Looking for a hot tub company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.72/5

Hot Spring Spas Reviews

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I have had my Hot Springs Grandee now for 10 months. The spa I absolutely love, in it almost every day. CoolZone has not worked right from day one, today was service call number 5, they said they couldn't fix it, needed an AC man. They left and said they would not charge me because they couldn't fix it. KEEP IN MIND LESS THAN 1 YEAR OLD, NEVER HAS WORKED RIGHT. Hot Spring help me out.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

All the reds lights go on at least once a week since I got it 4 months ago, dealer says it may not be warranty and may have to charge for the service call but I have maintained the filters and tub daily, I thought hot tubs were to relieve stress!!

Gord,

You are right; the spa should be a stress reliever, and a red flashing light does not sound stress-free. I would need to know what model spa you have to understand better what those lights mean. I will send you a DM to gather more info and hopefully get your spa working without red alert lights going off.
I look forward to working with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Get expert buying tips about Hot Tubs delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

My wife and I saved for years to buy a hot tub. We got a flair floor model in 2014. It's turned out to be very nice when it works. I have lost count of how many pump heads, drain down fittings and control panels. 2 covers, new pillows. Now the dealership has had it since June to fix a leak. It's now Sept. 24th 2019. They have always given us the runaround about any kind of service. This has gone far enough. I feel like us country folk don't deserve the service as the high dollar people in Indy. After this much trouble the company should make it right somehow. We can't get the summer of 2019 back, how about finding us a hot tub we can be proud of.

Bruce,

I am sorry that you have been without your spa for so long. I would like to know more about this issue to see what has been going on and why it is taking so long. I will message you. Having a hot tub should be relaxing not stressful and frustrating. Everyone is entitled to enjoying a hot tub. Being without it for so long and not knowing why or when it will return in not ok. We will figure this out.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

Bought our Hot Springs hot tub 5 years ago. It cost 2 to 3 times our other options but we wanted the 7 year warranty. Next time I would go with the cheaper spa. Jets started coming apart from day one. Service tech just told us to just drain the spa and glue them back on with silicone. We have had to replace a heater. Both pumps have gone out, back massage unit went bad (hoses deteriorated and broke). We have had valves stop working (knob spins free but valve does not turn internally). We have had 3 separate leak issues.

Warranty service is terrible, and not free. They charge a warranty service fee to come out and fix the spa, repairs have taken as long as 6 weeks, and service tech break as much as they fix. They have broken the trim around the service door. There last service guy managed to gouge the hell out of our lounge seat. Probably wearing studded jeans while fixing the back massager.

They have been kind enough to "give us a break" because it's took so long to fix, only to turn around and bill us with an overdue notice 6 months later. This spa is trash. The company is trash. Try a cheaper one and replace it every 2 or 3 years. You will be money ahead, and much happier. Stops is currently down again.. Been " waiting on parts" for 3 weeks and counting. Never, never again.

Hot Spring Spas response
Joe, I am truly sorry that you have had a number of spa issues. I would like to know more about it to see how I can help. I will DM you for more details. Having all of these issues go out within a short period of time leads me to believe that there is more to know. I look forward to working with you soon.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

Had nothing but problems almost from the beginning. Also just discovered that all of the steel supports are rusted out. We've had this hot tub for 7 years. Electrical and pump failures abound. Do yourself a favor and buy a Bullfrog Spa.

Hot Spring Spas response
Pamela, I am sorry about your spa. This looks like it could be an 11-year-old Limelight. I would like to know more and see if this is our spa. I will reach out to gather more information.
Thank you for your post.

Vanessa - Customer Service

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hot Spring Spas?

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

The dealer has had to come out at least once a week because air is coming out of the jets when the valves are off. It is just now a year old. I wish there was a lemon law on everything. I will never recommend this manufacturer to anyone. I wish I had never purchased this.

Hot Spring Spas response
Allen, I am truly sorry that your 1-year-old spa is in need of service. That is not how it should be. I would like to know more about this so I can see how I may help. I will also be sure to share your concerns with our team. We have been manufacturing spas for over 40 years and this is not the kind of spa experience we want our customer to have. I look forward to working with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I bought this spa a long time ago and got rid of it years ago too. It was a fantastic spa for the first 4 years or so. I used it every day and loved it. One day -- about 4 years in -- my dog started barking at the control panel. Shortly thereafter, I smelled something burning and the breaker popped. I reset it and it worked and I shrugged. (I used to have one in the mountains and the breaker would pop all the time...) A week or so later I smelled something horrible around the tub but couldn't find anything.

As the smell got worse, I noticed it was coming from the pump compartment. I pulled the access panel and the whole thing was filled with festering rat carcasses and related. One rat hit two contacts on something and got crisped -- must have been the burning smell. Another crawled in a void beneath a bracket, got stuck, and died a slow death. It was just disgusting. It looked like the rats exploded in there. I cleaned it all out and was able to get rid of the smells.

Of course I called Hot Springs to ask about this and the obvious gap the rats entered through which is at the bottom of that panel and 3/4" x 2+ feet. (Any rat up to a pound is easily moving through a 1/2" slit opening.) They said, "Oh, you need the rat guard. We sell a lot of those. We can have someone over tomorrow to install one tomorrow." I asked if it would be free since it was an obvious design flaw. They said no way. "Your warranty is over blah blah." At this point, what are you gonna do. So, the ** ex-marine who bragged about running people off the highway in his fancy utility truck fixed it.

It was OK for a little less than a year after that. I noticed some weird white floaties and found out it was tissue mold. I had been servicing and replacing filters on schedule. I was not as tight as possible on ph management though. So, I got better on all that but the tissue mold kept coming back. After many drains and refills -- which aren't free -- I didn't know what to do. I also noticed the tub was losing water a little faster than normal. It was on a foundation with gravel so no leak would accumulate where I could see it. But, I had a pest inspection of the whole property and they found termites in the wood framing of the tub. Great!

I had to empty and lift the tub to find it was leaking near the filter. But, fixing that would have been another nightmare with their Rambo repair guy. My neighbor just redid his patio and asked me about my tub. I told him he could have it if he removed it from my property. He priced a new one and thought he got the deal of the century. I pointed out all the issues I knew of and he came and got it on a dolly and wheeled it home. I went to visit few weeks later and there was a huge area of white residue on his new, tinted and stamped fancy concrete. I laughed out loud. He never talked to me much after that...

These guys are running on a name that probably used to be good, a happy initial customer experience, and weird salespeople who exude sexual energy in a creepy way. I think the whole industry seems a little shady but this was pretty bad. Just for the Hot Springs folks who will read this: Tub was purchased in Santa Cruz in 1998 for delivery in San Jose. At least at that time, all repairs came out of the Santa Cruz office (which means they whine about cost of the tech driving 40 minutes each way). There was only one tech at that time and you will know who that was. They got me for about 6 grand plus. If any company sold more common products at this price range -- like boats -- with this kind of service and reliability, we would not be talking about them because they wouldn't exist. I'm really glad I found this page since I've always wanted to share this.

Hello Berry,

WOW! This is an extraordinary spa experience. The details you provide are beneficial. I can see that it's been almost 20 yrs since you had the spa and this is a story you have always wanted to share. I wish that we could have found a better way to resolve it so that you would still have a spa you could relax in. I will be sure to share your review with our team. Feel free to DM me any additional comments or concerns. Thank you for your time and post.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

We purchased a Vista 6 person hot tub in 2012. The massaging jets in the lounger have never consistently worked properly. Have had the tubes replaced twice while under warranty. We had a leak while tub was still in warranty that was repaired by Atlantic Spa in Raleigh. Now the tub is leaking again and they have indicated the cost will be very expensive and they don't recommend repairs and told us to just keep putting stop leak in the tub. We have also had to have the pump replaced twice at our expense. We purchased a Hot Spring product because it is suppose to be the best on the market. I'm not sure I agree with this.

Hello Linda,

I am sorry to hear that you have several service issues with your spa. I would like to know more about it to see how I may help. After 7 years your spa is out of warranty. While we don't recommend stop leak products, however, I can understand why some may use it. The best way to fix a leak is to find the leaking area and repair it. There are several reasons why these issues may come up. I would like to explore what options are available and work with your dealer.

Vanessa CS

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

First Grandee purchased June, 2010. Replaced under warranty after close to a dozen service calls. Bad ACE system, and 2 leaks within 5 years. Second Grandee installed June of 2015. Lo and behold another leak that requires to be taken to shop - costing me $1,500 - and the fancy wireless remote stopped displaying... I have serious doubts about Hot Spring's claims on longevity based on my experience. I spend more to get quality products but in this case feel duped as it may be better just to go the cheap route knowing you will have to replace your hot tub sooner than later as anticipated with a Hot Spring.... Very frustrating. And Hot Spring/Watkins does not call back. They need a lesson on quality control.

Hello Brian,

I am sorry to hear that your spa is in need of repair. That is not a good representation of our spas and then to happen twice, that is not ok. I can understand that this is frustrating. I will reach out to you for more information and see how I can help.
Thank you for your post. I look forward to working with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Updated on 09/30/2019: Unsatisified phony attempt to help. You notice that when Watkins Hot Springs responds they say they want to help but do nothing to help. They said they contacted my supplier Pioneer Pools in Burlington. Did nothing. Still had to pay $700.00 to replace a perfectly good Control Board so I could have new control panel replaced for the second time in 5 years. Pioneer Pools took 30% off and charged for install. Still made money off the poor quality of Hot Springs Hot Tubs. Buyer beware.

Original review: Purchased a HOT SPOT spa by Hot Springs in 2013. Parts are garbage. Topside control had to be replaced after only 2 years. Now again 3 years later same part needs to be replaced but no longer available. Have to order new control board at $850.00 and different control panel. Stay away from Hot Springs.

Hello Dave,
Thank you for your post. As it turns out, the manufacture of the topside is no longer making them. We desire to have parts available for spas up to 20 yrs. We needed to work with another manufacturer to create a retrofit part. Unfortunately, it is no longer compatible with the control box, and it will need to be replaced. I would like to see if there is something I can do to help with your repair. I will contact you directly.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Hot Spring Spas expert review by Kate Williams, Ph.D.

Founded in 1977, this is the world's top-selling brand. They're made by award-winning hot tub manufacturer, Watkins Manufacturing.

• Low-maintenance filtration: Hot Spring Spas offers two proprietary systems: the ACE and EverFresh systems. ACE is a salt water system, while EverFresh uses an ozone filtration system.

• Connextion: The Connextion remote monitoring system provides 24/7 monitoring with dealer alerts and remote access to the controls.

• Moto-Massage DX: Exclusive to Hot Spring Spas, this moving jet provides a powerful water stream up and down the back.

• Large dealer network: Hot Spring Spas has a global network of over 900 dealers and service centers.

• Trade-in and financing: To save money on a new spa, consumers can receive trade-in credit for an old spa towards the cost of a new spa. In addition, Hot Spring offers financing options.

• Best for: Consumers needing therapy, consumers wanting relaxation and consumers wanting family time.

Profile picture of Kate Williams, Ph.D.
Kate Williams, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kate Williams, Ph.D. believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase. She spends countless hours researching companies and industries before writing buyers guides to make sure consumers have all the information they need to make smart, informed buying decisions.

Hot Spring Spas Company Information