KitchenAid Dishwashers

Compare Dishwashers

Research top Dishwashers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We built our house 3 years ago. We chose a KitchenAid kude48fxss6 for our dishwasher. We chose the "higher end" model thinking it would be better. The dishwasher's 1st issue was in our 2nd year of having it. A gasket of some kind went on the inside. The water during the cycle found the path of least resistance out, and cause a fair bit of water damage to our floor by the time we came home and saw. My husband repaired the dishwasher with a $5 part. The parts store commented that it was a very frequently breakdown on these dishwashers. Next came the plastic nub that connected the top basket to the roller. Each basket has 4 of these nubs. Plastic becomes brittle over time especially when exposed to hot Temps and water. So not surprisingly one broke. And now mother recently the entire connection piece that the baskets roll on has broke.

Fortunately my husband has been able to fix these items but it's extremely disappointing that we spent good money on such garbage and also have to still repair a damaged section of floor. There isn't any accountability for the disposable garbage these manufacturer's make. The use the cheapest components designed to last just long enough though standard warranty so that you are stuck repairing and or replacing. It should be criminal. They should take notes from the Toyota production systems and learn about continuous improvement. Then people would be fistful to the brand and their businesses would thrive rather than their current model of cheat and deceit. Sincerely, a mom of 3 little kids who has better things to do than wash extra dishes.

From the very start it only cleans the dishes if you put them in clean. Salesmen said I could put dirty dishes in. Not unless you want them coming out dirty. Everything has to be thoroughly rinsed before they go in, the regular cycles takes hours to run. So disappointed. I had my first KitchenAid for 15 years and it was quick and cleaned like it should. Repair man said everyone is complaining about the same thing. He had to fix the runners on the upper shelf because they were plastic and cracked. I would replace this in a second if I could afford to throw out the expensive piece of trash that it is. Picture are right after cycle ran, I turned dishes over to show insides for pictures submitted.

We bought the Kitchenaid Architect Series model # KDTE104DSS0 after much research for $800. 2 years later the motor is dead (typically lasting 10+ years) and KitchenAid will do nothing. The customer service rep got a supervisor but they refused to even help on the part cost. So now after spending $800 we must pay another $400 to fix. I could have bought another Bosch to last another 11 years (the last dishwasher in this house) but went with a domestic piece of garbage instead. I'm appalled that they wouldn't even give a discount on the part - instead tried to sell me a NEW dishwasher at a discount! I will never ever ever buy KitchenAid again. So disappointed in their customer service. I understand, things break - but own up to it instead of relying solely on us coughing up another $200+ at the time of purchase. We could barely afford the dishwasher and trusted that the brand would hold up. Obviously a mistake.

My husband and I bought this KitchenAid Dishwasher, Model# KDFE104DSS1 Serial# F52627380 in July 2015. It has not been cleaning the dishes properly for the last 6 months. We called KitchenAid and they stated that it was out of warranty and we could buy a new warranty for $350.00 and it would cover the dishwasher for another year. We spent over $600 for this dishwasher and bought it because of the name. My husband took the dishwasher out and pulled it apart and (after speaking with appliance repair representatives and the internet) figured it was the pump motor bearing. He went to the appliance part store and got a new motor, installed it and it worked. How can a dishwasher pump motor break after only 21 months and the dishwasher is only used twice a week? I would never recommend this dishwasher or any other KitchenAid product to anyone. The customer service only wants to sell you warranties.

The valve that allows water to shut off in the dishwasher freezes open causing the water to flow out of the front of door and flood your floor. The first time I was standing there and thought the door may not have closed. About 4 months later I was not there and it flood the kitchen, into the hall and living room. Called Sears. They sent a repair guy. He saw the water did not turn off even when you opened the door of the dishwasher, he said these valves have a problem and sometimes it is intermittent. Sears tested the valve and of course it worked, so they said the water damage was not from that. So lesson learned take a video. So where else did the water come from? Spent $800 for a turn off valve for dishwasher under sink and plumber said no leaks. Need this valve because I do not trust this dishwasher, will be looking at Bosch.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KitchenAid?

I bought a brand new KitchenAid dishwasher in Nov 2016. The one with the window on front door. Gave trouble within a week. Waited 2 weeks for a serviceman who said pump was faulty. Said it would be another 2 weeks before that arrived. In meantime I insisted on Best Buy (where I bought it) giving me a new one. What a saga. A month later the new one eventually arrived. Guess what? Within a week same problem. Repairman again. Pump faulty again. Another 2 weeks. Pump replaced. Within a week same problem.

Contacted KitchenAid direct which is really Whirlpool. Awful customer service. Scheduled a replacement this week but failed to keep appointment. Got a few hours notice. They're giving me another new one. Have told them this is the last one. If this one is crap like the last 2, then they just take it away. Not getting another. No appreciation of fact that a family of five have been washing dishes by hand for several months while $1200 piece of crap sits in our kitchen.

We bought the dishwasher about 2 months ago, I have had Sears service out to check it out and the tech basically said it was all my fault. The dishwasher doesn't clean, it doesn't dry, you can't interrupt the cycle (add a dish) without starting over. I have to make sure the dishes are spotless before putting them in the washer. Many times the detergent door won't open and when it does the packet just sits in the holder and never gets into the washing area. I feel that I have wasted close to $850.00 which is something I can not afford. I would never buy anything they manufactured again.

Bought Kitchenaid Model #KUDE40FXSS5 in 2012. Within first year the top rack fell off the runners and had to be replaced. As that was under warranty Kitchenaid sent repair kit, but we had to install it. March 30, 2017 I started cycle. Within minutes water was pooling in front of the dishwasher. Turned off cycle. Drained water from dishwasher and called repairman. He knew immediately what the cause of leak was as he had seen it often. The ring that connects and tightens a water hose to the pump was not tight enough. The original ring could not be tightened as it was installed at the tightest possible connection allowed by that plastic ring. He replaced with a Bosch metal screw tightening ring. Called Kitchenaid and they refused to help with payment for repair. This machine cost $1200 new. This is inexcusable and I will never recommend this product.

We did a total kitchen remodel and included a dishwashing machine, which the house never had before. We sprung for the higher end stainless steel tub KitchenAid KDFE104DSS1 (2016). 3 months later the machine stopped moving water, but could still drain. Warranty phone call... repair tech does two visits... one for diagnosis and one for part install (new pump). Up and running. 5 months later same deal. Another warranty call and two visits... back up and running. Now I notice the rusting slide rails for the upper deck. Now into the out of warranty mode and the pump fails again.

Going shopping today for a cheaper machine... putting the KitchenAid trash out on the curb for the recycle guy. BTW there were intermittent events for soap dispenser door not opening. (No dishes in the way.) Food pieces splashed around hanging on the walls... and then there's the smell. This model likes to hold used water between washes and after just one day of no use, OMG what a stank.

Within 6 mos. of use my KitchenAid dishwasher has a broken detergent dispenser. The sliding door will not click to the close position. I purchased 3 KitchenAid appliances at the same time and all 3 have had problems in the 6th month - a non-working interior oven light, a microwave that displays an error message rendering it useless for a couple of hours, and this detergent dispenser problem. : (

We have been generally pleased with out KitchenAid Dishwasher until recently. It was purchased in December 2015. Lately as we start a load, it sounds like whirling vacuum sweeper. The repairman tells us it is due to a bushing that has leaked. After the machine warms up, the sound goes away yet the quiet nature of the washer was the very reason we went with KitchenAid. The repairman said we could solve this issue by replacing the motor for a $350 price tag. Has anyone else experienced this issue? We were told that no further damage would occur but the noise will get louder until the machine finally quits.

I purchased a top-of-the-line KitchenAid dishwasher in 03/2009. From day 1, I had to wash the dishes by hand before putting them in the dishwasher because it just didn't get the dishes clean. Fast forward to 02/2017 and I called KitchenAid to let them know this dishwasher is now full of rust, the cleaning elements are rusty, the racks are rusty and what would they do about a dishwasher less than 8 years old. I was told because it's so old they wouldn't do anything to help me. Hence, they said purchase another dishwasher. I had my last dishwasher for over 10 years and it worked like a dream. I will NEVER purchase another KitchenAid product again. They do NOT withstand the test of time and are poorly made.

Horrible manufacturing!!! KitchenAid dishwasher model KUDE20IXSS8. Motor only mounted with a very SMALL PLASTIC grommet. Further, from the motor is a rubber hose/gasket that is clamped with a one-time-use flimsy ring. This attaches to the plastic drain pipe. When the grommet failed (vibration, etc), the flimsy plastic ring could not hold the weight of the motor separating the motor with the rubber hose FROM the drain pipe. SEE where I'm going here, yes, catastrophic failure. Yup, water gushed out all over my kitchen floor. Under flooring, cabinets, under refrigerator. Water/moisture mitigation was encouraged by insurance company before repairs. Repairman also mentioned he has repaired this same problem 5 times. Shame on KitchenAid (made by Whirlpool), this should be recalled and at a minimum manufacturing resign is a must!

The sliding top shelf of my KitchenAid dishwasher is not sturdy. It requires a moderate amount of skill to use. The shelf must be gripped from below and after loading gently pushed back in an upward motion. When the shelf is pushed back, after loading, the shelf disengages from its roller bars and falls into the bottom shelf; this happens if the person loading forgets or jams the unit. It is difficult to reinstall. I have had to purchase an extended warranty from the distributor to enable normal usage. I purchased the unit and extended warranty from ABT Electronics, Glenview Illinois.

We had the worst experience with a Kitchenaid dishwasher. I made many attempts in calling them and nothing was ever done. All they did was they send me the same technician over and over. Today we had the technician come and he recommended to get a simple model and not to go with the KitchenAid brand. The sides of my kitchen where the steam vents are in the dishwasher, they are destroyed them completely.

KUDD03DTSS2 - I bought a KitchenAid DW in 2009 which was well outside of my budget but wanted it to last and felt comfortable that the company had a good record and would stand behind their product. Well, all of that was not true for me. The DW did good for about 3 years and then it started tearing up. The design of the unit is flawed and they will not admit it. There is a $1.47 plastic flange that connects to a plastic connector on the fan motor, and holds the filter in place within each drawer. The connectors which are made of plastic crumbles and the flange will not stay connected so the fan motor unit has to be completely replaced because of this problem.

With labor and parts costs it adds up to $300 and this is just one drawer. The flange itself cost $1.47 and the fan motor costs $85.81 and the labor and service call cost me $300 just for one drawer that has since tore up again along with the bottom one doing the same thing. Got in touch with KitchenAid and was told there isn't any recalls on the product so they offered me a warranty program that wouldn't go into effect until after the repair. You know where they can go. So going to buy a new one and guess what brand I won't be buying.

This model KUDC2OFVSSO - has been terrible since day one. The only way it gets dishes cleaned, is by washing the dishes prior to putting them into the dishwasher. It functions basically as a sterilizer, not a dishwasher. I would NOT recommend getting a KitchenAid! I'm not sure where to go from here, but I won't ever buy another one, as I don't have $500+ to throw away.

Purchased a higher end Kitchen Aid dishwasher model KUDE60FVSS3 in 2010. End of 2016 dishwasher was having issues with it not draining at the end of the cycle. Had a local repairman out twice. He replaced the drain pump and repositioned the drain line - didn't fix the issue. Contacted Whirlpool/KitchenAid customer service and set up an appointment with a factory authorized technician. Factory certified tech couldn't figure out what was wrong (test was not producing an error code). He suggested replacing the main board and drain valve sensor - ($400+). He couldn't guarantee that this would fix the problem since he couldn't get an error code. I understand that appliances break down, and I was prepared to have this one repaired, but when the fix is a trial and error throw money at it approach, this deems a product as disposable, since it's cheaper to buy something new.

Although the dishwasher is 6 years old, I estimate that it has run less than 1500 cycles (running it every 3-4 days over the 6 years). Also, in the 6 years I've had to replace the cutlery baskets twice - cheap plastic garbage. I sent a complaint letter to Whirlpool executives and their response, although quick, was one basically one of "We're not prepared to do much". KitchenAid use to have the reputation for quality and reliability. Now they have cheapened the design to where the higher end models are no different than a cheaper $300 disposable machine. There was nothing wrong with the quality of money I paid for this dishwasher, but certainly Whirlpool/Kitchen Aid quality and reliability leaves a lot to be desired. Will never buy another Whirlpool product, nor will I recommend.

Just purchased this dishwasher (KTA 44 dBA) mainly because it matched the refrigerator KRFF707ESS I wanted and am pleased with. However the top tier drawer of dishwasher is pretty much useless. I thought it was for stacking flatware but the prongs are so short, the flatware falls over. Wish I had bought a Miele which is more expensive but definitely superior. So now I'm not using the upper tier for flatware. Alternative is this enormous basket which takes up so much space. No one would ever have need for that much basket space... takes up the whole depth of bottom drawer, which by the way, slide out on their own volition often. Don't stay closed unless you forcefully push it into place. Not thrilled with this dishwasher. It is quiet and it does clean. That's it. Spend the money and get a Miele.

Dishwasher Model KUD535FXBL9. If I could give this dishwasher a zero I would. I have had this dishwasher about 2 years and 7 months. The motor and pump assembly are shot. Seriously. I live alone and do about 2 loads of dishes a week. Also mailed in the registration but never received notice about the top shelf recall. Between my KitchenAid gas range and the dishwasher I am absolutely disgusted.

KitchenAid dishwasher kud530fxss4 constant repair. Thermocouple went out, repairman replaced. 6 month later out again. Replaced with modification recommends by manufacturer. 7 months later out again. Replaced again. Now circuit board fried. Appliance is not worth the price. I have had dishwashers costing half as much last years. Will never buy KitchenAid again. Dishwasher is 4 years old and going to the trash bin.

Cleans well, looks good, moderator noise level, durable (I've had it for almost 14 years). My only criticism of this dishwasher is that it has leaked off and on over the years that I've had it. No one can figure out why that is. I've assumed that the leaking has to do with the way I load it but that theory has been debunked by running it with only a few dishes loaded exactly as they should be. Still a mystery. Looks good. Moderate noise. Has held up (and hope I am not jinxing myself by saying that now!).

I purchased a KitchenAid dishwasher, model # KUDC10IXWH4 on August 1, 2013. I have been having difficulty with the machine for the last 6 months. My dishes were coming out dirtier than when I put them into the machine. The machine was not using the soap, it just piled at the bottom. I tried powder soap, liquid soap, and pod soaps with no help. Finally my husband made it so he could watch the washing process. The spray was only going up about 4 inches - not hitting my dishes. No wonder I have problems. We are trying to put in a new motor at $100.00. I have only had this machine for 2 years and I already have to make costly repairs. Very disappointing!!

I based my answers on convenience and performance. My KitchenAid dishwasher looks great, it's black and looks pretty in the kitchen landscape, but it's been so annoying at times. When it works, it works great. But for a long time we dealt with a broke part that made the top tier have to be manually clicked into place every so often or it would not roll back and forth. We were sent the wrong part in the mail and continued just dealing it with for months and months.

Not to mention, the dishwasher doesn't close smoothly, it seems to be slightly too small for the space it was installed in because we have to push it extra firmly to click into place when closing it. It was a KitchenAid serviceman who installed it. I wanted to get a different brand than KitchenAid but we live in an old apartment building that doesn't accommodate new big dishwashers. Our choices are limited and KitchenAid was one of the few choices that fit our size. I should say it is working fine now and does perform well. I am satisfied with it.

It does not clean well as it should no matter which brand or type (gel vs power vs pack) I use. Noisy. Long long cycle. I have had two kitchen aids before this and was happy. Then this house came with Maytag which did not do halfway good job cleaning. Then when it broke I chose KitchenAid. But this one seems noisier and even the cycle seems long - it may be average just seems long. The dishes do not come clean. Especially forks.

It has done a terrific job, washed a lot of dishes, I would purchase another one if this one quit. I have used this dishwasher every day, sometimes twice a day. It has done very well.

Model KDTE104ESS - purchased 13 months ago; 3rd dishwasher we had - others changed with kitchen upgrades, never had a failure such as this. Previous dishwashers were Kenmore, Frigidaire; latter was a very basic model; in same residence 32+ yrs, kids (3) no longer part of current household. Dishwasher used 6-7 times per week in household of 2, with my wife cooking 5-6 days a week; moderate use, rarely use heavy-duty clean cycle with present dishwasher. This model has a 2-stage filter (fine, coarse), with recommended cleaning varying from once/2 months to yearly. We did not clean it since new, since we scrape dishes, do minimal pre-wash or none - our usual practice for 32 yrs in present house, 6-8 yrs in prior house.

When dishwasher quit draining, checked filters, small amount of residue (1/2 tsp or less), no significant coarse grit seen. Noted no discharge from DW via exhaust tube with 3 successive cycles. I watched running empty DW. Had purchased an extended warranty for a year (3 appliances, range, fridge & DW), all purchased together, all KitchenAid, 13 mos ago with complete kitchen remodeling after 22 yrs since last remodeling.

Repairman (under warranty) checked machine, found exhaust pump "clogged with debris", failed; emptied some particulate matter from exhaust tube into a bucket, looked like congealed fat, a few parsley & other leafy matter. No hard grit seen. He did say that matter had been pulled past the filters (couldn't say why other than pump has a suction like a vacuum), though neither filter was even moderately clogged.

KitchenAid approved a $300 plus sum for pump replacement; their consumer services could not answer my query as to how so much debris got past the filters to cause pump failure within 13 mos. This model does not have a grinder as in next higher model, but again, there was not much particulate debris I could see; pump was not yet removed, so will wait to see what it looks like.

In summary, very disappointed with this early pump failure, with way less usage than in prior dishwashers that functioned well for a family of 5 for 10 yrs, and 22 yrs respectively. Believe Kenmore is made by Whirlpool, the parent company of KitchenAid, so the design, though older, is I feel similar. Modern DW detergents (we use the satchets, not powder or liquid) recommend NOT scraping too much food residue off dishes, to allow triggering of enzymatic action for cleaning dishes. We rarely see residue, occasional baked on material such as egg yolk, which we now clean off; no pots go in DW, rare baking dishes, which we scrub off in the sink. So we don't feel this DW was overworked.

Writing this while searching for others with similar pump failures, trying to understand why two levels of filters failed to protect a pump that obviously is rather delicate, hence recommendation by KitchenAid Consumer Services now that every month we run an empty cleaning cycle with an Affresh tablet to clear the system. BTW, we've never seen hard-water residue inside any of our dishwashers; the prior two did not have stainless steel interiors, never required special interior cleaning with bicarbonate etc., for any build-up; we get city water, pipe-bourne, just flushed out my gas water heater after 4-5 yrs, saw a small amount of milky flow at beginning of drainage, then clear; I have a water filter at my house cold-water intake; the water (filtered) in the 'fridge is always clear, no problems with ice-makers over 32+ yrs, no hard-water cum anywhere.

KitchenAid has no answer for us other than the Affresh cleaning cycle; we use a comparable DW detergent to the recommended Cascade, not Cascade Platinum as recommended; anybody with a similar problem, either with KitchenAid dishwashers or any Whirlpool family dishwashers (include the high-end Jenn-Air brand now)? Am feeling very disappointed with this choice right now, will expect another pump failure in 1-2 yrs, if so will look for remedy from KitchenAid, or else...!

Can scan receipt of purchase from Lowe's store locally if required. I have no repair order number, as requested below. Do have extended warranty # if required. We had Sears brand appliances in our old house (8 years), still have Sears (Kenmore) washer and dryer, 3 sets over 43 yrs of married life, 2nd set in this house, first set lasted 24 years, top-loaders, replaced when laundry room was remodeled, now with HE front loaders that are currently 8+ years old. Some repairs were needed, recall replacing motor of current washer when motor-bearing became noisy.

Bought and broke down less than 2 months later. Was repaired and it worked for about 3 months - different problem. Won't empty. Revolving arm on top will not move. Detergent cakes so quickly and often does not dispense.

It is the best dishwasher we have had. The dishwasher has the standard 2 pull out baskets as well as a pull out top tray for cooking utensils. It also has a stainless steel interior. Our kitchen is open to the living area and this dishwasher is so quiet that it does not interfere with watching television or disrupt any conversation. All of our K-A appliances in this house including the microwave and range hood also offer this level of quiet.

I tried to find the diagrams for KitchenAid Model KDTE204DSS1 to no avail, as they keep providing a different but supposedly similar model. The washer has a pump that whines and screams and now it will not pump. I did the usual, and cleaned the filters etc. Finally with a turkey baster, I emptied all of the water from washer. I then carefully removed the three prong brown wire from the pump. I twisted the pump and it came out in my hands. Once the pump is totally dissimilar to all pump on the dishwashers that Kitchen Aid lists. This does not make very happy. As I write this, should I find/buy a pump in the morning and put it in place and the machine again fails, I look at the circuit board and head to Sears to buy a Kenmore. Kitchen Aid needs to be in the garburator.

Compare Dishwashers