OurTime

Compare Online Dating Websites & Services

Research top Online Dating Websites & Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I signed on two days ago, paid them for a month's membership, COULD NOT RETRIEVE EMAILS SENT TO ME AND COULD NOT SEND ANY, or see people who are interested in me. I contacted them to try to find out why, and received a ton of advice for techy things that I could not understand, could not get any real help. Done with this crap.

I joined on 1/4/17, Its only been one day and realized what a big ripoff this site is, very few choices to pick from then the ones you do talk with try to scam you out of money. Plus most of the men on the site are very scary looking. Tried to cancel due that I haven't been on here very long and already realized what a huge ripoff it is. Sad thing the company rips you, doesn't help when the people you choose to talk with are doing the same thing. Please do not use this site.

Our time has too many scam artist, their m.o. is very long bios with way too much information. I received no less than 10 messages like this. They "like" your profile and may even chat with you. Their command of the English vernacular is horrible. When you take something like this seriously and realize, that these companies are connected to a myriad of other online dating sites, it's just deplorable. The company was contacted and did not remove these profiles. I believe that they are the ones who sponsor these bogus and fake profiles. You've been warned.

Had a one month subscription. Canceled after two weeks for many reasons... 1. No live phone help. 2. Tons of fake profiles contact you that clearly do not even look at the profile you make for yourself. Many pretty faces 30 years my younger even though my profile stated I would ignore such types. 3. At first many contacted me but then they taper off. One or two would act interested as if to lead you on in chat so you don't cancel. 4. The profiles you look at never check yours back at all so they are all ghost just to waste your time and lead you on, I think. Profile changes in text and added photos are instantly "approved" leading me further to assume they don't even have real employees. 5. The interface is horrible. It kept telling me I have mail or flirts when nothing was there.

6. The ones that contacted me showed up as online but really aren't there. Then they show up later, oblivious to your trying to chat with them prior. 7. Before canceling I checked and many emails had been sent "by me" that I know I did not send to "girls" -- girls I would never think of writing to based on religious preferences. 8. Some with nice sounding names had different pictures than they did before that were clearly different people. 9. Probably - I suspect that they keep your photos for their own use of them long after you are gone to use in their scam of real people who want someone in their life. Tomorrow I'm going to the bank to get a new debit card since they now have my card number, expiration date and security number on the back of the card! Save your money and go out and meet people on your own.

10. I was frustrated with Match and thought I would try this one but this was much much worse. 11. In my opinion it is all run by a couple people and lots of computer servers that with better written software could fool most quite well. Total fake. Stay away from this one. I will never try one of these sites again. Makes me miss the old days of AOL chat rooms. At least those were real humans. There may be some real people there but not many. If there were as many subscribers as they want you to believe there should be much more traffic. 12. Fake 13. Fake 14. Fake.

On the plus side, at least I'll get a laugh every time I hear them run an ad on the radio or see them in a pop up ad on the internet. Try it as a free member if you want to see if I'm correct but at least use a distorted picture of yourself. If you do pay, get a prepaid card at the grocer check out at least. I suspect that the reason there is no phone help is because the three or four employees there speak heavily accented English on the other side of the planet. Best of luck to anyone who reads this. Hope I have helped anyone a bit that reads this.

I became a member of OurTime in June 2016. I'm 67 years old, slender, attractive, well educated and articulate. I have common, ordinary interests and hobbies. I'm not radical about anything. I think I'm an average retired, financially stable pretty lady. My beef: This site is matching me up with absolute losers. I've only meet one guy in all this time who's in reasonably good health. My profile says that that is important to me, but the sicker a guy is the more likely he'll contact me. I found a scammer (I didn't lose any money but wasted several weeks texting with him). One guy told me on the third date that if we continue to date and become involved that he expected me to give him control of my assets. No, really, I'm serious, that's what he actually said. I've been stood up twice for that first/introductory meeting.

There's an 82 year old who's profile says 74. Two guys (the only widowers I have actually meet so far) have claimed to be widowed for quite awhile, but in fact for only 6 months or less. These guys spend the entire date talking about the deceased wife. Then there are the ones who want to date, but the ex is still living in the home with him. Yep, two of those.

My profile says I like NPR, and one guy texted me that apparently I don't love my country. At least half the men I reach out to don't have the decency to respond in any way. A simple "You don't fish daily" or "I'm only interested in ladies with a Harley" or "You are too short for me, I prefer overweight blondes." I'd love it if they just said "Thanks for the flirt but I'm looking for...." No response at all is beyond rude, but it is the most common response. Everyone I've talked to with OurTime experience says this is their most common complaint. OurTime should find a way to monitor answered/unanswered flirts and texts and filter non-respondents to the bottom of visibility, or something.

The last straw for me... I had a (first meeting) lunch date today at 11:30. Mister Jerk, after not sleeping well, called me at 5:19 a.m. this morning to cancel. I'm serious, 5:19 a.m. He voicemailed later to say he'd still like to meet but not a single word of apology for waking me up that early. He had another six hours in which to have canceled the date and been somewhat thoughtful. I'm sure he didn't care about my sleep. Call me any time of day or night for an emergency, but to cancel a date??? Where in the ** do these jerks come from.

Trust me, I have been asking other women and found that no response at all is, by far the most common complaint, and the most common reason that women drop their subscription. OurTime, as an application, can't fix the pool of single older men in Idaho. If these Idaho guys wonder why they are alone, we ladies certainly don't. That's been my experience for the last 6 months - June 2016 to January 2017.

The way the app works isn't a bit useful either. There is very little sorting available. I would like to see the active men within 100 miles of my home and within +-5 years of my age. Almost all the views of my profile are from men in their 50's and living hundreds of miles away. A helpful sorting tool with the app would be to see only Christian/non-Christian or liberal/conservative or smokers/non-smokers or legally separated/ divorced/widowed, etc. Also how about showing only new members or lifetime losers. If a guy has been out there for a year or two, well that says a lot. Especially if they don't respond to friendly texts.This app simple throws everything at you. You must sort it out yourself and try to remember who fits your profile and who has already been rude, or ignored you, etc.

This has been absolutely the worst dating experience of my life. I haven't been in the dating world in 30 years. When I was 35 back then I was a hot little thing, and my self- esteem was good. Now, after six months of this crap, it's in the toilet. I'm very verbal with other ladies about staying away from OurTime and any other site like it in Idaho. I only wish I could shout from some mountain top or tall building, my frustration.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OurTime.com?

This was my first time ever on a dating site. I had no idea these "Romance Scams" existed. I met Raffaello ** in Dec., 2014. His profile said he was a widowed Veterinarian from Texas. He was raising his 16 year old son and caring for his elderly mother (one hell of a guy!!). He gave me his TX cell phone # and an email address. Six months later, I discover he is an illegal Nigerian living in Malaysia. When I contacted Romance Scams.org & gave his info, they "immediately" identified him as a Nigerian scammer. (Pics & profile totally fake). Why doesn't the dating site have this capability? The site requests that I myself identify scammers and report it to them. They need to identify and protect me from these predators!!

The FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center reports that romance scams cost Americans more than $82 million in losses during the last six months of 2014. To combat such losses, specific anti-fraud measures need to be implemented by the dating site, such as: Employ algorithms to detect suspicious language patterns used by scammers. Search for fake profiles across multiple dating websites. Issue alerts to any member who has been in contact with someone using a fraudulent profile. Educate members with tips on how to avoid romance scammers. DATING SITES DON'T DO ENOUGH TO PROTECT MEMBERS FROM KNOWN SCAMMERS...

I've used a few different dating sites and this one by far is the worse. I initially signed up for it for 3 months but they renewed my account for 6 more months even after I didn't want it. Every time you sign on you get a pop-up box that says they will give you a discount if you sign up longer but they charged my card even though I said no. But overall it's a huge scam. I've had it now for several months and still haven't had a face to face date. I've only communicated with two women on the site. I think they just use google photos off the internet and make up accounts. I constantly will go to the site and it will indicate I have a message. But when I click on my message box it will say I have no messages. So overall, do not use it. There are plenty of other sites where you can meet someone! Pass this along to all who are considering this site.

I signed for one month, later found I had been charged for six, plus "other" fees. Amount charged did not correspond to advertised price. Probably hidden in fine print. Totally unresponsive customer service, they don't want to hear from you and make it hard/impossible. They set you up for automatic renewal and you have to find and opt out. And then their candidate pool is terrible, boring, generic, and pathetic. They seem to randomly assign "suggested" possibilities from far away. Look elsewhere, I urge you.

I have been on the website for a total of 13 days. The experience can be summed up in one word: scam. My request for a refund of the unused portion of my 3 month subscription was met with a resounding "no" due to the fact that I had actually used the site! Customer service 1st hung up on me, then, on the 3rd call, tried to talk over me the entire time and refused to allow me to speak with a supervisor. My advice: don't do it, stay away from "OurTime".

Received a flirt from a female supposedly in my local area. We started to communicate online through the dating site. After a couple of days she told me her membership was up and I shared my personal email address with her. Then she informed me she was out of the country visiting her mother and would return in two weeks. She started requesting more pictures and some very personal information. I did not send any more pictures because I noticed a lot of spelling and grammar errors. I asked her some very pointed questions about our local area based on my suspicion. The communications suddenly stopped. I strongly feel I was being hacked for more personal information which I didn't give. I have been on numerous dating sites in the last three years and found that you have to be extremely careful and have not been very successful in finding anyone worth trusting or dating in the long run.

I've seen the reviews on here about this site, and I've had a similar experience. What I'd like to know is if there is an Attorney out there who would be interested in filing a class action lawsuit, or any consumers out there who would like to begin a petition to file? These people need to be held accountable.

Joined about a month ago. Within a few minutes I had several emails in my end box. So I opted to purchase a membership. Later, I felt it was a bait and switch. I had received emails stating someone had flirted or view my profile. Only paid members can communicate. Even if a paid member contacted a non-paid member. It would appear maybe 1 in 15 are actually paid. Then I started getting bombarded with fake/scammers. One day alone, I received 23 oversea scams. I email customer service. Response was nowhere related to questions asked. Makes me wonder if it was even read by a real person. Bottom line, stay away. Site is really shady.

For two years in a row (even though I cancelled after this happened last year) Our Time has renewed my account to the tune of about $85.00 - with no notice that it was going to happen. Although they inundate you with their so-called matches, they can't send an email that they're going to take money out of your account! I used an expletive with the idiot customer service person. I never do that. Don't join their matches - ugh.

If you want to date the dregs of society, this is the online dating site for you! Fortunately I only signed up for one month. I wish I can get my money back. Most of the men on this site are substandard, high school or technical school education, live in trailers, ride Harleys, wear cheap gold chains, white beater shirts... you get the idea. Occasionally you get someone decent but they are one in a million and you're probably not compatible with them. Don't waste your money on this junk online dating site.

I have had 4 scammers since I have been enrolled only about 2 weeks. I was told I could report a concern by clicking on the concern icon on every profile but there is nowhere on any profile to report it. I have sent 3 emails telling them of the problem but absolutely no response. For the last 8 hrs or more I have been unable to use the site accurately because one person's profile is like frozen on top of the main screen and I cannot get it removed. Therefore I can only see half of my messages and can only write and even see just a little of what I write on the screen. I have tried and tried to contact someone but there is no one to contact. When you do what they tell you there is no one to tell you how to navigate on this site.

Had I known about all these negative reviews I never would have joined. I have met some nice gentlemen but am afraid to give out my other email because this site is hacked way too much and it is easy to recognize it but no one cares. 101 fusion is completely free and a wonderful site. I should have stuck with that one. Now I have to try and make sure they don't double charge me.

I've been on OurTime since August. The service from OurTime and People Media the parent company is horrible. No less than 4 times in 3 months they shut my account off because "it appears to be compromised". They don't me tell that they are doing it. I find out when I try to log in. You get a message to reactivate your account. When you try to do that you get a message to call. When you call them you get a call center that appears to be in the Philippines. They are hard to understand and take excruciatingly long to resolve anything.

The last time they did this was over New Years. I had been conversing with a couple of people. Thanks to People Media's absolute incompetence that is no longer the case. I called them today, talked with a guy who couldn't understand me and I couldn't understand him. He told me to just go online and open a new account. I told him to just carry over the info over to a new account. This is their problem. He told me he reactivated my account but he didn't so I have to start all over. These guys are idiots and be prepared for terrible service.

I had my account set up at my old work email address which was ** and I no longer work there. I paid for six months and was able to get into my account from my personal email address which is **. Now when I do log on, it is asking me to join again. What I am asking is if you could update this and put my personal email address as my main, and give me the access.

The smartest way to deal with OurTime dot com is to use a virtual credit card number. You can set the maximum charge amount and also stop them from setting your account to automatically renew. At the very bottom of their newly-revised "contract" is this:

"You, the buyer, may cancel this agreement, without penalty or obligation, at any time prior to midnight of the original contract seller's third business day following the original date of this contract, excluding Sundays and holidays. To cancel this agreement, mail or deliver a signed and dated notice which states that you, the buyer, are canceling this agreement, or words of similar effect. This notice shall be sent to: People Media Inc, Attn: Cancellations, P.O. Box 12627, Dallas, TX 75225, USA. Please include your OurTime.com username and email address in any correspondence or your refund may be delayed. If you cancel, People Media Inc will return, within ten days of the date on which you give notice of cancellation, any payments you have made. If you send or deliver the notice to cancel your subscription agreement within such three day period, we will refund the full amount of your subscription."

I sent a registered letter to them before the end of the "buyers' remorse" period but they are still saying I am ineligible for a refund. Stay away... This site sucks. They will arbitrarily edit your profile, delete your content and pictures but also allow members to have a blank profile with questionable pictures. Match.com should be ashamed to offer such a sleazy site.

I joined December 26th and before I could proceed (view matches) I had to joining, I elected to try for 1 month at a total of $33.95. I deleted the account December 28 as it wasn't what I was hoping for. I called the number listed asking to be prorated and they refused so I am out of the monies. Plus the majority of so called matches were not nothing in common just reading the profiles. Hate this site.

I signed up because I saw several women from my area in the intro list. I was pleased to see that OurTime wanted to know my preferences: female, nonsmoking, age 50-65, within 50 miles. OurTime gives an updated list of 11 people who are supposed to your preferences. They were at least all female (except the 2 guys who "favorited" me???). It was not unusual to find a smoker on the list, they were aged anywhere from 41 to 76, and were from up to 200 miles away. I guess so they could always list 11 people. I do not recommend OurTime as an online dating site.

Stay away from this site. They suck. No Customer Service. Very restrictive hours of communication. Ask for a refund. If they refuse go to your credit card company and dispute, and report fraud. Your account is hacked very quickly.

Last night I joined Our Time for $111, and I sent one message. I immediately knew this was the wrong thing for me. I don't want to date. I have a guy I see already. So as soon as I could, this morning called early.. I can not get my money back. As I see others have had this problem also. If I had bought something anywhere, could have gotten a refund. I am terribly disappointed in not only your site but also your service.

Joined end of November, 4-5 days into, account could not be accessed, customer NO-service suspected HACKING, reset my account and I used for another few days before it happened AGAIN. Customer NO-service said it was experiencing HACKING problems, to open another account with new info! If they're that vulnerable, WHY would I want another account? Requested a refund, prorated if they wanted to do that... I was denied, again said I should open another account. Asked to speak to supervisor, was told he was "busy" with something else. I signed up 11/22/16, my account unavailable majority of time until today 12/5/16. This is unacceptable business practice, then to DENY a refund! DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE, in my opinion the worst case of fraudulent business behavior and NO customer service once you've paid for it!

Cancellation policy - Join one day and canceled within 24 hours and they still charged my account. Then sent a message with a link to a cancellation site for OurTime. Did that, paid another fee, they charged my account, did nothing and only said that Our Time could not refund my fee. They said I had the account open too long, it was less than 24 hours. Total sham.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I have to update my previous review. The site had charged 111 dollars US to my PayPal act (3 months) when I thought I was just renewing for a month. There was no button to confirm what I was actually purchasing. I did succeed in contacting them (Peoplemedia, for those interested) by phone. The wait time was short and the agent was polite. He agreed to refund me 2 of the 3 months however he refused to refund the amount in full because I had sent one message. I replied that I'd just sent the message to a contact advising her that I was leaving the side, and had only used it for about a minute. I threatened to pursue them through PayPal.

At this point, there was a brief delay while the agent checked with a supervisor, and he got back to tell me that my money would be returned in full. This experience was OK, but I still would not recommend the dating site. I believe their main focus is NOT providing a service for lonely people, which should be something nice, but instead, the site is designed in such a way as to gouge the maximum amount of money out of you. BEWARE. But at least they will give you a refund if you pursue them.

Chris of Castlegar, BC on

Original Review

I had discontinued service. They sent me a message about someone contacting me and offered renewal. I renewed, thinking it was just for a month. $30... Immediately, without any confirmation button of what I was buying, they debited $111 US from my account. It's the weekend and I can't contact them. I think I may be able to resolve it but it's a pain in the neck. My experience with these guys is that their main motivation is to gouge money out of you rather than provide a good service, preying on lonely people. Find another dating site! Avoid these guys.

Have not even seen the "free browsing" which is all I was interested in--to see what kind of people were on it. I set up an account and it would not let me upload a photo. It stopped there and didn't even ask me to join up or give a payment (which I was not planning to do anyway). Thank God I checked ratings and feedback on this GREAT Consumer Affairs site. Wow, www.OurTime.com is a giant scam obviously. I need to quickly delete my account in case they use it for advertising or try to bill me for something. Yikes!

I became a member on OurTime 11/12/16 for one month. When I looked at my bank statement they had charged my first 3 months. When I called the girl said it was my fault because I probably don't hit the 1 month button. So they would not refund my money. When I joined I did so because it said 50% off. Price was 14.98. I got charged 34.49 plus 3.99 plus 15.99. She that was the correct charge and would not refund my money. Very bad site. DO NOT JOIN.

This site continues to have problems--and yet I've been told on several occasions that they are working to improve the site. I requested a membership at one level and they up the level (without my consent) and charged me the higher fee. Emails from them indicated I had selected the higher level, and they could not make adjustments. However they have told me that they will refund my fee in total (especially after I told them that this constitutes "Bait & Switch" and is highly illegal).

About a year ago I tried them and had to cancel because their site was constantly kicking me offline or freezing up. This issue seems to be improved "somewhat." Assuming that they refund my fees without problems--I've found OurTime to be reasonable about refunds as long as you contact them within 24 hours of your "sign up." Their site leaves a lot to be desired. I notice that I'm NOT the only one who has experienced this "accidental" unauthorized level and fee increase... As Usual--"BUYER BEWARE!!!!"

I joined last week and had to contact company as they put the one month subscription through as several months instead of just one. I was very hesitant to join but thought it time to try to find a friend or companion to do things with. I started getting flirts and emails right away but noticed that they all wanted my email address immediately before even trying to contact me through the site. The pictures of the gentlemen were nice and seemed professionally done but it was the wording in the messages that showed me that they were not writing the way they should have been. The same wording was used and they explained that their subscription was up and they couldn't renew so they wanted me to email them so "we could get to know together better"!

I am an editor by profession and a detective by nature so the red flags went up. I blocked and reported each and every one and immediately the message came on the screen saying that they were no longer available to receive emails! I also wrote "SCAMMER" in my response. This is so sad. Innocent senior folks are being taken advantage of this way. I hate to lose the $26.00 but will cancel my subscription immediately as I doubt that there is anyone on this site for me. I was on a different site three years ago and found that guys just want to "look" and not act... Seems a waste of money to me.

This is a scam!! They have taken money out of my account without permission. I will be going to my bank and reporting fraud and speaking to an attorney about filing a class action suit. Having read reviews from others, I believe there is a case for this.

Expert Review

Mark BrooksOnline Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.    More about Mark→

OurTime is the largest dating site created specifically for the baby boomer market.

• 50+: Unlike most dating sites which are aimed at the 18-35 year old market, OurTime puts 100% of its focus on the 50+ baby boomer market of singles, many of whom are re-entering the dating world after a divorce or the loss of a spouse.
  • Simplified dating experience: In contrast to many other dating sites which offer a plethora of unnecessary options, OurTime keeps their interface and searches simple so that they can be used efficiently and with little to no hassle.
  • Paid self promotion: For a small fee, OurTime allows you to bump your profile up so it appears near the top of the search rankings. This helps make your profile more visible to prospective matches.
  • Best for Singles over 50 years of age who are seeking friendship, short-term or long-term relationships.

Compare Online Dating Websites & Services