1.11/5
Based on 377 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Match.com

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 17, 2018

2671 Match.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I was a member of Match.com for a year paying monthly fees of $24 per month. I'm 45 y.o professional (former model). I received average 15 emails per day. Recently Match.com created a new application which is pop-up every time when you log-in. The paid application supposed to "boost" your profile to be more searchable/visible and promise you quadruple your emails. The pop-up gives you a choice to pay more money for some bogus "boost up to several hours" or not. How can you promise someone who did not get any emails (my neighbor) for four months to quadruple emails from members to boost the profile visibility just for a few hours?

I denied this application and new emails stopped coming for three weeks already. Members do not see my profile on the search anymore even when they searching me 5mi near my zip code. I discussed this odd situation with other two members. They are experiencing the same problem. They are not getting any new emails. Seems Match.com is not enough our monthly membership fees. Another problem. Match.com full of scam-artists. Members should be verified some way. Instead of creating new money soliciting bogus applications, Match.com owners should clean their online dating club of liars and scammers. I feel that I wasted a year from my life on Match.com. Customer service is not located in the US. You will not get a decent support/help.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I cancelled my account and deactivated my other account. I also specifically remember turning off auto-renewal. Despite this, I was still charged 59.95 - as Match.com claimed that I had two accounts and I cancelled on the wrong account. However, I had proof that the account I cancelled was the account that was currently active. Even after I was charged, they still required me to reactivate both accounts, thus causing me to potentially get charged again. Stay away from Match.com.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I had no luck with OurTime or with Match dot com and I am a very good looking woman. I believe that their profiles of men are mostly fake. Some are years old and have never changed! Also they're not very high quality. (At one time OurTime dot com and Match dot com had the same owner. I don't know if they still do. This was relevant on the dates they stole from me.) I sent a message to the manager of OurTime in Santa Fe NM because he lied to someone and said I was interested when I wasn't. This was last year, 2016-17. I complained about this and said I didn't like it at all.

I was on Match dot com in 2017-18. During the periods of time I was on these websites, I believe that the manager of both websites stole my credit card numbers even including PayPal and bought himself an "AV anti-virus program" for his personal use three different times. I know it sounds crazy but I am certain that was the person who stole from me because the dates coincide with the dates I was on these websites in the last two years. I got my money back the second and third times but I missed the first time. It cost me about $70. So, we must beware not just of the people in the mostly fake profiles but of the actual employees of Match dot com and also of OurTime dot com. I don't believe that the owners even care that their employees are stealing. My personal opinion of these websites is that they are trashy and their employees are also trashy. Years ago I had much more respect for these types of businesses but no more. Please beware!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

First company I've ever come across who is so greedy and selfish as to collect money for services that aren't used. "I'm sorry, our "policy" is that we don't issue refunds once your card is charged." How about this for a policy... offer a few days grace period for customers who forgot to turn off auto-renew, just like EVERY other company does. Greedy!!!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I deactivated my profile on Match.com a couple of months ago. They have my debit card on file and charged me $68.97 for another 3 month subscription on 2/12/18. I called and they said they could only give me a partial refund of $18, or "one month" per Daniel at ext. **. I asked to speak to a supervisor on two different phone calls on 2/13/18 and was denied both times stating that nothing would change. That way they can keep the money and have no accountability whatsoever. They took money from me when I wasn't even activated on their site and then refused to fully refund me. They said deactivating the profile wasn't the same as stopping the subscription, which is deceptive and is meant to confuse people so they can continue receiving subscriptions.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Match.com?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

As of today's date 2/13/18 I called Match to cancel/reverse the payment for 6 months. This $59.94 payment would have been for an upcoming 6 months, expiring 8/17/18. So obviously, on 2/13/18 that 6 mth period has not yet arrived. I have disputed it with my credit card company and they have reversed the amount, subject to the outcome of the dispute that could take 90 days. Buyer beware! Not only is it unethical, it's just bad business practices.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I found their site difficult use and to deactivate my account. It was not clear on either App or website. Customer service was not friendly, nor helpful with my issue. I spoke to 2 different male supervisors whom conveyed no real sense that Match.com was a people centered business. I would rate them higher but after being charged £60 for a subscription I did not want and was unable to deactivate 48 hours before they charged me. I wouldn't use them again. I certainly would not recommend to friends after speaking to the people in their offices. LACK OF SERVICE AND EMPATHY FOR THEIR CUSTOMERS.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

So I decided to check out Match.com based on what a friend had told me. I signed up less than 24 hours ago (2/13/18 @ 9:27AM current time). Since I have signed up for a three month subscription, I have received nothing but vulgar and lewd content from males on the site. I called first thing this morning to cancel the subscription and potentially get a refund (either partial and/or full) since I signed up less than 24 hours ago. I was told that I am not allowed a refund and that my information is stuck on there for the next three months since people messaged me within the last 24 hours.

So now for the next three months if I would like to check my mailbox (which I DO NOT want to at all), I will be subjected to these disgusting men sending pictures and lewd language to me. I spoke to two different people (employee #**) who informed me that there was no one higher up I could speak to about canceling this membership and that I was stuck with it for the next three months. I am sure some people have had some luck finding love using this site, however, their policies are ALL wrong. You can be sure I will be disputing this charge with my CC company! DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Very poor, discourteous, and unprofessional customer service. Don’t waste your money or time. One evening, I decided to subscribe to match.com’s site via the iPhone application & test the service out to see if I’d like it or not. The next morning I tried to log back into my account and I see an error message telling me my account has been deactivated with an email address to contact match.com’s customer service team. I then send match.com‘s customer service an email asking them why my account’s been deleted and their only response was: “Please know that due to our Terms of Use, your Match account has been terminated. Due to our privacy practices, we cannot disclose specifics about any Match account, including your own."

And decide to give me no specific details on what I specifically did to violate their terms of service or their privacy policy. My only thought was: “what could I have possibly done to violate their terms of service or their privacy policy considering that I didn’t use any profane language when communicating with the other members or request any personal information from them???” I send match.com’s customer service team another email the next day asking them for more details on what I specifically did to violate their policies and all they told me was the same thing as before saying they couldn’t give any specific details due to their so-called ‘privacy practices.’ What on earth could I have possibly done to violate match.com’s policies? Trust me folks, this site is not worth wasting your money or time over.

What could I have possibly done wrong on their site? Was it too many excessive messages I sent that one evening I decided to give match.com (and yes, I know, I’m intentionally spelling ‘match.com’ in all lowercase letters as a direct sign of contempt considering that this company does not deserve the recognition of having its title capitalized) a try which may have triggered an alert which was then transmitted to their databases? My answer is: I’ll never know until one of them tells me specifically what it was I did wrong, which, up until now, they have refused to do. Trust me guys and gals, this site is not worth it. It is not worth your money or time. There are plenty of other online dating services out there that are a much better investment of your money and time. USE them! NOT match.com!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Payment taken all at once instead of monthly, which was a HUGE surprise to me! Also, I found out after paying and having signed up that apparently there is no Canadian customer service telephone number! Only for United States! Feel very misled.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I not only had to contact the FBI and the Federal Trade Commission as well as my local Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department of outright fraud and abuse by a online scam artist seeking to glean money from potential victims with highly sophisticated romance schemes that to an average eye would go undetected unless serious damages ensued. My first experience out of the starting gate with Match.com was a man who identified himself as "Larry **'" with the gmail account of "**" and a Denver based cell phone number.

This man had an Indonesian/Malaysian American accent, insisted on meeting me as soon as possible, stated he was of Italian descent, sent me voluminous emails describing how I was his perfect match based off of everything I had listed on my profile and then made the mistake of phoning me. For it was there that I could ascertain that his story did not add up for he had written both that his father had passed away and yet he was waiting for his father to pass away both in his letters. He verified on the phone that both of his parent had passed and that his father was in the United States Air Force. This is cogent to the financial romance scheme that undoubtedly he was after because he said upon his father's death he would inherit a gold mine of diamonds and gold to "be able to share with his forever companion," on the Match.com website.

As if this was not enough, with him demanding to see me in person, he stated he did not have a camera phone but was wealthy. I wish I was kidding but I am not. It was obvious the man was pressing to meet me in person for the very least of which was to gain access to my credit cards, or worst yet, something more nefarious. It was a romance scam of the highest order and if I had not been paying astute attention to literally everything he wrote and said, I myself would have wound up another one of his victims, no doubt.

I am writing this not only to warn other potential users of match.com but worst yet, match.com does not and will not offer or give any refunds no matter what the case is. If calling the FBI and reporting this to the federal trade commission is not enough I will be sure to keep this in mind if I ever meet members of congress or the president himself to see that match.com is held liable and should at the very least offer their subscribers who were victimized by such criminal behavior their refund at minimum.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

After several emails and even a few phone calls, not one representative can answer a basic account question. They keep telling me they will "escalate" the issue, and then the next representative does the same. Complete waste of money.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Match.com make me ill. I signed up and within a few days I knew this was a waste of time. They will not give any kind of refund at all. They don't care. NO REFUNDS. P.S. NO REFUNDS. Even tried to cancel with credit card. NO HOPE. NO REFUNDS.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Of all the dating sites the web has to offer, I just HAD to pick match.com. A blunder that cost me big time! My rent was due, so I picked the middle package for 6 months (cheapest) and they wrote it was payable month by month. So how could I expect the WHOLE YEAR being taken out of my bank account? I contacted them by 'chat' and was told by Diadna, to the effect, 'tough, you play, you pay' and I would be there for one, entire year! This has me tearing out my hair!!!

My rental place has a rule... miss a rent payment and you have to walk to a Money Order place the next time and buy one for the rent. I had a knee replacement last May, then gained weight, such that any far walking will put me in such pain! I told match.com this and was told the same thing... heartless idiots. (very less strong word than the one I wanted to use.) The 'matches' are not a dream come true! They are ugly and toothless and 100 miles from where I requested them to originate. Oh give me a lawyer now!!!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Moving to a city I knew nobody, I decided to give it a try. Very stupid of me, because they were rated F by the Better Business Bureau at the time. I was so overwhelmed by fake profiles popping up to "chat," that the site was completely unusable. I got nothing but the runaround like a total scam by their non-existent customer service. After months of ignoring the BBB complaint I filed, they promised me a full refund, document attached. Then they did the same thing, as the BBB who has now taken away their accreditation, making it an F-, is their new rating.

I have an e-mail tracker, so after asking for my address "within 30 days, check is in the mail." I have proof they never even OPENED the mail. They are absolute frauds. I hope they do sue me, as over 35,000 hours of civil fraud practice, I would very much enjoy bankrupting them in a class action and disbursing their money among those who they have ripped off. They are despicable deceitful, lying frauds. I hope I did not mince words.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Match.com is a ripoff. They are nasty people who do NOT respond to problems with their site, and who will not hesitate to rip you off. And the best part? They will deluge you with false communications until you actually pay. Then, once you pay, all of a sudden, it dries up like the desert... I tried to communicate with them and they shut off my account. I couldn't even get in there to stop the auto pay, so had to go through my credit card company to cut THEM off because they kept taking my money even after I wrote to them to formally cancel. They made my blood boil and hopefully reading this will prevent yours from boiling. What a HORRIBLE company...

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

My profile was hacked and my password and profile was changed and I had no control. The person sent messages to dozens of people I would never contact defaming my profile. Match could not stop it over the weekend because there is no customer service available on weekends. I never got a refund... This is terrible and I have heard others experience the same. DO NOT TAKE THE RISK!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Be aware of SCAM continuing on MATCH.COM auto renewal. Liars and cheats. They automatically sign members for auto renewal, and charge Credit Card without notification, even though I cancel my membership, online, last June. This is not the first time I have fallen a victim of Match.com. STAY AWAY!!!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I have been on Match.ca for 2 months now, signed up for 3 and have cancelled my auto renew so hopefully no chance of being billed after 3 months. My biggest complaint that I just figured out is the number of fake profiles I am given in my daily feed or fake profiles that have "liked me" or made me their "favorite". The photos in the fake profiles are way too perfect, they are rarely or never online and of the small handful of messages I have sent to anyone on Match, a third are fake profiles. In my "sent" messages folder it advises me that the messages have "not yet been read" and I also received within a couple of days 2 different profiles, 2 different screen names and 2 model gorgeous photos of the same guy! Come on Match, you can do better than that!! I have no plans to renew and if this is what online dating looks like, I'm out.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

All I got was creepy old men trying to talk to me - they were literally my father's age. TONS OF THEM. Some normal run of the mill losers my age. Of course I only signed up for 1 month and they auto-renewed. No warning. Refused to refund me the day I was auto-renewed. No use for such an awful service so now I'm paying for nothing. Filed a claim with my CC company. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I'm stuck with Match until early Spring. I have to say when I initially signed up there was interest but that quickly faded away within days. I get a daily email of men who could or could not be my matches because when I log into my account there are never any matches there for me. I just ignore them because Match likes to give you fake matches to make you think guys are interested in you when there's no interest at all. I have not messaged anyone or if I did, I was trying to find out if they were for real. No response. They have this big flashy commercial on TV promising the moon and all you get is a trip down a dark alley. Nothing on Match for me because I can't tell what's real and what's fake. No messages from a real person so far and it's been months. The guys I was talking to all evaporated into mist, they weren't serious, they were into tricks. Half the time I log in I don't know what's going on but I know I'm not a part of it. I might as well have a dormant account. Nothing is happening in mine.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

After months of urging from a friend, she reads me multiple reviews from sites that compare online dating sites. The site offered a link for a free trial on Match.com but upon setting up a profile, you are prompted for payment. We entered my payment info with the assumption I could cancel if I didn't like it. Less than 36 hours after setting up my profile, I realize not only that I do not like the online dating scene but that I have already been charged for a six month subscription to Match.com.

I sent an email and was told they cancelled my account and were not refunding any of my money!! This is the worst customer service you can imagine. At the VERY LEAST, I would have expected them to downgrade it from a six month to a one month subscription and refund the difference. But again, I tried to cancel less than 36 hours after signing up, so I truly expected a refund and a let us know if you change your mind.” I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND MATCH.COM TO ANYONE!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

It's deceiving to advertise something as free when it is not. It is a useless site with no hope of meeting anyone unless you pay the high fees. Dating sites should be more upfront. They want the users to be honest but they are not.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I chose a 6 month subscription, from July 29 2017, today I saw a charge for another $119.94 USD on my BMO MasterCard so when I went to cancel it as I wasn't getting much good prospects on this website. I called my credit card company and they also tried to get my money back and Match would not cancel the $199.94 USD authorization for the renewal fee. So now I have paid for another 6 months until July 29 2018 and I get nothing, zip, nada! They are the worst, be careful. I think this is one way they make money off customers with their crafty no refund rules. I am very angry. I feel ripped off. I don't like the way they do business and will never return!!! I have a cancellation number # ** dated today January 29 2018 but it means nothing it seems. What scammers. Making money from people for no service!!!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I have had a Match.com account for a couple years, and had rarely if ever used it because I hate the idea of paying a pretty high fee with no guarantee. I went to log in this weekend, with the intent to try it for a month by paying, but my account had been banned. There had never been anything inappropriate on my account in any way, but they say somehow, on an account where I can’t message anyone, and basically can’t do a thing, I did something to get banned. To not, I log in to it maybe once or twice a month, at the very most. I emailed their customer service, and this is what I got back: "Thank you for contacting Match regarding the status of your Match membership. Please know that due to our Terms of Use, your Match account has been terminated. Due to our privacy practices, we cannot disclose specifics about any Match account, including your own."

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I canceled the auto-renew on my Match.com membership but Match still took money. I complained to customer service who claim to have "no record" of my cancellation. Repeated refusals to refund as there are "no glitches" with the cancellation system. They are "legally required" to tell me I can complain to the ombudsmen but actually stated they wouldn't engage with them anyway! Unbelievable. Wish I'd seen the reviews on here prior to signing up. Seems a lot of people have had issues with their "faultless" system.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

When I signed up for Match.com I stated, "I only want the 6 month trial period and do not want any automatic billing to my credit card after the 6 months is up". I just saw on my charge card statement that I was charged $8.75 for the next 6 months. I called to complain and stated I was NOT paying the bill. The rep who barely spoke English said that once the charge is posted to my charge account they have no way of refunding my money. I had the rep check the records and did acknowledge my desire NOT to continue with Match.com after the first 6 months and for my charge card NOT to be billed any further. That fell on deaf ears.

I hung up the phone in disgust and totally livid. I called my charge card company to protest the charge. I also stated that I'm a police officer and what Match.com did could be construed as "Fraud". I informed my charge card company that under no circumstances would I pay the $87.75 charge. Match.com is a lying, organization and I would recommend everyone to boycott them.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

On my profile I had my account set to not auto renew! Instead Match charged my account and then refused to refund the money. I talked to multiple people at customer service. The first two hung up on me. They have a problem with their account settings and refuse to even look at it. Will never do business with them again!! Their site deliberately takes advantage of you the consumer! One they absolutely refused to listen to what I had to say! Two they said I sent messages after my account renewed which I had not! I wasn't even in a location to have done so! They will not help you and they will lie!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Paid subscription then account was hacked because of apparent spam sent from my account which I couldn't even log into in the first place. Very unhelpful customer service basically accusing me of abusing my account. Will be in contact with the bank.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

If I could give it negative stars I would have!!! I followed the steps online to cancel my subscription a week before my renewal date. It stated my account will be open for the remaining time of my subscription. The day my subscription was up I was charged for a renewal. I called the customer service and was told they had nothing showing I had cancelled my account. They refused to refund my full amount. When asked to speak to someone else they refused. I hung up and called back and was told the same thing. Then I proceeded to tell them how I would complain online and give them bad reviews and they finally decided they COULD actually refund my money. I will still be giving my review of the company. If I could give it negative stars I would have!!!

Match.com expert review by Mark Brooks

Match.com is one of the biggest and best-known online dating sites in the United States. It has been helping singles find partners since 1995, it now serves people in over 24 countries with sites in 15 different languages.

• Profiles may include several photos: Users can provide photos of themselves in various settings as well both full-length photos and headshots to provide the most accurate information about themselves for potential matches.

• Advanced search algorithm: Users can choose both physical and value-based attributes to search for, improving the quality of the matches they find.

• Anonymous email network: Users can email potential matches through Match.com's own messaging service, allowing them to keep their identities and contact info private until they are ready to share it

• Partners with sites in various countries: Match.com partners with personal ad sites in several countries so that international users can find their perfect match.

• Profiles are screened before being posted: Match.com staff screens profiles and photos before posting to ensure only appropriate information makes it onto the site.

• Best for: People looking for long-term relationships, people looking for short-term relationships, and people looking for a large dating pool.

Profile picture of Mark Brooks
Mark Brooks

Online Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.

Match.com Company Information

www.match.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use