2. Homeowners
  3. Hot Tubs

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.51/5

Hot Spring spas and hot tubs have been manufactured in Vista, California, by Watkins Wellness since 1977. Hot Spring’s portable saltwater hot tubs include soothing massage features and a variety of jet options. The company also offers saltwater systems and energy-efficient models. Find accessories, including replacement covers, cover lifters and furniture, on its website.

BOTTOM LINE

Customers enjoy Hot Spring Spas’ patented technology features, such as Tri-X filters, and its three different water care systems that ensure freshness. All models are customizable.

PROS

• Customizable features
  • Energy-efficient models
  • Range of price tiers

CONS

• Limited warranty
  • Sold only through local dealers

Top Hot Spring Spas Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hot Spring Spas?

The first year was fantastic. When operational, this is a fabulous hot tub. However, after a year or so the hot tub began having problems but was covered under warranty. The control panel has already been replaced 2 times ….

Unsubscribe at any time.

About Hot Spring Spas

Hot Spring Spas’ hot tubs use a variety of massage and hydrotherapy features, including rotating and directional jets, to provide owners with a therapeutic and relaxing experience. Those looking to lower their utility costs gravitate to Hot Spring Spas because the company’s SmartJet system is specifically designed to conserve energy. All of the company’s tubs are certified by the California Energy Commission and SpaSearch.

Hot Spring Spas prices

Entry-level Hot Spot Spas from Hot Spring start at $6,999 for a two- or three-person hot tub. The Limelight Collection and Highlife Collection cost $8,999 and up for premium and luxury tubs.

Prices vary based on added features, hot tub size, installation costs and taxes. Hot Spring Spas suggests reaching out to a local authorized dealer for the most accurate pricing.

Hot Spring Spa hot tubs

Hot Spring Spa offers three collections of hot tubs: Hot Spot Spas, the Limelight Collection and the Highlife Collection. Available features for the spas include wireless remote controls, large power indicator lights and patented pump shrouds as well as Hot Springs’ dual Freshwater Salt and Ozone systems.

• Highlife Collection: All Highlife Collection models — Grandee, Vanguard, Sovereign, Envoy, Aria, Prodigy, Triumph, Jetsetter and Jetsetter LX — come with multiple jet configurations, Tri-X filters, customizable lighting and multilayered foam insulation. Hot Springs manufactures the Highlife Collection with polymer and ABS-backed acrylic shells to create a strong and durable product. Select models also include sculpted seating, such as the captain’s chair included with the Highlife Collection’s Envoy model.
    • Limelight Collection: The Limelight Collection features five models: Prism, Pulse, Flash, Flair, and Beam. All models include a variety of jet styles and fit from four to seven people. With a full-color LCD screen, a power indicator light that shows when the hot tub is ready, exterior lighting and optional wireless entertainment, the Limelight Collection offers all of Hot Spring’s best features without the hefty price tag.
    • Hot Spot Spas: The most popular Hot Spot models — Tempo, Relay and Rhythm — come with a variety of seating, lighting and massage jet options. The Relay includes lounge seating, cushioned headrests and LED lights that can be dimmed for a relaxing nighttime soak. Select Hot Spot models can fit up to seven people, and every model includes multiple jet configurations, an insulated cover and the option to add wireless entertainment.

Hot Spring Spa maintenance

Hot Spring Spas’ Ozone system with MPS and silver ions makes water care easy — tubs with this system only require weekly maintenance. The saltwater systems found in Hot Spring Spas’ Limelight and Highlife Collection require even less attention and offer up to a full year of sanitation. With the FreshWater Salt System, small amounts of salt are converted into chlorine to flush out any bacteria or germs within the water.

It’s important to rinse out hot tub filters once a month to avoid any clogging. The company recommends you perform a deep clean every three to four months. The patented Tri-X filters featured in the Highlife Collection are dishwasher safe, which makes them easier to clean. Depending on the amount of use, the company recommends that you drain and refill your hot tub three to four times per year. Once drained, you can clean the spa shell.

Hot Spring Spas warranty

Hot Spot Spas come with a five-year warranty on their no-leak shell and a two-year warranty on components, including the MotoMassage jet and no-fault heater. The LED light assemblies in the Tempo, Relay and Rhythm models also come with a two-year warranty.

The Limelight Collection and Highlife Collection come with a seven-year warranty on the no-leak shell and a five-year warranty on components and Everwood cabinet material. The wireless remote control battery included in the Highlife Collection comes with a one-year warranty. Local authorized dealers can explain additional warranties.

Hot Spring Spas’ hot tubs must be serviced by an authorized technician or you run the risk of voiding the warranty.

Hot Spring Spas FAQ

How much do Hot Spring Spas cost?
    Most hot tubs from Hot Spring Spas start at $6,999. A premium hot tub for four adults with a FreshWater Salt System, multicolor lighting, an LCD control panel and FiberCor insulation costs between $9,000 and $10,000. Hot Spring Spas’ prices vary based on features, size and local taxes.
    How long do Hot Springs hot tubs last?
    At a minimum, most Hot Spring Spas hot tubs last five years. A well-maintained hot tub can last 20 years or more.
    How do I connect my Bluetooth to my Hot Spring hot tub?
    Connecting a Bluetooth to your Hot Spring hot tub is easy — simply select “Blue” or "Bluetooth" as the source on your hot tub’s audio setup menu and pair your device by choosing “My spa” on the device menu. Hot Springs’ Bluetooth speaker system has a range of up to 30 feet.
    How often does Hot Spring Spas have sales?
    Hot Spring Spas offers sales throughout the year. Most authorized dealers clear out their inventory during the fall, which is a good time to shop for deals and promotions.
    What is the ACE Salt Water System?
    The ACE Salt Water System is available in Hot Spring Spas’ Highlife Collection, Highlife Collection NXT and Limelight Collection hot tubs. This system uses small amounts of salt in the water and converts it to chlorine so that the hot tub’s water stays fresh and sanitized without the use of bottled chlorine.

Are Hot Spring Spa hot tubs worth it?

Hot Spot Spas offer a value-priced and budget-friendly option with all of the Hot Spring’s best features — energy-efficiency, FiberCor insulation, the Freshwater Ozone System and FROG @ease in-line cartridges. For hot tub owners looking to upgrade their hot tub, the Limelight Collection provides a premium hot tub with dual FreshWater Salt and Ozone systems, colored lighting and FiberCor insulation. The Highlife Collection combines all the best features of these collections into a line of sleek and luxurious hot tubs.

Hot Spring Spas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hot Spring Spas?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

Let me start by saying we did enjoy our Hot Springs Prodigy hot tub for the first 10 years of ownership starting in 2006. Sitting outside under the stars on a clear night while in the hot tub was just wonderful. We started to use the hot tub more often including in the early evenings after we got home from work or on weekends during the day.

Just a few months into owning the hot tub, we started seeing pieces of what looked like chewed up styrofoam on the ground near the hot tub component access panel. We removed the panel and found mouse droppings, a huge mouse nest with a pile of stored acorns, and a snake skin. We had not removed the component covering previously so clearly it was done haphazardly from installation. Additionally, there were unused holes cut into a metal mesh piece that should have been closed up upon installation. Easy mouse and snake access. Initially, we had problems with the hot tub's control panels. The main control panel was repaired once under warranty but the second one just completely stopped working.

Then the pump and pipe assembly started to leak and of course the hot tub was completely out of warranty by then. This hot tub is NOT easily repaired and the tech had to cut through a permanent plastic covering to get to the broken component and leak area. He did a terrible job "gluing" the plastic covering pieces back together. A week later, we found that the same area was still leaking. It took an exceedingly long amount of time for the followup repair as our "parts" came in but the revisit was never scheduled. I had to call and follow up several times to get that resolved. It was over $500 for the botched visit and then another couple hundred dollars for the followup visit when other parts were needed and should have been diagnosed initially.

The hot tub also began to turn itself on periodically. The cover was on the hot tub so we would not have noticed easily that it had turned on by itself. That electrical component problem was resolved for another several hundred dollars as the hot tub was out of warranty. Then, in 2018, a nearby lightning strike rendered the hot tub's motherboard inoperable. The heater hadn't been working properly and the hot tub's insulated innards had become a popular haven for mice and snakes. We have now discovered that mouse tunnels run through the insulation all around the hot tub. It is pretty disgusting to be honest.

After a long discussion and looking at options including checking out SpaGuts' site for replacement components, we decided to remove the defunct hot tub and not get a replacement or get it fixed. We paid hundreds of dollars for repairs past the warranty date with difficulty getting the repairs scheduled. Initial installation was almost $10K for the hot tub, power source installation, and concrete pad construction. It is also physically falling apart. I'm surprised the whole hot tub had not collapsed on itself by now.

Based on the exterior construction (now being disassembled for removal) of this Hot Springs Spa hot tub, I am really not sure that any of these devices should be outdoors. I would love to be able to attach photos. The base of the hot tub is WOODEN and not a metal frame as I'd expect. I was completely shocked to find this out. The thin wood trim underneath the hot tub overhang started to rot and provided other entrances for mice and snakes. Hot Springs doesn't need to respond to this review as there's nothing to resolve at this point. We did enjoy the spa, just wish it lasted longer, was better constructed for outdoor use, and a botched repair didn't allow Mouse and Snake City to take place.

Hot Spring Spas response
    I am sorry the last 2 yrs ended the way it did.
    Hot Spring has evolved & made advancements since you purchased your spa. You bring up a good point about pest control. No matter how much one guard against pests, there are still some proactive steps required to keep them out. They can be persistent; some will use an exterminator for their spa and home.
    I'm sorry, this channel limits my reply& I'm not able to address all of your concerns. Cust Serv. is here to help, 800-999-4688 x8432

Vanessa

Original review: May 25, 2020

Best hot tub I’ve ever owned! It’s easy to maintain and has a great warranty. I got mine in Denver and the dealer is very easy to work with. I sit in my hot tub every night and haven’t had any problems at all. You’ll love the soft water!!!

Hello Johnny,
    Welcome to the Hot Spring Spa family.
    Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your new spa. The picture looks fantastic and inviting.
    Happy Hot Tubbing!

Vanessa - Customer Sevice

Get buying tips about Hot Tubs delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: April 16, 2020

Bought new in 1987. Is still used 2-3 times weekly. Maybe ours is a freak, except for a part which is no longer made that we replaced this week, the unit continues to work flawlessly. I do want to know how to get a replacement heater in case ours goes out as it's no longer made.

Hello Dave

Thank you for your feedback. I love hearing from our customers who are still enjoying their spas from the 80s. That is fantastic! We take pride in what we do and feel privileged to provide a way to relax and rejuvenate at home. I will DM you the information that you are looking for.
      Happy Hot Tubbing

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

After spending months and months reading about hot tubs and going to dealers, we finally decided to buy the HotSpot Relay. So far (a month in) we are very happy with it. Its jets are very powerful when you want them to be, but quiet and soothing when turned down. The lights are just right-many choices, but not over the top tacky like some I saw. The price was right too and I didn't feel like I was paying for a lot of bells and whistles I didn't care for. Love the lounge as it gives me the foot/calf massage I need for my arthritis. It's also a nice simple shell which I prefer. I have found the water chemistry part much more challenging than I expected, but am hoping that it's just a learning curve with the Frog Ease system.

Hello Katherine,
      Thank you for your review and a great picture of your spa. It's good to know that your spa is able to help provide some relief from your arthritis. Water care can take some getting used to. Your dealer and or Customer Service (800-999-4688 ext8432) is available for questions or guidance. We want to make sure you get the most out of your spa and will be able to enjoy it for many years to come.
      Happy Hot Tubbing!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

We purchased a new top of the line Hot Spring Envoy NXT tub in October 2018. We've had nothing but problems with it since it was installed. We opted for the ACE salt water system - and it has been trouble ever since. The original dealer put WAY too much salt in the tub initially, causing it to corrode the jets, and in my opinion - most likely destroy the ACE salt water system cell and damage the shell of the tub. We smelled like we had just taken a chlorine bath every time we used it for the first 6 months. About that time, the dealership we purchased it from went out of business, and a different company took over - thank goodness! The new dealership - Family Time Spa - is amazing! Great service! We wish the quality of the Hot Spring Ace system matched their performance!

To Hot Spring's credit, they provided a free replacement ACE cell and replacement jets. That worked for a few months. Then, the system would not keep the chlorine level at the required point, despite every attempt by service technicians to correct the problem. Apparently we got the "last" ACE system model before Hot Spring developed a new and improved version. We've even had a technician from Telluride - home of movie stars and high rollers - try to solve the problem. He said that he "hates" the ACE system, resulting from his numerous experiences with them.

So, here we are, unable to effectively use the ACE system to maintain sanitation levels in our very expensive, BMW designed, Hot Spring Envoy NXT hot tub. The recommendation from consultation with Hot Spring and technicians is to convert to the standard chemical approach to keeping our pricey tub at the optimum levels to ensure sanitation. That's amazingly disappointing, after being convinced by Hot Spring that the ACE system was the latest, greatest and most effective approach to hot tub sanitation. If we had to do it over, we would look elsewhere for a hot tub. We previously had a Dimension One top of the line tub, and enjoyed it for over 10 years without a problem. This has been a very frustrating, irritating experience... and costly too.

Hello Joe,
      Your home is gorgeous. Thank you for taking the time to share your spa experience. I am sorry water care has been frustrating; that shouldn't be the case. Our salt system has been in use for over ten years, and in 2019 we redesigned the cartridge port and cartridge; however, the technology is the same. I want to help. Please look for a DM from me.
      I look forward to working with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Sercice

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
      Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

I purchased a hot springs flair with the ace salt water system in November of 2018. After spending weeks trying to tweak the salt water system we finally got it working. It lasted about 8 months. It took two service calls but they finally replaced the cell under warranty. The service tech informed me that the cells only lasts about a year and at $850 each, it would have been nice to know that before buying the system. Fast forward to August 2020 and here we go again. The lights are blinking and when I test the water it resets for a day and starts blinking again. I have to say when this system works, it works really well but I think the cost of replacing the cell is outrageous and it should last more than a year.

Hot Spring Spas response
      Bob, thank you for your review. The life of the ACE cell depends on other factors like usage and water care. I want to help get your spa water back on track. The salt system is excellent, and I'd like for you to get the most from it. I will DM you for additional support.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

I urge everybody not to buy a Hot Spring spa. Very difficult experience. Firstly the spa was wired up incorrectly by the delivering technician. Had to incur private electrician’s costs to come out and fix. No response from the company. Secondly, after-sale advice was all wrong - bad advice led to a case of folliculitis across our family of 6. FWSS doesn’t work. Company keeps saying it must be us - over contaminating the spa. Cannot be when we hardly use it, so high is our dissatisfaction. Have wasted too much money on products. Have had to drain down 3 times. Again at our own cost and at the cost of purchasing expensive ‘salt’ product. Have complained to the company. They took over a month to respond to us. Literally one of the worst companies I have had to interact with - and after having paid £15,000 for the pleasure. Strong recommendation to anybody reading this to avoid this company and buy from their competitors.

Original review: June 23, 2020

We purchased a 2018 Hot Spring Limelight Flair hot tub in March or 2018. We had it installed with the Ace salt water system. Within the eight months we noticed our concrete looked wet along the bottom outside. A repair person came out and said it was the heater and had to be replaced. We paid to have it serviced twice a year, when we purchased it we were told the salt filter should last about two years but within the first nine month the monitoring light kept going off, we’d reset and within a day or two it would show trouble again even though testing showed filter was good.

Our dealer sent service men out about five times and couldn’t figure it out but did tell us that the Ace Salt water system was having a lot of issues and the model was changed within four months after we purchased it. I’m sure it was changed because they were receiving so many complaints and the filter to replace it to make it work correctly is 900.00 and will only last about 12/18 months when you pay 10,000.00 for a spa you don’t expect to pay 900.00 every other year. We personally have a friend who bought the exact same spa from another dealer in another state and have had exactly the same issues. Today we had it drained cleaned and filled by our dealer and noticed little dots embedded in the surface of the spa itself and fading. It is covered 24/7 and only used by my husband and I on average once a month. This spa has been a huge disappointment and we feel we wasted a lot of money, never again will we buy from Hot Spring.

Hot Spring Spas response
      Thank you for taking the time to post and share pictures. This site limits my reply, and there is a lot to untangle here. I will DM you and see what we can do to help. The ACE salt system is still being used. We have not changed the technology. In 2019 we did update the spa shells to allow the salt cell to have its port. There could be several reasons that your cell did not last 2 yrs. That is one of the things I would like to explore with you. Talk to you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: June 18, 2020

I purchased my hot tub in the summer of 2012. Overall, we have enjoyed the tub very much. This year the display on the control panel failed. The control panel buttons work fine; the 2x3 inch screen just no longer displays the menu/prompts/temperature, etc. Upon investigating replacing the control panel ($400), I learned I also had to replace the control box (for an additional $700) due to a manufacturer design change that happened months after I purchase the tub. My current control box works perfectly fine, but is incompatible with the "new" control panel. Neither the retailer (Spring Dance Hot Tubs) nor the manufacturer (Watkins) is willing to give me any material price break on the replacement parts, despite being a long time loyal customer. Being asked to spend over $1200 to repair a 2x3 display screen is absurd.

Hot Spring Spas response

Thank you for your post. I am sorry that your spa requires service. As it turns out, the design change was because the manufacture of that controller decided to stop making them. Since we are committed to providing parts for at least 20 yrs of the spas life, we had to come up with something different. Unfortunately, that required new software and control board update. Because we know this can be a hardship to have to buy both, we do honor a discount. I will DM you for more info. Vanessa- CS

Original review: June 12, 2020

I own a Hot Springs Vanguard, it was purchased new in October 2017. Good spa, when it works. In March 2019 it broke down. The equipment was 17 months old. The temperature was below freezing, and the distributor in my area could not get a service technician to our house for two weeks. There was no option but but to drain the hot tub in the freezing cold, and do my best to winterize it, with no assistance or advice from the distributor other than the warranty was void if anything froze.

The same scenario repeated itself in October 2019. It is still broken down. Watkins is the manufacturer. Neither the manufacturer nor the Hot Springs Spa brand distributor will help or assist spa owners with control board level diagnostic information, or technical assistance to repair the equipment. Beware! If you purchase a Hot Spring Spa, do your research on reliability and test your local distributor for response time on service calls. Especially if you live in a cold climate.

Chris,
      I am sorry that your spa is currently not working. I understand what you are saying about needing service when the weather is cold. What I can do is get you in touch with one of our techs who can help direct you on what needs to happen to repair your spa.
      Thank you for your number. He will call you today.

Hot Spring Spas Company Information