1.02/5
Are you this business? Claim your page

eHarmony Reviews

Los Angeles-based eharmony launched in the United States in 2000 with its patented Compatibility Matching System® which allows eharmony members to be matched with compatible persons with whom they are likely to enjoy a long-term relationship.

2118 eHarmony Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 21, 2019

I subscribed for 3 months & I closed my account after one month. I received multiple messages from fake profiles with the same message. They all say they are taken but have a friend who saw my profile who wants to communicate with me outside of eHarmony through my personal email. I closed my account & requested a refund which was denied & I get to pay for 2 more months. Be sure to turn off the auto renew feature.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Signed up for a year outright, matches were horrible and very sporadic. I pretty much forgot about my account until all the sudden they hit up my credit card for another 3 months worth of charges. SURPRISE! They will auto renew on you with ZERO warning or reminders. I immediately canceled my account, but they REFUSE to refund the money stating that it's "against policy." It had literally been 2 days since the charge had gone through. They act like they are doing you a favor by canceling your account for you, but they're going to keep your money leaving you with a charge and no access to the service you were just charged for! They hide behind the fine print of some BS policy to steal from their customers! I HATE a thief! They are a COMPLETE TRASH OF A COMPANY! RUN, keep your $$$ far far away from these crooks.

Get expert buying tips about Online Dating Sites and Services delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 13, 2019

I signed up for 6 months as I have a friend who met her husband on this site. I had absolutely NO communication with anyone in the first 6 months. I basically forgot about my account because it was a snoozefest...until my credit card got charged for another 6 months! I take full responsibility for that because I did not cancel in time. OK, so I give it another try. I've been on 1 date in almost a year. The guy said he was a good Christian, family man, etc. Turns out he cruises Kinky Websites for dates and attends Kinky parties. Um...yeah, that is NOT what I am looking for! So, I recently started up a conversation with a somewhat normal guy. We've been chatting fine. Until recently. My messages are not getting to him but I am getting messages from him. So frustrating! I sent a message to the HELP desk. We shall see if they get back to me. DON'T WASTE YOUR $$$!!!

Dear Kristy,

Thank you for your feedback and we are sorry to hear you have not been happy with your experience on the site. We'd be happy to see what we can do to help improve it as well as look into the issue you're having with messaging. Please email us from the email address associated with your account. Please also include the name, age and city of the match with whom you're having difficulty messaging.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I wish I would have read these reviews before I decided to give eHarmony another chance. I knew it was a mistake when I tried to cancel within the 3 day waiting period and I was not given a refund. Now I am on the hook for 3 months. I set my preference for distance as within 30 miles and very important. Wasn't aware Florida was within 30 miles of Glenview, IL. When I questioned this it was suggested I email the match and see if they were willing to travel. Really. I have gotten no response whatsoever and I consider myself an above average match. Totally discouraged, I even was stupid enough to pay $14.95 for a 24 hour spotlight. What a joke. There is no way of knowing whether you were spotlighted or not. I am beginning to wonder whether my profile is being shown at all. Do yourself a favor and save your money. Read the other reviews, they don't lie. Terribly disappointed.

Dear Lisette,

We're sorry to hear you have been unhappy with your subscription. Regarding Distance, it is possible to receive matches outside your current settings if those members become active again. For Spotlight, you can see when you have an active session by going to your Account Settings. We'd be happy to discuss this further and see what other help we can provide. Please email us from the email address associated with your account.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I stopped deleting Match Termination Notification emails a few months ago. There's over 100 of them since perhaps last September... Recently I started actively using the site more, intentionally messaging people who are shown as ACTIVE users, visitors to my profile etc. Like clockwork within 2 or 3 messages their profile is terminated. I sent two emails to eHarmony asking why this was happening so frequently. I received some flagrantly ridiculous boilerplate about actively looking out for my well being by terminating blah blah blah.

So this leaves two possibilities to my mind, either their site that is not cheap is full of fake profiles with scammers and/or bots (we already know it is full of profiles from people who posted them years ago) that are picked off almost immediately by their proactive quality assurance professionals or FAR MORE LIKELY what is happening is they gave a phone number or an email address or something and they were terminated as a result of THAT violation.

I have never given my contact information, I understand that it is a violation of their terms...which frankly is ridiculous if both members are paid members to make them able to communicate in the first place. Either revamp your policy so that PAID CUSTOMERS can do what they signed up to do which is MEET POTENTIAL PARTNERS or revamp your pricing so that people don't "violate" your terms. This service is either stealing time, money or opportunity from me; possibly all three and I will be sending a letter with all of the saved emails of communications, match terminations, icebreakers et al to the BBB and the state Office of Consumer Protection if this continues for much longer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eharmony?

Original review: March 12, 2019

5 Years - Not 1 Date. Amazing one can waste so much time in hopes of meeting just one real person but, if that is your goal, step aside. I am an attractive, single, successful, debt free home owner, a successful company. I spent hours, days and months of time trying all different detailed ways of presenting a pleasant profile, 11 pictures, 3 of which were taken professionally. Like carrot being dangled in front of the rabbit to keep him running, what a dead end of fake profiles, and wasted time. Definitely overrated!!!

Dear Lee,

We're sorry to hear that your experience on the site has not been what we would hope for. We'd love the opportunity to see what we can do to improve it. Please email us from the email address associated with your eharmony account and we'll do our best to help you out.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Customer Service follow up and billing policies. If you have a issue, 36 hours is not a prompt reply. Know your expiry date, as no notice of renewal will be sent. Cancel it immediately after, their no refund option is enforced. Plus they cancel your profile immediately, even though it is paid. Would not recommend this service to anyone.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Sketchy website. The Help section claims that you can get a full refund within three business days, but this is not true. There is no option to get your subscription cancelled and refunded. Avoid, or only test it for a month at most. Really not any better than any of the other trashy dating sites.

Original review: March 1, 2019

eHarmony is a sick evil greedy Satan worshiping disgusting so called company. The violent aggressive greed of it all... Stick with Tinder or POF at least they want pillage your bank account. And don't bother to try and cancel they will lead you on to believe it is and then aggressively pillage your account... They always need moreee...

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

So I spend a month on eHarmony (they make your purchase 3 months) and there were a few issues I ran into. my matches were significantly older than me even after changing my preferences. I did email some of my matches (the ones closer to my age and who were somewhat attractive) with no response back from them. I received "smiles" from people and when I replied with WORDS I wouldn't get replies back. Now I know I’m attractive so it’s not like I’m fishing with no bait. I went one one date from here and the guy had lied about a couple of big things on his profile on here.

When I said I wasn't interested due to this he called me a bunch of names. It was an exhausting experience. I decided that I didn't want to continue my time on eHarmony and asked for a refund. Which I was declined... twice. They aren't returning the months that I will not use. PLEASE don't waste your money on this site. I also found that a lot of guys on here are also on the free sites like hinge and bumble so you really don’t need to waste your money on matches who will not respond on eHarmony when you can get them to not respond on other sites for free. Haha.

To add insult to injury I felt like the customer service was basically telling me that it was my fault that my experience on eHarmony was so awful - that's really nice to hear. Basically we won't refund you your money AND you are the problem haha. One of the lines in the email from customer service that I found to be funny was the, "I'd like to encourage you to take a look at our success stories page at www.eharmony.com/success." Like it’s not us! look at our success stories! It’s YOU!

Here's another line from the lengthy we will not refund you email, "While going through your profile, I see that you are receiving messages from your matches, however you have not responded to them. While communication is a factor that can take time and we expect our members to be as participative as possible as chances are here that if your match do not hear from you, they may prefer to block communication with you." - this is untrue as I have responded to almost everyone who emails me. And everyone who I’m not interested in I block. I also INITIATE MOST OF THE EMAILS WITH MY MATCHES WITH NO RESPONSE. So while you were going through my emails with people, eHarmony, you forgot to mention that little detail. I’m pissed, actually. I'm most pissed about the customer service. And I’m sorry I ever wasted money on the site.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

All the reviews posted here are absolutely true to my own experience. This people sucks, big liars and someone should start a lawsuit against eHarmony. I decided to take a 7 days free trial on Match.com and within the first 3 days I had dates scheduled. I wish I had checked this site of reviews before I signed for 3 months with eHarmony. Extremely disappointed.

Dear Naina,

Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry to hear your experience has so far not been what we hope for. Please email us from the email address on your account. Let us know specifically your concerns and we'll be happy to do our best to improve your experience.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I signed up and immediately began receiving “smiles” from other users from other states outside of my own state and outside of my location preferences. Then the next day I would receive an email stating the person's account has been removed but eHarmony was not allowed to describe why they were removed. The bigger point is my time and money is wasted by scammers and eHarmony obviously does not do anything about vetting people coming on the site.

eHarmony response

Dear Mark, thank you for your feedback. We do have a dedicated team who works to review accounts proactively in an effort to remove fraud suspects before they are even matched. In the event that we do not capture these individuals we move quickly to take action once we are notified.

If you'd like further information, or you'd like to discuss your concern with matches outside your settings, please email us from the email address associated with your account.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

eHarmony canceled my account out of nowhere. They said it was because they caught someone phishing and closed MY account for security reasons. When I tried to reopen an account, I could not. When I asked for a refund, they sent a new email saying I violated one of their policies but they cannot tell me any specifics... eHarmony is a rip-off. Any company with this kind of policy in place should be investigated. I am reporting them to the BBB.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

First off; the website is pretty intuitive and pleasing to look at but that's where the good stuff stops. The bad: Most "matches" you're given are from free accounts or are so inactive that you'll never get a response if you are interested. My experience has been pretty bad as far as matches go. I opened up my search criteria to TWO entire states worth of people... Very few actual requirements; no smoking and be between 27 and 42... I am 37 so kinda in the middle area there. I even opened up the age category to higher end as well.

The Ugly: Contacted customer service about my "matches" and lack of contact. It took them 3 days to get back to me. Not only that but it was a typical cut paste job by someone just filling in blanks at a call center. I said it was and seemed to get an actual person for once. They asked me to fill out my profile; which I already DID and add a total of 12 pictures. I had 11 pictures; added one more. It's been a total of 12 days between me and eHarmony customer service and I'd paid for 6 months worth of time. HUGE WASTE of money. Been nearly a month and haven't heard squat from hardly anyone. I had met one lady but she was so busy getting herself outta debt she didn't have time to date lmao. My advice: Go with a cheaper service that doesn't cost hundreds (yes you'll spend hundreds just to LOOK for people on this waste of a website) and get their service that is premium.

Dear Kristopher,

We're sorry to hear you have not been having the best experience with our site. While reaching a significant rate of communication can and does take time, effort and patience, we'd be happy to see what we can do to improve your experience. Please email us from the email address associated with your account.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

First of all I have reported this experience to the Better Business Bureau!!! I called eHarmony 3 times to say "I want more educationally available and more financially secure men". One woman says "no problem I will change your match criteria". They kept sending me men of "high school" caliber constantly. I called them back 2 more times and the girls said "Oh it doesn't matter what you say about education or income in your profile...we'll match you on race, age and location". That is false advertising. Lies Lies and more Lies. A terrible untruthful site.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

So I joined eHarmony paying $59 a month!!! Lame service, lame choices. So I go to cancel after a month or two and I get a note from Customer Service saying that I signed up for a six month package and I still have several payments left to pay even though I am no longer accessing their service! BEWARE!!! What a scam. Save yourself the trouble and use a different service that will refund your money if you aren't satisfied. So disappointed in this company that advertises on national commercial outlets all the time. F- rating. If I could give 0 stars I would but it wouldn't let me.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Having spent a lot on an annual membership, I have been very disappointed with the complete lack of any suitable partners. The men I have been sent are the antithesis of what I outlined as being important in my profile. I am 8 months in and NOT ONE person has met my matching criteria. I live in Canada and most of the "matches" (maybe two a week) are from the US. Maybe it works in the US but not here in Canada unless you are from an area with a high population.

Dear Antonia,

We are very sorry to hear you have not been happy with aspects of your matches. While population density certainly does play a part in how many matches are available, there may be other factors we can review to improve your experience. If you would please contact us from the email associated with your account, we'd love the chance to try and help you out.

Sincerely,

eharmony

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Decided that maybe love was just a click away, and I’m looking for long term so decided to give eHarmony a try. I have been on it before with zero success, but I have little to lose. Paid for a three month membership. They send you matches every day, and many of them are terrible. The few that are decent, the guy messages, sends likes, and never gets a response. I’m sure they just keep all the people that had profiles in the system. I must have sent 200 messages and only ever received a few messages back. Save the heartache and just blow any money that you would on a subscription at the bar.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

eHarmony is a crappy website that makes very convincing commercials for you to spend $59.99 for 3 months (that’s the “special”, whatever. It’s still a lot of money when others are free.). You spend money in hopes of it giving you better matches but it’s a bunch of **. They never contacted me back when I requested a refund a week after constantly getting matches who mostly lived in a completely different city. I live in a city with 2.3 million people. And I think there’s a glitch when I get matches. Every guy is 5’6”. I’m 5’8”. Usually not a problem but every single one is 5’6”. So I’m not compatible with taller guys? Stupid. Get your ** together eHarmony.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Like others, I paid over $300 for 6 months of their service. They make big claims about their matching algorithm. I am a ** woman uninterested in dating ** men. When I selected all races but my own they had a pop up letting me know I'd made a mistake. That should have been my first warning sign. After selecting all races but ** ALL of my matches for the first month were all **. After changing my preference setting to MUST HAVE instead of would prefer now I get fewer ** men but they are still in there. My next problem is that my profile has had 4 visitors in a month!!! 4! They are not trying to help. They just want your money.

I called the customer support number and the lady that answered was rude and not helpful at all. I asked what they could do, she offered me a free month which was like offering a hungry man a puff of air. After I refused she said, “Well I can't give you your money back so I figured you'd take a free month.” I asked for a supervisor and she said she'd send me an email that I have to respond to. When I insisted on a supervisor she said, “That's all we can do for you.” I think it's a scam personally. Match.com is cheaper and you get so much better results.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I joined eHarmony recently, hoping that this expensive online matching service would provide a better experience and better results than its competitors. What I found was the opposite. The service is supposed to divvy out compatible matches at a rate of ten per day. It did provide a list of ten potential matches for a few days, but none of them satisfied my criteria, and the list soon dwindled to one or two matches per day that increasingly failed to match my criteria. For example, despite my requirement that potential matches live within 50 miles of me, the one or two matches that eHarmony would send me on any given day were often located in different states entirely. When I expressed my concern, the customer service department sent a scripted response bragging about eHarmony's superior compatibility algorithm, which was nonsense.

Despite their claim to a scientifically based matching algorithm, they don't even consider some of the characteristics that determine romantic interest, such as body type. Their algorithm is fundamentally flawed. Even a poor algorithm should be able to provide more than 70 potential matches within a 50 mile radius, however, which leads me to believe that the actual pool of members from which they draw is very limited.

The only guarantee that eHarmony provides is that, if you sign up for three months of service and you're not satisfied at the end of that time, they'll extend your service for another three months without charge. This is like a restaurant that serves you a hamburger when you ordered a vegetarian dish, and then, when you complain, offers to give you another hamburger. Plus, even this hollow guarantee didn't apply to me because I signed up for a full year of service. eHarmony prices their plans (3-months, 6-months, or 12-months) in a way that discourages you from signing up for the 3-month plan, so their so-called guarantee would apply to almost no one.

After about a week of receiving no compatible matches and then giving up when the list of matches dried up to one or two inappropriate matches per day, I asked for a refund. They responded that one must cancel the service within three days to receive a refund. Unfortunately, three days is not a sufficient period of time to form an opinion of the service. Just in case you're thinking that I'm unmatchable, and therefore eHarmony isn't at fault, here's the rest of my story. After quitting eHarmony, I joined Bumble for free and have gone on several dates with women who actually do satisfy my criteria. This is not an advertisement for Bumble, which is not perfect by any means, but simply a bit of evidence that eHarmony had no excuse for its inability to provide me with appropriate matches.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I rejoin eHarmony in December 2018, and I still have not gotten any compatible matches that I would want to meet. All of the matches that I was given by eHarmony was from a different states, and older than the age I wanted in my profile. In my account, there are over 1,000+ matches according to eHarmony and most of them are from a different cultural group, and most of them are from the 1st time I joined eHarmony due to the match date of 2014. eHarmony claim they match a person every 15 minutes - that is totally untrue and misleading. I even contacted some matches that I thought that maybe it could be something there; I still have not heard from any of the “eHarmony compatible” matches and cannot tell if they are paying matches or free accounts.

If you have money to waste, look elsewhere because eHarmony is full of Sugar Honey Ice Tea. I have joined a few times, and now I realized that eHarmony focus is not on helping people find the match but getting wealthier. Please do not waste your time or money on this paid internet site, you will probably do better with the free ones. The old saying of buyer beware, shop at your own risk is so true especially with eHarmony.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Let me start by saying that the clientele of eHarmony leaves much to be desired. Not that everything should be based on physical attractiveness (we can't help how we are born) but it leaves much to be desired. I'm above average in looks and way above average in brains and the matches were so off, it became a joke. I have my masters and I'm being matched with school custodians? My membership expired 12/28. I didn't renew. I emailed once, twice and chatted to please stop sending me "matches" and they have not stopped. It's annoying and disruptive at this point. No one seems to respond, which makes matters worse. If you are looking to meet someone, try a mobile app based platform such as Match.com or Bumble.com

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Same as other people here. I was also scammed by eHarmony. After paying they closed my account for "unspecified reason". There is no harmony at scamHarmony. People ask why they're allowed to keep going. Because they have money (our money) and they pay off politicians. That's why. Stay away from this scam outfit.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I have been on eHarmony for more than a year and more than 90% of the girls I send questions or messages to, don't even look at my profile; which means the majority of the girls are ghosts, who once were on eHarmony and they left, but eHarmony keeps their profiles so that the cash keeps rolling in for them. That's a great business model for them, but terrible for us the customers. eHarmony is a giant scam, stay away! Do not give them a single penny!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I have been on eHarmony for 5 months now as I signed up for the 6 month plan... It seems everyone I'm matched with that I take an interest in turns out to be fake and they are terminated from my account... I haven't found a single match that seems to be real. All I can say is don't waste your money as this seems to be one big scam.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

The "hide this match" feature doesn't work. The "guy" or AI on chat asked which ones it wasn't working on. I said too many to list. He comes back with "Alright!"...then terminated the chat. Sounds like he got pissed off & hung up. Then I called customer service. Gal was rude, argumentative, didn't listen & didn't know if the guy on chat was human or AI. When I asked for her name she refused to give it & said she told me her name at the beginning of the call. When someone won't provide their name they know they've screwed up and fear for their job. Not giving name when asked just makes things worse. I asked for her supervisor 5-6 times before she claimed to put me on hold to connect with that person. This was about 4:40 pm PT, they close at 5. You can guess what happened next. That's right, 5 comes & phone cuts off. Terrible. They wouldn't want this done to them.

eHarmony response

Hi Doug - We'd like to look into your issue with hiding matches. I'd also like to learn a little more about your interaction with our Customer Care team. Can you please contact me. - Carlos

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I joined eHarmony and paid for a full year. My year is up and of the men who were matched to me 100% had their account "terminated" by eHarmony for safety reasons. Yes, you read that right, seriously, 100% were con men. Thankfully, I was not taken in by any of them and eHarmony was very proactive to protect me since some of them were "terminated" within 24 hours of opening communication with me. Very sad but certainly not eHarmony's fault that there are so many criminals out there trying to scam folks out of their hard earned money not to mention causing emotional distress and pain.

I will never again do any online dating, it is not worth the money or the liability. I am happy with my own company, I do not need to be supported by anyone else and I do not need someone else to complete me so after a year I am happy to move on with my life as a single person. No drama, no weird habits to adjust to, no answering to another person if I choose to stay in my pajamas all weekend long.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Been on eHarmony for the last 6 months and can honestly say I have not had one single match that I had any interest in. Match is too far, no common interest, no photo, no attraction, etc. I’m a middle aged man who is very active, i.e., hiking, running, etc, and state that very clearly in my profile. I get matched with women who look like they couldn’t climb 3 flights of stairs. Really?! I’m done with eHarmony. Whatever “algorithm” they use to “match” is worthless.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I tried it for a month; was matched with 230 people of whom 90% lived in the suburbs 10 or more miles. I live in Chicago, you would think there would be SOME men from the city area. Most had significantly different interests and values than I have. The matches would say 100% but reading their profiles I would realize they were conservative/right wing and religious. I have no idea what algorithm they use, but we would be better off if they used chickens to pick names out of a hat to match.

Also, thinking that this is a paid website, people would be somewhat classier. WRONG. I have had several people tell me to ** myself when I didn't respond to their messages such as "hey girl" and used sexist, disrespectful language. I have had several matches with people who were not divorced (i.e. married) and also with people who had headless body shots. I thought eHarmony actually scans photos and "approves" them. Yeah, this site is seedier than POF or Tinder, definitely not worth paying for. I will be going back to Match and OKC.

eharmony expert review by Mark Brooks

eHarmony is the largest dating site geared specifically towards long-term relationships and marriage minded singles. They claim to be responsible for over 500 new marriages every day in the US.

• In-depth entry questionnaire: eHarmony asks all of its members a little more than 300 multiple choice questions before allowing them to enter into their ranks. This in-depth questionnaire is geared at giving the site enough information to help provide you with qualified potential matches.

• No Searching: In sharp contrast to other dating sites, eHarmony does not allow members to search directly for matches. Instead, it uses the answers from the questionnaire to provide you with a selection of daily matches that should be compatible with your needs and desires in a partner.

• Guided Communication: Instead of sending off an email or wink like you would do on most sites, eHarmony takes members through 4 steps of guided communication before allowing you to continue with open communication with a new match. The guided communication is designed to help assure compatibility and that you don't waste energy on bad matches.

• Best for: People looking for long-term relationships and marriage.

Profile picture of Mark Brooks
Mark Brooks Online Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.

eHarmony Company Information