2. Homeowners
  3. Hot Tubs

3.8/5 (68 ratings)

About Caldera Spas

Find Hot Tubs partners near you

Pros

• Customizable options
    • Energy efficient
    • Easy to maintain

Cons

• Shorter warranty on some models
    • More expensive

Bottom Line

Caldera hot tubs are easy to maintain and come with a variety of customizable features. Some customers complain about frequent repairs, but most enjoy the sleek, modern design.

Top Caldera Spas Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

... will take your breath away, it calms your thoughts, releases depression, and stress and your body will recharge and thank you. I personally invite you to try the transformatio...

Verified

...After doing our research we chose to go with Caldera due to their experience in the industry and the elegant modern look of their tubs. We are now avid users of our hot tub and...

About Caldera Spas

Caldera Spas specializes in selling energy-efficient hot tubs that are easy to maintain. Unlike some other companies, Caldera uses sound-dampening technology to keep its spas quiet. Caldera spa models come with the FreshWater Salt System, which makes water care simple and intuitive.

The company manufactures hot tubs and swim spas for those seeking relief from muscle aches and joint pain or who want a relaxing oasis in their backyards. Caldera Spas include Hot Tub Circuit Therapy, which uses strategically placed seats and jets to provide a whole-body treatment.

Caldera Spas prices

Caldera hot tub prices start around $6,999, and its most expensive hot tub models cost $13,000 or more. The company offers financing options for customers with qualifying credit. If you already have a hot tub, you can take advantage of Caldera’s trade-in program, as well.

Caldera Spas hot tubs

Caldera Spas manufacturers hot tubs in the Utopia, Paradise and Vacanza series collections.

• Vacanza series: The Vacanza series models start at less than $7,000. With two seats and 15 jets, even the basic model has desirable features. The top-end models in this series feature 25 jets and can seat up to seven adults.
    • Paradise series: Hot tubs In the Paradise series begin at $11,000 and go up to $12,999. You can choose between several options to customize your hot tub. These tubs seat between three and seven people and have up to 46 jets.
    • Utopia series: Spas in the Utopia series start at $13,000 and have the most premium features. They fit between four and eight adults and feature up to 74 jets. Caldera’s Utopia series hot tub models have contoured pillows and an enhanced jet face design.

Caldera Spas accessories and features

Every Caldera hot tub model can be customized with entertainment options, comfort features and more.

• Hot tub steps: Caldera offers three different styles of steps for its hot tubs. Choose one that matches your hot tub’s exterior to help turn your spa into the centerpiece of your backyard landscaping.
    • Hot tub covers: A hot tub cover keeps debris out of your tub and helps conserve energy. Caldera Spas’ covers seal tightly and insulate your tub.
    • Cover lifters: Caldera Spas’ cover lifters feature pneumatic gas shock lifters for effortless use.
    • Entertainment systems: Get speakers built into your tub or buy a wireless monitor and watch your favorite shows as you soak.
    • Cool Zone: This feature cools the water to let you use the hot tub year-round. If it’s too hot outside, set the water to a cold temperature and enjoy.
    • Water Care: Hot tubs in the Vacanza series use FROG Water Care Systems to make maintenance easy. The Paradise and Utopia series use the FreshWater Salt System.

Caldera Spas FAQ

Do Caldera Spas come with a warranty?
    Every Calderas Spa series comes with a warranty. The Vacanza has a five-year shell warranty, a two-year surface warranty and a two-year plumbing warranty. The Paradise and Utopia Series have even longer warranties — a 10-year shell warranty, seven-year surface warranty and five-year plumbing warranty.
    How do you drain a Caldera Spa hot tub?
    Draining a Caldera Spas hot tub is as simple as turning off your breakers and pulling the handle on the main drain valve. While the handle is pulled, you rotate it and remove the cap. If you live in an area where the winter temperature drops below freezing, you must drain and winterize the hot tub. Your owners’ manual has directions for draining your specific hot tub model.
    How often do you clean a Caldera Spa?
    One of the benefits of Caldera Spas tubs is their low maintenance. To maintain your spa, you should regularly wash your filter. You should also change out the water on a set schedule — if your tub uses the saltwater hot tub system, this only needs to be done once a year. Use chemicals to sanitize your tub as directed by your owners’ manual.
    Where are Caldera Spas made?
    Caldera Spas are made at a factory in Vista, California.

Are Caldera Spas worth it?

If you’re looking for an easy-to-maintain hot tub that has features designed for comfort, Caldera Spas could be an excellent option. The company’s spas are expensive, but Caldera strives to make a luxurious product. Some customers complain about needing to make regular repairs to keep their tub operating smoothly, but the warranty should cover repairs that are needed within two to 10 years of purchasing the spa.

Caldera Spas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caldera Spas?

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

We had our Caldera Seychelles spa installed in our new covered porch/exterior deck addition July, 2021. This is the fourth spa we've had in four houses. We also had a Caldera at our last house so choosing the brand for our new house was a no-brainer. We were at our last house for 12 years and the Caldera had very few issues - one service call and it was covered under warranty. However, one issue I'm concerned with is the salt system. This is the first time I've taken the salt route. The initial cartridge only lasted six weeks - not the four months as I was told.

I do use the spa almost every day but only for about 15 minutes and I'm the only one using it. I clean the filter regularly and and I'm definitely a "seasoned spa owner" and check the water chemistry several times a week. I will be very disappointed if I can't get future salt cartridges to last longer as I'm retired and the maintenance cost will be far more than was advertised. Caldera should subsidize the cartridge cost - $250 for just 3 cartridges is just too much! Help!

Original review: June 30, 2021

I love my Caldera Cantabria Hot tub. It is my happy place and I smile every time I'm in it. It does, however, have a few problems. The jets do fall off a lot, and after an hour of use, it shuts down automatically and there is no way to restart it. I've learned to stop and restart it around the 50 minute mark and this seems to trick it into running for another hour. My final issue is the location of the control panel. It is located right by the exit point, and in the dark it is easy to put your hand on it when getting out. Last night, my boyfriend put too much pressure on it when exiting the tub and the screen cracked making it unable to read at all. We are going to have to buy a new one and I'm bummed because they are not cheap to replace and this seems like a poor design on something I paid top dollar for. Overall, I really do love my tub, I don't mean to sound over negative, but those are my only negatives.

Oh no, Jodi!

I am sorry to hear about the spa issues. I will DM you for further assistance.

You bring up a good topic about getting in and out of the spa. There are spa handrails that swivel allowing a bather to get in and out easily. Also, there is no designated entry or exit point on the spa. Feel free to move your spa steps to get in the spa on another side.

Thank you for your post and I'm happy to hear that you love your spa.
    I look forward to working with you.

Vanessa Customer Service

Get buying tips about Hot Tubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

Purchased our Spa our Utopia Spa and had it delivered on 09/20/2020. Love it but only thing is the jet parts keep falling off and the cartridges last less than two months. I've tried everything and have already gone through 3 cartridges since September 2020. We use the spa 3-4 times a week and I am on top of cleaning it twice a week. Bummed as the cartridges are expensive and we were told we would only need to change it every 4 months!~ Not true.

Alex,

Thank you for your feedback. I am thrilled that you love your spa. I am sorry to hear that your jet parts keep falling off, and the salt cartridges do not last the average time frame, as they should. I want to learn more about your water care and help out. I will DM you for more information. I appreciate the details, and I look forward to working with you soon.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

We purchased a Caldera Salina in February of 2020. We went with the saltwater system as we were told it is little to no maintenance. The hot tub itself has been a very welcomed addition to our home and we use it about 3 times a week. Unfortunately the salt cartridges that we were told should last about 4 months have only been lasting about a month and a half. Big difference when a year supply is about $300 dollars. When we contacted Caldera about this we were told our dealer would reimburse us with more cartridges but the dealer sends us back to Caldera. Beginning to feel like the level of support goes out the window once they get your money. Not sure where to go from here but now I'm stuck with $900 a year in cartridges cost.

Caldera Spas response
      Oh no! That is not how it should be. I will make sure you get your cartridges. I will also work with our team and the dealer to resolve the issue. The cartridges should last 4 months. I am sure there is an adjustment that can be made.
      Thank you for taking the time to share your review, and I look forward to working with you soon.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
      Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

Bought a Caldera Martinique in 2016, it has worked well until recently. I ran the "clean" cycle and noticed a LARGE volume of water at the base of the hot tub. My dealer came out and diagnosed the problem, water was pouring through the speaker openings. I did not purchase a speaker option or package with this tub, so the speakers are essentially non-functioning. This looks to be a failure in the design of the speaker mounting, water should not pour through the speaker opening. The cost to have the dealer caulk the speaker opening is very high (over $300). I am looking for speaker replacement plugs, I will remove the speakers and install the plugs.

Hello James

You are correct; water should not be leaking out of the spa. I want to know about your spa leak and how I can help.

I will DM you for further assistance. Thank you for taking the time to reach out.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: July 9, 2021

My husband has been through 2 back surgeries and 3 shoulder surgeries and has since been forced into early retirement. Water therapy had been recommended as part of pain management therapy. I am also a nurse and spend many hours on my feet and have constant back, neck, and shoulder issues from constant bending and lifting. Thus, we decided purchasing a hot tub would be a good thing for both of us.

We originally purchased our Caldera Utopia-Geneva 11/2017 from Backyard Leisure in IN. This particular series was more expensive than most at the cost of over 14K, but we have always believed that you get what you pay for and wanted to be sure we purchased a product that would last. When it was finally delivered 2/27/18, the wrong hot tub was delivered as we ordered it in the midnight sun shell color and they delivered the tuscan sun shell color. We are not quite certain who was at fault for the mix up-but Backyard Leisure blamed Caldera for the mistake. Upon receipt of the correct one 3/37/18, just one month later, we have had nothing but problems. It took 3 months for the 1st order and just a month for a replacement and we have been skeptical of this fact from the beginning as if they rushed our order a bit too much and something was never right.

In the first year alone from 2018-2019 we had been through at least a dozen speakers as they kept blowing. Mind you, my husband and I are in our 50s, we do not have small children, and thus we do not blast our music nor splash around in the hot tub in any manner that should cause marine grade speakers to blow over and over again.

After the first year, our warranty on the sound system we had paid an extra $1000 for had expired. From 2019 until present, we have continued to replace speakers at our own cost out of pocket at the tune of approximately $100 a pop and we are currently at over $600 in speakers out of pocket in the past year alone. One would think as it was a constant issue that between Caldera and Backyard Leisure this issue should have been addressed and we should not have had to pay to replace speakers out of our own pocket, but that is not the case. Backyard Leisure tells us to contact Caldera to rectify the situation and Caldera, when we can get any communication from them, places the issue back in the hands of Backyard Leisure.

In May of this year, 2021, our subwoofer went out. Given that we have had so many issues with the sound system, one would think an exception would be made in covering the part, but instead Backyard Leisure billed us over $350 to replace it and they were even thoughtful enough to bill us for mileage as we seem to have become a burden to them with our issues. We wrote Caldera about this and never received a response.

2 weeks after the subwoofer was fixed, the jets went out. Fortunately this was still under warranty and was fixed. About a week ago, just 5 weeks after the subwoofer was replaced and about a week after the jets were replaced, the music button on our control panel went out and thus we can no longer play any music on the sound system that has been paid for twice over in repairs already.

Caldera has not bothered with a response and Backyard Leisure was more concerned that we pay their repair fees than admit that we have had sound/wiring issues with this hot tub from day one. My husband was a union electrician and everything that has gone on points to bad wiring, which in considering it was rushed to us in a third of the time it took to deliver the wrong model the first time would make perfect sense, yet neither Backyard Leisure nor Caldera care to listen, investigate, or even admit something has always been wrong.

To sum things up, our hot tub was rushed after their mistake on the first one, there has been an issue with the sound/wiring since day one, and after paying over $14k for the hot tub, we have now soaked over $1200 more out of pocket for continuing issues with a hot tub that is just barely 3 years old. Do your research and find both a company that stands behind their hot tub, which Caldera does not, and a dealer which stands behind their customers, which Backyard Leisure does not. We had thought we did our research but we were way off base in choosing Caldera. It takes forever to get a response from them, if any, and in the end they do nothing to help and basically just don't seem to care. After all, what's $14k - just part of our retirement savings used to place faith their product, which obviously means nothing to Caldera. Buyer beware and shop for a different product.

Caldera Spas response

Thank you, Kym, for your feedback. I am sorry to hear about your spa experience.

Soaking in spas for water therapy is one of the main reasons we are passionate about our work. We believe everyone should practice wellness, and we know soaking in a hot tub can facilitate that.

I want to help. I will DM for further assistance.

The way we manufacture spas is not rushed and is tested before they are shipped.

There is more to this, and I look forward to helping.

Vanessa Customer Service

Original review: June 13, 2021

We have been dealing with a warranty issue for over 4 months. Company puts it all on the dealer and he is not making a good faith effort to fix our spa. Their response to this will be blah blah blah, we will do every we can...but they will only listen to the dealer's ** excuses.

Caldera Spas response
      Oh no, Chris. I am sorry to hear about your frustration with the warranty process. It sounds like there is more to this situation. I'd like to know about it and see how I can help.
      From what you are saying, I'm sure you have a case already started. I will PM you for your info.
      The dealer and spa owner's account is considered when a warranty claim is filed, and the spa and the parts are examined.
      I look forward to working with you soon.

Vanessa-Customer Service

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

We bought our Caldera Tahitian from Basement and Backyards April of 2020 for almost $10K. I wanted a cheaper spa but my husband wanted to spend more on a tub that would "not require much maintenance", little did we know that nothing would work correctly on this tub. We were so excited to get a healthier salt water tub but unfortunately this tub's salt water system never worked despite dumping the water over 6 times, buying at least 4 salt water cartridges. Caldera will not help you if you call them. They just continue to sending us to the vendor who no longer responds to our calls. They take no ownership of the issues with their brand new tub! We are completely stuck with this now almost $11K lemon (with the additional features we bought) and we have absolutely no recourse, so much for the "warranty" we were told we would get with this investment!

From the beginning we had issues. Upon delivery of the tub we were told that the installers would know if the tub needed to be leveled. The installers were rude and broke my pavers and told us no need to level the tub. When the owner Derrick came out to get the tub/salt water up and running he told us we needed to pay the installers to come back to level the tub. Over the next couple months we could not get the salt system to work correctly, Derrick sent out a guy who barely checked the tub and told us "it smells good and looks good so it must be good" however no chlorine would register in the tub without us manually adding.

For our anniversary we decided to get the stereo system since the tub was sold with speakers. My husband spent 2 days on his hands and knees installing and getting other opinions of why the stereo would not work only to find out once Derrick sent his stereo guy out that the speakers were bad and they would need to be replaced at their expense. Strange that they would be bad on a brand new tub? Once they were installed we could never get the Bluetooth to connect to the phones so we could listen to music in the tub, complete waste of another $600.

We are now 9 months out and we have never gotten the salt system to work, the tub foams every time we use it, stereo still won't connect and Caldera just keeps sending us to Derrick who does not respond. This tub has been the root of so many arguments in my marriage and continues to disappoint. We have now spent over $11K with upgrades and endless amounts of water and time trying to get it right which has yet to happen.. it disappoints us daily. Our friends went to GA Spa and love their salt water tub from hot springs, wish we could say the same. If we had to do it over we would have never purchased this investment. Buyer beware.

Caldera Spas response

Caroline, Thank you for reaching out to Caldera. I am genuinely sorry that your experience so far has not been pleasant. I want to help you with your saltwater system; you should not be going through cartridges that quickly or changing out your water. I also want to address any concerns you may have with your Tahitian and help work with your local dealer for service. I will DM you for more information. I look forward to working with you soon. Maria - Customer Service

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

I purchased in spring of 2020 from Deans stove spa in Ct. Spa was delivered broken then touchscreen repeatedly fails-found spa on last week at 116 degrees! Called dealers. Two weeks now no response and Caldera promised to fix this summer but they appear to be disengaged with local dealers- a lot of empty dreams and promises.

Marty,

I am genuinely sorry that it is taking so long for this issue to be resolved. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I will contact Dean’s Stove and Spa and help get your spa back on track.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help.

I look forward to your reply.

Maria- Customer Service

Original review: Dec. 12, 2020

Updated on 3/9/2021: We were in communication with Vanessa from customer service at Caldera Spas. I have been waiting for a response from Vanessa since 12-29-20. We have not had any of our issues resolved. In December they had told us that they would replace our cover at no charge to our Cantabria spa which hasn’t happened. Our Bluetooth premium sound system still doesn’t work. Our multiple plastic jet covers still falling off. The one pump occasionally gets loud etc... just would like a phone call or email or something. Thanks.

Original review: We upgraded (I thought) our 8 person Hydrapool spa to the larger Caldera Cantabria 2 years ago. This unit is their top of the line including Bluetooth sound system, 3 pumps, 72 jets & hydraulic cover. 1st major problem, on a chilly Pittsburgh night we enter tub with a water temperature of 104. Within an hour we have to get out, the temperature is now 98 & can’t keep the desired temperature. 2nd. The very expensive Bluetooth sound system with subwoofer only worked once. My 3 children are all engineers & know how to set up Bluetooth & an iPhone. It’s the spa will not receive a signal. 3rd. The 72 jets that there are all have cheap plastic rings.. Usually opening the cover there’s a few swimming around, after numerous times reinstalling them I got mad & wizzed them out in 4 acres of grass & let the tractor take care of them.. Think the tractor has aroound 12 victims.

4th.. The cheap cover.. When it rains it gets puddles on top as if someone was jumping on it which is not the case, also the material is cracking everywhere & needs replaced from 2 years, my old Hydrapool spa had just 2 covers in 15 years of use & also this 2 year old cover that is properly covering spa is a poor design because I see steam leaking out in multiple places. 5th. Every once in a while one of the 3 pumps gets noisy so I just shut that one off. 6th would have to be the price. My wife got it for me for my birthday & didn’t tell me the cost but think it was in between $15,000-$20,000 & considering #7... getting in & out is tough.. No real inside step or anything & the glass surfaced control panel is where your hand has to go so my wife which is skinny broke the glass panel getting in..

8th. So with all these issues we really don’t use the spa often, my neighbor bought one from a home show for 1/4 the price of ours & we’re in theirs more, my kids & their friends agree especially when after an hour or so you need to close the cover to get the temperature back up.. That’s all the cons.. The pros if I had to pick one would be the water circulation is good & the water & spa stay clean.. Sorry so long of a review but it’s all true. ✅

Jeffery,

I'm sorry about your spa experience. You are right. You have one of our largest, most popular luxury spas. While this site limits my reply, I would like to address all of your concerns and see how I can help. I will send you a private message.
      I can assure you we stand behind our spas and provide an excellent spa warranty. This situation is important to us, and I look forward to working with you soon.

Take a Hot Tub Quiz