POF.com

Compare Online Dating Websites & Services

Research top Online Dating Websites & Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

If you are stupid enough to put your credit card information and use it in this company's website you really run the risk of losing all of your money. I was fortunate enough to not lose any money because I didn't enter any credit card information into their sorry website. I have reported and sent them screenshots and images of malware attacks coming from their site and their site only any time I click on a profile of one of these women about three or four pages into their photos I get all the sudden pop ups telling me that I won an iPhone or that I've been selected for a prize or this or that and it's all viruses it's all malware and I'll save the URLs for them and emailed it to ammonia fish and their response was they do not care. They don't have the time to investigate it. If your money gets stolen they won't care. Do not use this website.

I Really Love and Appreciate POF.com giving female members the choice to limit what age range of males gets to write to her since there's nothing more gross and disgusting than having a delusional old man or any pervert or any man more than 7-10 yrs older write to me. However now that choice has been modified so that these delusional ugly old frogs can now write to a female on second try after already being denied the first time. It's a female choice not to hear from an old age range. It makes me want to vomit to see an old man more than 8-10 yrs older especially over 40, write to me.

I hope they revert to original option that again, a female has chosen herself not to allow a man over a certain age to write her and only allow a certain age range to contact her. A woman has a right to this choice and no delusional old frog who needs to stick to his own age range should be allowed to change this. I also appreciate POF not allowing anyone to write anything in a subject line as bitter rejected men have used this to insult women after being rejected.

This is my experience with POF. The site was down, {would not load} for me for OVER 45 days. Got an email from them 2 days ago, "Come see us again, we have a "Token" for you." That was BS. The site did allow me in as a MEMBER but when I click on the "token" POF said I had to pay for it??? POF is also down today. And before some asked me to "disassemble," upgrade, reboot, or change my system or setting, ALL of that was down 30 days ago when I tried and failed to have POF load. So don't offer ANY fixes to me, Just call POF and offer them the fixes. So POF is, to me: unavailable, unreliable, unpredictable, unprofessional, poorly managed, none existent CS, a waste of time & money and more. I also heard "Match" bought them and it is my hope the purchase works out for Match and they did not pay more than $12.00, because the site is so poorly rated and it will NEVER be otherwise.

I have had 2 accounts over the past 3 years with POF. The first account I deleted as 6 of the first 7 people I had contact with turned out to be ** scammers. I verified the pictures that were used were also reported on the two different Romance Scam sites. I deleted the account but never paid money. That was just disappointment to see so many fake profiles. After getting hit on by a few scammers it becomes easy to spot them. Approximately 2 years go by and I decide to try again living in a small town. I was hopeful for less scammers. I set up my new profile and got approved, answered 2 of the chemistry tests that ask and then find out my account was deleted and does not exist even after I got the approval email. It takes time to write a nice profile. Total waste of time.

Since these dating sites are all owned by Match my guess is they are running the other sites into the ground so people quit using the so-called free version of POF. Even when you do searches you see the same people on the subsequent pages that you already saw. Sounds to me like the site is dying and to make it look more populated they repeatedly show you the same people. Pathetic site with no help or support. Total scam. Stay away if you are smart.

I am an older guy, looking for a GF to date, have fun with. POF pushes you into an age bracket closing off anyone within 15 years. But it doesn't matter because most of the women are fake. I think the site is a fake, just out for victim money. They really are what their url suggests, Plenty OFFISH. ALL the women are plenty offish, alright. No bites, no nibbles, nada. Disgusting ** saying ** men only, who'd want such a woman? Followed their ideas for profile, and was honest. Men probably should LIE. Response rate: zero. Messages UNreturned in every case. Also not a "Free" site, everything pushes a person to get a "premium" membership before you can message anyone. The site almost makes it impossible to communicate with any respondent. All that "matching" stuff is complete nonsense. NEVER give POF a credit card number. I'm gone. Cannot recommend at all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about POF.com?

Ok, so 3 days ago I decided to try POF again. This time I paid for an upgraded account, in hopes that it would help me actually find someone who really does want a relationship that it might help weed out people who aren't serious about it. Anyhow skip to today, ie. day 3. I logged in, actually barely able to login, and the first thing I see is, in bold green saying "Next page" and a little link that says customer service.

Ok, so I pressed next page and the same thing came up. So, I decided to check my messages. In my email inbox it said I have some new messages, and of course, I wanted to see who may be interested. Well, and no I cannot access them. Now I'm left wondering wtf? Ok, so I sent a message to customer service, in fact 2 messages, it hasn't even been an hour yet; I know a little too hasty to wait for a reply. Next I go to my account, get the email address for a refund. I'm not paying for this nonsense, now I have to wait for 24 hours for a reply, that's fine.

But what on earth? Maybe it's a bit too soon to complain, but hey if I paid for an upgraded service and getting these wonderful results... what on earth is this site for? Seriously. I sent messages to some guys because I noticed that they have things in common with me on their profiles, now I cannot see if I got a reply, or if I got messages from guys who maybe interested in me. Needless to say, I'm not a happy girl. I mean I found some guys that seemed soo cool, that like the same things I do! Now I can't contact anyone? Or see if they replied to me?:( My thoughts, this site sucks. A whole 3 days, now it feels like I wasted my time.

This site is ate the ** up! I've had a lot of responses from POF. The problem is that when I go to check them out they've deleted their profile. Really? I also find it funny how men aren't allowed to send nude pics when I found a woman bearing it all on the Search mode. WTF! Not saying it's right to send inappropriate pics but if it's good for the goose, it should be good for the gander! I've also gotten a few "mutual meets" that don't say anything when you message them, along with scammers from some unheard of place across the ocean. This site is something else! Trust me when I say I'm done with this con artist scam known as POF!!!

POF blocks age within 15 years. If you are 40 and try to email someone under 30, it will have a popup message that the user doesn't wish to be contacted by you, in certain words I can't remember, but it's not so. They make decisions for POF users beyond their knowledge. The crazy part is, POF has filter options in settings for age, and a lot more things. So if a user doesn't want to be bothered by people of certain age, they can set it up really easy. So why the age discrimination? This wasn't always like this. POF was once a good site... long ago!

Also, POF was once a 100% free site. But now we have a mix of paying customers and free users. That is a big recipe of disaster. They have a lot of shady tactics to convince you to upgrade. I don't know what POF promised women on this site, but I have never experienced such a picky, arrogant community of women. Getting a return message is like pulling teeth. If you are reported by someone that you broke the rules, without even checking to see if the information is accurate, POF will delete you without any notification at all. You will just disappear. If you're a upgraded member, say goodbye to your money.

POF does not remind you of the renewal date of your upgrade, so my upgrade came up unexpectedly. I have not been satisfied with the results of POF and requested a cancellation/refund the same day as the renewal. I was told no refund would be provided. This is a scam. I am now paying for 3 months of future service that I do not want. I am being forced to use a service that is shoddy and less than productive. POF will not provide a phone number to speak to a live person and it takes 48-72 hours for an email response, which is always the same thing (we do not refund upgrades...) Terrible company. Stay far, far away from this scam!

Most the time cannot access the website and no matter what device I use, or where I am located on different WiFi's and other connections in various places. When the website first started I had some success dating and met a lot of weird people besides that. That was about 10 years ago. I have tried to use the website twice in the past four years and paid the fees and basically it was worthless. Very few quality people, a lot of people just want to hook up, people who are questionably process, just a lot of freaky people both men and women. There are a few halfway decent people but they never seem to respond. There's also a lot of scammers list I have run into it.

Now that I'm on it again I can't even access, it is just a waste of time and money. This is just my opinion, take it for what it's worth. Maybe others if I had better experiences, but I find it pointless. It is also very difficult to get responses back and communicate with the technical support. If I am a paying customer I definitely should have access the phone number directly to a tech-support person. The biggest problem is I don't get a technical support for my money and no one ever responds back.

You can go on this site but you have to choose women that they think you should date or get to know. They pick what age you can choose from. I usually date younger woman but they will not let you choose. They give you older woman to choose from... They can take a hike if they think they can tell me who I am going to date. This SITE SUCKS and is DISCRIMINATORY!!! The ONLY REASON I gave them ONE STAR is because I HAD TO.

Well let's just say in the 6 months I was a member not one match, not one person reached out to "meet me", of the 4 I send messages to 3 were scammers from Kenya or some other African nation that was "stuck" in the country and needed 500.00-1500.00 from me to get home. When I said "no didn't have it", they must of been abducted by aliens because I've never heard from them again. All 3 after claimed I was the man of their dreams, they loved me (even though they never knew my name or who I was).

Just be cautious. I know not everyone is like these 3 but if you're really looking for someone to date, be in a relationship with or marry, this might not be the best place to start. Oh funny how most say no hook ups, not looking for sex of FWB's and 3/4 has their ass in the air, ** hanging out for the world to see skimpy skirts on but not looking for a hook up. Yeah right.

THIS SITE IS A SCAM -- DO NOT USE. They charged me almost $40 without my knowledge or consent when I reactivated my account after 10 months of not using it. I emailed their refunds department about it and they said they don't give refunds. I disputed the payment on PayPal. I was unable to log in today even changing password and concluded they've deleted my profile without any communication or reason. I lost all the time I spent making my profile and chatting to potential partners, AND they stole almost $40. This has got to be illegal.

My profile was hacked. I could not get back into my profile. I called the customer service that instructs you to send an email. The email bounces back saying in so many words that they are too busy to respond. I have left several messages and sent several emails with no response. My profile is still ACTIVE and has been edited. I can't even delete it. I'm learning through this experience that this has been an ongoing problem with this site and they are doing nothing to rectify this problem. I may just reach out to 7 on your side (consumer media) to expose them.

In less than a month my account was hacked. My personal pics were replaced with those of a barely dressed woman. Picture of my pets and other pic remained to make it seem more genuine, I guess. The bio was part mine and part something new and suggestive. My password was changed so I can't get the page removed. Customer support? There is none. I'm just glad I wasn't a paying customer so I wouldn't have to deal with the nightmare of them having my financial info, too. I guess that's why I always buy a prepaid card to pay for anything like this.

I've joined this site and paid my money and the site replaced my profile with someone else and disabled my account and trying to contact someone is next to impossible. It's like no one exist, so I joined again to see if I could retrieve information of people I had already met and no info... I rejoined using a different password and profile, site kicked me off again? I don't understand, if you join do not pay because if for some reason the site is having internet problems and you've paid it's next to impossible to get in contact with anyone. The site is NOT user-friendly or they don't address any problems you may have! Very disappointing, because it is a lot of people you can actually meet!

I used to be a member some years ago & was finding the ability to message for free handy. However, when in the middle of multiple conversations, I woke up to find my account missing. I tried to recover password & apparently I no longer existed. I was blocked from being able to sign back up with same email.

So, over the course of last year, I conducted a test. I created multiple emails. 5 male & 5 female. I uploaded photos & asks friends to help me with the photos as they were keen to know the results for all the profile descriptions were identical. I uploaded 1 normal photo for each profile, 5 unique male photos & 5 unique female photos of my friends. Then I uploaded a few rude ones & swear photo's to all of them. Same photo's, different profiles. I left them for 3 months. No activity other than searching once a week & clicking on a few yes's on the Meet me page. It took less than a month to find all 5 male profiles deleted. However all the female ones were still up & active. So, I intentionally broke the rules for the 5 female profiles & still, no deletion. So, I deleted the accounts myself.

Then I conducted another test just for male accounts. I asked 5 other male friends to register & comply specifically with the rules.They had to send at least 1 message to a different user a day. Keeping it clean & mentioning details of the profile to show authenticity of the message. After about a month or so, they all started chatting with females. Some 2 or 3 at the same time (lucky sods). It was all polite & friendly. No rules were broken until the woman asked if they would like to switch numbers. They responded positively and asked if they could provide their numbers first & my 5 friends would message/call them. Now, they clicked send & left the site & waiting for a reply. 1 day, 3 days, a week passed no reply. So they all at various points tried to log in & check. They couldn't. Their accounts had vanished. All 5.

Conclusion: The site promotes upgrading at every moment. It promotes itself as Free with premium features. However it's anything but free. It's been tested with accuracy that the site will allow men & women to register for free. It will also allow you to message other users & have a conversation for free. However, as soon as numbers are mentioned to be exchanged, which means no longer requiring the use of the site to continue that conversation. The site's auto filter or by staff intervention deletes the male's profile. This is either to encourage the male user to register again & sign up to premium to continue the conversation or it forbids any attempt to continue the conversation outside of the site. But the latter is not mentioned in any rules or Terms & Conditions.

As for the first test with the photo's. I believe the site filters out male profiles & deletes them because it's usually the men that pay to find love rather than women. So the site is decisively bias against men from the start. Another issue. The site has no customer support number. No postage address & no way to contact support without being a member. Now, for the site to operate & take payment from UK & EU users, it has to provide a customer support telephone number. Also a contact email or support form & a registered postal address by law. They do not provide this info & it is still a hassle to get this info from them even as a member.

There's even reports that men have registered, upgraded to premium & then found their accounts deleted for no reason. The users contacted their banks to recover the money & the POF.com had the nerve to contest the charge reversal, Claiming it was the User that selected to delete their own account. Which would be stupid at the highest for someone to do.

For anyone in the UK, you might remember a mother who lost her son by cancer. But before his passing, he clicked delete on his account & checked to make sure it was gone. Even Pof.com T&C state deleting is not reversible & no way can you reuse that username. But around 3 months later, The sister of the lad who passed away was searching on pof & spotted something. She saw her brothers profile, same pictures, name & description. Well the mother was shocked & she registered & contacted POF.com via the forum & the extremely difficult email to find to request the account be deleted. The mother even provided proof of death & other evidence. But during that process, the dead son's profile was showing online & had send message to the sister. It was clear from the start this was automated because the messages were generic & open ended to mean anything.

But pof responded saying the account doesn't break any rules & the user no longer wants his account. They should request her son log on & delete it himself, Taking note that they had tried to use the login details used her son that didn't work. Its clear to me, Pof use inactive profiles or details from deleted profiles to recreated accounts & run them on an automated service to give a false impression of activity. It's also riddled with scammers & fake accounts.

As a personal point view, don't try because what you risk losing & feeling when they delete your account is much worse than how you would feel if you went out, introduced yourself to someone you liked the look of & got rejected. As a professional point of view, Any site that does not comply with UK & EU law, is next to impossible to contact & goes around deleting accounts to suit their own needs whilst hinting you to upgrade at every possible moment is disgusting.

If I was you, I would find a dating site that has a UK customer support number that works. A form of contact such as email, Online chat or online form & more importantly, A Geographical registered address for letters of complaint that is within the UK or EU jurisdiction. Any site outside your country's jurisdiction can take your money & provide nothing in return & there's nothing you can do about it or the law. Stick to companies registered in your own country or a country with a reputable law system like the UK & the EU. Anywhere else, youre just putting your money, financial details & emotional well being at risk!

I've been on POF several times over the years. Each time my experience has been less than favorable. I'm a good looking guy, 6'0 tall, with an athletic build and most of my hair. I'm college educated, I don't ask for naked pictures or make lewd comments to women, ever. Trying to get these POF women out on a simple date is next to impossible. If 1% of the women respond to an initial message I send, that is probably a high number. Then getting them on a date at all, next to impossible. I got two dates on Match.com that ended up being really great relationships. So far I've had one date on POF, and that was back in 2004, when I lived in a different state. Men, don't waste your time. Women won't come out of the house.

I can't understand why or how this site is as popular as it is. OkCupid is far superior in design, matching and ethics. With POF, all you get is an ugly, basic page to sell yourself. There's a Tinder-esque page where you can choose if you want to meet someone or not but it seemingly never remembers the people you already clicked pass to which wastes time. The chat/inbox is cumbersome and needs streamlined and brought up to date with how modern sites work with JavaScript so every message doesn't require a page refresh.

My biggest complaint that made me absolutely furious had to do with billing. I'd signed up with their premium membership which I don't recall there being any real benefit. When my subscription automatically renewed, I contacted POF the day it did and told them it was a mistake. They then go on to tell me that they have a no refund policy despite the subscription just starting and them having a freaking email address called refunds@pof.com. I tried contacting PayPal but they were of no use whatsoever and wouldn't reverse the charge despite it not being authorized. I basically lost $51.00 to these crooks for a lousy experience that netted me nothing. Avoid and don't waste your time.

I was a member of POF last year but canceled my membership. They have now charged my credit card for another year, stating that I was enrolled for "auto-renewal" and that the membership fee is non-refundable. This site is a rip-off. I am taking it up with my credit card company. Do not do business with them!

I created an account/profile with Plenty of Fish. Once having done that, the password I used in the first place would no longer work. Therefore I cannot access this account nor edit or remove my profile. I'm more or less locked out of the profile I created. Tried to contact them via email, no response as yet.

I reported the same account 3 times and they completely ignored my resort. There was a profile with a man with multiple pictures of himself holding a gun aimed at the camera so it appeared to be aimed at you and aimed to the side and like he had just fired it. As a single girl why would this make you feel safe meeting a stranger? This is just not appropriate in today's age. They should not ignore this.

First of all this site practices age discrimination and see no problem with it at all. They decide who you can talk to according to their beliefs. Also there is a no refund policy even though they have a refund department.

I just wanted to express my satisfaction with PlentyOfFish. I met some nice people on there and most importantly I met my soul mate. It was like fate. I went on to have a look, seen this amazing woman, and messaged her. She went on to delete her account and came across my message. We got talking and now I am going to propose to her after being together for 2 years. She is perfect in every single way and I would never of met her if it wasn't for PlentyOfFish, and I just wanted to say thank you so much.

Several weeks ago I upgraded my standing. Then, days later, I was unable to login to the site. I was also unable to change my password (thinking that was the problem). The customer support site removed an option for communicating directly. By searching I found customer service. They never, ever responded in spite of dozens of emails. I contacted my card company and blocked payment for the upgrade so at least I didn't lose money. Without the ability to log in I can't even delete my profile! After months of a normal experience, some fools have taken over and ripping people off as long as they can. They need to be caught and arrested. Too bad because I enjoyed contacting the women on the site -- even though most were a waste of time.

POF is fake profiles, fake pics. Scammers wanting you to join. No responses. All dating sites scams. You think they're live people. They're people using computers to entice you to buy membership. They get paid by company to lure you in. You're duped. You're scammed. You're a sucker. Buyer Beware. Shut them down. Ripping off people's emotions, personal feelings and our money.

I also had the same experience as Missy here dated June 16 '16. I called that ph # for POF she listed here and got someone from India. She said she was from POF and she talked me into letting her take over my pc. She showed me on my pc where about 15 IP addresses were listed on my pc from overseas. Then she said I needed to write a check for $200 and she would have the IP address removed from my IP address. She told me my pc wasn't infected but my IP address was infected, total crap as IP addresses can't become infected as I was told by my internet provider when I paid them to do a check on my pc IP address.

They told me the person from India was a scammer. So starting to think POF is involved in this scam. My bad experiences started when someone hijacked my profile on POF which was username "**," my old username he stole and 3 times I clicked on the report user button and 3 times my new accounts were deleted and on the 4th new account I was deleted again after a couple of minutes and not even used the new account. It takes over an hour re registering each time so a big waste of time registering 4 times for nothing!

This is the only dating website I know of when someone blocks you, which makes sense, but they still show up in your messages - if someone blocks you. Why the hell would you want to see their username in your messages all the damn time? It's moronic. Also, what's the deal with the age limits? I'm 31 now, but even when I was 27 or so, I couldn't message anyone 21?!?! This isn't "To Catch a Predator" - they're adults, period. It's not like a 55-year-old is trying to get with a 16-year-old. I guess this is what you get when it's free - go America.

BEWARE--I have been an active member on your site for years on and off. Recently I continued with my upgraded membership 5-26-MAY and all of a sudden I could not get into my account. I know my password yet I could not get in. My account has been shut down for NO reason and my money was refunded for NO reason. Read on.

I was traveling and using my cell to access my account. When I got back I got online and found a number to call from the net 855-552-5590. I had called to find out WHY my account was not accessible. I had to call over 6 times as I kept getting hung up on. I spoke to someone named James & then Sam who said he was a supervisor in Tech support. They gave me a sing, song, and dance about my account being hacked!! My reactions was "WHAT?? How can you let something like this happen?" All of a sudden my account was HACKED... All 6 of these people I spoke to who hung up on me because I was getting annoyed as the lack of customer service were not from the US--first indication something was amuck!!

Sam kept telling me that someone else was using my screen name and profile and that my pc must have had a virus and that he could fix it. They kept telling me based on what they could see on the back end is that someone had hacked my IP address. They told me it could be fixed for about $300.00 bucks and he could recommend someone to do this for me. He wanted to get into my system and mess around. I was like hell no! So I did what he suggested myself and ALL OF A SUDDEN a big virus appeared on my screen. I immediately shut it down and told him off and hung up!!

I have spent HOURS of my time to have my PC looked at and there was NO virus at all, and as suspected they are scammers!! I have had my modem and router replaced as well. I then saw that my money had been refunded again. WHY?? Sam had kept telling me that someone had hacked my system and notified them to CLOSE the account and refund my money. Total BS I never did that at all... Glad I got my money back, but the BS I have gone through for the past 4 days is beyond ridiculous.

I spent hours and years perfecting my profile and keeping my photos updated... And now I got nothing!! I had logged on under a different name and tried to pull up my profile using my screen name and was told it did not exist. Yet Sam kept telling me that my email was there. Do you people know how much work it is to change everything you have had for YEARS because you have scammers who have phone numbers listed on the net because YOUR company has no way of contact other than email?

I did that first and never got a reply of course, so I went searching for a phone number. Yes they have my email. Yes they have my phone number and address because all this has to be verified to make sure I am who I say I am so they can access my account!! Do not get involved with this company. Like I said I had been a loyal customer for years on and off. I got my money back. Every account I own had to be changed, emails, phone numbers EVERYTHING... BEWARE, BEWARE, BEWARE...

My account was hacked on this website (POF) and I am unable to get into my account with my password. I opened a new account and was told that I had two accounts open. On my old account someone wrote messages to couple of people that I never messaged and sent a site to look me up (like a porn site) so I have now cancelled the new account but I am still showing that I am on the old account. Called the customer service phone number and never got to talk to anyone and that if I have an issue to email them but every time I emailed them it got pushed back to me stating that they can't answer my email. I am very distraught about this and all I want to do is cancel this site.

Expert Review

Mark BrooksOnline Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.    More about Mark→

POF.com, also know as Plenty of Fish, is the largest completely free online dating site.

• No Charge: While there are upgrade options available to further enhance your experience, POF.com is the largest dating site that allows you to have a completely free dating experience.
  • Profiles may include several photos: Users can provide photos of themselves in various settings as well as both full-length photos and headshots to provide the most accurate information about themselves for potential matches.
  • Advanced behavioral search algorithm: Along with allowing members to perform basic or detailed searches, POF also reacts to the profiles you choose to click on. In future searches, it will then refine your results by bringing you results that match both what you are asking for and what you are looking at.
  • Anonymous email network: Users can email potential matches through POF.com's own messaging service, allowing them to keep their identities and contact info private until they are ready to share it.
  • Profiles are screened before being posted: POF.com staff screens profiles and photos before posting to ensure only appropriate information makes it onto the site.
  • Best for People looking for long-term relationships, people looking for short-term relationships, and people looking for a large dating pool.

Compare Online Dating Websites & Services