Match.com

Compare Online Dating Websites & Services

Research top Online Dating Websites & Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Beware, Match provides a box for you to decline recurring billing. This box does nothing. You must disallow billing by Match after you sign up or you will be automatically re-billed. Not for what you signed up for, but for any and all services they sell. Match is a scam. Avoid it completely.

Signed for a month and auto billed for the next even tho I deactivated my account. I finally found a number to call on the difficult to navigate site. I got a recorded message to contact the site and was disconnected. I kept getting auto responses assuming to answer questions that I never asked. I tried to contact them the very day they billed my card. 4 days later I get a reply telling me too bad and it was my fault and will not refund when obviously on their end they can see I am not using the site.

I was told that if I initiated a complaint with my financial institute they would block my card from future use on the site and delete my account. Really? After numerous replies was told to maximize my subscription time until it ends. These idiots acted like I didn't exist but my bank card did. What a scam! I never had a question answered just the same it's too bad and my fault attitude. How do these people stay in business. They obviously need the money and have to resort to these immoral tactics. This is what the world has come to! Beware!

SCAM! Don't get sucked into this company. Sign up for the free profile and you get all these message that there are likes, winks etc from local area. Subscribe and they take the whole year up front. The accounts are hookers or deleted as soon as you initiate contact or mysteriously blocked response. Try to cancel the membership and they say "thanks for your money and you aren't entitled to anything back per user policy."

Attempted to cancel with a day left in my membership period and the website would not allow me to do it. Technical glitch and I was sure to take a screenshot as proof. As they have NO customer service on weekends, I called first thing Mon morning but nope, too late, they won't give me a refund. Automatic renewal was made. I asked them how do they expect to keep customers with this kind of service? I probably would have come back someday, but now this will never happen. I immediately opened a dispute with my credit card company and will fight this one to the end. Will never pay for another dating service with plenty of free options out there. Scary!

I always set my auto renews to off whenever I join any membership service. Yet I was billed by them for $79. Now let's suppose that somehow I failed to turn off auto renew, the fact remains that I did not use their service (as in not even logged in!) for the time period they are billing for. I believe they bill in advance and I have not used not intend to use their service anymore. If Match.com believed in "doing the right thing", they would say to themselves "Ok, maybe he forgot to turn off auto renew, but obviously he has not used the account for this billed period and he obviously does not intend to, therefore the 'right thing to do' would be to issue him a credit". But no, they have no morals or ethics, they are no more than petty criminals in the way they operate their billing practices. They are nothing more than lowlife thieves!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Match.com?

I signed up for the five-day three trial. After the trial period it would be 74.35 for three months. They asked for my credit card and it wasn't to charge anything on the card. I went into my account and saw that they had already charged the account for that three month period within minutes of me signing up. I then canceled my account and got a cancellation and all from them. Now I'm fighting to get my money back from them. It was taken from my checking account which didn't have that money causing me a 32.00 charge. I wanted to check it out for the five days before deciding on keeping it. I can't believe they suppose to be one of the best out there but actually one of the worst. How can you charge my credit card without my permission to do so. I was only 10 minutes on the site when they had already taken out the money. I hope all that have had problems get their money back, and they get put out of business.

I was shocked to see a $39.99 taken from my credit for another month when I only signed up for 1 month. I called their customer service. They told me it's non refundable as it was in my account that it's an automatic renewal not unless I call them to cancel but it was not written. They said it was and is there. I had a shouting match and the customer service guy is now harassing me on my email. And his name is Kevin **.

I thought I was signing up for 3 months only and just a few days after I saw another deduction for a renewal. I called immediately to cancel and request a refund. 4 reps and 2 supervisors later, I got nowhere but a cancelled automatic renewal. Their disclaimer apparently is set up to trap clients as I see this is an ongoing complaint and the representatives are trained to say their system is not set up for reimbursements which is complete BS. There's fake profiles on Match.com as well. Just bad business and bad experience.

Match.com are a bunch of scammers and thieves. I signed up for a membership and immediately turned off the auto renewal. They still charged my credit card. I called customer support and they told me "tough - fees were non-refundable". Their service is horrible. People may be discovering that they are a scam. If they were so successful why wouldn't they refund me? What would one person's fees be to them?

Match customer care is shocking, I feel completely scammed out of my money! I signed up for 3 months at a preferential rate and didn't agree to any ongoing payments. I wasn't told more money was coming out of my account or how much. When I complained and said I no longer used the account a day after the renewal had gone through I was told by customer care 'tough' basically they wouldn't refund me. I feel scammed out of money for something I don't want. I would never use - don't make the same mistake!

This website is a total scam. They allow users to sign up for free profiles without allowing the paid users to know the difference. After fooling around with it and the frustration of messaging users that are free I decided to call and cancel the subscription. I even decided I'd be fair about it and go ahead and let them keep one month and refund the remaining two. No dice. It's against their policy. I am shocked that ANY company would even have a no refund policy such as this. This company is the definition of bad business and I hope their company goes bankrupt but it won't because the unhappy users will never get their money back.

Beware: 9 out of 10 of the matches Match.com sent to me were from people who clearly stated they were not interested in people my age. How can they claim this is a match if the person has clearly said they would have no interest in meeting someone your age? It is depressing. So women should be aware that most men are only interested in women who are younger than them and you will only get 5-10% of matches who would be interested and they will likely be significantly older than you are. Match "guarantees" so many matches a week. I suspect they just send anybody and anything to fulfill their promise and they do not care whether they are potential matches or not. They also refused to give me a refund, in spite of the fact the matches they sent are not really matches.

I opened my mail this morning to find about 75 emails from match.com, I have NEVER been to match.com in my life. I am a happily married woman, a cancer patient whom has lost her daughter. The last thing I need is a flood of emails from some site asking/telling me that there are people men & women that want me! I don't know how they received my name or email but I was afraid to go to the unsubscribe as I thought it may make it worse.

As I stated I have never visited this site nor ever joined it as they are stating I have. I am at my wits end and really getting stressed out about this, I don't know what I should do. I don't want all these emails and just the thought that possibly my emails or a picture of me is out there somewhere is making me literally sicker than I already am. I hate this match.com & would like to know how they got my info. I do shop at amazon.com frequently. I just want it to stop.

First of all, I have joined several online dating sites and have found Match to be sub par at best. I was sure to cancel my subscription before the paid period was up so as not to be automatically charged with a renewal. I found that Match still charged me for a renewal and I called to dispute it. They said they had no record of my cancelling and they did make me doubt myself. They were very convincing. BUT when I asked for a refund they refused me stating it was their policy. They charged me on November 19th and I called November 28th. I asked them to note I had not logged onto the account since the end of my membership, which they noted to be true.

I assured them I would be writing a review to express my disappointment in the company and all of the sudden they were able to offer me a $23 refund of my $80 BUT they would shorten the membership period from 3 months to 1. At that point I did not care what they did. I was livid and had made up my mind to let others know how poorly I was treated. In hind sight, they duped me and are now charging me $60 for one month vs. $80 for 3 and they took advantage of my emotional state. They are awful, conniving and the second worst dating site out there.

I joined the site and when it expired they automatically renewed it at a high cost. When I tried to fight it they froze the account and then when the dispute was done they told me my subscription expired. I was out 90$.

I really no recommend this site, the worst service ever. I tried to cancel my subscription several time and it wouldn't give me confirmation. They refused to give me a full refund and charged me for 3 months. Other businesses they refund you by email, and with them you have to call just they said no to you. The worst experience, it doesn't work, it's scam.

Match.com does not care about who they let on their site. The majority (about 65%) of matches I received were scammers! They were so obvious that it was pathetic. I can't believe that such a large majority could be on this site. Very depressing experience. Match.com has also not changed about trying to bill you after you end your subscription also.

I attempted to request a correction to an inadvertent subscription request to Match.com. On Wednesday, 23 November I had inadvertently accepted an activation for a Match.com yearly subscription. I was working off an iPad which caused an inadvertent "submit" by an inadvertent touch. I was not able to make contact Wednesday evening as the office were closed, and Thursday was the holiday, so now I am attempting to make contact today, Friday, 25 November 2016. The response I am getting from each person is "sorry, your membership is not eligible for a refund."

When I asked to speak to a supervisor, I am told, "ma'am we all work under the same policy." I am frustrated as I thought this was a valid site, and even with a deactivated membership, I am still being scammed. Have you ever gotten this... "Hey, good morning! Rise and shine! As you open your eyes to greet the morning sun, I wish that you would be well and fine. I hope you had a sound sleep. A warm "hello" doesn't come from the lips, it comes from the heart; doesn't have to be told, it has to be shown; doesn't have to be given, it has to be sent. God smiled at me just this morning through the rising sun rays. I'm sharing the same courtesy with you by sending you a warm smile that your heart can feel even without seeing. Take care and I will talk to you later." It is very unsettling that one can be scammed and charged a $250 subscription fee for something they never asked for.

No zero available. The worst service. I tried to cancel my subscription several time with my mobile android & it wouldn't give me confirmation. When I finally cancelled my subscription to Match.com the day my new subscription was to start, they refused to give me a full refund & charged me for 3 months. Many, many old & fraudulent profiles. I received many inquiries which turned out to be scammers trying to get money. The worst experience. I wouldn't use match again ever & WARNING to others for the extremely poor customer service & business practices. I have received nothing for the 3 month fee & removed all my info from the service. They keep rebilling my card.

DON'T JOIN MATCH.COM!!! I've never written a review before but after my recent treatment I had to share. THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU, ALL THEY CARE ABOUT IS YOUR MONEY!!! Details below: When you try to cancel the automatic renewal on the website, it seems to accept that you're leaving, but doesn't send a confirmation email. After doing this 10+ times, you assume that at least one of these cancellations has got through.. WRONG. (FYI - the website has also been designed in a way that even being able to email the "customer care" team is very convoluted and painful to navigate - for obvious reasons..)

A month later I got charged another £59.95 renewal fee. I contacted the Match "customer care team" as soon as I noticed on my bank account (within 14 days). Did they "care"? In short - NO! They don't care at all. Any other business would accept some responsibility for their website not working. But with Match there was no refund. No even partial refund. All you get is a generic reply (from a "Cecellia") and any further reply from the customer is automatically labelled as "Spam" in their email subject field.

Thanks Match, you definitely need to rename your "customer care" team to something more suitable.. "Customer - don't give a ** team" may be more apt. My opinion is that maybe they design their website so badly (like making it painfully hard/impossible to delete photos) in order to keep you single and get their greasy mitts on another subscription fee. Sounds cynical but if you're ever unlucky enough to use their website then you'll see what I mean...

I wish I had read some customer reviews before making the terrible decision to subscribe to Match.com. No, I'm not writing out of the bitterness of a broken heart - I didn't meet a single person I even wanted to chat with. I had an account on and off but hardly ever logged on, then decided to go for it and subscribe. BAD IDEA. I regretted it as soon as I had subscribed and got to read my emails (which were either desperate, odd, or downright creepy). I unsubscribed within hours, then panicked because I couldn't find customer service for a refund. Finally found the hoops I had to jump through, and long story short, was refused a refund.

Apparently, I was not 'eligible' for a refund. What in the ** makes you eligible, if not cancelling within five hours of subscription? I just paid over two hundred dollars for a service that I didn't even use. Horrible, detestable, scummy, disgusting, unethical company - I would call them more names, but I just threw my thesaurus out of the window in a fit of rage. DO NOT encourage them, and DO NOT give them your money, because you will not get it back. If you must try online dating go with a site that has more scruples than this one, such as crooksonline.com or scumbagsonly.com. This company deserves nothing but bad reviews, and I wish I could give it zero stars (or just the pile of doo emoji - both would be fitting).

I rarely write reviews but I feel called to writing this one for my disappointment with Match.com. I had high hopes considering I have heard some good stories. In general I have heard more disappointing ones. Here is mine. I signed up for three months and after the first one I knew the matches were not to my standard. Very slim selections. After three months I was charged again and customer service did not give full refund. I spoke to several people who work for the company and they all said the same. They don't give a full refund because a renewal is part of the initial membership signup. I did not see this fine writing on the contract. Lessons learned!

First of all, the people I met on Match were nothing to write home about - I know people who have had a good experience but it was not so for me. I hid my profile after just one month and let the remainder of the 3 mos ride out. I thought I had canceled the auto-renewal but I guess I somehow didn't complete that transaction and so when I saw the charge pending on my CC, I immediately canceled and called to ask for a refund. I talked to a very rude customer service representative who would not budge until I asked to speak with her manager, at which point she offered to refund me $8 (I was asking for a refund of $60).

I spoke with the manager who was at least less rude, but also unwilling to budge. So now I am stuck with 90 more days of a service I will not use. Total BS. I get that you're running a business and have to put policy in place, but I literally called on Day One of the 90 days, so it's not like I'm trying to get something for free here. Have some human decency.

I received a message today from a male member asking if part of my female body was real. "What a classless person" I thought to myself. I proceeded to send a member complaint and then sent him a rebuttal at his classless level. Then a few hours later was emailed my account had been terminated. What about his? Wow how sexist! I called my lawyer. This is indeed sexual harassment in my eyes. If something similar has happened to other woman could you please speak out. I know I am not alone at getting my time and money wasted.

OMG. I wasted 98 dollars of my hard earned $$$. It's been exactly 8 days. 1- bs it doesn't matched you based on your preferences. I get most twice my age. Not interested at all. I've sent Match for messages 24 hours and for the eight hours after I signed up and no one returns your messages and to make it worse I have people and being verbally abusive and I do not recommend to join.

The customer service address me by the wrong name. My name is not Michael. Their supervisor had to address me by the right name. I signed up for the three month deal for 30 dollars. Didn't know that I will be charge 60 for a renewal for more than what I signed up for. They stated that I will be charge the same amount monthly amount which I did not sign up for that. 8 bucks of refund back. This is crap. What a waste of time and money.

I went on Match.com viewed profiles and the 2 that I was interested in are bogus. They are not who they say are. So Match.com got my money and here I am. Match.com has to do a better job in making sure their applicants are real. My 2 views were very similar in jobs, their family aspect of it. The 2 were just suspect to me and once I told the other about the situation and he asked how did I find out about first applicant being a fraud, I told him I had family in the law enforcement industry, haven't heard from him since!

I can't tell you how dissatisfied I am with this site. I have on this site for 3 months. I have been contacted by so many scam artists. My problem is trying to cancel and I did. They just charged my card another time. $72.00. I was on hold for 1 hour and 10 minutes and no one came on the phone. They hope you hang up. They said in the prompting that I can't get a refund because I opened an email from them. Isn't that a little scammish. I opened the email so that I could get contact information so that I could talk to a real agent. Never happened. Their customer service is horrible. No live people. So now I'm stuck with a $72.00 charge and a useless subscription. Don't waste your money.

Great site for meeting people because of their huge user base. Make sure to call to cancel your membership. I canceled using their website which has 3 buttons that you enable/disable auto renew and when my renewal came they automatically charged my credit card even though I canceled/disabled it through their website. Called their customer support which was terrible and said they couldn't help me since it said I was on autorenewal even though I disabled that. Called my credit card company "Capital One" and disputed the charge to get my money back. Wouldn't use the site again due to the high cost and terrible customer support.

I signed up for Match on and off for about a year. I had an awesome profile as well as my pictures. I clearly described the type of man I was searching for and I never got one single match close to my expectation. I got a lot of "he's interested in you". I emailed a few that seemed somewhat interesting and I never received a courtesy reply. There are men that states that their income is above 150+. If it is true, I would assume that they can afford to pay a full subscription and polite enough to send a reply whether they are interested or not but it never happened. Most kind of men on this site are either scammers, shallow, players or losers. I am not saying all of them but a great percentage.

In order to avoid Match to charge for a renewal automatically, you need to go to your settings, click on account and cancel your renewal/subscription, then remove your profile. I would suggest to delete your pictures also. It needs to be done at least 2 weeks before your subscription expires. If you paid through PayPal, delete the credit card used for Match in your account if possible. I hope my review is able to help in some way.

Expert Review

Mark BrooksOnline Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.    More about Mark→

Match.com is one of the biggest and best-known online dating sites in the United States. It has been helping singles find partners since 1995, it now serves people in over 24 countries with sites in 15 different languages.

• Profiles may include several photos: Users can provide photos of themselves in various settings as well both full-length photos and headshots to provide the most accurate information about themselves for potential matches.
  • Advanced search algorithm: Users can choose both physical and value-based attributes to search for, improving the quality of the matches they find.
  • Anonymous email network: Users can email potential matches through Match.com's own messaging service, allowing them to keep their identities and contact info private until they are ready to share it
  • Partners with sites in various countries: Match.com partners with personal ad sites in several countries so that international users can find their perfect match.
  • Profiles are screened before being posted: Match.com staff screens profiles and photos before posting to ensure only appropriate information makes it onto the site.
  • Best for People looking for long-term relationships, people looking for short-term relationships, and people looking for a large dating pool.

Compare Online Dating Websites & Services