Looking for a hot tub company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

2.97/5

62 Hot Spring Spas Consumer Reviews

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 24, 2019

Since we have had this hot tub we have had to replace the Ace reader at $900 and now 18 months later it is not working again. Having to invest this kind of money every 18 months is ridiculous. No wonder they only have a one year warranty, they know the part is inferior and won’t last longer than that. Our hot tub gets serviced quarterly by a professional company and it is only used about a dozen times a year at max. The grandkids come over and use it for 20 minutes. Pretty expensive per use!! Would not recommend.

Hot Spring Spas response
Eldon, I am sorry to hear about your spa experience. The salt ACE cell will need to be replaced periodically, on average every 2 years. I would like to work with you and see what adjustments can be made to have the cell last another 6 months. Thank you for your post and I look forward to working with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 23, 2019

Purchased the Pulse model from a local dealer about 18 months. Since that time we have experienced ongoing issues with the unit. Most recently the spa has gone into protection mode twice in the last 6 months with the Hi limit thermistor needing replacement. We are also experiencing a burning smell from the vent area after about 30 minutes of usage. This issue has been occurring from the beginning and the tech keeps telling us everything checks on our meter so it should be good. Use the unit on the same day, and sure enough there is the burning smell.

Currently have to restrict the time usage between pump 1 and 2 to use the spa for extended period of time. Going into our retailer and speaking with the manager points out that their spas normal run all day, with no overheating/burning smell. So even though our retailer has been easy to work with on the repairs, growing concerns of longevity and cost of use after the warranty has expired are coming to mind.

Hot Spring Spas response
Matt, Thank you for your post and for bringing this to our attention. I want to help and get your spa in working order. I will contact you privately to learn the details of your purchase. I want to work with the techs to see how we can resolve this issue.
I look forward to working with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Get expert buying tips about Hot Tubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Issues basically since day 1. This tub had the ACE system which I would not recommend to anyone. This broke about 14 months in only to be told that it was $1100 to fix. Advised no one replaces due to the high cost and now I learn from my dealer this product has never been perfected for hot tub. If it has not then why sell and promote. A $1100 maintenance item every year and a half is a little much. 2nd item is the 'hush' pump. Went thru roughly 4 of these. No cost. This was warrantied and appreciated.

3rd item - this is dealer's issue. Told like many others...if you have ACE.. no need for stain and scale weekly dose. I questioned this multiple times during water checks. Only reason was I used this all the time on my Beachcomber. About the same time as the ACE system...all the jets started showing signs of rust. Tech comes out and says I should be using stain and scale weekly. Since I was one of many customers... dealer took this on. Again ~ $1100 to replace all jets.

4th item started in 2018. Noticed some dampness on the cement near the front of the tub. Called tech in. Spent 2 mins and said it's the motor. Replacement Watkins motor. $1100 (I sense a theme?). I get the motor replaced and reinstalled. All should be good? No. Still leaking. Tech comes out. And after a fair bit of investigation... he now sees it's leaking from the tub. One of the jets. Or more than likely the Moto Massage. Now I am out of warranty. Past 5 years. By the time this was all identified it was getting late fall. Closed it up .... to deal with in the spring.

Now in spring they are saying the skirting will need removed. Hard or almost impossible to do because of the glue. No cost yet but sensing a multiple of the $1100 I am quoted for everything else. This tub cost me $10000 ... chronologically coming up to 6 years but not used much at all. It now looks like throwaway. I cannot in good faith recommend Hot Springs. I am not a new hot tub owner. I had a Beachcomber for 15 years. Same heater and rebuilt motor every 5 years. No issues. Just decided to get bigger. Thought Hot Springs was a superior product. I was wrong.

Hot Spring Spas response
Doug, I am sorry that you have not had a positive hot tub experience with Hot Spring. I would like to see what I can do to change that. Looks like with some assistance and updated spa operations we can help you get back to relaxing in your spa. Thank you for posting your review your feedback is essential.

I look forward to working with you soon. Vanessa - Customer Service.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 6, 2019

I purchased a Hot Springs Vanguard back in 2011 and thought the world of it...until now. Now it seems mice have moved in and chewed some lines causing some leaks. Well...thinking that should be simple enough, I contacted my local dealership, who told me that the cost of hacking through all of the foam insulation and hot glue would make the cost of repairs almost more than the cost of a new tub. It seems that there should be a better way to insulate the tubs. I paid more than 11k for this tub and now to be told that it is “up to me” whether I want to spend the 5 or 6 THOUSAND just to repair it is outrageous. I have always been a loyal Hot Spring customer, but this just seems like a racket. With the excessive foam and hot glue supporting long labor times and the cost of labor/repairs basically forcing customers to buy new vice repairing. Shame on you Hot Spring. Shame.

Hot Spring Spas response

Roy, I am sorry to hear that mice have created such damage. The spa is engineered to maximize energy usage and keep your hot tub hot without added charge. While an in foam leak repair can be costly, it is a rare repair. Your spa is only 8yrs old and most likely can be fixed. I will reach out to you to see how we might be able to assist. In the meantime I hope that you have been able to exterminate the mice to prevent further damage. Thank you for your post. Vanessa - Customer Service

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: April 29, 2019

Updated on 5/30/2019: I wrote a review a while ago which can be found on this site stating that my Flair hot tub pumps had failed, the casings on the small internal lights were cracked and one of the exterior panels was cracked, only one year out of warranty. After that review, I was contacted by Vanessa from Watkins stating she wanted to help. I was encouraged. Vanessa and I communicated via email but ultimately she offered no help. In fact, she referred me back to the company where I originally bought the tub. So it appears that, since Vanessa responds to many reviews, her job is to give the appearance online that Watkins really cares about solving a customer’s problems, when actually it’s only a show. Don’t be fooled.

Original Review: I was very happy with my tub until the warranty ran out. Once it did, so did the service. Seven months after the warranty ran out both my pumps began to leak, something keeps tripping the 30 amp breaker, the shell has a small crack and all the little lights on the inside of the tub are also cracked. I contacted the local sales person and he came out to research the tripping problem and was told by the manufacturing company to unplug the lights and see if that solved the tripping problem. It didn't and I haven't seen him since. As for the pumps leaking, I was told by the manufacturer that it was caused by me not keeping the chemicals at the proper level. I check the chemicals at least twice a week because I use the tub a lot. Chemicals are always at the proper level. I sent them a picture of the chemical levels. I haven't heard from them in two months either. Don't buy a Hot Springs tub.

Hot Spring Spas response

Update: I'm glad that your original dealer contacted you for out of warranty service that we are willing to assist with. However, because you purchased your spa out of your area the travel fee was more than you'd hope for. The warranty covers parts & labor only. Even though you are well outside of the warranty coverage we still would like to help. I messaged you an option that I hope you are willing to work with. We would like you to be able to enjoy your spa. I look forward to hearing from you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hot Spring Spas?

Original review: April 19, 2019

Dean was very helpful and very friendly as well as welcoming to the business. I was looking for a replacement part for my pool skimmer. He not only explained the part I needed, but he researched the part and sent the site to me via email so I could then order the correct part. I believe I have found a new, local go to for future pool supplies. Thank You so very much for your help. Hope to see you soon. Bill and Shirley

Hot Spring Spas response
Hello Shirley! Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your shopping experience. Having the knowledge and support from your local dealer makes Hot Tubbing that much more enjoyable.

Vanessa - Hot Spring Customer Service

Original review: April 14, 2019

I bought the unit in 2012. I decided on this manufacturer because of the large amount of filters (it seemed overengineered); the relatively quiet operation of its spas and the belief that a local manufacturer (SoCal) would have a good service network in my area. Here are the problems I’ve experienced. Failed moto massage (replace flexible hoses and clamps), freeze plug leaks (removed side walls, carved away insulation, plugged and caulked leaks, and repaired insulation), failed circuit board (replaced), failed ozonator (replaced).

This year I developed a leak deep within the structure of the spa and had a simultaneous failure of the display and control system. I was shocked to learn that replacement parts are not available. The repair was quoted at about $2,200 using similar “proprietary” parts that will require the spa liner to be modified. After this last failure, I’ve decided not to make any more repairs. I don’t mind paying extra for quality and reliability. In this case, I paid over $9K for a spa that averaged more than one significant issue per year.

Hot Spring Spas response

I am sorry to hear that your spa has needed some work and not running as it should. I would like to know more about the spa and see if I can help. You can DM us or contact us at 800-999-4688 ext 8432. Thank you for your time and I look forward in working with you. Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: April 3, 2019

Whomever designed the Grandee control panel should be immediately fired. On second thought, that is not nearly a severe enough repercussion. What was he or she thinking when designing a removable control panel that isn't even waterproof (Hot Spring says it's "water resistant", but that's of no use when your drunken uncle Hermie throws it in the spa or the kids leave the jets on when they close the cover and the unit gets drenched). And Hot Spring has NO ANSWER. No remote docking station that could be hung on a wall. No way to lock down (and better waterproof) the panel. No way to control the spa other than through the panel. If we had noticed that the panel was removable before we purchased the spa, we never would have done so. I STRONGLY recommend not purchasing this unit (meant to hold 8 people) unless it will only be used by a small number of non-drinking, non-partying, obey-the-rules type of folks.

Hot Spring Spas response

Thank you Steven for your review. The wireless remote and jets operate as stated in the owners manual. It sounds like you have a need for it to be more than advertised. I understand that everyone's spa usage is different and we work to accommodate all of our bathers. We want all of our customers to soak safety, this means using the spa as directed. If you should have further questions Customer Service can be reached. Happy Hot Tubbing! Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

My Hot Spring Spa started leaking after two years. We had to replace the heater and light costing us close to $800. We purchased our house with a one-year-old Hot Springs spa in place and since we are not the original owner, we were told the warranty isn't transferable. I have the original receipt and this spa cost over $9000 but I guess they don't stand behind all of their products. I spoke with customer service and they were not helpful at all. I wouldn't recommend this product and won't buy one in the future.

Hot Spring Spas response

Thank you for your review. I am glad to know you are working with our Customer Service Department. While it's true that the Warranty is non-transferable, we are available for help and trouble shooting. Working together we should be able to get your spa in working order. Vanessa - Hot Spring Customer Service

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

After 6 months, ACE system failed. It never produced enough chlorine to color the test strips. Retailer did warranty the first and second time. Replacement cost, in my opinion is cost prohibitive. I have changed over to 3 tabs of Bromine a week, works perfectly that way. Recently, my control panel died (Jets, heating and lighting controller). One would think, replace the control panel. I did, but, Hot Springs claim is that their electronics manufacturer went out of business and the 'new' control panel WILL NOT WORK with the original motherboard.

Yet the secondary control panel on the tub will. So I had to replace a perfectly functioning motherboard so that the new control panel can interface correctly. The control panel runs about $370 online and the motherboard around $550. Even an above average computer motherboard doesn't cost that much, and does much much more. I would say it sucks to get nickeled and dimed, but when it comes to spas, it is more like being Jackson and Franklin'd.

Other excuse I read is, "Other manufacturers have problems also." I cannot verify that because I don't have another hot tub. My thought is, if the electronics manufacturer went out of business why doesn't the new manufacturer make a motherboard to work with the hardware already installed. In this case, they created a motherboard to work only with the secondary control panel and not the main one, WTH? Be aware of hot tubs that have proprietary parts!!!

Hot Spring Spas response

It is true that some of the spa's components are made by a 3rd party and unfortunately sometimes are no longer available. We work with other manufactures to provide retro fitted parts, that can be used for service repairs. Because most of the parts are proprietary they can't be duplicated by another manufacture. While this is an industry wide issue, in the past have offered a discount for this type of situation. If Customer Service can be of help call us. Thank you, Vanessa

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I have two Hot Spring hot tubs. They were purchased in 2013. The one off our bedroom is one of the upgraded units with two pumps. It has hardly been used in five years and one of the pumps went out. The other unit is a larger one with one pump and has been a problem from the beginning. The heater had to be replaced within the first six months. The pump has gone out and it still fails to heat properly. You get in it even if set up high and within 20 minutes have to get out because it is too cold. I will never buy another Hot Spring. I have had other brands out here where it is cold and had minimal problems.

Hot Spring Spas response

I am sorry Eric for your poor hot tub experience. I would like to know more about these spas and see how I can help. I will send you a message for more details. Thank you for your post. Vanessa - Hot Spring Customer Service.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

We purchased a Jetsetter about 18 years ago which was awesome and had a long and troublefree life till leaking at the end. We purchased another basically identical Jetsetter about 6 years ago, and we have had all major components replaced. It has truly been one thing after another. Now not all the jets work, and this one is leaking. The dealers just want to come work on it and spend many hours troubleshooting so my husband has done most of the part replacement. At this point, we don't know how much more money to sink into it. We keep it indoors, and from the beginning we have had trouble with the water chemistry after having none with our original spa. We have all the chemicals, test regularly, and have excessive mildew build-up all over the spa and cover. We will never buy another Hot Spring Spa.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I thought when I purchased a Hot Spring spa I was getting one of the best. I have to tell you I am very disappointed with this spa and more importantly with the lack of service in my area. The local guys want nothing to do with these spas because they are so hard to work on. I have had 3 freeze leaks even after having it professionally winterized. At least one of the leaks was unrepairable and the jet just had to be plugged. I have had 3 companies try and put the side skirt back on and all they did was damage it with no success. I ended up on my back and pounding the side clips together with my feet before it would finally stay. Ridiculous. I called the local dealer "Pools Plus" 4 times to have the tub winterized. No call backs. Contacted the corporate number and finally got an email back saying they would follow up with Pools Plus to make sure we got taken care of.

That was 4 weeks ago. Still no response. My recommendation is this. Do not buy a Hot Spring spa and do not buy anything from Pools Plus. Secondly, make sure your tub is serviceable. Under the skirting, they foam the plumbing in so bad that you have to tear all the foam out just to see what is going on. Then the replacement foam is $4-500. Bottom line is, service, service, service. I don't mind paying to have things fixed but people don't like working on these Hot Springs! Even the ones that sell them!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

The control board goes bad after one or two seasons necessitating replacement ($300 +). On inspection, it was just the solenoid relays on my board that had become corroded, so I ordered new identical relays from the relay manufacturer planning to just solder in the new ones. I read the directions that came with the relays: "Not for use in outdoor or wet locations". So, the Hot Springs "engineers" cannot check the specs on their components and engineer/design to spec. You can bet that is not limited to relays on the control board...

Original review: June 19, 2018

Hot spring tub cover hinge seams are falling apart, but using heavy strength duct tape every 2 years fixed the problem. Another problem is the handle on one end of the cover, it’s ready to come off but by rotating the cover 180 deg the cover should last another 5 years.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Hot tub can not control temperature. Water has been as hot as 110 degrees. Servicing company is worthless. According to them Hot Springs will not authorize replacement of the components responsible for this problem. I live in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Original review: March 19, 2018

From my salesman, Justin, to the guys that delivered my Envoy tub, everything was incredible! I bought mine at Hot Spings Pool and Spa store in Asheville, NC. I was asking Justin a lot of questions in ordered to narrow down my selection and get the right tub for my family! I considered the Grandee but I really like a lounger! I counted out between $10k and $13,5000 from the little stash I keep hidden in my wallet! I told them to put all the bells and whistles on it and I love the Bluetooth popup speakers and the 12 inch sub located below! I can't say 1 single bad thing! God loves haters too!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I purchased a Hot Spring hot tub in 2012. The first issue was that the two of the jets were plugged, which it turned out was a problem that the tubes feeding the jet were crimped. In fairness, Watkins did fix the issue by sending out an entirely new hot tub. Within two years the lights started to go crazy and the colors could no longer be controlled. Now just months past the warranty, the control panel failed. I'm extremely frustrated that I spent thousands more than I would have with the competitor and Watkins will not stand behind this product. Do yourself a favor and save some money and go with anyone else and even if you have problems you can use some of the money saved to fix it.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

When you're talking about hot tubs Hot Spring Spa's should be the first spa talked about. They last forever! A Hot Spring spa comes with a 5 year warranty right off the bat and most likely won't even be needed! These spas rarely require service and when they do it's usually something very simple and easy to diagnose. Much better than other spa brands!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

We purchased our Hot Spring Spas (Vanguard) in June of 2010. It operated nicely for 5 years. After 2015, the Moto Massage quit working and the pump required replacement. In 2016, it began to leak and now (2017) it does not hold water. The repairs are estimated to be around $2000. We purchased Hot Spring because it was considered to be reliable; however, for the cost of purchase and repair, I would have been better off choosing a cheaper model such as Royal Spa. Very disappointed in this Hot Spring product.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

We purchased an Aria in 2013. At first the quality seemed wonderful. Shortly afterward the problems started. The Ace system works well for a short time, lasting only about 24 months. It was replaced at a pro-rated cost of about $600 Cdn the first time. Today I found out a new cell was going to be $1100 and I had to install it.

The problems don't end there... The remote jet control panel failed and had to be replaced, fortunately it was still under warranty. The tub started to leak and the supplier replaced the heater, again under warranty but just barely. I did not see the bill for the heater but I am pretty sure it would have been expensive to fix. That did not fix the leak and they were back a third time and finally seemed to fix the problem. A piece of what appeared to be an internal part of a jet showed up in the bottom of the tub one day and nobody seemed to know what it was or where it came from??? The "spa operation" logo and indicator light is coming off the outside of the tub. It does not appear to be very well designed to stand up to the elements. As far as I am concerned this was a waste of well over $11,000. Never again.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Nothing but issues with Grandee since purchasing it in 2011 from Paradise Leisure and Spa. Have experienced pump not working, tub leaking several times, moto master massagers not rotating, etc etc. Tub had to be taken into their shop to figure out leaking issue. This took approx 3 months to fix. This tub was a lemon!!! I now have my tub serviced by another hot tub seller... I am done with Paradise as well as Watkins! I have written to Watkins and they could care less. DO NOT BUY A HOT SPRING PRODUCT.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

We bought our Hot Springs Grandee spa in Feb. 2013 from Luxury Pool & Spa in Midlothian, VA with the ACE salt system and speaker system. We’ve had multiple issues with it over the past 4 years, including sending it back to the manufacturer in June 2017 and have yet to see it returned (it’s been 3 months so far). The issues included having the ACE controller and control box fail twice, moto massage jets no longer working, the ACE salt system failing, Bluetooth no longer working on the stereo system, bent speaker screens at installation and a crack in the shell (in which this last issue caused it to go back to the manufacturer: Watkins in California).

When the crack appeared on 5/15/17, Rachel ** (the service representative at Luxury Pool & Spa) claimed that they didn’t have enough resources to fix it in a timely manner (it was sent to their warehouse on 6/19/17) and suggested sending to back to Watkins on 7/16/17. They also told us to call Watkins directly since “they would listen to the customer and not the dealer” on our issues. We contacted Marianne ** in customer service and emailed her a list of all the issues we’ve had with the spa on 7/17/17.

We wanted to upgrade to a newer version of the Grandee since this spa constantly had problems. She had assured us that they would fix our issues (including the ACE Salt system) and see about the upgrade once the spa had arrived. Getting updates as to where our spa was also up to us by calling the trucking company that was handling transport. Luxury Pool & Spa did not offer to do this for us. The spa did not arrive in California until 9/1/17. We were told once they did inspect it, that the crack would be repaired, new pillows and diverter knobs would be replaced and new speakers would be installed. This still did not take care of the ACE salt system or the Bluetooth issues we were having. Rachel said the ACE system was an add-on but why would they replace the speakers (which was also an add-on) but not the ACE system?

As to the upgrade, the dealer would only give us $4,000 (we paid $13,200 originally) which is an insult to us. We even tried to get Joe Gehlich (the owner) to meet with us directly to discuss our concerns but were told by Rachel that he’s too busy to meet with us. We were also not told the ACE salt system would last only about a year (the life of the warranty) and to replace it would have cost over $900 (we paid $1,295 for it originally). Needless to say, we were very unhappy to hear this, it should have been told to us up front before we bought the spa. To us, it was fraudulent behavior. The technician told us that they do fail within the first couple years and most people just never replace it because of the cost. Both Thomas Holt & Joe Gehlich (co-owners of Luxury Pool & Spa) told us at the time that the spa would be maintenance free with this ACE salt system and was a main selling point into purchasing it.

Based on our current experience, we would not recommend Luxury Pool & Spa or any Watkins product to anyone. I no longer want to own this spa with all its issues, no spa should be having these problems for being only 4 years old. Plus we’ve lost 3 months of our warranty coverage as well as good summer weather while it’s been out of commission. Based on the issues and all the time and energy we’ve spent on trying to get everything resolved, we want the spa to be taken back for $7,500 or replaced with a brand new Grandee with the $7,500 credited towards the purchase.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

We purchased our Hot Springs Spa with the Ace saltwater system in the summer of 2014. We actually love the spa itself, the quality of workmanship is excellent, it has nice finishing, very good quality materials. Our issues is not with the hot tub. It is with the Ace saltwater system. For the first year everything worked great. Starting after just after our first anniversary of the purchase problems started to develop with the saltwater conversion system. It just stopped working. After numerous visits to the dealer whom we bought it from we have still been unable to get the saltwater conversion system to work. We did numerous tests, checks, re-balancing of chemicals, etc. - we even replaced the Ace cell twice (yes 2X) now since the purchase of the tub, at a cost of over $1200 each time, but alas no go.

The dealer has tried to help us but it depends on whom you talk to as to whether they appear like they want to help or not (one person appears to be concerned, the other just keeps trying to sell me more stuff to check it with) - but that is another story. My advice to potential Hot Springs Spa buyer? Buy the tub, stay the hell away from the ACE system. You will save yourself upwards of $5000-7000 (between the Ace saltwater system price differential vs a regular spa and in replacement cell, and maintenance costs). We have resigned ourselves to the fact that this spa will only ever be a regular spa.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I have used my spa practically every day during the winter months for 8 years. What I appreciate the most about this company is the availability of replacement parts for these older models (2009 Hot Spring Spa). Most spa manufacturers do not carry parts for older spas at all. My spa has been very reliable and trouble free until this year when I needed to replace the high voltage circuit panel. Let's face it, in the real world not every component in a spa will last forever. Unlike other spas, Hot Spring designed the high voltage panel so that when it fails it will not destroy the motherboard. I also have been able to easily replace some of the softer plastic parts that started to wear out. This is the only spa manufacturer that I would recommend to anyone wishing to own a spa for the long run.

Original review: May 21, 2017

I have been informed that not all dealers take trade ins... like mine... in San Angelo, Texas. I have a hard time getting service because I live 30 minutes out of town. I love and need my Hot springs hot tub. It is nearly 10 years old and have only had to replace filters and the heater once. I had a 5 year warranty so that cost nothing. Now I am fixing to shell out serious cash for a new heater and cover plus whatever else needs fixing... but it is worth it.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

I have had a Hot Spring Aria with Ace and the Bluetooth Sound System. The jets are great and the different seats really allow for whatever type of massage you want. Of course we all fight for the Moto Jet! The music allows me to escape reality and relax at a whole different level. Then the Ace system keeps me sanitized at a level ready for me whenever I want to use it. I just added a pinch of chlorine when I get out.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

I purchased a Hot Springs Vanguard spa from Perry Pools in Lynchburg VA in July 2016. It started leaking in September 2016. I called for repair and was ignored. Finally I was told in November 2016 that I would have to pay a 120.00 service call fee for the tech to come out and repair my tub. I live 43 miles from the store. I drive to my office which is less than a mile from this place daily and do not use that much gas in a month! If this was a tub that was older than 3 months I could understand a service call but this is ridiculous and a rip off. I wouldn't mind paying the standard mileage fee of .56 cents allowed by the IRS but this is robbery. Never again will I ever buy anything from these people.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2016

Own the Grandee, and have it sunken halfway into the deck with the hard, fake bricks (spa stone earth). 3 LED lights under pillows failed after less than 50 hours of use over 3 years. 3 new LED lights cost $27 each. Hundred bucks delivered, tax for all 3. BUT, repairing them is the expensive part. Was told it was actually impossible. They are wired under the seats and not near the top for easy access. They are also linked in series, so you have to remove over 40-50% of insulation to access and rewire. No other options given by tech and company customer service. Apparently over a thousand dollars to fix. RIDICULOUS. Poor engineering. BUYER BEWARE!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

Terrible products. First, let me say that I my hot springs Niagara is ten years old, and in excellent shape, but is has always been problem prone. The heater boards burn out. The control panel breaks. Recently, I spent over $1,500 in purchasing a new motherboard and a new heater board. When I started up my spa, I got error messages that Tech Support at Watkins said was a burned out topside control panel. So $400 plus, a new control panel. Still, no heat, no motor control. Got Tech Support on the line (they are located in India or Africa where there is a labor shortage because the hold/wait time is always 20 minutes or longer) and running some board diagnostics, the kind tech service person said it sounded like the main control board is bad.

Really? My spa service company, quite experienced and highly regarded, just installed a new one. I read the part No., and Watkins confirmed it was the right one. Called my service company, and they said no seller, no supplier, no vendor, whatever Watkins tries to say, will refund or replace a motherboard. So I am out a $1,600 parts and labor. For trying to repair a Watkins (Hot Springs) spa using reputable spa repair companies.

This firm should be shut down, or restricted to doing business only in California. They manufacture crap. They do not stand by their products. My advice to all Hot Springs/Caldera/Watkins owners: Sell them as soon as they break down, buy anything that you can find from China, India, Bangladesh, or Vietnam. It will break down on schedule with Hot Springs/Caldera/Watkins, but for a fraction of the cost.

Hot Spring Spas expert review by Kate Williams, Ph.D.

Founded in 1977, this is the world's top-selling brand. They're made by award-winning hot tub manufacturer, Watkins Manufacturing.

• Low-maintenance filtration: Hot Spring Spas offers two proprietary systems: the ACE and EverFresh systems. ACE is a salt water system, while EverFresh uses an ozone filtration system.

• Connextion: The Connextion remote monitoring system provides 24/7 monitoring with dealer alerts and remote access to the controls.

• Moto-Massage DX: Exclusive to Hot Spring Spas, this moving jet provides a powerful water stream up and down the back.

• Large dealer network: Hot Spring Spas has a global network of over 900 dealers and service centers.

• Trade-in and financing: To save money on a new spa, consumers can receive trade-in credit for an old spa towards the cost of a new spa. In addition, Hot Spring offers financing options.

• Best for: Consumers needing therapy, consumers wanting relaxation and consumers wanting family time.

Profile picture of Kate Williams, Ph.D.
Kate Williams, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kate Williams, Ph.D. believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase. She spends countless hours researching companies and industries before writing buyers guides to make sure consumers have all the information they need to make smart, informed buying decisions.

Hot Spring Spas Company Information