1.89/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

921 KitchenAid Dishwashers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I purchased KitchenAid 24 Tall Tub Built-In Dishwasher Stainless Steel (Model: KDTE104ESS) two years ago and today it stopped working. I called Whirlpool technician and he mentioned that pump stopped working and he quoted me 400$ for that. The new dishwasher costed just 600$ and the repair cost is more than half of the price. KitchenAid doesn't cover parts or labor. I see many reviews related to the pump failure. KitchenAid quality has gone downhill.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I bought my KitchenAid dishwasher model KDTM354DSS5 from Best Buy on December 10th 2017. I noticed my dishes weren't coming out clean and went on a trip to NY. When I got back my floor was covered in water. I called the repair center at Best Buy and they told me the warranty expired on the 10th of December 2018. What the heck - 9 days later and you can't cover it. They sent me to a call center and the lady sold me service plan for $286.00. I called the service provider and they told me I can't use it for 60 days and that they won't cover the repair since it happened prior. Do not buy KitchenAid which is Whirlpool in disguise. I spent over a $1000.00 for a dishwasher that didn't hold up for a year. It is the pump. A very costly repair.

Get expert buying tips about Dishwashers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I purchased the KitchenAid dishwasher model KDTM704ESS0, for around $1400 in 2015. After three years of light use (there are only two of us) the wash motor seized up and needs to be replaced at a cost of $500-$600. I called KitchenAid and they told me the motor was no longer in warranty so they would do nothing. This is my fourth KitchenAid dishwasher in forty years. None of my other KitchenAid dishwashers have ever needed a repair of any sort. In fact, I have never even had a service call on any of my other KitchenAid dishwashers.

The previous dishwashers were replaced due to kitchen remodeling or upgrading, not because they stopped working. I cannot believe that a main component of this expensive dishwasher would last only three years. I would think twice about buying a new KitchenAid. I know two other people who have had their KitchenAid dishwasher motors fail after only approximately three years. Sad that the KitchenAid quality isn't there anymore! Also sad that the company is OK with a customer spending $1400 and having the product last for only three years!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

My KitchenAid dishwasher model KDTM354DSS was installed in 2016. Now it is less than 2 years old, but it started to leak at the pump at the bottom. This was a $1000 replacement for an old dishwasher that worked. This doesn't make sense considering the price. Will not buy KitchenAid.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I bought the Model #KUDH03DTSS2 KitchenAid dish drawers. I loved it at first. Two dishwashers in one, operate separately. Cost over 1000.00. Then the problems. All covered under extended warranty. The Inlet and outlet Bezel part replaced at least 8 times. Said it was a manufacture's bad design. Inlet and outlet Bezel parts made of plastic, when taps broke, that meant water on the floor. The control panel replaced at least 3 times. It is very difficult to find a service repair place that is familiar with dish drawers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KitchenAid?

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

The dishwasher functioned marginally for about a year and then got worse. Theoretically, it "works," so it cannot be "fixed." It runs through the cycle normally, but the dishes do not come out clean. They have grease films, coffee stains, fingerprints, and spots. All of this must be removed by hand washing. Not much point in having a dishwasher. I have tried the longest cycle and additives of all sorts, but nothing helps.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I purchased a Kitchenaid dishwasher model kdpe234gps0 8 months ago. I have always like Kitchenaid, however this dishwasher has been a thorn in my side because it does not dry my dishes. It is almost easier to handwash and dry the dishes and be done. Instead the dishwasher runs for a long time and when you open to put up dishes you then have to dry each and every item. I would not recommend this product.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

To KitchenAid Dishwashers: Compliments and thanks! KitchenAid has stepped up big time, so I want to update my November 7 negative review of dishwasher model # KDFE204EWH. This morning, we got a very nice phone call from KitchenAid’s customer care people. They will pay for the part replacement and the installation labor. In a happy coincidence, their local authorized service operation happens to be the same (first-rate) dealer we bought the dishwasher from, so I know the follow-through will be there. Two takeaways: At least one of the “squawking platforms” that we used for our complaining this past week did the trick, so complain widely! And It likely also helped that we promptly registered our purchase with KitchenAid, so they already had all the details.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

We purchased Model No. KDFE204EWH in September, 2017. Fast forward 14 months, and the thing doesn’t work. Three symptoms: 1) The detergent pod wouldn’t dissolve. 2) The dishes, etc. got a light coating of moisture, but that’s all that happened. 3) No washing, rinsing, or heat drying occurred, no matter what cycle I tried. Diagnosis: The dealer’s service person who came out yesterday told me it needs a new washer motor! We agreed he’d call me in advance if this replacement part costs more than $200. I am already out $90 for the service call, and will have to pay for labor for the installation.

For this $700 dishwasher, the economics do not look promising. We might just give it the heave-ho and buy a different brand. Ironically, our previous KitchenAid dishwasher lasted 19 years without any problems; it never even needed a service call. We only replaced it because we were replacing two appliances and figured the dishwasher was probably about due. What a mistake.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Very poor cleaning performance. To get clean dishes, you become the person in that commercial who must wash the dishes thoroughly before putting them in the dishwasher. As my daughter says, this isn't a dishwasher, it's a sanitizer. What doesn't come clean? A coffee cup that sat overnight (coffee stains remain), a dish that was rinsed and 90% scrubbed that was put into the dishwasher immediately (before the food dries), knives with even a tad of peanut butter that was not 100% scrubbed off. Salesman told me it was their best seller and could "clean the spots off a cat." They tell me that for my dishwasher to perform this badly, it must be a lemon.

After nearly an hour on the phone with KitchenAid , I learned that if they send a technician out to check it, I'll owe $120 for the service call if the "only problem is that the dishes aren't clean." Yup, unless a service code/error comes up, I'll owe for them checking to see why it cleans so poorly. "Cleaning dishes" does not constitute a "functional failure" therefore dirty dishes are not covered by the warranty. Another call with a supervisor and they're finally sending someone out and promised not to charge me as long as the technician can see how the dishes don't come clean (not a problem...since that happens every time).

UPDATE: A trusted service technician came out today and ran it through its paces. No error codes. Nothing "wrong" though he agreed that the dishes that were not cleaned were something that he's experienced too. He said that the machine is "as good as it can be" and noted that the poor cleaning is probably from the new engineering that uses much less water. He suggested using TOUGH and HI TEMP every time and that it might cut the dirty dishes down to 10% or so. Not exactly a rave review and since it's not "defective" I'm stuck with a dishwasher that only sanitizes. The tech told me that any decent dishwasher does NOT require you to wash the dishes first; He said that a good rinse that removes the food particles is enough. He agreed that a dishwasher should actually do much better than the selection of still-dirty dishes on my countertop after the testing. But per KitchenAid, there's nothing wrong with my machine.

If you're okay with COMPLETELY washing the dishes before putting them into the dishwasher OR rewashing about 1/4 of the load after doing a thorough rinsing before this machine, then buy it. It's very quiet and pretty. But if you expect a dishwasher to wash dishes well, don't say I didn't warn you. When you pull your dishes out after doing a load in this machine, you will remember this cautionary tale. I'll admit that I usually dismiss one or two bad reviews -- that person must be super picky or to the unit was a rare lemon. I'm here to tell you that IF you get a machine like mine, and you go to KitchenAid for support, you'll be logging on to write a review that continues my warning to others.

KitchenAid expert review by ConsumerAffairs

KitchenAid has been a household name since the release of its first stand mixer in 1919. The company has nearly 100 years of experience crafting kitchen appliances to an exacting standard.

• Nine wash arms: Where other dishwashers make do with three washing arms, KitchenAid dishwashers use nine to ensure all dishes get clean, regardless of placement.

• Window and lighted interior: Do you hear a banging or clanging during the wash cycle? There's no need to pause and open the dishwasher when you can look through the conveniently lighted window.

• Unique clean-water wash filter: Water gets filtered while in use to remove food particles, and the filter is self-cleaning, so you don't waste any time cleaning it yourself.

• Super quiet operation: With dishwashers as quiet as 39 decibels, the only problem with a KitchenAid dishwasher might be remembering whether you've already turned it on.

• Pro scrub: While KitchenAid doesn't make a wide variety of models, the ones it does make come with features like pro scrub, which uses 40 jets to tackle the worst baked-on food messes.

• Best for: Families, homeowners and apartment renters