eHarmony

Compare Online Dating Websites & Services

Research top Online Dating Websites & Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have found that most of the men who contact me have the same story. They beloved wife died and their only child was tragically killed or lives overseas. These men claim to be well to do, and they work from home. There is no way to verify or trace them. They all claim to be honest, loving and been hurt in the past and have so much love to give. They are so full or flowery compliments and talk way too much about feelings and how they are the perfect man. The first thing they tell you is that their subscription is finished today, so they find a way to give you their email address to try and get you off site, and only then do they send you pictures which are fake. And the rest of the men are usually halfway across the country or in the USA. I find eHarmony to be way more expensive and definitely not worth any amount. Stick to POF or another site, stay away from this one. I wish I had read of reviews before they scammed me into joining this site.

I was on eHarmony for almost a year. I kept getting matches with men who were NOT in the same COUNTRY. Not much replies. I discontinued my search because there were hardly responses and there was no one near me! When I closed my account because of no luck, they REFUSED to refund me. I complained many times but they took my money and ran. I had no matches in my country. I would NOT recommend eHarmony. One of the worst sites and customer service is next to non-existent. And I'm still single.

I thought this site would be different than the other sites. But, NOT! How disappointing. My experience is the same as other reviews. I don't want to search globally. I want to find someone at least in California or neighboring states. I'm not looking to relocate my life. I paid for this dating site and found out afterwards that there are more fees for other things. That makes no sense. Also, only got 1 email return and was told that he does not pay for the site, so would rather chat through email. NOT! So I'm guessing most people are smart and don't pay for these sites. Profiles seem to be fake and people are not honest. What a rip off. I'm in for 3 months. I'll just wait it out.

Too little time to review and cancel account - but of course eHarmony knows this. I bought a six-month subscription and gave it two weeks only to realize it was a horrible service. It is obvious after a few days that they do not have a sufficiently populated client base to deliver acceptable matches, as implied. Oh sure, for the first 3 days (their cancellation period) you're getting scores of matches! Then they very quickly die off. Most of the profiles are clearly fake, as evidenced by poor grammar (think "foreign sweatshop" trolling for your info), photographs that are unrealistically attractive and urgent requests for phone/or personal info. eHarmony runs a racket and they know it and if you try to get your money back forget about it. Hard lesson learned. How they get an A+ rating on BBB I can't fathom. This company is run by crooks!! Save your money.

I would like to say that I am very dissatisfied with eHarmony's web service, but that would be inaccurate. eHarmony's service was not unsatisfactory, it was an absolute scam! This was the second time I bought into their alleged relationship and matchmaking experts sham. The first time I purchased the service and created my profile, I DID have the opportunity to meet someone from the site (briefly), so idiotically, I ignored the warning signs and red flags that were already present.

Two months ago, after receiving CONSTANT email updates from eHarmony, indicating that sooo many ladies had sent messages and smiles to me while I was gone, I decided to reactivate my account again. It didn't take long for me to realize that most of the messages I had received were from deleted or inactive accounts. Still, being the honorable boy scout I have always strived to be, I decided to send "Hi there" messages and smiley faces to nearly a hundred of my "perfect matches" (according to eharmony's alleged in depth analysis). The results were, I had virtually zero responses!

Funny thing though... when I notified eHarmony of my wish to terminate my account, to which they pointed out the fact that two months payments were still required before they would deactivate my account, my inbox began receiving WONDERFUL messages of beautiful ladies that were SOO pleased to have read my profile and found me to be a perfect match. They almost literally quoted eHarmony's catch phrases word for word. STILL, I refused to listen to my own instincts and fell for the trap again. I began responding to the queries, giving them more details about myself.

It was not until the profiles were disappearing from eHarmony's mainframe almost as quickly as they had appeared, and the fact that these "ladies" either didn't have a cell number or lost it and just preferred I email them to the weirdest email accounts ever like "**" or "**". The clincher to all of this nonsense, is how they were all sooo surprised that I had left eHarmony! Their accounts didn't even exist anymore but still they asked; "Why? Is something wrong? Are you going to return soon???"

Need I say more? Even if I was to believe that some hacker kids were just having a good time with eHarmony's mainframe, that would NOT enthrall or even amuse them to waste their breath defending eHarmony credentials with all their might. There is ONLY ONE explanation! eHarmony pays their web developers to create fake profiles, develop artificial communications and submit false messages, in order to draw in and maintain a client base of unwitting believers. It is my strong recommendation that this service be uprooted immediately or at least, shake the foundations so violently as to remove all the rotten apples from the tree.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eHarmony.com?

Spend time writing info only to get an "Oops something unexpected happened. Please try again." message when trying to save. Happens all the time. Paying for a service & expect it to work. Understand short term problems but this is ridiculous. Don't respond to emails either.

I signed up for eHarmony only to find out that within 2 days that they lied about the amount of users for their site. Every match was out of state. When I asked to cancel I was told I had to email my request and it took 7 business days to hear back then an anonymous email was sent back to me to inform me I will continue to be billed. I could never talk with a live person and when I asked about the fact that there is no one using eHarmony in my state they would not address it. I find it interesting that they do not allow feedback/rating system on their website, Facebook or any other social media outlet. I believe this is so they can continue to lie to the public about their none existent success rate. I will have to fight the charge through my bank to get it to stop. They lied and then expect the customer to continue to pay for bogus service. I feel so lied to and it's sad because I was excited to meet new people.

Misleading advertisement. I have been on eHarmony for two months and have not had a single date. I have messaged several men, 14, and none of them have replied to me. It has been over two weeks since I messaged them and it's like they don't exist. This is disappointing and a total scam. I called to get a pro-rated refund as they have not delivered and they gave me the runaround and said an "account specialist" will contact me. This is frustrating and a poorly run company. What would make me happy is to get my money back as I have not had a single date.

I used eHarmony years ago and had great success with meeting people globally. Now your search is limited and they make you commit to minimum 6 months payment by credit card that you can not change. They make you pay it all upfront within 3 months with very limited search and info. You have to pay for other features. eHarmony has passed its best before date and is a horrible site. Do not waste your time or money. So disappointing. Money hungry and not at all set for you to meet people. And remember, you won't find others who can't pay or who won't pay, so do not bother looking here to begin with. It's also unfair to have to call California for customer service and not being able to cancel. Horrible. Do not use.

I wanted to try the site and joined when it was free. During that time I liked it enough to pay for the service. The site set up is not bad but there are hidden charges everywhere and good luck finding customer service to refute a charge. For instance I paid a one time fee for just trying incognito and my phone did not let me know this function costs money. I realized it immediately and turned it off but still incurred a $20 charge (which would be monthly) if I left it on. Without this function the other person on the site is notified every time you look at their profile.

Also the site set me up for auto-renewal, never notified me, and I'm now stuck with close to $300 in set payments for another 6 months of service I don't want. The site kept pairing me with individuals outside of what I requested (too far away to date, I don't want long distance -- or well under or over my age preference by more than a few years).

I don't hold a grudge against online dating. I've met some nice individuals through both eHarmony and Match. It's expected to pay for a service that can be subjective to who else joins the site, and I'm not placing this review on who contacted me or the dating experience itself. But I met someone off the sites and I'm still stuck paying for this service I don't want. And while you have to be careful anytime a site has your credit card number, I think there should be a way out. Take one more or two months but don't stick me with 6 months paid in advance totaling near $300.

I have been on eHarmony in the past and rejoined a little over two weeks ago. I am so disappointed. I have already been subject to scammers - two different individuals. When are these people going to get it and make it more secure!!! Be aware when using this site. Not be a victim.

I give eHarmony 1 star for a very poor rating. First they haven't sent me a single local match, all my matches are from other states and you can't date someone that far away. Plus whenever a man does try to get to know me they have blocked us from communicating so we can't talk to each other even though I am a paying customer. They have done this with every single man that tried to talk to me and I am very angry about it. I truly feel like they have stolen my money and are refusing me access to the services I have paid good money for. I think this company is a scam and no one should use this dating website.

I have written them repeated notes through their contact info. I never get a response. I am ridiculously unhappy that there seem to be NO MATCHES in my preferences, and I get matches from halfway across the country? I have asked for assistance. No response. I complain. No response. It is like bashing my head against a very expensive wall. I paid for a full year, and am tempted to just change my photo to a middle finger and write nasty things. Useless, POS site.

EHarmony lacks Ethics. I wish I had read the reviews before signing up. Just glad I waited for a promotion, so paid for 1 month, yet got 3. EHarmony offers very little support, hard to even find a customer service phone; not a harmonious site. The matches are far and few and when you finally connect w/ someone, eHarmony deletes or removes them the next day. What the ** is that! This site is awful, better off on a cheaper site like "OurTime" and get more communication that's not deleted. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY PEOPLE!!!

I read some of the negative reviews, however I did have a good experience with them over five years ago. So I thought that I would give it a shot, but only pay for one month in case I didn't like it. I must say that I shouldn't have bothered. I have received much less of a response than at the free Christian dating sites that I have joined around the same time and there are supposedly far more members. I haven't been interested in all but one of the people who have emailed me, so I don't even know if the others are even legit. Many of them look like they can be Nigerian scammers to be honest. There are really few of my matches, or people in general who have even bothered to look at my profile which tells me that few are active on this site and I have stated worldwide as a search criteria, so there really isn't any excuse, whereas I don't have this problem at other sites.

Despite asking my matching preferences, they have sent me matches which do not match up to my preferences. It just looks like they just throw anyone your way and call it a 'match'. I don't like the layout and look of the site, it's cumbersome and outdated. I don't hate this site (probably because I haven't been scammed out of money yet) but I have given it such a low rating because it offers you basically nothing for an exorbitant fee. You would do much better, and get out much more from a free site. Oh yes and beware the website who quote this as the best site to meet Christian singles, it is most certainly not, and is a colossal waste of money.

Instead of sending a confirmation email to VERIFY the user creating an account is the actual owner of that email address being used, they don't. Eharmony allows anyone to put in any email address to sign up for an account and continue to use the account, while the owner of the email address tries to delete the account. Eharmony help sends a request to the Security and Trust Department, who does absolutely nothing! This department's email say their response time is 2 days. It's 6 days and no response yet.

Therefore your email address is now being used on a website that you never signed up for and you cannot delete because chances are you don't know the ZIP code the person is using on the account or to be able to reset password. Eharmony doesn't care that it's illegal practices on their side by not having a confirmation verification email sent before they allow a user to establish and use said email address.

Can't get this Security and Trust to even respond. I'm filing a complaint with FTC for this action as it is a misuse of my email address. They had no permission to use in the first place. When I ask for help to remove they ignore the requests. I've used chat every day for 4 days requesting this be resolved. I have responded daily to the incident report to Security & Trust with screen shots of new emails that come in 3 times a day and asking them to please make the stop and delete this account and remove my email address being used without my permission... I get no responses at all. They used no method to verify email address in the first place!

I signed up as I thought that a paying dating site would have better caliber of choices. However the "matches" that they sent for me were absolutely disgusting. It kept changing the age range, adding 10+ years to every match. The matches were very unappealing, to say the least. I had to "hide" 98% of the men they sent me as potential mates. I tried to find a way to contact them, so I could cancel my account, but it was too late. So I'm stuck paying for 6 months for a service I VERY unhappy with.

Saw the advertisements on TV. Made it seem easy for a senior to use. Signed up for the year as it was best value for my finances only to find out that the only computer I own, an iPad, is not supported. No way to navigate the drop down boxes to access specific functions. Numerous emails back and forth for support wherein outcome is that they don't support an iPad. Won't refund my money and I'm only two weeks into my year long subscription. Basically, I have to go buy a laptop, desktop, or run down to local library if I want to use what I paid for. Read the other reviews on here and want to note that I too have been matched with people too far outside my geographic setting. Please don't waste your time with this website. It's truly all about them locking in your payments regardless of the outcome.

Eharmony match you with people who are no longer online. Customer service also lies and says the people are active when they know they are not. Unlike other online dating websites eHarmony does NOT let you know whether the person had been online last week, two days ago, NO TIME IS GIVEN!!!! Eharmony DOES NOT HAVE A VARIETY OF ACTIVE MEN!!!! Even if the men weren't interested you should see that they at least viewed your profile. Months go back and no response and they never viewed you. Conclusion- they were never online and eHarmony is full of **!!!!

I had signed up for a 1 yr subscription over 1 year ago, thinking this was a quality website based on the advertising on TV. I did not think my parameters were too limited as far as what type of person I wanted to meet (within 2 hrs, non smoker, Christian). At first I got some matches, but within a short period of time (2-3 mo), the matches seemed to dry up, and I did not get any new matches or see any new potential members for at least 7 mo. I pretty much gave up and feel that I wasted my money on this site. I think they keep old members profiles to make it appear they have more active members. I had inquired with Customer service when I was not getting any matches and was advised that I could get more matches if I didn't have limitations on the things that were important to me, i.e. distance. Why would I want to date someone who is 3 hrs or more away? I live near a midsized city and am 2 hrs away from 2 other cities!!

They got hundreds of extra bucks out of me by making it impossible to cancel casually, and nearly impossible with careful planning. I had to calendar my cancelation window, and not miss it or it would be another 3 months... However, dating casually, not a problem. And meeting psychos with pathological baby mamas – also not a problem. Buyer beware!

They cancelled my account once subbed and didn't refund me. They are thieves and criminals and should be shut down. Most of the people on eHarmony are not subscribed so you'll waste tons of time writing to them but they cannot see your letters unless they subscribe. Once they do, eHarmony will close the account and keep the money. I heard from an insider who used to work there that they do this to people who they think are going to get matched quickly so they can keep people single and searching and paying them $$$ - very disreputable company. My account was open for months, I finally subscribed and they shut my account down within an hour.

Horrible site, service, etc. Signed up Feb 18 & decided within a day that I did not want the service. Called Feb 20 to request a refund & cancel subscription. Spoke with a nice rep that told me they'd cancel subscription & extend refund time (originally 3 days, extended to 12) & also allow me to continue to use site for 1 month free. I ended up not using it after all & didn't think twice since I was told billing was canceled. Fast forward to today. I look at my bank account & lo & behold, I have a pending charge for eHarmony!

Called Customer service & got the runaround for 30 mins about their policy stating the customer has to submit a request to a committee via email & that committee decides whether or not to allow said customer to deactivate their account & no longer be charged. I just submitted request, now begins my 5-7 day waiting period for the committee to decide whether or not to continue charging my account for unauthorized service. This should be punishable by law... I submitted a request to my bank to decline the charge, let's see if that works as well.

I'm very disappointed with eHarmony's website. It is very slick as far as pumping out matches that are so far "outside your reach" but they are not clear regarding billing charges. I signed up for 12 months and was promptly billed for $336 in a lump sum. When I signed for a 12 month plan it appeared as though it was monthly billing. Although eHarmony flashes a lengthy terms and condition policy the total cost was not displayed until I entered my credit card number and hit enter. When I saw the charge I wanted a refund. This is my complaint: accessing customer service is virtually impossible on the site. I had to wait until the credit card bill with the phone number arrived to cancel my membership. By this time I had exceeded the 3 day refund period.

The customer experience continued to deteriorate. I called the company once I received my credit card bill. The live voice person was only there for technical support - how to get more matches which I did not want. I received a canned email citing chapter and verse eHarmony's three day refund policy. For three weeks I wrote additional emails and finally got a "personalized" response including yet a another link to the refund policy. I am willing to pay for the time I used the site which is now dragging on 2 months but eHarmony will not refund any portion of the $336. I work in a very customer focused business and could not believe the lack of customer care that eHarmony practices in such a people focused business. What a sweet deal for eHarmony! PS I met my late husband on Match.com so I know about the benefits of online dating services. This one is all about the gimmicks not about the client. Hiding in a website is not way to do business.

I purchased a yearly membership in December 2016 and I am not happy with the service I received. I requested a refund because I was not receiving responses back from my matches. I have written to many matches and I don't hear back. It was brought to my attention that the reason I am not hearing back is because these people I am being matched with don't actually have paid membership with eHarmoney and thus can't see my email. To be frank that's very deceiving business practice to someone like myself who's paid for membership but yet, I am being matched with people that are not paid members.

And secondly, the people I am being matched with are not compatible with me. I put on my profile that I am a very physically active person and it is very important to me that my matches are also very physically active yet, the people I am being matched with don't share my same sentiments regarding physical activity. I understand that you match people based on their "compatibility" and I have found that most of my matches are not compatible to myself.

I called and wrote to eHarmony requesting a refund for the 9 months of the yearly membership I did not utilize. They denied my refund stating that they don't grant refunds under any circumstances, 3 days the membership fee was paid. I promised a service I did not receive and thus requested a refund. I am very disappointed with eHarmony's business practices.

I signed up to eHarmony in November for a 3 month subscription. I soon enough found that my matches were too far away to bother with or people closer but inactive with little on their profiles. There wasn't enough people within reasonable distance who were active. About 2 weeks in I had my account blocked by eHarmony for no reason (not even one they could give me!).

I called customer support UK and spoke to 2 people (on separate occasions), both of whom I could barely understand. They were unable to tell me anything I didn't already know, with no reason as to my account closure. To speak to someone useful I had to be put through to someone in management based in California, they were unable to put me through or give me a number to speak to management.

I had to send several emails to different listed email addresses until I got a response. Eventually I had to threaten legal action to retrieve my money as they were unable to give me a reason for closing my account. I did get a refund with a shallow apology and a 6 month 'complementary' membership, this membership ended 3 months earlier than the email stated it would. Don't waste your time and money on this site!

You cannot see when the person was last online. Disgusting search system. The administration removes all my photos without warning. Really every which do not violate the rules! A man keeps asking me to add a photo. But I can't! Although the photos are the right size, without editing, without pornography, without children.

Eharmony is one of the most miserable customer experiences I have ever had. Join Zoosk instead! We join these dating sites in search of our La La Land moment that could change our lives forever. We deserve the best possible experience in this anguishing process of hope and despair—not to be treated like suckers by a carnival barker. I don’t imagine any of these experiences is unique to any former eHarmony member, but here are my top complaints summarized.

Deceptive Price Promotion - When I joined, the basic membership offer was positioned as “two months for $69.90.” What is not clear, but apparently stated somewhere in a terms of agreement not accessible from a member’s site, is that the 2 months at $69.90 commits the member to two additional payments of $69.90 for a total of six months. Once you join, nothing can be done to cancel the additional months.

I tried modifying my card info on file to an expired card once I heard about their billing practices. They still charged me. I tried deactivating my “subscription renewal.” Doesn’t work. That’s for renewal for another six months (I’d like to meet the person who would still be unattached after six months on eHarmony, which I assume nearly everyone is, and think six more months of eHarmony is the answer.). I tried closing my account/profile. Can’t be done once you’ve paid the initial two months. You can hide your profile, which I assumed had already occurred based on the glacial movement of membership interaction. I’ve had to get my bank’s fraud department involved to recover my money—first time in 25 years as a banking customer.

Pre-bills the Additional Two Payments- To add gall to deception, eHarmony bills the two additional $69.90 payments in advance of the membership period they cover. The 2nd payment is billed 1 month in advance; the 3rd payment is billed 2 months in advance. It wouldn’t be so bad if the service were productive. That’s not my experience. More reasons to avoid eHarmony…

Routinely Serves Matches Outside of Designated Preferences- eHarmony has a feature called “What If.” It’s a feature that gives them permission to serve matches outside a member’s pre-selected preferences. I suspect they use “What If” matching anyways, because they are constantly sending matches outside my preferences to compensate for what I suspect is their meager membership. See next two points.

Limited Active Membership Engagement- While on eHarmony I created profiles on two other sites—OurTime and Zoosk. On these sites I was getting 10 to 20 profile views per day. With the same photos and content on eHarmony, I was averaging one profile view per day. Suspect Most Desirable Matches Are Inactive or Expired Members- On the rare occasion I did find a suitable match, rarely were my messages to members ever answered. Once again, I know from other sites my reply rates. The matches don’t respond because they are likely long gone.

Dated Material in Q & A- eHarmony lifted a feature from the popular dating sites allowing members to compare how they answer the same questions. I spent hours answering about 900 questions and clarifying my answers in the Comment box in many cases. Aside from most matches not bothering to answer any questions (admittedly my problem—not theirs), I eventually realized that eHarmony probably hadn’t updated the questions since 2013, because all the entertainment questions (music, movies, etc.) referenced 2013.

It’s now 2017. This organization has so little regard for their members they don’t have the willingness and/or means to keep their questions vital and relevant. This experience left me thinking... why would they treat all other aspects of site operation any differently? They fulfilled my expectation: expect the worst. I hope others don’t make the same mistake I did. If there were a 0 rating, I would give eHarmony a 0.

I registered for a free eHarmony account some time ago and after noticing I was receiving reasonable matches, I finally decided to subscribe end of January. After a few days I noticed that my matches were now hundreds of miles away and I decided to cancel about 10 days after subscribing. Navigating the site, I found I could not cancel the agreement and went on to my PayPal account and cancelled the agreement. I had already paid 47.80 for 3 months but I was happy to cancel less than a month in.

A few days ago, Paypal emailed that I had submitted a payment of 47.80 to eHarmony and I immediately contacted them to tell them I had not authorised the payment. Paypal then told me I had entered into TWO agreements with eHarmony so my cancellation on the 7th of Feb was effective on one agreement. Imagine that? Two agreements but somehow pay for only one on the first month and then when one is cancelled the other "active agreement steals your money from your account to pay for a service that you do not use and have decided to never use again.

Asked eHarmony and they first responded with an email that gave me a bogus phone number and because they are an American company, the UK staff can't help. Emailed them twice and got a snooty email saying that I put my settings as somewhat important on distance as if "somewhat" negates the importance and offering an extra month of rubbish. No explanation for double agreement but I would not be surprised if they do this to thousands of others and making a fortune doing that. I have told them to keep the money, not sure what it is paying for but I would not recommend these people. They better have closed my account as I have requested this twice. TRY SOMEWHERE ELSE.

I had registered on eHarmony and they cut payment of around five thousand rupees suddenly without pin confirmation. I have not received services also. The same members who are dormant or are dummy are there. No new members since last 2 weeks and old members don't respond. My hard earned money almost five thousand they deducted and I didn't get a ounce of service. I want this site to be banned.

Expert Review

Mark BrooksOnline Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.    More about Mark→

eHarmony is the largest dating site geared specifically towards long-term relationships and marriage minded singles. They claim to be responsible for over 500 new marriages every day in the US.

• In-depth entry questionnaire: eHarmony asks all of its members a little more than 300 multiple choice questions before allowing them to enter into their ranks. This in-depth questionnaire is geared at giving the site enough information to help provide you with qualified potential matches.
  • No Searching: In sharp contrast to other dating sites, eHarmony does not allow members to search directly for matches. Instead, it uses the answers from the questionnaire to provide you with a selection of daily matches that should be compatible with your needs and desires in a partner.
  • Guided Communication: Instead of sending off an email or wink like you would do on most sites, eHarmony takes members through 4 steps of guided communication before allowing you to continue with open communication with a new match. The guided communication is designed to help assure compatibility and that you don't waste energy on bad matches.
  • Best for People looking for long-term relationships and marriage.

Compare Online Dating Websites & Services