1.42/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

537 GE Dishwashers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

The dishwasher is new and looks great. However the dishes are not getting clean. After washing with a 200+ minute wash cycle utensils are still dirty and food particles are left on plates and bowls. This is occurring even with a good rinse prior to placing them into the dishwasher. I clean out the food particles filter after every two loads, makes no difference. Also the water bottle jets are a nice idea but water bottles are too tall to fit even with the third rack removed. I am very displeased with my purchase. This was not an inexpensive model.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

We purchased this GE dishwasher in October of 2017 when we built our house. Over the past few months we noticed our hardwood floors looking like they were rolling. This week we noticed a small amount of water seeping from under the cabinet. We pulled the dishwasher out and saw a very slow leak from a part of the dishwasher. Called GE and was told it was no longer under warranty. Explained leak has had to have been going on for months so should fall under warranty. Was told because we didn’t notice probably would not be. Sending tech which I will have to pay for to see if he can tell how long been leaking. More to come after visit. So far not happy.

Get expert buying tips about Dishwashers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I needed to save money. Lesson learned. This GE dishwasher has been serviced a couple of times in 6 years but the handle came off after about a year and a half. Guess what? The only way to get it back on is a service call. I've been gluing and taping it back on for years. I know it just looks terrible but who can afford a $150 service call for the handle? Not us. I was a KitchenAid loyalist and I'm going back. And once you find a service company you like, stick with them. These reviews with stories of horrible service departments and rude service calls are the WORST. There are good, honest, skilled workmen out there. Find them.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Bought a GE dishwasher that a service bulletin was generated by GE on a fault in their manufacturing. DD03-16 for reference. The door does not stay shut and continues to open. GE customer service suggested replacing hinges and brackets on the door. So I ordered the parts and changed them. It did not work. I called them back and they suggested purchasing and replacing additional parts. I called a local 3rd party and they provided the service bulletin and said that this is a problem in the design of these models. GE will not repair the problem.

The cost has been shifted to me or they suggest buying a new dishwasher for only $150 over retail. They are hiding behind a warranty that expired, but the problem started at time zero when it was made. This is garbage and I have been without a working unit and continuing to argue with them over the repair or replacement cost. Call if you have this problem because they have identified it and have a solution that they will not tell you about.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Updated on 12/30/2018: Again had GE up, said it was not the pump as they stated. Hired a plumber as they requested, pipe not blocked. Changed connections and now the machine has no power. Again have to call for repair. I am sure they will have to order a part or tell me to call an electrician. I am so done. Please beware. Do not buy. Still not been able to use my dishwasher going on 4 weeks and brand new.

Original Review: Purchased from Home Depot. I have had it for only one month used 4 times. The water did not drain. Called GE Repair. Guy came down, couldn’t figure out what was going on, said it must be the pump or it could be blocked. He went downstairs, could not find the pipe. Been there since 69...said he is going to order part. Waited 1 week. Then he calls me an hour before he was to be here. Mind you I took off work to be there. He said, “Did you have plumber to come in to see if there is a blockage and he needs to show you where the connection is?” Are you kidding me. I told him I am handicapped and having company for Christmas and I need it. He said he can’t come until I hire a plumber as he can’t find the dishwasher connections. Are you kidding?

I said, “Can you come and install the pump and if it doesn’t drain then I will call the plumber.” He said no as he can’t find the connection...I am going to put 150 to have a plumber come when I know it’s the pump not a blockage to have the plumber show me where the dishwasher is connected because the idiot can’t figure it out. I said I need it for Christmas. Nobody working until next Wednesday. Do not get a GE. Poor customer service and to break down a few weeks after purchasing is unacceptable. I had A Bosch for 6 years, never a problem. Plus the lower rack tracks already fell apart. I live by myself and does not get much use. I read the reviews and should have known. The only reason I purchased I needed the bisque color. BUYER BEWARE.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I purchased this dishwasher on April 2018 and from the beginning was not working well. I called a technician about 2 months ago, came with the computer and told me it is working fine, but my dishes are never well cleaned. Anyway on Nov 27, 2018 the water started coming out from my tiles and I didn't understand why? I kept drying and it kept dripping. I was so worried and called a handyman. He told me it is the dishwasher dripping water. All my cabinets, my tiles are wet inside.

I have called and report it and today a technician was coming to repair it (which I will not accept.) I want a peace of mind. I need a new working dishwasher. Today, the technician was supposed to call me before arriving and I was 5 minutes away and left. Now, your customer service reps are telling me to wait till Tuesday. I am having guests and my house is a mess, I have the dishwasher in the middle of my kitchen, everything is stinking to humidity and all happens because of this BAD PRODUCT. I want this trash to be exchange as soon as possible.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

We renovated our kitchen with all new GE Profile appliances in 2017 before moving into our new house in 2018. Nov 1, 2018 our GE Profile stopped working and showed a leak message. We called GE who referred us to A&E Factory Service. The repairman arrived Nov 6 and proceeded to not be able to pulled the dishwasher out and tell me the list of things he won't do because of policy. Without inspecting the dishwasher but looking at his computer with the list of things that could be wrong, he said he ordered two parts and would return on Nov 23.

Nov 23 came and no repairman. Calls were placed to GE Parts and Service who expressed their disappointment over the no show then proceeded to say that parts would not arrive before Nov 30 and that one of the parts was on back order. Once the parts came then another repair appt could be made. I will have been without a dishwasher for over a month with no alternative recourse. Service response and A&E Factory Service is less than poor.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

Bought brand new GE Profile DW PDT845SSJSS as part of four appliance package to be installed as part of kitchen renovation. Bought in April 2018, renovation delayed until August 2018, install of appliances October 2018, installer by contractor plumber- excellent seasoned experienced installer. Never used DW until moving things into new kitchen. Washed dishes off in DW before placing in cabinets. After 3rd cycle- DW stopped working stating leak detected - contact GE.

Are you kidding me? Brand new appliance! We had original installer come out- no leak- no visible water- we went to placed we purchased DW from - local place - Ray’s Appliances- asked for replacement DW. Was told we would have to pay for installation of 2nd DW at 225 charge. Are you kidding me? GE guy came out and did something to DW to fix it but said problem could return... Serious??? Well -DW worked for a few cycles- now displays leak detected again! Called GE and coming out 12/2. Ridiculous- I want a NEW DW with free installation! I’m paying @971 bucks for something that didn’t work from the outset!!!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

GE factory services uses rude, discriminatory, evasive, procrastinating and unethical business practices to limit customers from claiming warranty. We have a non functioning dishwasher which is under warranty. This came as part of the appliance package given to us by the builder (Hallmark Homes) when we bought the house in December 2017. When we contacted GE customer service to let them know that the dishwasher wont work, they gave us a date after 2 weeks for sending their service professional. After 2 weeks, their service professional came in and behaved in an extremely rude and racist manner shouting at the top of his voice for the inconvenience caused to him for coming to repair the appliance.

After connecting his computer to the appliance, he said it was fixed and left without even checking if the appliance was working correctly. Even after repeated requests to check the functioning of the device before leaving, he threatened to be physically violent if we still pestered him to stay. After he left, we realized that the dishwasher wasn't fixed when we ran a wash cycle. We again contacted the customer service to let them know that the issue isn't fixed and requested them to expedite things to get it fixed.

They said that we will get the next date for a service appointment again after two weeks and there is nothing they could do. After living the nightmare of washing dishes for more than a month, the same service professional came in again and repeating his similar rude, racist, unethical and threatening behavior left without fixing the issue. He said that GE appliance is not owned by GE anymore and hence nobody cared about what happens to the customers. He again passed the buck to the customer service and said I needed to take up this issue with them. In this whole back and fort, we are left devastated without having our dishwasher and living the nightmare for more than a month.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

We purchased several new GE appliances in August of 2016 as part of a kitchen renovation. We bought the GE Cafe series dishwasher CDT865SSJOSS. Within two weeks of use, the display stopped working. It took 3 weeks to get a technician out to fix display. Approximately 6 months later, we noticed the dishes were not as clean. Two months later the water stopped draining. Called a technician in, he diagnosed a broken pump. Parts would take 3 weeks and he would be out a week later. We are now over a month without a working dishwasher. He “fixes” the pump but says it isn’t draining great because your hose from your disposal is plugged (this hose drains to the same place as the dishwasher).

Hire a guy to unplug the drain ($140). It isn’t plugged. The whole house is clear. Have to Shopvac out the stagnant water from the dishwasher that smells like a corpse. Call our plumber to check the lines ($500). He discovers that the technician pushed in the washer and busted a line. We now have water damage through our floor and into a bedroom below. He confirms that the plumbing is all clear and also finds that the technician never reattached the pan to the bottom so water was hitting the sensor and activating the shut off for a leak.

Plumber fixes plumbing wrecked by technician, dries the sensor and attaches the pan. He advises that we run several cycles to flush out the stagnant water. If water still is not draining after several cycles, he advised that the new pump was faulty. Plumber leaves. We get 10 minutes into a cycle and the dishwasher stops for a leak again. I called GE hoping they would stand behind their product that we have now had for 2 years and have used less than a year. GE does not stand behind their products. The only thing they will do is send out a technician that you have to pay $100 for and they can’t guarantee that you won’t get the same technician who has come out 3 times and cost us more money due to his negligence. In May, we will be putting their terrible product out on our curb for city wide garbage collection. You no longer get what you pay for with GE. Do not buy their products!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

We bought a new GE dishwasher Model # GDT655SGJ4WW. Did not work right out of the box, had service guy come and control board was bad! Really brand new dishwasher, 2 weeks to get that fixed, now the soap dispenser door won't stay closed, order part, what's next? Contacted GE about it, waste of time, no quality control and they don't stand behind their product! Stay away from GE, last appliance for me!!!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Bought a PDT845SSJ2SS in June. Two months later, it has a leak. Good news, has a leak detector which shuts down the machine. Bad news is that it leaks and the leak detector worked! Called GE. "We don't have an authorized service technician in your area. We will get back to you within 3-5 days." Three days later, after I had raised rain with my appliance dealer, he arranged for a local dealer to come look at the machine. Scheduled that appointment - it was Friday, and "We only come to your area on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Next Tuesday is booked, so we will try for Friday." Then, someone from an organization called Platinum Services calls and says GE has assigned the ticket to them. She's going to try to schedule a diagnostic appointment in the next 7-10 BUSINESS days. Told her to forget it (found out she was calling from Lowe's and had to find a technician before she could schedule.) End of week 1.

Following week, someone else from GE calls and asks if I was cancelling my service request. In the course of the conversation, she asks to confirm the model GE RANGE that I have. Kinda lost it on her... On Thursday serviceman from local dealer comes. Turns on the dishwasher - it leaks exactly where I had said it would. Need to order a part and GE will not expedite. End of week 2. Next week - crickets. Nothing, Nada, mushroom mode (in the dark and being fed BS). Called my appliance dealer today and told him to come pick up the dishwasher - says he cannot do that.

I explained, “I will forfeit the money I paid - I don't want a dishwasher that leaks in the first two months of use.” He tell me GE "released" the part yesterday...whatever THAT means and he HOPES repairman will come next Tuesday to repair. So, I have had a new GE dishwasher for 3 months and it has only worked for 2. Be aware! I assume partial responsibility for this goat rope - I faithfully refer to Consumer Reports when purchasing appliances and electronics. I suggest you do the same... you will find GE listed AFTER BOSCH, KITCHENAID, KENMORE and others. Also, realize the GE brand is now a CHINESE company. Caveat Emptor!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

The model we have is a PDT760SSFOSS. I like the features this machine provides and it does a great job of cleaning WHEN IT WORKS. Hence that is the problem. I have owned it 4 years and I have fixed it 3 times. It is now broken (a 4th time). GE isn't very helpful and their parts are grossly overpriced when comparing a similar part with other brands. My conclusion about GE is stay away! I am hoping to find here a review of the absolute best DW.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Just purchased a home with GE Appliances. Dishwasher suddenly won't start and showing "1H" code. Nothing in the user manual that explains what this means. Called customer support. After they requested unnecessary personal information (like email address, physical address, etc.), I was finally able to ask what this code meant. She went straight to, "We are unable to provide that information over the phone. We have to send one of our service technicians out to your home." She refused to tell me what the code meant, and instantly wanted to charge me for tech visit. I hung up. Then I googled it, and found out right away that it meant the start was paused/delayed for 1 hour. I had hit the delay button by mistake. This was not specified in the manual under "Delay Start", nor was customer support trained or willing to provide the answer to such a simple question. GE Support is just a Scam.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Their service department is absolutely terrible. The motherboard went out after only 8 months of use. They never notified the appliance repair company that the part was back ordered (I had to follow-up on that) and every step of the way I kept being told "someone will follow-up in 2-3 business days". No one ever followed up with me, I had to call to check on the status of my claim EVERY time. The request for a replacement dishwasher after two weeks was denied because the part was going to be available in another week, but then I wouldn't receive the part for a minimum of another week after that. When I asked to speak to a superior she refused and told me no one was available. After demanding to speak to one I was told they would contact me in ANOTHER 2-3 business days (we'll see if that ever happens). This is (still going on) an absolutely awful service experience. I don't care that the dishwasher broke, I care that they've handled it so poorly.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Model GDF520PSJ0SS. After the first year of ownership the plastic on the bottom rack began to melt where the pots and pans touched the prongs. Then the exposed metal underneath began to corrode. Now after owning it 18 months, several prongs have broken off. This is now beginning to happen on the top rack as well. I ordered a replacement bottom rack for a little over $100. Interestingly, it was on backorder, but did not have a recall. I registered a complaint, but all they said was to call back when I needed to replace the top rack, and they’d see about giving me a discount.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I have had two service calls on this dishwasher (Model Number GDT65SMJ0ES) and it is 18 months old. The first was to replace the heating element, which was under warranty. The recent problem was a cut-off switch that will trip when needed. The technician hooked up his computer to turn it back on, a very quick procedure, and it cost us almost $100. This unit should have a trip switch like a vacuum or garbage disposal so that the owner can do it themselves. After that, if the dishwasher still doesn't work, then a call for repair could be made. By the way, the repairman was very nice and respectful to us.

Original review: April 25, 2018

GE Profile dishwasher - model # PWD8280N00SS - Appears that moisture got between the exterior panel and door that houses that main board. Because of the moisture caused a short that melted the main board, with harness and the ribbon from the on/off panel that connects into the main board. Luckily I was home at the time or this could have caused a significant fire damage in my kitchen.

Original review: April 20, 2018

We bought the GE dishwasher from Lowe's 3 years ago and have had it serviced 3 times! The water pump went the first year and now the drain pump! Love the coloring Slate but very poor quality. Will not purchase GE products again.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I purchased a GE dishwasher on March 15th 2018... The first dishwasher I received on March 23rd was obviously broken. The dishwasher setting piece was completely broken off and the sides were dented and looked like it had been dropped. Ok. The delivery guys immediately called it in and reordered another one for me. A week later the second dishwasher came, it looked fine from the outside so I signed for it. Once I opened it I saw that the top rack was missing wheels and the second shelf wasn't even connected to the dishwasher. I called and a week later they came and got it and left a new one. I asked the delivery guys to unpackage it and look inside. Immediately the top arm cycle fell off and the HE symbol at the bottom popped out. They assured me that was normal...

When the install guy arrived a week later he said he thought everything looked ok. He ran a cycle, then left. Before he was out of my driveway the cycle arm/water sprayer fell off and water sprayed everywhere... I brought the piece into Home Depot and they told me it was broken (duh) and they would order a new one. NO. This was going to be the fourth time I will be taking off work to deal with this dishwasher! GE is absolutely gone down. The products being produced are either being sabotaged by the employees from the Ohio plant, who are all losing their jobs because the plant is about to get shut down and is going to be moved to Mexico or GE is absolutely horrible at business, design and producing quality appliances.

Regardless, I will NEVER purchase a GE product again and would never recommend to anyone to purchase a GE appliance! I am going to get a refund and insist compensation and inconvenience fees! I had to take off work 4 Times, had to cancel plumbers 3 times (still was charged). I lost money from my work, time from life and a month without a dishwasher. Also, a month with a broken one sitting in my living room because they wouldn't come get the 2nd and 3rd broken dishwashers until a I ordered another one and had that one delivered before they got the broke one(s) out of my house. I had broken dishwashers sitting in my living room for a month. Easter was quite embarrassing with an appliance next to the table to say the least. DO NOT PURCHASE GE APPLIANCES!!!

Original review: April 8, 2018

Bought a GE Dishwasher on March 31st 2017. Used it in April & May, left June 1st for the summer so dishwasher was not used for 2 mo. Tried to use it in August when we got back it didn't work. Would not pump water. Called GE. They sent a service tech. out, replaced the pump, still didn't work. So next week they came out again & this time ordered a Computer board. Ever since then they have came out twice a month to repair dishwasher. Always something different. I requested 3 different times to have it replaced they refused. So I straight up asked if they were just trying to run me out of warranty & then drop me. Well, guess what - they came out for the last time on 4/5/2018 to repair it for the last time out of warranty. They turned me down every time to just replace it. WORST PRODUCT EVER. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER, POOR POOR POOR.

Original review: April 7, 2018

VRBO is absolutely worthless. Searching for properties to rent in Nashville. Property 1 - Credit card declined, used another card, declined, Fiancee used her card and got an email of confirmation (wth)... then within the hour it got declined. Property 2 - Paid and confirmed with credit card, had to wait 24 hours and owner never approved the stay. Property 3 - Paid and confirmed with credit card, had to wait 24 hours and owner never approved the stay again! This is the epitome of absolute timewasting and mental frustration. SO, I use VRBO to find properties and then do a search on that particular property and book them through the property itself. It amazes me how a company like this can exist.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

The dishwasher is poor quality. Top is thin, top dish rack has trouble with tall glasses. Bottom rack doesn't slide in and out well. The power cord and water cords are too short. They are 2 ft shorter than our previous model dishwasher. Top was loose when delivered and had the wrong screw in one of the holes. The hose and cords are difficult to hook up because they are so short. We can't fit as many dishes in as our previous model of the same size and the unbiased reviewers are saying its washing quality is poor. We haven't had it long and hate it. Home Depot won't take returns on portable dishwashers though. Out lots of money on this. This GE is thin plastic trash that costs lots of money with no return.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Bought at Lowe's (GE Slate GDT655SMJES Dishwasher). Even bought the extended warranty. Leaked and buckled the floor while it was under GE warranty on December 12. Had to file with our homeowner's insurance to get entire floor replaced, $1000 deductible, twice. They have been out 5 times and still not fixed. Now the new flooring is damaged from same leak. After nearly $5,000 of damages, not to mention the time we have spent you would think a new $700 dishwasher would be cheaper. We bought the refrigerator, double oven, convection stove and dishwasher, matching. At this point seriously considering buying a different brand of dishwasher even though it won't match the slate. Never will we buy GE again, they don't stand behind their product, disappointed in Lowe's as well for passing the buck.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Purchased new from Lowe's. Dishwasher leaked starting less than a month after purchase. I have had it serviced 3 times since purchase and have another appointment scheduled. (It takes 2-4 weeks to get a tech out to your house). Currently they say he is going to come by on Tues and check to see which part to order next and then they will come back and work on the dishwasher when the part comes in. (Of course the dishwasher is leaking as I wait). They give a 8-5 service window so I will just have to sit here and wait on him to come by and decide what to order. This is pathetic. When you buy a new GE appliance you need to be aware that they literally do not have any program for replacing flawed appliances.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I am happy with the size quality of service. Gets dishes clean. No spots, not loud thus all awesome job. Recommendations to all my friends. I'm very satisfied with the machine.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I have a GE dishwasher that shut itself off after three uses. It was rebooted by a repairman, and worked once. GE repairman called to let me know and I was originally scheduled for today but have been canceled. I’m taking the day off but for nothing. There’s no number to call. There’s no one to complain to. JCPenney is not standing by their merchandise because I did not buy an extended warranty. Originally purchased in November 2017. The machine was replaced by GE in December 2017. I have a dishwasher that I paid over $500 for and I’ve used it four times.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Getting great service out of it. GE Dishwasher is a good unit for the money. It's does a really good job when loaded properly. I did just extend the warranty for another year. I am very happy with it.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

My GE dishwasher is 34 years old and it still cleans every dish, pot, pan and silver spotlessly. It has never needed a repair and the racks are in near perfect condition.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

First off: GE doesn't make some parts for this model anymore. The unit is large compared to many others; the upper tray provides adjustable height; one of the set of "spikes" in the upper tray rusted out because of inadequate plastic coating, and no replacement was available from GE; the control panel on the top edge of the door failed within warranty period and was replaced free; the holes in the rotating arms that spew water upwards onto the dishes must be cleaned with tweezers to remove bits of paper from labels. Those are all the negatives. The positives are that it is very quiet; a cycle takes about an hour; it cleans dishes well so long as they are not hidden from the water jets; pre-rinsing can help but is not necessary. I would buy it again.

GE Washing Machines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Since it’s founding as the Edison Electric Light Company in 1878, GE has been a household name in appliances. The company's innovation keeps it at the forefront of home design with smart products and integrated technologies.

• Compact built-ins available: Where most dishwashers are 24 inches, GE offers a more compact size, at only 18 inches, which is great for small kitchens and apartments.

• Front or top controls: Depending on your countertops, you might not be able to easily use top controls on a dishwasher, so having the option of top or front controls makes finding the right machine easier.

• Portable dishwashers: GE's portable options allow you to get a dishwasher that you can take with you if you move. Also, with these dishwashers you don’t need a plumber to install it.

• Under-sink installations: To keep storage loss to a minimum, GE manufactures dishwashers that you can install directly under a sink or a cooktop.

• Guided tour to GE dishwashers: Use easy-to-navigate website resources to learn the pros and cons of each style so you can choose the one that works best for you.

• Best for: Apartment renters, homeowners and families