Best Matchmaking Services
Matchmaking companies are devoted to finding suitable romantic partners for their customers. They interview and then use personal information about their clients in order to pair appropriately matched people. They’re very different from Internet dating services in four respects.
- A professional matchmaker guides clients
- They generally meet all of their clients and interview them
- They provide pre-date guidance and post-date feedback
- They cost a lot more
Compare Reviews for Top Matchmaking Services
|Master Matchmakers||Read 35 Reviews|
Master Matchmaker is a full-service matchmaker that guarantees introductions and offers coaching to help you succeed on dates. Joann and Steve Ward operate the service, which serves clients in all 50 states.
|It's Just Lunch!|
Read 5268 Reviews
Since its founding in 1991, It's Just Lunch has arranged over 2 million first dates around the world. Clients have an interview with the company, and then It's Just Lunch's matchmakers arrange the details of the date.
|Events and Adventures|
Read 1197 Reviews
Events and Adventures is a dating site geared toward introducing singles at group social events. It schedules events and outings that its members can sign up for and meet other people in the process.
Read 11 Reviews
Known from Millionaire Matchmaker, Destin and Rachel’s matchmaking service helps singles find love connections. In addition to matching services, they also offer online dating profile management and date and relationship coaching.
Read 14 Reviews
Elite Matchmaking has been offering matchmaking services in some of the nation's largest cities for over 22 years. Agents meet personally with members and coach them after every date to help ensure dating success.
Read 309 Reviews
Lifemates is Canada's largest personalized dating and matchmaking service. It is focused on bringing together single men and women who are looking for lasting relationships and has been in the field for over 20 years.
Read 13 Reviews
Based in New England, Successful Singles is a dating site that has been in operation since 1984. It works with attractive, well-educated residents who are interested in meeting other singles looking for a long-term relationship.
|Selective Search||Read 16 Reviews|
Selective Search uses Fortune 500 recruitment techniques to match members to other compatible members. The company has an 87 percent success rate with its clients, thanks to the use of its Meet Your Future process.
|All About Singles|
Read 21 Reviews
Located in Pennsylvania, All About Singles PA is a dating service that has been operating since 1988. It offers a personalized approach to finding partners for singles by screening and qualifying all members in person.
Read 372 Reviews
Great Expectations is a dating site that was founded in 1976 as a small family business and is now a national dating service. It offers background checks on all members and allows members to search and choose people to contact.
What to consider when choosing a matchmaking service
Matchmaking companies are a lot more expensive than Internet dating companies, although occasionally it’s possible to get their services for free.
- Paid services: The vast majority of the time matchmaking services are paid. Prices generally range from $5,000 to $50,000 a year for a set number of match/introductions. This may include an element of coaching. It generally includes pre-date guidance and post-date feedback, which is a key service difference between Internet dating and matchmaking services.
- Free services: People who are in a highly desirable demographic, i.e. age range and location, and are especially successful and good-looking, may be able to get the benefit of matchmaking services for free. They will be matched with paying clients. The under-represented demographics are women in the their twenties and early thirties and fit and successful men over age fifty-five.
Not all matchmakers will work with any prospective client. In fact, many of the services require customers to qualify for their services in a myriad of ways before they work to match them with a partner.
- Relationship status qualification: There are many matchmakers that require clients to prove that they are single before they begin the matchmaking process, and they will not work with customers who are in any way already committed to another person.
- Background checks: Many matchmaking companies will run background checks on their customers, which helps ensure that they have not been in trouble with the law or government previously.
- No screening process: It’s a rarity to find matchmaking services that don’t do at least an interview along with a relationship status check and/or a background check.
Matchmaking companies offer a variety of services, including matching clients with a wide variety of people or a smaller, more specific pool of people.
- General matches: Some Matchmakers have a wide, varied pool of matches that they can pair up. The larger national matchmakers generally take this approach.
- More specific niche-matchmakers: There are matchmaking companies that focus on clients who have a particular sexual preference, religious affiliation or cultural heritage. These are few and far between, but they do exist.
There are a variety of platforms and media by which customers can access a company's services, which offer different levels of convenience depending on customers' preferences.
- PC-based: Many matchmaking companies have created websites accessed via the Internet on a PC, so users must be at a laptop or desktop to access their latest matches.
- Mobile-based: Some matchmakers offer their services via mobile apps or responsive sites that are easy to use on a phone or mobile device.
- Over the phone: Some traditional matchmakers who offer more personalized services require customers to call in via a telephone in order to work with matchmakers.
The specific aim of the matchmaking company is an important factor for clients to consider when choosing a matchmaker.
- Relationship-focused: Most matchmaking companies operate to match potential partners for a long-term serious relationship.
- Casual: Matchmakers generally don’t work with people who are looking for a casual short-term relationship or fling. Casual relationships are more the domain of Internet dating sites and apps, like Tinder or Pure.
In order to match clients with potential matches, matchmakers require customers to submit a range of relevant personal information. This is normally done during a face-to-face interview and allows matchmakers to get to know their clients and to create a profile of each customer to match them with other good potential matches from their client base or beyond.
- In-depth information: Most quality matchmaking businesses require a lot of personal information about a customer in order to get an in-depth knowledge of their personality and desires.
- Minimal personal information: Matchmaking services will usually initially require basic information like name, age, location and a photo submitted online to assess if they can properly match a potential client.
What are different types of matchmakers?
Full-service in-person matchmaking companies
Most matchmaking companies use professional matchmakers who work closely with clients in-person to get a good sense of their personalities and with whom they would pair well.
Hybrid ‘customer-driven’ matchmaking companies
A few matchmaking companies do the in-person interviews and then are more customer-driven after the initial interview. They offer an Internet-based platform on which customers can browse through potential matches and make contact themselves.
Compatibility algorithm companies
Matchmaking companies are moving toward using computer-based algorithms to match potential partners. They gather information about clients from their initial online screening and interview and match them based on personality (stated and inferred) and preferences, and then use a pre-programmed system to match up the best potential pairs.
Who can matchmaking services help?
Single people looking for a relationship
Single people who are looking for a relationship can turn to a matchmaker to find a good pairing. Many matchmakers have a reasonable selection of customers interested in a committed partnership. Ask the matchmaker to show you how many people they have in their database in your desired age range, and look at testimonials.
Divorcees or widows looking for new love
Adults who have ended one relationship and are looking for a new partnership, but have been out of the dating pool for many years, are good candidates for matchmakers. Matchmakers can pair them with the right pool of singles looking for partners in their age range, and they can benefit greatly from the pre-date guidance and post-date feedback.
People who are new in town
A particularly good use of matchmakers is with people who are new in town. The benefit is greater to them than to locals because even if they don’t make a great long term match on a date, they’ve expanded their social world. People who are new to a geographic area who want to meet more people like them can use a matchmaking firm for this purpose and hopefully find a longer term match as well.
Expert reviews for matchmaking services
It's Just Lunch! is a matchmaking service that caters to professionals who would like to meet over lunch or drinks. This service has over 23 years of matchmaking experience.
Events & Adventures offers a unique take on the traditional concept of matchmaking. By adding in the element of adventure, this dating company works to take the nerves out of any first date.
Master Matchmaker is operated by Joann and Steve Ward. The mother-son duo hosted and produced Tough Love on VH1 and cowrote Crash Course in Love. Master Matchmaker offers dating coaching and matchmaking services to help singles find dating happiness. The full-service matchmaking service is available in all 50 states.
Destin and Rachel met online in 2005 and got married in 2011. In addition to finding compatible matches for singles who are looking for love, their company also provides coaching services for singles and couples. Their VIP love introductions are personal and confidential and can help you find the perfect love match.
Lifemates is a dating service for people in Canada and has helped Canadians get together for over 20 years.
California Singles helps people in California find dates and long-term partners. This site matches people in almost all major California cities, using a professional matchmaker.
Kelleher is a matchmaking company that has been in business for nearly 30 years and is headquartered in the Boston area. The company has been making matches since 1986 and have an impressive clientele list that includes accomplished actors and athletes.
eLove is a dating service that is headquartered in Newton, Massachusetts. The company was developed by the former CEO of LoveAccess.com.
Selective Search is a matchmaking company that was founded in 2000. The company is considered to be the largest luxury dating service In North America.
Elite Matchmaking is a matchmaking service that has been in business for 22 years. The company operates in Beverly Hills, Houston, San Diego, San Francisco, Boston, Orange County, Fort Lauderdale, D.C. and New York.
Compare Reviews for Top Matchmaking Services
|Elite Global Dating||Read 8 Reviews|
Elite Meeting is a dating site geared toward ambitious and successful men who are looking for attractive and intelligent women. It offers fast-track matchmaking and allows users to search through other members' profiles.
Read 97 Reviews
California Singles is a dating site targeted at singles all over California. Its staff meets with all clients in person to screen them. Then members are assigned a personal matchmaker to find the right match.
Read 103 Reviews
Thanks to its matchmaking technology, eLove gets to know each of its customers and matches them with other members who seem compatible. This makes eLove one of the safest matchmaking companies available.
Read 15 Reviews
Many reputable organizations have featured Kelleher International, including The Today Show, The Daily Edition and Nightline. It has been in business for nearly 30 years, and it has attained awards each year for its services.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.