1.96/5

POF.com Reviews

374 POF.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I created a profile with pictures. I was there for a while and I had someone try to scam me by asking for personal bank information. I denied it. As soon as I complain and reported the account my account disappeared. Numerous tries to contact Plenty of Fish so that I can remove my pictures but the customer service wasn't getting back to me hasn't got back to me. I recreated a different account with no pictures to search if I was still on there and again my account without notice less than an hour disappeared. A company that doesn't reply to resolve a problem to me is running a scam. Since PoF is a foreign from the USA it's definitely running scam to get people's bank information.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I've been with POF now for 4+ years as both an upgraded member and non-upgraded member. In the older days it wasn't too bad of a site once I learned to weed thru all the BS scam artists on here and customer service used to be someone responsive. Those days are completely gone... Now this site has been flooded with young women scammers posing as older women in their 50s and 60s. They post pics of young hotties that are barely dressed. When I contacted a couple of the women they referred me to a website called trustmilf.com so I checked out their web... It was a disgusting ** video site.

I reported literally 100s of these women to POF customer service department for a month now and absolutely no action has been taken nor any response from POF customer service. Additionally I set my profile and contact information for women 50-60+ year old not more than 50 miles from my zip code. I'm being flooded with meet me's and messages from these young tramps/scammers that are all from Southern California areas and a few from Las Vegas many 100s of miles from my zip code area. POF must have new ownership and administrators now who are part of this scam... My advice is DON'T upgrade and pay any $$$ to this now scam ** site. I will delete my subscription to this ** site.

Get expert buying tips about Online Dating Sites and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

When I first signed up for Plenty of Fish (POF) I was very excited. I received over 100 messages and views and requests to meet within a couple of hours! They kept coming for 2 days. Awesome I thought. As I kept reviewing the profiles and messages, everything looked the same and as if it was written by the same person or just a few things were changed, they all looked the same. Oh and about 3/4 of what ended up being at least 200 messages in the end were all decently good looking men which is great but in my age group 50 yrs old, I may not be bad looking but those odds are very unlikely in any scenario.

I also noticed all the profiles I received were as if they were handwritten or hand picked for me from where they were from to wording to my preferences in men (most all looked very similar also). I’ve been on other sites nothing like this ever. I got plenty of messages. Again they all sounded very similar. There was one or two that differed but there were other profiles that matched them also I noticed. Nobody actually scammed me. I didn’t pay anything. I was only on there 3 days. But I noticed in between there were a few other profiles literally saying this same thing and that’s what made me take a closer look. They were mad and said there were problems with fake profiles. And sure enough. I pulled my profile and changed all my info and saved it, I only hope they do not keep a back up of anything. I’m concerned about Identification Theft.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I used to use POF in my twenties and decided I would give them another try. I had a profile for maybe two weeks that I rarely used. One day, I actually browsed and messaged two guys. Went to log back on the next day and nothing worked. Decided to open a second account after multiple password reset attempts to see if it would say my email was registered to someone else. Second account opened no issues which told me they deleted my account. Second account was opened about two hours and off it went again. Deleted. I officially hate this “free” service. I had absolutely nothing vulgar or against company policy on my profile. They’ll keep the catfish and bots but delete a real person's account for no reason. Grade F for fail in everything. They don’t even send an email to let you know they terminated your account. Never again POF. Keep your sleazy men who all mark very ambitious and have a dead end job.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I was so excited when I joined POF! I was overwhelmed with the number of responses I received! But, that excitement didn't last too long. The quality of the men are poor on this site. I received inboxes from guys who didn't want to post their picture on the dating site, but wanted my personal email address or phone number to send me messages. Thank God I'm smart as I realize most of them are frauds and want to send you personal emails, so they can try and sell you a story to con you out of money. I get the impression that this is a "hookup" site. The men whose profile stated they were decent, turned out to be nothing but con-artists, immature little boys playing games and seeking attention, or bootie calls! Their profile states one thing, but when you began to have an intelligent conversation, they seem to become afraid and will run by not contacting you!

Yes, I know that all websites have good and bad, but my goodness the bad definitely outweighs the good and will cause you to become discouraged about using dating websites. Some of us are really serious about finding that special someone and it's unfortunate that we have to weed through so many fake, immature men who claim they want a relationship, but are only interested in attention and game playing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about POF.com?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

In short, met a person on this site who lists "itself" as male. In reality he/she is a hermaphrodite using a male profile to get females interested. He/she uses several aliases in different sites. This person is still married to its 4th wife. He/she poses as a musician and after speaking to him/her for 6 weeks asked me to marry him/her. I realize this seems farfetched but it's the truth. I have gotten rid of many of my possessions to "live" with this person.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

The lack of support, customer service and care of this product is outrageous. A little pride in your site would be nice, just a little. No quality control for who joins. Every day, twice a day I get bombarded with fake likes from sex site members, etc. Reached out to POF customer care, but they don't care, just want your money and customer satisfaction means nothing.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I paid for an upgraded membership three weeks ago. At first, I received a lot of messages. However, that quickly faded away. POF offers 24-hour tokens to "boast" your profile for $1.99/each (or about $60/month on top of paying for membership). In other words, POF promotes your profile if you buy these tokens; otherwise, it is hidden. When I asked POF about this marketing scheme, it did not respond. Numerous users sought to "pimp" me; requesting I contact someone not on POF, providing their email/phone number.

I was also approached by a slew of much younger men seeking a sugar mommy. Plus outright scammers. Lots of fake profiles with cartoons instead of photos. When I repeatedly provided proof of these offenses, POF failed to respond. I requested POF refund my money and filed a claim with my credit card company. POF is under new ownership, Markus Frind. He is not showing any responsibility towards his customers. I do not recommend this site to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I've been on POF for less than a week and have met a person that is real. So far all is good, will see how things progress. We first sent 4-5 emails back and forth, then I ask if we could meet and she stated that it sounded nice and I told her of a place not far from me and we have agreed to meet there.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I had been a long time member of POF & it used to be about the best free dating site out there. Not anymore. There has been a massive influx of scam profiles, some even showing images of hardcore ** & they continue to post these profiles rather than previewing them BEFORE they go live. Apparently, the only thing that will take them down is a member complaint, after they have had time to scam someone. They keep showing up over & over & over again! I got sick of it, sent several emails to "Markus" with a list of urls of obvious scam profiles telling him he needs to take some of the money he got from the Match buy out ($575 million in cash, by the way) & start policing these scam profiles BEFORE they go live.

The result was he (they, whomever) deleted my account with no notice or warning whatsoever! Beyond pathetic!!! On top of that, guess what? Every single profile I pointed out is now gone. I WAS RIGHT but I got booted for pointing it out! Don't waste your money for the upgraded membership or even your time as there is no concern whatsoever for member safety, they expect YOU to do their job policing the site & you run the risk of getting deleted if you do! AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE THAT IT HAS BECOME!!!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

They need to get control over all the spam. Good luck finding any real accounts on there. Spam and sex solicitation is about all you will get. You will not find anyone, because by then you will be too frustrated about going through all the spam and bs accounts.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

My wife and I are separated and divorcing, she placed a profile on POF and from what I understand has been finding guys online. This past week I got a strange phone call from one of those guys. It was a very scary call, in which the guy named David found my contact information and proceeded to tell me that he planned to meet her for a date and ** the ** out of her. I confronted my ex with the information but it appears that she doesn't want to believe me. Most alarming to me was his knowledge of my family, children's names, school addresses, etc. Clearly this guy wasn't very stable and my ex is totally clueless about the type of men that don't care less about woman. I'm waiting for the day I get a phone call telling me that my ex is in the morgue.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I have read that people are finding games and boys on POF. Well duh it's a dating website. You have to filter through the garbage. I met a wonderful man on POF back in 2013. We chatted and met in person. We hit it off real well. We got married towards end of 2014 and have been together since.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I signed up on Plenty of Fish with the best intentions on meeting my other half, I even paid $40 Canadian for the two months upgrade. The first day I was on, I started to get contacted from fake profiles, sex invites, bots everywhere, very attractive and sensual women asking for my email to start a video call. I felt harassed and molested. I reached out to POF to let them know about how disturbed I was, I also asked for a refund. They didn't contact me back. I'm very disappointed. This site has to face all the allegations and to do something about it. They are stealing and nobody has done nothing.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Sad I can't go lower than one star. It seems that a large number of women's profiles are totally fake. The cut and paste pictures are a joke. "Fine dining and world travel" tells me all they are looking for is a fat bank account. The one date I did have the woman talked on her cellphone the entire time we were suppose to be having dinner. I excused myself, paid the bill and left her there still on the phone. Isn't there a decent woman (and I do not mean a Walmart queen) who is seriously interested in having a relationship? So tired of the fakes and outright frauds. It would be nice to meet a lady who has most of her original teeth and does not cut her hair with a bowl on her head. Yes, I get interest from those. I would never recommend this site to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

It is a free dating site, and one expects so many jerks and cons...but I was getting cons like crazy (they would have stated on their profiles they were from the province, we start to text...their # is from the USA, they all have wives that died). Even the men who stated they want relationships...friends with benefits. People who are seriously looking for someone are getting slammed by this, it's hard to look for someone when after a while you don't believe anyone...how can you.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

This site when it first came out was used by a lot of people. It was good for dating and hookups. But then things changed and the admins started to ban any accounts that were sexual. Now it's dead and full of bots. 90% sure half the people there are fake. Just make it look like the site's alive.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I went on this site less than 1 day. When I attempted to respond to people, it would say, "no internet connection" - which was garbage. I'm always connected to wifi. I couldn't see anything, couldn't write anything, couldn't read or respond. So I attempted to cancel my account. All of a sudden, I was off the site, with no way of logging back in. All PW and emails I have no longer work. I went to ask for a PW reset, it tells me the reset link was sent, but nothing came through. I knew I wasn't kicked out, because I continued to get messages but couldn't open the app!

So I deleted the app completely off my phone. I've been trying to contact them but all numbers you find are no longer in service. No customer service email, nothing. I 100% believe, they kick you out when you want to cancel, don't cancel or delete your account and keep it on for their marketing - which is illegal. They need your approval to use your likeness. As far as I know, I'm still "active" on their site with NO way to cancel or delete my profile; one I attempted to delete in less than a day. STAY AWAY FROM THIS SITE. God only knows what they do with your information!!!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Stay away from POF. It will freeze on you, lag for hours at a time, log you out of your profile all the time, and if you complain to them about it directly, they'll boot you off of their site for asking to fix the problem. Haha they're a joke of a website. They're worse than being cheap!

Original review: July 29, 2018

I found it to be a waste of money keep getting matched up with people from other states and I see on this forum a lot of men are complaining about the woman being too picky. Well that's not complain about the men. Most of them don't want anything serious. It's like Craigslist on the down low. I got a lot of guys to just want to have sex and I clearly say in my statement I want something serious. At least try for something serious. I got a lot of men that told me I was too fat which is fine. He like what you like but you really don't need to tell me that. Just don't reply to my flirt. The first response that I got was, "Hey beautiful want to have sex?" I've tried several different dating sites and I've only gotten proposition. No one asked me for a date. A real date. I'm not blaming Plenty of Fish but they at least could have better filters.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I would give POF no stars if I could. I will never ever use POF again. Very displeased on many levels. Felt mislead in buying a membership to use "premium features" definitely not worth upgrading. At the end of my membership I went to the account settings to make sure that the renewal box was not checked. However, they renewed anyway and it took some searching before I found a way to contact and ask them to give me a refund. I was waiting for a reply and found a response, that ended up in my spam folder. Was told that my "membership" was not refundable. Very unethical business practices.

It has only 2 options for sexual identify - straight or gay/lesbian- It felt like a watered-down version of Tinder (one person after a few messages asked if they could come over). I also was contacted by a few scammers who wanted to communicate offline and quickly deleted their profiles. As well as a few other negative interactions i.e. finding out on first date they were married and someone whose photos were at least 10 years old. I highly recommend that you DO NOT use this site.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I've been on this site for about a month. Suddenly out of nowhere, last night I had trouble logging in. The site kept saying my username or password were incorrect (they're NOT). I clicked the "forgot password" link and was told I'd receive an email to reset my password. I never got it - was not in any Spam/Junk folder. I tried clearing my cache/cookies, didn't make a difference. Someone suggested turning off your VPN/proxy (I'm using my desktop), but that didn't work either. I found a customer service email address, sent them my complaint, and again never heard back.

I guess they just don't care. I'm glad I don't have a paid account with them; still there are several guys I started communicating with that are probably wonder what happened to me since I can't log in no matter what I do. I wish I'd seen all the negative reviews of this place before I bothered creating an account over there. I wish I could give them 0 stars. Heck I wish there was a way to report them. I am thoroughly disgusted.

Original review: July 19, 2018

Read this entire review so you know the WARNING SIGNS to look for. My experience with POF was everyone that I communicated with was nothing but a scammer. I worry that human trafficking might be part of this. One guy's profile is looking for females who want to fly out on weekend to get away. Do not fall for it. If you do then don't think you will be coming back. Better say goodbye to your family. Just Google what human traffickers get per head. In my opinion I can say that I believe POF is up for reasons other than a dating site. Every single person on this site has the same MO. Every one of them did the same thing to me.

When I first put up my profile, I did not have a picture right away and before I could get on the site I had over 10 messages. This happened prior to me finishing my profile. Prior to me hitting submit. Shocking when one guy liked my smile...No picture. What does that tell YOU? WARNING SIGNS: • Career Most Used: Engineer, Architect, Geologist, Construction and Service men. 9 out 10 were Engineers. How is that? • Born in other countries – This is done for several reasons. Read below. • Their looks or voice do not match up with their native country Nor does their name. • They work all over the country. • Wife passed from tragic death. • Tells you they have accent. • Child with nanny. • Provide you with their birth date. In hopes you will follow and do the same. Yes, I got that from a guy but who knows it could be a women behind it. You never know. • Sad story telling. • Try to involve you with their job, they will say they need your help.

• Leaving out of the country for work with a week of communicating with you. • They're from another county to explain away their accent however, one guy tells me he is from France and his mother is Peruvian but his accent was Nigerian. (You get the picture). • Use language such as I love to kiss and hold hand, do you like public intimacy? Do you like passionate kissing? You are so beautiful that you are the one to get me off POF. Words that are never used by men in general. It’s to entice the weak. Please don't let that be you, real men/women do not talk like that which means they are a smooth talker. Learn to pick up on the signs.

• Uses texting only or email. They do not want you to hear their voice. They are operating out of the county or they are married. It's best to call the number and hear the person you are communicating with or see if the number comes from a text messaging service. It will tell you. • Emails a lengthy profile. Men and women just do not do that. These are scammers trying to get as much information out of you as they can. The theory is If they provide information you feel obligated to provide the same. What happens when they work out of town, they have an emergency, they get mugged or something bad happens to pull on your heart strings and then ask for money.

I was able to learn all of this in just a couple of weeks on POF. It was the same thing over and over. The best thing I can offer is "listen to your gut", that is your mother know best gut talking. I really do hope this helps many and maybe get law enforcement to act on these sites. The other thing that I noticed and the reason I am suspicious of POF. All of the men that contacted me were not in the search engine. Nowhere to be found except in my email. I guess POF allows people to hide their profile but respond to other profiles. Why does POF give this much power away if it does not benefit them in some way? POF requires you to post a picture or the profiles is removed but there are many profiles without pictures. WHY? My sister is having the same issues on Facebook.

Original review: July 15, 2018

I "met" two men from this website and started corresponding with them. Gave them my e-mail and was thinking that maybe one of them would be really the one. They were both away in Europe on business, one in Greece, one in France. Anyway, before they could come back to Colorado, one needed $8000 and the other one needed $1000 for some business related issue. I said, "Absolutely not!" I reported them to POF, and then immediately unsubscribed.

Original review: July 5, 2018

POF is just not dealing with the people trying to scam money from you. One guy posed as a military guy who wanted my bank info. Reported him. Then a guy who wanted me to send him Steam credit cards. Reported him. He had me contact him on WhatsApp. The image is the dialog of his scamming and me calling him out. Reporting is useless. They just make new accounts and start all over again. Bye POF.

Original review: July 1, 2018

* * * Warning!!! Warning!!! Warning!!! Warning!!! * * * Do not use this website or any others operated by Match Group, Inc.!!! This company has, and continues to be, the subject of countless class action lawsuits in the U.S., Canada, and all over Europe. They have settled a shocking amount of lawsuits for committing fraud (I.E., Fake profiles, fake messages, spam bots, fraudulent billing practices, lying about cancelling memberships, lying to consumers, etc.).

They insulate themselves from external contact so you are unable to complain. If you reach out to them online, you will immediately find that they will send you generic e-mails (I.E., "Thank you for contacting us", "your feedback is important", etc. ), But they will not assist you in any way with actual problems. They make it impossible to contact them in any other way - if you have any doubts about these statements, just try for yourself and see what happens.

Aside from class action lawsuits, consumers have gotten no responses regarding claims, requests for refunds, reports of fraud, etc. The only reason that any laws exist for this service are due to extensive class action lawsuits which they lost over and over; and the only laws that protect consumers from this company's fraudulent business model are in Canada, Europe, and states in the U.S. where suits were already won. They have a legal policy of only protecting consumers in states and countries where they have been forced to by the courts and extensive legal settlements.

Pay attention to the negative reviews and see how many positive reviews you can find out of thousands... you may be surprised at the stories, comments, and complaints that you find, and wonder how they still operate in the U.S. They even got caught using the profile of a deceased U.S. Soldier. This company is a disgrace, do not trust them or you will regret it. Don't just believe me, see what all of the other people who have reviewed them have to say and decide for yourself.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Let's start with I am not computer literate. Found hard to navigate site, was only on it a few days, then for no good reason they dropped me... couldn't sign on, using correct name and password, but they kept saying wrong password or user name. No place to call for help, just kept going in circles! Tried to reset a dozen times, no luck. Called my ISP for help, finally found e-mail in my spam folder saying my membership (I had Upgraded) was in process of being refunded, thank God, but I have NO IDEA WHY! I didn't use any vulgar language, sexual things, nothing I said that was prohibited in their rules that would get me kicked off.

I am going to go places where I may meet a nice person in my age bracket such as a senior center, church, ask everyone I meet if they know someone who might like to start a relationship. Don't want a bar-hog, hear that grocery stores are a good place but these damned computer web-sites are a total waste of time. Friends tell me I will have better success on Facebook, and that is TOTALLY FREE!

Original review: June 22, 2018

This site should have their license revoked. They are a scam. They pressure you into buying an upgraded account and as soon as you do, miraculously you start getting SEVERAL responses from women and even a couple of hours of conversation with them. What's funny is that the stats tell you someone just viewed you but when you look at the person's profile who claim they viewed you IT SHOWS THAT THEY NEVER VIEWED YOU! During this phase it tells you that your profile is on fire. After the couple of hours are over, no more communication and the profile pics change. I've had much better luck on MATCH.COM and that's where I'm going back. POF HELP CENTER is A SCAM!!!

Original review: June 16, 2018

POF seems to have very strange priorities. They're very obsessed with blocking out any form of sexuality, o much so that they edited a guy's profile because he mentioned bartending and cocktails, which they turned into **. Yet, they don't seem to have good control over their own coding and settings. Despite a setting saying I only want to be contacted by local people, I keep getting messages from people in other parts of the country. Unless I slept through a bunch of earthquakes, Florida and California definitely aren't within the 75 mile limit on my contact filters. Even though they obsess over **, there are still plenty of ** pictures. Clearly, they don't have their act together. E for effort, though... and P for prude, too.

Original review: June 13, 2018

When you sign up for the free version, you will be barraged with emails informing you that this one and that one wants to meet you, viewed your profile, faved you, etc. They will tell you a user's specific name as well... but then you cannot look up the user by the name. But then, to see who the people are that faved, want to meet, viewed ya, etc, POF will tell you that it is required to buy a membership. I ain't losing my mind, I bought a membership and then suddenly, there were no one viewed me, no who wants to meet me people, no one faved me, etc.

So the bottom line: POF sends fake emails to make you think people are already interested, etc, just so that you will buy a membership. After buying a membership and realizing that all the emails from POF had links which when clicked on lead to nothing, I emailed and asked for a refund. They did not ask me why or if anything was wrong. They promptly refunded me. My messages to them for technical support or an understanding of the site were not answered at all.

POF.com expert review by Mark Brooks

POF.com, also know as Plenty of Fish, is the largest completely free online dating site.

• No Charge: While there are upgrade options available to further enhance your experience, POF.com is the largest dating site that allows you to have a completely free dating experience.

• Profiles may include several photos: Users can provide photos of themselves in various settings as well as both full-length photos and headshots to provide the most accurate information about themselves for potential matches.

• Advanced behavioral search algorithm: Along with allowing members to perform basic or detailed searches, POF also reacts to the profiles you choose to click on. In future searches, it will then refine your results by bringing you results that match both what you are asking for and what you are looking at.

• Anonymous email network: Users can email potential matches through POF.com's own messaging service, allowing them to keep their identities and contact info private until they are ready to share it.

• Profiles are screened before being posted: POF.com staff screens profiles and photos before posting to ensure only appropriate information makes it onto the site.

• Best for: People looking for long-term relationships, people looking for short-term relationships, and people looking for a large dating pool.

Profile picture of Mark Brooks
Mark Brooks Online Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.

POF.com Company Information