GE Dishwashers

Compare Dishwashers

Research top Dishwashers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My GE Dishwasher is disintegrating. It's three years old and we didn't live here for a year of that time. The door where all the electronics just fell apart. I bought the most expensive GE Dishwasher I could find at that time because we wanted one that was quiet due to the way our house is laid out. We were able to put the door together again but the strip across the top never fit again so we taped it on. Model PDT750SSF1SS. The controls won't work.

We have had our GE dishwasher model GDT580SMF5ES for only 1 year and a half. As I was closing the door the hooks that attached the outer shell/panel to the door broke. Unfortunately we didn't purchase extended warranty so this will not be covered. We have had two technicians from our home insurance coming in but we are not sure yet if the policy will cover the repair. I just cannot believe this is happening as we have barely used this dishwasher as it is only my husband and myself. All I can say is don't buy GE.

We had purchased the first listed model of dishwasher (Model PTD7505SSF8SS) and installed it on Aug 27/16. It worked for a total of 13 days and broke down on Sept 9/16. After a good deal of phone tag - a technician looked at it and said no less than 3 internal components had failed, the unit needed to be replaced. We were without the unit from Sept 9/16 until Dec 23/17 when the new "replacement" unit (Model PTD845SSJOSS) was installed. It worked for a total of 20 days and broke down on Jan 12/17. More phone tag... Tech looked at it and found a number of issues (motherboard, door switch, etc...), in addition - it had been leaking water under the dishwasher for the time it was in service. (All 20 days! What a record!)

When a dishwasher leaks upstairs... It doesn't go well for the drywall ceiling downstairs. (The rep at GE was cold and calculated informing me "that is what insurance is for!") I'm not sure that is what someone who spent $1,699.00 for a GE product (in good faith of a reputable product) expects to be told by the individual who has the ability to make things right? At any rate, this is what you can expect from the trained professionals at GE. When they finally got around to looking at my file... They decided to simply replace the motherboard in the hopes it will fix the leak also.

I would have liked a refund at this point (not likely) so I requested yet another replacement (given the issue of water leaking), they absolutely refused. As of this date Feb 2/17 we are still without a dishwasher. Goes without saying - no more GE products will enter our home and I will share, with everyone I can, the caring and kind words of support I experienced from the top level at GE.

We recently purchased our second dishwasher in 16+ years (the other one (a Kenmore) is still running fabulously but staying with the sale of our former home - however I am tempted to swap it out with this new one from GE). This beautiful inside and out dishwasher has a couple main flaws that has me wanting my old dishwasher back. The buttons on the front are super sensitive, causing it to come on countless times a day as we get items out of cabinet above. This is not something we thought about. Our old one had the controls on the front but they were under plastic that you pushed... not actual buttons like this one.

The second issue is minor. The rack on the bottom is set up very wide on one side and our dinner plates are smaller than some and they do not sit firmly in between the tines. The spacing is great for larger plates or serving items but not for medium size plates. We use a lot of bowls so the other side with closer together tines is always full. Like I said just a minor flaw. Lastly, the unit puts off a high-pitched sound during certain parts of the cycle. It is not really loud but it is bothersome if we are still in the kitchen when it is running.

SOLVED: PDW9980L00SS GE Profile Dishwasher not cleaning dishes. The rubberized "sump" of this dishwasher suffers from "chemical deterioration". In our case the deterioration allowed waste water to bypass a check valve and return into the wash water. Dishes don't come out clean and the spray wands get plugged up with bits of waste. The solution is to replace the sump. If you're handy with tools it's an easy DIY job which requires pulling out the dishwasher and turning it on its side for access to the sump. Lots of videos online re the process and for safety start by shutting off the circuit breaker for the dishwasher power. For our model the new sump part number WG01L00289 replaces the original WD18X10026. Dishes & glasses now sparkle. Hope this helps as there was lots of frustration on this end before replacing the sump seen in the photo.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

PDT845SMJES - I purchased the entire GE Profile series when we remodeled our kitchen in October 2016. The first time I started the dishwasher, it leaked out the bottom of the door. The store where I purchased it sent out a plumber who discovered the soap dispenser was missing the seal. Took a week to order and replace the seal. Worked fine for 5 weeks. Then, on December 17, 2016, it quit mid cycle and I got the "leak detected" error message. Now I am in dishwasher hell. The store where I bought it said they were too busy to come and check it, so they told me to call GE's customer service number. GE sent out a plumber from Iowa (I live in SD). He removed the bottom panel, to look underneath and decided it needed a new pump and also a new soap dispenser part.

That was on back order, so I had to wait until January 11, 2017 for him to come back. When he pulled out the dishwasher to replace the pump, he discovered the tub was leaking along the left side. He said the unit could not be fixed and suggested I call the store where I originally purchased it. They agreed the unit could not be fixed and contacted GE and got me a case number and said GE would call me by the end of the week. I'm still waiting for that call. Do NOT buy this model GE dishwasher. GE apparently doesn't stand behind its products and the stores that sell GE are helpless to do anything for you.

Emptying out the dishwasher I purchased in October 2016 is a cause for rage these days. Dishes, glasses, silverware, etc...come out of any wash cycle dirtier than they went in, though I have tried everything I can think of to see if anything at all can make it better. I purchased the dishwasher from BEST BUY. Little did I know, they don't take anything back after 15 days of purchase. They promptly referred me to GE. In turn GE reps said that their warranty only covers REPAIRS for the first year. In short, sucker me who spent near to $600, is stuck with a VERY BAD product from the moment I paid for it. And there is nothing I can do about it!!! GE IS CLEARLY SCAMMING ITS TRUSTING CUSTOMERS!!! I have been robbed!!!

I purchased a dishwasher from GE 3 months ago and it broke, just stopped working. I called GE. After being on hold for an hour, they scheduled a repair call with At Bay Appliance, gave me a confirmation number and everything. AT BAY dispatch says they never received it and cannot schedule an appointment with me, I have to go through GE. I took the day off of work for this repair!

I called GE again and was told to call Consumer Relations who apologized and scheduled a second call with AT BAY, apparently the only company who can repair in the SF Bay Area. Guess what? They say they never received the repair order and that I have to call GE. Again, I took a day off for this repair. What is this? I've never experienced such poor service in my life.

I guess my GE Profile dishwasher is a lemon. Sounds like it from all the other reviews. Same deal - purchased it in July of 2016 and by October 2016 it went out. Technician that was sent told me it was the electric and I needed to have an electrician fix the fuse. Electrician came out and said it had electric, that it was the dishwasher that failed. Next technician fixed it and said the electronic panels "get confused." Three days off of work. December, 2016 the dishwasher failed again. Had no dishwasher throughout the holidays. They scheduled service technician and then cancelled because the one technician they had was out sick.

Today, January 9th, they called to let us know they were on the way, but never called the number they were supposed to, so now we are totally taken off the schedule. I've been on hold and disconnected three times and now have been on hold for one hour and 6 minutes. DON'T BUY GE APPLIANCES - Terrible service and crappy appliances that don't work. This is really sickening since I have ALWAYS used GE appliances.

I purchased a GE Dishwasher 3 months ago and it has been broke (won't drain) for almost a month. I tried to schedule a service through GE since it is under the warranty and they never showed up for the second time. I called and complained but it is not just the product, their service is even worst than the product. I am going to take the unit to Home Depot and ask for a refund or exchange with another brand. It is suppose to be brand new and won't drain or can we get a service scheduled. Never buying this brand again.

I wish I had seen this site first. I purchased a dishwasher. It didn't even make it 6 months. Took a month to fix and then 3 months later broke right before Thanksgiving. It is now Friday before Christmas still not fixed. GE is closed. The repairman and GE both lie and said it would be fixed before Christmas. Do not purchase anything GE. They do not stand behind their products. The products are poorly made and don't last. I've had several dishwashers over the years. This is the first GE and it will be the last. You will have to wait over an hour for on hold to reach anyone and even then they just don't care. Save your money. Buy a didn't brand.

Have a GE dishwasher put into operation June 2016 (new home). In Oct 2016 we noticed a leak and a serviceman came out and identified a loose soap dispenser - tightened it. Next time we used it, leaked as before. Same serviceman came again, this time replaced both the main seal & spinning water distribution wand assembly. Again, the unit leaked and on Dec 14th same serviceman replaced the soap dispenser. Before he got too far down the road, we called as the unit again leaked. He blamed it on excessive soap suds - which he removed manually. Following his departure, we again experienced a leak. Same serviceman returned on Dec 15th. After review, he advised us the DW would be replaced and we should get a call within 48 hrs to arrange.

On Dec 17th (still no followup from GE) the DW leaked again - we video this time. On Dec 19th called customer relations and after much discussion it was apparent GE has NO CLUE what the heck they are doing. ONE MORE repair trip was scheduled - this time they would replace the inside and outside panel! We are fortunate to be retired otherwise this repair process would have cost us about $2000 so far! How idiotic is GE?? How much have they spent to avoid replacing this unit? Believe me this is the LAST GE appliance we buy from them. Don't know how they stay in business. We are awaiting the panel repair guy as of this writing. Will update once this service has been completed.

About a year and a half ago, I bought a GE Profile dishwasher from a very reputable local dealer. Within 3 months, the digital control panel failed. Because it was still under warranty, the dealer replaced the panel. It failed again. This time they made other adjustments, it continued to fail. Finally GE suggested that the dealer replace the entire door panel, which they did. It took the repairman a couple of hours to do so. Still didn't work. Finally GE declared the machine "non repairable" and replaced it. Unfortunately the men who replaced the dishwasher didn't install quite correctly because it leaks. I keep a plastic container under the front left corner to collect the water every time the dishwasher runs.

But the story doesn't end there. This machine and the first one both include a sensor that apparently check for objects that obstruct the spray arms. I don't know because there's nothing that tells me why the machine is beeping when I attempt to start it. I check the spray arms, move dishes, try to start it again and still get the beeper. I have done this over and over and over again and still it beeps. I have essentially emptied the dishwasher and it still beeps. When it does run, I have to use the boost temp. option and the longest cycle available to get dishes, and I mean dishes, even passably clean. Forget pots and pans, or casseroles. So, if you own a GE dishwasher, I hope that you have the old fashioned dishpan and dryer rack handy. Bottom line, it doesn't clean well, leaks, and beeps every single time I try to start it. Buy something else.

My GE dishwasher model #GDF570ddF855 is the worst dishwasher I've ever owned. I have had 4. I've had this model for 6 months. This model is hard to turn or to figure out if it is turned on. Right now it's locked up and I'm following the direction to unlock but it won't unlock. So there's no real on/off button! There needs to be a control on the inside of door where you can turn the lock button. I'm writing this so others won't buy this model as they will be thoroughly dissatisfied. Maybe all GE dishwashers are like this? This one sucks...

Our dishwasher has only ever served as a dish wetter or drying rack. It has NEVER CLEANED DISHES UNLESS they were put in the dishwasher already spotless. We have a GE Slate with hidden controls. Now, the racks are rotting away and the cost to replace them is nearly the cost of the entire unit. We are going to throw this one out and get a new dishwasher of another brand. DO NOT BUY GE DISHWASHERS!

Entire inside is plastic crap. Dishwasher is very loud and takes a long time. Racks are ok but cheap feeling. If I was choosing, I wouldn't buy it. This GE was in new house. Overall feel is very cheap. Too much plastic. Very low end builder model. Steel inside or heavy plastic will take more beatings.

We have enjoyed this dishwasher for over 25 years. Over 25 years ago my husband gave me a portable dishwasher for Christmas. About 15 years ago we turned it into a built in. It doesn't look great, some rust and lost 2 of the prongs but it is still doing a great job.

Does not clean well nor dry well even on the more powerful cycles. I rinse off all the food and if anything is accidentally missed, it just gets baked on. Very disappointing. Also much of the upper rack item remain very wet at the end of the cycle. Drying issues: I use the most powerful drying cycle option but contents remain wet at the end of the cycle, especially plastics and top rack utensils. Not just damp, but large drops of water remain. Cleaning issues: Even when I use the heavy cycle, unless I remove all traces of food from the contents, the food remains and worse, now baked on. This model has a 'sanitized' cycle so basically I use this dishwasher to sanitize only rather than clean, dry and sanitize. Completely unacceptable.

I feel it is very basic. The stainless steel front, is not real, but still scratches. It is a bottom of the line model. The door is stiff and doesn't always latch properly, therefore it occasionally leaks. I would not purchase again.

Does not hold as many dishes, pots and pan as my previous dishwasher. In the bottom rack I cannot place plates and bowls side by side. Rack is too small and the gray interior is too dark. And the top rack does not hold the glasses in place, already had one break.

New house and all appliances came w/ it, used washer once to make sure plumbed correctly. It is the best storage container and no one looks in it... by not using it saved $38 a month in water bill and controlled water usage, throwing used water out on plants in drought, if need to sterilize put bleach in rinse water. I had 10 family members may have to use it other than for storage. Love to get a clothes pole for hanging laundry but God given rights of free sun and drying has been removed from us by associations. My machine is there if I need it. But great multipurpose and never complains... course after 13 years, crumbs in bottom and should run soon to clean it out... It's black and as this was a speculation home, builders chose colors... it doesn't show dirt as white appliances does... would buy same color again.. although real dark with oak kitchen.

Nothing but trouble with dishwasher. GE service is a disaster. Design flaw that is forcing me to purchase another dishwasher. Dozens of call to and from service have not yielded any results. Finally a contracted repair person made it to repair dishwasher and told me it would fail again because of the design. Avoid GE appliances at all costs.

The new home that we purchased had the above named dishwasher (GDT655SSJSS). When I run the dishwasher there is a very high frequency whine throughout the cycle - the only time it stops is when it is changing cycles. I have contacted GE Customer service 3 times... The first time I was told to add a quart of water to the bottom of the dishwasher and that should 'fix' the problem. Tried that - still high frequency whine.

Second contact - no response. Third contact - today- called customer service after my negative appliance review was rejected by GE (buyer beware of all those positive reviews) and was told that this noise is 'normal'. Totally Unacceptable - since the sound hurts my ears and causes a headache - I have to listen to 111 minutes of this noise (except when the washer pauses to change cycles). This is the very worst dishwasher I have ever owned and even though it is only 2 months old I will be replacing it - and it won't be a GE Dishwasher.

GE Dishwasher GDF520PGJBB - GE has the worst dish washer machines you can ever buy. In fact never buy a GE dishwasher in general. Maybe, GE makes good refrigerators but not dish washers. We bought this from Home Depot and after 6 months it "collapsed": Pump broken, soap dispenser broken, panel doesn't work. We had before a Maytag and we used it for over 20 years without any issues. In addition, GE has the worst customer service you can imagine. They are robots, repeat the same thing with a very annoying tone, and are not able to solve a single issue.

We were even harassed by GE manager 'Evan or Aven', useless man, from customer relation who enjoyed seeing how much frustrated we were. This was the only GE appliance we have in our house, and after this unpleasant experience with GE will NEVER buy any GE appliance, even if it was free. GE refused to fix our machine under the pretext that it's not installed on Ply Wood. We didn't install the machine ourselves but professional technicians from Home Depot and they also refuse to put PlyWood under the machine as it's not a requirement. They do it every day, but looks like GE have Lazy technicians.

I moved into a house with the dishwasher already installed and it didn't work. We closed it so we didn't use electricity but it started and wouldn't stop. The power button is broken. It just sits there and the lights are always lit. I tried calling for help but the workers were very unhelpful. I called a different number and was waiting a whole five minutes and no one picked up!

GLD6560L00SS. My dishwasher (Model number:GLD6560L00SS) was producing large amounts of smoke through the face panel. It filled my kitchen with smoke and produced a strong smell. I contacted GE and they sent a service repairman out and he took a look. He said this problem is very uncommon with this specific unit and he has never seen something like this. After he removed the front panel, we were welcomed by a burnt/charcoal black face-plate. There was an internal fire in the machine.

To fast forward I have been working with GE the last 3 weeks and they have offered to cover 50% off a new unit. I cannot afford this even with a discount and they will not cover the cost of a replacement. This problem could have been much worse if I was not home. The house very well could have started on fire. We normally set the unit at night and go to bed... Thank god this was a different day. This kind of thing is unexceptionable and the fact that they will not cover.

We purchased this dishwasher for our rental. The last dishwasher was over 30 years old and still working but the racks were coming apart so we opted for a new one from Home Depot. A year later our tenants called saying when they used the dishwasher it rained in the basement. Our maintenance man called and said the dishwasher melted a hole in the right side about 1.5 inches by a 1/4 inch. Midway to the heater element. He did a temp fix with silicone.

I called GE Recall number and was told it was not on a recall list. I called customer service and was told they would waive the service call. I explained this was a FIRE HAZARD. They insisted all they could do is send their tech out for repair. Since I paid about 280 dollars for the dishwasher I decide a service call would probably run near that and told them NO! I am now sending all information to consumer affairs department with my STATE REPRESENTATIVE. I also am putting the fire hazard info out there on facebook and twitter. I am waiting for someone else to say they also had a fire hazard. This should be on a recall list!

Has anyone experienced a plastic burning smell when the dishes are drying? My dishwasher is 3 years old and I wash on Light cycle which is suppose to be 45 minutes long but goes for 85 minutes. Company said to turn off circuit breaker and turn back on and it should be fine, it isn't. Last two times I used the dishwasher it wouldn't completely shut down so I had to do it manually and before I did this I could smell a plastic burning smell but there was nothing on the elements. I called for a service call but they were shut down for 4 days.

This dishwasher is less than 4 years old and the rack is rusting away. It seems like it happened overnight. I didn't notice anything and then all of a sudden the first is everywhere! The metal inside of the plastic is even disintegrating. It seems like it was rusting before the plastic coating came off. The only good thing I have to say about this dishwasher is that it is quiet. At 4 years old I don't think I should be having to replace both teams!

After a year and a half the dishwasher stopped draining. A $231 service call removed the three corn kernels and one watermelon seed that caused. "See it all the time" says the happy repairman. Another good example of why not to trust GE. Mrs. G's sales and service complicit in the deceit.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Since it’s founding as the Edison Electric Light Company in 1878, GE has been a household name in appliances. The company's innovation keeps it at the forefront of home design with smart products and integrated technologies.

• Compact built-ins available: Where most dishwashers are 24 inches, GE offers a more compact size, at only 18 inches, which is great for small kitchens and apartments.
  • Front or top controls: Depending on your countertops, you might not be able to easily use top controls on a dishwasher, so having the option of top or front controls makes finding the right machine easier.
  • Portable dishwashers: GE's portable options allow you to get a dishwasher that you can take with you if you move. Also, with these dishwashers you don’t need a plumber to install it.
  • Under-sink installations: To keep storage loss to a minimum, GE manufactures dishwashers that you can install directly under a sink or a cooktop.
  • Guided tour to GE dishwashers: Use easy-to-navigate website resources to learn the pros and cons of each style so you can choose the one that works best for you.
  • Best for Apartment renters, homeowners and families