1.12/5

eHarmony Reviews

Los Angeles-based eharmony launched in the United States in 2000 with its patented Compatibility Matching System® which allows eharmony members to be matched with compatible persons with whom they are likely to enjoy a long-term relationship.

2159 eHarmony Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 13, 2019

I wish I saw all these comments before I wasted over 200 on a subscription to eHarmony! I’m new to the online dating scene and I saw their ads on tv and figured with the amount of “matches” they claim happen every day I thought I would have a pretty good chance at finding someone to talk with and possibly connect! I was so wrong!! I believe I’ve been on there for a couple of months and not one man has responded to my messages! I know I am not model thin or beautiful but I also don’t think I’m huge or ugly!!! I’m on 2 other pay apps, which are way cheaper, and I get messages and would like to meet me every day! I understand their point of view about, "It’s how you answer the questions, blah, blah!" It’s **! Save your money, you can feel better about yourself on way more dating apps that are cheaper! Nothing like throwing away money and your self esteem.

Original review: July 9, 2019

I haven't had an account for over 3 years with eHarmony, and in the last 2 days I have received 2 emails stating that they have closed my account due to suspicious activity/fraudulent biography. 2nd email stated that I have been talking to a man named John from Indianapolis, (I live in SC) which is NOT true, and that he is basically undesirable. They said that I need to stop talking to him immediately!!! Of course they then say that they cannot disclose the reasons why they are doing this, so my first thought is..... someone fraudulently is using my info on eHarmony.

When I called customer service they couldn't help me because everything is done via email. He basically was useless and kept reading from his script! I am extremely pissed, and nervous that eHarmony knows that my account is fraudulent, yet they won't disclose info. Why tell me about it in the first place?? I have a brother who is an Attorney, and my best friend is a Private Investigator. They are both already working on this for me and if eHarmony has any sense about them at all, they will provide more info, or they may be dealing with a bigger problem. Stay away from this website - Remember, if you're meant to meet someone special, he/she will just be there when the time is right! eHarmony is a waste of time, and obviously they don't care about protecting people - think about it!

Get expert buying tips about Online Dating Sites and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 8, 2019

I am completely new to the online dating world. I dislike every minute of it. Either the profiles are fake or they are not paying for service. All of the matches I received were all way too far away even when I set my profile and or none of them responded. I cancelled my subscription within a day of loading the app and lost $150.00 in the process I will not get back.

Original review: July 7, 2019

I've been on every dating site, Match, eHarmony, all the apps. The apps are free, they make sense, these pay for sites don't. Perhaps the users are serious, but I have rarely encountered users. Here's the deal, eHarmony allows anyone to make a profile, whether they are paying or not. These profiles are listed and allow eHarmony to inflate their numbers. What does this mean for you, a paying customer? It means lots of the "matches" they send you, are not paying customers and cannot see or read your messages. I have checked and found less than 20% of the people I send messages to have even read them, which to me indicates one of two things; the profile is inactive and no one checks it or the profile is a free profile that cannot see messages. Either way, it's a poor experience for me.

The fact of the matter, is things like this are part and parcel for these pay-for dating sites. It doesn't benefit them to find you dates quickly, it benefits them for you to be single and then get desperate enough to pay for additional features like boosts or custom profile editing. All in all, I find these pay-for sites to be an outrageous scam. In fact, in the past year I've had no dates from the sites I paid for. I regret that there isn't a way to refund the money I've spent on eHarmony, but I will warn others, DO NOT GIVE THEM A PENNY!

Original review: July 5, 2019

I signed up for eHarmony and in one month was sent only three matches in my city, all of whom were 10 years too old or 10 years too young. I had about 75 matches within 60 km even and they WERE ALL too young, too old or completely not what I was asking for. Then came the "What ifs?" They were mainly 1,000 km away and nothing close to what I was expecting. I sent friendly notes to two potentials and they did not read my notes or respond. Not unusual but I noticed one guy had photoshopped his photos to look like he'd been in London, and two of his photos didn't look like the same person. I cancelled after one month and plan to spend my time volunteering in my town and striking up a conversation with friendly looking guys at the Starbucks near my house. Better way to connect with real people and save a few hundred dollars too.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eharmony?

Original review: July 2, 2019

They trap you in a contract!!!! Literally knew it wasn't going to be right for me after the second day and reached out to them 2 times and they refused to cancel the subscription. So do not sign up for any plan. It traps you for at least 3-6 months.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I am a good looking man but on the inside I am highly unique in a mostly negative way. As far as the rest of the population goes I have the rarest personality type in the world, INFJ. As a man this makes me very effeminate in that I like things women like such as naked cuddles and talking for hours. I am highly sensitive highly empathetic very prone to anxiety. I don't really have any friends preferring to spend all my time with one woman. On my profile I pretty much said these things in hopes of driving most room in a way which is exactly what happened. I ended up dating a local woman who has an INFP personality, Myers-Briggs inventory if you are curious about your own type. We are a perfect match. We can spend all day naked in bed just talking and snuggling and a couple other things LOL but mostly the first two. We both love nature, can talk for hours and time flies when we are together.

We have been dating for a year now and never get bored of one another. We are both highly sensitive highly empathetic highly neurotic neither of us have any real friends so we are up each other's butt all the time like peas in a pod. Long story short eHarmony match to our personalities extremely well. Don't even try to make your profile so it appeals to the general masses. You need to show your flaws not your strengths. Show your weaknesses and all your weirdness so you find someone like you.

eHarmony response

Dear Shannon, Thank you very much for your comments and congratulations! We're so very happy that we were able to help you find that special someone. Your story is inspirational and we'd love to hear more. If you have not already shared your story on our Success Story section, at your convenience please email us.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I signed up in eHarmony in hope of finding someone who is compatible (age, religion, etc). However while I was working on my profile, someone tried to send me message (highly likely a fake account) and lured me into signing then deactivated the day after. I got busy and forgot to cancel until the 4th day, which literally I was a few hours late to cancel, so I called customer service for a refund (one year for $439), or at least partial refund. I was told I am not allowed to. The matches they were sending were beyond the age limit and most of the people contact me were simply not the type of match I described in my profile.

I also emailed and told them I wish to cancel and do not want to use the site. However my request was rejected again. The customer service person even said: "the key word is right here, you are a few hours late to cancel". So I should pay $439 for a few hours late to cancel? It's a shame that they are supposed to be a pleasant place to meet people and they now become a money digger and care nothing about customer service. What they could have done is to ask me to try for a shorter time such as a month and charge me a month. No, they don't care and they said not even a penny back.

Original review: June 14, 2019

I’m not a complainer but my experience with eHarmony has been extremely disappointing. I filled out all the questions and had a profile started before I shelled out any money. I got 40+ “matches” in just a few days. They lured me in and once I subscribed, I saw that those “matches” were not even remotely appealing to me. Dirty, unshaven, disheveled—many of them downright unhealthy looking. Not. Even. One. And even worse, eHarmony controls the matching. Match.com isn’t all that great either but at least you can do your own browsing. I feel completely ripped off, my money taken and I’ve gotten nothing in return.

There is no contact information on their site which is no doubt intentional. They couldn’t handle the volume of complaints they know they’d be getting if they didn’t hide from their customers! They just prey on your desire for companionship, take your money and laugh. And I love how they appear to respond to these reviews saying “email us...” To what email address?? They do not care. Save your time and your money. Wish I did. :-(

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 12, 2019

I have been on eHarmony for about 4 months (I bought the one year plan - a big mistake). They don't have enough matches. I have had pretty much the same matches from day one. Maybe one or two have been added since. Whenever I hit the match button, the comment is no matches yet, but come back later. Or widen my search with age or distance. Widening my age or distance search is not of interest to me. That won't solve the issue of not enough matches from this site. It will just give me more people than I'm not compatible with. I have had only correspondence with one person. They have now withdrawn from the site. In hindsight, I should have only tried it for 3 months but don't waste your money. They don't have enough people on this site to match people with.

Dear D,

Thank you for your feedback. We're very sorry to hear you've not been happy with the number of matches you've received. I can assure you that we have plenty of active members who are looking to make that long term connection. Matching is based of two things; your answers to the Relationship Questionnaire and Match Preferences. I'd like to see if there's anything we can do to improve your experience. Please email us from the email used on your account.

Original review: June 7, 2019

This company should be charged with fraud. Take you money, deceive that you will get a result and provide nothing. I have sent off countless contacts and got not one response in three months. Appalling. Obviously full of fake profiles.

Original review: June 6, 2019

I just used discount code ** to join e-harmony (3 payments of 65CAD instead of 99CAD). The status screen on the top right said 'discount code applied'. The pre-transaction screen showed me paying the discounted amount. Once I hit proceed with the transaction, the regular, un-discounted amount was shown in the status and the same amount taken from my account. I have called my bank and they said there is no way of blocking the transaction without calling eHarmony.

Original review: June 3, 2019

I have had an eHarmony account twice about 4 years apart - both times I had to cancel my subscription 3-4 times over the course of 8-12 months before they would stop charging my credit card (finally because I would cancel it and get a new one - then they would say, "Ok your profile is closed and you won’t be charged further") - neither time did they refund the unauthorized charges and denied my attempts to close the account. I would choose any other dating platform if I were you. The matches I found on eHarmony were also not a good fit either time which was surprising. My best matches were 4-6 hours away. And to my surprise there were just as many “hook up only” profiles on there as POF... so don’t be fooled into thinking they are more serious just because they paid for the account - they just aren’t as young, lol.

The search options they have are very limited and restricting so you have almost zero room for error or you could be one click away from finding a better match but have no way of getting there. It is also very difficult to change a lot of your original answers (that take a long time to fill out) so if you change and grow as a person your profile will not reflect it. Same goes for all the other profiles. You will have to create a whole new one and risk paying for 2 accounts for months to come. So your “matches” aren’t necessarily all that matchy. As one of the more expensive platforms out there - it is not the best set up or bang for your buck. Don’t get me wrong. 1/10 people reading this may have luck - the other 9 will wish they took my advise. Finding love shouldn’t come with a massive headache or price tag. Choose a better platform.

Original review: June 1, 2019

I joined eHarmony and Match at the same time. In four months I have had one prospect contact me through eHarmony. The only updates I have had were if someone posted a change to his profile. The images at the top showing my matches have not changed since I joined! My account seems nearly frozen in time. During that same time, with Match.com I have had dozens of matches, with the same profile photo, match criteria and profile narrative. On Match.com I may get as many as 20 or more profile views on any given day, with new matches to consider all the time. Every single day I check Match.com since there is something new to consider. I regret spending money on eHarmony. Caveat emptor!

Dear P,

Thank you for your feedback. WE're very sorry to hear you've not been happy with your experience on the site. I'd love the opportunity to see what we can do to improve your experience. Please email us from the email address on your account and I'll be happy to see what I can do for you.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I signed up with eHarmony for 6 months since that seemed to be the shortest sign up time period available. I would be considered to be an above average attractive, educated young woman and after having been on the app for 2 months - I have yet to have a single date. 99.9% of the people who contact me are those with VERY different sensibilities and not compatible. Most of the messages aren't even actual sentences but rather eHarmony generated auto questions.

I wanted to get out of my contract but upon contacting them, I was told my complaints were not valid and would not be accepted. They also said basically I should be trying harder to get dates. Not to be completely crass, but you are telling a girl who is a 8 to "try harder" with guys who are a 2? I get a lot more dates on the free apps on Bumble, etc. Also, I have noticed recently they have stopped sending me ANY matches whatsoever. Honestly this is a scam and I would urge everyone to stay away from it.

Original review: May 14, 2019

This is from a customer who used Eharmony close to 10 years ago, then returned four years ago and has used it the past 12 months. At one time, I loved this site. It helped me to meet someone who has remained a special part of my life, and I literally can't imagine my life without this dear friend in it. I was a real believer. Then I returned to using Eharmony one year ago and was appalled. The site is rampant with fraudulent, scammer profiles. Matches would be pulled constantly with emails sent advising that it was deemed a suspicious or fraudulent profile.

Then came the day I encountered my friend's profile which she hadn't used for YEARS. Understandably upset at the matches I was being spoonfed, I contacted their support. Someone tried to convince me that such things do not happen, that old/unattended profiles are deleted. And that spam profiles are very rare because of the subscription base. Well I have a whole email collection of these notices. These fake profiles comprise the MAJORITY of the responses I've received within 12 months.

Oh and, for the record, I jumped to another online dating site and am doing marvelously, with several ongoing conversations at this moment. I wanted to write this review because I feel personally talked down to and treated like a fool to find out how they parade abandoned profiles or scammers in front of their paying userbase all to create the illusion that they actually having a thriving membership. It's all become window dressing, hiding that most of the real users have long since left EH. Don't get sucked into thinking that because they charge an insane amount of money, that EH is anything more than an inflated scam...real once perhaps, even wonderful...but it's long since turned into a zombie preying upon the legacy of its once respected name.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I had a paid membership on this site for two months, from approximately February 15, 2019 to April 15, 2019. I did not renew thereafter but my profile was still active. Today they closed my account for unknown reasons and sent emails to everyone I ever interacted with that I am some kind of scammer. Well, I soon found out the reason, it seems that a woman I went out once seven weeks ago fabricated some kind of story about me because I did not call her back. I know because she wrote me to gloat about it. I could care less that they closed my account, it is a terrible site with few matches less than three or four hours away, but impugning my character to others with no factual basis is too much. These people are the worst.

Original review: May 9, 2019

So I signed up for a single month and decided I did not like the platform and would not be renewing. Six months later to the day, I was charged $34.99. My first thought was that someone is using my card. How could this be? I contacted customer service which is a true misnomer, there's no "service" anywhere with this department. They take a long time to get back to you and don't fully address your questions so it takes over a week to get any real answers. Apparently, everyone who signs up, regardless for how long is put on auto renewal. eHarmony says this is to "ensure continuous service". They provided me with a link to their ten page Terms of Service stating that "all customers agree to this policy", essentially saying that I should have seen the tiny snippet buried in ten pages of legalese that says unless I disable automatic billing, I will be billed again and it's pretty much tough **.

This is beyond deceptive. It is clear that I only paid for a single month, since when do they offer six month memberships for $34.99? It is clear that I haven't logged onto their site for six months and it is clear that I did not know that my membership would be renewed after six months yet this company refuses to provide a refund. Unreal.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I have been using eHarmony over a month now and have had only 2 matches that I've liked and neither moved past the initial chatting stage. All of my matches were either not someone I'd consider dating or they were super religious (which I am not). If you consider yourself very traditional and very Christian, this is the site for you. If you are not conservative/religious, stay away. You can't even browse matches other than the 3-8 they give you a day, so tough luck there. The worst thing for me is when I tried to cancel and because I signed up for a monthly subscription, they wouldn't cancel until my subscription expires. This is really, slimy!!! I ended up canceling my credit card. If you do use them, use a gift card or something like that to sign up. I've had much, much better luck on free sites.

Original review: May 1, 2019

After a painful divorce, I decided to put myself back out there after it had been a while. After an intense questionnaire, I was only matched with 2 people. Really? After that long quiz and a pricey membership, that’s all? I even live near a highly populated metro area. I talked to 1 guy for about a month. Any time I mentioned us meeting up he kind of dodged the question. I started to wonder if this guy was legit, married or something. Somehow he let it slip that he knew my full name and everything about me. How? He admitted he hacked into my account! He said he works with security fraud and did it to make sure I was a real person and not a fake profile because he had been catfished before. That’s still not okay!

I was really upset that this person was able to get into my account and find out all my information. I contacted eHarmony but they weren’t very helpful. Just apologized. I was so freaked out that I cancelled my membership, blocked this person and had my credit card deactivated just to be safe. If just anyone is able to access your account and information, I don’t want any part of that site and it’s definitely not a trustworthy site. Overall? I think the site is a scam that preys on lonely people.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I spoke to a friend that used eHarmony several years used eHarmony (BTW, she did not someone from EH), so she said, "Save about an hour or so for the questions that eHarmony will ask!" So last week I did just that... then I register, start the questions excited about the possibility of finding as one of their founders says... "REAL"... BTW, what a joke... I pressed onward with the general profile Q&A, entered several REAL up to date pictures, REAL email, etc. and then the following additional BIG RED FLAGS started to occur...

First, I said I would join after I see what the website is all about. The questions are "NOT" or as "IN-DEPTH" as previously mentioned by my friend or as the eHarmony previously advertised in their respective commercials! eHarmony today (2019), is similar or the same-as other major dating websites when it comes to Q&A. (How are you to find a REAL person with such general questions with about a dozen or so questions)? So during this process of Q&A, I received one price during the registration process and of course, each time thereafter I reviewed the pricing was a much higher price during the week I was registered. Very discouraging!

The Ole' Bait and Switch game in pricing! eHarmony pricing model prays on the hopeful fact you are emotionally involved in this process whereby when you start receiving "interest" you will pay the higher fees to join, to see the profiles and hopefully find your true love. BIG RED FLAG... Then the first group of "Blurred Face" pictures of ladies eHarmony sent me, are total BS. Then there's more...

Get with 2019 eHarmony... People are going to try to at least see who really sent the profiles via the www, even your blurred obscured profiles. BTW some people actually know how to use the www. to review potential profiles in real time, real world. People are curious by nature! Some of us actually have the skillset to see if your profiles are true or false...

I did see one of a few ladies that her profile said she was 42, in fact, she is over 10 years older than her profile stated; she does not even live in the state or even the part of the country that here profile says... BIG RED FLAG to me... but let's face it as many of 50% lie on their respective dating profiles to some degree (me, not included! Come on people, you are paying for a service so why lie... it is your money, never start a relationship with a lie or you are doomed).

It was not the fact that this lady was 53, heck, I am 54 and actually like ladies around my age unlike most men around my age... it was the fact that this was one of the first profiles from eHarmony sent to me that was a complete and utter false profile, among the others that I received. This first week I received 11 profiles of which I would say that 99% were total BS and fake profiles. BTW, not one of these 11 profiles was a paying eHarmony profile, another BIG RED FLAG... I also live in a metro area of 7 million people, received a couple of profiles from the metro where I reside that were also 100% FAKE profiles, another BIG RED FLAG...

So after being highly discouraged with the whole online dating BS apps, I decided to say goodbye to eHarmony and delete my profile forever. The commercials, false advertising should be dealt with... However, under a further review of the commercials, eHarmony shirts the line between truthful and false advertising. However, the bait and switch in pricing once you enter your profile is real, oh again they have their lawyers do a great job in crafting the eHarmony Terms and Conditions, but still wrong with the Bait and Switch model regardless of how the Terms and Use reads. eHarmony prays on your individual wait and desire to be in a relationship to the utmost degree and they win or they would not still be here. Human nature says that if one person stops using a service such as eHarmony, there is another person to immediately fill that spot, Judge for yourselves! Me, 2 thumbs down on eHarmony.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Well, I had a very hopeful heart that eHarmony was going to aid me in finding someone to share the remaining of my life with. I had heard a lot of positive stories about people finding their love partner on eHarmony and since it was a paid site I thought it would be even better to find someone who wanted to make a effort to find happiness and love again. Boy, was I dead wrong. What I mean is with the expectation of two decent guys all of the others were out for one thing to have sex. I stated in my profile on the site that I was looking for someone to have a long meaningful relationship with and was not looking for a one night stand. I thought stupid me that people looked at your profile with some of the same feeling as me.

I guess I was so out of the dating scene for so long that I was expecting the better of there people. The only reason I even did this stupid dating site because I had lost the love of my life 5 years ago to illness. I was 39 years old and maybe just maybe wanted to start a friendship and fall in love again with someone special. In conclusion I would not recommend eHarmony to ANYONE!!!! Funny because I went on to another dating site against my better judgment to not only find a amazing man but also ask me to marry him. I feel all dating sites are TRASH???? Would never and will never do it AGAIN!!!

Original review: April 28, 2019

Don't waste your money on this service. It provides no added value over free dating apps. There are lots of "free" user profiles who don't have access to communicate but are sent out as matches regularly. Unless you live in a major city such as NYC there likely won't be sufficient active matches to connect with.

eHarmony response

Dear C, Thank you for your feedback, everyone who joins eharmony and completes our Relationship Questionnaire successfully is first matched as a non-subscriber. We give all of our members the opportunity to experience our successful matching process and therefore, both paid and non-paid members are included in the matching pool. If you'd like us to see what we can do to improve your matching, please email us from the email associated with your eharmony account.

Original review: April 27, 2019

Being one of the most expensive online dating sites it is frustrating to pay the money and then be matched with people who are trying for free and can’t actually communicate. And these people taking advantage of the free trial? Numerous scammers! A network of scammers from Nigeria and Turkey target woman on this site (and I’m sure others) to get money. I unfortunately was targeted numerous times.

The “scientifically proven” matching system is frustrating and fact you have to wait for matches and can’t surf for matches was limiting. I tried cancelling my subscription on the last day and upon cancelling it immediately renewed. I was then told that the policy stating that you can get your money back within three days does not apply for automatic renewals. How can they renew something that is cancelled?! I was told because they have “no way of knowing I cancelled before it was renewed” I cannot get my money back. The real kicker is my profile is closed yet I’m paying for it!!! The customer services was poor and all around a terrible experience costing me 270 dollars! ! Save your money and time!

Original review: April 27, 2019

I read these reviews and I am here to say I have had a very positive experience. After 3 months of sifting and going on dates I found my perfect match. We have been together for 2 years and we are 3 hours away. "Imagine that”. I have never felt so happy in my life. He was definitely made for me. I have tried a million other dating sites and got nothing but junk and a lot of catfishers so this was a big relief to finally find the man of my dreams on eHarmony. We are planning our big day soon and getting ready for our transition. I would recommend just sticking with it and God will send you what's for you.

Dear Leah,

Thank you for sharing your success and congratulations!! Stepping outside your comfort zone, especially with regards to Distance, can be really hard, but it can and often does make the difference for success. We're so happy to hear you took that chance. If you have not already reported your story to us, please email us from the email address on your account. We'd love to hear more about your story.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Eharmony puts people on their sites without knowledge that most of them are catfishers, the people that I spoke with either never responded or they were not real profiles. Very discouraging and no one in authority to speak to AT ALL! I asked for a refund and since it was past 3 days they would not give it, how would anyone know that it was a waste in 3 days. HOW can you possibly sleep at night knowing that people are being taken advantage of. The people that I reported WERE ALL TAKEN down, by you. I knew it and you didn't I again ask for a refund. This was a terrible experience and once that has turned me off from ONLINE dating forever. Please reconsider you have totally taken advantage of me and I am sure for other woman who don't know to report people.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Signed up because a trusted friend recommended eHarmony. I live in a city with 10 million people, yet I'd only get paired up with guys who lived 5 hours away or more - some of them 10 hours away! How are you supposed to date someone who lives so far away you'd have to drive 10-20 hours for a date?!? And, even if they had lived closer, there was not a single one who even caught my interest. (Tried Match, went on many fun and interesting dates.)

About three months after I signed up I tried getting my money back, but there was no way they'd return even a portion of it. A few months later, I logged on and saw that they had started categorizing people by race: Hispanic, **, **... Really??? Do they think people are afraid of accidentally dating outside of their own race? Is this the 1950's? I know they've been working hard to stay relevant in the ocean of new dating sites that pop up, but the results are awful. eHarmony is incompetent, inefficient, insensitive and insulting.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I used eHarmony several years ago and had such a positive experience. So when I decided to try online dating again, I definitely wanted to use eHarmony again. It was bad from the get go but I wanted to give it a fair chance so I used eHarmony for a couple of weeks. I finally got one match that I actually decided to share my number with and it was very obvious it was not the person and was extremely scary. I was definitely dome and was fine to cancel and pay for the three months already paid for about two weeks of "service " but they won't stop charging me.

eHarmony response

Dear Jessica, Thank you for your feedback and we are very sorry to hear you had a bad experience with a match. I want to assure you that we share your concerns regarding the existence of fraud suspects online. We have a dedicated team who works to review accounts proactively in an effort to remove fraud suspects before they are even matched. We'd like to see what we can do to alleviate your concerns, please emails us from the email on your account.

Original review: April 14, 2019

I keep receiving emails deposited to my spam monitor telling me that I have matches and I never registered for this site. I have emailed them twice for them to remove from their email list and they have not done so as of yet.

eHarmony response

Dear Gerald, thank you for your feedback. We're sorry to hear you've been receiving emails but have never signed up. If you could please email us from the email which is receiving the messages, we'd be happy to look into it.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I thought that E-Harmony would be a good place for online dating as you have to pay money to be on it - so less chance of BS or hookups (like Tinder, Bumble, POF). What a joke. Barely any matches, so I was asked to broaden my search perimeters. Then I started getting flooded with bizarre matches from all over the world. When I would click on their profile, I discovered they hadn't even filled out the profile - yet we seemed to be "100% compatible". Then there was the fact that in a two week span I had over FIVE termination notices for some of my matches... and I reported one as it was CLEARLY fraudulent. One guy even sent me ** images after telling me that he was just getting ready to spend the day with his family (since family meant so much to him). What a joke!!

When I decided to cancel, I was told that I was scheduled to pay up until SEPTEMBER... Wait, what??? No, I paid for 2 months - not 6. I wanted to cancel the rest of this scam of a contract. NOPE. And then when I tried to delete my account to stop receiving matches? NOPE. It showed the button to delete - but you can't press it. My guess is that they WANT my profile on there so they can shop it around to other men who are paying to be on the site. THIS IS A SCAM. Plain and simple. Sadly, their slick advertising makes them seem legit. E-Harmony, don't bother trying to contact me unless you are FULLY cancelling my contract with no auto payments coming out up to September. Your "customer support" team is ANYTHING but supportive. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME, ENERGY AND MONEY.

eharmony expert review by Mark Brooks

eHarmony is the largest dating site geared specifically towards long-term relationships and marriage minded singles. They claim to be responsible for over 500 new marriages every day in the US.

• In-depth entry questionnaire: eHarmony asks all of its members a little more than 300 multiple choice questions before allowing them to enter into their ranks. This in-depth questionnaire is geared at giving the site enough information to help provide you with qualified potential matches.

• No Searching: In sharp contrast to other dating sites, eHarmony does not allow members to search directly for matches. Instead, it uses the answers from the questionnaire to provide you with a selection of daily matches that should be compatible with your needs and desires in a partner.

• Guided Communication: Instead of sending off an email or wink like you would do on most sites, eHarmony takes members through 4 steps of guided communication before allowing you to continue with open communication with a new match. The guided communication is designed to help assure compatibility and that you don't waste energy on bad matches.

• Best for: People looking for long-term relationships and marriage.

Profile picture of Mark Brooks
Mark Brooks Online Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.

eHarmony Company Information