2.77/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 17, 2018

806 Maytag Dishwashers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 17, 2018

I had a Maytag dishwasher (made by Whirlpool) that after 4 months of ordering wrong parts, parts arriving damaged, and parts that were re-engineered and did not match up, the dishwasher could not be fixed. The extended warranty people (AIG) promised me twice on a recorded telephone call that they would "exchange" my dishwasher, and after many many heated telephone conversations was given a 20 minute lecture on how the word "exchange" does not mean they will replace it.

The frustration ultimately overtook my misspent loyalty in anything made by Whirlpool and I decided to accept the buyout of my extended warranty contract, at a loss of hundreds of dollars to me - well worth getting rid of that dishwasher and any further affiliation with Whirlpool corporation. Absolutely horrible customer service. Unbelievably god awful treatment. I don't know what happened to "customer service" at Whirlpool, but my dealing with them has convinced me that the term is an oxymoron at Whirlpool. Horrible horrible customer service. I have never been treated so poorly in my life. I truly don't know how they can still be in business if they treat their customers like they did me.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Faulty Maytag MDB8969 Dishwasher - BEWARE! Whirlpool, Jenn-Air, Amana, Maytag, KitchenAid... Are all brands that fall under Whirlpool. According to Better Business Bureau statistics there is less than 1 chance in 10 that you will get the Whirlpool product you are expecting! We purchased a new Maytag dishwasher at the end of 2016. Within a couple of weeks the dishwasher began failing: discharge pumps, heating elements, soap dispensers, door leaks, faulty racks, rinsing problems... Since purchasing the machine we have had to make 7 different service calls, all under warranty. The warranty service providers have been good but the machine has been a catastrophe, having been out of commission for several of the 18 months since being installed, and causing serious water damage to our kitchen floor (based on several other negative reviews this leaking is not an uncommon occurrence).

A few months into owning the machine, after our 3rd service call, we contacted Whirlpool, Customer Service and asked for the machine to be replaced. They refused to replace the machine but extended our warranty free of charge- better than nothing but not a cure to the problem and the only remedial action that Whirlpool was willing to offer. We didn't understand at that point that the problem of faulty and defective Whirlpool products was probably so huge that Whirlpool could not afford to provide a reasonable solution to their customers; leaving many, as witnessed on various product review sites, to bear the extreme frustration and associated expenses borne from the incurred failures. Unfortunately, here we are once again, requesting our 7th service call in less than 18 months, and asking once again for a replacement.

The Whirlpool response this time (CSR was not allowed to let us speak to her Supervisor in spite of trying to negotiate that for several minutes) was that they would not replace the defective machine but would sell us a new $850 machine for $250 and would dispose of the faulty machine for an additional $25. Whirlpool would not however pay for the uninstall of the faulty unit nor the install of the new unit (about $350) which would have to come out of our pocket. We won’t be spending the additional $600 to fix this problem as proposed by Whirlpool; we won’t be installing another Maytag product in our home. We were advised that we could fill out a form if we wanted, to try and claim for the damages which the dishwasher caused to our kitchen floor. The form was never emailed as agreed and now we are just really tired of the whole experience so will simply put this all behind us.

Our Whirlpool experience has been extremely stressful and quite expensive. It is clear to us that if an appliance which is averaging a serious failure every 3 months since the first day of installation, does not in the opinion of Whirlpool warrant a full and prompt replacement, or even the direct telephone attention of a Customer Service Supervisor, that the Whirlpool quality standard must be so low, the failure frequencies so high, that the number of similar failures prohibits any commercial viability to manage the problems in a reputable manner.

Whirlpool clearly has some very large problems. It would not have been easy to destroy the once highly respected "Maytag" name. Such degradation could only take place as a result of continuous and ongoing Whirlpool quality degradation. We will no longer be their ‘crash test dummies’ but I do hope for the sake of Whirlpool (apparently North American made) that they take ownership of their poor quality condition, realign and spend the next few years becoming the company that we all once knew and respected.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

MDB8959SBB. Purchased this Maytag dishwasher late December 2013 and had it professionally installed on January 4, 2014. Could have burned down the house this weekend! Smoke everywhere! Thank goodness it was running during the day and not night so that we were able to shut off the power. Lights in the kitchen were blinking and smoke pouring out of the dishwasher. The house still smells of smoke. So disappointing. I've always been a proud owner of the Maytag products. Never again. Especially after reading the reviews. Interesting enough, THIS dishwasher was purchased because of a recall on the PREVIOUS Maytag dishwasher I had trouble with. They gave me a credit to use towards my next purchase. I've learned my lesson.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Maytag dishwasher mdbh979sam1 - Every single one of the Maytag/whirlpool dishwashers with soft pushbuttons and LEDs will fail--check it on YouTube. They have a very thin printed circuit strip from the door controller to the brains, and this rusts through in a few years. You must buy the whole controller for $150, you can't replace just the ribbon. And you'll be doing this every few years. Maytag disavows this if you call them. The design runs the steam past this ribbon, so it corrodes really fast. Get a real pushbutton or a real dial knob model instead. With this model, the issue shows up when the LED pushbuttons stop responding or randomly light.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I have owned several dishwashers thru the years and my favorite is Maytag. Maytag is quiet, barely hear it running which is rare for a dishwasher, dependable and plenty of space for dishes, pot and pans etc. I wouldn't have any other but Maytag. Also has several options for dishwashing which is a big plus. Love Maytag!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maytag?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I’ve had my dishwasher for over 10 yrs now and I probably need to upgrade but it suits us just fine and I’ve really never had any problem with it at all. My dishes and especially my glasses come out "Sparkling".

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

This dishwasher is reliable and has NEVER had any repairs. It cleans fairly well, but I do wash off dishes before I put them in. The one complaint I have is sometimes the dishes smell funny after washing. I think it may be our water though. I also like that there is room for oversize dishes and glasses on some of the racks. Overall, I would buy it again.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I really like my Maytag dishwasher. It has been very good. I have had it for at least 10 years and it is still working fine. It is worth every penny. If this one stop working I would buy another Maytag dishwasher.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

The control panel went bad on our Maytag dishwasher of only 4 years that is only run about once a week, A replacement part would cost more than half of what the dishwasher originally cost, so we have decided to go with a KitchenAid. Not pleased at all with the longevity of the Maytag.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Every Maytag product that I have bought in the last 10 has been garbage. That includes a dishwasher, side-by side refrigerator, washer & dryer. I've been hand washing my dishes for the last 4 or so years because my Brand New Maytag dishwasher totally stopped working after about 2 1/2 years. Maytag isn't the same company as it was 20+ years ago. Their products are made of cheap imported components that aren't meant to last any significant period of time. Do yourself a favor - DON'T BUY MAYTAG PRODUCTS!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

My dishes come out super clean and I love it, even when there is calcium build-up around the filter. Thanks to Maytag and their great technology. You can't beat Maytag.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

Dishwasher could do better with washing the dishes better and less recycling time. Also, it would be better if it had a self cleaning unit on it.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

The Maytag dishwasher works really well. Not the quietest, but cleans thoroughly. I don't use heated drying though, to save energy. Stainless steel interior retains enough heat to mostly dry. However, unit died after only 7 years. Expected longer life.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

My Maytag dishwasher is very easy to use. Saves on money and time. I enjoy it and it have made my life so much easier. When you cook for two you can be out the kitchen in no time.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I bought a Maytag dishwasher to match other appliances in kitchen. Work great, not loud and gets dishes clean. Have owned it for 10 years and have one problem with the door latch. But it was easy and inexpensive to replace.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Maytag dishwasher does not clean dishes. It has hot water and we have had a repairman look at it and he said water jets working. We have to wash all our dishes by hand before loading them into the dishwasher to "sanitize".

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Overall I am satisfied with my Maytag Model MDB8859AWW2. I purchased the dishwasher 06/05/201. However, the door spring squeaks. It is a grating sound.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

It doesn't clean as well as the cheap GE model we have at our beach cottage. Also it is very noisy. Disappointing. Will never buy a Maytag dishwasher again.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I love my dishwasher. The only hold back is similar to what I hear about all others and that is that it takes a long time. I love that is it quiet, has lots of room and is easy to use.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

We have to rinse off any food particles before we wash or it may not wash off. So I use plastic wiper before we load. Only 2 of us so items may sit 3-4 days before we run our Maytag dishwasher.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I find this Maytag dishwasher just ok, nothing special. It doesn't seem to clean any better or worse than other dishwashers I have had or used in the past. It also seems to get really slimy under the inside of the door.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

This Maytag dishwasher works great if you are using as a sanitizer for your dishes so long as the dishes were soaked already. It stinks if you do not use it often and requires a lot of bleaching.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I live in a area where the water leaves spots unless you add vinegar. Maybe a attachment that could add some on the last rinse. I don't know if they could do that or not.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

At first my dishwasher worked great and I have always been really good about rinsing my dishes before I put them in. Starting a few months back I noticed my dishes were coming out gritty then all of a sudden it started backing up into our sink.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

We loved the Maytag dishwasher when we first bought it. After about 5 years it started leaking. Had rubber gasket replace, only held up 2 years. This was the only problem.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

The efficiency of cleaning even dried on foods and getting them perfectly clean and dried is unsurpassed. And the need for dishwashing soap is always at a minimal using this Maytag Dishwasher.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

This dishwasher is at 10 years old, but is a real workhorse. This machine cleans like no other! Never worry about our dishes being clean. But we have replaced the seal once.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Maytag Dishwashers work great. It cleans well and appearance is very good. I have always trusted Maytag appliances. It's quiet running and also energy saver. If I had to replace I would stay with Maytag.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I was pleasantly surprised that this basic model would work so great! It really gets the dishes clean. It came with the house so I did not choose it and probably would not have bought it if I had to shop for it.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

IT A GOOD DISHWASHER, BUT I HAVE HAD 2 PROBLEMS WITH THE CONTROLS AND HAD THE CONTROL PANEL REPLACED. TWICE. The insurance I bought with the machine, sent me a jerk to fix it, I complained and they sent a good repairman.

Maytag expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Acquired by Whirlpool in 2006, the Maytag brand is one known for dependability. With more than 100 years of experience in the home appliance space, Maytag is a familiar brand.

• Built-in disposal: Never deal with clogs when using a Maytag dishwasher with a built-in chopper. It cleans its own filter and reduces food to particles small enough for any drainpipe.

• Easy shopping: With only four different models, it won't take long to find the one that best fits your needs.

• Extended warranty: While some manufacturers only cover specific parts for 10 years, Maytag offers a more extensive policy that includes parts for the tub and door liner.

• Most powerful motor: Compared to other leading brands in the category, Maytag offers the most powerful motor.

• Sanitization option: In addition to the regular clean cycle, Maytag dishwashers also include an optional sanitization cycle that kills bacteria.

• Best for: Homeowners, businesses and families