Maytag Dishwashers
1.27/5
  • 1 star
Based on 34 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Maytag Dishwashers

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 8, 2018

775 Maytag Dishwashers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Bought a MDB7601AWW, and then replaced front panel to stainless. Configuration options are great (can’t find better at cost up to $1,200.00)! I haven’t had an issue with any stains on non-stainless tub. Problem is now control panel failing for second time. After 1st time, sealed all connections in silicone to prevent steam from affecting it, as recommended on DIY video. I just replaced the door latch, thinking that may solve it, but hard to troubleshoot without any indicator lights. This second failure (2 yrs later) shows no indication that steam or water caused it. It does start now, stuck on heavy wash, heated dry, sanitize - per top lights. Front lights totally out.

Debating whether to buy a new dishwasher ($$$) and give up super config (hard to find fold-down tines and fold-down small shelves on upper and lower racks, clips for small items, and basket that can be changed, placed anywhere) or spend at least $162 for the panel AGAIN and hope I get another 2 years from that while trusting that some other element doesn’t go out.

I believe Maytag should, at minimum, make the panel reasonably priced by offering a rebate, since the part is not sold directly through them. Obviously this problem is a design flaw. I am the only one in the house, so the dishwasher is not under heavy use. At least I found how to replace it myself on YouTube, though it requires the door to be completely taken apart and would be easier with an extra set of hands and a younger back. Hard decision since it seems newer, expensive appliances have problems as well. If I buy new, I will not hesitate to get an extended warranty (1st time ever).

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

We bought our Maytag dishwasher less than 2 years ago (model MDB8969SDM0) and we are remodeling our kitchen now January 2018, and when we pulled the dishwasher out we found that the wire (12/2) had melted into the back panel. We won’t be putting this Maytag back in.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I, like SO many other people, am experiencing problems with a relatively new Maytag dishwasher. Mine is Model MDBH979SAB1. I have owned the dishwasher for 4 years but use it 6 months of the year and, because I live alone, maybe twice a week. In effect, it has the equivalent of less than a year of normal use. My problem is the same as countless other people. I can tell from how it behaves that it needs a new control board. I find little comfort in the fact that I one of several thousand people experiencing a problem with a newer Maytag appliance. What concerns me, after reading many negative reviews and seeing Maytag's response, is that Maytag does not seem to care. We need to get the word out. We need a massive boycott of Maytag. We need to hit them where it hurts: in their bottom line. Since they seem to be content to continue to put out defective products, the only way to protect consumers is to put Maytag out of business.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

We bought a Maytag dishwasher 4 years ago, we had to have it serviced a few months after purchase for the soap & rinse agent dispenser not working, then a few months after warranty was up the buttons on machine wouldn't work, the control panel failed so we had to pay for a new one and install it... Well last night exactly one year from the install of the new control panel I walked into my kitchen to find it full of smoke and the dishwasher pour out smoke, when my husband came home he took the door off and sure enough the control panel was burnt and melted! Very scary. It is a very good thing I was home and this is why I never leave appliances running if I am not home.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Our control panel just went out...purchased in November 2015. From reading reviews it appears our only option is to purchase a new control panel and hope for another two years. Ours (MDB7749SBM3 Dishwasher) was purchased from Sears and was not cheap. When is Maytag going to recall this panel? I read reviews that this problem goes back to 2011.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maytag?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

My Maytag Dishwashers (MDB7749AWW1) control panel failed for the 2nd time. I replaced it several years ago, but this time the part cost was almost double. So instead of a recall they jack up the price to capitalize their mistake. The ribbon cable gets rusted at the bend from the steam over time. No Whirlpool or Maytag or any other products they market.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I bought your Maytag model MDB7749SBW1 dishwasher on May 22, 2013. We bought Maytag because of your reputation...not because of price. However, in September, 2014 (2 months out of warranty!!), the control panel stopped working. I called the 800 number and the best they could do is to extend the warranty for 6 months BUT only after we paid for repair and control board replacement. This is not cheap!!! We were furious. I looked if there were recalls on this model but there is not (should be). Anyway, after we paid for repairs and a new control panel put in ($160.00 +- for part itself), we were very cautious about touching anything on that dishwasher. YOU HAVE an issue with design and I can give you link after link of other customers who have expressed the same thing. So, here we are in 2017... About 2 months ago, we noticed the exact same symptoms with the control board.

In fact the ONLY way we could start the dishwasher was to turn off the breaker, let it sit for 20 minutes - overnight and then turn back on and hit the start button. We lost all control over the settings. Only auto clean and delay 2 hours were working. Yesterday, I purchased yet another control board ($179 incl tax and shipping). I plan to install myself. If I could afford another dishwasher, I would do it and never buy Maytag again. Maytag really ought to be ashamed and if they were truly concerned they would offer these defective parts at a steep discount or better yet, recall. I plan on submitting something about this issue with any consumer group I can find. I guess the only way to spread the word and perhaps force a company to respond is to post on social media anymore. This is NOT a 'like'.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I purchased a Maytag dishwasher model MDB7749AWB2 in Dec. 2011 from Home Depot after a major flood destroyed my entire first floor of my house. I had replaced a previous dishwasher only a short time before the flood. This dishwasher is JUNK. I was lucky I bought a five year extended warranty on it which actually gave me 6 years. I needed it. Within a year the control panel went. Then water started spraying out the side of door. Then it sounded like it was crushing ice every time I ran it. Then the control panel went out again. Ice noise came back again. Control panel a 3rd time. It runs for hours as it is.

Now the warranty is expired and last time I ran it the start light was blinking a few hours later. We were having high winds on and off so I thought maybe the power went on and off and that’s why it was blinking. Today I turned it on and after about 45 minutes I realized I didn’t hear it running anymore so I got up and looked and sure enough it wasn’t on. Normally the clean light is lit when done. I opened the dishwasher to see it filled with water still. I tried to hit cancel/drain but nothing works yet again. Wonderful news for a single mom that can’t afford to fix this over and over! Maytag is the worse company. Their dishwashers are horrible and they should be doing something about this as I’m not the only one that has had this issue. Home Depot was just as useless. Will NEVER buy again.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Model #MDB8959SAS1 MAYTAG Dishwasher - purchased in 2014 at Home Depot. First we had to replace the rack adjuster, and after that another part broke. Finally, the electrical control board totally melted and smelled up the house. Fortunately our breaker switch worked and it didn't cause a fire. But I've read other reviews of this happening with Maytag dishwashers where there was a fire. It now resides at the landfill.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

We purchased our Maytag dishwasher less than a year ago and are very disappointed with the poorly designed quality of this product. We had a Maytag repairman look at our dishwasher and he told us that; the dishwasher cleans with enzymes in the dishwasher not water pressure, and we need to make sure the water in the kitchen faucet need to be hot before starting the dishwasher, we also need detergent, rinse aid, and citric acid added to each load. Adding all these products to the dishwasher does not fix a poorly designed product. This product does not clean the dishes, even with rinse aid the glasses come out cloudy. The dishwasher has a power blast button, it does not clean the dishes any better than the regular setting and it runs for four hours. We will never buy another Maytag product.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

As many other reviewers have mentioned there is a defective control panel in the Maytag Dishwasher series MDB 7749. I too purchased this model at Home Depot and did not buy the extended warranty. The serviceman indicated that this model is known for its defect yet Whirlpool who owns Maytag does not have it on its recall list. I wrote to the President twice in Sept. 2017 without the courtesy of a response and now learn that he retired effective Oct.1. Is there no-one to answer his emails or is it more likely they really don't care. Sears just dropped them and who knows where their new president will lead this company. Be aware that this model dishwasher is defective and they won't replace the control panel. Too bad as once Maytag before Whirlpool bought them out, was a good and honorable company.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

We purchased a Maytag dishwasher mdb7749sbm1 in 2014 and have had nothing but problems with it since it was delivered. Within a year of owning it, the top jet fell off. We had it replaced and the repairman warned us that it would probably come off again due to a faulty latching system. In the last six months one of the brackets that holds the upper shelf has broken off and the dishwasher leaks every time we use it.

My last cycle leaked so bad that essentially it completely soaked the extra large bath towel we place in front of it and travelled halfway through my kitchen. Not to mention that it never washed dishes well, regardless of what cycle we use, which/how little or much detergent/rinse agent and it does not filter at all, as there's debris all over my dishes and glasses. I am now looking to replace it before like other reviewers a control panel fire occurs. Strongly recommend staying away from this brand.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I bought a Maytag Dishwasher Model #MDB7749SBW2 in 2013. It worked great for 2 years. In 2015, the control panel malfunctioned. All the lights on the control panel would light up and the dishwasher wouldn't start. I called Maytag. They sent out a service tech. He replaced the control panel. I started having the same problems two years later, 2017. I called Maytag today, 9/11/17, to see if they had recalled this dishwasher. No, it hasn't been recalled. They offered to sell me a extended warranty for $400+, that would pay for the service call and parts or, I could find another Maytag, Whirlpool or KitchenAid dishwasher and depending on the model, I could get a 25-45% discount on a new one. I asked why they haven't recalled this model, due to the problems that so many people are having. They don't know. I'm writing this review to let those of you who have bought this dishwasher know, that the product is faulty.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Like in a previous posting I also have a Maytag dishwasher, model MDB7749. Just this weekend we had our third control panel go up in flames. Thankfully the breaker hit and it burned itself out quickly. We had previously had one go out where it would just restart in the middle or near the end of a cycle. One other time, we heard the popping and saw the small black smoke come out from under the panel covering. This last time we were in the other room and heard the popping, and then smelled the burning. Aside from the panel issues, this has been a decent dishwasher. But at this point with a third repair I could have bought a new one. This is the only appliance I haven't bought the extended warranty on and I regret it. Hopefully Maytag will add this to their previous recall.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I purchased 4 new Maytag appliances as part of a kitchen update. The dishwasher was the first to fail, less than a year after being installed. The control panel stopped working (random lights would come on, always different from the one being pressed, and frequently incompatible selections such as "Rinse Only" and "Sanitize". PC Richards sent a repairman with a new part, no charge.

A few weeks ago, it happened again. PC Richards says that replacement parts are only under warranty for 90 days, so now the repair is on me. I could pay or repair it myself or pay PC Richards to do it. Thank goodness I am handy, but I still have to pay for the part. Now I am reading that the MDB7749 series has a history of this problem. When is Maytag going to own up and issue free repairs? I certainly will never buy Maytag again, as both the range and the refrigerator also have "common" problems. Luckily, I paid for the 10-year service agreement on those appliances.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Purchased Maytag Dishwasher MDB8959SFH4 as part of a kitchen renovation with hardwood floors. Realized that the dishwasher was leaking intermittently. Appeared that the door wouldn't latch properly. Called Whirlpool (parent company). Technician came out to assess the situation - couldn't recreate the problem so suggested replacing door seal. I try to explain to him that in my opinion it wasn't the door seal but a failure to latch because the top rack was not retracting completely on an intermittent basis. He also suggesting replacing the latch.

Repair was carried out and same issue arose three days later. I systematically removed one dish at a time and then tried closing the door - after removing about the 6th item the door closed. Called the repair company today and they told me he had just received a recall from Whirlpool - apparently an issue with the tracks not allowing the rack to retract properly - what I have been saying all along. I called Whirlpool but they insisted the notice was sent out some time ago. I called Home Depot where I bought the appliance and they confirmed that they were not aware of this issue. I suggested they should not be selling this dishwasher until Whirlpool remedy the manufacturing defect. I will follow up with Whirlpool to let him know I have spoken with Home Depot and they were not aware of the issue.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

Brand New 2017 Maytag Dishwasher MOB8959SFZ4 - The first time we used it it leaked from the door. I called the plumber back to make sure it was level and lined up properly and it was. Called the dealer, they sent a technician who sent away for a new latching mechanism. 3 weeks later the parts showed up. Technician installed them ran it through empty and no leaks problem solved? Nope. So I loaded it up and ran it again and it leaked. Called the dealer back but the technician is away on vacation.They suggested that the top rack might be pushing against the door for some reason when it is loaded so I removed everything from the dishwasher and ran it through again but it leaked again.

It's something to do with the door not latching properly and it doesn't have a lever that locks like the old ones did. It's such a flimsy product. It baffles me that importers are getting away with bringing this crap into the country. I'm now in week 5 with a brand new dishwasher that doesn't work. Maybe that's why it's known for being one of the quietest dishwashers on the market.

Original review: July 29, 2017

We purchased a Maytag Dishwasher in 2011. In 2014 I got no response from the control panel when trying to start the machine. Service came out and had to replace the control panel. The cost for that repair was $269.00. It has now just stopped working again. Same issue. After seeing all the posts, I realize that this is a prevalent issue and in some cases a safety concern. If Maytag knows about this issue with their control panels why have they not recalled or corrected these problems! Needless to say, I will never trust this company again!!! Model number MDB7749AWM2.

Original review: July 6, 2017

Maytag dishwasher model MDB4949SDE3: This dishwasher is the biggest POS that I have ever owned in 40 years. The first one would never turn on and fill with water and after it finally did it leaked on my new floor. Waited 10 days to have it replaced. The dishwasher cycle is 2.5 - 3.5 hours and the dishes come out dirty. The top rack is not adjustable to wash odd things. I feel that these dishwashers need to be replaced.

Original review: June 29, 2017

Purchased Maytag Jetclean Dishwasher Model # MDB7749SBM3 on March 19, 2014 and on June 10, 2017 the washer would not go through the cycles properly. So I got on the internet to check out the problem. Maytag has very flimsy wiring circuit on the back of the control panel that rusts out due to being close to high-temperature water. Obviously a design flaw. The only way to fix it is to replace the control panel for $150 dollars with another flawed part. Do not buy Maytag dishwasher.

Original review: May 10, 2017

I purchased the Maytag MDB8959SBS dishwasher back in 2014. I have historically been a Bosch guy when it comes to dishwashers but I have been so happy with my Maytag Maxima washer and dryer, I wanted to give their dishwasher a chance. Well, it has been a major disappointment, to say the least. For starters, it just doesn't clean that well. I am very careful in how I load a dishwasher. I do not put baking sheets across the bottom rack lol. Consistently we find dirty dishes.

Then after about a 6 months, I noticed the paint on the adjacent cabinets were peeling in spots (near the top and bottom corners). I started feeling around the outside of the door during the wash cycle and there was a fair amount of moisture collecting around the outside of the dishwasher seal (or non-seal). Fast forward to about a month ago, I noticed a burning smell in the kitchen while it was running. Did the typical check the heating element routine thinking something fell down and was burning. However, it was perfectly clean. Emptied it completely and ran a totally empty load. The smell was still there. I eventually figured out the smell was emanating from the upper right corner of the door. Coincidentally this was right above the location of the control board. I grabbed a tool and carefully removed the front panel and discovered wires were melted (some fused together) and even the inside of the panel (which is plastic) was melted in spots as well.

So yes, I could have contacted Maytag and sent pictures and fought with them over a repair but to be honest, I have no interest in keeping this appliance. It has been trouble since day one. Again, to be fair, I have had good luck with their other appliances but this was an awful experience and a total waste of money. I have since gone back to Bosch and could not be happier.

Original review: May 10, 2017

Maytag Model MDB7749SBW: Lights on control started flashing even when not it use, cycle lights varied, dishwasher would start on its own. Stopped at dealer and he said he never heard of problem. Checked online and found problem identified all over the internet. Called Maytag and they knew of problem and said they would send serviceman out to check. First trip free and parts would be free but I have to pay labor for second trip to repair. Dishwasher is just under 4 years old. Serial F31703877. Problem is corrosion on small flexible circuit at top of door. Same problem as others. Maytag states never been a recall!!! THIS CERTAINLY HAS THE POTENTIAL TO CAUSE A FIRE. Will never purchase another Maytag or Whirlpool appliance again. Poor quality and lies on the part of company and dealers as well.

Original review: April 26, 2017

My Maytag dishwasher MDB7749SAM is not quite 5 years old. At the end of December 2016 a bubble appeared on my vinyl floor. The plumber could not find any broken pipes or reason for any moisture to have gotten under the flooring. A flooring company did not know what was causing the bubble, moisture or the vinyl glue had failed. The floor got worse and worse, more bubbles.

Called the flooring company again. Raised the register cover and could see all the moisture under the vinyl and underlayment. Plumber discovered the dishwasher fill valve had failed but because there was so much insulation on the kick plate, at the bottom of the dishwasher, it forced the water, which was in a pan under the dishwasher, to push the water to the back by the wall and under the flooring. Plumber said, the insulation acted like a dam to keep the water from showing in the front of the dishwasher. The first and subsequent bubbles, in vinyl were 3 feet away from the dishwasher. No way to tell the dishwasher had the problem. Has anyone experienced this problem? If not, take care to remove the kickplate and check your dishwasher for water problems.

Original review: April 9, 2017

On April 8, 2017 I was sitting in my Dining room with Dishwasher in the kitchen in cycle cleaning. All of a sudden I heard electrical sizzling and turned to see my Dishwasher was on fire. I got up and opened the door and my Husband shut off the circuit breaker for the Dishwasher. He raced to turn off water under sink and went to disconnect the dishwasher when all of a sudden hot water was shooting all over the place. I tried to catch in a bucket but it was so hot and shooting out hose fast. Kitchen and Dining room were then filled with water. He realized the turnoff under sink was installed at time of house built and can't be fixed without a lot of chopping up under cement.

Well finally we cleaned up the mess with mop and towels and relieved neither one of us fell at our age. He unconnected the Dishwasher and secured outside. About 2010 there was a recall on this model Maytag. I reported it and a repair man came to change the cycle panel and said it would be fine, not. Yes almost 7 years later a fire occurred. Just glad we caught it in time without losing our lives or my house. Never, never again will I purchase a Maytag.

Original review: April 5, 2017

Purchased this Whirlpool made Maytag Stainless Steel dishwasher Feb 2013. By Jan 2017 the washer was no longer operational. Due to poor factory design the touch pad wiring harness was crushed during the initial assembly. The harness is routed behind the touch pad/pull handle faceplate in the door. The factory design provided no clearance for the harness. Obviously after little use (opening and closing of the door) the pinched portion of the harness behind the pull handle becomes compromised causing the ELECTRICAL SHORT.

I phoned Whirlpool the maker of the Maytag Stainless Steel Dishwasher for assistance, all they offered was a "repair plan" in excess of $300.00. I purchased this supposedly quality American Made Whirlpool product as well as a range, microwave, washer and dryer in the spirit of supporting US labor. Now I'm stuck with a dishwasher that has an ELECTRICAL SHORT, possibly a FIRE HAZARD and Whirlpool trying to milk me for more money. Please think twice before purchasing anything from this Michigan based company.

Original review: April 3, 2017

We bought a new dishwasher 2 years ago. Top of the line Maytag Model #MDB8959SBW3 $749 plus tax. We bought this one because they told us what a great 10 year warranty it had. Found out that is a lie. The only thing the 10 year warranty covers is the stainless steel tub, the racks and chopper blade. The stop button on the control panel (circuit board) quit working and the dishwasher wouldn't start. When I called Maytag they said "So sorry. It broke so soon, but that is not covered".

We were told by a repair shop that Maytag has had nothing but problems with their control panel and the control panel part alone is $150 plus tax plus installation. Our old Maytag lasted 13 years and was still running great, but needed to be replaced because the racks were rusting out. I wish I would have kept the old one. I will never buy Maytag again since it is now made by Whirlpool. If Maytag is having so many problems with their control panel, they should be recalling them.

Original review: April 3, 2017

I bought a Maytag Bravos washing machine from Lowe's in Ocala in Feb 2017. It broke in March 2017. I was referred to a company called Fields Appliance in Orlando Fl. I scheduled a repair under warranty last Friday between 1-4 pm. No one showed up. No one called. I called and called and nothing. BEWARE.

Original review: March 29, 2017

I would say you have plenty of options when choosing a color for your dishwasher. You can choose black or stainless. Try one today you won't be disappointed. I load plenty of dishes into the space. It has extra pockets for little things and it has plenty of hooks and hangers to use for bigger cycles. Kenmore Dishwasher runs great. Very efficient and cleans the tough stains better than any dishwasher I've ever used. I would recommend this to anyone looking to buy a dishwasher. Of all the dishwashers I researched at Lowe's and Home Depot and Sears and Ace and other local stores, the Maytag was the lowest price with all the features I wanted.

Original review: March 20, 2017

Thanks for the other reviews about the control panel problems... I too have the same issue with the short circuit. My Maytag dishwasher mdb7749sam1 was installed in January 2013. I spent an hour on the phone and the chat... HERE'S THE SOLUTION: When I told them the machine started in the middle of the night on its own, it became a safety issue. I have all the same problems as everyone else, flashing lights, the washer does not properly respond to the input from the control panel... I was told that even though it was out of warranty, "as a gesture of goodwill" Maytag is sending out an authorized repair service to fix whatever is wrong at no cost to me at all... Tells me that there really is an underlying issue. Anyway best of luck to anyone else in the same boat. I rated them as a 3 - not happy that this machine failed and I won't buy another, but they seemed to jump on fixing it...

Original review: March 4, 2017

I am about to replace the control panel on my Maytag dishwasher (MDB7749SAM1) for the second time since purchasing it in 2012. Additionally, I have replaced the door gasket twice, as it becomes loose and does not properly seal, causing water to leak from the door during the wash cycle. There are many documented complaints of corrosion on the control panel ribbon cable necessitating replacement of the entire unit. If there were a way to replace the ribbon cable instead of the entire panel, it might be a bit easier to swallow the repair expense.

Either way, it is ridiculous to have to spend almost 1/3 the original cost of the dishwasher to make it usable again, and twice in only 5 years time! My previous dishwasher was 30 years old and still functioning (though noisily) when I replaced it with this expensive lemon. I have not contacted Maytag, as it is not in warranty, however, it seems that a major appliance should last longer than a couple of years without issues.

Maytag expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Acquired by Whirlpool in 2006, the Maytag brand is one known for dependability. With more than 100 years of experience in the home appliance space, Maytag is a familiar brand.

• Built-in disposal: Never deal with clogs when using a Maytag dishwasher with a built-in chopper. It cleans its own filter and reduces food to particles small enough for any drainpipe.

• Easy shopping: With only four different models, it won't take long to find the one that best fits your needs.

• Extended warranty: While some manufacturers only cover specific parts for 10 years, Maytag offers a more extensive policy that includes parts for the tub and door liner.

• Most powerful motor: Compared to other leading brands in the category, Maytag offers the most powerful motor.

• Sanitization option: In addition to the regular clean cycle, Maytag dishwashers also include an optional sanitization cycle that kills bacteria.

• Best for: Homeowners, businesses and families

www.maytag.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use