1.10/5

2829 Match.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

In April of this year (2018), I paid for a 6 month subscription to Match.com. The terms say that if you don’t cancel before the 6 months are up, that you will be charged that amount again when it is time to renew. Before that time was up, I tried signing into my account to cancel my subscription but the email and password I always used all of a sudden wouldn’t work. I clicked to reset my password but the reset email never showed up. I went to my local bank and paid for a “stop transaction” on my account to block the name that Match used to take the money out under back in April however, when the day came to renew, they took the money out of my account under a different name which still screwed me out of my money. I contacted Match using their customer service email and phone number. Emailed them twice and never heard back.

Finally called the number and the first man hung up on me and the second woman read back my email and told me to provide her my full name and debit card number and I refused the debit card number and she turned around and told me that email address all of a sudden didn’t exist even when I have proof that they sent an email on April 16th confirming my subscription. Will be contacting federal agents this week regarding the matter. Both people on the phone could barely speak English. This company is a scam. It is hard to believe with it being one of the most popular dating websites nationwide.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Awful experience. They are just interested in taking your money and will say whatever they like. They have something called shuffle which I innocently tried. It comes up with a photo and age and you have to say yes or no to liking them. I'm polite and don't like to say that I don't like someone, particularly when I haven't seen any details of them. I was horrified to find them all in my favourites box! When I googled, it showed me how to remove them but when I tried, it wouldn't work so I called Match and they told me that they were aware of the problem and were working on it. I called 2 months later only to be told that I had been given the wrong information and that they have removed that feature. I also had very inappropriate messages from some men. If you are looking for a quality man ladies, be very careful here! Will never use Match again.

Get expert buying tips about Online Dating Sites and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

When you email people that you are interested in around your age group with common interests along with the features that they want, no one ever responds to your email. This is a total waste of my precious time. There is a reason people join the on line dating because they have a hard time meeting others. People don't review your profile as in a case with me, I was finally going to meet some one for coffee, then they flaked off the day before because of religion. I'm open to meeting new and different people. Have not meet one person in person, people say they are interested in you, you respond to them and never hear back. Will never use this site again.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Please do not subscribe to this dating site. We are in for a ride and wasted. Out of 100 profile 99 are scammers. Most ** or beggars in there claimed to be their ethnic group end up with me talking to a ** on the pretense to be Chinese and etc. What I will do is continue to string along with these scammers to kill my insomnia. Take heart friends!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

This website is a total rip off. They fail to deliver on their guarantee and when you deactivate your account to avoid recurring charges they also renege on their "I met someone guarantee." Don't spend your hard earned money on this fantasy website.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Match.com?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

The following is what I wrote them. You can copy and paste to comment on their site. I sent them this same message several times. "I would like to bring these next questions to your attention. Why are profiles with no photos shown to me when I specifically checked “ONLY matches that have photos”? I am constantly shown profiles that have no pictures. I’m beginning to think that you invent those profiles to give false hope. Would you respond to someone who sends you a like, email, or fave without a picture? I didn’t think so. Very frustrating! Also, why is it that I’m spoonfed profiles at a time? Shouldn’t I be able to see as many profiles as I wish? I find it very suspicious and dishonest on your part of not showing true Profiles of real people with photos."

"I am from Canada and have paid considerably because of the exchange in money and I find your site very deceiving and frustrating. If you want to keep your reputation as a dating site that has integrity and is genuine, I think you should automatically refuse to publish profiles that do not have pictures or of those who take pictures of themselves with boxer underwear with their junk hanging down or of a man with no clothes on. It is unfair for those who abide by your rules and respect the platform. For the past 3 days, I have been seeing the same 11 men’s profiles. When I choose the tab Mutual Match, I’m told to check later. I do check later and it is still the same message. Check later. So so frustrating. Why can’t I see more? DO NOT SEND ME PROFILES THAT HAVE NO PICTURES PLEASE."

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

The majority of profiles are inactive members then they want to charge you extra money just to see if your messages were ever read. They need to delete inactive members or at least hide them if they cannot message back. I would not recommend this site at all. It's a rip off.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Match.com also renewed my membership without my consent. I did delete my hidden profile, only to be told I would stay on their database for quite a while. They keep saying they want to help and reimbursed my money, but it's the same sad story that I must log in. How can a person log in when I deleted. It goes back to that problem of staying in their database. I feel for all those people who are honest and caring, who are genuine. I just wish we that have had problems should get closer to bring Match.com down, even when living in different countries. There are ways. I read that Match.com are not accredited with Consumeraffairs.com. I feel the sentence I just wrote says it all.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Someone hacked my site and got my personal info. Did customer service help me? No. I requested a cancellation. What did they do? They charged me for another 6 months. I asked for a refund but they wouldn't give it to me.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

This company is predatory in the sense that they make promises that they cannot keep and once you have paid for a membership, consider your money lost. The algorithms they use do not even find common matches. It only matches what you has selected as preferences, but ignores those things that you list as not acceptable. Also, if you are looking for a match local, forget it. You can set the range for your zip code to 10 miles and you still get matches several hundred miles away. In fact, it is probably a less than 10% chance that you would see 30 postings and more than 3 or 4 are local. I would have not given any stars, but that is not an option. Save your money and buy a nice dinner.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

This company is a fraud. I was hacked and instead of helping me they cancelled me and threatened me with legal action. I was angry and I let them have it because they doubted my story. My cc was accessed through their system. This is is not a safe site!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Months after meeting my wife on Match, we went back to look at my profile online. My profile had been taken over with the pictures changed. Many e-mails were being sent and received, which can only be done with membership, which I no longer had. It was pretty obvious that Match was using my fake account to hook members. I knew this was a practice, as any time I cancelled my membership, I got a flood of e-mails that required a membership to read. Fast forward to no longer with my wife. I tried to get my profile back, explaining what had happened, and was told that I couldn't have my account back.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Shiesters, they take your Money and cancel your account, I had to call my credit card company to fight it. When you call customer service they tell you they will email you in 48 hours, I’m a good person and I work hard for my money. They did this twice. Do not waste your money. This site should be shut down, ABC gave them an F. Check the reviews yourself. Shame on you, I don’t know how they get away with closing people's account for no reason. I'm going to contact the Attorney General.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

If I could give Match zero stars, I would. Please save your money and sanity, and read this review. I subscribed to Match for 3 months and immediately regretted it. It went from bad to bizarre to scary in 3 days. 1. I discovered most of my “matches” were free/unpaid subscribers — some profiles were as old as 17 years! One man had a photo dated 2001; another had a photo of himself with a laptop image of the date — 2008; another man listed his age as 48 in his profile summary but his field-generated age (the age that appears with your user name and city) was 58, meaning he probably opened an account years ago and forgot about it. When I asked Match about this, they said they keep all free accounts viewable to “expand their subscriber base.” In other words, free accounts are used to lure others in.

2. Nearly all of my “matches” did not adhere to my preferences and “deal breakers,” like gender (!), age range, ethnicity, and location. So what’s the point of filling out the preferences? 3. I immediately began receiving bizarre messages from men and women. They basically said the same thing, that they have a “friend crushing” on me and here’s their e-mail address. I received about 10 of these. Again, Match sent a blanket statement when I voiced my concerns. 4. Several times I realized some people had multiple accounts (same pics and summary, different user names). Again, another canned response from Match.

At that point I’d had it. I asked for a refund, and after some heated e-mails and a phone call from my credit card company, they relented and I received a refund after only one week after subscribing. BEWARE! Match does NOT delete or remove profiles of members who cancel and deactivate their memberships. When I cancelled and deactivated, a statement was sent via email that they “hold onto” cancelled memberships for one year “just in case.” That is downright wrong and scary.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Last year I joined Match and they charged me after I canceled my subscription which was resolved after a long hassle. I joined in 2018 knowing the steps to take when I wanted to cancel my subscription, I canceled it one month later after I join because I met someone. I went in and cancelled my subscription and took a photo of the screen that showed that I cancelled it and deleted my account. 6 months later I was charged!! I called them and they said I never canceled it. I know clearly now that they are scammers. They gave me a refund but kept $13 because they said the month already started - even though I never signed in for 6 months and thought my account was deleted this whole time! I told them that I want to be out of their system completely and to make sure my account was deleted! I would not be surprised if I get charged 6 months later lol - ridiculous and bad business practices!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I tried Match.com for around 1-2 years. In that time I only got 1 message and when me and the girl started talking, she said I could call her and then hung up. Most of the women seem fake or have ulterior motives. This site is a total scam and a ripoff. There have been many class action lawsuits filed on this website and I am in no way surprised. I will be sticking to either the free sites where at least you're not wasting your money, or just date girl. Avoid Match like the plague. They will do you no justice. If you pay for this site, you will realize how screwed up it is. So many copied profiles and women who seem like bots.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

At first, I went to Match.com out of curiosity filled in my email address and username but did not complete my profile. From then on, Match.com kept sending matches that cannot be viewed unless the subscription fee is paid. I paid my subscription fee for 3 months only to find out that the quality of match I was getting was not the ones that match my preference. I called Match.com if I could cancel my subscription but was told that it was not refundable. As I was about to log off, 3 matches suddenly appeared and seemed very interested in me. One was very persistent and said that he was new in Match.com and that his subscription was ending so he wanted to give me his email and phone number. I sent him a test mail with no message in it.

He used my email to communicate and introduced himself and sent pictures. He said he is a top notch international fund/investment manager, with MBA and educated in Germany and that I have nothing to fear as he does not have skeleton in the closet. His wife died and father died the same day when wife died over 8 years ago. His mother died last month after she went home to her birth place and that he has no more relatives except a 21 year old son who is with the Air Force and an aunt in France. After over month of communications and phone calls he talked me into joining him to invest in shares of stocks that he was trading. He promised to meet at certain dates only to tell me that he had another assignment to do.

I was asked to open a Non Resident Investment Checking Online Account with a bank in London. I was asked to wire the money to the investment company clearing house in the U.S. The bank in the U.K. opened the checking account for me for a day and stopped the test remittance I did, then the account was suspended as I was asked to remit 3% of my investment as tax clearance fee. When I asked for a copy of the stop payment, they could not produce any and then I was bombarded with phone calls from different numbers to hurry and remit the clearance money. I looked up the numbers and apparently used by scammers. This is the same number that conned quite a number of women in Match.com. The same story, different names and different pictures. From all indications, he has been using different pictures of different people.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I have been on Match for around a month. I get lots of views. Most men that write are from out of town, too young, too old, and foreign. The very young men write women without reading their profile. The older men try to get women much younger. The ones around your age just say Hello or How are you? or tell me more. Most men on Match get a lazy profile with equally bad photos. They are just checking it out. It amazes me that lazy profiles and lazy messages are so prevalent on Match. Almost all the men on Match need to pay someone to bring them into this decade of looks, clothing and how to date. Most women say the same thing.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I tried Match because I work a lot. So a family member suggested that I try the whole online dating scene. So, I thought I would give Match a try. Not even 5 min of having it, I had buyer's remorse. I tried to call and email with no luck of getting a hold of someone outside of their business hours of 8-5 m-f :(. Then when I looked at the matches, none of them matched what I really wanted. I've tried Eharmony in the past and had a similar situation of the whole buyer remorse and there was someone to talk to with no problem and they gave me a refund. I cannot believe that Match.com is like this. I wish I would have read the reviews before signing up with them. Now I am going to be out of money, because I thought I was signing up for a quality on-line dating service that ended up being a nightmare!!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Paid for subscription and have not been able to log in for months. Finally I realized I'm paying for this and I can't even access the site. So I call. Sent emails to support at Match. Then next day I do a chat with someone and explain the problem. No help at all. Tells me she's going to escalate my issue to the people at Match.com. (So who have I been talking to? An outsourced service that doesn't care, obviously.) And at the end she abruptly end the chat. I downloaded the chat history... Then I call customer service and I get an outsourced person who is obviously in the Philippines. He rambles the responses he's reading off from his manual. No emotion and no intellectual understanding of what I'm tell him. Ends the call with, "I will inform tech support about your issue." So frustrate. After paying for months of service I have been able to log in on maybe twice in the last 3 months.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I found a Groupon for 74% off the normal price. There is NO COUPON OR PROMO CODE! Once you click on the Groupon it brings you to the Match.com site. (I had already signed up earlier, just not paid. I wanted to see how the site worked prior to buying. With limited access I was happy at the time.) I will do anything to save money. So, using the Groupon was the only reason I paid! I wasn't going to pay $131.94 for a dating site that I only got to see part of and there are plenty of free sites that I could use.

Per the Groupon, the discount would be applied at time of payment. I hit the "BUY" button on the Groupon app and was sent to match.com. I went to subscribe and entered my credit card info. Again, no promo code or coupon. Btw, I have screenshots of every step including capturing the pop up in Groupon regarding no coupon & billing. I was billed immediately $131.94 which was the Labor Day weekend sale of 25% off (6 month plan).

I had to wait until after the holiday weekend to call Match. They were rude, called me a liar, kept claiming there is a place for the promo code. When I asked where it was, I was told to read multiple times. This was after the first guy just put me on infinite hold. That's how their customer service team treats people. So, they claim I will get a credit. I still haven't. It's been two days. Of course they cut off my access before we ended the call.

So, I tried the Groupon again. Keep in mind I have the time and date stamped screen shots... it took the Groupon. But the cost was the same. Instead of being 25%, it read 60% off but it's still $21.99/ month. This is highly illegal and fraud! Not to mention I want to sue them for the abuse over the phone. And, if I don't get my credit by tomorrow I want to hire an attorney. If anyone else has had this happen to you... a class action lawsuit might be what this site needs to treat people with respect and not steal their money! I got an email today from Groupon asking if I was still interested in the 74% off Groupon. I did screenshots of that as well. How many people has this company defrauded?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Don't risk using Match.com unless you want them to be taking your money even after canceling the service. I've canceled twice and still no email confirmation or anything. You cancel and they just keep charging. I canceled the same month I joined because I didn't like the site and thought it was too expensive considering it was no better than the free ones. They still charged me for the following month even though I'd canceled. This is still unresolved. I don't know how they get away with ripping people off.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I wish I would have read all the bad reviews before buying. Anyone can message you so you will get people way older, way younger and or out of state. Wish I could get my money back... Waste of money so don't buy!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I thought Match.com was trustworthy. I was wrong. Nevermind the awful site interface that is far inferior to free-to-use competitors like OKCupid. Never mind the massive number of bot profiles, the search algorithm that's only slightly better than random. Never mind the shocking $30-a-month price tag. They are legitimate scam artists. They automatically renewed my subscription (after I went out of my way to turn that function off) and charged me for four months (!!!). Now I'm out $120 for a crap service that I never used. Please, don't use Match.com. Almost any other dating site would be a better use of your time and money. They are jackals who prey on saps like me- don't be their next victim.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I joined Match.com one day and the next day kept getting men who were overseas who wanted to continue chatting but not on Match.com, or replies with email addresses and phone numbers for me to call someone else they thought would be interested in me. I requested a refund from Match.com and was told they do not refunds even with the scammers. I have reported each scammer to Match.com as I get them since I am stuck with the membership until Oct 2018. Not my idea of a good dating service website. I tried them after being catfished and was surprised that not even a day went by and it all started all over again.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I signed up for Match.com and was able to browse around for a couple of hours. After uploading my photos they blocked my account and could not give me a reason for why it was blocked. Now I'm a ** male 54 years of age but I hold my age well so most people tell me I look to be in my 30s. Anyway I have emailed these people about 5 times asking why is my account blocked and today 8/22/2018 this lady stated that she would need to escalate it up as they had already done that when I created this account back in June of 2018. Yes there are other dating sites out there but this racial profiling needs to stop! therefore I have decided to seek legal action regarding this matter. Let's see how quick Match.com can get this corrected.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I don't agree with many of you, a lot of profiles are fake, most made by cam bots. Others by the website, the long term relationship, is just showing how valuable women are to lure men in, you have to be aware of the fake stuff. It's really a waste of money.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I am a healthy, highly educated man who believes he must go out on a lot of dates before considering anything serious. The women at this site are looking for a permanent partner right upfront. If you're a handsome fellow who works out and earns six figures you can choose hundreds. However, if you're average then this site won't help you.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I thought I might have a decent experience and at least make some new friends of the opposite sex. Most messages you send are never answered. Same profiles of the same people are sent to you over and over. They trick you into automatic renewals of your subscription. Make sure to go into setting and stop auto renewals. Then when you cancel at the end of your subscription... suddenly Match sends you daily emails of all the women who are suddenly interested in you. What a scam! You can't cancel the emails or get in touch with customer support unless you pay to subscribe again! Scammers should be put out of business.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

We write all these complaints and they continue to victimize people??? I signed up for a 7 day trial but they wouldn't process the trial unless my credit card number would be able to charge the $50.00 for a month subscription with renewal? Most of the profiles are FAKE. I immediately deactivated my account since they're money hungry and don't have quality members!

Match.com expert review by Mark Brooks

Match.com is one of the biggest and best-known online dating sites in the United States. It has been helping singles find partners since 1995, it now serves people in over 24 countries with sites in 15 different languages.

• Profiles may include several photos: Users can provide photos of themselves in various settings as well both full-length photos and headshots to provide the most accurate information about themselves for potential matches.

• Advanced search algorithm: Users can choose both physical and value-based attributes to search for, improving the quality of the matches they find.

• Anonymous email network: Users can email potential matches through Match.com's own messaging service, allowing them to keep their identities and contact info private until they are ready to share it

• Partners with sites in various countries: Match.com partners with personal ad sites in several countries so that international users can find their perfect match.

• Profiles are screened before being posted: Match.com staff screens profiles and photos before posting to ensure only appropriate information makes it onto the site.

• Best for: People looking for long-term relationships, people looking for short-term relationships, and people looking for a large dating pool.

Profile picture of Mark Brooks
Mark Brooks Online Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.

Match.com Company Information