2. Homeowners
  3. Hot Tubs

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.75/5

Looking for a hot tub company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Looking for a hot tub company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Hot Spring Spas Reviews

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

We bought our new Hot Spring spa in spring 2015 for $9,500 CAD. Everything was fine for 4 years. Then, in July 2019, it kept short circuiting. First we spent $200 CAD simply establishing that the external wiring was fine. Then we had to replace the pumps, because water had leaked in around the seals. That cost $900 CAD. Once that was done, we discovered that the exterior control panel had also been fried (because… it got wet!). It had to be specially ordered from Florida (we live in British Columbia). Once that arrived, we discovered that the internal electrical panel was also fried. That had to be ordered from Florida as well. The replacement panel that just arrived (January 2020) was defective: so now we have to wait for another one.

Extra fun note: the plastic dials and their internal parts wear down and break after prolonged exposure to chlorinated water. Really! Not planned for in the original design? We have now had a completely non-functioning hot tub for six months, including most of the weeks (winter) that we really want it. And we've been told to expect at least $3,000 CAD more in expenses before we're done. By the time this is resolved (IF we can resolve it), we expect to have paid at least half the original cost of the tub in parts and labour.

This hot tub, which has lasted a grand total of four years, replaced the old, non-Hot Spring tub that we inherited when we bought this place, which -- without any technical problems at all -- had lasted at least ELEVEN YEARS (not counting its life before we lived here)! We would have done better to refit the old tub than buy this new one. We will never purchase a hot tub from this company again. Stay away!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

Hot Spring Spas at one time were the best, not anymore! I purchased my third hot spring hot tub in 2015 a NXT Grande with speakers and Ace saltwater system. I have had problems with the salt water cell having to need replacement every two years but that’s not the only problem, the touch lcd has been replaced twice before and now today it’s not working again! This is crazy!! Ever have a problem with the older hot spring tubs I have owned! I wish I would have never traded my old one in and purchase this new one for 12k+. Hot spring spa doesn’t make a good product anymore! Purchase a Bull Frog!

Get expert buying tips about Hot Tubs delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

We previously owned an Aria spa in Minnesota and loved it! Very few minor issues. Unfortunately our experience with the Vanguard in North Carolina has been horrible. We have a “LEMON” or your quality has crashed. We have had NUMEROUS service calls since delivery in spring of 2018 & are still having problems with parts failing and leaks. Hot Spring needs to have a LEMON policy where they replace the whole spa if there are repeated/numerous issues. Most of the time our spa has been inoperable denying us usage of our purchase. Today we again have a problem & spa is inoperable. Soon it may be in the trash!

Robin,
      I am truly sorry to know that your new spa has not been a source of relaxation and enjoyment. I would like to know more about this and see what I can do to help.
      Thank you for taking the time to post about your spa experience.
      I look forward to working with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

The last Hot Spring Spa we had lasted over ten years without any issues. The current spa we have, only six months old, has their new salt FreshWater Salt system in it. This is a terrible sanitizing system. The water has always been green and smells terrible. We had service out and were told they could change the system out to their older silver ion system, which in my opinion was the best. Please do your research on their FreshWater Salt System.

Hot Spring Spas response
      I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with the Freshwater salt system. While a large majority of salt users are happy with the system, it is important that you are happy with it and your spa. Water care with a salt system is a different process and takes some getting used to. I am glad that your dealer was supportive and was able to convert you to a water care program that you are familiar with.

Customer Service can always help with water care at 800-999-4688 X8432

Vanessa - Cust.Serv

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

The previous Hot Spring tub we had lasted 20 years with very few issues. Current tub we have owned for 6 years and we have had several issues but the worst part is getting the dealer Pools Plus to come out and service. We have been waiting 2 1/2 months to get a service call. Constantly hearing excuses that either the wrong part came in or that the part is on back order. Service area is inexperienced. Not sure if they even have clue as to what we need since they haven’t even come out to look at. It is very concerning when a manufacturer can’t support what they sell with either parts or customer service. Service employees have quit or so we have been told. Maybe just another excuse. Looking to purchase another one. I will not buy another hot spring tub. We will be looking for one that not only has a good reputation but the service area to support. Having an issue with the heater and control panel which has already been replaced once in the last year.

Hello Lori,

I am sorry that your spa has not been a pleasurable experience. I would like to know how I can help. I will DM you for more information about your spa purchase. Thank you for taking the time to let us know and for giving us the chance to work with you. I look forward to working with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hot Spring Spas?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

I had a Hot Spring Hot Tub Limelight Gleam model hot tub delivered to my house in April of 2014 and had a deck built around the hot tub (that was completed July of 2014) so that it was flush to the deck. It looked flawless and high class. The Gleam hot tub is one of the biggest hot tubs that the Hot Springs dealer in Clarksburg, Maryland was selling at the time. The first year was fantastic. When operational, this is a fabulous hot tub. However, after a year or so the hot tub began having problems but was covered under warranty. The control panel has already been replaced 2 times, the Jet stopped working and was replaced and the dealer had to come out three times to fix leaks. The last jet repair for leaks was in 2018.

This summer, I had to start filling up the hot tub every 3 weeks or so. I was just thinking it may be due to evaporation. This fall it moved to every 2 weeks and now I lose 2 inches every week. Once again I had Hot Spring come out to fix a leak. The girl told me it was still under warranty and that I would have to pay the standard $69 warranty fee for the 6th time! Well, I was very annoyed that I had to pay the $69 fee to fix a leak for the hot tub for the 4th time! When I bought the hot tub, I asked why I should pay so much more money for the Hot Spring hot tub compared to other Companies that were much cheaper. The salesman said with Hot Spring I am getting the Mercedes of hot tubs and that Watkins stands behind their high quality Hot Tubs!

Last Thursday when I got home from work, my wife showed me what the Hot Spring repairman (Teavis) left me. A work order for $1060 to replace one jet and $159 to repair the other one. I thought surely my wife was mistaken since the lady I talked to said the Hot Tub was under warranty. I called last Friday and another lady told me that the Hot Tub is no longer under warranty and that I would have to pay to repair it myself. I explained that the leak started in the summer but she said Watkins would not pay the order even though the leak started before the Hot Tub had been used for 5 years!! It does not appear that HotSprings stands behind their warranty!

Hot Spring Spas response
      WOW, James! That does not sound right. I would like to know more to see what I can do to help. While there is a time frame for all warranties if the initial issue is not resolved then it's not fixed. Please look for a DM from me.
      Thank you for taking the time to post your spa experience. I look forward to working with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

After spending months and months reading about hot tubs and going to dealers, we finally decided to buy the HotSpot Relay. So far (a month in) we are very happy with it. Its jets are very powerful when you want them to be, but quiet and soothing when turned down. The lights are just right-many choices, but not over the top tacky like some I saw. The price was right too and I didn't feel like I was paying for a lot of bells and whistles I didn't care for. Love the lounge as it gives me the foot/calf massage I need for my arthritis. It's also a nice simple shell which I prefer. I have found the water chemistry part much more challenging than I expected, but am hoping that it's just a learning curve with the Frog Ease system.

Hello Katherine,
      Thank you for your review and a great picture of your spa. It's good to know that your spa is able to help provide some relief from your arthritis. Water care can take some getting used to. Your dealer and or Customer Service (800-999-4688 ext8432) is available for questions or guidance. We want to make sure you get the most out of your spa and will be able to enjoy it for many years to come.
      Happy Hot Tubbing!

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I purchased the Grandee hot tub and it was installed in May of 2015. We did a lot of looking before deciding on this model. We also got it with the ACE system. From the start the remote had problems. We had several service calls and nothing seemed to work. The hot tub would randomly quit working and would have to be recycled (powered down and restarted) to get it functional. Finally that stopped working as did the direct controls on the tub. What we did not realize was the myriad of problems we had encountered up to this point were all due to the bad board. We experienced green water, cloudy water, etc. all of which the solution to was to drain, clean and refill the tub (about two days and $200 each time) about every 3 to 4 weeks.

At this point the repair technician said he was not supposed to replace the ace controller board but he was certain it seemed to be the problem. He replaced it and we have never had another problem. The ACE board was bad from the beginning but never tested as bad. Then one of the back massagers began to stop from time to time. It seemed as though it was not getting enough water. We noticed the valve control for that side of the tub would spin 360 degrees and did not affect the flow of water. After a lot of working with it we got it adjusted so the massager would work. A service call said nothing was wrong with the massager or the valve. We still have it positioned to give off center to get sufficient water flow to the massager.

For the last two years we have had a great experience with the Grandee. We have learned its idiosyncrasies. We change the ACE setting weekly (it seems to get lonely and acts up if you do not pay it some attention) and start up the jets to get the water moving to ensure the temp gets up high enough for the ACE to actually function. Hot Springs should include instructions on how to keep their spas functional through tips and tricks.

Hot Spring Spas response
      Thank you Tommy for your post and detailed information. I am glad that you are now enjoying your spa. I am sorry that you had to go through a period of service calls and interrupted hot tubbing. I like your idea for a video. I will pass your suggestion on to our team. If there is anything that I can do to help, please let me know. Please look for a DM from me. Thank you again.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

We purchased our Grandee model three years ago and spent $12,000.00 on it. Service technicians have had to come four or five times. Pumps have seized up and had to be replaced, as well as other parts. Once the blue light was flashing and technician told me there was calcium deposits causing this. Wasn't covered under my warranty. Not 5 minutes after he left the light was blinking. Did a Google search to learn that filters had to be cleaned. Never had a problem after so I am not very sure what technician said had any validity. Even though under warranty, I still have to pay every time for hourly charge and mileage rate even though it's due to bad parts. I wish I read reviews before I purchased it.

Hot Spring Spas response
      Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear about your spa experience and that your spa was in need of service. I would like to know more about this issue and will DM you.
      We do provide a warranty for all of the spas we manufacture. It covers parts and labor, the travel fee is not encluded. It is stated in the terms and conditions of the warranty. I look forward to chatting with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I have had my Hot Springs Grandee now for 10 months. The spa I absolutely love, in it almost every day. CoolZone has not worked right from day one, today was service call number 5, they said they couldn't fix it, needed an AC man. They left and said they would not charge me because they couldn't fix it. KEEP IN MIND LESS THAN 1 YEAR OLD, NEVER HAS WORKED RIGHT. Hot Spring help me out.

Hot Spring Spas response
      Charles, I am sorry to hear that the CoolZone is not operational. The system does need an HVAC professional to set up but it shouldn't take 5 service calls to get it working. I would like to see how I can help. I will DM you for more information. Thank you for taking the time to post.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Not sure about Hot Spring Spas?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right hot tub for you.

Hot Spring Spas expert review by Kate Williams, Ph.D.

Founded in 1977, this is the world's top-selling brand. They're made by award-winning hot tub manufacturer, Watkins Manufacturing.

• Low-maintenance filtration: Hot Spring Spas offers two proprietary systems: the ACE and EverFresh systems. ACE is a salt water system, while EverFresh uses an ozone filtration system.

• Connextion: The Connextion remote monitoring system provides 24/7 monitoring with dealer alerts and remote access to the controls.

• Moto-Massage DX: Exclusive to Hot Spring Spas, this moving jet provides a powerful water stream up and down the back.

• Large dealer network: Hot Spring Spas has a global network of over 900 dealers and service centers.

• Trade-in and financing: To save money on a new spa, consumers can receive trade-in credit for an old spa towards the cost of a new spa. In addition, Hot Spring offers financing options.

• Best for: Consumers needing therapy, consumers wanting relaxation and consumers wanting family time.

by Kate Williams, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kate Williams, Ph.D. believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase. She spends countless hours researching companies and industries before writing buyers guides to make sure consumers have all the information they need to make smart, informed buying decisions.

Hot Spring Spas Company Information