KitchenAid Dishwashers

Compare Dishwashers

Research top Dishwashers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Purchased a higher end Kitchen Aid dishwasher model KUDE60FVSS3 in 2010. End of 2016 dishwasher was having issues with it not draining at the end of the cycle. Had a local repairman out twice. He replaced the drain pump and repositioned the drain line - didn't fix the issue. Contacted Whirlpool/KitchenAid customer service and set up an appointment with a factory authorized technician. Factory certified tech couldn't figure out what was wrong (test was not producing an error code). He suggested replacing the main board and drain valve sensor - ($400+). He couldn't guarantee that this would fix the problem since he couldn't get an error code. I understand that appliances break down, and I was prepared to have this one repaired, but when the fix is a trial and error throw money at it approach, this deems a product as disposable, since it's cheaper to buy something new.

Although the dishwasher is 6 years old, I estimate that it has run less than 1500 cycles (running it every 3-4 days over the 6 years). Also, in the 6 years I've had to replace the cutlery baskets twice - cheap plastic garbage. I sent a complaint letter to Whirlpool executives and their response, although quick, was one basically one of "We're not prepared to do much". KitchenAid use to have the reputation for quality and reliability. Now they have cheapened the design to where the higher end models are no different than a cheaper $300 disposable machine. There was nothing wrong with the quality of money I paid for this dishwasher, but certainly Whirlpool/Kitchen Aid quality and reliability leaves a lot to be desired. Will never buy another Whirlpool product, nor will I recommend.

Just purchased this dishwasher (KTA 44 dBA) mainly because it matched the refrigerator KRFF707ESS I wanted and am pleased with. However the top tier drawer of dishwasher is pretty much useless. I thought it was for stacking flatware but the prongs are so short, the flatware falls over. Wish I had bought a Miele which is more expensive but definitely superior. So now I'm not using the upper tier for flatware. Alternative is this enormous basket which takes up so much space. No one would ever have need for that much basket space... takes up the whole depth of bottom drawer, which by the way, slide out on their own volition often. Don't stay closed unless you forcefully push it into place. Not thrilled with this dishwasher. It is quiet and it does clean. That's it. Spend the money and get a Miele.

Dishwasher Model KUD535FXBL9. If I could give this dishwasher a zero I would. I have had this dishwasher about 2 years and 7 months. The motor and pump assembly are shot. Seriously. I live alone and do about 2 loads of dishes a week. Also mailed in the registration but never received notice about the top shelf recall. Between my KitchenAid gas range and the dishwasher I am absolutely disgusted.

KitchenAid dishwasher kud530fxss4 constant repair. Thermocouple went out, repairman replaced. 6 month later out again. Replaced with modification recommends by manufacturer. 7 months later out again. Replaced again. Now circuit board fried. Appliance is not worth the price. I have had dishwashers costing half as much last years. Will never buy KitchenAid again. Dishwasher is 4 years old and going to the trash bin.

Cleans well, looks good, moderator noise level, durable (I've had it for almost 14 years). My only criticism of this dishwasher is that it has leaked off and on over the years that I've had it. No one can figure out why that is. I've assumed that the leaking has to do with the way I load it but that theory has been debunked by running it with only a few dishes loaded exactly as they should be. Still a mystery. Looks good. Moderate noise. Has held up (and hope I am not jinxing myself by saying that now!).

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KitchenAid?

I purchased a KitchenAid dishwasher, model # KUDC10IXWH4 on August 1, 2013. I have been having difficulty with the machine for the last 6 months. My dishes were coming out dirtier than when I put them into the machine. The machine was not using the soap, it just piled at the bottom. I tried powder soap, liquid soap, and pod soaps with no help. Finally my husband made it so he could watch the washing process. The spray was only going up about 4 inches - not hitting my dishes. No wonder I have problems. We are trying to put in a new motor at $100.00. I have only had this machine for 2 years and I already have to make costly repairs. Very disappointing!!

I based my answers on convenience and performance. My KitchenAid dishwasher looks great, it's black and looks pretty in the kitchen landscape, but it's been so annoying at times. When it works, it works great. But for a long time we dealt with a broke part that made the top tier have to be manually clicked into place every so often or it would not roll back and forth. We were sent the wrong part in the mail and continued just dealing it with for months and months.

Not to mention, the dishwasher doesn't close smoothly, it seems to be slightly too small for the space it was installed in because we have to push it extra firmly to click into place when closing it. It was a KitchenAid serviceman who installed it. I wanted to get a different brand than KitchenAid but we live in an old apartment building that doesn't accommodate new big dishwashers. Our choices are limited and KitchenAid was one of the few choices that fit our size. I should say it is working fine now and does perform well. I am satisfied with it.

It does not clean well as it should no matter which brand or type (gel vs power vs pack) I use. Noisy. Long long cycle. I have had two kitchen aids before this and was happy. Then this house came with Maytag which did not do halfway good job cleaning. Then when it broke I chose KitchenAid. But this one seems noisier and even the cycle seems long - it may be average just seems long. The dishes do not come clean. Especially forks.

Model KDTE104ESS - purchased 13 months ago; 3rd dishwasher we had - others changed with kitchen upgrades, never had a failure such as this. Previous dishwashers were Kenmore, Frigidaire; latter was a very basic model; in same residence 32+ yrs, kids (3) no longer part of current household. Dishwasher used 6-7 times per week in household of 2, with my wife cooking 5-6 days a week; moderate use, rarely use heavy-duty clean cycle with present dishwasher. This model has a 2-stage filter (fine, coarse), with recommended cleaning varying from once/2 months to yearly. We did not clean it since new, since we scrape dishes, do minimal pre-wash or none - our usual practice for 32 yrs in present house, 6-8 yrs in prior house.

When dishwasher quit draining, checked filters, small amount of residue (1/2 tsp or less), no significant coarse grit seen. Noted no discharge from DW via exhaust tube with 3 successive cycles. I watched running empty DW. Had purchased an extended warranty for a year (3 appliances, range, fridge & DW), all purchased together, all KitchenAid, 13 mos ago with complete kitchen remodeling after 22 yrs since last remodeling.

Repairman (under warranty) checked machine, found exhaust pump "clogged with debris", failed; emptied some particulate matter from exhaust tube into a bucket, looked like congealed fat, a few parsley & other leafy matter. No hard grit seen. He did say that matter had been pulled past the filters (couldn't say why other than pump has a suction like a vacuum), though neither filter was even moderately clogged.

KitchenAid approved a $300 plus sum for pump replacement; their consumer services could not answer my query as to how so much debris got past the filters to cause pump failure within 13 mos. This model does not have a grinder as in next higher model, but again, there was not much particulate debris I could see; pump was not yet removed, so will wait to see what it looks like.

In summary, very disappointed with this early pump failure, with way less usage than in prior dishwashers that functioned well for a family of 5 for 10 yrs, and 22 yrs respectively. Believe Kenmore is made by Whirlpool, the parent company of KitchenAid, so the design, though older, is I feel similar. Modern DW detergents (we use the satchets, not powder or liquid) recommend NOT scraping too much food residue off dishes, to allow triggering of enzymatic action for cleaning dishes. We rarely see residue, occasional baked on material such as egg yolk, which we now clean off; no pots go in DW, rare baking dishes, which we scrub off in the sink. So we don't feel this DW was overworked.

Writing this while searching for others with similar pump failures, trying to understand why two levels of filters failed to protect a pump that obviously is rather delicate, hence recommendation by KitchenAid Consumer Services now that every month we run an empty cleaning cycle with an Affresh tablet to clear the system. BTW, we've never seen hard-water residue inside any of our dishwashers; the prior two did not have stainless steel interiors, never required special interior cleaning with bicarbonate etc., for any build-up; we get city water, pipe-bourne, just flushed out my gas water heater after 4-5 yrs, saw a small amount of milky flow at beginning of drainage, then clear; I have a water filter at my house cold-water intake; the water (filtered) in the 'fridge is always clear, no problems with ice-makers over 32+ yrs, no hard-water cum anywhere.

KitchenAid has no answer for us other than the Affresh cleaning cycle; we use a comparable DW detergent to the recommended Cascade, not Cascade Platinum as recommended; anybody with a similar problem, either with KitchenAid dishwashers or any Whirlpool family dishwashers (include the high-end Jenn-Air brand now)? Am feeling very disappointed with this choice right now, will expect another pump failure in 1-2 yrs, if so will look for remedy from KitchenAid, or else...!

Can scan receipt of purchase from Lowe's store locally if required. I have no repair order number, as requested below. Do have extended warranty # if required. We had Sears brand appliances in our old house (8 years), still have Sears (Kenmore) washer and dryer, 3 sets over 43 yrs of married life, 2nd set in this house, first set lasted 24 years, top-loaders, replaced when laundry room was remodeled, now with HE front loaders that are currently 8+ years old. Some repairs were needed, recall replacing motor of current washer when motor-bearing became noisy.

Bought and broke down less than 2 months later. Was repaired and it worked for about 3 months - different problem. Won't empty. Revolving arm on top will not move. Detergent cakes so quickly and often does not dispense.

It is the best dishwasher we have had. The dishwasher has the standard 2 pull out baskets as well as a pull out top tray for cooking utensils. It also has a stainless steel interior. Our kitchen is open to the living area and this dishwasher is so quiet that it does not interfere with watching television or disrupt any conversation. All of our K-A appliances in this house including the microwave and range hood also offer this level of quiet.

I tried to find the diagrams for KitchenAid Model KDTE204DSS1 to no avail, as they keep providing a different but supposedly similar model. The washer has a pump that whines and screams and now it will not pump. I did the usual, and cleaned the filters etc. Finally with a turkey baster, I emptied all of the water from washer. I then carefully removed the three prong brown wire from the pump. I twisted the pump and it came out in my hands. Once the pump is totally dissimilar to all pump on the dishwashers that Kitchen Aid lists. This does not make very happy. As I write this, should I find/buy a pump in the morning and put it in place and the machine again fails, I look at the circuit board and head to Sears to buy a Kenmore. Kitchen Aid needs to be in the garburator.

It has easy setting, I particularly like the soak and scrub for heavy load. I also like that rinsing is not often needed. If you can rinse it off, you can just put it in the dishwasher. And it is quiet.

I purchased a KitchenAid dishwasher in September of 2010. The purchase price with installation and taxes $800.29. A service call was made March of 2013 with a broken latch. In 2015 the same problem occurred. This year 2016 in September the latch broke again and now it's two months later and the panel of the whole electrical circuit board does not work. I am extremely dissatisfied with this product. I actually have never gone online and made a statement as far as dissatisfaction with an appliance. It seems like to me that not only are products made to break with being told I should have purchase an extended warranty which from many of the reviews is an additional waste of money.

I wish I had looked at more reviews prior to purchasing the product. Dishwasher model number is kuds30ixbl. I was upgrading appliances and wanted a nicer product. I will never recommend a KitchenAid appliance again. When I spoke with people on the phone it was very dissatisfied. Basically I'll have to say that most companies are no longer concerned with customer service. I plan to look for the cheapest dishwasher I can find with as few electronics and things to break as possible.

Bought our KitchenAid spring 2016. November 2016, I noticed our cupboards next to the dishwasher are ruined because someone at KitchenAid had a brilliant idea of doing a side steam vent instead of a front vent. Clearly the product designer at KitchenAid has never used their own product... or they just don't care about the consumers buying a poorly designed product.

Whirlpool owns KitchenAid. BUYER BEWARE!! The dishwasher does a good job but God help you if you ever need to use the warranty. Mine has a door leak. The repairman came out 5 times and replaced the tub twice, the door liner, the door, the hinges and the latching mechanism. There is still a 50/50 chance it will leak depending on how hard you slam the door and I do mean SLAM. They have taken up almost 15 hours of my time. The warranty says they will repair or replace the washer. THEY WILL NOT. You are dealing with dishonest people with no integrity. They are like an insurance company and they will do whatever they can to wear you down and not honor their obligations. Do yourself a favor. When looking at products, pass up the KitchenAid items.

We purchased a KitchenAid dishwasher (Model KDFE304DWH0) on 09/02/2014 from Lowe's in Simpsonville, SC. We purchased a 3 year warranty. On 10/05/2016 the dishwasher stopped drying the dishes. We called Lowe's. On 10/07/2016 a service tech from WFCC AUTHORIZED SERVICE INC. (ASI) came out and said the (owl??) water sensor needed replacing, and they would order the part(s) and call to schedule replacement. On 10/12 I called ASI and was told they would call me when the part was in. On 10/21 I called Lowe's and they could not find out if the part had even been ordered & would get back to me in 7-10 business days. We have now been without the use of the dishwasher for 3 weeks and no repair has been scheduled. Based on my experience, I would not recommend anyone buying a KitchenAid appliance from Lowe's.

You would think that you spend more money on a trusted brand that it would last for more than 5 years. It's only been used a couple times per week for my wife and me. Called three repair service companies who all told me that the issue is most likely a faulty circuit board which cost about half the price of a complete new dishwasher. Please be assured that I will never buy another appliance from KitchenAid in my lifetime. Hopefully my experience proves beneficial to you!

This appliance is a disgrace. After 2 months the control panel broke and was replaced. After 3 more months the soap dispenser broke and was replaced. The door is coming apart at the side. Today the handle came off in my hands. It is now 10 months old. I can only think this product is designed to enable the sale of extended warranties.

I purchased the top of the line KitchenAid dishwasher 2 years ago, paid over $900. I bought the extended warranty and it broke within first 2 years. Turns out there are no parts for the repairs. National back order. This is a new appliance. I paid $250 for the extended warranty only to get a buyout of $573. I am now without a dishwasher and out over $600. My other rant is that they are now going to throw this thing in a dump. What is their carbon footprint? I have never been so dissatisfied with an appliance in my life! KitchenAid can kiss my ass!

Consumer Increased Rating!

Glasses do not come out clean. Our new Kitchenaid Dishwasher does not clean glasses and dishes. I have cleaned the machine numerous times and tried several soaps. Company officials told me it's my water. Funny. None of my neighbors seem to have trouble with their dishwashers. This machine also takes over 2.5 hours to do a normal load of dishes. I purchased an extended warranty but feel like giving up and purchasing a new machine. We have been hand washing the dishes for a few months now. :( Do not purchase this product.

I purchased a KitchenAid dishwasher two years ago. I have a KitchenAid refrigerator that is 25 years old. The dishwasher KDFE1040BLO has been worked on 4 times. They have replaced the water valve and the motor. Just yesterday, it dumped water all over the floor and the heated dry is not working. Thank goodness I took out an extended warranty. I know that KitchenAid is a good brand, but I am very disappointed in my dishwasher. It hasn't worked 3 out of the last 6 months.

Kitchenaid dishwasher model kude201xwh6 - Oh how I wish that I had searched your website for reviews prior to purchase! My situation sounds much the same as other reviews. The top rack rollers are simply defective. We have replaced ours through service calls and self repair no less than 5 times in the past 4 years. Finally on the last repair the technician completely replaced the roller and rack arms because the factory had recalled the parts. Yet, I wasn't notified of this by the company. My dishwasher had to break down first before the problem was addressed. To me this smacks of covert activity and doesn't promote my loyalty to the company. Additionally our motherboard has been replaced twice... The first replacement was defective. And today I'm doing dishes by hand as the control panel is unresponsive again.

We purchased the extended warranty - thank goodness, but again using a warranty on what will now be the 8th time a service tech comes to our home is ridiculous!! Worse yet when we talked to the service department, they have only documented three service calls! What's that about?? In hindsight, I remember there was paperwork to sign on some calls and not on others. So, I can't "prove" or verify the number of visits through a paper trail. I would suggest always documenting whenever you call regarding your appliance or have a technician enter your home. Writing the dates, times, and contact person on the appliance manual would be an excellent place to store that information. With each service call the response time is getting shorter. Of that I am very thankful, but shame on any company that would have even three warranty service calls on a product! Buying an appliance shouldn't be a gamble; it should be a wise investment.

We were thinking that perhaps the dishwasher was just a lemon. An oddity that the company would gladly replace. It does happen that for an unknown reason one will just be "bad". Unfortunately, as I read these reviews, I don't see much hope of the situation being rectified to our satisfaction. I will pursue a request for replacement and hope the company will honor my consumer request. It appears their dishwasher line leaves much to be desired. Other review sites indicate that the KitchenAid dishwasher is better passed over for a more reliable brand. It is unfortunate as the dishwasher meets my expectations when it is operational. However, I will report any satisfactory outcomes I encounter through my attempts at recourse.

I find it ridiculous that I paid a lot of money for this dishwasher & it keeps breaking. Had bought an extended warranty for it. If I hadn't I would have paid 2 times out of pocket to fix it to date. Control panel went out less than 2 years ago & it is broken again!? Of course my warranty is up now.

We purchased KitchenAid model # KDFE204EWH1, paid $145.00 to have it installed, bought extended warranty and it has never cleaned a dish. We had two technicians out who gave us "hints" to help, i.e. put more soap in, run your faucet until the water is so hot that you can't touch it because the first rinse in the machine is cold water, use Jet Dry. I've been using dishwashers for a long time and have never needed technicians to come to the house and instruct me on how to use it. KitchenAid has officially chalked the problem up to "owner misuse". This is highly insulting and ridiculous. We even paid our plumber to come and see if the problem could be caused by our plumbing - negative on that. I called the company and was told that if I try another dishwasher detergent, that it might help. "Other customers have found it to be very helpful".

Give me a break! The machine is a piece of garbage and has never, ever worked. $1,000. of our money has been thrown out the window and we have been treated poorly by this company to say the least. Save your money, do your research and buy something other than a KitchenAid/Whirlpool. We now have to clean our dishes by hand. Horrible machine, horrible company to deal with. They will not send anyone else out to look at the dishwasher unless we pay for it. They have done all they are going to do and don't care that the machine doesn't work. They are finished with us as we are with them.

My KitchenAid dishwasher is leaking out the front and when it is in drying mode the control panel gets covered with condensation. I have contacted the store in which I purchased my appliance and they are coming out for the second time. After reading other reviews I am having some concerns over the quality of this product. Is there any way to force KitchenAid to stand by their products, and replace faulty appliances as needed?

I own a Kitchenaid dishwasher model # KUDS301XSS9. We bought it from Sears less than 3 years ago with the service warranty package. I've had to have a service guy out 3 TIMES IN LESS THAN 3 YEARS to fix 3 separate issues. The lower racks wheels have been falling off and melting, causing damage obviously. They, Kitchenaid, won't send me replacement wheels unless I pay $30 a piece for a pennyworth of plastic. They make their products so poorly that it's basically guaranteed to fall apart in no time flat so you'll be bound to pay their grossly inflated prices for replacement parts. Do yourself a favor and buy parts elsewhere online for a fraction of the cost. This company is such a joke and refuses to stand behind their products. Lost us and my family as customers for life.

I purchased a model KDTE204DSS0 KitchenAid dishwasher on 12/1/14 for $717.48. It has a stainless steel tub. Fourteen months later (2/16) we had water leaking from multiple pinhole leaks in the stainless steel tub where the base of the tub is molded to fit the screen and pump. I called Whirlpool and they said that the tub has a lifetime warranty but it can only be installed by an approved appliance repair facility. That cost $150.00 (I removed, delivered and installed the dishwasher again myself). On 9/8/16 (seven months later) the dishwasher is leaking again and has again the same pinhole leaks in the new tub. I get a slight shock when I touch the screen inside the tub and believe there is a galvanic reaction going on that is eating up the stainless tub at its thinnest area.

Since I find no other reviews mentioning this problem, and it appears to be more than just a tub problem but a unit problem (i.e. a lemon), I asked Whirlpool to replace the unit. As you already know, they said no but would replace it for $17.00 less than I paid for the last one less than two years ago. If I paid another $150.00 to replace the last tub that would be about $500.00 a year to wash a load of dishes every other day. This negative review is as much about the manufacturer as it is about the faulty dishwasher.

What a piece of junk! When did KitchenAid allow their products to become inferior to the point of totally frustrating the consumer. KitchenAid used to be a quality product. I've only had this for 3 years - in the first year the plastic clips broke on the back of the thing and I had to contact a supervisor to get them in time for the holiday. Basically the top rack is worthless - totally and completely worthless. All the plastic pieces snap off and break - clips, rollers, etc. When you try to adjust them to get the rack to go back in so you can close the door the plastic things break. I ordered extra plastic clips when I got them the first time and those have broken. By the second year the bottom rack was falling apart and would not roll back in. The wheels are broken.

Furthermore, the electronics is crap. I will use a setting and come back 3 or 4 hours later and it is still running - or trying to run. Half the time the dishes don't even get clean. I'm so angry. I'm a single parent and spent my tax refund check getting this and it works worse than the 10 year old thing that I had before this junk. At least the 10 year old dishwasher didn't have plastic pieces breaking. Stop making this crap in China and make it in the U.S. with quality parts and quit making it cheaply so that you can blame the Chinese for your own design flaws. Quit paying your CEO a fortune and making crap. Concentrate on making something that lasts. Since KitchenAid is owned by Whirlpool I assume the same will be true of Whirlpool's quality.

We just renovated our entire home, and I wanted a good, solid, basic dishwasher for the basement kitchen, thinking this a better option for my teens. This is not our main kitchen and it doesn't get the normal amount of use like our main, upstairs kitchen, and I didn't want anything too complicated. The KitchenAid dishwasher was installed and leaked from day two. It leaked out the sides and all over the floor, and ruined the brand new cabinetry that it was installed next to. In the two years that we've had it, it has been serviced 7 times, and tomorrow will be the eighth. It was barely nine months old and a pump had to be replaced.

Early on, I begged the KitchenAid company for a new unit. I even offered to spend a little more and get a totally different unit, knowing I'd have to have another cabinet panel made to match our cabinets. Anything to get this lemon out of my kitchen! Nothing doing. I'm basically stuck with it, and now whenever I call (again) for service, they want to charge me the service call because it's out of warranty, even though they have the service history. I ask for a supervisor and they finally agree to foot the service call, but for how much longer, it's anyone's guess. Thank goodness I chose two Bosch dishwashers for upstairs. They are quiet and work wonderfully, and they get a lot of use!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

KitchenAid has been a household name since the release of its first stand mixer in 1919. The company has nearly 100 years of experience crafting kitchen appliances to an exacting standard.

• Nine wash arms: Where other dishwashers make do with three washing arms, KitchenAid dishwashers use nine to ensure all dishes get clean, regardless of placement.
  • Window and lighted interior: Do you hear a banging or clanging during the wash cycle? There's no need to pause and open the dishwasher when you can look through the conveniently lighted window.
  • Unique clean-water wash filter: Water gets filtered while in use to remove food particles, and the filter is self-cleaning, so you don't waste any time cleaning it yourself.
  • Super quiet operation: With dishwashers as quiet as 39 decibels, the only problem with a KitchenAid dishwasher might be remembering whether you've already turned it on.
  • Pro scrub: While KitchenAid doesn't make a wide variety of models, the ones it does make come with features like pro scrub, which uses 40 jets to tackle the worst baked-on food messes.
  • Best for Families, homeowners and apartment renters