eHarmony

Compare Online Dating Websites & Services

Research top Online Dating Websites & Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I tried to make an account with eHarmony but after checking box to say I had been married more than once before they refused me as an account! WTH? I mean they don't know circumstances. In fact I was widowed twice. How judgemental. I found a free website and have found my true soulmate. Don't bother with this site. It's bias, judgemental and totally awful.

I signed up for eHarmony a few years back. It was a horrible experience. I only went on a couple dates with one sleazeball from their site. It was very difficult to find someone in your area to date. Most everyone you were matched with lived hundreds of miles away. Not to mention the fact that way AFTER my subscription expired, all of a sudden I'm being charged $8.95 for God only knows what on my credit card. I disputed it twice! They kept coming. I recently discovered they sent a third charge through after I was assured by my credit card company they would not allow them to do that to me again. EHarmony, are you that hard up for $8.95 that you keep billing someone fraudulently???

It could be good in the past, but definitely not now. Here's why. Overall website is very outdated, awkward technology, update/edit functions are just not very user friendly. When upload a new photo, sometimes takes days to refresh. Significantly shrinking user base - we all know dating is a numbers game, when there are just not a lot of users, the chance for you to get good matches is slim. I live in one of the top 10 metropolitan areas. Inadequate customer service and unreasonable refund/cancellation policy - you can tell by the rigid refund/cancellation policy that their business is not doing well. They are holding on tight to every penny they can get from the subscribers. Almost impossible to cancel or to get your money back, even when you are not happy with the service.

When you finally got on the phone with customer service, they will only provide an email that you can reply to, to submit your cancellation request. In that particular email, it states that you will get your reply in 7-10 days. What kind of service is that? I will get a reply back in regular mail in 7-10 days. But this is eHarmony for you. Suggestions to the management, instead of giving your customers hard time on cancellation, maybe to spend more time on how to make the website better, update the technology, hire smarter programmers to write some mean algorithm that gives us good matches if your marketing department can first manage to increase the user base.

I signed up several months ago and opted for the 6-month program. It didn't take me long to figure out this wasn't for me. Out of about 400 "matches," there wasn't anyone I would consider dating, and most of them didn't live in my area. One match was local. I sent him a set of questions (one of the first steps to communicate), but he never responded. When my payments were completed, I turned off notifications and didn't renew my account. Thank god, I didn't have any issues like others with auto renew, etc. I also removed all of my pictures.

My membership ran out on 9/5/16, then on 9/6/16, I received a couple of emails from the match I sent questions to 6 months earlier. Apparently he responded to my questions, and then sent me some questions along with a "nudge" to send a picture of myself. I answered the questions, then I received another email saying he wants to communicate by email. The only way I could see his message would be to re-instate my account. That's when it hit me as to what eHarmony was doing. I'm totally convinced they used this guy's account, and sent me messages, so that I would pay them more money to re-join. I find it hard to believe he would answer me 6 months later. I'm so glad I didn't fall for their scam. What a sleazy company.

I subscribed to EHarmony several months ago. Set my account to DO NOT AUTO RENEW SUBSCRIPTION. Yet I discovered that in July 2016 my account was charged $74. After I spent significant time trying to contact the company Iocated a telephone number. I Explained my situation to the representative. She said I have to write an email requesting a refund and she would send me the link. Wow. Ok so I wrote the email requesting a full refund. EHarmony refused. I am a savvy consumer. I know this is fraud. Terrible business practice.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eHarmony.com?

I discovered that when I gave a bad review to eHarmony they would not give me any matches. I have been on the website 9 months and have gotten only a couple of matches. One match was on oxygen and was needing a nurse, I believe. On other web site, such a Our Time, I get 7 or so hits a week. Once my time is up, I will never use this website. The first time I used it, it sent me a stalker.

For site that's supposed to have lots of people it's awful. I answered all the questions, put in my parameters for matches and it's ignored. The "matches" are no such thing at all, just a random splurge of people who have nothing in common with you are your requirements. You should be able to search people yourself. Eg parameters male, aged 30-50, Over 5'10, Non-smoker, Leicestershire within 25 miles of, and up to now I've had 3 matches ONLY that meet that in 3 MONTHS... I've had 60 year olds, people in Crewe, London, Chelmsford, Newcastle... males who are 5'5 (shorter than me), smokers with photos of them with cigarettes. The matches are rubbish and not compatible with what I created, I can't change it, not that it matters as they aren't giving me actual matches anyway, just randoms which have no same interests, not matching requirements and it's a RIP OFF - Avoid, save yourself a lot of money.

You cannot cancel your subscription without having to pay all installments even when they aren't providing you with the service you pay for. Then you can't cancel until the last payment is taken, therefore assuming people will forget and they'll get another years money from you. You have to cancel after the last payment but then it automatically renews and you can't change that. There is no "support" or "chat" to get help even the free sites have that.

I requested matches with possibilities to be within a 100 mile. 99% are hundreds of miles away. This is not acceptable. How do I make this qualification clear?

I am confident that eHarmony the company creates fake profiles to give the impression that users have more matches than they actually do. This can be very damaging to someone's self-esteem. I was on for about six weeks with plenty of matches but virtually no activity. I don't want to claim I'm a beauty queen or anything, but I get quite a bit of attention from men, but no one was even clicking on my profile. I would email other users, and they wouldn't even bother to check out my photos. Once I started to suspect that the profiles were fake, I emailed 20 users in one day just to test out my theory, and after three days, none of them even clicked on my profile.

I contacted the company and informed them that I was going to start an investigation. They assured me the profiles were real, and then magically, 24 hours later, everyone started clicking on my profile. I had very little activity for six weeks, but all of a sudden, after complaining, everyone started clicking. This made me more convinced that the profiles are not real. I remember signing up several years earlier, and I had maybe two or three matches. That seemed to be the case with a lot of users, but now, I have at least 100. I believe most of them are fake, and I would prefer having two or three real profiles than being deceived into believing all of these single, handsome doctors and lawyers are matched with me but will not even look at my profile based on my photo and age alone. I signed up for OKCupid a week ago, and my inbox is constantly inundated, so I know that it is not me. It is eHarmony, a fraudulent company that should be shut down.

As similar people have described eHarmony and all their subsidiaries such as Compatible Partners do not provide a good number of matches within a reasonable distance and then STEAL your money. I attempted to cancel my membership before I was charged the next time but there was no button on the page to do so - I contacted membership which never got back to me but surprise, surprise the cancel button shows up after I am charged again. I contacted customer service and they pretty much said "tough luck." STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!

I have used several dating sites and this one is the worst. You spend hours answering all of their stupid questions for nothing. All of the men that I was matched with did not want a heavy-set lady. I am a heavy-set lady. I was humiliated and asked for a refund. They refused on the grounds that I committed to a 24 month contract but I thought it was a 3 month contract. People that get rich off of lonely people by promising them something they can't deliver are just wrong. As far as I am concerned they breached their contract. DO NOT FALL FOR THEIR LIES. The charge was $87.00 every 3 months for 3 payments. Use the free websites. They'd match you so much better and most of the men are the same.

Even though I completed the questions carefully I receive multiple matches that are totally off base. There is no ability to go back and review original questions. When I research the matches they either don't exist, are old or scams. Don't waste your money. Use a free site.

Started to chat with Doug from Mount Royal, CA for 2 week, and then got update from eH that this person is terminated which eH can not describe in 3 days this person account already active again in eH. So I sent email to eH to check what happened. eH mentioned that they manage so many people and difficult to control. At the third week after long relation building emotional connection he asked for money because he got accident in his current job. Never reply to his request and he disappear.

I signed up for a 6-month membership to eHarmony. My subscription was to end August 20, 2016. On August 20, 2016 I cancelled my membership. However to my shock eHarmony had already auto renewed my subscription. I immediately called eHarmony. The agent I spoke with was of course unable to cancel and refund my $140.00 which they charged me for another 6 months of wasted time and money. My experience with eHarmony has been less than stellar and I will go out of my way to enlighten as many people as possible about their deceptive practices. Their matching algorithms are useless and as I see it the same as meeting somebody by random chance. The Federal Trade Commission should be called upon to regulate eHarmony's claims of effectiveness.

This site is very disappointing and overcharges upfront. I asked to do a trial weekend and was lied to stating they do not offer free weekends. They do offer frequent trial weekends. They do not deliver on their promises and try to force long distance matches to claim their success at matching. Truly poorly run and a ripoff. Do not waste your money. Totally dissatisfied.

I have called 5 times to stop automatic renewal but they won't stop! I'm now over $100.00 in fraudulent charges, the ONLY way to get them to stop was to call Capital One to block any future charges. Go to match.com instead. They never treated me this way.

Terrible site but such potential. Filters people well because only someone willing to pay top dollar is on this site and that, along with matching based on profile are really the only positive attributes of the site. Very difficult to create a decent profile due to limited selections or to custom tailor the profile so in many areas almost not worth doing. Clever pop up windows to get you to sign up for total BS stuff or renew your subscription are unethical. The founder looks to me like some religious fundamentalist and not very trustworthy. Updating the profile is also difficult due to bugs in their system. Mainly, there just isn't a large enough population of matches to go around because apparently most interested viewers aren't as blind as we who are making these posts when we signed up! Hope this helps someone not sign up for this site. I would take the POF site over this one having used both.

Tried it during free time period. Signed up for 3 mos. Found out when tried to cancel it was paid for a full year. Very hard to cancel subscription which I tried several times. I had gone past the "time period" and they charged for a year. Hardly showed people in my area. I live in Canada and they had tons of Americans on my site to match!!!! Rip off big time. Pages and pages of terms and conditions and things are hidden in them. Probably won't get money back.

The absolute worst dating site... EVER. Being a busy mom of 2 I decided to give online dating a try. I haven't gotten 1... Not 1 match. Seriously? In 2 months! So I cancelled my subscription and decided to try Zoosk. Wow what a difference. Met a great guy...

Met three people, cost too much and had very few matches. One chap was not a match, but that is just the way things go. The second just wanted sex and so was disappointed. :) And the third one went on 5 dates and then disappeared, re-appeared and was given a second chance and cancelled it and then left the re-arranged date early to meet his friends!! So no butterflies! Lots of hoops to jump through for no results!!! Disappointing and expensive.

You can't erase your profile if you still have months on the contract. I just wanted off it, but I'm forced to stay. What a terrible feeling. And a waste of money too, with no one from near where I live. Their customer service is very unhelpful. Don't get stuck in this trap!

I inadvertently signed up for a whole year of eHarmony, and in all honesty, I do like the service they provide. However, when I had the blessing of finding a girlfriend after 3 months, they refused to provide any kind of a refund for the remaining 9 months. Lame.

I signed up for a dating site last year the eHarmony. Then I realized that it's too expensive so I cancelled over the phone then the woman told me I cannot cancelled because the payment was still in process, but she told me that next year which is this year it will not going to auto renew my subscriptions but then I found out that they automatically renew and charge me again. When I called today and asking for refund because I did not authorize to renew this account she told me there's no phone call last year wanting to cancel my account. This dating site is BS! They're ripped you off trying to get all your money! This ** is not even worth it! So I am going to get my money back no matter what...

I tried once to sign up and answered questions honestly. Stating I was separated, it instantly denied me. OK fine. Just now, tried to sign up again - now divorced, but it stored my original e-mail so automatically denied me. So used my other e-mail, went through all their questions, selected my ages, location - I chose anywhere in the world, and I chose almost every nationality... Only to get to a final screen telling me there are no matches for me... Seriously? There is no man aged 38-50, anywhere in the world, of almost any nationality that could be a possible match? Thankfully I didn't spend any money, but still it's a fraud and scam... If anyone has a positive result from this I'd love to hear about it - so far, all I have seen are A LOT of complaints.

eHarmony is "down for maintenance" about 30% of the time when I try to log in. They don't appear to have any Customer Service that I can find to complain about the situation and find out what's causing this situation. They also don't have any mechanism for removing profiles that don't respond to messages. This clogs the inbox with junk and causes messages from women who have responded to get lost. Overall, their website is poorly thought out and difficult to use. The "Guided Communications" feature turned out to be virtually useless.

I sign up for three months, a month into the service I call to cancel any auto renewal. Since then I've could get a refund. I did not close my account. Internet dating is full of scammers. Their website is hard to figure out how to cancel. Please read their contact because they will not cancel you unless you sent them written notice. They also will not close your account if you have any months left over. Totally not a good busy practice. I refuse to be on any auto renewal, it's nothing but dishonest companies out there getting people hard earn cash. They will keep charging you every month if you want it or not. Must sent written notice to cancel.

Read all the other reviews on this site about eHarmony. I have the same suspicions about the actual active community of eHarmony. It seems that there is a lack of people who actually use the eHarmony website actively, as a result, eHarmony saves every profile that has ever been created, even if that profile has been discontinued by the user, and they advertise it as a match to the active users. I would say it is an ingenious solution to the BIG problem which is the lack of active users who are actively using the site to connect with people. Unfortunately, this is a dishonest business practice.

My experience: I set up my profile, posted numerous pictures, did a decent job of creating a truthful profile about myself which I could look at and agree with. Then I began receiving matches which was exciting but I was suspicious from the beginning so I put my distance settings to the max and started sending smiles to every match they threw my way which ended up being over 50 people. I waited for 2 days and received no response of any sort, not one bit of "update" activity, and not even a smile back. I started noticing the broken programming of the website. Little things like the matches tab number being incorrect, the blandness and inaccuracy of their profile creator, like when I was editing my profile and I specified what my religious beliefs where I selected the option that said spiritual but not religious in the editor but after saving and looking in my profile it stated "(Unknown option)."

Also random inconsistencies, when selecting the move match to hidden button the match would remain in the main matches section and wouldn't actually move to the hidden section until I signed out and signed back in, the list of the programming glitches goes on but the point is that I began to question the integrity of the company due to the blatant poor quality of the functions of the website and then began to wonder if there would be similar glitches when I actually tried to communicate with someone through it. I started thinking about it more so I googled eHarmony reviews which I realized I should have done before signing up for the service in the first place.

When I discovered that there were thousands of reviews which all stated the same thing I became disappointed. So I immediately went on my profile, went to settings, then selected the tab that says account settings, then selected the tab that says cancel my account, then called the number provided. I spoke to a woman. The woman contradicted herself a few times during the conversation but overall I think she was just trying her hardest to somewhat trick me into continuing my payments. Here is how the conversation went, I told her I would no longer like to subscribe to the service as it was not working for me and that I would like to opt out of the installment plan. She started telling me a bunch of statistical facts about the website.

I did not interrupt her and when she was finished informing me of the statistical facts I again stated that I no longer want to subscribe as the services were not working for me and I would like to opt out of the installment plan. She began to ask me why and I continued to say that it simply wasn't working for me. She then stated she could take off one of the 3 scheduled payments of the installment plan. I then told her that I have already paid my first installment and I would like to opt out the installment plan entirely as I will not be using the service anymore. She again began to ask why and started explaining other installment options.

I let her finish and I had enough of the runaround at this point so I stated that I respected her as a person, I understood that she was just an employee of this company and that I respected that she has a job to do, I also stated that she was doing a good job but I was done with beating around the bush and I wanted to get straight to the point. I told her that she already knew what I wanted and repeated again that I no longer want to use the service and that I wanted to opt out of the installment plan and get a refund for the first installment that I already paid and disable my profile. After stating what I wanted, I asked her what she could do for me. She then understood and got straight to the point. She refunded my money and canceled my account. I used PayPal to pay for this service, the eHarmony representative stated there would be no further charges from my account and it would take 7 to 10 days for the money to be refunded.

I thanked her for her time and effort and told her to have a wonderful rest of her day and hung up. I then went on my PayPal account and found that the refund was already pending in my account. This was a surprise to me as many recent reviews on here state that they had a terrible time trying to get a refund and were actually charged extra money that they did not knowingly authorize to be charged. Maybe I got lucky because I was able to cancel within 3 days of opening the account or the particular rep I talked to was actually a good person and took it upon herself to do her job with good morals or a combination of both.

In any case I am relieved I got my refund and I am glad that I can write this review to tell you that eHarmony is a crap shoot or better yet a lottery. The odds are not in your favor in the first place due to the lack of an active community of users and past that the site is saturated with scammers, catfishers and canceled, unused accounts that are left active on the site as a mirage. Good luck.

I have seriously thought about joining eHarmony for quite awhile now. I decided to read some of the reviews, and I've got to say thank you. The amount of money that I read about in just a few of the reviews that eHarmony has ILLEGALLY charged you for is literally a crime. Can you imagine how much they are SCAMMING from EVERYONE who has joined, but have not spoke up? NO WONDER Doc always has a big smile on his face. He's making it FAST, and hopes IT WILL LAST FOREVER!! Well don't let it!! I see a class action lawsuit here. Don't let your dreams of happiness and companionship benefit him. Wipe that smile off of his face...FAST AND FOREVER. No one has the right to SCAM anyone for their money or their dreams. Thank you for enlightening me. My best to all of you.

I signed up to eHarmony in the UK in early June 2016 and, after a few days, I began receiving matches. Some I liked and decided to message through the emailing system within the site. I did not receive any replies, but it was early days and I did not expect anything to happen immediately. After a few weeks of emailing matches, one woman did attempt to reply, but I was unable to open her email due to "technical issues" according to the help center. When the issue was finally resolved, I found that the lady in question had "moved on" according to the eHarmony message next to her profile, and the email had disappeared.

I decided to dig a little deeper into the eHarmony matching process and found a blog on their site indicating that many of "matches" may not be fully paid-up members and, consequently, are unable to communicate with members that have paid their subscription. This information is contained on the link and makes for very interesting reading. In fact, I am surprised eHarmony have allowed it to be posted as it gives real insight into what appears to be a cynical, money-grabbing organisation.

Unfortunately, I am locked into an installment system whereby I have to pay for one year's subscription. However, having learned how eHarmony operate, I would urge anyone considering joining them to think carefully about whether a dating website that matches you with people you are unable to communicate with is worth spending money on. Personally, I have accepted my financial loss as simply the result of my own stupidity and also "moved on".

E-Harmony; I think has a person do far too much writing with no dates. I do not think there are enough members in my area. I also think these people are too picky, too busy to date or these are not real people at all. Maybe these people are made up or the women that work for the company husbands and their friends laughing that so many women are alone on their Friday nights while getting our hopes up then canceling to meet up for a live date. I stopped dating sites. They just feed off of people's emotions and money.

I live in an area where there are tons of married, living together couples or people that are either too young or too old. I like five years younger or five years older. I do not want to go on a date and someones says "Is that your son" or "Is that your grandfather". I just want to be viewed as a normal couple. If I meet someone great. If not, then I am meant to be single for a reason, because there are better things to come off my life beside finding a boyfriend.

Expert Review

Mark BrooksOnline Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.    More about Mark→

eHarmony is the largest dating site geared specifically towards long-term relationships and marriage minded singles. They claim to be responsible for over 500 new marriages every day in the US.

• In-depth entry questionnaire: eHarmony asks all of its members a little more than 300 multiple choice questions before allowing them to enter into their ranks. This in-depth questionnaire is geared at giving the site enough information to help provide you with qualified potential matches.
  • No Searching: In sharp contrast to other dating sites, eHarmony does not allow members to search directly for matches. Instead, it uses the answers from the questionnaire to provide you with a selection of daily matches that should be compatible with your needs and desires in a partner.
  • Guided Communication: Instead of sending off an email or wink like you would do on most sites, eHarmony takes members through 4 steps of guided communication before allowing you to continue with open communication with a new match. The guided communication is designed to help assure compatibility and that you don't waste energy on bad matches.
  • Best for People looking for long-term relationships and marriage.

Compare Online Dating Websites & Services