Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Cal Spas has been around for many, many years in California. We go to the county fair down in LA and I can’t remember not knowing about them. One time, they were in my area and had Cal Spas on sale. It was a nice spa with adequate features and it was what we were looking for to replace our old one. They gave me a good price for a spa of that size so I bought it. Since they just dropped it off and gave me a starter kit that had some chemicals, I hired a guy and a crane to put it in place. It was me who put in all the wiring as Cal Spas didn’t do that.

My previous spa had a door that I opened up with a little key and it gave me access to all of the control, the pump and the wiring. With this spa, you have to take the panels off and that’s a little cumbersome since they don’t just come apart. You have to basically unscrew the whole side to get into the control panel and install the wiring. Also, when my wife and I sit in there, it has two sides and they’re on two different pumps. So the right side, you push the jets one, it turns on the right side jets. We turn jets two and it turns on the left side jets. But they don't always come on. And then I try to adjust it so that it blows hard and it's sort of hit and miss.

When I turn on that right side jets, they come on as if it's just circulating water. It doesn't come and blow real hard like in a massage. Maybe there's something funky there that I haven't looked at or maybe I'm just not familiar with the spa like I should be. That's why I haven't called them yet. Lastly, the computer system on the spa is a little confusing when setting it up for the time. My wife does the timing when it comes on to just run like an hour a day and I manage the chemicals. But it's not bad. The spa got a nice, little-lighted system on it and I like it well enough.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was stopping by all kinds of places and one had Cal Spas on the showroom floor. I made them an offer but it was turned down. I called them back the next day before I pulled the trigger on another one. The salesman, Don, was just excellent. Knowing that I was a salesman too and had my own business, he didn’t try and overall sell the product. Instead, he got down and heard my offer. He said he will call the main guy and see what he can do. It worked out. My purchase was delivered and dropped off. I had it all hooked up. Overall, I love the spa and I sit in there a couple of times a week even when I’m not too stressed.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We had hot tubs from Cal Spas for a total of 14 years. The previous one went way over the limit it should have and died so we replaced it. Their employees have all been good but we had to hire someone to do the electrical part and they've done well. The new hot tub is better and has a new jets option.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The installation of our Cal Spas tub was slam dunk. It was very easy. There was a scratch on it but the company came out and stood by their product and gave us a whole new panel so we’ve had a great experience with them. It is an excellent company to work with. We used to own a Softub and in comparison to that this one’s larger, a four-person seater type. Our Cal Spas tub is also a little bit more complicated to take care of but we love it. My husband uses it every day. He’s had five back surgeries so it helps him greatly. Even our grandkids use it. When this one ever dies I would like a six-seater tub. So a little bigger one still but this is good right now.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I heard about Cal Spas from a friend and because of his experience, it made it easier for me to make the decision to purchase from them. The last one Cal Spas we had held up quite well and service was good. We replaced it though because when we lost power for a while, the pipes froze and broke. So we’re a return buyer and we’ve had our second spa for five months now.

Their representatives have been good. The gentleman who came out and gave me my tutorial on my new tub did a great job. And I had a good experience also with the salespeople at the fair because we bought it through the state fair the second time. Anybody that we’ve been in contact with has been very helpful and so, it made it easy to do it. But our biggest nightmare was trying to find somebody who would do it especially since we had a gazebo and you’ve got to tear out a wall to get the old tub out and get the new tub in. Most carpenters want to do remodels and new houses and not come spend a day doing a project. My one complaint with my tub though was they took out the handle on my new spa which is similar to the old one I had. I’m a short person and getting in the tub is easy but when you’re all wet and slippery trying to get out without a handle to hang on to is a pain. But other than that, it was a good experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cal Spas?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Cal Spas had a trade-in option and we traded our old spa with them. We chose them as their spas seem well-built. The salesman was good. He explained the product and answered all our questions. And the installation itself was pretty easy. I had all the wiring in the house so it was basically wired up like my old spa. So far, everything has been working good. It doesn’t seem like I have to put much chemicals in the water and it is way better than our old spa.

I purchased my third spa from this store in Bakersfield about 2 years ago. The owner is awful. Never returns calls, service is completely forgotten after the purchase. He hired these awful guys to install the tub then they left a scratch on the outside. I had to reorder that panel and get someone else out to install it. I complained to main office. They could care less. The jets actually are on the weak side. For the price you pay on these tubs you should great service and a good product.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We have a Cal Spa for over a year now. It’s just really relaxing and it takes the stress away. Maybe it also helps my bones since I’m getting older. However, I've had some instances where the vent switch will go from 104 to 80. I then have to hit the buttons again. I don’t know if it’s a malfunction.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We got our Cal Spas tub delivery on the first of November and the delivery folks were phenomenal. I installed it myself and it's the second one I've done. I had the old tub for 15 years when we upgraded it and I hope the brand new Cal Spas one would do a lot better. I’m happy with the it and I enjoy soaking in it every other night. The only time I’m at the Cal Spas store is when I need chemicals and the people down there are good and don’t try to upsell me. They got a record of what tub I got and they tell me what I need.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Cal Spa's pricing made me decide to go with them. I got an 8 person tub with 56 jets. The Cal Spas team set it up and they were fine. Since then we've used the tub once every two weeks.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My wife and I were shopping for hot tubs and happened to go to the state fair. We saw Cal Spas and we visited a number of different manufacturers. The Cal Spas team came and helped us with the first start up. So they did a very good job with follow up. What’s interesting about that is some of the printed instructions were not as clear as when the guy came out and explained to us. To sum it up, they are friendly, easy to deal with, and very helpful. I get what I pay for and so far, it's been pretty good with them.

Cal Spas

Hi Jeffrey! We love being able to help customers like you. Cal Spas appreciates you and your business. We craft our spas just so that you can enjoy the spa lifestyle like how it was meant to be appreciated. Enjoy!

Original review: April 5, 2017

I've talked to a couple of different people that I know that have Cal Spas and they really like them so I bought a regular patio spa about six months ago. The construction portion was pretty quick. I was a little confused with how to set it up properly chemical-wise but I was able to figure it out just through the paperwork that came with it. I’ve called Cal Spas twice and they’re very friendly.

Cal Spas

Hi Debra! We are so happy that you are enjoying your new Cal Spas hot tub! Please enjoy your spa!

Original review: April 3, 2017

My situation was a little complicated and I told the dealer that it would be a good idea to have the installers come out as they might have trouble bringing the old Cal Spa out and the new one in. I knew it was gonna have to go over the house. I have a steep driveway and it was pretty tight then the deck had been built around the old spa so I wanted them to look at it and have a strategy. And then both the installers and the crane operator looked at the situation on Google Earth and said that it won’t be a problem.

They got out there the day we had scheduled to do it the first time and the guys who were going to do the work didn’t get consulted. They looked at it and said that they can't do it as they don’t have enough people and the right equipment. I showed the woman at the dealership pictures of how the area looked and she did not share those with the guys who were gonna be doing the installation. I took a half day off work to be there while they did this and then they couldn’t do it.

The installers said the things that they have to do and so we rescheduled it for the second time. They then had the extra guys and the extra equipment they needed to get the old one out. The crane operator who was also there the first time brought a bigger crane and he was very nice about it. He offered to do it at the original quoted price which I ended up paying him more for because I knew he had to come out twice. Basically, it cost everybody extra time because the pertinent information didn’t get passed along to the people who were gonna have to do the work on the ground.

Then the Cal Spas that I had before was very roomy and it ran really well. I would put in a couple of teaspoons of chemicals and chlorine every week and it would stay nice and clear. With the new one, it's the same water that I put, however, it’s cloudy all the time and I’m using more chlorine on it and I don’t quite understand that. I wanted to call the dealer and see what they thought about it. If there is somebody that could give a technical advice that could call me back and discuss that particular issue with me, that would be nice. But it’s working fine. I used my old spa a whole lot and now I use the new one a lot as well. I do a lot of hiking and it’s great to come back after a six-hour hike and be able to drop into the bathtub so it’s awesome.

Cal Spas

Hi Gaetan! We are so happy that you are enjoying your spa and recommend it to others! We love making sure our customers have the best spa experience! Please enjoy your Cal Spas hot tub!

Original review: March 27, 2017

The Cal Spas store was fine and the guy was good. I got a five-seater with one big pump in the middle and they installed it for us. That was pretty easy and everything was fine. There was a little problem with the spa and the guy came back about a month later and fixed one of the sidings. I'm also having a little bit of trouble with the lighting system. It's flickering when you select a different mode of light and it does that once in a while. It's been happening a little bit more often and I was gonna call them about that. But the tub is a little better than the one we used to have. This one's pretty good so far so were happy with it. We've had it for four months now and I'd recommend it.

Cal Spas

Hi Drew! We're very happy that you were able to enjoy your spa! Cal Spas loves customers like you! Enjoy that hot tub for years to come!

Original review: March 25, 2017

Our Cal Spas tub was too expensive to repair so we bought a new one. It was going to be a similar size and Cal Spas seemed like a brand we trusted and we're pretty happy with it, so we got our tub from them again. It was an enjoyable experience and they were helpful when we needed help. Their team was great and very knowledgeable. They even came out and validated something for us. So, the whole after-sales experience was very good.

Cal Spas

Hi Jean! We are very happy to have you as a customer. Please know that Cal Spas will always support America and that each of our spas is proudly made in America for people like you. Enjoy our quality American craftsmanship as you relax in your spa!

Original review: March 24, 2017

I like that Cal Spas are made in the USA and they were reasonably priced. I got a spa that sits on our concrete patio. The kids have had fun having friends over so it’s been nice for entertaining. It’s also good relaxing time together as a family. However, I don’t like the maintenance part. I had no idea I was gonna get into that. It has added a layer of stress in my life. Before we bought the spa, I asked a guy at the State Fair what kind of maintenance does it need, and he got out the two scoops of the chlorine that you put in after you use it and said, “There. That’s it. Now you’re done.” He didn’t really explain that twice a week you’re down there practically being a chemist, measuring water levels and adjusting.

Cal Spas

Cal Spas is so happy that you are enjoying your spa! We value you as a customer and know that you will love living the Cal Spas lifestyle now that you have your own hot tub!

Original review: March 22, 2017

We bought our house in May of last year, moved in, and there's a tub from Cal Spas. It was still running but was ancient old. We knew that it was still working and ticking long, but it was drawing a lot of electricity. We wanted it replaced so we went in at the store and had some questions about stuff as far as where we should keep it for temperature. They came out and did a walkthrough with us to explain the cycles and all of that stuff, which was really nice and informative. During installation, we had to take down one of the walls since we had an enclosed deck, which we had done previously. The installation guys were awesome and they came all the way around the back of the house, got the tub up onto the deck, asked where we wanted the tub, and put it in place. The Cal Spas hot tub is awesome and we love it. We use it a couple of times a week. We live in Minnesota and it's really nice to chill out the bones. Everything has been fantastic.

Cal Spas

Hello Irene! We are so happy you enjoy your spa! We know it will continue to make you happy for years to come!

Original review: March 15, 2017

We bought a six-person Cal Spas hot tub and Secard Pools in Lancaster took very good care of us. They were right on the money and when they said they were delivering, they had it done. The hot tub is great for my back. I don't hurt as much and neither does my husband 'cause we're both older. It's also nice to go out and get in the tub on a weekend morning.

We've used Cal Spas for 22 years. They're very dependable. When we were first setting up the tub, I had an electrician friend who wasn't quite sure how to do certain things to the wiring. We got a hold of technicians and they were quite helpful. When they said they're going to call back in a few minutes, they did within five minutes with the proper answers so they were quite efficient.

Cal Spas

That's great to hear Amy! We're so happy that you are enjoying your spa! Please have a great year from all of us here at Cal Spas!

Original review: March 12, 2017

We like our Cal Spas and it's our first hot tub. It was a very easy installation and we've used it for a month now. In general, it was a good experience.

Cal Spas

Cal Spas is so happy to hear that you use your spa for family time. Nothing brings us more joy than knowing how much you are enjoying it!

Original review: March 7, 2017

We went to two other places and we both thought that the spas that the Jacuzzi store had were nicer but not $3,000 nicer for the design and size. There's a point of diminishing returns where you pay a lot more for a little bit more. Also, this is our first hot tub so no matter which one we got, we'd be thrilled. So, Cal Spas dropped it off and then I wired it in. Then a gentleman from a store came to the house and showed us how to operate it once we had it all wired up and ready to go. Everything went really smoothly.

We have our Cal Spas' hot tub for about three weeks now. There are four of us in the house and we all use it for different reasons. But, we're certainly out in the backyard a lot now than before, especially in the winter. The biggest benefit is when all four of us get in there together. It gives us an opportunity to sit and talk because it is sometimes hard when kids are doing homework and the TV's on.

Cal Spas

Cal Spas is so happy that you would recommend us. We love our customers and know that you will enjoy your spa for years to come. Please have a great week!

Original review: March 5, 2017

I bought my Cal Spa in a state fair last August. The deal I got that time was good and with our past spas we've always had to drive long ways to get equipment and anything with it and there is a Cal Spas very close to us and that's very convenient. The installation was very easy. Their installation team was very friendly and helpful, they gave me some good pointers and tips. The main installer told me how he did the different things because he has Cal Spa himself. I took his advice and I went with it. Everybody's been very helpful, accommodating, and friendly. I would definitely recommend them.

Cal Spas

Cal Spas is so happy you love your hot tub! Keep enjoying it Gene because you deserve it! Have a blast now that the weather is getting warmer!

Original review: March 4, 2017

We bought our Cal Spas last year and we started using it around October. I call up their team about chemicals, what to put in here and there. Everything is good with them.

Cal Spas

Hi Greg! We are so happy that you are satisfied with everything! Please enjoy your week and especially enjoy your spa! We know it will make you happy for years to come!

Original review: March 3, 2017

Cal Spas has a booth at the Minnesota State Fair and they had a sale going on. The salesman was friendly and was able to answer my questions. Installation of the Cal Spas product was also very easy. So far I am liking my Cal Spas and I am satisfied with everything.

Cal Spas

Hi Dale. We're sorry your installation process with your dealer wasn't as great as it could have been. We are very happy that you are enjoying your spa though and know it will give you many enjoyable spa sessions for years to come.

Original review: March 2, 2017

I bought the Cal Spas tub about five months ago. The salesperson did an excellent job and I enjoyed working with her. But when the delivery guys came, they broke pavers in my backyard. I had a clear red brick pathway laid out for them to use during the installation of the spa in a location in the gazebo. It was a perfect setup and I was guiding them. Then I went inside to tend to my dogs and for some reason, instead of staying on the brick pathway, they decided to cut across my newly laid sod. I had to keep that stuff wet and it sunk their tracks down about six inches and I had to have the landscape people come out and redo it. We got through the installation but that part could have been better.

Also, I don't think the filter's working properly because there's a white residue at the bottom and I don't know where it's coming from. The first time I pulled out the filter and cleaned it after a month, it had quite a bit of stuff on it. Then I pulled out the filter a couple of months later and there's hardly anything on it. So I had one of the maintenance guys come over and he's been good about working with me. He said that the white powder was a spa treatment that I had used. I had ordered some Shock stuff off a company, I only used it one time and I know that it's supposed to dissolve.

We ended up having to drain the spa then we filled it up again, flushed it out and made sure everything was out of it. Then we drained it again and refilled it. He also suggested not using any of those other products and I haven't used anything but the Bullfrog canisters since then. However, I'm still getting a little bit of a white residue on there so it's requiring a little more work than I expected. I have a 12000-gallon swimming pool at my house and that was a lot less work than the spa has been. It's spilling water all over the place and I have to take a couple of water to the pool store to let them test it. It's getting very expensive and they're trying to sell me stuff that I really don't need. But lately, it's been okay and I haven't had much problem.

Cal Spas

We are so glad that your new Cal Spas hot tub has punctuated your outdoor living space! Keep enjoying relaxing in your spa and living the Cal Spas lifestyle!

Original review: March 1, 2017

It's been about seven months since we purchased Cal Spas. Having to get a cement slab and arranging for a crane was more of a preparatory experience than we expected. Their reps were fair. We had one concern though about a couple of items missing on the exercise equipment that came with it but we never received any response from them. Otherwise, they're okay. It definitely punctuated our outdoor living space. So, we’re happy about that.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We had a problem with getting the spa delivered and made. It was Cal Spas that made the spa and we bought it from Sea Court Pools. Found out through Cal Spas that Sea Court Pools didn't even deliver the orders a week later and it was supposed to go in that week. I ended up waiting a month and when it came, it wasn't even the right color that we picked when we were in the showroom. They just dropped it off and didn't explain how the thing works. They didn't even speak English. So, when I was asking them how to turn it on or what do I do, they left it there, not even put water in it or plug it in. This has been a nightmare from the get-go. Meanwhile, we don't know really how to service the spa, and how to set it to separate things. And now, Sea Court Pools said that if we want them to come out, it would cost us an additional $150.

Pretty much everything that was told to us was a lie. We just got the bill and it seems that they're charging us interest. It's supposed to be interest-free for one year. Payments were only supposed to be like $35, but we wanted to pay it off within that year so we were sending payments of $200 and $300 and they were adding that $35 to that $200, $300 in separate payments. So, now it's like a year's worth already and we just got the hot tub. We don't even know if it's safe to get into the tub because we don't even know if the chemicals are right in it. I was never given any information about how to put the chemical in it. So, we spent like $4,000 on something we've never even been in. It's just disgusting. Our experience with Cal Spas was great, but they should be more selective on who they let sell their product to see who's discharging their products.

Cal Spas

Cal Spas is so happy that you and your family have been enjoying your hot tub! Make this month the best time for relaxing in style with your loved ones! Enjoy living the Cal Spas lifestyle!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

Cal Spas seemed to have good reviews online and a reputable outfit. The salespeople were knowledgeable as well and so we went with them. The installation was very easy. I met with the team all the way through the process. There were a couple of items related to how to get it running properly and stuff that wasn’t a big deal. We took a little bit time, we can’t figure them out but they were responsive as we’re trying to figure these things out. It’s been really positive. It’s a great family gathering spot for us and definitely relaxing. It’s a great place to have conversations and connect with people. We’re just really happy and it’s been a great addition for our family.

Cal Spas

Hi Grant! We're so happy you decided to try a Cal Spas hot tub! We know it will make you happy for many years to come! Enjoy your week!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

I have a relative who has a Cal Spa and we got ours in October. We had an old tub for 10 years but we wanted to try something different and Cal Spa has different features. We use it frequently and we've been enjoying it.

Cal Spas

Hi Chad! We're glad that you enjoy your spa! It sounds like it was a challenge to put it up on a slope but we're glad it is now a great addition to your cabin! Have a great week!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2017

The installation was very difficult because the space for the spa was up in a cabin and on a slope but the guys were really good. They were very accommodating and got it all the way up there. Everyone’s very friendly. My wife helped them because we tied the spa to the back of one of my cars and dragged it up.

Cal Spas

Hi Jeff! We're glad you bought it too! Cal Spas loves making our customers happy! Have an awesome week!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

We were more familiar with Hot Springs and we were planning to get them but we were impressed with Cal Spas. We went with Cal Spas instead and they came out and did the training session. We got a newer model and it has everything that we wanted. We liked the jet combination, the seating combination, and the color combination. We got it in the fall and it’s cold here now but we’ve been using it consistently - at least once or twice a week. It’s nice to get out there and relax later in the evening. I have young children who have been in there a couple of times and they love it, too. The installation team was also good. It was a challenge to get the hot tub in place but they managed to. Hopefully we won’t have any trouble with it. We’re happy with it and glad we bought it. It works out pretty well.

Cal Spas Company Profile