Call toll free
(844) 204-1974
4.30/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

With over 35 years of experience, Cal Spas is a provider of luxury spas and accessories. We pride ourselves in being a top Global Manufacturer of Home Resort Products.

Innovation and technological advancements are top priorities when crafting Cal Spas products. Built with more standard features and designer appeal, our products are a great addition to any outdoor space.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

661 Cal Spas Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

We've had the basic six-person Cal spa for a year and it sits outside. It has 20-some jets and it's been really good for relaxation. Everything went great during its installation.

Get expert buying tips about Hot Tubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

We first heard about Cal Spas through the state fair, and we decided to get one since we owned a spa in the past. It fits six people and there are a number of jets from the installation. I use it five times a week and it's therapeutic.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Cal Spas had a good price and the package deal was really nice. They have the ability to look up the model number and know exactly what I needed. We got the 7x7 model and they did a great job setting it up, getting it in place, and then letting us know about the treatment and what to do with it. We enjoy having it on our deck. It’s nice to have something you can go out to at night just to blow off steam at the end of the day. It’s very relaxing.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I replaced a spa and went with Cal Spas. Dealing with their customer service was pleasant and easy. I literally pulled up the freeway, walked-in and made a deal. The hot tub had to go in an existing hole in the ground, so Cal Spas connected me with a carpenter that came. The crew dropped it off, and another carpenter finished the rest of the install. The product is beautiful and it’s working. I’m happy now that I have it and the experience is going great.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

We liked the deepness of the Cal Spas hot tub and decided on getting the product. Cal Spas' sales guys were great and we dealt with a nice, helpful guy. After they put the tub in the spot, I had my electrician come out to do the rest, and the install went perfect. The tub is a nice part of our life now and I love it. My wife uses it daily and I use it a couple of times a week, too. We like having it. Cal Spas is one of the better spas, and I'd tell my friends to get one.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cal Spas?

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

We were pretty straightforward when we bought from Cal Spas. We had hot tub for over 15 years, so we really knew what we wanted. So we just went in there, told them what we wanted, and to give us their best price and to deliver hot tub. We did the transaction under 30 minutes flat. Their team pulled the old tub out and dropped the new one in, and I wired it all up. It was a hard installation, so I had to go up there and help them get it up the hill, but other than that, it was all fine. I’ve recommended Cal Spas to one of my friends, and then he bought a tub three months later.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

We bought a hot tub from Cal Spas in 2017. We lived up in the desert and there were not too many choices available up there, that was why we went with them. We got the one with a four-person seating, the jets, and the lights. It had a cover on it with a bar that assists you to lift the tub. We had someone come out and install the tub for us. But I had the electrical done myself. We also had a friend of ours do it for us because one complaint I would have about Cal Spas is that they don’t do any electrical work. Even so, the installers were professional, fast and we didn’t have to clean up after them, which is always a plus. It was a good experience. We didn’t have any problems.

We moved away from the house so we don't have the tub anymore, but I loved having it. It was great. The kids also liked it when they came over. We had a barbecue out there and it was nice. I would tell others that Cal Spas was easy to work with and they have a good selection. I would also tell them that the people from Cal Spas helped us pick out the tub.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I was looking at all the different hot tub manufacturers and I did some research on the internet. Cal Spas is a larger company and if I had any issues with my spa, I wanted someone to be there in the future, to be able to fix my problems so I went with them. I got the Escape spa and I've been using it for a year now. I like the size of the hot tub, how many jets there were and how large of a company Cal Spas is. The installation experience was good. Their reps were professional and knew what they were doing. In the past, I have had problems trying to get a hold of somebody in there and that’s the only issue.

Overall, it was a good experience. But the one issue I had with Cal Spas is trying to figure out how to use my computer on the spa, how to make it where it can be on for four or six hours at this period, and six hours at another period. That was the hardest part about having the spa. I complained about it and nobody went out of their way to help me out. Nobody came over and told me how to do it. That was my biggest beef with this whole thing. Nevertheless, Cal Spas hot tub has made my life more enjoyable. I’m a driver for a living. So after driving all day, it sure feels nice to come home and relax in my hot tub. In the colder weather, I’m not utilizing it that much. Otherwise, I usually use it everyday. It’s got a lot of jets, waterfall and lighting. It’s the largest hot tub they sell. It’s a foot larger than the rest.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I live in Southern California and Cal Spas was everywhere. It’s a name we’re familiar with and my husband selected it. We bought a 2017 Patio spa. It says 735B Cal Gazebo. The installation was fine and the people who came were on time and professional. They set everything up for us.The salesperson was great at first, then it just went downhill. We bought it at the fair in September and I was approved for credit. Then, I received a letter in the mail what the monthly payments are. We discussed at the fair that there would be no interest for the first six months so we got it.

When we were already setting up the delivery, the salesperson said that my application didn’t go through. So, I said I didn’t want the spa. Then he said he hasn’t really checked. I said it was okay. It was not meant to be. He said he had my social right there, he put it in and that everything was taken care of. I said I told him that I didn’t want the spa anymore and he said they had already set up the delivery date. I called back and complained to somebody about it. He did it under a wrong name so I said it was fine and told him to forget it. But he must have submitted my application again and it went through the second time. It was weird to me too, like, they have lost it, and they still wanted to make the delivery. It wasn’t even saying anything in my credit either. I have a credit report, like a monitoring and it didn’t even show up. Still, it was delivered. They must have lost my paperwork.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

We had a hot tub that was aging, it was over 10 years old, and we knew it was getting close to the time to replace it. So, we popped in Cal Spas' display at the state fair in Minnesota. There was a sales representative there that noticed us, introduced themselves and asked us if we had any questions. We began to discuss our situation with them and made the decision to purchase. Their installation team showed up at the appropriate time. I had removed the old hot tub from behind the house and had it sitting on the cement slab in front of our house when they got there. They were equipped with their dollies to take the new hot tub and bring it into the backyard. They put it on the slab where I had prepared a spot for it and installed the cover. They removed the old hot tub from the front yard, made sure everything was okay and they left like they said they would. I was happy.

It has been a year now. Last September, we visited the Cal Spas exhibit at the state fair again. We were hoping to let somebody know how happy we were with our purchase. We stood around for a while, hoping someone would come to talk to us. But we were ignored, so we left. Some friend of ours also went to the state fair this year and visited the Cal Spas exhibit there. They also had the same experience and didn't seem to get anybody's attention. They ended up going down to the jacuzzi exhibit and purchased a jacuzzi hot tub.

Within two months of us owning it, a PVC fitting at the base of where the filter was attached in the filter compartment came loose. It just separated from the hot tub and the filter came forward into the surface. We called Cal Spas and they seem to be aware of this issue, almost like it was a common thing. They sent me a part which I installed. We paid almost twice as much for it than we did for our previous hot tub, which we had running for 10 years straight. It was on 24/7, 365 days a year and we had absolutely no problems with it, with the exception of the bearings going bad, which is a normal thing, and a couple of jets loosening up and not staying in.

When the screw fitting on the base of the filter separated, we had to replace two filters which were extremely expensive. They are 80 bucks a piece, where I'm just used to spending in the lower 30s for the old hot tub. Cal Spas replaced one filter for me though when I went to the store and complained about it. I like the spa and it seems to be a quality tub, but I don't have the brand loyalty with Cal Spas that I thought I would develop.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I saw the commercials of Cal Spas but a friend of mine purchased from them at the State Fair grounds and recommended them. I got the hot tub from Cal Spas in Woodbury, Minnesota and when I talked to the sales guy, the interaction was fine. I asked him if I could get the state fair pricing that they offered my buddy and any accessories that came with it. They said yes but I had to do it quickly. So, I went there and showed it to my wife who said it looked nice. At the show, they had an additional railing that goes up for beer glasses and when I asked about it, the rep said they didn’t have those anymore so my buddy got more accessories that what we ended up getting. It was kind of a bummer wanting the same thing that my buddy had and it ended up not being the same.

The installation went great and the installers were awesome. I told them where we wanted it and we were given good suggestions.There were no issues at all. The quality of the tub is fine but I used Jacuzzi before and it was easier to keep the water cleaner and pure than it is with the Cal Spas. I still need to contact them to get set up to have the chemical training. I travel a lot, so it’s tough to get that set up so, I’m gonna put that one on me.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

We purchased a CAL SPAS in July 2018. It was installed and filled and turned on and it immediately tripped the circuit. Installers removed a panel and there was water everywhere inside pouring onto the controls on the control panel side of the tub. Turns out Cal Spas shipped the tub with a part of the plumbing installed BACKWARDS... it was fixed immediately by our installer. Two days later the LED lights on the panel side of the tub were out of color sync with the rest of the tub and eventually stopped working completely. Then the lights on the waterfall started doing the same thing. Another service call and the connections were fixed. It lasted a week and the waterfall lights were out of color sync again. Another service call to reconnect the wiring.

A day later the lights were out of sync again and on this service call they wrapped things with electrical tape. It lasted a day and it happened again. Emails to Cal Spas went unanswered and we had to get nasty with her seller/service guys. Now there is an entire "dome light" set up on order and they have to replace the whole unit. The hot tub is built cheap and we shouldn't have issues like this, especially for 13k! Hate the tub now because I feel like I got taken for a ride. There have been 5 service calls for a new hot tub and each time I need to take off work and removing decking for the service guys to reach the tub panels. I wasted my money and I feel stupid.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

We were looking for a tub with eight or 10 person seating capacity. We got Cal Spas because of the price point and it got what we wanted. We went to two other ones in the Metro, and Cal Spas also appeared to have the best customer service. They were really easy to work with from a negotiation perspective. When one of our jets broke on the hot tub, they gave us a new one to put in. They didn’t charge us. They just asked us when did we buy the tub. We gave them a date and they gave us what was needed. They’ve been helpful. And during the sales, it wasn’t like a sales environment where they were pushing you to purchase it. It was more of a conversation of what you were looking for.

The installation was good. The installers came and did it all. I was just a little annoyed that when we purchased the tub, they only told us the width, not the height requirement type of thing, and there shouldn’t be any problems to get it through the fence door. But when they came, the tub had to go under our garage and we had to cut a panel out of our fence. It was our own problem to figure it out though. Overall, it was a fine experience. We use the tub two or three times a week and it helps with my shoulder soreness. The jets seemed of good quality too.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

My wife had a hot tub in her previous marriage, and we haven’t had one. She was interested to have one for us. When we were at a state fair, we looked at hot tub brands and we liked Cal Spas. We got this brand because of the material that the tub was made out of and the fact that Cal Spas was located close to where we live. So if we needed service, that wouldn’t be an issue. There was trouble getting the tub under the deck, so I had to help figure out how we were gonna get it in there. We had to dig out part of the ground. They had to call extra guys, and it was a real chore to get the tub in there. But they got it in. And then they cracked one panel when they were putting it in, but they replaced that so that was no big deal.

I'm 63 years old, but I’m a competitive athlete still. So, I use the tub a lot and I love it. It gives me muscle relaxation. It has one giant jet that I use and it’s like getting a massage. It helps my sore muscles quite a bit. Everything has been good with Cal Spas. It’s all been a positive experience and they were really good about showing us how the tub is operated and they kept me going.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

The hot tub that I got from Cal Spas has been pretty good so far. Their reps were able to answer pretty much any questions that I had.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

The Cal Spas customer service is better than a lot of other hot tub manufacturers. Their team takes care of our problems and they usually answer our questions in a timely manner. I've used Cal Spas for 15 years and just a year ago, I bought a 7-foot by 7-foot tub. It was dropped off and I just told the team where it had to be. Then I put the water in and wired it. Everything went fine as far as I know. And I would buy another tub from Cal Spas and anyone looking into getting one should consider them.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

The sales guy of Cal Spas was good and the installation went well too. Cal Spas has a more modern technology compared to our old tub.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I've seen Cal Spas several times at our state fair, and the people who I talk to that have Cal Spas are usually really happy with them. We ordered the hot tub at the fair and then Cal Spas custom-made it and they brought it in. I love the tub and I use it just about everyday. This is our first hot tub at home, and it's 90 feet by 93. It has a Minnesota winterized package on it because we get really cold during the winter. It has two 240-volt pumps, which are the higher-end pumps.

The hot tub makes my legs and knees feel a heck of a lot better, and the family enjoys it. My wife can come home and sit in her own spa as opposed to one at the club. It has good points and bad points. The bad point being that I have to watch the chemicals in it a lot. It's not really hard for me to do, but I make sure I do check it every couple of days because it's gonna be hard for me to change the water out if it gets very alkalined or the cyanuric acid builds up.

The Cal Spas team was really good. I am having a little bit of a problem right now with a couple of things that got screwed up in the order. I was supposed to have a removal bar and they brought the L-shaped bar, which actually worked to my benefit. But I still haven't got them to come down and put on the brackets for the cover. I've called a couple of times and they said they'll have their service guy call and I've never gotten a phone call. I can slip the top off right now, so I'm using it.

The jacuzzi is on the south side of my house and there are windows there. With the sunlight hitting those windows and refracting back down into the jacuzzi area, the sunlight is warping the panels on the side of the jacuzzi. So I'm gonna have Cal Spas look at it. But from the standpoint of the jacuzzi running and the jets, I love it. I ordered my chemicals from Cal Spas online and they came within 3 days or 2 days tops. So, I was really happy that they came so fast. I would recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

We purchased from Cal Spas back in 1990 and we just bought a swim spa in July of 2017. We had some problems at first. One of the items that I had ordered was not included in the swim spa, so they had to reorder the swim spa, remove it, and deliver a new one. It was a big production but they did it without much problem at all. They did an excellent job. I use the tub about four times a week for relaxing and socials. Their customer service team was fine over a year ago but there was no follow-up. Cal Spas though has a great product and if I had to buy another hot tub or a swim spa, I would go to them first.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I saw Cal Spas in an advertisement and I liked the price. When they installed the Patio Spa, the experience was excellent and there were no complications at all. I bought supplies from their store as well for standard upkeep. I’ve been with them for a little over a year and quality-wise, it has gone over and above my expectations. I would highly recommend them. The spa is great and people should look into buying them.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

We've had our beautiful Cal spa for a year. We got it at the fair. It has jets and it could easily fit eight people. The tub we had before had a table in the middle which I hated. This one is very nice and usable. The guys who came out and did the installation did a good job. The installation was quick and easy. We have no problems with the spa. There's no leaking as well. However, we don't get in it as much as we used to. Still, we're happy with it and now that the hot tub season is coming, using it will be good.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Cal Spas was the most knowledgeable in service among the tub companies that we looked at. We bought their Escape Spa about a year ago and there were no issues with the installation. The Cal Spas team was good with answering a couple of questions I had and their installers were quick, efficient. We use it at least once a week, though not as often as I thought we would. It’s a lot of work keeping the chemicals up, but it’s definitely relaxing.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I bought a sauna and swim spa. Dealer GARY ** (AQUAMAN). REWROTE CONTRACTS. Overcharged along with the fact he will not give original contracts. He has judgments over $91,000.00. BUYER BEWARE. Do your research at the courthouse. I am suing this merchant. He forged my name at the bank then again in court. BUYER BEWARE. Found pic of him as employee of Cal Spas. HUMMM.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I was at Bloomsburg Fair and Cal Spas showed me their cut out. It was a lot deeper for me. I'm a bigger guy, so with their cut out with the fiberglass and wood in there, I figured getting their tub would probably be the best route to go. The warranty is also awesome. The manufacturer is great and the tub works great and I love it. However, the people at the store are **. Wilkes Pools is the one that I'm dealing with and working with them is a lost cause. The service sucks. Also, they gave me different steps. In October, they put in a tub that has their own color. In January, they changed the color of it. But when they did that, they broke a panel. They still haven't come back to repair that and they're not returning my calls.

Wilkes Pools gave me the runaround. I went up to the store one time and tried to talk to them but they acted like they weren't there and that they didn’t wanna hear. The tub is lighter too. Additionally, the documents I have say that the unit should be a three-pump, but what I have only a two-pump. I'm gonna try to call Wilkes one more time, and if they don’t answer this time, I'm calling a lawyer.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I wanted a smaller size spa than I had before and I wanted the lounge thing. When we looked around the whole showroom of the Secard pool store in the area, the Cal Spa that we purchased was the one size and everything I wanted. It's very pretty and it's much easier to maintain than my other one. My other one was mineral and this one is chlorine. However, I'm disappointed in the strength of the jets. I bought the plug and play one but my other one was almost that strong when I had all of them opened and when I switched to just the one I was sitting in. It was almost too strong and it was really good, while the jets of the Cal Spa are not as strong as I expected, but it's acceptable to me.

I was also disappointed with the installation because the people that installed it didn’t know anything about the spa. They asked me which way I wanted to turn it and I said that the step should be where you have the button. It turned out that the side that has the area to grab to get in and the nonskid flooring part ended up against the wall of my house. I barely got someone to come over and turn it for me. They also told me to dump so much chlorine in. I looked at the directions and they had me put way too much chlorine in. I went to the store and complained. The rep there said that the installers don’t know anything and that they just deliver the spa. I told them that I was really disappointed with the service.

Also, there are cup holders over at the lounge chair where I put my feet and not over on the other side. There's an area where I can put my cup, but the actual cup holder is where I'm not even sitting. I miss it though. I've emptied it to get it moved and I haven't had it for a month or so. Nonetheless, I'm happy with my Cal Spa. It totally impacts my life and I enjoyed the relaxation in the evenings before I go to bed.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

My second hot tub is from Cal Spas and I like it better than my old tub. It has more features on it and the jets are different. The tub has been great since it was installed.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I went to the California state fair in 1986 and came home with a Cal Spa. 9 months later moved to VA. My wife and I wore that thing out. After 7 years had to replace the pump cause the impeller shaft rusted out and it leaked water. Then 3 years later I was told to stay out of it if wanted kids as I was killing off all my soldiers in that 103 degree tub. Gave it to my brother in law who used it for another 5 years. I am now looking to purchase another Cal Spa. I see that the Home Depot sells a spa built by Cal Spas. The hunt is on. Soldiers are no longer needed nor wanted.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

We upgraded our Cal Spas tub with a newer model and it has less features than our previous tub. We prefer the old one, which we had for quite a few years and had no drama with. But its cabinet was starting to deteriorate so it was time to upgrade. With the new one, we've been fighting a battle with the water clarity, which is the biggest issue we've had. We also had another issue which Cal Spas warrantied and took care of. We've got a pretty good relationship with the dealer. However, they could have more locations. We live 70 miles away from the dealership and it is not as convenient as it could be to get water samples and stuff.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Cal Spas was recommended to me by a friend and after seeing them at a state fair last year, I got the six-seater hot tub. It's sitting on the patio and I use it for relaxation. The Cal Spas folks delivered and set it in place for me then I had an electrician connect it for me. I also sometimes drive over to Cal Spas to buy my chemicals and the team has been friendly and very knowledgeable.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

A friend told us about Cal Spas. We felt that their spa was a lot sturdier and more heavy-duty built than the others. Their reps were also very nice and they were able to answer the questions we had. We bought a patio spa, they delivered it to us, and we installed it ourselves because we had to pay $500 to have it hooked up and that was a bit expensive. We've had the spa for six months now and we're enjoying it. We use it every day and the kids love it.

Cal Spas expert review by Kate Williams, Ph.D.

Founded in 1979, this company is an innovator in the hot tub business, holding 28 trademarks and 48 design patents. This company offers a wide variety of patio hot tubs, in-ground hot tubs and Swim Pro swim spas.

• Fountain of Youth™: This trademarked product uses micro-bubbles to increase oxygen levels in the water. Cal Spa states that this hydrotherapy rejuvenates the body and skin.

• Trade in value: Trade in an old hot tub and get money toward a brand new Cal Spas hot tub or swim spa. Use the web form to obtain a free, no-obligation trade-in estimate.

• Exclusive offers: By signing up for the Cal Spas newsletter on the website, consumers gain access to exclusive offers.

• Cal Spas blog: The Cal Spas blog offers advice on hot tub and swim spa ownership and repair, as well as a variety of health-related topics.

• Customer support: Cal Spas offers customer support via phone or email or by using their contact form online.

• Best for: Consumers needing therapy, consumers wanting relaxation and consumers needing exercise.

Profile picture of Kate Williams, Ph.D.
Kate Williams, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kate Williams, Ph.D. believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase. She spends countless hours researching companies and industries before writing buyers guides to make sure consumers have all the information they need to make smart, informed buying decisions.

Cal Spas Company Information