3.14/5
Based on 1,343 ratings submitted in the last year

2953 Match.com Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 22, 2019

This website should be taken to task as the way they go about their business is absolutely shocking and disgusting. "As soon as you join Match, we get to work. The first thing we’ll show you is a list of singles we think you’ll like. If you don’t untick these singles’ profiles we’ll add them to your favourites. You will also add singles to your Favourites by swiping right or clicking the star icon when you’re using Shuffle." I WAS NOT informed of this when I joined.

I HAVE NOT added anyone to my favourites and my list keeps getting added to. It is just plain wrong that someone thinks I like them when in fact I do not. What do I tell these people when they have finally plugged up the courage to contact me and then find out I really don't like them at all??? There is now no way for me to delete this never ending list of people who keep just getting added. You simply cannot play with people's feelings like this, especially when most members have already had very bad relationship experiences in the past. It just isn't right at all.

Original review: June 22, 2019

I haven't used or been on Match.com in a very long time. A few days ago I decided to give it another go just to find out Match.com blocked my email address. There was no explanation but only to email their support team. I did that and they said it would be 48 hrs before I got any answer. That time passed and nothing. I called and customer service was powerless. They said that it was a higher department...which they were unable to connect me to. She said she would make a note of my issue and send it to that department. Here I am 5 days later and I finally got a response with a guy basically saying they made several attempts at my questions and that that email would be their last email to me. WTF?! What a joke Match.com is! If they don't even have good customer service, I wouldn't even bother giving them your money!

Get expert buying tips about Online Dating Sites and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 20, 2019

I signed up for Match due to the assurance of the Match Guarantee that if I was unsatisfied I would get my money back. Over my usage, I found that in order to contact anyone or see their messages, you would need to upgrade - due to the limited usage, I tried cancelling through the Match Guarantee multiple times but was unable due to technical difficulties. Then I noticed they signed me up without my knowledge for the auto-renew. When I called to explain how I tried cancelling numerous times but was unable due to technical difficulties, I was essentially told "too bad". Overall, you cannot use the app without constantly upgrading and they use underhanded tactics to charge you wherever they can and have extremely poor customer service.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I had a very bad encounter with a military romance scammer on Match. He Scammed me out of hundreds of thousands of dollars. I made several reports to Match but I was ignored. I knew there was no way they could get him but some support would have gone a long way to help. I went into depression and almost took my life until I was referred to agent Wayne ** at Gmail dot com, an Independent cyber security contractor who was very helpful and instrumental in helping me get almost all my money back. I was skeptical at first but decided to give him a try and I was able to get a substantial part of my money back. If you are a victim of any kind of scam, you should contact him as soon as possible. He might be able to help you just as he helped me.

Original review: June 17, 2019

So I just paid for a 6 month subscription recently, only to find out that Match.com is pretty terrible. This will be the last time I subscribe and have done canceled my renewal. Here's why.

1)Match tries to milk every penny out of a subscriber after they've already spent a lot of money for a subscription.

2)You have no way of knowing which profiles are paid members and which ones are free members. I am a busy man and I don't want to waste my time liking and writing to women that can't even respond! And no, I am not going to waste another $60 so the free members can respond to me. Match has been totally useless thus far and I've had the worst results using this site that I'll be damned if I waste another penny. Worst results meaning zero in the first month.

3)Match.com used to have a 6 month guarantee where you would get another 6 months if you met certain criteria, but they got rid of that. Now, Match just seems to care less about its customers and more about being another cash grab dating site.

4)Buying a subscription to Match.com used to actually give you full access to the site, all its features, and you were able to communicate with all of its members. Not anymore! Buying a subscription to Match feels more like accessing a possibly decent dating site which is being hidden behind a ton of paywalls.

5) Still a ton of fake profiles, usually the decent to hot looking women with only 1 picture and bare minimum, if any, profile.

The main reason for me giving Match.com such a bad review is the fact that I paid over $100 for a 6 month subscription, only to find out that I can't communicate with everyone and that there are so many features that cost more money to be able to use. At the very least, give paid subscribers a bunch of uses to all of the features you are trying to milk your paid subscribers for! Greed is the root of all evil, and Match.com has become one of, if not the greediest of all dating sites.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Match.com?

Original review: June 14, 2019

I registered based on a subscription offer of up to 74% off and at the time received an offer of 6 mos. at $14.99pm or 3 mos. at $17.99pm. Due to a technical issue on Match's website, the subscription didn't go through. I kept a pdf copy of the offer and immediately contacted customer service. By the time they got back to me they claimed the offer was no longer available and the best they could offer was 6 mos. @ $89.96pm and 3 mos at $53.98 (supposedly 25% off). Clearly, I would not have registered at these prices, but it made no difference to Match. It took several requests to get them to delete the account. They keep information on deleted accounts according to their privacy policy even if the information was collected on false pretenses.

Original review: June 6, 2019

Almost all profiles that I planned to message turned out to have fake photos when I did a reverse lookup of them on Google Images. They were all from good-looking social media influencers with completely different names. Makes it impossible to know who's real, since the accounts are not tied to a Facebook account for example. Ended up not messaging anyone, because what's the point? Additionally, when signing up for a trial membership they will automatically convert it into a full membership that costs dozens of Euros per month. There's no email notifying you before this takes effect. Since I forgot about the website for several months, I ended up paying over €100 before I discovered this and cancelled my subscription. Was denied a refund despite not having logged in to the site during that period. Extremely dishonest and useless site.

Original review: June 4, 2019

This site is completely scam for money. Most profile on there and non-subscribers. I message them, I got no reply. It's a waste of time. I think free site is better. I have spent 6 month on match.com but couldn't a real woman on there.

Original review: June 4, 2019

I have met a man in this dating site thinking he is my soulmate. I realize he was a conman and tried to have intimate relationship to get something. Any women should do back checkup before you date. Lot of scammer and conman in this site.

Original review: June 4, 2019

Joined Match.com thinking it was the way to put myself back out there after my divorce. Well I would class myself as a good looking bloke and going from the look of my ex wife I would know the type of woman I would go for. On Match however the woman are rude and stuck up their own ** and that’s if they are even real. Then no matter how much filtering you use you get some ugly mush who is 70 years old or just so ugly her face just keeps appearing on your profile so you have to block it to keep your sanity. I’ve paid for 6 months of this rubbish and so far Cannot even get a conversation because nobody is real. I’ve joined Tinder and within 2 days had conversations with a good few ladies already. If I could I’d get a refund from Match I would but I suppose I’ve got to live with it, they should change the name to Fugly Match.Com because it’s more appropriate!!

Original review: June 1, 2019

I tried Match for 18 months. I am sorry it is nothing but a scam. Many of the links are dead ends and when I think I found someone, the conversations stop. Plus I am being billed for a premium membership when I signed up for a basic membership. Finally if my billing started in December 2017, why am I being already billed for another 6 months in May? It's not about wanting you to find your love. They just want your money.

Original review: May 31, 2019

First looking through Match it seems to be a good place to go. Well organized, clean looking, thorough questions and so on. But to look at any matches you need to make a profile, this is free of course so easy enough. To message anyone you need to pay. Usually around $20 a month with a minimum of 3 months. Cool, made a profile, reviewed matches, found a few interesting ones and subscribed. That's why you get to find out that 90% of the profiles shown are non-subscribers. This means that not only can they not read and reply to your message, they don't even get notified of it. And sending a message is the only way to know someone isn't subscribed because Match won't let people state it in their profiles. So you want to cancel your subscription, easily done. But if you send a single message or view any of your likes while subscribed for even an hour you automatically lose all rights to a refund, no matter how much you paid for it.

All in all, a massive waste of money unless you're in your 40s or older since that seems to be the only people who pay for subscriptions. It's basically a massive catfish. You're better off saving your 70+ dollars and going on OkCupid for free. At least there you only have to put up with annoying messages that don't drain your account.

Original review: May 31, 2019

After a really bad break up I decided to try Match.com. I was taking my time and slowly getting into the app. I hadn’t been on it in a couple weeks and I started getting emails saying guys were messaging me. When I logged into Match.com someone had hacked my account. There were pictures on the site that weren’t me! The hacker had liked and messaged guys I wouldn’t of messaged! When I called to try to cancel my account all they did was say they’d reset my password. It could still happen again. The men that the hacker liked and messaged were still on my account. It was humiliating. It would of been awkward to try to explain. I asked for it to be cancelled but they refused to refund my remaining time. This service is terrible. I’ll only use free site from now on because if your privacy is violated at least you can close your account without losing a bunch of money.

Original review: May 27, 2019

If you're thinking about joining Match.com open up your wallet because the fee doesn't get you anything. You have to pay extra 4 bumps to the front of the line and for people to see you. I called up to complain and they gave me 1 free boost which cost $3 for one hour for people to see you. Told me to use it during peak times. I told them that's terrible. I'm paying for this service and now I have to pay extra. I knew they were not showing me everybody and not letting me be shown. The free sites are better, save your money.

Original review: May 25, 2019

This was pathetic. I thought I was going on Match.com to find a suitable woman, which I thought I did. Guess what? The woman I thought I found turned out to be a Ghanaian scammer who stole photos of an actual US Marine. It was bad enough that I got no luck on Match.com with real women, but for Match.com to allow this fake profile to go through the cracks was unacceptable. Their failure to monitor the fake profile cost me about $100000, which I am now stuck for the next seven years. Never once did Match.com advise me of the warnings about the dangers of online dating, and being new to the dating scene, Match.com never looked out for my interests.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I installed the app yesterday, thought to give it a go as I heard it is one of the most popular apps out there. Within minutes after full registration I realized that you can only read/reply to messages if you pay for membership. I naively paid for 6 month membership as it was on 'offer', ended up paying £60 just to read the messages.

I have used the app on and off for a few hours and I have truly been scammed. All the messages are from people abroad, in broken english. Some accounts look totally fake. I have been bombarded with winks and favorites, but again, these are men hundreds of miles away and some 20+ years older than me. I have NO control as a young woman who sees my profile and who contacts me. There is no filter to contact despite paying a hefty membership fee. I have to pay £10 per month extra just to hide my profile from scammers and creepos on the app?!

Basically I am scared to use the app just looking at some of the messages I am receiving and as I have no control over who is viewing my profile and contacting me. No wonder apps like Bumble are becoming popular with young women because Match.com DOES NOT CARE and will not provide any privacy or security despite charging membership fee.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I went to Match.com's site really just to browse. But they have you create a profile even just to search. So I created a profile, did a search and saw some interesting potential matches. I considered purchasing a membership but wanted to think about it. So I typed a brief description that literally just said that I was interested in dating and a possible long term relationship with a charming male. I logged out, and when I tried to log in later to purchase a membership, I received a message that my "account" was suspended due to violation of company policies. Lol!

Obviously a mistake on their part. I sent customer service an email and they responded "Due to our terms of use, your Match account has been terminated. Due to privacy practices we cannot disclose specifics.." Had I purchased a membership they would've cheated me out of my money. Consumers beware! I've also read complaints about other online dating sites and apparently there's some systematic problem with these sites in general that cause member accounts to be deleted without proper cause, and then the sites refuse to fix the problem or give refunds. I wouldn't be surprised in class action lawsuits start to appear in the future.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I was in touch with two guys. The first one was ready to get my bank account so he could send me millions of dollars in VW stock his ailing mother in Germany gave him, sure. The second was all lovey dovey until he asked me for a $700 loan. Oh he promises to pay me back. Well to hell with Match, buyer beware. I would give zero stars if it would let me.

Original review: May 8, 2019

It's been a while but I will never use Match or any of its spin offs. Like the worst dating sites in the world they send fake messages from fake profiles to get men to buy in and sign up. Keeps the finds coming in. You can try to reach real women but there are so many men good luck ever getting a response. Online dating guarantees frustration, mismatches and lost money and time. A person is better off doing volunteer work where you can run into real people. They should call it MisMatch.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I noticed I was getting a lot of solicitation phone calls after I joined Match. They do not keep your phone # private. Also noticed they have fake members. Too many add on charges of $10.00 that should be included in the membership price. I complained but they would not refund my money, because I messaged a member - who was fake!

Original review: May 6, 2019

This site has blocked my profile after one woman decided to harass me incessantly. She even threatened to harass me to the end of the world. I filed a complaint with the police after she stalked me. Now my Match account is blocked without recourse. I was a member of Match off and on since 2004 with two long term relationships for most of that time. Match is horrible in their investigations and there is no recourse at all to get my profile, or log on. Very definitely a bad company to deal with. All I can do is try to get my money back thru the credit card company. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Original review: May 5, 2019

Site is filled with fake or inactive profiles. I've had more responses from eHarmony (surprisingly) using basically the same profile/pictures. You message away only to see something was "delivered" to a supposedly "active" profile, and they never even view yours in return! I understand some people get overwhelmed with things, or some may be free members, but if someone messaged you, you would at least see who it was, anyone can view profiles!

Original review: May 3, 2019

I signed up for Match.com and paid membership for it for 3 months. All I get is a bunch of off-shore oil drilling contractor guys contacting me. They all have the same profile and manners. Undoubtedly, they are all scams. Fortunately, I never got too far with them. They speak all kinds of nice words. What's amazing is that they are all off-shoring drilling guys. I suppose that is the best way to hide your identity being a moving target. Match.com must sub-contract its website to a third party. It seems pretty disconnected from the US website service. They would do me a great service by refunding me all the money I spent. They are just horrible. Really bad!

Original review: April 30, 2019

On March 18, 2019, after having a free account for several months, and being offered many promotional pricing offers, I finally joined Match. I paid $44.83 for three months for a Basic membership. I was receiving many likes and was contacted by many members and I responded to some of them. About 5 weeks after I joined on the week of April 22, 2019. I tried to add some pictures from my Facebook account. The next day I noticed I had a note from Match saying that I had to contact them by phone. I contacted them within 48 hours and was told that my account had been cancelled and that my money had been returned.

I asked why that had been done and was told I would receive a email within 2 days explaining the situation. I was furious. I had a date planned and I had no way to contact my date and tell him I was locked out. I did not get an email from Match until about 4 days later. On Monday, April 29 I got this message: "Unfortunately, it looks like your account may have been inadvertently disabled because of a technical error. I'm sorry that this happened. I've checked the issue and restored access to your account. To re-subscribe, choose the package you want and click on Continue. The next screen offers Premium Features if you haven’t selected a package that includes them. Select what you want and click Continue. Next, you’ll see your total charges on the right under Review your Subscription. Fill in the form on the left with your info. Make sure to review the auto-renewal policy, and then click Subscribe Now. You’re done!"

I checked the prices that were currently available and nothing matched the rate that I had previously had. I would have had two months (minus 1 week) for my original deal. I wrote them and told them I wanted my original deal, which I had paid for and been using. They refused to match that rate or give me a free month. I feel like the victim of a bait and switch scam. I plan to report them to the Better Business Bureau. Donna **.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I'm sympathetic to all these people having a bad experience on Match, but I can't relate to any of it. I've been on the site off and on for years and never had a problem. Women write me, I write them, we exchanged numbers, and I go on dates. From my perspective, it works exactly the way a dating site is supposed to.

Original review: April 28, 2019

It's a standard dating app like most others, although this one is costly and it's loaded with ads on every page you can imagine, including in-app add-ons.

The good:
You can upload pictures of yourself.
You can write a description of yourself.
You can indirectly see who has viewed your profile.
You can view, reply to, and initiate messages to other people.
There does not appear to be many bots, or fake profiles designed by those with a vested interest in making the site appear to be more successful or attractive than it is.

You can search for potential matches and include filters like body type, radius, religion, etc.

The Bad:

Ads are everywhere! Literally almost every single page you can be on. Not static ones that you can kind of dismiss, but dynamic, moving around distracting you ads. Most of the ads in your visual space are for their associates, other companies they have business agreements with. The remaining ads are to grant you access to features that most consumers would assume their monthly subscription cost would cover.

The search tool defaults to displaying profiles based on how much those profiles have paid the website, called "match picks" as opposed to common interests, distance, age, or other parameters people are concerned with. Basically if you pay to use match, you still need to keep paying if you want others to see your profile. Furthermore they don't tell you this, so you only really find out after losing money with them. Although searches will always default to showing profiles who spent extra money with this site, you can manually change it, and you'll have to do it every single time, to a more beneficial sorting display like distance, or activity date, through a non-intuitive icon as opposed to clear text.

If you like to use a phone to go online, the experience is even worse. Every time you go to sign on it will prompt you to download their app complete with even more advertisements. You have to manually X out of it, and again, and again, to get to the home page.

You can see that someone had viewed your profile on almost any screen, which is a good thing, however to see who they were you'll need no fewer than 3 clicks, and dodge no fewer than 3 other advertisements and scroll past their "boost" option to purchase, which is how a person can temporarily manipulate the default sorting display (match picks) to have a shot of showing up in front of other people.

This last "bad" thing about Match is more about the business than the product itself. It has a track record of buying out competitors that have the same features, but without a cost for users, and then making that former competitor much worse, driving former users to their own paid, and chocked full of advertisements, site.

Bottom line, it's not totally useless, but if you like advertisements dominating every screen, and and want to lose money without really knowing where it's going, you'll love this app. Otherwise stay away.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I was a Match.com member and I completed my guarantee period which entitled me to a free six month extension of my membership. Match.com charged my card anyway. I disputed the charge with my bank and Match.com took action! They closed my account, blocked me and banned me forever. They refunded the charge, but I lost my free six month service extension. All I wanted to do was prevent Match.com from illegally stealing my money. The facts speak for themselves. There aren't enough adjectives to describe how incompetent and deceitful they are!

Original review: April 18, 2019

My husband and I met on Match in 2016. A friend recently confronted me with her daily match. It was my husband. His username was different from when we met in 2016 and it showed active. When we got married it was hidden and he claimed he deleted. So I confronted him because I'm thinking wth...cheater. He claims he has not paid for it since 2016, which on the email account he claimed they verified that. He claims he had no idea it wasn't deleted and that Match.com is the one that changed his price username without him knowing anything. Now in my heart I feel my husband is really full of it. But just to make consumers aware this happen and I will be leaving him.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Towards the end of March 2019, I received a flattering offer from Match and purchased a 6 month subscription for $60 USD. All that elapsed between then and now (April 17, 2019) is as follows. Filled out my profile, which is very extensive. The bio section must be approved by a match rep. I wrote mine and tweaked it a few times but essentially the premise is the same. I filled out my profile in all senses of the word. I even had three pictures up. I was very specific about what I was seeking. What I noticed is the site doesn't follow any specific algorithms and instead, does the opposite of what you ask for. If you're looking for men between the ages of 35-41, you might get a few hits but majority are older and don't fit the criteria of what you want. Think more along the lines of creeps, angry and hostile men, narcissists, predators, etc.

The main profile picture has to reveal your face in order to be approved. Other photos can be anything as long as it's a representation of you. But, who's really going to know what's a representation of you when loads of people on the site aren't who they say they are. (Plenty of catfishing). Having been inundated by messages, several of those were off-putting to say the least. I'm still learning how to use the site and at this point, was now in contact with another user. While communicating with this person, my account gets frozen. I'm unable to access my account for a week and unable to get a hold of customer service for the days following upon discovery. When I do reach out to CR again, Carlos helps me figure out what's up. He tells me, someone had tried to access my account and has sent messages from my account! To maintain the integrity of my profile, I should reset my password, which I did.

Not even a few days pass by and I try to sign back into my account, but learn that yet again I am blocked! After multiple attempts at logging in and failing, I contact Match by email and by phone numerous times without any response until Apr 16. Then I receive an email from Sandee, vague as ever, telling me that this will be the last correspondence between us. Um, ok. Meanwhile here I am not knowing what is going on and why this is even happening, again! So, I call customer service for the tenth time and speak to Melvin. Melvin tells me that because I deleted my photos and hid my profile, it was flagged by security and the matter will need to be taken up with corporate!

Since I was communicating with an individual from Match and receiving weird messages from others, I decided to remove my photos (it made me feel uneasy knowing what was said by a user) and hid my profile because I was getting to know someone offline at this point. Melvin asked if I reported anything and I said no because this is what happens on sites. It gets better. I get numerous messages beforehand telling me that of all the profiles people have come across, mine is actually well thought-out and filled out accordingly. Many profiles have many photos up and no information while very few have information up and few pics. So in my case, for someone whom is actually interested in a long-term commitment I'm getting flagged on a continuous basis!

I explained to Melvin what my experiences thus far have been like since he told me verbatim that Match is a service intended for long-term commitment and not just a dinner and hook up. I find this to be so ironic, given the amount of people on the site who aren't actually seeking a long-term anything and are more keen on hooking up even if they pretend they're not. What led to deleting my photos was a comment made by a user, "looking at your lips and imagining what they can do" while being sexually explicit in a message! Yet I'm the one whose account is terminated and supposedly overreacting by deleting my photos. The whole situation is absurd. People who are genuinely looking for a connection get treated like this. Something is very wrong. My Match account was terminated without explanation or a conversation on Apr 17th.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I think they recruit ladies to send out messages/likes to males so that males would be motivated to pay membership. So if you report to Match about those seemingly fake lady profiles they will obviously do nothing. This is simply to boost their revenues.

Match.com expert review by Mark Brooks

Match.com is one of the biggest and best-known online dating sites in the United States. It has been helping singles find partners since 1995, it now serves people in over 24 countries with sites in 15 different languages.

• Profiles may include several photos: Users can provide photos of themselves in various settings as well both full-length photos and headshots to provide the most accurate information about themselves for potential matches.

• Advanced search algorithm: Users can choose both physical and value-based attributes to search for, improving the quality of the matches they find.

• Anonymous email network: Users can email potential matches through Match.com's own messaging service, allowing them to keep their identities and contact info private until they are ready to share it

• Partners with sites in various countries: Match.com partners with personal ad sites in several countries so that international users can find their perfect match.

• Profiles are screened before being posted: Match.com staff screens profiles and photos before posting to ensure only appropriate information makes it onto the site.

• Best for: People looking for long-term relationships, people looking for short-term relationships, and people looking for a large dating pool.

Profile picture of Mark Brooks
Mark Brooks Online Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.

Match.com Company Information