2.62/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

POF.com

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 14, 2017

240 POF.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I signed up with POF.com in July of 2017. After 3 weeks of dissatisfied options I called and cancelled my subscription. At this time the representative inquired why I was cancelling my subscription at which I advised her of same. She apologized for any inconvenience and we got off the phone. In Sept. my bank statement revealed a withdrawal in the amount of 38.50 at which time I called a second time repeating my expressed dissatisfaction and requested a refund along with an assured cancellation from my account. Then Friday the 13th of October they did it again. I just got off the phone with their customer service who indicated there was no record of me ever calling that she would delete my profile; which the first 2 emails never said anything about and that I'd get my refund within 1 to 10 business days. What kind of scam are these dating sites really about anyway? I guess I will just trust God for a mate and stay away from these sites.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

There's no way to show your profile to only POF users. You can "hide" your profile, but then people can't find you. It defeats the purpose of having an account. That's more for users who just want to take a break. Your information is completely public to everyone on the internet, even if they don't have a POF account. I don't feel comfortable with that at all! Many accounts haven't been active in months, some years! I ran into an account that hasn't been active since 2013. It took me 15mins to realize that this site was more trouble than it's worth, except POF makes you wait 24hrs to delete your account. Seriously? How stupid.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I think it is just the online dating culture period. I have tried Match, Christian Dating for Free, Christian Cafe and POF. They all suck because of these general reasons. Only people with loser personalities (superficial, slobby, stupid, fake, creepy, criminal and insecure) tend to hang out online. It makes perfect sense... They know they can hide behind a computer. If any real person met them in real life they would be rejected immediately. My experiences have been real common with most other men's. Out of the 5 I used I batted .500 I guess. One date from Match and one from POF. The one from POF was alright. One from POF was a nut bag. Most other sites were catfish. The thing you could never get used to was the messages of (don't contact me unless you're a certain age, this, that, whatever.)

I even saw a piece of garbage in my area Gadsden, AL named (Hollen) who wrote this on her profile. Funny thing was, I saw her on twitter and thought hey- that girl is interesting. Then saw her again on POF. Boy, what a shock to find out she was such a loser. Made me glad I had unfollowed her months before. Of course, you get those that are just looking for self-esteem. You know the deal guys... You send them a message then hey they respond. You talk for awhile then when it comes time to suggest a meeting or e-mail exchange... "Ghosted." Of course they are the same ones that are usually overweight. Let me say this, I give those types women a chance... I don't want to be superficial trash like so many on online dating but this is standard behavior for obese women who are just there to have a guy talk to them, even if you give them a chance and agree to a meeting. All the sudden whammo... No more messages.

Had a few instances of sending messages and women first looking at my profile and then deleting my messages without even reading them. Complete white trash behavior!!! I would never dream of doing that to anyone. I did enjoy posting a comment about how Halloween was not here yet you can take your mask off. She did read that and did not get the humor as she wrote in response Huh! Dumb, Dumb! Then POF lies to you immediately every day by saying you have a "mutual match" "who is interested in meeting you." Of course you send a message only to find that they really are not as they don't reply or have not logged on for months. What CRAP!

I had a two-month subscription paid that I was smart enough not to renew (payers be careful). They have automatic renewal so go into your account settings and TURN IT OFF or you will be charged past the time you delete your account. I had a plan to just keep a profile up and attend events or host them in my area of Gadsden or Birmingham. I took an hour or two just to review all profiles in these locations. I realized I would not ever meet anything but trash if I met these people in person and made the glorious and triumphant decision to just DELETE everything and get on with my life. Bye losers... And thanks for the memories!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

This "dating" app is complete garbage. I'm reading other review saying "the men on here are fake" or "men are just looking for one thing". It's the same on the other end. I have matched up with women who are either here to scam others or sell their bodies. I've had this app for 2.5 years now and have not meet one good or real female one here. This dating app is a waste of time, even for being free.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

First off I am a real person from Memphis, TN. I said Memphis lol no one really wants to live in Memphis these days, I don't. Anywho, I am writing this because I was on POF like 4 years ago. I was bored and just wanted to pass time. I was about to get off (cancel page) because the females on there just wanted to be seen and not heard UNTIL I saw her. I can't remember who reached out to who 1st but it was probably me that reached out because she was on there just for the games. Once we started talking I learned that her conversation was great. Eventually we hung out with each other and we enjoyed each other’s company.

That was almost 4 years ago, fast forward to TODAY (10-5-2017)... in 10 days we will have our 1 year anniversary of marriage. Yes we got married on 10-15-2016. Damn, I got her birthday on the 10th and anniversary on the 15th, oh well. Never let someone tell you you can't find love on the internet. It’s very possible! I'm a living witness. I met my wife on POF that’s why they get 5 stars.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about POF.com?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I wish I could say I was happy with this site, but I'm very disappointed. I joined POF.com hoping to find a future partner/husband. Many men on this site lie about what they are looking for. A lot put "want a relationship" as their status, when all they want is sex. I clearly stated on my profiles "looking for someone to marry" or "want a relationship", but I found myself used by some of the "men" on there. Not happy, as I had developed feelings for these guys. Unfortunately, these people mislead a lot of women. I was serious about finding someone, but I'd rather be single forever than have to deal with another letdown.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

Let me start by saying this company is a scam. I only gave 1 star because I had to. Many years ago when I was in this site everyone that I meet only wanted one thing and the one person that seemed genuine ended up being a fraud himself. Maybe it was pure bad luck on my part but a friend of mine was also on POF and was swindled out of $10,000. Now 10 years later my brother started using this site still claiming they are free. While he was on their site something popped up saying buy chips to put your message at the top so he bought $2 of chips and they took the $2 from his account.

When my brother wrote the company (Markus) I do believe and said he wanted them to be aware that he has had several woman pretend to be someone and then these woman try to get money from him. He went on to say anytime someone would give him her phone number it would automatically block them from speaking to each other and that he will not use the site anymore. That day they pulled $40 from his bank account. I was with him the whole time and he never authorized this.

What kind of company claims they are free then charges for fake upgrades and then continue to take money whenever they want. I understand they have to make money to keep the site up but why be so dishonest about it. It has been proven to me that this site is a gateway for people to pretend to be someone they are not and predators (from my experience) from other countries to scam naive victims that are looking for love. If you do not believe me then go ahead and give it a try. I hope you don't fall victim to any on these horrible people not to mention the dishonesty of the company itself.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

This site is filled with romance scammers. Do a photo check before communicating on Google Image Search or TinEye. One will be surprised what one finds. Also, the other problem were men who were sick or handicapped looking for a free caregiver.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

My experience with this company was very good since, I enjoy all the tools they offer to me to make my own date and meet more people that I want to know to go out. I think this company offer good quality in their services. I consider this page very good and all their staff have great knowledge about all the things we need to know.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

POF.com is free and safe. They have covered all areas from where they live, what they like to do, what they look like, their ages, their careers, and educational life. POF.com gives you the option of taking to who you want and block out if you feel uneasy. We have plenty of chatrooms. You can talk one-on-one or you can talk in groups and you can go incognito where you're just off the map for a little bit. I have meet a lot of interesting people. I like it. It takes a questionnaire to sift through people then makes matches then shows you pictures to allow you to pick through the ones you want, give you the option how close they are to you. I'll enjoy this site is a very hopeful and helped me be very social. Overall, they are on top.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I like how Plenty of Fish is simple, fun and interesting. Profiling was easy. It's easy to navigate and to set up your profile and some of the users are actually pretty interesting people. But I don’t feel like POF understands my complexity when pairing me with matches. My overall experience was pretty good, but I doubt I will be finding my forever match through POF. I dislike how Plenty of Fish users use the site mostly as a hook-up site and not for the purpose of finding their forever mate. I believe the site needs to weed out these people so the site can live up to its potential.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

POF.COM is One Of the Worst. I closed my account after 3 months. I liked that it was a free service. However, the old adage of "you get what you pay for" rings true. If you spend nothing you get nothing. Sadly I seemed to only be matched or contacted by men who were seeking only sexual encounters. Nearly all the messages I received were inappropriate despite a CLEAR profile stating what I was seeking... NOT sex! I would refine the search criteria. While you can be matched to people local to you it seems you are ONLY matched by that component alone. If they had a way to match people based on mutual interests it might be better to use.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

The website was okay but not all that great. Also, there are better sites out there that don't charge like they do and have quality people out there. It is easy to view people but they just want to expose and take advantage of people and be real for real people. It would be nice to have real quality and I wish they would stop the meat market and have quality people that are real with jobs and worth dating. Also, something with real women and tasteful people and something worth actually being a part of and wanting to use.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

POF.com was alright and completely free. Paying to find someone is a major deal breaker for me. Dating is already expensive enough and a person shouldn't have to pay to find the one they're going to date. Overall, I made some good friends. However, there should be a better way to match compatibility. Maybe more personality quizzes; likes, dislikes and a distance meter on how far they are willing to go to meet someone.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

Plenty of Fish is for any and everybody that want to meet the love of their life. A lot great people in the process and I will do it all again if I had to. I learn a lot from the site. It the best site ever and I love it a lot.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I used POF years ago. It was a good experience, fun and easy. I met some guys that I dated for a while, I also met some guys that I became good friends with and am still in touch with today. There were lots of different people on the site. I also like that my profile is still there and I can keep it inactive till I'm ready to use it again. The site is easy to use and update. It is fine the way it is.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I paid to join thinking I would get better service. You do not plus no one to call & they only answer questions from a format but nothing helpful. Plus they sell your information as I rarely got spam in my email maybe two a week & now I get ten to twenty or more a day. They say someone wants to meet you but what you find is many times they are from another state or more than a 100 miles away. They demand you to pay even more by buying tokens to send your own pictures or any attachments. So stay a non paying member as it is not worth the cost 51.00 dollars for 4 months. Watch for the scammers too! POF yes we paying customers are the fish. I think they call that a sucker fish.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

Plenty Of Fish is a dating website for people who prefer to meet a date online, but I prefer to meet in person. I had too many choices but I didn't trust none of the profiles that I viewed. Also, I began to wonder if their profiles were correct, why would the men pursue someone online. Most of the men were unattractive. However, I would like to post a dating application on this particular website. Challenging, unbelievable, daring.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

It was all very easy and rewarding and I enjoyed being able to be matched with people from all around the world as well as close by my area of existence. I also enjoyed the variety of matches computed for my personal wants and needs in a partner. I was satisfied with the time and quality of matches. My profile was also kept private upon my preferences. I just would like to be able to communicate more freely with possible matches and also to view profiles in more depth.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

POF.com was great. It was so easy to make an account. And it was even more easy to meet people without having to really meet them at first, and it's kinda like a pre interview. I met my current boyfriend and him and I are planning on getting married. It really shocked me that this could happen on a dating website. The best part I wasn't even on the site for a full day and I really met someone. Overall, I am really happy with how everything turned out. Hell I'm with a great guy that I would have never met without this site.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Mediocre but not too bad. I like that POF has more of a social media feel to it as opposed to a dating site. I kind of feel like I’m using Facebook or Myspace. It’s different than other dating sites. The customization was okay, I would prefer it to be better. However, I didn't find it too useful for me. I got a lot of people I wasn't interested in sending me messages and I noticed it was a little difficult to get a response back as well. I just wish the matching aspect was a bit more spot on. I feel like I could be missing out on a good match because of this.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I dated using Plenty of Fish for five (5) years. Met lots of interesting guys. A few were nice, just not for me. One was a REAL con artist, having used several women to acquire money, property, jewelry, automobiles. Most of the rest ran the gamut: Felons who should have still been inside; illiterate guys who couldn't form coherent sentences; guys with lots of children by different women; men in my age group (45-50) with young children; men who said they wanted long-term relationships but were looking for booty calls. Interestingly enough, I eventually met my fiance on Craigslist. Go figure.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

They have no customer service as another reviewer said. I used the, “Forgot password?” function and they never sent an email back. I Googled to get a phone number which was given as 800 252 0044; I tried many times before someone picked up. I just needed them to send an email to change my password. They said I had to be at my computer (I was at work) for them to assist and they told me to call back at 855 255 1999. I did later in the day and against my better judgment, I let them in to my computer to "fix" the problem.

I should have known better. I had a similar experience a couple of years ago when I let someone else remotely access my computer to make it run better. They tried to tell me I had ransomware and my firewall was not working. I knew this was a lie and they put the ransomware on. I told them I knew this was a scam now and hung up. My computer will not open without a password now so I will have to take it in to reconfigure. Luckily I have Carbonite backup but this will still cost me time and aggravation. I am assuming POF does not even know about this. The site has no help or contact numbers.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I like the layout of the app with its easy accessibility to the certain features and navigation to look at potential dates and also the personalized questions that help in making matches sending you those matches. However, I didn't feel like the notifications aspect of this app really applies to my lifestyle. It was kind of sloppy and could use a speedier connection time and some troubleshooting. Overall, it was a different type of experience but it was pretty good. Got to nice guys that seemed to share some same interest in hobbies, movies and other subjects that make us compatible.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I like the variety, easy rejection, and conversation. POF.com was free to use and easy to navigate. However, I disliked the creepy old men and the men who wanted nothing but sex. I disliked the fact that it was very hard to find a decent man, but I finally found one. I read success stories on there and I can proudly say I had success because that is where my husband and I met. I met a lot of losers, but after many, many tries and several dates I finally met the love of my life. Dating sites can work, you just have to be patient and you will find the right guy/girl for you.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I was in POF website for over a year. I met a couple guys that were married and cheating to their nurse wife with night shift. The only thing they are after is sex and money plus, their profile is full of crap, lies, and stupidity. To make the story short, I was about to cancel my account when someone requested to be my friend. I accepted and after a few days talking, I ask him how can I cancel my account so he helped me to close it. Before that, we share our phone number. After a couple of month of talking and dating, we got married. He was an ex-Army soldier. He was the best thing that ever happen to me. Today, we have 4 happy years of marriage.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

So it's free, I know... You get what you pay for! I have found most men who have contacted me on here are not who they appear to be. I would always try to respond when anyone takes the time to contact me. But I could tell by their pictures or their profile or their message to me, that we weren't going to be a match, so I would be polite and wish them the best on their search but knew "I" wasn't their answer. Several of them then became downright nasty so I had to block them. But this just goes to show that I'd made the right decision not to continue to chat with them... I am convinced the only good online dating is one that totally screens both men and women! I'm closing my POF account today!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

POF.com seemed easy to use and I enjoyed meeting up with most people that I chatted with. I had good and bad experiences but all in all pretty good for what the application is. I really like that I can browse and search people that are in my same level of matching. They paired me up with some really great pairs and they really give it all they can to find someone I will connect with. However, I dislike how people were using this app to scam. Seemed a little like a time waster. It was hard to narrow the searches down when random fake people would pop up and I would have to pass them up.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

There is many fraudulent people that act military, or engineers. They befriend you and then after a few weeks try to steal money by asking for help.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

The site is OK cause it's free but the only problem is with these sites people lie! And to really get the full benefit you need to be a paid subscriber.

POF.com expert review by Mark Brooks

POF.com, also know as Plenty of Fish, is the largest completely free online dating site.

• No Charge: While there are upgrade options available to further enhance your experience, POF.com is the largest dating site that allows you to have a completely free dating experience.
    • Profiles may include several photos: Users can provide photos of themselves in various settings as well as both full-length photos and headshots to provide the most accurate information about themselves for potential matches.
    • Advanced behavioral search algorithm: Along with allowing members to perform basic or detailed searches, POF also reacts to the profiles you choose to click on. In future searches, it will then refine your results by bringing you results that match both what you are asking for and what you are looking at.
    • Anonymous email network: Users can email potential matches through POF.com's own messaging service, allowing them to keep their identities and contact info private until they are ready to share it.
    • Profiles are screened before being posted: POF.com staff screens profiles and photos before posting to ensure only appropriate information makes it onto the site.
    • Best for: People looking for long-term relationships, people looking for short-term relationships, and people looking for a large dating pool.
    Profile picture of Mark Brooks
    Mark Brooks

Online Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.

POF.com Company Information