eHarmony Reviews

eHarmony
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.29/5

Los Angeles-based eharmony launched in the United States in 2000 with its patented Compatibility Matching System® which allows eharmony members to be matched with compatible persons with whom they are likely to enjoy a long-term relationship.

Single? Frustrated with online dating?

Take back control of your love life now with LoveAndMatchmaking

Get Started

Single? Frustrated with online dating?

Take back control of your love life now with LoveAndMatchmaking

Get Started

eHarmony Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eHarmony?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about eharmony?

Original review: June 7, 2020

I married The one I met. Almost 10 years now that we have been married. I think the questions, etc. if you answer truthfully it will help out a lot. Process is a bit lengthy but once you get through it it seems to work. Not sure what else to say but try it to see for yourself. I tried Match but that was a big crapshoot. This is all 10 yr ago so not sure how much things have changed since.

Original review: June 2, 2020

I am a female matching with males. Psychology professor Barry Schwartz found that having an infinite number of choices is detrimental, paralyzing and exhausting. There are many profiles with zero pictures. Many that will message for a day or two and then disappear. I don’t know if it’s eHarmony bots or real men with Choice Overload. Whereas I have 3 matches in my city and one has no picture. One has no eyebrows. And one hasn’t read my message yet. It doesn’t seem like anyone on is there in my age range for a committed relationship.

On the other hand, my best friend is in the South and she has met her soulmate on eHarmony in the same time I have been a member. Perhaps I am the cursed-in-love one. I do celebrate that eHarmony is global and countries of your desire can be selected to match from. And I do always feel safe on their platform. Each member can easily block and delete with or without a reason. And during the pandemic eHarmony released a new feature in beta testing called Video Date. On sale for $300 for 6 month membership, it does include a fascinating personality profile. So stay positively optimistic, singletons! It’s a confusing frustrating tedious part time job to date online. Every one of us is worthy of being in love.

Get buying tips about Online Dating Sites and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I met my spouse using Harmony. The profile setup takes a REALLY to complete and fill out the needed sections. However, I also REALLY liked the details they required a user to complete because it helps weed out some of the people who are not there to truly date but just hook-up. It also gives a much better way to evaluate potential prospects. And, the first sets of communication allow for you to evaluate potential partners without going on actual dates (saves money from the guys perspective and time/energy on the girls).

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I was divorced 12/27/16 and a friend talked me into going on EHarmony beginning of February 2017 and it was a free weekend so I was hoping just to be able to see who was out there and maybe set up a date. I was so nervous putting myself out there since I have never been on a dating app. One guy name Jeff said hi and we talked and he gave me his phone number and we became friends on Facebook so I gave him my phone number as well. I was 36 years old and he was 42 years old at the time and we texted constantly. Our first face to face date was at Hoss’s Steak and Sea House and Jeff would take me to basketball games and to see the Phillies play and I really fell in love so April 22, 2017 we got engaged at the blue and white game at PENN State football game and were married on Jeff’s birthday August 8, 2017 and we are still married as of today. EHarmony was the best website ever.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I always had trouble meeting women due to low self esteem and ended up in an awful marriage in my early 20s. After a nasty divorce, I spent 5 years raising my very young daughter alone. When I decided it was time to start dating, I decided to try eHarmony because of their matching process. I had a few bad matches, but after 6 months (and one day after letting my subscription lapse), I was matched with Sara (2/15/06). I renewed for 1 month so I could talk to her. I proposed on 4/16/06 and we married on 6/16/06. We just celebrated our 13th anniversary! It does work, if you let it. (Finding a mate is not the same as shopping for a car!)

Original review: July 2, 2020

Eharmony is very manipulative. I signed up for a 12 Month plan for a total of $204 in 3 payments. The day after I signed up I reached out for them to cancel and refund me. They told me that I wasn't within the selected cities that are able to get their refund back within 3 days. I am very disappointed. They send you matches of people who most of the time don't even have full accounts to communicate with you. They are overcharging people for a bogus service and I am considering taking legal action against Eharmony to refund me my money in full. They are manipulative. Maybe Eharmony was a great service years ago but due to the other free sites or less expensive sites, no one is really signing up. I am very disappointed and someone really need to investigate this company.

Original review: July 1, 2020

I'm pretty sure that they have a program that "entices" you to find your match by having someone write you a personal note. They take advantage of your curiosity and desire for a meaningful connection and offer you a subscription "deal". This "deal" means you can pay $120 for 3 months, or $240 for a year. Most hardworking people believe that they should take the deal, without realizing that eHarmony's policy is to NOT refund offers if you select a program that pays in advance. I'm in a large Metro area in Atlanta, and I've had random notes from someone in the SE Asia, and one who suddenly disappeared when I matched with her- then paid to sign up to speak with that person. I was willing to let that go, thinking that there would be more promising matches.

It's clear that there are multiple fake profiles online, also that people are summarily dismissing a basic attempt to communicate. It's not worth the money, it's not worth your time, and quite honestly- I believe this is a complete scam. MAYBE there are people out there who will match and end up finding their partner. But if you could do an analysis of their success rate vs. the people who never find a match I bet you would see something like under 5%. I asked to switch to a 3 month plan so I could possibly get back some money, since this is a tough time for people financially, and this could have better been spent (IMHO) if I bought a bunch of scratch lottery tickets and got a bottle of bourbon. DO NOT BOTHER. "customer service" is not offered here, and they also do not make any effort to work with you if you're unsatisfied. Just canned responses and delays so that you can't find a satisfactory solution together.

IF you want to sign up- try for one month. You'll save your money- and maybe see that your experience is similar to mine. I'd also like to point out that most folks today have zero intention of meaningful dialogue. Either people are trolling for a quick hookup, or they are trolling you period. So many bots on this website. You could waste hours looking through their "matches" and your time is better spent trying to better yourself physically and mentally. I'd love to see their "success" rate overall. At best, single digits- over millions of people this is not successful or worthy of your hard earned money.

Original review: July 1, 2020

This company has a scheme going on. There is no services rendered worth the money they scam from you. No eligible members worthwhile, most are faceless making you wonder how is it that they have a profile w/o paying and how are they able to see payee's profiles. Connections are exaggerated. eHarmony manipulates access to profiles! Save your money and don’t signup with them!

Original review: July 1, 2020

There is literally nothing positive I can say about eharmony. First red flag should have been that they demanded I pay an entire year’s subscription upfront which was over $180. Their deceptive advertising shows the membership price as a monthly amount. This is clearly designed to make you think you will pay on a monthly basis but that is NOT true. Second major red flag is they will not issue you a refund after 3 days for anything in the world. Seriously? You’re supposed to decide if you’re satisfied with your membership within 3 days!?

Strangely enough I noticed that I got by far the most attention from other members during those first 3 days of signing up. After that there was almost no sign of life. Really seems like eHarmony purposely generates smiles or messages from profiles they probably created themselves during your first 3 days of being on the site so you will not cancel your membership because then they would have to give you your money back. When I confronted customer service about this they would not acknowledge it at all and instead told me I wasn’t getting attention anymore (notice my use of the word “anymore” here) because I just needed to add more photos. My number of photos was the same in the beginning and I was getting way more attention back then. The quality of the site is just terrible. Their so called compatibility matching system matches you up with people you have nothing in common with.

Your search preferences like match distance are completely disregarded. I said I wanted matches within a 30 mile radius so instead I get matched mostly with men from other states! The match quality leaves much to be desired. This site seems to be crawling with flaky insincere people that string you along and ghost on you when it comes time to meet up. Many profiles don’t even include photos anymore. Furthermore eharmony keeps showing your profile to other people even after you cancel your membership so some poor unsuspecting person tries to message you and they have no hope of getting a response. This company is a bunch of horrible greedy liars who prey on people’s loneliness and vulnerability and they deserve to be in prison for scamming the public. Do not give them a cent of your hard earned money!

Original review: June 30, 2020

Bought into this joke for one year! Within five days with nothing but five matches (they were not!!), I reached out for help and/or to cancel subscription. No help, no refund, NADA! Don’t know how they sucker the public so well, but count me as one of their latest!

eharmony author review by Mark Brooks

eHarmony is the largest dating site geared specifically towards long-term relationships and marriage minded singles. They claim to be responsible for over 500 new marriages every day in the US.

• In-depth entry questionnaire: eHarmony asks all of its members a little more than 300 multiple choice questions before allowing them to enter into their ranks. This in-depth questionnaire is geared at giving the site enough information to help provide you with qualified potential matches.

• No Searching: In sharp contrast to other dating sites, eHarmony does not allow members to search directly for matches. Instead, it uses the answers from the questionnaire to provide you with a selection of daily matches that should be compatible with your needs and desires in a partner.

• Guided Communication: Instead of sending off an email or wink like you would do on most sites, eHarmony takes members through 4 steps of guided communication before allowing you to continue with open communication with a new match. The guided communication is designed to help assure compatibility and that you don't waste energy on bad matches.

by Mark Brooks Online Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.

eHarmony Company Information