GE Dishwashers

Compare Dishwashers

Research top Dishwashers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Nothing but trouble with dishwasher. GE service is a disaster. Design flaw that is forcing me to purchase another dishwasher. Dozens of call to and from service have not yielded any results. Finally a contracted repair person made it to repair dishwasher and told me it would fail again because of the design. Avoid GE appliances at all costs.

The new home that we purchased had the above named dishwasher (GDT655SSJSS). When I run the dishwasher there is a very high frequency whine throughout the cycle - the only time it stops is when it is changing cycles. I have contacted GE Customer service 3 times... The first time I was told to add a quart of water to the bottom of the dishwasher and that should 'fix' the problem. Tried that - still high frequency whine.

Second contact - no response. Third contact - today- called customer service after my negative appliance review was rejected by GE (buyer beware of all those positive reviews) and was told that this noise is 'normal'. Totally Unacceptable - since the sound hurts my ears and causes a headache - I have to listen to 111 minutes of this noise (except when the washer pauses to change cycles). This is the very worst dishwasher I have ever owned and even though it is only 2 months old I will be replacing it - and it won't be a GE Dishwasher.

GE Dishwasher GDF520PGJBB - GE has the worst dish washer machines you can ever buy. In fact never buy a GE dishwasher in general. Maybe, GE makes good refrigerators but not dish washers. We bought this from Home Depot and after 6 months it "collapsed": Pump broken, soap dispenser broken, panel doesn't work. We had before a Maytag and we used it for over 20 years without any issues. In addition, GE has the worst customer service you can imagine. They are robots, repeat the same thing with a very annoying tone, and are not able to solve a single issue.

We were even harassed by GE manager 'Evan or Aven', useless man, from customer relation who enjoyed seeing how much frustrated we were. This was the only GE appliance we have in our house, and after this unpleasant experience with GE will NEVER buy any GE appliance, even if it was free. GE refused to fix our machine under the pretext that it's not installed on Ply Wood. We didn't install the machine ourselves but professional technicians from Home Depot and they also refuse to put PlyWood under the machine as it's not a requirement. They do it every day, but looks like GE have Lazy technicians.

I moved into a house with the dishwasher already installed and it didn't work. We closed it so we didn't use electricity but it started and wouldn't stop. The power button is broken. It just sits there and the lights are always lit. I tried calling for help but the workers were very unhelpful. I called a different number and was waiting a whole five minutes and no one picked up!

GLD6560L00SS. My dishwasher (Model number:GLD6560L00SS) was producing large amounts of smoke through the face panel. It filled my kitchen with smoke and produced a strong smell. I contacted GE and they sent a service repairman out and he took a look. He said this problem is very uncommon with this specific unit and he has never seen something like this. After he removed the front panel, we were welcomed by a burnt/charcoal black face-plate. There was an internal fire in the machine.

To fast forward I have been working with GE the last 3 weeks and they have offered to cover 50% off a new unit. I cannot afford this even with a discount and they will not cover the cost of a replacement. This problem could have been much worse if I was not home. The house very well could have started on fire. We normally set the unit at night and go to bed... Thank god this was a different day. This kind of thing is unexceptionable and the fact that they will not cover.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

We purchased this dishwasher for our rental. The last dishwasher was over 30 years old and still working but the racks were coming apart so we opted for a new one from Home Depot. A year later our tenants called saying when they used the dishwasher it rained in the basement. Our maintenance man called and said the dishwasher melted a hole in the right side about 1.5 inches by a 1/4 inch. Midway to the heater element. He did a temp fix with silicone.

I called GE Recall number and was told it was not on a recall list. I called customer service and was told they would waive the service call. I explained this was a FIRE HAZARD. They insisted all they could do is send their tech out for repair. Since I paid about 280 dollars for the dishwasher I decide a service call would probably run near that and told them NO! I am now sending all information to consumer affairs department with my STATE REPRESENTATIVE. I also am putting the fire hazard info out there on facebook and twitter. I am waiting for someone else to say they also had a fire hazard. This should be on a recall list!

Has anyone experienced a plastic burning smell when the dishes are drying? My dishwasher is 3 years old and I wash on Light cycle which is suppose to be 45 minutes long but goes for 85 minutes. Company said to turn off circuit breaker and turn back on and it should be fine, it isn't. Last two times I used the dishwasher it wouldn't completely shut down so I had to do it manually and before I did this I could smell a plastic burning smell but there was nothing on the elements. I called for a service call but they were shut down for 4 days.

This dishwasher is less than 4 years old and the rack is rusting away. It seems like it happened overnight. I didn't notice anything and then all of a sudden the first is everywhere! The metal inside of the plastic is even disintegrating. It seems like it was rusting before the plastic coating came off. The only good thing I have to say about this dishwasher is that it is quiet. At 4 years old I don't think I should be having to replace both teams!

After a year and a half the dishwasher stopped draining. A $231 service call removed the three corn kernels and one watermelon seed that caused. "See it all the time" says the happy repairman. Another good example of why not to trust GE. Mrs. G's sales and service complicit in the deceit.

Purchased a GE 650 dishwasher which we quickly discovered has terrible racking for North American dishware. Also the control panel is overly complicated yet limited to use (always flashes settings even when not in use). Once you figure out how to load dishes into the very tight/ narrow tines they fall over and chip/break. When investigating the dishwashers by GE made in China/Taiwan etc all have same issue. The ones made in USA by GE have wider and longer tines. We have had MANY dishwashers over the 40 years and NEVER had one as bad as this.

When calling GE customer service the senior rep was not willing to offer any customer satisfaction as nothing technically was wrong. At one point she stated we had made the purchase so live with it even though it was the wrong choice. We offered to pay for any cost difference, etc. When questioned about GE's interest in customer satisfaction she stated that was not a warranty issue. She was not concerned about a satisfied customer. With that, we will not be purchasing another GE product or its affiliates. What a waste of money.

GE dishwasher caught fire - not part of recall. I arrived home for lunch to find smoke alarm going off and kitchen hot and hazy. Determined it was dishwasher and opened to thick black smoke pouring out. Heat so extreme cups/dishes and racks and spinning thing on bottom had melted and adhered to elements, each other and bottom. Parts of the dishwasher itself are warped (steel!). Granite countertops too hot to touch and wood cabinetry surrounding it darkened. Don't know the extent of that damage yet. Thank GOD I came home for lunch- I normally do not. I truly believe our house would have been on fire.

We bought all GE Profile appliances for our kitchen when we bought our home in 2013. Since then every appliance has had issues and have replaced parts on. The biggest disappointment was the dishwasher. It doesn't clean since day one. We bought extended warranty and had numerous service calls since we bought it through ABT appliances. Not to mention the dishwasher alone was $1000. We literally have to wash the dishes with hands because this dishwasher is only for show in our kitchen. I called GE consumer relation and they tried selling me another one with a discount for $950. What a joke. Will never recommend or buy GE products.

Two years less three weeks after we started using the dishwasher in our new home the plastic at the top of the door where all the buttons are cracked. So far it hasn't interfered with the way it's working, but we're on alert that it might not be too long. I've owned dishwashers before, one for 32 years, one for 9 years. There is no acceptable reason for there to be a crack in less than 2 years. This, coupled with a refrigerator that had a broken drawer in 13 months, I will NEVER buy another GE product again!

18" Dishwasher Model GSM1860VSS - Cleans terrifically but I have a problem with either a leak or steam which is running the front of my dishwasher and marking it. It seems to be leaking from the black panel across the top. If I check inside behind the black panel I can see marks where water has been running. Please let me know how to fix this. The dishwasher was bought in 2015 and have the receipt from Home Depot. Thanks.

We purchased a new home in 2014 with all new GE appliances. The dishwasher has never cleaned the dishes. I have to wash the dishes before I load them in the dishwasher. I might as well use the dishwasher as a drying rack. We had a service person come out before the warranty expired. We have used all of the proper cleaning recommendations and setting per the service person. Not even 2 years later, the dishwasher started leaking and ruining our hardwoods. The dishwasher was quiet but then started making a horrible noise and a burning smell emanated when door was opened. Unfortunately all of our kitchen appliances are GE. If we replace any of the appliances, they will not be GE. I will also be getting in touch with the builder of our home to let them know that GE appliances are not reliable. GE needs to recall this dishwasher.

I was given a delivery window of 10-2 on a Saturday. It was the very same day I had a friend going back to NY for a stem cell transplant so we were all going to beach one last time and then dinner. Two o' clock came and went no call, no delivery. It took 2 hours to find out what happen. The truck broke down but no one from dispatcher or the two drivers/delivery people bother to call to show courtesy. This company along with Home Depot have zero customer service standards. Start shopping at Lowe's.

We recently purchased three GE Profile stainless steel appliances for our new home. The total was somewhere around $3500. Within two weeks our $1000 dishwasher would not work. It took FOUR service calls and THREE weeks for it to finally be repaired. Now our $2000 oven (traditional/convection) has stopped working and the oven light will not go off without us tripping the breaker. Service tech not available for 5 days. I am expecting the new micro to go out any day now. All of these appliances are less than two months old. We had GE builder grade appliances in our previous home that are still running strong after 16 years. That is the reason we went with GE again. However, after the above mentioned issues with our new GE appliances, I encourage anybody who reads this to NEVER, EVER BUY ANY GE PRODUCTS AGAIN.

I purchased all GE Profile & Café appliances when we remodeled our kitchen in 2012. The DW has never cleaned well. I have contacted GE through email several times and now I have to handwash all of the silverware and re-wash most of the dishes. At times, glasses and silverware come out worse than when they went in. We have checked the water temp, pipe size. We use recommended detergent and finish rinse. We had a service call from a reputable appliance repair person, we purchased the recommended citric acid and performed the recommended protocol. This thing stinks! GE recommended another service call. I had a 20+ year old KitchenAid prior to this and it worked like a champ! Never an issue. I am ready to toss it out and buy something else (but it won't match!). Any suggestions?!!

Purchased the Maytag MDB7749SBM stainless steel dishwasher in December 2013. The dishwasher and install totaled $700, which for that price and with Maytag's past reputation, I wrongly assumed that the dishwasher would last a long time. In May 2016, slightly over 2 years, the dishwasher started having issues with the control panel. The control lock would randomly activate. I would have to reset the circuit breaker daily, leaving it off for around 10 minutes. Even with trying to go through all the steps to resolve the issue, resetting it from the circuit breaker, sequence on the control panel, the dishwasher wouldn't work. I called Maytag and after 40 minutes on hold, they finally answered. They wanted $89 for a service call and for the $143 part, plus labor. Might as well just replace it with another brand like GE, or Samsung.

My 4-month old dishwasher started to leak so I called GE to repair since it is still under warranty. Technician said there was a superfluous piece on the gasket which he removed. Dishwasher was fine for about 2 cycles when it started to leak again. As GE do not have a weekend service I had to take a second half day off work. Different technician said the gasket was not pushed in correctly and I should check it each time before running it. Shouldn't this be part of the design - a gasket that stays put?! Ran the dishwasher. Water all over the floor. The new floor that is getting ruined by this clearly faulty appliance.

My purpose is to inform the public that GE will not stand by their stainless steel dishwasher appliance on rust. In less than 10 months the outside of our door has rust spots. I used only soap and water and cloth to clean as door does not get dirty and our water in Hawaii is safe and drinkable. Does not require water filters. GE CS said, "We will only cover for 30 days after purchase," and cleaning products used and most likely our water type caused this issue.

My GE Profile dishwasher is now 4 years old and I've put up with it not cleaning well. For the last 3 years, I get a cloudy gray film over the dishes and finally figured out what is happening!! There is a gray rubber/plastic border around the bottom screen piece that has all the holes in it and covers most of the bottom of the dishwasher. I gently scraped with my finger and lo and behold it's like gray putty!! So, the whole border of this gray rubber/plastic is disintegrating!!

I had a 4 year warranty from Sears and they sent out a repairman. He is just going to order that whole screen part and replace it. He scraped the rubber and it came off for him too!! He said he never saw that before. He said it is probably the fault of my detergent which comes from health food stores and NOT the Cascade that they promote. Anyway, now I know where the gray film is coming from... We've probably been consuming this for 4 years, a little at a time (NOT GOOD)!!! I'm not thrilled with Cascade either!! Probably my LAST GE product to buy!!

Almost 2 years ago and right from the start this dishwasher did not clean. Numerous times they had people come out and supposedly fixed it. I've had different suggestions as to what to do.

1. Turn on the hot water tap and make sure it's hot.
2. Use various different cleaning solutions on top of the dishwasher soap.
3. Use loose detergent.

4. Throw at the bottom of the washer.

One of the arms keeps falling down. And the last time I was told I could return it and get a deal on a better machine. I am now left with hand washing every item that goes into it unless I want gritty glasses, dishes and silverware. I bought this at Home Depot. I will never buy any products such as this from them nor will I ever buy another GE product.

It's been more than 2 months that GE repair has been TRYING to repair my 4 month old dishwasher. 4 service calls, 3 wrongly ordered parts, GE blaming repair company, and repair CO. blaming GE. The repair company on their 4th visit told me wrong part again and that they refuse to come out anymore. They lost enough money already. When talking with GE consumer Dept. promises of a call back by a manager has been non existent, now they won't even return my call. I have a 5yr extended warranty on the dishwasher and I can't seem to get anywhere with the factory warranty. GE by far the most unprofessional company I have ever dealt with. They were happy to take my money for 4 top of the line appliances, after that you're non existent to them. It's a shame that legal counsel is what seems my only avenue. Will never consider buying GE products ever again.

Purchased a General Electric Dishwasher from Home Depot first and after 5 delivery attempts they broke my counter top and my cabinet and delivered to my home 5 broken or defective dishwashers. And after 9 weeks of bad delivery attempts I cancelled the order. Called Rosner's on a Wednesday and they delivered the dishwasher installed on Saturday of the same week. Within 3 weeks of the purchase I discovered the soap was being released just before the drying cycle and called for service or return as this was a brand new dishwasher. They elected to service the machine and I was instructed to call their service provider which by the way will only service my area on Tuesdays, this was a Wednesday that I called.

The following Tuesday I was scheduled to fly out of town and asked if they could come before 1 PM, they said yes. So when they called at 12:30 and said they'd be here at 1:30-2 I had to cancel the appointment and reschedule, and now I have had no dishwasher for 3 weeks and needed to call back for the the following Tuesday. I have had the dishwasher by the time they serviced it for 8 weeks. They told me nothing was wrong with the machine, but they would order a new soap container. And when I said the dishes are soaking wet even with the heated dry cycle they told me that was as dry as they would get, so I have a dishwasher that doesn't wash or dry my dishes!

They further explained that dishwashers were starting house fires so the drying cycle isn't as hot, not even a spot of steam comes out of mine. If I open it right after the cycle is complete, NO HEAT at all!!! The thing is extremely quiet. In fact I have to be sure everyone is really quiet to make sure it is running but, it doesn't wash or dry the dishes, it just runs quietly. This is what $653.94 and a $104.94 delivery charge will buy you. Total of $758.88, purchased 1/27/16.

Purchased this dishwasher March of 2015. We have had at least five service calls because it does not clean the dishes. Glasses with just water in them when they went in the dishwasher come out dirtier than they went in. Residue is worse on the glasses, but other dishes are not getting completely cleaned. Forget it if something is stuck on, if you don't prewash, you are washing them again. GE has replaced numerous pieces, blamed our water was too hard until they found out we had a water softener and water system and then blamed that instead. We have changed soaps (five different brands), tried every setting in multiple ways, turned off the water system and just had the water softener run, turned everything off and nothing improves the quality of the clean.

GE has even refused to pay the service technicians that they "GE" sent out to repair the dishwasher. Now we can't get anyone to come look at it because they are afraid they won't get paid. We have had three dishwashers prior to this one and have never had an issue with the dishes coming clean. We have maintained that there is not enough water pressure to rinse the dishes, but they are adamant this is not the case. Regardless, the dishes are still not coming clean. All we want is for it to be fixed, replaced or our money refunded. GE customer service is terrible.

We built a new home and selected the GE appliances including dishwasher, fridge and microwave thinking they were good brand. NOT. Fridge fan replaced twice, dishwasher 6 issues already, replace seals twice, entire door changed, no water, not working inside, internal latch won't release the soap and now, no water again. Just waiting for the microwave to stop working. Their appliance are terrible, built with poor quality and all are lemons. I'm calling tomorrow to get my dishwasher replaced after 6 repairs in a year. I would not recommend to anyone to purchase GE appliance, worst ever. Now, I'm worried they will say I'm out of warranty since it's now past the 1-year, but the problems under warranty have never been fixed. One fix causes another. I have documents to show my purchase in my new homeowner file.

I have had a very poor experience with GE. A long list of telling me my product was covered, sending me a replacement top rack for free because it was covered (rack was rusted and prong fell off just over a year), telling me it was easy to replace and didn't send a tech because it was easy (and she was going to at no charge), then when I received the rack and determined it was not easy to install, called and they said it would be a charge for technician and will not help me over the phone. They said to watch YouTube videos on how to replace it and those videos are not of my model.

Nothing in their manual about how to replace this rack. Very frustrating and I will not buy GE again. They sell their products, but do not help you maintain it without a $90 service fee just to look at it. They should put information in their manuals if they are going to sell products that rust and do not hold up. This was a builder installation and I do not have an order number. We bought the house in September of 2013.

My GE dishwasher is 30 years old and has never had a service call. It has a built-in food grinder and my dishes almost always come out spotless. Standard size, upper rack, removable utensil basket. Almond with a dark faux instrument panel with rotary dial. It was a builders model. Works like a charm but very noisy. Even though I'm a small family I've tried to use it consistently to keep the seals lubricated. It has stayed really clean inside with just using the dishwasher detergent. Unit does have some kind of preheat Electrical for the dish water temperature. The new ones don't work so well so I'm afraid to replace it.

Excellent. The dishwasher cleans dirty dishes and dries them as I expect. We use all the features periodically, usually the "RINSE & Normal" wash daily. We rarely use the "China" setting, but we do use the pots and pans and hygienic features as well. We also occasionally use the delayed start feature. Our dishwasher is a decent size four our family for daily use and for large get-togethers. Our house came with a WHITE dishwasher, which we're not totally fond of as a personal preference, BUT, its LOOK and design are fine by our standards. We have had a problem with the door catching on the screw that holds the dishwasher in the cabinet. Seems like a simple fix, but it hasn't been. I'd like to see that problem go away for any dishwasher installation.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Since it’s founding as the Edison Electric Light Company in 1878, GE has been a household name in appliances. The company's innovation keeps it at the forefront of home design with smart products and integrated technologies.

• Compact built-ins available: Where most dishwashers are 24 inches, GE offers a more compact size, at only 18 inches, which is great for small kitchens and apartments.
  • Front or top controls: Depending on your countertops, you might not be able to easily use top controls on a dishwasher, so having the option of top or front controls makes finding the right machine easier.
  • Portable dishwashers: GE's portable options allow you to get a dishwasher that you can take with you if you move. Also, with these dishwashers you don’t need a plumber to install it.
  • Under-sink installations: To keep storage loss to a minimum, GE manufactures dishwashers that you can install directly under a sink or a cooktop.
  • Guided tour to GE dishwashers: Use easy-to-navigate website resources to learn the pros and cons of each style so you can choose the one that works best for you.
  • Best for Apartment renters, homeowners and families