KitchenAid Dishwashers

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans
Overall Rating2.4 out of 5

About KitchenAid Dishwashers Reviews

For decades, the KitchenAid brand has been synonymous with kitchen appliances. The dishwashers are known for several important features: high load capacity, robust wash systems and quiet cleaning. These convenient features and a reliable brand name often translate into high costs. While KitchenAid has dishwasher models in the top-of-the-line price range, several models are on the high end of average.

Pros & Cons

Pros

• Third-level rack
  • Sound level as low as 39 dB
  • Triple filter helps prolong life

Cons

• Premium price tag
  • Slightly longer than standard cabinet

Bottom Line

KitchenAid dishwashers are an investment, but they are a reliable choice. While it’s a high-end brand, there are affordable models. Features like a third rack, triple filter and quiet operation make these dishwashers a great choice.

Featured Reviews

Verified
Middle River, MD

This dishwasher replaced an old Kenmore one, and the KitchenAid cleans so much better and is a lot quieter. I also like the styling with the sleek front and no huge buttons sticki...

Verified
Summit, NJ

The dishes are always cleaned and dried. The Bosch never dried the dishes. Have had several Kitchen Aid dishwashers and I would not hesitate to get another. My children have them ...

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

About KitchenAid dishwashers

KitchenAid dishwashers have several design options to choose from. Options include:

• Front control panel
  • Top control panel with towel bar
  • Top control with a pocket handle
  • Panel ready
  • Front-window models

While the glass window doesn’t offer any performance improvements, it’s a nice visual feature.

One design aspect to be aware of is the dishwasher size. KitchenAid dishwashers usually measure 24½ inches or 24¾ inches. This is slightly longer than the 24-inch kitchen cabinet standard. If you’re looking for a dishwasher that fits seamlessly with your current cabinetry, a KitchenAid model may not be the right choice.

How do KitchenAid dishwashers work?

KitchenAid dishwashers have several features that make the brand a popular and reliable choice. A third rack, for example, is a feature that is growing in popularity. Many KitchenAid models with a third rack also have rotating wash jets.

The dishwasher’s triple-filtration system helps customers prolong the life of their KitchenAid appliance. Each model has a screen filter, a coarse filter and a microfilter. This helps remove food particles from the water and prevent them from making it back to the dishes. It also helps stop the drain from clogging and saves energy by allowing the dishwasher to reuse water.

The most important feature of a dishwasher is how well it washes. The standard wash arm on most KitchenAid models is designed to reach every part of the dishwasher. Most models also have the ProScrub feature, which has 40 targeted spray jets that eliminate the need for prescrubbing or soaking.

Another notable feature available is the ProWash cycle, which automatically determines the ideal cycle for dishwashing based on how dirty the dishes are.

KitchenAid dishwasher prices

Since KitchenAid is a household name for kitchen appliances, the brand carries a premium price. KitchenAid dishwashers can range from $800 to as much as $1,900 if you choose a premium model. That said, there are more affordable KitchenAid models and ways to save on your purchase.

On average, you can expect to pay about $1,000 for a midrange dishwasher. Always check flyers or contact your local dealer to ask if there is an upcoming sale. Finding the right deal can save you hundreds of dollars.

KitchenAid dishwashers FAQ

How long do KitchenAid dishwashers last?

The expected lifespan of a KitchenAid dishwasher is about 10 years. You can extend your dishwasher’s life by removing scraps from plates, regularly cleaning the filter and removing hard water residue.

Are KitchenAid dishwashers reliable?

KitchenAid is one of the most relied upon names in kitchen appliances. With proper maintenance, a KitchenAid dishwasher is a reliable choice.

Where can you buy KitchenAid dishwashers?

KitchenAid dishwashers are available at most major appliance retailers. The KitchenAid website will help you find the dealer nearest you.

How much do KitchenAid dishwashers cost?

KitchenAid is a premium name in kitchen appliances. A KitchenAid dishwasher’s cost is slightly higher than average, ranging between $800 and $1,500.

Are KitchenAid dishwashers good?

KitchenAid dishwashers are consistently rated as a high-quality choice and offer all of the options that a customer would want. High storage capacity, strong washing systems, quiet operation and a thorough filtration system make KitchenAid dishwashers a good option. While KitchenAid dishwashers may take you to your budget limits, there are still options for those who want to save some money.

KitchenAid Dishwashers Reviews

ConsumerAffairs has collected 1,107 reviews and 854 ratings.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KitchenAid Dishwashers?

Reviewed Sept. 25, 2023

I've been very disappointed with our Kitchenaid KDTM354DSS5 dishwasher. First, it is not as quiet as my daughter's Bosch dishwasher. But most importantly, it frequently breaks down. Specifically, there are a number of plastic pieces that are part of the tray supports. Most of these have broken at one point or another. Last time I almost decided to get rid of it and buy a new one, but went ahead with the repair. Sure enough, after a few months, another part broke.

Verified purchase

Reviewed Sept. 11, 2023

This dishwasher started leaking with a failed heating element just over one year of purchase. While somewhat quiet, we missed the damage since we run the dishwasher at night (floors were dried out in the morning). Our floor, subfloor, and portions of the wall in our basement and behind the dishwasher were permanently water damaged and needed to be replaced - Kitchenaid (Whirlpool) was no help and we were forced to file a claim with our insurance company to replace the floor and repair other damage. Now, this 3 year old dishwasher's pump just failed. Maybe we purchased a bad appliance, but we have lost all faith in this brand due to the extensive damage, outages, and failed components. Would not recommend.

Thanks for your vote! Report

Get buying tips about Dishwashers delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Verified purchase

Reviewed Aug. 23, 2023

Purchased this dishwasher from Home Depot 3 years ago and the motor has already given up and is not under warranty. The replacement motor ordered is the same motor and life expectancy of it is also 3 years; cost to replace approx. $450. This, in my opinion, is not a viable dishwasher to own.

Reviewed Aug. 18, 2023

Our dishwasher quit working after 1 year and 8 months. The motor had to be replaced at a cost of $500 which we had to pay because of a 1 year warranty. This dishwasher cost close to $1000.00 and we expected much better quality from KitchenAid. When the dishwasher is working it is very good but we just can't justify such an expense in this short of time and with only 2 people in the household using it.

Reviewed June 19, 2023

I bought Kitchenaid, thinking it was a good product. We spent over $8,000 on appliances. After 3-1/2 years the ice maker on the $2,200 refrigerator stopped working. The repair was $400. Today our $900 dishwasher stopped working, and the repair bill would be $600. Both appliance technicians said the problems are common and well known to Kitchenaid. I will never buy another Kitchenaid appliance. The technician recommended LG or Bosch if you don't want problems. I wish I'd bought the Bosch as it was actually cheaper.

Reviewed June 18, 2023

I replaced a Bosch dishwasher with a KitchenAid and I must say I am very impressed. The Bosch worked for 12 years, but it never really dried the dishes that well. My KitchenAid gets everything spotless and absolutely dry. It has a great third rack that really frees up a lot of space on the lower racks. I can put coffee mugs and drinking glasses on the third rack as well as spatulas and other flat utensils. It gives me more room on the middle rack and allows me to put my 6 quart mixer bowl in the dishwasher instead of having to hand wash it. A real work saver. And it is also so quiet I can barely hear it running. This is absolutely the best dishwasher I have ever owned. I look forward to many good years using this dishwasher.

Reviewed May 17, 2023

I bought this dishwasher during covid. We were remodeling and it set in a box. I spent the extra money on KitchenAid because it was supposed to be a reliable brand. I have already replaced the drain and replacing another part tomorrow. I have $468 in repairs so far and it is not working. I've researched online and it seems multiple around this year have the same problem. KitchenAid should stand behind their products!

Reviewed April 25, 2023

I purchased my KitchenAid dishwasher while building a house. During Covid, it was very difficult to get appliances and I was asked to get them plenty early so I would get what I wanted. By the time it was installed, it was at the one year mark of their warranty. (There were a few unexpected delays due to weather and worker issues.) When the dishwasher was installed it did not work. I called KitchenAid regarding this situation and was told they were going to extend my warranty period three more months due to this situation as it is essentially a new dishwasher.

Three weeks later and multiple calls to KitchenAid when the repair service didn’t call or arrive, I get a difficult customer service rep who tells me the problem is that the dishwasher is out of warranty. The others on prior calls knew this had been decided but failed to tell me. So, essentially, I purchased a very nice kitchenaid dishwasher that was not at all inexpensive. It didn’t work from day one. Never completed one wash cycle. KitchenAid would not warranty their product. I find this to be very disappointing. All the other appliances were whirlpool. I contacted whirlpool to discuss my situation and they completely agreed that my warranty should begin at the date installed and updated my warranty to one more year. I had zero problems with their appliances, by the way. I will never purchase another KitchenAid appliance. Ever.

Reviewed April 7, 2023

I had this dishwasher for less than 3 years and it went on fire. The piece for the drying feature cooked and began to smoke. My husband shut down the electric and pulled the dishwasher out. We have a fire extinguisher and used it. Thank god my husband was home. He pulled it out and the wires were cooked and smoking. I called the company and told me it will take two weeks to get a tech out.

Reviewed March 19, 2023

Bought a model KDTM404KPS0 in June of 2022. By October the dishwasher had trouble draining and produced an error code. Requested warranty repair and in mid November the KitchenAid subcontractor comes to the house and quickly identifies they need to replace the motor assembly and control panel. Says the root cause is some kind of short circuit that KitchenAid is well aware of and seem unable to determine the exact cause...therefore both components are replaced but the cause remains unknown. Tech also advises that unless you follow-up constantly with KitchenAid customer service you will have a very long wait for a repair. After waiting for over 2-1/2 months (now early February 2023) and occasional automated messages from the sub-contracted about parts being back ordered/unavailable I start to press customer service by phone (BTW, several online parts retailers do have the factory parts available, but somehow they can't get them).

I plead with CS them to exchange for a new DW and stop waiting for parts...Do the right thing and take care of your customer. What happened is CS explains that now the repair has been "Escalated" and placed on "High Priority". I was told that they reserve a 22 business day time period to produce the parts before they would exchange with a new DW. They agreed to ship the parts directly to me and then the sub-contractor will install. In about 1 week I receive a motor assembly in a rather large generic box and the part only had a single flimsy layer of bubble wrap. Closer inspection had about 10 small plastic pieces broken off in the bottom of the box. The part was totally useless with bent metal mounting tabs, broken plastic, etc.

I recontact CS in early March after day 23 and expect a higher level of handling/support. NO. I request to speak with a supervisor and in about 3 hours a 'Customer Service Lead' calls back, explains that the repair was not 'Escalated', not 'High Priority'...but is now, AND, they get an additional 10 days to send the parts before any other option of resolution will be considered. I have received another motor assembly, this time in a factory box and well packaged. Still waiting on the control panel and I'm doubtful it will come in during the newly crafted 10 day window...If past 'support' is a predictor, they will not place my satisfaction as a priority. In short, this DW has been with me in a broken state longer than it has been working. Customer support is horrible at all levels. Long wait times, mis-directed call forwarding, return to phone tree, ill informed staff. CS are english speaking/fluent and clearly spoken...That is a plus.

KitchenAid Dishwashers Company Information