1.27/5
Are you this business? Claim your page

231 OkCupid.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 13, 2019

The woman has all the power to read or not read your message. Women can send males messages but they won't see men's messages unless they want to. The women on this website know they have the power and they abuse it by treating the men like crap. Also if a woman don't like a man for whatever reason all she has to do is make a false report (true or not) and the man will be kicked off/banned from the site.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Compared to other dating sites, I think OkCupid has the greatest potential of all of them, even if it's only a LITTLE better. There ARE real humans on it who DO actually message you, and you DON'T need to pay for a subscription to use it. Unfortunately, there aren't that many people using OkCupid, so keep that in mind. It probably only has a tenth of the population that other dating sites have, and the majority of the users are ** or ** people. Not many Asians, but there are some. I've used OkCupid on and off for a few months, with and without paid subscriptions, and I did get a few real, human people responding (but less than a dozen in total). The entire site works off of a "DoubleTake" system, which is completely free. Paying doesn't even influence the system in any beneficial way for you. (I even think that paying makes your matches WORSE.)

Paying for a subscription basically gives you two benefits: You get thrown to the top of the matches list for an hour or so everyday when other users go through DoubleTake, and you can see one-sided likes from other users (like in Tinder), which is really not all that meaningful anyway because of how DoubleTake works. The DoubleTake system is basically the same thing as Tinder's swipe system, except that you can send your likes messages (if you view their profile and send them). Your messages show up as part of YOUR profile when the person you liked comes across you in DoubleTake.

If you're looking for a genuinely FREE dating site that DOES work and you have the patience to sift through totally random matches, try OkCupid. You don't need to pay for it, and honestly, I don't recommend doing so since you won't gain much out of it anyway. OkCupid's probably the only site out there that doesn't gate people from sending messages.

Get expert buying tips about Online Dating Sites and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 4, 2019

First, I re-opened an account I made a couple years ago. It went fine, I started updating all my information and put a lot of effort and thought into filling it out. Within' 24 hours I could not access my account because of "terms violations" according to the message I received when attempting with an additional "contact us if you think this is a mistake", with no link to a contact page and no link ANYWHERE on their site to contact them. Luckily, I remembered having this issue years ago, the first time I signed up and filled out my information and being furious, so I went through my e-mail and found the support@okcupid.com address and the e-mail from the last time this happened. I contacted them and over 24 hours later, they finally responded with a copy and paste of the message they gave me before. Which basically said they didn't know why this had happened but my account was accessible now.

During the 24 hours I was locked out I attempted to sign up from Facebook and start over, although I was very aggravated at this time. I had one technical error after another and was never able to log in or sign up (so I thought) using the Facebook method. Later I received the message my original account was accessible, so I went to my Facebook and found the app and disconnected it from my information.

Here's where it gets REALLY RIDICULOUS. I started getting e-mails from the e-mail connected to my Facebook, from OKCUPID. Yet, any time I went to the website and attempted to log in to the account, it told me there was a technical error and to try again later. Their website was down for two hours that day and when it came back up, I was already logged into my account (so I thought) when I typed the address in. It appeared that all the information I filled out had been deleted, I began filling it out again, very angry and sent them a message about it. Then I logged out of the account and tried to log back in, realizing that perhaps it had me logged into the account that was connected to Facebook that I'd never been able to log into.

Upon logging in using my original information, I saw that my profile was filled out, so it HAD been the account connected to Facebook. SO, very frustrated over all my wasted time and all this effort and mess, I logged out and attempted to get back into the Facebook connected account to delete it... only to receive the technical error I HAD ALWAYS RECEIVED when attempting to log into that account.

They stole my face and my name and my information and have made it impossible for me to access this account to delete it. The only time I was on that profile, was when they had me auto-logged into it after their site was down and at that time I thought it was the original, as that is THE ONLY ACCOUNT I HAVE EVER BEEN ABLE TO ACCESS FROM THE LOGIN PAGE.

Essentially, not only did they ** me around and waste my time, they have stolen my identity and refused me access to remove it from their website. I contacted them many times over the last 48 hours demanding 1. my money refunded for the original account, as I had just PAID THEM MONEY and within' 24 hours was furious and wanted my money back. And 2. That they remove this profile they are denying me access to with my face and my name and my information from their website or to fix this "technical error" and let me do it myself. They have ignored me, I am yet to receive a response and I am furious, this is essentially identity theft.

Original review: March 1, 2019

Joined this out of curiosity. It is definitely not free and I have a suspicion the ones messaging you are employed by them. All have a similar profile and are definitely too good to be true. I was barred from messaging someone unless I paid. Surprisingly they claimed they were in a few miles of me and I only had to subscribe. Total scam and sorry but I wasnt buying into it. Would rather stay single than hand my cash to scammers like that. Sent an email complaining and surprise I am blocked lol. Zero stars for them should be an option x.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

While I met a couple decent guys on this site with whom I would like to maintain a friendship or more, it was a decidedly lopsided experience. I wade through more cringe worthy profiles or guys just not compatible with me than I care to admit on the way to those 2 guys. While OkCupid cannot be held responsible for the failings of members (who should theoretically be mature enough to be responsible for themselves at age 18 plus), they let a couple creeps keep opening new accounts after being repeatedly banned. And the creeps kept coming back to message me again after I said no to them.

OkCupid did not take the hint and ban an IP address or whatever would keep that kind of weirdo off. I also question whatever algorithm OkCupid uses because I’ve met a few guys who, according to algorithm, are 90% plus “matches” or “friends” and 10 percent or less “enemy”...but when I met them, it was clear within an hour they were not compatible with me (though they weren’t necessarily bad people).

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OkCupid.com?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Was a member for over a decade, severely disinclined to obtain a paid 'A-List; subscription - and like so many OTHER sites, Match.com gobbled it up to completely destroy any value once had. Have watch the site RAPIDLY decline, sent at least a half-dozen complaints, including their failure to restore my original profile to single-space format these past 1-2 years but, the final insult was expecting me to scroll through over 300 Match questions after capriciously eliminating categories by which those were sorted - went OFF on them, and they (perhaps mercifully) suspended my account...really, REALLY wish someone can come in to fill what will INEVITABLY be the void left by a RELENTLESSLY cash-grubbing, unbelievably shortsighted (no, IDIOTIC) set of owners before TOO much longer - as this leaves Plenty of Fish as the ONLY truly free dating site left, and it's got a whole DIFFERENT bunch of problems for users.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I was an OkCupid user for several years, going on and off as I met people and dated. Never had any issues with policies until randomly I tried to log in 3 weeks ago and it said my profile was suspended and if I felt this was done in error to contact them. There is literally no way to contact them without a profile, so I was forced to create a new profile and go to the help options. After finding where to write them, I explained how I believe there was a mix up and please unsuspend my account. They never responded. A week later I wrote again, stating it’s been over a week and I’m still locked out by error. Then they responded and said I was suspended for a picture that was posted. Knowing all of my pictures met the guidelines I went to the help menu again and told them there’s no way, and to please recheck. No response. Wrote again after the 2nd week passed. No response.

Now the 3rd week has passed and still nothing AND the other profile I created is suspended as well. For some reason they don’t want real people with real photos on their app. All of the half-naked women and men seem to stay or people with no pics at all, but a real life person using their app to actually date and get to know people they suspend. It just doesn’t make sense. I am very upset about this as I formed friendships and started getting to know others and now have no way to contact them. I refuse to create another profile, I want my profile back that I created in 2012... So needless to say I will now be finding another dating app to use.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Tried it for over a year, met several women but 1 out of 20 was like she described herself. Still, didn't blame OKCupid. However, I do blame them for removing my account for no good reason. Honest, always a gentleman and very careful to abide by the rules, I can only think it might have been a racial issue. I'm brown skinned multi-racial and searched and liked women of all races and colors. However, in the section where you see a photo and decide whether you'd might like to meet or not, they kept showing me mostly ** women. Maybe I'm wrong, but they still removed my account for no good reason.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I am an educated single man 61 years old. After being on OkCupid.com for months had no luck... After all, my account has been suspended for being too honest. I think I gave them a hard time, recognizing the fake accounts. I spent more time flagging fake profile pictures than looking for a soulmate. The only benefit this site had for me, getting advertisement from match.com and other dating site in my Facebook and Email's account. One star is too many for this website.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I'm a pretty educated single woman but after being on OkCupid.com for 6 months had no luck... After all, my account has been suspended for being too honest, probably. I think I gave them a hard time, reporting hundreds of fake accounts. I spent more time flagging fake profile pictures than looking for a soul mate. Got obsessed with being loyal. One day I couldn't log in. Tried to open another account - same problem (my home IP address was suspended). Thanks OkCupid.com!!! Got my life back and met someone offline!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Be aware of this site. This site is full of scammers and one night stands. I got scammed here guy who pretended he is in the army. The photos may not be a person you are actually talking to. It’s easy for scammers to take someone else’s photo and pretend him. They prey on vulnerable and innocent women who is desperately looking for love. After I got scammed and reported to the site management, but the guy's photos still available to prey on innocent women. I reported at least five times on same exact photos. What’s so shady about this website is that they are reluctant to do anything about it nor hand it over to the law enforcement or FBI. Those people are criminals and need to get off from this website. This company also need to get sued and better yet, our government should do something about this online criminal. They are getting more and more sophisticated. Please be careful talking to anyone on this site.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I signed up and paid to see my likes. Within three days of paying for the service my account has been canceled - no reason given. I thought this must be a mistake and discovered there is no customer service number and OkCupid doesn't return emails. But OkCupid is still running my profile on the site. I attempted many times to receive the reset email and that doesn't work either.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I was able to choose my preference when it comes to age ethnicity and areas in the world. I only didn't like the format. For me it's not really users friendly. I was able to use the other format but OkCupid brought back the old format. Even the size of the letters are too small. Most of the time you need to zoom it a little to have a better view of what you're writing on the chat room.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Many of the profiles on OkCupid are on other sites, like most sites the men outnumber the women. After 3 days my account was suspended and no reason given other than I somehow violated terms of the site. It says to contact customer support but there is no email or link to do that. So I was not disappointed because I didn't expect much as online dating is a joke. :P

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Just joined recently. Several problems with this site including no customer service available. I see over 78 "liked me". However when I click on it, there are 2? I have received "likes" and all but one, when I try to message these men I get a reply "this profile is private or not available." Seems like I have been scammed. Overall, since I am on the free option, while there are many male profiles, the vast majority are among the oddest I have ever seen. Few if any are professionals, many have rambling profiles, have avatars and no pictures, some have pics with their cars/motorcycles, with hair down to their shoulders, pics of their crotch (though dressed), topless with a towel around their privates, topless with a can of beer... The list goes on. Ladies like me, don't waste your time on OkCupid!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I have also used OKC sporadically over the years. I signed up for A-List this time, and was severely disappointed at the service I got. I received notifications that a person liked me, but going to the app, I couldn't see their profile in my Likes tab. Only found later, that she wouldn't appear unless I liked her first! WTH? Then I found somebody I liked, took the time to craft a message, only to find out that she won't see it unless she views my profile first. OK, OKCupid. I'm done with you. I'm never going back. I'd have better luck out in the wild.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I have used OkCupid off and on for multiple years. The website has gone down the drain in recent years with the changes to the messaging service. Still, I have met more people and gained more dates from this app than any other dating website despite its serious flaws. OkCupid does use shadow banning in the form of cookies they put on your computer that is used to prevent you from getting matches, messages, and signing up. I had to delete these often to keep my computer and account clean. The A List premium feature is definitely not worth it anymore since most of its functionality has been removed. A List only gives you additional search features, but all the other A List features that were pay only before was expanded to free accounts or removed completely from functioning.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Too many changes, way too much about money and lots of fake profiles. Can't message people like you use to. That's such a big let down. They will only get your message if they like you. That isn't a good dating site.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I liked this site when it was new, before all the privacy violations of users' data, and back when you could author your own questions. Lately you cannot. Existing questions are very immature, and the site has focused on quick swiping interface to match other unsophisticated dating apps. It became just that. Lots of bugs, unresponsive support. Also very low user base in some countries and very unattractive men, most sporting an ugly beard. Looks like the attractive men moved to other dating apps, while the surviving user base is score points on personality.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I stopped my paid membership several years ago after realizing that MANY of the Women's profiles showed to me were fake (many often stating "looking for Men 28-99"). They run a special re-join for $15.00 about every 6 months, I reluctantly rejoined for the "20% off" price in order to be able to see who "liked" my profile over the last 12 months (you can't see that unless you pay)... What I got was shown Women in the age groups "60, 65, 70, 75" and additionally Men and Transgenders... All of which I am totally not into and have my preferences set to not be shown any of that. After complaining all I got was B.S. replies back from cust. serv. I stopped my paid membership. OKCUPID is owned by Match.com.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I join as it claimed free dating but quickly found that it wouldn't load anything except the upgrade page. Yes I admit I didn't read the terms properly. Chose the 6 month option thinking it would be monthly so was shocked when they deducted the whole amount. After an hour of trying to maneuver my way round site unsuccessfully mind you. I managed to come across a guy I went to school with that was known as the local ice dealer, he claimed he was 8 years younger than he is, his first line of his profile said funny, honest, doesn't drink, smoke or do drug. So 3 strikes this app is out! I contacted them to advise I was not happy and wanted a refund. This was 28th Oct and 31st Oct and still no response. Is there anybody out there OkCupid?

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I received a message every single time I signed on that someone new liked me. They keep a running number in high visibility onscreen of every page so they want you pulled in to pay and find out who is liking you, as you won't know without paying. There were not new likes, mostly stale ones and they don't remove the ones that you have already passed on, so 95% of my likes were from people I had said no to who were supposedly removed from my searches.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

OkCupid used to be a decent dating app. But ever since it was acquired by IAC in 2011, OkCupid has steadily gotten worse. They have removed many of the features of the original app. You can no longer see who has visited your profile. In addition, they have made it very difficult to get a message to someone who you might be interested in dating: Two people have to both "like" each other and "match" first, before you can exchange messages with each other. Worst of all, it's populated with fake accounts and scammers: I had to resort to doing reverse image searches on any profile photo that looked attractive - in a futile attempt to screen out the vast number of users who misrepresent themselves with bogus pics copied and pasted from the Internet. Don't waste your time with this crappy dating app!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

100% fake profiles, weirdos, transgenders, and PSYCHOPATHS. One in particular named Carla who gave me her number and pretended to feign interest for a couple days... Then suddenly out of nowhere she freaks out and says she is going to the police and calling her lawyers!!! YIKES! OKC is a ** website.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I created a profile and the next day my account was suspended. I checked the associated email address and no explanation was given, nor any way to appeal the suspension. I did not send any inappropriate or disrespectful messages - in fact I never sent any messages to begin with. My profile page was also incomplete and didn’t contain anything sexual or offensive. I have an anxiety disorder and the lack of communication causes me distress. Was my account hacked? Did someone accidentally report me?

If OKCupid is going to ban fresh accounts with no dirt or terms of service violations, then I’m especially worried for anyone who trusts OKCupid with their most private information... OKCupid obviously has a very diverse member base and asks (optional) information about race, sexual orientation, and voting habits for matching users. I wonder what all this data is used for?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I had been a member on OKCupid for several years off and on and recently my account was banned. I have reached via Twitter and email to no avail. I am 100% that my messages were not in any way violent, sexually explicit nor harassment of any form. My ex-boyfriend who was on a sexual offenders list is on there and we had a horrible break up. He recently posted his profile back up and I believe he made something up. It took me complaining to the BBB for me to get a response, and they said they received a report against me, but due to the nature we cannot release that information.

Well since I know I have not sent anything wrong, how was that information validated? Did you look at the message history? Did they see if it was a fake profile? Or did they just take their word for it even though it's a false claim? That's not fair to the people who use the site accordingly. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE, NO ASSISTANCE AND NO PROTOCOL SET UP. DO NOT USE THIS SITE!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I tried to pay for a 1 month subscription. I got a prompt telling me that my credit card transaction failed, so I ran it again, only to discover that the first transaction DID go through. So I was charged twice! Now, I have to get a new credit card to avoid being charged again every month. It's my own fault, I know! Stay far AWAY from this garbage site! They will rob you and give you no way of rectifying the situation. They provide an email but tell you, after you write to them that they probably won't respond. What kind of nonsense is that!! Scammers!!! STAY AWAY!!! They stole over $40.00 from me, with no regard. It's sad that companies like this are allowed to continue. I only gave them 1 star because there is no option to give 0 stars.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

This site has no verification process. This site has nothing but scammers from northern Africa and the Ukraine. The only real people there are 1000s of miles away. 99 percent of contacts try to move you offsite by getting a phone number, then they ask for money. No one should be able to put up a profile without photo Id verification. Until they do that it's pure bs. I could personally care less about a photo posted. I want to know about the person. They have attempted to make it like Tinder and no one you pick ever matches. It's not trans friendly because of this. Straight trans haters select your photo and then find out you are trans and troll you instead of walking away. Bottom line stay away from this and all match sites unless you have lots of money. Scammers are going to ask you for money multiple times daily.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I subscribed to the OKC platform in June and was recently suspended. I paid for six month A list. I was notified today my account will be deleted and will not receive a refund. I have no idea why, but I did write a seething email to the support desk. My complaint is that I am a straight male and filled out my profile accordingly, but for some reason I would frequently be shown trans and gay male profiles. I live in SF and that's not my thing. I was pissed that the my rights to not select this lifestyle was being ignored. I'm sure this website could do better. Account closures to paying customers isn't a good business model.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I would agree with another review that the quality of People has declined significantly. I was stood up by one user after I drove two hours to met her in person back in 2008 at a restaurant and another user had two accounts and wrote to many guys and jerked me around and jerked other people around. The user who goes by the user id vornamesurname user on OkCupid. Beware of that user! I was so disgusted with the users on OkCupid. I removed my account after the website. Sadly I feel has taken a turn for worse, as I see the users as nothing, but trash on OkCupid from my experience. They could rev up security and not allow multiple accounts from the same IP. At one time OkCupid was completely free years ago. Now they try to screw you if you want to see who has clicked they liked you.

OkCupid.com expert review by Mark Brooks

OKCupid.com is a free site that offers members the ability to upgrade their experience by subscribing to a premium membership. Created in 2004, the site serves millions of members through a unique profile format and optional question and answer section.

• Unique profile format: Many dating sites only ask members to tell a little bit about themselves and who they are looking for. OKCupid makes it easier to learn more about prospective dates through open ended profile questions including six things you can't live without, what you are good at, what you are doing with your life, what you like to do on a friday night and more.

• Thousands of optional questions: OKCupid has a unique feature that allows you to answer as many or as few multiple questions on topics ranging from values and relationship goals to personal hygiene and basic math skills. You can then compare your answers to those of people whose profiles you are viewing.

• Advanced search algorithm: Users can choose both physical and value-based attributes to search for, improving the quality of the matches they find. Some criteria are only available via upgraded membership.

• Anonymous email network: Users can email potential matches through OKCupid.com's own messaging service, allowing them to keep their identities and contact info private until they are ready to share it.

• Profiles are screened before being posted: OKCupid.com staff screens profiles and photos before posting to ensure only appropriate information makes it onto the site.

• Best for: People looking for long-term relationships, people looking for short-term relationships, and people looking for a large dating pool.

Profile picture of Mark Brooks
Mark Brooks Online Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.

OkCupid.com Company Information