2.82/5

POF.com Reviews

482 POF.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 15, 2019

I was recently scammed by a STEVEN **, whom I fell in love with for over 10 months, he took all my savings and loans, lost my house and car in the process, he keeps asking for more money to come see me and things from where he is keeps coming up, claimed to live in OK and Michigan and went to both addresses. Nobody has seen the person before, went to the army he serving, they have no record of him, I was more than devastated when he continued with the story after I caught him, in a bid to recover my hard earn money I contacted the FbI, who later gave me a tutoring.

I was catfished in a love scam and there was little to nothing they could do about it, was able to hire a private eye who helped. Hired www recoveryknight .com, was able to trace my suppose born in Michigan Major to west Africa, he was able to get access through the details he provided me and was able to pay back $620,300 and still reported him his government after, this was a lot from where I was. So if you’re going through this get help and get your funds back. You can thank me later. This helps get you back on track.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I feel like Plenty of Fish was probably the best app that I’ve used to begin dating. I went on a date and the girl was super matched up with me although the feeling wasn’t there at the end of the night. I commend the Plenty of Fish app for bringing me to meet someone so comparable with me. Honestly it was a pretty good experience. I did think it was kind of hard to meet certain people because some people are so desperate but you can’t tell that from an initial picture lol. They should show you how long they've been on the app and how long they’ve been single because that would definitely help in the long road dealing with girls that have been around and around with guys but they don’t have any real dating experience.

The app was super easy to use and I appreciate all of the accommodation made available like the emails and such that was sent to me. The match criteria was very well built as I went on date with a girl who was practically just like me but we didn’t have a spark and maybe because I was thinking about another girl the whole night IDK but I know that they brought me someone that matched my interest and that’s what I requested so it went pretty well.

I did like how when I went to go and meet new girls it would show me who liked me unlike sites like Tinder where it won’t show you another person unless you guys match which is kind of unreliable because what if you never match with a girl you know like it really wasn’t worth going on Tinder but I completely understand that some people can't use apps that easily as Plenty of Fish and it makes sense on why it was so well rounded and helped me find the perfect person of interest.

Plenty of Fish was pretty well made by some ingenious people like they had to go to a college to learn how to do things like communications and or get a technology degree and it paid off very well. In my opinion will I go on again with them not because I’m not deprecate like that but I definitely would recommend it to my friends that are actively searching for girls and or guys to date because I gotta be the best friend I can and I would appreciate if someone helped me like that too.

Get expert buying tips about Online Dating Sites and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 29, 2018

POF.com is a very easy site and app to use. The match criteria is very accurate and can honestly figure out what I am looking for and what I am not. The quality of matches I am happy with and the people I interact with. The profile customization is also a breeze because I can tailor it to what truly describes me as a person and a mate. I have used dating apps in the past and I could tell not a lot of thought went into designing it. But POF.com knows how to make this site easy to use and match with other potential mates. There are some improvements that can be made to the site. First, users should have the opportunity for a quick chat with potential mates as to not waste each other's time. This allows for a quick interaction and not just match or talk based of a few words or pictures. A brief get to know you would for sure go a long way in getting better quality matches.

Original review: May 28, 2018

Plenty of Fish has been a reliable site and always been able to use it 24/7 when I want. It does the best they can to connect people looking for specific criteria but ultimately it is up to all users to be completely honest and update their personal info and interests often. It gets frustrating when a suitor doesn't present themselves as they advertised. Also, Plenty of Fish should find a way to filter people's dating motives a little better. It would be nice if people were required to update photos more often and to be specific on the physical criteria they were looking for.

In my experience, you get contacted more often on POF than you do on other sites which is great because we are looking to make connections. I like that I have been able to make connections from all across the country. Even if I didn't make a romantic connection I have been able to make some very good friends that I have had for several years now. I'm very thankful for that and expect to make more friends using POF in the future.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Plenty of Fish is by far my favorite dating app. It's funny my boss uses it too for hook ups and we are always talking about our experiences. It's pretty cool that you can actually hook up online so easily in this day and age. I did not have this technology in high school but man, if I did, high school would have been so much better! I'm glad I have it now though. I like being able to really analyze who I am about to meet before actually talking to them. I've actually used other sites where it's hard to tell what the person is really like or if it is ok to talk a certain way to them. I've embarrassed myself a few times but with POF is pretty easy to get a good idea of who you are going to be talking to so you don't make a fool of yourself.

Sometimes I wish these dating apps weren't so mainstream. It's embarrassing knowing the everyone and their mom can see you on a dating app. There should be a way to lock older adults out of your segment of the website. Perhaps an age restriction of some sort. I really despise when older adults start to take things over, they already infiltrated and destroyed Facebook.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about POF.com?

Original review: May 20, 2019

Joel reached to me and said he loved me the second or third text. Joel mentioned his charity contributions. Joel sent his American Express username & password along with his credit limit $10,000. Joel asked me at least 4 times my credit card username & password. FOOLISHLY I gave my username & password. Not sure what Joel did. I was no longer able to log in my account.

Joel said he had purchased wedding brands. We have not spoken or met in person. Joel also asked over and over my bank information. Again being stupid as ever I gave him my Chime Bank information. 30 to 45 days I received two checks drawn on Bancorp bank via priority mail. Joel tells me I have to catch the check at Wal-Mart immediately. When I said no he was so unkind crude and rude. Joel from Dallas TX instructed to burn the check. I will turn the checks over to Atlanta police dept. Joel said he needed me to do this small errand. Joel from Dallas tx has a google #**. Each check was written for $650. I am not the first Joel from Dallas TX to this errand for him.

Original review: May 20, 2019

My experience was that I wasted almost $40 to get upgraded to a site where users are afraid to interact because it is overrun with fakes, hookers, and scammers.

In a week the only messages I got were from the above mentioned or a hijacked account. Who knows. I canceled without a refund.

Original review: May 12, 2019

Updated on 05/13/2019: When something goes wrong with the login, which is often, trying to get to tech support is not easy, even if you are a paying customer. Once you finally reach someone (only by email, there is no chat support) the answers they send back seem to ignore the problems you are having, and suggest things you have already reportedly tried. They don't bother to look at their logs and see what particular problem is going on with your specific account. In other words, the reply seems to be written by a robot with no authority to investigate or fix the problem.

Original review: On many occasions there is just no way to log in. Their change password process doesn't work. I program websites for a living, so I speak from experience when I say that the site is really screwed up. You won't get a better login experience even if you pay for the membership. And if you use a VPN, count on the site not coming up 60% of the time. So you will get emails with links of potential matches, and the links simply won't work.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Routinely having problems with the site. When you do run into a real person, quality of people is low. There are a few good people on POF, but most are into games or are not real. Support for the site doesn't exist. Basically they send you to Q and A links. Try somewhere else. You will be better off.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I found a very high percentage, if not most, of the matches who contacted me were clearly scammers and easy to spot if one knows the signs to look for! Strange use of English, only one “stock” type photo, avoiding responses to questions, too familiar. PoF does not seem to do any kind of verification of the members to make sure they really exist and are who they say they are! I joined as a paid member and so am stuck! I have attempted to contact them twice, but there has been NO response at all! Stay away from this dating site! I have been told since then that it has a poor reputation! Too late for me, but I can at least help others not to make the same mistake!

Original review: May 6, 2019

POF has about 75% scams on here. But the other 15% are real people. I've been on here for about 2 weeks. Every time I get someone who is real and have something going...my messages disappears and every potential individual gone. Take for instance today I was going to try to meet someone and the moment I text, "where exactly" my entire phone froze and my phone went black for a while. This happened to me twice btw. Every time the light comes on my phone screen it acts very slow and meanwhile I'm pressing the off button the whole time. When I finally do it my phone turns on fine and the messages and the individual is gone... So you can kiss my ** POF!! AND SHOVE THIS GARBAGE FAR UP YOUR **. 'Cause dating can be possible on this app. But now I truly believe it's a piece of **! Don't bother... It's a waste of time and money!! ** You!

Original review: May 4, 2019

You'll be immediately warned off when you notice that their website looks like it hasn't been redesigned since 1998. Upon signing up I was immediately bombarded with messages and "likes" by a variety of women, all of whom turned out to be fraudsters. I'm pretty tech-savvy so this doesn't pose a threat to me but POF is just identity theft and bank fraud waiting to happen for more naive users. Avoid this service like the plague. It doesn't even offer quality matches when you disregard the bots. Use something like Bumble instead.

Original review: May 3, 2019

The site begins well but rapidly deteriorates from the moment they start sending me 'wants to meet requests'. As a direct result of their ambitious policies, I have to date received 41 such requests, all of which cannot be verified nor even posed as genuine unless an upgrade is made. I have no proof that these user names even exist. I have every reason to believe they are ploys or mini plots to extract that last dollar from my bank account. Needless to say, the geographic location surrounding each request is never divulged.

If they think I will set off on a wild goose chase to Aberdeen or Penzance they should seriously question their own integrity. The only contact that made it past the first fence claimed to be based in the West Midlands whereas the truth was that the real location was Mexico. As I happen to speak quite fluent Spanish, I called the client's bluff. They conduct themselves in very strange ways. I wouldn't touch them with a barge-pole.

Original review: May 2, 2019

Being on this site for one week I was contacted by 3 scammers. They're writing is somewhat broken English although they say they are from the state they live in and English as a first language. Obviously that's not true. I was asked for money. I was asked for iTunes cards. Many profiles are not real. Be careful. They will text you and want to meet you and all of a sudden will be going out of state for a couple of weeks when you talk about meeting. That is when they usually ask for money or whatever. Be careful. They are very charming but watch for the broken English and all of a sudden having to leave town for a while before you meet. I have reported these but they're still on there. Beware.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I am hoping to help others avoid what Plenty of Fish did to me. I subscribed for two months. They put me on auto renew so my my subscription renewed against my wishes. So even though I agreed to only subscribe for two months they billed me again for two more months i.e. 4 months which is not what I agreed to.

When I requested a refund they said they will not refund me. Please reconsider doing business with Plenty of Fish. They are willing to deceive people over such a small amount of money. Can you trust them with your private information and dating life? Thanks.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I clearly indicated on my profile and I uploaded my Florida identification as proof that I am in fact female. Without notice, warning, or an explanation I was removed from the site. Am I not entitled to find love and companionship like everyone else? Extreme hate crime and violation of my civil rights. I did not give those up when I became a transgender female as far as I know. I wouldn't give them 1 star if I didn't have to. What excuse do you have POF? I'm a paralegal and I read your contract thoroughly without breaking any policy. So are you just haters and against equality for all? SMH.

Original review: April 19, 2019

They block anything that has the word “sex” in it or “nudes”. My female friend and I tried it. She can send any vulgar word in the book to me. But it will not allow the male to even use the word sex! They don’t tell you they blocked it. You have to look back at the convo to see that your message doesn’t exist. They just decided for themselves that they don’t like it and scrap your message.

So how many times has a connection become disconnected because POF straight up does not send your message? So the person you are talking with thinks you just stopped responding... ** you POF. You are a bunch of softies and you are a perfect example of the problem with our sad country. Everyone is soft and are very sensitive to “feelings”? Ask your grandfather about feelings getting hurt when his leg blown off or his buddy gets his head blown off right next to him fighting for this country... I’m sure he wouldn’t be too proud of his grandkids or great grandkids being such soft little sensitive **. Toughen up you **. Suck it up and grow a spine. Can’t say “sex” in a message on POF... what a ** joke.

Original review: April 18, 2019

It's a scam! Your password stops working for no reason within a few days and the recovery system does not work - email reset never ever sends. However your profile remains active and POF uses your information and photos as so they please, including posting them on other websites! There is no way to contact customer service on the site, no phone number or contact form or chat. That explain why 200 out of 250 profiles returns on a search are repeated! Folks get kicked out and create another profile using another email. So probably their actual users are about 15%-20% of what POF tells/advertise to users and com advertisers to raise their ad prices.

Original review: April 16, 2019

2 stars for being a site that allows you to chat without paying. That being said, I have been on for only a few weeks, but it's almost all fake profiles of what I presume to be Russian bots trying to get you to depart you of your hard earned moolah. I used to find it funny responding to their broken English with nonsensical replies ("my hovercraft is full of eels" is my nerdy Monty Python go to). But it's quickly getting old. The admins apparently don't do anything to stop it. I have never paid for this site, and don't intend to. Not while THIS is allowed to occur.

Original review: April 14, 2019

I didn’t expect much from POF. But I gave it a shot. The first problem was the fake messages from supposed users asking me to put more pictures up. The second problem is multiple likes supposedly from POF users and not one says hello, but I get bombarded with upgrade offers. Third, for a dating site there’s no way to filter straight, bs, gay, women. Fourth problem is many of the female profiles are from other sites and there’s no way to communicate with that user, POF does not tell us the profile is fake. You just have to happen to be on another site and see the exact same profiles. Fifth, many of the “female” users are men with makeup and female clothes on. It’s sad.

Sixth the matches are BS, they are all users I sent messages to that didn’t respond but none of the supposed likes. Don’t be a sucker. Don’t pay POF. Seventh, majority of the ** women profiles are prostitutes or undesirable women. POF staff is petty people. If you specify in your profile a particular type of person you want, POF will make sure you only see the users you do not want, and they do it on purpose. And lastly, for the actual women that are on the site, many of them are simply full of it. They make these profiles telling how good they are but watch for the keywords. Not interested in hookup or anything like that means you can hit it on the first night. If her profile says read my profile, she’s not a real person or profile.

Wait. Then there's the hustlers trying to get me to commit bank fraud. And POF knows it, the. There’s the fake fast hump profiles and other sites, they have an algorithm to flag user accounts so each time I log in I am bombarded with hoes and prostitutes. Then there’s the "Hey there" messages, a waste of time. Even after changing account settings so no two word messages could come through, they kept coming likely from POF staff. Then there’s the way POF limits users, if you are 30 they will only let you see other 30 year olds. It’s just bad. If you forget anything, remember don’t pay, it’s a scam! They don’t even really hide your profile wha. You hide it. It still shows on POF and they also use it on their other sites. Even though you signed up for POF, your profile and images are on other sites.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Keep getting messages that people want to meet you? Yes so you upgrade and of course you pay. Then you see that any of those people who want to meet you don't! Then you message others then guess what? They don't get your messages. POF is just one big scam site set up to make you believe that people are interested in you. Also you state that you would like to meet people of a certain size, age, etc, but guess what? You get the polar opposite. Do not trust as you will then be inundated with other sites constantly emailing you to join in their sites, total spam! They really do not deserve one star but that is the lowest that I could give.

Original review: April 12, 2019

First there's not a real customer service number, there's no way to contact someone for assistance. Next in order to use the service you have to answer the very limited options even if they don't apply, meaning a person would have to lie in order to use the service. My parents' background, income and job title are none of their business! Then when I wasn't happy about these questions and not interested in their service I was not allowed to cancel and delete my account, advised I have to wait at least 24 hours, enough time for them to extract my information. I am extremely uncomfortable with this.

Original review: April 7, 2019

Beware of a scammer on POF named "Nick" that claims he works on a Royal Carribean Cruise as a chef. He says he lives in Horseheads NY, is widowed, Vietnamese, lived in Horseheads his whole life but has a foreign accent and broken English. He will tell a woman all she wants to hear and spend lots of time doing it. When he is to come home at the end of his contract on the ship he will text with a horrible story that he is on Mombasa Island and the cruise ship left. And he forgot his wallet and man purse on the ship and will ask for money for a speed boat ride to get to the nearest city for the airport. I did not send money because if he wanted to come home to me bad enough he would have swam across the ocean. I simply text him back after he asked for money with the reply "scammer." I have not heard from him since.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I have encountered many profiles in my area of women I find interesting. When I attempted to message them, I would get a pop saying the member had chosen to only receive messages from upgraded members. On 4-5-19 I saw the profile of a real life friend scroll by and I tried to send her a message. I got the same Pop up. So I sent her a message on social media asking her why she did that. She said she had not made a requirement for anyone to pay to meet her. She promptly deleted her account. Plenty of Fish is, in my opinion, lying to people in order to get them to pay a subscription fee. If this is not illegal it should be!

Original review: April 3, 2019

Ok couldn't log into POF for a while so I sent for password reset but never got an email got password reset. I looked for a customer service phone number and found a customer service support phone number. Called and was told I'd be walked through the process so I thought GREAT! After providing my username and password for them to check, so I was told, (not worried since it is "POF' right?) So after this they said they had found the problem, ran into a dead spot (traveling, informed them and they said they'd call back in 20 minutes). No call ever came so I called back and was informed I had to upgrade to retrieve my account.

I told them I was staying on the free site and be wasnt paying to upgrade. I emailed customer service and explained my issue but never got an answer, so I created a new account to try and be check on my original account but couldn't access (I used the same profile to see if the old one popped up) it. I was then contacted by POF customer service (the one from the the site) telling me problem solved because I had just logged in, keep in mind this new profile he at no pics whatsoever because I didn't want those gone too (I post a phone which had all my pics on it, so they had the only copies).

I again explained the very same thing as I explained here, with them, still to this day almost 5 months later I've not heard from them even though I've sent numerous emails, so not only can I not answer people back I have no way to delete my account. What a joke POF turned out to be. Still would like to recover my pics though. Anyone else experience this kind of issue?

Original review: April 2, 2019

POF do not ask if you need help. They know if you are not using this site. I have been ill for ages and not had any emails to meet people, so why would they just take money if I have been away for a long time or if I had not had any decent communication from others. So it did not work for me, and they are bad business people as it has been hard to communicate to them. If this happens again on a site, not to ask questions and get help, by phone especially, like Airbnb do, they are great communicators on the web. POF can track usage and really if they were in your best interest, they would ask me if I needed help, if I want to continue before automatically taking money from my account. HOW DARE THEY! This is not the way us Aussie do things, the customer is always right. If there is a problem then they should fix it & not steal our money etc...

Original review: April 1, 2019

I've been on [POF] Plenty of Fish for a very long time! I am a very picky person! This last couple of years have been HORRIBLE!! Scams, prostitution, fake profiles! These have become a never ending problem! I've reported this to the developers of POF and never heard anything back! I can't tell you how many times I've reported these issues to them! But nothing gets done about it. I personally think the developers are somehow involved in this mess! As it has to be fully known by now what is going on. I've kept e-mail records of these so called profiles clicking on meet me!

Every time I go and check out the authenticity of them these profiles are either hidden or deleted. I have tweeted to POF about this and don't get a response! POF needs to be put out of its misery! How many times do you have to make reports on these problems before something gets done?? I do not dare allow POF to send me push notifications due to the high traffic volume of spammers/scammers/prostitutes and all that other garbage on that site! My phone would never stop ringing. Perhaps I will go to the RCMP and try to contact the US FBI and notify them of these issues POF will not address! Or correct!

Original review: April 1, 2019

Continue kept kicking me off. The last time I had made a profile and never got to message anyone before they kicked me off. The last one I had I reported a fake user and I got kicked off. Don't waste your time as in I'm going to build my own dating site just for the simple fact to drive the few user on POF to me.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I’d say one in five profiles are fakes intending to scam or for prostitution. They must not review any part of the profiles prior to allowing them on their site. It’s really ridiculous. The profiles are too easy to spot yet there are hundreds I’ve seen on the site. So many messages from fake profiles and weeding through them to see real ones led me to canceling my upgraded membership.

Original review: April 1, 2019

For the past several months it seems that there are more scammers than real people. Yesterday alone I counted what was coming thru on the "meet me" feature. Over 300 obviously fake users.... Women with 58 in their age when they are obviously in their 30's... Links to Russian ** sites. Profile pictures of their ** or butts. Out of all of those there were maybe 5 "legitimate" profiles. Sorry... I'm not willing to ever consider "upgrading" so I can take advantage of any "premium" services to find out more about these fakes. The only reason I give them even ONE star is because it's one of the few sites you can actually email someone without buying a subscription.

POF.com expert review by Mark Brooks

POF.com, also know as Plenty of Fish, is the largest completely free online dating site.

• No Charge: While there are upgrade options available to further enhance your experience, POF.com is the largest dating site that allows you to have a completely free dating experience.

• Profiles may include several photos: Users can provide photos of themselves in various settings as well as both full-length photos and headshots to provide the most accurate information about themselves for potential matches.

• Advanced behavioral search algorithm: Along with allowing members to perform basic or detailed searches, POF also reacts to the profiles you choose to click on. In future searches, it will then refine your results by bringing you results that match both what you are asking for and what you are looking at.

• Anonymous email network: Users can email potential matches through POF.com's own messaging service, allowing them to keep their identities and contact info private until they are ready to share it.

• Profiles are screened before being posted: POF.com staff screens profiles and photos before posting to ensure only appropriate information makes it onto the site.

• Best for: People looking for long-term relationships, people looking for short-term relationships, and people looking for a large dating pool.

Profile picture of Mark Brooks
Mark Brooks Online Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.

POF.com Company Information