eHarmony
  • 1 star
Based on 141 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

eHarmony

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 7, 2017

1930 eHarmony Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I received a special offer for 3 months @ $9.99 per month. I thought more quality would be on this website since it cost money, and as the television ad says, the members would be more invested in honest relationships. I believe they never take down profiles from those who have terminated their memberships. I never got any response from anyone that I contacted. One gentleman that I did meet had his profile removed for a reason he was not aware of. Probably a scammer hijacked his profile. I got a few matches in the beginning of my membership, then nothing until it was time to renew. (I cancelled auto-renew).

Overall, I have never met a match and if by some miracle one gets through to customer service, the response is always something wrong with my profile. They have also changed their format, which makes it no different from any other dating site. I hate to use the word scam, but I believe it applies here. I have more luck going to happy hours or the golf course. They need to be investigated. Plus, the owner has claims to religious affiliation. I believe they refuse membership to gays. This should be checked out.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Stay away from eHarmony!! Their matches are too far away. Most are not members and cannot respond to your emails. They don't allow you to search for your own mates and they pick them for you. That's lame.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I signed up with eHarmony a month ago thinking that it would have better safety filters for single women than Match.com. First, before I signed up I received a lot of matches, then after I signed up, I hardly got matches and all of them were really unattractive - really! And not within any of my parameters (age, distance, education). When I complained, they said to change to "not important at all" but I got nothing better. Lucky me, the only "match" who responded were total scams and I complained to have them removed. I thought I had to change my profile and I did. Nothing at all. No activity at all. ZERO! I am an attractive and sexy woman. It is really not worth the $150 I am paying. DO NOT SIGN UP. You have a better chance to meet anyone at the local supermarket or at the local dump. How do these people get away with doing this kind of business. They prey on people's emotion and vulnerability. DO NOT SIGN UP!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

Horrible customer service. I’ve been trying to cancel for weeks. First, they shut down my account, then claimed they reopened it. Not so. They are still billing me monthly and sending “matches.” If my account is closed, how can I get “matches”? This company should be shut down immediately.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I only used TV advertisements to make my decision on what dating site to sign up with. I signed up for 6 months. I didn't get any responses except one person that was 12 years below my bottom age parameter and the wrong ethnicity. I emailed them 5 different times and they said it was my fault because my parameters were too strict. I then changed to 300 miles away but didn't help. No matches. I changed it to the entire USA. Nothing! I asked how many people were signed up to eHarmony in my area or in the state... no response. I asked for my money back! No response. I am very angry at them! Don't use them!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eHarmony.com?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I signed up during the so called free weekend; however, all facts weren't presented that if you don't pay you would not be able to see the so called match. Immediately after signing up I got at least 10 matches. Full of false expectation I paid the subscription but turned out the matches weren't as my filter submitted, e.g. education. After few days I got a bad feeling that this matches could be fabricated to induce me. I sent email and called to cancel but too late beyond 72 hr window I was told. Almost 2.5 months now all mediocre quality matches presented. I lost hope and this company should have all customers forewarned. They just playing on people emotion. Unless you have plenty of $$ to waste...do not fall into this free weekend deals! Their ads stating matches success during free weekend not true at all... No one can meet the other seeing face to face unless you spent money!! For seniors this is really bad impacts. Customers BEWARE!!!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Last time I checked most businesses will refund a customer if they are not satisfied with the product. How does eHarmony get away with taking folks hard earned $ with nothing given in return? How has the BBB not been able to do something with this fraud “company”. No results, no progress, zero for the money I spent. A big crock of …

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Something suspicious about their sign up procedure. They say I have registered before with all 3 of my email addresses. I know this isn't true, so they must own other dating sites where I might have registered. I guessed at the passwords I regularly use, they don't work. So I asked to have them reset the password but they won't do it unless you know the zip code of the matching email address. I have moved 4 times in the past several years so I have no idea which zip codes match what. They don't seem to have customer service people so it's impossible to sign up. I don't like companies that don't provide customer support, especially when money is involved!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I have been on eHarmony for 3 months and have had very few connections and now one of those is a scam. I had already been scammed on Match.com and now eHarmony as I think they look for woman over 60 to go after. I knew better than to continue with this fake profile but these companies who charge an arm and a leg for their program should be shut down as they are simply a rip off. It is so sad that all the sites are now infected with scammers. I am done with online dating forever!! Don't let them take your money. Just say NO.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I signed up again after a negative experience last year. Back then I was dissatisfied with the product and customer service. Customer service refused to refund my money after only a few days. I thought maybe there would be some improvement, but there isn't. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Years ago I tried this a couple of times. The first time I thoughtfully completed the survey and bio. A second time I used a new identity and straight-lined all 1's and all 5's for most questions. Most of the same matches came up... the infamous algorithm isn't worth a dime. Dear Dr. Warren, your product is a piece of junk. If you want me, I'll be crying in my beer, and telling all my friends about it.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I was on eHarmony for 2.5-3 years about 10 years ago and had 600 to 700 so-called matches. Which did not ever turn into a meeting much less a date. They are totally non-responsive in their customer service and will not do anything to ensure customer satisfaction. They just try to coax people to stay longer on their site and be prisoners of hope. Their matching process is questionable (bogus?, fraudulent?). I received matches that were quite incompatible and very few within a 3-hour drive of my home. Most were a day or more away. To put it simply, they SUCK nothing but a rip-off. Save your money and your time. Have nothing to do with this ** show.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

After filling out my profile and waiting a few days I had zero matches. They canceled my account so I could no longer log in and refunded my money. I see a lot of complaints about people wanting money back. Why they wouldn't accept me as a customer is even more insulting.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Being recently single, and interested in meeting a guy I had signed onto OkCupid for awhile, but felt that I wanted to meet with people of higher quality - more professional, more educated. I'd heard about eHarmony and my impression was that they were better at screening and I was likely to meet more quality people there. I got a 6 month subscription and am now almost three months into it. To my surprise this expensive service is very poor and nothing like advertised. It seems to me the quality of people there are not any better than the free site, and the amount of scammers is perhaps even higher -- which is a lot! I did end up messaging back and forth with one guy who seemed pretty well educated and respectable and eventually even he turned out to be a dishonest and sleazy person.

I got such a bad feeling from all of the guys I talked to there, I was really surprised. It seems like eHarmony offers the bottom of the barrel. I regret spending the money on this service and I also regret the time I put into it and wasted. I would recommend that people steer clear of this service entirely. I would go with one of the free sites or perhaps even Match.com before this one. At least "Match" has a larger volume of people to choose from. It seemed to me that very few of the profiles eHarmony sends you way are even active; eHarmony keeps you from knowing when the person was last on the forum, which is entirely underhanded. I would just sum up my feelings by saying: stay away from this site if you value your time, money and your safety. Some of these guys even struck me as dangerous.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I joined because I know a board member and I trust him. I'm extremely disappointed in the site, not just because of the low quality results, which says it's not really matching based on any measure of compatibility. So what if I like dogs, so does just about everyone else. I keep getting fraudulent hit after fraudulent hit and how you can spot them is to do an image lookup on Google! Most of the fraudsters just clip public photos from Facebook. I couldn't be further from impressed by this site and I'd recommend staying away. It would take so little for them to verify identities when people sign up, but they don't. Stay away from this scam. I'm surprised they haven't been sued.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

This was my first experience with eHarmony. Every match they sent me was either a scammer where they kept deleting matches after I had made contact, they were too far away or the men would say hello and nothing else. All the men I tried emailing would make first contact but were not serious about meeting or talking. I paid for this service and tried to contact eHarmony but cannot get a response. I want a refund. They are not what they say they are. I actually have gotten more results from cheaper sites and free sites.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

How could one trust that eHarmony cared, knowing their ratings are at the bottom. I am canceling. Every time I like a match, I get 'this person is not able to participate,' or something of the sort. I actually have had fraud on my bank account from them, the site is so slow (you'd think the fees from us alone would pay for speed, storage and upgrades for them). We do all the work, writing about ourselves, giving hackers more leverage. I was charged around $24 because I accidentally bumped 'incognito', of which I keep searching MY memory... did I see an 'incognito' button, let alone any $$? NO. For the time I have spent, money, NOT feeling comfortable... Oh, one would think it's a scam. And I have been inundated with new trash email. No thank you! A great idea gone bad, unfortunately.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I am so frustrated with my eHarmony experience that I feel I could write a short story on why no one should ever use their services/site. This is nothing more than a means to make money, end of story. Like so many who have submitted reviews, I feel eHarmony is a scam on a grand scale. I too have been "matched" with those I have zero in common with, etc. I was contacted within 2 days by someone who seemed to be legit, only to never hear from them again after a brief conversation. Also, like others I have yet to receive the first response from anyone I have sent an eHarmony "smile". This could be because all of the matches I've received are well out of the range I chose. I also question if the matches are even real.

In the beginning you get 5-6 "matches" daily, now within a 3 week period I receive one a day. This singular match does NOT live in the same state or, is hundreds of miles away if they are in the same state. In other words the commercials touting how eHarmony has such a great success rate must be a huge lie too. How can you truly date someone who lives hundreds of miles from you? What is the possibility of meeting this person? I would say a huge improbability. The one saving grace I have is seeing that others are as dissatisfied as I am, which should not bring anyone comfort!

EHarmony should not be allowed to continue this current practice of taking your money & not supplying the service they claim as their success story. I for one do not feel my experience could ever been seen as anything other scammed, disappointed & taken for $300. There should be recourse to stop this sort of unscrupulous company/website taking unsuspecting consumers for a ride. I had no idea I was signing for such a disappointment. eHarmony does not deliver and, for this reason even a prorated refund should be expected and, received. My advice: BUYER BEWARE.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Many problems but the biggest is how eHarmony HIDES from the clients. Next big problem is 95% of the losers on there are scam artists. Not interested. I will be filing complaints with the BBB and the FTC. eHarmony is a JOKE.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I've been on eHarmony for several years because I'm very busy with work don't have time to social. I'm always a loyal paying customer to eHarmony for years. There are too many scammers on eHarmony. One scammer tried to scam me and didn't work because I'm too smart for that. I texted her back (via eHarmony site) said she is a scammer. Only one text message to her. Then eHarmony closed my account as well as scammer's account. I contacted eHarmony many times and no response from them. I already paid my membership already & lost my subscription money.

I'm well educated, graduated from Stanford with top grades. I'm bitterly disappointed. Anyone wants to join eHarmony should read this. I'm been a loyal support for many years. Now I realized eHarmony just want money, doesn't really care about you as a person. I still want my eHarmony account back, only because I have a few good matches, I want to find out more. Also right now my previous matches probably think (falsely) I'm a scammer and a liar that's why eHarmony closed my account. I'm definitely a nice person not a scammer. I feel so, so sorry for my previous matches, because they must be bitterly disappointment.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

As you can read from the title, eHarmony is super sneaky. I deactivated my account about a year ago from today August 31, 2017, and they just tried to charge me $80.83 to pay a subscription I did not authorize. Luckily I caught it today (which is the first day I saw the charge. It was not there yesterday) and I spoke to some guy with a thick country accent (who didn't even know how to spell). HE TRIED TO GET ME TO IGNORE THE CHARGE AND KEEP PAYING!!! My experience before this was just as bad. The entire website is A JOKE! eHarmony is the worst dating site I EVER tried and the people when you call them are rude! I am royally pissed! Would not recommend to anyone!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

eHarmony claims that their goal is to match you to the perfect one. When you sign up there are settings to choose from including age, religion, distance, etc. You then are given a series of questions which I guess after talking to customer service are just for fun and you did not have to complete them. However, it does not say that anywhere, so I spent a lot of time completing them (about 900). Then I get my matches. A few local ones, and then there were a few located in Nova Scotia, 11 hours away from me, and in fact a majority of my matches were coming from Canada because according to match I was not being flexible. So, I became flexible with my age, and then religion. However, if I am Catholic, my goal is to marry someone who will want a wedding in a church, and to go to church so I thought no. I am not going to change my religion. If I stuck to the hour distance they kept sending emails to be more flexible.

The worst part was my profile. When I viewed it was displaying pictures I had either deleted or never posted, one was from my phone. I sent numerous screen shots daily to their department. I asked everyday for a refund because I said the site is misleading, the technical issues are severe, and the matches are insane. I cannot travel to DC on a daily basis to have a relationship. It is 6 hours away, wear on my car, and I would have spend money on a hotel. If I went to Canada I would need a passport, and did you ever think if I had children if an ex would ever allow them to leave the country? If you show me people from Canada why stop there, add on people from the UK and Ireland. Someone must need a Visa. Now the questions, while some are good, others are silly. "Were you suspended in high school", I am 45, really? Leave that one for the 20 year olds.

The interesting thing is on their dating question tips of what not to ask on a date, those same ones are on their questions. It takes you two hours to complete them, and when you think you are done, you go to a profile, and you run into questions you have not seen before. You answer their questions, but nothing happens. You are supposed to see their response, again another technical issue. Even Match, which is a gross site, and I lasted like two weeks on it had their site together. You saw what you saw. The other thing is, no one responds back, Match has a "No thank you," this site nothing, just a hide or block. Why not say no thanks and move on. It is easier. It is also annoying because they send you about 5 matches a day, they say they don't want to send them all at once. Why not, so send what is out there, and let me decide for myself.

However, based on the technical issues of my profile not displaying correctly, the matches not displaying correctly, and sending me matches 11 hours away from a foreign country, I demanded my money back, and they said they are sending it. The site is a scam. You would have better luck looking up an old signal high school friend on Facebook, at least you know everything on the site is accurate. The best response I did get from customer service was when I told them I had a Canadian profile in French. They responded have them write it in English, are you daft? They live in Canada, they speak French, I have no right to ask him to speak English. That is someone who has not been to Canada. Skip this site. You will not find love here.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

As soon as you sign up, you have to pay to see even the pictures of the matches. Such a money scam and my first question from a member who I couldn't even see was "Do you believe in pre-marital sex?" One might as well join Craigslist for free and get the same men. I've never seen a dating site with all grayed out photos until you pay. eHarmony needs to go away...

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

The way it was explained I thought I was signing up for one month, if you are going to sign up for this service or any dating service BEWARE because it is very confusing. I only had this service for 5 days and cancelled it, I had no contacts that I was interested in and those I thought I would like to meet was not interested in me.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

This is the worst dating site ever! Don't believe their lies! They will trick you into a membership you can not cancel for a year! They will charge you way too much for lame matches! Not enough people use it because it sucks and is way too expensive. So basically you end up with a bunch overweight, ** balding old guys. So good luck with that! I'm thinking of reporting them to the BBB for false advertisement. And when you actually want to get rid of your profile there is no way to actually do it. It's not like other sites where you can just delete your info, easily and simply. I had to literally go through everything I had written line by line and attempt to delete. Some items were just impossible to delete. This site really does suck! You would be really lucky if you actually met someone on this site worth spending time with.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

eHarmony seems to be something it is not. I took subscription and never got one response until my subscription was due again then some handsome man messages me, says he is in Real Estate. So am I. So I checked him out and he does not exist, this was E-Harmony's way of getting me to sign up for another 3 months for $119.00. This is the biggest fraud/scam going. This company needs to be investigated and sued.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I was matched with some kind of scary guys. There were instances of professional men lying about marital status, or significant health issues. And I don't know why the predominance on EHarmony, but it was definitely more prevalent than on Match.com.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I am 54, and I was hoping to meet someone who, through filling out answers to eHarmony questions, would be suitable for and have values and common interests like mine. I did not find a lot of the questions asking about the fundamental core of who I am and therefore that was the same for the men's profiles I was matched with as being so called compatible. I simply found this site superficial and that it was like meeting someone in a bar, except in a written meeting site.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I was matched with a man my total opposite. I felt like I had been pimped out. After taking on the computer for days. We exchanged phone numbers. On the first call the conversation from him quickly turned to sex talk. The more I objected the more he talked. I cut off conversation and reported him. Absolutely nothing was done. His profile was never taken off. I was so upset I stopped payment to site.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I signed up with eHarmony for 6 months. After 2 months I only had 3 people send me messages and I immediately received an email from eHarmony each time stating that my matches account has been closed for fraudulent or compromised activity and then my account was hacked and had to be closed. I did at least get my money back.

My latest match was from someone stating he met his match but his friend who is not on eHarmony saw my profile on his computer and wanted to try to connect us. He had a California phone number but claimed to have recently relocated to Florida. Originally from Poland moved here after wife died of cancer, owns his own business, very honest, caring, romantic blah blah blah. Knew all the right things to say. He actually sent me pictures and when I ran them through Google images (image finder) his picture came up on a German romance scammer website. I called him on it and had a big blow out. I don't believe eHarmony does enough to protect their clients. Not worth the aggravation and heartache.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

It is a joke. Despite paying for months they kept saying they could not find any matches for me. Joined on a few separate occasions. Left me wondering if these things are just a scam.

eHarmony.com expert review by Mark Brooks

eHarmony is the largest dating site geared specifically towards long-term relationships and marriage minded singles. They claim to be responsible for over 500 new marriages every day in the US.

• In-depth entry questionnaire: eHarmony asks all of its members a little more than 300 multiple choice questions before allowing them to enter into their ranks. This in-depth questionnaire is geared at giving the site enough information to help provide you with qualified potential matches.

• No Searching: In sharp contrast to other dating sites, eHarmony does not allow members to search directly for matches. Instead, it uses the answers from the questionnaire to provide you with a selection of daily matches that should be compatible with your needs and desires in a partner.

• Guided Communication: Instead of sending off an email or wink like you would do on most sites, eHarmony takes members through 4 steps of guided communication before allowing you to continue with open communication with a new match. The guided communication is designed to help assure compatibility and that you don't waste energy on bad matches.

• Best for: People looking for long-term relationships and marriage.

Profile picture of Mark Brooks
Mark Brooks

Online Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.

eHarmony Company Information