Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.78/5

OkCupid.com Reviews

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I started using OKCupid when I was 63. It was recommended by a woman I met through another site. I was attracted to it because it is free, which seems to greatly increase the number of people using it. I live about 60 miles from a major metro area and 10 miles from a medium city. I created a detailed profile, answered hundreds of their questions and added explanations to many of them. I posted several photos. I was surprised and pleased at how many women I heard from, met in person, and went out with, not only the numbers but their suitability as potential partners. I heeded the site's match rating, and found that it was an excellent gauge of likely compatibility. With one or two exceptions, the ~40 women I met through OKC and went out with in a bit over 3 years were great companions and many remain friends. I found an exceptional one who lived nearby, and we have been living together blissfully for five years.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

The date game online is a wonderful experience for me. It is good for my ego as well as it lets me make good friends if not for a relationship. It is fun for me and the people that you can hit up and chat with from anywhere in the world is amazing. I love the fact that you can delete as well as connect. Wonderful, and very exciting to me, I am a people person, so it is so right for me.

Get expert buying tips about Online Dating Sites and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

Little did I know 4 yrs ago my love life would transform into where it is now, present day. In 2 weeks from the moment as I'm writing this, I will marry the love of my universe in whom I met from the ok cupid app. Within the first week of conversing on ok cupid we scheduled our first date. Since the first date went well, we then scheduled a 2nd. I knew I had fell completely in love and admired every part of her soul and being. Ok Cupid was perfect with our match!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

Following a divorce, I found myself trying to date again but with absolutely no experience online dating. When I got married and exited the singles scene, most online “dating” sites were just hook up sites and kind of something people kept to themselves. Tried Tinder but thought it was silly. Tried Match and found it to be people just hooking up.

I read an article on The Drudge Report around this time reporting that a new dating site (i.e., OkCupid) that allowed premium members to sort potential mates by weight. I never paid for a premium membership and never used the function, but it got me to the app where I met my wonderful wife of five years. We have in that time spawned a wonderful two year old son. On our 2nd anniversary, we contacted OkCupid and asked if they had our old chat transcripts (we both had long since deleted our accounts). An OkCupid rep emailed the transcripts to us and we spent that evening on the porch drinking fancy IPAs and laughing and loving. That’s our story.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Compared to other dating sites, I think OkCupid has the greatest potential of all of them, even if it's only a LITTLE better. There ARE real humans on it who DO actually message you, and you DON'T need to pay for a subscription to use it. Unfortunately, there aren't that many people using OkCupid, so keep that in mind. It probably only has a tenth of the population that other dating sites have, and the majority of the users are ** or ** people. Not many Asians, but there are some. I've used OkCupid on and off for a few months, with and without paid subscriptions, and I did get a few real, human people responding (but less than a dozen in total). The entire site works off of a "DoubleTake" system, which is completely free. Paying doesn't even influence the system in any beneficial way for you. (I even think that paying makes your matches WORSE.)

Paying for a subscription basically gives you two benefits: You get thrown to the top of the matches list for an hour or so everyday when other users go through DoubleTake, and you can see one-sided likes from other users (like in Tinder), which is really not all that meaningful anyway because of how DoubleTake works. The DoubleTake system is basically the same thing as Tinder's swipe system, except that you can send your likes messages (if you view their profile and send them). Your messages show up as part of YOUR profile when the person you liked comes across you in DoubleTake.

If you're looking for a genuinely FREE dating site that DOES work and you have the patience to sift through totally random matches, try OkCupid. You don't need to pay for it, and honestly, I don't recommend doing so since you won't gain much out of it anyway. OkCupid's probably the only site out there that doesn't gate people from sending messages.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OkCupid.com?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Free!! Pfffft!! You can join for free, but you cannot communicate with anyone until you start paying and that's limited. Then, you can pay more and get BOOST! Wow. These people run a business like a carnival barker. Stay away!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I took sometime away from OkC. After 18 months I attempted to login only to find out my account had been suspended. Emails went unreplied to. Instead they prefer to take the stance of "if you don't know what you did, we're not going to tell you." A wonderful customer service stance. I was a paying member for years. Met some nice people. Some relationships last a while (hence my time away from the site) and others were one off dates. Nothing terrible ever happened. They are not a transparent company. Apparently, it doesn't take much for them to drop the hammer and they refuse to be accountable.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I live between two metro areas, OKCupid Dating has exhausted matches for me after three days of a paid membership. I keep getting a, "We're sorry we seem to be low on matches" message. I contacted OKCupid and the reply I received told me to reset my matches I had passed on. Why would anyone want to see matches that they already vetted. In my opinion OKCupid was a total waste of MONEY!!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

It ıs very big trash company that tried to defraud me. Stole my money and also they cancelled my premium account. I need help and they said, "Okay we start refund process of your money." Gave me a fake refund number, I asked my bank. They said there is no refund process from OkCupid. Also they don't care about my mail.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

I use the OKcupid app for a couple of months now. A few hits but not one who is talking back. And when you’re not a paying user you will get likes a lot but of course you can’t see them. You need to pay. Every time I take a payment for a month the likes are gone. 2 days ago I paid for the third time for a month and what happened? You’ve guessed right, no more likes. Not recommendable this app.

Is your car out of warranty?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right extended auto warranty for you.

OkCupid.com expert review by Mark Brooks

OKCupid.com is a free site that offers members the ability to upgrade their experience by subscribing to a premium membership. Created in 2004, the site serves millions of members through a unique profile format and optional question and answer section.

• Unique profile format: Many dating sites only ask members to tell a little bit about themselves and who they are looking for. OKCupid makes it easier to learn more about prospective dates through open ended profile questions including six things you can't live without, what you are good at, what you are doing with your life, what you like to do on a friday night and more.

• Thousands of optional questions: OKCupid has a unique feature that allows you to answer as many or as few multiple questions on topics ranging from values and relationship goals to personal hygiene and basic math skills. You can then compare your answers to those of people whose profiles you are viewing.

• Advanced search algorithm: Users can choose both physical and value-based attributes to search for, improving the quality of the matches they find. Some criteria are only available via upgraded membership.

• Anonymous email network: Users can email potential matches through OKCupid.com's own messaging service, allowing them to keep their identities and contact info private until they are ready to share it.

• Profiles are screened before being posted: OKCupid.com staff screens profiles and photos before posting to ensure only appropriate information makes it onto the site.

• Best for: People looking for long-term relationships, people looking for short-term relationships, and people looking for a large dating pool.

by Mark Brooks Online Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.

OkCupid.com Company Information