Best Online Dating Sites and Services
If you’re new to online dating, you aren’t alone. Around 49 million singles have tried online dating at some point in their lives. With an estimated 7,500 online dating sites in existence, it can be hard to determine which site is the best for helping you find love. Think about what you’re looking for in a relationship, whether you just want to meet some fun people or you’re looking to settle down, to narrow down your choices and pick a dating site that can help you with your goals. Spend some time on your dating profile to make sure you’re getting accurate matches. If you want a more personal approach to finding matches than online dating provides, consider enlisting the help of a professional matchmaker.
Compare Top Online Dating Sites and Services
Read 2985 Reviews
Match.com is one of the biggest dating services in the world. It launched in 1995 and is now available in 24 different countries. Members set up a profile, upload photos and can then search through profiles to find a good match.
Read 535 Reviews
POF.com, also known as PlentyOfFish, is an online dating site headquartered in Vancouver. It is one of the biggest dating sites with over 90 million registered users across the globe. It is also available in 5 different languages.
Read 501 Reviews
Zoosk is a singles dating app that uses a behavioral matchmaking engine to pair users who its system indicates will be a good match. The app is available in over 80 countries and has over 27 million searchable members.
Read 427 Reviews
OurTime.com is a unique dating site specifically catered to people over 50. The company focuses on the interests of people in a certain age range who want a place to feel confident and comfortable while seeking a potential date.
|Bumble||Read 103 Reviews|
Bumble is a dating app that only allows women to initiate contact in opposite-sex connections; in same-sex connections either party may initiate contact. It’s available for Apple and Android devices.
Read 250 Reviews
OKCupid is one of the most popular dating sites and is free to sign up initially. It works with special algorithms that match users with potential dates. Launched in 2004, OKCupid works with many populations of people.
Read 2189 Reviews
EHarmony began in Santa Monica in 2000. It uses a compatibility matching system to link up people with complementary personalities and lifestyles and has worked with millions of users over the past 15 years.
Read 88 Reviews
Since 2012, Tinder has been matching singles based on their social profiles and geographic location. The catch? Both users must “swipe right” before being matched and are then able to chat within the app.
Read 103 Reviews
Mingle2 is a membership service of which users pay to be a part. It was originally a service called JustSayHi, but the site transitioned to Mingle2 in 2008 and now works with many populations of singles.
|My Social Calendar|
Read 35 Reviews
My Social Calendar connects people with similar social interests by planning fun events for socializing. Locations include Washington D.C., Philadelphia, Detroit, New York City, Boston, South Florida, Charlotte and Los Angeles.
Common online dating questions
- How much does online dating cost?
It is important to decide how much you can afford to pay before committing to a site.
- Total cost: An online dating site might be free or have different payment levels. If there are different levels of membership and payment, check to see which features are included in each level and which features you find essential.
- Frequency of payments: The membership price might be a yearly, monthly or quarterly amount. Many mobile dating apps will let you pay by the action instead of by a set amount of time.
- Canceling the plan: It is important to read the fine print and to find out how easy or difficult it is to cancel a subscription. Getting trapped in an online dating website that isn’t producing viable dates can be frustrating.
- What is the matching process?
Online dating websites offer a variety of methods on how to search for a mate. Some mobile apps will match you with people based on criteria, including age, gender and geographic proximity. More traditional sites may offer anything from a simple search to a highly specific advanced search. Some more seriously minded sites request that members fill out elaborate compatibility questionnaires. Deciding which process is right for you will largely be determined by whether you’re looking for a casual friendship, relationship or a lifelong partner.
- Geographic matches: Most dating sites offer a chance to look for the closest possible match. However, if you are currently looking to meet someone in close proximity, many of the mobile dating apps will provide you with your best results with little to no cost.
- User-generated matches: Unless you are using a site specifically meant for a casual or very serious relationship, it has become an industry standard to offer members the chance to whittle down their potential matches. Dating sites do this based on preferences such as income, smoking and drinking, if the match has kids and whether he or she has ever been married.
- In-depth compatibility: There are some dating sites that ask members to fill out detailed questionnaires designed to choose matches based on compatibility. eHarmony and Match.com are two famous examples of this type of dating site.
- Is the dating site niche?
If you have a very specific set of interests, there are many sites that may cater to your niche. Some of these niche sites are Farmersonly.com, MillionaireMatch.com, Geek2Geek.com, JDate, Dandy, Pinksofa.com, ChristianMingle and PositiveSingles.
- Demographic niches: These sites can cater to people who are only interested in dating within a specific religion, income level, race and more.
- Lifestyle niches: These sites focus on daters looking for matches based on attractiveness level, occupation, same-sex relationships, people that are STD positive and more.
- Age-based niches: These sites are for people of a specific age. Baby boomers are overwhelmingly turning to the web to find a mate. Sites like Match.com and POF.com offer members a chance to search specifically for the age group that interests you, but SeniorPeopleMeet.com and OurTime.com are the two largest sites designed specifically for the baby boomer market.
- What are the privacy safeguards?
Depending on the dating site, all other members might be able to see your profile and message you. Check to see what safeguards are put in place by the site, and which ones you can enable to limit who sees your profile.
- Limiting who sees your profile: Does the site allow just the bare minimum of your profile to be seen in search results? Some sites wait until you favorite, wink, or in some way OK a member before they can see your whole profile. That said, it is important that you only share information in your profile that you are okay with a stranger being able to see.
- Keeping the search results wide open: If your goal is to meet someone in the immediate future for a casual drink or get together, the best option would be mobile dating apps like Tinder, JSwipe and many others. These apps allow you to quickly find similarly minded people. On most dating sites, you can use a sort feature to see which members are currently online right now and available to talk.
- Is the dating process safe?
Most dating sites have become extremely good about policing their members for negative or unsafe behavior. There are several sites that offer additional levels of security including background checks and photo verification.
- Social verification: Many sites employ a method known as social verification to help prevent wrongdoers from gaining access to you. This goes above and beyond just asking for your email. Many sites now ask you to verify your identity through your Facebook or Google login. This, combined with highly trained scammer prevention teams, has made online dating safer than it has ever been.
- Photo verification: Several sites now offer members a chance to prove their identity by sending additional material. This includes emailing a photo of the member, holding a piece of paper, with a set of numbers that has been randomly generated by the site. Other members do not see this, but it allows the site's staff to confirm their identity.
- Safe from hackers: Check to make sure the site has employed technology so your vital information is safe. If it is a paid site, make sure it is a secure site before entering your credit card information.
- What are the main features?
The features of the dating site should be the features you want and will use, especially if it is a paid site. These features could include private emails, proximity search, chat rooms and more.
- Features to help refine search results: Look to see which features will help whittle down the pool of suitors. These are keyword searches, mutual matching, reverse matching, the ability to save and favorite certain profiles and more.
- Mobile applications: Most dating sites now offer a mobile version that can be downloaded through the Apple or Android stores. When considering a site, it is best to also test their mobile app to see if it can help streamline your dating experience. Additionally, there are several dating apps that only exist in the mobile format. Before downloading, it is best to check for recent reviews on their download pages.
- Communicating with members: Dating sites and apps allow you to communicate in several ways ranging from "winking at someone" to setting up a video chat with a prospective date. Research which methods are available on a site and make sure they fit with your needs.
- Outside events: An online dating site might set up outside events such as mixers or speed dating to pair members. There might be an extra charge to attend these events, or it might be included within the price of the membership.
Types of online dating sites
Traditional dating sites
These sites have the broadest appeal and generally the largest membership bases. They tend to attract a wide variety of members with personal goals that range from a casual fling to a serious lifelong relationship. Some of these sites include Match.com, OKCupid and POF.com.
These dating sites are geared towards people looking to meet up with someone for drinks as friends, or more spur-of-the-moment dates. Some of these sites include HowAboutWe, Tinder and Badoo.
Marriage or long-term relationship
These are the dating sites that delve into compatibility and really try to find a love match for their members. eHarmony and ChristianMingle.com are two leaders in this category.
Focusing on a narrow pool of candidates, these online dating sites help match people up with someone of a similar religion, profession, or sexual orientation. Examples within this category include Jdate for Jewish singles, Geek2Geek and Farmersonly for farmers and the people who want to meet them.
Online dating site reviews
Match.com is one of the biggest and best-known online dating sites in the United States. It has been helping singles find partners since 1995, it now serves people in over 24 countries with sites in 15 different languages.
OKCupid.com is a free site that offers members the ability to upgrade their experience by subscribing to a premium membership. Created in 2004, the site serves millions of members through a unique profile format and optional question and answer section.
eHarmony is the largest dating site geared specifically towards long-term relationships and marriage minded singles. They claim to be responsible for over 500 new marriages every day in the US.
POF.com, also know as Plenty of Fish, is the largest completely free online dating site.
PositiveSingles is the leading online dating site for singles who have tested positive for a sexually transmitted disease. Along with its dating component, PositiveSingles is an active support group and educational resource for its members.
OurTime is the largest dating site created specifically for the baby boomer market.
Tinder is a mobile dating app that can be downloaded and used for free. It is currently the largest and most popular dating app online with over 50 million downloads. It is best known for its extremely popular swiping feature.
Founded in February 2015, The Heart Market is an online matchmaking service that helps users find prospective partners. Their primary platform is hosted on the web, but access to the site is also available on mobile and tablet devices. They strive to make their online dating site as safe as possible by carrying out background checks on all applicants.
- Profile assistance: If needed, they will write a member's biography using the previously provided profile information.
- Background checks: They carry out background checks on all applicants, so that members have a baseline piece of mind in knowing that potential suitors are not undesirable.
- Introduction videos: Members are required to make an introductory video that is up to thirty seconds long, so that other members get a more interactive and engaging feel for who they are.
- Matchmaking experience: The founder of the company, Misty Hatala-Lebowitz, has many years experience as a matchmaker, so she understands how best to help members find prospective partners.
- Monthly matches: Every month, members receive at least one compatible suitor from their matchmaker on the platform.
- Best for: Single people looking to date, single people looking for a selective online dating community and single people looking for love.
Compare Top Online Dating Sites and Services
Read 26 Reviews
This Christian dating site focuses on matches single men and women who share the same faith and beliefs. The site features personalized profiles and advanced communication tools to help members form meaningful connections.
Read 61 Reviews
Cupid.com is a dating site that allows members to search its site to find potential partners who share their same spiritual needs and desires. It encourages users to choose people to date rather than be matched with them.
Read 138 Reviews
FirstMet, formerly known as AYI, is an online dating service that can be accessed through a mobile or Facebook app and on the web. The free platform allows users to connect with new people based on mutual friends and interests.
Read 9 Reviews
Meetic was founded in 2001 and is one of the most prominent online dating communities in Europe. It's free to create a profile and browse through the site's tens of millions of users to search for potential dates.
Read 219 Reviews
Chemistry, a dating site that is part of Match.com, is designed for people who are seeking help in getting to know someone online before meeting them for the first time. It has over 8 million users on its online database.
PositiveSingles was created with one purpose; to have a safe website where people living with STD’s could find friends, a relationship and a community. The site offers information, support forums, dating advisors and more.
|The Heart Market||Read Expert Review|
The Heart Market is an online matchmaking community that promotes safe online dating by ensuring all applicants have a background check. They offer members profile assistance and find them at least one monthly match.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.