1.17/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

371 Zoosk Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

When I first create a free profile, I received many (10+) views a day with at least 2 messages from what looked like above average woman. So I decided that a 3-month membership was worth to see what this may lead to. I responded to the woman who sent me messages and no answer back from them. I continue to receive views and messages but every time no messages back. Then I decided to stop my subscription and lo an behold, more messages and alerts about above average looking woman wanting to meet me.

The picture I received in the email was a beautiful blonde (like a 9/10) wanting to meet me, so I clicked on "Yes" to meet; which took me to the Zoosk website and to my amazement, the profile was another woman that kinda looked like the one in the email but she was a dark brunette. I was like what, so I closed the window and went back to the email. I clicked on "Yes" on the same email and picture again; which again took me back to Zoosk and to my amazement, the woman was now a 300lbs redhead with glasses. Really Zoosk programmers?! You can't even do a decent job at misleading people.

Folks, this is the strategy behind all of these online dating apps. They have programmers on the backend pushing fake likes and messages to new people so they can buy a membership. Once paid, they run a simple program to periodically shoot messages to you so it looks like you're active, then when you cancel, the programmers shoot more messages to you promising fantastic matches but in reality it's just fake profiles or redirection to real profiles which does not even match anything yours looking for (bait and switch). Don't believe all those Google reviews who said Zoosk is 9.9 rated, the reviews are funded by these dating website to make it look like they are popular and legit.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I did not want to renew my subscription. I was not signed up for automatic renewal payment. I did this through the subscription section on my phone, thinking this would handle it and I would not be charged. I checked on the day of renewal and my credit card was charged. Per Zoosk you NEED TO 24 HOURS before the date listed! I requested a reimbursement explaining I did not want to continue the account - did not receive a notification that the account was nearing its end. The representatives read from a script and do not address the concern, I received a partial refund. There needs to be a notification system that the subscription is nearing its end. It's just plain wrong. So bottom line you cannot cancel on the day you think your subscription expires, it needs to be the day before.

Get expert buying tips about Online Dating Sites and Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

A customer recommended this site to me. Said it worked for him. But I have 2 big disappointments: 1. In order see whether someone sees your message, you have to "upgrade" and pay more money. More exposure, you want? "Upgrade" and pay more money, etc. 2. Site says "So and so wants to chat with you". You respond, say you're interested, send a smile and like back and nothing. It's almost as if a machine generates the "interest" just to keep you hooked. A link below keeps wanting your attention and says "Upgrade". Are you kidding? I already paid for 2 months in full! Why the upgrade.

I have sent out about 200 likes and infinite smiles. I'm not a bad looking guy and feel at least one or 2 would show interest so that we could "chat". Nope, there's no chat, just a random message here and then, especially from very unattractive females. I wonder if the pretty ones are props. Must admit some of these "beauties" are very attractive. This site is not what I was hoping for and if no action soon I will cancel my membership.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I did not want to renew my subscription. I was not signed up for automatic payment. Money was paid through Paypal without my permission. I requested a reimbursement explaining I did not want to continue the account - did not receive a notification that the account was nearing its end. I got charged another 3 month subscription regardless. The company refused to reimburse me. There needs to be a notification system that the subscription is nearing its end. It's just plain wrong. It's a poorly set up service to start with. I gave it 6 months but was unhappy with the whole program.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

No customer service help - I got an instant reply from a profile that I had "liked". I responded and about an hour later HE responded saying "I did not send you that initial post responding to your 'like', not sure what happened". I tried to contact Zoosk to tell them that something is not right and could not find a way to contact Zoosk with a question. They had ready made questions, but none that fit my question, so I could not get a response. Something is not right, but no way I can find to fix it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zoosk?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

What a friggin joke, it shows all these people that are looking at your profile every day but when you ask them they say they have looked at yours. Stay away. It’s a big scam!!! Try to put that in your profile about yourself and watch what happens, they take it down as soon as you post it, but put up something in that line and they say 24 hrs for review. They took my posts (4) down in 5 mins and less. They know what they are.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Will offer a trial then bill you for 6 months, everything is an added billing. Expect to be charged more than $200 just to sign up. Completely unusable user interface. Horrible place. Fake profiles. Just don't do it.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I wish I had read the reviews before I spent money with them. Fake profiles from Uganda, Nigeria etc. Microtransactions to get full access which is a total waste of money for no return. I'll be disputing this with my credit card company.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I have used other online dating sites such as Match.com and eHarmony in the past. They both have good customer service in my opinion. I heard about Zoosk via email. What an absolutely horrible experience from an organizational and customer service perspective. It’s generous even giving Zoosk one star out of five. Buyers beware. They are a nightmare to deal with. I purchased a 6-month subscription around mid 2018. Just before my expiry in December 2018, Zoosk sent me an email offering me 25% if I renew. Along with the email, and just after my subscription expired, I also received notifications that people on Zoosk had sent me messages. So I bit and renewed again. Only to discover that I was charged the full amount for 6-months and the messages from these so called “people” appeared computer-generated?

So I attempted to contact Zoosk on both the non-discounted price and the assumingly fake profiles out there. They informed me that I needed to pay by credit card (which I did via PayPal) and gave no answer to the seemingly “computer-generated” email messages received from potentially fake profiles. I then contacted PayPal to at least recover the 25% off ($19) --- which they did. About a week later, Zoosk emails me informing me that my subscription was cancelled, yet I paid for 6-months? So I called them. Zero help and wouldn’t even allow me to speak to a supervisor.

Exact words from the customer service agent were: “I spoke to them and they do not want to speak to you. Your account has been blocked as it is our company policy to close an account when a dispute is raised via a 3rd party.” I then inquired that when I get my full refund via PayPal (for obvious reasons), what would stop me from re-joining Zoosk (just to see what he would say)? To which the agent responded, “Sir, you have every right to attempt to re-join, but there is no guarantee that our system will not pick it up and block you.” I’ll end by saying I simply wanted to be treated like a customer who has genuine concerns and honest questions. Why they chose to skate around the “real truth” and force me to gain mediation via PayPal is mind-boggling? Save your money folks and happy searching.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Big scam, only there to make money. They send you indication that a member visits your site several times, even though it is not true. As you are happy that a member seems interested, you subscribe in order to send messages that will be read. When you finally reach the member, he tells you he has been on your site only once and is not interested. Have asked them for a refund, but no news as of yet.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Many months wasted. People will view every day for months but never reply. That makes no sense, it appears that they are not actually people. I had one or two brief conversations in over six months but approximately 70 viewers a day who would not talk. Makes no sense.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

The site is offering the basic package of $60. Every small thing require purchasing coins on top of it. If you want to check hidden it’s another subscription, unlimited messages another subscription but the main money machine is the coins. They charge $1000 for 1800 coins and they charge for boost 250 coins. After one day of subscription I purchased 1800 points for $100. I pressed on boost and some strange small window opened with numbers running which is not anywhere in their help manuals. I pressed few times to get out and apparently I just activated more and more boost and finished in 10 minutes the $100 coins.

The customer service offered me 200 coins and refused to take the blame on malfunctioned software which allows to press endless times on the same boost. Even the fact I paid in my first day $170 didn’t help to convince them to be nice and refund the coins. This is a disgusting behavior of a site that doesn’t care about nothing except making money. I was a customer for one day. Used the service and because of a software bug wasted $100 in 10 minutes and they refuse to compensate you.

You can learn a lot about them from the answering machine. When you call it will always start from your place on line is 5 and then instead of going lower it goes higher. After a minute it’s 8 and after another minute it’s 10. After 30 seconds they answer. Where are all the 10 8 calls before you? Did they finish in 30 seconds? SCAM.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

This site and Match are the biggest scammers. I’m surprised that they didn’t shut down yet. Online dating it’s like eating the leftovers. But in this sites there’s no leftovers. They have fake profiles or people that have been there long time ago. But this guys even when you close your account they do keep you in there. Otherwise they would be out of business if they would show people how many people they have signed in. Before you pay for dating sites make sure you read the reviews.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I paid for a subscription then downloaded the app and the site still did not recognize my membership. I still get offers to subscribe with no admittance to the members even though they took my money! Also, it seems like at least half of the female "members" are fakes. They look too good to be true like they are professional model pics. And there is always only one pic for many profiles which have no self-description. Basically Zoosk is a rip-off scam. Save your money and don't waste your time. Use both for better purposes elsewhere.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I subscribed twice. The second subscription became more suspicious as each week passed. The selection gradually became smaller, with few people sending more than one or two words as a greeting. One person sent me one message during the night, which he retracted with a second message telling me never to contact him again - before I actually responded.

I may actually have met my first male sex worker - glad we were in a very public place. He described how a woman paid for his airline tickets to visit him and how profoundly grateful he was to have had the "intimate experiences" he'd had. That was my cue to gently and quickly disengage and walk quickly away. He was not about to make a scene in the street. Another person divulged graphic details about behavior that lead to his divorce. Zoosk is probably a great place for people addicts, alternative sex, **, or other arrangements that are far from my intentions. The site has surprisingly good ratings - probably for some.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Prior to the membership, there was no mention of having to purchase coins to procure the opposite sex responses. Then I noticed that all the ladies that I had blocked out, were back again, with some of them wearing different clothing. Next I noticed that all the responses were "system generated" by probably a computer. The ladies that men see are just photographs taken at random by someone working the scheme. They're not actual people and they're not really living there or have that identity either. The whole thing is an fraudulent practice along with a scheming upsell to swindle hard working people. People stay away from Zoosk or be prepared to get ripped off. No one there will talk to you either. Fraudsters who should be stopped in their tracks.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Well 99% of the people on there are ** scammers and they should not be trusted. They try this scam where they want you to buy an iTunes card. The Swift old iTunes card scammer trick. That's what they are. They're scammers on Zoosk. Beware. Do not go on that site to meet anybody. They are scammers.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Truly awful is the best way to describe Zoosk. It's manipulative and dishonest. You never know if the people that have apparently viewed you actually did, or whether the site falsely represented them. Some I have contacted, they informed me that they hadn't viewed my profile. They are a site set up to fleece the unsuspecting. I would stay away from this site, and any site that interferes with your choices. This probably means any site set up to choose an ideal match for you. Nanny sites, even if they're honest. Doing a search (distance, age group), of 28 pages (767 members), only 22% (170) had been online 'recently'. Of those, some are not going to exist, some will not be a match. Very slim pickings, and on a site you can't trust.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

THE few first days I was on Zoosk, I got a few respond to my messages, then after keep asking for pay extra to upgrade, in order to allow my message go through. I feel so sad, that I have been a victim of such a scam, the site is run by crooks and they don't even provide the contact to complain or ask for explanation.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

This site is plagued with fake accounts, your membership is just the first place they rob you, then to do anything on the site you have to pay more... It's just a hoax, terrible site. Stay away from these scam artists.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I didn't provide a photo right away on my profile. Zoosk retrieved a picture from a device that I downloaded the Zoosk app to but never logged in from that device. It stole a picture of my grandson. When I made an account from laptop the picture, from my phone popped up as my profile picture.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I met a real and nice man. All of a sudden he went silent. Three days later for only a few minutes our texts reached each other. I immediately gave my two contact numbers. I had to go to a meeting so I ran upstairs to get a fresh shirt and jacket. When I returned, I clicked the Apple iPhone 6 home button to light the screen. HE HAD COMPLETELY VANISHED. He was nowhere. I usually found him on my account. I called the customer service and a nice older gentleman tried to help. There is no way for anyone to be searched on the site. He said I’d just have to keep swiping until he showed up again.

I did that, swiping through probably over a thousand profiles to no avail. I called customer service again to speak with a supervisor who is too young. She’s only interested in covering her ** and blamed the first man who actually cared. She was impatient to reprimand him and completely not listening to me. I can’t go into it all here. Long story short, my friend is gone for good. I’m heartbroken. I’ll never know if he is the ONE. My husband died in 2015 and this was the first man since then who touched my heart and mind. I can’t search because I don’t know his last name.

I’m sad to read that some have experienced all the dating sites to be scams. I’m still on Ashley Madison and it is run right. Problem is that most of the men on there are married and looking for affairs. There are singles too. They write back within 24 hours and they FIX the problem! I’m guessing by the accents of the cs Representatives on ZOOSK they are located in the Philippines... With huge jealous streaks and enjoy hurting Americans.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

First of all you receive these people who are interested in you, guess what? You have to become a member to have any communication. They seem to disappear after the first contact. There are a lot of scammers on the site to filter through. There are not who they pretend to be. I found a couple of photos I did not add to my profile but are on my computer, scary!!! I found this when I tried to delete my profile, which the site confirmed but untrue. Still receiving messages. This is truly a scam, hope I don't get billed for continuation which I have written to cancel and no authorization for further payment. How are these sites able to run legally??

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Attempted chat feature on the site, phone and Facebook. The only one that chatted with me was disjointed and had too long a lag. No way of knowing if they responded or when they responded. Most of the people online were the same every time. Wonder if they exist? Paid money to join and they wanted more for an enhanced chat?? What? No way. The distance parameters that I set do not go to all the sections only search so I was asked to meet on man who was over twice the distance and I could find no information on him. Had never sent him anything.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

If anyone is looking to go on a date site....do NOT use this site!!! They are thieves!!! If you meet someone and choose to pause your account, don't even bother to pause it because "pause" does nothing. You will still get charged even when you are not using the site. Unlike other date sites, if you put your account on hold, they will let you pick up where you were and not pay extra. Zoosk also has mostly fake profiles, and fake messages. There is also this tab that says this one is interested or that one is interested and then when you go to look at their profile the site blocks you from checking out the good looking people that supposedly show interest in you. The whole site is a scam and the people who run it are nothing but thieves. They are so desperate for members that they have to steal from the members they already have just to get the renewal fees. If you are smart you will NOT join this date site.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

This was the Biggest example of Fraud I have ever encountered in my life!!! They censored my profile constantly changing words or blocking them all together... Never knew if someone actually got my message or not 'cause I wouldn't pay the extra 8.99 per month for premium messaging... The only members I could chat with were 1000s of miles away...could never chat for long with anyone local... They just quit texting or disappeared altogether. This a coincident or purpose to keep you chucking out the dollars. I deactivated and cancelled a month early due to overwhelming frustration and hope the, the, that's All Folks from Zoosk and they don't try to steal any more of my Hard earned money!!! What a Scam!!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Zoosk has given me nothing but frustration and wasted time. It is stocked with "fake" profiles, floods my account with "fake" page views, fills my inbox with "fake" messages, and teases me to follow "fake" Carousel trails that lead nowhere. After four months on Zoosk, I have been approached by so many scam artists that I have lost count. Yesterday, I was contacted by four more of them.

How do I know that they are fake? When someone presents himself as a professional man who lives nearby but who writes in broken English and who has no knowledge of our local area, that's a fake. When someone chats me up and then persistently pressures me for personal information such as my mother's maiden name, that's a fake. When someone immediately pressures me to leave the site so that we can "focus on each other" or tries to lure me off the site with other promises - that "man" is fake.

When someone engages in a lengthy email exchange but who suddenly and or repeatedly postpones a face to face meeting due to his business, that man is suspect. When that same man soon contacts me for money, that man is fake. With one exception to date, the only Zoosk "men" who have sustained contact with me have been "fakes" who solicit funds or facts which would enable them to steal my identity. Don't waste your time or your money. Zoosk delivers nothing but heartache.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I went online and canceled my subscription to Zoosk about a week before the auto renewal - at least I thought it was canceled. Next thing I know I got my credit card statement where Zoosk charged me for a new subscription. When I called them to explain the matter, they refused to refund the full subscription price and argued and argued with me. What happened is when you try to cancel there is a number of things you have to keep clicking on, basically "are you sure you want to cancel" items. I must not have clicked on all of them and thought it was canceled. I can't believe they would go to this extent and lose my future business all for $30. This ought to tell you everything you need to know about this company. I strongly recommend you NOT do business with them.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

They send you “smart picks”. Well there is nothing smart about them. I set a 20 miles distance parameter and most suggestions are for men 40 or more miles away. I also set parameters for men 55-70 and they suggestions for men well into their 70s. The selection is poor and they have a carousel feature that only shows age w/ a picture. How can possibly know if you want to meet someone if they might live up to 100 miles away. I signed up for 6 months... What a mistake. I’ve tried customer service and they ignore my inquiries. Consumer beware!!!!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

CREEPY, insane-looking guy emailed me, "**" in response to my one of my politely worded preferences. I blocked and reported him. IT DID NOT WORK. A few days later he emailed me again with a crazy email. I got off the site. No follow up from Zoosk. No phone number to call Zoosk. You should read this guy's profile. Nutjob. How was he even allowed on there? Filters don't work. Fake profiles too. Who needs it? GIRLS BOYCOTT ZOOSK FOR ALL YOUR SISTERS' SAFETY.

Zoosk Company Information