Best Hot Tubs in Chicago, IL
A hot tub or spa is a luxury addition to any Chicago residence. A private hot tub in your backyard makes it easy to relax but requires careful planning. If you’re in the market for a hot tub, these Chicago hot tub and spa dealers can help.
Top 11 Hot Tub Stores in Chicago
|American Sale Chicago||Read Expert Review|
Offers a variety of outdoor activity products, including Artesian and Hot Spring hot tubs and spas. Prices start at around $2,000 to $3,000 for basic hot tub models. Installs swim spas, saunas and traditional pools.
|America’s Steam, Sauna and Spas||Read Expert Review|
Sells, installs, repairs and maintains hot tubs, whirlpools, steam rooms and saunas. Prices start at around $2,000 to $3,000 for basic hot tub models.
|Aqua Living||Read Expert Review|
Offers hot tubs, swim spas, saunas, baths and tanning beds. Brands include Plug & Power, Hudson Bay and Catalina. Provides a selection of traditional and modern spas. Hot tubs start at $2,300.
|Aqua Pools||Read Expert Review|
Offers spas and hot tubs from Dimension One and Marquis. Hot tub and spa prices start at around $4,000, depending on features. Installs inground pools.
|Arvidson Pools & Spas||Read Expert Review|
Specializes in Caldera Spas, with a smaller selection of Hot Spring portable spas and Fantasy Spas products. Caldera Spas range in price from $4,000 to $15,000, depending on size and desired features.
|Chicago Swim Spas||Read Expert Review|
Specializes in swim spas. Offers a variety of swim spa styles from Aquex, Wellness and AquaFIT. Prices start at around $7,000.
|Halogen Supply||Read Expert Review|
Features pool winterizing products, electrical heating parts and test reagents. Sells replacement parts and supplies for a wide range of hot tub and spa brands. Stocks pool supplies and chemicals.
|J&D Whirlpool||Read Expert Review|
Offers indoor spas, saunas and steam rooms. Carries major brands like Kohler. Whirlpool tub prices start at $1,700.
|North Shore Pool & Spa||Read Expert Review|
Specializes in installing and servicing custom hot tubs and spas. La-Z-Boy hot tubs and HydroPool spas start at around $7,000. Offers affordable renovations and regular maintenance for pools and spas.
|Russo’s||Read Expert Review|
Offers several popular brands, including Caldera, Marquis, Dream Maker, Viking, San Juan and Dimension One. Hot tub prices start at around $3,000.
|The Great Escape||Read Expert Review|
Offers several major brands, including Jacuzzi, Bullfrog, Sundance and Viking Spas. Standard models start at around $3,000. Sells custom and luxury spas.
What to consider before you buy a hot tub in Chicago
Purchasing a hot tub or spa in Chicago requires making many decisions. Your hot tub or spa should reflect your lifestyle and fit seamlessly into your outdoor space. You should also consider installation and delivery, structural support and safety, maintenance requirements and privacy.
Installation and delivery
Most hot tubs require a
Most hot tubs require a dedicated 240-volt outlet, which needs to be installed by a licensed electrician. Most hot tubs are filled with a garden house, so make sure your spa is close to an electrical outlet and outdoor faucet.
If the hot tub is being delivered by truck, the vehicle must be able to access your backyard. In extreme circumstances, Chicago homeowners have used cranes to lift a hot tub over the roof of their house and into the ideal location in the backyard. Make sure all of these details and instructions are set before your delivery day.
Structural support and safety
The safest place for an above ground hot tub is on flat, solid ground or a pre-poured concrete slab. Some homeowners choose to put their hot tub on their back patio or deck — be sure your deck can support the hot tub’s weight before placing it, however. A 450-gallon hot tub filled with water weighs more than 5,000 pounds. Add the weight of a few adults, and you’re putting a significant strain on your deck.
Placing a hot tub on a tile floor could create a fall hazard, and putting it directly on dirt typically causes a muddy mess. Many Chicago residents choose to install hot tubs under awnings so they can enjoy their spas even during afternoon rainstorms. Families with children, or who have children visit frequently, should always put safety measures in place.
It’s necessary to drain and clean your hot tub a couple of times a year, so be sure to place it in a location that makes this task simple and safe. Placing your hot tub near an existing drain helps reduce damage to your porch area or backyard in the case of overflow. Consider having a drain installed if there isn’t one already present.
Keep in mind that the area around your hot tub is continuously exposed to water. If you’re worried about water and chemicals damaging your wooden deck, you may want to rethink the placement of your hot tub. If you plan to place your hot tub on a wooden structure, paint the wood with an oil-based sealant to prevent water damage and mildew.
Many retailers offer free in-home estimates and consult with you on the best location to place your hot tub.
The location of your hot tub plays a significant role in how private your experience is. Depending on how visible your personal oasis is, you might consider specialized landscaping or a hot tub gazebo to ensure your privacy, especially if you intend to use your hot tub for romantic date nights.
Hot tub laws in Chicago, Illinois
The City of Chicago requires residents to obtain a permit before installing a private hot tub or pool. The city also has strict regulations regarding safety, including:
- No electrical lines may be located underneath the hot tub, within 5 feet of the hot tub wall or directly above the hot tub.
- Any hot tub deeper than 24 inches must be surrounded by a fence.
- The pool must be equipped with a cover when not in use for prolonged periods. Most hot tubs come with a manual cover, which satisfies this safety statute.
Compare popular hot tub models in Chicago
The days when everyone on the street had the same hot tub in their backyard are long gone. Hot tubs now come in a variety of different sizes and shapes and offer various special features.
Denver’s hot tub and spa dealers offer many options and styles, whether you want to ease muscle pain or entertain friends and family.
|Best for relaxation||Best for families||Best for small spaces|
|Model||Monaco Elite||Concord||Twilight TS 240|
|Seating capacity||5 adults||4 adults||3 adults|
|Water capacity||250 gallons||411 gallons||205 gallons|
|Pumps||1||3 - 5||2|
|Manufacturer||Marquis Spas||ThermoSpas||Master Spas|
|Model||Shape||Seating capacity||Water capacity||Jets||Pumps||LED lighting||Manufacturer|
|Best for relaxation||Monaco Elite||Round||5 adults||250 gallons||23||1||Marquis Spas|
|Best for families||Concord||Square||4 adults||411 gallons||51-99||3-5||ThermoSpas|
|Best for small spaces||Twilight TS 240||Triangular||3 adults||205 gallons||26||2||Master Spas|
Chicago hot tub FAQ
- How much does a hot tub cost?
- Depending on the size, shape, style and options, hot tubs cost anywhere between $3,000 and $18,000.
- How far does a hot tub need to be from a house?
- In Chicago, hot tubs should be located more than 10 feet from the house. Hot tubs can be located less than 10 feet from decks, but only if the 10-foot separation between the spa and the house is maintained.
- Where can I rent a hot tub by the hour in Chicago?
- Many Chicago companies, like Wet & Wild Spa Rental & Repair, provide hourly hot tub rentals.
- What is a portable hot tub?
- Most hot tubs are portable, meaning they can be drained and moved from one location to another. This can be difficult, however — hot tubs are heavy and cumbersome. Consider an inflatable hot tub if you're looking for something affordable and easy to move.
- Do hot tubs need a water supply?
- No. You do not need a water supply directly plugged into a hot tub, but it does need to be close to a garden hose for occasional fill-ups.
- What is a current pool?
- A current pool is a large vessel, bigger than a hot tub but smaller than a swimming pool, that produces its own current. Current pools are popular with Chicago residents who want to swim for exercise but don’t have space for a swimming pool.
- How much electricity does a hot tub use?
- You can expect a hot tub to use 1,500 watts or 6,000 watts, depending on the voltage. The hot tub’s heater uses the most electricity, so purchasing an energy-efficient, insulated spa reduces your energy bills.
Chicago hot tub store information
The Great Escape sells a wide selection of hot tubs and spas. The company also provides chemicals, accessories and other supplies to maintain your unit. It offers 0% financing for purchases of $999 or more to people with approved credit.
- Locations: Algonquin, Aurora, Batavia, Bloomington, Bridgeview, Downers Grove, Gurnee, Joliet, Mundelein, Oak Brook, Orland Park, Peoria, Rockford, Schaumburg, South Holland, Tinley Park and Wilmette
- Address: 7238 W. 87th St., Bridgeview, IL 60455
- Phone: (708) 599-5099
- Hours: Mon - Fri: 10am - 8pm; Sat: 10am - 6pm; Sun: 10am - 5pm
- Website: shopthegreatescape.com
Arvidson Pools & Spas offers product lines from several major brands. The retailer also sells equipment, accessories and other items. Arvidson runs special deals each month. Financing is available.
- Locations: Crystal Lake, Palatine and St. Charles
- Address: 3209 S. Route 31, Crystal Lake, IL 60012
- Phone: (815) 459-0660
- Hours: Mon & Wed - Fri: 9am - 6pm; Tue: 12 - 6pm; Sat: 9am - 4pm; Sun: 10am - 4pm
- Website: arvidsons.com
Russo’s offers a free test soak so you know how a tub performs before making a purchase. Russo’s also offers a variety of customization options, including lights and water features.
- Locations: Northlake, Wheaton, Bloomington and Elmhurst
- Address: 223 E. North Ave., Northlake, IL 60164
- Phone: (708) 344-1166
- Hours: Mon - Fri: 9am - 8pm; Sat - Sun: 9am - 5pm
- Website: russospoolandspa.com
Aqua Living stores are factory outlets that offer financing to people with all types of credit history. Aqua Living also sells spa covers and accessories, and the company has a service department for hot tub maintenance.
- Locations: Schaumburg
- Address: 537 Morse Ave., Schaumburg, IL 60193
- Phone: (224) 265-0250
- Hours: Mon - Fri: 9am - 6pm; Sat: 10am - 5pm; Sun: 11am - 5pm
- Website: aqualivingstores.com
North Shore Pool & Spa collaborates with Creative Concrete and Wingren Landscape for specialized hot tub and spa installation services. Customers can schedule service appointments and make payments online.
- Locations: Chicago, Park Ridge, Glenview, Northbrook, Wilmette, Elmhurst, Highland Park, Rodgers Park, Glencoe, Morton Grove, Winnetka and surrounding areas
- Address: 1849 Shermer Road, Northbrook, IL 60062
- Phone: (847) 564-4910
- Hours: Mon - Fri: 7am - 5pm; Sat: 9am - 1pm
- Website: northshorepool.com
J&D is an outlet store with a small-business mindset. The retailer has Spanish- and Polish-speaking representatives. J&D Whirlpool offers products from manufacturers including Kohler, Danze, Barclay, Neptune and California Faucets.
- Locations: Chicago
- Address: 2730 N. Elston Ave., Chicago, IL 60647
- Phone: 773-252-6886
- Hours: Mon - Fri: 9am - 5pm, Sat: By appointment
- Website: jdwhirlpool.com
America’s Steam, Sauna and Spas offers a curated selection of smaller brands. The company sells and installs hot tubs and spas, and it also services and repairs existing units.
- Locations: Chicago
- Address: 2831 W. Rascher Ave., Chicago IL 60625
- Phone: (773) 728-7246
- Hours: Mon - Fri: 8am - 4pm
- Website: americansteamrepair.com
American Sale stocks popular hot tub and spa brands in addition to hot tub accessories. The company provides same-day estimates on the cost of a new unit or service to your current unit. It offers financing to qualified buyers.
- Locations: Lansing, Bridgeview, Merrillville, Orland Park, Tinley Park, Naperville, Romeoville, Carol Stream and Lake Zurich
- Address: 8405 W. 185th St., Tinley Park, IL 60487
- Phone: (708) 633-7283
- Hours: Mon - Sat: 10am - 6pm; Sun: 11am - 5pm
- Website: americansale.com
Aqua Pools offers customers the ability to take a test soak. The company frequently offers discounts on floor models and in-stock units. It sells a variety of spa accessories, and its employees work to build a custom space around the spa if the customer desires. Aqua Pools also performs service and maintenance.
- Locations: Homer Glen and Worth
- Address: 13445 W. 159th St., Homer Glen, IL 60491
- Phone: (708) 301-9400
- Hours: Mon - Fri: 9am - 7pm; Sat: 9am - 5pm; Sun: 9am - 3pm
- Website: aquapoolsonline.com
Chicago Swim Spas offers service and maintenance on all brands of swim spas, not just those sold by the company. Parent company Hot Tub Tony’s offers financing and online bill pay. Hot Tub Tony’s also sells a variety of accessories and supplies to keep your spa clean and working correctly.
- Locations: Chicago and surrounding areas
- Address: 2526 Keslinger Road, Geneva, IL 60134
- Phone: (630) 262-8827
- Hours: Mon - Fri: 9am - 5:30pm; Sat: 9am - 3pm; Sun: 11am - 2pm
- Website: chicagoswimspas.com
Halogen provides shipping across the U.S. and Canada. In addition to retail supplies, Halogen offers products for business owners who have pools and spas used by the public or guests.
- Locations: Serves Chicago customers
- Address: 4653 W. Lawrence Ave., Chicago, IL 60630
- Phone: (773) 286-6300
- Hours: Mon - Fri: 8am - 5pm; Sat: 8am - 12pm
- Website: halogensupply.com