1.62/5
  • 1 star
Based on 30 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 11, 2017

171 OkCupid.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

After I got deleted by OkCupid because of its numerous scammers, I was told by a mod that getting a new email account was the way to get back on it. I tried it and unbelievably it worked. However, today, someone who has nothing better to do at OKC may have put two and two together and deleted it again. Well I'm not trying for a third time, as I think OKC are the worst. There are other better websites such as POF and Oasis and OKC can carry on like 'blind bats' into the future.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

While using OkCupid to find a match I had placed a screening tool as my first profile picture that stated, "Sorry I do not date Republican men because I do not want to date a man who voted for an admitted sexual profiler as our president." To me, anyone that would vote for someone who proudly sexually assaults women and has no problem with that, may sexually assault me as well. OkCupid continuously harassed me about this even though the site claims to find you a compatible mate. Screening a politely party out of my potential dates was to find someone I WAS COMPATIBLE WITH! Yet they allow men to use pictures of penises as profile pictures and send them with absolutely NO PENALTY!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

My experience had been good until recently. I met someone that I thought was a great match, but turned into a nightmare an character deformation. I reported the accusations and false narrative to OkCupid, and submitted my clarification of actual events. Weeks later, I was emailed back stating that their investigation brought them to the conclusion that MY account was terminated due to breaking their ethics and behavior terms. I've never been so humiliated and disgusted! I'm more than disappointed with OkCupid's team!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

My first complaint is the matching system. I took the time to answer 500 match questions. I only answered the questions I considered to be important (like religious views, political views, sexuality, etc.) The matches that were 90% (or higher) were not good matches after all. All of them had at least one deal breaker. The matching system needs work, to say the least. What would help is a way to mark questions as "deal breakers." If someone doesn't answer those questions to your preference, then your match percentage with them goes to 0. The way the matching system is now is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Good luck, you're going to need it.

My second complaint is how unsupervised the accounts are. I found an account that legit said in the self-summary that it was a "phantom account" and he/she was only there to stalk people. I reported this account 5 times in the last two months. OkCupid has yet to take this account down. Who knows how many more of those type of accounts are out there. I don't feel safe using OkCupid. It's too easy to make a fake account and OkCupid doesn't seem to care.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Every man that contacted me on this site were looking for SEXUAL HOOKUP. I complained to OkCupid, but they just let this person continue to POST. I've tried to use this site on 4 occasions, SAME MO, "I have a big ** like ** man, let's meet today." That's all I get and OkCupid don't monitor these predators.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OkCupid.com?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I deleted my account. I was on OK Cupid for a while. I had moved to PA to do lobbying in DC. I met someone years ago. He was from the UK and suddenly he flew in, decided he wanted to stay with me (it was only supposed to be for a vacation), wanted to marry me for a green card and I threw him out of my home. I had no intention of marrying him. He was about 500 lbs and a liar. He tried to fight with my son and tried to cause tension between me, my neighbors, the police. He stole money and broke item I had for year which meant more to me than he. Since he wanted to stay in the US I said, "You pay for room and board, get a job and leave. Live on your own." I think I was very clear I didn't want to be his sugar mommy.

He pissed me off so much one day when I caught him in a lie after I found a job for him I decided to throw him out, changed the locks and put his clothes out on the step. Called ICE since he never renewed his VISA and was here illegally. I moved back to Florida and lived here for a while and decided to go back into politics. I was too busy to look at the IMs I received. I received one message which was extremely close to being crazy and after looking at this insane person's profile I know he was dangerous. I called OK Cupid. They do nothing. Not even check out what was said and what was done. This is what he wrote to me:

"You're not only "deplorable" but, also, pathic. I hope the Trumpeteer teaches you frigging morons a lesson as he does every day. Every time he opens his mouth he insults or calls someone a name. Of course, you're entitled to your opinion but, at least, use your frigging head. How can someone, seemingly, being as educated as you say you are and still think you're right. I "kneel" to your asininity. "

I would be very careful on there. In fact I encourage everyone to leave this site.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

So I've been on OKC since who knows when, like at least 15 or so years & it was always great & everyone loved it since it allowed all different types of people including polyamorous people. Well I hadn't been on it for years & I moved out of the country & when I did (back in 2012), everything changed. I barely got any good matches & fast forward to the last 2 years 2016/17, it's now soooo BAD, that it's right down there with POF. All I do is waste my time blocking & reporting scammers & fake users one after another. And we aren't talking a few of these, I'm talking TONS of these every day vs. the ZERO I used to get years ago.

And the few guys that are on there who are real of course DON'T bother to read anyone's profile, so all I get is the idiot responses like, "Hi, how are you?" or something to do with my looks. Half the time I can't tell if they are one of the scammers or just the moronic guys, although women are just as bad as NOT reading profiles. I just realized about 30 minutes ago that their app doesn't work. I wasted about an hour blocking & deleting TONS of fake users, then I went on to my computer today, & the users' messages were STILL in my inbox so I had to redo everything wasting MORE of my time. I have to take a guess that after Match.com bought them out (I didn't even know until a few weeks ago), everything went to **. NOT GOOD!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

This site has interesting platform, even free membership option and Huge quiz.... But that all is just pretending to look kind of professional. Their matching based on Geographical proximity ONLY. You may have opposite political views, age difference up to 30 years, be religious and non religious - still you both could be matched as little as 75%. Could it be real? There are very few members in your area - maybe 5-7 in a distance of 10 miles. And here are The News: they cancelled option to see - who is visiting your profile. How stupid. Is it professional?

For the site pretending to be Professional in relationships. Do they know - what flirt is? Seems they don't. Then how could they be Professional??? What is left there: you can see if someone liked you, but never know - who it was. Could you go and give a friendly glance in return (exactly how we do in reality) - you can't, you have no idea - who it was. Then what is the sense in such "game". I got their senses - whatever they do - they just make "professional" grimace on their face and push you to spend more and more money. But why should you, if there is no chance for you to see - who might be that one, who picked you! What a creepy place! Should go out of business.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

Met someone on here called Jessicasoblessed. Says she was into older men. Started talking on text. She got my number and texted first. We talked back and forth. She sent some pics. I sent some pics. Then all got quiet until the next day. I get a different text the next day by someone claiming to be her dad. Said he was going to have me thrown in jail because she was underage but he wouldn't if I helped his family and sent him 674.56 via MoneyPak from my local pharmacy.

I knew it was a scam right away. He said he took her phone and deactivated it but when I looked up on the OKC site not only was the person online they had changed the area that they lived in. Even the phones numbers between supposedly hers and his the area codes were way different. One was from South Carolina. The other was from Missouri. I reported the profile to OKC. Nothing yet. They still showing online and sent my evidence of the texts to IC3 so beware of these numbers on OKC 8032306482 and 8162599965. They are scamming on this site.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I complained about no local men to meet, they are all on the East coast or overseas claiming to be ** however it is a ** man instead when you talk on the phone. It was a waste of my money and time, I believe they should reimburse me for the money because of the horrible experience.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

The information OkCupid.com wanted seemed normal but follow-up emails asked too many personal & sex-related questions. This felt like a hook-site, not for relationships.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I was a frequent user of this site for several years, almost daily. I paid the monthly fee for their premium access (A-List). I was a moderator for inappropriate photos. My account was disabled. As others have noted, it is almost impossible to make contact with this company. I have been provided no rationale for their action nor have I been able to discuss the matter with anyone from the company. I still have a recurring charge for their service that will need to be canceled. My actions to date have been to file a complaint with the attorney general for the state of California. I have notified OKCupid of this action and mentioned my next step is to contact an attorney to discuss filing a class action lawsuit. I have yet to hear from OkCupid.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

The site was good - no better or worse than match.com or eHarmony. I met my partner on OkCupid. We weren't a great match according to the profile but we have similar interests and a sense of humor. It just goes to show that there isn't an exact "science" to dating. Meeting face to face is always best.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

OkCupid.com experiences so many scammers, until when their security and customers are paranoid when they see a ** Male, OkCupid deletes the account. I have experienced this three times with OkCupid.com. Of the 25+ online dating sites that I have experienced (research purposes), I experienced very little traffic while on their site, before OKCupid repeatedly deleted my account. They are a low value dating site.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

This is a free dating site but filled with so many scammers. I am contacted about 15 times a day by fake users who tell me they live near me but had to go to Africa for work and then they were robbed and could I send them money so they can get home. I even had one ask for my Address so he could send me a stuffed teddy bear and chocolate covered strawberries before he asked me to send him money.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I've only met 1 person here in OkCupid.com in 5 years; spoke with 1 other by phone. I was told that this one is the least meat market of all the sites; & it does offer more free options than any other I know of. I did get hit with an Eastern European scammer, but I figured it out before any harm occurred. I haven't seen many Women that interested me on the site.

Original review: June 11, 2017

This is the best online dating site I tried, and I tried many over the years. It encourages long profile essays by providing profile sub-headings, and also encourages answering questions, both of which reveal a lot about someone's personality. OKCupid (OKC) provides an algorithm that lets you score how important different questions are to you, which in turn lets you narrow down potential matches. No other website I tried did this.

At this point, their monthly fees are low compared to industry average. Emails from potential scammers (IP address and specified city mismatch, I'm guessing) are flagged with a message warning of funds transfers. There are many users using OKC world-wide which means that there are many people to contact on a daily basis. Wish list: more transparent algorithm, return to client-authored-questions, being able to see a full list of matches as it appears that only a subset is shown at any one time (I believe this limitation is only in part due to some users wishing to only be displayed in match results while online). I'm a paying member of OKCupid, but occasionally use it as a free user.

Original review: June 2, 2017

I spent days answering all their questions as truthfully & honestly as I could. I even went over questions I wasn't sure of a second time. I made it quite clear that I only found fit, athletic, slender people like myself attractive & feel any chemistry for... Of course I also find a good sense of humor & intellect important too. I'm very wealthy & material things mean nothing to me. I just want an honest, loyal, long term relationship with someone I'm attracted to. According to OkCupid this is an impossible task. All I was shown were stout, unfit, fat & overweight women with no information about their education or any level of attainment. What a complete waste of time. OkCupid should pay you for answering thousands of questions & DOING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WITH THEM!

Original review: May 7, 2017

Sav at ** took it upon himself to delete my account because I put him on notice about the number of scammers I was meeting. Some that I had blocked were removed by OKC but he realised it was a losing battle for him so to cut off his nose to spite his face, he removed me from the site... What a LOSER is Sav. Justin followed suit to back him up...even the input of a moderator who lives in RI and who supported my side of the fence did nothing for them to reinstate my account. This site is full of scammers in my opinion, possibly run by scammers as a tight ship...a bit like the Black Pearl in Pirates of the Caribbean. Woe to Sav. To all those who work at OKC... doomsday is near for you all.

Original review: May 7, 2017

The Good: I loved the idea of "match percentages" and that I could browse invisibly. The price seemed reasonable, and I got a fair number of Likes and messages. I did chat with about 5 real people, with no success. The Bad: Catfishers. Everywhere. It was a total disappointment. If you must waste your time and money there, or if you've already signed up, let me give you some tips.

1) If a person answers exactly 15 questions (it must be the minimum for a match), even if they write a decent profile, they're probably not who they say they are. I noticed this many times. 2) If they ask you to "exchange contacts" (what American says that?) so they can get your email or phone number, ignore the request and block them. 3) If they're "away on business" or deployed, they are not real. They want your 'contacts' and/or your money. 4) If they text or call you at odd hours, even if you specify 'locals only', it's clear they don't know what time it is in your city; report them as a fake profile. Eventually, I dumped my membership like a hot rock. NOT WORTH YOUR TIME OR MONEY.

Original review: May 1, 2017

I was going on this website to find me a soul mate. Nightmare that keeps going and going. I have been away from Robert ** of Arnold since August. He had me arrested not 1 not 2 but 3 times. He said I was a nut. Well he was married and still is and would not get a divorce. They need to have a person to verify the information and tell a married man that he should think twice about doing this because he only had 25% chance of a relationship to workout. He freakin put a restraining order on me. I am supposed to be the one who gets punished. Well if someone does a search on him will find this. I say run run run like hell. Because he had a person with a disability since she was 7 years old. Thrown in jail 3 times. He is considered dangerous.

Original review: April 22, 2017

I was on the site for about 3 months and made some contacts then suddenly started getting error messages and found out my account was suspended but for no reason. Then several months later I opened another profile and again after 3 months it was suspended again for no reason. I had spoken with a guy who was on the site and the same thing happened to him. He claims if you don't upgrade to a paying membership within 3 months they suspend your account without warning so if you're in contact with someone you lose out. Total scumbags running that site!!!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2017

Just like with everything else, this website must be approached with caution. I HAVE actually met and dated real men from the site. It's not the website's fault that people are liars, cheaters, and scammers. One guy I met was an alcoholic who couldn't keep a job and was trying to get over a long-term girlfriend who had dumped him. He was charming and highly functional. For a couple of months.

Another was bisexual. We dated for maybe two or three months and then he had some kind of meltdown because I didn't have sex with him on a date. I told him I didn't want to see him anymore. I found out he was bisexual later, when a male friend (who is gay) ran across the guy I'd dated when he (my friend) responded to a craigslist ad. I began to do some digging and saw that the guy had ads posted on several sites on the internet, posting for sexual contact with other males. And he used the SAME online name (and photos) on all the sites. Frightening because he had two minor children living at home that I suspected he'd taken from their mom in the divorce by coercion.

In another instance, I went on one date with a guy. Totally legit on paper. Self-made business owner. Not bad looking but short (which he was honest about in his profile). Jeans and a polo-style shirt but expensive material. Lunch at a fairly ritzy restaurant. He drove me back to my car in his expensive car. Cool... The next day he texted me, asking if I wanted to come over to snuggle and watch a movie. Not cool.

The most recent guy I met on the site has become a good friend. We e-mailed on OKC for several months then he decided he was getting off because he was having no luck and he said he was tired of seeing all the weapons and naked pics. He lives several hours away and we e-mail frequently. Nothing romantic, just good-friend stuff about our lives.

Like others have mentioned, I have had a few issues with the "moderators" and the site in general. Currently I'm having a problem changing my e-mail address. In the past, I received an e-mail about photos I had posted. But I knew who did it and why. A guy I had been e-mailing with who seemed cool requested my phone number. During our one conversation, he began making bigoted comments about the LGBT community. That was unacceptable to me and I told him so. He got mad and began ranting and raving. I told him I no longer wanted to continue the conversation. After I ended the call, I blocked him online and on my phone. A few days later, I got the e-mail about my photos.

In the years that I've been doing online dating, OKC has been the least active for me in terms of actually meeting people in person but again, it's not the site's fault. I am and have always been a free member so I can't speak on the comments I've seen about monetary issues. My advice to everyone is to proceed with caution and use common sense when dealing with anyone you meet online.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

I have been on this dating site for about three years. At least half of the profiles are trashy. Men do not even complete their profiles nor answer the questions. Photos of men and women are ugly. The site is not checked by professional nor ethical people, and they do not even answer complaints nor reports. In other words it is one of the worst I have been on. Half of candidates, at least, are fake profiles and con artists. I spent most of my time reporting men for fake photos, locations etc... It has been hacked and infiltrated by a lot of people from Africa who are "gold diggers", by travelers who work out there in the world and whose address is vague. Registering with OkCupid is a total waste of time and you will be sorry for your experience.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

This site seems to be launched to screw people, out of around 100 so called 'top recommended matches' I only found 1 person which really exists, all other guys went into excuses when it came to set up video chats, one hacked my email account and others tried to get money after a couple of phone calls. 98% fake profiles.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

I believe there are a few moderators on this site that stop me from receiving my messages. I'm probably the best looking guy on the whole site. I get endless amounts of messages from females, but the moment the same moderator/moderators spot me, the messaging spree stops abruptly. I've gotten a bunch of numbers on this site. I've spoken to numerous women. So I know it's not 100% BS. I do believe everyone has their own experience. As for the other guy stating this company was created by Match.com, he's probably right. Most of these websites should just call themselves back page and put up an ad. I could go on with this rant, but I'd much rather file a review with the BBB.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

It is a free dating website and the questions asked and the ability to form an idea of the people that participate is well organized. The photos are easy because you can enlarge them. Unfortunately the subscribers come from a vast area in the US as well as from other countries in the world so your chance of finding someone close to where you live are slim.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2016

OKC has proven to be 50% porn site with 50% of the available profile to me being porn bots and 10% of those actually having links to porn sites. When I complained to OKC about this they pushed it off onto to me stating that "I" have a scammer problem and that "I" needed to block these people. Well I guess "I" don't need to use this site.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2016

I paid to join their Premium Service and sent out over 600 emails and got 3 responses. As a reference, I am on other sites where I received 5-10 emails a week. When you join their A-list, you get to see " Who Liked You" and over the 30 day period, I received a total of 4 likes. Well, my 1 month subscription ended yesterday, and within 8 hours I miraculously received a total of 10 more likes... Yes, over 30 days I received 4, but after my subscription ended, somehow I received 10 more. I am 99% sure OKC does this purposely so they can bait you to join, but save your time and money - this site is a total scam - especially the pay service.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2016

I've been on OKC for around 6 month and had around 100 "recommended match" contacts, had several phone contacts, one over 2 months, only 1 of seem was a real guy - We had a skype chat, everyone else turned out to be a scam. It's always the same story, widowed or divorced father, inaccessible as an offshore rig engineer, no chance to video chat, after a while suddenly accident or serious sickness of child and financial trouble. One of the contacts send me an email with a link to "wordpress" to find his pics. After that my email account was hacked. Another one wanted me to send him money to buy an Apple MacBook Air. Hahaha. I wonder if they are using my profile now to screw other people. I'm sure all the pics on the fake profiles had been "stolen" from unsuspecting users before. Is there any chance to find out if they are using my details now as a fake account?

OkCupid.com expert review by Mark Brooks

OKCupid.com is a free site that offers members the ability to upgrade their experience by subscribing to a premium membership. Created in 2004, the site serves millions of members through a unique profile format and optional question and answer section.

• Unique profile format: Many dating sites only ask members to tell a little bit about themselves and who they are looking for. OKCupid makes it easier to learn more about prospective dates through open ended profile questions including six things you can't live without, what you are good at, what you are doing with your life, what you like to do on a friday night and more.

• Thousands of optional questions: OKCupid has a unique feature that allows you to answer as many or as few multiple questions on topics ranging from values and relationship goals to personal hygiene and basic math skills. You can then compare your answers to those of people whose profiles you are viewing.

• Advanced search algorithm: Users can choose both physical and value-based attributes to search for, improving the quality of the matches they find. Some criteria are only available via upgraded membership.

• Anonymous email network: Users can email potential matches through OKCupid.com's own messaging service, allowing them to keep their identities and contact info private until they are ready to share it.

• Profiles are screened before being posted: OKCupid.com staff screens profiles and photos before posting to ensure only appropriate information makes it onto the site.

• Best for: People looking for long-term relationships, people looking for short-term relationships, and people looking for a large dating pool.

Profile picture of Mark Brooks
Mark Brooks

Online Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.

OkCupid.com Company Information