2.89/5

249 OkCupid.com Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I submitted feedback wondering why they removed the ability to 'rewind' on their "double take" feature, which allows you to go back if you accidentally swipe left on someone. The goal of a dating site should be to make meeting potential partners easier, not harder. I said this and they responded with: "We're so glad you're enjoying our new feature!" Either this was a generic response, or it was a sarcastic jab showing how little they care about customers.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I signed up for three months - and after just a few weeks was told my account had been suspended. For what? I asked. No answer. There is zero customer service and nobody ever gets back to you. They bait you into signing up for the paid service and then cancel you for no reason. I did absolutely nothing to justify being cancelled. I am going to contact the BBB as well as American Express, which I used to pay for the service. In my opinion, this company is a huge rip off!

Get expert buying tips about Online Dating Sites and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 30, 2019

I used OkCupid years ago and there were some decent people on there and I even met a few. Now, a few years later, I decided to try it again after moving to the Montreal\Ottawa area. I signed up and immediately. Had profile after profile of very attractive females in my area appearing in front of me. There were TONS of members in Montreal and Ottawa and in between. I decided to pay for the Premium A-List account so that I could search for the criteria I wanted. Not one profile came up. I was really surprised.

I slowly started to make my search more and more broad and there were still only a handful of members that had been on the site within the last month. It's clearly a scam. When you first enter the site, they show you profiles from people that have probably not used the site in a very long time, but they don't tell you that. I noticed that unlike in the past, there is no way to know when the last date someone logged in. I think this site is dying and they have resorted to desperate measures. Save your money and move on. I asked PayPal for a refund and waiting on their answer.

Original review: July 8, 2019

You can sign up for OkCupid for free. On the free account you'll get lots of likes but to see those likes you have to pay. Once you pay, things slow down to a crawl and you are lucky to get another like. For that matter, OkCupid keeps hitting you up for boosting your rating after you become a member. So the scam is simple. When you are a free member send lots of likes. You pay to see those likes. After you pay the likes stop and now OkCupid keeps asking you to pay (they call it a boost) to get ranked higher so they see your profile. NOT WORTH IT.

Original review: June 3, 2019

This site will FALSELY state that you have (for example) 100 plus likes. This only to FALSELY have you pay them fees to actually see your likes. SURPRISE!! You only have 12-15 likes! Mostly with no photos... But "Thank You for your Credit Card Information and we have falsified your amount likes to take your money"!! Stay away form this crooked dating site at all costs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OkCupid.com?

Original review: May 16, 2019

This is the worst dating site I've ever been on and it's so so overrated that I'm pretty sure people who write positive five star reviews were paid by the company themselves. As soon as you sign up, your account will often be automatically suspended as they "review" it, however, if you don't contact them about it, they'll never restore it. And even if you do, they probably won't restore it either. Even if it's been restored, you're going to be suspended again, again, and again, for literally no reason. This is an exclusive site for a circle of special people that the moderators personally approve of.

If they don't like you, you simply will be rejected, for whatever reason they think of (you'll never know the reason, since there is none actually). They ask a lot of questions, and if they don't like your answers or personal opinion on things, again, you'll get suspended. It will be disguised as "violation of the terms of service". Don't bother using this site, the staff won't help you. It's utterly useless. That's the "democracy" and "equality" they're so proud of promoting.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I only signed up a week ago and got suspended before I even had the chance to do literally anything on there. Tried contacting them about this but they don't reply. Really crappy customer service... Didn't even let me join, for no reason. Doesn't like me I guess? :)

Original review: May 9, 2019

I was a user from Spring of 2017 to February of 2018. Messaging was fine and I really liked the way the site was setup, until the end of 2017 when a change was made so that only with mutual likes can you read another's message. I messaged a girl in February 2017. Unsure if my message went through, confused by the system. I eventually found myself IP banned, and multiple attempts to reach out were met with vague responses or nothing at all. They would just say something happened that violated terms and wouldn't even give a specific reason.

Original review: May 9, 2019

(This is what I emailed OkCupid but the email address didn't work.) This morning my inbox was filled with messages from OkCupid, starting with the usual welcome message you guys send out, followed by a dozen replies to the account set up in the name "Eva". I find it really amazing that someone can set up a fake profile using someone's email, with you not sending a confirmation email requiring a confirmation reply before setting up that account - to ensure it is legitimate. I advise that you do so for security purposes - and that's standard today. I have never used your service nor do I use such websites. I immediately went into the account, used password reset to get the password, and shut down the fraudulent account that was set up with my email address (the one sending this note).

Original review: May 7, 2019

I used OkCupid for about a year. As a man, you really aren't going to find matches until you pay for their subscription (but more on that later). I tried to sign into my account today and a red box kept flashing briefly saying "your account has been suspended due to violation of terms. Contact us if you think this is in error." Not only did I never receive an email or any other communication regarding this suspension, but the red box that flashes is only there for a moment and then disappears. Almost like they want you to not realize why you can't get in.

Ok now the infuriating part. They tell you "contact us," but THERE IS NO CONTACT INFO for them anywhere on their website or help section! I did not violate their terms of service and now I can not find a way to contact them. So in summary, I got suspended for doing nothing wrong, they never notified me I was suspended. And then they send you on a fools errand to "contact" them, knowing that they don't have any contact info listed. Highly Unethical. For anyone else still interested in OkCupid, just know that unless you're a beautiful woman, your profile is not going to get any actual exposure unless you pay for a subscription and "boost."

OkCupid.com expert review by Mark Brooks

OKCupid.com is a free site that offers members the ability to upgrade their experience by subscribing to a premium membership. Created in 2004, the site serves millions of members through a unique profile format and optional question and answer section.

• Unique profile format: Many dating sites only ask members to tell a little bit about themselves and who they are looking for. OKCupid makes it easier to learn more about prospective dates through open ended profile questions including six things you can't live without, what you are good at, what you are doing with your life, what you like to do on a friday night and more.

• Thousands of optional questions: OKCupid has a unique feature that allows you to answer as many or as few multiple questions on topics ranging from values and relationship goals to personal hygiene and basic math skills. You can then compare your answers to those of people whose profiles you are viewing.

• Advanced search algorithm: Users can choose both physical and value-based attributes to search for, improving the quality of the matches they find. Some criteria are only available via upgraded membership.

• Anonymous email network: Users can email potential matches through OKCupid.com's own messaging service, allowing them to keep their identities and contact info private until they are ready to share it.

• Profiles are screened before being posted: OKCupid.com staff screens profiles and photos before posting to ensure only appropriate information makes it onto the site.

• Best for: People looking for long-term relationships, people looking for short-term relationships, and people looking for a large dating pool.

Profile picture of Mark Brooks
Mark Brooks Online Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.

OkCupid.com Company Information