2. Homeowners
  3. Hot Tubs

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.38/5

With over 35 years of experience, Cal Spas is a provider of luxury spas and accessories. We pride ourselves in being a top Global Manufacturer of Home Resort Products.

Innovation and technological advancements are top priorities when crafting Cal Spas products. Built with more standard features and designer appeal, our products are a great addition to any outdoor space.

BOTTOM LINE

Cal Spas offers a range of highly customizable hot tub models with a variety of seating options and jet configurations. All of its hot tubs come with a standard warranty, but pricing estimates aren’t available online.

PROS
  • Customizable jet configurations
  • Warranty on all models
  • Hydrotherapy massage features
CONS
  • No instant trade-in quotes
  • Prices found through local dealers

Top Cal Spas Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cal Spas?

We got the Aqua 730 Lounge. It has the one seat that’s a lounge, and then it has the little lights in it. And the rest are seats and they have the jets on each seat and the lounge. Its quality is excellent.

They're pretty much the best in terms of quality and total protection warranty. And I've had very positive interactions with their reps. I got an eight-foot tub, and the installation was easy except ... It works, and it has a decent power. It has good reliability.

Cal Spas review

Cal Spas' hot tubs feature cutting-edge jet configuration technology that provides a full hydrotherapy session with every soak. The company offers customizable jet configurations, seating and entertainment accessories, including curved-cascade LED waterfalls. Cal Spas' Plug-N-Play hot tubs are easy to use without installing new wiring in your home or condo.

The U-Select option lets customers choose between options for the hot tub's design and seating, including bench seats and lounge seats with spa jets positioned to target both your upper and lower body during a hydrotherapy session. Its Kool seat lets you comfortably acclimate to the temperature when getting in or out of the tub. The company’s patented, stainless steel Candy Cane jets provide different massage options so every soak is satisfying.

Cal Spas models

Cal Spas manufactures three series of hot tubs: Patio, Escape and Platinum. Each series has a selection of models with different seating and jet configurations plus other customizable options. Price ranges vary with each model and series, and the company offers free online quotes upon request.

• Cal Spas Patio collection: The Cal Spas Patio Spa collection offers Plug-N-Play technology that's easy and quick to install with a 110-volt outlet. Popular models include the Round PZ-5112, a six-person hot tub with 11 jets that features a 5.5kW titanium heater and a 5-inch multi-color LED spa light. Another popular hot tub in the Patio series, The Balboa PZ-517L, seats three people and comes with 17 jets.
  • Cal Spas Escape collection The Escape series comes with adjustable controls to personalize each soak. Escape Plus Spas provide a three-pump system with hydromassage technology. The Pacifica EC-739L offers room for six people and has 39 jets. The Tropical EC-739B comes with waterfalls and a perimeter LED lighting package.
  • Cal Spas Platinum collection Cal Spas' Platinum series includes U-Select jet options. The U-Select jet provides hydrotherapy massages for the feet, shins, shoulders, back and neck. One popular Platinum series model, the Huntington PL-772L, seats six people, comes with 72 jets and includes a 20-foot cascade LED waterfall. Other hot tubs in the series have up to 93 jets.

Cal Spa prices

To find out the cost of a Cal Spas hot tub model, request a quote online. Certified Cal Spas dealers near you follow up with more information about the pricing and availability of the spas that interest you.

Most reviews state that Cal Spas are reasonably priced. Costs for entry-level hot tubs cap at around $7,000, and luxury models start at $13,000.

Cal Spas also accepts trade-ins — fill out its online form with information on the series, model and age of your spa to get a competitive, no-obligation trade-in estimate.

Cal Spa accessories

Customers can find a variety of hot tub extras and decor options available with the Cal Metro product line, including hot tub steps, benches, privacy screens, bars and barstools. Cal Spas' covers keep debris out of your hot tub and help it run more efficiently. You can also purchase pillows, headrests, filters and replacement parts. Replacement filters are available online for each hot tub model.

Cal Spas warranty

Depending on the series and model, each Cal Spas hot tub includes:

• A five- or 10-year shell structure warranty
  • A two- or seven-year shell finish warranty
  • A two- or five-year parts warranty
  • A two- or five-year labor warranty
  • A one- or five-year cabinet warranty

The owners' manual provides more detailed information on the warranty you have based on the model you bought. Make sure you understand the warranty included with your hot tub before purchasing it.

Cal Spas FAQ

Where is the Cal Spas factory?
The Cal Spas factory is in Pomona, California.
What is the Cal Spas app?
The Cal Spas app is a tool used by dealers to showcase updated listings and manuals. It also offers helpful troubleshooting guides to help Cal Spas hot tub owners.
How do you reset a Cal Spa?
If your spa is under warranty, you must have all services performed by a spa service tech or risk voiding your warranty. If you’re having a repair issue with your spa, it’s best to call a spa dealer to schedule service.
How much does a Cal Spa cost?
Cal Spas’ prices depend on the model you choose and the features you want. You can request a free quote online to have a certified local dealer contact you directly with pricing and availability.
Are Cal Spas any good?
Cal Spas constructs its hot tubs for strength and durability. Its spas have several features, including:
  • U-Select Hydrotherapy system: This system allows you to select different combinations of jets from ten configurations. The U-Select Hydrotherapy system allows users to target specific muscles and choose different pressure intensities.
  • Adjustable Therapy system: This system offers targeted muscle relief therapy. Seats are constructed to conform to your shape, and the jets are placed along specific lines of the body. Nine different jet pressure levels are available. A motor and control panel allow users to personalize each massage system.
  • Aquatic Air Therapy: Aquatic Air Therapy Jets offer an optimal massage therapy experience for aching muscles and joints. The Flex Jet offers a gentle but firm stream for delicate areas of the body, including the hands, wrists or knees. The Duo Jet is for larger parts of the body, such as the back or shoulders. The Precision Jet uses a combination of air and water to target problem areas.
  • Pro Trainer: The Pro Trainer allows swimmers to adjust all of the jets at once. There are six different speeds of swim currents that offer everything from low-resistance aquatic workouts to more intense training. The Smart Control module has a Swim Pro Workout button that lets swimmers choose from different types of training.
  • Fountain of Youth: This patented hydrotherapy uses micro-bubbles, which increase oxygen levels in the water to energize your skin and increase collagen production. The system also kills bacteria and promotes healing.

Are Cal Spas hot tubs worth it?

Yes, Cal Spas are worth a closer look if you are considering a new hot tub. The company offers a variety of customizable products, including hot tubs and swim spas. However, pricing isn't readily available without a quote from a local Cal Spa dealer, which can slow down your decision-making process. Still, local customer service representatives can help you select the perfect model for your budget.

Cal Spas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cal Spas?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

The people at the Cal Spas showroom were spectacular. Our landscaper drove over to talk to them about how things worked and they helped explain everything to him. The salesman was great and so was the lady in the office that helped us. There was a really good customer service. But the installation part was a little tough. We had ideal conditions in that we had a brand new home built. But the spa is so large that we had to find a crane company to deliver it into our backyard. Luckily no homes had been built behind us yet. What happened was the crane we hired was short and couldn't get in. And the company didn't bring the backup materials to be able to bring the spa to our front yard. They had to come back out another time which meant we had to hire another crane. We got charged a show-up fee for the crane. That was the downside. The delivery was difficult and unorganized.

That aside, our Cal Spas is of extremely good quality. Everything was installed beautifully. We follow the guidelines in the booklet that we got about how often to clean it and maintain it. With that, ours is in excellent shape. We love the fact that we can switch our Cal Spas back and forth between a spa and a swimming pool. In the area we live in, it gets really hot in the summer but we have access to the spa for the rest of the year. We like how it's versatile that way. We also really like that our Cal Spas is large for a spa. When we use it as a spa, we can swim around in the warm water. We really love our Cal Spas and we're glad we bought it.

Get buying tips about Hot Tubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

Cal Spas is a good quality tub for the price. It's probably one of the better quality tubs out on the market. My friend was looking for a hot tub and talked me into buying one when he bought one. We both bought Cal Spas on the same day at the state fair. The installers were very good. They were very professional. It's very frustrating at times because we have it at our lake cabin. You have to be a chemical engineer to keep the water clean, and we're not there all the time. But we enjoy the hot tub.

We also spend a ton of money on chemicals. We don't use it for a week at a time, and sometimes two weeks at a time. It seems like we're pretty good at it if we get up there once a week. But if we don't get up there once a week, then it's like you get a truckload of chemicals and put it in there. I haven't really got anybody to give me any good answers on how to manage that better. I've heard from other people, "Well, you gotta get a saltwater one." I did spoke to the customer service reps and they were like, "Just dump more chlorine in it." So I just learned, "If it don't look great, just dump a bunch of chlorine in it, dump a bunch of oxidizer in it, put a bunch of oil in it." I just wish somebody would invent a feeder system for it and get a combined composite chemical that would work. It would be really cool.

Just before the year was up, I got three LEDs that are out in mine. I called them and they said, "Yup, yup, we'll fix that under warranty." I said, "Rather than come up there in the winter and try to do it in the winter, why don't you wait till next spring?" They said, "Yup, be happy to do that and we'll mark it down." So they marked it down. Then, in the spring when they were ready to come up there, I said, "This is gonna be under warranty. Ain't gonna cost me anything." "Nope, nope. Won't cost you anything except for the trip up there." The trip up there was gonna be $130. I'm not gonna spend $130 on a warranty item. So I still have three lights that are bad. I said, "Well, why don't you give me the lights?" They said, "Well, take out the ones you have and then bring them in." They said that they would give me the lights. I haven't done that yet. Other than that, the quality of the tub is great.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

I've heard a lot about how good Cal Spas was and I just checked out the reviews. They were pretty close to my house at that time and I went down there and bought my first one. And then I bought my second one, and then I got the third one. I bought one a couple of years ago, and it went well. I've had one for many years. I got a new one and that was that my daughter's house. But when I bought this one, everything was perfect. It was a little tight trying to get it through the gate to the backyard, but they did a fabulous job. They had three or four guys and they manhandled that and put it right through there and set it right in the right spot. I then had a little problem, but they came out and fixed it with no problem. Sometimes around the control panel, the LED lights are very bright. So, when you're sitting in the spa and relaxing with the lights off, it's bright. Other than that, I love the features.

Original review: May 15, 2020

I'm originally from California and I've always heard about Cal Spas. My parents had a hot tub Cal Spas when I was growing up. Then we moved to Minnesota early summer two years ago and we decided we wanted a hot tub in our backyard. We looked at the Minnesota State Fair during that timeframe but we weren't really impressed with the deals there so we went to Cal Spas' storefront. I had a nice conversation with the guy there and it was a painless purchase process. We did take some time to make some decisions because we weren't sure if we wanted the extra jets but all in all, we were very pleased with our purchase. When we first got the hot tub, we had an issue getting it hooked up with an electrician but it was not Cal Spas' fault at all.

We finally got it hooked up and we put the water in. They gave us the starter kit of supplies. But water in Minnesota is extremely hard so it took the whole bottle of pH and alkalinity down to get the levels right but they weren't right because we needed more. We were right in the middle of travel so we were worried that our tub was gonna get destroyed. When I called Cal Spas and explained everything to them, they got some pH down together and gave us a couple of bottles on the house. They had it all tied up in a bag and had it all ready to go so that we could just drop by, pick it up with the kids, go home and put it in the tub. Everything ended up turning out just fine.

Then they had the guy come out shortly thereafter to give us the lesson that they offer to new hot tub owners about keeping the chemicals. We had a problem with water and we went in there and one of the gentlemen who worked there told us how to take care of it. It’s been perfect since. I love the hot tub and it's one of the best things that we could have ever invested our money in.

When we first bought it, we got the lounger in our hot tub and we weren't gonna get the extra jets 'cause we were looking at the cost. We wanted to be smart but we also wanted to take advantage of what we were gonna buy. I told my husband that if we were gonna spend eight grand, we might as well get what we want. So we decided to spend the extra $900, get the jets in there and we do not regret it. It is the best thing we've ever done and we love that thing. It was a great investment and it will be with us for as long as we have it. We also asked how much the tub weighed empty because with our jobs, we sign mobility agreements and we may have to move. But it's well under the weight limit of what we would have so we will probably move it with us.

Original review: May 9, 2020

We saw Cal Spas at the entrance of the state fair where we go to. They feel like one of the more reputable companies in the area and we were able to get a pretty good deal on the one we got. Everything is working well. The installation took an hour, and it seemed pretty straightforward. The product we got is spacious. We can easily fit four or six people in there without really any effort. The interface took a little bit of time to get used to but it was not too bad and it's fairly intuitive.

The only thing we found, and we kind of learned this the first winter, was the cost of heating in the winter was pretty extensive and we had it kept to 100 degrees all year and the heating bill went up. It's like $250 to $300 a month just for that winter. So, we dropped this next two years and we really didn't use it that much in the winter. The next two years, we kinda set the temperature down to like 65 or 70. And then the cost went down dramatically. It makes sense but that was something we kinda learned the hard way the first year.

Original review: March 20, 2021

The delivery of our tub was good. But after the crew left, we noticed that there was a big gouge in the wall behind the hot tub. It looked like a screwdriver that was sticking out of somebody's pocket could have easily gouged the wall. We called Cal Spas about that but they never followed up with us on that. My husband ended up giving up about it. The tub itself seems to be fine so far although we're having a water issue right now. We can't seem to remove the cloudiness from the water. We're trying to figure out what's going on there.

Original review: March 5, 2021

The tub got hot water in it. It’s comfortable and a good size. I’m 6’7’’ and it fits me great. It has the lights and stuff in it and that's nice. My kids love playing with that. It’s got that big jet in the middle and the kids also like that.

Original review: March 4, 2021

It has been a great experience with our Cal Spas hot tub. This is our second one and we’ve had it a long time. We had our first one for nine years and it was also a Cal Spas. We go to the store and buy our chemicals and the guys are great to deal with. They always have what we need and they answer any questions that we have. The quality of the hot tub is excellent and that thing is a lifesaver at times when you’re so sore. I already have recommended Cal Spas to people and they thought about getting a hot tub.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

Our tub from Cal Spas has been good, so far. The delivery was excellent. We haven't had any issues with it. It's there and we are able to enjoy it whenever we want. We love it.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

My mom researched different companies and decided that Cal Spas was the one that would meet her needs better. Making the purchase and getting everything installed was an easy process. It probably took a little longer for us because we had to have an electrician out to do the right wiring for the spa. The only issue that we had with the installation was that they didn't have the right hardware to attach the safety arm that covers the top so that didn't get done. But the spa has a good size. It has the lounge spot and the different jets. It's a little tricky sometimes with some of the controls though.

Cal Spas Company Information