3.40/5
  • 1 star
Based on 42 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution
Looking for a hot tub company?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 20, 2017

42 Hot Spring Spas Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

We purchased our Hot Spring Spas (Vanguard) in June of 2010. It operated nicely for 5 years. After 2015, the Moto Massage quit working and the pump required replacement. In 2016, it began to leak and now (2017) it does not hold water. The repairs are estimated to be around $2000. We purchased Hot Spring because it was considered to be reliable; however, for the cost of purchase and repair, I would have been better off choosing a cheaper model such as Royal Spa. Very disappointed in this Hot Spring product.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Nothing but issues with Grandee since purchasing it in 2011 from Paradise Leisure and Spa. Have experienced pump not working, tub leaking several times, moto master massagers not rotating, etc etc. Tub had to be taken into their shop to figure out leaking issue. This took approx 3 months to fix. This tub was a lemon!!! I now have my tub serviced by another hot tub seller... I am done with Paradise as well as Watkins! I have written to Watkins and they could care less. DO NOT BUY A HOT SPRING PRODUCT.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

We bought our Hot Springs Grandee spa in Feb. 2013 from Luxury Pool & Spa in Midlothian, VA with the ACE salt system and speaker system. We’ve had multiple issues with it over the past 4 years, including sending it back to the manufacturer in June 2017 and have yet to see it returned (it’s been 3 months so far). The issues included having the ACE controller and control box fail twice, moto massage jets no longer working, the ACE salt system failing, Bluetooth no longer working on the stereo system, bent speaker screens at installation and a crack in the shell (in which this last issue caused it to go back to the manufacturer: Watkins in California).

When the crack appeared on 5/15/17, Rachel ** (the service representative at Luxury Pool & Spa) claimed that they didn’t have enough resources to fix it in a timely manner (it was sent to their warehouse on 6/19/17) and suggested sending to back to Watkins on 7/16/17. They also told us to call Watkins directly since “they would listen to the customer and not the dealer” on our issues. We contacted Marianne ** in customer service and emailed her a list of all the issues we’ve had with the spa on 7/17/17.

We wanted to upgrade to a newer version of the Grandee since this spa constantly had problems. She had assured us that they would fix our issues (including the ACE Salt system) and see about the upgrade once the spa had arrived. Getting updates as to where our spa was also up to us by calling the trucking company that was handling transport. Luxury Pool & Spa did not offer to do this for us. The spa did not arrive in California until 9/1/17. We were told once they did inspect it, that the crack would be repaired, new pillows and diverter knobs would be replaced and new speakers would be installed. This still did not take care of the ACE salt system or the Bluetooth issues we were having. Rachel said the ACE system was an add-on but why would they replace the speakers (which was also an add-on) but not the ACE system?

As to the upgrade, the dealer would only give us $4,000 (we paid $13,200 originally) which is an insult to us. We even tried to get Joe Gehlich (the owner) to meet with us directly to discuss our concerns but were told by Rachel that he’s too busy to meet with us. We were also not told the ACE salt system would last only about a year (the life of the warranty) and to replace it would have cost over $900 (we paid $1,295 for it originally). Needless to say, we were very unhappy to hear this, it should have been told to us up front before we bought the spa. To us, it was fraudulent behavior. The technician told us that they do fail within the first couple years and most people just never replace it because of the cost. Both Thomas Holt & Joe Gehlich (co-owners of Luxury Pool & Spa) told us at the time that the spa would be maintenance free with this ACE salt system and was a main selling point into purchasing it.

Based on our current experience, we would not recommend Luxury Pool & Spa or any Watkins product to anyone. I no longer want to own this spa with all its issues, no spa should be having these problems for being only 4 years old. Plus we’ve lost 3 months of our warranty coverage as well as good summer weather while it’s been out of commission. Based on the issues and all the time and energy we’ve spent on trying to get everything resolved, we want the spa to be taken back for $7,500 or replaced with a brand new Grandee with the $7,500 credited towards the purchase.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

We purchased our Hot Springs Spa with the Ace saltwater system in the summer of 2014. We actually love the spa itself, the quality of workmanship is excellent, it has nice finishing, very good quality materials. Our issues is not with the hot tub. It is with the Ace saltwater system. For the first year everything worked great. Starting after just after our first anniversary of the purchase problems started to develop with the saltwater conversion system. It just stopped working. After numerous visits to the dealer whom we bought it from we have still been unable to get the saltwater conversion system to work. We did numerous tests, checks, re-balancing of chemicals, etc. - we even replaced the Ace cell twice (yes 2X) now since the purchase of the tub, at a cost of over $1200 each time, but alas no go.

The dealer has tried to help us but it depends on whom you talk to as to whether they appear like they want to help or not (one person appears to be concerned, the other just keeps trying to sell me more stuff to check it with) - but that is another story. My advice to potential Hot Springs Spa buyer? Buy the tub, stay the hell away from the ACE system. You will save yourself upwards of $5000-7000 (between the Ace saltwater system price differential vs a regular spa and in replacement cell, and maintenance costs). We have resigned ourselves to the fact that this spa will only ever be a regular spa.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I have used my spa practically every day during the winter months for 8 years. What I appreciate the most about this company is the availability of replacement parts for these older models (2009 Hot Spring Spa). Most spa manufacturers do not carry parts for older spas at all. My spa has been very reliable and trouble free until this year when I needed to replace the high voltage circuit panel. Let's face it, in the real world not every component in a spa will last forever. Unlike other spas, Hot Spring designed the high voltage panel so that when it fails it will not destroy the motherboard. I also have been able to easily replace some of the softer plastic parts that started to wear out. This is the only spa manufacturer that I would recommend to anyone wishing to own a spa for the long run.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hot Spring Spas?

Original review: May 21, 2017

I have been informed that not all dealers take trade ins... like mine... in San Angelo, Texas. I have a hard time getting service because I live 30 minutes out of town. I love and need my Hot springs hot tub. It is nearly 10 years old and have only had to replace filters and the heater once. I had a 5 year warranty so that cost nothing. Now I am fixing to shell out serious cash for a new heater and cover plus whatever else needs fixing... but it is worth it.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

I have had a Hot Spring Aria with Ace and the Bluetooth Sound System. The jets are great and the different seats really allow for whatever type of massage you want. Of course we all fight for the Moto Jet! The music allows me to escape reality and relax at a whole different level. Then the Ace system keeps me sanitized at a level ready for me whenever I want to use it. I just added a pinch of chlorine when I get out.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

I purchased a Hot Springs Vanguard spa from Perry Pools in Lynchburg VA in July 2016. It started leaking in September 2016. I called for repair and was ignored. Finally I was told in November 2016 that I would have to pay a 120.00 service call fee for the tech to come out and repair my tub. I live 43 miles from the store. I drive to my office which is less than a mile from this place daily and do not use that much gas in a month! If this was a tub that was older than 3 months I could understand a service call but this is ridiculous and a rip off. I wouldn't mind paying the standard mileage fee of .56 cents allowed by the IRS but this is robbery. Never again will I ever buy anything from these people.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2016

Own the Grandee, and have it sunken halfway into the deck with the hard, fake bricks (spa stone earth). 3 LED lights under pillows failed after less than 50 hours of use over 3 years. 3 new LED lights cost $27 each. Hundred bucks delivered, tax for all 3. BUT, repairing them is the expensive part. Was told it was actually impossible. They are wired under the seats and not near the top for easy access. They are also linked in series, so you have to remove over 40-50% of insulation to access and rewire. No other options given by tech and company customer service. Apparently over a thousand dollars to fix. RIDICULOUS. Poor engineering. BUYER BEWARE!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

Terrible products. First, let me say that I my hot springs Niagara is ten years old, and in excellent shape, but is has always been problem prone. The heater boards burn out. The control panel breaks. Recently, I spent over $1,500 in purchasing a new motherboard and a new heater board. When I started up my spa, I got error messages that Tech Support at Watkins said was a burned out topside control panel. So $400 plus, a new control panel. Still, no heat, no motor control. Got Tech Support on the line (they are located in India or Africa where there is a labor shortage because the hold/wait time is always 20 minutes or longer) and running some board diagnostics, the kind tech service person said it sounded like the main control board is bad.

Really? My spa service company, quite experienced and highly regarded, just installed a new one. I read the part No., and Watkins confirmed it was the right one. Called my service company, and they said no seller, no supplier, no vendor, whatever Watkins tries to say, will refund or replace a motherboard. So I am out a $1,600 parts and labor. For trying to repair a Watkins (Hot Springs) spa using reputable spa repair companies.

This firm should be shut down, or restricted to doing business only in California. They manufacture crap. They do not stand by their products. My advice to all Hot Springs/Caldera/Watkins owners: Sell them as soon as they break down, buy anything that you can find from China, India, Bangladesh, or Vietnam. It will break down on schedule with Hot Springs/Caldera/Watkins, but for a fraction of the cost.

Original review: July 19, 2016

I bought a Hot Spring Limelight Spa in Oct 2015 with the ACE System and Bluetooth. This Spa has given me an enormous amount of problems. I have a long service record with Hot Spring after just nine months and it seems to be getting worse. First off NEVER buy the ACE system. You're better off just using straight chemicals. The first thing that blew up was the ACE control unit. It took two months and three visits to diagnose. First it was a salt issue, then they replaced the ACE cell itself ($750 if out of one year warranty period) and that didn't work, then they replaced the control module which fixed it except if you expect this thing to keep your water nicely chlorinated guess again -- it only works if you only use the tub once or twice week -- any heavy usage and the unit goes berserk you end up adding chlorine anyway.

The Bluetooth popped out on me. First was loose wires which torpedoed the sound from a speaker. The service tech fixed one. When number two blew I did it myself which should warn you about the build quality. The water went bad for some crazy reason -- cloudy as hell, stunk like week old Mexican leftovers. I SHOCKED spa but it was eating free chlorine like beer nuts. I shocked it. No fix had to do the old 600-gallon mega dump. Lo and behold I have a perfectly balanced, clean as a whistle fully running hot tub that all my friends said was the best they had seen. After nine months -- BOOM! After that last sentence you hear the pump heave and whistle and die as the control module explodes like Apollo 11 command module.

Service call again. To their credit they were out next day. Blown control module as expected no parts in stock as I would have bet my entire life savings on. One to four weeks for ANOTHER replacement no parts in stock I guess they have to order the Malaysians hand-build one at a time so now my $12K investment in the wonders of spa soaking is down again. BUYER BEWARE. These units are highly temperamental and sensitive. The more junk you add in the more problems you are guaranteed to have. I would NOT recommend these to anyone unless you need problems added into your life.

Original review: July 15, 2016

Purchased new Jetsetter NXT with ACE Salt Water System in July 2015 and have had numerous problems with the ACE Salt Water System. The dealer's technician has been called a number of times to deal with this dysfunctional salt water system. I am a retired scientist and am quite familiar with chemistry, so my maintenance of the Spa's water and Tri-X filters is NOT the problem. Sources have revealed Hot Springs Tubs know their ACE Salt Water System CANNOT handle use more than twice a week! Strange, they don't mention that in their glossy sales brochures, Hollywood style informational videos or in their instructions with their Spa. Who would buy a Spa system that can only be used twice a week? Answer = Nobody!

Original review: June 29, 2016

Extremely unhappy with this spa. From the day I purchased it I have had regular issues starting with a defective thermistor at time of delivery. Since then I have had restricted flow error messages that no one has been able to solve. Most recently I had a leak 1 month after the warranty expired and is going to now cost big dollars to repair. I would never purchase another Hot Springs again.

Original review: May 30, 2016

Had the Hot Spring Grande for seven years. Replaced cover 2x - that's okay because we live in Canada with harsh weather. The big letdown is the premier moto massage. We've replaced it 3x and its broken again. A hot tub is supposed to reduce stress not create it! $300 a shot so it adds up. Other than that - its okay. But...

Original review: March 9, 2016

I bought this one for my kid. Really good.

Original review: March 7, 2016

It did the job. Too expensive.

Original review: March 5, 2016

It work really good. Tubs are awesome to use, the water heats up really nice and does not take very long to get hot and stay there. All the feature to use are awesome on sore joints and pain. It is very strong and durability. It is made with this awesome shell and has the most advance feature that they offer. Love all of it. I just love how it is build. It has this amazing style that can fit up to 5 people comfortably with room to move around. It has a amazing color that stands out. For the price is awesome but is worth way more and tear and wear, then that holds up for year. It just amazing to have and awesome price.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2016

The performance of their hot tub is great. I have no issues with it and I've had it for about 3 years. I would definitely recommend this product to any of my friends. The durability of this product is out of this world. I've had other products in the past and this one definitely tops it. The appearance is beautiful. I have it in my backyard on my patio and it looks wonderful! I'm constantly getting compliments from friends and family when they come over. The value of it is slightly expensive but once you own one it'll definitely be worth it! I thought I was overpaying but after receiving it and having it installed I was definitely happy with it.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2016

The best experience. The best use of my money. A really great way to relax at the end of the day. Any day, any season. It's really the best all around use of money. Even with a small backyard I can enjoy it.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2016

Super comfortable. Very relaxing. Awesome tub! The installation was also included. I used it at least 3 times a week to relax after a stressed out day at work.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2016

Awesome experience. I usually feel great after bathing, and I feel like in heaven taking a bath, and I am willing to share my point of view with others, and I want that other people will also enjoy like me, and will also feel the pleasure like myself, and they will also share their feelings with others as well.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2016

It's a lovely hot tub, that gives you all the expected comfort you deserve for a relaxing bath moment. It also helps massage my body through water therapy, the hot tub has been a blessing because I use it when I want to relax because I hardly have time to go to the beach. It has a lot of outlets that jets water at different pace and patterns giving you the experiences of a lifetime. It fit in perfectly with bathroom space and its design is very beautiful. Friends come over and ask me about my hot bath always. In terms of price it's a little bit expensive but worth the price because of the advantage I get from it.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2016

We loved our hot tub so much. It was nice to go out and relax at night after a long day at work and getting the kids to bed. Watching the snow fall in the nighttime was the best.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2016

We are committed to ensuring that every Hot Spring spa is built for the reality of daily use and delivers the benefits you want in the most efficient, convenient and reliable manner.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2016

It looks very nice. The hot tub does everything they said it would. It is very easy to maintain. This hot tub looks very nice in my backyard. It also has room for few friends. We have had it for three years and still looks good as new and still works perfectly. We are very satisfied with our hot tub. I have recommended it a few of our friends.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2015

The jets on this hot tub are equal to that of a deep tissue massage. The seating is comfortable and the waterfall and lights are incredibly relaxing. You can find less expensive hot tubs but I think you get what you pay for and this tub is worth it.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

It's something unexpected. You don't know how relaxed you feel until you get in. It's perfect for relaxing your muscles after a long day of work. This is perfect to get knots out and get you reenergized. Hot tubs aren't just a luxury for the rich and famous.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2015

I've always wanted a hot tub and but I was never in a position either because I was living in an apartment or financially. When I was finally able to I think it's the best thing I've ever done.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2015

It's a regular hot tub and it's enough for me. I wish it has more features but for now it's ok. I maybe shop another hot tub in 6 or 7 months but I need to see more products.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2015

Wow! What more could I possibly say? This is helped me so much with my back pain and helps me keep my mind and soul and body at ease. Thank you for providing such a great product. I will recommend this to all my friends and family and even strangers! Great product. Keep up the good work.

Hot Spring Spas expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1977, Hot Spring Spas is the world's top selling brand. They're made by award-winning hot tub manufacturer, Watkins Manufacturing.

• Low-maintenance filtration: Hot Spring Spas offers two proprietary systems: the ACE and EverFresh systems. ACE is a salt water system, while EverFresh uses an ozone filtration system.

• Connextion: The Connextion remote monitoring system provides 24/7 monitoring with dealer alerts and remote access to the controls.

• Moto-Massage DX: Exclusive to Hot Spring Spas, this moving jet provides a powerful water stream up and down the back.

• Large dealer network: Hot Spring Spas has a global network of over 900 dealers and service centers.

• Trade-in and financing: To save money on a new spa, consumers can receive trade-in credit for an old spa towards the cost of a new spa. In addition, Hot Spring offers financing options.

• Best for: Consumers needing therapy, consumers wanting relaxation and consumers wanting family time.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs