Maytag Dishwashers

Compare Dishwashers

Research top Dishwashers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Maytag Dishwasher MDB7749SBW3 - Control panel problem just like everyone else describes. Bought in Nov 2014... how disappointing!! My husband is sure he can fix it if I buy the part. I went online to order the control panel, and of course because I'm in Canada I can't ship the part directly from the website, I have to call the Canadian Sears Part Dept., it's about $200! As I came across all these reviews I am even contemplating if I should waste our time and money trying to fix this thing... Maytag never again!!!

Dishwasher MAYTAG MDB7749SBM - Have the same problem as everyone else, panel board. Initially lights randomly blinked, flashed etc, but still washed dishes. Now it has completely died. Dishwasher is 3 years old.

We 19 years and gently used. The door latch broke. We purchased a used quiet series Maytag dishwasher and found that the door latch failed on this. I recently found over 600 complaints for the same problem. If you are receiving this many complaints and it's one of your most frequent complaint, do you think it's time for a redesign of the door latch mechanic is??? Or are you relying on your reputation and don't care about quality anymore?

This is it for Maytag. I'm glad we didn't buy a new Maytag because we would be stuck again with a crappy door latch. If you can't be bothered with fixing your door latch issues and you know that you have a long term problem here, you at least can send a new door handle kit to those of us who are complaining. Of course you won't do that. And the only recourse I have as a consumer is to tell others about the ongoing problem with your front door latch on my social media. Sadly, you are now only another crappy dishwasher with no real quality control. I bought several appliances from you because of your reputation for appliances that last. Seems that is now a myth.

Dishwasher MDB7749SBM - Have the same problem as everyone else, panel board (2nd one, 1st was under warranty). This panel W10475787 is 2 years old. Keeps lighting up doing what it wants to do. Dishwasher is 3 years old. Can't find out if there is a recall on this part (there should be).

Bought DW 2 1/2 years ago. The control panel has a mind of its own, and today it will not even light up. How does a recall happen? I see lots of people having trouble with this model and others as well. A dishwasher should last much longer! Will never buy a Maytag again... and will recommend the same to my friends.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maytag?

Maytag Dishwasher model MDBH989AWB3. The dishwasher was purchased at Home Depot March 19, 2010 in Hollywood, FL; delivered to our new home April 16, 2010 in Brunswick, ME. My complaint is the exact same complaint as the previous 28 complaints! I think the reason our unit worked for 6 yrs is because it was in use only 6 months a year. My experience: you make your selection, two lights come on, you press start, but nothing happens. You think this is a simple repair. You read the manual and try their troubleshooting advice, but to no avail. When you contact the company, they tell you that this is going to be an expensive repair, probably over $500.

You contact Home Depot who want nothing to do with you or your dead dishwasher. Their advice: contact the Maytag company. You contact local appliance repairmen and they will repair it at a cost of over $500. You offer the unit to the repairman for free; he declines. He suggests you check the online Consumer Affairs site. It is on that site that you realize the dead dishwasher belongs where one brings other dead things: the dump. I will NEVER buy another Maytag product. I would suggest no one else does either, unless you want to practice your skills in dealing with frustration or you want to throw $693.40 to the wind and watch it flit away helplessly. Thank you for reading this.

Had this model MDB7749SBM1 for almost 3 years and paid over $700 for it. Thought I was purchasing a good machines. The last few months the control panel pops out and away from the front door panel. Do get it back. You have to unscrew the panel from the door. Inside is all plastic and broken. How can it be broken when it is an area never touched. Every time you open the door after a wash it pops out again. To get it repaired will cost too much. It is a badly designed unit which should have a latch instead of just pulling out.

I am so disappointed and will think twice before buying Maytag. I have never had luck with any Maytag dishwasher lasting. At this point I don't know whether to just buy another brand or glue it. We are not keeping our home so I don't want to invest money. Awful machine and I see it is discontinued so there are a lot of complaints. Thanks for sticking us Maytag.

I purchased a Maytag Dishwasher #MDB7749SBM1 as part of a complete kitchen remodel less than 3 years ago. Maytag was a great product years ago so I thought I would switch from GE to Maytag thinking that I had purchased a quality set that would give me years of great service! What a bad choice to say the least! This dishwasher has never dried the dishes completely with heated dry option. I never cared for the plastic latch and metal catch option either since I caught water dripping from the bottom since the door must not have been completely shut even though the latch was secure.

Most recently, the start option on the flat control panel will not work. After opening and closing door multiple times I can get the start option to light up and run the cycle. Added bonus to start option not working correctly is that when the dishwasher door is shut, it automatically runs hours later with no human interaction. The dishwasher lights were lit up like a Christmas tree at 7 am this morning and running a cycle. Guess it thought the dishes weren't clean enough. I am going to price out a board and determine whether I will throw this piece of crap in the dumpster and find a different brand! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU DON'T BUY A MAYTAG DISHWASHER!

We purchased a full house of Maytag appliances to support American Made (ourselves). It is very disappointing that our Maytag dishwasher Model # MBD 89595BW3 has completely quit functioning properly. All the lights came on and nothing worked after that. We contacted Maytag and was told to turn off the power and restart after 2 minutes which did absolutely nothing. No problem - try again. Again, nothing. The disappointment is compounded by the fact that this dishwasher is only 2 years 7 months old. It is too bad that an American Made product didn't last long enough to show any wear and tear. Investigation to repair resulted in cost prohibitive investment. So sorry Maytag, we gave it a shot. Moving on to a more "reliable" rated brand.

We bought our Maytag dishwasher at Sears about 2 years ago. It has never cleaned very well, we have to rinse everything almost to the point of spotless before we load it. It's a "water saver", which means it takes more than 4 hours to fully cycle. Just today, I went to turn it on and the start button does not work. I looked it up and found that this is a common problem with new Maytag washers. This is really irritating, considering we paid a lot more for the Maytag brand than we would have paid for something without the Maytag reputation. Live and learn, I guess; we certainly will not be buying another Maytag.

I am writing this because I received an offer for a protection plan today in the mail. I purchased a Maytag dishwasher on from Home Depot. I had to have the control panel (motherboard) replaced a month after purchase to failed again approx. a year later. I still own this dishwasher (MDB7749SBB) but only used it off and on 2 of the first 10 year - have not used since. Well kids are in college and my next purchase will not be a Maytag. The wife and I lost all confidence in this product.

I purchased my Maytag MDB7749AWM2 dishwasher approximately 3 years ago. Since it was stainless inside and out I felt that I was making a long-lasting purchase. The handle on this particular model doesn't have a latch release button. You are actually just pulling the door open. That would be fine if they had used something besides plastic on the control panel cover where the handle is built into. The control panel is only held together with plastic pieces that the screws go into.

After only a couple of years of pulling on this the plastic parts holding the screws have all broken causing my control panel to just flash. My husband is a maintenance engineer and upon taking the screws out couldn't believe with such a high quality machine that they had used plastic in the main place where they needed strength. The wiring was cut so short to the control panel that one of the plugs had come undone when the cover began separating. I only need the plastic cover because my control panel is working fine but of course you have to buy the entire control unit which is $150.

I purchased Maytag because I thought they represented a reputable American company but I was very wrong. When I contacted Maytag about the problem they were very unconcerned and just gave me a link where I could purchase the part. When I told them it would be my last Maytag product they didn't even have a comment. Giving Made in America a bad name.

I purchased a Maytag dishwasher on Nov. 5, 2013 from Fred's Appliance. I had to have the control panel fixed twice and it failed again in June 1916. My stemware had a film on it and I either had to wash it by hand or rinse it in hot water and dry by hand. Thus I felt like how could my other dishes not have this film on them even though I faithfully used Finish. I have 2 daughters who live within a half mile of me and they did not have this trouble with their dishwashers. I always felt Maytag was a top brand, but I replaced my 3 year old Maytag with a Whirlpool that my daughter and her family of 4 used for 19 years. Guess what... my glasses come out sparkling without using Finish and they wash in half the time and are dry!

We bought a Maytag Dishwasher Model # MDB4709AWW4 about 2 years ago. Complete piece of junk. Just spent $350 on a new control panel. We called Maytag and they told us that our model wasn't under the recall for this issue. The old belief about the Maytag repairman not being busy is a lie. Avoid their products. They are poor quality.

The control panel and the electronic control box had to be replaced after only two years of use. It cost almost as much as a new dishwasher (492 dollars). The model of the Maytag dishwasher is MDB77479SBM3. This dishwasher looks good from the outside and runs quite but the electronics are cheap and can't stand heat without melting. My wife and I are retired and only used this washer about twice per week. It looks good, cost 650 bucks and it is a pile of junk. No more Maytag in our house. We had this machine installed in July of 2014... It crapped out in July of 2016.

We purchased a Maytag MDB7749SBWO Maytag dishwasher. Suddenly the control panel does not work. Trying to find out why I found that there are thousands of complaints about this known defect with water and steam getting in and corroding the control panel. Shame on Maytag for continuing to sell these without fixing the problem. I expected my dishwasher to last many years based on the Maytag reputation instead I need to replace it. I am not going to spend the money on a repair with a machine that will have the same problem again according to other consumers.

I have only had this Maytag dishwasher for 2 years. My control panel has gone crazy! The child lock is blinking and I never touched it. I have tried to clear it by touching the heated dry button for 3 seconds, every once in a while it will clear. It eventually will start blinking again on child lock. I did research and have found out that I'm not the only one that is having this problem. I now have to get it fixed.

The 2013 Maytag dishwasher panel broke 13 months after the purchase. After several phone calls and complaints they agreed to replace the panel at no charge. Since yesterday I have the same problem and need them to replace this washer. I am on a limited SS income and I am not in a position to purchase another washer after 3 yrs. My previous one lasted almost 15 yrs. This is totally unfair and I hope that Maytag replaces this entire machine, not just another repair. It will cost them a lot less to do that by either sending or having LOWE'S to replace this one. Thank you so much.

Updated on 09/16/2016: Maytag is asking $300 to fix it and they will not replace it. So, by coincidence a friend of mine had the same problem and she did the following and I repeated these steps and now dishwasher is working. Turn off the switch or unplug, or turn off from the circuit box, your dishwasher. This cuts off electricity to the washer totally. Wait 30 seconds. Push the "cancel" button and hold on pressing it for 30 seconds (precisely, not less). Push then, the "start" button and hold on for 30 seconds again. Turn on the power and the cancel light will come on and let the cycle finish do not touch anything, until it is turned off and the light goes off by itself. Then, choose your selection for washing push start and see if it works. It did with mine and hers. Good luck and LADIES- YOU CAN DO IT, if this little old woman did it by herself.

Purchased a new Maytag dishwasher just under 1 year ago. After a 5 months it started not working. We called the dealer - who gave us a number to call because it was under warranty. We called the number and it took days to get someone to "look at it" and not fix it. It needed a new part. It's been over a week now and we haven't heard anything, and still no working dishwasher. Our last two dishwashers lasted over 18 years. Kenmore and Whirlpool, never had any issues. This is our first Maytag. Service has been snail pace slow. Don't buy a Maytag dishwasher unless you want to spend your life washing dishes.

It failed only four years after purchase. Replaced the control panel/ touch pad and in 2 years that failed... Why hasn't anyone filed a class action suit against Maytag for shoddy design?

I purchased a Maytag dishwasher four years ago and it has been serviced six times in those four years. Not just small things, main parts. Control board twice, control panel twice, and cleaning terribly the other two. They replaced the control board once and then would not do anything after that. I just got it replaced four years into this nightmare only because I bought a Sears home warranty plan and they are replacing it. I would never buy a Maytag appliance ever again.

Note:This is in response to a very poor customer service experience with Maytag about a dishwasher purchased. We bought a Maytag dishwasher 19 years ago, and we used it nearly every day without any problems. Recently the plastic retainer for the door spring broke. The retainer should have been made of metal, but that is another story. After 19 years of use we thought that maybe it would be wise to just replace the machine. After all, 19 years without troubles is pretty good. Based on our good experience with the old machine, we purchased a new Maytag (model MDB4949SDH, serial no. F53506533) that appeared to be similar to, or slightly better than, the old one. That was a gross mistake which I regret bitterly. We should have just repaired the old machine. However, the Maytag dealer did not allow returns. Small wonder.

When we use a dishwasher, any dishwasher, we remove virtually all foods and hardened materials from dishes before placing them in the machine. We use the machine for final cleaning and sanitizing. We have never, ever used a rinse aid, because the local city water is not hard and it leaves almost no residue. A rinse aid is never needed. During the drying cycle of the old machine a fan turned on to discharge the internal steam out of the machine through a vent in the door. It worked well. We could see the steam come out.

One would think that an engineer, supposedly educated in multiple areas of physical science, would understand that at a given pressure and temperature there is an equilibrium between liquid water and vaporized water, and that only so much liquid water can evaporate into the provided volume of air space. To put that more plainly, not all of the water on the wet contents of the dishwasher can evaporate into the limited interior of the dishwasher, so the contents remain wet.

The only solution is to provide for a removal of the steam by way of a fan and a vent, which the old dishwasher did have. Evidently the new machine does not have such a provision. No fan can be heard, and no steam can be seen escaping. However, when we open the door, steam comes billowing out. The water vapor condenses on any surface available, both on the tub and the dishes. Thus, you get wet dishes. The only solution is to open the door, let the steam come gushing out, and then leave the door open for a considerable time so that the hot, wet dishes can dry without being surrounded by the steam that would prevent drying.

The holes in the bottom of the tableware baskets are large enough to allow the handles of the utensils to fall through. We can't use the new baskets. We did not have that problem with the basket in the old machine. We have had to salvage the tableware basket from the old dishwasher to use in the new machine. Trying to use the basket covers on the new baskets to hold the utensils is an aggravation and limits the capacity of the basket, and placing the utensils in the baskets with the handle up would hinder free flow of the detergent solution and decrease the effectiveness of the washing process. I think that is a poor option. Even Maytag recommends placing the handles down if possible.

One might also point out the profound inaccuracy of the digital clock on the dishwasher. For example, if you select normal wash and heated dry, the clock will say that 2 hrs 37 min are required. A reliable kitchen timer measures it at around 2 hours, an error of approximately 23 percent. That does not affect the performance of the washer but for a $600 machine I expect better. Added note: When releasing the steam to then continue the "drying process" the steam nearly burns the user each time. Maytag won't replace it or refund money. They did not respond to the complaint outside of a "we like our design, live with it" attitude when we contacted them on social media.

We purchased a high end Maytag Dishwasher from Lowe's just 2 years ago. Within a year the machine was turning itself on, beeping for no reason, and eventually the functions on the control panel stopped working. When I called Lowe's they gave me a number for a repairman who informed me that the cost of a new control panel would be $514 and it's a known issue with moisture getting into the control panel. This is unacceptable. There are hundreds of complaints and a class action lawsuit regarding this issue and yet Maytag has done nothing to remedy this situation. I am forced to purchase a new dishwasher and I will never purchase another Maytag product.

We purchased all new appliances 3 years ago including a Maytag dishwasher. Same problem as a lot of others. We had the control board fail three times in just four months. Now today the repairman came and while he was here contacted other Sears technicians and Whirlpool technicians. They came up with the idea to replace the detergent dispenser which they said is causing the main control board to fail. However, while the tech was on the line with Sears and Whirlpool they done troubleshooting on the detergent dispenser and found that it was all within specifications. In fact, that was not a problem because it worked as it should. But in their wisdom they decided to replace the detergent dispenser.

We now have to wait another ten days for the part to arrive and reschedule another appointment to have the detergent dispenser that works replaced. The serviceman that was at our house said that they are making him replace a part that is working and that this does not need to be done but he has to take instructions from Sears technicians. Our service person said that he doesn't anticipate that replacing the detergent dispenser will make the dishwasher work but he said if it does it will only last a few weeks as before and then fail once again. We have the dishwasher on extended warranty and there are about 22 months. I suspect that this one will be going to court to get resolved. Never Maytag again or Whirlpool.

I purchased our Maytag Dishwasher in 2014 (Model # MDB77495B) and after a little over a year, of course after the warranty had expired the panel started to act up. I did get it repaired costing over $300 for parts and service thinking all is well. The repairman that came out had to come out twice once to look at and then again to fix after the part came in. We had a conversation and he said that was common with this brand, the steam sometimes affects the panel. I spoke with Maytag about getting an extended warranty but after looking at the cost passed on it. Well now the panel is acting up again. If Maytag thinks I am going to have another repairman come out well think again. I will see how much the part cost and do it myself if it cheap enough, if not I guess I'll be back to washing dishes by hand for awhile.

I bought this brand feeling that it was American made and the cost was on the expensive side that it would last. I am disappointed that this has happened again. For the money spent it should last at least 10 years. My old dishwasher that was given to me used lasted over 15 years with not one problem. It's a shame we cannot get good working appliances as we did back in the day.

We purchased a Maytag dishwasher, Model #MDB7749, in the belief that it was a quality product. Many initial reviews were positive. Unfortunately, that decision was a mistake. The washer is only three years old and the control panel has failed. We are unable to select wash cycles. It defaults to Auto Clean/Heated Dry only. The washer has been lightly used.

An online search found numerous complaints for control panel problems with this Maytag dishwasher. Please check ConsumerAffairs, Amazon, or Maytag's own Facebook (Maytag was forced to create the Facebook page in 2010 under a mandate from the Consumer Product Safety Commission after a recall of dishwashers for fire hazards) before making any decision to buy a Maytag/Whirlpool appliance. It would also be wise to purchase an extended warranty.

Our Whirlpool clothes washer failed after 5 years (bearings + controls). We can't afford to replace a major appliance every three to five years. The estimated cost to repair the dishwasher is $300 - $400. Maytag/Whirlpool customer service is indifferent to helping its customers. It's disappointing to see a "made in America" company produce such poor quality products and not support them.

I purchased this dishwasher from Sears in July of 2013. Barely 3 years ago. The last few months the controls have been acting odd. The control lock would automatically just turn on at odd times. Yesterday when I hit 'normal' cycle it went to a different cycle and had many other options lit. It would not start. Finally it went dark, no lights, no nothing. I see many people have had these types of issues with this type of Maytag dishwasher. Disappointing. A dishwasher should last longer than 3 years. Sears said they would send a repairman out but it would have been minimum $200 after it was all said and done. I'd rather own a non-Maytag dishwasher so we went and bought a different brand.

We have a Maytag Dishwasher Model MDBH949AWB. We have purchased the extended warranty. Today, after more than 100 minutes on the phone, mostly on hold, we were unable to schedule an appointment to replace the control board, or even have them verify that we have extended warranty coverage. It generally took many many minutes to get a person, only to be referred to a different person at a different number. Nobody had "access" to our extended warranty info, and to go further into getting a repair scheduled, they said they needed that info. I finally went on their website, and after keying in extensive information, I got a screen saying they were having trouble with their website, and to please try again later. So I did their "chat," and ultimately they told me to call 866-730-6094.

The earlier numbers I called, in sequence, were 866-576-1660 (53 minutes on hold); then told to call 866-265-0029, for another long hold. And then told to call 800-626-4342. Long hold, and I hung up. At one point, I think the second person I actually spoke with gave me an "incident number" of **. My "extended warranty" expires in Feb. of 2017, and they even asked me to renew early. Since the warranty seems totally worthless, why would I do that? Terrible customer service. Won't do business with Maytag ever again, and am warning others not do so either.

A dishwasher was on sale $500 and stopped working in under two years. It was a stainless steel Maytag. No one will help service it, and it seems unreal that a dishwasher should break down so very quickly. To not already work in under two years is astounding.

Purchased Maytag Dishwasher Model MDB7749SBW3 in April 2014 along with other Maytag appliances to go into our home in the Georgia Mountains. Purchased Maytag for 2 reasons: 1. American made 2. Reputation. Bottom line, after just 2 years the dishwasher has failed. I prewash by hand everything that goes in. First the "normal cycle" stopped working. Then lights on front panel would randomly turn on and dishwasher would turn on by itself, and run for hours. I suspect this could be a fire hazard. I have tried front panel resets, cycling power, etc. Nothing works... It is really sad that American products are third world. I will replace the board myself in hopes of getting another couple of years out of it. No more Maytag for me. Rest assured every time I see someone in Home Depot or Lowe's, looking at Maytag appliances, I will go out of my way to warn them.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Acquired by Whirlpool in 2006, the Maytag brand is one known for dependability. With more than 100 years of experience in the home appliance space, Maytag is a familiar brand.

• Built-in disposal: Never deal with clogs when using a Maytag dishwasher with a built-in chopper. It cleans its own filter and reduces food to particles small enough for any drainpipe.
  • Easy shopping: With only four different models, it won't take long to find the one that best fits your needs.
  • Extended warranty: While some manufacturers only cover specific parts for 10 years, Maytag offers a more extensive policy that includes parts for the tub and door liner.
  • Most powerful motor: Compared to other leading brands in the category, Maytag offers the most powerful motor.
  • Sanitization option: In addition to the regular clean cycle, Maytag dishwashers also include an optional sanitization cycle that kills bacteria.
  • Best for Homeowners, businesses and families