Match.com

Compare Online Dating Websites & Services

Research top Online Dating Websites & Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Match.com allows non paying members to view, like, wink, and make you their favorite. While you Pay and they don't. There are "private members" that will be interested in you but since they are "private" you can't respond back. They allow people to NOT have photos but will deny paying members photos if they aren't in them. Paying members should be allowed any photo if they aren't obscene!! This site is a waste of money. Okcupid is FREE and has a better setup.

Littered with scammers. Out of 81 people I had been in dialogue with 28 were removed by Match as 'inappropriate profiles'. The daily 'shuffle' of people were a mix of the following: out of my age range, nowhere near where I live, no photo and in some cases no information. You are eased into joining Affinity before realising it is another £40 per month (approx.) to join. Customer service not overly interested in sorting the complaint. All in all, a soul destroying experience.

Guys, do not use Match.com. They are scam. They do not even have a manager to talk to when you ask them if you could talk to one. I signed up for 6 months which they claim they charge you monthly 19.99 which is not true. They charge you all at once which comes down to 107 US so 140 CA since I live in Canada. I thought no big deal, it's ok. I had signed up monthly before so I wasn't sure how they do the monthly thing but still, I got a little concerned. After a couple of hours I called them and asked for refund. The representative goes "ok, let me see your account first, oh, you have opened the emails and sent one too, so I can't give you a refund." I said not even if it's within a couple of hours? I am charged even more than 100 US because I live in Canada. Her response was on her end its 107 US.

She basically charged me 107 US for a couple minutes of use. That's terrible!!! So I asked her if she could change it to a monthly subscription then, she claims that I used it, she goes "nope, can't do it, that's the policy". What a way to make money eh? I had to hang up on her as I could not stand her robotic, cold, sick, vampirish, voice on the phone. Shut down my profile cause of that experience. I sent them a review that I had not paid charity for a while, so I consider this as one. Hope you will be able to pay your website expenses with it. They give themselves a lot of integrity on the website which is the big first false impression. Don't trust that guys!

I called to cancel my subscription and they will still charge me an extra month even though my subscriptions expire the following day. Her excuse: it's already process. If you are looking for a date site go to eHarmony, way more professional and honest.

Interesting. As soon as my subscription {money} ran out I started getting all these "You're her favorite", "Someone just sent you a message" etc... Only problem...over a month before my subscription ran out I made my profile unable to see sooo who are these women and how and why are they contacting someone, me, they have never seen or read anything about???

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Match.com?

Match.com is deceptive in not communicating that at least 40% of their profile are actually inactive or users have deleted accounts. The profiles continue to be shown on the sites although many users are not longer active. Also, be very wary of their pricing scheme as there are hidden fees for canceling your account.

I've been on Match 6 months. I would never recommend to anyone. I never got replies. I did get a few scams. I was charge 6 months in the beginning when it was suppose to be a 7 day free trial. I was also promised the 6 month guarantee if I did not find or meet anyone in 6 months. I did everything they said required to get it the guarantee and I lost most feature after my 6 month that I paid for ran out. I also got a lot of messages like over 50 at the last min of my trial. Then to view them it wanted me to pay another 6 months. Most people would call that misleading, give all the message like that, or even a scam.

Truly not 50 plus people wanted to talk to me the min my paid trial ran up. When I paid I didn't even have 10 reply in 6 month so be aware. Their advertising on tv or radio is BS and just make a lot people feel rejected or ignored. Worst site I've ever been on. POF has free feature. It not so good either but at least you don't pay to get nothing. Match.com no stars for me or thumbs up.

I joined Match.com and another national online dating website on the same day. I used the same photos and bio on both sites. I initially used the free version of both sites but had to upgrade on Match.com to see emails (which were free on the other website. In the past three months I averaged five responses on the other site to every one response on Match. That's right, a 5 to 1 difference!!! I decided to cancel Match and followed their instructions until the process was completed on their website. However I did not receive an email confirming this but then I wasn't really looking for one not knowing I had to have it.

They auto renewed me and when I called regarding this charge the next business day, they refused to refund me my full amount. Instead they said they would give me a "one time courtesy" refund of 30%. This is a total rip-off for a site that charges for what other sites provide for free. Here's something to think about, they pay millions of dollars for all their slick media ads and they are still losing out to other online dating sites. There's a really good reason for this, bad value for the money and extremely poor customer service.

This company will continue to charge your credit card even after you disable auto-billing, and they will refuse to give you a refund. I highly recommend that you not do business with this company. Use another site or cancel the credit card that you're using to stop using this site's services. The worst.

I subscribed with Match.com for 30 days however on 1/17 I went online and cancelled my subscription (renewal date was set for 2/06). I went through the cancellation process and selected my reason for cancelling (I met someone). I submitted the request and receive a notice that the acct was cancelled. I thought no more or the site until today. I happen to check my bank acct for a salary deposit and notice a withdrawal from match for $36.99 on 2/06. I immediately called in only to have a offshore rep tell me she couldn't assist me because they were having technical issue. I was advised to go online to use the customer service chat to get assist. This made no sense to me being the system was down how would connecting with CSR by phone or via chat make a difference.

I contacted CSR via chat twice and was provided no help at all. The first CSR stated it was more than likely a tech issue and it didn't go through but policy states they can't provide refunds for any reason lol. So it's their fault but they will not take responsibility for it. The second CSR I chatted with I gave her a 1/19 cancellation date just to see if I could catch them in a lie. I again explained situation only to be told I couldn't get a refund for any reason oh and that the reason I didn't get an cancellation via my yahoo acct is because my 1/17 cancellation was not imprinted in their system. I asked her how did she know my actual cancellation date if I indeed hadn't cancelled? The CSR didn't respond back. I informed them I would be reporting this to BBB and that a claim has been submitted to my bank to retrieve funds that were taken unauthorized.

I cancelled my subscription to Match.com, however they continued to charge my credit card. Since you have to do it on their site, they will continue to charge you until they are threatened with action. They charged my card two months past when I cancelled my account. I had to contact my bank and have them intervene to get them to stop. I'm sure they do this to a vast majority of their unsuspecting clients. A class action suit should be filed against them. People beware.

This onIine service is bad news. I received about 40 responses. More than half of them had no profile available. So I had very little information about the individuals and did not want to communicate with someone that I knew nothing about. Most of the others were out of state. In my profile I said the person should be within 50 miles. I also received responses from people I did not contact. One wrote back to say her account had been hacked. I called customer service to get my money back. I was told that since I used the service already there would be no refund. I told the customer service guy to remove my credit card. He said he would not. I asked to speak to his supervisor. He refused. I eventually hung up feeling very ripped off. $119 down the drain.

Match.com is not worth the price. They charge for EVERYTHING. You get 12 "matches" a day and each day the number of selected matches that do not have a profile set up or any pics is at least 1/4 of the "perfect matches". I paid for three months of service. After two weeks I could see that this was a horrible waste of money. Very limited choices, very old members. You have to pay to be seen in prime searches. They try to sell you profile writing services. "Tips" for success all cost extra. I asked to be released out of my membership after 2 weeks. I offered to pay the premium charge for one month and have the overage refunded. No dice. They told me "Too bad. We have the money and none of it will be refunded." POF provides more choices, options and members with pics and profiles for NO CHARGE. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY HERE.

The free trial is not free. They ended up charging me for 6 months and would not refund money. Very deceitful and dishonest. Horrible website, even when I was using (what I thought) was seven day trial, I blocked a very persistent person and they were still able to send a "chat message." I really didn't like that, felt uneasy that I was unable to block someone.

I had allowed my subscription to lapse and I know I went through a process of cancelling my subscription, knowing the auto-renewal issue. I found a permanent partner via e-Harmony (which is a brilliant site by the way) and I had been in that relationship for 18 months when I noticed a payment of £77.94 taken out of my credit card account (that I used to subscribe) which looks like a 6 months subs. Now, given that my previous subs had finished more than 12 months before, this is quite obviously an odd event. Match would perhaps say it was an error. I know what I think, a very good way to raise massive amounts of cash flow capital. Please don't get involved with Match.com, they're just another bullying big company preying on the likes of you and me. And they were ineffectual in what they purport to do. E-HARMONY is the way to go.

I am very dissatisfied with my experience with Match.com. Initially, I tried to cancel my service. My laptop broke so I tried to do this from my phone. I tried both within the app and by visiting the website. I was bounced around and ultimately unsuccessful. Then, I noticed a charge on my checking account. I called the number listed immediately and spoke to a representative who informed my account had automatically renewed and this was the renewal charge. I informed I didn't want my account to be renewed and wished to cancel. The representative informed it was too late to do so. I asked for a refund and was told this was not possible because the system wouldn't allow it. I informed I never requested automatic renewal. Apparently this was pre-set.

I asked to speak to a supervisor or management and was told this was not possible. I asked for the complaint department and was told again, there was none. During my conversation with the rep, I could hear other employees in the background mocking what I was saying. The customer service I've experienced with Match, to date, has been extremely poor. The billing and renewal process is misleading. I also do not believe the system will not allow refunds.

I have a current account with Match however my account has been hacked twice. I contacted them the first time and they were somewhat helpful. I recently contacted them again and their response took over a week. They sent me a non-personalized email indicating that my password had been changed but no temporary password was sent. The next email was an invalid screen name, invalid email address and incorrect birthday. I have also had a member who was a stalker make me his "favorite". When I contacted them regarding this, all they sent was their script. I contacted them again and was told (through the script) that they were doing all they can to keep me safe. I also recommend PlentyOfFish or another site. Do NOT waste your hard earned money and time on this site.

I paid 60$ US for a 3-month subscription and after only 1 week they deleted my account without any reason. I called the support team to know what happened and they told me they are not able to tell me what happened exactly and why my account was removed. Be careful guys, it can happens to you anytime. I thought Match.com was credible but they are scammers. I'm very disappointed.

I have been online dating for about 3 years now after my divorce. Match, Ok Cupid have been the two that I use. My account has been compromised three times and it has been a nightmare. I cannot talk to a supervisor, never get any refund and the person that took control of my account was sending out 60 emails a day. I felt bad for the people that were contacted and the employees at Match just thought it was normal operating procedure. I spend most of my time apologizing to members that have received false emails from my account, 60 a day according to Match. PLEASE STAY AWAY!

In September of 2015 I subscribed to Match for one month. I was aware that you had to cancel the subscription before the month was up. I did online mistakenly. I didn't however receive confirmation and I found that today that I was supposed to. Hence I have no proof of canceling. Assuming I canceled, and not knowing I was supposed to get a confirmation email about it and after meeting someone I thought nothing more. Until today. The bank kindly informed me that Match had drawn from my account since October. $180.00 later I called and disputed the charges but they didn't care they were under no circumstances giving me my money back.

I have joined this site previously (5 years ago) and rejoined thinking it renewed and better. Not so, at all the same old faces/pictures. Asking you to pay for everything regarding communication with the so called picks. They proclaim mutual picks but if I filter I did get men 20 years my senior. The pictures are old, I mean old and the men are stale. What an incredible waste of time and money. They should not guarantee anything. I did a month and that's it. No way spending any more money with them. And oh yes watch the FAKE profiles. Too many to keep up with.

I got talked into a 6 month membership and checked my bank account 3 months in and noticed they had taken $36.35 without my consent. When I called they said I must have "accidentally " hit a button for an additional add-on. NEVER did that! She refused a refund and refused to let me talk to her boss. NEVER AGAIN! SCAMMERS!

The site itself is good and works as it is created. You message people, they can respond and what goes on after that is only in the control of the human beings behind the screen. With anonymity is the opportunity to be who or whatever you want to be. You can lie and conceal your real self and con anyone. You can be a great conversationalist, with a successful career, a great parent, and even sound like a decent person as you type up a great profile and post pictures of someone you want to look like or maybe pictures of yourself 10+ years younger. Match.com can't control a person's morals and intentions. I have met too many people who fit the above profile. I have become disenchanted with the premise of online dating and suggest that we get up and get out in the world and meet people the old fashioned way!

Buyer Beware. I have been on and off Match.com for many years and have never had a bad experience until now. Their site is NOT SECURE. Yes, you will receive MANY erroneous profiles but there is a very high risk that your account will be hacked as mine was. And when it was, Match.com was no help at all. Their response was to change your password. This tells me that this is a common occurrence for Match.com. In fact, it all started when I received an email with a link. I did not click on the link, but logged into Match.com and replied that I do not click on links. The member emailed me back that his account was hacked and he did not send that email. Match today is not the Match of yesterday. YOU WILL NOT have the same experience that you had in the past. You will block and delete more than you will ever respond to.

Having tried many dating sites I find Match.com to be the most corrupt. They actually boil my piss. The reason: they make out they are user-friendly, like

"Hey come join the party". When actually, it should be "Hey wanna a good fisting, we'll charge you the most and you probably might not notice." They come up on Facebook, again, making out that they really want to help. Do they book, they prey on lonely people. Their brand and format disgust me. I haven't been with them for eight months, look the way I still feel about them. Don't fall for that fake image they give out. They con you into thinking that there are all these gorgeous girls waiting meet you "it's really easy". It isn't at all and there aren't.

Not my words but, I am a handsome man who's interesting and witty and I struggled to get a date on this site. If you're looking to get **, then Match is for you. I'm not talking about sex with someone you like, I'm talking about corporate **, it hurts and it costs. They willfully let corrupt party's use their site for financial benefits. I'm talking about gorgeous girls sending you sexy msgs and images, luring you to just shaft you, in a bad way. All this kind of behavior upsets me.

I'm not wealthy man, this can also be a huge problem in the dating world - no money no honey! So true in the western world. As you can probably tell, I am handsome, moderately poor and bitter. If you are lonely and want to meet someone, choose your dating site carefully. Maybe ask about or look at reviews etc. Most of them will leave you feeling lonelier and poorer when they are done with you. You could just ask that lady out for a drink... go to a brothel or play a solo symphony!

Match.com seemed to me like a more grown-up version of Facebook. I felt most of the dating pool just wanted to flirt and hide behind their computers and not pursue any possible relationship. I think the dating candidates were not as high quality as could have been, I've gotten much better action from Craigslist than Match.com.

Despite five messages to Customer Care plus a phone call nothing whatsoever was done about this problem, nor did I ever receive the courtesy of a response. Here's sample. "Hello Tech Support, This is the second time in a few days I've been unable to log into my account. For some reason I was able login from a different computer about 30 minutes ago. I would like to get an explanation as to why these login problems are recurring.

There is another problem of a much more serious nature. Messages have been sent from my profile to a woman I was definitely interested in saying I was not interested. This seems to go beyond the scope of simple hacking and that some of the messages I did not send have subsequently been erased! And I do have the captured dialogues to show this has been happening. As far as I know, I don't have privileges to erase my own postings nor would anyone who simply broke into my account. I'll happily furnish the captured dialogues and am interested to know what you think may be happening. I've changed my ISP and match passwords to something unique which has never used elsewhere."

Match.com misled and misrepresented the subscription offer. They posted an offer to subscribe. I chose the 3 month option for $71.97. When my credit card was charged, they billed me for the 6 month subscription of $131.94. Even though I immediately, the same day, contacted Match.com support by telephone, they replied that there was nothing they could do to adjust my account. My contact with Match.com support was not to cancel the account but to get refunded the overage amount they charged, which I did not authorize. The manner in which Match.com chose to handle this situation made me feel that the financial transaction was more important to them than the integrity of their brand and in maintaining high customer service standards. As a result, I chose to immediately close my account.

Stay away from them. They have their policy regarding auto billing/renew of your account buried in their terms of service, and they refuse to refund even the day after you find a new charge on your credit card. It looks intentional to scam money from people that just want to try it for a month.

Called MATVH customer service to cancel my membership. I was not to happy with resort of MATCH!! They been charge me (3) month in my checking account and (3) month in my checking. I call customer service to talk to a supervise and they told no. How do these people stay in business? This is a SCAM.

Expert Review

Mark BrooksOnline Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.    More about Mark→

Match.com is one of the biggest and best-known online dating sites in the United States. It has been helping singles find partners since 1995, it now serves people in over 24 countries with sites in 15 different languages.

• Profiles may include several photos: Users can provide photos of themselves in various settings as well both full-length photos and headshots to provide the most accurate information about themselves for potential matches.
  • Advanced search algorithm: Users can choose both physical and value-based attributes to search for, improving the quality of the matches they find.
  • Anonymous email network: Users can email potential matches through Match.com's own messaging service, allowing them to keep their identities and contact info private until they are ready to share it
  • Partners with sites in various countries: Match.com partners with personal ad sites in several countries so that international users can find their perfect match.
  • Profiles are screened before being posted: Match.com staff screens profiles and photos before posting to ensure only appropriate information makes it onto the site.
  • Best for People looking for long-term relationships, people looking for short-term relationships, and people looking for a large dating pool.

Compare Online Dating Websites & Services