2. Homeowners
  3. Hot Tubs

4.3/5 (101 ratings)

About Master Spas

Master Spas offers a wide variety of hot tubs and aims to satisfy everyone’s likes and needs. No matter what you are looking for, Master Spas is ready to assist you in finding the hot tub that will best fit your needs. Contact the company to explore different hot tub options and find local Master Spas dealers.

Pros

• Combination swim spas
  • Advanced biomagnetic therapy
  • Quiet motor

Cons

• Must see local dealer for pricing
  • Limited customization

Bottom Line

Master Spas is one of the few tub companies to use biomagnetic therapy with hydrotherapy for better pain management. Its hot tubs are less customizable, but the combination swim spas and hot tubs let you relax or exercise.

Top Master Spas Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The installation of my spa was easy to schedule. Master Spas went around whatever time I had open and worked with me. They were very accommodating ... I've been pretty happy with ...

Verified

... I’m very happy with the tub. The size of the tub as well as the lighting are great. I’m in New England so the heater keeps things running even in the coldest days. So, with th...

About Master Spas

Master Spas sells a variety of hot tubs and swim spas that are excellent for relaxation or staying in shape. Master Spas swim spas are perfect for customers who want their swim spa to double as a low-impact exercise tool and family pool. The Master Spas H2X fitness spa can also be used as a hot tub.

Select models also come with innovative technology, such as multiple speed levels and therapeutic seat and jet placement.

Master Spas hot tubs

Master Spas creates a variety of hot tubs to suit different needs and budgets. The manufacturer's line has four series of hot tubs, each of which contains multiple models.

• The Twilight series includes eight hot tubs, all of which seat three to seven people. Standard features include ergonomic seating, a biomagnetic therapy system and an Orion light system. Optional features offered are Wi-Fi, Dream Lighting, a natural water sanitizing system and more. Capacity ranges from 200 to 395 gallons, and all tubs are 34 to 38 inches deep. Their dimensions range from 78 inches by 78 inches to 94 inches by 94 inches. Every tub has 36 to 49 jets.
  • The Getaway Series includes four affordable hot tubs that are lightweight and durable. Several models are plug-and-play, requiring only a 120-volt outlet. Standard options include Duramaster Polymer cabinets, EcoPur Charge water filtration, stainless-steel massage jets and Colorscape LED lighting. Capacity ranges from 225 gallons to 390 gallons.
  • The Michael Phelps Legend series has features that vary by tub, but premium options include lighting, sound and Wi-Fi add-ons.
  • Clarity series spas come with EcoPur Charge Water Purification, StressRelief Neck and Shoulder seats and better energy efficiency. Optional hot tub features include Dream Lighting and a Fusion Air sound system. The six models seat five to eight people and have between 28 and 57 jets. The largest model is 108 inches by 94 inches by 38 inches, and the smallest model is 70 inches by 84 inches by 34 inches.

Master Spas prices

Most Master Spas hot tubs cost between $6,000 and $15,000. Master Spas doesn't display pricing online, but you can find the cost of specific models by contacting your nearest Master Spas dealer. You can also request hot tub or swim spa pricing using Master Spas' contact forms. You may be able to trade in your used hot tub or get financing to pay for a new one.

Master Spas accessories

Master Spas offers several accessories to customize your hot tub. Some accessories are designed for safety, including rails, steps and Master Spas' covers.

Master Spas FAQ

How much are Master Spas hot tubs?
Master Spas’ tub pricing starts around $4,000. The price for each model depends on your location. Contact your local dealer for exact pricing information.
How do you maintain a Master Spas hot tub?
Cleaning your Master Spas filters every month involves a few steps:
  1. Remove large debris from the filter.
  2. Spray the filter down with a hose.
  3. Place the filter in 5-gallon bucket with the appropriate cleaning agent and let it soak overnight.
  4. Be sure to rinse thoroughly.
  5. Put the filter back.

Master Spas' EcoPur Charge filter only needs to be removed and rinsed before being placed back.

To clean your Master Spas hot tub:

1. Drain the tub.
  2. Wipe it down with a soft cloth and acrylic-friendly cleaner.
  3. Spot treat any stubborn mineral buildup with white vinegar or a Magic Eraser.
  4. Thoroughly rinse any spa pillows and the tub shell.

When done, fill the tub back up with water and add in Master Spas chemicals to keep the water balanced.

How do you drain a Master Spas hot tub?
To drain a Master Spas hot tub, locate the drain assembly behind the tub skirt panel and remove the cap. You can also attach a garden hose to the end of the drain assembly.
How do you winterize a Master Spas hot tub?
Master Spas hot tubs are usable year-round. Master Spas does not recommend you winterize the hot tub.
Do Master Spas hot tubs come with a warranty?
Master Spas’ warranties vary by the hot tub or swim spa series. Clarity Spas have a standard limited warranty of one to three years on Master Spas parts. Swim spas in the Michael Phelps Legend Series have a 10-year standard warranty on the spa structure, a seven-year warranty on the shell surface and a five-year warranty on plumbing. All warranty repairs include replacement parts and labor.

Are Master Spas good?

Master Spas has a great selection of U.S.-made hot tubs and swim spas that are durable and competitively priced. Its tubs are easy to clean, come with several feature options and have strategically placed jets for the ultimate in comfort and relaxation. The company is an excellent choice for people looking for a multipurpose spa, but it may not appeal to those who want the ability to personalize their hot tub with multiple custom features.

Master Spas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Master Spas?

Original review: July 2, 2021

We NEED our hot tub! Husband has spinal injuries from auto accident, I have back injuries from lifting people at work. We have owned hot tubs at last 4 homes- 1 VitaSpa followed by 3 different models of Hot Spring spas. When researching latest and greatest tech in hot tubs, Master Spas was top of the list for therapeutic features (magnetic pain relief, targeted jets) as well as construction quality. The nearest store was Southeast Spas, I called to ask about availability and was told orders were running a year out due to pandemic delays. We were happy with our Hot Springs spas, so I contacted a dealership for them- same answer, a year for an order to be received. The pandemic not only delayed construction because of factory closings, but materials were also an issue.

Just about convinced we would HAVE to wait a year, I saw an online ad for a National Hot Tub Expo here in Ocala, FL. I called the phone listed to inquire about brands of tubs, was DELIGHTED to learn it was Master Spas! I spoke with Troy ** when I called, he was nice enough to find out what models would be at the show. He called back and told me a Twilight 7.2 and an 8.2 would be available, and I immediately responded "I WANT THE 7.2, no questions, I've DONE my research".

Understanding our physical need for the tub, Troy agreed to meet us at the Expo, we signed the contract Friday afternoon, understanding the tub would be delivered after the conclusion of the show. We got the delivery notice the NEXT DAY, and the tub was delivered by Ian and Robert (2 VERY professional gentlemen) they did an AMAZING job manipulating our tub between tight spaces to get it onto the concrete pad in the backyard. They even gave us instruction for moving the tub into its final position! The day after the Hot Tub Expo ended I received another phone call from Southeast Spas to inform me if I was still in the market a few hot tubs were still available. Our experience so far has been very professional, with excellent follow-up on our inquiries, and fast, efficient sales and delivery experience. We can hardly wait for the concrete pad to cure so our new hot tub can be placed and connected- stay tuned for product satisfaction review!

Get buying tips about Hot Tubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 6, 2021

We didn't know about Master Spas till we went to a show that was up in Washington where we ended up buying one. I saw the ad for the show on the phone. We were looking for a spa and we looked at a couple others. We would pursue one of those swim spas and I thought, “Well, if we went up there to the show, they probably have some, and we'd have an idea of what they're like and what they run, the price and all this and that." We went up there, and I didn't realize that it was just Master Spas they were all saying, which was fine.

They have a few different features to them, but there were different models. When we went back, we did a little reading up on Master Spas. We were very impressed with the attitude and the priorities that the company has in terms of supporting Christian schools. We were very pleased that God had brought us up there, because not only was the spa impressive, but doing business with a company like that is always desirable from our point of view.

The one we ended up with was a Clarity Balance 9. When we first bought it, it took a couple of weeks before they scheduled delivery and got it set up. We also had to go South for a family thing and then we had to get the electrical ran and all of the things that we had to do to hook one up. When I opened it up and was able to see inside there, I was impressed with the two big motors and the size of the plumbing. It's a quality unit made well. Our need for it is for my wife because she does all her Pilates and all her exercises in the water. She needed a bigger spa than normal because she's kicking and doing all those kinds of stuff. That was what caught her eye with this one. Plus, we’ve got nine grandkids, so they can all go in there at the same time.

Also, Master Spas has that Eco Filter on them, which is a real added feature. With what my wife and I understood though, the salesman represented it a little bit as, “You don't have to do that kind of stuff that you had to do with other spas.” In reality, it's not a whole lot different. You still have to balance your water, check the spa, take care of it, and change your filters. We just ordered some more filters, so we have those. My wife had another spa before and it’s what we used to do. When you take them out, you'd have to let the bigger one dry and we wanted to have that to replace it. We've got a couple of backups now, so we're ready to do that. We've had the spa functioning for two months now. We also bought a couple of other little things for it like the step and the handrail, which have all been put on. It’s doing a good job for my wife. She is the one who uses the spa and she hasn't used it a whole lot, but she’s really enjoying it.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

We purchased a 15-seater tub from Master Spas. It’s 8 foot wide and 15 foot long, with 46 rings on it. So we’re very happy with it. We went down to the expo and this was their fifth year at our convention center. We caught them on the last day and my wife fell in love with it. She has enjoyed it much more than I have. We ended up paying about $22,000 but it was retailing for around 30,000. The distributor is Florida-based and we've got to give them a call. Hopefully, he's got somebody close by. We experienced Hurricane Zeta and it tore the wrap off. It is useless because it’s been compromised on the strapping part of it. The straps are all fabric and it’s a zip type thing. It needs to be replaced.

We did not get any forecast of this 110 mile an hour wind. There’s a fellow across the street, next block over from us, who has a wind gauge and he said that he had multiple hits of 110 miles an hour. We had some trouble but it’s not the spa’s fault. I had even purchased for that occasion. I bought a special tarp and had it set up where I could just put rubber straps all the way around the whole thing. These things are about two inches wide and about half inch thick but I didn't dare go outside because I had a 110 mile an hour pieces of roofing coming at me. My wife was thinking that it would rip it off but I didn’t think it would have.

Everything went well. The delivery, the sale and the spa were great. The only problem I have with that spa is that for females, it’s hard to get the cover opened. The only way is to buy a more expensive one for it, which is electric. They could have offered it but I might be able to buy something where I can hook it because there are two pieces of covering. It got metal bars on the back side of each side that are framed with it, and they move with it. I can connect it to the bars and have a strap, and she might be able to pull it a lot easier. I’ll think of something and maybe Master Spas can come up with an idea where you could put it on there and hold it. And when you take it up, you’re gonna have to release it or something will put it down quite easily.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

Master Spas was having like an expo where they had the different units out and they were talking about how the units worked. I really liked the guy that I was talking to and I liked the spa. We were waffling between the 8-foot or the 11-foot. I need the spa because I've had a double hip replacement and I need to do warm water therapy.

There was a promotion and the guy told me that he could get me a really good deal on the 2019. So, I went out there and talked to the guy. I had initially decided I was gonna go with an 11-foot. Then I kept looking at the book and I decided that the 8-foot had more seating. It was still a swim spa but it would be better to have more seats. As we got to talk about it, the guy said that he could do a really good deal with our 2020 and I wouldn't have to take a 2019. The order took a little longer but I wasn't ready for it anyway. I like everything about the spa. I can turn the heat off and cool it down for summer times so that it's cooler. Then, in the fall and the winter, I can turn the heat on and that's very nice. I like the jets. It does a really good job. It's not just the hydrotherapy for me. It's a good hot tub, too.

The spa's hydraulic lids are not as easy to use. When they said hydraulic to me, I thought they meant automatic hydraulic where you'd push a button. But that's not what it is. It's on a mechanism and you have to flip the things back, and then you lift it up, and then pulling it down is really harder than lifting it up. I also have to step on a step stool. It requires some physical strength and height that I don't have. So, I'm limited to my ability to use it as often as I would like to. I can't really get in the spa if my husband is not home, mainly because he won't allow it because it is more of a strenuous exercise than I thought it would be. I also wasn't impressed with the stairs at all. They're plastic. We had to build something up to it to put the stairs on.

Once you have had an injury as I've had, there's no therapy that touches the deep water, warm water therapy. These Master Spas are swim spas but they're also perfect for deep water, warm water therapy. And unless you can find a YMCA or a person who does this at their home, there's no other option. So Master Spas is the go-to for anybody and you can get this pretty hot too. You could do a small hot tub area if you did an inground pool, but Master Spas is better than that and has a better price.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

Master Spas is one of the top ones. It has really good online reviews. We had a hot tub before and wanted a new one. We had moved to a different house that did not have a hot tub, and so we wanted one. We got the Twilight 8.2. I'm above average size, and I didn't fit that well in all the other hot tubs that I've seen. The Twilight 8.2 fits me better. We had Hot Spring hot tub in the past. The Twilight is much nicer. We bought ours used and we had a larger budget this time. So we wanted one with a little more features this time. We were happy with our one in the past, but we're very happy with the one that we purchased now.

The installation team was fantastic and the service team was really fantastic. Another reason why we chose Master Spas was the Master Spas in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The dealer really had a great salesman. He was able to answer our questions and helped us think about other things that we should be looking for in a hot tub. Then the person who helped us with all the paperwork gave us information for our electrician and talked about different things that we should think about maybe buying in the future or not really thinking about either adding to our hot tub or not based on cost. It was a really nice experience.

Since using the Master Spas, I'm much more relaxed. We are really enjoying the hydrotherapy. Both my wife and I have some arthritis. So that really helped with our achy joints and to our stressful jobs, releasing some stress at night. Our hot tub has very high quality. I would put it against any other of the hot tubs on the market. I really love the product and the customer service that we got at the dealer. We visited probably six other dealers in the Grand Rapids area and the service that we got from Master Spas went well. I would highly recommend the one that we got, but also the dealer that we went to.

Master Spas response

We're so happy to hear this, Tim! We love hearing about the positive experiences our customers have had, not only with our product but with their dealer as well. Thank you for sharing!

Original review: July 14, 2021

My wife and I were looking for a new spa. At a local spa show we fell in love with the idea of a swim spa and the salesman from Master Spa was very convincing. After delivery and after owning for 2 years, I had hoped that someone told us the following. The obvious, a swim spa is 3-4 times as expensive as a spa. We had to pay for a concrete slab base for the new spa with the ability to support 1900 gallons of water plus the weight of the spa which is around another 500 lbs. We had to have a new 50 amp breaker and electrical installed to the spa. Once we got it assembled, we noticed - There is no way to drain it.

You are supposed to replace the water 2-4 times a year depending on use and you are responsible for purchasing your own submersible pump to do it. For CA, the water costs are quite costly as well for changing out the water. The covers are very difficult to get on and off. Even with the best mechanical lifts that you also have to buy on your own and install, you need to open the covers over 5-6 ft. above your head and they are heavy.

Maintenance - The skimming top layer filters do not do a good job of filtering the surface. From the beginning, oils, dirt, debris, will not effectively get drawn to the filters even when the jets are on. The majority of the volume of filtration comes from 2 inlets under the seating area and I do not think they back-flow to the filters for cleaning the water. There also is not enough force to remove dirt or debris off the bottom of the spa basin. Filters are proprietary to Master Spa and 2-3 times more expensive. only 2 of the 3 filters have generic sizing for replacement.

Warranty - Within the first 3 months, one of the decorative water jets stopped working. After an e-mail to the company, being rejected by 2 spa technicians, contacted a closer spa repair company 60 miles away and after 3 weeks, finally had a technician come out and remove manufacturing debris (wad of plastic) from the tube. The technician requested mileage covered for the repair in which Master Spa paid for.

At a year and a half old, the spa started leaking. Once again, contacted customer service, contacted the previous technician, Master Spa is no longer covering mileage. So, even though the repair is covered by the warranty, I have to pay $100 each time the technician comes out. To summarize before buying - actually test the swim spa for swim resistance and ease of use. The control valves are tough to turn. Swimming is challenging since the water force pushes you to the sides and it's hard to keep at the correct pace. Be aware of where the nearest service technician is. Anything farther than 30 miles will get a mileage charge that is not covered. Keep in mind it is neither a spa (seat jets are not that strong) or a pool but something in between.

Master Spas response

Hi Ken. Firstly, thank you for providing your feedback. We do appreciate it and we’re sorry to hear that your swim spa isn’t what you had hoped it would be.

You are correct about the drain. Due to the physical size of the swim spa, using a submersible sump pump is the most effective way to drain it quickly. Please also know that your water doesn’t have to be replaced 2-4 times per year if you feel the water quality is still good. We have many customers who go a year or more before draining and replacing their water.

As for the cover, we’re sorry to hear that you didn’t feel the cover lifter provided much assistance. We usually have great feedback from customers using cover lifters so it’s unfortunate that you didn’t feel it helped much. We do have an alternative cover, the Axis Cover System, that rolls up instead of folding. I’d encourage you to look into it if it sounds like something that could help.

I’d like to also address your concerns with filtration. As filters get dirty, there will be less suction and water being drawn into the filter housings. Regularly rinsing and cleaning your filters will allow the most optimal amount of water to draw into the skimmer and filter housing. If the filters are removed and there is draw felt as the pumps are operating, there is likely no problem at all. If you’re having an issue with debris settling at the bottom of your swim spa, I’d recommend buying a spa vacuum with an extendable arm. You can purchase them from Amazon and we’ve had customers who use them say that they are super helpful if your swim spa is installed in a place where leaves and debris are commonly getting into your water.

If you have any questions about your warranty, you can find a copy of your warranty on our website. (Click “Resources” in the top right corner, scroll down to “Warranties”, then select “Swim Spas” at the bottom. From there you can select the warranty that applies to your product.)

You can also contact our corporate Customer Service team by emailing customerservice@masterspas.com or calling (800) 860-7727 during business hours if you have any other questions. Thank you for the feedback, Ken.

Original review: May 27, 2021

We're very satisfied with the spa from Master Spas. Our experience has been very good. The delivery went very smoothly and the instructions were clear. I'm not having any issues at all with the spa. Definitely, the quality is much better than the one I had before.

Original review: May 20, 2021

We bought the Clarity hot tub and it looks nice. Aqua Haven was the Master Spas dealer and they had a show close to where we live. We were impressed with what the tub had. We had shopped around and I really wanted to buy from our local place, and the Clarity tub was thousands of dollars less. It was priced right. We love the quality of the tub. I like the jets. They really do help with sore muscles.

Original review: May 20, 2021

I never write reviews but I feel like I have to just so maybe we will get some movement from someone. We ordered our Master Spa February 21st, 2021 and was told that it would be delivered and in place with in 6-10 weeks. May 3rd (10 weeks) we received a phone call from the delivery person that he would deliver our hot tub Friday May 7th between 11-1. Friday, May 7th after 11:00 a..m. he called telling us that his truck had broke down and that we should have the hot tub the following Monday. No response on Monday, we contacted him and he said his truck was still broke down and it should be no later than Wednesday at the latest that it would be delivered. Wednesday came and we had to contact him again and he responded that he doesn't know when his truck will be fixed and that there are 6 hot tubs on his trailer.

Called our Sales Rep. and left a message. He called back the next day and he said he'd check into it, and call us back the next day. No call back. Called him again today and he acted shocked that we hadn't heard from anyone. He wanted us to send him via email all of the details of all of the problems we are having and also wanted us to try to call the shipping company. We don't have an email, we don't have a phone number of the shipping company. It is now May 19th and we have had to do ALL of the contacting to try to figure out when our hot tub is going to be here, they have our money and there has been NO Customer Service whatsoever. 3 weeks trying to get this resolved as of this Friday.

Master Spas response

Thanks for the feedback, Thomas. Unfortunately since the issues you're facing are with the company you purchased from and not us, the manufacturer, there's not a ton we can do here. However, I did reach out to the company you've been in correspondence with to pass along your review and get some more clarity on the situation. Their Head of Customer Service said that the delivery driver that does all of their Washington deliveries did in fact have issues with his truck as well as some medical issues. Because of that, they had been contacting customers and making them aware of the situation. Their Head of Customer Service will be reaching out to you soon to ensure there is no more miscommunication. Thank you again for the feedback and we hope to hear that you're enjoying your new spa soon.

Original review: May 19, 2021

We purchased our Master Spa from a spa show in Reno, NV on Feb 4, 2021. Our salesman, Cary, was great and very thorough in answering our questions. We were told of a delivery time to be between 6 and 8 weeks. I called, after not hearing of anything, on March 30 to check on delivery. I explained that our placement site was ready in which they replied they did not yet have an estimate on delivery as it was still in production and waiting to be assigned a serial number. I agreed and accepted to wait.

I called back on April 7 hoping for a better expectation than the last. But was again given the same answer. About a week later I was called and told that my spa was nearing the end of production and they wanted to confirm my site was ready. I confirmed and advised I had given the go ahead a few weeks prior but understand things get missed and thanked for calling.

On April 27 after still no word of delivery. I called in and spoke with a gentleman, who was more than condescending and rude. He advised salesmen tend to lie and he doesn't know why they told me 6-8 weeks as it can take up to 40 plus weeks and I need to be patient. Also if I can understand then I should check the fine print on the back of my contract as they state delivery times are not guaranteed. I disconnected the call.

He called me back to advise we had been disconnected and to finish what he was saying when I let him know that I work in customer service and would be fired if I spoke to someone the way he spoke to me. I also let him know that a simple "I'm sorry for the miscommunication and understand it's taking longer than expected." Would have been fine. WE ARE IN A PANDEMIC and I do understand everything is behind schedule and at high demand. We then hung up. He called me back about 10 minutes later to apologize. I assume the call was recorded and maybe he was reprimanded. I did not call again to check on delivery.

I received a call from the delivery driver on May 12 to advise of delivery that following Sunday, May 16. The delivery driver showed up on time and was friendly. He stated the spa steps, that I paid for and should have been delivered that day, were not sent and that he was told they would be sent to me via UPS. After no package or word, I called Master Spa customer service on May 18 hoping for a UPS tracking number for the steps. It was at that point I was told that the delivery drivers have been directed to say that and really they aren't sending them. (Who tells their employees to lie?) The agent went on to say they stopped production on all spa steps and instead are offering a $50 Refund.... I asked for a supervisor and never received a return call.

Spa steps are much more expensive than $50 for anything of quality. Plus it was not written how much of my overall cost that I spent on the spa was for steps, but I assume more than that!! Also, had I not called to get the UPS tracking number, I never would have received my steps and would assume they never would have called to notify me and to provide a discount. Overall the service, or lack of, we received from Master Spas customer service was more than poor and we are highly dissatisfied. There was zero communication on their end. All we can hope is the spa is worth it!

Master Spas response

Hi Kaitlyn. We're sorry to hear that you've been unhappy with your experience with your retailer. I was able to reach out to the Head of Customer Service at the company you purchased from. I passed your review along to him and he provided me with some insight on this situation.

Unfortunately, orders from the Reno show did get pushed out further than originally expected. As for the stairs, due to supply chain issues we've seen major delays in getting them out to customers. Because of this, your retailer has stopped ordering them for the time being. The $50 offered is not necessarily a credit for the cost of the stairs as they are included in your purchase, but when they decided to stop ordering the stairs they felt it would be better to offer $50 than nothing at all.

Your retailer's Head of Customer Service will be reaching out to you soon and I'll also send you a private message with his contact information so you can reach out to him if needed. Thank you again for the honest feedback.

Master Spas Company Information