eHarmony
eHarmony
1.08/5

eHarmony Reviews

Los Angeles-based eharmony (www.eharmony.com) launched in the United States in 2000 with its patented Compatibility Matching System® which allows eharmony members to be matched with compatible persons with whom they are likely to enjoy a long-term relationship.

Customer Care Information:

Email Support: UserSupport@eharmony.com

Hours: 24 Hours, 7 Days a Week

Chat Support: www.eharmony.com/chat

Hours: 8am - 5pm Pacific, Monday - Friday

Refund Policy: Regarding the Singles Service, the buyer, may cancel the Agreement, without any penalty or obligation, at any time prior to midnight of the third business day following the date of Agreement, excluding Sundays and holidays.

View More View More

2071 eHarmony Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

My account was hacked. It was taken over by a hacker who probably used a rainbow table to match my password hash. I was not notified by email that an account change was pending my email verification, it just happened. This is the weakest and worst user security policy I have EVER heard of. They do not work on Sundays so this hacker ran amok for 24 hours with me having to try and mitigate damage by messaging all my matches. Finally I got ahold of chat this morning and they could not help. Then at 2:30 I receive an email saying they had closed my account. Nothing they can do. Scorched earth for my account. So long eHarmony. This is the final straw. First you change your format and become just another expensive Tinder, and now this.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I signed up with eHarmony on around September 2018 and it has been a month and my experience with them is horrible. I get fake profiles matches sent to me indicated that they are interested in me, but when I replied, I get no respond. I had only one man communicated with me, but I doubt if he is real since he has only one picture on his profile. The rest of the matches are just ghosts. I guess I will be stuck with a contract for a few months since they wouldn’t refund to me. As they said eHarmony will continue to withdraw my money whether or not I’ll be still using the site.

I’m trying to hide my profile but they said, "Because you are a paid member, we can’t close your account." I guess they are using my profiles to target to other prospective customers as if I’m an active member. I have using other dating sites before and I get many interests but with eHarmony is like 1 to none. Will do research to find a way to get eHarmony regulated. Do not sign up with this site or you will be bored to disappointed.

Get expert buying tips about Online Dating Sites and Services delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Eharmony is horrible. I thought that if I joined a paid dating site, it will be better than the free ones. Man, was I wrong! The people on this site weren’t members so they couldn’t respond to messages. I got no matches, and the ones that I didn’t match were not my type. I got a multi payment subscription and I contacted customer care to cancel. But since it was a multi payment subscription I wasn’t able to. They were still going to charge me even though I wasn’t using the service anymore. Just like any other subscription, I should be able to cancel if I’m not using it anymore, right? Wrong! Not with them. This site is a total joke. Stay away!

Dear Michelle,

I'm sorry to hear you have been unhappy with eharmony so far. Please know that members without a subscription can view profiles, send/receive smiles and questions. We do hold back viewing photos and reading/responding to text mssgs for subscribed members only. Regarding your matches, I'd be happy to take a look at your account to see what we can do to improve matching for you. Please email us from the address on your account at membercare@eharmony.com and reference this review.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I joined so I can find quality Polish men. Because I am Polish and proud. I love my ethnicity and I want to marry the same kind. You can't even search for someone that is Polish. It's either **... Indian... **. What about like our nationality??? That's so important to me and eHarmony failed. For what it's worth, I will be deleting my account.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

In general, every online dating site scams consumers and eHarmony is no exception. Join for free? Sure, except you can't really do anything. But eHarmony and the rest do that to pad their user base. Read the other reviews and you will see a common complaint is that people don't respond. Why, because they are not paid subscribers or their profiles are old and outdated and these folks are no longer looking. What about eHarmony's revolutionary "matching" system. Pure crap! I have been matched with people whose values and beliefs are way off. Think Trump supporter vs. Progressive values. It seems impossible to meet people the old way, in real life, but sites like eHarmony gives people false hope. This simply is garbage the way they run their company. P.S.: Do not leave any negative feedback on eHarmony's Facebook page: you will be blocked.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eharmony?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I joined eHarmony for three months. I answered, I believe, 1,000 questions, their max, which took a great deal of time; I hoped I would be presented with matches that would truly correspond with my beliefs and interests. In my opening statement (profile) I stated that I have been a vegetarian for 40 years. Why did I then receive many suggestions of matches to men who chose in their profile picture to display the huge fish they caught, at some time? I had another suggestion for a man whose profile picture showed him hunting. What?

I discovered that most men participating in eHarmony (if they are even real) would write a profile but not bother to answer ANY questions, so any matching was really random. This was a disappointment, and a waste of time. When I did respond to a profile, which was rare, I got a notice from eHarmony that the individual had "moved on." I hope my picture, profile and answers are still not floating in eHarmony for possible respondents to learn that I have "moved on", if they seek to meet me.

Dear Janet,

I'm sorry to hear your experience has not been the best. I do want to clear up some confusion. We match based on the Relationship Questionnaire taken when you register and Match Preferences. The questions you answered on the QA tab as well as the information in your Profile are not used for matching. They are means for you and your matches to know each other.

You can reach out to us at membercare@eharmony.com. Please write from the email address on your eharmony account.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I hadn’t been active on the site because of a family trauma. When I went to become active again I discovered that I had been locked out the whole time even though they were still charging me monthly. I have no hope of getting any kind of credit for this after reading the reviews here. I just hope my experience can save someone else. Be sure to cancel right away after whatever free period if you are not entirely satisfied. They will not give refunds. And sadly their money-grubbing attitude means you are unlikely to get many matches. And frankly, I’d be worried about only meeting scammers or dupes at this point. By the way, when I was active I did have a scammer try to learn things like my mother’s maiden name and such. I confess it took me a bit to realize that someone claiming to be an Englishman was using a kind of usage and grammar that indicated that English was not his (or her?!?) first language. Be careful about what you share.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

eHarmony has often been touted as one of the best sites out there to possibly meet and marry your future spouse. The testimonials they give are endless. However, this review is not about that. In 2010 I started using their services. By 2012, I had gone on a few dates but they were small and roughly about 2 a year. Wanting to try something different, I asked eHarmony to permanently delete my account. They talked me into spending less money per month and said "things take time." By late 2012, I had permanently deleted my account as I felt I was wasting time and money.

In 2013, around October, I decided to give it a go again. By 2015, I had been on 2 dates. No one I met had clicked with me. Or I with them and each time we mutually decided to call it a day. By August 2018, I had emailed quite a few matches, etc. Very few ever responded and 2015 was the last date I actually went on from someone from eHarmony. So, I asked them for a refund. Hoping that I could maybe get this year's charges refunded. They refused and instead offered me 3 free months. I did not want free months and told them so. They said they couldn't refund me anything and I then simply asked them to delete my account; something they still have not achieved at the time of this writing.

I've spent a lot of money on this site. Losses of over 1k. At this point, if I saved all the money I could have invested it. Relationships are hard and at this point I'd rather meet in person. I'm not mad at eHarmony that I don't have a spouse by now, etc. I'm mad because each time I asked them to cancel they refused. Barely responded to my emails and I had to threaten a lawsuit to get them to delete my account; which still hasn't been deleted. For a website that upholds relationships as valuable, these guys can't even give quality customer service. And I find that most disheartening.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I have been a paid member of eHarmony since the beginning of November 2017 -- a one-year subscription. Every day I write to the interesting profile and "What If" profiles that interest me (3 to 6 daily). In this entire time, not one "real" person has written back, every message has been from a scammer. I joined eHarmony because in 2008, I found a partner through the website however she moved abroad and ended our relationship - sadly. In those days, the system worked because only serious people were using it because eHarmony implemented a three-step process of questions before open communication, so anyone who worked through that with you had 1) learned something about you, and 2) invested some time in getting to know a little about you --- in other words, they were serious about finding a date.

In the new system, open communication is possible immediately, through the canned questions, and the only communications I have had have been from scammers -- they give their email or phone and soon after that ask for a plane ticket or money for their dying relative, etc. eHarmony uses its members to identify scammers, and so the site is dominated by phony profiles with one picture, maybe two, and profiles with barely a sentence describing themselves. I called eHarmony several times to ask about these problems, and their reply was that they would not allow me to "manipulate their system" to get more dates. Well, zero is the number of dates that eHarmony has introduced to me --- it does not get worse than this. The eHarmony online dating system has failed, and I recommend saving your money for other ways to meet a life partner.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I joined to meet people around my age (58). I completed the lengthy profile and loaded the recommended number of photos. 100% profile completion. The first couple of days I received a few matches and then apparently I went through them all. I called and was told my preferences were too restrictive. I explained I did not want to open the restrictions to receive matches I did not want. They explained it could minimize the number of matches I would get, but they did offer me an additional free month for my time which is why I gave a two star rating.

I do get one or two match recommendations once a week typically. However, the most recent one was from Roatan, Honduras...NOT within my preferences. I do get many “What If” matches (I think this is code for “What if” you are feeling desperate) every other day or so thrown out there to let me know they haven’t quite given up on me. I signed up for a year because I realize it’s a numbers game, but I am not satisfied with a company who asks me to adjust my preferences...to settle for mediocrity. I can do that on my own if I wanted to do that. “What If”...

Dear Michelle,

Thank you for your feedback. We do want to honor the preferences you've chosen, but the more restrictive ("very important", narrow ranges) the setting, the harder it is to find you matches. We do recommend keeping an open mind on settings and trying to be a little flexible. You can always close out a match that doesn't interest you. Please email us at membercare@eharmony.com from the address on your eharmony account and I'll be happy to see if there's anything we can do to help.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I joined eHarmony at the beginning of August. They advertise the compatibility test, up to 5 matches a day (so little so you can focus on just those matches), they tell you to be completely honest and to think about all your answers in order for you to receive the best matches for you. In the 1 month that I've been a member I've received a total of approx 8 matches. I got matches the first 2 days then 1 a week and now maybe 1 every 2 weeks if any at all! I told them I want a refund, I'm paying for a service that is not being provided.

They told me to change my match settings preference to allow more matches, said I should change things like my religious beliefs so they can find me more matches. So first you tell me be honest so we can give you the best possible matches and now you tell me to change what I really want so they can find more matches. No thank you. Things like religious beliefs are very important to me and I'm not about to compromise on that stuff. After being a member for 1 month I felt that I had given it sufficient time to see if it would get better. They told me there was a 3 day return policy. Well the first 3 days were great, it was after that that the service was not provided anymore. In the end they refused to give me my money back. Not worth my money at all.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

An "Incognito" button appears below left. When the user looks a button pops up stating "YES I WANT IT" without notification of the $24.99 charge the consumer is about to immediately receive. Thus once activated eHarmony charges $24.99 to your credit card. No warning, no popup, no banner, no carrier pigeon, text, or email. Just a flat out deceptive charge. Eharmony fails to provide prior notice to consumers prior to the action and is engaging in deceptive business tactics. I have decided to retain legal counsel and file a Class Action on behalf of all eHarmony users who have been misled by the "INCOGNITO" button and the hidden charge.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I rejoined after a very long hiatus because of the deep discount they offered for only $9.95 a month. Beforehand I recall they required the 29-point "matching" preference that included age and location, but nowhere did I answer any 29 questions, including the age or location preference. Just a few pages asking about my Likes and Dislikes on a 1-5 point scale over meeting someone, dating someone, and my marriage objectives. And each login to check for messages the Age section defaulted to 35-65, not at all my range of 40-55. I messaged their customer service 3-times and received no response. I canceled my subscription immediately. Sorry, but nobody deals with crap customer service on an overpriced dating site, with too many better competitors out there.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I have been a loyal eHarmony customer for over 6 years. A couple years ago they gave me a stellar monthly auto renewal rate once I reached the age of 65. Recently, they said my account was "compromised", and they deleted my account, mail, and my matches. I had to create a new account from scratch with a new email, once approved, I was back up and running. Here's the kicker - they said my cheap rate was no longer available - and hit me with a price increase! I am standing by the fact that I believe they shut my account down just to hit me with the new rate! Unacceptable! They said my old rate was no longer available! Nice business strategy!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Like wandering around blindfolded in the dark trying to find someone. One match removed because he wasn’t up to their standards. Nobody responded to messages save a VERY well spoken truck driver whom I assumed was a fake profile and a couple of matches in other countries. So then I just sent smiley faces to everyone they suggested and so far the only response was ‘sorry you are too far away’. Which was true. Nobody contacted me AT ALL which one could surmise maybe I’m just not attractive, who knows, but really? I cancelled my 3 month membership after the first 2 weeks. From what I am reading, I hope I don’t have problems with that.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Okay first of all I believe I have been scammed out of a 6 month membership from eHarmony. Like many of the reviews before you're told that you will receive X number responses in your area and you never do. Like one of the reviews before I would send out the icebreakers and would never receive responses from local man. I tried to cancel my membership and was told that it has to run its course for those 6 months yes. And then out the blue I received an additional $14.95 charge for profile highlighting which I never approved.

When I try to obtain a refund eHarmony became rude and belligerent which I am very certain they can see the effort I tried to put into using their site with no response. Mind you I'm not superficial but as a woman looking for love you would think at some point I will receive a valid potential connection but I did not. eHarmony is the biggest Racket and scam out there on the dating scene. Apparently their algorithms and whatever statistical analytics they use to match potential interest together does not work for the average consumer.

They need to be shut down immediately and their advertising needs to stop because they are doing nothing but scamming singles out of money. I have very few friends who have been successful on this website. Most of my friends have been successful on free websites. I don't feel that is fair and ethical for eHarmony to continue to scam people the way they have been doing. I agree with the other reviewers that some of the profiles must be fake implanted and the pictures boost it offline. This is a company that needs to be stopped immediately.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I joined eHarmony a few months ago expecting at least a few local people around my area as I don't drive so didn't want them to be too far away. Anyway, they told me that there were quite a few in my area and I had a very good chance of having a meeting with a few nice people like myself. However, once I had joined up (for a year's membership) I only got a few and every time I sent a smile or replied I got nothing back at all. I emailed eHarmony asking them about not many people contacting me, and they just told me that I had to extend the distance to get more response even though I had said that I just want local people in my area. After two months I still haven't had one single person get back to me and just want a refund. But I've been told that I can't as I'm in a contract for a year. What a waste of money and I will never join this again. It's put me off dating forever!

eHarmony response

Dear Nick, I'm sorry to hear you haven't had the best experience on the site with a lack of communication from your matches. While it's true that no matter what, there are some matches that just aren't going to reply, I'd be happy to take a look at your account and see if we can do anything to improve your experience. Please email us at membercare@eharmony.com from the email address associated with your account and we'll be happy to see what we can do.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I seriously think that eHarmony creates fake profiles in lieu of actual breathing respondents. Oh, I believe the pictures are real but taken off the WEB and then a profile and account attached to them. All of the specific questions that I made up were never responded to, BUT the computer generated questions that EHARMONY gives you to use as an option responds. I believe these are generated by a computer program and when you write your own the computer doesn't know how to respond so there is NO response. SCAM.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I joined eHarmony, it seemed safe, as their commercial says, people need to pay to be on the site, so it is safer. Not in my experience. Every single person (8 of them) that I responded to in a 2 week period was removed from the site. They don't say why, just that they did. I called and asked for a refund as I am not comfortable responding to anyone on the site. They gave me a story not to divulge personal information, blah, blah, blah. Hello! It is a dating site, and again according to the commercials, a place to go where people are looking for a committed relationship, and yet I am not supposed to divulge personal information. So I am out the money, but at least I didn't give out personal information to the deviants on the site.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

When I signed up I only saw 15.99 a month, when I wanted to cancel within a month I was told I can't and I have to pay in advance more. It's such a scam. I was not clearly notified that I only have 3 business to cancel in order to get refunds or nowhere says I have to pay installments in advance for the whole year. I emailed them and they were not friendly over the phone or email, just told me that no they won't make an exception. It's not working at all, no messages, just waste of money and time. Amazon refunded me 100% after 6 months for my Prime Amazon fees! Why eHarmony is so bad and all the info is hidden until only when I realized it's not working at all. I can't believe such a "reputable" company would do such thing! I want my money back!!! And cancel it!!!

Original review: July 28, 2018

I can't believe this company. I am definitely thinking of suing them. I found someone and we began talking for a while and it seemed we were developing strong feelings for each other. Don't be fooled like me. His name was Robert but he had an accent, he said he was Italian and a Building Contractor in New York. His pictures are probably of someone else. He took time to get to know me and talk to me. It makes me sick and I feel extremely stupid I wanted to go see him in New York and always made an excuse so I stopped asking. Then my company send me out to New York for work and I told him and all of a sudden he is leaving to Dubai for a month. Unfortunately he scammed me of $400 dollars because Roaming was expensive in Dubai along with canceled plane tickets I stupidly booked.

But then when he tried to extract more money from me I caught on. I blocked his phone number. Now I am left heartbroken, used, feeling like a total idiot which I am after this experience and scared. We supposedly exchanged pictures of where we live. I send him photos. I told him my travel itinerary. He really worked me for several months. A year ago I lost my husband of 10 years in the line of duty. I feel worse now, heartbroken, deceived and in a worse mental state than I had been before this mess. I will never try a dating site again. I will never know how much damage I might have done to my personal information and my safety. Learn from my stupidity. Don't sign up to eHarmony or any dating sites.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I also signed up and spent a great deal of time creating a profile. I had 1 match only completely outside of my parameters in terms of distance and age. After reading the reviews on here I decided to close my account. Once I got to that page I magically now had 9 "new" matches waiting. This company is a scam. Don't waste your time or your money!!!

Original review: July 21, 2018

No local matches and the few that responded were somewhat mysterious in their candor! Tried to cancel after 2 weeks and was CONNED into paying for the full 6 months subscription!! I consider myself a fairly attractive guy, I do better flirting at different social events. It's a numbers game! eHarmony has nose-dived in quality ever since Neal retired from the company, what's left is a bunch of CON artists, and subscription mongers!!!

Original review: July 17, 2018

This site is awful. When you get matches, they are outside of the parameters you set. When you set parameters to very important, which I feel is acceptable since I don't want to date someone old enough to be my dad, you get nothing. The funny thing is, all this didn't start until I took off the auto renew feature. Now it has been almost 2 weeks and no matches at all, no visitors to my profile. Seems kind of scandalised to me.

When I write to the company they say, "No can't cancel should have the terms and here a copy. If you want to delete your account let us know but we are still going to take your money for the year." And I didn't even know I signed up for a year since that process was so complicated I thought I was paying monthly not for the whole year in 3 consecutive payments. All I have to say it run, run very fast and don't join this site. I will be telling everyone I know how horrible it is. There are so many better options out there that have better customer service.

eHarmony response

Dear Brenda, I'm sorry to hear you have not been happy with the number of matches available. Setting a preference to 'very important' does limit what the system can find for you, but there may be other factors affecting matches. For subs, the terms of payment are laid out during the subscription process, I am sorry that you found that process confusing. I'd like to see if we can help with your match concerns. Please email us at membercare@eharmony.com from the email on your eharmony account.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I realized right away that eHarmony does not have enough people joining to be able to supply reasonable matches to their customers. They were all in different state and well over 50 (my age range was 36-46). I even changed the setting to very important and still received one match from another state. I sent an email within the cancellation period requesting they cancel my account, well they never responded so I sent a follow up email, never responded.

Sent a third email threatening to contact the Better Business Bureau if they didn’t respond, within hours I get a response telling me I’m past the cancellation period so I will not get a refund. I explained that I was within the cancellation period and how no one bothered to accept my request to cancel to which they basically replied, "Too bad, you’re not getting a refund." I’m not sure how they think this type of unethical business practice is acceptable but they are sticking to their guns. It’s a shame there are companies this fraudulent nowadays.

Original review: July 13, 2018

When I joined eHarmony, I did it sort of as a game, a way to meet some people, maybe have a little fun, but nothing serious, as I had just been abandoned after an 18 year relationship. But I spent the days required to fill out all the questions they ask to find your perfect match. The daily matches they sent were hundreds of miles away, and none of them listed a marital status, which makes me suspicious. I must have sent friendly messages to at least 50 guys in the two months I used the service. I think two replied back, with the exact same wording. They both said to my questions as to if there were real people on eHarmony, and if they had met someone yet. They both answered in the exact same words. "Yes, I have, Keep trying. Good Luck!" None of the other guys I wrote simple "Good morning. How is your day?" Or "How is the weather?" Or whatever, no one else replied.

So either your messages go to a computer that occasionally spits out Yes, I have, Keep trying. Good Luck! Or no guys that use the site want to find a friend, relationship, or partner so they don't respond to messages. I think this is just a hoax site, like someone else said to ferret out personal information from the masses. And those of us desperate enough to try to find love on a site like this are just the prey they are looking for, stupid enough to give them all kinds of personal information about us, and then dumb enough to pay them to take it, and most likely sell it for profit somehow.

Let's see, they know where I live, everything about my personality, my surroundings, my place of work, what bank I use... Did I give them my blood type too? Was that one of the hundreds of questions they asked? Damn, I should have lied. Oh yeah, another thing. I asked Mr. Smarty Computer pants, who said that he had found someone and I would too, and good luck. I asked him, "Is it strange for one to wonder why you are still on here if you "found" someone?" Within 20 minutes his account was disabled. So, was he real? Do people really find matches on eHarmony?

I think it's **, and I wrote to cancel my account. They collect your money and send phony profiles to you. Most of the people look like they could be Freddy Krugger's brother. After reading all the other reviews on this site, I'm convinced that this is a total scam site used to con innocent desperate lonely people into giving away information that is probably used to sell to people who make false identities. I entirely expect to find that my personal information given to this site will be used to try to obtain credit under my name. Fraud in other words. eHarmony is a big fat FRAUD!

Original review: July 8, 2018

I did not get many matches, maybe two in three weeks that were within the parameters I set. I used the service initially and was able to cancel within three days and get my money back. I decided to try again, and thought maybe I should leave it there longer; this decision was a HUGE mistake. When I tried to cancel my account I was told that I could not because they were planning to collect two more payments of $80 something dollars to pay my subscription out over the next year. I contacted customer service and was told that I should have read the fine print. I understand that I agreed to those, but good business is doing the right thing. Match.com does not do this to their customers.

Nordstrom will let you return shoes that you have run in, even if they are dirty, simply if you find them to be a bad product. I sent in a request to customer service and asked them to do the right thing. Keep the 80 some dollars I paid for the three weeks that I used, (which is a joke anyway, considering that if you call in to complain they will offer you a ten dollar a month deal) and close the account. They declined and said I had to pay the other two payments to close it. I am a single mom with a disabled child that I raise alone, I have had to go through the hassle of calling my bank to stop any charges, and was advised to close out the account in the morning. Please DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE.

Original review: July 3, 2018

Don’t waste your time or money. Months on the site with NO replies from anyone YOU have an interest in. The only messages or interest you’ll get is from Senior citizens that look like they can’t move out of the chairs they took their pictures in! Consumers affairs or the BBB should look into shutting eHarmony down...there are enough complaints to have a class action lawsuit!

eHarmony response

Dear Susan, I'm very sorry to hear that you have had any concerns over a lack of communication. If you'd reach out to us at membercare@eharmony.com from the email on your eharmony account, I'd be happy to see if there's anything we can do to improve chances of communciation and your matches. While we can't do anything about physical attraction, if you are receiving matches older than you'd care for, adjustments can be made.

Original review: July 1, 2018

I signed up for a 3-month trial through eHarmony. I spent hours answering their online questions as I gave every attempt to be completely honest and transparent. I set my match searches for men between ages 57-65; and my search range within 60 miles. None of these are unreasonable. However, every match I received (62 in the first 48 hours) were either 50-55 or 68+ - both of which were outside my search requests. When I contacted them to resolve the issue, they failed to send me any match until I sent a complaint - after which I was sent one single match, who was again age 70.

Since that time I have received no matches at all. I feel that eHarmony's advertisements are a sham, and that their touted claims of being a top matchmaking company are nothing more than bravado and falsehoods. They tell me to widen my search, but who wants to be matched to another person that lives 4-8 hours away? Tell me how that is conducive to dating? eHarmony has proven itself to be a major disappointment. I would never recommend this dating site to anyone; nor will I ever give them another dime for a service they cannot provide.

Dear Sarah,

I'm sorry to hear you have not been happy with your matches. You may be receiving matches outside your settings due to the importance level. If you are at less than "very", the system will relax those settings in order to find more matches, if none can be found within the specified range. If you'd be willing to reach out to us from the email address on your account to membercare@eharmony.com, I'd like to see what we can do to help.

Original review: July 1, 2018

Nothing but a honeypot to collect personal information. Created an account, entered truthfully all the correct information. Went back and started to edit and add more information. Checked my email and 20min prior got a notice that they closed the account — but, with the account closed switched back to the site that was far eager to collect even more information. What hackers call a “honeypot” - Eharmony is doing this “legally”, hidden under mountains of “privacy, terms of service” all without giving a direct answer. DO NOT GIVE UP YOUR PERSONAL INFO TO THIS COMPANY. GDPR & Right to be forgotten -> EHARMONY.

eharmony expert review by Mark Brooks

eHarmony is the largest dating site geared specifically towards long-term relationships and marriage minded singles. They claim to be responsible for over 500 new marriages every day in the US.

• In-depth entry questionnaire: eHarmony asks all of its members a little more than 300 multiple choice questions before allowing them to enter into their ranks. This in-depth questionnaire is geared at giving the site enough information to help provide you with qualified potential matches.

• No Searching: In sharp contrast to other dating sites, eHarmony does not allow members to search directly for matches. Instead, it uses the answers from the questionnaire to provide you with a selection of daily matches that should be compatible with your needs and desires in a partner.

• Guided Communication: Instead of sending off an email or wink like you would do on most sites, eHarmony takes members through 4 steps of guided communication before allowing you to continue with open communication with a new match. The guided communication is designed to help assure compatibility and that you don't waste energy on bad matches.

• Best for: People looking for long-term relationships and marriage.

Profile picture of Mark Brooks
Mark Brooks Online Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs OnlinePersonalsWatch.com. He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.

eHarmony Company Information