Maytag Dishwashers

Compare Dishwashers

Research top Dishwashers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

When purchasing new, sales person highly recommended Maytag products. Maytag Dishwasher MDB7749SBW3 - This had the SS tub that my wife was looking for. Now only 19 months later it has completely stopped working. A few weeks ago the lights on the control panel would randomly come on or not align with the wash option that was chosen. This lasted a short time, and then lights on the panel would stay on, and not allow you to choose any options. I reset our breaker and this alleviated the problem for another week or so. Then it stopped working all together.

A quick Google search and it was obvious Maytag has a MAJOR and KNOWN issue with this model. The ribbon going into the faceplate/ control board sits directly behind the port that exhausts the steam. This ribbon over time becomes corroded and eventually malfunctions. I called customer support. They were completely unwilling to acknowledge the problem and also unwilling to help in any way. They offered to sell me an extended warranty @ $329.00 that would cover the service call and repair. Very unhappy that their product has an obvious defect/ flaw and they are completely unwilling to acknowledge/ or stand behind their product. We are a family of (3) and run this dishwasher about once every 5-10 days. Unbelievable they find a fail rate within a year and half with light use acceptable!

148013 Stan & Paul's Dartmouth MA - 3 yrs ago we remodeled the kitchen... I went with Maytag appliances because I was always told they were good. I should have stayed with GE. Dishwasher touch pad is gone again... 2nd time in 3 yrs. Last one cost us 265.00. We are senior and thought these appliances would outlast us. We only use it about twice a week. Our freezer door tracks and door needed to be replace 6 mo after purchase. WE lost all the food that had defrosted. Our oven coil burned out already also... that was expensive to replace. Only thing that we have not had to repair (knocking on wood) is the microwave. STAY AWAY FROM MAYTAG, FOLKS!!

On 8/26/16, we purchased a top-of-the-line Maytag dishwasher from Lowe's of Palm Bay, Fl. It began leaking water out one side shortly after installation. Because of a hospitalization, we were not able to report the problem to Lowe's until the first part of December. A repairman from Brandt's in Sebastian, Fl. came out on 12/6/16 and said it might be the door gasket, but he did not have a new one with him and if it continued, to call back. I called again and another repairman from Brandt's came out on 1/3/17. He said it was out of square and he took out 2 screws and said to cut back on detergent because too many suds could cause it to leak (which we find ludicrous). Now it leaks on both sides. This is not a small leak; it soaks the bath towel we put under the door.

On 1/11/17 Brandt's sent 2 repairmen out and they claimed we needed to cut way back on detergent and put in a capful of salad oil because our water softener is causing the suds which causes the leak. We now use 1/2 teaspoon of detergent and the capful of salad oil. It is still leaking. Our previous Kitchen Aid dishwasher never leaked and we used the recommended amount of detergent in it. We are apparently stuck with a brand-new dishwasher that cannot be fixed. We will NEVER buy another Maytag appliance.

We purchased a new Maytag dishwasher for $500 from Home Depot about 1 year ago... it stopped working 4 days ago. I did not get satisfaction from Maytag customer service as they tried to sell me a repair program whilst I was trying to determine if it was under warranty as it is a known problem. I now have a repair person coming out with a price of $189.95 + time. A complete joke of an organization. Lesson? Do NOT purchase any MAYTAG brand. They DO NOT stand by their product. My rating is ZERO STARS, the site forces me to enter a star which is ONE TOO MANY. I will NOT do business with Maytag, Whirpool or any of their brands again.

We purchased a TOP of the line Maytag dishwasher with the expectation that we were also purchasing high quality. Boy, were we wrong. Continuous problems with the controls since out of warranty. The controls are in the door and operate pushbutton from top. This is electronic pushbutton not actual pushbuttons.

MDB89595SBS.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maytag?

Problems with Maytag dishwasher, purchased at Sears Canada Model MDB7749S is only a couple of years old, and as such is no longer under warranty. This Dishwasher is less than 3 years old! Both the interior and exterior is stainless steel and looks virtually new. Cost of parts and labour to repair amount to more than a new dishwasher--this is unacceptable. Poor design. Little value compared to cost. First issue: bottom rack wheels fall off because the plastic pin holding the plastic wheels on the rack become fall out, leaving no way to hold the wheels onto the rack. Second issue: faulty design of the integrated door handle and control panel on the exterior door face. The control panel pops out of the front cover panel when door is pulled open. With some struggle it can be popped back in.

I agree with another reviewer who wrote: "The design of the faceplate is defective in that too much force is applied to the faceplate when opening the unit. The handle is integrated in to the faceplate. The plastic used becomes brittle over time and breaks. The panel unit (W10811169) must be replaced in entirety rather than just its housing increasing the cost of repair. To have this failure occur within the first 3 years of use is very premature. I can only assume if I repair the dishwasher I will have the same problem again. I am considering buying a new model that is designed better and comes with a longer warranty on such parts."

Model # MDBH945AWW - It is Christmas Eve morning and we are preparing for family activities. We started the dishwasher and continued with task. Mid cycle we began to smell smoke. The dishwasher was turned off and the fire dept. called. Upon inspection it was noted that the motor was extremely overheated. We have owned this machine for 8 yrs and only run it once or twice a week. Based on previous reviews, it appears that Maytag misrepresents itself on national TV.

Well, I thought I was buying quality products dishwasher and refrigerator and both are very disappointing. Of course the Maytag dishwasher (MBD7749AWB2) really upsets me since I just bought it in Aug of 2011. Now it will not finish a load of dishes and I did what the lady at Maytag told me. She said it was the control board. But it is not the control board. It is still working the same as it was. Now what should I do? When they said I had a 10year warranty I didn't think a known product like Maytag would let me down. MAYTAG, YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED TO ADVERTISE YOUR PRODUCTS TO LASTS! THEY SUCK!

My dishwasher is one year old. It is very quiet and cleans well. Stainless steel makes it look great too. Efficient, energy saver dishwasher with great capacity and large utensil holder. This is the best dishwasher I have owned.

This dishwasher constantly has an odor. I run the dishwasher every third day (there are only two of us), and no matter how well the dishes are rinsed off, there is an unpleasant smell whenever the door is opened. Even after running the washer, upon opening the door an unpleasant scent still lingers. I compare this washer to the Kenmore I left in my previous home and this brand new one falls short. I would not purchase this dishwasher again. But because this is only a year old, I guess I am stuck with it for a while.

I've had the dishwasher model MDBH979SAB0 for about 3 years now. A few months ago I noticed the faceplate would pop out when you opened the dishwasher. I would have to pop it back in. The dishwasher was out of warranty so I decided to attempt to fix it. I took the faceplate off to realize all of the plastic tabs that screws go in to were snapped off. The only fix for this is a complete new panel from Whirlpool Parts Online to the tune of $194.17 (W10811169).

The wheels also fall off the bottom rack. The push pin plastic becomes brittle over time and does not stay in the assembly. To replace the wheel assembly (there are 4 in total) is $38.18 each (W10195416V). The wheels or push pins can't be purchased separately. Both of these items are not covered under warranty past 1 year. Maytag's 10 year warranty only covers the upper and Lower Racks (excludes cup shelf and silverware basket), chopper blade and stainless steel tub and inner door liner. So only a small percentage of the parts.

Maytag Dishwasher MDB7749SBW3 - Control panel problem just like everyone else describes. Bought in Nov 2014... how disappointing!! My husband is sure he can fix it if I buy the part. I went online to order the control panel, and of course because I'm in Canada I can't ship the part directly from the website, I have to call the Canadian Sears Part Dept., it's about $200! As I came across all these reviews I am even contemplating if I should waste our time and money trying to fix this thing... Maytag never again!!!

Dishwasher MAYTAG MDB7749SBM - Have the same problem as everyone else, panel board. Initially lights randomly blinked, flashed etc, but still washed dishes. Now it has completely died. Dishwasher is 3 years old.

We 19 years and gently used. The door latch broke. We purchased a used quiet series Maytag dishwasher and found that the door latch failed on this. I recently found over 600 complaints for the same problem. If you are receiving this many complaints and it's one of your most frequent complaint, do you think it's time for a redesign of the door latch mechanic is??? Or are you relying on your reputation and don't care about quality anymore?

This is it for Maytag. I'm glad we didn't buy a new Maytag because we would be stuck again with a crappy door latch. If you can't be bothered with fixing your door latch issues and you know that you have a long term problem here, you at least can send a new door handle kit to those of us who are complaining. Of course you won't do that. And the only recourse I have as a consumer is to tell others about the ongoing problem with your front door latch on my social media. Sadly, you are now only another crappy dishwasher with no real quality control. I bought several appliances from you because of your reputation for appliances that last. Seems that is now a myth.

Dishwasher MDB7749SBM - Have the same problem as everyone else, panel board (2nd one, 1st was under warranty). This panel W10475787 is 2 years old. Keeps lighting up doing what it wants to do. Dishwasher is 3 years old. Can't find out if there is a recall on this part (there should be).

Bought DW 2 1/2 years ago. The control panel has a mind of its own, and today it will not even light up. How does a recall happen? I see lots of people having trouble with this model and others as well. A dishwasher should last much longer! Will never buy a Maytag again... and will recommend the same to my friends.

Maytag Dishwasher model MDBH989AWB3. The dishwasher was purchased at Home Depot March 19, 2010 in Hollywood, FL; delivered to our new home April 16, 2010 in Brunswick, ME. My complaint is the exact same complaint as the previous 28 complaints! I think the reason our unit worked for 6 yrs is because it was in use only 6 months a year. My experience: you make your selection, two lights come on, you press start, but nothing happens. You think this is a simple repair. You read the manual and try their troubleshooting advice, but to no avail. When you contact the company, they tell you that this is going to be an expensive repair, probably over $500.

You contact Home Depot who want nothing to do with you or your dead dishwasher. Their advice: contact the Maytag company. You contact local appliance repairmen and they will repair it at a cost of over $500. You offer the unit to the repairman for free; he declines. He suggests you check the online Consumer Affairs site. It is on that site that you realize the dead dishwasher belongs where one brings other dead things: the dump. I will NEVER buy another Maytag product. I would suggest no one else does either, unless you want to practice your skills in dealing with frustration or you want to throw $693.40 to the wind and watch it flit away helplessly. Thank you for reading this.

Had this model MDB7749SBM1 for almost 3 years and paid over $700 for it. Thought I was purchasing a good machines. The last few months the control panel pops out and away from the front door panel. Do get it back. You have to unscrew the panel from the door. Inside is all plastic and broken. How can it be broken when it is an area never touched. Every time you open the door after a wash it pops out again. To get it repaired will cost too much. It is a badly designed unit which should have a latch instead of just pulling out.

I am so disappointed and will think twice before buying Maytag. I have never had luck with any Maytag dishwasher lasting. At this point I don't know whether to just buy another brand or glue it. We are not keeping our home so I don't want to invest money. Awful machine and I see it is discontinued so there are a lot of complaints. Thanks for sticking us Maytag.

I purchased a Maytag Dishwasher #MDB7749SBM1 as part of a complete kitchen remodel less than 3 years ago. Maytag was a great product years ago so I thought I would switch from GE to Maytag thinking that I had purchased a quality set that would give me years of great service! What a bad choice to say the least! This dishwasher has never dried the dishes completely with heated dry option. I never cared for the plastic latch and metal catch option either since I caught water dripping from the bottom since the door must not have been completely shut even though the latch was secure.

Most recently, the start option on the flat control panel will not work. After opening and closing door multiple times I can get the start option to light up and run the cycle. Added bonus to start option not working correctly is that when the dishwasher door is shut, it automatically runs hours later with no human interaction. The dishwasher lights were lit up like a Christmas tree at 7 am this morning and running a cycle. Guess it thought the dishes weren't clean enough. I am going to price out a board and determine whether I will throw this piece of crap in the dumpster and find a different brand! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU DON'T BUY A MAYTAG DISHWASHER!

We purchased a full house of Maytag appliances to support American Made (ourselves). It is very disappointing that our Maytag dishwasher Model # MBD 89595BW3 has completely quit functioning properly. All the lights came on and nothing worked after that. We contacted Maytag and was told to turn off the power and restart after 2 minutes which did absolutely nothing. No problem - try again. Again, nothing. The disappointment is compounded by the fact that this dishwasher is only 2 years 7 months old. It is too bad that an American Made product didn't last long enough to show any wear and tear. Investigation to repair resulted in cost prohibitive investment. So sorry Maytag, we gave it a shot. Moving on to a more "reliable" rated brand.

We bought our Maytag dishwasher at Sears about 2 years ago. It has never cleaned very well, we have to rinse everything almost to the point of spotless before we load it. It's a "water saver", which means it takes more than 4 hours to fully cycle. Just today, I went to turn it on and the start button does not work. I looked it up and found that this is a common problem with new Maytag washers. This is really irritating, considering we paid a lot more for the Maytag brand than we would have paid for something without the Maytag reputation. Live and learn, I guess; we certainly will not be buying another Maytag.

I am writing this because I received an offer for a protection plan today in the mail. I purchased a Maytag dishwasher on from Home Depot. I had to have the control panel (motherboard) replaced a month after purchase to failed again approx. a year later. I still own this dishwasher (MDB7749SBB) but only used it off and on 2 of the first 10 year - have not used since. Well kids are in college and my next purchase will not be a Maytag. The wife and I lost all confidence in this product.

I purchased my Maytag MDB7749AWM2 dishwasher approximately 3 years ago. Since it was stainless inside and out I felt that I was making a long-lasting purchase. The handle on this particular model doesn't have a latch release button. You are actually just pulling the door open. That would be fine if they had used something besides plastic on the control panel cover where the handle is built into. The control panel is only held together with plastic pieces that the screws go into.

After only a couple of years of pulling on this the plastic parts holding the screws have all broken causing my control panel to just flash. My husband is a maintenance engineer and upon taking the screws out couldn't believe with such a high quality machine that they had used plastic in the main place where they needed strength. The wiring was cut so short to the control panel that one of the plugs had come undone when the cover began separating. I only need the plastic cover because my control panel is working fine but of course you have to buy the entire control unit which is $150.

I purchased Maytag because I thought they represented a reputable American company but I was very wrong. When I contacted Maytag about the problem they were very unconcerned and just gave me a link where I could purchase the part. When I told them it would be my last Maytag product they didn't even have a comment. Giving Made in America a bad name.

I purchased a Maytag dishwasher on Nov. 5, 2013 from Fred's Appliance. I had to have the control panel fixed twice and it failed again in June 1916. My stemware had a film on it and I either had to wash it by hand or rinse it in hot water and dry by hand. Thus I felt like how could my other dishes not have this film on them even though I faithfully used Finish. I have 2 daughters who live within a half mile of me and they did not have this trouble with their dishwashers. I always felt Maytag was a top brand, but I replaced my 3 year old Maytag with a Whirlpool that my daughter and her family of 4 used for 19 years. Guess what... my glasses come out sparkling without using Finish and they wash in half the time and are dry!

We bought a Maytag Dishwasher Model # MDB4709AWW4 about 2 years ago. Complete piece of junk. Just spent $350 on a new control panel. We called Maytag and they told us that our model wasn't under the recall for this issue. The old belief about the Maytag repairman not being busy is a lie. Avoid their products. They are poor quality.

The control panel and the electronic control box had to be replaced after only two years of use. It cost almost as much as a new dishwasher (492 dollars). The model of the Maytag dishwasher is MDB77479SBM3. This dishwasher looks good from the outside and runs quite but the electronics are cheap and can't stand heat without melting. My wife and I are retired and only used this washer about twice per week. It looks good, cost 650 bucks and it is a pile of junk. No more Maytag in our house. We had this machine installed in July of 2014... It crapped out in July of 2016.

We purchased a Maytag MDB7749SBWO Maytag dishwasher. Suddenly the control panel does not work. Trying to find out why I found that there are thousands of complaints about this known defect with water and steam getting in and corroding the control panel. Shame on Maytag for continuing to sell these without fixing the problem. I expected my dishwasher to last many years based on the Maytag reputation instead I need to replace it. I am not going to spend the money on a repair with a machine that will have the same problem again according to other consumers.

I have only had this Maytag dishwasher for 2 years. My control panel has gone crazy! The child lock is blinking and I never touched it. I have tried to clear it by touching the heated dry button for 3 seconds, every once in a while it will clear. It eventually will start blinking again on child lock. I did research and have found out that I'm not the only one that is having this problem. I now have to get it fixed.

The 2013 Maytag dishwasher panel broke 13 months after the purchase. After several phone calls and complaints they agreed to replace the panel at no charge. Since yesterday I have the same problem and need them to replace this washer. I am on a limited SS income and I am not in a position to purchase another washer after 3 yrs. My previous one lasted almost 15 yrs. This is totally unfair and I hope that Maytag replaces this entire machine, not just another repair. It will cost them a lot less to do that by either sending or having LOWE'S to replace this one. Thank you so much.

Updated on 09/16/2016: Maytag is asking $300 to fix it and they will not replace it. So, by coincidence a friend of mine had the same problem and she did the following and I repeated these steps and now dishwasher is working. Turn off the switch or unplug, or turn off from the circuit box, your dishwasher. This cuts off electricity to the washer totally. Wait 30 seconds. Push the "cancel" button and hold on pressing it for 30 seconds (precisely, not less). Push then, the "start" button and hold on for 30 seconds again. Turn on the power and the cancel light will come on and let the cycle finish do not touch anything, until it is turned off and the light goes off by itself. Then, choose your selection for washing push start and see if it works. It did with mine and hers. Good luck and LADIES- YOU CAN DO IT, if this little old woman did it by herself.

Purchased a new Maytag dishwasher just under 1 year ago. After a 5 months it started not working. We called the dealer - who gave us a number to call because it was under warranty. We called the number and it took days to get someone to "look at it" and not fix it. It needed a new part. It's been over a week now and we haven't heard anything, and still no working dishwasher. Our last two dishwashers lasted over 18 years. Kenmore and Whirlpool, never had any issues. This is our first Maytag. Service has been snail pace slow. Don't buy a Maytag dishwasher unless you want to spend your life washing dishes.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Acquired by Whirlpool in 2006, the Maytag brand is one known for dependability. With more than 100 years of experience in the home appliance space, Maytag is a familiar brand.

• Built-in disposal: Never deal with clogs when using a Maytag dishwasher with a built-in chopper. It cleans its own filter and reduces food to particles small enough for any drainpipe.
  • Easy shopping: With only four different models, it won't take long to find the one that best fits your needs.
  • Extended warranty: While some manufacturers only cover specific parts for 10 years, Maytag offers a more extensive policy that includes parts for the tub and door liner.
  • Most powerful motor: Compared to other leading brands in the category, Maytag offers the most powerful motor.
  • Sanitization option: In addition to the regular clean cycle, Maytag dishwashers also include an optional sanitization cycle that kills bacteria.
  • Best for Homeowners, businesses and families