2. Homeowners
  3. Hot Tubs

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.57/5

BOTTOM LINE

Caldera hot tubs are easy to maintain and come with a variety of customizable features. Some customers complain about frequent repairs, but most enjoy the sleek, modern design.

PROS
  • Customizable options
  • Energy efficient
  • Easy to maintain
CONS
  • Shorter warranty on some models
  • More expensive

Top Caldera Spas Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caldera Spas?

... will take your breath away, it calms your thoughts, releases depression, and stress and your body will recharge and thank you. I personally invite you to try the transformation that will prepare you for life’s untold adventures and journeys. Just simply a great product and excellent service.

...After doing our research we chose to go with Caldera due to their experience in the industry and the elegant modern look of their tubs. We are now avid users of our hot tub and have never had an issue. Would highly recommend their tubs to anybody in the market.

About Caldera Spas

Caldera Spas specializes in selling energy-efficient hot tubs that are easy to maintain. Unlike some other companies, Caldera uses sound-dampening technology to keep its spas quiet. Caldera spa models come with the FreshWater Salt System, which makes water care simple and intuitive.

The company manufactures hot tubs and swim spas for those seeking relief from muscle aches and joint pain or who want a relaxing oasis in their backyards. Caldera Spas include Hot Tub Circuit Therapy, which uses strategically placed seats and jets to provide a whole-body treatment.

Caldera Spas prices

Caldera hot tub prices start around $6,999, and its most expensive hot tub models cost $13,000 or more. The company offers financing options for customers with qualifying credit. If you already have a hot tub, you can take advantage of Caldera’s trade-in program, as well.

Caldera Spas hot tubs

Caldera Spas manufacturers hot tubs in the Utopia, Paradise and Vacanza series collections.

• Vacanza series: The Vacanza series models start at less than $7,000. With two seats and 15 jets, even the basic model has desirable features. The top-end models in this series feature 25 jets and can seat up to seven adults.
    • Paradise series: Hot tubs In the Paradise series begin at $11,000 and go up to $12,999. You can choose between several options to customize your hot tub. These tubs seat between three and seven people and have up to 46 jets.
    • Utopia series: Spas in the Utopia series start at $13,000 and have the most premium features. They fit between four and eight adults and feature up to 74 jets. Caldera’s Utopia series hot tub models have contoured pillows and an enhanced jet face design.

Caldera Spas accessories and features

Every Caldera hot tub model can be customized with entertainment options, comfort features and more.

• Hot tub steps: Caldera offers three different styles of steps for its hot tubs. Choose one that matches your hot tub’s exterior to help turn your spa into the centerpiece of your backyard landscaping.
    • Hot tub covers: A hot tub cover keeps debris out of your tub and helps conserve energy. Caldera Spas’ covers seal tightly and insulate your tub.
    • Cover lifters: Caldera Spas’ cover lifters feature pneumatic gas shock lifters for effortless use.
    • Entertainment systems: Get speakers built into your tub or buy a wireless monitor and watch your favorite shows as you soak.
    • Cool Zone: This feature cools the water to let you use the hot tub year-round. If it’s too hot outside, set the water to a cold temperature and enjoy.
    • Water Care: Hot tubs in the Vacanza series use FROG Water Care Systems to make maintenance easy. The Paradise and Utopia series use the FreshWater Salt System.

Caldera Spas FAQ

Do Caldera Spas come with a warranty?
    Every Calderas Spa series comes with a warranty. The Vacanza has a five-year shell warranty, a two-year surface warranty and a two-year plumbing warranty. The Paradise and Utopia Series have even longer warranties — a 10-year shell warranty, seven-year surface warranty and five-year plumbing warranty.
    How do you drain a Caldera Spa hot tub?
    Draining a Caldera Spas hot tub is as simple as turning off your breakers and pulling the handle on the main drain valve. While the handle is pulled, you rotate it and remove the cap. If you live in an area where the winter temperature drops below freezing, you must drain and winterize the hot tub. Your owners’ manual has directions for draining your specific hot tub model.
    How often do you clean a Caldera Spa?
    One of the benefits of Caldera Spas tubs is their low maintenance. To maintain your spa, you should regularly wash your filter. You should also change out the water on a set schedule — if your tub uses the saltwater hot tub system, this only needs to be done once a year. Use chemicals to sanitize your tub as directed by your owners’ manual.
    Where are Caldera Spas made?
    Caldera Spas are made at a factory in Vista, California.

Are Caldera Spas worth it?

If you’re looking for an easy-to-maintain hot tub that has features designed for comfort, Caldera Spas could be an excellent option. The company’s spas are expensive, but Caldera strives to make a luxurious product. Some customers complain about needing to make regular repairs to keep their tub operating smoothly, but the warranty should cover repairs that are needed within two to 10 years of purchasing the spa.

Caldera Spas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caldera Spas?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

Purchased our Spa our Utopia Spa and had it delivered on 09/20/2020. Love it but only thing is the jet parts keep falling off and the cartridges last less than two months. I've tried everything and have already gone through 3 cartridges since September 2020. We use the spa 3-4 times a week and I am on top of cleaning it twice a week. Bummed as the cartridges are expensive and we were told we would only need to change it every 4 months!~ Not true.

Alex,

Thank you for your feedback. I am thrilled that you love your spa. I am sorry to hear that your jet parts keep falling off, and the salt cartridges do not last the average time frame, as they should. I want to learn more about your water care and help out. I will DM you for more information. I appreciate the details, and I look forward to working with you soon.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

We purchased a Caldera Salina in February of 2020. We went with the saltwater system as we were told it is little to no maintenance. The hot tub itself has been a very welcomed addition to our home and we use it about 3 times a week. Unfortunately the salt cartridges that we were told should last about 4 months have only been lasting about a month and a half. Big difference when a year supply is about $300 dollars. When we contacted Caldera about this we were told our dealer would reimburse us with more cartridges but the dealer sends us back to Caldera. Beginning to feel like the level of support goes out the window once they get your money. Not sure where to go from here but now I'm stuck with $900 a year in cartridges cost.

Caldera Spas response
    Oh no! That is not how it should be. I will make sure you get your cartridges. I will also work with our team and the dealer to resolve the issue. The cartridges should last 4 months. I am sure there is an adjustment that can be made.
    Thank you for taking the time to share your review, and I look forward to working with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Get buying tips about Hot Tubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

It's time to sink in. Let's you reflect, relax on a level that will take your breath away, it calms your thoughts, releases depression, and stress and your body will recharge and thank you. I personally invite you to try the transformation that will prepare you for life’s untold adventures and journeys. Just simply a great product and excellent service.

Caldera Spas response
      WOW! Misty, Thank you for your colorful review. You make me what to jump into mine right now :)

I am excited to hear that you are enjoying your spa to the fullest.

Happy Hot Tubbing!

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: April 20, 2020

My wife and I are experienced Spa owners. We bought our third Caldera Utopia Niagara Spa in October 2019 and chose to try the FreshWater Salt sanitation system. We love how the water feels and when the FreshWater Salt cartridge is working, it works great! Once adjusted for your usage level, it maintains the proper amount of chlorine with no intervention. I do occasionally need to reduce the PH levels which is expected.

However and unfortunately, the cartridges only seem to last about 6 weeks which is a FAR cry from the advertised 4 months (16 weeks). Our service technician upgraded the FreshWater Salt controller to a newer version, but it hasn't improved cartridge life. We only use the tub once or twice a week and keep the Salt system setting at "4". This maintains the chlorine right where we want it. But after 6 weeks it just stops working and the only cure is a new cartridge. Removing and re-seating the same cartridge does not help.

This increases the cost of the cartridges from $250 (3 cartridges @$83 ea.) a year to $747 (9 cartridges @ $83 ea.) a year!! That's 3 times the number of cartridges and expense than advertised. Way not good and very disappointing. What are your thoughts and experiences with the longevity of the FreshWater Salt cartridges?

Regards,

Bob

Bob,

Thank you for your feedback about your spa. I am sorry to hear that your salt cartridges do not last the average time frame. I would like to know more about that. I will DM you for more information. I appreciate the details and I look forward to working with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

We bought our Caldera Tahitian from Basement and Backyards April of 2020 for almost $10K. I wanted a cheaper spa but my husband wanted to spend more on a tub that would "not require much maintenance", little did we know that nothing would work correctly on this tub. We were so excited to get a healthier salt water tub but unfortunately this tub's salt water system never worked despite dumping the water over 6 times, buying at least 4 salt water cartridges. Caldera will not help you if you call them. They just continue to sending us to the vendor who no longer responds to our calls. They take no ownership of the issues with their brand new tub! We are completely stuck with this now almost $11K lemon (with the additional features we bought) and we have absolutely no recourse, so much for the "warranty" we were told we would get with this investment!

From the beginning we had issues. Upon delivery of the tub we were told that the installers would know if the tub needed to be leveled. The installers were rude and broke my pavers and told us no need to level the tub. When the owner Derrick came out to get the tub/salt water up and running he told us we needed to pay the installers to come back to level the tub. Over the next couple months we could not get the salt system to work correctly, Derrick sent out a guy who barely checked the tub and told us "it smells good and looks good so it must be good" however no chlorine would register in the tub without us manually adding.

For our anniversary we decided to get the stereo system since the tub was sold with speakers. My husband spent 2 days on his hands and knees installing and getting other opinions of why the stereo would not work only to find out once Derrick sent his stereo guy out that the speakers were bad and they would need to be replaced at their expense. Strange that they would be bad on a brand new tub? Once they were installed we could never get the Bluetooth to connect to the phones so we could listen to music in the tub, complete waste of another $600.

We are now 9 months out and we have never gotten the salt system to work, the tub foams every time we use it, stereo still won't connect and Caldera just keeps sending us to Derrick who does not respond. This tub has been the root of so many arguments in my marriage and continues to disappoint. We have now spent over $11K with upgrades and endless amounts of water and time trying to get it right which has yet to happen.. it disappoints us daily. Our friends went to GA Spa and love their salt water tub from hot springs, wish we could say the same. If we had to do it over we would have never purchased this investment. Buyer beware.

Caldera Spas response

Caroline, Thank you for reaching out to Caldera. I am genuinely sorry that your experience so far has not been pleasant. I want to help you with your saltwater system; you should not be going through cartridges that quickly or changing out your water. I also want to address any concerns you may have with your Tahitian and help work with your local dealer for service. I will DM you for more information. I look forward to working with you soon. Maria - Customer Service

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

I purchased in spring of 2020 from Deans stove spa in Ct. Spa was delivered broken then touchscreen repeatedly fails-found spa on last week at 116 degrees! Called dealers. Two weeks now no response and Caldera promised to fix this summer but they appear to be disengaged with local dealers- a lot of empty dreams and promises.

Marty,

I am genuinely sorry that it is taking so long for this issue to be resolved. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I will contact Dean’s Stove and Spa and help get your spa back on track.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help.

I look forward to your reply.

Maria- Customer Service

Original review: Dec. 12, 2020

Updated on 3/9/2021: We were in communication with Vanessa from customer service at Caldera Spas. I have been waiting for a response from Vanessa since 12-29-20. We have not had any of our issues resolved. In December they had told us that they would replace our cover at no charge to our Cantabria spa which hasn’t happened. Our Bluetooth premium sound system still doesn’t work. Our multiple plastic jet covers still falling off. The one pump occasionally gets loud etc... just would like a phone call or email or something. Thanks.

Original review: We upgraded (I thought) our 8 person Hydrapool spa to the larger Caldera Cantabria 2 years ago. This unit is their top of the line including Bluetooth sound system, 3 pumps, 72 jets & hydraulic cover. 1st major problem, on a chilly Pittsburgh night we enter tub with a water temperature of 104. Within an hour we have to get out, the temperature is now 98 & can’t keep the desired temperature. 2nd. The very expensive Bluetooth sound system with subwoofer only worked once. My 3 children are all engineers & know how to set up Bluetooth & an iPhone. It’s the spa will not receive a signal. 3rd. The 72 jets that there are all have cheap plastic rings.. Usually opening the cover there’s a few swimming around, after numerous times reinstalling them I got mad & wizzed them out in 4 acres of grass & let the tractor take care of them.. Think the tractor has aroound 12 victims.

4th.. The cheap cover.. When it rains it gets puddles on top as if someone was jumping on it which is not the case, also the material is cracking everywhere & needs replaced from 2 years, my old Hydrapool spa had just 2 covers in 15 years of use & also this 2 year old cover that is properly covering spa is a poor design because I see steam leaking out in multiple places. 5th. Every once in a while one of the 3 pumps gets noisy so I just shut that one off. 6th would have to be the price. My wife got it for me for my birthday & didn’t tell me the cost but think it was in between $15,000-$20,000 & considering #7... getting in & out is tough.. No real inside step or anything & the glass surfaced control panel is where your hand has to go so my wife which is skinny broke the glass panel getting in..

8th. So with all these issues we really don’t use the spa often, my neighbor bought one from a home show for 1/4 the price of ours & we’re in theirs more, my kids & their friends agree especially when after an hour or so you need to close the cover to get the temperature back up.. That’s all the cons.. The pros if I had to pick one would be the water circulation is good & the water & spa stay clean.. Sorry so long of a review but it’s all true. ✅

Jeffery,

I'm sorry about your spa experience. You are right. You have one of our largest, most popular luxury spas. While this site limits my reply, I would like to address all of your concerns and see how I can help. I will send you a private message.
      I can assure you we stand behind our spas and provide an excellent spa warranty. This situation is important to us, and I look forward to working with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

I ordered a Utopia Cantabria, the most expensive spa. The dealership said I needed to order something already on order in order to receive sooner & that I'd get it sometime in November. I didn't receive any communication. I called twice. It took 4 mo instead of the estimated 3 and while I understand Covid is making production times longer, it shouldn't be this long. The thing that makes me most angry is that I ordered a cover lifter and cover and didn't receive either. I was told that there is a Vinyl shortage & they had no idea when I'd receive the covered. They lent us a used cover but no cover lifter. I called another company and they say they can get me a cover in 8 weeks. Since I don't know what to compare that to I'm leaning toward buying one from someone else. So disappointed.

Kari,

As you know,demand has increased for all hot tubs (including covers) and left some 3rd party manufacturers working around the clock to supply parts. Due to supply shortages and the fluidity of when they will be available, delivery dates have been longer than usual.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear; I'm sorry.

These are the circumstances we are working with; as soon as we know more we will notify your dealer.

Thank you for your patience in these unprecedented times.

Vanessa-CS

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

BEWARE! Bought a Cadera Geneva Spa December 2016 in the tune of over $13,000. Last May of 2000, I discovered the spa not working. Called local dealer to repair under warranty. They confirmed the spa was still under warranty and referred me to Caldera Watkins Manufacturing Warranty Department. To make a very very long story short, I had called and emailed many times over a two month span to only be promised a call back to arrange repairs. Never would get those returned promised calls. I called local dealer to fix and would pay out-of-pocket just to get it done.

Replaced heater and pump at a cost of $769.76. The local dealer called Watkins to see if they will warranty the repairs and they said they would and I would not have to pay out-of-pocket. Once repairs were made, I was presented with COD bill because local dealer could not get confirmation from company to pay for repairs under warranty. (Basically had same non response as I experienced.)

Now, December 2000, I still have not been reimbursed. I have called and emailed company as well as the local dealer calling company assisting me to get a response from Watkins to no avail. This company will not stand behind its warranties! My advice is to stay away from all products from Watkins: Caldera, Hot Springs, Freeflow, Jetsetter, Costco Spas. Just look at the other reviews... And, just another annoying thing, the speakers (warrantied 1 year) crapped out shortly after a year. No matter, they sucked anyway, they sounded like an AM transistor radio underwater.

Caldera Spas response
      Oh Wow! No, that should not be the case. I don't know how this happened, but I assure you I will give this my full attention. I will DM you to obtain your full name and who you are working with.
      Thank you for your time and for reaching out.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

We bought a Caldera Salina model in February 2019. We bought the 8 person model because we have a family of five. The first 3 months were amazing! After that we ran into serious issues trying to keep the spa running. We had the tech support out 6 times in 4 months and they tried to charge us for his visits, he couldn't even fix the issue. Our spa shuts down into safety mode almost every day, we contacted every possible person to walk us through what we need to do and still nothing has happened. We have the fresh water salt system which was an additional $1000 for less Maintenance and lower yearly costs.

We have to buy the cartridges in three packs which costs approx $225 which should last the year but they don’t, we go through almost 1 cartridge per month. The company says it’s due to excessive use, 3 kids and 2 adults should be able to use the spa daily in an 8 person tub. Anyways the whole company is a waste of time and so was this huge purchase, I look forward to the day I can justifiably purchase a new spa from a different company... Stay away from caldera!!! -$13,000.

Caldera Spas response
      Mike, I am sorry to hear about your spa experience. That is not how it should be. I will contact you to see how I can help.
      Thank you for taking the time to share your review and for allowing me to assist you. I look forward to working with you soon.

Caldera Spas Company Information