POF.com

Compare Online Dating Websites & Services

Research top Online Dating Websites & Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Somehow, I was inadvertently manipulated to the POF 'extended profile' area where they asked a few questions and next thing you know, they had cornered me into agreeing to sign up for the extended profile option. I swear, I did not know anything about what I was getting myself into, but before I could blink, I had agreed to pay for a year's membership. Now, you may say I am gullible or whatever, but I lost my job in December and I currently have no job nor an income. Now you would think that I would be careful about options that I choose for charges that I do not want, but they are very clever and one must be very, very careful about what you choose when they ask questions. Questions that lead you into agreeing and signing up for something you don't want. It cleverly goes through your iTunes account where POF is released of the responsibility. But believe me, they were very clever and cunning when they lead me down this road.

Before I know it, I had signed up for a year's worth of extended profile crap. Which of course I did not want because I have no income because I was laid off on my job in December. I do not have an income so why would I willingly agree to something I did or do not want??? They are very clever and tricky. But here's the thing... just try to find a way to cancel that SOB. They make it extremely difficult to even find the links to get to the place where you can cancel your stupid year membership=to the tune of $107.97/year. That is money that I do not have. Esp not having an income or job.

So to cancel this SOB, I had to go to iTunes and get on a chat session with someone who finally agreed to cancel my 'subscription'. This whole procedure took me 3 hours. The iTunes girl told me it would still take 3-4 business days for it to cancel through my bank. The whole incident was inconvenient, full of trickery and manipulation. Then, to resolve it, was almost impossible. I would never ever recommend signing up for POF's extended profile option. They will steal you blind if you don't know what you are doing!!! They are full of lies and trickery!

Couldn't log in-went to the web for customer service phone # 8773453847. Was Indian speaking agent stating someone in New Mexico stole my profile and in order to delete his account I would have to purchase an apple iTunes card for $100 and call him back with the confirmation #. He said his name was Jerry **. An Indian named Jerry??!! Super Scam People!!!

Well, been on the site for a couple months - then, as soon as I do not log in for a few days, I started getting many, and I mean many, like 5 to 10 in a day and sometimes 3 or 4 right after each other "So and So Wants to Meet You" emails in my Gmail inbox. "So and So Wants to Meet You." Over and over and up to 10 to 15 per day. I figured out a way to see who it is, just do not log on and do a Username search for whose name was in the email and bingo that person's profile appears. So, you do not have a be an Upgraded Member or pay extra to see who wants to "Meet You". POF will try to get you to pay to do this which is for free if you know how.

Secondly, after an absence for a few days, the so and so wants to "Meet You" start appearing (LIKE ABOVE). Every time you try to write back, and I mean every single time, you get the message "So and so only take messages from certain users..." Moral of the story-- You will get fake emails in your Gmail inbox for "So and So wants to meet you". Why, POF wants to keep you hooked on the site or pay for an Upgrade. ONLY believe directly written emails from people who appear in your POF inbox.

POF must be a joke. As soon as I was on there three scammers surfaced real fast. Hard to believe. Asking for money right away. Since then I have been receiving bogus, 'get to know me' messages. I have not dealt with them for a long time. Russian, who knows what else. They are also discriminatory and chose the age groups one can contact. That is quite a nasty if you ask me. I am not trolling for children but I do prefer to make my own decisions. Nope, these people have a parochial attitude that is disgusting. And the women have been on the site for literally ages. They are not interested in mutual correspondence at all. Mind games mostly.

I've been on and off POF for about 2 years. In this time I find that most of the women on this site just want a free meal or looking for someone to support them. I find that most of the women don't read your profile. They just look at your pictures. Then there are those that don't look anything like their profile pictures. My thing be upfront about who you are and what your intentions are and allow me to decide if I want to travel down that road. Ladies if you're looking for real you have to be real yourselves.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about POF.com?

I was on the site for a couple yrs. Met some nice guys no love connections, but one day it logged me out and wouldn't let me log back in. Then come to find out from a friend my profile changed, pics of someone else was put in my profile. These people are a bunch of scammers.

I've been on POF now or 6 months and in that time I have been lied to about who the person is I am talking to. The last time he asked for money to be sent to South Africa we had talked for a week. This is becoming very frequent on here, the profiles are not who they say they are. Your site is being hacked by these people preying on the innocent. I have text, address and voice recordings of this person. Something needs to be done to stop this bad behavior. There are many out there and I plan to letting everyone I know about my horrible experience with your site.

I received an email from this bogus group saying I had been added to this stupid POF site. I did NOT request this. I tried 5 or 6 different phone numbers and not one worked. They make it impossible to contact them, just stupid recordings. I also tried the email, no luck. It is illegal to add a person to something like this without their permission. I am writing a letter to them to cancel my name and password from this site. I would like to know who to contact to stop them from doing this.

It seems all too ironic, that I had very nice conversations with two ladies; then the messages from the first one disappeared; and nothing on the site when I logged in, after getting an email notification. I've only been on this site a month, and it seems to be filled with scammers, **, and the like. This site was highly recommended, and that is the only reason I got on in the first place. Pretty despicable way to do business... And like I said, all too ironic. I would be inclined to dismiss the first lady as "just one of those things"... Although having serious doubts about that thought process. But after the second... Nah, this is some kind of ugly cyber BS game. At this juncture, I wouldn't recommend this site to a slimeball player! And after reading the negative reviews on the alleged Upgrade joke... Go POF yourselves!!

This site, like 99% of all dating/hookup sites, is a complete RIP-OFF!!! One of two things, or both, are going to happen on this site: You'll meet a chick off this site and find she is ** crazy and just needed a good ramming, because NONE of the females on here play with a full deck or you'll get loads of spam from those bs hookup sites that falsely advertise as THE best dating site on the internet when they aren't dating sites at all.

I have been an idiot TWICE with POF. Both times that I have given this site a chance, the same crap happened: looney chicks that post a false profile and only want your money and a few good rounds in the bedroom or hotel, and then loads of spam mail. What is sad is that a lot of the girls on POF hate you one minute, then about a week or two later they all of a sudden are interested in you. GTFO! I even had a chick-with-a-** contact me!! Ooooohh I'd have gone to prison!!!

Now from the ladies' point of view. In my 2 plus years on POF, all I wanted was a nice guy to spend time with, but what I found is there are no nice guys on this site. A lot of these male genders have a criteria a woman must meet, And romantic, seriously? Their idea of romance, is letting you drink your coffee before they start grabbing at any and everything. And let's not forget about your routine. Really, different one every night, are you boys comparing your toys. Most men wouldn't know a good woman if she walked up and hit him with a concrete block. You want arm candy, someone to make you look good. How dare you tell women you don't date a woman who is a bit overweight, you are not Greeks Gods yourselves. Won't date unless your 30 or under, really? And how about the 60 plus men who are raising small children, I've done my time.

And mostly I see these same men who are overweight, telling me I am too big, Oh I could go on and on, but I will tell you. 3 of these guys did all their playing around, then guess who they called when they could not find a good woman. Found out the grass isn't always greener on the other side. So let's talk about who's playing games. I will say, yes I am over on what my weight should be, but I will feed you. No I am not blond, but I won't run around on you either. And no, there are lots of women nicer looking than I am, but I don't want your money, house or cars. I wanted someone to love and take care on, to pamper, and feel you are the best thing that ever happened to me. So before you lay out your criteria and want just the 10's, you may be missing a lot more than you will ever know... THINK ABOUT IT. Overall, the company and employees rate a 5 star, it's the people on the site.

This site is a joke. Not only is it the worst site ever. They have upgraded to douchebag status. They now charge you a 12 mo fee. right off the top. The contacts is BS and the It is just the worst. My advice is meet and fall in love the old fashion way. Chance encounters. Billing practices suck. The Whole experience left me with a bad taste in my mouth...

I've read a lot of these reviews and will get right to the point. I have been a member of many different online dating sites including POF for over two years. I strongly recommend against POF! Don't waste your time or money. In every way it is worse than Match, eHarmony, OkCupid, and Zoosk.

Don't like the POF site. They say the site is free. It's not if you don't get a membership within a short period of time you cannot log on, I met one female from the site she was friendly, but the relationship ended fast when her mom got cancer and she had no time for a lasting relationship. Other females were rude, asking me to send them money or see private parts of my body, in the dating world be prepared to get mentally hurt. I think the POF site sucks personally.

From the men's side like most dating sites full of women that are 3's, thinking they are a 10, that wouldn't know a good man. So have your party boys, women outnumber men 4:1. I will find a good woman somewhere else. Second complaint: Full of scammers, I had 4 in one weekend. They post a picture of some good looking female, one picture. An incorrect age, later saying it's a mistake. Immediately ask for full name, email address and sometimes home address. One after a while claimed her family was going to kill her over gold bars, sent pictures of so-called gold bars. Offered me 40%, and wanted all my contact information.

I called her/him/it out then they blocked me. Another one sent a loop of video of a well endowed woman and stated that the chat was not working correctly. Wanted me to send money for as she/he/it called it "lady things" - and on and on. One claimed to be from California but gave me a Georgia address, others where in Ghana with "a sick relative". So tire of this BS and POF does nothing to stop scammers, investigate scammers. And the women...Guys we are worth more than that, no one has the golden kitty. If I wanted a Psycho I would go back to the abusive, mentally ill ex, that abused me and my kids, until I took them away. I know what I am worth.

Men on this site do not seem to be looking for real and long lasting relationships. Most are looking for one night stands and are financially unstable and have a lot of problems in one area or another.

This site is free and that's the best thing about this site. But almost everyone I went on a date with lied and/or was a throwback fish (carp ** fish) and most of the women on this site a liars and completely phony. I was lucky I found a beautiful lady on another site.

For those of you who do not know, POF change their Policies. They have the right to share your profile with other dating sites that are governed by Match. Since they have done this, the scammers on this site have tripled. When I report them, they do nothing and do not take the down. There are so many predators out there now playing on the heartstrings of the lonely and unassuming. "Newbies" BEWARE! NEVER give out any personal information such as your email address or telephone number. If they are real, they will meet you in a public place. I know many people prefer to speak on the phone first... but that is giving out personal information. If the profile sounds too good to be true... run! scammers lay it on really thick to capture the love starved lonely people out there!

When POF decides to start charging men so we can get a better quality please let me know. I really don't want to talk to someone who is 20 years older than me or someone who is incarcerated in jail. Are you kidding me. Since when did they allow people who are in jail to have a phone?? Not to mention the amount of married men on here or men already in a relationship looking for a piece of **. The liars on here are amazing to me. They put pictures on here from 20 years ago. Not to mention the predators that are looking for someone to take care of them. Let's not forget those who set up people that ended in the end of someone's life. This website should be shut down and should be investigated.

I met 2 married liars and 3rd person called me 10 minutes before we were supposed to meet to say he was too drunk and needed a ride, hung up and gave up on online dating. Being a widow I was leery of online dating and catfish and found out quite fast it is not the way for me to meet people. My neighbor's son and daughter married people they met on PlentyOfFish.com and he is dating a woman out of state that he met thru the site so it does work for some people.

Great site to go out on dates meet friends, but there are dirtbags on there too!! It's a lot of guys on there that play games and are liars though no fault of the site they are on there in droves... Keep that in mind pay attention to what they are saying maybe read between the lines and have fun. GREAT SITE FOR DATING.

Got an email from POF that an investigation was being done as my site had been hacked. I never heard from them again after sending two emails. I tried again tonight and still couldn't get on.

So I had been on and off of POF for a few years. In the beginning the site was alright. I met a few people on it nothing really panned out normal. As of the last 2 years POF has made it harder to talk to anyone or even see who was interested in me. They made that impossible. Without paying and even then I don't it would have changed much.

As of the past year I have been getting dinged with "someone wants to meet you" messages. 99.5 % of the time it's a fake profile that is deleted right after I get the message. That was the first thing that started making me mad. The second they would not allow me to message one and if by chance I did get a message I was not able to read it unless I paid. I don't feel comfortable giving this site money as to the amount of fake profiles I would. Most likely have to fish through if this site is even real dating site any more and not just a place for people to advertise webcam sex sites. I would never recommend this site to anyone ever. Worst waste of time ever.

If you are stupid enough to put your credit card information and use it in this company's website you really run the risk of losing all of your money. I was fortunate enough to not lose any money because I didn't enter any credit card information into their sorry website. I have reported and sent them screenshots and images of malware attacks coming from their site and their site only any time I click on a profile of one of these women about three or four pages into their photos I get all the sudden pop ups telling me that I won an iPhone or that I've been selected for a prize or this or that and it's all viruses it's all malware and I'll save the URLs for them and emailed it to ammonia fish and their response was they do not care. They don't have the time to investigate it. If your money gets stolen they won't care. Do not use this website.

I like that it's free but that gives it the reputation as a hookup site and that means that not everyone is actually looking to be in a relationship. I just use the site to look at profiles and waste time.

The site is seeded with a lot of women that don't really exist. When you sign up they tell you all these women that's in your area to meet and after you've paid your money you find out there's very little women in your area that it really exists on the site and the ones that do exist live so far away and their expectation is so far off considering what they bring to the table.

I Really Love and Appreciate POF.com giving female members the choice to limit what age range of males gets to write to her since there's nothing more gross and disgusting than having a delusional old man or any pervert or any man more than 7-10 yrs older write to me. However now that choice has been modified so that these delusional ugly old frogs can now write to a female on second try after already being denied the first time. It's a female choice not to hear from an old age range. It makes me want to vomit to see an old man more than 8-10 yrs older especially over 40, write to me.

I hope they revert to original option that again, a female has chosen herself not to allow a man over a certain age to write her and only allow a certain age range to contact her. A woman has a right to this choice and no delusional old frog who needs to stick to his own age range should be allowed to change this. I also appreciate POF not allowing anyone to write anything in a subject line as bitter rejected men have used this to insult women after being rejected.

This is my experience with POF. The site was down, {would not load} for me for OVER 45 days. Got an email from them 2 days ago, "Come see us again, we have a "Token" for you." That was BS. The site did allow me in as a MEMBER but when I click on the "token" POF said I had to pay for it??? POF is also down today. And before some asked me to "disassemble," upgrade, reboot, or change my system or setting, ALL of that was down 30 days ago when I tried and failed to have POF load. So don't offer ANY fixes to me, Just call POF and offer them the fixes. So POF is, to me: unavailable, unreliable, unpredictable, unprofessional, poorly managed, none existent CS, a waste of time & money and more. I also heard "Match" bought them and it is my hope the purchase works out for Match and they did not pay more than $12.00, because the site is so poorly rated and it will NEVER be otherwise.

I have had 2 accounts over the past 3 years with POF. The first account I deleted as 6 of the first 7 people I had contact with turned out to be ** scammers. I verified the pictures that were used were also reported on the two different Romance Scam sites. I deleted the account but never paid money. That was just disappointment to see so many fake profiles. After getting hit on by a few scammers it becomes easy to spot them. Approximately 2 years go by and I decide to try again living in a small town. I was hopeful for less scammers. I set up my new profile and got approved, answered 2 of the chemistry tests that ask and then find out my account was deleted and does not exist even after I got the approval email. It takes time to write a nice profile. Total waste of time.

Since these dating sites are all owned by Match my guess is they are running the other sites into the ground so people quit using the so-called free version of POF. Even when you do searches you see the same people on the subsequent pages that you already saw. Sounds to me like the site is dying and to make it look more populated they repeatedly show you the same people. Pathetic site with no help or support. Total scam. Stay away if you are smart.

I am an older guy, looking for a GF to date, have fun with. POF pushes you into an age bracket closing off anyone within 15 years. But it doesn't matter because most of the women are fake. I think the site is a fake, just out for victim money. They really are what their url suggests, Plenty OFFISH. ALL the women are plenty offish, alright. No bites, no nibbles, nada. Disgusting ** saying ** men only, who'd want such a woman? Followed their ideas for profile, and was honest. Men probably should LIE. Response rate: zero. Messages UNreturned in every case. Also not a "Free" site, everything pushes a person to get a "premium" membership before you can message anyone. The site almost makes it impossible to communicate with any respondent. All that "matching" stuff is complete nonsense. NEVER give POF a credit card number. I'm gone. Cannot recommend at all.

Expert Review

Mark BrooksOnline Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.    More about Mark→

POF.com, also know as Plenty of Fish, is the largest completely free online dating site.

• No Charge: While there are upgrade options available to further enhance your experience, POF.com is the largest dating site that allows you to have a completely free dating experience.
  • Profiles may include several photos: Users can provide photos of themselves in various settings as well as both full-length photos and headshots to provide the most accurate information about themselves for potential matches.
  • Advanced behavioral search algorithm: Along with allowing members to perform basic or detailed searches, POF also reacts to the profiles you choose to click on. In future searches, it will then refine your results by bringing you results that match both what you are asking for and what you are looking at.
  • Anonymous email network: Users can email potential matches through POF.com's own messaging service, allowing them to keep their identities and contact info private until they are ready to share it.
  • Profiles are screened before being posted: POF.com staff screens profiles and photos before posting to ensure only appropriate information makes it onto the site.
  • Best for People looking for long-term relationships, people looking for short-term relationships, and people looking for a large dating pool.

Compare Online Dating Websites & Services