4.46/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Cal Spas

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

With over 35 years of experience, Cal Spas is a provider of luxury spas and accessories. We pride ourselves in being a top Global Manufacturer of Home Resort Products.

Innovation and technological advancements are top priorities when crafting Cal Spas products. Built with more standard features and designer appeal, our products are a great addition to any outdoor space.

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 13, 2017

525 Cal Spas Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I had a Patio Spa installed by Cal Spas. The installation was a pleasant experience and my dealings with the Cal Spas team have been good. Since my hot tub was installed, I’ve had more relaxation. I’ve had my spa for less than a year and I use it twice a week.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

We've had our house for 17 years and its hot tub was built into the ground. The people we bought the house from said they’ve had a lot of trouble with the old hot tub and they weren't going to put any more money into it. So, we fixed it up and kept it running but it didn't have anything, including bubbles. It was just a hot tub. We then called a company out here, six months ago, to replace it, and they recommended Cal Spas tub. I did a little bit of research online and I liked what I saw about Cal Spas as far as how they compare to other hot tubs. I also like that they're American Made.

We got the Cal Spas, and the company that installed it was Texas Landscaping and they were easy to work with. They came in, removed one of my fence panels, took the old bath tub out, filled in the hole that it left and put concrete and rebar in there to put the new spa on top. Nearly all of that happened while I was at work. By the time I got home the fence panel was replaced and the tub was installed and running. All that it took at that point was for them to give me about a 10-minute spa school, and it's been easy ever since.

We use the hot tub quite a bit, so it's been nice. The tub is easy to use, control, keep clean and maintain. It's a lot better with all the jets and controls and its lights work. It's also above ground and I've been happy with the way that it filters, the way it stays clean and with its simple operation as far as operating the jets. I also haven't had to do a whole lot with the tub to keep the chemicals balanced.

The hot tub also has a temperature feature that keeps the temperature at a certain range. And during the summer we could never get the temperature of the hot tub down below about a 105. So, I called Texas Landscape and they said that it was because of the cover that's on the tub. it's over a hundred degrees where we're at, so there's no place for the heat to go. It's not like the heating element isn't heating the hot tub up. It's just the ambient heat in the air. I was told to set some kind of a little can to prop up one side of the cover to release some of that heat. After that, the heat got regulated perfectly.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I was looking for spas and went to one of the places that sold spas. Cal Spas seemed like the one with better cushion. I also like the size. I did a little bit of research and the price was solid for the size, and with the nano-jets that was put on. So the value and jet layout got me decided on buying it. They did a good job bringing it to the house, then we installed it ourselves and ended up tweaking the water depth. We have it for about a year now and we’ve used it plenty of times. It’s nice and comforting to have in the backyard. The jets made for them are really good. It does the back massage and a good foot massage, ad it's also got the lighting too. It’s been a solid product, the experience was good and I’d recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

We’ve had Cal Spas for about 10 years now. We had their old hot tub and then we recently bought and installed a new one. Installation went real well and everything is working good. And the guys were very pleasant. They kept everything clean, they didn’t rough anything up and they worked very quickly. Our new Cal Spas tub sits on top of the deck and my wife uses it more than I do. Overall, they’re a good company and I enjoy doing business with them.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I lived in San Bernardino all my life. I live in Highland now, but I used to go there, get chemicals and always drive by and see all the displays Cal Spas had in the pools so I was familiar with the company. Everything was perfect from when I went in and bought my spa up to installation. The rep gave me the price and explained everything. I got a five-seater spa with lights, stereo, and radio. It's really nice. However, I’ve been busy and haven't been able to use it as much as I'd like to, but every time I'm in it, I thoroughly enjoy it. My daughter and son-in-law enjoyed it as well.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cal Spas?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

The first time I bought a tub from Cal Spas was in 1994, then I bought another one a few months back. They were installed in two different houses but we still have the older tub and it's still working. The installation went extremely well with the new tub. They had to get a crane to lift it over my house and drop it under a deck, but that went smoothly. We had an arrangement with our crane operator so it wasn't too expensive. It's portable and has a good lighting system and lounge chair on it. The jet seemed to be good too. Plus, it has Wi-Fi and you could control it remotely. The local guys here in the twin cities are excellent and they do a great job. And I actually repurchased because of the quality of the local representation. Plus, the product is good. I have recommend them to friends.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

We were looking for Cal Spas and we’ve been to several different places. We checked out Hot Tub Warehouse and ended up picking them. It was the best price and value. Chet, the guy who runs the place, was wonderful. He explained everything and made it really easy. So we got it and had it installed. We had to widen our fence, then we tore up our patio and made more of a rectangular long patio that goes to the back part of the yard. And the guys came in and set it up and they were wonderful. We’ve poured the cement where it's sitting and got a little house for it too, which is for winter.

We got it in May and I love it. We’re in it almost every night, except for when it’s really hot. We have all the colors and this funky little mopping waterfall thingy. My husband wanted the more powerful motor, so we have two levels or two something motor. We also have three buttons on the right-hand side and three buttons on the left-hand side for programming it. It has the MP3 player capability and speakers too.

Because I’m a lot older, the only issue I had was learning how to program it. I don’t like their book. I went online to YouTube, and there’s a perfectly good video that shows how to program it. Plus I worked with Chet. He’s my buddy. Every time I have a question, I call him and he tells me what to do. We’ve only had a few stupid beginner issues. And he was very patient with me and explained things. We were so pleased. The spa also got all kinds of warranties. I’m not anticipating anything happening, but if they do, I’ll just call Chet and I’m sure he’ll take care of it. I’m thrilled, and I recommend.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Cal Spas was recommended to me and I've been using their product for six months now. I'm pleased with how they helped me through the sale and the set-up. It was a painless sales experience and they were extremely courteous during the installation. They’re a great organization and my experience with them has been fantastic. I would refer somebody else to them.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Cal Spas has been my hot tub provider since March. The delivery went really well and they were very good during the installation. They took their time and did a real good job. However I didn't get a whole lot of training on the chemicals. That was disappointing. I had to learn all that on my own.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

Cal Spas offers great value, quality, and service. This was the first time we’ve ever gotten a hot tub. My wife and I had looked at different places for a hot tub and we've checked the prices, how we're paying, and what we would get. We found Hot Tub Warehouse which was a dealership for Cal Spas in the Santa Clara area. We looked them up on the internet and drove down there to take a look. I got the Patio Plus Spa and it seemed like the best choice for me. It has an interior sterling color with a gray cabinet. The rep who sold me the hot tub was a good guy. He was also honest about the product.

Overall, I was pretty happy with the delivery. The delivery guys were professional. They took the hot tub in the backyard, set it down, and put it up. They didn’t hook it up, but I already had plans to do the rest by myself. The hot tub is great and I’m pleased with its performance. I use it every other day ever since I got it up and running after I got it hooked up. But it would be a great option to have if Cal Spas offer future models with a feature that would allow water to be hooked up to the hot tub so we can have a heated outdoor shower. There’s plenty of room in the cabinet to have the equipment in there. Since they’re drawing off of the same 240-volt hookup, Cal Spas might as well parallel into that.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

We bought a hot tub from Cal Spas about 19 years ago at a local home and garden show from which we purchased a new one recently. In a home and garden show, the sales reps like to cut deals and that's why we go. We're return customers and we looked at other brands when we were shopping. We figured we got 19 years out of the first one and we're going to go with another 19. The original tub was a high-end tub when we bought it and it had about 12 jets. Now the new tub has about 40 jets so it’s better and it's a whole different world. When I had a problem with one of the jets after I had it installed, I called up the guy and he talked me through how to repair it over the phone and it worked out great. We’re really happy with our Cal Spas tub and we like going in it several times a week.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Our pool installer told us about Cal Spas. When we went to the store, they didn’t have a ton of selections. The delivery team was also in a hurry and they didn’t take the time to make sure I understood things. They were just giving me a lot of information and kind of threw it at me because they had other spas to deliver. The installation process was easy, though. We’re enjoying the hot tub too, but we don’t use it at times. We have the hot tub since May and it’s been a hot summer, so hopefully, we’ll use it more as the weather cools down. I am learning how to work with the chemicals. I get the chlorine awfully high sometimes and I have to correct it.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Cal Spas has been around for many, many years in California. We go to the county fair down in LA and I can’t remember not knowing about them. One time, they were in my area and had Cal Spas on sale. It was a nice spa with adequate features and it was what we were looking for to replace our old one. They gave me a good price for a spa of that size so I bought it. Since they just dropped it off and gave me a starter kit that had some chemicals, I hired a guy and a crane to put it in place. It was me who put in all the wiring as Cal Spas didn’t do that.

My previous spa had a door that I opened up with a little key and it gave me access to all of the control, the pump and the wiring. With this spa, you have to take the panels off and that’s a little cumbersome since they don’t just come apart. You have to basically unscrew the whole side to get into the control panel and install the wiring. Also, when my wife and I sit in there, it has two sides and they’re on two different pumps. So the right side, you push the jets one, it turns on the right side jets. We turn jets two and it turns on the left side jets. But they don't always come on. And then I try to adjust it so that it blows hard and it's sort of hit and miss.

When I turn on that right side jets, they come on as if it's just circulating water. It doesn't come and blow real hard like in a massage. Maybe there's something funky there that I haven't looked at or maybe I'm just not familiar with the spa like I should be. That's why I haven't called them yet. Lastly, the computer system on the spa is a little confusing when setting it up for the time. My wife does the timing when it comes on to just run like an hour a day and I manage the chemicals. But it's not bad. The spa got a nice, little-lighted system on it and I like it well enough.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I was stopping by all kinds of places and one had Cal Spas on the showroom floor. I made them an offer but it was turned down. I called them back the next day before I pulled the trigger on another one. The salesman, Don, was just excellent. Knowing that I was a salesman too and had my own business, he didn’t try and overall sell the product. Instead, he got down and heard my offer. He said he will call the main guy and see what he can do. It worked out. My purchase was delivered and dropped off. I had it all hooked up. Overall, I love the spa and I sit in there a couple of times a week even when I’m not too stressed.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

We had hot tubs from Cal Spas for a total of 14 years. The previous one went way over the limit it should have and died so we replaced it. Their employees have all been good but we had to hire someone to do the electrical part and they've done well. The new hot tub is better and has a new jets option.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

The installation of our Cal Spas tub was slam dunk. It was very easy. There was a scratch on it but the company came out and stood by their product and gave us a whole new panel so we’ve had a great experience with them. It is an excellent company to work with. We used to own a Softub and in comparison to that this one’s larger, a four-person seater type. Our Cal Spas tub is also a little bit more complicated to take care of but we love it. My husband uses it every day. He’s had five back surgeries so it helps him greatly. Even our grandkids use it. When this one ever dies I would like a six-seater tub. So a little bigger one still but this is good right now.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I heard about Cal Spas from a friend and because of his experience, it made it easier for me to make the decision to purchase from them. The last one Cal Spas we had held up quite well and service was good. We replaced it though because when we lost power for a while, the pipes froze and broke. So we’re a return buyer and we’ve had our second spa for five months now.

Their representatives have been good. The gentleman who came out and gave me my tutorial on my new tub did a great job. And I had a good experience also with the salespeople at the fair because we bought it through the state fair the second time. Anybody that we’ve been in contact with has been very helpful and so, it made it easy to do it. But our biggest nightmare was trying to find somebody who would do it especially since we had a gazebo and you’ve got to tear out a wall to get the old tub out and get the new tub in. Most carpenters want to do remodels and new houses and not come spend a day doing a project. My one complaint with my tub though was they took out the handle on my new spa which is similar to the old one I had. I’m a short person and getting in the tub is easy but when you’re all wet and slippery trying to get out without a handle to hang on to is a pain. But other than that, it was a good experience.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Cal Spas had a trade-in option and we traded our old spa with them. We chose them as their spas seem well-built. The salesman was good. He explained the product and answered all our questions. And the installation itself was pretty easy. I had all the wiring in the house so it was basically wired up like my old spa. So far, everything has been working good. It doesn’t seem like I have to put much chemicals in the water and it is way better than our old spa.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I purchased my third spa from this store in Bakersfield about 2 years ago. The owner is awful. Never returns calls, service is completely forgotten after the purchase. He hired these awful guys to install the tub then they left a scratch on the outside. I had to reorder that panel and get someone else out to install it. I complained to main office. They could care less. The jets actually are on the weak side. For the price you pay on these tubs you should great service and a good product.

Original review: June 13, 2017

We have a Cal Spa for over a year now. It’s just really relaxing and it takes the stress away. Maybe it also helps my bones since I’m getting older. However, I've had some instances where the vent switch will go from 104 to 80. I then have to hit the buttons again. I don’t know if it’s a malfunction.

Original review: May 13, 2017

We got our Cal Spas tub delivery on the first of November and the delivery folks were phenomenal. I installed it myself and it's the second one I've done. I had the old tub for 15 years when we upgraded it and I hope the brand new Cal Spas one would do a lot better. I’m happy with the it and I enjoy soaking in it every other night. The only time I’m at the Cal Spas store is when I need chemicals and the people down there are good and don’t try to upsell me. They got a record of what tub I got and they tell me what I need.

Original review: May 12, 2017

Cal Spa's pricing made me decide to go with them. I got an 8 person tub with 56 jets. The Cal Spas team set it up and they were fine. Since then we've used the tub once every two weeks.

Original review: May 11, 2017

My wife and I were shopping for hot tubs and happened to go to the state fair. We saw Cal Spas and we visited a number of different manufacturers. The Cal Spas team came and helped us with the first start up. So they did a very good job with follow up. What’s interesting about that is some of the printed instructions were not as clear as when the guy came out and explained to us. To sum it up, they are friendly, easy to deal with, and very helpful. I get what I pay for and so far, it's been pretty good with them.

Original review: April 5, 2017

I've talked to a couple of different people that I know that have Cal Spas and they really like them so I bought a regular patio spa about six months ago. The construction portion was pretty quick. I was a little confused with how to set it up properly chemical-wise but I was able to figure it out just through the paperwork that came with it. I’ve called Cal Spas twice and they’re very friendly.

Cal Spas response

Hi Jeffrey! We love being able to help customers like you. Cal Spas appreciates you and your business. We craft our spas just so that you can enjoy the spa lifestyle like how it was meant to be appreciated. Enjoy!

Original review: April 3, 2017

My situation was a little complicated and I told the dealer that it would be a good idea to have the installers come out as they might have trouble bringing the old Cal Spa out and the new one in. I knew it was gonna have to go over the house. I have a steep driveway and it was pretty tight then the deck had been built around the old spa so I wanted them to look at it and have a strategy. And then both the installers and the crane operator looked at the situation on Google Earth and said that it won’t be a problem.

They got out there the day we had scheduled to do it the first time and the guys who were going to do the work didn’t get consulted. They looked at it and said that they can't do it as they don’t have enough people and the right equipment. I showed the woman at the dealership pictures of how the area looked and she did not share those with the guys who were gonna be doing the installation. I took a half day off work to be there while they did this and then they couldn’t do it.

The installers said the things that they have to do and so we rescheduled it for the second time. They then had the extra guys and the extra equipment they needed to get the old one out. The crane operator who was also there the first time brought a bigger crane and he was very nice about it. He offered to do it at the original quoted price which I ended up paying him more for because I knew he had to come out twice. Basically, it cost everybody extra time because the pertinent information didn’t get passed along to the people who were gonna have to do the work on the ground.

Then the Cal Spas that I had before was very roomy and it ran really well. I would put in a couple of teaspoons of chemicals and chlorine every week and it would stay nice and clear. With the new one, it's the same water that I put, however, it’s cloudy all the time and I’m using more chlorine on it and I don’t quite understand that. I wanted to call the dealer and see what they thought about it. If there is somebody that could give a technical advice that could call me back and discuss that particular issue with me, that would be nice. But it’s working fine. I used my old spa a whole lot and now I use the new one a lot as well. I do a lot of hiking and it’s great to come back after a six-hour hike and be able to drop into the bathtub so it’s awesome.

Cal Spas response

Hi Debra! We are so happy that you are enjoying your new Cal Spas hot tub! Please enjoy your spa!

Original review: March 27, 2017

The Cal Spas store was fine and the guy was good. I got a five-seater with one big pump in the middle and they installed it for us. That was pretty easy and everything was fine. There was a little problem with the spa and the guy came back about a month later and fixed one of the sidings. I'm also having a little bit of trouble with the lighting system. It's flickering when you select a different mode of light and it does that once in a while. It's been happening a little bit more often and I was gonna call them about that. But the tub is a little better than the one we used to have. This one's pretty good so far so were happy with it. We've had it for four months now and I'd recommend it.

Cal Spas response

Hi Gaetan! We are so happy that you are enjoying your spa and recommend it to others! We love making sure our customers have the best spa experience! Please enjoy your Cal Spas hot tub!

Original review: March 25, 2017

Our Cal Spas tub was too expensive to repair so we bought a new one. It was going to be a similar size and Cal Spas seemed like a brand we trusted and we're pretty happy with it, so we got our tub from them again. It was an enjoyable experience and they were helpful when we needed help. Their team was great and very knowledgeable. They even came out and validated something for us. So, the whole after-sales experience was very good.

Cal Spas response

Hi Drew! We're very happy that you were able to enjoy your spa! Cal Spas loves customers like you! Enjoy that hot tub for years to come!

Original review: March 24, 2017

I like that Cal Spas are made in the USA and they were reasonably priced. I got a spa that sits on our concrete patio. The kids have had fun having friends over so it’s been nice for entertaining. It’s also good relaxing time together as a family. However, I don’t like the maintenance part. I had no idea I was gonna get into that. It has added a layer of stress in my life. Before we bought the spa, I asked a guy at the State Fair what kind of maintenance does it need, and he got out the two scoops of the chlorine that you put in after you use it and said, “There. That’s it. Now you’re done.” He didn’t really explain that twice a week you’re down there practically being a chemist, measuring water levels and adjusting.

Cal Spas response

Hi Jean! We are very happy to have you as a customer. Please know that Cal Spas will always support America and that each of our spas is proudly made in America for people like you. Enjoy our quality American craftsmanship as you relax in your spa!

Original review: March 22, 2017

We bought our house in May of last year, moved in, and there's a tub from Cal Spas. It was still running but was ancient old. We knew that it was still working and ticking long, but it was drawing a lot of electricity. We wanted it replaced so we went in at the store and had some questions about stuff as far as where we should keep it for temperature. They came out and did a walkthrough with us to explain the cycles and all of that stuff, which was really nice and informative. During installation, we had to take down one of the walls since we had an enclosed deck, which we had done previously. The installation guys were awesome and they came all the way around the back of the house, got the tub up onto the deck, asked where we wanted the tub, and put it in place. The Cal Spas hot tub is awesome and we love it. We use it a couple of times a week. We live in Minnesota and it's really nice to chill out the bones. Everything has been fantastic.

Cal Spas response

Cal Spas is so happy that you are enjoying your spa! We value you as a customer and know that you will love living the Cal Spas lifestyle now that you have your own hot tub!

Original review: March 15, 2017

We bought a six-person Cal Spas hot tub and Secard Pools in Lancaster took very good care of us. They were right on the money and when they said they were delivering, they had it done. The hot tub is great for my back. I don't hurt as much and neither does my husband 'cause we're both older. It's also nice to go out and get in the tub on a weekend morning.

We've used Cal Spas for 22 years. They're very dependable. When we were first setting up the tub, I had an electrician friend who wasn't quite sure how to do certain things to the wiring. We got a hold of technicians and they were quite helpful. When they said they're going to call back in a few minutes, they did within five minutes with the proper answers so they were quite efficient.

Cal Spas response

Hello Irene! We are so happy you enjoy your spa! We know it will continue to make you happy for years to come!

Cal Spas Company Information