1.08/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

57 Tinder Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

"Unlimited Swiping" limited to 1,500 an hour and then they ban you from swiping for 12 hours. "1 Free Tinder Boost A Month" is limited to one every 30 days and you don't get a second one until you use that Tinder Boost. If you wait another 5 or 6 days to use the boost after they give you one it's another 30 days from when you Boost your profile. The most recent issue was that my Tinder Plus just expired and the Boost I was given 3 days ago was removed from my account. In addition, "ad free" only sometimes works, almost half of the matches are bots and "you have matches waiting" is a lie.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Been on this service for a few years now, suddenly I'm unable to access the service due to an error code, their "copy and paste" "help" email replies with a standard form letter claiming my account was PERMANENTLY BANNED due to violating their rules. I ask HOW I could violate rules without doing anything on the service in days or talking to anyone on the service in months and IF I get a second reply it's the same form letter sent again. HOW can they say I broke a rule but not tell me what rule I broke, also HOW can I break a rule when I wasn't even talking to anyone on the service? The only thing more useless than this BOT filled app is the worthless support that PERM-BANS users for no reason.

Get expert buying tips about Online Dating Sites and Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I have been using Tinder as a paying subscriber (1 yr/$149.99) for approx 6 months. I thoroughly enjoyed the service, and met some really nice people. Then out of nowhere, I was unable to login, and got an odd error message, that indicated I was banned! I thought this must be a mistake. My profile and pics were basic and not offensive in any way. All the interactions with others were nothing out of the ordinary... typical chat, no dialog was offensive or inflammatory. I am sure of it. I contacted Tinder asking why my account was banned, and I got this "cookie cutter" email response, basically saying what I already knew that my account is banned due to violating terms and conditions. I read the terms and conditions, and I did not break any of them!

So I replied back and insisted this was a mistake, and I wanted to know what exactly did I do to break the terms/conditions. Their reply was patronizing, as again it felt scripted and just reiterated that I was banned and that they could not provide any further information about it. I am very upset. I certainly respect the need for online social services to have terms and conditions, to protect others from harassment (etc.). But I did nothing wrong! They refused to give me the specifics, as to why I was banned. They have no appeal or grievance process, and as a paying subscriber who prepaid for a year, and I feel cheated and robbed!

I called Apple, and they said there is nothing they can do regarding refund, and that I'd have to take it up with Tinder. Meanwhile Tinder says refunds have to go through Apple... This experience has been awful. If they can provide some detail as to why I was banned, I can at least understand what happened. But I got nothing. From my perspective I was banned for no reason, and with no appeal rights. As a loyal paying subscriber I deserve these basic services. I have and will continue to share my experience and discourage all from using this crappy service. There are plenty of alternatives... I write this review in hopes someone over at Tinder will see this. Their customer service is appalling, and I truly feel I robbed. I did nothing wrong to violate their terms/conditions, and I am left feeling helpless and frustrated.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I was using Tinder on a monthly basis, after a few months, I decided to get an annual Gold membership. I was surfing for about 20 minutes after the purchase then it logged me out. After repeated failed attempts, I contacted Tinder support via email. After many frustrating requests by them for screenshots of the problem, I sent the same screenshots over and over. I logged on today to see if it would work, found that I was now banned! Now they don't have to issue a refund apparently. What a scam company.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I have been using a $149.99 Tinder Gold account for two years. I had just been checking Tinder and then got off for a minute then got back on it to notice I had been logged out. I attempted to log back in to only get an error message 40303. I looked on Google to find out what it meant and said my account had been banned by the company. I proceeded to contact customer service to only get a message from them stating that my account was banned and I was unable to create a new one. I was provided links to check the Community Guidelines and Terms of Service. I checked both and didn't violate any of those terms. They refuse to give any other explanation. I have never had this much trouble in the past. They provide zero customer service for a customer who has spent over $300 with them. Please use other apps to find someone to date.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tinder?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Received a 40303 error message which means I was banned. I know exactly what happened. Tinder gives you an ELO score that is based on how users swipe on you. One of the issues is if you hit a negative ELO score you're automatically banned. There are other reasons why users get banned but those reasons are more about misconduct. In my case I deleted my account multiple times and restarted. The website warns that if you delete your account and start a new one immediately within a few days then you are penalized with a lower ELO score. When I wrote into customer service about the error they said my ELO score was in the negative and that is not acceptable. So I am permanently banned and cannot sign up with my Facebook, e-mail, or phone number which are all permanently banned from sign up or use.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Been on the app for a few months but recently got banned for no reason. It kicked me out of the login session and came up with the error message A: 40303 which means my account has been banned. I sent an email to customer support but it came back saying that they don’t have an appeal option and my account is permanently banned. I don’t see how it is fair that a company can ban a user from its website and then not tell them why they have been banned. People need to start giving bad reviews on the AppStore. Disgusting.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I used to like this site a lot but they recently banned my account and they won't tell me why. I think my account was hacked since I didn't get on for several days and when I tried to get in I was locked out. They refuse to give a reason, they just banned me and didn't even send me an email telling me I was banned. They just keep repeating the same thing over and over every time I email asking for more information. Poor customer service. I'm infuriated by this whole thing because I know I didn't violate their terms of use.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I was locked out of my account and disabled from ever re logging in for supposed breach of terms which were never explained to me (and I didn’t breach anything) after spending dollars on Super Likes etc to make matches which are lost to me now. Basically they took money for goods/services that they then revoked. Criminal.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I have been using Tinder off and on for months. This time around I have been using for a month. I had just been checking Tinder and then got off for a minute then got back on it to notice I had been logged out. I attempted to log back in to only get an error message A40303. I looked on Google to find out what it meant and said my account had been banned by the company. I proceeded to contact customer service to only get a message from them stating that my account was banned and I was unable to create a new one and provided links to check the Community Guidelines and Term and Conditions. I checked both and didn't violate any of those terms. They refuse to give me an explanation. I have never had this much trouble in the past. I am just glad that I didn't have membership with them. They are scammers! Please use other apps to find someone to date.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I attempted logging into Tinder and kept receiving the same error message A:40303. When I reached out to customer support they informed me my account had been permanently and irreversibly banned. I was surprised because I didn’t use Tinder much to begin with. When I asked why my account had been banned they gave me a canned response. I was told me they wouldn’t elaborate further.

I suspected this to be a mistake and ask to spoke with a supervisor. They sent me another canned response that the decision was final and referred me to their community guidelines. I knew for fact I didn’t violate a guideline. Tinder has very poor customer service. Upon further research I discovered that some Tinder users like to prank other Tinder users by flagging their account. If enough people flag the account Tinder automatically closes the reported account. I have allowed Trustpilot to inform Tinder of my complaint. If Tinder responds I will post their response and keep this review updated.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Hello everyone, So I started my Tinder Gold subscription for 6 months a couple days ago. I recently woke up to an error code A40303. I immediately contacted Tinder customer support via email. The customer representative on the other end was so quick to judge me on breaking the TOS even though I've done nothing wrong. There are plenty of stories on the internet where Tinder has banned people for no reason. It's shocking to think they would ban me days after I spent my money on Tinder Gold and I feel like I was being ripped off. Do not use Tinder or contact their customer representatives. It is a waste of time!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Tinder has no customer service help pretty much at all! As previous people have said, married people are on Tinder. I found out my husband was on Tinder and was paying for a Tinder Gold membership and when I went to call the company, after he told me he had talked to them, I learned they have no phone number or chat service to contact them in any way. There is literally no way to correct any issue with them for anyone. That is horrible customer service. They just sit back and collect money from people and don't care what the outcome is.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I have been a full paying Tinder user for about 5 month. Always a gentleman! When I installed the latest update of the app around 26th of August, I got auto logged out. When I tried to log in again, my account was blocked (error message 40303). Why??? I contacted Tinder twice to highlight this as a software issue. As reply I received the same generic mail twice, telling me that my account was deleted (which I told them myself) and that they cannot tell me details. What? I assume it is just bots in the customer service scanning you complaint for keywords instead of looking into the problem and helping you. I checked the T&C's and community guidelines and I am 100% sure I did not breach it! I am actually less upset about the 80$ they ripped me off, but about being accused of wrongdoing and punished for it, without seeing any evidence. I strongly advise you to stay away from Tinder. There are many other apps.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I was on Tinder for approximately 10 days. Paid for membership for one month. Then I was unable to see screen when I logged on resulting in having to delete app. Reinstall. Then each time I looked off I had same issue. After three tries I deleted and reinstalled then deleted. Hence my money/membership had also disappeared. I emailed several times. Had a couple of emails back requesting for various information (including gma code). I have sent all the information to them they had requested (which was not easy to obtain) 5 days ago in order to get reimbursed. I to date have not received refund for paid membership. I have sent another tonight and wait with anticipation.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have to say that Tinder has the WORST customer service/support I have ever seen. I sent a message 3 days ago and still no reply. I've had issues before with Tinder and had to deal with an incompetent guy who just stated the obvious options when of course I had already tried them all and beyond before resorting to contacting you. You need to get a better system: call or live chat. I am paying good money for an app that has no customer service whatsoever. I was in Cabo for 11 days trying to meet people to hang out with. No matter what distance I plugged (up to 161km!) in or age range (27 to 45) I still only got 1 or 2 profile choices per day!!! How is that even possible. I even got Tinder Gold hoping that it might help. $100 cdn a year, still no matches! Of course they did not reply to my requests for support.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I've been dating on Tinder for a while now, communicating with people for months. After not being on the app for a few days I went to login and couldn't, I emailed support which was no help other than they let me know I was banned. Banned?!? For what? I have been on with the same pictures and same profile bio for months, why am I banned. They wouldn't respond, just said that I didn't follow their terms. After reviewing the terms there is nothing I did wrong and they wouldn't respond. I mean don't they have protocols for banning people?? There are perverted men on this site, married men, etc... And these accounts are alive and active... Mine banned for NO reason.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I was only on Tinder for a couple of weeks and only matched with 3 people. I sent a few messages. Then, one day, I couldn't log on. It would give me all sorts of messages like "you are logged on" and give my correct name, and not allow me to log on. I was trapped in the log in loop. Then I would get messages that said "oops, something went wrong, try again." Then I got error message -1 and looked that up and it said I had a network problem. Then I got error 86501??? I reported my problem again and again and finally they said the -1 error code meant I was banned!! I did not harass anyone. I told one person I didn't want to communicate because he was a big supporter of Trump. Are we living in a free country, or not? The other guy I liked and he liked me and now I cannot contact him. Tinder should not be allowed to operate.

Original review: July 21, 2018

After using the app for about 10 days as a gold member, I was permanently banned. Around 30 minutes prior to this, a picture of me with a giant confetti cannon was deleted, along with a message saying something akin to "the picture was against the guidelines". The guidelines, obviously, has nothing against confetti cannons, or even real weapons for that sake. Yet my polite and concise appeals are just met with canned responses implicating I am somehow a threat to the safety of their other users, or in best case, ignored. All my matches and contacts are thus irrevocably lost. A quick google search (or as long as you'd like) will reveal that Tinder has also unjustly banned thousands of other users, and that's only counting those who'd bothered to complain about it. I find this a vehemently repulsive way of treating compliant and supportive customers, who are, after all, also human beings.

Original review: July 16, 2018

If you give someone your number in the Tinder app, prepare to be bombarded with scam calls. I've never gotten scam calls, and now suddenly - so many you won't know how to deal with them. I have about 100 voicemails since I gave out my number. Be careful.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Tinder removed my account with the error code claiming my account went against their terms of service or community guidelines. I had yet to match with anyone and the pictures on my profile was one of my face and one of the Pansexual pride flag. There was absolutely nothing in my description that was inappropriate. I simply talked about some TV shows I like. The usual things you'd expect on a Tinder profile. As far as I can tell from reading the Terms and Guidelines I did nothing wrong and they've yet to give me a reason why my account was removed despite me sending an email with a screenshot of the error code.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I really wish they would actually care about their clients especially the paying ones. I have had Tinder gold a few times and I am getting ripped off because they have not ever figured out how to let us pick the age range required. Because of this, I am constantly getting matches that are much younger and it is a waste of my time. Especially when I go out of my way to pay for boosts. I am 66 and I want to choose the age range. Bumble has it down and you basically slide the moving scale to where you want it. Yours does not let me.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Tinder, deleted my golder membership account. Spent 30 USD. I did buy Tinder membership. Okay. But you --- TINDER suddenly and without any reason CLOSED my account. I cannot enter my account. I used my phone number in order to open TINDER account, and I did used my Google account for payment. Please search with my phone number **. Please specifically say me, which part of my words, you cannot able to comprehend???

Original review: June 5, 2018

I have been on this site only for a couple of months. My two first experiences were very pleasant. We only had dinner. My last experience was a disaster which I never had the opportunity to meet the man who turned out to be a scammer. He lied about where he lives and it turned out that he lives out of the country. Very handsome man and loving but a scammer. He wanted $2000.00 from me which he did not get.

Original review: May 14, 2018

This site is dangerous. Be aware of woman who ask for your phone number after a few conversations. They are looking to scam. I met someone on Tinder who looked like a skinny, beautiful ** female. When I met her, she was ** and curvy. Nothing wrong with that but she misrepresented who she was. Furthermore, she was a hooker. Not good.

Original review: May 3, 2018

As somebody that never writes reviews this year fact I am writing this is an indication of this year for stretching disappointment and quite frankly and yeah I feel at this app period. It is the worst app I have ever used. That's right. Not the worst dating site the worst app. First of all let me show you I have tried it on multiple devices of different makes and different internet connections to eliminate that as an issue and the same problems arose on the three different devices from a Sony phone to an Apple iPad and Samsung tablet. The only thing that's appeared to work correctly was installation of the application. After that creating an account either using Facebook or creating it manually was ridiculously frustrating.

I was given a repeated errors saying, "Something went wrong. Please try later." Well I managed to get past the first stage of registration. I got repeated errors with email verification. At some point I managed to actually log on but then would get repeated errors when I trying to find people near me again. It comes up, "Sorry something went wrong. Please try again later." It does this more often than he finds people. The app itself is difficult to use when it is working. It doesn't explain things well. Everything needed or worth having costs extra money. I felt I was just guessing on how the whole thing works. I don't feel like I know how my profile is being presented. I want to find people I have liked.

I am sure there is a way but it is confusing. Send with guidance and just fails extremely basic and designs to keep you spending at every level. The worst thing of all is how unreliable it is. If you do eventually managed to talk to somebody they will lose interest because you won't be able to Long Arm again a few hours later to talk to them you won't know why or what the problem is. It just saying that it's not worth more than it does. I have never had such an awful painful frustrating experience with anything running code before. I beg you go somewhere else. Don't even look at it. Never come back. Advise everyone to go somewhere else. I guess it's a business and designed to make money but at least you should get some kind of service for you on it. This is just rubbish rubbish rubbish x infinity.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Tinder from South Africa suddenly becomes Be2.com from Luxembourg. In the absence of an industry standard such as the right to UNSUBSCRIBE, made mandatory a few years ago, these guys provide NO way of clicking the AUTO renew button off. That means, when the end of your subscription arrives they will deduct the same amount which magically changes from R77 for six months, to R77 a WEEK! Good luck.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Hey guys, I was using Tinder for a couple of months until one day I got banned from the app for no reasons whatsoever. Customer service is useless sending you links to their policies and guidelines (from reading which you understand that you are as clean as an angel), maximum you get from them is "Unfortunately, we cannot provide any more detailed information at this time". No warning, no support, no interest in keeping you as a customer - just ban, that's it. Needless to say - no refund for unused subscription... You lose your money for reasons you don't know. After reading other people's reviews I understand that anyone can get banned without explanations... Even angels. Sadly Tinder was the worst internet community experience I have had in my almost 40 years of life...

Original review: March 30, 2018

I have had not ONE person in my area. Every man that has contacted me is a scammer and asks for money. I specifically asked for ** men in my area. That didn’t happen. I’ve had better luck in every other site I’ve tried out. This one won’t be the one I choose to use.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I've had this app for over 2 years now. I've never had a problem with it. We all use it for ** and giggles and today my account got deleted for no reason. I've never posted anything offensive or nudes or anything of that sort. I've seen many other profiles with content way more offensive than mine so I give this app a 1.

Tinder expert review by Mark Brooks

Tinder is a mobile dating app that can be downloaded and used for free. It is currently the largest and most popular dating app online with over 50 million downloads. It is best known for its extremely popular swiping feature.

• Social Media Login: Tinder uses your Facebook profile as a means of sign up for their dating app. This helps prevent fraud and makes it easy to quickly import information and photos over to Tinder so you can begin searching immediately.

• Swiping: Tinder's popular swiping feature allows members to quickly move through matches until they find people of interest. If you do not like the profile you are looking at, swipe left and you will not see them again. If you are interested, swipe right. If you accidentally swipe in the wrong direction, you can now pay to unswipe a match.

• Consent before contact: While most dating sites will let users contact anyone in their membership ranks, Tinder will only allow you to contact someone if you have both "Swiped Right" on each other.

• Quick local matching: Tinder is most popularly used as a way to meet people the same day within close proximity.

• Best for: People looking for new friends, casual connections, short-term relationships, and people looking to meet someone within hours of first contact.

Profile picture of Mark Brooks
Mark Brooks Online Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.

Tinder Company Information