1.81/5

POF.com Reviews

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

399 POF.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Many years ago when it first started out, it was not too bad, and it was FREE, unlike today it's no longer free anymore. Whoever Mark ** is, he don't know the half of what goes on there, they must have paid him off to make his review sound good. Being on the site a couple of times with full profiles and photos, I got squat from the site, except for 16 females who saw me on "Meet Me" and I was notified they all wanted to meet me. Yet I could not look at one of them without Upgrading to $40.00 a month+ and I wasn't going there. Once or twice a week I'd get an email stating I had new Matches...!

These people were "not" my matches, not anything even close to what I would date if met them on the street! I mean freaking ugly old ladies, over-weight, huge bodies, 74 years old! That's not a Match folks...! That's pure B.S! And I'm not going to PAY POF one red cent for that type of service, I'm in my 50s from AZ. and they were sending these matches to me from Tx., NM., with excuse of not enough Matches from local/State Levels, resorting to nationwide search... DON'T GIVE THEM YOUR HARD EARNED $$$$. They're a huge freaking RIP-OFF...

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

There's a huge FRAUD issue here, I received email from user Joy078Page, age of 26, profile that gave me someone’s personal card number info, expiration date and 3 digit ccv number to watch her on vid live sex chat. I was stunned, and amongst the abundance amount of fake profiles, POF does not delete them and uses these fake profiles to advertise out to you to buy their premium account by having these fake profiles say they like your notifications, but you cannot view who they are unless you buy the membership. Aggravations users get having to deal with all this nonsense and POF supports it rather than taking a moral step to temporarily shut down and restructure their dating app. Now, about that card info I received, I screenshot the message with her profile, and I reported it and 12 hours later, message and profile disappeared, but I also messaged that scammer they were reported so more likely the scammer blocked me.

But I feel bad for whoever card number info belongs to and they have to suffer money loss damage. I'm all disappointed how POF aka Plenty of Fake site/app is now, it used to be better. But please take my advice, DO NOT use your credit card info or buy their membership. Their company supposedly is located in Canada, you can easily look up the address, but if they were in my city, I'd be knocking on their door to have a goood talk. Don't sign up on this scammer fraud site, do your research and be better about your dating site/app pickings. You've been warned.

Get expert buying tips about Online Dating Sites and Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

POF.com has absolutely no safeguards and is an ill experience. POF has the audacity to charge for upgrades but no common sense to use a verify system to verify people who sign up?? A simple submit your Drivers License with your photo would do wonders for this site. Instead anyone can sign up with fake photos. There are 100's of Nigerian scammers and men in prison who use this site. POF doesn't care. Not only is this site full of fake profiles, scammers and men in prison but it's full of racists too. Ladies you are better off talking to men in grocery stores or at church or even speed dating. Get off the internet. You will never find anyone "real" and when you do these guys on these internet dating sites don't ever want to meet offline. The type of guys online stay online for years and years until they age out.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I had my POF account for a long time. Recently I reported a guy who kept sending me rude mails. Next thing I know, I can't log into my account. My account got deleted without any explanation! I made a new account with the same info to see I really got kicked off and I was. I was able to make a new account. Then I see the guy who I reported still on POF! I get kicked off and he gets to keep his account? This site has many rude guys so I will be deleting my new account and staying away. POF is a waste of time. You get kicked off for NO REASON!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

SPENT A FORTUNE & THEY KICKED ME OFF! POF is really Plenty of Dogs. I followed the rules and they kicked me off the site because a paying member with bi-polar & manic depression had me kicked off. She stalked me and harassed me until I had to get a attorney to send her a Cease & Desist Order. She then contacted POF and lied to them, had my account permanently closed. She posted fake photos and fake information and they backed her. I had 2 women I really wanted to meet and now I have been cut off from them. This site is NOT worth being on for free and if you pay to use it you are a fool.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about POF.com?

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I was completely happy with POF. I had met somebody we've been talking. Then all the sudden I'm blocked. Will let me update my password. I tried on my laptop computer friends computer...I was blocked. I did nothing one blocked one really crude guy. Why got a new account to find said guy able to find and message then deleted again. What a waste of time and effort. If you are deleting people we should have a right to know why and if it was a petty person who got hurt they should grow up.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Don't start with this company if you might change your mind halfway through. I wrote a tiny bit of profile, then decided not to continue. But POF still send me regular emails promising matches when I have given them almost no information. I have tried the unsubscribe route many times but you just get led in circles with endless questions to persuade you to carry on. How do I make them stop???

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Had an account on there a couple of years. I deleted the account after a while but recently set one up again. However, upon setting it up (with confirmation by email) and spending time on the profile, the account mysteriously disappeared. This happened the second time. I've no idea what's going on with that site but the complete lack of any contact details suggests the site is being allowed to die while the owner (Markus Frind) still makes a mint out the poor ** that still use the site and pay for the 'add-ons'. Avoid the site at all costs.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

This site is free but certain perks you have to pay for. I have tried this site several times but this last time was the worst. I got approached for sex several times and I believe that one of the guys I turned down had my profile deleted. I was talking to someone I really liked and now I can't contact them or get POF to contact me back in regards to why my profile was deleted. I also can't create a new account. Guess it wasn't meant to be. POF if you see this maybe you should monitor people and complaints better!!!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Plenty of shady things going on on this site POF, fake profiles, soliciting going on, lies, did I mention fake profiles lol etc... Beside fake profiles always being solicited for upgrades trying to get more $ out of you. I honestly think they will label members as upgraded in order to get others to do so stating that you get better results and additional privileges and features non pay members don't get! One of their many scams! There has to be lot better out there. NOT recommended. :-(

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I signed up with one of their promos. I then canceled the subscriptions and deleted my account like a week before the promo subscription was over. Six months later I see that POF placed two charges on my card. One for transaction fee and the other was the yearly subscription fee. I quickly contacted POF to return the charges. They were able to return the subscription fee but not the transaction fee. On top of that they have confirmed that my account is still available on file and was not deleted. They informed me that if I wanted the account to be deleted I would need to log back in and follow the steps to delete my account. I have attempted to log in but have not been able to successfully log back in.

I have already attempted to reset the password (which seems to be successful) and still not able to log back in. Every time I log in it gets me error database error that it is not able to find the correct information. Note this is not a page that says it is the wrong username or password. This is a error code from the server saying that it can't find my account and doesn't know what to do and give me a error syntax. I am able to make a fake account and able to log into that and delete it as well with no issue. However my first account will forever be partially deleted with my info on it. They have yet to replied to my emails nor have attempted to delete my account from their system.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

This is not my first rodeo with this experience and if something or someone looks too good to be true...follow your instincts. Lots of crazy men on this site. I have had this experience on Match as well, but this time someone contacted me and we texted and spoke on the phone 1-2x wasting about 4 days. I looked at photos and they were too staged. I checked him out on male scammers site. BINGO. POF you are a disgrace - get people's credential, make people show their photo id and charge more and do research. Why is it also fair that men don't pay and women do? I'm DONE and DISGUSTED. I reported this man and had him blocked on POF. Generally they have either never been married, have no children, or lost their wife. They are generally from another country originally and difficult to understand when speaking on the phone. Very smooth this guy was.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

This site's a joke overran by bots. If I wanted to be in an active relationship with a robot I'd visit my local sex store. The one plus this site does have going for it is when AI gets to the point where it's self-aware, I will be locked and loaded for robo dating. The owners of this site obviously do not care, I would much rather go back to Match aka the EA of dating sites than have to put up with this STD fueled ** that they call a dating site.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

From my experience and research this site is racist against men. I have not seen or heard of any women profiles be deleted. Even in their little rules it's all against men. There is no equal or 50/50. They do not delete the women scammers or bots. They promote them. And if you complain your profile will be deleted, if you're a male like me you can't say nothing or complain. They will not respond. They will just delete you. If you're blocked for no reason they will delete you. And you can never get back on their site, they promote women and don't care about the men, if a women falsely complains or doesn't like you, you will be deleted. They need a good lawsuit against them.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Piece of crap site! Someone hacked my account, used all my info but changed the email and pics. Called support 5 times and kept getting recordings. Office wasn’t open! Closed every day? Very strange, sent 8 emails and still no answer, so basically I’m screwed, some ** is using my info with her pics, lost everything, all my contacts, messages, etc! And they won't do crap to fix it, be careful on this site!!! This site is not legit, no help at all!!!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I have been on this site for ten plus years. Not one msg, "How ya doin'," nothing. I guess I am one of the rejects that many refer to. Hey everyone needs love ;).

Keeping it real... I have sent some msgs. I have had problems logging in. Unknown why they would block anyone. Is that not some form of punishment w/o due process? I would say so. I have never engaged anyone so my chances of being blocked are unlikely like many have said they were. I do think that this site is a waste of time.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I was on POF for 6 weeks. During this time... I was catfished by three different men. Each man claimed to be on business trips out of the country... Capetown, Dubai and West London. Two asked for money within 8 days. GET OFF THE SITE... should have done my research as they have a bad reputation.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I'm recently divorced, as of about 8 months ago. I began using POF beginning in the spring, b/c as a super busy career woman that travels frequently, I thought this would be a great way to meet someone. NO! Stay AWAY. The men I met on this site were either felons, and/or just wanted sex. They were also insane. I had to actually block one guy from texting me, & from all of my social media accounts. POF doesn't verify anything about the individuals that use their site. It's mostly felons, & rejects. I've honestly NEVER experienced worst dating experiences more so than when I tried POF.

I would stay away from this site, it is a complete waste of time, & honestly pretty dangerous. Men expect sex on the first date, felons will not give their last name, most drove cars in poor condition. Then, the majority of the guys I also went out with were really cheap. They didn't even want to pay for the date, but still wanted sex out of it. WTF? I went on with a total of 5 guys over the last 8 months & they were either: Felons, cheap, had really bad breath, completely lied about their profile, expected sex, & other horrible qualities. It's better to use any other site or just wait & meet someone organically.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

This is a letter I received from a user on POF. I am a female and this so-called male initiated contact. After a few days, this is the email I get from him. Mind you, he just "happened" to be out of the country for a week in Greece on business. "Glad to hear from you **. Hope you had a good day. You've been on my mind a lot lately since we started communicating. I can't wait till we finally get to meet in person. I've had a very busy week so far with preparing for my trip home this weekend. Done with business here, now rounding up to leave. I'm suppose to be leaving for the States on Thursday night but there's this fee that I have to take care of before leaving (For the shipping of the products of which I Purchased).

The problem is that My cards are maxed out and I won't have any access to more money until I return to MD. I have to take care of that process in person. (My investment funds) I'll have access to my funds once I'm back in town. That being said, I would be needing a little Favor from you. I don't know if you can help me with about $1,500? You will get it back upon my return this weekend??? I am to make a total payment of $21,150 to them but I contacted my friend back home and he was only able to raise about $19,700. I'm short of $1,500. It really would be of a Great help to me if you can help me with this request of mine.

I promise to pay it back this weekend soon as I get back in town. Do you have the ZellePay App or PayPal or a Western Union Money Transfer store near you? Let me know so that I can provide you with the Info for the transfer. I had a very busy day today. I'll respond to your email in the Morning my time. Can I have your cell #. I'll text you. Do enjoy the rest of your day & Hope to hear from you. ??? Mason???"

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

On day one they billed me the full 8 month membership when I only wanted a 30 paid membership. Three minutes after receiving the confirmation email of my membership I noticed it said $79.92, 8 month membership. I contacted them. To my surprise there was no phone number only email support. But on my bank statement it does show a phone number 888-345-4454. I emailed support 9/14/18 at 8:36pm EST stating under no circumstances would I want an 8 month membership for something that is unproven and exploratory.

On 9/16/18 4.17pm EST, they responded informing me memberships are non-refundable but, they would they would reduce my membership to two or four weeks depending on my preference then provide me with a refund of the difference and remove my card from renewing my account. In order to get some money back I told them reduce my membership to two weeks and provide the refund and remove my card from auto-renewal status. On 9/17/18 9am EST I contacted my bank to file a dispute, they informed me that Plenty of Fish tried to double bill me and they stopped the first one but, the second got through. I told the representative I signed for one month 30 day trial and got billed the entire 8 month membership. My bank reimbursed me all but the one month membership fee. In the interim, I'm waiting to see the refund from Plenty of Fish and as of this date 9/26/18 11:02am EST it has yet to be processed.

If they rendered the refund my bank would rescind theirs. I would have a two month Plenty of Fish membership at that point. However, Plenty of Fish did not follow thru. Surely they didn't think I had recourse to get my money back. Played themselves. As of last night, 9/25/18 I became locked out of my account, so I pulled up my bank statement and called the 888-345-4454 number that was on my statement. The woman answered the phone billing, I explained that I'm locked out of my account and sent an email and have yet to get a response. I also told her that I'm on the Consumer Affairs website reading complaints and a host of people have stated this has happened to them. I need to speak to someone, she went on to say customer support is only available via email and she would reach out to them and have someone contact me. I told her I preferred a call, she was adamant only email correspondence would happen.

As for my time on the site, bots send you request and when you email the person to try and speak with them you don't get a reply. You get a host of women outside of the criteria you've outline in setting up your profile that would interest you. Plenty of Fish is a scam, possibly a husband and wife, boyfriend and girlfriend or group of friends are getting rich off of just as the old Girls Gone Wild scam.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I would receive a lot of "meet me" notifications, which I would come into contact with actual profile at times, and they would not say anything but wants to meet. The few conversations I would have the women would be rude from the beginning conversation for no reason or they would block you as soon as you say hello for no reason. My profile got deleted multiple times. I contacted customer service and on last deletion I was told profile was deleted for suspicious activity when it was a conversation but POF could not deleted the suspicious activity of constant nude or fake profile requests that would flood my notifications.

I would receive more attention from dude profiles than actual women that from profile standpoint we shared many common interest. No matter the woman, she would not seem interested and could easily go weeks without responding and when she would it would be short answer. Yes or no. I would get approached by very old women nowhere near the age range I had placed in criteria. I would get male profiles in my carousel even though I was looking for females. I would comment to customer service but it only seemed to get worse with no response from customer service.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Online dating is typically a failed endeavor for most people, and POF is a spectacular example of why. The majority of 'women' who contact you are actually bots, fake/spam profiles and cross-dressing transexuals. As far as the real women: the attractive/seemingly desirable few are usually belligerently insecure and jaded against men in general, completely negating the purpose of even having a dating profile. Read their pages and you will often see a ridiculous, unrealistic laundry list of criteria and things they will not put up with, simmering with anti-male sentiment and statements like 'Real men only, no time for losers' or something similarly abrasive and condescending. Good luck getting a response at all, other than them blocking you for no reason.

There are occasionally real women on the site that will talk to you. Unfortunately, they are usually the most pathetically downtrodden, unattractive and desperate women you could imagine: loaded with all sorts of personal baggage, often with multiple illegitimate children, still involved with their jailbird exes, living in a Motel 6 somewhere 'until they get a few things straightened out,' etc. Even this last category of beggars is determined to be choosers, and they'll still criticize men for not being Brad Pitt, or for being 'boys' and not ready to handle all 300 lbs of them plus their kids. They'll put up with nothing from you, but you have to enthusiastically put up with everything from them.

Basically, dating anywhere in the first world is a losing proposition for most involved. Only the tip top of the social pyramid should expect any success. When it's online dating, or POF specifically, you can double or triple those bad odds. Western women are spoiled and price themselves totally out of the market, and men add to the problem by rewarding it with lust and attention. Good luck folks, l'm moving to Thailand.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

It’s free, so I didn’t expect much from the women’s profiles (a lot of desperate and shallow) or the site. It is true that you get what you pay for. I couldn’t get in touch with “customer service”. Also, I have had my profile deleted and was not given any notification or a reason. I didn’t even know right away. One woman who I exchanged emails outside of the site told me that my profile and messages were gone. I have read some profiles that said POF will delete profiles. All someone has to do is “report” you for whatever reason which includes standing up for yourself when you don’t agree with the other person.

One other thing is POF sends out emails for people who they say want to “meet you”, but you can’t get to that member’s profile unless you are a paying member. I was able to message one of those women and was told that they did not click "meet me". Seems like POF might be playing games. I can’t see why anybody would want to pay for any added features. I avoided profiles of women who paid taking it that they were desperate.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

POF is allowing ** advertisers to create fake profiles. My experience has been frustrating because it’s hard to find a real person. They make hundreds of fake profiles every day, usually of some stunning beauty in a bikini, or maybe even topless. It’s obvious it’s a fake profile. I sent an email to a few of them just to see where things would go, and they respond by telling you to go to their ** site. It’s disgusting.

As a former IT manager of an international company, I know how to resolve this, and I suggested it to POF. POF has the ability to block the IP addresses of the offenders, but they choose not to. It would instantly stop this perverted misuse of their website. But when I email POF (maybe 20 times… yes, I’m consistent), they won’t respond to my complaint because they don’t want to stop this type of behavior. POF doesn’t’ seem to want to change, for the better, the integrity of their website. So, if you want to join because you don’t want to talk to real people, and you like **, then maybe POF is for you!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I created a profile with pictures. I was there for a while and I had someone try to scam me by asking for personal bank information. I denied it. As soon as I complain and reported the account my account disappeared. Numerous tries to contact Plenty of Fish so that I can remove my pictures but the customer service wasn't getting back to me hasn't got back to me. I recreated a different account with no pictures to search if I was still on there and again my account without notice less than an hour disappeared. A company that doesn't reply to resolve a problem to me is running a scam. Since PoF is a foreign from the USA it's definitely running scam to get people's bank information.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I've been with POF now for 4+ years as both an upgraded member and non-upgraded member. In the older days it wasn't too bad of a site once I learned to weed thru all the BS scam artists on here and customer service used to be someone responsive. Those days are completely gone... Now this site has been flooded with young women scammers posing as older women in their 50s and 60s. They post pics of young hotties that are barely dressed. When I contacted a couple of the women they referred me to a website called trustmilf.com so I checked out their web... It was a disgusting ** video site.

I reported literally 100s of these women to POF customer service department for a month now and absolutely no action has been taken nor any response from POF customer service. Additionally I set my profile and contact information for women 50-60+ year old not more than 50 miles from my zip code. I'm being flooded with meet me's and messages from these young tramps/scammers that are all from Southern California areas and a few from Las Vegas many 100s of miles from my zip code area. POF must have new ownership and administrators now who are part of this scam... My advice is DON'T upgrade and pay any $$$ to this now scam ** site. I will delete my subscription to this ** site.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

When I first signed up for Plenty of Fish (POF) I was very excited. I received over 100 messages and views and requests to meet within a couple of hours! They kept coming for 2 days. Awesome I thought. As I kept reviewing the profiles and messages, everything looked the same and as if it was written by the same person or just a few things were changed, they all looked the same. Oh and about 3/4 of what ended up being at least 200 messages in the end were all decently good looking men which is great but in my age group 50 yrs old, I may not be bad looking but those odds are very unlikely in any scenario.

I also noticed all the profiles I received were as if they were handwritten or hand picked for me from where they were from to wording to my preferences in men (most all looked very similar also). I’ve been on other sites nothing like this ever. I got plenty of messages. Again they all sounded very similar. There was one or two that differed but there were other profiles that matched them also I noticed. Nobody actually scammed me. I didn’t pay anything. I was only on there 3 days. But I noticed in between there were a few other profiles literally saying this same thing and that’s what made me take a closer look. They were mad and said there were problems with fake profiles. And sure enough. I pulled my profile and changed all my info and saved it, I only hope they do not keep a back up of anything. I’m concerned about Identification Theft.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I used to use POF in my twenties and decided I would give them another try. I had a profile for maybe two weeks that I rarely used. One day, I actually browsed and messaged two guys. Went to log back on the next day and nothing worked. Decided to open a second account after multiple password reset attempts to see if it would say my email was registered to someone else. Second account opened no issues which told me they deleted my account. Second account was opened about two hours and off it went again. Deleted. I officially hate this “free” service. I had absolutely nothing vulgar or against company policy on my profile. They’ll keep the catfish and bots but delete a real person's account for no reason. Grade F for fail in everything. They don’t even send an email to let you know they terminated your account. Never again POF. Keep your sleazy men who all mark very ambitious and have a dead end job.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I was so excited when I joined POF! I was overwhelmed with the number of responses I received! But, that excitement didn't last too long. The quality of the men are poor on this site. I received inboxes from guys who didn't want to post their picture on the dating site, but wanted my personal email address or phone number to send me messages. Thank God I'm smart as I realize most of them are frauds and want to send you personal emails, so they can try and sell you a story to con you out of money. I get the impression that this is a "hookup" site. The men whose profile stated they were decent, turned out to be nothing but con-artists, immature little boys playing games and seeking attention, or bootie calls! Their profile states one thing, but when you began to have an intelligent conversation, they seem to become afraid and will run by not contacting you!

Yes, I know that all websites have good and bad, but my goodness the bad definitely outweighs the good and will cause you to become discouraged about using dating websites. Some of us are really serious about finding that special someone and it's unfortunate that we have to weed through so many fake, immature men who claim they want a relationship, but are only interested in attention and game playing.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

In short, met a person on this site who lists "itself" as male. In reality he/she is a hermaphrodite using a male profile to get females interested. He/she uses several aliases in different sites. This person is still married to its 4th wife. He/she poses as a musician and after speaking to him/her for 6 weeks asked me to marry him/her. I realize this seems farfetched but it's the truth. I have gotten rid of many of my possessions to "live" with this person.

POF.com expert review by Mark Brooks

POF.com, also know as Plenty of Fish, is the largest completely free online dating site.

• No Charge: While there are upgrade options available to further enhance your experience, POF.com is the largest dating site that allows you to have a completely free dating experience.

• Profiles may include several photos: Users can provide photos of themselves in various settings as well as both full-length photos and headshots to provide the most accurate information about themselves for potential matches.

• Advanced behavioral search algorithm: Along with allowing members to perform basic or detailed searches, POF also reacts to the profiles you choose to click on. In future searches, it will then refine your results by bringing you results that match both what you are asking for and what you are looking at.

• Anonymous email network: Users can email potential matches through POF.com's own messaging service, allowing them to keep their identities and contact info private until they are ready to share it.

• Profiles are screened before being posted: POF.com staff screens profiles and photos before posting to ensure only appropriate information makes it onto the site.

• Best for: People looking for long-term relationships, people looking for short-term relationships, and people looking for a large dating pool.

Profile picture of Mark Brooks
Mark Brooks Online Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.

POF.com Company Information