2. Homeowners
  3. Hot Tubs

2.5/5 (112 ratings)

About Hot Spring Spas

Hot Spring spas and hot tubs have been manufactured in Vista, California, by Watkins Wellness since 1977. Hot Spring’s portable saltwater hot tubs include soothing massage features and a variety of jet options. The company also offers saltwater systems and energy-efficient models. Find accessories, including replacement covers, cover lifters and furniture, on its website.

Find Hot Tubs partners near you

Pros

• Customizable features
    • Energy-efficient models
    • Range of price tiers

Cons

• Limited warranty
    • Sold only through local dealers

Bottom Line

Customers enjoy Hot Spring Spas’ patented technology features, such as Tri-X filters, and its three different water care systems that ensure freshness. All models are customizable.

Top Hot Spring Spas Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

After spending months and months reading about hot tubs and going to dealers, we finally decided to buy the HotSpot Relay. So far (a month in) we are very happy with it. Its jets ...

Verified

The first year was fantastic. When operational, this is a fabulous hot tub. However, after a year or so the hot tub began having problems but was covered under warranty. The contr...

About Hot Spring Spas

Hot Spring Spas’ hot tubs use a variety of massage and hydrotherapy features, including rotating and directional jets, to provide owners with a therapeutic and relaxing experience. Those looking to lower their utility costs gravitate to Hot Spring Spas because the company’s SmartJet system is specifically designed to conserve energy. All of the company’s tubs are certified by the California Energy Commission and SpaSearch.

Hot Spring Spas prices

Entry-level Hot Spot Spas from Hot Spring start at $6,999 for a two- or three-person hot tub. The Limelight Collection and Highlife Collection cost $8,999 and up for premium and luxury tubs.

Prices vary based on added features, hot tub size, installation costs and taxes. Hot Spring Spas suggests reaching out to a local authorized dealer for the most accurate pricing.

Hot Spring Spa hot tubs

Hot Spring Spa offers three collections of hot tubs: Hot Spot Spas, the Limelight Collection and the Highlife Collection. Available features for the spas include wireless remote controls, large power indicator lights and patented pump shrouds as well as Hot Springs’ dual Freshwater Salt and Ozone systems.

• Highlife Collection: All Highlife Collection models — Grandee, Vanguard, Sovereign, Envoy, Aria, Prodigy, Triumph, Jetsetter and Jetsetter LX — come with multiple jet configurations, Tri-X filters, customizable lighting and multilayered foam insulation. Hot Springs manufactures the Highlife Collection with polymer and ABS-backed acrylic shells to create a strong and durable product. Select models also include sculpted seating, such as the captain’s chair included with the Highlife Collection’s Envoy model.
    • Limelight Collection: The Limelight Collection features five models: Prism, Pulse, Flash, Flair, and Beam. All models include a variety of jet styles and fit from four to seven people. With a full-color LCD screen, a power indicator light that shows when the hot tub is ready, exterior lighting and optional wireless entertainment, the Limelight Collection offers all of Hot Spring’s best features without the hefty price tag.
    • Hot Spot Spas: The most popular Hot Spot models — Tempo, Relay and Rhythm — come with a variety of seating, lighting and massage jet options. The Relay includes lounge seating, cushioned headrests and LED lights that can be dimmed for a relaxing nighttime soak. Select Hot Spot models can fit up to seven people, and every model includes multiple jet configurations, an insulated cover and the option to add wireless entertainment.

Hot Spring Spa maintenance

Hot Spring Spas’ Ozone system with MPS and silver ions makes water care easy — tubs with this system only require weekly maintenance. The saltwater systems found in Hot Spring Spas’ Limelight and Highlife Collection require even less attention and offer up to a full year of sanitation. With the FreshWater Salt System, small amounts of salt are converted into chlorine to flush out any bacteria or germs within the water.

It’s important to rinse out hot tub filters once a month to avoid any clogging. The company recommends you perform a deep clean every three to four months. The patented Tri-X filters featured in the Highlife Collection are dishwasher safe, which makes them easier to clean. Depending on the amount of use, the company recommends that you drain and refill your hot tub three to four times per year. Once drained, you can clean the spa shell.

Hot Spring Spas warranty

Hot Spot Spas come with a five-year warranty on their no-leak shell and a two-year warranty on components, including the MotoMassage jet and no-fault heater. The LED light assemblies in the Tempo, Relay and Rhythm models also come with a two-year warranty.

The Limelight Collection and Highlife Collection come with a seven-year warranty on the no-leak shell and a five-year warranty on components and Everwood cabinet material. The wireless remote control battery included in the Highlife Collection comes with a one-year warranty. Local authorized dealers can explain additional warranties.

Hot Spring Spas’ hot tubs must be serviced by an authorized technician or you run the risk of voiding the warranty.

Hot Spring Spas FAQ

How much do Hot Spring Spas cost?
    Most hot tubs from Hot Spring Spas start at $6,999. A premium hot tub for four adults with a FreshWater Salt System, multicolor lighting, an LCD control panel and FiberCor insulation costs between $9,000 and $10,000. Hot Spring Spas’ prices vary based on features, size and local taxes.
    How long do Hot Springs hot tubs last?
    At a minimum, most Hot Spring Spas hot tubs last five years. A well-maintained hot tub can last 20 years or more.
    How do I connect my Bluetooth to my Hot Spring hot tub?
    Connecting a Bluetooth to your Hot Spring hot tub is easy — simply select “Blue” or "Bluetooth" as the source on your hot tub’s audio setup menu and pair your device by choosing “My spa” on the device menu. Hot Springs’ Bluetooth speaker system has a range of up to 30 feet.
    How often does Hot Spring Spas have sales?
    Hot Spring Spas offers sales throughout the year. Most authorized dealers clear out their inventory during the fall, which is a good time to shop for deals and promotions.
    What is the ACE Salt Water System?
    The ACE Salt Water System is available in Hot Spring Spas’ Highlife Collection, Highlife Collection NXT and Limelight Collection hot tubs. This system uses small amounts of salt in the water and converts it to chlorine so that the hot tub’s water stays fresh and sanitized without the use of bottled chlorine.

Are Hot Spring Spa hot tubs worth it?

Hot Spot Spas offer a value-priced and budget-friendly option with all of the Hot Spring’s best features — energy-efficiency, FiberCor insulation, the Freshwater Ozone System and FROG @ease in-line cartridges. For hot tub owners looking to upgrade their hot tub, the Limelight Collection provides a premium hot tub with dual FreshWater Salt and Ozone systems, colored lighting and FiberCor insulation. The Highlife Collection combines all the best features of these collections into a line of sleek and luxurious hot tubs.

Hot Spring Spas Reviews

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: July 2, 2021

Bought a JET SETTER NXT on 6/28/16. I also opted for the FRESH WATER III High-output Ozone Purification System. I live alone, a widow and 66 years old, and used the spa about 3X a week in the winter. It RARELY gets used in the summer. I was told that the salt water system was THE WAY TO GO!!! Don’t do it as you will spend more time trying to keep the water balanced then actually using the spa!! THEN when damage is done to your spa because of this, they will say it is not covered by warranty as damage was caused by misuse of the consumer!!!

I clean the filters and replace them regularly. I depend on the salt water system to monitor salinity level. I use test strips for other correct levels, such as PH, etc... The maintenance on this is not for the WEAK OF HEART!!! Topside remote hand controller had to finally be replaced within the first year of use because of malfunction. Many times before the replacement, I had to do continuous resets on it to even be able to have it read salt content in the water. It now has to be replaced again.

Spa was leaking a little each week in the first year I had it. Would have to continuously top it off, which usually would throw the salt water reading off. Was told over and over that I probably did not tighten the drain plug enough. FINALLY, after continuous phone calls, they came out and WONDER OF WONDERS, it had a leak on the underside of the shell that had obviously been there quite some time as it was stained with orange and green slime. That leak had been spraying on the interior motherboard and other electrical components. The tech repaired the leak, and decided that the motherboard was working correctly when refilled and fired up. He did replace the topside inset controller and the hand controller.

Now for the straw that broke the camel’s back…. Spa started causing my breaker panel to trip beginning of 2020. I called to report this. Was told not to worry because it was still under warranty. Called in Sept or Oct of 2020. FINALLY, in the early spring of 2021, a tech came and said that there was ANOTHER leak caused by a break in the PVC pipe connected to the water pump. He also noted all of the other problems with this spa. Rusted metal rings around all the jets, leaking interior light, failing water pump.

Then I had to wait until mid June 2021 for them to come and fix it. I was told, just prior to this visit, that they had decided to just pick the spa up and take it back to COMPLETELY service it. Supposedly, all parts had been ordered and FINALLY were in stock. Supposedly nothing was going to be a problem. Was original told that that is usually a $500.00 charge for this, but they were literally just 3 miles from me delivering a spa and were headed back with an empty trailer and would do it for free since I have been having so many problems and have waiting so long.

I called them just yesterday (6 weeks after they picked this spa up) and was now told ALL PROBLEMS ARE CAUSED BY USER MISUSE and thus not covered by warranty!!!! REALLY!!?! A broken PVC pipe, spraying water on electrical components is my fault?!?! Little white spots all over the interior shell. Was told that this damage is not covered under warranty as it is caused by misuse by the consumer because of water imbalance. Same thing with rust spots on the metal rings around the Jets. Was told this was my fault also. In a salt water system, we depend on the spa readings to know that everything is working in the GREEN. But no matter what damage happens, it will always be thrown back to the fault of the consumer, not the fault of the salt water system itself malfunction. I told them to just FIX THE LEAK and all electrical damage that this caused. I truly doubt that they even ordered any parts and had this outcome planned all along.

With all the downtime, I have probably have only about 40 total hours of use since original purchase. LEMON>>LEMON>>> And now everything is MY FAULT!!! I still do not have use of my spa, and am not holding my breath that I ever will be again.. I see that Watkins customer service usually replies to most posts, but that does nothing for the consumer, as actions speak louder than words.

After reading all these other complaints, this one complaint stood out to me. Although it does not apply to me (RIGHT NOW, but only time will tell)... Topside controller no longer being produced. Hot Springs Spa says that they make sure that parts are available for 20 years from original purchase. I understand that a part no longer being produced is not the fault of Hot Springs, but THEY should be responsible for any extra cost incurred because of the resulting problem of that part now being incompatible with the existing control box. BEWARE because they will pass that cost onto the consumer!!!

Hot Spring Spas response
    Nancy, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am sorry to hear you are not happy with your water care system. I want to help.
    I will contact you to verify the details of your spa. As it turns out, you mentioned two different water care systems, and I want to make sure I am addressing your needs appropriately.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

I have had two Hot Spring Spas. The 1st one lasted 10 years plus - as I left it my previous home. I purchased the largest spa with a recliner built available in 2009 - Vista for 7 people and 500 Gallons. It has worked incredible well - use it daily. I have had to replace 1 pump at about 7 years - reasonable. I then had a severe leak that required taking it to the dealership and have it totally dug out, the plumbing replaced, and refoamed 3 years ago. It took 3 months and $3500.00 to repair ($1,000 was to pick up and return from dealership).

Now it is severely leaking again (Like 1/4 of tub in a day). Had service come to look at it and it is not near the front (pump section) to easily repair. So now I can take it out and spend another 3500.00 and hope it works for a while, or buy a new one. Problem is that my dealership will not have one my size - a Grandee, the color I want for 9 months, the cost has increased 70 %, and it has the removable remote that seems to be having a lot of problems from the reviews I have read. So the warranty will be over and the cost to replace is at least 1 grand at a time. I am almost tempted to redo the plumbing again to fix the leak to avoid the new electronics. But the repair shop at the dealership recommends I buy a new one.

Hot Spring Spas response
    Oh wow! Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I am sorry this has been your experience. Thank you for being a loyal Hot Spring spa owner. I will reach out to you and see how I may help.
    Thank you for your time, and I look forward to working with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Get buying tips about Hot Tubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

Purchased Envoy NXT in 2015 with Salt Cell Option. Spa has been maintained meticulously according to instructions and is used 1.5 hours per week. Jet sand mechanicals work well, but have had constant trouble with spa covers and salt cell (approx) every single year. My local long time Spa Dealer was knowledgeable/helpful until he was "dropped by Hot Springs" during yet another warranty event (which occurred before and during these COVID shutdowns).

I cannot get long time Spa Dealer to respond. I cannot get Hot Springs to help me either. They both point at each other, they both are responsible to provide me a cover and salt cell under warranty. Every Hot Tub Cover(s) provided under the warranty and purchased do not arrive in good condition, obvious manufacturing problems and then quickly (2 months) deteriorate seams stretch and vinyl literally melts/stretches over the side of spa top, which allows rain water leakage into the spa. This causes continuous/frequent water balancing problems every time it rains and then the salt cell overworks and this creates a shortened life span as described in manual.

I now have a $1500 problem EACH YEAR just in cover and spa salt cell expense because of lemon products + $ filters and chemical maintenance on my hands each year. I can't use chlorine for medical reasons... The spa accessories are ruining my hot tub experience and performance. Disappointed that Hot Springs did not contact me when they decided to no longer do business with the local dealer that I purchased from. We are long time spa owners/users. Never had trouble with covers like this. I previously had a cover that was 10 years old and still going strong when we gave it away!

Karin,
      I am sorry to hear this has been your spa experience.
      Water care should not be frustrating. I am sure we can devise a plan to get your salt online.
      Watkins backs your spa warranty. If the local dealer is no longer available, we step in and find you a service dealer.
      I will DM you to learn more and see how I can help.
      Thank you for taking the time to reach out, and I look forward to working with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

We purchased our Envoy at cost of £14,000 and had delivered in Sept 2020. It has sadly been one big disappointment. We were sold the idea of the freshwater salt system as good for your skin and easy to maintain. What a joke that has been, we have spent more time trying to sort out and monitor the water quality and cleaning filters than using the tub! The salt system simply does not work, it does not generate the chlorine required to maintain levels, so every few days when the reading drops to 1 -2 we have to add chlorine granules. I specifically chose a spa where we wouldn't have to do this as it irritates my skin and this has now set off my eczema requiring steroid cream from the doctor.

We are experienced hot tub owners having run 2 hots tubs previously for 12-14 years without any issues whatsoever. All along we have been blamed for 'contaminating the water' and causing the water balance issues even when it was green! I am sick of being told 'some people just don't get on with it' implying that we have chosen not to like it or make the effort in maintenance. We have spent more time on this than any other hot tub which has detracted significantly from it being a pleasure to own, we seem to have bought a lemon!

The set up was not done properly and we did not receive the required instructions. Eventually they have replaced the salt controller but it has made absolutely no difference whatsoever, the chlorine levels drop every 2-3 days consistently even though it doesn't have heavy use and we regularly clean the filters. Now we are being told it may be a phosphate problem. 2 months in it is clearly not as described and the salt system does not work. Customer service leaves a lot to be desired. Appalling product for a high cost.

Hello Caroline,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. I am sorry to hear it has been disappointing. I want to help. Can you tell me who your dealer is and your full name?

I know this has been frustrating, and as a veteran spa owner, water care should not be this difficult.

I am sure this can be worked out, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

My husband and I are both disabled Veterans and this hot tub is great therapy for us. We bought this almost 5 years ago. We have had nothing but problems since we bought it. All of our repairs have been under warranty thus far: 2 door replacements, 2 remote replacements, heater replacement, ozone thing replacement, light seal replacement. I called in for service in September and was told the guy would be out in two weeks. Three weeks later I called back in and they said it was going to be another 4 weeks. There is only one authorized dealer within 100 miles of us and they SUCK. They only came out fast because I called Hot Springs directly and complained. They replaced a part and had to order parts so they can replace the docking station and the remote AGAIN.

Since they came out, we are now leaking and now we have a jet leaking which they say they have to completely remove the tub, haul it to their shop (at our expense mind you) so they can work on it. They said we "might" get it back by January. This is completely ridiculous. I can't believe that we purchased this for the price of a car and have this many problems.

Hot Spring Spas response
      I am sorry to hear that your spa is again in need of service. I see that our team has reached out to you to learn more about your spa and see how we can help. Your spa operation and enjoyment are important to us.
      I will email you as well. I look forward to working with you soon.
      Thank you for your post.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

I purchased a hot tub 4 years ago. This year at the beginning of Spring we noticed it was leaking. The same part keeps getting replaced and keeps leaking after months of waiting for someone to come to look at it in between. The last time someone came I was told they were going to replace all the parts in it and we waited for two months for the parts. He came today and replaced the same fitting he has been replacing. He was supposed to replace the hot tub cover that I paid for too but said he brought the wrong one. What do I have to to do to get this fixed. This is totally ridiculous!

Hello Janis,

Thank you for reaching out and letting us know about your spa experience. I want to help. I will DM you to see how I can assist. Owning a hot tub should be enjoyable and relaxing. I will do my best to make that happen.
      I look forward to working with you.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

Pitiful... Read the other 1-star reviews and mine is nearly identical. The salt system doesn't work worth a nickel. The customer service at Watkins Wellness, the manufacturer, is non-existent. Just plain awful. Never again am I going to buy anything made by Watkins! Pitiful!

Hello Nelson,

I am sorry to hear that you are disappointed in your spa salt system. I understand that this has been your experience, and I would like to work with you and get your spa water care on track.
      Thank you for your time and for reaching out.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

Our first Hot Spring spa we bought 21 or so years ago was great. It was the big one that was the shape of a dog bowl. We moved after having that tub about 15-16 years. We did have to replace parts here and there (heater, etc), but things I would expect to have to replace over time. After we moved it was a no brainer to spend the extra money to get another Hot Spring (smaller one). Things were fine the first few years then lots of little things started failing. At year 6 it started leaking. We've been getting by by topping off every few days but now it's pointless. We were told it's expensive and difficult to repair leaks that are inside the insulation. 6.5 years for an expensive hot tub like this is extremely disappointing. Will look for a replacement but sadly won't be looking at Hot Springs. What happened to your quality. Major failure of "infrastructure" at 6.5 years?

Hot Spring Spas response
      Barry, I am sorry your second spa did not fare as well as your first. I appreciate your feedback, and I will make sure to share it with our team. Please know after 6+ years, we have made innovative changes and updates to our spas. We are continuously working to provide a wonderful hot tub experience. I hope you find your perfect spa and thank you for being a long time Hot Spring Spa owner.
      Happy Hot Tubbing!

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Sept. 27, 2020

Hot tub began leaking 1 month after their five year “no leaks” warranty expired. Hot Spring said, "Too bad, warranty had expired." You would think a product this expensive would not leak after just five years. Very poor customer service. Will not buy nor recommend Hot Spring hot tubs.

Resolution response: Nov. 9, 2020

Hot Spring converted our hot tub to remove the ACE system of maintaining it by adding an in-line "ozinator", and bypassing the ACE system. No more salt water. Although we will miss the ACE feature, we're happy to have a reliable system of maintenance so we can enjoy the hot tub. To Hot Spring's credit, they covered the expense of modifying our hot tub. Our thanks to Family Time Spas - the local Hot Spring dealer - and The Spa Doctor, who, together, resolved the issues. They are to be commended for their excellent customer support!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

We purchased a new top of the line Hot Spring Envoy NXT tub in October 2018. We've had nothing but problems with it since it was installed. We opted for the ACE salt water system - and it has been trouble ever since. The original dealer put WAY too much salt in the tub initially, causing it to corrode the jets, and in my opinion - most likely destroy the ACE salt water system cell and damage the shell of the tub. We smelled like we had just taken a chlorine bath every time we used it for the first 6 months. About that time, the dealership we purchased it from went out of business, and a different company took over - thank goodness! The new dealership - Family Time Spa - is amazing! Great service! We wish the quality of the Hot Spring Ace system matched their performance!

To Hot Spring's credit, they provided a free replacement ACE cell and replacement jets. That worked for a few months. Then, the system would not keep the chlorine level at the required point, despite every attempt by service technicians to correct the problem. Apparently we got the "last" ACE system model before Hot Spring developed a new and improved version. We've even had a technician from Telluride - home of movie stars and high rollers - try to solve the problem. He said that he "hates" the ACE system, resulting from his numerous experiences with them.

So, here we are, unable to effectively use the ACE system to maintain sanitation levels in our very expensive, BMW designed, Hot Spring Envoy NXT hot tub. The recommendation from consultation with Hot Spring and technicians is to convert to the standard chemical approach to keeping our pricey tub at the optimum levels to ensure sanitation. That's amazingly disappointing, after being convinced by Hot Spring that the ACE system was the latest, greatest and most effective approach to hot tub sanitation. If we had to do it over, we would look elsewhere for a hot tub. We previously had a Dimension One top of the line tub, and enjoyed it for over 10 years without a problem. This has been a very frustrating, irritating experience... and costly too.

Hello Joe,
      Your home is gorgeous. Thank you for taking the time to share your spa experience. I am sorry water care has been frustrating; that shouldn't be the case. Our salt system has been in use for over ten years, and in 2019 we redesigned the cartridge port and cartridge; however, the technology is the same. I want to help. Please look for a DM from me.

Vanessa - Customer Sercice