eHarmony
eHarmony
1.05/5

eHarmony Reviews

Los Angeles-based eharmony (www.eharmony.com) launched in the United States in 2000 with its patented Compatibility Matching System® which allows eharmony members to be matched with compatible persons with whom they are likely to enjoy a long-term relationship.

Customer Care Information:

Email Support: UserSupport@eharmony.com

Hours: 24 Hours, 7 Days a Week

Chat Support: www.eharmony.com/chat

Hours: 8am - 5pm Pacific, Monday - Friday

Refund Policy: Regarding the Singles Service, the buyer, may cancel the Agreement, without any penalty or obligation, at any time prior to midnight of the third business day following the date of Agreement, excluding Sundays and holidays.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2087 eHarmony Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I tried eHarmony for several months and did not find matches. The last time I was shown a 100% match I became really upset with eHarmony. The man was exactly the opposite of me. He liked many things which I did not. I wrote eHarmony customer service many emails to try to remedy this. At first they said that it was probably FlexMatching because they had no other matches for me. They suggested that I go to settings and change my categories to very important so that I would not receive FlexMatches. When I attempted to do this, I found that the categories in which we differed were not listed under settings. I contacted eHarmony again and they told me that the man in question was shown to me because we were both considered monogamous and altruistic. Although, these are admirable traits, they alone do not make for a good relationship. He was definitely not a 100% match.

When I asked for information about their 29 point matching system, they sent me a link which stated that they had conducted scientific research about happily married couples but that their matching points were secret so that competitors would not find out what they are. So, their matching system does not work and they hide behind secrecy so that they do not need to explain why they offer matches which are very different from what a subscriber wants. All in all, I am extremely disappointed with eHarmony and would recommend that people do not utilize their service. I consider them fraudulent. Also, after reading a review which stated that they auto billed a subscription to a person who had set his billing information to not auto bill, I changed my credit card information to a pay as you go card with only a dollar left on it so that they could not auto bill me. Then I canceled my subscription.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I spent a total of $36 to use the eHarmony dating site for six months. It has been a complete waste of money in my experience; I wish I had given the money away to some homeless person instead. First and foremost, the site has little, if any activity. Often, I am shown pictures of women who have "moved on." Those that remain are few and far between. Also, one must keep a sharp eye out for scammers. One woman who looked very attractive claimed to be 60, but in her profile clarified that she was actually 40 but couldn't alter her age on her profile. She contacted me, was too overtly sexual for my taste and wanted to communicate offline. Based upon what I've, this is often a set-up for a scam...

Years ago, I recall eHarmony used to promote themselves on television as having an algorithm that promises to match members in loving relationship. Too bad that the TV pitchman - the guy wearing a white smock, carrying a clipboard, and having a smirk on his face - wasn't still. Perhaps, then he might draw others suckers to this site to make more worthwhile... I would suggest you look elsewhere for love, and do something more rewarding with your hard earned rather than waste it on this service.

Get expert buying tips about Online Dating Sites and Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I signed at beginning of November 2018. I set my profiles as I preferred. When I contacted support because I was not getting any matches they advised me that I needed to change my preferences to be more open. I followed your advice going against what I was actually looking for in a person. I have had few responses but nothing but people over 2 to 3 hours away from my hometown. I’m not looking for a long-distance relationship. I’m looking for a relationship that is closer to my home so that maybe it will really turn into something meaningful. I contacted eHarmony and again I was chat. I was told to set my profile settings differently than what I would prefer. I feel as though eHarmony is fraudulent and their advertisement and is misleading to their customers. I have canceled my membership and I am very disappointed with their service. I think eHarmony is a scam.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

My account was set to NOT auto-renew and billed anyway. This service had modified my settings and performed an unauthorized withdraw on my bank account. I used this service for a few months and found success elsewhere. My account was deleted. Personal info deleted.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

The majority of profiles they "match" you with are people who have not been on the site in forever. It would be nice if they would bring back the "Last online" feature as otherwise you could be writing to someone who has been in a relationship for the last year. Awful experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eharmony?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

This my first time dating online and never again. One response was from a suspicious match that was immediately asking for my phone number, finally give him my phone number and after a couple hours I was getting phone calls from Romania, really? His profile says he was from New York. I noticed that their staff removed the match from the system for undisclosed reasons, soon thereafter. I do not wish to share my information with any more of their users. I asked to have my account wiped and a refund returned. I was given the runaround by both a call rep (Beth) and a supervisor and on top of that they want to charge me the balance.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

eHarmony automatically billed me because I was set up to "auto-renew" but NEVER sent a reminder, NOR a confirmation that I was charged, therefore I did not know about the charge in time to request a refund and cancel within their "3 day cancellation period". Their matches were TERRIBLE. They kept sending me 99% compatible matches but they were not even close to my type (I'm 36, educated, have a career, and active). My 'matches' were usually out of my age range by more than 10 years older or younger than me. They were also usually over 100 miles away! Completely misleading and a waste of your time, energy and money!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I joined eHarmony recently. November 2018. I paid 3 months at 40% off but the site: won't respond to my emails. My profile isn’t getting any person looking at it. Nobody talks to me and the few who has interacted only did like a short while. It feels like I’m sitting on a dead account as I’m not hearing from a soul. I’ve been on 4 other nonpaid sites with constant activity and men spoke to me Plenty. I’m very confused and feel duped. They don’t let you select your compatible matches. It is super to be matched with people 3-4-5 states away from you and Canada. I said 60 miles and upped it to 120 and I’m still getting Nebraska, Tennessee, Texas. I’m from Illinois and even the Illinois are far far away. Huge regret. I was told the site would better match you. Yes- it does but why am I driving to a faraway location when it’s not likely worth my travel. It’s any wonder I’m not hearing from anyone? It feels like a scam. Save your $$.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Do NOT sign up for auto renewal. I closed my eHarmony account four years ago and THEY’RE STILL CHARGING ME. Will not close my account by phone. And since I haven’t used the account in years, I don’t know the email address I used since I made that email address solely for use with my eHarmony account. And so I can’t close the account by phone not by email. A nightmare! California has won a class action lawsuit against eHarmony. I’ll be looking to do same from Illinois.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I had an eHaronmy account about a year ago. I canceled it and ask them to remove my profile. A relationship I had started fell through because the woman I was seeing thought I was still trolling for dates because my profile still appeared to be active. I reactivated the account and found they had left my profile active all that time, making mine a "ghost" account. There were scores of "matches" during that time. The women must have thought I was a snob for not replying to them. This appears to be how eHarmony inflates the number of accounts presented to users. Unwitting users like me are turned into shills in eHarmomy's fraudulent user-inflation scam.

I also found about 25% of accounts were "catfishers." I work for a federal agency and I've been trained to spot catfishers because they often exploit male federal employees by accusing them of sexual misconduct ("but if you give my Uncle Sasha some secrets, I'll forget about calling the police"). I found that many of the photos were "scraped" (copied) from commercial adds and magazine articles appearing online. I confirmed that by copying the profile photo and running it through Google image search (images.google.com). So if you use eHarmony, prepare to be scammed both by eHarmony and by its users.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I didn't even have the account for 24 hours and they canceled my account without notice. They did not want to give specific reasons. They also won't give me my money back. Makes no sense. I just lost $140.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

RESPOND eHarmony. RESPOND eHarmony. RESPOND eHarmony. It seems impossible to unsubscribe. They are intent on you giving up, which I ended up doing several times. That is abusing the situation. I have sent e-mails, now my account details don't work anymore, I have asked a new password to be sent and no response. And I still get those tricking emails, but hey unsubscribing from those actually worked!

So now I am paying for matches I don't get anymore. I will try to find a way to block the automatic payment but I want to have my resignation from this awful forum with (when my account still worked) the worst matches possible CONFIRMED ASAP. I do not need this. Don't make use of the situation people are in, some people may be really vulnerable, nor make it impossible to contact you, no matter what the reason is. Awful service. Please prove you are not all bad. RESPOND eHarmony. RESPOND eHarmony. RESPOND eHarmony.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Paid for a year which was stupid on my part. The matches I am getting are atrocious and there is no response from anyone. Initially I tried to initiate communication and there was zero response. I am on other paid dating sites (as well as free ones) and get communication initiated all day long. Contacted them to express my satisfaction and their response was that my fully completed profile with a full array of photos should have less selfies. Lol. I have a range of photos and as I said get response all day long on other sites. They indicated they had a satisfaction guarantee and I asked for the details and they said they would give me more time on the site. They should be ashamed of themselves. Such a disappointing scam.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I did not feel safe using their service. I received only 2 responses in the first 12 days. One response was from a suspicious match that was immediately asking for my phone number. Noticing the poor spelling and syntax, I declined the request. I noticed that their staff removed the match from the system for undisclosed reasons, soon thereafter. I do not wish to share my information with any more of their users. I asked to have my account wiped and a refund returned. I was given the run around by both a call rep (Beth) and a supervisor (Chad). The 3 day refund period is a joke. I made the mistake of purchasing a year subscription. They refused to offer a refund of any kind, not even partial. This is not professional. And it is certainly not good customer service expectations. Please do not use this service. They are only interested in getting your money.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

People please don’t waste your money. It’s not worth it. I had it for 5 days when I kept getting lots of fake profiles and the only ones that were real it was a whole bunch of perverts. I had to block like 10 people. I honestly decided to pay because I thought it would be different but honestly I’ll stick with the free apps. Now I’m stuck paying for something I’m never going to use. If I could I would give them a negative 10.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Account closed twice for bogus reasons by eHarmony, back to back, and I have not been able to use the website more than a days over the past 3 months. What a complete inconvenience and waste of my time. Here are the details: Twice, within a month or two, eHarmony shut my account down supposedly due to being hacked by a non-member. On the first occasion, approximately August 2018, I tried logging on and couldn't. There was a blue icon that said "RE-OPEN MY ACCOUNT", and I clicked on it and by god it turned from blue to green. And not only that, it would just stay green and the screen would freeze. It would not let me take further steps to re-open my account.

Since I have been in the process of buying a house 500 miles out of state since August 01, 2018, and this is an enormous task when you are doing the move yourself, both the home searching and moving things into storage out of state to later move them into the home once the home loan closes, I really didn't have time to deal with eHarmony making things difficult with re-opening my account. Before they shut the account down, they had recently extended my subscription for free due to trouble I had with a match who took advantage of me and cost me a lot of time and money, and aggravation. So they extended my subscription for free for 8 months, then shut my account down claiming it was possibly compromised. They never proved to me that it was compromised or how it was compromised. So it took a week or two of trying to contact eHarmony and get a new account started.

I had to open a new email account, which was a huge hassle, they had to send me links to get my new account started, I had to re-take the 45 minute questionnaire, do a couple of other tasks, and finally I got the new account open. I moved out of Oregon at the end of August 2018 and I used the new eHarmony account just a few times while at FedEx Office in Spokane, WA during early September 2018 while waiting for my home loan to close October 8, 2018. I was renting a house temporarily in Spokane while the home loan closed and the place did not have internet, so I had to drive 20 min to get to a FedEx Office to get online, plugging in my laptop there. The account mysteriously gets closed again. And I get the blue icon on the log in screen that says "RE-OPEN MY ACCOUNT" and again when I click on it, it turns green, that's all, and the screen freezes, just like it did before.

Now it is October 31, and I have moved into my house and have internet. I have not been able to get to my eHarmony account, but will call tomorrow. If they tell me to get a new email address again, retake the 45 minute questionnaire again, I will tell them to go screw themselves, because this is beyond unprofessional customer service. They are the ones that keep screwing me over and closing my account for some bogus reason. It's more than obvious. eHarmony has now turned into the most junked up dating site ever. It is a total disgrace to them and it is a total catastrophe. I have used eHarmony from 2005 to 2008 to meet women and have lasting relationships a year or more with them, and then again 2011 - 2013, and then from approx 2015 - 2018. The website used to have tight filters if you will, that kept both scammers and people with mental disorders from getting on the website.

Now they let all the junk on the website, and who pays the price? You and I do, meaning the good people with paid subscriptions. They should not even allow non-members to have profiles. That is the source of most of the junk. That needs to go away right now! Next, beef up the psychological profile screening so mental flakes aren't allowed to join. These two things are necessary for eHarmony to become reputable again. And if they ever get a customer service call center set up in the Philippines I will definitely kiss them good-bye forever. I am half a step away from doing that now. They have successfully and very willfully wasted my time and stolen from my personal life by erroneously closing my account twice and making it an absolute pain in the rear to re-open them.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

My account was hacked. It was taken over by a hacker who probably used a rainbow table to match my password hash. I was not notified by email that an account change was pending my email verification, it just happened. This is the weakest and worst user security policy I have EVER heard of. They do not work on Sundays so this hacker ran amok for 24 hours with me having to try and mitigate damage by messaging all my matches. Finally I got ahold of chat this morning and they could not help. Then at 2:30 I receive an email saying they had closed my account. Nothing they can do. Scorched earth for my account. So long eHarmony. This is the final straw. First you change your format and become just another expensive Tinder, and now this.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I signed up with eHarmony on around September 2018 and it has been a month and my experience with them is horrible. I get fake profiles matches sent to me indicated that they are interested in me, but when I replied, I get no respond. I had only one man communicated with me, but I doubt if he is real since he has only one picture on his profile. The rest of the matches are just ghosts. I guess I will be stuck with a contract for a few months since they wouldn’t refund to me. As they said eHarmony will continue to withdraw my money whether or not I’ll be still using the site.

I’m trying to hide my profile but they said, "Because you are a paid member, we can’t close your account." I guess they are using my profiles to target to other prospective customers as if I’m an active member. I have using other dating sites before and I get many interests but with eHarmony is like 1 to none. Will do research to find a way to get eHarmony regulated. Do not sign up with this site or you will be bored to disappointed.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Eharmony is horrible. I thought that if I joined a paid dating site, it will be better than the free ones. Man, was I wrong! The people on this site weren’t members so they couldn’t respond to messages. I got no matches, and the ones that I didn’t match were not my type. I got a multi payment subscription and I contacted customer care to cancel. But since it was a multi payment subscription I wasn’t able to. They were still going to charge me even though I wasn’t using the service anymore. Just like any other subscription, I should be able to cancel if I’m not using it anymore, right? Wrong! Not with them. This site is a total joke. Stay away!

Dear Michelle,

I'm sorry to hear you have been unhappy with eharmony so far. Please know that members without a subscription can view profiles, send/receive smiles and questions. We do hold back viewing photos and reading/responding to text mssgs for subscribed members only. Regarding your matches, I'd be happy to take a look at your account to see what we can do to improve matching for you. Please email us from the address on your account at membercare@eharmony.com and reference this review.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I joined so I can find quality Polish men. Because I am Polish and proud. I love my ethnicity and I want to marry the same kind. You can't even search for someone that is Polish. It's either **... Indian... **. What about like our nationality??? That's so important to me and eHarmony failed. For what it's worth, I will be deleting my account.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

In general, every online dating site scams consumers and eHarmony is no exception. Join for free? Sure, except you can't really do anything. But eHarmony and the rest do that to pad their user base. Read the other reviews and you will see a common complaint is that people don't respond. Why, because they are not paid subscribers or their profiles are old and outdated and these folks are no longer looking. What about eHarmony's revolutionary "matching" system. Pure crap! I have been matched with people whose values and beliefs are way off. Think Trump supporter vs. Progressive values. It seems impossible to meet people the old way, in real life, but sites like eHarmony gives people false hope. This simply is garbage the way they run their company. P.S.: Do not leave any negative feedback on eHarmony's Facebook page: you will be blocked.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I joined eHarmony for three months. I answered, I believe, 1,000 questions, their max, which took a great deal of time; I hoped I would be presented with matches that would truly correspond with my beliefs and interests. In my opening statement (profile) I stated that I have been a vegetarian for 40 years. Why did I then receive many suggestions of matches to men who chose in their profile picture to display the huge fish they caught, at some time? I had another suggestion for a man whose profile picture showed him hunting. What?

I discovered that most men participating in eHarmony (if they are even real) would write a profile but not bother to answer ANY questions, so any matching was really random. This was a disappointment, and a waste of time. When I did respond to a profile, which was rare, I got a notice from eHarmony that the individual had "moved on." I hope my picture, profile and answers are still not floating in eHarmony for possible respondents to learn that I have "moved on", if they seek to meet me.

Dear Janet,

I'm sorry to hear your experience has not been the best. I do want to clear up some confusion. We match based on the Relationship Questionnaire taken when you register and Match Preferences. The questions you answered on the QA tab as well as the information in your Profile are not used for matching. They are means for you and your matches to know each other.

You can reach out to us at membercare@eharmony.com. Please write from the email address on your eharmony account.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I hadn’t been active on the site because of a family trauma. When I went to become active again I discovered that I had been locked out the whole time even though they were still charging me monthly. I have no hope of getting any kind of credit for this after reading the reviews here. I just hope my experience can save someone else. Be sure to cancel right away after whatever free period if you are not entirely satisfied. They will not give refunds. And sadly their money-grubbing attitude means you are unlikely to get many matches. And frankly, I’d be worried about only meeting scammers or dupes at this point. By the way, when I was active I did have a scammer try to learn things like my mother’s maiden name and such. I confess it took me a bit to realize that someone claiming to be an Englishman was using a kind of usage and grammar that indicated that English was not his (or her?!?) first language. Be careful about what you share.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

eHarmony has often been touted as one of the best sites out there to possibly meet and marry your future spouse. The testimonials they give are endless. However, this review is not about that. In 2010 I started using their services. By 2012, I had gone on a few dates but they were small and roughly about 2 a year. Wanting to try something different, I asked eHarmony to permanently delete my account. They talked me into spending less money per month and said "things take time." By late 2012, I had permanently deleted my account as I felt I was wasting time and money.

In 2013, around October, I decided to give it a go again. By 2015, I had been on 2 dates. No one I met had clicked with me. Or I with them and each time we mutually decided to call it a day. By August 2018, I had emailed quite a few matches, etc. Very few ever responded and 2015 was the last date I actually went on from someone from eHarmony. So, I asked them for a refund. Hoping that I could maybe get this year's charges refunded. They refused and instead offered me 3 free months. I did not want free months and told them so. They said they couldn't refund me anything and I then simply asked them to delete my account; something they still have not achieved at the time of this writing.

I've spent a lot of money on this site. Losses of over 1k. At this point, if I saved all the money I could have invested it. Relationships are hard and at this point I'd rather meet in person. I'm not mad at eHarmony that I don't have a spouse by now, etc. I'm mad because each time I asked them to cancel they refused. Barely responded to my emails and I had to threaten a lawsuit to get them to delete my account; which still hasn't been deleted. For a website that upholds relationships as valuable, these guys can't even give quality customer service. And I find that most disheartening.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I have been a paid member of eHarmony since the beginning of November 2017 -- a one-year subscription. Every day I write to the interesting profile and "What If" profiles that interest me (3 to 6 daily). In this entire time, not one "real" person has written back, every message has been from a scammer. I joined eHarmony because in 2008, I found a partner through the website however she moved abroad and ended our relationship - sadly. In those days, the system worked because only serious people were using it because eHarmony implemented a three-step process of questions before open communication, so anyone who worked through that with you had 1) learned something about you, and 2) invested some time in getting to know a little about you --- in other words, they were serious about finding a date.

In the new system, open communication is possible immediately, through the canned questions, and the only communications I have had have been from scammers -- they give their email or phone and soon after that ask for a plane ticket or money for their dying relative, etc. eHarmony uses its members to identify scammers, and so the site is dominated by phony profiles with one picture, maybe two, and profiles with barely a sentence describing themselves. I called eHarmony several times to ask about these problems, and their reply was that they would not allow me to "manipulate their system" to get more dates. Well, zero is the number of dates that eHarmony has introduced to me --- it does not get worse than this. The eHarmony online dating system has failed, and I recommend saving your money for other ways to meet a life partner.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I joined to meet people around my age (58). I completed the lengthy profile and loaded the recommended number of photos. 100% profile completion. The first couple of days I received a few matches and then apparently I went through them all. I called and was told my preferences were too restrictive. I explained I did not want to open the restrictions to receive matches I did not want. They explained it could minimize the number of matches I would get, but they did offer me an additional free month for my time which is why I gave a two star rating.

I do get one or two match recommendations once a week typically. However, the most recent one was from Roatan, Honduras...NOT within my preferences. I do get many “What If” matches (I think this is code for “What if” you are feeling desperate) every other day or so thrown out there to let me know they haven’t quite given up on me. I signed up for a year because I realize it’s a numbers game, but I am not satisfied with a company who asks me to adjust my preferences...to settle for mediocrity. I can do that on my own if I wanted to do that. “What If”...

Dear Michelle,

Thank you for your feedback. We do want to honor the preferences you've chosen, but the more restrictive ("very important", narrow ranges) the setting, the harder it is to find you matches. We do recommend keeping an open mind on settings and trying to be a little flexible. You can always close out a match that doesn't interest you. Please email us at membercare@eharmony.com from the address on your eharmony account and I'll be happy to see if there's anything we can do to help.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I joined eHarmony at the beginning of August. They advertise the compatibility test, up to 5 matches a day (so little so you can focus on just those matches), they tell you to be completely honest and to think about all your answers in order for you to receive the best matches for you. In the 1 month that I've been a member I've received a total of approx 8 matches. I got matches the first 2 days then 1 a week and now maybe 1 every 2 weeks if any at all! I told them I want a refund, I'm paying for a service that is not being provided.

They told me to change my match settings preference to allow more matches, said I should change things like my religious beliefs so they can find me more matches. So first you tell me be honest so we can give you the best possible matches and now you tell me to change what I really want so they can find more matches. No thank you. Things like religious beliefs are very important to me and I'm not about to compromise on that stuff. After being a member for 1 month I felt that I had given it sufficient time to see if it would get better. They told me there was a 3 day return policy. Well the first 3 days were great, it was after that that the service was not provided anymore. In the end they refused to give me my money back. Not worth my money at all.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

An "Incognito" button appears below left. When the user looks a button pops up stating "YES I WANT IT" without notification of the $24.99 charge the consumer is about to immediately receive. Thus once activated eHarmony charges $24.99 to your credit card. No warning, no popup, no banner, no carrier pigeon, text, or email. Just a flat out deceptive charge. Eharmony fails to provide prior notice to consumers prior to the action and is engaging in deceptive business tactics. I have decided to retain legal counsel and file a Class Action on behalf of all eHarmony users who have been misled by the "INCOGNITO" button and the hidden charge.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I rejoined after a very long hiatus because of the deep discount they offered for only $9.95 a month. Beforehand I recall they required the 29-point "matching" preference that included age and location, but nowhere did I answer any 29 questions, including the age or location preference. Just a few pages asking about my Likes and Dislikes on a 1-5 point scale over meeting someone, dating someone, and my marriage objectives. And each login to check for messages the Age section defaulted to 35-65, not at all my range of 40-55. I messaged their customer service 3-times and received no response. I canceled my subscription immediately. Sorry, but nobody deals with crap customer service on an overpriced dating site, with too many better competitors out there.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I have been a loyal eHarmony customer for over 6 years. A couple years ago they gave me a stellar monthly auto renewal rate once I reached the age of 65. Recently, they said my account was "compromised", and they deleted my account, mail, and my matches. I had to create a new account from scratch with a new email, once approved, I was back up and running. Here's the kicker - they said my cheap rate was no longer available - and hit me with a price increase! I am standing by the fact that I believe they shut my account down just to hit me with the new rate! Unacceptable! They said my old rate was no longer available! Nice business strategy!

eharmony expert review by Mark Brooks

eHarmony is the largest dating site geared specifically towards long-term relationships and marriage minded singles. They claim to be responsible for over 500 new marriages every day in the US.

• In-depth entry questionnaire: eHarmony asks all of its members a little more than 300 multiple choice questions before allowing them to enter into their ranks. This in-depth questionnaire is geared at giving the site enough information to help provide you with qualified potential matches.

• No Searching: In sharp contrast to other dating sites, eHarmony does not allow members to search directly for matches. Instead, it uses the answers from the questionnaire to provide you with a selection of daily matches that should be compatible with your needs and desires in a partner.

• Guided Communication: Instead of sending off an email or wink like you would do on most sites, eHarmony takes members through 4 steps of guided communication before allowing you to continue with open communication with a new match. The guided communication is designed to help assure compatibility and that you don't waste energy on bad matches.

• Best for: People looking for long-term relationships and marriage.

Profile picture of Mark Brooks
Mark Brooks Online Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.

eHarmony Company Information