2. Homeowners
  3. Dishwashers

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.55/5

For decades, the KitchenAid brand has been synonymous with kitchen appliances. The dishwashers are known for several important features: high load capacity, robust wash systems and quiet cleaning. These convenient features and a reliable brand name often translate into high costs. While KitchenAid has dishwasher models in the top-of-the-line price range, several models are on the high end of average.

BOTTOM LINE

KitchenAid dishwashers are an investment, but they are a reliable choice. While it’s a high-end brand, there are affordable models. Features like a third rack, triple filter and quiet operation make these dishwashers a great choice.

PROS

• Third-level rack
  • Sound level as low as 39 dB
  • Triple filter helps prolong life

CONS

• Premium price tag
  • Slightly longer than standard cabinet

Top KitchenAid Dishwashers Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about KitchenAid Dishwashers?

This dishwasher replaced an old Kenmore one, and the KitchenAid cleans so much better and is a lot quieter. I also like the styling with the sleek front and no huge buttons sticking up. Would highly recommend the Kitchenaid brand.

The dishes are always cleaned and dried. The Bosch never dried the dishes. Have had several Kitchen Aid dishwashers and I would not hesitate to get another. My children have them as well and they are equally satisfied.

KitchenAid Dishwashers Learn More

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

About KitchenAid dishwashers

KitchenAid dishwashers have several design options to choose from. Options include:

• Front control panel
  • Top control panel with towel bar
  • Top control with a pocket handle
  • Panel ready
  • Front-window models

While the glass window doesn’t offer any performance improvements, it’s a nice visual feature.

One design aspect to be aware of is the dishwasher size. KitchenAid dishwashers usually measure 24½ inches or 24¾ inches. This is slightly longer than the 24-inch kitchen cabinet standard. If you’re looking for a dishwasher that fits seamlessly with your current cabinetry, a KitchenAid model may not be the right choice.

How do KitchenAid dishwashers work?

KitchenAid dishwashers have several features that make the brand a popular and reliable choice. A third rack, for example, is a feature that is growing in popularity. Many KitchenAid models with a third rack also have rotating wash jets.

The dishwasher’s triple-filtration system helps customers prolong the life of their KitchenAid appliance. Each model has a screen filter, a coarse filter and a microfilter. This helps remove food particles from the water and prevent them from making it back to the dishes. It also helps stop the drain from clogging and saves energy by allowing the dishwasher to reuse water.

The most important feature of a dishwasher is how well it washes. The standard wash arm on most KitchenAid models is designed to reach every part of the dishwasher. Most models also have the ProScrub feature, which has 40 targeted spray jets that eliminate the need for prescrubbing or soaking.

Another notable feature available is the ProWash cycle, which automatically determines the ideal cycle for dishwashing based on how dirty the dishes are.

How much is a KitchenAid dishwasher?

Since KitchenAid is a household name for kitchen appliances, the brand carries a premium price. KitchenAid dishwashers can range from $800 to as much as $1,900 if you choose a premium model. That said, there are more affordable KitchenAid models and ways to save on your purchase.

On average, you can expect to pay about $1,000 for a midrange dishwasher. Always check flyers or contact your local dealer to ask if there is an upcoming sale. Finding the right deal can save you hundreds of dollars.

KitchenAid dishwashers FAQ

How long do KitchenAid dishwashers last?
The expected lifespan of a KitchenAid dishwasher is about 10 years. You can extend your dishwasher’s life by removing scraps from plates, regularly cleaning the filter and removing hard water residue.
Are KitchenAid dishwashers reliable?
KitchenAid is one of the most relied upon names in kitchen appliances. With proper maintenance, a KitchenAid dishwasher is a reliable choice.
Where can you buy KitchenAid dishwashers?
KitchenAid dishwashers are available at most major appliance retailers. The KitchenAid website will help you find the dealer nearest you.
How much do KitchenAid dishwashers cost?
KitchenAid is a premium name in kitchen appliances. A KitchenAid dishwasher’s cost is slightly higher than average, ranging between $800 and $1,500.

Are KitchenAid dishwashers good?

KitchenAid dishwashers are consistently rated as a high-quality choice and offer all of the options that a customer would want. High storage capacity, strong washing systems, quiet operation and a thorough filtration system make KitchenAid dishwashers a good option. While KitchenAid dishwashers may take you to your budget limits, there are still options for those who want to save some money.

KitchenAid Dishwashers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KitchenAid Dishwashers?

Original review: March 20, 2020

The machine is about 15 years old, with three shelves. It was one of the more expensive dishwashers on the market when purchased. At about about 4 years, due to abusive use (seriously soiled and grease laden everything) the machine progressively clogged. Over a weekend I tore it apart and cleaned it. It has performed admirably in cleaning since then due to reasonably use. Just recently a door spring has broken, meaning the door must be lowered manually with care until I have an opportunity to repair it. When the machine finally wears out, I will buy a KitchenAid replacement as close as is available to this machine.

Original review: March 14, 2020

I absolutely love my KitchenAid dishwasher. It is so quiet you cannot tell is running. It is energy-efficient and the temperature of the water can be increased if necessary. There are three racks in the machine. The very top rack is flat and holds either cooking utensils or knives, forks, and spoons. That rack can also be removed if you prefer. The machine also has a special feature where you can place bottles directly on individual water spouts that will shoot up into the bottle for a perfect cleaning. The other thing I love about it is Shane is that it has a removable cover that goes over the normal utensil holder automatically separate utensils so they will not stick together during the washing process.

Get buying tips about Dishwashers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 13, 2020

I have had several KitchenAid dishwashers, and have found all of them to be a good solid value for the money. Capacity/noise level/rack design/durability/appearance all good. I run heavy use and have not encountered any repairs. I typically spend around 1100.00 and plan on 7-8 years of use before purchasing again. I like the hidden controls and the cycle light is easy to notify you. Very functional and I would do it again! The only reason I gave it all 4's is that I would have to save the 5's for an over the top Swedish dishwasher which I won't spring for $$$$!

Original review: March 9, 2020

I currently own my second KitchenAid dishwasher. I had my first one for 21 years before we sold the house and it was still running-if it hadn't been 21 years old I would have moved it with me. When I bought my new house it had an awful dishwasher so we bought a new kitchenaid dishwasher and I love it. I have had very good luck with my kitchenaid dishwashers. Will have one in the next house too!

Original review: March 8, 2020

I am really satisfied with KitchenAid brand overall, I had purchased most of my appliances available on this brand because I trust the brand. I had a couple of dishwasher in the past from different brand and did not last more than 5 years, the noise was terrible and my dishes didn’t came clean but since I purchase my Kitchen Aid dishwasher I have more confidence when I empty my dishwasher. Congratulations to Kitchen Aid and thank you for the good service.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

For what should be the top of the line for the Whirlpool Corporation, you should run not walk away from any KitchenAid dishwasher you see in the showroom. We purchased a new home less than 3 years ago which had a brand new Kitchenaid dishwasher. We are a family of 6 who cooks at home most nights so the dishwasher gets a lot of use. In the less than 3 years we have had the control panel motherboard replaced 2 times (thankfully under warranty) and last week the dishwasher started to leak significant amounts of water ruining part of our kitchen floor.

We had a technician come out and he knew right away it was the sump. He openly said this thing is a lemon which Whirlpool has known about for years and refuses to fix. We asked if we could fix it and his response was "Sure, these are one of the parts I carry with me to all jobs because they fail so much". However the repair cost was almost $500 so we have decided to send this piece of junk to the curb and purchase another brand. Whirlpool has lost a customer for life.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2020

I think it is a design flaw. No vent to let steam escape in dry cycle. Chat with person didn't help. Tried calling and was told it would be a 80 minute wait. Old dishwasher had a vent in the door, worked well, but circuit board went out.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

KitchenAid KDTM404KPS Bought this dishwasher for new Kitchen Reno. Very disappointed with it so far. While it appears to clean well, it is very noisy on the wash cycle, definitely not the 44 db they claim. The grids on the racks are far apart and if smaller items are placed they can fall right through. No grips on the racks that would normally hold these items in place. My biggest disappointment is the third rack. I would have preferred a full cutlery rack. This one does really not hold too much cutlery or cooking utensils. Also plastic items on the racks are not kept secure and I think fly around during the wash. I now wash these smaller items by hand! Have been trying to contact someone at Kitchenaid through CHAT on their website, and after a few minutes, before any one responds to me, I am disconnected.

Would like to ask Kitchenaid if they have any grips I can install in the dishwasher to secure smaller, lighter items. I hope they get to read this review. I would have bought a BOSCH instead, like the previous one I had. Just loved the third rack on it and with a higher db of 50, it was a lot more quieter. It too held a 16 place setting, and more as the area where the cutlery basket sits could hold large serving dishes. I bought my items in a rush during Covid-19, and was anxious to get out of the dealership as soon as possible.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

Five or six years ago I purchased a high end Kitchenaid Dishwasher. Three times it flooded my house including once that triggered a substantial insurance claim. To 'make up for this' Whirlpool Canada offered me a discount on a new machine. I accepted the offer hoping the first machine was just a lemon. With the new machine I purchased the CertifiedCare extended warranty.

This past July my dishwasher stopped working. I called in and it took almost a month for a technician to come to look at it. He said he would order parts. Now it is the end of September, almost three months later, and I still do not have a working machine and no one from CertifiedCare or Whirlpool has even given hint that they care about solving the problem. I am married with six kids and need a working dishwasher in my house. Whirlpool needs to step up and do something about this.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

I bought a stainless steel KitchenAid dishwasher 3 years ago and have had nothing but trouble. It has been repaired 4 times for the door popping open during a dishwashing cycle. Now the insulation has fallen out of the door and leaks a constant stream of water on the floor. The repair has been scheduled for a week from when I reported it. Nice sense of urgency and customer centric company. I wouldn’t buy a kitchenaid appliance.

KitchenAid Dishwashers Company Information