Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Homeowners
  3. Hot Tubs

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.64/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Hot Spring spas and hot tubs have been manufactured in Vista, California, by Watkins Wellness since 1977. Hot Spring’s portable saltwater hot tubs include soothing massage features and a variety of jet options. Saltwater systems and energy-efficient models are available. Find accessories, including replacement covers, cover lifters and furniture, on the company’s website. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own.

BOTTOM LINE

Customers enjoy Hot Spring Spas’ patented technology features, such as Tri-X filters, and its three different water care systems that ensure freshness. All models are customizable.

PROS

• Customizable features
  • Energy-efficient models
  • Range of price tiers

CONS

• Limited warranty
  • Sold only through local dealers

Top Hot Spring Spas Reviews

The first year was fantastic. When operational, this is a fabulous hot tub. However, after a year or so the hot tub began having problems but was covered under warranty. The control panel has already been replaced 2 times ….

About Hot Spring Spas

Hot Spring Spas’ hot tubs use a variety of massage and hydrotherapy features, including rotating and directional jets, to provide owners with a therapeutic and relaxing experience. Those looking to lower their utility costs gravitate to Hot Spring Spas because the company’s SmartJet system is specifically designed to conserve energy. All of the company’s tubs are certified by the California Energy Commission and SpaSearch.

Hot Spring Spas prices

Entry-level Hot Spot Spas from Hot Spring start at $6,999 for a two- or three-person hot tub. The Limelight Collection and Highlife Collection cost $8,999 and up for premium and luxury tubs.

Prices vary based on added features, hot tub size, installation costs and taxes. Hot Spring Spas suggests reaching out to a local authorized dealer for the most accurate pricing.

Hot Spring Spa hot tubs

Hot Spring Spa offers three collections of hot tubs: Hot Spot Spas, the Limelight Collection and the Highlife Collection. Available features for the spas include wireless remote controls, large power indicator lights and patented pump shrouds as well as Hot Springs’ dual Freshwater Salt and Ozone systems.

• Highlife Collection: All Highlife Collection models — Grandee, Vanguard, Sovereign, Envoy, Aria, Prodigy, Triumph, Jetsetter and Jetsetter LX — come with multiple jet configurations, Tri-X filters, customizable lighting and multilayered foam insulation. Hot Springs manufactures the Highlife Collection with polymer and ABS-backed acrylic shells to create a strong and durable product. Select models also include sculpted seating, such as the captain’s chair included with the Highlife Collection’s Envoy model.
    • Limelight Collection: The Limelight Collection features five models: Prism, Pulse, Flash, Flair, and Beam. All models include a variety of jet styles and fit from four to seven people. With a full-color LCD screen, a power indicator light that shows when the hot tub is ready, exterior lighting and optional wireless entertainment, the Limelight Collection offers all of Hot Spring’s best features without the hefty price tag.
    • Hot Spot Spas: The most popular Hot Spot models — Tempo, Relay and Rhythm — come with a variety of seating, lighting and massage jet options. The Relay includes lounge seating, cushioned headrests and LED lights that can be dimmed for a relaxing nighttime soak. Select Hot Spot models can fit up to seven people, and every model includes multiple jet configurations, an insulated cover and the option to add wireless entertainment.

Hot Spring Spa maintenance

Hot Spring Spas’ Ozone system with MPS and silver ions makes water care easy — tubs with this system only require weekly maintenance. The saltwater systems found in Hot Spring Spas’ Limelight and Highlife Collection require even less attention and offer up to a full year of sanitation. With the FreshWater Salt System, small amounts of salt are converted into chlorine to flush out any bacteria or germs within the water.

It’s important to rinse out hot tub filters once a month to avoid any clogging. The company recommends you perform a deep clean every three to four months. The patented Tri-X filters featured in the Highlife Collection are dishwasher safe, which makes them easier to clean. Depending on the amount of use, the company recommends that you drain and refill your hot tub three to four times per year. Once drained, you can clean the spa shell.

Hot Spring Spas warranty

Hot Spot Spas come with a five-year warranty on their no-leak shell and a two-year warranty on components, including the MotoMassage jet and no-fault heater. The LED light assemblies in the Tempo, Relay and Rhythm models also come with a two-year warranty.

The Limelight Collection and Highlife Collection come with a seven-year warranty on the no-leak shell and a five-year warranty on components and Everwood cabinet material. The wireless remote control battery included in the Highlife Collection comes with a one-year warranty. Local authorized dealers can explain additional warranties.

Hot Spring Spas’ hot tubs must be serviced by an authorized technician or you run the risk of voiding the warranty.

Hot Spring Spas FAQ

How much do Hot Spring Spas cost?
    Most hot tubs from Hot Spring Spas start at $6,999. A premium hot tub for four adults with a FreshWater Salt System, multicolor lighting, an LCD control panel and FiberCor insulation costs between $9,000 and $10,000. Hot Spring Spas’ prices vary based on features, size and local taxes.
    How long do Hot Springs hot tubs last?
    At a minimum, most Hot Spring Spas hot tubs last five years. A well-maintained hot tub can last 20 years or more.
    How do I connect my Bluetooth to my Hot Spring hot tub?
    Connecting a Bluetooth to your Hot Spring hot tub is easy — simply select “Blue” or "Bluetooth" as the source on your hot tub’s audio setup menu and pair your device by choosing “My spa” on the device menu. Hot Springs’ Bluetooth speaker system has a range of up to 30 feet.
    How often does Hot Spring Spas have sales?
    Hot Spring Spas offers sales throughout the year. Most authorized dealers clear out their inventory during the fall, which is a good time to shop for deals and promotions.
    What is the ACE Salt Water System?
    The ACE Salt Water System is available in Hot Spring Spas’ Highlife Collection, Highlife Collection NXT and Limelight Collection hot tubs. This system uses small amounts of salt in the water and converts it to chlorine so that the hot tub’s water stays fresh and sanitized without the use of bottled chlorine.

Are Hot Spring Spa hot tubs worth it?

Hot Spot Spas offer a value-priced and budget-friendly option with all of the Hot Spring’s best features — energy-efficiency, FiberCor insulation, the Freshwater Ozone System and FROG @ease in-line cartridges. For hot tub owners looking to upgrade their hot tub, the Limelight Collection provides a premium hot tub with dual FreshWater Salt and Ozone systems, colored lighting and FiberCor insulation. The Highlife Collection combines all the best features of these collections into a line of sleek and luxurious hot tubs.

Hot Spring Spas Reviews

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: March 10, 2020

We have a Hot Springs spa purchase from Creative Energy in San Rafael, CA. It has been a good spa over the years but the power components failed around two years ago. We contacted Creative Energy to come take a look and were told it would require a minimum service fee which we agreed to pay. After the inspection, the technician informed us that some electronic components needed to be replaced. It was fairly expensive repair so we elected to just replace one set of components and only have the ability to turn the jets on and off from one station. The bill was $580 which we paid.

The exterior buttons stopped working again a about 4 months ago and Creative Energy refused to come look and potentially replace the Hot Springs parts or correct their workmanship without being paid a minimum service fee of $180 since the work/parts were not covered by warranty. I have asked for them to come review at no additional charge until it is determined what is wrong since I would expect them to cover the replacement parts if it is a failure of the new parts. I offerred that if it was their work or the Hot Springs parts, they would waive the fee and if it was something different, I would pay all fees. They refused without being paid the $180.

I contacted Hot Springs as Creative Energy is their dealer and told them what was happening. They initially seemed happy to help and it looked like they were going to stand behind their product. Since then it has been a series of phone tag with no resolution. I just reached the person that has been calling me back and leaving messages and his response is that there is nothing that Hot Springs can do to get their Dealer to stand behind the parts and workmanship. We will be replacing our Hot Springs Hot tub with another brand that will actually stand behind their product and representatives. Very dissatisfied with the customer service we received.

Hot Spring Spas response
    Looking into this I see that your spa is 17 yrs old. A control panel was replaced in 2018. Hot Spring provides a 1-yr parts warranty. You stated that service was needed 2 yrs later. Not knowing exactly what the issue is, the tech would need to be compensated for their labor. Common practice is to pay for the out of warranty service and if there was a failure to the part or poor workmanship the customer is refunded.

This website limits my public reply to you to 500 txt. I will DM you. Thanks, V

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

I want to first say that I have been a Hot Springs owner for over 20 years, covering two tubs. We first purchased a Grandee in 2000 from Energy Savers (Meredith, NH). Simply said, the tub performed. In part because it was well-built, but also because we have always been meticulous about maintenance and monitoring. I regularly, perhaps obsessively, measure and treat the water. I also clean the filters 3-5X per year. At least yearly I completely empty the tub, clean all the components, then refill. Our Grandee was available in 17 of 18 Winters – the one year we didn’t have it was due to a heater that failed during a particularly brutal cold snap and we and our service provided decided it was better to empty the tub and address in the Spring.

In July 2018 we decided to upgrade and purchased the Envoy with all the bells & whistles – sound system, lights & cover cradle. While we loved the tub we experienced periodic shut-downs that were unexplainable. In November 2018 the audio system failed (after much troubleshooting, the power system to the amp was replaced in May 2019). In December, after a cold snap, the tub shutdown causing pipes to freeze which resulted in the tub draining. So our first winter with the new tub was a total loss.

After much discussion with Energy Savers we went into this Winter doubling down on our maintenance and monitoring. Yet in December the tub froze again. Energy Savers diagnosed that the heating pump failed, froze, and cracked leading to significant water loss. Among the explanations I was given: the filters are very susceptible to clogging, even when the tub isn’t used. While I want to complement Energy Savers on their responsiveness over the past year, it’s clear that there is an inherent quality and/or manufacturing issue with my tub. I am now faced with a significant bill to replace a heater that died in one year. Further, how much additional damage has been caused by pipes freezing twice? Will this tub even make it to a third Winter?

All I can say is that anyone considering a significant investment in a Hot Springs spa, be sure to do your homework here. And not simply on the tub, but also the warranty, which I’m told won’t cover a second occurrence because it already has paid out once (think about that logic – it broke once during warranty, so now that it has broke again under the same circumstance in less than a year, it won’t be covered again).

Hot Spring Spas response
    Thank you, Sean, for taking the time to post your review. I am sorry that your spa has had freeze damage. I would like to know more about this issue to see how I can help. I appreciate that you are a longtime Hot Spring owner and want to make sure every option has been explored to repair your spa. While the warranty is very specific there are some Customer Service opportunities we might be able to take advantage of. Please look for a DM from me.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Get expert buying tips about Hot Tubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

My husband & I wanted a salt water tub for the health benefits, and after MUCH research, went with HotSprings due to the ACE saltwater system. In May, 2016, after visiting the closest dealer an hour away, we settled on the Jetsetter NXT and wrote the check in full. Delivery was promised in 2 days. A week later, to finally get confirmation of delivery, I had to threaten to cancel the check & file a complaint with the BBB. A month later, I was threatening criminal charges.

ACE salt system is a joke. Has never worked or functioned at all. Remote never registered the salt system for monitoring which didn't matter anyway, because it went out completely at the one year warranty mark (like pre-programmed clockwork), with a replacement cost of $700. After paying more than $10,000 for our tub, I refuse to pay for a new remote after one year! Purchased a new battery for the remote at just under $60, but remote is still completely dead. Dealer has been beyond unhelpful, and now, 4 years later, I can purchase the remote for $603, but why would I spend the money when it probably won't work or will completely die in a year anyway.

So terribly disappointed in HotSpring & will never recommend or consider their inferior products in the future. We bought this tub, brand new, spent a lot of money not only on it, but also on the modifications to our porch (reinforcements, electrical upgrade, etc.) only to have one-third of our beautiful porch turn into a big empty tub & eyesore which brings nothing but regret everyday. Shame on HotSpring & shame on your dealers who offer no customer service or support! One star is too good for you!

Hot Spring Spas response
      I am truly sorry that this has been your spa experiacne. A hot tub us suppose to be relaxing and it sounds like that has not been the case. I will send you a DM and see how I can help.
      Thank you for taking the time to post. I look forward to working with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

We bought our new Hot Spring spa in spring 2015 for $9,500 CAD. Everything was fine for 4 years. Then, in July 2019, it kept short circuiting. First we spent $200 CAD simply establishing that the external wiring was fine. Then we had to replace the pumps, because water had leaked in around the seals. That cost $900 CAD. Once that was done, we discovered that the exterior control panel had also been fried (because… it got wet!). It had to be specially ordered from Florida (we live in British Columbia). Once that arrived, we discovered that the internal electrical panel was also fried. That had to be ordered from Florida as well. The replacement panel that just arrived (January 2020) was defective: so now we have to wait for another one.

Extra fun note: the plastic dials and their internal parts wear down and break after prolonged exposure to chlorinated water. Really! Not planned for in the original design? We have now had a completely non-functioning hot tub for six months, including most of the weeks (winter) that we really want it. And we've been told to expect at least $3,000 CAD more in expenses before we're done. By the time this is resolved (IF we can resolve it), we expect to have paid at least half the original cost of the tub in parts and labour.

This hot tub, which has lasted a grand total of four years, replaced the old, non-Hot Spring tub that we inherited when we bought this place, which -- without any technical problems at all -- had lasted at least ELEVEN YEARS (not counting its life before we lived here)! We would have done better to refit the old tub than buy this new one. We will never purchase a hot tub from this company again. Stay away!

Simon,
      Thank you for taking the time to post your spa experience. I am sorry that the panel you need has been faulty. I would like to help improve your spa experience.
      I will DM you to see how I can help expedite the part you need and make sure that it is reliable.
      I look forward to working with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

Hot Spring Spas at one time were the best, not anymore! I purchased my third hot spring hot tub in 2015 a NXT Grande with speakers and Ace saltwater system. I have had problems with the salt water cell having to need replacement every two years but that’s not the only problem, the touch lcd has been replaced twice before and now today it’s not working again! This is crazy!! Ever have a problem with the older hot spring tubs I have owned! I wish I would have never traded my old one in and purchase this new one for 12k+. Hot spring spa doesn’t make a good product anymore! Purchase a Bull Frog!

Hello Brian,

I am truly sorry to hear that you are not happy with your 2015 Spa. While the life span for the ACE cell is 2 years it sounds like there are other issues that can be resolved. We want you to enjoy your spa as you did with your previous Hot Spring Spas. I will DM you for more information and see how I can help.

Vanessa - Customer Service

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hot Spring Spas?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

We previously owned an Aria spa in Minnesota and loved it! Very few minor issues. Unfortunately our experience with the Vanguard in North Carolina has been horrible. We have a “LEMON” or your quality has crashed. We have had NUMEROUS service calls since delivery in spring of 2018 & are still having problems with parts failing and leaks. Hot Spring needs to have a LEMON policy where they replace the whole spa if there are repeated/numerous issues. Most of the time our spa has been inoperable denying us usage of our purchase. Today we again have a problem & spa is inoperable. Soon it may be in the trash!

Robin,
      I am truly sorry to know that your new spa has not been a source of relaxation and enjoyment. I would like to know more about this and see what I can do to help.
      Thank you for taking the time to post about your spa experience.
      I look forward to working with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

The last Hot Spring Spa we had lasted over ten years without any issues. The current spa we have, only six months old, has their new salt FreshWater Salt system in it. This is a terrible sanitizing system. The water has always been green and smells terrible. We had service out and were told they could change the system out to their older silver ion system, which in my opinion was the best. Please do your research on their FreshWater Salt System.

Hot Spring Spas response
      I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with the Freshwater salt system. While a large majority of salt users are happy with the system, it is important that you are happy with it and your spa. Water care with a salt system is a different process and takes some getting used to. I am glad that your dealer was supportive and was able to convert you to a water care program that you are familiar with.

Customer Service can always help with water care at 800-999-4688 X8432

Vanessa - Cust.Serv

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

The previous Hot Spring tub we had lasted 20 years with very few issues. Current tub we have owned for 6 years and we have had several issues but the worst part is getting the dealer Pools Plus to come out and service. We have been waiting 2 1/2 months to get a service call. Constantly hearing excuses that either the wrong part came in or that the part is on back order. Service area is inexperienced. Not sure if they even have clue as to what we need since they haven’t even come out to look at. It is very concerning when a manufacturer can’t support what they sell with either parts or customer service. Service employees have quit or so we have been told. Maybe just another excuse. Looking to purchase another one. I will not buy another hot spring tub. We will be looking for one that not only has a good reputation but the service area to support. Having an issue with the heater and control panel which has already been replaced once in the last year.

Hello Lori,

I am sorry that your spa has not been a pleasurable experience. I would like to know how I can help. I will DM you for more information about your spa purchase. Thank you for taking the time to let us know and for giving us the chance to work with you. I look forward to working with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

I had a Hot Spring Hot Tub Limelight Gleam model hot tub delivered to my house in April of 2014 and had a deck built around the hot tub (that was completed July of 2014) so that it was flush to the deck. It looked flawless and high class. The Gleam hot tub is one of the biggest hot tubs that the Hot Springs dealer in Clarksburg, Maryland was selling at the time. The first year was fantastic. When operational, this is a fabulous hot tub. However, after a year or so the hot tub began having problems but was covered under warranty. The control panel has already been replaced 2 times, the Jet stopped working and was replaced and the dealer had to come out three times to fix leaks. The last jet repair for leaks was in 2018.

This summer, I had to start filling up the hot tub every 3 weeks or so. I was just thinking it may be due to evaporation. This fall it moved to every 2 weeks and now I lose 2 inches every week. Once again I had Hot Spring come out to fix a leak. The girl told me it was still under warranty and that I would have to pay the standard $69 warranty fee for the 6th time! Well, I was very annoyed that I had to pay the $69 fee to fix a leak for the hot tub for the 4th time! When I bought the hot tub, I asked why I should pay so much more money for the Hot Spring hot tub compared to other Companies that were much cheaper. The salesman said with Hot Spring I am getting the Mercedes of hot tubs and that Watkins stands behind their high quality Hot Tubs!

Last Thursday when I got home from work, my wife showed me what the Hot Spring repairman (Teavis) left me. A work order for $1060 to replace one jet and $159 to repair the other one. I thought surely my wife was mistaken since the lady I talked to said the Hot Tub was under warranty. I called last Friday and another lady told me that the Hot Tub is no longer under warranty and that I would have to pay to repair it myself. I explained that the leak started in the summer but she said Watkins would not pay the order even though the leak started before the Hot Tub had been used for 5 years!! It does not appear that HotSprings stands behind their warranty!

Hot Spring Spas response
      WOW, James! That does not sound right. I would like to know more to see what I can do to help. While there is a time frame for all warranties if the initial issue is not resolved then it's not fixed. Please look for a DM from me.
      Thank you for taking the time to post your spa experience. I look forward to working with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

After spending months and months reading about hot tubs and going to dealers, we finally decided to buy the HotSpot Relay. So far (a month in) we are very happy with it. Its jets are very powerful when you want them to be, but quiet and soothing when turned down. The lights are just right-many choices, but not over the top tacky like some I saw. The price was right too and I didn't feel like I was paying for a lot of bells and whistles I didn't care for. Love the lounge as it gives me the foot/calf massage I need for my arthritis. It's also a nice simple shell which I prefer. I have found the water chemistry part much more challenging than I expected, but am hoping that it's just a learning curve with the Frog Ease system.

Hello Katherine,
      Thank you for your review and a great picture of your spa. It's good to know that your spa is able to help provide some relief from your arthritis. Water care can take some getting used to. Your dealer and or Customer Service (800-999-4688 ext8432) is available for questions or guidance. We want to make sure you get the most out of your spa and will be able to enjoy it for many years to come.
      Happy Hot Tubbing!