2.5/5 (123 ratings)

About Hot Spring Spas

Hot Spring spas and hot tubs have been manufactured in Vista, California, by Watkins Wellness since 1977. Hot Spring’s portable saltwater hot tubs include soothing massage features and a variety of jet options. The company also offers saltwater systems and energy-efficient models. Find accessories, including replacement covers, cover lifters and furniture, on its website.

Find Hot Tubs partners near you

Pros

• Customizable features
    • Energy-efficient models
    • Range of price tiers

Cons

• Limited warranty
    • Sold only through local dealers

Bottom Line

Customers enjoy Hot Spring Spas’ patented technology features, such as Tri-X filters, and its three different water care systems that ensure freshness. All models are customizable.

Top Hot Spring Spas Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

After spending months and months reading about hot tubs and going to dealers, we finally decided to buy the HotSpot Relay. So far (a month in) we are very happy with it. Its jets ...

Verified

The first year was fantastic. When operational, this is a fabulous hot tub. However, after a year or so the hot tub began having problems but was covered under warranty. The contr...

About Hot Spring Spas

Hot Spring Spas’ hot tubs use a variety of massage and hydrotherapy features, including rotating and directional jets, to provide owners with a therapeutic and relaxing experience. Those looking to lower their utility costs gravitate to Hot Spring Spas because the company’s SmartJet system is specifically designed to conserve energy. All of the company’s tubs are certified by the California Energy Commission and SpaSearch.

Hot Spring Spas prices

Entry-level Hot Spot Spas from Hot Spring start at $6,999 for a two- or three-person hot tub. The Limelight Collection and Highlife Collection cost $8,999 and up for premium and luxury tubs.

Prices vary based on added features, hot tub size, installation costs and taxes. Hot Spring Spas suggests reaching out to a local authorized dealer for the most accurate pricing.

Hot Spring Spa hot tubs

Hot Spring Spa offers three collections of hot tubs: Hot Spot Spas, the Limelight Collection and the Highlife Collection. Available features for the spas include wireless remote controls, large power indicator lights and patented pump shrouds as well as Hot Springs’ dual Freshwater Salt and Ozone systems.

• Highlife Collection: All Highlife Collection models — Grandee, Vanguard, Sovereign, Envoy, Aria, Prodigy, Triumph, Jetsetter and Jetsetter LX — come with multiple jet configurations, Tri-X filters, customizable lighting and multilayered foam insulation. Hot Springs manufactures the Highlife Collection with polymer and ABS-backed acrylic shells to create a strong and durable product. Select models also include sculpted seating, such as the captain’s chair included with the Highlife Collection’s Envoy model.
    • Limelight Collection: The Limelight Collection features five models: Prism, Pulse, Flash, Flair, and Beam. All models include a variety of jet styles and fit from four to seven people. With a full-color LCD screen, a power indicator light that shows when the hot tub is ready, exterior lighting and optional wireless entertainment, the Limelight Collection offers all of Hot Spring’s best features without the hefty price tag.
    • Hot Spot Spas: The most popular Hot Spot models — Tempo, Relay and Rhythm — come with a variety of seating, lighting and massage jet options. The Relay includes lounge seating, cushioned headrests and LED lights that can be dimmed for a relaxing nighttime soak. Select Hot Spot models can fit up to seven people, and every model includes multiple jet configurations, an insulated cover and the option to add wireless entertainment.

Hot Spring Spa maintenance

Hot Spring Spas’ Ozone system with MPS and silver ions makes water care easy — tubs with this system only require weekly maintenance. The saltwater systems found in Hot Spring Spas’ Limelight and Highlife Collection require even less attention and offer up to a full year of sanitation. With the FreshWater Salt System, small amounts of salt are converted into chlorine to flush out any bacteria or germs within the water.

It’s important to rinse out hot tub filters once a month to avoid any clogging. The company recommends you perform a deep clean every three to four months. The patented Tri-X filters featured in the Highlife Collection are dishwasher safe, which makes them easier to clean. Depending on the amount of use, the company recommends that you drain and refill your hot tub three to four times per year. Once drained, you can clean the spa shell.

Hot Spring Spas warranty

Hot Spot Spas come with a five-year warranty on their no-leak shell and a two-year warranty on components, including the MotoMassage jet and no-fault heater. The LED light assemblies in the Tempo, Relay and Rhythm models also come with a two-year warranty.

The Limelight Collection and Highlife Collection come with a seven-year warranty on the no-leak shell and a five-year warranty on components and Everwood cabinet material. The wireless remote control battery included in the Highlife Collection comes with a one-year warranty. Local authorized dealers can explain additional warranties.

Hot Spring Spas’ hot tubs must be serviced by an authorized technician or you run the risk of voiding the warranty.

Hot Spring Spas FAQ

How much do Hot Spring Spas cost?
    Most hot tubs from Hot Spring Spas start at $6,999. A premium hot tub for four adults with a FreshWater Salt System, multicolor lighting, an LCD control panel and FiberCor insulation costs between $9,000 and $10,000. Hot Spring Spas’ prices vary based on features, size and local taxes.
    How long do Hot Springs hot tubs last?
    At a minimum, most Hot Spring Spas hot tubs last five years. A well-maintained hot tub can last 20 years or more.
    How do I connect my Bluetooth to my Hot Spring hot tub?
    Connecting a Bluetooth to your Hot Spring hot tub is easy — simply select “Blue” or "Bluetooth" as the source on your hot tub’s audio setup menu and pair your device by choosing “My spa” on the device menu. Hot Springs’ Bluetooth speaker system has a range of up to 30 feet.
    How often does Hot Spring Spas have sales?
    Hot Spring Spas offers sales throughout the year. Most authorized dealers clear out their inventory during the fall, which is a good time to shop for deals and promotions.
    What is the ACE Salt Water System?
    The ACE Salt Water System is available in Hot Spring Spas’ Highlife Collection, Highlife Collection NXT and Limelight Collection hot tubs. This system uses small amounts of salt in the water and converts it to chlorine so that the hot tub’s water stays fresh and sanitized without the use of bottled chlorine.

Are Hot Spring Spa hot tubs worth it?

Hot Spot Spas offer a value-priced and budget-friendly option with all of the Hot Spring’s best features — energy-efficiency, FiberCor insulation, the Freshwater Ozone System and FROG @ease in-line cartridges. For hot tub owners looking to upgrade their hot tub, the Limelight Collection provides a premium hot tub with dual FreshWater Salt and Ozone systems, colored lighting and FiberCor insulation. The Highlife Collection combines all the best features of these collections into a line of sleek and luxurious hot tubs.

Hot Spring Spas Reviews

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

12K+ Hot Tub sprung a leak within the first 2 years (even though this Spa has been professionally maintained at my own expense since date of delivery). When I tried leaving an honest review on their website, I received an email suggesting that my review needed to be updated since it violated their Guidelines (i.e. was not supposed to mention how much it cost). I clicked on link to edit it, which took me to a 404 Page not found Error Page. So I submitted a brand new review without specifically mentioning cost. This time I received an email suggesting that my Review was approved and a link provided to view it. When clicking on the link provided, again takes me to a 404 Page not found Error Page. So 1) product is expensive but will fail early in life. 2) Warranty coverage is limited and will not cover Dealer additional fees. 3) Reviews are virtually impossible, likely go into a BLACK HOLE. 4) Customer is left holding the bag.

Hot Spring Spas response

We appreciate you reaching out to us with your concerns. I know it can be very frustrating when something doesn't work as it should. The reviews on our website are hosted by a third party and we're working with them to ensure that any issues are resolved as soon as possible so that reviews can be posted without errors. We'd like to hear from you and see if we can help resolve any concerns that you have regarding your experience with your spa and will be following up with you for more details.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

This is our second Hot Springs Spa. We love the new one and the changes they have made. It is beautifully styled and comfortable to sit in. The new jet designs are wonderful and relaxing. The new jets incorporated in the lounge seat feel like you are having a professional massage therapist working on your back.

Hot Spring Spas response

Thank you for reaching out with your review. The Sovereign is a beautiful model, we're glad that you are a part of the Hot Spring family. It's wonderful to hear that you are enjoying your new spa.

Happy Hot Tubbing!

Kylie - Customer Care

Get buying tips about Hot Tubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 21, 2022

My heater failed in December and I have been trying to get parts to my dealer for over six months. The answer from Hot Springs is I don’t know when. My spa has been down for over six months. It is only two years old. This is very frustrating and they don’t even have an answer for me. Very disappointing.

Hi Charles,

Thanks for reaching out, I'm so sorry to hear that you've had trouble getting the part you need. Being without your spa for so long is frustrating. I'd like to see how I might be able to help get you back into hot water as soon as possible.

Please keep an eye out for a private message so that I can get a bit more info from you. If you have further questions or concerns please call 800-999-4688 ext 8432.

Kylie - Customer Care

Original review: June 9, 2022

Top control not made anymore?? I have to replace control board also due to no parts available cost over $2500! Can I get some help $$ from Hot Spring to repair my $15,000 spa. A minor part failure & I have to replace entire electrical control system! Why, is this a design or manufacturing defect?

Mark,
      We make a commitment to have parts for our spas for at least 20 years. Sometimes, alternatives are used when the original part is no longer available. I understand it's frustrating to replace more than one part, but due to the age of your spa & the availability of the original control panel, this is the best option. I'll send you a PM to get more info on your spa & dealer to see if there's any further assistance we can provide to get you back to enjoying your spa.

Kylie - Customer Care

Original review: June 3, 2022

My wife and I just spent a bundle on a Hot Springs spa. All our previous spas were Jacuzzi and were problem free. This time we went with Hot Springs because the local dealer is close by. They delivered the spa, a Prism, on Wednesday and it leaked right off the bat. We were told it was probably just water that accumulated inside the spa from shipment. The looks on their faces though said otherwise. It also seemed curious that the head delivery guy said he would go to bat for us to get a new spa if the leak did not stop.

Next morning, open to tub to take our first soak and find the water level has dropped by 2.5". Well, we filled up the tub and an hour later got in. During the day, the tub lost another 5" of water. I turned it off last night to make sure the water level did not get so low the tub would be damaged. This morning, checked the tub and it is another 5" lower. That's a total of 12" of water loss in two days. Doesn't Hot Springs test these tubs before they ship them? I'm really worried we made a $20,000+ mistake. Someone is supposed to come and evaluate the situation this afternoon. I am not optimistic.

Hot Spring Spas response
      Oh no Michael! A leaking spa is never ok and I will contact your dealer to follow up.
      It is true that new spas do have some residual water in the lines from testing before they leave our facility.

However, if the spa is leaking we will support our warranty. We want you to use and enjoy your spa.

Thank you for reaching out and I look forward to working with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Care

Original review: May 7, 2022

We have owned several Hot Spring Spas for over 25 years and find their recent spas to be less dependable than ever before. We have owned our 2019 spa for just over 2 years and already 10 service calls to include control panel needing replacement, salt cartridge system sensor housing replaced, moto jets replaced three times (only 2 moto massage elements) and several light covers broken and floating in the tub. I fear for post-warranty repairs.

I have a case with them but their response is basically "wear and tear is normal". That's insane. They are basically admitting that they are no longer making reliable products. I'm so sorry we spent the extra money upfront, so that now in our retirement we wouldn't have expensive repairs. We now will have the worst of both worlds...expensive tub AND expensive repairs, based on their track record so far. I so wish it were like our old tub that had some "wear and tear" after 10 lovely years of use. I think we have a lemon... or they've gone so far downhill... Sad.

Hot Spring Spas response
      Barbara, Thank you for being a loyal Hot Spring Spa owner. I am sorry to hear that your present experience is not faring as well as your previous ones.

I see that you are working with one of our veteran agents; she will be able to address all of your concerns.

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us and allow us to work with you and the dealer.

Vanessa - Customer Care

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

After 4 months, I still don't have a spa that's working. Their service communication is terrible. The only contact is from me. They do NOT call me back. The story on why changes every time I call them. Now, I've had to prep an empty spa for winter because they don't have their act together.

Hot Spring Spas response

Oh no! That is not ok. I will message you to gather additional information to see how I can help.

Thank you for taking the time to reach out. I am sorry that you have not been able to enjoy your spa yet.

I look forward to working with you.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

Updated on 10/25/2021: I got an acknowledgement from Vanessa - that they are looking into my problem. Hello Vanessa - where are you??? See my post from October 4th - Charles, Laconia NH. It is now October 25th. We just had our first frost. There can be no more repair work on the HotSpring Model Envoy Tub. Well over a dozen leaks later I am faced with having to fully drain and go yet another winter without my hot tub.

This is the worst product I have ever purchased - poor quality, continuous failure, extensive loss of chemicals and a very frustrated dealer [they did not make this terrible product]. So here I am with a chronic back problem, arthritic neck and two balky knees - facing the fact that I will have to now go an additional 6 months for a total of 18 without the use of my tub.

HotSpring / Watkins should be ashamed of themselves. They have no understanding of quality and or customer service. Shame on them. Do Not Buy This Product. I am letting everyone in my Builders Association know that they should steer away from HotSpring. Anyone that wants to call me or email me, feel free to do so. ** or **.

Original review: I purchased a Hot Spring Tub Model Envoy approximately 7 1/2 years ago. Up until Fall of 2019 things were OK. I had to replace a jet and a heating element. OK - I can live with that expense. Then about this time last year, my tub started losing water. It took the dealer quite some time to get out and review the situation. By then, they claimed that they could not work on the leak because it would require warm back to back days to repair and for glues to set up.

My only choice was to drain the tub for the winter and wait until spring. Spring of course is busy season and it took a while to get out to the house beginning in May. It is now October and the tub is still losing water. In the meantime jets have been replaced. All of the jets have been caulked with an adhesive. Lines have been cut and replaced with new sections and couplers that also sprang leaks. The shell mysteriously cracked where a jet was replaced and had to be epoxied.

We are talking north of 1 dozen visits since May. Each time I wait 24 hours for the glue to dry, fill it, introduce all the chemicals again and get it up to temperature only to watch it lose an inch a day. I have had to re-up [purchase] my chemicals once already because of the frequency of emptying the tub. I've had Hot Tubs for nearly 40 years and never have I had such a dismal experience. I have a chronic back condition that I rely on the tub to soothe. I am coming to grips with the idea that I may need to buy a new tub - rest assured it will not be a Hot Spring. I am President / Vice President of the Homebuilders Association in the Lakes Region of NH.

Hot Spring Spas response
      Charles that all sounds frustrating and not spa friendly. I am sorry this has been your experience. I want to know more to see how I can help.
      Thank you for taking the time to reach out.

I look forward to working with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

We bought A Hot Spot Relay May 2016. Loved it, until right after 2 years we had problems with the heater. Found out it was just out of warranty and bought parts to repair. This year right after 5 year warranty spa started leaking. The distributor we bought is too understaffed to send out repairman so after fighting the filler we found poorly attached hoses that were creating leak. We replaced, and resealed correctly, spent so much time fighting the filler and the water that soaked everything and put back together. All was well for two months and we have another leak. Took off panel, cleared the fill to find out it was at the bottom of the tub where we couldn't reach. We replaced all the jets and resealed them, put the spa back together and it is still leaking. 5 years old and nothing but problems with no service available from the store. Where to go from here?? Too much invested to give up after 5 years but don't know how to get it fixed.

Hot Spring Spas response

Oh no, Brenda, I am sorry to hear that your spa has a reoccurring leak. I am not sure of the particulars; however, I'd like to know more and see how I can help.

I will DM you for more information and assistance.

Thank you for taking the time to reach out.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

Our Hot Spring 7 seat Spa was purchased April 2020, in the nearly 1.5 years of owning it, it has given us noting but problems, purchased from Brisbane spa super centre. The salt water system is an absolute joke, put it simply, it does not work! We wanted a salt water spa to have a healthier experience and not bathe in chlorine. This system failed to produce any chlorine and the water was constantly green and smelt disgusting. After being told many times we were not using it right despite the fact I was following orders by the book and became a somewhat expert on spas.

After numerous attempts of the dealer to replace the salt cell and test the cells power only to tell me it was working fine, the water was still disgusting. I engaged the services of a 40 yr veteran in the spa industry who inspected our spa and informed me the salt systems in these spas are not fit for their intended purchase, nor was the circulation pump ample enough to circulate the water often enough to clean and filter the water. Spa super centre told me to add 1 tsp of chlorine per person per hour of bathing which was not in the manual and were not told when we bought a fresh salt water spa. Nonetheless I did this and still the water was putrid. The 40 yr veteran suggested I would need to add 4 to 5 tablespoons of chlorine for a spa this size, which I did and this was the only thing that kept the water half decent.

After sick of bathing and coming out smelling like chlorine Spa super centre finally agreed to install a UV system to purify the water, Long story short this also failed due to the inadequate hardware/ pumps in the spa not circulating water enough to filter correctly. After putting up with this for months and getting frustrated once again I called the dealers complaining, they attended and installed an ozone system. In short once again due to the inadequate hardware and an inferior ozone system it still failed to maintain the water and I had to continue adding chlorine. I came to the conclusion I didn't want the spa anymore and told them to restore the salt cell and give me what I paid for or take it back.

They came once again and installed the salt cell this time admitting when they installed the spa they added way too much salt and they all of a sudden had some new information from Hot spring in the States and their New Zealand dealer that when the salt level is too high the salt cell doest produce chlorine. Dealer advised me to buy a proper salt meter as the built in salt tester is useless which he admitted. I spent $200 on a salt meter and maintained the salt at a perfect level. I was advised to keep the salt cell setting on number 10 (the highest) and the spa started making chlorine. Now the salt cell was working it was producing so much chlorine we would get out stinking of chlorine each time.

Being a sufferer of bronchitis the chlorine in the lungs was causing me tightness of breath and this lasted for hours. When I turned the salt cell down to setting 6 and didn't use the spa for days, I went to hope in one day and the water was once again putrid. On top of this as the filtration system does not circulate water often enough we need to add not 1 cap, but 4 to 5 cap fulls of Oxyshock to the water after each use in order to remove organic matter which the filtration/ozone, UV, salt system should do. They all Fail miserably due to inadequate hardware.

I now find myself needing to replace salt cells every 2 months which is a joke and $100 each, and the last one has only lasted 4 weeks as it is now once again flashing needing replacement. As far as the energy efficiency it does this by using a VEERY small heater, when you get in your spa on a windy day the temperature drops by up to 2 degrees and you have to get out it's too cold. If it's a warmish day or night the water temp rises by up to 2 degrees and you have to get out as it's too hot and draining.

This spa is a disaster from day 1, We paid nearly 26K for it and it's a total lemon. Do yourself a favour and RUN A MILE and never look back. Buy a cheaper unit and have a professional install a good quality Ozone system like commercial pools have and you will be much happier. I will not be subject to being told I Don't know how to use the system, we have gone through this for 18 months and as I said earlier I have become an expert on spas, water maintenance, Ozone, UV, hardware and water maintenance. This spa is simply not built to do what it's intended for. I am now considering my options to raise a case in claims court to have this refunded if the dealers can not give me suitable resolutions to all the concerns which they have tried for 18 months and failed.

Hot Spring Spas response
      Louis, I am sorry to hear that this has been your experience. This is not ok, and I will elevate your concerns to the Regional in your area.
      There is quite a bit of misinformation, and I hear your frustration. For one, the spa doesn't come with a salt reader in the spa. We recommend using test strips to know how much salt is in the water. The salt system has been in our spas for over 10 years. We have many happy salt spa owners. I hope to improve your water care and spa experience.

Vanessa- CS

Take a Hot Tub Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Hot Spring Spas Company Information