Looking for a hot tub company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.35/5

31 Sundance Spas Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I have a Sundance Altamar purchased in Mundelein, IL in fall of 1998. It's on its third cover now, twenty years later and going strong. Because it is outside, it now gets redwood preservative reapplication as part of the annual service, along with being drained and cleaned. In twenty years I've averaged a service call every 4 or so years for things like Flow valve and once for the circulation pump. No other issues of note. I did replace the pillows and jets at 15 years and the spa was basically new again. I'm disappointed at the unfavorable reviews since Jacuzzi acquired Sundance. Sometimes the accountants do more damage than good.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I bought my 2002 Sundance Altamar spa used in 2008. My reason for purchasing it was I needed something for my physical issues and the price of a used spa fit within my budget. I will tell you I was not disappointed with my purchase and the local technicians at Spas Plus in Lincoln, Nebraska were there to repair, advise, supply me if needed for 10 years thus far. Due to the quality of my Sundance spa and the excellent service I received I am buying a brand new Sundance Hamilton spa this week. I tell you that my wife and are super excited and I know the team at Spas Plus will be there in our time of need, if and when it should arise for service, supplies, or just advice.

Get expert buying tips about Hot Tubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 2, 2018

We purchased an "Optima" spa from the local Sundance dealer in 2003. We never had anything wrong with it -- just had to replace a few pillows and add the right chemicals. Now that it is 15, there are some problems with the heat and the outside of the wood case is getting old looking. So we have just purchased a new "Optima" and are eager to get it! I recommend this brand.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I purchased my initial Sundance Claremont spa in 2017 for medicinal purpose. I purchased a refurbished hot tub unknowingly. That was the first issue. After a few months the hot tub leaked and after many trips to repair the leaks the dealership replaced the hot tub with a Kingston model. I have had the second hot tub to start leaking only after several months. Again, there was a promise to replace the unpaired leaks. I have been dealing with a nonfunctional piece of equipment since November of 2018 only to not get very far with the dealership. After dealing with the dealerships runaround I have decided to request a refund and forget doing business with Outback. So disappointing.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I have owned a Sundance Capri for 18 years, a wonderful hot tub. Never had any problems with the water. The new Peyton 680 was a bad mistake. I have had it for 1 1/2 months and am constantly fighting slimy scum. The filter is way too small and can't keep the tub clean. When circulating only half the tub circulates, and that half only has high speed jets. During the 8 hours a day the system has to run, only half the tub get circulated. After a week the water is so scummy you can't even use it. Do not waste your money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sundance Spas?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Don’t buy Sundance Hot tubs. I have a tub that is only 3 years old. I paid almost $9,000 for the unit. I was moving the tub and noticed that the lower wood frame had drastic wood rot. The tub was sitting on a brick paved patio and was never sitting in standing water. Being an engineer, I was disappointed to see that the base frame was fabricated from lumber that was not treated like most wood bases exposed to any level of moisture. When I called their customer service, they blamed the moisture associated with Florida. They also informed me that most of the components have a 5 year warranty, but the wood frame is only two years. Based on the level of dry rot, it’s obvious that this rot has been happening for quite some time. Bottom line, they will not stand behind their tub. If you have recently purchased a tub, you may want to remove the side panels and inspect for this same problem.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

We purchased a Sundance Optima Spa in 2016 for $10,000 and placed into service in the fall of 2017. We have had significant issues with the spa during the cold winter months, which is of course, when we prefer to use it. In early 2018 the spa cover became warped and heat was constantly leaving the spa to the point we had 2 foot icicles having all around the spa and our electric bill was triple the normal bill because the Sundance Spa heater was constantly running. The dealer, Performance Pool and Spa in Oakdale Minnesota replaced the top, but while we waited for a replacement we had to keep large concrete blocks on the cover to keep the heat from escaping.

Now we are a year later and the air bubbler is stuck on. We were out of town for five days, the air bubbler was running and air got into the cover which caused it to float and the heat escaped leaving icicles hanging from the spa again and the heater constantly running. The only way to shut off the air bubbler was to turn off the fuse and turn the spa back on. The dealer today told me that is a known issue with the Optima spa and they need to do a firmware upgrade to fix the issue of the bubblers system. In the meantime I can't turn off the spa, the heater is constantly running, water is evaporating and it's 9 degrees Fahrenheit. If you live in a cold climate this is not the spa for you. it is clearly made for warm weather climates. Not once did we receive any notice a firmware upgrade requirement by Sundance or the dealer, which is just unacceptable.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

2018 Sundance Chelsee Spa - We purchased this spa less than 3 months ago, and already have had many issues with it, and have also noticed the lack of quality... Not worth $10,000.00. Won't hold the temperature and it's not even the cold months yet. Foot jets keep coming out, buttons are hard to push, had a panel replaced already from it looking faded, headrests get dirty fast, and it appears they'll look torn up before long, also basing that on previous reviews, we've had technician there twice for 2 different leaking valves, and the turn around time to get a technician is over 2 weeks. Wish it wasn't too late to return, not happy at all.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

980 Series Claremont Spa won't heat water in the winter unless the top is on and will lose heat slowly when the top is off. If outside temperature is below 60 degrees outside then it gets real frustrating. Even in the summer you have to set desired temp hours before entering water. Spa works as designed according to a conversation with their tech. I have a lot of experience with many different spas and heating has never been a problem. There is something wrong. Everything else works fine but heat is why I bought a hot tub. Seems other people are having similar heating issues starting late 2016 to present. Sundance needs to make this right.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

We are on our 3rd Sundance Optima Spa. Our first spa purchased in 1997 last 16 years. Our second spa was flawed with quality control issues in the fiberglass and inside tub handles were crooked 2011. Finally after much arguing with Jacuzzi who bought out the Sundance name we received a replacement tub. Issues were even worse but this time the waterfall lights went out in less than a year 2013. The headrests are all falling apart. The heater does not heat during the cold months and they have no resolution for that issue. The blb message is constantly on even after replacing the bulb. The water is always a tinge of green (never had any of these problems with our original Sundance). The FLO comes on several times a week (new filters did not help). Basically I believe that once Jacuzzi took over the manufacture of the Sundance Spa the quality has gone downhill significantly. And service is a joke.

Original review: July 1, 2017

Reason for my review is positive. I am the original owner of a 1987 Sundance 5-seat electric heated spa. During its lifetime I replaced the filter a few times and the electric heater "element" twice. I replaced the cover twice and the pillows once. After about year 25 it started to leak under the skirt siding. The leak was minimal until this year... which is July 1, 2017. I am not one to take the skirting apart to look for the leak. Besides the inside shell has hairline cracks here and there. But hey; 30 years of service is fantastic to me. I have NO idea how they are made today, but... I really felt lucky, as I did my own maintenance by the guessing method. I will admit, it was always drained and cleaned during a few winter months, and used mainly in summer.

Original review: June 14, 2017

No one able to fix it. Have replaced filter, circulation pump, computer board, all 3 sensors. Lines are clear, no air lock. Will heat okay but when jets motor on and heater images it shuts off and code Flo and sometimes oh. Heats ok by itself and jets run myself but heater on and run a jet and shuts off in couple minutes. Two techs have never seen this before.

Original review: May 13, 2017

Very disappointed in our new spa. I don't believe the temperature is accurate and the spa has a hard time holding its temperature. If it can't stay warm in May then imagine how fast it will cool in the winter. And we supposedly have the special wrap to hold in heat. I'd do more research before I buy another Sundance. (I was much happier with our older model.) I just assumed the newer one would be better than a 15 year old one... I was very wrong.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2017

I ordered a spa cover in June 2016 and it is now February 2017 and I have been told that I have to wait a further 8-10 weeks (so until the end of April 2017), to receive it. Not the most efficient service provider you could wish for especially when I have had to made contact several times during this period to follow up and payment for the cover was made back in September.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2016

My wife and I suffer from aches and pains to the body. This helps relax us and helps with the pain. The kids even enjoy it. The power of the jets are great. I would recommend one.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2016

Leisure Bay always kept my hot tub at 103 deg - no matter what. Sundance cannot keep at 103 deg. May start off 103 but drops to 101 after 20 min use. Leisure Bay had built in SS bar to assist entry/exit. Sundance has none. Leisure Bay had built in cup holders, Sundance has none big enough. Leisure Bay controls back lit for nighttime use. Sundance controls difficult to use and not back lit for nighttime use. Had my Leisure Bay for 10 years at a cost of $6,500, Sundance replacement $9,600 - nowhere near the quality.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2016

Sundance spas really added a great look to our guest room and a huge added value to the property, both in resale value and appeal for our Airbnb guests. Easy to maintain, super durable materials, and year round usefulness.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2016

Overall it has lasted a long time with only minimal repairs. At about the ten year mark I had to replace a temperature gauge, and have gone through a few lids, but my tub has remained strong and is still in excellent condition.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2016

Great purchase for the quality and appearance of the hot tub. Would buy again. Was durable, easy to maintain and performed very well. The appearance and feel of the hot tub was very stylish and modern. I would buy from this company again in an instant.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2016

I absolutely love the hot tub. The tub is so amazing, me & my husband love it! I will definitely be recommending this tub to some of my friends. The temperature is also very great. You can change it so it's not too hot for the kiddos. I also love the one of the tub itself, it's amazing. The hubby loves that we can get off from work and come home to a relaxing tub.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

Love it so very much. It's amazing. It was easy to have set up. Works perfect quickly and is everything I could wish for in a hot tub. Can't get any better than meeting all of my possible needs. Especially after a hard day it's awesome to just kick back and relax in it and all the tension in my body just disappear.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2015

I went to Sundance Spas in the summer of 2015 and purchased a hot tub for myself as a birthday present since I was born in July. The Sundance staff was very professional and courteous in helping me select the perfect hot tub for my home. I use my hot tub several times per week and am very happy with it. It's great for entertaining guest.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2015

The hot tub was great. And I was very pleased with my purchase. We use it regularly. I would not have chosen any different had I the chance to change.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2015

After a hard day at work or at play coming home and relaxing in the hot tub is relaxing, invigorating and rejuvenating! I cannot imagine life without it!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2015

It's an incredible hot tub. I usually soak in it for at least 20 minutes and I get my money's worth every time. It looks and works fantastic! I've had it for a while now and it's been through some moves and it still works like when I had bought it.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2015

The experience the salesperson was not great but the Hot tub itself we are happy with. The only issue is that we needed a new pump after a few years and we did not use it very often. The pump was over 500.00...

Original review: Dec. 14, 2015

I bought one for medical reasons. I have a bad back and hips. The tub is a fantastic aid to help with pain relief and also helps me to sleep better. I recommend anyone with pain issues to get one.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2015

Not great in appearance, but it works fine and gets the job done. No complaints, but I'm not crazy about it. It was fairly expensive for what it's worth.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2015

This is the best company to buy a hot tub from. The sales people are courteous and know the customer is their top priority. I would highly recommend the experienced staff!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2015

Our hot tub was easy to install and has given us 3 years of great service. It keeps a constant temperature and we have been very pleased with its performance to date.

Sundance Spas expert review by Kate Williams, Ph.D.

Founded in 1979 in Costa Mesa, CA, this company now has 750 retail locations in the United States. In addition, the company can be found in more than 60 countries through its International Dealer Network.

• Hydrotherapy spa: Sundance has a spa specifically for therapy. The Hydrotherapy Spa combines heat, buoyancy and jet massage to relieve pain form arthritis and other health conditions.

• Free quote: Use the web form to provide some details, and Sundance will contact consumers with a free quote.

• SunSmart control system: The SunSmart™ WiFi Cloud Control System allows owners to access spa controls from anywhere with a Wi-Fi connection.

• Owner resources: The Sundance owner portal gives easy access to owner's manuals, warranty information, troubleshooting guides and parts.

• CLEARARRAY: Sundance's CLEARRAY Water Purification System uses UV-C-based technology and neutralizes 99.9 percent of waterborne pathogens. The system is standard on all Sundance spas.

• Best for: Consumers needing therapy, consumers wanting relaxation and consumers wanting family time.

Profile picture of Kate Williams, Ph.D.
Kate Williams, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kate Williams, Ph.D. believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase. She spends countless hours researching companies and industries before writing buyers guides to make sure consumers have all the information they need to make smart, informed buying decisions.

Sundance Spas Company Information