2.90/5

244 OkCupid.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 16, 2019

This is the worst dating site I've ever been on and it's so so overrated that I'm pretty sure people who write positive five star reviews were paid by the company themselves. As soon as you sign up, your account will often be automatically suspended as they "review" it, however, if you don't contact them about it, they'll never restore it. And even if you do, they probably won't restore it either. Even if it's been restored, you're going to be suspended again, again, and again, for literally no reason. This is an exclusive site for a circle of special people that the moderators personally approve of.

If they don't like you, you simply will be rejected, for whatever reason they think of (you'll never know the reason, since there is none actually). They ask a lot of questions, and if they don't like your answers or personal opinion on things, again, you'll get suspended. It will be disguised as "violation of the terms of service". Don't bother using this site, the staff won't help you. It's utterly useless. That's the "democracy" and "equality" they're so proud of promoting.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I only signed up a week ago and got suspended before I even had the chance to do literally anything on there. Tried contacting them about this but they don't reply. Really crappy customer service... Didn't even let me join, for no reason. Doesn't like me I guess? :)

Get expert buying tips about Online Dating Sites and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I was a user from Spring of 2017 to February of 2018. Messaging was fine and I really liked the way the site was setup, until the end of 2017 when a change was made so that only with mutual likes can you read another's message. I messaged a girl in February 2017. Unsure if my message went through, confused by the system. I eventually found myself IP banned, and multiple attempts to reach out were met with vague responses or nothing at all. They would just say something happened that violated terms and wouldn't even give a specific reason.

Original review: May 9, 2019

(This is what I emailed OkCupid but the email address didn't work.) This morning my inbox was filled with messages from OkCupid, starting with the usual welcome message you guys send out, followed by a dozen replies to the account set up in the name "Eva". I find it really amazing that someone can set up a fake profile using someone's email, with you not sending a confirmation email requiring a confirmation reply before setting up that account - to ensure it is legitimate. I advise that you do so for security purposes - and that's standard today. I have never used your service nor do I use such websites. I immediately went into the account, used password reset to get the password, and shut down the fraudulent account that was set up with my email address (the one sending this note).

Original review: May 7, 2019

I used OkCupid for about a year. As a man, you really aren't going to find matches until you pay for their subscription (but more on that later). I tried to sign into my account today and a red box kept flashing briefly saying "your account has been suspended due to violation of terms. Contact us if you think this is in error." Not only did I never receive an email or any other communication regarding this suspension, but the red box that flashes is only there for a moment and then disappears. Almost like they want you to not realize why you can't get in.

Ok now the infuriating part. They tell you "contact us," but THERE IS NO CONTACT INFO for them anywhere on their website or help section! I did not violate their terms of service and now I can not find a way to contact them. So in summary, I got suspended for doing nothing wrong, they never notified me I was suspended. And then they send you on a fools errand to "contact" them, knowing that they don't have any contact info listed. Highly Unethical. For anyone else still interested in OkCupid, just know that unless you're a beautiful woman, your profile is not going to get any actual exposure unless you pay for a subscription and "boost."

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OkCupid.com?

Original review: April 29, 2019

This site used to be pretty good many years ago with fairly decent looking people but now unfortunately it has gone downhill with not a good selection of many profiles worth responding to. We have unfortunately come to a time now that you just can't write a straightforward thoughtful message anymore to any profile at the least is remotely decent to give the benefit. Now you swipe for "likes" which isn't very effective useful feature.

To make matters worse for the women out there such as myself, I have never in my life seen so many UNATTRACTIVE DESPICABLE DISGUSTING looking men in my life. I cringe at these profiles at how they pose for pictures without a care in the world. From taking horrible shots of themselves with fish, dolphins, farm animals, groups of people where you have to guess for which person, you name it, I've seen it.

These dumpy looking men have absolutely no care in the world how they present themselves or make effort to attract their profiles worth even looking at. These men are 20 years older than their actual age, fat, bald, "goat looking creatures" with yellow facial hair, homely, desperate looking and just plain HORRIBLE AND DISGUSTING. Gone are the days and years gone by where men used to be nice and handsome looking. Wish me luck PLEASE!

Original review: April 27, 2019

I used to use OkCupid for many years, until my account was suddenly deleted/banned. I opened a new account but after 2 days that one got banned too. I tried to communicate it with the customer service, however I've never received a reply from them and still can't log in. It used to be the best dating site, but they have gone too far with blocking really good profiles.

Original review: April 16, 2019

OkCupid is a terrible website and company. They are constantly closing my accounts for alleged violations, but then they invite me to contact them if I think this is an error (which it is). But they don't provide any way to contact them. I just opened a fresh account, and had not even used it, but was soon told it was closed for a violation. Lol. I managed to locate their email Address from another website, but they have never once replied to my messages. They actually do not offer any support, and the website does not work properly.

Original review: April 12, 2019

A discriminating, disgusting, offensive site made by leftists. Banned my account for reporting an offensive, violent harassment of another user horrible messages. After that report my account was banned!!!! Instead of protecting my account from criminals, they put illegal criminal behavior on pedestal. This elements are pathetic. They cover bad, horrible offensive behavior. Never answer any e-mails or requests. This site must be banned. Burn in hell, dumb site "owners." They need to be investigated for illegal activities!

Original review: April 10, 2019

I had an account where I reported a stranger for sending unsolicited harassing messages. My account was then deleted by OkCupid. It is not safe for women—there is no good moderation. Steer clear of this site.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Although I've been a user for years, suddenly I was told "username/password incorrect" every time I tried to log in, even though I knew perfectly well that they weren't. I hadn't done anything wrong or offended anyone. Complaints to OKC were useless. I've lost all sorts of friendly conversations and contacts. I rejoined anyway with a new profile but now cannot even access bookmarked profiles. OkCupid is becoming an unsatisfactory experience.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I was on OKC a few years ago, and during that time I got an email from OKC saying that they were going to start matching me with men who were attractive because I had so many likes (see the message below). I was even selected by OKC to be on the panel that reviewed inappropriate content. Then...I met someone and made the mistake of deleting my account. That relationship did not work out, so one year later I got back on OKC with a NEW account.

Now, I am having such a bad experience. Where I used to get many men interested in me who I thought were attractive, now I only get matched with what I consider to be very unattractive men. I don't mean moderately unattractive... I mean very unattractive. I have not had a single date with anyone in the 3 months that I've been back on because of the quality of men I'm matched with. I wish I had not paid for the 6 month subscription, but when it expires, I am done with OKC! I am not happy with how the algorithm is working for me.

This is the message I got from OKC in 2017: "We just detected that you’re now among the most attractive people on OkCupid. We learned this from clicks to your profile and reactions to you in DoubleTake. Did you get a new haircut or something? Well, it’s working! To celebrate, we’ve adjusted your OkCupid experience: You’ll see more attractive people in your results. This won’t affect your match percentages, which are still based purely on your answers and desired match’s answers. But we’ll recommend more attractive people to you. You’ll also appear more often to other attractive people. Sign in to see your newly-shuffled matches. Have fun, and don’t let this go to your head."

Original review: March 19, 2019

Banned me numerous times for absolutely no reason. Discriminative and offensive leftist site. Does not bother to reply to my emails. Terrible experience, the staff has zero respect towards their customers. Lots of bot accounts used to increase the number of "users". See you in court.

Original review: March 13, 2019

The woman has all the power to read or not read your message. Women can send males messages but they won't see men's messages unless they want to. The women on this website know they have the power and they abuse it by treating the men like crap. Also if a woman don't like a man for whatever reason all she has to do is make a false report (true or not) and the man will be kicked off/banned from the site.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Compared to other dating sites, I think OkCupid has the greatest potential of all of them, even if it's only a LITTLE better. There ARE real humans on it who DO actually message you, and you DON'T need to pay for a subscription to use it. Unfortunately, there aren't that many people using OkCupid, so keep that in mind. It probably only has a tenth of the population that other dating sites have, and the majority of the users are ** or ** people. Not many Asians, but there are some. I've used OkCupid on and off for a few months, with and without paid subscriptions, and I did get a few real, human people responding (but less than a dozen in total). The entire site works off of a "DoubleTake" system, which is completely free. Paying doesn't even influence the system in any beneficial way for you. (I even think that paying makes your matches WORSE.)

Paying for a subscription basically gives you two benefits: You get thrown to the top of the matches list for an hour or so everyday when other users go through DoubleTake, and you can see one-sided likes from other users (like in Tinder), which is really not all that meaningful anyway because of how DoubleTake works. The DoubleTake system is basically the same thing as Tinder's swipe system, except that you can send your likes messages (if you view their profile and send them). Your messages show up as part of YOUR profile when the person you liked comes across you in DoubleTake.

If you're looking for a genuinely FREE dating site that DOES work and you have the patience to sift through totally random matches, try OkCupid. You don't need to pay for it, and honestly, I don't recommend doing so since you won't gain much out of it anyway. OkCupid's probably the only site out there that doesn't gate people from sending messages.

Original review: March 4, 2019

First, I re-opened an account I made a couple years ago. It went fine, I started updating all my information and put a lot of effort and thought into filling it out. Within' 24 hours I could not access my account because of "terms violations" according to the message I received when attempting with an additional "contact us if you think this is a mistake", with no link to a contact page and no link ANYWHERE on their site to contact them. Luckily, I remembered having this issue years ago, the first time I signed up and filled out my information and being furious, so I went through my e-mail and found the support@okcupid.com address and the e-mail from the last time this happened. I contacted them and over 24 hours later, they finally responded with a copy and paste of the message they gave me before. Which basically said they didn't know why this had happened but my account was accessible now.

During the 24 hours I was locked out I attempted to sign up from Facebook and start over, although I was very aggravated at this time. I had one technical error after another and was never able to log in or sign up (so I thought) using the Facebook method. Later I received the message my original account was accessible, so I went to my Facebook and found the app and disconnected it from my information.

Here's where it gets REALLY RIDICULOUS. I started getting e-mails from the e-mail connected to my Facebook, from OKCUPID. Yet, any time I went to the website and attempted to log in to the account, it told me there was a technical error and to try again later. Their website was down for two hours that day and when it came back up, I was already logged into my account (so I thought) when I typed the address in. It appeared that all the information I filled out had been deleted, I began filling it out again, very angry and sent them a message about it. Then I logged out of the account and tried to log back in, realizing that perhaps it had me logged into the account that was connected to Facebook that I'd never been able to log into.

Upon logging in using my original information, I saw that my profile was filled out, so it HAD been the account connected to Facebook. SO, very frustrated over all my wasted time and all this effort and mess, I logged out and attempted to get back into the Facebook connected account to delete it... only to receive the technical error I HAD ALWAYS RECEIVED when attempting to log into that account.

They stole my face and my name and my information and have made it impossible for me to access this account to delete it. The only time I was on that profile, was when they had me auto-logged into it after their site was down and at that time I thought it was the original, as that is THE ONLY ACCOUNT I HAVE EVER BEEN ABLE TO ACCESS FROM THE LOGIN PAGE.

Essentially, not only did they ** me around and waste my time, they have stolen my identity and refused me access to remove it from their website. I contacted them many times over the last 48 hours demanding 1. my money refunded for the original account, as I had just PAID THEM MONEY and within' 24 hours was furious and wanted my money back. And 2. That they remove this profile they are denying me access to with my face and my name and my information from their website or to fix this "technical error" and let me do it myself. They have ignored me, I am yet to receive a response and I am furious, this is essentially identity theft.

Original review: March 1, 2019

Joined this out of curiosity. It is definitely not free and I have a suspicion the ones messaging you are employed by them. All have a similar profile and are definitely too good to be true. I was barred from messaging someone unless I paid. Surprisingly they claimed they were in a few miles of me and I only had to subscribe. Total scam and sorry but I wasnt buying into it. Would rather stay single than hand my cash to scammers like that. Sent an email complaining and surprise I am blocked lol. Zero stars for them should be an option x.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

While I met a couple decent guys on this site with whom I would like to maintain a friendship or more, it was a decidedly lopsided experience. I wade through more cringe worthy profiles or guys just not compatible with me than I care to admit on the way to those 2 guys. While OkCupid cannot be held responsible for the failings of members (who should theoretically be mature enough to be responsible for themselves at age 18 plus), they let a couple creeps keep opening new accounts after being repeatedly banned. And the creeps kept coming back to message me again after I said no to them.

OkCupid did not take the hint and ban an IP address or whatever would keep that kind of weirdo off. I also question whatever algorithm OkCupid uses because I’ve met a few guys who, according to algorithm, are 90% plus “matches” or “friends” and 10 percent or less “enemy”...but when I met them, it was clear within an hour they were not compatible with me (though they weren’t necessarily bad people).

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Was a member for over a decade, severely disinclined to obtain a paid 'A-List; subscription - and like so many OTHER sites, Match.com gobbled it up to completely destroy any value once had. Have watch the site RAPIDLY decline, sent at least a half-dozen complaints, including their failure to restore my original profile to single-space format these past 1-2 years but, the final insult was expecting me to scroll through over 300 Match questions after capriciously eliminating categories by which those were sorted - went OFF on them, and they (perhaps mercifully) suspended my account...really, REALLY wish someone can come in to fill what will INEVITABLY be the void left by a RELENTLESSLY cash-grubbing, unbelievably shortsighted (no, IDIOTIC) set of owners before TOO much longer - as this leaves Plenty of Fish as the ONLY truly free dating site left, and it's got a whole DIFFERENT bunch of problems for users.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I was an OkCupid user for several years, going on and off as I met people and dated. Never had any issues with policies until randomly I tried to log in 3 weeks ago and it said my profile was suspended and if I felt this was done in error to contact them. There is literally no way to contact them without a profile, so I was forced to create a new profile and go to the help options. After finding where to write them, I explained how I believe there was a mix up and please unsuspend my account. They never responded. A week later I wrote again, stating it’s been over a week and I’m still locked out by error. Then they responded and said I was suspended for a picture that was posted. Knowing all of my pictures met the guidelines I went to the help menu again and told them there’s no way, and to please recheck. No response. Wrote again after the 2nd week passed. No response.

Now the 3rd week has passed and still nothing AND the other profile I created is suspended as well. For some reason they don’t want real people with real photos on their app. All of the half-naked women and men seem to stay or people with no pics at all, but a real life person using their app to actually date and get to know people they suspend. It just doesn’t make sense. I am very upset about this as I formed friendships and started getting to know others and now have no way to contact them. I refuse to create another profile, I want my profile back that I created in 2012... So needless to say I will now be finding another dating app to use.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Tried it for over a year, met several women but 1 out of 20 was like she described herself. Still, didn't blame OKCupid. However, I do blame them for removing my account for no good reason. Honest, always a gentleman and very careful to abide by the rules, I can only think it might have been a racial issue. I'm brown skinned multi-racial and searched and liked women of all races and colors. However, in the section where you see a photo and decide whether you'd might like to meet or not, they kept showing me mostly ** women. Maybe I'm wrong, but they still removed my account for no good reason.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I am an educated single man 61 years old. After being on OkCupid.com for months had no luck... After all, my account has been suspended for being too honest. I think I gave them a hard time, recognizing the fake accounts. I spent more time flagging fake profile pictures than looking for a soulmate. The only benefit this site had for me, getting advertisement from match.com and other dating site in my Facebook and Email's account. One star is too many for this website.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I'm a pretty educated single woman but after being on OkCupid.com for 6 months had no luck... After all, my account has been suspended for being too honest, probably. I think I gave them a hard time, reporting hundreds of fake accounts. I spent more time flagging fake profile pictures than looking for a soul mate. Got obsessed with being loyal. One day I couldn't log in. Tried to open another account - same problem (my home IP address was suspended). Thanks OkCupid.com!!! Got my life back and met someone offline!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Be aware of this site. This site is full of scammers and one night stands. I got scammed here guy who pretended he is in the army. The photos may not be a person you are actually talking to. It’s easy for scammers to take someone else’s photo and pretend him. They prey on vulnerable and innocent women who is desperately looking for love. After I got scammed and reported to the site management, but the guy's photos still available to prey on innocent women. I reported at least five times on same exact photos. What’s so shady about this website is that they are reluctant to do anything about it nor hand it over to the law enforcement or FBI. Those people are criminals and need to get off from this website. This company also need to get sued and better yet, our government should do something about this online criminal. They are getting more and more sophisticated. Please be careful talking to anyone on this site.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I signed up and paid to see my likes. Within three days of paying for the service my account has been canceled - no reason given. I thought this must be a mistake and discovered there is no customer service number and OkCupid doesn't return emails. But OkCupid is still running my profile on the site. I attempted many times to receive the reset email and that doesn't work either.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I was able to choose my preference when it comes to age ethnicity and areas in the world. I only didn't like the format. For me it's not really users friendly. I was able to use the other format but OkCupid brought back the old format. Even the size of the letters are too small. Most of the time you need to zoom it a little to have a better view of what you're writing on the chat room.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Many of the profiles on OkCupid are on other sites, like most sites the men outnumber the women. After 3 days my account was suspended and no reason given other than I somehow violated terms of the site. It says to contact customer support but there is no email or link to do that. So I was not disappointed because I didn't expect much as online dating is a joke. :P

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Just joined recently. Several problems with this site including no customer service available. I see over 78 "liked me". However when I click on it, there are 2? I have received "likes" and all but one, when I try to message these men I get a reply "this profile is private or not available." Seems like I have been scammed. Overall, since I am on the free option, while there are many male profiles, the vast majority are among the oddest I have ever seen. Few if any are professionals, many have rambling profiles, have avatars and no pictures, some have pics with their cars/motorcycles, with hair down to their shoulders, pics of their crotch (though dressed), topless with a towel around their privates, topless with a can of beer... The list goes on. Ladies like me, don't waste your time on OkCupid!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I have also used OKC sporadically over the years. I signed up for A-List this time, and was severely disappointed at the service I got. I received notifications that a person liked me, but going to the app, I couldn't see their profile in my Likes tab. Only found later, that she wouldn't appear unless I liked her first! WTH? Then I found somebody I liked, took the time to craft a message, only to find out that she won't see it unless she views my profile first. OK, OKCupid. I'm done with you. I'm never going back. I'd have better luck out in the wild.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I have used OkCupid off and on for multiple years. The website has gone down the drain in recent years with the changes to the messaging service. Still, I have met more people and gained more dates from this app than any other dating website despite its serious flaws. OkCupid does use shadow banning in the form of cookies they put on your computer that is used to prevent you from getting matches, messages, and signing up. I had to delete these often to keep my computer and account clean. The A List premium feature is definitely not worth it anymore since most of its functionality has been removed. A List only gives you additional search features, but all the other A List features that were pay only before was expanded to free accounts or removed completely from functioning.

OkCupid.com expert review by Mark Brooks

OKCupid.com is a free site that offers members the ability to upgrade their experience by subscribing to a premium membership. Created in 2004, the site serves millions of members through a unique profile format and optional question and answer section.

• Unique profile format: Many dating sites only ask members to tell a little bit about themselves and who they are looking for. OKCupid makes it easier to learn more about prospective dates through open ended profile questions including six things you can't live without, what you are good at, what you are doing with your life, what you like to do on a friday night and more.

• Thousands of optional questions: OKCupid has a unique feature that allows you to answer as many or as few multiple questions on topics ranging from values and relationship goals to personal hygiene and basic math skills. You can then compare your answers to those of people whose profiles you are viewing.

• Advanced search algorithm: Users can choose both physical and value-based attributes to search for, improving the quality of the matches they find. Some criteria are only available via upgraded membership.

• Anonymous email network: Users can email potential matches through OKCupid.com's own messaging service, allowing them to keep their identities and contact info private until they are ready to share it.

• Profiles are screened before being posted: OKCupid.com staff screens profiles and photos before posting to ensure only appropriate information makes it onto the site.

• Best for: People looking for long-term relationships, people looking for short-term relationships, and people looking for a large dating pool.

Profile picture of Mark Brooks
Mark Brooks Online Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.

OkCupid.com Company Information