1.37/5

206 OkCupid.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I had been a member on OKCupid for several years off and on and recently my account was banned. I have reached via Twitter and email to no avail. I am 100% that my messages were not in any way violent, sexually explicit nor harassment of any form. My ex-boyfriend who was on a sexual offenders list is on there and we had a horrible break up. He recently posted his profile back up and I believe he made something up. It took me complaining to the BBB for me to get a response, and they said they received a report against me, but due to the nature we cannot release that information.

Well since I know I have not sent anything wrong, how was that information validated? Did you look at the message history? Did they see if it was a fake profile? Or did they just take their word for it even though it's a false claim? That's not fair to the people who use the site accordingly. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE, NO ASSISTANCE AND NO PROTOCOL SET UP. DO NOT USE THIS SITE!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I tried to pay for a 1 month subscription. I got a prompt telling me that my credit card transaction failed, so I ran it again, only to discover that the first transaction DID go through. So I was charged twice! Now, I have to get a new credit card to avoid being charged again every month. It's my own fault, I know! Stay far AWAY from this garbage site! They will rob you and give you no way of rectifying the situation. They provide an email but tell you, after you write to them that they probably won't respond. What kind of nonsense is that!! Scammers!!! STAY AWAY!!! They stole over $40.00 from me, with no regard. It's sad that companies like this are allowed to continue. I only gave them 1 star because there is no option to give 0 stars.

Get expert buying tips about Online Dating Sites and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

This site has no verification process. This site has nothing but scammers from northern Africa and the Ukraine. The only real people there are 1000s of miles away. 99 percent of contacts try to move you offsite by getting a phone number, then they ask for money. No one should be able to put up a profile without photo Id verification. Until they do that it's pure bs. I could personally care less about a photo posted. I want to know about the person. They have attempted to make it like Tinder and no one you pick ever matches. It's not trans friendly because of this. Straight trans haters select your photo and then find out you are trans and troll you instead of walking away. Bottom line stay away from this and all match sites unless you have lots of money. Scammers are going to ask you for money multiple times daily.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I subscribed to the OKC platform in June and was recently suspended. I paid for six month A list. I was notified today my account will be deleted and will not receive a refund. I have no idea why, but I did write a seething email to the support desk. My complaint is that I am a straight male and filled out my profile accordingly, but for some reason I would frequently be shown trans and gay male profiles. I live in SF and that's not my thing. I was pissed that the my rights to not select this lifestyle was being ignored. I'm sure this website could do better. Account closures to paying customers isn't a good business model.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I would agree with another review that the quality of People has declined significantly. I was stood up by one user after I drove two hours to met her in person back in 2008 at a restaurant and another user had two accounts and wrote to many guys and jerked me around and jerked other people around. The user who goes by the user id vornamesurname user on OkCupid. Beware of that user! I was so disgusted with the users on OkCupid. I removed my account after the website. Sadly I feel has taken a turn for worse, as I see the users as nothing, but trash on OkCupid from my experience. They could rev up security and not allow multiple accounts from the same IP. At one time OkCupid was completely free years ago. Now they try to screw you if you want to see who has clicked they liked you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OkCupid.com?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I made a profile with approx 300 questions answered and in the beginning no photo. Guess what, 2 liked me already, wow that promises something! I liked some of the profiles but apparently not one of them who liked me in return. Most of the profiles OkCupid did match with me, were completely not according to my wishful partner questions. And every time I logged-in there was a pop-up with a blurred image of somebody who liked me. I made screens of these pop-ups and found out that there was always another photo blurred but my 'liked' button was steady at 3. Therefore it is all fake! I'm so glad I didn't pay for it! It is all scam.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I had signed up for their A List on 08-07-18, purchasing their 6 month program for $59.99. Two days later, I cannot access my account. It is now 09-04-18 and I have yet to receive help after sending feedback sometimes as often as more than once a day. I have sent it directly to their feedback page, to the app developer's email, and even called a phone number that was connected to the charge on my credit card for them. Every single one has been ignored. They will take your money and run with it. I plan on seeing if other people have experienced this and start a class action lawsuit if there are enough of us paying the same lawyer.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I created a profile just for fun, put a brief message and one photo on there, and then forgot to check it again. Suddenly three weeks later, I started getting lots of likes and messages so I checked them. The messages were from women responding to messages I had supposedly sent, and some said "gee thanks for the lecture" so I wonder what the messages were saying in my name. Here's the kicker, though... when I checked my profile OKCupid had changed my photo to an older gentleman and changed the age to 59 (from 42). It also added what looked like computer generated text to my profile while keeping my original text up top. I have no idea what went on there but I immediately shut my profile down. By the way, there were messages from 12 different women that had the exact same message and the service said I had to pay to see them. These guys are a total scam.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Stole my money, stole my personal info, suspended my account. And they did so without any warning! What a violation! These internet companies are way too big and powerful. Apparently this company has an automated system that when someone complains, as many people will when they've been rejected, it automatically suspends the account of the person against whom the complaint was lodged. Then a small team of people use their subjective opinions to determine if the suspension is warranted. In the meantime, no notice or communication is provided to the person against whom the complaint was lodged and no offers to refund their money are made.

So there is no reason for the suspension provided, no opportunity to learn from potential mistakes, and who knows whether there ever actually was a policy violation! Likewise, who knows what they wind up doing with all your private information that you trusted them with in your hopes to find that special someone. Yikes! Get out while you can!!!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I tried this site for several years and initially I met some decent women. But over time it became a bad site; they changed so many features to make it harder to meet people and I then only seemed to meet damaged women. A lot of sexual abuse victims who never tell you their history until you start dating, then the crazy ** starts. At this point I'm done with online dating, as every other site is either very similar or literally impossible to meet someone, based on limitations of site or pricey memberships.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I have to wonder how legitimate this dating site is. If you're interested in another member, you send them a "Like." And if they're interested, they send you one in return. I'm a man and have gotten a number of these Likes from women that I would be interested in. When I send them a Like in return, I don't get a reply. So I have to wonder... Is this something fraudulent that's perpetrated by the dating site to induce their members to stay on the site? If not, then why are these women sending me Likes but not any replies?

Original review: July 28, 2018

I've been on OKC for many years. Got a few dates there. But, in recent months since the powers that be decided to "revamp" the way you contact people, More like "Tinder", the site has gone downhill. And it's gone fast. Almost every Friday night the site would be full of people within 100 miles of me. Tonight there were 14 women on within 100 miles of me.

Now, the way they have it set up, a woman will get thousands of likes before she gets one email. She has to like you back before you can message her. With the thousands of "likes" that a woman gets, if you're a guy, you're out of luck. Many women are not interested in going through thousands of likes just looking for one guy to date.

The site has become pretty useless to both men and women. With the thousands that have left because of the current changes, it's a waste of time to even bother with OKC. Just to clarify, You can write a woman, but she will never know you did unless she likes you back. So, if you are on OKC writing messages, you've probably written a bunch of women that will never know. OKC is a total waste of your time.

Original review: June 29, 2018

This site was ridiculous. 75% were fake profiles of pictures cut out from magazines. It should be shut down. How can they seriously take your money with a straight face? I thought you pay for quality. I paid but I guess that is why it is also free. It is not a dating site. It is a scammer site. The only question I have is why? What is the point for deception on both sides? The business and those who have the fake profiles. Truly laughable!

Original review: June 2, 2018

I have been a member of OKCupid for a long time. But recently, I have been propagated by their constant messages to write to people. I wrote a few messages in kind asking about hobbies and interests and was involved with a few new friends about life and fun things to do. Then I was suspended. I have not lied about my age or details. Unfortunately, they suspended me for no reason. I have been polite and honest about my nature in my profile and messages. I joined OKCupid to make friends, as I did. But they took away my friends by blocking me. I deeply feel remorse and discriminated by OKCupid. For no apparent reason they have subjected me to being suspended.

It is a wide known fact that many dating sites are affiliated with racism within their comprehensive organizations. I feel OKcupid and some other of these dating sites harvest personal data and promote ethnopluralism within society. I have been constantly writing to them to discuss what the reason is they did that, but have not replied at all. Nonetheless, they have electronically been asking for my IP address which they are able to furthermore manipulate within society for the propagation of their biased propaganda within society.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Very questionable. In all ways. The quality of men is not there. In fact the scammers are more polite than the men and the scammers are there by the ton. They are pretty obvious and not quite intelligent due to the fact that their stories are all the same. It obvious as well that their English is poor. Do not send money. Men tend to not read your profile either. Not worth the aggravation. I will stay single.

Original review: May 15, 2018

OKC has over the years, "allowed," scientific research sites to scrape data from profiles. Your profile content, pics, questions, all up for grabs/scraping. That's been reported on. Why would their site "questions" (which they encourage users to answer) and multiple choice answers be designed the way they are? Hm? I wonder. I've used the site for years. Waste of time. For users.

Original review: May 9, 2018

About a week ago, I tried to log in and got an error saying my account was suspended due to a “terms violation”. I have reached out to them twice and no one will respond to my request for an explanation. This is really a load of crap. I’ve been a member for several years, never send nasty emails to anyone, used my own current photos, been honest about my age, etc. Meanwhile, scammers are everywhere on that site. I guess being honest doesn’t pay.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I've been using OkC off and on for over 5 yrs. A couple weeks ago, I suddenly couldn't log in. I requested to change my password, no response. I contacted customer support, no response. Guess I'm never using OkC again.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I hate the new messaging changes. I can't see who I have messaged & who I have liked unless they like me back - so frustrating! I also would like to receive my messages as soon as I get them. I don't want to scroll through endless profiles to find the ones who reached out! So so awful. Probably won't use this site much longer which sucks because OkCupid.com was one of my favorite dating sites till the recent changes. Please go back to the way the messages worked before!!!

Original review: April 4, 2018

I was talking with two guys I really liked a lot then I found out one of them was looking for a sex based relationship & the other who knows what happened to him. I felt like I wasted my money on a six month subscription because I haven’t been able to go on a single date with anyone from this site or eHarmony. I hate the fact that most of the people are only looking for hookups/FWB &/or new friends. What happened to dating leading into marriage?

I also can’t stand the fact when I click anywhere you guys don’t have an option for people living in the United States only. Why? Because I’m not going to date someone in Africa, Asia, or Europe or any other country outside the U.S. I’d recommend any other site other than this one & I want a refund. Sites I’d recommend: Match, Zoosk, Bumble, Tinder, Coffee Meets Bagel, Christian Mingle, Muddy Matches, Christian Connection, Chemistry. Basically anywhere else but here, eHarmony & POF.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I had been messaging with two handsome men. Right before meeting them I gave them my phone number. They both looked very different, yet once on the phone sounded identical! They both said their accent was from Australia. I closed my account and blocked both of their numbers. Beware and be careful!

Original review: March 6, 2018

"Hi, Your account was banned from our site for behavior that violates the OkCupid Terms of Service. Your account and photos have been removed from public view. We consider this matter resolved.". That's all I get from them when I ask OkCupid why they deleted my account that was over 5 years old. I have no idea what they think I did that violated the TOS, and would like to access the thousands of messages I exchanged with users over that period. Even the ironically faceless Facebook has better customer service.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I notice on this particular site lots of people complained about not enough people meeting their criteria in their area... Alas that is how it goes unfortunately and an app is hardly at fault for certain areas of a country not using the app as much as another city or state (province in my case). I met the man of my dreams on OkCupid.com... That is to say I also met A LOT OF FROGS. This app allows upstanding users to moderate and keep their dating community safe by filtering through flags and complaints and basically enough votes to block and remove a person for good from the app because of violent, disrespectful, unsolicited highly sexualized comments (UNSOLICITED l the keyword here).

All in all, the apps questions allow very in depth look into someone who answers honestly, great selection so long as you include to look beyond the 4 walls of your city... And like all dating apps, come the table with skepticism and SAFE online dating practices and know what you're looking for instead of expecting it to just fall in your lap. OkCupid.com is my #1 referral for my friends. It was the only app I used.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I find this site reasonably straightforward. I do not pay money for A list, likes or anything like that. I read the profiles and respond if I think I might like the person or if they seem interesting and they might like me. I am single, live alone, never married. One half of the men on this site who describe themselves as “single” are “separated” (still married) or “single” but living together or in long term relationships. Also, I live in Manhattan and am looking for a NYC guy. Lots of guys say they live here (in their profile) but they actually just visit here from time to time and live in New Jersey, Upstate NY or Long Island. Or they used to live here, were born here or work here. They live 50-150 or even 3,000 miles away. So the problem is mainly with the people, not the site itself.

Also, a lot of really not too attractive men here very hung up on a woman’s age. Honestly, these are unhealthy men who I would not normally date (high blood pressure, diabetic, quite overweight, high cholesterol) who will only date younger girls. They do not have much luck with younger girls and consider my age “old” (although they tell me how attractive I am, nice figure, fun to be with, etc.). Also, few of the men I have dated have ever done so much as buy me a drink. On the 2 occasions this happened the men were all over me like an octopus (1st date and second date).

All in all, not yet met any good matches on this site. However, I do not think that by and large there is any problem with this “free” site except for a lot of the weird guys who post there. Mostly weird matches (they live out of town and/or are not “free”). The other thing I have found a little disturbing is how cheap these so many of the guys who make a lot of money are. I usually pay for my own drinks and food. After a while they want to get cozy. There’s nothing “romantic” about going on expensive Dutch treats with strange, unsuitable men. One date and I’m done.

If it costs me $60 to find out the guy is really not right for me at all, well that is the real “price” of this site. Too cheap, expects sex after one dinner, etc. No dating etiquette at all. And these are men with money. Oh well - I just go to the places I like if the guy wants to go there, fine. If he wants to treat me fine, so long as he does not grope me throughout dinner. Not exactly the most tactful group of daters on this site. Plus, some of them forgot to shave, put on a clean shirt and brush their teeth. Not too well versed in the art of dating, but there are one or two keepers out there for me I am sure, so I keep going out with a man every month or two, if I am in an adventure mood.

Original review: March 5, 2018

They are particularly horrible in deception, choices in my area and have no customer service. They all say "free" with Online dating services. This we know but the blatant deception of it not being free is particularly pronounced. You really don't know that you'll get nothing in the way of "likes" until you pay. It hides this one basic fact along with emails and communication. This is North America and within every claim, there is an embedded lie in every product, service, and hamburger. OkCupid is masterly at this.

The website is clunky and poorly put together. You cannot isolate photos, which is one of the mainstays of this kind of service. The paid for features are basically unknown until you work a drop-down that says "Purchase Lists". Being such an odd description, I passed it but. What is purchasing a list? This is my main problem; they double charged me and I want that reversed and as a matter of my preference, I don't want to engage with this site whatsoever.

My bank alerted to "suspicious activity" with my credit card. This was the way I knew that they even have a faulty charging system. I emailed after looking for a customer service phone number and there was a lie posted; "due to the scammers, we have no phone contact number". IF it is tightly controlled as to charges, there should be a way to establish to whom they are speaking and could have easily set up accounts with a few questions that each customer would only know. I've emailed them —no answer. Again, I was double-charged! MONEY! It is not even a good site for picks in my area. Their questions for your profile are okay but OkCupid is on another dating site and take note, the picks are not good, they might be for your area but I would definitely go with something "more professional".

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

OKCupid is absolutely decrepit. It does not work properly! When I do a search for "Hookups only" on the OKCupid app on my phone, not a single profile of a person who is trying to hook up shows up. When I use it on my PC, the results are entirely different, and I come across plenty of profiles of people looking for a hookup. This makes absolutely no sense! The site/app are either poorly written, poorly maintained, or both. :(

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I was looking for free dating sites and I came across OkCupid.com. When you google OkCupid you will see they advertise as "OkCupid: Free Online Dating".

After I signed up I was not warned that there will be any charges. I saw someone who is interesting to me. I messaged her and as soon as I did the website hid her profile and ask that I purchase an A-List so I can communicate with her. How is this a free online dating? I don't blame OkCupid, I blame people who fall for them. I can see liars advancing in this world.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I joined this site as a non paying member first. I was able to navigate easily, I'm 63 yrs old, very technical, was a businesswoman, I'm classy, was in outside sales, know how to communicate with people well. The site allows you to send messages and receive messages without paying. I've had a few dates, one was good, the other didn't work for both of us, I had a conversation over the phone with another, not a good fit. But so far I'm pleased, I paid for 1 month now, just having some difficulties finding if the auto Renew or downgrade I did turned off the auto renew. I emailed the company about this that I don't want auto renew. How do I see if they are not renewing me, no response back in 2 days.

I do think the company is reasonably priced and can work. People need to pursue what they want. Don't sit around waiting for someone to come to you, respond back quickly if interested. I do not work for this company. Just trying to find someone special to live life with. I'm divorced recently, married for 20 years, well educated, in great shape, well groomed, somewhat attractive, but I go after what I want. So this site can work somewhat.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I actually liked this dating site and was a paid subscriber for nearly 4 years. I mostly used it like an online crossword puzzle, basically I just answered all the dating questions and gave funny explanations to amuse myself. I only had brief conversations (small talk) with a few women and I wasn't seriously trying to make anything happen. Then last year I met someone on there and we clicked immediately and started dating briefly. She broke up with me suddenly to go back to her ex-boyfriend and I wished her well. I saw her back on the site several months later and we started dating again. This time she started having wild mood swings and paranoid jealous rages.

After she cooled down one of the times she informed me that she was schizophrenic and would have persecutorial delusions of me being this cheating type and any little thing I say or do might trigger the delusions. One of the things I had done to trigger her delusions was I had forgotten to disable my OKCupid account when we started dating. This seemed pretty reasonable to me, so I disabled my account in front of her and even offered to show her my brief conversations with other women. I tried to continue dating her despite her mental health issues, but all this same crazy stuff kept coming up over and over in a short span of time and we eventually broke up. So afterwards I decided to go see what was happening on OKCupid.

When I tried to login I kept getting this message that "We’re having technical difficulties, try again later". At first I thought I may have forgotten my password and I tried to do a password reset. I never got a response. Finally, I found this really cheesy technical support form that you can send into them that they mention may or may not get a response. After 2 days I did get the following email back from them:

"You were reported for harassing users. We have reviewed your account history and you have been blacklisted for behavior that violates our Terms of Service. Your account and photos have been removed from public view. We don't issue refunds for accounts that were banned for TOS violations. This was clarified in the Terms and Conditions you agreed to when you joined the site. Here is a link to our Terms and Conditions statement, in case you'd like to review it: **. If you've subscribed with the App Store: Unfortunately, iTunes does not permit us to cancel subscriptions or issue refunds for iTunes payments. Please contact them directly, or follow these instructions to cancel your ongoing subscription: **. We consider this matter resolved."

So apparently I was harassing someone from my completely inactive account. I got no warning, no suspension, no reason other than them saying "You were reported for harassing users". I can only assume that the girl I had been previously dating had reported me for harassment in one of her jealous rages. This is something I definitely think a dating site should take seriously, but they should at least have some kind of proof that the accused person is actually doing something. Or was at least active on their site.

If you would have asked me to review them several weeks ago, I would have given them a very high rating. Unfortunately this is a very unacceptable way to treat any customer. If I would have bothered to read any of the reviews on this site, the BBB, and other similar consumer review/protection publications I would never have given them any money and might not have even signed up for the free service. I hope I save some of you the frustration. They have made me a victim of harassment in the name of protecting people from harassment. I consider this matter resolved.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

OKC before it was purchased by Match.com was a fairly good website and from experience was useful in meeting new people for friendships and relationship but since Match purchased it and have made all these changes the website is absolutely a waste of time. I'll list several examples below: First off about 50% of EVERY profile you see is FAKE! This gets obvious the more you dig in and give it a try. If you like someone and they like you back all of a sudden they completely disappear unless you BOOKMARK them or write them. If you write them a letter and they haven't yet liked you they will never know you wrote them so your letter and your effort goes unnoticed.

In addition if they do like you and you decide to write them a message the chances are about 95% of those messages are not personal whatsoever and the respondent NEVER replies to any questions you may have asked them and my only conclusion is that someone in another country is working these replies because most the time the sentences and grammar are so NON American it's obvious.

Fake likes are all too obvious. Once in a while you'll receive a notification stating that someone has liked you. If you open to see who it is it either takes you to the browsing mode and or it will take you to a profile that has 1 photo of a bird, a dog, a skyline view or someone they know you would never like with absolutely NO summary or bio. This is the way they keep people signing back in so they can appear to have more active users than what there really is. Since OKC was purchased by Match this gave them the right to transfer photos and profile bios from one website to the other. Hence "fake profiles"! Nearly 50% or greater of all the profiles are people who once signed up and or deleted their profile or haven't used it in a very long time. (fake profiles).

OkCupid.com expert review by Mark Brooks

OKCupid.com is a free site that offers members the ability to upgrade their experience by subscribing to a premium membership. Created in 2004, the site serves millions of members through a unique profile format and optional question and answer section.

• Unique profile format: Many dating sites only ask members to tell a little bit about themselves and who they are looking for. OKCupid makes it easier to learn more about prospective dates through open ended profile questions including six things you can't live without, what you are good at, what you are doing with your life, what you like to do on a friday night and more.

• Thousands of optional questions: OKCupid has a unique feature that allows you to answer as many or as few multiple questions on topics ranging from values and relationship goals to personal hygiene and basic math skills. You can then compare your answers to those of people whose profiles you are viewing.

• Advanced search algorithm: Users can choose both physical and value-based attributes to search for, improving the quality of the matches they find. Some criteria are only available via upgraded membership.

• Anonymous email network: Users can email potential matches through OKCupid.com's own messaging service, allowing them to keep their identities and contact info private until they are ready to share it.

• Profiles are screened before being posted: OKCupid.com staff screens profiles and photos before posting to ensure only appropriate information makes it onto the site.

• Best for: People looking for long-term relationships, people looking for short-term relationships, and people looking for a large dating pool.

Profile picture of Mark Brooks
Mark Brooks Online Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.

OkCupid.com Company Information