POF.com

Compare Online Dating Websites & Services

Research top Online Dating Websites & Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This site is a joke. Not only is it the worst site ever. They have upgraded to douchebag status. They now charge you a 12 mo fee. right off the top. The contacts is BS and the It is just the worst. My advice is meet and fall in love the old fashion way. Chance encounters. Billing practices suck. The Whole experience left me with a bad taste in my mouth...

I've read a lot of these reviews and will get right to the point. I have been a member of many different online dating sites including POF for over two years. I strongly recommend against POF! Don't waste your time or money. In every way it is worse than Match, eHarmony, OkCupid, and Zoosk.

Don't like the POF site. They say the site is free. It's not if you don't get a membership within a short period of time you cannot log on, I met one female from the site she was friendly, but the relationship ended fast when her mom got cancer and she had no time for a lasting relationship. Other females were rude, asking me to send them money or see private parts of my body, in the dating world be prepared to get mentally hurt. I think the POF site sucks personally.

From the men's side like most dating sites full of women that are 3's, thinking they are a 10, that wouldn't know a good man. So have your party boys, women outnumber men 4:1. I will find a good woman somewhere else. Second complaint: Full of scammers, I had 4 in one weekend. They post a picture of some good looking female, one picture. An incorrect age, later saying it's a mistake. Immediately ask for full name, email address and sometimes home address. One after a while claimed her family was going to kill her over gold bars, sent pictures of so-called gold bars. Offered me 40%, and wanted all my contact information.

I called her/him/it out then they blocked me. Another one sent a loop of video of a well endowed woman and stated that the chat was not working correctly. Wanted me to send money for as she/he/it called it "lady things" - and on and on. One claimed to be from California but gave me a Georgia address, others where in Ghana with "a sick relative". So tire of this BS and POF does nothing to stop scammers, investigate scammers. And the women...Guys we are worth more than that, no one has the golden kitty. If I wanted a Psycho I would go back to the abusive, mentally ill ex, that abused me and my kids, until I took them away. I know what I am worth.

Men on this site do not seem to be looking for real and long lasting relationships. Most are looking for one night stands and are financially unstable and have a lot of problems in one area or another.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about POF.com?

This site is free and that's the best thing about this site. But almost everyone I went on a date with lied and/or was a throwback fish (carp ** fish) and most of the women on this site a liars and completely phony. I was lucky I found a beautiful lady on another site.

For those of you who do not know, POF change their Policies. They have the right to share your profile with other dating sites that are governed by Match. Since they have done this, the scammers on this site have tripled. When I report them, they do nothing and do not take the down. There are so many predators out there now playing on the heartstrings of the lonely and unassuming. "Newbies" BEWARE! NEVER give out any personal information such as your email address or telephone number. If they are real, they will meet you in a public place. I know many people prefer to speak on the phone first... but that is giving out personal information. If the profile sounds too good to be true... run! scammers lay it on really thick to capture the love starved lonely people out there!

When POF decides to start charging men so we can get a better quality please let me know. I really don't want to talk to someone who is 20 years older than me or someone who is incarcerated in jail. Are you kidding me. Since when did they allow people who are in jail to have a phone?? Not to mention the amount of married men on here or men already in a relationship looking for a piece of **. The liars on here are amazing to me. They put pictures on here from 20 years ago. Not to mention the predators that are looking for someone to take care of them. Let's not forget those who set up people that ended in the end of someone's life. This website should be shut down and should be investigated.

I met 2 married liars and 3rd person called me 10 minutes before we were supposed to meet to say he was too drunk and needed a ride, hung up and gave up on online dating. Being a widow I was leery of online dating and catfish and found out quite fast it is not the way for me to meet people. My neighbor's son and daughter married people they met on PlentyOfFish.com and he is dating a woman out of state that he met thru the site so it does work for some people.

Great site to go out on dates meet friends, but there are dirtbags on there too!! It's a lot of guys on there that play games and are liars though no fault of the site they are on there in droves... Keep that in mind pay attention to what they are saying maybe read between the lines and have fun. GREAT SITE FOR DATING.

So I had been on and off of POF for a few years. In the beginning the site was alright. I met a few people on it nothing really panned out normal. As of the last 2 years POF has made it harder to talk to anyone or even see who was interested in me. They made that impossible. Without paying and even then I don't it would have changed much.

As of the past year I have been getting dinged with "someone wants to meet you" messages. 99.5 % of the time it's a fake profile that is deleted right after I get the message. That was the first thing that started making me mad. The second they would not allow me to message one and if by chance I did get a message I was not able to read it unless I paid. I don't feel comfortable giving this site money as to the amount of fake profiles I would. Most likely have to fish through if this site is even real dating site any more and not just a place for people to advertise webcam sex sites. I would never recommend this site to anyone ever. Worst waste of time ever.

If you are stupid enough to put your credit card information and use it in this company's website you really run the risk of losing all of your money. I was fortunate enough to not lose any money because I didn't enter any credit card information into their sorry website. I have reported and sent them screenshots and images of malware attacks coming from their site and their site only any time I click on a profile of one of these women about three or four pages into their photos I get all the sudden pop ups telling me that I won an iPhone or that I've been selected for a prize or this or that and it's all viruses it's all malware and I'll save the URLs for them and emailed it to ammonia fish and their response was they do not care. They don't have the time to investigate it. If your money gets stolen they won't care. Do not use this website.

I like that it's free but that gives it the reputation as a hookup site and that means that not everyone is actually looking to be in a relationship. I just use the site to look at profiles and waste time.

The site is seeded with a lot of women that don't really exist. When you sign up they tell you all these women that's in your area to meet and after you've paid your money you find out there's very little women in your area that it really exists on the site and the ones that do exist live so far away and their expectation is so far off considering what they bring to the table.

I Really Love and Appreciate POF.com giving female members the choice to limit what age range of males gets to write to her since there's nothing more gross and disgusting than having a delusional old man or any pervert or any man more than 7-10 yrs older write to me. However now that choice has been modified so that these delusional ugly old frogs can now write to a female on second try after already being denied the first time. It's a female choice not to hear from an old age range. It makes me want to vomit to see an old man more than 8-10 yrs older especially over 40, write to me.

I hope they revert to original option that again, a female has chosen herself not to allow a man over a certain age to write her and only allow a certain age range to contact her. A woman has a right to this choice and no delusional old frog who needs to stick to his own age range should be allowed to change this. I also appreciate POF not allowing anyone to write anything in a subject line as bitter rejected men have used this to insult women after being rejected.

This is my experience with POF. The site was down, {would not load} for me for OVER 45 days. Got an email from them 2 days ago, "Come see us again, we have a "Token" for you." That was BS. The site did allow me in as a MEMBER but when I click on the "token" POF said I had to pay for it??? POF is also down today. And before some asked me to "disassemble," upgrade, reboot, or change my system or setting, ALL of that was down 30 days ago when I tried and failed to have POF load. So don't offer ANY fixes to me, Just call POF and offer them the fixes. So POF is, to me: unavailable, unreliable, unpredictable, unprofessional, poorly managed, none existent CS, a waste of time & money and more. I also heard "Match" bought them and it is my hope the purchase works out for Match and they did not pay more than $12.00, because the site is so poorly rated and it will NEVER be otherwise.

I have had 2 accounts over the past 3 years with POF. The first account I deleted as 6 of the first 7 people I had contact with turned out to be ** scammers. I verified the pictures that were used were also reported on the two different Romance Scam sites. I deleted the account but never paid money. That was just disappointment to see so many fake profiles. After getting hit on by a few scammers it becomes easy to spot them. Approximately 2 years go by and I decide to try again living in a small town. I was hopeful for less scammers. I set up my new profile and got approved, answered 2 of the chemistry tests that ask and then find out my account was deleted and does not exist even after I got the approval email. It takes time to write a nice profile. Total waste of time.

Since these dating sites are all owned by Match my guess is they are running the other sites into the ground so people quit using the so-called free version of POF. Even when you do searches you see the same people on the subsequent pages that you already saw. Sounds to me like the site is dying and to make it look more populated they repeatedly show you the same people. Pathetic site with no help or support. Total scam. Stay away if you are smart.

I am an older guy, looking for a GF to date, have fun with. POF pushes you into an age bracket closing off anyone within 15 years. But it doesn't matter because most of the women are fake. I think the site is a fake, just out for victim money. They really are what their url suggests, Plenty OFFISH. ALL the women are plenty offish, alright. No bites, no nibbles, nada. Disgusting ** saying ** men only, who'd want such a woman? Followed their ideas for profile, and was honest. Men probably should LIE. Response rate: zero. Messages UNreturned in every case. Also not a "Free" site, everything pushes a person to get a "premium" membership before you can message anyone. The site almost makes it impossible to communicate with any respondent. All that "matching" stuff is complete nonsense. NEVER give POF a credit card number. I'm gone. Cannot recommend at all.

Ok, so 3 days ago I decided to try POF again. This time I paid for an upgraded account, in hopes that it would help me actually find someone who really does want a relationship that it might help weed out people who aren't serious about it. Anyhow skip to today, ie. day 3. I logged in, actually barely able to login, and the first thing I see is, in bold green saying "Next page" and a little link that says customer service.

Ok, so I pressed next page and the same thing came up. So, I decided to check my messages. In my email inbox it said I have some new messages, and of course, I wanted to see who may be interested. Well, and no I cannot access them. Now I'm left wondering wtf? Ok, so I sent a message to customer service, in fact 2 messages, it hasn't even been an hour yet; I know a little too hasty to wait for a reply. Next I go to my account, get the email address for a refund. I'm not paying for this nonsense, now I have to wait for 24 hours for a reply, that's fine.

But what on earth? Maybe it's a bit too soon to complain, but hey if I paid for an upgraded service and getting these wonderful results... what on earth is this site for? Seriously. I sent messages to some guys because I noticed that they have things in common with me on their profiles, now I cannot see if I got a reply, or if I got messages from guys who maybe interested in me. Needless to say, I'm not a happy girl. I mean I found some guys that seemed soo cool, that like the same things I do! Now I can't contact anyone? Or see if they replied to me?:( My thoughts, this site sucks. A whole 3 days, now it feels like I wasted my time.

This site is ate the ** up! I've had a lot of responses from POF. The problem is that when I go to check them out they've deleted their profile. Really? I also find it funny how men aren't allowed to send nude pics when I found a woman bearing it all on the Search mode. WTF! Not saying it's right to send inappropriate pics but if it's good for the goose, it should be good for the gander! I've also gotten a few "mutual meets" that don't say anything when you message them, along with scammers from some unheard of place across the ocean. This site is something else! Trust me when I say I'm done with this con artist scam known as POF!!!

POF blocks age within 15 years. If you are 40 and try to email someone under 30, it will have a popup message that the user doesn't wish to be contacted by you, in certain words I can't remember, but it's not so. They make decisions for POF users beyond their knowledge. The crazy part is, POF has filter options in settings for age, and a lot more things. So if a user doesn't want to be bothered by people of certain age, they can set it up really easy. So why the age discrimination? This wasn't always like this. POF was once a good site... long ago!

Also, POF was once a 100% free site. But now we have a mix of paying customers and free users. That is a big recipe of disaster. They have a lot of shady tactics to convince you to upgrade. I don't know what POF promised women on this site, but I have never experienced such a picky, arrogant community of women. Getting a return message is like pulling teeth. If you are reported by someone that you broke the rules, without even checking to see if the information is accurate, POF will delete you without any notification at all. You will just disappear. If you're a upgraded member, say goodbye to your money.

POF does not remind you of the renewal date of your upgrade, so my upgrade came up unexpectedly. I have not been satisfied with the results of POF and requested a cancellation/refund the same day as the renewal. I was told no refund would be provided. This is a scam. I am now paying for 3 months of future service that I do not want. I am being forced to use a service that is shoddy and less than productive. POF will not provide a phone number to speak to a live person and it takes 48-72 hours for an email response, which is always the same thing (we do not refund upgrades...) Terrible company. Stay far, far away from this scam!

Most the time cannot access the website and no matter what device I use, or where I am located on different WiFi's and other connections in various places. When the website first started I had some success dating and met a lot of weird people besides that. That was about 10 years ago. I have tried to use the website twice in the past four years and paid the fees and basically it was worthless. Very few quality people, a lot of people just want to hook up, people who are questionably process, just a lot of freaky people both men and women. There are a few halfway decent people but they never seem to respond. There's also a lot of scammers list I have run into it.

Now that I'm on it again I can't even access, it is just a waste of time and money. This is just my opinion, take it for what it's worth. Maybe others if I had better experiences, but I find it pointless. It is also very difficult to get responses back and communicate with the technical support. If I am a paying customer I definitely should have access the phone number directly to a tech-support person. The biggest problem is I don't get a technical support for my money and no one ever responds back.

You can go on this site but you have to choose women that they think you should date or get to know. They pick what age you can choose from. I usually date younger woman but they will not let you choose. They give you older woman to choose from... They can take a hike if they think they can tell me who I am going to date. This SITE SUCKS and is DISCRIMINATORY!!! The ONLY REASON I gave them ONE STAR is because I HAD TO.

Well let's just say in the 6 months I was a member not one match, not one person reached out to "meet me", of the 4 I send messages to 3 were scammers from Kenya or some other African nation that was "stuck" in the country and needed 500.00-1500.00 from me to get home. When I said "no didn't have it", they must of been abducted by aliens because I've never heard from them again. All 3 after claimed I was the man of their dreams, they loved me (even though they never knew my name or who I was).

Just be cautious. I know not everyone is like these 3 but if you're really looking for someone to date, be in a relationship with or marry, this might not be the best place to start. Oh funny how most say no hook ups, not looking for sex of FWB's and 3/4 has their ass in the air, ** hanging out for the world to see skimpy skirts on but not looking for a hook up. Yeah right.

THIS SITE IS A SCAM -- DO NOT USE. They charged me almost $40 without my knowledge or consent when I reactivated my account after 10 months of not using it. I emailed their refunds department about it and they said they don't give refunds. I disputed the payment on PayPal. I was unable to log in today even changing password and concluded they've deleted my profile without any communication or reason. I lost all the time I spent making my profile and chatting to potential partners, AND they stole almost $40. This has got to be illegal.

My profile was hacked. I could not get back into my profile. I called the customer service that instructs you to send an email. The email bounces back saying in so many words that they are too busy to respond. I have left several messages and sent several emails with no response. My profile is still ACTIVE and has been edited. I can't even delete it. I'm learning through this experience that this has been an ongoing problem with this site and they are doing nothing to rectify this problem. I may just reach out to 7 on your side (consumer media) to expose them.

In less than a month my account was hacked. My personal pics were replaced with those of a barely dressed woman. Picture of my pets and other pic remained to make it seem more genuine, I guess. The bio was part mine and part something new and suggestive. My password was changed so I can't get the page removed. Customer support? There is none. I'm just glad I wasn't a paying customer so I wouldn't have to deal with the nightmare of them having my financial info, too. I guess that's why I always buy a prepaid card to pay for anything like this.

I've joined this site and paid my money and the site replaced my profile with someone else and disabled my account and trying to contact someone is next to impossible. It's like no one exist, so I joined again to see if I could retrieve information of people I had already met and no info... I rejoined using a different password and profile, site kicked me off again? I don't understand, if you join do not pay because if for some reason the site is having internet problems and you've paid it's next to impossible to get in contact with anyone. The site is NOT user-friendly or they don't address any problems you may have! Very disappointing, because it is a lot of people you can actually meet!

I used to be a member some years ago & was finding the ability to message for free handy. However, when in the middle of multiple conversations, I woke up to find my account missing. I tried to recover password & apparently I no longer existed. I was blocked from being able to sign back up with same email.

So, over the course of last year, I conducted a test. I created multiple emails. 5 male & 5 female. I uploaded photos & asks friends to help me with the photos as they were keen to know the results for all the profile descriptions were identical. I uploaded 1 normal photo for each profile, 5 unique male photos & 5 unique female photos of my friends. Then I uploaded a few rude ones & swear photo's to all of them. Same photo's, different profiles. I left them for 3 months. No activity other than searching once a week & clicking on a few yes's on the Meet me page. It took less than a month to find all 5 male profiles deleted. However all the female ones were still up & active. So, I intentionally broke the rules for the 5 female profiles & still, no deletion. So, I deleted the accounts myself.

Then I conducted another test just for male accounts. I asked 5 other male friends to register & comply specifically with the rules.They had to send at least 1 message to a different user a day. Keeping it clean & mentioning details of the profile to show authenticity of the message. After about a month or so, they all started chatting with females. Some 2 or 3 at the same time (lucky sods). It was all polite & friendly. No rules were broken until the woman asked if they would like to switch numbers. They responded positively and asked if they could provide their numbers first & my 5 friends would message/call them. Now, they clicked send & left the site & waiting for a reply. 1 day, 3 days, a week passed no reply. So they all at various points tried to log in & check. They couldn't. Their accounts had vanished. All 5.

Conclusion: The site promotes upgrading at every moment. It promotes itself as Free with premium features. However it's anything but free. It's been tested with accuracy that the site will allow men & women to register for free. It will also allow you to message other users & have a conversation for free. However, as soon as numbers are mentioned to be exchanged, which means no longer requiring the use of the site to continue that conversation. The site's auto filter or by staff intervention deletes the male's profile. This is either to encourage the male user to register again & sign up to premium to continue the conversation or it forbids any attempt to continue the conversation outside of the site. But the latter is not mentioned in any rules or Terms & Conditions.

As for the first test with the photo's. I believe the site filters out male profiles & deletes them because it's usually the men that pay to find love rather than women. So the site is decisively bias against men from the start. Another issue. The site has no customer support number. No postage address & no way to contact support without being a member. Now, for the site to operate & take payment from UK & EU users, it has to provide a customer support telephone number. Also a contact email or support form & a registered postal address by law. They do not provide this info & it is still a hassle to get this info from them even as a member.

There's even reports that men have registered, upgraded to premium & then found their accounts deleted for no reason. The users contacted their banks to recover the money & the POF.com had the nerve to contest the charge reversal, Claiming it was the User that selected to delete their own account. Which would be stupid at the highest for someone to do.

For anyone in the UK, you might remember a mother who lost her son by cancer. But before his passing, he clicked delete on his account & checked to make sure it was gone. Even Pof.com T&C state deleting is not reversible & no way can you reuse that username. But around 3 months later, The sister of the lad who passed away was searching on pof & spotted something. She saw her brothers profile, same pictures, name & description. Well the mother was shocked & she registered & contacted POF.com via the forum & the extremely difficult email to find to request the account be deleted. The mother even provided proof of death & other evidence. But during that process, the dead son's profile was showing online & had send message to the sister. It was clear from the start this was automated because the messages were generic & open ended to mean anything.

But pof responded saying the account doesn't break any rules & the user no longer wants his account. They should request her son log on & delete it himself, Taking note that they had tried to use the login details used her son that didn't work. Its clear to me, Pof use inactive profiles or details from deleted profiles to recreated accounts & run them on an automated service to give a false impression of activity. It's also riddled with scammers & fake accounts.

As a personal point view, don't try because what you risk losing & feeling when they delete your account is much worse than how you would feel if you went out, introduced yourself to someone you liked the look of & got rejected. As a professional point of view, Any site that does not comply with UK & EU law, is next to impossible to contact & goes around deleting accounts to suit their own needs whilst hinting you to upgrade at every possible moment is disgusting.

If I was you, I would find a dating site that has a UK customer support number that works. A form of contact such as email, Online chat or online form & more importantly, A Geographical registered address for letters of complaint that is within the UK or EU jurisdiction. Any site outside your country's jurisdiction can take your money & provide nothing in return & there's nothing you can do about it or the law. Stick to companies registered in your own country or a country with a reputable law system like the UK & the EU. Anywhere else, youre just putting your money, financial details & emotional well being at risk!

Expert Review

Mark BrooksOnline Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.    More about Mark→

POF.com, also know as Plenty of Fish, is the largest completely free online dating site.

• No Charge: While there are upgrade options available to further enhance your experience, POF.com is the largest dating site that allows you to have a completely free dating experience.
  • Profiles may include several photos: Users can provide photos of themselves in various settings as well as both full-length photos and headshots to provide the most accurate information about themselves for potential matches.
  • Advanced behavioral search algorithm: Along with allowing members to perform basic or detailed searches, POF also reacts to the profiles you choose to click on. In future searches, it will then refine your results by bringing you results that match both what you are asking for and what you are looking at.
  • Anonymous email network: Users can email potential matches through POF.com's own messaging service, allowing them to keep their identities and contact info private until they are ready to share it.
  • Profiles are screened before being posted: POF.com staff screens profiles and photos before posting to ensure only appropriate information makes it onto the site.
  • Best for People looking for long-term relationships, people looking for short-term relationships, and people looking for a large dating pool.

Compare Online Dating Websites & Services