3.9/5 (355 ratings)
Find an Online Dating Sites partner
Banner image

Single? Frustrated with online dating?

Take back control of your love life now with LoveAndMatchmaking

Get Started

About OkCupid.com

Banner image

Single? Frustrated with online dating?

Take back control of your love life now with LoveAndMatchmaking

Get Started

OkCupid.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OkCupid.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about OkCupid.com?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

OKC used to be a decent dating site, with a reasonable price to use and decent algorithms for matching you with people of interest. Those days are LONG gone!! It's now utter garbage. You get inundated with likes by foreign women and you have no way to filter them out, so you get a daily swarm of mail-order-bride-wannabes.

OKCupid uses these "likes" to get you to sign up for a membership, then you find out that they're just crap after you do, which is ridiculous given the service is now $50/month and it sucks. If you have any sort of parameters set up for matches within your region, the pool is VERY small, so you basically have nothing to choose from one you pass on the first round of matches. Over a month's time I was a member I think I had maybe four or five new matches come through after I culled the chaff that was the first round. Don't waste your money or time using OKC, it's awful.

Original review: July 25, 2022

I took their 50% offer and bought 1 month for $25. If you are looking to throw money away, this is one place to do it. Like most dating apps, you have to pay them if you want to see who likes you. So who liked me? Kenya. Somalia. Philippines, Thailand. Indonesia but not a single person from the US, much less from Colorado where I live. The day after I paid to subscribe, their customer pool dried up and never came back. You're lucky if 2 or 3 new ones pop up daily. This website/service is a terrible and total waste of money. Give your money to a homeless person instead. It's a rotten company and rotten service.

Get buying tips about Online Dating Sites and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 24, 2022

Someone hacked my account, stole my info and photos and OkCupid has done nothing about it! I responded to the email they sent saying my email had changed. It took days for them to respond and when they did they asked for a reference number that was already in the email I had just sent them! I responded with the number requested days ago and they still have not responded. This is such a violating feeling! Violation of my privacy!

Original review: June 20, 2022

Many Americans live WITHIN 100 miles or much less of international borders. The algorithm this company uses for matches does not recognize borders for matching and recommendations, even if requested. Especially during COVID this glaring omission in selecting parameters rendered it a waste of money for northern and southern U.S. denizens. They will not refund unhappy users getting "matches" primarily from another country. Boo for not correcting this or offering refunds. Not customer advocates.

Original review: June 15, 2022

OkCupid, when it first came out actually used to be a very reasonably priced site. It wasn't even as much about memberships and things like that, but I noticed these past few years their membership prices are about just as much as Match.com and Eharmony sites. The interface is getting worse and worse. Most of the profiles look VERY phony. I've been contacted more than four or five times by someone using fake pictures (just literally did Google image searches on them and realized pictures were fake). This site is terrible.

Another thing is I see countless profiles saying "Hi I DON'T have a membership so I can't see likes or send messages"...I mean come on OKCupid, get it together. If people are putting that in their profile make some kind of obligation to either separate non-paying members to have a section for paying members or premium members for ease of contact and communication. It makes it extremely difficult as a premium paying member that the other person cant contact me or even see my like or message because they aren't a premium member. It's RIDICULOUS and it actually makes your site very not user-friendly.

Also, I feel like the site is supporting one side more than the other. Even though I don't have a problem with the LGBTQ community or anything like that, I feel like the site is very prominent with this group of individuals so it makes it very difficult to find someone who might share my beliefs or foundation in a heterosexual monogamous relationship. Seeing a lot of sarcastic or mocky profiles about this is very tasteless and having to sift through multiple polys, bi, asexual, or "couple" profiles shouldn't have to be.

I mean you need to either change your element to suit that type of group of people and make this dating site specifically geared towards that community altogether. State that somewhere in your handle just like sites that actually state they are specifically for gays or transexuals or people who might have disabilities or a friend/hangout site...etc... I feel like there are barely any people on there that are real or searching for anything remotely serious...

Original review: June 12, 2022

I used to be a member and even was a paid subscriber for a month in the past before closing down the account. I recently opened a new account simply looking for a FRIEND, not necessarily a relationship. Within a day I received @ 25 likes, and within a few days it was more than double that amount. The problem is when I clicked on the "Discover" button to find matches, less than 10 profiles showed up. How do I receive that many "likes" but not that many matches. So out of my suspicion that OKC is a huge fraud, I "liked" all 10 of those profiles back, and NONE was a match. I've come to the conclusion that OK Cupid creates FAKE "LIKES" and/or those "Likes" are coming from overseas, which are most likely scammers.

Original review: April 13, 2022

Where to begin. In short, OkCupid sucks badly, stay away from giving them your money, it doesn't worth it, AT ALL! I feel ripped off, their tactics feels like a scam, just to fill their pockets. They don't want you to find anyone, they only want to keep you around for your money, use you. I mean DUH, why would they really care if you're happy in life?

At some point I got like over 200 likes, and finally gave in because of my curiosity, and because of the pathetic discovery section, which seems to be always empty (only like 5- 10 offers every day), if you're on there everyday searching for your woman. OR sometimes it seems to reset, and you'll get a whole bunch and can swipe for hours, but those profiles you already had swiped left on anyways, so no new women, just wasting time!!

So I paid for one month, and there you go, most of those likes came from Kenya Africa, only like 20 in my area, but after cleaning them all out, I ended up with only - 1 - like left I was considering to contact. When I did, I got a reply, that she liked me like 2 years ago, and it didn't go nowhere anyways. So obviously OkCupid is holding hostage of the women who like you. If you never pay, you'll never see all of the real woman in your area who likes you, or their intro... (But this doesn't mean you should pay to see those likes, don't do it, trust me, I doubt the feeling will be mutual, unless you don't care and go for ANY woman)

Also you don't really get anything else than just being able to see who (fake) likes you. Ok, you can scroll through questions you didn't answer yet, but I'm not bored to check this section out (since it sucks so much that they took away the ability to search certain answers to questions you're only interested in. Did you ever try to scroll through hundreds of answers? Are you bored?). You still have to pay extra, ding ding ding, for Boost, and (new) additional super likes, etc...

So in that one month of membership, I'm still single, neither did I make out with someone. I only got to like like 3 women because of the lag of choices in discoveries, no one matched back, just crickets... Also, the actual reason I had to sign up on here, and write a review is, that in that one month my like inbox only got 3 new likes, but as soon my membership ended, and I couldn't check my likes anymore, I got at day 1 already 25 new likes!! Day 2 it raised to 42 likes, and today, day 3, I got already 65 likes, no wait 67 now!!! But they can kiss my sweet ***, never going to sign up again, rather throw my money into the fire pit.

Other reasons OkCupid sucks hard: When they changed their nice old system to the same swipe like Tinder crap. I wish I never had gotten single again. I remember the days when I was able to scroll threw all the profiles in one overview. Beforehand I could set my filters, and only got those shown. Also I was hiding each profile I didn't want to see anymore, so at some point I really got to see only new members, or the ones I didn't contact yet. But these days, it's just broken. For example my max height looking for set to max 5'7, distance max 25 miles, but in the discovery section they show you everything. Women 7' tall, hundreds of miles away, what a freaking waste of my time having to swipe through all of them!

Also as already mentioned, you can't search for answers no more. It just sucks, I should just delete my profile, but it's hard to give up hope, so here I am, still wasting my time on there, but at least for free because a membership does not give you any REAL advantages! I really hope I could help you a little by the choice to rather saving your money, and spent it elsewhere!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2022

I've used this app several times and sympathize with those who found it unpleasant, even disturbing. Sometimes the app is unable to differentiate between gender preferences and other essential preferences, such as drug use. It has been charged with "experimenting" on users rather than concentrating on best practices for providing positive experiences. The first feature users have probably noticed is the oddly vulgar, somewhat graphic, or meanly sarcastic representations of different types of relationships. The questionnaires are meant to gamify rather than add value.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2021

This company owns several dating sites. All of them the same. Overpriced, and trick you into paying for a membership only to limit your search and hide you from others and hide others from you. They drag you along to keep you paying. They started only showing me people just outside of my set age preference range of 38-58, and then once I paid, there was NOBODY within my age range...and they would only show me people if I changed my preference from within 500 miles range to anywhere in the world. They are a bunch of crooks and they should be shut down for false advertisement and unfair business practices! Buyer beware!!!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

This app is a strong reminder and lesson that dating apps are a horrible idea. I have tried many dating apps, only to be disappointed with what I can only assume are fake profiles. I paid for this app, knowing nothing may come from it so I'm not that upset about the money. But I hope my review will help someone avoid wasting their time and money. I deleted my account.

OkCupid.com author review by Mark Brooks

OKCupid.com is a free site that offers members the ability to upgrade their experience by subscribing to a premium membership. Created in 2004, the site serves millions of members through a unique profile format and optional question and answer section.

• Unique profile format: Many dating sites only ask members to tell a little bit about themselves and who they are looking for. OKCupid makes it easier to learn more about prospective dates through open ended profile questions including six things you can't live without, what you are good at, what you are doing with your life, what you like to do on a friday night and more.

• Thousands of optional questions: OKCupid has a unique feature that allows you to answer as many or as few multiple questions on topics ranging from values and relationship goals to personal hygiene and basic math skills. You can then compare your answers to those of people whose profiles you are viewing.

• Advanced search algorithm: Users can choose both physical and value-based attributes to search for, improving the quality of the matches they find. Some criteria are only available via upgraded membership.

• Anonymous email network: Users can email potential matches through OKCupid.com's own messaging service, allowing them to keep their identities and contact info private until they are ready to share it.

• Profiles are screened before being posted: OKCupid.com staff screens profiles and photos before posting to ensure only appropriate information makes it onto the site.

by Mark Brooks Online Dating & Matchmaking Advisor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.

OkCupid.com Company Information