1.11/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2856 Match.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Tired of being single after a divorce, I made the leap and signed on to Match.com. I'm here to tell you that just about every negative review you read on this consumer review page is, unfortunately true. I wish I had read all these reviews before paying for my subscription but I didn’t. Of over 325 "would-be" matches, the majority were either out of date, fake or non-paying members...which means they can't even respond to a message you may send if you have an interest.

Harboring out-of-date profiles, fake profiles and non-paying members is clearly a ploy designed by Match to increase their profits. In fact, if you ARE a paying member and want your profile to only be seen by those you choose, there is an extra fee for that. If you want to communicate with a non-paying member, there is an extra fee for that too!

Those 325 mutual matches? I narrowed it down to five people and none of them are paying members, so they can't respond to my message of interest. I only had ONE response and she ended up being a "serial dater", working her way up to a free dinner and then "Sorry, we're not a good fit." Can't believe I fell for that, but this is what's out there...serial daters, fake profiles (that even have the exact word for word profile summary), inactive members and unpaid members!

Clearly, I will not be renewing my membership. Speaking of renewing...using your settings, be sure that you cancel your subscription in advance of your end date or you will be charged again. Save your confirmation number. Additionally, you may want to manually DELETE ALL of your photos and profile info AND deactivate your account....or you will be one of the many inactive members Match keeps on file for ONE YEAR to make it look like they have a huge database of possible matches. Worse yet, the use policy you agree to when you sign up allows them to use your photos. How about that! My advice? Online dating in general is a hit or miss situation at best. They prey on lonely people who are sincere about finding a companion...all for profit. Good luck!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

First off, do not subscribe to this scam of a website. Despite what the commercials and "results" say, Match.com is an atrocity of a dating site. After surveying this site for years, I can safely say this site is a scam. From my own experience, during "working hours," there have been regularly between 60-65 members showing as "active." Yet in the evening, when you would think more people are searching, it drops by 85% to maybe 5-10 AT MOST. Doesn't this seem fishy? Well it is. It's because these profiles are either made and handled by Match.com employees or they are regularly made active to present the facade to browsing users in order to lure them into subscribing, only to then see the witch behind the mask they are wearing.

The reality is that unless you're in an overpopulated area, not as many people are using this site as they make it seem. Of their "millions of users," it's safe to say at least 50% of them if not more are bots or furnished profiles. With all of the money they are making through this scheme, it is not a shock that they can pay their employees to do this for them as well as make commercials to lure even more people in, especially with the influx in online dating.

If this isn't enough to keep you away, then consider this. There is no way of telling whether people are subscribed or not, so when you send a message there's a good chance it's not even read. Also, you can't even communicate without subscribing, so there's also that. Heed this warning and stay away from this site. They are only trying to steal your money and you will be left with nothing but disappointment from it. There are plenty of other free options out there to help in your search. You've been warned.

Get expert buying tips about Online Dating Sites and Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I signed up for the 6 month 'deal', which the site defaults for, with the idea that you 'only' pay a certain amount per month. Actually, you pay in full upfront. Your 'matches' are based on nothing other than age and distance. No matter what and how many times you put something more meaningful into the search parameters. Despite it being a paid-for membership, constant flashing adverts make the experience on the desktop version a visual nightmare, sort of a 1980s disco without decent music (and without any appealing men!).

The app is one of the worst I've ever come across. It sends messages when you don't want it to, it says you've just been favourited when you may have been, but three months ago! Most of the profiles are on POF- a free site. The amount of scammers and con artists outnumber the amount of genuine profiles. I've reported several including the evidence, but Match clearly do not invest in staff to remedy the situation. I'm struggling to understand what I'm paying for!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Tried it a couple years ago. They charge you for a free service offered by others. Tired of paying for the same thing I can get through others... Pretty expensive, but that's how their executives get exclusive vacations... Anyways... I'm done playing dumb...

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

You used to get read notifications for free as part of the membership, now they're $2.99 a month. Beyond that, the membership is useless. You have to pay to message/respond to people, but most people don't pay. So you have to pay even more to let non-paying members respond. They should just charge a higher upfront fee and include all that ** instead of nickel-and-diming you after the fact.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Match.com?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I have been on there for 4 months and only met one person. Signed up for 6 month membership thinking it would save me money. Now Match has gone to the steps of if you don't meet someone in 6 months and write at least 5 new people per month they will extend the membership. Hell if you don't find at least one person in 6 months why extend it? Waste of money.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Match.com LLC is a waste of money. Many of the profiles are NOT paid members. The difference is you either pay or you have no access. They like to call all profiles a members. When you call which is limited non-customer service hours. 9-5 Texas time you will speak to the Philippines, Central America or TX. The phone reps are not helpful. I was working on my profile and was going to join, however they blocked my account. They won't tell you on the phone and say it will take 24-48 hours for an EMAIL reply. Search the internet for class actions against Match. Too bad the judges have thrown the cases out. I guess buyer beware.

The site does not remove old or unpaid profiles, they claim like all the dating sites, in case the person wants to return, don't hold your breath! They like keeping the profiles up. It makes it look like they have tons of members. Just remember money = paid, all else is meaningless. If you pay extra you can email a nonpaid member and that person can reply. I am sure that was from the class action, as if I email profiles and they are not a PAID member this would be misleading for the paid member. CAREFUL. THE SEA OF LOVE IS FILLED WITH SHARP FANGS.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

First off I know I’m a unicorn in the dating world. I’m in shape, attractive, confident, make great money, travel the world, super fun, and extremely intelligent, (Ivy league education). So I go on the site, put together a solid profile, great photos, nothing too risky, to display myself for all to see. Well to my demise all I was getting was extremely unattractive women that were huge by any standards, scammers, extremely old women, (60 plus years old), women that basically wanted more kids and were pushing 40 plus years old, agnostic women, and out of three dates in three months it was a total disaster. All three women had MAJOR medical issues, ranging from deep depression, various stages of debilitating health issues, etc.

Needless to say after my whole experience with Match.com and what an awful experience I would HIGHLY suggest that you take your money you would spend on the site and set it on fire. I wasn’t looking for “the one”, I was merely looking for some interesting dates and to see where things would go. It was a total waste of time, and energy. Worst website ever!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I signed up for Match based on their advertisement. I opted into a six month deal for the savings. Within a day I knew I had made a mistake, the site works terribly. I decided to cancel the purchase after seeing how awful the website is and the unlikely hood of having a match. For example, I was receiving messages from people who did not in anyway match my profile. I called to cancel. The person I spoke with told me that there is no refund, but they could stop future charges and refused to give my money back. I was very upset, because I had bought the 6 month plan and on day one hated it. I explained, "You are supposed to have x number of days free for trial anyway."

It was not until I contacted my creditor about the purchase, that was still pending that Match decided to help me. I would have disputed this all the way because it is a fraud to charge for something not used. I told them I would even settle and pay for one month of the service, that was not an option I was told. Finally, after a dispute, Match agreed to send the money back to my card. Match attempts to intimidate unhappy customers. I would not use this site at all.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I've been trying to edit my profile for months now to no avail. It looked ridiculous, appeared as one long paragraph. I called and wrote many times to no avail. I was told they were aware of it and were looking into it just yesterday. I spoke to a very condescending woman after telling them in the Philippines I wanted to speak to someone in the U.S., who told me she met someone on Match so it works, lol. I told her it didn't work for women over 50 and that I wanted my profile fixed or wanted a refund or I was filing a complaint with the TX State Attorney General. This morning I get an email that my profile contains something offensive and will not be approved. I called again, got the Philippines and said I wanted again to speak to someone in the U.S.

I got Caitlyn and told her I wanted to speak with her supervisor. She said she was it and there was no one else to speak with and that my profile was BLOCKED because I had threatened to file a complaint. I said refund my money then and she said nothing and hung up. I called my credit card company and while on the phone got an email they were refunding my money. I think this company should be shut down but the only way that will happen is with a lawsuit forcing it. I have not met anyone on this site btw at all. Men over 50 are either flakes, fakes or looking for easy women. A big, big waste of time and money!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

As a Match.com member, I recently subscribed to a Match.com event. I was trying to find as much as possible about the event before submitting the order and, as I clicked on a button labeled LEARN MORE I was instantly charged with no possibility to review or cancel the order. I still want to attend the event but I am unpleasantly surprised by this experience.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I signed up for Match around Nov 1st. But only as a free membership. I did so cause there was an old classmate from high school as a member. So I figured why not now. I never had any bad interaction with this classmate in school, etc. So finally I get the $ to become a paid member Nov 30th. I'm not a paid member more than an hour and a half. I all sudden didn't feel right. I started to have internet problems. I get kicked. I go to re-sign in but forgot my password so I send for a link to replace said password.

The site almost instantly says I need to call them. Ok I figured it was a misunderstanding so I jumped in the shower get dressed, etc. I figured by now whatever was wrong was over. Lol yeah right. I called in. A very short almost written statement that says, "Your account has been closed and will be refunded for that payment." From now 2 hrs ago. I asked them why. They tell me, "It was decided by Corporate Office. You will get an email. Goodbye." That's was my whole experience in Match.com.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Match.com is listed as a Christian dating site. This could not be further from the truth. All the men wanted sex before marriage. In fact, one guy told me that divorced women were easy to get in bed with because they were vulnerable and craved attention. There were a lot of men to choose from, but the quality was not there.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

As others have noted, there seem to be a lot of scammers! Not only that, Match.com must not own a computer with algorithms, because even when you complete every option as to what you’re looking for, it’s totally ignored. For example, I checked that I want agnostics, they matched me with a PASTOR! I said I wanted matches within 100 miles of my home, and they’re sending me people from other states, none of which are within 100 miles. Also, even though I am a woman seeking a man, they occasionally match me with other women. I guess they are afraid if you don’t get enough matches, you’ll be disappointed, but I’d rather get none than a bunch that I wouldn’t even consider. Very frustrating! And, lastly, when you see something in your “inbox”, it’s actually your outgoing likes, smiles, or whatever.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

Match.com came up with this new ** "For your safety, please request a new password" and lockout profiles time to time and make users keep requesting for new password countless times in a week, how senseless even banks don't make users request for a new password time to time because that will make users to be giving out too much information to cyber world. When most wise users don't even use their real email on dating site Match is trying to make it mandatory to use real email and make users give more information and make them more vulnerable and various aspects. Instead of Match.com to deal with pressing matters like reducing their charges and give members more appropriate matches, they are busy with irrelevant matter "For your safety, please request a new password" that would make many members abandon the site.

Sooner or later Zoosk.com will take over the dating business from them because Match.com seems to lack the knowledge of running a dating site now. They are not so concerned about their members and making them find better matches. Match.com should drop that ** "For your safety, please request a new password" and focus more on strategies to make members stay on their website.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

The interface is just like every other dating site out there, but the customer service is nonexistent. Used it for several months only for my account to have been deleted unexpectedly. Tried to find out why and dispute, Match said they couldn't find my account. Fast forward several months later, a year subscription renewal shows up on my bank statement. After doing more reading, it seems it's a fairly common occurrence for users accounts to just disappear for seeming no reason or because one person didn't like something and reported them.

I didn't interact with a huge amount of people, I'm quiet by nature, and had only sent polite messages when I had. For my account to be removed without notification, told they couldn't find it when I attempted to follow up, and then charged for another year several months later? This company is a scam. Use literally ANY other service than this one. If I could give it negative stars I would, due to the complete lack of customer service or fairness I have received in this matter.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I have been on this site for 3 weeks. In that period of time I have had 3 men attempt to scam me, all were fake profiles which I figured out with doing some due diligence, and 2 men wanted only kinky sex. What is wrong with you people. I reported all the issues to Match, but doubt they did anything. They won't tell you. Beware if you are thinking of going on Match. You may have better luck at the bar, at least you can see their real face and turn and run!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I signed up for the site with some encouragement from some friends that maybe the free dating sites are hard to meet someone because the people aren't as serious. So I said ok I'll try a paid one. I landed on Match because I trusted the commercials. I was sent an offer for %50 off. Good thing that's all I had to pay. I made my profile and started finding women that matched with me. I had a few matches within the first few hours. I sent EVERY woman that "liked" my profile. No replies. I tweaked my profile and kept looking and messaging people.

Here's the twist, after not hearing back from anyone I dug into this. Not everyone is a paid member, if they aren't they can't even read your message reply to you. They don't even tell you if the user is a free member. If you want them to be able to read and reply that's another $10 a month. If you want to know if the message was read that's another $4 a month. If you want to boost your profile to be seen more? Guess what... 2.50 per boost. I understand it is a business but work with the people a little. If they truly cared about you meeting someone they would allow people to message back if a paid user messaged them for FREE. You shouldn't be forced to fork over so much money to find love. Here is a price breakdown for all of their "services".

$20.99/month for 12 months. $23.99/month for six months. $26.99/month for three months. Then they offer a slew of "add ons" to "help you" including the message read feature, allow free users to read and reply to your messages, boost, have an expert write your profile for you etc... I don't think anyone should EVER waste money on this site. You have been warned!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I have not gone on one date from this site. It’s a rip off. They show you people you cross paths with. There is no way in hell you will ever meet that person. The commercial is a lie. I would cancel if I could get a refund. They send you a profile that someone is interested in you then when you go there the profile is not there. How do they get away with this scam?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I have been on the site for nearly 8 months. Wrote full profile, pictures. Educated and look good. Was perplexed that I never got more than one response to a question and didn't hear anything from most. Match runs all their promotions and "premiums this and that" to boost their database. I finally went into detail with a representative tonight about what I long suspected. They said they don't divulge who they’re paying and non paying customers/subscribers are on the site??? Essentially, you see all these people out there that appear to be available and trust me, very few are.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Dear potential customer, this site has been a disaster from the moment I googled it. There has not been one thing that has gone right. I was told I was being given a seven (7) day free trial but after a couple of hours, I was blocked and told to contact customer service. This experience has been one disaster after another and a total waste of time. When I contacted customer service they said the trial doesn't work anymore (after a few hours) and that the only way I could use the site was to pay. I could no longer (after a few hours) check it out to see if I like it. I keep being told that I can log in but I cannot. As the rather lengthy form does take time to complete and ends up being useless, it is counterproductive to bother completing it.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

First and foremost, I tried emailing Match.com to let them know that I needed them to contact me because I was a victim of a scammer on their website! No response!!! Women!! Please be aware that I was scammed and robbed of $28,000 because I was gullible to what was happening to me. DO NOT Give anyone money if they ask you or even iTunes cards. I had no idea that you can purchase a card and they can deplete funds. I’m embarrassed and ashamed of how naive I was to believing a lot of lies! I think that Match needs to have better security.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I have never seen such a disappointing, dishonest and money grabbing site in all my life. You call yourself Match... well you don’t Match people. I have asked for profiles with pictures only. Over my 3 months, I’ve had too many profiles that didn’t have photos. You stopped sending these to me when I wrote to complain. I asked for people between 58 and 68. You’ve sent me so many profiles of men ranging between the ages of 50 to 58. You’ve sent me Matches of men who are looking for women between 40 and 55 years old. Not only are you dishonest to me but also dishonest to men. I’m 65 yrs old. Can you not do the math. Now how is that a Match for me. You said that you have over 100 000 members on Match. Why is it that YOU decide how many matches or should I say fictions matches I see in a week.

And some of these matches are NOT members anymore on this site. It’s always the same message, Bummer, you have to check back later and, 3-4 days later I get Matches. You spoon feed us matches. This site is very frustrating and full of deceptions and lies. You do not own up to your name. I’ve asked for Matches at a 50 mile distance. I received profiles of men living at a 5 hour plane flight or 3-5 hour drive from my postal code. To prey on vulnerable people who are looking for love is distasteful, disgraceful and outright dishonest. Have you no pride? Have you no integrity? You have no consideration and no respect for people who join your site.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

The website is a total mess and the interface is very poor. I've been on a less popular sites that aren't big funded & mainstream like Match that have easier to use mechanics (mechanics that won't make the site terminate you over an accidental edit). I kept getting the same old people and same matches. I joined just out of curiosity because I wanted to profile browse (had the account for at least a week). I had to make a profile to do that so I decided might as well give this a try to see if I can find someone. I got lots of views and likes. Even messages but you have no way of replying back to these messages men send you UNLESS they themselves buy a separate package ($10 or so) that allows people they message to be able to respond back FREE regardless of membership status.

So many catch 22s with this and this alone kills the whole purpose of the site because you can't even SEE your messages at all nor get a preview. I'd be willing to try and pay if I could see what was said to me but not be able to reply back like some sites. So I won't have to take a gamble. Because I'm not a serious online dater and am new to this scene I didn't know that you can see who messaged you through your e-mail. I automatically assumed from how locked all the features were you would have no way of knowing at all.

Either way it's still a risk and gamble because of course you don't know what the people are saying to you or if it's worth it. So out of all the little buzz I received I only had 2 free messages. An Asian I randomly liked and another white guy I accidentally clicked like one in the search. Seriously if you are here to find love or date in person why would you not get the option to message EVERYONE? I had so many messages that were locked. I don't understand at all. What's the point of upgrading if you can message anyone but at the same time if the person you're messaging isn't upgraded it does not work?

Nobody seem to use common sense on the site. with how tightly locked everything is I sort of understand why going off Match.com is an option communication wise but when guys push for you to leave the site and talk on other apps it's a pain. I believe everyone that says the site has bots, fakes, or forged profiles. Cause with how obtuse the Match.com set up is where all you can really do is like profiles and view if you're free (maybe respond if one upgraded member has that option) you'd think you'd see tons of pages saying add me on ____ site or app if you're really interested as a side message but nobody says that nor acknowledges that?

Many normal looking guys and profiles but I still don't trust it. The Asian guy who was a few years younger than me had the mentality of a child and seemed like a teenager to me. I gave it a try and he was way too clingy, hyper, and rushing everything with minimal dating experience. Gave me a headache so I had to block his number after a while. I blocked him on the site as well. Match.com does not truly match anyone. It's just based on what you put as preferences and your likes hobbies wise. A majority were okay and up my alley but content wise in their about me's it was opposite.

Anyway here comes the kicker and angel in disguise for me - I came to this site ConsumerAffairs because I was nervous about upgrading and feared getting scammed. So after reading the reviews and knowing that I wasn't ready to online date (let alone on match anymore) I was cleaning my profile out taking down all the info and pictures leaving whatever I could leave blank as I could since I heard on consumer they keep you in the database. So while I'm stripping my profile clean I delete my profile photo and guess what... THEY DELETE MY PROFILE ON THE SPOT.

I got signed out of my page automatically in a mere seconds then couldn't log in again. I go to my e-mail as they say my account was locked. I go into my own e-mail and get a message saying I am no longer a Match.com member. They told me I got terminated for being married as married users are not allowed, it's a strict rule they have, you must be single or separated (the separated part is bs as we all know separated can be so many things anyway).

Funny thing is I NEVER CHANGED MY MARTIAL STATUS ON THE PROFILE AT ALL. I took off the about me essay. I took off my race / ethnic, I took off the last read books, the movies, and what I want to do right now. I took all that off and deleted my profile photos as well as wiped the rest off. I never touched age, town, age range for men or anything but they deleted me on the spot for that. THIS WAS A BLESSING AND CURSE IN DISGUISE.

Blessing: I was going to delete my page anyway and was just cleaning it off so they could not re-use my words or content for future bot pages. They did me a favor by deleting my page. If I ever re-joined again It would be with a different e-mail and from a different place not where I am now so they won't have the same IP address if it's an IP ban. They never state if it's an IP termination or regular termination.

Curse: Because the site does not state which type of termination it is. I could have easily rejoined the site with the e-mail all over again. Anyways, it's a scam because if I had paid through the upgrade to have a membership and let's say I accidentally clicked married without realizing it while editing my details for update I would have been automatically deleted losing EVERYTHING and all my progress with the likes & messages. I'd have to go through resolution center e-mail to get the page back or some type of explanation to explain.

So be careful when you're on Match period. Some people will pressure you to get on Snap, Kik, Whatsapp, etc, ask you for social media pages claiming they didn't have any luck and were about to leave. If you get tons of messages and interest but only 1-2 messages you can actually respond to, it may be a trap or waste of time. Also be careful if you're updating information or deciding got edit your page. If you accidentally click the wrong thing they will delete your account. To me I feel they did it because I wiped my page down so fast it was a red flag that I was about to leave. Instead of giving me a warning or a notice they delete me on a bs excuse. I've seen many reviews stating that people with no picture or fake pics have been on the site so it's impossible that they could take such extreme action toward someone over simple page editing.

Match.com is fraudulent because common sense: why would you have a "married" option in your relationship status or "married" in never married / married option. If your policy is dating for all singles and divorced why implement that? Match lied and looked for a rapid reason to delete me since I was trying to loophole their database so they couldn't keep my stuff after I deleted. I'm happy they deleted me and I will not ever re-join since I actually filled my page out a lot before that and I didn't make it generic. It would take too much effort to find all the guys again and I'm not upgrading so it'd be a repeat. But the married option was such a fluke. That's like going to ** people meet dating site and adding Asian, ** and Italian background options. It would not make sense.

One minor mess up because of Match.com's wonky interface and set up resulted in my account being deleted. They lost money and missed out since before I saw consumer I was about to try it but not now. Stay safe everyone and leave Match.com alone. It's mass mainstream scam. Just because they advertise it on television does not make it legit as they probably paid big advertising bucks for it and paid actors to talk about Match. Match needs to only have a cheap option to message people back and forth.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Generally, you receive a daily email with new matches. Many are the same profiles from prior daily emails. Right clicking is disabled, so you cannot open a profile in a different tab. Each time you look at a profile, it shows up in their "who's viewed me" queue. So unless you want to look like a stalker, make sure to only view a profile once. It is purposefully structured this way, as it drives members to purchase private-mode: either $3.99 for 24 hours or $9.99 a month. Private mode lets you view profiles incognito. I do not like having to purchase something additional as an already-paying member (I did not purchase it). When you view a match's photos, the 'send a message' text box at the bottom obscures any captions that may be attached to a photo (great web design Match.com!).

Also, in the 'who's viewed me' queue there is sometimes a mysterious red dot next to a match. I was not able to determine what this red dot means, as searching Match.com's help-page did not produce anything. The customer service email link does not work. I received an error message (using both IE and Firefox, disabled Adblock on both, cookies allowed) that said: "Using Safari? We need you to allow cookies..." Same error for the 'live chat' support link. Searching Match.com for their customer service email was fruitless. So unless you want to phone them, good luck.

Calling their matching system an algorithm is a complete misnomer. I constantly receive matches that are outside of my set age range, mismatched according to my 'must haves,' matches that are outside of the distance I set, etc. Many profiles only have 1 photo and a brief/blank description. Many profiles are old/inactive: the photos are timestamped (e.g. 01/01/2012) or the profile's bio references dates from many years prior, etc. I've already canceled my account. From all the negative reviews here on Consumer Affairs, I'm crossing my fingers I do not get falsely charged.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I signed up with a discount offer. A few years ago I had signed up and had no problem finding the link to deactivate auto renewal. Not this time! Good luck figuring out the link to click - accounts didn't work, and I think I clicked auto sign in instead of deactivating renewal. Asked PayPal for help and they refused. Bad deal.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I was on Match for 15 days. My membership was for three months. I deleted my account after going on three dates with three men. The men (I encountered) on Match are looking for hook ups. This site makes you feel dirty to be on it. Most of the men that contacted me misrepresented themselves. Match needs to verify age by asking for social security numbers of prospective members. I want to strongly warn women about how predatory this site is. No matter how conservative your photos are many of the members only want one thing. Men on Match always want you to give them your phone number and get off the Match platform. Once they have your number they are a completely different person.

I have had to block these members on my phone. I made this mistake of giving my number and the results were scary. One of the men had a mug shot in North Carolina for stalking. The other man had 10 Driving Under The Influence charges, suspended license and was 30 pounds heavier than photos. Only one man was nice and a gentleman. The one positive I can say for Match was their customer service. When I contacted Match to remove my information, they quickly and professionally removed it. I had only positive interaction with the customer care associates. Please know that every word of this review is true. Some people may have had a good experience on Match, mine was scary. Never again.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

In April of this year (2018), I paid for a 6 month subscription to Match.com. The terms say that if you don’t cancel before the 6 months are up, that you will be charged that amount again when it is time to renew. Before that time was up, I tried signing into my account to cancel my subscription but the email and password I always used all of a sudden wouldn’t work. I clicked to reset my password but the reset email never showed up. I went to my local bank and paid for a “stop transaction” on my account to block the name that Match used to take the money out under back in April however, when the day came to renew, they took the money out of my account under a different name which still screwed me out of my money. I contacted Match using their customer service email and phone number. Emailed them twice and never heard back.

Finally called the number and the first man hung up on me and the second woman read back my email and told me to provide her my full name and debit card number and I refused the debit card number and she turned around and told me that email address all of a sudden didn’t exist even when I have proof that they sent an email on April 16th confirming my subscription. Will be contacting federal agents this week regarding the matter. Both people on the phone could barely speak English. This company is a scam. It is hard to believe with it being one of the most popular dating websites nationwide.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Awful experience. They are just interested in taking your money and will say whatever they like. They have something called shuffle which I innocently tried. It comes up with a photo and age and you have to say yes or no to liking them. I'm polite and don't like to say that I don't like someone, particularly when I haven't seen any details of them. I was horrified to find them all in my favourites box! When I googled, it showed me how to remove them but when I tried, it wouldn't work so I called Match and they told me that they were aware of the problem and were working on it. I called 2 months later only to be told that I had been given the wrong information and that they have removed that feature. I also had very inappropriate messages from some men. If you are looking for a quality man ladies, be very careful here! Will never use Match again.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

When you email people that you are interested in around your age group with common interests along with the features that they want, no one ever responds to your email. This is a total waste of my precious time. There is a reason people join the on line dating because they have a hard time meeting others. People don't review your profile as in a case with me, I was finally going to meet some one for coffee, then they flaked off the day before because of religion. I'm open to meeting new and different people. Have not meet one person in person, people say they are interested in you, you respond to them and never hear back. Will never use this site again.

Match.com expert review by Mark Brooks

Match.com is one of the biggest and best-known online dating sites in the United States. It has been helping singles find partners since 1995, it now serves people in over 24 countries with sites in 15 different languages.

• Profiles may include several photos: Users can provide photos of themselves in various settings as well both full-length photos and headshots to provide the most accurate information about themselves for potential matches.

• Advanced search algorithm: Users can choose both physical and value-based attributes to search for, improving the quality of the matches they find.

• Anonymous email network: Users can email potential matches through Match.com's own messaging service, allowing them to keep their identities and contact info private until they are ready to share it

• Partners with sites in various countries: Match.com partners with personal ad sites in several countries so that international users can find their perfect match.

• Profiles are screened before being posted: Match.com staff screens profiles and photos before posting to ensure only appropriate information makes it onto the site.

• Best for: People looking for long-term relationships, people looking for short-term relationships, and people looking for a large dating pool.

Profile picture of Mark Brooks
Mark Brooks Online Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.

Match.com Company Information