Looking for a hot tub company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.93/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Hot Spring Spas Reviews

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

I had a Hot Spring Hot Tub Limelight Gleam model hot tub delivered to my house in April of 2014 and had a deck built around the hot tub (that was completed July of 2014) so that it was flush to the deck. It looked flawless and high class. The Gleam hot tub is one of the biggest hot tubs that the Hot Springs dealer in Clarksburg, Maryland was selling at the time. The first year was fantastic. When operational, this is a fabulous hot tub. However, after a year or so the hot tub began having problems but was covered under warranty. The control panel has already been replaced 2 times, the Jet stopped working and was replaced and the dealer had to come out three times to fix leaks. The last jet repair for leaks was in 2018.

This summer, I had to start filling up the hot tub every 3 weeks or so. I was just thinking it may be due to evaporation. This fall it moved to every 2 weeks and now I lose 2 inches every week. Once again I had Hot Spring come out to fix a leak. The girl told me it was still under warranty and that I would have to pay the standard $69 warranty fee for the 6th time! Well, I was very annoyed that I had to pay the $69 fee to fix a leak for the hot tub for the 4th time! When I bought the hot tub, I asked why I should pay so much more money for the Hot Spring hot tub compared to other Companies that were much cheaper. The salesman said with Hot Spring I am getting the Mercedes of hot tubs and that Watkins stands behind their high quality Hot Tubs!

Last Thursday when I got home from work, my wife showed me what the Hot Spring repairman (Teavis) left me. A work order for $1060 to replace one jet and $159 to repair the other one. I thought surely my wife was mistaken since the lady I talked to said the Hot Tub was under warranty. I called last Friday and another lady told me that the Hot Tub is no longer under warranty and that I would have to pay to repair it myself. I explained that the leak started in the summer but she said Watkins would not pay the order even though the leak started before the Hot Tub had been used for 5 years!! It does not appear that HotSprings stands behind their warranty!

Hot Spring Spas response
WOW, James! That does not sound right. I would like to know more to see what I can do to help. While there is a time frame for all warranties if the initial issue is not resolved then it's not fixed. Please look for a DM from me.
Thank you for taking the time to post your spa experience. I look forward to working with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

After spending months and months reading about hot tubs and going to dealers, we finally decided to buy the HotSpot Relay. So far (a month in) we are very happy with it. Its jets are very powerful when you want them to be, but quiet and soothing when turned down. The lights are just right-many choices, but not over the top tacky like some I saw. The price was right too and I didn't feel like I was paying for a lot of bells and whistles I didn't care for. Love the lounge as it gives me the foot/calf massage I need for my arthritis. It's also a nice simple shell which I prefer. I have found the water chemistry part much more challenging than I expected, but am hoping that it's just a learning curve with the Frog Ease system.

Hello Katherine,
Thank you for your review and a great picture of your spa. It's good to know that your spa is able to help provide some relief from your arthritis. Water care can take some getting used to. Your dealer and or Customer Service (800-999-4688 ext8432) is available for questions or guidance. We want to make sure you get the most out of your spa and will be able to enjoy it for many years to come.
Happy Hot Tubbing!

Vanessa - Customer Service

Get expert buying tips about Hot Tubs delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I purchased the Grandee hot tub and it was installed in May of 2015. We did a lot of looking before deciding on this model. We also got it with the ACE system. From the start the remote had problems. We had several service calls and nothing seemed to work. The hot tub would randomly quit working and would have to be recycled (powered down and restarted) to get it functional. Finally that stopped working as did the direct controls on the tub. What we did not realize was the myriad of problems we had encountered up to this point were all due to the bad board. We experienced green water, cloudy water, etc. all of which the solution to was to drain, clean and refill the tub (about two days and $200 each time) about every 3 to 4 weeks.

At this point the repair technician said he was not supposed to replace the ace controller board but he was certain it seemed to be the problem. He replaced it and we have never had another problem. The ACE board was bad from the beginning but never tested as bad. Then one of the back massagers began to stop from time to time. It seemed as though it was not getting enough water. We noticed the valve control for that side of the tub would spin 360 degrees and did not affect the flow of water. After a lot of working with it we got it adjusted so the massager would work. A service call said nothing was wrong with the massager or the valve. We still have it positioned to give off center to get sufficient water flow to the massager.

For the last two years we have had a great experience with the Grandee. We have learned its idiosyncrasies. We change the ACE setting weekly (it seems to get lonely and acts up if you do not pay it some attention) and start up the jets to get the water moving to ensure the temp gets up high enough for the ACE to actually function. Hot Springs should include instructions on how to keep their spas functional through tips and tricks.

Hot Spring Spas response
Thank you Tommy for your post and detailed information. I am glad that you are now enjoying your spa. I am sorry that you had to go through a period of service calls and interrupted hot tubbing. I like your idea for a video. I will pass your suggestion on to our team. If there is anything that I can do to help, please let me know. Please look for a DM from me. Thank you again.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

We purchased our Grandee model three years ago and spent $12,000.00 on it. Service technicians have had to come four or five times. Pumps have seized up and had to be replaced, as well as other parts. Once the blue light was flashing and technician told me there was calcium deposits causing this. Wasn't covered under my warranty. Not 5 minutes after he left the light was blinking. Did a Google search to learn that filters had to be cleaned. Never had a problem after so I am not very sure what technician said had any validity. Even though under warranty, I still have to pay every time for hourly charge and mileage rate even though it's due to bad parts. I wish I read reviews before I purchased it.

Hot Spring Spas response
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear about your spa experience and that your spa was in need of service. I would like to know more about this issue and will DM you.
We do provide a warranty for all of the spas we manufacture. It covers parts and labor, the travel fee is not encluded. It is stated in the terms and conditions of the warranty. I look forward to chatting with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I have had my Hot Springs Grandee now for 10 months. The spa I absolutely love, in it almost every day. CoolZone has not worked right from day one, today was service call number 5, they said they couldn't fix it, needed an AC man. They left and said they would not charge me because they couldn't fix it. KEEP IN MIND LESS THAN 1 YEAR OLD, NEVER HAS WORKED RIGHT. Hot Spring help me out.

Hot Spring Spas response
Charles, I am sorry to hear that the CoolZone is not operational. The system does need an HVAC professional to set up but it shouldn't take 5 service calls to get it working. I would like to see how I can help. I will DM you for more information. Thank you for taking the time to post.

Vanessa - Customer Service

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hot Spring Spas?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

All the reds lights go on at least once a week since I got it 4 months ago, dealer says it may not be warranty and may have to charge for the service call but I have maintained the filters and tub daily, I thought hot tubs were to relieve stress!!

Gord,

You are right; the spa should be a stress reliever, and a red flashing light does not sound stress-free. I would need to know what model spa you have to understand better what those lights mean. I will send you a DM to gather more info and hopefully get your spa working without red alert lights going off.
I look forward to working with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

Bought our Hot Springs hot tub 5 years ago. It cost 2 to 3 times our other options but we wanted the 7 year warranty. Next time I would go with the cheaper spa. Jets started coming apart from day one. Service tech just told us to just drain the spa and glue them back on with silicone. We have had to replace a heater. Both pumps have gone out, back massage unit went bad (hoses deteriorated and broke). We have had valves stop working (knob spins free but valve does not turn internally). We have had 3 separate leak issues.

Warranty service is terrible, and not free. They charge a warranty service fee to come out and fix the spa, repairs have taken as long as 6 weeks, and service tech break as much as they fix. They have broken the trim around the service door. There last service guy managed to gouge the hell out of our lounge seat. Probably wearing studded jeans while fixing the back massager.

They have been kind enough to "give us a break" because it's took so long to fix, only to turn around and bill us with an overdue notice 6 months later. This spa is trash. The company is trash. Try a cheaper one and replace it every 2 or 3 years. You will be money ahead, and much happier. Stops is currently down again.. Been " waiting on parts" for 3 weeks and counting. Never, never again.

Hot Spring Spas response
Joe, I am truly sorry that you have had a number of spa issues. I would like to know more about it to see how I can help. I will DM you for more details. Having all of these issues go out within a short period of time leads me to believe that there is more to know. I look forward to working with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

My wife and I saved for years to buy a hot tub. We got a flair floor model in 2014. It's turned out to be very nice when it works. I have lost count of how many pump heads, drain down fittings and control panels. 2 covers, new pillows. Now the dealership has had it since June to fix a leak. It's now Sept. 24th 2019. They have always given us the runaround about any kind of service. This has gone far enough. I feel like us country folk don't deserve the service as the high dollar people in Indy. After this much trouble the company should make it right somehow. We can't get the summer of 2019 back, how about finding us a hot tub we can be proud of.

Bruce,

I am sorry that you have been without your spa for so long. I would like to know more about this issue to see what has been going on and why it is taking so long. I will message you. Having a hot tub should be relaxing not stressful and frustrating. Everyone is entitled to enjoying a hot tub. Being without it for so long and not knowing why or when it will return in not ok. We will figure this out.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

Had nothing but problems almost from the beginning. Also just discovered that all of the steel supports are rusted out. We've had this hot tub for 7 years. Electrical and pump failures abound. Do yourself a favor and buy a Bullfrog Spa.

Hot Spring Spas response
Pamela, I am sorry about your spa. This looks like it could be an 11-year-old Limelight. I would like to know more and see if this is our spa. I will reach out to gather more information.
Thank you for your post.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

The dealer has had to come out at least once a week because air is coming out of the jets when the valves are off. It is just now a year old. I wish there was a lemon law on everything. I will never recommend this manufacturer to anyone. I wish I had never purchased this.

Hot Spring Spas response
Allen, I am truly sorry that your 1-year-old spa is in need of service. That is not how it should be. I would like to know more about this so I can see how I may help. I will also be sure to share your concerns with our team. We have been manufacturing spas for over 40 years and this is not the kind of spa experience we want our customer to have. I look forward to working with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Hot Spring Spas expert review by Kate Williams, Ph.D.

Founded in 1977, this is the world's top-selling brand. They're made by award-winning hot tub manufacturer, Watkins Manufacturing.

• Low-maintenance filtration: Hot Spring Spas offers two proprietary systems: the ACE and EverFresh systems. ACE is a salt water system, while EverFresh uses an ozone filtration system.

• Connextion: The Connextion remote monitoring system provides 24/7 monitoring with dealer alerts and remote access to the controls.

• Moto-Massage DX: Exclusive to Hot Spring Spas, this moving jet provides a powerful water stream up and down the back.

• Large dealer network: Hot Spring Spas has a global network of over 900 dealers and service centers.

• Trade-in and financing: To save money on a new spa, consumers can receive trade-in credit for an old spa towards the cost of a new spa. In addition, Hot Spring offers financing options.

• Best for: Consumers needing therapy, consumers wanting relaxation and consumers wanting family time.

Profile picture of Kate Williams, Ph.D.
Kate Williams, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kate Williams, Ph.D. believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase. She spends countless hours researching companies and industries before writing buyers guides to make sure consumers have all the information they need to make smart, informed buying decisions.

Hot Spring Spas Company Information