eHarmony

eHarmony Reviews

3.7/5 (2385 ratings)
Find an Online Dating Sites partner
Banner image

Single? Frustrated with online dating?

Take back control of your love life now with LoveAndMatchmaking

Get Started

About eHarmony Reviews

Los Angeles-based eharmony launched in the United States in 2000 with its patented Compatibility Matching System® which allows eharmony members to be matched with compatible persons with whom they are likely to enjoy a long-term relationship.

Banner image

Single? Frustrated with online dating?

Take back control of your love life now with LoveAndMatchmaking

Get Started

eHarmony Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eHarmony?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about eharmony?

Original review: May 9, 2022

eHarmony is only interested in taking your money. I joined, was charged a ridiculous amount and within 3 months of joining, I received a total of 6 matches. That's it. I joined another dating site and was inundated with matches! When I wrote to the company expressing my dissatisfaction, their customer service replied with a prewritten response, and when I replied back to them, they ignored me. They simply do not care. This must be how many others feel and would also explain why my activity was so low - their pool of candidates have probably shrunk - no doubt to their lousy business practices and subsequent poor reviews. You can add mine to the pile.

Original review: May 8, 2022

Here are the facts about this company. They have no desire to let you see the product they offer before you buy. I'll be more specific and I'll use a car dealership as an example. If you go to a car dealership to purchase a vehicle, you have the opportunity to search their inventory to first determine if they have the type(s) of vehicle that you want to buy. Eharmony does not allow you to do this, you cannot see the men or women unless you first pay. Let's say you were looking for a Toyota or Honda SUV. You can search the car lots for free in your area to determine if there are either Toyota and Honda SUV's in your specific geographical area. You can then look at the vehicles for free to determine if you wan to move forward with a purchase.

If you are looking specifically for a ** or Latino man or woman to date, Eharmony does not allow the user to search for free their inventory to see if there are indeed any ** or Latino men or women who are members of their site. They first want you to pay for at least 6 months with absolutely no guarantee that they can offer what you are looking for. What other business has this horrible customer service model? You may pay for a minimum 6 month purchase and once you are allowed to search without restrictions, you may discover that there are no men or women that you like on their site yet they have your money and there is nothing you can do to get it back. What they do is make you go through this B.S. 20 minute compatibility test which means absolutely NOTHING. You get to know the person by actually meeting, talking and spending time with them. That compatibility crap is all for show and had zero value for the customer.

Get buying tips about Online Dating Sites and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 4, 2022

There are less than 10% of the potential matches I see on Match on this service. The price is completely out of proportion to the service it provides and the site itself works poorly. It's a poor service at an outrageous price.

Original review: May 2, 2022

When I used Eharmony previously the pitch said cancel free **anytime**. That proved to not be true, and the "matches" they give you are ridiculous. I cancelled very quickly (and moved to Match) and they refused to honor the cancellation and continued to bill me. My credit card was lost and deactivated, so they then sent me to COLLECTIONS over a ''contracted amount" yet it clearly stated cancel anytime. DO NOT. It is an absolute waste of money.

Original review: April 29, 2022

If I could give eHarmony a "0", I would. The matches are very limited, not my preferences, and not anyone I would be attracted to. There has to be some physical attraction as well. You go through all these hoops to find a good match, but they don't get your matches right. Trying to communicate to people is worthless, because these people are probably in the same boat as me, and don't use the site anymore, as it is horrible. And that is why no one responds to you.

There is no option to cancel, and when you do get a hold of someone, there is ZERO OPTION TO CANCEL. I tried to do it within the timeline they give you but they come up with some reason why you still must pay. You can not get a refund, and they take your money monthly, even if you do not use the site. Terrible customer service, they do NOT CARE if you are not happy with their services. Other companies will refund your money if you are not 100% satisfied. Not this place. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME PEOPLE!!!

Original review: April 27, 2022

Unlike other dating sites, where you pay a monthly rate and can cancel anytime without penalty, eHarmony requires a contract and will not let you out of it for any reason. They wanted me to give them a lump sum of $312 or $78 a month for four months for a six month subscription. I took the monthly payment option. It was more expensive than Match or Okcupid but I gave it a shot. There were only about five people in my area, none of whom I was interested in. Now mind you, I live in the DC area so there should have been plenty to choose from. Maybe they all were smart enough not to use eharmony.

I called eharmony less than 24 hours after making my $78 payment and that's when I was told I had entered a contract and could not cancel. I called my bank and stopped payment to them. When they were unable to take my money, the aggressive phone calls and emails started. I was even threatened with legal action if I didn't pay off the remaining balance. They have now sent me to collections. If I see them on my credit report, I will dispute it. If I can make even one person decide not to use eharmony, I will be delighted. They are shady as hell. $312 for five people within 50 miles of DC? I don't think so. Eharmony can go to hell. They will never see a dime of money again. How they have been so successful is beyond me.

Original review: April 26, 2022

My experience with eHarmony leaves a terrible taste. They automatically renewed my subscription and then notified me 2 days afterwards when it was too late for me to cancel. They also charged me double the rate to over $350.00. I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and Consumer Affairs and said that eHarmony wanted access to my account and messages. At some point, eHarmony told me they would give me a discount at the rate of $179.40. I refused to pay as I didn't want the service. I have received threatening emails where they wrote, "We may also consider taking further action to obtain the outstanding balance from you, including transferring the claim to a debt collection agency, where reasonable and permitted by law."

Original review: April 26, 2022

Do not use this site for dating, firstly it is one of the most expensive monthly costs, they say you can cancel within 14 days HOWEVER what they DO NOT tell you that if you do they WILL CHARGE YOU £130 for the personality profile they send you when signing up! This profile is not in-depth. Indeed you could google it and get same results however they MAKE YOU email them to CANCEL to ensure they can TAKE THE PAYMENT before you are aware of it! They reduce the amount to £49.95 outstanding as if they are doing you a favour!!

This means you have to go through a visa dispute to get your money back! Do not give this company your card details as they will charge you before responding and if you google cancelling with eHarmony they do not tell you about the charge they give you!!! This company is disingenuous and outright fraudulent, they take money with no authorisation. DO NOT USE!!!

Original review: April 19, 2022

The company only want your money. The only option is to sign up for 1 year and you only have 3 days to cancel. Once past 3 days, you will be liable for the whole year whether you use the service or not. Their service looks good from the outside but is just bells and whistles, all uselessness information for people who have not been on in years. Be warned, you are throwing away your money.

Original review: April 18, 2022

If I could I would give negative star. The site has very limited options as far as potential dates go. I tried canceling by inactivating within the time period but they still charged me for one year of subscription saying that I did not click on something that was not readily visible. The charge that I refused to pay went into collections. I saw that eHarmony settled a class action lawsuit a few years ago. I would definitely discourage anyone from doing business with eHarmony.

eharmony author review by Mark Brooks

eHarmony is the largest dating site geared specifically towards long-term relationships and marriage minded singles. They claim to be responsible for over 500 new marriages every day in the US.

• In-depth entry questionnaire: eHarmony asks all of its members a little more than 300 multiple choice questions before allowing them to enter into their ranks. This in-depth questionnaire is geared at giving the site enough information to help provide you with qualified potential matches.

• No Searching: In sharp contrast to other dating sites, eHarmony does not allow members to search directly for matches. Instead, it uses the answers from the questionnaire to provide you with a selection of daily matches that should be compatible with your needs and desires in a partner.

• Guided Communication: Instead of sending off an email or wink like you would do on most sites, eHarmony takes members through 4 steps of guided communication before allowing you to continue with open communication with a new match. The guided communication is designed to help assure compatibility and that you don't waste energy on bad matches.

by Mark Brooks Online Dating & Matchmaking Advisor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.

eHarmony Company Information