Match.com

Compare Online Dating Websites & Services

Research top Online Dating Websites & Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I went through a very lengthy process of cancelling my membership as I was no longer interested in what Match.com had to offer. I went from screen to screen cancelling and all the "Are You Sure?" questioning as they must think I didn't know when I want to cancel. Or is it that they hope you will assume you have reached an end point and be cancelled only to find out later that you hadn't gone far enough? A few days later, I saw on my bank card online account that I had a pending charge for 3 more months! I immediately called and spoke to a representative and told her I had cancelled a few days earlier. She asked me if I had received a cancellation e-mail. When I signed up I used an e-mail address for match.com and other online things that I don't worry about getting spammed but that I never check, so I didn't know if I had or not. I finally checked and no, I had not received a cancellation confirmation e-mail.

Since the charge had not actually gone through and was still pending and I had not been using the service, I asked if she could go ahead and cancel the charge, as it was my full intention several days before the end of my contract to cancel the contract with match.com. Basically I was told rather impudently a flat out NO! I had not cancelled and therefore I was subject to another $75.00 for another 3 months. I said I thought that was unreasonable since I had not been using the service and since I found the cancellation process deceptive and too difficult. I filed a dispute with my credit card company but match.com claims I used the service after the last day of the contract. I actually may have checked to see if I was still able to use the service but that was the extent of it.

Long story... but it appears there is no way out of another 3 months of match.com. However, even though I have been charged, I have been locked out of the service. I am paying for what I cannot even use. How can they do that? I wonder if anyone else has had this experience. Just a word to the wise, make sure you have actually completed the cancellation process, even if you THINK you did, make sure...

I called to stop my profile and billing for this upcoming year. As my marital status has changed, I do not need this site. Although my credit card was charged on June 10 and July 10th is my statement closing. I received my bill on July 14th, and when I called I was told this was outside the 30 day cycle to receive a refund and therefore all they could do is stop the charge for my deleted profile for the next year.

This is a scam. They auto renew and refuse to cancel. Hard to believe site still exists especially with all the free sites out there. Automatically billed me for a full year and refused my request to cancel.

WARNING: You will be signing up for life!! They will NEVER delete your profile. They will use it forever to advertise and send to other users as "recommended" to get you to sign up, pay $$ and upsell to added services. It took me 3 calls to customer service 800-926-2824 to get them to stop sending me notifications. I kept asking to "delete" my account and email and password etc. They said they don't have a delete button. The best they can do is just "hide" the account (so I can't see it, but they choose who they will send to) and that they will check off box to stop future notifications. THIS IS ABSURD AND ILLEGAL!!! This is MY PERSONAL INFORMATION AND PHOTOS etc. that is being exploited by this company. If there is a lawyer out there please help!!!

I found someone on their site and have been in a committed relationship for four months now. I have every belief that it could go further. However, after using their services and finding that someone special that did take a while to filter through all the odd files that did not MATCH to me. I went to my account to his, suspend, cancel, and delete my account. The subheading said there would not anymore charges to my account. I took them at their word. Till I noticed my bank kept getting debited three months in a row. I called and got it cancelled. I ask for a refund. I was told NO. I ask to speak to a supervisor. Was told No! Then was told that it didn't matter if I spoke to a supervisor or not. They are not allowed to do any refunds at all. I this time got very pissed off and started to demand to speak to a supervisor several times and was then hang up on and told that they would not transfer me at all.

I called again, same problem. Their services are good as long as you don't cancel with them and don't mind waiting a year or so to self filter through for your match. I have placed as of date a complaint with the BBB and demanding a refund for the three months of non authorize debits from my account and I'm asking for another month refund for my troubles. Also, I ask the BBB to tell them I want a hand written apology from the CEO along with an explanation for the poor customer services, and, for what kind of changes they are going to make at their next company board meeting for such poor services.

Do I realistically expect what I'm asking for to come to pass? No. I don't at all! But they will not expect what I will do if they don't do something!!! The public and the board of the company deserve to know who we the people are and what we do and do not like. As a business owner myself with over 20 years of service to the public, I've never had such horrible of an experience before in my whole life! I hope this helps those of you who read this. Good luck in your searches!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Match.com?

I signed up for Match.com to help my friend find a great guy, when I canceled the account online I was given the confirmation page and never logged in again. If my credit card had not flagged the charge as possibly fraudulent - I likely wouldn't have realized that they were continuing to charge me. I went to the online help and told them I had cancelled and they claimed no record and offered to refund 2 of the 3 months. I can see from the long list of complaints that this is their typical behavior. Someone may want to consider a class action lawsuit. NO INTEGRITY - Beware cancellation process - they keep billing.

There was a time when Match.com was king of the hill. Certainly, it had its flaws and quirks but it worked as advertised. NOT NOW. As a returning customer I know how their site works. But I was surprised that so many people who were winking at me were showing up in the "winks" section when I checked. Match will tell you that these winks are from fake accounts or that I had blocked or hidden them. But on further investigation I discovered - no. There is a major bug in the system that prevents genuine people trying to make contact from actually making contact. Their site is broken. So here I am, and I suspect 1000's of others, being denied contact with genuine people because of a bug in the system - whilst Match.com continues to take our money.

I demonstrated the issue to one of their operators, who admitted there was an issue. Then they denied there was an issue. Then maybe there was an issue, and then they denied there had ever been an issue. I spoke to a manager and asked him to contact the IT team for information. He refused to do so and challenged me to write any bad reviews I wanted. And no, he would not offer a full or partial refund or extend my membership until the fault was rectified. A month later and the fault persists. Match are not interested. So if you think that you are going to meet people, then pray that you get correct notifications because I've got a huge amount of people who'd expressed an interest in me that Match.com refused to tell me about.

Do they care? Not at all. They have my money and they think they're big enough to ride the storm. Most people won't even be aware of the problem. If you don't see people trying to get in touch then you just assume no one is getting in touch. So Match can hide behind an almost invisible fault. I found it by complete accident and discovered a round-about way of proving it. The fault is not visible by way of their site, you have to know how to show it - and then they deny it. There are better sites out there. And sites that actually function as described. I'd recommend trying them first. But if you go the way of Match.com, be prepared that (in my experience), you may never see the people who are actually interested in making contact at all - and who would waste their money on that?

I accidentally signed up for a one-month subscription for Match and accidentally hit the 6-month service instead. I contacted Match right afterwards on the "contact us" button and didn't receive a response. I followed up 3 different times. Finally found the 1800 number and talked to someone about this. Round and round we went and because my application had been "filed" they couldn't change my subscription. They acted as though there was no way possible to grant a refund because my card had gone through. The man was very rude to me on the phone and completely unwilling to help. WORST! I will NEVER recommend this service to a friend, especially with all the free services out there. If only they treated me with some respect and courtesy I might have continued to use the service. Not again.

Match.com doesn't care about helping people find partners. I only met 2 for real people out my first 6 month subscription. I met over 10 men that were only out to make me fall for them in an effort to steal my money!! These men are sharks. And now that I have looked into it, it is the same for the men, there are many women on there as sharks too. The site is basically an infestation of sharks, I won't even call them 'fake accounts' because they are real enough, in that they will write you long letters and work on getting close to you for months - only to come in for the kill so to speak where they make their pitch for money.

It is sick what Match.com has created. And so far I cannot get a refund for the $137.94 that they just charged on my account even though I wanted to cancel. They say that I have no recourse, even though they were more than happy to cancel my account for me now. So how can the charge be right for 6 months of service that I am not even receiving, I should at least be prorated a credit!!

I just realized that Match.com charged me an 3-month auto renewal every three months for the past YEAR because I failed to notice that they were doing so and stop it. Setting up my payment through PayPal.com was a big mistake (I don't check PayPal.com very often, which is my mistake, granted); the charge didn't occur on my regular bank statements, so I didn't catch it. I have paid nearly $400 to this company and the best they could offer was a "courtesy refund" of $29.00. Wow. I am so irritated with their stupid "auto-renewal" feature that is very hard to turn off (counter-intuitive, hard to log-in, hard to find). So misleading and frustrating!

There's somehow no record that I cancelled before, even though I stopped using the account when I thought my membership ended, and I could have sworn I cancelled and deactivated last year in May or June. The moral of the story is, don't use Match.com unless you want to be scammed out of your money. If you're going to use the services of Match.com, make sure you CANCEL your membership the minute you pay for it, and DON'T purchase through PayPal, or else be prepared to watch your PayPal account carefully to make sure you're not being charged without your consent.

I bought a 3 month subscription to Match.com through Groupon. I paid $68.67 for three months during the summer of 2016. It was to expire in Sept. of 2016, and would automatically renew if I did not cancel. The service was the same dull losers over and over again. So I called and canceled my service (so I didn't get billed again). Just 3 days ago I get billed again for 3 more months.

I called the number provided by my bank and spoke with someone who barely speaks English (with annoying difficulty) and come to find out they had been billing my card every three months for over a year now. They said since they had no record of me calling and canceling my membership in Sept. of 16 that they could only refund the last payment. I said "You didn't notice that I haven't used my acct in almost 10 months." So If I didn't notice them billing me every 3 months they would have continued to bill my inactive Match.com account until I figured out. DON'T TRUST THEM. THEY WANT YOU TO FORGET AND JUST KEEP PAYING. THE SERVICE IS REALLY BAD IN NASHVILLE. I MET SOME EXTREMELY NARCISSISTIC WOMEN BUT NO KEEPERS. I WILL NEVER USE MATCH.COM AGAIN!!!

When need to change my password they say "try again later". Now they have changed the format so that you don't see if the person has not been on for 3 weeks and they now just show head shots! Not only that I haven't been on Match since 2012 and it's the same men on there... with the SAME OLD PICTURE. Some even have pictures from 2000 when I met a guy but in the end he turned out to be emotionally unavailable. Never met a man like that so it took me a long time to figure it out! Not sure why these men cannot find a woman for years? There is a reason! They like companionship but that's about it. After the honeymoon phase they change.

Match will never refund you even if it is their error. The company and its website is not set up to make it easy to find a decent human being. It's gotten worse every time. This will be my 3rd time on Match. I have not posted a picture because I don't want creeps so I go to them first and the quality of men has deteriorated over the years. I hear POF has improved so may try them. They used to be a hookup site and now I heard that they are better than match.com which wouldn't be too hard to accomplish. Just be decent and do business in the ethical way and that's all it takes... ethics! It's not rocket science and customer service and a decent website that doesn't say, "Sorry we can't process your request at this time, try again later."

One of my pictures was used to create a fake Match.com profile. Which was likely used to lure in unsuspecting members. A friend of mine found the profile, contacted the person and also took a screenshot of the profile which he forwarded to me. I contacted Match.com through all available channels and could not get anyone to care. I provided the screenshot and was basically told that they could not find the profile (they can apparently do a current screen name search) or did they care. I asked them to search a history of screen names, find the person's real info and then find the person. They refused. No one would follow up, no one really had any interest in doing their job to protect the people on the site. I am not sure why people would create a fake profile but it's not for a positive reason and they are allowing someone to put their members at risk.

The site itself was fine, but wasn't anything better than a free website. The complaint I have is with their billing. I bought a six month subscription which stated that if I hadn't found "the one" after six months, they would give me a free six months. After two months I'd lost faith in the website and cancelled my subscription. The website has a cancellation page which tells you that you will no longer be charged. After the first six months was over I was charged again for a second six months. I called their customer service and raised hell, but was told that there was nothing I could do to get my money back. They have told me again that my subscription has been cancelled. I'll be looking for another charge in six months.

DON'T USE MATCH, PLEASE, DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE THAT I DID!!!! Yes, you can meet the love of your life online but Match won’t help you at all. They keep good looking profiles to sell a good image to you and make your profile more visible when you join or after re joining but that won’t take long. I used many dating apps and on Match you will find dull and ugly guys as a majority and the few good looking ones are so busy responding to the ladies that you will have to be lucky! Guys on non paid apps are also looking for smth more, don't pay for this ** company. If you find a problem they won't fix for you - SUCH AS MY SO FAR 200 POUNDS THAT THEY KEEP TAKING FROM MY ACCOUNT!

I was unaware of the fact that Match.com did an auto renewal until I saw the charge on the 1st of the month. Since it was a Saturday, I couldn't call them. I tried sending an e-mail and it was rejected since it was for a refund.Today, Monday, I called and was told I could not have a refund. I asked to speak to a manager and it was denied. I asked to speak to someone who spoke English. Again it was denied. I was offered $28.01 refund for an $83.97 charge. It was that or nothing. What a scam. DO NOT JOIN MATCH.COM.

Most of the woman's accounts are inactive. Literally have to send 100s of emails to get a few responses. Not worth it... Incidentally they now own plenty of fish so it's same situation but worse.... Send hundreds of emails get a couple responses. Company makes it perfectly clear they don't care. They also have a "F" rating with BBB.

Match.com uses continuous subscription in order to get money from subscribers. If you don't cancel the automatic renewal check box you will continue to be charged despite only wanting a time bound subscription. This is detailed in small print. Even when you do stop the automatic renewal you are bombarded with pop ups asking you to pay additional sums for additional services. These pop up are misleading and say things like 'for one month only with no need to cancel automatic renewal'. Customer Services are appalling. They read a script and have a policy of absolutely no refunds - no exceptions. This is not a love making organisation but a scam. Avoid like the plague.

This site is a complete scam. I signed on a 1 month subscription and due to a lack of suitable matches, I decided not to renew. I was surprised to discover that the subscription automatically renewed. The only reason I knew this was that I viewed it on my bank account. No receipt or transaction was sent to my e-mail. This indicates to me that this business wants to sneakily charge their subscribers and scam them out of money. When I called the customer service line they refused to assist me by refunding me the money. They cancelled my subscription for the next month and attempted to act like they had satisfied my request. When I asked what would happen with the money I already paid she advised me I would not be refunded. I expressed again that I did not want to continue the service but the representative then refused my request. I asked to speak to a supervisor and I was refused as well.

This tactic is extremely sneaky. There are literally hundreds of online dating sites. Why would I continue to use one that scams their customers out of money? The representative claimed that I should have known it would charge me but yet I did not see anywhere that I would be charged automatically again. Don't you think I would have attempted to prevent this had I known?

I signed up for the one month plan at the most expensive rate so that I wouldn't be billed for a monthly subscription. I would never have agreed to a subscription because the price was too high. There are other sites out there with better matching systems and lower prices. I didn't realize they had been billing my credit card for several months and when I realized and asked for a refund. No refunds ever! That's basically what the customer service rep said. Do not be scammed by this site! Do not sign up to pay anything. Go elsewhere.

Signed up and when I signed up I requested that they not automatically renew and debit my credit card. I spoke with someone at their office who walked me through the process online. Even though I did all of that, they ignored my request and took the $ and will not refund it. This has happened to five other people that I know. I do not recommend this site at all. I lasted a week. I had been contacted by 10 men and 8 of them were looking for money. I contacted Match and they did not really seem to care. They told me that I had to be careful. Their Canadian call centre is not in Canada. It is not even in North America. Needless to say that anytime I have contacted them, I can barely understand a word the person is saying. If you want to access your account online, there is an issue with getting to their full website from a desktop. That has been going on for three months. Perhaps the shadiest company I have ever dealt with. Stay away!

This site is a big problem. It has men on there are married, separated, or have a girlfriend. I am only looking at the women's part. This guy was dating a woman and he went out with me. He is a manager at the bedroom store in Bridgeton Missouri. His name is Ron ** from Maryland Heights MO. He took advantage of me and now, he is dating a woman and he is harassing me. So the moral of this story, is that Ron took advantage of a woman with a disability and now he is still on the site and I was asked to leave or forced to leave. I think that Match.com has their priorities screwed up. If he has a girlfriend why is he still on it? That is a big question. I can give proof that I have been disabled since I was 7 years old. Oh yeah they are affiliated with okcupid, chemistry, and many more. Match is the owner of all of them.

I tried Match.com on the advice of a friend. 1 out of 20 were real!!! I talked to my son about the weird e-mails and he suggested I look up the man's photo on google. Well none of the photos came up as having a match.com account!!! I e-mailed the men about this and guess what they were gone. I then read the reviews and the biggest problem besides being scammed was the auto billing... Thank god I used PayPal. They have an option to cancel auto payments. Please if you want to try these sites, google the picture and use PayPal!

So I check my credit card statement, and there are two charges from Match.com for a 3-month subscription. As anyone would do, I contacted my bank to dispute the 2nd charge. My Match.com is immediately shut down. When I try to contact Match.com, their "customer service" (and I use that term VERY loosely) told me that when anyone disputes a charge from Match.com, they immediately stop access to the owner's account. I was charged TWICE! They refused to let me access my account, even though I was only in the 1st month of my 3-month subscription. I have used Match.com before, but I am now thankfully going to use the many much better online dating options available. Please re-consider any memberships with this online product. I tried to dispute the second charge as well, since I did not receive the services I paid for, but they would not refund my membership.

BUYER BEWARE!!! MATCH IS AN UNETHICAL COMPANY WITH FRAUDULENT BUSINESS PRACTICES. DO NOT SUPPORT THEM WITH YOUR $$$. Tried to sign up through their site. It would not process my payment. I kept getting an error message. I tried several times, with a couple of payment choices - my credit card and PayPal (which is associated with a different email address but the SAME funding account and personal identification information. AND the email addresses are EXACTLY the same except for one is me.com and one is hotmail.com). It finally worked. I successfully purchased a 3-month subscription. Only to find later that evening that their faulty site had processed more than one payment and opened more than one profile under my name, using both email addresses and charging me hundreds of dollars!!!

Match WOULD NOT REFUND THE OVERCHARGES because they said that these were DIFFERENT ACCOUNTS!! Cited their 'policies and procedures' dictate that refunds aren't allowed! Whoa!!! This was their site's error, not mine! Their 'chat' person could clearly see in their records that the subscriptions were identical in terms of my personal information, the date and time of the purchase, and the credit card used for both were the same!!! A subscription is with a PERSON, not an EMAIL ADDRESS!!! AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, THIS WAS THEIR ERROR!!!

Their 'chat' person would not escalate my complaint nor was I allowed to actually speak to a manager!! Their 'chat' person just kept quoting from their p&p manual and then disconnected the call and disabled my ability to lodge another complaint or 'chat' with anyone else!!! Match would not take responsibility for their error which cost me hundreds of $$$!!! I'm sure that I can't be the only one this has happened to!! This company is completely unethical!!! A consumer should have the ability to speak with a person within any organization selling a service to the public and secure the refund of unauthorized funds.

This is outrageous! I repeatedly requested to speak to management and a full refund. I was hung up on. There is no phone number to actually call and speak to anyone. You are at the mercy of their 'chat' person!!! This company is unethical and fraudulent. Never, never, never support this company by purchasing a subscription. There are plenty of other services one can avail themselves of. Buyer beware!!!

Been on Match.com for 2 days and in that 2 days I received messages from different profiles but basically the same message. I blocked them and reported the email, but will anything be done about it? DOUBTFUL!!! As far as the rest of the site/service it's all BS. Once you pay you don't get any Likes, winks, interests and the ones you do get are from people you would never associate with!! It's a total waste of money. I used a rebate site so I got most of my money returned to me, so I didn't lose much. If this is the best dating site on the web (like their Ad says) I hate to see the worse!!

Match.com has an auto-renew process that can't be turned off. I turned it off last time they auto-renewed me back in December 2016, but it magically got turned back on again. I got an email 12-hours ago that I had been automatically renewed. I immediately contacted match.com where they politely told me to go F-myself. I was on the hook for another six months.

The positive about match.com is the thought that, "Hey, all the users are paying for this service, so that means that everyone on here is genuinely interested in meeting someone. People are going to take this seriously - not like those FREE sites." I've not found this to be true. Many people are screwed like I was and are trapped in the site by predatory auto-renew practices. I think they now have a free trial option, where users can have full benefits for an amount of time. So while some users are paying to have a legitimate meeting experience, they are interacting with users that have no "skin in the game". The site itself is "meh". There's really no intelligent matching system behind their "Percent match". Basically, they're just looking at things that you think you like and comparing them: "Oh, you want to date a ** woman between 30 and 40? This user is a 36 year old ** woman. You guys are a 100% match!"

Whenever I log on, I immediately get a catfish. A user with a beautiful picture sends me a "wink" and a "like" of one of my pictures. Her profile is clearly fake, with only one or two pictures and a short, basic profile with a Gmail address. Really, match.com? You can't create an algorithm that finds variations of "gmail" within the profile? When I go to report this profile, I am forced to document the details of what's wrong. I actually have to stop and write a statement about why I think the profile is false. Did I suddenly get a job as Quality Control and Cybersecurity at match.com? Where's my paycheck? There isn't an option to click that says, "Duh. Take one look. A 3-year old can see this is a fake profile." Match.com does not follow up and tell users what they are doing about this problem of fake users.

In general, online dating is set up as a meat market, not a MEET market. Match is set up in such a way that women are overwhelmed by the amount of emails they get, forcing men to either play the "numbers game" of sending out lame mass emails in the hopes of finding one person to respond. It is like being a sad witness to a real-life National Geographic documentary of the biological imperative as the male of the species indiscriminately tries to spread his seed far and wide.

Took the time to populate my profile with a detailed editorial & 26 photos with family & friends from places around the world. I then began sending messages to numerous women I was interested in. I was surprised to find I was not getting any replies so, I did some research and found out that many of the profiles are from "Free members" whom do not receive the details of messages sent from "Paying members" like me and the free members cannot send messages. There is no way to determine which are free or which are paying members so you don't know whether they are receiving your messages and/or your contact information so they cannot reply. I contacted Match.com and they confirmed the above is correct but, they would not tell me what percentage of members were free and what percentage were paying members.

Lonely, someone suggested I try Match.com. I signed up for 3 months and was enticed into 6 months with a reduced rate. After creating my profile I was given 12 matches a day to review. Most often they were the same men with a few new ones thrown in for good measure I guess. After contacting a few, I found most were posing as eligible men and many were no longer members at all. Match does NOT remove a profile once a member has terminated their membership.

I contacted Match.com via telephone after giving it a try for 3 weeks to discuss a refund due to my total dissatisfaction. I was told they could not give me a refund; I didn't qualify for a refund. The representative told me that you are only given 2 days to try it out and after 2 days you are no longer entitled to a refund. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told, "NO. The outcome would be the same." I asked several times for a supervisor or manager and was refused and told they were going to terminate the call if I asked to speak to someone else again. DO NOT USE MATCH.COM! It is a big ripoff! Save your money. If I could rate it "0" stars I would!

I signed up for one month. I didn't like the site. I felt like it was a scam and sure enough they just took $60.00 out of my account and refuse to refund it. Their courtesy to me was "we will close your account wow." MATCH.COM RIP OFF.

Expert Review

Mark BrooksOnline Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.    More about Mark→

Match.com is one of the biggest and best-known online dating sites in the United States. It has been helping singles find partners since 1995, it now serves people in over 24 countries with sites in 15 different languages.

• Profiles may include several photos: Users can provide photos of themselves in various settings as well both full-length photos and headshots to provide the most accurate information about themselves for potential matches.
  • Advanced search algorithm: Users can choose both physical and value-based attributes to search for, improving the quality of the matches they find.
  • Anonymous email network: Users can email potential matches through Match.com's own messaging service, allowing them to keep their identities and contact info private until they are ready to share it
  • Partners with sites in various countries: Match.com partners with personal ad sites in several countries so that international users can find their perfect match.
  • Profiles are screened before being posted: Match.com staff screens profiles and photos before posting to ensure only appropriate information makes it onto the site.
  • Best for People looking for long-term relationships, people looking for short-term relationships, and people looking for a large dating pool.

Compare Online Dating Websites & Services