1.11/5
Based on 46 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

48 Cupid.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 14, 2018

I am appalled that anyone could use a dating site to blatantly steal money from innocent people. The scammers pose as interested men but the idiot conversations via WhatsApp soon makes you think that these are bogus people posing as engineers and doctors. When I tried calling their numbers they never answered but called me briefly. The conversations were very suspect and they were always in a hurry posing always as half Italian but with awful accents! As I am no fool I feel upset and violated that I shared personal stories with these idiots. The police should be informed and TV consumer programmes alerted. It seems that they are targeting older women who think may have money. What disgusting human beings. They have made me feel exposed and an old fool.

Original review: June 24, 2018

I joined this service because I was playing around on the website and saw that I had received messages and there were numerous interests in my profile. I signed up for the three day $2.99 trial. This did not unlock the account so I could explore the website. I tried calling their customer service and was put on hold forever and then told to press one for a callback. So I requested the callback and started researching the website (which I should have done before giving my credit card number) and found this Consumer Affairs site. After reading how this is basically a rip off scam, I called my credit card company and asked how I can prevent this company from making additional charges to my card. What I had to do was cancel my card and have them send me a new one, which is way easier than having to deal with these thieves. Lesson learned, and I'm only out three dollars.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: May 26, 2018

I signed up for one month to try Cupid.com. Easy enough. But a few hours later on the first day, I was online in the middle of messaging someone and was shut down and told I had been blocked! No reason given and their customer support is horrible. I get auto responses but no help AND I started getting emails from men who said they had met and seen me on dating sites. I had never heard of with UK.com. addresses!!! Very frustrating because I can’t even log back into Cupid.com to straighten this out - it directs me to a “sex in the UK” form! In addition I was automatically upgraded adding to the expense without my knowledge or consent charging me $31.96 instead of the $23.99 I agreed to.

Original review: May 24, 2018

This site makes it so difficult to leave, and having tried to do so within their complicated system several times, I FOUND I WAS STILL BEING BILLED! I was promised a refund, but then they changed their mind. Stay clear, not just because of the above, but most of the contacts seemed to be gold diggers... You have been warned.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I set up two separate accounts to test their site. One page I used a random photo of a horse in the wilderness. The other a picture of Tom Brady. Both accounts instantly received 20-30 messages but no profiles views. Which means the messages were sent by bots or people who never even looked at your page. Falsified profiles aimed at getting you to upgrade subscriptions. PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD THAT CUPID IS A SCAM SITE. THEY PREY ON LONELY SINGLE MEN. Don't be a victim.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cupid.com?

Original review: April 11, 2018

I set up a profile and paid the subscription. I found the website busy to say the least, with masses of messages and solicitations arriving from all over the world. I cancelled the subscription after 2 days, using the 14-day UK cooling off period as prescribed by consumer legislation and documented in the Cupid.COM Terms of Use. Cupid neither issued emails when accepting subscriptions nor replied to requests to cancel subscriptions. Although the account was downgraded, they did not return the subscription. Instead, a similar account was opened at LoveAgain.COM and it seems my refund was used to fund that account, but without my agreement.

I have kept the emails I sent and the automated response Cupid.COM sent, so there should really be no problem. I must remember to ask my bank to block them from my account when I put in a claim. My experience is that Cupid.COM does not operate according to their own Terms of Use and therefore I feel justified in stating that I found it to be operating outside of applicable law.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I am single and 60 and signed up for a 3 day trial period at a cost of $2.97. But... after the time period was up, I checked my bank statement and saw I had been billed $29.99 for another month. This isn't right to do to someone. I never signed up for anther 30 days on this site. Their billing and debit to my bank account caused me financial hardship as I was not expecting this charge and it caused me to bounce other bills that I had expected. The quality of men on this site leaves something to be desired too - so DON'T SIGN UP FOR ANY ONLINE DATING SITES UNLESS YOU READ CAREFULLY THEIR BILLING POLICIES.

Original review: March 3, 2018

But the biggest trouble is their Wingman actions, who will find a slight match when you’re offline and tease them with cutest, stupid sexy opening lines. May work for person who will date a farm animal, but hooks you up as if YOU said the words, thus leading them on, I’m 65, no prude, but at times have been mortified to “see a man they’ve hooked me up with and you feel you have to say something. I canceled my membership in less than 24 hours, it still working. Also Zoosk will nickel and dime you to death. Going to Match and/or eHarmony! These are much better although I haven’t done this since 2004.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I set up an account with Cupid.com on 1/11/18, went through the whole process and tried to upgrade membership, had issues with PayPal and when I went back the PayPal option was no longer available... I reached out to the admin e-mail as the site instructs you to do so, and a get some generic reply message about, if you would like to cancel your account follow the steps in settings. I replied back that I didn't want to cancel membership and explained about the no PayPal option any longer. And because I had answered all of their interest questions the 50% pricing was available.

On 1/12/18 I called the customer service number and spoke to someone and they put the PayPal option back, however the pricing that was up now was the higher amount. I referenced that I should have the 50% off pricing and the representative said, "Oh, that's only good for the first day of the account." I said, “There were problems with your site and I should still be able to have that option.” She then became aggressive in her tone... And started with their scripted **. I asked to allow me to talk and had to interrupt her several times to seek that. With me saying again, “That isn't fair that I'm not able to get the 50% off pricing because of your site's issue.” She proceeded to tell me, I'm only able to use their fee option since they aren't accepting any type of payment from me... Which confused the hell out of me!

I asked for an explanation and she was rude as ** and said we can choose who we want to accept payment from or not. And when I asked for an explanation again, the ** hung up on me!!! I called back waited on hold forever and when the line was picked up, they hung up on me again!! I would stay as far way from this site as possible, RUDE ** PEOPLE, and ** customer service! Sorry had to vent, that sort of service pisses me off! Hope this review helps prevent someone else from having to deal with them!!!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

STAY AWAY. Scammer Cupid.com are thieves. BY ALL Means stay away from cupid.com. If you choose the 3-day trial for $2.97, they will right away charge you for 29.99, 23.11, 2.97 or more at the same time, claiming they added extra features that you never asked for. Plus they will contact you with staff profiles (posing as real dates) to get you to sign up for their services. Plus there are plenty of fake profiles, just to name a few. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR CARD INFORMATION. Beware.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I have not found a "decent" date. Meaning this seems to be a married man hook-up site. They either are "widowed" or their marriage needs spicing up. It is not the site's fault. I understand that but really screen your matches carefully. I have since given up on dating sites.

Original review: June 7, 2017

Stay away from this site!!! It's filled with SCAMMERS!!! The guys are all widowed, live out of state, and look like models but they are really creeps sitting in Nigeria. They claim to be civil engineers, widowed with a young child, conveniently working overseas saving the world! They give you a song and dance and fall "head over heels" with their victim. My scammer thought he had a live one... Wrong. It's embarrassing as it took me a week of texting the creep to wise up and do a little homework and found the poor guy he was pretending to be. Thank god he didn't get a CENT out of me!! Beware!! When you try to cancel your membership you have to call a number and the person on the other line could barely speak English and argued with me about cancelling. It's really a shame that these dating sites are just overfilled with scammers!!! I would rather be lonely and single!! Save yourself the aggravation, time and money and stay away!!

Original review: May 7, 2017

When I first signed up and created my profile on Cupid, somehow my gender selection was wrong. After uploading some of my photos I checked my profile and saw it read "male". I went through the steps as prescribed on Cupid to request my gender changed to female. I looked back at my profile and saw my uploaded photos were gone so I uploaded again and went through the steps to request my gender change on my profile. (Requested gender must match your uploaded photos). Well, since my uploaded photos just disappear, I am in a conundrum. After several messages to Customer support, have received no response. My next step is filing a complaint with the state Attorney General's office.

Original review: March 12, 2017

I had a paid account with this website for year. During my (6 months + 6 months) one year membership, I received chat and messages from like 500-600 women. What a coincident, all of them were African scam. What more interesting, people I reached out myself also were scam. Spend some hundred dollars to see how deep it goes. Turn out it's infinite...

Original review: July 21, 2016

I joined Cupid.com and realised immediately that I had made a mistake (literally 10 minutes later). The terms and conditions stated that I had 14 days to change my mind. I was relieved that I was well within this timeframe and seeing as I didn't activate my account I assumed that my refund of £30 would be made within 24hrs. 10 days later, I have not received any acknowledgement or any contact from this company. I would like to exercise my consumer rights and for my money to be return to me immediately.

Original review: April 17, 2016

Cupid.com has many scammers trying to rip people off.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2016

Cupid.com stole money from me and I never signed up with them. I don't know how they got my information or my credit card number. They took 140.00 out of my account without me knowing, did not get any emails with an account name or password but yet they took my money. How do I get my money back and put a stop to future scams.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2015

Cupid is a criminal operation. Most US banks will not let you use their credit cards to sign up for a reason -- Cupid will renew your paid membership even when you have an end date. They hide the place where you get to stop the subscription. Most people have to google to find the page. It is also filled with romance scammers -- and they are not removed even if you report them. I know, I've reported them and they were never removed. If you want waste money join. If you want to meet real people go somewhere else.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2015

I had written you about Match.com and the various foreign men that tried to scam me. Well I decided to also to go to Cupid which I believe is owned by the owners of Match.com and also Zoosk. My results were horrifying. I found many profiles being shared amongst the three dating sites. Many of the men's backgrounds as far as where they lived, their name, phone numbers, their age, and if they were widowers or married, proved to be inaccurate or false information given by them. Some of the men I questioned all seemed to be in business for themselves.

When I asked to meet them they were either too busy working either in or out of the country or did not show up. I then decided to tell each one that said how much they really liked or loved me that they had to show me a picture ID or license and a bill with their address on it to prove to me that they were who they said they were. Well guess what happened? These men who were so in love or liked me a lot completely dropped off the face of the earth and even their phone numbers are changed. These dating sites are not providing the consumer a true picture of these men. They could do some basic things to make sure we get the dates that we deserve and the service we paid for. I think it there is fraud going on here and the people getting hurt are us the consumer.

Original review: May 18, 2015

I'm appalled in the inconsistency of repeat billing dates as it appears Cupid are winding the clock back on every anniversary by a factor of 3 days - suggesting there are thirteen (13) months in a calendar year, not the standard twelve (12). I agree to pay fees on a monthly basis but at the same date during the month which has not happened. It's equally frustrating making multiple formal requests (with visual pictures) outlining your billing policy page is faulty or perhaps simply does not exist. I have clearly stated in my correspondence, you have failed to supply a copy of your billing policy, complaints procedure(s) or refund of my account. You have failed to notify myself of any price increase(s) plus have not supplied any receipts for payments taken.

The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 applied from the 13 June this year (2014) and set out new rules on information to be given to customers, the cancellation rights which your customer will be entitled to, and the express consent needed before you can charge for something. The only receipt I have is 16th March 2015 stating one month's membership (inc communications upgrade) which expires 15th. Please explain why fees were drawn down on the 13 April and then on the 11th May 2015.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2015

I joined Cupid.com and paid, as I thought, for one month. Somehow it added £14.90 on as Premium Membership which I didn't want. I sent an email and I then had an email saying my membership had been cancelled. I queried this. Having then looked at the calibre of people on the site, I decided for a full refund which I requested. Despite putting the acceptable mileage from my home and age group of men, I was getting communications from as far as 250 miles away and young men younger than my eldest son. The whole thing seems a total sham. Despite repeated requests under the distance selling act for a full refund, all I am getting is emails offering me special deals with their other sites. I had one email saying they were unable to trace my payment. I have referred this now to my credit card Company. They also operate under different names including Over 50 dating which is what I joined.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2014

LOL, terrible site. Tons of scammers from Nigeria and Ghana.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2014

I canceled membership 5 days before the deadline. Still got charged, apparently just like many other customers. If you people are serious about protecting consumers, these people (Cupid.com) should be investigated and put out of business!!!!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2014

These guys are scam and people like this have ruined internet. Fake profiles galore. Customer Support claims to help but they do nothing. Nobody is sending us emails except BOT. They will not cancel account. They will not refund even though within 24 hrs I contacted them this is BS. Some reason, over a month now PayPal hasn't refunded. Guess Cupid ** have convinced them they are legit. I am back to PayPal regarding. Much better chances/opportunities at your local bar. Good Luck.

Original review: July 22, 2014

I want a complete refund of $** ... and here's why: Scammers, scammers, scammers. I know that there's been contact with hundreds of people. I've marked many as scammers with the system as they exchange contact information with me. Then in private communication, they send photos that they claim to be themselves. When I use a reverse image search tool at Google I see within a few seconds every site of each photograph they've sent me exists in a ** gallery of a known ** star.

Know that I've reported 35-50 accounts as scammers. And I know there is double (or maybe triple or more) that number that I could have reported as scammers but forgot their Cupid.com login to know which Cupid.com account is was what specific scammer. I noticed that all accounts that contacted will have a Cupid.com location here in the USA or even Europe. They are never in the USA or Europe (that I've seen). They eventually present evidence of coming from Ghana or Nigeria (by looking at email headers or they admit it themselves in private conversations arranged elsewhere).

There were even times they'd ask what I was doing. I even said 'finding scammers'. They ask what a scammer is… I tell them. Then they reassure me that they aren't a scammer and I won't have a problem with them. They declare they are new to the internet and internet dating, and I'm the first person they've ever talked to. Then within a few minutes, they do the same thing as the other scammers. They send photos of a known ** star to hook me onto the looks of the ** star saying they are that person. I catch them in their fraud and identity theft, confront them with it, and they break contact with me. That is when I'd report them as a scammer on Cupid.com.

If someone were to have told me Cupid.com was a gross waste of time, energy, and money before I joined and paid for it, I'd have never done it after knowing what I know now. I wouldn't be so upset if there was one genuine person a week over the last 90 days. That'd have been 12 people that could be real. But that wasn't the case. I had one that I could report with high confidence to be a real person. All the remainder of those that chatted or winked at me was a scammer... which is hundreds of people. Yes, literally hundreds of people. With a Cupid.com app on my smart phone or tablet, I can connect with 20-30 scammers in a day pretty easily, which makes a couple hundred in a week; and I suppose into the thousands of people had I done it every day for the whole 90 days.

Had I not been so good at detecting the scammers and stopping them before they could actively pitch me on an idea to send them money to bring them to the USA, and I was gullible (like many people on the internet is), I'd imagine I'd have been scammed for thousands of dollars. I imagine there are hundreds (maybe thousands) of people that are unsuspecting members of Cupid.com that are being actively scammed as we speak. Even though Cupid.com is not responsible for the scamming, they are an accessory of the scammer to get more business via the availability of the unsuspecting clients at Cupid.com that have well wishes of good things to come.

Please refund all monies spent at Cupid.com. If Cupid.com had better methods to patrol/police/validate those that are signing up, then it would not be such a scammer-rich environment. There might be some success with romance with a few. I'd not be surprised that one success occurs after hundreds or even thousands of more successful conversations and transactions of fraud/identity theft. Please refund $** immediately. I think I've been patient long enough.

Original review: June 3, 2014

After doing the free search, there were a couple of people I wanted to contact. So I paid the $12.00 one year fee and also the fee so they could contact me for free if they weren't members. So, I set up the search so that I could message and they were gone. Where before I had paid, there were maybe 20-30 members in my area, now there was only one.

Original review: March 14, 2014

This site scammed me. I signed for one and got charged for three, for seven months.

Original review: March 2, 2014

Very dissatisfied overall. Was charged far more than advertised for a site that didn't work well at all. Save yourself a lot of hassle. Avoid Cupid.com.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2014

Horrible online dating website. All woman (as I am a man) I met on site lied about where they were located. If you actually got a response it was also a total lie - women just trying to bilk money out of you. If you did send a response to a person, there would be no response and then if you moved forward that person's picture would be associated with a different domain name and a different state - country - area. TOTAL SCAM. Plus after the first day of realizing I had been scammed I tried to deactivate my account - cancel my subscription and there is no way to accomplish this. STAY AWAY FROM THIS SITE. TOTAL SCAM.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2013

Same experience as all these other comments. Paid £3.00 for 3-day trial in Sept 2013. Just got my bank statement on Nov 11 2013 and over £100 has been taken out. They are not interested in any of my complaints and they maintain I asked for upgrades to my 3-day trial WHICH I DID NOT. Steer well clear of these rogues. I'm only happy I spotted these withdrawals from my account before they fleeced me completely.

Cupid.com Company Information