4.45/5
  • 1 star
Based on 100 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

With over 35 years of experience, Cal Spas is a provider of luxury spas and accessories. We pride ourselves in being a top Global Manufacturer of Home Resort Products.

Innovation and technological advancements are top priorities when crafting Cal Spas products. Built with more standard features and designer appeal, our products are a great addition to any outdoor space.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 4, 2017

548 Cal Spas Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Cal Spas had an open house and when I went to buy the spa, I felt I was welcome. The people explained to me how that thing operates. Their installation team was did a good job, but they didn't install anything. All they did was bring in the hot tub, drop it off and then leave. It took them 45 minutes to an hour to do everything. Though I had to tell them how to do it, they're professional. So far, I love the tub itself. It's the big one and it has that ultrasonic filter. Everything is working fine, however the cover and the piece of cheap tubing that they use to lift the cover is horrible. Cal Spas has a good reputation but then, they provide those cheap cover with a handle. It really ruins the taste.

Other than that, when I went back there because I had a problem, the people at Cal Spas treated me like a stranger. It felt like they want me to stay out, and since they got my business, they don't need me anymore. They won’t even help me with my complaint. I asked them to let me talk to the expert since the spa is not working and I have a single question. Finally, they got somebody, got me in the office, and she was not a professional. She was just going back and forth, three or four times. Finally, I got tired of it. I got home, read the book a little, and I got the spa working. All in all, the spa is good but the service is horrible.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

We originally talked to Cal Spas and with somebody that had used them close to a year ago, and then made the purchase several months ago. Our spa can fit six to eight people and we like its quality. The installation went well and the Cal Spas team has good customer service.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I’ve used Cal Spas for 30 to 60 days since I bought the last one and it has been bad. The guy from Cal Spas came here and told me that he needed to get a crane to get the hot tub lifted over my house to get in the backyard. I told them I have access to the back, through a lot and they can pull their truck up back there and I'll help them get it up there. They said over and over that it cannot happen and that they needed eight guys. Luckily, I had eight guys working around the corner who could've helped us. But all said and done, it only took three guys to do the same job and get the hot tub. He wanted to charge an extra fee because the delivery was free. And then, he didn’t want to talk and just wanted to leave. I finally convinced him and said, "I'll give you a tip, whatever. Take $100, $200. Just listen to me and I guarantee you we're going to get it up there. It's not that bad. And you can get your truck all the way back to the lot." It was horrible delivery.

Then, we got the tub and it had a blown fuse on it so once the electrical was hooked up, it didn’t work. Then I went back and forth with Cal Spas. Finally, I had to call a third-party person and they came and looked at the spa. I told them that there’s a blown fuse when it was sold to me. They told me all they do is sell spas and they gave me a number and collected my $9000 and put it in their pocket. It was horrible. I did business with Royal Spas out of Indianapolis, Indiana. They manufacture Royal Spas and I used their spa for 10 years. It was an awesome company and I never had an issue. But Cal Spas is garbage. I bought the spa and already one of the jets broke. Now I'm calling them back and waiting what they’ll do on this part. It's a crappy product, crappy service, and crappy people.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

We've got a swim spa and we liked its size, the way it looked and what Cal Spas had to offer. We went back and forth on the 12-footer or the bigger one, and we wished we went with the bigger one but that would have taken up a lot of our patio. We were a little frustrated when getting the spa took a bit longer than usual and then once we got it, we had one problem. So, they sent people out to fix it. The product was brought in and set up like they said it would, so it was good. Now, the only issue we're having is that my husband can’t keep the chlorine in it enough. Other than that, the swim spa is nice and it's perfect for our daughter. Instead of having a pool taking up the whole yard, my daughter can go into the spa, splash around, and then still has room out in the yard to do whatever. We had a good experience.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

We use our Cal Spa three to four times a week. The quality was excellent and it was better than what I expected. The installation team was good. They showed me how to cover, operate and lock it. I had some questions about the electrical and they were able to help with that as well. They were fast because it didn't take more than 20 minutes from the time they got there to the time that they were done. I got a starter chemical pack from them but I didn't use it because it came with chlorine and I heard that the bromine is the better thing to go with. I already recommended it to my in-laws and they'll probably end up going to the same location in Western Sacramento.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cal Spas?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

My wife has googled Cal Spas and we've had our spa since June.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I bought a Cal Spa off Craigslist and used it for a few years. And then, this spring, it froze up and got damaged when we were on vacation. We came back to our hot tub all empty from frozen pipes expanding and breaking. Then we went to Cal Spa and got a new one and the experience was awesome. It was perfect – quick, painless and easy. The sales reps were awesome. I recommended Cal Spas to an uncle of mine and he bought a hot tub shortly after we did.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

I sought Cal Spas and I've known about them for 30 years. I bought one at the Los Angeles County Fair 20 years ago at a different home and I just bought a new hot tub two months ago. The new tub has dual motors with dual filtration. Installation went fine and both tubs are good. I have a five-year warranty on it. The headrest has all bubbled up and lost their adhering effect that it has so it hasn’t held up with the water. I have to take all the cushions. It's easy to repair but that could be improved. They have a plastic step to go in the Cal Spas and it’s very poor. It gets very hot in the summer months that it burns the bottom of your feet. Cal Spas needs to address and upgrade that and I made one myself. The tub works all the time when we use it in the summer but we don’t want to go from hot to cold, it’s too painful. We can’t use it during the winter because it's too cold outside.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

We bought our spa in June 2009 and its still looks great and works well. We had a few issues when we originally ordered the spa, which were resolved immediately by the company: The cover lifter we ordered was missing (they sent one). The 75sf filters didn't fit (they replaced them with 50sf filters). There was a crimped hose (they sent someone to replace it.) I was glad we were advised to order 2 covers; we replaced the original cover a couple of years ago with the second one we bought.

But I wish we had not gotten the bromine generator. It was a considerable added expense, the base chemical that makes it work was also expensive and hard to find, and we ended up just using bromine tablets anyway. Next time we might want to try the UV filter. We also had problems with the 24 hour pump and had to disconnect it; we just use the main pump which we find is sufficient for filtering. All in all, we love our spa and use it every day. We'd buy another spa from this company.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Cal Spas refuses to replace or remove the faulty swim spa I purchased in 2014. I bought a new swim spa in 2014 for $18,000. By 2015 the fixtures inside the spa rusted, the speaker covers rusted, one of the speaker covers under water came off; the debris catcher casing separated from the wall of the spa and the side paneling came off. Parts were replaced summer of 2016. ALL parts have rusted again & worse and the side paneling is off again. I purchased the spa from Secard Pools in Hemet and all they can do is replace the parts. I have asked both Secard and Cal Spa to reimburse me 75% of the cost and to remove it off my property and they say they cannot. Cal Spa (who built the spa) says it is not their responsibility. We have not been able to use the spa because it is a health hazard. The spa is maintained weekly by a reputable pool services and has been since we purchased it.

I cannot seem to get Cal Spa to understand that it is their product that is faulty and that water equipment should not rust. The Cal Spa Service Manager Karen said that because I have a contract with Secard it is their responsibility. Secard did not build the spa nor do they have the replacement parts, the parts come from Cal Spa. There is no resolve here and Cal Spa will not stand behind their product. Because of their faulty parts, I have not been able to utilize the spa and the spa is needed for my immune disorder, as I am a retired vet who suffers from chronic joint and muscle disabilities, which is why I purchased the spa.

Cal Spas response
Sonya,

We are very sorry that this rust issue continues to frustrate you. We want you to be able to use your spa confidently for your health and well being. After speaking to you we believe you may be experiencing this issue from the use of liquid chlorine in your spa. We at the least want to eliminate any issue we think may be contributing to this problem. Secard has been authorized to replace any stainless that is having this issue in your spa free of charge under warranty; and we would like to send you some granulated chlorine which is recommended in the owners manual.

Please allow us to help in this manner, it is the first step in figuring out why this would occur in your product. We will send this product direct to you this week, hopefully your service man can use this product and you will have good results with it. We do want to help you. Please call me if you have any questions or would like to discuss this further.

Best Regards, Karen

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I’ve heard good stuff about Cal Spas and I decided to get the fifty-two jets, six-person tub. Their rep gave me good guidance on what to get and the installation team was great. I’ve been using it for six months and life is definitely more enjoyable with it.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Cal Spa OC Majestic Series 850 - We have owned this hot tub since the spring of 2009. This hot tub has been used quite often by my wife and I and our two boys. As my boys grew older and through their high school years the hot tub was used frequently by my sons and their friends. The value of soaking in the hot tub to relieve life's aches and pains as well as relieving stress is hard to quantify. Needless to say, this hot tub has been a mainstay for our family. The hot tub has been very reliable and other than normal maintenance, the overall costs to own has been very low. Would I recommend Cal Spa hot tubs to a friend... Absolutely!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Cal Spa’s quality is really good but it's their cost that made us purchase our 14 foot swim spa from them. The owner Brett was with me the entire time during the installation and he did a good job. We did a lot of concrete and he put the deck for us. Overall I've enjoyed my experience with our spa. I get out every night after work and I swim, and my wife feels like she's on vacation all the time.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

We bought a swim spa and had it around a year. It has been a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be but it was good. Cal Spas has been great that we use it for exercise. The installation was pretty simple and the installers knew what they were doing. We have a long driveway but it was a little narrow than they expected so they flipped the spa on the side and brought it up. We had an issue with the connection but it was almost a week before somebody came out to have a look at it. He fixed it in no time so it was pretty good. Cal Spas was efficient and a good experience overall. They also had good pricing.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I have a Cal Spas hot tub in place for two months now. The installers were good. They forgot the pad where it sits on, but it was not their fault. I went to their store and bought that after I purchased the tub and it didn't connect up with the paperwork. But that did not hinder the installers to put the tub in place because I had an electrician on-site.

They had to come back later to do that and did it the same day. Even though I had to pay my electrician twice, the people at Cal Spas made it up to me by giving some free chemicals. So they've been fantastic. Their customer service is phenomenal. They're really good at answering questions. And being a new spa owner, I had a lot of them. Since the installation, my wife and I really enjoy the tub. We use it pretty regularly. Also quality-wise, this is probably the best that I've sat in and I already brought a friend to their store to have him buy the same one I have.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I moved out to Lancaster, California and I was looking for a place to buy a pool table from. I bought one from Cal Spas and I also bought a spa from them. We love it and we enjoy getting in it. The installers were wonderful and very professional. They came, put it together, showed me what to do with it and how to take care of it. They cleaned up their little boxes and headed out. We had a very nice experience with Cal Spas.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I talked to several different places and Cal Spas had the requirements that I needed and the vendor was very helpful. They’re the ones in Victorville off the freeway, on Mariposa. They were very nice people, even after I went back because I was having trouble. I was breaking out in a rash because the chlorine has a stabilizer that’s acidic. So, they helped me figure out what chemicals I could put in to keep it clean and not have those problems.

I got a three-person tub called The Balboa. I didn't want a really big one because I put it inside of a room. I use it every day for exercise, that's what I bought it for. I have a physical disability. I had a knee replacement. So, I get in it and I have paddles that I use to exercise because I can't really exercise because of my back. I do water aerobics. I got a noodle, and I move my legs with the noodle. Also, it helps just to be able to put the pressure on the bubbles on my back and the heat to help with my arthritis pain. I love the spa. It works great. I'm happy and I would recommend it to a friend.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I purchased a new house and got a unit from Cal Spas that has a lounger and a seven-person capacity. The installation went smoothly and everything was on time. Cal Spas has always meant quality products for me. They're also a nice company to deal with and I would recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

We've had a Cal Spas spa for six months now. They have a really nice facility and a staff that helped us understand what would be the best hot tub to get started with since we were new to hot tubs. So far, the unit that we got works great. I particularly like its maintenance-free aspect. However, what caught us off guard was understanding the level of chemicals required to maintain and use a hot tub. It was downplayed from the beginning all the way until the unit was delivered. There should be a better way to prepare the customers for that.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I owned a Cal Spa which was nice, and since then, I liked it. It was a very old spa, 12 years old, and it was built just right and it was great. Then I went for a swim spa which was a significant upgrade. I got the spa through a dealer but everybody at Cal Spas was great. I had to have a crane for the installation, so I scheduled that. We used A-1 and the guy who came was fantastic. He really knew what he was doing. All the other guys that did the installation were great as well. They set it up and it went as smooth as it can be. When the spa was installed, it had a leak, but Cal Spas came right out and fixed it and it's been fine since. So, everything has been working good. I use the spa a lot and it's still humming along. It helped me to get a little more exercise and some work. It was a quality experience overall.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

We drove by one of Cal Spas’ distributors, Secard Pools and Spas, and we were curious about what they sold. We were originally thinking of doing an inground pool but the Swim Spa seemed like a better solution for our needs. The sales person at Secard was knowledgeable about how they work, like the special occasions as far as space around the spa that we would need for it to fit in our yard, so it was a pretty easy interaction. There was one time where I had an issue with a pump that was not wanting to start, and it was a Secard service rep who came out and looked at it.

The Secard team also did the installation and it went well. There was a bit of a tight squeeze to get it down the driveway, but they were really good about making through the clearance and they were quick. Since the installation of our Cal Spa Swim Spa, we have definitely been having fun as a family, hanging out in the spa portion of it when it's just time to relax. Also, it has been good for getting exercise when we would turn the current on and swim against it, so it has been good for our health and mental well-being too. It's definitely worth the money.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

The circuit board of my old spa went out and it got too expensive to repair since it’s a rare one. I asked the repair guy what he would recommend and he told me to get a new one from Cal Spas. He used to work for them and said he didn't like the management but he likes their product. I got the seven by seven foot with 51 jets in it, with two six-horsepower motors and has the thing in the center they call the volcano. The sales part was good and I appreciate them supposedly giving me a deal. The installation also went fine other than when the lady came and said to clean the filter. I called Cal Spas about it and they didn’t know what was going on. There was nothing in the book about it as well so they told me to call service then I finally figured it out myself.

I live about 20 miles where Cal Spas is located and I went down there to get a filter. I told them my model number and gave them a piece of paper where I had drawn out the size of the filter. But they gave me a round one and I didn’t realize it was the wrong filter until I got to my vehicle. I could have gone all the way home and have been a little more upset about it. But things happen and I understand that. So far, I have two spas from Cal Spas and they're real nice.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

We put a patio in for a hot tub 15 years ago when we remodeled our house. And we had it wired but we never got around to put a tub in. I’m retired and when I went back to work for a former employer, we had the extra money and decided to do it. And I have a friend that has had Cal Spas for many years, so he recommended it. And then I went to the dealer here in Hurst that Cal Spas got, Texas Leisure. The reps gave me some advice on the chemicals when I first got the tub, and I’ve gotten used to doing it. I got the Kona, a three-person tub that’s 220 voltage. I’ve enjoyed the unit and I’m very happy with the way it runs, and I’m in it in the morning and in the evening.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I had a Patio Spa installed by Cal Spas. The installation was a pleasant experience and my dealings with the Cal Spas team have been good. Since my hot tub was installed, I’ve had more relaxation. I’ve had my spa for less than a year and I use it twice a week.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

We've had our house for 17 years and its hot tub was built into the ground. The people we bought the house from said they’ve had a lot of trouble with the old hot tub and they weren't going to put any more money into it. So, we fixed it up and kept it running but it didn't have anything, including bubbles. It was just a hot tub. We then called a company out here, six months ago, to replace it, and they recommended Cal Spas tub. I did a little bit of research online and I liked what I saw about Cal Spas as far as how they compare to other hot tubs. I also like that they're American Made.

We got the Cal Spas, and the company that installed it was Texas Landscaping and they were easy to work with. They came in, removed one of my fence panels, took the old bath tub out, filled in the hole that it left and put concrete and rebar in there to put the new spa on top. Nearly all of that happened while I was at work. By the time I got home the fence panel was replaced and the tub was installed and running. All that it took at that point was for them to give me about a 10-minute spa school, and it's been easy ever since.

We use the hot tub quite a bit, so it's been nice. The tub is easy to use, control, keep clean and maintain. It's a lot better with all the jets and controls and its lights work. It's also above ground and I've been happy with the way that it filters, the way it stays clean and with its simple operation as far as operating the jets. I also haven't had to do a whole lot with the tub to keep the chemicals balanced.

The hot tub also has a temperature feature that keeps the temperature at a certain range. And during the summer we could never get the temperature of the hot tub down below about a 105. So, I called Texas Landscape and they said that it was because of the cover that's on the tub. it's over a hundred degrees where we're at, so there's no place for the heat to go. It's not like the heating element isn't heating the hot tub up. It's just the ambient heat in the air. I was told to set some kind of a little can to prop up one side of the cover to release some of that heat. After that, the heat got regulated perfectly.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I was looking for spas and went to one of the places that sold spas. Cal Spas seemed like the one with better cushion. I also like the size. I did a little bit of research and the price was solid for the size, and with the nano-jets that was put on. So the value and jet layout got me decided on buying it. They did a good job bringing it to the house, then we installed it ourselves and ended up tweaking the water depth. We have it for about a year now and we’ve used it plenty of times. It’s nice and comforting to have in the backyard. The jets made for them are really good. It does the back massage and a good foot massage, ad it's also got the lighting too. It’s been a solid product, the experience was good and I’d recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

We’ve had Cal Spas for about 10 years now. We had their old hot tub and then we recently bought and installed a new one. Installation went real well and everything is working good. And the guys were very pleasant. They kept everything clean, they didn’t rough anything up and they worked very quickly. Our new Cal Spas tub sits on top of the deck and my wife uses it more than I do. Overall, they’re a good company and I enjoy doing business with them.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I lived in San Bernardino all my life. I live in Highland now, but I used to go there, get chemicals and always drive by and see all the displays Cal Spas had in the pools so I was familiar with the company. Everything was perfect from when I went in and bought my spa up to installation. The rep gave me the price and explained everything. I got a five-seater spa with lights, stereo, and radio. It's really nice. However, I’ve been busy and haven't been able to use it as much as I'd like to, but every time I'm in it, I thoroughly enjoy it. My daughter and son-in-law enjoyed it as well.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

The first time I bought a tub from Cal Spas was in 1994, then I bought another one a few months back. They were installed in two different houses but we still have the older tub and it's still working. The installation went extremely well with the new tub. They had to get a crane to lift it over my house and drop it under a deck, but that went smoothly. We had an arrangement with our crane operator so it wasn't too expensive. It's portable and has a good lighting system and lounge chair on it. The jet seemed to be good too. Plus, it has Wi-Fi and you could control it remotely. The local guys here in the twin cities are excellent and they do a great job. And I actually repurchased because of the quality of the local representation. Plus, the product is good. I have recommend them to friends.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

We were looking for Cal Spas and we’ve been to several different places. We checked out Hot Tub Warehouse and ended up picking them. It was the best price and value. Chet, the guy who runs the place, was wonderful. He explained everything and made it really easy. So we got it and had it installed. We had to widen our fence, then we tore up our patio and made more of a rectangular long patio that goes to the back part of the yard. And the guys came in and set it up and they were wonderful. We’ve poured the cement where it's sitting and got a little house for it too, which is for winter.

We got it in May and I love it. We’re in it almost every night, except for when it’s really hot. We have all the colors and this funky little mopping waterfall thingy. My husband wanted the more powerful motor, so we have two levels or two something motor. We also have three buttons on the right-hand side and three buttons on the left-hand side for programming it. It has the MP3 player capability and speakers too.

Because I’m a lot older, the only issue I had was learning how to program it. I don’t like their book. I went online to YouTube, and there’s a perfectly good video that shows how to program it. Plus I worked with Chet. He’s my buddy. Every time I have a question, I call him and he tells me what to do. We’ve only had a few stupid beginner issues. And he was very patient with me and explained things. We were so pleased. The spa also got all kinds of warranties. I’m not anticipating anything happening, but if they do, I’ll just call Chet and I’m sure he’ll take care of it. I’m thrilled, and I recommend.

Cal Spas Company Information