1.14/5

2926 Match.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 18, 2019

My husband and I met on Match in 2016. A friend recently confronted me with her daily match. It was my husband. His username was different from when we met in 2016 and it showed active. When we got married it was hidden and he claimed he deleted. So I confronted him because I'm thinking wth...cheater. He claims he has not paid for it since 2016, which on the email account he claimed they verified that. He claims he had no idea it wasn't deleted and that Match.com is the one that changed his price username without him knowing anything. Now in my heart I feel my husband is really full of it. But just to make consumers aware this happen and I will be leaving him.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Towards the end of March 2019, I received a flattering offer from Match and purchased a 6 month subscription for $60 USD. All that elapsed between then and now (April 17, 2019) is as follows. Filled out my profile, which is very extensive. The bio section must be approved by a match rep. I wrote mine and tweaked it a few times but essentially the premise is the same. I filled out my profile in all senses of the word. I even had three pictures up. I was very specific about what I was seeking. What I noticed is the site doesn't follow any specific algorithms and instead, does the opposite of what you ask for. If you're looking for men between the ages of 35-41, you might get a few hits but majority are older and don't fit the criteria of what you want. Think more along the lines of creeps, angry and hostile men, narcissists, predators, etc.

The main profile picture has to reveal your face in order to be approved. Other photos can be anything as long as it's a representation of you. But, who's really going to know what's a representation of you when loads of people on the site aren't who they say they are. (Plenty of catfishing). Having been inundated by messages, several of those were off-putting to say the least. I'm still learning how to use the site and at this point, was now in contact with another user. While communicating with this person, my account gets frozen. I'm unable to access my account for a week and unable to get a hold of customer service for the days following upon discovery. When I do reach out to CR again, Carlos helps me figure out what's up. He tells me, someone had tried to access my account and has sent messages from my account! To maintain the integrity of my profile, I should reset my password, which I did.

Not even a few days pass by and I try to sign back into my account, but learn that yet again I am blocked! After multiple attempts at logging in and failing, I contact Match by email and by phone numerous times without any response until Apr 16. Then I receive an email from Sandee, vague as ever, telling me that this will be the last correspondence between us. Um, ok. Meanwhile here I am not knowing what is going on and why this is even happening, again! So, I call customer service for the tenth time and speak to Melvin. Melvin tells me that because I deleted my photos and hid my profile, it was flagged by security and the matter will need to be taken up with corporate!

Since I was communicating with an individual from Match and receiving weird messages from others, I decided to remove my photos (it made me feel uneasy knowing what was said by a user) and hid my profile because I was getting to know someone offline at this point. Melvin asked if I reported anything and I said no because this is what happens on sites. It gets better. I get numerous messages beforehand telling me that of all the profiles people have come across, mine is actually well thought-out and filled out accordingly. Many profiles have many photos up and no information while very few have information up and few pics. So in my case, for someone whom is actually interested in a long-term commitment I'm getting flagged on a continuous basis!

I explained to Melvin what my experiences thus far have been like since he told me verbatim that Match is a service intended for long-term commitment and not just a dinner and hook up. I find this to be so ironic, given the amount of people on the site who aren't actually seeking a long-term anything and are more keen on hooking up even if they pretend they're not. What led to deleting my photos was a comment made by a user, "looking at your lips and imagining what they can do" while being sexually explicit in a message! Yet I'm the one whose account is terminated and supposedly overreacting by deleting my photos. The whole situation is absurd. People who are genuinely looking for a connection get treated like this. Something is very wrong. My Match account was terminated without explanation or a conversation on Apr 17th.

Get expert buying tips about Online Dating Sites and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I think they recruit ladies to send out messages/likes to males so that males would be motivated to pay membership. So if you report to Match about those seemingly fake lady profiles they will obviously do nothing. This is simply to boost their revenues.

Original review: April 14, 2019

I was on this site 17 years ago and it was pretty straightforward. After breaking up two years ago I thought I would try it again. Now it is extremely difficult to navigate, you can’t search by name, you can’t hit the back button to check who searched in reverse order, at least half the people who are supposedly like me really aren’t. There’s a very high percentage of scams and they’re easy to spot. Beautiful women who look like they’re 35 claiming to be 50 or 60 from all over the country. I contacted 30 women and none have even acknowledged my time. My profile was hacked into with some other guy trying to put his pictures in my profile. A waste of time.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I signed up for 3 months, and after about 2 months I knew I didn't want to continue with the service so in order to NOT have the service renew, I canceled through their website and got the cancellation email. The next month they charged my credit card anyway for another 3 months. I called them and told them that I had canceled and gave them the date so they said they would refund my money. Once again, I got the refund email, but they only refunded part of the charge. I got in touch with them once again but they refused to refund the full amount. Don't use this service unless you want your card to be wrongfully charged.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Match.com?

Original review: April 12, 2019

On the night of April 10th 2019 I subscribed to Match, paid subscription cost. By mid morning April 11th 2019 my account was blocked without warning or cause. I followed all the rules and guidelines imposed by Match in reference to pics, profiles, and messages. None of the guidelines were violated. I reached out to customer support whom presenting a strong dialect which made communication very difficult. None of my concerns were addressed and the agent continued to repeat the script over and over. I asked to speak with a supervisor. Was placed on hold and informed by agent that supervisor would not take the call due to the fact that her department could not assist me. I would have to wait up to 48 hrs for the right department to contact me via email. Upon reading the reviews this is a very common practice displayed by Match on a daily basis. How can we shed more light and get resolution?

Original review: April 11, 2019

My credit card was hacked with multiple fraudulent charges, shortly after paying for Match.com. I do not use my credit card at restaurants, gas stations, and do very minimal online purchasing. The last online purchase was done two months earlier. Other complaints about Match.com's securing of credit cards and accounts have also appeared in other reviews. Beware. Thankfully, the fraud department at my institution immediately caught the multiple fraudulent charges and shut down my card. A horrible inconvenience and certainly better account protection needs to be implemented by Match.com.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I’ve been a member for a while. Today, Match sent me a new email, review the new member profile it said. Ha ha. I was 20 years younger, a bit uglier if that is possible, and other changes. I went to log in. When you log in, you must pick the cars and fire hydrants, busses and crosswalks, to see and change your profile. BUT, then your new profile cannot be changed. And, when you try to get help, be prepared for... another joke. Match has great profiles online but, you can see them without joining, do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. Find a site without busses, crosswalks, and hydrants.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Hit my credit two months after I canceled. Won't give me a full refund even though I cancelled over two months ago. Logged back in to ensure cancelled account and it was uncanceled again even though I have cancelled confirmation numbers. Email support claiming I didn't cancel even though I have a confirmation number!

Original review: April 6, 2019

Match.com is an online dating site that gives you a lot of flexibility in choosing who you contact and a wide search criteria. I met my wife of 7 years on Match. I feel that I was too old for the bar scene, and the nature of my job made it difficult, if not impossible to meet someone to develop a relationship at work. I've used other dating sites, and they tend to be more prohibitive to pare down the type of person you are interested in, you have to answer a litany of screening questions, etc.

Match.com does have its share of people looking to scam, hook-ups, liars, cheaters, etc., but a conversation or two and/or a quick meet-up for coffee or a drink can usually uncover those who are there for their own selfish reasons. Like anything else in life, timing and luck play a role, but for those who are looking to meet people for a potential relationship, Match.com is a option that can bring you in to contact to a potential partner you would never have the opportunity to meet otherwise. Not only did I meet my wife on Match.com, but previous to that, I had a date that didn't work out romantically, but we ended up becoming good friends to this day, and I recently went to her wedding.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I believe these sites shadow block your messages so you will pay more $ for perks. Think about it. They want to make $. They dont want you on there for week and then find someone then cancel your subscriptions. Wake up people. These sites are big corporation/ government run. I even asked 50 girls to reply not interested if they didnt respond to my first message. Not 1 did! Am I the only one that thinks this is highly suspicious. I also am not fat and an attractive guy. I also send very polite messages. No vulgar pics either. These sites are trying to separate us! It is evil! God bless.

Original review: March 31, 2019

Joined a while back, never any matches in my area, and noticed a HUGE influx of SPAM emails. Almost all of which were dating related, ** women wanting to meet, sexy singles, etc. Deleted my account and after maybe 4-6 months the amount of SPAM finally dropped down from 40 a day to maybe 1 or 2. Been about a year since I tried Match.com, and on average I get maybe 5 junk emails a day, mostly cheap meds or mortgages, etc. Last week, tried to rejoin but couldn't. Said email address in use. Tried the 'forgot password' link and never got an email to reset with. Within the hour, I had 60 SPAM email in my Hotmail account, and again, all were ** women, dating, cheating housewives, etc. Been a week and still getting 40-60 of these in my email a day. Tell me that's a coincidence? Obviously entering in your email address on Match.com triggers something because now I'm stuck clearing my SPAM folder constantly, same as last time I joined.

Original review: March 30, 2019

I had closed my account but unknown to me they upgraded my subscription and continued charging me 6 monthly payments for a year. I have emailed them because it is the weekend and their customer service dept is not open! How dare they I am furious I have not used it for a year because I had cancelled it I thought. Can anyone tell me what is the regulatory body that I complain to because I am not expecting them to refund me voluntarily. They owe me £350.00 that I knew nothing about.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Match.com is SCAM! I have registered and paid with my credit card. I got access to use the dating site and after 3 days my account was blocked without any information why. I have sent 4 messages to customer service to explain and to deblock my account but I never got an answer. I registered again with another user name, paid again, and again. After a few days my account was blocked without any reason. Match.com is one big scam, never register on there as it's wasting your money and time.

Original review: March 26, 2019

First, when I try to respond on their feedback pop-up, it always puts on more stars than I want and quickly disappears. Second, if I put in no one ever responds, even to say not interested. Then within a week I get someone I might be interested in, they talk one night or day and then disappear from site. Talk about company set-up. Third, I believe Match controls too much trying to get me to extend subscription.

Fourth, the only people I get are ones that wanting sex or talk sex, or scammers wanting money. Or instant "I'm in love with you but don't want to meet", ha! Fourth, I checked subscription end date on my profile, it says I signed up in Dec and have 6 months. Several days later I get charged for auto renewal in March? I call for refund and they only give me $110 versus full $131. And it's only been a couple days since charge. They say I'm good through April 21. I guarantee I will have responses enough to try to get me to resign up. Do you really want to do business with a company like this? Not worth it. Save your money and go out and meet someone.

Original review: March 24, 2019

I signed up for a year not realizing that it was going to charge me all at once, which I definitely can’t afford. The only people I’m being matched with are so far out of my age range that it’s uncomfortable (some close to being old enough to be my grandfather — I’m 25 for reference). I sent an email explaining my dissatisfaction & requested a refund. Waiting to see what they say. If they initially refuse, I’ll fight like hell to get my money back.

Original review: March 22, 2019

The problem with Match.com is that much like every other dating site out there it's let down by the users. It's full of Judgemental people who are only looking for someone who is perfect and Ghosters who stop responding when you start to arrange to meet. It's a humongous waste of time and money. I would only recommend match if you look like Brad Pitt or something similar as that is your only chance of getting a response. You'd be better off using any other free dating site where exactly the same thing happens but you don't have to pay a premium to be blocked or ignored.

Original review: March 21, 2019

These people are thieves and first class cons. They show your profile to everyone and even give you fake likes and interests to get you to pay up. Once you're subscribed, they hide your profile or limit its exposure. Access to my account was blocked after a week for no reason. I had not broken any rules nor posted anything provocative, distasteful or illegal. You can have access blocked to your account for no reason and because you checked off the user agreement, you're out of your money. Never experienced such shenanigans on any other platform. You literally have to subpoena them to reveal the reason why they blocked your access. Prospective users: BE WARNED.

Original review: March 21, 2019

Hi, I opened an account on Match.com, followed the instructions, uploaded a (nice) picture as requested, didn't take the time to write a text, figuring I had to think it over and would do it later. The next day, when I tried logging on, I got a message that my account was blocked and to contact customer service which I did. Here is their response: "Your Match account has been terminated. Due to our privacy practices, we cannot disclose specifics about any Match account, including your own." So, they refuse to tell me the reason why they terminated my own account. I say, don't bother with that site, look elsewhere.

Original review: March 20, 2019

This company does not deserve any stars. You pay three months in advance and get nothing for it. They say you can contact other people - you can't. They send you possible matches and they're far from being matches. It's pathetic waste of time and money.

Original review: March 19, 2019

My wife tried getting this for her brother who lives in Columbia. They took all the info. He tried accessing it and couldn't because it's US only then they tried saying couldn't find any charges, contact the bank. I called them from the bank. They wanted a 23 digit number that they claimed would fix the problem instead of doing what I was told by Denny. They had to forward to another dept as they had no phone. Evidentially all they did was forward the issue and didn't even included the info they were suppose to so buyer beware. Don't use them. They will rip you off.

Original review: March 18, 2019

BEWARE! I paid for three months in advance. My Match profile froze and could not be fixed or edited. Match suggested allowing them to delete my profile and then I could put up a new one and they would credit the remaining balance of my payment to the new account. I tried repeatedly to resubscribe but was refused over and over. When I spoke to customer service they could not find the problem but insisted they could keep the balance of my payment because I authorized their deletion of my profile, even though it was their suggestion. I would never recommend this horrible dating service to anyone.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Shortly after a woman I'd messaged responded with a request for a chat to which I'd responded accordingly, her account was blocked for reasons unknown. I repeatedly discussed the matter with customer service, only to be told that there was "nothing we can do." A block as a block, and company policy — on pain of the reps being fired — prevented them from simply letting the woman know that because the block had happened AFTER we'd connected as described above, they would at least give her my contact info (phone number and email address) and let her decide what to do with it. With nothing to lose from doing so and everything to gain — the woman, myself, and Match.com — "company policy" could not be "violated," period. Which is to say that this "matchmaking" company couldn't lift a finger to further its own reason for being, its employees too frozen in fear to do their jobs. Disgusting.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I've been on Match.com for two different stretches. I did connect on two separate occasions with dates that evolved into short term relationships. However I would not recommend this site to anyone unless they understand how the site "works". Match has recently made some changes in the appearance of profiles that makes it far less transparent as to whether or not the profile is "active" - meaning has a live subscription and can respond to emails etc. In my first subscription (3 month period) about a year and half ago, it would say next to a profile primary picture "active". Sometime in the last year, they changed this to a dot that becomes partially colored or fully shaded according to how recently the person signed on.

What I've figured out is that the person may be signing on to peruse pictures (or because they got emails from Match that they have "likes") but that doesn't mean they have an active subscription and can actually see your email or reply. I know this because in my last subscription I signed up for "read receipts". Most of my emails are never read, which tells me the users are inactive. (You might think that sounds vain on my part LOL but I think even if people aren't interested, they at least open the inbox and read the communication - don't you?)

In the last month, Match.com also deleted the "income" section from their profiles. There was no announcement or discussion or explanation. If you read dating articles from Psychology Today, Forbes, etc - these articles note that showing income, for those who want to display/discuss it - is generally seen as a favorable bullet point for user consideration.

Match.com is not for the faint of heart, especially for the pool of us 50+ users. People lie about their ages in their profiles, put up pictures that are not recent and the pool of active users is much smaller than is projected. It is normal for someone who is serious about using the platform to have many many non-responses to emails and smiles and likes. If you chose to use it, you should put it in the context of "just a tool" to meet people and remind yourself that nothing on the site is "personal". You should also wait for specials and sales to get discounting prices. Highly recommend the read email receipts so you know when emails go unanswered, that it's not that the person isn't interested... they aren't even "home".

Original review: March 11, 2019

Signed up for Match.com because I thought paying for a matching service would yield results. I was wrong. In the months I was active, I sent messages to 200 profiles and received three responses. I did get one date from someone who was not looking for a relationship. Based upon my experience, I cannot recommend Match.com.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I only signed up for three months. I'm a very nice looking woman and had a good profile. Several times I went to edit my profile and did it, but, NEVER did the changes take place. The pictures and profiles that they "matched" me with were so wrong. This was my second experience with dating sites. I believe that for the most part they are a scam to line someone's pockets. I have discontinued my service after the three months. Have received confirmation of this, with confirmation number and the date my subscription ends. I think I'll just go back to the old fashion way.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

This site is crap. Have been on and off of it and it is not what they say it is. In my opinion they say you will but I let my subscription run out and now it says I have several likes. That's BS. Oh now that I can't send messages it says I have some. Yeah OK. Total farce this site is. Not ever using it again and I hope you never do either. Trust me it's total crap!!!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I signed up for a new membership to Match.com and paid the fee. I had access for a couple of hours, during which time I sent several short and innocuous "hello, nice profile, would you like to chat?" type emails. My profile was very generic and in no way provocative or offensive. I logged off for several hours, then when tried to log back in, only to get a message that I was blocked from my account without explanation.

I sent an email to customer service (ha, what a misnomer) to ask why. It took over 24 hours to receive a response, which simply said: "Please know that due to our Terms of Use, your Match account has been terminated. We believe this action to be in the best interest of our member community." I am a mature, upstanding member of my community, have a high level, professional position that requires a 10 year FBI background check and have been a teacher at my congregation. IN NO WAY did I do anything offensive or even close to anything violating the Terms of Use. I don't know if my account was hacked and misused by some miscreant and I guess I will never know because Match.com will not give me a reason. Inexcusable. CAVEAT EMPTOR! There are too many choices in the market to give your hard earned money to this outfit.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I subscribed to Match.com in 2013. Back then the subscription was cheaper, maybe as expected when taking into account inflation, but more importantly you got dates. I got one a week for a while. I then left and decided to rejoin last year in 2018. I've been signed up for other six months but didn't manage to get one date in this time. I let my subscription expire about one week ago to sign on this evening and found seventeen people favorite me and two winks. I got an average of two favorites a month when I subscribed to their overpriced service but why I am now getting so much attention from all of those women. Especially in just one week after I stopped my subscription.

I am wondering whether these are genuine profiles or are fake profiles which were put on by Match.com or is your profile put at the top of pile so it attracts more views and interest from people. Either way I am without doubt it's an attempt for Match.com to insight you back into subscribing. Like I previous said it's shady business practices! There must be people who do find the love of their life on this website. But for me it has been a complete waste of time and money. Thanks Match.com!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I contacted Match.com customer service asking why there were a bunch of Likes sent from my account to a dozen women I had not reviewed or intended to indicate interest in. And the website offers no way of deleting Likes that Match.com sends to people without your consent. Match replied saying that the first batch of Matches you receive are automatically sent Likes if you don't Like or Skip them immediately. That ticked me off. But I went ahead and used the service for two of the three months I paid for. Then I noticed that it wasn't just the first group of Matches they send. Match continued to send fake Likes indiscriminately the entire time. I sent another email to support and this time I wasn't passive about it. I told them to stop sending fake likes from my account.

I also told them they are messing with the wrong guy and that I will pursue it with press and consumer affairs etc. They responded by blocking my account...and effectively stealing a month’s worth of the service payment in the process. Here's my issue among many... If I know they are sending fake Likes from my account, how am I supposed to respond to Likes I receive? Match may be the largest, but they are still a scam, just like the rest of them. So Match...as promised, my first effort toward exposing your thieving and scamming. More to follow.

Match.com expert review by Mark Brooks

Match.com is one of the biggest and best-known online dating sites in the United States. It has been helping singles find partners since 1995, it now serves people in over 24 countries with sites in 15 different languages.

• Profiles may include several photos: Users can provide photos of themselves in various settings as well both full-length photos and headshots to provide the most accurate information about themselves for potential matches.

• Advanced search algorithm: Users can choose both physical and value-based attributes to search for, improving the quality of the matches they find.

• Anonymous email network: Users can email potential matches through Match.com's own messaging service, allowing them to keep their identities and contact info private until they are ready to share it

• Partners with sites in various countries: Match.com partners with personal ad sites in several countries so that international users can find their perfect match.

• Profiles are screened before being posted: Match.com staff screens profiles and photos before posting to ensure only appropriate information makes it onto the site.

• Best for: People looking for long-term relationships, people looking for short-term relationships, and people looking for a large dating pool.

Profile picture of Mark Brooks
Mark Brooks Online Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.

Match.com Company Information