4.35/5
Based on 103 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

With over 35 years of experience, Cal Spas is a provider of luxury spas and accessories. We pride ourselves in being a top Global Manufacturer of Home Resort Products.

Innovation and technological advancements are top priorities when crafting Cal Spas products. Built with more standard features and designer appeal, our products are a great addition to any outdoor space.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 25, 2018

606 Cal Spas Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 25, 2018

I am very satisfied with my decision to purchase a swim spa from Cal Spas. I got one for medical reasons and I've had it for about nine months now. Everything went smoothly with the installation. Since it's a swim spa, the area wasn't big enough so I had to dig out some dirt and had someone to put cement on there. Then when that was all done, the hot spa came. The installers had to lift it over with a crane, bring it down and set it right. The other guy was there guiding it to make sure nothing happens. They also had an electric guy over at the same time and they set all the electric up to 240 then hooked everything up.

Since I was new to having a spa, I went down to Cal Spas a couple of times to clarify some things I wasn't sure of. I was a little confused how things work like with the pH and sanitizing. Every time I would do what I read or what I used to put in there, it was still showing a little different than what it should be. Also sometimes, the water gets a little cloudy that I am wanting to shock it. Still, the spa is therapy for me and it relieves the pain in my legs that I'm having.

Get expert buying tips about Hot Tubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 24, 2018

When I started looking for a spa, I did my searching around online. I went to the dealership that had Cal Spas and I liked the price. When I bought the spa last year, they came and just dropped it off. I thought that they were actually gonna give me a tutorial or explain it, but no. And that was an issue. I was reading over the manual and I wasn’t really getting it. I had to call the place because there were a lot of things I wasn’t sure I was doing the right way. I called the number and they were trying to explain, but it’s harder when they're not there showing you. For that, I did not have a good experience. But they told me the products that came with it and that I needed to put one in the water. As far as filling up, I wasn’t sure if I was doing it right because you gotta fill up through the filter where the filtration system is. And I was a little confused as to whether I had to take off some filter or fill it up with the filter on.

Also, I haven’t used the spa that much. When I used it for a little bit, my electricity bill went up super high. It was a $200 difference and I don’t think it was supposed to be that much. I know other people who have spas and they say that it shouldn’t be that much as well. So I disconnected it. But I am planning on using it again in the summer because at least with us, our power bill comes every two months. I wanted to make sure that that was the issue or it was something else.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I've had my Cal Spas hot tub for nine months and I bought it from a brick and mortar store. The rep was good and very knowledgeable. The installation was a piece of cake. However, there was a little bit of issue about the rep estimating the electrical cost and then referring me to an electrical contractor who had a different number in mind. The reps need to be really trained on how much that costs.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Cal Spas is a good company, and we have them as our hot tub provider for one year already. The installation was perfect. Everything is going well.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I had Cal Spas prior to the one I have now. The company is a bigger name and I could reach out if something was to go wrong with my spa. The salespeople were great but after you get the spa then you almost didn't matter. I had gone in because I was having a few issues. I was making sure that the chemicals were right and what they sold me versus what I was being kind of told. It was a very short conversation. It was almost like, at that point, just go to the pool/spa place where you get your chemicals and talk with them. The installers were phenomenal though. They were a very quality crew. The spa is great and we’re in it almost every night. It helps me sleep better. I'll probably end up with another Cal Spas.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cal Spas?

Original review: April 14, 2018

My husband had back surgery so he had been wanting a hot tub for quite some time. He is 6'4" and Cal Spas' hot tub's depth and amount of seating made us attracted to it and went with it. When it was installed, the experience was easy and wonderful. We have the tub for six months now and it's relaxing. My little one likes to think it’s a pool and jumps in it.

Cal Spas response

Holly, Thank you for letting us know that you are enjoying your spa. It is great therapy someone with a sore back and for those little ones that just want to have fun too. We appreciate your business. Best Regards,

Original review: April 13, 2018

We drive by Cal Spas' store every day. When we went to their store, it was nice. We could bring water and they would test it for us. They would also give us advice on how to treat the water and on different things to manipulate it. We got a five-seater hot tub from them which was their best seller. It's got four seats on one side and the lay-down tub when you come in the entrance. We also got a gazebo cover that made it a good deal. However, the way the salesperson pitched the hot tub to us wasn’t exactly what she said, but I’m not sure if she knew what she was talking about. When one half of the spa has the jets going, the other half won't. I looked into it and that's just the way it's supposed to be. If I knew it was like that, I would’ve purchased a bigger, more expensive one.

The third-party installer did an okay job, but I had to go through and tighten a lot of the bolts in the gazebo and fix a lot of things, although this was just basic repair. And then when they put the actual hot tub in, the drain was unplugged. I should have checked it because as I was filling it, it was just draining everywhere. I call my fault on that, but they should’ve checked it before I started filling it up.

The tub also had a couple of problems. After I plugged the drain back, there was another leak somewhere inside it. So, a technician came and had to fix that. Then there was another issue with the tub and I had to leave for a few weeks, and the good thing was the techs came out right away. Also, it was no cost on our end for fixing it since these were all covered under warranty. But we've had the hot tub for nine months now and over time, we've realized that it was just a bad purchase and we shouldn't have done it. We should've invested 7,000 into something else.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I've had my spa for roughly eight months now and so far, it's been good. During the installation, I had everything ready to go. My wife said that the team did a good job and I think it was pretty flawless. It was expensive running the spa this winter but outside of that, it has performed well. Also, we talked to their customer service for the sales staff and regarding a replacement filter that broke and they’ve helped us on both of times. I'm satisfied and I’d recommend Cal Spas.

Original review: April 8, 2018

30 years ago, we bought a Sundance which was a good spa. We got Cal Spas this time mainly because I got the most of my money. It's very nice. After we first got it, we had a representative come out and go over a lot of stuff with us, which was very nice. And the installation went very well too. It’s been very acceptable to us. For the less than a year that I've had it, it has been trouble-free.

Original review: April 7, 2018

We wanted a swim spa and we checked out different ones, and they were over $30,000. Since there's just the two of us, so we don’t need a bunch of bells and whistles. So, we decided that swim spa would work for us. The installers came and hooked up everything. And they didn’t have a part of the stairs so they took that away and then I went back down and picked it up down in Sacramento, just about an hour and 15 minutes away from here. Our swim spa got 1300 gallons of water in it and it's got two chairs type that do different things where you’re sitting in a recliner thing. And then on the side, it’s got single jets where if you wanna have a bunch of people that could all be doing something. Or you could just do the swim thing, which my wife has done a couple times and she enjoys it.

So far, the spa is working good. However, we only got to enjoy it for a few months before winter came. And then when we got them two $220 bills back-to-back, we said, “Okay. We’re gonna have to shut her down.” So, we haven’t enjoyed it for four months now. It’s just sitting there. It’s just too expensive to run during the winter which I didn’t know about. If we would’ve known about that, maybe I might not have gotten it. We've had our Cal Spas for almost a year now and I have referred my neighbors and they went and bought a spa the next week we bought ours.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I’ve known about Cal Spas for years and we’ve had this tub for about a year. The sales rep was good and she gave us and told us everything. The tub that we got has a waterfall in it. It has four seats and a lay-down, so it’s a big one. The installation of the tub sucked. They were a bunch of clowns that were here and it took them forever to put it in. They didn’t know what they were doing. I got tired of watching them. I had seen four guys that didn’t have the slightest clue about what they were doing. But I like the tub and I’ve always enjoyed it since having it installed. However, I have a couple of jets that are broke right now and I need to call Cal Spas.

Ronald,

I am sorry to hear that your delivery was less than expected, that is certainly not how we want your first experience to be with your new spa. I have contacted the store that did the delivery to let them know what happened. Further I have asked that they contact you without delay to find out what jet inserts you may need and get them to you right away. Best Regards

Original review: April 5, 2018

Cal Spas is the third tub we've purchased but is the first one we bought new so it's good. We got the tub from Secard Pools and the reps were great. When we got home, we realized it was too big that it wouldn't fit. We called them back immediately and told them it was too big. We had to go to a smaller size and we had to go back to the same place again. They had to custom-order it. The installers were great and the tub now fits. We've had the tub for about a year now and we like it. We use it for relaxation and we go in it twice a week.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: April 4, 2018

I’m 61 years old and I’m disabled. My husband is also disabled so his knees are really bad. He has always wanted a spa, so I bought the Cal Spas for him for Father’s Day. We installed it ourselves. We just had them put it on the patio where it was gonna go and we just hooked it up. My husband is retired from maintenance he provided for the San Benito County so he knows codes. We enjoyed using the spa. However, it was too cold in the wintertime even though it was a warm spa. We live in the high desert and we get a breeze so we’re gonna put a wall or something up so that we don’t get a breeze.

I noticed that the paint on the steps was not very sturdy. One night, I was getting out and I had my one foot on the first step and I had a hold of the rail. I was pulling over the top and when I stuck my left foot, the other foot, on the step, it slipped right out from under me. My hand slipped like if I was hanging on to something wet and slipped, so I went completely down. I landed with my right leg backward and my back on the steps. So I had a huge bruise from sliding down the step on my back and I had bruising on my foot. I went to the hospital to be x-rayed and they didn’t see any broken bones, but they were very surprised because I had looked like I had broken my foot. I was in a lot of pain.

I fell about four months after I got it and I haven’t been in it since. My husband put some carpeting on the steps so that it’s no longer slippery. But we still need to figure out something to put on the handrails to make them not slip when wet. I’m afraid to get in the spa because of the steps. The steps didn’t come with a warning. Cal Spas should have warned me.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 31, 2018

We've had our hot tub from Cal Spas for about six months now and we love it. However, my experience with the sales guy was a little jaded. But since I'm in sales myself, I understand being rushed. Cal Spas was busy at that time as there were a lot of people on the showroom floor and they had a lot of orders. The installation also didn’t go as well as I thought it would be. The salesperson did the measurement for the installation and I was asked for a certain amount of an access to my backyard to pour a slab. But then when their team came out, they needed more than what they said. A slab got poured the whole alleyway and then they asked for a certain amount of access to my fence. I called Cal Spas and they worked with me, but they didn’t really want to hear about it. So I paid an extra $150 to my contractor who was pouring the slab to redo my whole fence and take out the additional three and a half feet.

Also, the quality of the hot tub is a little below what I thought it would be in regards to the paneling on the side where the motor is. It’s starting to deteriorate a lot faster. In addition to that, the buckles have already broken for the top that is heavy. But, we’re enjoying the spa. The kids love the low hill type of fountain. The hot tub is not getting as much of the action though because we're on a high desert and we have a lot of winds.

Hi Gary,

We are sorry to hear you had some issues prior to the delivery with the sales person. It sounds like you got it ironed out. Please contact Secard to take care of any issues you are experiencing with your cabinet. You know you have a 5 year warranty on your spa and we do stand behind that for all your needs. I am going to send you some new cover locks so you can get those changed out quickly; you should have them in a couple of days. Thank you for purchasing a Cal Spa. I know Secard is a great dealership and will take good care of you. If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us. 1-800- Cal-Spas

Original review: March 30, 2018

I had a Cal Spas tub before and it lasted a long time. So I just went to a local place to buy a Cal Spas tub again, which was in my price range. Everything was great. People were just kind. They treated me really beautiful and I'm happy. I have the tub now for several months and It's just beautiful. I use it almost every night. It's a good spa. Go ahead and buy it,

Original review: March 29, 2018

My hot tub had gotten damaged and my son-in-law told me that everybody told him that they make better ones at Home Depot. So, I got online and I ordered a Cal Spas hot tub. And it’s been bad. They first brought the first one in the summertime and it was used. The guy who brought it up wouldn’t even back into the yard and it’s a whole big safe here. And I gave him permission. They got stuck up. I had to get a bunch of people in, and they carried it and got it up on here. The guy helped them, he knows nothing was dropped, and when they set it up, water was pouring out and you could smell nothing but pure chlorine.

My first hot tub from another provider was way better. It was sealed completely around. Water didn’t get in it, underneath it, and into the speakers. And the wind didn’t blow water underneath it either. With Cal Spas, one whole set is not even sealed and I kept trying to tell them. I’d talked to one lady from Cal Spas and she said, “Well, they’re made that way.” Anybody who’s got common sense knows that a hot tub has to sit down on what I call a cage. It has to sit completely on that and didn’t seal around it. It keeps the cold air out from under there. And I’ve tried to tell her that the gap is so big, that that ice cold wind goes straight up and under that hot tub, and the heater does not keep off at all on freezing or cold nights.

I have given them a year to do right. I ordered the tub from homedepot.com and not from CalSpas.com. So, when I order it from Home Depot, Home Depot should be the one taking care of me and not tell me to call this one or that one. And nothing gets done, and I’m still sitting here with this messed up hot tub with speakers that go in and out now and sometimes completely off because they’re destroyed by the winter.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Cal Spas is knowingly shipped a damaged and repaired Spas as New. Our Spa has a hole in the recliner which was patch and colored over to match the Spa's Tuscan Sun shell. That color wore off in about 30 days of use and now Cal wants to color the patched spot again instead of replacing the unit. The WiFi on the Spa has never work and Tech support doesn't return phone calls (two Months). Two of the LED lights have already burned out. Overview the Spa was damaged during construction should have never be sold as NEW! Cal Spas should be ashamed to take advantage of their customers! Second Spa will never buy another one from Cal Spas and you should not either!!!

Original review: March 26, 2018

The sales reps of Cal Spas didn’t really pressure and gave us plenty of time to think about it. And we got a great deal. And when they said it would be here in four to six weeks, it was. The people that came in installed our Cal Spas tub quick and easy after we had the electricians come out. They were very helpful in showing us how to keep it clean and where to put the filters and chemicals. It’s easy to clean the filters with chemicals. The model we got fits the area we needed to put it in.

But for some reason the Cal Spa doesn’t wanna hold temperature quite as well when it’s on the economy mode. I know my Sundance Spa actually held better. For some reason the temperature drops a lot faster when I wanna heat it up to go into the spa. But other than that it’s fine. They are responsive and everything else works very well and it’s comfortable. It’s wonderful especially when your body’s a little bit sore and tired and you go on in and it’s very restful. The jets are really well for massage or relaxation. And it’s just very enjoyable to go outside and look at the stars. We love it and we’re very satisfied. Their prices are very comparable and we have good customer satisfaction.

Original review: March 25, 2018

We bought our Cal Spa through Secard pools. When their team came out, they were really friendly and professional. The hot tub has been enjoyable and I use it about once a week. I'm happy with it.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I was above ground pool over at a pool store up here in the desert and decided to buy a spa I saw on sale. The unit came in August, so I have had it for eight months already. The installers were helpful, did good, and set it up right where I wanted it. It took them about an hour and a half or so. It is a nice hot tub and I use it quite often. But, the kids get more use of that better than me. I'm very happy.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I used to buy accessories at Cal Spas when I used to have another hot tub. Then, that one went kaput. I had it a number of years so I did not have one for a while. I have had my Cal Spas hot tub since last October. In the installation, the guys showed up and they set it on the deck for me. They showed me this and that and gave me all the pamphlets too. They were not here very long because I also had my electrician here. I like to go there in the tub once in a while to relax. I can change the heat in this -- the other one only had 110 for power, so it always took a while to heat back up, but this one I put 220 in and I'm very happy with it. It is comfortable to sit in, and I've had another female friend sit in there with me and she really enjoyed it, too.

Original review: March 21, 2018

We bought a Cal Spas for my son. He has cerebral palsy and he needs it for his exercises. It took about two weeks to get there. We placed it halfway in-ground and had the backyard redone. They had dropped it in and it broke one of the panels but they replaced it within three weeks. The only bad thing about it is they told me it would take six weeks but they already had the panel there. They just had other things to do. I had to go pick it up and put it on myself because I don't want to wait. But aside from that everything's good. The tub works and so far my son loves being in it. And if we need someone we’ll go to the place we bought it at. The guy we worked with was Greg and he’s been good.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I've been using my 5-517-PPZ6218 model from Cal Spas for six months now. It has a water feature. And it came with stairs and a cover. I shopped around for price and quality and I thought Cal Spas was the best one. They did a good job installing it. It was down the hill and then they got it up into the deck. They were very well prepared for that and got it done. Since the installation, it makes my spouse's pains feel better and eases life for her. I would tell my friends it's the best quality for the money. And they've all been a very good team for us, as well.

Original review: March 19, 2018

My husband found Cal Spas online and we've used them now for 3 months. It went very smooth when it was installed. Everything was scheduled and showed up and did their thing. It was very easy. Plus the Cal Spas were really good. I definitely recommend them. They’re easy to work with and very helpful.

Original review: March 18, 2018

Cal Spas had high marks in their reviews and I liked their size options. They were the only spa and hot tub provider that had a 78’’ x 84’’ spa and that also had a lounge. I bought a spa from them in July or August last year and it was the Hawaiian 240-volt model. I knew what I wanted going in. My interaction with the reps was okay and it was what I was expecting. They were typical salesmen. I told them what I wanted, then they gave me the price and said that the spa I wanted was on sale. But since I live in snow, it would have been nice, in buying the spa from the get-go, to have them explain and for me to know about getting a heavier duty spa cover because I bought one after-market later. Cal Spas delivered the spa and put it down where I wanted it outside, then I hired an electrician to do all the wiring. Since the installation of the spa, I have liked and enjoyed it. It’s definitely great to have a spa in the backyard and I’d recommend Cal Spas.

Original review: March 17, 2018

I did a lot of researching. I’m looking for hot tubs and where to get them from. Our Cal Spas tub is the first we’ve ever owned. It was an easy installation experience. They came in all and ready into place and that was it. The guy who was there was very good and answered my questions on cost or things like chemicals and how much average it cost a month for heating. He was very informative. And I enjoy my tub every other day. I would recommend it. We have a good experience there and it worked out well.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I’m not really happy with the spa that I got from Cal Spas. They really didn’t help me too much when it came to installing because I got a lot of mixed up information and vibes. We ordered it with not really knowing where we were going to put it. And they wanted me to have the electrician put the electric work in first. And by the time we got around figuring out where to put it we ended up having to have it delivered first so it was kind of a big mess.

All they did was put it in the spot. They didn’t hook up the electric or anything. They told me they have electrician that I can hire. But they do not have an electrician available. It was a biggest mistake I ever made. I wish I never bought the spa. I hate the fact that I can’t stay in the water. They tried to help me with lap weight to hold me down and I couldn’t.

Original review: March 13, 2018

The knowledge and understanding of the team at Cal Spas was awesome. They got us what we were looking for. I got the Commander model and did the installation myself. While it did not go as well as could be expected, it was my fault. Nevertheless, I had a good experience with them.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I bought a Cal Spa last August. I already owned a hot tub at the time and when Cal Spas' installers set my new tub in, I had my old tub moved out and I gave it to a friend. However, I didn't get the response I would have liked from the guy who sold it to me. After they got my money and set the tub up, that guy just shoved me off. I wanted him to be present to help me learn things about the tub. I have had to learn those things myself. That makes me believe that if something goes wrong with my hot tub that I'm going to be pulling teeth to get service after the sale. So I wouldn't recommend Cal Spas.

While my older tub of 10 years was first class and it would probably run longer than my new Cal Spa, I got the new one because it was bigger. My new hot tub is 1,500 gallons. Though I've drained it and it's sitting empty right now, I'm going to be filling it back up in one week and it's going to be making my summer days a lot better. Overall, I'm happy with the product, but the service wasn't that good.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I was buying chemicals from Cal Spas for my old hot tub, which is also a Cal Spas. It was with the house that I bought a little over a year ago. This summer, we traded that tub in on a hot tub from Cal Spas. The purchase of the new one was very easy and quick. The guy who came out and installed the new hot tub was nice. The hot tub works, however, I am having a little bit of a problem with is that the cover was installed on one side, and now it rubs against the house. My old one does not, so I am going to have to call them to come out and fix that.

Also, some of the nozzles are rusting. And I went into Cal Spas and the rep basically told me it was my fault for using chlorine and said to bring some of the heads in. When I bought it, he said chlorine was fine because we were using chlorine in the other one instead of bromine. Also, I literally bought chlorine when I bought the hot tub and they gave me a free bottle of chlorine, too.

So, I'm was like sitting there going, "All right. This is a $10,000 hot tub that I have had for less than a year and you're trying to tell you don't want to fix the problem." I'm like, "I would like someone at my house looking at it. I don't want to start ripping my hot tub apart and bringing parts to this guy." And this is like their main sales guy over at their particular Cal Spas I bought it from. So, now that I own the hot tub, and the way I've been treated since I've owned it, and the Cal Spas that I bought it from, I'd probably never buy another one. The initial experience has been great, but that is not why I buy anything.

Cal Spas expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1979, Cal Spas is an innovator in the hot tub business. The company holds 28 trademarks and 48 design patents. Cal Spa offers a wide variety of patio hot tubs, in-ground hot tubs and Swim Pro swim spas.

• Fountain of Youth™: This trademarked product uses micro-bubbles to increase oxygen levels in the water. Cal Spa states that this hydrotherapy rejuvenates the body and skin.

• Trade in value: Trade in an old hot tub and get money toward a brand new Cal Spas hot tub or swim spa. Use the web form to obtain a free, no-obligation trade-in estimate.

• Exclusive offers: By signing up for the Cal Spas newsletter on the website, consumers gain access to exclusive offers.

• Cal Spas blog: The Cal Spas blog offers advice on hot tub and swim spa ownership and repair, as well as a variety of health-related topics.

• Customer support: Cal Spas offers customer support via phone or email or by using their contact form online.

• Best for: Consumers needing therapy, consumers wanting relaxation and consumers needing exercise.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs