OurTime

Compare Online Dating Websites & Services

Research top Online Dating Websites & Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

For two years in a row (even though I cancelled after this happened last year) Our Time has renewed my account to the tune of about $85.00 - with no notice that it was going to happen. Although they inundate you with their so-called matches, they can't send an email that they're going to take money out of your account! I used an expletive with the idiot customer service person. I never do that. Don't join their matches - ugh.

If you want to date the dregs of society, this is the online dating site for you! Fortunately I only signed up for one month. I wish I can get my money back. Most of the men on this site are substandard, high school or technical school education, live in trailers, ride Harleys, wear cheap gold chains, white beater shirts... you get the idea. Occasionally you get someone decent but they are one in a million and you're probably not compatible with them. Don't waste your money on this junk online dating site.

I have had 4 scammers since I have been enrolled only about 2 weeks. I was told I could report a concern by clicking on the concern icon on every profile but there is nowhere on any profile to report it. I have sent 3 emails telling them of the problem but absolutely no response. For the last 8 hrs or more I have been unable to use the site accurately because one person's profile is like frozen on top of the main screen and I cannot get it removed. Therefore I can only see half of my messages and can only write and even see just a little of what I write on the screen. I have tried and tried to contact someone but there is no one to contact. When you do what they tell you there is no one to tell you how to navigate on this site.

Had I known about all these negative reviews I never would have joined. I have met some nice gentlemen but am afraid to give out my other email because this site is hacked way too much and it is easy to recognize it but no one cares. 101 fusion is completely free and a wonderful site. I should have stuck with that one. Now I have to try and make sure they don't double charge me.

I've been on OurTime since August. The service from OurTime and People Media the parent company is horrible. No less than 4 times in 3 months they shut my account off because "it appears to be compromised". They don't me tell that they are doing it. I find out when I try to log in. You get a message to reactivate your account. When you try to do that you get a message to call. When you call them you get a call center that appears to be in the Philippines. They are hard to understand and take excruciatingly long to resolve anything.

The last time they did this was over New Years. I had been conversing with a couple of people. Thanks to People Media's absolute incompetence that is no longer the case. I called them today, talked with a guy who couldn't understand me and I couldn't understand him. He told me to just go online and open a new account. I told him to just carry over the info over to a new account. This is their problem. He told me he reactivated my account but he didn't so I have to start all over. These guys are idiots and be prepared for terrible service.

I had my account set up at my old work email address which was ** and I no longer work there. I paid for six months and was able to get into my account from my personal email address which is **. Now when I do log on, it is asking me to join again. What I am asking is if you could update this and put my personal email address as my main, and give me the access.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OurTime.com?

The smartest way to deal with OurTime dot com is to use a virtual credit card number. You can set the maximum charge amount and also stop them from setting your account to automatically renew. At the very bottom of their newly-revised "contract" is this:

"You, the buyer, may cancel this agreement, without penalty or obligation, at any time prior to midnight of the original contract seller's third business day following the original date of this contract, excluding Sundays and holidays. To cancel this agreement, mail or deliver a signed and dated notice which states that you, the buyer, are canceling this agreement, or words of similar effect. This notice shall be sent to: People Media Inc, Attn: Cancellations, P.O. Box 12627, Dallas, TX 75225, USA. Please include your OurTime.com username and email address in any correspondence or your refund may be delayed. If you cancel, People Media Inc will return, within ten days of the date on which you give notice of cancellation, any payments you have made. If you send or deliver the notice to cancel your subscription agreement within such three day period, we will refund the full amount of your subscription."

I sent a registered letter to them before the end of the "buyers' remorse" period but they are still saying I am ineligible for a refund. Stay away... This site sucks. They will arbitrarily edit your profile, delete your content and pictures but also allow members to have a blank profile with questionable pictures. Match.com should be ashamed to offer such a sleazy site.

I joined December 26th and before I could proceed (view matches) I had to joining, I elected to try for 1 month at a total of $33.95. I deleted the account December 28 as it wasn't what I was hoping for. I called the number listed asking to be prorated and they refused so I am out of the monies. Plus the majority of so called matches were not nothing in common just reading the profiles. Hate this site.

I signed up because I saw several women from my area in the intro list. I was pleased to see that OurTime wanted to know my preferences: female, nonsmoking, age 50-65, within 50 miles. OurTime gives an updated list of 11 people who are supposed to your preferences. They were at least all female (except the 2 guys who "favorited" me???). It was not unusual to find a smoker on the list, they were aged anywhere from 41 to 76, and were from up to 200 miles away. I guess so they could always list 11 people. I do not recommend OurTime as an online dating site.

Stay away from this site. They suck. No Customer Service. Very restrictive hours of communication. Ask for a refund. If they refuse go to your credit card company and dispute, and report fraud. Your account is hacked very quickly.

Last night I joined Our Time for $111, and I sent one message. I immediately knew this was the wrong thing for me. I don't want to date. I have a guy I see already. So as soon as I could, this morning called early.. I can not get my money back. As I see others have had this problem also. If I had bought something anywhere, could have gotten a refund. I am terribly disappointed in not only your site but also your service.

Joined end of November, 4-5 days into, account could not be accessed, customer NO-service suspected HACKING, reset my account and I used for another few days before it happened AGAIN. Customer NO-service said it was experiencing HACKING problems, to open another account with new info! If they're that vulnerable, WHY would I want another account? Requested a refund, prorated if they wanted to do that... I was denied, again said I should open another account. Asked to speak to supervisor, was told he was "busy" with something else. I signed up 11/22/16, my account unavailable majority of time until today 12/5/16. This is unacceptable business practice, then to DENY a refund! DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE, in my opinion the worst case of fraudulent business behavior and NO customer service once you've paid for it!

Cancellation policy - Join one day and canceled within 24 hours and they still charged my account. Then sent a message with a link to a cancellation site for OurTime. Did that, paid another fee, they charged my account, did nothing and only said that Our Time could not refund my fee. They said I had the account open too long, it was less than 24 hours. Total sham.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I have to update my previous review. The site had charged 111 dollars US to my PayPal act (3 months) when I thought I was just renewing for a month. There was no button to confirm what I was actually purchasing. I did succeed in contacting them (Peoplemedia, for those interested) by phone. The wait time was short and the agent was polite. He agreed to refund me 2 of the 3 months however he refused to refund the amount in full because I had sent one message. I replied that I'd just sent the message to a contact advising her that I was leaving the side, and had only used it for about a minute. I threatened to pursue them through PayPal.

At this point, there was a brief delay while the agent checked with a supervisor, and he got back to tell me that my money would be returned in full. This experience was OK, but I still would not recommend the dating site. I believe their main focus is NOT providing a service for lonely people, which should be something nice, but instead, the site is designed in such a way as to gouge the maximum amount of money out of you. BEWARE. But at least they will give you a refund if you pursue them.

Chris of Castlegar, BC on

Original Review

I had discontinued service. They sent me a message about someone contacting me and offered renewal. I renewed, thinking it was just for a month. $30... Immediately, without any confirmation button of what I was buying, they debited $111 US from my account. It's the weekend and I can't contact them. I think I may be able to resolve it but it's a pain in the neck. My experience with these guys is that their main motivation is to gouge money out of you rather than provide a good service, preying on lonely people. Find another dating site! Avoid these guys.

Have not even seen the "free browsing" which is all I was interested in--to see what kind of people were on it. I set up an account and it would not let me upload a photo. It stopped there and didn't even ask me to join up or give a payment (which I was not planning to do anyway). Thank God I checked ratings and feedback on this GREAT Consumer Affairs site. Wow, www.OurTime.com is a giant scam obviously. I need to quickly delete my account in case they use it for advertising or try to bill me for something. Yikes!

I became a member on OurTime 11/12/16 for one month. When I looked at my bank statement they had charged my first 3 months. When I called the girl said it was my fault because I probably don't hit the 1 month button. So they would not refund my money. When I joined I did so because it said 50% off. Price was 14.98. I got charged 34.49 plus 3.99 plus 15.99. She that was the correct charge and would not refund my money. Very bad site. DO NOT JOIN.

This site continues to have problems--and yet I've been told on several occasions that they are working to improve the site. I requested a membership at one level and they up the level (without my consent) and charged me the higher fee. Emails from them indicated I had selected the higher level, and they could not make adjustments. However they have told me that they will refund my fee in total (especially after I told them that this constitutes "Bait & Switch" and is highly illegal).

About a year ago I tried them and had to cancel because their site was constantly kicking me offline or freezing up. This issue seems to be improved "somewhat." Assuming that they refund my fees without problems--I've found OurTime to be reasonable about refunds as long as you contact them within 24 hours of your "sign up." Their site leaves a lot to be desired. I notice that I'm NOT the only one who has experienced this "accidental" unauthorized level and fee increase... As Usual--"BUYER BEWARE!!!!"

I joined last week and had to contact company as they put the one month subscription through as several months instead of just one. I was very hesitant to join but thought it time to try to find a friend or companion to do things with. I started getting flirts and emails right away but noticed that they all wanted my email address immediately before even trying to contact me through the site. The pictures of the gentlemen were nice and seemed professionally done but it was the wording in the messages that showed me that they were not writing the way they should have been. The same wording was used and they explained that their subscription was up and they couldn't renew so they wanted me to email them so "we could get to know together better"!

I am an editor by profession and a detective by nature so the red flags went up. I blocked and reported each and every one and immediately the message came on the screen saying that they were no longer available to receive emails! I also wrote "SCAMMER" in my response. This is so sad. Innocent senior folks are being taken advantage of this way. I hate to lose the $26.00 but will cancel my subscription immediately as I doubt that there is anyone on this site for me. I was on a different site three years ago and found that guys just want to "look" and not act... Seems a waste of money to me.

This is a scam!! They have taken money out of my account without permission. I will be going to my bank and reporting fraud and speaking to an attorney about filing a class action suit. Having read reviews from others, I believe there is a case for this.

Luckily I only paid for one month. Company has a long disclaimer form and hard to see refund policy, but can point to the appropriate location to find the "no refund policy. Members are allowed to continue the use of the site through its full term." Why would anyone want to continue with fake pictures, men lying about their age? Daily connections offered by the company show the same men everyday which shows low participation on the dating site. OurTime is affiliated with Match.com and the same men show up on Our Time. Better quality of men are shown when one is ready to cancel subscription. I believe the company holds back the better quality of men before the membership expires to keep you as a subscriber. Not only is it the above two dating sites mentioned, but many others. Just realize "free membership" has a catch.

OurTime.com has automatic renewals on your subscription to their service and states they match you with appropriate subscribers. However, like many others who have reviewed them, they spike your inbox with profiles when your subscription is close to ending or cancelled as a ploy to get you to renew. If you don't pay, you cannot contact anyone on the site. Once I renewed, they started sending profiles of people not even remotely close to my profile preferences...not close to the city I live in and as much as 25 years younger than the age range I stated as my preference.

They also send profiles of other women on their site when my profile stated "female seeking male." In my opinion, they are a fraudulent enterprise because they are not filtering the profiles they send to fit/match your stated preferences as they advertised. I am not getting the advertised service I am paying for with my subscription. I also believe they do not have the number of subscribers they advertised as the same profiles are constantly recycled into your inbox despite your marking them as not a match.

As a newly divorced woman from a 33 year marriage, I was not looking for another lifetime mate but a friend, companion, or just someone to talk to. Girlfriends and family are great but sometimes you just want to be held or cuddled. Again not a sex partner just friend. Well as time went by I met several nice men, had some 1 and only dates, and some dated several times. When I had responses I didn't care for and blocked those were respected. And the 2 names I turned in were handled immediately.

After just 6 short months, I did meet and fall in love with my now husband. We will be celebrating our second anniversary next week. So very blessed! I have some dating tips I would like to share to keep you safe. I'm not sure how to get that information out there. Thank you Jesus for your guidance to our time so I could live out the rest of my life that you have planned. I do want to say that sometimes God allows things to happen because we weren't moving forward. Let your faith guide you to the love of your life. I'm certainly glad I did!

I joined OurTime.com a year ago. After a short period of time I realized that some of the "potentials" didn't actually exist and 2 of them insulted me. My prescription was for 60 days and on my account page I said NO to automatic renewal (I have a copy of this page which includes payment history). Since my subscription ended after 60 days I thought that was that. However, I found out that every 3 months OurTime was charging me 69.00 for renewal even though it clearly indicated I said 'no' to automatic renewal. The reason I missed them is because I shop at a store with a similar name. I believe they charge your account every 3 months in the hopes that you will overlook it. Reading the many, many complaints about OurTime has me wondering why they are still in business. I told OurTime at their site customer service that I wanted a full refund but of course never heard back.

On September 9 they put a note in my payment history that I requested to "end automatic payments" when it was before I even contacted them so they made that up. I did turn over all of the information I have including my account page and copies of 25 complaints to our local police internet fraud division. I made sure that they knew that there were no end to the complaints. They are going to investigate OurTime.com

Without authorization, they charged my credit card $98.84. I confirmed with them my account to be closed 6 months ago. It caused my credit card to overdraft. **, I can barely make ends meet and then they ruin my credit. DO NOT USE THIS SITE. TERRIBLE, not trustworthy. Never went on one date. They are idiots!!!

I signed up for one month for $14. They charged me $60 plus $3 plus $18. This is SCAM. Please they are trying to confuse you. They only left a button of upgrade to click in order to continue. After they said the charged will be automatic if you don't cancel it. Authorities should get into this and get the money back to all the customer like me that were scammed.

If you have ANY problems you will never at any time be able to get anything other than a recording saying that someone will call you back. Trust me, it never happens regardless of the amount of calls that you make. Your card that you use to join will be charged even when you have chosen not to renew. Again, trying to reach someone to talk to is literally impossible. I would never recommend this site to anyone!

After five years of staying away from the dating scene I decided to give this site a try. Big mistake!! Almost immediately after I joined the Gmail account that I created only for that site was overflowing with junk mail. Two days after joining my profile was hacked… It took me three hours to fix my profile and to send apology messages to people who “I” had insulted or had stood up for dates (across the United States). This site is filled with profiles that more or less state 'my best friend found a girlfriend on this site so he is letting me use his membership. If you leave your email address I will send you my photo and profile.' Beware--that is a scam. All in all my experience on this site has been nightmarish. Do not under any circumstance join this site… not even for the free one month trial period.

Funny - when I first joined this online dating service, I saw so many warnings of scammers trolling for victims. After 6 months, I have begun to question if OurTime is actually the real scammer. Read my observations and form your own opinion. I have learned that I am not in control of my profile unless my subscription is paid up. How do I know that? I chose to allow my subscription to lapse as of Friday; on Monday, I updated my profile stating that I cannot respond to any messages while in lapse and also replacing the personal content in the about me profile by sharing my observations. And within just a couple of hours, the updates to my written profile had been deleted and not deleted by me! Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

For three months, I chose a single month subscription. Without quantifying actual data, my perception was that the number of view I received seemed to spike dramatically as my renewal date approached. After three months, I allowed my subscription to lapse the single month renewal price was shockingly expensive - $37.99/month. So I elected to purchase a three month package.

And on that three-month package, the number of views I received dropped drastically compared to the number I received while on single month package. I now seemed to receive 5-8 views per day compared to the 15-20 daily views previous. And so many of those views were from individuals very far away (often 400+ miles away from me) and in extremely small cities, ex. Waterloo, Iowa; and those same individuals rarely had any pictures posted; their written profile was minimal (How many times have I read profiles of the social butterfly, profiles with appx. 30 words?). So I began sending messages to these individuals asking "are you a real person?"; I messaged well over 80 such individuals. 2 responded. And never mind the unauthorized charges to my credit card by their sister company, Match. Three unauthorized charges by Match/OurTime exceeding $100. Fortunately, these charges were rescinded after my dispute.

And this last week, the number of views I received spiked tremendously as the deadline to renew approached. The day after lapse, I received 83 views; the next day 75 views. How can this spike be explained? Why didn't I receive this number of views while my subscription was active. Am I now being heavily promoted hoping that will drive a view spike and entice me to renew? Questions, questions. And I should note that after replacing my profile with my observations, and after my updated profile being deleted/censored, the number of views I have received has plummeted just a couple since then. I guess I am no longer being promoted.

And a few more questions: why am I being viewed by so many people who are 10+ years above the age range I specified to be presented to? And by individuals outside my ethnic choices? And by individuals whose religious beliefs are incompatible with mine? And by individuals who I have blocked? And it appears that there is a limit to the number of individuals you can block. That limit seems to be in the range of 540. While that might sound excessive, I chose to block individuals who were not appropriately being filtered outside my age range, geographically distant, outside my ethnic choice, religious incompatibility, etc. I chose not to be viewed (or so I thought) by individuals I would not consider. And yet I am being viewed by individuals 18 years older than me! Yes something is rotten.

I've tried one of the other major dating sites in the past, but thought I'd try something different this time around. OurTime has been the worst experience ever!!! The majority of the profiles are fake so you don't feel comfortable corresponding with anyone. Most of the profile pics have been lifted from other social media site profiles and these people are unaware that their photos are being used. OurTime sends you fake messages saying that someone is interested in you in order to get you to join. You will receive matches that are nowhere close to what you say you're interested in. The profiles that are legit are of low quality and uneducated men that have a difficult time composing 2 sentences.

Summary - Many, many fake profiles, fake photos, matches that you would probably never date. Never give any personal information. Not even your real name, because you don't know who with whom you're speaking. This site is so bad that I had to delete my photos and profile after only 2.5 days. I absolutely couldn't take it. It's useless and a waste of money. I'm surprised they're still in business. Thank God I only signed up for 1 month. Run!!!

Site never worked from day 1 once I went to upload photos. Called them and they said 24 to 72 hours, to fix however there was no resolution. Received email stating they will rectify situation IF they can. Called them 4 times today and got hung up by them 3 times waiting for a supervisor and also Loren would not transfer me. The only way I can access this site, and I paid 93.99 for it, is if they send me an email that someone was interested and I clicked that link. Still when I went to upload photos, there comes the gray screen, a loading symbol but loading symbol never stopped and I could not utilize the site. I called my credit card company to cancel the transaction.

After nearly 1 year with OT, I prepared a summary of my experience. I stated that while there was some fun, my results were just frustrating. I said I would not be renewing. I twice added my cell # and within 24 twice my cell was removed. I then added my personal email and again this was removed overnight. Plus, my entire text profile was changed. It stated "I played football", I do not. I said "I want a woman who is ambitious". I want to file a BBB complaint but need additional information. Does anyone know an address beyond the ".com"? The site is at least disrespectful of right of senior who are trying to find and develop friendship.

Expert Review

Mark BrooksOnline Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.    More about Mark→

OurTime is the largest dating site created specifically for the baby boomer market.

• 50+: Unlike most dating sites which are aimed at the 18-35 year old market, OurTime puts 100% of its focus on the 50+ baby boomer market of singles, many of whom are re-entering the dating world after a divorce or the loss of a spouse.
  • Simplified dating experience: In contrast to many other dating sites which offer a plethora of unnecessary options, OurTime keeps their interface and searches simple so that they can be used efficiently and with little to no hassle.
  • Paid self promotion: For a small fee, OurTime allows you to bump your profile up so it appears near the top of the search rankings. This helps make your profile more visible to prospective matches.
  • Best for Singles over 50 years of age who are seeking friendship, short-term or long-term relationships.

Compare Online Dating Websites & Services