Sears Appliance - Dishwashers

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 19, 2018

341 Sears Appliance - Dishwashers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 19, 2018

I bought a dishwasher. It's maybe a year-and-a-half old. The motor went out after I made an appointment with customer service to come fix it. They stood me up the first time. Finally came out and fixed it but now some other things have gone wrong with it. I make an appointment and then they keep changing the schedule then I get hung up on from customer service... I would highly recommend never using Sears for any kind of appliances whatsoever. What's the point of buying a warranty when they don't stick to it!!! A very rude customer service. They don't even speak English. Will never buy any kind of Sears appliances again. I will spread the word to anybody that I know to never go to Sears to buy anything!!!

Original review: March 31, 2018

I purchased a high end dishwasher online from Sears including installation. The total amount charged on my account was $968.98. On my order it was to be delivered 3/15. What that didn't say was the delivery was to a warehouse and the installer was so busy it would take 2 more weeks for him to install it in my house. I called to cancel and was told it would be refunded in 5 to 10 business days. I waited the 10 days and I have been calling and now they are saying it was processed and should take another 3-5 days. I have been told they are working with my bank etc. But nothing! They took the money immediately, why does it take 3 weeks and multiple phone calls and no refund.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

In Nov we contacted Sears Home Services that our dishwasher was not working. No one could come look at it until Dec 9. At that time the serviceman said it was possibly electronic board so one was ordered. It was implied that we had an appt on Dec 16 to install. They did not come. Next available appt was Jan 3. The service man came back and installed the electronic board. When he finished I commented that the dishwasher door and sides did not seem to be wet. He showed me how it filled and assured me it was fine. The dishwasher was not fixed.

Next appt available for them to come look at dishwasher was Jan 25. They finally came out and found that maybe it was another part. Part was ordered. Next available appointment: Feb 19. Today they came out and found that part also did not work, and the service man was recommending the dishwasher be replaced... I do not know yet how much money, but I am sure it will not be enough to cover a dishwasher, nor cover the last 4 months without a dishwasher.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Well after a year the Sears dishwasher started leaking. They fixed it and now it has been running for 17 years. The only problem is the rack's coating is coming off and costs too much to replace.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

Purchased a Kenmore Elite Dishwasher on June 20, 2017. Broken on December 3, 2017. Called for Sears repair. No appointment available until Jan. 4, 2018, one month later. On that day it snowed. Sears called me and left a voice message that they are canceling the appointment and I need to reschedule. Next earliest appointment is Feb.5! THEY canceled and I had to go to the back of the line for a new appointment. I called customer service or used chat more than 10 times to get an earlier appointment. No help. Called complaints. No help.

I called every service number they had and nothing. They often said, "We will call the District Manager and we will contact you in 48 hours." LIES. Nothing. I called the Brooklyn store and spoke to a manager. She said, "Nothing we can do because you purchased it online." I said, "But I came into the store and YOU used the online service." She said, "Nothing we can do." Still waiting for repair. I asked, "What if the technician can't fix it right away because a part is needed?" Another month to wait. What if I want to return it? They answer, "You can't because it's more than one month since purchase." But I have a one year warranty! Too bad, they say. You can't return it UNLESS 8 repair attempts are made and can't be fixed. EIGHT? Yes, I promise I didn't make this up. If you buy from Sears, you are taking a huge risk. Good luck.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sears?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I had Sears repair my dishwasher sometime last year. It was a fuse that went out. Recently my dishwasher stopped working so I called Sears. Found out it was the same fuse that was replaced the first time. The technician explained the wiring was not done the first time and that's why it failed. This time the wiring was replaced. I am very disappointed with Sears as I had to pay twice for something that was not my fault. I called customer service only to be told they only guarantee workmanship for 90 days. They were not interested in making it right.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I ordered online a dishwasher from Sears on October 26, 2017, and paid for a warranty also. As of today, December 26, I have not received the dishwasher or been able to have my Sears MasterCard credited back for the charges. Each time I call I get a customer service rep in the Philippines that assures me they will have it taken care of in three business days. The only response I get in three days is an email stating that they are not able to credit my account and the whole process starts over again. This has happened at least four times with no resolution. Is there any way to contact a Sears rep. that will truly help with this matter?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

We bought a Kenmore Elite dishwasher 4 years ago for $1000.00. It has leaked since it was almost new. It has also never ever cleaned well. It leaves a scum on the dishes. I have done everything the techs have told me to do including the soaps and spot remover as directed. It always leave filth and scum on the dishes. We have to rinse them by hand to get the scum off the dishes. It has ruined almost all our dishes and silverware.

We bought the extended warranted. I have had them repair the leak now 6 times and is never stopped leaking and it has never cleaned better. They replaced no parts that seemed to make a difference. One tech even tried tweaking the dishwasher door. They have erased several of the appointments from the history. It leaks randomly. It has ruined the floors and baseboards. I have a claim number for the floor to be repaired but there is no purpose as it still leaks. The front kick balance has not been on in years because it molds the insulation when it leaks.

Now it take three weeks to get the techs out to do a repair. They are useless. The Sears new lemon requirements requires four visits in one year with replacement parts installed each time. This means 8 visits arranged and 8 times off work then the hassle with the useless people on the phone. They are making it so hard to get service that it just is not worth it. The company is totally out of integrity and have become slime. I hope they go completely out of business. I am left with a ruined floor and a ** dishwasher.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I bought a new Kenmore dishwasher almost 3 years ago and have had problems with it since I bought it. It broke down on me more than a dozen times and I have a Sears Master Protection Agreement. They suck and anytime I set up a appointment to have it fixed they take over a month to get here and then they have to order parts and have them sent here so then it’s more waiting time for it to be fixed. Out of the almost 3 years I’ve been stuck with this crappy dishwasher and crappy customer support this damn dishwasher was been broke down a year probably and this go around. I’ve been waiting 3 months without a working dishwasher.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

September 29th is when my dishwasher broke. Finally on November 11th they said it couldn't be repaired and it needed to do research for replacement. December 13th and it's still in research. I've spent over 8 hours on the phone. No callbacks. No answers. Don't take Sears Home Appliance Warranty.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Over 3 months ago, we called for service on our dishwasher, the door kept opening and stopping the cycle. I told them the latch was worn and perhaps they should bring one with them. We were told it would be 3 weeks before a service person would be here, I figured they would bring a new latch with them. The man arrived, looked at his service order, says he needs to order parts and leaves, doesn't even look at the dishwasher. The parts are to be delivered to the house, and we are to call them, to schedule installation, when they arrive.

The parts arrived but no latch assembly, we call, another 3 weeks for a serviceman to arrive. A different man arrives, installs new springs on the door and somehow gets the door out of alignment, now it is hard to close, he leaves without responding to our questions about the door not closing without difficulty. Ten minutes into the cycle the door pops open. Another 3 weeks to get someone out. The first one reappears, "adjusts" the door, I ask him to stay for a test run, says he does not have the time. I start the machine, 5 minutes into the cycle the door pops open. Again we call for service, another 3 weeks!!! I told them that maybe they should send the third stooge next time. Still not repaired.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I contacted Sears to repair my dishwasher. 4 days later someone came out from A&F. They said I needed a part and wanted $100 copay. 3 weeks later come out and replaced part. Said everything is good. 3 days later ran dishwasher and it did not work right. Called again and they came out 2 weeks later and said it needs another part and want a $100 copay. They said it needs some other part. Ok paid it, again came back and now they say it needs another part. I cancelled the plan. A total waste of money.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Purchased new Kenmore Ultraclean dishwasher Aug. 2017. Would not go through cycle. Service tech said pump was not working and would be back... Now it's Nov 20th and they canceled again 3rd time!!! The 2nd full kitchen set we purchased from Kenmore in 2 years... Never again. We will go back to Whirlpool.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Sears customer service and repairs department is the worst. Frustrating is putting it mildly. They are rude, arrogant and totally disrespectful towards their customers. I will never buy an appliance (Kenmore Elite dishwasher) from them again because they are impossible to work with to reach reasonable resolution of broken, non functioning appliances. My dishwasher has leaked since I bought it and their first technician came out and charged a chunk of money and did nothing to fix it except tell me I should not use as much soap.

The next time I called I was on the phone for an hour going through a robot and 5 different people with no resolution. They want to charge me again to have it diagnosed but I said I would only pay if it was fixed, that's reasonable right...but not when you are dealing with an unreasonable institution whose only interest is collecting money from customers without providing a service. I will never buy from them again. I hope they go out of business. The world will be a better place without them.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

We bought this Sears Kenmore Elite dishwasher having bought from Sears before and expecting quality and value for our over $1,000 washer. We chose not to buy the extended warranty since it was so expensive. The control panel broke within the first year and was replaced for the cost of the labor only. It broke again within the next year and again about 6 months later. Each time it was repaired was almost $400 parts and labor. It has now broken again. We have gotten a total runaround from Sears, Kenmore and LG who we were told actually manufactured the machine. The numbers they give always go back to Kenmore repair with a recorded voice that gets you to a foreigner operator who just tells you they can do nothing except sell you another even more expensive warranty. We will probably have it removed and buy another product and never buy from Sears again.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

We purchased several Kenmore appliances from Sears during a kitchen remodel (total cost $7,800). One of the appliances purchased was a Kenmore Elite dishwasher (Model 665.12763K312 at a cost of $800.00) which came highly recommended. The unit was installed in summer of 2015. Usage of this unit has not been high as we are a family of two. We were very pleased with the unit to begin, cleaned well, extremely quiet, etc. In August 2017 the unit began leaking, damaging our hardwood floors. We called a recommended service technician (as Sears in our area does not have in-house service) and he came within two days. The diagnosis was a leaking seal at the bottom of the motor. The seal was replaced and the leaking stopped. About a day or two later we noticed that the unit began making a groaning noise when running and never completed a full cycle.

The intense heat melted several items that were deemed dishwasher safe. In fact the plastic stopper at the end of the top rack to allow the rack to stay on the guide, melted. We called our service technician again and he ran the machine through a couple quick tests and did not find anything wrong. We ran the unit and it seemed to function normally for one load but for subsequent loads went back to the same behavior. We are afraid to run the unit at all! We are very disappointed with this product!!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I purchased several appliances including a Kenmore Dishwasher in August 2016. My dishwasher was delivered on 09/19/2016. I called Sears on 09/09/2017 to inform them my dishwasher was broken. The Sears rep was helpful and told me that my dishwasher was under the manufacturer's warranty so there would be no charges for service or parts. The first technician arrived on 09/11/2017 to diagnose. Parts were ordered and delivered to my home.

The second technician arrived on 09/19/2017. He re-diagnosed and said that the parts ordered were wrong, so he ordered new parts. That same technician arrived again on 09//29//207. He completed the repairs and after he took his tools to his truck, he came back in and asked me if I was interested in purchasing a home warranty for future repairs. The warranty sounded good, so I said yes. I received the coverage outline and summary of coverages a week ago. After reviewing the coverage, I decided that I didn't want the coverage.

My coverage was going to go in effect on 10/29/2017. I called Sears Home Warranty and cancelled on 10/26/2017, 3 days prior to the coverage going into effect. As soon as the customer service rep realized that she couldn't "upsell" me to another policy, she told me that she was sending me a bill for $200.00 for the repairs made on my dishwasher. I explained to her that the dishwasher was covered under the manufacturer's warranty, which both service repair guys knew that I had, but apparently, the second service repair guy submitted the repair costs to Sears for reimbursement of his time. The service techs don't get paid much when an appliance is under the manufacturer's warranty, but if they can sell you a home warranty while they are at your home, they then submit the work order as a warranty claim and then receive a higher payout. Shame on you Sears for not catching this and/or not doing anything about this internal scam!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I paid for a dishwasher two weeks ago with a promise of delivery and installation in 1 week. The store where I bought it has no idea where it is. I called corporate customer service and have never experienced such unprofessional and inept people in my life. I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told "I am the highest level because our supervisors don't take phone calls." Really??? I politely told her that I would never step foot into a Sears again and will let everyone I can know about the poor customer care of this company.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

There was a problem with the dishwasher draining with an HE error message. I used the chat service with Sears, they were to come over the next day with all the repair parts and fix the machine that day. When they came over, they had a cursory glance. Without checking anything with the machine, they said two pieces probably need replacing, they would order them, and it will take two weeks. When I called customer service, they were a nightmare. Their basic response was "That is the way we do it," and refused to connect me with a supervisor or give the number for Sears corporate. I have contested the financial charges. This ALMOST LOOKS LIKE BAIT AND SWITCH.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

The service company has been here 8 times when they show up. Dishwasher has been out since June 12, still not fixed. They will not honor the warranty. I guess since they're going out of business they just do not care.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

Each Times Sears Home Warranty send out A&E to repair. Excellent technicians who have tried everything and replaced numerous parts only to fail again. Last repair technician said, “If this doesn't fix it nothing will and tell Sears to do a deal with you for a replacement.” Next day dishwasher failed again. 4 Calls to Sears Home Warranty - all promising to call back within 24 hours and arrange replacement. Never phoned back. Second last call lasted 45 minutes whilst dumbo on the line tried to work out what she should do. In the end I gave up and phoned in the next day and finally got connected with someone, James who said he would take care of it. Checked all the service records and could only go back for last 6 repairs as all previous had been wiped clean with no further details. Therefore in his mind that was my problem not his.

As such not prepared to honor any liability to help me replace the dishwasher other than saying they will nominate another repair service other than A&E who they might trust to do a better repair. I have no idea whether I will ever get any satisfaction from Sears, but as I have no intention of ever dealing with them again, probably won't matter. Today the dishwasher took 6 attempts to get it to work and I will do the sensible thing and buy a new one from either Lowes or Home Depot. I will also cancel my Sears Home Warranty renewal. I should have the Consumer Affairs reviews on Sears Home Warranty before ever signing up with them and saved myself a lot of aggro. Clearly my poor experience is a common problem.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I bought a dishwasher and refrigerator, Kenmore brand. After a couple times using the dishwasher I noticed a bad odor. I called the Jackson store and was told it was my fault as I didn't use the machine every day. Also the owner told me whoever hooked up the garbage disposal last year didn't do it correctly. The next day I noticed my wood floor was damaged in front of the machine. I called service. Took almost three weeks to get someone out. He said a bolt was loose from the factory making the machine leak. I noticed the machine is a lot noisier than before. Almost like the arm is hitting something. Never will I buy another Kenmore. I will stick to Samsung products.

Original review: July 5, 2017 My dishwasher started leaking recently. I found water spinning out from the shaft of the pump and suspected a failed seal between the shaft and the base pan.

Called Sears home repair, got an appointment for Wed 6/28. The person on the phone tried to convince me to buy the home appliance warranty that would cost $49/month but I politely declined. Few days before the appointment, got a call saying a tech has been injured and my appointment has been pushed out by one week. So the new appointment is 7/5. Got multiple reminder calls on my home phone and cell phone, along with email reminders.

Finally the tech came as expected. I described the observation and my speculation to the tech. He did a quick check and confirmed that the seal needs replacement. He also will replace the whole pump assembly because moisture has very likely gotten into the bearing. The total cost would have been $514. He immediately told me that I am getting 50% discount with a total home warranty contract. Then he explained the contract costs $69/month that will cover any repairs of all home equipment repairs.

I asked whether it makes sense to buy a new dishwasher if I don't want the total home repair warranty. He quickly helped me found a $399 dishwasher on Sears website. With tax, delivery, installation and disposal charges it would total to >$700. He immediately tried very hard to convince me to purchase the $129ish extended 3-year warranty. After I sternly declined all the offerings, and showed him Costco has similar dishwashers that offers free delivery, installation and disposal, we started to process the payment for today's home visit charge of $59. The payment process felt like taking forever. It was obviously a pretty antiquated system that requires doing same thing twice.

Of the ~45min the tech was here, less than 10 minutes was spent on diagnosing the issue and discussing the options. 40 minutes was him selling hard on those highway robbery crap and me repeatedly refusing them. The other 5 minutes was processing the payment. It was so irritating. Before he left, he wanted me to give him 9 or 10 rating for the visit. About 10 minutes after the tech left, he called me and told me that he forgot to close the service call. I wasn't sure what else I need to do in order to close the service call. He said he would bring somebody else on the line to finish the job. So I waited for him to bring the other guy online, and only to discover that was a after-service survey. I declined to participate because I need to go get my new dishwasher from Costco.

All and all, I got the clear impression that Sears must be super desperate and are pushing their service and repair guys super hard to sell those highway robbery crap. I wonder whether they may get a commission for any deals. In my humble opinion, when a company turns every customer service opportunity to aggressive cross selling with no regard of customers real interests, they are destined for doom in no time.

Original review: June 26, 2017

After receiving a very damaged new high end LG French Door fridge from Home Depot after a 3 week wait, we rushed up to Sears and bought the same fridge with a 3 day delivery. We were thrilled when they called and arranged delivery as scheduled. Here's where they dropped stars… Third party delivery guy made no effort to fit it through a door to kitchen (we paid extra for install and takeaway). Told us when we got it in to call and he'd come take the old away as he was in area all the time.

I removed the doors and drawers from the new fridge and walked it into the kitchen and installed it. Removed old and left on my front porch for him to pick up. I called delivery guy and he said he was right around the corner but I had to call Sears which I did, got overseas customer service and explained the fridge sitting on porch and delivery guy around corner. She scheduled pick up a week away. I stressed that he was around the corner, waiting for her direction, she agreed. At days end, I called again to hear it was scheduled for a week away. I will pay someone to take it away. It's too bad because this was almost a 5 star rating and I felt great contributing to Sears which is struggling. I need to purchase other appliances which won't be from Sears and I'll cancel my $500 maintenance contract as their customer service is beyond hope of ever being an effortless service call.

Original review: June 15, 2017

My Samsung dishwasher that I purchased at Sears on 3/31/15 has been broken since 3/17. I have had numerous (6 or 7) repairmen visits, with many, many parts replaced, only for it to break down that night or the next day. There were 3 service calls where Sears replaced parts. Sears says the contract requires 4 repairs with replaced parts. Why do they keep insisting on repairing a faulty designed Samsung dishwasher, only to have the same problem. It leaks water all over my floor and flashes LE, makes a horrible noise, and then turns off. In the last service call they ordered parts the cost over $900.00. Why do they keep putting money into a LEMON. I want a new dishwasher. Enough is enough. This is why I purchased an extended warranty, and all Sears does is fight with me & they keep sending out repairmen. The repairman, who works on dishwashers for 30 years, said that this is the worst dishwasher ever made.

Original review: June 11, 2017

We bought this Kenmore Elite dishwasher for over $800 in 2014. It has never really cleaned the dishes all that great (especially for what it cost), but the reason for this post is that in late 2016--it was barely two years old--it started not cleaning at all. We called for a repair (and they canceled on us three times before they came, telling us that the service person "was sick" on three separate scheduled visits two weeks apart). Finally, the guy came and said, essentially, that the inside drain valves were plastic/rubber and had eroded, which made the water drain right out as soon as it filled. The cost to fix it? $679! I explained that was the cost of a new dishwasher, almost. He sort of shrugged.

I'm so pissed. If I'd know the dishwasher was disposable, I would have bought a much cheaper one. Going forward, I am never spending that much on a dishwasher again and I'm doing my homework. And I'm never buying anything from Sears (this dishwasher was purchased along with several other items and the other Sears item--a Kenmore Elite--is equally terrible).

Original review: May 22, 2017

Having been a Sears customer for over 50 years, my husband and I sent back our charge cards to the CEO of Retail, because many of the company's products are now substandard and unreliable. Dishwashers are suppose to last 9 years. Since 2014 we have had to replace the sprinkler wands, door latch, dish rack sliders, and now the computer panel needs to be shaken to work. Sears has offered 10% on a new dishwasher (they always have this sale), or a service agreement for around $300/yr (we can buy a new dishwasher at $300/yr in 3 years instead of repairing an old one). We put away money for a few expected repairs, but so many major repairs needed in such a short time is alarming. Consumers have to put out a lot of money for a service agreement or to hire an independent company to service their products as they break down, even on top-of-the line products. American consumers are trapped.

Original review: May 12, 2017

I bought a top-of-the-line Bosch dishwasher and had Sears deliver and install it. I also purchased the Sears Master Protection Agreement that purports to provide the "Guaranteed BEST Coverage in the industry". It - in fact - does not. Two nights ago the dishwasher stopped and the control panel had an "E24" error message. I called the extended warranty number and the "technician" at the other end told me that this was caused by a blockage in the associated plumbing and was not covered by the warranty and that I should have a plumber look at it. So I called my plumber and he said, "there's nothing wrong with your plumbing, but the guy who installed your dishwasher did not do it right". So I paid him $150 to fix it and looked to Sears to reimburse for my out-of-pocket expenses.

After 2 hours on the phone and 5 or 6 different "experts" I was told that since the installation was over 12 months old Sears did not feel obligated to cover this cost, despite the fact that the installation was demonstrably faulty. Bottom line: there is a good reason - actually a VERY good reason - that Sears is heading the way of the Dodo bird. Poor service, poor customer support and little, if any, concern for their customer satisfaction. My advice: buy your appliances at Costco or Sam's Club. The sooner this dinosaur is dead the better.

Original review: April 26, 2017

Sears use to be a good place to buy appliances. Not anymore. I purchased a dishwasher from them. Four months later it stopped working. The repair people they send out don't care. The first appointment I had with them I requested they call me so I could open the gate to my driveway. They came, never called, just left a sticky note on mailbox. I rescheduled. The next time they were a complete no show. Rescheduled again. They came out this time said it needed a relay switch and has to order part. Had to contact them to find out if part had come in so they came out again said it needed another part so they have reordered another part.

I wish I had read these reviews before I purchased anything from them. I never will again. I don't see how they stay in business. My co worker said he purchased a fridge from them and had problems. And after the repairman had come out, it was not better but worse. You don't want to do business with this store trust me. Don't go there. Take your hardworking dollars elsewhere. I didn't mention the time I have had to take off work to meet these people trying to get this fixed. Beware.

Original review: April 4, 2017

I ordered with help from "live chat" on Sears website. He assured me they would install when they delivered the dishwasher and washing machine. AND I paid extra to have the old ones hauled away. They told me they could not install them. They told me it was an additional $130 to install dishwasher. So you don't mention that when you buy the $279 dishwasher? That there is an additional $130 to install it? That is a 50% markup, completely unexpected and downright criminal. But you take my money to haul it away knowing you can't hook up the new one? Customer service speaks fast, says the same paragraph over and over and is hard to understand. Overall a horrid experience. Don't buy here!

Sears expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Originally Roebuck & Company, Sears started in 1886 as a chain of department stores. For more than 100 years, Sears has retained a position as one of the five top-selling department stores in America.

• Deep discounts and luxury models: Sears offers a full range of brands, ranging from some of the least expensive to the highest in luxury products.

• Installation available: Sears offers same-day installation on many models.

• Inexpensive haul-away service: When replacing an existing dishwasher, avoid any bulk trash fees by having Sears take away the old one when it delivers the new one.

• Five-year service plan: Get parts and labor covered for in-home repairs through Sears.

• Free in-box delivery: If you plan to install the dishwasher yourself, you can get free in-box delivery during special offers.

• Best for: Homeowners, apartment renters, families and businesses