Match.com

Compare Online Dating Websites & Services

Research top Online Dating Websites & Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Limited database, the same people keep popping in your searches. For every one single woman on there, she gets a 1,999 emails, fake spam accounts, probably created by Match themselves. So you can lured to purchasing a membership to see who emailed or inquire to you. Nothing is free. Want to see who viewed you, pay. Poor customer service, incompetent staff. Why else would my account be hacked. The reality is that online dating has a very low rate of success. But if this is the only venue you can resort to, then I suggest another site. One can't expect much from a company based out of Tex-ass!

I had been on Match for about 3 weeks. I was emailing several members of Match when my account was blocked. My account was blocked for no reason. I never did anything inappropriate. I never posted anything inappropriate. No reason was ever offered. I sent several inquiries as what was going on. I was then notified by email that my account was now terminated. No reason for any of this ever offered. I consider this organization to be extremely unprofessional. I will be sure to advise everyone to avoid Match.

I'd like to rate Match with -3 stars. They have in settings an icon that says to check and see status of subscription but that will set you for auto renew. If you check your account to see how long until it expires, that date means nothing. They decide to keep dipping their hands in your bank account. If you try to speak with someone there they keep telling you you're on auto renew. And there will be no refund. And they will not allow you to speak to a supervisor or manager. I'll never use them again. They are thieves!!! I'm also putting my experience on Facebook and the blog in my county that is state wide as well.

They are thieves! They scam you. Once you give them your credit card they continue to charge you. I have had to call them every 6 months to tell them not to renew my account. I still get charged then they will not give any refund. Not even a discount. Nothing. If you want a headache sign up for this service.

I originally joined Match.com for free but after receiving numerous messages stating that my profile had been like, viewed, there were people interested etc... I decided to become a month to month paying member. After I paid for the first month, all the numerous messages about my profile stopped. I decided to cancel my paying membership when the first month was up and then magically the messages about views and interest in me began once again. This is how they get people to pay for a membership. On top of that, all the other members I was supposedly matched with were totally opposite of anyone I would have anything in common with whatsoever. I've asked for a refund... I know, good luck with that. What a total waste of money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Match.com?

For several years I have used Match.com to various levels of success. I have been somewhat forgiving of the scammers, false profiles, etc - and on occasion found people I might contact with. Specifically - after a one month membership - I attempted to cancel said membership on the correct day and had difficulty doing so. When I attempted to email (three separate tries) - there was no customer service response. Four days after the initial attempt to cancel - I phoned Match.com customer service to ask for a refund (as by this time I was auto charged for a second month of membership). Here is where I was met with a completely unhelpful CS person who would not transfer me to a supervisor - and essentially hung up on me - with no customer service resolve. Bye bye Match.com.

I'm very dissatisfied with their service. I signed up and used my debit card, and they blocked me. No reason or explanation was given. I tried again later after a few months and still the same thing. I have not said anything to go against their policy. This is the worst dating site in the history of the whole history. They should not be able to just block or ban people without explanation.

Beware when you cancel your subscription. They will send you a verification that it is canceled but will automatically charge you again until you personally call to cancel. I demanded a full refund but they only offered a partial refund. This is the only complaint I have about Match.com. I did meet a wonderful woman and that is why I canceled my subscription.

I signed up for what I thought was a free trial... Evidently it was for a 6 month subscription at 119.00. Within 2 days I cancelled the account but the lovely customer service people will not issue a refund or make any accommodation. Even if I made an error there must be some compassion... or correction. There is none. I am 73 years old living on a fixed income and would have never knowingly signed up for a 6 month sub without first checking out the free trial. This service may have a good reputation but its ability to accommodate ALL its customers is rigid and disgusting. I need a refund. I believe the free trial was misrepresented.

My Match.com experience has been the worst. I've been hacked twice in the last two weeks and once about a month or two ago. Match is supposed to be a secure site. My account settings were compromised, renew settings changed, pics deleted, search criteria were all changed by the hacker. I was reviving messages from people I was in contact with that were also hacked. I also got at least 3-6 scammer messages a day as well!!! To get a refund is a runaround. Match is the worst dating site. I would not recommend Match.com to anyone looking for anything serious!!!

Match.com is an unethical company that does not care about its members' well-being and is only interested in getting their money. Recently I paid for a three-month membership, but I felt compelled to stop using the service after only a few weeks when I received a harassing email from a member I had never before had any contact with. What he wrote in his email was disturbing. It related to death and politics and had nothing to do with dating. I filed a complaint against this member, wrote him back a two sentence reply letting him know that he is sick and should seek help, and then blocked him so he could never contact me again.

The following day, May 29, 2017, I received an email from someone named Demi ** at Match.com notifying me that a member had filed a complaint against me and that if I ever did anything like that again (Demi ** did not provide any information about what I was actually accused of doing and told me I would have to get a subpoena to find out who filed the complaint, a step I was unwilling to take), my membership would be revoked and I would not be refunded for the time left on my membership. I felt certain that the member who had reported me was the man who sent the harassing email. I also felt certain that after I explained all of this to Match.com, the situation would be resolved to my satisfaction. Boy, was I wrong!

When I called Match.com to discuss the situation, I was told that my only recourse was to respond to the email from Demi **. I responded to the email -- on four separate occasions -- explaining what had happened and requesting that the complaint filed against me be removed from my file or that I be given a prorated refund. My last attempt to get a response from Demi ** was three days ago. I've also resorted to Match.com's online chat and was told that I'm ineligible for a refund of any kind because I have used my membership to send at least one email to another member. I was then referred to Match.com's terms of use, section 12-b, which, I pointed out to the Match.com representative, is irrelevant to my specific situation.

The representative did not care about my specific situation and just kept repeating the same thing about the company's terms of use. By this point I was so frustrated and unsatisfied that I removed all content and photos from my Match.com profile. It is obvious that Match.com did not perform any due diligence to discover what actually happened to me and could not care less about my user experience. Potential members should be warned that it is okay with Match.com if men harass women on their website. But it is not okay with me. If you are looking for an online dating company that is ethical, accountable, and cares about their users' experiences, do not join Match.com.

I had only been on for a few weeks. I kept getting contacted by women asking me to contact their friend/cousin/someone they think are too good to pass. All women said they seen my profile while the girl was searching. They also say "the man is not a member can you contact them at the email they provide." One woman convinced me to contact a non-member who tried to scam me for computer, ipht, and a camera. Now that I reported them my account that cost me 75 dollars is not loading. I have yet to view my credit card but shall trade it for another so they won't charge me again like I've read on reviews. Sad with all the advertising it's not a pleasant site. I've tried to contact Match about my profile not being active when I just payed 3 weeks ago for a 3 month subscription and have not been able to. What a nightmare this site turned into.

I decided to give Match a try and signed up for one month at 38.99. I talked to a couple people and met one in person. No complaints. But after the first week or so I noticed that activity - views and likes - dwindled. I'd say in the last 3 weeks of my 1 month subscription I received 1 or 2 views and no likes. But as soon as my subscription ran out, I suddenly began getting all kind of views and likes. Of course you have to subscribe to find out who they are, so I decided to give it one more month. Upon renewing my subscription I found that every last one of the likes that came pouring in was from a very attractive younger woman, usually listing a state nowhere near where I live, and in every case the profile was now hidden.

They were all fake. Now my second month has expired and it's an instant replay of the first. Very little activity for weeks followed by a burst of likes and views as soon as my subscription ended. Match is a legitimate dating site to be sure, but it engages in extremely dishonest and unethical practices in order to get people to shell out money.

Save yourself the time and money. Match.com is a huge scam - they auto renew even after you have taken the steps not to. They won't refund your money. They randomly also terminated my account without explanation and will not give a refund for that either. Would highly advise not to use.

Don't even deserve the number one rating, but it's the lowest on the charts. I subscribed in good faith. I was never able to connect through a technical glitch. I called 8 times and sent 3 emails, all to no avail, though I was promised twice that A supervisor would call me back within the hour. I'm still waiting, minus over $50.00 debited to my account in US funds, with no assurances that I have been deactivated. Customer care is more like customer dissatisfaction. They lie, cheat and steal. I've asked my credit card provider to look into it for me. Save your money, time and peace of mind. Please trust me on this one. If you don't believe me, look at all of the complaints...

The matches provided didn't even come close to what I indicated I wanted. I tried to cancel a 3 month auto renewal. The day I was charged and after chatting with two people, they both disconnected before answering all my questions. In the end the second person refunded me only $20.01 after converting to a one month package. What a terrible company, first ruining people's love lives through disappointment, then ruining their finances when they know they are taking your money for no services rendered. Match is cheating people of their money and they know it.

This company is awful. I made an account, spent time on my profile, and started to talk to matches. The next day, when I tried to log in, I got a message that my account had been blocked. I called customer service, which said that the matter had to be "escalated". I got an email two days later, saying my account had been terminated and they could not tell me why without a court order. I called customer service and received the same information. I wasn't on this site long enough to violate any terms of service, and I actually did not violate any terms of service. I have passed multiple federal background checks for jobs, so I can't imagine what problem Match.com had with me -- and since they refuse to give information, I will never find out.

I paid for 6 months. Not even 2 weeks and my acct got hacked. I have called Match at least 10x and all they say is change your password?? This does not stop it and I am getting spammed with people that have received a bogus email from me. They are threatening me. I reply telling them it's not me. Some of them probably will get hacked too if they reply to it?? Match has done nothing at all to stop it. It shows I sent out over 100 emails, none that I have sent personally??! I asked for a refund and cancel. They will not give money back, just will cancel my acct?? If they are so high tech you'd think they could stop these bogus emails being sent from my account?? Not happy at all with them!!!

As a single parent I thought Match would be a cut above some of the free sites. Initially I was contacted by a number of men, but found that a high percentage of them were scammers which I reported and blocked. Of the remaining men, a number of them seemed to be into grooming women for sex, not relationships, with inappropriate sexual content to their emails, or coming on extremely interested then dropping all contact for no apparent reason. There are no behaviour guidelines or restrictions for discriminatory sexual behaviour, which ends up meaning that as a female, you are paying to be sexually harassed or discriminated against by men who seem to view you as no more than a piece of meat. Soul destroying site.

Sadly it seems that the more literate men are on other sites! So many of those on Match.com can barely string a word together, let alone a sentence. Perhaps it's a hard fact that no one seemingly decent and of moderate intelligence wants to reply to any of my emails - because no one has! I have however, had communication from foreign chancers half my age, grandfathers, men whose details have been removed having been deemed 'inappropriate' by Match.com and men who would benefit greatly from English grammar and spelling lessons. There's something on the site about men only being able to reply to emails if they've subscribed - so why are they on there if they can't actually communicate with anyone? It seems Match.com just wants site users to upgrade their subscriptions by paying more money. I am totally baffled how anyone nice, normal or half educated has had any success on Match.com at all.

Lots of Fake Profiles. When you view your interest or email it says this profile is no longer available. Every time my subscription ends I get a response from a match. Maybe nothing all month but the day it ends there is a response. Total fraud.

I was winked at, liked and shown interest on May 5th. He wanted to text outside of Match because he wanted our conversations to be easier for us. I have texted back and forth with him for 3 weeks. Today, he tells me about an issue that he has to pay for and doesn't know how he will. He asks me if I could be of any help. When I said that his company should pay for this particular issue that occurred, he gave me some lines. When I told him that he asked a total stranger (we hadn't met yet) for money and that I wouldn't help or be scammed he didn't respond again. Ladies, be very careful. Do not text outside of Match too soon. I felt as if this relationship we were developing was going to be wonderful. Don't believe what you read. I will tell you that ** is his info on Match. I don't blame the man in the picture: someone is obviously using his face and information for scamming purposes!!

When I looked at the costing of Match it gave monthly value but also stated that if you got a yearly subscription you could get it cheaper which was £119 so I signed up for the yearly subscription. However after six months, they have taken a further £119 out of my PayPal account without letting me know this was happening. The advert lead me to believe that the initial cost was for a year. When I spoke to them via the phone they were very unhelpful. Told me this was in my contract that they can close my account but refuse to give me a refund. I have PayPal looking into this but don't hold out for much luck. I would advise anyone that don't waste your money on this site. It does not care about customer satisfaction. Just likes to rip people off.

I am a computer tech, I was working with one of my senior citizen clients who wanted to get onto Match.com. I had her buy a prepaid visa card with 50 bucks on it and I activated it for her. I tried repeatedly to use it on the site to no avail. I called visa and the card was set up properly and working just fine. I got into a chat with a match.com administrator and had her try to run the card and pay for a one year subscription. I wanted the promotion they were advertising for 27.99 per month. She told me that it was 36.99 per month and I told her that it was illegal to post one price and then charge a higher one. She agreed to the payment of 27.99 per month. She took the card information and repeatedly tried to pull money off it. It was declined. I asked her how much she was trying to pull off the card and she told me 27.99.

I phoned Visa during this chat while she was trying to process the membership and visa told me that they were declining the card because she was trying to pull 51.45 from it. Of course I steered my client to another site and told her that match.com was a scam but I wonder how often this happens. This is certainly theft and if an employee or employees typically charge the cards for more than the monthly amount, there is significant chance to make some illegal money. I am posting this in the hopes that some action be taken to prevent this site from ripping off their clients. I shudder to think of my client using her real credit card and what could have happened. Clearly the people running this site are at the least dishonest and at the worst real criminals.

Yes, they advertise the hell out of their site. Give their marketing team some credit for being able to scam ordinary people. But let's get into specifics about this company. The auto-renew feature is a complete joke. I cancelled my account at least two dozen times, yet they kept billing me. When you call their customer assistance, they just tell you that it must have been a clerical error. "But we hope you'll stay with us!"

The site itself is also a disgrace. They put up fake profiles (yes, they DO that and steal pictures from average people, to the point where I can't believe they haven't been sued more times than they have). This is not at all a defense of Match.com--because I certainly hate them--but this has been a problem with other dating sites as well. But Match.com is by far the worst. Then, they lie and tell you that people are online on their site when they're not (I've had friends test this), or have been "active within a week" when they've actually cancelled their memberships 8 months before.

And then, for every great attractive person that you'd be interested in dating and getting to know, there's about 25 scams from Russian "girls" who are asking to marry immediately and asking for your checking account number so that they can pay for their sick mother. Match.com should be avoided by everyone... maybe I learned the hard way!

I've tried Match not one but THREE times thinking that maybe the first two times I had been plagued by bad luck or bad dating timing. Oh boy I was wrong! To do an experiment I subscribed to Zoosk at the same time. While at Zoosk I keep meeting good quality man almost every weekend in Match NOBODY contact me! Match keeps asking me for "extras" to be pump up ahead on line and they want to charge me for everything in order to be noticeable. Horrible, horrible site! On top of that there are a lot of fake profiles and scammers. I am a very good looking woman with really nice pics and the prove I have is that in Zoosk I get lots of chats and request to meet me while in Match NADA, zero and the ones that contact me are very ugly unemployed guys.

This is my last time spending my money in this money driven and greedy company. Please, do yourself a favor and DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY in here. I was doubting myself but after reading these reviews I am glad to see that there is nothing wrong with me but I was one more of the victims of this crooked website.

I joined Match.com. I was only on the site for a few weeks. I had numerous men trying to scam me. All of the profiles on the site appeared normal. They were not. After communicating for a few days I was asked for money. Match.com needs to protect customers. Verify people are who they say they are. Not safe. Horrific experience. I would not recommend this site at all.

2 bad experiences - shame on me for trusting this organization a second time. 1. I received an email offering a 30% discount so I decided to sign up. However when I clicked the discount rate, they charge the FULL price on my credit card, not the discounted rate. I was able, after much arguing with them, to reverse this rate, but they wouldn't discount the rate. 2. A few weeks later, I received an email with a discount. I did not sign up. I opened the email to read it, and they automatically put a charge on my credit card because they had saved my credit card numbers from the previous subscription. It took many calls to my credit card provider to get this reversed. DO NOT JOIN.

Fake profiles. People don't want to meet to have a date. Just want to message. Just a scam to keep you paying. I cancelled my subscription because I'd had enough. Tried deleting my account but impossible online. They only let you suspend it so they can send you offers to get you back paying them. Then I received an email thanking me for subscribing again and they took payment. I called and complained and was cut off. Called again to sort refund and asked why you cannot cancel your account online. Technical issue he said so I insisted he cancelled it. Dreadful scamming company.

I signed up and clicked the 3 month option. I was really careful making sure this was checked. I said PayPal, it said 3 months. Somehow it charged me $120 instead of 73... for 6 months! I called the next day: they cannot refund you!!!! They can only take it down to one month of $50, when one month is $20 on the site itself. RIP OFF ALERT. Do NOT BUY INTO THIS WEBSITE. They are horrible and finding an attractive male was not easy (about 2% attractive). DO NOT USE MATCH.COM. They will overcharge you!

Expert Review

Mark BrooksOnline Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.    More about Mark→

Match.com is one of the biggest and best-known online dating sites in the United States. It has been helping singles find partners since 1995, it now serves people in over 24 countries with sites in 15 different languages.

• Profiles may include several photos: Users can provide photos of themselves in various settings as well both full-length photos and headshots to provide the most accurate information about themselves for potential matches.
  • Advanced search algorithm: Users can choose both physical and value-based attributes to search for, improving the quality of the matches they find.
  • Anonymous email network: Users can email potential matches through Match.com's own messaging service, allowing them to keep their identities and contact info private until they are ready to share it
  • Partners with sites in various countries: Match.com partners with personal ad sites in several countries so that international users can find their perfect match.
  • Profiles are screened before being posted: Match.com staff screens profiles and photos before posting to ensure only appropriate information makes it onto the site.
  • Best for People looking for long-term relationships, people looking for short-term relationships, and people looking for a large dating pool.

Compare Online Dating Websites & Services