GE Dishwashers
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

GE Dishwashers

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 9, 2017

491 GE Dishwashers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

GE dishwasher GDT680SSH2SS - I don’t normally do product reviews... In this case, I am making an exception. This is without a doubt the very worst dishwasher I have EVER owned. I’m pleased with myself for buying the optional insurance when I bought the dishwasher from Home Depot. It has been repaired 6 times. It even had to have the main seal replaced. It flooded my kitchen and ruined my floor. My homeowner's insurance sued GE. I think it worked fine for only 6 months...then it went downhill. It is extremely loud! It sounds like your dishes are being destroyed... No, I’m not exaggerating!

I have NEVER had issues like this. I bought this GE as I really like the screen bottom so that large particles didn’t get caught up inside the pump etc... As I’m typing this, I have it set for Sani wash and the water isn’t hot at all, and it had standing clean water in the bottom when I opened it up this morning. I will also note, I rinse all my dishes before putting them in. I will never buy GE anything again.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Purchased GE Dishwasher, Model GDF540HGD488. It's two or three years old and is junk. Top rack rails failing apart, bottom rack sliding rails have melted. Bottom sprayer has melted and won't stay on, incoming water has it bouncing on the bottom of the machine. As the heat dry is in it smells like melting or burning plastic. Dishes are NEVER clean and need re-washing. GE will do nothing, warranty off. Repairman says it's just the type it is. Replacing it this weekend with a new Maytag, no way I would ever consider buying another GE product. Worst Dishwasher I ever owned.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I bought a GE Adora dishwasher from Home Depot. There is nothing technically wrong with it - in other words - it is not malfunctioning. It is just that its normal operation is AWFUL, in my opinion. The PROS: it is very quiet. The CONS: it does not clean your dishes! And since this is the primary function of a dishwasher - I would say it is a complete failure. Originally, I had hard water, and I thought that was probably the issue. I purchased a whole home Kinetico system, which remove almost all particulates from the water, and makes bottled-water-quality drinking water. (On a side-note, I would TOTALLY recommend the Kinetico system!) But even after having the water issues fixed, the dishwasher has NEVER worked properly.

I have used every type of dishwasher detergent, including Cascade Complete & Platinum, Finish Ultra & Quantum Powerball... and I have also added rinse agents etc. Basically - whatever state your dishes are in when you put them IN the dishwasher, they will only be slightly improved when you remove them. Even if you SOAK the dishes first, they come out with all kinds of residue. It does an especially horrible job on glassware, but silverware is also terrible. And I have to re-wash by hand every coffee cup that comes out. I truly loathe this machine, and will replace as soon as I do enough research about a better brand & model.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

All GE kitchen appliances delivered on time, but the dishwasher has been a nightmare. Started leaking right away, called GE and they couldn't come back out for 3 whole days after installing it, which ended up being a work day - so had to miss work to wait all day when he didn't come until 5 pm. Tried to make us pay for the service - we haven't even used the dishwasher and they think we are going to pay them to come out fix their mistake, also under a 1 year warranty. Tech guy came out ran some computer test - didn't even look at the dishwasher or underneath. Test was good, we asked him to stay a few extra minutes and he said "that's not his job". Leaked again. GE argued that we didn't get it installed by them, which was a lie. Same tech guy came out again, on a workday Again so missed work - finally figured out what was wrong, ordered the part. The part wasn't coming in for another week. So we Waited Another week without a dishwasher.

When that day came We again missed work because they said between 1-5 and didn't even show up. GE tried to say the part wasn't in but we were holding the part when we asked where they were. Infuriating at that point already missed so much work days and GE employees couldn't even do their job. GE rescheduled the appointment without even telling us. Had to wait another week until they finally came out and fixed the dishwasher. Now almost a month after they delivered the appliances, I received a charge and didn't not even email to let us know we were being charged. Horrible experience with GE and will never ever buy from them again.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

We bought a suite of Slate GE appliances during kitchen remodel 2 years ago. We've had the dishwasher, model GDT580SMF2ES, motor replaced twice now and it is still loud and stops intermittently. Thank goodness we have the extended warranty! The over stove microwave is now starting to run when we just shut the door and stops intermittently. Were ready to replace everything with a reliable brand and cut our losses. We will never buy GE again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Bought a full suite of GE appliance for our kitchen in 2011. Bought the extended warranty that we used in the fridge. Gas stove fine. Dishwasher always a problem, water won't drain, made weird noises. Has service techs out twice. Nothing they could do. Racks rotted out and spent $300 to replace. Now keypad failed. $400 TO replace. Bought a new Whirlpool. Paid $1200 in 2011 and shot in 6 years. Never buying another GE again. Family of 4 used daily but not very durable.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I purchased this GE dishwasher May 2015 through Amazon. Immediately after installation I was having trouble where it kept beeping when I went to wash dishes. A repairman came out and said there was a recall on the control panel and he replaced - no charge. In July 2017 this dishwasher flooded onto my laminate floor. I found it in the morning when I woke up. An appliance repairman came out. Did not know why it flooded. No charge this time, but he made a few adjustments and it seemed fine. Then the bottom sprayer arm broke. The heat shields fell off and the arm melted. I had that replaced.

Then the washer would not dry - no matter what I did. Repairman came out. He did not have access to the GE computer program but made some suggestions. No charge. Dishwasher seemed to dry better for two weeks. Then in August it flooded again. A repairman came out. Ran the dishwasher, but it did not flood, so he did not know what the problem was. This time charged me $60 and said call if it floods again. Obviously I am afraid to run the dishwasher at night or when I am away in case it floods again. Plus the dishwasher is not drying completely.

I have contacted GE. Their response is: "Normally we don't do this because your warranty has expired already; however, I have a bit of a soft spot and think some extra consideration is due. I did a lot of research and came up with a couple options to help you out: I realize this is not ideal but we can extend to you our discount into any new model if you find it's not cost effective to repair. I found the 2017 comparable model for you." Really??? I don't want another GE. I want a refund as this is a piece of junk. Plus this "kind" person said it would only cost me $484 and I will have another warranty.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I just built a new home and opted for all GE Slate appliances. No problems so far with microwave, fridge, and stove but the dishwasher has never once been dry or cleaned all dishes. We have had it a little over a month! Today when I went to run it, there was mold growing! I had a KitchenAid for 9 years and never once did any of this happen. From reading other complaints, it looks like I'll be living with this for some time. I will never purchase GE again.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

My husband purchased a General Electric Dishwasher from Badcock Home Furnishings in Gainesville Florida as a surprise for me in 2016. I have owned four houses and five dishwashers previously to owning this General Electric Dishwasher. None of my other dishwashers were by General Electric and worked fine. This General Electric Dishwasher is by far the worst dishwasher I have ever used in my life. It does not clean dishes no matter how well you stack the machine with your dirty dishes and utensils. I can always count on having to rewash at least 10 dishes and or utensils for each load that I wash in this dishwasher. Also, the detergent dispenser does not empty completely.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

Horrible experience. I wouldn't recommend GE appliances to anyone. My husband and I ordered our items on the day of closing on our new Home. Well the items were scheduled to arrive Aug 9, 2017. Every other Appliance arrived from Samsung, but my GE dishwasher was a no show. I received a phone call hours later stating they didn't know it was on Backorder and I won't receive it until Aug 11, 2017.

I spoke with supervisor Krista because I didn't understand the lack of respect far as not knowing if the 11 was a good day or even so much as an apology! Until I expressed how upset I was! 2 hours later I received a automatic message stating the items it still on Backorder and now it's not coming until Aug 17th! I spoke with Home Depot who apparently has nothing to do with the vendor handling and conducting business this way and now I have to go return the product & order a new product.

I don't even want GE appliances AT ALL. After calling today being put on hold 30 mins still no supervisor came to the phone. Terrible Customer service and lack of communication of the vendor. I'll be sure to highly encourage my friends and family to not support this Brand! Feeling upset and totally let down. I know this can't be how such a popular brand conducts business.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

Slow leak that caused E4 code to beep incessantly! Had a warranty repair person look at it... Turns out the new dishwasher has a faulty seam that in fact leaks! This is all fine until... one has to make numerous calls to the GE warranty line, which should be called a WARNING Line. The customer service rep was very rude and reprimanded us for not noticing the leak sooner, he seemed to not believe we had any issue... All because they could not find the service repair # that was submitted.

Anyway, two weeks later we still wash our dishes and NO one has called us back from GE with any answers... SO FRUSTRATING! DO NOT BUY A GE PRODUCT whatever you do... This company has the worst customer service and warranty program. We make our daily call in hopes of being looked after one day... They keep telling us that a manager has to approve the replacement of this POC unit we spent $917 on!!! My business partner is about to purchase 20 GE dishwashers for his apartment block... I guarantee that his order will change after we chat this weekend! Thoroughly done with ALL GE products after this nightmare!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

We purchased a GE Adora Dishwasher less than 6 years ago from Home Depot. An unknown continual leak has caused substantial black mold, warped sub flooring and cracking of very expensive Saltillo tile of which we've had to remove. GE should be accountable and will be. Nearly, a $800 Dishwasher will cost us thousands in repairs and mold abatement. Unbelievable.

Original review: July 26, 2017

Model: GDF610PGJ2BB. Serial: HH723000B. Plastic piece of junk! Purchased less than 60 days ago and needed repair service 4 times and they still refuse to replace it. First it was the soap dispenser, then it was the flimsy, plastic door that does not line up to locking mechanism. And 3 weeks later, now it is the control panel. You are lucky to even talk to a human and if so, all they do follow a "script." Read the fine print and ask lots of questions BEFORE purchasing ANYTHING these days. Corporate America at its finest once again!

Original review: July 6, 2017

I purchased a GE dishwasher model GSD2100v50BB on June 6, 2016. By March 9, 2017, a switch broke which caused the machine to be stuck in the wash cycle for over an hour before it was discovered. This caused soapy water to flow out of the machine all over the floor. It was fixed under warranty but by June 29, 2017 it broke again. It is no longer under warranty and it will cost $70 to 100 to fix it again. It was purchased at Home Depot and they state it is to be handled by GE. GE states that since a year has elapsed, they are not responsible for the repair.

Original review: July 3, 2017

I purchased a GDF520PGJ dishwasher from Home Depot and it still doesn't work. Home Depot has no return policy and G.E. has been unable to resolve. I have written to GE Appliances Consumer Relations for a replacement but pending another service call. It's unfortunate that there is no recourse with Home Depot as was advised that I need to work with GE for the first year warranty yet my dishwasher hasn't worked for the past month. Buyer beware.

Original review: June 28, 2017

My life partner/bf moved into a semi flipped 10 yr old home. Every single appliance required to be replaced, everything from refrigerator, stove/oven, to dishwasher. We researched every appliance we purchased, a lot of time and effort along with reviews from various reputable reviewers, pointed us to the GE GDT DISHWASHER. Who can go wrong with three tier washing amongst jetted water bottle washers?

After a 1 1/2 yrs in the top spinner completely separated from its housing. We googled the problem, GE said it was a faulty design, yet no recall. The door lock began to fail, googled the repair fix, another fault design, yet again no recall. Upper plastic door trim broke in half, solution, replace the entire console. Guess what? My solution here on out is to not buy GE products. If two years is all you get with a GE product, I am out! Done with your products that once lasted 10 to 15 years. The fact that have to research another DISHWASHER, absolutely pisses me off. I dare you GE to win me back!

Original review: June 9, 2017

DO NOT BUY GE APPLIANCES. The quality is terrible even on an expensive dishwasher. I bought a $700 dishwasher in November 2016 and in April 2017 it was broken, parts not available, but after fighting with customer service, they sent me the parts at my house. No one is available to come over to install the parts, the parts are sitting at my table. I guess they want me to install them myself. I even had purchased a 5-year warranty. Customer service is non existence at General Electric. I know I will never purchase a GE product ever again.

Original review: June 5, 2017

I love the way the dishwasher is so quiet and cleans the dishes well. However, they are ALWAYS WET. A repairman came and told me that I could not expect the dishes to be dry on the light cycle with the POWER DRY. He told me I have to wash on the normal cycle. I did that and they are still wet. He came back out again and basically had no viable explanation. I have to have a dish towel in hand to dry the dishes as they come out of the dishwasher. I paid a lot of money for what I consider the piece of junk that is sitting in my kitchen. I will never again buy a GE PRODUCT.

Original review: June 1, 2017

Purchase date 4/20/15; Model # GDT 580 SMF ES; Serial # VD776355; Dishwasher wasn't installed until the end of June upon completion of a complete kitchen renovation. Eight months later, on March 1, 2016, the dishwasher was leaking water all over the kitchen! I initiated a service call and the repair man replaced the seal and it has worked without leaking until April 13, 2016. AGAIN a very large amount of water poured out of the left side of the door. The repair man had to return 3 more times and finally didn't have a leak for almost another year. Now, June 1, 2017 my kitchen is once again flooded. This machine is garbage - Very expensive garbage. Don't waste your money! I had previously purchased from Sears and never had a water leak in a machine that was 20 years old.

Original review: May 27, 2017

I have used 4 dishwashers of various brands in my house over the past 30 years. The current one is a new GE dishwasher (Model No: GDT695SSJ0SS), which is by far the worst. The dishwasher never dry, no matter which cycle I choose. When it is done (green light on) water still flowing down everywhere inside - on the door, on dishes, at the bottom. When I called GE customer service it said I have to use rinse agent in order to get it dry. Of course that means we have to constantly buy that additional product (made by a GE subsidiary?).

For those who don't remember this, our old dishwashers did not required the use of additional product and still dried dishes perfectly. GE is apparently producing products of lower quality, yet the repairman sent by GE claimed that this model is their best ever. Really? Is this company so arrogant that it pays no attention to the convenience of its customers? Since the repairman found no defect with the machine (even though it does not dry), GE refused to accept either a replacement or a return. From design to functions to price this is indeed a lousy machine. I'll never purchase another GE product again.

Original review: May 24, 2017

One day after the new GE dishwasher was installed, I came home to find water raining down into my basement. My kitchen floor was destroyed. The installers came out a week later to look at it. They determined it was a faulty unit. They ordered another one. I started an insurance claim with GE. They sent a technician to look at it. 2 1/2 weeks after it was installed, the technician showed up. Surprise, it was leaking anymore (The water had been shut off for 2 weeks). Several days later the replacement unit arrived and was installed.

Two days later, this one started dripping. I called to have it removed. The installation crew was scheduled to come back on Saturday to remove the dishwasher and get it out of my house. On Thursday, this unit started pouring water out onto my floor. The occasional drip had become a steady stream of water. More than a month after buying this hunk of junk, it was finally removed. I've ordered a different brand of dishwasher. I've hired a contractor to come and replace my floor. GE denies any responsibility. I will be starting a lawsuit against them. I can't say enough horrible things about dealing with GE.

Original review: May 23, 2017

I bought a GE dishwasher model #GDF570SSJSS from Sears. It was delivered on Thursday, installed Friday (by myself and a daughter) and the first test run produced nasty, dirty dishes. It took 2 hours and 10 minutes for it to declare that the cycle was finished and the dishes were "clean". Fortunately I did not opt for the drying cycle. Or else the nasty crud would have been baked on. I called GE service and they scheduled a Monday service call. Monday, a very nice man hooked the unit up to his computer and found nothing wrong. He then placed a plexiglass door on the unit so he could watch the cycle. He found that the connection to the upper arm was not attached. He snapped it into place and declared that it was fixed.

While I watched through the plexiglass door I was appalled that the reason that the GE dishwashers are so quiet is that the washing spray is extremely gentle. The technician seemed very proud of how quiet the units are. I told him that I could get my dishes cleaner if I spread them on the lawn and used a water hose sprayer. He was not amused. I chatted with him and asked several questions and learned some interesting facts. The lower and upper spray arms and the top rain action do not all happen at once. First the lower arm sprays, the machine pauses, then the upper arm sprays, the machine pauses, then the top rain action happens. This cycles over and over until the machine thinks the dishes are clean. I asked why there wasn't a hurricane inside the unit scrubbing my dishes? He said that the motor is a DC motor, I asked how many volts, he said 12.

After he left I filled the machine up with dishes I had saved over the weekend for the test. The machine ran for 2 hours + (I forgot to write down the start time). The end result was nasty, dirty dishes that I washed in the sink afterward. So the new dishwasher looks just like the old dishwasher but let me tell you, she is not happy at having the worthless piece of junk sitting nearby and doing nothing while she is sweating over a sink full of dishes. When I'm not quite so angry in a few days I will have a conversation with Sears to try to resolve this.

Original review: May 17, 2017

This unit was purchased at Lowes on 11/22/16 and installed by our plumber shortly thereafter. It's not even 6 months old! It was poor at drying at first and then stopped drying altogether about a month ago. The GE Customer Service has sent a repairman here on 4 occasions in the past few weeks, sent faulty parts, including an element and a board (I'm guessing that they mean a motherboard) but it is still swimming in water. I've asked them to replace the dishwasher, to which they have refused. Yes we are irate, and rightly so. Whatever happened to quality manufacturing and decent customer service? I will never buy another GE product again. There should be lemon laws for appliances.

Now we are being informed that the "parts" are back ordered until September, but that they "might" be able to get them from California on or about the 25th. Their apologies mean nothing when they do not back it up by amending the situation in an appropriate manner. By the way it takes 256 minutes for a full cycle. The plus side is that it is very quiet, but I'm not sure how energy efficient a dishwasher can be that runs that blasted long. It doesn't clean very well either. If considering the dishwasher or another appliance, stay away from GE Is our recommendation.

Original review: May 16, 2017

We usually turn on the dishwasher in the night. Last month ours started smelling smoke in the morning 6:00 am. When checked, it was the dishwasher that melted couple of plastic cans and its own sprayer and other plastic parts (pictures speaks for itself). When checked with GE, this model was not under recall (there are other models with similar issues). They sent their technician, who confirmed that newer models has auto turnoff circuit. When I asked GE rep, both (level 1 and her manager) assured me that even though it shows it's burnt from inside, it would have contained the fire inside, which I disagree. Even after seeing pics, their tech review and the whole incident, their engineers determined this is not a safety hazard to me or my family.

Original review: April 16, 2017

We have had this GE dishwasher model GLD6760N00SS for about 9 years and it was fine, until a few nights ago!! We ran the dishwasher, unloaded it, closed the door and went out. When we returned about four hours later we were met in our apartment lobby by the building manager who informed us that we had a fire in our apartment. It started in the dishwasher, which was off, and destroyed the unit. Repairs will be costly due to fire restoration required as well as the need to now replace more than just a dishwasher. Soot covered the whole apartment, and left a need to get a new kitchen floor and repair/replace some cabinets. Be careful of this model from GE.

Resolution response: April 14, 2017

Update 4/14. GE finally conceded that the dishwasher is indeed broken last week, and set up a replacement unit to be delivered and installed. The company that delivered the new unit would not install it of course...why would they? So, we had to hire another place to install it. GE is supposed to reimburse us for the extra installation expense. I'm glad it is finally resolved, but man, oh man...what a headache.

Original review: March 28, 2017

My experience with GE consumer support continues to be exhausting. It is truly hard to understand how such a large company can be so incompetent at supporting their products. If anyone reading this is considering a GE appliance, I sincerely urge you to get a different brand. Here are the issues I've had, with a more detailed explanation for those who are interested below: Failure #1: Door switch --> 2 weeks, not fixed. Failure #2: Control Board --> 2 weeks, not fixed. Failure #3: Falsely claiming GE resolved problem. Failure #4: "scheduled service" not actually scheduled. Failure #5: "scheduled service" not actually scheduled.

Purchased a brand new dishwasher over a month ago. It worked 3 times before breaking. They sent out a repair service to take a look, they diagnosed the problem (door switch), ordered a new switch, and came back a week later to replace it. The dishwasher was still broken after the new switch. The next week a different repair place came out to diagnose the problem (control panel), another week to ship the part, and then changed the part. Still broken. GE then notified us that the problem was resolved and extended the warranty 6 months.

We called GE to ask for another repair service to come out since it was still broken, they said it was scheduled, but the repair service never came out. Since then, we have been told by GE that a repair service will come out on two separate dates, and they never came. After calling the service provider directly we found out that GE never notified them. It is currently scheduled for two weeks from now, upon which they will probably order a part, wait a week, and not fix it. So far, ~5 weeks, no solutions.

Original review: March 25, 2017

I purchased a GE dishwasher 1.5 years ago and it has been nothing but a problem since day one! The door will not stay latched and the dishwasher is perfectly level. You might get 1 or 2 washes in before you have to work on it again. We bought a set of appliances from GE and the stove and refrigerator have worked well. However this dishwasher is junk and I based on my experience I would not recommend this product to anyone!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

My GE Dishwasher is disintegrating. It's three years old and we didn't live here for a year of that time. The door where all the electronics just fell apart. I bought the most expensive GE Dishwasher I could find at that time because we wanted one that was quiet due to the way our house is laid out. We were able to put the door together again but the strip across the top never fit again so we taped it on. Model PDT750SSF1SS. The controls won't work.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

We have had our GE dishwasher model GDT580SMF5ES for only 1 year and a half. As I was closing the door the hooks that attached the outer shell/panel to the door broke. Unfortunately we didn't purchase extended warranty so this will not be covered. We have had two technicians from our home insurance coming in but we are not sure yet if the policy will cover the repair. I just cannot believe this is happening as we have barely used this dishwasher as it is only my husband and myself. All I can say is don't buy GE.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

We had purchased the first listed model of dishwasher (Model PTD7505SSF8SS) and installed it on Aug 27/16. It worked for a total of 13 days and broke down on Sept 9/16. After a good deal of phone tag - a technician looked at it and said no less than 3 internal components had failed, the unit needed to be replaced. We were without the unit from Sept 9/16 until Dec 23/17 when the new "replacement" unit (Model PTD845SSJOSS) was installed. It worked for a total of 20 days and broke down on Jan 12/17. More phone tag... Tech looked at it and found a number of issues (motherboard, door switch, etc...), in addition - it had been leaking water under the dishwasher for the time it was in service. (All 20 days! What a record!)

When a dishwasher leaks upstairs... It doesn't go well for the drywall ceiling downstairs. (The rep at GE was cold and calculated informing me "that is what insurance is for!") I'm not sure that is what someone who spent $1,699.00 for a GE product (in good faith of a reputable product) expects to be told by the individual who has the ability to make things right? At any rate, this is what you can expect from the trained professionals at GE. When they finally got around to looking at my file... They decided to simply replace the motherboard in the hopes it will fix the leak also.

I would have liked a refund at this point (not likely) so I requested yet another replacement (given the issue of water leaking), they absolutely refused. As of this date Feb 2/17 we are still without a dishwasher. Goes without saying - no more GE products will enter our home and I will share, with everyone I can, the caring and kind words of support I experienced from the top level at GE.

GE Washing Machines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Since it’s founding as the Edison Electric Light Company in 1878, GE has been a household name in appliances. The company's innovation keeps it at the forefront of home design with smart products and integrated technologies.

• Compact built-ins available: Where most dishwashers are 24 inches, GE offers a more compact size, at only 18 inches, which is great for small kitchens and apartments.

• Front or top controls: Depending on your countertops, you might not be able to easily use top controls on a dishwasher, so having the option of top or front controls makes finding the right machine easier.

• Portable dishwashers: GE's portable options allow you to get a dishwasher that you can take with you if you move. Also, with these dishwashers you don’t need a plumber to install it.

• Under-sink installations: To keep storage loss to a minimum, GE manufactures dishwashers that you can install directly under a sink or a cooktop.

• Guided tour to GE dishwashers: Use easy-to-navigate website resources to learn the pros and cons of each style so you can choose the one that works best for you.

• Best for: Apartment renters, homeowners and families