2.63/5

80 Tinder Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 30, 2019

Been using Tinder for years. Not changed anything on my profile or in my behaviour and they have permanently banned me out of the blue. Emailed. Asked for an explanation of the unban and to appeal, but after seeing other comments I don’t have much hope. Hugely disappointing.

Original review: May 23, 2019

Tinder shadow banned my account. The app was basically unusable. Customer service was non-existent. There was nothing offensive in my profile or photos. No reason was given. I lost almost all my yearly subscription money to Tinder Plus. Thus, be careful when taking out longer subscriptions. Greedy Tinder may steal your money for no reason.

Get expert buying tips about Online Dating Sites and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 22, 2019

Amount of Rs 520 is deducted twice from my bank account. That is 1040 while subscribing on Tinder but still I didn't get any subscription which is really disgusting and frustrating now. This incident happened today (2/05/2019) and I want my money back. Kindly help.

Original review: May 11, 2019

A while ago I subscribed to Tinder plus, my phone got busted due to my one year old so I had to get a new phone, and couldn't remember my old account so I got a new one, and completely forgot about the subscription until it came out of my account May 8, I asked for a refund the day after May 9 and they won't process it. I have not used Tinder in way over three months, and I think it's unfair that I can't get my money back. I'm not one to complain about these things but I work in customer service, and these people have no way in handling customers and just don't care, don't ever use Tinder Gold! I will warn everybody now!

Original review: May 2, 2019

This site is a scam. I canceled my subscription and they continue to charge me. They do have a telephone number to talk with someone.They keep asking me for a 17 digits number that I cannot find anywhere. Avoid this ** at all cost! It is a scam.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tinder?

Original review: May 2, 2019

Original review: April 30, 2019

I have been a paying customer for years. Always polite to matches. Picture are tasteful and bio is as well. Opened up tinder an hr ago.... banned! No explanation no warning. Banned for absolutely nothing!. Seems to be a problem with quite a bit of people recently.

Original review: April 29, 2019

My account was banned for absolutely no reason after being inactive for over 6 months. When I emailed support for help fixing this they refused to provide a reason and claim that they do not have a review process yet. Considering it has been a popular app for many years now you would expect them to have that sort of service so it's a 1 star review from me. Also many reviews on Google Play show that others have had the same troubles.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Seriously, I think someone/s hired some foreign developers on Fiverr and threw this together. It's god awful. I hated it with a passion. Meeting people on the app is like a game of chance. Spin the wheel or swipe the Tinder pic left or right. They don't even pretend that the matches are based on anything aside from swiping. I hated the idea of objectifying people with real emotions and feelings. They prey on your desperation. Additionally, they offer no viable customer service. They have no idea what people want.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I signed up for their service. It didn't work, so I terminated my account and deleted the app. I've now found out 4 months later they've been secretly charging my card without informing me. I contacted Tinder only to be told they "can't refund my money". Liars! Crooks!

Original review: April 15, 2019

Read the title. When I reached out they refused to tell me how I violated the terms of service. I've never had a negative interaction on the app nor have I ever used inappropriate photos. I'd give this 0 stars if I could. It's ridiculous that they think it's okay to treat paying customers like this.

Original review: March 25, 2019

Account got hacked. Customer services refused to help me, sent rude and derogatory emails basically laughing at me for it, then ignored my emails when I asked to complain. Wasted my money, someone has access to my account/photos/personal info and nothing I can do about it. Find this really scary but they just get away with it. AVOID!!!

Original review: March 12, 2019

I had issues with connecting my IG profile (actually I didn't, there's a bug), after multiple template support emails I explained the issue many times and stated twice that I don't want my profile to be deleted/just want them to solve the issue. Tinder support deleted whole account and asked me: "To clarify, are you still experiencing issues connecting your Instagram account to your Tinder profile?" Worst support I've ever experienced, but to be fair - they solved the issue and I don't have any problems with Tinder app anymore. :)

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I’ve paid for and used Tinder for several years. I'm a paying customer! I decided to do a little research last week to try and write a better bio so maybe I’d have better luck with matches. I updated my bio and did not write anything inappropriate. I did not write anything that I haven’t seen before on other profiles. I listed a few things I am looking for in a partner, and none were discriminatory. I kept using the same photos I’ve used for a while as well. The next morning I open Tinder and a message displays that says I have been banned. I also had no active conversations with any matches at the time.

I took a screenshot of the ban msg and sent it support explaining what was going on. Well a few days later, the person named Madison that was “helping” me sent me a final msg that’s a generic response saying that I am banned and an appeal will not be allowed. If one person on the app don't like you 'cause of how you look or what you say in your bio and they report you, YOU'RE BANNED FOR LIFE!!! HOW UNFAIR! I’m disgusted I ever gave them my money.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

There's a clear theme here - people getting banned shortly after upgrading or downloading updates. Obviously neither are bannable offenses... I think it may be a bug resulting from iCloud email being different to Facebook email. Which triggers some kind of anti-fake account process. It seems my experience is similar to many others. I could not log in a couple of days after upgrading to a paid account. I have emailed support and awaiting reply but having read the comments I am not too hopeful. One way or another I will get my money back.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Tried to log into Tinder and apparently my account has been banned. I've no nudity or profanity or even much contact with other users. Tinder support simply tell me to refer to their terms and conditions however refuse to highlight which one I am accused of having broken. Very poor experience.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

From my bank account 2 times my money has been deducted Rs. 330 each time and no subscription was added. I want my refund or I am going to file complaint against Tinder asap! That incident happened on 14th February 2019.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I subscribed to Tinder for about 1 week. During this time I experienced multiple problems with the app freezing up, not being able to upgrade to a Gold membership, and receiving "canned" replies via email from their support. Unceremoniously, my account was apparently banned/deleted. I was logged out and received the 40303 error when attempting to log back in. Internet searching revealed that the 40303 error meant my account was banned. I was the only user on my account, had no derogatory language on it, no nudity and no reason to be banned. Not to mention I paid for a month and only got a few days of service. I'm very disappointed with this app.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I was on Tinder for all of 24 hours and for reasons unknown to me I was banned. I asked for help but was given only standard/stock responses saying I violated terms of service. They gave no further explanation. I had re-read the terms and I was certain that I hadn't violated any terms. They told me there was no appeals process and they wouldn't look into it any further.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I was on Tinder for about 2 hours when I got banned apparently for violating their terms and conditions. I didn't even had any matches, I have just swiped right and left for a few persons. I contacted the help support but they just sent me a standard answer about banning me for violating the terms, but I do not know what was the specific reason and cannot think of any.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

As a software developer who's been in the industry for over a decade, I can tell you that Tinder feels like something a few novices threw together in a couple of months. The technical issues are myriad and severe. I paid the $29.99 monthly charge for Tinder Gold, but the relevant features didn't actually unlock. I contacted support, but they sent me a useless form letter that didn't solve the problem. Looks like I'll have to do a chargeback.

There are other technical issues, too. If you use a VPN at all, beware. Tinder trusts GeoIP WAY too heavily, so it will suddenly decide that you've moved to wherever your VPN is located. It will start showing you people from hundreds of miles away without indicating to you that anything is wrong. Oh, and one of my email addresses was pre-banned before I even THOUGHT of starting a Tinder account. Apparently someone used my address to sign up (without having to click any sort of verification email), sent some inappropriate messages, and got permabanned from the site. Overall, Tinder is an embarrassingly poor product, and I regret trusting it with my payment details.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Tinder charged two of my Facebook accounts a fee for Gold Tinder. I was not aware that they did this until I found a deficit in my account amounting two Tinder Gold subscriptions. I only wanted one and yet they do not have legitimate ways of being consumer transparent. Hard to reach them. Most profiles are fake and those who respond act like scammers. They did not refund me when I complained. Those trying to convince me they are legit won't fool me again.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Tinder -- Why did you cancel my account? What was the reason? You owe me a refund or reinstate my account for the duration of the 12 month service. Trust me, I will never be back after your strong arm tactics. In case you were not intelligent enough to understand, I have copied the United States government on this matter. Many complaints have been lodged against Tinder. Same thing with YOU HAVE BEEN PERMANENTLY BANNED. You have stolen money from me and you have read my demands. FTC please refer to the Department of Justice for internet fraud.

Dear Federal Trade Commission -- I subscribed to Tinder for one year at $149.99 in October 2018. Today I was cancelled by Tinder for no reason. I want a refund for the months that they have not rendered service. Furthermore, before they blindly cancel customers they need to provide a reason. Keeping my prepaid funds is a form of theft. Tinder is extremely slow to respond, and should be sanctioned for all the complaints. Please assist me and other who have been victim of Tinder's policy and strong-arm tactics. I want a refund for 10/12 * $149.99, or $124.99; plus another 20 * $4.99 for lost value of Super Likes. Or reinstate my account with an apology and another 60 Super Likes for free.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

"Unlimited Swiping" limited to 1,500 an hour and then they ban you from swiping for 12 hours. "1 Free Tinder Boost A Month" is limited to one every 30 days and you don't get a second one until you use that Tinder Boost. If you wait another 5 or 6 days to use the boost after they give you one it's another 30 days from when you Boost your profile. The most recent issue was that my Tinder Plus just expired and the Boost I was given 3 days ago was removed from my account. In addition, "ad free" only sometimes works, almost half of the matches are bots and "you have matches waiting" is a lie.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Been on this service for a few years now, suddenly I'm unable to access the service due to an error code, their "copy and paste" "help" email replies with a standard form letter claiming my account was PERMANENTLY BANNED due to violating their rules. I ask HOW I could violate rules without doing anything on the service in days or talking to anyone on the service in months and IF I get a second reply it's the same form letter sent again. HOW can they say I broke a rule but not tell me what rule I broke, also HOW can I break a rule when I wasn't even talking to anyone on the service? The only thing more useless than this BOT filled app is the worthless support that PERM-BANS users for no reason.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I have been using Tinder as a paying subscriber (1 yr/$149.99) for approx 6 months. I thoroughly enjoyed the service, and met some really nice people. Then out of nowhere, I was unable to login, and got an odd error message, that indicated I was banned! I thought this must be a mistake. My profile and pics were basic and not offensive in any way. All the interactions with others were nothing out of the ordinary... typical chat, no dialog was offensive or inflammatory. I am sure of it. I contacted Tinder asking why my account was banned, and I got this "cookie cutter" email response, basically saying what I already knew that my account is banned due to violating terms and conditions. I read the terms and conditions, and I did not break any of them!

So I replied back and insisted this was a mistake, and I wanted to know what exactly did I do to break the terms/conditions. Their reply was patronizing, as again it felt scripted and just reiterated that I was banned and that they could not provide any further information about it. I am very upset. I certainly respect the need for online social services to have terms and conditions, to protect others from harassment (etc.). But I did nothing wrong! They refused to give me the specifics, as to why I was banned. They have no appeal or grievance process, and as a paying subscriber who prepaid for a year, and I feel cheated and robbed!

I called Apple, and they said there is nothing they can do regarding refund, and that I'd have to take it up with Tinder. Meanwhile Tinder says refunds have to go through Apple... This experience has been awful. If they can provide some detail as to why I was banned, I can at least understand what happened. But I got nothing. From my perspective I was banned for no reason, and with no appeal rights. As a loyal paying subscriber I deserve these basic services. I have and will continue to share my experience and discourage all from using this crappy service. There are plenty of alternatives... I write this review in hopes someone over at Tinder will see this. Their customer service is appalling, and I truly feel I robbed. I did nothing wrong to violate their terms/conditions, and I am left feeling helpless and frustrated.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I was using Tinder on a monthly basis, after a few months, I decided to get an annual Gold membership. I was surfing for about 20 minutes after the purchase then it logged me out. After repeated failed attempts, I contacted Tinder support via email. After many frustrating requests by them for screenshots of the problem, I sent the same screenshots over and over. I logged on today to see if it would work, found that I was now banned! Now they don't have to issue a refund apparently. What a scam company.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I have been using a $149.99 Tinder Gold account for two years. I had just been checking Tinder and then got off for a minute then got back on it to notice I had been logged out. I attempted to log back in to only get an error message 40303. I looked on Google to find out what it meant and said my account had been banned by the company. I proceeded to contact customer service to only get a message from them stating that my account was banned and I was unable to create a new one. I was provided links to check the Community Guidelines and Terms of Service. I checked both and didn't violate any of those terms. They refuse to give any other explanation. I have never had this much trouble in the past. They provide zero customer service for a customer who has spent over $300 with them. Please use other apps to find someone to date.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Received a 40303 error message which means I was banned. I know exactly what happened. Tinder gives you an ELO score that is based on how users swipe on you. One of the issues is if you hit a negative ELO score you're automatically banned. There are other reasons why users get banned but those reasons are more about misconduct. In my case I deleted my account multiple times and restarted. The website warns that if you delete your account and start a new one immediately within a few days then you are penalized with a lower ELO score. When I wrote into customer service about the error they said my ELO score was in the negative and that is not acceptable. So I am permanently banned and cannot sign up with my Facebook, e-mail, or phone number which are all permanently banned from sign up or use.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Been on the app for a few months but recently got banned for no reason. It kicked me out of the login session and came up with the error message A: 40303 which means my account has been banned. I sent an email to customer support but it came back saying that they don’t have an appeal option and my account is permanently banned. I don’t see how it is fair that a company can ban a user from its website and then not tell them why they have been banned. People need to start giving bad reviews on the AppStore. Disgusting.

Tinder expert review by Mark Brooks

Tinder is a mobile dating app that can be downloaded and used for free. It is currently the largest and most popular dating app online with over 50 million downloads. It is best known for its extremely popular swiping feature.

• Social Media Login: Tinder uses your Facebook profile as a means of sign up for their dating app. This helps prevent fraud and makes it easy to quickly import information and photos over to Tinder so you can begin searching immediately.

• Swiping: Tinder's popular swiping feature allows members to quickly move through matches until they find people of interest. If you do not like the profile you are looking at, swipe left and you will not see them again. If you are interested, swipe right. If you accidentally swipe in the wrong direction, you can now pay to unswipe a match.

• Consent before contact: While most dating sites will let users contact anyone in their membership ranks, Tinder will only allow you to contact someone if you have both "Swiped Right" on each other.

• Quick local matching: Tinder is most popularly used as a way to meet people the same day within close proximity.

• Best for: People looking for new friends, casual connections, short-term relationships, and people looking to meet someone within hours of first contact.

Profile picture of Mark Brooks
Mark Brooks Online Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.

Tinder Company Information