Match.com

Compare Online Dating Websites & Services

Research top Online Dating Websites & Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

They auto-renewed my canceled account. I found out about it on my credit card statement. By the time I found out from that, 30 days had passed since they renewed it. Their "policy" is there are no refunds after 30 days. Further, they are not allowed to hand the complainer up to a supervisor. Basically, "that's our policy." Sucks to be you, customer. Crooked. Plain and simple. Crooked.

I have dealt with them in the past where they will not refund your money due to awful experiences. Even being solicited for paid ** they would not refund my money after I complained. Several years later (2016) I tried the site again and it was a good experience. This time around I have had my account hacked and someone was soliciting other people for money using different photos but they had gotten access to my account and changed my email address. Because of customer service issues of not being able to be contacted and they did not respond online either until three days later. And this person had access to my account and I'm not sure if they tried to make any charges to my credit card that is tied to the account.

I notified Match and I asked for a refund. They said that I could not get the refund since I had used the account and that they had supposedly secured my account again. I decided to keep using it for a little bit with absolutely the worst experience ever and men still contacting me thinking I was the girl that was emailing them because at this point they still had the messages from the other person but now my photo is up. Customer service stated that "They will not respond back to my customer service concern any longer" of my account being hacked. Now I found when I turn the auto sign in off that it still signs me in.

Also I made my profile not visible and it's still making my profile visible. I've deleted all my photos but they don't allow you to delete your card information. I asked to speak to a supervisor and I was told that they will not transfer me to a supervisor. I asked to be transferred from the Philippines to the states and they said that they would not transfer me. So both customer service on the phone and customer service via email did not help, will not refund and will not transfer you to supervisor. Which I believe is a violation of the FTC or FCC rules.

I joined that Match.com dating site last week September 2017 and was aggressively hounded to pay for a subscription because there were so many people interested in me. I also joined in Norway where I have been 8 times and may want to return to live one day. I used my email address that I use exclusively for dating sites so I have all of those likes and winks in one place!

I went to log in 3 days ago and was blocked and was given a message that my account was locked, so I wrote to find out what was going on. I was told that my case was being sent to the department that handled such issues and would be answered in 48 hours which I was not. I called customer service and they could not tell me anything. I asked to be connected to the management that was handling my case. I was told that was not possible and the only way to communicate was through email. I voiced my opinion regarding this unethical practice of not being able to speak with "my accuser" and if they wanted to validate that I am who I say I am they are welcomed to.

I then received an email response from the upper management that told me that they felt that I posed a risk to their membership and that I did not comply with their terms agreement. I looked at the terms and found nothing at all that would give anyone reason to lock me out of my account. To add insult to injury they wrote that I was being terminated from the site and also from any Match.com events!

I tried to reply with a letter asking for a specific reason as to why they were doing this to me and that this was totally unethical. I received a response that they would never respond to me! They gave me a link to write a letter to requiring my real name and a automated reason for writing to which there was no category. I read more into the terms of agreement and it was loaded with ways they can exploit members, take their money and dump them without any stated reason! I also was locked out of the site in Norway I joined. This company should not even be permitted to exist and they should be sued to the nines for these practices!

I was a member for less than one month. During this time my account was hacked four times. FOUR TIMES. Each time I had to call the Match office (inconveniently open only from 9-5) and reset not only my Match name and password, but also my EMAIL name and password. Each time my account was hacked, I lost contact with those members I had been corresponding with so essentially I had to start over with all new people 3 times (the 4th time, I just quit the site). I note that several of my correspondents also reported that THEIR accounts had been hacked.

The computer matches made for me had only a vague relationship to the criteria I established for my matches. I was looking for a single 55 year old guy from the East Coast. I was matched with women, with people on the opposite coast, with people who were 'disengaging' from their current spouse. When I finally gave up on the site after the 4th hack, I requested a refund, and was told that because I had written to ANYone on the site, I was ineligible for a refund. Company policy was firm on this point. My advice to anyone similarly afflicted by an experience on Match: do a chargeback with your credit card company and TAKE BACK your membership fee. Obviously, this is the only thing that will get the attention of this disreputable organization.

I signed up for Match.com dating service. It is a total waste of your time and energy!! My experience with the site was the worst move ever. The profiles of their people are phony! The site is NOT secure. They gave my personal information to other adult dating sites. I was contacted by dozens of other sites. I received unwanted calls as well. The responses to my profile were from people from all across the country. The ones that were close were people you could not identify, and never showed up at any function. I cancelled my membership in advance. They still billed me as a renewal. And I was told I couldn't get the charges reversed. They are un-concerned about YOU! It’s all money & member count! DO NOT SIGN UP FOR MATCH.COM, YOU WILL BE SORRY!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Match.com?

1st month at £4.99 cost £80.00. Watch out for the automatic renewal after the free trial. They can't refund a few days after the payment taken. Why not? This is after I closed down my account with them online or so I thought. I was promised £40.00 refund but this has never happened. Phoning the 3rd time after obtaining a copy of my credit statement to send on as proof of payment as requested. The customer service person after a few words, just hung up.

I have tried to cancel my membership three times, Match.com will not do it. They are a complete scam. I highly recommend you do not join. They will not let you pay as you go. They require that you give them a credit card and auto debit your account. Not to mention that I never talked to anyone that I was the least bit interested in. It is nothing more than a hookup site, as I said a complete scam.

I was not interested in continuing my service with them and went to cancel my membership only to see they had already charged me over $80 for auto renewal. I cancelled the membership and called to get a refund because I had only missed the cancellation by a few days but hadn't been active on my account since before the renewal date. I was told they were unable to refund my money because that's their policy, they could only give me a partial refund of $20. So, they stole over $60 from me and told me their system, regardless of who I speak with, doesn't allow for a full refund. This company is criminal and does not actually provide a reliable service. Avoid them at all costs!

Auto renewal is automatically turned on... When you notify them you did NOT want to be charged they refuse to delete the charge even after only TWO days since the charge posted. The renewal rate is almost TWICE the original rate!!! This is a VERY bad business model and the consumers suffer this rampant abuse.

I bought a subscription from Match.com less than 2 weeks ago and by today I was so frustrated and disgusted by the mediocre and substandard quality of their matches and by their up-sale scam that I called in to cancel and asked for a refund for the unused portion. The rep, Ryan, informed me that my membership ends in February of 2018 and they will cancel the automatic renewal thereafter, but their subscriptions are non-refundable! The package I bought for $119.00 was for $19.99 for 6 months and nowhere in the sign-up window did it indicate that it was a non-refundable charge! This company has the lowest quality of matches I've seen and they're continuously attempting to get you to sign up for more of their worthless services. I strongly hope that a class-action lawsuit will be brought against them.

Match.com reactivated my account after I had specifically gone through the steps to deactivate it. They then claimed there was no record of me cancelling it. Now I have to cancel my credit card in order for them to stop fraudulently billing it. Avoid this company at all costs!

Just want to say that I don't remember signing up for automatic renewal. I went to pay a bill this morning and was shocked to see 78$ missing from my account. I have not been using it for the last few weeks and was expecting to receive a notice before you took my money and you don't give refunds!!! I will not be using this site again and I will not recommend this rip off to anyone else. 78$ may not seem like much to you but it's one bill I can't pay this month. Also I requested men in MY AGE GROUP and IN ALBERTA. I learned the hard way texting to USA is exorbitant... And they sure like to ask for money... Thought I was cancelled but they took $78 out of my account, went over my overdraft, and won't refund the money... I DONT WANT THIS UNTIL DECEMBER 1ST.

Match.com had been charging me for three years without my knowledge then refused to pay my money back until I threatened to file a lawsuit against them. They then agreed to pay my money back but only for the recent charge. I would like to find others who are interested in filing a class action lawsuit against Match.com. These people are scum! So if there are others that are interested in getting legal ACTION AGAINST Match.com let's get this started!

Match.com will lure you in to sign up but once they have your credit card, they will charge astronomical price once your promotion is up. What they do not tell you is that you are automatically signed up for renewal and being in the bundle once your 6 month promotion is up, they double the amount they charge you for the following 6 months. They do not email you notification that your 6 months is up, they do not email you notification how much they are planning to charge you for the following 6 months. This is a dishonest practice. They will refuse any refund or partial refund if you have had any activity on your account since they have charged your credit card. This is one of the worst company cultures towards their subscribers that I have experienced. So disappointed. Be smart and careful, know what you are getting into.

Signed up with Match.com back in July. I thought it was a monthly charge and not a non-refundable year charge of $239.88. Once I logged in and saw that anything pretty much I selected they tried to upsell you and then finding out that the $239.88 was an upfront charge I cancelled... or so I thought I did. Since it was obvious the first cancellation/deactivation didn't work I filled a dispute with my credit card company and on that same day cancelled/deactivated my membership again. Of course the credit card company was no help at all and ended up adding the $239.88 back on to my credit card once Match.com provided the receipt to what I thought I cancelled. The second time I cancelled I actually received their form email with the heading "We're Truly Sorry to See You Go" but no mention of any refund whatsoever. Only a place to click to "Reactivate Account Now" thru 7/4/2018.

How are they allowed to charge a full year for only a month of service even when I thought I cancelled back at the same time or near the same time I signed up? I am sure there was something in the fine print somewhere but I surely don't remember seeing a "NO Refund" policy. Since I see so many complaints kind of on this same subject why is the Attorney General or someone not looking into their billing practices. Match.com I sure there is a refund coming back to me in the near future but with what I read by others here that looks very doubtful. If anyone has any advice or information to offer please let me know. It would be greatly appreciated.

I'm getting emails saying Lorenzo loved the email you sent him or he winked back at you. I started a profile. Never joined yet I'm emailing men? 1. I'm not paying for a membership 2. I think I'll get some more cats. I've tried to delete my profile but it will not allow me.

They deleted my account saying that I am married or in a relationship, which there is no such a thing. I signed up for 3 months and they deleted my account within a month. When I called they literally stated that they won't refund my money or prove that I am violating their terms and conditions. Simply took my money and did not respond to my emails or phone calls. They are the biggest fraud.

It is a scam! All the negative reviews are true. They renew your subscription and they keep charging your credit card! The only way is to cancel the credit card. This website uses fake profiles. Stay away from this nasty company!

This site takes your money and you get phony men contacting you. When you write back you never get a reply. I was on this site 14 years ago and it was somewhat deceiving but this is a scam. You get 11 matches without photos, you never reply to someone without a photo. This is all the time. I have complained to them and they have ignored my question of why do I get matches without photos all the time. They need to be shut down and people should get their money back. Class action suit should be helpful.

It's virtually impossible to get a refund from these people. It's so unfair for them to have such discretion in auto-renewing their members with no possibility in getting a refund if you're not using the site anymore. I had met someone, therefore not using the site, but the customer service rep told me I would get no refund because her records showed that I had gotten on the site since the renewal. Yes, I did... To hide my profile and another time to figure out how to cancel my account. I had met someone, not on Match but a different site. I then asked for a partial refund and was told "no" that I wasn't eligible. There's lots of free sites that are virtually the same. Don't get sucked into thinking that Match will be any different because people have to pay to be on the site. There's still the same amount of scammers, jerks and freaks as any other site. Never again!!!

I signed up for what I thought was 1 month of this service, but got charged a recurring fee. When I called to let Match.com customer service know I was unhappy with the service and asked about being refunded (supposed to be a money back guarantee) I was laughed at and disconnected from the call. I will never use nor recommend this service to anyone. Customer service was disrespectful, rude, and made me feel like I was extremely unimportant.

I have reported Match.com profiles that were revealed to have stock photos, or that were associated with a person that had profiles under a variety of names. I sent the Google links to the evidence along with my report and although I received a canned response from the customer service department, the profiles were allowed to continue on their site. Match.com does not protect its customers from individuals who have been identified as devious.

I had been a member of Match.com for three years with no problems. On July 29, 2017 I received an email saying that my profile changes were approved and if I hadn't made any changes then I should contact Match. When I logged on to my account sure enough there was a man's profile who lived in LA while I am a woman that lives in TX. I immediately contacted Match and they told me that this person charged a total of $71.52 (3 transactions) and that my credit card would be immediately refunded. Well two weeks go by and no refund. I then contact my credit card company and told them to dispute those charges which they did.

Fast forward to Sunday morning and I try to get on my account but I receive a message that my account has been frozen. I emailed customer care and they tell me since I disputed those charges my account was closed. Mind you those charges were made by a hacker and I was told in an email that the money would be fully refunded to me!!

I then call their 800 number the next day to talk to a customer service person and all they could say was that my account was closed due to me disputing a charge and there was nothing they could do. I tried to explain to them the whole situation but they just kept saying there was nothing they could do. Now the kicker of this whole thing is that I asked to speak to a supervisor and they said NO! Mind you this is a multi-million dollar company and there is no supervisor for me to talk to?? They said that they would review my account and it could take up to 60 days to investigate. Since I prepaid my membership for 6 months and had 3 months left on the membership I called my credit card company and told them to dispute the charges for my membership and block any other charges from them. After all why would I pay for a service that I am not getting?

I am through with Match.com and even if they say please come back as this was all a mistake that will not happen. I emailed them yesterday via their website explaining all of this but haven't heard back from anyone. Does anyone have an email address that goes directly to their corporate office? I have been in the service industry my whole life and have never encountered the so called customer service that I received on that phone call. BTW, they even sent me a survey to fill out and I crucified them! I am waiting to see how they handle the credit card disputes as I know they can tell their side to the credit card company and it can be reversed. I do have all of the emails from them telling me that I would be immediately refunded and that my account was hacked so I feel that I have a leg to stand on. If they do get the charges reversed I will be going to the media as there is a consumer reporter that I can contact.

I would not recommend this site for many of the same reasons I have read here. I wish I had read reviews before I joined the site. The matches were not a match! In addition, they auto renew you and there is not notification when the charge will be posted to your account. I canceled my membership and took down my profile the same day they auto renewed and they refused to refund the money so I was charged for 3 months for an inactive profile. My feeling is that they are not customer focused and the way that the business is conducted is unethical.

Match.com does not allow you to get any sort of refund if you wish to cancel. They will up-sell you into longer subscriptions; don't buy it! They hide behind weird policies and terms to keep profiles viewable unless they are "specifically" turned off. You are probably messaging 50% ghost accounts in my opinion. Fake profile with same usernames in multiple cities appear. "Profile unavailable" will always appear. Expect many unread messages because of all of this. Adding to all of this is the people who lie about their age and the scammers who are on the prowl and you should just avoid this site at all costs.

I highly recommend that you avoid the website at all costs. Don't get conned into signing up after a trial because someone viewed your profile or liked your picture because chances are the profile is unavailable anyway. It's a con job all the way. I hope I can save at least one person out there from making the same mistake I did. I am currently trying to dispute the 6-month subscription which they wouldn't even let me change to a 1 month even after being completely dissatisfied with the service.

I called to cancel membership after being automatically renewed and ask for refund. They checked and saw I had not logged in for months but only wanted to give me a partial refund. I am not happy with them renewing my subscription without notification and then not giving me a full refund. I find this deceitful.

I had been on there since November 2016. Had no success. I put down that I was full figured. 75% of my matched were looking for someone thin. I put down in my profile that I would not date interracial. I got people from other races. No offense but just not my thing. I set my account to not autorenew. It did not work and I got charged anyway! They refuse to do anything about it. The site is more scammers than real people. I am done with them!

I cancelled my subscription in May 2016, I made a screenshot of the page that stated my account was cancelled. May of 2017, they charged my credit card $137. I reached out to them, they got back to me stating I hadn't cancelled my account. I have attached the screenshot twice now to my reply emails and they maintain that I did not cancel my account.

It is just not the same as meeting one on your own and people lie. Photos do not tell the truth and people exaggerate about themselves. If you need a dating site you may want to have a positive change to your life.

My Match.com account was hacked by someone who sent multiple messages to other users giving them a false number to call. This person also purchased things using my credit card on the site. I had to call Match multiple times to resolve the issue, all the while the person continued to send other users messages. When the issue was finally resolved, Match.com informed me that they were unsure if all of the charges would be able to be refunded to me, which is unacceptable. If an account is hacked, they should get a full refund.

Fast forward a few days and all but 1 charge has been refunded. This led to me disputing the charge because who wants to pay for a service they never wanted or received? Now, due to the dispute, Match.com has blocked my profile without warning for at least 60 days and will not allow me to talk to anyone about the issue until the 60 days are up. It's clear that Match.com does not know how to protect their users' accounts and then will not help you to resolve the issue at all. In a world where there are multiple FREE dating websites around, with new ones popping up all the time, this is not smart. Good luck, Match!

Expert Review

Mark BrooksOnline Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.    More about Mark→

Match.com is one of the biggest and best-known online dating sites in the United States. It has been helping singles find partners since 1995, it now serves people in over 24 countries with sites in 15 different languages.

• Profiles may include several photos: Users can provide photos of themselves in various settings as well both full-length photos and headshots to provide the most accurate information about themselves for potential matches.
  • Advanced search algorithm: Users can choose both physical and value-based attributes to search for, improving the quality of the matches they find.
  • Anonymous email network: Users can email potential matches through Match.com's own messaging service, allowing them to keep their identities and contact info private until they are ready to share it
  • Partners with sites in various countries: Match.com partners with personal ad sites in several countries so that international users can find their perfect match.
  • Profiles are screened before being posted: Match.com staff screens profiles and photos before posting to ensure only appropriate information makes it onto the site.
  • Best for People looking for long-term relationships, people looking for short-term relationships, and people looking for a large dating pool.

Compare Online Dating Websites & Services