1.24/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

eHarmony

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 16, 2017

1919 eHarmony Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

After filling out my profile and waiting a few days I had zero matches. They canceled my account so I could no longer log in and refunded my money. I see a lot of complaints about people wanting money back. Why they wouldn't accept me as a customer is even more insulting.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Being recently single, and interested in meeting a guy I had signed onto OkCupid for awhile, but felt that I wanted to meet with people of higher quality - more professional, more educated. I'd heard about eHarmony and my impression was that they were better at screening and I was likely to meet more quality people there. I got a 6 month subscription and am now almost three months into it. To my surprise this expensive service is very poor and nothing like advertised. It seems to me the quality of people there are not any better than the free site, and the amount of scammers is perhaps even higher -- which is a lot! I did end up messaging back and forth with one guy who seemed pretty well educated and respectable and eventually even he turned out to be a dishonest and sleazy person.

I got such a bad feeling from all of the guys I talked to there, I was really surprised. It seems like eHarmony offers the bottom of the barrel. I regret spending the money on this service and I also regret the time I put into it and wasted. I would recommend that people steer clear of this service entirely. I would go with one of the free sites or perhaps even Match.com before this one. At least "Match" has a larger volume of people to choose from. It seemed to me that very few of the profiles eHarmony sends you way are even active; eHarmony keeps you from knowing when the person was last on the forum, which is entirely underhanded. I would just sum up my feelings by saying: stay away from this site if you value your time, money and your safety. Some of these guys even struck me as dangerous.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I joined because I know a board member and I trust him. I'm extremely disappointed in the site, not just because of the low quality results, which says it's not really matching based on any measure of compatibility. So what if I like dogs, so does just about everyone else. I keep getting fraudulent hit after fraudulent hit and how you can spot them is to do an image lookup on Google! Most of the fraudsters just clip public photos from Facebook. I couldn't be further from impressed by this site and I'd recommend staying away. It would take so little for them to verify identities when people sign up, but they don't. Stay away from this scam. I'm surprised they haven't been sued.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

This was my first experience with eHarmony. Every match they sent me was either a scammer where they kept deleting matches after I had made contact, they were too far away or the men would say hello and nothing else. All the men I tried emailing would make first contact but were not serious about meeting or talking. I paid for this service and tried to contact eHarmony but cannot get a response. I want a refund. They are not what they say they are. I actually have gotten more results from cheaper sites and free sites.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

How could one trust that eHarmony cared, knowing their ratings are at the bottom. I am canceling. Every time I like a match, I get 'this person is not able to participate,' or something of the sort. I actually have had fraud on my bank account from them, the site is so slow (you'd think the fees from us alone would pay for speed, storage and upgrades for them). We do all the work, writing about ourselves, giving hackers more leverage. I was charged around $24 because I accidentally bumped 'incognito', of which I keep searching MY memory... did I see an 'incognito' button, let alone any $$? NO. For the time I have spent, money, NOT feeling comfortable... Oh, one would think it's a scam. And I have been inundated with new trash email. No thank you! A great idea gone bad, unfortunately.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eHarmony.com?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I am so frustrated with my eHarmony experience that I feel I could write a short story on why no one should ever use their services/site. This is nothing more than a means to make money, end of story. Like so many who have submitted reviews, I feel eHarmony is a scam on a grand scale. I too have been "matched" with those I have zero in common with, etc. I was contacted within 2 days by someone who seemed to be legit, only to never hear from them again after a brief conversation. Also, like others I have yet to receive the first response from anyone I have sent an eHarmony "smile". This could be because all of the matches I've received are well out of the range I chose. I also question if the matches are even real.

In the beginning you get 5-6 "matches" daily, now within a 3 week period I receive one a day. This singular match does NOT live in the same state or, is hundreds of miles away if they are in the same state. In other words the commercials touting how eHarmony has such a great success rate must be a huge lie too. How can you truly date someone who lives hundreds of miles from you? What is the possibility of meeting this person? I would say a huge improbability. The one saving grace I have is seeing that others are as dissatisfied as I am, which should not bring anyone comfort!

EHarmony should not be allowed to continue this current practice of taking your money & not supplying the service they claim as their success story. I for one do not feel my experience could ever been seen as anything other scammed, disappointed & taken for $300. There should be recourse to stop this sort of unscrupulous company/website taking unsuspecting consumers for a ride. I had no idea I was signing for such a disappointment. eHarmony does not deliver and, for this reason even a prorated refund should be expected and, received. My advice: BUYER BEWARE.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Many problems but the biggest is how eHarmony HIDES from the clients. Next big problem is 95% of the losers on there are scam artists. Not interested. I will be filing complaints with the BBB and the FTC. eHarmony is a JOKE.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I've been on eHarmony for several years because I'm very busy with work don't have time to social. I'm always a loyal paying customer to eHarmony for years. There are too many scammers on eHarmony. One scammer tried to scam me and didn't work because I'm too smart for that. I texted her back (via eHarmony site) said she is a scammer. Only one text message to her. Then eHarmony closed my account as well as scammer's account. I contacted eHarmony many times and no response from them. I already paid my membership already & lost my subscription money.

I'm well educated, graduated from Stanford with top grades. I'm bitterly disappointed. Anyone wants to join eHarmony should read this. I'm been a loyal support for many years. Now I realized eHarmony just want money, doesn't really care about you as a person. I still want my eHarmony account back, only because I have a few good matches, I want to find out more. Also right now my previous matches probably think (falsely) I'm a scammer and a liar that's why eHarmony closed my account. I'm definitely a nice person not a scammer. I feel so, so sorry for my previous matches, because they must be bitterly disappointment.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

As you can read from the title, eHarmony is super sneaky. I deactivated my account about a year ago from today August 31, 2017, and they just tried to charge me $80.83 to pay a subscription I did not authorize. Luckily I caught it today (which is the first day I saw the charge. It was not there yesterday) and I spoke to some guy with a thick country accent (who didn't even know how to spell). HE TRIED TO GET ME TO IGNORE THE CHARGE AND KEEP PAYING!!! My experience before this was just as bad. The entire website is A JOKE! eHarmony is the worst dating site I EVER tried and the people when you call them are rude! I am royally pissed! Would not recommend to anyone!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

eHarmony claims that their goal is to match you to the perfect one. When you sign up there are settings to choose from including age, religion, distance, etc. You then are given a series of questions which I guess after talking to customer service are just for fun and you did not have to complete them. However, it does not say that anywhere, so I spent a lot of time completing them (about 900). Then I get my matches. A few local ones, and then there were a few located in Nova Scotia, 11 hours away from me, and in fact a majority of my matches were coming from Canada because according to match I was not being flexible. So, I became flexible with my age, and then religion. However, if I am Catholic, my goal is to marry someone who will want a wedding in a church, and to go to church so I thought no. I am not going to change my religion. If I stuck to the hour distance they kept sending emails to be more flexible.

The worst part was my profile. When I viewed it was displaying pictures I had either deleted or never posted, one was from my phone. I sent numerous screen shots daily to their department. I asked everyday for a refund because I said the site is misleading, the technical issues are severe, and the matches are insane. I cannot travel to DC on a daily basis to have a relationship. It is 6 hours away, wear on my car, and I would have spend money on a hotel. If I went to Canada I would need a passport, and did you ever think if I had children if an ex would ever allow them to leave the country? If you show me people from Canada why stop there, add on people from the UK and Ireland. Someone must need a Visa. Now the questions, while some are good, others are silly. "Were you suspended in high school", I am 45, really? Leave that one for the 20 year olds.

The interesting thing is on their dating question tips of what not to ask on a date, those same ones are on their questions. It takes you two hours to complete them, and when you think you are done, you go to a profile, and you run into questions you have not seen before. You answer their questions, but nothing happens. You are supposed to see their response, again another technical issue. Even Match, which is a gross site, and I lasted like two weeks on it had their site together. You saw what you saw. The other thing is, no one responds back, Match has a "No thank you," this site nothing, just a hide or block. Why not say no thanks and move on. It is easier. It is also annoying because they send you about 5 matches a day, they say they don't want to send them all at once. Why not, so send what is out there, and let me decide for myself.

However, based on the technical issues of my profile not displaying correctly, the matches not displaying correctly, and sending me matches 11 hours away from a foreign country, I demanded my money back, and they said they are sending it. The site is a scam. You would have better luck looking up an old signal high school friend on Facebook, at least you know everything on the site is accurate. The best response I did get from customer service was when I told them I had a Canadian profile in French. They responded have them write it in English, are you daft? They live in Canada, they speak French, I have no right to ask him to speak English. That is someone who has not been to Canada. Skip this site. You will not find love here.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

As soon as you sign up, you have to pay to see even the pictures of the matches. Such a money scam and my first question from a member who I couldn't even see was "Do you believe in pre-marital sex?" One might as well join Craigslist for free and get the same men. I've never seen a dating site with all grayed out photos until you pay. eHarmony needs to go away...

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

The way it was explained I thought I was signing up for one month, if you are going to sign up for this service or any dating service BEWARE because it is very confusing. I only had this service for 5 days and cancelled it, I had no contacts that I was interested in and those I thought I would like to meet was not interested in me.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

This is the worst dating site ever! Don't believe their lies! They will trick you into a membership you can not cancel for a year! They will charge you way too much for lame matches! Not enough people use it because it sucks and is way too expensive. So basically you end up with a bunch overweight, ** balding old guys. So good luck with that! I'm thinking of reporting them to the BBB for false advertisement. And when you actually want to get rid of your profile there is no way to actually do it. It's not like other sites where you can just delete your info, easily and simply. I had to literally go through everything I had written line by line and attempt to delete. Some items were just impossible to delete. This site really does suck! You would be really lucky if you actually met someone on this site worth spending time with.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

eHarmony seems to be something it is not. I took subscription and never got one response until my subscription was due again then some handsome man messages me, says he is in Real Estate. So am I. So I checked him out and he does not exist, this was E-Harmony's way of getting me to sign up for another 3 months for $119.00. This is the biggest fraud/scam going. This company needs to be investigated and sued.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I was matched with some kind of scary guys. There were instances of professional men lying about marital status, or significant health issues. And I don't know why the predominance on EHarmony, but it was definitely more prevalent than on Match.com.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I am 54, and I was hoping to meet someone who, through filling out answers to eHarmony questions, would be suitable for and have values and common interests like mine. I did not find a lot of the questions asking about the fundamental core of who I am and therefore that was the same for the men's profiles I was matched with as being so called compatible. I simply found this site superficial and that it was like meeting someone in a bar, except in a written meeting site.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I was matched with a man my total opposite. I felt like I had been pimped out. After taking on the computer for days. We exchanged phone numbers. On the first call the conversation from him quickly turned to sex talk. The more I objected the more he talked. I cut off conversation and reported him. Absolutely nothing was done. His profile was never taken off. I was so upset I stopped payment to site.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I signed up with eHarmony for 6 months. After 2 months I only had 3 people send me messages and I immediately received an email from eHarmony each time stating that my matches account has been closed for fraudulent or compromised activity and then my account was hacked and had to be closed. I did at least get my money back.

My latest match was from someone stating he met his match but his friend who is not on eHarmony saw my profile on his computer and wanted to try to connect us. He had a California phone number but claimed to have recently relocated to Florida. Originally from Poland moved here after wife died of cancer, owns his own business, very honest, caring, romantic blah blah blah. Knew all the right things to say. He actually sent me pictures and when I ran them through Google images (image finder) his picture came up on a German romance scammer website. I called him on it and had a big blow out. I don't believe eHarmony does enough to protect their clients. Not worth the aggravation and heartache.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

It is a joke. Despite paying for months they kept saying they could not find any matches for me. Joined on a few separate occasions. Left me wondering if these things are just a scam.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

When at age 68 I was matched to a gentleman who lived 450 miles away and I thought, "You have got to be kidding me". Who knew that we would be married eight months later and still crazy for each other more than 7 years later!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

In the past month I have tried eHarmony hoping being older and looking for something long term that this would be a good fit. I am a single mom in my mid 30's. I only was matched with either 20 something or men in their 50's. We would have similar interest, but they would be things like animals or food. I like workout, and do a lot outdoor. Most of them looked like they had never been to a gym ever. I explained to the customer service about my frustrations and he acted like it was my fault. "Well you could add more pictures." I'm sorry 8+ isn't enough.

Then I would him about my matches and how off they were. He again made it seem like it was my fault, "Well you selected things as not too important." The reason because your site told me I would have better luck if I have moved it from very important to some what important. The bottom line is they need to add if you are an active subscriber. That way you aren't wasting your time on old accounts that are like spam bots of hope.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

eHarmony is a safe dating site. I have changed my profile requests at least 3 times in order to have a more varied choice of men. They do protect your personal information and they will terminate clients who break the official rules. A client needs to submit several pictures for their profile. It is very helpful to give in depth information about a person's profile and desires in a mate.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

When it was time to renew I was busy and not paying attention. They charged me $150 and I had the charge reversed. Now I am not allowed on the site 3 years later until I pay that charge. They should send out a warning that your membership is about to expire. Also, I had way more contacts with POF.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

Had a lot of difficulty with their mobile app. Was also unable to read previous messages sent and for a month my matches were not receiving my messages, nor was I receiving theirs. When I contacted customer service about the issue they acknowledged it was a problem but they wanted me to spend hours explaining the problem/issues they were already aware of. It took over a month for them to rectify their internal messaging problem. I requested a full refund but they tried to deny my request. Eventually went through Apple to get refund. All matches were also from out of country or 1000 km away.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I joined on 7-8-17 and in 3 weeks had zero emails from E-harmony or any member. I log on and there are no messages. I called them to cancel and get a full refund. They refused and said I need to log on regularly to "refresh", and then I would get new matches. I said that there was never any instruction to do so when I joined, and they never disclosed how they help people connect with one another. They don't help. It is all on each person to reach out and make the first contact.

Zoosk and others of the same type of service provide tools to their members that make it all easier, which makes you less vulnerable because they have "daily matches" and "carousel" sent to your email and then you view different potential matches and mark "yes" or "no" as to if you want to meet that person. They, in turn, are getting the same. So when two people say "yes" to one another, you get an email from Zoosk that you both have some interest in each other. That breaks the ice and makes it easier to contact each other because you already know there is some interest. E-harmony has no tools whatsoever. They charge more than double what most dating services charge and they don't disclose how it operates.

If you are not happy they keep every penny and refuse to refund. Then, they will send you fake profile of someone interested to appease you, as you had threatened to cancel and dispute the charge with your Visa. This happened to me. The very next day after I called to cancel I get a message, when I logged on, from a very handsome man that looked like he stepped out of GQ magazine with 6 pack abs standing with his shirt off on a surf board. I email him, did he really send me the smiley face and "HI" as I was suspicious that E-harmony sent it. He never answered me, and the next day his profile was no longer available and now the message is missing.

It is fraudulent what E-harmony is doing in sending fake members as being interested. They just send the smiling face only, as they don't write any message. Clearly, it is done from E-harmony. I accused them of this and wanted a refund and they refuse. I have disputed it with my Visa and will report them as well. It is a total SCAM. Don't waste your time with E-harmony. Try Zoosk or Plenty of Fish or other services over them. All they do is take your money and offer no assistance in finding matches. Rip Off!!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I signed up one month ago with eHarmony. eHarmony reached out to me and said they were removing someone from my profile due to suspicious activity. I have not connected with anyone the entire month. I called to cancel my subscription and was I only had 3 days after registering to cancel. That's ridiculous!! Who can make a decision about online dating within 3 days?They should give you at least a 30 day trial and allow you to cancel. I just closed my account and made it inactive but I am still being charged until I complete the payments. This company "supposedly" has an amazing reputation but they wont let you go if you stay with them more than 3 DAYS!! I would not recommend this company for online dating. Don't do it!!!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

Hey let's just rob people in the fake attempt to connect them with ANYONE. We'll give them matches out of their area, too tall, and just say we give the most matches. Technically true if you consider all the information that's not able to be selected. Of course you get a god damn gigantic pool of matches but how many of those are really matches? On mine, I've been a member for over a year. A year of checking in every now and then and messaging people. Guess how many people messaged me or even messaged me back? 1. 1 out of like 200 messages over the course of a year. This is garbage.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I am not impressed with eHarmony at all. Not worth the money. Once you sign up you are not able to close your account until your paid through time expires. Out of all the matches I received in 6 months maybe 5 were actually someone I would be interested in. I'm not sure all of the profiles were even real. The only time I tell received a good quantity of matches was when I tried to deactivate my account.

Original review: July 28, 2017

I joined eHarmony and paid for a year’s subscription. I was using it for just over a month when I received notification my account had been cancelled. No reason given. When I complained and asked them to refund the rest of the year I was told they have the right to cancel an account at any time with no refund due as in their it's and c's. So basically if you want to spend £138 for 1 month of trawling through some pretty shocking matches (the ** seller was the highlight... and no I'm not joking!) then this is the site for you. If you want to receive an actual service for your money then I'd use another site!

Original review: July 24, 2017

Please do not sign up with this site!!! First, the site sent me matches with the people I would never connect and after a week being there I only got two question from old guys!? Second, I signed up for 6 months and after the week I realized that I do not want to be there, I cancelled my subscription online but I was not able to close my account due to two installments must come up before I close my account. This is **! Why should anyone pay for something that they are not using??? I called eHarmony customer service and they refused to cancelled two upcoming payments. They stated that I exceeded the cancellation window. I went to read the agreement and the agreement gives three days to cancel and you have to send a letter to them to CA to cancel. This is not even enough to complete and cancel on time. THEY ARE SCAMMERS! DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THE SITE AND GET RIPPED OFF!!!

eHarmony.com expert review by Mark Brooks

eHarmony is the largest dating site geared specifically towards long-term relationships and marriage minded singles. They claim to be responsible for over 500 new marriages every day in the US.

• In-depth entry questionnaire: eHarmony asks all of its members a little more than 300 multiple choice questions before allowing them to enter into their ranks. This in-depth questionnaire is geared at giving the site enough information to help provide you with qualified potential matches.
    • No Searching: In sharp contrast to other dating sites, eHarmony does not allow members to search directly for matches. Instead, it uses the answers from the questionnaire to provide you with a selection of daily matches that should be compatible with your needs and desires in a partner.
    • Guided Communication: Instead of sending off an email or wink like you would do on most sites, eHarmony takes members through 4 steps of guided communication before allowing you to continue with open communication with a new match. The guided communication is designed to help assure compatibility and that you don't waste energy on bad matches.
    • Best for: People looking for long-term relationships and marriage.
    Profile picture of Mark Brooks
    Mark Brooks

Online Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.

eHarmony Company Information