Sears Dishwashers

Compare Dishwashers

Research top Dishwashers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My 3.5 year old dishwasher went flooding my kitchen and destroying my hardwood floor. The Sears technician said it was the motor and gave a repair estimate of $468.52! Since this is a single person household the dishwasher was used very lightly. I asked the tech how the motor could have gone so quickly and the response was, "It is a design flaw." Sears.com's response to me was, "Sorry, there is only a one-year warranty. Cannot help you, take it up with Kenmore!"

Sears chose an installer to put in my dishwasher Aug 3. The installer popped open the seam of my Cambria countertop above the dishwasher. They sent an examiner Aug 10 who said their fault, sorry, will repair. It's now Oct 27. I call repeatedly; Sears promises to resolve it and never calls back. This isn't debated; everyone agrees that the install wrecked the counter. They just won't authorize repair/payment. You would think that I've just dropped to ball right? No company would be this unresponsive to a concerned customer that they have wronged. Well, here's my efforts:

Order: #** July 29. Installation Aug 3, installer popped open the seam. Examination of damage Aug 10 by installers head plumber. Promised to get it repaired by Keith. No action, called Sears 1800-4974402. Case # ** assigned. No return call. 9/19 Sears Manager Christine assigned damage claim #245236. Will call 24/48 hours. No call. 9/21 Sears Manager Angel said she would check and call me back in 24/48 hours. No call. 9/26 Sears Manager Ephan called the installer with me on the phone. Mindy from installation company said they would pay. She contacted Cambria Company. Cambria sent a technician who took 50 photos and said it was installation damage. They arranged Innovative Services to repair. Innovative called the Sears Installer and found that the Sears Installer company was out of business.

10/18 Sears Manager Heather emp # ** said she was sure she could get authorization for repair caused by installer but her team had to review it. She would absolutely positively call back in 24/48 hours. Got a new claim # **. No call. 10/18 Sent email to Sears Customer Service asking for help. No response. 10/20 Sent twitter to Sears Cares; they didn't. 10/27 Sent letter to Sears Corporate Office in IL, Customer Service. 10/27 Called Sears Customer Service chat line. They said they are sure it will be resolved and I should just wait more.

10/27 called for Heather. Got Manager Lena. Lena claimed our call was breaking up and said call back. 10/27 Called back immediately. Lena is gone. Waited on hold for 40 min. Got Faith **. Faith said she'll need to look into it and there's not documentation as to why Heather didn't call as promised. Asked for reimbursement right now of $200. Faith said she needs to look into it, will call back next week Friday. In 8 days. Got a new claim # **. So my message is, don't let Sears in your house. I can't fathom why their customer service staff have no authority to pay to correct the damage that we all agree on. Instead I get sympathy for what has happened.

I will never shop at Sears!! We purchased a Bosch dishwasher. We paid for delivery and installation. The gentlemen who installed it, damaged our dishwasher in the process. I explained our situation to Sears. They explained that, because this happened within a year it was under warranty. They instructed I call Bosch. Bosch's technician came down, took pictures and videos. He informed me that our dishwasher got damaged from leaving Sears to when it was installed. Basically our dishwasher was installed properly. The water leakage ruined our kitchen tiles. I have contacted both Bosch and Sears. All I get is them blaming the other. This really upsets me. All we wanted was a dishwasher. Now we have a damaged dishwasher and kitchen tiles. Any advice would be appreciated.

Nightmare! Fraud! Cannot wait to hear of Sears' demise! I bought several appliances in 2011 for a condo in Phoenix-- stackable washer/dryer, refrigerator, dishwasher---every one of these broke --leaks, won't get cold, etc almost all at the exact same time. The repairs were $400-$500 in some cases. Now! the Kenmore Elite dishwasher I purchased in 2013 sprang a leak and destroyed the hardwood floor in my kitchen. I'm told the cost of this --both a leak and a failed computer panel would cost nearly $800 to repair!!! This just weeks after the warranty expired. There is no way this timing is a coincidence. This is a fraud, engineered "Planned obsolescence" timed just in time for the warranty to expire! Where is 60 Minutes to investigate?? NEVER, NEVER, NEVER shopping at SEARS again!!!

I purchased a stainless steel dishwasher from Sears in August of 2014... 2 weeks ago I received error codes E2 and F2. A technician came out and the motherboard needs replaced because water got into it... It's a dishwasher. The cost to fix $465 I paid $673. The sales person informed me that I should have purchased the extended warranty because the appliances now only last a few years. Seriously... Fleecing of America. This is my last purchase from Sears we have bought appliances for 30 years from Sears and this is the end. They could care less about customer service or their products. Apparently everything is now made by Whirlpool who will also be getting a review... Shame on you for making poor products.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sears?

After 1.1 years old our Kenmore Ultrawash went bad. We paid Sears $59 to look at it and tell us the motor was bad. I called CS twice and sent a letter to the "Executive Team". They did not respond and after a second notice, finally offered us a 20% discount. I called them back and a young person with no authority stated that he talked to his supervisor and there is nothing they can do. What about how I will tell everyone online about this? I am considering small claim court because dishwashers should last on average more than 8+ years. DON'T BUY FROM SEARS!!!

I bought a Kenmore Elite dishwasher in 2015. Within 30 days I discovered 2 problems with the dishwasher - 1 heating element corrosion; 2 - when opening the door, the dishwasher would make a loud crack and if it was not mounted to cabinet, it would fall over. After a lot of lying by Sears associates about appointments, etc., dishwasher got replaced. Within 2 month of delivery, the new machine started leak, it got repaired, then it started the same cracking noise as well. It got repaired. Now it started a leak from the motor housing. Sears tell me that an appointment is available only a week from now, and only a tech can determine if I have a lemon after 4 repair attempts. Dishwasher is in warranty still so I did not keep receipts. DO NOT BUY THIS $1000 PIECE of TRASH.

We ordered and paid for a dishwasher, to be delivered and installed by Sears, on Aug. 19. Delivery was scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 27. We were told we would be contacted by the installer on Friday to set up a time. When no one had contacted us by the end of the day, I called Sears to find out why. Long story short, it is Monday, we still don't have a dishwasher, and no one has contacted us. I have called numerous times asking to speak with a manager and have just basically been transferred to another know-nothing. When I finally said, "Ok, I give up, just credit my card and I will call Lowe's to get a dishwasher." I was told they "couldn't" do this. At this point I am strongly considering legal action. I have honestly never dealt with a less competent entity. Ever.

Our less than two-year-old Sears refrigerator was freezing up. I learned how to defrost it with a steamer but it was happening almost on a weekly basis so we had Sears Repair come out. I assumed it had something to do with defroster not working. Tech did not even open refrig. They held out a gadget they had and spent rest of time on their computer. Costs $99 just for them to come over. He handed me an estimate of $537, which listed a bunch of parts. The unit is less than two years old!

Kenmore Dishwasher, Model No. 58714023200A - We bought a new house in May of 2013, with all new appliances. In August of 2015 the Kenmore Dishwasher stopped working. The repair person told us it was the control unit, and that it wasn't worth fixing, that these models are known to have the control unit fail especially since it didn't have a surge protector (it is directly wired). We ordered a new control board on our own at a cost of $150 and replaced it. Fairly easy task. The dishwasher has worked until now (August 2016). We ordered another control unit which cost $200, and is apparently an upgrade on the original control unit. The dishwasher now works. I don't recommend this Kenmore Dishwasher.

Terrible machine. Completely unreliable. We purchased a Kenmore Elite 6 years ago. Eight breakdowns requiring repairs, four of which were due to failure of the electronics. If you are foolish enough to purchase a Kenmore, make sure that you also purchase the maximum warranty service.

I will never purchase from Sears ever again. I purchased a $500 washing machine with a $200 Master Protection Agreement 2 years ago. I just requested repair under the agreement because there's a mold smell in my machine that we can't get rid of. The representative told me that they won't fix mold in a washing machine. Technicians won't touch mold because it is a health risk... for them! I asked, what about the fact that their machine has a defect that is causing a health risk for my family? No response.

When they sold me the Master Protection Agreement, no one said, nor was it in any of the paperwork they gave me, that mold wasn't covered. It said: "unlimited service and no charge for parts; no-lemon guarantee; annual preventive maintenance check; produce replacement if your covered product cannot be fixed." I am incensed. With the hundreds of class action lawsuits about this exact problem, and having been told that mold was no longer a problem with these machines, I'm just speechless.

I saw this from an earlier post from Jeff in VA: "Model 665.12783k311. Have replaced the control panel and controller module 4 or 5 times at $350+ for parts every time. I have lost track of the exact number of times." Similarly to Jeff, we've had 7 repairs on this machine in 2 years and one week. 6 repairs occurred in the first year but the rule is that a certain number of parts must be replaced in order for it to be considered under the "lemon law" and lots of visits were different technicians without parts.

Who has the time to take so much work off? One tech tested a motherboard and wouldn't leave it in - so it didn't count towards replacing a part (lemon law) and just put it down as unable to fix. Ultimately the 6th repair "fixed" the unit. Here I am a year later and it broke again. A technician came out (7th visit now) and I spent $150 spent on a water valve (based on the dishwasher error code) but that didn't work. He said it could be the motor or control panel but can't be sure. So frustrating. Completely feel like we purchased a lemon and consumer reports rated this high.

We bought this dishwasher based on Consumer Reports ratings. Within a few months the track for the upper pull out where you place the glasses and small dishes fell apart. It was covered under warranty and replaced with a more traditional system. Now the lights will not shut off once the cycle is done. Research online point to a Motherboard issue which may cost up to half of what we paid for the dishwasher. The dishwasher is 18 months old! My old KitchenAid lasted almost 20 years. Too bad companies that manufacture junk don't get surcharged for filling landfills prematurely. Consumer Reports won't be a go to source any more.

Our last dishwasher lasted 18 years and the only reason we replaced it was because the noise drove my husband nuts. Did a lot of research on what a good replacement would be. Consumer Reports gave this dishwasher very high grades. Three years later we are having to replace the "motherboard" to the tune of almost $500 dollars. Sears just got crossed off my list for future purchases. Consumer Reports will no longer be believed...

Model 665.12783k311. Have replaced the control panel and controller module 4 or 5 times at $350+ for parts every time. I have lost track of the exact number of times. The first time it failed was the day before Thanksgiving. How's that for great timing? The control panel on the end of the door appears to not be even slightly water resistant. A little water drips off the counter onto the panel and it fails - Crap. When it fails it takes the controller with it - Double Crap. 'Cause you know, a dishwasher never gets wet? What idiot designs this stuff. The wife says she will never have another Kenmore Elite appliance.

Leaking at sump seal. Mine went out just out of warranty barely over a year. Do you think Sears would help. Hell no. I will never shop at Sears again. I ripped up my credit card. Everyone else should do the same. 1300 dollars down the drain. Thanks Sears. Sears has really gone down the tubes. They used to be synonymous with America and value. Now they are synonymous with trash. Sears = Trash. Poorest customer service I have ever dealt with. Don't bother buying appliances from them. You will be treated better by other big box or local appliance store.

I take care of senior citizens and my one family bought two dishwashers from Sears. And paid $ 149.00 for delivery one up on main floor and one downstairs and paid $19.00 for kits for fittings. If needed to replace from old ones. Also we paid $ 25.00 for removal (not sure each or both). They called and said they were on way and said "did the store tell you it's an extra $25.00 to take it downstairs." I said "we paid already on Sears credit card." "No, it's cash only." He demanded or he couldn't take it down.

When they brought they couldn't install. Coz the store didn't give them anything to install. He said "you will have to hire a plumber (for fittings) and we will bring it back to install the rest." Cost for plumber - $100.00. They came back. Pushed it in. Plugged it in and left. We went to use, neither works. Called customer service. Guess where they are. India. Really. Not USA. Get this stuff out. Sears is not what I was brought up on anymore. This stuff is leaving. Wish us luck.

We purchased a new dishwasher Dec. 2015. We hired Sears to have it installed. What a nightmare. First the company delayed us. Then the install company did not show up and finally called 4 hours after their appointment (after I called Sears) to say they had a delay on their previous job. No phone call. Finally got it scheduled and there were three people there. It took them several hours to install a dishwasher in a space that already had housed a dishwasher. There was one gentleman in training so I was trying to be positive.

Unfortunately it has not stayed attached to the wall so it moves around and they appear to have left off a cap from the inside. I called Sears to request someone out to fix it and was firm that I did not want the previous company back out in my home. Have not heard anything for over a week. I am looking to hire a company to come out and help us and I will be submitting the bill to Sears for reimbursement. Not sure I will use Sears again.

This dishwasher was purchased July 7, 2012 based upon the recommendation and rating provided by Consumer Reports. I, like many of you reading this review, have relied upon quality appliances from Sears for most of my life. I have had the same bad experience with this dishwasher as have a number of you and I truly do feel your pain. Fortunately, I have not had an issue until December of 2015. The issues were two-fold: (1) malfunction of cycles (running too long), dishes not being cleaned and soap residue from packets and/or powder on the bottom of the machine, (2) the "Big Bang", water gushing out from under the dishwasher.

This is the manufacturing flaw (clamp on hose to motor) by Whirlpool. Bottom line thus far: new control panel, new pump motor, and $4,000 in damages to cabinets. The only thing that will resolve this is a class action suit against Sears and Whirlpool. They have known the problems with this machine for some time now. It is time to do something about this issue!

Purchased a Sears Kenmore Elite dishwasher Aug. 2014. December 2015, dishwasher stopped working. Called Sears and a technician came out and said it would be a month until parts could be ordered and replaced. Technician just left. The part sent was defective and now I have to wait another 8 days for a new part to arrive and put in the dishwasher. Maddening that a new dishwasher works less than 18 months! Never again will I buy another from Sears!!!

I bought a Whirlpool dishwasher from Sears 8 months ago. Since then it has had 8 service calls, 5 repairs and 3 where they came out with the wrong parts. My dishwasher has now been broken since December 5th. At this time they have agreed to replace the dishwasher which seemed like a good thing... Not. So I chose the new dishwasher on December 23rd. They finally called me on January 6th and cannot install the new dishwasher until January 27th. At this point I would have rather they fixed the old one at least I would have a dishwasher. I have spoken with installation, delivery, customer service, the local store and the compensation department spending hours on hold, being hung up and getting the wrong answers. It appears to me Sears is no longer a reputable company. Buyer Beware!!!

First, we tried to go to a Sears store to purchase a dishwasher. The clerk took forever to run the transaction, and when we arrived home, he called and said he did it wrong and we had to come back. We went to the store and picked up the $1000 in cash that we had spent at the store. I then purchased this item online after a good bit of research. Ordered on 12/5/15, delivered on 12/14/15. The dishwasher leaks.... large puddles on floor when used. First time or two I did not notice, or was not home, and the leaks destroyed my wood kitchen floor in front of dishwasher.

Called Sears on 12/21 with the complaint, at which time they were supposed to respond. Called again on 12/28, and they ordered a new dishwasher, but refused to address the damage to my home. New install was supposed to be delivered on 1/5/16, but the unit and installers are a no-show. So, I spent a total of $996.94 on a dishwasher that is not usable, and that has caused significant water damage to my home. I've been told twice that I will receive a call within 48-72 hours... but no call yet. I'm guessing one will not come. The time and angst this has caused is terrible. Please, please, please show Sears and their horrible foreign customer service that this is not acceptable, and shop elsewhere.

We purchased a Kenmore Elite Dishwasher (2011 Model #:665.13923K011) on 6-4-11 and have had problems with it from the start. It is a stainless steel, "top of the line" dishwasher. Thank God we purchased warranty because services made on it have totaled over $1,300 so far. 11-16-11 Electrical Control Panel (replaced 1st time). 08-24-12 Electrical Control Panel (replaced 2nd time) and Pump Drain. 06-11-13 Motor and pump replaced, soap dispenser replaced. 08-04-14 Electrical control panel (replaced 3rd time). 12-24-15 Electrical control panel (replaced 4th time), motor mount hose clamp replaced causing water to leak and GFI to trip. In addition to all the repairs made, we continually have problems with soap buildup inside the unit.

Technicians tell us something different every time such as, "You're using the wrong detergent, use this brand instead"; or "You need to use Lemon-shine, in addition to this different brand of detergent" or "You need to make sure your water is hot before starting the dishwasher", even though it is a self heating dishwasher; or "Your water is too hard", even though we had a water softener system. We even tried disconnecting our water softener to see if it corrected the issue but still had problems. Our warranty will be up next year. The panel has gone out every year that we've had it and cost $133.17 just for the part, labor to replace it $141. We will be taking Sears to small claims court. This dishwasher is a lemon and should have been recalled a long time ago. Every service technician that has come out has stated that the electrical panel on this dishwasher was a faulty design and they replace them all the time.

Purchased a Sears Kenmore dishwasher from Sears. They delivered it and when my experienced plumber came to install it, he noted it can't be side mounted. After 2 hours on the phone, they decided it was defective. They sent another plumber back, same problem. Another 2 hours. Not able to mount. Now after paying plumber $100, tipping delivery $50, they first find out it can't be side mounted. Offered me 10% off another purchase. 15 people coming for Christmas. No dishwasher, no help. Just plenty of "I'm sorry for your inconvenience." Never again will I purchase.

Purchased Kenmore Elite dishwasher in 2012. It ruptured a hose connection 13 months later and dumped water everywhere. It soaked various components. Sears was beyond unwilling to repair until I sent a certified letter to the executive VP at his house. They fixed it but did not compensate me for clean up costs etc. Move the clock forward another two years. More error codes and endless waiting for techs to come out. They send out a tech who was disinterested and said we needed another motor and control panel. Three weeks later another tech comes out to do the repair. Within 15 minutes after he left more error codes and no working dishwasher. We called Sears and get the 20 question game about how to clear the error codes. Then they have the nerve to tell me that since the technician dispatch center is closed they will be too busy to call me tomorrow until 4 pm.

The dishwasher came with a 1 year warranty when we bought it in August 2014. Now in December 2015 it broke. It doesn't clean, leaves soap all over dishes, and turns on automatically when I close the door. I've been washing dishes by hand for the past week. When I called, I was told it would be $70 just to DIAGNOSE the problem, then I'll get a quote to fix it (the $70 would go toward the cost to fix it). I was also offered an extended warranty, which would cover all of my appliances, for $39.99 a month. That's $480 a year! I might as well buy a new dishwasher! And today was my appointment between 8am and 12pm, but the technician hasn't been here yet. It's almost 12! I can't spend all day waiting at home. I have things to do that require me to leave. If I had known that the technician wouldn't come until later, I would have run those errands in the morning.

Purchased this new and had this unit installed new in 2012. It does not see hard use as we are a family of two. In the last year the plastic wheels on the bottom rack have started falling off, literally falling off. This is obviously a defect in the design or an obviously planned in advance obsolescence. We have ordered new wheels but the price for plastic wheels seemed a little high and the customer service left much to be desired. Will not be purchasing any more Sears products.

Bought this dishwasher a few years ago. When brand new, the dishes had a milky film on them after washing. The salesperson said we weren't using enough dish powder. No help. Service guy came and said "you're using too much dish powder, and your water is too hard and that you need to increase the temperature of your hot water." I pointed out that the unit has a heating element... He said "yes but it really doesn't do any good."

Added Lemi Shine to the dish washing powder. Great, no more milky film. Lemi Shine is available at Walmart and isn't very expensive. After about a year I started noticing that most of the dishes were clean but the glasses had ground up food at the bottom. This unit is 3 yrs old and has turned into a dishwasher that works only if you wash the dishes before you put them in the dishwasher.

Since I was polite to all the drones on the phone, I felt the need to write the scathing review this product deserves only to find that others already have. Nothing new here, just another voice in the chorus. Purchased in Jan of 2014 (yes, I kept the receipt). It is now Dec 2015, so nearly two years old. I also purchased the three year extended warranty. After four repair visits (three for the control board and one for the plastic rack adjuster - sound familiar?), it broke again. On Thanksgiving (of course), it leaked and also ran for 12 hours without getting past the wash cycle.

Like others, I've bought countless things from Sears. Three generations (I remember sitting on the catalog at my grandparent's table) of brand loyalty gone. The sad thing is, no one in customer support even cared. Despite paying over $800 for it, I'm throwing it out. This thing is complete junk. Even if it didn't break down frequently, it's AWFUL (slow, doesn't clean well). They are coming to take it away, tomorrow. It will be free or I'm dumping it in the Sears parking lot.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Originally Roebuck & Company, Sears started in 1886 as a chain of department stores. For more than 100 years, Sears has retained a position as one of the five top-selling department stores in America.

• Deep discounts and luxury models: Sears offers a full range of brands, ranging from some of the least expensive to the highest in luxury products.
  • Installation available: Sears offers same-day installation on many models.
  • Inexpensive haul-away service: When replacing an existing dishwasher, avoid any bulk trash fees by having Sears take away the old one when it delivers the new one.
  • Five-year service plan: Get parts and labor covered for in-home repairs through Sears.
  • Free in-box delivery: If you plan to install the dishwasher yourself, you can get free in-box delivery during special offers.
  • Best for Homeowners, apartment renters, families and businesses