2.02/5
Based on 41 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

524 GE Dishwashers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Just purchased a home with GE Appliances. Dishwasher suddenly won't start and showing "1H" code. Nothing in the user manual that explains what this means. Called customer support. After they requested unnecessary personal information (like email address, physical address, etc.), I was finally able to ask what this code meant. She went straight to, "We are unable to provide that information over the phone. We have to send one of our service technicians out to your home." She refused to tell me what the code meant, and instantly wanted to charge me for tech visit. I hung up. Then I googled it, and found out right away that it meant the start was paused/delayed for 1 hour. I had hit the delay button by mistake. This was not specified in the manual under "Delay Start", nor was customer support trained or willing to provide the answer to such a simple question. GE Support is just a Scam.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Their service department is absolutely terrible. The motherboard went out after only 8 months of use. They never notified the appliance repair company that the part was back ordered (I had to follow-up on that) and every step of the way I kept being told "someone will follow-up in 2-3 business days". No one ever followed up with me, I had to call to check on the status of my claim EVERY time. The request for a replacement dishwasher after two weeks was denied because the part was going to be available in another week, but then I wouldn't receive the part for a minimum of another week after that. When I asked to speak to a superior she refused and told me no one was available. After demanding to speak to one I was told they would contact me in ANOTHER 2-3 business days (we'll see if that ever happens). This is (still going on) an absolutely awful service experience. I don't care that the dishwasher broke, I care that they've handled it so poorly.

Get expert buying tips about Dishwashers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Model GDF520PSJ0SS. After the first year of ownership the plastic on the bottom rack began to melt where the pots and pans touched the prongs. Then the exposed metal underneath began to corrode. Now after owning it 18 months, several prongs have broken off. This is now beginning to happen on the top rack as well. I ordered a replacement bottom rack for a little over $100. Interestingly, it was on backorder, but did not have a recall. I registered a complaint, but all they said was to call back when I needed to replace the top rack, and they’d see about giving me a discount.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I have had two service calls on this dishwasher (Model Number GDT65SMJ0ES) and it is 18 months old. The first was to replace the heating element, which was under warranty. The recent problem was a cut-off switch that will trip when needed. The technician hooked up his computer to turn it back on, a very quick procedure, and it cost us almost $100. This unit should have a trip switch like a vacuum or garbage disposal so that the owner can do it themselves. After that, if the dishwasher still doesn't work, then a call for repair could be made. By the way, the repairman was very nice and respectful to us.

Original review: April 25, 2018

GE Profile dishwasher - model # PWD8280N00SS - Appears that moisture got between the exterior panel and door that houses that main board. Because of the moisture caused a short that melted the main board, with harness and the ribbon from the on/off panel that connects into the main board. Luckily I was home at the time or this could have caused a significant fire damage in my kitchen.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: April 20, 2018

We bought the GE dishwasher from Lowe's 3 years ago and have had it serviced 3 times! The water pump went the first year and now the drain pump! Love the coloring Slate but very poor quality. Will not purchase GE products again.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I purchased a GE dishwasher on March 15th 2018... The first dishwasher I received on March 23rd was obviously broken. The dishwasher setting piece was completely broken off and the sides were dented and looked like it had been dropped. Ok. The delivery guys immediately called it in and reordered another one for me. A week later the second dishwasher came, it looked fine from the outside so I signed for it. Once I opened it I saw that the top rack was missing wheels and the second shelf wasn't even connected to the dishwasher. I called and a week later they came and got it and left a new one. I asked the delivery guys to unpackage it and look inside. Immediately the top arm cycle fell off and the HE symbol at the bottom popped out. They assured me that was normal...

When the install guy arrived a week later he said he thought everything looked ok. He ran a cycle, then left. Before he was out of my driveway the cycle arm/water sprayer fell off and water sprayed everywhere... I brought the piece into Home Depot and they told me it was broken (duh) and they would order a new one. NO. This was going to be the fourth time I will be taking off work to deal with this dishwasher! GE is absolutely gone down. The products being produced are either being sabotaged by the employees from the Ohio plant, who are all losing their jobs because the plant is about to get shut down and is going to be moved to Mexico or GE is absolutely horrible at business, design and producing quality appliances.

Regardless, I will NEVER purchase a GE product again and would never recommend to anyone to purchase a GE appliance! I am going to get a refund and insist compensation and inconvenience fees! I had to take off work 4 Times, had to cancel plumbers 3 times (still was charged). I lost money from my work, time from life and a month without a dishwasher. Also, a month with a broken one sitting in my living room because they wouldn't come get the 2nd and 3rd broken dishwashers until a I ordered another one and had that one delivered before they got the broke one(s) out of my house. I had broken dishwashers sitting in my living room for a month. Easter was quite embarrassing with an appliance next to the table to say the least. DO NOT PURCHASE GE APPLIANCES!!!

Original review: April 8, 2018

Bought a GE Dishwasher on March 31st 2017. Used it in April & May, left June 1st for the summer so dishwasher was not used for 2 mo. Tried to use it in August when we got back it didn't work. Would not pump water. Called GE. They sent a service tech. out, replaced the pump, still didn't work. So next week they came out again & this time ordered a Computer board. Ever since then they have came out twice a month to repair dishwasher. Always something different. I requested 3 different times to have it replaced they refused. So I straight up asked if they were just trying to run me out of warranty & then drop me. Well, guess what - they came out for the last time on 4/5/2018 to repair it for the last time out of warranty. They turned me down every time to just replace it. WORST PRODUCT EVER. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER, POOR POOR POOR.

Original review: April 7, 2018

VRBO is absolutely worthless. Searching for properties to rent in Nashville. Property 1 - Credit card declined, used another card, declined, Fiancee used her card and got an email of confirmation (wth)... then within the hour it got declined. Property 2 - Paid and confirmed with credit card, had to wait 24 hours and owner never approved the stay. Property 3 - Paid and confirmed with credit card, had to wait 24 hours and owner never approved the stay again! This is the epitome of absolute timewasting and mental frustration. SO, I use VRBO to find properties and then do a search on that particular property and book them through the property itself. It amazes me how a company like this can exist.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

The dishwasher is poor quality. Top is thin, top dish rack has trouble with tall glasses. Bottom rack doesn't slide in and out well. The power cord and water cords are too short. They are 2 ft shorter than our previous model dishwasher. Top was loose when delivered and had the wrong screw in one of the holes. The hose and cords are difficult to hook up because they are so short. We can't fit as many dishes in as our previous model of the same size and the unbiased reviewers are saying its washing quality is poor. We haven't had it long and hate it. Home Depot won't take returns on portable dishwashers though. Out lots of money on this. This GE is thin plastic trash that costs lots of money with no return.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Bought at Lowe's (GE Slate GDT655SMJES Dishwasher). Even bought the extended warranty. Leaked and buckled the floor while it was under GE warranty on December 12. Had to file with our homeowner's insurance to get entire floor replaced, $1000 deductible, twice. They have been out 5 times and still not fixed. Now the new flooring is damaged from same leak. After nearly $5,000 of damages, not to mention the time we have spent you would think a new $700 dishwasher would be cheaper. We bought the refrigerator, double oven, convection stove and dishwasher, matching. At this point seriously considering buying a different brand of dishwasher even though it won't match the slate. Never will we buy GE again, they don't stand behind their product, disappointed in Lowe's as well for passing the buck.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Purchased new from Lowe's. Dishwasher leaked starting less than a month after purchase. I have had it serviced 3 times since purchase and have another appointment scheduled. (It takes 2-4 weeks to get a tech out to your house). Currently they say he is going to come by on Tues and check to see which part to order next and then they will come back and work on the dishwasher when the part comes in. (Of course the dishwasher is leaking as I wait). They give a 8-5 service window so I will just have to sit here and wait on him to come by and decide what to order. This is pathetic. When you buy a new GE appliance you need to be aware that they literally do not have any program for replacing flawed appliances.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I am happy with the size quality of service. Gets dishes clean. No spots, not loud thus all awesome job. Recommendations to all my friends. I'm very satisfied with the machine.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I have a GE dishwasher that shut itself off after three uses. It was rebooted by a repairman, and worked once. GE repairman called to let me know and I was originally scheduled for today but have been canceled. I’m taking the day off but for nothing. There’s no number to call. There’s no one to complain to. JCPenney is not standing by their merchandise because I did not buy an extended warranty. Originally purchased in November 2017. The machine was replaced by GE in December 2017. I have a dishwasher that I paid over $500 for and I’ve used it four times.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Getting great service out of it. GE Dishwasher is a good unit for the money. It's does a really good job when loaded properly. I did just extend the warranty for another year. I am very happy with it.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

My GE dishwasher is 34 years old and it still cleans every dish, pot, pan and silver spotlessly. It has never needed a repair and the racks are in near perfect condition.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

First off: GE doesn't make some parts for this model anymore. The unit is large compared to many others; the upper tray provides adjustable height; one of the set of "spikes" in the upper tray rusted out because of inadequate plastic coating, and no replacement was available from GE; the control panel on the top edge of the door failed within warranty period and was replaced free; the holes in the rotating arms that spew water upwards onto the dishes must be cleaned with tweezers to remove bits of paper from labels. Those are all the negatives. The positives are that it is very quiet; a cycle takes about an hour; it cleans dishes well so long as they are not hidden from the water jets; pre-rinsing can help but is not necessary. I would buy it again.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

The wheels to roll tray in and out comes off sometimes, other than it's fine, average wash cycle. Doesn't really clean heavy food off dishes so have clean first then put in dishwasher.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

The one thing I would change on this model is a top rack sprayer. The rack sizes are nice. The bottom rack holds pots and pans well, but top rack dishes need a good pre rinse before washing.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I will never purchase GE appliances again, have trouble with refrigerator/stove & dishwasher. Dishwasher is so loud that you can't be in the kitchen when it's on so I only use it at night. It doesn't clean good & everything about it is wrong!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

We bought a GE dishwasher after owning a KitchenAid. The GE is quieter, washes better, takes longer, but it doesn't really matter. I use Quantum tablets and everything is always clean when we are done.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

GE Dishwaser Model # GDT580SMF2ES - My husband and I purchased an entire suite of GE Slate appliances in 2015 when we built our custom home. We purchased the refrigerator, glass-top range, range hood microwave, and dishwasher. We have experienced problems with the refrigerator Model # GFE28HMHCES twice. A horrible rumbling sound, which they came out and repaired promptly. However, more upsetting is the constant problems we have experienced with the dishwasher. The door gasket broke, which we were informed was not covered under warranty, and most recently the dishwasher stop cleaning and will no longer dry. We have done everything to rectify or repair the situation ourselves, and since it is no longer under warranty, we are left with an appliance that we either spend more money on to repair or toss and buy a new one. NEVER AGAIN WILL WE BUY GE!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I bought my GE DISHWASHER many years ago. Only use once in a while because there are just 2 of us in the house and it takes too long to fill it, but when I do use it it work fine.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

My dishwasher is a GE Profile. It is as quiet as a Bosch we had in another home we had but it must cost half as much. We have it 8 years now- no problems. Never had a service call or anything wrong with it. It owes us nothing.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Dishwasher is very loud. Even on the longest setting, it doesn't get the dishes clean. The rack system, both top and bottom, isn't set up to handle a lot of items. Very poor quality and design.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Very easy to load. Controls are easy to read. Very quiet operating and does an excellent job cleaning utensils and all pot and pans. Have used for 8 years with no issues.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

GE had a recall but only gives you 50.00$ to replace it or fix it. We could not afford a new dishwasher. I talked to GE and they were no help at all. So we still use this machine but we do not run it unless we are home. This was the machine that would catch fire.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I have owned it for fifteen years and never needed to have it serviced. It doesn't have a lot of the bells & whistles but it was one of the Better ones when I purchased it. Still does a good job.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

My GE dishwasher is very quiet. It is a decent dishwasher and have had no problems with it in 14 years. I do sometimes have a problem getting it to reset to start at the beginning of the cycle, but it finally does. Other than that, it is fine.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

We bought Cafe series appliances less than 4 years ago including dishwasher, fridge, stove and microwave. These are not cheap appliances. We also bought a service contract with them. When our dishwasher broke a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving, we called service to have it looked at. After 3 trips and over a month later the dishwasher is still not fixed. Each time we tried to make an appointment we were always given a date 1 week out and a 4 hour time window, but each time the technicians showed up late and once even 3 hours late despite the 4 hour window. The fact that after so many visits and part replacement the dishwasher is still broken says a lot about the quality of the product and its maintainability. All customer representatives work like zombies. The problem with GE lies within the culture. Nobody cares. The service contract is a total waste money.

GE Washing Machines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Since it’s founding as the Edison Electric Light Company in 1878, GE has been a household name in appliances. The company's innovation keeps it at the forefront of home design with smart products and integrated technologies.

• Compact built-ins available: Where most dishwashers are 24 inches, GE offers a more compact size, at only 18 inches, which is great for small kitchens and apartments.

• Front or top controls: Depending on your countertops, you might not be able to easily use top controls on a dishwasher, so having the option of top or front controls makes finding the right machine easier.

• Portable dishwashers: GE's portable options allow you to get a dishwasher that you can take with you if you move. Also, with these dishwashers you don’t need a plumber to install it.

• Under-sink installations: To keep storage loss to a minimum, GE manufactures dishwashers that you can install directly under a sink or a cooktop.

• Guided tour to GE dishwashers: Use easy-to-navigate website resources to learn the pros and cons of each style so you can choose the one that works best for you.

• Best for: Apartment renters, homeowners and families

Ticker Symbol:
GE
www.ge.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business