It's that easy Request Information
4.25/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

With over 35 years of experience, Cal Spas is a provider of luxury spas and accessories. We pride ourselves in being a top Global Manufacturer of Home Resort Products.

Innovation and technological advancements are top priorities when crafting Cal Spas products. Built with more standard features and designer appeal, our products are a great addition to any outdoor space.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

651 Cal Spas Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I saw the commercials of Cal Spas but a friend of mine purchased from them at the State Fair grounds and recommended them. I got the hot tub from Cal Spas in Woodbury, Minnesota and when I talked to the sales guy, the interaction was fine. I asked him if I could get the state fair pricing that they offered my buddy and any accessories that came with it. They said yes but I had to do it quickly. So, I went there and showed it to my wife who said it looked nice. At the show, they had an additional railing that goes up for beer glasses and when I asked about it, the rep said they didn’t have those anymore so my buddy got more accessories that what we ended up getting. It was kind of a bummer wanting the same thing that my buddy had and it ended up not being the same.

The installation went great and the installers were awesome. I told them where we wanted it and we were given good suggestions.There were no issues at all. The quality of the tub is fine but I used Jacuzzi before and it was easier to keep the water cleaner and pure than it is with the Cal Spas. I still need to contact them to get set up to have the chemical training. I travel a lot, so it’s tough to get that set up so, I’m gonna put that one on me.

Get expert buying tips about Hot Tubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

We purchased a CAL SPAS in July 2018. It was installed and filled and turned on and it immediately tripped the circuit. Installers removed a panel and there was water everywhere inside pouring onto the controls on the control panel side of the tub. turns out Cal Spas shipped the tub with a part of the plumbing installed BACKWARDS... it was fixed immediately by our installer. Two days later the LED lights on the panel side of the tub were out of color sync with the rest of the tub and eventually stopped working completely. Then the lights on the waterfall started doing the same thing. another service call and the connections were fixed. It lasted a week and the waterfall lights were out of color sync again. Another service call to reconnect the wiring.

A day later the lights were out of sync again and on this service call they wrapped things with electrical tape. It lasted a day and it happened again. Emails to Cal Spas went unanswered and we had to get nasty with her seller/service guys. Now there is an entire "dome light" set up on order and they have to replace the whole unit. The hot tub is built cheap and we shouldn't have issues like this, especially for 13k! Hate the tub now because I feel like I got taken for a ride. There have been 5 service calls for a new hot tub and each time I need to take off work and removing decking for the service guys to reach the tub panels. I wasted my money and I feel stupid.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

We were looking for a tub with eight or 10 person seating capacity. We got Cal Spas because of the price point and it got what we wanted. We went to two other ones in the Metro, and Cal Spas also appeared to have the best customer service. They were really easy to work with from a negotiation perspective. When one of our jets broke on the hot tub, they gave us a new one to put in. They didn’t charge us. They just asked us when did we buy the tub. We gave them a date and they gave us what was needed. They’ve been helpful. And during the sales, it wasn’t like a sales environment where they were pushing you to purchase it. It was more of a conversation of what you were looking for.

The installation was good. The installers came and did it all. I was just a little annoyed that when we purchased the tub, they only told us the width, not the height requirement type of thing, and there shouldn’t be any problems to get it through the fence door. But when they came, the tub had to go under our garage and we had to cut a panel out of our fence. It was our own problem to figure it out though. Overall, it was a fine experience. We use the tub two or three times a week and it helps with my shoulder soreness. The jets seemed of good quality too.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

My wife had a hot tub in her previous marriage, and we haven’t had one. She was interested to have one for us. When we were at a state fair, we looked at hot tub brands and we liked Cal Spas. We got this brand because of the material that the tub was made out of and the fact that Cal Spas was located close to where we live. So if we needed service, that wouldn’t be an issue. There was trouble getting the tub under the deck, so I had to help figure out how we were gonna get it in there. We had to dig out part of the ground. They had to call extra guys, and it was a real chore to get the tub in there. But they got it in. And then they cracked one panel when they were putting it in, but they replaced that so that was no big deal.

I'm 63 years old, but I’m a competitive athlete still. So, I use the tub a lot and I love it. It gives me muscle relaxation. It has one giant jet that I use and it’s like getting a massage. It helps my sore muscles quite a bit. Everything has been good with Cal Spas. It’s all been a positive experience and they were really good about showing us how the tub is operated and they kept me going.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

The hot tub that I got from Cal Spas has been pretty good so far. Their reps were able to answer pretty much any questions that I had.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cal Spas?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

The Cal Spas customer service is better than a lot of other hot tub manufacturers. Their team takes care of our problems and they usually answer our questions in a timely manner. I've used Cal Spas for 15 years and just a year ago, I bought a 7-foot by 7-foot tub. It was dropped off and I just told the team where it had to be. Then I put the water in and wired it. Everything went fine as far as I know. And I would buy another tub from Cal Spas and anyone looking into getting one should consider them.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

The sales guy of Cal Spas was good and the installation went well too. Cal Spas has a more modern technology compared to our old tub.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I've seen Cal Spas several times at our state fair, and the people who I talk to that have Cal Spas are usually really happy with them. We ordered the hot tub at the fair and then Cal Spas custom-made it and they brought it in. I love the tub and I use it just about everyday. This is our first hot tub at home, and it's 90 feet by 93. It has a Minnesota winterized package on it because we get really cold during the winter. It has two 240-volt pumps, which are the higher-end pumps.

The hot tub makes my legs and knees feel a heck of a lot better, and the family enjoys it. My wife can come home and sit in her own spa as opposed to one at the club. It has good points and bad points. The bad point being that I have to watch the chemicals in it a lot. It's not really hard for me to do, but I make sure I do check it every couple of days because it's gonna be hard for me to change the water out if it gets very alkalined or the cyanuric acid builds up.

The Cal Spas team was really good. I am having a little bit of a problem right now with a couple of things that got screwed up in the order. I was supposed to have a removal bar and they brought the L-shaped bar, which actually worked to my benefit. But I still haven't got them to come down and put on the brackets for the cover. I've called a couple of times and they said they'll have their service guy call and I've never gotten a phone call. I can slip the top off right now, so I'm using it.

The jacuzzi is on the south side of my house and there are windows there. With the sunlight hitting those windows and refracting back down into the jacuzzi area, the sunlight is warping the panels on the side of the jacuzzi. So I'm gonna have Cal Spas look at it. But from the standpoint of the jacuzzi running and the jets, I love it. I ordered my chemicals from Cal Spas online and they came within 3 days or 2 days tops. So, I was really happy that they came so fast. I would recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

We purchased from Cal Spas back in 1990 and we just bought a swim spa in July of 2017. We had some problems at first. One of the items that I had ordered was not included in the swim spa, so they had to reorder the swim spa, remove it, and deliver a new one. It was a big production but they did it without much problem at all. They did an excellent job. I use the tub about four times a week for relaxing and socials. Their customer service team was fine over a year ago but there was no follow-up. Cal Spas though has a great product and if I had to buy another hot tub or a swim spa, I would go to them first.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I saw Cal Spas in an advertisement and I liked the price. When they installed the Patio Spa, the experience was excellent and there were no complications at all. I bought supplies from their store as well for standard upkeep. I’ve been with them for a little over a year and quality-wise, it has gone over and above my expectations. I would highly recommend them. The spa is great and people should look into buying them.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

We've had our beautiful Cal spa for a year. We got it at the fair. It has jets and it could easily fit eight people. The tub we had before had a table in the middle which I hated. This one is very nice and usable. The guys who came out and did the installation did a good job. The installation was quick and easy. We have no problems with the spa. There's no leaking as well. However, we don't get in it as much as we used to. Still, we're happy with it and now that the hot tub season is coming, using it will be good.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Cal Spas was the most knowledgeable in service among the tub companies that we looked at. We bought their Escape Spa about a year ago and there were no issues with the installation. The Cal Spas team was good with answering a couple of questions I had and their installers were quick, efficient. We use it at least once a week, though not as often as I thought we would. It’s a lot of work keeping the chemicals up, but it’s definitely relaxing.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I bought a sauna and swim spa. Dealer GARY ** (AQUAMAN). REWROTE CONTRACTS. Overcharged along with the fact he will not give original contracts. He has judgments over $91,000.00. BUYER BEWARE. Do your research at the courthouse. I am suing this merchant. He forged my name at the bank then again in court. BUYER BEWARE. Found pic of him as employee of Cal Spas. HUMMM.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I was at Bloomsburg Fair and Cal Spas showed me their cut out. It was a lot deeper for me. I'm a bigger guy, so with their cut out with the fiberglass and wood in there, I figured getting their tub would probably be the best route to go. The warranty is also awesome. The manufacturer is great and the tub works great and I love it. However, the people at the store are **. Wilkes Pools is the one that I'm dealing with and working with them is a lost cause. The service sucks. Also, they gave me different steps. In October, they put in a tub that has their own color. In January, they changed the color of it. But when they did that, they broke a panel. They still haven't come back to repair that and they're not returning my calls.

Wilkes Pools gave me the runaround. I went up to the store one time and tried to talk to them but they acted like they weren't there and that they didn’t wanna hear. The tub is lighter too. Additionally, the documents I have say that the unit should be a three-pump, but what I have only a two-pump. I'm gonna try to call Wilkes one more time, and if they don’t answer this time, I'm calling a lawyer.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I wanted a smaller size spa than I had before and I wanted the lounge thing. When we looked around the whole showroom of the Secard pool store in the area, the Cal Spa that we purchased was the one size and everything I wanted. It's very pretty and it's much easier to maintain than my other one. My other one was mineral and this one is chlorine. However, I'm disappointed in the strength of the jets. I bought the plug and play one but my other one was almost that strong when I had all of them opened and when I switched to just the one I was sitting in. It was almost too strong and it was really good, while the jets of the Cal Spa are not as strong as I expected, but it's acceptable to me.

I was also disappointed with the installation because the people that installed it didn’t know anything about the spa. They asked me which way I wanted to turn it and I said that the step should be where you have the button. It turned out that the side that has the area to grab to get in and the nonskid flooring part ended up against the wall of my house. I barely got someone to come over and turn it for me. They also told me to dump so much chlorine in. I looked at the directions and they had me put way too much chlorine in. I went to the store and complained. The rep there said that the installers don’t know anything and that they just deliver the spa. I told them that I was really disappointed with the service.

Also, there are cup holders over at the lounge chair where I put my feet and not over on the other side. There's an area where I can put my cup, but the actual cup holder is where I'm not even sitting. I miss it though. I've emptied it to get it moved and I haven't had it for a month or so. Nonetheless, I'm happy with my Cal Spa. It totally impacts my life and I enjoyed the relaxation in the evenings before I go to bed.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

My second hot tub is from Cal Spas and I like it better than my old tub. It has more features on it and the jets are different. The tub has been great since it was installed.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I went to the California state fair in 1986 and came home with a Cal Spa. 9 months later moved to VA. My wife and I wore that thing out. After 7 years had to replace the pump cause the impeller shaft rusted out and it leaked water. Then 3 years later I was told to stay out of it if wanted kids as I was killing off all my soldiers in that 103 degree tub. Gave it to my brother in law who used it for another 5 years. I am now looking to purchase another Cal Spa. I see that the Home Depot sells a spa built by Cal Spas. The hunt is on. Soldiers are no longer needed nor wanted.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

We upgraded our Cal Spas tub with a newer model and it has less features than our previous tub. We prefer the old one, which we had for quite a few years and had no drama with. But its cabinet was starting to deteriorate so it was time to upgrade. With the new one, we've been fighting a battle with the water clarity, which is the biggest issue we've had. We also had another issue which Cal Spas warrantied and took care of. We've got a pretty good relationship with the dealer. However, they could have more locations. We live 70 miles away from the dealership and it is not as convenient as it could be to get water samples and stuff.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Cal Spas was recommended to me by a friend and after seeing them at a state fair last year, I got the six-seater hot tub. It's sitting on the patio and I use it for relaxation. The Cal Spas folks delivered and set it in place for me then I had an electrician connect it for me. I also sometimes drive over to Cal Spas to buy my chemicals and the team has been friendly and very knowledgeable.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

A friend told us about Cal Spas. We felt that their spa was a lot sturdier and more heavy-duty built than the others. Their reps were also very nice and they were able to answer the questions we had. We bought a patio spa, they delivered it to us, and we installed it ourselves because we had to pay $500 to have it hooked up and that was a bit expensive. We've had the spa for six months now and we're enjoying it. We use it every day and the kids love it.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

We moved into the house in 2016 and we knew we wanted a spa of some kind. Cal Spas had a gazebo structure and a soft base to put it on, which we had the space to use. It was the full package as well as a high-quality spa. The installation was more involved than the salesman said, but the installers did a bang-up job. They said all we needed was have the site mostly level, but when we arrived there they said it had to be absolutely level. Luckily, where we put the spa was readily accessible and we had a bunch of crushed rocks for resurfacing our backyard. They used that and leveled the site, then they put up the soft base, put the tub on and erected the gazebo. Then we called the electrical guy who finished the hook-up, which was a little more stressful and expensive.

The tub is a beautiful addition to the house. My wife is a nursing assistant and does a lot of lifting in her work. Her back would bother her and I have arthritis in my legs. The tub was wonderful and really helped both of us before I came down with ALS. In addition, the spa store people have been very responsive and good at helping out when we had problems. We're very satisfied with Cal Spas.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I saw Cal Spas at the state fair. Since they have a local retail outlet that was very close to me, I got our hot tub from them. The installation was fine. However, they referred an electrician who came out and unfortunately, I had some electrical problems afterwards that I had the Cal Spas distributor come back. They said the electrician did the wrong job wherein the electrical was installed improperly and I had to get new electronic parts. They also said that it wouldn't be covered by Cal Spas warranty and so I was disappointed.

The people who came back to fix the tub were doofuses. They said they didn't work for Cal Spas and they were a separate company yet it said Cal Spas on the van. I also told them that they were the ones who referred me this electrician and they were saying he did it wrong and so now, I've gotta pay a big bill to replace all these electronics. They said they refer people all the time and that doesn't mean anything. The whole thing was negative and I was unimpressed. They were not really eager to find a solution and just said what it would cost for the part to get replaced. But since I wanted to get the tub back up and running, they replaced the part. Other than that, I'm glad I have the tub. I use it once a week and my family uses about that often.

Original review: July 16, 2018

We've had our Cal Spas for a year now. I like the product and the quality is really good. Their reps have the highest level of knowledge as well.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I love my Cal Spas spa. It's great and has a particular design that I like. Plus, I had a good installation experience. It was interesting since they had to bring a crane put the spa in. It has been with me for one year. Having it is really good and using it is relaxing. I have another Cal Spas product, a swim type style, that I've had for three years. I have an issue with the Bluetooth but I can’t get a hold of anybody. I think they might have closed down one of the stores where I had gotten my Cal Spas from. But they provide great customer service overall.

Original review: July 12, 2018

We bought a Cal Spa nearly 4 years ago for $14,000 and the main selling point was the lovely LED lights, and have had to have it fixed on two occasions. Both times were under warranty but the last problem was caused by the main light according to the technician that repair the main power board. "Common problem with the main light" he stated. We discussed this with the Cal Spas representative here in Adelaide, South Australia, Australia and was sent another main light to discover that it is the completely incorrect. My husband managed to take out the blown light and we started seeking a replacement. Emailed Cal Spas and was first told that the model wasn't a Cal spa and they couldn't help us.

We resent the email with pictures. They then sent us a link to the online ordering and we were offered the incorrect light. We then sent another email stating that the light was the wrong one and included in the email the item number of the light and the Model number of the spa for a third time. We finally got a link to the correct main light and was directed to the online ordering process. Can’t post to Australia from USA so we're unable to use the online ordering process. Another email was sent stating the problem and was told that they would order it on our behalf and wanted a contact phone number. Provided the information.

Received a return email stating that the part had been ordered but on the address for postage was our correct postal address except the country was USA. I sent another email, by this time I was quite frustrated, and was told that the part was no longer available. So at the end of the day, we have no lights on the spa and haven't solved anything. We are unable to locate a main light for the spa and no one at Cal Spas is able to assists us at all. Very disillusioned by the service offered to us. Anybody have an ideas???

Original review: July 11, 2018

We had known someone else who has Cal Spas and we liked their quality. The interaction with their rep was good and if we had questions, they were answered. Everything about their product has been good as well, and it's working the way it’s supposed to. We have used the Cal Spas hot tub for about a year now. The tub has been used for relaxation more than anything else and I like the location of the jets and the aura that the tub provides.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I’m a builder and I’ve been buying Cal Spas for 15 years now. My experience in dealing with their team has been excellent and I've also had an excellent experience in installing the hot tubs. I would highly recommend them.

Original review: May 29, 2018

We just looked at Cal Spas in a showroom and then we bought one spa from them last summer. The delivery guys were great and the quality of the spa is good. However, I've sent them two emails in the last month for a service request and I have not got a response yet.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I saw an advertisement on television for the Cal Spas sale that weekend and I ended up purchasing the large model. It's been a year since I got it and so far I love my product. I’m happy with the service too.

Original review: May 25, 2018

We wanted a larger spa. We researched different spa companies and went to Cal Spas in the end. The interaction with their reps was pretty quick and the installation went fine. The only thing we didn't realize was how much maintenance there would be. We thought we'd be able to higher the floor spa for it but we couldn't. There was a lot more than we expected a little less way. We'd be less likely to recommend above ground spa but as far as Cal Spas, we would recommend it if somebody wanted one.

Cal Spas expert review by Kate Williams, Ph.D.

Founded in 1979, this company is an innovator in the hot tub business, holding 28 trademarks and 48 design patents. This company offers a wide variety of patio hot tubs, in-ground hot tubs and Swim Pro swim spas.

• Fountain of Youth™: This trademarked product uses micro-bubbles to increase oxygen levels in the water. Cal Spa states that this hydrotherapy rejuvenates the body and skin.

• Trade in value: Trade in an old hot tub and get money toward a brand new Cal Spas hot tub or swim spa. Use the web form to obtain a free, no-obligation trade-in estimate.

• Exclusive offers: By signing up for the Cal Spas newsletter on the website, consumers gain access to exclusive offers.

• Cal Spas blog: The Cal Spas blog offers advice on hot tub and swim spa ownership and repair, as well as a variety of health-related topics.

• Customer support: Cal Spas offers customer support via phone or email or by using their contact form online.

• Best for: Consumers needing therapy, consumers wanting relaxation and consumers needing exercise.

Profile picture of Kate Williams, Ph.D.
Kate Williams, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kate Williams, Ph.D. believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase. She spends countless hours researching companies and industries before writing buyers guides to make sure consumers have all the information they need to make smart, informed buying decisions.

Cal Spas Company Information