1.25/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

214 OkCupid.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Too many changes, way too much about money and lots of fake profiles. Can't message people like you use to. That's such a big let down. They will only get your message if they like you. That isn't a good dating site.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I liked this site when it was new, before all the privacy violations of users' data, and back when you could author your own questions. Lately you cannot. Existing questions are very immature, and the site has focused on quick swiping interface to match other unsophisticated dating apps. It became just that. Lots of bugs, unresponsive support. Also very low user base in some countries and very unattractive men, most sporting an ugly beard. Looks like the attractive men moved to other dating apps, while the surviving user base is score points on personality.

Get expert buying tips about Online Dating Sites and Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I stopped my paid membership several years ago after realizing that MANY of the Women's profiles showed to me were fake (many often stating "looking for Men 28-99"). They run a special re-join for $15.00 about every 6 months, I reluctantly rejoined for the "20% off" price in order to be able to see who "liked" my profile over the last 12 months (you can't see that unless you pay)... What I got was shown Women in the age groups "60, 65, 70, 75" and additionally Men and Transgenders... All of which I am totally not into and have my preferences set to not be shown any of that. After complaining all I got was B.S. replies back from cust. serv. I stopped my paid membership. OKCUPID is owned by Match.com.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I join as it claimed free dating but quickly found that it wouldn't load anything except the upgrade page. Yes I admit I didn't read the terms properly. Chose the 6 month option thinking it would be monthly so was shocked when they deducted the whole amount. After an hour of trying to maneuver my way round site unsuccessfully mind you. I managed to come across a guy I went to school with that was known as the local ice dealer, he claimed he was 8 years younger than he is, his first line of his profile said funny, honest, doesn't drink, smoke or do drug. So 3 strikes this app is out! I contacted them to advise I was not happy and wanted a refund. This was 28th Oct and 31st Oct and still no response. Is there anybody out there OkCupid?

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I received a message every single time I signed on that someone new liked me. They keep a running number in high visibility onscreen of every page so they want you pulled in to pay and find out who is liking you, as you won't know without paying. There were not new likes, mostly stale ones and they don't remove the ones that you have already passed on, so 95% of my likes were from people I had said no to who were supposedly removed from my searches.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OkCupid.com?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

OkCupid used to be a decent dating app. But ever since it was acquired by IAC in 2011, OkCupid has steadily gotten worse. They have removed many of the features of the original app. You can no longer see who has visited your profile. In addition, they have made it very difficult to get a message to someone who you might be interested in dating: Two people have to both "like" each other and "match" first, before you can exchange messages with each other. Worst of all, it's populated with fake accounts and scammers: I had to resort to doing reverse image searches on any profile photo that looked attractive - in a futile attempt to screen out the vast number of users who misrepresent themselves with bogus pics copied and pasted from the Internet. Don't waste your time with this crappy dating app!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

100% fake profiles, weirdos, transgenders, and PSYCHOPATHS. One in particular named Carla who gave me her number and pretended to feign interest for a couple days... Then suddenly out of nowhere she freaks out and says she is going to the police and calling her lawyers!!! YIKES! OKC is a ** website.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I created a profile and the next day my account was suspended. I checked the associated email address and no explanation was given, nor any way to appeal the suspension. I did not send any inappropriate or disrespectful messages - in fact I never sent any messages to begin with. My profile page was also incomplete and didn’t contain anything sexual or offensive. I have an anxiety disorder and the lack of communication causes me distress. Was my account hacked? Did someone accidentally report me?

If OKCupid is going to ban fresh accounts with no dirt or terms of service violations, then I’m especially worried for anyone who trusts OKCupid with their most private information... OKCupid obviously has a very diverse member base and asks (optional) information about race, sexual orientation, and voting habits for matching users. I wonder what all this data is used for?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I had been a member on OKCupid for several years off and on and recently my account was banned. I have reached via Twitter and email to no avail. I am 100% that my messages were not in any way violent, sexually explicit nor harassment of any form. My ex-boyfriend who was on a sexual offenders list is on there and we had a horrible break up. He recently posted his profile back up and I believe he made something up. It took me complaining to the BBB for me to get a response, and they said they received a report against me, but due to the nature we cannot release that information.

Well since I know I have not sent anything wrong, how was that information validated? Did you look at the message history? Did they see if it was a fake profile? Or did they just take their word for it even though it's a false claim? That's not fair to the people who use the site accordingly. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE, NO ASSISTANCE AND NO PROTOCOL SET UP. DO NOT USE THIS SITE!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I tried to pay for a 1 month subscription. I got a prompt telling me that my credit card transaction failed, so I ran it again, only to discover that the first transaction DID go through. So I was charged twice! Now, I have to get a new credit card to avoid being charged again every month. It's my own fault, I know! Stay far AWAY from this garbage site! They will rob you and give you no way of rectifying the situation. They provide an email but tell you, after you write to them that they probably won't respond. What kind of nonsense is that!! Scammers!!! STAY AWAY!!! They stole over $40.00 from me, with no regard. It's sad that companies like this are allowed to continue. I only gave them 1 star because there is no option to give 0 stars.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

This site has no verification process. This site has nothing but scammers from northern Africa and the Ukraine. The only real people there are 1000s of miles away. 99 percent of contacts try to move you offsite by getting a phone number, then they ask for money. No one should be able to put up a profile without photo Id verification. Until they do that it's pure bs. I could personally care less about a photo posted. I want to know about the person. They have attempted to make it like Tinder and no one you pick ever matches. It's not trans friendly because of this. Straight trans haters select your photo and then find out you are trans and troll you instead of walking away. Bottom line stay away from this and all match sites unless you have lots of money. Scammers are going to ask you for money multiple times daily.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I subscribed to the OKC platform in June and was recently suspended. I paid for six month A list. I was notified today my account will be deleted and will not receive a refund. I have no idea why, but I did write a seething email to the support desk. My complaint is that I am a straight male and filled out my profile accordingly, but for some reason I would frequently be shown trans and gay male profiles. I live in SF and that's not my thing. I was pissed that the my rights to not select this lifestyle was being ignored. I'm sure this website could do better. Account closures to paying customers isn't a good business model.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I would agree with another review that the quality of People has declined significantly. I was stood up by one user after I drove two hours to met her in person back in 2008 at a restaurant and another user had two accounts and wrote to many guys and jerked me around and jerked other people around. The user who goes by the user id vornamesurname user on OkCupid. Beware of that user! I was so disgusted with the users on OkCupid. I removed my account after the website. Sadly I feel has taken a turn for worse, as I see the users as nothing, but trash on OkCupid from my experience. They could rev up security and not allow multiple accounts from the same IP. At one time OkCupid was completely free years ago. Now they try to screw you if you want to see who has clicked they liked you.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I made a profile with approx 300 questions answered and in the beginning no photo. Guess what, 2 liked me already, wow that promises something! I liked some of the profiles but apparently not one of them who liked me in return. Most of the profiles OkCupid did match with me, were completely not according to my wishful partner questions. And every time I logged-in there was a pop-up with a blurred image of somebody who liked me. I made screens of these pop-ups and found out that there was always another photo blurred but my 'liked' button was steady at 3. Therefore it is all fake! I'm so glad I didn't pay for it! It is all scam.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I had signed up for their A List on 08-07-18, purchasing their 6 month program for $59.99. Two days later, I cannot access my account. It is now 09-04-18 and I have yet to receive help after sending feedback sometimes as often as more than once a day. I have sent it directly to their feedback page, to the app developer's email, and even called a phone number that was connected to the charge on my credit card for them. Every single one has been ignored. They will take your money and run with it. I plan on seeing if other people have experienced this and start a class action lawsuit if there are enough of us paying the same lawyer.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I created a profile just for fun, put a brief message and one photo on there, and then forgot to check it again. Suddenly three weeks later, I started getting lots of likes and messages so I checked them. The messages were from women responding to messages I had supposedly sent, and some said "gee thanks for the lecture" so I wonder what the messages were saying in my name. Here's the kicker, though... when I checked my profile OKCupid had changed my photo to an older gentleman and changed the age to 59 (from 42). It also added what looked like computer generated text to my profile while keeping my original text up top. I have no idea what went on there but I immediately shut my profile down. By the way, there were messages from 12 different women that had the exact same message and the service said I had to pay to see them. These guys are a total scam.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Stole my money, stole my personal info, suspended my account. And they did so without any warning! What a violation! These internet companies are way too big and powerful. Apparently this company has an automated system that when someone complains, as many people will when they've been rejected, it automatically suspends the account of the person against whom the complaint was lodged. Then a small team of people use their subjective opinions to determine if the suspension is warranted. In the meantime, no notice or communication is provided to the person against whom the complaint was lodged and no offers to refund their money are made.

So there is no reason for the suspension provided, no opportunity to learn from potential mistakes, and who knows whether there ever actually was a policy violation! Likewise, who knows what they wind up doing with all your private information that you trusted them with in your hopes to find that special someone. Yikes! Get out while you can!!!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I tried this site for several years and initially I met some decent women. But over time it became a bad site; they changed so many features to make it harder to meet people and I then only seemed to meet damaged women. A lot of sexual abuse victims who never tell you their history until you start dating, then the crazy ** starts. At this point I'm done with online dating, as every other site is either very similar or literally impossible to meet someone, based on limitations of site or pricey memberships.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I have to wonder how legitimate this dating site is. If you're interested in another member, you send them a "Like." And if they're interested, they send you one in return. I'm a man and have gotten a number of these Likes from women that I would be interested in. When I send them a Like in return, I don't get a reply. So I have to wonder... Is this something fraudulent that's perpetrated by the dating site to induce their members to stay on the site? If not, then why are these women sending me Likes but not any replies?

Original review: July 28, 2018

I've been on OKC for many years. Got a few dates there. But, in recent months since the powers that be decided to "revamp" the way you contact people, More like "Tinder", the site has gone downhill. And it's gone fast. Almost every Friday night the site would be full of people within 100 miles of me. Tonight there were 14 women on within 100 miles of me.

Now, the way they have it set up, a woman will get thousands of likes before she gets one email. She has to like you back before you can message her. With the thousands of "likes" that a woman gets, if you're a guy, you're out of luck. Many women are not interested in going through thousands of likes just looking for one guy to date.

The site has become pretty useless to both men and women. With the thousands that have left because of the current changes, it's a waste of time to even bother with OKC. Just to clarify, You can write a woman, but she will never know you did unless she likes you back. So, if you are on OKC writing messages, you've probably written a bunch of women that will never know. OKC is a total waste of your time.

Original review: June 29, 2018

This site was ridiculous. 75% were fake profiles of pictures cut out from magazines. It should be shut down. How can they seriously take your money with a straight face? I thought you pay for quality. I paid but I guess that is why it is also free. It is not a dating site. It is a scammer site. The only question I have is why? What is the point for deception on both sides? The business and those who have the fake profiles. Truly laughable!

Original review: June 2, 2018

I have been a member of OKCupid for a long time. But recently, I have been propagated by their constant messages to write to people. I wrote a few messages in kind asking about hobbies and interests and was involved with a few new friends about life and fun things to do. Then I was suspended. I have not lied about my age or details. Unfortunately, they suspended me for no reason. I have been polite and honest about my nature in my profile and messages. I joined OKCupid to make friends, as I did. But they took away my friends by blocking me. I deeply feel remorse and discriminated by OKCupid. For no apparent reason they have subjected me to being suspended.

It is a wide known fact that many dating sites are affiliated with racism within their comprehensive organizations. I feel OKcupid and some other of these dating sites harvest personal data and promote ethnopluralism within society. I have been constantly writing to them to discuss what the reason is they did that, but have not replied at all. Nonetheless, they have electronically been asking for my IP address which they are able to furthermore manipulate within society for the propagation of their biased propaganda within society.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Very questionable. In all ways. The quality of men is not there. In fact the scammers are more polite than the men and the scammers are there by the ton. They are pretty obvious and not quite intelligent due to the fact that their stories are all the same. It obvious as well that their English is poor. Do not send money. Men tend to not read your profile either. Not worth the aggravation. I will stay single.

Original review: May 15, 2018

OKC has over the years, "allowed," scientific research sites to scrape data from profiles. Your profile content, pics, questions, all up for grabs/scraping. That's been reported on. Why would their site "questions" (which they encourage users to answer) and multiple choice answers be designed the way they are? Hm? I wonder. I've used the site for years. Waste of time. For users.

Original review: May 9, 2018

About a week ago, I tried to log in and got an error saying my account was suspended due to a “terms violation”. I have reached out to them twice and no one will respond to my request for an explanation. This is really a load of crap. I’ve been a member for several years, never send nasty emails to anyone, used my own current photos, been honest about my age, etc. Meanwhile, scammers are everywhere on that site. I guess being honest doesn’t pay.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I've been using OkC off and on for over 5 yrs. A couple weeks ago, I suddenly couldn't log in. I requested to change my password, no response. I contacted customer support, no response. Guess I'm never using OkC again.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I hate the new messaging changes. I can't see who I have messaged & who I have liked unless they like me back - so frustrating! I also would like to receive my messages as soon as I get them. I don't want to scroll through endless profiles to find the ones who reached out! So so awful. Probably won't use this site much longer which sucks because OkCupid.com was one of my favorite dating sites till the recent changes. Please go back to the way the messages worked before!!!

Original review: April 4, 2018

I was talking with two guys I really liked a lot then I found out one of them was looking for a sex based relationship & the other who knows what happened to him. I felt like I wasted my money on a six month subscription because I haven’t been able to go on a single date with anyone from this site or eHarmony. I hate the fact that most of the people are only looking for hookups/FWB &/or new friends. What happened to dating leading into marriage?

I also can’t stand the fact when I click anywhere you guys don’t have an option for people living in the United States only. Why? Because I’m not going to date someone in Africa, Asia, or Europe or any other country outside the U.S. I’d recommend any other site other than this one & I want a refund. Sites I’d recommend: Match, Zoosk, Bumble, Tinder, Coffee Meets Bagel, Christian Mingle, Muddy Matches, Christian Connection, Chemistry. Basically anywhere else but here, eHarmony & POF.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I had been messaging with two handsome men. Right before meeting them I gave them my phone number. They both looked very different, yet once on the phone sounded identical! They both said their accent was from Australia. I closed my account and blocked both of their numbers. Beware and be careful!

Original review: March 6, 2018

"Hi, Your account was banned from our site for behavior that violates the OkCupid Terms of Service. Your account and photos have been removed from public view. We consider this matter resolved.". That's all I get from them when I ask OkCupid why they deleted my account that was over 5 years old. I have no idea what they think I did that violated the TOS, and would like to access the thousands of messages I exchanged with users over that period. Even the ironically faceless Facebook has better customer service.

OkCupid.com expert review by Mark Brooks

OKCupid.com is a free site that offers members the ability to upgrade their experience by subscribing to a premium membership. Created in 2004, the site serves millions of members through a unique profile format and optional question and answer section.

• Unique profile format: Many dating sites only ask members to tell a little bit about themselves and who they are looking for. OKCupid makes it easier to learn more about prospective dates through open ended profile questions including six things you can't live without, what you are good at, what you are doing with your life, what you like to do on a friday night and more.

• Thousands of optional questions: OKCupid has a unique feature that allows you to answer as many or as few multiple questions on topics ranging from values and relationship goals to personal hygiene and basic math skills. You can then compare your answers to those of people whose profiles you are viewing.

• Advanced search algorithm: Users can choose both physical and value-based attributes to search for, improving the quality of the matches they find. Some criteria are only available via upgraded membership.

• Anonymous email network: Users can email potential matches through OKCupid.com's own messaging service, allowing them to keep their identities and contact info private until they are ready to share it.

• Profiles are screened before being posted: OKCupid.com staff screens profiles and photos before posting to ensure only appropriate information makes it onto the site.

• Best for: People looking for long-term relationships, people looking for short-term relationships, and people looking for a large dating pool.

Profile picture of Mark Brooks
Mark Brooks Online Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.

OkCupid.com Company Information