use it for relaxation. The Cal Spas folks delivered and set it in place for me then I had an electrician connect it for me. I also sometimes drive over to Cal Spas to buy my chemicals and the team has been friendly and very knowledgeable.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

A friend told us about Cal Spas. We felt that their spa was a lot sturdier and more heavy-duty built than the others. Their reps were also very nice and they were able to answer the questions we had. We bought a patio spa, they delivered it to us, and we installed it ourselves because we had to pay $500 to have it hooked up and that was a bit expensive. We've had the spa for six months now and we're enjoying it. We use it every day and the kids love it.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I saw Cal Spas at the state fair. Since they have a local retail outlet that was very close to me, I got our hot tub from them. The installation was fine. However, they referred an electrician who came out and unfortunately, I had some electrical problems afterwards that I had the Cal Spas distributor come back. They said the electrician did the wrong job wherein the electrical was installed improperly and I had to get new electronic parts. They also said that it wouldn't be covered by Cal Spas warranty and so I was disappointed.

The people who came back to fix the tub were doofuses. They said they didn't work for Cal Spas and they were a separate company yet it said Cal Spas on the van. I also told them that they were the ones who referred me this electrician and they were saying he did it wrong and so now, I've gotta pay a big bill to replace all these electronics. They said they refer people all the time and that doesn't mean anything. The whole thing was negative and I was unimpressed. They were not really eager to find a solution and just said what it would cost for the part to get replaced. But since I wanted to get the tub back up and running, they replaced the part. Other than that, I'm glad I have the tub. I use it once a week and my family uses about that often.

Original review: July 16, 2018

We've had our Cal Spas for a year now. I like the product and the quality is really good. Their reps have the highest level of knowledge as well.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cal Spas?

Original review: July 13, 2018

I love my Cal Spas spa. It's great and has a particular design that I like. Plus, I had a good installation experience. It was interesting since they had to bring a crane put the spa in. It has been with me for one year. Having it is really good and using it is relaxing. I have another Cal Spas product, a swim type style, that I've had for three years. I have an issue with the Bluetooth but I can’t get a hold of anybody. I think they might have closed down one of the stores where I had gotten my Cal Spas from. But they provide great customer service overall.

Original review: July 12, 2018

We bought a Cal Spa nearly 4 years ago for $14,000 and the main selling point was the lovely LED lights, and have had to have it fixed on two occasions. Both times were under warranty but the last problem was caused by the main light according to the technician that repair the main power board. "Common problem with the main light" he stated. We discussed this with the Cal Spas representative here in Adelaide, South Australia, Australia and was sent another main light to discover that it is the completely incorrect. My husband managed to take out the blown light and we started seeking a replacement. Emailed Cal Spas and was first told that the model wasn't a Cal spa and they couldn't help us.

We resent the email with pictures. They then sent us a link to the online ordering and we were offered the incorrect light. We then sent another email stating that the light was the wrong one and included in the email the item number of the light and the Model number of the spa for a third time. We finally got a link to the correct main light and was directed to the online ordering process. Can’t post to Australia from USA so we're unable to use the online ordering process. Another email was sent stating the problem and was told that they would order it on our behalf and wanted a contact phone number. Provided the information.

Received a return email stating that the part had been ordered but on the address for postage was our correct postal address except the country was USA. I sent another email, by this time I was quite frustrated, and was told that the part was no longer available. So at the end of the day, we have no lights on the spa and haven't solved anything. We are unable to locate a main light for the spa and no one at Cal Spas is able to assists us at all. Very disillusioned by the service offered to us. Anybody have an ideas???

Original review: July 11, 2018

We had known someone else who has Cal Spas and we liked their quality. The interaction with their rep was good and if we had questions, they were answered. Everything about their product has been good as well, and it's working the way it’s supposed to. We have used the Cal Spas hot tub for about a year now. The tub has been used for relaxation more than anything else and I like the location of the jets and the aura that the tub provides.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I’m a builder and I’ve been buying Cal Spas for 15 years now. My experience in dealing with their team has been excellent and I've also had an excellent experience in installing the hot tubs. I would highly recommend them.

Original review: May 29, 2018

We just looked at Cal Spas in a showroom and then we bought one spa from them last summer. The delivery guys were great and the quality of the spa is good. However, I've sent them two emails in the last month for a service request and I have not got a response yet.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I saw an advertisement on television for the Cal Spas sale that weekend and I ended up purchasing the large model. It's been a year since I got it and so far I love my product. I’m happy with the service too.

Original review: May 25, 2018

We wanted a larger spa. We researched different spa companies and went to Cal Spas in the end. The interaction with their reps was pretty quick and the installation went fine. The only thing we didn't realize was how much maintenance there would be. We thought we'd be able to higher the floor spa for it but we couldn't. There was a lot more than we expected a little less way. We'd be less likely to recommend above ground spa but as far as Cal Spas, we would recommend it if somebody wanted one.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: May 23, 2018

Years ago, we went to a Cal Spas store and bought a spa that we didn't have a problem with. It's a smaller one we had it in our home in Southern California. I bought another one which is big and it cost me about $1,200. There was a store that sold Cal Spas not far from where I live. The spa installation was all right but it cost quite a bit. I had to have a crane pick it, take it over the roof of my house and put it down. I then had to have an electrician come and makes changes.

But the salesman ordered the wrong cover for it when it came out to the house so he had to get another smaller cover. And since I paid more, they offered me the pool you use to exercise inside. I took that but they didn't offer to bring it to my house so we just recently picked it up. We're getting ready to install it but something happened. The latch of the spa is totally broken and the spa is starting to rust a little. The salesman said they would bring the latch and install a new one on the 22nd so I can't use the spa until then.

Also, the salesman had never been particularly helpful but he was responding to this mostly. But after I called and told him that I received a call, they were replacing the product. But nobody could tell how the latch could have been broken in this new spa. I am very dissatisfied. If they give some responses and somebody could determine what happened and how this would never happen again, that would be good. But so far, I certainly haven’t gotten my money’s worth out of my spa yet. I was injured and I’m still hurting. I am recovering and the warm water would help. I got the spa because I thought it could be some sort of convenience.

Original review: May 22, 2018

We have seen Cal Spas at the Minnesota State Fair over a year ago. We liked the idea of having a hot tub, and we got ours in September of last year. The experience is mediocre though. The guy who sold it to me told me that I could put it on gravel. But then, the store here locally said, "No, you can't." And so, I put down a sand base. They told me they would supply a free pad. But, when they delivered the hot tub, there was no pad. Also, the installer said it was fine to go on the sand, so they put in on the sand and left. And it was not leveled. The hot tub went down. They said that was good enough. They were in a rush. It was raining, so I got that they did not wanna be there. That was a pretty miserable day. Then, I did not interact with the store anymore because they cannot supply the pad.

Nevertheless, we enjoy the tub a lot every day. Just make sure you are there during delivery to make sure everything gets done correctly. Otherwise, everything works great and as it should. The unit itself is great, but the interaction with the sales technician at the state fair down to delivery was not a great experience.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I've used ConsumerAffairs and checked out some other spas. But Cal Spas was local to me within 15-20 miles so it made it a little easier to go see what they were all about rather than drive 50 miles to go visit another manufacturer. I decided to get a Cal Spas tub because of the number of the jets and the fact that it's 36 inches deep. It was big enough for me to sit in because I'm not a small guy. The installation part of it was okay. Deciding to buy the spa and writing up the contract was okay. But it was the interactions afterwards that I wasn't too happy about. The guy that said he would be available wasn't. The only time I could get a hold of him was through email and that would be three or four days or a week later.

Cal Spas tub seems to work okay as far as the jets and the pumps and all that. But it's expensive to run. It's got two 6 horsepower pumps in it, which seem to work. But it doubles or triples my electric bill. So what benefit am I getting from it if I can't afford to run it? I spent $8000 and it doesn't do me any good. The spa was a little expensive. But I like nicer things so I bought it anyway. I also bought it for medical reasons because I have a back issue and a knee issue and I was trying to get some kind of a water therapy for my back. The first few months was fun. It worked all right. But it's not giving me any benefit now. It's just sitting there. I've also thought about selling it and it's not even a year old. Plus I also could never get the chemicals right in it, which isn't really their fault.

Original review: May 20, 2018

We knew about Cal Spas through my wife's family and we bought our first tub when they were offering deals during the Minnesota State Fair. The rep was great. We would ask him the right questions and he answered them. They did a good job in the installation. When I got home from work, my wife said it was ready to go. The hot tub is great. It's more for my wife but my kids are enjoying it as well. I like that we can spend more time outside in the winter. When it's cold you don't hang out outside but you can in a hot tub.

I've been talking to a buddy of mine who is thinking about getting one and I told him that Cal Spas hot tub has a very good quality and works really well. I also told him to try to go with a bigger tub than what he thinks because the tub gets crowded as the kids start to grow. My tub's cover has broken already and they have the hydraulic one. We haven't had time to bring it in but hopefully, it's covered under warranty. I would recommend the Cal Spas tub.

Original review: May 19, 2018

We got the biggest pool spa from Cal Spas and their team was fabulous. They were very responsive and educated on things that we didn’t know. They had to go over the house for the installation and it was a great experience. The pool spa made our life less stressful and we've enjoyed it every single day. It also made our family closer and we’ve been able to get physical therapy and relaxation. It's been a great experience and I’ve told my friends and the people I work with about it.

Original review: May 18, 2018

The Cal Spas tub I bought was a special. It was a Jacuzzi and a tub with the gazebo. They gave me an excellent service when I purchased it and they worked with me. Everything was planned out perfectly with the installation and it went smooth. I'm down in the desert and there is no lake, so the tub is a nice thing to see. When I'm drained, I'd jump in the tub and feel I'm having a nice afternoon because of the water. The tub also brings the family a little closer and it gives a little smile on their faces. I’ve had the hot tub since August and it's been running great so far. Also, they've treated me good and they've never done me wrong.

Original review: May 17, 2018

We were getting rid of our pool and a hot tub was the other option. There were two providers at the fair but we liked Cal Spas better. Their salesman was good although he undersold how much work it's gonna be. He told us that all I gotta do was change the filters every month, but it was more of a surprise and it made it easier to buy it when it sounded like it’s very little maintenance than what it really is. We found our own electrician to do the wiring and did most of the work ourselves.

We’re glad we got the tub, but it took a while to get used to everything you gotta do, with the right amount of chemicals and when you need to do it. It’s a learning curve but we’re getting through that now and it seems to be a lot better. We enjoy the tub and we love it. We’ve looked at other companies but the quality of Cal Spas is better than anything else out in the market. A friend of ours bought from the other place at the same fair that we did and they regret going with the other company. Ours was a better deal and a better product.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I've had my Cal Spas hot tub for about five years. The work they did was fine but there were issues with getting it delivered. We bought it in the Twin Cities area, Metropolitan Minneapolis where we live, and we had it delivered 140 miles away. We ordered it in the fall and the model that we purchased was a floor model because they gave us a great deal on it. The issue that we had is that it had water in it when it was on the floor of the showroom. And in the interim of getting it taken off the showroom floor, drained, and delivered to Northwestern Wisconsin, it was early November so it froze.

I told their rep that maybe we should be putting antifreeze on the tub, but he said no and that it would be fine. So we had it installed, had an electrician come out, filled it up with water, and turned it on, then water started spraying everywhere. We had to go through several conversations and had the owner of the place call us. And my wife told him that we asked about putting insulation on the tub before since it was going to be delivered in November. He admitted that we had asked that specific question and eventually, we got a new tub and they made it right.

The whole process took three weeks. It was installed by the time we told them it had to be installed. We love our new tub and since the one that we’ve had the bad experience with, we bought a new one. And the second time, we bought the biggest non-swim spa that they have and they installed that last summer. It’s been awesome and they did everything correctly. We have a Master Spas at home that we like, but it’s old. And when that one goes in the next couple of years, we will probably buy another Cal Spas, because we like the spas. They seem to be well built and if something goes wrong, as long as they make it right at the end of the day, that’s all that matters.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Everything seems to be really good with Cal Spas. They are one of the better quality hot tubs. We bought ours at the Minnesota State Fair, and the people there who sold it were very good and helpful. However, we were told that it would be there four or five days, but we ended up waiting 20 days when they installed it. But, other than that, all was good. Also, a pipe froze this winter and they came out and took care of it. They got it out and replaced what they needed to replace, and they were very good about it. We had a tub prior to it before. Although, this one is a lot nicer and bigger. Also, both Brian and I have health issues. He has a really bad knee, and I had back surgery three years ago. There are times when we are hurting really bad, and we go sit in it and it helps. We had a really good deal on the hot tub. And we enjoy it.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I've got a friend who started his own hot tub dealership, and I went with Cal Spas because that is what he is selling. He also said it is a good product. My friend installed it and it went smooth. They showed up when they said they would and they got it taken care of pretty easily. It's definitely a stress reliever for my family, especially my wife. Cal Spas works well and I would recommend it.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Cal Spas was great, and I love the spa. We've had Doughboys for years and when we decided to get another spa, we went to Secard and Cal Spas had a sale at that time. Their sales rep explained the pros and cons of the spa and what he would buy if he was buying another one. The installers were very nice. They did a good job and were very thorough. They made sure we understood everything before they left and did a good job placing it and taking the old one away. The spa is just a great thing for the desert because you can cool down. And when you're achy, you could get up and get the kinks out. It's nice, and I’m enjoying it immensely.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Cal Spas has been in Sacramento for many years. I went out to a fair and talked to a couple of vendors out there and was really impressed with their knowledge and where they were located. Also, their showroom was nice. I just bought my spa in August. It seats five people. It’s a package deal where I got the steps, the cover and everything for about $3900. I got a good deal and they told me who to contact for financing and the financing has been good.

I was not impressed with the delivery at all though and the installation was awful. We were scheduled for 7:30 in the morning and they showed up at 6:30 on a weekday. We were still in bed and we had to jump up. Also, they had asked me to send in the measurements of my backyards and patio, which I did. But the tub was still too big, so we had to cut a part of my roof to get it there and the roof still hasn’t been fixed. But the tub is a really good product. I use it for about four times a week and it makes a big difference. I have somebody that comes every week to put the chemicals in and it has worked just fine as I didn’t wanna deal with chemicals. I sell insurance and work a lot of hours, so it’s nice that I have somebody that just comes once a week and test everything out for me.

Original review: May 11, 2018

We’ve been looking for a spa for some time through the vendor, and they began carrying Cal Spas. I was very happy with the people who sold us the spa. They were very knowledgeable. Then installing the spa went smoothly. The installers came when they said they were going to and installed it. It was a good experience. It's a little smaller than our older one, but we’re happy with it so far. We are enjoying it. We’ve already had a problem with it where we had to have them come out and fix it. One of the jets was broken when it was installed. And so, it wouldn’t work when we started using it. But I am hoping it’s just a one-off.

The only other thing that's kind of a negative, we had speakers installed in it, and where the Wi-Fi antennae is located makes it very difficult to connect to so it’s spotty. You can’t just go and turn on the speaker. You have to go and stand here and there and cross your fingers. We may end up having to take out the antennae and put it in a different location. But overall experience is good. Seems like a great spa. We haven’t had it a long time but we’re happy with it so far.

Original review: May 4, 2018

We bought a smaller spa from Cal Spas, but it has the features of the larger ones. It was put in satisfactorily and it fits well in the space that we wanted to put it. The quality of the tub appears good and it has super nice features. It has been less than a year since we bought the tub and I'm gonna call Cal Spas only for very minor things before the year is up. I have recommended Cal Spas to other people.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Cal Spas is refusing to warrant the spa claiming chemical abuse after reviewing a video I sent to them showing the caulking and plumbing coming apart. Model: Bel Air 851B, serial: 16S-005856, purchase date: 5-23-16, delivery date: 7-30-16. Numerous problem dates. Had to get a police detective to get the spa because the dealer went to jail and abandoned his business. Cal Spas would not help. Within 2 weeks the jets were blowing out, went back and forth with Cal Spas (Robert ** and Karen **) to get those replaced for 7 months. Started noticing white flakes in the water within the 1st year, called a Cal Spas dealer in Utah who refused to help and said it was hard water. Did a test to confirm it was not biofilm. Several filters broke from the bottom and ended up in the water. Reported that to the parts department, no response to several emails.

Spa cabinet is deteriorating and warping. Reported that to the Utah dealer and Cal Spas in October 2017. Also reported the spa had been tripping the breaker since the summer intermittently. Utah dealer refused to repair the issue as I was too far from his store (75 miles). Spoke to Cal Spas warranty department (Marfelia **) who agreed to let me find someone else willing to do the repair. The only closest company, Brady's (60 miles away) agreed. They replaced the control box and just put screws in the panels. Cal Spas did offer to replace the panels under warranty, but was going to charge me $114 to ship them, which I still dispute because they are covered under warranty. They also charged me to ship the control box, plus I had to pay the trip charge for the repairs, even though labor is covered under the warranty.

The repair did not fix the tripping issue and is now a daily occurrence, which they tried to blame on the power company at first, then the electrical work (which I had checked) and now they say maybe a new pump would help (at my expense, of course)...fact is, they have no idea what is causing this and I believe it is a stalling tactic until the warranty expires. Two weeks ago I did a water change. While cleaning the interior shell, I discovered that the sealant around ALL of the jets and the filter housing is coming off in chunks and has the consistency of putty, yet very sticky like tree sap. I tried to clean it off the best I could, but even touching it causes it to fall off. I filled the tub so it wouldn't freeze and it tripped the breaker 3 times during start-up. So, I took off the access panel to look inside for a leak.

At that time I noticed all of the plumbing is full of this sealant and then suspected that was the cause of the "white flakes" I had been seeing for the last year. I talked to Brady's and Cal Spas and also sent them both a video of the issue. I was advised to do a super chlorinated flush, even though I told them I just changed the water, the stuff will not come off my shell (let alone the pipes because it is too sticky) and that the sealant is not causing the breaker to trip (even though I was told by Brady's it could). Cal Spas asked for a photo of my pillows (which have some wear after almost 2 years-warrantied for 90 days) and now claim chemical abuse as the reason to not honor the warranty to fix the issue estimated at more than the cost of a new tub.

They claim that, although I am using the right chemicals, they believe I may have used too much and that caused the plumbing to fall apart, yet they advised me 2 days prior to do a super chlorination (which I did not do). If my supposed "high use" of chemicals would cause this, why wouldn't a super chlorination? The fact is, my water is always balanced and checked weekly or before I go in (1-2 times a week). I am very meticulous about the chemistry. I believe they are claiming this to intentionally void the warranty. I offered a water sample, but that does not stop them from claiming it could have happened "any time" within the time I have owned it. I believe Cal Spas is responsible for the manufacturing ERRORS of this tub that are causing it to now fall apart.

I issued a complaint against them and their response was, of course, still chemical abuse and they wanted me to provide a chemical analysis of the "white powder" (they said) that is floating in the water. Which is crazy because that "white powder" they are referring to is THEIR sealant and THEY should know what it is made of. And, now I'm curious what it is made of, too. Perhaps it is a hazardous substance that is putting my family's health at risk from being in the tub. But, as you see, yet again they are avoiding the issue and laying the responsibility on me, the consumer, to avoid warranting this hot tub. I have a video showing exactly what is happening because it is difficult to explain in writing. It can be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjFWGDbZUvA&t=1s.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I am very satisfied with my decision to purchase a swim spa from Cal Spas. I got one for medical reasons and I've had it for about nine months now. Everything went smoothly with the installation. Since it's a swim spa, the area wasn't big enough so I had to dig out some dirt and had someone to put cement on there. Then when that was all done, the hot spa came. The installers had to lift it over with a crane, bring it down and set it right. The other guy was there guiding it to make sure nothing happens. They also had an electric guy over at the same time and they set all the electric up to 240 then hooked everything up.

Since I was new to having a spa, I went down to Cal Spas a couple of times to clarify some things I wasn't sure of. I was a little confused how things work like with the pH and sanitizing. Every time I would do what I read or what I used to put in there, it was still showing a little different than what it should be. Also sometimes, the water gets a little cloudy that I am wanting to shock it. Still, the spa is therapy for me and it relieves the pain in my legs that I'm having.

Original review: April 24, 2018

When I started looking for a spa, I did my searching around online. I went to the dealership that had Cal Spas and I liked the price. When I bought the spa last year, they came and just dropped it off. I thought that they were actually gonna give me a tutorial or explain it, but no. And that was an issue. I was reading over the manual and I wasn’t really getting it. I had to call the place because there were a lot of things I wasn’t sure I was doing the right way. I called the number and they were trying to explain, but it’s harder when they're not there showing you. For that, I did not have a good experience. But they told me the products that came with it and that I needed to put one in the water. As far as filling up, I wasn’t sure if I was doing it right because you gotta fill up through the filter where the filtration system is. And I was a little confused as to whether I had to take off some filter or fill it up with the filter on.

Also, I haven’t used the spa that much. When I used it for a little bit, my electricity bill went up super high. It was a $200 difference and I don’t think it was supposed to be that much. I know other people who have spas and they say that it shouldn’t be that much as well. So I disconnected it. But I am planning on using it again in the summer because at least with us, our power bill comes every two months. I wanted to make sure that that was the issue or it was something else.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Cal Spas' rep was good and very knowledgeable. The installation was a piece of cake. However, there was a little bit of issue about the rep estimating the electrical cost and then referring me to an electrical contractor who had a different number in mind. The reps need to be really trained on how much that costs.

Cal Spas expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1979, Cal Spas is an innovator in the hot tub business. The company holds 28 trademarks and 48 design patents. Cal Spa offers a wide variety of patio hot tubs, in-ground hot tubs and Swim Pro swim spas.

• Fountain of Youth™: This trademarked product uses micro-bubbles to increase oxygen levels in the water. Cal Spa states that this hydrotherapy rejuvenates the body and skin.

• Trade in value: Trade in an old hot tub and get money toward a brand new Cal Spas hot tub or swim spa. Use the web form to obtain a free, no-obligation trade-in estimate.

• Exclusive offers: By signing up for the Cal Spas newsletter on the website, consumers gain access to exclusive offers.

• Cal Spas blog: The Cal Spas blog offers advice on hot tub and swim spa ownership and repair, as well as a variety of health-related topics.

• Customer support: Cal Spas offers customer support via phone or email or by using their contact form online.

• Best for: Consumers needing therapy, consumers wanting relaxation and consumers needing exercise.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

Pomona
800-225-7727
calspas.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business