Match.com

Compare Online Dating Websites & Services

Research top Online Dating Websites & Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I also was SLAMMED for charges for another 6 months membership I didn't want. BUT I WON!!! Contact your Bank IMMEDIATELY! Wells Fargo Rocks! I called them right away! I formally disputed the charges as fraudulent and told them of the hundreds of Consumer Complaints & that this is a commonplace practice with Match. They closed my debit card & issued me a new one.

THEY THEN DEMANDED THAT MATCH REVERSE MY CHARGES AND THEY DID!!! Also, I concur with all of these other consumer complaints about the horrible non results of actually matching clients to potential dates. I am pretty and smart and got very few messages. Weeks would go by. Men didn't respond. Hello? Where are all of these eligible bachelors? Are they ghosts like others have said? Don't sign up. Save your money for manicures to stay pretty!

This site is almost 90% a scam. They have fake profiles, they have profiles that are not subscribed which makes you go thru pages to possibly find someone who is subscribed. They say folks are online or have been when they are not (friend and I tested this). The 1st few days I registered folks were reaching out to me and then all of a sudden stopped (my settings are correct). I wish now that I wouldn't have paid for this site. I was thinking since I had paid it would be a good quality site. It is just as bad or even worse than the free site. You also can not contact them unless you call them. They have the option on there to chat with someone but it doesn't work and the email doesn't either. Never recommend this site to anyone.

Automatic renewals even if I opted out on the site. No choice of disputing the charge with them. They did not return the money although the profile was deactivated and I called 24 hours after the charge was posted on my account. Use another site instead.

So my wife and I are getting a divorce. We are not separated yet, meaning that we still live in the same house. So I was checking my bank account and credit card online and I see that there is a charge to Match.com on the credit card. I obviously didn't make it, so I went to the site to see if my wife had a profile, and she did. I had to make an account to be able to search for her profile. Now, to use that site, you have to be single, divorced, or separated. So they have a little report button at the bottom of the page. I click it and tell them that she is my wife and technically, we are not separated and are still living in the same house. So what happens? MY account is deleted but they leave my wife's account up and active! I asked why me but not my wife and I get the same response over and over again - they can't give out any information about anyone's account and if I want information, I will have to file a subpoena, blah, blah, blah...

I told them that I have the credit card that she used and I can give them the number along with the security code on the back because it's my credit card! But I get the same form answer every time. So guys, remember, women can get on Match.com and lie about being separated and Match.com won't do anything to upset the fragile female clientele, but if you're a husband who just found out that your wife is meeting men behind your back via Match.com, they won't care one bit and they'll kick you off before they get rid if your wife!

I will first say the auto-renew issue that everyone is complaining about is real. But I also want to confirm Match.com's abusive treatment of subscribers who start a billing dispute with them. They lock out subscribers who have already paid, and even lost their dispute resolutions for at least 60 days. So they are stealing money from people who have paid for their service. I'm not sure why this is allowed, and why Match.com gets away with so much, even though there are thousands of similar complaints against the business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Match.com?

Well... I was blocked out of my account without notice, notification or explanation. I called their customer service many times only to be passed along to somebody else. The resolution centre resolves nothing. No one will give me an answer as to why. I think it’s because I complained about an abusive experience and I wrote about it on my profile. Then was immediately blocked. They lied to me repeatedly telling me they sent an email which they did not, that they would have someone call me within 24 to 48 hours which did not occur and it has been over 10 days.

I had taken my profile down after noticing I was not getting matches over several days. But then decided to put it back up and had no sooner added new pictures then I was blocked. So now I cannot take those pics down and I feel very victimized. I think the person who abused me made a complaint against me. But they show no fairness. None whatsoever. They will not give me an answer, will not refund my money. I get the same scripted word for word answer and I can predict just what will happen. The last woman I talked to at least heard me out and promised to escalate the investigation but alas here we are. Another lie. Another broken promise. Lesson learned. And yes, most of the contacts were bogus. I made far too many complaints I am afraid. I read the reviews beforehand btw and proceeded anyways. Stupid me.

I've found most, if not all, dating sites including Match.com, OurTime, Single Parent Meet, etc. are just a way for scam artists to try and make contact and money, especially with older and lonely widows. Constantly inundated with young women (I'm a guy) with their phone numbers written backwards on the mirror of their profile. Technology being what it is today, I've been in technology for 51 years, has far advanced since the Stone Age yet they continue to send out their Flirts, Winks and emails. It's obvious that their only concern is making money and not the welfare of their members.

I cancelled my subscription. Don't expect a refund of any sort, emailed them 13 screenshots to prove their actions and all I got in return was "Hope you come back". Not hardly. If I were younger and had more time I would start a blog letting the world know what this site is really all about. And, it's my fault, if I had used sites like this before I joined I would have never wasted my time or money. Good luck out there to you people who, like me, are still learning about how terrible society has become since the advent of the internet. All we can and should do is to spread the words "Buyer Beware".

This company offered "free 6 months if you don't find a partner" for a $150 fee; They have fine print they do not clarify, and auto charge again in 6 months without notice. All this is buried in the busy website fine print, and they DO NOT offer customers the ability to request a refund. This site should be shut down or fined for misrepresentation! They make it difficult to reach customer support, and no recourse for an unsatisfied customer! I have never done business with a company that cares less about their customers! They SHOULD NOT be in business!

I added the subscription service for 3 months. The site shows all of these additional features you can add. I viewed the text/phone option. When I opened it I noticed it downloaded my CC information. I hit back to back out as I didn't want it. Match charged me. I sent a message immediately to have the service credited to my card. 5 days later, no response, so I contacted customer service. They refused to credit me, wouldn't connect me with a manager or supervisor and hung up on me.

I've had some similar experiences as others who posted here; being matched with people that don't meet my criteria - primarily out of state, being contacted by people with incomplete profiles. When I do finally contact someone that appears to be looking for someone like me, I don't get a response making me question if the profile is real. (I didn't think of that until I saw others' comments.) Terrible service.

I highly recommend-like 20 stars. I think if you are going to get highly mature men and a lot more security for their members, I know it cost but it is security. We try and protect our children, my question is why don't you as a adult want to be protected. I was protected back a month ago and they dealt with that member and I was protected. As a consumer I think that Match is one of the highest rated in my book. I want to say thank you to match.com for giving me the protection I need.

Back in March 2017 I logged into my account and turned off the auto-renewal option, receiving a message saying that April 30, 2017 would be my last paid day. Then today (May 1, 2017) I got charged for another three months. Their customer service is horrible as they make it impossible to talk to anyone over the phone. I spent 15 minutes on the phone and the lady (who barely spoke English) said she could not transfer me to anyone (including her supervisor) and could not guarantee that anyone would call me back if I left her my number.

I then talked to a second customer service agent via the "chat" option and they too could not help me with my refund, even though I clearly explained to them that I should not have been auto-renewed. As a third attempt to get help, I emailed their customer service email explaining my problem and got an automated response referring me back to their website. I truly believe their auto-renewal option is a scam geared toward getting them to force customers into longer contracts. I am beyond disappointed with this company and will never give them another dollar. They treat their customers like trash. Stay away.

Maybe 1 out of 50 profiles is real or still active. You can tell by the picture, profile says they are 50 but picture look like they are 30. Fake profiles, women in there 20's contact men in there 40s and 50s. All of these pics are of models. You can tell they are scammers. Just for fun I started out emailing everyone I got matched to. In a week no replies, nothing. I must have sent out 300 emails.

They constantly trying to sell you extras. In the 'interested in me' section you open it and see profiles. Well if you page down slightly you will see these are just people Match thinks you might like. The only interest I ever got was from scammers, hot women in their 20s. Oh they have no preferences either. I'm not the best looking guy in the world but come on! Out of at least 500 matches no one is interested? 300 emails sent no replies? Save your money for the night clubs and bars! You're more likely to meet someone at Kmart! If you try it just sign up for a month. But I say save your money! Good luck!

I originally signed up for a 6 month membership at $80.00 and right at the 6 month mark my credit card was automatically renewed for $131.00, once I got a notification of the charge I immediately contacted Match to cancel my account. They told me that they could only credit my credit card $80. I said for a 5-day membership I am being charged $50??? They said, "That is our policy." I said that is BS, tried to file a dispute with my credit card and because I had logged into my account to call Match that was considered active use of the membership and my dispute was denied, this site is crap and defrauds its customers!! BUYER BEWARE!!!

I canceled my service 54 days into the 99 day contract. I copied and saved the confirmation information. They would not delete the account for the remainder of the contract. Then, they automatically renewed my contract! I called customer service and reached a service center outside of the US. I was told I did not cancel the service. I gave her my confirmation number and was told again, I did not cancel service.

I asked for a manager and she then proceeded to tell me the account was canceled, but I reinstated it in March (cancel was effective 4/17) I asked for a number for Customer Service in the US, and was told they couldn't do that. Then I asked for her manager 9 times. After being placed on hold for 5 minutes a manager came on to say my Acct was canceled and I would receive a portion of my fee. $20 to be exact.

Consequently, I asked for her manager 4 times for a number in the US. I was told there was nothing she could do because she had no authority and she was ending our call. Again, I asked for her manager and she hung up on me after I asked for her employee ID number. I called back and talked to a gentleman. He put me on hold and when he came back online he told me they expedited my claim and I would receive a full credit. He gave me a confirmation number and his ID number.

I will wait several days to see if the account has been credited the $71.96. I have little faith in this wretched customer service department and no faith in the "matches" provided. Use POF. It is free! And, the matches are more in line with your preferences. Match is only a match for automatic extensions of your account, in my opinion.

I joined Match.com and in order to get a price break I paid for a 6 month subscription. I was on the service for 2 weeks and met someone and took it offline. I did not continue to use the service so in short they collected 5 months for free. After 6 months was over I was unaware there was an automatic autorenewal policy and they dinged me for another 6 months. When I called they decided that they could give a partial refund but would have to charge the full one month subscription price of $51 which was 2/3 of the 6 month price. Then they expected me to right a positive review. Be careful and make sure you cancel and double check. #ScamArtists

I was charged for an additional three months after turning OFF automatic renewal. I spoke to a rep via online chat who told me that just turning off renewals isn't enough, and the unless you actually go into the account and cancel your account. I then mentioned that as this was an unauthorized charge, I was going to dispute it with my credit card. Her reply "If you do that, you will be banned for life from the site, and your credit card will also be permanently blocked." What a fraud.

Like reviews before me state, don't sign up. The "free" membership tells you that you have a large quantity of emails and people trying to contact you and that you can only respond if you have a paid membership. Well, guess what? When you activate the paid membership, you will find out that there are ZERO emails and/or people trying to reach out to you. In addition, you will also find that the profiles you were able to view of other match.com paid memberships within your search criteria are not real. They, I am a speaking of 17 profiles in my case, were all fake! It is so saddening. I personally was so excited to find a potential friend that I finally redirected some of my funds to the membership fee - and then found out that Match.com was just baiting me for money. It was more than a letdown - it really hurt. Shame on them!

I signed up for six months and was billed for 12 months. The site did not work as it would only set me up with women from other countries. I cancelled my subscription because they could not fix this problem. I asked for my money back as I only used for three days. They said too bad so sad go away. My bank statement shows they billed me for double the amount that a six month subscription should have cost. These guys are a total scam!!! Please look into it!! I am not rich so I cannot afford a lawyer. Thanks.

My ex-girlfriend seen my profile and lied to them. Tell them was married! Banned my account after my ex lied to them. Explain to customer service it's a lie, they have no proof! Other than he said she said. I even sent them my divorce papers and the customer service agent was so emotionally involved with the woman who lied! To them, that proof and logic will not work. Stay away from this company.

Match.com is a total scam and you need to be VERY CAREFUL WHEN YOU CANCEL!!! I canceled - went through the steps, my three months ran out. I also paid extra in my fee to be private. I live in a town where everyone knows everyone so wanted my privacy. Imagine my surprise when two people said they saw me online AFTER MY SUBSCRIPTION ran out/canceled! My privacy was gone. My picture now exposed with my profile for everyone to see!! I paid to be private and I was done. I got the "Sorry to see you go" email. I was furious.

The customer service rep tell me "You are a free member now and so your profile is not private." OMG! How dare they! They put me back on as "free" so I would be "lured" by all the stupid emails I got in hopes I would take the bait and sign back on with my card. How unethical! To keep a person online and to take away their privacy and I had no idea because I used a secondary email account. Beware! Please beware of this service.

I hadn't used Match.com in quite some time. I decided to start it back up, reuploaded a picture of myself and started to browse and search. The next day, I get a notice that my account has been banned and that I should look for a notice in my inbox (no notice ever arrived). Upon contacting customer service, their response was "We only allow singles to use our service". UMMM, excuse me? Did you somehow get the impression I wasn't single? How? What? Why would I use this service if I WASN'T single? I hadn't filled out anything on my profile yet other than a small paragraph and uploaded a single picture of just myself. Match service banned me just as I was starting to get interested in it again. I've been single for awhile and hadn't used Match.com over other competitors, now I DEFINITELY will never use Match.

I have no idea if my photos are still active, nor do I have any shred of trust for their service - I'm fearful for the security of all the information Match.com had access to, including my credit card information. I am beyond disgusted with Match.com's service and I am frankly appalled that such a poor service exists from such a well-known company like Match.

Automatic renewals with no warning. No choice of disputing the charge with them. No luck changing from a 6 month to a 1 month subscription. No communication with them whatsoever. Just really angry about the way they treated me. Makes you doubt the goodness in people.

Have been on Match for 1 week & have made 0 connections. The men that I was interested in never replied and since it was a few I'm led to believe they were fake accounts. Instead I keep getting matched with men that are the opposite of what I'm looking for. Why bother asking me what I'm looking for if you're constantly matching with what I'm not looking for. Paid for 1 month. Won't stay that long. Biggest waste of money. Prefer Zoosk.

Don't use this site. They charge your card automatically each month even if you sign up for 1 time monthly subscription. You have go back and cancel so that you won't get charged monthly. That is never mentioned. Plus, POF has the same individuals. Come on, why pay so much money when you get the same dating pool for free on POF. Waste of time and money. Will never use again. Very dissatisfied with this site.

It shows a bunch of people trying to get ahold of you while you're not a member then you subscribe and it's all ** false as can be. The commercial it has is a lie and it also enrolled me into auto refill so it kept charging me without my knowledge. This is a crap site. Save your money date the old fashioned way. BIG MONEY SUCKING SCAM!!!

I signed up for Match's 6 month guarantee hoping this site was better or different than other dating sites. If you aren't the most tech savvy person like myself you will have a difficult time understanding how to use the site's features properly. There is a catch to the 6 month guarantee that I was unaware of, you must email a different person pretty much every day. I did email the 10 people a month. Match claims it takes to get the 6 month for free guarantee but of course Match did not honor it saying on their records they did not show those emails. I offered to forward all of the emails I sent to prove that I did indeed send the emails. But even after talking to a supervisor all she said was she was very sorry but there is nothing she could do, which is complete garbage business practice.

Speaking of customer service, good luck getting a response or an email through to them. I tried to send them several emails but Match would not let me send a majority of them and would redirect me to a page with a lot of information on it. This was not helpful and a huge waste of time, hence why I tried to email them to begin with. This time I needed help because my account was hacked. They responded to one of my emails, and claimed to be sorry and they would try to help but they could care less about my situation. They gave me a 5 day credit when I couldn't access my account for almost 2 months!!! I was already annoyed from my first experience with customer service and then this. All Match cares about is taking your money and could care less about the customer's experience.

There is a customer service number you can call but I rarely have time to spend an hour on the phone during their business hours, which is Mon-Fri 9:00-5:00. Match, I'm so sorry that I have a job that requires little to no free time during those hours while their response was I should have contacted during those hours. Side note, everything offered on this site to boost your view ratings, stay hidden so people don't know you are online or looked at their profile, events, etc cost additional money than you have already paid. The advice from their Handle Group experts is garbage as well. It seemed like a bunch of women who have everything going for them in life give you the most obvious advice, i.e. stuff you can research on the internet for free.

Just be happy and your life will work yourself out or relationships are hard work and a dedication. Gee how much college did you go to (to) figure that all out?!?

Dating has already been highly disappointing for me and Match has made the dating experience UNBELIEVABLY worse. Please don't believe their fake commercials as I did and do yourself a favor and save your money so you don't end up wasting more of your time and money.

I have been a subscriber to Match for years without incident. I was charged $197.54 and when I looked at what I was paying for was shocked to find I was paying $57.94 for nonmembers to respond to me for free. No way to contact Match about this so I inquired via American Express about this amount. Only saying I did not recognize this charge. I have been locked out of my account since. All Match will say is my account is cancelled. So much for customer service.

I wanted to cancel Match before they renewed me for another 3 months for these horrible matches that they send you and not making any connections. I went online to my account and canceled my subscription. They said "sorry to see you go" and that I could still use the site until my subscription was up which I did. I stopped logging on and then I went to my credit card statement and they charged me $80.97 for another 3 mths. I called them and they said I never canceled and if I did I would have received an email stating that. I didn't know that I had to speak to someone to get that. Called my credit card and filed a dispute. After a few weeks I received a letter from creditor stating that Match said I never canceled and since I did not have that email they couldn't help me.

So I figured since they got my money I'll use the site until my 3 mths is up. Match blocked my account... no access. I was pissed! Last night I called my credit card dispute dept and got someone very helpful who told me that this is what Match does. If you file a dispute they get angry and punish you by locking you out of your account. How are they allowed to get away with this??? Credit card company can't help. She told me to call Match and ask them to unblock me so I did but they told me there was a 60 day waiting period. What? So many they'll let me have one month of the 3 mths I paid for already. This has to be illegal! Do not use Match… this site is a fraud.

I signed up for Match.com and within 24 hours CANCELLED. They inform me they will not refund my money despite my cancellation within 24 hours. Under the law, they cannot do that. This is FRAUD. I see thousands of similar complaints. DO NOT JOIN MATCH.

I joined Match about an month ago with high aspirations because the website looks so slick and is well known! Before I even paid for an membership my inbox was covered by supposedly pretty women that had interest in my profile. This was before I had even posted an photo. What an complete joke! I've investigated this site and there are very few real profiles but mainly fake profiles and photos that the staff there e-mail to current and future prospects and customers just to provide them false hopes and to keep the money rolling in!

This site should be shut down by the authorities. They do absolutely nothing to stop international scammers from posting fake photos and profiles to lure unsuspecting victims to send money. I don't know which is worse the scammers or Match. I guess they are both doing the same thing. Just scamming people. Shouldn't this be considered an form of terrorism if an American company promotes overseas scammers preying on the finances of Americans and otherwise? Very, very unethical company. They should be shut down!

Expert Review

Mark BrooksOnline Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.    More about Mark→

Match.com is one of the biggest and best-known online dating sites in the United States. It has been helping singles find partners since 1995, it now serves people in over 24 countries with sites in 15 different languages.

• Profiles may include several photos: Users can provide photos of themselves in various settings as well both full-length photos and headshots to provide the most accurate information about themselves for potential matches.
  • Advanced search algorithm: Users can choose both physical and value-based attributes to search for, improving the quality of the matches they find.
  • Anonymous email network: Users can email potential matches through Match.com's own messaging service, allowing them to keep their identities and contact info private until they are ready to share it
  • Partners with sites in various countries: Match.com partners with personal ad sites in several countries so that international users can find their perfect match.
  • Profiles are screened before being posted: Match.com staff screens profiles and photos before posting to ensure only appropriate information makes it onto the site.
  • Best for People looking for long-term relationships, people looking for short-term relationships, and people looking for a large dating pool.

Compare Online Dating Websites & Services