3.9/5 (344 ratings)

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

About KitchenAid Dishwashers

For decades, the KitchenAid brand has been synonymous with kitchen appliances. The dishwashers are known for several important features: high load capacity, robust wash systems and quiet cleaning. These convenient features and a reliable brand name often translate into high costs. While KitchenAid has dishwasher models in the top-of-the-line price range, several models are on the high end of average.

Pros

• Third-level rack
  • Sound level as low as 39 dB
  • Triple filter helps prolong life

Cons

• Premium price tag
  • Slightly longer than standard cabinet

Bottom Line

KitchenAid dishwashers are an investment, but they are a reliable choice. While it’s a high-end brand, there are affordable models. Features like a third rack, triple filter and quiet operation make these dishwashers a great choice.

Top KitchenAid Dishwashers Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

This dishwasher replaced an old Kenmore one, and the KitchenAid cleans so much better and is a lot quieter. I also like the styling with the sleek front and no huge buttons sticki...

Verified

The dishes are always cleaned and dried. The Bosch never dried the dishes. Have had several Kitchen Aid dishwashers and I would not hesitate to get another. My children have them ...

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

About KitchenAid dishwashers

KitchenAid dishwashers have several design options to choose from. Options include:

• Front control panel
  • Top control panel with towel bar
  • Top control with a pocket handle
  • Panel ready
  • Front-window models

While the glass window doesn’t offer any performance improvements, it’s a nice visual feature.

One design aspect to be aware of is the dishwasher size. KitchenAid dishwashers usually measure 24½ inches or 24¾ inches. This is slightly longer than the 24-inch kitchen cabinet standard. If you’re looking for a dishwasher that fits seamlessly with your current cabinetry, a KitchenAid model may not be the right choice.

How do KitchenAid dishwashers work?

KitchenAid dishwashers have several features that make the brand a popular and reliable choice. A third rack, for example, is a feature that is growing in popularity. Many KitchenAid models with a third rack also have rotating wash jets.

The dishwasher’s triple-filtration system helps customers prolong the life of their KitchenAid appliance. Each model has a screen filter, a coarse filter and a microfilter. This helps remove food particles from the water and prevent them from making it back to the dishes. It also helps stop the drain from clogging and saves energy by allowing the dishwasher to reuse water.

The most important feature of a dishwasher is how well it washes. The standard wash arm on most KitchenAid models is designed to reach every part of the dishwasher. Most models also have the ProScrub feature, which has 40 targeted spray jets that eliminate the need for prescrubbing or soaking.

Another notable feature available is the ProWash cycle, which automatically determines the ideal cycle for dishwashing based on how dirty the dishes are.

KitchenAid dishwasher prices

Since KitchenAid is a household name for kitchen appliances, the brand carries a premium price. KitchenAid dishwashers can range from $800 to as much as $1,900 if you choose a premium model. That said, there are more affordable KitchenAid models and ways to save on your purchase.

On average, you can expect to pay about $1,000 for a midrange dishwasher. Always check flyers or contact your local dealer to ask if there is an upcoming sale. Finding the right deal can save you hundreds of dollars.

KitchenAid dishwashers FAQ

How long do KitchenAid dishwashers last?
The expected lifespan of a KitchenAid dishwasher is about 10 years. You can extend your dishwasher’s life by removing scraps from plates, regularly cleaning the filter and removing hard water residue.
Are KitchenAid dishwashers reliable?
KitchenAid is one of the most relied upon names in kitchen appliances. With proper maintenance, a KitchenAid dishwasher is a reliable choice.
Where can you buy KitchenAid dishwashers?
KitchenAid dishwashers are available at most major appliance retailers. The KitchenAid website will help you find the dealer nearest you.
How much do KitchenAid dishwashers cost?
KitchenAid is a premium name in kitchen appliances. A KitchenAid dishwasher’s cost is slightly higher than average, ranging between $800 and $1,500.

Are KitchenAid dishwashers good?

KitchenAid dishwashers are consistently rated as a high-quality choice and offer all of the options that a customer would want. High storage capacity, strong washing systems, quiet operation and a thorough filtration system make KitchenAid dishwashers a good option. While KitchenAid dishwashers may take you to your budget limits, there are still options for those who want to save some money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KitchenAid Dishwashers?

Original review: May 31, 2022

I wish I read the other reviews before purchasing. We bought this after waiting over 11 months for it due to shortages. It was installed in November of 2020. Initially it leaked. The installer came back and fixed it. Then 1 month later, it started making noise. The repair person came back and we have been waiting for the part since then. 15 months. Yup, now out of warranty. Part is still not here and now the motor housing is leaking. Apparently, Whirlpool/KitchenAid do not make these parts as replacements since they don't expect them to fail this early in the life cycle. Hmm. But they do. So we have to pay $390 to buy a part that MIGHT become available in 6 months. So they want us to keep a non-usable dishwasher for 6 more months in the off chance that it will be fixed?

Support your products. I cannot even speak to anyone from KitchenAid about this. I have been on hold for hours. Nobody calls back. The online chat hangs up because they can't do anything about it and tell you to call them. They offered to do the repair for free, this one time, but there are no parts so they could offer whatever they want because nobody in their right mind would keep a non-functioning dishwasher for that long. I can't believe that they are able to do this to customers. This is a true review. I now have to toss a 15 month old dishwasher and buy a new one. NEVER BUY KITCHENAID!! They are now trash.

Original review: May 28, 2022

We purchased the KitchenAid KDTM354DSS4 in February, 2022 because it was so highly rated by Consumer Reports. After a couple years we had to replace the motor. I have just finished replacing the fourth plastic piece in the dishwasher. Their plastic simply wears out and breaks.

Get buying tips about Dishwashers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 20, 2022

We bought a top of the line, KA dishwasher. It has NEVER gotten the dishes clean. It leaves a residue all over the dishes. KA has had 3 techs out, none of them have even tried to fix it. PLEASE, don't buy!

Original review: April 18, 2022

Purchased a Kitchenaid dishwasher and finally received it after a 2 month delay due to product not being available. Almost immediately, the spray arm fell off and could not be put back on. Took two weeks to get the part and have repairman install it. Within 18 months, the motor began making horrible groaning noises and dishes were not properly cleaned. Repairman was sent out, said, "No worries, it's normal." Two months later, the motor was dead. I have now been without a functional dishwasher for four months now. Kitchenaid has no replacement parts, and no plan to remedy the problem. A $1400 dishwasher, and no replacement parts. No reply from letters sent to upper management, same song and dance from online and phone reps. I will never buy another Kitchenaid or Whirlpool appliance. The company has gone to ** in a handbasket.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

The KitchenAid dishwasher I purchased in November 2019 is pretty, and it's the quietest one I've ever had. When it's running, it's hardly noticeable. But...it's simply not good at thoroughly cleaning every dish and utensil, especially for the price point (≈$900), to warrant spending the money on it. Add to this, it is horrible at drying the dishes/utensils. I would not purchase again. I bought a suite of KitchenAid appliances when I got it as part of an entire kitchen remodel. The double-oven, dual fuel range and above-range microwave with vent are fantastic, and the cabinet-depth refrigerator is decent. But whoever designs and then builds KitchenAid's dishwashers needs to go back to the drawing board. Next purchase will be a Bosch. Stay away from this model from KitchenAid.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

Updated on 03/28/2022: KitchenAid assured me the product would be fixed free of charge. On March 22 they told me the part was "lost" and within 3 days they would call me to have it repaired. It is well over 3 days and unfortunately they still have not contacted me. I have been without this dishwasher now for 3 months. Horrible customer service to accompany a horrible product.

Original Review: I bought the KDTM604 top of the line dishwasher on July 26, 2020 from Lowe's. I spent good money and had to wait forever. Well I am sitting here today writing a review because two weeks ago it broke and the service man was just able to come check it. So the pump is already broken. Before you wonder I must say, I am single so I do not use my dishwasher a lot and I do not use the highest setting. I use all the products they told me to use including the all important RinseAid (which I do love). So if you do buy this product get an extended warranty, but I would just not buy this product.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

We built a new home and purchased all new appliances, including a very expensive KitchenAid dishwasher. The electronics burn out (and nearly cause a fire) after seven months. Kitchen Aid does not support its own product but relies on unreliable subcontractors. After already waiting for repairs for two weeks, now we are told the parts are not available. Frankly, I do not want a defective dishwasher to be defectively repaired. So far, KitchenAid will not honor our requests for a new dishwasher. This is poor product support and customer service. These are expensive dishwashers that you should avoid.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

We are incredibly disappointed and frustrated about our KitchenAid purchase. 14 months ago, we purchased an entire set of "stainless steel" KitchenAid appliances and costing over $13,000. In such a short time frame, the "upgraded" appliances are starting to rust. It is apparent that the "stainless steel" is not true as advertised. Instead, they sold us basic metal that is polished to resemble stainless steel. Considering the KitchenAid brand we expected unparalleled products and customer service. Needless to say, we called the manufacturer and they will not acknowledge the fraud and will not replace or repair.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2021

Nov Posted by Amna 11/28/21 7:55 PM. I bought a kitchen aid dishwasher 4 months ago. It's stopped working right after one month. I called customer support and warranty, they said that they don't have any availability until next month. We waited patiently and the services guy showed up finally after one month. He took a peek at the dishwasher for 3 minutes and claimed that the motor has stopped working. He said that he does not have an extra motor and he needs to order one. He claimed that the motor would arrive by next week and he could come and install it.

It has been 2 months now and the guy never shows up! We are calling and calling the customer support and there is no response. After a long wait time the call

Disconnects. I would never ever recommend kitchen products to anyone ever! They have the worst customer service and they have no empathy for their customers! I am disappointed because I overpaid for this kitchen aid dishwasher. The worst company ever people! Never ever waste your money on such cheap and low quality and of course useless products!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

We bought a KitchenAid dishwasher in 2019, and while it is very quiet (nice!), plastic parts on the interior assembly have started to disintegrate to the point that they are breaking off. And we don't run it often as a household of two. Why is it that manufacturers cheap out on parts so much these days? Maybe plastic isn't meant to be washed and baked at high temperatures. Can we please go back to the old school appliances that last for 30 years?

KitchenAid Dishwashers Company Information