Call now
4.46/5
Based on 83 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Call now

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

With over 35 years of experience, Cal Spas is a provider of luxury spas and accessories. We pride ourselves in being a top Global Manufacturer of Home Resort Products.

Innovation and technological advancements are top priorities when crafting Cal Spas products. Built with more standard features and designer appeal, our products are a great addition to any outdoor space.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 7, 2018

567 Cal Spas Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

My old tub was about 25 years old and then we got a Cal Spas tub about seven months ago. The installation was wonderful. There was one broken piece of molding but they came back and replaced it right away. Also, we thought something was wrong with the spa as it wouldn’t turn off and by pushing buttons we had locked it, so we could not change any settings. Cal Spas sent a very nice repair technician out but it turns out it was just us, so he walked us through everything when he came. The tub looks nice and it’s top of the line. I use the tub about once a week and it’s really nice. I loved going out there at Cal Spas.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

We bought the Cal Spas hot tub last year. It was affordable and it was big enough to fit for a family. The installation was okay. I didn’t have to have them come back for some mickey mouse stuff that the installers could have fixed, but they said it wasn’t their job and I end up having to call and had someone come back out. They came back out and fixed whatever was needed to be fixed the first time which I had told them, “That’s causing you money. We use the jacuzzi for the rest of last year, but I shut it down a month ago because winter was coming and I wanted to make sure it was down and cleaned out. I wish they make the gazebo out of a limber wood instead of regular wood. Regular wood after so long tarnishes and falls apart. The limber wood will last longer. Other than that, I have recommended Cal Spas.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

My online experience with ordering parts for my Cal Spas Connect has been surprisingly simple. The website is user friendly and non cumbersome. Just type in the spa's serial number or model number where instructed and there you go, everything you could possibly need for the spa at your fingertips! It doesn't get better than that!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I was driving past the location that has pools and jacuzzis and I happened to stop by. I just wanted something where I can get in and relax after work or set of days. So, I bought one from Cal Spas, and the installation was okay. I had to put a cement flat foundation in my backyard for that, however, that is not something that they told me in the beginning. So, it kind of had a cooling off the hole and then put that down and let it dry before they could do the work. I was at work when they delivered the tub but my brother was at home and he said that it was easy when they did finally put in the tub.

After the installation, I tried to call Cal Spas because the blue tube on the jacuzzi wasn’t connecting. So, I went back to the place to find out how to connect it but they could not help me. They tried to call Cal Spas and they could not help me either so I unplugged everything and posted the back-up. That helped and it came back up. But I was very disappointed for the knowledge of the spa and that they were not able to tell how to fix things like that. The overall spa is okay. I like the Bluetooth speakers. They’re good when I could get it to work. They were always in and out but I think that was solved.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I had a Cal Spa for probably 15-20 years before I got this one, and for this, I dealt with the owner of Secard Pools and Cal Spas. He was very professional and he gave me a good discount in that. I got the price that I wanted for this new Cal Spa tub, and the installation was very good. Their guys were very efficient, they did it the way I wanted it, and I was happy with them. I enjoy the initial thing about it while it’s warm, but for the last month, I haven’t been able to get in it because I just had a triple bypass. I got in the spa for the first time on Wednesday or Thursday as my doctor said I could get in it for 10-15 minutes, and It felt good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cal Spas?

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

We inherited an old hot tub with the house and I talked to the guy who works on hot tubs and was recommended by the hot tub supply company, and he said the manufacturer no longer makes them. He said he could help us get a new one, though. And he’s a reseller of Cal Spas, which seemed like a good brand. We've had our hot tub from Cal Spas for seven months, and so far it operates well. It is similar in size to the old one, but since it is newer, it’s easier to use. We really like it. We got it at a good price and it seems to be great. It’s also a nice stress and back pain relieving thing. There was a piece of the spa that was a little bit broken when it came. And I’m having a hard time to reach out to talk to Cal Spas, but other than that, I would recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

We wish to commend Karen **, Customer Care Manager, and Renee of your Parts Department for their exemplary care in helping us to order the Replacement Control Box VS300 for our Cal Spas hot tub. Karen was thoroughly knowledgeable, thoughtful/understanding and patient with us, even to the extent of helping us with a discount, and waiting while we went to find a credit card with sufficient funds to pay for the part. Karen then documented everything and sent it to Renee who processed and expedited our order. Renee was very professional and followed up by sending us email confirmation of order placement; then as promised, tracking information. Like Karen, Renee was delightful, answered all of our questions and made us feel comfortable!

We both in our 70's, have lower back and leg issues and currently on a negative-cash-flow fixed income. We love our Cal Spas hot tub and have greatly benefited from using it over the years without ever having a problem! Please commend Karen and Renee, and thank you for your world class customer care there at Cal Spas!

P.S. To add some perspective and credibility to our above commendation, I am a retired procurement manager, with 45 years experience working with sales and customer service folks!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I went to a place that sells hot tubs and bought a Cal Spas tub. The people there were good, knowledgeable and the installation went great. When I was growing up, my parents had a spa and there was a door on the front to access the motor if something needs to be done. The new ones don’t seem to have that access to avoid the everyday consumer working on it. But it would be a convenient factor if I needed to have somebody come work on it or if I want to monitor what I needed to do something myself.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

I knew that Cal Spas has a good reputation and their product quality is better. I got a hot tub from them last spring and its installation went very well. After a long day, we go into it and relax. I love it. I've recommended them to a few people already.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

We had one of those inflatables that you get at Target and it sprung a leak. It also had some sun stains on it so we went to Cal Spas to see if we could find something to clean up the sun stains and patch up the holes, but we ended up getting a real one. My wife was there during the installation and she said that everything went along without a hitch. I was enjoying the tub. It was great but after a week went by without having to use it, this scale on the side formed and it felt like sandpaper. You can reach in there and scrape it away with your fingernails but after scrubbing at it for about half an hour, you get tired of it and you only cleared away about a foot.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I went to a few different companies, comparing prices in store and Cal Spas had the most reasonably priced tub. I had to put concrete in my floor but that was not on Cal Spas. We just made sure it's doable. The two guys basically just put it down from their truck. We've had the tub for seven months now and it's been really good. It's been a little windy recently so my cover got blown off and the tub got really dirty. I've had it cleaned two times recently which was frustrating but it's fine.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

We bought our Cal Spas hot tub from Secard Pools and they had the best prices. The installation experience was good. The hot tub helps my back and I feel good for a couple of hours after I get out of it.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I've owned a Cal Spa hot tub for 15 years. It's still working but it was old and I wanted to upgrade. So, I purchased a new one six months ago, from the same guy whom I bought my first hot tub from over at the Woodbury location, and I like that the tub is big. Everything with the experience went great, from the sales reps to the delivery and installers.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

We bought an original Cal Spa in 1999. It was a great product and we really liked it, so when we were shopping for another one, we wanted to get another Cal Spa tub. We then got one through a retailer and they arranged to have someone bring the unit to our house. They did a very poor job because when the unit was delivered, it was damaged. They didn't take it back despite weeks and weeks of phone calls and e-mails. I then reached out directly to Cal Spas and they reached out to the retailer many times but the retailer was not responsive. We even had a fight with the retailer through the bank to try to get our money back. But Cal Spa said that for all our trouble they were going to give me a new hot tub for free.

Cal Spas then told me that they dropped the retailer as one of their suppliers and took it upon themselves to find another spa company on Long Island to come out to our house, remove the old hot tub and install a new one. The customer service was great and couldn't have been any better. We appreciated that Cal Spa jumped in when the retailer was unresponsive. They even had executives get involved and speak to us. They really went above and beyond with their customer service.

The tub that we have now however is a little bit different. It doesn't have as much legroom as the one that was replaced. With our old tub, my husband could be sitting on one side and I on the other and we could stretch our legs and feet and the jets massage us but now, we have to bend our knees since it's not as wide at the bottom. But the new one is easy to operate and very relaxing for something my husband and I enjoy doing together.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I have a Cal Spas hot tub for six months now. I went to a swimming pool place that had it in their showroom, and it was the one they've used. They recommended it because it came with the gazebo and it was a package deal.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

We bought our first hot tub with all wood from Cal Spas 25 years ago. In 2008, we walked in and bought our second one. We paid cash for it and we noticed that Cal Spas were a little bit cheaper on some things. They took our old hot tub and gave us the money for that. We liked that second hot tub and it was almost eight years old but we never had any issues with it except for a couple of bugs and Cal Spas fixed that. But a sidewinder tornado took it.

So we got a new 2017 64 jet hot tub. We had a 100% deductible with the insurance company and they paid for everything. The insurance went from what we had before so they gave us a check for $12,000 and we went into the store up in Plymouth and got a new one. They did a few wheeling and dealing because we’ve been their customer for years. The hot tub is a little spendy for people because not everybody can whip out $12000 and get a hot tub. And this hot tub that we got cost $11000.

We’re very much impressed with it. The paneling around is way better than the one we had in 2008 because whoever they hired put on our lid wrong on that one and it was a mess. We also got the cool down seats on our new tub and the lights that are all inside. We love that. But we didn't get the radio because we had one before and we did not like it. They were cheap speakers. So we just went out and bought a Bose speaker and saved money that way. We love that because we can do our own music on the Wi-Fi. I also like the idea of the waterfall and that the center chair has all the new sides. The jets are on the sides of your body and it sits up higher, too. The other ones tend to sink down and it’s hard when you’re short like a girl. But my husband is 6’1" and he loves the lounger because it has more jets underneath the calves while the other one did not.

The guys in Plymouth were very knowledgeable and easygoing. They knew us by name because we buy our chemicals there and we go back and forth. I've been such a good customer that every time we go there, they always tell me to not worry and get my chemicals then they pay for my shipping. They’re always that nice and that makes me want to come back and tell all the people about Cal Spas, too. But sometimes, it’s hard to get to Plymouth so we go to this store that my husband passes by. They said they’re the same name brand as Cal Spas and they have all the same filters so it’s nice in that way.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Cal Spas had an open house and when I went to buy the spa, I felt I was welcome. The people explained to me how that thing operates. Their installation team was did a good job, but they didn't install anything. All they did was bring in the hot tub, drop it off and then leave. It took them 45 minutes to an hour to do everything. Though I had to tell them how to do it, they're professional. So far, I love the tub itself. It's the big one and it has that ultrasonic filter. Everything is working fine, however the cover and the piece of cheap tubing that they use to lift the cover is horrible. Cal Spas has a good reputation but then, they provide those cheap cover with a handle. It really ruins the taste.

Other than that, when I went back there because I had a problem, the people at Cal Spas treated me like a stranger. It felt like they want me to stay out, and since they got my business, they don't need me anymore. They won’t even help me with my complaint. I asked them to let me talk to the expert since the spa is not working and I have a single question. Finally, they got somebody, got me in the office, and she was not a professional. She was just going back and forth, three or four times. Finally, I got tired of it. I got home, read the book a little, and I got the spa working. All in all, the spa is good but the service is horrible.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I've had my Cal Spa hot tub for 8 years now and it's been a good tub. Everything has been working properly. Jet-wise, however, I would have stepped it up to another level.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

We had Cal Spas install a hot tub around five months ago. The salesperson we had was fine but there was a real disconnect between one of their operation guys from the San Bernardino store. I explained to them that getting a spa into the location would be a bit challenging because there were narrow openings with gates. The guy came out and took a look at it. He said it won’t be a problem and that they can get the spa in there. I was a little doubtful but went with him on it since he’s the expert. The installers came out and took a look at where they had to put the spa and said, “That ain’t going to happen.”

About the time we were having this discussion, my electrician who was working that day at our property was watching what was going on. I knew my wife was getting increasingly agitated because she wanted the spa put in. So, my electrician told us he’s got a friend who has a crane company. He got a hold of this friend and it turned out the guy was down the street finishing up a job. Within 45 minutes he showed up, hooked up his crane, lifted the spa over the top of the house, dropped it on the back, and then the guys installed the spa. It was $350 and Cal Spas paid for it. Other than that, the installation was great. They placed it and it worked out fine.

The other concern we had is that we didn’t get a good education on the proper use of the spa in terms of chemicals. We did as we were told but it overagitated the water in the spa. There’s a water clarifier and there’s bromine. Whenever we turn the pump on we get a lot of bubbles. And then the guy we talked to said we’re not supposed to use bromine and use chlorine instead. So, we switched to chlorine. But at that point, the water had been over-chemicalized that we’re still having a problem. I put the water in about five minutes and then the recommendation is to drain the water and do it again.

They didn’t do a good job explaining to us what to use and what not to use.They weren’t even sure. One said bromine and one said chlorine. At some point, we’re probably going to have to drain the water. Every time we turn on the big pump, it creates this foam. Otherwise, the spa is great. It got lots of jets. We love and enjoy it and I’d definitely recommend it.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

My husband came home one day and said he wanted to get a hot tub from Cal Spas. The Cal Spas team spent a lot of time with us but we got all the paperwork done fairly quickly and I was surprised on how quickly we were able to the hot tub. They delivered it and everything was done correctly. One day, I went back in to buy some stuff and they were always really nice and pleasant. We’ve had the hot tub for a year now and it’s been good. We don’t use it as much as I had hoped we would but I like it everything about it and I will highly recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

We originally talked to Cal Spas and with somebody that had used them close to a year ago, and then made the purchase several months ago. Our spa can fit six to eight people and we like its quality. The installation went well and the Cal Spas team has good customer service.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I’ve used Cal Spas for 30 to 60 days since I bought the last one and it has been bad. The guy from Cal Spas came here and told me that he needed to get a crane to get the hot tub lifted over my house to get in the backyard. I told them I have access to the back, through a lot and they can pull their truck up back there and I'll help them get it up there. They said over and over that it cannot happen and that they needed eight guys. Luckily, I had eight guys working around the corner who could've helped us. But all said and done, it only took three guys to do the same job and get the hot tub. He wanted to charge an extra fee because the delivery was free. And then, he didn’t want to talk and just wanted to leave. I finally convinced him and said, "I'll give you a tip, whatever. Take $100, $200. Just listen to me and I guarantee you we're going to get it up there. It's not that bad. And you can get your truck all the way back to the lot." It was horrible delivery.

Then, we got the tub and it had a blown fuse on it so once the electrical was hooked up, it didn’t work. Then I went back and forth with Cal Spas. Finally, I had to call a third-party person and they came and looked at the spa. I told them that there’s a blown fuse when it was sold to me. They told me all they do is sell spas and they gave me a number and collected my $9000 and put it in their pocket. It was horrible. I did business with Royal Spas out of Indianapolis, Indiana. They manufacture Royal Spas and I used their spa for 10 years. It was an awesome company and I never had an issue. But Cal Spas is garbage. I bought the spa and already one of the jets broke. Now I'm calling them back and waiting what they’ll do on this part. It's a crappy product, crappy service, and crappy people.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

We've got a swim spa and we liked its size, the way it looked and what Cal Spas had to offer. We went back and forth on the 12-footer or the bigger one, and we wished we went with the bigger one but that would have taken up a lot of our patio. We were a little frustrated when getting the spa took a bit longer than usual and then once we got it, we had one problem. So, they sent people out to fix it. The product was brought in and set up like they said it would, so it was good. Now, the only issue we're having is that my husband can’t keep the chlorine in it enough. Other than that, the swim spa is nice and it's perfect for our daughter. Instead of having a pool taking up the whole yard, my daughter can go into the spa, splash around, and then still has room out in the yard to do whatever. We had a good experience.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

We use our Cal Spa three to four times a week. The quality was excellent and it was better than what I expected. The installation team was good. They showed me how to cover, operate and lock it. I had some questions about the electrical and they were able to help with that as well. They were fast because it didn't take more than 20 minutes from the time they got there to the time that they were done. I got a starter chemical pack from them but I didn't use it because it came with chlorine and I heard that the bromine is the better thing to go with. I already recommended it to my in-laws and they'll probably end up going to the same location in Western Sacramento.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

My wife has googled Cal Spas and we've had our spa since June.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I bought a Cal Spa off Craigslist and used it for a few years. And then, this spring, it froze up and got damaged when we were on vacation. We came back to our hot tub all empty from frozen pipes expanding and breaking. Then we went to Cal Spa and got a new one and the experience was awesome. It was perfect – quick, painless and easy. The sales reps were awesome. I recommended Cal Spas to an uncle of mine and he bought a hot tub shortly after we did.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

I sought Cal Spas and I've known about them for 30 years. I bought one at the Los Angeles County Fair 20 years ago at a different home and I just bought a new hot tub two months ago. The new tub has dual motors with dual filtration. Installation went fine and both tubs are good. I have a five-year warranty on it. The headrest has all bubbled up and lost their adhering effect that it has so it hasn’t held up with the water. I have to take all the cushions. It's easy to repair but that could be improved. They have a plastic step to go in the Cal Spas and it’s very poor. It gets very hot in the summer months that it burns the bottom of your feet. Cal Spas needs to address and upgrade that and I made one myself. The tub works all the time when we use it in the summer but we don’t want to go from hot to cold, it’s too painful. We can’t use it during the winter because it's too cold outside.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

We bought our spa in June 2009 and its still looks great and works well. We had a few issues when we originally ordered the spa, which were resolved immediately by the company: The cover lifter we ordered was missing (they sent one). The 75sf filters didn't fit (they replaced them with 50sf filters). There was a crimped hose (they sent someone to replace it.) I was glad we were advised to order 2 covers; we replaced the original cover a couple of years ago with the second one we bought.

But I wish we had not gotten the bromine generator. It was a considerable added expense, the base chemical that makes it work was also expensive and hard to find, and we ended up just using bromine tablets anyway. Next time we might want to try the UV filter. We also had problems with the 24 hour pump and had to disconnect it; we just use the main pump which we find is sufficient for filtering. All in all, we love our spa and use it every day. We'd buy another spa from this company.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Cal Spas refuses to replace or remove the faulty swim spa I purchased in 2014. I bought a new swim spa in 2014 for $18,000. By 2015 the fixtures inside the spa rusted, the speaker covers rusted, one of the speaker covers under water came off; the debris catcher casing separated from the wall of the spa and the side paneling came off. Parts were replaced summer of 2016. ALL parts have rusted again & worse and the side paneling is off again. I purchased the spa from Secard Pools in Hemet and all they can do is replace the parts. I have asked both Secard and Cal Spa to reimburse me 75% of the cost and to remove it off my property and they say they cannot. Cal Spa (who built the spa) says it is not their responsibility. We have not been able to use the spa because it is a health hazard. The spa is maintained weekly by a reputable pool services and has been since we purchased it.

I cannot seem to get Cal Spa to understand that it is their product that is faulty and that water equipment should not rust. The Cal Spa Service Manager Karen said that because I have a contract with Secard it is their responsibility. Secard did not build the spa nor do they have the replacement parts, the parts come from Cal Spa. There is no resolve here and Cal Spa will not stand behind their product. Because of their faulty parts, I have not been able to utilize the spa and the spa is needed for my immune disorder, as I am a retired vet who suffers from chronic joint and muscle disabilities, which is why I purchased the spa.

Cal Spas response
Sonya,

We are very sorry that this rust issue continues to frustrate you. We want you to be able to use your spa confidently for your health and well being. After speaking to you we believe you may be experiencing this issue from the use of liquid chlorine in your spa. We at the least want to eliminate any issue we think may be contributing to this problem. Secard has been authorized to replace any stainless that is having this issue in your spa free of charge under warranty; and we would like to send you some granulated chlorine which is recommended in the owners manual.

Please allow us to help in this manner, it is the first step in figuring out why this would occur in your product. We will send this product direct to you this week, hopefully your service man can use this product and you will have good results with it. We do want to help you. Please call me if you have any questions or would like to discuss this further.

Best Regards, Karen

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I’ve heard good stuff about Cal Spas and I decided to get the fifty-two jets, six-person tub. Their rep gave me good guidance on what to get and the installation team was great. I’ve been using it for six months and life is definitely more enjoyable with it.

Cal Spas Company Information

calspas.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use