2.85/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

OkCupid.com

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

OkCupid.com Reviews

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I started using OKCupid when I was 63. It was recommended by a woman I met through another site. I was attracted to it because it is free, which seems to greatly increase the number of people using it. I live about 60 miles from a major metro area and 10 miles from a medium city. I created a detailed profile, answered hundreds of their questions and added explanations to many of them. I posted several photos. I was surprised and pleased at how many women I heard from, met in person, and went out with, not only the numbers but their suitability as potential partners. I heeded the site's match rating, and found that it was an excellent gauge of likely compatibility. With one or two exceptions, the ~40 women I met through OKC and went out with in a bit over 3 years were great companions and many remain friends. I found an exceptional one who lived nearby, and we have been living together blissfully for five years.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

The date game online is a wonderful experience for me. It is good for my ego as well as it lets me make good friends if not for a relationship. It is fun for me and the people that you can hit up and chat with from anywhere in the world is amazing. I love the fact that you can delete as well as connect. Wonderful, and very exciting to me, I am a people person, so it is so right for me.

Get expert buying tips about Online Dating Sites and Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

Little did I know 4 yrs ago my love life would transform into where it is now, present day. In 2 weeks from the moment as I'm writing this, I will marry the love of my universe in whom I met from the ok cupid app. Within the first week of conversing on ok cupid we scheduled our first date. Since the first date went well, we then scheduled a 2nd. I knew I had fell completely in love and admired every part of her soul and being. Ok Cupid was perfect with our match!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

Following a divorce, I found myself trying to date again but with absolutely no experience online dating. When I got married and exited the singles scene, most online “dating” sites were just hook up sites and kind of something people kept to themselves. Tried Tinder but thought it was silly. Tried Match and found it to be people just hooking up.

I read an article on The Drudge Report around this time reporting that a new dating site (i.e., OkCupid) that allowed premium members to sort potential mates by weight. I never paid for a premium membership and never used the function, but it got me to the app where I met my wonderful wife of five years. We have in that time spawned a wonderful two year old son. On our 2nd anniversary, we contacted OkCupid and asked if they had our old chat transcripts (we both had long since deleted our accounts). An OkCupid rep emailed the transcripts to us and we spent that evening on the porch drinking fancy IPAs and laughing and loving. That’s our story.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Compared to other dating sites, I think OkCupid has the greatest potential of all of them, even if it's only a LITTLE better. There ARE real humans on it who DO actually message you, and you DON'T need to pay for a subscription to use it. Unfortunately, there aren't that many people using OkCupid, so keep that in mind. It probably only has a tenth of the population that other dating sites have, and the majority of the users are ** or ** people. Not many Asians, but there are some. I've used OkCupid on and off for a few months, with and without paid subscriptions, and I did get a few real, human people responding (but less than a dozen in total). The entire site works off of a "DoubleTake" system, which is completely free. Paying doesn't even influence the system in any beneficial way for you. (I even think that paying makes your matches WORSE.)

Paying for a subscription basically gives you two benefits: You get thrown to the top of the matches list for an hour or so everyday when other users go through DoubleTake, and you can see one-sided likes from other users (like in Tinder), which is really not all that meaningful anyway because of how DoubleTake works. The DoubleTake system is basically the same thing as Tinder's swipe system, except that you can send your likes messages (if you view their profile and send them). Your messages show up as part of YOUR profile when the person you liked comes across you in DoubleTake.

If you're looking for a genuinely FREE dating site that DOES work and you have the patience to sift through totally random matches, try OkCupid. You don't need to pay for it, and honestly, I don't recommend doing so since you won't gain much out of it anyway. OkCupid's probably the only site out there that doesn't gate people from sending messages.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OkCupid.com?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Ok so I try out this online dating site called OkCupid. It seems like an legitimate site. I've only been on the site for about two days and even paid for an upgrade. So I reach out and try to contact as many women on this site as possible. Isn't this what we're supposed to be doing anyway? Haha. My only crime is I copied and pasted the same message to everyone. Please forgive me it saves some time! Haha. This is my message. "Hi there beautiful girl. How are you? I seem to have lost my heart somewhere. Could you possibly help me find it?" Wow that's an really terrible message. I never used any profanity nor did I ever harass anyone and yet I was suspended for this? What kind of dating website are these people trying to run here? I suggest everyone stay far away from this site. It's just another scam trying to obtain customers' money and little else!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

They used to be one of the best but they're now one of the worsts. They'll ban people even for no reason and won't tell you why you're banned. I've seen stories online where people paid for the site and got banned not long after. Ever since they got bought out by the owner of Match.com, they have gotten bad.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I got inexplicably banned from the site when I had done absolutely nothing wrong. I had been on it only a couple of weeks (had just paid for the service) and hadn’t really found any guys I really liked so I had barely communicated with anyone beyond maybe a "hello how is your week" kind of convo (not too creative of me I know). Nothing remotely offensive was said. My profile it pretty innocuous with nothing remotely offensive. I tried to email but they say in the email they won’t say why you are banned. All I can guess is some dude was pissed I was ignoring him so reported me maybe? Or my account got hacked? But since they won’t communicate with you and won’t let you back in to the site I have no idea. I would like to at least verify my account wasn’t hacked so I know if I need to change passwords elsewhere. Honestly, use a different dating app. This one seems to just take your money and provides no customer service report.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

Are they posting profiles of women no longer active on the site? I'm pretty sure they are. Most sites let you search by members who are online and most tell you the last time a member logged-on. Not OKcupid. I've received significantly fewer responses here than on 4 other sites I've joined in the past using the same pics and profile. I think they're a bit of a scam.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

I want to start this off by saying OKCupid was one of the better apps for online dating as there were far fewer bots and people that actually talked. I was a paying member for about 4 years until one day after talking about video games with a new match, I woke up the next morning to a message saying your account has been suspended for violating our terms of service. This confused me greatly as I only message matches a couple of times a month with very simple hello messages asking about a hobby, interest, or pet. I never say anything offensive, harassing, lewd, provocative, or otherwise creepy or ban-worthy, and yet here I was.

I tried looking up to see what this suspension meant, and that is actually code for your account has been deleted... permanently. I tried contacting their support through email, and they responded saying they don't deal with claims about suspensions. I tried looking it up, and sure enough, there is a long history of people getting banned for no reason and never finding out why. This to me seemed very odd, especially since OKCupid has a paid option. If I, as a customer, want to pay for their service, I can get banned for no reason and no appeal, and, better yet, I can make a new free account and try all over again.

I would never pay again as they could easily ban me again and just take my money (as has happened to many people), so essentially, their business model promotes the creation of free accounts and promotes short loyalty of its customers... That doesn't sound very supportive, does it? So I'd say, if you don't care about meeting girls at the risk of being banned for no reason right when you actually get in contact with someone, then sure, use OKCupid, but every time you go to sleep might be the last time that you still have an account with this cutthroat company.

OkCupid.com expert review by Mark Brooks

OKCupid.com is a free site that offers members the ability to upgrade their experience by subscribing to a premium membership. Created in 2004, the site serves millions of members through a unique profile format and optional question and answer section.

• Unique profile format: Many dating sites only ask members to tell a little bit about themselves and who they are looking for. OKCupid makes it easier to learn more about prospective dates through open ended profile questions including six things you can't live without, what you are good at, what you are doing with your life, what you like to do on a friday night and more.

• Thousands of optional questions: OKCupid has a unique feature that allows you to answer as many or as few multiple questions on topics ranging from values and relationship goals to personal hygiene and basic math skills. You can then compare your answers to those of people whose profiles you are viewing.

• Advanced search algorithm: Users can choose both physical and value-based attributes to search for, improving the quality of the matches they find. Some criteria are only available via upgraded membership.

• Anonymous email network: Users can email potential matches through OKCupid.com's own messaging service, allowing them to keep their identities and contact info private until they are ready to share it.

• Profiles are screened before being posted: OKCupid.com staff screens profiles and photos before posting to ensure only appropriate information makes it onto the site.

• Best for: People looking for long-term relationships, people looking for short-term relationships, and people looking for a large dating pool.

Profile picture of Mark Brooks
      Mark Brooks Online Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.

OkCupid.com Company Information